Actions

Work Header

Forward Without Seeing

Chapter 29: Fear, Itself (1)

Summary:

Cordelia tries to get Giles to go out more.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Time Stamp: Near the Start of the Episode

Cordelia shelved the book and then pulled out another and flipped it open. She noted a few symbols and then nodded, this is what she had been looking for. Halloween demons, ahoy. It wasn’t ideal but Buffy and Willow were finishing off whatever they needed to finish off for Halloween so she had walked over to Giles’ to keep him company. She wasn’t the only one who was dealing with displacement. He put on the costume - sombrero and all, and made a show of being excited about Halloween but she could tell that he was a little lonely, “What does -” Cordelia said something in the current demonic language that Giles had her studying, “mean?”

Giles glanced up at her, “You know better than to say words that you don’t know the meaning of Cordelia.”

It was true. The first time she had opened one of his books and read the words on the page without understanding their meaning the whole room had been filled with moths. She had done it once more after that too. Still, sometimes old habits died hard. She went to sit on the couch and pulled over one of the other texts she had laid on the table upon arrival and flipped through it trying to find text that matched the one in front of her. Once she did she could begin translation, “You should try getting out tonight.” She told him.

“Why do you say that?” As he asked Giles unwrapped a bite-sized candy bar and popped it in his mouth.

“The outfit is clearly a cry for help. Nothing says ‘I’m a lonely bachelor, help me’ than a sombrero and a limp poncho. This is Halloween, not Cinco de Mayo.”

That seemed to offend him, “I’ll have you know I got a great deal on this poncho.”

“But not the hat?” She arched her eyebrow at him, “Because if you didn’t get a deal on that, well I hate to tell you but someone was ripping you off.”

Putting the book down she picked up the notepad she had left on the couch and scribbled down the translation she was working on. As she did so she sighed, it was looking more and more like she had picked literally the most boring text of all time, “I won’t have my fashion choices besmirched by your tongue.” Giles replied.

“God you really do need to get out. Do you even hear yourself? Besmirched by your tongue! This isn’t a Shakespeare play.”

That seemed to put Giles out of sorts, “Shakespeare was a cunning linguist.”

“For his time maybe. But we are not in Ye Old England.”

The moment after she spoke the doorbell rang and Giles walked over to answer it. A moment later Buffy’s voice filled the room, “Giles! And you’re wearing a sombrero. Interesting choice.”

Giles ignored her, “I take it you are not here for me.”

“Nope.” Buffy looked over Giles’s shoulder and at Cordelia who had stood up and was putting her school bag around her shoulder, “You ready to go?”

Cordelia nodded and put both books and the note pad the translations were on into her bag, “Yep!’ She answered and then looked at Giles, “I’m borrowing the books I was working on. I doubt I will ever need to use the information on this little bit of terror, but better to finish the translations anyway.”

“Oh. Yes - quiet. Have a good time.” He looked at Buffy, “You too. You have the night off so don’t do anything too out there.”

“I will try.” Buffy said with mock seriousness and then broke out into laughter.

As Cordelia met Buffy at the door she looked at Giles and then said seriously, “I mean it. Get out of the house. Do something - anything. Don’t just sit around handing out candy to grubby children.”

“Grubby children?” Buffy’s laughter continued, “I really do think Giles is rubbing off on you.”

Together she and Buffy walked outside, behind them Giles waved, “Have a good time then.”

“We’ll try!” Buffy said, glancing backwards to look at him one last time.

Then she and Buffy were out of his front entrance and out of sight. She really did hope Giles took her advice.

Notes:

There is something really important and good to me about the relationship between Giles and Cordelia.