Actions

Work Header

Signs

Summary:

When she was 12 years old, Kara was in a car accident that killed both of her parents.

Since that day she hasn't spoken a word.

Working as a librarian in National City, Kara meets Lena Luthor, and as much as she wants to talk to her, she still can't make her voice work.

Chapter 1

Notes:

This is my first fic, please be nice.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Chapter Text

            It was quiet in the library as Kara pushed the trolley down the aisle, placing books back onto their shelves as she went.

 

            The sound of the automatic door opening broke the silence, followed but the clicking heels as the latest person walked towards the cluster of computers in the middle of the room.

 

            As she walked between the rows of shelves, reshelving the books still on the trolley, Kara caught glimpses of long, dark hair, and slender hands typing away at a keyboard.

 

            Pushing the trolley back behind the counter, Kara sat back down at her desk. As she picked at her lunch, she catalogued the latest shipment of books into the library’s database. She looked up as the dark haired girl at the computer stood up and walked over to the business section.

 

            The girl was elegantly dressed, and Kara watched her as she walked, taking notice of her long, pale legs.

 

            Spinning around in her chair, Kara made herself busy with some paperwork and tried to ignore the clicking sound the girl’s heels were making as she wandered up and down the aisles.

 

            Immersed in her paperwork, Kara didn’t hear the footsteps make their way towards her until the gentle thud, of books being placed on the counter, broke her concentration.

 

            She spun her chair around to face the person standing on the other side of the desk. It was the girl again, standing behind a stack of books, with a smile playing at the corners of her mouth.

 

            “Hi, I’d like to borrow these books please,” she said, holding out her membership card. Kara took the card and scanned the barcode, bringing up the woman’s profile on her computer.

 

            Lena Luthor.

 

            That was her name.

 

            Kara handed her back her card and took the first book off the top of the pile. Electroanalytical Chemistry. Kara raised her eyebrows in surprise. The rest of the books also surprised her: physics, computer programming, business and economics.

 

            She placed the last book back on top and gave Lena a smile.

 

            Lena thanked her and picked up her pile of books, and with a smile, walked towards the front door. Kara watched her leave, and blushed when Lena looked back at her before opening the door.

 

---

 

            That night, at Alex’s place, Kara couldn’t stop thinking about a pair of piercing green eyes, and a smirk playing at the corner of a pair of lips.

 

            “Kara?” Alex’s voice cut through her daydreaming.

 

            Kara shook herself out of it, and turned to look at Alex, giving her a questioning look. Alex rolled her eyes and repeated her question.

 

            “How was work today?”

 

            Kara smiled at her sister, and flashed her a quick ‘OK’ with her thumb and index finger, once again thinking about Lena Luthor. As she picked up another slice of pizza she wondered when she would see her next.