Actions

Work Header

My Partner is Oikawa Tooru

Summary:

“This is your second to last Physics project for the year, one of two which count for 40% of your final grade. I will be assigning you to groups of two, starting with [Name]-san and Oikawa-san.”

Notes:

I mention Theory of Knowledge as a class in this, which for those of you who did/do not take the International Baccalaureate Program (IB Program), is a class where you learn How you know what you know and is really great if you're good at bull shitting XD. It's similar to Philosophy for a vague comparison. This is a classic reader insert fic. Thank you for checking this out! =D I hope you enjoy =).

Chapter 1: In the Beginning, there were Aliens.

Chapter Text

“This is your second to last Physics project for the year, one of two which count for 40% of your final grade. I will be assigning you to groups of two, starting with [Name]-san and Oikawa-san.”

Your head jerked up immediately, eyes flashing from Takeda-sensei to the infamous Oikawa Tooru, your soon-to-be-partner for this oh so important project. Sensei continued reading from his list as you quickly shot your gaze back toward your notes, running scenarios in your head as to how this partnership would go.

Scenario 1:

Oikawa is as much of an ass as he makes himself out to be. He’ll saunter over, flirt incessantly, and then ungraciously dump the entire project on you.

Scenario 2:

You barely talk, only bringing the project together the day before you present. He remains cold and distant, but does his 50%.

Scenario 3:

He turns out to actually be a major nerd (you caught him once, during the astrology unit, staring awestruck at pictures of galaxies), and you walk away as unlikely friends.

“For this work,” Takeda-sensei continued, “You will be creating your own habitable planet. We have been covering the make-up of various atmospheres, planet types, and moon formations, and I know that in Biology you have been studying life-forms. You can populate your planet with whatever you choose, as long as it scientifically checks out. A major portion of this project rests on your creativity as well, because this grade will count for your Physics, Biology, and Theory of Knowledge classes. Rubrics are online, and the due date is 2 months from today. Good luck! You can spend the remainder of class discussing plans with your partners. And remember- wonder rests within each of you, so do not be afraid to let your spirits soar and your creativity burst forth from the depths of your hearts!” Sensei finished with a flourish, reminding the class once again why you found him so dear.

“Yoo-hoo! Hello, [Name]-chan.”

You turned your head toward the enthusiastic greeting, biting your lip nervously as the Oikawa Tooru took the vacant seat next to you. The only time you had ever interacted before was the occasional head nod as you walked past each other- just an acknowledgement of existence, nothing that warranted a nickname (or so you figured).

“Hey, Oikawa-san,” you responded, sparing him a glance before quickly turning back to your notes, hand jumping as your pen tap-tap-tapped against your papers.

“You can drop the -san, [Name]-chan, it sounds like we’re going to be working together a lot,” he quipped as he slid his gaze across your fidgeting fingers. “Before we start this though, I need to ask you an important question.”

Your eyes locked as Oikawa’s voice dipped into a more serious tone, his deep chocolate irises meeting yours with harsh intensity.

“Do you-” he breathed, forcing you to inch closer, “-believe in aliens?”

Your breath hitched as you studied Oikawa’s face. His eyes were set in dead certainty, completely disregarding the absurdity of what he had just asked.

A smile cracked across your mouth as you contemplated your answer. Oikawa’s gaze flicked downward, catching onto the quirk of lips as his eyes hardened, infinitesimally narrowing with an expectation of dismissal.

A chuckle froze in your throat as you realized the importance of this deceivingly simple question. You sobered immediately, and whispered back, “How could there not be?”

Tooru’s eyes widened like you'd only seen once before, when he had been gazing at the galaxies, his face barely illuminated in the dark of the classroom as the projected images skated across his features. His eyes twinkled like the stars had, as a grin that you'd never seen before lightened his face. And then he started god for fucking giggling. Your chest tightened as you stared at Aoba Johsai’s star volleyball player, who had the gall to look cute after asking a ridiculous question that was starting to make your head spin.

Why the fascination with aliens? I think I answered right, I mean of course there are aliens, there are waaaay too many other planets and galaxies out there for there not to be.

“That’s exactly what I say!” Oikawa chirped, expression gleeful as he took in the surprise on your face.

“I just said that out loud," you gaped.

“Yes you did! But that’s totally alright because it makes perfect sense, there have to be aliens out there. It would make less sense if there were none, you know?”

You took a second to regain your bearings, because here was Oikawa fucking Tooru gushing about aliens of all things, but as the initial shock wore off you jumped right into gushing with him- “It would actually be SUPER creepy if we were the only sentient beings in the universe, and really lonely too, not to mention boring-“

“-Exactly! I mean, what if we never come into contact with other intelligent species. Think of all the technology and ideas we would be missing out on-“ Oikawa squealed.

“WOAH! Can you imagine alien architecture? But first- are we talking about aliens that are more advanced than us, or that are further behind technology-wise?” you wonder aloud, looking toward the ceiling for answers.

“Hmm, that would depend wouldn’t it. Because if they were behind us then that would mean we established contact first rather than them coming to Earth… let’s go with more advanced for now,” he prompted, resting his elbows on your desk and chin in his hands as your discussion advanced.

“Okay,” you continued, gathering your thoughts and locking eyes with Oikawa once again, “If they are more advanced, I would bet on anti-gravity buildings. So instead of just having structures’ foundations in the ground, there would be varying planes and floating bases for them to go on! Aka, no limits due to a shortage of ground space!” Your hands flourished, gesticulating the structures you were seeing, painting limitless pictures in the air.

“That. Would. Be. Incredible.” Oikawa gasped, eyes glazing over as he pictured cities sprouting in the sky.

Your expression turned grave as a tragic issue glared behind your eyes. “But-“ Oikawa glanced at you nervously, “What about sunlight reaching the bottom layer, the ground? That could really separate society if the rich were above where the sun reached while the poor were left below,” you grimaced, picturing the bleak future anti-gravity foundations could bring.

“It wouldn’t have to be like that, though,” Oikawa countered, determination seeping into his voice. “We could have artificial suns on the base of the foundations, or reflections, or have the buildings and base made so the sunlight could still go through them.”

“HOLY CRAP! That would be amazing!” you gushed, “And we could-“ you were cut off abruptly by the bell signalling the end of the period. You blushed profusely, seeing as you had just totally geeked out with Oikawa Tooru, the guy who had a fan club and who was heart-stoppingly attractive (which you knew well before you became partners). You peeked past your redness to see Oikawa in a pretty similar state. He was fiddling with the hem of his sweater, rolling the fabric between his fingers while your conversation ricocheted in his mind.

“That’s all for today!” Takeda-sensei announced. “I hope everyone has an idea of what they want to do for this project- you won’t receive any additional homework as long as you finish our class time tasks until this is complete, so good luck and enjoy the rest of your day!” he smiled, waving politely as you filed out of the class, you and Oikawa still in somewhat of a daze.

You started to stumble toward Math when Tooru grabbed ahold of your wrist.

“Hold on, [Name]-chan!” he gasped, “When can we meet to work on the project?”

“Well,” you began, mentally going over your schedule for the week (while calming your furiously beating heart), “I have [school activity] every day after school and on Saturday, so during the week I’m done by about 7 with dinner and everything, and on Saturday I’m finished up by about 12.”

Oikawa stopped for a second, processing the information and looking amazed while he did so. “That’s exactly when I finish with volleyball- and dinner- for the week,” he stuttered, sheepishly rubbing the back of his neck. “Aside from Mondays, the volleyball club always has those off.” he added.

“So do you want to meet up after school today?” you asked, other students flowing past you and Oikawa like a stream around stones.

“That’s perfect,” Tooru breathed, a smile hinting at the edge of his lips. “See you then, [Name]-chan!”

You watched as Oikawa turned and joined the flow of other students, his chocolate curls fwoomphing delicately as he bobbed his way through the crowd.

I’m meeting with Oikawa Tooru after school. I better hope his fangirls don’t find out, you chuckled, slipping into step with your classmates, continuing forward to face the rest of the day.