Actions

Work Header

Daisy's and Dewdrops

Summary:

Ushijima owns a flower shop and Reons a new cop in town who's heart is weak for him.

Cute flowershop/cop AU that my friend urged me to write after we yelled about fluffy headcanons

Notes:

hey so i poorly planned this fic and it is purely self-indulgent for me and my friend to yell over cutesy ushiwaka and reon so yeah

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Chapter Text

  The city was large, confusing, and very overwhelming for Reon, who formerly worked as a small-town cop. Due to his recent efforts, he’d been promoted to a position in the Big City™. Finding a new apartment was hard enough, he knew he was going to have a hard time just learning the layout of the city. He’d been through a few orientations already and was assigned to a team with two other guys named Semi Eita and Tendou Satori. The two seemed nice enough, Tendou a bit more on the weird side, but Reon wouldn’t admit that out loud (yet). Semi was very responsible and has already promised to show him around the city a bit while they were off duty. All-in-all, despite being so far from his family and friends, his new squad was already starting to feel like family and he knew he’d have a good group of new friends in no time.

With orientation being over, he had one day off before starting duty with Semi and Tendou. The two of them were “ol’ vets of the city” as Tendou put it, and agreed to hang out with Reon and show him around the city before their first day together. Tendou brought the three of them over to the east side of the city where a lot of shops and restaurants were. Tendou claimed to like shopping, but Reon decided to keep any comments on his fashion sense to himself.

“Our unit normally covers the downtown area, but you’ll get a tour of that tomorrow while we’re on poral” Semi spoke between bites of his dessert crepe.

Reon nodded as he watched Tendou window shop and gawk at the weird items that he wanted.

“Has anyone told him?” Reon question, shifting his gaze towards Semi.

“Told him what?”

“That his clothes don’t exactly… y’know work too well together” Reon mumbled, not exactly wanting Tendou to hear him.

Semi burst out laughing and Reon honestly didn’t know the usually quiet man could laugh that loud.

“What’s so funny” Tendou turned his head from the shop he was looking at and narrowed his eyes at the two of them.

“Nothing, don’t worry about it” Semi waved him off and Reon chuckled.

“My, my, my, you know I never ignore a good time? What, is the new guy cracking all the good jokes while I’m not listening?” Tendou squeezed his way in between the two of them and wrapped his arms around their shoulders.  

“Something like that” Semi chuckled.

“What?! Not gonna tell me?? Whatever made Semi laugh that loud gotta be a hoot, now teellll” Tendou whined.

“The moments gone, sorry” Reon smiled weakly.

“UUuugghhh fine . You win this one” Tendou turned and glared at Reon.

“I, what?” Reon cocked his eyebrow and was genuinely lost and questioning how this childish man even came to become a cop. Maybe he’s really good in the field?

The three of them continued to wander around and as the sun started to set they went to a small outdoor ramen stall for an early dinner, chatting idly the whole time. Reon learned that Semi and Tendou went to the same police academy here and have been working with each other since they got onto the force. He also found out that Tendou is the proud owner of three cats that he calls his “children”. Semi has no pets at the moment, but put in the paperwork for a police dog and is really hoping it’ll work out so they’ll have another new addition to the team. They parted ways after dinner, but Reon was still a bit restless. He always enjoyed walking around after having a meal and soon enough he found himself lost.

With the wonders of technology he knew he could just google maps his way back home but he found himself in a rather quaint part of town. It reminded him a lot of his home town, and it really didn’t seem like he was in a big city at all. There were a bunch of cute mom-n-pop shops, most of them closing for the night. Most of the apartment buildings in the area were made of red brick, some covered in ivy and it gave the area a kind of magical and nostalgic touch. He kept wandering down to the end of the block. It rounded off to a dead end, the hard city road turning into a cobble stone one, covered with benches and tables to cater to customers of the nearby cafes. There were potted trees and plants, a number of them clustered around this one shop that still had its lights on. Upon closer inspection, Reon realized that it was a flower shop, the owner still inside and tending to his plants.

The owner was nothing that Reon expected. When he heard the word "flower shop", cute old couples tending to flowers came to mind, probably because the flower shop near his old home was run by a friendly old couple. But this flower shop was run by a tall, handsome, broad man who, from what he could tell, had a very stern face and looked to be about 25 or 26, around the same age as him. He didn’t look like someone who’d be gentle enough to tend to plants. Reon noticed the shop was empty, probably since it was close to closing, and the man was alone with what looked like a pet cockatoo. It was an endearing sight, and Reon reached for his phone, finally deciding to map his way home until he saw the other man smile ever so slightly as he trimmed a potted rose bush, and he felt his heart clench.

Fuck

 

---

His alarm went off promptly at 5:30AM and Reon groaned as he hit the off button and rolled out of bed. Despite being a cop, he never fully got used to waking up early. He’s only been working on active duty for about three years, so no matter how professional he acted and handled cases he still considered himself new to it all and there were still a plethora of things he wasn’t used to yet. One thing he wasn’t used to was his brain obsessing over this flower shop owner. Images of the handsome flower shop owner from the other day flashed through his mind and he groaned again, pushing it to the back of his mind. Reons’ been so caught up in training and doing his best at work that he never even thought about having a love life. His last relationship was probably back in highschool, and even then it was a “highschool romance” that lasted little over 4 months.

Reon shook his head and continued on with his morning routine. This is no time to be thinking of romance… especially with a handsome stranger… when did I even start liking guys? After getting dressed he headed over to the station (without the use of google maps!) and signed in for the day, allowing him to forget all about the handsome flower man.

Tendou walked in, a bit late but no one seemed to mind seeing as he waltzed in with coffee and muffins.

“And the oh so generous Tendou arrives, 10 minutes late” another cop by the name Kenjirou Shirabu said, narrowing his eyes at the red haired man.

“Yeah, but I have coffee and food so I win” Tendou gloated”

“Win… what? Our sympathies?” Shirabu smirked

“Fine, none for you” Tendou stuck his tongue out.

Everyone chuckled and dug into the breakfast Tendou brought for them. Shirabu keeping to himself. Reon guessed that the two of them were constantly in some sort of petty fight. He heard the chair move next to him and looked over to see Semi joining him with a coffee and muffin in hand.

“You get home alright last night?” Semi inquired.

“Yeah, I walked around a bit and got kind of lost but I found this really cute part of town” Reon replied with a smile.

“Oh is it that nice cobble stone area with the small shops? There’s a really nice cafe in that area. Nothing was probably opened at that time though” Semi took a large bite of his muffin and washed it down with the dark liquid.

“There was one or two shops with their lights still on, but it seems that part of the city retires fairly early” Reon started on his coffee, opting not to have a muffin since he ate before coming to work.

“Oh!” Tendou squawked and made his way over to them.”That’s where the hot flower dude’s shop is right?”

“Do you ever not eavesdrop?” Semi chuckled.

“It’s in my nature, my dude” Tendou smiled smugly.

“Uh, yeah I do recall seeing a young man running a flower shop” Reon cleared his throat and spoke up.

“Whatta cutie, right?” Tendou wiggled his brows suggestively

“You guys know him?” Reon asked, ignoring Tendou.

“I’ve never spoken to him, I never even noticed his shop until Tendou brought it up one day” Semi replied.

“I wish I knew him, but alas I only look on from afar” Tendou sighed dramatically.

“Can you be quiet? You know this isn’t really how a cop should be acting” Shirabu spoke up, grimacing at Tendou.

“And can you learn to have fun and loosen up?” Tendou bit back.

This only confirmed Reon’s previous thought on them being in a continuous loop of petty fights.

After a couple minutes their boss came in, giving them assignments for the day and Reon and Semi headed out for parole. Tendou stayed back at the station and they were to be in radio contact with him. Semi drove while Reon sat passenger, and he idly pointed things out in the area to Reon to get him more accustomed to the city.

The parole went well, more pleasant than Reon had expected. They stopped a couple purse thefts, and gave a couple tourists directions, but that was the extent of it. They returned back to the station for lunch, the first half of their shift being fairly uneventful. For the rest of his shift Reon stayed at the station while Tendou and Semi went out for evening parole. Shirabu was also at the station and showed him where everything is and how they handled big calls when they came in. It was a saturday night so something was “bound to happen, like it always does”.

And so it did. As the night went on Reon watched as units rushed in and out of the station. Young hooligans brought in to be kept in holding cells and so on. Reon was relaying radio calls and helping with people who were brought in. The most alarming was a call he got from Tendou and Semi, asking for him to come out with another office for a case of suspected arson. Reon rushed out with Shirabu, and they made their way to a familiar part of town. Once parked and out of the car, Reon watched as the firefighters tamed the fire coming out of the small flower shop. Reon spotted the owner who was being taken care of by the paramedics. He didn’t look too hurt and had a shock blanket wrapped around his shoulders.

Shit

“C’mon, lets get the area tapped off” Shirabu spoke up, nudging Reon’s shoulder.

“R-right”