Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Characters:
Language:
English
Stats:
Published:
2016-08-01
Completed:
2016-08-23
Words:
47,897
Chapters:
24/24
Comments:
96
Kudos:
164
Bookmarks:
9
Hits:
5,566

Chapter 24: You and me

Notes:

I decided to switch things up and create two separate works. This is the end of Crimson. I will be adjusting the other chapters into a sequel.

Chapter Text

Erica had kept her promise and was waiting when Franky’s eyes peaked open a few hours later after her wound was cleaned and the dressing replaced. Although it was still incredibly painful, the doctor reassured Erica that Franky was making great progress. She’d need a few more weeks in the hospital before they would be able to release her into home care with weekly physical therapy visits. Franky was insistent on getting the intrusive tube out of her throat as soon as humanly possible. Even with the pesky thing down her throat, it was impossible to silence her. She took to using her hands to indicate what she wanted. After numerous tests of her breathing, she passed with flying colors and the nurses were removing the awful tube within the hour. They forced Erica out into the waiting room during the procedure where her mum was waiting patiently with two cups of tea. Erica graciously accepted the beverage and held the warm cup between her chilled hands. How could hospitals always be so cold? She had been in search of her favorite grey hoodie to no avail for ages; it was as if the thing had disappeared entirely.

“She loves you, you know,” her mother stated knowingly with her eyes straight ahead on the television as she pretended to watch the weather forecast on the news.

“I know,” she nodded slowly taking a sip of the warm liquid. Spearmint tea and two sugars. Her mother knew her well.

“Do you love her?” Grace asked honestly as she fiddled with the tea bag in her cup. Her mother always took milk in her tea, something Erica would never quite get.

“More than anything,” Erica couldn’t help the smile that touched the corners of her lips as she continued to watch her mother’s hands maneuvering the string of her teabag. Even with everything that had happened in the last three weeks, Erica felt as if she was meant to be there to pull Franky out of the burning home. No matter what had happened between them in the past, Erica was never letting Franky go again.

“Then hold onto it,” she advised sternly with a quick pat of her daughter’s knee. She didn’t remove her hand right away in favor of letting it sit in contact with the jean-clad knee.

“I think you love her too,” Erica chose her words carefully. The one thing that Grace Davidson hated above all was being reminded of her feelings. The silence that fell over the two women made Erica’s heart pulse in her chest. Her mum took a gracious sip of her tea and swallowed slowly before setting the cup down on the awaiting end table.

“Yes, I do. Since you brought her home and I saw how perfect you two are together. She’s shown you how strong you really are, and you’ve made her believe in love again. Man or woman, gay or straight, you two belong with each other. I hope you see that now,” she quickly swiped underneath her eyes with her initialed handkerchief she retrieved from her handbag. Without a second thought, Erica wrapped her arms around her mother in a tight hug. Not only did she not thwart off the contact, she even went so far as to reciprocate. The two held the embrace as their bodies swayed lightly.

The conversation was ended when the nurse came to retrieve Erica to return to the hospital room. Her mum shooed her along without another word before she picked up her cup as if nothing had happened. Erica smiled back at her mum, disappearing behind the locked doors of the intensive care unit.

The moment she crossed the doorway, she saw the thousand-watt smile she had been missing. Franky was propped up behind a mountain of pillows and her hair desperately needed a brush run through it, but she couldn’t have been anymore beautiful then she was laying in the light blue floral hospital gown.

“Hey, Spunky,” she rasped dryly. “Cute shirt,” she added with a wink. Erica rushed toward her bedside and sat delicately on the edge so as not to disturb the healing woman. Franky’s long fingers made quick work by pulling on the neck of Erica’s tee shirt trapping her in a scorching kiss. “Promise me this is real and not in my head?” Her eyes still looked a little fuzzy from the pain medication. Erica leaned back down capturing her slightly chapped lips between hers again. She fought hard to resist slipping her body on top of Franky’s, knowing it was nether the time or place.

“Does that answer your question?” Erica asked against her ear. Franky let out a soft sigh of contentment before she squeezed the blonde’s jean clad arse in her hand.

“No, but this does,” She mumbled sultrily giving her bum a few quick taps. Erica shook her head with laughter. Only Franky would be hitting on her freely after being in a comatose state for three weeks. “Erica, I’m sorry for everything. I-“ Franky began with furrowed eyebrows. The blonde leaned down silencing Franky’s apology with another deep kiss melting away her lover’s worry. She had nothing to apologize for.

“I love you. You were right about everything. I wasn’t running from you, I was running from myself. I love you, and I don’t want to lose you again,” Erica felt the prickling of tears at the corners of her eyes as she fought hard to force them away. T

“I thought I died,” the brunette revealed as she traced her fingertips over Erica’s open palm. She refused to make eye contact feeling the sting of tears in her own eyes. “I was in the ocean, and I saw him on the shore, Erica. I saw Finn. He was so beautiful. He was laughing and playing in the waves like he used to. I started swimming towards him, and then I heard your voice calling my name. He was happy and healthy. He knew I loved him. Then I knew it was okay to come back,” the green eyes flickered upwards towards Erica’s reddened face. “I can’t live without you,” emerald pierced sapphire.

Erica couldn’t hold back her emotions anymore and felt the sob rack her chest loudly as she sobbed against Franky’s hospital gown clad chest. The brunette worked quickly to wrap her arms around her love’s shaking back trying to ease her pain. Erica knew it was time to be honest.

“Hey, it’s alright, love. It’s going to be okay,” Franky’s words soothed.

“No, it’s not. This is all my fault,” the smooth material of the worm hospital gown caught the numerous tears that poured from her eyes.

“Unless you took a blowtorch to my house, I don’t think this is your fault,” she tried to tease with humor lining her voice. The comment only fueled Erica’s tears more.

“It was Mark. He did it. The only reason he started the fire was because he thought I was there with you. He was trying to kill me for leaving him, Franky. You could have died because of me,” her voice came in shaky pants as she finally revealed the information that she had been turning over in her head for weeks. The police had been investigating the burned remains of the home. It was clear that it was arson. The fire had been set from several locations and the smoke detectors had been disarmed. If it weren’t for sweet little Oliver, Franky would have most likely been trapped to die in the flames. Erica had already shown the police the text message, but they hadn’t found any other evidence to back up her claims. The bastard would most likely walk away unscathed.

“He’s lucky you weren’t there with me or I’d have kicked his bloody ass from beyond the grave,” the brunette stated as she pressed her lips down over Erica’s silky blond hair.

“Franky this isn’t something to joke about!” she shouted as she removed herself from the hypnotic grasp. She stood a few paces away with her arms crossed firmly over her chest.

“So what if he did? Fuck him! All I know is my super sexy girlfriend pulled me out of a fucking fire and saved my life. Now if that’s not grounds for a hot make out session, I don’t know what is,” her lips turned up into the irresistible smile that had been lacking from Erica’s life for so long. “I’ve got you, and that’s all that matters. You and me, remember?” she added reaching out for Erica once more delightfully wrinkling her nose. You and me. The words brushed a cool touch over her anger. You and me, she repeated in her head. They were better together. Things just made sense that way. Erica was back at her bedside in seconds with her hands smoothing back the mop of raven hair.

“Don’t get handsy, Franky Doyle. You’re still recovering,” she warned sternly. Franky ran her index finger in an X over her chest signaling her intent to keep her promise. It wasn’t long before the two were enwrapped in the sweet and gentle kisses the others lips provided.

“So I’m your super sexy girlfriend, huh?” Erica teased.

“Well, if you’ve still got that ring, you can be my super sexy fiancée, if you’d prefer,” humor lined her voice, but Erica could sense the underlying seriousness as she spoke.

“That does have a nice sound to it.” Erica pulled the sterling silver chain of her necklace from underneath her shirt to reveal the delicate hoop with blue stone in the center. Franky’s face lit up with surprise as she saw the ring settled in next to another ring beside it on the chain. It was a beautiful yet simple silver band with three small emeralds. Erica had bought for Franky it the day after the fire knowing she didn’t want to spend another moment without her. Her shaking hands made quick work sliding the delicate rings off of the chain. She took Franky’s slim hand in hers, careful to avoid the IV.

“Franky Doyle, will you marry me?” her voice quivered as she held the silver band between her fingertips.

“Why, Ms. Davidson, you cheeky minx,” Franky quipped with a grin. “Say it again,” the raspy voice commanded sending a chill down Erica’s spine.

“Marry me,” she repeated. Franky’s usual bravado was gone in favor of the sweet and shy lover underneath. She nodded silently as she bit her lip between her teeth, allowing Erica to slide the band onto her waiting ring finger. In return she slid the beautiful sapphire back to it’s rightful home on her lover’s finger before pulling her into a smoldering yet gentle embrace.