Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Stats:
Published:
2016-11-09
Updated:
2023-08-30
Words:
23,739
Chapters:
21/?
Comments:
76
Kudos:
122
Bookmarks:
15
Hits:
2,162

What I Call A Universally Acknowledged Truth

Chapter Text

Stevie was a radiant bride in her best dress, a soft pink number overlaid with fine white lace. By her side was Norman, who had scrubbed up surprisingly well. He had shaved off his beard for the occasion, revealing a kindly round face that set off a round of hushed whispers around the church, for it was much more handsome than expected. 

The besotted couple glowered with happiness as they exchanged their vows, blessed by the golden morning light, leaving their guests misty and dabbing their eyes. Even Heather, now more cat than kitten, was a guest of honour along with Norman’s cats, who were only too happy to be wrangled by the village children. “Beasts at a wedding! Well I never,” Penny proclaimed before being shushed by Miranda.

Miranda bid her dearest friend teary congratulations, her joy bittersweet. The evening before, she had visited the Suttons to see Stevie one last time before she was married. While their friendship remained as strong as ever, she knew things would be different now, no matter how much they insisted otherwise, and though she looked forward to their hijinks ahead she was also left with a bittersweet longing, wishing they could wring out just a bit more time with things as they were. 

The guests made their way to the wedding breakfast at the Sutton family manor after the ceremony, where the cake, and indeed all the food, had been organised by Mr Preston. Everyone was very impressed with the feast before them, silver platters laden with everything from hearty meats and pastries to delicate finger sandwiches and dainty sweets. The centrepiece was a three-tiered pink cake iced in white and decorated with an elegant arrangement of edible flowers, flavoured with the rose and apple Miranda had found so delightful. 

After the couple had cut the cake and everyone was stood around eating and chatting, a most curious thing happened.

As Tilly took a bite of cake, a strange look came over her face. “Is that rose?” She asked.

“Yes! Made to order from my secret recipe.” Mr Preston called from across the room, delighted she had recognised it.

Tilly froze, a realisation dawning on her. “Oh!” She gasped. Her eyes darted between Miranda and Mr Preston and then back to Miranda, who realised with horror that Tilly’s memory was far too good.

 


 

It was all over in a split second, the moment imperceptible to anyone else. “It’s beautiful, Mr Preston,” Tilly crooned. 

Tilly was very quiet thereafter until an opportunity presented for her to excuse herself, and she rushed into a side room.

Miranda ran after her, almost tripping over the Persian rug and knocking over an ornamental vase on the way. Her summer rendezvous suddenly seemed like a very foolish idea indeed.

Inside, Tilly was frantic. “Mirandikins, that cake is the same as the one you susrprised me and Charlie with that one morning, and if Mr Preston made that one too, then you and Mr Preston...?”

Miranda’s chest tightened. “Oh Tilly, I don’t know what you speak of,” she cried. “He is our neighbour, and I knew he was planning the menu for the inn. It’s just some cake between friends, nothing possibly untoward with that...”

Tilly could only blink at her in shock. Miranda thought she could see the cogs turning in her head if she looked hard enough.

“But you told us you had the cooks prepare the cake, and I saw the way he looked at you today, and how you were always so joyous after our walks. Charlie said it must have been the fresh air and a good book, but I knew it couldn’t be the book you were reading! Gulliver’s Travels cannot possibly be that good!”

Miranda took pause at this. “Actually it is rather good, sometimes I feel like I’m a in a positively Lilliputian world...”

Tilly let out shrill wail of frustration.

“Alright then,” Miranda cried, almost tearful. “Yes, we’ve been... seeing each other while you’ve been on your walks, and it’s been wonderful,” she half shouted.

Tilly’s mouth fell open, and she had to lean against the wall for support.

“Please don’t tell anyone Tilly, it’s already complicated enough, and I can’t bear to lose him. In truth, I think I- I love him,” she said, the last three words arriving with surprising ease.

“Oh Miranda, this is so very unexpected,” she said, clutching her chest and sinking down the wall. “Are the two of you engaged?” she whispered.

Miranda knelt on the floor next to her. “No! …but I think we might be, in time.”

Tilly gave her a look of reproach. “Do be careful cousin. If he is as good as you say, he would do the honourable thing.”

“Would he?” she asked, doubt creeping into her voice.

“Yes! A true gentleman wouldn’t allow the lady of his affections to remain unattached officially!”

“But this is just a temporary arrangement. In fact, I’m sure we shall sort it out by summer’s end,” she insisted with a nervous laugh, the words ringing hollow out loud.

“That may be, but are you certain he willing to commit himself to you? Or is he merely out to ruin you for nothing? You musn’t leave it too long.”

“I suppose, but I beg of you, please don’t tell anyone”

Tilly patted her hand. “Of course not, what good would that do? If he makes you as happy as you say, then I suppose I can’t be anything but delighted for you,” she said, her eyes gleaming.

“Oh Tilly,” she wept.

They hugged each other and cried it out, before drying their tears in haste and returning to the breakfast perfectly composed, their absence barely noticed.

“Nice work,” Stevie whispered to her. 

“You saw?”

“My emotional detector is highly sensitive. But don’t worry, no one else is so in tune.”

“Clever girl.”

The happy couple were waved off on their honeymoon (to Bath, where the water was good for the skin. Norman would do well to take advantage of it, Penny noted). Before Miranda left, she was able to sneak in a conversation with Mr Preston next to her mother.

She addressed him with a small nod and a curtsy. “I trust you are well Mr Preston. Your breakfast was splendid. I pray the weather is as fine tomorrow morning,” 

“As do I. I always cherish my morning walks,” he replied, his smile angelic. Tilly’s words echoed in her head. Be careful cousin.

 


 

A sense of unease lingered over Miranda for the rest of the day, and it remained while she tossed and turned in bed, running through every iteration of events she could dare think of. Tilly’s reaction had unsettled her, and her own carefree attitude suddenly felt impossibly silly. What on earth had she gotten herself into? When she awoke the next morning her mood remained subdued, and she took her morning walk with a knot deep in her stomach.

 

*****

 

“…And she really could tell from the cake?” Mr Preston asked, his tone incredulous. She had recounted her meeting with Tilly while they were perched in their usual spots, now sitting almost scandalously close.

“Yes! You should take it as a compliment, the flavours are simply too memorable. That or Tilly has the nose of a bloodhound. But it’s okay, I’ve sworn her to secrecy,” she said with a sigh.

“What’s wrong?” he asked.

She stared across the garden, searching for the farthest tree in her view. “I’ve been thinking about us, and the future, and how fragile our situation suddenly seems.”

“Oh Miranda…”

“When we first met I thought I had nothing to lose, but the more time we spend together… the more I fear I’ll lose you.” 

She did not intend to be so open with her feelings, but it all came tumbling out, pushed by her rising tears. “I’ve realised that we can’t do this forever. Of course I’ve known that all along, ever since we agreed to simply enjoy the summer, but I need your reassurance on what will happen after. Or if there even is an after. I need to know if we’re on the same path because if we are not, then I need to step away, while I can still bear it.” Her voice cracked at the end of the sentence and her vision blurred with tears.

For a second she thought he might cry. He reached for her hand and she let him take it.  “Miranda, you don’t know how much you mean to me. I shouldn’t have allowed you to be in this position in the first place, but I cannot say I regret what we’ve done. This has been the most wonderful few weeks of my life. I never want it to end.”

His words draped around her shoulders like a warm blanket. He brushed away her tears with his thumb, feather light. 

“And if it should end? If mother does not approve, or worse?”

His expression turned serious. “I won’t let it,” he declared. “We’ll find a way. You’ve changed me Miranda. I can’t go back to who I was before you, and I don’t want to, whatever happens.”

“Am I that powerful?’ She asked, a laugh breaking through her tears. “I ought to be more responsible with such abilities.”

“Oh but you are.” He said. “You came right into my life when I needed you, even if I didn’t know it.” Their bodies drew closer ever so slightly, desire flickering over his eyes for a moment before they backed away, the spell broken.

He composed himself and took both her hands. “Miranda, I’ve already decided that after the inn is up and running, I shall return to Norfolk to settle my affairs, because I know I want to stay here, permanently. After that… I want to make us real.”

Her breath caught in her throat. “Really?” Visions of their future together flashed through her mind. 

“Yes, I want to do things properly, like I ought to have done from the beginning. If you’ll have me, that is.” He gazed at her with such earnestness that there was no room for doubt.

She let out an involuntary squeal and threw her arms around his neck. “Always,” she whispered, as she felt him smile against her cheek.