Actions

Work Header

Legacy of Longinus

Chapter Text

Chapter 9


Everything went according to their plan. After 035 had erased Bill's consciousness and hijacked his body, the Mask made it's way down the hall towards 682's containment cell. Nothing stopped the body 035 was using to get him to his goal; he deflected bullets easily, and the guards bounced off his invisible shield without so much as a dent in Bill's skin. At the door, there was a last feeble stand by the humans to keep him from the unkillable reptile. With a muffled laugh 035 snapped his fingers and the six men exploded.

Bill's hand reached down to grab a gore covered keycard, and with a quick swipe 035 entered the cell. The Beast made its way over to 035, plucked the Mask from Bill's face with its talons, and watched dispassionately as the body slumped to the floor before he placed the ceramic grimace on his own face. With a rumbling laugh, 682 launched through the door and out into the hall where reinforcements were ready with their rifles. The Mask delighted in the ensuing chaos. If 682 wasn't running his claws through everything and everyone in their path the sight would have almost been comical. It allowed the carnage, letting its new companion get out his aggression as it directed the Beast towards the offices.

Easy now, my friend, Thought 035 to the beast. Save one for questioning. We have to find the Lance, remember?

Don't take me for an idiot, pal. The Beast replied back in its mind. Their friendship was not born of trust, but mutual need and they both knew it. The issue of a power play was not far from their minds. Despite the agreement that the Beast would get the Mask out of the building, it was a game of chicken. Someone would flinch first, and that could easily change the plans. For now, the Mask and the Beast cooperated until either one could find an opening to exploit.

The Beast tore through the line of guards that were set up to fire on sight as though they were paper dolls. The last of the men he saved, grabbing him by the throat and lifting him high against the wall with a massive paw. “Vermin, do you know where I can find the Lance of Longinus?”

The sour stench of urine met the senses of both 035 and 682. Feh! This one is useless! Thought the Mask to its companion. Perhaps he'll lead us to someone who will know. Place me on him so I can see his mind. Remember my friend, when you do he will be invulnerable to your attacks. Do not be so foolish as to give up the protection I offer if you betray me. You're only unkillable in theory, and the mongrel humans know this. Don't let their moniker for you make you think otherwise just because they're not smart enough to have figured a way to destroy you yet.

The Beast 'hmphed' his unhappy agreement. He severed the strap of the man's helmet with a scrape of a talon, flicked off the headpiece, then placed 035 on the guard's face. The man shrieked as the Mask rummaged through the guard's thoughts and memories without a care of the damage it was causing. Before brain damage had completely set in the Mask had found a tentative lead; Major Sampson.

I have our answer. Kill him and let's be off to find this Sampson. The Beast returned the Mask to his face and with a quick flick of his wrist, the talons sliced through the guard's neck. With a final wuff of disgust at the corpse 682 turned and off they went, the Mask guiding its charge down the corridor towards their new target.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dean was angry. It was the perfectly crappy end to a perfectly crappy day. Why the fuck did he even entertain the idea that Gabriel...

Fucking Florence Whatshername. Fucking Sampson and his plans.

Dean was more upset with himself and how he had left the room. It had been a bitch move that a teenager would have done; he had practically flounced off in a huff like a chick. The boys going over the session’s footage would get a good laugh out of that show. To top off the whole girly scenario he had just dropped on his bunk with a sigh that would have done Sammy proud. Dean wished for a beer, anything to take the edge off. He had been sober for over a month thanks to this 'job', and while his liver was certainly happy with him Dean did not like thinking when he was sober. Situations like this called for drink, preferably strong liquor, and maybe a night passed out in a motel somewhere. To Dean, this mood without alcohol was generally known as a pity party, and that was Sammy's territory.

Goddamn did he miss his brother! That line of thinking wasn't helping Dean at all. Just out of sheer childishness a part of him wanted to leave Gabriel there. But that wasn't who he was; Dean killed monsters and saved people. Gabriel wasn't 'people', but then again Dean would do anything to help Castiel if he was in trouble, and Cas wasn't human either.

Who was he kidding, it didn't matter what Gabriel was. Dean couldn't leave without him.

The sirens blared in the room and Dean nearly fell out of the bed from the noise. What the fuck was going on now?

Someone opened the door and walked inside, calm as though there wasn't an alarm sounding in the base. When the man shut the door and turned around Dean saw that the normally unruffled Cain looked concerned. A worried Cain meant bad news.

Cain, buddy? Wanna tell me what's the racket?”

Dean, do you know of 682 and 035?”

Dean nodded; regardless of rank everyone knew of 682. The Unkillable Reptile as he had been nicknamed was notorious for being, well, unkillable for one in only that he was virtually indestructible. Nothing man-made or any known supernatural weapon could destroy him and he would heal any damage inflicted on it, no matter how severe. He was also an evil fucking thing that took absolute joy in killing anything he came across. 035 was just as bad, but for a much more sinister reason; it used paranormal mental abilities to control its prey like they were puppets. God knew what it wanted to do but Dean guessed it wasn't for the benefit of the planet. The hunter's body tensed; not looking forward to the rest of the news. “Hit me with it, Cain. What's going on?”

682 is wearing 035 on his face and they're out looking for something. I heard it from one of the agents; they're on the other side of the base but they're headed this way.”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The Major was well aware of the situation in the compound. A hallway had been compromised before the alarm had been sounded. The entire base may not be aware of what was going on, but everyone would find out soon enough. His role was to stay put in the office for one reason only; someone had to make the call to 'sterilize' the area. Under the base were two nuclear warheads designed to trigger after the Major put in a set of codes, turned a key that unlocked a box, and pushed the big red button inside it. Sampson had been mentally preparing for this day since he took the assignment in the Arctic over a decade ago. He prayed that God would forgive him for the radioactive fallout he was going to unleash on the ice.

Down the hall bounded the nightmare from Satan himself. The Major gripped his right hand with his left, trying to still the shaking as he attempted to key in the code. He took a deep breath and punched in the seven digit code just as the door flew off its hinges.

Hello, Major. I believe we have an appointment.” purred the Beast.

Sampson jammed the key into the lock and the box popped open. He raised his fist, only to be denied his victory at the last moment by a snap of a barbed tail against his head. The man's hand missed the detonator by inches as the Major fell to the floor, his head at a strange angle to the rest of his body.

Don't kill him you fool! Shrieked the Mask inside the Beast's head, but it was too late. They both knew that he had died on impact from the blow. The Beast growled, Don't you yell at me! I got you here, now find the damn Lance! What are you doing?! There was a quick mental battle, then the Beast's mind was absorbed by the Mask's consciousness. When they were linked 035 had time to access 682's weak points in his thought processes while the Beast was on a killing spree in the halls. The trick was seeing if it could overpower 682. If not, 682 could harness the Mask’s power of invulnerability while 035 was rendered catatonic. But the Mask had won, and its prize was a powerful body that it could use to carry the Lance and rule the world without that insufferable Beast in its mind. The reptilian maw smiled under the tragedy mask as it closed the lid on the box. There was going to be nuclear holocaust that day; just not before it found the Holy Spear.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Do we know what they're looking for?” At that point the siren cut out, only to be replaced by a voice. The wet rasp of it almost made Dean wish for the return of the ear-splitting alarm.

Attention, Base. This is your Master speaking. I am looking for a specific item; namely the Lance of Longinus. I know you insects have kept it here safe and sound for the day that I would rule this world. I am generously giving you 10 minutes to hand it over to me. After that, I tear this base apart. Don't fool yourselves; I will find it. You get to choose whether to die peacefully or at the hands of myself and all the monsters you have caged here. Have a nice day.”

I thought you said there were two Scips on the loose?” said Dean.

Two have escaped. Maybe something has happened that we are unaware of.”

Good, because not knowing all the facts always makes this much more easy to handle!”

Dean?” Cain looked completely out of his element, and somewhat cowed by his friend's outburst. Dean sighed; great, now he hurt Cain's feelings. “Sorry dude. It's not your fault. But we can't stay here. Master-Blaster out there is going to crack this place open like an egg if he doesn't get what he wants. I need to get somewhere, and you're going to come with me. I'm not going to leave you to face that thing alone.”

Dean, I appreciate your concern, but I will be fine. You see, I'm actually...”

Cain buddy, I know you're old and all, but I can't worry about you and try to stop that thing and...don't argue with me, okay? Please, just come with me.” Dean watched as his friend glowered for a moment before he finally acquiesced. “All right, Dean. I'll accompany you. Where are we headed?”

Dean opened the door and checked the mirrors in the corridor to see if the coast was clear. “We're going to see an angel about a spear.”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

When Gabriel heard the sirens sound through the base he groaned and threw the sheet over his head. Perfect, this was EXACTLY what he needed now. The last time this happened he risked his butt to save Winchester and his pal from that screwed up dimension and its demon. Gabriel just didn't have it in him to get involved again. That, and whatever had escaped had a very, very dark energy signal. It had been two evil creatures, but they soon had merged and one had dominated the other. It wasn't symbiosis; the dominant one acted as a parasite and the lesser one its dormant host. When it used the base's PA system to announce its search for the Lance, a shiver moved through Gabriel that had nothing to do with temperature. The angel rolled out of bed and shuffled into his pajama pants. If he was going to save the world, he wasn't going to give a free show while he was doing it. 

Gabriel turned to the camera and hoped someone was still monitoring the feed. “All right you clowns, let me out. I'll tell you everything you need to know if you let me get to the Lance first. If you don't, it won't matter anyway because none of us will be allowed to give a shit about anything if that monster has it before I do.”

The ring of holy fire extinguished a few moments later. Gabriel grinned triumphantly and headed towards the door as the green light flicked on. His grin turned to shock as he saw who entered the room.

Behind Dean was the last person he wanted on the base at that moment. “Cain?”