Actions

Work Header

The One with Harry Potter

Summary:

Joey's got a new roommate. And a new sexual orientation too, if Harry had anything to say about it.

Notes:

Okay, first of all, I’ve been re-watching Friends, and I felt so sorry for Joey – you know, when he tells Rachel he’s in love with her, and gets all depressed, that I decided he needed a Harry.

This started out as a oneshot, and then it grew to a series. Idek.

I hope you guys enjoy it!

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Chapter 1: Chapter One

Chapter Text

Friends with benefits.

 

He had never even looked at a man like that, what was wrong with him?

 

That’s what Joey Tribbiani thought as he silently watched his new roommate leave the bathroom and go to his room using only a towel around his waist.

 

Harry Potter had moved to New York two weeks ago, and found Joey’s ad the day he arrived in the city. Apparently, the boy had money enough to pay the rent, and seemed to be fun enough to have around. He didn’t really need the money, not with how well he was doing in Days of Our Lives, but he had gotten tired of living by himself, and he missed having a single friend with him, like it was when he and Chandler lived together – only it wasn’t.

 

He had never – ever – thought about Chandler like… like that. But he couldn’t seem to stop himself, Harry was just beautiful, even the girls had said so – well, the girls and Chandler, but there wasn’t much of a difference there. He had long, completely black hair, as dark as it could be, and it reached to his shoulder blades. His eyes were so green Monica had asked him if he wore lenses, and he said he didn’t – that was the natural color of his eyes, apparently a trait inherited from his mother. His skin was pale, as if he wasn’t used to being in the sun, and his lips were a dark red, full and perfectly kissable.

 

He was a man, though. A man with manly parts, and manly bits, with a manly voice, even if he was a bit short and skinny. He wasn’t built like Ross, who could compensate being skinny with his height, or like himself, as a perfect example of the male body, if he did say so himself. He was thin, a bit short, and his long hair gave him a… weird look, but it was a good weird – Rachel had called him ethereal, whatever that meant, and Phoebe had agreed, so Joey was all for describing him like that.

 

Ethereal.

 

But a man all the same. There was no mistaking the guy for a girl, even if he wanted to, and he didn’t, he just didn’t want to keep thinking about his brand new roommate like that.

 

He had been thinking things like that ever since the second day Harry had lived with him, when he came out of the bathroom in a towel, just like he had done a few seconds ago.

 

Apparently, Harry couldn’t remember to take his clothes with him. He must have some sort of memory problem or something.

 

It never occurred to Joey that Harry might be doing that on purpose.

 

He had nothing against gay people – he liked them quite a lot, actually, he had a lot of gay fans, and that helped him keep on the show. He just had never pictured himself as one. He had never felt attraction to a guy before, he was Joey Tribbiani, the terror of the ladies – only he hadn’t been a terror for the past few weeks, because of the Rachel situation.

 

Just as he was getting all depressed all over again, Harry came out if his room, wearing simple black sweat pants, and a white v-neck t-shirt, with his wet hair down.

 

He was beautiful.

 

“Hey, Joey, something wrong?”, he asked, his voice soft, and his eyes wide, as if the mere thought of something bothering Joey was a personal offense.

 

“Nothing.”, he answered, trying to hide his discomfort. He shouldn’t be thinking his roommate was beautiful – hadn’t he learned his lesson with Rachel? Hadn’t he learned he shouldn’t be crushing on people who lived with him?

 

And most of all, hadn’t he learned that he shouldn’t be crushing on a guy, who probably had a girlfriend somewhere in London, with the same cute accent, and the way he pronounced the words, and…

 

Damn it, he was getting all worked up just thinking about a girl touching Harry.

 

He was insane, it was obvious.

 

“Are you sure?”, the shorter of the two asked, looking worried, “You seem to be really angry.”

 

“Just… thinking about them girls. They make me mad.”, he said without thinking, sounding completely crazy, and now Harry must think he was an idiot.

 

Against all odds, Harry laughed.

 

“You know, girls do drive you crazy. That’s why I gave up on them.”, he said, casually leaning on the kitchen counter, so close to where Joey was sitting on the stool they could hug – not that Joey was thinking about hugs. He wasn’t. He totally wasn’t.

 

“You gave up on girls? You don’t date anymore?”

 

“Oh, I do. But only guys. Girls are way too much trouble.”, he answered unconcerned, shrugging slightly, and turning to the refrigerator, looking for something, while Joey was there, frozen.

 

He-was-gay. Harry was gay. Harry dated boys. That changed everything—

 

-- except it didn’t because Harry was gay, but Joey wasn’t.

 

“I’m not gay.”, he said, loud and clear, and he heard Harry chuckle, and turn around, a bottle of water in his hand.

 

The boy stopped right in front of Joey, and leaned in, his lips grazing Joey’s slowly, the mockery of a kiss.

 

“Gay is just a word, and those are just labels.”, he said very quietly, and leaned again, kissing Joey  - and this time, Joey kissed him back, slowly, no consuming fire, but something slow, and burning, and tingling all at the same time.

 

Harry took a step back, and smiled at him.

 

“You are very cute, did you know that?”, he said, before going to his room and closing the door.

 

And Joey just stood there, staring.

 

He had just kissed a guy.

 

And apparently, he hadn’t known what he was missing.