Actions

Work Header

"The Best Christmas Of All" The Nightmare Before Christmas part 4

Chapter 2: Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time

Summary:

A movie marathon, a sleigh ride, carols and Christmas dinner ...

Chapter Text

After watching “It's A Wonderful Life” Lister's favourite and “The Sound of Music” Rimmer's favourite, Rimmer suggested watching "Cats". He'd promised the Cat to watch it with him one day and thought it would be nice to do it all together for Christmas. Lister agreed, though wrecked his brain about a suitable treat for Kryten to watch. He remembered watching the movie “Bicentennial Man” once with him and Rimmer. Kryten had loved it but it had also upset him and Rimmer had been rattled as well, for some reason, to the point of a panic attack, so that was out. He decided they could try "WALL-E" or "Robots", Kryten hated "Transformers".
So they watched "Cats". Lister felt it dragged on longer than it had any right to with Cat stopping the film every five minutes to complain loudly about what was wrong, stereotypical or even Cat-cist about those humans “furring up”. In the end the Cat quieted down and got into it, after realising the songs were “pretty” and the humans had “some good moves”.

For Lister the reward of sitting through three hours of singing (and complaining) Cats came when able to wrap an arm around Rimmer as the Hologram teared up during “The Moments of Happiness” and “Memory”. Rimmer not being afraid any more of showing emotion was the biggest breakthrough he'd ever made. Feeling Listers arm Rimmer looked at him and smiled warmly, he snuggled into the embrace and put his head on Lister's shoulder. Lister felt he could finally relax completely: he'd truly won Rimmer back.

If you touch me
You'll understand what happiness is
Look
A new day has begun


Instead of Lister's choices Kryten elected “The Wizard of Oz”, knowing that this was an old earth Christmas tradition and he was a big fan of the Tin-man. Lister had wanted to balk at three musicals in a row, but then saw that Rimmer seemed quite taken with the idea.
“Do you want to watch that Arnold?”
“Do you? I know you're …”
“I asked you first. If you want to …?”
“I'd love it, but …”
“We're watching it!”
And that was exactly why Kryten had selected it. He knew the movie was one of Rimmer's favourites and felt that after his behaviour he did not deserve a treat yet. - Okay, he had to admit; the Tin-man factor was a bonus.

Rimmer fell asleep on Lister's shoulder halfway through the movie. Time to get dinner ready, Lister thought. Kryten carried the sleeping man to the sofa in the recreation room, and ordered no-one to disturb the Hologram until dinner was served. Lister and Cat decided to stay in the cinema and watch some cartoons until then.


As worried about the glassy look in Rimmer's eyes as Lister was, Kryten secretly made a scan of him; fast asleep the Hologram could not object. He discovered mild concussion a high temperature and complete physical and mental exhaustion. His light bee was also weakened from stress and lack of food. "Good"  Kryten thought, he'd make sure that after today Mr. Rimmer did not leave his bed until at least spring. The thought of having someone to completely dote on and fuss over cheered the Mechanoid up no end. He decided not to tell Mr Lister about the concussion. Obviously caused by the Hologram hitting his head against the door it would only make him feel even worse about the whole affair. He would talk to Mr Rimmer about it, though, if his migraines had become so bad he couldn't feel the difference between them and a head injury he clearly needed help. As for now: he had cranberry sauce to stir.


When Lister woke up Rimmer for dinner a little while later he noticed his partner was disappointed and annoyed with himself for falling asleep. He'd been enjoying himself so much.
Lister, though, assured him that it was a good thing he'd had a nap as he would now be fresh for a massive games night and more after dinner. That thought soon cheered Rimmer up again, especially as Lister helped him up to then gently blindfold him, telling him that there would be a big surprise before dinner.


Lister softly removed the blindfold from Rimmer's eyes and waited to see the expression on his face as he could take in the scene.
He wasn't disappointed an emotional roller-coaster of shock, joy and gratitude all passed in under a second. Even he himself was amazed at how amazingly well his mini alp scene had come off: it really was like a holiday in Switzerland: Snowy mountains, frozen trees, even a cute cottage that almost looked like a gingerbread-house. The cottage was real and it was where they would have dinner. Christmas dinner in a cottage with Rimmer, his best friends and a view on the Alps: Lister's dream come true.
“Listy …” Rimmer muttered. “It's beautiful!! How … when?”
With a cheeky grin Lister took Rimmer's arm to drag him to the sled.
“Don't worry about all that, Arn. Just enjoy it.”

Lister helped Rimmer into the sled and sat himself next to him, while Kryten and the Cat took the front seat to steer – both  dressed in old fashioned drivers suits. Lister tucked his partner in nice and warm and then got cosy himself. Soon they were gliding through the snow covered forest, the only sound the soft twinkly bells coming from the sled.
Relaxing with his hand in Rimmer's, Lister didn't know what he enjoyed more: the look in Rimmer's eyes, or the view around him – he decided it was the bright smile on Rimmer's face.
Unable to communicate his sheer joy at everything that happened to him Rimmer just smiled and squeezed Lister's hand. He soon slowly snuggled up to him and leaned against him happily. It was the most beautiful, most romantic thing that ever happened to him. There were no words, just joy and … love.


Dinner was an even happier occasion than breakfast: all tension had melted and more than ever they felt as if they were their own strange little dysfunctional family. Stories were told and songs were sang. Kryten treated everyone to a rendition of the “Twelve Droids of Christmas”: "3 diodes spinning, 4 sockets humming, FIVE NIPPLE NUTS!!"
Rimmer then led his friends through an IO-nian Christmas treat he'd overheard at Kindergarten: “I'm dreaming of a red Christmas”. He'd never found it particularly impressive, as IO was always red.

“Who's for dinner Carolling?” Lister then cheered, getting his guitar from the corner of the cottage (when he prepared, he prepared). Cheers from Kryten and the Cat but silence from Rimmer.
“Arn?”
“I don't know any carols, except that one …” the Hologram confessed softly.
“Oh babe … you don't know any Christmas tunes at all?”
Rimmer blushed as he thought about it, then looked up shyly.
“Well … One …”
Better than nothing, Lister thought.
“Which one, hun?”
“The one in that movie you watched in the first year you were here. I loved it as it was … well … sort of me … My motto … ”
“I need a bit more than that …”
“It's by that blonde American 20th or 21st century singer she sings about being 'fine and dandy' …'”
Lister snorted, trying not to laugh at that one.
“Oh … Dolly Parton you mean, Arnold? Interesting that all you remembered is her being blonde … But yeah, I know that song. 'Hard Candy Christmas', right?”
Rimmer nodded smiling happily, his eyes big in anticipation.
“You can play it Listy?”
Rimmer actually wanted him to play guitar? What a great Christmas!
“Sure can. You just watch me.”
The Scouser really could play that tune and soon all around the table joined in on the chorus.

Fine and dandy
Lord it's like a hard candy Christmas
I'm barely getting through tomorrow
But still I won't let
S
orrow bring me way down

Lister had to admit: that song really was Rimmer to a T.

After that the quartet ran through some more tunes, Lister taught Rimmer 'In the Bleak Midwinter' and 'Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas' and after that it was time for coffee in the cute sitting area, followed by Christmas Crackers and a few more Christmas parlour games.

It was soon evident that Rimmer was too tired to take part in the second go at charades, but propped up on the sofa he still did his utmost to guess. All around him and inside of him there was joy, laughter and happiness and he smiled. He smiled and held on to his Christmas joy … until he fell asleep.


“So ...” The Cat beamed at Lister, after downing his tenth chocolate liqueur. “That's Christmas done. What are we doing for New Year?”
Lister smiled as he stared lovingly at the exhausted and slightly inebriated Hologram; he looked so contented and calm as he snored away happily on the sofa. A crown from a party cracker still clinging on to his curls for dear life, his pale face a little flushed from alcohol and excitement. “I don't know, Cat. I guess we'll just play it by ear.”

Series this work belongs to: