Actions

Work Header

The Unfortunate Lover

Summary:

Unfortunately Iwaizumi Hajime fell in love with a girl from college, and Oikawa Tooru fell in love with a boy from childhood.

Notes:

enjoy ;)

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Work Text:

Oikawa Tooru lit his cigarette as he leaned against a nearby tree. From where he was, he could see Iwaizumi's smile which was bright as day. That smile... Tooru remembered when Hajime smiled at him with that smile. A smile preserved for only him. But that was when the days were gold and Oikawa didnt struggle to get up in the morning.

As he glared upon the bride and groom his headache got worse, not as bad as the pain in his chest, though, from his bleeding, cracking, shattering heart. Oh yes... it was Iwa-chan's wedding. And no. Oikawa was the best man not the man marrying Iwaizumi.

Unfortunately.

Unfortunately.

But Oikawa had to give his speach soon. Had to faintly tap a spoon on a glass. Had to fake a smile. (That fake smile he's perfected over the years, that even now Hajime cant tell its fake. And Hajime knows Oikawa more than Oikawa knows himself.) Had to say meaningless shit he didnt mean, he would never mean. "Im so happy for these two." "Im so happy my (my) Iwa-chan finally found a girl who actually likes him." Worst of all he had to do it in front of all these people. Had to lie in front of all these people. Had to lie... in front of Iwa-chan.

Unfortunately.

Unfortunately.

But of course this was all Oikawa's fault. He had plenty of opportunities to tell Iwaizumi his feelings. But he never did. He never said a word. He kept it inside, not wanting to crush such a valuable friendship with his silly feelings. He wanted to cherish his precious Iwa-chan. But everyone, who knew Iwaizumi and Oikawa, was a little surprised they never ended up together. They sure acted like a couple. Hell, they still do. Well they still did. Until they grew distant because of college but Iwaizumi and Oikawa still talked more on the phone. But the moment Oikawa found out Iwaizumi had a girlfriend, he felt his heart break but convinced himself it wouldnt last even though the phone call topics soon became all about Iwa-chan's girlfriend and oh. Iwaizumi was in love.

Unfortunately.

Unfortunately.

But one day. One lousy day on a Tuesday morning, Oikawa got a call while he was just finishing up his hair. "Oikawa...Im getting married." There was a silence. Iwaizumi, somehow understood the delayed response. Maybe he knew all this time about Tooru's small, yah definitely small, feelings towards him. "Would you be my best man?" Of course. Yes, of course. Because "no one else should be my best man."

So here Oikawa is. Leaning against a tree. Tie undone, loosely hanging around his neck. Inhaling smoke from the cigarette he's very aware that isn't healthy for him. Staring at Iwa-chan, his Iwa-chan, smiling happily as ever at his new bride. Teary-eyed. Broken heart. Unfortunately he has to give his speach soon. Unfortunately he's the best man. Unfortunately his best friend, lover, one-and-only, married someone else. Unfortunately he isnt going home with Iwa-chan tonight. Unfortunately he'll never be able to hold Iwaizumi close ever again. Unfortunately he'll never get his chance with Iwaizumi. Unfortunately Hajime isnt his anymore. (Was he ever his?) Unfortunately Iwaizumi Hajime feel in love with a girl from college, and Oikawa Tooru fell in love with a boy from childhood.

Unfortunately.

Unfortunately.

Notes:

im not sorry :)))

update: i wrote this so long ago and honestly forgot about. thank you to all of you who read and enjoyed this especially to those commented. I appreciate it more than you know <33333

(i might write again soon but i put a lot of pressure on myself especially because of how picky i am with what i like to read. i burnout and end up giving up halfway through. and im not sure im cut out for long fics but I understand how unsatisfying it can be as a reader to read a good AU thats a short one-shot. it still frustrates me how short this one turned out. so thank you for liking it regardless of its length and word vomit. if you have any tips on what im struggling with please let me know, i’d be internally grateful. thank you again!!)