Actions

Work Header

Runaway Guide 3 - The Resistance

Chapter Text

Alpha Prime Graham Miller’s office

***

“Thanks for coming in Jim,” Graham said as he came around his desk and offered his hand to his hive brother, “I have a bit of a problem, and I hope you can solve it for me.”

“I’ll do what I can,” Jim said, “What’s the problem?”

“We found a Mindwalker,” Graham told him, “but her Sentinel will only stay in Cascade if we can make her comfortable. I was wondering if you could put them up at the nesting house?”

“I have a pretty full house right now,” Jim said, “Major McGee and his Guide are bunking with us for a few days, but I think we can deal with a beta. Getting a Mindwalker is worth a little inconvenience.”

“The Sentinel’s not a beta,” Graham said, knowing it was a possible deal breaker. “He’s an alpha, used to be a Ranger, maybe you know him, Clint Barton.” Graham hoped the Ranger link would tip the scales in favor of Jim saying yes.

“Barton,” Jim said, surprised mixed with curiosity. “I know the family by reputation. They’re a long line of military Sentinels. Why would a Barton choose a Mindwalker for a Guide?”

“It was an accidental bond,” Miller said. “Long story short: Barton lost his Guide in the line of duty. He volunteered for a Guide rescue mission. The Mindwalker was badly wounded in the raid. Barton was distraught about losing another Guide on his watch, even though she was dying she somehow picked up on his distress and sent him healing energy. She didn’t die; the healing bond didn’t fade. He told his Alpha Prime he would have gone rogue if he hadn’t claimed her.”

Jim thought of Xander the first day they met and how he had comforted Blair in spite of the fear he was feeling about being claimed by a strange Sentinel. “Xander would have done the same thing,” Jim said. “So would Blair, I’ve had to pull him off a healing more than once when he was exhausted. He always argues. Nothing is more important to a healer then taking away another’s pain.”

“Can you put them up, Jim?” Miller asked. “I’d do it myself, but she was held for six months by the bastards and given the same mindwipe drugs they gave Xander. She has brain damage and PTSD. Riley has needs; I can’t deny my Guide.” Miller sighed and then look into Jim’s eyes, “If her PTSD is triggered by my relationship with Riley we’d lose our Mindwalker.”

Jim knew Riley was a submissive Guide and needed his Sentinel to be his master. He understood Graham’s concerns, but he had concerns of his own. “There’s Spike to be considered too.” Jim said, “If Barton feels a strong pull to him...You know what the consequences of that can be.”

“McGee is staying with you, can he channel it off?”

“Abby is as possessive of McGee as Xander is of Spike,” Jim said. “I’ll talk to them, and we’ll give it a try. Abby’s got a big heart; she’ll understand what the Mindwalker is going through. But you do know this thing can go sour pretty damn fast?”

“I know,” Graham said, “But we need a Mindwalker, we’re not going to find the missing Guides or find the bastards that took them without one. I’ll talk to Peter, If there is a problem and Peter is willing to do Sentinel-to-Sentinel bond with Barton, I won’t stand in the way, but I’m not going to order it either.”

“Understood,” Jim said.

@@@@@@

Later that day at the Ellison Nesting house

***

“I told Graham I’d talk to you about letting Sentinel Barton and his Guide stay with us,” Jim said. “ I believe if we want to make this work we’ll have to invoke the ritual and welcome him into the pack. It will make all of us feel more at ease, and there'll be less chance of us losing our Mindwalker. We can’t do it unless everyone agrees. If not I’ll ask Graham to put them up in a safe house.”

“What about Willow?” Xander asked. “I don’t want to give up on her.”

“We’re not,” Spike said as he gave comforting strokes to Xander’s arm, “But we don’t know if or when she’ll escape, and even if she does get out we can’t openly use her.”

“Spike’s right,” McGee said. “The first time we try to use Willow’s testimony to get a warrant, she’ll be arrested and taken back to W.G. But I do have a question. Can I even be part of the pack ceremony? Technically I’m a member of Gib’s pack. ”

“You’re a hive member, by extension that makes you a member of our pack and Graham’s pack,” Jim said. “Are you in?”

“I’m in,” McGee said.

“What about you Abby?” Blair asked, “Can you let Tim help if Sentinel Barton feels a pull to Spike?”

“I don’t want a Sentinel thinking he can claim my Tim,” Abby said.

“I promise,” Jim said, “If we have a claiming problem either Peter will step in, or we’ll move them to a safe house.”

“Okay then,” Abby said and cuddled up even tighter to her Sentinel.

“More than life, Abby Sciuto ” Tim said as he nuzzled Abby’s neck,

“More than life, Timothy McGee,” Abby answered as she stroked his hair.

“Xanman?” Jim asked.

“I’ll do my best to keep it together,” Xander said, “I think with all of you here I won’t end up trying to kill him if he feels a pull to Spike. But you shouldn’t just assume I won’t let Spike have a Sentinel-to-Sentinel bond to him if it comes to that. Claiming him for his own... That’s a deal breaker.”

“It’s a deal breaker for me too,” Jim said.

“I’m proud of you Love,” Spike told Xander. “No one’s going to take me away from you. We’ll find a way to make it work. We always do.”

“Blair?” Jim asked.

“You know I'm in,” Blair said. “No one knows better than our pack what this Sentinel and his Guide have been through. I think we can make them feel at home.”

“Peter’s going to pick them up at the airport,” Jim said. “I’ll give him a call.”

“After you call we need to go get a nest-in-a-bag, they sell them at Sleep-Ease,” Blair said. “We can’t expect them to sleep on the floor.”

@@@@@@

Marshal’s Plane on the way to Cascade

***

Sentinel Marshal Clint Barton looked at his Guide sleeping peacefully in a reclined airplane seat. White noise always made her very sleepy, and the roar of jet engines was no exception.

He sighed as he watched her. Ever since his first Guide, Ray, died in the line of duty, he felt as if his life had become a leaf tossed in the wind. He had a strong feeling that this trip to Cascade was destined to become a hurricane. The West Coast Headquarters for the Agency of Sentinel Affairs was in Cascade as well as the largest Guide school in the country. That meant the office building they would be working in would have lots of Sentinels. He had had to transfer out of the Ranger Corps because they couldn’t accept him claiming an unsuitable Mindwalker as a Guide. He understood their concern. Every Ranger and Guide had everyone’s back when working in the field. They depended on each other for their lives. They couldn’t trust her which meant they no longer trusted him. No Alpha in his right mind would claim a Mindwalker as his Guide, much less one that had been declared unsuitable. Whether it was true or not that his Guide was unsuitable, that was the perception, so he did what he had to do. He did his duty to his Guide. He resigned from the Rangers and transferred into the Marshal’s Service.

In many ways, the Marshal’s service was the best move possible. Clint worked with Sweet as his partner. He decided to call his Guide Sweet because of the taste and scent of her Guide pheromones, and he sure as hell wasn’t going to call her 923. Their assignment was to monitor and manage the witnesses in the witness protection program. He wasn’t partnered with any other Sentinels, so that whole can of worms was avoided. It was an easy job, too easy for a Sentinel of his caliber, but it was his duty to take care of his Guide, and it was a way for him to serve.

Occasionally they would be assigned to a team to track down a fugitive. That’s the work he found most rewarding. At first, the other Sentinels did not like having a Mindwalker on the recovery team, but Alpha Prime Gerard did not tolerate any lack of focus in the field, and a Mindwalker came in handy when there were persons of interest to be questioned. So the Sentinels quietly, but grudgingly, accepted Sweet’s assignment...until the incident.

@@@@@@@

Fugitive Recovery Assignment

***

The fugitive, Robert Dunn, had been holed up in a girlfriend's apartment when the Marshals closed in. Dunn escaped through a window and ran into the woods behind the apartment complex. The Marshals followed, but Sweet was ordered to stay behind and guard the cars. It was a common assignment for her, and if Dunn did circle back, she would let them know by radio and stay out of danger.

Sweet opened her empathic perception and scanned for any emotions that Dunn was broadcasting. It was easy for her to find his ‘station.' The Rangers emotions were controlled and focused on tracking Dunn. Dunn’s emotions were churning and chaotic. She knew he was doubling back when she felt a touch of smug amusement enter his emotions. She got out of sight and radioed the Marshals. Dunn tried to hot wire one of the Marshal’s cars so Sweet came out to stop him. She was a double X empath, and she had an extra talent, she was not only a healer but also a breaker. She was very good at breaking anything electrical, or metal and cars were both so she walked over to the Marshal’s SUV, took off one of the gloves she always wore in the field, and put her hand on the hood just as the engine turned over. The engine stopped.

Dunn tried again to get the car to start, but now he couldn’t even get a spark from the wires. He popped his head up to look for another vehicle to hot wire and saw Sweet standing with her hand on the hood.

“I suggest you give up,” Sweet told Dunn looking him in the eyes. “You’re not going to get away.”

At the moment their eyes met Dunn had a choice, fight or flight. He would have run if he could, but he was trapped in the car, and then he heard the Marshal’s running toward him. His flight was cut off, so he jumped out of the car and charged Sweet. He pulled her to him and held his gun to her head.

The Marshals stopped. Sweet lifted her hand and touched the gun. “This gun will do you no good,” she said calmly, in a voice she knew all the Sentinels could hear. “It’s jammed, if you try to shoot it, it will explode, and you’ll lose half your hand.”

“Nice try, bitch,” Dunn said and then yelled to the marshals, “Get back or I’ll kill the bitch.”

“No you won't,” Sweet said, “there is nothing more useless than a dead hostage.” Sweet looked up and made eye contact with Clint. “I’m telling the truth, the gun is jammed.”

At that moment Clint knew Sweet was telling the truth and he charged Dunn. The other marshals followed. Dunn pointed the gun at Clint and pulled the trigger, then he screamed as the gun exploded and two fingers were ripped away.

Sweet was covered with blood spray. Clint grabbed her leaving the other marshals to take care of Dunn. He could smell Dunn’s blood, but mixed in with it was the scent of Guide blood. “She’s wounded” he screamed as blessed protector syndrome hit, “call an ambulance.”

Sweet had never before been the trigger of BPS, but she had learned how to handle it in Guide school. She centered herself and sent calming energy to Clint; it had little effect. He was frantic to find the source of the scent of Guide blood.

When the ambulance got there, Gerard rode with them to the hospital. “How did you know the gun would explode?” He asked; he needed to know.

Sweet knew there was no use lying to a Sentinel, so she told him the truth. “I asked it not to shoot,” She said. “It told me it would explode.”

Every Sentinel sense Gerard had told him the Guide was telling the truth, but it still seemed unbelievable. “You talked to the gun?” he asked trying to make sense out of what had just happened.

“I communicated with it,” she corrected him.

“And it volunteered to explode?” Gerard asked.

“It didn’t like Dunn,” Sweet said in a matter of fact way.

“Gun’s have feelings?”

Sweet shrugged.

“That’s pretty damn spooky Sweet,” Gerard told her, “I don’t know if I can wrap my mind around that.”

“Everything is sentient in it’s own way,” Sweet told him. “Once you understand that all the rest just falls into place.”

The hospital found a deep cut from shrapnel along Sweet’s left jaw line. They cleaned her up and glued the cut closed. Clint questioned them about using glue instead of stitches, but the doctors said glue would leave a less noticeable scar.

After that the attitude of the Sentinel Marshal’s toward Sweet changed, they no longer doubted her abilities or commitment to her responsibilities as a Guide and a member of the Marshal’s Service. The Marshals began calling her Spooky Sweet behind her back, but there was a degree of respect in the nickname so she pretended she didn’t notice. In spite of their change of attitude they still didn’t invoke the ritual and grant Clint formal membership into their pack. Spooky Sweet was after all still a Mindwalker and they were still Alphas.

@@@@@@@

Marshal’s Plane

******

“Sweet, wake up,” Clint said, “we’ll be landing in Cascade in less than an hour.”

Sweet opened her eyes and stretched. “Okay,” she said as she brought the seat up to a sitting position.

“I have to scent mark you,” Clint told her, “We’re going to be staying with an Alpha and his Guide, He won’t let us in unless you’re scent marked, It’s a Sentinel thing.”

“Where?” she asked.

“You’re fine where you are,” Clint said.

Sweet reclined her seat as far as it would go and lifted her hips as the Sentinel knelt down and pulled off her shoes and pants and then he grabbed a pillow and slid it under Sweet's hips. She closed her eyes and centered herself for the pleasure she knew was to come, cunnilingus followed by intercourse. Renewing their bond or scent marking was always the same unless you counted the times when the Sentinel needed to re-pattern her body. But that wasn’t done for pleasure. It was done to satisfy the Sentinel’s need. Their bond was based on need, duty, and respect, not love. Sweet would not let herself wallow in self-pity over the lack of love, she was treated with respect and considered it a blessing to be claimed at all.

@@@@@@

On the Ground in Cascade

***

Peter smiled and walked forward offering his hand when the Sentinel and his Guide entered the small private airport terminal. “Welcome to Cascade Sentinel Barton,” Peter said. “I’m Sentinel Prime Peter Wall; this is my Guide, Wesley. I’ll be driving you to Sentinel Jim Ellison’s home. Do you have any more luggage?”

“No, this is it,” Clint said as he shook Peter’s hand. A warm, pleasant feeling entered Clint’s hand and climbed his arm as they greeted each other. Clint was surprised by the sensation; it felt similar to the energy he felt when touching Sweet, but also different. It was certainly like nothing he had ever before felt from a Sentinel.

Wesley walked over to Sweet and smiled. “I’ll take your luggage,” he said looking her in the eyes.

Sweet opened her awareness and let the energy Wesley was giving off wash over her. She found that he was a strong Guide and a rock for his Sentinel. He genuinely wanted her to feel welcomed. Sweet smiled back and said “Thank you,” as she handed him her suitcase.

@@@@@@

In the car on the way to the Ellison House

******

“Jim asked me to fill you in about his pack,” Peter said as he started to pull out of the parking space. “Jim is the Sentinel Liaison Officer for the Cascade area. He is a police detective currently assigned to the Guide Abductions Task Force. His Guide is Blair Sandburg. Jim has a second, Sentinel Detective William Spikeman; he goes by Spike. His Guide is Xander Harris. They are currently on medical leave. Xander is still recovering from an abduction. Blair and Xander are cross bonded with both Ellison and Spikeman. It is a true bond, and both the Sentinels and the Guides will act that way, they are a nesting pack. The thing you most need to be aware of is Xander. He was given an overdose of a sedative, and it’s left him with brain damage. He has trouble controlling his emotions. He is Guide protective of Jim and possessive of Spike. If Xander warns you away from Spike move away. If he challenges you ignore it, Spike will take care of Xander.”

“Guides don’t challenge Sentinels,” Clint said.

“Xander challenged Alpha Prime Graham Miller,” Peter told him, “even though he is a member of the hive. Before Graham became a hive member, Xander tried to attack him.”

Clint took in a deep breath and blew it out. “Are you sure I should be staying with Ellison’s Pack?”

“It’s the safest house in Cascade for you and your Guide.” Peter Said.

“Don’t forget about the Major,” Wesley reminded him.

“Major Timothy McGee from NCSIA is staying with Jim temporarily,” Peter said. “He’s setting up the task force. His Guide is Abby Scuito. She is very intelligent and Guide possessive of McGee they are also members of the hive.”

“So Jim, as head of the household and Liaison Officer is the highest-ranking Sentinel followed by Major McGee, I’d be third in rank, and Spikeman is the lowest rank?” Clint asked knowing that getting the hierarchy straight is important when an Alpha Sentinel goes into another Alpha’s territory.

“Not quite,” Peter answered. “Jim is the head of the household, followed in rank by Spike, then comes Major McGree, you’d be the lowest rank in the house. In the field, of course, you’d be right about rank unless it directly involved one of the Guides in the hive being abducted. In that case hive Sentinels would defer to Spike.”

“You’d defer your rank to a police detective if your Guide were abducted,” Clint said in disbelief. “That doesn't sound like any Sentinel I know.”

“It’s hive business,” Pete told him. “The point is, don’t underestimate Spike. He has the respect and trust of every Sentinel in the hive. You may feel a strong pull to him, If you do, call me. I’ll take it away.”

Wesley handed Peter’s business card to Clint as Peter pulled up in front of Ellison’s house.

“There’s one more thing,” Peter said, turning in his seat and looking at Clint “Jim is going to invoke the ritual and bring you into the pack.”

“That’s not going to happen,” Clint scoffed. “I’m a strange Alpha bonded to a double X Guide that’s been declared unsuitable. He’s not going to offer me his Guides neck.

“He will,” Peter said, “If you’re not going to accept, tell me now, and I’ll take you to a safe house.”

“You said this is the safest house in Cascade for my Guide,” Clint said

“It is,” Peter answered.

“If he offers I’ll accept,” Clint said, “but I don’t think it’s going to happen, Alphas don’t bring Mindwalkers into their pack.”

“I’ll bet you a beer he does,” Peter said offering his hand.

“It’s a bet,” Clint said shaking on it.

@@@@@@

Ellison House

***

“Come in,” Jim said when he opened the door. “My word it’s safe.” Jim backed up to give the Sentinel space.

Clint walked in, his nostrils flared, taking in the scent of the three Sentinels and their marked Guides. Peter had prepared him for the mix of scent markings he would encounter. Knowing why the mix was there kept him from turning around and getting his Guide away from the strange house. He didn’t bother to sort out who had marked who. He sensed no danger so he turned to Sweet nodded permission for her to enter. She was followed by Wesley and Peter who closed the door behind them.

The Sentinels and their Guides stood in a semi-circle around the living room. Jim looked at Peter who nodded to let Jim know his plan was a go. Jim didn’t see any point in making small talk, so he stepped up and started the ceremony. “I’m Sentinel Detective James Ellison;” he began, “this is my Guide, Blair.” Blair stepped forward, and Jim brushed back his long hair to bear his neck and offer Blair’s Guide gland to Clint.

Clint was truly surprised. He was sure the Alpha would not bring a double X Guide into his pack, but Clint was a Sentinel true to his word, so he stepped forward and licked Blair’s neck. “I’m Sentinel Marshal Clint Barton,” He said continuing the ceremony, “This is my Guide Sweet.” Clint held Sweet’s hair off her neck and tilted her head offering his Guide’s neck to Jim.

Sweet had never before participated in a pack ceremony. She centered herself for the influx of information that she knew she would receive with the Sentinel’s touch. Jim bent down to the shorter Guide, he put his hand gently on her shoulder and ran his tongue firmly across her Guide gland. Sweet felt Jim’s essence flow through her. He wanted her to feel welcomed and protected. He offered her the knowledge of himself without reservation and without the fear of her that she usually felt from Sentinels she met. Sweet lifted her head and looked into Jim’s eyes.

Jim held eye contact with Sweet for a moment and then turned to Clint for the traditional Sentinel-to-Sentinel kiss. He placed his hands on Clint’s cheeks and waited for Clint to do the same before leaning in for the kiss.

Clint accepted the kiss parting his lips and letting the taste of the two Guides and the Sentinel mingle in his mouth. He was ready to pull away, but Jim deepened the kiss. It was then that Clint realized he was not being invited into the pack as a colleague, a trusted Sentinel to work beside, he was being brought into a family pack. The difference was subtle but deeply significant, and Clint responded with passion. Clint’s eyes turned dark blue/black, and he slipped into a ritual thrall.

Jim ended the kiss and whispered “true brothers” to his new pack brother before stepping back.

McGee and Abby stepped up, and McGee said the words. “I am Sentinel Major Timothy McGee, and this is my Guide, Abby. He moved Abby’s pigtail out of the way and offered her neck to Clint. Clint continued the ceremony and offered Sweet’s neck to McGee, and then he and McGee kissed. Clint felt the same warm feeling fill him that he had felt when he shook Peter’s hand.

Spike stepped forward with Xander by his side. “I am Sentinel Detective William Spikeman,” he said, “and this is my Guide, Xander.” Spike combed his fingers through Xander’s hair, tilted his head and offered Xander’s Guide gland to Clint.

Clint licked Xander’s neck and tasted both Guide and Sentinel. The Sentinel taste was not diluted like the Guides who carried the Sentinel gene he had tasted while in the Ranger Corps. In his thrall state, Clint registered Xander as two separate entities, one Sentinel, and one Guide.

Clint recited the words of the ritual for the second time and then offered Sweets Guide gland to Xander. Xander froze in place, uncertain of what to do.

Spike took Xander by the hand. “You’re a Sentinel now Xan; it’s okay.”

Xander leaned in and licked Sweet’s Guide gland. She did taste sweeter than Blair, the only other Guide he had ever tasted.

Sweet felt Xander’s fear wash over her. Not fear of her but fear for his pack and for other Guides. She concentrated on sending him calming energy and was not centered when Spike stepped forward and licked her neck. The reaction to Spike’s touch was immediate and slammed into her consciousness hard, catapulting her out of her body and into a past life.

******

Her name was Cassie, and she was a seer. She sat tied up in the middle of a circle of burning candles and a scatter of gold coins. A coven of witches held hands and chanted a summons to a hell demon. Cassie knew that today was the day she was going to die, she was the sacrifice the coven was offering to the demon they worshiped in exchange for magic power. A large green demon rose up through the floor and roared his dominance as he reached for his offering. Spike seemed to appear out of nowhere and with a roar of his own he attacked the demon. The fight didn’t last long; Spike killed it quickly. The witches ran. Their power came from the demon they worshiped. Without the demon they were powerless. Spike bent down to cut Cassie free. She looked up into his eyes; she could see and feel his pain, not physical but deeply emotional pain. Spike froze for a moment then he tilted his head a questioning look filled his eyes. She gave him the message that he needed to hear. “You’ll bond with your soul mate,” Cassie said, “I’ve seen it.”

******

Spike’s tongue left Sweet’s neck, and she was back in her present life. A different circle surrounded her. A circle of warmth and caring, a circle of Sentinels and Guides willing to sacrifice their own lives for nameless others and for a better future.

For a moment Clint was confused and began to slip out of his thrall. There were two Sentinels before him, two Sentinels to kiss. Xander understood the confusion and took Clint’s face into his hands. Clint responded and placed his hands on Xander’s face. They kissed. The kiss was deep and meaningful for both Sentinels. Xander slowly pulled back and held Clint’s head until Spike stepped in for the kiss. Spike put his hands gently over Xander’s, and Xander slipped his hands off of Clint’s face. Clint turned his head to look at Spike and then let go of Xander and took Spike’s face into his hands. The kiss they shared was warm and deeply spiritual, it filled an empty spot in his sole. When it finished Clint, still holding Spike’s face, leaned his forehead against Spike’s. “I’ve been so lonely,” he whispered.

“Not anymore,” Spike answered, “Not anymore.”

A single tear rolled down Clint’s face, and Spike kissed it away before stepping back and letting his hands slowly slip from Clint’s face with each step.

Peter Wall stepped forward. Jim hadn’t asked him to be part of the ceremony, but he felt what could only be described as a kinship with Clint. He knew Clint had been through the fire and had the emotional scars to prove it. “I am Sentinel Prime Peter Wall,” he said, “and this is my Guide, Wesley.”

Clint licked Wesley’s neck and then said the appropriate ceremonial words before offering Peter Sweet’s neck.

Sweet was prepared when Peter licked her Guide gland. She felt the Sentinel strength emanating from him and his desire to protect and care for Guides. She was sure these Sentinels would never accept the new laws, they were part of the resistance.

Peter and Clint took each other’s face into their hands, and they kissed. It was a kiss of unconditional acceptance and brotherhood. When they parted, they looked into each other’s eyes. Peter smiled at his brother Sentinel. “You owe me a beer,” he said.

The thrall cleared from Clint’s mind. The ritual was over, and he smiled back. “It’s the best bet I’ve ever lost.”

Blair walked over to Sweet, “Welcome to the family,” he said.

Before Sweet could answer Abby ran over and wrapped her arms around Sweet in a welcoming hug. “Are you okay?” she asked, “I thought I saw you slip away for a moment.”

“Abby!” McGee called. “Let go of Sweet.”

“It’s okay,” Sweet said as she returned Abby’s hug. “You see auras.”

Abby nodded her head, “What happened?”

“Sweet?” Clint asked, concern filling his voice.

At the sound of Clint’s voice, every Sentinel in the room came to attention ready to assist a Guide in distress. The feel of the Sentinel's attention was overwhelming. She raised her arms in surrender and took a deep breath. “I’m okay,” Sweet said, “The ceremony was very intense, and I lost my center for a moment. That must have been what Abby saw.”

“Do you need a healing?” Blair asked. “Xander and I are both healers?”

Suddenly, Sweet’s stomach gave a loud rumble that even the Guides could hear. Sweet turned red with embarrassment. “Thank you for the offer, Blair,” Sweet said. “I really am okay.”

“No you’re not,” Clint said, sounding concerned, but not giving his Guide a comforting stroke of her arm. “You need to eat.

“We all do,” Jim said noticing the dichotomy of the Sentinel’s reaction. He put the observation behind him knowing that a Sentinel gives his Guide what he or she needs and he knew Double X Guides were touch sensitive.

“So let’s eat,” Xander said. He also noticed Clint’s lack of a comforting touch to Sweet and considered giving her arm a pat.

It was Abby that hooked her arm onto Sweet’s and started walking toward the kitchen. “Blair and Spike cooked supper,” she said as she gave sweet’s arm the comforting pats she assumed the Guide needed, “and they are ~great ~ cooks.”