Actions

Work Header

Walking By Purple

Summary:

Sophia Peletier is running from walkers when she is saved by Kate Johnson. Unable to leave the girl to die, she takes her to the Johnson's farm where she is later tracked by Daryl. Can Rick convince Mister to let the group stay? I do not own The Walking Dead or The Color Purple.

Chapter 1: Chapter One

Chapter Text

Dear God,

I don't know if you listening; but, I hope that you are. I ain't never asked for anything before. There are things you do, I don't get. I don't think I'm a bad girl. I don't know why you let me have two kids by my daddy only to have them taken by monsters. And I don't know why you let him sell me to Mr. _. But if you there, watch over my sister, watch over my Nettie. She's smart, but I don't know who could survive in those woods with those monster.

Nettie was always so good at killing monsters. It must be that private school she had go to. I never kill a monster before. I always take care of the house and kids. I think that's why daddy hate me and he did the things he did. He knew I wasn't good for much even before the monsters came. The first time he took my baby, I was sleep and twelve. He say it was insurance, to keep the monsters from getting us. He say Adam's crying would save us and wouldn't even let me cry about it. When Olivia was born, he took her right from my arms and told me I could only tell you about it. It wasn't long from that that he sold me to Mr. _ for a box of bullets and five eggs. Nettie came on her own soon after. She say our house was taken by monsters. She give Mr. _ the last egg and ask him if she can stay. Nettie always been pretty. She always been smart and nice too. I see the way Mr. _ had look at Nettie. I know he let her stay to be with her. So even though I am ugly, I doll myself up to keep him from her as long as I could. Not much I could do though. I had to take care of the house and kids. Nettie and Kate make sure the monsters stay off the farm while Mr. _ and Old Mr. _ keep the crops and animals good. They always send Kate on trips for supplies. I don't think she know what Mr. _ do. She won't even there when he threw Nettie out. When he try to get her, she fight him off. Nettie ain't me. She fight monsters, she fight Mr. _. So he throw her out. I ain't seen her since.

I need her. We need her. The monsters come more now that she gone. Now the only kid left is Harpo, and he ain't no kid. He about thirteen now. Sometime he help Kate, most times he help Mr. _. Kate say, I should learn to fight. I don't know if she means monsters or her brother. She ain't as blind as she used to be, but she still got to go on trips. I never ask if she see my Nettie, but I asking you. Watch over my Nettie.

-Celie

Sophia could hear the walkers gaining on her; but, she tried not to look back. The only thing louder than their groans was her heartbeat. It felt like it would burst out of her chest. If she didn't keep running, it literally would! She dropped her doll. Sophia stepped over it without stumbling. She barely noticed it with the roots and thorns at her legs. With her both arms free, she could run a little faster. There were tears prickling her eyes. She wiped them away, but couldn't help stop the sob coming from her. She was going to die. Sophia didn't notice the stack of wood in front of her. She was going to fast to stop. She collide with it, causing the neat pile to fall. The girl groaned, but no longer had the strength to get up and run. The walkers soon advanced on her, but the moment they grabbed for her they grew silent and fell.

Kate walked over to Sophia and checked to see if she was scratched or bitten. Sophia had scrapes and splinters all over her; the girl's face was beginning to swell from her collision. Kate could also see her legs twitching with cramps, but there was nothing serious or inflicted by the walkers. Kate bit her lip and wondered what she should do now. There was no way this girl was by herself. She didn't have any weapons or skills. If her group was still alive, would they look for her? Kate wasn't entirely sure. "Are you okay, child?" Sophia nodded. "Good." Kate started walking back to the farm, but after three steps her conscience halted her journey. She could hear moans in the distance. Leaving Sophia was virtually a death sentence. She wasn't sure taking her to the farm was the best move either. She suspected her brother was a pedophile. Celie was only fifteen. She never spoke of any sexual abuse, but there was something in her gut that knew Cecile's presence wasn't benevolent. Celie kept them fed and from living in filth, but they got along fine before she arrived. The clean house gave them semblance of the world they left behind so she was grateful to Celie for that. She prayed, it was just that. The only reason Kate wasn't entirely sure was because Celie wasn't pregnant.

Kate placed her gun back in its holster. She walked to her wheelbarrow and put the wood inside. She picked Sophia up. She was unsurprisingly light. Kate sighed. "If you want to survive, hold onto me. I won't pick you up if you fall." Sophia didn't say anything, but did as she was told. Part of her wanted to stay put so Daryl and Shane could find her; however, she knew she couldn't. There were walkers throughout the woods and she had no energy. She hoped they'd find her even though she was headed to somewhere unknown. She was scared. This woman was hardened like a soldier. She had a bald fade; she was muscular and lean. Her eyes seemed to be able to see everything, even in the growing darkness. Kate reacted to every sound. What scared Sophia the most was her lack of fear. Even when they came upon walkers, Kate remained had a silencer on her gun, so when she shoot them, there was no horde. Sophia felt safer and relaxed. She kept a koala-like hold on Kate and didn't release, even when they got to the farm.

Kate walked on the dirt road, and shot a few walkers walking into the fence. The fence wasn't tall initially, but now it was sturdy, five feet tall and enforced with cheap barbed wire. There were limbs and guts coated on the wooden frame of the fence. Sophia realized it was the reason there were so few walker around the farm. Kate picked up a hoe and knocked a walker upside its head. Once it fell to the ground. She forced the hoe through it. The next walker she hit, she used enough force for the skull to shatter. Once her path was clear, she opened the gate and brought the wood inside. Sophia let go of her and fell to the ground in exhaustion.

Kate helped her to her feet and walked her inside. She'd put the wood away later. "I'm back!" She breathed deeply once she smelled dinner. No Georgian could resist the smell of fried chicken. Celie made it the way her mother had.

"Wash up, outside. You smell worse than the dead." Her dad chastised.

"Alright, but I've got something to discuss when I return." Kate turned to Sophia and signaled her to stay quiet. Once she pressed a calloused finger to her lips, a giant smile appeared. Kate felt like a child again. It reminded her of old times where she'd find stray animals and sneak them inside. It was the first time she smiled in a while. Sophia smiled in return. They went outside to a bucket full of water and soap next to it. Kate modesty washed herself without taking off her clothes. She handed the bar of soap to Sophia as well as a towel for her to do the same. To keep her privacy, Kate turned around. Once Sophia was done, Kate helped her back inside.

Kate sat Sophia down in her chair. Celie glanced the blonde girl before looking back at her plate. Her mind flooded with questions, but she didn't say a word. Old Mister Johnson was too focused on his meal, but he looked up once he heard his son say, "No, nope, no! Kate, take that gal back! I won't have that in my house!"

"This ain't just your house, Albert!"

"That's another mouth to feed! There's no way this little stick fights monsters, farm, or has done any type of chore. Take her out! That's just what I need, some white man taking my farm... Hell no!"

"Nobody said anything when you let Celie and Nettie stay here." Kate said with her eyes lowered.

Albert sputtered and tried to think of something to say. While he was doing so, Old Mister Johnson stated his opinion. "I'm gonna have to agree with my son. Ain't nothing ever good ever came out of a little while gal being in a black man's house." He leaned back in his chair. "Look at her, she's been taking care of. You think her people looking for her. There ain't no law now, Kate. Ain't nothing stopping her daddy from lynching us and raping you."

"I doubt anybody's still racist in this day and age. I found her, and I want her to stay."

"No." Albert said slamming his fist down.

"If she goes, so do I. And I'm the one who gets the supplies and I'm the one who defends the farm! You don't have Nettie anymore, so good luck keeping the monsters away."

"We gots Harpo." After a long silence, Albert turned away. "Three days, then she's in God's hands."

"Thank you."

Albert turned to his son in disgust. Harpo stopped eating and frowned. "If you were a better shot, we wouldn't be in this mess!"

"But-"

"Shut up, boy!" Harpo stopped talking and finished his meal.

Everyone ate in silence that night. Once dinner was done, Celie washed the dishes while Kate and Sophia headed upstairs. Kate handed Sophia clothes her young nieces once wore. Her smile seemed to be forever locked behind a cold and stoic expression. Kate tucked Sophia into bed and put her sleeping bag on the floor. "I'm Kate."

"Sophia..." It was the first word she spoke the entire day.

"Well Sophia, welcome to the Johnson Farm."


(A/N) Updates, hopefully weekly. There will be nine chapters. In my mind, Kate Johnson looks like Erykah Badu

Next Chapter: Daryl finds Sophia on Mr. _'s farm.