Actions

Work Header

The Next Chapters

Summary:

A few days into their vacation in the Spirit World, and Korra and Asami have already missed a fortnight in the material realm. Kuvira’s trial isn’t being run entirely by the book, Korra and the White Lotus aren’t on quite the same page when it comes to her relationship with Asami, and something’s definitely wrong with the passage of time in the Spirit World. Together with the rest of Team Avatar, the couple must face the challenges of the next chapters of their lives.

Notes:

Feel free to point out any spelling or grammatical errors. I will not be offended. I am happy to correct.

Chapter 1: The Night of The Wedding Party

Summary:

A night in the life of the main cast at Varrick and Zhu Li's wedding.

Notes:

Thank you Toastermaketingboard for editing this chapter!

Chapter Text

The Next Chapters: Part One

 

Kya grunted as her brother Bumi began to slip from her grasp.

“Whoa there sailor,” he slurred, “I’m not ready to come aboard.”

“We’re going up the stairs, Bumi. I’m gonna need you to try and stand on your own,” Kya said, leaning a wobbly Bumi into the railing.

Bumi felt around haphazardly until he got a decent hold. Kya let go and staggered backward when she was sure Bumi could hold his own, then started walking up the long steps of the Air Temple dormitories. She too was using the railing for support. Kya may not have had as many drinks as Bumi, but she was still a victim of overindulgence.

“Okay, okay. Bumju can take it from here.”

“Ugh, Bumju isn’t here, he flew off back when you started vomiting.”

“Leave no man behind! Has he learned nothing? If we were still in battle I would dishonorably discharge him so fast his little bunny spirit ears would spin,” Bumi called up to her, trailing behind.

The siblings finally reached the top and took a moment to get their bearings.

“We’re getting too old for this,” Kya sighed, sitting on the top step to rest.

Bumi eased himself to the ground using the railing and looked back at the party. From their spot on the steps, they could see all the festivities. The blue lights twinkled even at their distance.

“Why do you think we never got married?”

The waterbender grunted at the comment and began to hoist herself back up. They needed to keep moving, they had beds to find.

“I don’t know. It just never happened for us,” she said, waving her brother to get up too. “And we didn’t have the same pressure to start a family like Tenzin.”

“Whatever happened with that earthbender you were seeing a few years back?” asked Bumi.

“Irreconcilable differences. What about that military nurse you were seeing?”

Bumi let out a little laugh before answering. “Her husband found out about us.”

Bumi sniffed a little as he rose from his resting spot. The corner of his eyes started to burn as he thought. “Do you... Do you think Mom is disappointed that we never got married?”

“No more than Dad was disappointed we weren’t airbenders.”

“Maybe not that disappointed. She only wanted us to be airbenders because that’s what Dad wanted so badly. That was for him! She just wanted children. But we didn’t even give her a wedding to go to or ah-little little grand-babaaaahahah…” Bumi couldn’t continue as the tears began to fall.

Kya rolled her eyes as she tucked her arm around Bumi once again. “Alright, it’s time for bed.”

Kya helped her sniveling brother into the dorms. They walked a few feet before they heard a rustling down the dark hall.

“Bumi, ssh! You hear that?” Kya asked, stopping them both.

“I bet it’s a leftover Kuvira supporter trying to get revenge!” Bumi balled up his fists in anticipation.

The noise happened again.

“Maybe it’s just a thief? Sounds like they’re looking for something.”

Bumi flung himself against the wall to listen for the sound. With his ear tightly pressed to the wood, he walked farther and farther towards the noise. Kya followed closely behind.

They heard a muffled “Oh for-,” the last part of which they were not able to make out.

Kya tapped Bumi’s shoulder, getting into her waterbending stance to let him know her intentions. Bumi nodded, walking to the other side of the door in front of him. He gestured with his hands, making elaborate finger symbols and whistles.

Kya stared at him blankly. “Do you really expect me to understand that?”

“Doh!” Buni moaned. “It’s obvious! On three, we open the door.”

“Why didn’t you just say that?”

“Cus I don’t want them to hear - Ohhh let’s just open the damn thing!”

“Right,” Kya said, nodding in agreement.

The siblings made a charge for the door when it flung open, colliding with Bumi’s face. Kya dropped her bending pose when she saw who was in the doorway.

“Korra?” Kya asked, relaxing her arms.

Korra jumped at her name and staggered back. Her cheeks flushed as she hid something behind her back. Bumi found his way around the door and joined the girls.

“Geez Korra, what are you doing sneaking around in the dark?” Bumi asked, his voice was muffled by a hand holding his tender nose.

Kya nodded, giving Korra the once over. “Korra, you’re not running away again are you?” Kya said, starting to panic.

“Korra you can’t do that to us again!” Bumi added.

Korra held up her free hand in defense. “No, no. I’m not running away. I mean I am leaving, but I am coming back.”

Bumi leaned in. “But you just got back, where could you possibly need to go?”

“I’m ah. Well, actually Asami and I. We uh…” Korra started to sweat as she stammered. Her eyes darted back and forth between the siblings. Their stances relaxed as they watched Korra stall. She could hear the note in her hand start to crunch as her grip tightened from stress.

Kya noticed the crinkling noise coming from behind Korra and reached around her.

“We uh, we’re going on a little vacation. Just to get away for ah-hey-”

“You were going to sneak off without telling anyone, weren’t you?” Kya said, gesturing with the note for emphasis.

“I was going to leave that note you’re holding,” Korra whined, trying to grab it back from the older woman.

“‘Dear Tenzin, Asami and I are going to the Spirit World for a brief vacation. Be back soon, Korra.’ That’s it?”

“There’s nothing more to say, we just need to get away for a little while. So we’re gonna go, tonight, but we’ll be back, really soon. Will you give that to Tenzin?”

“Sure,” Kya said, folding her arms.

“Tell him there is no need to worry or come after us. We’ll only be gone a week, maybe two. It’s sort of a spur-of-the-moment thing, so we don’t exactly have a plan.”

“Yeah, we got it Korra, don’t worry.”

The three stood in awkward silence. Korra fidgeted for a moment before readjusting the strap over her shoulder.

“Well, I gotta go. Asami is probably waiting for me, so- see you guys later!” Korra said, making her way between the two.

Kya and Bumi watched Korra stumble down the hall into the darkness.

“Bye Korra…” Kya said as she watched the Avatar disappear.

Bumi’s legs were beginning to fail him again and he grasped the door frame for support. “What’s making her so jumpy? You’d think she was going on date instead of a vacation.”

“Stop it. Let’s go find our beds.”

***

Lin let out a tired sigh as she scanned the party for the umpteenth time. Everything had gone off without a hitch tonight. The evening went so smoothly Lin couldn’t relax because she didn’t believe it was possible. After everything that had happened in the last four years in her city, she was starting to doubt she’d ever see a peaceful time.

A waiter was making his way toward her with a tray of goodies. Perhaps she could allow herself a few indulgences tonight. She wasn’t drinking, so food really was her only option. Lost in thought, she nearly missed the waiter. Lin reached out a hand to grab a stick just in time before he was completely out of range. Her last-minute assault on his food tray startled the waiter. He regained the balance of the tray and continued on, not before shooting back a frustrated look to Lin. She shrugged it off and started eating the kabob.

It wasn’t long before a deflated Mako was walking her way, drink in hand. He grunted as his back made contact with the pillar next to hers. Mako looked over, nodded, and held up his glass slightly.

“Chief.”

“Detective.”

They looked away from each other and back to the party. Everyone had sectioned off into laughing groups around a table or couples swaying on the dance floor. The children who were too young to appreciate the festivities were climbing over a few air bison and Naga.

Mako’s eyes finally locked on Tenzin walking up to Pema. He must have finished talking to Korra too. Pema started to pull him towards the dance floor; he tried to resist but caved very quickly.

Mako let out a long sigh.

“How do you do it?”

Lin raised an eyebrow as she looked over at the young man. “Do what?”

“Watch Tenzin with Pema.”

“Oh, that ‘how do I do it?’ Humph. It’s not so bad, now, but initially, and because it happened so soon after we broke up, it was hard as shit. I didn’t do it.”

Mako looked over at his boss as she spoke. He took a big swig from his glass.

“You know me. You know how I handle my problems. I don’t. I remove myself from the situation until it’s bearable to be in it again. Not a healthy approach, but I never really developed that skill growing up.”

Mako nodded, thinking back to when he was with Lin in Zaofu. How long did Lin say it had been since she saw her sister, twenty or thirty years? He waited for her to continue, but it seemed that was the end of her explanation.

Mako looked down into his drink. Not much liquid left, just a lot of ice. He swirled the glass with his good hand, watching the ice churn up the remaining liquid. Was the ice in the shape of the Varrick Industries logo? Seriously Varrick?

“So are you going to tell me what’s bothering you or are you just going to stand here, annoying me with that sound?” Lin said with a grunt.

Mako flushed, realizing that Lin could see through his paper-thin question, and at the fact that he was maybe just intoxicated enough that he found his ice cubes entertaining.

“I uh, I was speaking with Korra…”

“Here we go, haven’t you had enough of that? Or do you think the third time will be the charm?”

“No, no. It wasn’t like that. Actually, it was... But it didn’t…” Mako shook his head in frustration. Lin had made him lose his train of thought.

“I was speaking with her alone, well Wu was with us first, but then he left. It was the first time we had been alone together since before she left for the South. As we spoke, I realized we had come so far, that we had grown up so much those three years apart. She wasn’t a girl anymore, but a young woman standing there talking to me. It made me wish we were meeting now, for the first time. We are so much more the people we are going to be, instead of those stupid teenagers.”

Lin raised a questioning eyebrow again. “Okay so maybe I was more stupid than she was, but she was pretty hard-headed too!” Mako said defensively.

“As we spoke, I was searching, searching for any indication in her face, her eyes, that she felt it too. That maybe not now, we’re both still so young, but someday. Someday we should try again. But I didn’t. The warmth in her eyes as she looked at me was for that of an old friend. She looked at me like she looks at Tenzin…”

Mako looked down at his drink again. The ice had melted, leaving a diluted brown liquid. “It’s over for her and it felt like she was very much at peace with that. And I... I didn’t realize until tonight that I had never let her go…”

Lin snorted and turned her body towards Mako. “People like Korra and Tenzin shouldn’t be with people like us. I think the reason it hurt so much when Tenzin got together with Pema is she’s so perfect for him.”

Mako bowed his head down again to look at his glass as Lin continued.

“We’re all similar in temperament, but get set off by very different things. They’re too emotional and we’re emotionally constipated. It’s why you’re perfect for this job. You don’t let your emotions get in the way when there is a job to do. But that ‘Spiritual Avatar’ stuff is all grey areas and feelings. It’s enough to drive me nuts. I know Korra is going to meddle in the trial of Kuvira. She spared her life and is going to want to be responsible for it.”

“I know. Things like that about her either drive me crazy or make me love her more.”

“That is what keeps on getting you into trouble. You admire her, but can’t accept all that comes with being with her. What Korra needs is someone like Pema; someone to be her rock, someone who will be patient with her. And you need someone more level-headed like you. How come it never worked out with you and Asami? I feel like you two were a way better fit,” Lin said, pointing to her kabob stick for emphasis.

“Eh, yes and no. We have a similar problem of being too alike and too different, but not in the same ways as Korra and me.” Mako paused a moment to consider his feelings about the subject. “I dunno… It always felt like we were using each other as distractions. Me from my feelings for Korra and her for... I’m not sure what. I could never really figure her out.”

“Well one day they’ll both be with someone else and you’re going to have to get used to it.”

“Thanks, Chief.”

“Any time, Detective.”

Lin put her hand on Mako’s shoulder and mustered a smile for him.

***

“I think I hear wedding bells Suyin,” Senna joked as she took a seat next to Suyin and Pema. The three women looked over at Huan being dragged around the dance floor by Ikki.

“Huan’s been so sweet, humoring her all night,” Pema sighed.

Suyin waved the comment off. “It’s good for him. He’s too serious most of the time.”

“I still believe a wedding is in your near future, just a different child,” Pema said, motioning to Bolin and Opal. The two were cuddled on a bench watching the festivities a few yards away from the mothers.

“Oh, I don’t know if I’m ready for that. Opal’s my only daughter,” Suyin said, putting a hand over her heart. “I had envisioned her being the last of my children to get married or permanent partnered.”

Pema and Senna both raised an eyebrow. “Well, you know we have domestic partnerships in Zaofu. Sadly, if Wei ever entered one, it wouldn’t be legal marriage in the eyes of the Earth Nation, or any other.”

“I didn’t realize one of your children is gay,” Pema said casually.

“I have no qualms with homosexuality. I hope one day all nations can recognize their archaic stance on marriage.”

Pema held up her hands defensively. “Oh, sorry Suyin, that came out wrong. I don’t have a problem with it either. I would love my child, no matter what.”

Suyin nodded as she listened to Pema continue. “Any concerns I’d have would be with the rest of the world. Would they have a tougher life? Will they find a partner? All parents want their children’s lives to be easy.”

“That is why I’m glad I raised him where I did. Zaofu has always strived for progress. Though I have a feeling the United Republic may be the first nation to make it fully legal.”

“Oh, I wouldn’t be surprised, if there is enough support behind it. Raiko always votes with the majority.”

Pema began to notice that Senna had dropped out of the conversation. She looked over at the Avatar’s mother. Her expression was hard to read, but she could at least tell a subject change needed to be made.

“So Suyin, when are you and the family heading back home?”

“After the trial, we all want to be here to support Junior.”

Pema quickly realized she swapped one uncomfortable conversation for another. The light and happy mood the three women initially had was slipping away.

“Well, all I can say is I am so happy that here we are able to have at least one night where we can forget our woes and have a nice get-together. After tonight we probably won’t get to do this till the next wedding.”

Senna finally joined in. “To the next wedding.”

“To the next wedding!” Suyin said, lifting her glass.

***

Tenzin was nearly out of breath when he finally located Varrick. He was nowhere to be found on any of the rooftops, leaving Tenzin to originally believe he was too late in stopping him. But there he was, just sitting at a table laughing and carrying on, oblivious to the effort that had been put into tracking him down.

“There you are. I must insist. You do not. Use a glider. To leave tonight.” Tenzin got out through breaths.

Varrick arched his eyebrow at the deep-breathing man before him. “Tenzin old bean, what are you talking about?”

Everyone at the table was now looking at Tenzin.

“Asami said you were going to fly off with one of my gliders.”

“I think Asami’s been hitting the Champagne a little too hard tonight. I would never fly off on my honeymoon on such an archaic hunk of junk.”

Tenzin furrowed his brow as the groom spoke.

“We’ll be flying outta here on the last working hummingbird suit. It’s actually Asami’s wedding gift to Zhu Li and me.”

“But then why would she...?”

Varrick got out of his chair and put a firm arm around Tezin, causing him to hunch over slightly. “She obviously was pulling your leg! Loosen up, have a drink. That’s not against Air Nomad policy, right?”

“Well-”

“It’s my wedding! This kinda thing is only going to happen to me once!”

“It better,” Zhu Li countered, handing Tenzin a glass of Champagne.

Tenzin thought a moment before accepting the drink offered to him. After everything that had happened, he could allow himself to be a little lax on his principles.

Five toasts later, Tenzin needed to escape the bride and groom’s table before he got into real trouble. He stood up more abruptly than he intended and muttered incoherently about needing to find his wife. Fortunately, no one was paying attention as the old Airbender tripped over his chair while trying to make a smooth exit.

***

Bolin let out a long and content sigh as he and Opal snuggled into their newfound spot.

“Something on your mind?” Opal asked shortly after.

“Actually nothing. Well, nothing troubling. I’m just so happy to be here, with you and all our friends and family. Everything worked out. This was the first time I wasn’t sure it would.”

“I know. I was really mad at you.”

“I mean not just us, but like everything!”

“I’m just teasing, goofball. I know a big part of what you did was to make up with me, but I still can’t thank you enough for helping to save my family. It wasn’t until Baatar Jr. left home that I realized how important my family being together was to me.”

“Even if we weren’t fighting I would have gone with you. Your family is my family and mine is yours. And fortunately, we both have big ones, so we’re used to it! Well, I’m still adjusting to how much I actually have but-” Bolin was cut off by Opal’s lips.

After a few moments, they broke apart. “You talk too much sometimes.”

“Well feel free to stop me anytime,” Bolin said as he tried to get his breathing back to normal.

The two snuggled in silence for a moment. Soon a wobbly Tenzin came into view. The pair waved. “Hey, Tenzin!”

Tenzin kept moving, apparently not hearing his name. He tripped slightly on his robe but caught himself with a quick gust of air.

“Is Tenzin drunk?” asked Opal.

“Sure looks like it. I saw Bumi and Kya staggering away from the party earlier.”

Opal relaxed back into her snuggling with Bolin. “Guess their family has a weak tolerance for alcohol.”

“Somehow that doesn’t surprise me. Can Air Nomads drink?”

“Tenzin never said we couldn’t, but I don’t think it’s encouraged. Alcohol doesn’t really go with self-control.”

***

The three mothers looked up from their conversation as they saw Tenzin approaching.

“Pema, I think I’m ready to go home now. Where are the children?” Tenzin said as he grabbed the back of her chair for balance.

“But the party is just really getting started. We should at least wait until the bride and groom leave.”

Tenzin sighed at the reminder of his pointless venture. Pema got up from her chair and walked toward her husband.

“Also, you still haven’t danced with me tonight.”

“I really shouldn’t, Varrick just coerced me into toasting with him several times over.”

“Did he now? Then you are definitely ready for a dance. The Champagne should loosen you up, now c’mon!”

Tenzin once again resigned himself to his fate and let his wife lead him to the dance floor.

***

The next morning started very slowly at Air Temple Island. Most of the wedding’s guests ended up crashing there.

Pema was the first one up and was feeling fairly fresh for such a late night. She didn’t realize that the bride and groom were such heavy partiers, and ended up exiting the party well after midnight. Pema had been determined last night to stick to her decision to leave after them; it was a tradition to see them off.

It wasn’t long after Pema started cooking that she heard some sounds of life from the rest of the island.

The long dining room table began filling up with heavy-lidded friends and family.

After breakfast everyone stayed around the table, catching up and sharing stories of last night’s party.

Tonraq and Senna eventually joined the group with concerned expressions.

“Good morning. Is Korra here?” Tonraq asked.

Everyone looked around the table; the Avatar’s absence had gone unnoticed.

“She was supposed to meet us for breakfast, but she didn’t show. We figured she might have slept in, but when she didn’t show up to the docks to see us off we got worried,” Senna added.

“I haven’t seen her all morning. Ikki, can you go check her room?” asked Pema.

Tenzin stroked his beard thinking back to when he last saw Korra. “I saw her shortly after the wedding, and then Asami sent me on that wild goose-pig chase.”

“Where is Asami? And Mako?” Opal asked.

Ikki came back alone. “She’s not there.”

“Okay, okay, let me think,” Bolin said, holding out his hands. “Everyone was together when Varrick and Zhu Li left in the hummingbird suit, right?”

Bolin looked around the table, but no one looked confident in that statement.

“Mako caught the bouquet!” Ikki said with a huff.

“Yes, Mako caught the bouquet and skulked off for some reason. He probably just went home last night,” Bolin said, putting a finger down from his left hand as if keeping count.

“You don’t think someone kidnapped her while we were all distracted?” Pema asked.

Bumi looked up from his half-touched and very cold breakfast. “Did we see Korra last night Kya? I have the foggiest memory with her in it.”

Kya perked up from nursing her hangover. “Yeah, we did, didn’t we? She was skulking around in the dark and scared the crap out of us.”

She looked over at her brother Tenzin as she rambled. “You! She left a note for you. Hold on, I think it’s still in these clothes…” Kya said, fishing around in her pockets. Kya finally retrieved a crumpled piece of paper and tossed it over to Tenzin. Bumi gave it a little bump of air to get it across the large table.

The room was quiet as Tenzin unfolded the crinkly note.

“‘Dear Tenzin, Asami and I are going to the spirit world for a brief vacation. Be back soon, Korra.’ That’s it?”

“Yes, that is exactly what I said! And she said don’t call her, she’ll call you. It was all very suspicious now that I think about it.”

“I think it’s a date, and that is why she was all jumpy and sneaky last night,” Bumi said with a huff.

Everyone gasped.

“Again with that you old fool. It’s not a date,” Kya scolded.

The group started to laugh nervously.

Bolin sensed the anxious energy in the room. “That would just be ridiculous, dating the same guy and then dating each other!” He stood up in his chair and motioned for Opal to come with him. “Well since we know where Korra and Asami are, Opal and I are going to go make sure Mako is where we think he is. See ya all later!”

Once the two were away from the crowd Opal leaned over to Bolin. “Good call. That felt really awkward for some reason.”

“I know!" Bolin replies, slapping his plam to his head. "I mean, I don’t think it’s true, but I can’t rule it out as a possibility. The seed of doubt has been planted!”

“I think it’s kind of sweet if it’s true. Those two could do with finding a little happiness and if it’s with each other, then great.”

“Asami was the only one of Team Avatar that hasn’t taken a shot at Korra, so I guess it is her turn.”

Opal smacked Bolin on the shoulder. “What? You and Korra dated?”

“Oh... I forgot you weren’t around for that. I had a crush on Korra when we first met and were on a Pro-bending team together. But she liked Mako and Mako was with Asami and that was when that whole ‘thing’ started. It was like a love square, but then I got booted out pretty quick.”

“Aww, my poor baby wasn’t invited for all the drama.”

“I think it worked out pretty good for me, I ended up with no drama and an amazing girlfriend.”

Opal crosses her arms. “I’m not your consolation prize, am I?”

“Of course not. In the end, you turned out to be the perfect girl for me. I don’t know if things happen for a reason, but it’s interesting to see how people and events in our lives push us in certain directions. Had I never met Korra I never would have gone to Zaofu and met you.”

“Had Korra never left the spirit portal open, I never would have gotten airbending and you never would have stopped in Zaofu. I think we owe that girl a gift basket or something.”

“How about we treat her and Asami to a double date when they get back?”

“So I take it you’re officially on the ‘it’s a date’ side?” Opal said as Bolin scooped her into his arms.

“I’m on your side. Whichever side it is, I will follow you, my love!”

Opel softly hit Bolin in the chest. “I already told you I’ve forgiven you for that!”

“I know, I just want to make sure you know, I will never choose a side over you ever again. Now let’s go find my brother!” Bolin said enthusiastically as he starting to carry Opal towards the air bison pen. “And maybe not tell him about what everyone is saying about the nature of this mystery vacation.”

 

To be continued...

Chapter 2: Moments From the Past: Part One

Summary:

Before we continue towards the future, let us first visit the past.

Notes:

3 years ago...

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

The ride back to Republic City had felt like the longest trip of Asami’s life. Her airship was at capacity with the addition of the entire Air Nation and a Suyin’s elite guard.

Suyin was unwilling to go back to Zaofu until she personally saw Zaheer behind bars. Asami was happy to have so many eyes on Zaheer, but the sheer number of people she needed to care for was starting to get complicated. The course was set to fly straight back to Republic City, with no stops. Best case scenario they’d be back in twenty-six hours. People would need to sleep and have a few meals in that time. The more Asami thought about it, the more it seemed a layover was unavoidable.

Asami got up from her seat in the cockpit to grab a map.

“Liang, can you think of any good places we could dock for a couple of hours to get some supplies?” Asami asked, looking at her vessel’s captain.

“We could stop in Omashu, that city shouldn’t be too affected by the recent events, Miss Sato.”

“It will have to do. I’m going to take inventory. Please set the course to Omashu,” the engineer said, placing the map in the captain’s hands.

“Yes Miss Sato,” he said with a bow.

Asami didn’t need to check the inventory, she knew what they didn’t have; everything. She just needed something new to distract her from thinking about Korra. She had been loaded onto the ship as soon as Zaheer was secured. Since then her room had been overflowing with concerned faces. Asami didn’t want to add to the suffocation Korra was likely feeling.

The engineer knew if she really wanted to help, she needed to do her part in getting everyone home safe. Unable to bend, Asami found her management and technological abilities to be her best asset to the Avatar. Not that she felt she was being used. She wanted to help in any way she could. It was a feeling that had been growing stronger over the course of their search for the airbenders.

Asami closed the pantry door behind her as she stepped inside.

“Hey.”

The engineer jumped, not expecting to find anyone inside.

“Sorry to startle you, but I needed to get away from the crowd,” Lin explained as she relaxed back into a shelf.

Asami walked over to the clipboard hanging from a string on the wall. “It’s fine. I was just checking inventory. We picked up a few more passengers than I originally planned for.”

“Humph. That’s for damn sure.”

Asami pretended to check her list as she walked down the aisle. “So uh,” she managed to stammer out, her mouth growing dry all of the sudden. “How is she... how is she doing?” Asami finished, keeping her eyes on her clipboard.

Lin picked up a can and examined it before answering. “Looks like hell, but I think she’ll pull through. Our only healer is banged up as well, so the sooner we get back the better,” she said, putting the can back on the shelf.

“We need to stop for supplies. We’re going to Omashu. Perhaps we could locate a healer while we’re there.”

“A decent healer in Omashu... I dunno,” Lin said, rubbing the back of her head.

“I know it’s not ideal, but we need to restock our supplies and  empty the ship’s septic tank. I’m willing to pay for the best healer they have.”

Lin nodded. The two women made brief eye contact. The first since Asami entered the pantry. Lin broke it to stare at the floor again. “I’ll take the boys with me and see who we can find when we land.”

“Thank you.”

“You can go see her too you know. You’re part of the team.”

Asami tapped her pencil nervously on the clipboard. “I don’t want to impose…”

“It’d be odd if you didn’t. Even I braved the crowd.”

Lin pushed off from her spot and put a hand on Asami’s shoulder. She met Lin’s gaze again at the action. “I get it. It was hard for me to accept I was a part of the group and not just a bystander. But you are now, a hundred percent. The sooner you accept it, the easier it becomes. And when it gets too much handle you can sneak away to a closet from time to time.”

“Thank you for understanding.”

***

Asami waited until after the stop in Omashu to visit Korra. She needed to be sure everything and everyone she was responsible for was taken care of. By this time everyone was weary from their twenty-hour vigil and more or less asleep somewhere on the ship.

Asami pulled a chair out next to a passed-out Tonraq at Korra’s bedside. She too appeared to be asleep or unconscious. Word had made it to the cockpit that even after the healer came, the Avatar continued to slip in and out. Asami couldn’t tell the difference so she chose to believe her friend was just sleeping like everyone else.

Lin wasn’t exaggerating about Korra’s appearance. The bruises from her battle with Zaheer had fully come in, covering most of her exposed body.

“You do look like hell,” Asami whispered, brushing Korra’s cheek with a feather-light touch.

“Thanks,” Korra said in a soft and scratching voice. Asami nearly jumped from her chair. “Korra?”

The Avatar took a few ragged breaths before answering. She didn’t open her eyes.

“Thanks for being honest about how I look. I haven’t seen myself, but I can tell they’re sugar-coating everything.”

“You should really thank Lin, she described your appearance that way first.”

They both fell silent. Asami kept thinking about all she wanted to say to Korra. How worried she was, how happy she was that she’s alive. Asami knew those things had been said fifteen times over already. She settled for instead placing her hand on top of Korra’s. Korra didn’t move or open her eyes. Perhaps she had fallen back to sleep, Asami thought to herself. She tested rubbing her thumb on the back of Korra’s hand, ever so lightly. Unsure if Korra’s hands were just as tender as the rest of her body.

Asami looked up from their hands when a glimmer caught the corner of her eye. A tear trickled from Korra’s closed eye, leaving a wet trail down her cheek. Apparently sensing Asami’s gaze, Korra tried to turn away as best she could.

It broke Asami’s heart to watch Korra cry silently. She wanted to wipe Korra’s cheek but feared acknowledging the tears directly would embarrass her further. So she continued her caress the back of Korra’s hand.

“Do you want me to go?”

“No,” Korra whimpered.

So Asami stayed by her side the rest of the ride home.

***

Two weeks since they landed back in Republic City Korra had sunk into further and further seclusion. Turning away all visitors she considered outside of their inner circle. She only let Pema assist her with any of her more personal needs. Even Mako, Bolin and Asami were getting dismissed sooner during their visits.

The three currently sat around the dining table at Air Temple Island waiting for Korra to be prepped for a new day.

Bolin’s eyes darted between Mako and Asami. With Korra’s growing distance came a similar feeling from his brother and friend.

Bolin tried to stay positive. Korra would recover and then everything would go back to the way it was. It had to, he thought, with a slight nod of his head. When they were traveling across the Earth Kingdom looking for airbenders they had so much fun. Well, before the whole Red Lotus fiasco and the Earth Queen getting murdered. Everyone was finally getting along, there was no drama. They all found their groove and worked together perfectly. He couldn’t watch that all slip away now.

“It usually doesn’t take this long, maybe I should go see if they need any help…” Asami said, getting up from the table. Mako mirrored Asami’s actions.

“I’ll come too.”

Asami turned around and put her hands up in front of Mako. “No, you stay here.”

Mako scowled and pressed against Asami’s raised hands.

“Korra’s bathing and getting dressed, I doubt there is much she would let you help with,” Asami explained, meeting his eyes.

Mako looked away and took a step back. “Right,” he said in a soft tone. Asami tried to muster a sympathetic smile for him. They locked eyes once more before Asami turned and left.

The firebender let out a frustrated groan and shot back down to his seat next to Bolin. “I hate this. I hate that there is nothing I can do.”

Bolin lowered his head. “I know…” He sighed as he started to pick at a chip on the table.

Mako was up again and marching out of the room. “No, you don’t!”

Bolin turned around to catch his brother and respond, but Mako was already out of the room. Bolin put his elbows on the table and let his chin rest his hands. “So much for keeping us together…”

***

Asami made her way through the hall until she came upon the closed door of Korra’s room. She could hear Korra and Pema’s voices. The engineer gave a knock before sliding the door open. The two hadn’t noticed the knocking. Korra was on the floor and Pema was hovering over her.

“Need a hand?” Asami said playfully, immediately regretting her tone.

“Oh Asami, I’m glad you’re here. Korra took a tumble while we were putting her pants on,” Pema said, heading towards Asami.

“We’re fine!” Korra hollered from her spot.

Pema put a hand on Asami’s shoulder and spoke softly. “I can’t lift her. We’ve been struggling for twenty minutes like this. I need your help, but you need to be gentle, verbally.”

While the two spoke Korra continued to try and pull herself up onto the bed, only succeeding in pulling the blankets off.

“Korra we’re coming. Just sit tight,” Pema scolded as she watched the girl flop onto the floor for the hundredth time.

“I’m crippled, not a child Pema!” Korra barked back.

Pema sucked in a deep breath and ushered Asami over to Korra. “If we each take a shoulder, we should be able to get her up.” Asami nodded in agreement. Each woman took a side of Korra and heaved. The Avatar groaned as they lifted her off the floor; each of her shoulder sockets made a loud pop.

Pema and Asami successfully got Korra onto the bed. She slumped down onto her stomach as soon as they let go.

“I can take it from here,” Asami said, sensing Pema and Korra might need a break from each other. Pema nodded. “I’ll be in the kitchen if you need me,” she said before leaving. Asami gave Pema a smile and then turned to her friend on the bed.

Korra managed to pull herself a bit farther up the bed, but she was still facing away from Asami.

“So what else needs to be done?”

“Nothing, you can just go. Tell Bolin and Mako to come back tomorrow.”

“I’m not leaving, and I doubt they will either,” Asami said, sitting down next to Korra. “What, are you embarrassed about your fall? It’s not a big deal Korra, we are all happy to help you while you recover. You would do the same for us.”

“I don’t think I’m going to recover.”

“Korra that’s not true.”

“I thought you weren’t going to sugar-coat things with me! Look at me! My legs don’t work, I can barely feel anything!” The Avatar buried her face in the sheet.

“Asami, I think my body is broken…”

“No Korra you’re badly hurt, but not broken.”

Korra shook her head over and over into the sheets, letting out a sob.

Asami got up and left the room. Her departure was so abrupt Korra looked up from her wet sheets, a tear or two still falling down her cheeks. As quickly as Asami left, she returned to the room.

“Okay, I told the Bolin to come back after lunch with Mako. So now we have some more time to get you ready.”

Korra didn’t respond but continued to keep her head up to watch Asami.

Asami put her hand to her chin as she looked around Korra’s room. “I think a part of why you don’t feel like yourself is because you’re not wearing your clothes. I’d feel useless too if I spent days in my pajamas.”

“It hasn’t mattered, I don’t leave the island,” Korra said as she lowered herself back onto her stomach.

“Still, it’s an important part of your routine that has been broken and you need to get back in it.” Asami opened up the Avatar’s closet to retrieve her old daily outfit. She placed each piece out on the bed next to Korra.

“It’s been easier for just Pema and me to do these clothes,” Korra added, pulling at her loose nightshirt.

“Well until you can do this yourself, I’m coming over in the morning to help too. Now let’s get you started for the day.”

***

Pema finally felt her patience return after a couple dozen dishes.

She had four children so she’d dealt with all kinds of behavior, but Korra’s despair was something she was having difficulty handling. It had been steadily getting worse. Just getting her to want to get out of bed was becoming a chore in itself.

Pema patted dry her hands and made her way back to Korra’s room. When she opened the door she found Korra sitting in her wheelchair dressed in her day clothes. Asami was standing behind her brushing out her hair. They hadn’t noticed Pema’s presence, since they were turned away from the door.

Asami moved to the front of the chair and kneeled down to be at eye level with Korra. She pulled forward two sections of hair. “How much do you leave out for your tails?”

Korra reached out her unsteady hands and took the sections of hair from Asami.

“Just a little less than this,” the Avatar said as she tried to let loose some of the hair from her hands.

“Perfect. Now you hold them while I put up your wolf tail, Asami said, getting back up to her position behind Korra.

Pema decided they had it covered and left them alone. She was relieved when Asami arrived at Air Temple Island early the next day.

 

To be continued...

Notes:

Any Corrections/Spelling/Grammar are welcome.

Chapter 3: Moments From the Past: Part Two

Summary:

More from the past...

Chapter Text

Korra slowly walked down the hall she knew would lead to Asami’s bedroom. She came to a closed door. Though she felt hesitation, her hand thrusted towards the handle with purpose. Inside, Asami was brushing her hair in front a large vanity. The silk Fire Nation robe she wore clung to her waist, but hung loosely from her shoulders and thighs. This allowed the fabric to pool and hang low, exposing her milky skin. Korra knew Asami was considered a woman who exuded sexuality, but she had never experienced it being directed at her. She felt herself being caught under the spell and unconsciously made her way towards the source.

Asami waited until Korra was only a few steps away before turning around in her seat to face her. The Avatar stopped in her tracks. Asami’s only acknowledgment was a smile and flip of her hair. The engineer then turned back to the mirror and brushed a few more strokes before setting the hairbrush on the vanity. Korra stayed in her spot and watched.

Asami rose from her seat and took a few steps to meet Korra. She then pressed herself into the Avatar’s quickly accepting arms.

Korra sighed, feeling all stress leave her body at the contact. Asami moved her head so her mouth was right by Korra’s ear. Her breath tickled as she began to speak. It sent shivers down the Avatar.

“My love, I’ve waited so long…”

“What have you been waiting for?” Korra thought.

“Korra…” Asami said in a breathy voice, dragging out the moment. “Will you make love with me tonight?”

The word ‘yes’ left Korra’s lips with little hesitation. Before she knew what was happening the two were a tangled on the bed. Asami kept whispering soft words of encouragement and appreciation. It was making Korra’s head spin from the sensory overload.

It was so dark that all the Avatar could see were white patches of Asami’s pale skin. It was beautiful and she wanted to see more. Korra let out a growl as her hands wrapped around Asami’s robe. She met resistance at first but kept pulling until it opened.

Suddenly there was a flash of white, and Asami’s naked form was on top of her.

“Korra…”

“Say my name again.”

Korra’s vision started fading, or was the room getting darker?

“Korra… Korra…”

The room continued to darken, and Korra opened her eyes wider in an attempt to see better.

“Korra.”

Her world went black but she could still feel the soft flesh on top of her.

“Korra!”

The voice was no longer Asami’s and it finally clicked in Korra’s brain that she was waking up from a dream. At the realization, Korra’s eyes shot open and she was looking at her mother.

Senna was seated at the end of the bed, with her right hand lightly shaking Korra’s leg.

“Mom?” Korra asked, blinking several times as she sat up in bed.

“I’m sorry to wake you, but it sounded like you were having another nightmare.”

Korra’s thoughts drifted back to the dream she was just having. That was...

The Avatar noticed for the first time in a very long time the existence of the anatomy between her legs. Not only was she aware of it, but it felt nice. How long had it been since any part of her body felt that way? Frankly, this particular area was one of her last concerns since she could still barely walk.

“Korra honey, do you want to talk about it?”

Korra’s face flushed at the thought. She had forgotten all about her mother at that moment. She suddenly felt ashamed for being in her physical state with her mother present.

“No! No. It was just a dream. I’m okay. I’m going to go back to sleep.”

The Avatar desperately wanted her mother to leave so she could process what happened. Senna gave her a concerned look like she wasn’t satisfied with her daughter’s answer. Korra tried to silently convey she was okay. Senna sighed, accepting defeat, and kissed her daughter on the forehead before leaving the room.

Korra let out a deep sigh and let her head fall back on the pillow. What was that dream? It was like it was from another life or another time. Asami and her like that?

The Avatar’s hand slid down her stomach and dipped into her sleeping bottoms. When her hand made contact with the hair above her mound she caught onto what she was subconsciously doing. Korra let her eyes close as her hand slowly petted the area. Snippets of the dream came back. Asami’s pale skin… Her hand ventured a little lower. Asami’s lips brushing against her ear... Soon a familiar wetness greeted her fingers; just like the other times, she touched herself there. “Korra… make me yours…” the Avatar’s eyes flashed open. It was as though she could hear Asami in the room.

Again Korra felt shame wash over her. Asami was a friend, a girlfriend. Doing this and thinking about her? It was just a dream... It had been so long since anything had felt good... Asami would never know.

She allowed her hand to continue towards release.

The following morning Korra awoke with a refreshed feeling, for the first time in a year.

***

Senna couldn’t stop pacing. Her husband called when he said he would, but without Korra. Apparently, their daughter had been lying to the both of them and never stepped foot in Republic City. No one knew where she was.

Senna was racking her mind, trying to think where she would have gone. She stopped her pacing in front of Korra’s room. Perhaps there was some clue inside as to where she went. Senna had not been in the room since her daughter left. Letters were stacked in the corners. So many notes of encouragement over the two and half years Korra was home. It warmed Senna’s heart that they never stopped after all that time. A few letters had trickled in over the past few months, but Senna didn’t think anything of them to read who was sending them. She just assumed they were from well-wishers outside of Republic City.

She sat next to the stack of unopened envelopes she had been piling on Korra’s bed. Senna grabbed a handful and checked the sender’s address. Future Industries, Zaofu, Air Temple Island, Republic City, Future Industries. Had she just looked at the letters coming in she would have caught onto Korra’s deception so much sooner. A rock began to sink in Senna’s stomach. How could she have overlooked this?

Senna put her head in her hands, causing the letters in her lap to slide off and fall on the floor.

She had sensed some deception from her daughter when discussing her plans about going back to Republic City. And no White Lotus escort? How could she have dismissed that red flag?

Senna let out sigh. She ignored the little nagging thought because it was the first time Korra seemed more like her old self. There was still sadness in her eyes, but not the empty despair.

Caring for Korra during her recovery had definitely aged her and Tonraq. The physical demand wasn’t nearly as hard as the emotional. These past six months had given her time to reflect on the past years; see the new lines on their faces, the bigger patches of grey hair.

She knew life with her child being the Avatar was going to be hard. The White Lotus warned them over and over. Being told to emotionally prepare for it and actually going through it were two different experiences. Especially as they learned the White Lotus had little information to offer in raising an Avatar.

It was only a few weeks ago that a White Lotus member came to interview the two of them about their experience in rehabilitating Korra. It was like opening up the wounds all over again. She knew it was to benefit future parents of Avatars, but part of her wished no other parent would have to go through it.

After the White Lotus member left, Senna thought about what life would have been like had they had another child. It was something Senna had wanted even before they discovered who Korra was. The White Lotus and Tonraq agreed it would be too difficult for a child to be the Avatar’s sibling that they would be forever in Korra’s shadow. It broke her heart but she yielded to their opinions. A big part of Senna wished she had fought for that child. A child she could have a more normal life with; one who would stay close to home and raise a family; a child who belonged to only her and Tonraq, and not the whole world.

Guilt flooded Senna’s heart. The tears that had been threatening to fall since Tonraq’s phone call forced their way out.

After a few moments, Senna resolved to not fall apart. She sucked in a deep breath and got off the bed. She bent down to grab the fallen envelopes when the corner of a box under the bed caught her eye. She shoved the letters collected in her arms on the bed before pulling them out.

It was a simple wooden box. Senna wasn’t familiar with it, but that didn’t mean she’d never seen it in here before. She hesitated for a moment about invading her daughter’s privacy. Korra was missing and this could have the answer as to why. Senna flipped the lid and inside were a few knickknacks and a stack of letters bound up with a leather strip.

Perhaps Korra had been corresponding secretly with someone? Senna quickly undid the tie and opened the top letter. She scanned the letter down to the bottom to see it was signed by her daughter’s friend Asami. Senna furrowed her brow in confusion. Perhaps it was just a collection of Korra’s favorite letters? She had seen some of the drawings Bolin did, they were pretty cute. She picked up the next letter and saw it was also signed by Asami. Again and again, Asami was the sender. It was just a stack of Asami’s letters.

Senna picked one at random and read it:

 

Dear Korra,

I know I’ve said this so many times, but I miss you.

I don’t know what else to say, I just felt like talking to you in some way.

I had a dream about being with you in the desert again.

It was so real I could almost smell the sandy night air.

That was a pretty crazy adventure we had...

I have so many fond memories from our trip to find new airbenders.

I hope we can go on an adventure again someday.

I hear the weather has been harsh in the south this winter.

Hope you’ve been able to get outside every once in a while.

The sun will do your body good.

Always,

Asami

 

Senna put the letter down. Korra had sent only one letter during the two and half years she was home. She recalled just being so shocked her daughter handed her an outgoing letter that she didn’t think anything of who it was addressed to… Why would she?

The answers she was looking for were obviously not here. Senna hastily gathered the letters back together and tied them back up. She sealed up the box, slid it back under Korra’s bed and left the room.

Senna decided to make herself some tea to calm her nerves, then sat at the kitchen table while she waited for her water to boil. She was worried about where Korra was, but for some reason the discovery in her daughter’s room was at the forefront of her thoughts.

The kettle started to whistle and Senna got up to take it off the heat. She poured the water into her teapot and brought it to the table along with a cup. She impatiently tapped her fingers on the table while waiting for the leaves to steep.

Senna shot up from her seat and went back into Korra’s room. She came back to her spot at the table with the wooden box in hand. Senna poured herself a cup of tea and picked up a letter.

***

The night creatures sang their songs as Korra sprawled out on a limb of a tree not too far from Toph’s cave.

It had been three days since she met up with Toph. Three days of a tiny old woman tossing her around like a doll. It was humiliating. Maybe Toph was trying to shame her into recovery. At least it was a tactic no one had tried on her yet.

“What am I doing here?” Korra asked aloud.

The Avatar let out a long sigh. For the first time in a long time, her thoughts were not consumed with her recovery. The pain had become like an old friend. A friend she could count on being there to fill her mind and whisper to her in the night. Since her arrival in the swamp, the voice in her head had started to go quiet.

Korra looked up to see the stars, but her view was mostly blocked by vines. They reminded her of Republic City. She had learned from friend’s letters that the city had found a way to work with the vines. Korra wondered what that looked like; it was such a mess when she was kicked out all those years ago.

Asami probably tried to describe it to her in her letters, but all that technical stuff never made much sense. The thought of Asami made her stomach tense. Thinking about her friend was confusing and so she tried to avoid it all together. At a weak moment, she wrote to Asami. She wasn’t sure why she did or why she never wrote back to anyone till then. After two and a half years of one-sided conversations; Korra knew she’d have some explaining to do if and when she got back. She honestly didn’t know what she’d tell everyone.

Korra started to feel frustrated. She sat up and repositioned herself to a sit upright.

How could they understand what she had gone through, was going through? Why write over and over to them that she still wasn’t well, may never be well? During those years she felt they were all better off if they just forgot about her. Part of her still felt that now.

Korra groaned and jumped up from her seat. She started punching fire blasts and kicked a few boulders into the dark woods. The sudden disturbance quieted the nearby critters. She needed to push out her thoughts of Republic City and those who inhabited it and instead think about what really mattered; the next steps in her recovery.

The Avatar pushed off from the branch and landed in the mud with a soft splat. She kicked out one more fire blast before entering Toph’s cave.

“Remember Twinkle Toes, I’m blind, not deaf.”

Korra jumped, not expecting Toph to still be awake.

“I’m sorry; I was just venting some frustration.”

“Well next time airbend it out, it’s much quieter," Toph grumbled as she rolled back over to sleep.

“Goodnight Toph.”

The only response Korra got back was a soft grunt. She sighed, curled up in on her bedroll, and tried to fall asleep.


To be continued…

Chapter 4: Moments From the Past: Part Three

Summary:

The last installment from "Moments From the Past."

Notes:

Any grammar/spelling corrections are welcome.

Chapter Text

Bolin stared at the items he had finished laying out on his bed. Five pairs of undershorts and shirts, five pairs of black socks, the two pairs of pants and the jacket sent by Kuvira, a pair of boots, a notebook, a few pencils, and lastly a picture of him and Opal.

“That’s everything on my list,” he said to himself as he grabbed his duffle and tossed it on the bed.

The following morning he was scheduled to travel to the Earth Kingdom with Varrick and Zhu Li. He was both excited and nervous to be leaving on this next adventure. The entrepreneur assured him it was going to be an honest gig, with none of the funny business of their last collaboration.

Bolin was initially confused as to why Varrick asked him to join him to work with Kuvira. He didn’t have much to offer in the technical skills department. Apparently, Varrick had mentioned his people skills during his pitch to Kuvira and she requested he is brought along.  Varrick boasted that Kuvira was willing to even create a job for him if necessary.

Bolin had to admit it was nice to be wanted. For the past few months, he had felt pretty lost and alone. Everyone seemed to have their thing, except him. Mako threw himself back into ‘the beat.’ Opal was away to the Earth Kingdom for weeks at a time. Asami got the bid for rebuilding the city. She was initially able to throw him some work moving debris, but he wasn’t qualified for building structures, which was the phase the city was in now. And Korra was still in the south, recovering.

The earthbender’s heart went out to his lost friend. Zaheer seemed to have done more damage than anyone expected, or maybe it was just their exaggerated expectations of what the Avatar could take. She was human after all. Whatever the case, Korra proved to be the glue that bound the group together. No one was willing to admit it. Everyone’s excuse for not being available had been the crisis in the Earth Kingdom or here in the city. They’d be doing what they were doing even if Korra was around, but he knew the truth. If Korra was here they’d all be back in the Earth Kingdom fixing everything together. Bolin figured he might as well go now and be there for when Korra was ready to get back in the action.

“Maybe I’ll write her one more time before I leave,” Bolin thought to himself. He grabbed his duffel with purpose and placed it near the door. He sat down at his desk and pulled out a few pieces of paper. “I should have enough time before I need to get ready for dinner at Air Temple Island.”

***

The wind whipped through Asami’s hair as the sand-sailer tore through the desert towards the setting sun. She steered while Korra propelled the craft at the front of the ship. She couldn’t help but admire the Avatar’s muscular arms and back as she bent the air around them into the sail.

Korra turned around, motioned with her head towards their passengers, and shrugged her shoulders. Asami interpreted the gesture as wanting to know how they were fairing. She gave a ‘thumbs-up’ and shrugged back. This seemed to satisfy Korra and she turned back around.

Suddenly their ride got a little bumpier as Korra started to airbend harder into the sail. The bigger gusts caused their craft to bounce over the sand dunes. The Avatar looked back, sporting her signature crooked smile. The smile that caused Asami’s stomach to do flips.

Korra continued to show off, making them stay airborne longer over each dune. Asami figured two could play this game and began to steer hard, causing them to instead ride the curves of the dunes. She slalomed in between the towering mounds of sand.

Korra tried to take back the reins but Asami’s control over the steering was stronger. The Avatar looked back at her frustrated but still smiling. Asami responded with a flip of her hair.

Caught up in the moment they didn’t hear the captain’s first two attempts to get their attention. Finally, Korra noticed the man waving his arm behind the sail. She stopped bending and their vessel coasted a little ways before coming to a complete stop.

“You two finished having fun?” The captain shouted.

Korra put a hand behind her head and scratched nervously. “Sorry…”

“We were just testing the limitations of this sand-sailer. I may want to start producing them,” Asami said as she winked at Korra.

“Yes, strictly business. Since we’re stopped, why don’t we take a break?” the Avatar suggested.

The temperature was starting to drop with the sun. The Earth Kingdom crew huddled together on a nearby dune. Korra and Asami chose a separate dune, a little ways ahead of the sand-sailer. There was still no sign of human life. Just sand as far as their eyes could see. Asami sat down first and Korra followed suit. They sat for a while in silence.

“I’m so amazed sometimes by what you can do,” Korra said with her eyes on the horizon.

Asami looked over at Korra, but she didn’t move.

“I take for granted my abilities to bend elements to my whim, forgetting there are those who can’t even bend one.” Korra looked down at her hands.

“What you did today, that was all stuff you figured out how to do. Thank you, for being so awesome,” the Avatar said, finally meeting Asami’s gaze.

Asami’s face was beginning to get warm, but once Korra’s eyes met hers, it was red hot. She quickly turned away. Asami pretended to cough as a cover and flipped her hair. “You were pretty amazing yourself today Avatar.”

Asami sneaked a peak at Korra through her hair. Korra was grinning wide and Asami wasn’t sure why.

And then Asami woke up, as she did every time she had this dream. She knew how it ended, the captain shouted at them about continuing on their journey and so they got up and left.

This dream was a memory, but she’d dreamed it so many times Asami had begun to wonder if it ever really happened. Korra herself had started to feel like a dream. A year had passed and still no word.

Asami rolled over in her bed to see out her window. It was late morning, she could tell that much. Fortunately, it was Sunday, so it really didn’t matter what time it was. She did need to get up at some point to prepare for dinner at Air Temple Island.

Pema attempted to start a weekly dinner with Team Avatar every Sunday. Asami bowed out most weeks, claiming to be busy, but tonight she had to go. Bolin had an important announcement and would not take no for an answer.

The engineer sighed, admitting mental defeat. Wait any longer and getting out of bed was going to be a real chore.

***

Asami ended up being the last to arrive. So many familiar faces were seated around the long wooden table of the Airbender home. Many she hadn’t seen in months, Tenzin’s family plus Bumi, Bolin, Opal, Lin, and Kai. Bolin flagged her over to the table and she took the only empty spot between Ikki and Meelo. She noticed they were both bigger than the last time she saw them. She couldn’t even place the when that was.

Bolin stood up from his spot. The table went quiet.

“Everyone, thank you for coming. And Pema and Tenzin thank you for hosting tonight, and every Sunday night. I’m really going to miss this and all of you!”

“Miss us? What are you talking about?” Mako interrupted.

“I was getting there. I wanted to make sure you were all here tonight because I have an announcement. I got a job with Kuvira and will be shipping off tomorrow night with Varrick and Zhu Li.”

Opal stood up from her seat next to Bolin. “What? You’re going to work for that woman after she betrayed my mother and family?”

Bolin turned to face her. “What do you mean?”

“I told you what she did! Were you not listening?” Opal shouted.

“I did… but that really doesn’t have anything to do with her work. She’s doing so much good in the Earth Kingdom. You’re doing so much good. I want to be a part of the solution over there. I want to do what Korra would do over there.” The earthbender was now addressing the whole table. Everyone remained silent.

Opal, fed up with the conversation, pushed passed Bolin. “Korra wouldn’t be working alongside a tyrant!”

Bolin looked around the table for some instruction; everyone gave him a blank stare, still overwhelmed by the conversation that had just transpired. When he made eye contact with Asami she motioned towards the direction Opal had exited. Bolin nodded and ran off after Opal.

“Well that went well,” Bumi said aloud to no one in particular.

Pema rose from her seat. “We should all be sure to go see him off tomorrow. We don’t want him to leave thinking there is any ill will.” No one spoke up in disagreement.

Next Mako stood up from the table. “I need some air…” he murmured before walking off. Asami watched him go and debated on following him or not.

Pema must have sensed her internal debate. “You might as well go too; maybe you can get them to all come back. You’ve tamed tougher beasts.”

Asami met Pema’s eyes and suddenly felt very guilty for all the Sunday dinners she didn’t come to. She made a silent vow to be better about visiting with her… family…?

“I’ll see what I can do. I’ll be back next Sunday, I promise,” Asami said, leaving the table.

Lin decided to break the silence. “Well, that was awkward. What’s with those kids lately?”

“They all miss Korra,” Jinora sighed.

“I miss Korra! When is she coming home?” Ikki interjected.

“We don’t know sweetie when she is ready,” Tenzin answered, shifting in his seat.

Ikki slumped down in her seat and poked at her food. “Ugh, you keep saying that, but what does that even mean?”

Tenzin stroked his beard before answering. “Korra is going through a very difficult emotional and physical process. At this point, when she gets better is really up to her. Only Korra will know when she’s ready to come back.”

“I bet she’d feel better sooner if she was back here,” Meelo added.

***

Asami found Mako by the dock, waiting for the next ferry.

“Need a lift, stranger?” Asami called out.

Mako turned around. “If you’re offering.”

“C’mon, let’s get out of here,” Asami said as she got onto her boat. Mako followed.

Asami’s ‘Satoboat’ cut through the dark waters towards Republic City. She always loved the view from the ride back. All the city lights twinkled and danced on the water. Asami would look at it and think, home.

Now Bolin was leaving home. He and Mako were just as much natives as she was to Republic City. It wasn’t till Korra decided to go back to the south that Asami remembered that Republic City was not Korra’s home too.

Korra was like a whirlwind in all of their lives. Everything changed when she met Korra. So much that it wasn’t till she left and things calmed down that Asami had a moment to reflect.

Asami thought about the nights she wandered her mansion, going into the dozens of rooms to see what was even in there. It was amazing how even one other person had made the home not feel so empty. She had spent so little time home since her father’s arrest, that it was just finally sinking in.

Asami purged each room of any reminder of her father, storing everything in his study. A closet was a better use of the room considering the ideas that he formed in there.

The one room she couldn’t bring herself to touch was the same room her father couldn’t, the master bedroom. It had become the shrine to her mother; everything left the way she had. Even her brushes and makeup were left in the very last position she placed them in. Her father slept in his study so he wouldn’t disturb it. Asami wondered if the separation from his wife and the room they shared only fed into his bitterness.

Asami docked the boat and they both jumped out. They both stood there for a moment unsure of what to do next. Finally, Mako spoke up. “Want to go grab a drink? I could really use one.”

Asami nodded in agreement.

The two ended up at a small bar not too far from the docks. The lighting inside was dim, only a few couples were inside drinking in the dark corners. The pair sat at the bar and waited to be served.

“I want to be happy for him, but... something doesn’t feel right,” Mako said, breaking the silence, rubbing the back of his head as he spoke.

“I know how you feel. I’m glad he’s finally found something, but the military? It just doesn’t seem like Bolin.”

“I want to trust his judgment, but it doesn’t have the best track record.”

“We were all a little fooled by Varrick,” Asami added. “So far it seems that man has finally turned over a new leaf.”

The bartender finally made his way over to wait on them. Asami and Mako paused their conversation to order. The bartender quickly came back and placed the two glasses in front of the pair. They each took a swig of their respective beverage.

Mako placed his glass down on the counter with a little thud. “The other thing that concerns me is Opal’s reaction. I don’t know what Kuvira did, but it really seemed to have really pissed her off. And I’ve never seen that girl angry.”

“I don’t know much about Kuvira. I’ve seen her in the paper from time to time, but it’s pretty general reporting. Whatever she’s doing, it’s proving to be effective. Bolin’s got a good head on his goofy shoulders. If it’s not right for him he’ll come home.”

“You’re probably right…” Mako paused to take another sip. “I’m probably just overreacting because I feel guilty. I haven’t spent much time with him lately and now I’m really going to miss him. I feel like I always take things for granted until they’re gone. I never thought my own brother would be one of them.”

“Bolin’s not going away forever. He’ll come home at some point.” Asami said, patting her hand on Mako’s shoulder.

“Yeah, just like Korra will be back at ‘some point’,” Mako said, finishing off his drink and slamming it on the counter.

Mentioning Korra was all you needed to do to end a conversation. She couldn’t think of that last time she heard someone speak her name aloud before Bolin did tonight. Everyone seemed to be affected by her absence. It was clear that Mako had been spending just as much time away from the group as she had.

Asami swirled her drink before taking another sip. She watched Mako order another round for the two of them. When it came he slid Asami’s in front of her without a word and took a sip from his own glass.

The pair had found themselves in a familiar scenario, hurting and lonely. Asami knew how easy it would be to seek comfort from him. Mako wouldn’t make the first move, but he wouldn’t turn away any advances either. All she needed to do was put her head on his shoulder or hang onto his arm and he’d give in to his own loneliness.

Asami wondered, would he also be thinking about Korra. She suspected the firebender still carried a flame for Korra. He always did choose her in the end. And Asami herself… she knew why she’d be thinking about Korra, for reasons she was finally willing to admit to herself. She was in love with Korra, just admitting that fact silently made her stomach tighten. When Asami caught herself falling for the Avatar a year ago she wasn’t surprised, she was furious. The feelings she’d been working so hard on suppressing always seemed to come back.

Korra was not the first girl Asami had ever had feelings for. As far back as she could remember she was attracted to girls. Asami quickly learned what she was feeling was something she should keep to herself. It was her father who made her feel the most ashamed about it. When she was fourteen, she had a close friend who seemed to reciprocate the attraction Asami felt for her. Somehow her father caught wind of the situation and confronted her about it. “It would break your mother’s heart if she knew you were that way.”

“That way…” Putting her feelings in such a manner and the mention of Asami’s mother was all she needed to motivate her to change her behavior. So over the years she worked very hard to ‘fix’ herself, and then a certain firebender crashed into her life. Asami couldn’t believe the overwhelming approval she got from her father when she introduced him as her boyfriend. All that work had paid off and knowing it pleased her father made it easy to date Mako. Of course it turned out to be a lie, her father didn’t care about her dating life, and he was just using her. It also turned out Mako didn’t love her, he loved Korra. It was hard to know how she felt after that experience.

And if she pursued him now, it would be a lot like the second time they were together, for the convenience. Out on her ship that night a few years ago Mako was hurting about Korra, she was hurting about being manipulated again. It had been so long since she’d had any physical contact, she figured why not? She knew Mako was safe; he wouldn’t push her into anything. Even now, she could just seek out to be held in his arms and not worry about him pushing her for more. Then tomorrow they could both pretend like it never happened.

She snuck a peek at the Mako. He was spacing out looking at the bottles behind the bar.

“Yeah, like Korra will be back at ’some point'…” His words echoed in her mind.

Asami shook her head. “Enough!” she mentally screamed. She couldn’t believe she was even considering playing that stupid game again with Mako. She was sick of living in the past. She was sick of not living at all. She needed to move forward with her life, because there was every chance Korra would not return.

‘I’m sorry Korra… Maybe you were right, maybe you are broken, but I can’t help you if you won’t let me in. And I can’t keep waiting around for you to do that…’ Asami thought with a heavy heart.

Asami grabbed her new drink and quickly chugged it down, slamming the empty glass down. She then turned to a surprised Mako. “I’ll see you tomorrow at Bolin’s send-off?”

“Yeah,” he said hesitantly.

Asami pulled out a few bills and left them next to her empty glasses. “See you then. Good night Mako.”

“Bye…” Mako murmured as he watched her go, still trying to process what had just transpired.

***

Over the next year Asami stayed true to her word. She attended dinner at Air Temple Island every Sunday. Her time over there inspired her to create the wingsuits for the Air Nation. She donated them as a way to say thank you for taking her into their family. The city was rebuilt and she began her next project of working on the rail system. During that time Asami started seeing a woman. She finally reached a comfort level with whom she was that she had planned to bring the woman to the next Sunday dinner at Air Temple Island to introduce her to the family. Asami was about to make the call to set up the plans when a letter from a certain someone arrived.

Her secretary Kali casually placed the mail on Asami’s desk, unaware of what she was holding in that stack of letters. Asami looked over at the pile and right on top was an envelope with a return address from the Southern Water Tribe Palace. Asami never stopped writing to Korra, after a year of writing to her almost once a week it was a hard habit to break. She also didn’t want her friend to think she had been forgotten. So Asami used her letters like a journal and wrote to Korra about the events in her life, well most of the events. And just like the first year of letter writing, not a single word back from the Avatar, until now.

Asami wasn’t sure if she should be elated or furious. Asami settled on furious as she knocked the stack of letters off her desk.

“Why now Korra? After two fucking years, why bother to write back now?” Asami shouted at the scattered pile.

Her office door opened again and Kali poked her head through the door. “Miss Sato, is everything okay?”

Asami bowed her head, ashamed of her outburst. “Yes, sorry for the noise.”

“I saw the letter… I know it must be hard for you.” As her secretary spoke Asami looked up in disbelief. “How did she…” Asami wondered.

“Maybe it’s time you read what he had to say, he still is your father.”

Asami almost fell out of her chair, her father of course. Her secretary had seen all his letters over the years, there must be one from him somewhere on the floor. It was a true cosmic joke, the one person she wanted to write to her never would, and the other she never wanted to hear from again wouldn’t stop.

Kali continued. “You know… It might give you some closure if you at least heard the man out. Maybe he’d stop writing if you visited…”

Asami got out of her seat and walked over to her. “I think you’re right. Could you please clear my schedule for the day, I need to take some personal time.”

The girl nodded and looked towards the mess on the floor.

“I’ll take care of my own mess, Kali.”

Her secretary bowed and left the room. Asami let out a sigh. She was embarrassed by her reaction, but at least Kali thought it was over her father. There was some truth to her words. Maybe Asami should go see him if it was only to get him to stop writing. Not today though, she was going straight home where she could read Korra’s letter in private.

Asami read the letter over and over, each time feeling guiltier for giving up on Korra. It was clear that her friend had been suffering a long time, but had not forgotten her, the Avatar still even considered her a confidante. This past year forgetting Korra was all she wanted to do. She felt sick and put herself to bed early.

That night Asami felt the wind whip through her hair as the sand glider tore through the desert towards the setting sun…

To be continued...

Chapter 5: Alone Together

Summary:

Back to the present and time to move forward!

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Jinora’s spirit landed in a vast field of flowers. Her rodent-like spirit companion chirped at her side. “Okay little friend, help me find the Avatar.”

It squeaked and trilled at Jinora. “What do you mean you already have, I don’t see her or sense her?” Suddenly Jinora was being lifted off the ground. She lost her balance and fell back on a soft pillow-like surface. She looked around as it shot her up into the air.

“A flower?”

Around her, more and more flowers sprang up from the ground getting bigger and taller.

“There’s so much energy in this field. You were right, it must be Korra.”

Once her flower had finished growing, Jinora felt it was safe enough to stand again. She used her new height to scan the field for any signs of Korra or Asami. “I still can’t see either of them.”

The spirit out a high-pitch sigh and started flying away from Jinora. “Hey! Oh, now you’ll show me where they are?”

Jinora ran after the little spirit, hopping from flower to flower. For several yards, Jinora dashed over the flowers until the spirit came to an abrupt halt. Catching her off-guard, Jinora almost fell between flowers. She clung tightly to the flower she barely managed to land on. It swayed back and forth from the inertia. When Jinora’s heart stopped beating so loudly in her ear, she heard two familiar voices.

“So where do you think we should go next?”

Jinora scooted until she could see Korra and Asami sitting on a grassy knoll beneath the towering flowers.

“Well this map that spirit gave us has been in no way accurate. I think at this point we might as well just pick a direction and see where it takes us,” Asami said, turning the map over trying to determine which side was up.

“The Spirit World is kind of like that, nothing is predictable,” Korra said with a shrug.

“It’s a nice place to visit, but I could never live here.”

“I’m sorry if you’re not having a good time…”

Asami reached over and put a hand on Korra’s thigh. “Oh Korra, I am. Being here with you is what matters. We really could have gone anywhere and I would be happy. I just need to turn off the engineer-mode switch in my brain.”

Korra’s face turned red and she looked down to avoid Asami’s intense gaze. The flower Jinora was spying from started to rise.

Jinora clung tightly as the flower went higher towards the sky. After a few feet, it stopped. The Airbender was about ready to announce her presence and get off the unpredictable flower when she saw Korra put a shaky hand over Asami’s on her knee.

The rodent-spirit companion trilled excitedly and began to fly down to the girls. Jinora was able to grab its tail just in time.

“Wait, I think we might be interrupting something,” she said scolding the spirit. It let out a little whine as its ears drooped.

“Asami, I have something I want to tell you.”

Asami tilted her head to meet Korra’s eyes. “Yes Korra?” she said, squeezing Korra’s knee for support.

“Well you see, I uh… like you, in more than a friend way. I know it’s really weird because we’re both girls. I don’t know if it’s maybe because of my past lives since I’ve been a man before and my lines are crossed. But I-” Korra looked up and saw Asami starting to giggle, causing the Avatar to stop her rambling.

“Oh no, it’s so ridiculous you’re laughing! Oh monkey feathers, I knew it was crazy!” Korra said, pulling her hand away from Asami’s to cover her face. The engineer tried to grab Korra’s hand back but it was too fast.

Asami adjusted her position so she was sitting face to face with Korra. She placed a hand on each of the Avatar’s knees. “Oh Korra, no it’s not ridiculous! It’s actually one of the more human things about you.”

Korra moved her hands down enough so she could look at her companion. “Huh?”

“I like you too.”

“You like me too?” Korra asked, grasping Asami’s hands with her own. “I was so worried, but you feel that way too?”

Asami giggled. “Oh Korra, I have for a long time.” Asami raised their joined hands and kissed the back of Korra’s.

The Avatar’s face went red and flowers started shooting higher out of the ground. This time the growth caught the two girls’ attention.

“Have you noticed the plants have been acting strangely? Are you what’s making these flowers grow so rapidly?”

Korra looked up at the towering flowers. “If they are reacting to me, then technically you’re the cause. The Spirit World is really sensitive to changes in emotions, especially mine…”

Asami started to lean in closer, placing a hand on Korra’s cheek. “Really, then I wonder what would happen if I did this?”

Korra’s eyes widened and then shut as she saw Asami’s face grow near. Asami followed suit and closed her eyes. Their lips met for the briefest of seconds when Jinora came toppling down onto them.

The three girls groaned as they tried to separate the tangle of limbs.

“Jinora!” Korra shouted once she got a chance to lift her face from the grass.

The Jinora scooted away from the two, backing up against a giant flower stalk. “I am so sorry! The flowers went crazy and I was just coming around here to check on you and-”

“How long have you been here?” Korra asked as she pulled herself from the ground.

Jinora also rose from her spot, brushing the grass from her wingsuit. “I was going to announce myself but then it seemed like you two were having a moment so I was just going to go home and tell Dad you were fine. But then I was shot into the air by this flower and I’m really sorry…” She finished with a slight bow.

Korra grabbed her head in frustration and took a few dramatic steps away from Jinora. “Uuugh I told Kya to tell Tenzin to not come looking for us!”

“Well my Aunt Kya was drunk, and my father isn’t very patient! Besides, everyone found it a bit curious you two felt it was necessary to leave for the Spirit World in the middle of a wedding party with little explanation.”

“Korra, it’s okay. We did leave pretty abruptly. Everyone is just a little worried, right?” Asami said, putting a hand on her shoulder.

The Avatar crossed her arms and pouted.

“Now you can go back now and tell everyone we’re fine. We’ll come home in a couple of days.”

Jinora nodded. “Got it, we’ll see you in a couple of days.”

“Bye Jinora,” Korra said, waving for emphasis, but the younger girl didn’t move.

“It’s just everyone really wants to know why you left. They know you’re okay out here.”

Korra turned her back to Jinora, crossing her arms again. “Well, it’s none of their business.”

“I can’t go back and tell them I saw you but I didn’t ask why you left!” Jinora pleaded. Korra scowled at her, unmoved.

“I came to spend time alone with Korra and tell her how I felt about her. You can tell them that.” Asami said, stepping forward.

Korra’s mouth dropped. “You want to tell them, just like that?”

Asami’s only answer was a shrug. Korra furrowed her brow. “Also, if you came to tell me how you felt, why’d you wait for me to do it?”

Jinora looked back and forth between the two as they spoke.

“Well,” Asami said, flipping her hair. “I was going to bring it up, but then you kept on bumbling and stumbling every time I got remotely close to you.”

Jinora giggled. “Aww, Korra you’re bashful!”

The Avatar directed her death glare back to Jinora.

Asami smiled at the young airbender and winked. “I thought it was cute and wanted to torture you for a couple of days. See if you’d end up saying anything.  And it worked.”

“You tease!” Korra said, dumbfounded.

“I know. So, why did you come on this little vacation with me?” Asami asked, batting her eyes.

Korra looked between the two other girls and then to the ground.

“When you mentioned needing a vacation I thought... after always being there for me… writing to me… and all that you’ve been through. I wanted to do something for you... And let you know I’m here for you too, if you ever need to talk or anything.”

Korra looked up to meet Asami’s glistening eyes.

Jinora started to get the feeling she should make herself scarce.

“Alright, Korra and Asami I think it I’ll let you get back to your vacation. I’ll figure out what to tell everyone and you two tell them the whole story when you get back.”

Asami and Korra jumped, having forgotten the teen was their audience. They waved her goodbye. Once Jinora was out of sight Korra buried her face in her hands.

“Ugh how embarrassing, this must be what having younger siblings is like.”

Asami pulled Korra’s hands away from her face and back into her own. “Of all the people to catch us, I think we got lucky it was only Jinora.”

“You’re right. Tenzin himself could have come after us.”

“So…” Asami started, rubbing her thumb over Korra’s knuckles.

The Avatar smiled as she leaned forward and pressed her lips against Asami’s. The kiss took their minds off the earlier discomfort. When they separated they both let out a relieved sigh.

“I’ve wanted to do that for so long,” Asami confessed, leaning in to steal a quick kiss.

“My love I’ve waited so long…” echoed in Korra’s mind and her face went red. It was Asami’s voice, soft and husky in her ears. But she couldn’t place the time, the place when she heard that.

Asami cocked her head at the blushing Korra and smiled. “C’mon, let’s pick a direction and see where it takes us.”

***

It was the first day of Baatar Jr.’s trial. Only he and Kuvira were left. The United Republic and Prince Wu’s council had decided to try Kuvira’s army in ascending order of rank. All soldiers were given a minimum sentence of five years. Higher ranking supporters and officials were tried individually.

Suyin put on a brave face to mask the dread she felt. She and Baatar Sr. were the first to the courthouse and took the bench directly behind where Baatar Jr. would sit. They waited in silence for everyone else to arrive. Their children had gone out for breakfast this morning. Suyin opted out, too nervous to eat. Baatar Sr. stayed with her, claiming he didn’t want her to be alone, but she knew he was just as nervous about their son.

The matriarch accepted that Jr. serving time was unavoidable. He was a willing participant and the creative genius behind Kuvira’s weapon of mass destruction. Had Korra not exploited Jr.’s weakness and Kuvira’s unflinching dedication to her cause, they may have been in a very different situation today.

Suyin clung to the hope that his last-minute help in stopping Kuvira would count for something to the jury. She was unsure if his life was on the line like Kuvira’s was.

All jury members were shipped in from the Fire Nation and the two Water Tribes. It was obvious that there would be no unbiased jurors from the Earth Kingdom or the United Republic.

Soon a crowd of familiar faces entered the courtroom. The rest of their children and Bolin headed towards them, followed by Tenzin, Jinora, and many adult members of the Air Nation. Lin, Mako, and Prince Wu pulled up the rear.

Opal sat next to Suyin and gave her mother’s hand a squeeze. Bolin gave her an awkward smile, clearly unsure of the best way to greet her in this situation. The matriarch nodded at the young man and he relaxed into his seat, taking Opal's free hand.

It wasn’t long before the courtroom seating for the public was filled. The jury started entering the room from the front, escorted by Republic City police officers. This meant the trial would begin shortly. Suyin turned around to scan the audience for the one face she hadn’t seen yet, but the Avatar was nowhere in sight.

Suyin furrowed her brow. She considered the young woman a friend and expected her here today, if not to support the family, then at least as a public figure. Suyin leaned over to her daughter.

“Where is Korra?”

“Jinora said they’ll probably be back tomorrow,” Opal said as she watched the jury member’s faces.

“What? Where did she go?”

Opal turned to her mother, her face flushed slightly. “Oh, I forgot to tell you. Korra and Asami went to the Spirit World a few weeks ago.”

“Whatever for?” Suyin pressed.

“A vacation.”

“A vacation?” the matriarch repeated. “Just the two of them? Are they...?”

Opal put her hands up defensively. “I don’t know.”

“Okay,” Suyin said, turning back to face the front of the room.

It wasn’t long before Baatar Jr. was walked into the courtroom. The first time Suyin had seen him since the battle for Republic City had ended. With a police officer at each side, he shuffled into the courtroom with his head hanging low. It was clear that in just the few weeks in jail her once strapping son had grown weaker.

Baatar Jr. dared one look behind him as he was being seated. Suyin’s and his eyes met for the briefest of moments before the officer on his left pulled at his arm to get him to face forward again. Suyin’s heart broke all over again. She felt her husband take her left hand, and Opal squeeze her right. With her family at her side, she would survive this trial.

***

Korra let out a long content sigh as she leaned back into the cushy grass. They had finished cleaning up from dinner and were now enjoying the view of the Spirit World night sky.

There were more ‘stars’ than in the sky back in the south. They also moved at a rate that the eye could see. The twinkling lights flowed across the blackness like a lazy river. It was mesmerizing.

Asami sat next to Korra and then eased her head down into the grass as well. The two lay side by side in comfortable silence. The Spirit World hummed with the night songs of the spirits.

Korra had never felt such peace. She had truly left all her worries back at the portal and was allowing herself to enjoy her time away. Especially now that she knew Asami felt the same. The Avatar turned her head to look at her companion. ‘She feels it too.’

Asami noticed Korra’s movements and rolled over on her side to face her too. Asami reached out to take a hold of the Avatar’s arm and snaked her own arm around it. She then scooted closer so she could rest her head on Korra’s shoulder. Something that Korra imagined would be awkward to do if they weren’t lying down, given their height difference.

Korra grinned as she looked back up at the sky, liking the feel of having Asami on her arm. She imagined strolling downtown, once it was rebuilt, arm in arm. Getting a snack from a street vendor and then feeding most of it to the turtle ducks in the park. The Avatar figured that must be what a typical date in Republic City was like.

“Asami…”

“Yes Korra?” she replied, with a squeeze of her arm.

“Are we a couple now?”

“I’d like to be,” Asami said, lightly brushing her fingers over Korra’s arm.

“Me too, I was just thinking about a date we could have once the city is rebuilt.”

Asami perked her head up. “You’re not going to take me on a date until the city is rebuilt?”

“That’s not what I meant!” Korra said in a panic.

“Korra I’m teasing you. What’s this date idea you have?”

“You’re just going to have to wait until you rebuild the city now. Better get on it as soon as we get home,” Korra said, pretending to roll away from Asami. The engineer squeezed her arm tighter to hold her in place.

“Jerk, I’ll just have to take you on a date first.”

Korra moved back toward her girlfriend. “You can’t go first! I can’t afford to compete with your kind of dates.”

"Then you better take me out first.”

"Does this count? I mean this whole vacation is kind of like our first date, right?”

Asami leaned in closer and kissed Korra softy on the cheek, followed by a few quick pecks. The Avatar’s heart started thumping. Asami sighed and nestled her head into Korra’s neck.

“I’ll take that as a yes,” Korra murmured as she watched the tree nearby twist its branches out towards the sky. As the tree grew, small buds formed at the tips and then opened into flowers.

“What did you mean when you said this is one of the more human things about me?” Korra pointed to them with her free hand.

Asami thought a moment before answering. “I don’t know too much about spirits, but I’m guessing they don’t experience sexuality.”

“Sexuality?” Korra asked, turning her head to look at her companion again. Asami adjusted herself to meet her gaze.

“Attraction and orientation.”

“Like being attracted to someone that you find… attractive?” Korra asked with a lopsided grin.

Asami giggled. “That’s one way of putting it. The different kinds of attractions people have. There are people who like the same sex, opposite sex or both sexes.”

“Is this common knowledge?”

“For the most part.”

“Then why isn’t it ever talked about? All this time I thought how I felt was really unusual. I liked boys, but there was a big part of me that wanted to be with girls. But I never saw two girls together, so I kept it to myself. Eventually I came to the conclusion it must be an Avatar thing. Sadly that was after I lost my connection to my past lives.”

“I wonder what they would have told you, maybe all Avatars are bisexual.”

“Bisexual?”

“What you are, a person who likes men and women, ‘Bi’ meaning two or both.”

“Oh, so is that what you are too?”

“Probably, though recently I’ve come to the conclusion that mostly I prefer women. People who like only the same sex are called homosexual. Homo means the same. Then there are heterosexuals, people who like the opposite sex.”

“Ugh, I feel so clueless sometimes. I was practically raised in a bubble,” Korra groaned, hitting her fist on the ground.

“I didn’t learn all of that overnight. Even after I did it took me a long time to come to terms with how I felt about women, about you. Besides, like you said no one talks about it, and there is a reason for that.”

Asami untangled herself from her companion and sat up. “Korra, many people don’t think it’s okay to be this way. That’s why most people who do, keep it secret.”

Korra sat up from the grass. “What?”

The Avatar started to panic “I don’t understand. I didn’t want Jinora to tell everyone before we got home, but I don’t want to keep you, this, a secret.”

“Neither do I Korra. I’m sorry I upset you, I just wanted to warn you that when we go home and tell people we’re together it’s not going to be all positive reactions.”

“Even amongst Team Avatar?”

“Well, Mako might feel a little weird about this, but I think our other friends will be fine.”

Korra smacked herself on the head with her palm. “I didn’t even think about Mako! We both dated him and now we’re dating each other!”

“It might hurt his delicate ego for a bit, but he’ll bounce back,” Asami said, flipping her hair.

“Wait, you dated Mako, but you only like girls?”

“I was still figuring myself out. I cared for him and still do, just not like this,” she said, pulling Korra by the collar towards her for a kiss.

Asami let go of the Avatar’s clothes and put both hands on her cheeks. “This feels right in a way I can’t even describe.”

“Asami… I…”

Asami pressed her lips to Korra’s again before she could finish.

“Uh Korra, Asami, I am so sorry but…”

The entangled girls’ eyes shot open at the familiar voice. They both let out an annoyed groan as they broke apart. Asami nuzzled her head into the crook of Korra’s neck and let out a sigh.

“Jinora!” Korra whined, turning to face her.

“And Ikki too!”

The three older girls all perked up and looked behind Jinora.

Ikki bounced towards them. “I finally figured out how to meditate into the Spirit World! Isn’t that awesome?”

Korra and Asami separated themselves and walked over to the girls.

Ikki playfully walked around the couple, inspecting them closely. “So… were you two kissing? Cos that’s what it looked like when I was walking over here. Jinora refused to say if you two were on a date but from the looks of it, I’d say you are.”

“Ikki!” Jinora scolded. “Now is not the time for this!”

“We told you we’d be back in a couple of days this morning; could this really not wait until then?” Korra asked.

Confusion washed over Jinora’s face as she looked between the two older girls.

“This morning? I was here three days ago.”

Korra and Asami looked at each other for a second and back to Jinora.

“How long have we been gone?” Asami questioned.

“Almost three weeks now.”

The engineer put her hand on her chin. “The Spirit World time must be slower, I’ve been counting the days and it’s only been eight since we arrived.”

Jinora grabbed her sister, who was still circling Korra and Asami. “Then we need to hurry back right away, it could already be the next morning!”

“You at least need to tell us what’s going on,” the Avatar said, stepping forward.

“Baatar Jr.’s trial has started. The city is going for the death sentence. Dad told me to come get you two because you’re the most credible witnesses to his assistance against Kuvira,” Jinora explained.

Korra let out a long sigh and looked over at Asami. “We need to go back.”

“I know,” Asami said, offering a smile.

The Avatar closed her eyes and the world around them began to blur. Valleys and forests shifted and skewed until the four girls were in front of the spirit portal to Republic City.

“How come you never did that before?” Asami asked, nudging Korra playfully.

“It only works if you know where you want to go.”

“I was beginning to wonder why you never worried about us getting lost.”

Jinora cleared her throat. “I’m really sorry to rush you two, but…”

Asami nodded and addressed the two younger girls. “Can you go on ahead and tell everyone we’ll meet at Air Temple Island?”

Jinora nodded and Ikki cracked a big smile as they allowed their spirits to fade out of that world.

For a moment the two remaining girls just stared at each other, letting the news that their vacation was over sink in.

“Asami I’m… I,” Korra started but was stopped by Asami’s finger on her lips.

“It seems like the world doesn’t want you to rest just yet. Maybe it never will. Since you came back to Republic City I selfishly wanted a few moments where it was just you and me, despite all that was going on. Then you asked me away to the Spirit World and when we entered the portal I wished time would stop. It sounds like in some ways it did. Being away from everything with just you was all I hoped it could be, thank you Korra.” Asami finished by pressing her lips to Korra’s.

When the kiss ended Korra pulled Asami into a fierce hug. “You talk like what we discovered here is over, but Asami it has just started. You’re my girlfriend now, remember? That means sometimes the world will have to wait.”

Korra couldn’t make out her response, since it was muffled in her shoulder, but she felt her girlfriend nodding so she knew it was okay.

They held each other for a few more moments until Asami pulled herself away. She wiped her eyes of any stray tears. “I’m sorry; these past days have felt like a dream, I’ve been afraid that when I walk through that portal I’m going to wake up.”

Korra reached out her hand to take Asami’s and gave it a squeeze. “Come on, reality awaits us, but we’re facing it together.”

Asami squeezed back, reassured by the Avatar’s lopsided grin. “You’re right.”

The two stepped into the portal and everything went white.

To be continued...

Notes:

Any Grammar/Spelling related corrections, comments or concerns are welcome! I will not be offended!

Chapter 6: Back To Reality

Summary:

Korra and Asami return to the physical world.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

It wasn't too much later than Jinora had anticipated when she re-entered her body in the gazebo on Air Temple Island. It appeared that the sun had only just recently set, making it around seven. Sitting across from her was Ikki. The sisters made eye contact, and Ikki cracked a big grin.

"Aren't you proud of me?" She pushed.

Jinora sighed. "Yes Ikki, but you shouldn't have snuck along like that. Tell me next time that you're coming."

The older sister got up from her seat and started heading back to the temple. Ikki got up too and trailed behind.

"I'm sorry, I wanted to surprise you!"

"This is a very serious matter we are dealing with. Now is not the time for showing off." Jinora shot back.

Ikki stopped following her sister and watched her enter the house. Once Jinora was out of sight Ikki stuck her tongue out in her direction. The young Airbender walked back over to the gazebo. She blew a gust of air so she could sit on the roof of the structure.

"No matter what I do, I seem to always do the wrong thing.” Ikki sighed as she lay down on the roof. "I try to do things my own way and Jinora criticizes me. So I do things her way and that's no good either!"

Ikki rolled to her side, tucking her arms and legs close. "Meelo thinks I'm a ditz and Rohan's a toddler. I wish there was someone... someone who got me..." Ikki whispered to herself. Her eyes started to droop and it wasn't long before she drifted off into a light sleep.

Ikki awoke to soft voices. She rolled over to the edge of the gazebo to see Korra and Asami standing outside the temple door.

"I'm getting kinda nervous," Korra said scratching the back of her head.

"We can wait to tell people tomorrow if you want."

"No, I'm ready," The Avatar said clenching her hands and straightening herself up.

Asami giggled and turned her body to Korra's. Between the vacation and the boat ride, Korra's hair had become a mess.

"Just a second," Asami said as she started fussing with Korra’s hair, tucking several wild strands behind her ears.

"Is it that bad?" Korra whined as her hair was patted down.

Asami moved to fix her girlfriend’s collar. "I just want you to look somewhat presentable when we make our grand entrance."

"How do you always look so good?"

"I have my secrets. There we go, much better. Now we can go inside." Asami said taking Korra's cheek and giving it a quick rub with her thumb.

Ikki watched from her perch, silently mesmerized by the interaction between the older girls. Her stomach leapt when she saw Asami lean in and softly kiss Korra. Their eyes closed and their bodies pressed together. At that moment they appeared to be completely unaware of the world around them. Never had Ikki seen an interaction between two people that she wanted to emulate more. Her cheek burned with an ache to be touched that way.

The older girls disappeared inside and the spell was broken. Ikki rolled back to her original position on the gazebo and stared up into the night sky. She heard what everyone had been saying about Korra and Asami. Ikki was curious about the idea of the two girls being together like that because it was so different. Now, having seen it up close, it was like a whole new world of possibilities had opened up for her. A want inside her she had been found. Ikki wanted a girlfriend too. Her heart raced at the realization. She couldn't go inside and join her family yet.

***
Opal couldn't stay focused on the conversations happening around her. She was still processing the Earth Kingdom and United Republic’s decision to seek the death penalty for her brother. It was unprecedented. Even Zaheer's life was never in question during his trial. Then again, a major victim was the Air Nation. That nation, her nation was more forgiving. People of the Earth Kingdom were not known for forgiveness. Her people are stubborn as the element itself.

Discovering these two sides of herself has been an interesting experience. Growing up as a non-bender, Opal never felt very connected to her country's namesake element. Personally, she thought her people could stand to loosen up a bit. When air came to her, it was like the puzzle in her life had been solved. She felt immediately connected to the element; its ability to yield and change. Air's experiences mirrored her own with her hardheaded family. It wasn't until she started having to put the Air Nation's social principles into action that she realized she did share some of the deep-rooted traits of her Earth heritage. Forgiveness and letting go are hard for her. She was still struggling with her feelings over her brother and Kuvira. Kuvira was easier to focus on. Kuvira was easier to hate. Kuvira was the reason her brother left their family. Kuvira was the reason he was possibly going to be executed.

Opal's seething was interrupted when Jinora entered the room. All the heads at the table turned to face her.

"Did you find them?" Tenzin asked.

"Yes, they should be here shortly," Jinora said taking a seat next to her mother. Pema patted her daughter’s knee once she was comfortably seated.

Tenzin anxiously stroked his beard. "Good, good."

There was a long moment of awkward silence.

Bolin's eyes moved around the table. It was a small group tonight, just Tenzin's family plus Bumi and Lin. Mako was working for Wu until he returned to the Earth Kingdom and the rest of Opal's family wasn’t feeling very social, for obvious reasons.

After Tenzin sent Jinora back to the Spirit World, the group decided to stick around the Air Temple to wait for the girls to return. The mystery of Korra and Asami's trip was about to be solved, but it was clear that at this point all of ‘Team Avatar’ had come to the same conclusion. Bolin sighed before he addressed the table.

"I think we're all thinking about the same thing, so I'm just going to come out and say it. Clearly, Korra and Asami went on a romantic getaway to the Spirit World. Jinora's continued denial of knowing why they left has solidified the idea within me."

Jinora crossed her arms in a huff and shot Bolin a look. "Don't worry Jinora, it's clear you are under an obligation to not disclose and we will not rat-pig you out." The eartherbender gestured to Jinora as he rose from the table.

"My friends, when did this flower of love begin to bloom? None of us are sure, but it has. Korra and Asami are two of my dearest friends and comrades and I plan on fully supporting whatever may come of this relationship. I hope that you all will also support them, as they navigate the treacherous seas of love in a cruel and unforgiving world. May we set an example of tolerance and understanding for others so they too can treat their love with the respect it deserves. Together we can-"

"What are you talking about?"

Bolin's face flushed when he saw Korra and Asami standing in the doorway. He looked around the room for help but everyone was just as startled and red-faced. Korra and Asami looked around for answers as well.

"Korra, Asami, I was just...uh..." All the gusto Bolin's felt earlier had left him.

"We know," Lin said with a shrug. All eyes turned to the grumpy older woman. "What?" Lin asked the room, feeling everyone's gaze.

Korra opened her mouth to speak but Lin cut her off. "Jinora didn't say anything, we figured it out ourselves.”

“Oh…Well uh…” Korra stammered.

“We're all happy for you two," the Metalbender added.

Everyone turned to Korra and Asami as Lin spoke, each nodding with agreement. Korra looked over at Asami, both of their faces were red now. The Avatar grinned as she took her girlfriends’ hand.

Bolin made his way over to the two girls and pulled them into a big hug. He squeezed so hard they both let out a squeak. Bolin gave them one more squeeze before letting them go. "Oh, you two! I think it's great, but don't sneak off like that again! You had everyone worried or confused, or both."

"Yes Dad," Asami whispered patting Bolin on the shoulder.

Bolin took his seat next to Opal. She grabbed his hand and gave it a squeeze. Asami and Korra sat down next to Bolin.

"Okay now that's settled, can we talk about a real issue? My foolish nephew's life is on the line," Lin grunted.

Tenzin nodded, clearing his throat. "As I'm sure Jinora told you, Bataar Jr.'s trial has begun and the United Republic and the Earth Kingdom are seeking the death penalty for his crimes."

The two girls nodded. "We didn't realize time was moving slower in the Spirit World, by Asami's count we had only been gone eight days. I wanted; we want to be there for the trials," Korra explained looking around the table, making sure to seek out Opal. "I'm sorry we're late."

Opal nodded and gave Korra a small smile. The Avatar smiled back and settled into her seat.

Tenzin continued. "We wouldn’t have felt it necessary for you to come back if it wasn't for the punishment being sought. We need you both to testify in Baatar Jr.' defense tomorrow. We all feel you'll be the most creditable witnesses because neither of you is a Beifong, are dating a Beifong, or dated a Beifong. Asami, you are our best witness because your relationship with the Beifongs has the least obvious ties. The jury is from the Fire Nation and Water Tribes, so we are assuming your involvement with this group isn't common knowledge to them. It would be best if you even came to the courthouse tomorrow separately to further your distance from us."

"Of course, I'm happy to help. When does it start tomorrow?" Asami asked.

"The trial begins at nine each day, we all plan on getting there around eight," Opal jumped in.

"I'll be there at eight forty-five. I should get going then..." Asami said getting up from the table.

Korra mirrored her actions. “But…”

Asami offered a smile. "Walk me out?"

Back outside the temple, Korra stood in front of Asami shuffling her feet. The engineer couldn't help but giggle at her girlfriend’s childish behavior.

"We're showing up separately tomorrow, that doesn't mean you need to go now."

"I don't want to go either, but it would be for the best. I should check up on my company and put myself together. I want to look professional and not like I've been wandering in the Spirit Wilds for weeks." Asami's eyes softened, seeing that her explanation hadn't made Korra feel any better. She pulled the shorter girl into a hug.

"I'll miss you too."

Korra squeezed back hard. "I already miss you! I've gotten really used to having you around."

Asami nuzzled her face into Korra's hair. "I know... me too..." She whispered. Asami started to move away but she was held in place.

"Korra?"

The Avatar tightened her hold. Asami sighed and resumed hugging Korra back.

***
Korra eventually lets Asami leave the island. It startled her how attached she had become over the past week or weeks. She still couldn't believe they were gone that long. Coming back and knowing how much time had passed here made her feel like she had been asleep for days. She had no regrets about it. She just wished they had a little more time to themselves as a new couple. Like Asami said the world may never be ready to wait, but the Avatar was determined to not let it come between them.

Korra looked around her bedroom. It felt odd coming back to it. As if while she was away she had outgrown this place. Maybe it was just because she'd be sleeping alone for the first time in a while. Though they hadn't officially coupled until tonight..? Korra shook her head; she needed to stop trying to make sense of the time. They had slept side by side the whole vacation and Korra was looking forward to finally being able to hold Asami in her arms tonight.

"So much for that idea..." Korra muttered to herself.

"Hey, Korra..."

She turned around to see Jinora at her door. Korra smiled and motioned her to come in.

"I swear I didn't tell them about you two," the young Airbender started as she walked towards the older girl. Korra met her halfway and put a hand on her shoulder.

"It's okay, I believe you. Here." The Avatar let them to her bed and they both sat down on opposite ends.

"They already suspected before I even went to find you the first time. Not in a bad way, just something seemed odd about you guys going alone."

Korra chuckled and pulled her legs up under her chin. "I guess it was. I mean, they were right in the end."

Jinora fidgeted with the blanket nearby. "What I really wanted to say is that I'm sorry for interrupting you guys, twice."

"It will be ok once Asami and I interrupt you and Kai a few times."

The young airbender’s eyes widened. "But we get so little time together!"

Korra smirked and shrugged her shoulders. "Then you'll know how we feel."

"Not fair! You two are older and you could live together if you wanted. I'm going to be stuck in a dormitory till I'm married." Jinora said with a huff.

"You really don't think Tenzin will let you two share a space until you got married?" Korra paused and looked at Jinora's raised eyebrow. "I'm sorry kiddo."

Both girls relaxed into their spots on Korra's bed. They shared a few moments of comfortable silence till Korra spoke again.

"You and Kai haven’t ever... You know..." Korra said trying to sound casual. Jinora sat up straight in her seat, face red.

"No.”

The Avatar felt her own face getting a little red. “Have you thought about it?"

Jinora looked down on the bed. "I'm not sure if I'm ready for all of that yet. Have you ever done it?"

Korra fully flushed. "No, I haven't."

"Do you want to with Asami?" Jinora pressed, keeping her eyes on the bed.

"I think so, but I don't know if I'm ready for that either."

Jinora looked up at Korra. They both smiled and let out a sigh.

"It's nice knowing someone feels the same way," Jinora said softly.

Korra chuckled. "It is. I've kept a lot in the past three years, but I'm starting to get the notion that if you share your feelings, you'll find out someone else knows what it's like. I…”

The Avatar fell silent as she looked down at her feet.

"Are you thinking about Asami?" Jinora asked.

"No, Kuvira... I was able to talk her down that day because I was able to empathize with her. I haven't told anyone about this, but when the Spirit Portal opened and we were both inside it, I had a strange vision. I first saw myself and then I saw her as my reflection. Like the Spirit World was hitting me over the head to point out how alike we are...Saving her that day felt like the final act in healing myself.”

Korra paused for a moment. “But now…now I don't know what I should do with her. Was my judgment clouded because I see myself in her? Would protecting her further just be for my own interests, instead of what’s best for the people? Maybe the Spirit World was sending me a message saying this is what could happen if I get out of balance. I was in a really dark place for a long time. I wonder... had I not had the support I did, could Kuvira’s fate have been my own?"

"I don't think so. You've never had one cause to be hyper-focused on like that."

"I have. My recovery, that’s all I thought about for years. It almost became all-consuming."

"Almost is the keyword and it was a personal goal. It was not about other peoples or nations. It's different than what Kuvira was trying to achieve."

Jinora said adjusting her position on the bed to better face Korra.

"But it was motivated by the same desire, control."

"You can't worry about what could have happened to you, because you have a huge family that loves you. We'll always be here when you need us. Don't be afraid to let us in on what's going on with you."

Korra chuckled.

"I get it, going off to the Spirit World like that was not a good idea considering my recent track record. I'll never sneak off again, I promise!" Korra said raising her arms in the air and shaking her fists at the ceiling.

Jinora giggled at the Avatar’s antics. "At least the one who missed you the most was with you this time."

"Did you know Asami...felt this way about me?"

Jinora shrugged. "No. It wasn't anything I really heard of until you two left. I could just tell she really missed you."

Korra rested her chin back on her knees. "I'm going to make up all that lost time."

"I wouldn't worry too much about that. Do you think things have worked out the same way had you been here? I don't believe is predestination, but I think there is a balance to all that life throws at you. I really began to believe it when you left open the Spirit Portal and brought my people back from near extinction. It brought balance back to the four elements. I think it also brought a balance into the lives of those that were given air bending. Kai was an orphan but got a second chance and a family through air bending. Uncle Bumi was the only non-benders in his family, and now he feels more connected to them.”

Korra nodded as she listened.

“Then you lost your powers for a long time, but it gave you an understanding of being powerless. Asami has lost all of her family, but it has taught her that family is who you choose to have in your life. She was always part of the group but seemed to hold us at arm’s length. I was happy when she finally accepted us into her life about a year ago. Then there’s me, I never got to know my grandfather, but his reincarnation has become like a big sister."

Korra blinked back a few tears before grabbing the smaller girl into a tight hug.

"I feel the same way, though sometimes it feels like you're the older sister since you can be so wise."

"We can take turns."

The two girls separated. Not long after, Tenzin stepped into the doorway.

"There you are Jinora."

"Sorry, I just wanted to catch up with Korra."

"Don't stay up too much later girls; we have an early start tomorrow. I need you both dressed and ready at sunrise. Korra, I want you to think about what you’re going to say tomorrow. We can discuss it over breakfast."

"Yes Dad."

"Yes Dad." The Avatar said with a grin.

Tenzin furrowed his brow slightly and turned to leave. "Goodnight girls."

Korra and Jinora giggled.

"I should go, night!" Jinora said as she got off the bed.

Korra waved her off. "Good night."

Once Jinora was gone, Korra flopped down on her back. "Right, I need to think about Baatar Jr. tonight..."

After Korra figured out the key to Baatar's motivation, she had pretty much dismissed him as a threat. Therefore she had thought very little about him since. He was just a fool in love, and not the evil mastermind Kuvira presented him as. Korra felt a pull at her heart. She still couldn't believe Kuvira was willing to sacrifice him to stop her. The shock had physically weakened the man. Clearly, that move was not something he ever anticipated his Fiancé being capable of either. And here he was now, standing trial for the crimes he committed for the woman he loved but did she even love him? Was he standing by what he did, or was he repentant?

Whatever the case, he didn't deserve death, but what kind of punishment did she feel fit? They were probably going to ask her since she was opposing the current one. What did he really deserve? What did the family of his victims deserve? What did his family...

Korra rolled over to her other side. She imagined herself suggesting a punishment with all of her family and friends in the audience looking back at her. Suyin and Opal's faces stood out from the crowd. Suyin was like an aunt to Korra now, and Opal a cousin, maybe even sister. Tenzin was right; Asami is the best witness because she's not as close to the family and...


The Avatar sat up and smacked her head. how could she forget about Asami's father? Asami was very much a victim of Baatar Jr.'s involvement too. What does she think he deserves? Obviously not death, since she agreed to help.

Korra really wished they had talked things through together. Then she could understand how she could do right by the victims. Maybe that would just cloud her judgment more... No, she couldn't think about this as a friend of Suyin and her family, as Asami's girlfriend, or even as Korra. She needed to think of this as the Avatar, only there would she find the balance of justice.

Korra knew sleep was not going to happen now, so she left her room to go to the gazebo. She needed to meditate and speak with the only other being that understood the Avatar's plight, Raava.

To be continued...

 

Notes:

Any grammar/spelling corrections are welcome and appreciated!

Chapter 7: The Witness Stand

Summary:

Korra and Asami have their day in court.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Bolin and Opal slowly walked through the quiet streets of Republic City. Opal was not eager to get to Bolin and Mako's apartment only to wait around for the morning, so she suggested they walk the long way home.

The city's damage didn't really have a lot of rhyme or reason to it. Lots of long straight shots of destruction from the spirit cannon or pushed in buildings. Fortunately, everyone had evacuated to the outer borders of the city and most remained there for now.

They reached Avatar Korra Park, which was mostly unharmed. Spirits had taken it over since there was currently no human competition. Many of the creatures gave off a light glow, lighting up their way. The pair stopped in front of Korra's statue. She stood eighteen feet, completely unscathed.

"Do you think she knows about this yet?" Opal asked as she readjusted her hold on Bolin's arm.

Bolin looked up at the Avatar’s stern face. "The real question is does she know who paid for it?"

The couple had a laugh and moved away from the statue and continued on the concrete path. They fell silent once they started walking.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm...trying not to think about it."

"I'm sorry Opal...I-"

"No it's alright, you're just concerned." Opal separated herself from Bolin and took a few steps away. "I hate knowing there is nothing I can do, but what's worse is that I don't know how to feel."

"What do you mean?"

"My brother... I don't know what kind of outcome I want for him."

Bolin's eyes widened.

"I don't what him executed Bolin!"

"Sorry, you didn't specify." He said with his hands up defensively.

"I know. I'm sorry...l... I want him to come home soon, for Mom and Dad's sake. But I am so mad at him and I think he deserves to be put away for a long time."

Opal wrapped her arms around herself as she spoke. “What he did, he did willingly. I can't even comprehend that fact. I know it's Kuvira who will be remembered through the ages, but my brother was that tyrant's bedmate, literally."

Bolin stayed a few steps back as he watched his girlfriend rage. He had never seen her so angry, even after Kuvira and her brother first left.

"How? How could he do what he did to hundreds of people? How could he do that to his own family? This trial is aging my parents. I know it has devastated my mother emotionally. How can people trust her as a leader when she raised a monster?"

Opal realized her company had gone quiet. She turned around to see Bolin slightly hunched up like he was afraid of her. The Airbender shook her head. How long has she been ranting? She shouldn't be doing this.

"Bolin, I need to go. I don't want to be like this in front of you."

"But...Okay..."

She walked up to Bolin and rested her hand on his broad shoulders. "It's nothing you did, I promise."

Opal got on her tiptoes and gave her boyfriend a peck on the cheek. With a huge gust of air she was gone.

Bolin let out a long sigh as he watched her go. When his girlfriend was out of sight he bent a nearby rock across the park. It collided with some rubble and made a loud crash. Satisfied by the noise, Bolin bent a few more rocks. Each time they made contact the noise echoed through the park.

"Human!" A large spikey spirit jumped in front of Bolin. He let out a squeak and jumped back.

The spirit took a few steps towards Bolin until it was eye to eye with him. "Knock it off with the rocks; we're trying to sleep here!"

The earthbender leaned his body away from the grumpy spirit. "I'm sorry Mr. Spirit!"

"I'm female you little jerk!" barked the spirit as it leaned into closer to Bolin.

"Ah! I'm sorry Ma'am!"

"What are you doing slinging rocks around in the middle of the night? If you're trying to attract a mate, they're all trying to sleep like the rest of us!"

"I was just trying to blow off some steam because Opal is upset and I can't help her."

"What's an Opal?"

"My uh-mate?" Bolin said giving her a nervous grin "Her brother is on trial for the attack on Republic City. She's conflicted about how to feel and I don't know how to help her."

The spirit's eyes bulged as Bolin spoke. "Your mate is the sister of the one who attacked? Then you must be one of them too!" The spirit said as it started growing bigger in size.

Bolin cowered at its looming presence. "No, no, no, no, no! I helped; we helped stop him and Kurvira!"

The spirit ignored Bolin and continued to grow. He decided it was time to go and sprinted around the spirit. "Sorry, wish I could chat some more but I really gotta go!"

Bolin pumped his arms and sucked in huge gasps of air to get himself far away from the angry spirit. He dared a look back and saw it had started charging after him. The spirit had doubled in size; its eyes were dilated and wild. He snapped his head back forward to scan a way to lose her. Towards the end of the park, he saw a skyscraper that had been knocked over. The top half was still intact, just on its side. The glass was shattered so he could enter through the frame. Bolin ran towards the building and then slid into one of the windows. Once he cleared the framework he bent a wall up in front of the windows he was near.

The earth wall made it dark inside the building. He couldn't see outside anymore, so he took his shoes off to feel the earth beneath him. His trick had worked, the spirit couldn't find him, but was still circling nearby. Bolin leaned against a support beam and let himself slide down into a seated position.

Bolin didn't know how long he had dozed off, but long enough that the spirit had given up and gone back to bed. He slipped his shoes back on and gently bent the earth wall back down.

About fifteen minutes later he was out front of his apartment. Standing in front of the door and fussing with the lock was Mako.

"Mako!"

The firebender looked up at his name and stopped trying to get in. "Bolin? What are you doing coming home so late?"

"Oh man, I just had a weird run-in with a spirit in Korra's park. It got all pissed at me and chased me into a building. Then I fell asleep." Bolin said walking to the door to stand face to face with his brother. "Hey, what are you doing here so late? Don't you usually stay at Wu's when you're working?"

Mako looked back down at the door and successfully unlocked it. "Yeah...there's just been uh-change of plans." He walked inside and felt around for the lights.


Bolin trailed behind him. "Oh?"

Mako went into his room and pulled out his duffel and threw it on the bed. He then moved to his drawers.

"Moving out?"

Mako jumped, not realizing Bolin followed him into his room. He turned around to face his younger brother.

Bolin put his hands on his hips and raised an eyebrow. "You going to tell me what's up bro or am I going to have to keep on guessing?"

The firebender's shoulders slumped and he let out a sigh. "I'm going to the Earth Kingdom with Wu tomorrow."

"What? Why?"

"He realized that he's been here in Republic City too long and really needs to go back to the Earth Kingdom and help his people."

"Okay, but why are you going?"

"I'm going to go work with him and help rebuild the Earth Kingdom."

Bolin took a big step forward. "But Mako, this is your home. Republic City needs your help too and what about your police job?"

Mako mirrored Bolin and took a step to meet him. "I remember someone going away to help the Earth Kingdom and his brother never questioned that decision."

"Hey...that was different."

"Was it?" Mako asked before turning back to his clothes drawer.

"Mako, what's this really about? Why are you leaving?"

Mako pulled out some clothes and laid them on the bed. He then went back to his drawers for more. Bolin watched his brother as he waited for an answer.

"Obviously something else is influencing your decision to leave." Bolin pushed.

Mako stopped packing and lowered his head. He muttered something but Bolin couldn't hear him.

Bolin put a hand to his ear, "what was that?"

Mako turned around and faced his brother once more. "I said I'm still in love with Korra!"

Bolin flinched at Mako's volume and then it registered what his brother had said. Bolin opened his mouth to respond but found no words.

"Yeah," Mako snapped with a snort and turned back to packing. When he finished with his drawers he moved to his closet.

"Mako...I..."

"There’s nothing to say. It is what it is. I just need time away." Mako huffed as he worked.

Bolin walked over to his brother and placed a hand on his shoulder. Mako stopped his packing at the contact. He wiped his nose with his sleeve.

"It was at the wedding… it just hit me and I realized that I still loved her... even then I could tell she didn't feel the same. I know Korra would date someone else someday, but..." Mako's voice quivered as he spoke. He turned to look at Bolin.

"I didn't think it'd happen so soon!" The tears Mako had been holding back finally broke through. Bolin pulled his brother into a tight hug in response.

Mako rested his head on Bolin's shoulder. "I went to Air Temple Island tonight... I saw them out in front...together.  I never saw that coming. Tonight was supposed to be my last night working for Wu...I drove right back and asked to leave with him."

"It's ok Mako. I get it now." Bolin said with a squeeze. "Just don't go away forever, okay?"

"I won't."

The brothers separated. Mako wiped his face a few times, getting rid of his tears. Bolin's heart tightened at the sight of his older brother. He couldn't remember the last time he saw him this sad.

"You're going to need another duffel, let me see if I have a spare," Bolin said leaving the room. Once he was in his own room he let out a huge sigh as he leaned against the door.

The two people he loved the most were hurting tonight and he felt absolutely useless. Why did this always happen to him?


*****
“Raava...Raava can you hear me?” Korra called out in her mind. She opened her eyes to the dark ocean in front of her. Korra had been trying to reach Raava for over an hour, but she could not get her to answer.

The Avatar heard soft footsteps coming up behind her and she turned to see who it was. Opal gave her a small wave. Korra smiled and waved back.

"Trouble sleeping?" Opal asked as she took a seat next to the Avatar.

Korra leaned back in her seated position. "Yeah, I'm guessing you're awake for similar reasons?"

"Mmm. Would you be up for practicing some stances with me?"

"Love to," Korra said pulling herself up. Opal followed.

The girls took opposite sides of the gazebo. They each got into the basic air stance and began to circle the inside perimeter of the gazebo. Air began to build in between them. Korra changed directions and Opal changed in turn.

Opal collected the air between them and passed it. Korra caught the air and bent it back over. Silently the girls circled each other passing the air back and forth. The ease in which they could do the actions helped calm Opal's nerves and clear her mind. She loved this about the air stances. It felt more to her than the classic form of seated meditation.

Opal let her eyes close and Korra followed. The girls felt their spirits guide their movements. Opal was reminded of the first time she and the Avatar practiced together. Korra was the first person she had ever air bent with, since no one else in Zaofu had gained the ability after Harmonic Convergence. At the time it was special because it was with the Avatar, but more so now because it was a memory with a dear friend.

The air passed into Opal's control once more and she released it back to the wind. The girls opened their eyes; the trance-like state was broken. Opal bowed and Korra bowed back.

"Thank you, I needed that," Korra said stretching her arms up over her head.

The Airbender nodded and walked over to the gazebo's railing facing the sea. She leaned against it facing the Avatar. "Me too, I was in a terrible mood and I was taking it out on Bolin. I hope he's not too mad at me."

"Even if he is, he'll forgive you by morning. Bolin's not one to hold a grudge."

"That's one of the things I admire about him, his ability to let things go. And he's an earthbender!"

Korra moved to stretch out her legs. "You two make a good pair. You both seem to make up for each other’s weaknesses with your different strengths."

Opal smirked. "I would say you and Asami have a similar dynamic."

The Avatar blushed and tried to focus on her stretches. "You don't... think it's weird?"

Opal raised an eyebrow at Korra's bashfulness and then let out a laugh. "You do know I have a gay brother, right? Even if I didn't, of course, I don’t!" Opal looked out to the water. "You are the way you are. People who think you should suppress that are the weird ones."

She looked back at Korra who was still a bit red. "Bolin and I want to go on a double date with you two sometime, our treat."

"Yeah?" Korra asked as she looked over to Opal.

"Mhmm. We realized we never would have met had it not been for you. We want to say thank you and let you know we're happy you found someone too."

Korra's face went red again. "Opal..."

"I'm serious. There is so much hate in the world that we need to celebrate the love that continues to exist despite it."

Opal paused and closed her eyes. She felt a moment of clarity wash over her.

"I want you to know that what you decide tomorrow will not affect our relationship. What my brother did was wrong, and threatened the freedom of so many people. What he did was not an act of love for Kuvira or the Earth Kingdom."

Korra watch Opal closely as she spoke.

"I just don't want your feelings for my family to stop you from doing what is right. And maybe selfishly relieved someone else has to make the unbiased decision for his punishment. Because no matter how hard I try, or how much I know he deserves, I can't stop loving him." A few tears escaped from Opal's eyes and she quickly reached up to wipe them away.

Korra joined her friend on the railing. "I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm relieved to hear that. You think your mother feels the same?"

"It would be pretty hard to lower my mother's opinion of you Korra," Opal whispered sniffing a few times.

Korra looked away unsure how to respond.

"Common, it's probably really late. We need to go to bed."

"Mmm," Korra hummed with a nod.

The girls started back towards the temple.

"So...which brother?"

"Wei."

"Really and Wing isn't?"

"Nope, interesting, huh?" Opal said with a grin. Korra nodded as they entered the building.

*****
Suyin and Baatar Sr. once again were the first to arrive at the courthouse, accompanied by their three other sons. This time they decided to wait outside. Soon a large group of familiar faces started towards them. When Suyin saw the Avatar she moved to greet her.

"Korra, I'm so glad you came back. You don't know what this means to me." The matriarch said pulling the younger girl into a hug.

Korra squeezed back. "I'm glad I can help."

They separated and Suyin inspected the group behind Korra. "Where is Asami?"

"She’s coming on her own. We're trying to establish her distance from the group."

"Good call," Suyin said patting Korra before addressing the group. "Thank you all for taking the time to come today. Let’s all go inside and take our seats."

****

Korra anxiously looked around the courtroom. She didn't know what time it was, but it felt like it had been a long time since they took their seats. The audience was mostly full and the jury had begun filtering in. Maybe Asami got lost. Maybe she should go looking for her. Korra started to tap her foot nervously.

To her relief Asami entered the courtroom like a woman with a purpose. Her outfit and briefcase said she was all business. Trailing behind her was a woman who looked to be about the same age as Asami, in similar formal wear. Jinora tapped Korra on the shoulder and she shot her head back forward.


"Remember, low profile." Jinora whispered.

Korra let out a big sigh. "I know, I know. Sorry..."

Jinora giggled at the frazzled Avatar. "You got it bad."

"Got what?" Korra said slightly alarmed.

"Puppy love."

"What is that?"

"Puppies are clumsy and excited all the time. They follow or watch their mommy everywhere she goes." Jinora said with a big smile.

The Avatar’s eyes narrowed, "touché."

The girls turned back to the stage. Korra crossed her arms and slumped down in her seat. Jinora's description of puppies was way too close to how she behaved around Asami. When did it get so bad?

Korra snorted a little more audibly than she intended. No one seemed to pay her any mind. She knew when, as soon as Asami said she liked her too. All that angst and worry she had been holding onto was gone. That kind of weight off her shoulder had left her feeling pretty euphoric. Maybe because it happened in the Spirit World, it increased the feeling. Perhaps the connection of her mood went both ways there. The Spirit World reacted to her feelings and she in turn was influenced back. Korra sank further into her seat. Or she was just an over-eager polar bear puppy.

Fortunately, the Avatar didn't have to dwell on it any further because it seemed the trial was ready to resume. The prosecution still had a few more points they wanted to go over before the defense and Korra's turn began. It was decided that she and Asami were the only witness they were going to use at this time.

Varrick and Zhu Li had been considered but Varrick's past convictions and Zhu Li's having been a double agent made them a little too hard to be seen as credible, especially if they were cross-examined.

Once the prosecution rested, Baatar Jr.'s defense lawyer rose. He was a slight and balding man. He didn't seem too nervous about the man he was defending. Tenzin informed her this morning his lawyer was appointed by Republic City. He was not given the choice to hire his own. Suyin had to push for Asami and Korra to be brought to court as his witnesses. It happened so fast that there was no time to rehearse. Today was their only opportunity to speak on Baatar Jr.'s behalf.

The lawyer addressed the group behind Baatar Jr.'s. "Will Avatar Korra please come to the witness stand?" It was clear he wasn't a hundred percent sure who she was, because his eyes darted back and forth along with the crowd.

The Avatar quickly rose from her spot and made her way out of the bench. She felt a pat from Jinora as she cleared the aisle. She looked back and the younger girl gave her a thumb up. Korra nodded and then proceeded to her seat on the stand.

Korra's eyes scanned the audience again for Asami. She found her on the opposite side of the court, towards the front. Her head was ducked down and it appeared she was speaking with the woman who accompanied her. Korra felt a strange feeling in her stomach form at the sight.

"Avatar Korra, could you please tell us your version of the events of the day of the attack, specifically your encounter with the defendant."

"Yeah, Tenzin and I-I mean Master Tenzin, his brother Bumi and myself successfully kidnapped Baatar Jr. from his airship. We brought him to a warehouse to interrogate him for information to stop the giant mech. We got him to try to call off Kuvira's attack only after I threatened to keep him away from Kuvria, forever. Kuvira lied and attacked us, knowing Baatar Jr. would die with us."

Korra stole a glance at Baatar Jr. but his head was hung down. She could have sworn she saw him trembling.

"That was when it was clear to me that Baatar Jr. was not on equal standing with Kuvira. He was another piece at her disposal in her game of conquest. An important piece, but still not as important as her."

"For those with us today who don't know the full nature of the defendant’s relationship with Kuvira, could you please explain?"

"Uh yeah, Baatar Jr. and Kuvira met in Zaofu and left together to assist in reestablishing the Earth Kingdom. At some point during that time they got engaged. When their life together was at stake, Baatar Jr. quickly backed down. When I made that threat to Kuvira she quickly planned her next move against me." Korra said shifting in her seat.

"Would you have made good on the threat Avatar Korra?"

The Avatar thought back to that day. Her threats of violence were easily seen through and even his own mother couldn’t talk him down. Desperate for a way to break him, this strange idea came to her. Almost like as whisper from her past life. It was a pretty twisted thing to do to someone and felt confident it would break him. She never took the time to think about what it would have been like for her.

"Yes." Korra felt a tinge of guilt at the omission. "I believe the results would have been the same. Kuvira would have cut her losses and moved on with her takeover and Baatar Jr. would come to realize she was not going rescue him and assist Republic City."

"One final question, as part of the defense you are calling for a lesser sentence than death. What do you suggest and why?"

The Avatar gulped. The moment she had been dreading. She looked around the room to seek out Asami's eyes, but they weren't available.

"Can I ask a question?"

"You may."

"What has been the sentence for other high-ranking officers of Kuvira's army?"

"Ten to fifteen years."

"Then I would suggest a prison sentence of fifteen to twenty years. As one of the highest-ranking members of Kuvira's army, I believe he should serve longer than the average high-ranking officers. But to be sentenced equal to the would-be-dictator herself, I don't believe is fair, because he was not equal to her."

"Thank you Avatar Korra, no further questions."

The prosecutor stood and addressed the judge. "The prosecution has no questions for the witness."

Korra reclaimed her seat next to Jinora.

"I call to the stand our next and final witness for the defense, Miss Asami Sato." Baatar Jr.’s lawyer said as he looked around the audience again.

Asami rose from her seat, passing a folder of papers to the woman with her. Asami took her seat, crossing her legs as she settled.

"Miss Sato, can you please tell us your version of the events of the day of the attack, specifically your encounter with the defendant."

"Yes. I was working at my office on two Hummingbird aircraft we were planning on using against Kuvira's mech. My office building had become a rendezvous point for Republic City's defense team. While my former business partners Varrick and Zhu Li were attempting to disable Kuvira's mech with electromagnetic impulses, Suyin Beifong came to my office with her son Baatar Jr. to seek relief from the attacks. Baatar Jr. was physically weakened and we needed to place to hold him. He stayed in my office with his mother until Varrick, Zhu Li and Police Chief Lin Beifong returned. Chief Beifong brought my father, Hiroshi Sato with her. From Baatar Jr.'s information regarding the power source of the mech and how to turn it off, we were all able to come up with a plan of attack. My father, Varrick, Zhu Li, and I flew the hummingbird suits. Our mission was to cut away in for the bender forces to get inside the mech. From there, they were able to take down Kuvira's mech from the inside. It was a team effort; we couldn't have done it without everyone's contributions."

"Did the defendant offer this information freely?"

"Yes."

"Miss Sato, as part of the defense you are calling for a lesser sentence than death. What do you suggest and why?"

"I agree with Avatar Korra's recommended duration of fifteen to twenty years. My father, as many know was a convicted criminal serving his time. Had he been executed we may be in a very different situation today. That day Chief Beifong took it upon herself to pull him from prison because she knew despite his crimes, he had a brilliant mind. My father came up with the idea to attach plasma saws to the hummingbird suits we had created. My father made it possible for team Av-I mean the Avatar led team to get inside Kuvira's mech by sacrificing his own life to cut inside. We never know what could threaten our city again, but I'd feel safer knowing that we preserved our great minds, because we never know when we might need them. Baatar Jr. clearly has talent.”

"No further questions," the defense lawyer said as he confidently took his seat.

The Prosecutor rose. “I have a few questions for the witness.”

The judge nodded and motioned for her to step forward. The Prosecutor took a few confident steps until she was in front of Asami.

“Miss Sato, could you please describe your relationship with the defendant?”

“I don’t have one. The time I just discussed has been my only interaction with Baatar Jr.” Asami turned to the Prosecutor and gave a faint smile.

“You have been to Baatar Jr.’s home in Zaofu, have you not?”

“Yes, I visited the Beifong home during a trip to Zaofu, but we did not meet at that time.”

“What was the nature of that trip?”

“The trip was to meet with the Beifong family, specifically Miss Opal Beifong. She was discovered to be an Airbender after Harmonic Convergence.”

The Prosecutor took a quick glance at her notes. “Why were you on this trip to meet with new airbenders?”

“I had offered one of my airships to Avatar Korra and Master Tenzin for their search for the new Airbenders. I was there to manage the travel.”

Korra winced at Asami saying her title. It sounded strange listening to her girlfriend speak about her so formally. Korra leaned over to Jinora. “Why is this lady doing this? She didn’t ask me anything.”

“To question you implies they don't trust or believe you. No one wants to lose favor with the Avatar when the entire structure of the Earth Kingdom is going to need to be rebuilt.” Jinora replied.

Korra snorted. “And who does Republic City think is going to help rebuild our city? This is The Earth Nation AND The United Republic vs. Baatar Jr., right?”

“I think Raiko knows she’ll still help despite the interrogation. It seems like the Earth Kingdom is out for blood and won’t give Baatar Jr. up without a bit of a struggle. Don’t worry, they clearly don’t have anything, all they can do is plant the seed of doubt about her neutrality on the situation.”

The Avatar sunk down into her seat. “This is dumb. This woman isn’t even asking questions about the attack."

The prosecutor too a few steps closer to the stand. “And what was your interest is this trip? Finding new airbenders doesn’t seem to have much to do with the production of Satomobiles.”

Asami adjusted herself in her seat. “I wanted to lend my aid to the Air Nation. They are an important part of Republic City. Besides, my company is involved with many different charities.”

“Do you always spend your personal time with your charities?”

“Not all of them, but this was a more complicated situation, so I wanted to personally oversee it. I brought in my records of all my charity-related dealings since I took over Future Industries if you’d like to see them.” Asami said with a smirk.

“That won't be necessary."

The Prosecutor walked over to her station to check her notes. There was a few moments of silence in the courtroom. The Prosecutor put down her papers and confidently walked toward Aaami.

"Miss Sato, do you admire the Avatar? You sponsored the statue in her park, did you not?”

Korra shot up in her seat. Jinora looked over, startled at the sudden movement.

“You didn’t know about that?” Jinora whispered.

“I didn’t even know I had a park,” Korra whispered back.

“Surprise, check it out sometime, I heard it survived the attack.”

The Avatar sought out her girlfriend’s eyes and held contact as she waited for her to respond. Asami leaned in closer to the microphone. “I do, she made a great sacrifice for the Air Nation and has saved our city many times. I thought the memorial statue was well deserved.”

“Would you consider yourself a part of ‘Team Avatar’?”

Korra shifted in her seat still trying to hold Asami’s gaze, but she looked away and down at her hands.

“Not especially. As a non-bender, I don’t have much to offer in a big fight. I also am quite busy running my company. I admire all they do for humanity, so I just try to offer resources when I can, but that is it.”

The Prosecutor walked around Asami’s seat on the witness stand. The engineer straightens up in her seat, feeling the woman’s intense gaze.

“What is your motivation for speaking on the defendant’s behalf today?” The Prosecutor asked leaning in closer.

Asami kept her head forward and address the audience, “my father.”

“Could you please elaborate?”

“Baatar Jr. helped save our city, I witnessed that first hand. Like my father, he was a talented man who let his emotions steer him away from what is right. Had my father survived, I believe he would have come out of his time in jail a better man. I think Baatar Jr. deserves that chance."

The Prosecutor crossed her arms and walked away from Asami. “No further questions.”

The judge hit his gavel a few times before addressing the room. “We will take a recess for lunch. Closing statements will begin when we return in one hour.”

Asami got down from the stage and made her way to the woman who accompanied her.

“Thank you for coming with me Kali; let’s go get some lunch before we go back to the office,” Asami said as she tied up her hair into a more casual ponytail.

“Yes Miss Sato,” Kali said collecting the folders they had brought.

Korra bolted up in her seat and Jinora pulled her right back down.

The young Airbender sighed exasperatedly. “You have to wait.”

“Right, sorry.” Korra muttered.


***
The group gathered out in front of the courthouse to wait for Suyin and Baatar Sr..They wanted to have a few words with Baatar Jr.’s lawyer before the break.

Korra looked around the group and noticed two faces were missing. She nudged Opal.

“I just noticed where are Bolin and Mako?”

As soon as Korra asked the question the boys started walking toward the group. The two girls jogged over to meet them. They slowed down when they saw the uncomfortable expression on their faces.

“Who died?” Opal asked.

Bolin put his hand behind his head and scratched nervously. “Hi Opal, sorry we’re late. We just needed to take care of some things.”

“What’s wrong, what things?” Opal said walking up to Bolin.

Bolin looked over at Mako for support, but his brother was looking down at the ground. Korra walked over to Mako and put a hand on his shoulder.

“Are you okay? What happened?” Korra cocked her head so she could meet Mako’s eyes.

Mako took in a deep breath before meeting Korra’s gaze. His heart started to pound as he looked into her bright and concerned eyes. “I’m leaving today to the Earth Kingdom for a while, to help Wu.”

“Oh, well that’s really good of you Mako.” The Avatar said with an unsure smile. “Kinda sudden.”

“It was a last-minute plan of Wu’s," Mako replied.

"That is typical of Wu," Korra said convinced.

Opal stepped closed and expected. “Really, I can’t believe Aunt Lin is willing to let you go?”

“Go where?”

The four jumped when they heard Lin’s gruff voice. She has somehow managed to sneak over to the group unnoticed.

Mako pulled at his collar. “Chief, I’m glad you’re here. I’m joining Wu back to the Earth Kingdom to help things get set up there.”

“Willingly?”

“Yes, I think I could really help out,” Mako replied with a curt nod.

“He’s not blackmailing you, is he?” Lin said with a smirk. “I mean you were begging me before to get out away from him and now you want to work for him.”

“I know. I thought about what you said at the wedding and I need to take a similar approach to my situation."

Lin gave Mako a questioning look. He darted his eyes over to Korra’s direction. Lin followed his eyes and then what he was implying sunk in. The older woman moved over to him and put a hand on his shoulder. “Understood Detective, it’s good to get away for a little while, get a fresh perspective. There’ll always be a job for you when you come back.”

“Thanks, Chief.”

“Take care of yourself.” Lin gave him one more pat and walked back to the other group.

Korra and Opal looked at Mako unsure of what had transpired between the two. Bolin stretched his arms up over his head. "Well, we better hit the road. Don't want you missing your ride big brother."

"Wait, Asami isn't even here to say goodbye. You really need to go so soon?" Korra asked taking a step toward the boys.

"I do. Let her know I'm sorry I couldn't say goodbye."

The Avatar grabbed him and pulled him into a tight hug. "Well take care of yourself! Don't let Wu boss you around too much."

When they separated Opal moved in for a hug. "Let us know where you’re staying. Kai and I will be out there in a few weeks helping out. We'll catch up."

"I will," Mako said taking a few steps back.

Bolin gave Opal a quick kiss. “I’ll meet you at the Air Temple later. You can tell me how the rest of the trial goes.”

“Okay.”

Bolin put his arm around Mako and started turning them away from the group. "Time to go."

“Bye Mako.” Korra and Opal both said waving the brothers off.

Mako took a look back at Korra. She gave him a warm smile and a little wave. He quickly turned his head back forward. Soon the boys were out of sight.

“You think he’s okay?” Korra asked turning to Opal.

The Airbender stared back in the direction the boys left in. “Yeah, I think he’s just a little sad to be leaving home. You know Mako, tough on the outside and a puddle on the inside. C'mon we’re losing our lunchtime just standing around.”

Opal looped her arm into the Korra’s and started pulling her away. The Avatar took one look back, unconvinced.

To be continued…

Notes:

Any Grammar/Spelling corrections, comments or concerns are always appreciated.

Chapter 8: A Promise

Summary:

Decompressing after the trial.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

After lunch, the group went back to the courthouse for the closing statements. Asami did not return to hear them. Korra assumed it was part of her ploy to create distance. The Avatar was very much looking forward to this 'distance' being over with. It had been a weird day and she could use a little comfort from her girlfriend. The thought made her smile. “Asami Sato is my girlfriend.”

Korra looked over at Baatar Jr., despite his crimes she felt for him. Maybe it was because she witnessed the effects of Kuvira's dismissal of him first hand, or maybe it was because that was something she knew could break her too. It was quite early in her relationship with Asami, but she felt confident she'd never have to worry about her girlfriend doing what Kuvira did to Baatar Jr.

The gavel rapped a few times and Korra stopped her musing. It was over. Now Baatar Jr.'s fate rested in the jury members’ hands. The courtroom slowly emptied, and the hum of many conversations got quieter and quieter.

“It’s time to say goodbye until sentencing, could be a few days before we get a verdict.” Baatar Jr.'s defense lawyer called out to their small crowd.

Suyin shot up from her seat and headed towards the front of the courthouse. Baatar Jr. sat shackled as his mother clutched his head to her chest. She gently stroked the longer hair atop his head. Baatar Sr. soon joined them. The rest of the Beifong children and Lin had left their seats but kept a bit of distance.

Korra surmised they were unsure of how to act towards Baatar Jr. She already knew Opal was conflicted; her brothers and Lin must be to. They all looked to Opal, as if to ask for guidance. Opal hung her head and started walking towards where her parents and brother were. The three boys and Lin followed. Baatar Sr. stepped to the side so his other children could speak to their brother. Baatar Jr. noticed his siblings’ presence and looked up. Even from her seat Korra could see the glimmer of tears forming in his eyes. She felt her heart tighten at the sight.

Korra felt a firm hand on her shoulder. She looked up to see Tenzin in the row behind her. “We're heading back to the Temple.”

“Ok, I'm ready.”

****

Tenzin, Korra, and Jinora slowly walked together back to the city docks.

“You did well today Korra. I know public speaking is not easy for you.” Tenzin said, with a light pat on her back.

The Avatar straightened up a bit, feeling proud of herself. “Thanks, Tenzin. I want to get better at it. I should ask Asami for advice, she's so confident since she does it all the time.”

“Mmm, she also did well. The Prosecutor didn't make it easy for her.”

“What do you think the jury will decide, Dad?” Jinora asked.

Tenzin thoughtfully stroked his beard as they walked. “It’s hard to say, Jinora. The United Republic has never sought the death penalty before. I do believe whatever is decided for Baatar Jr. will impact Kuvira's trial. If they choose to execute Baatar Jr., then her execution is a guarantee. If they choose not to, then it is possible she could get off with a life sentence.”

They arrived at the docks and took a seat to wait for the next ferry.

“What do you think… Kuvira deserves?” Jinora asked looking over at her father sitting beside her.

“I do not believe we have the right to take anyone's life away, no matter what the circumstances. That is a core principle of the Air Nation. My father was told over and over again during the hundred-year war that the only way to end it was to kill the Fire Lord. In his spirit, he knew that it was not the answer and he chose to follow his own path. Korra, you made a similar decision with Kuvira.”

“I guess I did. Had it not played out the way it did, had she not lost control of the weapon and needing saving, I don't know if I would have been able to reason with her. I don't know what I would have done then…” Korra said, putting her hands in her pockets.

“But that is what happened and you did choose to save her life. When my father took away the Fire Lord’s bending, that was an unprecedented punishment. It made capturing him and imprisoning him for life easy since he was no longer a threat. It was also his son, Lord Zuko who was in control of that punishment.” Tenzin stopped for a moment. “I wonder if the Earth Kingdom felt cheated out of that chance to punish their oppressor… Perhaps their push for death stems from that incident. These are different times we live in girls. You are the ones who will shape the world next. Remember these trials and remember the past. It is when people forget the past that they end up repeating the same mistakes.”

Korra stood up and walked a few steps away from her company. “Taking away her bending, that could be a sentence worse than death to her… You think I should suggest it as an alternative to the jury.” Korra said, starting to pace.

“I do, but it is your decision if you want to testify in her defense and how.”

Korra kicked a nearby rock. She kept on doing this; before she was wrapped up in thinking about Kuvira she forgot about Bataar Jr. Now she had done the same to Kuvira. She didn’t know what the right thing to do was.

“You think I could get a chance to talk to her before the trial?”

“I’ll see what I can arrange,” Tenzin said from his seat.

The boat started to pull into the docks.  Jinora and Tenzin got up from their seats in anticipation.

****

When the trio arrived back on the island, Jinora and Tenzin went to the gazebo to meditate. Korra opted out; too much was going on in her mind to even attempt meditating. Korra instead chose to just hang around at the Air Temple waiting for Asami to show up.

Father and daughter sat side by side in silence. Tenzin was happy that at least one of his children enjoyed meditating as he did. His relationship with Jinora reminded him of the one he had with his own father. Aang would have been so thrilled, had he gotten the chance to meet her.

It was a huge weight off his shoulders knowing he could trust one of his children with the Air Nation when he passed. It was a thought that had been weighing on him more and more lately. He’d had two very close skirts with death in the past years and was starting to feel his mortality. How many more radical tyrants’ attacks could he survive? He wasn't getting any younger.

Tenzin snuck a look at his daughter beside him. Perhaps it was time to talk to her about the future. She was going to be fifteen soon, old enough to learn about what was to be expected of her.

Tenzin cleared his throat, “Jinora?”

Jinora slowly opened her eyes and looked over at her father. “Yeah?”

“I want to talk to you about some things…”

“Okay,” Jinora said scooting herself to face her father. Tenzin did the same. They both remained seated in the lotus position but were now facing each other.

“Jinora, you know that you are going to be the one to lead the Air Nation when I no longer can?”

“I guess... I never really thought about it. That seems so far away.”

“For your sake, I hope it is, but we have seen a lot these past few years. It has made me realize that nothing is a guarantee. I want to be prepared for whatever the world throws at us next.”

The young girl nodded.

“What I said today is true; you and Korra are part of the next generation who will take care of our world. As the leader of the Air Nation, you will be the airbending teacher and spiritual adviser to the Avatar. Korra is closer to your age than mine, so it is likely there will come a time when she looks to you for guidance, and if not, then the next Avatar.”

Jinora broke eye contact.

“I don't want to think about the next Avatar…”

“I know sweetheart, it's a strange situation. Normally, when a person in your life dies, that relationship is rarely replaced. With the Avatar it's different; we know that part of the person we knew before is a part of the new Avatar.”

“Even though her connection with her past lives is gone?”

“I like to think so. I wonder what it will be like for the next Avatar. Will they have access to Korra? Since it is just Korra who preceded them how much will she be in there? Does the individual Avatar's presence get diluted?”

“Is it weird, knowing that in some ways she is your Dad?”

“I like to think of her like she is a product of him, like another one of his children. I did feel an immediate fondness for Korra, like when you meet a relative for the first time. There is just something there.”

“I felt that way about Korra too when I met her.”

“It makes me happy that you two get along so well. I think it's time you start further building your relationship with Korra. She will need you and so will the next Avatar. Your experiences with her will help you guide the next Avatar.”

“You make it sound like Korra is practice,” Jinora said with an uncomfortable chuckle.

“She is... That is just the way it is for those who guide the Avatar Cycle. It is time I told you; I am a member of the White Lotus.”

“What?”

Tenzin looked out to the water. “I am a more discreet member, but one nonetheless. I hope one day you will join too. It is our mission to guide the Avatar in any way we can and maintain the balance of the world. When the White Lotus was revealed in the hundred-year war, we pledged allegiance to the Avatar. One of Aang's wishes was to set up a program for future Avatars, like the one in place before the war. He saw the world was changing, and he knew the next Avatar would need protection and teachers that could come to them. It was also when they began archiving all that was known about the Avatar. That way, future generations would be prepared to assist them. I wonder if Aang in some way foresaw Korra losing her connection with her past lives because what the White Lotus has archived is all we have to fall back on for future generations. Korra is the trial run of this new system. We have recorded everything about her since her discovery. We periodically interview her parents. I am interviewed as her mentor. One day they will wish to speak to you.”

“Does Korra know about this?”

Tenzin turned back to face his daughter. “Not yet, but she will soon… Now that she is an adult we are planning on having a more open dialogue with her. We don’t have the best track record with her. Korra is a very sensitive person; we don’t want her to take what we’ve done in the wrong way.”

“I’d feel pretty weird about knowing my life has been an experiment,” Jinora said with a shrug.

“Korra’s life… in many ways is not her own. The Avatar is still the most influential person in the world. At the end of the day, it is it the cycle itself that is the most important. The current Avatar is a vessel for the power to maintain balance. When the life of the Avatar is done or in true risk, the spirit will leave to preserve the cycle.”

“Zaheer wanted to stop the Avatar Cycle by killing Korra while she was in the Avatar State. How could that even happen, since the spirit can leave when it knows the Avatar could die?”

“We are not entirely certain. We theorize it’s because the Avatar and the Avatar Spirit are fully joined as one in the Avatar State, trapping the spirit in the Avatar host’s body. They both have to let go to get out of the Avatar State.”

“So an unforeseen attack or an unconscious Avatar means they cannot let go of their half of control over the Avatar State?”

“Correct. The spirit could be ready to leave the body but is trapped. The Avatar Spirit is powerful, but it has no body of its own. Living organisms will fight for their life down to the very end, it is an automatic response. This is part of the complicated relationship between the Avatar host and the Avatar Spirit.”

“It’s fascinating, but…” Jinora looked down at the wooden panels of the gazebo. “It makes me feel like I’m betraying Korra to think about her so objectively.  How did you do that when it was your own father?”

“Aang was very honest with me from the beginning. It wasn’t easy for him at first. He had to let go of a lot at a very young age. Your grandmother was one of those things. His love for her kept him out of the Avatar State, his inability to accept that his life and his mission had to come before her life. Risking the world to save her would in the end be the same as not saving her. He made sure we were aware that he didn’t love us any less, but he wasn’t just a father to us, he was like a father to the world. With no world, there would be no us.”

Jinora started to pick at the wood, letting all her father just told her sink in. “I love Korra, she’s like a big sister to me. I want her to be happy. For the first time in a long time, she seems genuinely happy. If guiding her is to be my path, then I fully accept it. If I do this, I am going to be a hundred percent honest with her. I don’t want any secrets between us.”

Tenzin smiled at his daughter. “I think you will two will work very well together.”

****

After dinner, Korra got tired of waiting so she grabbed her air glider and took off. About fifteen minutes later she dismounted from her air glider and walked up the many steps to the Sato mansion. She rang the bell and listened to the loud chime. The door cracked open and a small woman appeared.

“Yes?”

“Oh, hi Mako’s grandma, I uh, was wondering if Asami was home?”

The old woman squinted. “You're Mako and Bolin's little friend, the Avatar right?”

“Yeah, is Asami here?” Korra asked shifting her weight anxiously.

“Oh, she doesn't live here anymore. She got an apartment in the city about a few years ago, didn’t she tell you?”

“No, but I uh-”

“How can you go all that time and forget to tell your friends your new address?”

“Yeah, could I get that from you?” The Avatar asked trying to interject.

“Just goes to show how she works too much. She really ought to settle down and get married to a nice man like my grandson Mako. Do you have a boyfriend dear?”

“No, actually I have…” Korra looked at down into the hopeful eyes of the old woman in front of her. “I have… to go. Can I get Asami's new address?”

“Yes, I think she made a little card here.” Mako’s grandma walked inside the door for a moment. Korra could still hear her talking to herself. She soon came back with a slip of paper and handed it over.

“Thank you,” Korra said, opening her glider.

“Bye-bye Avatar! Tell my grandson Mako to come visit sometime soon!”

“But he – I will. Bye!”

Korra took to the sky. As the mansion got farther away she dared a look back.

“Mako must not have told her. Bolin will take care of it...”

Korra tried to navigate the city on her glider, but it was too hard to read the street signs. Eventually, she accepted she’d have to do it the old-fashioned way. She walked the rest of the way to Asami’s apartment. It was only a few buildings over from Future Industries’ campus. Korra could see why Asami had chosen the spot. She rang the bell again hoping this time it'd be Asami on the other side of the door. To Korra's relief, it was. They both rushed into each other’s arms and held on to each other tightly.

“Korra I'm so sorry I forgot to tell you I moved! I called Air Temple Island right after you left.”

“It's okay, I should have called first. I got impatient.” Korra said, nuzzling her face deeper into the crook of her girlfriend’s neck.

“I could have called you while I was at work to make plans. It was so busy, I just got home. Come in.” Asami said, taking Korra's hand and pulling her inside. “I'm going to change. Make yourself at home.”

Asami slipped down the hall and was quickly out of sight. Korra walked around the large open room. There was a seating area that bled into the kitchen. Most of the apartment walls were windows, giving Asami a lush view of the city. Korra walked up to one of the windows. She could see the faint lights on Air Temple Island.

“What do you think?” Asami purred into Korra's ear, having snuck up behind the shorter girl.

The Avatar turned to face Asami. She had changed into a red Fire Nation-style robe and had undone her hair. Korra's eyes looked her up and down a few times. “You have… quite the view…”

The engineer smirked and flipped her hair. “Can I get you something to drink? I need one after today…”

“Sure.”

Asami walked into the kitchen area and started rummaging in her cabinets. “What do you like?”

“I don't know... I'll have what you’re having.”

“Wine it is,”Asami said, pinching two glasses with her fingers in one hand and carrying a dark bottle in the other. She then made her way over to the love seat in the seating area. Korra followed.

“So Mako’s grandma… what's her real name?” Korra asked scratching the back of her head.

Asami started pouring them each a glass. “Yin.”

“Right, Grandma Yin told me you've been here for a few years?”

Asami passed her girlfriend a glass as she spoke. “Yes, I moved out after the family moved in. They were supposed to move back to the Earth Kingdom after Wu's coronation, but you know how that went. It doesn't bother me. It's been nice being closer to work and I really didn't need all that space to myself.”

“Speaking of Wu… Mako has gone to the Earth Kingdom to work with Wu. He wanted me to tell you he's sorry he couldn't say goodbye.”

Asami settled into her seat and took a quick sip of her glass. “You mean he's already left? Did he plan this while we were away?”

“I don't know, it sounded like it was a pretty sudden decision. He told Lin he was leaving at the same time he told me. The whole situation was strange; it felt like they weren't telling me something.” Korra said turning the glass around in her hands.

“Does… Mako know about us?”

“I don't know, him saying goodbye has been the first I've seen of him since we got back. He never showed up last night at the Air Temple. So unless someone else told him, I don't think so.”

Asami took a large swig of her drink and placed the glass on the table. “He must know and that probably has something to do with why he's leaving.”

“Why? He didn't run off after we all finally called it quits. That situation was way messier if you ask me.” Korra said, folding her arms.

“He tried to; remember he wasn't going to come to the Earth Kingdom with us,” Asami argued.

“Yeah I guess, but it's been so long since we dated. I can't imagine he'd be upset enough to leave. He did say something about taking Lin's advice; maybe it's like a career move?”

Asami got up from her seat. “Oh Korra, you're not even aware of it.”

“What are you talking about?”

“The effect you have on people,” Asami said, looking out the large window behind the love seat.

Korra leaned forward in her seat. “What do you mean?”

“There is just something magnetic about you. I don't know if it comes from having lived a thousand lives or if it’s just a Korra thing. Your strength, your charm and those icy blue eyes that freeze and warm you at the same time…”

All Korra could do was sit there wide-eyed and stare. She felt her face heating.

“I couldn't help but be drawn to you and clearly so many others feel that way too. About a year ago I suspected Mako was probably still in love with you. I didn't blame him; at that time I already knew that I loved you too. It's funny thinking back to that night. We were together, both hurting over you but not admitting it to each other. Had someone told Mako and I that we'd be in that situation when we first met, we both would have laughed.”

“Asami I…”

“You don't have to say anything. I started falling in love with you three years ago, when we were out in the desert, running away from the Earth Queen and sand sharks. You were like this wild girl from my childhood fantasy stories, beautiful, brave and strong.” Asami joined Korra on the love seat again. “I didn't want to fall for you, I really didn't. I couldn't stop it though.”

Korra turned her body to face Asami's. “I'm sorry I was gone so long. I was… I was just so lost.”

Asami took her girlfriend’s hands and kissed the back of them. “I know. I told you, you don't have to apologize and you don't have to explain. You didn't know how I felt. Besides, it wasn't until a year ago that I was ready to accept it myself.”

Korra gave Asami a slight nod and looked at their joined hands.

“Asami I… I love you too, you know.” Korra said, looking into Asami's eyes. “I might not have known as long as you have, but I do.”

Korra pulled Asami to her with their joined hands and tilted her head up to Asami's for a kiss. The girls both closed their eyes letting the sensation of their pressed lips take over.

Asami let go of Korra's hands and wrapped them around Korra's neck. The Avatar grabbed Asami's waist and pulled her whole body closer, causing the older girl to squeak.

“Did I startle you?” Korra asked with a smile, flexing her hands around Asami's waist.

“Just kiss me,” Asami commanded, pushing them both down onto the love seat, overestimating how much room there was and the two girls tumbled. They both groaned as they sorted themselves from the floor.

“We have the worst luck kissing.” The Avatar lamented.

Asami stood up pulling Korra with her. “Come.”

They quietly walked down the short hallway to Asami's bedroom. Once inside the engineer shrugged off her robe to reveal a black slip. Korra stayed in the doorway and watched. Asami sat down on her bed and patted the spot next to her.

“Asami… I don't know if…”

“Don't worry; I just want to cuddle with you.”

Korra smiled and started taking off her boots. Once they were off she joined Asami on the bed. Asami wrapped her arms around Korra's waist and pulled them both down. Asami adjusted herself so she was the big spoon around Korra, lacing her free hand in one of Korra's.

“There's not enough room for this on the love seat,” Asami whispered.

“Clearly, it makes you wonder why they call it that, considering how little room there is.”

Asami giggled. “I don't know. Maybe as Avatar, you can formally have them renamed.”

The girls fell quiet, enjoying the closeness. Korra closed her eyes. Her heart was still beating fast from the earlier events but was finally feeling the tension of the day leave her body.

“So when did you… fall in love with me?” Asami asked shyly. She was glad her girlfriend couldn't see how red her face probably was.

Korra thought for a moment before answering. “I think it started while I was out on my own, but I didn't really put it all together until I came back to Republic City. I thought about you during that time alone. Recovering dominated my thoughts, but every so often something else would slip through the cracks. You were one of those things. But then I would think about you and a weird feeling would come over me. My chest would tighten and I'd start getting nervous. It would freak me out so then I tried to not think about you. When I came back it felt like we just synced up… You know?”

Korra opened her eyes and looked down at their clasped hands. They perfectly represented the differences in their physical appearances. Asami's hands were long, slender, and pale, whereas hers were thick and dark. She pulled them closer to her chest.

“You were there, you had always been there supporting me, even when I left for three years. I wanted to be there for you too, in all the ways you had been and more... I couldn't quite place what more I wanted and then one night when we were at the Air Temple before Kuvira attacked, I looked at you and my chest tightened and I started getting nervous. I looked at you and my breath left my body. I wished I could sit with you on the gazebo every night. Then it clicked in my brain, along with a panic that I was in love with you… and well, you know the rest…”

“I like the rest,” Asami whispered.

Korra rolled over so she was facing Asami in the bed.

“Even though... you… your father…”

Asami put a finger to her girlfriend’s lips.

“Being able to testify to his honor was the closure I needed. Many people now know about the sacrifice he made for this city and for me.” Asami said, tracing her finger over Korra's features.

“Do you think he would have approved of us?”

Asami finished her tracing, ending with Korra's nose. She pressed the tip of it like a button. “That time in jail seemed to help him realize what was really important. I think he would have put his personal beliefs aside to be a part of my life. The humor is not lost on me that the man who was against benders daughter has ended up with the 'bender.'”

“Today at the trial, you said you don't feel like you’re a part of team Avatar… is that true?”

“It was once, but not anymore. It was actually Lin who helped me realize I am a part of the team.”

“Really?”

“Mhmm, you were unconscious at the time.”

“You realized a lot during that time, huh.”

“I did, and it was worth the wait. Korra, will you promise me something?”

Korra's heart raced, “anything.”

“Promise me this is the last time we talk about 'that time.' Because I've realized that my father gave me an incredible gift and I don't want to waste it on 'what-ifs' and 'what-could-have-beens.' What happened, happened. All that matters to me now is a chance to build a life with you.”

“I promise.”

***

“In other news, today was the last day of Baatar Beifong Jr.'s trial. Kuvira's second in command had two surprise celebrity speakers in his defense, the owner of Future Industries Asami Sato, and Avatar Korra. Both public figures argued against the death penalty being sought by Republic City and the Earth Kingdom. Deliberations are now underway for Baatar Jr.'s sentence. Our criminal expert anticipates it will be at least a few days before the jury reaches their verdict. Now the weather, tomorrow-”

Before Kuvira could hear the weather the radio was clicked off by one of the guards. Not that it mattered; the weather may never matter to her again. It was just nice having another voice to listen to besides the one in her head.

Kuvira silently pleaded that the verdict for Baatar came quick, so she could get her miserable trial over with. The sooner she found out that she was either going to be executed or spend the rest of her life in jail, the better. Not knowing what to mentally prepare for was becoming torture and she honestly didn't know which sentence would be worse.

To be continued...

Notes:

Thank you TheToasterMarketingBoard for editing this before posting!

Chapter 9: Balancing The 'Balancer'

Summary:

Korra visits Kuvira in prison.

Notes:

Many thanks to ToasterMarketingBoard for editing this chapter!

Chapter Text

The morning sun shone brightly into Asami's bedroom. The pair had fallen asleep not long after their talk the previous night, so they never got around to closing the many blinds in the room. Asami began to stir but was held in place by a strong arm around her torso.

‘Korra…’

Her heart began to race. How many nights had she dreamed about waking up in Korra's arms? Asami scolded herself. 'No more thoughts like that. I am in her arms and I plan on waking up in them whenever possible!'

“Mmmmmsami?” Korra said groggily. Asami turned to face Korra, who had loosened her grip since waking.

Asami was face to face with a very sleepy Avatar. She leaned forward, pecking Korra on the nose. “Morning.”  

Korra blinked a few times and smiled. “Good morning. You have a really comfy bed.”  

“Anything is comfy compared to an Air Temple bed.”  

“No really,” Korra said rolling onto her back and spreading out like a starfish. “It's so soft and big. I can do this and not even touch you.”    

Asami giggled. “It's big enough that if I'm ever mad at you, I don't have to make you sleep on the loveseat, just the end of the bed.”  

“Least I'll be comfy,” Korra said, rolling back over to Asami and pulling her closer. “Besides.”  She started kissing Asami's cheeks and ears. “How could you ever be mad at me?”  

Asami giggled as she halfheartedly tried to fend off the barrage of kisses. They eventually stopped their playing and settled into a comfortable silence. Asami had tucked herself under Korra's chin. Korra held her with one arm and mindlessly petted her hair with the other.

Korra opened and closed her mouth a few times before she could get what she wanted to say out. “I'm going to go see Kuvira in prison if Tenzin can get me in.”  

Asami said nothing, so Korra continued. “I want to speak with her before I decide if I want to defend her in court… Is that okay?”  

Asami tightened her hold on Korra's shirt. “It's okay.”   

Korra let out a long sigh of relief.

“I appreciate you asking… but you shouldn't do that for situations like this. You are the Avatar. You can't be asking for my permission.”  

“I asked because I care about your feelings.”  

“I know, I know, but there are going to be things you need to do, that I don't want you to do, then what?”  

Korra looked up at the ceiling. “I always want to know what you think, even if I have to go against it. You're not just my girlfriend; you're also one of the smartest people I know. I act, then think. You do the opposite. I need a person like you by my side, to keep me balanced.”  

“It's my job to balance, the 'balancer'?” Asami said with a smirk. “How's the pay?”  

“No money, but there are benefits.”  

“Mmm. I'd like to take advantage of these benefits.”   

Korra gulped. “Ah-Asami, when you say benefits, do you mean like, that kind of benefits?”  

“Whatever do you mean, Korra?” Asami asked, flipping her hair,

“Don't tease.”  

Asami sat up. “I'm sorry. I know you're not ready.”  

The Avatar sat up as well. She looked at Asami and then down at the bed.

“Honestly I'm scared… I've never ‘gone all the way’....” she said, picking at the sheets nervously. “Have you ever?”  

“I have,” Asami said trying to meet her girlfriend's eyes, but she kept them on the blanket.

“Oh,” was all Korra could think to say.

The engineer scooted closer to Korra and took her chin in her hand. “I love you, and will give you all the time you need.”  

Korra's eyes met her girlfriend's. “Okay.”  

Asami smiled. “I like what we have right now, and I'd like it if you'd spend the night with me again tonight.”  

Korra finally smiled back. “I'd like that a lot, and not just ‘cos this bed is comfier.”  

***

Later that morning Korra went back to Air Temple Island. Pema met her at the entrance.

“There you are!” she called out.

The Avatar collapsed her glider and walked toward the older woman. “Hey! Sorry, I slept over at Asami's last night...”  

“That's fine, just let us know when you're not coming home in the future, okay?”  

“Yes Mom,”   Korra said in a childish tone.

Pema put her hands on her hips as if she was scolding one of her own children. Korra knew she wasn't in trouble because Pema was smiling.

“Speaking of, your mother called last night and this morning.”  

Korra dropped her glider. “Oh no, I completely forgot to call them since I got back!”  

“I told her a bit about the trial and why you have been too busy, but you still better go call right away.”

Korra grabbed her glider off the ground and started to run to the temple. “Thanks, Pema!”

The mother shook her head as she watched her go.

Korra waved 'hello' to various people as she navigated her way through the main temple building. She breathed a sigh of relief when she arrived at the telephone room and found it was empty. Korra slid the door closed and took a seat.

She looked up her parents’ number and made the call.

“Hello, Tonraq speaking.”  

“Dad.”  

“Korra! Senna, it's Korra on the telephone.” She heard her father call out.

“Your mother should be right over. How was your trip to the Spirit World?”  

“It was really good.”  

“You know you had us worried there for a second.”  

“I know, I know. I'm really sorry, you see-”  

The Avatar was interrupted by her mother's voice blaring through the speaker. “Korra!”  

“Hi, Mom.”  

“Korra honey, I have been so worried!”  

“I was just explaining to Dad that-”  Korra started, but her mother continued to speak.

“You can't just leave in the middle of the night and not tell anyone where you are going! We were supposed to have breakfast and then you were going to see us off at the dock!”  

“I'm really-”  

“We hadn't seen you in months. We thought you could have been kidnapped!”  

“Senna, take it easy. She is an adult now. You just got a little over-excited about taking a vacation, with uh, you know, your pilot friend and forgot, right Korra?”  

“Yeah uh...”  The Avatar murmured.

“I wouldn't have been so worried if you had taken your other friends like Mako and Bolin like you normally do!”  

“Sato! Asami Sato, that's her name. She owns that big company.” Tonraq said more to himself.

“Yes, Dad. So about Asami… listen we're actually-”  

“It's just so strange that'd you'd go off like that… alone. Are you not getting along with your other friends?”  

Korra held the handset away from her ear and put her face in her free hand. She couldn't handle this right now and clearly, it wasn't a good time to tell them about Asami.

The Avatar brought the handset back to her ear. Her mother was still talking and probably had been the whole time.

“So anyway, I'm sure you heard the trials have been going on. I gotta start prepping for the next one, I'll call sometime next week.”  Korra started moving the handset away to hang up.

“Korra?”  

“Love you both! Bye!” Korra shouted as she hung up. “Yikes!”  

The door slid open.

“Korra! I've been looking for you.”  

“Jinora,” Korra said with a wave.

The young Airbender slid the door behind her and entered the room. “Are you okay?”  

“Yeah, I was just talking to my parents, you know how it is,” Korra said stepping in front of the telephone.

“Dad got the approval for you to visit Kuvira. I was wondering if you would let me go with you.”  

“Sure, I'll take the company. Let me just get some fresh clothes on and you want to go?”   

Jinora nodded and smiled. “Great.”  

****

Korra started to get nervous as she passed through several security checkpoints. She hadn't seen Kuvira since their confrontation in the Spirit World. At that time they had a come to an understanding. She wondered, would it still be there?

Korra and Jinora reached the final gate. The guards looked the two up and down before extending their hands out. They quickly jabbed towards them, then clenched their hands into fists and brought them back to their bodies.

“No metal. You're clear to enter.” one of the guards said, undoing the lock.

They walked into a small area where two more guards sat around a table. Lining the left side of the room were the bars of Kuvira's cell. It was about double the size of the small guard area.

The guards looked up from their card game and jumped. They scrambled to get up and stand to attention.

“Avatar Korra,” they said in unison.

Korra waved them off. “Can we speak with her privately?”  

“We'll be on the other side of the door.” said one of the guards as he closed the door behind him.

Korra walked up to the platinum bars. Jinora stayed a few steps behind her. Kuvira sat on her bed, eyes looking towards the wall, only giving Korra a view of her profile.

“Who is that?” Kuvira asked without turning her head.

“She is a friend. Jinora is someone whose sympathy you may wish to have someday.” Korra said, crossing her arms.

Kuvira picked at a spot on her pants leg. She pulled a fleck of something off and flicked it away. “Someday, huh? I heard you spoke at Baatar's trial, in his defense. He is lucky he has a mommy in high places. I don't anticipate any celebrity speakers asking for my life.”  

“That depends on how this conversation goes. Will you answer a few questions for me?”  

Kuvira said nothing in reply. Korra shrugged and continued. “Why did you fire at us in the warehouse, knowing Baatar Jr. would die too?”  

“Isn't that an obvious question?”  

“Okay, what I mean is, how could killing me become more important than your fiancé’s life?”  

“This is what you came to talk to me about? You're more childish than I originally thought.” Kuvira grumbled, readjusting in her seat.

“This is a serious question.”  

“Korra, you're the Avatar, do you not think that very situation won't happen to you? There will come a day when the good of the people will outweigh your own attachments.” Kuvira said, eyes still intensely forward.

“But you loved him, didn't you?”  

“I've known him a long time and I trusted his loyalty. He was the right partner to have at my side to run the empire.”  

“You weren't in love with him...” Korra said, taking a step back from the bars.

“Of course not, that would have been foolish of me, to choose a partner based on such a reckless emotion.”  

“Have you ever been in love?”  

“I have.”  

“What happened?”  

“You really came here to discuss my romantic history, Avatar?”  

Korra gave her a stern look. “What happened?”  

“She broke up with me. Said I was too intense. She wasn't wrong.”  

“Oh, you are...?”  

“A homosexual? Yes, personal preferences aside my people needed a leader they could believe in. Following the rules of heteronormativity is an important part of that role.”  

“Heteronorma-wha?”  

“The social values of my people; being a normal woman, with a husband and a family, playing mother and father to the Earth Kingdom.”  

The Avatar crossed her arms. “I'm sorry you thought that was the only way for you.”  

“It was the only way. But I loved my people, so it was worth the personal sacrifice. Does that answer your question?”  

“It was still cold of you. He really loved you.”  

“Yes, everyone feels bad for poor Baatar,” Kuvira said, standing up from her seat. She turned to face the wall, giving Korra and Jinora her back.

Korra looked over at her young companion. She hadn't really thought about what else to ask Kuvira. Korra gave her a pleading look and Jinora motioned to the door. Korra nodded and they both stepped out.

The guards perked up at the sound.

“We just need a moment,” Korra explained.

They nodded and went back into Kuvira's room.

“Korra, what Kuvira did really bothers you, doesn't it?” Jinora said softly.

“Kinda, I'm trying to not let it.”  

“I'm sorry, but you were pretty transparent in there.”  

The Avatar groaned and sulked away from Jinora. She made contact with the wall and banged her fist on it. “I can't seem to let it go. How could she have done that to him?”  

“It scares you that she's right, that one day you could be faced with the very same decision.”  

“What? No… I'm scared of...”   Korra said staring into the wall. In her mind, she slipped back into that moment in the Spirit World, when the portal was born from the spirit weapon’s blast. She stared at a reflection of herself and then Kuvira.

Korra let her head collide will the wall. “I'm so blind...”   She murmured into the wood.

Jinora walked over to Korra and placed a hand on her shoulder.

“I keep thinking about Baatar Jr. and how he must have felt...”   The Avatar lifted her head and let it drop on the wood again with a thud. “But it really is the thought of ever making that choice… How could she have done it? She didn't love him.” She pounded the wall again with her fist. “Somehow that makes it even worse!”  

“Korra,” Jinora said softly, giving her shoulder a squeeze.

“I'm not going to compromise who I am. I don't want to live a disingenuous life. Kuvira thought she knew what her people needed. She made that decision for them. Had she let them be equal partners this never would have happened.”  

“Korra.” Jinora firmly said again.

The Avatar finally looked over at her. Korra's eyes were wide and almost wild.

“I think we should call it a day. Let's go home and let you process this. We can try again tomorrow.”  

Korra bowed her head slightly. “You're right.”  

***

Asami parked her ‘Satoboat’ at the temple docks and briskly walked up the ramp. She was able to sneak out of work early and wanted to surprise Korra.

When she got up to the temple grounds it was fairly quiet. Only a few airbenders were practicing their stances in the courtyard. She made her way inside the main building and into the kitchen. Pema was inside wiping down some counters.

“Hi Pema.”  

The older woman looked up from her work. “Oh hi Asami, didn't hear you come in. I was going to make a pot of tea, want some?”  

“Love some,” Asami said leaning into one of the counters. “Is Korra around?”  

“No, she and Jinora went to the prison.” Pema said, lifting her kettle off of the flame. She poured the steaming water into the teapot and placed it on a tray with two cups. Pema walked towards Asami and motioned with her head to follow.

The women went outside to the gazebo and sat down. Pema started to pour them each a cup. “It's just too nice out to be inside.”  

The engineer reached for the cup being offered to her. “Thank you. Yes it is. I was hoping to spend some of it with Korra.”  

Pema blew a few puffs of air on her steaming liquid before smirking at the younger woman. “Promise you won't keep her all to yourself? Maybe spend a few nights over here during the week?”  

Asami blushed.

“I'm asking you, because you're the level-headed one. Korra can be very emotional, and she easily gets wrapped up in things.”  

“She was just talking to me about that this morning… How I'm going to be the one to keep her in balance.”  

“Well that's good she knows that. It's important to understand your role in the relationship. It's not easy being the one with the real power.”  Pema said with a wink.

“I promise I won't let her move in full time, yet.”  

“Thank you. Korra is like a daughter to me… I need to get used to the idea of her leaving the nest, the children do too.”  

There was a loud crashing sound from the water below.

“Speaking of...” Pema sighed, getting up from her seat to check what was happening.

Ikki's head bobbed out of the waves. She was spitting up water as she waded to the beach.

Pema called out “Honey are you okay?”   

Ikki looked up at the sound of her mother's voice. “I'm fine!” she shouted back.

Pema looked up to the sky to see a few airbenders circling overhead. She knew one of them was Meelo.

“Those two...”   Pema muttered to herself as she took her seat again.  “You want kids someday?”  

Asami sat up straight in her seat and blushed. “Uh… Um...”  

“Pray they're not benders, that's all I can say.”  

****

Korra and Jinora arrived at the temple right before dinner. After the meal Korra needed to speak with Tenzin, so Asami went outside again to wait. She walked down a winding stone path to the beach. It wasn't very wide, but it circled the perimeter of the island.

'I should call ahead next time before just coming over.' Asami thought to herself. She then shook her head. She liked spending time at the Air Temple, even without Korra. Her Sunday dinners before Kuvira’s attack played a big part in getting herself out of that slump.

Asami felt her heart twinge. That year before she heard back from Korra had been really good for her. She had stopped mourning Korra and learned how to live her life independently of the adventures of Team Avatar again. She gained a closer bond with the Airbender family. Her work spirit was revitalized and her company had finally reclaimed its good reputation. Her only regret from that time was the heart she broke.

She had almost brought Shey to meet her 'extended' family. Being with her had helped Asami finally reach a place where she was ready to share with people who she really was. Shey showed her there was a community of queer people in Republic City, that she wasn't her own little island.

Asami’s feelings for Shey had been genuinely strong; she liked to think her time with her wasn't a lie. But as soon as that letter from Korra came, it was like all the progress she had made of putting those feelings behind her was erased. The feelings came back with a vengeance. Perhaps they were more intense because Asami knew what it was they could have, they could share. Being intimate with a woman, being intimate with Korra had been only hypothetical.

She was sick for days after she got the letter. Soon after came the news that Korra was planning on sailing back to Republic City. When she finally met back up with Shey she just couldn't do it. Once that possibility with Korra opened back up, she had to try for it. Asami couldn't live her life not knowing what could have been. Part of her knew, even now that she had never truly let Korra go. That one little bit of her heart held onto her feelings.

The engineer chuckled. Even now as she reflected on her past relationship with Shey, she could only think more about Korra. “I guess it never was fair of me to begin with…”  

Asami heard a rustle behind her and turned around to see Ikki navigating her way out of a bush.

“Hey, Asami… How is it going?” the younger girl said sheepishly.

Asami flipped her hair.  “Since dinner, you mean?”  

Ikki moved closer. “ Ye-yeah?”  

Asami took a seat on a nearby log and patted the spot next to her. Ikki took the cue and sat down.

“So what's on your mind? Normally that's not hard to figure out.”    

Ikki blushed and shoved her hands between her knees.  “I have a question I'd like to ask you... If that's okay?”  

“It is.”  

“What's it like kissing a girl?” Ikki asked looking at Asami earnestly.

Asami blinked a few times, not expecting that particular question.

“I think it's very nice. Have you ever kissed a boy?”  

Ikki shook her head.

“Well, kissing is different with everyone, boys or girls. I've kissed more than one girl, and they all kiss differently.”   

Ikki did not seem fully satisfied by her answer.

“In my experience, having kissed both girls and boys, girls are softer and kiss slower. And the best kisses are with a person you really care about.”  

“When did you realize you liked girls?”  

“When I was fourteen, but it wasn't until I fell in love with Korra that I accepted that part of myself.”  

Ikki looked down at her hands, still wedged between her legs. Her heart started to beat faster. “I think I like girls too. I saw you and Korra the other night, you didn't know I was there. You were fixing her hair… And then you kissed her. I want someone to kiss me like that someday. I'm sorry I spied on you.”  

Asami smiled and put a hand on Ikki's shoulder. “I appreciate your honesty; it’s a good quality to have. I wish I was as honest as you are when I was your age. I think I would have spared myself a lot of hurt if I had been.”  

The engineer looked out to the water. They were on the city-facing side of the island. The lights from the still-standing towers twinkled on the water.

“Since you told me a secret, let me tell you one.”  

Ikki looked at the older wide-eyed and curious.

“I had my first girlfriend while Korra was away. It had gotten pretty serious, I was going to even bring her over one Sunday to meet you all. I was ready to let you all know that I liked women. Then I got a letter from Korra.”  

Ikki gasped.

“She didn't profess her love for me or anything like that. But I had tried to forget my feelings for Korra and the letter had brought them all back. So I had to break up with this girl. Staying with her after that would have been a lie.”  

“Who was she?”  

“Shey, the mover director.”  

“Oh wow, still not better than Korra though.”  

“That's what I thought too. I broke up with her, but I never told her the truth about why. I feel bad that I wasn't honest with her because one of these days she's going to find out. So, moral of the story, keep being honest, with others and most importantly yourself.”  

“So Korra doesn't know about this other girl?”  

“No.”  

“You should probably be honest with her.”  

“You're a quick learner.”  

Ikki beamed.

“Aaahsaaameeee?” a distant voice called out.

Ikki blew a gust of air that shot herself straight up into the sky. She saw Korra walking around by the docks. “We're over heeeeere!” she replied.

Korra waved and started in their direction. Ikki let herself float back to the beach.

“It's Korra.”  

“We should get going then. Thank you for listening.”  

Ikki blinked a few times. “Thank you for listening to me! No one ever does...”  

Asami felt her chest tighten. “You come talk to me anytime, okay?”  

Korra ended up meeting them halfway. Korra took Asami's hand as they all walked together towards the temple.

“So what were you two talking about?” Korra asked casually.

Asami looked over at Ikki and winked. “It's a secret.”   

“A secret? Not fair.”  

Ikki smiled and linked her arm to Asami's free one. “Sorry Korra!”   

 

To be continued...

Chapter 10: Secrets in the South

Chapter Text

 “Korra?” Senna called out into the handset.

“Love you both! Bye!” Korra replied, followed by the clicking sound of her hanging up.

“Korra?” Exasperated, Senna threw her hands up. “She hung up on us.”

Tonraq let out a soft chuckle as he patted his wife’s shoulder.

“Our daughter hung up on us,” she repeated.

“Well she's back home and she's okay, nothing to be worried about.”

“You don't think it's odd, that she just left with barely a word, with only her friend Asami, for three weeks?” Senna pressed.

“No, not really. Korra’s a big girl, and she doesn't live at home anymore.” The Chief looked at his wife, hoping his relaxed nature would put her at ease, but clearly, it wasn't having any effect. “Senna, she’s gone off plenty of other times and it's never bothered you before. Aren't you glad it was with a girlfriend and not some guy?”

Senna looked into her husband’s eyes, silently pleading for him to see what she saw in the situation. Yes Korra goes away for long periods, she’s the Avatar, and it’s her duty. But this wasn't an Avatar trip; it was a vacation, with another woman. She closed her eyes and let out a long sigh. He didn’t know what she knew, he hadn’t seen the letters.

Tonraq took Senna’s sigh as a sign she was ready to let whatever she was holding onto go. “We can go back to Republic City and visit her sometime soon, get that breakfast she owes us,” he said as he walked out of the room. The Chief went a few feet before noticing his wife hadn’t moved from her spot by the phone.

“Senna, what's wrong?”

The Avatar’s mother clutched the receiver to her chest. She felt the burn of tears threatening her eyes. Ever since that night when she searched through Korra's room, ever since she allowed herself to admit she still wanted another child she felt like she had been carrying a heavy burden on her shoulders. Keeping it inside was becoming too difficult.

“I wish we had another child,” she whispered, almost more to herself than her husband.

“What?”

“I wish we had another child after Korra...” Senna repeated, this time loud enough for him to hear.

Tonraq walked back to his wife. “What brought this on? Have you always felt this way?”

Senna’s eyes opened wide with disbelief. “You know I have! Did you forget the several conversations we had about it with the White Lotus? You agreed with them!” Senna put the phone receiver down with force. “I wish we had another child, one that would call the South home, a child that would get married and have children. I'm never going to be a grandmother…”

The tears Senna tried to hold back broke through and began to fall. Tonraq took her into his arms and held her small frame next to his large one. Senna buried her face into his broad chest, muffling her sobs.

"It's okay Senna. I think I know what's going on.”

“You do?” Senna whispered.

“I think you might be going through the change that women go through.”

Senna started to cry a little harder at his statement. Was it that? Was she just getting older and her hormones were starting to get out of whack?

“Maybe it's time to see Katara… I'm sure she could help.” Tonraq said softly, petting the top of his wife's head.

"Okay."

The following day Senna made her way to Katara's home. She knocked on the door and Kya was the one who answered.

“Senna! What brings you by?”

“I was hoping to have a session with Katara,” she said timidly.

Kya leaned against the doorframe casually. “Mom's been under the weather the past few days, but I can see you.”

Senna fidgeted for a moment. “Oh, that’s okay; I don't want to be a bother...”

Kya started ushering her inside. “Nonsense, come in!”

“Oh, okay...”

“Everyone forgets I'm a healer too,” Kya muttered, more to herself than Senna.

They went into the living area of the home and each took a seat.

“So, what's going on?” Kya asked as she settled into her chair.

Senna looked down at her folded hands. She was used to Katara's more gentle approach.

“My husband suggested I come by, he thinks I might be starting the uh, the change.”

Kya nodded. “And what do you think? How have you been feeling?”

“I have been feeling a little more sensitive, lonely,” Senna admitted.

“Did you notice when this started?”

“Maybe about six or eight months ago, after Korra left home… It might just be empty nest syndrome. I got used to having her around again. Not that I want to go back to taking care of her! I am so grateful she is well. There was a point that I began to doubt her being able to recover. I feel terrible even admitting to you now…”

“That was a difficult time Senna, not just for Korra. You know, caring for someone can take an emotional toll on the caregiver as well. It sounds like you're in the process now of making your own recovery.”

Senna shook her head. “I never thought about it like that.”

“Talking about it is a part of the healing process, and so is rebuilding your own life. Now that you’re not taking care of Korra, what have you done with that energy and that time you now have?”

Senna thought for a moment about the days she spent in her home, walking by the many empty rooms. “Honestly, not much. I don't have to do much to maintain my home, since Tonraq is Chief. No other children...”

“Sounds like it's time you found something new to do. You could get a hobby or volunteer. You now have the time to pursue those interests, those dreams outside of being a mother and a wife.”

“So you don't think I'm going through the change?”

“You could be. You're getting to that age. Keep an eye out for hot flashes, and infrequent or dramatic changes in your cycle. Come by if anything becomes uncomfortable, but otherwise, it's one of those things you just get through. You come by if you ever need to talk. Both Mom and I work on the body and the mind. Plus, we have some of that rare insight on Avatar stuff,” Kya said with a wink.

“Yes that is true, thank you.”

The two women sat in silence for a few movements. Senna made no motions to leave.

Kya cocked her head to the side, “something else on your mind Senna?”

Senna fidgeted in her seat, trying to figure out what she wanted to say. Her discovery in Korra’s room was still gnawing at the back of her mind. Did it mean what she thought it meant?  She just needed to say it aloud to someone. Then the ridiculousness of the idea would be clear and she could laugh it off or…

Senna again kept her view on her lap; she couldn’t look into Kya’s curious eyes. “I think Korra is… I think she is...”

"Senna, when did you come in?"

The younger women look over at the doorway Katara was standing in.

“Mom, you should be in bed!” Kya barked.

Katara waved her off. “I've been in bed for days, I'm fine.”

Senna popped up from her seat. “I should get going.”

“No need to rush out the door just because I'm here,” Katara said, shuffling over to the seating area.

Senna made her way towards the door. “Really, I should go. Thank you Kya, Katara I hope you feel better.”

When their door clicked shut Katara looked over at her daughter. “What was that all about?”

“Oh, she’s just starting to go through the change.”

“Is that all?”

“I think some Avatar Mom stuff too.”

Katara bowed her head. “I can't imagine it's been easy for her.”

****

Senna hurried back towards her home. Her feet made a steady crunching sound as she trudged through the snow.  She couldn't talk to Katara about it. She had known Katara her whole life, but always felt uncomfortable discussing her daughter with the older woman. To speak of Korra to Katara felt like opening an old wound. Korra existed because Aang was dead, that fact couldn’t be easy for her. Senna was relieved that it was unlikely that she would live to see the next Avatar. She had no idea how to feel about that person...

“I don't even know how to feel about my own daughter right now…”

Senna arrived home and made her way into the kitchen to make some tea. Not long after she got the water on the stove and her tea leaves prepped Tonraq joined her.

“How did it go with Katara?” he said, taking a seat at the table.

“I saw Kya, actually. It was fine; she thinks I should find something to occupy my time.”

Tonraq scratched at his beard. “That would be good for you, you should get out of the house more. You want me to ask the council to see if there is anyone who could use an extra hand?”

“Sure...”

The kettle started to screech, calling Senna's attention. She went back to the stove and pulled it from the flames, then grabbed a second cup and brought all the supplies to the table.

Tonraq smiled and took the cup offered to him. “Thank you.”

Senna gave him a quick smile back and then her face turned neutral.

“There is something I have to tell you.”

The Water Tribe Chief shuffled in his chair nervously. “Okay.”

“That time, when Korra was missing? After you called to tell me, I went through her room looking for clues to figure out where she could have gone to.”

Tonraq relaxed a bit in his chair, relieved it wasn't the kind of confession he anticipated.

“I found a box under her bed and it was full of letters from her friend Asami...”

Senna looked down at her tea. She swirled her spoon around a few times mixing up the liquid. “I read them.”

“Okay,” was all Tonraq could think to say.

“The longing in those letters is palpable, Tonraq. And Korra has them all tucked away in a secret box, away from her other letters. Then they sneak off on a 'vacation', just the two them!”

“What are you trying to say, Senna?”

“I think Korra might be ah… be with her friend Asami... In that way…”

“Oh...”

They both fell silent for a moment.

“Are you certain?”

“No.”

“Okay. I'm not really sure what to do with this information.”

Senna met her husband’s eyes. “Well, what do you think if it’s true?”

“Does it matter?” Tonraq slapped his large hands on the table with a thud. He pushed out of his chair and got up. “I'm going outside.”

Senna put her head in her hands and looked into her tea.

“Why did I say it to him?”

****

“What was Senna even talking about? Korra has had a boyfriend.” Tonraq thought as he heaved his twentieth snowball towards a nearby cluster of trees. It collided with tall pine, and burst into what looked like heavy snowfall. "So there were some letters, lots of people wrote to Korra saying they missed her during that time. So they took a vacation together, I took long hunting trips with Raake when we were young men. It doesn't mean she’s..."

Tonraq threw one more snowball and then sat down in the snow. The cold wind blew right through him. Piercing cold always helped him calm down, so he could clear his head. “So what if she is? People will say things behind her back. She'll just never be able to get married and probably never have children… So what?”

Warm tears started to trickle down his cold cheeks. “Korra, did we do something wrong?”

****

The door of Katara's home was knocked on for the second time that day. Kya had just finally ushered her mom back into bed. Another visitor was bound to undo all that effort. She opened the door and looked up at the large man behind it.

“Tonraq?”

“Kya, can I come in?”

“Sure,” Kya said stepping out of the way. “You know, you and your wife can come together if you like.”

Tonraq didn't respond as he plopped down in a seat. It creaked as his large frame settled. Kya joined him. She waited for him to speak, but he just sat there, eyes locked on the floor.

Katara sat up in bed when she heard two muffled voices in the living room again. ‘Who could it be now?’ she wondered. Katara started the movements to get out of bed, then remembered how much her daughter had just pestered her into getting back into it. Not feeling up for another argument Katara decided she’d get out of bed, but wouldn’t leave the room. She just wanted to know who had come over, then she’d get back into bed, and Kya wouldn’t be the wiser. Two shaky feet touched the floor and she was on her way to the door. She heard the guest’s voice again and recognized it as Tonraq’s. She hadn’t seen Korra’s parents in weeks and now they both came to the house in the same day? She couldn’t help but be curious. Katara opened the door just a crack so she could hear what they were talking about.

Kya relaxed into her seat. “So Tonraq, what can I do for you?”

Tonraq continued to sit in silence. Kya shifted in her seat a few times, starting to feel uncomfortable in the Chief’s silent presence

“She's that way, isn't she...?”

Kya blinked a few times. “Who is what way? Is this about Senna going through her change? It's really not a big deal-”

“Korra. Is Korra a..?”

“What are you..?”

Tonraq looked up from the floor and Kya noticed the redness around his eyes.

“Is this about what my brother said the other day? He was just mouthing off, you two shouldn't…”

“Senna is convinced, she won't admit it, but I can tell she is. I can't ignore a mother’s intuition. My mother was right about everything I was up to!”

Kya put a hand on her chin and thought for a moment. “Alright, so maybe your daughter is romantically involved with another girl. Let’s just say for the sake of this discussion she is. How do you feel about that?”

Tonraq lifted and then slumped his shoulders a few times. “How should I feel?”

“No one can tell you how to feel Tonraq, but I'm sure you're feeling some external pressures about how to feel about it, if it is true.”

“Honestly, it doesn't bother me. I’ve never understood the fear that people have towards it. Growing up in the North there was a couple that everyone knew was that way. The kids would joke about them and the adults would scoff. But they didn’t seem to let it get them down; they just kept living their lives. The bender of the two would join any fight to defend our village. He was brilliant with ice.  I fought alongside him once, as a young man. In battle, he got sliced up pretty good by some stray shards. When it was over I helped him back to his… husband I guess would be the correct way to describe him.” Tonraq closed his eyes, taking himself back to that time.

“I saw the looks my peers gave me before I went into their home. I felt hesitation, but this man was hurt and he was hurt protecting our people. It was just like any other home; they were just like any other couple. I stood in the doorway watching his husband gently care for him, cursing him out for being foolish. When I left, there were a few people still outside, curious about what I had done. They all stared at me, as if in disbelief that I came out of that house unharmed. All those eyes, looking at me, questioning me, judging me, I couldn’t take it. The next day, the bender’s husband saw me in the square and came over to thank me. I could feel all the eyes on me again, I’m not proud of this, but I accepted the thanks and then quickly brushed him off. Despite my personal feeling that there was nothing wrong with them, the overwhelming public opinion was what forced me to treat them like everyone else did. I’m sure I wasn’t the only one who wasn’t bothered by their life together, but they too were beaten into submission to at least ostracize them…” Tonraq rose from his seat and started walking around the sitting room. He did a few laps around the room before speaking again.

“That Asami Sato, she's quite the catch. They seem to have known each other for a few years, so it can't be just a whim.” The Chief paused his pacing to scratch his beard. “My wife found some letters Asami wrote to Korra, that’s what prompted this idea of hers. She said they were very passionate. It sounds like this girl really cares about my daughter. Who wouldn't want that for their child?”

Kya nodded as she listened. “I feel like there is a ‘but’.”

Tonraq looked over at the healer and extended a hand in her direction. “Right, these are all great things I can't find any fault with, but this isn't some little secret we can hide, I'm Chief and she's the fricken Avatar! My daughter already has a huge target drawn on her back and then add a controversial love life to that mix! I'd be worried about her stepping outside! I'm sure that's what got Senna all in a twist about this…”

“I wish we had another child...”

Tonraq stared across the room. His eyes locked on a large tapestry on the wall.

“Senna told me today that she wished she had had another child.”

“Were you surprised?” Kya asked.

“A little, I remember she wanted to when Korra was young, but then we all agreed it was best if we didn't. I thought she was okay with that decision, but apparently she’s been harboring this resentment ever since. Now we're too old to have another child. She cried about never having a wedding or grandchildren. This was before she told me about what she thought about Korra, now I know where that was all coming from...”

“You know, opinions on homosexuality are changing, especially in Republic City. And you're Chief, so yes you are in the public eye, but so is how you react to your daughter. Lead by example, many will react based on how you do. Also, just because someone’s in a queer relationship, it doesn’t mean they can’t make a commitment to their partner or have children.”

Kya waits as what she says sinks in. She can see the wheels in Tonraq’s mind spinning.

“So what are you going to do?” Kya asks.

“If it's true, I will stand by my daughter.”

Tonraq took his eyes away from the tapestry he was so intensely staring at and noticed a small figure standing in a doorway. He immediately recognized it was Katara, all bundled up in blankets. Her old eyes were shining with tears that hadn’t fallen. A small smile creased the corners of her mouth.

“Katara…” Tonraq whispered.

They walked toward each other. Katara was dwarfed by Tonraq’s size, craning her neck to look into his blue eyes. Tonraq crouched down and embraced her.

“You don’t know how happy it makes me hearing you say that Tonraq,” the old woman said, rubbing a small area on his back.

“You knew about Korra?”

Katara pulled herself from the Chief’s embrace. “Take a seat. I need to go get something.”

Tonraq obeyed and sat down across from Kya again. She cocked an eyebrow to silently ask what was going on. Tonraq shrugged, just as confused. Katara eventually shuffled into the room with a few small books. She took a seat on the couch next to Tonraq.

“I didn’t completely know about Korra’s preferences, but I knew there was a high chance that she would like the company of both men and women. You see, this is very common for the Avatar.”

“She has had a boyfriend before, and now she might have a girlfriend,” Tonraq said more to himself than the small woman next to him.

“Aang was the way as well…” Katara said, flipping open one of the small books.

Kya shot up in her seat. “Mom?”

Katara looked over at her daughter. “I’m sorry to tell you this way Kya dear, but it’s true.”

“You don’t have to apologize; it’s not something you generally discuss with your children… I’m just… A little surprised. Are you… Bisexual as well Mom?”

“Bisexual?” Tonraq asked aloud.

“It’s the term used for people who like both men and women,” Katara explained. "And no, I am not.”

Kya nodded. “Okay, so just Dad. So… Um… But you guys got together like when you were children…”

“Yes, your father loved me right away. It took some time for me to love him back. It was maybe ten years after the Hundred Year War that he spoke to me about feelings he had… For Zuko…”

Again Kya flinched from her chair. “Uncle Zuko?”

“Yes.”

Tonraq looked between the mother and daughter. He was starting to feel like maybe he shouldn’t be here for this conversation. Katara sensed his discomfort and patted his leg.

“Don’t worry Tonraq, your daughter shares a spirit with my husband, that makes you family in my book. I’m telling this to you for a reason. To help you better understand your daughter as the Avatar. Now if my daughter will stop interrupting me?”

“Sorry Mom, just a lot of shockers in one day. I’ll be quiet.”

“So Aang confessed to me, not long into our marriage that he had an attraction to Zuko. He felt very guilty for the extra-marital feelings. I was pretty upset as well. Upset that he desired someone other than me, his wife, and maybe even more so because it was a man. I didn’t understand same-sex attraction very well; it was practically unheard of in the Southern Water Tribe. I believe because at that time, we were a dying nation, children were so few that entering a relationship that would not produce them was seen as a crime.

We encountered it a few times on the road, but I never gave it much thought, the world was at war. So I knew about people who liked the same sex, but never heard of people who liked both. How could you like both? The concept was even more puzzling than liking your own sex.”

Katara absently thumbed through the pages of one of the books as she spoke

“After that confession we didn’t talk about it for quite some time. Aang swore he would never betray my trust; he just needed to be honest with me. I appreciated that, but I needed time to process what that meant, and I think he still needed to process that as well. He was gone for a while; on a quest on his own to better understand his feelings, away from me, away from Zuko.

“Zuko was unaware of the situation; he visited a few times during Aang’s absence. It was hard seeing him at first, I was insanely jealous of him, I felt like I had gone back in time, back to when I was worried about him killing Aang. This time I was worried about him taking Aang away from me in another manner. But that went away and I could see Zuko again for who he was and that was one of the dearest and closest friends I had, that Aang had.

“During one of those visits, Aang returned and shared his discovery with us. He had spent most of his time meditating and speaking with the Avatars of the past, about love. He discovered that the Avatar has been in all romantic situations imaginable. The Avatar Spirit knows no gender and this fact is often true for the Avatar host.

“Zuko, who did not know the reason why Aang went to figure this out, was a bit shocked and confused by the discovery. It was at that moment that I spoke up, and told Zuko of Aang’s attraction to him. Aang was a little shocked at first that I revealed his secret, but I wanted him to know that during his time away, I had come to terms with it.”

The three sat in silence for a few moments.

“So are you telling me that you, Dad, and Uncle Zuko had a three-way relationship or something?”

Katara smiled. “A husband and wife are entitled to a few secrets.”

“So… that’s a yes?” Kya pressed.

“Tonraq, I want you to take these books. These were the journals Aang wrote while he was away on that trip, speaking with the other Avatars. I think they will be helpful to you and your wife. I would also like you to give them to Korra, when you are ready. She has the right to know about her past, especially since she can no longer seek out the answers herself.”

Tonraq accepted the books. “Thank you Katara, I understand how personal this all is.”

Katara patted his arm playfully. “As I said, you’re family.”

The Chief rose from his spot, books in hand. “I should go, I left my wife in a bit of an angry state. I want to go home and make sure she is okay.”

“Send her our way if she has any questions.”

“I will. Thank you again,” Tonraq said with a slight bow.

The door shut with a thud. Kya turned to her mother. “You’re not going to tell me, are you?”

“Nope,” Katara said with a smile. “Help me back into bed?”

“Yes, Mom.”

****

Bolin swung open the door to his apartment. “Hey, Mako-oh… yeah he's gone...”

He closed the door behind him with less enthusiasm. Mako had likely arrived in Ba Sing Se by now. Bolin wasn't sure if he should expect some kind of confirmation from his brother or not.

Bolin began striping down to change his clothes from his long day-moving rubble. Clearing away Republic City's wreckage all day, and then coming home to an empty apartment; it was like he was falling back into his old life again, before Kuvira.

Kuvira… What a fool he had been for her. He had chosen to stand by her over his own friends and family. At the time he genuinely felt he was doing something right, even now he knew the things he participated in were good things. Bringing food and protection to those ransacked towns… He was face to face with the people who lived there, he could see the hope and relief he was bringing to the innocent citizens.

He allowed himself to turn a blind eye to the darker undercurrents because of those people. Politics were always kind of messy, and that aspect of the work was above his pay grade anyway. That, and for the first time in a long time, he had felt appreciated, like he had worth. He had felt like he did when he was working alongside Korra. What he did had mattered, and he had been able to see the effects of his efforts.

Bolin finished changing. He was determined to not let himself get into that rut though. Fortunately, he had dinner plans tonight with the Beifong family, so he was not going to spend the evening alone.

He met up with the Beifongs in a low-lit restaurant near the edge of downtown. The family all looked up and smiled when he arrived at their table.

“Bolin!” Opal chirped as she got up to give him a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

“Opal, Beifong family.”

Opal unwrapped her arms and guided Bolin to the seat next to hers.

“Day one of deliberations is over,” Suyin said to the table, raising her cup slightly before bringing it to her lips.

Bolin noted that the matriarch seemed to be in higher spirits since the last time he saw her.

“How did the last day of the trial go?”  Bolin asked the group.

“Very well; I think Korra and Asami's testimonies really helped his case,” Suyin quickly answered.

Opal turned to her boyfriend. “That reminds me, Bolin, I think we'll have to wait a while before we can go on that double date with them. It would look pretty bad if after what Asami said she was caught eating dinner with Korra.”

“Oh, what did she say?”

“She just made sure to put a lot of distance between herself and Team Avatar, so her opinion on my brother seemed unbiased.”

Bolin shrugged. “Well that's okay; we can go out in a month or so. If anyone asks, Asami could always say sparks flew in the courthouse and they started dating afterward.”

Opal giggled and put a hand to her forehead as if she was swooning. “The Avatar's bulging muscles and thrilling testimony lit a fire in my heart!”

“I'm convinced,” Bolin said with a hand over his heart.

Suyin looked between her daughter and boyfriend. “Are you two saying..?”

Bolin perked up in his seat. “Oh! Uh, yeah, Korra and Asami are dating now.”

Suyin turned to her Opal. “You said you didn't know.”

“Sorry Mom, they just told us that night when they got back from the Spirit World.”

Suyin shot a glance over at Wei. “Well, that is interesting.”

“Don't say anything to anyone about it! As I said, we need to be on the hush-hush about it for Baatar Jr.'s sake and I don't think they're ready to have their private lives broadcast all over the city yet.”

Suyin put her hands up defensively. “I wasn't going to. Though whether they want to keep it a secret or not, it’s going be hard to given that they are two very public figures.”

“I'm sure they don't want to live in hiding forever. As I said, we need them to keep it discreet for Bataar Jr. right now. Then they can face the public scrutiny all they want,” Opal said with a huff.

“I'm just so happy for them…” Bolin said as he picked up a menu. There were no prices listed next to the items. ‘That's never a good sign,’ he thought to himself.

Baatar Sr. noticed the nervous look that appeared on Bolin's face when he opened the menu. “Don't worry son, dinner is on us tonight.”

Bolin looked over to his girlfriend's father, feeling his heart swell. It was the first time the man had ever said anything to him besides ‘hello’, and he called him by a term of endearment.

“Have you heard from your brother? Did he make it to Ba Sing Se?” Suyin asked.

Opal turned to him and put a hand on his thigh under the table. “Yeah, any word?”

“No, not yet, I'm sure I will hear from him tomorrow.”

A waiter appeared and the table’s conversation stopped.

***

After dinner, Bolin and Opal were walking back to his apartment, once again through Avatar Korra Park.

“So you really haven't heard from Mako?” Opal said sliding her arm around Bolin's.

“No...I'm sure he'll call once he's all settled in.”

“He left because of Korra and Asami, right?”

Bolin thought for a moment before answering. “Yeah...”

“I can't imagine that would be easy news to take. Well, maybe just weird news at this point, if you never saw it coming. Though I dunno, thinking about it now, there was always something about Asami. Maybe it was her intensity about Korra…

There was this one time I was flying around the city in my wingsuit, and I coulda sworn I saw Asami walking arm in arm with another woman, over near the bar district by the Harmony Tower. It was near dusk, so I was never a hundred percent on it.”

“Mako told me he realized he was still in love with Korra.”

Opal stopped, causing Bolin to jerk back with her.

“Eep, that's a problem. Makes more sense as to why he left.”

“Yeah…”

The pair started walking again.

“I’m torn. I'm so happy for Korra and Asami, but I feel so bad for my brother.”

“I know how that feels. In a way, Mako's done you a big favor by eliminating that conflict. He's left to deal with his feelings and get over it, so you don't have to worry about being happy for them. He'll come back when he's ready and it will all be fine.”

“You're a lot more optimistic since the last time we were here together.”

Opal smiled. “Well, at this point it’s all I can be. The trial is over, I think both sides made some good points and I think the right kind of justice will be served. Once it is, my family can start healing.”

“Your mother did seem better tonight.”

“Korra testifying made all the difference to her. She didn’t say much tonight, but it’s all she has been talking about.”

“I didn’t realize Suyin was such a big fan,” Bolin said rubbing his chin.

“She would adopt Korra if she could. She’s got, like, a 'mom crush' on her. Fortunately, Korra’s too old to be adopted, because I’d hate to live in that shadow.”

“Actually, I did hear if you live in the Fire Nation, you can do adult adoptions,” Bolin quipped.

“What?”

“Yeah, I guess rich families do it when they don’t have any sons to inherit their wealth or business. They often adopt one of their younger employees or financial advisors.”

“Do not tell my mom this. She’ll start campaigning for it in Zaofu and it will be legal before I could even blink. I could see that being really big back home, it’s a very wealthy state.”

Bolin laughed then pinky promised he’d never even mention the Fire Nation in her mother’s presence. After the pinky shake the couple walked in silence for a while, each looking around the park on their respective sides.

“Bolin, I’m sorry I snapped at you last time we were here… I was just frustrated, you didn’t do anything wrong.”

“It’s okay, I’m glad you’re okay now.”

“I think that’s just what I need to do when I’m upset, so if I ever do that again, know it’s never about you. If it is about you, I’ll at least tell you, but I’ll still need to go off on my own for a bit.”

Bolin nodded. “That’s fine, thanks for letting me know. I knew I hadn’t really done anything, I just hate when I can’t help the people I care about, you know?”

Opal squeezed his arm tighter as he spoke.

“I’ve felt useless often these past years, when Korra was sick, and there was nothing I could do to help. I couldn’t even help keep the group together, Asami and Mako just shut down. Mako’s hurting now and you and your family… I hate to admit this to you, but the only time I felt useful was when I was working for Kuvira. I was able to help people and it felt good. I felt like I was a part of something again, and what I was doing made a difference. I know now it was to mask the evil lurking behind Kuvira’s ultimate goal, but the good we did was real.

Opal stopped Bolin and turned to face him. “I know that, and I’m sorry I never told you that I knew. I was just so blinded by my hate for Kuvira, that I couldn’t see anything else.”

She let her hand run down the side of her boyfriend’s face. His eyes softened at the touch. “You’re such a good person Bolin, it’s one of the things I love most about you. I believe you’ll find a way to put your big heart toward some real good again.”

Bolin leaned in and pressed his lips to Opal’s. He wrapped his thick arms and her smaller frame and pulled her close. As they kissed the only sound that could be heard was the spirits of Avatar Korra Park chirping their night tunes.

To be continued…

 

Chapter 11: Conversations

Notes:

Shout out to ToasterMarketingBoard for your wonderful editing!

Chapter Text

 

Asami's was room was dimly lit by a few candles on her two bedside tables. The only noises Korra heard were the soft panting sounds. She looked down to the woman below her and was startled to see dark skin like her own. Korra flinched and looked farther up to see the hooded eyes of a woman similar looking to her, but different. The eyes that looked at her with such longing were so familiar...

“Katara?” she called out.

The woman smiled and wrapped her arms around Korra's neck.

“Aang...”

Korra feverishly blinked until it was milky pale skin that lay below. She sighed with relief and moved her hand to the dark patch of hair at her partner’s core. Upon entering, she heard a throaty moan, from a voice she did not recognize. Again the Avatar looked up to identify her lover, but it was a woman she did not know.

“Roku, don't stop.”

Korra's eyes fluttered open. She looked around the familiar walls of her Air Temple room and sighed with relief.

"That was a weird dream… Katara, then some other woman who called me Roku... Roku...? Avatar Roku! I had a sex dream about my past lives, past wives!"

Korra nestled her head back into the thick nest of black hair beside her and gave the body in her arms a squeeze. ‘A thousand lives worth of sexual experience and I can't tap into any of it...’ Korra let her hand around Asami's middle stray lower. Her stomach clenched at the contact. She felt the full curvature of the older girl's hips. Korra had never touched another woman's hips; they felt different than hers, softer with more dips. It was nice. She let her hand slide under the fabric of Asami's night clothes and ran her hand over again. The Water Tribe girl's heart started to race at the feel of Asami's bare skin.

"I do want you… I hope you know that...’"Korra dared a squeeze of the soft fleshy mound over her hip bone. "I'm scared… Scared I won't be the kind of lover you want …"

The Avatar thought back to her experiences with Mako. They had fooled around a bit, but like the rest of their time dating, it ended with some kind of an argument. Mako wanted to go further, but she wasn't sure about it. They both didn't always like the way they touched each other. It was a mess, especially since they really did like each other. They just bumped heads, no matter what they were doing.

Korra felt a pang of guilt. At this point, she was completely over what didn't work between them and felt closer to Mako because of it. She thought Mako had felt the same way, but apparently, she was unaware of the obvious, like she was of so many things, it seemed… ‘Ugh, this is what Asami was talking about. I can’t keep going over the past. I need to start looking toward the future. She said I should take all the time I need… And what I need to do is slow down, and take my time, with everything.’

Suddenly her room door slid open with a loud whoosh. “Korra, Asami, you need to get up!”

Korra jumped from her spot, and Asami lifted her head from the pillow. Both girls looked at the wide-eyed Pema in the doorway.

“Come on, the jury is back from deliberations, they’re going to announce Baatar Jr.’s sentencing this morning!” Pema said, making an upward gesture with her hands. “I’ll circle back for you in five minutes, we’re all going together.”

Asami sleepily turned to Korra. “I think that’s all you, Babe. I better stay here… I’ve got to keep a low profile...” Asami murmured as she let her head fall back onto the pillow.

Korra had already left the bed to start getting ready. She frowned at her girlfriend, and then cocked her head in confusion. “Babe ?”

Asami just smiled and shut her eyes.

The Avatar muttered as she walked around the room, gathering up the day clothes she had carelessly tossed aside before bed. Once she was dressed she turned back to the bed. Asami appeared to have truly fallen back to sleep. Korra smiled and gave her a quick peck on the cheek before leaving to find Pema.

***

When the Air Temple Island group arrived, the Beifongs were already seated in the front row of the courthouse. The defendant’s side was fairly empty, and on the other half of the courthouse, it was mostly government officials and the press; not nearly the same turnout as for the trial itself. The group hurried to their seats and took up most of the next two rows behind the family.

The judge hit his gavel a few times to quiet the remaining side conversations. “Please let the jury in,” he called out.

The twelve selected jury members quietly entered the room. The last one in passed an envelope to the judge before taking her seat. Time seemed to slow down as the judge fiddled with the envelope, carefully breaking the wax seal.

Finally, he read the jury’s statement. “We the selected jury have decided the maximum suggested sentence of twenty years imprisonment in the facility of the Earth Kingdom’s and United Republic’s choosing to be a sufficient punishment for the defendant’s crimes.”

The room remained silent, all eyes shifting to the Beifong family. Suyin clutched one hand to her heart and the other to her husband next to her. The audience was unsure what kind of reaction it was, until she barely audibly murmured, “Oh thank goodness.”

Korra looked to Jinora, Tenzin, and Pema, who sat to her left. They didn't need to speak to convey the relief they felt.

The judge turned his attention to Baatar Jr. and gestured toward him with his gavel. “Do you have anything you wish to say before you serve your sentence?”

The convicted engineer looked to his lawyer as if to get the confirmation it was okay to speak. The slightly built man nodded and Baatar Jr. rose from his seat, still shackled.

“I uh…” The engineer's voice was hoarse and he audibly cleared his throat. Korra realized this was the first time she had heard him speak since she captured him.

Korra couldn't help but wonder now, did he know what she knew about Kuvira? He never took the witness stand, to confirm or deny her theory about him being a 'fool in love.' No, she quickly dismissed the thought. He couldn't have known, because when she threatened to keep him away from her forever, the expression he made was that of sheer terror. He really did love her.

'What does he think of her now...' the Avatar wondered. She was the one who brought up the notion that he was acting mostly out of his love for Kuvira. Had Baatar Jr. come to a similar conclusion on his own, or was her testimony just more salt in his wounds. She took comfort that it resulted in his life being spared, but looking back at what she said; it was probably a bit embarrassing for him.

The judge cleared his throat, getting impatient. “Do you have anything you wish to say, Baatar Beifong Jr.?”

“I want to sincerely apologize for what I have done... Despite all that has been said in my defense, there is no justified excuse… Thank you for the second chance you are giving me, I will not let it be a decision you regret.” And with that he sat down.

“The United Republic of Nations and the Earth Kingdom will decide where they wish to have you serve your time and you will be moved to that location in the morning. Court is adjourned” the judge said, with one last bang of his gavel.

***

That night the Air Temple hosted a celebratory dinner. Though it was only a little over three weeks ago since most of the attendees had been together for Varrick and Zhu Li's wedding, for many it felt like the first occasion in a long time when they could truly relax, especially the Beifongs. Lin even allowed herself one glass of rice wine to celebrate and then accepted a second generous pour from Bolin. He was making his way around the large wooden table ensuring everyone had a fresh glass, per Suyin's orders. Bolin stopped his rounds when he felt a slight tug on the back of his shirt. He turned around to see a grinning Meelo with an outstretched cup. Bolin looked around to see if anyone was paying attention before pouring a splash of wine into the young airbender's cup. Meelo eagerly inspected the contents, and then his shoulders slumped.

“That's it?”

“Take it or leave it, kid,” Bolin said with a grin.

Meelo brought the cup closer to his body, out of fear that Bolin would grab it back.

“I'm good,” Meelo said as he started to back away, and with a gust of air, he was gone.

“A thank you woulda been nice,” Bolin called out in the direction the young boy left in.

Suyin stood from her seat at the table and started to clink her spoon on the side of her glass. “Firstly I wanted to thank everyone for being here, and Master Tenzin and Pema for hosting our little get-together tonight. My family could not have gotten through this time without everyone's support. I wish to apologize on my son's behalf, to all of you, because all of you have been affected in some way by his foolish actions. I also want to ask you for your continued support in rehabilitating Baatar Jr. My goal is to find a way for him to give back to the people of the Earth Kingdom and Republic City during his time in jail. I would love to hear any suggestions people have. Now please drink up the wine, I bought a lot of bottles and I am not taking any back to Zaofu.”

Suyin raised her glass and then took a hearty swig. The rest of the table followed her lead in raising their glasses and taking a drink. Ikki looked over at Jinora and pouted.

“Wish we had some wine.”

“I do,” Jinora said offhandedly, taking another sip from her glass.

Ikki's face contorted with disbelief. “What, how?”

“Dad let me have some.”

“No fair, why?” Ikki said, looking at her own glass as if she could find some answers in the bottom of it.

“Because I'm practically an adult. Besides, it was barely even half a glass.”

The younger sister stood up from her seat. “I'm going to go sit next to Asami.”

“She's not going to give you any,” Jinora called out.

“I don't care about the wine, she's my friend and I want to sit next to her. Hmph!”

Ikki made her way over to where Korra, Asami, Bolin, and Opal were sitting. She made herself comfortable right on the corner of the table between Asami and Bolin. Korra and Bolin, both with beet-red faces, looked away from the young Airbender.

“Hi, guys, whatcha talking about?”

Opal, who was trying to contain a giggle, attempted to answer. “We were just...” she paused to gain her composure, “...picking on Korra here about something she didn't know but should have known. And it turns out my boyfriend didn't know either and now he is in big trouble.”

“At least Korra has an excuse,” Asami added, flipping her hair.

Ikki looked between their faces to try and glean some understanding about what they were talking about, but she was totally lost. “What didn't they know?”

Opal almost spits out her drink, egged on by Ikki's innocent question. She folded her arms on the table and ducked her head down, lost in laughter.

Ikki looked up at Asami, pleading to be included in the joke.

“C’mon, let's go for a walk,” the older girl suggested, rising from her seat.

Ikki took the hand offered to her and followed. “Okay.”

Opal looked over to Korra and quirked an eyebrow. “Looks like you've got a little competition there.”

The Avatar was about to take a drink from her glass but jerked it away from her lips at Opal's statement. “What?”

“I think Ikki’s got eyes for your girl, she just walked out of here hand in hand with her, right in front of you.”

Korra rolled her eyes. “Very funny.”

Opal shrugged at Korra’s response. “Don’t say I didn’t warn you, Avatar.”

“That’d be something to see,” Bolin said to no one in particular as he took a sip from his own glass. “Little Ikki, mackin’ on Asami.”

“It just happened,” Opal said, grinning. “Playing young and naive is the way to Asami’s heart, it seems.”

Korra sat onto her knees to gain higher ground at the table. “And the way to yours as well Opal, eh Bolin?”

“Huh?”

The girls laughed at Bolin’s confused response.  

A little while later Jinora came over and joined the three. She took the empty space next to Korra, who had her arms resting on the table to hold her up, and a rosy glow on her cheeks from drinking.

“Hey Korra, I was wondering if you’ve thought at all about what you want to do for Kuvira’s trial?”

Korra slumped forward on her arms until her chin was resting on the table. “Jinora, can’t we talk about work tomorrow? This is supposed to be a celebration tonight.”

Jinora gave the Avatar a stern look. “We should be making our move to go see her again tomorrow if you plan on supporting her.”

“You’re really interested in working on this with me, huh?” Korra asked.

The Airbender took a deep breath. “Yes.”

Opal and Bolin stopped having their side conversation and took notice of the interaction between Korra and Jinora.

The Avatar blinked a few times before hoisting herself back to her upright resting position, still leaning on the table. “Alright, that’s fine.”

“And after this, I would like to continue to work with you. As future head of the Air Nation, it will be my duty to aid and teach the Avatar. I have much to learn, and I want to learn with you, Korra. And... I think I have a lot I can offer to you too.”

Korra pulled herself up from leaning on the table, realizing Jinora was being very serious right now. She took a moment to really look at the young woman in front of her. The girl had always been wise beyond her years; sometimes Korra wondered if she had lived a few different lives before being born as Jinora. She certainly acted like she was the one with knowledge from past lives.

‘She is going to teach my next life…’ That thought felt weird to have, but of course, it would be her mentoring the next Avatar. She couldn’t imagine anyone else being better for that role.

‘You are the ones who will shape the world next...’

‘Tenzin is right... Plus, with Mako gone, there is an opening in Team Avatar,’ Korra thought, smiling to herself. She extended her hand out to Jinora. “I would like that very much, Master Jinora.”

Jinora grabbed the hand with both of hers and squeezed it tight. “Thank you, Avatar Korra.”

“So what are you two ‘officials’ working on together?” Opal interjected.

“We are considering speaking in Kuvira’s defense at her trial.”

Korra’s eyes widened as she heard Jinora swiftly answer Opal’s question.

“What? You’re going to defend her, Korra? After everything, she’s done?”

The Avatar panicked, looking between her three table-mates while she figured out a good answer to the question. She had forgotten how sensitive a subject Kuvira was with Opal. There was no use in hiding her intentions though, because she would eventually hear about it anyways.

“Yes, but only to attempt to spare her life. She should spend the rest of her days locked away. But... I don’t think it’s right to sentence her to death.”

Opal stared at Korra for a few moments, scrunching and un-scrunching her eyebrows.

“The death sentence is unprecedented in the United Republic’s history. We do not know what the ramifications will be if we start executing our criminals. As a member of the Air Nation, it is our belief that no one holds the right to take another’s life. No matter what,” Jinora added.

Bolin leaned forward, resting his elbows on the table. “I agree. Maybe you could like, offer to take away her bending, in exchange for her life?”

Korra flinched at his suggestion. She looked to Opal, who seemed to still be sorting out her feelings on the subject. She was staring at the table now, her expression impossible to read.

“Yeah… I’m not sure I’m comfortable taking…” the Water Tribe girl started to mutter.

“If she’s locked up for life, it’s not like she’s ever going to bend again anyways,” Opal suddenly interrupted, her eyes still to the table. “It would also eliminate the need for elaborate security on her. Besides her life, it’s the only other thing left that she values.”

“I need to; I’m going to talk to her, again.”

“Again?” Opal cut in.

“Jinora and I spoke with her the other day, but I got too emotional so we didn’t really get much resolved.”

“What was there to resolve?”

“Well, we, I, wanted to find out if she… Why she…” Korra fumbled, knowing her word choice was important. But she felt on the spot, and still a bit foggy from the few glasses of wine. Jinora realized Korra needed some help and butted in.

“We wanted to find out if she had any remorse for what she has done. Korra was still a bit sensitive about your brother, and the incident when she betrayed him. Her answers were difficult for Korra to hear.”

The mention of Opal’s brother softened her posture. She looked at the two girls across from her. They were not her enemy. Korra had a genuine concern for her louse of a brother… Just like she had concern for all people. As she should, because she was the Avatar. ‘She’s the Avatar…’

Opal bowed her head. She never forgot that Korra was the Avatar, but she often forgot what being the Avatar meant for her role in these situations, all situations. Korra didn’t have the luxury of being able to be quick to judge and cast aside those in her life she wanted nothing to do with.

‘Go into the Avatar State and demolish her entire army. Remove Kuvira from power once and for all.’ Opal heard her mother’s words to Korra echo in her head and then her own. ‘Just go into the Avatar State and get it over with!’

Korra did go into the Avatar State to defeat Kuvira, but not in the simplistic way she and her mother wanted. Kuvira was done; she couldn’t hurt anyone anymore… What side of history did she want to be on herself? Not the cruel side, not the vengeful side…

“I uh… I’d like to go with you guys if that is okay?” Bolin suddenly blurted out. The question was to Korra and Jinora, but he was looking at Opal.

She met his eyes and she thought back to the conversation they had last night.  He had found value in himself from the work he did. Having that tainted by Kuvira's deception had crushed him. She knew her boyfriend was searching for answers from that time. This would be a good opportunity for him to continue to do that.

Korra looked to Opal, raising her eyebrows slightly to ask her first if she thought it was okay. She looked back at the Avatar, her friend. Korra had never done wrong by her. Opal then looked back to her boyfriend, she knew now he too would stand by her no matter what. He wouldn’t go if she didn’t want him to, knowing that made her feel terrible for even considering saying no. Bolin was so free and giving with her, he wouldn’t consider his answer; he would just let her go.

“What if you came too, Opal? Maybe that would help you let what happened go too,” Jinora said gently, breaking her out of her trance-like thoughts.

Korra and Bolin both smiled at the suggestion. They were both so easy to read, like dogs, eager to please, eager to love.

“Maybe it will,” Opal replied, and then she finally smiled too.

***

The two young women walked through the temple grounds until they arrived at the gazebo. Ikki hopped up to sit on the railing, while Asami leaned on the next pillar over.

“So what were you guys talking about?”

The older girl chuckled as she remembered the conversation. “I’ll tell you when you’re a little bit older.”

Ikki leaned back in her seat, sticking her head out from under the roof. “Ugh! I am so sick of hearing that. My mom is always saying ‘when you’re older,' my dad is always saying ‘when you’re older,' even Jinora says that to me.”

“How old are you again?”

“I’ll be twelve in a few months,” Ikki said, puffing out her chest a bit with pride.

“Yeah, I’m sorry, but this is one of those things I really should wait until you’re older to tell you,” Asami said apologetically.

“Good evening ladies, may I join you?”

The young women turned their attention to Suyin standing at the entrance of the gazebo, glass in hand. They nodded, and Suyin took a spot next to Asami.

“Asami, I wanted to personally thank you for testifying on my son’s behalf. I was touched by your experience, and I appreciate your willingness to share that with a room full of strangers. You didn’t have to do that.”

“I did, for my father.”

Suyin nodded. “You helped save my son’s life, I will not forget that. What you said really stuck with me, the parallels between your father and my son, that’s what inspired me to have Jr. give back to the world while he is imprisoned. I want to waste as little of his life as possible.”

“How does he feel about your plans?”

“Jr. appears to be willing to do whatever it takes to get back into the family’s good graces.” Suyin adjusted her weight to her other leg. “Tell me, have you ever considered getting involved in activism? I believe we have another common thread.”

Asami quirked her eyebrow, unsure of what Suyin was implying.

“Opal told me about you and Korra, you two make a lovely couple,” the matriarch said, before taking a sip from her glass.

Ikki giggled, “I think so too!”

The older girl smiled at her younger companion before turning back to Suyin. “And where do you fit it?”

“My son Wei is a gay as well.”

The young airbender’s eyes widened at Suyin’s disclosure. She had so many questions but thought better of asking. If she ever wanted to stop hearing ‘when you’re older’ she needed to start acting as if she was.

“Korra’s actually bisexual, but I identify as gay.”

Ikki perked up in her seat again. These words, what did they mean? She looked between the two women to see if they were going to elaborate, but it was clear they each understood what the other was referring to.

“I see a lot of changes on the horizon for the Earth Kingdom territories and the United Republic, especially Republic City. It’s progressive like Zaofu but is even more diverse as it is a melting pot for all the nations. Seeing how there is going to be a lot of political turnover, I think it’s the perfect time to make my proposal to the people of Zaofu to allow for full marriage rights to its homosexual citizens, so all people’s marriages are equal in the eyes of the law.  I think the timing is right for Republic City to make their pitch as well. There is strength in numbers.”

“You want Korra and me to go public, and help lead the movement here? That’s a lot of pressure on a new relationship…” Asami paused for a moment. “With all that is going on, I have to keep reminding myself we’ve only technically been together a few days. I know Korra isn’t ready. Please don’t mention this to anyone, but Korra didn’t know anything about homosexuality until we discussed our feelings for each other.”

“Really?” Suyin asked, putting a hand over her heart. “Our Avatar is very endearing, isn’t she?”

Asami blushed. “She is… This is all very new to her and with Kuvira’s trial up next she’s got a lot on her mind. That being said, I am interested in working with you in some way. I will need to talk with the management of my company, and Korra, before I move forward on this.”

“Of course.”

“And I want to help too” the young Airbender blurted out.

“Ikki, I don’t know…”

Suyin smiled broadly. “Why not? Everyone has something they can offer, big or small.”

Ikki hopped down from her seat. “Yeah, why not? I want to get married someday too!”

“Yes… but…”

“Don’t say it!” Ikki said, stomping her foot for emphasis.

“It’s not a matter of being older… but when you’re young you don’t…”

Suyin nudged Asami. “What are you so worried about?”

Asami looked at Suyin and then at Ikki. She got down on one knee to be closer to the young girl’s height. “I don’t want to out you, Ikki. You’re only eleven, and your feelings could change.”

“You knew when you were young, remember?”

“I did, you’re right.”

“And you said it’s good being honest.”

“I did…” She bowed her head for a moment to take a deep breath. Her heart tightened at the thought of Ikki ever feeling the way she once did about her own sexuality.  “So I will be honest with you now. I admire the courage you have to be yourself; I didn’t have that when I was your age. I care about you and I want to protect you. Yes because you’re young, and because you’re young, I can. And when your mother and father and even Jinora say ‘when you are older,' they are saying that because there will be a time in your life where you may have to stand alone, and despite what we want, we won’t be able to help you. So you have to humor us now, because sometimes when we say that to you, we say it just as much for our own sake, as yours.”

“I plan on getting enough people involved that the sexuality of those involved will not be in question. No one needs to come out if they don’t want to,” Suyin said as she rested a hand on Asami’s shoulder.  She turned her head around to look up at the older woman. Asami tried to plead with her eyes for a little more support.

“I do agree with Asami, that maybe you should keep your own preferences to yourself for now, but I would love to have your help.”

“Thank you!” Ikki said, beaming. “I’ve already got some ideas like maybe I could make some posters? Huan really liked my painting in Zaofu. Is he going to help too?”  

“He is, you two can be the creative team.”

Asami got up from her kneeling at stood with the other two. “Ikki, you will still need to ask your parents’ permission to help out, okay?”

“Okaaay.”

***

The evening started coming to a close a bit before midnight. The Beifongs accepted the offer to crash at the temple for the night, saving the commute back to their hotel for the morning. Asami and Korra had excused themselves from the group and took a short walk around the main temple building. They were now sitting somewhere behind it, on a small porch area. Their conversation had resolved and a comfortable silence fell upon them.

Asami felt eyes on her and she looked over at Korra. Heat rose up her body from the intensity of her girlfriend’s gaze. Silently, Korra reached out a hand and gently held it to Asami's face. Then she leaned in and brushed her lips over the taller girl's with a feather-light touch. They hovered there for a painful minute, their warm breaths tickling the delicate skin of their lips. Finally, Korra closed the distance and used her free hand to pull Asami closer.

To be continued...

 

Chapter 12: The Great Uniter

Summary:

Korra, Jinora Opal and Bolin visit Kuvira.

Notes:

Thanks to ToasterMarketingBoard for editing this chapter!

Chapter Text

Korra and Jinora once again found themselves outside the last door before Kuvira's cell. This time, though, they had Bolin and Opal with them. Jinora was glad they had decided to join the visit. She sensed Opal had some unresolved feelings about Kuvira. As an airbender, it was in their teaching that you practice forgiveness, even to the worst of criminals. Jinora had discovered over the past three years of knowing Opal that she could hold a mean grudge. She had to remind herself that Opal had not been raised an airbender and, more importantly, she was a Beifong. It was strange to think about, but they could have been cousins if life had turned out a little differently.

The Air Master looked over at Korra. She could tell the Avatar was nervous, their last visit gotten surprisingly emotional for her. Jinora now knew it was important to make sure Korra kept her emotions in check. She was prepared to step in as soon as she saw any signs of Korra losing her cool.

Kuvira’s trial was set to start the following day, so this would be their last chance to talk to her. Jinora still wasn't sure what Korra was trying to get from this visit with Kuvira. They agreed that the death sentence was not fit for anyone and Jinora was comfortable publicly defending Kuvira on that fact alone. Korra had mentioned wanting a sign of remorse from the former dictator, but Jinora knew the kind Korra was searching for was not there. She doubted if Kuvira had ever experienced true remorse.

What Korra was looking for was the ready-to-be-rehabilitated Kuvira. That woman was perhaps five or ten years down the road from now. Whatever the case may be, Jinora was here to help ensure the Avatar got whatever it was she needed to move forward with the defense.

After being checked for metal one last time, they entered Kuvira's holding room. The guards filtered out and with a clank of the door they were alone with her.

“I didn't think I'd see you again, Avatar... And look, you brought the whole gang this time,” Kuvira said dryly. She was sitting on her bed, facing away like before, her eyes unenthusiastically locked on the wall across from her bed.

Korra stepped forward towards the bars. “May we speak with you again?”

“Do they also have questions about my love life?” 

“No, and I'm sorry about last time,” Korra replied curtly.

Kuvira turned towards the group. She appeared to be a bit surprised by Korra's apology.

"Alright, but I'd like to talk to you alone first, Avatar."

Korra turned to her companions and gave them a shrug.

Bolin and Opal headed towards the door, but Jinora hesitated. She gave Korra a look in an attempt to silently convey her concerns about the idea. Korra smiled and motioned to the door.

***

Jinora paced impatiently. Opal and Bolin had found a bench to sit on.

“Maybe it was a bad idea for us to tag along?” Bolin thought aloud.

***

Korra watched the door shut, it’s clang echoed in Kuvira’s sparse platinum chambers.  "Okay, we're alone."

Kuvira readjusted her position on the bed so she was facing Korra. "You sound so expectant; you came here to talk to me.”

"Why did you want them to leave?" Korra asked, walking up closer to the bars.  

"I want the truth of the situation from you first.”

"We are here because we don't want you executed. The reasons why might not be the same, but we're all here to help.”

“Is that so? And what is your reason?”

“My reason?” Korra started to pace back and forth along the wall of platinum bars. She had too much energy to just stand still.

“For wanting to help me, you could barely contain your contempt for me last time we spoke.”

“I know…” Korra started scratching the back of her neck. “The subject was a little sensitive for me, but I’m not here to talk about it.”

“You know Avatar, I was disappointed with you after that conversation… When I surrendered, I had a deep respect for you. Your strength and conviction had matched my own… And… I thought maybe you understood me. Then you show up and start chastising me about betraying Baatar of all things? You got a little boyfriend’s heart you’re afraid of breaking?”

Korra hesitated for a moment and then fully stopped her pacing. She was on the fence about disclosing any personal information to Kuvira. Part of her felt she should, since the dictator had been honest, brutally honest with her. The other part sensed that there was still a shadow of danger Kuvira could inflict on her, even through those bars. All Kuvira had left was words and information.

“Your betrayal of Baatar Jr., it was hard to watch. I felt some responsibility since I forced you both into that situation,” she finally answered, then resumed walking the length of Kuvira’s prison.

“Threatening to keep him away from me forever? I must say I was surprised by such a dark threat from you, Avatar. But I think that little incident shows why love is a foolish emotion to have for people in power. It’s too easy to sway someone's emotions, just look at yourself.”

Korra stopped and turned to Kuvira. Her fists clenched at her sides. “You’re wrong, love saved me. When I was injured, I thought pushing everyone away was the only way I could become strong again. It wasn’t until I let the people who loved me back into my life that I was able get the strength I needed to defeat you.”

Kuvira’s face reddened. “What can love do for me now? What could it have done then? ‘Okay sweetie, let’s call off the attack and go home. The United Republic will leave us alone if we leave them alone.’ It had to be all or nothing. It would only have been a matter of time before the rest of the world would try and interfere.” She grabbed fistfuls of the blanket on her cot and squeezed until her knuckles turned white. Her eyes burned from the unblinking contact she held with Korra. “My nation is broken; no one comes to its aid. My nation is being put back together with the sternness of a parent and then the rest of the world starts putting in their two yuans on how we should handle our business.”

“You had way more going on than just putting your nation back together and you know it. You took your ideals too far, so the world needed to put you back in balance, I needed to put you back in balance.” Korra kept her hands forcefully at her side, puffing out her chest and shoulders. She felt the surge of energy through her body that usually came right before she went into the Avatar State.

The both fell quiet and eventually broke eye contact.

During the shared silence Kuvira’s own gaze had moved to the tangle of hands and fabric in front of her. “You still haven’t told me why you want to help me.”

‘Why am I here?’ Korra pondered looking at the woman in front of her. She did know one reason though. “Well, in spite of everything you’ve done, no one deserves to be executed.”

“Spending the rest of my life in a dark room behind bars sounds just as miserable. I know they will not grant me any less than life. They want my life one way or the other. At least death is quick.”

Korra shifted on her feet. She didn’t want to bring up what she was about to say. Kuvira had a point though; if she was in her place, what would she prefer? “I bet we could get you a lesser sentence if we uh… If I took away your bending…”

Kuvira looked at the Avatar for a few moments. Her expression was hard to read, a mix of shock and deep thought. She was considering it, Korra could tell that much.

“Life in prison where I will never get the chance to bend again, death, or a long time in prison then the rest of my days free, but unable to bend.” Kuvira bowed her head down and shook it. “The thanks I get for rebuilding my nation...”

“I know it’s not ideal, but you need to pay for what you’ve done. You rebuilt your nation, and then destroyed it. A monarchy or a dictator, it’s the same thing. Now it's going to build itself back up, the right way this time. You did inspire them, by showing the people what they don’t want. Prince Wu is going to disband the monarchy, and allow the states to function like the United Republic.”

“A fool's errand, the Earth Kingdom is too big to function that way.”

“I think you’ve given up your right to comment on what is right for the Earth Kingdom."

“Korra if you hate me this much just let them kill me and be done with it. Or are you too scared of losing some public favor?” Kuvira said, throwing her hands up. She got off her cot and walked towards the bars.

As Korra saw the dictator approaching and her first impulse was to take a few steps back, but she forced herself to hold her ground.

“I don’t hate you and defending you will probably cost me some public favor.”

Kuvira reached the bars and grabbed one with each hand. “Then why are you trying to help me? I know it’s not just the hippy dippy Airbender crap.”

“Because I thought you understood me too. I know how you feel, and having gone through it, I want to help you move past it too. Because you can get better, but you have to let people in.”

Korra waited to see if Kuvira had anything to say in response.

“I can call this all off, and let them execute you if that's what you really want, but I don’t think that it is.” The Avatar turned to the door and slammed it shut behind her.

***

Korra opened the door from Kuvira’s cell and everyone looked up. Her brows were furrowed but she had a smile on her face.

“Okay Bolin and Opal, I think she’s ready for you.”

The couple got up from their seats and headed towards Korra.

“Bang on the door if you need backup, I’m gonna hang out here for a bit with Jinora.”

They looked back once before shutting the door behind them. Once they were gone Jinora rushed towards Korra.

“So what happened in there? Why did she want to talk you alone? Have you made your decision?”

Korra put her hands up. “Whoa, one at a time.”

***

Kuvira was still seated on her bed again, with her back to the bars when Bolin and Opal entered the room. Opal started to wonder if Korra was being sarcastic when she said ‘she’s ready for you.’

What the hell was she thinking anyways, coming to talk to Kuvira. Clearly Kuvira was just as thrilled to talk to them as they were to her. Opal looked over at her boyfriend, but he had already stepped up to the bars.

“Hi Kuvira, it’s me Bolin. I wanted to let you know that I plan on supporting your defense against the death penalty. I don’t think it is something you deserve…”

He fidgeted in place as he waited for some kind of answer, but Kuvira remained silent. “I actually was thinking about you the other day. Thinking about the work we did together. You helped me out of a low point in my life when you let me join your cause. I had no job, my friends were scattered and I really didn’t feel like I had any value. When I was out there, delivering supplies to the ravaged towns, I saw the good we were doing. For the first time in a long time, I felt like I had some value. Like when I was fighting alongside Korra.

“I now know what else was going on and I’ll admit I feel a little used because the good we did masked what was really going on. I wish I had known, maybe I could have convinced you to change your plans. Probably not, I was pretty intimidated by you, still am a little. I don’t really know where I am going with all of this, I guess I just want to say I’m going to try to support you, and uh, thank you.”

Once Bolin finished he looked back to Opal and shrugged. Kuvira had not moved from her spot nor said a word. He started to head over to the door.

“Maybe we should just go?”

Opal felt heat rise to her face and she turned towards the bars. “Kuvira, we came here to talk with you, not at you. My dear boyfriend just thanked you, a gesture that is completely beyond me. You could at least have the decency to say something in return, because he is likely going to be the last person to ever thank you again. There is so much I wanted to say to you, I thought about it over and over last night, how I would calmly knock you down several pegs. But what’s the point? You’re defeated and chewing you out about what you did to my brother, my family, my home or my boyfriend… Isn’t going to make a difference and it isn’t worth it. I guess I should thank you too, thank you for making me realize I’m ready to let you and what you’ve done go. C’mon, let’s go.”

Opal reached the door first and started to make her way out. Bolin trailed behind her and then dared a glance back. He saw that Kuvira had finally moved a bit so she could see them leave.

“I’m sorry Bolin…”

Opal was out, but Bolin stopped when he heard his name and let the door slip from his hands.

“I’m sorry for betraying your trust… I used you because how genuine of a person you are… The people… They really responded to that.”

Bolin walked back over to the bars and grasped them. He peered into the cell where his former boss sat. An intimidating dictator, she was no more. She now looked more like the villagers they had saved together.

“Kuvira, are you sorry for what you’ve done?”

“That’s what everyone wants to know, isn’t it? That’s what will make everyone feel all warm and fuzzy about defending me.”

“I mean, pretty much,” Bolin said, scratching his chin with the back of his hand. “So… are you?”

Kuvira moved on her cot, so her feet were now on the floor. She rested her elbows on her thighs and leaned forward on them with clasped hands. “It’s complicated. You’re not the type of person with a deep sense of pride Bolin, and I am envious of that.”

“Sounds like you're at least sorry about some things.”

“Yes. I’m sorry I let myself get carried away; I’m sorry that I am no longer a part of the Earth Kingdom’s progress; I’m sorry my life is over when it should be really just beginning… But me being sorry for myself isn’t what they want to hear.”

“Yeah… Well, let’s think here for a minute...” Bolin started walking around the room. “It was never your intention to hurt anyone, right?”

“No, it just happened to be incidental,” the former dictator said dryly.

“Okay, okay, so are you sorry about those you hurt both physically and emotionally?”

Kuvira looked at the wall for a moment. Bolin made his way back over to the bars to get a better read of her face.

“All of us here today were hurt by you and we’re still willing to stick our necks out to defend you. You broke up Opal’s family, you nearly killed Jinora, your spirit energy engine thing nearly killed my brother and you actually killed Asami’s father…”

“Who’s Asami?”

“Asami Sato, owner of Future Industries, Korra’s girlfriend. Her Dad was in one of the hummingbird suits when you smashed it.”

“That Asami… I didn’t know a there was still someone in there… I also didn’t know the Avatar had a girlfriend…”

Bolin’s stomach tightened. “I probably shouldn’t have told you that... Please don’t say anything.”

“She’s here trying to defend me even though I killed her girlfriend's father…”

“Yeah, she is. I wouldn’t be here if you did that to anyone in Opal’s family,” Bolin said crossing his arms. “So are you sorry?”

“Is a ‘sorry’ you have to wrestle out of me what you really want?”

“It’s a start towards the real thing.”

“I am sorry.”

To be continued...

Chapter 13: Choices: Part One

Notes:

Thank you ToasterMarketingBoard for editing this chapter!

Chapter Text

Asami was in a meeting she could not concentrate on. Her mind was thinking back to last night with Korra, when they were behind the temple. It was different from the other times they had kissed. For the first time she felt a hunger from the Avatar. An urgency grew between them and hands began to fumble to uncharted places. When Korra’s lips came in contact with her neck, the moan she had been suppressing finally escaped and then Korra stopped. At first Asami was afraid her moan had startled Korra away, but then she too heard the voices.

“Ah-saaaam-eee! Kooooorr-aaaaah!”

It was Ikki and Jinora calling out for them. With the Beifongs spending the night, Korra and herself were going to bunk with the sisters.

The Avatar climbed up into a standing position on the porch and sucked in a deep breath. “We’ll meet you in your room in ten minutes!” She didn’t wait for a response before hopping back down beside her girlfriend.

Asami was about to verbalize her acceptance that they should go when Korra’s mouth returned to her neck. She let out a slight whimper as her eyes closed. Not long after she felt herself being lifted by Korra’s strong hands and moved onto her lap. She leaned herself back a bit so she could look at her girlfriend’s face. Her pale blue eyes reflected what little light there was, giving the illusion that they were glowing. It was one of those rare moments when she could almost see the other lifetimes behind those eyes.

It was hard to explain… but sometimes she just felt it… It was fascinating, looking into the eyes that were intrinsically Korra and then seeing someone, something else. During those times, there was almost a fuzziness around the edges, a deeper depth in the pupils. She could see a knowing, or a recognition she often saw in the eyes of older people.

Asami reached out both hands and toyed with a pinch of Korra’s dark brown hair on either side of her head. The action stirred the lopsided grin from her girlfriend that she loved so much. “Can we stay at my place tomorrow night?”

“I think that is a fine idea, what about you Miss Sato?”

The response from the deep and male voice startled Asami of out of her day dream. She flushed when she realized all of Future Industries’ board members were looking at her.

“Yes… that should be fine.” She prayed she wasn’t agreeing to something she was going to be asked about later.

“If that is it, then this meeting is adjourned.”

Asami mentally chastised herself, remembering that she was supposed to bring up her plans to work with Suyin in today’s meeting. She rose from her seat to catch the group’s attention before they left.

“I have one thing I’d like to discuss.” Asami glanced around the room. The board members readjusted themselves back into their seats. “Thank you, I know you’re all very busy right now.”

She made her way to the empty space at the head of the table. “Last night I was approached by Suyin Beifong of Zaofu, regarding a collaboration on campaigning for marriage equality both here in the United Republic and in the Earth Nation.”

A few members of the board looked to each other; it was clear they were not sure what she meant. One raised his hand. Mr. Sano was a man of average build, in his late fifties. He had worked for Asami’s father for quite some time. “Miss Sato, when you say marriage equality, what do you mean?”

“I mean the right for our citizens to marry, regardless of the two people’s sex.”

“Homosexual marriage?”

“Yes, I am going to personally get involved with this movement, and am hoping that I can also have Future Industries’ backing.”

Mr. Sano turned to the woman next to him. “Min, you’re in PR, what’s the climate like in the city regarding this issue?”

Min pushed the glasses up the bridge of her nose. They started to slide back down to the original position as she spoke. “I would say tepid, maybe even warm? It comes up every so often in the newspapers and magazines, Mr. Sano.”

Mr. Sano turned back to Asami. His face was stern, but not unfriendly. “This is a personal issue for you, Miss Sato?”

“Yes, one I feel is worth fighting for. I can pursue this without any company affiliation if the board does not want Future Industries to be involved in this more political issue,” Asami said to the room. She had spoken in front of them on many occasions, but for the first time in a long while, she was a bit nervous.

The youngest board member, Tran, fidgeted for a moment and then shot his hand up. Asami nodded to him to speak.

“I uh… I have an older sister and she, she is..gay. It would mean very much to me if the company I worked for helped drive this movement forward. The progressive thinking of Future Industries is what made me want to work here in the first place,” Tran said, scratching the back of his head.

“Drive this movement forward…” Min murmured to herself and then to the room. “‘Driving the industry forward’… it wouldn’t be a bad bandwagon to get on for marketing.”

Mr. Sano cleared his throat. “Is there anyone here today who has a strong opposition on this subject?” He looked around the room to mostly neutral faces. “I personally am not opposed to the idea of homosexual marriage. Everyone should have the right to be miserable.”

A few of the older board members chuckled at the remark.

“That being said, I believe we should take a cautious approach before we start ‘driving this movement forward.’” Mr. Sano made sure to make eye contact with both Min and Tran. He then turned his gaze to Asami. “We have been struggling to get Future Industries out of the mud, and I think we have finally gotten away from our negative associations. I am open to getting involved, but would like to have your involvement, Miss Sato, be a gauge for us. You can go public, but stress Future Industries is not financially supporting your efforts at this time. We can revisit this in three months and see how your personal involvement has gone. That way we as a company can make an informed decision. Can I get a show of hands for all agreeing to the proposal?”

Asami and Mr. Sano’s hands went up first, and the room quickly followed.

“Very well, now this meeting is adjourned,” Mr. Sano said, getting up from his spot. The other board members once again started to gather their belongings.

The room cleared out quickly and soon it was just Asami and Mr. Sano. He grabbed his briefcase and casually walked over to her. “Suyin Beifong, eh?”

“Yes, I’ve worked with her a few times alongside Kor-Avatar Korra.”

“What’s Suyin’s interest in it?”

“It’s a family matter for her.” Asami said, closing her own briefcase.

“She’s a real bulldog that one, make sure you keep your wits about you.”

Asami smiled at the remark. “It’s a Beifong trait I am very familiar with.”

“Lucky for us they're not business types, I’d rather compete with Garbage Corp any day.”

The engineer smiled at the man’s pet name for Cabbage Corp. Most of the board now called them by that name more than their real one.

Mr. Sano nudged up his sleeve and took a glance at his wrist watch. “I’ve got a lunch date, see you at the next meeting.”

When Asami exited the board room back into Future Industries’ lobby, she saw little Ikki swinging her legs as she sat waiting in a chair. Her secretary, Kali, rushed over to her.

“I’m sorry Miss Sato, this young girl insisted on seeing you today-”

Asami held up a hand. “Its fine, I was expecting her. She’s Master Tenzin’s daughter Ikki, she’ll be coming by to see me more often.”

“Understood, Miss Sato.”

“Ikki let’s go to lunch, I’ve got some good news.”

***

Even at her lunch with Ikki, Asami’s mind kept drifting back to Korra. Fortunately the airbender was completely unaware as she chattered on and on.

This morning she had watched the Avatar practice with Bolin before going to the prison. Asami enjoyed watching Korra bend any element, but today she decided that earth was her favorite. Earthbending highlighted her girlfriend’s raw strength. The wide and bold stances and motions made Korra’s muscles tense and flex. It was quite warm that morning and combined with the all the movement, the heat caused a light coating of sweat over the Avatar’s body.

Years of desire and yearning were starting to bubble over Asami’s entire being. Asami dreamed about what it would feel like, to have that energy directed at her. Without time constraints or fear of being interrupted like they always were.

She’d had more fantasies about bedding the Avatar then she’d like to admit, even privately to herself right now. What did Korra need to make her feel comfortable? Asami would do it, whatever it was.

“Time…”

The engineer looked at her lunch companion. In this moment she empathized with the young girl who was also sick of waiting.

“I need time… When you’re older… There really isn’t much difference, is there Ikki?”

“So, do you want to marry Korra someday?”

Asami snorted. She casually propped her elbow on the table and let her chin rest in her palm. “Then we’d finally get to consummate our relationship…”

“Concentrate your relationship?”

The older girl flushed; she did not mean to say that aloud. Asami was about to open her mouth to tell Ikki her ‘favorite’ phrase, then paused.

The young airbender’s eyes bored into her; she knew what was coming, and she was ready to protest.

Asami’s eyes darted around the room before she took a bite of her food to buy enough time to think of a good answer, one that would not get her in trouble with the girl’s parents. The chances of Ikki repeating any of their conversations were low, but one could never be certain.

“Consummate our relationship, it means to… In more feudal times it was used when a marriage was considered… complete? It’s kinda one of those words everyone uses, but no one knows the real definition… Ikki do you know what sex is?”

The young airbender’s face turned as red as a wingsuit. “Yuh-yes…”

“It’s about that. When you're in a romantic relationship with someone, it is considered ‘consummated’ once you have sex together for the first time.”

Ikki slumped down in her seat, embarrassed by the topic. Asami smirked at the girl’s discomfort and flipped her hair.

“I was going to say I’d explain it to you when you're older, should I have?”

“No! It’s just, you know, I’ve never really talked about it. My Mom talked to me about it once, when she gave me the talk about girls’ cycles. And that was suuuper embarrassing!” Ikki whined, slipping farther down in her seat. “But she only told me about what boys and girls do. I don’t think I can ask her about what girls do, that would be like, super, super embarrassing!”

“I will tell you, not when you're older, but when you can come to me and talk about it and not slide out of your seat embarrassed. That’s how I’ll know you’re ready.”

Ikki started to scoot herself out of her slumped position, her face still pink. “That sounds good; I think I’m okay with waiting a bit for that talk. Kissing is one thing… but s-sex is… AH!” The girl squealed and put her face in her hands.

Asami chuckled. She was relieved that she had finally found a topic Ikki was not aggressively curious about.

***

After lunch the girls went back to Asami’s office in the Future Industries buildings. Suyin was planning on stopping by before she and her family returned to Zaofu. Ikki, who was fully invested in working on their campaign, insisted on coming to the meeting.

Asami pulled out some drafting paper, for Ikki to start working on her poster ideas while she looked over some paperwork. They hadn’t been in the office long when she heard a rapping on the door. Before she could get up, President Raiko invited himself into her office.

“Miss Sato,” he said, with a formal nod.

Even though she didn’t need to get up, Asami decided she’d remain standing. She leaned a hand on her desk for balance. She eyed Raiko as he walked in, hands in his pockets and a folder tucked under his left arm. The President glanced over at Ikki curiously. She was sitting at the small meeting table, papers and pencils splayed across it.

“New intern?”

Asami blinked a few times at his question. Then it dawned on her Ikki was not in her wingsuit, so likely went unrecognized by Raiko as Tenzin’s daughter. She didn’t want to make the situation awkward by correcting him.

“She is. So, what can I do for you Raiko?”

The President walked towards her, pulling out the folder he had tucked under his arm. “Asami, I have a request for you. Can you build one of these?” he asked, passing her the file.

Asami flipped it opened and looked at the drafts inside. She eyed the drawings; it was a wooden chair with a very tall back. At the top of the back was what looked like a crown. A small note pointed to leg and hand straps suggesting leather was to be used.  “Is this a torture device?”

“It's called a lightning chair. The Earth Nation wanted me to find someone to make it for Kuvira's execution.”

“Execution? But her trial hasn't started.”

“That’s only for formalities. The decision to execute has already been made. The Earth Nation wants an example made of her.”

Asami's heart squeezed in her chest. “Korra...'”

“I figured this is something you could whip up pretty quick. Then we can all be done with this,” the President said, whipping off his sleeves.

The engineer took another long look at the designs. Where had they even come from? The use of lightning made her think it could be tied to the Fire Nation. Then her heart tightened again when she noticed a very familiar signature. These were her father's designs…

“Electricity… of course…”

Asami dropped her head and held the file out to Raiko.

“Please understand Future Industries cannot associate with machines of death anymore. We have been involved too many times. Death cannot be my company's legacy.”

Raiko gave a slight nod. He let out a long breath before speaking. “I understand. I wanted to give you the offer first. I bet Cabbage Corp can take care of this... City Renovation meetings begin again in a week, this should be done by then. I'll have my secretary send you formal memo.”

“I look forward to it,” Asami said, a little more curtly than she wanted it to sound.

The President pulled the door open, and turned around before letting himself out. “I asked that since this is not the will of the United Republic, they do it off our land. Kuvira will be moved to Ba Sing Se after the trial for her execution.”

Raiko left her office and only once the door sealed shut did Asami let her composure down. “Oh Ikki, this is bad…” Suddenly she felt very tired and made her way to sit back down.

“So... They're going to kill her no matter what. The trial doesn't matter. Can they do that?” Ikki said, adjusting herself so she was sitting on her feet.

“Apparently, I'm sure the jury will be bribed to vote for execution. Not that it would take much, I’m sure a lot of people want her dead.”

“Jinora and Korra are over talking to Kuvira today, right?”

“Yes they are.”

“What are we going to tell them?”

Asami steepled her fingers and rested her elbows on her desk. “Nothing, this conversation never happened.”

“But-”

“I know and I wish you hadn’t heard that. That was quite careless of him to disclose that in front of you… But the others can't know…”

“So we just let it happen?”

"I don't know what else we can do, Ikki.” Asami covered her face with her hands. “Dammit, I really wish you hadn’t heard that…”

There was a long moment of silence. Asami continued to hold her face while Ikki looked around the room. The airbender’s eyes landed on the painting of Asami's family on the wall. It was the first time she had seen the rest of the Sato family. Asami was in front and behind her stood Mr. and Mrs. Sato.  

“You look a lot like your mom. You were young when she died, right?”

Asami dragged her hands down her face and let them fall onto her desk. She leaned back into her chair and looked at the painting she knew the questions were coming from. “Yes, I was. I don't really remember much of her… Mostly what my father and other people have told me.”

“And Kuvira killed your father…”

“Yes, but it wasn’t intentional… Kuvira couldn't have known who was inside, if anyone... She was just fending off an attacker.”

“Is that why you won't do anything to stop Kuvira from being killed?”

Asami looked into the eyes of her parents. “No, there will be no satisfaction from her being executed. It won't bring my father back; just like him fighting against benders was never going to bring my mother back.”

“Then why can't we fight this, or a least tell Korra and my Dad?” Ikki banged her hands on the table for emphasis.

“Because they will fight it, there is no way they would allow a rigged trial to happen. Calling out the Earth Nation… It would throw things back into chaos and we just achieved some peace. They must continue defending Kuvira as planned… and… Kuvira will be executed… And Korra will know that she tried her best.” Asami’s stomach clenched at the thought of lying to her girlfriend for the rest of their lives. She wasn’t one hundred percent sure if Korra even wanted to defend her in trial… Maybe…

No… I know Korra, and she will do everything she can to spare Kuvira’s life.”

The engineer looked back over at her young companion. She did not deserve to be burdened with this secret. It was only a few days ago that she was praising her honest nature. What kind of role model was she being for this girl?

But this is way more complicated than a sex talk…”

“Asami… what are we going to do?”

“Keep this to ourselves.” Asami got up from her seat and went over to Ikki. She crouched down by the girl’s chair to make eye contact. “Kuvira was a tyrant and she wasn’t going to stop with Republic City. She would have kept going and eventually taken over the world, just like in the Hundred Year War. Kuvira hurt a lot of people and she has to face the punishment. And with this gesture, we will keep the peace we all fought so hard for. And I promise you Ikki, I will make sure an execution never happens again. It just has to happen, this one time, do you understand?”

They held eye contact for a long time. Asami desperately looked to see if the girl understood. Eventually Ikki looked away.

“I guess so…”

Once again there was a knock on the door. The two girls looked up to see Suyin entering the room. The Matriarch paused, surprised by the somber looks on their faces.

“Who died?”


To be continued...

Chapter 14: Choices: Part Two

Notes:

Many thanks to Toastermarketingboard for editing this chapter!!!

Chapter Text

Asami paced back and forth in her slowly darkening office. She had just gotten off the phone with an enthusiastic Korra, who had decided she and the other three would defend Kuvira in court tomorrow.

“Miss Sato?”

At the sound of her name Asami looked up; she hadn’t even heard Kali come in. She had assumed the young woman had already left for the day like everyone else.

“Yes Kali?” the engineer said, trying to control the wavering in her voice.

Her secretary walked closer. “I just wanted to see if everything was alright… You had a lot of visitors today, and now you're here so late… pacing…”

“I uh… got some difficult news today and I’m not sure what I should do.”

“Would you like to talk about it?”

Asami thought for a long moment. “Yes, I think I need another person’s opinion. What I tell you tonight cannot be repeated to anyone else, understand?”

“Yes, Miss Sato.”

“Raiko informed me that they will be executing Kuvira, the trial that starts tomorrow is just for show.”

“So she’s not getting a real trial… I mean, does she even deserve one? She destroyed our city, she kept people in slave camps and killed your father, to name a few reasons...”

“I know, I know. A big part of me agrees, even feels satisfaction over the thought of her being wiped off the Earth… but in my heart I know what the Earth Kingdom is doing isn’t right... Everyone deserves a fair trial...”

“You want the justice system and the people to come to that decision on their own.”

“Ideally, yes. I do believe this is an isolated instance of overriding justice, as slippery of a slope as that is… But that’s not what’s keeping me here pacing all night… It’s about Korra… Avatar, Korra.”

“I know you’re friends with her, but what does she have to do with it?”

“I’m dating her.”

Kali’s eyes opened so wide they almost bulged. “You’re dating the Avatar?”

“Yes, and you also cannot repeat that to anyone.”

“You’re dating the Avatar? But, she’s a she!”

“You should know Kali, I date women and I will be going public about it very soon in an upcoming campaign.”

“I had no idea. You’ve always been so… Well, I guess you’ve been so private I never really thought about you dating anyone…” The young woman leaned against her boss’s desk. “Wow.”

Asami walked over to a large oak cabinet in her office and started rummaging in it. She pulled out two rock glasses and a bottle and brought them over to her desk. Silently she poured them each a drink.

The engineer tilted her head back and took a long swig from her glass. “So Kali, you seeing anyone?”

The woman snorted and took a small sip of her own beverage. “He’s nowhere near as interesting as the Avatar.”

Asami nodded for her to go on.

“His name is Tran… he just became one of your board members,” Kali said shyly, taking another little sip.

“That’s wonderful, he seems very nice.”

“He is… so what does Avatar Korra have to do with the execution?”

In a quick motion Asami finished her drink and began pouring herself another. “Korra is one of the kindest people I’ve ever known… She is planning on defending Kuvira’s life in the trial and now I know that she will be doing it for nothing. I don’t know how deeply losing the trial will affect her, but I do know she will blame herself to some degree.

“I can’t just tell her that this trial is a ruse. My noble Avatar will call out the Earth Kingdom, and demand justice. I can see the chain reaction unfolding; Raiko will know I disclosed the secret, because he knows I am a friend of Korra. And that will get him in trouble with the Earth Kingdom. What will the Earth Kingdom do? They are so fragile, and so is the United Republic’s relationship with them.

“In all probability, even in a fair trial Kuvira would be sentenced to death. Then I would comfort Korra, knowing she had done the best she could. But I can’t unknow what I now know and I don’t know if I can keep this secret between us.” Asami looked down at her drink. “I love her. I love her so much…”

“What about a third option?”

“What do you mean?”

“Well right now, you’re looking at this only two ways, either you tell Avatar Korra or you don’t. What about figuring out a scenario where you get the results you want?”

“The results I want?” Asami repeated.

“C’mon Miss Sato,” Kali said, carelessly gesturing her drink at Asami. “You’re forgetting yourself in this. I’ve overheard some serious negotiations you’ve had. When you don’t like a business proposition you wrangle them into one you do want. This should be no different.”

“I suppose…”

“You just need to figure out what you want, and then I know you’ll find a way to get it.”

“Kali, I’ve never seen this assertive side of you before.”

The young woman shrugged, “I guess we both have our secret, Miss Sato.”

Asami chuckled to herself, bringing the glass to her lips. “I guess we do,” she said and then took a sip.

***

The Sun had fully set, making the city air crisp on the exposed areas of Asami’s skin. She had stayed at her office for about half an hour after Kali left and was now preparing her Satobike for the short ride home.

‘The results I want…’

Asami knew she wanted Korra to be happy, but that was a given. The real question was what she wanted to happen to Kuvira. The compromise between justice for those she wronged and Korra’s conscience would be life imprisonment, but how was she going to make that happen?

“I don’t think this is something I can do alone…”

***

At Republic City’s airfield, Opal and her mother were dwarfed by the vast bulk of the Zaofu airship moored behind them.

“You take care of yourself, okay Mom? I’ll be heading to the Earth Kingdom in a few weeks for airbender duties with my partner Kai. I’ll be sure to stop by before heading back to Republic City,” Opal said, embracing her mother.

“Wonderful, your partner is welcome to stay with us too.”

“Suyin!” Asami called out.

The Beifong matriarch turned around to see Asami dismounting from her Satobike. She tossed her helmet onto the seat and started running towards them.

“Asami, what’s going on?” Opal asked.

“Suyin,” Asami called out as she approached. “ I know you’re trying to fly out tonight, but I must speak with you.”

“I knew you were keeping something from me,” Suyin murmured, crossing her arms.

“I… I couldn’t discuss it with Ikki there; she knows too much as it is.”

“My interest is piqued; let's step into my room on the airship.”

The three started walking together when Asami reached out to Opal. “I’m really sorry Opal, but I need to speak with your mother alone.”

The airbender was about to protest when her mother gave her a warning look.

The door of Suyin’s room on the airship closed and Asami finally felt it was safe to speak.

***

“...So I came to you because I know you won’t just spring into action, that and you also have a complicated relationship with Kuvira,” Asami said, folding her arms and leaning against the wall behind her.

Suyin was seated in an arm chair, her eyes cast down on the floor. She wasn’t going to admit aloud that she was frustrated with the news the young woman had brought to her. She had come to the personal decision that Kuvira needed to sleep in the bed she made for herself. Baatar Jr. was the priority, and now that his trial was over she needed to go back to Zaofu and clean things up there.

“That is true, she was like a daughter to me… but now… It’s too complicated to put into words… I had washed my hands of the situation. My son is safe, that was all I cared about. Now you want me to get involved.”

“In good conscience could you walk away now, knowing what I just told you?”

“She killed your father.”

“She did,” Asami replied, barely above a whisper.

“She ruined my son’s life.”

“In many ways she did.”

Suyin leaned back in her seat. “Based on what you told me, the only feasible option I can see is for us to capture Kuvira while she is en route to Ba Sing Se and lead them to believe she was killed, so they do not go after her. From there it's fuzzy. I cannot justify letting Kuvira roam free while my son sits in jail for twenty years. I don’t see how I could keep her captive myself, and honestly I do not want to. The only fair exchange I could get behind is if her bending is taken away.”

“But… only Korra can do that.”

“Precisely,” Suyin thrusted a finger in Asami’s direction for emphasis. “She will have to get involved.”

“But the point was to not tell Korra about-”

“If you do not want to tell Korra what is going on then you need to leave this whole situation alone. You cannot take action and not tell Korra because you will still be lying to her and could end up making matters worse. She could get caught in the crosshairs of this without a clue as to what is going on.”

Asami hung her head. “You’re right.”

“I know I’m right. So what’s it going to be?”

Asami took a deep breath. “I’ll tell Korra and try to save Kuvira. Will you help?”

“I will, but I call the shots from here on out. We get caught, and we are all in some serious trouble. I’m talking conspiracy and jail time.”

“Understood.”

“Alright, you get Korra, Bolin and my sister.” Suyin slid her rob from her wrist, exposing her watch. “I need to reschedule this flight for tomorrow. We need to meet at your residence, in roughly an hour.”

“I have moved, let me write down my new address,” Asami said, reaching into one of the large pockets of her trousers for her notebook and pen.

***

“So what do you think, fire lilies?” Korra asked, lifting a small red bouquet from the street vendor’s cart.

Bolin was eyeing some leather products a cart over from Korra. He looked up at her question. “Red is Asami’s signature color, when did you get some spending money?”

The Avatar grinned and fluttered her eyes.

“I thought it was a little strange you wanted to go shopping together.” The earthbender slapped down a belt he had picked up. “Fine, since it’s for a good cause.”

Korra slapped her hands together like she was praying. “Thank you! I’ll pay you back once I get some money from my parents.”

“Don’t worry about it. I can’t believe there is no money in being the Avatar.”

“Not directly; some Avatars are born into money, most had to live off the kindness of others. In more feudal times it was an honor to host and care for the Avatar.”

“I’ll pay for your flowers, but you’re not moving in with me.” Bolin passed a few coins to Korra. “You’re lucky you’re going to be marrying into some serious yuans.”

“We’re not getting married!” Korra blushed and looked down at the flowers. “It is pretty intimidating how much money Asami has.”

Korra paid the vendor and they started walking.

“At least she’s pretty chill about it. When I was acting, I met some really snooty rich people,” Bolin said, thinking back to his wealthier time. 

“Do you think you’ll ever go back to it? Maybe find a mover director who's not making propaganda films?” the Avatar said with an elbow nudge.

“I hadn’t really thought about it, maybe I should.”

“I’d love to see Nuktuk in action again.” Korra stopped walking when they reached an intersection. Korra pointed to the next street. “Asami’s place is this way.”

Bolin gave her a small salute. “Good luck!”

“Good luck?”

“It felt right, enjoy your evening Avatar,” the earthbender said with a dramatic bow.

The two parted ways and Bolin started navigating his way towards the docks. It wasn’t long before he heard the roar of a engine. The earthbender looked behind him to see a black figure on a Satobike quickly approaching.

Reflexes took over and he crouched into an earthbending stance. With a quick motion he raised the ground a few feet in front of him. The dark figure screeched to a halt behind the wall. Bolin jumped up onto it and looked down at his company. His hands poised to hock some rocks at a moment's notice.

“Bolin!” Asami cried out, taking off her helmet.

Bolin lowered his hands. “Asami?” The wall he was standing on lowered so he was face-to-face with Asami.

“You need to come to my apartment right away, do you know where Korra is?”

“On her way to see you, what’s going on?”

“We can’t talk here, hop on,” Asami said, passing the helmet to Bolin. He obeyed and mounted the bike.

“You’re going to need to hold my waist.”

Bolin fidgeted a moment before he let his hands snake around her.

“This stays between us,” Bolin whispered.

Asami rolled her eyes, revved the engine and the bike took off. They ended up beating Korra back to the apartment. Asami parked her bike and let Bolin inside. Soon after their arrival, Lin showed up along with Suyin, Wing, Wei and Opal.

The group had settled in Asami’s apartment, all claiming a seat in the living room.

“So we having some kind of an intervention for Korra or what?” Lin asked the room.

Bolin snorted. “That’d be funny. Okay guys, if we had to give Korra an intervention, what would it be about?”

“Sleeves,” Opal said dryly.

Bolin put his hand to his chin. “Now that you mention it, Korra doesn’t ever wear sleeves, does she?”

Asami playfully flipped her hair and looked over at the couple in the love seat. “I don’t mind.”

The doorbell chimed and everyone turned to Asami. “She’s here.”

Asami rushed to the door and opened to find her girlfriend grinning widely with her hands behind her back.

“Korra, I’m-”

The Avatar put her finger to Asami’s lips before she could finish and pulled out the bouquet she had hidden.

“Will the lady kindly join me for a walk in the park?”

“She’s busy!” someone yelled from inside the apartment.

Korra’s face fell and she pushed past Asami to see the apartment full of people. Her face flushed red.

“Asami! What’s going on?”

“Suyin and I have an announcement. Come in,” Asami said, taking her girlfriend’s hand. Korra pouted and followed her in. “Suyin, maybe you could get started while I put these flowers in a vase?”

Suyin nodded and got up from her seat.

Asami brought Korra with her into the kitchen area. Once she knew they were obscured by the wall she turned to Korra.

“I’m sorry about catching you off guard. These are lovely, thank you,” the engineer whispered as she gently touched Korra’s cheek.

The shorter girl nodded and leaned into the contact. “I love you.”

Asami’s heart tightened and she finally felt confident that she had made the right decision.

“I love you too.” Asami eventually let her hand fall. She quickly grabbed a vase and filled it with water. The flowers were taken care of and the pair joined the group.

“...So the trial is going to happen, but only for show. The Earth Kingdom has already decided to execute Kuvira.”

The apartment filled with sounds of surprise.

“What!” Korra shouted. “They can’t do that!”

Asami held her girlfriend's arm, guiding her back into her seat.

“It’s a done deal,” Suyin replied.

“We have to speak with the Earth Kingdom, at least give her a fair trial,” the Avatar insisted.

Suyin waved a dismissive hand. “Calling out the Earth Kingdom is not an option.”

“But-” Korra started, looking back and forth between Suyin and Asami.

“We’re going to rescue her Korra, but there is something we need to ask of you,” Asami said, hesitantly.

“In exchange for her life, she must give up her bending. A price must be paid, and I think this is one we can all get behind.” Suyin looked around the room, confirming everyone agreed. The only one who wasn’t making eye contact was Korra.

“Korra?” Asami whispered.

Korra bent over in her seat, resting her elbows on her thighs, her eyes cast down to the carpet. “I didn’t want it to come to that… Deep down I knew it would… I just…” The Avatar’s eyes closed and she could almost feel the touch of Amon’s thumb on her forehead.

“This situation is different… This is an exchange… She is a criminal…”

Korra looked up and over to Lin. She could tell the police chief' was trying to hide her own discomfort; her arms and legs were crossed. As if she could feel Korra’s eyes, she turned her head and made eye contact. They held it for a moment, and then Lin gave a slight nod.

“Okay, I’ll do it,” Korra whispered. She sat up when she felt Asami’s hand on her back, rubbing slow circles. Her stress eased at the gentle contact.

“Then we all agree. We will attempt to spare Kuvira’s life in exchange for her bending.” Suyin addressed the room. “What I have come up with so far is the following; Korra, Bolin and Opal, you cannot support Kuvira in trial. Korra, you must publicly announce that you have decided not to defend Kuvira. There shall be no further contact with Kuvira, since you no longer have a reason to speak with her.”

Boin leaned over to his girlfriend. “It’s going to look so bad to Kuvira after all the fuss we made today.”

Opal kept her eyes on the group conversation. “I’m sure she’ll understand after we save her ass.”

“You’re probably right,” Bolin whispered, leaning back upright.

Korra raised her hand. “Jinora was also going to defend her, she really should be here at this meeting.”

Suyin rubbed her chin for a moment to consider the young airbender. “We can inform Jinora of the situation, but she should continue to support Kuvira, maybe Opal too? Anti-death is an airbender thing, right sweetie?”

“I should go home with the family instead, keep a low profile. I think people could believe I’d refuse to support her,” Opal replied.

“I agree, the Beifongs should be united on their stance on Kuvira,” Asami added.

“Very well, Opal, you’ll come back with the family tomorrow. After the trial finishes Kuvira is going to be transported to Ba Sing Se for the execution. I’m going to assume via airship, since the rails are still in disrepair. This is when we need to act, and raid the the airship. It would best if we could deceive the Earth Kingdom and the United Republic that Kuvira died in the attack. How that attack will play out, I’m still planning, but I know a few things. Lin, Korra and Asami you must be here in Republic City when it happens. Lin and Korra will be called into action to investigate, after you confirm Kuvira’s ‘death’ you’ll rendezvous with the team holding Kuvira, take her bending and then we ship her off to the Fire Nation.”

Bolin shot his hand up. “We could pretend to be crazy Kuvira supporters and take over the ship.”

“We have to be careful what we do doesn’t actually kill anyone. This will be pretty pointless if in the process of saving a convicted tyrant we end up killing some innocent people just doing their job,” Lin said gruffly.

Suyin nodded. “Good point Lin.”

Bolin raised his hand up again. “We can’t plot with Kuvira at all? Cos when Varrick and I escaped from her, Varrick had this brilliant plan, that he didn’t really clue me in on… But what he did was, he set off his spirit vine thingy to explode and took the train hostage. That got all the soldiers off the train and to separate the cars. We were set adrift on our car with the explosive and when it went off they assumed we blew up too! Fortunately, I saved Varrick and myself from the blast, but they didn’t know!”

“It’s too risky to have any more contact with her. Besides, I don’t trust her,” Suyin said, shaking her head.

“What about when we attempt to capture her and ask her to surrender her bending, can we trust her then? If Korra’s not there to keep an eye on her, then who else is capable of besting her?” Lin added.

Opal turned to her aunt. “Kuvira didn’t look like much of a threat when I got a look at her today. We can even keep her in the locks the Earth Kingdom has on her.”

“Never judge a monster by their physical appearance. The Red Lotus were physically confined for thirteen years and they all managed to come out of their cells swinging.” The police chief pointed for emphasis. “We have to treat he like she’s still very much a threat, until her bending is gone.”

Wing, who was sitting between his mother and Wei, rose from his seat. “I have an idea, what if he got help from some Earth Kingdom Kuvira sympathizers? I am sure there are citizens like us who want justice, but don’t agree with execution. We find a way to plant them aboard as her escort crew. So when we board to rescue Kuvira, there is no struggle, they pass her over and corroborate the story that she died.”

Wei nudged his brother. “That’s a good idea.”

“Oh!” Bolin raised his right hand, then his left. “My brother is in Ba Sing Se, maybe we could reach out to him? Prince Wu should have some pull in the situation, we just need to find out how he feels.”

“Has Mako called you yet?” Opal said as she reached out and lowered her boyfriend’s hands down.

Bolin slumped. “No… I’m sure he’s just really busy over there. I know Mako will agree that Kuvira shouldn’t be executed. And since he’s Wu’s trusted advisor, I bet he could convince Wu, if needed.”

“What if Wu pushed for this to happen? He’s still technically the ‘Earth King.’ Did Raiko tell you who was involved in the decision?” Opal asked, gesturing to Asami.

The engineer shrugged. “He just said the Earth Kingdom.”

“I can ask Mako if he knows anything about it, if I can figure out how to get ahold of him…”

Opal looked at her boyfriend and then at her mother. “What if Bolin came with us, and we could drop him off in the Earth Kingdom to find Mako?”

Suyin nodded. “Good idea. It seems like we may need to see what support we have in the Ba Sing Se before we solidify any more plans. We will leave first thing tomorrow morning, and should be in touch around the afternoon Republic City time. Asami?”

At her name, Asami looked over to Suyin and nodded.

“We should only use your phone for communication. I don’t want anything tracing back to the Air Temple. Too many people live there, and it’s too obvious. Lin, see what you can find out about Kuvira’s transportation. I think we all know what we need to do, I will call tomorrow once we land in Zaofu. Let’s all get some rest.”

The meeting broke and it wasn’t long before it was only Korra and Asami in the apartment. Silently they tidied up the room, moving chairs taken from Asami’s dining table and sliding them back into place.

Asami looked over at her girlfriend. Korra had remained quiet for most of the conversation. She looked as if her mind was somewhere else.

“Did you still want to go for a walk?”

“No, I’d better go talk to Jinora. She needs to know there has been a change of plans.”

“You’re right.”

“Korra I… before you leave, I want to be honest with you. When Raiko told me about Kuvira, my first impulse was to not tell you and I almost didn’t. I’m sorry.”

“No, don’t be sorry… I don’t know what I would have done...” The Avatar said, looking up at her girlfriend one more time before opening the apartment door.

When it shut Asami stared at the door. She didn’t feel so confident that she made the right decision anymore.


To be continued...

 

Chapter 15: Choices: Part Three

Notes:

Thank you Toastermarketingboard for editing!

Chapter Text

The wind off the ocean howled and tossed the waves into the small island. It was well after midnight, and all the temple lights had been extinguished. Korra sat alone in the gazebo, her eyes closed and fists together.

“Raava…? Raava where are you”

Defeated, Korra hung her head. She had been meditating for what felt like hours in hopes of contacting Raava, to no avail. She opened her eyes and looked out at the uneasy water.

The Avatar groaned and pulled herself up from the lotus position. She kicked her left leg out behind her and then swiftly thrust it forward. From the kick a fiery blast shot into the sky. As it climbed the glowing red orb began to extinguish. Korra repeated the actions, kicking three more flaming balls into the darkness.

Following the fire blasts Korra heaved a chunk of rock. As it peaked and started to descend back to earth, she threw her fists at it and sent the rock into the ocean with a splash. Inspired, Korra conjured up a swell of water and guided it in figures of eight around her body a few times before returning it.

Since she had bent all the other elements, Korra felt like she might as well go into some air stances. For an hour the Avatar got lost in a trance of filtering through various stances of the four elements. Her eyes had long since closed, but she could sense all around her.

Bending water was comforting, but that was to be expected from her native element. The pushing and pulling motions that guided the water helped Korra calm her own emotions. Water can adapt to its surroundings and flow, but the element had another side; still waters could hide surprising depths, gentle currents could turn into torrents, water could be soft silk and in an instant sharp ice.

With a few final pushes Korra widened her stance and moved to earth. She enjoyed earth’s simplicity, though she would never say that to an earthbender; it just felt so solid and sure. Bending earth really did make you feel grounded and its strength came from being able to take that away from your opponent. Bending earth was very physical and Korra felt adrenaline start to build along with a sweat. This triggered her to switch to the next element.

Fire, despite being the ‘opposite’ to her home element of water, came very naturally to her. When her emotions were high she found herself instinctively going to fire. While bending the element she could feel a burning inside herself, the physical sensation helped distract her from the emotional. Korra recognized that it was a good thing she wasn’t solely a firebender; given her personality it wouldn’t have taken much to be consumed by fire’s unruly nature.

Korra started relaxing her muscles and let her body move with the gusts of air that came off the water.

“Be the leaf."

Air; it had surprised Korra how hard it was for her to learn the element. She understood water and its ability to flow and change, but air was still different. Air just was. ‘Just being’ was not an easy state of body or mind for the Avatar. One of the few times she had felt like was ‘just being’ was her and Asami’s last evening in the Spirit World. Lying side by side, watching the surreal night sky, with Asami tucked under her arm. It was a brief glimpse at paradise.

Going back into the state of mind she had in the Spirit World helped her completely let go of the last tether she was feeling, allowing herself to fully open up. Korra changed stances again, in rapid succession, without thought; water, earth, fire and air. Water, earth, fire and air.

‘Korra…’ a quiet voice called out.

Water, earth, fire and air.

‘Korra…’ This time loud enough for Korra to hear in her mind.

“Raava?” Korra called aloud.

‘I am here. Sit down Korra, rest. ’

The Avatar obeyed and folded herself into the lotus position again. When her fists came together a flash blinded her closed eyes. As the light dimmed Korra could see Raava’s incandescent form hovering above her.

“Where have you been?”

‘I have been resting… I was very tired.’

“From creating the new Spirit Portal?”

‘Yes… but I am feeling stronger these days.’

“Raava, I need your guidance… you’re the only one I can talk to.”

‘You want to know if you are doing the right thing about Kuvira.’

“Why am I doubting this decision?”

‘Your friends could get hurt or in trouble, even killed...’

“Everyone is so willing to risk their lives again, like it wasn’t even a question. Looking back, it’s a miracle we all came out of Kuvira’s attack on Republic City alive. I wanted to protect Kuvira’s life, because I knew it was the right thing to do. Defending her in court had no risks, besides some people not liking me, but I’m pretty used to that. But now saving Kuvira means not only gambling my own life, but the lives of many others; weigh that against the crimes she committed and the right choice isn’t so clear anymore.

“Since these trials started, I’ve questioned if my desire to save Kuvira has come from a selfish place, because of how much of myself I see in her. I can’t help but think about what Kuvira herself said ‘There will come a day when the good of the people will outweigh your own attachments.’ I was so revolted by that idea, because I could hear the harsh truth in her words. It’s a fact I’ve slowly been coming to realize. As the the Avatar, I have to think about what is right for others, and not put people in danger over my own attachments.”

‘Have you not considered that your friends have already decided what is right for them? Right now you want to make a decision for your people, an action you chastised Kuvira for.’

“But I won’t be there to help them for the most dangerous part! I can sense a desire for change in Kuvira, but I can’t predict what she’s going to do. I just have to sit here and wait!”

‘By stopping this mission to protect them, you are really choosing to protect yourself.’

Korra bowed her head.

There was a long moment of silence as she contemplated Raava’s words.

‘What is it Korra?’

“After Kuvira is rescued, I have to take her bending away. How do I… how do we do that?”

‘We must be joined in the Avatar State; I will guide you from there.’

Korra gave a slight nod, but remained silent.

‘It will be alright Korra, this is the path of balance.’

***

The following morning, before breakfast, Korra disclosed the plan to Tenzin and Jinora. After speaking with them, she felt more assured of the decision to save Kuvira. Soon after, the pair left for the trial without her.

Tenzin was going to tip off the press that she would not be supporting Kuvira in the trials, so she needed to stay on the island and wait for the press to inevitably show up for a formal statement.

Korra felt a slight pang of guilt knowing that Kuvira would feel abandoned, maybe even betrayed by her.  Once Kuvira was saved and their plan was revealed to her, Korra wasn’t sure how she’d feel… Hopefully relieved she wasn’t going to be executed. As far as the bending went, the Avatar wondered how willingly she’d give it up.

Needing something to do, Korra made her way over to the gazebo to practice her airbending stances. To her surprise she found Ikki in front of the structure, going through some air stances.

“I can’t believe my eyes, Ikki practicing, on her own?” the Avatar teased.

The younger girl narrowed her eyes and looked over at Korra. “I’m going to be an Air Master someday too, you know. I’ll be older than Jinora when she became a master… but I’ll be happy just as long as I beat Meelo.”

“I forget that’s going to happen someday. He’s going to be so annoying after he becomes an Air Master.”

“You mean insufferable,” Ikki countered.

“Maybe we’ll all be moved out by then.” Korra bowed. “So, may I join you in your practice Master Ikki?”

Ikki bowed back. “You may, Avatar Korra, but shouldn’t you be at the trial…”

Korra gathered up a gust of air. “There’s been a change of plans.”

The young airbender broke her stances and ran up to Korra. “Asami told you?”

“Ye-yeah, how’d you know about..?”

“I was there when she found out. What’s the plan, are we going to call out the Earth Kingdom? What’s Asami’s part? What do I need to do?”

“Whoa there, we’re going to save Kuvira before she makes it back to the Earth Kingdom.”

“That’s great! I knew she didn’t mean what she said. I’ve gotta go talk to her! Bye Korra!” With a burst of air Ikki was in the sky, flying towards the city.

The baffled Avatar watched her small form disappear. Once she was no longer visible, Korra shrugged and started back into her air stances.

***

It was almost noon when the airship neared the outer ring of Ba Sing Se. The large craft slowly started descending out of the clouds, to cruise at a lower altitude.  

“Excited to see your brother?” Opal asked, nudging her boyfriend with her shoulder.

“I mean, he’s only been gone for like six days… But yeah, I am.”

“I wonder what he’s been up to.”

***

A thunderous banging roused Mako from him sleep. The light was too bright, so he rolled over and pulled the sheets to cover his head. He heard some rustling and footsteps padding away from the bed.

“Prince Wu, visitors from Republic City and Zaofu have just requested a landing in the inner ring, should we permit them?”

It wasn’t till Mako heard the Prince’s name that he realized he was not where he thought he was. The firebender shot up out from the covers and started looking around frantically. From the direction of the door, he heard Wu’s voice.

“Of course! You all need to lighten up, the fight is over.”

“Understood, sir.”

The door thudded closed and Wu let out a long sigh. “I swear I have to hold their hand over every single decision.”

The prince looked over at the bed to see a pair of frightened eyes staring back at him. “Morning Mako, guess we have some company from Republic City.”

“Uh… Um… Wha…” were the only sounds Mako could make as he looked back and forth between the spot it appeared Wu had slept in on the bed and the prince himself.

Wu put a hand to his mouth and let out a chuckle. “Oh calm down Mako, we didn’t do anything. Remember, you were escorting me back to my room last night after that party, and were too drunk to make it back to your own.” Wu moved his hand to his chin. “Looking back on the evening, that was a little too elaborate for a political dinner. We are trying to move away from the excesses of the Monarchy. Remind me of that next time Mako, we need to set a better example!”

Wu started into the attached bathroom, leaving Mako alone. The firebender grabbed his forehead, as if the mention of him being drunk last night reminded his body it should feel hangover pains. Giving into his body’s wishes, he allowed himself to lie back down. Mako’s eyes closed and tried to remember the evening.

Several heads of the Earth Kingdom states were in Ba Sing Se to start working out the new government. The meetings were long and tedious, so Wu had suggested a dinner party to ease some of the monotony. It was held in the palace, where most of the attendees were already staying. Even though the palace had been looted the structure itself was still beautiful. From there things started to get fuzzy. The wine cellar in the place had survived the raids, and several barrels were tapped for the festivities.

Mako felt strange admitting it, but despite the long boring discussions he really was enjoying his time in the Earth Kingdom. He was meeting so many different and intelligent people and was learning a lot about politics. He just needed to learn how to drink responsibly around them, or to drink as much as they did. Mako distinctly remembered never having to refill his glass, someone was always taking care of it for him.

Mako recalled acknowledging a change in the Prince since Kuvira’s attack, and while in the Earth Kingdom. He had really started to mellow out, and was taking more initiative than ever; the party was a huge success. But then there were still some Wu tendencies he hadn’t quite shaken, and at some point Wu asked him to walk him back to his room.

It wasn’t until Mako had stood up to walk Wu back that it sunk in how drunk he was. Which was why when they arrived at Wu’s door, he didn’t think twice about the offer to put his head down and start sleeping it off.

While Mako had been thinking Wu finished in the restroom and was starting to pull out clothing from his wardrobe. Mako sat back up and started dragging himself out of the bed.

“Well c'mon sleepyhead, we have visitors.”

***

When Mako and Wu entered the throne room, which had been converted into the main meeting space, Suyin, Opal and Bolin were already waiting for them.

“Mako!” Bolin shouted, getting out of his seat and rushing towards his brother.

“Bolin?”

The earthbender wrapped Mako in a big bear hug, lifting him a few inches off the ground.

“What brings you guys here?” Mako asked, as his brother released him back to the ground.

Suyin rose from her seat. “We need to speak with the both of you, do you have a space that is a little more intimate?”

Wu thought for a moment. “Let’s go to my bedroom.”

Mako felt his face threatening to redden, as if somehow everyone would know he had spent the night there. Once the five were inside the room, and seated in the small living room space, Suyin turned to Wu.

“We’ve come to discuss Kuvira, are you aware of the situation?”

The prince turned to Mako. “Situation?”

The firebender shrugged and looked back at their guests. “Her trial has started, right?”

“Correct, and we’ve been informed the jury has been rigged to sentence her to death,” Suyin replied.

Mako shifted in his seat. “What? How?”

“That’s what we’d like to know.”

Bolin leaned forward. “So you weren’t involved in this, right?”

Mako looked over at Wu. “I’m not.”

Wu held his hands up defensively. “Don’t look at me! After hearing about my aunt’s ‘informal’ execution, you think I’d support that?”

“Do you have any idea who would?” Opal asked.

“Pretty much all the Earth Kingdom states’ officials and governors are here. We’ve been having dozens of meetings about moving forward without the monarchy. I hope this wasn’t decided during one of those meetings I skipped to go shopping…” Wu pondered.

Mako groaned and rested his face in his hand.

“Or it could have been decided before I returned. A lot of things had already been put into motion before Mako and I came back. We had to do a lot of reining in on the policy making, a lot of people were taking advantage of the lack of structure.”

“Those who passed it probably doubted it’d ever come up again, and you’d never question the sentencing,” Suyin said, crossing her legs.

“We’re already housing all the other war criminals, what’s one more?” Wu asked with a shrug.

Mako got out of his seat and walked towards the window. “She’s only the face and leader of the destruction we’re all working tirelessly to fix. I can see why some people would like to make sure she or anyone else does not do anything like this again.”

“Yes, and we all agree that she deserves a harsh punishment for her actions, but rigged trials and executions is not the direction we want to see our country take for our citizens, regardless of the crime,” Suyin countered.

“So uh, what are you all proposing? I’m assuming the Avatar is involved?” asked Wu.

Mako felt a pang in his chest at the mention of Korra. It had been so hectic since he arrived, he really hadn’t given the reason he left much thought. It was wishful thinking on his part that coming to the Earth Kingdom would mean no one discussing Korra for a few months. Wu’s words reminded him of his conversation with Lin at Varrick’s wedding party.

‘I know Korra is going to meddle in the trial of Kuvira. She spared her life and is going to want to be responsible for it.’

The firebender sighed to himself. ‘You called it Chief...’

“Of course she’s involved, but we don’t want to ruffle any feathers. We have just gained peace, and can all agree we’d like to keep it for as long as possible. Our plan is fairly simple, we rescue Kuvira while she is being delivered to the Earth Kingdom for her execution, make the world believe she was killed in the scuffle, Korra removes her bending and we banish her off to some remote village in the Fire Nation, and since the Earth Kingdom is still quite malleable we push to make capital punishment illegal in the future.”

Wu nodded his head. “That sounds agreeable, and since the Avatar approves, I can’t say no to her. I assume there is a part you need me to play?”

“Correct, we need you to control who is on board the airship that picks up Kuvira. Ideally we’d like everyone on the ship in the loop of the situation, so when my recovery team meets up with the transport airship they collect Kuvira without anyone getting hurt, and then stage the airship crash. Then the crew corroborates the story that Kuvira died in the crash.”

Mako turned around to face the group. “What if we are met with resistance when Wu tries to take control of collecting Kuvira? What if he’s been intentionally left in the dark?”

“He has to wait until the the announcement of the verdict is made, and he will need to act like he wants to take initiative on getting justice for his people.”

Wu clasped his hands together. “It’ll be like going under cover, finally a chance to showcase my acting abilities!”

“Just don’t over act, remember you’re going to be campaigning to get rid of the death penalty after this,” Opal said, pointing for emphasis. “Mako, you need to keep him in line.”

The firebender smiled. “I always do.”

“Oh this is exciting!” Wu said clapping his hands together a few times.

“Do you have a private phone or radio line we can communicate on?” Suyin asked, looking around the room.

“There is one here in my bedroom.”

“Perfect, let’s exchange numbers before we leave.”

“How long will you be staying?” Mako asked, looking at his brother.

Bolin turned to Suyin, unsure of the answer himself.

“We need to leave this evening, we have a lot to get together, and not a lot of time. I’m going to go check on my husband and the other boys, shall we meet up for dinner?”

“Yes, there is this little Fire Nation restaurant I’ve been meaning to go to. We can meet in the throne room around six.” Wu stood up and gestured Suyin to join him. “I’ll walk you back so these brothers can catch up.”

Suyin took the offered arm and Opal followed behind them towards the door. She leaned closer to Wu and quietly spoke. “So there was one other bit of politics I wanted to bring up with you, while I’m here…”

“Mom, is this really the best time for your other political agendas?” Opal groaned.

The Matriarch looked back at her daughter, and gave her a frown. “This is the time, the Nation is rebuilding itself and its policies.”

“What did you have in mind?” Wu asked.

“How do you feel about advocating for homosexual marriage to become legal in the Earth Kingdom?”

“I feel very good Mrs. Beifong; can I ask why the interest?”

“It’s a family matter,” Suyin said as Opal shut the door behind them with an eye roll.

With a soft click they were alone. Bolin stood up from his seat and joined his brother by the window. He reached out a hand and gave his brother’s shoulder a light pat.

“I’ve missed you bro, I’m glad to see you.”

“It’s been like a week,” Mako smiled, “but it’s good to see you too.”

Bolin looked out at the window, onto the palace grounds. “So, what do you think of all this?”

Mako gazed outside as well. “Well politically, this route will be a lot less messy. With Kuvira presumptively dead, it will hopefully satisfy the someone or someones out there that rigged the trial. Once the topic is no longer wrapped up with Kuvira, talking about the death penalty won’t be as heated. My only concern is if Kuvira’s worth all the trouble; it was Korra who pushed for saving Kuvira this way, right?”

The earthbender scratched the back of his head. “Well, actually it was more Suyin and Asami. They had the information and brought it to the rest of our attention with the plan part-way hatched out already. But Korra does support it, why?”

Mako quickly shook his head. “I was just curious…”

“How are you doing, with all of… that?”

“I’m fine,” Mako said curtly. “She hadn’t come up at all until you guys got here.”

Bolin started fidgeting with a tassel on the window curtain. “I’m sorry Mako, we didn’t mean to, uh… I know you’re out here to get away from it…”

“I know, I know. I didn’t mean to sound like I was accusing you,” Mako said, grabbing his forehead.

“Don’t worry, you won’t see her, you need stay here with Wu so you’re not under any suspicion and can keep him in check.”

“I can’t let you guys go on a dangerous mission without me.”

“You gotta bro, we all have to play our parts. It’s worked out perfectly that you were already out here, you’re in the place we need you to be.”

Mako didn’t respond and just crossed his arms and looked back out the window.

“Hey, we’re not going to see each other for a while after things, let’s go have some fun!” Bolin said, gently punching Mako in the shoulder. He didn’t respond but his frown started to crack. Bolin turned to face his brother and started poking his arms and stomach.

“Commooon… you know you want to.”

Mako’s frown finally broke into a smile and he swatted Bolin’s hands away. “Alright, alright!”

“Yes! Let’s hit the town!”

***

“Kuvira’s trial started this morning. Not much to say about it at this time, our inside source reports there were not many witnesses on the defendant’s side of the court, just a large group of airbenders and acolytes led by Master Tenzin. We got a statement from Avatar Korra this afternoon, she has decided to not attend the trial. Avatar Korra said quote; I do not wish to impose any influence on this trial, this trial is for the people and only the people should choose the punishment they see fit. End quote. I am a little surprised by the Avatar’s hands off approach, but it sounds to me like even the Avatar is just as ready as the rest of us are to put this all behind us. And now this week's forecast…”

Kuvira stopped listening after the radio host finished quoting the Avatar. She was hoping the news her guards listened to every night would provide some insight as to why Korra, Opal and Bolin were not at her trial, but it told her nothing. She was a fool to think they’d actually show up.

Without Korra, she knew the death penalty was imminent. The dictator was certain it was Korra’s presence at Baatar’s trial that spared his life. During fragile times like these, no one would want to vote against the Avatar’s opinion.

“I can call this all off, and let them execute you if that's what you really want, but I don’t think that it is.”

Kuvira shook her head. She had misjudged Korra, thought she was too soft and sentimental to make a real threat. “Well done Avatar, now you’re acting like a true leader.”

To be continued...

 

Chapter 16: A Walk In The Park

Notes:

Thank you ToasterMarketingBoard for editing this chapter! You're da best!

Chapter Text

Day four of Kuvira’s trial quietly came to a close. Tenzin and Jinora reported back to Korra with the feeling that tomorrow would be the final day of evidence and then it would move to the jury’s ‘deliberations.’ The group agreed that deliberations would likely take a day or two, to pretend that the jury really considered their decision.

Dinner was over and the sun was starting to set when Korra popped open the wings on her airglider. She turned towards the city and was about ready to take off when Pema raced towards her.

“Korra!” the mother called out.

“Pema?”

“You’re headed to Asami’s, right? If my daughter is there, can you remind her that she has a curfew?”

Korra grinned. “I’ll send her on home when I get there.”

“Thank you,” Pema said, patting the Avatar on the shoulder.

Korra arrived at Asami’s apartment, rapped on the door a few times and waited. She looked down at the bouquet of flowers she had ‘borrowed’ from the gardens she passed on her way over. It wasn’t as nice as the one she had purchased the other day, but the Avatar felt it made up for that in variety. After a few moments Korra tried the door again, with no answer. She could hear noise coming from inside; perhaps Asami was listening to some music, so she knocked a little louder. When no one answered Korra tried the door and fortunately it opened.

A giggling Asami and Ikki looked up at Korra as she walked into the apartment. As she suspected music was playing loudly from the phonograph. The two girls were sitting on Asami’s loveseat; their fingers had little white balls in between them, splaying them out.

“Korra!” they said in unison.

“Hey,” Korra replied, feeling a little out of place, “what are you two up to?”

“Doing our nails,” Ikki said, proudly holding her hand out. She wiggled her fingers for emphasis. “Want us to do yours?”

“That’s okay.”

Asami got up to greet her girlfriend. “You brought me more flowers? You’re too sweet. Can you air dry my nails so I can give you a proper greeting?” she asked, holding her hands out.

Korra shot a gust of air on the nails, quickly drying them.

“You’re so handy,” Asami said, draping her arms around Korra’s shoulders and giving her cheek a few pecks.

The Avatar blushed and squeezed her girlfriend’s body to hers. “I was hoping maybe we could try going for that walk.”

“Let me just put these in some water,” Asami replied, breaking the contact.

Korra took a seat across from Ikki. “Your mom’s looking for you.”

The young airbender started to slide down in her seat. “Lame.”

The Avatar smirked, leaning forward and picking up one of the small bottles of polish from the coffee table between them. “You like this kinda stuff?”

“Mhmm! I like feeling pretty.”

“Air nomads aren’t really known for their glam, are they?”

“It’s so stupid, I don’t see how makeup and fashion would make us any worse at airbending.” Ikki pouted, going to cross her arms, but then catching herself. She inspected her nails to make sure she hadn’t smudged any of the paint.

“You won’t get in trouble for that, will you?”

The young airbender examined her nails while she thought. “I don’t think so.”

Asami returned to the seating area, and stood behind Korra’s chair. She leaned over the Avatar, wrapping her arms around her neck again, and rested her chin over one of her broad shoulders. “If you do get in trouble, we can always paint your toes instead. Those are easier to hide.”

Ikki beamed and nodded. “Okay!” The young airbender held out her hands. “Korra, will you dry mine too, then I’ll leave you guys alone.”

The Avatar obliged and gave the young girl a quick hit. “Couldn’t you have done that yourself?”

“It’s better if someone can do it for you. I wouldn’t want to risk messing up the polish,” Ikki said, picking the white balls out from between her fingers.

The three girls then headed for the door. Asami grabbed a jacket off the coat rack and tucked it under her arms.

Once outside the apartment building, Ikki walked over to Asami and gave her a hug. “See you later!”

“Be careful flying back,” the engineer said, squeezing back.

The young airbender moved over to Korra and wrapped her arms around her waist. “Night Korra.”

Korra’s expression softened and she embraced the young girl back. “Night Ikki, tell Pema I won’t be coming back tonight.”

Ikki blushed and gave Korra a nod before flying off. When the girl was gone, Asami pulled out a coat she had tucked under her arm and handed it to Korra.

“I’m not cold.”

“If we’re going for a walk I want to hold your hand, and we can’t really be seen doing that yet so…”

“Why do I have to wear it?”

“You’re the Avatar, you’re more iconic,” Asami said, putting the garment on Korra for her. The Avatar sighed and let her girlfriend have her way. Once the hood was up and over Korra’s head, Asami was satisfied and took her hand. “Lead the way,” the engineer said with a squeeze.

The pair walked away from the building towards Korra’s namesake park. The sun had nearly set, and one by one the street lights flickered on.

“So… should I be worried?” Korra asked with a playful grin.

“Worried about what?”

“Ikki, Opal was teasing me about her moving in on my turf and I’m starting to believe her.”

The engineer let out a laugh. “Ikki? She’s a little young, don’t you think?”

“I’m younger than you,” Korra said, checking her shoulder into Asami’s as they walked.

Asami stopped walking, causing Korra to jerk back. Asami used the momentum to pull her girlfriend towards her and quickly captured her face with her free hand. She forcefully pressed her lips to Korra’s, and when she was met with reciprocation she deepened the kiss, stroking the Avatar’s tongue with her own. Once Asami felt she had proven her desire, she broke contact but kept her face close. Korra’s pale blue eyes searched her own.

“Korra, you think after pining over you for three years I’d be picked up by another so easily?”

Korra opened her mouth to answer, but no words came out. Asami smiled, satisfied, and started walking away without her.

“I was only teasing,” the Avatar explained as she caught up with her girlfriend, linking their hands together again. “You two have just become really close since we came back from the Spirit World.”

“We have… she and I realized we have a few things in common.” Asami felt a slight blush forming on her cheeks. “I always wanted a sibling; if my parents had more children, I don’t think life would have been so lonely after my mother passed. I had my father, but I knew he’d go before me, though not this soon... Ikki, she’s starting to feel like a little sister to me... it’s nice.”

“I think she feels the same way,” Korra said with a squeeze.

“Did you ever want siblings?” Asami asked.

“I wondered what it would have been like to have one, but they would have just been another person I’d been separated from growing up. I am happy with the family I’ve found here in Republic City. I’d say I have found a similar sisterly connection with Jinora.”

“Funny how that’s worked out. I hope the two of them get along with each other some day.”

“I’m sure they will when they’re older, and until then they’ve got us.”

The conversation died down once they reached Avatar Korra Park. It was Korra’s first time there since the renaming. They weren’t too far into the park before she could see her statue in the distance.

“You know, back in the Spirit World I had a vision of us coming to this park for our first date, but that was before I learned about your little addition to it. Now I feel like it would be kinda arrogant of me to bring you here.”

“Why start worrying about that now?”

“Hey! I’m not…” Korra started, but she stopped, knowing Asami was right.

The engineer curiously cocked her head. “Not going to finish that sentence?”

A large grin crept across Korra’s face. “So anyways, on this date, I thought we’d bring some bread so we could feed the turtle ducks. I shoulda asked you for some before we left...”

Asami looked around and spotted a lone vendor. The owner appeared to be starting to pack up, so she let go of Korra’s hand and sprinted over.

The vendor turned around, startled by a voice.

“Excuse me sir, can I buy something before you close?” Asami called out, waving the man down.

“Sure Miss,” the man said, going back to the other side of the cart.

Asami glanced at the menu; it was all meat-filled steamed buns. She shrugged, figuring they’d have to do.

“Four moo-sow buns please.”

As she paid, Korra joined her. “Steamed buns?”

“There’s bread on the outside, we can just pick around the meat filling,” Asami said, passing her girlfriend the bag of buns.

Korra grinned and looked in the bag. “Mmm, these smell good.”

“Those are for the turtle ducks!” Asami scolded, linking her arm in Korra’s. “So now this is officially our first date, right?”

“Not until we find some turtle ducks,” the Avatar replied, tucking the bag under her free arm. “We should find some over by the water.”

Not long afterwards the girls located a small family of turtle ducks, still swimming in the small stream that divided the park. They took a seat on the bank and started breaking off pieces of the dough from the steamed buns. Asami saw Korra sneak a few bites of the buns as she fed them.

Soon more of the little creatures started joining the original family, catching wind of the free meal. The girls had to start picking bits off faster to keep up with the squawks for more. Asami broke off a big chunk and tossed it into the water, then froze.

“Oops.”

Korra looked over at her girlfriend, then followed her line of sight, spotting the big piece of bread with meat bits on it. It was quickly gobbled up by the fowls and then gone.

The girls turned to each other.

“It should be fine… not like there was any turtle duck meat in there…” Asami tried to explain nervously.

Korra’s face went serious as she leaned closer to Asami’s face. “Careful Asami, that’s how it all starts.”

“What starts?” Asami whispered, feeling the need to keep the conversation between them.

“They get a taste for flesh, and pretty soon they start getting curious about other meat sources, and before you know it, they’re attacking humans. We saw that in the south, with the otter penguins.”

“What have I done!” Asami exclaimed, slapping her hands to her face.

Korra pulled out the last bun from the bag and broke it in half. A puff of steam came out as it separated. She passed Asami her half of the bun and took a big bite of her own. “It’s only a matter of time before they shut the down the park because people don’t feel safe.”

“So you’re doing everyone a favor by eating that bun?”

The Avatar nodded, shoving the rest of it into her mouth, “That’s right, you should be thanking me!”

“I’ll have to change your statue, make you holding a steamed bun in your hand,” Asami said with a wink.

Korra blushed, and directed her attention to the turtle ducks. “I can’t believe you did that…”

“Like I said at the trial, you made a great sacrifice for the Air Nation and saved our city many times. It’s well deserved, my dear Avatar.”

Once the last of Asami’s steamed bun was gone, the turtle ducks started to leave. Silently the pair watched them lazily paddle away, the parents in front and the babies staggered behind them.

Korra rested her head on Asami’s shoulder and let out a little sigh. “I’m sorry I left you the way I did the other night.”

“Were you upset with me?”

“No,” Korra replied, the paused. “I just had some doubts about the plan. I wondered if Kuvira was worth risking all our lives over.”

Asami tilted her head to meet Korra’s. “You never questioned that about a mission before.”

“The other times I was sure it was for the right cause.”

“Korra, you can’t start worrying about us now, we’re with you all the way.”

“I knooow, Raava already lectured me about it,” Korra whined, raising her head from Asami’s shoulder.

“Well you need to listen to her, she’s right.”

“I just wish I could go with them.”

Asami’s fingers sought out Korra’s. “I know, I’m stuck here the whole time. Don’t you think I’m stressing about letting you go off without me?”

“Suyin was smart to leave you out, someone needs to pay our bail if we all get arrested.”

The engineer chuckled, “So that’s the reason.”

Korra looked down at their linked hands. She felt the soft skin of the back of Asami’s hand with her thumb. “So… I’ve been thinking, when I come back, I want to tell my parents about us. I need to go visit them, will you come with me?”

Asami was startled by the racing in her heart over the proposal. “I’d love to go with you, but don’t you think it’d be kinda weird having me there while you tell them? What if they are upset about it?”

“Then we’ll leave. If it bothers them, I’ll give them the time and space to get over it, but I really don’t think it’s going to be an issue. I mean, everyone here was happy for us,” Korra said, turning to look at her girlfriend. She smiled, noticing the light blush on Asami’s cheeks. With her free hand, the Avatar reached out, and tucked the hair blocking her face behind her ear.

“Don’t be nervous, they already kinda know you, and once properly introduced, they’ll love you.”

Asami’s lips turned into a small smile. “Okay, and to seal the deal, maybe you could tell me a few of their favorite things, so I can bring them with me?”

“You want to bribe my parents?” the Avatar asked with a chuckle.

“Think of it more as a down payment on your dowry.”

Korra sat up straight in her spot. Her face quickled flushed.

“Are there any sort of Water Tribe customs I should know about?” Asami asked, batting her eyes.

“Isn’t it a little early to be asking these sorts of questions?”

“No, you want to ask these things now.”

Korra considered the question for a moment. “We don’t really have anything too specific, like the Northern Tribe and their betrothal necklaces. My people are very private, so weddings are typically just small family affairs.”

Asami looked out on the stream; all the turtle ducks were gone. The only thing on the water was the reflection of the park lights. She started to get up and Korra followed her lead.

“Well the beauty of a situation with no procedure is you get to make up your own,” the taller girl said, reaching out her hand. Korra took the hand offered to her and they started walking.

“I don’t know of any customs in my family, and if we do have them, they’re lost now. One thing I do know, is that I would want to wear my mother’s dress. She kept it, it’s made of Fire Nation silks and lace, it’s beautiful.”

Korra looked over at Asami as she spoke. Whenever her girlfriend spoke of her belated family she noticed the twinkle in her eyes. She couldn’t imagine having no blood relations left at twenty-two. Even if something happened to her parents she at least had her cousins, and more realistically Tenzin and his family. Katara was basically a grandmother or great aunt to her… wife in a past life. That family was living proof that bonds can transcend lifetimes.

Asami, she only had memories now, and the close circle of friends she’d made. Korra’s heart swelled with admiration of her girlfriend’s strength and resilience in the face of all she had lost. Even though it was way too soon, way, way too soon, Korra thought again for emphasis, she couldn’t help but entertain the pleasant thought of formally making Asami part of her family. The Avatar cocked her head, inspecting her girlfriend’s neck, and decided that when the time came, maybe she could borrow from her cousins to the north. A betrothal necklace would look really nice there.

To be continued...

Chapter 17: Ready, Set, Go!

Notes:

Many many thanks to ToasterMarketingBoard for editing this chapter!

Chapter Text

The shrill ring of Asami’s bedroom phone shook both girls from their deep sleep. Korra rolled over with a groan, pulling her pillow on top of her head to muffle the sound. Asami got up and padded across her room to pick up the receiver.

“Sato residence.”

“Asami, it’s Suyin,” the matriarch replied curtly over the phone.

“Suyin, what’s the news?”

“The ship is all prepped and ready to go. What’s the forecast for the end of the trial?”

“Uh, let me ask Korra.” Asami covered the mouthpiece of the phone and turned to the bed. “Korra?”

The only response was another groan. The older girl rolled her eyes.

“C’mon Korra, this is serious.”

The Avatar peaked out from under her pillow. “What?”

“When are Jinora and Tenzin predicting the trial to be over?”

“Today.”

Asami put the receiver back to her ear. “It’s expected to be over today.”

“Then we will plan on leaving this evening. We want to be in the area before they start transporting her.”

“Were you able to connect with Mako and Prince Wu?”

“Yes, they were not aware of the situation. Fortunately the boys are with us and will be attempting to take control of the delivery of you-know-who so there is no resistance.”

“What do you need us to do in the meantime?”

“Call my ship once the verdict is announced.”

“Understood.”

There was a pause.

“How is Korra doing? She seemed a bit off when we parted.”

“She’s fine, just concerned about you all going out there without her.”

“Mmm… Korra isn’t very good at sitting on the sidelines,” Suyin said, more to herself than Asami.

“She is not.”

“Once she joins us, you’ll be our only man on the outside, you know. Think you can handle it?”

“I’ve got Tenzin, I don’t think he’ll be joining Korra and Lin.”

“That is true.”

“Korra did tell me you’re leaving me here to pay the bail money.”

Suyin laughed. “I didn’t think of that, but it’s a smart idea. Well, we need to get going, I’ll expect a call from you in a few days.”

“Sounds good.”

Asami hung up the phone and turned back toward the bed. Korra appeared to have fallen back asleep during the conversation. Asami was wide awake now, so she headed out of the room to start working on breakfast.

The engineer switched on her radio before rummaging in her kitchen for food.

‘This just in, only an hour into today’s session of Kuvira’s trial and it was declared over. The jury members were swiftly escorted out of the courtroom to begin their deliberations. Yesterday we heard some impassioned speeches from the Air Nation asking the jury to spare Kuvira’s life, but our courtroom expert still thinks it’s a fifty-fifty chance the jury will decide on the death penalty. This of course would be the first in Republic City's history. I’ll be back this afternoon with any updates from the courthouse, and now we go to the weather…’

Asami turned the dial to a music station.

“Fifty-fifty my butt…” she murmured as she started whisking a bowl of batter.

***

It was the third meeting of the day and it wasn’t even noon. Wu felt his eyelids start to droop. He just needed to hang in there until lunch time, counting on food to give him a second wind for the afternoon meetings to follow. The prince glanced down at his notebook; he had stopped taking notes hours ago and had been doodling on and off.

If Mako was here he would at least have someone to have the occasional side conversation with, but he had stopped attending meetings after the Beifong visit. The firebender had gone into full detective mode and had become suspicious of everyone around them. Wu personally didn’t think the arrangement to have Kuvira executed was any more than a few vengeful leaders wanting to ensure she got the harshest punishment possible. Not one person in the Earth Kingdom could say they were not affected by Kuvira’s actions in some way. Many of the state leaders present had been made to hand their territories and resources over to the dictator.

Wu let out an audible sigh. After explaining all of that to Mako, he claimed that just because there is an obvious explanation, doesn’t mean it’s the correct one. So he yielded and cut the firebender loose. Wu had to admit Mako was in better spirits since getting back into his old field. The firebender seemed pretty sullen when they left Republic City, despite being the one insisting on coming out here. The prince had tried to get him to talk, but he denied over and over that there was anything wrong. Wu couldn’t help but wonder if it was more girl trouble; it was something the detective was good at getting into.

The prince sighed again. ‘If only he’d stop chasing girls for a while and notice the healthy relationship right in front of him.’

Mako was a detective, but hadn’t caught a single clue Wu dropped in his lap.

‘Or he’s ignoring them…’ he thought to himself.

Wu always knew he liked men and women and was never ashamed to pursue either. It wasn’t until he learned he was next in line for the throne that he had to hide one of his preferences from the public eye. Now that he was disbanding the monarchy, he really couldn’t care less about what any of the stuffy senators and statesmen thought.

Wu started to notice people getting up, so he too began to gather his belongings. Waiting outside the throne room was Mako. Wu smiled; the firebender was playing dark and mysterious, with his back resting against the wall and eyes cast down on the floor. As if sensing his presence, Mako looked up and spotted Wu.

“Lunch?” Mako asked.

Wu’s smile grew wider. “Lead the way!”

***

It was late in the afternoon. Mako was resting on the couch in Wu’s bedroom. He had decided to make it his own sleeping quarters until the whole situation with Kuvira was put to bed. He allowed himself to completely stretch out his legs; the couch was more than big enough for sleeping. Mako wondered who this bedroom belonged to originally, considering its size.

His eyes had just started closing when the phone rang. Mako perked up right away and stumbled over himself to answer it.

“Hello?” he asked into the receiver.

“Mako?” the female voice on the other end of the line asked.

“Asami.”

There was a brief pause. Mako felt his stomach clench and heart start to race; it had been weeks since he had spoken to her.

The firebender cleared his throat. “So uh, what’s up?”

“Suyin wanted me to let you and Wu know that the verdict already came back, they’re going to execute.”

“Shit, already?”

“Deliberations started this morning, the jury didn’t even bother pretending like they gave the decision any real consideration.”

“Well I should go find Wu, we don’t have much time to work with.”

“Okay, just a heads up, Suyin is having me be the point of contact, she can only be reached by radio now. I’ll be camped in my office, since I have a radio there.You remember my office number?”

“Yeah.”

“I will touch base with you tomorrow morning, around six AM your time.”

“Okay,” Mako said, nodding, “hopefully we’ll have some good news by then.”

The conversation stopped, followed by another long pause.

“Mako… I…” Asami started.

“Who ya talking to?” Mako heard Korra’s voice ask in the background.

“I’ll call you tomorrow,” the engineer said hastily as she hung up.

The firebender slowly hung up the phone. Once the receiver was out of his hand he let out the breath he didn’t know he was holding.

“Gotta find Wu…” Mako said aloud, nodding his head to reassure himself. “You can do this.”

***

Asami placed the phone was back on its cradle. She then turned around to face her girlfriend, who was shutting the apartment door behind her.

“It was Mako, I just told him the news.”

Korra walked closer. “You talked to Suyin too?”

“Yes, they’re in transit now.”

The Avatar flexed her shoulders and then shoved her hands into her pockets. “This is all happening really fast, but I’ve still got a lot of to waiting to do.”

“That’s the name of the game, hurry up and wait,” Asami said, sitting down on her loveseat. She patted the spot next to her and Korra dutifully sat down.

“We need to say goodbye for a while, until this is all over. You need to be at the Air Temple and in the public eye, and I need to be completely disassociated. I’m going to be staying at my office, so I can be by the radio. If there’s an emergency, send Ikki.”

“How about I just see if she can stay there with you, keep you company?”

Asami smirked and leaned closer. “You’re not worried about us being cooped up alone together in my office?”

“Not a bit,” Korra replied, leaning back into the couch. “I never asked, is she...?”

“She's a bit young... but she thinks so.”

“So that's your thing in common.”

“That, and a few others,” Asami replied, flipping her hair.

“Well, if things do go bad, at least I know in a few years there'll be someone around who can take my place.”

“You're terrible,” Asami giggled, knocking her shoulder into her girlfriend’s.

“Can you at least come to the temple to sleep?” Korra whispered.

“No, I can't leave the radio, Suyin's orders,” the older girl said, leaning closer. She pinched a few of Korra's short brown locks between her thumb and fingers. Asami smiled; she really did like her girlfriend's new hair style. “You should get going, before I change my mind.”

The comment caused the Avatar to grin and she started nuzzling the girl beside her. “I don't want to go.”

“Are you a puppy now?”

“This is what Naga does when she knows I'm leaving,” Korra said, leaning her body weight on Asami and starting to make loud sniffing sounds as she nuzzled.

The engineer giggled when Korra's exaggerated sniffing tickled her ear. She tried to push the Avatar off, but was too clumsy from laughing. “Okay, that's enough!”Asami was able to breathlessly get out between fits of laughter. Korra stopped her attack and rested her head on her girlfriend’s chest, and mimicked Naga's whine.

Asami looked down at Korra's big blue eyes and sighed. Her breathing slowly returned to normal. She eventually reached out and combed back the hair that covered Korra's face. “I'm gonna miss you too goofball.”

***

When Mako found Wu he was already in a meeting discussing the news about Kuvira. He tried to act casual as he took a seat across from Wu at the large table. The people in the room didn't even acknowledge Mako's late arrival and continued speaking. To his relief a few others arrived after him.

The Governor of Yi rose to address the table. “We have yet to decide if we want the execution to be open to the public or if we should keep it limited to just government officials and party leaders.”

The room filled with murmurs at the statement.

A man Mako recognized as a representative from Omashu spoke out. “I took a look at the design for this 'lightning chair' we had commissioned and I don't think the public should be subjected to an experimental death machine. We have no idea how long this could take or how gruesome it will be.” He began passing around copies of the design.

Hushed conversations broke out as they looked over the paper. One made it into the firebender’s hands and he quickly examined the illustration. The signature of the late Hiroshi Sato jumped out right away and he silently prayed Asami had not agreed to make this device, even as a cover.

Mako cleared his throat. “Who made the chair, do we have it here on site?”

“Cabbage Corp, we'll be picking up the chair in Republic City when we collect Kuvira,” said a statesman from Gaoling.

Mako rose from his seat, with the paper still in hand. “As some of you may know, I am a fire and lightning bender; given the electrical nature of the chair I'd be happy to escort the crew for the pickup. You never know what could happen with an experimental device like this when exposed to changes in cabin pressure.” The firebender sought out Wu's eye as he sat back down. He could tell the prince was not happy with the sudden change in their plan.

The representative from Omashu nodded. “I think that's a good idea. We want this to go as smoothly as possible, so we can put this whole mess behind us.”

Wu raised his hand. “I agree, and I’d like to volunteer for coordinating the ship for the pickup. Mako and I can get started on it now, so it can leave as soon as possible. I trust you all to decide the execution plans and I will support whichever decision you come to.”

The room murmured with a positive response.

“Thank you Wu,” another statesman called out.

The two young men got up from their seats and started to leave the throne room. Wu was halfway down the hall by the time Mako was shutting the door closed.

“Wu, wait up!” Mako called out, running to catch up with the prince. “I’m sorry, but I saw an opportunity for an in, and I took it.”

Wu stopped and turned around. “We had a plan.”

“We did, but I didn’t even get a chance to find out if you were even able to execute it, this all happened so fast, it was Asami who told me the verdict.”

“Well that’s what you get for skipping out on the meetings,” the prince said with a huff.

“What I’ve been doing is just as important. Besides, this won’t mess with the basic part of the plan, and now I can make sure everything goes smoothly. I never liked the idea of sending a crew without anyone we knew we could trust.”

“Well, now you’re going to be under a lot more suspicion when this goes down, which was the point of having us stay here.”

Mako confidently crossed his arms, “I can handle it.”

Wu let out a long sigh. “When did I start being the level headed one?”

“So, who did you have in mind for our crew?”

***

Wu led Mako down a series of halls until they came to a door labeled as ‘staff quarters’ which brought them into the staff wing of the palace. He noted the major shift in decoration. The royalty wanted to make sure their staff knew where they stood. They finally stopped in front of a door and Wu knocked twice, then once, and then twice again. Shortly after the boys heard the lock click and they opened the door.

“Hey cousin!”

“Tu?” Mako said, blinking a few times.“What are you doing here?”

“Helping you outta this jam.”

Mako turned to a grinning Wu. “I don’t understand?”

“We worked together in the evacuation and stayed in touch. When I found out he was back in Ba Sing Se to help the reconstruction we met up for lunch and shopping.”

“Shopping?” the firebender asked, bewildered.

Tu stepped up to his cousin and rested a hand on his shoulder. “Dude, fashion, weightlifting and fruit are my passions. Wu gets it, and when he told me you needed a crew for a secret mission I gathered a bunch of my buds and here we are.”

Wu turned to Mako. “So?”

“I gotta hand it to you, this is pretty brilliant.” The firebender turned and looked around the room at the twelve or so muscular young men. He couldn’t help but nod approvingly; put these guys in a uniform and no one would give them a second glance.

Wu walked to the center of the room. “We’re going to have you guys ship out tomorrow, and Mako will be accompanying you. Be in uniform at the airship dock at sunrise.”

The young men nodded as the prince spoke. Wu walked back over to Tu and reached out his hand. “Thank you again, Tu.”

Tu shook the offered hand and placed the free one behind his head. “Anytime, Bro.”

Mako extended his hand to his cousin as well. “Really, this is a huge help.”

“It’s no big deal. We should all hang when it’s over.”

When Wu and Mako were outside of the room, a panic struck the firebender. He stopped dead in his tracks.

“What about a pilot? None of these guys look like they know how to fly!”

Wu chuckled and slapped Mako on the forearm. “We’re using my personal pilot, of course.”

“The one that flew us back to Ba Sing Se? When did he become your ‘personal’ pilot?”

“Yan Yan was part of my royalty severance package. The states knew I was giving up a lot of wealth by stepping down, so they made sure I was taken care of,” Wu said, walking ahead of Mako.

“What else did they give you?”

The prince shrugged as he kept walking.“Access to the royal airships, Yan Yan included, a small diplomatic position, once this ‘new government thing’ is all figured out, and a quaint little home in the upper ring.”

***

The Sun had just barely begun to rise over the inner ring wall when the gang all met at the airdock. Tu and his crew were perfectly disguised as military grunts, right down to their formation.

Yan Yan, who was quite old and small, hobbled out of the ship and made his way over to Wu.

“She’s ready when you all are,” the little man murmured.

“Great, they’re ready to go.” Wu turned to the group. “All aboard, boys!”

The guards had nearly finished getting in when a woman started running towards them.

“WAIT!”

Mako and Wu looked behind them to see who it was, but they did not recognize her.

“Yes?” the firebender asked, cocking his head.

The woman bent over; her breaths were ragged, as if she had been running for a while. “I’m. Going. With. You.” she got out between gasps.

Wu bent down to her level. “Uh, who are you?”

“Yasmine. I’m in charge of coordinating the collection of the prisoner and package from Cabbage Corp,” Yasmine said, finally able to stand normally, though her breathing was still shallow.

Mako and Wu looked at each other in a panic. “Uh… no one told us about you coming on this trip…”

“Well you’re not getting Kuvira or the chair without me. I have the authorization and all the documents. You can’t fly into Republic City and expect them to hand over a deadly war criminal to just anyone.” Yasmine brushed past the two and headed towards the stairs into the ship.

“Shit,” Mako cursed once Yasmine was out of earshot.

“What are we gonna do?” Wu asked, grabbing his head. “I’m now very happy that you’re going with them.”

The firebender smiled. “I knew it was a good idea.”

“But it doesn’t technically solve our little problem! What are you going to do with her?”

Mako held his chin and closed his eyes. He had not considered this scenario. “When the ship goes down, I gotta make sure she goes out.”

“You can’t kill her!” Wu shouted, but then quickly covered his mouth.

“I’m not gonna kill her, I just need to knock her out for a bit.”

Wu threw his hands into the air. “That’s all, just knock some government official unconscious and hope she doesn’t remember!”

Mako grabbed Wu by the shoulders and gave him a shake. “Freaking out isn’t going to fix the situation, I’ll take care of it. You got go hang by the phone because Asami is going to call, and she needs to tell Suyin we have an uninvited guest.”

The firebender softened his expression and gave Wu’s shoulders a squeeze. “I got this.”

Mako let go and headed toward the airship. The prince sighed as he watched him go.

“Bye Mako...”

***

The sun was as high as it was going to climb, five hours into group’s twelve hour flight. Mako had decided to keep Yan Yan company in the bridge of the airship. The small man had a little personal radio by his side and had been playing soft jazz since they took off.  It was starting to make the firebender feel like he was stuck in a elevator, so he excused himself. When Mako entered the main deck of the ship it was empty. Tu and the boys were likely sleeping and Yasmine had shut herself away in one of the airship’s private rooms, much to Mako’s relief. The less time he and Tu’s gang had to pretend around her the better.

He had to admit part of him was glad she was there to do all the talking in Republic City; having her there fully legitimized their operation. He just needed to figure out a good way to take her down, at the exact moment when they ‘pretended’ to crash. It was times like these Mako wish he knew a chi blocker, or knew the technique himself.

Mako was taken out of his thoughts when he heard a soft click. He looked up to see Yasmine closing the door behind her, a folder tucked in one arm. Now that he was no longer in panic mode, the firebender got a chance to take a good look at the uninvited guest.

If he had to guess, from Yasmine’s dark tan skin and pale green eyes she was a mix of Earth Kingdom and Water Tribe parents; something not commonly seen outside of Republic City, and even in the United Republic territories it was rare. Water Tribe folk didn’t seem to marry outside of their people often. Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom marriages were the most common, considering how closely they lived, and from the Fire Nation’s occupation during the war.

Her style reminded him a bit of Asami’s; professional business attire, with an eye for higher fashion. Yasmin’s rye-colored hair was up in a messy bun, and held together with a decorative jade hair comb. What really caught Mako’s attention was Yasmine’s long slender legs, as they were right in his eye line as she took a seat next to him and flipped open her file. She thumbed a few sheets before selecting one to take out and place on top.

“Are you familiar with Cabbage Corp’s downtown location in Republic City? I have their address,” Yasmine asked, passing over the paper.

Mako took it without looking. “Ye-yeah.” His heart suddenly started to pound at the closeness of woman beside him.

She smiled and looked back down on her notes. “I must admit I’m kind of excited, I’ve never been to Republic City before. When I heard of this opportunity to visit, even for just a day, I took it.”

“I actually live there, I’m just in the Earth Kingdom to help out with the new government planning.”

“We’re going to have some down time after we arrive this afternoon. Legally we have to give the pilot a rest, so we won’t be taking off until the next morning. Do you think you could show me around?”

Mako’s brain started to scream as the words “Sure, I’d be happy to, escaped his lips.

Yasmine smiled and took back the paper Mako was still holding. She tucked it back into her folder and stood up. “Wonderful! I figure we can pick up and load the chair from Cabbage Corp after we arrive and then give the crew the evening off. We’ll then go to the prison in the morning to collect Kuvira and take back off. I’ve inspected all the rooms, and I think it would be safest to just have her out here on the deck. That way we can comfortably fit at least four guards watching her at all times. I don’t trust her for a second, you know?”

“Sounds good to me, you’re the boss… right?” Mako said hesitantly.

“Technically, yes, but I value your input,” the woman said with a wink. “I never did catch your name….”

“Mako…”

“Nice to meet you Mako, well I’m going to go rest, let me know when we’ve landed.”

The firebender nodded and watched her walk away.

“I’m in deep shit.”

 

To be continued...

Chapter 18: Know Your Role

Notes:

Thank you ToasterMarketingBoard for editing this chapter!

Chapter Text

The afternoon sky was tinted pink as the Earth Kingdom airship began its descent through the clouds and towards Republic City. Yasmine watched from a window on the bridge; her heart started to beat with excitement. She had to remind herself, there was still some work to be done before she could go out and conquer the town. She had a feeling that if she successfully pulled off this delivery she would prove her willingness to get hands-on in the Earth Kingdom’s operations. This trip could be the big step for her career, out of administration and into management. Yasmine was determined to make it a success.

The landing onto Republic City’s air dock was uneventful. Yasmine, Mako and the crew exited the aircraft and were swiftly met by a formally dressed man. He took a deep bow when he reached the group.

“Welcome to Republic City. My name is Kong and I am here representing Cabbage Corp. We have the chair crated and ready to be loaded. It’s just over there in our hangar.”

Yasmine clasped her hands together. “Wonderful! That saves us a lot of trouble.”

Kong smiled and gestured towards a nearby hangar building. “If you wouldn’t mind just stepping into our office to sign a few papers…”

After the paperwork was completed and the payment exchanged, Kong and Yasmine met the group back by the airship. The two different crews had begun loading the chair onto the airship. Yasmine quickly noticed her people were just standing on the sidelines and the Cabbage Corp crew was doing all the loading.

Mako waved to her and then quickly jogged over. He placed a hand behind his head and started scratching. “So… we all good?” the firebender asked nervously.

Yasmine nodded and held up a small booklet. “We are, and I’ve got the manual. I’ll let you hang onto it, since you’re in charge of safety.”

Mako took the booklet and smiled. “Yes, thank you.”

Kong butted in between the two. “Nothing to worry about, this device is one hundred percent safe and that is a Cabbage Corp guarantee!”

“Well I can speak for the Earth Kingdom in saying we are grateful for all your assistance in this matter. We’re just a little over-cautious because of who we’re transporting, more than what , right Mako?”

“Yeah… Kuvira’s the main concern,” the firebender said, nodding.

Kong smiled, satisfied with the explanation. He reached out and shook their hands and then made his exit.

Yasmine leaned over to Mako and in a hushed tone said “I’m glad you’re here, that chair-thing makes me nervous. I just didn’t want to offend him.”

“No worries.”

“Great, so now I just need to call President Raiko and our work will be done. After that we can go play!” Yasmine giggled.

“Yeah... I’ll go let the crew know they’re done for the day,” Mako said, gesturing behind him.

“Sounds good. I’ll meet you in front of the ship in roughly an hour!”

***

Korra and the airbender family were just sitting down for dinner when an acolyte slid open the door and poked her head through it.

“Um… there’s a young man here to see the Avatar.”

All eyes turned to Korra, to see if she was expecting the visitor, but she just shrugged her shoulders.

“Send him in?” Korra asked, looking to Tenzin. He nodded and then started to stroke his beard.

The acolyte quickly returned with a muscular young man in an Earth Kingdom military uniform and a gold bandana. “Sorry to interrupt you all, but I need to speak with Korra.”

Pema stood up from her spot. “It’s Tu, right? Mako and Bolin’s cousin.”

“Oh hey, you’re the lady who sang all those airbender songs.”

“I knew he looked familiar!” Meelo shouted, crossing his arms.

The room relaxed and Pema took her seat again. She gestured to Tu to sit down as well. He took an empty spot between Korra and Meelo.

“Avatar Korra, I’m here to let you know that Mako has arrived from the Earth Kingdom to pick up Kuvira. Me and some of my buds are disguised as his crew.”

The Avatar smiled, relieved. “Great, so there won’t be any struggle when you guys do the exchange with Suyin and the others.”

“Well there’s uh, one hiccup. We got this lady riding with us who's with the Earth Kingdom Government. She just kinda showed up at the last minute and said we couldn’t leave her cos she had all the papers to get Kuvira.”

“What’s her name?” Tenzin asked, leaning forward.

“Yasmine something?” Tu replied with a shrug. “I don’t think she’s anything special.”

Korra took a bite of her food “mwars Mmmako?”

“He’s out entertaining her. She was all jazzed about visiting the city. So while he’s distracting her tonight, Mako wanted me to ask if you guys had any idea how to knock her unconscious, but like safely?”

“Don’t you think that’s a little extreme?” Jinora asked.

Tu crossed his arms. “You got a better idea?”

The Avatar took a few more bites of her dinner, racking her brain. She thought of all the times she was knocked out, and then it hit her. “We should give you Asami’s electric glove!” Korra turned to Ikki, who was sitting between her parents at the other end of the table. “That reminds me, Ikki did you want to spend some extra time with Asami? She’s going to be camped up in her office until this is all over.”

“Would I!” Ikki exclaimed, hopping out of her seat. “Mom?”

Pema looked over to Korra. “Ikki wouldn’t be in any danger, would she?”

“No, no. Asami’s in her office to radio between us and Suyin. She’s not getting involved in any other way.”

“Well if Ikki wants to...”

Ikki jumped up and down a few times. “Yes! It will be like a sleepover! I’m gonna go pack!”

Korra jumped up. “Wait, go get the glove first and come right back. You can pack your stuff after.”

“Oh, okay!” Ikki said, changing directions to go out a different door.

Pema followed her daughter out and missed her taking off. She cupped her hands over her mouth. “Don’t play around with that glove, just come right back!”

“Yes Mooooooom!” Ikk called out behind her.

***

About an hour later the young airbender returned to the dining room with a duffel bag.

“Got it, and a suit too!” Ikki announced to the group.

Everyone looked around wondering what Ikki meant by a suit. She pulled a dark green and brown ball of clothing from the bag and laid it out on the table.

“An equalist uniform?” Tenzin asked.

The young airbender beamed and reached back into the bag. She fished around and pulled out the requested glove. “Asami thought it would be a good idea if they had a disguise, in case she sees them first. That, and an equalist outfit would be a good redhair? red head? red-”

“Red herring,” Tenzin clarified as he reached out and inspected the glove. “It’s a good idea.”

Tu walked over and looked out the outfit. “None of my buds are gonna fit into that tight outfit. Looks like Mako’s gonna have to be the one to do it.”

“I’m going to go get packed now,” Ikki declared, then scurried out of the room. After she shut the door, it quickly opened back up and the acolyte from before poked her head in.

“There is someone else here to see the Avatar...”

Korra turned to Tu. “You should go, just in case. Jinora, can you sneak him out the back?”

“Okay...” the eldest child said, getting up from the floor. “We can go through the temple.”

Tu followed Jinora out of the room. Korra turned back to the acolyte. “You can let them in.”

“You’re popular tonight Korra,” Pema teased as she started to clear dishes from the table.

The acolyte returned to the room with President Raiko.

“Sorry to interrupt you all this evening,” the President said, looking around the room.

Tenzin stood from his seat and gestured to the table. “Raiko, please have a seat. Can we get you some tea?”

Tenzin turned to his wife to make sure she heard this while she was cleaning up. Pema gave him a wink before leaving the room.

“That would be wonderful,” the President replied, taking Tu’s old spot between Korra and Meelo.

The young boy eyed the man and then stood up himself. “Well, this is going to be boring, I’m out!” Meelo announced as he headed to the door.

“Go help your mother with the tea, first!” Tenzin called out.

“Fiiine...” the boy whined, dragging his feet behind him.

The old airbender sighed and rubbed his forehead for a moment. “Kids…”

Raiko lifted a hand.“It’s fine, I’ll be brief.” He then turned to face the Avatar. “Korra, I know you didn’t want to be involved in the trials, but would you mind being at the docks tomorrow for the hand off of Kuvira? I just want to make sure everything goes smoothly.”

“Yeah, I can do that. I don’t have to say anything do I?” Korra asked.

“No, that is fine. I just want you there for security purposes. Kuvira doesn’t have much to lose tomorrow.”

“Raiko, you haven’t spoken publicly  about these trials, I’m curious what your opinion is about Kuvira’s sentence,” Tenzin asked, mindlessly stroking his beard.

Raiko cleared his throat. “I’m not too in favor of the death penalty. People forget, you allow something like that for others, it could very well happen to you. As a man in politics you always need to keep an eye on your own head. I thought since we don’t have an official policy on capital punishment, it was best if  the Earth Kingdom did it off our territory. I was hoping we could have a formal meeting about our nation's policy, now that the emotion of the trials is over.”

“We were hoping that as well, and I personally would be happy to assist in facilitating it.”

Meelo returned with a tray of tea. He passed cups to Raiko, Tenzin and Korra, setting each cup down with an exaggerated thud. The young airbender took a deep and dramatic bow before leaving the room.  

Tenzin rolled his eyes as he sipped his tea. “As I was saying, I’d be happy to get that in the works.”

***

The sun had long since set over Republic City when Mako and Yasmine entered Avatar Korra Park. It was their last stop for the evening before returning to the airship for the night.

It had been shy of two weeks since Mako had left Republic City, but it felt like years. Maybe it was seeing the city with a person experiencing it for the first time that made it feel so foreign.

Mako hated to admit it, but he’d had a good time this evening. He had taken Yasmine to a lot of the tourist spots and a few places he used to frequent himself. Korra's park, however, was not one of the places he wanted to go to, but Yasmine had insisted. Word of the Avatar statue had apparently spread far. It reminded Mako how little he, and probably the rest of the group, were aware of Korra's influence. To them she was Korra, in many ways just a person, but to the outside, she was this mysterious and mythical figure.

It wasn't long before he was looking up at Korra's face. Yasmine gasped and put her hands together. She took a few steps closer to the towering statue. “This is amazing! It's so big! Is it bigger than the statue of Avatar Aang?”

“I don't think so. Avatar Aang's statue’s so far away it's hard to tell its actual size.”

Yasmine started walking around the base of the statue. “She's really something, huh?”

Mako felt the burned skin of his arm twinge. It didn't hurt, it just made him very aware of the large patch of scar tissue. “Yeah…”

Yasmine finished her loop around the statue and walked back over to Mako. She squinted her eyes and then stepped closer. “I knew you looked familiar! You're one of the Avatar's friends, right? You're part of 'Team Avatar’!”

“Yeah…”

“I knew it! I saw you in the paper after she took down Kuvira! What's Avatar Korra like?” Yasmine said as she started to lead Mako away from the statue.

“Korra she's…” Mako started, “she’s brave, strong… and loyal, almost to a fault... She’s got this magnetic personality, that drags you in and you can't help but want to follow her on some crazy mission.”

“And she's pretty gorgeous to boot. Though she's kinda muscular for a woman, I could see that scaring off a lot of guys. Republic City's awfully lucky having two Avatars in a row. I wonder if I'll ever get to see the Earth Kingdom Avatar.”

Mako winced at the thought. An Earth Kingdom Avatar would mean Korra was dead. He looked over at his companion. He knew Yasmine didn't realize what she was implying.

“Watch, they'll move to Republic City anyways...” Yasmine continued.

A little while later Mako and Yasmine made it back to the airship. All the lights were out; Tu and the boys had likely gone to bed.

After they entered the ship's main deck, they left the lights off, but could still make each other out with the soft glow of the air dock lights. Yasmine stopped and faced Mako.

“Listen Mako, I wanted to thank you for taking me around the city tonight. That was above and beyond your job.”

Mako shoved his hands in his pockets. “It was no problem, I would have been doing that tonight anyways.”

“Well, either way, it was sweet of you. I'll be sure to put in a good word for you when we get back to the Earth Kingdom.”

The firebender felt a knot starting to form in his stomach. “Yeah, thanks.”

“Goodnight!” Yasmine said with a smile, and headed to her room.

“Night.”

Once she was out of sight Mako let out a long breath.

“Mako!”

The firebender jumped at his name. He turned around to see Tu coming towards him from the darkness.

“You scared the crap outta me! How long have you been in here?” Mako asked in a hushed tone.

“I’ve just been sitting up waiting for you to get back. So, you have fun on your little date?”

“Not funny Tu. So did Korra and the gang have any ideas for us?”

Tu smiled and shoved the duffel into Mako's arms. “They got you an outfit and everything.”

Mako opened the duffel and recognized the face mask right away. “An equalist uniform? What am I gonna do, scare her unconscious?”

“Naw brah, it’s to go with the electric glove.”

“I don’t know if I can do this anymore…” Mako said, trying to pass the duffel back to Tu, but he already had his hands up defensively.

“You gotta, you’re the only one who’s fitting into that. C'mon, let's go to bed, we got a big day tomorrow,” Tu said, patting his cousin on the shoulder before disappearing into the dark hall.

Mako hauled the bag over his shoulder and followed. “Damnit.”

***

“This is so exciting! I've never had a real sleepover before,” Ikki said enthusiastically as she started to lay out her bedroll.

Asami had a couch in her office and had already prepped it for the few days she would be sleeping on it. She sat on the couch while watching Ikki made her own bed for the night. “Well I'm happy you were willing to keep me company while I'm camped out up here.”

“Did you have a lot of sleepovers growing up?” the young airbender asked, sitting down on top of her made bedroll, facing the older girl.

“No, not really. I didn't have a lot of friends. Coming from a wealthy family was pretty isolating in school.”

“Mmm, I can relate to that, I mean not the rich part, Air Nomads are supposed to live in poverty, but being like the last of your people and shut away on an island. It can be super lonely. I was excited when we got all the new airbenders, but none of them are my age. Lucky Jinora, she found a boyfriend like right away.”

“I thought they weren’t officially dating till a year ago?”

“You know what I mean. Of course Jinora would find another airbender her age and I bet she's gonna go off with Korra on this mission... do you ever feel left out?”

Asami grabbed a pillow and clutched it to her chest. Her fingers toyed with the tassels. “Sometimes... but I can't bend, so in a big fight I'm more of a liability than a help.”

“But you’ve fought before!”

“Little fights, yes, but I’ve never taken down any big powerful benders or anything like that.” The older girl pulled her legs up on the the couch and rested her chin on the pillow now sandwiched between her chest and knees. “It's interesting, I never felt insecure about being a non-bender until I starting fighting alongside you guys…”

Ikki perked up in her seat and opened her mouth to speak, but Asami quickly cut her off.

“It doesn't bother me so much now. I know that there are lots of things I can do that most people can't, bender and non-bender alike. Sometimes I just wish I could be there, beside her, watching her back…”

“Korra's?” the young airbender asked, leaning forward.

“Yes, it's a selfish desire; fortunately I know that the people she's with will take care of her and she will take care of them. And I help Korra in the ways that I can.”

“I don’t think it’s selfish wanting to be there for her.”

Asami cast her eyes down. “It is, because I would be doing it for my own peace of mind, at the cost of her own. It’s important to know your role.”

“That sounds boring,” Ikki said, slumping down in her seat.

The older looked up and over at Ikki. “It can be. Like what we’re doing right now? But I know that we are the communication link between all of our friends out there, and we can help make sure this all goes smoothly. I remind myself that even though it’s not always glamorous, it’s important.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right.”

“Now you my dear, may get to go on some great adventures some day-”

“When I’m older,” Ikki interrupted. “And I’ll take you along with me.”

Asami smiled. “It’s a plan.”

***

There was still a chill in the air when Yasmine and her crew started preparing the airship for Kuvira. During the setup, the area around the ship had been sectioned off by Republic City police with large sawhorses and bright tape. Already there was a curious crowd pressing up against the barriers.

It was a little after eight and the only thing left to do was move the dictator onto the ship, and then they could take off. Yasmine soon saw the flashing lights from a police car, and then another. Four police cars in total surrounded a boxy-looking vehicle that she assumed must be carrying Kuvira. Yasmine felt her heart begin to race, and her palms get slick. She tried to wipe them on her skirt but it was no use.  It was finally sinking in that she was about to be taking a twelve hour flight with the villain of the decade and it would be her responsibility that she did not escape.

What have I gotten myself into?’ Yasmine asked internally.

The lead police car drove a little past them and then stopped. Out of the vehicle stepped an official-looking older woman with grey hair, and the Avatar.

“I’m glad Lin and Korra are here,” Mako said to himself, jerking Yasmine out of her thoughts. In her panic she had forgotten he was standing next to her.

Mako waved and walked up to the two women. Yasmine stood where she was; a second wave of anxiety washed over her when she realized the Avatar was five feet away from her. No, the Avatar was walking up to her right now!

Yasmine stared down at the hand Korra offered her. Mako was saying something but she couldn’t hear it over the sound of her heart beating out of her chest.

Miraculously she was able to get out,“nice to meet you Avatar Korra.”

The Avatar smiled and shook her hand firmly. The older woman next to Korra just gave her a nod, but no shake. Yasmine determined that was fine because in that moment she was considering never washing that hand again.

The attention moved off Yasmine when all the vehicles had parked, including the one more fancy-looking Satomobile. The three left her side and headed towards the expensive-looking one.

“Okay, keep it together, this is your moment Yasmine,” the young woman said to herself as she followed after them.

President Raiko stepped out of the rear of the Satomobile accompanied by his wife. He gave the four a small wave as he walked over.

“Alright, let’s get this over with,” the President murmured as he adjusted his suit jacket.

Yasmine took a step closer and shot out her hand. “President Raiko, it’s a pleasure to meet you. I’m Yasmine, we spoke on the phone yesterday.”

Raiko took her hand and gave it a quick shake. “Right, you and your crew ready?”

“We are,” Yasmine said, trying to sound enthusiastic. “I’ll go grab them.”

The young woman was disappointed when Mako chose to stay with the group instead of joining her. She had to remind herself, he knew these people, and probably hadn’t seen them in a while.

Once Yasmine rallied the Earth Kingdom crew they all met up at the back of the vehicle holding Kuvira. Two Republic City police officers stood on either side of the double door. At the command of the grey-haired woman the officers each opened the door on their side.

The crowd began to murmur and gasp at the sight of Kuvira strapped to a dolly cart. Four police officers had been riding inside with her, and began unlocking the cart’s restraints.

Yasmine tried to get a look at Kuvira but the police officers were blocking her view. She could only hear the many clicks and clanks of all the platinum locks and chains.

“Easy now!” the grey-haired woman hollered as they began to roll Kuvira out of the back of the vehicle. With a loud thud the crew managed to get her onto the ground.

Finally Yasmine was able to get a glimpse of Kuvira. Her face was just as stern and emotionless as the pictures she saw in the newspapers. The young woman could feel sweat starting to drip down her temples at the intimidating sight. Kuvira made no reaction to the clumsy carting of her body across the docks.

Mako led the two guards pushing Kuvira past Yasmine and onto the loading ramp of the ship. Avatar Korra and the grey-haired woman pulled up the rear. Yasmine took the opportunity to trail behind the pair into the ship.

After Yasmine entered the deck, her guards started to catch up. She stood and watched as Mako instructed their men on securing Kuvira's cart.

Once the group was satisfied with their work, they all took a step back from Kuvira. The dictator kept her gaze fixed on a point across the room, unwilling to make any eye contact.

“Alright Detective, she's your responsibility now. Good luck,” the grey-haired woman said, giving Mako's arm a pat.

“Thanks Chief.”

The Avatar took a step towards Mako next. “Be careful, okay?”

“I will,” Mako replied with a weak smile.

There was a pause between them. Yasmine curiously watched the two, sensing some tension between them.

“Korra I…”

The Avatar leaned forward towards the firebender. She spoke to Mako, but Yasmine couldn't hear what Avatar Korra had said.

“We're ready for take-off Ma’am,” Tu said, tapping Yasmine's shoulder.

“Yes, thank you.”

The Republic City group exited the ship, followed shortly by her crew pulling up the boarding ramp. The ship's propellers throttled up, drowning out the background noise with their loud hum.

Four members of the crew took seats on the deck to begin their guard shift while the others headed towards the personnel quarters. Mako had stayed put, his eyes drifting from Kuvira over to Yasmine. The firebender looked genuinely scared.

Mako then walked over to her, but his eyes returned to Kuvira. The dictator still hadn't looked away from whatever spot on the wall she was trying to burn a hole through. Yasmine wouldn't have been surprised if Kuvira could make that expression come true.

“Well, this is happening,” Mako said, nervously crossing his arms. “You uh, think in addition to the crew's shifts, we should maybe also take turns staying out here?”

“That's not a bad idea, they're doing every two hours?”

“Yeah.”

“Let's do the same, should I go first?” Yasmine asked.

Mako closed his eyes, like he was thinking hard about the decision. Yasmine couldn't help but smile.

“No, uh I'll go first. You did most of the work this morning.”

“Okay, I'm gonna go to my room for a bit.”

***

It was about five hours into the trip. Yasmine was lying on her bed dozing in and out of sleep. She was just starting to slip out of consciousness when she suddenly felt a presence in her room. Her eyes started to crack open when white and blue bolts of light flashed and a gloved hand started to descend on her forehead. Yasmine's vision started to go black, but not before she craned her neck back to get a glimpse of the masked face and glowing eyes looking down at her.

 

To be continued...

Chapter 19: Operation Beifong 2.0

Notes:

Thank you my wonderful editor, ToasterMarketingBoard!

Chapter Text

The hot desert sun had crested its climb into the sky and was just beginning its descent. Wing, Wei, Opal and Bolin were lying on the outside deck of their airship, soaking up the warm rays. Suyin slammed open the door from inside the ship and stepped onto where the group was resting.

“I just got off the radio with Asami, the airship has touched down, let’s go!” the matriarch ordered, then quickly went back inside.

The sunbathers groaned as they got up from their spots and slowly shuffled into the bridge of the airship.

Suyin grabbed a map scroll and stepped in between the four youths. She flopped it open and pointed to where the Earth Kingdom ship had landed. “We’re only a half hour’s flight from their coordinates.”

“Finally, we get to do something,” Wing said.

“It’s going to be a long day kids,” Suyin said as she walked away from the group.

***

Mako guessed it had to have been almost an hour since he made his radio call to Asami when he heard the faint humming of an airship. He looked to the sky, shielding the bright glare from his face with his left hand. Soon the ship was close enough for him to make out the octagonal emblem of Zaofu.

“It’s them!” the firebender hollered to his crew.

Tu and his boys were pulling anything they could use from the ship before they blew it up. Mako knew they had a bit of a wait ahead of them. Korra had to be formally summoned to their aid by Raiko, before she could even start the six hour trip out to where they were.

Mako walked over to Yasmine’s unconscious form. The group had moved her underneath a tall rock pillar near where they had landed. The strange rock formations were the only sources of shade this far out into the desert.

Mako bent down and grasped one of the young woman’s arms. He adjusted his hold so one hand held her wrist, and with the other he pressed his thumb on her pulse point. It was a ritual he hand been performing every fifteen or so minutes, to make sure that Yasmine was still alive. The guilt of what he had done was starting to become overwhelming, so Mako was very relieved that the Beifongs were finally here to provide a distraction.

The ship touched down a few yards away, sweeping up the air and sending a few gusts of sand clouds at Mako and his crew. Mako let go of Yasmine to cover his own eyes during the assault. He then rose and walked towards their new company.

Bolin was the first out of the ship; he jogged down the ramp and into the sand. “Mako!” he yelled out.

“Bolin,” Mako called back.

The two brothers were soon face to face. Mako started to open up his arms to embrace his younger brother, but Bolin crossed his own.

Bolin lifted up his chin and looked away from his older brother. “What did I say about you staying put?”

Mako let out a sigh. He had forgotten about their previous conversation up until this point. He mirrored Bolin’s brooding stance. “I think I ended up in the place where I needed to be.”

They stood in silence for a moment, until Bolin peeked over at his brother. The earthbender’s expression quickly softened and he rushed to Mako, scooping him up in his big arms.

“Come here you big stubborn jerkface,” Bolin said.

Mako sucked in air as his brother crushed him in a bear hug. The firebender squeaked out an “I love you too little bro.”

Bolin put down his brother and relaxed. “I’m glad you’re here, seems like things got a little complicated.”

Mako scratched behind his head. “Yeah, I kinda wish I did what you told me to do.”

“What’s the status of the girl?” Suyin asked as she joined the two brothers. Her three children trailed behind.

“She’s out cold, but I don’t know what damage I may have done… I hope this is worth it.”

Suyin cast her gaze over to the unconscious Yasmine. “That’s something I cannot guarantee. I think that is in the eye of the beholder for this mission.”

“Where’s Kuvira?” Opal asked.

“Stashed in the shade over there,” Mako said, pointing to another rock pillar towards the back of the Earth Kingdom aircraft.

Suyin stepped away from the group to closer to inspect Kuvira. “They planned on shipping her twelve plus hours on a dolly? We can’t leave her like this, it’s inhumane.”

Wing spat on the ground away from the group and then crossed his arms. “Humanity isn’t really a concern when you’re just going to kill someone anyways.”

“Mom, I don’t think we should unlock Kuvira until the Avatar removes her bending,” Wei said, resting a hand on his mother’s shoulder.

Suyin straightened her shoulders and took in a deep breath. “Fine, we’ll lay her down flat in the ship so her blood doesn’t pool at her feet. Wei, you and your brother load her onto the ship and stay with her.”

Opal knelt down and took a look at Yasmine. “She anyone important back in the Earth Kingdom?”

“Doesn’t seem like it, but it doesn’t matter, she didn’t deserve this,” Mako said, joining the airbender.

Opal picked up a limp arm and moved it slightly up and down. Then with a sigh she let it flop back down. “No, but we couldn’t trust her. It was the right move.”

“You know, you guys are gonna have to knock me out too,” the firebender said.

Opal put a hand to her ear and cocked her head toward Mako. “Pardon?”

“The only person who works for the Earth Kingdom government can’t be the sole crash victim. It’s a little too convenient.”

“Kuvira is ‘dead’.”

“You know what I mean,” Mako pushed.

Opal frowned at the firebender. She watched him reach into his jacket and pull out Asami’s glove.

“Take care of Bolin, okay?”

“Whoa, whoa, you want me to do it?” Opal asked in a frustrated tone.

Mako held out the glove. “Yes, and right now before it becomes this big thing.”

“This is like ‘in-law level’ stuff you know,” Opal said as she snatched the glove from Mako’s grasp.

The firebender offered her a weak smile. “I’m sure we’ll make it official someday.”

Opal slipped on the glove and looked it over. “How does this thing even work?”

“Flip the switch on the top by your thumb, and then you just grasp whatever you want to shock.”

Opal fidgeted with the on switch. It clicked on and she could hear the faint buzzing of the electricity coursing through the glove. Opal hesitantly looked over to Mako. His face was blank, so she was unable to read what was going through her boyfriend’s brother’s mind.

“Now,” Mako commanded.

Opal winced as she reached out the glove and smacked it on Mako’s forehead. She clenched the glove around his skull and sparks flew around the point of contact. The firebender groaned and then slipped out of her grasp. His head collided with the sand and he was out cold. Opal let out a squeak as he fell. She looked down at the glove and quickly fumbled with the switch, turning it off. She then threw the glove into the sand and stood up, backing away from Mako.

Opal looked around her to see if anyone had noticed what had transpired, but they were all turned away.

“Damnit Mako,” Opal cursed as a shudder ran through her body. She then started to jog back over to her mother and boyfriend.

“So… I zapped Mako unconscious.”

“What?” Suyin and Bolin shouted in unison.

“He didn’t want this to be a ‘thing’, so I quickly did it.”

Bolin threw his hands in the air, exasperated. “He didn’t want it to be a thing?”

Opal took a step towards her boyfriend, puffing her chest at him. “Yes, like you’re making it to be right now. Mako had a solid reason, that Earth Kingdom girl can’t be the only one knocked out when help arrives. We’ve got to make this look legit. Now let’s finish up here so we can be on our merry way!” When Opal was done explaining she pushed past Bolin and headed towards Tu and the crew.

“But…” the earthbender protested.

Suyin shrugged her shoulders and followed her daughter.

“This is crazy,” Bolin muttered under his breath as he trailed behind the Beifong women.

“Okay, who’s next in command?” Suyin asked the group of young men.

Tu stepped forward. “That’d be me, I guess.”

“You need anything else from that ship?”

Tu shrugged. “Naw, I think we’re good.”

“Alright, then we need to blow this thing up and get out of here. Bolin, Opal, go grab the dynamite from our ship,” the matriarch ordered.

The couple returned each carrying a crate of explosives. They headed towards the ship followed by Tu and his crew. Once the craft was loaded up, Bolin slowly unwound the long fuse.

Suyin inspected the area around them. “We better move Mako and the girl with us when we take cover behind my ship.”

A few crew members headed over to where the pair was stashed and started dragging their limp forms away.

Bolin rushed over to Suyin with a distressed look on his face.

“What’s wrong?”

“How we going to light this thing, our only firebender is unconscious!”

“Shit,” Suyin cursed under her breath. She grabbed her chin and thought about her options. “Anyone got a pack of matches?”

Bolin turned to his cousin and his crew and repeated Suyin’s question. Most of the young men shrugged, a few dug around in their pockets.

“I do,” a tired old voice said.

Suyin and Bolin jumped, not noticing the small man near them until now.

Yan Yan held out a half-used book of matches to Bolin. “Just save me one, I’m going to need a smoke after needlessly blowing up this fine aircraft.”

The earthbender accepted the matches. “Thanks...” For some reason he was not sure how to act towards the little man.

Bolin raced over to where he left the fuse. “Okay, everyone clear the area!”

Everyone turned to the Beifong ship and jogged towards it. Opal followed the group, but then stopped and turned around to watch her boyfriend.

Bolin sandwiched the match between the two book flaps and then quickly tore it out. The small stick ignited, a flame appeared and then quickly went out. His shoulders slumped as he examined the barely used matchstick. The earthbender tried again with the same result.

Opal caught on to what was happening and ran over to assist her boyfriend.

“Let me shield the wind for you,” the airbender said, cupping her hands above Bolin’s.

“Thanks honey,” he said with a smirk. “Is… Mako going to be okay?”

“It’s you I’m worried about. Those stumpy legs of yours aren’t the fastest.”

“Hey, my stumps get me around just fine, but seriously?”

“He should be, Mako’s a big boy, he knows what he’s doing.” Opal smiled and leaned forward. Her lips brushed over Bolin’s ever so softly.

“Light the fire,” she whispered.

Bolin blushed and turned his attention back to the matches. The flame flashed to life and this time stayed lit thanks to Opal’s hands. The pair moved together, guiding the flame to the fuse. When they made contact, sparks flew from the fuse, and started racing towards the ship.

Opal and Bolin sprung from their spot and headed in the opposite direction. The airbender reached behind her, grasping hold of her boyfriend’s hand. Together they raced towards the other ship to hide with the group.

***

It was well into the afternoon when Korra completed her hundredth lap around the Air Temple courtyard. Jinora had been keeping count as she watched her friend restlessly circle the property.

They received the radio call confirming that Mako had successfully landed in the desert. Then the second call that Kuvira had been successfully transferred to Suyin and her group. Now they were waiting for Raiko, or someone, to call Korra to go to the ‘crashed’ ship’s ‘aid’.

Korra stopped her pacing, and looked to the sky. Jinora looked up as well and saw a small speck flying towards them. It grew larger and larger until she recognized it was her sister Ikki coming their way.

The Avatar’s shoulders slumped. Ikki probably had news, but she was definitely not there to send them to action.

The young airbender touched down at the entrance of the courtyard. She readjusted the duffel over her shoulders, as it had slumped off when she landed.

“Korra!” Ikki hollered as she jogged over towards the other girls. “I’m glad I caught you.”

“Wish I could say the same,” Korra said with a huff.

Ikki’s expression fell. The Avatar realized what she had implied and held up her hands defensively. “I’m sorry Ikki, I didn’t mean it like that. I’m just getting a little sick of waiting around here.”

Jinora joined the girls. “What’s in the bag?”

Her younger sister held it out to Korra. “It’s from Asami, to give to Kuvira.”

Korra grabbed the duffel straps and slung the bag over her own shoulder.

“It’s got some clothes for Kuvira, stuff that looks kinda Fire Nation-y,” Ikki said proudly, bouncing on the balls of her feet. “She assumed you all probably forgot to bring something else for Kuvira to wear besides her prison uniform.”

The Avatar chuckled to herself. “Asami and clothing...”

“She told me it’s all about looking the part. ‘Fake it till you make it’,” Ikki said with a nod.

Jinora gestured to Korra to pass her the duffel. She opened it up and looked around the contents. There were a few shirts and pants, and a small makeup bag. “You think Kuvira knows how to apply makeup?” Jinora asked.

Korra smiled and put her hands on her hips. “Well she’s going to have all the time in the world to learn.”

“One more thing, this is for you to read later. Asami specifically said to at least wait until you’re on the airship,” Ikki said, passing a small envelope to the Avatar.

Korra’s cheeks turned a little pink as she accepted the letter.

“Ooo, Korra got a love letter!” Jinora teased.

“She’s gonna have to read it later, cos it’s time to go.”

The three girls jumped at the sound of Lin’s voice.

Korra perked up and ran towards the police chief. “Finally, I was starting to worry.”

“It took a little convincing, but we’re set to go. I had to remind Raiko that you are not Republic City’s little pet, but the Avatar.”

“He tolerates me, then he banishes me and now I’m his pet,” Korra grumbled.

“Well depending on how this all goes he might go back to banishing you for a while. Now grab you gear and let’s go,” Lin said with a huff.

“I’m coming too,” Jinora said, stepping forward.

“What? Your father’s not coming so…”

“She’s starting her training to one day take over Tenzin’s role,” Korra said proudly.

Lin crossed her arms. “I don’t think this is the kind of mission you want to start your ‘practice’ on, kids.”

“We’ve already talked it through, Jinora’s coming.”

The police chief shrugged and turned away from the girls. “Alright, but if anything happens you’re the one who’s answering to Tenzin.”

Jinora and Korra hurried into the temple to get their belongings, leaving Lin alone with Ikki.

“Do you know how to apply makeup?” Ikki asked curiously.

Lin groaned and walked away towards to the docks.

“Is that a no?” Ikki called out to the older woman as she walked away.

***

The propellers hummed as the Beifongs’ airship coasted through the desert. They traveled back to the area where they were originally waiting, but this time landed amongst a cluster of rock spires. The group wanted to be close by, but hopefully out of the Earth Kingdom’s sight.

Once the airship was secured, Bolin and the Beifongs situated themselves in the ship’s main deck. There was bench seating around the perimeter of the large open room. The group split up, taking up the corners of the seating area.

“What do we do now?” Bolin asked the room with a shrug.

Suyin leaned back into her seat and crossed her arms. She was sitting in the corner diagonally opposite her daughter and her daughter’s boyfriend. “Wait for Korra and Lin.”

Bolin slumped in his seat. “More waiting...”

“So we’re shipping her off to the Fire Nation after? Do we know anyone over there?” Opal asked.

“Kuvira will be on her own,” the matriarch said as she dared glance at the woman she was talking about, but not to. Kuvira’s eyes were fixed on the ceiling above her. The dictator’s dolly had been rested against the bench in-between Suyin’s corner and Opal and Bolin’s. The seats were pretty low, so she was leaning back at a forty-five degree angle.

Bolin perked up in his seat, waving his hands about. “Ooo, ooo! She’ll be a mysterious stranger, with a mysterious past. Kuvira, I can totally come up with your back-story. Let’s see, what else did you do before taking over the Earth Kingdom?”

“She was a dancer with Mom,” Opal offered.

“Okay, so you’re athletic and… graceful. How about you were a traveling circus performer in the Earth Kingdom, but were captured and put into a reeducation camp by Kuvira?”

“Wouldn’t it be better to not give anyone a reminder of her who she looks like?” Wei countered from his spot next to his twin.

“What if they ask her to do some tricks?” Wing added.

“Kuvira, do you know any tricks?” Bolin asked.

The dictator did not answer and continued to look above her.

“Okay something else, maybe playing more to her current and very quiet personality…”

“We could always shave her head and say she’s a monk,” Wei suggested.

“A fresh cut for a fresh start, that could be good.” Bolin rubbed his chin as he considered the option.

Suyin looked to Kuvira again; she seemed to be straining to maintain her expressionless composure. “Kids, why don’t you leave us alone for a bit.”

Bolin and Opal got up from their seats and meandered towards the door to the hall of personnel quarters. The stocky earthbender continued to murmur ideas for Kuvira’s possible new identity to his girlfriend as they left.

The matriarch eyed her twin sons, who had not moved. “That means you boys too.”

Wing and Wei looked to each other and then back to their mother.

“You act like I can’t hold my own anymore, please just a few minutes.”

The boys finally accepted defeat and headed towards the door. Wing took one last look back and directed his gaze to Kuvira. “No funny business, or the Earth Kingdom will end up finding a body after all.”

“Wing, go!” Suyin barked.

The door slammed shut and the two women were alone. Suyin got up from her spot and moved a few seats closer to her former protégé.

“Kuvira.”

“I was wondering when you’d pull me aside for a little heart to heart. You pull off this stunt just for this opportunity? Since you went through all this trouble, please, speak your mind.”

“How ungrateful, just like you’ve always been,” Suyin said, crossing her legs.

“Sorry I’m a disappointment mother. Oh wait, you were never willing to officially take on that role. If you had done that, you couldn’t have continued to use me like the other people in your life hovering just outside that special inner circle.”

“It wasn’t like that.”

“It wasn’t? Don’t deny that there was no benefit to you by adopting me, so you didn’t.”

“I never promised I would.”

Barely above a whisper, Kuvira said, “You knew that’s what I’d hoped would happen…”  

“I know.”

Silence fell between the women. Suyin shifted in her seat, swapping which leg she had crossed.

“Honestly, I didn’t want to bring you that close to my family. You had so much anger and frustration. I feared it could possibly get directed at my own children. I had a responsibility to keep them safe.”

Kuvira turned her head to face away from Suyin as she listened to the older woman speak. The corners of her eyes began to burn with tears that wanted desperately to fall, but Kuvira would not allow herself to cry.

“I knew the military academy would give you the structure and discipline you desperately needed… I too was sent away as a youth and it turned my life around, but at the end of the day I still had a family. I shouldn’t have discounted that element being necessary in your development as well. I should have adopted you, so you could have had that experience of belonging.”

“Why are you saying this now, at the last possible moment? Did your guilty conscience get the better of you?” Kuvira asked, thrashing her head over to face Suyin.

“We are saving you because everyone deserves a second chance. The Earth Kingdom isn’t willing to give you that chance, but we are.”

“Where were you all at my trial? Oh wait, that was public, people would have seen you defending me.”

“Korra and the others didn’t go because it was already too late to save you that way!”

Kuvira’s face fell at Suyin’s words.

“Your trial was rigged; the Earth Kingdom didn’t want you to ever have a chance. I made them stop seeing you so we could pull this ruse off and because… I wanted you to face your punishment, even it if it was temporary. You know you’re getting a better deal than Jr.”

The dictator looked away, knowing she had no rebuttal to Suyin’s words.

***

Several hour into their flight, Korra found a quiet spot on their small aircraft and sat down in a corner. She then fished into her pocket and pulled out Asami’s letter. The Avatar eagerly undid the envelope flap and pulled out a folded piece of paper. She was instantly struck with the overwhelming smell of Asami. Korra brought the letter to her nose and inhaled.

“She must have sprayed it with her perfume…” the Avatar thought to herself. She then unfolded the letter and began to read.

“My dear Avatar, I miss you already. I’m sure you noticed I spritzed this letter with my scent; I wanted you to have a little something to remind you of when we’re together. I can’t wait to sleep beside you again. It’s so wonderful being held in your arms, and holding you in mine. Your hard muscles-”

“Hey Korra.”

The Avatar jumped at her name, and quickly crumpled closed the letter.

“Jinora! What’s up?” Korra asked, trying to sound casual. The young airbender took a seat beside her on the floor, pulling her knees to her chin.

“You reading Asami’s letter?”

Korra’s face reddened as she clutched the paper close to her chest. “Yeah…”

“That was nice of her to send you one,” Jinora sighed.

“Kai’s never written you a love letter?”

“No… he’s not the most romantic.”

The Avatar pulled her letter away from her chest, folded it up and stuck it in her pocket. “Is everything alright between you? I’ve hardly seen him around the Air Temple.”

“He’s been going out on a lot of missions with the other airbender guys his age. I asked him about it, he said he was just restless. Kai’s never really stayed in one place for very long…”

“How do you feel?” Korra asked.

“I don’t know… I like going on adventures, like right now with you, but Republic City, Air Temple Island, that’s my home. And since I’m taking over my father’s role one day, it’s always going to be my home.”

“Well taking over your father’s job, and permanently settling down is still a ways away. You need to try and enjoy the flexibility you have right now. Maybe go with him on some of those trips?” the Avatar said, nudging her elbow into the younger girl’s shoulder.

“Maybe…” Jinora said, scrunching her legs closer.

“Jinora, after this mission you’re officially off of Avatar Air Master training for a few weeks. I’m going to visit my parents soon after we get back, during that time you need to go play!”

“Okay…”

Korra kicked out her legs in front of her. “C’mon, you’re too young to be so old!”

Jinora cracked a smile. The Avatar flashed her signature lopsided grin. “See, you know I’m right.”

Both girls’ heads turned at the sound of footsteps. “Korra, you in here?” Lin called out.

“We’re over here!” the Avatar called back.

The police chief walked over to the girls and waved for them to get up. “The crash is in sight, time to prepare for landing.”

 

To be continued...

Chapter 20: Parting Ways

Notes:

Thank you oh so much to ToasterMarketingBoard for editing this long chapter!!!

Chapter Text

***
It was a quarter after two when Prince Wu eyed the clock for the fifteenth time since the new hour began. He was currently stuck in another meeting, but had given up on paying attention sometime during the first one that morning. He was too nervous to focus. Wu had received no word from Mako after the firebender departed for Republic City. The last bit of information he had gotten from anyone was Asami, last night, confirming Mako’s airship had arrived. Any moment now, someone should burst through the big double doors with an urgent message from Mako.

As if on cue, the doors swung open and a frantic looking Earth Kingdom military officer entered the room. He ran up to an empty spot in the table, and slapped his hands on the decadent wood.

“Excuse me for interrupting, but we just received a distress call on the radio from the pilot of our airship transporting Kuvira.”

The prince shot up in his seat and asked, “What did Mako say? Are they okay?”

The officer shook his head. “It was the pilot I spoke with, Mr. Yan Yan.”

“Well what did he say?” the statesman from Gaoling asked, slamming his fist on the table for emphasis.

“The radio was shorting out, so I got their coordinates first, then he said something about an electrical fire and the signal was gone.”

Wu knew this crash was staged, but Mako was supposed to be the one to call. It was going to be his way of signaling that everything was okay. The prince’s heart began to race; there was so much that could have gone wrong on this mission even without that Yasmine woman being on board. What if they actually tried to set the airship on fire to convince Yasmine that Kuvira had died? Or what if Kuvira escaped and fought back?

Wu was so lost in thought he didn’t hear the first two attempts to get his attention. The level-headed representative from Omashu, whom Wu had been in many meetings with now, shook the prince’s shoulder to get his attention.

“How do you want to proceed?” the older man asked.

“We must send some airships to their aid, right away!” Wu demanded as he rose from his seat, addressing the group.

All the officials and statesmen present nodded. The military officer bowed to the group and then headed towards the door. Wu was about to sit back down, but something held him back.

“Wait! I’m going too.”

***
The sun was close to setting when Lin, Korra and Jinora caught up with the Earth Kingdom group. Their airship cast a long shadow across the sands where it landed. The trio of women swiftly exited and headed towards the smoldering wreckage ahead of them.

The Earth Kingdom airship was nothing more than a charred skeleton. The interior had been eaten up by the flames, making it clear to anyone inspecting that it was not a fire a human could have survived.

Tu noticed the new arrivals and jogged up to them. “Avatar Korra, we’re camped up over here,” he said, ushering them toward the rock pillar the group was taking shelter beneath.

“Where’s Mako?” Korra asked as they walked.

The stocky young man started to scratch behind his head. “He’s recovering... but it’s not uh... safe to speak freely anymore.”

They looked over to where Mako was huddled with his back against the massive pillar. Beside him, in a similar position, was the young woman they had been introduced to that morning.

“The girl’s awake,” Lin muttered to herself.

“Mako was also knocked out, so be gentle with him, less said the better, he’s been slipping outta character.”

“We’re just here to keep you company until the Earth Kingdom shows up. We’ll keep it casual,” Lin replied.

Korra broke away from the group and sat down next to Mako. She tentatively put a hand on his shoulder, alerting him to her presence. “Hey Mako, how are you feeling?”

The firebender’s body shook from strained laughter. “Like shit Korra, thanks for asking.”

Korra’s posture fell at the comment.

“I’m sorry Mako, I-” the Avatar started, but Mako interrupted.

“I said I’d follow you into battle, no matter how crazy things get. That was a promise!”

“Maybe this isn’t the best time...”

Mako shrugged off Korra’s hand and looked away. “And why not? We got plenty of time to kill while we wait for the Earth Kingdom to show up.”

Yasmine groggily turned her head to see the commotion happening near her. Lin and Jinora also noticed the tense interaction.

“What’s going on?” the young airbender asked Lin.

The older woman crossed her arms, as she dared a glance over. “Give them a few minutes to hash it out.”

Mako grabbed at the wool blanket draped over his shoulders and pulled it tighter around himself. “I guess I just don’t understand… I know I wasn’t the best boyfriend, to either of you but… is this my fault?”

“No Mako. I’m not an expert on this subject, but I know it has nothing to do with you. That sounds bad…” Korra let out a frustrated breath and then adjusted her seated position to face Mako more directly. She pulled her legs up under her chin and hugged them close. “Listen, Asami and I, we just kind of fell in love.”

“When? Was it while you were writing all those letters to each other? I wrote you too, you know,” Mako grumbled, pivoting his body away from Korra.

“I only wrote to her once and I’m sorry you found out about that.”

“It hurt, all those years of wondering if you were getting better. We were all worried about you.”

“I know, part of what took me so long to come back was facing everyone after all that time of not communicating. Please understand, I just couldn’t will myself to write to everyone over and over that I still hadn’t recovered and was starting to feel I never would. I now know that was a mistake, that I shouldn’t have pushed you all away.”

A moment of silence fell between the two. Korra looked down at her boots. They had sunk a ways into the sand. She wiggled them free as she thought about what to say next, but Mako beat her to it.

“I saw you two together outside the temple when you got back from the Spirit World… I arrived at the same time you did. Asami was fussing with your hair, which seemed a little strange, and then she kissed you. I was so surprised it knocked the wind out of me. I didn’t know what to do so I left the temple and then the city...” Mako paused, his mouth moving, trying to formulate the words. “I still love you Korra…”

‘Asami was right,’ Korra somberly thought to herself. Even after her girlfriend explained her reasoning, Korra never fully believed it.

“And that’s why you left?” the Avatar asked in a hushed tone.

“Yeah,” Mako whispered back.

“I’m sorry this hurts you that much.”

“Don’t be sorry. You deserve to be happy.”

Korra dared to put her hand on Mako’s shoulder once more. “So do you.”

Mako turned to face Korra. He felt his heart swell with all kinds of emotions. Tears threatened to spring loose from the corners of his eyes.

Korra continued, “Thank you for following me into battle, despite how crazy it’s gotten. We couldn’t have done this without you.”

The quiet camp was suddenly taken over by the loud hum of two Earth Kingdom airships. They hovered directly above the wreckage site, stirring up the sand around them. The group stopped all conversations to cover their faces from the gritty air.

Mako was relieved at the Earth Kingdom’s arrival and wiped away the tears that had escaped, knowing he could blame them on the sand. Korra gave his shoulder a squeeze before getting up and joining the others to greet the new arrivals.

Korra rejoined Lin, Jinora and Tu and watched the doors of the two Earth Kingdom airships open and troops swiftly march down the ramps.

The Avatar could feel her companions tense at the intimidating military presence of the Earth Kingdom, and then it was gone as soon as she heard the familiar nasally voice of Prince Wu.

“Mako?” the prince exclaimed as he jogged down the ramp, pushing a few guards aside to get through. “Where is Mako?”

“Prince Wu, I’m so glad to-” Korra started, extending her hand before getting brushed off by Wu. Her and everyone else’s eyes followed the eccentric young man as he threw himself at Mako.

The firebender toppled over, weak and surprised by his friend’s forceful embrace.

“Mako I was so worried about you!” Wu cried as he dramatically pawed at Mako’s body.

The firebender coughed a few times from the sand kicked up in the air, before responding, “Good to see you Wu.”

Wu pulled back a bit so he could look Mako in the eyes. “What happened?”

Mako shook his head. “Talk to Tu, I honestly don’t remember much.”

“Don’t remember?”

“Yasmine and I…” Mako started to explain, causing Wu to become aware of his surroundings, and realize he had shoved himself in between Mako and Yasmine and was nearly on top of her as well.

“Oh, excuse me,” Wu said, repositioning himself to an appropriate distance.

Yasmine lifted her head to look at the two men beside her. “We were electrocuted, it knocked us unconscious, we didn’t wake up till after the crash.”

Lin cleared her throat as she walked over to the three. “Prince Wu, let me show you around the wreckage and explain the information I gathered from the pilot who made the distress call.”

“Oh, uh, yes Chief Beifong, that sounds like a good idea,” Wu replied as he walked behind Lin. Once Wu was up the soldiers trailed behind him to the smoldering airship.

***
Korra stared out the window as she, Lin and Jinora made the short trip to Suyin’s campsite. The sun had set and with no light pollution in the desert, the night sky was littered with twinkling stars.

The debriefing with the Earth Kingdom soldiers seemed to have gone fine. Korra and Jinora had watched Lin walk them through the situation. Korra was relieved the police chief was willing to take over the explanation, given her own limitations with words, especially on the fly. Fortunately there wasn’t really much left of the ship to scrutinize the details of their story. The lightning chair caught fire and there wasn’t the time or motivation to fuss with all of Kuvira’s locks and save her before the ship ‘blew up’ right after they ‘crash landed.’

Korra just hoped that story would be enough for the higher-ups back at the Earth Kingdom palace. Kuvira’s price was paid, maybe not in the way they had imagined, but the result was the same.

‘Speaking of price…’ the Avatar mused as she reminded herself of the one thought she had been trying to avoid this whole trip.

Korra let out a strained chuckle. It was the solution to the ‘Kuvira problem’ she had felt herself unwillingly careening towards from the moment she got back from the Spirit World. Taking Kuvira’s bending away was the only satisfactory punishment, besides death. Maybe it would be easier for her, had she never had her own bending taken away. The very thought of inflicting a pain she never wanted to experience again on someone else was tormenting her and no one seemed to understand. Korra knew Lin was the closest, but the police chief would never be faced with doing it to someone else. The Avatar couldn’t even count on this being the one and only time she’d have to do this.

At this point, Korra was even willing to turn this airship around and discuss her love with Mako some more instead. Korra felt her gut tighten; she had to admit she was glad that hard, but necessary conversation was now behind them. Hopefully Mako would find peace in the Earth Kingdom and be able to come home soon.

***
The three women’s airship touched down less than an hour after their departure from the wreckage. They wearily exited the airship, the full day having finally caught up to them. No one from Suyin’s airship came to meet them, so they took it upon themselves to walk across the cool sands and up the boarding ramp. Suyin answered the door after a few knocks and led them inside.

“Korra, Lin, Jinora, it’s good to see you all. I take it everything went well with the Earth Kingdom?”

Lin moved past her sister and plopped down on one of the benches in the deck. She let out a long and tired breath, before answering. “I think we’re in the clear. So, where’s the guest of honor?”

“You’re sitting next to her,” Suyin replied dryly.

Lin sat up straight and looked to her left. She was so tired she hadn’t noticed the dolly cart resting on the bench next to her. Kuvira’s eyes were closed, but Lin wasn’t certain she was asleep, considering all the commotion.

“Now that you’re here, I’m going to solicit your help watching Kuvira while she takes care of some basic needs.”

The police chief groaned, getting up from her seat.

“She’s been in this dolly all day?” Jinora asked in a quiet voice.

“We didn’t feel comfortable unlocking her without her bending removed. But this day has gone on longer than I planned.”

Korra took a step towards Kuvira. “Got it, let’s just get this over with, for all our sakes.”

***
After Kuvira was returned to her dolly cart, Korra and Jinora took the next shift on guard duty. The two girls positioned themselves on either side of the former dictator and got comfortable.

“So… what were you and Mako talking about?” Jinora asked, breaking the silence.

Korra’s face flushed, being brought back into that moment. “Uh… me and Asami dating. We never really got a chance tell him before he left. Turns out we didn’t need to, he figured it out on his own.”

“Sounded like he took it kinda hard.”

“Yeah… he said he still has feelings for me and that’s why he left. I’m just surprised, after breaking up twice and three years apart, I thought we were on the same page.” Korra slouched down in her seat. “I really hurt everyone by being gone so long, didn’t I?”

Jinora put a hand on her chin and thought a moment. “I can’t lie and say that it didn’t affect everyone in some way. Now that we can reflect back on that time, it was clearly what you needed. The rest of us, we didn’t have a debilitating injury, we were all free to move forward with our lives. I think it was healthy that we all did. I guess, you just have to take it as a compliment that even though it must have seemed like everyone was carrying on fine without you, that wasn’t the whole truth. Some were really stuck on you.”

“Oh the trials and tribulations of the Avatar,” Kuvira murmured dryly.

The two girls jumped at her voice. The former dictator hadn’t said a word since their arrival.

“Could you spare me your little pity party over your non-existent issues, Avatar.”

Korra looked to her feet, feeling a bit shamed by the truth in Kuvira’s words. “I know you must be pretty upset with me for what I’ve put you through. I’m sorry we couldn’t tell you what we were planning. You must have felt pretty abandoned by us.”

“Hmph, actually I was impressed. I thought you were finally going to follow through on a threat. But no, you’re still the anxious and immature girl you revealed to me in prison. More worried about relationships and feelings, over what really matters.”

Jinora crossed her arms. “You know feelings aren’t such a terrible thing. I’ll admit Korra can sometimes be too caught up in them,”

“Hey!” the Avatar protested.

The young airbender continued, “but your opposite approach is just as detrimental, if not more. I think your current situation is proof of that. Sitting here and I see two very similar people who took two very different approaches to life. Kuvira, I don’t know you like I know Korra, but through talking to her, I can see she is trying to learn from your shared experience. That she saw herself in you, she saw a person she could become and heeded it as a warning of what happens when taking ideals too far.”

“Jinora, you know I’m sitting right here?” Korra added.

“I know, but every time you two talk to each other, it just turns into an argument. I’m trying a different approach. If I’m misinterpreting anything, feel free to correct me.”

Korra shrugged and slouched down in her seat a bit, and continued to listen.

Jinora turned back to Kuvira. “I know you are baffled by our actions. We came to talk to you and tried to instil hope. I think we might have, and I bet that was scary for you. I’m sure it was all the more hurtful when it seemed like we did that, only to ditch you. It’s true, we had to stop contact and that was the only way to save your life.”

“Why? I didn’t ask for this. You’re all fools for sticking your necks out for me. If you had any sense you would have let me fry like an enemy of the state should,” the former dictator replied, turning her head away.

“It is the beliefs of my people, that everyone deserves a second chance. I am here as a representative of the Air Nation to put those beliefs into practice.”

Jinora turned her attention to Korra and waited for her to speak, but the Avatar looked away.

Again Korra felt shame wash over her. This was Kuvira’s darkest hour and all she could think about was her own confliction over what she had to do tomorrow. A real Avatar would attempt to comfort Kuvira or inspire her. A real Avatar would know why she was even doing this, but any answers she could come up with weren’t truly her own.

The young airbender sighed, accepting her attempt to get Korra and Kuvira to talk was not going to work. They spent the remainder of their time together in silence.

***
The group was awake as soon as morning broke. The commotion stirred Kuvira from her sleep, not that she had gotten much that night. Once everyone was present on deck Suyin turned to the Avatar.

“Korra, it’s time we got this over with. You need to get back to Republic City and we’ve got a trip to the Fire Nation,” Suyin said, resting a hand on the young woman’s shoulders.

“Okay,” Korra replied, letting out a deep breath.

The Avatar slowly stepped towards Kuvira. Suyin motioned to her sons to flank the former dictator. They each took a side of the dolly, placing a hand on the back and a hand on Kuvira’s shoulders.

Kuvira flinched when she felt their hands clench around her. Her heart began to race. It felt like the organ was banging against her rib cage. Kuvira was relieved that she wasn’t facing her death anymore, but that offered very little comfort in this moment. A part of her very being was about to be extracted, forever, a part that was tied to so much of her self-worth.

The dictator looked up to meet the Avatar’s eyes, but they were closed. Korra’s brows were furrowed in deep concentration. Her lips were silently moving, as if she was talking to someone.

The room had gone fully silent once Korra started to glow. A pale blue aura surrounded the Avatar. Her short brown hair started to flutter, as if there was a breeze blowing on only her.

Korra’s hands rose from her sides and clenched shut. She then put her two closed fists together, knuckles to knuckles. Once they made contact Korra’s eyes shot open. Her pupils were gone; her eyes were completely taken over by an electric blue glow.

Kuvira started to sweat as she fully took in the Avatar. In that moment Kuvira was reminded of the last time she saw Korra in the Avatar state. She had tried to harness the power of the spirits and in retaliation they sent after her the living embodiment of the two worlds. At that time Kuvira was awestruck by the power Korra possessed. She felt like an insignificant speck in the universe. A tiny bug that, if squashed, would have no effect on anything or anyone. It was exactly how she had felt about the Earth Kingdom citizens who pushed back against her.

It was something about the Avatar’s compassion in that moment together in the Spirit World that had changed her mind, so much so she willingly surrendered; a move Kuvira had never envisioned for herself. Her original plan if she lost, which she had never foreseen happening, was to go down swinging.

The Avatar took slow and purposeful steps towards Kuvira. The former dictator felt no trace of the woman named Korra anymore. A dark hand stretched closer, thumb posed to press against her forehead. Blood gushed through Kuvira’s veins, pumping harder and faster than she had ever experienced in her life. Her eyes darted around the room, quickly locking on the blurred faces witnessing what was about to be taken away.

Kuvira could feel the heat radiating from Korra’s digit as it hovered just above her forehead. The metalbender flinched as the fight-or-flight part of her brain started taking over. Involuntarily her body started to rock, to try and wrestle free from her bindings. The two hands on her shoulders pressed down harder to steady her body. The twins’ fingers dug into her flesh so hard it started to sting.

The Avatar attempted again to bring her thumb to Kuvira’s forehead, but the former dictator turned it away from her. She flailed her head from side to side, trying to create an impossible target.

“Hold her head!” Suyin called out in a stern and strained tone.

The twins obeyed their mother and let go of Kuvira’s shoulders to instead grab her head. Their vice-like grip made her feel claustrophobic. This was it, she truly was trapped. To her relief and shame, the tears she had been holding back for days broke free and cascaded down her cheeks. Kuvira clenched her eyes closed and braced for impact.

“I can’t do this!” Korra’s voice called out.

Kuvira dared open her eyes to see Korra, out of the Avatar state, walking away from her. Korra pushed through the small crowd and made contact with the airship’s wall. Her palms slapped against the wooden panelling, followed by her forehead.

“Korra,” Suyin started, using her stern motherly tone, “you don’t have a choice.”

Korra turned around to face Suyin. “I’m the Avatar, that means I always have a choice!”

The matriarch folded her arms. “I knew this was a terrible idea. I should have convinced Asami to leave well enough alone and just let her and I live with the guilt of lying to you for the rest of our lives. Is that what you would have preferred?”

“No,” Korra snapped back.

The matriarch marched towards the Avatar.

“Stop!” Jinora ordered, positioning herself between the two women. “Before you end up saying things you’ll regret.”

The young airbender turned to Korra, who had gone back to leaning face first against the wall.

“What do you need in order to do this?” Jinora asked, placing one hand on Korra’s back.

“It can’t be like this, you saw her. I felt like such a monster…” the Avatar whispered.

Kuvira strained to hear what the two young women were talking about, but she couldn’t hear anything over her still rapidly beating heart.

Suyin leaned over to her sister. “Lin, what the hell do we do with Kuvira if Korra refuses to go through with this?”

“Stick her in the swamp with mom?” Lin replied with a snort.

Kuvira finally started to feel her heartbeat and breathing return to a manageable level. She looked around the room. Everyone had broken off into small groups. Her gaze stopped at Korra and Jinora in the far corner. The young airbender was rubbing Korra’s back in what appeared to be an attempt to calm her down. For the first time since she could remember, Kuvira felt guilt. She was amazed she could feel anything beside fear at that moment, but like a rock in her stomach, the feeling pulled down on her insides. She was supposed to be executed, but all these people stuck their necks out in order to save her life. Even after everything she did to them. She didn’t understand why, but she realized that shouldn’t stop her from being grateful.

“Let me bend!” Kuvira called out to the group in a hoarse voice. “Just let me bend one more time… and then I’ll give it up quietly.”

Everyone turned to look at Kuvira. Korra stepped forward from the group. “How?” she asked.

“Spar with me, Avatar?”

“Korra I don’t think that’s a good idea,” Opal whispered.

“Let them do it,” Suyin said, looking to her twin sons. “We’ll cover you.”

Opal threw her hands up and walked away from the group. “This is ridiculous!”

Korra looked over to Jinora. The young airbender gave her a nod.

“Okay.”

At the Avatar’s word, Lin moved behind Kuvira and started to loosen her straps. She released the locks that hooked Kuvira to the dolly cart, but not the chains around her wrists. Lin quickly pulled down on the chains, jerking the dictator back. One of her shoulders popped from the force.

“No funny business or that story about you dying in the desert will be true,” Lin whispered into Kuvira’s ear.

“Real original Lin, you think you’re the first one to threaten me with that in the last twenty-four hours?”

The police chief responded by swiftly tugging Kuvira back at the dolly one more time.

***
Outside in the sand Bolin made a fist with his right hand and punched it into the air. From the motion, a rock pillar, the size of a small post, rose from the ground. The earthbender then made a circular motion with the same fist, as if he was stirring a giant pot. The pillar moved around him, carving through the sand, creating the outline of a circle.

Opal walked up to her boyfriend, who was putting the finishing touches on the ‘arena’.

“What do you think? I thought it’d be fun to model it after a pro-bending arena,” Bolin said proudly.

“It’s wonderful, but can’t you see how insane this is?”

“The woman is never going to bend again...” Bolin replied with a shrug.

“That woman is a convicted war criminal who is lucky we all took the time and risk to save her ass.”

The earthbender threw an arm around his girlfriend’s shoulder. “Aww c’mon Opal, it’ll be quick. Besides, I think Korra needs this just as much.”

***
It wasn’t long before the rest of the group paraded out of the airship. Korra and Jinora led, while Lin and Kuvira pulled up the rear.

The Avatar selected her side of the circle. She stood legs wide apart, poised and ready. Suyin and her twin sons moved behind the line at the opposite side of the circle. The matriarch stood in the center, and her boys flanked either side. Bolin and Opal moved to stand behind Korra, and Jinora joined them. Lin walked Kuvira into her half of the circle and then unlocked her chains.

Kuvira stood, completely free for the first time in weeks. She looked down to her pale and bruised wrists. They looked so weak, she hardly recognized them as her own. Already she was feeling fatigue, but she had to push through it. This was the last time she was ever going to bend and she was going to relish every moment of it.

The former dictator looked over to her opponent. She remembered the last time they fought like this, outside of Zaofu. How weak Korra had seemed to her then. The Avatar everyone was awaiting the return of wasn’t even half the force she had been before. Kuvira was disappointed by that fight and it only solidified her convictions that she was truly what the Earth Kingdom needed.

“You ready Kuvira?” Korra called out, bringing Kuvira back to the present moment.

“To wipe the ground with you one last time Avatar?” Kuvira asked as she cracked the knuckles of her hands one at a time. “Never been more.”

Bolin stepped out into the center of the circle. “Alright ladies, I want a clean fight. No metal, just good old fashioned earthbending! First one to knock the other out of this ring, wins. You can start once I get out of the way!”

The stocky earthbender dashed out of the arena. Seconds after he stepped out of bounds, rocks collided in the center.

The two women began their match, tossing and dodging large chunks of rock. Despite Kuvira’s extended period of not bending in jail, she was still an even match to Korra. The group of observers’ heads moved back and forth, as if watching a game of power disc.

Exhilaration coursed through Kuvira, like blood through her veins. It had been too long since doing anything physical, she neither had the will or the space to. Her start was a little shaky, but her muscles remembered how to move the earth beneath her. Kuvira felt almost like herself again, the person she was before she left Zaofu. Then it hit her; she would never be that person again. There was no going back to any part of her old life, including her bending. All of her was about to be wiped away.

The corners of Kuvira’s eyes started to sting as the reality sunk back in. She forgot herself, her situation, her impending future the moment she got to move rock with sheer will alone again. It wasn’t fair. After all she had done. All the people she had helped. Her thanks was to have her bending taken away in a scalding hot desert, then get dropped off at the Fire Nation’s front doorstep like an an abandoned baby in a basket.

Kuvira felt a surge of energy and used it to pull up a huge bolder and chuck it in Korra’s direction. The Avatar managed to break it open, and return the two halves. Before they even got close, Kuvira shattered the two pieces and sent a cloud of earth bits at Korra.

Something must have gotten in Korra’s eyes, because she turned away and started pawing at them, instead of fending off the attack. Kuvira wasn’t going to waste an opening and moved the earth beneath Korra’s feet upwards, lifting her from the ground.

Korra clumsily jumped off the earth pillar, still rubbing at her eye. She landed near the line of her circle. The Avatar gritted her teeth and steadied herself.

“She’s bleeding!” Opal hollered across the circle at her mother.

Korra quickly turned her head around. “I’m fine,” she barked, swiping at the blood on her brow. Another pillar shot up beneath her, but Korra was ready this time and dodged it.

Kuvira could see the blood Opal was talking about now. It was likely just a scratch on her forehead; face wounds could be deceptively bloody. She would take all the advantages she could. Kuvira clenched her fists shut and started to raise them towards the sky. She pulled another large boulder, and this time shattered it right away, sending another cloud of shards and sand at the Avatar.

Korra was ready this time and punched up a sheet of rock to hide beneath as the gravel rained down on top of her. She threw her palms in the sand and sent a ripple of shock waves across the court through Kuvira’s half of the circle.

The ground beneath Kuvira became completely uneven; she had to continually move her feet around to stay out of the cracks and crags that were forming below her. With Korra still hiding behind her slab, Kuvira felt it was time to see what the Avatar was up to, so she flipped it up into the air.

Exposed, Korra stopped her attack on Kuvira and looked up at the rock sheet about to fall on top of her. Korra kicked up a leg and broke the slab in two. The two rectangular pieces flanked each side of her as they crashed into the sand.

***
The two combatants looked at each other across their arena. The sun had started to rise, warming the sands and air. Sweat began to drip down the middle of Korra’s back. She had to admit, it felt good to be bending like this again. After all the chaos Kuvira had caused, things had been pretty quiet back home. Korra wasn’t about to complain about the peace; she had full intentions of going on a vacation to the south with Asami as soon she got home, but the warrior inside of her was relishing in the moment.

‘Speaking of relishing... this is Kuvira’s last time bending…’ Korra thought to herself. ‘This is her moment and here I am thinking about myself again.’

Jinora’s words from earlier echoed in her mind. “What do you need in order to do this?”

‘Kuvira what do you need?’ Korra pondered the question as she dodged a chunk of earth being thrown at her.

‘You need this, obviously since you asked for it before I take your bending. Do you need to win this match? Will beating me one more time give you the confidence you need to move forward?’

The Avatar returned her own chunk of earth in Kuvira’s direction, followed by two more.

‘No, that might just make you all the more upset about losing your ability… It’s clear to me now, in many ways you preferred death to all other punishments, because you’re a very proud and stubborn person. I know what that is like…’

Korra felt her mind drift back to the when she was still recovering in her wheelchair. Nothing was working and she was so frustrated that she even lashed out at Katara. A flash of blue light clouded Korra’s vision and she could hear the older woman’s voice as clear as if she was speaking to her now.

The light cleared and Korra was standing next to Katara, looking over at her former self. She almost didn’t recognize that person before her. How far she had truly come from this point in her life.

Katara bent down in front of Korra’s wheelchair.

“Can you imagine how much pain Aang felt when he learned that his entire culture was taken from him?”

“That… must have been so awful.”

“But he never let it destroy his spirit. He chose to find meaning in his suffering and eventually… found peace.”

“And… what am I going to find if… I get through this?”

“I don’t know, but won’t it be interesting to find out?”

In another blue flash Korra was back in the desert. She looked around and saw all eyes were on her; even Kuvira had stopped attacking.

The Avatar took a few wobbly steps towards the center of the ring. Kuvira positioned herself to fend off an attack. Korra threw her hands in the air to show she wasn’t sparring anymore.

“Kuvira, I understand now why I am doing this,” Korra shouted as she jogged closer.

“What?” Kuvira asked, taking a step backwards.

***
The group of observers all started to cluster together outside of the area.

“What’s going on?” Suyin asked.

Lin shrugged. “Should we go check on them?”

“No, we should give them a few minutes to hash it out,” Jinora said, looking up at Lin with a grin.

***
Korra caught up to where Kuvira was standing. “When you asked me why I was doing this, I didn’t really know why, but it felt like the right thing to do. Now I see this as a greater punishment for you. Death would have been easy. We’re challenging you, Kuvira. I am challenging you, to build a new life for yourself, from the very bottom. And when you do, you will be all the better for it.”

“How do you know?” Kuvira asked, finally lowering her defensive stance.

“Because I’ve been to the bottom. There was a point while I was trying to recover from my poisoning, when I believed I had truly lost my abilities and therefore, who I was. A dear old friend of mine reminded me that I was not the first person to endure intense suffering. When you are in that place you can either let it consume you or you can find meaning in it. I found that I needed to have empathy and compassion for others… I’m still not perfect at it. I’ll admit, this whole time I’ve been more focused on my own stress over having to take your bending away.”

“Really?”

“I actually have had my bending removed, by Amon,” Korra said.

“I didn’t know he did that to you. Obviously it was reversed.”

“Yes, Aang’s spirit was somehow able to restore my abilities. That moment haunts me to this day, so the thought of inflicting that upon another has been difficult.”

“I always believed a leader should never ask something of their people, that they themselves would never do.”

“I admired that about you, even while you were kicking my ass.”

Kuvira let out a soft chuckle. “So… what do you think I am going to find from my experience?”

Korra grinned, “I don’t know, but won’t it be interesting to find out?”

“Does this mean you’re forfeiting the match? I technically win if you do.”

“I am.”

“I see now why people can’t help but believe in you. I guess I can’t resist you anymore,” Kuvira said as she started to kneel in the sand. “I’m ready now, Avatar.”

Korra let out a deep breath and took another step towards Kuvira, positioning herself only a few inches away. She put her fists together and let her eyes close. Her vision turned blue as she felt her spirit connect with Raava’s.

“Korra…” the spirit whispered.

“We’re ready this time, please guide me.”

The Avatar felt energy surge through her body, like a jump start from a satomobile. She was present inside herself, but in a way felt like she wasn’t fully in control. There was a will and force there with her and together they controlled her body as one.

Korra’s eyes shot open and she looked down at the woman before her. Kuvira was clearly doing everything she could to appear calm with the situation. Her eyes were closed, with the indication of strain around the corners of her lids and eyebrows.

The Avatar lifted her right hand and extended out her thumb. Such a small action seemed to take forever to achieve. She lowered it down until it collided with Kuvira’s forehead. At first she just felt sweat and skin.

‘You can now look into her spirit…’ Raava’s voice whispered in Korra’s mind. She let her eyes close to concentrate everything on reaching inside Kuvira’s spirit. In her mind’s eye she saw her hand press through Kuvira’s forehead and reach down inside her. Her hand was passing through what looked like the night sky of the Spirit World. A dark boundless abyss, with small twinkling lights twirling around inside. Her hand stretched deeper until she came upon a glowing green orb. It was the size of an apple, twisting and flickering in the darkness. Korra grasped the orb and felt a surge of energy vibrate through her hand and up her arm. The Avatar pulled and was met with some resistance.

“Let go…” Korra whispered. On her command the ball of light stopped resisting and allowed itself to be carried away. The Avatar’s hand pulled fully out of Kuvira’s spirit and held out the orb in front of her.

“Where does it go?” Korra asked.

“Back to me. It will be passed on to another some day,” Raava whispered back.

Korra felt a smile pull at her lips. “I’m glad.”

The Avatar closed her fist around the orb and felt the energy race through her forearm and into her core. When her hand opened it was empty.

Suddenly, Korra’s eyes shot open and she was out of the Avatar state. Her thumb was still firmly pressed to Kuvira’s forehead. She pulled her hand away and let it fall to her side then took a few steps back to give the other woman some space.

“Kuvira,” she whispered.

The former dictator’s eyes were tightly closed. Tears stained her cheeks. She bowed her head down, keeping her eyes closed, and let out a sigh. Wordlessly she slapped her hands on her thighs and eased herself up. Once she was standing she turned away from Korra and looked out to the desert.

“Thank you… Korra.”

***
An hour later Korra, Lin and Jinora were ready to take off for Republic City. The Beifongs, Bolin and Kuvira stood in the sands to see them off.

“Don’t worry, we’ll make sure to find a good spot in the Fire Nation for Kuvira,” Suyin said to the three women leaving.

Jinora clasped her hands together and turned to Korra. “Asami’s bag!”

“We almost forgot!” Korra exclaimed as she turned and ran up the ramp of the airship. Jinora trailed behind.

Suyin gave Lin a questioning look, and her sister just shrugged back.

The girls quickly returned; Korra had a duffel slung over her shoulder. She walked up to Kuvira, slipped the bag off and passed it over.

“This is from Asami, she figured you could use some clothes that will help you blend in.”

Kuvira looked down at the duffel. “Tell her thank you and that she is a very lucky woman.”

Korra blushed and put a hand behind her head. “I think I’m the lucky one… but-”

Before Korra could finish Kuvira pressed her lips to hers. For a briefest of moments Kuvira dragged her lips over the Avatar’s and then pulled away. Korra could hear the collective gasps from her friends. Kuvira then threw the duffel over her shoulder and started walking towards Suyin’s airship.

Korra’s face was bright red when she turned to look at her audience, who were just as flabbergasted.

“Uh… can we all agree to never tell Asami about this?” the Avatar pleaded.

Everyone quickly nodded.

Bolin raised his hand in the air. “Wait, so, uh?”

Opal sighed and put his hand down. “Just don’t.”

“I always said she was complicated,” Suyin said, crossing her arms.

To be continued...

Chapter 21: Afterwards

Notes:

Hi Everyone, sorry for the hiatus, I needed a little break. This just a little follow up chapter, I aim to get started again on more regular posts come October. Thank you for reading and thank you Toastermarketingboard my wonderful editor!

Chapter Text

***
Once Korra, Lin and Jinora’s airship had taken off, Suyin and her family left soon after. They decided to no longer restrain Kuvira during the last leg of their trip, but still had at least one person watching her. The airship was over halfway to the Fire Nation when Suyin took over the watch.

Former student and teacher sat across from each other on the bench seating of the airship’s deck, much like the last time they were alone together. Kuvira was looking out the window, an option she did not have while she was bound on the dolly.

Suyin looked up from her book, to make sure the young woman was still there. The matriarch couldn’t help but wonder what was going through Kuvira’s mind. There was one action she was particularly curious about.

Suyin sighed and put her book down. “So, you have the hots for the Avatar now?”

“C’mon Suyin, like you’d kick Korra out of bed,” Kuvira replied, still looking out the window.

“Hmph, I’m more of an Avatar Aang fan in that regard. Seriously Kuvira, what were you thinking?”

“It was just a kiss. I’m never going to see her again. I wanted to express my appreciation for what she did for me.”

“A simple handshake will work just fine for the rest of us.”

Kuvira turned towards Suyin, her emotions for the first time in, it seemed like forever, appearing unguarded.

“Does Baatar know what you are doing for me?”

“No, and he never will. Jr. will be led to believe you died, just like everyone else,” Suyin said as she crossed her legs.

“That’s for the best.”

“I know.”

The hum of the airship’s propellers filled the void that the women’s voices left as their conversation stopped.

 

***
Mako’s whole body flinched as his eyes shot open. He palmed the soft mattress, confirming that he wasn’t falling but only waking from a dream. The firebender looked around, and saw he was no longer on the Earth Kingdom airship. He surmised he must be in the Ba Sing Se palace’s infirmary, based on the clinical equipment and gaudy decor.

Mako’s eyes drifted to his left, and he realized he was not alone. A curtain was between him and the next bed, but it was thin enough that he could see the outline of another person.

“Yasmine?” the firebender asked hesitantly, in a quiet voice.

There was no reply. Mako started to slide out of his bed. When his feet touched the cold tile and he tried to stand up, his body gave out. He threw his arms out, grabbing at the sheets of his bed with one hand and the curtain with the other. The firebender’s weight was too great and he collapsed on the floor, taking the sheets and curtain with him.

The crashing of the curtain rod was loud enough to startle the other patient in the room.

“What the hell?” a female voice called out.

“Yasmine?” Mako asked again, pulling the blankets that were obscuring his vision off his face. Once cleared he looked over to his ‘roommate.’

“What are you doing?” Yasmine asked, sitting up in her bed.

The firebender fumbled out of the sheets and started crawling his way back into his own bed.

“I was trying to see if it was you, but my legs gave out.”

Yasmine let out a sigh and laid back down. “I still feel like I was hit by a satomobile”

“Yeah…” Mako replied with a half-hearted chuckle. He had finished pulling all his sheets back onto his bed and was settling back down.

The pair fell quiet, as they looked up at the ceiling. A few moments passed until they both felt too uncomfortable with the silence and started to speak at the same time.

“So…”

“Uh-”

“You go first,” Mako quickly added.

Yasmine rolled over to face Mako. He could feel her eyes, but he remained facing the ceiling.

“What happened back there?”

Mako thought for a moment before answering. “We got electrocuted… when the airship crashed...”

The young woman swallowed hard. “I mean…” Yasmine hesitated.

The firebender’s heart began to pound, catching on to where the conversation was headed. He kept his eyes fixed on a spot on the ceiling, silently praying she wasn’t going to ask what he thought she was going to ask.

“I need you to tell me what really happened.”

***
It was early in the evening when Korra, Lin and Jinora’s airship entered the United Republic’s borders. The three women had ridden home mostly in silence. The fatigue of traveling and staying awake late had finally caught up with them.

Jinora had passed out a few hours back. Her face awkwardly pressed against the window, her small breaths fogging the pane. Lin’s eyes were closed and her arms crossed, but Korra doubted the older woman was asleep. The police chief seemed to be incapable of resting on a mission, even when it was over.

Korra returned her attention to outside her own window. Though they had been gone for roughly a day, it felt like weeks. She then reminded herself that was how long the whole ‘what to do about Kuvira’ situation had been going on. Technically it had been years. All the events were set in motion when the Earth Queen and therefore Earth Kingdom fell and Korra herself ‘fell.’

Korra truly felt like that chapter of her life was now officially over, and she was ready to move on and not let the actions of the past dictate her future any more. New enemies could emerge at any time, and Korra was done fighting the old.

***

The airship eventually touched down at Republic City’s port. They left the aircraft and found themselves alone with just the other airships.

“Some welcome wagon,” Lin said with a grunt.

The trio started making their way towards the city when they saw Tenzin walking towards them. He called out and waved them down.

“Sorry, I wasn’t sure when to expect you all to get back,” Tenzin explained from a distance.

“Dad!” Jinora cried out as she broke from her traveling companions to catch up with her father.

Tenzin opened his arms, accepting his daughter’s embrace.

“I’m so glad you’re home safe.”

Lin and Korra caught up to them.

“Jinora really proved her worth out there, you should be proud of her,” the police chief said, cracking a small smile.

Tenzin looked down at his daughter, still holding onto him tightly. “I am.”

They two finally separated and the small group began to walk together.

“I want to hear all about what happened,” the air master said as they walked.

“All of it?” Lin asked, drawing out the words while giving Korra a sly look.

The Avatar’s eyes widened and she frantically shook her head at Lin. Fortunately they were walking behind the Tenzin and Jinora, so he could not see their conflict.

“Of course I do,” Tenzin said matter-of-factly, oblivious to the implications.

***

By the time the four arrived at Air Temple Island Tenzin was (almost) fully caught up on the events of the last twenty four hours.

Asami and the rest of the airbender family were all waiting at the docks to greet them. It was Korra’s turn to break away from the group. She charged into Asami, lifting her off the ground with a back-popping hug. The engineer giggled as she wrapped her arms around Korra’s neck for support.

After bobbing her girlfriend up and down a few times Korra put Asami back on her feet. They stayed in their embrace, looking each other over.

“What happened to your eyebrow?” Asami asked, leaning in closer to examine the bright scab.

Korra grazed a few fingers over the spot in question.

“It looks worse than it is. I got tagged sparring with Kuvira.”

“You sparred?” Asami asked, cocking her head.

The Avatar shook her head, not knowing where to start.“It’s a long story.”

“I wanna hear about it!” Meelo called out as he ran closer to the girls.

“Me too!” Ikki added, following her brother.

“You won, right Korra?” the young boy pressed.

Pema walked over and ushered her children away. “Korra can tell you all about it over dinner, why don’t you kids come inside and get cleaned up first?”

Korra and Asami watched Lin and the arbender family walk towards the temple. Once the group was far enough away they leaned into each other for a kiss.

“I’m so glad you’re back in one piece,” Asami murmured, ducking her head down to Korra’s neck. “So it’s done?”

Korra let out a long sigh and then replied, “It is.”

The Avatar made moves to separate and Asami followed.

“Walk with me a bit before we go in?” Korra asked.

The girls took each others hands and began to walk to the perimeter of the island. They took a narrow rocky path down to the beach, and silently sat down side by side on a driftwood log.

The ocean waves washed over the rocky beach in a slow and steady rhythm. As the water receded off the pebbles it crackled and popped. The sun had started to dip into the water and was too bright to look directly at.

Korra turned to the woman beside her. “Asami, I wanted to thank you for telling me the truth about Kuvira’s trial, and setting this whole rescue mission in motion. I know I must have made you question your decision by the way I acted. I now can confidently say, this was the right thing to do. Suyin made it clear to me that this choice was largely based on your concern for my well being.”

The Avatar moved so she was kneeling on the beach before Asami. She reached out grasped both of her hands.

“I’m so lucky to have someone in my life who understands me the way you do. I’m so excited about the future, I have no idea what to expect, and that’s what’s making me excited. I do know that I want to spend as much of it with you as I possibly can. I know I promised I’d stop talking about the past, but now I am truly ready to fullfill that promise. I am here, I am present and I am healed.”

Asami’s green eyes began to blur with unshed tears as she silently looked down at her girlfriend.

“Say something,” Korra whispered.

The engineer pulled one of her hands away to wipe at her eyes.

“You don’t know how many nights… I dreamed about you coming home and saying those last three words.”

The two women looked at each other, unsure what else to say. They both felt sure enough that they didn't need to.

Korra broke eye contact for a moment and looked in the direction of the temple. The outside lights had turned on. An evening fog had crept in, diffusing their glow. She could almost hear the commotion that was likely going on inside. As a wave of deja vu washed over the Avatar a grin tugged at her lips and grew into a full smile.

“You know, after all this, I could use a vacation,” Korra whispered as she turned to Asami.

The engineer quirked an eyebrow and gave her eyes one more wipe before resting her hands in her lap.

“That’s my line, and we're going on a vacation in a few days,” Asami replied, with a smile of her own. “But this time as girlfriends.”

“Sounds perfect.”

“It really does.”

To be continued...

*********************
End of Part One

Chapter 22: Vacation in the South: Part One

Notes:

Thank you for your patience on this next chapter and thank you ToasterMarketingBoard, you're the best!

Chapter Text

The Next Chapters:Part Two

***

It was late morning at the South Pole. Chief Tonraq and his wife Senna were prepping their home for the arrival of their daughter and her friend Asami the following day. Korra requested they spend their time together in the family home closer to the edge of town instead of at the palace. It had been a few months since the couple had been in the old home, so a fair amount of work to needed to be done to freshen it up.

“So where do you want to put the girls?” Tonraq asked as he opened up the linen closet.

“Well, Korra is going to sleep in her room, obviously,” Senna replied as she brushed past him with a broom.

“You don’t think it will be cramped in there for two?”

“Two?”

The chief shrugged. “I assume they’ll want to sleep together in the same room.”

“We don’t know that, Tonraq,” Senna said, slowing her sweeping strokes.

“I thought we agreed we’re going to support our daughter no matter what, remember?”

Senna picked up her pace, moving away from her husband. “Yes, no matter what, but we don’t even know if there is a ‘no matter what,’ to support.”

Tonraq poked his head out of the closet to look at his wife. “Huh?”

“We don’t know if she’s that way. So can we please err on the side of caution that she’s not, so we don’t accidentally embarrass our daughter over nothing?”

Tonraq sighed and nodded his head in agreement. He picked up the stack of blankets he had been collecting and headed towards the guest room.

Since receiving word that Korra was coming home, he and his wife had been butting heads about how to treat their daughter and her guest.

After Tonraq’s visit with Katara he was ninety percent certain about his daughter being in a relationship with Asami. Then they received a call from Korra, saying she was coming down for a visit and bringing just Asami, which solidified his convictions.

The chief and his wife had even talked again about their daughter’s possible relationship after that visit with Katara. Tonraq shared with Senna what the older woman had with him about different preferences being common among Avatars. Senna was the one to bring up the idea in the first place, yet she seemed just as uncomfortable now as she did when she initially mentioned it. He just didn’t understand.

Tonraq heard the front door open and close followed by the sound of his daughter’s voice.

“Mom, Dad, we’re here!” Korra announced.

He made his way into the foyer to greet the girls. He heard his wife trailing not far behind him.

“Korra, you’re here sooner than we expected.”

His daughter grinned and shrugged before dropping her bag on the floor. She then moved in for a hug.

“We took Asami’s airship, it’s faster than the scheduled flight.”

“Great, that means more time together,” Tonraq said as he wrapped his large arms around her.

“It’s so great to see you.”

“It’s great to see you too Dad.”

Senna stepped forward and swooped in to grab Korra after she separated from her father. “Oh Korra,” Senna murmured, burying her face into the crook of her daughter’s neck.

“Hi Mom, it’s good to be home.”

Korra pulled away from her mother, who resisted at first, like she wasn’t quite ready to let her go, then walked back beside Asami.

Tonraq took the cue and stepped forward extending his hand to the young woman.

“Asami, nice to see you again.”

“Thank you for having me,” Asami said as she recieved his hand. The engineer then reached down and picked up one of the bags she had brought and held it out to Senna. “I brought you some treats from the specialty deli I frequent in Republic City. Korra helped me pick out the things that are hard to come by out here.”

Senna took the gift bag and smiled. “Oh, thank you. Welcome to our home.”               

“Why don’t you girls drop off your bags and we can catch up?” Tonraq suggested.

Korra reached down grabbing her duffel and then swooped over and grabbed one of Asami’s large suitcases.

“You pack too much,” the Avatar said with a grin, heading in the direction of the bedrooms.

“It was hard to know what kind of clothes to pack for this weather,” Asami rebutted as they disappeared into the home.

Senna and Tonraq watched the two girls leave.

“What do we get in there?” the chief asked trying to poke a finger into the bag.

His wife pushed the bag into his arms and headed out of the foyer. “I’m going to go get some tea started.”

***

The late summer wind gently tugged on Tenzin’s robes as he sat in the lotus position in the island’s gazebo. A few days ago he had been sitting in the same spot, but with Korra by his side. They had just finished privately discussing in full the events with Kuvira in the desert.

“Tenzin, I’m going to tell my parents about Asami and me while we’re in the south. When we get back, I’d like to go public with our relationship.” Korra said, looking out to the calm ocean waters.

Tenzin suppressed the sigh he wanted to release at Korra’s words. “I’d be lying if I said I didn’t have reservations about you doing that. The world has not been the kindest to people in your... situation.”

“Asami kinda warned me about that… but I don’t want to lie. Especially after everything we’ve just been through.”

“Korra, I don’t want you to harbor too much guilt over lying about Kuvira. What should have happened, happened. Kuvira paid for her crimes. She gave up her bending, and in name and identity, died. The Earth Kingdom has the closure they need and those most connected to Kuvira have theirs. But I can see why you want to be as truthful as possible moving forward. Realistically, we don’t have much of a choice, do we? You picked a woman with almost as high of a profile as your own. I will support you in any way that I can, but I must admit, these are uncharted waters for me.”

“I don’t really know what I am getting myself into with all of this. It wasn’t until Asami that I was able to put a name on the feelings I was having. I’ve been unpopular enough already to realize I only care about how the important people in my life feel about me... You know, I’m a little surprised you haven’t really talked to me about this.”

Tenzin cleared his throat.“The news was a bit of a surprise, but I am truly happy for you Korra. Of all the partners you could have chosen to go through this with, I think Asami has proven she has what it takes to be a part of your life.”

Korra blushed. “Something about being with her feels… right. Right in a way I’ve never experienced before. It’s like I feel it all the way down to my spirit.”

Tenzin nodded at the young woman’s words and stroked his beard thoughtfully.“I felt that way and still feel that way about Pema. Korra, you’ve really grown up so much, and it has made me aware that it is time for me to have a more open dialogue with you as you start to move into your adult role as the Avatar.

“I want you to know that I am a member of the White Lotus, as are all the bending masters you have learned from. My father and the White Lotus made some very dramatic changes to how you started your life as Avatar and how future Avatars will start their lives as the world continually changes. His experience during his Avatar training was a reflection of the times. It had been a hundred years since an Avatar had existed and during that time so much about grooming the Avatar was lost. Aang and the White Lotus dedicated their time to continually learning and  preserving all there is to know about the Avatar. We are still learning, and a lot of that comes from you, the first Avatar fully raised under these conditions.”

“Yeah, so how’s it working out?” Korra asked, positioning her hands behind her and leaning backwards.

“We’re ready to start asking you that. I am going to contact the White Lotus and inform them of your decision. They will likely send someone out here to be your counsel through this process.”

“They’re going to ween me off of you?”

“Korra, I will always been here as your counsel. We are just going to start introducing you to some of the other people available to you.”

“Dad?”

Tenzin came back to the present at the sound of his name. The Air Master turned around to see his eldest daughter and a young man he did not recognize. He was of a slight build, tall and pale. Narrow rectangular glasses covered his rust colored eyes. His long black hair was tied up in a messy bun.

The man bowed. “Master Tenzin, it is an honor to meet you. My name is Zhou Rhen.”

Tenzin rose from his seated position to properly greet his guest.

“You must be from the White Lotus. Honestly, I was expecting someone a bit older.”

“My master recently retired. I assure you, I have been training for my role for a long time.”

“What is going on?” Jinora asked, taking a step towards her father.

“Jinora, Zhou Rhen is here to be Korra’s counsel for her upcoming… announcement.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Korra has decided she would like to open up, publicly, about her relationship with Miss Sato.”

“So, she has us,” the young airbender pressed.

Zhou Rhen put a hand to his chest. “I’m not here to step on anyone’s toes.”

“He has been trained specifically to counsel the Avatar and their relationships. He has been called here a little more urgently because of Korra’s plans, but he was going to be introduced as an asset to her eventually.”

“Fine,” Jinora said in a huff.

The two men watched the young woman march away.

“I apologize for that. That was my daughter Jinora; she is my eldest. I just started having her train with Korra in the event that she has to take over my role. Our situation with the Avatar has been unique; we’ve had special access to Korra, she is a part of our family, in many different ways. It will likely not be this way if Jinora is the airbending teacher to the next Avatar. Please understand this is going to be a transitional period for all of us as Korra moves into her adult role.”

“Even though I am here for Korra, I’m available if anyone needs to talk.”

“I appreciate that.” Tenzin gestured towards the temple. “Let me show you your quarters.

***

Asami just barely turned the lights out in her room when she saw the door crack open. Korra’s backlit head poked through the opening and whispered “Asami… hey Asami.”

The engineer slipped out of bed and met her girlfriend at the door. “Korra, what are you doing?”

“Come sleep with me in my room.”

“Don’t you think we should wait until you’ve told your parents about us?”

“I plan on telling them in the morning.” Korra casually leaned against the doorframe. “I know you’re cold in here all by your lonesome.”

Asami’s expression softened and she followed her girlfriend down the hall. Korra’s bedroom door clicked shut and they felt safe to speak at a normal volume. Korra slipped into her bed and flipped up the covers inviting Asami in.

“You know, I was expecting a lot more furs on the beds and antlers on the walls. Maybe that was just part of my romanticized idea of staying with the Water Tribe,” Asami said as she got comfortable. Her eyes glanced around Korra’s childhood room.

“It’s not that cold in our buildings anymore. Now people mainly have furs for decoration, if at all.”

“Oh well, I’ll just have to let that fantasy go,” the engineer sighed.

“Huh?”

“You know what I mean.”

Korra mouth turned upwards into her classic grin. “No I don’t, tell me.”

“How about I go fur shopping tomorrow while you talk to your parents and then I can show you.”

Korra scooted closer to Asami and then turned onto her side, propping her head up with her hand.

“Thanks for coming out here with me. I want this to make up for our Spirit World vacation getting cut short. I think it’s safe to say that now we can finally relax.”

A smiled tugged on Asami’s lips as she looked down at Korra beside her. “That vacation will always be special to me; multiple interruptions, being cut short and all. Thank you for bringing me here with you. I’m excited to get to know more about your home and family.”

“You’ll see what you’re getting yourself into.”

“I think I’ve been on enough adventures with you to know full well what I’ve signed up for.”

Asami reached out and traced a finger along the top of Korra’s left eyebrow. The Avatar’s eyes closed at the light contact.

“How’s it look?”

“The cream worked, you can barely see a scar.”

Korra let out an exaggerated sigh.“Darn, I was hoping it didn’t. I thought a big scar up there would make me look tough.”

“You’re tough enough without it. Besides, it would have made you look villainous more than anything,” Asami said, leaning down and kissing the scar in question. “I’m just happy you came back in one piece.”

***

Senna was already in bed when Toraq joined her in the bedroom. She was sitting up, with the light still on, her hands folded in front of her. Typically she read in bed, but her book was still on the nightstand. He moved across the room to a closet to change into his bed clothes unaware of the tense state his wife was stewing in.

“I don’t think I can do this...” Senna uttered, so quietly Tonraq had to poke his head out of the closet to confirm she had indeed said something at all.

“Senna?” he asked.

Senna looked away from her husband; she had felt more comfortable speaking when he wasn’t staring her down.

“I feel crazy, like I’m reading into every look, every gesture that passes between them. Then I think about if they are together that way, what would they even do?”

Tonraq closed his eyes and thought back to the couple from his old tribe. He could still vividly picture the bender having his wounds tenderly dressed by his husband and the sick feeling of guilt he had for ostracizing them despite his first hand knowledge that they truly were no different.

“They love and care for eachother, like any other couple Senna. That is what they do,” Tonraq replied a little more sternly than he meant to. He retreated back into the closet to finish changing. The silence in the room quickly became unbearable as Tonraq wrestled with the swell of thoughts and feelings circling through him. He did not want to lash out at his wife for not accepting their daughter as easily as he had. His experience with the two men in his village, had demonstrated to him so clearly the disconnect others had with homeosexual people… If only he could explain it in a way that would make Senna understand.

***

A bright sunray poked through the closed curtain in Korra’s room onto Asami’s face, waking her from sleep. She could still feel Korra cuddled up beside her, one arm shoved under Asami’s pillow and the other flopped across her waist.

Asami was tempted to stay put, to savor the warmth and comfort of being in bed with Korra, but she needed to make herself scarce before anyone else got up. She slowly started to slip her body out from under Korra’s, until she had both feet on the cold floor. Before she stood up, she glanced back at her girlfriend.

Korra had woken up from the movement and was peering up at her with sleepy eyes. Asami smiled and bent her body down to press her lips to the Avatar’s. Her stomach fluttered at the feeling of their warm and sleepy lips locking and moving together.

Asami felt herself getting pulled back into the bed by Korra’s strong arms. The Avatar draped the taller girl’s body flat on top of hers, and held her in place around the hips. Asami kept herself upright with her hands, which were pressing against Korra’s upper chest. Her fingers curled around the Avatar’s sleeping-shirt collar.

“You’re making it hard to leave,” Asami whispered, nestling her head into the crook of her girlfriend’s neck. She pressed her lips onto the soft skin, feeling Korra’s rapid heart beat on her pulse point.

“Then stay,” Korra breathed. Her hands started to wander up Asami’s sides, pulling the fabric of her nightshirt up along with them.

Asami quietly groaned, frustrated that her girlfriend had initiated this now, when she should be halfway out the door and heading towards town, instead of last night. But Korra was just too warm and inviting, so she decided to thrown caution to the wind and let her teeth out on Korra’s neck. Slowly she nipped and sucked down to the Avatar’s collarbone.

The sound of a door clicking shut and of footsteps down the hall could be heard outside the room. Asami started to pull away but Korra held her firmly in place at her rib cage. She looked down to see her shirt was hiked halfway up her middle. The engineer looked at her girlfriend, her bright blue eyes sparkling and wild.

Korra started sliding her hands upwards until they were parallel with Asami’s breasts. If she moved up any farther they would be exposed. Asami gave her a slight nod of permission to keep moving and sat up onto Korra’s stomach to help remove the garment over her head.

Before Asami could even toss the shirt aside she felt Korra’s explorative touch on her chest. She smiled and then leaned back down, seeking out Korra’s lips with her own.

“Korra are you awake?” Senna asked as she gently knocked outside.

The girls froze, both turning their attention to the door.

Korra’s voice cracked as she called out, “I’ll be up in a minute Mom!”

“Okay, I’ll be in the kitchen getting breakfast ready.”

Once the sound of footsteps faded the girls relaxed into each other, both letting out long breaths.

“I’m glad you’re telling them today,” Asami sighed, toying with a few strands of her girlfriend’s hair. “Not that telling them will make fooling around in your parents’ home any less awkward.”

“I’m not fooling with you, I’m dead serious about this,” Korra said, trying to casually touch the engineer’s breasts one more time.

Asami rolled her eyes and pulled herself upright. Her girlfriend mirrored the action.

“I should go first and then you can sneak back to your room,” Korra said in a more serious tone.

Asami scooted to the foot of the bed and looked around for her nightshirt. Korra moved until she was behind Asami and wrapped her arms around the engineer’s waist, resting her head on her back.

“Korra, do you want me to leave or not?” Asami asked, pretending to sound annoyed.

The Avatar pressed a kiss on her shoulder blade. “I want... you.”

Asami felt her face heat up and redden at her girlfriend’s admission. She swallowed hard before responding. “I want you too Korra.”

“I’m still scared, but… I want you more,” Korra said quietly.

Asami turned around, causing Korra to let go of her hold. The two women looked to each other, both their faces flush. Asami searched Korra’s bright blue eyes to see if she truly meant what she said. Satisfied, she smiled and reached out a hand to touch Korra’s cheek. She then guided their faces together. Asami let their lips hover over each other, until Korra got impatient and crashed them together. After a few heated moments Asami broke the kiss and pulled away. She slipped her shirt back on and gave Korra a wink before sneaking out the door. After it shut Korra flopped down on her bed like a starfish and let out a long content sigh.

***

The Avatar waited a few minutes for her heart rate and face color to return to normal before she left the room. She felt like she could take on Zaheer again as she walked through her family’s home and into the kitchen.

“Morning Mom!” Korra said gleefully as she pulled a chair out for herself and sat down at the table. “Asami is going into town for a little bit, so it will just be the three of us for breakfast.”

“Oh, okay,” Senna said with a smile, before turning back to the stove.

The Avatar tapped her hands on the table, feeling too energized to sit still.

Senna cleared her throat before speaking. “So Honey, do you have any trips planned with any of your other friends?”

Korra looked over at her mother, whose attention was on the food she was cooking. “Naw, Mako’s doing work over in the Earth Kingdom, and Bolin… I guess he’s pretty available. He and his girlfriend Opal, Asami and I could all go somewhere together.”

“Oh…”

“Though I probably shouldn’t take any more vacations after this for a little while. I just wanted to come out here to see you guys, and make up for Asami and my Spirit World vacation getting cut short,” the Avatar said, still drumming her hands on the table as she rattled on. “I wonder if I should go to the Earth Kingdom when I get back… It seems like it’s just all politics at this point… I don’t know if Asami could take any more time away from work to come too.”

Tonraq entered the room. “It’s so great to wake up to see my two favorite girls together.”

“Dad, have a seat,” Korra said patting the spot on the table next to her.

The chief sat down next to his daughter and took a glance around the room. “Where is Asami?”

“She’s gone into town so we could be alone for a bit.” Korra looked at her hands on the table, took a deep breath and then looked back to her father. “Because there is something I want to tell you two.”

***

Senna froze at her daughter’s words. A shaky hand put down her spatula on the counter. She felt her heart start to beat rapidly, and so she grasped the counter beside the discarded utensil to steady herself.

“You can tell us anything Korra,” she heard Tonraq say in a gentle voice.

Korra sucked in a deep breath before speaking. “Asami and I are in a relationship. I love her very much.”

“Oh!” Tonraq said, in a tone Senna could tell her husband was faking. “I must say I am a little surprised, but if you two are in love, I think that is wonderful.”

“It’s wonderful?” The question Senna thought she was asking in her mind was suddenly audible for all to hear.

Korra’s mother slapped a hand over her mouth and looked to her husband and daughter. They were both staring at her, shocked and confused. Tears she had been fighting the past two days broke free. Panicked, Senna rushed out of the kitchen.

***

Korra’s stomach fell as she watched her mother cover her face and dash out of the kitchen. She looked to her father who had his own head in his hands, propping himself up by his elbows on the table.

“Dad?”

“Just let her go, Korra,” her father sighed.

The two sat in silence for a moment, then Tonraq threw his hands off his face and slapped them on the table. The dishware make a loud clank at the contact. He shot up from his seat, knocking the chair out from behind him.

“C’mon, let’s go for a walk.”

Korra and her father walked in silence. They made their way outside of the home and to the opening of the wooded trail on the property. As they walked it started to lightly snow.

The Avatar looked up at the patchy white trees surrounding them. Even though she was home for a few years, she barely went outside and enjoyed the natural beauty of the South Pole. She made a mental note to take advantage of it on this vacation. Korra’s gaze eventually drifted to her father’s broad form walking a few paces in front of her.

“Dad?” Korra tried again.

Tonraq slowed his steps, allowing Korra to catch up with him so they could walk side by side.

“I’m sorry sweetheart, I need to be honest with you. We kind of already knew about you and Asami.”

“Really? You and everyone else,” Korra sighed, and kicked her foot in the snow. “I feel like I was the last one to know.”

Tonraq chuckled at his daughter. “In a blizzard, it’s hard to see what is right in front of you.” He squeezed Korra’s shoulder before continuing. “I want you to know, what I said is true. I do think it’s wonderful. Asami, I don’t know her too well, I’d like to change that while you’re both here, but she seems to care for you very much.”

With his hand on her shoulder, Tonraq ushered them farther along the path.

“I had a moment of panic myself about it. I was worried about what people would think of you, what they would think of me. Katara and Kya helped me realize that doesn’t matter. As a father, I want you to find someone who will love and care for you, and as long as that someone does, it shouldn’t matter what they are.”

Korra blinked a few times, clearing the tears from her eyes before wrapping her arms around her father’s broad body. Tonraq stopped and reciprocated the hug.

“I love you Dad.”

“I love you too Korra,” the Chief whispered.

“So I take it Mom’s still having some trouble with it?”

Tonraq nodded.

“Maybe I shouldn’t have sprung this on you guys with Asami here…”

“No, I think this will help your mother see that you two are just like any other couple. Just be gentle with her this week, give her a little extra attention.”

“Okay.”

The pair started walking again.

“So… uh how’d you guys already know we’re dating?”

Tonraq’s face turned a little pink. “Well we weren’t certain. Your mother stumbled upon your little stash of letters. This happened when we discovered you were lying to us about being in Republic City.”

“I’m really sorry about that.”

“Your mother was worried sick about you, that was why she snooped.”

The Avatar shrugged. “It’s fine, I wasn’t hiding them. Asami wrote to me a lot while I was recovering. I kept them tucked away from the other letters because… I didn’t really know why, but I see how that would be interpreted now…”

“It wasn’t too hard to pick up on how Asami feels about you in those letters.”

Korra’s shoulders slumped. “You read them too?”

“I wanted to see what your mother was going on about.”

“You know, nothing has been private about our relationship. I wanted to come home to tell you guys first because when I get back to Republic City we’re not going to keep it secret. Maybe I should postpone it.”

“You two will figure out a way to create your own space. That is something all public figure couples have to do. Since we’re getting everything out, I guess it’s a good time to give you these.”

Tonraq reached into his jacket and then held out to Korra two small leather bound books.

Korra turned them over in her hands. “These aren’t mine.”

“I know, these were Avatar Aang’s diaries. Katara gave them to me to read and give to you. They were written by Aang during a-uh confusing time in his life.”

“Sounds interesting.” Korra took one book and thumbed through a few pages.

“We should probably head back and check on your mother.”

***

After Senna’s outburst in the kitchen, she ran into in her bedroom, and threw herself on the bed. Tears flowed freely onto the pillow she shoved her face into. Korra really was romantically involved with  Asami. Part of Senna was relieved to finally know her fear was valid, while another was sad it was true. To her own surprise she was mostly upset with herself.

“It’s wonderful?”

Senna felt shame wash over her as she thought of her reaction to her daughter’s earnest confession. Perhaps it was Tonraq’s word choice; ‘wonderful’ was just so far from her own feelings.

Senna understood having a close friendship, where you love that person like family. She could acknowledge that Asami was a very beautiful woman, a little flashy, but she was from the city. What Senna didn’t understand was why her daughter would want to be with her friend Asami in that way.

Senna had taken little comfort from Katara’s relayed information that because their daughter was the Avatar, it was likelier for her to be this way. It felt like just one more reason why she should have had another child, one that could have lived a more normal life.

After wallowing for a while Senna lifted herself up and made her way into her bedroom closet. She rummaged around and pulled out a small box, then brought it with her back to the bed and opened it up.

“Mom?”

Senna looked up at the sound of her name.

“Korra.”

“Want some company?”

Senna didn’t respond so Korra took a seat beside her mother.

“I have a special box of my own,” Senna said, running her hands along the ornate wood before reaching inside. Senna held up a photograph so they could both see it. “Look how cute you were. This was taken maybe a month before we discovered you were the Avatar.”

“I was a chubby kid.”

“You just had that little pooch. You grew out of it.” Senna passed the photo to her daughter and then reached in for another one. “Here you are on your twelfth birthday. We got to bring you home from the compound for a few days.”

Korra snorted at the photo. “That was a clearly an awkward year for me. Thanks for documenting it. What’s that?”

Senna reached in and grabbed the object in question and passed it to her daughter. “This is a rock your father gave me while we were dating. He found it on one of his hunting trips.”

Korra inspected the rock. “It’s pretty,” she said, passing the rock back to her mother. Senna placed it in her box.

“Tonraq used to bring me all sorts of little treasures from his hunting trips. He would go off for days at a time with his friend Raake. They were very close...”

“Mom…”

Senna continued, “I had a very close friend when I was a teenager, Talia. She lived next door, we did everything together. I couldn’t imagine that ever changing, then she got a boyfriend, and not long after I met your father. I understand having a special friend but…”

“There’s not much to get Mom. We are in love.”

“But you’re both girls, and what about Mako? You dated a boy and now a girl…”

“That because I have the capacity to like girls and boys. This didn’t happen overnight. I was attracted to girls on and off, and since I also liked boys, I didn’t look too deeply into my feelings. I thought maybe it was some past life weirdness,” the Avatar said with a shrug.

Senna kept her eyes on the box. Korra sounded so confident, and assured of what she was saying, as if she was discussing the weather. Senna suddenly felt very small.

“It wasn’t until I fell in love with Asami, that I’ve acted on my feelings for a girl. The feeling was so strong and for the first time it felt like another girl felt something back. We had a connection. I wasn’t certain, but I took a risk. Turned out she feels the same way.”

The Avatar looked down at her hands. She felt her face turning a little pink.

“I can’t describe how wonderful it felt, having a feeling I felt all alone in, reciprocated. Asami taught me that there are other people like me, and like her. That it’s a human thing.”

“A human thing,” Senna repeated.

Korra turned her body so she was facing her mother directly. She placed her hands on top of her mother’s, which were still wrapped around the box.

“I love you Mom, but this is a part of me. I understand if having us here while you sort out your feelings about it might be too difficult. Just say the word and we will go. I want you to be okay with this on your terms, but accepting our relationship is part of mine.”

Senna had to admit, she was a bit taken aback by Korra’s words. She would never ask her daughter to leave. Senna moved her hands from the box and clasped them around Korra’s. Her hands looked so small and frail in comparison. She remembered a time when her daughter was the smaller one, but that was a long time ago. Korra took after her father, tall and broad.

Senna looked up to meet Korra’s eyes. There was no sign of the broken girl who came home three years ago, just a confident young woman.

“I don’t want you to go,” Korra’s mother said in a quiet voice.

“Good, because I don’t want to leave.”

“I’m going to need help Korra. I don’t understand... but I want to.”

Korra let go of her mother’s hands to grasp her shoulders, and pull the smaller woman in for a hug.

“Thank you Mom.”


To be continued...

Chapter 23: Vacation in the South: Part Two

Notes:

Thank you Toastermarketingboard for your council and editing!

Chapter Text

Pema looked around the unusually quiet breakfast she and her family were sharing. The only one talking was Meelo, to an unresponsive Tenzin. She didn’t count Rohan’s soft chatter as he played with his food. Jinora was very consciously looking only at her bowl, while Ikki seemed to be oblivious to the food in front of her.

Once Pema finished eating, she picked up her own bowl and rose from the table. This triggered the three mobile children getting up from their spots and announcing they were done. The trio quickly scattered from the table, all in different directions. Pema sighed, dropped her bowl back on the table and sat down next to her husband.

“Is something going on that I’m not aware of?” Pema asked.

Tenzin sighed and put down his chopsticks. Before he could speak, a young man Pema did not recognize entered the room.

“Good morning, I was wondering if I could get a little breakfast?”

“Dear, this is Zhou Rhen. He is the White Lotus member here to meet with Korra when she returns from her vacation.”

Pema rose from her seat and gestured to the table. “Welcome, please take a seat and I’ll go get you some porridge.”

Zhou Rhen politely bowed and took a seat across from Tenzin.

“Do you know when Avatar Korra will be returning?”

Tenzin absentmindedly stroked his beard. “I do not, and I am hesitant to contact her to ask. Korra was quite adamant that she would be back when she was ready. This trip is to make up for one we had to interrupt to…” the Air Master caught himself before he let their little secret slip. “To be present for the high profile trials. I didn’t think you would arrive so quickly when I put in the request.”

Pema returned with a steaming bowl and placed it in front of their guest.

“Thank you… uh?”

She smiled and offered her hand. “Pema.”

“Thank you Pema,” Zhou Rhen finished.

“If you need anything during your stay, come see me,” Pema replied. She then started collecting the bowls her three children had left behind and the one Rohan had shoved away from his place setting.

“Speaking of Korra’s trip,” Tenzin started, clearing his throat. “She reported that while she and Miss Sato were in the Spirit World time had moved slower. What was around three weeks here, was one week for them.”

Zhou Rhen nodded as he listened. “That is peculiar, have you reported that finding?”

“I have not, so much has been going on here with the trials, and the reconstruction, that I have not been able to make any reports back to our organization. I’m sure they are aware of the new portal; I expect they’ll be out investigating it soon enough.”

“I can let them know. Until Avatar Korra returns I’ve got a lot of free time. I was hoping I could maybe speak with you and your family about her, to get a better understanding of who she is before I am formally introduced. Is it okay that I speak to your children about Avatar Korra?”

Tenzin toyed with his beard again. “I don’t see why not… maybe leave Jinora out of the questioning for now? I need to speak with her first.”

“Understood.”

***

It was a little after twelve when Asami reached the outside of the Korra’s parents’ home. Time seemed to have zipped by while she was in town. Once she made it to the shops she had forgotten all about the possibly tense conversation Korra was having in her absence, until now.

Asami’s stomach clenched as she hauled her several bags up the steps. She put a few bags down to grab the door handle, but it opened on its own.

“Asami!” Korra said gleefully. “I was just about to go looking for you.”

“Here I am.”

“You buy something from every shop in town?” the Avatar asked as she collected the bags Asami had set down.

Asami redistributed her own bags and started inside. “Pretty much.”

Once the girls and bags were all in the foyer, Korra closed the large door behind them. Asami moved closer, giving the Avatar a quick peck while they were still alone.

“How did it go?” the engineer asked in a soft tone.

“Dad’s all for it and Mom is a little lukewarm. They’re in the kitchen right now, ready to join them?”

“As I’ll ever be.”

Korra took Asami’s hand. “Here we go.”

“Oh, wait,” Asami said, jerking them back. She reached down and picked up one of the many bags.

“Asami’s back!” Korra gleefully announced as she escorted her girlfriend into the kitchen.

The Avatar’s parents occupied one side of the table and the girls took seats on the other. The four of them sat for a moment looking at each other.

“So I was just telling them about our vacation in the Spirit World...” Korra said breaking the silence.

Asami felt her cheeks instinctively flush at the mention of that trip. She couldn’t help but always think of what came of that trip over what else they had done.

“We could always take a day trip over to the southern portal Asami, if you want to see another side of the Spirit World,” Tonraq suggested.

“I would like that.”

The chief turned to his daughter “We could do that tomorrow, take a couple of the snowmobiles, pack a lunch.”

Asami reached down to pull up the bag beside her. “Speaking of food, I thought Korra and I could cook dinner tonight.”

“You did?” the Avatar asked.

Tonraq leaned back in his seat, placing his two large arms behind his head. “That sounds good to me.”

“I also, purchased a pair of tickets to a mover screening they’re doing in town,” Asami said, sliding a small envelope over towards Senna, who was seated directly across from her.

“A mover! Honey we’ve been talking about wanting to see one of those.”

“We have…” Senna said as she tentatively accepted the envelope in front of her.

Korra looked to Asami before turning back to her parents. “Go have some fun, and we’ll take care of things here.”

The chief slapped his hands on the table to support himself as he rose out of the chair.  “C’mon Senna, looks like we’ve been given a pass to go goof off.”

Tonraq was out of the room, while Senna hesitated in her seat. She looked to her daughter for reassurance. Asami reached out a hand and lightly placed it on Senna’s to get her attention.

“I appreciate you and Tonraq’s hospitality, making dinner is the least I can do,” she said earnestly.

Senna gave a slight nod of acceptance and a small smile. “Okay, we’ll be back after the mover. Korra knows where the wood for the stove is, it takes about half an hour to fully warm up.”

“Have fun!” Korra called out to her mother as she left. The Avatar then turned to her girlfriend beside her. “I hope you know what you’re doing. I can feed myself, but I’d never say that I can cook.”

“I’d say the same about myself, which is why I had the woman at the market write out the recipe for us.”

Korra poked into the bag to see what they would be working with. “So what are we making?”

“Traditional otter seal stew. I asked what was a good meal to make that was easy, but would still impress your in-laws.”

“Leaving out the part about those ‘in-laws’ being the chief and his wife.”

“She didn’t need to know the whole story,” Asami replied with a flip of her hair. “Now why don’t you start the fire, while I organize the ingredients.”

Korra nodded and got up from her chair.

***

A few hours later Torang and Senna returned from their mover screening. Despite the story being far more action based than was to her liking, Senna had to admit it was an amazing technology. Her husband kept leaning over to her during the show, asking how they did this or how they did that. He had a child-like curiosity about the mover ‘magic’.

The screening was held down at the town recreational hall, but the owner of the equipment announced that he had plans of building his own theater if he could get enough public interest. Senna knew her husband wouldn’t stand in the way of its construction.

The couple marched up the steps and made their way inside. The house seemed fairly quiet, the only light and sound coming from the kitchen. As Senna walked closer, she could hear that the noise was coming from the radio; Korra must have moved it from the study. She reached the entrance of the kitchen, and clearly her daughter and girlfriend had not heard their arrival home. Oblivious to the fact that they were being watched, the two young woman stood closely side by side at the sink.

Korra was washing the dishes and Asami drying. Her daughter passed a large pan over and Asami began to wipe it down. She stopped and examined the pan before passing it back over.

“This one is still dirty.”

“What?” Korra asked, begrudgingly taking the pan back and looking it over herself. “I scrubbed this one so much, that’s gotta just be permanent.”

“It wasn’t that way when I pulled it out from the cupboard,” Asami rebutted.

The Avatar sighed and put the pan back into the sudsy sink with a splash.

“Just let it soak a bit.”

Korra turned to her girlfriend, and put a wet hand on her hip. “You know, if you’re so concerned about the way the dishes are washed, we could switch.”

Asami didn’t look, but instead picked up another dish and began to dry it off.  “I know how to wash the dishes, this is for your benefit. I’m domesticating you.”

“I’m housebroken!”

“Barely, but give me some time.”

“You want to change me,” Korra huffed, pretending to be offended. She turned away from the taller girl.

Asmai took the bait and put her rag down. She moved behind the Avatar and wrapped her arms around the shorter girl’s waist. “You know I’m teasing.”

“It makes me wonder, if you wouldn’t instead want someone that’s more… I don’t know… sophisticated?”

“Of course not, I love you because you are nothing like the snobs I deal with on a daily basis. You’re so genuine, Korra. You could just stand to learn a few skills that will help you be more independent.”

“Okay mom,” the Avatar groaned, breaking away from her girlfriend’s grasp. Asami moved over to the sink and ushered Korra to the drying area.

“The good thing about having a partner, is we can always take turns, and make up for each other’s weakness. We both have things to offer each other.”

Korra flashed her a lopsided grin and picked up the rag. “So that means from now on you’ll wash and I’ll dry?”

“Because I love you, yes,” Asami replied, passing a dish over.

“I wonder if I could airbend these dry…”

Senna felt a hand on her shoulder, and she looked up to see her husband. She had no idea when he came up behind her, or how long he had been there. She reached up and placed her much smaller hand over his.

“What’s this I hear about airbending the dishes?” Tonraq called out.

Korra, about to airbend on the dish, surprised by her father’s sudden presence blew the dish out of her hand and onto the wall.

“Dad! Mom!” the Avatar called out as she heard the pottery crash into the wall. She tried to move in front of the crash site to hide it. “You enjoy the mover?”

***

Ikki made her fifth lap around the beach of the island. She was bored. It had been a long time since she remembered being this bored. The young airbender occasionally kicked at the sand as she walked head down along the quiet water.  Ikki decided she was tired of circling so she found a big enough piece of driftwood to sit down on. Not long after she relaxed into her spot she heard a man clear his throat somewhere behind her.

“You are Tenzin’s daughter Ikki, correct?”

Ikki turned around and looked up the rocks to see a man she did not recognize. The young airbender felt her body tense. She had not forgotten the time when Zaheer was pretending to be an innocent stranger roaming around the halls of her home. Her Aunt Kya had given her a lengthy lecture about being more cautious around strange men on their long trip to the Northern Air Temple after the encounter.

“Who are you?” Ikki asked, trying to sound tough.

The man held up his hands defensively, as if sensing the hostility in her voice. “I’m sorry, my name is Zhou Rhen, did your father not tell you I am staying with you?”

“He did not.”

“I was hoping to just talk to you for a little bit about Avatar Korra...”

Ikki stood up from her seat and started to back away.

“Ikki, there you are,” Pema called out.

The young airbender looked to see where her mother’s voice was coming from. She was walking towards Zhou Rhen from the other side of the courtyard.

“Mom, do you know this guy?”

“Yes dear, he’s come to speak with Korra when she gets back.”

Zhou Rhen smiled, relieved at Pema’s arrival. “I was also hoping to speak with you and your family.”

“Oh, really?” Pema asked. “What about?”

“I just want to learn more about Avatar Korra’s relationship with her friends and family. If you want I could talk to both of you together?” Zhou Rhen turned back to Ikki. “If that would be a little more comfortable for you?”

“What do you say, Ikki?”

Ikki eyed the man one more time, still not fully convinced he was as harmless as he appeared. “Okay.”

“Let’s go the gazebo in the courtyard,” Pema suggested.

The three quietly walked towards the gazebo. Once they arrived, Zhou Rhen took a seat at one side of the circle, while Pema sat on the floor opposite. Ikki took a spot on the railing above and to the left of her mother.

The young man pulled a small notebook and pencil from his robes and thumbed through a few pages before settling on a blank one.

“Alright, since Avatar Korra is older than Ikki, this question applies only to Pema. Have you met her previous incarnation, Avatar Aang?”

“He was my father-in-law,” Pema replied with a smirk. “But only a handful of times. He passed not long after Tenzin and I started our relationship.”

“Based on what you knew of Avatar Aang, do you see any similarities between him and Avatar Korra?”

Pema looked away for a moment to think. “Gosh, I don’t know. I’ve heard Tenzin and Katara talk about certain expressions Korra makes, that are uncanny, but nothing I personally see. There is a world of difference between an old man and a young woman, incarnation or not. Korra has always just been Korra to me, wouldn’t you say so Ikki?”

The young airbender nodded vigorously. “I forget Korra’s kinda my grandpa. She’s like a big sister. She’s part of the family.”

“Korra can be very stubborn, that’s a family resemblance right there,” Pema added.

Zhou Rhen smiled as he wrote. “You both care deeply for her.”

Pema put a hand to her chest. “We mean it when we say Korra is a part of the family. It was a little bit of an adjustment when she first came. I was pregnant and not used to teenagers, but now I couldn’t imagine her not being a part of our lives.”

“Yeah, it was terrible when Korra left us for three years. I think she should have stayed here, where we could have taken care of her, and Asami too!”

“You are referring to when Avatar Korra was poisoned by the Red Lotus?”

Pema nodded. “There was a time, when I doubted her ability to come back from that. Not so much physically, but spiritually. I had never seen someone so broken before.”

“After Avatar Korra left to the South Pole to recover, did you see her at all during that time?” Zhou Rehn asked.

“No, she didn’t even write us back!” Ikki said with a pout.

“Tenzin visited once, about a year or so after, when she became mobile again. But it wasn’t until my children found her out in the swamps and brought her to Republic City that I saw her.”

“Pardon?”

Ikki hopped up from her seated position with excitement. “That’s right, Meelo, Jinora and I flew around the world looking for Korra. We found her hanging out with Toph in this smelly old swap! We watched her bend out the rest of her poison, and she was all better again! Then we got to go to Zaofu and eventually back home to take on Kuvira!”

“What brave children you have,” Zhou Rhen commented.

“That’s one word for it…” Pema muttered.

“So I guess that takes us to the present and why I am here in the first place. Avatar Korra is in a relationship with a woman named Asami Sato?”

Ikki blushed and sat back down in her seat on the railing. “Yeah, I think it’s super cute.”

“It was a bit of a surprise for all of us. When they first met they were fighting over the same boy. But something must have changed over the years, because one night a few weeks ago during a wedding reception they slipped off to the Spirit World, just the two of them. When they came back they were dating,” Pema said with a shrug. “It doesn’t bother me, we know Asami and she would never do anything to hurt Korra. I’m a bit fearful for them; not for any physical harm, but I don’t know how the public will treat them. Hopefully Korra will hold her tongue and Asami can do the talking when pressed about it.”

“If anyone says anything, I’ll blow them right outta town!” Ikki added.

“So you see Miss Sato as a suitable partner for Avatar Korra, there is nothing that concerns you? I ask because it sounds like this is a newer relationship,” Zhou Rhen said, directing his follow-up question to Pema.

Ikki jumped in again. “Asami loves Korra very much, she told me so herself. She even wishes she could fight alongside her all the time, but holds herself back because she thinks she would be a bother.”

“Sounds like you know Miss Sato well, Ikki.”

Pema looked up at her daughter. It had just dawned on her how much time she had been spending with Asami, seemingly out of nowhere. “You have been spending a lot of time together recently.”

The young airbender blushed again. “Yeah… I dunno, we’ve got some stuff in common… I wish they’d hurry on back... ”

“What are your common interests?” Zhou Rhen asked, genuinely curious.

“Like fashion, doing our nails and talking about things... girl stuff.”

“So that’s where you got the nail polish…”

Ikki shoved her hands under her legs as her mother spoke. “It’s okay, right?”

“I don’t mind, just don’t let your father see them,” Pema said in a warning tone.

Zhou Rhen made marks in his notebook as the mother and daughter spoke. After their conversation died down he looked up to two expectant faces. “I think that is all for now, thank you.”

***

The dinner Korra and Asami prepared turned out to be a success. The Avatar’s parents genuinely enjoyed the stew and Tonraq monopolized the conversation with questions to Asami about how mover cameras worked. Korra was a little bit surprised, but grateful for her father’s enthusiastic curiosity because it meant there were no awkward silences during the meal. It came out that Tonraq has been learning to play Pai Sho. He and Asami were currently setting up a board in the living room while Korra and her mother were cleaning up the kitchen.

“I didn’t know you had a knack for cooking. I would have made you do it more often when you were home,” Senna said, passing a wet bowl for Korra to dry.

A slight blush colored the Avatar’s cheeks as she accepted the bowl. “I can’t take any credit, I just followed instructions. Asami was the mastermind.”

“I’ve noticed she’s very… generous… I must admit it makes me a little uncomfortable.”

As Senna spoke Tonraq rushed into the kitchen with a wine bottle tucked under his arm. “Hey honey, where do we keep the bottle opener?” he asked as he started opening drawers at random.

“In the drawer by the stove,” Senna replied.

Tonraq lumbered over and rummaged through the drawer his wife was referring to. Having found  the item he was looking for he headed back towards the living room.

Korra put her hands on her hips as she watched her father leave. Once he was gone, she turned to her mother. “Dad doesn’t seem to mind.”

Senna didn’t have a rebuttal, so resumed cleaning up.

Korra stood and watched her mother start to wipe down the counters. “I felt the same way about it too at first.”

Senna stopped for a moment, as if startled by her daughter’s admission, then went back to her task.

Korra continued, “I already didn’t like Asami because she was dating Mako, and then she invited us all over to her big house to swim in her pool and play with her expensive cars. I thought she was trying to show off and buy our friendship.” The Avatar thought for a moment; that all that seemed so long ago, like another lifetime. “When it came out that her father was an Equalist, she gave up everything to fight alongside us. Over and over again she has donated her resources and time to help. I know even if Asami didn’t have as much money as she does, she would still do it. However, she does have the money, and it seems to make her happy to share it.”

Senna put away the rag and walked over to Korra. “Well we’re your parents, so let us treat you to a few things too, okay?” She emphasized by putting a hand on her daughter’s shoulder. “Let us still feel useful to you.”

Korra turned to face her mother. She took the hand off her shoulder and held it between her own. “Mom, what are you talking about?”

Senna looked up into Korra’s concerned eyes, and again felt small. “You’re really growing up… It happened so fast… I feel like I’ve missed a lot of it,” Senna said as she reached out with her free hand and pushed a few wild strands of hair behind her daughter’s ear. “You’re so strong... Not just physically. You didn’t get that from me…”

“Mom…” Korra whimpered. Her eyes felt glossy with unshed tears. “I will always need you in my life, you and Dad, You’re my parents. You make it sound like I’m going to be leaving you forever.”

Senna pulled herself away and buried her face in her hands.“I know, I know. I just… I just don’t feel a part of your life anymore and I know that my reaction this morning isn’t helping…”

“Mom, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to be so harsh with you earlier… Honestly, I was caught off guard by your reaction… You want to be a part of my life, then be in it.”

“I know…”

“If you know, then what can I do to help?”  Korra thought for a moment. “Why don’t you come with us to the Spirit Portal, you’ve never been there either, right?”

“I haven’t… okay,” Senna said shly.

“You girls going to come and have some of this wine with us?” Tonraq’s voice called out.

“Be right there Dad,” the Avatar hollered back.

Senna nodded and moved towards her daughter. Korra opened her arms and pulled her mother close.

***

Senna and Korra eventually joined Asami and Tonraq in the living room. After a few rounds of watching Pai Sho, Senna silently rose out of her seat and walked down the hall. A little over an hour later the other three called it a night and walked down towards the bedrooms. Asami’s came first, and no sooner did she go in, she came back out.

“My things are gone.”

Korra moved into her room to see her bed made and Asami’s luggage placed on top.

Tonraq noticed the commotion and walked back to meet the girls. He poked his head into the room to see his daughter and her girlfriend standing around the bed.

“Everything okay?” he asked.

“Mom moved Asami’s things in here,” Korra replied, pointing to the evidence.

Tonraq cracked a big grin. “Looks like Asami’s stuck with you. You girls have a good night.”

The pair watched Tonraq leave as quickly as he came. Asami moved first to the bed and started moving her belongings off.

Korra stood as if frozen in place, still in shock from her mother’s actions. “Mom...” she whispered to herself.

“So I picked up a few fur pelts,” Asami said, hoisting them out of the bags.

“What are you going to do with those? They’re massive,” the Avatar asked, moving closer.

“I’m going to have them made into a big blanket when I get back.”

“It never gets that cold in Republic City.”

“I didn’t buy them for their warmth. Here,” Asami offered a bit of the pelt and ran it along Korra’s check. “Feel how soft this is. Imagine this softness everywhere.”

The Avatar’s cheeks flushed as the reason why Asami was so keen on furs sank in. At that point Asami had moved away and was attempting to fit the furs back into the bag. Korra imagined her girlfriend naked and draped across a pile of pelts.

“Don’t put them away…” she whispered.

Asami stopped wrestling with the bag and turned her head back to look at Korra.


“Oh?” she uttered with a smirk.

Korra moved closer, pinning Asami between her and the foot of the bed. Asami turned her body to face Korra’s and sat down on the bed. The bag tumbled off from the motion, leaving the pelts behind.

Asami leaned back into the furs, holding herself up with her hands. “I must confess, I’ve fantasized about you to taking me on a pile of pelts.”

“Take you?”

“It’s an expression. It means to have your way with me.”

The Avatar was both thrilled and frightened by that possibility.

“What would you do to me, if you could do whatever you want…?” Asami asked, tracing the outline of Korra’s face.

Only a moment ago Korra felt like her body was steering, but now her brain had taken back over and was drawing a blank. Asami saw the look of panic and extended a hand out to her girlfriend and drew her to the bed beside her.

“Too hard, how about instead, what would you want to do with me?”

Korra blushed a deep shade of red. “You really want to talk about it this?”

“Why not? You shouldn’t be doing things if you can’t talk about them,” Asami said with a flip of her hair. “So you and Mako never talked this way?”

The Avatar groaned and covered her face with her hands. She fell backwards on the bed. “Why do you want to bring up Mako at a time like this?”

“He’s the only one you’ve been intimate in some way with, right?”

“Yeah… and you too?”

“There also was a woman…” Asami said, turning away slightly.

Korra uncovered her face. “Who?”

“You don’t know her. It happened while you were away in the south. We dated briefly, but then I got a letter in the mail…”

“From who?” Korra asked.

“From you,” Asami whispered. Her eyes began to sting as she felt tears work their way out. She did not know why it was happening, but a swell of emotions began to rise within her. “You finally wrote back to me and I was so angry at you.” Asami stopped to wipe at her eyes, and felt an unexplained laugh escape her lips. “Ugh! I’m the one always saying let’s stop talking about the past and here I am doing it.”

Korra sat up in her seat and moved to comfort her girlfriend. “I’m sorry I didn’t write to you sooner, I-”

“No, please don’t apologize. This is why I don’t want to talk about that time, because you shouldn’t apologize for what you needed to do Korra. Any hurt feelings, are mine and mine alone.”

Korra looked down at her feet. She wondered what she would have done during that time had she known how much Asami and Mako were hurting from her absence.

“So… you broke up with your girlfriend because of me?”

“I did. It sounds a little crazy aloud because all you sent was a letter… but I did.”

A momentary silence fell between them. Korra could hear Asami’s intermittent sniffs as she tried to gain composure.

“I had a dream about you once, while I was recovering... A sex dream,” the Avatar started.

Asami cocked her head curiously. She wiped at her eyes a few more times as she listened.

“We were at your mansion and we…”  Korra tried to push through her embarrassment. “We made love. Then my mom woke me up in the middle of it. She heard me, thought I was having a nightmare.”

“Oh no, did she realize what kind of dream it was?”

“No, I don’t think so. But it was still super embarrassing being in that state in front of her. Eventually she left me alone. You know, it was the first time I felt anything down there in over a year. I couldn’t walk, so being interested in sex was a low priority. It ended up being kind of a turning point for my recovery. I was starting to get some of my body back, some part of me felt good even.”

“Did you...?” Asami asked, drawing out the last word.

Korra’s face turned red again. “I did and I felt kind of ashamed after. Not that you’d ever find out, but I felt guilty for thinking about you that way.”

“Well if it makes you feel better I’ve done that thinking about you more times than I’d care to admit.”

“Recently?”

“Oh yes. Now that I know what your lips feel like, taste like. Now that I know what it feels like to be held by you. It’s something we could even do together,” Asami said, leaning closer to her girlfriend.

“Asami!”

Asami backed off and folded her arms.“What a bashful girl you can be, my dear Avatar. You certainly weren’t that way with me this morning.”

“Well, that was different…”

“Oh?”

Korra fidgeted under Asami’s inquisitive gaze. These were all things she had never thought about before. “Yeah, because I was doing stuff to you, that’s more normal.”

“And touching yourself isn’t?”

“It is, but with someone else?”

“Why not?”

Korra shoved her hands nervously under her legs and scrunched herself up. “I dunno… I never heard of that… not that I’ve heard of much, as I’ve been learning.” The Avatar paused for a moment, and it felt like she was hearing herself for the first time. She suddenly felt embarrassed by her words and behavior. Korra looked at the beautiful woman next to her. Asami could have anyone she wanted, with her looks and charm. She gave that all up to be with someone who could barely talk about sex.  “How has the way I’ve been acting not put you off? I don’t know if I would want to be with me…”

“You’re being way too critical of yourself. That’s not like my cocky Avatar.”

Korra made an exaggerated groan and held her hands up in the air like she was cursing the ceiling. “I know, I feel like I did back when I was trying to learn airbending. All the other elements came so easily. I’m not good a things I have to work hard to be good at.”

“How can you say you’re not good at this when you’ve never tried? More importantly being good is subjective in this case. Everyone is different, there isn’t just one right way. Two people work together to find out what’s right for them. You’re not alone in this, Korra.”

The Avatar blushed deeply as her girlfriend moved closer.

Asami continued, “Like the dishes.” She then placed her hand on Korra’s thigh, and felt something hard and flat. She pulled her hand away as if it was hot to the touch.

“What’s that?” Asami asked, and then started to reach into Korra’s pocket.

“Oh, I forgot I shoved them in there,” Korra said, reaching into the other pocket.

Each girl pulled out a small book.

“These are Aang’s journals, my Dad gave them to me this morning. I guess Katara wants me to read them,” Korra said examining the book again.

Asami delicately held the one she had pulled out. She ran her slender fingers along the leather cover. “I bet there’s some interesting stuff in here.”

“Want to read them with me?” the Avatar asked.

“Are you sure, isn’t this kind of private?”

Korra shrugged. “They’re not my journals. Will you read them to me?”

“To you?”

“Why not?”

Asami smiled and looked behind them. “Okay. Let’s get into bed and I’ll read you a story.”



To be continued...

Chapter 24: Vacation in the South: Part three

Chapter Text

After breakfast, Tenzin searched the temple halls for his eldest daughter. She was supposed to lead the morning meditation group, but never showed up. He wasn’t worried about the other airbenders not practicing their meditation. The ragtag group he had started training three years ago now operated like true and disciplined air nomads. What concerned Tenzin was his own daughter uncharacteristically shirking responsibilities.

The Air Master decided to try one more room before searching outside around the grounds. He slid the door open to a small shrine room, and there she was. Jinora was quietly sitting in front of the small altar, a single stick of incense lit. She flinched at the sound of the door opening, but did not turn to see who was there.

“Jinora, I know you’re not happy with me right now.”

His daughter continued to focus on the shrine in front of her.

“I’m sorry,” Tenzin started as he moved to sit beside Jinora. “I should have been more explicit with you about your role moving forward… and Korra’s.”

“I’m not going to work with Korra like you do, am I?” Jinora stated flatly, breaking her silence.

Tenzin shifted in his seat. “I don’t know. My reasoning for getting you involved with Korra more professionally now, is so you will be available to take my place, if anything should happen to me. I didn’t want to worry you with that grim possibility, but the past four years have shown me anything can happen and we must be prepared for it. And yes, working with Korra or the next Avatar will be a part of your job, but not all of it. The Air Nation is to be your primary concern, and I should have stressed that more. I want you to continue shadowing Korra, but I think it’s time you started doing that with me as well.”

“You want me to work with you because Korra is going to be busy with that White Lotus guy.”

“He is best suited to help her through this transition. I’m truly sorry I gave you false expectations about working with Korra.”

“Yeah, well…” Jinora started, but couldn’t find a retort so she dropped it. The father and daughter then sat in silence.

Tenzin thought for a moment and then cleared his throat. “Zhou Rhen would like to speak with you about Korra, to get to know her better before they meet. You could be a great help to him, as one of Korra’s peers and confidants. He is going to be delivering some difficult information, I’m sure he’d appreciate knowing the best way to approach her with it.”

“There is definitely a wrong way to talk to Korra in a difficult situation… What is he going to tell her?”

“I can’t say for sure, but I have a feeling. Remember when we talked before about your grandfather and the Avatar State? That Aang’s love for your grandmother kept him out and he had to accept that his life and his mission had to come before her life?”

Jinora shrugged. “Korra can go into the Avatar State again, it was the poison and her depression that kept her out.”

“I don’t believe Korra’s ability to go into the Avatar State will be compromised. What concerns me is that she could face difficult choices between her mission and the lives or life of another in the future.”

“You’re concerned about Asami, but why now, and what about Mako? What about the time she opened the Spirit Portal in order to save me? And didn’t she sacrifice herself to Zaheer for all of us?” the young Air Master pressed.

“Yes, and it’s those impulsive decisions that threaten the cycle. Korra has faced more in her short time as active Avatar than most others see in a lifetime. And on top of that, at an age where her training hasn’t even fully finished. Korra’s been making choices she has never truly been prepared to make.”

Jinora sharply turned her head to look at her father. “Dad, do you honestly think she did the wrong thing by saving me, by saving us?”

The incense lit by Jinora reached the end and was now burning the thin wood of its handle. Tenzin stuck his thumb and pointer finger in his mouth for a second, and then pinched the tip to extinguish it. Silently his daughter retrieved a fresh stick from the vase on the shrine table and passed it to to her father. Tenzin lit the new stick and resumed his explanation as he placed the incense in the small metal holder.

“No. What has happened, happened, and we are all very fortunate. I just don’t believe Korra has ever been explicitly told that her life matters more, and ultimately the Avatar cycle matters above anyone else’s.”

“Why do you think she’s going to be learning this now? She was raised by the White Lotus. It seems like Korra doesn’t even remember ever not being the Avatar. She must know.”

“I’m sure it has been told to her in some way, and deep down she even knows it to be true. When you are young, you are invincible. The future feels impossibly far. In the past years Korra has faced death and now with clearer eyes is looking towards her future. She’s not a child anymore; moving forward her relationships, especially romantic ones, will hold more weight. As I said I don’t know for sure, but every Avatar must face the fact that their life is never truly their own. Your grandfather, a boy raised with logic and self discipline, was initially crushed by that reality. It’s not easy, even for the most prepared.”

Jinora thought back to the tense moment in Suyin’s airship when Korra refused to take Kuvira’s bending away.

“Korra you don’t have a choice.”

“I’m the Avatar, that means I always have a choice!”

“I’ll talk to Zhou Rhen, for Korra.”

***

Korra opened her eyes and found herself somewhat upright in bed. She turned her head to see Asami still snuggled up behind her, supporting the two of them with her back against the headboard.

She didn’t remember falling asleep reading, but apparently that’s what had happened. Korra’s eyes followed Asami’s hands to find the book near the edge of the bed, still open. She stretched a hand out to retrieve it. They hadn’t gotten very far before passing out, despite how curious they both were.

‘Avatar Aang was like me…’ Korra thought as she held the small book.

It was strange finally getting the personal perspective of a man she knew only through second hand accounts. A man whose spirit she shared, but who was also gone forever. But then Raava’s spirit still lived, so in a way, did all the Avatars live? Korra felt her head starting to hurt just thinking about it. Spirits and past life stuff was where being the Avatar got muddled. Master the four elements; check. Protect the world; clear mission. Spiritual destiny stuff; still a mystery.

Korra looked down at the book, re-reading a few sentences on the open page. They had left off with Aang planning on telling Katara his feelings towards Zuko before traveling to the Northern Air Temple. He hoped to meditate and communicate with his past lives there, to understand his feelings better. Korra couldn’t help but feel envious of Aang, having had other Avatars to talk to when he needed to understand these sorts of things. Talking to Raava was different; even though she was there from the very beginning, she’d never been human.

“It’s actually one of the more human things about you.”

Love and sex, that was definitely only a human condition of the Avatar. Korra knew Raava would be no help in that department. Though it was comforting to know she wasn’t the only Avatar who struggled with those types of feelings. Aang’s words at times almost felt like her own. Was that because at one point they were, or was it just his feelings of confusion and being lost were so similar?

Korra shut the small book and moved it to the bedside table. Had it not been given to her by Katara, she would feel extremely guilty for reading the diaries. Even with permission, it still felt like she was reading words that were not meant for anyone else’s eyes but the author’s. Korra felt relieved she had never journaled and would think long and hard before ever starting. She had experienced enough pokes and prods into her personal life for a lifetime as it was. Despite that here she was planning to tell all of Republic City, and therefore the rest of the world, her sexual preferences. Had another Avatar done such a thing, Korra was sure she would have heard about it at some point. Lucky her, she was playing another pioneering role as Avatar.

At least this time she wasn’t alone; Asami would be there by her side for all that was ahead. Her girlfriend had arranged a meeting with her public relations team to find the best way to get the news out when they return. Korra herself had envisioned just blurting it out at the next press conference she found herself at, but apparently that would leave her very vulnerable to questions and accusations she wouldn’t be prepared to answer.

Lost in thought, Korra never noticed that Asami had woken up. She didn’t even notice the taller girl’s hand start running along her exposed arm until it gave her wrist a slight squeeze.

“What are you thinking about, babe?” Asami whispered.

Korra felt her nose wrinkle at the name. “Why do you keep calling me that?”

“You don’t like it?” Asami asked, giving the Avatar’s arm one more squeeze before disentangling herself.

“I never thought of myself as someone’s ‘babe’.”

“Well, you are just blind to how much of a babe you really are.”

“You sound like some greasy triad trying to pick me up.”

“You’ve got half of that right. I guess now I know why my tactics aren’t working on you,” Asami said, slipping out from behind Korra. She then reached into a suitcase and pulled out a robe. Asami draped it around her body and the opened up the door.

“I’m going to go shower.”

Before Korra could respond Asami was gone. The Avatar smacked herself in the forehead with her left hand and fell backwards into the bed. “I’m an idiot.”

Korra laid on the bed for a few moments before rousing herself to get up and go into the kitchen. Senna was preparing breakfast just like the day before. A smile crept over the Avatar’s face, remembering her mother’s gesture last night.

“Morning Korra, did you sleep well?” Senna asked from the stove.

“I did. Thank you Mom, that really means a lot to me what you did last night” Korra said, pulling out a chair at the table.

Senna didn’t respond, but turned to look at her daughter. They silently exchanged glances then stopped as they heard someone approaching.

Tonraq entered the room and looked between the two women. He stretched his large arms above his head and moved towards the table.

“I know I mentioned it yesterday, but it still makes me happy to see my two favorite girls in the morning. So the plan is still to go to the Spirit Portal today?”

“I think so,” Korra replied.

“Then I’ll go get started on prepping the snowmobiles, come grab me when breakfast is ready.” Tonraq moved towards the back door of the kitchen, that led to the yard.

“Let me help you, it’ll be faster,” Korra said, shooting up from her chair.

Senna watched father and daughter confidently exit the kitchen, noticing the two had a similar gait. Not long after they left, Asami hesitantly walked towards the kitchen.

“Good morning,” Asami said, standing in the doorway.

Senna turned to the young woman and mustered her best smile. “Good morning Asami, have a seat.”

Asami nodded and took the seat Korra had previously occupied at the table. She looked around the kitchen, taking it all in more fully than she had when busy cooking last night. It was nothing elaborate, just a simple space with the basic appliances. Placed atop the upper row of cabinets were decorative baskets and nicknacks. The visible film of dust and occasional cobwebs were signs that these items had been up there for a very long time.

“So this is the home Korra grew up in?” Asami asked, breaking the silence.

“Yes, I much prefer it here. The palace is too big for just two people to live in. The size makes it feel lonelier too…”

“I moved out of my father’s mansion for a smaller apartment in the city for that same reason. Mako and Bolin’s extended family have been staying there for a few years, but are planning to move back to the Earth Kingdom now that Kuvira is... gone. I don’t know what I’m going to do with the house next... If I had a family some day, I’d like to raise them there... but in the meantime…” Asami trailed off, glancing out the window. A light snow had started to fall. A few moments of silence passed. The only sound was Senna’s spatula clanking against the metal pan.

The younger woman looked back over to her girlfriend’s mother. “Is there anything I can do to help?”

Senna was going to say no out of habit, but stopped herself. “I want to pack a little lunch for our trip. I was thinking of looking through the gift bag you brought us.”

“The deli treats would be perfect for a picnic lunch, it’s mostly finger foods,” Asami said, getting up from her seat.

“Wonderful. I have some containers in the cabinet next to the icebox. Would you mind packing up the foods you think would be good for lunch?” Senna said, turning around and gesturing with her spatula.

Following the instructions, Asami made her way to the cabinet. After collecting a few small containers she brought them and the bag from the deli to the counter near Senna. For a while they both silently did their tasks.

Senna cleared her throat, trying to get the courage to ask the question that had been running through her mind since their initial conversation had died down.

“Do you want to have children?”

Asami could feel Senna’s eyes on her as she stopped what she was doing for a moment to consider the question. “I think so. My mother died when I was young, so I don’t know what it’s like to have one. I’ve always thought that I could still experience it in some way by being a mother myself.”

Senna nodded as she listened to the younger woman.

“It’s not easy being a parent, I won’t lie. Korra has brought so much joy to our lives; I can’t imagine not having her. Honestly I enjoyed it so much I wish I’d had more children.”

“Were you unable to?” Asami asked.

“Not in the way you think... Tonraq and the White Lotus felt it would have been too difficult for a child to grow up as the Avatar’s sibling.”

“Your sister saved the world today, what did you do?” Asami mused aloud. “That would be tough when they were younger, but I’m sure they would have eventually been a part of team Avatar. I’m a non-bender and they even let me tag along.”

“That’s just what I would have needed, two kids risking their lives on a regular basis. The hope with another child was that they would stay at home, raise a family. To have one that didn’t belong more to the world than to me.”

Senna met eyes with the young woman beside her for a moment before turning away. “That sounds terribly selfish of me…”

The mother felt a hand graze hers for a brief second, causing her to return her gaze to Asami.

“I don’t think so. I have to remind myself now that being with Korra won’t be like it could be with another partner. Her duty will take her away and I won’t always be able to go along with her. Korra will have to risk her life over and over, and I can’t stop her. ”

Senna took a deep look at her daughter’s girlfriend beside her. She looked past the make-up, the salon-cut hair, and the stylish clothes and saw the expression she knew all too well, the expression of a young woman deeply concerned about the person she loved. In that moment Senna saw all that she and Asami had in common.

Senna tried to speak but her mouth failed her. The sound of the back door clanking against the wall broke the silence. Korra and Tonraq lumbered into the room and made their way over to the table, leaving a trail of snow in their wake.

“Breakfast ready?” Korra asked as she sat down.

“Yes, we were just about to go get you two,” Senna quickly replied, grabbing her pan from the stove.

***

Opal and Kai touched down on Earth Palace grounds mid afternoon. This was the last leg of their rounds through the Earth Kingdom before the pair parted ways. Kai would return straight to Republic City, whereas Opal planned to see her family in Zaofu first.

Opal felt uneasy as they walked through the courtyard towards one of the elaborately decorated entrances inside. Airbender aid was still welcome throughout the kingdom’s territories; many towns were still in the sorry shape Kuvira had left them in. The palace, being Kuvira’s former hub, had not received airbender presence as warmly. She glanced to her partner and could tell Kai was also on guard.

As they reached the entrance an Earth Kingdom guard placed himself between them and the door.

“Airbenders, what purpose do you have at the palace?” the guard asked, glancing between them.

“We’re not here on business, but for personal reasons. We are here to visit Mako,” Opal replied, feigning confidence.

"Who?" the guard asked.

"Mako, Prince Wu's bodyguard. He was brought to the palace hospital after he was injured when the airship carrying Kuvira crashed, but he should be working again now."

“What business do you have visiting him?”

“Mako is my brother-in-law. I wanted to see him while I am in the area, is that so wrong?”

The guard took a hard look at Kai, eyeing him up and down. “What about you?”

As the guard spoke another one came through the door.

Kai shrugged, unfazed by the display. “I have to go with her, airbender policy; you don’t leave you partner while you’re on a mission.”

The new guard nudged his colleague. “They’re frickin’ Airbenders, why are you being such a hardass?”

The original guard shoved back and shook himself off. “You weren’t here when the Queen was, I’ve seen some of the shit airbenders can get up to.”

“You two can go ahead,” the new guard said, turning to his colleague. “I don’t know what you saw when the Queen was alive, but my family back home said airbenders…”

Opal and Kai couldn’t hear the rest of the guard’s explanation as they walked down the hall.

“So when did you and Bolin get married?” Kai asked with a smirk on his face.

“That was because of the guard! So what were they talking about back there? About the Queen?” Opal asked quietly.

Kai let out a huff. “You weren’t around for that, were you? After Harmonic Convergence, when we all got airbending, the Earth Queen snatched up all the Ba Sing Se airbenders and forced them to be in her secret army. We found out about it cos I got kidnapped when we were traveling through here looking for airbenders.”

“That’s terrible, though clearly you made it out okay.”

“Yeah, it was messed up. I know I was kind of a jerk back then, but after that experience I realized what real evil looks like. Kinda scared me straight in a way I didn’t expect.”

Opal nodded as she listened. It had been a long time since she had thought back to Harmonic Convergence, and when she became an airbender. “The Earth Kingdom has been in turmoil for so long now, I hope it can finally find some kind of peace.”

“People seem to have a long memory here, I don’t think peace will be easy, even now. As we’ve seen big gestures can do a lot to disrupt, but the true change comes from the slow day-to-day rebuilding. You and I saw that these past three years; I think it’s going to take at least another three for things to get settled again.”

“Are you worried Tenzin is going to pull us out of the Earth Kingdom?”

“He might, look at Republic City, it’s a mess,” Kai replied as they turned a corner through the palace.

“Korra’s back, it will be different this time. She can fix things there, while we tend to the Earth Kingdom.”

Kai quickly turned his head to look at Opal. He raised an eyebrow in disbelief. “Avatar Korra’s not back, she’s on her second vacation since she came ‘back’ to stop Kuvira.”

Opal slowed her pace, trailing slightly behind Kai. “Don’t be mad at Korra, she doesn’t shirk responsibilities. It must be something she truly needs.”

“You honestly don’t think two vacations is a little much?”

Opal thought for a moment. Part of her agreed with Kai, and she understood feeling frustrated with Korra’s actions from an outsider’s perspective. But she had faith in Korra; time and time again she proved her worth as the Avatar. Didn’t that grant her some time, a few days, to be selfish?

“I believe in Korra,” Opal replied firmly.

The pair were so caught up in their discussion that they didn’t see Mako standing right in front of them at the end of the hall. The firebender was having a quiet, but tense-looking conversation with a woman Opal recognized, but was having a hard time placing where from.

Kai and Opal slowed their pace to wait for the conversation to finish before announcing their presence. They didn’t have to wait long before the woman quickly turned on her heels and marched away from Mako.

“Hey Mako,” Opal called out.

The firebender jumped at his name and sharply turned to look at Opal and Kai. Opal offered a smile and small wave before walking towards him.

“Opal, what are you doing here?” Mako asked quietly as he also moved towards the pair.

“Everything okay Mako? You look a little stressed.”

“Your lady friend didn’t seem too chill either,” Kai added.

Once they were in arms length of each other Mako grasped Opal by the shoulder and pulled her close. “We need to keep it light until we can get to my room.”

Opal nodded and Mako let her go. He then pointed down the hall they were just coming from, and started walking. The two airbenders dutifully followed.

“So what brings you two here?” Mako asked, sounding more like his usual self.

“Part of our rounds, the Air Nation is still making itself available to the Earth Kingdom,” Opal replied.

“Great, great, oh, and here is my room, why don’t you come in… for some tea!” Mako said, quickly pushing Opal and Kai through the door. Once inside Mako peeked his head out before slowly closing the door shut.

Opal looked around and did not recognize the room from her last visit. Mako whooshed by her and started to check around the room, opening up all the doors.

“Wu, are you in here?” he called out as he searched.

Opal and Kai stood awkwardly and watched Mako’s erratic sweep of the room. Once he was sure they were truly alone Mako flopped down onto one of the chairs in the sitting area and let out a long sigh.

“Alone at last…” Mako said at the end of the breath, then glanced at his company. “Well, sort of.”

Opal and Kai moved to sit down and join Mako.

“So you going to tell Kai and me what’s going on? I hate guessing games.”

Mako put a hand to his head and began to rub his temple with his pointer and middle finger. “Sorry, I just needed us to be in a place where it was safe to speak freely.”

“Then speak!” Opal barked.

Mako motioned to Kai. “Does he know about..?”

Opal looked at Kai, and in the moment remembered he was not involved in recent events. The Kuvira mission had been inner circle only.

“Kai, Jinora talked to you about Kuvira, right?”

“She’s dead, right?” Kai asked flatly.

Opal and Mako shared a look of panic before turning their attention to Kai.

“Yeah...” Opal slowly answered.

“Certain people don’t quite believe it thought. Yasmine-

“The girl that was with you during the crash?” Opal interrupted.

“Yeah, she testified, and so did I, but still, not everyone is convinced. So it’s just a little uncomfortable here in the palace, since the news is still so fresh.”

“Well hopefully people will take ‘she’s dead’ for an answer and start moving forward with the rebuilding of the Earth Kingdom,” Kai replied, leaning back in his seat.

“Yes, that is the hope,” Mako said with a few exaggerated nods.

“Anything else stressing you out, Mako?” Opal asked.

The firebender thought for a moment; he’d been dying for someone to confide in, but Kai was becoming a real wrench in this opportunity.

“Oh you know, just some girl troubles.”

“The girl that you were talking to, right?” Opal asked.

“I’m learning you really shouldn’t date women you work with.”

Opal smiled. “Yeah that can be difficult, thought you would have known that by now.”

“So where are you headed to next?” Mako asked, hoping to change the subject.

“I’m going to Zaofu, but Kai is headed straight back to Republic City,” Opal replied, pointing to her companion.

“Zaofu, I uh actually have some business I need to conduct over there, would you mind if I tagged along?”

Opal shrugged. “No, but how are you going to get there?”

“I can borrow an airship; it’s Earth Kingdom business, so they’ll let me. Would you two care to spend the night and we can take off in the morning?”

Kai glanced outside to check the time. “Actually, I think I’m going to start back to Republic City. There are a few villages I want to check in on on the return trip, so I’ll head out of here in a bit. Maybe I could grab a bite to eat first?”

Mako perked up in his seat and leaned over and grabbed the room phone. “Yes, I can order us some food now. You guys eat vegetarian on the road too, right?”

Kai shot a look to Opal. “I mean, we will eat whatever is offered to us… right Opal?”

Opal smiled. “I won’t tell if you won’t.”

“Fire Nation-style Moo Sow ribs good then?”

“Yes!” the airbenders excitedly said in unison.

***

Shortly after the trio had eaten their fill, Kai excused himself. As soon as the door clicked shut behind him, Mako let out an audible sigh of relief.

“So do you really have business in Zaofu?” Opal asked, picking at the tray of food between them.

“No, but I need to get out of here.”

“So they really aren’t buying the story about Kuvira?”

“Enough aren’t that it’s making life around here little uncomfortable, though now I think I know who was behind the rigging of her trial.”

“Do you think they’ll do anything?”

Mako joined Opal in the scavenging of the food tray. He picked out a dumpling and leaned back into his seat. “It’s hard to say, I don’t know what they could do. We were pretty damn good about covering all our bases. I think had Korra not gone out there they would have launched a second investigation. But to do that now would indirectly call the Avatar a liar, and this country needs Korra’s support now more than ever.”

“So these people are just sulking for a bit.”

Mako took a deep breath. “That’s not the only reason I need to leave. I uh… got involved with Yasmine.”

“So she’s the girl trouble,” Opal said as she extracted a few hidden dumplings with one hand and placed them in a pile in her other.

“I’m no stranger to problems with women,” Mako started, causing Opal to snort “But this is uh, a little more complicated. I told her the truth about what happened.”

“What!”

The firebender held up his hands defensively as Opal started leaning towards him. The tray between them clanked as her hands made contact with the table. “She put me on the spot, she already knew something was up!” Mako continued.

“You’re a smooth talker, you make something up!” Opal said throwing one of her dumplings at Mako. He batted it away and it fell to the floor.

“I electrocuted the girl, I coulda killed her, she deserved to know the truth.”

“She’s threatening to expose us, isn’t she?” The airbender asked, leaning off the table.

“No, Yasmine hasn’t done that, but… I don’t know what she would do if I broke up with her…Yasmine… she’s a very intimidating woman.”

“Why isn’t it working out?” Opal folded her hands and turned her head to the side. She eyed her boyfriend’s brother, already sensing the answer to the question.

“I dunno… I thought I liked her, but I think we got all swept up in the excitement of the adventure we just had. Then a week later is was clear we didn’t know anything about each other and didn’t really have anything in common…”

“Oh geez,” Opal moaned as she slumped down in her chair. “Anything else?”

“I uh… I think Wu is attracted to me. He’s been very possessive since I got back, and he hates Yasmine. ”

The airbender slapped her forehead and sunk deeper into her chair. “How do you manage to get yourself into these situations?”

“They find me! You’ve got to let me go with you to Zaofu, I’m starting to crack.”

“Oh no, no, no, no. You can’t just leave, you do that and Yasmine will definitely blow our cover. You got to break up with her the right way.”

Mako slouched his shoulders. “I’ve never done it the right way.”

“Well Mako, this time you’re going to break up with a girl the right way.”

To be continued...

Chapter 25: Vacation in the South: Part Four

Notes:

Thank you ToasterMarketingBoard for editing and masterful cannon checking!

Chapter Text

The sun had started to set upon the Earth Kingdom palace, casting long shadows off the furniture in Mako’s room. Opal and Mako stared at each other, both slumped down in their respective seats. The food tray between them was now fully picked over, their wadded up napkins the only things left.

“What if we fake your death too?” Opal tossed out.

Mako blankly stared at his brother’s girlfriend. “I thought you were going to help me do this the right way.”

“I know I know,” Opal said slumping down further into her seat, followed by a little laugh. “I really didn’t consider how hard it would be to make you a sympathetic character. It’s the only way we can be sure she won’t want to vindictively out you when it’s over.”

“If only we had some dirt on her...” Mako muttered, stretching out his arms to the end of the armrests of his seat. He rapped his fingers on the edges.

Opal continued, ignoring the comment. “Or maybe we should give up on caring how Yasmine will feel about you and convince her that saving Kuvira was the right thing either way. Did she ask about our motives when you blabbered the truth?”

Mako shrugged his slumped shoulders. “Sorta… She was more interested in the deception we pulled on her and the conversation I had with Korra in front of her.”

“Which I’m guessing was not about Kuvira?” the airbender asked, cocking her head to the side.

“No.”

“‘Course not. A woman that’s attracted to you would be far more interested in your exes than politics. I’m sure you glossed over your unsavory actions during the relationships, and highlighted the more endearing aspect that your ex-girlfriends left you for each other.”

“Ouch.”

“Someone had to acknowledge it aloud, though that is a gross oversimplification. You had all been broken up for a few years,” Opal said, kicking up her feet and resting them on the table.

“You done?”

“Yes, sorry. Just trying to get the whole picture. One more question; you said it has become clear that you don’t know anything about each other, or have anything in common. Now is that just on your end, or do you think Yasmine has also had this realization?”

Mako picked at a drying food stain on his pants. “I mean, she must in some way. We argue a lot, about really little things like what we should do that night or where to eat. But then, this has also coincided with her bringing up having me meet her parents and I keep pushing it back. That’s what we were fighting about earlier.”

“If Yasmine wants you to meet her parents, then she is definitely still invested.”

The pair fell silent for a moment.

“Yasmine wanted me to go over to their house tonight for dinner…” Mako murmured. “What if I go meet them and bomb, so then she’ll want to break up with me?”

Opal sat up in her seat. “That’s not a terrible idea. Quick, call her up, tell her you’ve changed your mind.”

Mako slowly rose from his own chair, and walked towards the table where the room’s phone sat.

Opal put a finger to her lips for a moment. “And tell her you’re bringing your sister-in-law.”

***

The snow that was gently falling during breakfast had started to pick up momentum when Korra, Asami, Tonraq and Senna walked out the back door towards the shed where the snowmobiles were kept.

Korra nudged Asami while they watched Tonraq open up the double door.

“Finally, a vehicle that I know how to drive better than you do,” the Avatar said with a wide grin.

“So sure?” Asami said, flipping her hair as she walked up to one of the snowmobiles. She mounted the vehicle and turned on the engine. It hummed to life and Asami took off out the shed.

Tonraq laughed as he watched his daughter get a face full of snow from the kick back. “You shouldn’t spit in the wind Korra.”

Asami did a few laps around the shed before pulling back up to the family.

“You want to ride with me Senna?” Asami asked, revving the engine.

“Oh-uh.”

“Go on Senna, Korra can ride with me,” Tonraq said as he gave his wife a nudge.

Senna hesitantly walked over to the snowmobile and slipped behind her daughter’s girlfriend.

“Hold on!” Asami called back over the engine.

As soon as Senna’s hands met around Asami’s middle they took off for another lap around the shed.

“We better get going or those two will leave without us,” Tonraq said as he walked towards the remaining snowmobile.

Korra stood and watched her father mount the vehicle. She let out a slight groan, slung their picnic sack over her shoulder, and stomped over to join him. Once on the snowmobile Korra wrapped her arms around her father’s broad body. Tonraq revved the engine, then they too zipped off into the snow.

It was almost noon when Korra, Asami, Tonraq and Senna arrived at the entrance of the wiry cluster of trees that surrounded the spirit portal. Korra and Senna, being passengers dismounted the snowmobiles first, followed by Tonraq and Asami.

“Well, those are fun,” Asami said with a big smile, adjusting the hair under her knitted cap.

“You’ve really never driven one before?” Senna asked. “You’re quite good at it.”

“After driving a lot of different vehicles I’ve found it’s all the same principles.”

Senna slowly stepped towards the forest. “This is a lot spookier than I had imagined…”

“Don’t worry Mom, it’s a much friendlier place now,” Korra said, catching up to her mother.

The four passed through the dark entrance into the Sacred Forest. The only light was fluorescent blue tube of the spirit portal ahead of them.

“How do we get inside?” Senna asked as they neared the portal.

“You just walk on through,” Tonraq swiftly replied.

Korra dashed ahead of her parents to demonstrate her father’s instructions. “Spirit portals are easy, it’s trying to get in through meditation that’s difficult,” she said, sticking part of her body into the glowing tube and then fully disappearing inside.

***

It was early in the afternoon when Jinora gathered up the courage to go and seek out Zhou Rhen. It didn’t take her long to find him; over the past few days she had learned he favored sitting in the courtyard by the spinning training gates.

Jinora hesitated for a moment; Zhou Rhen had not noticed her presence.  He was hunched over, writing in his notebook. His rectangular glasses had slid so far down his nose they looked like they were about to fall off.  If she wanted to, she could walk away and push it back another day.

Before Jinora could make up her mind she noticed Meelo peaking out from behind one of the spinning gates. He was crouched like a ring-tailed flying lemur ready to pounce on a berry bush.

Jinora caught her brother’s eye and furrowed her brow to discourage whatever he was planning. Meelo glared back, and with his chin motioned for her to leave. Jinora didn’t budge. The two siblings stared each other down for a few moments until Meelo’s eyes rolled back in his head and he dramatically started to back away into the gates. Jinora smiled, pleased with her assertion of will over her obnoxious younger brother. It didn’t last; Meelo shot out from behind the gates with a huge gust of air, so strong it knocked Zhou Rhen’s book out of his hand and his glasses off his nose.

“Meelo!” Jinora cursed as she watched her brother fly off towards the roof of the temple. He didn’t look back as he nimbly jumped towards the top and out of sight. Once he was gone Jinora turned to Zhou Rhen, who was fumbling around looking for his glasses.

The eyewear had been flung a few feet away from Zhou Rhen. Jinora walked over and grabbed them, ending his pitiful struggle.

“Here,” Jinora said more curtly than she meant to, placing the glasses in the young man’s hands.

“Thank you Master Jinora, I’m virtually blind without them,” Zhou Rhen said as he put the eyewear back on.

“Sorry my brother’s a jerk, don’t take it personally.”

They stood for a moment and Jinora felt strangely awkward.

“I uh… I’m available to talk to you about Korra… If you want to.”

Zhou Rhen smiled. “Yes, I’ve been anxious to speak with you. Come sit.”

They took a seat on the steps a few feet apart. Zhou Rhen thumbed through his notebook to a blank page and started scratching in it.

“Okay, first a little background information. When did you start working alongside Avatar Korra?”

Jinora leaned back onto her hands and thought for a moment. “I really started getting actively involved during harmonic convergence. Not long before it started I became more in touch with the spirits and learned how to enter the Spirit World through meditation, something my father couldn’t do. I was the one who guided Korra through her first meditation into the Spirit World.”

“Master Tenzin cannot meditate into the Spirit World?” Zhou Rhen asked, leaning forward slightly.

“He can now, but it was very difficult for him. Dad was really self-concious about it because of who my grandfather was.”

“I can imagine,” the young man replied, making a few pen strokes. “You have quite the impressive lineage Master Jinora, and many accomplishments for such a young age. I know my organization is very interested in working with you some day. Your father has been quite possessive of you, but now that you are older, I think you should know you have options of where your life and career could go.”

Jinora shook her head. “This is my place.”

“You don’t have to make any decisions, I’m merely giving you some information.”

Jinora pushed off of her hands, and sat upright. She looked down at her hands, noticing the red creases on the top of her wrists from bending them for so long.

“Can I ask you a question?” the young airbender master said, after a few moments of quiet.

“Certainly.”

“Why you?”

“This is the job I was trained to do,” Zhou Rhen replied matter of factly.

Jinora shrugged her shoulders. “But why you instead of the Korra’s friends and family. We know her, we know what’s best for her.”

“Your attachment to Avatar Korra inhibits your ability to be completely honest and objective with her. There will come times when Avatar Korra needs someone to confide in who is not involved, or does not have preconceived notions. This outsider perspective was something your grandfather noted as lacking in his own experience as Avatar. As I said, I am here to present myself as an asset to Avatar Korra. At the end of the day, it is her choice if she wishes to use me or not. I cannot force my aid upon her.”

“If you want to be an ‘unbiased outsider,’ then why are you interviewing all of us about her? Doesn’t that kind of defeat the purpose?”

“Knowing a little bit about my subject won’t cloud my judgment,” Zhou Rhen replied, pushing back up his glasses that had slipped down during the conversation.

“Your subject? Korra is not a subject you study in school, she is a person!” Jinora said, shooting up from her seat. She furiously stared at the young man in front of her for a moment before turning away. “Good luck getting her to talk to you.”

Zhou Rhen watched Jinora march away from him. He let his book slip from his hands, flabbergasted by the sudden eruption of anger from the young woman.

***

Jinora was so upset she could feel the heat radiating from her face. She was marching down the temple halls towards the living quarters to go fume in her room when she heard two familiar voices ahead of her. Jinora slowed her pace and crept to the open door. She peeked in to see her father and Kai sitting around a small table.

“Based on my and Opal’s and meetings with some of the Earth Kingdom’s rural villages, it’s clear airbender aid is still needed. Barely any of the supplies or government order has made it outside of Ba Sing Se.”

“That is not what I was hoping to hear, but I’m not surprised,” Tenzin sighed.

“I can feel your hesitation in spreading our people thin by continuing to aid the Earth Kingdom while also helping to fix things here in the United Republic, but I believe our efforts are best targeted to the Earth Kingdom. Airbenders are so much more mobile, traveling between villages takes hours by bison or wingsuit compared to days by Satomobile.”

Tenzin began to stroke his beard, casting his gaze from the young man to the table between them.

“You know the United Republic will have no trouble rebuilding Republic City, again” Kai continued. “Look at the wealth our state has in contrast to its size and compare it to the Earth Kingdom. I know Prince Wu’s plan is to get rid of the monarchy, which will help distribute the wealth more evenly around the country, but that will take years before the villages see its effects,” Kai said earnestly, his body leaning in closer to the table.

“You’ve changed so much from that boy we took from the police in the Earth Kingdom three years ago.”

“I’m now a part of the Air Nation, but the Earth Kingdom will always be my home.”

“I understand. We will continue to send the same volume of airbender aid to the Earth Kingdom. I would like to put you and Opal in charge of overseeing this mission. I know I will be pulled in many different directions once the reconstruction gets into full swing, so you can report to me monthly on the progress.”

Kai laid his hands on the table and bowed his head so it nearly touched the surface. “Thank you Master Tenzin.”

Jinora had lost herself in the conversation and forgot she had not made her presence known. She quickly turned on her heels and darted down the hall in the direction she had came from.

***

The Avatar emerged into a dry and rocky world, very different from the one she had just left behind. Asami soon slipped through the portal, followed by Korra’s parents.

“This part of the Spirit World looks so different from the Republic City entrance,” Asami commented, taking a few steps away. “Does the Spirit World loosely mirror our own, or does it expand farther?”

Korra shrugged. “The portals have been closed until recently. I doubt if there’s ever been a formal test of its boundaries.”

“With a portal in the center of downtown I’m sure interest in the Spirit World is going to increase. We are going to need to put in some level of security around the portal to monitor who is passing through. A few weeks ago we just walked right in, who knows who else has been doing the same?”

“That’s a good point. Man, I haven’t even been thinking about the spirit portal. I mean in the context of it being in the city,” the Avatar sighed.

“There’s been a lot going on, but I think we’re really going to need to gain some focus when we get back.”

“So what would you like to see first?” Korra asked, turning to her parents but finding they were gone.

“Is that the Tree of Time?" Senna exclaimed as she shuffled towards the gnarled tree.

“It is,” Tonraq replied walking closely behind her.

Korra shot a smile to Asami and the two trailed behind the older couple heading for the tree.

The four stood below the Tree of Time, staring up at the branches. Korra felt a pang of embarrassment as she looked the tree over. Less than a year ago she was fruitlessly meditating beneath it, hoping to regain her connection with Raava. It wasn’t long after she was getting her ass kicked in a underground earthbending match. She made so many mistakes during that time, she felt grateful no one was around to see it.

Asami shaking her shoulder brought Korra back to the present.

“We heard a weird noise.”

Korra nodded and they walked around the perimeter, stopping when they saw a figure hunched over, rooting around the trunk.

“Stay back,” Korra warned, taking a few steps closer, Asami trailing close behind her.

“C’mon, there must be some sticks around here somewhere!” shouted a very familiar male voice.

“Varrick?” Korra asked, stepping closer.

Varrick stopped his foraging and turned around. “Hey kids, what brings you to these parts?”

Korra and Asami turned to each other, relieved.

“I was going to ask the same thing,” the Avatar replied.

Varrick rubbed his hands together to get rid of some dirt, and walked towards the girls. “Zhu Li and I are here on our honeymoon of course! She’s around here somewhere also looking for some firewood for our camp.”

“Should he be building a fire in the Spirit World?” Asami murmured to Korra.

“Uh… I don’t know actually.”

Varrick flapped a hand dismissively at the girls. “It’s fine, we’ve been making one every night! How else are we supposed to cook our dinner?” 

“Just don’t start a wildfire in the Spirit World, okay?” the Avatar warned.

“Roger that! So what are you kids doing out in this part of the Spirit World? Hopefully not planning on fighting another giant spirit monster. Give us the heads up if you do, so the misses and I can skedaddle outta here.”

“No, just here on a little day trip with my parents,” Korra explained pointing back to her mother and father standing a few feet away.

“Great, great. You wouldn’t happen to know what day it is, would you two?”

Korra turned to her girlfriend. “Uh…”

“It’s the eighth of the month,” Asami answered.

Varrick fished around in one of his large pants pockets and pulled out a small planner. Pens and a few other papers slipped out and pooled around him on the ground.

“Huh, my calculations are way off.”

Asami stepped closer so she could look over Varrick’s shoulder. “What day did you think it was?”

“We’ve been in here for what’s felt like days, almost a week, but apparently it’s only been two days.”

“Hello Avatar Korra, Miss Sato!” Zhu Li called out as she came from behind a snow drift, a collection of wood in hand.

Korra and Asami gave Zhu Li a quick wave as she walked past them and over to what appeared to be the couple’s packs. Zhu Li dropped the load of wood next to them.

“The girls here say we’ve only been in here two days!” Varrick called out, still mulling over his notes.

“That seems so unlikely; we’ve traveled all the way from the Republic City portal. Perhaps it’s not located where we thought?” Zhu Li said, joining the small circle they had formed.

“We experienced a time discrepancy when Korra and I were here a few weeks ago. We came in from the Republic City portal, but time moved faster on the outside. Our vacation of eight days in here turned out to be around three weeks in the physical world.”

“How very strange; is that why you are here now, to investigate?” Zhu Li asked.

Korra started to rub the back of her head. “We’re actually here sorta on another vacation… though I think this is turning into something I should look into when I get back to Republic City.”

“Well we’ll give you the full report when we get back ourselves. The plan is to exit the Southern Portal, show Zhu Li the village I grew up in and then back to the city! Asami, I’d like to meet with you at some point, so I can pitch you some of my brilliant ideas with magnets!”

“Magnets again?” Asami asked dryly.

Varrick put a hand to his chin and looked up. “Well more like for the first time, everything got tabled when I started working for Kuvira. She was all into spirit vine technology, completely ignoring the natural and spirit-friendly technology of magnets!”

“You know my office number, schedule a meeting when you get back,” Asami sighed.

“Brilliant!”

“Enjoy the rest of your honeymoon,” Korra said with a smile.

Zhu Li bowed her head slightly. “Enjoy the rest of your trip as well.”

Korra and Asami gave the couple another wave before walking back towards her parents.

“Thanks for waiting. Those two are always up to something,” Korra explained as they began to walk again.

Asami slowed her pace. “Now I’m curious about what time it will be when we leave today. What if a week has gone by when we get out?”

“Something the matter?” Tonraq asked.

“We’re not sure…”

“When Korra and I ventured to the Spirit World a few weeks ago, there was a discrepancy between the time inside and the time in the physical world. Honestly, I thought it was because I had wished for time to stop when we stepped through the portal…” Asami said, putting a hand to her chest. She could feel a slight blush forming on her cheeks from her admission.

Korra tottered back and forth on her feet as she spoke. “You mentioned that, but I thought you were just… I dunno now...”

“I was going to chalk it up to magical Avatar stuff, but clearly that was just wishful thinking. Something could be seriously wrong in here.”

Korra winced. “We need to go back, don’t we?”

“Korra honey, we understand if you need to leave,” Senna said softly.

The Avatar kicked a small rock by her foot.

“Your old parents aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. We’ll come visit you in Republic City, that way if something comes up during a visit you’ll be where you need to be,” Tonraq said, putting his arm around Senna.

Korra turned to her parents. “I’m really sorry guys.”

“Don’t be,” Senna whispered, reaching out her free hand to touch her daughter’s cheek.

“We should go now, through the Republic City portal, that will be fastest,” Asami suggested.

“What about your airship, and luggage?” Senna asked.

“I can arrange for someone to fly it back, I have a few business connections in town.”

Korra nodded. “Okay, but we’re taking my parents back through the portal first.”

“I know the way back,” Tonraq said, waving off his daughter. “We might as well look around for a bit while we’re here.”

“No way, weird stuff is happening in the Spirit World, I’m not leaving anything to chance,” Korra replied, pinching her mitten fingers on both her parents coats.

***

After dinner at the temple, Jinora went outside to take a walk around the grounds. She didn’t walk long before she heard her name being called.

“Hey Jinora!”

Jinora turned around and saw her boyfriend standing a few feet away.  “Kai, when did you get back?”

“A few hours ago, can I join you?”

“‘Course.”

The pair began to walk towards the outer limits of the island, near the rocky shore. Kai stretched out his hand to take Jinora’s. She accepted his hand, and gently squeezed their palms together.

“So…” Jinora started. “How did your trip to the Earth Kingdom with Opal go?”

“It went okay. The outer states are still in rough shape.”

“I can imagine, so… uh… what’s the plan?”

“Your father has put me and Opal in charge of overseeing the relief efforts.”

Jinora already knew the answer, but needed to ask. “So you’ll be going away for a while?”

“Yeah…” Kai replied slowing his pace. “You should come with!” he said, placing his other hand over their joined ones.

“You know I can’t do that, I need to work with my father here,” Jinora replied shaking her head.

Kai’s expression fell and he let go of Jinora’s hand. He moved his hands to the top of his hips.

“Fine, but you could at least visit this time.”

“What are you talking about, I visited you,” the young air master said, mirroring Kai’s stance.

“Hardly, and you had the same excuse. I’m starting to get the feeling you don’t want to be around me.”

“Of course I do. The way you’re always gone could make me say the same thing about you.”

Kai took a few steps closer and slapped his left hand on his chest. “I’ve been helping to fix this big mess the world has been in, sorry if that eats up a lot of my time.”

“Why are we fighting, clearly we are working towards the same goal?”

“Are we?”

Jinora scowled at the remark. “Don’t even joke like that.”

“I’m sorry, it’s just hard, you know?” Kai said quietly, backing off a bit.

“Of course I know, it’s hard for me too. I love you…”

Kai stepped forward again, placing his hands on Jinora’s slender shoulders. “I love you too,” he whispered before leaning in for a kiss.

 

To be continued...

Chapter 26: The Dinner Date

Notes:

Thank you TheToasterMarketingBoard for editing and anomaly checking!

Chapter Text

Mako paced along the length of his room, anticipating Yasmine’s arrival. She planned to meet Opal and himself at his room before traveling to her parents’ all together.

Opal was currently rummaging around Mako’s closet with the hope that the previous occupant of the room might have left something she could wear.

“Just wear your airbender outfit, it’s perfectly acceptable,” Mako said curtly.

“Let me keep looking, we still have time.”

The pair fell silent when they heard a soft rapping.

“Time’s up,” Mako said, shuffling to the door. He gave his hair a few quick pats before opening it.

“Hey Mako…” Wu said hesitantly.

“Wu.”

“Wu?” Opal asked, peeking her head out of the closet.

“What’s going on in here?” Wu asked, pushing past Mako.

Opal rushed to greet Wu. She threw out her hand for the prince to share.“Hi Wu, thank you again for all the help with, you know,”

“My pleasure... What are you doing back here in the Earth Kingdom?”

“Just some airbender rounds. I was in the area so I thought I’d come for a quick visit.”

Wu turned to his bodyguard. “I guess that means that you’re busy tonight then, Mako?”

“Yeah... Sorry,” Mako replied, not making eye contact.

Opal looked at Wu, then Mako, then back at Wu. “We were going out to dinner actually, it’s at your favorite spot, you should join.”

“You guys are going to the Sighing Lotus?”

“Y-es!” Opal said, nodding her head up and down a few times.

“I am in!”

“Great, go get changed and meet us back here,” Opal instructed, leading the prince towards the door. He scurried out and down the hall.

“Are you out of your mind? He’s going to be so pissed when he comes back to find us gone!” Mako said, charging towards the door.

Opal smirked as she watched him, and shoved the door closed. “Change of plans, we’re all going out to dinner at the Sighing Lotus, your treat.”

“What? That place is super fancy. More importantly, I was invited to go to her parents’ place and we already changed the plans once, by inviting you,” Mako said, waving his arms.

Opal pushed off from the door and got in Mako’s face. “That’s why it’s the perfect spot. The parents will be impressed, and willing to drop their dinner plans for some free fancy grub.”

Mako furrowed his brow and put his hands on his hips as he leaned down towards Opal. “Wasn’t the plan to un-impress them?”

“Ultimately, yes. This will make you first; look like you’re trying too hard to impress them. Second; seem inconsiderate since you keep changing the plans, and, third; look like you don’t even want to be with them tonight by inviting your friends along.”

Mako’s expression softened. “You’re right, I’m going to seem like a real ass tonight.”

“Tonight?” Opal replied, smirking.

Mako scowled at the remark and backed off of his brother’s girlfriend. “Anything else you want to change or do before Yasmine gets here?”

Opal put her hand on her chin for a moment to think. She gave Mako the once over and then smiled. “Yes. You need an outfit change, let’s go catch up with Wu.”

***

“Mako, Mako, Mako,  you look fantastic. You should let me dress you more often,” Wu gloated as he circled the firebender.

The creases on Mako’s face from frowning deepened as he looked at himself in the mirror. Wu had put him in a crushed velvet suit, the same mossy green color as his own. Gold trim ran along every possible edge of his suit jacket, and even adorned the cuff of his pants. Sewn above his heart was an elaborate crest. It was a mix of symbols in the very same green and gold.

“I look like I should be opening the doors at the restaurant, not eating at it,” Mako whined

“Oh Wu,” Opal covered her mouth in an attempt to hide her smirk. “You did such a good job.”

“Thank you. Now, you don’t plan on wearing that drab looking jumpsuit out, do you Opal?”

The airbender’s smile faded. “I couldn’t find anything, don’t worry about it.” Opal waved Wu off with her left hand for emphasis.

Wu scowled, putting his hands on his hips. “C’mon, you can’t be the only one who doesn’t dress up.”

“Yeah Opal, let Wu take care of you too,” Mako urged, grinning ear to ear.

“Uhh…” Opal stalled.

“Let’s go, I know where we can find some women’s clothing.”

Opal started to back away from the boys. “Really, I’m fine.”

Mako peeked at his wristwatch while Opal tried to keep away from Wu.

“I’m gonna go back to my room to wait for Yasmine. We’ll swing back here to pick you two up.”

Wu stopped his assault on Opal and looked to Mako. “Yasmine? She’s coming out to dinner with us?”

“Yeah... and... her parents.”

“I thought it was going to just be the three of us? Why didn’t you say anything earlier?”

Mako felt the blood in his face start to drain as he watched Wu pout.

“So, you going to dress me up or what?” Opal asked, placing a hand on the prince’s shoulder. “C’mon, before we run out of time and I actually have to wear this.”

“Okay, it’s uh... Just across the hall, follow me.”

“See you in a few, Mako!” Opal called out over-enthusiastically as she exited the room.

Mako mouthed ‘thank you’ and then breathed a sigh of relief when they were out of sight. The firebender waited a few minutes before leaving, then quietly passed through the halls, silently praying no one saw him in his ridiculous outfit. He was almost home free. He turned down the hall and saw Yasmine waiting in front of his door.

Mako stopped, dumbstruck by the beautiful woman before him. Yasmine’s long slender brown legs were on full display. The skirt she was wearing just barely covered the required amount of skin. Her chocolate brown hair, that was usually tied up, pooled around her exposed shoulders.

“Mako, what are you wearing?”

Yasmine’s question broke the firebender out of his haze and the reality of the situation all came crashing back down on top of him. Then Mako wondered; was he really planning on messing up his relationship with this gorgeous woman?

“Mako?” Yasmine asked, stepping closer.

“Uh… you like it?”

Yasmine pinched some of the gold trim along his collar between her fingers. “It’s a little... flashy. Since when do you wear Earth Kingdom fashion?”

“I let Wu dress me, he really wanted to. He, uh-” Mako started to babble. He could smell his girlfriend’s sweet perfume, and it was making him dizzy. “I did it as a favor, he’s a little jealous of all the time you and I have been spending together.”

“Oh, well that’s sweet of you. I thought it seemed a little out of character,” Yasmine said, releasing her hold on Mako’s fabric. She then took a step out of his personal space.

Mako looked down at his feet, trying to gain his composure from the distractingly attractive woman in front of him. “Heh, yeah, and I uh, actually felt so bad, that I uh, I invited him to dinner with us.”

“What? We’re going to my parents’ house and it’s already a little weird that you want your sister-in-law to come.” Yasmine furrowed her brow and folded her arms across her chest. “You never told me your brother was married.”

“She’s in town for one night, I couldn’t leave her all alone.” Mako slowly raised his head to meet his girlfriend’s eyes. He began to sweat, fearing the look of disappointment and anger he was about to face. “Opal told me weeks ago but I forgot what with all the uh... excitement…”

Yasmine frowned and seemed to be about to say something, but Mako ploughed on.

“I know it’s a burden on your parents to host this large a group now, so I got us a reservation at the Sighing Lotus, my treat!” he said, defensively holding up his hands.

“The Sighing Lotus?” Yasmine repeated, her expression softening. “That is my parents’ favorite restaurant. I’m sure they won’t mind a change of plans when I tell them that’s where we’ll be going.”

Mako nodded enthusiastically as she spoke.

“You’re really going to treat them to a meal at the Sighing Lotus? That place is good, but I feel it’s a little over-priced.”

“Why would I say that and not mean it? Heh. Well, why don’t you grab your parents and meet us at the restaurant?”

“Okay, what time is the reservation?”

Mako glanced at his watched. It was quarter past the sixth hour.

“Seven?”

“Is that a question? You have a reservation, right?”

“Yes! No! No, it’s not a question and yes, of course I have a reservation. See you at seven!”

Mako flung open Prince Wu’s door, his heart beating so fast he thought he’d go in a panic, to find a very calm Wu and Opal sitting waiting for him.

“Where’s Yasmine?”

“She’s picking up her parents and meeting us there. We need to go, now!”

“Alright, alright,” Opal grumbled, getting up from her seat. When she stepped away from the armchair Mako was able to fully take in her outfit. It was a suit, almost identical to his own, but fitted for a woman’s curves, and on her lapel was a pink corsage.

Opal smiled as Mako gawked.

“We’re twins.”

“You couldn’t find a dress for her?” Mako asked, looking at Wu.

The prince got up and joined the group. “C’mon Mako, this is more daring. It’s a new age, time for some drastic changes to fashion!”

“Yeah Mako,” Opal added.

“Why am I even saying anything?” Mako asked himself as he pinched the bridge of his nose. “It doesn’t matter, let’s go.”

***

Korra made Asami wait outside the forest surrounding the southern spirit portal until her parents were mere specks on the snowy horizon before they re-entered the Spirit World.

“So do you think we should wander around a bit or go straight back to Republic City?” Korra asked, glancing around the area between the two portals.

“Let’s get to the city first, just to check in, then we can launch a formal investigation,” Asami replied.

Korra nodded and began to bow her head.

“Wait, where’s Varrick and Zhu Li?” Asami asked, looking over her shoulder.

“Damnit Varrick,” the Avatar cursed as she walked towards the Tree of Time. “Maybe they went to go get more firewood…”

As the couple walked around the tree they heard a noise and then a “Ssshh!” They both turned to each other with wide eyes.

“Varrick?” Korra asked taking a step closer.

“Uh,” Varrick started. “D- don’t come over here! We’re not decent!”

Korra’s face flushed from a combination of rage and embarrassment. She stormed closer to the opening of the tree and cupped her hands to shout down to the pair. “You are not doing what I think you’re doing inside the Tree of Time?”

“We were waiting for you to leave,” Varrick timidly replied.

“We mean no disrespect to the tree Avatar Korra, but there isn’t a lot of cover near the portal,” Zhu Li called out. “It is our honeymoon!”

“I don’t care if it’s your fiftieth anniversary, you are not defiling this sacred tree! Get your clothes on and leave the Spirit World, now!”

“Alright, alright! We’re going!” Varrick barked back.

“And as Avatar I am banning you from the Spirit World for a year!”

“Korra,” Asami warned.

The Avatar leaned into her girlfriend and kept her voice low. “Something weird is going on in here, and we don’t need these two knuckleheads causing any more damage.”

“I guess it’s for the best that we get all humans out of here while we investigate,” Asami sighed.

Varrick and Zhu Li crept out from under the tree. Varrick held his hands in the air as he walked.

“Varrick, put your arms down,” Korra groaned.

He quickly obeyed. “Force of habit over the years.”

“Listen guys, we’re concerned about the weird time discrepancies, it’s safer if you got out of here anyways. Varrick, I look forward to our meeting when you get back,” Asami called out, with a friendly wave.

“Yeah, well I might need to re-think that,” the entrepreneur muttered as he hoisted his large pack over his shoulder. “C’mon honey.”

Zhu Li mirrored his actions and they marched towards the portal. Korra and Asami silently watched the couple disappear. Once they were truly gone Asami broke the silence.

“I hope you’re happy, ‘oh mighty Avatar,’ you potentially cost me a big business opportunity with magnets.”

There was a brief pause before both girls cracked a smile.

“Gee Asami, I’m really sorry. I hope dating me doesn’t affect business too much,” Korra teased.

“We’ll see, won’t we?”

“Seriously, do you have any concerns about that?”

“Naw,” Asami said, with a flip of her hair. “And if it does, I can always appoint a figurehead to be the new face of my company while I call the shots in the shadows.”

“That’s good, I guess…”

The Avatar started to bow her head. “I still can’t believe those two…” she muttered under her breath.

“Focus,” Asami urged.

Korra closed her eyes and the rocky terrain around them began to shift and skew. In a few moments the pair were in the fluorescent field of flowers that first greeted them on their original vacation.

“Can you really go anywhere in the Spirit World with that little trick?”

“As long as I can envision it, yeah.”

Asami smiled and turned her attention towards the portal.

“Hey, uh, babe?” Korra asked, her voice cracking a bit.

Asami sharply turned around, her eyes wide and cheeks a little pink.

“I’m sorry about this morning, what I said came out all wrong. I’m okay with you calling me babe, if maybe I can call you that too?”

Asami grinned.

Korra continued. “Cos I mean, I’m not the only babe in this relationship, so it’s only fair.”

“So this is about fairness now, is it?” Asami asked, stepping closer. “I suppose I can make an allowance. So, are you going to kiss me before we step through this thing or what, babe?”

Korra obliged, and when the pair separated they passed through the portal from the Spirit World into Republic City.

***

It didn’t take long for the Mako, Opal and Wu to walk from the palace to outside the small, gaudy-looking restaurant. On either side of the entrance was a small fountain. Lit from behind, the water sparkled like glitter as the lights’ reflections danced over the face of the building. It was clear those parts of the inner ring that had escaped the fires after the Earth Queen was assassinated had seen little to no changes in their lifestyle during the past three years. The high-end shops and restaurants continued with business as usual.

The three stepped up to the door and before Mako could grasp the handle, a woman opened it for him from the inside.

“Welcome to the Sighing Lotus,” she said with a bow.

Mako nervously shuffled passed her. Wu straightened his back and lifted his chin as he entered. Opal rolled her eyes and pulled up the rear.

To the left of the entrance was the host’s podium.

“Good evening,” the host greeted in a buttery voice. “Do you have a reservation?”

Mako pulled at his collar and stepped up. “No, uh, but I’m going to need a table for six.”

The host covered his mouth with his hand, suppressing a laugh. “Sir, I apologize, but did you honestly believe you could get a table for such a large party during the dinner hour the night before the weekend?”

“So that’s a no?” Mako asked, before being shoved aside by Wu.

“Hi, uh,” Wu started, leaning over the podium to get a look at the host’s name tag. “Phong. Do you know who I am?”

“No.”

Wu placed his hand on his chest and puffed it out as he spoke. “I am Prince Wu, that’s prince of the Earth Kingdom.  Don’t you think your humble restaurant should be able to make accommodations for the heir to the throne?”

“Mako! Everything alright?” Yasmine asked stepping up to the group, her parents flanking behind her.

Mako darted over to Yasmine, putting his arm around her shoulder, ushering his girlfriend as far away from the podium as she would move. “Yeah, just a little oversight on the restaurant’s part. So these are your parents?”

The elderly couple stepped forward.

“My mother Zhǎng lì Rice, and my father Zōngsè Rice,” Yasmine said, pointing to each parent as she spoke.

“So your name is Yasmine-” before Mako could finish his thought, Yasmine’s father extended his hand to Mako.

“Nice to meet you Mako, we were starting to think you were giving us the slip.”

Mako fumbled to get his arm back from behind Yasmine, accidentally clocking her in the back of the head in the process.

“Hey, watch it!” Yasmine cursed, pulling away from him.

Mako flinched back from his girlfriend and looked between her and Zōngsè. He threw his hand out to grasp the still extended hand of Yasmine’s father.

“Nice to meet you sir, sorry, I’m little nervous,” Mako said, giving Zōngsè’s hand a few shakes. He then craned his head back to check on Wu’s progress. The prince and Opal were still standing at the podium, but the host was nowhere in sight.

“So this is my sister-in-law,” Mako called out over his shoulder, catching Opal’s attention. She scooted over the the group standing next to Mako and gave them a big fake smile.

“Hi! I’m Opal, Mako’s sister-in-law,” the airbender said, thrusting her hand at Yasmine’s parents. She shook Zōngsè’s hand and then Zhǎng lì’s. “It’s sooo nice to meet you. Mako’s brother, my husband, and I thought he’d neeever get a girlfriend. We had just about given up on him.”

Mako’s face burned as Opal spoke.

“Oh…” Zhǎng lì uttered as she pulled her hand away from the airbender

“We never formally met, did we?” Opal muttered. She then gestured towards Yasmine. “You are way more beautiful than Mako’s description. He made you sound like the stuffy bureaucratic type, but clearly that is not the case. Are you on the menu tonight, because-”

Before Opal could finish Mako pulled her arm towards Wu and the podium. “Enough, Opal,” Mako growled in her ear.

The host had returned and was bowing deeply. “Please follow me.”

The group was led to a separate area, away from the main dining room. The space was dimly lit, by only a few candles. Three chairs were on either side of the rectangular bamboo table. Between each place setting was a small menu.

Once they were all inside the host closed the sheer lotus pattern curtains over the doorway.

“Prince Wu and party, please do not hesitate if you need anything. Your server will be with you momentarily,” Phong said to the group, bowing once more before leaving.

“Prince Wu?” Zhǎng lì asked, glancing in Wu’s direction as she took her seat across from her husband.

Wu, who was sitting at the far and opposite side of Zhǎng lì, smiled and waved. “I’m a very good friend, and now stylist, of Mako’s.”

Mako, who was seated between Wu and Zōngsè, felt his face turn bright red. He cleared his throat and quickly grabbed his water glass in front of him. He raised it slightly and looked at the three women across the table.

“I uh, just wanted to thank all of you for coming out with me tonight.”

“You can’t make a toast with water,” Zōngsè grumbled, pushing his water glass farther away from himself.

“Yeah Mako,” Wu said nudging the firebender in the ribs. “Where is that waiter?”

Wu was about to get up when the curtains parted and a small old man passed through.

“Yan Yan?” the prince asked, rising from the table again.

Yan Yan opened his crinkled eyes a little wider at the sound of his name. “Master Wu?”

“What are you doing working here?”

“This is my side job, just something to get me out of the hangar once in a while. I was a professional server before I got my licence, you know.”

Wu clasped his hands together. “Oh, for a second I was worried you weren’t getting paid enough.”

“Well, one can always make more…” Yan Yan said with a smile.

“Could you please bring us a bottle of the house’s best wine.”

Mako’s heart started to race at the sound of ‘best wine’ and he nudged Wu’s legs under the table. The prince flinched and turned to Mako.

“Think we should get two?”

Mako’s eyes widened as he tried to convey with his face ‘no’ in every possible way he could think of without shaking his head. Wu furrowed his eyebrows as he tried to understand.

Opal noticed Mako’s panic and leaned towards Yan Yan. “Let’s start with one bottle for now.”

Yan Yan bowed. “Very good.”

Mako released a long sigh and slumped a bit in his seat. He dared a glance over a Yasmine. Her expression was hard to read. His stomach started to feel like he had swallowed a pro bending earth disc, and its weight was pulling his stomach lower and lower into his body.

Before he had a chance to think of something to say to her, Yan Yan returned with the bottle of wine. The small man swiftly poured each member of the table a half glass of dark red liquid.

“Are we ready to order?” Yan Yan asked.

Everyone looked down at their menu. There were only five options and no prices. Mako cringed, knowing what that meant.

‘I’m going to have to borrow some money from Wu at this rate…’ he thought to himself as he looked over the strange-sounding options.

Once the group finished ordering, Yan Yan slipped through the curtain, leaving them alone in silence.

Zōngsè lifted his glass and gestured at Mako with it. “So, you were saying?”

Mako shot up in his chair and fumbled at his wine glass. He held it up, trying desperately to not let his quivering nerves show. “Yes, uh, thank you all for being here… tonight.”

The group waited with their glasses raised, expecting Mako to continue his speech. Instead he held his glass a little higher and then stretched it out to click with Yasmine’s. Everyone followed his cue and tapped glasses. Mako then flung his head backwards and downed the contents of his glass. The rest of the party took a more conservative sip from their glasses.

“So Mako, our daughter tells us you met on that terrifying trip to bring Kuvira to the Earth Kingdom?” Zhǎng lì asked.

Mako looked to Yasmine, whose unreadable expression had not changed. He could feel Wu and Opal’s eyes, but chose to not to meet them. Mako looked back towards his girlfriend’s parents.

“Yes, I admired how she handled the whole situation, even before the accident. I feel she is a true asset to the Earth Kingdom.”

“Yes, she is. We were expecting a little more recognition from the powers that be…” Zōngsè said, looking in Wu’s direction.

Wu pursed his lips for a moment before he spoke. “I’m sure it’s just been a bit of an oversight. We are still quite swamped, hashing out the new government. The ‘powers that be’ will remember those who stuck it out during this time of uncertainty.”

“Hmph. This whole situation has been a mess. Kuvira was a monster, but we were finally starting to get some order around here since the queen’s assasination. I feel like even in just the past few weeks we’ve lost some of that hard-earned progress.”

“At least it feels safe to go out at night again,” Zhǎng lì said, wrapping her arms around herself for a moment. “Life has not been easy in the upper ring.”

Mako felt his eyes unconsciously roll back in his head at Zhǎng lì’s words.

“It’s been a change,” Wu admitted. “But I see a better future with independent states with elected leaders, like the United Republic.”

“Speaking of the United Republic,” Zōngsè started, looking around the table. “When does the Avatar plan to grace us Earth Kingdom citizens with her presence and help clean up some of the mess she helped start?”

Wu blinked a few times and gestured towards Mako. “He’s our Avatar expert.”

Mako hunched his shoulders and desperately wanted to slide back down into his chair. “I’m sure she’ll be around...”

“She’s on vacation,” Opal added, leaning in over the table. As soon as the words were out she immediately regretted the information she just gave away. She shot back down in her chair, and felt butterflies start to plague her stomach.

Zōngsè jerked back into his seat with surprise. “A vacation? Does she know the kind of message she is sending to the people? It’s a message that says ‘I don’t care.’ She’ll never be an Avatar like Aang was.”

Mako shot Opal a look, and saw the regret all over her face. Sensing her distress Mako put on a big smile and looked to Yasmine’s parents. “She’s kidding. My sister-in-law has an exaggerated sense of humor. Korra’s just recuperating from the fight against Kuvira, and opening a new spirit portal. I’m sure she’ll be back in action really soon.”

Zōngsè snorted and then reached for his wine glass.

“My Mako, you seem to know your fair share of famous people,” Zhǎng lì commented. “How did you become friends with the Avatar?”

“We were on the same pro-bending team. We became very close, and I learned how wonderful a person she is. I used to join her on her adventures.” As Mako spoke he started to look away. “It wasn’t until we stopped Kuvira from taking over Republic City that things between us felt like they used to, three years ago.”

Zhǎng lì’s eyes crinkled as she gave Mako a polite smile. “I see.”

There were a few awkward moments of silence before Yan Yan entered the room, following by two other servers. They carried a single plate on each hand, and laid them before the corresponding diner.

The silence resumed once the servers were gone. Everyone looked down at their food, and picked up their chopsticks. Chopsticks clanking on the porcelain occasionally broke the total silence.

“I gotta say, it kinda sounded like you dated the Avatar. Did you, Mako?” Zōngsè asked.

Yasmine dropped her chopsticks and whined, “Dad!”

“Uh…” Mako uttered, looking to Opal for guidance. She nodded. “Briefly...”

“You’re not still in love with her, are you?” Zōngsè pressed.

“Dad, what are you doing?”

“Yasmine, you heard they way he talked about Avatar Korra, right front of you no less.”

“Are you still in love with Korra?” Wu asked softly.

Mako stared past the women in front of him. In that moment he wished he could look through the wall, or even pass through it. At Varrick and Zhu Li’s wedding he realized yes, he was still in love with Korra. A few weeks after that he learned Korra and Asami had started dating, he still loved her then. In the desert he told Korra he still loved her and now…

‘I still love you Korra, but…’ Make though, daring a peek at his current girlfriend. ‘Yasmine, she’s not a bad catch. She’s smart, driven, and beautiful. Am I running because I’m afraid to let myself love someone else? Is that what my panic as been all about?’

Mako stopped staring off, and looked around the table. “No, I don’t. Korra is a good friend, and I greatly admire her, but that is all.” As he spoke, he dared a glance at Opal. Her eyes were wide, and she was making the same desperate expression he was earlier to stop Wu. Mako continued anyway.  “I’ve met a wonderful woman, why would I want to compromise that?”

Opal, not caring who saw slapped her hand to her face.

 

To be continued...

Chapter 27: Heading Back

Notes:

Thank you TheToasterMarketingBoard, you're the best!

Chapter Text

***

It was a fairly quiet dinner for Tenzin and his family. Bumi was rattling on about one of his many tall tales as a commander. Meelo and Ikki were half-heartedly listening to their uncle, having heard this particular story a few times already.

Tenzin looked around the table and noted both Jinora and Zhou Rhen were not present for dinner. It then dawned on him that he hadn’t seen either since the morning.

The whooshing sound of a screen door sliding open and clanking against the stop  broke Tenzin from his thoughts.

“Hi everyone, we’re back!” Korra happily announced as she and Asami entered the dining room. Bumi stopped his story and the table all looked to the door.

Ikki shot up from her seat and ran towards the girls. “Yay!”

Korra grinned and opened her arms expecting a hug, but Ikki brushed past her and collided with Asami.

“I’m so glad you're back!”

“Good to see you too, Ikki,” Asami replied, reciprocating the embrace.

The Avatar shot a look to her girlfriend, and Asami could only smirk back.

“Yeah, good seeing you Ikki,” Korra said under her breath, making her way to an empty place at the table next to Tenzin. She removed her heavy coat and tucked it underneath the table. Ikki, still buzzing with excitement, clasped Asami’s hand and lead the other girl back towards her seat by Bumi and Meelo.

“I thought you were going to give us a call before you returned?” Tenzin commented, turning towards Korra.

“Yeah, something kinda came up and we wanted to get back right away.” Korra’s eyes drifted away from Tenzin and around the table. “Where’s Jinora?”

“She’s around here somewhere,” Pema said offhandedly, as she wiped at Rohan’s food riddled face.

“What happened?” Tenzin asked.

“It’s more like something is happening, in the Spirit World. Remember how Asami and I experienced a time discrepancy in there when we were on our vacation? Today we took my parents through the Southern Portal. We met up with Varrick and Zhu Li, who were wandering around in there, and when we told them what day is was, their calculations were also off.”

“Time had moved slower for them, whereas for us, it moved faster,” Asami quickly added.

Tenzin nodded a few times before speaking. “Not much is known about the Spirit World, it’s a surface we have just barely begun to scratch. It hypothetically could operate like that when a human physically passes into the world, versus entering through meditation,” the airbending master offered.

“Yeah, it’s still weird though,” Korra rebutted.

Tenzin tugged the hairs at tip of his beard. “It is strange, but how pressing of a matter…”

“We can’t ignore this,” the Avatar urged, leaning over the table.

“I have mentioned your first trip to the White Lotus…” Tenzin trailed off, looking towards the open door. Korra followed his eyes, expecting someone to be standing in the doorway she had recently passed through, but there was no one.

“Tenzin.”

Tenzin looked back to Korra at her command, but his eyes kept darting back to the door. “Yes…well...”

Asami pushed herself up from the table. “Tenzin, I think it should be investigated, pressing matter or not. The Spirit World is now a part of Republic City. I plan to propose to President Raiko that we need to restrict access to the portal while we learn the basics of how this other world operates.”

Asami had caught Tenzin’s attention and he turned to face her across the table. “I will support that proposal. I agree the Spirit World should not be open to anyone who feels like wandering in,” he said with a nod.

The Avatar cracked a smile. “Don’t worry, we kicked Varrick out before we came back.”

“Korra!” Jinora’s voice called out. The young air master rushed through the open door and towards the Avatar at the table.

“Here she is,” Pema called out to no one in particular.

Jinora took the empty place directly across from Korra. “I’m so glad you’re back.”

The Avatar flashed her lopsided grin before darting a glance Ikki and Asami’s way. “At least someone is.”

“When did you get in? Why didn’t you tell us you were heading back today?”

Korra held up her hands as if to defend herself from the assault of questions. “We just kinda went over that, but to summarize, we need to launch an investigation on how time works in the Spirit World. As the airbending master most spiritually in tune with the Spirit World, I’d like you to help me.”

Tenzin was about to object, but Jinora cut him off.

“Of course!”

“Jinora…” her father warned.

“Dad, this is the Spirit World we’re talking about, I can shadow you some other time,” Jinora said, staring her father down.

“Very well, but you can’t go until the day after tomorrow. Korra still needs to meet her… guest, first.”

Jinora rolled her eyes at her father, and the Avatar took notice.

“My guest?” Korra asked, looking around the room, but only seeing familiar faces.

“Yes, remember what we discussed before you left? The White Lotus member is here to meet with you,” Tenzin replied.

“Oh, that was fast.”

“Yes, he arrived a lot quicker than I anticipated,” Tenzin said, daring a glance at his eldest daughter. Jinora was clearly trying to hold her tongue. Her brows were furrowed and her eyes were locked on the table. He turned to his wife. “Do we have any leftovers for the girls?”

Pema started to ease up from her spot. “Yes, I’ll get their food if you can get Rohan to eat the rest of his dinner.”

“I can get it, Pema,” Korra said, rising up from her seat.

“I’ll help,” Jinora added, mirroring the Avatar.

After the two girls left the room, Bumi lifted himself up from his place. He stretched out his arms like an old lemur and shuffled towards the door. “Whelp, I’m going to turn in for the evening.”

Meelo exaggeratedly mimicked uncle's motions and then slapped at his protruding belly with both hands. “I need to turn in too.”

Before the young airbender could move one foot away the table his mother spoke up.

“Meelo, you’re not getting out of dishes tonight.”

Meelo dramatically slumped his shoulders and thoughtlessly flung a hand at his bowl. “The girls are late, I don’t have to wait for their dishes to be ready do I?”

Pema furrowed her brow as she glared at her son. “No, but you have to do the dishes that are ready now.”

Meelo, still pouting, walked around the table collecting the abandoned bowls. Ikki grinned as she held out her bowl to her brother. He silently snatched it without humoring her with a response.

Once Meelo made his final and dramatic exit from the dining area, the rest of the group relaxed.

“You’d swear I was asking him to cut off a hand,” Pema murmured to herself.

Tenzin shrugged his shoulders at his wife’s comment. “He’ll outgrow it.”

“You’ve been saying that since he was two.”

Asami cracked a smile at the older couple’s comments. Pema noticed and smirked.

“Just you wait, it won’t be so amusing when it’s your own children you’re dealing with.” Pema turned her sights to her younger daughter, who was also grinning. “You have even more reason to be concerned Ikki, that obstinacy is hereditary.”

“One Meelo in the family is enough!” Ikki groaned.

***

Jinora and Korra were spooning rice and vegetables into three bowls when Meelo loudly entered the kitchen.

“‘Scuse me, dirty dishes coming through!”

He intentionally brushed up against the girls as he made his way towards the sink.

Jinora jerked away from her brother. “There’s plenty of room to go around us!”

Meelo ignored the comment and dumped his armful of dishes in the water-filled sink. He then loudly started scrubbing at the bowls, clinking them together and against the basin.

“So uh, have you met this guest of mine?” Korra asked, topping off the bowl she was prepping for Asami.

Jinora looked down at her own full bowl. “I don’t think Dad wants me saying anything.”

Korra felt her stomach clench; the reluctance to say more than a few words about this ‘guest’ was making her a little nervous.

“He also doesn’t want me working with you as much…” Jinora whispered.

At the same time as his sister’s admission, Meelo loudly stacked a clean porcelain bowl with the other clean ones.

“What?” Korra asked, leaning closer.

“Dad wants me to start shadowing him more, and less with you.”

“Because of this White Lotus guy? What he is here for is completely different from what we’re doing.”

The young airbender’s heart started to race, and the corner of her eyes stung with threatening tears. She rubbed her eyes, a bit unsure why this was making her feel so emotional.

Jinora let out a sigh before speaking. “My dad said he kind of misrepresented how much time I should focus on learning to guide you. Studying with you is more of a backup plan, in case something happened to him prematurely, but it shouldn’t be my primary focus.”

“Oh, that’s a grim thought…” Korra murmured. The uneasy feeling in her stomach increased at the thought of Tenzin not being in her life. He had been a continual source of guidance and comfort in her time in Republic City. She looked to her younger companion. Jinora had also been a constant in her life.

“This upcoming mission isn’t about our future roles, this is about the Spirit World, and I know you are the best person to help me figure out what is going on.”

Jinora looked up at Korra with hopeful eyes.

“Master Jinora, I am requesting your aid on official Avatar business.”

The younger girl cracked a smile, and wiped at her eyes. “I can’t decline an official Avatar summons.”

***

A cool breeze blew around the small group huddled outside the Sighing Lotus restaurant. Zōngsè and Zhǎng lì shook the hands of their daughter’s friends one more time as they prepared to leave.

Zōngsè extended his large hand to Mako’s smaller one and clasped around it. “Well Mako, it was certainly... interesting meeting you,”  he said, as he let go of the firebender’s hand and then turned to his daughter. “Yasmine, are you coming home tonight?”

“Yes, I’ll catch up with you in a minute,” she replied.

Opal turned to Wu and hooked her arm around his. “I think I forgot something inside the restaurant. Wu, will you come with me?”

“Why-” Wu started to object, but Opal pulled him out of range before Mako and Yasmine could hear the rest.

Once they were out of Mako’s sight, his eyes darted everywhere but his girlfriend’s face. “So, uh, you live with your parents?”

“I told you that,” Yasmine replied. She crossed her arms and tilted her head back towards the dark sky. The waning moon was starting to peek out from behind a cloud.

“Oh yeah… Sorry,” he murmured, rubbing the back of his neck.

The conversation dropped and the pair stood in silence. Mako focused on the trickling sounds of the fountains, hoping it would drown out the pounding beat of his heart in his ears.

“If you didn’t want to come to my parents’ house for dinner because you wanted to hang out with your friends, you should have just said so. I think it would have been a lot less trouble for you.”

Mako looked up and over to Yasmine, but her eyes were still locked on the moon. She continued, “You know Mako, I don’t really get you. I thought I did, but it’s clear to me now that you are just as confused about yourself as I am.”

Mako continued to stare as she spoke.

“I thought in that hospital room, I had met the real you. But tonight I realized you’ve only ever told me lies, haven’t you?” Yasmine asked, finally making eye contact with Mako.

He held her gaze, eyes wide, for a moment, before dropping his head in shame.

“Are you not even going to try and argue against anything I’ve said?” Yasmine urged.

The quiet and tense atmosphere was shattered when the front door of the restaurant burst open.

“C’mon Opal, I want to go back to the palace!” Wu barked loudly as he walked out of the building. Opal still had her arm locked with Wu, and this time was being dragged along by him.

“Wait!” Opal pleaded.

Wu continued to ignore the airbender and marched up to Mako. “Are you ready?”

Yasmine rolled her eyes at the new arrivals. “Alright Mako, if you don’t have anything to say to me, I’m going to go,” she said, turning to the still entangled Wu and Opal. “He’s all yours now.”

The prince threw up his free hand and waved at Yasmine. “Thanks!”

Yasmine rolled her eyes a second time as she began to march away from the group. Mako looked up again to see her back now facing him.

“Wait, Yasmine! I’m sorry.”

Yasmine stopped at the sound of Mako’s voice but didn’t turn around.

“You’re right, I have been lying to you,” he said, stumbling towards her. He stopped moving and talking, realizing he hadn’t thought beyond the impulse to stop her from leaving.

Mako dared a glance at Opal. She had given up restraining Wu and was now clutching her head. “What are you doing?” she mouthed, her face scrunched with frustration.

“Yasmine, you’re right. You’re right about everything,” Mako called out. This caused her to turn around and look at him. Yasmine was still visibly upset, her face flushed and her eyes glossy.

Mako swallowed hard and shuffled a few paces closer. “I am lost… It’s why I came to the Earth Kingdom in the first place.”

“Because of Avatar Korra’s new girlfriend,” Yasmine cut in.

Mako’s posture drooped. “You knew?”

Yasmine rolled her head back and scoffed. “I overheard your conversation in the desert. I was sitting right next you two, you know,” she said, gesturing to his side for emphasis. “You confessed to still being in love with her in broad daylight.”

Opal moved closer to Mako and slapped a hand on his shoulder. “I thought you told her everything?”

Mako shot Opal a warning look. He was about to explain but Wu’s nasally voice caught his attention.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa!” Wu exclaimed, marching towards Yasmine with his left hand up as if to stop her. Once his hand was a few inches from her face, he turned to look at Mako. “Avatar Korra has a girlfriend? Like a girlfriend , girlfriend?”

No one answered Wu’s question as he looked between the three.

“Who is it?” the prince pressed.

Opal threw her hands in the air in defeat. “Asami Sato!”

Wu’s eyes bugged and he locked onto Mako again. “Oh Mako, you dated both of them and now they’re dating each other.”

“Why don’t you shout it from the rooftops Wu,” Mako barked. “Yasmine, you want the whole, whole story? I dated Asami, but I left her to date Korra. Then Korra and I did nothing but fight and broke up. Right after, an incident happened where Korra lost her memories and forgot we had just broken up. During that time kinda I cheated on her with Asami. Then Korra and I broke up again. Everything eventually was fine between the three of us until the two of them came back from the Spirit World and were all of a sudden lovers!”

“So that’s when you realized you still loved Korra, once she moved on,” Yasmine said flatly.

“I realized it right before they ran off together. Not that it mattered, it was clear Korra didn’t have feelings for me anymore. Now I’m just waiting for the rest of the world to find out about them. A good portion of Republic City knows I dated both of them, so I thought I’d come hide in the Earth Kingdom until the public’s shock and curiosity about the whole affair wears off and I can slink back into my old life and pray no one remembers. There it is, pretty petty sounding huh?”

Mako looked at the three faces staring at him. He wanted to laugh, thinking about all the trouble they had just gone through to help him make a smooth break with Yasmine. “I may have feelings for Korra, but I don’t want to anymore. I’m trying, have been trying to move on, but I’m realizing it might be a little too soon to try to do that with someone else... I’m sorry Yasmine. I’m sorry for getting you wrapped up in my mess.”

“Our mess,” Opal said, stepping forward. She placed her hands on her heart and looked to Yasmine. “I encouraged Mako to try and get you to break up with him tonight. You know some very powerful information, and we are deadly afraid of what you will do with it. We were worried if Mako broke up with you, you’d use it against him.”

Yasmine snorted and crossed her arms. “Thanks for the vote of confidence. That thought never crossed my mind, but after this humiliating evening…”

“Please don’t punish them because of me,” Mako pleaded. “I was the only one that hurt you in all of this.”

“What is the price of your silence?” Wu asked in a tone more serious than Mako and Opal had ever heard from the prince. “The recognition for your efforts on the Kuvira mission?”

Yasmine eyed Wu, and then looked back to Mako. “So you’re breaking up with me?”

Mako nodded his head. “Yes, and I’m going back to Republic City.”

“What kind of recognition are you talking about, Wu?” Yasmine asked.

“There will be many diplomatic roles opening up as the states start to operate independently. The main function of the job will be to maintain relationships between Ba Sing Se and the rest of the independent states. I’ll even let you choose which states you work with. I personally will be overseeing this portion of the new government once I step down as prince.”

Yasmine eyed Mako as she thought. He was awkwardly shifting his weight back and forth. After the long pause she finally said, “Okay, it’s a deal.”

Opal let out the breath she didn’t realize she was holding. “Oh thank goodness.”

“I expect a written offer by the beginning of next week.”

“You’ll have it on your desk end of business day tomorrow,” Wu replied with a forced smile.

Yasmine gave the prince a small nod and then started to leave. Mako, Opal and Wu looked between each other and then to Yasmine’s back. They didn’t feel very assured by her sudden departure.

Yasmine was by the restaurant’s grounds’ gate when she stopped. For a moment it appeared she was wrestling with whether or not to turn around. Yasmine clenched her fists and sharply turned to look back at the trio. Silently they stared back.

“You know what I don’t understand, is why you’ve done all of this? It’s not even for the Avatar, it’s to protect Kuvira.”

The three exchanged looks, unsure of who should answer the question and how.

“Well…” Opal started.

“I just was following Avatar Korra’s orders…” Wu murmured.

“Yeah, Wu and I weren’t there for the planning, we just trusted everyone else's decision,” Mako added, looking over at Yasmine as he whispered to his friends. “What can we say to convince her?”

The two young men looked to Opal. She scowled but nodded her head. Opal took a few steps towards Yasmine.

“Those who were involved, including Avatar Korra, did it because we all feel that no one deserves the death penalty, regardless of the crime. We didn’t want to see the United Republic complicit in capital punishment. Was Kuvira a worthy candidate, if such a standard existed? Probably, but what would we be starting? Where would we go a as civilization from there? Kuvira didn’t even have a fair trial, it was rigged from the beginning. The death penalty wasn’t the will of the people, but of some anonymous Earth Kingdom statesmen, so hungry for revenge that they did everything in their power to ensure it would happen… And trust me, I understand their desire for vengeance. I think Kuvira has gotten off with less than she deserves. While she is walking free, my own brother, her ex fiance, is set to spend most of his adult life behind bars, because of her. I have to check my personal feelings and remind myself that this was still the right thing to do. At some point we just have to forgive, not so much for the one who hurt us, but for ourselves.”

Yasmine looked at the ground as she processed Opal’s words. She nodded a few times before looking back up. With a weak smile, she turned to leave.

Opal, Mako and Wu watched her go, waiting for her to turn around again, but she walked through the restaurant’s grounds’ gates and was gone.

“Sooo… Anyone else need a drink? I’m buying,” Wu announced.

“Yes!” Mako and Opal groaned in unison. The three then shuffled back into the Sighing Lotus for a few beverages.

***

It wasn’t a few minutes after sunrise when Korra and Asami were woken from their sleep to the sounds of Ikki banging on the door of the Avatar’s bedroom.

“Aaaaasami! Koooorra! Breakfast!” The young girl hollered, rapping at the paneling a few more times before scurrying down the hall.

The pair had both leaned up in bed, unsure if Ikki was going to burst in. They listened to her fading footsteps and once sure she was gone, flopped back down in unison.

“I don’t want to get up,” Korra groaned, rolling over on her side facing away from her girlfriend.

Asami moved to sit up in the bed, leaning her back against the wall. “You don’t want to keep your visitor waiting.”

The Avatar let out another groan and scrunched up her body, bringing her knees as close to her face as she could.

“So you going to loop me in on this guest of yours?” Asami asked.

“He’s a White Lotus counselor, I guess. I told Tenzin our plan about coming out publicly. He said he was going to tell the White Lotus my plan, and that they’d likely send someone to talk me through it.”

“Or out of it.”

“I wondered that...” Korra murmured, staring at the blank wall her bed was rested against. “I guess I won’t know until I hear him out.” She then let out a frustrated groan as pushed herself upright. The Avatar crawled on her hands and knees towards the foot of the small bed and then climbed off it. She then began grabbing at her clothing on the floor.

Asami remained seated and watched her girlfriend dress. Her eyes roamed over the quickly disappearing almonde flesh.

“Has anyone ever told you how sexy you are?”

Korra was about to pull her shirt over her head, but stopped at Asami’s admission. The fabric was partially covering her face, and she shyly peeked her eyes out from beneath it.

Asami smiled at Korra’s very red cheeks and slipped out of bed. She slowly walked towards Korra, who had pulled her shirt off her head, but still had her arms through the holes.

Asami’s soft hands ran up the Avatar’s exposed arms, and gently pulled the fabric down until it fell to the floor. With her arms now free, Korra wrapped them around Asami’s neck and pulled the taller girl closer.

“Korra! Asami! What’s taking you-” Ikki asked, sliding open the screen door without warning.

Asami and Korra froze and turned their gaze to the door. Ikki was standing with her hand still on the handle, her eyes bulging and her face crimson.

Jinora then appeared and grabbed at the collar of Ikki’s wingsuit.

“Ikki!” Jinora scolded as she jerked her younger sister away from the door and down the hall. “It’s called knocking!”

Ikki stumbled a bit from being pulled away and then regained her composure. Her face was still red from embarrassment.

Jinora pointed to the ground to make sure her sister would stay put, and then dashed back to the open door. She winced her eyes closed and bowed her head as she shouted, “I’m really sorry about my sister!” She then flung the screen closed.

“You don’t have to be such a jerk, it was an accident!” Ikki yelled, scrunching her face. She turned on her heels and stomped down the hall.

Jinora let out a sigh and rested her head on the closed door for a moment. A few moments later the door started to slide open, and Jinora backed away. Korra and Asami emerged, both fully dressed

Jinora rushed up to Korra. “I’m really sorry about that!”

Korra grinned awkwardly and scratched the back of her head. “Don’t worry about it, she was just a little over-eager.”

The three started to walk down the corridor towards the main dining hall.

“Still, Ikki should know better!” Jinora said in a huff.

“Don’t be so hard on your little sister,” Asami said as she placed a hand on Jinora's shoulder. “We’re the ones who should know better by now that no place is safe in the Air Temple, not even a bedroom.”

Jinora shook her head a few times from side to side and picked up her pace, bringing her a few steps ahead of the older girls. “You two don’t understand, you don’t have siblings. All responsibility always falls on the oldest. You're supposed to set a good example. It doesn’t matter if you do because your siblings won’t follow it and it’s still all your fault!”

Asami gave Korra a look, expecting her girlfriend to say something back to Jinora in Ikki’s defense, but the Avatar only reached out to take her hand. Asami rolled her eyes at Korra’s reluctance, but squeezed her hand back all the same.

***

After breakfast Korra walked Asami to her boat at the dock. They shared a few quick pecks before Asami boarded her craft and fired it up. Korra watched the boat skip across the bay towards the mainland. Once her girlfriend was out of sight Korra turned back towards the temple. Waiting at the top of the stairs was Tenzin and a young man she did not recognize.

The Avatar’s heart picked up a faster beat as she ascended the wooden stairs to meet them.

Korra greeted the two with a slight nod.

Tenzin nodded back and then gestured to the younger man at his side. “This is Zhou Rhen. As you know he is with the White Lotus and here as your counsel as you and Miss Sato go public with your relationship.”

“Hello,” Korra said awkwardly and then looked to Tenzin. “Is this really necessary? No offense, it just feels, I dunno, a little dramatic?”

Zhou Rhen put a hand to his chest. “Avatar Korra, my aid extends beyond this one event in your life. I’m here to introduce myself as an asset. Avatar Aang expressed a desire for outside counsel when he was a young man, so the White Lotus has trained me to be your counsel, if you so choose.”

“I know you’re weary of the White Lotus, but I think you should give him a chance.”

Korra gave Tenzin a slight nod. Tenzin smiled, satisfied, and gave the two a slight bow before he left.

“So... you want to talk now?” the Avatar asked, shifting her weight from side to side.

“If now is good for you, Avatar Korra.”

“Yeah, why not.”

“I’ve taken a shine to the wind panel training area, would you like to go there?”

“Sure.”

***

After breakfast Ikki had taken a quick bath, and was now marching down the temple halls looking for her friend.

“Asami?” Ikki asked, starting to slide open the door to Korra’s room. She quickly stopped herself from opening it further, and slid it back closed. The young airbender rapped her fist on the door and called out again.

Since there was no answer, Ikki felt safe opening the door to confirm the room was empty. As she suspected, the room was not occupied by Asami or Korra.

Ikki closed the door and headed to the dining room. Inside was her mother, cleaning up her brother Rohan, and Jinora at the other end of the table with a book in front of her.

“Did she leave already?”

“Did who leave?” Pema asked, keeping her attention on Rohan.

Ikki groaned and threw her back against the wall. “Asami!”

“Yes, I believe she left after breakfast.”

“She didn’t even say goodbye…” the young airbender moaned, letting her body slide down almost into a sitting position against the wall.

Pema shrugged at the comment and started to open up Rohan’s baby chair. She slipped her rag in between the bamboo seat and her toddler, brushing out the many crumbs. “Well Ikki I’m sure Asami didn’t mean anything by it. She probably had to get back to her company.”

Ikki let her body slide all the way down the wall, until her butt collided with the floor with a soft thud.

Pema turned around to look at her brooding daughter. “Why don’t you go join the morning training? You’ll never become an airbending master sulking in the dining room all day.”

“I hate the training groups! It’s so boring and there is no one my age,” Ikki whined, dramatically crossing her arms across her chest.

“Asami isn’t your age and you like spending time with her.”

Ikki turned away from her mother’s gaze. “That’s different! Asami understands me.”

“Ikki’s got a crush on her,” Jinora said aloud, joining the conversation.

“I do not!” her younger sister barked.

Jinora shrugged and turned her attention back to her book.

Ikki pulled herself up from the floor and marched towards the door on the opposite side of the room, purposely passing her by sister. “Why do you have to pick on me for everything!”

The door was flung open and then slammed shut, leaving Jinora and Pema alone.

Pemar slowly rose from her seat and started collected the dishes in front of her. “What has gotten into you girls? You both have been in such moods this week! I thought things would get better when Korra and Asami got back.”

Jinora looked away from her mother.

“I don’t know what’s going on with you, but you know better than to take it out on your sister.”

Jinora fought the urge to roll her eyes at her mother confirming her earlier defense about scolding Ikki. “I’m sorry mom, I’ll leave Ikki alone.”

“Thank you.”

Pema’s arms were full of dishes as she walked to the door; halfway through she stopped. “Do you really think she has a crush on Asami?”

Jinora looked up, a bit surprised. “I dunno, she follows her like a puppy. I was mostly just trying to pick on her.”

“Well, you shouldn’t tease her about it. You don’t want to give your sister a complex about such things or she won’t feel comfortable talking to us about crushes in the future.”

“Even if it’s a girl?”

Pema moved her body to face her daughter straight on. “I will love and support you children no matter who you fall in love with.”

Jinora smiled and looked down at her book. Pema smiled back and headed back towards the kitchen. Just before she left the room, she heard her daughter say, “Thanks Mom.”


To be continued...

Chapter 28: Zhou Rhen

Notes:

Thank you TheToasterMarketingBoard for editing!

Chapter Text

The dark sky was just starting to turn fuchsia as dawn began to break. The growing crack of the sun’s light illuminated Wu, Opal and Mako’s faces as they stood in front of the prince’s personal airship.

The trio were still quite bleary-eyed from their indulgences the previous evening. They stood for a few moments in silence, listening to the clacking sounds of Yan-Yan making a few tweaks outside the ship.

Opal, feeling a strange awkwardness in the air, took the initiative and extended her hand to Wu.

“Thank you again Wu, for everything you did for us a few weeks ago. You made the rescue mission possible.”

“Well, if you ever need a man on the inside again you know where to find me,” Wu replied with a weak smile.

“Yes, my mother does and I am sure she will be reaching out to you in the next couple of weeks once things settle down.”

“I look forward to hearing from her.”

“Take care,” Opal said as she gave the prince’s hand one more shake before letting go. She looked back at the airship. “I’m going to go see if Yan Yan needs any help.”

She waved to Wu and then slinked over to the airship. The two young men were left alone.

“Listen Wu… I…” Mako started.

“You don’t need to say anything, Mako. Your place is in Republic City, I knew you’d go back sooner or later.”

Mako looked down at his feet, pursing his lips and nodding slightly.

“Besides, if things get too awkward, you can always come back here for a little break.”

Mako smiled and offered his hand. “Thanks Wu.”

They shook hands, and then Mako walked to the airship. Wu wiped at his eyes and took a deep breath. The prince stayed to watch the ship close its hatches and its propellers spin into life. It wasn’t long before the aircraft was higher than the palace’s tower and sailing away from the sunrise.

***

Mako and Opal stood together by one of the large windows in the passenger deck of the airship. They watched as the ship flew over the inner, middle, and finally outer rings of Ba Sing Se.

“So no farewell kiss from Wu?” Opal asked with a smirk.

Mako let out a chuckle. “No, maybe I was just imagining things. I’ve been pretty paranoid lately. I’m looking forward to not being on either the receiving or giving end of suspicion.”

“You’re just headed into another kind of shit storm is all,” Opal said, before stretching her arms up over her head, causing her shoulders to pop. She lowered her arms and shook herself off.

“I’m sure I’ll get at least a few weeks or months before that comes out,” Mako replied, crossing his arms.

“I guess we’ll see.”

***

After leaving Air Temple Island, Asami headed straight to her company’s downtown office. The drive from the docks was quick, since there was little competing commuter traffic. She silently acknowledged it would likely be this way for a while; determined to enjoy it, Asami revved her engine and jetted down the street.

Asami was digging in her purse as she approached the main door of the building, and did not see Bolin until they collided.

“Asami! You’re back!” he exclaimed, grinning widely.

Asami adjusted her bag back over her shoulders and smiled back. “Bolin, what are you doing here?”

“I was actually just leaving a note with your receptionist, but I can just tell you. My family is moving back to the Earth Kingdom. Tu has been out there for a while, and just sent word it’s safe for them to go back.”

“That’s great, do they need any help?”

“Naw, we got it. I’m going back to the mansion to help them finish packing up,” Bolin said, waving her off. He paused as if he was finished speaking, then his face lit up again. “Oh yeah! How was your vacation?”

“It was good, cut short again, but I can’t really complain. Driving over here reminded me there is so much that needs to be done.”

Bolin looked around them, nodding. “There is. Maybe when it’s all said and done we could all go on a vacation together!” He looked back at his friend, his face starting to flush. “That reminds me, I was gonna ask if you had anything I could help out with again? I’m finding myself in a similar position I did a few years ago.”

“Of course!”

Bolin shifted on his feet. “I was also wondering if you had some kind of training program, or something, so I could be useful even after all the rubble is removed? I’d like to be employable not just after someone destroys the city.”

Asami smirked. “You want to get into construction work?”

“I think I’d be pretty good at it. Plus, I like the idea of doing something that doesn’t involve a lot of talking.”

“I mean this in the most loving way, but I don’t know if you’re capable of being quiet.”

Bolin scratched at the back of his head. “Yeah… I guess what I mean is, I’m not being hired to be the voice of anyone else but myself.”

Asami’s expression softened and she stepped closer to her friend. “I’m know you’ve been burned a few times by people taking advantage of your charm for their own agenda. Future Industries would love to hire you purely for your body.”

“I hope no one is overhearing this conversation, cos this sounds bad out of context,” Bolin said as he feigned looking around for observers. “Thank you Asami.”

“I’ll let you know as soon I have something for you to do. In the meantime, come over the Air Temple Island tonight if you have time? Korra and I will be there and we can properly catch up.”

“Great! I’ll see you there later.”

“Bye,” Asami said with a wave, before entering the corporate tower.

***

Kali rose from her desk chair as she saw Asami exit the elevator on her office’s floor.

“Miss Sato! Welcome back!”

“Thank you Kali, did I miss much?” Asami asked, walking past the young woman’s desk, and unlocking her office door.

Kali gathered up a few stacks of papers and folders and scampered into the office behind her. “A lot of paperwork has come in from President Raiko’s office and a young man just dropped off a letter for you.”

Kali started stacking the papers on Asami’s desk, separating them by folders and date while Asami opened the blinds of her many large windows.

“That was Bolin, he’s a dear friend. When you get a chance, can you look for an open position for him in the construction and demolitions departments for the city’s clean-up contract? He’s an earthbender.”

“Yes Miss Sato, I will call their office now.”

Asami gave Kali a nod, and the young woman bowed slightly before closing the door behind her.

Asami walked over to her desk, eyeing the many folders and stacks of letters her assistant had left. On top she noticed a small green envelope. She sat down in her desk chair and opened the letter. She couldn’t help but crack a smile; it was a thank you card from Grandma Yin and the rest of her very large family. The small card was covered in their signatures.

Asami propped the card up on the end of her desk and looked at the floral pattern printed on the front. She stared at it for a long time. This was a moment she was both looking forward to and dreading.

“What am I going to do with the mansion now?”

***

Zhou Rhen and Korra silently made their way over to the air gate training area. While Zhou Rhen took a seat on the steps, Korra kept walking over to the gates.  She placed a hand on one of the wooden panels and gave it a push, causing the gate to spin. It twirled a few times, but quickly lost momentum.

“I don’t miss training on these,” Korra said to herself, slapping the panel once again. She watched it die down, and then started smacking it over and over to make it go faster.

“Avatar Korra,” Zhou Rhen said, clearing his throat politely.

The Avatar stopped fanning the panel and blushed.

“Yes… sorry,” she murmured, shuffling away from the gates.

“I can tell you are apprehensive about talking to me, but I am here to help.”

Korra shifted on her feet, remaining a few steps above the one the young man was sitting on. “I guess I don’t really feel like I need any help right now. For the first time in a long time, things are going well, and I’m hopeful about the future.”

“With Miss Sato?”

“Yeah, with Asami, and my work as Avatar, everything really,” Korra replied, shrugging. She shoved her hands in her pockets and decided to pace along the space between where Zhou Rhen was sitting and the gates.

Zhou Rhen nodded and made a few pencil marks in his book. He then turned his head around to try and make eye contact with the fidgety Avatar. “May I ask, when did this relationship with Miss Sato start?”

Korra slowed her pace, facing away from Zhou Rhen when she answered. “I-I don’t really feel comfortable talking about that with you just yet...”

“I apologize for the bluntness, but you must be aware that if you choose to go forward with announcing your relationship with Miss Sato, many people will be asking you that very question.”

“It’s not really anyone else’s business,” Korra said, turning to look at Zhou Rhen.

“By going public, the world will feel entitled to make it at least somewhat theirs. Avatar Korra, the situation you are in is not entirely unique; a relationship between two prominent public figures will always spark the curiosity of the public, along with the rejoicing or concern of other world leaders.”

“Concern?” Korra asked, walking down the steps so she was standing on the same one as Zhou Rhen was sitting on.

Zhou Rhen pressed his middle finger on the rim of glasses, pushing them back up his face as he looked up at the Avatar. “Well, in this instance the relationship between the Avatar and a wealthy and prominent business owner would give some people pause over the possibility for conflicts of interest.”

“Asami would never use her relationship with me to her own advantage.”

“I’m not trying to make any insinuations; I am only trying to give you insight on the outside perspective of your situation. You are not the first Avatar to be romantically involved with another powerful figure of their time.”

Korra scowled and crossed her arms. “I’m sorry, I just want to make that clear. Asami has given back so much to Republic City and just the thought of people saying otherwise...”

“No need to apologize,” Zhou Rhen said quietly, as he made a few quick pencil marks in his notebook. “Now Avatar Korra, the potential difficulty of your situation is compounded by the fact that not only are you and Miss Sato public figures, but also both female.”

Korra rolled her eyes at the young man, and pivoted her body away from him. “I know, that’s why Asami has her public relations team working on the best way for us to announce our relationship, before it accidentally comes out.” The Avatar emphasized her point by uncrossing her arms and waving them about in the air.

Zhou Rhen cleared his throat before speaking. “You know, many public figures, including Avatars, have engaged in controversial relationships, but used their resources to keep their private lives, well, private.”

Korra’s eyes opened wide as she listened to the young man speak.

“There has never been an openly homosexual Avatar, and historically only a handful of open national leaders, so, we have no idea of how the public at large will react to your announcement. People may-”

Before Zhou Rhen could finish Korra clenched her fists and moved closer, so her body was looming over his. Startled, the young man had to stop speaking.

“You want to talk me out of doing it. That’s what this is all about, isn’t it?”

Zhou Rhen cowered, holding his hands up defensively. “No, no! I am merely helping you look at this situation from all angles. I want to be sure you know all of your options. Honestly, we were surprised Miss Sato wants to go public; between significant wealth, and a considerably private personal life, it wouldn’t be hard for you two to remain friends in the public eye. One of you would just need to be seen out entertaining a man every now and then.”

“All angles huh? I think you have an angle, and I do not like it.” Korra turned on her heel and marched towards to the temple. “Tenzin!”

Zhou Rhen tried to get up and follow Korra, but stumbled over his own robes, knocking himself back to the ground. His book and pencil flew out of his grasp “Avatar Korra! Wait!”

Korra did not stop, and was quickly out of Zhou Rhen’s sight.

***

Furious, Korra stormed into the temple. In the same hallway was a young male acolyte walking towards her. He looked up and saw a fuming Avatar coming towards him; he cowered against the wall, letting her pass.

Korra came to the dining room, and threw open the screen with a loud thud.

“Tenzin?”

Jinora was still inside reading and looked up at the sound of her father’s name. “Korra?”

“Where’s your dad? I need to talk to him,” the Avatar commanded impatiently.

“What’s wrong?” the young airbender asked.

“That Zhou Rhen guy, I don’t like him,” Korra said curtly, gesturing in the direction of the training gates.

“What’d he say?”

The Avatar paced a bit, considering continuing to look for Tenzin, but then she shut the door and moved to sit by Jinora at the other end of the room. Jinora closed her book as Korra sat down.

“He was trying to talk me out of going public with Asami about our relationship. I don’t want to talk to him anymore,” Korra grumbled, plopping her elbows on the table and then planting her face in her hands.

Jinora snorted and shook her head. “Called it…” she muttered under her breath.

After a few minutes of silence Korra let out a loud groan, pulling her face from her hands and then slapping them on the table. Jinora jumped back in her seat, startled.

“He even suggested ‘we should be seen entertaining men every once in a while.’ Like go out on fake dates! Which is stupid for so many reasons!” Korra barked, looking intensely at the young airbender. “The worse thing is, he made me question the decision, only for a second, but I did…”

“It’s okay Korra, you don’t have to talk to him. Zhou Rhen is here if you want him to be, and if you don’t you can send him away,” Jinora said, reaching out to the Avatar’s right hand and covering it with her own smaller one.

“Do you think the White Lotus sent him here to sway me out of doing it? Your dad was the one who called him here, do you think he was in on it too?”

“My dad? No, no… why would he care?”

Korra solemnly looked down at the wooden table. “I dunno, Tenzin said he had reservations about me doing it… but he also said he was happy for me…”

“If my dad didn’t want you to do it, he’d tell you himself. He wouldn’t go through all the trouble to send some White Lotus lackey.”

“You’re probably right…”

***

Zhou Rhen’s heart was beating so fast he thought it was burst right out of his chest. He was looking for Master Tenzin or the phone room. Whichever he came upon first, he decided, would be his next course of action.

The temple halls were empty. No one was around for him to ask for directions. He had been shown the phone by Pema, but he could not remember where it was located. All the temple looked the same, and he had not quite grasped navigating its halls on his own.

A door slid open, catching Zhou Rhen’s attention. Tenzin’s son Meelo sauntered out, a finger carelessly poking into his nostril.

“Oh, Meelo! Can you help me find the phone room?” the young man called out, trying to sound calm.

Meelo eyed Zhou Rhen suspiciously, and continued to dig around in his nasal cavity. “What’s in it for me?”

Zhou Rhen’s shoulders slumped. “I don’t really feel this is something I need to barter with you for.”

“You look pretty desperate,” the young airbender said, removing his finger from his nose, and flicking it against his thumb. “Who do you need to call?”

Zhou Rhen rolled his eyes and brushed past Meelo.

“You’re going the wrong way.”

Zhou Rhen turned to look back at Meelo, but he was gone. The White Lotus member pulled off his glasses and began to rub right above his eyes.

‘Remember these are civilians, their ways are different.’

After a few moments of collecting himself Zhou Rhen resumed his search for the phone room, and eventually found it. He quietly slid open the screen, and was relieved to find the room empty.

He closed the screen door and took a seat in the chair placed in front of the small desk holding the phone. He stared at the phone for a few minutes, trying to decide if he should call his superiors or not.

Zhou Rhen removed his glasses again and tossed them carelessly next to the phone.

“Oh Master, Avatar Korra is nothing like Avatar Aang…”

The young man clasped his hands together and propped his elbows on the table. He bowed his head against his fist and closed his eyes, like he was praying. In his mind he could hear Jinora’s scolding words.

“Korra is not a subject you study in school, she is a person! Good luck getting her to talk to you.”

Zhou Rhen lifted his head and looked at the phone in front of him. “Master Jinora is right. My superiors cannot help me, I must try and learn from her… If she’ll help me.”

***

Opal set the radio's microphone back into its cradle and watched through the airship’s window as they approached Zaofu’s gleaming towers, now ringed by the skeletal framework of the new domes under construction.. She could hear the excitement in her mother’s voice as soon as she announced herself over the radio. It hadn’t been that long since they had seen each other, but it seemed her mother was becoming more sentimental these days.

“Do you think I could get a meal somewhere while I am here?” Yan Yan asked, looking over at Opal.

“Of course, you’re welcome to stick around as long as you want before heading back to Ba Sing Se.”

“Oh, I can’t stay too long, I just need a little food and to stretch out my legs is all,” the old pilot said, rubbing at his stomach.

“I’m hungry too, I guess we all left without having breakfast, huh?” Opal murmured, more to herself than anyone in particular.

The airship touched down and Opal, Mako and Yan Yan were greeted by Suyin, flanked by Wing and Wei.

“Opal, I’m so glad you decided to stop by,” Suyin said as she wrapped her arms around her daughter.

“Might as well, since I’m out here,” Opal replied with a shrug.

“And Mako, good to see you,”

Mako smiled and shook Suyin’s hand.

“I thought you’d be coming with your partner, what was his name again?”

“Kai,” Opal replied.  “He went back to Republic City early. I met up with Mako who was doing some work for the Earth Kingdom. We’re hoping to head back tomorrow, can you provide us with an airship?”

Suyin nodded. “I’ll make the arrangements.”

She ushered Opal, Mako and Yan Yan away from the airship and towards the city. As they walked together, Suyin slipped her arm around one of her daughter’s and leaned in close.

“How is he doing?” Suyin asked quietly.

Opal blinked a few times and turned to her mother. “How’d you know something was up?”

“What do you mean something’s up? What happened, is Jr. okay?”

“Baatar Jr.? I thought you were talking about Mako.”

Mako glanced back at the sound of his name. He saw the angry look in Suyin’s eyes and quickly turned back around.

Suyin stopped walking, jerking Opal back. “Didn’t you go and see your brother while you were in Ba Sing Se?”

Opal hesitated. “No…”

Suyin let go of her daughter’s arm. “How could you not go visit your own brother! He’s all alone over there.”

“I’m sorry, I was there for one night, it slipped my mind. Besides, he hasn’t been in jail that long, you’re talking like he’s been locked up for years with no visitors.”

“I can’t believe you’re still holding such a grudge.”

“Ugh, Mom, I didn’t do it on purpose. And yes, maybe I have a bit of a grudge still, but just because Baatar Jr. is being punished for what he did, doesn’t make it all magically better. It’s not like turning off a switch.”

Opal eyed her disappointed mother and continued. “It’s hard! And don’t think I don’t love him anymore, it’s because I love him that it makes this all so difficult to process!”

Opal let out a long sigh and moved to embrace her mother. Suyin rested her head on her daughter’s shoulder. “I’m sorry mom. It will get better, but it’s going to take time.”

“I wish we could have kept him here… kept him close by so he wouldn’t be so isolated,” Suyin murmured into the red fabric of Opal’s airsuit.

“I know mom,” Opal whispered, rubbing her mother’s back. “Wu is still interested in working with you; you can tell him you’ll meet in Ba Sing Se, so you can get in a visit with Baatar Jr.”

Suyin nodded and the two women continued to hold onto each other.

***

It was late in the afternoon when Tenzin came upon Korra and his eldest daughter practicing some airbending stances in the courtyard. He had been busy most of the day, and was unable to check in with Korra about her conversation with Zhou Rhen until now.

Tenzin cleared his throat and the girls looked over at him.

“Hi Dad,” Jinora called out casually, not breaking her stance.

“Hello girls, mind if I interrupt your practice? I’d like to know how Korra’s chat with Zhou Rhen went this morning.”

Jinora followed through on her move and then relaxed her body. She looked to Korra, who was still waving her arms and body around in practice. The Avatar’s expression was cold and unreadable.

“I’m going to go see if Mom needs any help with dinner,” Jinora announced, making a swift exit.

“Korra…” Tenzin started gently, sensing hostility from her, even though her back was facing him. “Can we talk about Zhou Rhen?”

“There’s not much to say,” Korra said curtly, kicking at the air. “I don’t want to talk to him anymore, you can send him back.”

“I’m disappointed to hear that. May I ask why?”

“You know why…” Korra challenged.

“I wish I could say I did, but I don’t, Korra.”

The Avatar stopped her movements to look back at Tenzin. She scanned his face, and saw the gentle, aging face she knew so well. She could see he was sincere.

Tenzin slowly moved closer. “What did he say to you that upset you so much?”

Korra bowed her head and thought back to the conversation from the morning. She felt a need to be a little more level headed in her explanation to Tenzin. She wasn’t as physically upset anymore, but the encounter had still left a bad taste in her mouth.

“When we were talking I really got the feeling that he doesn’t want Asami and me to go public. Made me wonder if he was sent here purposefully to persuade me out of it. The White Lotus doesn’t want me to, do they?”

Tenzin fidgeted with his beard. “Mostly likely, they do not. But it wouldn’t be because of prejudice, but out of concern for your safety.”

“He said that most people in my and Asami’s and position use their power to keep relationships secret. It that what Aang did? I guess it was easier because he had a wife…”

“What do you mean?”

“I’ve been reading Aang’s journals and I haven’t gotten very far, but I’m assuming he had some relationships with men and kept them hidden…” As Korra spoke she watched Tenzin’s face grow pale and his eyes bulge. The Avatar took a step backwards. “Uh… did you not know this...?”

Tenzin blinked his bugged eyes a few times and stiffly looked around. Korra watched, unsure if she should say anything more. After a few moments of awkward silence Tenzin turned on his heel, his cape dramatically whooshing around him, and started walking towards the temple.

“I have to call mother…” he muttered under his breath.

Korra leaned in to barely catch what he uttered and watched him stiffly walk away, looking as if he really needed to relieve himself. She stood for a while, feeling her stomach start to clench in a nervous way.

“Shit,” the Avatar whispered to herself.

“Korra!” a familiar male voice called out.

The Avatar looked in the direction of the voice and saw Bolin and Asami walk towards her. She put on a smile and waved. Once they all met up, Asami gave Korra a quick peck on the cheek and Bolin gave her a tight hug.

“Alright ladies, I want to hear all about your vacation in the south! Were they ecstatic about you having a rich girlfriend Korra, or was it awkward with your parents?” Bolin asked, putting his arm around the two girls’ shoulders and walking them towards the temple.

“I think it went well enough, my mom’s getting there, but my dad is surprisingly really cool with it.”

Bolin turned to Asami. “And your report, Miss Sato?”

Korra looked over to her girlfriend, also curious about her thoughts. They never did get a chance to talk much about it that aspect of their trip, the Spirit World having dominated their post-vacation conversations.

“I would say the same as Korra. Senna seems like a very sensitive and caring woman, I think her reservations are just because she doesn’t understand. But I sense a desire to.”

“Hey, that’s not bad. Getting along with the in-laws is tough, whether you’re gay, or you worked for a dictator that imprisoned them. It just takes them time to get used to ya.”

Korra, Asami and Bolin eventually joined the airbender family, minus Tenzin, in the dining room. Zhou Rhen was also absent.

“Well look, the gang is back together,” Pema said with a smile.

Bolin beamed and straightened his back. “Yeah, we just need Mako back here and it will be like old times.”

“What about Opal?” Korra asked.

“Her too, then it will be like old, new times.”

“Well why don’t you kids sit down and grab something to eat,” Pema said, waving the three towards the table.

Asami walked over to Ikki and took a seat next to the younger girl. “Hi Ikki.”

“Hi Asami,” Ikki replied, rather unenthusiastically.

Bolin and Korra sat down next to Meelo. Korra caught Asami’s eye, having seen the tepid response from her girlfriend’s ‘sidekick.’ Asami shrugged.

Bowls of steaming soup were passed down to each of the new arrivals, followed by a basket of buns.

“So are you kids still planning on going to the Spirit World tomorrow?” Pema asked, looking down the table at Jinora.

Jinora looked to Korra. “I believe that’s still the plan.”

The Avatar struggled to swallow a large bite of steamed bun before answering. “Sure is.” She was about to take another bite but stopped and turned to Bolin. “You should come with us, we could use another bender around in case something happens.”

“Sure. What’s going on?”

“Time has been acting weird in the Spirit World, we’re going to go in and see what we can figure out,” Jinora replied.

“Alright, back to some Team Avatar Spirit World adventure action again! I haven’t been in there since Unavaatu. I’d like to see the prettier parts I keep on hearing about.”

“It is beautiful, you should take Opal sometime,” Asami added.

“No more vacations there until we can figure everything out,” Korra said, taking a big bite of her bun.

“You’re welcome to sleep here for the night Bolin, if you all are planning on getting an early start tomorrow,” Pema said across the table.

***

After dinner Korra, Asami, Jinora and Bolin brought their discussion about the Spirit World to the gazebo, to enjoy the cool evening air. Once the conversation started to become less about business and more about their own experiences during the Kuvira incident, Asami quietly slipped away.

She walked along the narrow beach of the island hoping to find Ikki, and her intuition was right. The young girl was sitting on a rock, tossing smaller stones into the water with soft thunks.

“Mind if I join you?” Asami asked in a gentle voice.

Ikki smiled. “Sure.”

Asami reach behind her thighs and pressed down the back of her skirt as she sat. “It’s nice seeing you smiling, I was worried something was wrong by the way you acted at dinner.”

Ikki sighed and tossed another pebble into the water. “I’m sorry, nothing’s wrong…”

Asami cocked her head. “Are you sure?”

Another pebble went thunk.

“I mean. You didn’t do anything, it’s my sister.”

Asami nodded. “I’m sorry she yelled at you this morning, that wasn’t necessary. Korra and I weren’t bothered by what you did; maybe just knock next time.”

“No, she was right, that was rude,” Ikki sighed, and then turned away from her older friend. “Jinora said I had a crush on you, right in front of my mom today.”

Asami blushed, and stiffened slightly in her seat.

“Don’t worry, it’s not true. It was just embarrassing, especially with my mom there.”

“So you were feeling self-conscious about me tonight?”Asami asked.

Ikki looked back at the older girl. “Yeah, sorry.”

“Don’t be sorry, I was just worried I had done something to upset you.”

The two sat for a while in silence. They both turned their gaze to the ocean. The calm waters lazily moved back and forth against the rocky beach. The sun had set, but there was still a splash of leftover color along the horizon.

“Will Jinora ever stop being mean to me?” Ikki asked after a while.

Asami let out a long sigh. “I don’t have any siblings… but it must get better. Look at your father; I’m sure he, Bumi and Kya all drove each other crazy when they were younger.

“They did.”

“And look how they get along now,” Asami said with an uncertain grin.

“They still seem to drive Dad nuts...but I know they all love each other.”

Asami reached out and placed a hand on the younger girl’s shoulder. “And I know Jinora loves you, even if doesn’t always feel like it.”

Ikki nodded.

“That being said, I know you want to get along better with your sister, so let me give you this advice. You can’t change other people, you can only change yourself. Does that make sense?”

“I think so,” the airbender said softly.

Asami smiled. “I won’t be able to spend time with you for few a days, but once I get back from the Spirit World, let’s do something fun.”

“Yes please.”


To be continued...

Chapter 29: The Spirit World

Notes:

Thank you ToasterMarketingBoard for being my Editor-in-chief!

Chapter Text

After morning broke in Republic City, Korra, Asami, Bolin and Jinora left Air Temple Island to stop at Asami’s office to pick up a few supplies for their expedition into the Spirit World.

The three benders silently stood in the seating area, where Asami’s assistant Kali’s desk was located, while they waited for Asami. Though her door was closed, they could still hear her rummage through her drawers.

“Going on a secret Avatar mission, huh?” Kali asked, breaking the silence, her eyes intently examining Korra.

The Avatar blushed slightly, feeling the young woman’s gaze, and turned to Bolin and Jinora, before uttering “Yeah…”

“I’m jealous, I bet it’s more fun and a lot less paperwork…” Kali sighed, leaning her chin into a hand.

“I have a feeling this trip will be an exception,” Asami announced, re-entering the room, a small duffel in hand. “Kali, may I borrow your watch?”

The young woman looked to her wrist, then back up to her boss. “Of course, may I ask what for?”

“We’re investigating how time operates in the Spirit World, there could be a possible discrepancy between our worlds. I need an additional watch to my own. Unfortunately the clock in my office is too big to fit in this duffel, and-” Asami motioned to Korra, Bolin and Jinora. “My companions are not watch-wearing types.”

Bolin grinned and gave a small wave.

“Korra and Jinora I can understand, but Bolin? Didn’t Kuvira require you to?”

Bolin shrugged. “I mean, I was issued a watch with the rest of my uniform, but not much of that outfit survived being stranded in the wilderness after Varrick and I deserted.”

Kali held out the watch, and Asami accepted it, then slipped it in her pants pocket.

“If President Raiko or his office calls, assure them what I am doing is important to the city, and that I’ll call them back tomorrow.”

Kali nodded and watched the small group exit the office.

***

As the four neared the spirit portal they began to see the small green and blue glowing spirits that hovered around the entrance. The city was quiet enough that they could even hear a faint hum coming from the portal.

The noise reminded Asami of the sound of an electrical current; it had surprised her the first time how you could actually hear and feel the energy radiating from it. She reached out and grabbed Korra’s hand, and gave it a squeeze. The Avatar shot her girlfriend a lopsided grin.

Bolin looked back and saw the girls’ joined hands. His eyebrows raised up like he was surprised, but then quickly relaxed.

“For a second there I-” Bolin let out a belly laugh. “I was going to ask why you two were holding hands.”

“You forgot we’re dating?” Korra moaned.

Asami smiled and shrugged. “I guess we haven’t all been together that much since it happened, huh?”

“No, we haven’t,” Bolin said, raising a first to the sky, and throwing up his pointer finger. “And today is the first day of rectifying that! Which reminds me, when Opal gets back, we should finally go on that double date!”

“Can we make it triple date?” Korra asked, releasing her girlfriend’s hand and motioning towards Jinora.

Bolin wasn’t paying attention and continued, “We’ll be waiting forever, if we want to include Mako.”

“I meant Jinora and Kai.”

“Oh!” Bolin uttered and looked over at the youngest member of their party. “Sorry Jinora, I was kinda thinking of going to an adult establishment. The ‘no minors’ kind.”

“What kind of ‘adult’ place are you talking about here Bolin?” Asami asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Just some place that serves alcohol,” Bolin said holding his hands up defensively.

Jinora shrugged. “I understand.”

Korra leaned over to the young airbender and whispered, “We can go on our own double date sometime.”

Jinora smiled weakly. “Yeah...”

Asami pulled the duffel off her shoulder and eased it to the ground. She then crouched down beside it, and started to unbuckle the bag. “In order to get an accurate reading on the time, we won’t all be able to go in at the same time. Bolin, you are going to stay out here with me."

Asami pulled out a notebook and pen, and then rose back up. She fished around in her pocket and pulled out Kali’s watch and handed it to Bolin. She then removed her own wrist watch, and passed that to him too.

“Bolin, please synchronize the watches.”

“Syncro-wha?” Bolin asked, cocking his head.

“Make sure they both read the same time,” Asami replied sternly.

“Why wouldn’t they be the same time?”

Asami lowered her pen and pad in exasperation. “Watches are individually operating machines, and time is theoretically relative, so everyone’s watches and clocks don’t just magically sync up on their own. Kali and I could have used a different clock to set our watches to, or one of us could have neglected to wind ours up.”

She took both watches back from Bolin, and carefully adjusted Kali’s to make sure it showed exactly the same time as her own.

“Wait, then can you ever be sure you have the right time?” Korra asked wide-eyed, looking around the group.

“That’s a discussion for another day, let me explain why it matters now. Korra, you and Jinora are going to take one of these watches inside the Spirit World with you. When you go in, both watches need to read the exact same time, so when you come out, we can accurately calculate how much time has passed in the Spirit World compared to ours,” Asami explained, pulling Korra’s arm towards her. She put Kali’s watch around the Avatar’s wrist and adjusted the strap. “Now, I want you to go in through the portal, and return after fifteen minutes.”

Korra and Jinora stepped up to the portal. Asami looked down at her own watch, which was resting on her notepad.

“Go in… now!”

The pair obeyed Asami’s orders and stepped into the portal, disappearing in the light.

Bolin shifted his weight. “So... what do we do?”

“We wait.”

“I feel misled about the nature of this ‘adventure,’ Bolin pouted, plopping his rear on a vine.

***

Korra and Jinora passed through the portal and into the neon-colored field of flowers Korra was becoming quite familiar with.

“It’s so beautiful here,” Jinora sighed, holding her hands to her chest.

“It sure is.”

Jinora took a few steps away from the portal, and looked around their area. “So what are we going to do if there really is something going on in here?”

Korra scratched at the back of her head. “Well, short term solution, restrict access.”

“I wonder…” Jinora kneeled down and touched one of the fuchsia tufted flowers. Its feathery petals stiffened, and then the head of the flower began to fold in, tucking the downy petals inside. “If we should do that no matter what we find out today. Spirits and humans living together in our world has been difficult enough, but humans coming in here? I don’t think we’re respectful enough. Access to the Spirit World was, is, a privilege. You had to be spiritually attuned to be able to meditate inside, and your spirit could do little harm. But now there is a physical door where anyone can come in, and look, and take… It’s like I can see it all playing out; humans coming in here, seeing these beautiful flowers, taking them, and other things back a souvenirs. Before we know it, this spot will be barren…”

Korra looked around them, and imagined the people of Republic City walking through the field, pointing to the sky, gawking at the wonders around them.

“People are going to be curious…” the Avatar muttered. Then she heard Zhou Rhen’s voice in her heard.

“The world will feel entitled to make it at least somewhat theirs.”

“And entitled to this, because it’s in Republic City.”

“We should do it right away then, before all the citizens come back, before it’s ever ‘taken away’ from people.”

“You think it would be an easier sell if they never had access to it in the first place?”

Jinora nodded.

“Well, I know Asami will agree, she was planning on pitching something along those lines to President Raiko anyways… Oh!” Korra brought the watch up to her line of sight. She looked at the watch and time had passed. “You remember what time we came in?”

“Oh Korra… you forgot?”

The Avatar blushed. “Well, I’m sure enough time has passed.”

“I don’t think that’s how this test is supposed to work, but I’m sure Asami wrote down when we came in,” Jinora said with a reassuring smile.

“C’mon let’s go.”

***

Not long after Korra and Jinora had left, Asami took a seat on a vine across from the one Bolin was sitting on. They sat for a few minutes in silence. Asami kept her gaze on her notebook, making a few marks every now and then.

“So Asami, I wanted to ask your opinion on something…” Bolin started.

Asami glanced up from her notepad. “Sure.”

“Well, after Varrick’s wedding I got to thinking, maybe it was time I asked Opal to marry me.”

“I don’t think it really matters what I think, but of course you’d have my blessing. Do you feel you are ready?”

“I think so. I kinda wanted to talk to you, because we’re in a similar situation. I know a lot of people model their ideas about marriage and family life after their parents, but we don’t have that. So I kinda wanted to hear what you thought about marriage, and stuff…”

“Well I certainly wouldn’t get any more ideas about the subject from Varrick.” Asami snorted. “He did get married in the most ‘Varrick’ of ways; proposing to a woman who he only just recently allowed to be his equal, before the possible demise of the entire city, then throwing a ceremony together two weeks later… Though that night has special significance to me too…”

Bolin stretched his arms out over his head. “I can’t believe you two just snuck off into the night like that. I gotta say, it really left people scratching their heads. Except Bumi, he called what you two were up to the next morning when we were all debating on why you guys left. I wish you coulda seen all the eyes popping when he voiced his opinion.”

“So that’s why everyone was so relaxed about it when we got back, you’d already had a few weeks to process it.” Asami put down her note book. “How long have you and Opal been together now, four years?”

“Yeah, well officially dating maybe more like three and a half. I asked her to be my girlfriend after we stopped Zaheer and she moved to Air Temple Island.”

“I think that is enough time to get to really know someone well enough to want to marry them. I’m sure you’d like Opal to be able to move out of the women’s dorms from the Air Temple and get a place together. I don’t think Suyin or Tenzin would feel comfortable about that unless you married her.”

Bolin blushed. “Yeah, she told me it’s always a little awkward for her when she creeps back to her dorm at the crack of dawn.”

“I wonder if Korra feels that way when she goes back…”

“I doubt it. You think anyone over there would feel comfortable chastising the Avatar about where she’s been? Plus you’re both girls, there’s not much to be concerned about.”

“What do you mean? Korra and I are causing serious trouble when we’re together,” Asami replied, crossing her arms across her chest.

Bolin chuckled, and pointed to his friend. “I know that’s a lie, and it’s not a dig against you two, it’s the whole baby issue.”

“Ah, yes, I guess that would be hard physical evidence of what is going on between you.” Asami waved Bolin off. “Tck, but we live in a different time, if you two accidently got pregnant, you wouldn’t be shamed.”

Bolin sat up and puffed his chest. “I want to make an honest woman out of Opal.”

“I think it’s the other way around… So you want to start a family?”

“Yeah, I think I’d be a good dad. There are all these things I never got to do with my dad, and well, I’d like to be able to at least do them as a dad.”

Asami smiled. “That’s how I feel.”

Bolin’s stance turned into a slouch. “I’m scared though too, about the hard stuff. It’s not like I fantasized about my parents making sure they’d pay their bills or disciplining me. I only know what I’d do in the fun situations.”

“Hey, if you’re ever in a pinch, you could show your kids how to survive.”

“That’s true, I know how to make the most out of a back alley, a few boxes and some dinner scraps.”

“I retract my earlier statement, please come to me first if you need money.”

Bolin slapped his hands together and bowed his head. “My future children thank you.”

The hum of the portal beside them picked up, and the outlines of two figures appeared in the yellow and green glowing tube. Bolin and Asami jumped up and watched Korra and Jinora return to their world.

Asami glanced down at her watch and then back the new arrivals “You’re… early?” she mumbled, reaching out and grabbing Korra’s wrist, to look at Kali’s watch. She read the face, and it matched her own.

“There’s no difference.”

“Maybe we weren’t in there long enough?” Jinora asked. “Korra forgot when we went in.”

Korra blushed and grinned at her girlfriend.

“You were in there for ten minutes, but… I doubt there is a minimum amount of time before it fluctuates. We’ll have to test it again.”

“Maybe it’s too early,” Bolin suggested, covering his mouth as a yawn broke.

Asami rolled her eyes at the suggestion and held her hand out to Korra. “Can I have the watch?”

Korra fiddled with the leather strap for a few moments before being able to pass back the watch. Asami held both watches close to her face, eyeing the second hand of each one. She fidgeted with the dials until she was satisfied they were synced. She then passed her own watch to Korra, and kept Kali’s.

“Stay in for thirty minutes this time. That means come back at eight o’clock.”

“Got it,” Korra replied, and gave a small wave. “We’ll be back!”

Jinora and Korra once again disappeared into the spirit portal.

“Do you think I have time to go get us some breakfast or something?” Bolin asked, scratching at his belly.

Asami rolled her eyes. “Be quick about it.”

Bolin perked up and started down the mound of vines. “I will, I think there’s a bakery nearby, undamaged, maybe they’ll be open!”

***

Korra and Jinora re-entered the Spirit World to find it exactly as they left it.

“I guess we should be more mindful this time around,” Korra murmured, surveying the area. “Of what, I’m still not sure.”

“You didn’t notice anything was off when you were here on your vacation, right?”

“Yeah, it wasn’t until you dropped in on us that the difference was brought to our attention. I don’t think we were so distracted that we wouldn’t have noticed a time shift… I wonder… I didn’t tell you what sparked this investigation, did I?”

Jinora shook her head.

“So while Asami and I were in the south, we took my parents to visit the southern spirit portal. We ran into Varrick and Zhu Li, who were honeymooning in there. They had been keeping track of time, but when we told them what day it was, their calculations were off.”

“So just like when you and Asami were in here?”

“Yes, I wonder, if it’s related to who you come in here with? Because we’re not a couple, that’s not why it’s working?”

“You’re suggesting romantic love is slowing down time in the Spirit World?”

“No, wait.” Korra grabbed her chin. “Actually, that doesn’t make sense, cos for Varrick and Zhu Li time was going faster…”

“Maybe it depends on how healthy the relationship is?” Jinora said with a smirk.

“What we really should be doing is asking the spirits who live in here if they’ve noticed anything strange. Prolly should wait to do that as a group though.”

“How much time has passed?”

Korra glanced at the watch on her wrist and let out a long sigh. “We’ve only been here five minutes…”

***

Bolin jogged towards the massive vine-filled crater with a dough stick in his mouth and a colorful box clutched to his chest. Once he reached the edge of the crater, he slowed his pace to awkwardly navigate his footing between the massive vines. He could make out Asami sitting alone, reassuring him that he didn’t take too long.

As he got closer, the portal grew brighter and Korra and Jinora emerged. He saw Asami pointing him out to them.

“I got breakfast!” he called out, holding the box above his head for the girls to see.

When Bolin reached the group, he flipped open the lid and revealed his box of freshly prepared dough sticks. “Dig in!”

“I guess the city is on its way to recovery if you can buy dough sticks again,” Asami said, slipping her hand into the box.

“So, what were the results?” Bolin asked.

Asami let out a sigh. “No difference, again,”

“Korra suggested we all go in as a group to talk to the spirits, see if they have noticed anything,” Jinora said between bites.

Bolin perked up. “Yes, I like that plan!”

“Okay, we can do that. Korra, can I have the watch again?” Asami asked.

Once Asami got the watch, she synced them to the second hand again, and then put her watch around the handle of her duffel and Kali’s around her own wrist.

“I’ll leave this duffel here, and hope no-one messes with it. Then I can reference the time when we get back.”

“Here,” Korra said, gesturing for the bag. Asami passed it over and Korra tucked it in a small alcove created by the vines.

“Put the extra dough sticks there too,” Bolin said, handing the box to Korra.

“Yes, we gotta protect what’s really important,” the Avatar said with a wink.

The group all rose from their seats, brushing the crumbs from their clothing.

“Alright, let’s go,” Asami said, looking at her watch.

The four entered the spirit portal and left their world behind.

***

“Alright, let’s go find some spirits to talk to!” Bolin called out as he started to march away from the portal.

“Is this the best way?” Asami quietly asked Korra as they trailed behind Bolin.

The Avatar shrugged. “I don’t know what else we’d do but walk around and see what we find. You remember when we were in here, the spirits kinda come and go as the please.”

“I could see if I can contact my spirit friend,” Jinora offered. “She doesn’t speak, but she could maybe rally up others.”

Jinora stopped walking and closed her eyes, concentrating on the image of the kangaroo-rat-like flying spirit in her mind’s eye.

Korra and Asami continued walking.

“I feel like we hardly saw any spirits on our vacation,” Asami said.

“Yeah, they kinda kept their distance, must’ve not liked you,” Korra said, nudging Asami.

“You think it was me?”

Korra grinned and shrugged. “Well it wasn’t me, I’m the Avatar, they’re obligated to love me!”

“Oh are they?” Asami asked, flipping her hair. “Maybe we can get the ones in Republic City to start participating in the polling, bring your numbers up.”

“Don’t tell that to Raiko, he’ll want to start taxing them too.”

“Oh, here comes a spirit!” Bolin called out from the lead.

The girls looked up at the small spirit whirling towards them.

“That’s her!” Jinora exclaimed, pointing to the sky.

The small spirit happily trilled as is lowered itself onto Jinora’s outstretched hand.

“We need your help, can you bring us to some spirits who can talk?”

The spirit bowed its little head and took off. The four broke into a jog to keep up with it.

They followed Jinora’s spirit friend beyond the psychedelic flower field, and into a forest. The trees were similar to the stocky barren ones in the field, but were still alive with lush full branches of turquoise leaves. The trees slowed the spirit down, and the group was able to go back to walking. They watched as the little spirit darted around the trees, looking in holes and crevices for other spirits.

“Looks like no one’s home…” Bolin muttered to himself. He cupped his hands around his mouth and shouted “Hello! Any spirits in here?”

Korra rolled her eyes, but didn’t bother to stop him.

The little spirit dashed out of sight, but the crew continued on the narrow trail through the trees.

“Here spirits!” Bolin continued, making little smacking sounds with his lips after calling out.

They all heard a rustling, and turned around. The little rodent-like spirit burst through a branch and chirped. It hovered in the air, bobbing its body towards the direction it came from.

“I think she wants us to follow her off the path,” Jinora said, pointing into the thick dark woods.

Korra sighed, looking at the woods ahead of them. “Lead the way.”

At Korra’s word, the spirit threw itself back into the brush, and the four followed. The forest was much thicker off the trail, and they took turns holding branches back for each other as they slowly trudged through. A faint orange and reddish glow could be seen up ahead.

“I hope that light is what you’re bringing us towards, and not some kind of surprise, little guy,” Korra warned.

The spirit squeaked and flew a little faster ahead. When the group caught up, they found themselves in a small clearing, with three glowing mushroom spirits, about up to Jinora’s waist. Two had big orange tops, and the one in the middle had a smaller and pointier red one. They all immediately locked on Korra.

“It’s the Avatar!”

“The Avatar!”

“What’s the Avatar doing in a place like this?”

The three mushrooms spoke amongst themselves.

Korra put a hand to her mouth and coughed, “Ahem.” She took a step forward, putting her hands on her hips in an attempt to look more authoritative. “Hello, yes I am the Avatar,” Korra started, her voice cracking.

Bolin leaned over to Asami. “She really needs to work on her Avatar voice.”

Korra continued, “I am wondering if you spirits have noticed anything strange going on inside the Spirit World?”

The three spirit mushrooms turned to each other then back to Korra.

“Strange?”

“Nothing Strange here.”

“Who are those strangers with you?”

Korra quickly glanced behind her. “They are my friends, they are here to help.”

“Help?”

“We don’t need any help.”

“All set, thank you.”

The Avatar rolled her eyes at the spirits’ chatter.

Jinora stepped up next to Korra, and bent down closer to the mushroom’s eye level. “We have noticed that time has been running differently here in the Spirit World, compared to our own. Have you noticed this?”

“Time?”

“What’s time?”

“Whose world?”

“You don’t know what time is?” Jinora asked.

“Maybe they don’t leave this forest? Heck if I’d know what time it was, the woods are so thick, it must always be dark,” Bolin muttered, looking up into the tangle of branches.

“Why would we leave?”

“This is our home.”

“You should go back to your own home if you don’t like it here.”

“Alright I’m done,” Korra said, turning on her heel, back towards the direction they had come from. “These three are driving me nuts.”

Jinora looked to her spirit friend. “Maybe you could find us some spirits that move around a little more, ones that live in the fields or something?”

“Before you do that, I’m gonna bring us out of here, everyone stand still,” Korra commanded, closing her eyes. The dark woods began to blur and the group was brought to a field of tall flowers.

Korra took a few steps away from the group and surveyed the area. She grabbed her chin and muttered to herself. “Where could we find some spirits… maybe we need to go back to the Tree of Time… though it was empty when we were there the other day…”

“Hey, isn’t this where I found you guys during your vacation?” Jinora said, looking around.

Korra glanced back at the group. “Hard to forget where you fell on top of us.”

“What happened here?” Bolin asked, looking between the three girls.

Asami held her hands to her chest, her cheeks reddened. “This is where Korra professed her feelings to me.”

“It was so cute, she was so nervous!” Jinora added.

Korra’s face turned as red as Jinora’s wingsuit. “Don’t tell him that!”

Bolin looked to Jinora. “You were there?”

“She was eavesdropping!” Korra barked, marching closer to the group.

“Aww Korra,” Bolin cooed, batting his eyes. “What did you say to Asami? Was it a grand gesture?”

Asami put her hands on her girlfriend’s shoulders, and gave them a squeeze. “That’s enough teasing. That was a special and private moment between Korra and I... and to a lesser extent, Jinora, and that is all we need to say about it.”

“I’m sorry Korra, I didn’t mean to pry.”

“It’s fine. I gotta get used to people asking about it,” Korra said, kicking at the ground.

Jinora touched Korra’s arm. “Hey, something is coming towards us.”

The group all turned to look in the same direction as Jinora, and they saw the silhouette of a figure slowly walking towards them.

“That doesn’t look like a spirit…” Asami murmured.

As the figure got nearer, Korra’s face brightened and she threw up a hand and waved. “It’s Iroh!”

The other three could see now that it was an elderly man heading towards them. His hands were clasped behind his back as he slowly walked. Korra broke from the group to meet up with him.

Korra gave a slight bow when she was face to face with her old friend. “Iroh, I’m so glad you’re here,”

Iroh smiled, and his old eyes crinkled at the corners. “I thought it was you I had sensed over here.”

“Come meet my friends,” Korra said, ushering Iroh over to the rest of the group. “Guys, this is Iroh, he’s Fire Lord Zuko’s uncle, he lives here.”

Bolin threw out his hand to Iroh. “Nice to meet you, I’m a big fan of your nephew. So, do have like a home here, and just go into town for supplies once a month? Hows that work?”

Iroh took Bolin’s hand with one of his own, and covered their joined hands with his other. “I have passed over my son, I cannot leave this world.”

“Oh, so-” Bolin’s face grew pale. “You’re a ghost!”

Bolin widthdrew his hand and scrunched both of them up to his chest.

“Calm down Bolin,” Korra scolded. “He’s not a ghost, he’s a spirit.”

“I thought those things were different, but now I have doubts,” Bolin said in a panic to himself.

Asami brushed past Bolin, and next offered her hand to Iroh. “It’s nice to finally meet you, I’ve heard so much about you from Korra.”

“We were here a few weeks ago, and we were looking for you, but couldn’t find you,” Korra added.

Iroh shook Asami’s hand a few times and smiled. “I could sense you here looking for me Korra, but I picked up on an even stronger desire to not find me.”

Asami blushed as the old man looked at her with knowing eyes. Korra looked between the two, catching some kind of exchange.

“You didn’t want to find Iroh?” Korra asked, her expression pained.

“I didn’t not, not want to find him…” Asami started, noticing everyone was looking at her. “I just really wanted to be alone with you, Korra. That vacation was the first time we had had time just the two of us in three years… I’m sorry.”

“That explains why we hardly saw any spirits,” Korra murmured. She then reached out and took her girlfriend’s hand. “I’m sorry too. I was just so excited to have someone else meet him, that I never really asked if you even wanted to.”

Asami smiled at Korra and gave her hand a squeeze.

“Things always find a way of working out, exactly when they should,” Iroh offered before turning to the youngest member of the group. “And you must be Jinora.”

Jinora smiled and shook the old man’s hand. “I am, pleased to meet you.”

“Korra was having quite the fit over finding you, last time we met. Good to see you are safe and sound.”

“Iroh, that reminds me, the reason we are all here, is because we think something might be going on in the Spirit World again,” Korra said, touching Iroh’s shoulder    to get his attention. “Have you noticed anything strange happening in here?”

Iroh closed his eyes and thought a moment. “The Spirit World has been buzzing with energy since you opened that new portal, but that has been a good thing. The spirits are excited by the new portal, they like the increasing connection to the physical world. Not a lot changes in here you see, so a new spirit portal is quite the event.”

Bolin looked around. “Doesn’t really seem like spirits are throwing a rager over it…”

“Do you think this new portal would affect time, between the physical world and Spirit World? That all that energy jump-started the Spirit World and it started running out-of-sync?” Asami asked.

Iroh’s calm expression turned to a confused one.

“Jump-start?”

Korra tugged at Asami’s sleeve and whispered. “I think he died before electricity.”

Asami blushed. She tucked her hair behind her ear, as she leaned a little closer to the short old man. “I guess what I’m trying to ask, is do you think the Spirit World’s time running differently than our own, could be related to the new spirit portal?”

“Have you noticed time running differently?” Jinora added.

Iroh slowly shook his head. “Time… time just is.”

Korra, Asami, Jinora and Bolin all exchanged bewildered looks.

“Time doesn't really matter in here, does it?” the Avatar asked.

“Not the way it does for humans. We look to your world, and see change, a new Avatar rises and then falls. The cycle carries on and on as it has for thousands of years.” Iroh stared off has he spoke, looking past the youths. After he finished he hummed to himself.

“Well, if you notice anything, will you let us know? We will be back again soon. Take care, Iroh.”

The old man smiled and bowed. “You kids take care as well.”

Korra closed her eyes and began to move the group, not bothering to warn them. The distorted Spirit World flashed by and the four quickly found themselves in front of the spirit portal.

“Let’s head back, I think that was enough for today,” Korra sighed. Asami put a hand on her shoulder and gave it a squeeze.

“You alright?”

“Iroh was a lot sharper last time we spoke. Today, he just seemed detached.”

“Maybe his ghost is fading, he no longer has unfinished business,” Bolin said, butting in.

Korra rolled her eyes, exasperated. “He’s not a ghost.”

“It is curious how he can exist there, I wonder how many other human spirits live in the Spirit World…?” Jinora said, more to herself as they reached the portal.

One by one they entered the portal. Asami was the last to pass through; before she did, she quickly glanced at Kali’s watch to check the time. Once on the other side she rushed over to where Korra had stashed her bag.

Bolin, Jinora and Korra stood around, looking at their surroundings.

“How long were we in there anyways?” Bolin asked squinting as he looked to the sun, which was low in the eastern sky.

Asami slowed joined them, both watches were in her hands. “You want Spirit World time or Republic City time?”

Korra flinched and moved to look at the watches in her girlfriend’s hands. “It happened?”

“We were in the Spirit world for over three hours,” Asami announced flatly.

“And in Republic City?” Jinora asked.

“We were gone five minutes.”

Bolin looked around the group nervously. “So… What does that mean?”

Asami moved back towards her bag and slung it over her shoulders. “I need to go to my office and do some math.”

“Pass, Korra and Jinora?” Bolin asked.

Korra shrugged. “Go back to the temple, re-group?”

Bolin pursed his lips as he thought, then shrugged himself. “Okay, I’ll join you.”

The group started to walk away from the portal.

“Well, I did learn something today,” Bolin announced.“Oh yeah?” Asami asked in a sarcastic tone.

“Mhmm. I learned I understand absolutely nothing about time.”


To be continued...

Chapter 30: Miss Sato

Notes:

Thank you TheToasterMarketingBoard for editing this chapter.

Thank you all for you're patience on this next chapter!

Chapter Text

The sun started to set, casting long shadows off the furniture of Asami’s office.  She had spent the day logging everything she could come up with about her experiences in the Spirit World, along with the findings from the morning.

Asami pushed a few wisps of hair that fell from her ponytail out of her face and sighed. She leaned back in her chair, highlighting to herself just how hunched over the desk she had been. She raised her hands over her head, stretching out her back, and turned her head from side to side a few times.

Asami stopped her stretching when she heard a knock at the office door, and called out,  “Come in.”

Kali peered through the opening of the door. “I finally heard back from President Raiko’s office, he can meet with you tomorrow morning, around ten; should I confirm?”

“Yes please,” Asami replied, turning back to look at her notes.

The secretary gave a slight bow and closed the door.

“I guess there really isn’t any more I can do tonight,” Asami muttered to herself, sweeping her hands across her desk, gathering up all of her papers. She picked them up and tapped the stack a few times on the table to even out the papers, then tucked them in her briefcase.

Asami was about ready to leave, and she glanced down at her watch to check the time. Her wrist was bare. She quickly looked around the room, trying to recall when and where she had taken her watch off again. The setting sun came out from behind a cloud, and the face of the watch started to gleam. She rushed over to grab it off her desk, and noticed again the card from Grandma Yin and family.

Asami was startled by the tightening sensation in her stomach. The mansion, it was empty. How long had it been since she was there? The last time she could recall was when she, Korra and Mako dumped Prince Wu off there. It had been hard enough being there while her father was in jail, but now it felt like more of a shrine to her parents than ever.

Asami grabbed her watch and hastily walked out of her office.

“Kali, Bolin didn’t happen to drop off keys to the mansion when he came by the office yesterday?”

Kali looked up from her desk, her brow furrowed as she thought. She then nodded and leaned down to dig in one of her drawers.

“Yes, I stuck it in an envelope around here somewhere,” Kali replied, her voice muffled by the rummaging. The young woman pulled herself back up and passed the small envelope to Asami.

“You’ve saved me a trip to my apartment, thank you,” Asami said, tucking the envelope in her pocket. She then looked back at Kali, noticing the bags forming under the young woman’s eyes. “Why don’t you head out too, you’ve been working late too often these days.”

“Thank you, Miss Sato.”

“Have a good evening…” Asami said as she left.

***

It was night by the time Asami made the drive to her family’s mansion. The building was dark except for the faint light in her house keeper Hong’s quarters. 

A small smile tugged on Asami’s lips, as she wondered how relieved the older man must be now that Grandma Yin and company were no longer under foot. She decided to walk around to Hong’s private entrance to make her presence known. She lightly rapped on the door and it wasn’t long before he answered.

“Miss Sato,” Hong said, with a slight bow.

“Good evening Hong, mind if I come in?”

Hong sidestepped to make room in the doorway. “Not at all madam.”

Hong ushered her over to a small seating area, then he walked over to a side table and switched off the evening news coming from the radio.

“What’s the public’s opinion like these days?” Asami asked, taking a seat. She watched Hong move into his kitchen and put a kettle on the stove.

“Regarding the state of the city? Not very good I must say. Reports of the damage have made it to all the camps in the outer limits now that Shiro Shinobi is back on the air. Many had taken initiative to come back on their own to assess the damages, rather than wait for a formal invitation to return.”

“I was afraid that was going to happen, not that you can blame them; I’d be anxious to see if my home was still standing or not,” Asami sighed, leaning back into her chair a bit.

Hong rejoined Asami and took a seat across from her. “I was surprised that Earth Kingdom family was so eager to leave their cushy accommodations here, for Ba Sing Se’s lower ring.”

“There’s no place like home…” Asami offered weakly, shrugging.

Hong nodded. “Do you plan on returning home?”

Asami looked down at her hands, which were resting on her lap. She rubbed her right thumb over the left. “No, not at this time. I’m still not ready.”

The kettle began to hiss with steam, and Hong hoisted himself out of his seat. He pulled the kettle from the flames, stopping its cries. He returned shortly after with a small serving tray holding a teapot and two porcelain cups on saucers.

“I heard about your father,” Hong started, as he began pouring the steaming green liquid into her cup. “I’m sorry…”

At the mention of her father, Asami felt a swell of emotions rise up into her throat. She cupped a hand over her mouth to silence a sob.

“I worked for him for twelve years… He made a serious mistake, but I know deep down he was a decent man.”

Asami could only nod at Hong’s words, wiping at the tears as they fell across her cheeks.

Hong got up and pulled a tissue from a box next to his radio. He held it out for Asami, and she slowly accepted it.

“Thank you… I…” Asami murmured, drying her eyes with the tissue. “I haven’t really had any time to process it. So much has been going on and... my friends didn’t know the man I did, we did… before he lost himself…”

Hong reached for the whole box of tissues, and put it on the table between them. Asami smiled faintly as she reached for another tissue. 

“What is the news saying about him?” Asami asked.

Hong was about to sip from his cup, but paused to answer. “That Mr. Sato was enlisted by the Republic City officials to help the defense team modify our weapons during the attack. His death helped make possible the destruction of Kuvira’s colossus weapon.”

“I’m impressed they know that much…”

“Police Chief Beifong made the statement earlier this week,” Hong replied as he sipped at his cup.

Asami sniffed a few times, crumpling the tissues in her hand, before shoving them in her pants pocket. “That was kind of Lin. I doubt anyone would have noticed he hadn’t survived if she hadn’t said anything.”

The two sat in silence for a while. Asami debated sharing more with Wong, but came to the conclusion anything else would be inappropriate given the nature of their relationship.

Asami took a deep breath and sat up in her seat. “I am not sure what I am going to do with the house, but in the meantime will you continue to look after it?”

“Of course Miss Sato.”

“I have to be going, thank you for the tea and… for listening,” Asami said, rising from her chair.

Hong nodded and smiled. “Anytime Miss Sato.”

***

After leaving her family home, Asami made the drive to the docks, and from there a quick boat ride to Air Temple Island. When she arrived, Korra, Bolin and the airbender family were just sitting down to dinner.

Korra grinned and waved Asami over to the empty space beside her. “I was just about ready to get up and fly over to your office!”

Asami smirked as she moved towards her girlfriend. “I think the chopsticks in your hand say otherwise.”

“Right after a few quick bites, I’d have been marching right outta that door,” Korra muttered as she chewed through her rice.

Jinora, who was sitting directly across from the pair, leaned in. “So what were you able to find out from your calculations?”

“Still not much, in order to get conclusive data we will need to commit multiple series of tests. Different durations inside, different times of days, different people, different watches.”

“So what we did today, but over and over again?” Jinora asked.

Asami nodded. “I have a meeting with Raiko tomorrow at ten, I am going to request he allow us to block off the spirit portal until further notice. I will have my company provide the fencing and security needed, if he won’t. Korra, Jinora and Bolin, will you go into the Spirit World tomorrow and see if you can find any stragglers wandering around inside?”

Bolin whooped. “We’ll wrangle any varmints we find!”

Asami didn’t bother to respond and turned to Tenzin. “Will you join me at the meeting?”

“Of course,” Tenzin replied with a slight nod.

“Actually, I’d like to come too,” Jinora added.

Korra flinched. “You don’t want to go to the Spirit World?”

“I do, but I want the chance to tell President Raiko how important preserving the Spirit World is.”

Korra nodded and patted the young girl on the back. “Alright Bolin, I guess it’s just you and me.”

“We can handle it,” Bolin replied with a wink as he cracked at his knuckles.

Meelo rose up from his seat with his right arm flexed. “Since Jinora can’t go, take me with you!”

Tenzin, who was sitting next to Meelo, put a hand on his son’s head and pushed him back into a seated position. “No.”

“C’mon Dad, you haven’t let me do anything since Kuvira attacked. You’re not properly utilizing all the talent you have at your disposal!” Meelo urged.

“There is a difference between missions where the fate of the world is at stake, and a minor mission in the Spirit World. You should be using this time of peace to focus on your training. When you become an air master we can talk about missions.”

“I bet you’re going to hold that over me for a long time, just because I want to see some action,” Meelo argued, pounding the table with his fist for emphasis.

Tenzin let out a long sigh. “Action isn’t the reason you train Meelo. We as airbenders do not seek battle, we only fight if we must.”

The dining room door began to slide open, and the room turned to look who it was.

“We’re back!” Opal announced, stepping into the room, followed by Mako.

Bolin jumped from his seat, slapping his hands to his face and squealed, “Opal!” He got over the shock and lumbered over to his girlfriend and grabbed her by the waist.

“I’ve missed you so much!” Bolin cried out as he squeezed her middle.

“Oh Bolin, I wasn’t gone that long but… I missed you too,” Opal replied, nuzzling her face in the crook of his neck.

After a few moments Bolin released Opal and turned to his brother. “Mako, what brings you back?”

Mako crossed his arms like he was mad, but couldn’t help cracking a grin. “What, are you not happy to see me?”

Bolin smiled and grabbed Mako, clutching him to his chest. Mako’s arms were still crossed, and they were now crushed between their two bodies.

“Of course I am. This means, finally and truly the gang is back together!” Bolin cried, squeezing Mako a little tighter.

During the two brothers’ exchange Korra and Asami had gotten up from their seats to greet the new arrivals.

Korra moved in first to give Mako a hug. “Glad to have you back,” she said softly as they embraced.

After parting, Korra moved to hug Opal. Asami stepped up towards Mako, and they locked eyes. Mako felt a slight burning at the corner of his eyes, but was able to fight off the surprising threat of tears. For a moment they just stood in front of each other, before finally both moving in for a hug.

“Hey Korra, we can take Mako and Opal with us to the Spirit World!” Bolin said gleefully.

Tezin cleared his throat. “Opal, I recommend you catch up with Kai first. He has volunteered you and himself to lead our aid mission in the Earth Kingdom.”

Opal’s shoulders slumped. “We just got back.”

“We both agreed that an increase in airbender presence was necessary in the Earth Kingdom territories, especially the ones cut off from Ba Sing Se.”

“Can we all talk about this later, with Kai?”

Tenzin nodded. “Yes, we can meet in my study after we’re all finished in here.”

“Great, cos I want to first get caught up with all of these fools.” Opal gestured to Korra, Asami, Bolin and Mako who had started settling back down at the table.

***

After dinner wrapped up, Tenzin and Opal left to find Kai and bring him with them to Tenzin’s study.

Once they all took a seat, Opal looked between the two men. “Is it terrible of me to not want to go?”

Tenzin habitually reached for his beard and glanced at Kai. “No, I wouldn’t say that...”

“Is there a reason why?” Kai asked.

Opal splayed out her hands that were resting on the small round table between them. “The thing is, I just finished three years of traveling back and forth from the Earth Kingdom, which wasn’t so bad when Bolin was away working for Kuvira. But now he’s back, and I don’t want to spend that much time apart from him again. Is there someone else that could go, and I can stay and help out with the recovery here?”

“I understand, Opal,” Kai offered. “I’ve been talking to the other benders about the mission, a lot of them are interested in going with me, we should be all set. I just like having my partner around is all.”

Opal smiled and held her hand out to the young man. “This isn’t forever, you can’t go replacing me.”

Kai accepted her hand, and gave it a few shakes. “This is just till you’re ready to fly with me again.”

Tenzin cleared his throat. “I will need to know who these benders are and speak with them before you leave. If they are who I think they are, there isn’t going to be a single adult present on this mission. Which is why I wanted you to go, Opal.”

“Since when did I become the mature and responsible adult in situations?” Opal asked, looking around. Tenzin’s expression was stern. “Alright, so I’ve never been the rebellious teenager either. Why not send Otaku with them, he’s got an answer for everything, even when you don’t ask?”

Kai’s expression hardened and he shot a look to Opal. She raised an eyebrow and silently asked, “What?”

Kai mouthed back, “Otaku,” and bugged his eyes.

Opal sighed and thought for a moment. “Maybe not Otaku, he still might not be ready for the public. What about Jinora?”

“Jinora is needed here,” Tenzin replied, cutting in quickly. “She is in the progress of more training.”

Opal rested an elbow on the table and her face in her hand. “Whoever Kai’s got picked out should be fine. Just send word to Prince Wu and I’m sure he can make accommodations for them, so the kids have a home base to go to if things get rough.”

“That is not a bad idea. I wish Mako was still there, I trust him to be more attentive than Wu.”

“Believe me, it’s better Mako isn’t there right now. He makes a way better police officer than politician.”

Tenzin gave a slight nod to Opal. “I’ll take your word for it,” he said, before turning to Kai. “Rally your group to meet with me tomorrow morning. After I approve of your selections we’ll have you ship off the following day.”

Opal and Kai rose from the floor and bowed. “Thank you, Master Tenzin,” they said in unison before leaving. The two walked together down the temple hall from Tenzin’s study, and into the cool night. As they got close to where Opal assumed the two would be parting ways, she placed a hand on Kai’s shoulder.

“Listen Kai, I want to apologize for not going with you this time.”

“You don’t have to, I told you, I get it,” Kai replied, flashing a reassuring smile.

Opal nodded a few times and let her hand drop. “I’ll fly out there sometime to check in on you all. I want to spend more time with Bolin, but we don’t have to be sewn together at the hip.”

***

After Tenzin and Opal left the dining room, it wasn’t long before the rest of the airbender family dispersed, leaving Mako, Bolin, Korra and Asami alone.

“It feels like it’s been forever since we’ve all been together, just sitting around the table, chewing the fat,” Bolin said gleefully, looking around. He then nudged Mako. “So tell us about Ba Sing Se.”

Mako grimaced as he thought about his last seventy two hours in the Earth Kingdom. “It’s uh… it’s intense over there.”

“Do you think the rebuilding of their government is going okay?” Korra asked, her voice wavering with concern.

“Yeah, I’d say for the most part. The incident with Kuvira ruffled a few feathers…”

“Did you ever figure out who was behind the rigging of her trial?” Asami swiftly asked.

Mako shook his head. “They never revealed themselves, but I have my suspicions. A lot of people were upset about it for different reasons. What lingers now is some doubt about her truly being dead.” 

Asami, Korra and Bolin exchanged uncertain glances.

Mako held up a hand and gave it a few ways. “I don’t think it should be a problem, they have a lot more to worry about right now with getting everything in order before Wu officially steps down.”

“I’m surprised Wu didn’t want you to stick around until after that happened,” Korra commented, shrugging her shoulders.

“He’s really stepped up these past few weeks, I almost don’t recognize him.”

“Almost is the key word,” Opal called out from the doorway. She moved around the room and took the empty seat beside Bolin. “I think his eccentricities are ingrained in his personality, and are far better suited for being a diplomat than a king.”

“So he will still have some involvement in governing?” Asami asked.

Opal looked to Mako. “Sounds like it, something to do with maintaining relationships between all the states as they become independent.”

“I think it’s a good role for him,” Mako said, with a faint smile.

“I hate to say this Mako, but I wish you were still over there. I was sad to see you go, but felt some relief knowing you were going to be there to help… I feel like maybe I should go over there.”

“But Republic City needs you Korra, and the Spirit World, we don’t know what’s happening in there,” Bolin urged.

“I know, but look what happened last time I wasn’t around when the Earth Kingdom didn’t have a leader?”

“This is different, you were…” Bolin glanced to Asami. “...In the south.”

“You can say it. I was physically and emotionally absent for three years.” Korra bowed her head and looked at the table. “I’ve been assured I don’t need to apologize for that period, but Bolin and Opal, I never apologized to you for not writing back. Both your letters and Bolin, your pictures brought me a lot of comfort while I was gone. I felt so ashamed and discouraged that all I could think to write back to you all was that I wasn’t well, and was starting to believe I never would be again… so I chose to remain silent.” When she was finished Korra looked back up to Bolin. His eyes were glossy and his lip quivering.

“Come here,” Bolin whispered, motioning with outstretched hands. “I want a hug.”

Korra got up from her seat and  moved to Bolin and he pulled her down to the floor with him.

“Apology accepted. I’m just so happy you’re back,” Bolin cried as he clutched Korra tightly to his chest. He then looked up to the others. “I’m so happy we’re all together!”

“Me too,” Korra managed to squeak out from Bolin’s firm embrace.

“Korra and I agreed to not dwell about the past anymore. What’s done is done, and all that matters is we are all here and healthy now,” Asami offered the group.

Bolin nodded as he released Korra. The Avatar staggered back to her seat, feeling a bit crumpled. Asami smiled and patted her leg once she was settled.

“Opal and I have a similar agreement,” Bolin added, looking to his girlfriend.

There was a brief moment of silence as the couples acknowledged each other. Mako cleared his throat and started to get up from his seat.

“Well, I should get heading back to the apartment…”

Bolin mirrored his brother and then stretched out a hand. “What do you mean, we’re all going to the Spirit World tomorrow, you should stay here.”

Mako waved him off. “Ah, I got some things I need to check on, just tell me when and where you want to meet me and I’ll be there.”

“Okay, uh,” Bolin looked to Korra, deflated. “Meet at the Spirit Portal around eight?” he said, more as a question.

Korra nodded. “Sounds good to me.”

“Actually, I should go home tonight too. I need to stop by my office before going to see Raiko and it will be easier to get there from my apartment,” Asami announced, rising as well.

“Okay...” the Avatar murmured, pouting her lip.

Asami lowered her hand to brush Korra’s cheek with her fingers. “Thank you.”

Mako had left the room during Korra and Asami’s exchange, so Asami had to jog a little ways to catch up with him.

“Mako, I’ll give you a ride,” Asami called out.

Mako paused at the steps down to the dock. “Okay,” he replied, starting his descent. Asami followed.

The boat ride back to the city was quiet but quick. The two exited the boat, and walked together up the dock.

“You want to grab a drink, I’m buying?” Asami asked, breaking the silence.

Mako turned his gaze away from the water and to Asami briefly to say, “Okay.”

It wasn’t until they entered the establishment and sat down at the bar that it dawned on Asami this was the same place they came to together around two years ago, during Bolin’s last night in Republic City.

Back then, they were commiserating over the news of Bolin’s announcement and unspokenly over Korra. Though he never confided in her about his feelings for Korra, Asami couldn’t help but feel a twinge of guilt over hiding her own.

Asami watched Mako ordered their beverages, he still remembered her preferred drink. She slid some bills towards Mako, but he pushed them back and paid for the drinks with money from his own pocket.

“You paid last time, and then some,” Mako replied to Asami’s confused face.

The bartender came back with their drinks, and pushed a glass in front of each of them one by one.

“Let’s get a booth this time,” Asami murmured as she lifted her glass.

Mako nodded and followed.

The pair found an empty booth in the dimly lit corner. The old wooden seats creaked and groaned as they sat down across from each other.

“How’s it feel to be back?” Asami asked, breaking the silence.

Mako let out a little snort. “It was good until Korra told me I shouldn’t have done it.”

“You know it’s not like that.”

Mako slumped in his seat a bit, his legs spreading out farther under the table. “Still, not the kind of welcome I was expecting.”

Asami looked down at her glass. “What were you expecting?”

“To feel like I was where I belonged again,” Mako sighed, taking a swig.

“It’s weird, huh?” Asami quietly asked rhetorically, leaning back into her seat. “So why did you come back?” Asami winced at her tone. “So soon.”

Mako took another drink. “I messed up, in the way I always do.”

“A woman?”

“Yasmine,” Mako sighed. “She was the Earth Kingdom employee that got caught up in my mission to pick up Kuvira. I don’t know what it is about a dangerous situation that just… stirs up this passion in me… but once the dust settles… I don’t know what happens with me, but I suddenly get critical and snippy.”

Asami examined Mako’s face as he spoke. His gaze was focused on the drink in front of him.

“I’m envious of you, not because you’re with Korra, but because you two are able to be with each other, without fighting all the time like she and I did… It was like I couldn’t handle her agency. That sounds terrible of me…”

“Mako… I’m sorry I didn’t tell you I had feelings for Korra… I-”

“You don’t have to apologize, I didn’t either.”

“I think given our history…” Asami shook her head, changing her train of thought. “I just feel like I’ve hidden it from you, I’ve had feelings for her for a long time.”

“When we were here, those years ago?”

“That was when I really accepted how I felt, even vowed to move on, find someone I could be with.”

“Did you?” Mako asked looking up.

“I did, for a time, but the feelings for Korra never went away.”

“She really has a way of getting under your skin…” Mako sighed, looking back down and discovering his glass was empty. “I want you to know, it’s okay. It’s a little weird for me still, but okay. I think tonight, it was just seeing all of you together, coupled, I felt a little like an outsider. Like I had been gone for years.”

“I think we all feel that way at some point. We were loners before meeting Korra, then we kinda went back to that while she was in the South. Now we’re a part of this big family again. I still find it overwhelming at times too...”

Mako slowly nodded, a smile pulling at the corner of his mouth.

“You’re still a part of this family,” Asami said reaching out and putting a hand over Mako’s.

Mako nodded slightly. “I know, I just feel like the weird uncle now, like Bumi or something.”

“I think that’s a perfect role for you.”

“Why don’t you buy us another round?” Mako asked, holding out his glass, a genuine smile on his face.

 

To be continued...

Chapter 31: Varmints to Wrangle

Notes:

Thank you all for your patience, Happy Holidays, I can't wait for a new year!
Also, thank you to TheToasterMarketingBoard for making this possible as always!

Chapter Text

As planned, Korra, Bolin, Opal and Mako met in front of the spirit portal early in the morning. The group was still bleary-eyed as they huddled together beneath the glowing spiral tower.

“Should we synchronize our watches before heading in?” Bolin asked, winking at Korra.

The Avatar smiled and held a hand to her forehead to shield her eyes as she looked up to the sky. “I can’t believe we can never really know what time it is.”

“It’s quarter after eight,” Mako said drly.

Bolin’s eyes widened and he moved closer to his brother. “No you don’t understand Mako, yesterday we learned time is relative, meaning…” the earthbender paused and looked to Korra for help. She shrugged in response.

“Like Korra said, we can never really know the true time,” Bolin finished lamely.

A crease formed on Mako’s forehead. “Then why do we care what time it is in the Spirit World?”

“Cos there have been huge gaps in time. Asami and I thought we were gone for weeks, but it had only been days,” Korra explained.

“That is pretty strange, but are you sure it wasn’t because it just felt that way?”

Korra groaned. “Mako we’ve already gone over all of these details, we know something's wrong, we don’t know exactly what, but today we’re just rounding up any people that might be wandering around in there.”

Mako held up his hands. “Alright, alright, I was just asking some questions...”

Bolin snaked an arm around his brother’s shoulder. “No time for questions, we got varmints to wrangle.”

***

Asami, Tenzin and Jinora stood awkwardly in the empty meeting room in President Raiko’s office. His mousy secretary excused herself after leading them in, to go locate the President.

Eventually a second door to the room opened, and Raiko slipped inside.

“Hello Master Tenzin. Sorry, I wasn’t expecting you, let me request another tea cup…” Raiko murmured, reaching for the conference room phone.

Tenzin cleared his throat. “Make that two more, my daughter, Master Jinora is here as well.”

Jinora peeked from behind her father and waved to Raiko. The president’s eyes narrowed and he continued dialing to his secretary.

Asami made the first move to take a seat at the table. She unpacked a few stacks of papers from her briefcase and laid a pen on top of a small notebook. Jinora and Tenzin followed suit and took the seats next to her. The two parties sat on opposite sides of the width of the long table, so they could speak more intimately.

“So, what is this meeting all about?” Raiko blurted out. His pointer finger and thumb fidgeted with the teacup in front of him.

Asami took a quick glance at the airbenders and then faced Raiko. “I know you are very busy, now that we are ready to begin rebuilding. During this time we would like to talk to you about how we approach the new addition to our city-”

“I’m assuming you’re referring to the glowing beacon shooting from the tangle of vines in the middle of downtown?” Raiko cut in.

“Yes,” Asami replied, almost as a sigh.

Raiko got up from his chair, and walked over to a window. He pulled back the  decorative curtain, letting in a faint green glow.

“Is the Avatar able to turn that damn thing off? The glow is so strong it casts shadows in my office at night; who knows how bright it will be for the people living next to it?”

Tenzin cleared his throat before speaking. His eyes followed Raiko as the president stormed back to his seat. “Avatar Korra will not be closing the spirit portal. Its very creation is a miracle.”

“Why does my city have to be the centre of spiritual events?” Raiko moaned, easing himself into his chair. The cushion let out a sigh in agreeance with its occupant’s frustration.

“Have your forgotten who founded this city?” Asami asked, desperately wishing she could be more sarcastic towards the man across from her.

Raiko looked over at the unamused expressions of Tenzin and Jinora. He cleared his throat before speaking again. “Right... So what about the spirit portal?”

“We’d like to seal it off from the public while we do some investigating into the Spirit World,” Asami quickly replied.

“Alright, why? Something going on in there?” Raiko asked.

“Well, we’re not sure. There have been some major time discrepancies between the Spirit World and ours.”

The creases on Raiko’s forehead deepened as he frowned “That’s it? Are you sure it’s not just some regional difference, like a time zone?”

“It’s a possibility. I believe we need to fully explore this new neighboring world and understand it. I’d like your support in securing the spirit portal indefinitely so we can properly study it.”

“I’m not opposed to your suggestion, but I think exploring the Spirit World is a low priority at the moment, wouldn’t you agree?” Raiko asked, leaning back in his seat and pointing out the window. “The city is a mess, and I think its citizens are far more concerned with where they will be living, than what time it is in the Spirit World.”

Asami adjusted her papers as Raiko continued.

“We can block it with gates and some guards to keep the average citizen out, but that is it for now. Asami, I need your focus to be on Republic City’s infrastructure, again. I’m sure you still have all the plans from the last rebuild. You have my blessings to build it back up as it was, and apply the same principles to the new vines… Though I don’t know what the hell we are going to do about the thicket growing in ground zero...”  As Raiko mused, his attention wandered from Asami to Tenzin.  “Tenzin, you and I need to talk about your people providing aid to the citizens still camping in the outer limits.”

Tenzin nodded. “Yes, I am designating a small group to continue aid in the Earth Kingdom, but the rest of the airbenders are committed to the citizens of the United Republic.”

“Good, your people’s ability to fly where our aircraft can’t is of great value while Republic City’s citizens are spread to all corners of the state.”

“Um, before we change subjects, could I make a suggestion?” Jinora asked timidly, interrupting the older men’s conversation. “Perhaps I could lead the investigation into the Spirit World instead. Asami mentioned to us last night what is needed right now is a lot of data collection, before we can make any accurate assumptions that something might be going on.”

“Do you need anything else from me to carry on this investigation?”

Jinora shook her head. “No sir, I guess just your support.”

Raiko eyed Tenzin. The older air master seemed caught off guard but gave Raiko a slight nod.

“Very well, you can head the investigation.”

Jinora lifted a pointed finger, “and if I may sir, make one suggestion?”

Raiko impatiently gestured with his hand for Jinora to continue. She clasped her hands tightly in her lap before speaking.

“I think that the sealing off of the spirit portal, should not be temporary, but permanent. I don’t think, and Korra agrees with me, that the citizens should have unregulated access to the Spirit World. And if we do it now, before they get a chance to explore it, it will be easier than trying to take it away from them later. I worry people will feel entitled to the Spirit World because it is now a part of our city.”

“I think that is very wise Jinora,” Asami said, with a small smile to the young woman. “We don’t want citizens trying to move in there, claim land ownership or try to export goods. Like the spirit wilds this should be protected land, but even more so given how expansive it is. And for people’s safety as well, there is a lot of possible danger lurking in the Spirit World.”

“Do you think we could make an attraction out of it, like the spirit wilds?” Raiko asked.

Jinora shook her head. “No, this is different,” she said, before looking to her father for guidance.

“The Spirit World needs to be off limits. Think of it as a sacred ground,” Tenzin added.

“Very well,” Raiko sighed, leaning back in his seat. “If the spirit portal and world are off limits then they don’t require any more of my attention. Asami, I will leave it to you to start fixing the infrastructure, and you Ikki...”

“Jinora,” Tenzin corrected.

“Jinora, you will be the unofficial head of… of Spirit World relations. You only need to brief me if there’s anything wrong, otherwise until this city is back to fully operational, I don’t have the time. Unless you have any other business with me Asami, you are excused.”

“No, I think my next steps are clear. Jinora, do you want to come with me, I’ll treat you to some lunch?”

Jinora nodded and began to rise from her seat. The two weren’t even at the door before Raiko began unloading his grievances and plans onto Tenzin.

 

***

“So, we don’t know if anyone is in here, right?” Opal asked, looking around the area outside the spirit portal.

Korra nodded. “Right, we’re just making sure.”

The group walked a little way through the neon field of flowers, getting a better view of the expansive plains before them.

“Is it even possible check all of the Spirit World?” Mako asked, looking to Korra.

The Avatar grabbed her chin. “That’s a good question…”

“It is called the Spirit World, not the Spirit Town. There is no way we could check a whole world! This plan wasn’t very thought through, huh?” Opal said in a snarky tone.

Bolin shrugged. “Well if anyone came in, they couldn’t have gotten too far. They’d have to walk, and they’d know that if they went too far they might not be able to find their way back.”

“You're putting a lot of faith in the general public to have common sense about this,” Mako said.

Korra stopped walking and the other three took a few more steps before stopping too.

“Listen, I don’t have all the answers for this. I’m just doing what Asami suggested, and that’s check and see if anyone’s in here. This is gonna be just a lot of wandering around cos we don’t know if anyone is in here or not. If you don’t feel like doing that, you’re all welcome to leave now while the portal is right there,” Korra barked, pointing to the exit.

“Easy Korra, we’re just thinking aloud, right guys?” Opal replied.

Mako and Bolin nodded.

“I’m game for whatever happens, except exploring more of those woods we went into yesterday. If we could just avoid looking there,” Bolin added.

Korra’s body relaxed. “Okay, sorry guys. I don’t like not knowing what I’m doing either.”

Bolin walked to the Avatar and matched her pace. “I’m sure we’ll find somebody we can beat up and drag out of here. Then it will all be worthwhile.”

***

It took a few tries, but Asami and Jinora were finally able to locate something to eat at a vendor in Avatar Korra Park. It was the same steam bun cart she and Korra had ordered from to feed to turtle ducks, when they had come to the park on their date.  

After collecting their food, the pair found a vacant bench near the pond. A few curious turtle ducks paddled closer, lingering on the edge of the water. Asami pulled out a wrapped, steaming bun and passed it to Jinora, and then took out another for herself.

“Thank you for lunch,” Jinora said as she unwrapped her bun from its casing.

“It’s only proper to celebrate a promotion.”

Jinora blushed. “I’m worried what my dad is going to say to me about it later. I was relieved you asked me out for lunch, so I can delay the conversation.”

“Why would he be upset?” Asami asked, cocking her head to the side.

Jinora looked down at her bun. “We’ve been butting heads lately about where I should be focusing my time… and the Spirit World is not high on his list.”

“He wants you to train with Korra, right?”

Jinora shook her head. “No, he doesn’t want me to do that either. I’m supposed to be shadowing him to learn about taking over his role one day as head of the Air Nation… but that’s so far away, I feel like it can wait, ya know?”

“My father felt it was never too early for me to get started learning the family business either,” Asami mused, leaning back a bit in her seat. “It’s a lot of weight to be put on your shoulders, knowing someone is counting on you to take over their life’s work.”

“Dad’s life works, and grandpa Aang’s…” Jinora sighed.

“But you’re not alone. You have three siblings who will be by your side when that day comes.”

“I guess that’s true. Dad hasn’t really talked about what they’re supposed to do. Hopefully they’ll be mature one day, otherwise…”

Asami pulled out another bun for each of them. The bag was now empty, so she folded it up and put it beside her on the bench. Asami cleared her throat. “You know, I think Ikki has been showing signs of maturity… she could help accompany you while you’re gathering data for me...”

“I know what you’re trying to do, but you can stop. My mom already told me to ease off of her.” Jinora stood up from the bench. “I promised I will, but don’t make me work with her too.”

“I’m sorry, I just…”

“I told you and Korra, you don’t have siblings, you don’t get it. I think it’s great that you’re spending time with Ikki, she’s been underfoot less, and seems genuinely happier.”

Asami slowly nodded.

“I need to go back to the temple,” Jinora said holding up what was left of her steam bun. “I’ll stop by tomorrow at your office so we can figure out what you need me to do for your research. Thanks for lunch,”

“You’re welcome…”

Jinora walked a little way out of Asami’s sight before taking flight.


***

“Here is the last of them, Miss Sato,” Kali said, a bit breathless, laying out her armful of long rolled blueprints onto the meeting table in Asami’s office.

Asami looked up from the map she was looking over, magnifying glass in hand, and offered a smile in response.

“I was thinking maybe next time we store these, we do so somewhere a little closer to reach. Who knows when the city will be blown up again?” Kali suggested.

Asami nodded. “In hindsight it was foolish to think we wouldn’t want to look at these again. Maybe if I just leave them in my office, nothing will happen to this city again.”

“Like when you bring an umbrella hoping it doesn’t rain?”

“Exactly.”

Kali bowed slightly. “Let me know if you need anything else.”

Asami turned her attention back down at the large piece paper before murmuring ‘Thank you.’

The door didn’t shut as expected, and a new female voice was heard. Asami looked up to see Future Industries’ head of public relations, Min Voh. Asami recognized her by her messy black bun and big glasses that glimmered with the reflection of the waning sun pouring into the office. The new arrival was casually chatting with Kali.

Min must have felt Asami’s gaze, and shifted her attention from Kali. “Miss Sato, is now a good time?”

‘No.’ Asami thought to herself, as she looked at her buried meeting table, wishing Kali had caught Min outside the door. She found it easier to say no when she didn’t have to say it to an employee’s face. Asami was however, very curious about what her public relations team had come up with in regards to her and Korra’s ‘announcement,’ and her curiosity won out.

“I’d like to hear what you have, please find a place at the table where you can,” Asami offered.

Min smiled and turned back to Kali. “Friday night then?”

Kali nodded. “Yes, and I will make sure Tran dresses appropriately this time.”

“Great,” Min replied cheerfully, reaching out and squeezing Kali’s arm. She then bounced over to the table and carved out a small spot directly across from Asami.

Min reached into her shoulder bag and pulled out a small notebook and pen. She flipped through a few pages, settling on a page filled with notes, and looked over to Asami.

“So,” Min started casually, pushing her glasses up the bridge of her nose. “I’ve been discussing with my team the best way to approach this. We did some brainstorming trying to think of how the public would react to your announcement.” Min held her hand up to her mouth, shielding one side of it like what she was about to say was a secret. “Now, I want to assure you, this isn’t our opinion. Personally, I think it’s great, and I am so, so curious, but I know, that has to wait.”

Asami shifted in her seat. The woman’s intensity was making her a bit uncomfortable.

“Anyway, we predict that the biggest problem for people will be the timing of your announcement, which actually will play in your favor in the long run. If the public is more upset about you choosing to ‘selfishly’ announce your love while the city is in ruins, they will focus less about you both being women. So our approach to counter the public’s complaint, would be a heavy campaign of you two getting involved in building the city back up. Highlighting both the corporate and personal contributions you plan on making to the areas most affected. You know, all that feel-good publicity stuff. Then the city is back to normal, and what negative thing can they say about the two women who fixed everything?” Min said, with a confident smile.

Asami contemplated Min’s words, nodding to herself. “I don’t hate it, but I worry about Korra. It’s a lot easier for me to win over the people because I have the ability to pay my way into good favor. I am also not the Avatar, I’m just a private citizen. You’ve seen how the press rips her to shreds anytime something goes wrong.”

Min nodded, chewing on the tip of her pen. “I’ve always thought the Avatar could use her own personal public relations team. Her public speaking is… “ She looked up to Asami and remembered she was both the Avatar’s girlfriend and her own employer, “She could use a little help.”

“Yes, I fully agree, the trouble she gets herself into sometimes…” Asami sighed. “But it’s important that it doesn’t look like lines are being fed to her. People need to trust that what Korra does and says is genuine. We can only make suggestions, the words need to be her own, as awkwardly delivered as they sometimes can be....”

“Well, we can limit Avatar Korra’s speaking opportunities. I figure just one major interview, with the two of you together, get all those pressing questions everyone's going to have out of the way...” Min suddenly got a distant look in her eyes as she brought her pen to her lips. “But should it be a print interview, or would radio be better…”

“I’d like to speak with Korra first, before we make any big decisions.”

Asami’s voice brought Min’s focus back, and her face lit up. “Yes, we’d like to speak with Avatar Korra soon, if that’s possible. My team can present what we have to the both of you, and get a feel of how you act as a couple. This will help us figure out the best way to coach Avatar Korra for the interview, and we can choose the form of media all together.”

“Okay,” Asami started hesitantly. “How about sometime next week?”

Min flipped through a few pages in her notebook, then stopped abruptly. “Next Thursday, after lunch?”

Asami forced a smile. “Sounds great, can you confirm it with Kali on the way out?”

“Marvelous,” Min squealed. The young woman pushed her glasses back up her nose as she collected her things. She was halfway to the door, when she spun around on her heels to face Asami again. “I can’t wait to meet Avatar Korra, I have so many questions I want to ask, strictly off the record.”

Min gave a small wave and then shut the door. Asami let out a big sigh once she was alone.

***

Korra, Bolin, Mako and Opal had been walking for a little over an hour by Mako’s watch, without any sign of human presence. They were following a small, lazy river, picking it up a half mile from the portal, figuring other humans might do the same to find their a way back.

Korra looked back towards the direction of the portal; it was no longer in sight.  It didn’t worry her, she merely needed to shut her eyes and the group could be back in front of it.

“What do you think Mako, the portal is out of sight, would the average citizen come this far?” Korra asked.

Mako matched his pace to the Avatar. “Probably not, we’d be more likely to find someone looking for a reward for the risk being taken. I’d wager it’s pretty widely known that spirit vines are a powerful resource. With the city a wreck I wouldn’t be shocked that some of the looters would find their way in here. Though I doubt any would be smart enough to know where to start.”

“Yeah, I can just imagine Shady Shin skulking around the trees, wondering how he can make a buck from its bark,” said Bolin, who had lagged behind the group.

“I’d be worried about Varrick pulling something like that if I hadn’t kicked him out,” Korra muttered, crossing her arms. As soon as her arms settled together, the the group heard a distant, but familiar voice.

“I told you we should have brought the hummingbird suit Zhu Liiiiiiii!”

“You so sure about that Korra?” Opal asked, pointing towards the now visible figure of Varrick. He was about a couple hundred yards away, and Zhu Li was running close behind. Hot on their tail was a large, multi-legged spirit. Its many legs were thick as tree trunks, covered in fur. It had the face of a tiger with the body of a caterpillar. Exotic orange, black and white stripes and swirls covered its long body.

The four stood for a moment watching the couple flee for their lives.

“Shouldn’t we go help them?” Bolin asked as he drifted towards the direction the couple was running.

Korra flinched. “You gotta be kidding me, I told him he was banished from the Spirit World for a year!”

“Guess he didn’t think you were serious,” Opal remarked with a grin.

Bolin started jogging towards the action, waving his friends on. “C’mon guys.”

Mako and Opal followed, and Korra reluctantly pulled up the rear. The four quickly matched each other’s pace as they chased after the charging spirit.

“You think another dark spirit?” Bolin called out.

“I don’t know, hard to tell when you first see a spirit, if it was dark it would have another form once we calm it down,” said Korra.

“How should we do that?” Opal asked between breaths.

Korra eyed the charging spirit ahead of them. Its many legs were tearing up the terrain, carelessly kicking back bits of the Spirit World. “We’ll have to try to stop it first. Bolin and Mako you take the left, Opal and I the right.  Mako, try and get ahead of it and blast some fire in its face. Bolin you raise up the ground beneath it, try and trip it. Opal and I can blast air to try and knock it off balance.”

The Avatar’s companions nodded and they broke off into their pairings. Mako pushed himself to pass the spirit, but could not get any farther than its hind legs.

“It’s too fast. Try tripping him first!” Mako called out to his brother.

Bolin nodded, clenching his fists and curling his arms towards the sky. A wall of rock burst through the cushy green grass carpet and under the many moving legs of the spirit. The long thick legs deftly used the wall as a stepping stone and continued on its pursuit.

“Again Bolin! Do more!” Mako coached.

Bolin thrusted again, raising two walls, but the spirit cleared them with ease.

“Go higher!”

“It’s hard to do this while running Mako!”

Mako matched his pace to his brother’s. “We’ll hit it at the same time. Ready?”

Bolin nodded.

“Go!”

Bolin raised the ground while Mako threw fire under the spirit’s belly. Opal and Korra heard them shout to ‘go’ and sent a powerful gust from their side. This blew back Mako’s fire at the brothers. They yelped and both fell backwards, crashing to the ground.

The girls had stopped running in order to conjure the wind together, so they saw Mako and Bolin rolling in the spirit’s wake. The boys tumbled a few more times before coming to a stop. The four had little time to acknowledge each other because they had finally caught the spirit’s attention.

“HUMANS! GET OUT!” the large spirit shouted. Its heavy legs thudded as it pivoted around to face the group

Through the spirit’s limbs, Korra spied Varrick and Zhu Li taking the opportunity to seek cover in a nearby cave. She shook her head, but was pleased the two were out of harm’s way.

The Avatar then cast her gaze upwards to take in the spirit before her.Its many paws flexed in the dirt, its large claws peeking out from its toes, as it eyed down the four humans. Korra stepped away from the group towards the beast. “Spirit! Those two mean you no harm, and neither do we!”

The tigerpillar spirit flared its nostrils and then exhaled heavily, blowing debris on the group.

“THEN GET OUUUT!”

Bolin meekly tugged on Korra’s shirt. “Maybe we should just grab Varrick and Zhu Li and go, sounds like it’ll let us.”

“OUUUT!” the spirit bellowed again.

Korra frowned and took another step closer. “As the Avatar I demand to know why you are so angry!”

The spirit’s red-ringed eyes bulged and it thrusted its head down to Korra’s level. Its lower fangs jutted from its frowning mouth, and the Avatar noted they were as tall as she was.

“As the Avatar you should know WHY I am angry. And you should be angry too! But I hear the Avatar is just as guilty as those mouthy little humans.”

Despite feeling a bit intimidated, Korra widened her stance and crossed her arm.

“What am I guilty of?”

“Using the Spirit World as your personal vacation spot. You can’t just loiter about the Spirit World with no purpose, thinking there won’t be consequences.”

“We’re not-”

“THIS IS NOT A PLACE FOR HUMANS! Your presence in here affects everything, in little ways and big ways. So do the spirits a favor and GO HOME,” the spirit cried, raising its head up and rearing back. Four of its paws were off the ground, their claws hanging like stalactites.

“I think we should listen to the tigerpillar and go home, Korra.” Opal said, pulling at the Avatar’s arm. Mako flanked the other side to help Opal’s efforts in removing Korra as she resisted.

“Are we affecting time here?” Korra called out as she was being dragged away, keeping her eyes locked on the spirit.

“Humans affect everything here. You want to keep balance, stay out!” the tigerpillar spirit said, crashing back down on all of its paws. “And take those two hiding in the cave with you!”

On cue Varrick and Zhu Li poked their heads out from their hiding spot.

Bolin waved to them, and they scurried across the plain, dodging between the spirit’s legs.

“He doesn’t need to ask us twice!” Varrick murmured breathlessly as he reached the group.

Bolin put his arms around the couple and ushered them away towards the others. “We don’t use pronouns with spirits until they tell them to us. Learned that lesson the hard way.”

“Wha?”

“I’ll explain it to you later dear,” Zhu Li said, exasperated.

Once all six of them were safely together a few yards away from the spirit, Korra closed her eyes to transport them away, but not before giving one last sidelong look to the tigerpillar spirit. It hadn’t moved from its spot, and she could feel its eyes boring into her.

Mako reached out and put a hand on her shoulder. “Let it go, Korra.”

Korra nodded and closed her eyes again. She had to squeeze them tighter when she heard Varrick’s reactions to what was happening. In an instant they were back in front of the portal.

Korra was about to open her mouth and demand an explanation when Opal cut her off.

“It’s following us!”

They all turned to look where Opal was pointing. On the horizon they could see the tigerpillar swiftly worming towards the portal. A cloud of dust flowed behind it.

“They just wanted to make sure we left, so why don’t we all leave?” Bolin suggested, grabbing his girlfriend’s hand. “Come on people, lets go!”

The group began to dash for the portal, Bolin and Opal leading the charge. Varrick and Zhu Li were close on behind, followed by Mako, who noticed Korra had started to move, but was glaring back at the spirit.

“Damnit Korra, come on!” Mako cried, jerking her towards the portal. Korra tried to pull away but they stumbled into the portal and out into the physical world.

Bolin, Opal, Varrick and Zhu Li were all standing around them.

“Hey guys,” Bolin said with a wave.

Varrick threw up his hands and puffed out his chest. “Aha ha ha! I can’t believe we made it! I thought that was the end for sure this time.”

“Thank you all,” Zhu Li said politely, with a slight bow.

“You don’t need to thank them, saving people, the world, that’s these kids’ job. Am I right?” Varrick joked, nudging Bolin.

Korra pulled herself up from the tangle of vines she and Mako fell upon and went right for Varrick’s collar. “If you’re not grateful Varrick, I can toss you back in there and let you work it out with that spirit on your own terms.”

Varrick gulped. “I was only kidding, of course I’m grateful. We can call it even for your overreaction the other day.”

“My overreaction? I’m just gearing up for a reaction! What happened in there is exactly why I told you to get out of the Spirit World in the first place!” Korra cried, pushing Varrick into the vines.

“Easy, Korra.” Bolin urged.

“Asami and I caught these two,” the Avatar paused for a second, the continued. “Messing around in the Tree of Time and I banished them from the Spirit World while we figure this whole mess out.”

Varrick held up his hands defensively as he lifted himself back up. “Avatar, we already explained ourselves and we’re sorry. And we have an explanation for this; Zhu Li and I did leave the Spirit World and made it to the village, but apparently I’m not welcome there still for encouraging tribal warfare. I was hoping one of my and Asami’s old business contacts could at least get us on ship outta there, but we had no such luck. So our only option was to go back through the portal, in the dead of night I might add, disguised as two playful otter-penguins.”

Opal crossed her arms and murmured to herself, “Oh brother.”

Varrick continued; “So we traced our steps as best we could, but got lost. Fortunately we met a strange bearded dude wandering around, and-”

“Iroh?” Korra asked eagerly.

Varrick and Zhi Li shrugged.

Korra tried again. “Lord Zuko’s uncle.”

“You mean the ghost of Lord Zuko’s uncle,” Bolin interjected.

Varrick slapped his knee and turned to his wife. “You hear that Zhu Li, we met a royal ghost.”

“He’s not a ghost!” the Avatar moaned as her eyes rolled back in her head.

Varrick waved a hand, shrugging again. “Whoever he was, he pointed us in the right direction and we were almost home free till that angry spirit started chasing us for no reason.”

“Well, we seem to know the reason now,” Zhu Li added.

Mako sighed and shoved his hands into his pants pockets. “Well it looks like that spirit is going to do our job of clearing any humans out of the Spirit World for us, or it already did.”

“So what now?” Opal asked to no one in particular. “Go back to the temple?”

The group exchanged glances, a few nodded.

“We probably should, I need to meditate on this or something,” Korra said.

Bolin brightened. “Alright, back to the temple! It really is our place to go, for the good times and when things get rough! Where do we go? The temple! The temple-”

Opal smacked her arm around her boyfriend’s and pulled him closer. “Sweetie, enough.”

 

To be continued...

Chapter 32: Watching You

Notes:

Thank you TheToasterMarketingBoard for editing as always!

Chapter Text

Jinora touched down in the courtyard of Air Temple Island to find that her father had already returned from his meeting with Raiko. She was about to run over to greet him when she noticed he was not alone. Tenzin was walking in stride with Kai towards a small group of airbenders.

Jinora knew that Kai was planning to go back to the Earth Kingdom, but the sight of all the other airbenders around his age eager to go with him made it feel like there was a pro-bending rock-disc in her stomach. Part of her wanted to go with him. When she and her siblings were on their own searching for Korra, there was something very freeing about being away from her parents. On the other hand, the feeling inside her that said that Republic City was where she belonged was so strong, it crushed all other desires within her.

Jinora watched the grin spread on Kai’s face as he presented his gang of five to her father. Her eyes moved down the line of young men. Yung, Mu, but everyone pronounced it “Moo” because of how much he ate, and the brothers Cheng and Chang, all young men they rescued from the Earth Queen’s dungeon. The fifth was the eldest of the five; Yaten, a former Triple Threat. Kai had mentioned how the two had recently connected over being little punks before getting air bending. Yaten hadn’t joined their community right away; a chance encounter between him and and a spirit was what prompted the former gang member to seek out his people.

Jinora must have spaced out looking at Yaten and not realised it, because all of a sudden she noticed Meelo was at the end of the line-up. His arms were forcefully down at his side, his chest puffed and a stern expression on his face that broke as soon as their father noticed. Tenzin reached out and pinched Meelo by the ear, guiding the young boy to his side.

“C’mon Tenzin, let me go too! I’m old enough!” Meelo cried, loud enough for Jinora to hear. She could see the large vein in her father’s forehead start to appear, which she knew meant he was trying really hard not to lose his temper. Tenzin bent down to his son’s eye level. Jinora couldn’t hear what her father was saying, but she got the gist; Meelo was not going.

Meelo pulled away from his father, stomped his feet a few steps then shot into the sky. Dirt swelled up into a cloud in his wake. At her brother’s departure, Jinora finally decided to move closer to the group to hear her father speak.

“Remember, this isn’t about joy riding around the Earth Kingdom. You are going to serve those in need. You will be representing the Air Nation, what you do and how you act reflects upon all of us. I expect you to be humble, patient, respectful and most importantly of all, gentlemen. Kai’s in charge. Opal will be meeting up with you all in a few weeks to check in. Please call me as soon as you are in a place with a phone.”

Kai started to bow, and the other five followed his lead.

“Yes sir!” Kai barked, and the others echoed him.

“You should leave tomorrow, Lefty should be sufficient for carrying a group.”

Jinora stopped beside Tenzin and looked up at her father. He felt her presence and looked down at his side. “What do you think?”

Jinora looked over at the boys; they had loosened up and were talking amongst themselves. “I wish Opal was going with them.”

Tenzin reached up to pull at his beard. “Me too, but I’ve learned children can really surprise you when you give them a chance.”

“You gave Meelo a chance then too.”

“His sisters were with him. Siblings take care of each other in a way that a pack of teenage boys won’t. Meelo must learn patience and discipline before he goes out into the world on his own.”

Jinora cracked a smile. “Dad, that might never happen, and you can’t hold him here forever.”

“As long has he still wants his tattoos, I’ve got some leverage.”

***

That night Air Temple Island was bustling with activity. Korra, Opal, Bolin and Mako had returned from the spirit portal and caught up with Tenzin earlier in the afternoon. During their conversation Opal had made an offhand comment that they should send off Kai and his group with a party, and the acolytes took it to heart. Soon the whole temple was swept up in prepping for the festivities.

“Another party, that’s just what we need right now,” Tenzin muttered as he ducked under a slacking strand of paper lanterns Bolin and Opal were hanging.

“I'm sorry Tenzin, I was just so happy that I wasn’t going. I didn't think anyone would take it to heart!” Opal called down to Tenzin from her ladder.

Bolin grinned as he held up another lantern for Opal to hang. “I’m always happy to have a reason to party.”

His girlfriend accepted the big paper ball. “I think everyone else around here is too.”

“Well, near annihilation will do that. Kinda makes you think, ya know…” Bolin muttered, rubbing the back of his neck.

“Think of what?” Opal asked, holding her hands out expectantly for another lantern.

Bolin obediently passed her the next ball. “You know... making every day count and like the future... and stuff,” he said, as his eyes darted everywhere but his girlfriend’s.

Opal snorted. “Yeah, part of me is still reeling over the fact that we still have one. Speaking of, where’d our savior run off to?”


“She said something about helping Asami unload the food she brought from the docks,” Bolin replied, rubbing his belly.

“Don’t get too excited, I’m sure it’s still vegetarian.”

“Well at least they’ll be fancy vegetables…” Bolin sighed.

***

Down at the Air Temple’s dock, Korra patiently held her arms out as Asami loaded boxes of food onto them.

“So Min, my head of public relations, is bursting at the seams to meet you,” Asami said as she stacked a third box into the Avatar’s open arms. The boxes now covered Korra’s face, so Asami could not see the awkward expression her girlfriend made at the remark.

“Right back at her…”

Asami snorted. “You don’t have pretend with me.”

Korra’s body visibly relaxed. “I take it that means we’re going to be having that meeting soon…”

“You nervous?”

“Kinda,” Korra murmured, adjusting the boxes in her arms. She was about to explain when the sound of a struggling speedboat grabbed her attention. Asami also turned to see who was pulling in.

They were just able to make out a police speedboat through the grey and black cloud that engulfed it. The speedboat made a deep warbling sound as it coasted into a spot at the dock, and then gave a loud clank and a gasping sound before shutting off. Lin emerged from the cloud, one arm over her face, the other swatting at the murky air.

“Geez Lin, what’d you do to your boat?” Korra asked, backing away from the encroaching cloud. She lifted her arms and shot a blast of air at the smoke, pushing it out towards the water.

Lin staggered closer to the pair, and uncovered her face. She was about to answer but had a coughing fit instead. Asami brushed past her and towards the boat, covering her face as she got closer.

“When was the last time you changed the oil on this?” Asami called out as she swung a leg into the boat.

“Do what?” Lin barked back between coughs.

Asami shook her head as she tentatively touched the motor. It was scalding hot and she quickly retracted her fingers.

“Why don’t you two go ahead! Don’t want the food to get all smokey. I’ll take care of this!”

Korra nodded and motioned to Lin. “Grab those two boxes in Asami’s boat.”

Lin coughed a few more times and then collected the remaining boxes.

After dropping off the food Korra made her way back to the docks, since Asami still hadn’t caught up with them. She reached the point where the steps down began and she could see the dock below. Asami’s boat had a few compartments open and her blouse and Future Industries jacket laid out on the steering wheel. Asami herself was bent over the back of Lin’s boat, tinkering.

When Korra reached the bottom of the steps she stopped to watch Asami rise up from her bent-over position to stretch her arms over her head. Asami was only wearing a tank top, so Korra could see her shoulder muscles flex as her girlfriend worked out the stiffness.

Asami felt eyes on her, and she turned around. A smile spread as she looked at Korra. The Avatar blushed, as she noticed her mouth had gone slack. She quickly returned her bottom jaw to the rest of her face and waited for Asami to throw a tease her way, but she didn’t. Asami flicked her hair over her shoulders and went back to working on the motor.

“Can you grab me a few extra nuts from the tool box on my boat?” Asami called out, breaking the silence.

“I could go get you a more filling snack from the temple too, if you’re hungry. I think the party’s ready to start.”

Asami swifty turned her head to check the seriousness of Korra’s statement. The Avatar blinked a few times but did not crack a smile, so Asami did instead.

“Oh you’re so cute.”

Korra tried to fight the blush that was returning to her face. She cleared her throat and moved towards her girlfriend’s boat. She puffed out her chest and put on a serious face in an attempt to recover some dignity. “What do they look like?”

“Kind of like nuts, actually,” Asami called back.

Korra was now in the boat, looking down at the tools and boxes strewn about on the deck. She squatted down on her knees and picked up a few small metal pieces.

‘They all look kinda like nuts,’ she thought to herself. After a few moments of picking around she noticed a shadow over her. Korra turned her head back to see Asami’s smiling face hovering above her.

Korra held out the bits she had picked out up towards Asami for inspection. Asami reach out a hand and picked the pieces she was looking for. “These are ‘nuts’. See how they look like acorns? That’s what my father told me.”

“Yeah, I guess they kinda do.”

Asami put the nuts in her pocket and used her free hand to grab Korra’s chin. She bent down farther over the rim of the boat to press their lips together. Korra earnestly kissed back, putting her hands on the deck to keep her crouched position stable.

A wolf whistle eventually interrupted their kiss. The couple looked up to the top of the dock steps to see Opal and Bolin waving down at them.

“Stop being such clichés and come get some food!” Opal teased through cupped hands.

Asami snuck in another kiss before pulling herself upright. “You go ahead. After I throw these nuts on, I’ll need to put my face back on.”

“What did you mean by cliché?” Korra asked, catching up with Bolin and Opal.

Opal flashed a grin as she patted the Avatar’s shoulder. “C’mon Korra, you two down there in your sleeveless shirts, making out in a pile of tools.”

“Yeah,” Korra said, deadpan.

Opal turned to Bolin. “Help me out here.”

Bolin shrugged, darting his eyes between the two girls.

“I guess you haven’t been around a lot of queer people. You guys even live in the city.” Opal sighed. “We had this all-girl satobike gang. Take that term lightly, it was more like a club. I’d see them hanging around the downtown area of Zaofu.”

Korra and Bolin exchanged looks, causing Opal to sigh again.

“Forget I said anything.”

***

Jinora silently watched as the whole temple congregated on the island’s training grounds. The paper lanterns were lit and strewn about the courtyard, casting small pools of yellow light on the ground. All the temple’s moveable tables were lined up in a row, covered in food: bowls of different kinds of rice, beans on one end, veggie platters provided by Asami on the other. On a table set a few feet away were the dessert options; macaroons made by her mother and red bean cakes, again from Asami.

People had broken up into small groups, and were sitting and eating around the courtyard. So many conversations were happening that she could only pick up tid-bits from each group. Mako looked miserable, seated between her father and Lin. The two elders appeared to be having a conversation with each other, and Mako had somehow got stuck in the middle, too polite to leave. Korra, Asami, Opal and Ikki were laughing at the antics of Bolin. He was standing a few steps above the ones the rest of the group were seated at, making it look like he was performing on a small stage.

Jinora’s eyes and interest were trying to wander everywhere but to Kai and his gang of five. Since she couldn’t find anything captivating in the crowd, she looked to her mother who she was seated next to. Pema was feeding her youngest brother Rohan, as she did every mealtime. The thought had recently crossed Jinora’s mind that her mother must be relieved that she no longer had to be the mother of an entire nation, thanks to harmonic convergence. Would Rohan be her last sibling or did her parents still plan on having more children, despite the pressure to repopulate the Air Nation being gone? That pressure was now also off her and her siblings as well, not that they were probably ever aware of it.

The thought of her brothers and sister being married with children was just too weird. Jinora shook her head, and her mother finally seemed to take notice of her presence.

Pema shifted Rohan from one leg to the other in her lap and turned to face her daughter more. “You haven’t stayed this close to me at a party since you were Meelo’s age. Don’t you want to sit with Kai, or at least Korra and the others?”

Jinora looked down at her plate of food. It was mostly untouched. “I don’t really feel very social tonight…”

“Your father told me that President Raiko has given you a special appointment.”

“Yeah, we’ll see if he remembers. He didn’t know me from Ikki…” Jinora murmured as her eyes moved to the final part of the courtyard she hadn’t looked at. Her eyes finally fixed on Kai. He was sitting, a plate of food in his lap. The five boys who were also going were with him, and some of the other airbenders close in age gathered around them. They all seemed to be fixed on a heated discussion between Riyu and Otaku. Well, it looked more heated on Otaku’s end; nothing ever seemed to get a rise out of Riyu. Otaku was likely correcting some misinformation.

“Still, I’m proud of you,” Pema continued.

Jinora almost flinched, forgetting her mother in that moment. “Thanks Mom… I’m gonna go get some fresh air… or fresher air…” She set aside her plate, rose from her seat and quickly walked away from her mother and the party.

***

Korra laughed as Bolin cartoonishly reenacted their encounter with the tigerpillar spirit from the morning. The exchange was a lot more amusing now that everyone was out of harm’s way.

Ikki was on the edge of her seat in Asami’s lap, which the gangly preteen was spilling out of. Her eyes were as big as the plates they were eating from.

Asami turned to Korra, shaking her head slightly. “I can't believe those two went back into the Spirit World.”

“Guess he really didn't have a choice. No one in the south wanted to give him a lift back to Republic City.”

“That I can believe. Maybe he’ll ship off to the Fire Nation next. As far as I know it’s the only country he hasn’t screwed over.”

Mention of the Fire Nation caused an anxious feeling to wash over Korra’s body. Asami had turned her attention to Ikki, so she didn’t notice. It took Korra a minute to think of why it felt like she had forgotten something she was supposed to do. Then it came it her.

That’s where Kuvira is.

After their parting in the desert she had given the former dictator little thought. It dawned on her just how much faith they were putting on Kuvira’s willingness to live a quiet civilian life. She was in a strange land; it’d be unlikely for her to find any sympathizers, and if she was discovered the Fire Nation wouldn’t hesitate to turn her in.

Kuvira should know this and wouldn’t willingly out herself. They would just have to cross their fingers for the rest of their lives and hope she was never accidentally caught. For a few seconds Korra considered saying something to Varrick if he did go that way, but she quickly thought better of it.

I’m just going to have to leave this one alone.

“Thinking about Kuvira?”

Korra slumped her shoulders close to Asami’s head “Yeah... you mentioned the Fire Nation… and-”

“It got me wondering how she’s faring myself.”

“You don’t need to care about her, I’d understand if-”

Asami shrugged and cut her girlfriend off. “It’s more just curiosity. What’s it like to go from being one of the most recognized faces to total anonymity? Is it possible?”

Ikki’s ears perked up and she pulled herself out of Asami’s lap to sit properly next to her. She looked between the older girls. “Dad once told us a story about Lord Zuko, grandpa Aang’s friend. He hid in the Earth Kingdom with his uncle in a tea shop. They became pretty famous! No one even realized he was the fire prince, despite having a huge burn scar on his face. Dad said something about how it shows that people often see what they want to see, or was it that when you are lost on the inside it shows on the outside... I just like to imagine Kuvira’s working at a tea shop now.”

Korra grinned. “You never know, it’s a good cover, probably one of the last places I’d look for her at.”

“All this talk of tea makes me want a cup,” Asami said offhandedly.

“Me too, let’s go make some!” Ikki said, leaping up from her seat. “Korra, you want any?”

Korra waved the young girl off and watched the pair leave. She looked down to her plate for a moment before noticing Asami’s empty spot had been filled.

“Having a good time, Avatar Korra?” Zhou Rhen asked tentatively.

The Avatar forced herself not to roll her eyes. “Yeah, fine time.”

Bolin’s story had finished and he and Opal were eyeing Zhou Rhen curiously.

Opal stretched out a hand. “Hi, I’m Opal.”

Graciously the counselor took her hand. “Zhou Rhen.”

Bolin took the cue and also extended a hand. “Bolin. So what is it you do?”

Zhou Rhen glanced to Korra, but her eyes were fixed to her plate.

“I’m with the White Lotus. I’m here to counsel Avatar Korra through her uh, ‘coming out’ with Miss Sato.”

“Oh, cool,” Opal responded hesitantly.

Bolin nodded enthusiastically. “Oh yeah, that’s really nice. What do you think of these crazy kids, getting together, against the odds, braving their love against the big world?”

“Bolin!” Korra barked.

He cowered and grimaced. “What?”

The Avatar shot up in her seat, tossing her plate on the steps. “I’m gonna go get some tea too!”

The three silently watched Korra storm off. Bolin sunk down in his seat and anxiously looked between the remaining two. “What’d I say?”

Opal shook her head and turned to Zhou Rhen. “Lemme guess, she doesn’t want your counsel?”

Zhou Rhen glumly shook his head.

“Why not? It’s good to talk through your problems, and even better with a professional, right?” Bolin asked. “Right?”

“Of course, but I don’t think Korra sees it as a problem.”

“What’s not a problem?”

Opal rolled her eyes. “Her and Asami.”

“Me neither! I think it’s great, still kinda unexpected, but great,” Bolin replied scrunching his shoulder and waving his hands.

“Yes, we all think it’s great, but those of us around Korra who are a little more in tune with the world know this is not going to be easy. Once it’s out there, everyone’s going to put in their two yuans about it. Some might even denounce her as Avatar.”

“That’s terrible!” Bolin whined.

Opal shot Zhou Rhen a look. “I’m not wrong.”

The counselor shook his head.

“I’m sure it’s all slowly sinking in for Korra, too. She needs to know you’re on her side in this. Are you on her side?”

Zhou Rhen broke away from Opal’s piercing gaze.

Opal shook her head, and crossed her arms.

“I know what you must be thinking, but I’m not against Avatar Korra. I’m just…”

“You’re just here to talk her out of it,” Opal said confidently, leaning back in her seat. “It would be a real headache for the White Lotus if people started denouncing the Avatar.”

Zhou Rhen shakily pushed his glasses back up his nose. “It’s just such an unknown. We cannot predict how this will all play out. The Avatar is more than her… the Avatar’s life is…”

“Her own,” Bolin said sternly. “And she deserves to be happy and not be afraid to share who she is with the world. I’ve never given two thoughts about President Raiko’s personal life. And maybe people will be a little surprised at first, but they’ll get over it. I think there are very few people worrying about who the Avatar’s dating, and more about if she’s doing her job. So I don’t want to hear any more negative talk from either of you. We must all unite around our friend and show the rest of the world that it. Does. Not. Matter!”

Bolin released a big breath of air he was holding in during his speech when he noticed the courtyard had gone quiet. “Uh, go back to your partying, people! Big day tomorrow for our brave young airbenders!” He started to clap nervously. Opal and Zhou Rhen started too, getting the rest of the group to applause.

“Yeah, let’s hear it for these guys!” Bolin cheered.

***

Jinora sat alone on a rock overlooking the water, and beyond that, Republic City. Bright towers were dispersed amongst big dark pockets. She still thought it was a beautiful view.

“So this is where you’ve been hiding. I thought my girlfriend would want to hang out with me on my last night in the city?” Kai asked as he walked out from a dark shadow.

“I just needed a little fresh air…” Jinora replied, turning her body to face his.

Kai crossed his arms across his chest and stopped a few feet before the shore. “For an hour?”

“Maybe I was hoping you’d come looking for me.”

“Aren’t we past that stage in the relationship?”

“Ikki’s woman’s magazine I found under her bunk says “the chase” is important for keeping a long term relationship exciting,” Jinora replied, trying to sound confident in her position, though her words kept catching in her throat. She could see Kai wasn’t buying it.

“I didn’t think you were the kind of girl who read those stupid things.”

Jinora mirrored her boyfriend’s stance and crossed her own arms. “I’m not, I said it was Ikki’s.”

“So what are you doing out here? Are you upset I’m leaving? We talked about this.”

“Yes I’m upset, I’m going to miss you!”

“Then why would you avoid me all night?” Kai asked, holding out his arms to her.

Jinora reflectively turned away. “I don’t know, it’s easier? You all seem so excited, I don’t want to be a downer.”

“So don’t be. C’mon let’s go back,” Kai said, gesturing to the soft glow of the party in the distance.

“Can’t we stay out here instead? Spend some time alone together before you’re gone for months on end?” 

Kai’s body slumped. His nose and mouth twitched like he was going to respond, but he stayed silent.

“You want to go back to the party?”

“With you!” Kai urged.

“I’m staying here.”

Kai let out a sigh. “Okay, we can stay here.”

He started to shuffle closer.

“Not if you’re going to be like that. Just go back to your party. I don’t want you here if you’re just going to sit and wish you were somewhere else.”

“Jinora, it’s not like that.”

“Maybe, but it’s still true. Just go!”

Kai scrunched up his face, turned on his heels and headed back towards the party.

Jinora wasn’t sure how much time had passed when she heard the sound of crunching sand and rock encroaching on her quiet viewpoint. She had been lost in thought, replaying her exchange with Kai over and over.

“Hi Jinora.”

The young airbender turned her head around to see Zhou Rhen coming towards her.

“May I join you?” Zhou Rhen continued. Jinora didn’t reply, so he decided to settle for a nearby rock. He lifted the bottom of his robes and sat down facing the same direction as Jinora.

The two silently listened to the steady white noise that came off the ocean. It was interrupted every so often by the splashing of a wave on the rocks, or a loud party goer at the temple.

Zhou Rhen could hear Jinora shifting a bit before breaking her silence. “What are you still even doing here? Korra doesn’t want to talk to you.”

“Until she formally dismisses me, I will stay.”

“She might just not know that’s what she needs to do to get rid of you. I’ll tell her tomorrow. You can start packing tonight.”

Zhou Rhen winced at Jinora’s harsh tone. He clenched his fists into his robes and pushed through his nervousness. “I had an eye-opening conversation with Miss Opal. She helped me realize that I was coming from the wrong place to help Avatar Korra.”

“Yeah, I told you that too.”

“I want to see this situation from the Avatar’s perspective so I truly can help her. I accept that she is going to go through with this no matter what me or the rest of the White Lotus says.”

Jinora turned to look at Zhou Rhen. “You’re serious?”

“Yes. Master Jinora, I ask you for your help. Teach me about the Avatar.”

 

To be continued...

Chapter 33: Scattering Leaves

Notes:

Thank you for editing TheToasterMarketingBoard you always bring the chapter together at the end!

Chapter Text

Zhou Rhen rose with the sun, as he did every morning, in spite of how little sleep he’d had the previous night. He hadn’t gone to bed too much later than usual. The send-off party had died down close to midnight, and the temple quickly fell quiet and dark. Once Zhou Rhen had tucked himself into his bunk, he’d been unable to get his eyes to close. He was too anxious thinking about the meeting he had planned with Master Jinora. He wasn’t sure what to expect from their training session, but she had made an offhand comment that he was going to need a lot of work.

Zhou Rhen looked at himself the best he could in his reflection in the window of his dorm room. He had quickly learned that the pious Air Nation felt that mirrors were not a furnishing necessity. If he wanted a mirror he’d have to wander to the mens’ baths, which would be pretty full at this time of the morning with acolytes and benders fighting over the best view to shave their heads. The conditions of being an underling in the White Lotus weren’t half as archaic.

“Maybe I can talk to Master Tenzin about at least getting my own room at some point?”

Zhou Rhen met Jinora in the courtyard by the gazebo, as per their agreement. The young bender was seated on a flat rock, and pointed to a similar one beside her.

Zhou Rhen gave a little nod and sat down. He slipped a hand into his robe to retrieve his notepad and pencil.

Jinora didn’t wait for him to settle before starting. “If you’re going to build a relationship with Korra, you need to start working alongside her. Talking about thoughts and feelings are not really her uh, strong points. She’s more of the jock type. We’re all a part of her team, I’m sure you’ve heard someone throw around ‘Team Avatar.’ That’s how it works around here, and she’s not going to feel comfortable opening up to you until she feels like you are a part of this team.”

Zhou Rhen nodded as he feverishly took notes.

“And you should probably lose the whole notebook thing, at least for now. Write up your White Lotus reports at the end of the day. Be in the moment.”

Zhou Rhen’s lips moved as he silently repeated Jinora’s words as he wrote them, but stopped when Jinora put a hand on the book, and slowly started to lower it away from his face.

The young man blushed and pulled the book the rest of the way down, then slid it into his robe pocket. “Right.”

“Do you meditate?” Jinora asked, cocking her head.

“A little…” he replied hesitantly. “The White Lotus encourage it, so I try but… I just close my eyes and well, sit there. It’s relaxing enough, a good opportunity to think.”

Jinora shook her head. “Reflecting while meditating is fine, but I bet your mind is going a mile a minute when you do it?”

Zhou Rhen smiled sheepishly. Jinora noted it was the first time she had ever seen anything resembling a smile come from the counselor since his arrival.

“C’mon, let’s try a session,” Jinora said, ushering him inside the gazebo. “You know, meditation was something Korra had a hard time learning too.”

The pair made their way up the gazebo’s small steps. Jinora pointed to a spot for Zhou Rhen to sit at, then took a seat beside him. She adjusted her legs into the lotus position, and watched to make sure Zhou Rhen did too.

“So what would you like to meditate on?” Jinora asked curiously.

Zhou Rhen put a hand to his chin to consider.

“Nothing to do with Korra. I want this session to be about you,” Jinora urged.

“I would like to quiet my mind more… I feel like I have so many questions, and ideas and words in my head…”

Jinora nodded and faced seaward. “Okay, so bring your hands to your lap. Make them into fists, and bring those two fists together, interlocking your knuckles.”

Zhou Rhen clumsily mirrored her position, looking towards Jinora as he waited for further instructions.

“Eyes forward and closed. Now let your mind go blank.”

The young man moved to push the bridge of his glasses back up his nose.

“Just take those off, seeing isn’t important,” Jinora commanded, not opening her eyes.

Zhou Rhen blinked a few times and obeyed, setting his eyewear beside him. His eyes closed and he waited. He could hear the sounds of air bison bellowing and a few male voices in the courtyard behind him. His body itched to turn and look, but he remained still.

“Let the lingering thoughts in your mind come to their natural conclusion. If you’re thinking about a situation you cannot control, acknowledge that it is out of your hands and let it go… Imagine you are a tree…”

Zhou Rhen tried to imagine a tree, and found himself picturing the old camphor that was in the courtyard of the White Lotus temple he had trained at. It was his prefered place to sit and read old scrolls. His favorites were the adventures of young Avatar Aang, as told by Sokka. Sokka hadn’t written the scrolls, but he was interviewed several times because he was the most enthusiastic recanter of the Avatar’s traveling companions.

“Here I go, wandering off again...” Zhou Rhen forced himself to focus on the words of the young master beside him. Jinora was still softly speaking, but now he could hear a hitch in her voice.

“Let your problems, preconceived notions, even expectations slowly drift away like leaves from your branches,” Jinora said, her words wavering.

Zhou opened his eyes and turned to the girl beside him. A small tear had crept through her closed eye, and dashed down her cheek.

“It is fall, you must shed your old worries. You must enter the winter bare so you can be re-born in the spring.”

***

The sun was high in the sky as Korra, Bolin, Opal and Mako stood outside the spirit portal. Unconsciously Korra had stepped apart from her three friends, and currently stood them down with her arms crossed.

“I think we can take him,” Korra repeated for the fifth time.

Mako let out a long sigh before replying. “We’re lucky he hasn’t swiped a massive paw through the portal and flattened us. He’s blocking the door, he has the upper hand, it is not worth it.”

“Well then, will you at least come back with me later? He can’t stay there all day.”

“He’s practically been there all day,” Opal added. “And I’m sure all last night. I don’t think time is an issue for him.”

Korra groaned and stomped her foot. She could still see the tigerpillar’s big angry face resting inches from the portal from this morning. Korra had been the first one to enter the Spirit World. She had asked the group to go back with her just to make sure everything was fine after their encounter the previous day. When she entered she had nearly walked into the tigerpillar spirit’s growling mouth. Korra fortunately noticed right away, backpedaled and knocked the rest of gang back into the physical world. Four hours later and the tigerpillar was still camped out in front of the portal on the Spirit World side, blocking the group’s way in.

“What if we meditate in there and-”

“But Bolin and I can’t do that,” Mako said, cutting Korra off.

“And if we could, aren’t we not able to bend that way?” Bolin added.

Opal crossed the distance between her and the Avatar and put a hand on her shoulder. “I think we’ve accomplished what we set out to do Korra. Varrick and Zhu Li were probably the only ones wandering around in there, and they’re out. We don’t want anyone else going inside, and the tigerpillar will for sure keep anyone out.”

Korra bit her lip and stared at her feet as she listened to Opal. Her head turned at the low rumble of vehicles approaching.

Bolin pointed his thumb at the encroaching trucks. “Who sent for reinforcements?”

Three trucks bobbed and weaved over the massive tangle of vines towards the portal. They stopped a few feet from the group. Men and women in jumpsuits exited the vehicles. A rather tall, middle aged woman of what looked like Earth Kingdom descent sprinted ahead of her group, halted in front of Korra, and gave her a salute. The others behind her stopped and mirrored the action.

“Avatar Korra, we are here on behalf of President Raiko to build a fence around the spirit portal per your and Miss Sato’s request!”

Korra felt her face start to redden at the mention of her and Asami together. Awkwardly she saluted back. “Uh, yeah, thank you.”

The woman lowered her saluting hand and turned to her crew. “Alright, let’s get started.”

“Raiko never moves this fast on anything,” Korra murmured to Mako, Bolin and Opal as they watched the new arrivals start to unload pieces of metal fencing from the back of their trucks.

Korra suddenly had a thought and she cupped her hands and called out to the tall woman who was supervising the crew unloading. “Hey, uh, chief, you weren’t planning on putting any fencing on the inside of the portal, right?”

The woman turned around and smiled “Peizhi, ma’am, and no, should we?”

Korra shook her head furiously. “No, do not let your crew go in there, or even close to it. It’s not safe.”

Peizhi dipped her head for a slight bow. “Thanks for the heads up.”

“Alright Korra, I think this means we can go now,” Mako urged.

The Avatar nodded and was the first of the four to step away from the portal.

***

Mako drove the group back towards the dock in a police cruiser borrowed from Lin. Bolin was seated in front with him in the passenger seat, while Korra and Opal occupied the back. Mako watched the Avatar gloomily stare out her window in his mirror.

“So what are we gonna do now? Any more Team Avatar stuff, or is it cool if I go over to Asami’s office?” Bolin asked aloud to no one in particular. “She’s going to hook me up with some more clean-up work. Korra, it’s earthbending if you wanna do it too?”

Bolin turned back to grin at Korra, but she kept her chin in her palm and eyes out the window. “Manual labor is a little below your Avatar paygrade. You prolly got some meetings or something you need to go to.”

Bolin shifted awkwardly in his seat as his companions continued to not respond. “So Mako, you gonna go back to work for Lin? Bet there’s plenty of hoodlums to wrangle since the destruction.”

“Yeah, I’m actually going over to the station after I drop you guys off at the docks,” Mako replied.

“Oh, could you drop me off at Asami’s office then?”

“Sure.”

“You guys are going to come back with me tomorrow though, right?” Korra asked, finally looking away from her window.

The brothers exchanged glances.

“If you want to, sure…” Bolin stammered.

Mako rotated the wheel, taking the last turn to enter the docks. “Is it really necessary? We did our sweep, the portal’s closed to the public, what else needs to be done?”

Korra wrinkled her nose. “I dunno, make sure that big spirit isn’t still sitting there? We still don’t know the causes of the time anomalies. I wouldn’t consider this ‘cased closed’, detective,” she said, making air quotations.

The Satomobile stopped, but the group remained seated.

“The tigerpillar spirit did say that humans’ presence has an effect on the Spirit World. Maybe we should leave it alone for a little while?” Opal said, with a shrug of her shoulders.

“I was thinking the same thing. I mean Korra, you didn’t notice something was wrong until you… you and Asami were in there,” Mako added.

Opal nodded. “And for a considerable amount of time too. I wasn’t around for harmonic convergence, but I doubt you guys spent days in there?”

Korra furrowed her brow as her eyes darted around her companions. Bolin wiped at the sweat forming at his brow and then held his hands out defensively towards the Avatar.

“I don’t think Opal and Mako are suggesting you’re the cause, but I think they might be onto something. Why don’t we let the Spirit World cool off for a bit and check back in a few weeks?”

“Fine,” Korra said with a pout. She unbuckled herself, and pushed the door open. She slammed it behind her and marched off towards the boats.

Opal and the others stayed and watched her go.

“Maybe I’ll stay with you for a bit Bolin…”

***

Aasmi was slumped over her drafting desk as she attempted to figure out how to apply her current road structure system over the new vines entangled around the spirit portal, the area her and her team were now referring to as ‘ground zero’. She placed a large piece of vellum over the current topographical map of the downtown area and drew a large circle in the middle to represent the problem area. She circled it a few extra times with her pencil as she thought.

“Perhaps a raised roundabout that surrounds the portal’s perimeter… We can then salvage the area above the vines, and still leave a space for the portal…”

Asami looked up when she heard a knock on her office door. “Come in.”

Kali poked her head through the door. “Miss Sato, Bolin and Opal are here to see you.”

“You may let them in,” Asami replied, leaning back into her seat. She pulled herself up by the shoulders, noticing how badly she was slouching before.

Bolin and Opal entered her office; both gave her a small sheepish wave. Asami rose to meet them.

“What brings you two here? I hope everything is alright?” Asami sat back down, and swiveled her chair away to face the pair. Bolin claimed a seat at the larger meeting table and Opal followed

Bolin waved his hand and made a little pfft . “Your girlfriend’s a little mad at us, but that’s not exactly why we’re here.”

Asami quirked an eyebrow

Bolin grinned sheepishly. “We wanted to see if you were ready for that double date we promised this weekend.”

“You want to do this while Korra is mad at you?”

“I think this quarrel can be resolved by stuffing our faces together,” Bolin replied as he puffed out his belly and gave it a few pats.

Opal rolled her eyes as she watched her boyfriend play with his stomach. “We were thinking we’d find nice restaurant downtown that’s operating again, get some dinner and then experience a little bit of the culture.”

“Take her mind off the portal,” Bolin added.

“Has something else happened there?” Asami asked.

“That big spirit is still guarding the portal, and Raiko’s got a team working on blocking it off to the public. We think now’s a good time to let the place cool off for a bit while we work on other problems,” Opal replied.

Asami leaned back in her chair. “There is so much to do, it’s overwhelming. If we could knock that off our plates temporarily, I wouldn’t mind either. What do you need our Avatar for?” 

Opal and Bolin exchanged looks.

“Nothing, we just feel like we’re needed elsewhere. Mako too,” Bolin said.

“So you want out of this adventure?”

“Temporarily yes, and we told her that, but she took it really hard for some reason,” Opal replied with a shrug.

Asami bowed her head to put her chin in her hand. “Jinora has been appointed by Raiko to oversee Spirit World relations, and I spoke with her about the need for data before we can make any real assessment. I can encourage Korra to work with Jinora during this research phase. It’s not high action, but it is very time consuming.”

“And if they discover something, if the problem is real, we are there, one hundred percent,” Opal said, holding a hand to her chest. Bolin feverishly nodded beside her.

“I’ll let you be the ones to reassure Korra over our dinner,” Asami sighed.

***

After exiting the Satomobile, Korra headed towards the docks but stopped right before the steps when she heard Mako drive away.

“What am I going do back at the island? Tenzin’s just as unconcerned about the Spirit World, and I don’t want to bug Jinora today, she must be sad that Kai left…”

The Avatar looked around her and took note of a cluster of large crates by the water’s edge. Each one was about half her height, and stacked up two or three high. There was one single crate, facing the water with the rest like pillars around it. Korra walked over to it and climbed up to sit on the single crate. The other crates created an alcove so anyone on the other side could not see her sitting there. She closed her eyes and put her fists together.

The afternoon sun was pleasantly warm on her face and the lapping of the water against the pier helped to ease the tension in her body. Korra soon found herself slipping away, at first she thought to sleep until she noticed her world was becoming brighter, not darker. The Avatar’s feet touched down onto the lime green grass of the Spirit World. It was not a place she was familiar with, but it did not seem threatening. Just one of the many open plains of the Spirit World.

In the distance she could see a herd of quadruped spirits grazing. Above her a spirit flew lazily in the sky, circling the area. It reminded her of one of the first days of their vacation.

They had traveled out to the plains, before they had gotten any sort of direction from the spirits, before she had given up hope of finding Iroh and before she told Asami how she felt.

They had been walking all morning in a seemingly endless open field. There was a path carved out through the tall grass, but no sign of any creature with that ability. The path just seemed to have always been there, like part of the landscape. It happened to guide you under every occasional tree that was sparsely scattered among the plains. One of them wondered aloud if it was intentional so you could get a little shade.

Asami suggested a rest, so they stopped below the next tree they passed under. Over the course of their trip, the pair had settled into a wordless routine when they took a break. Korra would lay out her thick woolen blanket, then do a quick check of the area to make sure there were no dangerous spirits lurking about. Asami would pull out their provisions and lay out a small snack and a waterskin.

More often than not they sat in silence. They had talked so much their first few days, about Kuvira, the attack on Republic City, Prince Wu’s future plans, the wedding, but very little about themselves, Korra was able to note now as she thought back.

It wasn’t an uncomfortable silence, quite the opposite. It was as easy as the quiet she enjoyed right now. It was the comfort of being alone, but she wasn’t alone. Korra had never felt like that with anyone before. She had always felt some pressure to say or do something when around another person. The Avatar hoped Asami felt it too. During that time she hoped the taller girl felt many things.

As they sat in silence, they exchanged glances and shy smiles. Korra remembered being so distracted that she didn’t notice a spirit had crept up besides them and started poking its snout into Asami’s bag. The spirit had a shrewish face, with a long snout, and a shelled body. The girls both jumped, startling the spirit in turn. It shot out its long tongue, circling it around a small food sack about its size and pulling with little effect.

Korra giggled. “They’re just looking for a snack.”

“Do spirits eat real food?” Asami asked, moving to reach for the sack. The spirit saw her hand coming and pulled harder, just barely moving the bag an inch.

Korra shrugged. “Why not? Give it a hand.”

“I’ll give it some, but I’m not letting it go off with the whole satchel.”

Asami lifted up the sack, and the spirit reluctantly recoiled its tongue back into its snout. She reached in and pulled out a small pita and offered it in her hand. The shrew spirit warily darted its tongue over the flat circle, trying to grasp an edge. Asami folded the pita into a half moon, and the spirit was able to get its tongue around it. Then like a spring trap, it pulled back its tongue and the pita to its face. The spirit darted off down the path without looking back.

“You’re welcome!” Korra called out to the spirit as it disappeared behind a curve in the path. The two girls broke into a giggle and exchanged glances. After their laughter died down, Asami inched closer and rested her head on Korra’s shoulder.

“I’m so glad we’re doing this,” Asami sighed.

Korra’s face flushed, both in her memory and in the present. The fluttery nervous feeling she had in her stomach at the time washed over her too.

Suddenly the spirit herd broke into a gallop. Korra looked around to see what might have disturbed them, but she saw no new presence. Then she felt the quivering of the ground below.

“It feels like that damn tigerpillar again.”

Korra didn’t wait to find out, and allowed her spirit to slip out of the Spirit World and back into her body. As soon as she was reunited with the physical world Korra’s eyes flashed open. She rose from her seated position, scaled the crates until she was on the tallest stack and looked towards the portal. She could hear in her head the conversation she’d had with the tigerpillar yesterday.

“As the Avatar you should know WHY I am angry. And you should be angry too!”

“What am I guilty of?”

“Using the Spirit World as your personal vacation spot. You can’t just loiter about the Spirit World with no purpose, thinking there won’t be consequences.”

“How could what Asami and I did in the Spirit World be wrong? He’s just a grumpy old spirit, unless Varrick and Zhu Li did something far worse than I caught…” Korra let out a groan and pinched the bridge of her nose. She eventually let her face go and turned to face the horizon over the water. The sun was starting to set; she had been gone way longer than she thought. The stiffness she felt in her joints told her that it wasn’t a spirit time-jump, but she really had been meditating that long. She clumsily hopped down from the crates and ambled to the docks to catch a ride back to the temple.

When she arrived, it was a stark contrast from the previous night. The grounds were empty, save for a small group of airbenders practicing some stances. She almost did a double take when she saw Jinora sitting with Zhou Rhen, talking as they observed the airbending group’s practice.

Korra kept walking, daring one more look back at the pair. She scratched the back of her head and headed towards the main temple building. Sliding open the dining room door, she found Ikki setting the table.

“Hi Korra!” the young airbender said gleefully. She walked the perimeter of the table, laying down cloth napkins, and stopped mid placement. “Oh! Asami wanted me to tell you that she’s going to be a little late, but is coming over here, so eat without her.”

Korra pouted. “Why? Where is she?”

“Asami said she had some things she needed to do at her old house, didn’t say what. I offered to help, but she said she needed to do it alone.” Ikki sighed, laying the last napkin in her hand down.

“That’s weird…”

***

After a few hours of impatient waiting, Tenzin suggested Korra should just go check on her. Korra touched down on the front walkway leading up to Asami’s family mansion. She retracted the wings of her staff and held it to her side. It dawned on Korra that even though she had been here a few months ago dropping Prince Wu off, she couldn’t remember the last time she had actually gone inside the building.

Korra tried the door; it was unlocked, but still took some effort to open given its size. The large atrium wasn’t lit, but a few random rooms down the hall were. The sun likely had set after Asami had come in, and she was turning lights on as needed.

There weren’t many signs that Grandma Yin and company had ever been there. Korra had noted that the mansion had always lacked a lot of personal effects on display, looking more like a public building than a home, so why would it be any different now?

Korra checked all the rooms downstairs with lights on, and went back into to the atrium, right before the lavish staircase to the next floor.

“Asami?” Korra called out, realizing she could have done this from the start. “You in here?”

The Avatar strained to hear what she thought might have been a sound from upstairs. She called out again and started to walk up the many steps. Korra’s hand found the rich oak bannister, and effortlessly slid up it. The feeling made her heart skip a beat and she stopped.

“A-Asami?”

“I’m here! I’m in my bedroom!” Asami called back.

Korra’s heart then began to double its pace and she suddenly felt very nervous. She swallowed hard before replying, “Okay!”

Korra made it up the last step, onto the second floor foyer and paused.

“Why does this feel so familiar?” she wondered, eyeing her surroundings.

At the end of the of the hallway, a soft light peeked out from the open door, highlighting a slice of the deep red carpet. As Korra moved closer she could hear music playing softly. The song was ending, and as she broached the door Korra heard the soft click and scratch of the needle leaving the record.

Korra made it to the open door frame and peered in. Asami was seated in front of her vanity, slowing brushing out her hair. She watched for a moment as Asami’s delicate pale hands guided the bristles through her thick black mane.

Asami broke the silence, as she swiveled in her padded stool to meet her girlfriend’s eyes. “Hey.”

“I uh… got worried,” Korra managed to murmur.

“I’m sorry. I got kind of caught up here… I don’t even know what I’m doing, I just felt like I needed to come back. It’s strange, now that this house truly is mine … He’s never coming back here.”

Tears began to sneak out of the corners of Asami’s eyes and down her cheeks. Korra finally moved from the door frame and knelt down beside the stool. Asami’s hands reflexively moved towards her face to catch the tears, but Korra’s hands intercepted and brought them to her chest. 

“I’m so sorry about your father…” Korra started.

Asami weakly smiled and shook her head. She leaned down and placed her lips on Korra’s forehead.

The Avatar closed her eyes at the contact. “Right, no talking about the past.”

Asami moved her lips along Korra’s forehead, placing them on her temple, and down her left cheek, quickly moving to her right.

“Shouldn’t I be the one comforting you with kisses?” Korra murmured. She released Asami’s hands, and moved her own to her girlfriend’s face. Korra eased Asami’s head back far enough so they could meet each other’s eyes.

Korra examined Asami’s face, and really tried to see what her girlfriend needed. She was almost startled to see Asami’s olive green eyes were searching right back. The Avatar’s heart began to race under the intense gaze and she found herself blurting out, “Do you want to sleep here tonight?”

Asami looked down, breaking the contact. Korra looked around the room. It was clearly Asami’s; elegant furniture mixed with technical drawings tacked to the wall. In the middle of the room was a large bed, with tall posts covered by a silky red canopy  “I didn’t realize you didn’t take any of your furniture to your apartment… I guess I’ve never really been in this room.”

Asami cracked a smile. “I never figured out a way to get you up here,” she said, wiping clear tear stained cheeks with her newly freed hands.

“Really, would you like to stay here for the night?” Korra asked again.

“And you’d stay with me?”

Korra gave her a crooked smile back. “I wouldn’t want you sleeping in a big house all by your lonesome.”

Asami wiped her eyes a few more times, while she looked around the room.

“Okay, but you better call Pema so no one else comes looking for me.”

***

Korra tapped her finger on the receiver as she waited for someone to pick up.

“Wang’s fish fry, you kill em’ we’ll grill em’,” a young male voice said casually over the line.

“Meelo?”

“Yeah, what’ll it be?”

The Avatar rolled her eyes as she switched hands. “It’s Korra, can you put your mother on?”

Meelo groaned and called out to his mother. “Mom! Korra’s on the phone. She’s coming.”

“Great.”

There was a brief pause between the two. Korra imagined Meelo was likely sitting in the phone room, carelessly picking at his nose.

“So, whatcha doing?” the young airbender finally asked.

“Uh, at Asami’s house.”

“Doing what?”

Korra’s heart began to pick up its pace again. “N-nothing! You know what, you can just take a message-”

“Here’s Mom,” Meelo said, cutting her off. The line went silent for a moment as it passed hands.

“Korra, is everything alright?” Pema asked.

The Avatar slapped a hand to her face. “Yes, I feel silly for dragging you to the phone. I just wanted to let you know, so no one would worry, that I’m not coming home tonight.”

“Oh, that’s fine. Thank you for checking in.”

Korra could feel Pema waiting for her to respond with a sign off. Something kept the Avatar on the phone. The words were in her mouth, but they wouldn’t move, she could only chew on them.

“Anything else, Korra?”

Korra nervously put her other hand to the bottom of the receiver, cradling it as close as possible to her face. She cleared her throat before speaking.

“Pema... Were you... Were you scared your first time?”

Korra winced once the words were out. She wanted to throw the phone on the floor and get as far away as possible from the question she just asked. Her hands shook the receiver against her ear. Pema’s few seconds of silence felt like an eternity, so Korra moved to abort.

“Never mind I don’t know I’m asking-”

Pema cut her off. “I was, but I think everyone is honey.”

“Yeah…”

“But if you’re with someone you trust, and they trust you, it will all work out.”

Korra stared down at her feet as she considered Pema’s words. She wasn’t sure what kind of answer to expect, especially from Pema. It was a simple response, but what else could anyone really say?

Pema cleared her throat. “Well, I need to get back to Rohan, it’s his bedtime.”

“Yeah, yeah. Thank you Pema.”

“You’re welcome. Good night.”

“Night.” Korra slowly lowered the receiver and disconnected the call. “It’s going to be so awkward the next time I see her…”

Korra could hear music starting again in the hallway. She walked to Asami’s room to peek in, but her girlfriend was gone.

“Asami?” the Avatar asked, already shuffling down the steps.

“I’m downstairs, just grabbing a bottle of wine…” Asami called back.

Korra found her in a large lounge. Asami had changed into her red silk robe. It was loosely tied shut, covering just enough of the important parts that if anyone walked in she wouldn’t be too embarrassed. She had a drinks cabinet open, and a hand on either side of the glass doors.

“Apparently you should drink different varieties of wines in different types of glasses,” Asami offered, not turning around. “That’s a tidbit I picked up at my last fundraiser gala. A business partner told me the ones we were offered were incorrect for red, completely ruined the evening.”

Asami turned her head around and winked. “You want some wine? I bet you don’t care what kind of glass it’s in?”

Korra moved closer until her body was behind Asami’s. The Avatar wrapped her arms around her girlfriend’s waist, and rested her chin on her shoulder. Asami let her hands fall from the cabinet doors and to the countertop below them.

“Or maybe you’re not interested in wine at all?” Asami asked, her voice a little shaky.

Korra squeezed a little tighter, burying her face so when she spoke her words were a bit muffled. “Not really, but I might need a little liquid courage.”

Asami smiled and reached up for a glass. “Maybe I’ll just pour one glass, and we can share it.”

Korra nodded into her. “Come with me upstairs?”

Asami used her free hand to squeeze back. “Yes.”

Hand in hand Korra and Asami ascended the elaborate staircase of the Sato family home.

To be continued...

Chapter 34: In A World Of Their Own

Notes:

Thank you TheToasterMarketingBoard for editing! You always make the chapter come together!

Chapter Text

Korra’s eyes slowly opened and for a brief moment she didn’t know where she was. Her gaze roamed over the high vaulted ceiling and it reminded her of the Southern Palace. Korra’s stomach clenched; that meant she was still broken and living with her parents. She shot up from the bed and grasped at her legs. When she could soundly feel her hands upon them, she relaxed and looked around the rest of the room, recognizing it as Asami’s.

With a sigh, Korra eased herself back down into the bed. She rolled onto her side to face Asami, who was now awake. Asami’s long black hair was scattered over her pillow and partially obscuring her face. The only time Asami didn’t look put-together was when she slept. Korra had quickly learned this once they started sharing a bed. It made her feel special knowing she was the only one who got to see the powerful businesswoman this way.

Asami smiled as she lifted her head and propped it up with her hand. “Morning.”

“Morning,” Korra murmured back.

They looked at each other for a quiet moment. Asami reached out her free hand and brushed two fingers down Korra’s cheek.

“I don’t want to go to work today.”

“Then don’t,” Korra whispered back. “Spend it with me instead.”

“You don’t have any Avatarly duties to attend to?”

Korra snorted as she rolled onto her stomach, propping herself up by the elbows. She stared at the headboard as she spoke. “I guess not. Mako and Opal think we should let the Spirit World ‘cool off’ for a bit since that big tigerpillar spirit is still all riled up and guarding the entrance. And Raiko’s people actually showed up yesterday and starting building the fence we asked for.”

“That’s perfect,” Asami replied as she continued to pet her girlfriend. “This means we can go to the research phase. Remember we discussed at the temple that we need to get all humans out of the Spirit World so we can fence it off and conduct proper research on the time anomalies?”

Korra let her elbows slip and she plopped face-down into her pillow. “You mean the tedious doing the same thing over and over phase?” she mumbled into the cushion.

Asami scooted her body closer, and put an arm around Korra’s shoulders. Korra rolled her head out from the pillow and let herself be cradled under Asami’s arm.

“But that sounds so boring,” Korra whined.

Asami chuckled and moved a few locks of hair from the Korra’s face. “You’re just sulking because the big tough Avatar part is over, and now you have to use your head.”

“Are you saying I’m not smart?”

“No, but you I know you’d rather fight your way out of a problem.”

Korra let out a long sigh. “Yeah… but I’m a fully-fledged Avatar now, I’m ready to start fighting with my head more… Cos it’s not all about physical strength… and stuff.”

“I didn’t mean to make you feel bad-” Asami started.

“I know,” Korra replied, cutting her girlfriend off. She looked up at Asami and flashed a smile. “I need start working on that part of my role more. I need to see this as an opportunity for growth.”

“So mature of you, Avatar Korra,” Asami teased, poking a finger into her girlfriend’s tan cheek.

Korra grinned and nodded. “Thank you. I want my name to be synonymous with maturity. The newspapers will read; Avatar Korra now the picture of maturity. City has no concerns about her abilities anymore.”

“Oh the newspapers will be talking about you again real soon...”

“Yeah, Avatar Korra; world’s greatest lover.”

Asami rolled her eyes and pulled herself up. She let Korra slip out of her arms. Korra sat up as well, so they were both seated in the bed across from each other.

“Are you blushing?” Korra asked, leaning in.

Asami tucked her legs up and rested her chin on her knees. She wrapped her arms around her legs to hold them in place. “Last night… you don’t know how long I’ve wanted…” Asami shook her head and buried it in her knees, unable to finish.

Korra smiled and scooted closer. “Hey, didn’t you tell me we should be able to talk about these things?” She placed an arm around Asami’s shoulders and gave them a squeeze.

Asami peeked her face out from her knees and smiled.

“I’m tired of talking,” she murmured as she moved swiftly to press her face to Korra’s. Korra’s grip on her shoulder tightened to hold them together as they kissed.

***
Korra and Asami spent the rest of their morning laying in bed, enjoying the peace and quiet of the empty mansion. They eventually got hungry and, not wanting to involve Hong, the housekeeper, they took Asami’s car out to find a café.

The couple decided on a small noodle house that must have recently reopened, as their sign read ‘grand re-opening.’ They took one of the three small round tables out front. A wooden awning half-covered them from the noon sun. There were a few people milling about the side street. Sounds of hammers pounding, and saws cutting hummed in the background.

While waiting for their food, Korra grinned mischievously and started to lean over to Asami to kiss her, when her girlfriend pulled away. Korra stopped moving, her grin quickly changing to a frown.

“We can’t here,” Asami whispered.

Korra let out a breath, and gave a slight nod. She looked down at the table settings, and grasped one of her chopsticks. She rotated it around as if to inspect it. “You know I’ve never seen another couple like us in the city.”

“I’m sure you have, but were unaware.” Asami sighed, also taking an interest in watching Korra’s nimble fingers play with the stick.

“So other couples hide too. Does that mean, even after our announcement, I can’t kiss you in public?”

Asami shot up in her seat. “No, of course not. Once it’s out there, I don’t see any point in being modest in public.”

Korra looked up and grinned the lopsided grin Asami loved so much. Asami briefly melted before placing two fingers over Korra’s mouth. “Don’t get any wild ideas.”

“You said-”

“What have I unleashed? Where is my bashful Avatar?” Asami lamented.

Korra chuckled and shook her head. “I’m teasing, I just want to be able to hold your hand and kiss you whenever I want, wherever I want.”

“As long as that’s it,” Asami said in a mock-stern tone. She then flipped her hair carelessly over her shoulder. “I am a lady and expect to be treated as such.”

The server’s arrival paused the conversation as the two women patiently waited for their respective bowls to be placed in front of them.

Their server was a squinting old woman, who did not appear to recognize who she was waiting on. “Would either of you girls like any sprouts or basil leaves for your soup? I can’t offer you any lime, fruit is still scarce in these parts.”

“Sprouts please,” Korra quickly replied. “You know what, basil too!”

“Where were you getting your limes from?” Asami asked curiously.

The old woman folded her hands behind her back in a feeble attempt to fix her posture. “My husband would just go down to the main street market and get it from one of the fruit stands. A lot of those vendors imported their fruits from the Earth Kingdom. We thought after Kuvira was taken down, trade would open up more, but it seems like they still don’t want to share. I’ll be right back with your toppings.”

The girls watched the woman shuffle back inside.

“Future Industries going to get into the fruit trade now?” Korra asked, before blowing on her steaming bowl.

Asami gave a slight shake of her head. “No, but I’d figure that the Earth Kingdom would be interested in getting trade going again to increase revenue. This latest contract to rebuild the city is helping my company supplement the loss of sales we are experiencing to the Earth Kingdom now Kuvira isn’t buying Satomobiles by the thousand anymore.”

“Don’t let the public find out, or they’re going to think I’m blowing up the city every three years to keep you in business.”

Asami chuckled while slurping up a few noodles. She covered her mouth with a pale hand as she finished chewing. “Please don’t let the city get blown up again, I really don’t want to have to rebuild these roads a third time. I’m burnt out. I’m basically using all the plans from last time.”

“Then to many, many years of peace and quiet in Republic City,” Korra said, holding up her water glass.

Asami clinked her own into Korra’s. “To peace everywhere.”

***

 

After lunch the they returned to the mansion and made a pot of tea. They found themselves back in Asami’s room, tea in tow, and Korra felt slightly anxious again.

“Want to see embarrassing things from my childhood?”Asami asked, opening up a side table drawer and pulling out a box with a few books and loose papers stacked on top. She laid the pile out on the bed and sat down beside it.

Korra followed her over and sat down on the other side of the keepsakes.

They looked through stacks of early doodles, already far better than anything Korra could draw now, clippings of accolades from the Republic News, and a few candid family photos showing Hiroshi Sato in such a jovial manner that Korra could hardly believe he was the same man she had confronted so long ago.

“My mother’s death really changed him. A dream to be successful, spun out of control into an obsession for power,” Asami said, as if reading Korra’s thoughts.

“Did it change you?”

“Hard to say. I was so young. I didn’t know who I was. I know losing her affected me, but I’ve lived more years without her than with her. So…” Asami trailed off picking up a picture of her mother. She adjusted her position on the bed, pulling her legs up under her chin. “I wanted to be like her. The first time my father ever got really mad at me was maybe a few months after she passed. He had been sleeping in his study since her death, so he didn’t know I had been going into their bedroom. They had a large walk-in closet. I would go in there and pretend to be her. I’d put on her gloves, or her shoes, easy to reach things. One day I noticed her fireferret stoll, don’t tell Bolin, up on the top shelf. I thought I could climb up and get it. I slipped and latched onto one of my mother’s dresses to catch myself. I ended up ripping it straight down. My father heard the crash and found me and the ruined dress. It was his favorite one of course, a first anniversary present. I’ll never forget how red his face was. He locked their bedroom from then on. Soon more doors locked and more of my mother’s things were shut away. I’m sure he did it to preserve them, but I think removing her presence from the home disconnected us from her.”

“You don’t have to shut her away anymore. It’s your house now.”

“You want to see the room?” Asami asked, setting the photo down.

“Sure.”

Asami then reached out and grabbed Korra’s hand, guiding her from the bed and down the hall. Her parents’ bedroom was a little bit bigger than Asami’s. A posted king-size bed occupied the center of the room. The bed was made up with a deep crimson comforter with ornate flowers stitched along the seams. Several red and green pillows were stacked up at the head board, forming a steeple with one small decorative pillow at the center.

A vanity dresser not unlike Asami’s was on one side of the room and on the other was a dark oak chest cabinet. Korra assumed the later was Hiroshi’s, since it only had a few keepsakes on it and a bottle of musk.

Asami touched the wall and it slid to reveal her parents’ very large walk-in closet. “Mother’s things on her vanity were left where she last placed them, and it always seemed out of bounds. But I never had a problem playing with her things in here.”

Korra looked around at the closet; each side had a long pole that held up the row of clothes. Above that were wooden cubbies built into the wall with a pair of shoes or a few sweaters tucked in each. Again Mr. Sato’s space was apparent, taking up about a third of one side. A series of dark suits had a clear dividing line where Mrs Sato’s colorful wardrobe began.“Your mother liked to play dress up, huh?”

“It was her one guilty pleasure. Should we indulge?”

Korra blinked a few times before uttering,“wha?”

“Play dress up with me?”

“Sure, but I dunno if I’ll fit into any of your mother’s clothes.”

“I’m sure something will,” Asami said with a wave, and she dove into the closest row of clothes, pushing hangers aside as she searched.

“How about this? It’s kind of a looser, more flowy dress, like for the beach.”

“Okay,” Korra said with a shrug and took the dress. She headed toward the doorway to leave.

“Still too bashful to change infront of me?”

“Was there an ulterior motive to playing dress up?”

Asami’s only reply was a wink.

Korra decided against leaving, but turned around in an attempt at modesty. Once she was down to her underclothes Korra tossed the bottom of the dress over her head and tried to wriggle it over her body.

Asami pressed a hand on Korra’s left shoulder to stop her. “There’s a clasp in the back.”

Asami’s other hand fished through the folds of fabric and grasped the two interlocking metsl pieces, flicking them apart. The dress opened, allowing Korra’s shoulders to start to fit through, but they caught again. The dress was half over the Avatar locking her arms to her sides. If she raised them the dress would have ripped.

“Help!” Korra giggled.

Asami moved to free her girlfriend from the dress. “I think my mother must have had all her clothes tailored to her measurements.”

“Guess you’re the only one who can play dress up. I don’t want to ruin any more of your mother’s clothing.”

“We could try my father’s wardrobe.”

Korra envisioned herself drowning in a pre-jail Hiroshi suit. “I think we might have the opposite problem with his clothes.”

“This is his old wardrobe. My father was much thinner as a young man. My mother’s wealthy indulgences were clothes, and you can guess what my father’s were.”

“I don’t blame him. If I could afford to eat whatever I wanted... though I’d still exercise…” Korra rambled as she watched Asami push over hangers. “If you’re picking out my outfit, I should get to pick yours.”

Asami turned around from the hangers, with a thoughtful look on her face. “That’s true,” she murmured, picking up the mug of tea she had set on an end table.

“I’m very curious to see what you pick out for me, Avatar,” Asami said, passing along the other mug. Korra blushed, accepting it. She took a swig before turning to the other side of the closet.

Korra took several small sips as she considered the long row of the late Mrs. Sato’s wardrobe. She suddenly felt overwhelmed by all her options. What was she thinking, she didn’t know anything about fashion? Korra finished off the tea and slammed the mug on the side table. She marched up to the rack and threw a hand into the line of fabric, reaching for something silky and red. A safe choice. Korra examined the dress as she held the hanger out before her. The fabric was similar to that of Asami’s robe, the same deep red. Really the whole dress reminded her of it, there was just a whole lot less of it.

“That looks fun,” Asami purred.

Korra jumped, almost forgetting she wasn’t alone, Asami had been so quiet. They exchanged hangers and each dressed in their chosen outfit.

Korra attempted to button the black vest that came with the suit, but it wouldn’t close across her chest, so she left it open. Over it she pulled on the dark green suit jacket. It fit well in the shoulders, but the bottom fell lower than she felt it probably should, making her feel small. She moved to the wall mirror at the back of the closet.

“Not too bad a fit,” Asami commented.

“You’re talking about yourself, right?” Korra asked, eying her girlfriend up and down. The red dress fitted perfectly.

Korra hooked her thumbs into her pants, tucking the front of her coat back, as she rocked on her heels. “I feel like a fancy gentleman. Would m’lady care to join me for a night on the town?”

Asami grinned and flipped her hair back. “You sound like Bolin.”

“He’s the master of characters.”

“He is a character.” Asami moved behind Korra examining her choice of outfit. “If we had this fitted, you could actually wear this out if you wanted.”

“Yeah, maybe lose the jacket, but I like the vest,” Korra said, holding out her hands to demonstrate the ill fit of the jacket.

“Nothing can have sleeves with you, huh?”

Korra pulled on the white collar under the vest. “I’d wear a nice shirt like this.”

Asami moved to stand beside her girlfriend, looping their arms together like they would if they were walking about town. She admired their appearance in the mirror. “It’s a pity we look this good and we’re not going out anywhere.”

“I disagree, I’m happy to have you here looking beautiful all to myself.”

Asami blushed. “I don’t want to share you with anyone else either… I just want others to see you and be jealous,” she said coyly.

Korra turned her body to face Asami. “I think it’s the other way around, current outfits considered, but I’m not going to continue this argument.”

“What are you going to do instead?”

“This,” Korra whispered, reached a shaky hand up to Asami’s face, pulling her down to connect their lips. As they kissed, Korra felt her fears and anxieties fade into the background of her mind. She was with the person she had grown to trust above all others. The person to whom she didn’t have to say anything to feel comfortable.

Asami closed her hands around Korra’s waist, and started walking them towards a wall, still embracing. When the Korra’s back connected with the hard surface, their kiss intensified.

Asami moved her hands up Korra’s torso, chest, then shoulders. She tucked her palms into the opening of her sleeves, and slipped the oversized suit jacket down Korra’s arms. Asami’s hands were back to her chest, unbuttoning the collared shirt beneath the vest.

Korra’s own hands were searching for the end of Asami’s dress. She found it just above the her knees. Her fingers fidgeted with the hem of the dress until her hands were beneath the fabric. Korra ran her palms along the smooth skin of Asami’s thighs for a moment before daring to bring her hands higher. She moved them and the shirt up to her girlfriend’s buttocks.

The kiss broke and the pair looked at each other, breathless.

“I don’t want to be in the closet anymore…”

“The meeting with the public relations team is next week,” Asami murmured, moving to kiss Korra’s neck.

Korra grinned, feigned annoyance in her tone. “You know what I mean.”

“I do.”

“And we should probably get out of your parents’ clothes,” Korra added.

Asami nodded before pressing her body closer and sliding a thigh between Korra’s legs. After a few moments she pulled away, hooking her arm through Korra’s and guiding her out of the closet, through her parents’ room, down the hall and into her own. Korra shut the door while Asami dimmed the light.

***
Korra had fallen asleep, but Asami was still awake. Korra had drifted off at some point while they were cuddling in bed. She still had her head tucked under Asami’s arm, with a cheek on her chest, and a firm tan leg intertwined with Asami’s own much paler legs.

They were both still naked, though she couldn’t see much anymore. The waning moon only provided minimal light, letting her make out Korra’s silhouette, but not much more. Asami ran her free hand along the darker woman’s form. Korra’s body was like a contradiction; how could something be so soft and hard at the same time?

Asami sighed contently, as she absentmindedly petted Korra. She found her thoughts drifting to another moment like this. She began to recall of how she felt lying late into the night after first bedding Shey. Part affirmation, part relief. Affirmation that her desires were real and very possible. Relief that she could do it with someone other than her very secret crush.

Towards the second anniversary of Korra’s departure to the south, Asami was starting to feel pretty pathetic about her continued romantic feelings towards the Avatar. She tried to console herself with the fact that no one anticipated Korra would be gone this long, but that only made her feel selfish. A dear friend was suffering, and she wanted them to hurry up and get better so she could express her pent up feelings.

After vowing to move on, Shey came along unexpectedly, and she was nothing like Korra. With Shey everything was easy, there was no tension or questions about what their relationship was or would be. That clarity between them was so welcome at the time, because everything was so distant and vague with Korra.

Yet, she gave that up without any promise that the Avatar would return her affections. Asami wondered if she would always consider it her greatest gamble, because at the moment she did. Though she wished it hadn’t been at the cost of Shey’s feelings.

Asami felt a slight pull at her heart. She owed a lot of personal growth to Shey. Maybe someday things could be amicable between the two of them, and Korra.

Asami slipped out from Korra’s embrace and tiptoed to one of her bedroom windows. She grasped one of the big red curtains covering the window and pulled it aside. There weren’t nearly as many stars as in the Spirit World, but the sky was still beautifully speckled with distant twinkling lights.

Lost in her thoughts, Asami didn’t realize Korra had woken up until her arms were wrapping around her waist.

“Beautiful...” Korra murmured.

“It is.”

“I wasn’t talking about the view.”

Asami snorted and shook her head slightly. Korra nestled her head into Asami’s neck and shoulders. She made a her way from one side to the other, sprinkling kisses.

“Maybe I should take tomorrow off too…”

 

****

“When do you think they’ll be coming back?” Ikki asked for the fifth time during breakfast.

“Ikki, Asami probably won’t be here until dinner time, I’m sure she’s working now,” Jinora chided.

“What about Korra, where is she then?”

Jinora looked to her mother. “Did she say two nights ago when she was coming back? Zhou Rhen and I wanted to speak with her...”

Pema let out a long sigh. “Korra will come back when Korra comes back. I’m not her mother, it’s not my job to know where she is. But as your mother it is my job to tell you to stop moping around the table and go start your chores.”

“I don’t care when Korra comes back,” Meelo announced proudly.

Jinora snorted. “Says the boy who cried when dad told him Korra still wasn’t coming back from the south pole.”

Meelo’s eyes narrowed. “That was more than year ago and Korra’s fully healed now. I don’t worry about a fellow badass, she’s got it covered.”

“We’re not worried, we just-” Ikki started, but stopped when she noticed her mother’s growing scowl. “Alright, we’re going!”

The three airbender children picked up their porridge bowls and filed out of the dining room. No sooner had the children left, than their father entered the room from the same door.

Tenzin lifted his robes slightly as he crossed his legs and sat down at the table. Pema passed her husband a bowl and spoon.

“I think we have a big problem coming,” she said.

“What is it?”

“Korra is going to leave us one day soon, and I don’t know what we’re going to do with three mopy children when that happens.”

“What do you mean, where is Korra going?”

“Tenzin dear, she’s eventually going to move out of the temple and in with Asami.”

Tezin bowed his head. “Ah, that…”

“She’s been gone twenty-four hours and I can’t get them off my back. Our girls especially are going to be crushed. It seems more than ever Ikki and Jinora want to be with the older girls.”

“I’ve been trying to encourage Jinora to train with me more, but she’s so willful.”

“They both are,” Pema sighed.

Tenzin lifted a hand to his wife’s shoulder. “Of all the people our daughters could be looking up to, it could be a lot worse.”

Pema nodded and looked to her mostly untouched breakfast. “I never imagined in a million years how close my life would be to the Avatar’s, or that’d I’d help raise her! Pfft. But I fell madly in love with the Avatar’s son, the only man who could teach his father’s reincarnation airbending. And then I grew to love her too.”

“Something else troubling you, Pema?”

She shook her head and smiled wistfully. “No, it’s just that motley band of teenagers who crashed into our lives four years ago are growing up. And now Jinora’s a teenager and Ikki and Meelo will be teenagers soon…”

“Time moves too quickly, I know.”

“Why can’t someone invent time bending?” Pema sighed.

***

Bolin removed his hard hat to wipe the sweat off his brow with a handkerchief he’d stashed in his pocket. It was around ten in the morning, and the bright sun was starting to warm things up. He was on a clean-up site with about seven other earthbenders who worked for Future Industries.

“Phew, bending like this is hard work, huh?” Bolin said aloud to no one in particular. When he got nothing more than a few looks from his coworkers, Bolin put his hat back on and started for another pile of rubble.

Bolin examined the wreckage, to determine how much steel was in the pile. He was advised to leave the mounds that were mostly metal to the benders who could do both. Bolin had quickly learned he was at a disadvantage not being able to bend metal. He had thought about bringing up his ability to lava bend to the foreman, but wasn’t sure how it could be useful for clean up. He could melt the rubble around the steel beams, but they would also melt in the heat. All metal was currently being salvaged for reconstruction.

“If I could learn how to metalbend, and then lava bend that metal, I’d be like a bending blacksmith!” Bolin exclaimed to himself. He picked up a steel bar and struck a bending pose, envisioning himself in a apron, the bar in his hand, a hammer. “Call me the ‘Bender-Smith’.”

“Hey quit fooling around and get back to work!” the foreman called out.

Bolin flinched, dropping the metal rod. He dared a peek back. The hulking man who was the foreman fortunately had already turned away and was now barking orders at some other benders in his range.

Bolin sighed and resumed his bending stance, this time to actually move piles of earth. A few minutes passed when he heard a more feminine voice call out to him.

“What’s a famous mover star doing lifting debris?”

Bolin lowered his arms and looked around for whoever was speaking to him. His eyes finally settled on a tall, pale woman, possibly of Fire Nation descent, dressed in a dark blue jumpsuit and high black boots. Her coal black hair was cut just above her neck and slicked back. Behind her were two women, one holding a mover camera and the other a tall pole with a microphone attached. They were navigating their way down from a large pile of rubble.

“Are you giving back to the community?” the woman pressed.

Bolin scratched at the back of his head. “Uh, yeah, just doing my part. I mean I’m getting paid, but-”

“Stop filming”, the woman commanded to her crew. “This is your job?”

“Yeah,” Bolin replied awkwardly. “Who are you?”

The woman’s stance relaxed and she bowed her head briefly, letting out a chuckle. She jumped down the rest of the way from the rubble mound to stand before Bolin, removed a black leather glove and extended her hand. “Shey. I’m a big fan of your work.”

Bolin blushed and took her hand. “Been a while since anyone’s approached me about that. What are you all doing here?”

“We’ve been documenting the Kuvira crisis. We’re getting footage right now of the destruction and rebuilding efforts. We plan on putting out the picture next year. It’s going to be revolutionary, we’re calling it a ‘documover’.”

“Cool,” Bolin said, fidgeting a bit in place.

Shey looked at him and shook her head. She let out an exasperated breath. “This is crazy. You’re an amazing actor. Your talent is wasted on manual labor.”

“I don’t know about that… “ Bolin murmured, blushing again. “Besides, I like the simplicity of this job.”

Shey looked around the construction site and noticed a few pieces of equipment with the Future Industries logo. “Are you working for Asami Sato?”

“Yeah, she’s the one who hooked me up with the gig. She’s an old friend.”

“Really?” Shey said, more as a question to herself, nodding her head. She looked to the ground for a moment, and chewed at her bottom lip. “How... how is she?”

“I think pretty good all things considered. Her dad died in the attack, but now that she’s dating-” Bolin stopped himself and nervously looked over to Shey, who was intently looking at him now. He could hear Opal smacking her palm to her face and letting out a groan as if she was there with him.

“Now that she’s dating-” Bolin started again, his eyes darting all around him for an escape. “Now that she’s dating, now, she’s getting her groove back.”

“Who is she dating?” Shey asked.

“No one, she’s just out there, dating. Seeing what her options are. You know, as women her age often do,” Bolin replied backing away. He looked down to his bare wrist and then up to the sun. He shot his watchless arm up to shield the bright rays. “Look at the time, I forgot I’m supposed to meet the little lady for lunch. Great meeting you through, good luck with the documover.”

Bolin scurried through the rubble, jumping over bricks and spikes as he vacated the clean--up site.

To be continued...

Chapter 35: Making Moves

Summary:

Thank you TheToasterMarketingBoard for your wonderful editing!

Chapter Text

It was a little after high noon when Asami brought her satomobile to a stop at the city docks. Korra sprung out of her seat, not bothering with the door, and dashed around the vehicle to the driver’s side.

“Will I see you tonight?”

Asami slid a hand onto one of Korra’s that was resting on the window frame. “Of course, I’ll come around dinner time. I just need to make an appearance at the office and attempt to get some work on the reconstruction blueprints finished before the business day is done.”

Korra swiveled her head around to see if the anyone else was nearby. Once she was satisfied that they were alone, she bent down and pressed her lips to Asami’s. After a few moments, she moved away, just to duck back down for a few more kisses.

“Korra…” Asami giggled.

“Okay, now I’m going,” Korra murmured between pecks. Eventually she backed away from the satomobile. Asami gave a wink before driving off.

Korra sighed contentedly before expanding the wings of her staff and taking to the sky. It was a quick flight to the temple. She felt like she had just left the ground when she was touching down again.

The courtyard appeared empty, except for a small figure shakily running towards her. Korra grinned, recognizing it to be Rohan. She crouched down and extended her arms out towards him.

“Here comes a big boy!”

“Korwa!” he called back.

Pema and a few acolytes were on the grounds hanging out laundry. They were draping fabric from ropes of wire that hung between one of the buildings and a row of wooden poles.

“Looks like Avatar Korra has finally returned to us,” one of the male acolytes commented, pinning up a sheet.

Pema, who was bent over a wicker basket of her children’s clothes, straightened herself up. She turned around to see Korra walking towards them with a grinning Rohan sitting upon her shoulders. His little hands were clinging to the Avatar’s forehead, almost covering her eyes. Korra occasionally moved them back up, only to have them slip down dangerously close to blinding her.

“Hi Pema.”

“About time you showed. One more day and my daughters would have been breaking down Asami’s mansion door.”

“I hope no one was worried, we just got a little caught up…” Korra said, as a faint blush cropped up on her cheeks.

“I take it you two figured it all out?”

Korra’s face quickly turned from pink to tomato. Rohan started to fidget, so she moved to pull the small child down from her shoulders. “Thank you Pema for… being such a cool mom-person.”

Pema’s face softened, and she pulled Korra in for a hug. Rohan wrapped his small arms around both their legs.

“And let’s pretend that conversation never happened,” Korra added.

Pema chuckled and gave Korra a squeeze before letting go of the embrace.

“So has this little guy started showing signs of bending yet?” Korra asked, crouching down to Rohan’s level.

“He’s at that age. It’s starting to feel like he is toying with me. Rohan will make what looks like bending motions with his hands, then, nothing.”

“Hey Rohan, do this,” Korra asked, making a pulling and pushing motion with her hands. The young boy giggled and tried to mirror Korra’s actions.

“First pull,” Korra commanded in a mock strained voice. “Then push!” she said, making a ‘whooshing’ sound to follow.

“Puwll. Poooosh,” Rohan parroted.

The Avatar’s brows furrowed and she shifted in her crouch. She moved closer and laid her hands on the small boy’s shoulders.

Korra closed her eyes. “Push… Pull…”

Rohan obeyed for a few more moments before losing interest and tottering away. Korra’s eyes opened to watch him chase a lemur that was scrambling along one of the laundry lines.

“See what I mean?” Pema said with a sigh. “Personally, I’d be happy if he was a non-bender. Katara however, quite firmly told me he was going to be a bender when I was pregnant.”

Korra rose from her crouch. “I think she might be wrong. I didn’t feel anything when he did the movements.”

“What do you mean, feel?”

“When I took…” Korra anxiously rubbed the back of her head and lowered her voice. “When I took Kuvira’s bending away I reached inside her spirit and felt the source of the bending energy. I held her essence of bending in the palm of my hand. I had never felt anything like it.”

“So you know what the presence of bending feels like inside a person?” Pema asked tentatively.

“Yeah. Since then, I’ve felt more attuned to it in others. Like another sense was woken. I can’t say for certain… but I don’t think he’s going to bend.”

Pema watched her youngest son try to jump to the lemur that was now actively taunting him from the safety of the laundry line. “Let’s not say anything about it for now…”

“It’s nothing to be ashamed of-” Korra started.

“I know. I just need to warm Tenzin to the possibility…”

“You really think he’ll take having a nonbender that hard?”

Pema chuckled. “Oh no, it’s not that. It’s his mother being wrong.”

***

On the other side of the island Jinora and Zhou Rhen were sitting by the gazebo, having just finished a meditation session.

“When did you start your training?” Zhou Rhen asked, giving his glasses a wipe with his robe, before sliding them on his face.

Jinora shrugged. “As long as I can remember… I guess when I was a baby Dad would have me sit in his lap while he meditated. Ikki and Meelo were too fidgety to ever do that.”

“Your siblings do seem to have a wild streak.”

“I guess grandpa Aang was like that too. And my uncle Bumi. Seems like in my family you’re either serious or a wildcard,” Jinora said, leaning back on her hands. “When did you start training with the White Lotus?”

“Around the age of twelve. I grew up in the Fire Nation, in North Chung-Ling, so I was fortunate to live in a place of opportunity. My uncle is a member, and he started bringing me around their compound. The organization is a bit of a fraternity, they prefer inducting members’ family over outsiders.”

Zhou Rhen paused for a moment, looking away. “You really should give some consideration to joining our organization.”

“I told you, my place is here,” Jinora said with a huff.

“Your father lives here, and he is a member,” Zhou Rhen pointed out.

“But I’m sure he spent several years training at some compound.”

“Of course, likely he did it when he was young and unmarried. This will always be your home, but there is a big world out there. What is so strongly keeping you here, that you can’t ever leave?

“I know there is a big world out there. I’ve traveled throughout the Earth Kingdom with my father to find new airbenders. And then with my sister and brother to find Korra when she was missing.” Jinora snorted. “Is talking to Korra just a cover for you to recruit new members?”

Zhou Rhen’s cheeks flushed. “No! No. We just don’t get a lot of young people interested in the organization these days.”

“Well maybe you all shouldn’t be so choosey,” Jinora replied, crossing her arms across her chest.

“Our selectiveness is what has kept the White Lotus alive. Surviving the hundred year war is a testimony to our members’ integrity. Many were captured, tortured and executed by Sozin’s regime and none ever gave away our secrets. That takes a special kind of integrity and loyalty.”

The sound of a screen door zipping open drew their attention towards the house. Ikki flung herself out, one arm clinging to the frame anchoring her body. “Korra’s back!” she hollered across the courtyard. As soon as the words were out she swung herself back inside and slammed close the door.

A wave of nervousness washed over Jinora. She took a deep breath and rose from her seated position. “Okay, we should just give it a shot and get it over with.”

Zhou Rhen stood up as well, and took a few moments to brush the dust and wrinkles from his robes. The pair headed towards the door Ikki had just appeared from, when Jinora stopped.

“Let me do most of the talking.”

Zhou Rhen gave a nod. “Good idea.”

***

After scrambling away from the prying eyes of Shey and her camera crew, Bolin found himself wandering around the city.

“I do need some lunch, but I won’t make it to the temple and back in time...”

He eventually found himself outside Little Ba Sing Se Fashion Mall. The large circular structure seemed unharmed by Kuvira’s invasion. A banner was hung outside the gates stating “Mall open - hours vary.”

Bolin shoved his hands in his pockets and walked inside. There were a good amount of patrons, mostly well-dressed people he assumed to be business persons or politicians. They were the people whose lives were largely unaffected by any type of disaster.

The sound of sizzling drew Bolin into the middle ring. He sniffed the air and breathed a sigh of relief. “Fried food!”

He ambled his way around the ring to stop in front of the food vendor’s service bar. Green and gold paper lanterns were strung from the ceiling, providing a soft Earth Kingdom-tinted glow. A few other patrons were seated, a stool or two respectively between them.

“Good afternoon,” the gruff looking middle-aged chef called out as Bolin sat down.

“And good afternoon to you!” Bolin said with a flourished wave of the hand.

The chef rolled his eyes and made a slight groan before turning back to his griddle.

“Bolin?” a very familiar male voice asked.

Bolin looked down the bar to see a surprised Mako at the very end. The earthbender hopped off his stool and scampered over to the empty one next to his brother.

“Hey bro, getting a little lunch too? What did you get by the way, I can’t make up my mind?” Bolin asked, grabbing a menu in hopes of identifying his brother’s dish.

“Just a bowl of picken fried rice. What are you doing in the city?”

Bolin turned to wave at the chef. When he had his attention, he pointed to the picture on the menu. “Hey, I’ll have a bowl of picken fried rice too. Can you make that spicy?”

The chef grunted. Satisfied, Bolin turned back to his brother. “I’m working for Asami doing clean-up, remember?”

Mako gave a hesitant nod. “Oh yeah, that’s right.”

“Hey man, where you been? I haven’t seen you at home or the temple the past couple of nights.”

“Well you know I went back to the beat… I’m trying to make up for lost time I spent fooling around in the Earth Kingdom,” Mako replied, poking at his rice with his chopsticks.

“Don’t sell yourself short like that. You were helping Prince Wu and not to mentioned we wouldn’t have been able to save-”

Bolin was quickly silence by Mako’s palm over his mouth.

In a harsh hushed tone, “are you crazy?” Mako asked. When he could see understanding pass across Bolin’s face, he let his hand fall.

A steaming bowl clanking on the bar paused the conversation. Bolin grabbed his meal and drew it towards himself. He broke his chopsticks apart and began shoveling the hot rice into his mouth.

Mako sighed watching his brother’s meek display. “I’m trying to throw myself into my work here, okay? Going to another country wasn’t the solution to my problems, but I still need some space.”

Bolin sighed dramatically, heaving his shoulders up then down. “It’s never going to be like it used to… Is it? I thought it kinda felt like old times when we were in the Spirit World this week… But I guess… I dunno…”

“It probably won’t, but we’re getting older too you know? We got different jobs to do now.”

“Yeah...” Bolin sighed between bites.

Mako pursed his lips, and looked down at his own food. “I’ll admit, it was kinda fun working as a group again. But what we were doing in the Spirit World seemed pretty pointless. What I need right now is to work on my career. I will make sure to make time for you, and the gang. And when I’m with you, know it’s because I want to be.”

Bolin looked to his brother, studying his face. He could see Mako’s sincerity, and something else. He squinted his eyes and moved closer. “Are you growing a beard?”

Mako flinched and pulled his face away. His cheeks pinkened. “I don’t know. Maybe. I’m trying something new. Does it look bad?”

“Naw, just a little sparse,” Bolin said, grinning. He reached a hand out to touch his brother’s face, but Mako swatted it away.

“It’s my first real attempt. Give it time!” Mako protested, rubbing his chin protectively.

****

“Why were you guys gone so looong? Things are so boring here without you!” Ikki whined as she followed Korra to her room at the temple.

Korra stopped at the door, and turned around to face Ikki. “I’m gonna change, be right back.”

Ikki nodded as she watched the sliding door close. She threw her back to the wall next to the door, and let her body slide down until her rump hit the floor. “Were you at Asami’s mansion the whole time? What did Asami need to do there anyways?”

“She’s only curious because were gone so long,” Korra thought to herself once the door was safely shut. She rummaged through her clothing trunk for replacement underclothes. She could hear the younger girl chattering on, but couldn’t quite make out all the details. “Gotta set some boundaries…”

Korra soon heard a second, annoyed-sounding voice outside her door. She quickly finished getting dressed and stepped out of her room to find Jinora waiting.

“Hi Korra,” Jinora said with an awkward smile.

“Hey,” Korra replied distractedly. She looked down the hall catch Ikki storming around a corner. “You didn’t have to send her away like that.”

Jinora shrugged. “She’s fine. Listen, there is something important I need to talk to you about.”

“Me too,” Korra said, fishing out some folded papers from her pocket. “Asami wrote down instructions for the tests we can run in the Spirit World.”

“Great. And everyone else is still busy, right?” Jinora asked, putting her hands behind her back so Korra couldn’t see them fidgeting.

“Yeah, just going to be you and me for this one.”

“Well actually, I have someone else that is interested in helping…”

“Who?” Korra asked.

As soon as the word was out, Zhou Rhen appear from behind a wall. He started to bow but Korra interrupted by waving her hands. “Oh no. No way! Did he put you up to this?”

“It was my idea. Zhou Rhen genuinely wants to help. He has a skill to offer. He’s an excellent note taker. We need that for this mission,” Jinora urged.

Korra folded her arms across her chest and pursed her lips as she considered the offer. “What would a mature Avatar do? They would take the help. Plus, Asami will appreciate notes she can actually understand…”

“Alright, Zhou Rhen you can join.”

The young man beamed and then threw his body into a deep bow. “Thank you Avatar Korra.”

“Yeah, yeah. And you don’t have to do that ‘Avatar Korra’ stuff. Just Korra is fine.”

“So when do we go?” Jinora asked.

“After lunch? Unless you guys have plans for the rest of the day.”

Jinora shook her head. “Nope. We’re all yours.”

****

After eating, the three made their way into town and to the site of the spirit portal. The glowing spiral could be seen pretty much from anywhere in the city, but the sight of it up close was still awe inspiring.

As Korra and Jinora started to navigate their way over the knotted valley of vines, Zhou Rhen stayed put admiring the view.

“It’s incredible!”

“Yup, she was a real doozy to make,” Korra joked proudly. “Wish I had gone bigger, you know? Something real flashy.”

Zhou Rhen shook his head. “No… it’s perfect.”

“She’s teasing,” Jinora called back to him.

When the two women were significantly farther ahead of Zhou Rhen, Korra took one quick look back to make sure he was out of hearing range, and then poked Jinora.

“So what’s with the change of heart over Zhou Rhen? You two buddies now all of a sudden?”

Jinora almost tripped on the root she was stepping over, but caught herself. “It’s not like that. He’s genuine in his desire to help, so I’m trying to show him how.”

“Alright, but I reserve the right to send him away if he tries anything like before.”

“Of course.”

They eventually arrived at the outside of the portal, which was now completely barred off. It appeared that earthbenders had pulled rock from the ground beneath the vines to make six twelve-foot towers around the portal. Then metal fencing was wrapped in the gaps between all the spires except for one. It was a full sheet of rock, with two White Lotus sentries standing stone-faced in front.

When they recognized Korra, they both placed a fist to their chest and bowed. Korra gave a slight nod and then looked back for Zhou Rhen, who still a ways behind them.

“I still can’t believe this got built so fast,” Korra said with a shrug. “Raiko must really need something from me, or Tenzin or Asami.”

“I think he just wants everyone off his back and for things to go back to normal. He seemed really distracted and eager to get through our meeting.”

Korra wrinkled her nose. “I know his presidency hasn’t been a breeze, but neither has my job.”

“I mean he’s doing what you want, so what’s the problem?”

“No problem. It’s just, I dunno, annoying he’s finally being helpful, after all these years,” Korra said gesturing to the structure in front of them.

“I think you need to stop questioning why someone wants to help, and just accept it.”

Korra looked at Jinora and squinted, trying to look annoyed, but a smile creeped from the corners of her mouth. “You ever get tired of being so smart?”

“Sorry to keep you waiting!” Zhou Rhen called out, his breaths shallow. “Navigating through those vines is a real workout…”

“And we’re only getting started. So, what do the notes say?” Korra asked.

Zho Rhen riffled through his pockets and pulled out his notebook. The papers from Asami were folded and tucked inside it.

“Initial test. First note the time in the physical world, then go into the Spirit World for a few minutes, please note how many, to determine any initial discrepancies. Then perform the outlined tests below…” Zhou Rhen unfolded the sheet a few times. “Oh, there are a lot…”

“Asami has an eye for detail.” Korra turned back to the sentries. “May we enter the portal?”

Wordlessly they gave another bow, then stamped their feet apart to reveal they were barefoot. With a thrust of their arms the rock wall sunk back below the vines. The glow of the portal spilled out, making them all squint to adjust.

Korra pulled out a watch from her pocket. The silver chain reflected the portal light, making it glitter. “Asami gave me two of her father’s pocket watches to use.”

Zhou Rhen reached in his pocket and pulled a gold watch out. “I have one too.”

“Great. Let’s synchronize,” Korra turned to Jinora and grinned. “New term I learned.”

Once the three watches were synced, Korra passed one to one of the White Lotus sentries. “Can you hang on to this for me?”

The three walked through the opening and into the portal. Korra breathed a sigh of relief when they stepped through and saw an open and empty field before them.

Zhou Rhen dashed ahead of Korra and Jinora into the field. “This is the Spirit World? I never thought I’d be given the chance to see... ” He reached into his pocket and pulled out his notebook so haphazardly it caught in the fabric. With shaky hands he started scratching away at the pages.

Jinora chuckled, and she and Korra gave each other a knowing smile as they slowly moved towards Zhou Rhen.

“Never gets old showing a newbie the Spirit World…” the Avatar murmured.

Zhou Rhen looked back to his companions, pencil and book still poised to take notes. “Master Jinora, Avatar Korra, this place is…”

“Amazing? We know,” Korra chuckled. She kept moving towards him when she saw Zhou Rhen’s grin had fallen from his face. The young man’s body had gone stiff, his mouth agape.

Korra quickly spun around to see the tigerpillar spirit looming behind them. His long body moving to wrap around the portal.

“Oh come on!” Korra moaned, stamping her foot.

“He must have been hiding on the other side!”

“Let’s grab Zhou Rhen,” Korra barked and Jinora followed her. They ran to the young man’s side and each grabbed an arm.

Once they made contact, Korra closed her eyes and warped them to another part of the Spirit World.

Jinora breathed a sigh of relief and let go of the still-stunned Zhou Rhen. “Where are we?”

“Xai Bau’s Grove…” Korra muttered. “It was the first place I could think of...” She looked to Jinora for reaction, but then recalled this place had no meaning to her.

“Zhou Rhen, it’s okay. We’re safe,” Jinora urged.

“I’ve never been so scared in my life!” the young man finally blurted. “Was that a spirit?”

“Yeah, we have uh, some history. Long story,” Korra replied, waving a hand.

Zhou Rhen let out a breath and threw himself down to the ground. “Wait, did you say Xai Bau? He left the White Lotus and started the Red Lotus. There is a place in the Spirit World named after that traitor?”

“Apparently,” Korra groaned. “Is it okay if we stay here for a moment? You won’t burst into flames?”

Zhou Rhen pursed his lips, and started making marks in his notebook.

“Can we just try talking to the spirit?” Jinora suggested.

“I did last time, and we just barely got out.”

“He wouldn’t actually hurt us, right?”

Korra shrugged. “I am the Avatar, but the mileage of that seems to vary among the spirits. I came to ask for help when Kuvira was going to attack, and the spirits brushed me off.”

“They probably see you as replaceable. Since spirits are timeless, how many Avatars have come and gone?” Zhou Rhen commented, not looking up from his notebook.

“Well since my title isn’t even a bargaining chip we need to play it safe and exit through the southern portal. We can go to my parents and find a ride back to Republic City.”

“But that could take days!” Jinora whined.

“I don’t see a better alternative. A vindictive spirit is not worth risking any of our lives over.”

****

The rest of Bolin’s work day went by fast, and he found himself climbing up the steps from the Air Temple docks not really knowing where the day went.

The sound of a boat motor winding down caught his attention and he turned around to see Asami docking her Satoboat.

She waved with one hand and cut off the engine with the other.

“Hey!” Bolin called out, waving back. He took a few steps back down the stairs to hear better.

“How have your first couple of days been at work?” Asami asked, reaching back into the boat and grabbing a shoulder bag from a seat.

Bolin’s stomach fluttered as he recalled his day on the clean-up site. “Great being back out there! Thank you again for hooking me up.”

Asami was just a few steps behind Bolin. He waited so they could climb together.

“Please, no need to thank me. You’re helping me and the city by doing such a dirty job. I won’t forget once that’s over to get you into an apprenticeship.”

Bolin grinned. “You’re the best. So, you think our girlfriends are waiting for us at the temple with our slippers and a warm meal?”

“Have you forgotten who we’re dating?” Asami replied with a scoff.

“I wouldn’t have them any other way. Just knowing I have her to come back to each night is all I need.”

****

“What do you mean she’s gone?” Bolin asked exasperatedly.

“My dad sent her and about twenty other benders to help escort the rest of the evacuees home. They should only be gone a day or two,” Ikki replied meekly.

Bolin’s shoulders fell as he took a seat on the temple courtyard steps. “I mean that’s fine, but it would’ve been nice had she at least said goodbye.”

Asami rested a hand on his arm. “I’m sure she should would have if she could.”

“I knooow… Well since she’s not here, that means I can talk to you about Saturday. You remember that thing I talked to you about outside the portal?”

Asami thought for a moment before nodding.

“I want to do it, Saturday night.”

“Do what?” Ikki asked eagerly.

Bolin scrunched up bashfully. “Ask Opal to marry me.”

Ikki jumped up from her seat, her mouth agape. “Aww! She’s gonna say yes, no doubt about it.”

“Will you guys help me plan?” Bolin asked earnestly.

“Of course!” Ikki started to jump up and down. Her clenched fists scrunched up under her chin. “Another wedding! This is so exciting!”

“Bolin, are you sure you don’t want to ask your brother to help plan?” Asami asked, shifting in her seat. “Isn’t this a sibling thing?”

Bolin looked down at his hands.

“Does he at least know you’re going to ask Opal?” Asami pressed.

Bolin shook his head. “I’ve… been afraid to tell him. I’ve hardly seen him alone since he’s come back. I actually saw him this afternoon, we had lunch together, not on purpose, we just kinda ended up at the same place.” Bolin pressed his palms to his brow. “I shouldn’t say this, but he’s still kinda having trouble with you two and I don’t want to rub my relationship in his face.”

“I think leaving him out will make him feel worse. He’s going to find out at some point.”

“I knooow…” Bolin moaned. “But I’m doing it on a double date he’s not invited to.”

“Why not do it another time? Say, when it’s just you and Opal, or here at the temple?” Asami suggested.

“Do it here! I wanna see!” Ikki added with a squeal.

“Whatever you do, we should maybe give Tenzin a break and have a party at my mansion.”

“Yes! That’s it!” Ikki announced pointing to the sky. “We do both! You four go out to diner Saturday night, to distract Opal, and then bring her back to Asami’s mansion. Everyone else will be waiting there. Bolin asks the question then when she says yes we all pop out and it’s a surprise engagement party!”

Bolin beamed. “Ikki that’s such a good idea!”

The young airbender nodded proudly. “Mako and I can be in charge of the party.”

A door slid open and the three youths turned to see who it was. Tenzin hastily stepped from the door, and moved towards them.

“I just got off the phone with Korra. She, Jinora and Zhou Rhen are with her parents at the South Pole.”

Asami jumped from her seat on the steps. “What! How?”

“I guess they had another run in with the tigerpillar spirit. They had no other choice but to take the long way out,” Tenzin replied, tucking his hands into his robes.

“Well, looks like we’re both flying solo for a few days,” Bolin said with a mischievous grin.

Ikki squealed and bounced up from her seat. “That means all the more time to plan the party!”

Tenzin flinched and looked between the three anxiously. “No more parties. This is a temple, not a venue!”

“Daaad, we won’t do it here. We’re having it at Asami’s! Bolin’s gonna propose to Opal!”

“Congratulations Bolin,” Tenzin said with a slight bow.

Bolin blushed and scratched the back of his head.

“Well no sense in waiting around anymore for them to come back for dinner. Let’s eat,” Tenzin said, waving the three inside.

Ikki dutifully followed her father inside. Bolin moved to follow, but noticed Asami was hanging back so he stayed too.

“Something wrong?”

Asami sucked in a long breath, and then shakily let it out. “I’m going to miss her tonight.”

Bolin smiled and put an arm around her. “Aww, is it going to be long night without your Avatar cuddle muffin?”

Asami snorted at his comment. She reached up and wiped at the tears that had snuck out of the corners of her eyes delicately with the sides of her pointer fingers. “Yes, I am,” she said, trying to be stern, but ending up giggling. “Stupid. I shouldn’t even be crying.”

“Naw, you’re just in that wonderful honeymoon phase of your relationship. Where even their drool covered face in the morning is cute.”

“But it is! And her stupid cheeks get puffy because she sleeps so hard on them,” Asami whined.

“I’ll remember to picture that next time Korra is mad at me. She’ll never be threatening again!”

“Oh please don’t say anything. She does have a reputation to maintain.” Asami took a few more swipes at her cheeks, then checked her hand to make sure she didn’t wipe off any eye makeup. “Okay, I’m ready. Let’s go before Ikki panics.”

“She does to seem to be quite attached,” Bolin said, extending a hand down to Asami, helping her up.

“Well I’m all hers for a few days.”

 

To be continued….

Chapter 36: The Big Night

Notes:

Thank you all for your patience! With the holidays Toast and I needed a little break. Toast, thank you as always for editing, and keeping me accurate!

Chapter Text

 

The day was clear and bright as a large Future Industries airship cut through the sky. Zhou Rhen and Jinora were sitting on steps on the spacious upper deck above the vast gasbag, while Korra was slumped over the railing at the prow.

Zhou Rhen was writing about the events of the past few days in his notebook, looking occasionally to see if Korra had moved from her spot. He noted the Avatar’s mood had been sullen since their departure from her home village. He wondered if it had anything to do with the parting conversation with her parents.

The morning they left was spent around the large dining table in the Southern Water Tribe chief’s palace. They had finished breakfast and were just waiting for a crew member from Miss Sato’s cargo ship to escort them to the dock.

It had been a fairly quiet meal. Avatar Korra’s parents were all caught up on the drama in the Spirit World the previous night, but it seemed no one had much to say now beyond the odd comment about the meal and the weather.

Zhou Rhen had been watching the Avatar push an otter penguin sausage around her plate, while he thought about anything he could or even should say.

He could hardly believe he was sitting with the Avatar’s parents. There were so many questions he wanted to ask them, especially regarding the recent revelation about their daughter’s love life. And not just that, but so many other enquiries he felt their past interviewers failed to ask each time they followed up with the couple.

Avatar Korra finally rested her fork and looked over to her parents. “So Mom, I uh, told Dad this, but realised I forgot to tell you; Asami and I are going to make a formal announcement about our relationship before it comes out accidentally. Her public relations team is going to help facilitate, so hopefully it will go as smoothly as possible.”

“I guess I should give my council members a heads-up,” Chief Tonraq said, more to himself than to his daughter.

“If you’d rather tell them personally, that’s fine.”

Avatar Korra rubbed the back of her head, an anxious habit Zhou Rhen had noted. “I’ll call you before the story is dropped. We’re going to do it through one of the major papers, I think. I can probably give you a few days notice. Please don’t say anything before I give you the okay. We’re trying to control the story.”

Senna opened her mouth, then hesitated. Zhou Rhen could see the woman trying to forge the words in her mind. She let out a little breath through her nose then spoke. “Don’t you think it might be a little soon? You girls haven’t been together very long, and it’s not like you’re getting married. Making a big public announcement, you don’t feel it’s kind of awkward?”

Korra pursed her lips. “I want people to know we’re not ashamed of being together. Besides, we don’t have much of a choice. Not to seem conceited, but Asami and I have very public lives. Someone’s bound to notice, or accidentally say something. Like I said, we’re trying to control the story by getting to tell it our way first.”

“Avatar Korra is making the wisest choice in these circumstances. If you aren’t going to hide, you have to get in front of it,” Zhou Rhen said, leaning into the conversation.

Senna turned to look his way and gestured at him. “You’re a White Lotus member, what do you think about all this?”

Zhou Rhen felt the pressure of four pairs of eyes staring him down. He cleared his suddenly dry throat and looked around the table. His eyes moved from Senna, to Chief Tonraq, to Avatar Korra, ending on Jinora’s hopeful gaze. He knew what he needed to say.

“It it my job to act as Avatar Korra’s counsel, if she so chooses to utilize me,” he quickly clarified, shooting a glance to the Avatar. Her expression was hard to read. “I will advise her on the best course of action through her decisions. I support Avatar Korra’s choice to be open and honest with the public.”

Tonraq smiled and nodded, while Senna’s expression stayed neutral. She looked down at her hands which were now clutching an aqua blue ceramic mug.

“I’m just… scared… for you...” Senna stole a glance at her daughter before focusing on the mug again. “I know saying this to the Avatar sounds silly, but I worry about people hurting you. I hurt you and I’m your own mother.”

“Mom… I appreciate your concern, but this is something Asami and I have to do.”

Even now, sitting on the deck of the airship adding a few finishing touches to his drawing of the tigerpillar, Zhou Rhen could still see the determined look in Avatar Korra’s eyes as she uttered the words to her mother. They weren’t unlike the tigerpillar spirit’s eyes, Zhou Rhen noted.

“So what do you think? Does it look like him?” Zhou Rhen asked, passing his notebook to Jinora.

Jinora accepted the book and examined the image. The drawing was a bit crude, but effective. “I think it does. Korra should really take a look, she’s had the most encounters with him.” She glanced towards the bow and cupped her hands. “Hey Korra, wanna look at this picture?”

The Avatar flinched, and slowly pulled her elbows off the railing. “Not really.”

“What’s wrong Korra? You’ve been moping the whole trip.”

Korra dramatically sighed with her whole body. “You’re gonna make fun of me.”

“We promise we won’t,” Jinora replied. She shot a quick wink to Zhou Rhen. He didn’t understand the gesture.

“I’m worried about Asami…”

“Why?”

Korra removed herself from the railing and shoved her hands in her pocket. “Not like that she’s in danger, but…”

“But…?” Jinora started, trying to suppress the corners of her mouth creeping upwards.

“Well, when I spoke to her on the phone before we left, she was acting kinda weird. Like she wasn’t telling me everything.” As she spoke, the Avatar’s eyes narrowed at the growing grin on Jinora’s face. “See, that’s why I didn’t want to say anything.”

“I believe you, Avatar Korra,” Zhou Rhen offered, breaking his silence.

Jinora jabbed him in the side with her elbow. “Don’t be a suck up.”

As if summoning her, Korra was now in front of them. “I’d be happy to look at your drawing, Zhou Rhen,” she said, shooting Jinora a snide glance as she pulled the book from her and brought it closer for inspection.

“Yeah, that’s him alright. What is his problem?” Korra asked herself. She stared into the wild eyes of the tigerpillar, hoping to gain some understanding through the drawing, but that’s all it was. She sighed and passed the book to Zhou Rhen. “Not a bad sketch. Keep up the good work.”

“Thank you… Do you think there is a reason why Miss Sato would be distant towards you? Did something happen before you parted?” Zhou Rhen asked as casually as he could muster.

Korra considered the questions. Even making brief eye contact made him so hopeful, that it hurt all the more when she turned her body away. “I’m going to go take a nap. Jinora, poke me if I don’t wake up before we make it back.”

 

***

Opal hadn’t felt this tired since the long flight back from the Earth Kingdom after rescuing her family. Though she felt guilty evening thinking about complaining, as she thought back to the refugees she was walking beside earlier that day.

The land caravan was slow going. The bison were tasked with ferrying the refugees’ belongings and anyone too vulnerable to walk. That meant most of them had to travel the whole way back by foot. Late that afternoon the caravan finally arrived in Republic City after two days of walking. The were escorted to the makeshift displacement camp President Raiko had been tasked to fund, and Tenzin to help implement. It wasn’t much to look at, but they were all assured it was a work in progress. Once settled the travelers were encouraged to go into the city to see if their homes or business were still standing.

Tenzin insisted Opal return to the temple before she had a chance to find out if the people she had escorted had a place to go. She felt guilty leaving, but now that she was almost home, the prospect of a hot bath was all too exciting.

The grounds were strangely quiet. She knew a good portion of the temple was in town assisting the refugees, but it appeared the whole island was gone.

Opal made her way to the dorms to grab a few personal items to take into the baths. On her way in, she caught a glance of her reflection. “Ugh, Tenzin must have sent me here so I wouldn’t scare the refugees away.”

After a long soak, Opal felt human again. She towelled off and when she moved to pull out a fresh pair of underclothes from her trunk, she noticed a wrapped package on her bed.

She furrowed her brow as she stepped towards it. Had it been there the whole time and she was too tired to notice or was she not as alone as she thought? A small white envelope rested atop the package. Opal hastily opened it.

“Miss Opal Beifong, your presence is requested tonight at the Sunset Lounge. A dress has been provided for you. We hope it is to your liking. Please be ready at the docks by eight.” Opal couldn’t help but smirk as she rested the card on her bed and moved to open the dress box.

 

***

“You get a note too?” Opal called out to Korra, who was seated on the railing at the Air Temple Island dock.

Korra watched Opal descended the stairs. “I think our partners are up to something.” Korra looked Opal up and down, then frowned. “I didn’t get a new dress, though.”

“Maybe this is Bolin’s subtle way of saying he didn’t like the last one I wore?” Opal offered, taking a seat next to Korra. “Well this is when Bolin and I said we’d be taking you and Asami out on a double date, but it appears I’ve been demoted to guest.”

“Ahoy ladies!” a familiar male voice called out.

The girls turned to see Bumi at the helm of a small boat. He had changed from his air suit and instead was donning his military jacket and hat. “Going ashore?”

Korra and Opal made their way down the steps and boarded Bumi’s boat. The older man helped them in, since they were in more confining clothing than they were accustomed to.

It was a thankfully short ride across the water. Bumi only had time for a brief tale about his times at sea. Once at the Republic City dock, he gave the girls a sweeping bow as they exited the boat. Waiting for them at the pier was an older man in suit jacket and chauffeur’s hat, standing in front of shiney black closed-roof Satomobile.

“Good evening Avatar Korra, Miss Beifong,” the driver said, taking his hat off and bowing. “My name is Hong. Miss Sato and Master Bolin request your presence at the Sunset Lounge right away.”

“Master Bolin?” Opal repeated with a snort. “So you really didn’t have any idea about all this?”

“No, I was stuck in the South Pole, I just got back this evening too,” Korra replied with her hands up defensively.

“What were you doing all the way out there?”

Korra let out a full body sigh. “Spirit Portal stuff, long story.”

“Ah, the Tigerpillar chase you there?” Opal asked, stepping into the vehicle.

“I’m gonna figure out a way to get through to that moo-sow-headed spirit.”

When both women were seated inside, Hong closed their door and moved to the driver’s side.

The passenger area of the Satomobile was quite spacious. There was a bench in the rear facing forwards, and a second bench that put your back to the driver. Opal and Korra choose to sit side by side facing forward. On the adjacent bench they both noticed a bottle resting on the seat with ribbon around the neck and a note card attached.

Opal made the move to collect the gift. She pulled off the note and passed the bottle to Korra.

“M’ladies,” Opal started. “Please enjoy a glass of wine, before you join us to dine. We hope you are not too late, to our very first double date. Until we see you, we’ll sit and pine. Dinner starts quarter to nine. Bolin must have written this one. I can’t imagine Asami being this cheesey,” Opal said with a chuckle, examining the card’s writing.

“Bottle’s already open and uncorked. See any glasses?” Korra asked.

They both turned to their seat’s  armrests and found the answer to their question.

“You think you can do this without spilling?”

“I’ll bend it. I have much better control that way.” Korra removed the cork, then coaxed the liquid out and into their glasses with a few waves of her hands.

Opal gave her a quick applause. “You should do parties.”

“I don’t want to be known as Avatar that did parlor tricks. I’m trying to cultivate a more mature public persona.”

“How’s that going?”

“Untested…” Korra muttered.

Opal lifted her glass and Korra mirrored the action. “To your more mature public persona.”

Korra grinned and moved to clink her glass with Opal’s.

***

“Oooh this is so exciting! Everyone should be showing up real soon!” Ikki chirped, pacing back and forth in the foyer of Asami’s mansion. “Where do you think we should hide? All together in one spot, or surprise them from all angles?”

“Yeah,” Mako replied blandly, taking a swig from his glass.

“Aren’t you excited?” Ikki asked, stopping in front of Mako to get in his face. “Your brother is going to get married!”

“I am, I am,” Mako muttered, leaning away from the enthusiastic young girl.

“You sure aren’t acting like it. You better pretend harder when Bolin and them arrive.”

Mako sighed as he looked into his vanishing drink. He was truly happy for his brother. He was just also tired from setting up a party and anxious about seeing his two ex-girlfriends fresh off a hot date together.

The front door opened and Hong entered, removing his driving cap. “Miss Korra and Miss Beifong have been delivered. I will leave in about an hour to collect them. Is there anything else you need me to get before guests start arriving?”

“We have plenty of snacks and drinks.” Ikki put a hand to her chin as she thought. “Do you have any noise-maker thingys? Or any other kinda party favors?”

“I can check, Master Sato held a party or two here back in his younger days,” Hong replied, heading towards the sitting room. He walked through a door located right outside in another hallway. He flicked on the lights and disappeared inside one of the servants’ corridors before Ikki could catch up.

She eventually did and parked herself in front of the door to a closet he was searching through. “Have you always been Asami’s butler?”

“Yes, all her life.”

“So you’re kinda like her grandpa?” Ikki asked

“You could say that I suppose.”

“This is a really big closet, even if there are any party supplies, you think we’d ever find them?”

Mako could faintly hear Ikki’s chattering so he closed the door of the foyer and breathed a sigh of relief. All that mindless talking reminded him of Prince Wu.

“Or just I guess just Wu now…” Mako muttered to himself. The realization wasn’t new, but he still had trouble dropping the title; perhaps it was because the foolish prince was always so insistent on being called as such.

Mako exited the foyer from a second door into the mansion, parallel to the one he had closed Ikki behind. Looking around the large hallway, he recalled it really wasn’t so long ago when he was visiting Wu and his grandmother here. It felt a lifetime ago when came as Asami’s boyfriend.

Mako found himself outside the pool room. He closed his eyes remembering the time they were all together in the water. Back when he was with Asami, but wanted Korra.

“I’m sorry Asami, that must have sucked.”

“What must have sucked?” Ikki asked, poking Mako’s arm. He flinched and jumped away from the young girl.

“IKKI!” he hollered. “Don’t do that!”

“Sorry, I was calling for you, but you just kept staring at the pool. So what sucks?”

Mako winced at her word choice. She was right next to him now, her big inquisitive eyes staring up at him. “How Korra, Asami and I have been to each other in the past.”

“I guess that’s true. I was kinda bad too, I told Asami that Korra liked you, before you started dating.”

“Clearly it’s not a problem between you three anymore. None of it is. Everything was fine, is fine! Korra wants me to be happy. Asami too.”

Ikki took a few steps away, startled by his outburst, but kept her eyes intently on him.

“Don’t be sorry. You deserve to be happy,” he could hear himself saying to Korra out in the Earth Kingdom’s desert.

“So do you,” Korra had answered back.

“I guess I don’t know what will make me happy… If I’m honest, being with either of them never actually did.”

“Your brother getting married makes you happy, right?” Ikki asked.

Mako slouched and groaned.“Yes, of course. I promise I’ll be more enthusiastic when they get here.”

“Sometimes when I feel down, I think about people I care abouts happiness. And I try to focus on that, to help jumpstart my happy again.”

“That’s not a bad idea.”

“I think it will help your new-girlfriend prospects too. That grimace on your face isn’t doing you any favors,” Ikki said with a smirk.

“Thank you for your counsel.”

Ikki clasped her hands together as if to say a prayer. “Now bow to your sensei.”

“Don’t push your luck,” Mako muttered, scowling.

“Miss Ikki!” Hong faintly called from another room.

“He must have found some!” Ikki squealed, bounding away.

***

After exiting the Satomobile, Opal and Korra stood directly outside the Sunset Lounge. It was located in the heart of downtown Republic City, tucked down a side street between two tall commercial buildings. The building’s elaborate upward curving roof gave away that it was a Fire Nation restaurant, along with the wooden exterior being painted black with red trim and accents. A red carpet was laid out in front of the entrance, stopping short of right where the duo stood.

A woman in traditional Fire Nation robes stood by the door, unmoving until Korra and Opal came closer. She bowed deeply before opening the door for them. Korra awkwardly waved to the woman, as she trailed behind Opal.

“And I thought the Sighing Lotus was posh…” Opal murmured, looking around the foyer of the restaurant. “This feels kinda wrong, all things considered.”

“What do you mean?” Korra asked, before a man clearing his throat grabbed the girls’ attention.

“Avatar Korra? Miss Beifong?” asked a tall man with grey streaks in his silky black hair and tightly trimmed beard. They could feel his eyes roaming up and down their attire. They nodded awkwardly.

“Normally we enforce a dress code, but I guess we can make an exception for the Avatar. Follow me, the rest of your party is this way.” The host sharply turned on his black shiny heels and began walking away before Korra could even rebuff his statement.

“Again, why didn’t I get a new dress?” Korra asked, exasperated.

***

“Do you think she liked the dress? It won’t come off as criticism of her other clothing, right?” Bolin asked, turning towards Asami in their dimly-lit booth.

The seating was very intimate. A small round table nestled inside a dark oak booth, padded bench seating all the way around. The opening to the booth was about the width of a chair, so only one person could stand in front of the table. There was an ornate arch over the opening, and a deep red curtain hung on one side. If you wanted more privacy you could close the curtain, completely sealing you away from the eyes of the other patrons.

“For the hundredth time Bolin, no. That was a sweet gesture and she will definitely love it.”

“Okay, okay. I’ve never bought her clothes before. A whole new relationship experience, you know?” Bolin leaned in. “I feel like I can barely see you, should I ask for another candle. I’m gonna go find someone…”

Asami rested a hand on his shoulder. “I know you’re fretting about little things, so you don’t fret about proposing, but I need you to calm down. They’ll be here any - here they are.”

The pair shot up straight in their seats and flashed big, not-at-all-innocent-looking, grins. The host stood in front of the booth with Korra and Opal at either side.

“A waitress will be with you shortly to take your drink orders.” The host gave a slight bow and left.

Once he was gone, everyone relaxed. Korra and Opal squeezed into the booth next to their respective partners.

“Oh Opal, I’ve missed you so much, even though you didn’t say goodbye!” Bolin sighed, taking both her hands into his.

“I didn’t have a choice! Tenzin just woke up that morning and decided who was going on the spot.”

As Bolin and Opal lightheartedly bickered back and forth, Asami and Korra turned to each other.

“I missed you,” Asami whispered, laying a hand on Korra’s thigh.

The Avatar blushed and moved one of her own hands to cover Asami’s. “I missed you too. I was worried… you were so evasive on the phone. I completely forgot we were already planning on going out with them this weekend.”

“Sorry about that. I wanted it to be a little bit of a surprise for you too.”

“It is. Thank you...”

“Asami! She loves the dress!” Bolin interrupted.

The women turned to look back across the round table to see the other couple.

“I told you,” Asami replied with a smirk.

“Asami it’s perfect. Thank you for helping him pick it out,” Opal said, placing a hand on her chest.

Bolin flinched. “Wait, how’d you know-“

Opal winked. “Please, I know you couldn’t pick out something this tasteful on your own.”

“Bolin had the final say, and paid for it.” Asami offered.

“It’s wonderful,” Opal murmured as she leaned over and kissed Bolin.

Korra cleared her throat. “Is there a reason why I didn’t also get a new dress for the evening? That host guy almost didn’t let me in. Which, considering this is traditional Water Tribe formal attire, is a little racist, right?”

Asami learned to whisper in Korra’s ear. “Shooshh. You’ll see why later.” To cover, Asami then pecked Korra on the cheek.

A waitress appeared and the four moved apart from each other, to fumble for the pile of menus on the table.

“I can come back if you need more time,” she offered, with a knowing smile.

Bolin waved a hand. “No don’t be silly, I can order for the table. Where is the wine list...”

The waitress pulled a second, slimmer menu from the table and passed it to Bolin.

He took it with an awkward grin. “Let’s see, how about we share a bottle of…” His confidence waned as he looked down the extensive list. “Hoo boy, there sure are a lot of different kinds of wine...”

Asami found a second wine menu, glanced at it for a moment, and then leaned in towards the waitress. “Can you please bring us a bottle of the Ember Field red?”

Bolin slapped down his own menu. “Yes, exactly. Was just about to say the same thing.” He folded his hands together over the menu and grinned again at the waitress.

“I’ll be right back with the bottle,” the waitress replied with a bow. The group relaxed after she departed.

Opal looked to the curtain beside her, and reached up to touch the velvety fabric. “This a privacy curtain?”

Asami hummed and nodded.

Opal gave the fabric a test tug, before dropping her hand. “Seems a little much. In case you want to makeout over dinner?”

“Discretion is one of their selling points. Basically this is a fancy restaurant for people who don’t want to be recognized when they go out,” Asami explained.

“So politicians, mover stars and people having affairs?” Opal asked.

Asami waved her hand. “I’m sure one of each of those is dining here tonight.”

“We have the mover star,” Korra added, pointing to Bolin. He pretended to be bashful and gave her a little wave.

“Would you and Asami be considered having an affair?” Bolin then asked wiggling his eyebrows.

Before Korra could respond, the waitress appeared with the bottle and four glasses. She placed one in front of each of them, then moved to open the wine. They all watched as she slowly maneuvered the cork from the mouth of the bottle.

The waitress then poured a small amount into Asami’s glass. Like a connoisseur, Asami collected her glass, and raised it to her nose. She then swirled the liquid around a few times, before finally taking a sip. Opal, Bolin and Korra unconsciously leaned in, awaiting her verdict.

After a few small smacks of her lips, Asami smiled and nodded to the waitress. At the command she began pouring more generous servings to each of them, and left once finished.

Alone again, they reached for their glasses.

“A toast?” Opal asked, raising her wine.

“Yes!” Bolin puffed up his chest and raised his glass higher. “I want to remind us all why we are here. Not too long ago, our dear friends, Korra and Asami disappeared during a certain wedding party, leaving us all to wonder; what the hell happened to them?”

“We’re never going to hear the end of that,” Korra muttered under her breath.

“I mean you left a note, so we knew where you were, it was more a question of why? And somehow, Bumi totally called it. Like, just blurted out he thought it was a date, in front of everyone, Tenzin, your parents.”

Opal poked Bolin in the ribs and shot him a warning look.

“But in all seriousness, while debating your love life, Opal and I realized that, through fate or mere coincidence, meeting you, Korra, forever changed the course of our lives. Opal and I would have never met.” Bolin looked to his girlfriend. His heart swelled as she warmly smiled back at him.

Opal turned to Korra and Asami. “So at that moment we decided we could at least take you, and your possible, now definitie girlfriend out to dinner to say thank you.” She then clinked her class to Korra, and they all started tapping their glasses together.

After taking a sip, Korra sighed. “Thank you, but I didn’t actually do anything. You two came together on your own.”

Opal shook her head. “Don’t fight this. You know what we mean.”

“It’s true Korra, you changed all our lives. I often wonder about the person I would have been, had you never come to the city,” Asami added.

Bolin nodded vigorously as he waited for Asami to finish. “Yeah me too. Sure, Mako and I weren’t on the streets anymore, but you joining our pro-bending team was what really brought us to the next level. And most importantly of all, fighting alongside you made us care about things that are bigger than ourselves, you know?”

“Well, I hope you all realize I owe the same to you. I was a cocky, stubborn brat. I grew up sheltered with everyone around me saying I farted sunshine. I’m the person I am today because of my experiences alongside all of you. Mako too. Who knows Asami if you and I would have met if you hadn’t run him over?”

Asami chuckled and took a sip of wine. “Does that mean we need to take Mako out to dinner too?”

“When he dates again, why don’t we make it a triple. I think that would be less awkward than Mako alone with three women he’s dated,” Opal offered.

Bolin leaned back in his seat. “Oh man, I’d kill to be a fly on the wall for that evening.”

“He doesn’t perform well at dinner under pressure. I witnessed that first hand.”

“Too bad it didn’t work out with that woman,” Korra sighed.

“Trust me, it’s for the best.” Opal urged. “She was too clever for him.”

****

About an hour later the dinner was wrapping up. Everyone but Korra had pushed their plate towards the center of the table to gesture they we done.

“So how do you two feel about coming back to the mansion for dessert? I got some imported tea from the Earth Kingdom that is to die for,” Asami asked as she watched the waitress leave with their plates.

“What do you think, Opal?” Bolin asked, flashing a big nervous grin.

“Sure, I don’t want to derail you guys’ big plans.” Opal shrugged.

Asami and Bolin dared a look to each other. Bolin’s lip started to quiver.

“Sounds good to me,” Korra added, clueless to the growing tension. 

“Is something wrong?” Asami asked cautiously.

“No, it’s just…” Opal sat back in her seat more casually, crossing her arms across her chest. “You want to ruin this evening?” she muttered to herself.

“Opal honey, you can tell us.”

“Ugh. I can’t shake this guilty feeling I’ve had all night.”

“Guilty?” Bolin repeated.

“Yeah, after walking besides so many people who’ve potentially lost everything, then in the same day go out to a fancy dinner. It just feels a little wrong, you know? And it’s not you guys’ fault, this was planned beforehand and it’s been wonderful. I  am just having a hard time enjoying it.”

“I should have been there with you. I had no idea the Air Nation are was planning on doing that” Korra admitted.

“Like I said, Tenzin sprung it on us. Besides you were stuck in the Spirit World.”

“Accomplishing so much in there…” Korra muttered to herself.

Asami leaned towards Opal. “How are the accommodations for the displaced citizens?”

“They’re fine, I guess, depending how many there truly end up being. We were having them go check the condition of their homes, some people still might have a place to go back to. Then we gotta deal with the rest in the long term.”

Asami bowed her head and pinched the neck of her wine glass between her two fingers, gently swirling the remaining red liquid.

Korra plopped her arms on the table, then shifted to hold herself up by her elbows. Her table manners were starting to finally wane. “Raiko’s being helpful through this too? I’m really starting to not recognize him…”

“Listen, I’m sorry to bring this all up now over our date… but I guess I do feel a little better at least talking about it.”

“I’ll go with you tomorrow to help,” Korra offered.

“Me too, if my boss doesn’t mind,” Bolin asked, looking to Asami. She was still mulling over her wine, but looked up when she felt his eyes.

“I can donate my mansion. We could turn it into a transition home for our more vulnerable displaced citizens.”

Opal held up her hands, as if to defend herself. “Asami, I didn’t mean to guilt you into giving up your home.”

“You didn’t. Since Bolin’s family left I’ve been trying to figure out what I was going do with it. It’s way too big and I’ve lived in an apartment downtown for years at this point. Since my father went to jail it hasn’t felt much like home… and now that’s wherever Korra is,” Asami said, stealing a glance at her girlfriend. “So why don’t you all come back for dessert and to scope the place out. We can start planning the new layout so we have something to present to Tenzin.”

“I think I we could do that,” Opal replied.

“Alright then.” Asami glanced at her watch. “Hong should be waiting outside. Bolin, you want to come with me to pay the bill and to check for him?”

“Yes!” Bolin cried almost jumping from his seat.

***

When cool night air hit Asami and Bolin’s faces they both breathed sighs of relief.

“Oh my goodness that was close… thank you Asami, I owe you a new mansion.”

“Are you ready? You got the ring?”

Bolin patted his jacket’s pockets until he located the one containing the ring. “Yes, still got it.”

“Remember which pocket so you don’t fumble for it.” Asami looked down the alley and waved for Hong. He pulled up to the curb and lowered his window.

“Everything set up?” Asami asked, stepping up to the satomobile

“Yes Miss Sato. Little Miss Ikki has been quite the taskmaster.”

“Great.” Asami glanced behind her to see Opal and Korra exiting the restaurant. “We’re ready to go home.”

***

The ride to Asami’s mansion was fairly quiet. Hong stopped the Satomobile in front of the main entrance. He then swiftly moved to open the passenger door. The two couples exited and made their way to the front steps.

“I hope that special tea is caffeinated,” Opal said through a yawn.

Asami smiled. “Oh I think you’ll perk up from sheer excitement.”

“This must be some tea,” Korra muttered.

“You could even call it, matra-mone-tea,” Bolin said, flashing a grin to his girlfriend.

“Wha?” Opal breathed.

Bolin put a balled fist to his face, and cleared his throat. Then dramatically he brushed out the tails of his jacket as he descended to one knee. Opal slapped her hands over mouth and took a few steps back as she watched him pull a ring from his pocket.

“Opal, my darling. You mean the world to me and I want to take on the world with you. Will you officially make my family yours, and your family mine, and be my blushing Air Nomad bride?”

“Of course I will,” Opal muttered through her tears. “Just as long as you stop speaking in verse.”

“Whatever you wish my love!” Bolin cried jumping back up. He held out his hand for hers, and Opal shakily put her left hand in his. Bolin slipped the right on and then pulled her into a kiss.

Once they separated, Bolin grabbed his fiancée by the hand and pulled her into the house. The foyer was so dark, they couldn’t see an inch in front of their noses.

“Why are we-” Opal started to protest but stopped when the lights switched on revealing a crowd of expectant people.

“She said yes!” Bolin cheered, holding their clasped hands up victoriously.

The crowd broke into an applause and cheers. Ikki bounded towards them with a colorful tube. She ripped a string from the back and colorful strips of paper flew at the couple.

“Congratulations!” the young girl cheered, bouncing up and down.

Mako appeared before the couple with three glasses of fizzing liquid and passed one to each of them. Then he held up the one he kept for himself. He turned back to the group, showing his raised glass. Everyone with a drink mirrored his action. Mako then turned back to his brother and Opal. “To Opal and Bolin!”

“To Opal and Bolin!” the crowded parroted back.

Mako clinked his glass to Bolin’s and then Opal’s. “Opal, now we made it official.”

Opal chuckled and clinked Mako’s glass one more time.

Bolin quirked an eyebrow and looked between the two. “Wha?”

“Don’t worry about it,” Opal muttered before taking a sip.

“You said yes, my days of worry are finally over!” Bolin exclaimed encircling Mako and Opal’s heads under his arms and squeezing them close. “Let’s party!

 

To be continued…

Chapter 37: She Has a Girlfriend Now

Notes:

Thank you TheToasterMarketingBoard for your edits! You always make the ideas a fleshed out reality!

Chapter Text

***

There was lots of activity in the main boardroom of Future Industries’ corporate office that morning. Kali, Asami’s personal secretary, ushered members of the public relations and marketing departments into the room as they arrived, making sure the discussions in the lobby were not about the upcoming meeting. Korra stood beside the table, anxiously awaiting the start of the meeting.

“I hope that’s not what you plan on wearing,” Min asked Korra, stopping right in front of her. She pulled her glasses down the bridge of her nose and squinted to further inspect the Avatar’s clothing.

“Huh?” was all Korra could get out.

Asami joined the two and ushered Min towards the other members of the public relations team. “She’s the Avatar, this is what she wears. Please be respectful,” Asami chided in a hushed tone. She looked around the room at the rest of her employees. “This is just a strategy meeting. Please keep that in mind, everyone.”

“Yes Miss Sato,” everyone chirped back.

“Why am I getting so much grief over my clothes lately?” Korra asked, pulling at a bit of her pants.

“Postwar stress, people are focusing on what little things in their lives they can control, like fashion?” Asami suggested.

“Well, what is it about what I’m wearing that’s sticking out to people? It’s all traditional Water Tribe clothes.”

“That’s just it. It’s a look of the old world.”

Korra crossed her arms in a pout. “Is this because of Varrick and his campy Nuktuk movers?”

“I don’t think they helped.”

“We have citizens without homes and what I’m wearing in an interview is the big topic of discussion?”

Asami rested her hands her Korra’s shoulders, facing her. “Don’t worry babe, we’re going to be addressing that,” Asami said quietly, raising a hand to stroke Korra’s cheek. Korra closed her eyes and leaned into the touch. “Also I wanted to give you a heads up, I invited Jinora and Zhou Rhen.”

Korra’s eyes shot open.

“They should be here any minute, so let’s take a seat so we can get this started,” Asami said with a quick pat and moved towards the table.

***

“Are you sure this is going to be okay?” Zhou Rhen asked as he clutched his notebook tighter to his chest.

“Why are you asking me? Asami invited you,” Jinora shot back.

Zhou Rhen sighed and thought back to the night of the engagement party. Jinora had insisted he was welcome at the affair. There were so many people, he realized even if he wasn’t, who would notice?

It was about an hour after the party truly started when he was approached by Miss Sato.

“You’re Zhou Rhen, right?” she asked, taking the free space against the wall beside him.

He blushed and examined the woman standing next to him. He opened his mouth but nothing came out.

Asami shifted her drink from one hand to the other, so she could comfortably offer her hand to him. “Asami Sato.”

“Of course,” Zhou Rhen breathed, taking her hand. “Avatar Korra’s girlfriend…”

“I understand your organization has some concerns about that.”

“Miss Sato, I don’t-”

“You can call me Asami.”

“Asami, I don’t want you to get the wrong impression about me or the White Lotus.” Zhou Rhen paused and sighed, collecting his thoughts. “It’s complicated…”

“It may surprise you, but I understand the reservations. I want to assure you this will be handled with the utmost care. I’m aware that the White Lotus is a highly regarded organization, and in many ways, Korra is the face of it. She isn’t the only one taking a risk here. I represent my company. If this goes poorly it could have a huge effect on my business.”

“It sounds like you’ve given this some thought.”

“It’s still a work in progress… I want you to know that there is still a place for you in all of this. I respect the White Lotus and appreciate all it does for Korra. So, I am willing to allow your input during the public relations meeting we’re planning. I also think Korra just hasn’t realized that you are an asset to her. It’s important she has people she can talk to that can challenge her, that think differently than she does. One day she’ll come around.”

“Jinora thinks so too. I just can’t imagine when that will be…”

“Wish I could tell you. In the meantime, I will have my secretary provide you with the details of the meeting. Enjoy the party.”

“Yeah, thanks…” Zhou Rhen muttered as he watched her saunter away.

***

“Ready?” Jinora asked, tugging at his sleeve, bringing him back to the present.

Jinora entered the boardroom with Zhou Rhen timidly following behind. Everyone was already seated, except Min. The pair claimed the only two vacant seats next to each other, directly across from Korra and Asami.

Once seated, Asami pointed them out. “Everyone, these are Korra’s associates. Master Jinora of Air Temple Island and Zhou Rhen of the White Lotus. They are here to advise on Avatar-related issues.”

Jinora and Zhou Rhen gave the room small and embarrassed waves.

“These are some members of the marketing department. Senior marketer Geng, and Junior marketer Tran. My personal assistant Kali. Head of Public Relations Min Yang is facilitating the discussion,” Asami said, pointing around the table to the left of her, then pausing on Min who was prowling around the table like a pygmy puma. She then began pointing down the other side. “Then we have Min’s public relations staff members, Dawn, Ena, and Namiyo. Now that we are all introduced, why don’t we start?” Asami said, motioning to Min.

Min smiled and pushed the bridge of her glasses up her nose before speaking. “As you are all aware, we are here to help facilitate Miss Sato and Avatar Korra’s announcement of their relationship. The goals of today’s meeting are to brainstorm any potential backlash scenarios and how to best handle or avoid them. We will also be settling on an agreed upon list of acceptable questions and answers regarding the relationship. Miss Sato and Avatar Korra are taking a big personal risk by being transparent with the public; we have to protect them from any potential abuse.”

Asami rose from her seat and addressed the room. “I want to thank you all for taking the time out of your day to help us with this. I won’t lie and say I’m not nervous about the days to come. It means a lot knowing we have a brilliant team supporting us through this big announcement.”

Asami looked down to Korra and smiled. She gave a slight nod of her head towards the group. It took a moment before Korra understood the cue. Her cheeks flushed and she looked out around the table. So many eyes were peering back at her.

“Yeah… we uh, really appreciate your help,” Korra managed to croak out. She slid down in her seat a bit, embarrassed by what little she could mutter in response.

Fortunately, Min took command of the room again. “So, who do we have to call upon as character witnesses if things go sour? Public figures preferred.”

“My father Tenzin,” Jinora chirped.

“Ah yes, and he’s somewhat of a spiritual leader, that’s good. Who else?” Min asked, looking around the large table.

Asami spoke up. “Chief Beifong, though she’s not one for words.”

“The city respects her and knows her mannerisms. I think a cut and dry approval is all a lot of citizens need.”

“Suyin Beifong, I think....” Korra offered.

“Suyin one hundred percent, asked or not. But I would put her on the bottom of the list, she has her own agendas,” Asami directed.

Korra cocked her head. “What do you mean?”

“She’s pushing for marriage.”

“Our marriage?” Korra asked, her face flushed red.

“No, just our right to, if we ever so choose. She wants to legalize gay marriage.”

“You mentioned supporting that movement,” Min added.

“Yes, and I still do, I’d just like to keep some distance between that campaign and my and Korra’s announcement. We’re not getting married, we’re just trying to be honest with the public.”

“People are going to ask if that is why you’re making this announcement. We need to make sure you both have a confident answer to that.” Min emphasized her point by jabbing her pen in the air at them.

Korra sunk down in her seat, her face still pink.

“Welp, we’ve already broken Korra,” Jinora giggled.

“I can do this!” Korra protested. “It’s just embarrassing. I didn’t have to put it in the papers when Mako and I dated.”

“Mako, that’s the pro-bender guy you both dated?” Kali asked.

Korra and Asami nodded.

“He’s a police officer, right? Is this information well known?” Min asked, looking around the room. Some of the staff nodded, while others shrugged.

“The tabloids will dig it up. When it inevitably arises, how we gonna handle it?”

Dawn, one of the public relations staff members, raised her hand. Min pointed for her to speak. “This is only embarrassing for Mako, right? It shouldn’t affect Miss Sato or Avatar Korra.”

Asami frowned. “We’re not throwing Mako under the bus. Let’s see how it plays out, and we can offer him whatever support he needs.”

“Noted. By the way, how is he with it? How much prodding would it take before he’d break civility?” Min asked, looking down the bridge of her nose.

“Mako is a police officer, I think he can handle a little back talk. I’ll send him on a vacation if it gets bad,” Asami replied, waving off the sentiment.

“Got it. This is all worse case, our goal is to keep you two so busy with do-gooding that no one has time to dig around for petty gossip. We have reached out to The Republic magazine to conduct the interview that will reveal your relationship to the public. They have been told it’s going to be a casual sit-down conversation focused on two prominent female leaders in the community, Avatar Korra and Miss Sato. I advised them in order to get this exclusive interview they must agree to only ask our list of approved questions. It took a lot of cajoling to get them to agree to that, but we promised the condition would be worth it given the importance of the story.”

“Plus we doubled the number of Satomobile ads we’re buying with them for the next year,” Tran from Marketing chipped in.

“That too,” Min continued. “My team has assembled a list of the most common and appropriate questions. I just need to get your approval,” Min explained, gesturing to Korra and Asami. The pair nodded.

“The first couple of questions are going to be obvious, get the point of the interview out of the way. Question one: Avatar Korra and Asami Sato, why are you sitting down with us today? You reply with the announcement of your relationship, and Asami you can throw in your mansion’s renovation into The Yasuko Sato House for Vulnerable Citizens, or wait to conclude the interview with it.” Min paused and checked to see that everyone was following. She then started again. “Wow this is unexpected, when did it start? You reply with a general time, like when you actually talked about it or started calling each other your girlfriend. Want to try throwing out an answer?”

Korra and Asami looked at each other.

“I’ll go…” they both started.

Min smirked. “For the actual interview, I recommend deciding ahead of time who answers what, or a cue to let each other know that you’ll go first.”

They both nodded.

“I’m going to need more practice, so I can go,” Korra offered. She took a deep breath and paused.

“Pretend you’re telling this to a friend,” Min encouraged.

Korra looked to Jinora. “It started in the Spirit World. I was trying to tell Asami how I felt when a good friend of mine crashed in on us.”

Jinora smirked. “It really started when these two disappeared during the middle of a wedding party.”

Min frowned. “Maybe less casual…”

Asami cleared her throat and sat upright, scooching close to the table. “We can’t exactly say when we fell for each other. It wasn’t until after the war and when we were alone in the Spirit World that we were ready to admit it. It wasn’t something we sought out, we both resisted in our own ways, but it just happened. Then we were both so relieved to find out the other felt the same way.”

“Show off…” Korra murmured grumpily, but her lips were smiling.

Geng from marketing raised his hand. “I’ve noticed some resentment around their multiple vacations.”

“This news explains them,” Jinora offered.

Geng shrugged. “Doesn’t really justify them though.”

“People need to get over that. Did the world burn down while we were gone?” Korra asked, crossing her arms. “No.”

“Korra, everyone here hasn’t taken any issue with our vacations,” Asami looked around the room, beginning to doubt her conviction. “I’m assuming.”

Korra threw one of her fists down on the table. “I’m sick of apologizing for the greatest week of my life. I would have told you how I felt eventually, it was bursting inside me. But I can’t stress how meaningful having the space and privacy of being in the middle of the Spirit World was to me. I’m the Avatar, I have so little private space. But for a few days, we had a world of our own.”

Asami blushed and laid a hand over Korra’s clenched fist.

“That was perfect, maybe tone down the aggression just a little bit, but otherwise moving stuff.” Min clutched her clipboard to her chest. “You two are just so cute… Moving on, what would you say to citizens who are concerned about the Avatar dating a prominent figure in the business world who might gain from your influence?”

“They’re crazy, because Asami has done nothing but give back and save Republic City over and over again.” Korra looked around the room to see everyone staring. ‘What would a mature Avatar say?’ “I approve the question, but I’m going to need help answering that.”

***

After the meeting concluded, Asami coerced Korra, Jinora, and Zhou Rhen to have lunch together, her treat, to process the meeting. Just like earlier, Jinora and Zhou Rhen were seated across from Korra and Asami.

“So, Zhou Rhen, overall how do you feel about the approved questions?” Asami asked while casually glancing at the check. She absently fished for bills in her purse.

“I think they should be fine. It’s all questions everyone is going to ask anyway, might as well just answer them right out of the gate.”

Asami counted out the bills before resting them in the tray atop the check. “Do you want to send them to the White Lotus? We can get one more level of approval if that would help.”

“No!” Zhou Rhen said nearly shouting. “No… I’m the representative that was selected, and it is up to my judgment.”

“They don’t know you’re supporting this, do they?” Jinora asked.

Korra looked between the two across the table. “What does she mean?”

“Well, as you probably concluded, I was sent here to advise you with the full knowledge of your plans. Tenzin sent for me to specifically counsel you through this period. I was instructed to discourage you from making your relationship public and offer you all available support to maintain the status quo. But it’s not up to me or the White Lotus to tell you what to do. You are a legal adult and we don’t have that kind of authority over you anymore. Including the elders of the White Lotus on this process will just add stuffy old men trying to scare you about breaking the norms.”

“We don’t need any more of that…” Asami muttered.

Korra eyed Zhou Rhen and leaned forward. “What do you believe, honestly, about what we’re going to do?”

Zhou Rhen fiddled with his chopsticks. “In all truth, when I was sent to meet you, I believed the White Lotus position of keeping it to yourself, was correct. Who really needs to know, right? Why flaunt your private business? Now, having spent time with you and seeing your lives here, from a practical perspective it wouldn’t be very feasible. You would have to be constantly mindful of who is around you. Eventually, something would slip; a look, a touch or a word. I’m sure you could overcome the backlash, but it says a lot more about your relationship if you aren’t acting like you’re ashamed of it.”

Korra relaxed back into her seat.

Zhou Rhen continued. “And hearing your answers today… Anyone can see you care for each other deeply.”

“Alright enough, you’re starting to embarrass me!” Korra barked, sinking down into her chair.

“Better get used to it Korra, in a week this will be your new reality,” Jinora teased.

“And you can’t melt down into the furniture when we’re being interviewed,” Asami pointed out.

Jinora giggled. “Put some metal in her pockets and hide Lin in the room. She can lift Korra up when she starts slinking.”

“I’m getting my own table, forget all of you!” Korra pouted.

*** One Week Later ***

The morning sun was just starting to rise above the Republic City’s tallest still-standing buildings as Korra, Bolin, and Opal sluggishly arrived outside the meeting point.

“That camera crew is here again…” Korra muttered as she swung her arm, attempting to warm herself up for the day’s labor.

“Don’t you mind them, Korra,” Bolin offered, stealing a look over to Shey and her crew setting up their camera on a rooftop nearby.

Opal followed her boyfriend’s sight path and shrugged. “Yeah, they’re making our job easier by documenting all your do-gooding unprompted.”

Korra nodded and began to stretch.

Opal let Korra drift away from them as she began her warm-up exercises. Once she felt confident Korra wasn’t paying them any mind, she pulled Bolin to her side by his collar. “Okay, what is it with the camera crew?”

“What do you mean?” Bolin squeaked.

“I’m playing along in front of Korra for your sake, but you gotta tell me what’s up. You’ve had one eye on them every day we’ve been out here. Is there something more going on than you’re telling us?”

Bolin freed himself from Opal’s grip, but stayed close to keep the conversation private. “The director lady, Shey, said she was filming a docu-mover about the reconstruction of the city.”

“Then what, you got a crush on her?” Opal pressed.

“No! Okay, you wrestled it out of me!” Bolin barked dramatically. “I might have let something slip to her but after today it won’t matter.”

Opal stole a glance at their friend, who was still occupied with her work out. “She knows about Korra?”

“When I talked to her the other day she asked about Asami.”

“So? You were working on her site. Plus, she’s kind of a big deal in reconstruction these days.”

Bolin nodded and grabbed the back of his head. “Yeah, but it was more like, how is Asami doing. Like from one friend to another.”

“Did she say how she knows Asami?

“No, but I almost let it slip she was happy now that she’s dating Korra, but I caught myself and just said she’s like out in the scene. Single and ready to mingle. I don’t fully remember what I said. I panicked and ran before she could ask any specifics.”

“You probably confused her more than anything,” Opal sighed and crossed her arms. “Well like you said, it won’t matter after today. So please keep your focus on Korra, she doesn’t need anything adding to her nervousness.”

“You think she’s nervous?”

“You blind?” Opal asked impatiently. The pair turned their attention over to Korra, just in time to see her trip herself airbending. The Avatar pounded her fists on the ground before easing herself back up on her feet.

“Maybe having a crew here to document isn’t such a good thing today.”

“It won’t be Korra’s best work, but it will have to do,” Opal sighed as she waved down a group of approaching United Forces trucks.

The vehicles stopped a few feet in front of the trio. From them emerged Lin Beifong, a few mentalbender city police officers and several refugees.

Lin stepped apart from the group then turned to face them. “Alright folks, you point out your home or building and we’ll let you know if it’s safe to go inside.”

An arm shot up from one of the refugees, a middle-aged woman of Earth Kingdom descent with a young boy holding on to the other arm. “If we can’t return to our home, can we at least take some of our things?”

“Hopefully. We will determine the extent of the damage, but be advised some structures might be too dangerous even to enter.”

“Our family portrait is still at our home. We forgot to grab it in the chaos of the evacuation. It’s one of the only one we have of us all together before my husband passed,” the woman pressed.

Korra, Opal, and Bolin had caught up to the group in time to hear the woman’s plea.

“We’ll do the best we can to recover the photo,” Korra offered.

“Thank you Avatar Korra.”

Korra shot the family and smile and then turned to catch a frowning Lin.

“I’m putting that woman with your team,” Lin said.

“Aww c’mon Lin, you got to give them some hope.”

“Hope is for when there is no hope. This type of hope puts my volunteers in dangerous situations. This is one of those cases where you have to manage expectations.”

“I really want to argue with you about this, but I’m trying to be a more mature Avatar.”

“The phrase is ‘I politely disagree’, for future reference. But the best advice I could ever give you for leadership is to manage expectations.”

Korra slapped her hands together, turning to Bolin and Opal as Lin walked away. “Alright, I’m off to a great start.”

“How are you feeling buddy?”

“Welp, I’ve already pissed off Lin before even starting the work day, and the whole world is going to know all about my personal business.”

“When does it go on sale?” Opal asked.

“Now? Though it already feels like everyone’s read it.”

Opal glanced around, feeling Korra’s imagined spectators. “I know this is going to be rough, but it was the right way to do it. Everyone finds out at once and then it’s over.”.

“You going to read it?” Bolin asked.

“I don’t know if I can.”

“Will you sign my copy if I get one?” Could be worth money someday.”

“Bolin,” Opal chided.

“It’s an investment for our children’s future.”

“Okay, I thought talking about this might help but it’s not. I need to do something physical.”

“Great, let’s get to work then. I’ll see you back at the refugee camp,” Opal said, giving Korra a quick pat on the back as she passed by.

“I’ll miss yooou!” Bolin whined.

***

The day progressed like the past few since Korra joined the city clean-up and refugee support team. They drove refugees to their old homes, determining which buildings were safe, salvageable or needed to be marked for demolition. They were getting down to the last of the displaced who hadn’t checked on their old homes. Tenzin figured they would be wrapping up this phase either today or tomorrow.

Korra hated to put the Spirit World on the back burner, but with no way around the Tigerpillar spirit and Opal’s compelling testimony of the need in the physical world, it was clear where Korra needed to focus her energy.

Korra wished she could have at least spent this day with Asami, but they were given strict orders to be apart during business hours for at least a few weeks. With the world now watching they needed to prove their relationship was not a distraction.

Asami was likely hunched over her drafting table right now, finalizing her remodeling plans for her parents’ mansion. She wanted to have a proposal ready in time for their big news to drop since she spoke about her plan in the interview.

Korra at first couldn’t believe how quickly Asami was willing to give up her family home, but as she thought back to their first night together, it was clear that being able to give the building a purpose was provide her girlfriend relief.

Korra tilted her head towards the sun to get an idea of the time, then remembered she had one of Asami’s father’s watches. She dug into her pocket and peered at the face. “Shit, I still have to get the other back.”

“Korra, last ones over here!” Bolin called out from around a corner, waving her over towards him.

Korra jogged over to catch up with the group.

Bo, one of Lin’s metalbending police officer’s foot was already stomped out to get a seismic reading.

The woman from earlier held her son to her at his shoulders, anxiously looking up at her former home.

From the outside, Korra could already tell this one was going to be marked for demolition. It was a row of small, modern-looking townhomes, probably only built a few years ago. They had been neatly stacked next to each other, with only an alley between them to maximize the space. Many little neighborhoods in Republic City were set up this way. Clearly, something had crashed into the building to its left, so like a row of Pai Sho tiles, it crashed into the family’s home and then to the next. Somehow the building after this family’s home still stood upright and could probably be salvaged. But not this woman’s home; it was sandwiched right in the middle of the mess.

Bo’s boot went back on and the woman rushed towards him, not waiting for the news.

“Can we at least go in to search for the photograph?” the woman pleaded.

Bo sighed. “M’am, I can’t in good conscience let you into that building.”

He stepped away from her, pulled a stick of red chalk out of his pocket and started marking the structure with “拆”, the character for “demolish”.

The woman fell to her knees on the ground, her young son rushed to her side. “I should’ve gone back as soon as I realized I forgot it…” she murmured.

“It’s ok Momma, I still remember Daddy’s face,” the boy said as he clumsily rubbed her back.

Bolin turned to Korra. His eyes were huge and watering. “Korra…”

The Avatar nodded. “We’ll go in and look for it.”

“Avatar Korra, that structure is highly unsound. It’s not worth the personal risk.”

“Bolin’s a great earthbender, you’re a great metalbender and I’m the Avatar. It’s just a quick in and out.”

“I’ll stabilize the concrete and you the metal beams and rods,” Bolin said pointing to the officer.

Korra put a hand on the officer’s shoulder “Don’t worry, you won’t be held accountable.”

“I’m quoting you on that when I get an earful from the Chief.”

“Can you tell me where the photo is?”

“It should be on the mantel in the main room. See the window on the second floor? That’s it right there.”

***

“I think the Avatar is going into one of the buildings. Should we try getting closer to get a better shot?”

“Yes, let’s take it to the ground level, but still keep a distance, we don’t want to interfere.”

Shey and her two crew members picked up their equipment and carefully walked down the fire escape stairs located on the outside of the building they had been camped out on. They moved to an alley a few buildings down and across the street and quickly reopened the camera’s tripod.

***

Bolin and Bo approached the townhouse and then both stomped into a squat. Almost in unison, their bent arms coiled up to their sides, then like the heads of four snakes darted out at the structure in front of them. They clenched their fists as if they actually grasped the building, then pulled them back.

“Alright, we got a hold!” Bo hollered.

Korra stepped between them, then with a whoosh shot herself up to the second story window. She crouched on the ledge and then darted inside.

Bolin turned his head to the man beside him. “So, your name’s Bo. Is that short for Bolin?”

“No.”

“But it could be?” Bolin asked cocking his head to the side.

Bo shrugged. “I suppose.”

“What’s your name? Bo… just Bo. I like the sound of that.”

Bo rolled his eyes as he listened to Bolin talk to himself.

***

Despite it still being light out, the home was pretty dark inside. When she cleared the window, a little more sun shone in, but not much. It looked fairly normal inside, except everything was tilted at an angle. The furniture pooled to the side of the house that was falling into the building over. Only small and fragile items appeared to be broken.

Korra crossed the room and dared a glance down the stairwell to the first floor. It was in far worse shape. The metal staircase had separated from the floor and hung jaggedly with bits of concrete still stuck to its feet. As they suspected, the window was her best way into the building.

With her curiosity satisfied, Korra glanced around for the mantel, which was on the sagging side of the home. A table and chairs had piled up underneath. Glass was shattered around the legs, and she deduced that must be where the family photo would be. The frame was likely broken, but it was the picture itself that really mattered.

Korra bent down under the mantel and table and pawed at the mess of wood and glass. She picked up a frame, but it was of just a baby swaddled in a patterned blanket. Little charms were tucked in beside it, and a plaque with a family name was resting on the blanket where his arms likely were. She was going to toss it, but changed her mind and fished the photo out of the frame.

Korra got down on her hands and knees for a better view, and she saw a large frame under the middle of the table. She squinted and felt confident it was a group shot.

Korra laid down to free both hands to reach for the frame. She considered crawling under, but there was too much glass.

“Wish glass bending was a thing…”

Suddenly the floor began to shake beneath her. She could hear shouting happening outside, but whatever was causing the rumble was too loud to make out what was being said.

Thinking fast, Korra shot a blast of air under the table, tossing the frame and shards of glass across the floor and towards the window. She darted over to the frame and flipped it to reveal an ornate painting of badger moles. “Shit.”

***

“She’s incredible, huh? Jumps up there like it’s nothing,” Shey sighed, relaxing her binoculars away from her face. She let them fall to her chest, held up by the strap around her neck.

“Falling in love?” asked Lan, the crew member operating the camera.

“Take a number, right? I can’t imagine a person alive who likes women that doesn’t have a crush on the Avatar. Pity, she doesn’t though.”

“Speaking of crushes, Nuktuk is here. I heard he just got engaged,” Izzi the production assistant chirped.

Lan pulled herself away from the camera viewfinder. “What? To who!”

“Some airbender chick. I hear she’s a Beifong.”

“I can’t compete with that last name.” Lan leaned against the camera and sighed.

“Hey Shey, what did he end up telling you about Asami the other day?” Izzi asked.

“She’s dating. Wouldn’t say who.”

“Did he say there was a who?” Lan added.

Shey shoved her hands into her blazer’s pockets. “No, but he was skittish about the whole thing.”

“Well he’s a friend of hers, he must know how Asami’s the private type.”

“I dunno Shey, do you even really want to know? Why torture yourself?” Izzi asked.

“I just want some kind of answer, you know? Before we broke up she invited me to go to Sunday dinner to meet these people she considered family, then the very next day, she cancels and tells me she can’t see me anymore.”

“You were her first girlfriend, right? Maybe she got cold feet. Or her publicist told her not to come out. Might not have had anything to do with you specifically.”

“That’s what I wondered...It was just so sudden-” Shey’s thoughts were interrupted by a distant rumbling. Her two crew members also heard it and moved to look down the street it was coming from.

“They’re United Forces tanks!”

Shey looked to the camera and saw it shaking from the vibrations. “They can’t pass through here with the Avatar inside the building, they could destabilize the whole thing.”  Shey ran out into the middle of the street and her crew followed. The three started waving their arms frantically.

“Hey!”

“Stop!”

Bolin and Bo watched the women as they attempted to get the tanks’ attention.

“We can’t let go, I don’t trust the building to hold!” Bo shouted over the noise.

“Can anyone here earthbend?” Bolin hollered to the crowd. They all stood wide-eyed and stared. “How about throw rocks? Get the tanks’ attention!”

Finally, the woman whose house they were holding up moved to grab some rubble and ran at the tanks. The other citizens followed. They stopped next to Shey and her camera crew and started chucking.

“The iron support rods are separating from the concrete,” Bo murmured as he strained to hold his position.

Bolin sucked in a deep breath and yelled as loud as he could. “Korra, get out of there!”

The others kept hurling rocks. When one made contact with the narrow windshield of the lead tank it finally rolled to a stop. The hatch on the top flew open and a United Forces soldier popped out. “Do you people know the fine for assaulting a military vehicle?”

As he shouted, Korra half somersaulted, half fell out of the window she had entered the building from as it began to falter behind her. Everyone silently watched as the Avatar moved like a cat, contorting her body to land somewhat clumsily in a crouch. They all let out a collective sigh when it was clear the Avatar was unharmed. Korra also breathed a sigh and let her body relax onto the pavement.

The building’s crumbling picked up pace and pieces began to fall. Without consulting, Bolin and Bo each grabbed one of Korra’s arms and began dragging her away. Right as they pulled, a large cylindrical chunk of concrete landed in the spot Korra just occupied. Ultimately, they weren’t fast enough. The chunk broke in two and one half landed on her left leg. The men felt the tug, let go, and turned around. Korra screamed as she feverishly bent the piece away from her leg; it crumbled to bits nearby.

“SH-SHIT!” Korra yelled as she grabbed at her left leg. “SON-Of-A… BOLIN?”

Bolin and Bo ran to either side of the Avatar and inspected the damage. Korra had pulled her pant leg up to reveal a large bruise was forming on the outside, and a bit of bone poked out on the inside of her calf.

Bolin dramatically covered his face and looked away. “Ugh, that looks terrible!”

“Bolin!”

“You’re going to be okay buddy, but Asami is going to murder me.”

The refugee group had begun to gather around them, forming a loose circle. Shey and her crew stayed by tanks.

“Uhhh, I think I’m going to pass out,” Korra moaned.

“Everyone head back towards camp, try to find a phone, call for help. Bolin, go ask the troops with the tanks to radio Chief Beifong.”

Bolin nodded and moved towards the tanks. The refugees scattered as well.

Bo looked down to Korra. “Now that your audience is gone, we better set that leg.”

“Do what?” Korra managed to croak.

“I’m going put the bone back into place,” Bo said as he moved to her feet. He straddled Korra’s foot and closed his eyes.

“Bolin!”

“Don’t worry, this will be quick.” Bo pulled a sheet of earth on either side of Korra’s left leg with his fists and swiftly crossed one hand over the slabs to sandwich Korra’s leg between them. As they collided with her leg, the two pieces of bone made an audible pop and click as they joined.

“I’m going to leave the stones up as a splint till someone can get here and wrap you up properly.”

When he didn’t get a reply, Bo crawled over to Korra’s head and saw she had passed out. “Probably for the best.”

***

Bolin was seated on the roof of the tank; the radio receiver cord was long enough to fit out if the tank, but he still had to bend down a bit towards the opening. He stared back at the curious eyes of Shey, her two associates and the crew members of the tank. They were far enough away to only hear his responses. “Yeah. No, it’s bad. Yeah, it was that woman’s home. I don’t know if she knows yet, probably not. We sent some stragglers back to the base, but I’d figure Tenzin would just drop everything and come over. Please don’t make me call her, I’m on a tank radio. Okay, see you soon.”

“Thanks.” Bolin passed the receiver to the lone crew member remaining inside the tank to operate the radio. “Okay, tank guys, we’ve got to wait for help to show up, so you can turn back around and go another way or hang here for a bit. Shey, you all can leave, we got it from here. We appreciate you stopping the tanks.”

“You sure? Don’t want the rescue of the Avatar documented for posterity?”

“No… I think you’ve gotten enough footage for today. It’s not going to be pretty from here. Korra has a lot of parental figures in her life, and they’re all about to descend upon her and rip her a new one.”

“Understood. Hey, congrats on the engagement.”

“Thanks! I might have just ended it today.”

“I’m sure she’ll forgive you.”

Bolin watched the trio clean up their gear and head out. Once he was sure they were gone, he headed back to Korra and Bo. “Lin is coming. She’s pissed.”

“No surprise there,” Bo murmured as he looked up at Bolin, his eyes squinting at the bright setting sun.

“She okay?” Bolin rushed to Korra’s side.

“Blacked out from the pain. Nature’s way of helping you stay sane in a crisis.”

Bolin nodded and then brushed his hair back with both his hands. The nasally wailing sound of a siren grabbed his attention. He turned down the street where he could hear vehicles approaching. He held his hands on his head as he watched them stop just short of the crumbled home Korra fell out of. Lin was the first to exit one of the many vehicles. Even from where he stood, he could see the rage on her face.

Bo moved to Bolin’s side. “Do you think Avatar Korra’s promise of no accountability stands?”

***

Shey and Izzi had just finished processing their film footage from the day when Lan came back into the office with a bag of takeout.

“Perfect timing,” Shey said with a grin.

Izzi moved to grab the bag, but Lan didn’t pass it over. “You look like you’ve seen a ghost, what’s up?”

“I stopped at a newsstand on the way back…” Lan murmured, reaching into the take out bag. She pulled out a copy of The Republic magazine and slid it onto their meeting table. On the cover was Asami Sato and Avatar Korra. Asami looked proudly at the camera with a hand on Korra’s shoulder. Korra’s arms were crossed with her back straight, almost looking ready for a fight. Below the photo, it read ‘Exclusive interview and announcement from two of Republic City’s most influential women. Page twelve.’

Lan did the two the favor of opening the magazine and turning to page twelve, which she had bookmarked with a folded corner, so it was easy for her to find, even upside down. On page twelve was a full page photo of Korra and Asami sitting on a couch in a chic office sitting room or lobby. A huge window overlooking the city was behind the two women. Their hands were clasped and nestled in the small space between them on the cushion.

“Holy badgermoles she’s dating the Avatar!” Izzi blurted out in the silent room. She turned to the now stunned Shey. “I’m sorry buddy, that suuucks.”

Shey swallowed and continued to look at the magazine. Her eyes locked on Asami’s relaxed and cheerful face. “It’s okay. I was worried this whole time she was just scared to be with me. Wanted to go back into the closet… and that wasn’t it at all. I have my answer now. Fuck if I could compete with the Avatar.”

“I think we all need to swear off celebrity crushes…” Izzi murmured.

Lan moved around the table to stand by Shey. She patted the magazine to get her attention. “This is huge though. They are two of Republic City’s most influential women. Not two of, they are the most influential. And they’re taking a stand. Sure some people will be bigoted assholes, but to the people who just don’t understand there’s no difference, that love is love, this will be world changing. Now is the time to make that a mover.”

“What mover?” Izzi asked, looking between the two.

Shey bit at her bottom lip.“I don’t know…”

“No, it’s time,” Lan insisted. “And I think I know who we could ask to be our lead.”

To be continued...

* * * * *

Thank you Korrasami Fanwork Positivity Campaign and @persnickety-doodles for the commissioned piece depicting the one of the images United Republic Magazine's article!

And thank you cd-fish for nominating my story!

Chapter 38: Vote of Confidence

Notes:

Thank you TheToasterMarketingBoard for editing!

Chapter Text

Suyin’s stomach began to flutter as she saw Ba Sing Se come into focus in the view from her window. The rising sun blew out the sky so she could only see the city’s silhouette.

Suyin couldn’t wait to be with her son and share with him the exciting news that his little sister was getting married. Suyin, of course, realized that Jr. would not be able to attend the wedding, or likely any of his sibling’s weddings, but she tried to keep that notion separate.

Suyin also had some proposals for new structures in Zaofu that Baatar Sr. wanted to get his son’s opinion on. They both wanted Jr. to feel included in the family, as much as he could while being in jail. Ultimately, these were all little things and Suyin had much bigger dreams for her son. She wanted to find that one thing Jr. could do in jail that would give his life true meaning. She just hadn’t figured out what that might be yet.

Suyin got up from her passenger seat, hoisted her satchel over her shoulder and moved to the bridge. “Captain. I’m starting to think the capital is going to want us to drop off the platinum somewhere other than the upper ring. I will confirm when we touch down, but I wouldn’t plan on landing for long.”

“Yes, Ma’am. I had a similar thought myself,” the captain replied with a nod of her head.

Suyin sighed. “I’m looking forward to that rail system being finally being finished. Personally, flying my gift is costing as much as the platinum itself.”

“I’m sure the representatives will be grateful for the expedited delivery.”

The aircraft eventually reached the upper ring. After a bit of a shaky landing, they touched down. When Suyin exited the ship she was greeted by a somewhat familiar-looking male staffer and an Earth Kingdom guard.

“Welcome. And who do I have the pleasure of speaking with?” the man asked, bending his body into a slight bow.

“Suyin Beifong, head of the metal clan. My son is Baatar Beifong Jr.”

“Wouldn’t go around bragging about that,” the guard muttered, shifting on his feet.

“Suyin Beifong, how can we accommodate you?”

“I am here to deliver the platinum the council requested.”

The man smirked. “Of course. You know, we were expecting you to stick around for the government meetings last time you were here.”

“I was never invited.”

“You left so soon after landing, we didn’t get the opportunity.”

Suyin readjusted her shoulder bag that had begun to slip. “Well, I’m here now and plan on making a proper visit. Do you know if the platinum should be unloaded here, or is there an offsite location?”

“It’s for the railway project?”

“That’s what I was told.”

“Yes, and it should go to the storage facility outside the rings. I’ll have someone accompany your crew,” the man said, looking around the airfield as if trying to locate someone now.

“Is Prince Wu on the premises? I would like to speak with him as well.”

“He should be...” the man muttered absently as he continued to focus on the airfield.

Suyin tried to position herself into his field of vision but it couldn’t tell if she was successful. “Great. However, I would first like to visit my son.”

“Pen here can escort you,” the man said with an absent-minded flick of his hand. “I’ll notify the Earth Kingdom council you have arrived.”

“I never got your name,” Suyin started, but he was already walking away from her towards the airship.

“This way,” Pen muttered, pointing his staff towards the obvious entrance into the palace.

***

Light peeked into Korra’s eyes, after an indeterminate period of darkness. Her vision blurred, then began to focus on two faces she didn’t recognize.

“Lift,” a deep male voice commanded to the other.

Korra felt her body be lifted, but not moved. Something made a scraping sound beneath her. Then she was rested onto it. Her fingers felt what was below, and it was a rough canvas material.

“Bolin?” she called out.

“I’m here Korra. They’re going to take you to the hospital,” Bolin said, moving closer to the stretcher. The two medics began hauling Korra to their vehicle. Both were exceptionally large in stature, one darker skinned with dark hair, the other fair with brown. Bolin followed, looking particularly small beside them.

“Will you ride with me?” Korra murmured.

Bolin looked behind him. Lin was speaking with Bo and some other police officers. “I think Lin was going to…”

“Don’t leave me alone with her, not now,” Korra pleaded meekly.

The medics loaded Korra into the ambulance and were strapping her down.

“Ready to go,” one called to Bolin.

Bolin made a cone around his mouth with his hands and hollered. “LIN I’M RIDING WITH KORRA!”

Bolin hopped in the back, and each medic closed a door. “Quick! Tell the driver to go!” he commanded.

The black-haired medic banged on the wall and the vehicle took off.

“Phew!” Bolin sighed, relaxing into the bench he was seated on. “Thanks, fellas.”

“How long was I out?” Korra asked.

“Not too long.”

“Did Bo break my leg anymore?”

“He actually did a good job setting the bone. Made getting you out of there a lot easier,” the dark haired medic replied.

“We’ll have to thank him,” Bolin said, thoughtfully touching his chin. “Hey, Korra, did you end up finding the picture?”

Korra clumsily reached into her shirt and pulled out two photos. “Just in the nick of time. Make sure the family gets them.”

“Avatar Korra, please try to limit your movement,” the brown-haired medic urged.

“I got it,” Bolin said as he leaned over to grab the papers from Korra. He held out the two pictures for himself. “What a handsome family. I wonder what happened to the husband. Maybe she sent him to go get something out of a dilapidated building too? You’re not her first victim.”

“That was really dumb of me,” Korra moaned.

“Those words are going to be candy to Lin’s ears,” Bolin mused before bowing his head down. “I egged you on, I’m just as responsible.”

“Don’t blame yourself. I made the choice.”

“How’s the leg feel?” Bolin asked.

“Like so bad, I almost can’t.”

“The drugs should be starting to kick in as well,” the dark-haired medic offered.

The four sat in silence for a while. The brown-haired medic kept shifting in his small seat. Once it became apparent to everyone he was anxious, he finally spoke. “Um, Avatar Korra I know this may not be the time to say this, but I read the Republic Magazine article this morning…”

Korra’s head reactively snapped to look at Bolin, but she quickly swiveled back to face the medic speaking to her. She could only muster a grimace due to the pain.

“I think what you and Miss Sato are doing is so brave.”

“Thank you…” Korra said, squinting to read the name on his shirt patch. “Xavier.”

Xavier turned and fumbled in a bag and pulled out a magazine. “When I heard we were coming to your aid, I grabbed my copy and was hoping maybe you could sign it?”

“What did I tell you-” the dark haired one started but was cut off.

“Of course,” Korra offered with a smile.

“Avatar Korra, please do not feel obligated in any way, especially given your circumstances.”

“My leg’s broke, not my hand,” Korra said, motioning for the magazine and pen. “Honestly, I’m a little relieved to be talking about it…no one’s mentioned it all day, so I’ve just been wondering how it’s being received.”

“It’s a great article. And the picture of you two on the couch holding hands, so, so cute. You would have to be made of stone to not be moved by this article. Your story touches so close to home for us.” Xavier said, motioning to the other medic. “Jon Yuen and I had feelings for each other a long time before we spoke of it.”

“Whoa, you two are together?” Bolin chipped in.

Jon Yuen let out a long sigh and nodded. “We are not open about it with others though.”

“But we want to change that. We’ve wanted to for a while, but now after seeing your article, we might finally have the courage to.” Jon Yuen reached out and took Xavier’s hand as he spoke.

“Aww guys,” Bolin sighed, bringing his hands to his chest.

***

Pen flipped through his ring of keys to find the one that opened the door leading into the palace dungeons. Once in they walked down a long stairway to another doorway that was staffed with a few other guards. One was standing by the door into the hall of prison cells while the others were engrossed in a Pai Sho match.

“Visitor for the professor,” Pen muttered to the guard keeping the door. He leaned in closer and whispered. “His mommy.”

Suyin scowled but pretended she did not hear the last remark.

They were let in through the next door into a long hall of cells. About half of them were full, but the people occupying the cells were rough looking, Suyin noted. Muscles, scars and the occasional missing eye or fingers.

Repeat offenders, Suyin thought to herself.

At the very end of the hallway, she and Pen came to her son’s cell. Compared to the rest of the prisoners, Baatar Jr. did look professorly, with his glasses and slender form. The bridge of his glasses was being held together by some crude adhesive.

“Can we have a private room for our visit?”

Pen shook his head.

“He’s not a bender, what’s he going to do to get out?” Suyin argued.

“Too high profile a prisoner. Can’t have another Kuvira incident.”

Suyin started to form words of protest but thought better of it. “I understand.”

Pen gave a curt nod and said, “I’ll be outside,” before leaving.

“Mother…” Baatar Jr. murmured, getting up from his cot. He slowly walked towards the bars of his cell. When he reached the door, he grasped the platinum rods. Suyin covered his hands with her own.

“Baatar,” Suyin breathed. “What happened to your glasses?”

Baatar Jr. unconsciously touched the broken bridge. “Just an accident.”

“I’ll get another pair made for you.”

“It’s fine, these still work.”

“Nonsense. It’s no trouble.” Suyin reached into her shoulder bag and pulled out a roll of papers.

Baatar Jr. let out a long sigh and stepped back a bit from the bars as he watched his mother fight with the twine binding the papers.

“Your father is working on a few new buildings. Some to replace lingering damage from…” Suyin trailed off.

“You can say it, mother. No one is going to burst into flames if you mention her.”

“And you heard about what happened?”

“She’s really gone?” Baatar Jr. asked, trying his best to look like he didn’t care.

“She is.” Suyin cleared her throat. “Your father is most interested in what you think on his proposal for the new library. He wants it to be more than just a building that stores information, but to create a place that would be welcoming and encourage people to work and read inside.”

Baatar Jr. reached out for the papers and Suyin fed them through the bars. A sudden thud and clanking of keys startled them. Suyin dropped the papers and they rolled by Baatar Jr.’s feet.

“No passing items through the bars!” Pen hollered as he charged towards the pair. A few of the other prisoners hooted as he marched past them.

“The professor’s in trouble!”

Suyin whipped around to face Pen before he was on top of them. “I can’t give my son paper?”

Pen’s face hardened.

“Paper,” Suyin repeated, reaching back to Baatar Jr. He shakily reached down to get the role of papers at his feet and passed them to his mother. Suyin thrust them over to Pen.

The guard reluctantly took the roll and started to roughly unroll the papers and gave them a shake.

Suyin’s eyes narrowed as she watched the loafish guard manhandle every inch of her husband’s architectural drawings. Pen gave the papers one last shake before shoving them back to her.

“He can have them, but next time all gifts must be approved first,” Pen said gruffly before walking away.

Suyin sighed and attempted to smooth out the papers before passing them to her son. Baatar Jr took them, laid them on the bed, and took a seat next to them.

“I have some exciting news; your baby sister is getting married.”

“To Bolin.”

Suyin smiled. “I know he’s a bit of a putz, but he is a good man.”

“Better than most,” Baatar Jr. sighed. “Where are they having it?”

“They haven’t decided. I, of course, would like it in Zaofu, but Republic City seems to have become Opal’s home.”

“I hope this place never feels like home… then again, I’d hate to feel like a stranger in a place for twenty years…”

Suyin felt her body being pulled towards her son, but it was stopped by the bars between them. She wrapped her hands around the bars and rested her forehead between them. Silently she watched Baatar Jr. idly flip through his father’s draft drawings.

Pen eventually came back and told Suyin the visit was over. He escorted her fully out of the prison area, but once she was outside that last door, she was on her own. After a few minutes of wandering, she regained her bearings and made her way to the main halls of the palace.

“Suyin,” a man’s voice called out. Suyin turned around to see a familiar looking face, but couldn’t put a name to it. The man caught up to her. “I heard you came through on the platinum. A much appreciated contribution. We were just going into a meeting about the rail system. You should be a part of it.”

“Yes, thank you. Will Prince Wu be there?”

“Probably. It’s this way.”

When the pair walked into the meeting, it was clear that it had already been going on without them; and that Wu was not in fact there.

“Geng, so good of you to join us,” one of the statesmen called out sarcastically.

“Sorry, got a little caught up this morning.”

A male representative from Omashu leaned back into his seat and snorted. “Get your massage after business hours next time, alright?”

Geng blushed and bowed.

The representative from Omashu then turned to Suyin. “And Suyin Beifong. We heard you plan on sticking around for a little while this visit? We’d like to have Zaofu play a part in these formal discussions about our nation’s future.”

Suyin’s face was starting to feel hot, as acid-laced words formed in her mind, but she resisted the impulse and flashed a smile. The two late arrivals then took their seats and the meeting continued.

A mousy woman walked over the man standing at the head of the table, and originally leading the discussion before Suyin and Geng entered. The woman unrolled a scroll of a map and the man started pointing to locations. “To expedite completion I’ve drafted a proposal of remote villages we can pull up the railway lines from, and feed them back to the mainline.”

“Sorry, why pull up the track that is already laid at these villages? If they’re remote like you say, I’m sure having a rail system will improve their conditions and access.”

“Kuvira’s uniting rail system is something we can all get behind despite its creator. But Kuvira’s rail network was too ambitious and spread the resources too thin. I doubt she would have kept all of it functioning once her mission for global domination was over.”

“We don’t want to take on the burden of upkeep that these more remote villages won’t be able to maintain for their portions of the railway. The remote villages can access the trains by nearby capitals. We’ve tried to make sure there is a central hub for them.”

Suyin squinted to get a better look at the map being held up at the other end of the table. She could see main states’ capitals like Chin, Goaling, and Omashu with stars checked to their train stations, then all the villages on spur lines crossed out.

“A hub. What you’re proposing would require at least a day trip just to get there.”

“Mrs. Beifong-“

Suyin jumped out of her seat, so swiftly it pushed the chair back, making a loud screech. “Is there anyone here who’s representing an area whose railway is being taken away?”

Suyin eyed the room. No one raised their hands or made any movement. She stayed standing until she was sure she had made eye contact with everyone present, then sat back down. “Continue.”

 

****
Asami’s heart was still racing when she and Lin made it to the door of Korra’s room, despite the insistence of the nurse downstairs that everything was okay. She didn’t bother knocking and opened the door, finding Korra resting on a bed with a large man sitting on a chair beside her. They were both engrossed in conversation.

“Then a big chunk with meat got thrown and they gobbled it up before we even got a chance to-”

“Korra?” Asami interrupted.

Korra turned to the door, her face a little bruised but excited. “Asami! And Lin...”

“Here I am worrying about you…” Asami started, holding a hand to her chest.

Jon Yuen was lurking near the door and leaned down towards the new arrivals. “The pain medicine we administered has taken effect, and Avatar Korra appears to have a low tolerance.”

“Don’t hesitate to start cutting back on it. We need Korra to feel the consequences,” Lin muttered.

“She will be most uncomfortable if it fully wears off. We will be sending some home with-”

“Got it,” Lin said, cutting off Jon Yuen.

Asami put a hand on Lin’s shoulder and ushered her back towards the door. “Lin, I know you’re upset with her, but why don’t you let me take it from here today. You can come by the temple and chastise her tomorrow.”

Lin nodded. “Very well. I want it to sink in, and I doubt anything will stick while Korra’s high as a kite.”

“Thank you, Lin.”

“Good luck,” Lin said, closing the hospital room door behind her.

“Asami, come sign Xavier’s copy of our magazine!”

“Xavier?”

At the sound of his name, he smiled and waved. “Oh my goodness, your girlfriend is adorable, and my new best friend.”

“Is she now?” Asami said, quirking an eyebrow.

Korra motioned Asami to come to her bed, then patted the space next to her. Asami obeyed and sat down.

“This is Xavier and by the door Jon Yuen, they took care of me. Now I need you to sign their magazine as a token of our gratitude. I signed every page, but you can just do it on the cover and next to our picture.”

Asami took the magazine and inspected the cover. “I actually hadn’t seen this yet. We look intimidating.”

“I think it’s great, it’s like you’re daring the reader to find fault,” Xavier chimed in.

“Here,” Korra offered, putting the pen clumsily in Asami’s right hand. “Sign the cover.”

“Okay, okay.” Asami signed and then flipped to their article.

“Aww, this picture gets me every time I see it. It’s so cute. Look at you two staring into each other’s eyes like that interview person isn’t even there…” Xavier sighed.

Asami jumped a little, noticing the large man was now hovering over them.

The door slowly opened, and Bolin crept in clutching a bag of snacks. His skin was pale. “I ran into Lin downstairs. She’s not planning on coming back, is she?”

“No, she’s saving the lecture for tomorrow, children,” Asami said sarcastically.

Bolin held his free hand in the air and looked towards the ceiling. “May that woman never have children!”

Asami let out a little snort. “I think in her mind we all are. And soon she really will be your family.”

Bolin dropped his sack of goodies. “You’re right! I never thought about that!”

“Aunty Liiiiin!” Korra giggled.

“Take your rice crackers,” Bolin grumbled, tossing a bag at Korra.

“Mmm.”

“Want anything, Asami? Guys? I just grabbed a few of everything so I got plenty,” Bolin asked, holding up some of the snacks from the bag on the floor.

Jon Yuen held up his hand. “Can’t on the job, but thank you.”

“I’m good Bolin,” Asami said, sneaking a peek at Korra’s legs. She had a blanket across her middle but her two legs were exposed. “So, it looks like Korra’s got her cast done, can I take her home today?”

“I believe so, I can go confirm with the doctor,” Jon Yuen offered, rising to head towards the door. Xavier got up and followed. “I’ll come too.”

Bolin noisily kicked the bag of snacks towards an empty chair near the entrance. He started examining the packages in his arms, tossing the ones he didn’t want back into the bag on the floor until he finally selected the one he was going to eat. Bolin looked up from his snack and noticed the other two were watching him. “Don’t mind me.”

Asami shook her head and looked back to the cast on Korra’s left leg. She reached out and very gently brushed her fingers on the plaster-caked fabric. “So, was this your attempt to get out of having to answer to the public about our announcement?”

“No, just a bleeding-heart case gone wrong,” Korra said, between crunching on her rice cakes.

“She was rescuing the only picture left of this family’s father,” Bolin offered. “The woman was going to throw herself into the rubble to save it if we didn’t intervene.”

“It made me think of you, what if something happened to your home… your parents are dead, all you have left are pictures.”

“No picture is ever worth a living, breathing human. I would choose you over those pictures every time.”

Korra bowed her head. “I’m sorry.”

“Besides, I don’t want to face the public alone, so you need to stick around a little bit longer to make coming out worth my while.”

Korra chuckled as a few tears snuck out from the corners of her eyes. She looked up and could see Asami’s eyes were also glassy with tears.

The door creaked open and the room’s attention turned to Jon Yuen.
“The doctor says we can send you home.” Xavier trailed behind him pushing a wheelchair. “You’ll have a weekly visit from a healer to help mend the bone and check the cast. You have to be careful not to get the cast wet. When you bathe it will have to be out of the tub.”

Xavier stopped at the foot of the bed, positioning the chair for easy access.

“No,” Korra murmured.

Jon Yuen cocked his head, “Huh?”

“I’m not getting in that,” Korra said, loud enough for everyone to hear her.

“Korra, you just need it to get around temporarily. You can’t put pressure on the leg while the bone heals,” Xavier urged, patting the backrest of the chair.

Korra shook her head and wriggled her body backward in the bed as best as she could. “Please, please don’t make me.”

Asami took Korra’s hands, which were balled up grasping the sheets on her hospital bed. “Korra, this isn’t like what happened to you before. Your leg will heal, and you’ll be up and walking again in no time.”

“But what if I don’t…” Korra whimpered, tears pooling at the corner of her eyes. “What if I never walk again and I’m completely useless to everyone?”

Asami put a hand to Korra’s chin, forcing the Avatar’s eyes to hers. “You were never useless, Korra. Never. Not even in your darkest moments in the South Pole. And even in the enormously unlikely event you never walk again, that means nothing to me because you will always be important to me and I love you no matter what.”

Korra’s lip quivered and she whispered, “Okay.”

“It shouldn’t be too long, Avatar Korra. It was a big break, but remarkably clean,” Jon Yuen said, moving towards Korra. Xavier was right behind him.

“Okay, let’s get you up.”

“Is this how we should help move her at home?” Asami asked, walking around the bed to get a better view of the two medics.

“Yes, we recommend two people help her up, for balance. That right leg is going to have to do a lot of extra lifting, so this helps to minimize that. But if there’s no one else around, hold her on her left,” Jon Yuen said as he hoisted Korra from her seated position on the bed. She was lifted onto her right leg, an arm around the two men’s broad shoulders. As soon as she was up, she went limp and slipped out of their grasp back onto the bed.

“Korra please,” Asami urged.

Korra made a frustrated noise, before lifting her arms up to accept the help again. Jon Yuen and Xavier successfully lifted Korra again and helped her hop to the chair. Once seated Korra deflated and folded her hands onto her lap.

Bolin came up behind her and grasped the handles. “Where to, madam?”

Korra mustered a soft chuckle.

“Can you please let us out in your most discreet exit? I don’t know how fast word has traveled that Korra is here, but I do not want her to have the face any press in this state.”

“Yes, we can have you leave where the ambulance drops off, around back.”

Asami moved towards the door, fishing her keys from her jacket pocket. “Great, take her down and I’ll meet you there with my Satomobile.”

“I’ll go with you!” Xavier said rushing to follow her. “To make sure they let you back there.”

Jon Yuen nodded. “Great. We’ll get Avatar Korra discharged.”

***

The elevator in the hospital was old and slow. Asami noted this was one of the few older buildings that had survived the many destructive events of this city.

“I feel like we got off on the wrong foot back there...” Xavier started.

Asami waved him off. “Oh, no you’re fine.”

“I just want you to know we will not betray Korra’s trust or anything like that. She was quite chatty in the ride here, but that’s because we have a lot in common.”

Asami cocked her head curiously.

“Jon Yeun is my boyfriend. Your article means a lot to us, and I know it’s going to impact a lot of other people who have been afraid to be honest about themselves and who they love. You two are very brave for putting yourselves out there for this.”

“Honestly, we didn’t feel like we had much of a choice, but thank you.”

***

It took a while for Suyin to track down Prince Wu. He was no longer staying in his room at the palace but had moved into a small home in the upper ring. The many people she spoke with said he was expected to arrive at the palace for the afternoon meetings, but Suyin didn’t want to wait.

The outside of Wu’s home was very fitting, Suyin noted. Ornate, in true Earth Kingdom-excess decorative style, with a small fish pond out front. She rapped on the door with the badgermole-head knocker and was eventually met by a stocky looking young man with shaggy black hair held back by a headband, who reminded her instantly of Bolin.

“Yeah?” Tu asked, leaning against the door.

“Hi, I’m,” Suyin stammered, distracted by how much he looked like her son-in-law to be, and how unexpected a jockish-looking guy answering the door was. “I’m Suyin Beifong, I wanted to speak with-”

“Hey, are you related to Opal?” Tu interrupted, pushing off the door and leaning in.

“Yes, I’m her mother.”

Tu slapped one of his large hands to his head and let out a chuckle. “Oh man, I’m Bolin’s cousin, Tu! We’re gonna be family!”

Suyin forced a smile. “Oh, wonderful.”

“Like, small world, huh?” Tu turned inside the house and called out. “Hey, Wu! Got a Beifong here to see you!”

“Just a minute,” Wu shouted back, drawing out the last word in his sing-songy voice.

Tu put a hand on Suyin’s shoulder and urged her inside. “C’mon in.”

Suyin sat down on the loveseat in the front room of the home. Prince Wu glided into the room in a long gold and green kimono. His hair was wet, and his face a little flush from what Suyin assumed was a bath.

“Suyin Beifong, what brings you back to the Earth Kingdom?” Wu asked, sitting in a chair next to the love seat.

“Many things. Sorry to visit you at your home, but I wanted to speak privately.”

Wu nodded. “I understand. I had to move out of the palace as soon as I could, I felt like there were eyes and ears all over that place after the Kuvira incident.”

“So, you’ve noticed the atmosphere there.”

“I try to make as few waves as possible and let those who are more in charge run things. I just do my job and leave,” Wu said with a wave.

“That’s what I’m afraid of. I feel we’re practically inviting another Kuvira to come to fill the void. You know I was originally asked to lead the Earth Kingdom?”

Wu frowned. “Queen Hou-Ting’s next of kin wasn’t the obvious choice?”

“The Earth Queen was unmarried with no children and no direct relatives in her court. So, any potential heir would be an unknown person with likely no experience in leadership. The hope with you was to get you seated on the throne to thwart Kuvira’s aggressive moves. What happened after wasn’t fully planned, but someone or someones would have likely ended up whispering in your ear and ruling through you.”

Wu carefully crossed his legs, adjusting the fine fabric. “Thanks for the vote of confidence.”

“Be honest, you never wanted to rule.”

“That’s not true, when I was first told I was going to, I was pretty excited. I had all these visions of wealth and elegance. I had visited my aunt before at the palace. May she rest in peace. She lived like what I imagined a queen would. And she commanded respect.” Wu thoughtfully rubbed his chin. “I now know it was fear, but still. It was a chance at a kind of life I had never imagined for myself. I wonder, had Kuvira not been a factor, how it would have panned out?”

Suyin leaned back into her seat and sighed. “I could write the book on Kuvira what-ifs. She urged me to take the position. It was my refusal that set everything into motion with her. If only I had known that was the final thread that would unravel everything between us…” Suyin said, sitting up straight as she leaned towards the young man. “Wu, I am sorry for not having confidence in you before, and now I am going to need your support. I’m going to propose an election. The Earth Kingdom needs a leader whose responsibility is to look out for the wellbeing of all her citizens. We need a president of the Earth Kingdom.”

“And you want to be that person?”

Suyin grinned. “If the citizens of the Earth Kingdom will have me.”

***

The drive from the hospital was fairly quiet, even with Bolin in tow, until Asami took an unexpected turn.

“Hey, the docks are that way,” Bolin murmured from the passenger seat.

“I’m not taking Korra back there tonight, she deserves a little rest before the sea of well-wishers and lecturers.”

“I’m not going there alone, I guess I’ll sleep at my place tonight. I can catch Mako up to speed on today’s events.”

After dropping Bolin off at his apartment, Korra and Asami made the short drive back to her apartment in silence. It was a bit of an awkward struggle getting Korra out of the car alone, but Asami figured it would be best if the two of them figured out how to do it sooner rather than later. Asami turned over her keys to the parking valet of her apartment building and moved to push Korra’s wheelchair inside.

Asami flexed her grasp on the handles of the wheelchair as they rode up in the much newer and faster elevator compared to the hospital’s. She looked down at Korra. Her head was slightly dipped down, her hands fidgeting in her lap. A wave of anxiety and helplessness washed over her as she was reminded of the last time she saw Korra this way. The elevator stopped, and she quickly got them into her apartment. She pushed Korra all the way into the bedroom and parked the chair beside the bed.

Asami bent down in front of the chair to be at eye level with her girlfriend. “Can I get you anything?”

Korra shook her head and played with her hands. “Why don’t we just get into bed,” Asami said, standing up and extending her hands for Korra to grasp. They hoisted her up and Korra hopped to the bed until she could sit down. Asami sat beside her, and soon as she was seated Korra wrapped her arms around her middle and cradled her head in the crook of Asami’s neck.

“What am I going to do with you, my brave and reckless hero?” Asami sighed.

***

To be continued...

Chapter 39: The Long Day

Notes:

Thank you TheToasterMarketingBoard for editing!!
Happy Holidays ya'll!

Chapter Text

Asami dropped Korra off at the docks on her way to meet with President Raiko at his office downtown. It took longer for Korra to get into the ferry with her wheelchair, than the ride to the Temple Island. The crew also had to her up the stairs from the dock to the temple grounds. Bolin, Tenzin and Lin were waiting for her in the courtyard.

Bolin gave a small wave and offered to push Korra’s chair as the four silently went to Tenzin’s study. Tenzin closed the door and Lin crossed her arms with a snort.

“So what happened to being a more mature Avatar?” Lin barked. “Bo said the resident had accepted no for an answer and that you volunteered yourself to find her photo anyway.”

Bolin, who was standing beside Korra’s chair, turned away and cursed Bo’s name under his breath.

Korra scowled and crossed her arms, mirroring the older woman. “I thought the more mature thing was going in myself, as a skilled professional instead of watching that woman throw herself in there.”

“Despite taking the no, she did seem very much prepared to go in once our backs were turned,” Bolin added.

Lin raised her eyebrows and jerked her head back in exasperation. “Skilled professional? What I don’t understand is that you three professionals didn’t have enough sense to try dismantling the structure first? Take the roof off before going inside?”

Bolin raised a finger as if asking for permission to speak. “The building was so precariously held together-”

“Then no one should have been going inside it,” Lin said, cutting Bolin off.

“You should have seen this woman and her son… Their hearts were broken and they had already lost so much…” As Korra spoke, Bolin nodded earnestly in agreement.

Lin was not impressed. “It doesn’t matter. What they lost was material. Replaceable.”

“Well, technically the photo-” Korra started.

“You are irreplaceable Korra. You are the Avatar and you have to accept that your duty has to always come first. And your duty is not comprised of little heroic moments like that, but to keep the balance.”

“Since when did you become the Avatar expert? That should at least be coming from Tenzin.”

Lin ignored her and turned her intense gaze at Bolin. “And as her friend, it’s your job to help her make the right decision, not egg her on!”

“You try telling Korra no,” Bolin said, and then bent down to Korra. “No offense.”

Korra clicked her tongue, then gave him an understanding nod.

Tenzin, who had remained silent for the exchange, finally cleared his throat. “Lin, I think your point has been made.”

Lin put a hand to her forehead and squeezed her temples. She took a deep breath in, held it and then slowly let it out. Bolin and Korra exchanged glances as they waited for Lin to say anything else. Her body soon relaxed and she mustered a semblance of a smile. “I guess it doesn’t matter now. I’m glad you’re okay kiddo.”

Korra cocked her head curiously. “Thanks Lin.”

“Bolin, you’re coming with us to the refugee camp, right?” Lin asked, motioning to the door.

Bolin grimaced and gave Korra a sideways glance. “Err… I dunno…”

“Just go, those people need the help,” Korra said with a shrug.

“I’d rather play Avatar-sitter but…” Bolin muttered as he headed to the door, lining up behind Lin and Tenzin.

Lin pinched Bolin’s ear and pulled him to her. “I’ve got rock lifting duty planned for you, kid.”

“Hey, I thought we were all good now. Besides, I was already doing that for Asami and getting paid for it!” Bolin moaned.

“Think of this as penance,” Lin said, giving a tug on Bolin’s ear before releasing him.

Bolin clutched his stinging ear as he moved to Korra’s chair to wheel her out with them. He parked her in the courtyard not far from where they met up earlier.

Korra watched Bolin drag his feet behind Lin and Tenzin as they headed towards the docks. Once they were out of sight, she was alone. Not even an acolyte was milling around the property. A sudden wave of loneliness washed over her.

“It’s not going to be like before… my leg will heal,” Korra said to herself, as she has done quietly all morning. It was becoming her mantra.

“Korra, we were so worried!” Pema said, wrapping her arms around the Avatar from behind, startling her.

Ikki and Meelo also appeared from behind Korra’s chair and started inspecting her. Pema let go of her embrace and moved so Korra could see her, Rohan on her hip.

“Does it hurt?” Ikki asked as she moved to poke Korra’s cast.

“Pretty bad, but the doctor gave me some medicine for the pain.”

“Korra can we sign your cast?” Meelo asked.

Ikki clasped her hands together and gasped. “Ooo, I want to paint something instead.”

“Well, I want to paint something too.”

Korra smiled. “You can both knock yourselves out on it.”

“Let’s get supplies!” Meelo hollered as he charged towards the temple. Ikki trailed behind him.

Pema adjusted the sleepy Rohan on her hip and moved closer. “I read the article. Tenzin brought home a copy last night. They did a good job. It’s history in the making.”

Korra shifted in her seat. “I wish it already was history.”

“I’ve already received a few inquiries over the phone. I’m guessing you are not up for any interviews about it today?”

“No, plus Asami and I agreed to only do interviews together anyways.”

Both women turned their heads to the temple as they heard Ikki and Meelo sprinting towards them. Their satchels of paints clanked and crackled as they ran.

“Got the paint!” Ikki cried gleefully.

“Looks like you’ll be stuck here a while. You mind watching Rohan while my children vandalize your leg?”

“I’m not going anywhere.”

“Great, I could use a few moments without interruption,” Pema said, passing her dozing son into Korra’s lap.

Meelo squatted down and inspected Korra’s cast. “I think we should split up vertically. You take the outside half, I’ll take the inside.”

Ikki agreed with a nod.

“Korra, could you lift your leg up and out straight.”

Korra obeyed. “I can’t hold it like this.”

Meelo furrowed his brow to contemplate. He eyed the courtyard for a suitable footstool. “Let’s wheel her over to the stone wall. We can prop the leg up there.”

“Do I get any say in this?” Korra asked, holding Rohan a little tighter, anticipating being moved at any moment.

Ikki frowned and put her hands on her hips. “Korra, we’re about to make your leg into a masterpiece.”

“I see. Wheel away.”

Meelo took the handles of Korra’s chair and Ikki scooped up the paint supplies.

Korra watched Ikki and Meelo work for a while, but the stillness and warm morning sun began causing her eyelids to droop. She eventually gave in to her sleepiness, resting her head on Rohan’s.

***

Korra roused when the small body in her arms startled to wriggle. She let go of her tight grasp around Rohan and he slipped from her lap.

“Rohan don’t go too far,” Korra said groggily.

“Don’t worry about him, he’s gonna be a powerful airbender just like his big brother.”

“We don’t necessarily know that Meelo,” Ikki warned, not taking her eyes off her work.

“Grandma Katara said so. Plus how could he not be? Dad’s a bender, Jinora is a bender, you’re a bender, I’m a bender. We’re all benders.”

Ikki huffed and rolled her eyes. “Did you forget we have a mother? Mom isn’t a bender.”

“Do you not want him to be a bender?”

Ikki blew out a sigh. “No. I just think you’re making assumptions and you shouldn’t do that, right Korra?”

Korra shifted in her seat.

“Don’t move!” Ikki commanded.

“Sorry!” Korra winced. “Ikki’s right though, you shouldn’t make assumptions about your brother or people in general. I’m sure people are making assumptions about me and Asami right now…”

“This is because you told everyone you’re dating?” Meelo asked.

“Yeah.”

“That’s stupid. Nothing’s different. You’re still two of the coolest people I know.”

“See and your brother would still be just as cool if he wasn’t a bender either.”

“I guess so...”

“So, you two ready to show me your masterpieces?”

Meelo dropped his brush. “I’ll go first. It’s a dragon. You got to have a fearsome beast to protect you. And they’re good luck too.”

Korra inspected the very realistic rendering of a dragon, a bit awkwardly since she didn’t have the ability to turn her leg. “It’s great, very scary.”

“And I did butterflies and rainbows! They’re to make you happy when you feel down about breaking your leg.”

Korra looked to the outside of her leg to Ikki’s more childish rendering. There were more colors than she had ever worn in her life in the small area.

“Thanks guys, this is nice. Now I like looking at my cast.”

“You’re welcome!”

“Kids, it’s time for lunch!” Pema called out.

Ikki and Meelo hopped up from their seated positions. Meelo moved to the back of Korra’s chair and Ikki ran to catch Rohan. The four then headed to lunch together.

***

Asami checked her watch against the clock on the wall, to make sure she wasn’t early by mistake. She had been sitting in Raiko’s reception area for over twenty minutes since she spoke with his secretary. She noticed the middle-aged woman had been occasionally looking up from her book to sneak a puzzled glance. No sooner did she think it, did the woman do it again. Self consciously Asami tucked a few loose tendrils of hair behind her ear. Was she having a bad hair day and didn’t realize it? Before Asami could question it further, Raiko’s door finally opened.

“Ah-ha sahmee?” Raiko called out, his voice a bit horse. He cleared his throat and tried again. “Asami?”

“President Raiko,” Asami replied following him into the office, draft drawings in tow.

“I read a great article yesterday, did you see it?” Raiko asked before tossing the Republic Magazine on his desk at Asami.

For a moment Asami was curious what he must have read until she saw herself and Korra staring back from the cover. Before she could think of anything clever to say, Raiko continued.

“A warning would have been nice. Do you know how many calls I’ve gotten about this in the past twenty-four hours? And what, Avatar Korra broke her leg too?”

“She did,” was all Asami could muster at the moment. Her mind was racing, she had completely forgotten about Raiko. Could he have even been trusted with the information? Maybe a day in advance. Asami’s stomach tightened. They should have at least done that.

Raiko sat down in his chair, so Asami sat as well.

“I don’t know what to say about all of this,” Raiko started, poking at the magazine, pushing it a few inches farther away from him, as if it were a creature he was afraid might bite. “I just keep telling people I can’t comment at this time.”

Asami watched Raiko shift in his seat.

“What do I say about this? I’m asking you.”

Asami cocked her head.

“You heard me,” Raiko waved his hand at the magazine. “What do I say?”

Asami cleared her throat. “Well, what do you want to say?”

“Frankly a lot of things. I’m shocked. Confused. I don’t get it.” Raiko paused to rub his chin for a few moments. His brow was deeply furrowed as if in deep consideration. “You could have any man in this city, you know that, right? I guess if you’re going to hop the fence for anyone, the Avatar is…” Raiko trailed off. “You know, I always wondered about her. She’s not a feminine woman.”

“Korra likes men more than I do.”

“You’re saying she switched for you?”

Asami let out a long sigh, giving herself a chance to collect her patience. “Korra likes men and women.”

Raiko opened his mouth to speak but hesitated.

“Not at the same time. She’s only dating me, but has the capacity to fall in love with a man or woman.”

Raiko steepled his fingers and then subtly pointed them to her. “And you…?”

“At this point, I think I’m only attracted to women but I did date a man…” Asami trailed off and then winced. “This isn’t anything you should discuss with anyone else. This is personal information I feel compelled to share since we may have forgotten to give you a heads up.”

Raiko slapped his hands on his desk and then clasped them together. “Got it. I think.”

Asami sighed again. The fingers on her right moved to her chin and then rubbed thoughtfully under her nose. “We need you to support us. You don’t have to understand it, but at least support our decision to be open about it. You can phrase that however you like.”

Raiko looked down at his hands. “You two are sure about this? This isn’t just fling you two overzealously shared with the world?”

“Would you be asking that if one of us were a man?”

Raiko took off his glasses and rubbed his eyes. “No, probably not. I’ll make a formal comment tomorrow. I’ll have a staffer drop off a copy to you tonight for approval.”

“You don’t have to-”

“You and Avatar Korra have done a lot for this city… I know I haven’t been the most appreciative of your efforts, especially Avatar Korra’s. Consider my support a thank you. So, shall we get down to business? What have you got planned for our citizens to commute around that giant bug zapper in the middle of the city?”

Asami picked up her drawings that were rolled up and resting beside her bag at her feet. She placed the roll in the middle of the table and flattened out the large pages. On the bottom was a map of the city before Kuvira’s attack. The next sheet was vellum with a drawing of the portal and vines, showing their placement on the old map and then lastly vellum showing Asami’s new road map.

“We can salvage most of the area if we raise the roads over ground zero.” Asami pointed to the small circle representing the spirit portal in the center of the map. It looked like a bullseye, with the ring around it representing the spirit vines, and then another circle for Asami’s draft of the roundabout.


“This way we maximize the space without much interaction with the portal and vines. I think for aesthetic purposes we keep a good distance from the Portal. We’ll have a roundabout going around the Portal, so it will be a bit of a nuisance for those who need to get to the other side, but this won’t be the only way for people to cross the city. More a way to make the streets and buildings right next to the Portal accessible. I don’t think we should have any formal roadways going to the portal itself. I know we have a temporary wall preventing entry, but I think some kind of secondary permanent fencing along the perimeter where the vines are still fairly dense should be built. This is now protected land and until we know what having a spirit portal entails we need to keep it fairly separate.”

“I humored Tenzin’s daughter by putting her in charge of things down there. Can you give me a more accurate idea of when this new claim to fame of ours can be profitable? At least for increasing tourism? That was the only saving grace of the spirit wilds.”

“This is more complicated. I’m going to get the area around it up and functional again, but anything beyond that I would not expect until the next year or two.”

“You know what buying back the land is going to cost? That area is prime downtown real estate.”

“Even though the portal is not directly accessible, people will come.”

Raiko waved her off. “After the road project, I need you to help me think of a real revenue generator for this city. We need to bounce back and bounce back fast.”

“I’ll keep that in mind.”

“Well if that’s it, I say we go with whatever you got on these plans for the roads and be done with it.”

***

“Are you sure he’ll do it?” Izzi asked, trailing behind Shey as they traversed through piles of rubble. The pair had just wasted a good thirty minutes wandering around the Future Industries construction zone before finding out Bolin wasn’t going to be there. They then tried the refugee camps, but came up empty, save for a tip to try downtown near the perimeter of ground zero.

“He’s the darling of Republic City. Everyone loves him. He’s perfect. Also, think of the excitement that will be generated just by people hearing he’s coming out of retirement? All those Nuktuk fans!” Shey called back.

Izzi nearly tripped on a stray vine but caught herself. She took the long way around it to be safe. “This isn’t the Nuktuk they’re used to though… Nuktuk got the girl, not the guy. Speaking of, who is even going to play the other guy?”

“I’ll figure that out once I know if Bolin will be our lead.” Shey stopped and waited for Izzi to catch up.

“And what about our other project-”

“There he is,” Shey interrupted. She stopped and waited for Izzi to catch up.

“What about the documover?” Izzi repeated once she was confident she’d be heard this time.

Shey shrugged casually. “We’re not ditching it, besides we got lots of footage to slog through before we should shoot anything else. The plan is to cover all the reconstruction, which will take months, maybe even years to be completed.”

“You really want to make this mover?”

“Timing is everything, you’ll learn that,” Shey said with a grin as she smoothed her slick black hair. With all their walking, they were both looking a bit more disheveled than Shey had hoped for their pitch to Bolin.

“Bolin,” Shey cried out with a wave as they got closer. Bolin and Opal were sitting on a vine with a little picnic spread out between them. Before the pair had a chance to react, Shey and Izzie were upon them.

Bolin swallowed hard and looked to Opal for guidance. She could only offer a shrug. “So, what brings you by? Doing some more filming?” Bolin asked, despite silently noting the two women had no equipment on them. “Korra is going to be out of commission for a while I’m guessing.”

Shey shifted awkwardly on her feet. She felt an unwanted heat rise on her face. “How is the Avatar?”

Bolin turned to Opal again, asking with his eyes what to say. Opal sighed and stepped in. “Her leg is broken, but she’ll bounce back. I think it’s more of a nuisance than anything else for her.”

“That’s good,” Shey murmured.

Bolin nodded. “Thanks for stopping the tanks by the way. That probably saved her life.”

“We couldn’t just stand by and watch something like that happen. Besides, how many times has she saved all of us?” Izzi said with a smile looking to Shey. Her expression was hard to read, so she turned back to Opal and Bolin. “Anyways, we actually came here to speak with you Bolin, right Shey?”

At the sound of her name, Shey refocused. “We have a pitch.”

Bolin cocked his head. “Yeah?”

“You ever thought about getting back into movers?”

“I mean, I haven’t not, not thought about it,” Bolin said trailing off at the end. He gave a sidelong glance to his girlfriend.

Opal rolled her eyes. “So yes.”

Shey continued, “we have a film we want to make and you to be one of the stars.”

“I’m interested,” Bolin said leaning in.

“Really? You don’t even know what it’s about,” Opal muttered.

“I have the script.” Shey motioned to Izzi for the papers. “We feel it’s very topical and a story that needs to be heard.”

Izzi passed Bolin the script. Before he got a chance to flip through it Opal grabbed it from him.

“We’ll give it a look,” Bolin replied with an awkward girn.

“Here’s my card. Come to our office if you want to get involved.” Shey and Izzi both gave a slight bow and turned to leave.

***

Wu and Tu had spent the better part of their lunch break milling around the upper ring marketplace, a small cluster of shops located in an alley outside the gates of the palace.

“Shouldn’t we get back to the palace to meet with Suyin?” Tu asked.

“Just this last little row and then we can go,”

The two men passed a small wooden booth selling newspapers and a few magazines. Tu lingered behind Wu checking to see if they had any fashion magazines when he saw two familiar women on one of the covers. “Wu, isn’t that the Avatar?”

Wu stopped and walked back to Tu. “Yes and Asami Sato too,” he muttered, pulling the magazine from the rack. “The two most powerful women in Republic City. They forgot to mention most beautiful too,” Wu said wiggling his eyebrows.

“What’s it about?” Tu asked, looking over Wu’s shoulder.

“Oh, probably some article about them helping to save Republic City. I should have been interviewed as well, but I guess that would be hard with me here.” Wu licked his pointer finger and flipped through the pages until he reached their article. The men silently stared at the two-page picture of Korra and Assmi holding hands.

“Quite a shocker, don’t you think?”

Wu and Tu looked up, mouths agape, having forgotten the presence of the newsstand cashier.

The cashier rubbed his chin and continued. “Don’t really get it myself. Couple of gorgeous girls like that could find boyfriends.”

Wu, still in shock, slowly folded close the magazine and fished in his pocket for a few coins. “It’s not like that… they’re together because they want to be...” Wu placed the money on the booth’s counter. He was about to grab Tu and walk away, but he hesitated and turned back. “Have many people purchased this magazine from you?”

“Naw, only got a few copies myself this morning. This may surprise you, but the biggest consumers of news are the middle ring. The richest and the poorest don’t want to know what’s coming, it’s everyone else that wants to stay informed. I reckon it’s because they want to know how to become rich and avoid being poor.” When the cashier finished, he flashed a toothy grin.

Wu forced a chuckle and ushered Tu away from the booth. “We have got to go find Suyin.”

****

Suyin held the Republic Magazine to her face one more time inspecting the cover. “And how many shops are selling this did he say?”

“Couldn’t really confirm, but it’s out there. So, you knew too?” Wu replied as he paced around Suyin’s small palace bedroom. She had been given it for the duration of her stay. Just a bed with a small sitting area the three were currently occupying.

Suyin tossed the magazine on the coffee table separating her from the two young men, barely missing her teacup. “Yes, my daughter informed me. When did you find out?”

“From Mako, but not purposefully. I wish he had said something sooner; it would have helped explain his sullen behavior when he was here. So, is this going to be a crisis?”

“No. You remember our conversation about a month ago at the palace? These two are the perfect faces of the cause.”

“I guess so… they’re not getting married but… If you don’t support the Avatar’s relationship, then there is no persuading you on the matter. And I can’t really see anyone defying the Avatar, not after all the times she’s saved our hinnies.”

“Hey, didn’t they both date Mako…” Tu asked, breaking his long silence.

Wu started to laugh. “We talked about his dating history with Korra and Asami, and he’s made peace with it, remember? This shouldn’t rattle his cage. Though I’d pay to see the girls do something to cause that cute face he makes when he’s exasperated.”

Wu noticed Tu had fallen silent and was staring at the article. His eyes furrowed, mouth agape.

“Disappointed they’re off the market?” Wu goaded with a light pat to Tu’s hulking shoulder.

Tu shook his head and kept his eyes pensively on the magazine on the table. “No, I’ve just never known anyone like that before…”

“Do you have a problem with it?” Suyin started defensively, leaning in towards the table.

Wu held up his had to her and shook his head. He was about to mouth something to Suyin but Tu shot up from his seat.

“I should get back and check on the family. I’ve been gone too long today.”

“That’s fine Tu. Suyin and I will likely have some business for the rest of the day at the palace. Swing by my place later if you want to grab some dinner,” Wu said, flashing a smile. Tu nodded and made his way out of the room. The door clicked closed.

“He seemed a little uncomfortable,” Suyin said after a few moments of silence.

Wu tapped his fingers on the armrest of his chair eyeing the open seat Tu once occupied. “Yeah, a little bit.”

“I thought my soon to be son-in-law was a meathead, guess it runs in the family.”

“He’s a really good guy. Tu supplied the crew that helped us with operation ‘she who will not be named’.”

“He’s pretty cute too.”

“He’s not bad-hey!”

Suyin smiled. “I don’t think he’s an option though.”

Wu sighed and leaned onto the armrest of his chair. “I’m bombing with both sexes. Do you happen to know of a third option?”

“Air nomads recognized a third gender for those who did not identify with their sex of birth,” Suyin said matter-of-factly. “I need to call Korra. I’m sure she will want us to do damage control for this in the capital. I wonder if they knew the paper would travel this far… I want to do it at your place though. I don’t trust my phone here.”

***

Bolin and Opal returned to Air Temple Island for dinner. Once the meal was over most had scattered save Korra, Ikki and Meelo.

“So I’ve been asked to be in a mover, what do ya’ll think? Is it time for me to return to the big screen?” Bolin asked the group, giving his eyebrows a wiggle.


Opal rolled her eyes at Korra, who was seated beside her at the far end of the table. The Avatar’s cast covered leg was awkwardly splayed out beside her. It was easier to leave it out from under the table, but it was in danger of getting tripped on in its exposed state.

“I don’t see why not,” Korra replied with a shrug. She dared a look at Opal who did not share her boyfriend’s enthusiasm.

“A thousand times yes!” Ikki shouted.

“What’s it about? Hopefully not more Nuktuk, right?” Korra asked.

Meelo’s ears perked up. “Something with some action at least!”

Bolin rubbed the back of his head. “Well I haven’t actually read the script yet, so I don’t know what it’s about.”

“You have to read it before you agree to anything. You were just saying you were sick of being other people’s mouthpiece? You need to know what you are signing up for before you do something like this again,” Opal scolded.

“It’s so long though!” Bolin reached under the table and plopped the stack of bound papers on the table. The thud made dishware wobble and clank. “The Nuktuk mover’s scripts were just a few doodles made by Varrick and annotated by Zhu Li.”

“And look where it got you, making propaganda.”

“She’s got a point Bolin, you should probably read it this time. Besides if that’s the script, you’re going to need to read it anyway to learn all those lines,” Korra added.

“I can help you practice your lines!” Ikki offered, reaching across the table for the script. Her little arms struggled to pull the massive stack of papers towards her. She moved aside her dinner plate and started reading the script.

“So, where’s Asami?” Bolin asked.

“Working late, but she should be coming here soon to spend the night. Did you see Mako last night at your apartment?”

Bolin thought for a moment. “He wasn’t home, I haven’t seen him since I ran into him at Little Ba Sing Se. I assume he’s heard you broke your leg?”


“It’s fine if he’s too busy to visit, I was more curious if he was staying away because of the article.”

Bolin pursed his lips as he considered Korra’s words. “I mean maybe, but he was also telling me the other day that he just kinda needs space to do his own thing for a while. He’s trying to get his career going here again. I think he felt like his time in Ba Sing Se was not a waste of time, but a distraction. Like an extension of the Wu-sitting he was already doing.”

Opal touched Korra’s arm and gave it a squeeze. “This will be the worst of it for him, but once everyone gets over you and Asami’s announcement life will just all settle back into normal.”

“Bolin, do you know who’s playing your boyfriend?” Ikki asked, startling the other four.

“Boyfriend?”

“Yeah, I think this is a story about two boys in love. It’s pretty good so far…” Ikki said, flipping to the next page.

Opal raised an eyebrow at Bolin, who was still processing the information. “You have my blessings to do the mover now.”

“Give me that!” Bolin grumbled, pulling the script back over to his side of the table.

“Don’t lose my place!” Ikki barked back.

Bolin folded the upper corner of the page Ikki left off at and flipped to the front of the script. At the top was a note stating Shey wanted him to read for the role of “Yang Lee.”

The three girls watched Bolin read through the script. He was mouthing the words to himself.

Ikki rested her chin on her hands and leaned across the table. “You get to the kissing scene yet?”

Bolin flinched and his face quickly went pink. “Kissing scene?!”

“Well, this mover isn’t going to be anything you’re going to have to worry about being jealous of, Opal,” Korra teased.

Opal grinned. “Honestly keeps sounding better and better. Strangely enough, I’m not put off by the idea of seeing Boling kiss another man.”

Ikki was now blushing. “Wha?”

“This is getting weird, I’m out,” Meelo announced standing up from the table. The other four had forgotten his presence since he was so uncharacteristically quiet. He then tucked a book under his arm and left.

“Meelo reading?” Korra asked no one in particular. “That’s the strangest thing happening in the room.”

“What strange things are happening in here?” Asami asked, walking in not seconds after Meelo vacated.

“Bolin’s gotta boyfriend!” Ikki shouted with glee.

“In the mover he’s going to be starring in,” Opal clarified.

“A mover? Bolin, I thought you wanted to get into construction?”

Bolin cleared his throat. “Yeah, I think that would still be best. Nice and manly construction! You find me an apprenticeship yet?”

“Seriously, you’re going to bail on this because you’ll be playing a gay man? I think that will be revolutionary. What’s the story about?” asked Opal.
“Two detectives…” Bolin muttered petulantly.

Opal slapped the table. “You love detective stories! This is the perfect opportunity!”

Bolin folded his arms and scrunched his body.“I know… it’s just…”

“You’re worried if you do this movie people will think you’re gay?” Asami asked.

Bolin bowed his head, sinking into himself more. “It’s stupid and to say that in front of you and Korra. I-I’m ashamed.”

“I mean, people might,” Korra said with a shrug. “People who don’t know you, or that you’re engaged. Even then, they might wonder.”

“Who cares though, right?” Opal put a hand over Bolin’s. “We know who you are.”

“I can allocate some of my press team to help make your wedding plans make the news,” Asami offered.

“No, that won’t be necessary. It’s a stupid concern. Only weeks ago I encouraged you two to bravely tell the truth of who you are and I can’t even handle the thought of people suspecting something similar of myself.” Bolin rose from his seat on the floor and pointing a hand to the ceiling. “That’s preposterous! If they think I’m gay, they are wrong, but there is nothing wrong with being gay!”

As Bolin was pontificating, Pema slid the door open and poked her head in, just in time to hear his final declaration.

“Phone for Korra.”

Bolin’s face reddened and he quickly shot back down to his seat at the table.

“Tell them to give me a minute, I gotta get back up in my chair.”

Bolin and Opal both moved at the same time to help Korra and bonked heads.

“I got her,” Asami announced.

Korra slid her mobile leg out from under the table and then scooted her whole body further away. “Man I didn’t think this through when I got down here. Usually the transfer isn’t from such a low place.”

“What happened to your cast?” Asami asked, leaning over to get a look at it.

“Meelo and I did!” Ikki chimed in.

Asami smiled. “You did the butterflies and rainbows right?”

Ikki nodded enthusiastically.

“They are lovely. Thanks for giving my girlfriend a little glamour.”

“Here I got you Korra,” Bolin said positioning his body behind Korra and grabbing her under the armpits. “Now kick off the floor with your good leg!” Korra obeyed and her right leg pivoted her up into a standing position. Asami moved the chair beside Bolin and he aimed Korra in front of it, so Korra just needed to sit down.

“I should be able to do that on my own, I’m not weak, it’s just my leg.”

“We know, but you can’t risk trying to use your left leg reflexively,” Asami said.

“I know… I can at least go answer the phone on my own,” Korra said, taking the wheels at her side and propelling them forward.

Once Korra was out of the room, Bolin and Asami sat back down at the table.

“So, who’s putting on this new mover?” Asami asked.

Bolin flinched. He picked up the script and flipped it back to the first page, which featured the script’s title and author. “I wonder if you might know her…”

Asami collected the script and inspected the name. Her cheeks reddened, but then her face quickly turned pale.

“What’s wrong, Aasami?” Ikki asked moving closer. “Oh wait, now I know why that name sounded familiar. Isn’t she?”

“Yes.”

Ikki clasped her hands over her mouth.

“How about cluing us in here?” Opal said with a wave.

Asami pushed the script away. “Shey is my ex.”

Bolin snapped his fingers and looked to Opal. “I knew there was something she wasn’t saying the other day when she asked about you.”

“She was asking about me?”

Bolin turned back to Asami. “I crossed paths with Shey at your construction site. We just had a brief conversation, mostly about what I was doing there, but you came up.”

“Oh no, she’s seen the article!” Asami grabbed her forehead with her hand and leaned onto the table.

“Isn’t that a good thing?” Bolin asked.

Opal scrunched her face and elbowed her boyfriend “Why would that be good?”

“You know, that Asami’s moved on… I guess not, even if you’re broken up that hurts…”

Asami peeked out from her behind her hand. “I wasn’t the most honest with her when we broke up.”

“You left her for Korra,” Opal said, more a statement than a question.

Ikki dramatically shook her head and leaned over the table with excitement. “Not even, Korra wasn’t even back. She just loved her so much!”

Opal smirked. “My first impression of you Asami wasn’t that you were the type to sit around and pine for someone for years.”

“Did you like Korra that whole time she was sick?” Bolin asked, cocking his head curiously. Asami’s blush deepened under his scrutiny. “You big old mush puddle. If only the rest of the world knew that the big bad businesswoman Asami Sato is a hardcore romantic.”

“Why did you keep dating Shey from us though?” Opal asked. “Or were you not together long enough for that?”

Asami regained her composure. “I was going to introduce her to everyone but… I realized it wouldn’t have been fair to her.”

“So, what do you want me to do about the script? I can pass if it would be too awkward.”

Asami looked down at the table for a moment. She noted the swirling and whirling grain pattern of the wood. The idea of quickly making this all go away with Korra none the wiser was very tempting. She looked over to Ikki; the young girl was staring at her intensely. Their conversation at the beach came back to her and then she knew what she needed to do. Asami gave a small nod and Ikki beamed.

“No, I want you to do the mover. I need to tell Korra the truth, just give me a little time to figure out the best way.”

**

The halls were empty as Korra wheeled herself to the phone room. She was grateful she didn’t have to face any sympathetic faces awkwardly dodging out of her way as she did on her way to dinner. She was used to people giving her a wide berth as she passed, but when she was in this chair it was ridiculous.


When she arrived, she kept her chair facing down the hallway so it was easier to just slide open the door. It then took her a minute to rotate the chair in the right direction to enter the room. It moved well enough forward, but any turns were easier with someone else pushing.


“Asami has got to take a look at this design and make some improvements,” Korra muttered as she parked herself at the desk. She picked up the receiver and cleared her throat before saying hello.

“Korra, it’s Suyin.”

“Suyin, good to hear from you. How is reconstruction coming along in Zaofu?”

“Going well, but I am actually currently in Ba Sing Se. I wanted to let you know that your magazine has made it for sale out here.”

“Oh… well, the word was going to travel at some point out there, at least people will find out from the direct source.”

“You weren’t aware it was going to come this far?”

“Honestly I don’t know, it was the Public Relations team from Asami’s company that was hired to take care of everything. Asami might have known, but I didn’t even think to ask where this was and wasn’t going. Do you know how it’s being received?”

“Not yet, Wu and I wanted to know how you would like us to get in front of this, if necessary.”

Korra craned her neck to look out the door to see if anyone was nearby. “That’s more of an Asami question…”

“Is she available to join the call?”

“Yeah she’s here, but in the dining room,” Korra mumbled, scratching at the back of her head. “I’ll have to go get her, I don’t see anyone I can flag down. Give me five minutes.”

“Five minutes?” Suyin repeated, but Korra didn’t hear her, having already put the receiver back down on the table.

Korra grumbled to herself as she backed out from the table and propelled herself out the door. It was at least easier getting out than getting in. She again made her way down the hallway back towards the dining room. It wasn’t long before she was in front of one of the closed doors into the dining room. She reached out and slid the door to the side, revealing Ikki, Bolin, Opal and Asami still hanging around the table.

“Hey,” Korra muttered breaking up the conversation. All four perked up like they were being scolded.

“So who was it?” Bolin asked.

“Suyin, but she wants to talk to Asami too.”

Asami shot up in her seat. “There wasn’t anyone around to notify me?”

Korra shrugged. “Naw. I’ll take a push for this now, for time’s sake.”

“What does Suyin want?” Asami asked as she crossed the dining room.

“We’re going to be famous in Ba Sing Se.”

“Ah.”

“Tell my mom I say hi,” Opal called out as the pair left.

“She just wants to know how we’d like her to handle damage control,” Korra offered as they made their way through the halls.

“That’s kind of her to take that on. Funny, I was speaking with Raiko today about the very same thing. He’s going to respond to the public in our favor.”

“I would hope so.”

Asami parked Korra at the small desk in the phone room and pulled up a chair beside her. Korra passed the receiver over.

“Suyin?”

“Asami. How are you?”

“I am well. You are in Ba Sing Se?”

“Yes, I’m here checking in on how things are progressing in the capital. To be honest I am not impressed. I am speaking to you on Wu’s phone, I am at his upper ring bungalow.”

“How long are you going to be there?”

“In Ba Sing Se, I am now not sure. I have accommodations in the palace but, I might make a move to get some temporary lodging offsite. I have lost confidence in having any privacy there. I was going to mention this to Korra first, but I want your support as well. I plan to make moves towards holding an election here in Ba Sing Se for a leadership role that would oversee all the individual rulers of the states of the Earth Kingdom. With no centralized power, it again has created a vacuum for more powerful states to make a move to improve their own situations at the cost of the more vulnerable ones.”

“May I assume you will be a candidate for this election?”

“Yes. I need Korra’s support, along with any other politically connected individuals from the United Republic and elsewhere.”

“It’s a gamble Suyin, do you have any idea who would want to run against you?”

“I am trying to suss that out. I have few people I might guess, but honestly, I could see most of these scoundrels nominating themselves.”

“Are you talking about our article?” Korra asked, leaning into Asami as if she could hear their conversation if she just moved a little bit closer.

Asami covered the receiver’s mouthpiece. “Politics.”

Korra nodded and slumped back into her seat.

“You have my support and I can speak for Korra to say you will have hers as well. I will catch her up to speed on what you told me. So are we the talk of the town there? What’s the atmosphere?”

“I am not sure, it’s still early days here, I think the magazine just went on sale today.”

“I trust your judgment in your support. We only ask that you don’t share any personal anecdotes about our relationship. What we told people in the article is as far in depth we want to go regarding our personal lives. I also ask when speaking public not get too into the weeds about sexuality semantics. You can speak broadly to them, but don’t get sucked into a discussion that analyzes ours. And we are not getting married. I still want to support the right to, but I am not ready to do anything like that myself.”

“Understood. May I speak to Korra again briefly?”

Asami unconsciously nodded, forgetting Suyin couldn’t see her and pulled the receiver away from her ear and towards Korra. She accepted it and held it to her own.

“Suyin.”

“Korra, any feedback of your own?”

“Naw, I think Asami covered it.”

“I was wondering if you were maybe available soon to come to Ba Sing Se for a visit? Things are stable in the United Republic, so now would be a good time to visit and show your support. Let the Earth Kingdom know there aren’t any hard feelings about… Kuvira.”

Korra blew out some air. “I probably should… though I am not in the best shape right now.”

“What do you mean?”

“I broke my leg the other day...” Korra muttered.

“How?! Was there an attack?”

“No, just a stupid accident in the warzone clean up.”

“You should be more careful Korra-”

Korra cut Suyin off, not wanting to hear one more lecture about being careful. “I know, I know. I’ve heard it all. Let me think about it.”

“We’ll take you any way we can get you. I’ll be in touch soon with any updates.”

“Okay, goodnight Suyin,” Korra hung up the phone and looked to Asami. “She wants me to visit Ba Sing Se.”

Asami gave a nod. “It’s not the worst idea, Ming did mention keeping us apart with good deeds was a good strategy… but for how long? And are you even up to it?”

“I dunno, in my current state I don’t feel like I would be showing any sign of strength,” Korra said with a shrug.

“Especially if Suyin wants you in her corner. We need to get you upright, maybe a pair of crutches over the wheelchair.”

“Speaking of, I have some suggestions for improving the model. Think Future Industries would want to get into manufacturing wheelchairs?”

“For you, I’d have them make anything,”

“How do you feel about spending the night here?” Korra asked, reaching out a hand to Asami.

Asami accepted the hand with her own and massaged the back of it with her thumb. “It would easier since we’re already here.” She looked down at their clasped hands and took a breath. Asami almost had mustered enough courage to tell Korra about Shey when she noticed Korra was starting to lean in. The Avatar stopped and chucked.

“I can’t move any closer, but I want to kiss you.”

Asami let out the breath she was holding with a nervous giggle. “I’ll come to you.”

Asami rose from her seat and planted her hands on the armrests of the wheelchair for support. She then leaned down to eye level with Korra.
“This better…”

“Yes,” Korra whispered as she closed the distance between them.

To be continued…

Chapter 40: Writing on the Wall

Notes:

Thank you TheToasterMarketingBoard for editing this long chapter!
Hope everyone is staying safe!

Chapter Text

Asami felt the kink in her back as she rose from the driver’s seat of her Satomobile. The board-stiff beds at the Air Temple, paired with Korra’s limited mobility, had made it quite difficult for Asami to get comfortable last night. She started to regret her decision to leave Korra there this morning, but then again what would she do all day in the apartment? The temple was as much Korra’s office as the corporate tower she was about to enter was hers. Asami wondered if a good night’s sleep would be worth the extra effort of shuttling Korra back and forth from Air Temple Island moving forward.

Lost in thought, Asami did not notice the cluster of janitorial employees out in front of the Future Industries corporate tower with buckets of soapy water and tall scrub brushes. At first, she assumed they were simply cleaning the windows, but they were clustered together ferociously scrubbing just one area. As Asami got closer she could see it was red paint they were trying to excise from the company’s first-floor windows.

Asami sped up her gait until she was on top of them. “Step aside,” she commanded, pushing through the workers.

“Miss Sato please, you don’t need to see-” one of her workers started, but it was too late. Asami could see the characters in bright red paint smeared across her building.

“Dyke Industries,” Asami read silently to herself. Her stomach fell.

“We were trying to get it cleaned up before you arrived Miss Sato, but the paint’s dry. We should have it lifted within the hour. We’re getting paint thinner from one of the factories driven over now,” one of the janitors commented.

Asami breathed an audible sighed, then wordlessly walked away from the custodians and into the building. Kali was right inside the door to meet her.

“Miss Sato, I am so sorry,” Kali started. “I called the staff out there as soon as I got in this morning but-”

Asami held up a hand and continued to march towards the elevator. “I’ve already heard it from them and moving forward this isn’t something I want to be hidden from me.”

“I would have of course briefed you on the incident when you got into the office. Do you want me to get them to put a tarp out over it while they wait for better cleaning supplies?” Kali asked as she pushed the button for the floor Asami’s office was located on.

“No, leave it. I don’t want to slink away from this incident like I’m ashamed.”

Kali bowed. “Understood, Miss Sato.”

Asami gave her a nod and then stood for a few moments in silence as they rode up to the top floor. A bell rang and the elevator doors opened. Asami powered towards her office. Kali kept pace beside her

“As a friend now, are you okay?”

Asami bit her lip and considered the question. “Yes, it’s just…”

They made it to Asami’s office door. She opened it for Kali and waved her in. Once the door was closed behind them Asami let out another breath. She carelessly lobbed her work satchel onto her desk with a thud. Kali stayed by the door while Asami began to pace around her office.

“I was foolishly starting to feel optimistic about the whole thing. The article dropped a few days ago and there hasn’t been a peep from anyone. I spoke with Raiko yesterday and he’s going to release a written statement today signaling his support of us. I was starting to believe we had fretted and fussed for no reason but that was wishful thinking.”

“Do you have any idea who could have done it?” Kali asked as she watched Asami pass by.

“No. I doubt anyone with real power since it was such a crude job. Someone with influence would try to hurt me with published words. It could have been an employee for all I know…” Asami said, stopping by one of her large windows. She looked down at the streets and buildings below. “But I’m scared if this gets out that those who were afraid to make any sort of move will be emboldened now that someone has drawn first blood.”

“I can still request the tarp…” Kali started.

Asami shook her head. “No, I have to take the gamble. If it’s seen, it’s seen. All we can control is how our reaction to it is viewed.”

Kali stepped more into the room and decided to lean against Asami’s desk. “Raiko is putting out a statement today in the positive, right? People take orders from the top and if the President says it’s okay-”

“Half this city doesn’t give a shit about what Raiko thinks!” Asami snapped cutting Kali off. She winced instantly regretting the action. “I’m sorry. I’m getting too worked up over this. It was just some dumb words on the building. A petty dig from a petty person.”

“Exactly, and if this is the worst of it, then you’re getting off pretty darn easy.”

“Here’s hoping,” Asami sighed and stopped next to Kali at the desk. She reached into her work satchel and pulled out her drafts for the roads around the portal. “Can you schedule a meeting this afternoon with the department heads? Raiko has approved the road plans and I want to get started on this as soon as possible.”

***
Korra sat around the dining room table with Ikki, Meelo, Jinora, and Rohan. The three older children were quietly working on their writing lessons. Since they were not enrolled in school, Pema forced her children to practice reading, writing, and arithmetic at least a few times a week.

Korra had a book open in front of her too, but she was not absorbing any of it. A mystery novel borrowed from Bolin to pass the time. She was learning reading about other people’s adventures wasn’t nearly as thrilling as going on your own.

The conversation with Suyin last night came back to her. Traveling to Ba Sing Se, sorting out corruption and supporting Suyin’s candidacy wasn’t usually the kind of challenge she’d be eager to jump on, what with it being politics and all. But given her circumstances, that sounded better than the alternative of loitering around Air Temple Island waiting for her friends and girlfriend to come home each day.

Could she go to the Earth Kingdom in this state? It was a question she could ask the nurse who was scheduled to come by today and check in on her. It’s not like they didn’t have doctors in Ba Sing Se.

Lost in thought, Korra didn’t notice all the children except Rohan had left the table, their books closed and pencils left carelessly beside them. Pema came in with a cup of steaming tea in her hands.

“I was going to turn on the radio, do you mind?” Pema asked between blowing on the hot liquid.

Korra flipped her book shut, not caring to save the page she was on. “Go for it,
I’ve long given up on pretending to read this.”

Pema nodded and turned the radio’s switch from off to on. She then fidgeted with a second knob to find the channel she was looking for. “I like getting the afternoon news.”

“I should probably tune into what’s going on too,” Korra said with a sigh as she leaned over the table and propped herself up by the elbows.

“It’s good to stay informed.” Pema collected her children’s books to correct and then sat down next to Rohan. He was in a small chair that clipped to the table so he could not get out unless someone released him. Rohan didn’t seem to mind. He had a large piece of parchment and wax crayons to doodle with.

“Good afternoon Republic City! Shiro Shinobi here with the news. Police Chief Lin Beifong made a statement last night that all the displaced citizen’s homes have been assessed and those that are not safe will be torn down. About one-eighth of the population who were evacuated will need to be put into temporary housing. The tents the city set up downtown are just for the short term. Citizens with extra space available to rent in their homes are encouraged to come forward and the city will broker a lease. Not a bad way to make some extra cash if I don’t say so myself. Ever dreamed of running a boarding home, what about a bed and breakfast? Now’s your chance to give it a try!”

Korra shook her head as she listened. She was never a big Shiro Shinobi fan, but she knew many people in the city were, so perhaps it would lead to more citizens offering to rent their extra rooms.

“Miss Asami Sato, Chief Executive of Future Industries has donated her family home to act as a shelter and resource center for the most vulnerable citizens who have been displaced. Reconstruction of the mansion is planned to start immediately. Speaking of Asami Sato, in case you haven’t read the Republic Magazine article, which how could you have not? She and Avatar Korra announced they are a couple! President Raiko has released a formal written statement that he has no objections to the relationship and commends the two women’s courage and integrity by being honest with the public. He encourages the citizens of Republic City and I quote ‘that this revelation should just be a footnote in our minds when we think of these two women who have done so much for our city.’ Surprisingly direct response from President Raiko who often plays both sides of an issue until he can determine the winning perspective. But you heard it here, Raiko is siding with the Avatar and Miss Sato, not that I blame him. I wouldn’t want two of the most influential women in Republic City and in Avatar Korra’s case the world, to have reason to conspire against me! But what do you my lovely listeners of Republic City think of our new power couple? We will be taking calls until the end of the business day and then broadcasting real feedback from real callers on tomorrow’s broadcast!”

When Shiro signed off, Pema dared a look at Korra from her stack of paper. Her eyes were locked on the table. After a few long moments of silence, Korra nodded her head a few times and looked up.

“Well then, I guess we’ll have to catch the show tomorrow and see what people think.”

Pema put down some papers she was holding. “Remember Korra, it doesn’t matter what they think because we all love you two, so very much.”

Korra felt the corners of her eyes start to burn. “Stop, you’re going to make me cry.” She wiped at them, in hopes of stopping any tears before the start.

***
After the news, Korra stuck around inside for a while longer waiting for the nurse. When half an hour passed from when they said they would arrive, Korra wheeled herself outside to the courtyard for some fresh air and to wait for them. No sooner had she arrived than she could see Xaiver coming up the docks with a small medical bag in tow. It was likely just a regular size bag, but next to his hulking form it looked small. When he caught sight of her, his face lit up with a smile.

“Avatar Korra! How’s the leg feeling?” He called out across the courtyard.

“Sore, but I’m getting used to the dull ache.”

Xaiver tapped his bag as he continued towards her. “Well I brought you some more pain medication, but once it runs out that is it, okay?”

“Yeah that’s fine,” Korra replied with a shrug.

“It’s not great for the liver, but sure does help with the pain.”

“Right.”

Xaiver dropped down to look at Korra’s leg. He gingerly touched the cast. “I see you’ve had a little work done on this?” He said with a giggle. “Did you hear Shiro’s show?”

“I don’t usually listen, but I happened to catch it today.”

“Don’t worry, I doubt anyone would call in and say anything bad. And in case they do, Jon Yuen and a bunch of other people at the hospital are going to call in,” Xavier said as he stretched out Korra’s bad leg and then bent it back towards her, testing the flexibility.

“That’s sweet of you,” Korra replied with a wince. The movement was uncomfortable. “I am curious, albeit scared of what the public really thinks…”

“I hear you. Still, I can’t imagine how they could find any fault that wasn’t just homophobic!” Xaiver said, rising from his kneeling position at Korra’s feet. “Speaking of the hospital crew, I may have promised them a signed copy of your magazine as payment for calling in…”

“So, these favorable calls are bribed?”

“No, no. They are with you one hundred percent, I just wanted to give a little incentive. Besides, if they didn’t approve why would they want a signed copy of a magazine all about it?” Xaiver said, pulling out a stack of magazines out of the medical bag with his platypus-bear sized paws.

“I dunno, to sell on the black market?” Korra replied sarcastically as she accepted the magazines. “It’s okay if Asami doesn’t sign these? I don’t know when she’s getting back tonight.”

Xavier sheepishly passed Korra a pen. “No problem, I only promised Avatar signatures.”

Korra let out a little sigh and looked down at the cover trying to decide the best place to sign. She settled on marking next to her head; there was plenty of space, and she probably shouldn’t sign on Asami’s side in case these fans ever got the opportunity to collect her signature too.

“The leg is healing nicely by the way,” Xaiver offered.

“How far out do you think I am from being able to switch to crutches?” Korra asked as she moved a signed magazine to the back of the pile.

Xaiver blew out some air, fluttering his chestnut bangs. “Couple weeks, honestly. It’s only been a few days since you broke it. We’re still in the ‘avoid putting pressure on it at all costs’ phase. I have a healer scheduled to come by tomorrow, that should expedite things a little bit if we do it regularly. Why?”

“I might need to go to Ba Sing Se,” Korra started.

Xaiver slapped his large hands together. “Ooh for Avatar stuff?”

“Yeah, but I worry they won’t take me as seriously this way.”

“Mmm, that’s just ridiculous. You’re the Avatar seated or standing. I think you need to give yourself a little credit, you mean more than what you can physically do. Think about, like the elderly Avatars, were they disrespected because they weren’t as strong as they used to be? You’re only human.”

Korra nodded and bowed her head down. Xaiver put a hand on her shoulder and gave it a little squeeze.

“And I know that. Believe me, I had a major lesson on the subject… I guess I just have never had to put it to practice.”

Xaiver crouched back down to Korra’s eye level. “You should go to Ba Sing Se and show them nothing can keep you from important Avatar business! We can even send you off with a copy of your medical file and recommend a treatment plan!”


Korra smiled. “I’d appreciate that.”

***

Prince Wu rapped his fingers on the armrest of his chair as he stared down at his phone. He wanted to give Mako a call, just to see how he was doing. They hadn’t spoken since Mako left. There was no reason why Wu couldn’t just pick up the phone and call him, they were friends, after all, right? Friends call each other on the phone to see how they are doing. But, Mako wasn’t that kind of person.

Wu wasn’t even sure why he wanted to talk to Mako now of all times. Wu shook his head. That was a lie, he knew. Tu never contacted him yesterday after they briefed Suyin on the magazine. Only with Tu’s absence did Wu notice how much time they had been spending together. They had been joined at the hip since Mako’s departure. It was becoming clear to Wu that he was not very good at being alone.

Tu, in many ways, was better company than Mako. Tu talked without having it dragged out of him. They shared an interest in fashion and food. Tu was appreciative of Wu picking up the tab most of the time, without making him feel like he was being used in any way. He knew Tu would pay more if he could, but he was one of the few financial supporters of such a large family. Tu’s giving nature was inspiring. It made Wu want to do more himself.

Had he blown it with Tu, Wu wondered? That wasn’t fair, he didn’t do anything wrong. The article was going to make its way to Tu and the rest of Ba Sing Se eventually. When Wu saw it, he was a bit relieved to have a conversation starter about the subject matter. Wu hadn’t tried to hide his preferences, but he did make a point to acknowledge women he found attractive around Tu.

Wu let out a long sigh. It just wasn’t going to work out between them. Better to accept that now. Hopefully, Tu hadn’t figured out his attraction to him.

Wu reached for the phone, determined. “I’ll give Tu a call, pretend everything’s normal and hopefully we can just return to the way things were.”
It rang a few times before someone picked up. An elderly woman’s voice answered on the other end. “Hello?”

“Grandma Yin, it’s Wu.”

“Ooh!” Yin said with a squeak. “Prince Wu! What an honor to have you call!”

Wu felt his cheeks flush. “Is Tu around?”

“No dear, he hasn’t come back from closing up the fruit stand with his father.”

“Oh,” Wu sighed. Whatever courage he had mustered started to drain from him.

“Want me to tell him you called?”

Wu hesitated.

Yin didn’t wait for an answer. “I’ll let him know. You are both making me so proud of the work you are doing in the government. Thank you for making my grandson a part of it. Maybe he could get a good government job someday?”

“I will take care of him; don’t you worry Grandma Yin.”

“I know you will.”

Wu could feel her warm smile through the receiver. It brought one to his own lips.

“Then, you’ll just need to find some nice girls and settle down! I’ve got some lovely granddaughters if you want to officially join our family,” Grandma Yin said with a chuckle.

Wu’s smile fell slightly.

“I will let Tu know you called. Have a good evening Prince Wu.”

***

The business card from Shey led Bolin to an office building not too far from Little Ba Sing Se. The whole building wasn’t theirs, just a small basement office.

Eventually, he was facing the door. On it was a plaque that said, “City Streets Productions.” Bolin knocked on the door and it was answered by a mousy young woman who blushed as it registered who was standing in front of her.

“Bolin!” she squeaked.

Bolin rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. “Hi-uh?”

“Goodness, I’m sorry! My name is Lan. I operate the camera and I’m a big, big fan of your work.”

Bolin relaxed a little and held out his hand. “Nice to meet you.”

Lan reached out a shaky hand and placed it in Bolin’s.

“Is that Bolin?” Shey asked, moving towards the door.

Lan could only muster another squeaking sound in response.

Shey pulled the door the rest of the way open to see Lan was still holding onto
Bolin’s hand. She rolled her eyes and motioned Bolin inside the room. “Please come in.”

Bolin started to move, so Lan finally released his hand and trailed behind him and Shey back into the office.

It wasn’t very impressive inside, just utilitarian. There was a meeting table in the middle of the room, and then lining the walls was equipment and boxes that
Bolin assumed were filled with more equipment or reels. The far-left corner was curtained off with thick dark fabric for developing the film.

This wasn’t going to be a Varrick Industries Production, Bolin thought to himself. But maybe this would be better. Varrick was all about style and no substance. The lifestyle was great in many ways, but he lost a lot of his friends and especially his brother’s respect during that time. This was a chance to be an actor with something worthy to say.

At the table, the third crew member Izzi was already seated and Lan sat down in one of the other two free chairs at the table. Shey motioned Bolin to the last free chair and then started clearing off a fourth that was at the table. It was obvious that the chair hadn’t been sat in for quite some time considering the layers of random equipment resting on it.

Bolin sat down and folded his hands together. “I wanted to come by and tell you all I accept the role.”

Shey shoved the last item off the fourth chair and enthusiastically sat down. “Amazing! We are all so excited!”

Bolin looked to the other two women to confirm their enthusiasm. They both appeared to be beaming as well.

“The Bolin has agreed to star in one of our movers! Your name will bring prestige to the project!” Lan said with her hands firmly clasped together.

“It really will,” Shey agreed.

Bolin blushed and batted a hand at Shey. “Oh please, I’m not that big of a deal anymore.”

“This could elevate all our careers,” Izzi chimed in. “So, what did you think of the script?”

“Great stuff,” Bolin said, pulling out the script he had tucked in the back of his pants and sliding it onto the table. “Who-ah, who’s playing the second leading man, Lao Gong?”

Shey steepled her fingers. “I was waiting to see if you were going to sign onto the project first. I want to find an actor you have good chemistry with. Believing you two are a couple is going to be the most important aspect of this mover. People have to believe you are in love so they can sympathize with you.”

“Well, it’s a good thing I’m getting married. If this is going to be as convincing as you say.” Bolin grinned and scratched at his cheek. “Sure you don’t want to just change the story to two women? You could just have Korra and Asami play the lovers.” As soon as the words were out, Bolin’s eyes widened in horror as he went over what he just said.

Izzi and Lan’s eyes also bugged out, their faces turning white. Bolin and the other two dared a look at Shey, whose expression was remarkably one of stone.

Bolin bowed his head. “I’m sorry, that was, really dumb. “

Shey let out a long breath. “Don’t apologize, why would that-”

“No, it was,” Bolin started interrupting Shey. “We should clear the air about this if we are going to work together. I know your history with Asami. I was starting to wonder if maybe something had been up based on our interactions. Then she saw I was reading one of your scripts last night and she told me the truth.”

Izzi and Lan relaxed a little bit back into their chairs but kept their gaze locked on Shey, whose face was still impossible to read.

“The truth…” Shey murmured. “I feel like I didn’t quite get that from her…”

Bolin puffed up his cheeks with air then blew it out making his lips flap, sounding not unlike an ostrich horse. He looked to Izzi and Lan, who were choosing to remain silent.

In his mind, Bolin weighed the pros and cons. Should he tell Asami’s truth to Shey as a sign of good faith between them? Was it his place to speak on Asami’s behalf, would that be betraying her trust? Did he even know the whole truth? Would the truth actually help?

“No, I don’t think you quite did,” Bolin said, settling on agreeing with Shey. “I asked Asami for permission to work with you and she has no objections. I guess I need to extend you the same courtesy?”

“Avatar Korra won’t be coming around all the time, will she?”

Bolin shrugged. “I don’t think so, she’s pretty stuck on Air Temple Island at the moment.”

“Then it should be fine,” Shey replied, crossing her arms. She paused and shifted in her chair. “No, it is fine. I don’t hold any ill-will toward Asami or Avatar Korra for that matter. I’m a professional.”

Bolin, Lan, and Izzi all physically relaxed as Shey spoke. Just as they let down their guard Shey slapped her hands on the table, grasping the sides. She jumped out of her chair, knocking it over behind her.

“It was just so weird! Everything was going great. I was even going to meet her ‘chosen’ family and then she just suddenly cancels the plans and breaks up with me! I thought maybe she got cold feet about coming out, but clearly, that is not an issue for her!” When she was done Shey smoothed back her hair. “I’m sorry, it’s just a fresh wound again.”

Lan and Izzi shrunk back down in their seats.

“I know how crappy it feels to lose romantically to someone,” Bolin said with an awkward chuckle. “I had a big crush on Korra when I met her, but she liked my brother Mako. Mako was dating Asami at the time, then he cheated on Asami with Korra. Then cheated on Korra with Asami. Then Korra and Asami started dating each other…”

“Asami never mentioned all of that.” Shey narrowed her eyes. “What’s with you people?”

Bolin leaned back in his seat and considered her words. He looked up at the ceiling, thinking back to when he, Korra and Mako were all pro-bending. It felt like a lifetime ago. All the fronting, cockiness and hormones. “We were teenagers back then. Messy, messy teenagers…”

“I think that’s relatable,” Lan offered.

“Right? Who wasn’t a mess at some point in their life?” Bolin said back to Lan with a grin.

***

That evening on Air Temple Island, Korra, Asami, Bolin, and Opal were hanging outside by the gazebo with Jinora, Ikki and Meelo. Bolin, Asami, Ikki, and Meelo were engaged in some sort of dice game, while the other three chose just to watch.

Bolin dramatically shook a knitted satchel containing dice and poured them out onto a large square piece of colorfully decorated leather laid out on the stone pavement. The two children leaned down to inspect the roll.

Meelo pointed to four of the six of the dice. “Bolin, that means you have to give Ikki five of your chips now.”

“Really?”

“She bet correctly on your roll,” Meelo said, now pointing at Ikki’s game pieces.
Ikki held out her hand. “Pay up.”

“You little grifters! Asami, I’m starting to think they’re making up rules because we’ve never played this game before.”

Asami touched her modest pile of colorful chips. “I don’t know, I’m doing pretty well.”

Tenzin approached the group. “Are you playing that gambling dice game Bumi brought back from the United Forces?”

“It’s fun Dad,” Meelo moaned. “Besides, we’re not playing for real money.”

“I am very relieved by that fact,” Bolin said, chiming in.

“Korra and Opal, could I speak with you for a moment?” Tenzin asked.

The two looked at each other, before nodding to Tenzin. Opal got up from her seat and moved behind Korra’s wheelchair. Meelo intensely watched as Tenzin turned and led the girls a few yards away from the group.

“Meelo, it’s your turn now,” Ikki said, dropping the dice sack in front of her brother.

Meelo ignored Ikki and kept watching where Korra, Opal and his father were walking to.

“Meelo-” Ikki nagged.

“Calm down, I’ll roll in a second!” Meelo barked.

“You can’t possibly hear what they are saying.”

“Hey, now guys no need to get-” Bolin started but was quickly cut off and shouted over.

“Doesn’t it bother you that Dad never lets us do anything anymore?” Meelo snapped his head to look at Ikki beside him.

“That’s not true,” Jinora scolded from her seat on the Gazebo.

“Shut up Jinora. You’re Dad’s favorite. You get to do whatever you want.”

“Hey!” Ikki whined.

Bolin shot Asami a helpless look. She mirrored one back to him before looking between the children. Before she could think of anything to say, Meelo got up and followed after his father.

***

Once out of earshot, Tenzin spoke. “Opal, I think it might be getting near time you go and check-in with Kai and the boys over in the Earth Kingdom. I spoke with your mother and she made me aware of the continued imbalance of funds and support some of the smaller states are dealing with.”

“She hasn’t seen the group of airbenders?”

“If they are doing their job, they would be spending little time in Ba Sing Se,” Tenzin replied.

Opal let out a sigh. “True.”

“Is something going on with my Mom? Seems she’s been scheming on the phone with everyone but me.”

Tenzin gave a slight nod. “Suyin is planning some political maneuvers. I don’t know if she has discussed any of them with the rest of your family, but she is planning on pushing for electing a president of the Earth Kingdom and will be running for that position.”

“Hold up. You remember the stink she made when that position was offered to her a few years ago?” Opal asked, looking between the other two. “What’s suddenly changed her mind?”

"I think the fear of another Kuvira-like figure seizing power. It appears corruption is still rampant in the capital,” Tenzin replied.

“I can see her feeling some guilt over what happened with Kuvira, but that was no one’s fault. Kuvira made her own decision to not turn back over her temporary power.” Opal slumped. “And what does Wu think? Does this fall in line with dismantling the monarchy?”

“I spoke to him as well; he agrees with her position. The states will still run mostly independently but having one central figure in power can help curb major imbalances. It is a gamble though, because whoever ends up being elected could be corrupt themselves. I would prefer Suyin to be the first president and set the standard. I trust her desire to do right by the Earth Kingdom, which is why I think it would help tremendously if you went to the Earth Kingdom to help support her, Korra.”

Korra nodded. “I was coming to that conclusion myself.”

“So, you want me to escort Korra to Ba Sing Se and then go check in on the boys?”

“Precisely.”

“It’s going to be just the two of us though,” Korra said with a sigh. “Bolin can’t go since he agreed to do the mover. Asami needs to stay here to oversee her mansion's reconstruction and to avoid being in the politics I’m involved in.”

“And Mako is missing in action,” Opal added.

“Should we bring Jinora?”

“No, I would prefer she stay here,” Tenzin replied swiftly. “But you could bring Zhou Rhen, he is your advisor after all.”

Korra wrinkled her nose. “I don’t want to take Jinora’s apprentice away from her... He can stay here.”

“I insist, take Zhou Rhen. I need Jinora to focus on some other things.”

“I think Jinora should be allowed to come along if she wants…” Korra muttered.

“Alright Korra, guess we’ve got marching orders. When are we pulling up anchor?”

“Opal that analogy doesn’t make sense, you’re starting to sound like Bolin-” Korra started but was interrupted by Meelo.

“Dad, let me go with Korra and Opal!”

The three turned to the young boy. No one had noticed he had joined them. Behind the boy, they could see Asami, Bolin, Ikki, and Jinora staring.

“No Meelo, you are staying here.”

“C’mon Dad, I’m ready to do something to actually help,” the young airbender said, standing up as straight as he could, puffing out his chest.

Tenzin straightened up his posture, making him loom even higher over his son.

“You are too young for the mission.”

“But I wasn’t too young to go off with my sisters to find Korra?”

Tenzin slouched, exasperated. “How many times do I have to remind you, that was in a time of crisis and you had Jinora with you.”

Meelo stomped his foot. “I’d be with Korra and Opal; don’t you trust them?”

“They will be too busy to look after you. I will likely be going over there soon and when I go, I will take you with me.”

“But you’re going for like, political stuff, that’s boring.”

Tenzin gestured to Korra. “That is what Korra is going for. Sometimes the fight is not done by bending, but by words. You need to learn how to fight both ways.”

“Fine!” Meelo stormed off. “I don’t need your permission to do something great!”

“Meelo wait! What about our game?” Ikki cried out.

“I’m sick of games!” he snapped back.

Ikki’s face scrunched up in anger. “Don’t be such a brat!”

Meelo didn’t stick around the courtyard long. A burst of air sent him into the evening sky. The breeze scattered the small colorful chips from where they rested on the game mat.

“Aww, I was just starting to catch up…” Bolin moaned looking down at his where his pile of chips once lay.

“I mean, we could probably take him and it would be fine…” Korra tentatively started.

“No, he should stay here. Those were dire times when I let my children into the fray, but we now have plenty of capable adult airbenders to answer the call.”

“I think he just wants to be included,” Korra offered.

“His focus should be mastering his element.”

“Speaking of, how close am I?” Opal asked, leaning towards Tenzin. He cleared his throat and started to walk in the direction Meelo took off in.
“I need to go see if I can track down my son.”

Opal and Korra watched Tenzin leave with a swoop of his robes. Opal took Korra’s wheelchair’s handlebars and moved to push her back to the group at the gazebo.

***
Despite her intentions to get Korra back to her apartment to sleep, Asami found herself settling in for the night in Korra’s room in the dorms.

“Do you think it would be terribly rude if I had a new mattress delivered for us?” Asami asked as she began unlacing her boots.

Korra, who had gotten into bed first, thought for a moment. “Maybe? Something wrong with mine?”

“You’re kidding, right? You don’t find it dreadfully uncomfortable?”

“It’s a little firm but…”

Asami let out a sigh. “Never mind then.”

“I mean, if you did it discreetly, no one needs to know.”

Asami sat down on the foot of the bed. “Maybe just some sort of extra padding we could lay on top of it. That would be easier to smuggle in, could even use your leg as the excuse…”

“Don’t go roping me in on this,” Korra muttered, pulling the covers up a little higher on her chest.

“Which bed is more comfortable, mine or yours?”

“Yours…It’s roomier too…”

Asami smiled satisfied. “I’ll see what I can get us tomorrow.” Instead of moving into the bed beside Korra, Asami stayed at the foot and fidgeted with her hands. “So… something happened at work today, but I don’t want you to worry.”

Korra cocked her head. “Okay…”

“Someone vandalized the outside of my office building with paint…”

“What did it say?”

Asami let out a breath. “Dyke Industries.”

“That’s horrible!” Korra said with a scowl.

Asami patted Korra’s uninjured leg. “My staff were able to clean it up by lunchtime.”

“Are you okay?”

“Yes,” Asami said with a heavy sigh. “They’re just words...”

“Any idea who wrote them?”

“No.”

Korra fidgeted with the handful of the blanket in her lap for a moment. “Shiro Shinobi is airing a show tomorrow with feedback from the citizens about our article. I was feeling pretty assured no one would say anything negative, but now…”

“I know,” Asami whispered, scooting back so she was in bed beside Korra.

“Nothing anyone could say would change how I feel about you.”

“Pema told me a similar sentiment. She said everyone loves us, no matter what.”
Korra looked down at her hands, still clenched in the fabric. She loosened her grasp, letting the blanket slump on her. She turned to look at Asami beside her. “It’s just so frustrating. No one else’s relationship is up for debate! I just don’t understand what the big deal is. We’re no different.”

Asami pressed her forehead to Korra’s. “No, we’re not.”

Korra closed her eyes and leaned into the contact.

** The next day**

The sun had just about reached as high as it was going to get that day, sometime shortly after eleven. Meelo crept out across the courtyard with his brother Rohan in tow.

“Alright little bro, I know you have this in you, we just got to tease it out,” Meelo said quietly to Rohan as he carried him behind the wind gates. He swiveled his head around to make sure no one else was around. “Gotta have silence to concentrate.”

Meelo pulled a small old-looking book out from his satchel and flipped to a section he had marked with a feather. He removed the feather and handed it to Rohan. The toddler happily took it and began to wave it around. Meelo observed his brother for a few minutes before reaching into the satchel to pull out a small toy. He put it in front of Rohan but he continued to play with the feather.

Meelo referred to the book in front of him. “An Airbender will have a preference for items associated with air. Generate a breeze, the Airbender will close their eyes and embrace it. Do it long enough and they should not be able to help themselves and start to bend it back to you.”

Meelo removed a fan from the satchel, unfolded it and started to wave it at his brother. Rohan giggled as the breeze hit his face. Meelo fanned his brother for a few minutes, but all he did was giggle at it. Meelo put down the fan and conjured some of the air around them to blow at Rohan a little harder. The stronger breeze knocked the feather from Rohan’s grip and it started to blow into the cluster wind gates. Rohan cried out and chased after the feather. Meelo stopped bending air and observed his brother.

Rohan clumsily followed the feather as it darted between two wind gates. He called out to it in his garbled toddler speak. “Fweather com bwak!”

Rohan dipped out of Meelo’s line of sight, so the older boy had to get up from his seat and follow his brother into the gates. “Rohan, come back,” Meelo called out as he darted between the gates. He could hear Rohan’s little voice, so he wasn’t worried, he just wanted to be able to see what was happening. Suddenly a single gate started to spin. Meelo stopped and watched it go. Rohan stepped out from behind it, the feather in hand. Meelo bent down to eye level. “Rohan, did you do this?”

The toddler giggled in response and waved the feather around like he was making it fly. Meelo furrowed his brow and got back up. He went back to the book and began flipping through it until he found a page to stop on. “Airbenders can be very coy if all tests fail to give you confident results. There is a last resort true test…”

Meelo thought for a moment. The true test made him nervous, but he was so close to unlocking Rohan’s airbending, he could feel it.

Meelo tucked his hands under Rohan’s armpits and hoisted him off the ground. He pulled him up and then eased him back down. Rohan giggled as he was lifted over and over again.

“Okay, Rohan I need you to catch yourself. I’m going to lift you up,” Meelo said as he raised his brother once more just a foot off the ground. “And then I’m gonna let go and you’re gonna use the air to catch you.”

Meelo lifted Rohan two feet off the ground and then pulled his hands swiftly out from under Rohan’s armpits. The toddler fell to the ground but landed soundly on his feet. He appeared a bit stunned for a second, but then let out another round of giggles. He raised his arms back up anticipating Meelo would raise him again. Meelo obliged, lifting him a little higher and dropping Rohan again. Each time the small boy was able to land on his feet, bending his knees each time a little bit more due to the increased impact.

“C’mon Rohan I know you have it in you,” Meelo urged giving his brother a little shake.

***
Inside the temple, Ikki was watching her mother and Korra prepare lunch. The young girl was slumped on at the table, elbows out, hands holding up her chin.

Pema scooped up a spoon full of pan-fried vegetables and poured them onto two of the many rolled-out circles of dough in front of her. She slid one circle of dough in front of Korra, who was seated beside her. She then picked up the other dough circle and pinched it closed around the mash of veggies.

“Now Korra, press your thumb into the dough and pinch the dough around your thumb together and move it to the side. Then you keep doing this until you close the hole.”

Korra attempted to do what Pema said with shaky hands.

“This is a great meal for kids. Easy to make and easy to eat,” Pema said with a smile. She shot a wink to Ikki, who stuck her tongue out in return.

“Perfect for all those children I don’t have,” Korra said sarcastically.

“Perhaps someday, you never know... Till then you can make it for Asami and impress her with your newly acquired culinary skills.”

Korra chuckled. “Asami makes the dough and I fold it into little buns.”

Pema leaned over to inspect Korra’s work. “Those folds are kind of big, you’ll only get three or four and it will just look like a bindle.”

“Mmm steamed bindles, my favorite,” Ikki said from the sideline.

“How about being a help and go find all of your siblings and tell them it’s time for lunch?” Pema asked. “Jinora should be meditating with Zhou Rhen and Meelo is watching Rohan somewhere outside.”

Ikki pulled herself up off the table and sighed. “Surprise, surprise, Jinora is hanging out with her boyfriend.”

Pema nearly dropped the bun she was closing. “He isn’t actually, is he?”

Korra let out a nervous chuckle. “She’s kidding Pema, I hope.”

“Okay good. Zhou Rhen is far too old for her. That would not be appropriate,” Pema replied, slapping down the finished bun and reaching for the spoon again.

“Don’t worry, no one is dating outside their age range,” Ikki muttered as she slinked out of the kitchen.

Pema stopped her cooking and looked up just to catch her daughter leaving. “No one else better be dating, period!”

Once outside, Ikki looked around for signs of any of her siblings. She could make out two forms in the gazebo, confirming her mother’s assumption about Jinora’s location, so she decided to take on the harder task of locating her brothers first.

“Meeeeeelooo, Rohaaaaan it’s time for lunch!” Ikki cried out as she strolled around the grounds of the temple. “Where the heck did they go?”

As if they heard her, Meelo flew out from the trees. Ikki heard the rustle of the branches and instinctively looked up. Above her was Meelo, which was no surprise, but hanging from him was Rohan. Meelo was holding Rohan under the armpits and the toddler had his arms stretched out like he was flying too. She could faintly hear his little giggle as they soared through the sky.

“Meelo it’s time for lunch! Get down here,” Ikki called out.

“In a minute, we just really started to make some progress.”

Ikki cocked her head. “What are you talking about?”

“Rohan’s airbending!” Meelo shouted back.

“Rohan doesn’t bend yet, what are you talking about?” Ikki asked, her head still bent to the sky as she followed them around.

“I think I saw him move a wind gate. Look how he takes to the air, he’s a natural.”

“You’re making me nervous. Bring him down, you’ve made your point!”

“Wait watch this!” Meelo cried out. “Do Benderman!”

At Meelo’s command, Rohan kicked his legs out straight, making his torso parallel to the ground. He now really looked like he was flying with Meelo. Rohan’s little body couldn’t hold the plank-like pose long and his legs and torso swung back down. The inertia pulled his armpits from Meelo’s grip and Rohan fell towards the ground below.

Ikki saw Rohan’s little body hurtle towards the ground and let out a scream. For a few seconds, she was in shock, unable to move, only able to watch her brother fall. Then her legs began moving before her brain caught up towards the direction of Rohan.

Meelo felt his brother slip but was not quick enough to grab him before he was instantly feet below him. Then Meelo tucked in all his limbs to speed down after his brother’s falling form. Neither he nor Ikki was fast enough. Rohan’s small body collided with the hard stone of the temple courtyard.

When Ikki saw her brother’s body make contact she pivoted and ran back towards the house screaming her mother’s name. Meelo followed his flight path down to Rohan.

Jinora, who was deep in meditation, heard her sister scream. Her eyes popped open and she looked around for Ikki.

Zhou Rhen, who was beside her, opened his eyes as well. “Did you hear that?”

“Yeah, that sounded like Ikki.”

Zhou Rhen felt around for his glasses “It sounded bad.”

Jinora quickly pulled herself up and began to run back towards the main temple building. Zhou Rhen far less gracefully rose from his seat and stumbled after her. In less than a minute they were in the courtyard. There they found Meelo crouched over a small body. Zhou Rhen stopped, but Jinora kept running towards them. At the same time came Pema. They both reached Meelo and Rohan at the same time.

At the sight of his mother, Meelo’s eyes welled with tears. “It was an accident! It was an accident!” He moaned over and over.

Pema’s hands shook as they hovered over Rohan’s body. Unsure if even touching the small boy would cause more harm than good.

Knowing there was nothing she could do for Rohan, Jinora turned to Meelo. She pressed her hands to Meelo’s shoulders and gave him a shove. “What did you do?” she commanded.

“It was an accident!” Meelo cried back, slapping Jinora’s hands away.

“Children please!” Pema moaned.

Jinora pursed her lips and shoved Meelo again. “Go get Dad!”

Meelo violently shook his head. No sooner did Jinora tell Meelo to go, Ikki appeared sprinting from the building with their father and uncle Bumi. Trailing behind them were a few acolytes. One had a medical bag, the others were carrying blankets.

“Why don’t you children come over here with me?” Bumi asked, wrapping his arm around Ikki and Meelo. “You too Jinora.” The three obeyed but kept their eyes fixed on the spot where Rohan landed. He was now obscured by the backs of their father and acolytes.

Two of the acolytes unrolled a blanket beside Rohan’s small body and the one with the medical bag gingerly picked up the small boy and transferred him to the blanket. The acolytes grasped their end of the blanket and hoisted Rohan up and then started to shuffle in the direction of the docks. The acolyte with the medical bag kept pace beside them, while Tenzin and Pema trailed closely behind. Another acolyte appeared from the steps down to the docks and flagged them.

“The boat is ready!” They cried out as they waved.

In minutes they were all to the dock and loaded onto a boat. The captain sounded the boat’s horn a few loud and long times as they sped out of port.

After they were all gone, Korra appeared in the courtyard in her wheelchair, her forehead drenched with sweat. “Frickin’ ramps,” she muttered to herself. She looked around to see the courtyard empty except for Bumi with the three other children, and Zhou Rhen keeping his distance near the other side of the building. She let out a tired sigh and wheeled herself towards the group.

Korra was about to ask what happened but Ikki threw herself into her lap, wrapping her small arms around her neck.

“Oh Korra, he’s going to die, I know it.” Ikki moaned.

Jinora followed behind Ikki, not into the chair but grasped the other two for comfort.

Korra’s eyes widened and she looked to Bumi and Meelo. Meelo’s face was violently pressed into Bumi’s side, his hands clutching the fabric of his uncle’s bodysuit.

“I need to get the boy out of here,” Bumi started, breaking his silence. “You can tell Tenzin he is with me. Let him know I will be in touch soon.”

“Bumi, I don’t know if that’s such a good idea…” Korra warned.

“When something like this happens, its best people don’t talk until they’ve had some time to calm down.” Bumi put a hand on Meelo’s shoulder and gave him a shake. “C’mon Meelo, we need to go.”

Meelo shook his head and continued to cling.

“No discussion. We’ve got to be brave now.”

Meelo let go of his uncle and gave him a weak nod. He looked back to his sisters, they were still draped over Korra and her wheelchair.

Free from his nephew’s grasp, Bumi took the opportunity to shoot into the air.

“I’m sorry,” Meelo muttered to the girls before joining Bumi in the sky.

To be continued…

Chapter 41: The Fallout

Notes:

Thank you TheToasterMarketingBoard for editing during these dark times! Happy June Ya'll!

Chapter Text

Korra, Ikki, and Jinora stayed where they were in the courtyard long after Bumi and Meelo had left. At some point, Jinora had crept into the wheelchair and onto Korra’s lap with Ikki. Korra’s legs were starting to fall asleep from the two girl’s body weight, but she was afraid to disturb them. They had been quiet for some time now.

The sound of soft footsteps caught Korra’s attention, and she attempted to look over Jinora’s head to see who was coming. It was Zhou Rhen. Korra had seen him lurking in the courtyard when she wheeled herself out after the commotion. He had kept his distance, until now. He gave a small wave as he arrived. Korra nodded back.

“Perhaps we should go inside, have some lunch? I don’t think they will be back until this evening, if at all,” Zhou Rhen offered, pressing his falling glasses up his narrow nose.

“What do you girls think?” Korra asked, giving the girls a squeeze. “We can talk about things, or not, over some food.”

Ikki made a wet sniffling sound as she slid out of Korra’s lap. She put her foot accidentally on Korra’s broken leg. The Avatar did all she could to stifle a pain-filled groan. Jinora then got off her lap much more carefully. Then she grabbed Korra’s wheelchair’s handlebars and started pushing her to the main hall.

As the four traveled together, Ikki stopped and bent down. She picked up a small book. “Whose book is this?” she asked.

“Let me see.” Zhou Rhen held out his hand. Ikki passed it over. “This looks old. Very old.”

The girls continued towards the entrance as Zhou Rhen gave the book a closer examination. He looked up, unsure how long he had been reading, but by then they were out of sight.

***
Jinora parked Korra at the kitchen table, near where she and Pema had been folding steam buns earlier. The buns were now neatly plated and ready to be served.

“C’mon girls, let’s have a little something to eat,” Korra said, taking a bun off the big plate.

“I’m not hungry…” Jinora sighed.

“Me neither,” Ikki added.

“I don’t have much of an appetite myself, but it’s important you stay fueled up. At least have one with me,” Korra urged.

The girls obeyed and each snagged a bun. After a few nibbles, Zhou Rhen wandered into the kitchen.

“So, what exactly happened?” he asked the group.

Korra shot him a look, but it was too late; the topic had been brought up.

Jinora turned to her sister. “You saw, didn’t you?”

Ikki put her half-eaten bun on the table in front of her, then dropped her face into her hands.

“It’s okay Ikki, you don’t have to say anything right now if you don’t-” Korra started.

“He dropped Rohan.”

“Like, Meelo picked him up and dropped him?” Jinora asked, mimicking the action with her food.

“Meelo was flying with him and... What if he dies? What if he’s dead!?” Ikki wailed, scrunching her arms around her face and slumped down in her seat.

“Why was he flying with him…” Korra muttered to herself.

“I think I might know why,” Zhou Rhen offered, pulling the small book found earlier from his pocket and placing it onto the table. “This is an old Fire Nation book on how to test if someone is an airbender. It must have been written during the one-hundred-year war.”

Zhou Rhen opened the front cover and pointed down towards the bottom of the first page where there was a fire emblem and a date. “This was printed by the government during that period.”

Jinora pulled the book closer to her. “It’s probably my father’s. He has a collection of old books, especially ones pertaining to airbending. A lot were Grandpa Aang’s.”

“Your brother could have been trying to utilize some of these techniques to induce Roahns’s ability to airbend. Bending and the fight or flight instinct have been cited to be linked.” Zhou Rhen flipped through the pages of the book still shared on the table. “This section here notes that if you want to confirm a known airbender’s ability, putting them in a life or death situation is sure to get them to bend. The bending will be reactionary to attempt to save their life.”

Ikki lifted her head off the table. “He didn’t drop Rohan on purpose. He was just flying with him, showing off.” She held out her arms like a bird to the group.
“When Rohan spread his arms like this, he slipped. He just fell so fast. Meelo tried!”

“Meelo wanted to get Rohan to airbend…” Korra murmured, then covered her mouth. Suddenly it felt like she had swallowed a brick and it was slowly pressing on her guts. “But Rohan…” Korra stopped herself.

***
Down in the basement of City Streets Productions’ office, Bolin, Shey, Izzi, and Lan were taking a meeting. A few containers of takeout were strewn about the table mixed with paper and pens.

Lan moved her glasses to the top of her head and brought her notepad a little closer to her face. “So we have; looking for male, about eighteen to twenty-eight, some acting experience preferred, for a major role in a feature-length mover. Casting will be held Friday at City Streets Productions, at the Fushang Business Plaza.”

“Should we give some kind of descriptors, like hair color or height?” Izzi asked.

“Shey, you said you’d know what kind of man you wanted if Bolin confirmed.”

“As long as he is not more handsome than me,” Bolin said, wiggling his eyebrows.

Lan giggled and started to write on her notes. “We could say handsome, but not too handsome.”

“Hold it,” Shey said as her head swiveled to the door. “Do you hear that?”

“That kind of sounds like Opal,” Bolin said, getting up from his chair. “She knows I’m here, but we were gonna meet back at the temple later…”

Bolin opened the door but no one was there. Then he heard Opal call his name.

“Opal? I’m over here!” he called out down the basement hallway.

“Bolin!” Opal answered back, her voice closer. “There has been an accident at the temple!”

Opal found Bolin standing in the doorway of Shey’s studio. Shey and her colleagues were now peeking out behind Bolin.

“Damn, she is beautiful…” Lan murmured to Izzi.

Izzi gave her a friendly pat on the shoulder. “Time to give up your dream of breaking up that relationship.”

“An accident, is Korra okay?” Bolin asked, dashing out to meet Opal once he could see her.

Opal shook her head. She took a few deep breaths, a bit winded from running around in search of her fiancé. “No, she’s fine. Little Rohan is badly hurt. He’s at the hospital. We should be there.”

Bolin nodded. “Let’s go.” He turned back to the other women. “I trust your judgment. Let me know what time you want me to come back for the casting auditions on Friday.”

“We will,” Shey agreed with a weak smile.

***
When Korra felt like it was safe to leave the girls alone for a few minutes she wheeled herself to the phone room. With a shaky hand, she dialed Asami’s office number, which she had smartly written down in the phone list not too long ago.

“Asami Sato’s office,” Kali said cheerily into the receiver.

“Hi, uh is Asami there?” Korra said, wilting at how meek she sounded.

“Can I ask who’s calling?”

Korra cleared her throat, hoping to find some strength. “Korra.”

“Oh, my goodness, I’m so sorry Avatar Korra! I’ll patch you right through.”

“Korra,” Asami breathed. “Sorry about that. I told Kali to screen my calls-”

“Asami something bad happened. Rohan had an accident. He’s at the hospital. I’m here at the temple watching Jinora and Ikki. Can you leave work early and see what’s going on?”

“Of course. You have Ikki and Jinora, where is Meelo?”

“Bumi took him….”

“I’ll go to the hospital right now. I will come to the temple after. You all just hang tight.”

“Okay, love you.”

“I love you too Korra,” Asami said, unable to stop the smile that spread on her face with those words. She hung up and moved to get her bag.

***
After the call with Asami, Korra began the journey back to the kitchen. Her wrists were a bit sore from her sprint to the courtyard earlier. She mentally reminded herself she would benefit in the long run for the upper body workout she was getting while in this chair.

“Hurry Korra, the show is almost back from the commercial break!” Ikki cried out down the hall.

“Come give me a push then,” Korra hollered back. She relaxed in her wheelchair as she heard the thumping of Ikki’s bare feet on the wooden floor. Ikki got Korra back into the dining room right as Shiro Shinobi’s voice came back on the speakers.

“Welcome back to the show! I just wanted to thank our sponsors again for supporting this broadcast. Now I am going to wrap up the show with some of the listener feedback calls I received yesterday afternoon. Here we go!”

The broadcast went silent for a moment as it switched over to the recorded calls. Korra took a deep breath and held it as she waited for the segment to start. She really wasn’t in the mood for any more bad news to happen, but she had to take advantage of this rare opportunity to hear what her peers honestly thought.

“Hi Shiro,” an elderly-sounding man started, breaking the long silence.

“Welcome to the show,” Shiro replied. “So, what do you think about Avatar Korra and Asami Sato’s relationship announcement?”

“Well, I wanted to call in and say what two people do together is nobody’s business but theirs. So I don't see why they felt the need to broadcast this information to all of Republic City. Little awkward if I do say so myself.”

“So you think maybe they should have just kept it between themselves?”

“I would argue that, but considering who they are, that might have been difficult to hide. Then what, as time went on and these two lovely women never got married, people would start to wonder, wouldn’t they? I guess that is the real shame of it, people like them aren’t entitled to privacy.”

“Public job, public life. Thank you for calling in.”

The sound of lines disconnecting clicked over the radio into the room. Korra relaxed a bit into her wheelchair. That conversation wasn’t unlike what they discussed with Asami’s public relations team. No matter how much they would ruminate on it, they always concluded it would get out somehow and they’d be in the same position, but worse. Plus, the secrecy would have been exhausting. Not that this coming out process wasn’t getting old to Korra. All this poking and prodding into their personal lives made her ache for their Spirit World vacation, when it was just them and some spirits. That was the frustrating beauty of spirits, they didn’t care about humans.

“Hi Shiro, long time listener, first-time caller,” a middle-aged female voice started.

“Thank you for calling in,” Shiro replied.

“I just think it’s so brave of Avatar Korra and Miss Sato to come forward. I wish more politicians would be honest about their relationships. How many backdoor dealings are going on without us the public any the wiser?”

“Valid point. So no issue with them being both women?”

“No. Some people are just that way and who am I or anyone else to judge. I think it’s wonderful that they were able to find each other. I have a step-daughter who can’t seem to find a girlfriend herself.”

“So this is a bit of a personal issue for you?” Shiro pressed.

“I guess you could say it is, thank you for putting on this broadcast. I hope to hear only good things Shiro.”

The line went dead, leaving Shiro’s response either off the program or he never did say anything back to the woman. Korra smiled all the same at the woman’s words. Would her mother ever get to that level of comfort she wondered?

Jinora shot Korra a thumbs up. Korra nodded and returned the gesture.

Shiro chimed in again. “Alright, next caller, welcome to the show.”

“Hi there, this is Tang calling in. I thought it was a publicity stunt when I first read the article, but these girls are serious aren’t they?”

“I believe they are sir.”

“Hehe, well I don’t quite get it, but I hope everyone here has the decency to treat them with respect.”

“Agreed, thank you for calling in.”

“Hi Shiro Shinobi,” a woman’s voice said, a bit tentatively.

Korra shifted in her chair, anticipating this to be the call when the tides turned for their support.

“Welcome to our first ever feedback call show.”

“Thank you… I do love your show but… I honestly am having a little trouble with the whole thing. I know the Avatar doesn’t have to be a chaste monk, our dear Avatar Aang had a wife and family.”

“That’s right, for the listeners at home, the Avatar is allowed to marry and have children.”

Korra scratched her chin and looked around the room. “Why wouldn’t I be? Right?”

Jinora snuck a look at Zhou Rhen. He was looking at Korra with an unreadable expression.

“But isn’t that just it, Avatar Aang had a wife and family. What could Avatar Korra and Miss Sato have? The Avatar is a sort of a moral role model, wouldn’t you say? I just wonder what kind of example she is setting for the youths of Republic City…”

Ikki jumped up from her seat and slapped the table.“What is she talking about? You guys are the best role models!” Ikki turned to Korra. “I want to be a couple just like you and Asami!” Once the words were out Ikki’s face turned red. She dared a look at her sister. “I mean like, you know, in how uh, good to each other you both are...”

Ikki slid back down into her seat while the other three watched. Ikki’s face quickly turned pink and found a divot on the table in front of her suddenly very interesting. Korra felt her own cheeks flush.

“Hi, Shiro and Republic City,” started a very sure and familiar sounding young man. “These two women are so incredibly fierce, proudly coming out the way that they have. They are an inspiration for all the young citizens out there afraid to be themselves. Well now they know, they are not alone!”

“And that was Xaiver…” Korra said slinking down in her seat, again her cheeks a bit pink.

“You seem very passionate about this sir,” Shiro said with a nervous laugh.

“I am. They have inspired me and my boyfriend to come out to our families!”

“Well good luck to you,” Shiro said as he disconnected the call.

“Hello, this is the police chief Lin Beifong. I just want to remind our citizens that we are still seeking residents with rooms to rent for the displaced families. You can come by the police station, president Raikos office, or the city hall and someone there will take your information.”

“And what about Avatar Korra and-” Shiro started but Lin cut him off.

“What about them? Nothing is different, I just hope we get better results in volunteers than you do responses to this infantile question,” Lin said curtly before the line went dead.”

“There you have it folks and I think that is all I will say on the matter. Have a great evening and take care!” Shiro said as his mic clicked off and the closing music on the show began to play.

“Pretty gutless to not say anything on the matter himself,” Zhou Rhen said, breaking the group silence.

“I think he was hoping for some guidance on the issue for himself but didn’t get the answer he was looking for,” Korra replied.

Zhou Rhen took off his glasses and started to rub at the lenses with his robe sleeve.

“It was a bit of a mixed bag of responses.”

“I’m curious what didn’t make the cut. Xaiver said he had a bunch of colleagues phone in unless that was just a way to extort signed copies of the magazine to resell…” Korra said with a grumble towards the end.

“I think it’s encouraging. Anything they said with a negative leaning you two couldn’t overcome. It sounds like people mostly just don’t understand. I think with time they will,” Jinora said matter-of-factly.

Korra nodded. “It was sweet of Lin to call in.”

“Yeah, I think the Police Chief implied crossing you is crossing her,” Zhou Rhen said hesitantly. “I’ve heard some tales about her and I’m not even from here.

“I don’t want people to be threatened into acceptance.”

Zhou Rhen tilted his head curiously at Korra. “What do you want?”

“To never have another public discussion about my relationship ever again.”

Zhou Rhen snorted. “I’m sorry Avatar Korra, but I think that is highly unlikely. This could very well be a constant creator of strife in your life. Even if the relationship ends, don’t foresee people forgetting this.”

“Are you sure you’re a professional counselor?” Korra asked, narrowing her eyes into a scowl at Zhou Rhen. “You are never comforting.”

***
Bolin and Opal didn’t recognise anyone they knew in the waiting area of the hospital. They had hoped maybe Korra or Lin would have been there to let them know what happened, but after an hour they were starting to worry about everyone.

“Sorry, maybe I didn’t need to rush you over here…” said Opal.

“Don’t be sorry. I still would have come. Sometimes even though there’s nothing
you can do, you just need to be there.”

Opal took Bolin’s hand. “Thank you.”

“Hey, I think I know that guy,” Bolin murmured, his eyes following a large man around a corner. “Uh, Shaaa-mmm-yuuune?” He called out getting up from his seat to follow after the man.

Bolin turned the corner to find Jon Yuen. Bolin grinned awkwardly. “Hi.”

“You’re the Avatar’s friend.”

“Yeah, Bolin,” he said sticking out his hand. “Remind me of your name?”

“Jon Yeun.”

Bolin snapped his free hand. “That’s right.”

“Why are you here, is the Avatar okay?”

“Yeah she’s fine, but someone we know is seriously hurt. The little boy from Air Temple Island. Do you know what’s going on with him by any chance?”

“I was going there now.”

“Oh, sorry. Please go, they must need you.”

“I’m just bringing some supplies, but I will brief you on what I can when I get back.”

“Thank you,” Bolin said with a slight bow.

When Bolin turned the corner to go back to the waiting room, he saw Opal was no longer alone. Shey and Izzi were there with a vase of flowers.

“Oh, hi guys.”

Shey took the flowers from Izzi and passed them to Bolin. “We won’t stay long, we just wanted to send our condolences to you and the family.”

“Aww thanks, guys,” Bolin accepted the vase. As he took them he saw a familiar person walking towards them over Shey’s shoulder. He smiled, recognizing it to be Asami, but then as Shey came back into focus his face fell.

Opal rose from her seat. “Shit, it’s Asami,” she murmured.

Asami stopped in her tracks as she saw Bolin, Opal, Shey, and a woman she didn’t recognize stare her down in the lobby. She let her work bag fall off her shoulder and held it limply by her side.

“Well this is a bit unexpected,” Asami muttered awkwardly. “It’s been a while, Shey.”

“It has.” Shey casually rested a hand on her hip.

Asami turned her gaze to Bolin and Opal. “Rohan, is he..?” she trailed off.

“He’s alive, we’ve at least been able to glean that information,” Opal replied.

“I saw one of the nurses that took care of Korra, he’s going to give us an update here in a bit,” Bolin added.

A long silence fell over the group. All eyes darted back and forth between Asami and Shey, who broke it with the question; “Since it’ll be a minute, up for a little walk?”

“Yeah, let’s do that,” Asami agreed. Feeling a relief from the tension building.

Bolin, Opal, and Izzi watched them leave, tracking them until they were completely out of sight.

“This okay?” Opal asked as she watched.

“Yeah, they just need a little closure,” Bolin assured, taking a seat and letting his body finally relax again.

Izzi snorted. “You mean Shey does.”

“Whatever it takes for me to not have to worry about accidentally mentioning Korra and Asami around her,” Bolin muttered. Opal jabbed an elbow into his side as she took the seat next to him. “Seriously, do you know how hard that is? I’m like, really involved with those two.”

***
Shey and Asami walked around to the back of the hospital. There was a small outdoor area where patients or families could get a little sun. Just a small paved loop around a water fountain. A few spirits were buzzing around the trickling water.

Spirits at a hospital gave Asami a bit of an uneasy feeling, but not as bad as the silence still lingering between her and Shey as they walked. She was desperate for Shey to speak first, but it was becoming clear that it wasn’t going to happen.

“I took a look at your script, I think it’s going to be a groundbreaking mover.”

“I guess we’ll see,” Shey said with a shrug, shoving her hands into her pants pockets. “There’s a part in there for you, if you want it. The femme fatal character at the beginning, with the daddy issues.”

Asami pursed her lips. “I prefer to play that part behind the scenes.”

“I can’t say you weren’t a little bit of an influence for the character. I wrote this post-breakup. You know, it always disappointed me that I couldn’t get you in front of a camera. That’s never happened to me before.”

“Sorry to disappoint,” Asami said, trying to keep the annoyance she was starting to feel out her voice.

The pair had come to the end of the loop. For a moment they both hesitated, but then Shey took a few steps ahead to start another orbit around the fountain.

“So, Avatar Korra, huh?”

Asami sighed, that was not much for her to work with. She followed behind Shey but didn’t rush to keep pace with her.

Shey continued, looking ahead. “Which I mean, I get it. I really do. She’s the fricken Avatar, but she didn’t get back to Republic City until the shit went down with Kuvira. I’ve been trying to do the math here, but it’s not adding up…”

“I did leave you for her,” Asami blurted out, surprising herself. She closed her eyes for a brief moment, to steel herself for Shey’s response.

Shey stopped and looked back at Asami. “But she wasn’t in the city right, she was still recovering in the south?”

“I couldn’t get over her. I’m sorry Shey,” Asami said, catching up to her.

Shey grabbed at her forehead. “Then the whole time? You were just using me while you waited?”

“No…” Asami started. She thought back to the time she renounced her feelings for Korra. The determination she had to live like Korra wasn’t coming back, because at that time it was looking like she never was going to. “I had sincerely put her out of my mind when we dated. Then I got a letter from her out of the blue and it just all came back. It was awful.”

“Why didn’t you tell me this then?” Shey barked.

“How could I tell you that I was in love with someone else, who I didn’t even know loved me back or would ever come back? I was ashamed. What a fool I was being. Throwing away a great relationship for what?”

Shey clicked her tongue. “Apparently for a relationship with the one you always wanted.”

“I’m so sorry,” Asami said, with the weight of her decision from long ago slumping shoulders.

“You know I thought you got cold feet about coming out?” Shey asked, shaking her head. “Maybe your business partners pressured you to end it. Stupid stuff I envisioned we could overcome…”

Asami could only give Shey a sympathetic look.

“Shoulda saw it coming. Despite putting her out of your mind, you still talked about Avatar Korra a lot,” Shey said, smoothing back her greased hair.

Asami blushed.

“Plus she’s a babe. Built like a fricken brick house.”

“Thank you for understanding…” Asami said with a slight bow.

“Yeah,” Shey sighed. “This doesn’t mean I want to double date with you two or anything like that. Far from it. I told Bolin to leave the Avatar at home when he comes by.”

“Don’t worry, she’s got more important things to do, and might even be out of the city for a stretch soon.”

Shey nodded.

“I am looking forward to this mover you’re making. This kind of love story will be very impactful. Bolin was supposed to be working for me, but I’m happy to let you have him.”

“My consolation prize,” Shey said with a soft chuckle. “Shall we head back? Maybe they got some  news on what happened to that kid.”

Asami gave her a nod. She had almost forgotten why she had come to the hospital in the first place. “I hope he will be alright.”

They returned to the lobby to find Opal, Bolin, and Izzi speaking with Jon Yuen. Asami held the door open behind her for Shey, but she was frozen in her spot. Asami looked back to the group to see what Shey could be so fixated on but found no answers.

“Who is that?” Shey asked, suddenly bursting from her paralysis.

“Uh, I met him the other day here, but I don’t remember his name…”

Shey brushed past Asami and charged up to Jon Yuen. “Have you ever considered acting?”

The large man recoiled slightly, as Shey leaned into his personal space.

“Oh, Jon Yuen, this is Shey, she’s the director and producer of the mover I’m going to be starring in,” Bolin offered, hoping to make things less awkward.

Shey shot a hand to Jon Yuen. He slowly took it in his much larger hand and gave hers a few shakes.

“I’m serious. Have you considered acting? You are exactly what I am looking for!”

Shey said, turning to Izzi. “Wouldn’t he be a perfect Lao Gong?”

Izzi cocked her head. “But he’s so much bigger than Bolin.”

“I think it’s perfect. His dark brooding features would contrast beautifully to Bolin’s more bright bubbly personality.”

Jon Yuen took a few steps back. “I’m a nurse, not an actor.”

“You don’t have to quit your day job-” Shey started, but was interrupted by Izzi pulling on her coat sleeve.

“Why don’t we give him our card and then follow up with him later. Let them deal with the emergency at hand,” Izzi suggested, pulling Shey a few steps away.

Shey gave a nod and smoothed back her hair. “You’re right, now is not the time.”

She pulled a card from her pocket and held it out to Jon Yuen.

He stared at the card for a few seconds, before Bolin grabbed it from Shey and then tucked it into the breast pocket of Jon Yuen’s scrubs.

“Okay, we’ll go. I hope everything turns out okay,” Shey said, turning towards the door. Izzi was already in front of it and held it open for Shey to leave.

“Was it her lack of boundaries that ended the relationship?” Opal asked with a smirk. Her face then turned serious. “Jon Yuen just briefed us, it’s not good Asami.”

***
The sun had reached its peak for the day as Meelo and Bumi coasted over Republic
City. Their silhouettes shadows could be seen sailing on the many high rise roofs.

The adrenaline rush of being told they need to leave right away had worn off and now Meelo’s brain was able to remember why they were on the run. “Uncle Bumi, can’t you tell me where we’re going?” Meelo asked in an attempt to distract himself again.

“To be honest, I haven’t quite decided that… we need a place to bunker for the night and then maybe it will come to me in the morning.”

“You mean we’re not going home tomorrow?” Meelo pressed.

Bumi turned to his nephew and shot him a surprised look. “You want to go back there?”

“Yes, I need to know if Rohan is okay.”

“You don’t need to go home to find that out. Trust me, kid, you are in a world of trouble with your parents, even if Rohan just broke a leg. But if…” Bumi lowered his head

“I didn’t kill him. It was an accident, but I couldn’t have killed him.”

“Let’s hope that’s true.”

Bumi looked at the city below them; they were almost to Dragon Flats. Bumi couldn’t help but grin, remembering there was a small United Forces base right where the river met the Yue Bay. Bumi pointed to their target.

“I know where we can spend the night.

Bumi led Meelo down to land on the docks of the naval base, which was bustling with activity. It seemed a ship must have recently docked at one of the five piers. Sailors filed out one side of a ship, while dock workers hustled to the cargo hold. Bumi and Meelo navigated their way through the crowd to get to the main office building.

Out front it had a small security booth with a lowered gate. The sentry had a magazine open in front of his face, obscuring it. Bumi cleared his throat before speaking. “Excuse me, I need to speak with the fleet admiral.”

The magazine lowered, to reveal a fairly young looking petty officer. He eyed the pair and put down his magazine. “Airbenders, you’re not here to preach about peace and harmony, are you?”

Bumi scrunched his face. “This is kind of pressing, so if you could just buzz the admiral…”

“I’m going to need a good reason to disturb my very busy boss. By the looks of you two, I can’t imagine it’s going to be worth it.”

“Listen here petty officer-” Bumi started, slapping his hand on one of the many glass windows of the security box. He then braced himself for a peek at the young man’s name badge on his chest. “Petty Officer Tsing, I’m retired Admiral Bumi, of the United Republic Armed Forces. I practically founded this port! Now radio in and let me speak to your superior!”

“There has never been an airbending admiral-”

“Call him before I fly you up to the top of the flagpole and hang you by your government-issued under-garments!”

The young officer scowled and tossed his magazine aside. “Fine,” he muttered swiping the radio receiver and bringing it to his mouth. “Admiral Kang, uh there is ah-really old airbender and a pretty young airbender here to see you. Can I let them in? I think he said Bumi. Okay, I will.”

***
Asami took her time walking up the steps to the Air Temple grounds from the docks. Bolin and Opal agreed to stay behind and be the gofers of information back to the temple. Asami checked her watch, it was just a little after five.

The courtyard, which was usually busy with the final activities of the airbending trainees before dinner, was empty save for a few acolytes sweeping away sand. A daily task for an island, as it was always blowing onto the stone.

Asami crossed the courtyard and decided to head for the dining room since that was usually where everyone convened in the evening, mealtime or not. She slid open the door and saw she was correct in her assumption. Korra, Ikki, Jinora and Zhou Rhen were all sitting around the table, glumly coloring on parchment. Korra and Ikki on one side, Jinora and Zhou Rhen on the other.

“Hi…” was all Asami could think of to say as she entered.

They all looked up, Korra was able to muster a smile. “Asami.”


Asami moved around the table to take a seat beside Ikki. “I just came from the hospital…”

“Did you see Rohan?” Jinora asked.

“And mom and dad?” Ikki said right after.

“I didn’t see your brother, but I was able to speak with your father, he said I could tell you what’s going on.”

The girls leaned in, eyes wide with concern.

“Rohan is alive, but very badly hurt. The fall crushed his pelvis and lower spine. The doctors believe the injury has paralyzed him from the waist down.”

“What does that mean?” Ikki asked, looking around the table.

“That means he can’t walk or feel below his waist. That means Meelo broke him.” Jinora said coldly.

Korra winced. “Jinora, you shouldn’t say that…”

Jinora shot up from her seat at the table. “There’s no nice way to put it! I’m going to go find Meelo and-”

“No!” Korra yelled, pounding her fist on the table. “Sit back down.”

“What? You’re going to make me? You can’t because you’re in-” Jinora started but stopped herself as she saw tears welling up in Korra’s eyes. Ashamed, she covered her face with hands and dropped back down to the floor, and let out a sob.

Korra reached a hand out across the table towards Jinora. “It’s going to be okay.”

Jinora shook her head, still covered by her hands as she slumped down further.

“Jinora…” Korra whispered.

Jinora pulled herself back up from the floor and quickly left the room. As she left, she turned her face away from the group.

“Jinora!” Ikki cried out.

Zhou Rhen looked to Korra and started to ease up from the table. “Should I go after her? Make sure she doesn’t leave?”

Korra shook her head. “She won’t.”

Zhou Rhen settled back into his seat. “This is awful… is there nothing I can do?”

Korra shrugged and fixed her eyes on the table.

Asami turned to Ikki beside her. The young girl’s head was bowed, shoulders slumped. “So what are you making?”

Ikki let out a long sigh. “We were making get-well cards… but now…”

“Now your little brother needs them more than ever. Do you have more parchment? I would like to make one too.”

Ikki smiled and slid a blank sheet over to Asami. Followed by some wax crayons.

“You should draw him a flying lemur, they’re his favorite.”

“Hmm, I don’t know if I can draw one of those, but I can draw a Satomobile.”

“Ooo! You draw that, then I’ll draw a flying lemur driving it!”

“Great idea,” Asami said as she dared a look over to Korra. She was looking down at her own paper, but she could see Korra was a million miles away.

“It should probably be hot pink,” Ikki said, passing that color crayon over.

“Of course, what else would flying lemurs drive?”

***
Korra watched from the bed as Ikki and Asami laid out Ikki’s bedroll on the floor of her room.

“Thank you for letting me stay with you tonight…” Ikki said, followed by a heavy sigh.

“Of course,” Asami replied, as she gave the young girl’s pillow a few swats to fluff it. “You can sleep here as many nights as you need to.” Asami snuck a look to Korra as she spoke. Korra didn’t look thrilled but gave a nod back.

A soft knock at the door caught all their attention. Ikki jumped up and slid it open. Jinora was on the other side, her bedroll tucked under her arms.

“Can I sleep with you guys too?” she asked, keeping her eyes low.

Asami waved her in. “Come on in, there is plenty of room next to Ikki.”

Ikki followed Jinora back into the room, then plopped down on her bedroll. “I wonder where Meelo is sleeping tonight…” Ikki said aloud, settling down in her bed.

Jinora shot her sister a look as she finished setting up her own spot for the night. She was tempted to make a snide remark about not caring where Meelo slept, but she thought better of it. Already she had said too much without thinking.

Jinora dared a look over at Korra. She was lying down now, eyes locked on the ceiling.

“I’m turning off the light now,” Asami warned before clicking it off.

Korra’s image was temporarily gone but quickly returned in a muted form to Jinora as her eyes adjusted to the darkness. Her cruel words came back to her, and she sharply rolled away from looking at Korra.

“Good night everyone, I love you,” Ikki whispered to the group.

Ikki smiled as she heard the other three murmur back her tidings.

***
Meelo started up at the ceiling from his bed on the top bunk, which was only about a foot from his face. He and Bumi were given an empty bunk among the seamen who were currently on active duty. The young men were already snoring away, conked out from a full day of work.

“Uncle Bumi, you really don’t think I can go home tomorrow?” Meelo whispered.

Bumi thought for a moment before answering. “Let me go see how things are tomorrow at the temple and we can take it from there. That sound okay to you?”

“I guess. What will I do?”

“Well they’ll probably have you swabbing the deck or peeling potatoes, new recruit type things, to earn your keep.”

“Great,” Meelo moaned.

“Eh, it won’t be so bad. Go to sleep.”

Bumi laid awake, waiting until he heard the familiar sound of Meelo’s snoring. It was particularly wet, the boy usually had snot bubbling from his nostrils. Bumi climbed up the ladder to the top bunk and confirmed Meelo was out. He then crept out of the barracks and took off into the night sky.

He knew it was going to be a long flight and a long night, but he couldn’t risk Meelo following him back home. Bumi could see it all playing out; Meelo rushing to his parents trying to apologize and explain, and it all just going to shit. Bumi did not want to have Meelo hear something that couldn’t be taken back.

Tenzin is a reasonable man, but so was their father. Bumi still got a hitch in his stomach when he thought about his late father’s face looking down at him the time he broke Tenzin’s arm.

“He is my future!”

Bumi could still hear Aang’s voice. And his mother, then scolding Aang for saying it.

But words like that, in a rage like that. They’re the truth, aren’t they? Maybe not the whole truth, but something deep and painful.

That is why Bumi needed to meditate on Meelo’s behalf for a while. To protect the boy and Tenzin from really hurting each other.

The temple came into vision, illuminated by the almost full moon. So lost in thought or perhaps so tired, he didn’t recall the flight there. Bumi landed quietly outside the main building, then crept inside. It was completely dark. Everyone had gone to bed. Bumi checked Tenzin and Pema’s room first and it was empty. The sinking feeling he had all day got worse. He moved to where their kids usually slept. No Ikki or Jinora.

“Who can I talk to that would know something… Korra, she’d probably have gotten left behind!” Bumi said to himself, snapping his fingers as it dawned on him. Korra’s place was near the dorms, but still a separate bedroom. Avatar privileges.

He located the room and hesitated for a moment. He had no qualms flinging the door open on his family members, but it would probably best if he knocked. He made a soft wrapping noise on the wooden door, but no one answered. Bumi slid open the door enough to poke his face through.

“Korra… are you awake or even in here?”

“Bumi?” Asami’s voice quietly answered back.

Bumi flinched with surprise at her voice. “I’m sorry, I uh didn’t mean to…”

As he stammered Asami met him at the door and he stopped.

“The girls are sleeping with us,” Asami stated quietly. “Do you have news?”

“No, I was hoping you did, can you get Korra up?”

Asami nodded and slid the door closed. She crept back to the bed and leaned down to the crook of Korra’s neck. Warm there, Asami couldn’t help but give Korra a nuzzle before whispering. “You need to wake up. Bumi is here.”

“Mmhmm?” Korra murmured sleepily.

Asami kissed her cheek. “C’mon, you need to get up quietly.”

“Kay…” Korra rose to a seated position in the bed. Asami sat down next to her and let Korra drape an arm around her shoulder. Then together they rocked back and rose off the bed, in a swift movement they had almost mastered. Then slowly walked Korra to the door.

“Bumi,” Korra started once they found him in the hallway.

“How bad is it? Is Rohan…”

“He’s not dead, Bumi,” Korra quickly replied. She then turned to Asami, who was still acting as her crutch. “But…”

Asami took over. “The doctors are fairly certain he is paralyzed. They plan to run some tests tomorrow if he is stable enough.”

Bumi slumped against the wall. “Oh no…”

“I’m going to the hospital tomorrow, you can come with me if you’d like,” Asami offered.

Bumi shook his head. “He’s a good boy! A talented bender. He just needs structure to harness all that energy and cultivate his potential. I needed it too when I was his age.”

“You’re talking about Meelo, right?” Korra asked.

“I’m… I’m going to take him to a place where he can get that.”

“What are we supposed to tell Tenzin and Pema?” Korra asked.

“Whoa, whoa,” Asami started, but Korra began to slip.

“Lean me on the wall,” Korra offered as she held out a hand towards it. Asami made sure Korra was firmly supported before letting go. She then took a step towards Bumi.

“I don’t think you should take Meelo away without their consent.”

“They won’t give it to me if I ask and I don’t see how Meelo can grow up here constantly reminded of his mistake.”

Asami looked back to Korra with pleading eyes. Korra just shook her head in response.

“You don’t have to tell Tenzin about this conversation. I’ll leave a note. Pretend like we never spoke. You slept through the night you never saw me, or the note. He’ll find it when he comes home.”

“I’ll just tell him what you told me this afternoon,” Korra offered.

Bumi nodded and started to back away down the hall. “I should go get started on that note, it’s going to be a long ride back.”

Asami took another step forward. “Wait, if you’re going to take Meelo away, you should at least take some of his things.”

“Smart.”

“I’ll pack them, you get started on the note.”

Bumi gave another nod and then lumbered down the dark hallway, quickly out of the girl’s sight.

“Want help packing?”

“No, I’m sure I can pick out a few personal items, you go back to bed.” Asami gave her a peck on the cheek and headed in the opposite direction of Bumi.

“Asami?”

She turned at her name.

“Can you help me back to bed?”

To be continued

Chapter 42: The Improbable

Notes:

Hope everyone had a safe Thanksgiving!

Thank you TheToasterMarketingBoard for editing!

Chapter Text

Movement in the bed woke Korra from her sleep. The morning sun hit her eyes, and she quickly closed them and rolled onto her side. Korra's hand felt around and located Asami curled up close, their heads sharing the same pillow.

Korra put her hand to Asami's hair and absently stroked it. Silky tendrils slipped through her fingers with ease. Asami began to rouse and inched her face closer. Their eyes opened for a few seconds to meet before closing again. Sleepy lips found each other. At that moment, everything else disappeared. Korra sighed and let her body effortlessly slide closer to Asami's.

"Where did Jinora go?" Ikki asked the room in a small and sleepy voice.

Korra and Asami's eyes widened as their mouths separated. Asami reeled back her hand so quickly from under Korra's shirt; the fabric fluttered.

"I-uh. I bet she went to get some breakfast," Asami managed to eke out.

"Yeah, you go on ahead, and we'll catch up. I need Asami's help with my uh, you know thing."

"Her cast," Asami corrected.

Ikki's bare feet padded on the wooden floor towards the door. She had to pass by their bed to leave the room. She dared a look. The older girls were still a bit entangled. Korra was on the outside of the bed and had her back to Ikki, so Asami peered over Korra's body to give a reassuring smile to the young girl.

Ikki darted her eyes to the floor, and a blush darkened her cheeks. "Okay, byeee…"

"We're right behind you!" Korra called out as she heard the sliding door bang shut.

"I forgot they were in here." Asami sat up and crawled onto Korra's middle, straddling her hips, but still mindful of the broken leg. "She knows we were up to something."

Korra moaned. "Do we have to do anything about that? Have a chat or something?"

"No, I don't think there is anything that needs to be said."

"Oh good," Korra sighed, reaching out a hand to each of Asami's thighs. She rubbed her hands over the supple skin, lost for a moment. "Can we stay here for a little while? Pretend for a few minutes that Ikki didn't catch us, nothing happened to Rohan, and our private life isn't being discussed on the radio?"

"Were you able to catch the broadcast?" Asami asked.

"Yeah, it was fine, I guess. Some positive, some skeptical. Lin even called in and scolded Shiro for doing it."

"Really?"

"Yeah, she was kind of awesome in her Lin way," Korra replied with a small snort. She imagined Lin at her desk, a no-nonsense scowl across her face as she dialed the number to Shiro's hotline.

Asami played with the fabric of Korra's nightshirt as she considered her next words. "I'm having second thoughts… about Bumi and Meelo."

"What do you mean?"

"When I take the girls to the hospital today, I want to tell Tenzin and Pema they left."

Korra turned her head to the side and let out a breath. Her fingers flexed on Asami's thighs, and then she drummed them nervously. 

"They're going to find out anyway. I want Tenzin and Pema to have the opportunity to make that kind of decision for Meelo as a family, you know?" Asami urged.

"I know, you're right," Korra murmured, closing her eyes. "I didn't challenge Bumi about it because... I get where he's coming from. I've been in that headspace where you need to just get away to figure out how to deal."

Korra thought back to her time alone, wandering the Earth Kingdom. It felt so long ago like it was a different person—one who welcomed sleeping on the hard ground because they didn't care. Swollen knuckles and aching shoulders were badges of honor. The echo in her mind repeating, you deserved this , her only companion. 

Asami moved her hands to Korra's. "I know."

Korra opened her eyes and turned back to Asami, the person she had been thinking around during that time. Like a dream, you recalled having when waking, but couldn't remember any of the details. Now Korra knew it was a willful ignorance. She wasn't allowing herself thoughts of a happy future. 

A small smile had formed on her face. "Well, then we better get our day going so you can get to the hospital."

***

Prince Wu looked out into the courtyard as he munched on his afternoon snack of shrimp-eel crisps. Between meetings, Wu often drifted towards one of the palace's many large windows. He had learned that having a birds-eye view of the courtyard and other outside corridors gave him insight into who spoke to each other in a friendly manner and tried to talk away from prying eyes.

He and Suyin were currently in pursuit of allies for Suyin's upcoming political move. It was decided that they would use Avatar Korra and Asami Sato's article as an opportunity for one way to feel people out. Their method was not to bring it up but wait to see who would and how favorably they spoke of the announcement.

The general climate around it was not great. Wu couldn't say he was surprised, but he had hoped that maybe the Avatar could give Earth Kingdom citizens a pause before the knee-jerk reactions of disapproval and even disgust.

Wu was learning more and more that the Earth Kingdom's opinion of Avatar Korra couldn't catch a break. Her dating a woman was one more thing on the list of disappointments. There was still a lot of resentment over his aunt's death from three years ago and the fallout that came from it. Wu only heard about what happened second hand, but many people felt the Avatar's pilgrimage around the Earth Kingdom, and a visit to the Queen invited the danger that was the Red Lotus.

Wu was starting to wonder if bringing her out here was not the best idea after all. Potentially becoming King had taught him to develop a trick he liked to call 'selective hearing.' He'd lick his wounds in private, but at the moment, Wu to hold his head high and brush cruel remarks off.

Could Avatar Korra ignore the whispers behind her back?

Suyin slid up next to Wu, checking his shoulder.

"I think I've made a few friends."

"Who?" Wu asked before popping a few crisps in his mouth.

"The representatives from Omashu, all of them," Suyin said, barely containing her excitement. "I caught the whole group with the magazine right on the table while they were having lunch. I joked I could get it signed for them, and then I was offered an empty seat. I even brought up marriage, and apparently, it's something that has come up there before. Omashu is a pretty forward-thinking state."

"That's one way of categorizing it."

Suyin held up a finger. "Once ruled by a long time friend of Avatar Aang-"

Wu cut her off. "It's the wealthiest state on our side now, next to Zafou."

Suyin used her up-turned finger to poke at Wu's shoulder. "We're going to need that. There is a condition; they want to toss a hat in the ring. They don't know who among them it will be yet, but I think I could live with any of them getting elected, worse case. They'll back us for holding an election, then support me if their candidate does not flourish and vice versa."

Wu rooted around in his crisp bag, trying to pick out the few remaining pieces. "We can only make that deal once, you know."

"I think of all the states, Omashu is the best to use it on; well, except Gaoling."

"Those people are intense. I wish Mako were still here. He did some detective snooping after the 'incident,' trying to sniff out who was involved. He must have formed a profile on every statesperson."

"Why didn't you say something sooner? Get that boy on the phone."

Wu moved a few steps away from Suyin. "Yeah… we can do that."

"Am I hitting a sore subject?"

"No, no." Wu held up his hand.

Suyin shrugged. "Well, even without Mako's insight, we are almost close to having enough support for an election. I think we should act soon."

"What about Avatar Korra?"

"I don't think we can wait for her, she didn't give me a date, and I do not want to push her injuries. Might be better if she comes out after the announcement anyways, less conspiratorial."

"I've been thinking, do you think it's wise to bring her at all? The feedback hasn't been too favorable."

"Korra is a big girl; she can handle it." Suyin cocked her head to the side and eyed Wu. She moved a few steps closer, making up the ground Wu had put between them. "Now that you mention it, worrying if Korra can cope? Rich states on our side a reason to be concerned? This isn't like you. Has something been bothering you? You've seemed a bit muted lately."

Wu raised his hands before cupping them over his face. "I haven't heard from Tu since we discovered the magazine. I can't help but think…"

Suyin nodded to herself. "He'll come around."

"And if he doesn't?"

"You can't force people to accept things they don't want to accept. My sister Lin and I didn't talk for thirty years over a disagreement. People need to get there in their own time."

"He doesn't know about me, at least I didn't think so. I've tried to make no secret of it. It might just be all in my head... There could be another reason-"

"You need to stop worrying about it because there is nothing you can do or could have done. Focus on the big task we have in front of us. I need you to make this all happen."

"You're right, you're right." Wu nodded dramatically. "I am with you, and I am ready to schmooze some more politicians."

"Atta boy. Tell them all about those salad wraps you like to get at the spa, or even better, bring some of those hold-outs with you!"

"It's a seaweed wrap, and you really should get one. We should go now, the two of us."

"But the - meeting," Suyin protested.

"No one will miss us. I'll be sure to get us back before the cocktail party the reps from Gaoling are throwing. We've been working really hard, and we need to look our best if we're going to nab them."

***

Asami found herself once again in the hospital lobby. How many times in a few short weeks had she walked through these doors? Ikki and Jinora dashed off ahead of her once inside. Fortunately, a receptionist stopped the girls from going too far.

"They are Master Tenzin's children," Asami called out, catching up to the girls.

"Let me just go check in and see if it's a good time. Rohan has a few tests in progress," the receptionist said before darting down the hall.

"Thank you. C'mon girls, let's take a seat," Asami said, steering the girls towards the sitting area.

They didn't wait long before Tenzin rushed into the lobby. Ikki and Jinora jumped out of their seats in unison to meet him.

"Daddy!" they cried.

"Girls!" Tenzin uttered as he choked back a sob. His daughters crashed into him, and he squeezed them close. "I've missed you."

"We missed you too," Ikki murmured, tightening her embrace.

Jinora pulled back a bit to look up to her father. "Can we see Rohan?"

"And Mommy?" Ikki added.

Tenzin nodded and ushered them towards the critical care unit. Ikki looked back and waved to Asami. "You can come too."

"I'll be right behind you. I just need to make a phone call," Asami said back. It was a small lie, but she wanted to give the family a few moments alone.

Asami leaned back into her seat and let her mind drift. She started plotting out her day, but soon she was back in bed with Korra. Both half asleep, they instinctively sought each other's mouths. Her stomach fluttered as she remembered the feel of the Avatar's lips on hers. The encounter was not unlike waking from the many dreams she had about Korra while she was away, but now she was still there when her eyes opened. Asami hated to complain, given all that has been going on, but they barely had an intimate moment alone since Korra broke her leg.

"Asami," Tenzin called out, lurching her from her thoughts.

Asami's cheeks pinked as she met his gaze. "Tenzin."

"Thank you for bringing the girls. Do you know why Meelo didn't come? Neither would tell me why."

Asami rose from her seat to be closer to eye level with Tenzin. "Bumi left with Meelo yesterday." She reached into her satchel and pulled out the folded letter from Bumi. She had taken the opportunity to swipe it from Tenzin's office before leaving the island.

"Did he say when they were coming back?" Tenzin asked, opening the letter. His eyes scanned the words written in Bumi's crude handwriting.

"No. It doesn't sound like any time soon. Bumi didn't tell us where they were. It sounded like they might still be somewhere in the city, but I know he's planning on taking Meelo out of town. I think you need to find them right away."

"I don't know. I shouldn't leave Pema and…"

"You might not get another opportunity," Asami urged.

"Understood," Tenzin said with a heavy sigh. "I have a feeling I know where they've gone. Bumi used the word discipline three times in the first couple of sentences. Let Pema know I will be back as soon as I can."

***

The sun was dipping closer to the rusty mountains looming just above the small farming village of Pen, outside the capital of New Gaipan. The glow cast a long shadow over the single-story structures, almost tricking Kai into thinking it was later than it was as he silently made the trek to the room he and the other boys would be all sharing for their stay.

They had agreed to meet back around three to discuss their findings. Kai opened the door to find he was the last to return.

"We were about to send a search party for you," Yanten, the oldest of the group, called out to him.

"And that's why you all look so relaxed?" Kai retorted, taking a seat next to Yung on the floor.

Yung cleared his throat as Kai settled and addressed the group. "So now that we finished our rounds of interviews with the townies, I figured we could go over our notes and share."

"Ugh, you're almost worse than Otaku," Yanten groaned.

"I don't know why you all aren't writing down at least some notes from your discussions with people. How are we supposed to remember everything when we get back to Air Temple Island? This is only our second town, and I don't see us slowing down anytime soon."

Kai tapped his forehead. "It's all up here."

"Yeah," Mu concurred. "Mental notes are just as good."

"None of you can write, huh?" Yung asked in a deadpan tone.

The other boys looked at each other sheepishly.

"I can write a little bit," Yanten offered. "I had to write a ransom note or two in my day."

Yung held up his hands in disbelief. "The only writing experience amongst you five is gang-related."

"If you're so concerned about getting it all down, you can take notes for us," Yanten offered.

Yung pulled on the hairs of his soul patch. "I guess that is my new plan, so if you all want to tell me what you heard from the locals, I can start jotting it down."

"I dub Yung the official note-taker of the group!" Kai called out, slapping a hand on Yung's back. The force knocked his pen from his hand. It rolled into the middle of the small circle their bodies formed.

The five boys started to clap for Yung. He scowled, but it eventually softened, and he took a bow to accept his title. Yung used his bent-over position as an opportunity to collect his pen.

"It's our first mission together. We're going to figure out all this stuff as we go," Kai said, looking around the group. The boys nodded, except Yung, who was face deep into his notebook.

Yanten used a hand to smooth back the long hairs of his freshly shaved mohawk and then held it up to get the group's attention. "I got an interesting piece of information; a celebration is starting tonight. I guess some kind of harvest festival will be going on for a couple of days. We picked the perfect day to arrive here, my boys."

"Really? A podunk town's festival?" Cheng muttered.

"C'mon, festivals mean local girls dressing up cute and hanging around hoping to meet eligible bachelors like ourselves," Yanten said, pulling at his collar and puffing out his chest.

"I'm following you now," Cheng murmured with an exaggerated nod.

Cheng was seated next to his brother Chang. They both had shaggy sand-colored hair and looked similar enough they often got mistaken for twins. Chang gave Cheng a nudge and then held out his hand "Giiiiirls."

"Giiiiils," Cheng repeated and slapped his brother's hand. After they made contact, Cheng looked over at Kai. His grin widened. "Except little Kai-Kai. No girls for you."

"That's right, there is one non-bachelor among us," Chang added mournfully.

"Let's not get into it," Kai murmured, shifting in his seat. 

"I thought you broke up with Jinora before coming out here?" Yanten asked, leaning towards the younger man.

"We had a bit of a fight before I left, that's all..." Kai started. He paused for a moment to think about their conversation. "I don't even really understand why we were fighting."

Cheng let out a huff. "She started it?"

"Yeah," Kai agreed.

"Typical," Chang said, finishing for Cheng.

"Jinora is not your typical girl," Kai argued.

"I always thought it was brave of you to date Master Tenzin's daughter," Mu said thoughtfully.

Yanten put an arm around Kai. "Our fearless leader here is a brave and bold kinda guy. So don't hesitate to turn to him tonight when you need a wingman or an excuse to ditch a girl that's not working out for you."

"Hey, I thought you were gonna say something nice!" Kai moaned as he attempted to wriggle out of Yanten's grip.

Yanten chucked and gave Kai's shoulder a shake. "We used to have a fall guy back when I'd go out partying with the Red Monsoons. Usually, it was me because I was the youngest."

"How many eligible girls do you think are in this town?" Kai asked.

"Let's go find out!" Yanten shouted, jumping up from his seat. Cheng and Chang quickly followed. Mu eased up from his seat, using the wall to brace himself.

Kai rolled his eyes but rose as well.

The boys hooted as they stormed out of the room, leaving Yung alone.

"What about the notes?"

***

The harvest celebration that night was a surprisingly festive affair. Kai and his group were welcomed and fed like guests of honor. All the vendors pushed back any coins offered for their street foods. This, of course, sent Mu into a frenzy, sampling from all the food stands. He had to leave the party early, sick from so many different fried foods. Yung offered to bring him back to their room and should have returned by now to Kai's estimation, but he was starting to get the feeling the responsible Yung had probably also decided to call it a night.

Kai stood alone to watch Cheng, Chang, and Yanten flirt with the local girls. They were all a bit older and taller than Kai. Their lanky forms towered over the small gaggle of girls chatting with them by the town center's bonfire. Circling the fire was about eight or so Earthbenders, pushing and pulling the ground in some sort of ritual or dance. Kai wasn't sure which it was where he was standing.

"How come you aren't with your friends?" a female voice asked, startling Kai from his thoughts.

He looked over to see a young woman in her teens standing beside him. She was wearing a pale green knee-length dress with flowers embroidered along the bottom. On her head was a pale flower crown that all the young women at the festival seem to be wearing. She was holding a cup full of fruit slices. She poked at a piece with a small pick and popped it into her mouth. She saw his eyes go to her fruit bowl, so she held it out towards him.

"Want one? We only get guava melons during the harvest festival. A rare treat."

Kai waved the bowl away. "I'm stuffed, but thank you. What are they doing exactly?"

The girl turned her attention to the fire and benders. "It's the harvest dance. They reenact the steps of the growing cycle, from planting to harvesting. They even bend the earth into the shapes of the different foods we grow. It's pretty impressive and takes years to perfect."

Kai nodded. "That's kinda cool, never heard of such a thing before. And I'm from the Earth Kingdom originally."

"Where from?"

"All over."

"It's been a while since we had airbenders check in on us. After Avatar Korra took Kuvira down, we didn't think your people would be making any more rounds," the girl said with a shrug. She selected another slice of guava melon and nibbled on it.

"We know that removing Kuvira wasn't going to make everything suddenly better for the Earth Kingdom. We had a little cleaning up we needed to do in Republic City after the attack, but we're now able to spare some of us to do what we can."

"I'm envious. I wish I could travel around the Earth Kingdom."

"It's no vacation," Kai countered.

"I know." The girl turned to meet Kai's gaze. "I wish I felt like what I was doing mattered. Hard to feel that way in some little village where the big thing to happen to you is the guava melon vendor comes by."

"I'm sure there is something you could do. We airbenders can travel farther faster, but we don't stay in one place for very long. You could get a group of people together who would be able to stay in places longer and make lasting changes."

"I guess that's true…but how would I even start something like that?"

"You just have to start asking around, see if other people feel the way you do. Me and the guys can ask around too at the next couple of places we go. Send them to this village to find you."

The girl held out her free hand to Kai. "My name is Yenay, by the way."

"I'm Kai," he said, taking her hand. "What you want is totally possible. You just gotta take the chance and do it."

Yenay blushed and took her hand back. "I want to take a chance."

***

Tenzin was relieved to see the naval base in Dragon Flats become visible below him as he cleared a small cluster of clouds. He ramped up his speed, gaining a boost of adrenaline from seeing his destination before him. 

Tenzin wrapped his cloak tightly around his body as he maneuvered his way through the base. His traditional Airbender garments at times made him feel a bit out of place, but never more so than around the military. The organization had always made him a bit uneasy; he couldn't remember the last time he was around so many soldiers.

Fortunately, he didn't have to look long to spot his brother sitting at a dock with two large baskets, prying at something in his hands.

"Bumi."

The scrappy older man looked up from his shucking at the sound of his name.

"Tenzin," he gasped, dropping the oyster from his mitts. It fell into the sea with a plop.

Tenzin stepped closer. “Where is Meelo?”

"Choring elsewhere," Bumi said, fishing another oyster from the basket. 

"What are you doing here?" Tenzin asked.

Bumi looked up at his younger brother. His eyes were squinting from the midday sun. "I couldn't leave the boy there to sit around with his guilt. I remembered what got me out of my bad place; hard work, discipline, and the open sea." Bumi hoisted himself up from his seat. He tossed the oyster back into the basket, unopened. "Let me take Meelo away for a bit. There is a cadet program for minors. I'd be with him, never let him out of my sight."

"You can't just take my son away from his home."

"I'm not trying to steal your son Tenzin. I'm trying to help him. How can you not see the boy is restless? He needs purpose and structure. The United Forces can harness all of that," Bumi pressed.

Tenzin took a step closer, so he was almost nose to nose with Bumi. "Meelo is an airbender, not a soldier."

"Tell me, how do you see things going for Meelo; day after that looking at his little brother, crippled, knowing he's the cause?"

Tenzin stepped back. "So it was Meelo…"

"It was an accident."

"Meelo needs to be with his family, so we can all heal together."

"Dad?"

The men turned around to find Meelo slowly approaching. He had an oversized United Forces jacket around his shoulders.

Bumi patted Meelo on the back as he passed by. "Leave it up to the boy. I won't take him away against his will. I want what's best for him."

"Dad, I… I'm sorry," Meelo muttered as he stopped in front of his father.

Tenzin bent down to be eye level with Meelo. "Tell me what happened?"

"I wanted to... I dunno… help Rohan's airbending come out. I tried all these things in your airbender book, but nothing worked. So I flew with him, I think it was working, but I… he slipped and…" Tears started to well at the corners of Meelo's eyes. He quickly rubbed at them with the back of his hand. Harshly rubbing his face, his head shaking back and forth.

Tenzin used every core muscle he had to control his breathing. "But why would you do that? You know bending happens when it happens."

"I was worried he wasn't going to be an airbender…"

"Why didn't you talk to us about it?" Tenzin asked, leaning in closer.

"I dunno, I wanted to show you I was a capable airbender. If I could teach Rohan, maybe you'd finally let me do something again!" Meelo hollered, taking his hand off his eyes. "You never let me do anything anymore!"

Tenzin's head began to spin. He clutched it and stood back up. "What book were you reading?"

"How to find airbenders…" Meelo said, clutching the oversized jacket closer around him.

"That book is Fire Nation…" Tenzin trailed off. "Fire Nation filth" was what he wanted to say, but his father would never let him speak ill of the Fire Nation. His father had forgiven them. It was not Tenzin's grudge to hold. Aang held onto those books as a reminder of the past, so it would never be repeated. Forgive, but not forget. Yet here it was still causing harm.

"You know you're not supposed to go into my study Meelo."

"I know," Meelo whispered, wilting. 

"If you know better than why did you-" Tenzin's thoughts drift to Rohan. His tiny little body hooked up to so many machines.

"Dad, I'm sorry!" Meelo wailed.

"I know, I know," Tenzin moaned back.

"He'll be okay. Rohan will be okay right?"

Tenzin shot a questioning look at Bumi. Bumi gave a quick shake of his head. He didn't have the heart to tell Meelo the diagnosis yet.

"Rohan will…" Tenzin started, but the words died in his throat. He had not yet uttered the words aloud, even to himself. Last night he let the large dark-haired medic advise Opal and the other well-wishers in the lobby. When the doctors delivered the formal diagnosis to Pema and himself this morning, they only nodded, accepting what they feared was going to be true. He recalled Pema's small hand seeking out his own. At that moment, he was grateful Pema was going to be by his side for this journey.

Bumi waited for Tenzin to finish what he started, but he could see that the news was too difficult to speak all over his face. "He's paralyzed," Bumi said, turning to Meelo. He felt the weight of the words as they left his lips.

Meelo bowed his head. "That means he can't walk. He'd be like Korra when she was hurt."

"But he won't get better as Korra could," Bumi added.

"I broke my little brother…"

Tenzin grabbed his temple and rubbed it a few times before seeking out his son's gaze. "Meelo, let's go home. We can keep talking, and we will get through this together."

Meelo violently shook his head. "I want to stay here!"

"Meelo."

"I…" Meelo started, but the words escaped him.

Bumi put a hand on Meelo's shoulder. "I promise I'll bring him home as soon as he's ready. We'll be shipping off to the Fire Nation tomorrow. I'll write when we get there."

"Meelo, you don't have to go. You still belong with the family, no matter what."

Meelo shrunk away from his father and hid behind Bumi. "Just for a little while…"

Tenzin looked to Bumi and repeated. "Just for a little while."

***

Asami checked her watch after stepping into her Satomoblile in the hospital parking lot. She had a meeting with Hong at the family home in twenty minutes and was just barely going to make it in time. Ikki and Jinora were resistant to leaving their mother alone with Rohan since Tenzin had not yet returned from his search for Meelo and Bumi. A plan was made that Asami would go to her meeting and then return to the hospital to pick the girls up and bring them back to the island. Usually, the girls would just fly home themselves, but things still felt shaky and unpredictable in the city. Everyone felt more comfortable if they all traveled together.

Once into the city's downtown area, passing Future Industries corporate tower, Asami's vehicle was on a very well worn path towards the family home. How many times had she driven from the office to the mansion? When she first moved out and into an apartment, she often started back this way before catching herself and having to turn back around to the opposite side of town. Asami could easily walk to work from her apartment, but she preferred the sufficiency of driving.  

A left onto Willow's Ridge and then the fourth driveway on the right, and she was cruising up the long driveway to the Sato family mansion. As Asami made it up to the parking area, she could see Hong outside waiting. He had a lawn chair and table set up in front of his small cottage annexed to the main home.

"Good afternoon Miss Sato," the older gentleman greeted, rising from his seat.

"Hi Hong, thank you for taking the time to do this with me," Asami said, offering a hand. They shook briefly and began to move towards the main entrance of the mansion.

Hong shrugged. "With no occupants, I've got all the time in the world."

"Cherish these last few days of calm. It's going to get really intense around here. I think it might be best if I put you up in a hotel during the construction. I want this up and running as soon as possible, which will mean three shifts of workers. Early morning and into the evening."

"I would appreciate that."

Asami stopped in front of the door and turned to Hong. "And you are sure you are still up for keeping the grounds. It will be like the time Bolin and Mako's family were living here, but exponentially more hectic."

Hong straightened out his stooping shoulder. "I'm up for the challenge."

"I don't want you to think this is the only opportunity for you. You have a job with me no matter what. I will make sure you are taken care of."

Hong fidgeted with his hands. Noticing his age starting to show in the small brown spots speckled across his knuckles. "To be honest, I can't see myself anywhere else. I took this job an odd twenty years ago. I'm in my mid-fifties. At this point, tending this home is really all I know."

"Alright, then let's do the walkthrough," Asami said, grasping the large handle of the main door. She pushed it open with a bit of exertion, and the pair entered the home. "I'm glad you've been with us for so long. I hope you can confirm what parts of the architecture I should be sure to preserve or at least have removed in full to be repurposed elsewhere. I know my father mentioned importing many 'expensive' wood from the Fire Nation for my mother. What I want to know is whether it was salvaged from some antique home or just fresh lumber from twenty-plus years ago."

"I know of a few ornate fixtures, but you might need to have an expert come by," Hong said, scratching at the back of his head.

Asami let out a sigh. "We don't have the time to ship someone out here, so I guess we'll just have to do our best. The only two people who would care if I threw out an antique at this point are dead."

Hong pursed his lips, feeling a twinge awkward. "Miss Sato, I-"

"It is what it is. We're giving this place purpose. It's a way to honor my mother," Asmai paused thoughtfully. "And father. That is a good thing. Good things are going to happen here."

Hong nodded. "Yes, Miss Sato."

They moved into the main sitting area and took a look around.

"The furniture is all imported. I would recommend putting that into storage for now. I think that Earth Kingdom family pushed it to its limits. Most of it is more decorative than functional," Hong offered.

"I agree. I want people to feel comfortable living here. Right now, it looks like a museum. Speaking of museums, I have one room that I do not want to be touched."

Asami started up the stairs, and Hong trailed behind her as fast as he could to keep up. She led them to her parent's bedroom door.

"I can't bring myself to do anything to this room," Asami said, opening the door for Hong. He peered inside but didn't enter.

"As your mother last left it," Hong muttered, followed by a heavy sigh. "One day, if you should ever return to this home, consider making this your room. It is the master bedroom."

"How could I? At this point, it's been left this way for so long would it be even more disrespectful to occupy the space?"

"I don't think your mother would have wanted you to make a shrine of her possessions. Had she gone at her natural time, you would have inherited her things because she wanted you to have them and enjoy them. You honor heirlooms by getting the same use and enjoyment as the family members before you, not by letting them collect dust."

Hong held out his left arm and pulled back his sleeve, revealing a small silver wristwatch. "My father's watch. He was enthralled by the mechanical genius of them when they first came out. Can you imagine? He saved up for a long time to buy it. First, in his village to own one."

"I don't know if there is anything here like that…"

"Well, think about it. Nothing you have to address anytime soon. I reckon you and the Avatar are a ways from settling down."

Asami's face quickly flushed. "You read the article."

"I don't know if Hiroshi is turning in his grave over it. May he rest in peace. But I'm sure Yatsko would have been happy for you."

Asami gave a small nod, contemplating her thoughts on her father's feelings on the matter. And she had no idea what her mother would think, but it was nice to hear something say she'd be okay with it.

"I'm happy for you too," Hong said with a squeeze of Asami's shoulder, catching her attention.

"Thank you, that means a lot to me." Asami closed her parent's bedroom door. Her hand ran over the soft, wood panels. "I plan on having a secret door created. So anyone walking by will have no idea anything is here."

"And your room?"

"I'll have my things moved out, and it will get turned over into a functioning room like the rest."

Hong gave her a nod. "Understood. I believe all the bedroom doors are salvaged."

"I wondered that since they are all different," Asami said thoughtfully. "We can have them all taken out and salvaged again. I think each room should have an individual lock for privacy and security anyway."

Asami moved from her parent's room and down the hall. "Alright. I've got a tough one for us, Dad's office…"

Hong chuckled. "I believe if you sold off the contents of that room, it could very well cover the cost of the construction."

***

Korra looked down at her feet as they dangled over the edge in the women's bath. Her left foot looked four times the size of the other with the big white cast on it. She had an appointment with a waterbending healer this afternoon and figured it would be easier to bow out of going to the hospital. That way, the girls didn't have to hurry back, especially with the extra time it took her to get around.

Korra felt a twinge of frustration with her circumstances. She wished she could get around like she used to. She wished she could visit Rohan, Pema, and Tenzin.

"This is only temporary. I will walk again," Korra whispered to herself.

"Avatar Korra," a woman's voice called out.

Korra looked up to see a woman of Southern Watertribe heritage. She had one long dark braid that rested on her shoulder. Her eyes were like many natives, blue, but slightly lighter than Korra's, almost like ice. The woman was maybe a few years older than herself.

"Hello," Korra replied shyly.

"My name is Tapeesa. I'll be treating you today. Shall we get into the tub?" The healer asked, extending a hand to Korra.

Korra hesitated to take it. "What about the cast? I've never had a water treatment with one before. Won't it get too wet?"

"I will be sure to bend all the water off once the session is over."

Korra grinned. "I guess I could give it a little blow dry too, just to be sure."

Tapeesa chuckled. "What am I saying? You could bend the water off yourself. I'm surprised you're not managing your own healing. You have the ability, right?"

"Yeah, I wasn't sure with it being a break and the cast is kinda weird to work around," Korra explained as she let Tapeesa guide her into the water.

"It won't be a problem. I've healed many bones in casts before."

Korra eased herself into the warm water and tried to let herself relax. "I'm just relieved Xaiver was able to set this up. There are not enough of you in this city. What's with that?"

Tapeesa considered Korra's question as she began to bend the healing waters over her leg. "I hear that this job in the Fire Nation pays exceptionally well because it's such a rare treatment there. And then, I'm sure you can attest, not a lot of people tend to leave the tribe."

Korra's mind drifted to the snowy woods, cold wind, and deep silence. She didn't get to share any of that with Asami. Their trip was cartoonishly short, and when she was there because of the Tigerpillar spirit, even shorter.

"I miss the cold sometimes, but more often than not, it's the food…" Korra sighed. "Hardly anything that you can fish there, you can fish here. I've tried some of the so-called Southern Water Tribe restaurants, but it's not the same if the catch isn't fresh."

Tapeesa nodded vigorously. "Ugh, I know. I moo-sow-out when I go to visit my parents. I feel like I have to waddle back on to the ship home."

"I was just there," Korra mused. "Twice, but neither time long enough to really enjoy it."

"Official Avatar business?" Tapeesa asked, keeping her eyes on the water.

Korra's hand fidgeted on the railing of the large bath. "Sorta, this damn Spirit is guarding the portal entrance. We got into the Spirit World, but then he blocked us from getting out. Had to go to the Southern Portal and then back to Republic City via ship."

"Sounds stressful."

***

Asami didn't see Korra waiting in the courtyard, so she assumed she must still be in her healing session in the women's baths. As she got closer, the sound of Korra and an unknown woman gave Asami confirmation on her theory. She entered the baths unnoticed and decided to stand back to make sure she didn't interrupt the healer's concentration or chi-flow. Asami wasn't a hundred percent on the mechanics of what a healing session involved.

"What's the Spirit World like? I'd love to see it." Asami heard the healer ask. She moved out of the doorway and more into the bathing area to view the session.

Korra clicked her tongue as she considered the place in question. "It's beautiful. Hard to describe because it's a whole other world in itself. There are different regions with their own climates, just like our own."

Asami stopped moving closer once Korra and the healer came into view. She almost rubbed her eyes in disbelief. Did she see double? The healer had her back to Asami. Her muscular arms and shoulders were effortless bending the bathwater. With her dark skin and Watertribe inspired clothing, she could only remind Asami of Korra.

"Will us average schmucks ever be allowed in someday?" the healer asked playfully.

Korra smirked. "For the moment, only if you're spiritual enough to meditate inside. You're a healer. You've never tried?"

"I meditate plenty. It's just never taken me beyond my yoga mat," Tapeesa replied with a chuckle. She rose from her spot in the bath, the water. "The break is healing nicely."

Asami felt herself feel a bit relieved the woman could not meditate into the Spirit World. It only dawned on her now that she and Korra could take mini trips to the Spirit World if she could master that ability herself.   

"It got set right after I fell. I don't know if that makes a difference," Korra said with a shrug.

"Usually, you wait until the swelling goes down before setting, but it seemed to work out for you all the same," Tapeesa said, patting Korra's unbroken leg. "I think it would be best if I came back a few more times."

Korra nodded. "I may have to go to the Earth Kingdom here pretty soon if needed. Would you be able to make a recommendation for a healer over there? I'd be in Ba Sing Se."

"Aww, hopefully not too soon." Tapeesa thought for a moment. "I think someone I trained alongside ended up moving there. I can see if I have their contact information."

"Your session going well?" Asami asked, crossing her arms as she made herself visible to the other women.

Tapeesa waved, looking beyond Korra. The Avatar careened her neck to see who it was.

"Asami!"

"All finished for the day," Tapeesa announced, holding a hand out to Korra.

Korra moved to rest her arm on Tapeesa's shoulder, and they walked her out of the tub. It was slow and awkward goings hopping through water, but they eventually managed to get Korra up and out. She eased down on her butt onto the tile and allowed Tapeesa to bend the water from the cast. Korra was surprised by how much water came off.

"Do we need to pay you directly, or does it go through the hospital billing?" Asami asked, taking a few steps closer to where Korra was sitting on the floor.

Tapeesa thought for a moment. "I don't think the hospital is charging the Avatar for her care."

"Does this mean you won't be compensated for your time?"

"It's no problem." Tapeesa turned and flashed Korra a smile. "It's an honor to heal the Avatar."

"I'll make sure you get taken care of," Asami said, reaching into her satchel. She pulled out her business card and passed it over to the healer. "Send the bill to my office. "

Asami put an arm on Tapeea's shoulder and guided her towards the door of the women's baths. "I can see you out."

"I'll see you in a couple of days Avatar Korra," Tapeesa said with a small wave.

"Sounds good! Thank you!" Korra called back.

After a few minutes, Asami returned to the bath and took a seat next to Korra, who was still on the tile.

"Is she the only waterbending healer available?" Asami asked dryly.

Korra cocked her head to the side. "Why? She's really good."

"She's gorgeous, and she likes you."

Korra snorted. "Aww, c'mon. She's just being professional." Asami didn't respond. "You're jealous?"

Asami looked away. "A little, yeah."

"Come here," Korra said, waving Asami to her. "You've got nothing to worry about."

Asami chuckled as she scooted closer to Korra. "I'm not worried. It's just been a minute since I saw someone look at you that way that many people do."

"Huh?"

"I told you, you have this effect on people. I need to appoint someone to keep an eye on you while you're in Ba Sing Se," Asami said, dipping a finger into the warm bath waters.

"Um, you're a gorgeous woman who will be unaccompanied here in the city. Who am I going to have watching after you."

"We did make it pretty public that the two of us are off the market."

"That's right! I'm sure Tapeesa knows that", Korra offered.

"Using her name?"

"C'mon…" Korra moaned, giving Asami a playful nudge.

Asami took in a deep breath. "While we're on the subject, there is something I should tell you. I saw my ex at the hospital yesterday. I want you to hear this from me; she's the one making the mover that Bolin is going to be in."

Korra blinked a few times. "I don't know if I care much for that."

"This is the first time I've seen her since we broke up. I only knew Bolin was working with her when I saw the name on the script he brought to the temple."

"But now you're going to see her more often, right?"

Asami shook her head. "No. She was just looking for some closure. We don't want to be a part of each other's lives."

"I see..." Korra said with a couple of slow nods. Then she suddenly flinched and slammed her fits on the tile. "Ugh! I feel jealous now. Jealousy sucks." She pouted her lip and looked to Asami.

Asami tried to mirror Korra's melancholy mood but found her lips twerk upwards into a smile, then into laughter. Korra's pout didn't last long. Soon she too was laughing.

When their laughter finally settled, Korra rested her head on Asami's shoulder. "I love you so much," she whispered.

Asami smiled and moved her head to kiss the top of Korra's.

***

Suyin couldn't remember the last time she felt this good. Between the spa trip and very productive schmoozefest, Suyin had the rest and confidence she needed to make her pitch to the state representatives. She checked her watch before looking around the empty halls. They planned to be at the meeting room first to get seats facing the door, so they could watch everyone as they entered.

"Suyin Beifong!" Wu called out as he strolled down the hallway. "You look dressed to take on all of Ba Sing Se!"

Suyin gave Wu a once over. He was in a suit made entirely of mossy green crushed velvet. Amber epaulets that had long golden cords adorned his shoulders.

Wu twirled. "You like it?"

"I'd say you're the one dressed to conquer."

"Who doesn't love a little drama? Let's snag seats at the head of the table."

Suyin took a look around the room, taking in the calm before it dissipated. Their weekly all representative meetings were housed in a dining room that the Queen once used to entertain intimate gatherings of a mere hundred or so guests. Suyin hated to admit it was perfect. A room with a very long table with enough seating for all the representatives was hard to come by.

"I hear them coming," Wu muttered, sitting up straight in his seat.

"Let's stand to greet them," Suyin replied, patting Wu on the back.

The pair watched the room fill with men and women from all over the Earth Kingdom. Statesmen held side conversations until Chin, a statesman from Chixu elected as the foreman for these meetings, banged the gavel.

"Welcome, everyone. As we begin this meeting, does anyone have any new business they would like to bring to the table?"

Wu's hand shot up in the air. A few other statesmen raised their hands, tentatively after seeing the sureness of Wu.

"Prince Wu, why don't you start things off."

Wu rose as Chin sat. "As you all know, I have stepped aside as heir to the Earth Kingdom's throne to disband the monarchy and make our nation one of democracy. I believe that the states should have their own elected leaders because it is the citizens of those states who know who and what is best for them. However, after observing this amazing process of de-tangling the monarchy's system, I have come to realize that there is a need for oversight. Elected rulers of the states need to be held accountable if there are imbalances. I no longer want Ba Sing Se's rings to reflect the Earth Kingdom. I do not want states to operate as the upper, middle, and outer ring of the Earth Kingdom. I want all states to have the same opportunity and access. I believe this would be best upheld if we had one elected official, a president of the Earth Kingdom's states, making us the United Earth States. And this president would not be elected by us here today but by every citizen. Every voice in this Kingdom matters. Any state may have a representative run for this highest position of office."

"And the term?"

"Three years?" Wu offered.

"Would there be a limit for the number of candidates per state?"

"For local elections, no, but for the general election, one candidate per state and no states are obligated to offer a candidate."

"Any further questions?" Chin asked the room.

"If my motion is approved, we can hash out all the details as they come up."

Chin held up his gavel. "All in favor of the motion?"

Suyin raised her hand and dared a look down the table. The representatives she and Wu had spoken with were all holding up their hands. For a moment, Suyin doubted it was enough. She shot a look back to Chin, who was whispering the count to himself.

He made a note on some paper in front of him. "And all opposed?"

At the very opposite end of the table, several hands rose. Many Suyin and Wu had avoided talking to, many from states right outside of Ba Sing Se, on the border of the outer ring.

"With a count of fifty-four to thirty-seven, the motion is passed," Chin called out as he banged the gavel.

Suyin and Wu turned to each other, both giddy from relief. Suyin snuck a hand under the table to squeeze the young man on the knee. "We did it!"

"Now that the motion is passed, Prince Wu we will need a formal proposal written submitted for the record. All statesmen will have an opportunity to review the written statement and submit questions and changes, which we will discuss at next week's meeting. Now, does anyone else have any new business?"

***

Kai's eyes shot open as he felt hands upon his chest. Groggily his eyes came into focus to see Yung inches from his face.

"Come quickly. It's Kuvira! They found Kuvira outside the village!"

Kai shook his head as he processed and saw the rest of their small crew's anxious faces in their shared room.

"But how can this be?" Mu asked the room, but no one looked his way.

"They're bringing her into the town square now. Let's go!" Yanten shouted, motioning Kai and the others to follow.

The boys all filtered out the room, Kai the last to leave, not bothering with even closing the door.

The sun was already oppressively hot. Kai, still in a daze, looked around for his companions. The alleys bloated with people screaming and jeering. Yanten whistled, getting Kai's attention. He and the other four boys were on the roof of their building. Kai nodded and used a small burst of air to propel himself up to join them.

Once he landed, the group started hopping roofs, following the crowd below towards the center of town.

Kai was still trying to wrap his head around what was happening. He had heard some talk of Kuvira during this trip. A lot of people expressed mixed feelings. She was a tyrant but had made some small corners of the kingdom just a little bit better. He had heard people in this village murmur such things, but there was no love for her right now, as Kai watched a Kuvira being escorted in a mosh of Earth Kingdom guards and vigilantes through the streets.

Cheng waved the others from the roof. "We can see better up here!"

Kai collected the air around him and shot himself to the local grocer's roof, and followed Cheng to the side facing the square. There were so many people around Kuvira she looked like she was one misstep away from sinking below them.

"How can this really be her?" Yung asked no one in particular. "She's supposed to be dead."

Kai felt a sinking feeling wash over him. Avatar Korra… Jinora… Chief Beifong… did they lie?

To be continued...

 

Chapter 43: The Pygmy Puma Came Back

Notes:

Thank you Toast for editing and keeping me consistent!

Chapter Text

“We’ve got to follow them,” Kai called out as he used a burst of air to launch onto the next roof. Once he cleared the gap, he darted close to the edge and peered down at the chaos of bodies as he ran.

The crowd was so thick with people. Arms were raised and waving as people hooted and hollered. Kai couldn't see Kuvira any more. All he could do was follow the townies, moving like a swarm, and trust Kuvira was still somewhere in the middle of it.

“Are you crazy? And what about our mission?” Yung asked as he stumbled to keep up with Kai.

Kai glanced back to see the Airbender group following after him. “Anyone who wants to stay, that’s fine, but I’m going.”

“We should get Lefty. They’re probably going to take her to the state capital. That’s the closest airfield,” Yanten shouted.

Kai stopped. The rest did as well, skidding a bit on the sloped tiles of the roofs.

“Good idea,” Kai grunted, his breath starting to fail him. “We can catch up with them on Lefty, no problem.”

Kai rushed back at the group, passing between Cheng and Chang. “Let’s go!”
***

The wind blew hard against the bow of a Cabbage Corp shipping vessel as it cut through the rough and icy waters near the Southern Air Temple islands. A few moments ago, the captain had made an announcement; they’d have to take the long way around the islands.

Kya cursed the rough seas under her breath from the balcony of the upper deck. Hitching a ride on a Cabbage Corp cargo ship was obviously not her and her mother’s first choice to get to Republic City, but it was still their fastest option despite the bad weather.

It’s going to be Korra all over again, Kya thought after taking the call from Tenzin urging them to start treating Rohan as soon as possible. How many years had her mother worked on Korra, with an unbreakable persistence undeterred by Korra’s surly moods?

Kya had recently learned part of the reason for the slow progress in Korra’s recovery was that she still had the metallic poison in her body, something she and her mother were blind to. Even now, Kya wondered if she could detect that presence in a body if faced with a similar healing challenge again.

Kya was hoping she could make time on this trip to have a conversation with Korra to learn what she could about the poison, how it felt once she was made aware it was still in her body.

“It’s rougher than a grumpy polar bear dog out here,” Katara muttered, pulling her fur collar to her neck. Kya jumped. She had been in too much of a daze with her musings to notice her mother had joined her.

“Ma, you shouldn’t be out here.”

“I want to see the islands. They remind me of your father.”

Kya softened. She took a few steps closer to Katara, so they were side by side at the balcony. She put her arm around her mother, quietly marveling at how short she had become. “Me too…”
***

Suyin looked around the conference room, feeling quite pleased with herself. Unlike the larger conference room used for the meeting of all state representatives the other day, the one she occupied now was intended for intimate meetings. Sofas and plush armchairs were littered around the perimeter, creating a circle. A few small end tables sprinkled here and there. Green and gold walls. Green and gold furniture. Green and gold coloring right down to the teacup she held in her lap. Suyin utilized Earth Kingdom national colors in decor as much as the next province, but she found the palace was excessive.

Suyin took a sip of her, no surprise, green tea. She was half-listening to the meeting, but it wasn’t anything too important. Her anxiety was now replaced with productive energy. After the presidential proposal meeting went so well, more talks would be happening soon, and candidates would start coming forward. She had her campaign to begin planning.

Suyin traded her teacup for a notebook to write down who to call back in Zaofu. She needed to assemble her own campaign team. She already had a few advisors in mind to be flown out as soon as possible. It was looking like she would be here for a while, so she should probably send for her family; Wing and Wei at the very least. She stole a look at Wu, who also seemed to have his mind elsewhere.

The door to the meeting room opened a crack, then swung wide and slammed into the wall with a loud clang. Everyone turned to the open doorway, startled.

Nine male Dai Li agents entered the room in a small v-shape, not unlike a turtle-goose flock. The one break in the circle of furniture around the room was at the entrance. The Dai Li had a captive audience.

“It’s the Dai Li…” someone whispered, followed by a chorus of murmurs.

“This is a closed meeting for state officials only,” a stout male representative of Chin called out to the intruders.

“The Dai Li. I’ve been wondering where you all snuck off to,” Suyin grumbled.

At the point of the Dai Li’s formation was a man with a golden armband; he stepped forward to speak. “We never left.”

Suyin blinked, surprised he had heard her.

“You have no right to be at this meeting,” the representative of Chin repeated with a pound of his fist. A few other members echoed the sentiment pounding on the tables nearest them.

Wu scooted a bit closer to Suyin in the loveseat they shared. “I don’t have a good feeling about this…”

Suyin patted Wu’s knee. “We can’t let them intimidate us,” she whispered as she rose. “So,” Suyin started, walking behind some of the other seated members. “Where have you been these past three years? I would have assumed your organization would have seized control of the capital when the queen fell.”

“We found our own path through the change of power.”

“Is this all of you? Is it safe to assume the majority of your organization merged with Kuvira’s forces and are now in prison?” Suyin asked as she continued to make her way around the room.

The Dai Li leader smirked. “Thank you for providing the perfect segue. It has come to our knowledge that Kuvira is alive. She was spotted outside of a farming village in New Gaipan.”

The room filled with gasps.

“Impossible, Kuvira is dead,” Suyin said with a wave of her hand. “And why would we be hearing this from you and not-”

Two palace guards and the staffer Satchi who met Suyin on the airdocks the day of her arrival, darted into the doors left open by the Dai Lee.

“News. From the aviation tower,” the staffer started between wheezing breaths.

The representative from Chin bolted from his seat. “Out with it, Satchi!”

Satchi nodded as he sucked in a few breaths of air. “Kuvira has been found alive.”

The Dai Lee leader smirked. “They are bringing her to the palace. She’s about half a day’s ride away.”

Satchi’s eyes bulged, having just had the words taken right out of his mouth.

“How can they be sure it’s her?” A stateswoman from Gaoling asked aloud.

The Dai Li leader didn’t wait for Satchi to answer. He stepped towards the woman. “A positive identification will have to wait until she arrives at the palace, but in the meantime,” his head swiveled and locked on Prince Wu.

“We are here to arrest Prince Wu for conspiracy to release Kuvira from her execution.”

The whole room gasped.

Wu clutched a decorative pillow to his chest and shrank behind it. “What?”

“No!” Suyin shouted, moving to stand in front of Prince Wu.

The governor of Omashu rose from his lounge chair. “That makes no sense. Kuvira, for all intents and purposes, stole the crown from Prince Wu. Why would he suddenly conspire to set her free?”

A majority of the people nodded, and again, the room filled with cries and side conversations.

“That’s preposterous!”

“Had to be someone else,” another added.

“She’s dead!”

“I can’t believe we were honestly going to execute the woman,” a representative from Omashu said to the woman seated beside her.

“We’ll she ended up dying anyway,” the other replied.

Suyin turned to address the group. She held up her hands in an attempt to silence the many shouts and cries. “Everyone, please!”

“I thought it was fishy crashing in the desert,” cried out one more representative as a hush fell over the room.

Suyin turned back to the flock of Dai Li. “You have no authority over this matter.”

“We don’t need your authority. The Dai Li serves the Earth Kingdom. Kuvira is an enemy of our kingdom, and therefore anyone who aids and abets her is one too. We are taking Prince Wu into our custody.”

Four Dai Li agents pushed past Suyin and were swiftly on either side of Wu. Two grasped him by the arm. The other two stood in front of him and behind him once he was on his feet. The agent behind Wu bent a pair of metal hands connected by a chain to cuff the prince’s wrists.

“Suyin!”

Suyin turned to the two palace guards beside Satchi. “Stop those men!”

When the guards hesitated, Suyin took it upon herself to raise her arms and hurl some metal plates onto the calves of the men holding Wu. The blow from the metal caused the men to stumble, but they did not entirely lose their footing.

“Suyin, what are you doing?” said Bashir, a representative from Omashu Suyin had befriended the other day in her quest for supporters, as he grabbed her by the back of the arm.

“No bending in the palace!” Satchi warned.

“We can’t just let them take Prince Wu…” Suyin whispered to Bashir.

“I’m afraid we’re going to have to…”
***

The rain made erratic tapping on the glass window above Mako's desk at the station. He turned around in his chair to look outside to see just how bad it was coming down, but it was too dark. His window faced the lightwell, and there was no lamp out there to shine any light on the situation.

Mako looked down at the stack of paperwork Lin had dropped on his desk before taking off to the island. She didn’t even ask if he was going anymore. He had desperately been trying to keep a low profile, but it seemed that the people in his life were making that impossible; Korra’s accident, her magazine article, and now Rohan’s injury. Mako needed to visit but just couldn’t seem to bring himself to.

Mako leaned down and opened the bottom drawer of his desk. He pushed aside a few folders and pulled out a copy of the Republic Magazine. It had been placed on his desk a few days ago with a note that read ‘Mako the dyke-maker.’

Mako had crumpled the note and trashed it immediately but couldn’t bring himself to do the same with the magazine. He didn’t have the strength to read it either. He stared down at his two past girlfriends. They confidently looked back up at him. Mako’s attention focused on the small text below the headline indicating the page number of their article.

The fingers on Mako’s left hand fidgeted as he considered reaching out and finally flipping to page twelve. Just read the damn article and move on. Instead, he pulled a folder from his to-do pile and was about to open it when the phone in Lin’s office rang. He looked over to Tan, who was getting ready for the night shift. Tan appeared to be unmoved by the phone, most likely because Lin’s office line was not the main number.

Mako ignored it for a few rings, and then curiosity got the better of him. If it was important enough to call Lin directly, he could take care of it, not like he had better plans this evening.

Mako walked around his desk and then jogged into Lin’s office to catch the phone in time.

“Republic City Police headquarters, Detective Mako.”

“Mako?” a familiar-sounding female voice called out.

“Speaking.”

“It’s Suyin. I take it Lin has left for the day?”

Mako unconsciously nodded. “Yes, she’s on her way to the temple.”

“Okay, I’ll call over there… I wanted to talk to Lin first on this, but…”

“Is something wrong?”

“Yes, it’s Prince Wu…”

Mako’s stomach lept. “What’s going on? Is he okay?”

“Listen, we probably shouldn’t even be speaking on this line, but he was arrested by the Dai Li who have emerged from hiding because somehow Kuvira has been found alive.”

“What?!” Mako shouted, taking a few rapid steps backward. The phone’s cradle came with him, nearly reaching the edge of the desk. His eye caught Tan’s, who had looked up from his boot shining. Mako took a few steps and pushed the phone cradle back to a safe spot on Lin’s desk.

“Go to Airtemple Island. I will call over there. Actually, do you by chance know how to get in touch with Tu?”

“I have the phone number of my family’s new residence in the lower ring.”

“Great, see if you can reach him there and have him meet me at Wu’s house, right away. I am going there now and will call temple island when I arrive.”

“On it,” Mako said and then returned the phone to its cradle.

Tan lazily looked up from his boots. “Anything I need to worry about?”

“Negative, just some drama with the soon to be in-laws.”

“Your brother is a smart man, marrying into money like that,” Tan said with a chuckle and a shake of his head. “Had things turned out differently, you both coulda been marrying rich broads.”
***

Mako commandeered a police vehicle and drove home as fast as he could, flipping on the siren only a few times to get through congested areas. He figured it wouldn’t be missed till morning, and even then, not even.

Once in his apartment, he threw off his uniform jacket and keys onto the couch by the door. The place was a mess. It has essentially become a storage locker. The boys would come in, dump off old clothes, and leave without giving the apartment a second look.

Mako noted that he and Bolin needed to talk about taking better care of the place. As he flipped through piles of mail and random flyers on their small kitchen table, looking for the postcard Grandma Yin had sent with the family’s new address and number, he wished that conversation had already happened.

Defeated, Mako plopped down in one of the two chairs, resting his elbows on the table as he grabbed the back of his head. He rubbed his hair a few furious times, then looked up. On the refrigerator was the postcard, held up by a souvenir magnet from Little Ba Sing Se, of Little Ba Sing Se.

Mako dashed out of the chair, ripped the postcard out from under the magnet, and grabbed the phone. He tapped the card on the phone cradle as he impatiently waited for someone to answer.

“Hello?” a hesitant female voice asked.

“Grandma?”

“Mako!” Grandma Yin said, perking up immediately. “It is so nice to hear from you! When are you and your brother going to come and see us with his fiance?”

Mako pinched the bridge of his nose and prayed for patience. “Soon, Grandma.”

“He better not turn out like his father and never let us get to know his bride.”

“Grandma, I need to talk to Tu. Is he around?”

Grandma Yin clicked her tongue against the roof of her mouth. “That boy has been so aloof lately. He comes and goes whenever he pleases, barely works a shift at the new fruit stand. I thought he was working with Prince Wu, a good government job, but now he’s saying that’s not happening anymore.”

“So he’s not home?”

“No, and I don’t know when he’s coming back,” Grandma Yin said with a sigh. “Will you tell Prince Wu to come by and talk some sense into that boy?”

Mako let out a stifled laugh.

“What’s so funny?”

“Nothing. Wu actually needs to see Tu, urgently. But Tu has to go to Wu’s place. Please pass this along to Tu as soon as you see him.”

“Alright... I don’t know when that will be, but…” Grandma Yin muttered.

“I know, but please tell him as soon as you can.”

“Alright, Mako dear, and don’t you forget to come to visit real soon.”
***

After Mako hung up with Grandma Yin, he rushed to Air Temple Island. The group that received him was small; Lin, Korra, Asami, Bolin, and Opal, basically team Avatar. It did mean they could cram into the phone room to listen to Suyin.

“We’ll leave first thing in the morning, mom, don’t start any more fights until we get there,” Opal said as she held the receiver close with two hands. “I love you.” When she heard her mother repeat the sentiment, she passed the phone to Lin.

“Suyin,” Lin grumbled, taking Opal’s seat. “You’re certain you don’t want me to come?”

Opal let out a sigh and turned to the group. “It can’t actually be her, right? We dropped her off in the Fire Nation, how many weeks ago?”

Lin turned around and eyed the group. “Can you kids take it outside?”

The group nodded and filed out of the phone room to stand in the hallway.

Bolin rubbed his chin thoughtfully as he stepped out the door. “Mako and I had this job when we were teens catching pygmy pumas. Did you know Republic City was crawling with them at one point? So we’d set traps in the alleys and cage them. Then drive them out to the city limits to let ‘em go, and sure enough, they’d be right back where we found them a few days later.”

The group groaned.

“What?” Bolin looked around, confused. “It’s instinctive. Creatures want to return to their home.”

“Kuvira turning up in New Gaipan is odd, but Bolin’s theory could support it. If she caught a ferry from any of the Fire Nation islands to either around the United Republic at a port in north or south Chuli or even Hong...” Asami said as she looked up at her mental map.

The others shared a look, having been unable to follow Asami’s geographical knowledge dump. She continued undeterred. “...Or she braved a port in the United Republic, some of those Fire Nation islands are so close to the river from West Lake. Though if she were heading to Ba Sing Se, she’d be better off staying on the river versus trekking through the region…”

Asami looked around the room. “But going to Ba Sing Se is a death sentence. When you dropped her off, she seemed committed to living a quiet life, right? No secret intentions for world domination?”

Opal shrugged. “I mean, she seemed to have made peace with it all, but I guess who the heck knows? We didn’t stick around to see if she had her fingers crossed behind her back when we asked her to play dead in the Fire Nation.”

“It can’t be her. Not unless someone found her in the Fire Nation and brought her to the Earth Kingdom. I believe in Kuvira. She would not have left willingly,” Korra urged.

“I trust your Avatar intuition,” Bolin offered.

“Are we expecting Tenzin to come back tonight?” Opal asked.

Korra shrugged. “He and Pema still haven’t slept here. Now that I think about it, Pema hasn’t come back once. The girls or Tenzin have been bringing her fresh clothes.”

“I’ll try calling the hospital, and if I can’t get through, we can send a junior airbender over with a note. You all can go ahead; I’ll wait for the phone to free up.”

As they moved through the halls, Zhou Rhen stepped out of the shadows. “I’m sorry to have eavesdropped, but I would like to accompany you on this mission. If you’ll have me.”

“Yeah,” Korra said with a weak smile. “Tenzin suggested you come with me anyway. Pack your things and be ready by six am by the docks.”

Zhou Rhen gave Korra a slight bow. “Thank you.” He then hurried down the hall to the male dorms.

Mako quickened his step to walk beside Korra’s wheelchair. “Who’s that?”

Korra looked up, a bit confused for a moment. “Oh yeah, you might not have met him. That’s Zhou Rhen. He’s with the White Lotus. He’s like an advisor, I guess? I’m mostly just humoring him at this point.”

“Does he know?”

“That I’m placating him?”

Mako groaned. “No, the other thing.”

Korra thought for a moment. Zhou Rhen came into her life after returning from her parents. Had Kuvira ever come up? “Shit, I don’t think he does.”

“Don’t say anything until you talk to Suyin first,” Asami added.

Korra nodded. The four traveled in silence for a while until they reached the dining-room door.

“I’m going to go check on Ikki and Jinora, make sure they are all set for bed,” Asami announced, stepping away from the handles of Korra’s wheelchair. “Anyone want to take over driving?”

Mako cleared his throat. “Let me.” He took Asami’s place at Korra’s chair’s handles and started pushing her into the dining room.

Bolin and Mako helped Korra hop out of her chair and down to a pillow at one of the long dining tables.

“Is it okay if I don’t go this time?” Bolin fidgeted with a divot on the table, worrying it with his pointer finger. “I really want to do this mover, and I’m a terrible liar… I don’t want…”

“Bolin, of course, it’s okay. Opal, Suyin, and I, and even Zhou Rhen can handle this.”

“I’ll come,” Mako blurted out. “Wu, he’s a pain, but he’s my friend. I’ve got to be there for him.”

Korra smiled. “That’s great. And you’ve got experience dealing with these government types. That’ll be a big help.”

Mako allowed himself to smile back.
***

“So what was the big news?” Ikki asked as she pulled her sheets up to her chin. She shuffled her lanky body as she tried to find a comfortable position.

Asami kneeled beside the bed to be at eye level with the girl. “Suyin asked Korra to go to the Earth Kingdom tomorrow. She needs Korra’s help sooner than she anticipated.”

“Are you going to go too?”

Asami shook her head. “No, I’m going to stay here. It’s best if I’m not meddling in world affairs alongside Korra just yet.”

“I’m sorry, I know you’re going to miss her an awful lot,” Ikki sighed, relaxing into her pillow. Her mouth opened for a small yawn. “We’re going to miss her too, right, Jinora?”

Asami had seen only the back of Jinora, curled up in bed on the top bunk. She had been like a skittish creature all night, hiding her eyes, staying only as long as necessary. Asami assumed it was because she and Korra hadn’t had a chance to talk since her outburst the other day. Asami had a feeling Korra had already forgotten, but clearly, Jinora hadn’t.

“Of course,” Jinora murmured from above.

Asami pressed her hands on the fabric of Ikki’s sheets, ironing out a small area. As she fidgeted, she prayed the words about to come out of her mouth would sound as casual as possible. “And you’re sure you’re good sleeping here the whole night?”

A snort came from above. Asami looked up, but couldn’t see Jinora as she looked back down to Ikki, whose cheeks had pinked after Jinora had pipped in. Feeling a bit awkward, Asami tried to tuck a few strands of her hair that had fallen loose behind her ears.

“All good,” Ikki whispered.

“Okay then. If you want to say goodbye in the morning, I’ll come to wake you before I leave,” Asami said as she used the bed to help ease herself off the floor.

“Night!” Ikki called out as Asami left.
***

Mako left soon after Asami returned to the dining room. They agreed they all should go to bed early. Asami and Korra bid Bolin and Opal a good night, and they went to their separate quarters.

Asami began to slide Korra’s bedroom door shut. As she did, she snuck a peek outside to check and see if anyone was lurking in the halls. Satisfied, she closed the door entirely. Her hand lingered on the wood, wrapping it a few times with her fingers.

Asami could feel Korra, who was already in bed, looking over at her.

“I’m going to miss you…” Korra murmured, fidgeting with her hands.

Asami bowed her head for a moment, letting the fact that this was their last night together for a long time sink in. “I’m going to miss you too…” she uttered, barely above a whisper.

“I’m doing the right thing… right?” Korra asked.

Asami chewed her lip for a moment. “Yes,” she said before moving to sit behind Korra on the bed. Asami’s body pressed against Korra’s back and her legs down beside Korra’s own. Asami slid her arms to wrap about Korra’s waist and then rested her chin on Korra’s left shoulder.

“I don’t want to let you go without me, but I have to,” Asami whispered, turning her head to kiss the spot where Korra’s neck met her shoulder.

“Another mission without you… It’s not the same. I always feel reassured when you’re there to think things through…”

Asami kissed the space again. She moved upwards, dragging her lips along the soft skin of Korra’s neck until she reached her jawline.

Korra closed her eyes and turned her head towards the side Asami was on, nuzzling her cheek into hers. “We shouldn’t…”

“Why?” Asami asked.

“My leg… I can’t…” Korra weakly protested.

Asami continued to plant kisses on Korra’s neck. “You don’t need your legs for what I’d like to do.”

Korra turned her head as far as it would go to meet Asami’s lips. As they kissed, Asami moved her hands up and down Korra’s torso, lifting her nightshirt. She used her left hand to hold the fabric up and her right to trace Korra’s firm abdomen’s curves and muscles.

Asami let her hand rise a little more, teasing the soft skin just beneath Korra’s breasts. Korra arched her back, wriggling a little at the ticklish sensation. Asami raised her hands further, using only her middle two fingers up to caress her way up the slope of Korra’s breasts until she reached her nipples. She then pressed her two fingers into them and massaged them in a circular motion. Moving her thumb over to give them the occasional squeeze, causing Korra to let out little gasps.

Asami’s pale right hand moved from the breasts and slid further down to the rim of Korra’s pajama bottoms. Her index finger dipped down below the waistband, skimming the skin above her pubic mound and then back out.

Asami moved her lips to Korra’s ear. “Is this okay?” she breathed, darting her fingers beneath her bottoms again, tracing the line where Korra’s leg met her torso.

Korra nodded, moving her hands to Asami’s legs at her side, clenching them for support.

Asami took Korra’s earlobe in her lips and gently tugged at it while her right hand entirely disappeared into Korra’s pajama bottoms.
***

Korra’s breath started to return to normal when Asami removed her hand. She wrapped her now free hand around Korra’s middle and gave her a squeeze, while kissing her neck a few more times.

“Come sit in front of me now,” Korra said between breaths.

“Are you sure, your leg-”Asami started.

“I think the same logic applies. Come here,” Korra said, patting the spot in front of her. Asami slid out from behind Korra, who scooted herself back up against the headboard. Asami then crawled into the free space.

Korra’s attention swiftly moved to the bottom of Asami’s night slip and started to pull it up and off. Asami raised her arms, allowing the removal of the garment.

Korra then pinched a bit of Asami’s underwear and tugged. “These too.”

Asami obliged. As she slid them off, Korra embraced her, pulling their bodies close.

“You know it’s not fair that I get naked when you didn’t,” Asami whispered, instinctively wrapping her arms over her breasts as she rested her head back towards Korra’s. Korra gave her cheek a peck, then another, moving downward.

“I want to take in as much of you as I can before I go.”

Korra pressed kisses down Asami’s neck, to her back. “I’m going to miss your smell,” Korra said, crossing over Asami’s shoulder, to her armpit. She raised Asami’s arm up and kissed what she could reach beneath it.

Asami squealed and leaned her body forward in an attempt to free her arm from Korra’s grasp but couldn’t. “I worked all day. You don’t want to go under there!”

Korra nuzzled her nose in Asami’s armpit. “I do. I think your real smell is even better than your perfume.”

“I’m dating a polar bear dog,” Asami sighed, lifting her other arm. “Then don’t forget this other side.”

Korra moved her head to Asami’s other armpit, giving it a few pecks, and ran her hands up and down Asami’s raised arms. Eventually, she grabbed Asami at the wrists and guided their arms down to Asami’s lap.

“Besides my stink, what else do you like?” Asami asked, leaning back again.

Korra chuckled. “You don’t stink, well, at least not right now.”

“Rude.”

“I really like your hands,” Korra said, raising them so she could see them over Asami’s shoulder. “Such delicate-looking hands can do so many amazing things.”

Asami chuckled and stretched them out to admire. “Yeah, they know a thing or two.” She fluttered her fingers like waves.

Korra moved her hands to Asami’s hips and squeezed them. “I like your hips. They are so soft and curvy. I like your legs. I think they’re what make you taller than me since our torsos seem to be the same length. But it’s okay, cus I like looking up to your face.”

Korra’s right hand moved downward. “I like touching you everywhere, but especially…”

Asami pressed her body into Korra’s explorative touch.

Korra rested her face on Asami’s shoulder, at the crook of her neck. She closed her eyes to focus solely on where she was touching and the sensation of that part of Asami.

Despite Korra’s efforts to go slow, she could sense a build-up by the way Asami’s back became straighter, and her breaths grew more rapid.

Without notice, Asami moved away from Korra’s touch and turned her body around, now facing Korra. She supported herself with one arm around Korra’s neck and sat back down between Korra’s legs, with her own straddling Korra’s thighs. She leaned forward and pressed her lips to Korra’s a few times.

With Asami’s free hand, she took Korra’s right, brought it back down between her legs, and guided two of Korra’s fingers inside her. Then moved her own hand to meet the other around Korra’s neck, pulling her in for another kiss.

Korra eagerly returned the kiss but took her time before moving her fingers. She closed her eyes to strengthen her other senses to remember this moment, this feeling. Cautiously she curled her fingers forward. Asami responded by rocking her hips into Korra’s touch and deepening the kiss, encouraging Korra to reach further as she pressed back up inside.

Asami startled Korra by moving her hand between her legs and started stimulating her again. Korra broke their kiss to take in a sharp breath as Asami entered her.

“Is it okay if I touch you again?” Asami breathed into Korra’s mouth.

Korra nodded and brought their lips together again.

They gently swayed back and forth in their tangled embrace. The tension inside both of them rapidly grew, feeding off the sensation of each other.

Asami pressed her face into Korra’s neck as she lost control in an attempt to stifle her cries. Her sounds sent Korra over the edge too.

Asami could feel Korra moving to leave her, so she leaned her hips in to keep Korra inside.

“Stay,” was all Asami could breathlessly whisper into the crook of Korra’s neck. Korra nodded and rested her head on Asami’s shoulder.

Crickets sang as they silently held each other. Asami absently played with Korra’s hair with her free hand.
“You’ll be careful, won’t you?”

“Yes,” Korra whispered back.

“Don’t take any unnecessary risks or go anywhere alone. Even if it’s that putz Zhou Rhen, just keep someone with you.”

“I will.”

“And call me. You don’t have to every day, but whenever you can.”

Tears burned at the corners of Korra’s eyes. “I promise.”
***

The sun was just starting to creep up when Korra wheeled herself towards the temple docks. Her travel bag was packed and resting in her lap. Opal and Bolin were already there waiting. They walked over to meet her.

“Where is Asami?”

“She already said goodbye and left.”

“I see where the rest of us stand,” Opal said with a snort. She shot Korra a reassuring smirk and then cocked her head when something caught her eye. “What’s this, I see?”

Opal stepped closer to Korra and dipped two fingers into her shirt collar. She pinched the fabric and pulled it down to expose a shockingly large hickey. “No wonder Asami snuck outta here; she didn’t want to face down this display of affection.”

Korra slapped a hand to where Opal was prodding. “What?”

“You mean, you don’t know?” Opal swung her head back and let out a cackle. “Bolin come here. You’ve got to see this.”

Bolin lumbered over and tried to peak at Korra’s neck, but her hand was protectively covering the spot. “C’mon Korra, let me see!”

Korra reluctantly let her hand relax and slide off her neck. “How bad is it? Be honest.”

Bolin leaned in and moved some fabric away from Korra’s neck to get eyes on it. Bolin winced at the dark blotches that ran from the middle of Korra’s neck to her clavicle. “It’s pretty bad. I mean, you can just barely see it peeking out from your collar, so as long as you keep that shirt on at all times…”

Korra blushed and shielded her neck. “I thought it was weird she was making such a fuss over adjusting my collar this morning…”

“Clearly, she was trying to make a statement. Why back away from that now?” Opal asked with a big grin.

Bolin put a hand to his chin. “I’m sure it was just a moment of passion. Hickeys seem like a good idea until the next morning.”

Korra’s blush deepened as she slumped in her chair. “Can we please be done talking about this now? Before anyone else shows up and notices.”

“Can we just get a quick measurement on it? I honestly think that’s the biggest one I’ve ever seen,” Opal teased, pretending to look for someone who could take measurements. Zhou Rhen came around from behind a building and was heading towards them.

“I bet he’s got something I could use.”

“Opal please!” Korra moaned.

“Alright, I’ll save it until he notices it on his own. We’ve got a long ride together.”

“Shall we get going?” Zhou Rhen asked as he got closer. “Or are we waiting for anyone else?”

“Mako’s going to meet us at the docks in the city, so we can get moving now,” Opal said, waving them to the steps. “Bolin, you want to bend us down one last time?”

Bolin nodded, then motioned his arms to summon the earth below them to create a platform. Lin had shown him the technique she used to get Korra up and down from Jinora’s ceremony after Korra got out of the hospital. He then eased the group down to the water level.

“You good to do that for yourself in Ba Sing Se?” Bolin asked as they descended.

Korra smirked. “I just let you do it now to ease your guilt for letting me go into that damn building.”

“Hey!”

“Don’t worry. I’ll be fine. Who knows, I might be in crutches by the time we meet again.”

Bolin smiled and leaned down to give Korra a crushing hug. “Hurry back soon.”

Korra felt a pang in her heart as her bones popped, the reality of leaving sinking in as Bolin pressed her organs together. He eventually let go.
Korra felt a few tears sneak out as her body returned to its decompressed shape.

Opal moved in to give Bolin a hug and kiss, then she, Korra, and Zhou Rhen boarded the small motorboat that would take them ashore.
***

Jinora watched the boat carrying Opal, Korra, and Zhou Rhen skim through the choppy bay waters with ease from atop a large boulder. A pang of guilt began to gnaw at her stomach. She let Korra leave without making things right between them.

Jinora wanted to apologize, explain herself, but the words kept dying at her lips. She was too mad, and it wasn’t even with Korra. Korra just happened to be in front of her when the wrath she felt for Rohan’s circumstances had first escaped. The boat was almost out of sight. There was nothing she could do about Korra for a while, so it was best to set it aside in her mind.

Jinora eased herself down on the rock. It was big enough for her to sit in the lotus position. She closed her eyes and joined her fists together. In a few deep and steady breaths, she was in the Spirit World.

Jinora looked up to the vine-tangled mess where the Wang Shi Tong library now rested. “I’ve got to try for Rohan.”

Jinora did the climb up the gnarled tree until she reached a point where she could just walk up the massive vines like a staircase that spiraled around the tree’s trunk. As she neared the entrance, she came upon a few Knowledge Seekers resting outside. They slept curled up in splotches of light that managed to pierce the thick foliage above. Jinora smiled as one fox-like creature rolled on its back, long slender legs in the air, blissful in the spirit world sun’s rays.

As soon as Jinora crossed the threshold into the library, she could hear Wan Shi Tong swooping towards her.
“You again,” his deep voice boomed.

Jinora looked up and saw his black form spiraling down upon her. Even though she had faced down the giant owl before, she still felt her stomach clench nervously. “You remember me?”

Wang Sh Tong landed in front of Jinora. His talons flexed on ornate tile floors. “Not a lot of human faces make it this far anymore.”

“I thought you said no humans were allowed.”

“Yet here you stand, a descendant of Avatar Aang.”

Jinora felt her body relax a little, reassured she would at least get the opportunity of seeking information. “My brother, he is badly hurt. I don’t know if there is any way to heal him.”

Wang Shi Tong opened his wings. “Then you better get looking.” With a few blustering flaps, the owl was gone.

Jinora wandered through the aisles, racking her brain of where the best place to start was. A Knowledge Seeker brushed past her without giving her a second thought. It stopped a few feet in front of her and eased up on its hind legs. Carefully with just its teeth, the fox-like spirit slid a book out far enough so it could grasp it in its jaws. Then with a swift jerk of the head, it got the book free and scampered away.

“I should probably see if one of them could help…” Jinora muttered to herself as she walked over to the section where the Knowledge Seeker just took a book from. Jinora traced the characters with a finger. “Physics…”

Jinora heard a shuffle and looked up. The aisle across from her had another seeker sniffing around. Its bushy tail was beating against the books’ covers. Dust particles flew off and hovered in the still air.

“Excuse me, if you aren’t busy, can you help me please?”

The seeker’s head perked up as it continued to dust.

“I need help finding information on advanced healing techniques.”

The seekers tail twitched a few times, finishing off the row of books it was cleaning, its eyes locked with Jinora’s for a few long moments until finally, its eyes closed, and it gave a slight bow of the head. Then it began to trot away. Jinora hurried after.

Jinora followed after the seeker through the maze-like aisles of the library. They passed the occasional break in bookshelves to see entrances into other rooms, artifacts in display cases, and study nooks. One such nook caught Jinora’s attention. A small desk sat tucked in between two bookshelves with a lit oil lamp hung over it. Books were piled, with dozens of slips slicking out like little tongues bookmarking pages. What caught Jinora’s attention was the folded paper that looked like a desk placard that read ‘reserved for Yorru.’

“Has another human been coming here?” Jinora asked, but the fox spirit was gone. Jinora stepped over to the desk and inspected the contents. She tentatively reached out a hand to pick up one of the books when she heard a sharp yip. Jinora lept and turned around. A seeker was right behind her, a scroll in its jaws. It motioned with its head for Jinora to step away. The spirit plopped the scroll on a stack and then sat down in front of the desk. Jinora stepped back a few feet, and when it was clear it wasn't going to leave until she did, she started down the direction she last saw the seeker assisting her.

Jinora never did find that Knowledge Seeker. It must have been leading her to a place at the far end of the library. She found a section on different devices created to assist people with mobility issues. Nothing worth bringing back home since what was available now was likely more sophisticated, but it was interesting seeing how people learned to adapt.

Jinora wanted to keep searching, but she could feel her worldly body calling her back, aching for breakfast. She quickly jotted down a few notes and then allowed her spirit to dissipate.

To be continued….

Chapter 44: Ba Sing Se

Notes:

Thank you ToasterMarketing Board for editing!

Chapter Text

Kai and his band of Airbenders managed to track Kuvira’s transport all the way to Ba Sing Se but lost her once the airship docked at the palace. They had attempted to land on the royal airfield, but a dozen guards and boulders came alarmingly close to Lefty’s shaggy underbelly. The bison roared as he galloped into the sky and out of harm’s way.

The boys and bison circled overhead to witness Kuvira’s removal from the airship. Even as high as they were, they couldn’t miss the platinum sarcophagus-like casing Kuvira was kept in being wheeled down the ramp. After the visual confirmation, Kai gave a tug of the reins and steered Lefty off to the lower ring to find overnight accommodations.

Kai felt strangely at home in the lower ring. He had still spent more of his life scrounging in slums than in the care of the Air Nation. It wasn’t much of an upgrade in glamour, but three meals a day, clean clothing, and your own bed was a luxury he couldn’t imagine living without anymore.

The group secured a room at a rundown inn, but not for free like they were accustomed to as missionaries. Kai hated to spend their petty cash, but this was an unprecedented circumstance.

A whole day passed since they arrived, and Kai could feel his group getting restless. A few local children passed a patched-up ball around with them out in front of the inn for the better part of the morning. Scrubby-looking kids missing baby teeth, though some seemed a little too old to have that kind of gap in their smiles still. Around lunchtime, they got called home. It was a relief for Kai; he had hoped none of them lived on the street.

Now they were just hanging out in front of the building, cooking in the high sun. Yanten managed to find a girl to chat up while the rest of them leaned against the building’s tired streetside wall, watching.

“How will we know when Avatar Korra’s arrived or if she’s even going to come at all?” Cheng moaned, pushing off of the wall and shuffling into the street.

Kai rubbed his forehead, tired of this conversation already. “It’ll be a Future Industries airship flying over our heads. We can’t miss it. Korra will come. Word of Kuvira has already spread through the capital.”

“You sure you’ll be able to tell when it’s that high in the sky?”

“I’ll grab Lefty soon as I see any ship flying overhead. Why don’t you and the others go see what good you can do in the burrow if you’re so anxious to do something.”

Chang snorted. “City folk are suspicious of anyone coming around to help.” He made air quotations for the word’ help.’

“Let’s go to the market square and get something to eat,” Mu said, pawing at his paunch, stepping into the street beside Cheng.

Chang looked to his brother Cheng and gave him a shrug. “Do that?”

Cheng nodded his head. “Fine.”

“I’ll wait with you,” Yung offered quietly at Kai’s side.

Kai smiled. “Thanks, buddy.”

***
The left side of Korra’s forehead pressed against the glass window next to her seat on the airship. Puffs of fluffy white clouds obscured any possible points of interest below. It was like drifting an endless field of koala-sheep. A few hours into the flight, all conversation had dropped off, and the propellers' steady thrum guided the rest of her group asleep.

Absently, Korra’s hand found its way to the spot on her neck. She couldn’t feel anything different, despite knowing what was there. Her face flushed as she felt her body wake up and shift towards the physical state she was recollecting. She curled up and pressed more of herself against the window in an effort to conceal the pinkness on her cheeks, not that anyone was looking.

Korra closed her eyes and allowed her mind to drift back to last night. After she and Asami had exchanged words, they continued to hold each other. She didn’t know who moved first, but they were rocking together again. Her fingers must have found the right spot because Asami stifled her cries by latching onto Korra’s neck. She wished it hadn’t left an obscene mark, but not enough to take back what caused it.

Korra noted the anxiety she felt about being intimate was all gone. Now she wished for time, time to explore this part of their relationship. The forty-eight hours they stole away together at Asami’s family home was like a dream. Their near future would likely continue this way, pockets of intimacy during breaks in the chaos. Korra had been a full-fledged Avatar long enough to know chaos appeared to be the natural order.

Korra heard a gravely male voice in her head speak that last thought. She jerked herself up from her seat.

“Zaheer!” Korra spat out the name like a curse word. She scrunched her face and shook her head to get him from her mind. It had been a long time since he had seeped into her consciousness.

“It’s not the natural order. I am the Avatar. I have to believe in the goodness of people. I fight for balance. I can’t let the words of a jaded and defeated old man taint my world view.”

Korra repeated the words in her head over and over like a mantra until she eventually drifted off to sleep, feeling assured in her belief in balance.

***
Hours later, Korra woke with a jump. Her face peeled off the glass of her window. She groggily glanced around the cabin to find Mako was awake. Their eyes met across the aisle. He got up from his spot and sat down in the free seat beside Korra.

“So, how’s the leg doing?” He asked after clearing his throat.

Korra looked down at her cast. The wild-eyed dragon Meelo painted snarled up at her. “Fine. Inconvenient.”

“Bolin said it was a close call.”

“It wasn’t my finest moment. I’m hoping to keep up my treatment plan while we’re on this trip. Maybe someone at the palace can recommend a good healer.”

“I’m sure we can find one.” Mako shuffled in his seat, readjusting himself.

“Speaking of, how is Rohan?”

Korra kept her eyes on the dragon. “Doctors think he’s paralyzed.”

“That’s awful. It’s hard to imagine an accident that could cause that happening on Air Temple Island.”

“Right?”

“Tenzin and Pema, they must be…” Mako shook his head. “I’m sorry I haven’t been around much.”

Korra took her eyes off her cast and turned to Mako. “Yeah, where have you been?” She grinned as an assurance she wasn’t mad.

Mako scratched at the beard, still struggling to fill his jawline. “I needed some time to recalibrate after the whole Kuvira thing…Just in time for the new
Kuvira thing.”

The two stared ahead for a few moments in contemplation, the ship’s propeller’s steady purring filled in the void.

“I hoped that when she got dropped off in the Fire Nation, that would be the end of it, but part of me wondered if….” Korra bit her lip and shook her head. Many false starts formed at her lips. She adjusted in her seat again uncomfortably. “If it could ever be as long as she was alive. There’d always be that risk.”

“I know, but it seems like she’s blown her chance at a new life. We can’t let someone else or ourselves get taken down for her now.”

“I hate this,” Korra whined, sliding down in her seat. Mako put a hand on her slouching shoulder and squeezed it.

“We’re still going to try and help her, as best as we can. We just have to take care of ourselves first.”

Korra looked up at Mako and nodded. He quickly took his hand back and set it on his lap.

“I hope Wu is okay,” Korra said wistfully.

Mako felt anxiety and annoyance bubble inside him, a knee-jerk reaction he still would get at the sound of Wu’s name. The trauma of being at his beck and call even fresher than he’d like to admit. “Yeah, I can’t see him dealing with imprisonment very well.”

“They probably aren’t serving him his daily requirement of cucumber water.”
Mako smiled, remembering the Wu who had become his friend. “We should be sure to have a glass ready for him when we get him out.”

“What are you two laughing at?” Opal asked, leaning over Korra’s headrest.

“Wu’s expense,” Korra offered.

“Oh, well, I’m sure there will be more of that to come on this trip. Are we almost there? What time is it even?” Opal asked, followed by a big yawn.

“Yeah, I checked in with the crew. We’ll be landing shortly.” Mako brought his wrist closer to his face to examine his watch. “As far as time goes… It’s four am in Republic City. Ba Sing Se is eight hours ahead, so it’s noon, the day after we left.”

Korra and Opal groaned.

“That layover in Rong to gas up and give the crew a break did cut into our time significantly.”

Opal pushed off the headrest and stretched her arms above her head. Her balled-up fits punching into the air one at a time. “I can’t believe I slept the whole way. I don’t think I realized how tired I’ve been until now that I’m actually rested. Too bad this isn’t going to be any sort of vacation.” Opal finished her stretch and draped herself over the headrest again. A hand stanked down and poked at Korra’s cheek. “Korra, you’ve had two vacations recently. What are those like?”

Korra swatted at Opal’s prodding finger, but the Airbender was too quick and retracted it.

“You convert the energy of the giant spirit death beam into a spirit portal and not need a little downtime after.”

“Is that what you and Asami are calling it?”

Korra’s face flushed, and her eyes narrowed. She was still raw from Opal’s teasing earlier, and Mako, now being present, made it all the more uncomfortable. She snuck a look at her ex-boyfriend. He wore his detective's face. A perfectly composed neutral expression that was impossible to decipher.

“What about a group vacation after this?” Opal asked, changing the subject.

Korra wrinkled her nose. “You and Bolin are going to drag us along for your honeymoon?”

“I was thinking more of a weekend trip to Ember island or something?”

“I could probably get the time off for that,” Mako offered.

Opal slapped her palms together. “Alright, Mako, that’s the spirit! Maybe we can find you a cute babe for you while we’re there. It’s a big singles spot, I hear.”

A crewperson popped into the doorway and gave a small wave. “Please fasten your lap belts. We’re about to start our descent.”

Mako shot up from his seat. “I better hit the bathroom.”

Once Mako cleared the door, Korra whipped her head around to face Opal.
“What were you doing making a comment like that?”

“What?” Opal pushed off Korra’s headrest, putting some distance between them. “He knows you and Asami are dating.”

“But we don’t need to wave it in his face,” Korra flourished, a hand around for emphasis. Flitting it in the space Mako once occupied.

“It’s exposure therapy.”

Korra furrowed her brows.

“It’s going to come up over and over again on this trip. Did you forget it’s the cover story of a heavily circulated magazine?” Opal groaned and grabbed at her forehead. “Listen, I wasn’t around for the love dodecahedron or whatever, but you two dated what, three years ago? I’m tired of all this dancing around the topic. We’re all friends. We’re all adults. It’s time we all got comfortable with the group dynamic change and move on, cos I don’t see things ending between you and Asami anytime soon.” Opal’s hand ferreted down Korra’s collar. “Not with displays of affection this grand.”

Korra bent a puff of air in Opal’s face, and she withdrew her hand reflectivity to shield herself.

“No bending on the airship!” Opal cried with a grin.

***
Once the airship was fully docked, one of the crew rotated the large latch to open up the main door. The captain had called in a request for a ramp; otherwise, she would have released the stairs usually stashed in the ship's belly.

The wind blew in through the open door as the crew member watched the ramp be pushed towards the vessel. He reached out as it got close to guide the railing flush to the doorway. It settled into place with a clang.

“Ready.”

Opal led the group, followed closely by Zhou Rhen, Korra, and Mako on wheelchair duty. Mako gripped the handles tight, so Korra didn’t go speeding down the rampway. A small group of people gathered on the landing pad. Opal felt a wave of relief wash over her when she could make out her mother in the small crowd.

Once on the ground, Satchi dashed towards them, followed by two guards. His eyes searched for Korra, and his eyebrows sagged as he noticed she was the one in the wheelchair.

“Avatar Korra,” he stammered. “We are honored and relieved you have come to see us through this crisis.”

“Crisis?” Korra muttered to herself.

“The statesmen and representatives are eager to meet with you, but I am sure you would all like to freshen up first after such a long journey. We have a suite ready for you and your party.” Satchi gestured towards the entryway into the palace. “Follow me.”

Opal snuck a look to the group where her mother was and dashed over once Korra and the boys started following Satchi.

Suyin ushered her daughter into her arms. “I’m so happy to see you.”

“Mom,” Opal sighed as she squeezed her mother’s waist. “You’re okay?”

Suyin let go, and the women separated to an arm's length. “Yes, things have been moving quickly. I want to brief Korra on all that has happened.”

“Hopefully, you know where her room is because it looks like we’ve lost them.”

“I do, but I want you to come with me first. We need to speak with your brother before rumors get to him.”

***
Mako tuned Satchi out as he rattled on about their ‘Avatar worthy’ accommodations. He had spent enough time in the palace to know where everything was located or who to call if you didn’t.

The two guards were in step with Satchi, who had taken over the reins of Korra’s wheelchair to talk her ear off. This meant Mako could slink behind the group unnoticed.

His eyes scanned the halls. Who in the palace did he recognize? How many new faces? Who sidestepped into a hallway as they approached. Whose conversations ended as they passed by. The mood in the palace had changed. Mako could feel it. Was it witnessing Wu taken hostage? The knowledge that the Dai Li was still operational? Kuvira presence, or the Avatars?

They reached a small stairwell, and Satchi stopped Korra’s chair as if taken by surprise.

“I’ll have a ramp put in right away. We can wait-“

“No need,” Korra said, thrusting out her fists and then pulling them to her chest. The four stone stairs flattened. The forest green runner slipped and pooled at the bottom.

“Oh, how resourceful of you, Avatar Korra,” Satchi stammered as he moved them up the ramp. As he passed by one of the two guards, he rose on his toes to reach their ear. “Be sure to find someone who can make a more permanent fix to this.”

A short walk further, and then they stopped outside an ornate door. It was already open, a chambermaid clutching a handful of rags, and a bucket rushed out. She bowed deeply as she scurried by.

“Here we are, the Avatar Suite. Avatar Aang himself had stayed in this room when visiting King Kuei,”

“What about Queen Hou-Ting?” Korra asked with a smirk.

Satchi cleared his throat nervously.

Korra shrugged. “She never offered this room to me either.”

The group entered the suite, and their senses were overwhelmed with the lavish gold decorations strewn about the interior.

“I can’t see Avatar Aang being comfortable in a room like this….” Zhou Rhen murmured as he entered the room.

“It, of course, had been redecorated by the late Queen. It even survived the sack of the castle. Queen Hou-Ting had several rooms' doors made secret. We only recently rediscovered this room along with a few others. We did replace the exterior door.”

“Well, if you want to redistribute some of this ambiance, knock yourselves out,” Korra murmured, wheeling herself out of Satchi’s grasp.

A few more guards appeared in the doorway carrying the group’s luggage. Satchi waved them in. Three large men with several bags slung over their shoulders looked more like pack-mules than anything else. Satchi shooed them out once the bags were dropped, along with the other guards who had escorted them.

Satchi shuffled to the door and then bowed deeply. “I’ll leave you all to get settled. Your welcome cocktail hour starts at seven in the former throne room.”

“Cocktail hour?” Korra looked to her companions. “That doesn’t seem appropriate.”

Satchi clasped his hands together and wrung them. “There should be some fanfare for your arrival. It’s customary for a nation hosting the Avatar to make you the guest of honor.”

“Well, last time I was here, there was very little fuss over me,” Korra grumbled as she eased herself out of her wheelchair and into a cushy-looking green loveseat.

“Where’s Opal?”

***
The metallic groan of the door to the cellblock turned the heads of the four guards keeping watch of the final entryway. They sat around a small table engaged in a game that involved small square tiles. They slapped their pieces face down as Suyin and Opal passed through the doorway into the chamber with the men.

“The Professor’s mommy’s back,” one whispered.

“Not so loud. She’ll hear you.”

Suyin marched right up to them. “We would like to speak with Bataar Jr..”

“Of course, Mrs. Beifong, if you could just sign in for us first,” one guard said, tapping a piece of parchment on the table with a pen.

Suyin’s face scrunched up. “I didn’t have to do this before?”

“New policy,” the guard replied with an uninterested shrug.

Suyin grumbled as she snatched the pen from the guard's outstretched hand. “For me or everyone?”

Once done, Suyin passed the pen to Opal, who quickly took her turn to jot her name down.

The guard who monitored her last visit put one of his large hands on the door handle. He paused before opening it. “Any gifts this time, Mrs. Beifong?”

“No.”

Suyin marched past the other prisoners' cells, eyes forward on a singular mission to reach the end of the hall. Opal tried to keep her mother’s pace but found her gaze drifting to the side. Some prisoners were slumped over their cots like bored hog monkeys, while others stalked back and forth along the bars like a pygmy puma. Opal felt like she was walking through a sad and rundown zoo like the kind she heard would travel to the Earth Kingdom. All sorts of animals in barred carriages hitched together like a train.

Suyin would always refuse their entry into Zoufu. Her mother had a very high standard for traveling entertainers, likely based on her own experience. She swore there was never any abuse in her troop, that she had only heard from her companions about the rampant poor treatment of humans and animals alike in the industry.

Baatar Jr. was waiting for them at the bars. It was clear he had not expected two visitors.

“Opal,” Baatar Jr. breathed.

“Not happy to see me?” She quipped back.

Baatar Jr. shook his head. “Surprised, but I know why you’re here.”

Suyin pursed her lips. “So you’ve heard the news.”

Baatar Jr. clasped the bars and rested his head between two of them. “Some of the guards couldn’t wait to start taunting me about it. I thought it was just another attempt to wear me down, but if you’re both here, it must be true.”

Opal and Suyin exchanged a look.

“She’s alive, isn’t she?”

Suyin slipped a hand over her sons. A clang came from the other side of the hall. The guard stood with his club resting on the cell's bar he banged to cause the commotion. The prisoner it belonged to was clearly startled by the unexpected attack.

“No touching!” The guard barked.

Suyin maintained eye contact with the guard as she took her time retracting her hand from her Bataar Jr.’s. “It seems she is.”

“How?” Bataar Jr. pressed.

Suyin slouched. “Well, we’re not really sure.”

“What do you think is going to happen to her?”

“We don’t know, but we wanted to assure you-”

Bataar pressed his face against the bars. “Assure me of what?”

Suyin found herself at a loss for words. What was she doing? She hoped to intercept the news of Kuvira to control the narrative of what Bataar Jr. heard, but what could she tell him that was any different. The truth of what actually happened to Kuvira could never be uttered. How could she explain to him what lengths she went to spare that dictator’s life while her own son stared down twenty years in a cell? This was a mistake. She came too soon.

“Mom?” Bataar Jr. asked, bringing her back to the conversation.

“I just want to know you are okay.”

Bataar Jr. shrugged. “Doesn’t change much for me, I guess. The conclusion is going to be the same. She’ll be executed, and….”

A few tears formed at the creases of his eyes. He pulled down his still patched-up pair of glasses to brush them away. “Nothing I can do about it. Kuvira made her choice back then. If she somehow escaped the crash, she blew her; what second, third chance at life? How do you help someone like that?”

Guilt formed in Suyin’s stomach. She felt like she swallowed one of her twin’s power discs. “I don’t know.”

***
Korra, Mako, and Zhou Rhen loitered in the Avatar suite's sitting room dressed in their formal clothing. Mako donned a simple grey suit. Zhou Rhen wore a dressier version of his robes in a rich shade of red. His silky black hair in a top knot with a simple gold clasp. Korra was wearing the Watertribe inspired dress she had worn to Verrick and Zhu Li’s wedding. Korra had pushed back when Asami pulled it out of her closet at the temple, but now she was grateful to have it. Korra felt envious that Mako and Zhou Rhen just knew they might need something nice and packed their dress clothes independently.

A knock on the door startled Korra out of her thoughts, and they all turned to the door. Mako dashed out of his seat and opened it just a crack. When his eyes spied Opal and Suyin, he opened it up all the way.

Suyin dressed for the event, but Opal was still wearing her travel clothes. She excused herself to her room to change. Suyin plopped down next to Korra on the loveseat and let out a sigh.

“Have you left your suite at all?” Suyin asked the group.

Mako shook his head. “No, we’ve been waiting for you.”

“Good,” Suyin said curtly, folding the bottom of her dress robes off her feet. “It’s been a real, pardon my crudeness, clusterfuck. The Dai Li are holding Wu at some unknown location, while the palace has custody of Kuvira. No one is offering any insight as to who, what, how, or why. Everyone has been keeping their cards close.”

“Do you think we can see Wu?” Mako asked.

Suyin waved a hand at Mako. “I doubt it. I don’t even know where the Dai Li have tucked him away. He’ll be present at Kuvira’s trial, but I’m sure heavily guarded.”

Korra grasped her forehead. “Another trial?”

“For her newest crime of escaping punishment.”

“When is the trial?”

“Three days,” Suyin replied, holding up the number of fingers. She made eye contact with all of them. “Hope you all came here with some ideas.”

“And Kuvira?” Korra asked.

Suyin shrugged. “We campaign for you to get access at the very least. I figure tonight will be one of our better shots at it.”

“Who do we need to convince?” Zhou Rhen asked.

Suyin cocked her head and peered at the Zhou Rhen. “Who are you again?”
Korra turned to Suyin. “Zhou Rhen. He’s a friend and adviser.”

“Just curious.” Suyin held up her hands defensively. “Regarding who to convince, I’m not fully sure. Who exactly is in charge here? In many instances, it either comes down to a vote or some deference to Wu. See, this is why we need a president.”

Opal entered the room. She wore a red dress robe with a silky orange sash across her shoulder that wrapped around her waist. “Well, mother, looks like Kuriva put a wrench in your grand political plans.”

Suyin's fingers found the frown forming on her brow. She recalled an image of Kuvira and her son the night they told her they were leaving Zaofu. “Figures she’d always play a part in my decision to participate in greater Earth Kingdom politics.”

***
Korra and the group arrived at the throne room right at seven, but it made them appear fashionably late, given how crowded it was.

Korra looked around, hardly recognizing the place. It has been stripped down to the wallpaper and light fixtures. The raised platform where the Queen once sat and glowered at Korra was now a simple stage with a podium and microphone.

Satchi noticed their presence and started shushing people in his march towards them. The crowd saw and turned to where he was heading.

“Everyone, please welcome our honored guest, Avatar Korra!” Satchi raised his glass towards Korra. The room followed suit.

Korra glanced around. Some of the crowd seemed genuinely excited to see her, whereas others more skeptical, guarded.

“Would have been nice if he’d given us a chance to get our own drinks first,” Suyin murmured.

As if on cue, a waiter slid into view with a tray of flutes containing bubbling lime green liquid. “Sparkling sake?”

“I’m going to do a sweep of the party, find out who’s here who’s not,” Mako grumbled, snatching a glass. He quickly disappeared into the crowd.

Suyin’s head swiveled around the room. “There are my new friends from Omashu. Let me go say hello and wrangle them over to you.” She was gone not long after the words left her mouth.

Opal took a big swig of her sparkling beverage. “And then there were three.”

They looked around the room. There were as many people talking as were carefully eyeing them.

“Shall we journey into the eye of the storm and get this over with?” Korra passed her drink to Zhou Rhen to free up both hands. She grasped her wheels and propelled herself towards the mass of people. Opal and Zhou Rhen dutifully followed.

As Korra suspected, the politicians were waiting out of politeness before making their approach. After a few revolutions of her wheels into the party, she got ambushed with greetings.

As pleasant as everyone pretended to be, there was an undeniable awkwardness. Korra could see the struggle behind their eyes as they debated the best way to greet her. Of course, she’d never know the real reason. Was it because she was seated in a wheelchair while they towered above, or the article detailing her relationship with another woman? It could even be more likely due to the Dai Li re-emerging and taking hostages.

Whatever it was, it wasn’t enough to deter anyone from trying to gain her favor in the upcoming election. She was the Avatar and her opinion still held value. That brought Korra little comfort. The guilt of her privileged social standing began to gnaw at the back of her mind. She became lost in her thoughts, politely nodding at those talking to her until a young man's face appeared directly in front of her. He was crouched, offering a hand.

“Avatar Korra, may I join you?”

Korra shook the hand offered to her and inspected its owner. He was about the same age as her, maybe a few years older. He looked of Earth Kingdom descent, olive complexion, and green eyes. His mid-length nut brown was slicked back and divided by the top being pulled back into a small ponytail. The rest tickled his shoulders. His strong chin was covered in prickles of dark hair, maybe a day’s length.

“My name is Bingwen, of Gaoling,” he said, giving Korra’s hand one last shake. He tried to take it back, but Korra held it tight. Korra blushed as she realized what she was doing. A hand shot out from over her shoulder and grasped Bingwen’s.

“I’m Opal Beifong.”

Bingwen rose from his crouch to meet Opal. “Suyin’s daughter, right?”

“You are correct.”

“Opal Beifong, you are blessed with airbending, right?”

“Correct again,” Opal replied with a bright smile.

“I’m envious.”

“Are you a non-bender?”

“No, just a mediocre Earthbender who feels like he should have been born an Airbender. When I heard airbending was going around the Earth Kingdom like the flu, I was so upset. I actually could have had a real chance at it had I not already been born a bender.” Bingwen turned his gaze on Korra and then gestured to her. “Only one among us gets the privilege of access to all the elements.”

Korra stretches out her arms and wiggles her fingers. “I can’t lie, it’s nice having options.”

“Is it often mood-based?” Bingwen asked, casually resting against Korra’s chair.

Korra considered for a moment. “My mood and circumstances. Sometimes you have to go with the element you have the most of around you.”

“I’d love a demonstration sometime.”

“Well, see how the next couple of days play out, and you might get it,” Opal offered, looking around the room.

Bingweng ran a hand along one of the handles of Korra’s wheelchair. “That reminds me, has anyone given you any grief yet about the article?”

“Nope, no one’s even mentioned it until now,” Korra said and then shrugged. “Not that it’s a whole lot different to the way it’s been in Republic City.”

Bingwen blew a raspberry. “Stuffy old codgers. Avatar Kyoshi had a female lover, and they still worship every spec of ground she bent.”

“Oh, really, I feel like someone should have mentioned that to me before,” Korra said as she gave Zhou Rhen a sidelong glance.

“She never made a public announcement out of it,” Zhou Rhen replied with a bit of a huff. “And time has a funny way of fading certain details in the public consciousness.”

Bingwen reached out and grasped Zho Rhen’s shoulder, giving it a friendly squeeze. “Which is why I have brought it up whenever possible in casual conversation.”

“So that means Korra, you better get ready for a lot of people to drop that little fact nugget to you on this trip,” Opal offered with a jab to Korra’s shoulder.

Korra shifted in her seat. “I mean, it is interesting.”

“Too bad you can’t get Avatar Kyoshi on the spirit phone and ask her for all the juicy details,” Opal snickered.

Korra frowned and mentally added ‘juicy details’ to her long list of reasons not being able to talk to her past lives sucked.

“Think about it, Kyoshi crib notes.” Opal looked around the group dumbfounded. “Man, the Avatar had a thousand lives worth of experience.”

Korra held up a hand. “Opal, believe me, I have already gone down this road. I have to figure it out just like everyone else.”

“So you're admitting you need help in that department?”

Korra scowled and turned her body away from Opal.

“If you want smut, I’m sure there might be some saucy old scrolls kicking around somewhere in this palace. The Queen’s father had quite the collection of erotic art I hear,” Bingwen offered and then took a big swig of his drink. “Though Hou-Ting was such a prude, I bet she had it all burned.”

Opal cocked her head to the side. “You just have the pulse on all the hot gossip, don’t you?”

“I have my sources.” Bingwen looked past Opal. “Speaking of, I need to pay my respects to one of them over at the snack table.” His eye caught an older gentleman’s. He raised his flute. Bingwen waved in response and then crouched back down to Korra’s eye level.

“It was an honor to meet you, Avatar Korra. I’ll be waiting for that demonstration.” Bingwen then rose and nodded to Opal and Zhou Rhen. “Lovely to meet you both as well.”

Not long after Bingwen left, Mako returned to the group.“What’d I miss? Who was that?”

Opal let out a long sigh.“Some super hot guy from Gaoling who was not, not flirting with Korra.”

Korra blushed. “He is startlingly handsome.”

Mako’s mouth fell agape. “You think some guy’s handsome now?”

“Yeah?” Korra said with a shrug.

Mako took a step closer, his body angling down towards Korra.“But what about Asami? You're into girls now.”

“I never stopped liking guys. I learned that I like girls too.”

“Well, you still shouldn’t be talking like that about another person when you are in a relationship!”

“Oo, he’s defending Asami’s honor now!” Opal hooted.

Zhou Rhen took off his glasses and started to rub at his eyes. Opal noticed and got into his face.

“C’mon, you need to be writing this down in your little book. This is that complex relationship stuff you’re supposed to be archiving or whatever.”

“Opal!” Suyin barked in her mom's voice as she approached the group. She grabbed the flute from her daughter and put it on the tray of a server darting by. “I can hear you from across the room.”

Opal looked around and noticed the party had given their group a wide berth. It was dawning on Korra and the boys as well.

“You're just like your father. Mild-mannered until sake passes your lips,” Suyin sighed.

“I don’t think it’s sake. Opal's been teasing me all day.”

Suyin's eyes widened. She looked down at Korra, aghast. “You’ve been picking on Korra?”

“Mooooom!” Opal moaned.

Suyin grabbed the handles of Korra’s chair and started wheeling her away from Opal towards a group of representatives from Omashu. “Why don’t you three stay here while I introduce Korra to some people who can actually be helpful tonight.”

Korra grabbed her wheels, stopping the chair short. Suyin bumped into the back of the wheelchair, startled.

“I’d like to wheel myself.”

“Of course,” Suyin whispered so only Korra could hear. “I respect that. You want to show strength.”

Opal, Mako, and Zhou Rhen watched the two women depart their group and join another.

“My mother has the biggest crush on Korra,” Opal sighed. “Now I know how Kuvira must have felt when Mom took our side.”

“Yeah, that was kind of embarrassing,” Mako said, pulling at a pinch of his short beard hairs. “I did manage to get a little intel.”

***
“Avatar Korra, these are some of my new friends from Omashu,” Suyin said, gesturing to the small group of three facing her. “Governor Jin.”

A stocky, balding man gave Korra a big grin and a small bow.

“Lieutenant governor Ching Mei.” At her name, a tall and waif-like woman waved. “And treasurer Xue.” A slight man with glasses, the youngest looking of the three, put a hand to his chest and leaned forward.

“So who's back home running the place then?” Korra said, cracking a grin. No one was impressed.

“Below us is the state council, which is composed of elected officials,” Ching Mei answered.

Korra nodded. “Of course.” She fought the flush of embarrassment creeping up her neck to her cheeks. She made a mental note to ask for a brief lesson on Earth Kingdom political positions. She needed to be taken seriously on this trip.

Suyin cleared her throat. “Avatar Korra has a request, and I was hoping you could help us with it.”

Governor Jin beamed. “Of course.”

Korra took a breath and adjusted her grip on her wheels.

“I’d like an opportunity to meet with Kuvira before her trial.”

The three Omashuians shared a look.

“I think that is a reasonable ask for the Avatar,” offered Lt. Governor Ching Mei.

“I think so too.” Suyin started. “I figured maybe a simple vote on the matter. In case there are any among us with reservations on the idea can be heard. I was thinking we could call a meeting tomorrow..."

Governor Jin waved a hand at Suyin. “You're fussing too much. We should just ask now.” He raised his flute and clinked the gem on one of his thumb rings onto the glass. Conversations died down until the whole room eventually went silent.

“Hello!” Governor Jin started. He raised his glass so people far in the back could know who was talking. “Just a quick bit of business I wanted to bring to the group. Avatar Korra is requesting an audience with Kuvira. I believe her station should give her that right.”

Mako, Opal, and Zhou Rhen watched Governor Jin speak from a buffet table. Mako jabbed Opal in the side. “Try to pay attention to who opposes on the left side.” He then grabbed the back of Zhou Rhen’s sleeve and pulled him close. “Watch the right side, make a mental note of who says no. I’m going to try to get to the other side of the room before the vote happens.” Mako let go of Zhou Rhen.

“I don’t know who any of these people are!” Zhou Rhen whined as he watched Mako quickly disappear into the crowd. Mako tried to feign an urgent need for the bathroom as he pushed past the guests.

“All who agree to allow Avatar Korra to meet with Kurivra?” Governor Jin bellowed out to the group. A chorus of yay's and yes's boomed. “All opposed?” The opposition was much softer. Governor Jin looked around to verify fewer mouths were moving in dissent. “The yay’s have it. Back to the party, everyone!”

The room applauded and jeered for a few moments, and then attendees quickly went back to their several small conversations. Suyin gave Korra a wink as she clapped her own hands.

“Do you think I could maybe do it tonight?” Korra asked, looking around the Omashu group.

“What was that?” Ching Mei asked, easing down towards Korra.

“I’d like to see her tonight, if possible,” Korra repeated.

Ching Mei straightened out and leaned to Governor Jin. “What do you think?”

“If we can track down Satchi, I’m sure he’ll arrange it.” Governor Jin put a hand on Xue’s shoulder. “Be a good lad and go fetch him.”

Xue blew a frustrated breath from his nose and then gave Governor Jin a nod.

***
Xue was able to locate Satchi, and the group convinced the slightly intoxicated man to let Korra visit Kuvira. The only catch Korra had to go alone. Her hands clenched and unclenched on the rubber wheels of her chair as she watched the two palace guards escorting her negotiate for clearance to pass through the final set of doors.

A loud clang rang through the hall. The large bolt in the doors unlocked, signaling the permission to enter had been granted. One guard turned back and waved Korra forward. “Are you sure you feel comfortable seeing her alone, Avatar Korra?”

“It’s just a broken leg,” Korra explained. She was getting the feeling she’d be repeating this phrase often during the course of this trip.

“Don’t worry. Kuvira's in one of our special platinum cells.”

Korra was about to protest that it wasn’t necessary anymore but quickly caught herself. Perhaps that was how they were able to snatch her up so easily. Unless Kuvira had any non-bending combat training, they had left her pretty defenseless in the Fire Nation.

The doors into Kuvira’s cell room opened, and all guards stepped aside for Korra to pass through. Korra wheeled herself forward, her grip loosening as sweat coated her palms. Was she more mad or scared? She still couldn’t sort her feelings. Her heart skipped a beat as she cleared the doors and could see a familiar-looking woman clinging to the bars, her head cradled between two.

As Korra got closer, things began to fall apart. The notch in her hairline on the right side of her forehead wasn’t there. The woman’s eyes were green but paler. And the signature beauty mark was more tan, like a freckle, and closer to her nose.

Korra expected relief to wash over her, but no such feeling came. Who was this woman, and what would they do with her? Korra looked back to see the guards peaking in. She made her face neutral. “Can we have some privacy?”

Embarrassed, the men scrambled to shut the doors at the same time. They closed with a loud thud and a few hushed voices arguing.

The two women considered the other for a moment in silence.

“So, who exactly are you?” Korra asked, cocking her head to the side.

“You know I’m not Kuvira?”

Korra nodded.

The woman clumsily adjusted her grip on the bars. “This has all been a crazy misunderstanding. No one will listen to me.”

“What’s your name?” Korra asked.

“Lian.”

“Has anyone like ‘official’ seeming come and speak to you? Someone who would have maybe known Kuvira, known you weren’t her?”

Lian thought for a moment, then shook her head. “I don’t know. Everything happened so fast. I had just relocated to New Gaipan to start a new life. I left my husband, you see. I was so worried he would come after me, so I didn’t leave the house much. One day I heard a violent knocking at my door. When I opened it I was ambushed. They kept calling me Kuvira. I tried over and over to tell them they had the wrong person. They marched me to the town square, to the capital, and then flew me here.”

Korra wheeled herself a few feet closer to the bars. “Are you a bender?”

Lian shook her head.

Korra let out the breath she didn’t realize she was holding. “I mean, at a glance, you strongly resemble her. But the longer I look at you, the more I see the differences.”

“You’re the Avatar; they’ll believe you.” Lian cracked a desperate smile. “You can get me out of here, right?”

“Yes, but I have a feeling not as quickly as you may hope.” Korra looked down at her hands tightly grasped around the wheels. “Some people might want to believe you are Kuvira.”

“Why?” Lian stamped her foot.

The sound brought Korra’s gaze back to her. Lian’s eyes pleaded. Korra’s stomach tightened.

Lian continued, “who would want such a thing? The world is a better place with her dead and gone.”

Korra took in a breath. “I’m going to try and figure this all out. In the meantime, you need to hang tight.”

***
Korra’s head throbbed as she propelled herself down the hallway back towards her ‘Avatar suite.’ The wheels of her chair skimmed through her palms. The rubber was starting to get warm from the speed. She prayed Mako and the others had left the party by now and returned to the room. She couldn’t go back to the party and continue to put on airs, not after what she just discovered.

Korra rounded a corner and almost crashed into Satchi and a pair of guards.
“Avatar Korra,” Satchi started.

Korra pulled her chair back a few revolutions to put some distance between them. Did Satchi know she wasn’t the real Kuvira? Did Satchi now know that she knows that woman isn’t Kuvira? Korra felt herself become cross-eyed as her thoughts unraveled.

Satchi took a step forward. Korra turned her chair to angle her body away protectively. Her eyes glanced around the room to see what could be bent at her or by her.

“I have a group of Airbender’s requesting an audience with you,” Satchi said with a strained smile. “Apparently, those watching the airfield figured since we were partying, why not them too?”

Satchi shot an evil eye at the men accompanying him. “I know it’s late and been a very full day for you, but they insist they know you personally-”

“Of course, see the Airbenders to my room. I’ll meet with them there.”

Satchi put a hand to his chest and bowed. “As you wish.”

Satchi and the guards maneuvered past Korra and headed down the hall she just had come through.

Korra let out a breath and then reached for her wheels.

***
Inside the Avatar suite, the group spread out around the sitting area. Their uncomfortable dress shoes kicked aside, and heavy accessories dropped on the coffee table. Suyin and Opal claimed the armchairs. Zhou Rhen had the love seat to himself. Mako started unbuttoning his top shirt buttons as he paced around the room.

“So in my head, I’ve been calling them ‘The Six.’ Whenever a motion would come up that I thought would really help people, like clockwork, these six governors would be part of the opposition. After the crash, I was able to find out that one of them secured the designs for a lighting chair. They were all too eager for a public execution. Then tonight, they voted against Korra seeing Kuvira.”

Zhou Rhen raised his hand. “Lightening chair?”

“An execution device commissioned by the Earth Kingdom. There apparently was a vote on the method that Wu and I were not made aware of, among other things…”

“It’s fortunately gone. Burned up in the crash.” Suyin huffed.

“You were there as well for the rescue mission?” Zhou Rhen asked

Suyin’s eyes widened. She had forgotten Zhou Rhen was not a part of the circle of trust formed during that mission. She didn’t even know what he knew. An opportunity to confirm with Korra hadn’t yet arisen.

Suyin waved a hand at him. “Goodness no. Zaofu’s too far away. The ship blew up, so I just assume it’s gone-“

“Oh, it’s gone," Mako said with a sweeping gesture of his arms. "The whole thing was like a fireball. It was a Cabbage Corp ship. Asami often mentioned their shoddy craftsmanship would eventually cost the Earth Kingdom. I used to believe it was bitterness about not getting their business, but that day changed my mind.” Mako finished with an awkward smile.

Suyin watched Mako ramble. It reminded her of her future son-in-law’s similar habit in awkward situations. “So what states are these six governors from? I have a hunch, but-” Suyin didn’t finish, but instead just gestured to Mako.

“Jein Sin, Bai, Ru, Kun, Kerkaw, and Siaw Jong.”

“Those are…” Suyin scrunched her brows together as she pictured the states in her mind. “Those states are all right outside of Ba Sing Se.”

Mako took a step towards Suyin. “Really?”

“Huh,” Suyin leaned back in her seat. “I wonder what their aim is.”

The room got quiet as they pondered.

“Sounds like they don’t like Kuvira,” Zhou Rhen offered. “They must not have benefited under her regime?”

“Did any?” Opal muttered. She kicked up her feet on the coffee table. “A beef with Kuvira doesn’t make these governors unique.”

Suyin, seated in the armchair beside Opal, swatted at the back of her daughter’s legs. Opal flinched. Suyin pointed to the floor. Her daughter groaned and moved her feet off the table.

“The improvements to poor states were all done under duress or to individuals willing to sell her weapons, dress her soldiers, or buy her favor. I didn’t hate her ideas, but she ended up being exactly what I feared I would become of myself had I forced myself as the fixer of the Earth Kingdom.”

“What are they going to do with her?” No sooner did Zhou Rhen pose the question, the main door swung open. It banged into the wall with a thud. All heads turned at the noise and watched Korra wheeled herself through the doorway.

“It’s not her,” Korra murmured out of breath.

Mako ran to the door to help Korra close it as she propelled herself further into the room. Mako nearly had the door touching the frame when Kai’s face appeared in the crack.

Mako flung the door back open to reveal Kai and his group of Airbenders. Kai didn’t wait for an invitation and started marching into the room.

“Korra, I’m so glad you’re here,” Kai said as he came to her side. He paused when she noticed the chair she was seated in had wheels. “What happened?”

“Long story, just a broken leg.”

Kai nodded, accepting her answer. He looked around the room to see who was with Korra. He smiled at Opal. “Good to see you, partner.”

Opal got up from her reclined position in her chair and made her way to Kai to shake his hand. “Likewise, but what brings you all this far?”

“We followed Kuvira to Ba Sing Se. We were at the village she was caught in.”

“They marched her through the streets,” Yung added, stepping to Kai’s side.

The other three boys were all settled in the room now, too, leaning angst the wall. Mako closed the door and leaned against it.

“So, what’s the plan?” Kai asked.

Korra and the rest exchanged looks. Kai’s gaze locked on Korra, so she decided to answer. “There is a trial in three days. We uh, just got here, so we’re still trying to gather information.”

“Where are you all staying?” Opal asked.

Kai turned his attention to Opal. “The lower ring.”

“You should stay there. We don’t think the palace is safe.”

“What should we do? We want to help,” Kai pressed. The other boys nodded their heads enthusiastically.

“Give us a day or so to regroup and gather intel. Write down where you're staying so we know where to find you,” Opal said, wandering to a nearby side table. She rummaged through its one small decorative drawer.

Zhou Rhen dug into his long sleeve and pulled out a pen and his notebook. “I have something here.” He offered it to Kai, who accepted it and then started scratching down the information.

Opal slammed the drawer closed. She moved over to address the other Airbenders. “In the meantime, you need to continue your mission. See what kind of aid is needed in the lower rings. I imagine it’s a lot.”

Cheng groaned. “We already told Kai this. Those people are suspicious of our help.”

Opal frowned. She motioned back to Suyin. “You can at least find out what is needed. We got folks here who can improve their lives in more long-term, meaningful ways. An on the ground perspective would be really valuable.”

Cheng sucked his teeth. “Alright.”

“I know it’s not as glamorous, but this is the kind of stuff that really changes people's lives for the better.”

Chang, Yung, Mu, and Yanten nodded obediently. “Now fly back to your hostel. It’s late.”

The Airbender boys started to file out of the room, Opal tailing behind them. She figured it would better if they had an escort out of the building. They could get snatched up by the Dai Li, and who would ever know? If something happened to her, at least she had people who’d realize she was gone hopefully in time.

Mako closed the door once the Airbenders and Opal were out of sight. He whipped around to look at Korra, who was sitting sheepishly in her chair.

“Yeah, so…”

“It’s not Kuvira?” Mako shouted.

Suyin threw a finger to her lip and shushed loudly.

Mako held up his hands defensively. “I’m shocked, sorry.”

“Wouldn't it be more surprising if it was her?” Zhou Rhen asked innocently.

Korra grabbed her forehead as it dawned on her Zhou Rhen’s ignorance of their secret. She still hadn’t concluded what the best course of action with him was in that regard. She already determined Kai was a no-go. How could they conspire with him and somehow keep his four companions out of the loop? Telling them was not an option. Recently reformed youths, even with Airbender teachers, could not be trusted with a secret this big.

Korra felt eyes on her. The group must have been waiting for her to speak while she had pondered. “Of course. I think we were all just under the assumption it was her because how could they mistake someone else-”

Mako moved to the loveseat and sat down to be at eye level with Korra. “Yeah, how could they”

Korra cleared her throat. “It’s kinda crazy, but she really does look like Kuvira.”

Suyin leaned in, intrigued.

Korra continued. “Like even from the door, it was like her. Once I got within a few feet, the differences were apparent. But I think only to someone who actually knows her. If all you knew her from were posters or watching her in a crowd speaking, you wouldn’t know the difference.”

“So what do we do? Come out tomorrow and let everyone know they got the wrong woman?” Mako asked.

Suyin pursed her lips. “Do you think anyone else knows?”

Korra shrugged.

Suyin rose from her seat and moved around the sitting area. “We keep it to ourselves for now. Someone else could know this woman isn't Kuvira, and if that person exists, what benefit would there be to punishing Kuvira all over again?"

To be continued...

Chapter 45: Republic City

Summary:

***Day Korra left for Ba Sing Se***

Notes:

Thank you TheToasterMarketingBoard!

Chapter Text

After Bolin caught a little breakfast at Air Temple Island, he made his way back to the city. He arrived at Shey’s office a little before nine am. After a few unresponsive knocks, he started to worry he had shown up too early, but at the third attempt, the door opened. Izzi peered through, sleepy-eyed.

“Bolin, come on in,” the small woman said, opening the door all the way and waving Bolin in. He entered obediently.

“Where is everyone else?”

Izzi stretched out her arms to the ceiling. The oversized sleep-shirt she was wearing drifted above her knees with the movement. “Should be here any minute with breakfast and tea.”

Bolin took a seat at the meeting table and watched Izzi move about the room. She picked up a bundle of clothing on the floor and then disappeared behind a curtain.

“Are you living here?” Bolin asked.

“Just temporarily, my parents and I aren’t getting along right now. Shey lets me crash here when that happens,” Izzi replied from behind the curtain.

Bolin looked down at the table. Izzi’s comment reminded him of the similar stories he heard from his fellow gang members that were close to his age crashing at the hideout along with him and Mako. Bolin used to feel a tinge of jealousy when his peers would talk about their parents. But he quickly learned in the gang that just because you had parents did mean your life was all that better.

The office door banged opened, and Shey and Lan rushed in, both carrying takeout bags.

“Hi, Bolin!” Lan said with as much of a wave as she could manage with full hands.

Shey dropped her bags on the table and took the seat across from Bolin.“I’m so glad you’re already here. We’ve got great news!” One bag full of pastries slumped, and a few sesame balls rolled onto the table. “That guy from the hospital, Jon Yuen, he’s in.”

Bolin smiled. “That’s great.”

“We’ll be getting straight into the table read when everyone else arrives.” Shey leaned across the table towards Bolin. “I was hoping you’re free afterward so we could do a little extra work between you and Jon Yuen.”

Bolin nodded. “Yeah, Opal’s out of town for a while, so I’ve got an open schedule.”

Izzi appeared from behind the curtain, dressed and refreshed. Shey pulled back from Bolin, waved Izzi over to the table, and pointed at the breakfast offering. Lan set down her bags, which contained more food and disposable cups, plates, and napkins.

Shey grabbed a sausage roll and a napkin. She placed them in front of her on the table and started picking small flakey pieces from the doughy puff. “We’ve got everyone cast now. Well, accept one role, but Izzi will be reading it for now and playing them worse-case.”

Lan passed a plate to Bolin. He took it and then poked around the pastry bag to see if one caught his eye. “What’s the part?”

“The little girl,” Izzi answered, taking a seat next to Shey, so it was an even two and two on each side of the table.

“The one me and Jon Yuen end up adopting at the end?”

Shey nodded. “Kids are tough to cast, so we figured the role is small, and Izzi’s on the shorter side. I can spare her for a few scenes.”

Lan took a bite of her red bean paste bun. She covered her mouth with one hand as she spoke. “There are certain camera tricks we can do to make her seem even shorter.”

Bolin chewed and nodded. He thought back to his time making movers with Varrick. The man seemed to know all the special effects tricks, putting the background on a loop to make it appear like they were moving or scratching the film to create Pabu’s laser eyes. All stuff Varrick would explain in great detail and a speed Bolin could hardly keep up with. 

“With the role cast or not, I figure we do a read-through today and then get right into rehearsing the rest of the week. If that goes well, we start shooting scenes as early as next week. We want this to premiere while Avatar Korra and uh,” Shey cleared her throat. “Miss Sato’s relationship announcement is still relevant,” Shey rose from the table. “The hope is the conversation will continue, and through that, maybe the minds of the citizens of the United Republic who are skeptical about the legitimacy of gay relationships will realize it’s no different. That love is love.”

When Shey finished, Izzi put down her pastry and started clapping. Bolin quickly joined her. 

Shey blushed and turned away. “Scarf down your breakfast, guys. We gotta somehow make more room in here before everyone else shows up.”

***

Early afternoon, Asami traveled back to Air Temple Island to check on Ikki and Jinora. She didn’t feel bad leaving work since she arrived so early in the morning. Asami had basically put in a full day. Instead, guilt gnawed at her for leaving Korra so immediately after rising. She just couldn’t bear waiting around to say goodbye. 

She woke up that morning surprised to feel arms around her waist. Korra was not supposed to sleep on her side with the cast but had ended up spooning her sometime in the night.

Asami laid still, soaking up the feeling of Korra wrapped around her. The soft skin of her stomach pressed against Asami’s naked back.

The light in the room started to change, indicating the early stages of pre-dawn. Korra needed to start getting ready, so she pulled herself out of the other girl's arms. Korra mumbled in opposition to the sudden absence of warmth. 

“Time to get ready,” Asami whispered as she moved back to Korra’s side, sitting on top of the covers.

Korra’s sleepy eyes blinked a few times, and then she smiled. “I like this view first thing in the morning.” She reached up a hand to brush the back of it along Asami’s bare collar bone. The hand then fell lower, caressing the top of Asami’s left breast, stopping shy of her nipple.

“You need to get up,” Asami said with all the willpower she could summon as her sleepy girlfriend caressed her naked chest.

Korra cooperated, and the two quickly got dressed. No need to pack since it was taken care of the night before.

Asami's stomach clenched as she watched Korra seated on the bed, picking at a loose thread on her pants. She just needed to get into her wheelchair, and then she was ready to go to the docks. 

Asami pushed herself to move over to her girlfriend. She crouched down in front of Korra, placing a hand on her right leg. 

“I’m going to go.”

“So soon?” Korra whispered.

Asami could only muster a nod. She then lifted her head to bring their lips together for a firm but quick kiss. When Asami moved away, she could feel Korra straining her neck to keep them connected, but she had to stay the course. It took everything in her to leave the room. Even now, she felt like she was walking around without a piece of her heart.

Jinora was nowhere to be found on the temple grounds, but Ikki was in the courtyard watching a few newer recruits try their luck through the wind gates. It was hard for Asami to believe that Ikki was likely the most senior Airbender on the island at this moment. She noticed Asami approaching and waved.

“Look at you holding down the fort. I ought to make a recommendation for some tattoos.”

Ikki beamed, then hesitantly touched her forehead. “I want them so bad, but I also do not want to shave my head.”

Asami reached out and touched a snip of Ikki’s bangs. “It’ll grow back.”

“It took like a year and a half before Jinoa had anything she could put up!”

Asami moved her hand to prod Ikki’s part. “Maybe they could just shave down the center where the tattoo goes.”

Ikki swatted Asami’s hand. “That would look even worse! Like some balding old man.”

Asami giggled. “So, Master Ikki, I did have a spiritual question for you.”

Ikki perked up. “Yes, my child,” she said in a deep voice.

“I was wondering if you could teach me how to meditate?”

“You’ve never done it before?”

Asami shook her head. “I want to be able to go to the Spirit World. I thought if I could do that, I could meet Korra there while she’s away.”

“Aww!” Ikki squealed. “You want to have Spirity Rendezvous!”

Asami smiled and nodded. “Something like that.”

“That’s gonna be tough. I only just recently learned how, after basically growing up meditating.” Ikki watched Asami’s shoulders slump. She closed the distance between them and tugged on Asami’s arm. “Let’s give it a shot. Who knows, being around the Avatar all the time might have rubbed some spirit mojo onto you. I bet together we can figure it out.”

“Thank you, Sifu!”

Ikki started to pull Asami across the courtyard. “To the Gazebo!”

They swiftly arrived and settled in the center of the small structure.

Ikki walked around Asami. “So first, we got to get you in the position.”

“I have seen Korra meditate,” Asami said, lowering herself down. She was glad she had chosen to wear slacks.“She sits something like this, right?”

Ikki examined Asami’s lotus pose. “That's good.”

“But I never remember how she does her hands.” Asami filtered between several iterations of elaborate hand positions.

Ikki giggled. “Just put your knuckles together,” she said, demonstrating with her own hands. “No fingers are involved.”

“That seems too simple.”

Ikki sat down beside Asami. “The concepts around meditation are simple, but in practice, it can be challenging. The most important thing is to clear your mind and try to let go as much as you can.”

“Let go…” Asami murmured. It took Ikki a long time to get into the Spirit World. What could an eleven-year-old possibly need to let go of? Was there hope for her at all?

“So we’re going to close our eyes,” Ikki’s eyes followed her own verbal instruction. “And the best way to start is to focus on your breathing. Take a big breath in and then slowly let it out.”

Ikki and Asami both took deep breaths of air and then let it pass back out through their lips.

“Try to be aware of how it feels, like what your body needs to do in order to take in that big breath of air and what it’s like blowing it out. This is to help distract your mind from the things you want to think about.”

Asami let out a long puff of air. “So I don’t meditate on an issue, I thought maybe-”

“That’s advanced stuff. Your first goal with meditation is to not think about anything, and you’ll be surprised to find what things your brain brings to you.”

“So I’m going to clear my mind, to see what my mind thinks about on its own? Like daydreaming?” Asami said, taking in another big breath of air.

“Yeah, kinda. But deep, deep daydreaming. I once came upon a memory from when I was a baby. Jinora had a stuffed lemur I desperately wanted to play with, but she wouldn’t share it with me. The emotions felt so real. I couldn’t stand it.”

“Aww, poor baby Ikki,” Asami cooed.

“No getting distracted. Let’s go back to focusing on our breathing,” Ikki chided, poking Asami in the side for emphasis.

Asami readjusted her pose, straightening her back, realigning her knuckles. She took in as much air as she could, held it for a moment, and then slowly pushed it out. It felt a little unnatural, like when a doctor would ask her to take deep breaths during a physical. She tried a few more rounds of this process, then tried taking more natural breaths, which seemed to help her feel more relaxed. Asami started to forget about the small girl beside her, and her thoughts turned inwards.

Asami found her mind split between her breaths and thinking about not thinking. How could she not think? She had roads to rebuild, Ikki and Jinora to look after while Rohan was in the hospital. Rohan is suffering a life-changing injury. Pema and Tenzin must be so heartbroken. And Korra is still in a cast and now is miles away in Ba Sing Se to deal with Kuvira, who has resurfaced. How could Kuvira do such a thing to all the people that spared her life? It was her fault. She should have kept that secret Raiko stupidly spilled to her grave. If Kuvira was the cause behind another person she cared about's injury or, worse, death...

Asami felt herself become nauseous as anxiety sped off with her sense of control like a sporty Satomobile. She bolted up from her lotus pose, ran over to the railing, and dropped her forehead on the wood. The wood was cool, but not enough to provide much relief.

Ikki had noticed her absence and was not by her side, a hand on her back. “What’s wrong?” 

Asami swallowed some bile threatening to rise out from the back of her throat. It burned but was better than the alternative. “I just got a little nauseous all of a sudden.”

“Did something happen while you were meditating?” Ikki asked as she rubbed small circles on her back. Something her mother would do when she felt sick to her stomach. Ikki’s heart clenched at the thought. She hadn’t given voice to the feeling, but she was starting to really miss her mother.

Asami eased her head off the railing and instead rested it in her palms. “I…” Asami started, then stopped herself. She couldn’t add any more burden onto Ikki’s tiny shoulders. “I didn’t eat anything for lunch. Sometimes I get a little dizzy when my blood sugar gets low.”

Ikki blew a raspberry. “Why didn’t you say something! You can’t meditate on an empty stomach. That’s like rule number one.”

“That doesn’t sound like a rule….” Asami murmured.

“It’s my rule. Dad is all for unnecessary suffering during meditation, but I find being hungry distracting!”

***

Jinora's eyes opened, and she was no longer in Wang Shi Tong’s library but on the rock overlooking the dock. She tilted her head back and shielded her eyes with a hand to get an idea of how long she had been gone. The thrumming of a boat’s motor caught her attention. She looked down to the water and saw a small craft zipping towards the island.

Jinora rose to get a better view. Her stomach clenched as she wondered if it was her parents returning home. She still couldn’t make out who was on the boat, so she hopped from the rock and started down the stairs. She skipped every other step, using the flaps of her wingsuit to slow her descent safely. As she made it to the docking platform, the boat was pulling in.

“Jinora!” Kya called out.

Jinora smiled and gave a boisterous wave. “Aunt Kya!”

The acolyte piloting the small speedboat moved onto the dock to secure the vessel. Jinora was now able to see Katara was also with Kya.

“Grandma!”

Katara waved as Kya started easing her up from her seat. They moved together to the edge of the boat, touching the dock. The small craft rocked in the waves, making it difficult for them to step out, but eventually managed with the help of the acolyte.

It was slow going up the long steps from the dock to the temple grounds, but Katara managed on her own, with Kya fussing the whole way up. Jinora followed behind them, carrying their one travel bag. She watched her Grandmother take careful steps but didn’t see any faltering.

Once they made it to the top, Kya guided Katara to a nearby stone railing to rest.

“Where is your father?” Kya asked.

“At the hospital still, with mom and Rohan.”

Kya groaned. “I should go back down to the docks before that boat leaves and get a ride back to the city.”

“Do you know when they plan on bringing Rohan home?” Katara asked.

Jinora shook her head.

“That may be for the best,” Katara said, looking up at Kya from her seat. “You go get an idea of what’s going on.”

Kya rested a hand on her mother’s shoulder. “I’ll make sure you get to see Rohan soon, whether it’s at the hospital or back here.”

Kya let out another groan and then jogged back down the stairs. She called out to the acolyte as he began to rev his motor. She was soon out of sight. After a few moments, Katara and Jinora could hear the boat’s noise getting fainter, and when Kya didn’t reappear, they knew she had caught the acolyte in time.

“We should have called from the city before coming over here,” Katara sighed, looking down at her hands. “We just assumed they would have brought Rohan home by now.”

“The doctors are trying everything they can, Dad says. Because Rohan is so little, they want to be sure of his diagnosis.”

“Children can be more resilient healers.”

“I went to Wong Shi Tong’s library,” Jinora whispered.

Katara’s head perked up at Jinora’s confession. “You know about that place?”

Jinora nodded. “I’ve been there once before trying to help Korra during Harmonic Convergence.”

“You're a very brave girl,” Katara smiled, the creases around her eyes deepened. “Most children would be frightened out of their wits by him.”

“You and Grandpa Aang weren’t,” Jinora countered. “Or at least that is what Dad said.”

Katara nodded. “It’s amazing how we discover courage we never knew we had when those we care about need us.”

Jinora looked down at her feet. “I was hoping to find something to help Rohan, but I didn’t.”

Katara reached out and took one of Jinora’s hands. They were almost the same length, but that was hardly noticeable compared to the difference in age. Despite how worn Katara’s hands looked, Jinora noted they were gentle and soft. Jinora bent down, wrapped her arms around Katara’s neck, and leaned her upper body over her shoulders. Katara squeezed back.

“We’ll do whatever we can for little Rohan. No matter what, everything will be alright, dear.”

At Katara’s words, the tears Jinora had been holding in for days forced their way out. Her chest tightened, causing her sobs to come out like stunted gasps. But with the tightening came some relief from the pressure built inside her, finally finding a way out.

Katara rubbed circles around Jinora’s back and gently rocked their upper bodies back and forth. “It will all be alright.”

***

Ikki and Asami found themselves a little lunch and enjoyed it at the long family dining table when one of the sliding doors opened. Asami expected it to be Jinora finally making her appearance but couldn’t quite place how she knew the older woman at her side.

Ikki jumped up from her seat on the floor and scrambled over the table with a gust of air. “Grandma!”

Katara opened her arms and received Ikki’s tiny body in a crushing hug.

Asami got up from her spot and started towards the kitchen. “Let me get you both a plate.”

Jinora gave Asami a small smile and nod before taking a seat. Ikki bounced up and down as she guided Katara towards the table. “I want you to sit by me, Grandma!”

Jinora rolled her eyes but let Ikki have her way without a snarky comment. 

In the kitchen, Asami could hear Ikki squealing over her Grandmother. She shook her head. Of course, that was Katara. She took a moment in the kitchen to try to place the very familiar-looking older woman.

“I didn’t make this, but it’s pretty good,” Asami said as she placed plates of steaming mixed rice with vegetables and shoots in front of Katara and Jinora. “There is a huge pot of it, so don’t hesitate if you want seconds. I think the lunch rush has already happened here, right, Ikki?”

“Should be,” Ikki said before shoveling a big scoop of rice into her mouth. “Most people eat lunch here before noon.”

“I’m lucky if I remember to eat lunch at all,” Asami sighed between a sip of her water.

“That’s terrible,” Ikki said, shaking her head. “I’ll have to start sending Korra to deliver lunches to you when she gets back home.”

“And out of her cast,” Asami added.

Ikki snorted. “She’s the Avatar. She should be able to fly even with a cast.”

Katara looked up from her food. “Korra is gone?”

“To the Ba Sing Se, there’s some….” Jinora paused, thinking of a way to summarize the situation for her Grandmother, who, relatively isolated in the south, likely just barely got the news of Kuvira’s death. “Political problems.”

Katara nodded and scooped up some rice. “That city is a chore.”

“Suyin Beifong has some big aspirations to be its president,” Asami offered. “Korra and a few others went to join her in the city to sort the issue out.”

Katara smiled, remembering her long-time travel companion. “I think a Beifong is just what Ba Sing Se needs.”

Ikki suddenly dropped her chopsticks. They rattled on her porcelain pate, startling everyone at the table. “Grandma, we never got to tell you, we met Toph!” 

Katara tilted her head curiously.“Really?”

“In a swamp,” Jinora added, catching her sister’s enthusiasm. She had also forgotten all about meeting one of her grandparent's best friends. 

“Yeah, she lives there!” Ikki chirped.

Katara wrinkled her nose at the thought of living in a swamp. “She’s certainly become more of a masochist in her old age. Though she always lived a bit like a moo-sow. Her feet…” Katara shook her head. “Well, now her feet are never clean if she’s living in a swamp.”

Jinora put down her sticks. “Korra said she was there for the Bayan Tree. It kept her connected to the outside world through the sprawling vines. Like in a way she could see through them,” 

“Yeah, Korra was living with her for a while. It was our mission to find Korra and bring her home!” Ikki boasted.

Asami held up her left hand and peaked at the watch face that settled on the pulse point of her wrist. “Well, since your grandmother is here with you, I could probably head out soon and sleep at my apartment tonight….”

“You don’t have to go. We can have a sleepover!” Ikki chirped.

Asami looked to Jinora. She shook her head and then smiled. “Just because Korra isn’t here doesn’t mean you shouldn’t feel unwelcome.”

“I wasn’t... “ Asami started panicking at being caught acting insecurely. “I just thought maybe… Thank you.”

Katara squinted her eyes and leaned towards Asami. She then popped up with recognition. “Oh, you're Korra’s special person, aren’t you?”

Asami blushed and fidgeted with a stray lock of hair. She tucked it behind her ears and then pressed her hands into her lap. “I am.”

“That’s not an easy person to be sometimes.”

Asami nodded. “You know that very well, I’m sure.”

“I do,” Katara smiled. 

An idea flashed into Ikki’s head and manifested on her face as a wild-eyed grin. “Grandma, you should tell us all about how you and Grandpa got together!”

“You know that story,” Jinora teased.

“But I’ve never heard Grandma tell it,” Ikki said with a huff. She then gestured to Asami. “and I bet Asami doesn’t know it.”

“I’d be happy to.” Katara smiled. “I didn’t like your grandfather in that way for some time. He apparently had a crush on me from almost the very beginning….” 

Ikki pushed aside her plate and plopped her elbows on the table, eager to listen to her Grandmother’s story. Asami allowed herself to settle since it was clear Ikki wasn’t letting her go anywhere for the rest of the day.

***The next day***

That morning Asami joined Ikki and the other airbenders in a meditation session led by Jinora. She planned to go to work shortly after the class finished. Kya came to the island late last night and confirmed Tenzin and Pema would bring Rohan home that day. Asami wanted to give the family the day together. She was even considering just not coming back to the island that night for dinner, so Ikki wouldn’t be tempted to invite her to spend the night again. Bolin was alone. Maybe the two of them could go out like they sometimes did while Korra was in the south.

Asami heard Jinora say something to the group, but she was too busy thinking about her plans for the day she had gotten entirely derailed from her meditating. Asami took a deep breath and tried to clear her thoughts. She imagined taking an arm and sweeping a bunch of papers off her desk to give her a blank surface. But that only made her think about what it would be like cleaning up a mess like that if she ever did such a thing.

Asami began to wonder if meditation was really something she should bother with. Though, on the other hand, the idea of quieting her mind seemed so difficult, it was probably confirmation that she  should  continue to pursue it, just for the mental benefits. If the Spirit World never happened, it would be okay. Spiritual stuff like that was tricky, even for the very spiritual. Korra had trouble getting in touch with her spiritual side at first, and she’s the Avatar.

A smile pulled at Asami’s lips as the image of the spunky wolf-tailed version of Korra came into her mind. So much different now from the Korra, who can touch a spirit vine and tap into the unseen world's connective wires.

Asami could feel herself become tempted to indulge in self-doubt. How could the Avatar, the bridge between the human and spiritual worlds, and the bender of all elements feel satisfied with a non-bender who can’t properly meditate for five minutes? But Korra wasn’t like that. She had never given any indication she felt that way or acted or said anything that made Asami feel like she did. It was just her own insecurities trying to sabotage her happiness.

Asami didn’t use to have thoughts like this about her relationships. Part of her wondered if it manifested because of the deception pulled on her by her father. He harbored such dark and destructive feelings for so long, and she never knew. When that happened, it felt like the ground was being torn out from underneath her. But then she remembered who was there to catch her, Korra, Mako, and Bolin.

What her father did to her was not what other people would do. Hiroshi was a broken man. Asami had only wished that she had seen it sooner. There was another timeline that existed where Hiroshi didn’t late grief turn to hate. Where they could still be working side by side, rebuilding the city, growing the family company, and maybe he could even, it was almost too fanciful a thought, but be a part of her life with Korra. Some limited version of that future may have been possible had the events of Kuvira’s invasion turned out differently.

Asami’s chest tightened as she felt herself go back to that moment in the hummingbird suit. Kuvira’s colossus’s ice-covered body loomed above as their small craft clung to its hip. The unobstructed blaze of the sun made quick work of the large sheets Korra had bent. Chunks began to sluff off and crash on Asami’s window. She barely had a moment to realize what her father was doing until she was drifting outside on a small parachute. The moment between the colossus’s arm breaking free of the ice and obliterating her father was so fast her brain could barely process what happened until she saw the remains slide to the ground. She still wouldn’t let her mind think too long about how gruesomely flat the wreckage that fell was.

Asami didn’t attempt to find the remains. Her final fleeting image of her father as a sheet of metal was traumatic enough. They did arrive some time ago. The city kindly took the time to box and deliver them to her family plot. She rarely reflected on that moment since it happened. But it was so easy not to; at that moment, her father’s sacrifice just barely tipped the scales in their favor. The battle still had to be fought. Korra created a new spirit portal, Kuvira surrendered, and then all the regrouping and rebuilding that came after.

Only now was she finding the time to think about what she had kept pushing aside for another day. Like the letters her father sent, long left unreplied to. Asami went back and forth between blaming herself for wasting those years being mad at her father and blaming Kuvira for stealing away their future. Had she forgiven him sooner, she would at least have had more time connecting with her father. She could have had the rest of his life if Kuvira hadn’t taken it away.

When Asami found her mind going down this spiral, she tried to remember Kuvira didn’t set out to kill Hiroshi. She didn’t do it because of who he was. Kuvira chose to invade Republic City in a way that knowingly would lead to human casualties. Fortunately, there was the foresight to evacuate the city. Hiroshi was just one of few lives lost in the attack.

Asami was perfectly content to let Kuvira’s punishment for her crimes play out in whatever manner Republic City saw fit until Raiko let that kernel of truth slip out, and she wound up helping save that woman's life.

It was the right thing to do, despite it making her feel like spirit vines were tangling around her in her gut. She would not allow the loss to erode at her soul as her father did, but she doubted he ever go so far as coming to the aid of those responsible for her mother’s death. But then again, he lost the ability to distinguish  those benders from all benders.

Perhaps it was the finality of her father’s death. She now truly was without any known living family. This didn't mean she was alone, but the fact still left a slightly lonely feeling inside.

A small hand on her shoulder snapped Asami out of her thoughts.

 

“It’s over. Did you get lost somewhere?” Ikki asked hopefully. Jinora was close behind her.

Asami shook her head. “Got too lost in my thoughts.”

“That’s okay. It might be because you need this time to think if you aren’t making a space for it anywhere else in your day,” Jinora offered. “Zhou Rhen has the same problem, but he’s getting better with daily practice.”

“I will try to keep at it, even when I’m not here for guided sessions.”

Jinora smiled. “All you need is quiet and a place to sit.”

***

Asami was able to catch Bolin on the phone at Shey’s office. She was startled to discover she still remembered the number without having to check her address book.

Fortunately, her assistant answered the call. Asami didn’t feel dread at the idea of potential contact with Shey, having cleared the air between them. But she still felt a wave of relief when she heard an unfamiliar voice on the other end of the line.

Asami and Bolin met up at a small eatery downtown, about halfway between their two locations. Asami enjoyed going out with Bolin. He was always more easygoing than Mako. Plus, they didn’t have any awkward romantic history. 

“So, how’s life in your empty apartment?” Asami asked with a smirk.

Bolin let out a groan. “Awful. If it were just Mako gone then, Opal and I would have the place to ourselves for a bit, which would be great. But with them both, it's so lonely!”

“What are you and Opal going to do when you get married?”

“I hadn’t thought about it. We might be able to get our own room at the temple, but that’s not really much to start a life together in,” Bolin muttered, poking at the remains of his food with one chopstick. “Prolly be weird for Mako if Opal officially moved into our bachelor pad.”

“Might be time you start looking into getting a place for just the two of you. I can ask the real estate agent who helped me find my apartment,” Asami offered.

Bolin grimaced. “I’m going to need something way cheaper.”

“With your budget in mind, of course. A realtor can work with all kinds. Though this probably isn’t a great time to look, with a lot of people displaced.” A smirk tugged on Asami's lips. “I bet Suyin would buy you the place next to hers if you asked.”

“And move to Zaofu?” Bolin’s voice cracked slightly at his exclamation. “No way. I’d sooner move closer to my family in the Lower Ring.”

“Suyin is going to be an intense in-law.”

Bolin casually waved his stick in Asami’s direction. “What about Tonraq? He’s like eight feet tall and a tribal chief?”

“He’s a turtle-duck. I’ve gotten on better with him than with Senna.”

“Ahh,” Bolin mused. “The Avatar’s mother, she’s always seemed to be a bit of a mystery.”

“She’s trying,” Asami sighed, thinking back to their visit to the south. The whole time Senna wore a troubled expression until they finally talked one on one. Something she said must have proven to Senna that she was serious about her feelings for Korra. Or something. From that time on, her emotions didn’t seem strained, just a still bit hesitant.

Bolin pursed his lips and dipped his head in a nod. “She's a bit weird about the whole…?”

“Yeah.”

“How does Korra feel about that?” 

Asami shrugged. “Mostly, it seems like she doesn’t have a lot of patience for it. In a way, she’s been blissfully unaware of the stigma. Chalking up her feelings to Avatar weirdness for most of her life.”

Bolin leaned in closer. “So she didn’t really know about her kind until now?”

“It’s probably a blessing for her,” Asami leaned back in her booth seat and crossed her arms. “I think I’m the one that’s more sensitive, though I’ve tried not to let Korra on to that fact.” Asami looked down at the table, focusing on the decorative flowers lining her plate. “I think maybe because I’ve known about my feelings longer….”

“For Korra?”

“I definitely had a crush on Korra before she did me, but what I mean is I came to terms with my attraction to girls sooner. I realized when I was around fourteen, and somehow my father had picked up on that part of me. I think with Korra’s parents, I might just be desperately seeking that approval I never got from my own father.”

Bolin nodded. “I think I understand how you feel. Like anytime a much older person like, praises me or says they're proud of me,” Bolin blew out a woosh of air. “Or when my uncle told me I looked like my Dad. It touches this like place inside me that was so thirsty for this feeling, but I didn’t know until I got a taste.”

“It feels so silly. We’re adults.”

“Look at Lin. She was chasing her mother’s approval into her fifties,” Bolin scratched his chin. “Let’s promise each other we don’t leave these feelings unchecked for that long.”

“Agreed," Asami said holding out her hand for Bolin to shake. They gave their shake a few pumps and stopped when a waitress appeared to clear their plates.  

Asami turned out her wrist and checked her watch. “If Korra is going to call today, I think we’ve entered the final possible hour.”

Bolin rose from his seat and swiped the check off the edge of the table.

“So we should head to the temple then?”

“If I don’t answer there, she knows to call my apartment. Besides, they just brought Rohan home, and Katara is there. We should give the family some alone time.” Asami swung her purse over her shoulder and followed Bolin to the cashier counter.

Bolin handed them the check slip and a few bills. As the register opened, Bolin flipped around to face Asami. He leaned his body on the counter. “C’mon, let's go over there. When have they ever asked for some alone time.”

“That’s exactly why I think we should do the family the courtesy. They might not feel comfortable saying no or setting boundaries.”

Bolin held up his hands. “Okay, okay. What if we brought them some food?”

Asami stole another peek at her watch. “It’s kind of late.”

“I bet Pema and Tenzin haven’t eaten. Too sick with worry to take care of themselves. We gotta bring a little self-care to them.”

Asami shook her head. “Okay, I like this plan.”

“Alright, now we’re cooking with gas,” Bolin grabbed a menu from a cubby by the door. He flopped it on the cashier counter and read with his pointer finger leading his eyes.

“You really don’t like sleeping alone, huh?” Asami asked slyly.

“No, I do not,” Bolin replied, not taking his eyes off the menu. 

***

Asami, Bolin, and a couple of takeout bags found the family in Tenzin and Pema's private bedroom. Rohan still had his bed in there, he was just getting to the age where he was to start sleeping in the dorms by his brother, but that wouldn’t be happening anytime soon.

Jinora, Ikki, Katara, and Pema, with a dozing Rohan in her arms, were seated on the master bed. Tenzin and Kya were beside Rohan’s bed, attaching rail guards on all sides.

Ikki was the first to notice Asami and Bolin in the doorway.

“Hi guys!” she chirped.

Bolin held up the two bags of food and gave them a small jostling. “We thought maybe you all could go for a little takeout?”

“It’s all vegetarian,” Asami added.

Ikki and Jinora hopped off the bed and scurried over to them. Bolin passed a bag to Ikki and the other to Jinora. “Go nuts.”

The girls started taking containers out and placing them on the bed.

“Careful not to spill on the comforter,” Pema warned.

Tenzin walked over to where Asami and Bolin stood by the door. “Thank you. We haven’t even thought about food.”

“You better dig in before it’s all gone,” Bolin said, gesturing to Ikki and Jinora, who were still rummaging through the containers to see what everything was.

“No need!” Ikki chirped as she dashed over to the three. She held out a plate to her father. “A little of everything!”

Tenzin accepted the plate.

“Do you guys want anything?” Ikki asked.

Bolin and Asami both shook their heads.

“We already ate,” Asami answered for the both of them.

Ikki bounded back over to the bed and started serving up a plate for herself. She plopped down on the bed and joined the conversation between Jinora, Pema, Kya, and Katara.

“She’s done a great job keeping things together here while you’ve been gone.” Asami offered, gesturing in Ikki’s direction. “Jinora too. They are both so mature for their ages.”

Tenzin let out a tired sigh and looked over at his daughters. “I know. They have seen so much in their short lives. I was hoping maybe this time there would be some calm for them, time to let them be children, at least Ikki. Jinora, she’s like me at that age, fourteen going on forty.”

As Tenzin was talking, Bolin watched Ikki. His hand stroked at his chin, thoughtfully, pinching the end as if he had a beard.

“I hope this doesn't contradict your desire for your kids to be kids, but what if I thought Ikki might be perfect for a small role in a mover?”

Tenzin and Asami’s heads whipped in Bolin’s direction.

“Well, I wouldn’t say I was opposed, as long as the work was appropriate. It would really be her decision-”

“Great!” Bolin said, cutting Tenzin off. “Hey, Ikki, come back over here.”

Ikki perked up at her name. She jumped off the bed, plate in both hands, chopsticks poking out of her mouth like tusks. Bolin bent down to be eye level with the young girl.“How would you like to be in a mover?”

***

After everyone finished their late meal, Bolin, Asami, and Ikki went out to the gazebo to discuss Ikki’s role. Jinora watched their animated conversation from the rooftop of the dorms.

It was a little after ten, so 6 am in Ba Sing Se, as Jinora situated herself into the lotus position and closed her eyes, she hoped Zhou Rhen remembered to wake up in time.

When she opened her eyes, she was in Xai Bou’s grove. Knowing the location's history made her feel uneasy, but it was one of two places Zhou Rhen knew of in the Spirit World. She would have preferred the Republic City Portal, Spirit World side, of course, but the Tiger Pillar Spirit was still lurking every time she meditated there.

Jinora let out a whistle, hoping her flying spirit critter would hear her call. She looked around the foggy grove. Everything felt stagnant, the rusty water moved at a snail's pace, and there weren't any spirits milling about like most other parts of the Spirit World.

Soon a chirping sound came from the distance. Jinora whistled back, turning around over and over, trying to hear where it was coming from. She saw a large figure lumbering in the mist. She took a few steps back, cautiously.

“Jinora?” Zhou Rhen called out.

Jinora relaxed and started moving towards him. The rodent spirit cut through the mist first, and then Zhou Rhen stumbled out.

“Sorry, I’m late. I didn’t quite land where I thought I would.”

“Well, fortunately, my little friend found you.”

“Yes,” Zhou Rhen said, giving the tiny creature a wave. “Sorry, I tried to swat you with a book.”

Jinora scowled. “You hit my friend?”

“I said I tried but then quickly realized they were trying to help,” Zhou Rhen said as he smoothed back the strands of hair that had fallen from his bun.

The critter trilled and then settled on Jinora’s shoulder. It turned its small body away from him.

Zhou Rhen bowed deeply. “I’m truly sorry.”

Jinora looked at her friend. It gave her a slight nod. She turned back to Zhou Rhen. “You’re forgiven.”

“That’s a relief,” Zhou Rhen said, wiping at his brow. He looked around for a grassy knoll or something to sit on. A small bolder caught his eyes, so he rested there. Zho Rhen pulled his notebook out of his pocket and balanced it on his knees. “So?"

Jinora plopped down on the ground where she stood. “Yes, so what’s the situation?”

“Well, Avatar Korra was able to meet with Kuvira last night, and it turns out she is not Kuvira.”

Jinora let out the breath she didn’t realize she was holding.

“There seems to be a lot of surprise around this fact,” Zhou Rhen said, scratching at his chin. “I figured since she was witnessed to have died in an explosion, this was likely not going to be the actual Kuvira?”

Jinora bit her lip. “You just never know. The crew did not rescue her when they evacuated. She was alone when the ship went down. So there was a slight chance.”

Zhou Rhen held up a hand. “I get it. Better to be safe than sorry. The plan is to not release this news to others, for now, to see if anyone else is privy to this information about the fake Kuvira.”

“And how is Korra doing?” Jinora asked, breaking eye contact. She tried to fix her gaze on one of the spooky red trees instead.

“She appears to be doing well. Some light but constant teasing from Opal, nothing too awkward between her and her former boyfriend, Mako.” Zhou Rhen thought for a moment. “Kai is also here in Ba Sing Se.”

Jinora fixed back on Zhou Rhen. “He knows what’s going on?”

“They were at the village this Kuvira look-a-like got picked up in,” Zhou Rhen said with a nod. “Want me to send him your regards… or any other messages?”

Jinora shook her head.

“So, same time tomorrow?” Zhou Rhen asked.

“If you don’t mind?”

“Not at all.” Zhou Rhen tucked his notebook back into his pocket. “It’s a reprieve. You're still the only friend I’ve made here.”

Jinora smiled. “Well, maybe this trip will change things.”

Zhou Rhen smiled back. “Perhaps they will.”

To be continued… 

 

 

 

Chapter 46: Tales in Ba Sing Se

Notes:

Thank you for waiting for this next chapter, I know it's been a minute. This story isn't done and is often lurking in the back of my mind, even when I am not actively working on it. Happy 2022!

Chapter Text

Suyin didn’t waste any time the following day. She was up and in Korra’s suite before anyone else rose. She escorted the groggy group to the dining hall for the buffet-style breakfast. 

The previous night’s festivities hadn’t slowed any of the representatives down. The hall was a din of conversations and porcelain clanking. 

While Korra waited for her turn at the fruit table, a hand brushed the top of her shoulder, startling her.

“Avatar Korra,” Bingwen said softly.

Korra turned around at her name. “Oh, hello, uh..”

“Bingwen.”

“Thank you, sorry I met a lot of people last night.”

Bingwen smiled and shrugged. “Of course. How was your meeting with Kuvira?”

Korra nearly dropped her plate. What was she supposed to say when she didn’t want people to know she knew it wasn’t Kuvira. Was it a good meeting? Is there such a thing as a good meeting with a tyrant who was supposed to be dead?

“That bad, huh?” Bingwen offered.

Korra’s confusion must have manifested in some form on her face. She looked at his expression, and bad appeared to be the correct experience.

“Yeah,” Korra replied with an exaggerated slump of her body. Lying by omission felt like her best course of action moving forward. 

“Wild stuff, this whole situation.” Bingwen saw the table clear. “Oh, we’re up next. Need a push?”

Korra held up a hand. “No need.”

After getting their fruit, they loitered by the edge of the serving table. 

“Mind if I follow you to your table? I want to show you something,” Bingwen said in a whisper.

Korra started moving towards where Suyin and the other were seated. “You can sit with us if you want.”

“I need to meet with my fellow reps. I just want to do a little demonstration.”

The group looked up from their plates at the two new arrivals. Korra wheeled herself up to an empty spot at the table next to Suyin.

“Good morning, everyone,” Bingwen said with a big smile.

Opal fluttered a hand enthusiastically. “Good morning Bingwen.”

Bingwen pulled out The Republic Magazine and held it level with his head. He casually glanced around him and then waggled the booklet. “Can I get your autograph?”

Korra sheepishly looked around the dining hall, noticing many eyes on her. “Sure, I’d love to.”

“Are they looking?” Bingwen asked through his teeth.

Korra darted her eyes around again. “Yes.”

Bingwen grinned. He let the magazine fall in front of Korra and slipped a pen out of his pocket. “In about thirty seconds, a line will form behind me with about a dozen other people who also just so happened to have this on them.”

“I doubt it-” Korra started.

The sound of chairs scooting added to the collective noise of the dining hall. 

“The Earth Kingdom is changing. I think the turmoil of the last few years has put into perspective what really matters.”

“This is the work of your Kyoshi stories, isn’t it?”

Bingwen grinned. “That doesn’t hurt. But many of the people behind me are genuine. Take good care of them.”

“Of course.”

Bingwen collected his freshly signed magazine and held it out in front of him exaggeratedly. “Lovely, now I just need to get Miss Sato’s signature. Next time I’m in Republic City?”

Korra shrugged. “Sure.”

“Can’t wait.” Bingwen waved as he strutted away. “Keep the pen.”

Korra addressed the woman now in front of her with the magazine outstretched. She was in her late forties, with green robes and big glasses that made her look mousey.

She laid the magazine down on the table like an offering. “Would you mind? I think it’s so brave of you, being so open about yourselves.”

“Thank you.”

“My son,” the woman looked down at the table. “He’s... he’s had a tough time.”

“How old is he?” Korra asked as she signed next to her photograph.

“Fourteen, but he told me he knew when he was much younger. That’s usually the case, isn’t it?”

“Honestly, it’s all kind of new to me too,” Korra offered. The woman stayed silent, waiting for her to elaborate. Korra was not eager to share any more of her private self with the world but felt a strong need for reassurance from the mother standing before her. “I had a feeling I was different somehow, but I was also the Avatar, so a lot of my differences I chalked up to Avatar stuff. But yeah, I think it’s just a part of who you are, something that’s always there. Everyone figures out in their own time.”

“I agree.” The woman nodded a few times. “Part of the reason I am here is to hopefully make the Earth Kingdom a friendlier place for my son and other people like him.”

“You’re not alone in that desire. Suyin and-” Korra gestured to the Beifong matriarch and then looked to the small line of people forming behind the woman. “Hopefully, everyone else here, looking for a signature.”

The woman glanced over her shoulder. She turned back to Korra and smiled. Suyin waved the woman over and started a side conversation.

Opal and Zhou Rhen silently ate and watched Korra’s breakfast get cold as she interacted with a dozen or so representatives seeking her signature. Suyin snagged as many people as she could after Korra finished, like a tiger-eel poaching fish passing by.

Mako had his head on a swivel, eying the room. As unexpected as the number of people interested in Korra’s signature, most of the room remained seated. With many keeping their heads down or attention locked on the conversation at their tables. But Mako saw a few shake their heads or suck their teeth. His favorite six at one point gave Korra’s crowd a sidelong look. 

After about half an hour and several refills on tea, Korra and her group went back to just themselves at the table.

Suyin pushed her half-eaten plate away. “I hate to mention this, but my friends in Omashu also want to grab your signature at some point. I saw them slink in here a few minutes ago, looking a bit too hungover to notice our little crowd.”

“That’s fine,” Korra said with a tired shrug. “I should probably savor this one moment in time people are interested in Avatar Korra memorabilia, besides old koots slinging seaweed rolls.”

Opal and Mako shared a confused look. Korra caught the exchange. “When I was traveling alone. This old shopkeeper took this awful picture of me for his ‘wall of Avatars.’ Increased his collection by one hundred percent.”

“That’s generally the best you can do is live to see two Avatars,” Suyin muttered to no one in particular.

Opal leaned towards Korra. Her eyes narrowed inquisitively. “What did you do while you were going it alone in the Earth Kingdom? I’ve wondered if it was like some kinda erotic journey of self-discovery leading you to the realization that there’s only one person you want to-“

“Alright, we should get going,” Suyin announced abruptly, her chair screeching on the tile floor.

“You can’t seem to help yourself lately, can you?” Korra said with a small punch to Opal’s arm. She then wheeled herself away from the table after Suyin. Mako followed quickly behind her. 

Zhou Rhen shuffled to the empty space to be beside Opal. “She doesn’t seem to speak much of that time. Do you really think that could be true?”

“Where was this interest last night?” Opal asked, rubbing her arm. 

“I’m trying to get Korra to like me more,” Zhou Rhen murmured back.

Opal sucked her in lips, creating a slight smacking sound. “Smart call then.”

Zhou Rhen winked.

***

Suyin, Korra, and Mako waited outside the breakfast hall for Opal and Zhou Rhen to catch up. Once together, Suyin led the group to a small corridor to discuss their next steps. 

“Korra,” Suyin started laying a hand on her shoulder. “Our top priority today is to attempt to get access to Wu.”

Korra nodded. “Right.”

“I’ll go with you,” Mako offered.

“Can’t risk it. Wu was taken captive on the grounds of conspiracy. I believe it’s regarding your failed mission to return Kuvira to Ba Sing Se. Your name hasn’t come up, but I fear seeing you might jog others’ memories of your participation. At this time, the enemy knows more about us than we do of them.”

“So what should we do then?” Opal asked, waving a hand at herself and the two men of the group. 

Suyin looked back and forth between Korra and Mako. “Who are our other loose ends? Tu? No word from him?” 

“My grandmother said he’s been very aloof. She’s been told to relay my message, but that has him going to Wu’s place,” Mako offered. 

“Maybe you three should go check and see if Tu or anyone else, for that matter, is holding up Wu’s villa.” Suyin fished in her robes and pulled out a key. She tossed it to Mako. “He gave me a copy.” 

“I’m supposed to stay with Avatar Korra,” Zhou Rhen chirped.

Suyin glanced at Korra, who shrugged, then conceded with a nod.

***

“Asami didn’t happen to give you that instruction, did she?” Korra asked Zhou Rhen as they and Suyin headed towards the area of the palace where the meetings were conducted. 

“She may have grabbed me the morning we left,” Zhou Rhen said nervously, fidgeting his glasses. “Miss Sato was very kind about it. She is just concerned for your safety.”

Suyin’s eyebrow quirked up as Zhou Rhen spoke. She leaned over to him inquisitively. “And how exactly are you supposed to help in a dangerous situation? You’re not a bender, right?”

Zhou Rhen bowed his head.

“If it gives Asami comfort, that is all that matters,” Korra offered, flashing her lopsided grin. “I’m sure your husband worries about you being here all alone, right Suyin.”

“Bataar has never been scared for me,” Suyin replied deadpan, eyes forward.

Korra sneaked a glance at Zhou Rhen, gave him a cheeky grin to let him know everything was alright, and mouthed. “More like scared of her.”

“We demand a seat at the table!” A deep male voice shouted from the other end of the hallway.

The three shared a look and then picked up their pace. They reached the corner and found five Dai Li members outside a meeting room. In the doorway was a representative from Chu, and not far behind him a small gaggle of other states reps. 

“How about you let us see Prince Wu, and we’ll consider that request,” Suyin called out as they arrived.

The five Dai Li turned to see Suyin, Korra, and Zhou Rhen join them in the hall. One of the Dai Li casually stepped forward as if greeting an old friend. “Suyin Beifong, how involved you are with everything these days.” His eyes fell to Korra. “Avatar Korra, welcome back to Ba Sing Se.”

Suyin put a hand on her hip and threw out the other in the Dai Li’s direction. “And who do we have the pleasure of speaking to?”

“You may call me Serpent.”

Suyin huffed and shot a snarky look to Korra. “Not offering any real names at this time, I see.”

“I would like to speak with Prince Wu,” Korra urged, wheeling herself a few revolutions closer to the Dai Li agents. 

Serpent crossed his arms. “Not possible.”

“And why not?” Suyin pressed.

“He is at our base,” he said casually, glancing back to his comrades. “Which we would like to keep secret, for obvious security purposes.”

“Then bring him back to the palace. You have no right taking him hostage,” Korra barked back. 

“Citizen’s arrest, which I believe is legally within our rights as the Dai Li.”

Korra stole a glance at Suyin. She saw a small crowd start to form along the edges of the corridor. Their voices must have carried them in.

“Well, I’m the Avatar, and I-“

“You’ll what?” Serpent asked, looking at the four other Dai Li beside him. 

Korra felt her carefully laid-out words tumble from her brain. “I-“

“You’ll speak to her with respect!” Zhou Rhen said as loudly and bravely as he could muster.  

Suyin pulled his sleeve, dragging him behind her. “That’s not necessary, Bingwen.”

“I’m Zhou Rhen,” he protested in a whisper.

Serpent eyes wandered the room, catching the crowd that had formed around them. “What right do you actually hold over us or any citizen for that matter? Your will does not override any other authority's rights. The Avatar can merely make suggestions.”  

Korra’s knuckles started to turn white as her grip around her wheels tightened.

Serpent gestured at the crowd again. “Isn’t that right? If Queen Hou-Ting was still alive today, you couldn’t wheel in here and demand an audience with her captives. Well, you could, but she’d be in her right to deny you. As she did with her Airbenders which you stole. I believe last time you were here, you were made an outlaw, and the warrant for your arrest was never formally cleared. The Queen died and the city fell before you could have made things right or suffered the consequences for your actions. Why it could be argued I’d be neglecting my duties if I didn’t arrest you. It wouldn't even be difficult.”

Korra felt her body shake with frustration and anxiety. She summoned her strength and pulled herself upright and out of her chair. Her fits outstretched and clenched to keep her balance on her right leg. 

“Korra,” Suyin hissed as a warning, but she also moved into a defensive stance. 

“Try anything, and I'll wrap my chair around you like a net and hang you from the ceiling.”

“Easy Avatar Korra,” Serpent started, holding his hands up defensively. “Just stating a fact."

“And what about my original offer?” Suyin asked.

“You’ll see the prince soon enough at the trial. When all truth comes to light, you’ll see we deserve a place in the Ba Sing Se again.” Serpent motioned to his four colleagues, and they dispersed into the hall.

Suyin wrinkled her nose as she watched them leave. Once out of sight, she turned to the representative from Chu and others still lurking in the doorway of the meeting room. “These men wanted to sit in on your meeting?”

The rep from Chu nodded. “They apparently want to participate in the government.”

Suyin’s face turned to stone. “I think you are good for today. Go hold your meeting.”

“So now what do we do?” Korra asked.

Suyin took a few steps away from Korra and Zhou Rhen. A hand drifted to her chin, her fingers thoughtfully drumming.

“Asking to see Prince Wu appears to be off the table,” Zhou Rhen muttered. 

“What role the Dai Li will play in the new Earth Kingdom government hasn’t come up. I don’t like the idea, but they have some right to be considered.” Suyin looked around. Most of the representatives had entered their meeting room, but a few people still milled about in the hallway. “Let's go to the gardens.”

Suyin, Korra, and Zhou Rhen moved through the palace in silence but not unnoticed. Every palace attendant stopped and bowed deeply as they passed, murmuring a greeting to ‘Avatar Korra.’ 

Korra appreciated this less hostile visit to Ba Sing Se, but overt gestures of reverence made her uncomfortable.

Korra could almost hear the deceased queen’s shrill voice hollering about topiaries when they reached the gardens. It was clear the current flora was an attempt at a more modest aesthetic. It was still lush. Korra felt instantly more relaxed amongst the greenery. They stopped by a small fountain.

“I’ve figured it out," Suyin started. She flapped her arms at her sides a few times in a frustrated gesture. "It’s so obvious I can’t believe it took me this long.”

Korra cocked her head. “What’s obvious?”

“What the Dai Li want. They just spelled it out back there.”

“To be included?” Zhou Rhen offered.

“Exactly,” Suyin replied with a quick point of her finger to the younger man. “They must have been biding their time waiting for the right moment to resurface. Kurvira would have disbanded them immediately. A secret organization with muddled loyalty; no way.”

“So why now? Why not after Kuvira fell?” Korra asked as she bent a little ball of water from the fountain to play with.

“It would have been plausible. But what value did The Dai Li have to offer the new government? They retreated when the city fell. They didn’t even participate in Kuvira’s reconstruction of the Earth Kingdom. Which would have been both in and against their favor.”

“Prince Wu is their bargaining chip?” Zhou Rhen asked.

Suyin nodded. “Yes, and when they arrested him, they were privy to Kuvira’s recapture before the rest of us.”

“So they have some shady information gathering skills,” Korra muttered, raising her water ball in the air and dividing them into four smaller ones. 

“I doubt they even care about the conspiracy. Prince Wu’s likely just a pawn.” As Suyin spoke Korra divided the water further and their movement mimicking Pai Sho pieces. Korra caught Zhou Rhen watching the water, as if she was potentially strategizing with the small orbs.

“Do you think they know the truth about this Kuvira?” Zhou Rhen asked.

“No idea. She could even be a plant by them…”

“That woman seemed pretty sincere, plus why would she lie to me about how she got captured? If she really wanted my help, why not say the Dai Li got me?” Korra said before letting her water droplets fall into the dirt. They made a brief pitter pattern sound like rain. She looked up at Zhou Rhen and smirked. 

“Maybe she doesn’t know… I need some time to think about all this.” Suyin took a seat on the fountain wall. “Why don’t you two track down Opal and Mako.”

Korra nodded and then gestured to Zhou Rhen.  “You got all that right? Let’s go.”

“Now when you say go,” Zhou Rhen started.

***

It wasn’t too long of a walk for Opal and Mako to get to Wu’s upper-ring penthouse. The sun was starting to reach its crest, so the shelter inside was a reprieve from the heat. 

“Welp, no one's home or been home, it seems,” Opal muttered, looking around the small seating area in the atrium, then moving to the narrow kitchen. Nothing looked used or out of place.

Mako followed behind her, scrutinizing the rooms more closely. “He could have a very clean intruder hiding here.”

Opal finished her lap around the first floor, meeting Mako still in the seating area. “Go upstairs with me?”

Mako nodded and followed her up the metal spiral stairs to the bedroom. Wu’s large bed was perfectly made. Behind the headboard on the wall hung gaudy triptych tapestries depicting some sort of ancient story about Badgermoles. Golden thread was sewn to highlight the silhouette of the original Earthbenders. Jewels threaded to the fabric for eyes.

“Wow, he really loves those moles,” Opal said after the long moment of silence it took to really take in the tapestries. “So, no one is here. What do we do?”

“I think we should wait a bit. Tu could show up at some point.”

Opal shrugged. “Alright, let’s go wait downstairs. I think there was like one book on the coffee table. Want to arm wrestle to see who gets to read it?”

“It’s yours.”

“Aww, c’mon, I was banking on us fighting to take up some time!” Opal moaned, following Mako back down the stairs.”

***

Mako stood by the window closest to the front door of Wu’s penthouse, keeping watch. He used the hefty velvet drapes to conceal himself. Opal lounged on one of the small sofas. Her stocking feet casually resting on the coffee table. She occasionally looked up to see if Mako was still at the window like a faithful dog waiting for his owner to return from work. 

“Will you sit down? You’re making me tired,” Opal groaned from behind Wu’s one book. It wound up being a halfway decent pulpy mystery. 

Mako perked up and did a double-take. “It’s Korra.” He scurried over to the door and opened it before Zhou Rhen got a chance to knock. 

Opal let her book fall. “Tell them we don’t want any.”

Korra snorted as she rolled into the living room. “Always so quick with a quip.”

“Bolin’s been making me be his partner for improv. Helps with acting, I guess.”

“Any luck seeing Wu?" Mako eagarly asked.

Korra shook her head. “A snowball’s chance in Mt. Makapu of seeing Wu before the trial.”

“So you are here to bring us back to the palace?” Opal asked as she eased herself up from the sofa.

“Your mom still thinks we should track down Tu.”

Mako drummed his fingers on his chin. "The longer he goes unseen, the more concerned I am that he's been snatched up as a co-conspirator.”

Zhou Rhen held up a hand. “I’m sorry, who is Tu?” 

Mako, Opal, and Korra’s eyes darted amongst each other. A silent question of who would answer and how. Mako wrinkled his nose and accepted the task. “He’s my cousin and a friend of Wu’s.”

“Very close friend,” Opal added along with an eye brow wiggle.

Mako shot her a scowl. “The Dai Li might be snatching anyone associated with Wu.”

Opal clapped her hands together, startling the group. “So we’re off to the Lower Ring then? I should touch base with Kai, so I’ll split after the tram ride.”

 

***

Mako remembered to call his grandmother before they departed Wu’s penthouse to get their new address. As he, Korra, and Zhou Rhen approached the apartment building, he was pleasantly surprised by the halfway decent exterior. Grandma Yin’s was on the second floor, and there was no elevator, so Korra had to bend her own. Fortunately, the steps were made of stone. 

Grandma Yin happily ushered the group into her home. Her soft little hand startled Mako as it slipped into his. 

“I’m so happy to see my grandson,” she whispered as she walked with him into the kitchen. They walked by a fairly occupied living room. His aunts, uncles, and cousins smiled and waved as they passed. Mako strained his neck, looking amongst the somewhat familiar faces searching for Tu.

Grandma Yin dropped Mako's hand and motioned to the dining table. Mako and Zhou Rhen promptly lowered themselves to a pillow. Korra groaned at the sight of a short-legged table. She opted to wheel herself beside Zhou Rhen and remain in her chair. 

“Listen, Grandma,” Mako started before clearing his throat. “Is Tu home?”

Grandma Yin shook her head. “I guess he came home very late last night but was gone again by the time I woke up,” 

A bit of relief washed over Mako. His cousin wasn’t kidnapped. “Ugh, what is going on with him?”

Grandma Yin shrugged. “He’s a big boy. He can handle himself. So, where is Bolin?”

Mako grabbed his forehead and rested his elbows on the table. “He’s in Republic City. Shooting a mover, so he couldn’t come out this time.”

“Oh, phooey." Grandma Yin flitted her left hand. “Aloof, just like his father! I want to wish him and his fiancé congratulations.”

“Well, Opal is here, but she’s meeting with some fellow Airbenders….” Korra added. Grandma Yin leaned in as Korra spoke. Eagerly hoping for good news.

“Korra-“ Mako started.

“Mako, why didn’t you at least bring her?” The older woman asked.

“Grandma Opal’s got a lot of responsibilities with the Air Nation. What’s really important is us finding Tu."

Grandma Yin pouted. “Well, do you at least spare spend with your dear old Grandmother?”

“C’mon Mako,” Korra started, nudging Mako’s elbow with her own. “A glass of lemonade won’t be the end of the world.”

Grandma Yin pushed herself up and away from the table and meandered into the kitchen. “Lemonade, bleh! Too tart. I’ve got some lovely date juice I can give you, kids. And some fig paste cookies.

“My favorite,” Zhou Rhen murmured, feigning polite enthusiasm.

After a few awkward and quiet moments, Grandma Yin returned to the table with a small tray. She passed out the small glasses of juice and then placed a plate of brown cookies in the middle. 

Grandma Yin happily reclaimed her seat and helped herself to two cookies. “So, are you Avatar's new boyfriend?” She said, gesturing to Zhou Rhen with a half-eaten cookie.

Zhou Rhen nearly dropped his glass. A few droplets of juice dribbled on the table in front of him.

“I read all about it in a magazine. I have it here somewhere….”

“You don’t have to, “ Mako groaned.

Grandma Yin waved him off before rustling a magazine from the big pocket of her dress. They all peered down at the cover and then to Zhou Rhen. Take off the glasses and undo his bun. With his long dark hair and fair Fire Nation complexion, they assessed an argument could be made that the two share some resemblance. Distant cousins, maybe.

“Uh, Grandma Yin, this is Asami Sato,” Korra corrected, tapping the cover. “You stayed at her home for a couple years.”

Grandma yin nodded and smiled. “Oh yes, very generous girl.”

“She’s my girlfriend.”

“I know that, dear.”

Korra’s eyes crossed.

“Korra, it might be a lost cause,” Mako warned as he could see Korra wind herself up for another round of explaining.

Korra gave a defeated nod. “Want me to sign your copy?”

Grandma Yin’s eyes lit up. She quickly produced an inkwell and pen. Korra signed her name under herself on the cover. Grandma Yin eagerly pointed to Zhou Rhen. 

He gave Korra a sidelong look. She shrugged her shoulders back and passed him the pen. Korra smiled as he watched him sign ‘Asami Sato.’

Mako shot up from the table. “We gotta get going.”

Zhou Rhen rose as well, and Korra rolled herself away from the table.

“Is Uncle Chow working at the fruit stand? Maybe we’ll try there.”

“Yes, he should be.”

Mako gave Grandma Yin’s shoulder a squeeze. “It was good seeing you. I’ll visit again soon.”

“I’m going to hold you to that!” Grandma Yin called out, clutching her freshly autographed magazine to her chest. 

***

It was about a fifteen-minute walk until they arrived at the small market where the family’s fruit stand was located. Just a tiny square with a few other food vendors. Chow waved, spotting Mako right away.

“Mako, good to see you,” Chow said, offering one of his large hands.

Mako gave it a few shakes, feeling his own much smaller hand crumple inside. “Uncle Chow.”

“Will you take a look at our fruit these days? Freshest I’ve had in years.

The trio’s eyes roamed over the crates of muted-looking melons, bananas, apples, lemons, and limes. The improvement was lost on Korra and Zhou Rhen.

“Yeah, not bad,” Mako said, picking up a cantaloupe. It held firm in his hand. 

“Limes…” Korra muttered, recalling her lunch with Asami in the city a few weeks back. “Say you wouldn’t happen to know anything about the fruit that gets exported, would you?”

Chow scratched at his furry chin. “Well, I wasn’t here during Kuvira’s time, but I heard from other vendors that she had a very firm Earth Kingdom first policy when it came to all goods.”

“Republic City apparently has had some issues getting certain fruits, like limes.”

“Ah, I hear those were hard to get for a while. Lemons and limes were being used for the troops and the relief packages. Small, but high in vitamin C. Good for staving off scurvy during leaner times.”

Korra shrugged. “That makes sense.”

“So what’s the hold up now then?” Mako asked.

“I’d guess some folks prefer the Earth Kingdom first policy, that and keeping the supply low so the demand is high.”

“So another area where there isn’t any government oversight,” Mako murmured.

“Say Avatar Korra,” Chow started as he bent down to be at Korra’s eye level. 

"What happened to your leg?”

“I had a bit of a nasty fall, broke it clean in two,” Korra answered, rubbing her cast unconsciously.

“There’s a healer here in the lower ring. He’s amazing. They call him the bone master. I bet he could fix you up. I broke my arm not long after we got back. He had me mended and working the very next day.”

“I do need to continue my treatment…” Korra said as she considered the option.

“But with a lower ring, doctor?” Zhou Rhen asked nervously. “I don’t know if we should entrust the Avatar’s body with someone like-”

Chow’s face reddened. “And why not? He’s as good as any of those crooked doctors in the upper ring slinging tiger-boar blood potions and snake blams.”

“I’m up for at least checking him out.”

Chow beamed with the knowledge he was assisting the Avatar. “Here, let me jot down his location.”

***

“This doesn’t look like a medical establishment,” Zhou Rhen murmured as the three stood outside the door of the alleged 'Bone Master.' It was a modest structure no better or worse off than the other small shops in the lower ring. In the window were stacks of dusty books and papers, no indication of what kind of business it really was.

Mako took it upon himself to pound a fist on the door. The three shared a look as a crashing sound could be heard inside. Mako was about to knock again when the door opened. A stooped-over old man with a big poof of white hair stood in the doorway eyeing the group. “Are you here for healing or matrimony services?”

“Uh…” The three stammered.

Mako gestured to Korra’s cast. “Healing, obviously.”

The old man bent down lower than he already was and eyed Korra’s left leg. 

“Alright, come on in.” He eased himself back up and shuffled inside. 

The group looked around the small hovel as the old man started clearing things off a large wooden table in the middle of the room.

“Sorry, we never caught your name?” Zhou Rhen asked.

“Friends call me Beanie,” the old man muttered, scooping up another load of clutter to move. 

“My uncle recommended we come to see you,” Mako started, taking a few steps towards the healer. “He said you helped him recently with a broken arm?”

Beanie paused for a moment between runs. “Chow, was it?”

“Yes,” Mako said, feeling a smile tug at his lips.

Beanie blew a raspberry. “He was a big wuss.”

Korra smirked as she watched the smile fall off Mako’s face. 

Beanie finished clearing off the bric-a-brac from his table, and gave the old piece of furniture a few swipes of his hand. Dust billowed off, small particles glittered in the sunbeam pooling in from the windows. 

“No recent patients?” Zhou Rhen asked, eying the dust.

“None needin’ the table. A broken arm or a couple of fingers are more prevalent in these parts. Also, the wedding officiation business has really been taking off.”

“Is that a newer venture?” Zhou Rhen asked politely.

Beanie nodded. “A lot of the young strapping people of the lower ring were scooped up by Kuvira. Those are also the people most likely to get hurt. I noticed many wanted to marry their sweethearts before going off to fight the good fight. So I got my license and hung out a second shingle.”

Korra clicked her tongue on her teeth. “I guess that makes sense.” She tried to visualize the old man in front of her somehow looking presentable enough to perform a wedding ceremony, but it just wasn't coming together in her mind. Maybe that didn't matter so much to the bride and groom, if he was performing rushed pre-war weddings.

“Alright, girly, let's get you up on the table and take a look,” Beanie said as he offered a hand to Korra. She took it and eased herself upright. “You strapping lads want to lift her up there?”

“That’s not-” Korra started, but Zhou Rhen and Mako were quickly on either side of her. They both bent down so Korra could put her arms around their shoulders. They then each grabbed a thigh and hoisted her onto the end of the table. 

Beanie gestured to Korra to scoot back, so her legs were laid out straight along the table. He then pulled out sheers and began cutting into the cast.

“You can put a new one on afterward, right?” Korra squeaked.

Beanie snorted as he continued to snip. “You won’t be needing one when I’m through.”

Korra flashed Mako and Zhou Rhen a worried look. “Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea.” Korra started to rock her torso in an attempt to roll off the table. 

“I need you to sit still, Miss Avatar. You don’t want my scissors to slip.”

The two halves of Korra’s cast fell off her leg with a thud on the table. Cut right down the line between Ikki and Meelo’s paintings. Beanie moved to sweep them from the table.

“Wait! I want to keep those,” Korra cried out.

Beanie switched movements and passed the two halves into Mako’s arms. “I’d recommend leaving them outside for a bit. Let that funk air out.” 

Mako grimaced as he looked around for a spot to place Korra’s cast pieces. He held them as far away from his body as if they were contagious.

Korra looked down at her leg, it hadn’t been that long, so there wasn’t any significant shrinkage or loss of muscle. She could see the angry bright skin of the scar where bolder broke the skin. 

Beanie palmed his sleeves, pushing them up to his thin but muscular arms. He then fluttered his hands at Zhou Rhen and Mako. “Step back, boys. I need my space.”

The two young men obediently shuffled away from the table. Beanie moved to Korra’s left side. He then widened his stance, squatted down, and closed his eyes.

Korra, Mako, and Zhou Rhen shared looks as they watched the motionless old man.

Beanie’s eyes flashed open, and he laid his gnarled hands on Korra’s leg. They were still at first but then started to shake until Korra’s whole leg rattled. 

What was happening didn’t hurt, but it definitely felt weird to Korra. Like a deep pressure on the area surrounding the wound. 

“C’mon, you little bits!” Beanie moaned as his whole body began to shake.

“Little moooooooore.”

The old man’s arms began to rise, lifting Korra’s leg. Then in a flash, he let go. Korra’s leg began to fall, but with a few quick gestures of Beanie’s hands, the leg held still in the air. He raised his fists to the ceiling, balling them tightly. His sinewy arms taught. A soft crunching sound came from Korra's leg as the bone mended.

Beanie’s arms then fell, and his body went limp. Korra’s leg landed on the table with a thud. 

Mako and Zhou Rhen flinched as they watched Korra’s heel collide with the hard wooden table. Waiting for a cry from the Avatar that never came. 

Beanie teetered a bit as he waddled out of his squat. “Phew. Reluctant little bastards, but the two halves are together now.”

“How does it feel, Avatar Korra?” Zhou Rhen asked hesitantly.

Korra eyed her left leg. She started by flexing her toes and then dared to draw her foot closer, bending the knee. It felt normal. She grinned and straightened her leg to bend it back up again.

“It’s healed.”

“Sure is,” Beanie replied proudly. “Go on, put some weight on it.”

Korra rotated her body, swinging her legs off the side of the table. She led with her right leg, placing her foot flat on the ground. She then eased her left down to the floor. She scrunched her toes a few times on the cold floor, then pushed off the table and stood. 

“This is incredible.” Korra took a few timid steps, then as her confidence grew, she did a lap around the table. “I’m walking!”

“Will she need crutches at all?” Mako asked as he stepped closer. 

Beanie rubbed his chin. “Shouldn’t. Give it a few days before going on a run or anything that strenuous. But she should have no issues walking around.”

The old man walked over to a side table and started scribbling on a pad of paper. He tore a sheet off and passed it to Korra. “Here’s my fee.”

Korra eyed the paper, and her eyes bugged. “That’s like Two hundred and forty yuan. Is there an Avatar discount?” 

Beanie tapped the sheet in Korra's hands. “That has been applied to the bill.”

“You’ll take Yuans, right?”

Beanie nodded.

Korra looked over to Mako. “Did you bring any money with you?”

Mako’s brows furrowed. “Don’t you have any?”

“A little, from my parents,” Korra replied, shrugging. “That reminds me I still owe Bolin….”

“Asami doesn’t give you an allowance or anything?” Mako asked as he dug around in his pockets for his wallet.

“Why would she do that?” Korra stepped closer. “Did she do that for you?”

Mako blushed and started searching more feverishly. “Not exactly.”

“I don’t know if I should be jealous or proud.”

Beanie cleared his throat.

“I have some money with me, Avatar Korra,” Zhou Rhen offered, pulling out a little satchel from his robes.

Korra waved the young men closer. “Okay, how much you all got? I have about forty-eight yuan.” Korra held out the coins in her palm for them to see.

Zhou Rhen placed seventy-five yuan onto the pile.

“I’ll pay you back,” Korra promised, counting the yuans with her own. “So that means I just need-”

“One hundred and seventeen,” Mako says, taking the coins out of Korra's hands and combining them with his. He pulled out a few more from his back pocket and motioned to Beanie that he was ready. The old man bowed and held out a small tray. Mako dropped the coins into it with a crescendo of noise.“Much appreciated.”

Zhou Rhen and Mako started towards the door. 

“Remember, I do weddings,” Beanie called out as he started to count his loot. “Tell your friends!”

“I wonder what the fee for that is…” Mako grumbled.

“Not to be rude, but do you think that was a bill your uncle could afford?” 

Zhou Rhen asked, keeping in step with Mako.

The Firebender pursed his lips. “I bet he inflated the cost because Korra is the Avatar. Old bastard must know the Republic City dwelling Avatar is no pauper.” 

“Though today she might have proven otherwise,” Zhou Rhen said with a smirk.

Korra trailed behind the boys, not paying attention to their conversation, even though she was the subject. She looked back into Beanie’s shop, then stopped before clearing the door. She shuffled back in and held out a hand to Beanie.

 “Thank you, I can’t believe I’m walking!”

“My pleasure, Avatar,” Beanie replied, bowing as he accepted her hand.

“Actually, I have a question. Is it possible to heal paralyzation? A boy I know had a terrible fall on his spine.”

Beanie shook his head. “Sorry, no. I work with only bones and minerals. That type of injury is affecting the nervous system.”

Korra cocked her head to the side. 

“It’s like the puppet strings of the body. But once a string's cut, the body part doesn’t feel the pull that tells it to move anymore.”

“I understand.”

“I’m sorry to hear that has happened.”

Korra let out a long breath. “Me too. Thank you again.”

***

It wasn’t tricky for Opal to track down Kai and the other boys. Once the group made it to the lower ring, she asked the first local person she saw if they had seen any air bison and was pointed in the right direction. She chose to fly with, figuring the boys would have Lefty camped up on the roof of their hostel.

That’s where the massive beast was resting. Opal gave him a few scratches on his wooly ears before dropping down to street level. Conveniently Kai and the other bends were loitering out in front of the building, playing with the scruffy-looking local children.

“Mind if I join?” Opal asked as she landed in the middle of the game. 

Kai smirked. “Finally.” He threw the ball to Cheng and waved Opal to follow him away from the game and towards the hostel. “So, what’s the plan?”

“You all are going to continue on your original mission. We got everything handled here, and your talents would be better spent continuing to aid the small towns.”

Kai pursed his lips and shook his head a few times. “You're sidelining us. Why?”

“Not exactly,” Opal replied, resting her back against the hostel wall. 

“If this woman is actually Kuvria, you’re going to need all the backup you can get. You know what she is capable of. And who knows how much support she still has here in the Earth Kingdom.”

Opal bowed her head. She was hoping Kai would go without making a production. She chose her words carefully. “I don’t think she is anyone we need to worry about anymore.”

“What does that mean?” Kai asked, crossing his arms and throwing his weight to one side. “Somethings up, I can feel it.”

Opal looked down at her feet, weighing her options.

Kai huffed and shook his head again. “Your hesitation tells me everything I need to know.” He took a few steps away from her and kicked at the ground. “I thought we were partners.”

“Kai,” Opal started.

“I get it. It’s privileged information. Even after everything, I’m not privileged enough to be included in the inner circle.”

Opal felt her stomach tighten. She didn’t want to lose Kai’s trust. After all their time together traveling the Earth Kingdom, she knew he really was someone you could count on, no matter what. “It’s not that we don’t trust you. And trust isn't the right word. It's almost better not to know this information.”

Kai took a few steps back towards Opal. “Tell me.”

“Only if you promise to take the others and go about your original mission. They can’t know, and it's not possible for you to remain here with them and somehow keep this secret.”

Kai bit his cheek.

“We’ve got this handled, I promise. This type of problem is going to be solved with diplomacy, not fighting.”

“Fine,” Kai conceded, almost spitting the word.

Opal took a breath before speaking. She said a silent prayer that she wasn’t dooming everyone with this one decision. “It’s not Kuvira.”

“Seriously?”

Opal nodded.

“But how can you be sure?” Kai pressed.

“Because we know where the real Kuvira is.”

Kai flinched, “She survived the crash?”

“Listen, I can't tell you anymore, for now. You and I can sit down when this is over, and I promise I’ll tell you the whole story. Just be comforted right now with the fact that we are not dealing with the real Kuvira.”

“I had a feeling Jinora was hiding something from me when all that stuff went down after the trail. When she left with Korra to go to the desert,” Kai muttered, swiveling his head back and forth. He punched the air. A few quick jabs at an invisible foe. “I knew it!”

Opal waited for Kai to finish. Once his shoulder slumped, she placed a hand on them. “We’ll talk more. When we’re all back at the temple. I promise.”

Kai replied with a slight nod. 

***

“So what do we do about Tu?” Opal asked the recently reunited gang seated around the visiting area of the Avatar suite. On the coffee table in the middle of their plush chairs sat an extensive offering of finger foods.

Mako reached for a piping hot reef crab Rangoon. “I don’t think we can devote any more time to him.” He replied between puffs of air to cool the fried appetizer down.

“Agreed,” Suyin replied swiftly after Mako. Something tells me he isn’t in danger, just trying to stay out of dodge. “If he is a captive of the Dai Li, we’ll find out soon enough.”

“So, what do we do to prepare for the trial?” Opal asked, looking to her mother.

Suyin was stooped over in her seat, elbows on her knees, her chin resting on her palms. “I still don’t know what the best course of action is. All-day, I debated in my mind whether I solicit our allies and tell them what we know or is it better we drop the news to everyone at the trial, take the whole government body by surprise? We have one day to strategize.”

***

Korra laid awake as she recounted the events of the day. Her eyes drifted over the ornate pattern on the ceiling, searching for something to focus on, but it was so busy. She wanted to roll over, but that would break the illusion she was trying to create for herself, that Asami was asleep beside her

Korra let out a breath. She wondered why it was so hard to sleep without Asami. She slept alone most of her life, with great ease. Apparently, that was a former skill she had taken for granted. How many more nights did she have away from Asami? What next problem would arise in another part of the world in the near future. 

“I’m gonna have to figure it out at some point, but I guess not tonight,” Korra moaned, pulling herself from her bed. She eased her right leg to the floor and then her left, forgetting herself for a moment. As both bare feet made firm contact with the cold tile, a smile tugged at her lips. There was a door to a small outside balcony from their share sitting area in the Avatar suite. Korra figured a little fresh night air might calm her mind, and this little spot was as good as it was going to get. It wasn’t worth the risk for her to travel to the ornate garden and Koi pond that had been recreated as best it could in Queen Hou-Ting’s original vision. If it was easier for her, Korra had half a mind to piss in that pond a final diss on her Qunnie-ness.

Korra pushed open the door to the balcony and was surprised to find a startled Zhou Rhen. After getting over the shock of a suddenly burst open door, he waved from his seat.

“Korra.”

Korra made it fully onto the balcony and then closed the door. “Couldn’t sleep either?”

“The time change has me a bit mixed up, but I will be in trouble here in a bit. I need to wake up early to…” Zhou Rhen stopped himself, realizing he perhaps shouldn’t reveal his Spirit World conversations with Jinora. 

Korra curled an eyebrow, waiting for Zhou Rhen to finish.

“To do my morning meditations.”

“No one is forcing you, but I understand wanting to keep some kind of schedule.” 

“And is the time difference affecting you as well?” Zhou Rhen asked.

Korra bowed her head. “It’s stupid, but it feels weird sleeping without her… I’ve never gotten so close with another person like this before.”

Zhou Rhen looked down at his hands. “I’ve never been in a relationship before.” 

“How old are you?”

“Twenty-four.”

“You’re young. You've got plenty of time,” Korra offered with a wave. “I didn’t start dating until I came to Republic City. I can’t imagine there’s a lot of potential romantic partners in the White Lotus compound you came from either.”

Zhou Rhen nodded. “Just a lot of old men, if that’s your thing.”

Korra chuckled. “I’ve learned I don’t discriminate based on sex, but age… I might have limits.”

“Miss Sato is older, right?” Zhou Rhen asked, tilting his head curiously.

“Just by a year, but she’s so much more mature. Even when we first met, I was intimidated,” Korra slapped her hands on her thighs. “Like wow, here is a confident woman.”

“She is a bit intimidating,” Zhou Rhen admitted, thinking of their first meeting at Bolin and Opal’s engagement party.

Korra nodded enthusiastically. “When you first meet her and learn who she is and what she does?” She let out a long breath. “And I was just some hot-head from the sticks who could not handle jealousy if my life depended on it. During that whole situation with Mako, she always kept her cool… Funny how it all worked out in the end.”

“Were you attracted to her when you first met?”

“I honestly just felt really conflicted. Asami was so welcoming to me, and we worked well together. But she was with Mako, and I really liked Mako. I couldn’t help but feel like she was in the way of my happiness. But when things didn’t work out with Mako like the third time, Asami was still around. She was so supportive of me and what I was going through,” Korra looked down at her lap. The thumb and pointer of her right hand were worrying with the pointer on her left. She knew she was not supposed to dwell on the past but felt a tinge of shame creep in. “I feel so stupid for ever feeling jealous in the first place.”

“When did your feelings for her change?”

Korra snuck a look at Zhou Rhen. “This going in your little notebook?”

Zhou Rhen pulled his book from the small end table beside his chair and let it fall with a thud. “Not tonight. Right now, I’m asking as a friend.”

Korra smiled and looked out over the balcony. Her view of the city was a bit obstructed by the railing, but she could still see most of the twinkling lights. It wasn’t the Republic City skyline, but it had its own kind of beauty. Many of the buildings were over a hundred years old. Republic City was all shiny and new.

“I accepted my feelings when I returned to Republic City. Seeing Asami again after three years, what I felt about her during my time away became amplified. Like I couldn’t breathe but at the same time was filled with this incredible energy.”

“What kind of energy?”

Korra felt her face redden and hoped it was just dark enough for Zhou Rhen not to notice. “It’s embarrassing to say; no one has ever made me feel that way before, but it was like this incredible urge to show off? Asami would look at me, and I’d want to pick up the Air Temple Gazebo and bench press it. But showing off and courtship was entirely inappropriate for an active invasion. Though maybe all that pent-up energy was what I needed to take on Kuvira. I had really sucked in all fights prior to that moment. When they actually changed, probably before my injury from the Red Lotus, I didn’t have a grasp on what it meant or if it was possible. I was pretty sheltered in the compound.”

“This is an area you can affect change in, you know,” Zhou Rhen offered.

Korra cocked her head.

“The White Lotus’s purpose is to work for you, Korra. Now that you are an adult, you can give feedback to the organization, let us know how to serve the next Avatar better. You were the first Avatar the organization helped raise. You were the guinea-sow. And without access to the past Avatar incarnations, you and Avatar Aang are all it has for guidance.”

Korra winced.

“I’m sorry to bring up the previous Avatar. I-” Zhou Rhen stammered, repositioning himself to face Korra more directly.

“It’s okay; I just have to remind myself it’s not my fault they're gone.”

“It truly isn’t.”

“So I can help the next Avatar, huh? ” Korra put her arms behind her head and feet up on the railing in front of her. “Why didn’t you lead with that when you first came?”

Zhou Rhen chuckled. “ The truth is, I haven’t finished my training. When Tenzin contacted us, a decision had to be made; send my master to be with you until I was ready or send me. My master determined that it would be best if you had someone who would be able to be a constant for you.”

“It was probably the right call. I’m pretty sure I would have found an old man counseling me even more off-putting.

“My master never was meant to be your counselor,” Zhou Rhen started, envisioning his old teacher. The sour look permanently smeared on his face. His uncle had warned him about 'lame turtle duck' members, those who were destined to just be a seat warmer for the next to assist the Avatar. Some handled the position with grace, but others definitely got a chip on their shoulder over it. “And the one I train likely won’t council the Avatar, and they’ll train the one that does. The positions must always be filled. No lapses allowed. This is to ensure the knowledge is never lost and we are prepared for any contingency.”

“You mean if I kick the bucket unexpectedly?”

“For any Avatar’s untimely demise. The beginning of the cycle is always when things are most vulnerable. I heard there was an effort to kidnap you as a child by the Red Lotus.”

“Well,” Korra sighed, feeling the memory of her poisoning threatening to flood her mind. “They eventually succeeded. I guess persistence does have its merits.” 

“And it's true that their goal was to kill you in the Avatar State, to end the cycle?”

Korra hung her head, accepting she was once again going to remember her darkest moment. “It was the closest I’ve ever been to death. Except maybe when I redirected Kuvira’s spirit cannon. But that was a split-second decision. When I was poisoned, it was a drawn-out process. I was disoriented and even hallucinating.”

“The method was used to trigger your body to go into the Avatar state, right? To end the cycle.”

Korra nodded, her stomach tightening as she recalled the poison touching her skin, it didn't sting at first, just a cool sensation. Then it felt like fire as the Red Lotus metal benders pressed the sludge into her pores.

“Do you know how it works?”

Korra didn't hear him at first. She was too lost in that moment.

“How the cycle can end?” Zhou Rhen repeated.

Korra perked up a bit and gave Zhou Rhen a nod. “Raava dies with me, somehow.” Korra recalled at that time she didn't see Raava. No words of encouragement from her other spirit, only the cruel words of Vatu.

“Yes, in a way. The Avatar state is a time when your spirit and Raava’s are joined. A conscious decision to fuse together must be a conscious decision to separate. If you died in the Avatar state, Raava would be trapped. We don’t know what will happen to Raava, but your spirit would experience true death, unable to reincarnate. Aang struggled with the Avatar state during his Avatar training. His earthly ties kept him from truly embracing his role. He was young but very much in love."

Korra held up a quick hand before returning it behind her head. “I think I see where this is going, but you don’t have to worry about Asami and me. I can go into the Avatar state.”

“But could you make a choice between her life and your duty?”

“Asami understands my duty as Avatar, probably more than most. She would never.”

“I said, could you?”

Korra thought back to her conversations with Kuvira while she was awaiting her trial. The cold look in the dictator's eyes as she spoke. “There will come a day when the good of the people outweighs your own attachments.”

How many people need to remind her? She was starting to get the suspicion that it wouldn't matter how many times she was reminded, how much she mentally steeled herself. Nothing prepares you for that moment. Korra let out a long sigh through her nose. Which was likely why those around her still attempted. All she really could do was hope that day never came.

Zhou Rhen decided to continue without Korra's response. "The White Lotus wanted me to dissuade you from being so public with your relationship with Asami, but the organization never doubted its validity. Tenzin reached out to us because he knew that this relationship truly means something to you. That you aren’t just dating around anymore.”

“Avatar Aang and all Avatar’s before me have managed to have relationships while fulfilling their duty.”

Zhou Rhen pushed his slipping glasses up his nose. “We have no doubt in you, Korra. We just want to prepare you for difficult choices you may have ahead of you. I am here if you ever need someone to talk to. And know this isn’t just about Miss Sato or whoever your long-term romantic partner is, but children too.”

“Let me guess,” Korra started shaking her head, as she spoke. “The White Lotus aren’t stoked on the idea of a pregnant Avatar.”

“There is no formal record of this occurring, but we believe statistically is must have at some point. I’m sure conception is possible, but that gestation period is a very vulnerable time. Again, this is information for you to consider. We cannot tell you what to do or how to live your life.” 

“If Asami and I get to that point, with two women, we’ve got options, right?” Korra said with a grin.

“Yes, I guess that is true.” Zhou Rhen gave his chin a few thoughtful strokes. Again the decision will be you and your partners.”

“I honestly never really gave it much thought before. When I thought of the future, it was me as the Avatar. It wasn’t until Republic City that I started picturing a future with another person.”

“And now?”

A flutter tickled Korra's stomach. “It’s like a little whisper in the back of my mind, sometimes when I watch Asami interact with Tenzin and Pema's children, I think maybe we could do that. It's strange, imagining little people who don't actually exist. You can only picture the outline.”

“I suppose you're right. You can't predict children.”

“No, only hope for who they will be," Korra shook her head. "My mother, she has all these hopes and dreams for me… but life won’t play out in the specific way she anticipated. I try not to let it get to me, but sometimes when I think about the future, I feel the weight of that disappointment. Even though I know, she's trying. It's like part of me can't trust it will ever be genuine, that a part of her will always be a little disappointed. I wouldn’t want my children to ever feel that.”

“I could see the tension on your mother's face when we talked about the article before catching our ship back to Republic City. But I could also feel the love she has for you. I think it might be too much for her sometimes. Aang left no record of what it’s like to be the Avatar and someone’s child, only what it is like to have children himself.”

Korra nodded. “Perhaps if I have children of my own, I’ll understand my own mother a little bit better.”

Korra and Zhou Rhen both looked back out towards the night sky. 

“Korra? Korra where are you?” Mako's muted voice called from insite the suite.

Korra and Zhou Rhen both turned towards the door. Mako’s annoyed face pressed against the glass. Once he spies the pair, he thrusts it open. “Suyin stopped by, said there is some commotion where they are keeping Fake Kuvira.”

Korra shot up from her seat and met Mako at the door. Together they moved to the suite exit and down the hallway towards Kuvira’s holding chamber, both still in bare feet. 

When Zhou Rhen made it inside the suite, a sleepy Opal stood alone, rubbing her eyes. “What’s going on?”

***

The halls were fortunately empty of any other statesmen. No sounds of conflict could be heard either. The calmness dawned on both Mako and Korra. They share a quiet, curious look as they continue towards the private holding cell. 

They came to an intersection in the hallway. Mako went left, Korra right. 

“It’s gotta be this way,” Mako urged.

Korra shook her head. “Who among us has been there once before?”

Mako grunted and obediently followed behind Korra. 

It dawned on Korra this was the first time in a while she was running. She wanted to savor the moment but had to remind herself now was not the time. She probably shouldn’t even be testing the limits of her healed leg so soon.  As they neared the holding cell, they could hear some commotion. Once again, Korra turned a corner to discover an irate man shouting at a group of people. 

A disheveled-looking but well-dressed man was held away by a guard from a small group that included Suyin. The captive wasn't very tall, but thick. His was toned accept for a pot belly, that was threatening to peak out from under his shirt if the guard restrained him any tighter.

“Sorry Avatar Korra, we thought he had permission to visit the prisoner,” The place guard holding onto the man said once she was within earshot. 

Instead of responding to the guard, Korra turned to Suyin. “What’s going on?”

“It’s the six,” Mako muttered under his breath. 

Korra gave the group another look. She didn’t really recognize any of them. All she saw were older dudes ensconced in emerald robes. 

“She’s lying. You see it, don’t you? How can that woman not be Kuvira?” The restrained man stressed to the group before him. “Go see for yourselves!”

“No one else is going in-” A guard started.

“What if the Avatar permits it?” Suyin asked, turning her gaze to Korra. She encouraged her to agree with a slight nod and quirk of her eyebrows.

Korra shifted her weight as she found her voice. “If it’s just a quick peak.”

“Thank you, Avatar Korra," Chi Gao said between ragged breaths." My colleagues just need to see her for themselves, and then they’ll know the truth.” 

The remaining men awkwardly shuffled into the holding room and out of sight to get a look at ‘Kuvira.’

Korra moved closer to the man speaking to her. “I think you can let him go.”

At the Avatar’s word, the palace guard released the man’s arm and took a few steps away. The man favored the arm and gave it a few rubs. 

“I’m sorry, who are you?” Mako asked.

“Chi Gao, Governor of Siaw Jong, presidential candidate and one of the lead prosecutors in the trial,” Chi Gao said proudly, brushing each side of his fluffy mustache with his thumb.

“Badgering the defendant outside of the courtroom is highly unprofessional,” Suyin quipped.  

The five men began exiting the holding cell. Suyin and Mako paid close attention to their expressions to gleam any details of their opinion on this supposed Kuvira. 

“Well, what do you think?” Chi Gao asked his colleagues eagerly. 

“No doubt in my mind now!” Dong, a balding representative of Jein Sin and the shortest of the five proclaimed. He turned to the others, who were visibly less impressed. 

“It does appear to be her,” the representative from Ru murmured while toying with his long beard. 

Korra, Mako, and Suyin hung back and watched the group of men deliberate. After a while, a guard came back out and asked all parties to return to their rooms. The three trailed behind the six through the halls. At a large intersection, Chi Gao stopped and turned around. “You’re not in a wheelchair anymore, Avatar Korra.”

“Thanks for noticing.”

Chu Gao's olive eyes narrowed. “Why exactly are you here, if you don’t mind me asking? It’s to help convict Kuvira this time, right? I heard you stayed out of the whole trial the first time around.”

Korra’s stomach tightened as she recalled how much she agonized over the decision to publicly support Kuvira, only to pull out at the last moment. Even though it was to help Kuvira, the emotional whiplash it must have caused never settled right.

Chi Gao smirked and turned around. “Who knows, things might have run smoother had you actually been involved.”

The six took a left at the hallway intersection. Korra, Suyin, and Mako took a right.

“For a moment, there I was worried,” Korra sighed.

“I don’t think he suspects you of any sympathies towards Kuvira, quite the opposite. Clearly, he is critical of you appearing apathetic to the whole issue.”

Korra grabbed the sides of her head. "There are too many truths with different people to keep straight. I’m going to loop Zhou Rhen in on everything.”

Mako sucked his teeth. “Are you sure?”

“He’s got to know something is a little off at this point. Regardless, he’s my council, and I trust him.”

“I’m with Korra,” Suyin sighed. “Skirting the truth when he is around, which is always, is exhausting. The Airbender boys are out of the picture, so it’s all inner circle folks left. We all need to be on the same page to get through this damn trial.”

Suyin reached out and touched each of the youth’s shoulders. “Go get some sleep. We got a big day of strategizing tomorrow.”

 

To be continued….

Chapter 47: Ensemble

Notes:

Thank you all!

Chapter Text

As instructed, Ikki and Bolin arrive at the back lot of City Streets Production's office building bleary-eyed, squinting at the early morning sun. Jon Yuen had arrived before them, looking surprisingly put together for five am. Bolin chalked it up to his nursing career and the odd hours that came with it. Bolin gave him a small wave. Jon Yuen acknowledged them with a slight nod.

Shey, Lan, and Izzy soon joined the three. Their arms full with folding chairs and stacks of paper. "Good morning, everyone. I figured this back alley would be a good place to start our rehearsals. Get us in the gritty mood."

Bolin scurries over to meet the girls and takes chairs from Izzi and Lan. "Can't wait. I was able to bring Ikki, by the way."

Shey looked around Bolin's broad form to see the young Airbender girl. Ikki gives her a shy wave. "Maybe just a few years older than I envisioned, but way more believable than Izzi."

Lan started towards Ikki. "I think she looks perfect. We just need to see how she can act."

Ikki's face pinked as the adults discussed her. "I promise I won't let you down."

Shey turned her attention to Jon Yuen. "And you were able to get the time off from work?"

"Yes, my boyfriend will be working a few doubles so I can be here."

"Tell him I appreciate that." 

Jon Yeun's lips moved to make the tiniest smile. "He is very, very excited about this mover. Are you sure you wouldn't want him to audition?"

Shey held up her hand. "No, you're perfect for the role, and now that I have seen you, I cannot see your role played by anyone else." 

Bolin watched Jon Yuen's shoulders slump a little. He was already a bit anxious about creating chemistry with him. It would be all the more difficult if Jon Yuen didn't want to even be doing the mover.

Lan and Izzi set up six chairs in a small circle, placing a script on each seat. They then take a seat, along with Shey. She waves the actors over to sit. 

"So, it's just the main cast members today. My goal is to shoot this in order as much as possible. I want to harness the unfamiliarity between you two." Shey motioned to Bolin and Jon Yeun. "You only just became partners when you're assigned the case to solve what happened to little Chieko's parents." Shey points to Ikki. 

"So don't worry if you feel awkward and unsure at first. Just remember that there is an immediate attraction. One you're not ready to put into words, or even trust that it's real, but it's there. Now, let's run some lines."

 

***

Around noon Shey has the group break for lunch in the office. About half an hour beforehand, Izzi left the rehearsal session to grab some takeout. She had all the containers and plates set out around the meeting table by the time everyone entered the production office. 

"This is great. I'm starving!" Bolin moaned, grabbing the first container in front of him and cracking it open. 

Ikki took the spot next to Shey at the table. After quietly selecting a few vegetarian items, she cleared her throat and mustered the courage to speak. "You dated Asami Sato."

Shey almost choked on her bite. 

"She's a good friend of mine," Ikki adds.

Shey chewed her bite carefully then swallowed. "She spends a lot of time at Air Temple Island, right?"

Ikki nods. "She told me about you."

"We did date."

Ikki leans in. "How?"

"What do you mean?"

Ikki scoots her chair closer too. "How did it start?"

Shey smiles. "Oh, I see. It actually has a little to do with the start of this place." Shey waves her chopsticks over her head. "I had heard that Varrick was selling off a good amount of his mover equipment, among other assets, because he was moving out of Republic City for a while because... I'm sure you know about his business dealings and attempted kidnapping of the President.."

Ikki blinks.

"Anyway, he made it into an auction party, and I figured I'd go and try my luck at snagging at least a camera so I could get my company off the ground, start making my own movers."

Shey and Lan enter the lavish home of Varrick, which was to be auctioned off later in the week. Shey didn't understand how a person forced to sell off their assets would waste money on presentation, but Varrick was known to be an eccentric man. 

Lan pulls on her sleeve excitedly and points to a couple admiring a marble statue. "That's President Raiko and his wife!"

Shey rolls her eyes. "Woo hoo..."

 "I know you're here to get us a camera, but can I not enjoy why I came?"

"Celebrity stalking?" 

"Exactly." Lan let go of her sleeve. "I'll leave you alone so I can geek out without feeling your judgment. If you happen to see Bolin, please come find me."

"I think today is your best shot at seeing him," Shey says, rotating her shoulders, easing the stiffness forming there, scanning the room as she adjusted herself. Shey's eyes locked on a beautiful woman standing alone by an open window. She had long dark hair held up by an ornate jade comb and was wearing a simple, form-fitting red dress.

"That's Asami Sato," Lan whispered in Shey's ear.

Shey jumps, thinking Lan has already departed. Lan giggles and takes a sip of her drink.

"Asami Sato of Future Industries?"

Lan nods and takes another sip. "I have a better chance of nabbing the currently taken Bolin than you do with her."

"And why is that?"

"Because at least Bolin and I play on the same team."

Shey snags a drink from a nearby waiter.

"Interesting fact," Lan says holding up a finger. "She dated Bolin's brother who dumped her for the Avatar."

"Avatar Korra is something, but I don't think I'd break it off with Asami Sato for her."

Lan shrugs. "Everyone's tastes are different."

"Do you know if she's seeing anyone now?"

"No one publicly at least," Lan replies, pausing for a moment to think. "I believe it's been a couple years."

As the two speak, Varrick appears beside Asami. The distant look on her face was replaced with sheer annoyance. He reaches out to pat her on the shoulder, but she coldly pulls it from his reach. Varrick says a few more words to her, then walks away unphased by her rebuttal. 

"Oooh, Miss Sato is not happy with him." 

"And that's my in," Shey says, passing her empty glass to Lan.

Lan smirks as she watches her business partner put on her best struts for one of the most influential women in Republic City. "Good luck, buddy."

"So," Shey starts, resting her free hand on the windowsill. "What's the best way to get the most from this sleazeball? I'm really hoping to screw him over."

"Join the club. What did Varrick do to you?" Asami asks dryly.

"Nothing personal. I just can't stand a warmonger. I'm hoping to snag one of his propaganda machines."

"Planning on making your own?"

Shey shakes her head. My partner and I just graduated from Yangchen University of Arts and Literature. We're hoping to start our own production company. Our focus will be on telling the stories that need to be heard. We're hoping this is our chance to get a camera on the cheap. You think anyone else is here for them?"

Asami looks around. "I doubt it. His erotic tapestries and remaining weaponry are what people are really here for." Asami gestures towards Raiko, who is no longer accompanied by his wife, but General Iroh. "Raiko's here for the weaponry, of course. It doesn't look as bad politically as if you're just buying weapons of mass destruction that already exist, to keep them out of the hands of the real bad guys."

"I see," Shey replies, thumbing her chin. "And what are you here for?"

Asami raised her glass. "The same."

"And what do you plan on doing with all that heavy artillery?" 

"Metal is valuable and can be recycled," Asami looks up thoughtfully. "I have a vision for a more affordable Satomobile. One that a younger demographic can afford. Freedom comes from the ability to move..." Asami stops as if she suddenly recalled something important. Her eyes went wide and unfocused.

Shey cocks her head curiously. Pain flashed in Asami's eyes, just for a moment, and then Shey saw her attempt to recover. 

"Anyways, whatever I can do to keep them out of the hands of other would-be warmongers."

A chiming sound ended the two women's conversation. "Let the games begin!" Varrick shouts, lifting a glass to the man ringing the bells at the entrance of the auction seating area. 

Shey looks at the moving crowd and spies Lan. A few feet next to her was Bolin, who notices Asami and waves frantically. 

"There you are!" He calls out.

"Good luck," Asami says, bowing her head and then making her way to Bolin. 

"You too..." Shey murmurs as she watches Asami leave.

Lan hustles over to Shey and grabs her arm excitedly. "Did you see him? Ah! He is so handsome!"

Shey keeps her eyes on Asami. Now that she was facing away, Shey got a look at how little of Asami's back was covered by her red dress. Bolin holds out a gentlemanly arm to Asami, and she accepts it with familiar ease.

"Ooo, and now you have an in!"

"They aren't together, right?" Shey asks, feeling a slight pang of jealousy.

"No, but they'd make a handsome couple," Lan says as they watch Bolin and Asami head towards the action room, interacting with the comfort of two people who have known each other their whole lives. "Bolin's dating this Air Nation girl. Apparently, she's from a wealthy family in Zaofu, but not much is known about her."

The bells chime again, the last call warning.

"C'mon, let's get ourselves a camera!" Lan squeaks. "And maybe a seat behind our crushes."

Shey rolls her eyes and follows. 

 

***

Shey looked at her bidding sheet and realized it was not reflecting the order in which the items were actually being auctioned off. Varrick must have cleverly determined what items people would get most excited about, put them first on this list, and ultimately save them until the end. Shey let her paper fall to the floor, accepting that trying to track when her camera would come up for sale was meaningless. 

So far, the hottest bidding war was over a nude rendering of Avatar Kyoshi riding an elephant Koi. 

"A little trinket I picked up on Kyoshi Island back in my fishing days," Varrick explained to the crowd. "But that was a long time ago, so now it's kind of kitschy and vintage."

The tapestry clearly wasn't anything special, likely from a souvenir shop, but the subject matter had a broad appeal to the group. Shey was half tempted to bid herself, but it quickly went out of her budget. 

"Next, we have a mover camera that comes with a retractable tripod that is actually..." the auctioneer starts as he refers to his notes. A handwritten portion added by Varrick is scribbled in the margins. He reads that part quickly. "Really a two and a half pod, just use a little tape and a stick, and it should be good to go." The auctioneer then pauses and returns to his polished delivery. "And three rolls of film."

Shey passes her paddle eagerly back and forth between her hands. 

"We'll start the bidding at one hundred Yuans."

Shey waits a moment to lift her paddle. She didn't want to give away her thirst for the item. 

"Alright, one hundred Yuans to the young gentleman in the 6th row. Do I have one hundred and twenty Yuans?

Shey rolls her eyes. It wasn't uncommon with her short slicked-back hair that she got misgendered by a stranger.

Another paddle shoots into the air. The bidding starts to quickly take off. Before Shey could comprehend and lift her own paddle, the price was at two hundred and fifty. 

Lan elbows her in the rib. "What's our cap again?"

"I really don't want to go over three hundred. After that, we might as well start looking at getting a new one with a tripod that has all three legs." Shey whispers back.

"He's a ridiculous bastard," Lan says with a snort for emphasis. 

"Do I have three hundred Yuans?"

Shey raises her paddle.

"Three Fifty!" A deep male voice calls out. 

Shey's head swiveled to spy on the man who so quickly took the camera from her. He was a thin man, almost gaunt, of Water Tribe descent, but it wasn't clear if he was southern or northern. As she was searching, her eyes found Asami. It appears she has turned around to gauge if Shey was still in the biddings at this price point. How did she know? Shey wonders.

Shey gives Asami a resigned nod. Asami's expression was unreadable as she turned to face the front. Shey leans back in her seat, accepting defeat. 

Asami's paddle raises above her head. "Four hundred Yuans."

"I have four hundred from the lovely Miss Sato in the second row."

Bolin leans over to Asami as if to question her decision. Shey wishes she had sat behind them like Lan wanted to. 

"Four hundred and ten," barks the man who had made the final bid out of Shey's reach. She could hear the annoyance in his voice at this new contender for the camera.

"Four hundred and fifty," Asami counters.

Shey looks at the water tribe, man. He chews his lip as he considers continuing. 

The auctioneer gestures to the water tribe man. "Do I have four hundred and sixty?" 

The man gasps his paddle, his hand wanting to raise it again, hating to lose, but his mind was screaming no more. 

Varrick, who was not allowed to comment on the bidding, anxiously moves around in his seat at the front. "You remember what I paid for that darn camera? This is outrageous!" He mutters to Zhu Li in what you could barely consider a whisper.

"I've got four hundred and fifty going once." The auctioneer nods one last time to the water tribe man. He shakes his head. He was done.

"Four hundred and fifty going twice." The auctioneer raises his gavel slams it on the block. "Sold for four hundred and fifty yuans to Miss Asami Sato."

A small round of applause broke out, as it did every time a bid concluded. Asami turns around and motions towards Varrick with her head. Shey's eyes moved over the entrepreneur. His arms are crossed, and he is all bunched up in annoyance. At least part of her goal today was achieved. 

A new bid begins. As Shey and Lan shuffle from their seats they hear a chorus of numbers on the way out. They pass by the small buffet table and take a few snacks for their troubles. 

"I was worried I missed you," Asami says, a little out of breath. Shey turns around, mid-bite into a finger sandwich to meet Asami's gaze.

"The camera. It's yours."

Lan gasps.

Shey shakes her head and swallows her bite as quickly as her esophagus would allow. "We couldn't."

Asami smiles. "I insist. I want to see what kind of stories you have to tell. Ones that aren't mindless propaganda."

"At least take the money we were willing to pay. I've got three hundred," Shey starts fishing around in her inside jacket pocket. Asami very delicately places her hand on Shey's exposed wrist. Shey could feel the heat rise to her face.

Asami removes her hand and brings it to her other, holding a small clutch. She pops it open and pulls out a small notebook and pen. She passes it to the still flush Shey. "Write down where I can have it delivered."

Shey starts jotting down the address. She's grateful for securing a lease for their production office only a few days prior. Shey was about to return the pad and pen when a boldness overtook her. She quickly added her personal number.

"Since you won't let me pay you for the camera, let me buy you a drink sometime?" Shey asks as smoothly as she can muster. She saw Asami consider the offer carefully, giving no indication of her inner thoughts.

"Perhaps I'll take you up on that offer some time," Asami replies after what felt like a lifetime.

Asami holds Shey's gaze for a moment, then brakes it at the sound of the gavel. 

"I better get back. There are a few more items I am interested in."

Lan bows. "Thank you so much."

Shey joins in with her own dip.

Asami gives the pair a little wave and leaves. Once she was gone behind the doors of the auction room, Lan grabs Shey's collar and starts tugging. 

"Holy Cow-Pigs, you just asked out Asami frickin' Sato!" 

Shey blushes and tries to free herself from Lan's grasp.

"And she bought us a mover camera!" Lan screeches. She drops her hold on Shey. "We can use the three hundred now on a decent tripod and maybe even a microphone!"

"Man, I sure hope she calls me," Shey sighs, smoothing her hair back.

Shey smiles, recalling how good that day had felt.

"And she called you, obviously.," Ikki says after a long moment of silence. 

"Made me wait a month, but she did."

Ikki feels conflicted, she was fascinated about this tale of courtship between two women, but it was about Asami being with someone other than Korra. "So then what happened?"

Shey leans back in her seat to recall their sort-of first date.

"We got that drink and then another. We talked all night about Republic City politics and the state of things in the Earth Kingdom. A lot about Bolin," Shey gestures in Bolin's direction, but he wasn't paying any attention. "He had just recently left to go join Kuvira. Nothing much about Avatar Korra that night, but that would change. This or that would remind Asami of 'this one time with Korra'." Shey looks down at her hands. She rubs a finger over the lines on her left palm. So anyways, after a whole night of talking and walking around downtown, I dropped Asami off at her car and told her I'd like to see her again, but that next time I'd want it to be a date."

"You weren't already on a date?"

"Technically, no. I invited Asami out to thank her for the camera. It would have been awfully forward of me to consider it a date without her consenting. But I didn't want any question as to why I wanted to see her again moving forward."

"What did Asami say?" 

"She thought for a moment. I think she was a little surprised, but not put off, obviously. Then she said she would like that. We kissed that  next  time." Shey turns away from Ikki, her face reddening. "It kinda inspired the location of the kiss in the script."

"You really liked her, huh?" Ikki asks.

Shey blew out a long breath. "Yeah, I did."

Ikki lowers her gaze. "I didn't know Asami liked Korra either. I don't think anyone did. So don't feel so bad."

"You know, I was supposed to meet you and your family about a year ago."

Ikki nods. "Well, we got to meet each other anyway."

"Guess we did. You're doing a great job, by the way. You've got the part."

Ikki's eyes widen. "Really?"

"It's going to be a lot of work, so I hope you are prepared."

Ikki's only response was an excited squeak. 

 

***

Tenzin found himself sighing as he reached for the next stack of papers on his desk to be read. It was his first moment alone in several days, and the last thing he wanted to be doing was paperwork. 

"You hear that sound?" An all too familiar voice asks. "It's the silence of your home when your children start growing up and going on their own adventures."

Tenzin turns to look at the door. Katara stands under the frame. A small smile on her lips.

"Mother."

"So," Katara starts, shuffling into the room. "Meelo has taken off with Bumi?"

"Yes."

Katara takes a seat in the empty chair beside Tenzin's desk. "That boy has a lot of your father in him when he was that age. Aang fled his own shame. Meelo will return when he is ready. Your brother is a good person to have at his side."

"I don't know how I feel about the idea of my son spending so much time around the military,"

"Your father felt the same about Bumi joining. Even though I had my reservations, it appeared to be the right environment for him. It helped Bumi channel all that wonderful, but unfocused energy."

Tenzin thought back to the day Bumi returned for his first visit home after enlisting. His posture had improved, and reactions weren't as big. "I suppose he was a lot more tolerable to be around when he returned home."

"Just be patient, and focus on the child that needs you now more than ever."

Tenzin leans back into his seat. "Do you feel it is possible to heal Rohan?"

"Healed," Katara pauses. "Should be considered an open-ended word in Rohan's case. Like with Korra, we will take it one day at a time and see where that takes us. Remember that a full life is possible, no matter the circumstance."

"Yes, mother."

Katara sought Tenzin's much larger hand and draped hers over his. "I will stay as long as he or you or anyone needs me. I know Kaya will do the same."

 

***

The midday sun warmed Jinora's face as she sat on a boulder overlooking the ocean. She took one last look at the blue expanse and then closed her eyes. They opened in the Spirit World beneath Wong Shi Tong's library. Jinora bounded up the tree and to the door. This time there weren't any Knowledge Seekers sunning themselves out front. Jinora 's hands found the giant door handle, and when she gave it a tug, it would not budge. Jinora tries again with two hands, but the door won't open.

Jinora spreads her arms and conjures a gust of wind to get her to the roof. She scrambles up to the big dome skylight and peers inside. The library was still inside. Wong Shi Tong himself stood speaking to a Knowledge Seeker. 

The seeker looks up and cocks its head curiously. This caught Wong Shi Tong's attention. A black blur began to fly at her. Jinora backs away from the glass dome, fearing Wong Shi Tong will burst right through it. 

A hatch to Jinora's left opens, and Wong Shi Tong emerges. 

"The door was locked," Jinora says with as much courage as she could muster.

Wong Shi Tong cocks his head to the side. "Do locked doors not mean the same thing in the physical world? The library is closed."

"I just found it odd that you would be closed."

"We are and will be closed for quite some time to humans," Wong Shi Tong replies. He turns his head back upright and then flaps his wings a few times, adjusting them.

"Why?" Jinora presses.

"A very knowledgeable guest has requested private access to the library."

"I thought you didn't care much for human information anymore," Jinora's hands dive into her pockets, seeing if she had anything of value. "Please, I want to help my brother. I could probably get you as much information and more!"

"This guest is an exception. Please leave this place."

Jinora wills herself to take a step closer to the looming spirit. "Doesn't being Avatar Aang's grandchild give me any leniency?"

"Yes, it means you survive this encounter."

At those words, Jinora accepts Wong Shi Tong's position and allows her spirit to return to the physical world. She didn't want to chance another second in the Spirit World, just in case Wong Shi Tong had a sudden change of heart. It seemed to her that the Spirit World was becoming less welcoming to humans in all ways. 

"I wonder if it's a reaction to the new Spirit Portal..." Jinora murmurs to herself as she rises from the rock. Her gaze turns to the mainland, the electric green and yellow portal towering over the skyscrapers. "I wonder if the tigerpillar spirit is still there."

Jinora took a few quick steps then launched herself into the sky. It was cooler in the air, but it was welcome after sitting in the direct sun. A little ways below here flew a pair of lemurs. They generally stayed on the island but were known to make journeys across the bay to forage on the mainland. 

Two White Lotus guards stood outside the stone barricade surrounding Spirit Portal. Jinora touched down a few feet in front of them. 

"I need to inspect the Spirit Portal. My name is Jinora. President Raiko should have my name on the list for approved access."

One of the guards pulled a small notepad from their jacket pocket and flipped through a few pages. On each page was a different picture taped in with a name below.

They carefully eyed the photo and Jinora. "Looks like we do have you, Master Jinora. Just shout when you're back out, and we can bring down the wall." 

With a few swift movements of their arms, the wall came down and out pours the portal's electric glow. Jinora did not hesitate to pass through. She was blinded for a brief moment, and then it was dark. She stretches her hands out, and they collide with a cold surface. She swivels her head, looking all around, but her way was barricaded everywhere she turned. 

"Guess he got tired of camping out," Jinora murmurs to herself as she walks back through the portal. "I'm finished!"

The walls come down. 

"That was fast. The big grumpy spirit is still there?" Asks one of the guards in a playful tone.

Jinora shakes her head. "Worse, he's blocked us off with boulders."

"We could bend those away for you."

"But who knows what could be on the other side. I think it's best if we leave it for now, wait till Avatar Korra returns."

 

***

Asami had volunteered to collect Ikki and Bolin after their rehearsal on her way home from work. At this point, she and Bolin have committed to sleeping at the temple while their partners are away. Bolin's company made her feel better about the intrusion, along with the passenger seat holding a couple boxes full of Daifuku and red bean Taiyaki. 

Bolin and Ikki sat waiting for her outside of the building. 

"I got the part!" Ikki squeals as she bounds over and into the roofless satomobile taking the seat behind Asami. 

Bolin takes the other free seat in the back. "She's a natural. Shey and the others can't get over how good she is."

Ikki's cheeks reddened at the compliment and then redder as she recalled her conversation with Shey. "Shey told me how you started dating." 

Asami swerves the car, startled by Ikki's sudden confession.

"You know, even I don't know how that all started," Bolin ponders aloud. 

"I hope that's okay."

"Of course," Asami says as she feels her cheeks burn. "It was at uh, Varrick's court-mandated auction."

Bolin thought for a moment, taking himself back a few years. A racy wall scroll stood out in his mind, but not much else.

Asami continues. "I bought them one of Varrick's mover cameras."

Bolin's face lit up. "That was why Shey seemed kinda familiar to me. Buying a girl a camera on the first date, pretty bold of you."

"That was not a date."

"But they did end up on one," Ikki squeaks cheekily.

"I can't believe you kept that relationship from me the whole time, and I didn't even notice!"

"You were in Ba Sing Se before it even started."

"Oh yeah," Bolin sighs, leaning back into his seat. 

"Besides, it's not the easiest thing to admit to. I was scared of being out about my orientation and-"

Bolin cuts her off. "Korra finding out."

"Yes."

The three sat in silence as Asami's admission settled. 

"Shey's cool and all," Bolin starts. "But you and Korra are perfect together."

"You don't have to-"

"No, really, I wish I had known how you felt sooner. Maybe I could have played matchmaker and expedited the whole love process."

Asami shakes her head. "Looking back, everything happened as it should. When Korra was healing, the last thing she needed was the burden of my feelings or a relationship. And I do value what my relationship with Shey showed me."

"I guess that's true. I probably would have blown it with Opal had she met me back when I was the person I was dating Eska or Ginger."

"But you grew a lot from those relationships."

"Hope you're taking notes, Ikki," Bolin says as he pretends to push glasses up his nose. "Your first boyfriend might not be your forever guy, but all relationships you have hold a value."

"Or first girlfriend," Asami adds.

Bolin blinks and looks at the younger girl. Ikki blushes and slumps into her seat. 

"Girlfriend, boyfriend, whatever you want, Ikki. The world is your oyster-crab!"

 

***

Not long after Asami, Bolin, and Ikki entered the dining room at the temple, an acolyte appears in the doorway, points to Asami, and makes the phone gesture with her hand.

Asami's so excited she jogs to the phone room. She grabs the receiver from the table and quickly brings it to her ear. "Korra!"

"Asami!" Korra replies, sounding just as relieved. "Sorry I haven't called you till now. It's been kind of nutty here."

"It's okay. I figured it would be." Asami turns her wrist over and glances at her watch. "My goodness, it must be terribly late there."

Korra chuckles. "Like I said, a mess."

"It's good to hear your voice." Asami takes a seat on the chair in front of the phone. 

"it's even better to hear yours. You know I can barely sleep without you?"

"Same,  and  I've been sleeping on your brick of a bed at the temple."

 "Aww, Ikki wouldn't let you leave?" Korra coos.

"She's very insistent," Asami replies, shaking her head. "Which reminds me, she got a part in the mover with Bolin."

"Ikki's going to act?"

"Yeah, Bolin says she's a natural."

Asami waits for Korra to reply, but she is quiet for a moment. 

"Did you..." Korra starts.

"I'm staying out the whole thing. Don't worry, I don't want to see Shey, and she doesn't want to see me."

Korra snorts. "How can she not want to see you?"

"Obviously because I dumped her for the world's strongest and sexiest woman."

"I'm not convinced." Korra lets out a big exaggerated sigh. "But I like the compliment."

"Your jealousy manifests in weird ways."

"I can be jealous and still want to show you off," Korra starts. "Speaking of showing off, were you aware of what you left on my neck?"

Asami's mind brought her back to the morning Korra left. A sleepy Korra sat on the bed while Asami forced herself to get up and ready. Korra groggily lifts her taught arms over her head to stretch. Only then does Asami notice the big dark splotch on her neck.

"Whatever do you mean?"

"Asami!" Korra whines. "It was huge! Opal pointed it out to everyone. It's finally starting to fade. I'm lucky I normally wear a high collar."

"I'm sorry, but if someone hadn't been so good in bed, I wouldn't have had to muffle myself, so the whole temple didn't wake up."

"I see what you tried to do there." Korra let herself slide a bit down on the loveseat. She looks at her feet and is reminded of news she had to share, but at that moment decides to save it as a surprise. "Listen, I can't explain why I need this favor now, but could you loan me two hundred and forty yuans?"

"But that's so intriguing," Asami says, clutching the receiver closer. "Did you lose a bet or something?"

Korra lets out a groan. "Let's just say the bill was way higher than expected."

"I'll have some money wired to the First National Bank of Ba Sing Se. I believe they are fairly close to the palace."

"I'll pay you back, I promise."

"Korra, you don't have to pay me back."

"But-"

"I got you covered, Babe."

"Thank you." Korra lets out a long yawn.

"Why don't you try getting some sleep."

"Okay. I miss you."

"I miss you too." Asami held the receiver to her ear, waiting for the sound of Korra hanging up the phone. Once she was sure Korra was gone, she hung up. She sat in the room for a moment. Her heartfelt both a little fuller and achier. The phone call made her miss Korra all the more. Asami's stomach began to growl, reminding her to go back and get a little dinner. 

 

*** Ba Sing Se ***

On the last day before the trial, Korra and the gang rose early and gathered at Wu's empty penthouse. Everyone was seated except for Suyin, who addressed the small group, and Zhou Rhen, who was sent to make some tea in Wu's kitchen.

"So,” Suyin starts, clasping her hands together. "This is how the trail is going to be formatted. There is no judge or jury. Just a forum of all representatives who wish to participate. The decision as to what to do with Kuvira will come down to a vote.

Mako raises his hand. "That guy last night said he was the lead prosecutor.

 "Chi Gao will be leading the argument to execute her again,” Suyin starts when a loud clanging breaks her concentration. “This is what my friends in-”

Suyin turns around to spy Zhou Rhen, with a tray holding an ornate teapot and cups, entering the room. She doesn't notice him shoving aside a broken cup with his foot.

"And is there someone arguing the contrary?" Korra asks.

Zhou Rhen places the tray on the small coffee table. He puts a cup near each person and then starts to pour.

Suyin shrugs and reaches for her cup.” I guess we'll see tomorrow unless we can find out today.

"So this whole process is going to be a mess?” Opal asks. 

"Yes, but I think we can use that to our advantage. We let Chin Gao bark for a bit, then swoop in with the information that this isn't even Kuvira."

"Great,” Opal says sarcastically. “And who is going to be the one to do it?"

Suyin lays a hand on her chest. "I figured I could. I'm not too close to the issue."

"Uh, Mom, did you forget that you basically raised Kuvira?

Suyin near spits out her tea.

"We're all too close," Opal says. She then points to Zhou Rhen. "Accept Zhou Rhen, but then reps will be asking, who the heck is this guy?"

"We need someone on the outside,” Mako starts, then pauses. “But not too on the outside.”

Suyin lets out a long sigh. "Regrettably, yes."

"Maybe I could talk to Bingwen,” Korra offers, looking around the group. “He seems to know what's going on with everyone around here."

Suyin gives Korra the thumbs up. "Good idea. When we get back to the palace, you go hunt him down."

"So we'll look to Bingwen to find someone who can lead the fight on Kuvira's behalf and then point to us to reveal the truth bomb."

"What about Wu?" Mako asks.

"If Kuvira is a fake, then the conspiracy against Wu should drop," Suyin says, looking around the room to see if anyone disagrees.

"Great," Korra replies.

Suyin motions to her daughter. “Opal and I will go visit Bataar Jr.; we can see if he’s willing to be a witness.”

“Can’t we leave that poor man alone?” Opal whines. 

“His ability to identify the real Kuvira could make all the difference in this case.”

Mako raises his teacup. “Anything I should do?”

“Maybe keep an eye on the six? See if you can glean what they're up to?" Suyin claps her hands together. "Let's rondeau back here before dinner."

 

***

The gang walked to the palace gates together, then split up once inside. Korra and Zhou Rhen stood in the main hall pondering how they could track down Bingwen. They got lucky, and he found them first. 

“Avatar Korra.” Bingwen gives a little wave as he trots over to the two. "You were missed at breakfast this morning. There were quite a few reps with magazines walking back to their rooms with long faces."

Bingwen pauses and takes a step back. “You’re standing?”

Korra nods. “Went to a bone specialist in the lower ring.”

“Oh, dear." Bingwen places a hand on his chest. "You’re fortunate you’re not more broken. I’m sure we could have found you a healer in the Upper Ring.”

“All good,” Korra says with a shrug. “I doubt anyone here could have worked as strange of magic as that guy.”

“The bill felt like we were in the Upper Ring.” Zhou Rhen adds.

Korra snaps her fingers. “That reminds me I gotta go to the bank later and get your money.” Korra gestures to Bingweng. “Did you know the job of being the Avatar comes with no pay?”

He smiles. “Of course, but your favor can buy you anything you want.”

“I got my girlfriend for that, apparently.”

Bingwen smiles. “That's all well and good for you, but I don’t recommend advertising that. At least pretend to be open to other people's money and ideas, or they may consider you too deep in Miss Sato’s back pocket to include you.”

“Don’t worry, Asami has a whole public relations team on this.”

“So that’s why Miss Sato isn’t here with you.”

Korra winks and shoots a pointer finger at him. “I'm glad I ran into you. You clearly have your thumb on the pulse of this place.”

Bingwen leans in. “You have my interest.”

 “Who is Kuvria's defense lawyer?"

Bingwen taps a finger against his stubbly chin to consider Korra’s question. "I don't believe she has one."

"That doesn't seem fair,” Korra says, looking over to Zhou Rhen. He nods.

"Have you ever been to a trial at the palace?" Bingwen asks as he tries to hold back a big grin. "Let's just say ninety-nine percent of under Hou-Ting, were found guilty."

"She isn't queen anymore."

"And there hasn't been a trial since she was."

"Everyone deserves the right to defend themselves,” Zhou Rhen counters.

"Believe me, I agree with both of you."

"Do you know anyone who would defend her?" Korra asks. 

"I could,” Bingwen says with a slight shrug. “I planned on just witnessing this historical event unfold, but I guess duty is calling me to participate."

Zhou Rhen gestures to Bingweng. "Are you a lawyer?"

"I am for the attorney for the state of Goaling. I'll have to get the Governor's blessings, of course. I’m sure if I tell him I'm doing this at the Avatar behest, he’ll trip over himself finding ways Goaling can be at your service.”

Korra beames. “That’s great.”

Bingwen holds up a finger. “Just one condition, I'd just like to know why."

Korra’s stomach tightens. She wants to look at Zhou Rhen for some guidance but thinks better of it. They can’t let on their secret to Bingwen just yet. 

Korra thinks back to Kuvira’s first trial. How did she justify her support for the first trial before everything got so complicated? Then it came to her. "Kuvira surrendered to me, so in a way, I feel responsible for her fate. I need to see her through to the end."

Korra could tell her answer wasn’t entirely satisfactory for Bingwen, but he didn’t press her.

“Okay,” Bingwen replies casually. “Let me go speak with the boss-man, and I’ll let you know by dinner.”

 

***

Mako had been wandering the palace halls aimlessly for a little over an hour. So far, nothing he'd seen had stuck out to him. He was considering trying to sit in on some meetings instead when he turns a corner and is no longer alone. A woman is a little ways further ahead. She has a large duffle slung over her shoulder and appears to be checking the tag outside every room she passes. 

Mako likes the look of her silhouette and is feeling bold enough to see if he could be of assistance to this fit-looking woman.

"Need help finding your room?" Mako calls out, jogging to catch up.

The woman lets out a relieved sigh. "Yes, this place is a maze." She turns around, and Mako's stomach drops.

"Yasmine?"

"Oh, come on." Yasmine lets her big ball fall to the ground with a thud. "I had this horrible feeling you might show."

"So you-"

"Are here for the trial, yes," Yasmine says, cutting him off. "The Dai Li showed up to my hotel in Vi, said they'd only ask me nicely once to come, and if I didn't make it to Ba Sing Se today, they would bring me here by force."

"I am so sorry."

"Please," Yasmine says, holding up a hand to his face. "Do they know?"

Mako grimaces. "We don't know."

"You don't know."

"It's not her."

Yasmine let out a long breath. "That's such a relief."

Mako grins. "I know, right?"

"But no one else knows this?" Yasmine asks, reaching down to pick up her bag. She then hoists the strap over her shoulder. "Just you and your shady Avatar crew?"

Mako meekly nods. 

"Well, why don't you creeps stop keeping it a secret and let everyone know so I can get the hell out of here and away from the Dai Li."

"It's complicated."

"Everything with you, Mako, is complicated." Yasmine gestures around the hallway. "Where is room 247?"

Mako points to a door on the left, only a few feet away. Yasmine groans. She had walked right past the room only a moment ago. She shuffles over, hauling her duffle, and stops outside the door. 

"Well, are you coming in?"

"Are you sure?"

"Come on." Yasmine reaches out with her free hand and pulls Mako by the sleeve. "Before someone overhears our conversation."

Yasmine plows into the room, chucking her bag onto the bed. Set up like a studio, the room holds just a bed, a small desk, and a loveseat. Yasmine sits down on the bed next to her bag. Mako closes the door and takes the loveseat. 

"Nice room," Mako murmurs awkwardly. 

"You sleeping a the foot of Wu's bed again? Must be hard with your boyfriend kidnapped." Yasmine confidently crosses her legs and leans back on her hands. "Think he'll squeal?"

Mako swallows, his mouth suddenly feeling like the Si Wong desert. Knowing his friend's intolerance for the slightest discomfort, he had been praying Wu was not interrogated. "He can be strong when it really counts. If you could have seen his handling of the evacuation of Republic City for the Kuvira invasion."

"Let's hope. Speaking of Republic City,"

"Here it comes, " Mako thought.

Yasmine smiles wickedly, wiggling her eyebrows. "I read quite the article from The Republic Magazine."

Mako closes his eyes as she speaks.  "There it is."

Yasmine makes a satisfying little sound like she just bit into a sweet pastry. "Thinking about how it must bruise your ego. People in Republic City, they know, right?" Yasmine doesn't wait for Mako to respond. "And the pictures, they really do make a stunning couple. It almost made up for the moo-sow shit you put me through."

Mako's eyes open, he is hoping for a friendly face, but Yasmine's is expression is stone.

"Almost," she repeats.

Mako bows his head. "I'm so sorry about that night. I wish I could make it up to you somehow."

"I have an idea."

Yasmine's stocking feet appear in Mako's view. He raises his head, and she's standing in front of him. His eyes are level with her pelvis. Yasmine pushes a hand into Mako's chest, and he leans back into the loveseat. She then straddles herself on his lap and smashes their lips together. 

After a moment of shock, Mako wraps his arms around her waist and pulls them down onto the cushions.

 

***

The streets of the Upper Ring were reasonably busy as Korra, and Zhou Rhen walked to the First National Bank of Ba Sing Se. Korra noted that the people's lives she passed likely changed very little during the past three years, and if they had, they bounced back quite swiftly. 

Korra looks over at her traveling companion. Zhou Rhen's robes are simple in design but well crafted. His glasses had a few ornate stones pressed into the rosewood. "Does the White Lotus pay you?" 

Zhou flinches and looks at Korra. "Why do you ask?"

"My highly esteemed Avatar position is unpaid, so I was curious if Avatar counselor was at least compensated for their time."

"The White Lotus takes care of my needs," Zhou Rhen replies. Korra continues to look at him as they talk, pressuring him to continue. "I come from a fairly profitable import business family."

Korra grins. "So that's it. I'm not judging. My family wasn't very well off until they discovered I was the Avatar, so I hear. I don't remember that time."

"The White Lotus used to be comprised mostly of wealthy or influential men. It's not an organization for profit but of balance."

"But usually only people in comfortable positions can volunteer their time that way."

"It's true.

"I don't really have the best concept of money. I never knew need, but it wasn't till I came to Republic City that I experienced excess."

"Are you referring to Miss Sato?" 

The pair stops outside of the bank doors.

"Not just her wealth. That whole city seemed so posh." Korra looks down at her feet and kicks at a stone. "I wish that I didn't have to borrow money from someone to pay back somebody else every time I wanted something."

"You could look into merchandising, but that might cheapen your position."

"Yeah, nothing says esteemed like Avatar Korra breakfast porridge." Korra could see the advertisement in her mind. It seemed like a Varrick scheme. He probably would even want in on the action, make a rival porridge with Nuktuk.  

"I'd probably be a big hit with children. Make them think if they eat their porridge, they'll grow up big and strong like you."

"I can barely stand seeing my face on a magazine." Korra pauses and then shakes her head. "Food packaging? Mortifying."

"Well, we could always consider investments. You would need to borrow initially, but if you make a return, you can pay your parents back and then start hopefully accruing interest you can keep."

"I don't hate that idea. When we get back to Republic City, we should look into that."

Zhou Rhen holds up a finger. "No Future Industries stock."

"I can't invest in cabbage corp," Korra replies as her body slumps at the thought. 

"Maybe just stick out of the automotive industry altogether."

"Good call."

Korra moves to grab the handle, but it won't budge. "Are they closed?"

Zhou Rhen presses his face on the glass and cups his hand around the sides to shield the glare. Inside he sees a person on the floor with their hands tied behind his back. Standing over him are two men wearing dark green jackets covered in patches, tight leather pants, and big boots. One has a short mohawk, and the other's greasy black hair is in a small ponytail. They aren't paying any attention to the man on the floor but instead yelling at the bank teller trying to open the safe. 

"I think they're getting robbed," Zhou Rhen says, his voice muffled by his hands. 

Korra mimics Zhou Rhen and brings her face to the glass. She sees the gutter punk-looking pair, and then she looks down and sees they bent a cylinder of rock through the handles on the door to keep anyone from getting in.

"Step back," Korra commands, taking a few steps away from the door herself. Korra crouches, puts her fists together, rases them parallel with her eyes, and then after a moment, pulls them apart in a tearing motion. The rock locking the door shatters, and the pieces fall to the ground. 

Korra moves quickly to the double doors and pulls them open. Now aware of Korra's presence, the two bandits scramble behind the counter for cover. Korra steps into the building, followed by Zhou Rhen. He runs over to the man on the floor and helps him stand. They both make a swift exit out of the room. 

Korra swings her arms around a bit and rotates her shoulders. She then pulls one leg up, bringing her knee to her chest and the other. "Feels good to be up and bending again." 

Korra high kicks out a flame torch from her leg to show off.

"Firebending too. I told you she's the Avatar!" Mohawk hisses to his companion.

"That's right!" Korra calls out. She thumps her hands on her chest a few times. "I'm the Avatar."

"Don't be a wuss, we can take her!" Ponytail shouts as he stands up from behind the counter and summons a stone pillar from the ground between Korra's legs. 

Korra lifts her left leg up and pivots on her right. She spins and swaps her feet, then kicks a blast of fire at Ponytail. He ducks back down behind the counter. 

The bank teller saw that the two robbers were occupied and took the opportunity to scurry out the front door.  

Korra was happy to see him leave because now she could take care of the two men without any bystander casualties. Both Korra's feet rejoin the ground. She lowers her stance and begins to sweep her hands in circles like a conductor, summoning the air around her. Loose papers flutter on their surfaces and then lift into the air. The wind storm Korra is gathering grows stronger, collecting more loose items into the fray. The punks start to feel their bodies begin to lift. They desperately cling to the counter, but the wind is too strong. 

Korra grins once they get sucked up into her mini-tornado. She shifts her stance to face the door, flicks a hand to blast some air to open it, and then bends the tornado and robbers out in one sweeping gesture. As they land, their bodies scrape along the cobble street. 

Zhou Rhen, the bank teller, and customer take a few steps back from where they stand. Papers and rubble land by their feet.

Korra saunters out of the bank and inspects her work. Mohawk raises his hand to bend. But Korra quickly stamps some earth to encase it. 

Someone must have noticed the commotion and called the police because two moss-colored Cabbage Corp vans with flashes pull up and park nearby. 

After the punks were arrested and the witnesses gave their statements, Korra and Zhou Rhen were able to conduct their business at the bank. They stepped up to the counter, which was functioning, albeit a bit disorganized.  

The teller bows as they approach. "Thank you so much for stopping those robbers."

"All in a day's work," Korra says, as she mimes brushing soot off her shoulders. "I do actually have some banking I need to do. Asami Sato should have wired me some money."

The teller nods and then flips through a large book. He reads with his finger and then stops on Asami's name and taps it for emphasis. "Now, Miss Avatar, if I could just see some identification."

Korra cocks her head to the side. "But you know who I am. I'm the Avatar."

"It's our company's policy to verify identification before making any withdrawals."

"Did you not bring your ID card?" Zhou Rhen whispers.

"I don't have one," Korra hisses back. "Can't I just bend all four elements, and we can call it good?"

"So you don't have any identification," the teller asks, tilting his head forward inquisitively. 

"I'm the Avatar. I've never needed it."

The teller looks down at his book, then back to Korra and Zhou Rhen. He holds up a finger and goes into a backroom.

Zhou Rhen shakes his head. The motion causes his glasses to slip, so he moves to push them back up his nose. "You don't have any money or identification."

"Well, it's never really been a problem until now," Korra barks back, stamping her foot.

"We're really going to need to get you more established when we get back to Republic City."

Korra lets out a long breath. "Add it onto my long list of ways I can improve."

The teller returns with an envelope. "Normally, I shouldn't do this without confirming your identity, but you are the Avatar, and there is only one of those, so here is the money from Miss Sato." He places it on the counter, and Korra reaches for it. She opens it up, and it's filled with silver and copper pieces. 

"Great," Korra says, sliding it off the counter and into her pocket. "You'll take silver and copper, right?"

Zhou Rhen shrugs. "Money's, money."

"If you could just sign for me," the teller asks, pushing a slip of paper and pen to Korra. 

Zhou Rhen takes a step closer. Korra holds out a hand at his face, halting him from speaking. "I have a signature."

Zhou Rhen moves back and sheepishly puts his hands behind his back. "Just checking."

 

***

Korra opens the door into Wu's penthouse to find it empty. "I guess we were the only ones to finish early."

"Even after all that excitement," Zhou Rhen says as a slight shiver of leftover adrenaline passes through him. 

The two go to the sitting room and take a seat opposite each other. 

"Do you know what the real Kuvira is up to these days?" Zhou Rhen asks.

"Dunno," Korra says, leaning her head back on the loveseat cushion. She looks up at Wu's ornate patterned ceiling. "Hopefully, nothing that gets her recognized." Korra let out a groan. "We should probably check up on her. I don't even know how we really do that. Can't go walking around small villages in the Fire Nation asking if they've seen Kuvira. Lian being a look-alike answers the big questions we have here, but it doesn't truly give us assurance that Kuvira is where  she  should be."

"Had this not happened, would you have the same inclination to go and check up on her?"

"Maybe," Korra replies, thinking back to that time. "But not so soon. It wasn't really discussed, the long-term maintenance of this lie. There was so little time we had to act first and think on our feet."

"Should we stop by the Fire Nation before going home?"

"That'd be suspicious. Even if I went alone, I'd be shining a huge spotlight on her. Another Kuvira look alike I just so happen to be seen with?"

"Perhaps someone else could go?"

Korra's stomach starts to knot. "I could ask Asami to go. She's got the perfect cover, her business. She's not associated with Kuvira in any way."

Zhou Rhen nods his head a few times. "Your right."

"It's a big ask, though."

"She seems to be very committed to aiding you however she can."

"Kuvira she," Korra starts. She pauses, thinking back to the day. She had a feeling he was still inside the suit. Only one parachute was seen to be activated. She wouldn't confirm that detail until much later. "She killed Asami's father."

Zhou Rhen touches his chest. "Oh, dear."

"During the invasion, Hiroshi Sato was killed helping the fight."

"Miss Sato must be devastated." 

Korra looks down at her lap. "She doesn't talk about it much. I think it's too painful. She's now lost both her parents."

"That's so unfortunate."

"I'm amazed by her strength, but do I really want to push her?"

"You could just ask."

Korra fidgets with her hands. "The problem is I know she won't say no." She looks to the small table beside the loveseat. A pale jade green phone sits atop it. "What time is it in Republic City?"

 

***

A little while after Korra hangs up with Asami, Opal and Suyin arrive. They join Korra and Zhou Rhen on the loveseats and catch up on the day's events.  

It took a while for Suyin and Opal to see Bataar Jr. He had been sequestered to another prison area due to unrelenting harassment from his fellow inmates. It was so incessant that even the guards had heard enough. 

Korra noticed that Suyin speaking about Bataar Jr. made Opal uncomfortable in her seat. It had been a long time since Opal had discussed her feelings regarding her brother with Korra. The Avatar was curious how Opal felt about him now. 

After they had all shared, Suyin decided to address the elephant koi in the room. "So, when do we worry something happened to Mako?"

Korra and Opal exchange looks. 

Suyin lets out a long sigh before muttering. "That's the problem with an odd-numbered group, not enough for everyone to have a buddy."

"Usually Mako has Wu," Opal says with a wicked smirk. 

Suyin leans towards her daughter, who is across from her on the loveseat next to Korra. "Mako, does he..."

Opal's head flys back, and she lets out a cackle. "Mom!"

"What?"

"I'm starting to believe you think everyone is gay."

Suyin crosses her arms defensively. "I do not."

Opal nudges Korra with her elbow. "After Wei came out, she asked the rest of us if we were. She's still not convinced Huan isn't"

"Opal!"

"Honestly, I don't think he's into anyone that way, but Mom just thinks he's deeply closeted." Opal leans back in her seat and gives her mom a smirk. 

"So..." Korra starts awkwardly, slapping her hands musically on her thighs. "We should probably go look for Mako, right?"

Opal throws up her hands. "Let's hope the dork hasn't been snatched up."

 

***

Mako's eyes start to sting. He'd been staring at the same spot on the ceiling of Yasmine's room, trying to figure out how to get out from under her sleeping body and what the heck he would tell everyone he did all day; It was Yasmine, on every piece of furniture in her palace studio. 

Mako really wanted to savor his feeling of euphoria after they finally collapsed on the bed and cuddled, their naked bodies slick with sweat. It wasn't until Yasmine's lips crashed into his that what he really wanted after all that had happened was to be desired. 

Mako knew Korra and Asami didn't reject him to be with each other. What grew between them had nothing to do with him. But just seeing his two exes at every turn happier together than they ever were with him just gnawed away at this little place inside him. 

Yasmine helped highlight and satiated that need for a few hours. Then she fell asleep, and Mako was left alone with his memories of their last attempt at being a couple. They didn't work then, and they wouldn't work now either. Did Yasmine know that?

Yasmine starts to stir. She tenses her body and stretches her arms across Mako's chest. "Mmm, you're still here?"

"Hard to get away with you on top of me," Mako teases.

Yasmine slips off him and reaches for some blanket to cover her chest. She looks at her wrist to check. "Six already."

Mako tenses, remember his rondeau plans. "Almost dinner."

"You got reservations at The Sighing Lotus again?" Yasmine gets out of the bed and starts to scan the floor, searching for her scattered clothing. "Listen, Mako, I hope you know this doesn't mean anything."

Mako slides off the bed too. He finds his pants and shirt and tries to get dressed as quickly as possible. He is surprised to discover he is slightly disappointed but mostly relieved. "Of course."

"I was just feeling super tense, and it's been a while, and clearly been a while for you too," Yasmine pauses to pick up her skirt. "That was fun."

Mako smiles. "It was."

Yasmine shimmies her tight skirt up her toned thighs. "Try not to let anyone see you sneaking out of here."

Mako sighs and rushes to finish buttoning his top. He slips one shoe on then the other and heads to the door. "See ya, around."

"Byeee."

Mako opens the door a crack, and then all the way when he sees the hallway is clear. He dashes out and down the hall and turns a corner. Mako then feels comfortable enough to walk at an average pace to the dining hall. He hopes Korra and the rest assumed they could just meet up with him at dinner. 

An attendant outside the hall gave him a slight bow and opened one of the two doors. Mako was relieved to spot his group at their usual table. Suyin sees him and waves her arm. 

Suddenly there is a hand on Mako's shoulder. He whips around to see a grinning Bingwen. 

"Easy there, just saying hello," Bingwen says, removing his hand from Mako and holding both out for him to see. "Feeling a little jumpy?"

"Yeah," Mako breaths out. "I mean, no. Not really."

Bingwen looks back to Korra's table. He sees the four of them peering back, their bodies slightly leaning forward with curiosity. He turns his attention back to Mako and inspects him more carefully. 

Mako's usually greased, and combed hair looked haphazardly styled. His outfit was nice but a little wrinkled. His cheeks and lips were slightly flush.

"You got laid."

Mako's eyes bulged. "What?"

Bingwen smirks, puts an arm around Mako's shoulder, and walks them towards the table. "You got laid but are scared because you probably had a task you didn't finish."

Mako nervously waves as they get close.

"And here I thought you were the boring one of the group," Bingwen releases Mako and reaches for a free chair. "May I join your group for dinner?"

Korra gestures to the chair beside her. "Be our guest."

"Dinner with the Avatar, what an honor!" Bingwen exclaims louder than necessary, so much that most of the room likely heard. Once he settles, he leans close to Korra. She moves to meet him halfway.

"Okay, I got the blessing from the Gov, so now you can tell me why you're really pushing a convicted war criminal to have a defense team? Were you squeamish about her getting a death sentence and hoping to get her life instead?"

"We can't talk here, but you can come back to my suite, and we'll fill you in."

Bingwen rests his chin on his hands and bats his eyes at Korra. "My dear Avatar, are you propositioning me?"

Korra's face slams red, and she stiffens in her set. "No!"

"Hey!" Opal barks. "What are you two talking about over there?"

"Bingwen is in."

"Allll in," Bingwen dralls. 

"We can't discuss details here, but return with us after dinner," Suyin repeats, missing the earlier conversation.

"Already there," Bingwen replies, reaching for the plate in front of him and pulling it closer. 

Suyin lifts her chopsticks and then slides them to her plate to pick up a piece of fish. "I'd like to discuss where Mako was,"

Mako flitches at his name, losing the piece of food he had pinched between his own sticks.

 "But that should also wait," Suyin finishes, purposefully avoiding Mako's eye.

The sound of a chair scraping against the floor caught their attention. Chi Gao drags a chair into the center of the room and then ungracefully hoists his girth on top of it. Conversations die down in the room at the sound of a class clinking.

"Good Evening, everyone. I just wanted to introduce myself again for any new arrivals for the trial tomorrow. My name is Chi Gao presidential candidate and of Governer of Siaw Jong. I will be leading the prosecution tomorrow. Many say I have an easy job. Do we even need a trial? I want you to know I am committed to doing any job, no matter the difficulty or size." Chi Gao raises his flute and looks around the room to see if others will mirror his action. A grin spreads across his face as he watches glasses leave the tables. "Let's give the bitch the justice she deserves!"

The group's stomachs sink a little at the volume of the applause following Chi Gao's speech. Korra looks around the room of representatives. Even if it was the real Kuvira, this level of joy in punishing her made Korra uncomfortable. But not everyone was cheering. She spied whole tables that sat silently, glasses still on the table. This stoked Korra's ember of hope that maybe tomorrow would work out.

To be continued...

Chapter 48: The Trial

Notes:

Happy Lesbian Visibility day, this was no intentional and is barely making the cut-off!

Chapter Text

Asami sat alone in her office, her eyes out one of her large windows, following a whiff of a cloud drifting by. She had been thrilled by Korra's sudden second call until Korra asked for her very big favor. It made sense, all of it. Who better to check in on Kuvira undetected than herself? Part of her was even relieved Korra didn't try to take it back and offer to just go herself. She might have let Korra, as stupid of a plan as that was. 

Getting Bolin to stay behind on this mission took more convincing than Asami anticipated. He bowed out of Ba Sing Se for the mover, so she assumed he'd ask to do the same. Bolin stressed it was because she was planning on going alone. His insistence made Asami question the safety of this mission, so now here she was getting her affairs in order, just in case and because a lot of the loose ends she needed to tie were long overdue.

Many of her father's assets were put in her name after his incarceration. A significant portion was only recently released to her after his death. One was a Republic City Memorial Gardens grave plot for the whole family. Asami needed to fill out the paperwork putting the remaining empty two spots in her name. Was it sweet her father purchased one for her future significant other or was it presumptuous that this person would want to join her family all the way into the afterlife? 

"Korra probably has an ancestral burial ground, if they even do such a thing where the ground is frozen all year round," Asami murmurs to herself. Asami realized that these were the little details she would need to sort out for Kuvira's new life. "Earth Kingdom tradition is a burial, but should I make her half Fire Nation, on her father's side. Whose traditions she followed more closely. Was it cruel to not let Kuvira choose how she'd like to be laid to rest? She denied many others this privilege.

Creating an identity for Kuvria was a welcome distraction from actually thinking about Kuvira herself, for the most part. She planned for several meditation sessions before and during her trip to somehow cultivate the strength to face the woman responsible for her father's death.

The aspect she was getting most hung up on was how little she knew about the real Kuvira. A fake identity needed to be built on some foundation of truth, or it would be unsustainable. 

Asami threw her pen across the room. It collided with the floor a few feet away. Its slow roll could be heard for a few seconds after impact. "You get a whole new life because we all felt a little too bad about letting you fry."

Asami pushes herself away from her desk, and her chair rolls back a few inches. She leans her head back and closes her eyes. She sees Korra's face. She just needs to remember who this is for. Korra has so many emotional burdens as Avatar, and she will have all the more as the years go by. If Asami can take on this one weight of Korra's conscience, it'll be worth it. 

***

Korra and the gang rose early to meet one last time before the trial began later that morning. Korra and Opal reused the dress clothes they wore to the cocktail hour, while everyone else had a new outfit that was a little less formal.

"I need some new clothes. I can't be wearing this one dress for every formal occasion," Korra moans. "Why didn't you bring the dress Bolin got you for your engagement party?" 

Opal grabs a bit of her cloth. "Tenzin advised me that I was representing the Air Nation on this mission, so dressy orange drapery is all I am allowed to work with. Why don't you quite whining and talk to your sugar momma when we get home about it."

Suyin, who had stepped out of the sitting area for a moment, rejoined the youths. "As nervous as I am, I'm relieved we are at least going to finally get eyes on Wu. I really hope he is unharmed."

"They have to display him, so any bruises would have to be where his clothes would cover."

Suyin stamps her foot. "Opal!"

"Mom, I'm sure he's fine." Opal dares a look at Mako. "Physically."

"So, should we go?" Korra asks the room. 

 ***

The palace throne room was arranged like a courtroom. Chairs were lined around the small stage in a half-moon. At the raised platform where the Queen's throne used to rest, they built a small platinum cell for Kuvira to sit in on display for the audience. On each side of the stage stood two palace guards. Then in each corner of the room, two additional guards stood at attention. Satchi nervously paced up and down the walkway created between the two halves of the rows of chairs. 

The Dai Li had taken over most of the far right side of the audience seating. Wu was in the very front row with three Dai Li agents on either side of him. A dozen or so Dai Li were then sitting behind them. Serpent and a few other Dai Li stood and watched people as they entered the room. 

Satchi perks up when he notices Korra and the others entering the throne room.

"Avatar Korra!" Satchi chirps as he shuffles over to them. "I have a space reserved for you and your companions if you wish. Right up in the front row."

Korra looks at the group and shrugs. "Works for me."

"We'll take up a few rows back," Suyin whispers as she pinches some fabric on Opal and Mako's clothes. "I want Mako out of plain sight."

"Why do I have to go with you then?" Opal moans.

"Because I'm your mother," Suyin bows to Korra. "Thank you for your time, Avatar Korra."

Korra's confused and contouring face nearly gave Suyin's ruse away, but she quickly recovers. "Anytime, Mrs. Beifong."

Satchi's eyes dart back and forth between the groups. "Just two seats then?"

Korra nods. "Yes, for me and my council; Zhou Rhen of the White Lotus."

"Ah, with The White Lotus, wonderful. Please follow me to your seats. I assure you, the best view,"

Satchi turns around, and once his back is to theirs, Korra rolls her eyes.

They arrive at the first row, and Satchi motions to the left side. A chair had been removed to accommodate Korra's wheelchair. A palace guard rushed towards them with a chair to replace the gap.

"Congratulations on your speedy recovery Avatar Korra," Satchi says with a deep bow. "I'll be joining you in this row once the event gets started."

Satchi bows again and then flutters back down towards the entrance door. 

The room continues to fill with representatives, and the din of conversations slowly grows louder. At the top of the hour, the main doors close at the back of the room. A side door opens, and Lian is escorted in by several palace guards. She has one holding her at the elbow on either side. Her hands and feet are shackled in platinum. Lian is dressed up in a United Republic military uniform, similar to what Kuvira wore, but clearly a much lower rank and at least one size too big.

"Smart, dressing her up in uniform," Suyin mutters to herself.

Lian looks so meek as she takes her restricted little steps toward the stage. The room was silent except for the soft clinking of her shackles and swishing of the guard's uniforms. The guards at her elbows lift Lian up the steps to expedite the process. A guard at the cage opens the door, then they push Lian inside. Another guard unlocks one of her wrist shackles and puts it around a bar of her cage. They then lock her inside. 

The sound of Lian's door closing was Satchi's cue to scurry to the front of the stage. "Welcome. The informal trail to determine what should be done with the escaped war criminal Kuvira is now in session. Leading today's forum-style trial will be Chi Gao of Siaw Jong as lead prosecution and Bingwen of Gaoling as lead defense."

As their names were mentioned, the two men stepped forward. Chi Gao puffs out his chest and throws out his belly as he does a triumphant lap around the front of the stage. Bingwen takes a more reserved bow and stays put on the left side. 

"I'll let Chi Gao start with his remarks and call upon any members who wish to speak," Satchi says, gesturing to Chi Gao before taking a seat next to Zhou Rhen.

Korra shoots a discreet look to Zhou Rhen to acknowledge Satchi's uncomfortable proximity.

"This is very exciting, isn't it," Satchi whispers to Zhou Rhen.

The younger man awkwardly nods in response

Chi Gao moves to the center of the stage to address the audience. "My fellow representatives of our beloved Earth Kingdom, I believe we have an obvious answer to the question of what to do with Kuvira. Kuvira had a trial. Through that trial, she was sentenced to death. During her transport to face her punishment in the land she affected most, an accident occurred, and we were led to believe she had died. And then what do we discover? She's been hiding out in a small town. There were zero consequences for her actions. The fact that she is still alive changes nothing. We need justice. Kuvria must carry out her sentence, which is death. Justice has been delayed, but no longer."

A few members of the audience applaud. One of the other 'six' raises his hand. Thin and with graying hair. He appears to just be starting to stoop over with age. Chi Gao points to him, then motions for him to stand. "Dong, of Jein Sin."

Dong slowly rises from his seat, his hand still hovering above his head. "I fully agree with Chi Gao. We carry out Kuvira's sentence as planned. The only difference is it the sentence is served later than we had hoped."

Chi Gao claps as Dong lowers back into his seat. He spies another raised hand and points at another older male representative. He wears silky emerald robes, and his mustache near touches his navel. 

"Bai Bao of Rong," the man starts. "This trial  is a waste of all our time. Hang Kuvira, electrocute her. Whatever you all choose, let's be done with the matter," the man then turns to the Dai Li. Bai Bao raises a shakey fist. "What I want to know is when you cowards will release the prince and  should-be  king of our kingdom."

Dong stands back up to face the other aging man speaking. "We must know how Kuvira survived a deadly airship crash and managed to sneak out of the middle of the desert. She had to have been aided and abetted by someone on that ship. It was Prince Wu who put together that entire crew."

Satchi gets out of his seat and starts toward the stage. "Gentlemen."

Bai Bao starts shuffling towards Dong, pushing through the small space between the chairs of the seated representatives. "Prince Wu would never aid the woman who stole his crown!"

"Gentlemen, if you please!" Satchi tries again, waving his arms to get the attention of any one of the representatives participating in the argument. 

A guard pulls handcuffs out of his pocket and raps them against Lian's cell. The clanging gets the attention of the feuders.

Satchi lets out a long sigh before speaking. "Please keep this portion of the trial to Kuvira-related discussions only. Why don't we hear a little from the defense."

Chi Gao smirks and shrugs his shoulders. "Can't wait to hear what anyone could say in her defense." He moves away from the center of the stage and leans against a nearby pillar.

Bingwen chooses to stand below the stage, level with the audience. "My fellow representatives, I have no argument against Governor Chi Gao's main point. Kuvira had her trial and received her sentence. If Kuvira was sitting before us today, I would wholeheartedly agree we carry out her punishment, but I am not convinced the woman we have captive is Kuvira."

A few in the audience gasp. Side conversations broke out. Dozens of murmuring voices hum throughout the throne room.

"Not Kuvira? Are you blind?" Chi Gao scoffs from the sidelines. 

"Besides a striking resemblance, what proof do we have that this truly is her? We cannot charge ahead on the execution unless we are certain we have the right person." Bingwen gestures to Lian. "Please tell us who you are."

Lian looks around the room. The blood pumping to her heart is so loud she doesn't know if she'll be able to even hear herself speak. "My name is Lian."

"Speak louder!" Someone shouts. 

Lian presses her face between the bars to get closer. Her hands tremble, rattling her handcuff. "I had just recently moved to New Gaipan. I've never hurt anyone before. This has all been a terrible mix-up."

"She's lying!" 

"Look how meek she is pretending to be."

Satchi shifts uncomfortably. "That sure doesn't sound like her." He mumbles to himself. 

Zhou Rhen hears the comment and dares a glance at the man beside him. When he settles back, he notices Korra is looking at Satchi as well. Zhou Rhen points to Satchi and then holds his hand palm down and wavers it side to side like a boat at sea. Korra replies with a nod. 

Bingwen stretches out his arms to try and capture the crowd's attention once again. "I'd like to call Bataar Jr. of the Metal Clan to testify."

The side door that Kuvira entered from opens again with Bataar Jr. and two guards. Bataar's shuffling into the palace room was not unlike Lian's pitiful entrance. His glasses that were tapped together kept slipping down. Bataar Jr. had to lean forward to get his cuffed hands close enough to push them back up his nose. 

Bataar Jr. looks up at the stage and makes contact with Lian. His heart skips a beat. From his vantage point, she looks so much like Kuvira. His guards continue forward, pulling him along until he ascends the steps. He was stopped a few feet from the cage. At that distance, he could see it wasn't Kuvira. As her former fiance, he would know he better than anyone.

In that very public moment, Bataar Jr. couldn't decipher how it made him feel. His mother and sister had advised that this woman was not the actual Kuvira. Perhaps a tiny part of him had hoped they were wrong. But that would mean maybe a crueler end for his ex. No, he decides. Already dead is better.

Lian's eyes search Bataar Jr.'s. She has never seen this man before. The lost look on Bataar Jr.'s face makes it clear that he feels the same. 

After a few moments, the guards tug Bataar Jr. and makes him face the room.

"And what do you see?" Bingwen asks.

"She is not Kuvira," Bataar Jr calls out with all the strength he could muster in his voice. 

The room broke out in a chorus of dissent.

"He's in cahoots with her, obviously!"

"Of course, Kuvira's husband would want to save her neck!"

"Bataar Jr. is a war criminal. He can't be trusted!"

As the audience shouts insults at Bataar Jr., Opal seeks out her mother's hand. Suyin squeezes back. 

Bingwen holds up a hand, attempting to quiet the room. "If you don't trust the assessment of her ex-fiance, then how about the family she betrayed? Suyin Beifong, can you please come to look at the defendant?"

Suyin passes her son as he is escorted off the stage. She could see all the pain in his eyes in the brief moment they were able to connect.

The guards don't bother seating Bataar Jr. They remove him from the room to return to his cell. His meager purpose was fulfilled. 

Suyin takes her time to consider Bingwen's request and then makes her way to Lian. "The resemblance is uncanny, but it's not her."

"This is ridiculous!"

"I want to look at her with my own eyes!"

"Yeah!"

Bingwen looks to Satchi and shrugs. 

The older man gets up and joins Bingwen on the stage. "Yes, I think it would be best if we all took a look to make the determination for ourselves. Let's do one row at a time, so we don’t overcrowd." 

Satchi points to a row and waves them over. As the representatives gather into a line at the side of the state, the entrance doors fly open. The doors banging against the walls echo in the great hall, capturing everyone's attention.

"Stop the trial! Prince Wu is innocent!"

Mako's head whips around as he recognizes his cousin's timber. 

Tu stands in the door, drenched in sweat, his typically fluffy hair sticking to his face. He charges into the room and towards the stage. Bingwen, Satchi, and Chi Gai all shuffle back as the hulking young man approaches.

"What the hell is he doing?" Opal hisses at Mako as she elbows him in the side.

"Why would I know? I haven't been miraculously able to get in touch with him and kept it from everyone."

Suyin turns to her younger companions. "Intervene, now!"

Mako jumps up from his seat and scooches past his future in-laws and other reps seated in their row. "Tu!"

Korra sees Mako moving toward the stage. She darts out of her seat and also aims for Tu.

Tu takes over the stage and spreads his muscular arms out to the crowd. "The only thing that Prince Wu has done-"

Tu's words falter as he feels two different pairs of hands grasp his forearms. He looks between the panicked Mako and Korra. They both scream 'no' at him with their eyes, shaking their heads ever so slightly, so the audience wouldn't catch on.

"Young man, this is Kuvria's trial," Satchi says, appearing at Tu, Mako, and Korra's side.

"Let the boy speak!" A rep shouts.

Tu takes a big breath, visibly expanding his broad chest. "The only this Prince Wu has done is captured my heart!"

Mako's eyes bug out of his head, and he loses his grip on Tu. "What?"

Tu seeks out Wu's eyes in the sea of people. The shackled Wu jumps up from his seat and makes small squealing noises. 

Tu continues. "I'm sorry it took me so long to realize, but it's true."

The room starts to lose focus. Conversations and grumblings broke out. Bingwen looks to Chi Gao. The portly man's expression was of pure shock and confusion. His gaze moves on to Satchi, who was also unsure of how to react.

Bingwen decides to step in and take the lead since everyone else was apparently petrified by this revelation. "Well, this is all very, uh moving, but a little irrelevant to the proceedings, so maybe we should take a short recess and then reconvene in twenty minutes."

Satchi wakes up from his daze and looks out at the crowd. "Yes, a twenty-minute recess."

Korra and Mako pull Tu from the stage. 

"Wait, what about Wu!" He moans as he walks with them. 

Korra grunts. "He's not out of the woods yet."

"Do you think he feels the same way?"

Korra glances back and seeks out Wu. He was still standing and watching them haul Tu away. His eyes were shining, and his expression hopeful. "Yeah, I think he does."

"It was your article that made me realize like, how I felt."

Korra lets out a small breath. "Of course it was."

They got Tu to the row with Opal and Suyin. They had remained seated while the rest of the row mainly had cleared out for recess. 

Korra lets go, and Mako tugs at Tu, bringing him to the middle of the row where Suyin and Opal are seated. Korra follows them in the next row. She takes a seat in front of them and turns around to continue her conversation with Tu.

Tu picks it back up without a beat. "I was confused for quite some time about Wu. I didn't know what my feelings were or what they meant. And then we saw the magazine, and I realized that kind of relationship was possible."

Korra dares a look at Mako. He was pale and slumped into his seat. "It totally is."

Tu nods. "But no one talks about it."

Opal leans into the huddle. "So where ya been all this time? We've been looking for you."

"Well, I had this big realization, and I was scared. I shacked with this girl I met at a bar for a few days, and it was a good time, but my heart was still only beating for Wu. So I found a place where you know, guys who like guys go and like learned all I needed to know. Then I, on my way to the fruit stand a buddy of mine, you know, one of the guys who-"

"You don't need to," Mako barks, breaking his silence.

"Okay, okay. So, he told me what happened to Wu and about the trial, so I rushed over here."

"It's good to know you are okay. We were worried you had been kidnapped too." Suyin says, joining the conversation. "Your cousin was especially concerned."

Suyin looks over to Mako, expecting him to be expressing said concern, but instead, his eyes were forward, eyebrows raised in a confused expression. Opal follows her mother's gaze.

"Oh no, you broke Mako."

At his name, Mako blinks a few times and addresses his family. "I'm fine, just ah- just a little surprised, is all."

***

The trial resumes with all the representatives lining up to pass by Kuvira's holding cell. One by one, they peer at her like a curious onlooker at the zoo. Lian wished she could turn away from all the scowling and scrutinizing faces, but her locks and the desperate need to be seen as not Kuvira kept her forward-facing. 

After everyone had taken their turn, the hall again was filled with the noise of several side conversations. Korra tried to listen as best as she could to read the vibe in the room. It sounded like many were unsure, but that might not be good enough.

Chi Gao throws his weight back onto the stage. "So, now aren't you call convinced," Chi Gao made air quotations with his hands. "The Great Uniter is standing here before us?"

Chi Gao's confident smirk fell from his face as the murmured replies around the room were hesitant. "Are you all serious?"

"Is there some immutable proof she died in the crash?"

"The proof that she survived is right behind me!" Chi Gao says, waving a hand at Lian. 

"Is there some kind of test?"

"Yes, a test!"

Chi Gao looks to Bingwen. The younger man touches his chin, considering the proposition. 

Satchi hesitantly joins the two. "Perhaps a bending test? Kuvira was, is a most skilled metal bender. Is there a way to test for that?"

"They use tests to discover the next Avatar," Bingwen offers.

"Metalbending was created after Avatar Aang was established as Avatar."

"There isn't a metal bending Avatar!" An older woman adds to the debate.

"Hey, I can metal bend!" Korra shouts to whoever made that claim from her seat. 

The older woman scrunches her face in frustration. "I mean as part of the cycle!" 

"We don't need an Avatar test."

"Suyin Beifong would know the Metal Bending test."

"She can't be trusted on this matter!"

Suyin shoots up from her seat. "There is no test, only the ability to Earthbend and the desire to learn."

"Mo-sow shit, I've tried to metal bend a thousand times, and I'm an Earthbending master!"

"There is always one sure-fire way to get someone to use their bending abilities," Chi Gao booms, cracking the knuckles on his thick hands. "Make them fight. I'd be honored to be her opponent."

"Yeah, a match!"

"Wait!" Lain calls out, but no one is listening to her. "I'm not a bender."

Chi Gao forcefully raises an arm and looked around the room. "All in favor."

Lian's knuckles turn white as she grasps the platinum bars in front of her as she witnesses a sea of raised hands. She calls out over and over, but no one notices. She tries to make eye contact with Korra, but her eyes are unfocused, her expression lost.

Korra stole a look back to Suyin. The older woman gave Korra only a slight tilt of her head. The Avatar turns back around in her seat.

"Is this a good turn of events or bad," Zho Rhen whispers to Korra.

"Well, they'll definitely see she's not a bender, but," Korra looks to Chi Gao. He was riling up the crowd with a few bending stances. "I wish it wasn't this guy she was up against."

Satchi scans the room, counting the raised hands. "I think they yay's have it. An hour recess, and we'll reconvene in the courtyard for the duel.

***

Korra and company remain seated as the throne room quickly empties. Satchi instructs the guards to unlock Lian's cage.

"Avatar Korra?" Lian cries out as the guards pull her out.

"Bring," Satchi pauses, considering whose name he should use. " Her , back to her primary holding cell for a bit of lunch. And then I will walk with you all to the courtyard.

"I can't bend! I can't do this!" Lian desperately turns to Bingwen. "Please don't let them do this."

"We won't let him hurt you. Please try to remain calm," Bingwen shouts back to Lian, following her and her escorts towards the door. "It'll all be over soon, don't worry!"

The door slams closed, and Bingwen stares at it for a moment. He pulls out a notepad he had stashed under his arm and starts fanning himself. He makes his way to Korra and her group. Suyin, Mako, Tu, and Opal had claimed the row behind Korra after the room cleared out.

"He's not going to hurt her, right?" Korra asks no one in particular. 

"Chi Gao most certainly will," a quiet and unfamiliar male voice replies.

The group turns around to see who just spoke. It was one of the six, in his late forties, with short hair that was more salt than pepper, but his long mustache was still black. 

"My name is Seok, Govoner of Kun."

"We've noticed you and your group," Suyin starts, leaning towards the gentleman. "About six of you, it seems?"

Seok nods. "We like to think of ourselves as the Fourth Ring of Ba Sing Se."

"Jien Sin, Siaw Jong, Kerkaw, Kun, Ru, and Bai," Mako murmurs.

"Precisely."

"So why are you talking to us?" Korra asks.

"That woman is not Kuvira," Seok replies flatly. 

Korra places a hand on her chest as a sincere gesture. "I assure you, she's not." 

"We wanted revenge on the real Kuvira. We've been petitioning to be considered the Fourth Ring of Ba Sing Se for some time, but the Queen never took us seriously. The outer wall is the city's true defense, but we provide the first line of defense for the capital. We are also their main source of produce and meat."

"For a proud Queen-like Hou-Ting, that's quite the ask," Suyin comments.

"Kuvira actually took our petition seriously. When she first came to Ba Sing Se and started cleaning up the mess, she relied heavily on the cooperation of other states and their governments. It was a collaborative effort that required give and take. We gave her lots of support and aid, and in exchange, she promised to make our case to Wu when he took the throne. But once she rejected Wu's right to the throne and made her grab for power, the 'Fourth Ring' did not fit her vision of Earth Kingdom originalism. Just like how she wanted Zoufu and Republic City back."

Korra leans back in her seat thoughtfully. "I never understood why she got so fixated on reverting back to the Earth Kingdom before Aang's time."

"She always needed things to be whole, even as a child, " Suyin sighs, recalling a few frustrating moments with Kuvira where the girl pushed back on her reasoning for why things were the way they are.

"Chi Gao took it especially hard. He was basing his reelection campaign on that accomplishment. His competitor withdrew after Kuvira started stepping over the line, not wanting to be the one who had to bow down to her."

Mako fidgets in his seat a few times, desperate to chime in with a few burning questions. "The trial in Republic City..." Mako starts, unable to hold back any longer.

Seok stiffens. 

Suyin nudges Mako in the side with her elbow. He groans and grabs the tender spot.

Mako clears his throat and tries again. "Were you all perhaps a little disappointed with the outcome in the desert?"

"Personally, no. Dead is dead and good riddance. But Chi Gao and Dong are especially frustrated. They wanted to witness justice."

Suyin shakes her head. "So that is why he's so desperate for this woman to be Kuvira."

"I believe so. I will also assume Chi Gao thinks being tough on Kuvira will help his presidential campaign. I wanted to speak with you because I won't be attending the duel later. I am done with the matter. I want to move on and move forward." Seok rises from his chair, giving his robes a few swats. "Chi Gao will not get the outcome he wants, but if you could somehow figure out how to let him lose this trial with grace, it will be better for all involved."

Korra and crew silently watch Seok leave. 

"They totally rigged the trial," Mako starts, bitterly crossing his arms. "He just wasn't going to admit to it."

"For the intel he just gave us, I think we let that one go," Suyin mutters back.

"So, when do you think I can talk to Wu?" Tu asks.

The rest of the group groans.

***

Satchi and the other palace attendants waste no time creating a small dueling ring for the Earthbending match. The center of the originally lush garden was replaced with a simple sand circle with a line down the center, dividing the two halves. 

The steps from the palace to the garden are long and wide. They use them like bleachers, setting up rows of chairs along the steps. This way, the observers were far enough away from the action they wouldn't get hit by a stray bolder. 

When Korra and company arrive, Satchi quickly intercepts to escort them to the 'reserved for the Avatar' section. This time Korra was not shy about having the whole crew sit together. 

Chi Gao enters the courtyard waving his arms and baiting the crowd. He ditched his suit for a more athletic bending outfit. He wore a tight sleeveless top that didn't do his belly any favors. Around his middle was an elaborate gold sash. Then, he wore tan shorts that sinched at the knee on the bottom. Across his forehead, a green scarf with the symbol for Earthbending is stitched in gold. 

Many in the audience call out to Chi Gao. Their enthusiasm for the duel starting to kick in. 

Suyin, seated beside Korra, leans over to the younger woman. "Isn't kind of odd you dueled Kuvira before her release as well?"

Korra nods. "This all is very cyclical, isn't it?"

"You're the Avatar," Opal says, nudging Korra. "Cyclical is your whole schtick."

"Here comes Kuvira, I mean Lian." Zhou Rhen points to the nearest half of the dueling circle. Satchi shuffles across the sand to meet them. The guards hold Lian's arms as they walk her to the arena. A third guard trails behind them. When they stop Lian, the guard from the rear unlocks her shackles and removes them. 

"This is to be a friendly match to test this young woman's abilities in Earth and Metal bending." Satchi motions to the audience. "Serpent of the Dai Li has offered to act as referee."

At his name, Serpent emerges from the crowd and walks down to the courtyard center. 

"I don't love that," Korra mutters.

Lian looks to the audience. "Please, believe me. I'm not a bender.”

The crowd boos.

“Enough of all this talking. Let's bend some earth!" Chi Gao calls out to the masses.

The guards at Lian's side release her arms and step out of the circle.

Chi Gao saunters over to his half of the circle. Swinging his arms and rotating his shoulders, warming them up for the fight. Once he reaches his mark, Serpent raises a hand. "Begin," he shouts as he chops through the air with his arm. 

Chi Gao waits for a moment to see if Lian will make the first move. As expected, she did not. He raises his left leg and sends over a boulder about the size of his head at her. Lian scrambles to move out of its way. It lands with a thud to her right, then cracks in half. 

Chi Gao groans and sends another two boulders Lian's way, one to each side of her. Lian sees them coming. She steps backward and stumbles. It was fortunately far enough back, and she escapes both. 

"Come now. No one wants to watch you dodge rocks all day." Chi Gao curls his right arm, summoning another rock from the earth. He brings it up into the sky, blocking out his view of the sun. With a quick downward thrust of his arm, he crumbles the rock into bits but still hangs in the air. Chi Gao waves his arms and sends the shards down at Lian, still sitting in the sand. With no time to get up and run, Lian's only option is to shield her face with her arms. The pebbles rain down on Lian with enough force to tear her flesh and clothes at some of the contact points. 

A cry from Lian gets Korra out of her chair. Suyin pulls at her side to bring her back down. "That should be enough for everyone."

Chi Gao shakes his head, "I had a feeling you'd take that one too. Trying to show how tough you are, huh?"

Lian's eyes sting with tears she desperately is trying to keep in. She lowers her arms from her face and inspects her wounds. Small scraps run along her arms, and sharp shards stick into the skin in a few places. 

Lian attempts to remove a substantial piece in her thigh with a shaky hand, but she backs off when it resists her tugging. 

"So, you figured it out?"

Lian closes her eyes as Chi Gao bellows in her direction. She wishes the earth would just swallow her up and she could be done with all this. 

Chi Gao moves closer to the center of the ring to make sure the unresponsive Lian hears him. "You fight back, we all see who you are, and you die. But, if you take beating out here, risking death, you might convince enough people and live, right?”

“You’re wrong,” Lian moans. She tries to find the will to stand but only gets as far as upright on her knees.

Chi Gao punches a quick brick-sized stone at Lian, catching her in the stomach. The force knocks the wind from her lungs, and she bends over on her knees, her head touching the sand.

"I stop, and you get away with all the horrible things you've done. Unfortunately for you, there is a certain point where the body overtakes the mind. The bending reflex will kick in once you're in mortal danger. 

Chi Gao lowers himself into a wideset squat. He raises his fits and then pounds them together. A chunk of earth twice his height and four times his width emerged from the ground. He holds it for a moment, so all can see its crushing size.

Korra's stomach drops as she witnesses Chi Gao's finishing move. He wasn't going to waste any more time proving she was a bender.

Chi Gao tears his fists apart and flexes his chest outwards, sending the boulder to Lian. She makes it to her feet when she sees a wall of rock racing toward her. Lian's body collapses around itself in a feeble attempt to protect herself. The unimaginable body-crushing impact she was expecting never came.

The bolder was still raised in the air, hovering just inches from the top of her head. Lian hears the gasps coming from the audience, so she looks over at them. Korra was out of her chair, legs apart, her right arm taught in front of her body.

"You can't interfere, Avatar!"

"That's enough, Chi Gao," Korra shouts as she pushes the boulder away from Lian. The earth around them shakes a little as it collides with the ground. "You could have killed her."

Chi Gao petulantly kicks a rock out of the area and over a nearby palace roof. "Her bending would have kicked in. You stopped the boulder before she had a chance to do it herself."

"That boulder was seconds away from crushing her, everyone saw. It's over. This woman is not Kuvira."

Chi Gao growls and then summons another boulder. He positions himself and the massive rock at Korra, who readies herself for the attack. The representatives in attendance gasp again as Chi Gao makes sweeping gestures to raise the boulder. It slowly drifts towards Korra. Chi Gao jerks his arms, and the mass shoots instead at Lian. 

Caught off-guard, Korra could only react fast enough to break the boulder into pieces before it collided with Lian. Rocks fall around her, a layer of soot coating her head and arms. 

Korra rushes to stand in front of Lian to stop any further trickery by Chi Gao. He doesn't waste any time and slings more boulders Korra's way, but she effortlessly waves them aside. 

Chi Gao's body begins to shake with frustration. His head flies back, and he lets out a roar. He was about to change his stance, but his legs didn't move. Chi Gao looks to his feet and sees they are covered in earth. 

Serpent appears at his side. "Sir, you were permitted to spar with the defendant, not the Avatar."

Satchi joins the four in the ring and then turns to the audience. "I think we have all seen enough to reach our decision?" He pauses for a moment to gauge the mood of the representatives. Their nods and small murmurs seem to be consenting. "We shall cast our votes in the throne room."

Satchi lifts the hem of his robes and delicately steps out of the sand ring. "Everyone, please head directly to vote. There will be no more recesses."

Two guards appear at Lian's side and pull her from the ground, with little consideration for her injuries. She lets out a pained squeak as they steer her to leave the circle. 

Once Lian is out of range, Serpent releases his rock grip on Chi Gao. He then motions to his fellow Dai Li to go to the throne room. 

"Thank you," Korra calls out. Serpent looks back, gives her a small nod, and continues with the crowd. 

Chi Gao grunts as he passes Korra. She sees one of the other members of 'The Six,' Dong, rush to his side. Chi Gao's head scans the crowd searching for his other fourth ring members but sees none. 

"I fear they might have turned on us," Dong murmurs, his head low.

"Unbelievable!" 

***

Satchi made all the representatives stay and witness the counting of the votes to ensure there was no dissent regarding the results. 

Korra and the crew sat together for the verdict. All in the same row, with Korra and Mako closest to the aisle in case anything else crazy happens. 

Korra bounces her left leg at the knee as she anticipates the results. She still felt adrenaline working its way through her system from the scuffle with Chi Gao. She tried to make eye contact with him a few times, but he wouldn't look her way. His gaze was fixed on the ballot counting. Korra was prepared to fight him again if necessary if the results did not go his way. 

Satchi holds the last vote slip up high for all to see. The two scribes counting for Kuvira and not Kuvira signal they have tallied their numbers. 

Suyin reaches for her daughter's hand beside her. 

"How many votes for she is not Kuvira?" Satchi asks.

The first scrib stands. "One hundred and twenty-seven."

"And that she is Kuvira?"

The second scribe rises to read his tally. "Forty-Two."

"Oh, thank goodness," Suyin moans. She slumps down in her seat slightly, releasing Opal's hand. Opal uses that free hand to wipe the sweat forming on her brow. 

"No!" Chi Gao shouts. He starts to get out of his seat, but Dong catches him by his shirt. Chi Gao pulls the fabric from the other man's grip and smooths it down. "Alright, alright."

Bai Bao, the representative who argued for Wu earlier, stood. "I do believe this verdict absolves Prince Wu of any accusations of wrongdoing?"

Wu perks up at the sound of his name. "That's right, Wu is innocent!" 

Serpent's lips narrow into a straight line. "Release him."

A younger man with the Dai Li steps in front of Serpent. "You can't just let him go!"

Serpent's eyes dart around the room. Everyone is watching them. "Formation!" He cries out.

All of the seated Dai Li members rise and encircle Serppant, Wu, and the dissenting young man. 

The room starts to fill with side conversations. Many of the representatives strain their necks to get a peek at what's happening amongst the Dai Li.

"Step down, Nimol, we have no grounds to hold Prince Wu anymore," Serpent hisses.

"Yes, we do. Clearly, something suspicious happened out there in the desert."

Serpent takes a step forward to get into Nimol's face. "All hearsay at best. Besides, holding the prince now will jeopardize our re-integration into Earth Kingdom governance." 

"Forget being a part of the Earth Kingdom governance. It's never going to be based on truth. We're just swapping the figurehead again. Nothing is going to change in a meaningful way. Fusai was right!" 

Serpent gestures to the exit. "Then why don't you go join him and his band of traitors!"

Nimol checks his shoulder into Serpent's as he rushes past him and through the Dai Li barricade. A few members follow Nimol out of the throne room. The door slams behind them with a loud thud. 

The circle of Dai Li remains in formation until Serpent gives them a frustrated wave. "Stand down." He lowers himself to his seat and covers his face with his hands. 

Wu patiently waits a few moments for someone to unshackle him, but the Dai Li have all taken their seats, his release forgotten. 

"Um..." Wu starts.

"Release him!" Serpent moans. 

At Serpent's words, Tu bolts from his chair. "Wu?"

"Tu!" Wu calls back as he waits for the Dai Li to unlock his handcuffs. Once free, he scurries to the center of the room where Tu is waiting. 

"Wu," Tu starts holding out his large hands. "I'm sorry I left that day so abruptly. I was confused, but not anymore."

Wu places his much smaller hands in Tu's. "I am a bit surprised, but I think we should give it a shot."

"Um, gentleman, could this maybe wait till after we wrap things up with the trail?" Satchi asks as he makes a shooing motion with his hands. Wu and Tu awkwardly shuffle to Korra and the other's seats.  

"Hey Mako can you scoot down one, so I can sit next to Wu?" Tu whispers.

Mako, who had almost forgotten about the earlier confession of feelings, wordlessly slumps to the empty seat to the left. Tu sits down in his chair, then Wu takes Mako's old one.

"Mako, it's good to see you," Wu says with a shy smile.

"Yeah.." is all Mako can mutter.

"I'm digging the beard, by the way."

Mako reddens and touches his furry chin.

"So," Satchi starts, hoping to regain the room's attention. "Miss Lian needs to be returned to her home, perhaps with some type of formal palace document exonerating her of... being Kuvira."

Satchi looks around the room for any dissenting voices. No one seems to disagree, and most are anxious to leave. "Alright, I believe that concludes the trial. Thank you all so much. Dinner will be offered for an extra hour later this evening, so no need to rush."

Opal leans over to Zhou Rhen. "Now that would be the real crime, not enough time for an outfit change before dinner."

"I am starting to wonder about the Earth Kingdom's government's priorities," Zhou Rhen replies, shifting in his seat.

Satchi steps away from the front of the stage and over to Lain's cell. He gestures to the locks, and two swiftly move to open the door. The platinum lock clangs as they remove it.

"And just like that," Suyin sighs. 

Bingwen trotts over to the group. "We did it! Want to skip this joint for a victory dinner with real food?"

Korra looks to Suyin. Suyin makes a shooing motion with her hands. "Why don't you kids go ahead. I want to stick around and make sure Lian is appropriately handled from here on out."

"We can stay too," Korra offers.

"Go have a little fun."

***

Korra, Mako, Opal, Zhou Rhen, Bingwen Wu, and Tu walk through the palace halls, passing small groups of representatives holding small conversations. Soon they are passing through doors to one of the many courtyards and finally away from other people.

"So," Bingwen starts, moving to Korra's side. "I was thinking of trying the Sighing Lotus."

"Oh yes, let's go there!" Wu chirps excitedly. He reaches for one of Tu's thick arms and holds it with both of his. "I can't believe we've never gone there together." 

Mako and Opal's ears perk up at the name of the restaurant. "No!" They bark in unison.

"Oh, get over that dinner already! It wasn't that bad!" Wu moans.

A few steps ahead of the rest, Korra looks back at her friends. "Now I'm really curious about this infamous restaurant."

"You humiliated me!" Chi Gao bellows across the courtyard.

The gang stop walking and try to locate where the voice came from. They spy the older gentleman crouched into a fighting stance in the far corner. His sparring clothes from earlier still draped over his body. 

Korra saunters towards Chi Gao. "Do you want an actual match?" 

"C'mon, Korra, don't encourage him," Mako says, reaching for her arm, but she's moving too quickly. 

"I can take you," he sputters, wavering slightly. 

Korra stretches an arm over her head. "I'll only use Earthbending."

Chi Gao's face reddens. "I don't need the handicap."

"You need all the help you can get," a third voice calls out.

Both Korra and Chi Gao swivel their heads to find where the voice had come from. In the far corner of the courtyard, obscured by shadows, Nimol and a few other Dai Li began to emerge from the darkness. 

"The Dai Li," Chi Gao hisses. 

"Hey, who's ever out there, help!" A female voice calls out from the shadows.

Mako's stomach drops. "Yasmine?"

"Damnit, Mako?" Yasmine replies back.

Opal reaches for Mako's sleeve and tugs him close. " She's  here? Did you know this?"

"Well..." Mako starts.

Nimol waves at the dark corner, and two men holding Yasmine on either step into the light. "We found one piece of the puzzle trying to sneak away during the trial."

After seeing Opal and Mako's interaction, it jogs Korra's memory as to who this woman is. She takes a stride forward. "I'm not really sure what you are talking about."

"Yasmine was aboard the aircraft carrying Kuvira when it went down. Isn't that right, Chi Gao?" Nimol asks.

The group looks back to find the governor, but he is nowhere in sight.

"Fricken coward..." Nimol curses.

"So," Korra starts, moving towards Nimol. "I was about to have a little match with Chi Goa, but it seems you scared him off. So, that must make you a worthier opponent."

"You want to do this the old fashion way, Avatar?"

Korra moves her head from side to side, cracking a few bones. "Yeah, I'm sick of all this talking. Let's just make this simple. A fight for the girl."

"So you do have a thing for women after all," Nimol says with a smirk.

Korra puts her hands on her hips and puffs her chest out proudly. "Yes, I do."

Opal looks to Bingwen. His eyes are wide and excited. "I'm finally going to get that bending demonstration from Avatar Korra!" He squeals.

Opal leans toward Zhou Rhen. "We have got to get out of the Earth Kingdom as soon as possible. This group can't help but embarrass themselves here."

Mako rushes to Korra. "This is ridiculous, and if anyone should be fighting for Yasmine, it should probably be me."

Bingwen steps forward. "What about a good, old-fashioned mele? Your lot vs. ours?"

"Uh," Wu, Tu, and Zhou Rhen utter in unision.

Bingwen deflates. "Really, none of you can bend?"

Korra counts seven Dai Li, including Nimol. "We got this."

"This should be interesting." Nimol motions for his fellow Dai Li to drop Yasmine. Before she gets a chance to think about running away from them, rock encircles her body up to her neck.

Tu, Wu, and Zhou Rhen shuffle out of the line of fire to stand near Yasmine. Tu gives her a small wave. Yasmine can only roll her eyes and look away. 

Korra positions herself to still be the one fighting with Nimol. Bingwen and Opal to her left, Mako to the right. One of the two paired up with Mako knocks him off the ground with a surprise pillar, and the fighting starts.

The chaos breaks out on either side of Nimol and Korra, but neither has moved. Korra expected this young and brash seeming Dai Li agent to start chucking bricks at her as soon as the mele began, but he just stood, eyes fixed on hers. 

Nimol crouches and continues to wait for Korra to make the first move. Tired of standing around, Korra releases a stream of fire from her fists. Right before it comes in contact with Nimol, a wall of rock slides up in front of him.

Korra moves to send more fire to try and catch him unprotected on the right, but he sidesteps to the left and raises a new wall behind the old, tilting it to his right.

Korra gives the move one more try. Nimol blocks it again but then jumps from behind the wall when a second fire blast catches him from the unprotected side. Korra notes to thank Mako later for the assist. The young man was now on the wrong side of his rock walls. Korra's wrists move quickly to conjure a gust of wind to pin him against the slab of earth. She then curls and punches the other rock pieces to pin Nimol between them. As the second piece is about to make contact, she lessens the force to not cause any actual harm. Nimol's body goes limp as he lays between the boulders, looking like a sandwich. 

Korra stops to survey how the rest of her group is fairing. Most of the Dai Li were down, with Opal and Bingwen knocking over a couple of stragglers. "Kinda an easy for Dai Li."

"Kinda young too," Mako says, walking up beside Korra. He looks down at Nimol. He was conscious but not moving. He looked to be about their age, maybe even a few years less.

Palace guards suddenly start pouring into the courtyard. Wu waves at them. "Over here!"

Nimol lifts his head as much as he can. "Obsidian, sand storm!" 

One of the defeated Dai Li pulls himself from the ground. In pain, he stays hunkered over. His arms begin to move, not unlike an Airbender would when making a tornado. All the dust and sand generated from the Earthbending started to move into the air, circling around him. 

Korra and her group take a few steps back and shield their faces as the air around them becomes flooded with sand. Still trapped in the rocks, Yasmine can only close her eyes and bow her head. The growing sand storm stops the palace guards in their tracks to protect their own faces.

All visibility around the seven Dai Li is lost. The sand whirls and howls for a few more moments and then stops. It rains to the ground like a sudden shower. A few clouds of dust waft by as it all settles. The Dai Li are gone. 

"That guy must have been from the Si Wong Desert with that kinda move," Korra says, followed by a big breath of the clear air.

The palace guards jog over to the group. 

"Is everyone alright?" One asks.

"I could use a hand!" Yasmine calls out. 

Attention turns to the young woman still encased in rock. A guard stamps the ground, and she is freed.

Yasmine stumbles a bit as she rights herself. Mako rushes to her side. "Are you okay?"

"I'll live," Yasmine sighs, brushing the dust off her skirt. "Just another adventure with Mako and the Avatar."

Bingwen saunters over. "You're welcome to come to join us for dinner. Let us make it up to you."

Yasmine is ready to turn him down, when she looks up at Bingwen's face. Her cheeks pinken as she takes in his handsome features. She is especially drawn to his strong chin and perfect five o'clock shadow. "Dinner would be a good start," She squeaks. 

Bingwen offers his arm. "I'm Bingwen, by the way."

Yasmine takes his arm. "Yasmine. You were quite impressive at the trial, by the way. How'd that Kuvira look-alike get so lucky?"

"I can't turn down a request from the Avatar," 

Yasmine steals a look back at Korra and the others. "Few can."

***

Ikki sat on the edge of Asami's bed in her apartment bedroom. She kicked her skinny little legs back and forth, too short to touch the floor. She watched Asami go in and out of her expansive walk-in closet, bringing out clothing, examining it, then placing some next to Ikki on the bed and returning others. 

"Are you sure you don't want me to come with you?"

Asami pokes her head out of the closet. "You've got a mover to be in. Besides, this is going to mainly be a business trip. I do have some contacts in the Jiushu region who just so happen to be hiring and will appreciate an in-person visit accompanied by a gift basket of Republic City delicatessen treats."

Ikki looks down at her dangling feet. "I just want to make sure you'll be safe."

"If Kuvira does want to pick a fight, I think the playing field has been evened a bit, wouldn't you say?"

"I guess."

"Korra said that she was appreciative of the help in the end," Asami collects the clothes she pilled beside Ikki and begins to fold them. "And I am going to provide more help. A decent existence she can live out her days in."

"And you know where to find her?"

"A general idea. The hope is she hasn't wandered too far." Asami points to a pair of shoes in the corner of the room. "Can you grab those? I want to see if they'll fit in this suitcase."

Ikki obediently slides off the bed and brings over the elegant suede Chelsea boots. She turns them over in her hands, admiring the look.

"Like them?" Asami asks.

Ikki pinkens. "Yeah."

"We can get you a pair for when the mover premieres."

Ikki looks up. Her pupils were full of hope and excitement. "Really?"

Asami takes the boots. She turns them over a few times, finding the best way to tuck them into her very full suitcase. "We'll get you a whole outfit."

"Can we match?"

Asami smiles. "I would love that."

 

To be continued...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 49: The Return

Chapter Text

The airship's motors hum, placing Asami into a light trance as she stares out a window. The islands of the Fire Nation were just becoming visible from beneath the clouds. Asami had Kuvira's whole new life plotted out but still had yet to figure out a guise she could use to help her locate the former dictator. 

Earlier that morning, while she ran a comb through her hair in the petite bathroom of her ship quarters, she noticed a few shared physical similarities between herself and Kuvira. Could they be enough to convince strangers they were long-lost cousins? Perhaps she was never close to her aunt and uncle, who had since passed but wanted to find their children and reconnect. 

Asami didn't hate it, but she didn't know the name Kuvira was currently going by. Bolin advised that Kuvira had disclosed nothing about her plans for her new existence. Asami then wondered, who would believe that she didn't even know her cousin's surname? How would she not know Kuvira's name but still be looking for her? 

Asami rubs her face with her palms. A runaway, perhaps? Kuvira was probably too old to be considered that. Adults can run away, too, typically from crimes. Asami wanted to keep as much distance as she could between Kuvira and crime. 

Asami drops her hands from her face and folds them in her lap. She focuses on the propeller's steady thrum, letting in a deep breath and slowly releasing it. Asami had vowed before leaving to not let herself get worked up by Kuvira. She just needed to have faith she would be able to track the woman down.

***

The humid island air hit Asami as she stepped off the plane. They landed in Mizusaki. Bolin mentioned this was the exact province they chose to drop her off because it was the farthest point on the twin islands of Jiushu from the mainland. If Kuvira decided to migrate, she'd have some ways to go before being able to get to the mainland. It worked in Asami's favor because they had a large airfield. There would be no issues landing and docking her ship. If she needed to explore other regions of Jiushu, she could rent a vehicle. 

Asami's hired airmen had accommodations near the airfield, while she made her own in town to be near the action. Her pedicab took about fifteen minutes to reach her bed and breakfast. A stooped-over old man met her at the door and went for her bags.

"It's okay, I've got them," Asami says, lifting them a bit higher to demonstrate her abilities.

The older man continued to silently gesture to her bags, so she relinquished one. Asami tried not to noticeably wince when he took the bag on his shoulder and slumped over a bit more than he already was. The old man points to the door. He waits for her to go in first, and he hobbles in behind her.

"Welcome," an older woman behind a small desk chirps, bowing. The many wooden bead necklaces she wore clank as she bent.

"Asami Sato."

The woman smiles. "Yes, we have you for six nights?"

"Correct."

"That'll be one hundred and fifty, Ban."

Asami reaches into her pocket and removes an envelope containing the payment for the room. 

The older woman takes the glasses, dangling on a chain around her neck, and brings them to her nose. She unseals the envelope and dumps the coins on the counter. She takes her time counting them out. She finishes and smiles. "We have you in room eight."

Asami reaches out to accept the keys. "Great."

"That's a lucky number in these parts," the older woman beams. "Dear, will you show the young lady to her room?"

***

The old man silently brought Asami to her room, scurried inside to place the luggage on the bed, and quickly left. She tried to tip him but shook his head and shuffled back down the hall. 

The room was small and clearly old, but Asami wanted to stay in an inconspicuous place. She sits down next to her luggage and leans back onto the mattress, flopping her arms over her head. She wishes Korra was with her. A tiny bed and breakfast in a remote part of the Fire Nation would be more fun with her girlfriend. 

Asami closes her eyes and allows herself to fantasize about what that version of this trip would be like. Asami imagines herself in a loose red sundress. Korra in tacky, blue floral pattern button-down and her very fitted boy short swim bottoms. The older woman at the front asks if they really only want one room. Korra, blunt and wonderfully oblivious, would tell her they were on a romantic getaway. At first, the old couple would be a little scandalized, but Korra would win them over with her charm. She wouldn't reveal she's the Avatar, not until the very end of their stay. Because Korra wouldn't want the trip to be about Avatar stuff. 

They'd spend the late mornings walking through the small town center. Korra would taste food from the local vendors while she shopped at small boutiques. Afternoons on the beach, catching the sun, playing in the surf. Nights some fancy little restaurants with outdoor seating and music. Then when they'd return to their room at night... Asami smiles to herself, a flutter in her stomach. She didn't need to spell it out to herself. 

Late afternoon turned to dusk as Asami let her mind wander and eventually drifted off to sleep. 

Asami got an early start to her day, considering she passed out so early the evening before. She let herself off the hook. What could she really have accomplished that night anyway? After eating the offered breakfast at the inn's small dining nook, she headed into town dressed like a mid-class tourist to do a little wardrobe shopping. Asami couldn't decide if sticking out or blending in would be the better approach, so she figured she'd try both as she moved about the province. 

Asami found lunch at a small outdoor cafe and poured over her map while slurping up a spicy bowl of noodles. She was based closest to the ocean, so once she covered the villages along the eastern shoreline, she would divide the rest of the island into four sections and scour them portion by portion.

***

In the back lot of City Streets Productions office, Ikki giddily watched Bolin and Jon Yuen rehearse their 'big kiss' scene. They hadn't attempted kissing yet. They were still working on the dialogue. Ikki could tell they were both very nervous, but she was fascinated by the whole situation. Two men were going to be kissing and falling in love on the big screen for everyone to see. It was all pretend, but still. 

Shey walks over to Bolin and Jon Yeun to give them notes. She speaks to Bolin, then motions towards Jon Yuen and grasps his shirt. 

Ikki imagined herself being directed by Shey in her own kissing scene. Her co-star was bashful but excited to get it right. It wouldn't make sense for her role in this mover, but maybe she'd get a part like that someday. 

A shadow cast down on Ikki. She looks up, confused since it was sunny all morning. Standing above her is Xaiver. His large form was big enough to block out her sun. 

He looks down at her and smiles. "I wanted to see rehearsals."

"Who are you?" Ikki asks.

"Jon Yeun's boyfriend."

Ikki's eyes light up. "Really?" She jumps from her seat and stands directly beneath him. "That's so cool!"

Xavier blushes. "You really think so?"

"Mmmhm!" Ikki pauses for a moment, looks over to Bolin and Jon Yuen, and then back to Xaiver. "Are you jealous that he will be kissing someone else?"

Xavier put one of his giant paws to his chin. "Not really. They are just acting. Besides, I do believe Bolin has a fiance."

"He does. He's super nervous about kissing another boy." 

"Aww, he's got nothing to be afraid of. Jon Yuen looks tough, but he's a big softy deep down."

Jon Yuen senses he was being talked about and glances their way. 

Xavier waves. "Don't rush because of me. I got the rest of the afternoon off." He then looks down at the curious Ikki. "I'm taking him to lunch. You want to come?"

"Yes!" Ikki squeaks.

"Great, maybe Bolin will want to come with us too."

***

Bolin did join them, not that he didn't trust Jon Yuen and Xaiver, but if anyone heard he let little Ikki go off with two adult men alone, he might have gotten into big trouble.

He looks over to the young girl seated next to him in the restaurant booth. She was excitedly chatting with the couple across from her. Bolin had to admit that he was impressed by how well Ikki got along with strangers, especially adults. Bolin was shy when he was her age. It was Mako who did most of the talking to get them into better situations growing up.

Asami did disclose that Ikki has been having a difficult time getting along with her siblings. Being the middle child likely also made things difficult for the girl to get as much attention as she perhaps wanted. Now more than ever with Rohan injured at home and needing extra care.

Jon Yuen gets up from the table and goes to find the bathroom. 

"So, Bolin," Xavier says, startling Bolin from his thoughts."You're having trouble conjuring up chemistry with my boyfriend?"

Bolin's face goes elephant koi red. "What?"

"How is that even possible? Is he not the sexiest man you've ever laid eyes on?"

"Well, uh," Bolin sputters, squirming in his seat.

Ikki's face explodes with laughter. "He's teasing you!"

"Jon Yuen thinks it's his fault," Xaiver confesses. "He's worried I'm going to get jealous if he's too convincing."

Bolin looks at his lap. "Really, you have nothing to worry about."

Xavier reaches across the table and pats Bolin’s shoulder. Bolin, a good-sized man himself, feels small under his touch. "I know. I'm going to encourage him to relax."

Xavier removes his hand and settles back in his seat. "And if I'm honest, I kind of find it-"

"OKAY!" Bolin interrupts. "We have little ears here, and I don't need to know any of that either."

Ikki looks between the two men. "Don't need to know what?"

Jon Yuen reappears at the table and sits back down. He senses a need for subject change and looks to the youngest among them. "Ikki, you did an impressive job today. I am surprised this is your first time acting."

"Thank you. It really is." Ikki blushes and sinks down into her seat. "You're really good too, and you've never acted before either."

"I think I am very fortunate that my role is very similar to my own personality. Also, I did perform in a play in school."

Xavier swats Jon Yuen's shoulder. "You've never told me this!"

"It wasn't relevant."

"When I was convincing you to take the role, it was," Xaiver huffs. "He said he couldn't do it because he had never acted before."

"So you really are the mysterious type, just like your character," Bolin mutters aloud, unconsciously. His three tablemates all turn and stare. Bolin slumps in his seat and blushes.

***

The after-party at the Sighing Lotus was getting out of control when Korra decided to leave. Bingwen and Wu were seemingly competing to see who could be more generous with drink purchases. Korra knew Wu was likely celebrating his freedom, but the excess felt a little wrong as she thought about what Lian went through that day to achieve her own. 

When she announced her planned departure from the party, Mako offered to escort her back. At first, she worried it was an awkward drunken attempt at gallantry, but when she studied his face, she could tell he was desperate for an excuse to leave. Yasmine had been glued to Bingwen's side the whole evening, and Mako had barely said a word unless prompted.

"Thanks for letting me tag along," Mako says in a whisper.

"Some of us will need to have our heads straight in the morning."

The pair come to an intersection with three different streets to decide between. Mako points to the one closest to their left. As they turn, the silhouette of the palace comes into full view. Hundreds of little windows glow enough light for them to see the way back. There was only the occasional streetlight, even in the Upper Ring. 

"So I gather you are not getting back together with Yasmine?" Korra says after a few more moments of silence between them.

Mako nods. "She wanted to make that very clear."

"You okay?"

"Yeah," Mako shrugs. "I actually knew she was here before that scuffle in the courtyard."

"When? Why didn't you say anything?"

"It was only since yesterday afternoon," Mako starts to rub the back of his neck. "We kinda ran into each other and..."

Korra cocks her head to the side. "Yeah, and?"

"I can't believe I'm going to admit this to you, but we, you know..."

"Whoa!"

Mako's left hand joins his right at the back of his head, and then he uses them to pull his head forward. "I'm sorry, that's so embarrassing!"

"Mako, it's okay!" Korra starts to chuckle, then it erupts into a belly laugh. 

"But you're laughing at me!"

"Cos, it's funny!"

Mako caught the mood, and he began to titter. "My poor life choices are amusing to you?"

Korra nods a few times, and when she catches her breath, she says, "Aren't mine too?"

"What did you do?"

"I told the whole world who I was sleeping with," Korra shouts, waving her arms.

Mako had spent a lot of time thinking about how potentially embarrassing the magazine would be for himself. He hadn't really considered if Korra and Asami might also have feelings of discomfort with their decision to be public. "Yeah, you did. I guess that is pretty embarrassing."

"Speaking of public displays, so Tu and Wu?"

Mako slaps his hand on his forehead. "I had nooooo idea!"

"What about Wu liking guys?" Korra asks.

"I have more questions about Tu liking guys."

Korra shrugs. "Prolly, not as many as he did."

Mako stops walking. "So, is like everyone, you know? I'm starting to feel like the odd one out."

"What about Bolin and Opal? Tenzin, Pema, Suyin, Zhou Rhen, Lin, Jinora, and-"

Mako holds up his hands. "You know what I mean."

"I do." Korra smiles. "Sorry it's kinda weird for you, but it makes me feel a little less lonely, knowing I'm not some anomaly. That other people feel the way I do." Korra turns to the right to look out at the lower two rings. 

"Were you scared to tell Asami how you felt?"

"Terrified," Korra replies, turning back to face Mako. "Ran my mouth off, like I always do."

"She really liked you for a long time. She had this intensity about her when it came to you. Looking back, I think I was willfully blind to it, maybe? Didn't take it as seriously because you were both girls. I'm sorry I did that."

Korra shrugs. "Nothing to apologize for. Wouldn't have known that without you saying it to me."

"I want to be honest with you because we're friends."

Korra grins."I appreciate that."

Mako feels a genuine smile tug at his lips. "Should we get moving?"

"Lets. Otherwise, those drunkards will beat us back," Korra says, motioning to the palace. She starts walking, and Mako quickly follows. He notes a feeling he hadn't felt in a long time with Korra, not since they were looking for Airbenders. It was the feeling of being utterly relaxed around Korra. No pangs of heartbreak or regrets. Just comfortable. He was happy to have it back.

****

The following morning when Korra awoke and stumbled into the common area of their suite, Suyin was waiting for her. 

"Morning, Suyin," Korra says with a groggy wave.

"Get dressed. I'd like to have breakfast, just the two of us this morning."

Korra nods and lumbers back into her room to get changed. 

The meal hall was quiet. Only a few tables had representatives munching on their breakfast. Korra and Suyin silently selected their own meals, and then Suyin guided her to a table in a far corner.

"Did you kids have fun last night?" Suyin asks, breaking the silence.

"Not a bad time. I left a little early because I couldn't keep up."

"Excellent, so you're not hungover."

Korra shrugs."Not especially.'

There is a communal teapot at the center of the table. Suyin picks it up, pours Korra a cup, and then one for herself. "I have a favor to ask you."

Korra takes the cup and warms her hands. "Okay."

"I want you to escort Lian back to New Gaipan. I worked with Satchi and a few others to draft her exoneration certificate. Without a formal head of state, we will ask Wu to sign it along with the stamping of the royal seal. A duplicate will be kept here at the palace as a safety precaution."

"I can do that. Should I come back here after, or is it okay if I go back to Republic City?"

Suyin leans back in her seat for a moment to consider. "I'd love to have you around for the elections, but I think enough people know we are on very friendly terms by now. Some, namely Chi Gao, might see you as a swaying factor and cry foul if he loses."

"How are you feeling about your campaign?"

"Very good. The turn of events I think will play well in my favor."

Korra lets out a breath. "In all our favors."

Suyin shifts in her seat to glance around the room. No one seems to be paying any mind to their table, but just in case, she moves her body into a more relaxed and casual position. "I've been thinking about  her . Where she is. How she is doing."

"I've asked Asami to pay her a visit."

Suyin reaches for her teacup. Before bringing it to her lips, she says, "Good."

A groggy Mako, Bolin, Zhou Rhen, and Opal make their appearance at the dining hall doors. Korra raises a hand and waves them over.

***

Korra didn't have much to pack, just one duffle. She took little care shoving her dress clothes in the bag, knowing they wouldn't be needed anymore on this trip. She had little patience for folding clothes, especially those requiring extra steps. She just wouldn't let Asami see her unpack to avoid the scolding she could already hear in her mind.

Korra slings the bag over her shoulder and steps out of her room into the sitting area. In the doorway to the Avatar Suite stands Bingwen. Korra gives him a small wave and then slings her duffle into the growing luggage pile near his feet.

"I wanted to come and say goodbye."

Korra holds out a hand and offers it to Bingwen. He gently accepts it and gives Korra's hands a few shakes and a squeeze.

"Thank you for everything you've done for us."

Bingwen smiles. "It's been a pleasure aiding the Avatar."

Korra rolls her eyes. "Please don't be like that now. We're friends."

Bingwen gives Korra's hand one more squeeze and releases it." So does that mean I can crash at your place when I visit Republic City...? How good of friends are we talking about?"

"I'm sure Tenzin can find a spot for you at the Air Temple."

"I have a cousin there I can crash with," Bingwen says, flitting his hand. "It's just not a penthouse downtown like I imagine Miss Sato has."

Korra wrinkles her nose. 

Bingwen winks and snaps at her. "No shame in her being able to afford that."

Suyin appears in the doorway behind Bingwen. "Are you kids about ready to go? I got Lian boarded already."

"Just saying see ya later to Bingwen," Korra replies.

Suyin places a hand on his shoulder. "He's accepted my offer to join my campaign."

Korra's eyebrows playfully dart up. "Look at you."

"Suyin can be very persuasive," Bingwen says a little sheepishly.

"So can you," Korra quips back. 

Zhou Rhen joins the trio, followed by Mako, a duffle in each hand. Suyin scowls as she waits for her daughter to emerge, but she fails to. 

"Opal!" Suyin shouts so loudly that Bingwen and Korra, who are closest in her range, flinch. 

***

Korra, Opal, Mako, and Zhou Rhen march towards the airship, across the rooftop landing strip, followed by a few palace attendants carrying their bags. 

Three guards and a young man in an Airbender wingsuit stand by the airship stairs. As they get closer, they recognize him to be Kai. 

"Kai?" Opal asks, trotting closer. "What are you doing here? And where's Lefty and the other boys?"

"Is he with you?" One of the guards asks, revealing they are holding onto Kai by his arms. 

"Yes," Opal replies quickly.

Korra catches up to Opal and repeats the sentiment. Only at Korra's request do they let Kai go. Kai gives the guards a snide look before stepping closer to Opal and Korra.

"I need to talk with you."

Korra is about to protest, but Opal shakes her head. "Let's at least do this on the airship."

Korra nods and motions for Kai to be the first up the stairs. The group finds Lain sitting alone in the passenger's quarters. She's in an outfit they've never seen before, but it looks brand new. Much of the exposed parts of her skin have small bandages on them, covering up the cuts from Chi Gao's rock shrapnel. 

The group awkwardly acknowledges her as they take their seats. It dawns on Korra how little they all know this woman. And still, she found herself for a brief second thinking it was Kuvria sitting before her. 

"I want to know the truth," Kai demands.

Opal steps over to the younger man. "Let's go talk in another room."

Korra gets up, and Mako follows. The four step into a small storage room. Kai leans against the wall at the end of two rows of shelving. Mako closes the door with a soft click. 

"You've all been lying."

"Kai, we talked about this," Opal warns,

"I know, and I've been thinking about that talk," Kai starts, crossing his arms across his chest. "I can't believe what you've all must have been through to rescue that monster. And all that trouble and then this happens to this innocent woman?"

"This could have happened regardless..." Korra answers.

Kai lets out a huff. "Could it? If the government had watched Kuvira fry, you think they'd humor a Kuvira sighting?"

Mako takes a step closer to Kai and notices, to his surprise, is catching up to him in height. "For all we know, that could have left Lian to fend for herself in a mob of angry villagers."

"Still."

"Kai, I understand you're upset, but we did this because Kuvira's trial was rigged to kill her. She was never going to get a fair trial," Korra says in a softer tone than the rest of her peers. She looks at Kai directly so he can see she is sincere. Kai looks away and to the floor.

"So she gets no trial, just set loose."

Korra shakes her head, even though Kai isn't looking at her. "Kuvira has paid for her crimes, maybe not as harshly as we want, but trust me, she has paid."

"How?" Kai asks, looking back up.

"Korra took her bending away," Mako says swiftly.

"Mako!" Opal barks.

Mako's shoulders shrug up defensively. "Why is that a secret?"

Kai turns to Korra. "You can do that?" 

"As the Avatar, yes," Korra replies solemnly. She still can't discuss the topic without chills running down her spine and the flash of a gloved thumb oppressively being lowered between her eyes. "But it's never done lightly. I've had my bending taken away. I know what it feels like."

"Kai, we didn't tell you because we didn't want you to be burdened with this information. We told as few people as necessary," Opal adds.

"Looking around, I feel like I'm kind of the only one who didn't know," Kai gestures to the older three. "Did Ikki and Meelo know too?"

"Ikki, only because she was there when Raiko let it slip the whole trial was rigged," Korra replies quickly.

Opal walks to Kai and puts a hand on his shoulder. He looks away. "That time with Kuvira wasn't about abilities or trust. Why don't you help us with this mission and get Lian back home safely?"

"I was hoping to do that. I already sent the boys ahead."

"Great."

***

The group touched down in New Gaipan late that evening. Exhausted, they slept on the airship, which had to dock overnight to give the aircrew a break as well. In the morning, they escorted Lian to her home in Gogai by the local palace forces stationed in the capital. It took two vehicles to shuttle the whole group. Korra made Mako, Opal, Zhou Rhen, and Kai pile into one vehicle so she could ride with Lian alone.

For the first half-hour of the ride, the two women sat side by side on the back bench seat in silence. Korra felt guilty for getting to know this woman so little after all she had been through. During their long ride together yesterday, Lian hardly joined any conversations. Korra wondered if perhaps it was hard for her to be the group's outsider on top of everything else.

Korra clears her throat before mustering the courage to break the silence. "You only recently moved to New Gaipan. Where did you come from originally?"

"A village in Chu,” Lian starts, her eyes fixed outside her window. “On the riverside. I had debated going farther up the river instead of just crossing it. I wonder how my life would have turned out had I made that decision instead."

Korra ponders that sentiment for a moment but then stops herself. When she was recovering from her fight with Zaheer, she'd lay in bed several hours of the day, looking up at the southern palace ceiling playing the events that put her in that bed over and over. But you can’t go down that road. What happened has happened. All you can do is learn from it. Korra considers sharing the sentiment but stops, knowing deep down that it's a conclusion you need to come to on your own. Someone telling you how to think and feel rarely works.

Lian turns away from the window to look at Korra. She wasn’t expecting the Avatar to go quiet again. 

Korra flinches, forgetting herself for a moment and thinking she is suddenly sitting with Kuvira. It seems to happen every time she gets a fresh look at Lian. She was like a glass of wine. The first sip hit you with Kuvira but had a Lian finish. "You really do look like her, has no one mentioned this to you before?"

Lian shakes her head. "No, but I've lived there my whole life. They all knew me a lot longer than Kuvira. We saw her maybe once, briefly, while she was on her tour of conquest."

"That makes sense."

"When I left my husband, I had never been so scared in my life. I packed up everything I could fit on my back and nothing else. I only left my house in the dark of night for three weeks out of fear he would track me down. Finally, I allowed myself to go out one morning. That very night, I heard the pounding on the door. I figured my husband must have found me. I never in a million years expected that angry mob."

"I'm so sorry for everything that's happened to you. I wish we could have done more to help you, but the situation was very delicate."

"I don't understand why anyone wished she was alive more than believing me."

Korra looks down at her lap. Korra felt the same way until Seok of the six shed some light on their simmering resentment. "Some people wanted to use the opportunity to be tough on Kuvira for political gains. Since she died in the crash, no one got that satisfaction until you presented an opportunity."

"You don't think that Chi Gao fellow will get elected, will you?"

"I think beating up a defenseless woman will only spell trouble for his campaign," Korra gestures to the bandages on Lian's arms. “Did they offer you a healer?" 

Lian looks at her arms, remembering how many places she was sliced up. She shook her head in reply.

Korra hops over to the bench seat across from them, putting her directly behind the driver and front-seat passenger. "You got any canteens of water up here?"

The palace guard, not driving, turns to look at Korra. "Yeah," he murmurs, passing it through the small window to the back seat. Korra accepts the canteen and slides back over to sit beside Lian. 

"Let's take care of all these cuts and scrapes," Korra says, unscrewing the canteen cap. "If you'll remove the bandages, I can heal you."

Lian starts peeling off the balls of cotton and tape. Some come off with dried bloodstains, so she is careful to collect all of them in her lap. Lian then brings her hands to her face and removes the bandage covering a good size lesion on her cheekbone. The dressing had hidden most of the bruising, so now Korra could see the blue and purple splotches painted just under her eye. 

"Fricken Chi Gao," Korra mutters as she coaxes the water out of the container. Lian's eyes go wide as she watches the simple gestures of Korra's hand charm the water like a snake. She was from a remote part of the Earth Kingdom. She could count the number of times she had seen waterbending on one hand.  

“Hold your right arm out,” Korra asks gently. Lian obeys. The water swirls around Lian’s arm, under Korra’s steady hand. The wounds tingle and dissipate. Lian watches as Korra moves onto her left. Lian’s eyes watch her left begin treatment and then go back to her right to marvel at how the cuts were gone entirely.

“I’m going to do the cheek now.”

Lian closes her eyes and lets the cool water splash on her cheek. This time she could feel more of the healing processes. Maybe because she only had one wound to focus on, or perhaps it was the location, but she could feel the tug of her two pieces of skin knit back together. 

“The bruise will have to run its course,” Korra says, bending the water from Lian’s cheek and holding it in the air for a moment in an undulating orb. ”I can’t undo those once they’ve had a chance to bloom.”

“It’s okay. Maybe it will make me look tuff.”

Korra chuckles and waves the water back into the canteen. “I had a scar over my eyebrow for a moment, and my girlfriend said it made me look villainous.”

“Maybe I should have left my cheek to scar,” Lian looks in the window to catch a bit of her reflection. It’s not the best mirror, but she can see that the slice in her cheek is gone. "I guess a silver lining is, my husband coming around for me won't be the scariest thing that happened to me. Maybe I can look into some martial arts training and learn how to defend myself a little better."

"What if I made sure your husband would never bother you again?"

Lian whips her head from the window to face Korra. "You're not going to kill him, are you?"

"No!" Korra waves her hands frantically. "I'd just let him know you have the full force of the Avatar on your side."

Lian looks down at her lap, considering Korra’s offer. 

“Let me make this up to you,” Korra urges.

***

The gang’s escorts brought them to the governor of Gogai’s office first to present Lian and her paperwork. A journalist was there with their photographer to document the occasion, which at first they thought was a great idea. This way, all of the Earth Kingdom would be able to identify Lian as not Kuvira until Lian reminded them she was still trying to hide from her husband. In the end, they settled on a photo of the Korra presenting the document to the governor. 

Lian said goodbye outside the governor’s office, wanting to walk back to her home on her own to prove she had nothing to hide from her neighbors. They watched Lian disappear into the crowded streets, and then the palace escorts drove away in the opposite direction. 

“Do we really have to go all the way to Chu now too?” Opal moans as she swats away some of the dust kicked up by the escort vehicles. “ I want to go home! I miss Bolin and have a wedding I need to start planning, and I’m sure Mako misses his boring life."

Mako scowls as Opal but makes no comment. 

“What about me?” Zhou Rhen asks indignantly.

Opal snorts and crosses her arms. “This might be your one Avatar adventure, so you soak up every moment of it.”

Zhou Rhen’s lips pout out like a little child. “Is that true, Avatar Korra?”

“What? I dunno, probably not,” Korra stammers. She wrinkles her nose and stamps her foot at Opal. “We’re getting off-topic. I promise Lian her husband won’t ever give her a hard time again, and I need to make good on that.”

“Fine,” Opal says, tossing her hands in the air. “Let’s go kill this woman’s ex-husband.”

“We’re not killing him!”

Opal turns to Kai, “You coming with or you going to meet back up with your boys in Pen?”

“I’ll head to Pen,” Kai replies. 

“Have an idea when we should expect you back at the temple?” Opal asks as she walks over to give the boy a hug. “Any message you want me to relay to Tenzin?”

“We still have so many places to check up on, I couldn’t even say when. Just tell Tenzin we’ll be in touch soon,” Kai says, releasing Opal.

As the two part, a new vehicle arrives, similar to the palace military ones they drove up in. This one was an ivory white, its clue as to which organization it belonged to. Kai watches Korra, Opal, Mako, and Zhou Rhen pile inside. He waits till they are out of sight before he takes to the skies. 

***

It’s late afternoon when Kai arrives just outside Pen. He lands to walk his way into town. It felt strange being back where the mess had all started. He was even going to be staying at the same hostel if his boys were able to secure it again. 

Kai was starting to wish he had just had the boys go to the next town on their list instead of coming back here. But when they made their plans, Kai had no idea what village in New Gaipan Lian was from and figured a place they all had been to before would be easier to find each other at.  

Kai accepts he made the right call but makes a mental note to encourage them to leave first thing in the morning, but this who situation behind them. Even with the ‘happy ending, the whole thing had left a bad taste in his mouth. Kai wasn’t sure who he was more disappointed by lying to him, his girlfriend, his partner, or his Avatar. 

They were all liars. Did Kuvira make liars out of them, or was this just who they were? Opal was raised by Suyin, who Kai had always gotten a certain vibe from, so he could maybe understand her deception. During the long ride to Gogai, Zhou Rhen had attempted to explain Korra’s position on the situation. That it's challenging for the Avatar to be black and white. Korra has so many factors she must consider when making a decision. Kai guesses he could accept that. Which leaves Jinora. Why hadn’t she confided in him? She could have at least once it was all over. They used to tell each other everything. When did that change?

The streets were active, even for how late in the business day it was. Up ahead, a large cluster of people gathered by one booth. Kai pushes past a few people to see what this vendor was getting everyone so excited about, and he sees a familiar-looking young woman. 

She wasn’t selling anything but instead taking dry goods or coin donations. She had two other young women working behind the stand with her, speaking with donors and accepting the items. The familiar-looking girl thanks a man, and as he walks away the girl's line of vision clears, and she sees Kai. Her eyebrows shoot up, and she gives an excited wave.

“Kai!”

Kai’s cheek pinkens. She remembers his name. How come she can’t remember hers. 

“It’s me, Yenay. I’m doing it!” Yenay calls out as Kai steps up to her at the stand. It all comes back to him, the girl from the festival. The one who wanted to make a difference in other people's lives. 

“You really are,” Kai starts, looking around at the pile of goods growing behind them. “That wasn’t even that long ago when we last saw each other.”

Yenay smiles shyly. “You really inspired me. I spoke with my sisters the next day, and we started this donation booth. I’m happy to see you for another reason, we’ve been using Satomobiles to bring these to nearby villages, but we could really use some air transport to the more isolated ones.”

“I’ve got my air bison, Lefty, here. We can certainly help make deliveries.”

Yenay claps her hands together and squeals. Her two sisters overhear and join Yenay’s side of the booth.

“That’s amazing!”

“Thank you so much!” The sisters' chirp.

Kai blushes and rubs the back of his head. “Let me just go find the rest of my crew, and I’ll bring them back here.”

***

“So you know where to find this guy, right?” Mako asks as the gang steps out of the White Lotus vehicle. 

“Lian gave me all the details, got her old home address,” Korra says, waving a small scrap of paper. “Looking for an Obar.”

Mako, Korra, and Opal turn to the vehicle waiting for Zhou Rhen to join them. He’s still sitting inside, finishing an animated conversation with the driver. 

“Well, it’s nice Zhou Rhen found a familiar face,” Opal mutters.

Korra shrugs. “Small world, after all.”

“Hopefully, that means he can sweet talk us into getting a ride to the nearest airport once we finish roughing up this guy.”

“That’s the plan,” Korra replies, looking at the town. “I sometimes forget I have all the White Lotuses resources at my disposal when I travel.”

“Wonder who has more money at their disposal,” Mako starts with a girn. “Asami or the White Lotus.”

“The White Lotus,” Zhou Rhen confirms, stepping over to the trio. “The organization was built by old money. Miss Sato is quite wealthy, but not like dynasties are.”

Opal holds up her hands. “That answers that. Let’s get this over with.”

The four reach the outside of Lian’s husband’s home after a short walk. It’s in the main village, part of a row of dwellings all sharing the same exterior wall. After confirming the number out front, Korra takes the initiative to knock on the door, but there is no answer. Korra tries again, pounding harder. The entrance to the left opens. 

A woman in her late thirties steps out, a scarf covering her hair and a baby at her hip. “Will you keep it down? Clearly, he’s not home.”

“Any idea where we can find Obar?” Mako asks.

The woman snorts. “Where you can always find him, the pub.”

Mako takes a few small steps toward her. “Which one?”

“That’s what it’s called,” she barks, slamming her door.

The group finds someone milling about in the street to ask for the directions to ‘The Pub’, and sure enough, that is the establishment's name. They look up at the tired sign before entering. Inside was relatively narrow since the bar was between two other businesses. It opened up a bit more as they reached the back where the bar was located. 

Only a few people were inside, likely another hour before the after-work crowd would start to show up. Stooped over on a stool at the far end of the bar sat an oafish-looking man. His nose was punished and crooked, likely from one too many bar fights. His dark brown hair was pulled back into a messy ponytail, and the remaining uneven strands were attempted to be contained by a dirty green bandanna. 

“That guy, right?” Mako asks, pointing to the man at the bar.

Korra nods. “Matches her description.”

“Hey, Obar,” Mako calls out.

Both the patron and tender at the bar look over. The bartender held up his hands which held a class and rag.  

“The man just got left by his wife. He doesn’t need any more trouble in his life right now.”

Obar eyes Korra and company. “Those aren’t the debtors I was telling you about.”

The bartender leans closer to him. “Maybe some hired goons.”

Obar grabs his drink, brings the mug to his lips, and swings his head back. Adam's apple bobs as he chugs the remaining beer. He slams the glass mug on the counter once he finishes. “Who’s asking?”

Korra steps forward, separating herself from her group. “The Avatar.”

Obar looks at her dumbfounded for a second, then starts to laugh. “Whose razzing me?” He asks the room, slipping off his stool. Obar stretches out his arms and gleefully looks around. “Whoever it is, I’ll buy you a drink cos this is hilarious.” 

He ambles towards Korra, dramatically craning his neck to get a look at her. “What’s the ‘Avatar’ doing in a shit hole of a town like this looking for little old me?”

“I’m here to send a message from your wife,” Korra barks.

The amiable grin on Obar’s face disappears and is replaced by a wild snarl. “Where is she?”

“It doesn’t matter because you’re never going to go looking for her. Ever,” Korra says, taking a few big steps towards the man Obar starts charging, his right fist up, ready to take a swing at her. Korra closes her eyes for a moment, and when they reopen, they’re glowing blue. 

The presence of the Avatar state doesn’t give Obar pause. He throws his fist towards Korra’s face. Korra easily catches it with her left and holds his closed fist in her hand.

Obar struggles to free himself. Unable to do so, he tries punching with his other hand. Korra snatches that one up too. From behind, it looks like Korra and Obar are holding each other's hands, like a couple of excited school girls. 

“Let go!” Obar cries, frustrated.

Korra stamps her foot, and the wooden floor bursts beneath them as the earth rises around Obar. Once he is encased in rock, Korra lets go of his hands.

“Okay,” Korea replies, the blue light in her eyes fading.

Obar rattles his body against the rock encasement, but it won’t budge. 

Zhou Rhen shuffles up to Korra and passes her a rolled-up piece of paper and pen. Korra thanks him as she accepts it, and then she unfurls it in front of Obar’s face. “This is a divorce decree. You will sign it and then come down with us to the courthouse and file it. And then after that, we’re going to your house, and you're going to point out everything Lian had to leave behind, and I’m going to have it delivered to her new home.”

Obar grimaces at the paperwork and looks around the room to the few other patrons and tender in the bar. No one is coming to his air. They all give him a little nod as if to say, take the deal.

Korra wiggles the paper. “You do this, and there are really no consequences for your terrible treatment of your wife, from my perspective.” Korra’s eyes glow blue, and a breeze blows her hair around. The air picks up, and starts flapping the paper in her hand. Soon anything light and loose in the pub starts moving as the air swirls around inside. “But if you ever lay a single finger on Lian again or go anywhere near here, even by accident, I will bring ten thousand years of Avatar power upon you.”

Obar gives a defeated nod.

“I need to hear you say it,” Korra booms, her voice deeper from the Avatar state.

“I understand!” Obar shouts over the blustering. The wind dies down at his word, and anything caught up in the storm drops to the floor. 

Korra motions her free hand to release Obar’s left arm from the rock. Zhou Rhen presses a pen in his palm and then turns around so Korra can place the paper on his back. Obar stretches out a shaking hand and signs the document next to his now ex-wife's signature. 

***

The following day Korra, Mako, Opal, and Zhou Rhen made it back to Republic City just in time for dinner at the temple. Everyone was so excited to see each other and share what had happened since they were last together. It almost felt like a party. Korra couldn’t even remember the last time Mako had stuck around for dinner. Even though not everyone was back with them that night, there was one person Korra of course, missed the most, Asami. 

Korra sneaks away from the table after dessert to walk along the shoreline. When she hears soft footsteps catching up to her, she stops and turns around to see Jinora. 

“Wanna skip some rocks with me?” Korra asks, bending over to select a few from the rocky beach. She finds a few skip worthy and flings them against the tide.

Jinora drops down to a crouch to examine the rocks, seeking out flat and thin ones. Once her hands are full, she stands up and joins Korra at the end of the beach. For a few moments, the only sounds are the raking of the waves against the rocky shore and the plop of stones into the water if they don’t skip. 

Jinora holds up her last rock and flicks it into the blue. It catches the ocean at a perfect moment of calm and flies across the water, kissing the surface for a second and then jumping farther from the shore. It does this maybe nine or so times, then it's too far gone to see anymore.

Korra had stopped her skipping to watch. “Cheater,” she murmurs playfully.

Jinora turns to Korra and sees her smiling. She can’t help but mirror Korra’s goofy lopsided grin, but her eyes betray her and begin to fill with tears. “Korra, I’m so sorry,” she cries.

Korra rushes over and places a hand on Jinora’s shoulder. “Hey, it’s okay. I know you didn’t mean it. You were upset about your brothers.”

“Still, I know better. I knew that would hurt you, “ Jinora sobs. 

Korra uses her grip on Jinora’s shoulder to pull her into a hug. She rests her chin on top of Jinora’s head. “As someone who also grew up in many ways too fast, I’m here to tell you, you have got to cut yourself some slack. It doesn’t matter how mature you are; being a teenager is messy. It can feel like you’re not always the one in control, and you just vomit out these unimaginably stupid things.”

“I know, but,” Jinora starts.

“You’re no exception,” Korra says, cutting the younger girl off. “Just because you are an Airbending Master and will one day lead an entire nation of Airbenders doesn’t mean you aren’t allowed to be a fourteen years old from time to time.”

Jinora whimpers and clutches Korra a little tighter. Korra squeezes back. 

 

To be continued…

Chapter 50: The Real Kuvira

Chapter Text

Asami didn't want to see any of her business associates until after contacting Kuvira, but her search had been fruitless for five days, and she was starting to get a little nervous.

She had finished the shoreline and was now wrapping up her first quarter with a stop at Mitsubi Financial Group, located in the heart of Eguichi. Her father had investments with this firm for a very long time. He often reminded her that he always kept some money in the Fire Nation. 

Fortunately, Asami was able to maintain the connection with little effort. She doubted if any news about public figures associated with Amon ever made it across the shore. The Fire Nation got the headlines, and that seemed to be it. 

Asami reaches for a magazine on the table beside her in the lobby. The feature on the cover was for an upcoming opera. Her father had once brought her to a performance in Republic City. She didn't quite get it but loved the elaborate costumes and painted faces. Based on the posing of the two figures, this opera appeared to be a romantic one. 

"Asami Sato!" A booming male voice calls out.

Asami looks up to see Mr. Nagasura standing in front of her, arms open. He wasn't a tall man, so when they embraced, Asami could almost see over the top of his head, but his topknot obscured her view. He wore a gray business suit with a deep amber cravat at his neck. A combination of Republic City formal and traditional Fire Nation upper-class fashion was becoming the norm, even this far away from the mainland. 

"Mr. Nagasura." Asami lets go of the older man and reaches for the decorative bag next to her seat. She passes it over to him by the string handles.

Mr. Nagasura accepts the bag and immediately peaks inside. "Please call me Sota, your father and I are old friends."

The somewhat genuine smile on Asami's face slips away at his words. Mr. Nagasura is too engrossed in digging through his gift bag to notice he has sucked all the air out of the room. He peeks out from the bag to check on Asami, noticing her silence. Her face had recovered back to a pleasant smile. 

"Could we perhaps sit down somewhere while we catch up?" Asami asks sweetly.

Mr. Nagasura slaps the bag to his side and gestures to a door. "I've got a nice spot in my office." He opens the door, ushering Asami in, then turns to his young and beautiful secretary in the hall. "Bring us some tea." Mr. Nagasura moves to close the door, then whips it open again. "The  good  tea. Not the swill from the break room again."

The secretary bows deeply. "Yes, Mr. Nagasura."

Asami has already seated herself, so Mr. Nagasura takes the lush lounge chair beside her. He unbuttons his suit jacket and gets himself comfortable. "She's a looker but not the most intuitive. I bet you don't have that problem," Mr. Nagasura taps Asami on the arm with the back of his hand. "You don't care what your secretary looks like. Bet you have yourself some elderly schoolmarm. No life, so she never calls out."

Asami was about to answer Mr. Nagasura, but he cut her off. "Unless you got yourself one of those male secretaries. The problem with them is you can look, but you can't touch. That kind of man isn't interested in a strong businesswoman if, you know what I mean?"

Any concerns Asami had about being truthful with this man began to vanish. He was too chatty for Asami to get a word in before moving on to the next subject. She also wonders if it was advantageous or depressing that so little mention of what was going on in Republic City reached the Fire Nation. 

The secretary entering the room broke Asami from her thoughts. She had completely stopped listening to Mr. Nagasura, so this interruption would perhaps save her and allow her to catch the following subject matter. 

The young woman, maybe a year younger than Asami herself, places the tray containing the ornate jade teapot and matching cup set on the small table separating Asami's chair from the older man. 

Mr. Nagasura lifts off the lid and gives the steam a quick sniff. "Thank you, that should be all for now, Yua." He pours a cup for Asami and then one for himself.

"I thought about setting her up with my nephew, but I think she's more trouble than she's worth. Plus, she'd quit after they married, and I'd need to hire again," Mr. Nagasura blew a few breaths over his steaming cup, then took a small sip. "I don't see a ring on that finger. Any interest in relocating back to your motherland? Settle down with a nice investment banker?"

What Asami would have given for a copy of The United Republic to toss in his lap. Before she could even think of a clever answer, Mr. Nagasura waves a hand at her. "I know, you could never part with your big city life. My nephew will never live more than five minutes away from his mother, my sister-in-law. I tell my brother it isn't healthy, a boy being that attached to his mother, EVEN after he's made chief operations officer at my brother's firm." Mr. Nagasura shakes his head. "What am I thinking, my nephew, is the burden. Maybe I should pair him off with my secretary. I could hire one that knows what tea to brew when important clients visit. Speaking of visiting, what brings you here?" 

Asami relaxes back into her seat. This time she knew better than to even consider responding. 

"I have a huge investment opportunity I could present to you. Get you in early, make a lot of money."

Asami answers with a shrug. 

Mr. Nagasura leans towards her as if what he is about to say is a secret. "A very close friend is purchasing a coal mine up in Atsuzen. The patriarch of the family who owns it now just passed, and his kids don't want the business, so they're selling it off and taking their cuts."

"Coal is lucrative, but what makes this one so special?"

"The history,” Mr. Nagasura says, emphasizing with his teacup. “It's an old, old mine. Opened during the Sozen era, and the quality; phenomenal. It's an unbent mine. No Earthbender has ever moved a spec of dirt in the whole place."

"And that is a desirable form of excavation?"

"For old, proud, nationalist, and rich families? One hundred percent."

"But the children don't want to keep this big money maker?"

Mr. Nagasura leans back and crosses his legs. "Apparently, the old bastard forbade any new owner from changing the method of mining, even his own children. And, of course, his kids wanted to get with the times, industrialize, and increase the volume of the product. Just like what you at Future Industries are all about."

"Yes, those are some of our principles." Asami wills herself not to scowl at his words. "You're proposing I invest in a mine that will remain in the dark ages."

"You gotta diversify your portfolio, can't bank all your money in the new technologies, sometimes the money can be where it always has been, traditional institutions."

"Why don't you send me the business plan," Asami starts as Mr. Nagasura passes a portfolio. She juggles her tea for a moment to accept the folder being handed to her. "Ah, I'll give it a look tonight."

Mr. Nagasura grins.

Asami slides the portfolio into her shoulder bag at her feet and then leans toward Mr. Nagasura. "So, the reason I came, there are a few life events I need to inform you about..."

***

Mr. Nagasura offered to buy Asami dinner and show her the town, but she politely declined. She was honestly a little surprised he wanted to spend any more time with her, thinking the man might be a bit embarrassed he didn't know one of his clients had died or that she was dating only the most recognized human alive. Not this man, quick on his feet, apologized, laughed some of it off, and then ran his mouth at her for a bit longer. Asami turned him down primarily out of sheer exhaustion.

She walked to a small noodle house for dinner and then planned on catching a cab back to her Inn for her final night's stay. She had to decide where to relocate next and make the proper arrangements. 

Asami parts the painted fabric flaps covering the doorway into the restaurant and peers inside. It was a small space, a long bar with stools where most patrons sat hunched over their bowls and then a few two-top tables along the wall. Asami picks up a menu from the pile by the door and takes one of the tables. A gangly teen comes to take her order and then shuffles back behind the door.

Asami slides the menu to the other side of the table and pulls out the business proposal from Mr. Nagasura. She flips through the pages, and it appears to be a good investment, one she could take or leave. At the very back is a portrait of its current owner, a Mr. Kamakura, dressed not unlike the Fire Lord would. Based on the deep frown lines at either side of his grimace, the man may have never smiled in his life.

Asami's mind drifted back to the conversation, a mine where no bender could work. She couldn't imagine a lot of Fire Nationals interested in that grueling work. So, of course, machinery or Earthbenders would be ideal for excavation. But no bending, no equipment, back-breaking labor, this would be done by the very poor. Asami pushes the portfolio away. She couldn't in good-conscious profit from over-priced, needlessly complicated harvested coal.

The food arrived and took the place of the investment proposal. Asami slurps up some noodles and thinks.   Lower-class workers. Faces covered in soot, no bending, and they likely pay out the workers in cash each week. 

Asami reaches for the proposal again. There is an elaborate rendering of the mountain's exterior. Of course, the sky is a beautiful cerulean with wisps of clouds. It looks more like an advertisement for a vacation destination than a coal mine.

"This could be the spot."

***

The first thing the following morning, Asami used the inn's only phone to call Mr. Nagasura for a contact at Kamakura Mines, under the guise of wanting a little more information before investing. The chatty man was able to set up a full tour for her the following day. She just had to get out there. 

She was tempted to ask the couple at the inn for a hotel recommendation, but Mr. Nagasura had eagerly reached out to the hotel he frequents in the downtown area and asked them to hold a room for her. Asami didn't push back, remembering that she was traveling as Asami Sato, the businesswoman in this city.

Over her final breakfast, Asami scribbles down her to-do list. She needed to call Kali to ask her financial advisor to contact Mr. Nagasura for more details about the investment she will make. Then ask Kali to put on her calendar a reminder for next year to consider selling her shares of the Kamakura mine, especially if she does not like what she sees on her tour tomorrow. 

Late that afternoon, Asami and her aircrew landed in Atsuzen. The Kamakura mine was a two-hour drive from the airport, but she didn't have another option for her air vessel. She once again secured rooms for her small crew near the airport and then caught a cab into the city.

The downtown was quite lively, with old pagoda roofed storefronts and shrines mixed with more modern architecture. Asami's hotel is a sleek-looking tower. As she passes through the entrance, opened to her by a doorman, she misses her simpler accommodations. The one where she could imagine going with Korra one day. Sure, she could take Korra to a fancy hotel, but she noticed that her girlfriend was more relaxed in simpler environments.

Asami began to wonder what a shared space of theirs would look like. Korra didn't own any furniture at the temple. Would she want some items from her home in the south shipped out? Rustic family heirlooms, perhaps? It might be easier if they got a different place and put them on equal footing. That way, they’d both be moving in, not Korra coming into Asami's space. 

Asami tossed her bags on the bed. Who was she kidding? Korra likely didn't care about any of this. Korra would defer to Asami's wants and ideas in a home. Korra's main concern would be how comfortable the furniture is. 

She went to the large window overlooking the city. The sun was just starting to dip down, tinting the sky pink. What she desired was a home Korra would want to come back to. Asami knows she can never keep Korra all to herself. The world will steal her away from time to time, sometimes for long periods. But when Korra stepped back into Republic City, Asami wished that her first stop was home, their home. 

Asami wondered if this is how birds felt before making a nest. A surge of energy and will to build the perfect home to get their mate to settle down in. Perhaps it was something they could start discussing when they both returned. Maybe Korra was also ready to take another step together. 

***

The following morning during breakfast, a hotel attendant shuffled her way with an envelope. 

"Miss Sato?"

Asami pats her lips with a napkin before answering. "Yes?"

The attendant slips the letter beside her plate. "This is from the driver waiting for you outside."

Asami's lips pout as she tries to figure out what the attendant is talking about, but they slip away before she can ask any follow-up questions. So she settles on the envelope hoping for guidance there.

"The Kamakura family is happy to provide your transport to and from the mine. A chauffeur will be waiting outside your hotel to leave at your convenience," Asami quietly reads to herself. 

She goes back to her room to dress, and when she steps outside, she is expecting perhaps a luxury Satomobile, but the only vehicle in sight is something more rugged looking, not unlike a military jeep. A man stands in his seat and waves her over. 

"Wasn't expecting a ride like this, eh?" The driver says, opening the passenger door without leaving the vehicle. 

As Asami got closer, she got a better look at her escort. He was likely in his thirties, pure Fire Nation, coal-black hair cropped short and amber eyes. His cheekbones and chin were strong, attractive enough that if she were a different woman, she'd be swooning over the notion she was about to go off-roading into the jungle with this man.

"I'm Junji Kamakura," Junji starts, offering his hand to Asami as she takes her seat. "I'm one of the grandchildren."

"Are you for or against the sale?"

The vehicle starts with a deep rumble, and Junji puts it into gear. They take off down the main thoroughfare. "Not my opinion to have, as a grandchild."

"But surely you must have one all the same," Asami presses.

As they drive, the area around them becomes less urban and more rural. It's not long before the cityscape of downtown disappears from her view in the passenger-side mirror.

"I was hoping they'd keep it, but of course, modernize the production. Which my walking- antique of a Grandfather forbade."

Asami chuckles. "So I've heard."

"Asami Sato of The United Republic and CEO of Future Industries. What's a modern industrialist like yourself investing in an ancient relic of the past?" Junji asks as he sneaks a look in her direction. 

Asami shrugs."My financial advisor encourages me to keep my portfolio diverse with both new and old businesses."

Junji shot Asami with a knowing look.

Asami tries to hide the strain she feels as she thinks up another lie, more convincing. "He's a friend of my father's, and I want to do him a favor, so maybe he can help me out on some future business plans I have."

Junji snaps his fingers and points in her direction. "There it is."

"I'm coming out here to make sure I'm not completely throwing my money away on this. Other ways to pay him forward are just less appealing, like marrying his nephew."

"You'll get your investment return, depending on how big a partner you want to be in the buy. Just know long term, business is going to go down. There aren't THAT many citizens so invested in the pure harvesting of coal. They're starting to die off along with my grandfather."

"This may be presumptuous, but you don't appear to be that upset by your Grandfather's recent death."

Junji chuckles. "I guess my sister was right. It is obvious. Sure I loved him, he was my grandfather, but he could be a real bastard sometimes. You know?"

"I know?" Asami asks, tilting her head to the side.

"You love your father, right? Even after all he did."

Asami wishes she could be shocked by his knowledge of her father's crimes, but she was bound to meet at least one informed person on this trip. "I did, but anger kept me away from him too long. I wish I had gotten over that sooner because he passed just recently."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

"Thank you,"

The rest of the drive was mostly in silence, but not an uncomfortable one.

***

As Asami and Junji got closer to the mountain and mine, they drove into a small town that was bustling with activity. 

"This is Sakayo," Junji near shouts over the street noise. "Most of our workers end up living here. Our business offices are about half an hour away in Kikonai, which is considered a major city by local standards. That's where my family lives."

Asami looks around. She is surprised by the number of people living and working in the area. Junji slows the vehicle down and parks temporarily on the side of the street. "There is a big farming population here. Rice mostly. It's grown on the outskirts, processed and packaged in small outfits here in town."

"Makes sense."

"Should we grab some lunch, or do you want to head over to the mines first?" Junji asks. 

Asami turns to look at the big mountain looming menacingly close to the town. "Mines first."

Junji starts the engine again. "Figured. You can tell me your thoughts over the meal."

***

The initial tour of the mine was a little briefer than Asami had hoped, so she continued to poke her head into different caves or ask more questions about the delicate technique of hand harvesting. She desperately wanted more opportunities to look at as many soot-covered faces as possible, hoping Kuvira would be among them.

Junji started getting a bit short with her. Asami wondered if she should have eaten lunch with him first. She couldn't tell if he was annoyed because he was hungry or because it was reminding him of what his family was about to give up. 

Asami saw one last little corridor she hadn't explored. She decides it would be her final look, and then she'll let them go eat. Asami points to the area and gives Junji an apologetic smile. He shrugs and gives a permissive motion to the site but doesn't move. Asami sneaks around the bend to find a storage shed of shovels, hard helmets, and nothing more. 

"Alright, I think I've seen it all. How about that lunch?" Asami says as sweetly as she can muster.

Junji fishes a pocket watch from his vest pocket, reads the face and scowls. "More like dinner at this point."

"It'll be my treat for indulging me so much this afternoon. Do you have a restaurant in mind?"

Junji's face softens. "There is one place here that makes a decent cocktail. The food is so-so, but the drinks are almost worth driving down from Kikonai."

Asami steps to his side. "Lead the way."

***

Any residual grumpiness from the mine tour had vanished after a few drinks at Junji's restaurant of choice. He became very animated, and Asami was surprised to find herself having a genuinely good time. The only problem was the sun had gone down, and her 'chauffeur' was definitely no longer fit to make the two-hour drive back. She would have to gamble that some small hotel in town had availability for the night. Junji did not seem at all concerned, which led her to believe the family had a home or apartment nearby. 

At nine, Asami decided to call it a night before it got any later, and her options dwindled further. 

"Well, I do believe I will need to get a hotel tonight. Any recommendations?" Asami asks as she looks for her pocketbook in the depths of her shoulder bag. 

Junji blows out a puff of air. "C'mon now, you don't need to put all of that one. My family has a three-bedroom apartment right down the street. You can crash there."

"I appreciate the offer, but I would prefer to take care of my own accommodations for the evening," Asami says, leaving the Ban necessary for the tab and tip on the small tray holding the bill. 

Junji gets up from his seat and pushes it under the table. They walk together to the exit and pause out in front of the restaurant. 

"You don't ever mix business with pleasure?" Junji asks, flashing her a charming grin.

"I don't," Asami replies swiftly.

Junji shrugs. "And that's why you've probably gone so far in this world. Meet me here, say, at nine am? They make a decent breakfast as well. Then we can drive back."

Asami nods. "I'll see you then."

Junji nods back and then starts to make his way to his apartment. She notices his gait isn't as sure as it was before the four stiff drinks. After tasting the generous pour on her first drink, Asami nursed her second, and then that was it for herself. 

When he disappeared from her view, Asami let out a breath of relief. She wasn't surprised he made a pass, but she was really hoping he wouldn't. She did appreciate his ability to take no for an answer. That would make the ride back in the morning all the more comfortable. 

Asami readjusts her shoulder bag and goes in the opposite direction of Junji in search of a hotel. She winces, realizing she should have pressed him more for a recommendation, but if he had a place to stay, why would he? Still, she should have asked again. 

The busy streets were fairly quiet now, except a little ways ahead. She heard the din of people having animated conversations and, as she got closer, the sizzle of a griddle and the scrapping of spatulas. It was a pub responsible for the commotion. A few patrons had spilled onto the sidewalk out front, carrying on their conversations under the glow of red paper lanterns. 

Asami finds herself walking towards the establishment, perhaps because it was glowing so brightly in the dark streets. As she got nearer, she recognized the outfits worn by some of the patrons standing out front, and it all came together when she was close enough to see the poorly washed soot on their cheeks. This is where the miners hang out after work. 

The men hanging by the door stop their conversation as she steps closer. Likely confused as to why a well-dressed young woman was making her way inside. They all took a few steps back to clear a path for her. 

Asami smiles at them politely. "Thank you."

"No problem, ma'am," one mutters back.

Inside the pub are several small round tables, and at the back of the room is the bar. As Asami marches to the back, she tries to get eyes on every table she passes. When she reaches the bar, she orders a simple pour of rice whiskey, neat. 

Asami doesn't want anything else to drink but takes the glass in hand as a prop and eyes the room. No Kuvira. She is about ready to slam the drink and go find that hotel she was pushing her luck on with each passing minute when her eye notices a small nook in the far left corner. Someone sits alone, their back to the room, long dark hair cascading down it, hunched over a drink.

Asami slowly crosses the room. She tries to think of a conversation starter to get this person to turn around, but then they do her the favor of taking a wary glance over their shoulder. It must have been the sound of her delicate boots clicking on the old wood floors. A very unlikely sound at this establishment. Asami's breath left her chest as Kuvira's face came into view, and then their eyes met. 

Kuvira squints, confused as to why this out-of-place woman is looking at her so intensely. Then Asami sees recognition wash over Kuvira's face. Asami picks up her speed and sits down before Kuvira has a chance to think of bolting out of there.

Once Asami settles, the two women eye each other for a moment. Kuvira's name is at the tip of Asami's tongue, but she can't seem to bring herself to say it. 

Kuvira glances down at her drink. There isn't much left, so she takes the glass and polishes it off. She carelessly releases the glass with a thud. 

“Something big must have happened for you to take such a huge risk to track me down."

Asami leans across the table. “So you haven’t heard?”

Kuvira shakes her head. “I’m afraid not.”

“That is a bit of a relief, honestly,” Asami sighs, tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear. “You’re quite isolated here, right?”

“Suyin knew just the spot to dump me. Is that surprising?”

Asami shakes her head.

Kuvira leans away from the table and crosses her arms. “So, are you going to tell me what is going on?”

“You have been found alive in the Earth Kingdom.”

Kuvira’s eyebrows shoot up. “How?”

“Apparently, you have a doppelganger. The woman moved into some small town, got mistakenly recognized as you, and is now a part of a gigantic conspiracy in Ba Sing Se.”

Kuvira tries to picture the scenario Asami describes to her but can't. It's all too nightmarish and improbable. “How do you plan to fake her death?”

Asami narrows her eyes, unamused.

“Sorry, what do you all need me to do?” Kuvira motions at Asami."I doubt you'd come all this way just to catch me up on world affairs." Kuvira says, trying to put on a brave front. She doubts Asami would be sent if she was going to be asked to turn herself in, but maybe she wasn't actually alone.

“I’m here to deliver you a formal identity, which you will not slide into until things settle." Asami starts, slipping off her shoulder bag and reaching inside. "All we need is you showing up in some new town and starting this nightmare cycle again."

Asami removes a folder from her bag and slips it onto the table. She pats the folder for emphasis as she speaks. "This will also mean we will be able to keep some sort of tab on you, should we need to contact you again in the future. We can’t go around asking people if they have seen a woman that looks like Kuvira.”

"Is that not how you found me tonight?" Kuvira quips.

"I honestly can't believe I'm sitting with you in this workers' bar in the middle of nowhere. I don't even have everything I need to give you with me."

"Another wardrobe and make-up kit? Do I get to wear a fake mustache this time?"

"Yes and no," Asami replies sternly.

“I was just starting to settle into my life here. Twelve hours in a dark cave each day has been character-building. I could have leveled that mountain with one hand, and now I’m shoveling dirt like some sorry-” Kuvira stops herself. “It’s been an adjustment losing a part of myself.”

They both are silent for a moment as they ponder the admission. Kuvira's fists collide with the table, and Asami jumps in her seat, startled. 

“I gave it willingly!" Kuvira moans, pounding at the table again. "At night, I lay awake on my dingy cot and wonder, what if I had tried to fight it? I maybe could have taken them all, just long enough to slip away." Kuvira looks to Asami, but she gives no response. "But then I think, what would I have done after? I’d probably have died lost in that damn desert." Kuvira leans forward, letting her head slip into her hands, her elbows sliding apart as she settles into cradling herself.

Asami looks down at her lap.“You know I wonder about what-ifs and what could have beens. If I hadn’t let my father fly the hummingbird suit, If I had flown us away before you crushed him like a mosquito. We could have tried another spot, still cut a hole in your metal monstrosity, and he’d still be alive today.”

“It's not your fault he’s dead," Kuvira murmurs, clutching her own head.

“I know. It’s yours.”

Kuvira purses her lips. She releases her head, and her hands slap the table. “What are you doing here then?”

Asami looks up from her lap to meet Kuvira's gaze. 

***

Asami feared Kuvira's outbursts may have drawn too much unwanted attention and urges from them to carry on their conversation outside. Kuvira left the table so quickly she didn't even grab her folder. Asami swiftly scooped it up and followed Kuvira out of the pub and into the street.

"Could we perhaps go to your home?" Asami asks as she trails behind Kuvira.

"Nope," Kuvira stops and turns around. "I hang my hat at the mine dorms. Room and board come right out of my paycheck, couldn't be simpler."

Asami looks around the empty streets and sees one building with a porch. "Let's talk over there then." Asami uses the folder to point to the spot.

The two women step onto the small, unlit wooden porch and take a side at either end. 

"So," Kuvira starts, crossing her soot-covered boots and leaning her back into the porch's railing. "Tell me about my new life."

Asami tucks the folder in her bag for the moment and places both hands on the railing behind her. "You will be aspiring to a career in middle-management. Your education was with Future Industries' two-year management training program, which you traveled to Republic City to complete. You are a Fire Nation native. Your parents immigrated from the Earth Kingdom, of course.”

“Of course,” Kuvira repeats.

Asami sucks her teeth for a moment and then continues. “Now that you graduated, you are looking to start your career in your homeland. The certificate of completion and transcript of areas of study are all in the folder. This will explain the recent relocation you will be making and some of the more urban clothing you own. I have included a list of companies I think you would be best suited to apply to and a letter of recommendation from Future Industries. You will write to me once you have chosen a new location and been hired. Future Industries keeps tabs on its alums and will check in with your employer periodically."

Asami looks to Kuvira for some indication that she approves of the offer, but Kuvira keeps her face down, eyes on the floor.

"It will be a decent life," Asami urges, taking her weight off the railing and leaning her body in Kuvira's direction. "You'll have a real identity which will allow you to have employment, a bank account, and a home. Heck, you could even settle down and make a life with someone. I'm sending you off into the sunset."

Kuvira shakes her head and then looks up to meet Asami's gaze. "All this, for the person who destroyed your city, killed your father, and even kissed your girlfriend, whom I know you're mainly doing this for?"

"What?"

Kuvira smirks. "They actually all kept it a secret?"

"You're messing with me," Asami growls, crossing her arms.

"I planted a big one on your beloved Avatar. Suyin, Bolin, Opal, Suyin's sister, and that little Airbender girl, all watched it happen. And they kept the Avatar’s secret from you." Kuvira pushes herself from the railing she was leaning against and saunters to Asami's side of the porch. "I bet you're asking yourself, what the heck are you even doing here? Bet it wasn't your idea. Korra asked you to come to take care of me. Makes you wonder, huh?"

Kuvira stops when she is a few inches from Asami's face. "Why is she going through so much trouble, even risking you, to come make my life a little better." Kuvira pokes a finger curiously into Asami's shoulder.

Asami stiffens but does not move. Kuvira pushes again with her whole hand.

"I know what you're trying to do," Asami whispers.

"What am I doing?" Kuvira asks as she pushes Asami's shoulders with both hands now. The force is strong enough to make Asami stagger back into the railing behind her. 

"You're feeling drunk and sorry for yourself. So you're baiting me to fight you."

"Don't you want to hit me? Just a little."

Asami glances behind her and sees there really isn't an easy way out of the corner she's backed into. She tests sliding to her left to see if Kuvira will let her move in the small space they now both occupy. Kuvira does but follows, keeping her face in Asami's.

Asami takes one more big side step, so she is no longer entrapped by three sides of the railing. Kuvira follows again, but Asami now sees she has enough room to work with. She lets her body drop into a crouch and sweeps her right leg under Kuvira's. 

Kuvira crumples to the floor. Asami takes the opportunity to get off the porch and back into the street. Kuvira rights herself and follows. 

They circle each other in the dark street, no one noticing their tiff. Kuvira brings up her fits and makes quick small steps. She throws a fist, not actually at Asami, but in her direction. Kuvira's eyes go wide as nothing happens. 

Asami, just as lost as Kuvira at this moment, catches on sooner. Kuvira tries punching again, this time with the intention of hitting Asami, but she ducks and sweeps Kuvira's legs once again. Kuvira collapses face first.

"Stop doing that!" Kuvira groans into the dusty pavement. She hoists herself up and comes at Asami swinging. Asami goes low and lets Kuvira roll over her back and land on the pavement once again. 

Asami steps over to Kuvira and puts a boot on her chest. She fishes out the folder from her shoulder bag and lets it fall at Kuvira's side. A few papers slip out.

"I will come back here the day after tomorrow with the rest of your things. Meet me at that pub at seven o'clock. And don't drink so much." Asami gives Kuvira's chest a tap with her foot for emphasis and then walks in the direction of the restaurant she and Junji parted ways at. Hoping she'd have better luck finding a hotel in that direction.

***

Breakfast with Junji was a welcome distraction in the morning. He chatted her ear off like nothing had happened last night, he likely might have been just a little too inebriated to remember, or he was pretending that was the case. It didn't matter to Asami. 

They spent the two-hour drive back talking about the mining industry, what Junji's parents planned on doing with their share of the profits from the sale, and his intentions to travel to Republic City in the near future. 

He dropped her off in front of the hotel, and she assured him she saw everything she needed to and was all in on the purchase. Junji flashed her a smile and told her he felt just a little bit better about the whole thing, knowing she would be one of the owners. She watched him speed away before going back into the hotel. She was about to push for the elevator to go up to her room when she spied the hotel lounge. 

She purchased a small cocktail and took a seat near one of the large windows. It was at street level, but she had enough to look at while her mind drifted back to her conversation with Kuvira Kuvira. A big part of her wanted to grab her crew and take off back to Republic City. She technically had done what she had come to do. All the information and paperwork Kuvira needed was in the folder. Everything else she had for that damn woman was just decorum. Extra niceties Asami wanted to give her to enhance her deception. Where would she even stash the clothes if she was sleeping in some packed communal lodging with likely no closet of her own? Asami would have to give her some extra money to rent a storage space. 

Were they all just duping themselves into believing this egomaniac could stay low for the rest of her life? Should she just ask Junji if she knew a good hitman and be done with Kuvira? She could tell Korra she sent Kuvira to a lovely farm like her father did when Asami tried to keep a stray pigmy puma kitten a little after her mother had passed. He had one of his goons bring it to a 'nice farm' in the country. 

Asami shakes her head. If she was going to kill Kuvira, it would have been her brushing aside Raiko's comment and letting her rigged trial and execution play out. A task a little more easier to swallow had Ikki not been in the room that day. 

Asami felt nauseous. Was she her father? Was the only thing keeping her from acting on these darker impulses were the good people in her life? She sets the drink on the small table beside her chair and rushes to her room. Once inside, Asami tosses her shoulder bag in the armchair by the door and her shoes beneath it. She pulls the clip from her hair, throws it on the bedside table, and then runs her fingers through her tresses. Her scalp ached a little from her hair being pulled back too tightly. 

Asami crawls onto her bed and sits in the lotus position. She takes in as much air as possible and slowly blows it past her lips. She does this a few times until her nausea dissipates. As the feeling passes, she finds her senses returning to her. She is not her father. She is in control of her own thoughts and feelings. The people in her life have made her a better person, but that doesn't mean they are her only moral compass. 

As Asami thinks and reminds herself, getting all that she knows to be true out, she becomes calmer and calmer. Her mind stops being so targeted and starts to drift. As she thinks about her father, she runs out of the bad and finds her thoughts wandering to older memories before he was bitter, back when her mother was still alive.

She was very young. Asami knew this because when she looked at the door she was pushing open, the handle was at her eye level. It was already ajar, but she moved it far enough to peer inside her father's study. He was at his desk but not hunched over his papers like he usually would be. He was looking to his left, where her mother sat on the edge of the oak behemoth. Her shoes were kicked off and on the floor nearby, her long legs casually kicking at the air. 

Suddenly Hiroshi stands. Asami takes a step back, bringing the door with her to shield herself. But Hiroshi didn't notice. He was only moving close to Yasuko. Without speaking, Hiroshi bends down, and Yasuko tilts her head up for a kiss. 

Asami remembers this. Seeing her parents kiss was so rare that she had found it embarrassing at the time. If this was the memory, she was supposed to run away, like she had, undetected. But Asami couldn't bring herself to move. She was fascinated by this casual and tender moment between her parents. How many afternoons were like this? Did her mother often come in and remind her hyper-focused father to stop working and take pleasure in the family and life he worked so hard to build. 

There were no photographs of her parents this way. No mover. Asami wishes she could live in this moment anytime she wanted. Like a snow globe she could find on a shelf, turn over and watch her memory play out. All she could do now was somehow weld this to her brain.

Asami was overthinking and had become self-aware. Her vision of her parents went dark, and she was staring at the back of her eyelids once again. Asami opens them, and the world is dark. Was ahe stuck in her meditation? No, the afternoon had turned to night. She was gone far longer than she thought. She slips off the bed and turns on a light. 

***

Asami rented a vehicle for her trip back to Sakayo the next day. This way, she wouldn't be reliant on anyone else. During her lengthy drive, she finally allowed herself to think about the unsettling bit of information Kuvira had thrown in her face, that she had kissed Korra. 

Asami tried to imagine the scenario where that was plausible during the time in the desert and why on earth it would ever occur. Was there something between them Asami didn't know about? Korra's interactions with Kuvira were quite limited. She was recovering in the South while Kuvira stepped in to stabilize the Earth Kingdom. Korra was missing when Kuvira declared she would not step down. 

Asami arrived in town early in the afternoon with no better understanding. This gave her enough time to take care of her remaining errands. Asami passed through the doors at the bar early, but Kuvira was already there to her surprise. Same table, in the dark nook off to the side. Asami ordered a drink and then joined her.

“I’ve been trying to come up with what I’m going to tell my coworkers when they ask who the mysterious fancy lady I’ve been meeting with is,” Kuvira says with a weak smile.

Asami finds herself chuckling. “I’ve been having a similar problem all week. What lie would bring me to you.”

“Have any you could spare?”

Asami rests her chin on one of her palms. “Say I’m a cousin checking in on you, and you refused my help.”

“Then one day I’ll disappear, and they will figure she must have taken that help after all.”

Asami considers it for a moment. “That actually would be a great cover. May I ask what you’ve told them about your past?”

Kuvira twists her glass around a few times. “Nothing really, no one asks, I think it’s an unspoken courtesy. Like I imagine prisoners might also extend to one another.”

“But you think they’ll ask about me.”

Kuvira motions her drink at Asami. “You’re outta the ordinary.”

“Got it,” Asami replies, taking a little sip. The drink, again, is more of a prop. She wants to stay sharp, considering how their last evening together went.

Kuvira looks down at the table, her shoulders droop down. “I’m a little surprised you came back, honestly. I was quite the ass to you the other night.”

Asami holds her drink close and leans back in her seat. She waits for Kuvira to continue, and after a moment, she does.

“I am grateful for everything you all have done. I really am. I am still alive because of all the risks you all had to take, and I don’t know the full cost,” Kuvira sits back up in her seat, and she looks more like her old self. If she was in her uniform, Asami might have even been a bit intimated. “But I’m still suffering from whiplash. I spent three years rebuilding an empire. I was moments from achieving reunification of the Earth Kingdom not seen before the hundred-year war. It was to be a moment for the history books, and then a few weeks later, I’m in the middle of the desert on my knees, having my bending removed. And then skip ahead a month, and I’m some nameless urchin shoveling coal in the middle of nowhere.” Kuvira grabs her forehead. “I think about the past, and I feel sick. Not for what I have done, but for who I could have been. I had come so far only to land even worse than I started. If I remained an orphan in Zaofu, I’d be a thousand times better than I would be today.”

Asami shifts in her seat.

“That being said, here you are, taking a big risk to improve my situation, even though my life maybe even more than I deserve. I want you to know I am appreciative, and I am sorry I did not express that last night. I just wanted to explain myself a little better." When Kuvira finishes, she releases her forehead and rests her hands on her lap.

Asami nods a few times as she chews over what Kuvira has just said. “You know our encounter didn’t go as I had planned either. I, too, have been doing some long-overdue reflecting. Honestly, I wanted to come in here and finally get my chance to tell you how much you had taken away from me. But I’ve realized you didn’t put my father in jail. You didn’t stop me from visiting him. He could have died that day a free man, protecting those he loved. He could have died that day knowing his daughter all the better through three years of visits in prison. The choices we made affected the outcome just as much as the ones you did. I wanted someone to blame for my father and I’s problems outside of ourselves. And that’s just what my father did after my mother died. Granted, in that situation, I don’t think any choices were my fathers.”

Kuvira holds up a finger. “I’m really sorry to ask, but,”

Asami nods. “We were robbed, and my mother was killed. My father never forgave those people, and it poisoned him. Enough to make the choices that put him in jail. I don’t want to look up from my desk one day and realize I’m still angry with you, and it's shaped me in ways I'm not even aware of yet.” Asami seeks out Kuvira’s eyes. She has them, and it’s even harder looking into them than she imagines. Her stomach clenches, but she knows what she must say to start healing the sickness inside of her. “I don’t want that in my life anymore. I forgive you.”

Kuvira is the one to break eye contact. Her green eyes lock on the table between them. She never expected to hear those words, and for some reason, they burned.

Asami reaches into her pocket and places a key with a tag chain on the table. “This key is to a storage box. It’s a facility near the post office. Number thirty-nine. Clothes, make-up, a nice business bag for interviewing, enough for a deposit on a new place, and a few other accessories are stored there. Give it a couple weeks and if word of what happened in the Earth Kingdom about you doesn’t reach the papers, go ahead. The storage is paid for three months if you need to lay low a little longer. I’d recommend storing the folder I gave you in there too.” 

Kuvira stretches out a hand to cover the key and slides it towards herself. “About that kiss.”

Asami’s stomach jumps, but she does not let any concern show on her face.

“We were parting ways in the desert. It was an impulse I had. Avatar Korra didn’t kiss me back, not even for a moment.” Kuvira makes sure to capture Asami’s eyes, to know she is sincere. “So don’t give her a hard time.”

Asami gives a slight nod. “I won’t.”

***

Asami hardly has the patience for the two-plus days it takes her to get back home to Republic City. She called the temple before leaving. She only allowed herself the one call there to tell either Ikki or Korra she was coming home. She almost sobbed with relief when Ikki said Korra was back, just not at the temple at the time of her call. Asami relayed her anticipated arrival time and hoped Korra would be there to meet her. 

When they landed and the stairs were lowered, Asami had never felt more relieved to see Korra leaning against her favorite blue Satomobile. It wasn’t until after Asami ran down the steps and was hugging Korra that it dawned on her. 

“Your legs!” Asami shouts, pushing Korra from her grip for a better view.

Korra beams. “Surprise.” She holds her left leg and wiggles her boot.

“But how? You weren’t gone  that  long.” 

Korra squinches up like a child excited to tell a story. “There was this bone bending healer in the lower ring. He was super weird, and I think he ripped me off, but I guess not because here I am standing.”

“How did you find this guy?”

Korra shakes her head. “The whole trip was crazy. I’ll tell you all about it when we get home. I got some takeout in the car. I’m sure you're hungry.”

“You’re actually right. Only now is it hitting me that I didn’t eat at all on the airship. Asami touches her stomach as it starts to rumble.

“That’s crazy!” Korra gestures to the Satomobile. “Let’s get some food in you.”

Korra takes Asami’s hand and starts leading her away. Asami stops for a moment, still holding Korra’s hand, so it tugs the Avatar back. “When you say home, where do you mean?”

Korra cocks her head to the side and shrinks down into her shoulders like a guilty child. “Your apartment? I mean, that’s your home, but I uh,” Korra stammers. “Did I say something wrong?”

Asami shakes her head. She reaches out her other hand to hold both of Korra’s. “What if it was  our  home?”

Korra gives her that wonderful, lopsided grin. "You mean it?"

"Did you think I'd never ask you to move in with me?"

No, I just... " Korra blushes and shakes her head. "Let's go home."

Korra takes the passenger side. Asami shakes her head and sits in the drivers. 

"I'm only comfortable driving if you can't be there to see how bad it is."

"We're starting lessons again next week. I know you can do it," Asami says as she closes her door.

"I can practice using your satomobile to move my stuff."

"That would be like one trip!" Asami says with a snort. "You've got what, half a back seat of belongings at the temple?"

"There might be some overflow to the trunk." 

"There is one condition for you to move in with me by the way."

Korra grabs her chin and rests her elbow on the window. "I've got to wash the dishes from time to time, I know."

"Nope," Asami says, shaking her head with a smirk.

"Then what is it?"

Asami peeks over to look at Korra. She had stopped resting her elbow on the door and was now looking back at her intently. Asami playfully looks away back to the road. 

"No more kissing anyone else, only me."

Korra cocks her head to the side, confused for a moment. Then her eyes bulge. "SHE TOLD YOU." She starts moving in her seat frantically, unable to sit still with panic. "I can explain! I am so sorry. Whatever she said-"

Asami stops the card at a red light and puts a finger to Korra's lips, quieting her. "Kuvira told me the truth. Just next time, I want to be hearing about this kind of thing from you."

Korra nods her head up and down furiously. When Asami removes her finger to resume driving, she can speak again. "I promise."

 

To be continued...

 

Chapter 51: A Wedding And A Mover Part 1

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Three weeks later 

Korra stands in the middle of her room at Air Temple Island and surveys it for perhaps the last time. Her bed was made, drawers emptied, and the closet cleaned out. It really didn’t look a heck of a lot different. She tries to remember how it felt to move in, but the person she was when she did, felt like a lifetime ago. A soft noise behind her catches her attention. 

“I think you’ve more than doubled what you moved in here with,” Pema chuckles as she leans against the door frame of Korra’s soon-to-be old bedroom.

Korra looks down at the two duffle bags at her feet. “I can’t believe it was nearly five years ago?” 

Pema’s hand wanders to her belly as if she was pregnant with Rohan again. “I remember thinking to myself; a teenager should be a lot less trouble than your three preteen children.” She blows a raspberry for emphasis. 

Korra chuckles. “You’ve been like a second mother to me. You know that, right?”

Pema shakes her head. “Why are you talking like this is goodbye? I’m going to see you here tomorrow for Sunday dinner and then the day after that because this is technically your place of Avatar business.”

“I knooooow.”

“I don’t know if Tenzin plans to give you a desk somewhere. He probably should just let you keep this room.” Pema leaves the door frame and walks over to Korra.

The sad little look on Korra’s face takes her back a moment to that awful time when that was the only expression Korra made. She had seen plenty of pouts in her day, raising four children, but it never cut her so deeply as the way when Korra did it. Perhaps it was seeing it from someone who typically was so strong and vibrant. 

Pema still remembers the first time Asami stepped in and helped Korra get ready. It wasn’t that Pema was surprised by Asami’s tender, almost motherly side. It was how focused it was on Korra. 

The two girls worked beautifully together. Way better than she and Korra had. It was part of the reason she was shocked when Korra decided to leave for the South. The pair had just settled into a working routine. But then Pema thought about it a little more, thinking about how the little pout would return as soon as Asami left. Korra wasn’t just feeling helpless anymore. She was burdened with guilt too. She saw what Asami was willing to do and to put aside for her. Korra couldn’t allow her friend to do that. 

Pema gently places her hands on Korra’s shoulders. “I know it’s a big step, but it’s the right time to make it. Don’t make that poor girl wait for you any longer.”

Korra falls forward into Pema and wraps her arms around her waist. Pema’s hands move to Korra’s back to return the hug.

Ikki and Jinora appear in the doorway. Jinora carries a small bundle.

“We made you some bean paste buns with smiley faces to bring with you for your first night away,” Jinora offers them to Korra.“Some of the smiles might be kinda messed up because  someone  couldn’t stop crying on them.”

Ikki peeks out from behind Jinora. Her eyes are puffy and red, with tears threatening to fall from the corners. “I’m soooorry. I just don’t want you to go-ho-ho!” she sobs.

Pema rolls her eyes and lets out a long breath. “Ikki, sweetheart. Enough.”

“I. Just. Am. Going,” Ikki stutters out between gasps. “Miss. You. So. Much.”

Korra moves to Ikki’s side and bends down to be at her eye level. “I’ll be back, pretty much every day. And we’ll still do sleepovers.”

“Can I sleep over at your place sometimes too?”

“Of course,” Korra replies, giving Ikki a little pat. “Okay, I better go say goodbye to Tenzin.”

“He should be in the courtyard with Rohan, trying out his new scooter,” Pema says, gesturing in that direction. 

Korra bends down to grab her two duffles and then hoists them onto her shoulders. She rests the bindle of buns on top of one of her bags. “See you tomorrow!”

Korra disappears through the door. Ikki goes to her mother’s hip and rests her head there. She lets out a few new sniffles.

“Ikki, sweetheart, you are too old to make this big of a fuss.”

***

Korra finds Tenzin, Kya, Katara, and Rohan in the courtyard. The three adults are engrossed in watching Rohan propel himself around in little circles. His wheelchair was low to the ground. Instead of sitting with his legs dangling, they were straight out, with wooden paneling on the side to hold him in. Two large wheels are located by his hips which he grasps to make it move, and one smaller wheel is beneath where his feet were. 

“Korra, come here and see little Rohan go!” Katara calls out, noticing the Avatar’s presence first.

“Oh, look at that.” Korra reaches the group and drops her duffle bags to her side. “What an interesting design for a wheelchair.”

“I had it made special,” Katara says proudly. “Teo’s father was inspired by the teachings he discovered in the air temple they took refuge in. I think it’s only fitting that we test such a design for Rohan.”

Korra mouths Teo to Kya and Tenzin. Her children were much more familiar with the stories of their mother and father's youth. Kya places a hand on her mother's mother.

“I’m impressed you could remember what something looked like from when you were fourteen,” Kya says, looking at Korra. 

Korra nods slowly, better understanding who Katara is talking about. 

Katara rubs her hands together. “I’m sure it’s not an exact replica, but the craftsman did a wonderful job.”

“He seems to be taking to it,” Korra says as she watches Rohan. He runs his hands towards himself on the wheels, causing the chair to back up. He giggles as he moves backward. 

“Fortunately, he is young. He will be quite adaptive.” Tenzin looks away from his son for a moment and to Korra. “So you’re heading out then?”

“I am.”

“Remember, you always have a place here, no matter what." Tenzin gives Korra a little pat on the back. They embrace for a few moments. 

“Thank you, Tenzin.”

“What he means is, if Asami ever says you're sleeping on the couch,” Kya says, reaching out for a hug as well. “However, I’m going to take over your room, so if you need a place to stay, you're bunking with the girls.”

“Wait, really?” Korra asks as she releases Kya.

Kya nods and motions to Katara. “Mom and I will be staying here for a while. She doesn’t seem to mind a sleepover every night with Ikki and Jinora, but I need my own space.”

"Youth keeps you young!" Katara calls out. The lines at her eyes crinkle, and she fondly thinks of her granddaughters. 

"Youth keeps you up!" Kya snaps back."

Korra departs the group. As she walks, the mother-daughter bickering get's harder to make out, but she can tell from their tone that it's all in good fun. 

***

Asami leaves her office to pick Korra up at the docs and drives them home. They had been sleeping over at each other’s places since their return to Republic City, but tonight was Korra’s official first night of being moved in. 

The elevator doors opened to their floor, and as they stepped out, they spotted a large crate outside the apartment door. Since Korra’s arms were full, Asami inspected the delivery. 

“It’s from your parents,” Asami says, reading the return address pressed into the crate’s wood. 

Korra cranes her head curiously to read over Asami’s shoulder. “Wonder how they got your address.”

“Our address,” Asami replies with a wink. She unlocks the door and waves Korra in. “I think I have a crowbar in the bedroom.”

Korra tosses her bags into the sitting area and then returns to the hall to collect the crate. As she’s resting it on the floor, Asami joins her, crowbar in hand. 

“I love you,” Korra sighs as she watches Asami go to work on breaking open the crate. She wedges the crowbar under the wood on the sides of the lid. The wood and nails squeak as they separate. Asami finishes with the last side, then pushes the top off once separated.

“It looks like a wooden chest,” Asami says, moving aside so Korra can see.

Korra bends down, grasps the chest by the handles, and pulls it out. Bits of packing straw fall to the side. She places it on the floor and stands back. The chest is made of sanded pine, natural wood finish, with decorative stained bone inlays depicting a snowy landscape on the top.

“It’s beautiful,” Asami murmurs, crouching down for a better look. Korra joins her.

“Open it up,” 

Asami’s hands move to the edges of the chest and lift the lid. She lays it gently back. The wood whines a little as it bends.

Resting at the top is a set of large wooden utensils with ornate designs carved into the handles and a card.

Korra reaches for the card and flips it open. “For your new home, love Mom.” She rests the card in her lap. “Wow, this is big.”

Asami fishes out a few of the different spoons to inspect. “Are these special?”

“Not individually, no, but the whole chest is a big gesture on my mother’s part,” Korra says, digging into the box. She pulls out a blue woven blanket with tribal markings. Once removed, it exposes a wealth of home decor. “This is a gift parents would give to a newly wedded child. To help them start their new home.”

“Oh, I see.” Asami shyly pulls out a wooden bowl to inspect. It has some blue tribal markings along the outside rim. 

“Course, Mom maybe didn’t know I’m moving in with a girl who has everything.”

“Yes, but nothing I have in this apartment is as meaningful.” Asami places the bowl at her side to investigate the box further. She finds a soft pelt and slides it out. “So this means we have your mother's blessing?”

Korra feels her chest tighten, and she nods. “I should call and let her know we got it.”

***

Senna tries to play it cool on the phone, but Korra knows how big of a decision it must have been for her to put together the chest. Her father confessed he didn’t know about it until she asked him to ship it. The gift was from Senna and Senna alone. 

Korra felt her heart swell as she hung up with them. It was pretty late there, so she didn’t want to keep them on the phone long. Korra made a mental note to express to her mother how grateful she was for the steps she’s been taking to understand and accept her relationship with Asami. She didn’t have to have her mother’s approval, ever. That would not change her feelings and life with Asami. But her mother’s support made it all the more sweeter.

Korra leaves the bedroom and takes a few steps down the short hallway into the main living area. She enters the kitchen and can see Asami standing at the full-length windows by the dining table. She has taken off her jacket and tossed it on the table, so she is only wearing her white undershirt on top. She holds a steaming mug close to her chest as she looks out at the city. The sun has begun to lower, casting a glow on the still-standing skyscrapers.

Korra stays put, taking in the moment. She was no longer just spending the night at Asami’s apartment. The walls around them make up  their  home. The nesting box from her mother all but solidified that for her. 

If you had asked Korra when she was younger, would she believe that one day she would end up living with a gorgeous woman in a posh highrise apartment in Republic City? She wouldn’t have rejected the notion but never believed it possible. 

 “Like the moth to the flame to the coal,"  a soft voice whispers in Korra's mind.

Korra’s mind brings herself back to the compound. She saw her younger self walking along the perimeter of the fence, in the one corner of the property away from the buildings with few trees. It was her place to go when she wanted to be alone. She must have been about fourteen from the looks of herself as she stomped along the fence.

Young Korra’s face was red, but it didn’t appear to be from the cold. She suddenly slapped her cheeks. “What’s wrong with me? She’s a she. A she, dummy!”

It suddenly came back to Korra. Her Firebending Master had invited a group of other Firebending teachers to observe her progress. There was one woman among the group of seven or so, and she nearly took Korra’s breath away. 

 “Like the moth to the flame to the coal.” 

The words repeated over and over in her mind. It was how the woman’s presence made Korra feel, but the words did not feel like her own. She sometimes felt that pull before she connected with her past lives. A feeling now she rarely had except sometimes in her dreams. 

And she felt it now. Korra was back in the apartment, and Asami looked at her with a curious smile.

“Did you go somewhere just now?” Asami asks before taking a sip from her mug.

Korra starts walking to the dining area to join Asami at the windows. “I did,” Korra replies with a chuckle. “I was fourteen again and freaking out over finding this older Fire Nation woman very attractive.”

Asami flips her hair playfully. “Are you sure that isn’t the present?”

Korra grins and leans her weight against the dining table. “It’s all very cyclical with me, you see. But I’m not freaking out about it anymore.”

“I would hope not.”

Korra pushes off the table to move behind Asami. She wraps her arms around Asami’s waist and rests her chin on her shoulder. “Quite the opposite. I was in the throes of thinking how happy and settled I was until my mind had other ideas.” 

“The mind is funny that way, isn’t it? I’ve found the meditating techniques Ikki and Jinora taught me to be quite helpful for such things.”

Korra pulls her chin off Asami’s shoulder to readjust but finds herself captivated by the pale and slender neck in front of her.   

Korra brushes aside Asami’s loose ponytail to bring her lips to the porcelain skin. She doesn’t kiss but gently runs them along the contours. The fine hairs tickle her lips but in a good way. 

Asami shivers from her own tickling by Korra’s breath.

Korra’s hand moves from Asami’s waist along her arm until it comes into contact with the teacup. She tugs at it, and Asami lets go. She places the cup on the table not too far behind them. Asami attempts to turn around, but Korra tightens her grip. 

Korra’s attention returns to the neck in front of her. She brushes her bottom lip along the flesh one more long, drawn-out time. Then she tilts her head and then closes her mouth around as much neck as she can, applying light pressure to her bite. 

Asami falters slightly and presses her right hand on the glass to stabilize herself. The left seeks to touch Korra but is intercepted and pushed to join her right hand. Korra keeps her hand over the taller girl’s for a moment, caressing her thumb over the back of Asami’s. She then gives a firm press to let Asami know to keep it there.

Korra nips along Asami’s neck from the base to her hairline, standing on her toes to get that far up with their height difference. She grasps and gropes at Asami’s hips to keep their bodies close. Her girlfriend's pleasured squeaks and sighs embolden her to move her hands upwards, and the bottom of Asami’s shirt goes up along with them.

“Are you going to show me off to all of Republic City?” Asami breathes, reminding Korra of where they were standing. Korra releases her grip, allowing Asami to turn around and face her.

They crash into each other, lips first. Both driven by urgency, they tussle for control. Korra tries to press Asami to the window, but Asami wins, backing the shorter girl to the table. Korra uses the leverage of the furniture to steady herself and focus her strength on removing Asami’s shirt and pants. They toss the clothing aside, and their lips meet again. While kissing, Asami works at Korra’s fur wrap and pants while Korra lifts off her own shirt. 

Now in her undergarments, Korra sits on the table and beacons the other girl to her. Asami is about to step between Korra’s legs when Korra grabs her rear and guides her to straddle her right leg. Asami closes her eyes and uses Korra’s shoulders to brace herself for the sudden pressure on that sensitive area. Korra pulls her closer, and Asami gasps into Korra’s mouth before their lips reconnected. 

They rock and grind together, catching tiny breaths between hungry kisses. Korra keeps her hands firm on Asami’s buttocks, guiding her along the length of her thigh. Korra growls when she notices Asami’s wetness seeping through her panties and onto her leg. 

Korra drops her leg down, and Asami stumbles for a moment, but then she's swept into Korra’s arms in one swift movement. 

“Take me to bed?” Asami whispers, wrapping her arms around Korra’s neck and then pressing a few kisses there.

Korra grins. She shows off her strength by curling the taller girl a few times like she was a barbell as she marches them towards the bedroom. Korra kicks a leg out to close the door behind them. Then it dawns on her that it doesn’t matter. They are utterly alone in their own home. She leaves it open.

***

The room had become dark since the late afternoon turned to night. Only now was Asami aware of the time shift. The neon din from the city surrounding had been providing all the light they needed to see each other. 

Korra was awe-inspiring in this lighting. Her muscle definition, all highlights, and shadows. Her eyes so blue that they appeared to glow, but it was just the light reflecting off them. 

Asami reaches out a hand, then just her pointer finger, and presses it to Korra’s lips. Korra responds by pursuing her lips to kiss the soft pad.

Asami giggles and swaps out her fingers one by one, and Korra kisses each in response. 

“I love you,” Korra whispers as she finishes with the pinky.

Asami brushes the skin of Korra’s cheek with the backs of her freshly kissed finger. “I love you too.” 

***

The following day the group gathers at Air Temple island. After everyone’s return to Republic City, Pema suggested the reinstatement of Sunday dinner, as they did while Korra was away. 

Pema missed the routine. All the more so with Meelo and Bumi gone and Korra moved out. She looks around the table, and her heart swells as it's near overflowing with most of her favorite people. She sought out her two daughters and found Ikki sandwiched between Korra and Asami, with Jinora to Korra’s left. Her little Ikki looked especially pleased to be seated between  her  two favorite people.

Beside Jinora was Zhou Rhen, and then next to him Mako, looking more relaxed than he had at their home in a very long time. 

Pema then focuses on Opal and Bolin in the middle of the table. It was their night as well; they announced the official date for their wedding. She hadn’t known Opal for as long as Bolin, but she couldn’t be happier for the two. 

She found her mind drifting back to her conversation with Suyin and Senna during the Varrick and Zhu Li’s wedding party. The “next wedding” the three women toasted to has arrived. 

Pema looks back to Korra and Asami. Her youngest daughter was prattling on about something, unaware the two older girls were likely only half listening, as they made eyes at each other. Pema recognized those special looks they were giving. The kind couples give each other sometimes in those glorious and often fleeting moments when you feel perfectly in sync with one another. You can read their feelings all in a glance. 

Pema found herself wondering, would she and the other mothers guess those two girls would be next to get married during Opal and Bolin’s reception? 

At that moment, for the first time, it dawned on Pema that she saw no difference between the two couples in front of her, and many people would consider that unusual. The good feeling Pema had cultivated dissipated as the realization that Korra and Asami couldn’t technically get married settled in. 

Pema looked back to Ikki between them. Jinora has her suspicions, and she wasn’t blind to her daughter’s intensity towards the couple, Asami especially. There was a genuine possibility her daughter might come home one day with another girl and say this is who she wants to spend her life with.  

“So,” Opal thunders, catching the whole room's attention. Sticks clank on porcelain, and seats squeak as the group prepares for such an abrupt summons for their attention. 

Opal turns to her fiance at her side. “I just found out Bolin’s mover premiere will be three days before our wedding?” 

Bolin swallows a big bite of his food. “Four.”

“Shey won’t move the date?” Asami asks.

“Apparently, it can’t be moved, and she didn’t know when it was despite Bolin and I knowing for a couple of weeks now.” Opal shrugs and gives her fiance a sly look. “Bolin just neglected to inform her we set a date. It’s fine. I told him he could go to that instead of having a bachelor party.”

Bolin lets out a nervous laugh. He sneaks a peek at his brother as he speaks. “I’m sure it will be better than the party Mako would throw me, no offense." 

Mako grimaces. “Bachelor parties are nothing but trouble anyway. Do you remember Slippery Shinji’s? It nearly broke up the marriage before it even started.”

Bolin thought back to that night, and a small smile started to pull on his lips. He knew better than to share any of the events that transpired. “That was pretty wild.”

Opal slaps the table, startling Bolin back to reality. “Also, get this, the Earth Kingdom's election, i.e., my mother's, is like twelve days after my wedding. My mom will be campaigning to people who aren't even voting in her election.” Opal leans back and crosses her arms. “This is what I get for wanting to get this all over with before summer.”

“Get this over with?” Bolin squeaks.

“You know what I mean. It gets so hot, and it’ll be sweltering before we know it. We’d have to wait like four more months to get married before it starts cooling off again.” Opal looks over to her fiance, who doesn’t seem wholly convinced. “Bolin, baby, I’m so excited to marry you.” She leans over and plants a big kiss on his cheek. 

The corners of Bolin’s mouth perk up, and he bashfully smiles. “Me too.”

As the couple kanoodles for a few moments, Zhou Rhen leans on the table to catch Korra’s eye. “Avatar Korra, I wanted to let you know I will be leaving for a brief period. I am long overdue to report to my master.”

“But you’ll come back, right?” Jinora asks.

“If Avatar Korra will have me.”

Korra gives a little nod. Asami notices it may not be enough, so she snakes her arm around Ikki to poke a finger in Korra’s side. The Avatar puts down her chopsticks and leans in his direction.“You’re always welcome here.”

Zhou Rhen sinks a little into himself. “Thank you.”

“You should at least stay for the wedding,” Bolin chimes in.

Zhou Rhen looks to Opal, knowing her invitation holds more weight. Opal grins and shakes her head. “Come to the wedding.”

“Well,” Zhou Rhen starts, removing his glasses and giving them a few wipes of his sleeve. “I suppose I could stick around a little bit longer.”

“Great, someone needs to keep Mako company at the singles table,” Opal says with a snort.

Mako scowls at Opal but then turns a friendlier face to Zhou Rhen. “Bolin and I have a lot of cousins, stick with me, and maybe I can set you up. At least one of us might meet someone at this affair.”

“Sorry, Mako, but my Aunt Lin, who I am only saying this about because she’s not here, failed to deliver on cousins for you to date.”

Bolin holds up a finger. “I mean, I think some of our cousins are older than us and have their own kids, so…” He starts to count on his hand. “How far removed are your cousin’s kids?”

“No need to strain yourself over that Bolin,” Mako replies, near cutting his brother off. “I don’t need to meet anyone at your wedding. I can do that on my own time.”

“You know, the other day, I saw a poster for a singles dance,” Tenzin offers, joining the conversation.

Mako holds up a hand and looks at his lap. “I appreciate the input, but I’d like to figure this one out on my own.”

“That’s very mature of you, Mako,” Pema says sweetly.

“Thank you, Pema," Mako replies. He sits a little straighter and resumes eating. 

The rest of the group settles back into eating their food too. For a few moments, the only sound is the gentle clinking of the windchime outside the door. 

“So what’s the plan after you two get married? Where are you going to live?” Korra asks before popping a whole dumpling into her mouth.

“Going to get our own place.” Bolin grins, stealing a glance at Opal. “Mako and I are saying goodbye to the old bachelor pad.”

Mako raises a hand as if he was volunteering. “I’ll be getting a new bachelor pad. I found one that’s nothing special but very close to the station.”

Bolin pats a firm hand on Mako’s shoulder, jostling him. “No more sleeping at the station for this guy. He has no excuse not to go home.”

Opal pushes her bowl away and timidly rests her chopsticks on top. “My parents are buying us a home. It’s just a little two-bedroom. I’m so grateful, but knowing how many displaced people there still are, it’s hard to feel excited about it.”

Bolin’s hand finds Opal's under the table and squeezes. 

Asami perks up. “That reminds me, the renovations are almost done at my old home. We should be moving people in as soon as next week.”

“That’s great, but it seems so soon?” Pema asks. 

“We’re not waiting for all the units to be ready. The plan is to occupy them as they are finished. It does mean living with a bit of noise for a while, but I’m hoping the citizens living there will find it a worthwhile trade-off.”

Tenzin nods, and his hand absently finds his beard. “The numbers at the shelters are going down more and more each day. Those who have come back to provide feedback have been appreciative, but the sentiment is there is no place like home.”

Asami smiles. “There really isn’t.”

“I don’t mean to press a sore spot, but are you sure you're okay with giving up your family home?” Tenzin asks.

Asami wipes the corners of her lips with her napkin, considering the question. She was surprised to find no pangs of longing or sadness, but then she looked around the table and knew why. “You know, I think back to when I first came to live here after my father basically disowned me. Here with you all, and the kindness and comradery we shared, felt more like home than those big empty rooms and halls I grew up in. Coming here for Sunday dinners while Korra was gone felt like coming to see my family once a week. I survived the heartache of that time because of all of you. And now that Korra has moved in with me, the apartment I rented to get away from bad memories doesn’t feel like an escape anymore, but home.”

Korra moves her hand to cover Asami’s and squeezes it. Asami returns the gesture. She hears a snuffling noise and sees it coming from Mako.

Asami feels her stomach drop. “Mako, why are you crying?”

“That was really touching,” Mako says gruffly, his face betraying him. “I felt the same way about the Sunday dinner’s Pema.”

Pema holds a hand to her chest and nod.

Bolin rubs Mako’s shoulder. “You’re just a big pile of mush at your core, aren’t you, bro?”

Asami steals a worried glance at Korra. Korra grins and shakes her head. “We’re good. He and I had a really good talk in Ba Sing Se,” she whispers. 

Pema stands up from the table and collects some of the plates closest to her. She is a bit relieved Mako took any potential attention off herself because she had felt tears welling up in her own eyes. She carries the dishes into the kitchen and dumps them into the wash basin. 

Ikki appears from behind the flaps over the door with an armful of dishes. “Got some more for you.”

Pema puts on a smile and steps out of the way of the sink, so Ikki can make her drop off.

“I’ll go get some more,” her daughter chirps.

“Ikki, wait.” 

Ikki stops at the door and turns around. “Yeah?”

Pema panics, unsure of what she intends to say to her daughter. Ikki cocks her head curiously as she waits. Everything she was thinking and feeling about her eleven-year-old was all hypothetical. Was she overthinking this?

“Mom, is everything okay?”

“Yes, sorry,” Pema bends down to be closer to Ikki’s height. She was slightly startled to realize she didn’t need to go as low as she used to. “I just want you to know that if someday you meet someone that you love as Asami and Korra do or like Bolin and Opal, your father and I will be so happy for you, what we want that for you and your brothers and sister to be with a person who makes you feel loved and happy. Bender or nonbender, man or woman, that doesn’t matter to us, okay?”

Ikki shrinks a little, embarrassed by how direct her mother is being with her. She can’t help but wonder how her mother knows. 

“This isn’t about anything you’ve done or said. This is just something I want you to know, okay?” Pema touches a hand to her chest. “This is just me letting you know how I feel.”

“Okay,”

“Why don’t you grab some more dishes so we can make some room on the table for dessert.”

Pema straightens back up and watches her daughter move to leave. Ikki stops at the door frame and then swiftly turns around. She wraps her arms around her mother’s waist and presses her cheek into her soft middle. Before Pema has time to react, Ikki is scurrying out the door.

***

Shiro Shinobu is perched on an outside balcony in the front of the Pro Bending area, giving him a perfect bird’s eye view of the red carpet lined entrance. A small crowd has gathered out front, and it’s continuing to grow as passers-by notice the commotion. 

He spies Chief Lin Beifong directing her staff to patrol the perimeter of the area and others to stay out front for crowd control. He is amazed at how much voices carry. 

His producer suddenly appears on the balcony with him. “Are you ready to start rolling?”

Shiro nods. 

“Great. I have Qiong He set up to snag interviews.”

Shiro glances below and spies the woman in question standing right before the steps of the area. Qiong He is in her late fifties, an old opera house singer turned event personality. They had co-hosted a few events together recently for President Raiko. 

“Radio me if there is someone you want to hear from. Here’s a list of the key players who should be here tonight.” The producer hands Shiro a stack of note cards with names and pictures on them.

“We have any idea what this mover is about yet?”

His producer shrugs. “A marketing ploy.” He then leans down and holds a hand as if he were telling a secret. “My money’s on another Nuktuk.”

The noise from the crowd starts to get louder, signaling to the men a vehicle must be arriving. 

Shiro grabs for his microphone and switches it on. He licks his lips a few times as he leans toward the mouthpiece. 

“Shiro Shinobu here, reporting out front of the Pro Bending Area for an exciting mover premier! Republic City’s sweetheart Bolin has come out of retirement to star in an all-new mystery mover. Bolin has been very hush-hush about the whole project but says it’s a mover you cannot miss. After tonight’s premiere, it will be screening at the arena every Friday and Saturday evening this month at seven pm, so don’t forget to buy your tickets, folks! It looks like the first Satomobile has arrived!” Shiro says gleefully as a sleek-looking black vehicle rolls into view and stops at the red carpet. 

Shey steps out of the Satomobile first. She’s wearing a fitted deep red, almost blacking-looking velvet suit. Her hair is greased back in her usual fashion, with a little bit of a bouffant. She reaches a hand back for Izzi and then Lan. The other women are wearing similar tight black dresses with their hair done up with sticks. 

“I believe this is the production crew. The dapper-looking fella is Shey, the director. Lan is the cinematographer, and Izzi is assistant to them both.”

The crackle of the radio at his side startles Shiro. He brings the receiver to his ear. “I apologize. That director is a  miss  Shey. Sorry, it can be a little hard to tell from this vantage.”

A blue Satomobile replaces the black before it. Asami, Ikki, Korra, and Zhou Rhen exit and regroup at the beginning of the carpet. Asami and Ikki wear matching black pantsuits with a white carnation pinned to their breast pockets. Korra is also sporting a new outfit, still in the tradition of her tribe, a deep blue sleeveless dress with two long pieces in the front and back and long slits up the sides. White fur lines her lapel and around the back of her neck. Underneath, she wore dark blue stockings and dark brown fur boots with a bit of heel on her feet. 

“And here we have Avatar Korra and Asami Sato making their first public appearance since their relationship announcement. Let’s get a word.”

Hearing Shiro on her radio, Qiong He darks out with her microphone. “Avatar Korra, Asami Sato, is this your first big night out as a couple?”

Asami sheepishly looks to Korra, then down at Ikki. “I’m actually miss Ikki’s date tonight,” she reaches for Ikki’s hand and walks them a few steps from Korra and Zhou Rhen to show off their matching outfit. “She’s one of the stars of the movers.” Ikki blushes and nods. 

The four watch in bemusement as Qiong He tries to process the information they gave her. Qiong He eventually recovers and holds her microphone out to Korra. “And this man?”

“Not my date,” Korra answers quickly. “Just a friend.” 

Zhou Rhen gives a little wave. 

“Oh, well, you all look fabulous tonight. Especially you two in the suits. Can you tell us the designer?” 

“Jimi Chu,” Asami says, posing like a model. Ikki awkwardly tries to replicate it. “Ready, Ikki?” 

Ikki nods and holds out her arm. Asami takes it and has them saunter up the stairs. Korra and Zhou Rhen amble up behind them.

“Well, there you have it,” Qiong He mumbles, signaling for Shiro to step back in.

A black Satomobile pulls up to the red carpet, its extra-long nose appearing first. The cab door opens, and Bolin, in an emerald tux, steps out first. Cheering explodes from the crowd. He takes Opal's hand, guiding her and her lighter green flowing dress onto the red carpet. 

“And here is the man of the hour, Bolin! With him is his fiance Opal Beifong, of the Zaofu Beifongs, but there is a relation, folks! I do believe our chief of police is here tonight but on duty.”

After Opal clears the vehicle, Jon Yuen and Xaiver step out. The two lumbering men comically tower over Bolin and Opal. 

“Accompanying Bolin is co-star and newcomer Jon Yuen. My notes here say he was discovered working at the hospital. Well, it's good to know if anyone has an emergency tonight; we have a medical professional in the building. Not sure who the other big fella is. Qiong He, what’s the word on the ground?”

Qiong He steps up to the four and gives them a little wave. “Bolin, so happy to see you back in the limelight. Can you tell us anything about this mover?”

Bolin takes Opal’s arm and approaches the microphone. “I really can’t say too much, but at its core, it’s a love story.”

Qiong He smiles, but as she thinks, it begins to fade. “The main cast is here all here now, right?”

Bolin nods and starts to lead Opal to the door. Opal puts her free hand to her face to cover the budding smirk. 

“But, who’s your love interest then?” 

Bolin turns back to flash her a grin and then scurries inside. Qiong He continues to hold out her mic as she watches them disappear. 

Jon Yeun nods to Qiong He as he passes her by, side-stepping to avoid the outstretched microphone. Xavier grabs his boyfriend's hand, flits his fingers at Qiong He, and giggles. 

“Well, I guess we’ll just have to see the mover for ourselves, back to you, Shiro.”

Shiro Shinobu looks to his producer. The man seems as perplexed as Shiro feels. 

“This is Bolin we’re talking about,” the producer starts, shoving his hands into his pockets. “Nuktuk, defender of the south. A man’s, man. I’m sure of those gals with the director is his new sweetheart. Wrap this up so we can watch the mover and see what it’s all about.”

Shiro nods and brings his microphone to his mouth. “Alright, folks, it’s about that time, so I must be going. Tune in tomorrow at three for my full review of this exciting new mover.”

***

The entrance hall of the pro-bending stadium was beginning to get crowded as the specially invited guests for the premier started to filter in. The interest in snacks and beverages was picking up, and a small crowd began to form around the concession stand.

Korra, Asami, and Ikki stood to the side, waiting for the rest of their group to arrive. Zhou Rhen excused himself to get a drink. 

Ikki spies Shey by the doors to the auditorium and waves. Shey returns the gesture, and the young skips over to her.

“Is that her?” Korra asks, motioning in the direction Ikki dashed off to.

Asami closes her eyes. The moment she had been dreading for quite some time has finally arrived. She tried to take comfort in the fact that she and Shey had already spoken and hopefully made their peace.

“Ah, looks like Ikki has saved us,” Korra mutters as Ikki guides Shey away towards her parents, who were just clearing the entrance door. Shey awkwardly bows once she’s standing in their presence. 

“It’s going to happen at some point. We just have to rip off that bandage, and hopefully, the air will be clear between us.” Asami reaches out and begins to adjust Korra’s hair. It looked fine. Asami just wanted an excuse to pet her girlfriend. 

“Ikki seems to like her,” Korra mutters as she accepts the attention. She leans her head into Asami’s touch. 

“Ikki is showing a talent for collecting role models of a certain persuasion.”

Korra stiffens. “Oh no, Shey’s coming over here.”

Asami had her back to Shey’s direction. She drops Korra’s hair and turns around. Shey, with her hands tucked in her pockets sheepishly, walks towards them. 

Asami gives her a little wave. 

Shey pulls out her right hand and runs it through her slicked-back hair. “I wanted to thank you both for coming tonight. I've also been meaning to introduce myself formally.” She holds out her hand to Korra. “Avatar Korra, it is an honor.”

Asami nervously watches as her current, and previous girlfriend's hands connect in a very firm-looking handshake. 

“I’ve been meaning to thank you and your crew. I heard you were instrumental in saving my butt that day,” Korra says, flashing her million yuan smile.

Shey’s cheeks pinkened, even she was not immune to Korra’s allure. “It was nothing.”

Korra releases Shey’s hand, but Shey is slower to let go back. Asami clears her throat. 

“Really looking forward to seeing what this mover our Ikki won’t stop talking about.”

Shey brightens at her protege’s name. “I don’t know where Bolin found her, I mean, I do, but it’s just what you say." She giggles nervously, then recovers. "Ikki, she’s got the makings of-” 

Before Shey can finish her sentence, Xaivner cuts her off with his booming voice.

“AVATAR KORRA!” 

The three women turn around and see Xaiver barrelling toward them with freshly bleached blonde hair and a new tux. 

“You’re standing!?” Xavier screeches as he envelops Korra in his arms. The usually swole seeming Avatar looked like a toothpick next to the nurse. He hoists Korra into the air and gives her a few more squeezes before resting her back on the ground. 

Korra’s hair and outfit are a bit disheveled from the contact. She attempts to fix her clothes but figures she can have Asami sort her out later. “I am. I found this amazing bone healer in Ba Sing Se.”

“Intriguing! You’ll have to tell me all about the process,” Xavier starts walking Korra away. “Are you sitting near me and Jon Yuen? If not, I’m making it happen.” 

“Like night and day, he and his partner,” Shey chuckles. “You should probably follow after them, or you won’t be sitting next to your girlfriend.”

Asami’s stomach jumps, but when she looks at Shey, she can see it’s alright. “You’re probably right.” Asami starts to leave, then stops herself. “I’m so proud of you, finally getting to tell a story that means something to you.”

Shey runs her fingers through her hair and blushes. Asami gives a little bow and follows after Korra and Xaiver.

Shey watches her leave. She takes a deep breath and is about to let it out as a release of tension when Lan slaps her hard on the shoulder. Her breath sputters out like she is choking.

“So you know how Bolin has a brother Mako, right?” Lan starts excitedly.

Shey coughs a few times to correct her breathing. “Yeah.”

“Well, I think I’ve found my new crush! And he’s single!”

“He’s a cop.”

Lan slaps Shey’s shoulder again. "Mako's a team Avatar guy. What more vouching do you need?”

“I guess,” Shey dares a glance in the direction Mako, Bolin, and Izzi are standing. Izzie catches Shey’s eye and holds up her pointer finger. “Do you actually like him, or are you settling for him because he’s Bolin’s brother.”

“I don’t know yet. I just met him tonight.”

Izzi excuses herself from the two men and scurries over to her colleagues. “Lan, way to leave me hanging over there.” 

“Sorry, I need to gush about Mako!”

“It’s our big premiere, and you’re focused on him?” Izzi says in a harsh whisper.

Shey puts a hand on both Izzi and Lan’s shoulders and shakes them. “Izzi’s right. It’s our big night. Let’s soak up this moment.”

The three women look around the packed atrium and feel pride swell in their chests. The crowd was full of Republic City’s most influential people. They could sense the excitement around Bolin's return to acting and the mystery of what the mover was about. 

The lights began to dim and then brighten, signaling the five-minute warning.

“C’mon, it’s time we go introduce the world to our blood, sweat, and tears,” Izzi remarks, locking an arm with the two other women. “It’s our big night. Let’s savor it!”

***

The lights of the arena dim as a large projector screen descends. The room beings to clap as a projected image of City Streets Productions logo holds for a few moments, and then the mover begins: 

A commotion gathers outside a large apartment building, in the middle of an urban landscape not unlike Republic City. Police vehicle's lights flash out front, lighting up the darkness outside. Many residents have gathered outside to witness the action, dressed in bathrobes and house coats, not caring if their slippers get dirty from the street. 

Officers raise a spotlight to a window on the eighth floor. A body hangs limply out the broken window. The crowd shrieks as they get a better look at the gruesome scene. 

An unmarked black Satomoble pulls up and parks. Jon Yuen steps out of the vehicle. His black hair is slicked back, and he is wearing sunglasses, almost too small for his cinderblock of a head. When he is challenged by one of the police officers, Jon Yuen reaches into the inside breast pocket of his black jacket and pulls out a badge.

“Pardon, detective,” the officer mumbles, stepping out of the way. 

Jon Yuen lumbers past the man and moves up the steps of the building. Inside are officers posted up by the elevators, guiding confused or curious residents outside. 

Again, Jon Yuen flashes his badge, and he is granted access to the elevators. He stops at the eighth floor. It's clear where the incident was; all other doors were shut except one at the hall's end.

Jon Yuen swiftly moves to the apartment. No one is watching the door. Inside are a few officers milling about taking pictures or looking around for clues. 

“You morons, this is a crime scene,” Jon Yuen barks. The officers flinch and hurry to the entrance. “Secure the area outside and bring up some evidence bags and the coroner.”

“Sir,” they mutter as they exit the room. 

Jon Yuen lets out a long breath once he is alone. He surveys the foyer and living room of the apartment. Clearly, there was a struggle; the place was a mess. At the end of the room was the broken window. A man’s body hung suspended between the inside and outside of the apartment. To the body's left, in a lounging chair, lay a limp woman’s body. It almost appeared she had only fainted, but as he stepped closer, he could see the mark from a garrote shredding her delicate neck. 

“Hello? Lao Gong?” Bolin calls out, peeking into the apartment. 

The audience begins to hoot and clap for their favorite actor. 

"I went to the station to meet you, but you weren't there."

"Duty calls, as you can see."

Bolin awkwardly steps into the room, dodging the debris on the floor. He holds out a hand to Jon Yeun. "Yang Lee. Your new partner."

Jon Yuen scowls at the offering. “You ever worked a real crime scene before?”

“Only twice. I just moved up from a much smaller town.”

“Why?”

“I want to solve crimes. So I moved to a city that actually has them,” Bolin reaches into his pocket and pulls out a pair of rubber gloves. “So, am I examining the man or the woman?”

“Neither.” Jon Yeun stands between Bolin and the two corpses. “Check the other rooms for any evidence.”

“Do you think there are any other victims?”

“I was briefed that there were only two.”

Bolin deflates but does as he is told. He leaves the living room to walk down a narrow hallway. At the end are two bedrooms, one on either side. He peeks into the one to his left, and it's clearly the master. A large oak bed takes up most of the room. Bolin moves to the room to his right. He can tell right away it’s a child’s. There is a small twin bed in the corner covered in plush animals. Some other toys are strewn around the room, a little rougher than a child might. 

Bolin steps into the room and stalks around, checking under the bed and behind a dresser. He spies a small closet. The door is ajar, and clothes and toys spill out onto the floor. He opens the door and peers in at the mess. Bolin reaches to his belt, clips off his flashlight, and shines it into the mess. In the way back rests a few large stuffed animals. Their glossy eyes absently peer back. Bolin is about ready to leave, but something seems off, so he darts his light back to the plushies and notices Ikki huddled up with them. Realizing she’s caught, Ikki squeals and dives into the toys. 

“Hey!” Bolin shrieks. He crouches and holds out a hand. “It’s okay.” When Ikki doesn’t budge, Bolin gets down on his knees and crawls into the closet. He picks up one stuffed animal and holds it over his face. 

“Don’t be scared. I’m here to help!” Bolin says in as high a pitch he can muster.

Ikki peeks out from her toy pile.

“Mr. Otter Penguin is a boy.”

Bolin’s face softens. He clears his throat dramatically. He deepens his voice. “It is I, Mr. Otter Penguin. I’m feeling a bit forgetful. Could you remind me what your name is, little girl”

Ikki rubs the side of her palm clumsily at her cheek, wiping away a few tears. “Chieko.”

***

Following the chaos of the furniture and broken glass, Jon Yuen tries to reenact the struggle that could have happened to the couple. Jon Yuen pretends to be one of the assailants. He mimes kicking the door open and charges into the room. Turning to his left, he spies Bolin and a young girl curled in his arms. Right away, he understands what he's found.

“Take her to the station. I’ll meet you there.”

Bolin nods and angles his body so Ikki can’t see any of the carnage behind them. 

When they make it to the street, Bolin places Ikki on the ground to walk on her own and takes her hand. They push through the crowd that has gathered out in front of the building in search of a police vehicle he could borrow. 

A bolt of lightning suddenly cracks from the crowd. Onlookers scream and scatter. The police officers move to the center, in front of the steps to the apartment building. They form a small circle, ready for the attack. 

Bolin pulls Ikki into an ally for cover. He glances at his colleagues and feels a moment of relief that they can take on the attacker. He holds Ikki close and breath’s a sigh of relief. 

The radio on his hip crackles, and Jon Yuen’s voice comes through. “What’s going on down there?”

Bolin brings the receiver to his lips. “A lightning bender is making a commotion. The team down here, I think has it handled. We’re taking cover in the alley.”

As he speaks, a bolt of lightning illuminates the dark ally. It zips and cracks past the two, so close the electricity makes their hair rise. 

“They’re coming after us!” 

“I’m coming down!” Jon Yuen barks back into the radio. 

Bolin clutches Ikki and creeps them towards a mound of crates stacked nearby. They make it just in time to shield themselves from another attack. 

The screech of tires alerts Bolin to look down the other side of the alley. He sees a police vehicle. Jon Yuen leans out the window.

“C’mon!”

Bolin scoops up Ikki and makes a mad dash for the cruiser. He shifts Ikki in his arms to open the door. Lightening near licks his heels as he dives into the back. 

Jon Yuen peels out and drives them away from the attack. A man appears behind them, but they move too fast for Bolin to get a good look.

“What happened back there?” Jon Yuen shouts.

“I’m not entirely sure. There was what seemed like a general attack on the crowd, but then they clearly targeted it at Chieko and me."

“The girl?”

Bolin nods, squeezing her close. 

“Likely trying to finish the job.”

“We shouldn’t go to the station. They’ll be expecting that.” Bolin rubs his chin and thinks for a moment. “Take a right here. We’ll go to my apartment.”

Bolin carries Ikki into the small apartment, and Jon Yeun trails behind them. There wasn’t much inside, but everything was clearly sentimental to Yang Lee. Jon Yuen looks around as Bolin places Ikki in his bed. He closes the door and joins Jon Yeun.

“I think she’ll nap.”

Jon Yuen nods. “Someone wants that whole family dead. We need to figure out who that person is and why. The girl might be able to provide us with some information.”

“Not today. I don’t even know if she knows what’s happened.” Bolin sits on his couch and gestures to the spot beside him. “Take a load off?”

Jon Yeun moves closer to a wall and leans against it.

“So, we didn’t really get a chance to get acquainted properly,” Bolin starts nervously. He looks to Jon Yuen but gets little expression. “Want something to drink?” Bolin gets up from his seat and dashes into the kitchen, not waiting for a response. 

“Where is your phone? I need to call Chief Bayong.”

“In the hall by the elevator. Only a communal phone,” Bolin shouts from the kitchen.”

Jon Yuen is gone when Bolin returns to the living room with a couple of glasses of iced tea. He places the one for Jon Yeun on his coffee table near the chair next to the sofa, hoping this will entice him to sit down. 

The front door opens, and Jon Yuen slides inside. He turns around to look down the hall in both directions to ensure he is not being followed.

“So, what are our orders?”

Jon Yuen takes the glass and returns to leaning against the wall. “He wants us to lay low and keep an eye on the kid. He thinks the crime scene is too hot for us to return to right now. Said to call back in the morning for further instructions.”

“Guess I better order us some take out. Do you like Chang’s Noodle house? They’re always leaving flyers in my building. Everyone’s been telling me they are delicious.” Bolin gets up from his seat and ambles to his small table by the door. He recalled stashing a menu there recently.

“We can’t order from there. It’s owned and operated by the Chang family mob. This execution may even be their work."

“Oh.” Bolin wilts and tosses the menu on the table. “Is this widely known?”

“The Chang family has done a lot to make the public think they have retired from their mafia work and turned over a new leaf to focus on their restaurant after the patriarch Big Chin died. You can see the son Little Chin working in the restaurant sometimes as a front.”

“Got any other suggestions? I may have mentioned I’m new in town.” 

“There is one place,” Jon Yuen murmurs, walking to the front door again. 

Bolin waits, thinking he was just gone to make a phone call, but he is gone much longer. Twenty minutes had passed, and Bolin was about to go looking for him when Jon Yuen opened the door, a bag tucked under his arm. 

“It's so close. I figured it’d be easier to pick up.”

Bolin takes the bag and brings it to his kitchen table. He reads the bag. “Colonel Chao’s Chicken.”

“It was my partner’s favorite,” Jon Yuen answers. His eyes widen at the admission, and he looks to the ground. 

“Chief told me what happened

Jon Yuen nods and keys his eyes on the floor. 

Bolin starts plating the food. “My partner, I’m sure he couldn’t wait for me to leave. Not much to do in our small town, so I’d talk his ear off.” 

“Hello?” Ikki’s small voice calls out. The two men glance into the living room and see a sleepy Ikki shuffling toward them. “Is it time to go home?”

Bolin and Jon Yuen share a bewildered look. Bolin grabs one of the prepped plates and scurries to Ikki’s side.

“We’re actually having a sleepover tonight. And look, Uncle Lao Gong brought us.” Bolin holds up the takeout bag and jiggles it.

“Colonel Chao’s is my favorite!”

 

***

As the mover continues, Shey starts to get anxious. They were almost at the intermission. It was longer than any drabble Varrick produced and required two reels to contain it all. When editing, Lan suggested they hold off on any clear implications of romance between Yang Lee and Lao Gong until the second half. If people were upset by it, they'd leave at intermission and not spend enough time with the boys to hopefully change their minds.

In the mover, it had been a week of her two detectives tracking down the killer of Chieko’s parents. During that time, they played house at Bolin’s apartment. As they got closer to the killers, they got closer to each other. 

It’s raining hard as Lao Gong and Yang Lee struggle to escape the lightning bender assassin. They had tracked him down to his secret hideout but got discovered. The assassin moves to strike Yang Lee, but Lao Gong puts his body in harm's way to protect him. 

Yang Lee cracks his retracting metal whip to a stack of crates and topples it on the lightning bender. He grabs Lao Gong at his side and leads him to a nearby alley to re-group as they settle on the wet ground. The title card flashes announcing the fifteen-minute intermission. The room lights flicker on, and people begin to get up. The three filmmakers sat in the back and got a full view of their audience. 

“Shey!” 

She turns her head down the aisle to her left at the call of her name. Bolin is grinning at her. He gives her two thumbs up, and she gives him one back. Bolin then waves and makes his way out to the atrium. Not that he’d get far. Shey could safely assume her famous lead would be swarmed.

“Let’s get a drink, shall we?” Lan announces, shooting from her seat to Shey’s left.

A hand on Shey’s arm on the other side of her stops her from standing.

“It’s going to be fine,” Izzi whispers. “The mover is so good. We’re definitely going to change some minds and hearts tonight.”

Shey smiles and nods. “You’re right.” She lets Izzi pass her, then trails behind her two colleagues.

***

The intermission concludes, and the lights dim. The mover resumes with Bolin and Jon Yuen in the alley. The rain hasn’t let up, but they are no longer in danger. Bolin pulls a handkerchief from his back pocket and uses it to wrap Jon Yuen’s arm wound. 

“This should keep it clean till we get back to my place.”

“Yang Lee, there is something you should know,” Jon Yuen gasps, clutching his freshly dressed arm. “My last partner… he was more than that to me.”

Bolin’s face softens. “Did he know?”

Jon Yuen bows his head. “I never found the courage to tell him. He died in my arms, but even then….”

 “You’re brave for admitting it now.” Bolin reaches for Jon Yuen’s un-injured arm. “You know, there was another reason I left my small town… I figured there might be more people like me in a big city.”

Jon Yuen’s eyes widen as he metabolizes what Bolin is confessing to.

“C’mon, that little girl is waiting for us to come home,” Bolin says as he rises from the ground. He holds out a hand, and Jon Yuen accepts the hoist up.

“We have to bring her justice. We have to," Jon Yuen says between strained breaths. 

Bolin squeezes Jon Yuen’s hand before letting it go. “We will. But first, we got to treat your wounds.”

They make their way to the other side. The rain drops lessen, and a little bit of the moon peeks out from the clouds. Jon Yuen stops and leans against a building wall. His pale skin glows in the soft light, glistening with raindrops. 

“I just need a minute,” Jon Yuen whispers.  

Bolin rests against the wall beside him and looks up. The dark clouds drift and morph quite quickly as the storm blows south. The clear pocket of the sky around the moon grows larger. A few stars twinkle from the blackness. 

Bolin dares a glance at Jon Yuen. His features look strained from pain, but his eyes are soft and searching. 

Bolin pushes off from the wall and steps in front of Jon Yuen. He raises his hand to Jon Yeun's cheek and brushes the back of it against his square jaw. 

Jon Yuen slaps the hand of his uninjured arm on Bolin’s shoulder and clenches his fingers tight around the fabric of his jacket. Bolin, startled, stops caressing and begins to lean away. Jon Yeun tightens his grip and brings Bolin’s face to his. They hold for a moment, their hot breaths steaming in the cold night air. Finally, Bolin closes the gap, and their lips crash together. 

“Holy Badgermoles!” Opal screeches excitedly, blindly grasping onto Bolin’s suit jacket. 

“Opal!” Bolin whines. 

***

Bolin, Jon Yuen, and Ikki stand out in front of the police station. A few of their fellow officers pat them on the back or bend down to acknowledge the young girl with them. Ikki shyly clings to Bolin’s side, Mr. Otter-peguin protectively tucked under her arm. 

“Shall we head home?” Bolin asks with a big grin.

Jon Yuen gives a little nod and smiles. 

Ikki grabs Bolin’s hand and then Jon Yuen’s as they walk away. 

“Can we have General Chao’s Chicken for dinner?”

The trio becomes silhouettes as they move farther away from the screen, and eventually, it all goes black.

The room is quiet until Korra jumps from her seat and claps loudly. She lets out a whoops as well. Asami and Ikki rise and join her. Soon the rest of the room is applauding. 

Out in front of the arena was chaos. The mover stars and crew are engulfed by audience members who want to talk to them or get an autograph. Shiro Shinobu comments on the action outside the area while Qiong He fights her way to get a microphone to one of the group's lips. 

Korra, Asami, Opal, Jinora, Zhou Rhen, and Xaiver watch the scene from the sidelines. 

“Technically, we could leave,” Korra says, nudging Asami. “Ikki knows where we live.”

“We’re responsible for her tonight. We’re not leaving.”

Opal glances around and sees Pema and Tenzin chatting with President Raiko. “Not her parents?”

“We’re having her over for a celebratory sleepover." Asami playfully nudges Jinora. "The invitation is still open, by the way, Jinora.”

“Another time. It’s her night," Jinora replies with a little shrug.

“You’re not coming out with us?” Opal whines. “Who am I supposed to talk to? Bolin’s going to be schmoozing all night with fans.” 

“I’ll be your date,” Xavier offers. 

Opal grins. “Yes, please. And you even understand what I’m going through.” She reaches out and takes Xaiver’s massive hand. “We can gush to each other how sexy our guys were in that mover!”

Xavier squeezes her hand. "Oh, my goodness, can we talk about that kiss?"

“On that note, I’m going to catch up with my parents before they leave,” Jionra says, pointing in their direction. She waves to the group and turns away.

“I think I might dip out as well. Shouldn’t have too much fun in one night," Zhou Rhen says before scurrying after Jinora. 

Opal purses her lips. “Pathetic, the lot of you.” She waves her hand and the remaining members of her group.

Asami smiles sweetly. “We’ll live it up at your wedding.”

“You better,” Opal warns. She tugs on Xaiver’s arm to get him to follow her. She starts to march into the crowd. “Let’s muscle our way in so we can hopefully get outta here soon.”

“Yes, Mame!” Xavier giggles.

Asami slides an arm onto Korra’s shoulder and around her neck. She pulls her girlfriend closer and rests her chin on the top of her head. “Sure you don’t want to go party with them?”

Korra eyes Bolin in the crowd. Audience members, and likely some people who have been waiting all night for him to come out, pass him pictures and advertisements for the mover to sign. As quickly as he returns, one another eagerly replaces it. 

“Naw, I’d rather spend it with you two.”

***

A warm feeling spread over Korra throughout the night as she, Asami, and Ikki painted each other's toes, played games, and ate a whole box of red bean paste mochi. It wasn't as exciting as a night at a bar with friends; just a quiet evening made up of simple pleasures. 

How Asami so sweetly and playfully interacted with Ikki was mesmerizing to her. 

The three of them were now curled up on the couch together, with Asami in the middle. One of the woven blankets from her mother's trunk splayed across their laps. 

Asami slyly pulled a book out to read aloud. “A little romance novel I may have picked up from the store.”

“Between two girls?” Ikki squeaks, hopefully. 

Asami winks at Ikki. “I first read it a couple of years ago. Nothing inappropriate.” She catches Korra’s eye, the assurance more for her sake. “Just sweet.”

“Eee! I can’t wait!”

“I’ll start it tonight, and then you can take it home to ead the rest on your own.”

“Really?!” Ikki asks, her pitch high with excitement. 

“And keep it. Congratulations on your big night.”

Korra starts clapping. Asami joins with some softer ones. 

“Thank you.”

"I think you're really going to enjoy it." Asami flips the book open, thumbs to the first page, and begins to read. Ikki snuggles into the blanket and watches. 

As Asami reads about the two girls meeting for the first time, she steals a peek at Korra to her left. She pinkens when she sees Korra intently watching. Asami’s eyes dart back to the pages. 

Korra snuggles into the blanket, pulling it right below her chin. She closes her eyes and wonders how it's even possible that she's falling more in love with Asami.

 

To be continued…

 

Notes:

I do want to acknowledge I have read the Kyoshi novels and they are part of the cannon on this story.

Chapter 52: A Wedding And A Mover Part 2

Notes:

Thank you all for your patience.

Chapter Text

Jinora had been waiting in the gazebo for Korra for quite some time. The gentle lapping of the waves against the rocks below had a lulling effect that made her often forget how much time had passed. Only the ascension of the sun kept pace. A combination of fuchsia and amber, pinkening a few wisps of cloud hovering above the horizon. A red dawn, a bad omen Uncle Bumi would mutter if he was with her. Jinora was curious why sailors were such superstitious people. Was it the boredom, or did the mind play tricks on you when there was nothing but endless water to look at? She found the crimson morning sky beautiful.

Jinora wasn’t technically waiting for Korra until about dawn. She arrived hours ago because she couldn’t sleep. A letter arrived for her yesterday from Kai. Her father had absent-mindedly stashed it in his pocket after accepting it, only to remember to give it to her after dinner. Jinora now had it in her own pocket. She patted the outline through her fabric absentmindedly. 

Korra was now officially late. The sun is halfway through its journey to the top of the sky. The temple bustled with activity, and Jinora regretted not going to breakfast because if Korra showed up now, they wouldn’t be back from the Spirit World, likely till lunch or even after that. It’s not that Jinora couldn’t fast, she was an Air Master, but it did make meditating more difficult. Her father would tell her to focus on the empty pangs of hunger. Her father also couldn’t meditate into the Spirit World until a few years ago, so maybe needless self-torture wasn’t the best meditative aid. 

Jinora steps out of the gazebo and heads towards the temple to get a little something from the kitchen. If Korra was this late, she had better have already eaten. She passes by Zhou Rhen, sitting in the courtyard, hunched over his notebook. This is how she saw him most of the time. He was feverishly drafting his report before the wedding and planned departure to the White Lotus the following day. Zhou Rhen was going to let her read it. He stressed he wanted to do right by Korra and wanted her to make sure he interpreted all events with Korra’s feelings in mind. Jinora, of course, isn’t a mind reader, but she’s always felt she had a pretty good understanding of Korra, except lately. 

“I thought you were supposed to be with Korra this morning,” Pema chirps as Jinora enters the kitchen. 

“Korra has been completely unfocused since she got back from Ba Sing Se,” Jinora moans to her mother as she sneaks a pastry from the kitchen counter. She takes a few steps back and leans against the wall to nibble at the flaky bread puff. “And now that she doesn’t live here, I’m stuck waiting around, wondering when she will show up.”

Pema snickers as her daughter bemoans her situation. She turns her attention back to her food preparation; A bowl of dough balls, a bowl of roasted and chopped vegetables, and a small rolling pin. She plops a dollop of dough on the counter and begins to roll it out into a circle. She then spoons a serving of vegetables in the center. She folds it in half and starts to pinch at the edges. “I think Korra might be in what people call ‘the honeymoon phase.”

“But they didn’t get married,” Jinora snorts. “Korra acted like a puppy when they first got together, then mellowed out. She’s regressed and seems somehow worse now.”

Pema ladles more veggies onto a new flat dough circle. “Moving in together can have a similar effect.”

“I feel like I’m the only one taking the anomalies in the Spirit World seriously anymore. Everyone else is too focused on this one.”

Pema releases her rolling pin and turns around to face her daughter. “I think your grandfather would be very proud of your dedication to the Spirit World. I think it takes a special person to care about that place.”

Jinora wraps her arms around herself. “You’re just saying this to make me feel better.”

“I’m serious. And if what you say is true, all the better you remain vigilant in your monitoring of the Spirit World. A time may come when your expertise is greatly needed.”

“Maybe.”

“Jinora!” Korra’s voice calls out from down the hall.

Pema turns back to her dumplings. “There she is,” Pema says with a wink. 

No sooner mentioned, Korra appears in the door frame. “Did I miss breakfast?”

Jinora furrows her brow. “Yes.”

“There are a few pastry’s on the counter by Jinora, but only take one. It’s almost lunchtime!”

Korra spies them and helps herself to the biggest. She shoves half in her mouth in one bite. “Ready, Jinora?”

 

***

An hour or so earlier… 

Korra’s eyes follow Asami’s porcelain form as she slips from their bed. She collects a slinky red robe from the chair by her vanity and slides her arms through the sleeves. She ties it closed as she heads to the bathroom. 

Once out of sight, Korra flops onto her back and starfishes on the mattress. Her eyes absently roam over the ceiling as she recalls the night they shared. Since moving in, things between her and Asami have heated up. She feels thirsty in a way she can’t ever get enough. She wishes to show Asami her love in every way possible as much as she can. Korra would have been scared had it not made her feel so good, like something wild and restless inside her was finally being tamed. 

After moments, Asami reenters the room and starts towards her closet.

“Don’t get dressed,” Korra whispers.

Asami stops reaching for the closet door and turns around. Korra is now sitting up in bed. Her chest completely bare, and the blankets pooled carelessly in her lap, barely covering her torso.

“I’m not the only one who has someplace to be. You need to get ready to meet up with Jinora.”

Asami tries to muster a stern face, but as Korra slips out of bed and strides towards her, any resolve she has slipped away. Once in front of Asami, Korra scoops her arm around the back of her head to bring it down for a soft kiss. Unexpectedly so. Korra presses and drags her lips agonizingly soft and firm at the same time into Asami’s. Asami finds herself to be the one deepening it with her tongue. 

Asami didn’t notice when her robe slipped off, she should have felt a chill standing naked, but Korra’s warmth enveloped her. 

“Maybe,” Asami starts between breaths. “We can…” Korra’s lips leave hers and begin to explore her neck. “Be a little late.”

 

***

“Sorry I was late.” Korra jogs to keep up with Jinora. She stretches out her arms over her head and groans. “Beautiful day, though, don’t you think?”

“I guess,” Jinora mutters. It was a beautiful day, but it wasn’t penetrating the dark cloud she felt encased around herself. 

“So, where do you want to go today?”

“I was thinking we could go to the Wan Shi Tong Library. He’s not allowing humans in, but maybe he’d make an exception for you.”

“I’d love to see it. Though I’m learning more and more, I have minimal clout in the Spirit World.”

The girls assume the lotus position in the courtyard, just outside the gazebo, and their consciousness quickly passes to the Spirit World. Korra wakes up in Xai Bau’s Grove. Despite the bad memories, it had become one of the few places they could say the Tigerpillar hadn’t caught them. She waits a moment to sense Jinora. Since the younger girl had been there before, she could land her spirit right at the library. Jinora's energy will act as a fixture point for Korra to connect with and move herself to. After a few moments, she could feel Jinora and was surprised to find her energy quite dark. 

Korra could tell Jinora was a bit cross with her for being late but couldn't imagine it being the source of such negative energy. She closes her eyes and follows the trail of Jinroa’s spirit. When she arrives, Jinora stands beneath a large tree, looking at its branches. It appears there used to be a large structure there, an extensive section had depressed branches, but it was empty now. 

“He moved it again.”

“That must be quite the chore,” Korra grumbles, stepping beside the younger girl. She reaches out her hand to one of the tree’s massive roots and palms the bark. Her eyes close, and she searches for traces of the spirit. 

There is a flash of light behind Korra’s eyes, and the image of a giant black bird appears. He looms large over the small foxes at his feet. He waves his enormous wings in grand gestures as if telling a story to them. She couldn’t make out anything the beast was saying. It was like she was underwater. Everything was garbled, but it became clear for one moment Wan Shi Tong’s voice utters, “on the solstice.” 

Korra’s eyes shot open as she felt a hand on her shoulder. 

“Sorry, you were doing that for a very long time.”

“I could see Wan Shi Tong, I think. He's a monstrous bird spirit?”

“That’s him.”

Korra mimics Wan Shi Tong’s gestures. “He was talking to these foxes, and I could only hear one bit. He said ‘on the solstice.’” 

“That must have been when he wanted to move by. The solstices are a very spiritual time. But that’s typically because the Spirit World is technically closer to us then.”

Korra punches a fist into her other palm. It made a smacking sound. “He must have used that boost to move his library.

“And no mention of where to?”

Korra hops onto one of the tree's roots and looks up into the branches. “No, those were the only words I could hear.” She spies a vine dangling within her reach and jumps out to grab it. She uses it as an aid to climbing the trunk.

Jinora follows, jumping onto the branch, then climbs with the vines closely behind Korra. When they reach a large branch, they walk a little way along it. 

“So up here?” Korra looks around. “I think this would've been fine for hiding out. Doubt anyone would come up here.”

“There was another human, I think, using the library.” Jinoa thinks back to the last time at the library. She chased a fox for a while and spied a small desk. “They had an area reserved for a Yorru.”

Korra rubs at her chin. “I don’t know any Yorru’s.”

“When I went back again, Wan Shi Tong said he closed it all down for this Yorru.”

“Could be a spirit.”

“When I challenged Wan Shi Tong on closing it down, he didn’t correct me when I assumed another human.”

Korra takes a seat on the branch, crossing her legs and resting her chin on one of her hands. “Maybe they’re like Iroh. A human spirit. Maybe Iroh knows him?”

“It doesn’t even matter. The library’s gone, not that I could go in anyways. Something is happening here, but I can’t figure out what.”

“Perhaps it’s just changing.” Korra picks at some of the bark. A little bit chips off and blows off the end. “Everything changes with time. Perhaps even the Spirit World isn’t immune.”

“I got a letter from Kai.” Jinora reaches to touch the pocket at her hip but remembers the letter is still with her body and lets her hand fall lamely to her side. “It’s over.”

Korra scrunches her face. “What? Did I miss something?”

“We haven’t quite been getting along recently.”

“Is this about Kuvira?”

“A little.”

“He confronted us in The Earth Kingdom about getting left out of that secret, but we tried to explain why we had to keep the circle small.”

Jinora lets out a long sigh. “You didn’t do anything wrong. I could have told him when we first became aware. As his girlfriend, I maybe should have. I could have asked him to keep it a secret. I trust him. He wrote me a letter; he said we’re on different paths right now.” Jinora wipes her eyes with her sleeve. “He’s not wrong, but I don’t think it’s something we need to break up over.”

Korra sees Jinora’s arm move to her face and goes to her side. She puts an arm around her shoulder and tugs her closer. “You want to go home?”

Jinora nods. They close their eyes and slip back into their bodies. Jinora is startled to find she is crying in the physical world. She quickly dabs the tears with the sleeves of her wingsuit. 

“Can I read the letter?” Korra asks.

Jinora reaches into her pocket and passes it over. Korra slides the note out of the envelope and unfolds it. 

“Jinora, I feel my work in the earth kingdom is far from over. I know I can do the most good on the road, spending extended periods in each town. I think I will learn so much more out here. I know you can’t won’t join me. For the time being, I think it might be best if we take a break from things and just be friends. So we can both focus on what we want to achieve. Miss you, love Kai.”

Korra closes the letter. “I’m sorry, Jinora.”

The younger girl nods her head slightly.

“You never know. When he gets back, both of you might be in a better place and can revisit things. Sometimes you’ve met that right person, but it’s just not the right time.”

“What do I want to achieve? Do I really want to stay on the island for my entire life and become my father someday?”

“You don’t have to know the answer now, Jinora. You’re so young. I know that the life you have lived may make you feel old, trust me, but you’ve got so much more time to answer that question. More than you think.”

Korra and Jinora are about ready to get up and head to the main building when they spy Suyin Beifong and Wu casually walking toward them. Wu gives the girls a little wave.

Suyin clears her throat. “Korra, I hoped we could catch up on a little business before the wedding.” 

“We just want to keep some of the heavy stuff out of the Opal and Bolin’s big day, ya know?” Wu saunters closer and takes a seat next to Korra. 

“Mind if Jinora sticks around?” Korra asks, untucking her legs and stretching them out to sit more comfortably. 

“Not at all.”

At Suyin’s confirmation, Jinora relaxes into her own seated position. 

“How are things going at the palace and your campaign?”

Suyin sits down on the gazebo steps. “I’m feeling quite confident about my chances.”

“After the trial, a good number of people dropped out. I think they caught a glimpse of how messy things can get in Ba Sing Se.” Wu nudges Korra with his elbow. 

“And that Gao Ling guy?”

Suyin lets out a long breath. “Oh, he’s still running.”

“He’s running a nasty campaign." Wu fusses with his ascot. “Called me all sorts of unsavory things. Telling people, we’re going to make all their children queer. Dragging Bataar Jr. into conversations whenever possible.”

“He’s fear-mongering, and it’s working with some demographics,” Suyin grumbles.

“But you’re feeling confident about your chances,” Korea repeats.

Suyin waves a hand. “Yes, because most people are sane and want the circus that’s been going on in their government to stop. I’ve also built a good relationship with Serpent and the Dai Li. Collaboration and cooperation with the Dai Li is now a big part of my campaign.”

“Are you sure that’s wise? Can the Dai Li be trusted?” Korra asks. “Based on my experience, I can’t give the organization glowing reviews.”

“That was my aunts,” Wu bows his head. “May she rest in peace, abuse of their power.”

“The Dai Li have provided some important information to us. The organization had some major internal conflicts during Kuvira’s time. A splinter group broke off, and they have been unable to track them down or know exactly what they are up to.”

“Wu, when we were attacked leaving the palace, those were Dai Li, right?”

Wu nods. “Serpent confirmed they left to join the splinter group. Whether or not they were successful, he doesn't know.”

“But it was Serpent and his Dai Li that kidnapped Wu.” Korra gestures to the prince.

“Yes, he assured us it was his branch of the Dai Li and his alone who were involved in that plot.”

“Which was really just about getting back into power in some capacity in Ba Sing Se,” Jinora says, breaking her silence.

Wu and Suyin nod.

“So these other Dai Li, how concerned should we be?” Korra asks, cocking her head to one side.

“Serpent says they became disillusioned with the power structures and government after the fall of my aunt. Felt some of Zaheer’s logic made sense.”

Suyin looks between the two younger women and fixes her gaze on Korra. "We’re looking at a likely terrorist group, possible assassination attempts of influential public figures. They will look and act like Dai Li, which makes them especially deadly in the Earth Kingdom because its citizens are groomed to yield to their authority."

“So perhaps all the better if you have a relationship with the real group,” Jinora adds.

“Precisely. I’m working with my colleagues from Omashu to develop better verification methods for all Earth Kingdom government employees besides a uniform. People need security in Ba Sing Se and the Earth Kingdom now more than ever.”

“With you two there, I’m not concerned everything will get handled." Korra thinks for a moment. "Maybe I can come by sometime to check in after the election.”

Wu pats and Korra with child-like enthusiasm. “Tu and I’s engagement party will be a few weeks later. You should come then!”

Korra takes a moment with the new information. “Wait, you two are getting married?” The Avatar tries to calculate how long it had been since Kuvira’s trial and conceivably the moment the two got together unless there was something they weren’t aware of before the kidnapping.

Wu flashes his left hand, and the ring glistens in the late morning sun.

“Congratulations,” Korra and Jinora chirp in unison.

Jinora holds up a finger. “But…” 

“One of my main campaign promises.” Suyin leans in, a hand over her heart. “Once it becomes legal in the Earth Kingdom, I'm confident The United Republic will quickly follow suit.”

“That’s exciting,” Korra mutters. The idea was still working its way through the corridors of her mind. This news was something relevant to her and Asami’s possible future. It wasn’t that marrying Asami hadn’t crossed her mind when she thought about their life together. The fact that they really couldn’t hadn't sunk in. 

If Korra was honest with herself, she had never considered marrying anyone since she was little. But that was children’s play, imagining your life as a sequence of these big moments. Then a pessimism crept in, triumphs in her career as Avatar that always felt like it took more from her than she achieved. An uncertainty about the future, did she even have one? Would her actualization as the Avatar, the thing she was so excited to be, be her life and nothing else?

Korra remembers a feeling she had when she was wandering through the Earth Kingdom, allegedly trying to find herself. Given her choices of the last few weeks, she leaned more towards destruction. She recalls herself sitting in a town square at night. It was the heart of the place, bustling with people and vendors, long after the sun had gone down. There were a good amount of teenagers flirting and showing off. They reminded her of those easy times between her, Mako, Bolin, and Asami, but that gave way to thoughts of the messy times. But before her last fight with Zaheer, they were good again. Really good. She had, for the first time in her life, close friends who had all been through something and come out the other side stronger. So why the heck was she thinking about bending a fireball right in the center of it with these strange thoughts about Asami?

Her stomach tightened in this weird way, as it did every time she thought about Asami back then. Maybe Avatar’s shouldn’t date the people in their team. Besides Aang, who got lucky, she couldn’t think of another Avatar who notability had. Not that she paid much attention to the names of past Avatar’s spouses during classes in her compound. Her teachers didn’t dwell much on that anyways and likely should have. Any guidance on navigating romance as the Avatar would have been greatly appreciated! Korra would have shouted that thought to the cosmos if she had been alone. But she didn’t need this town to know she was the Avatar or think she was utterly insane.

Her attention focused back on the youths, likely a few years younger than herself. Maybe her person was somewhere other than Republic City. In all likelihood, she hasn’t met the person she was meant to be with. And the darker thought was, or never will. 

What was she even thinking about? She was lucky to be alive. Some Avatar’s marry their duty. The time they are given is just too chaotic for anything more than that. Korra was starting to feel like her tenure as Avatar would likely go that way. This is why she had to get these crazy thoughts out of her head and focus on becoming the Avatar the world needed her to be. But the world doesn’t need you, Korra.

“How are things in the Spirit World?” 

Korra jumps from her seat, startled by Suyin’s question. She had no idea how far in her thoughts she had been. She glances at Jinora, relieved someone was here to carry on the conversation, while Korra was back in her dark place in the Earth Kingdom. 

Jinora had noticed Korra’s mental departure but was more strained on how to best answer the question. The younger girl calculates her options; should she be honest? Will it alarm Wu and Suyin? They have enough on their plate with the election and stabilizing the Earth Kingdom. With no real answer to the question if something was genuinely wrong, Jinora figures. “Strange and complicated” was her best answer. 

Korra glances back at Wu and Suyin and gives a reassuring nod. “Jinora is Republic City’s official Spirit World Task Force Leader or something like that. Now that we have a portal in town, we want to better understand the other world we are very close to.”

“I think that is an excellent position to take. Jinora, you are so proactive for your age.”

Korra grins and turns her head to make contact with the younger girl. “We’re all proud of her.” 

 

***

The afternoon before Bolin and Opal's wedding, Korra’s parents arrive in Republic City. Korra and Asami dropped them off at their hotel and planned to grab them in a few hours to go out to dinner to make up for that breakfast she had never met them at. Around seven, they made the quick drive to the Sunset Lounge. 

Korra made sure they all wore their second finest traditional water tribe garments, their best saved for the wedding. Korra could not risk dribbling sauce on her collar or splash of wine on her pant leg. Even Asami’s Kaftan was Water Tribe inspired. 

As they approach the Host, Korra can see the cogs of recognition churn in his brain. His tightly trimmed beard cheek twitches as he forces a big smile. “Welcome back, Miss Sato and Avatar Korra.” He bows slightly. “And welcome, err, Mr. and Mrs. Chief Tonraq.”

He dips deeper into his bow and then gestures into the dining area. They follow him to a private booth. Korra is pretty sure it was where they had sat the last time. 

The four scooch into the seats. Korra’s parents' eyes roam over the lavish furnishings in the Sunset Lounge. The place has more red decor than they’ve likely seen in a lifetime. 

“I don’t think I’ve ever had fire nation food before,” Senna comments as she brings the small menu closer. “I don’t even know where to start.”

“With the wine menu, of course.” Tonrak reaches for the list from the table caddy. 

Korra perks up. “Asami’s pretty good at picking out wine.”

“Great,” Tonrak pushes the menu in her direction with a grin. “I can only pretend I know what I’m talking about.”

“Pretending to know what good wine is, is half of it,” Asami confesses. “It’s all about seeming assured in your selection. Even when the waiter cocks their eyes brows at what you pick.” She slides the menu back to Tonrak. “Honestly, this place is so posh they wouldn’t carry a bad bottle. You go ahead and pick one out.”

Tonrak happily resumes control of the wine list. 

Their waiter appears from behind their privacy curtain. “Are we ready to start with some drinks or appetizers?” 

Asami quickly glances at the menu. “Could we get an order of green onion potato fritters?” She then gestures to Tonrak.

“Yes, and we’d like a bottle of the Kamakura Family Vineyard Red.”

Asami’s eyes bulge at the name.

“Excellent choice. The vineyard is located next to the family coal mine, and the soil's acidity makes for a tart but flavorful grape.”

“You look like you saw a ghost,” Korra whispers, touching Asami’s leg. 

“I’m actually partnering with a few other investors to buy the Kamakura coal mine.”

“What a coincidence," Senna mutters thoughtfully.

“The patriarch of the family died and insisted the new owner must continue mining by hand. His kin doesn't like the conditions, so they're selling it off. I guess the family wanted to hang onto the vineyard, but I am not sure what stipulations that come with it. I would have been much more interested if the vineyard was the one for sale.”

“All the free wine you could want." Tonraq dreamily leans back in his seat, thinking of the possibility. "I guess you get a deal on coal now, then?”

“Not worth it to ship it all the way out here. Besides, my apartment has electric heating.”

“These potato fritters," Senna starts, looking at the item on the menu and seeing its ridiculous price. "Not to seem rude, but that doesn’t sound particularly fancy.”

Asami smiles. “These are the over-the-top fancy version. Fried in truffle oil, and then served topped with bonito flakes that look like they are dancing as they react to the heat.”

Not long after Asami’s description, the waiter appears with the plate of steaming fritters. Senna bends close to the plate and sees the bonito flakes quivering like little flames. 

“Look at that.”

She is startled from her daze at the cork popping from the bottle. The waiter pours a splash in each glass and then leaves the bottle on the side of the table. 

Asami dainty pinches the stem of the glass and lifts it to eye level. “Alright, now for the tasting.”

Korra and her parents mirror the action.

“Swirl a few times. Note the color as it steaks down the glass.” Asami brings the rim of the glass to her nose. “Take a few sniffs. And then, Korra!”

Korra sniffs her glass and then takes a big sip, draining it. “It’s pretty good.”

Senna and Tonraq hold their glasses, waiting for further instructions. 

“ I guess we can taste it now,” Asami says, clinking her glass on Tonraq's, then Senna’s.

The three take a more reserved sip.

“Delicious,” Tonraq mumbles between sips.

“It tastes like wine,” Senna says with a giggle.

Korra cheers her mother's glass with her empty one. “That’s what I think too. It’s wine. It all tastes like wine. Not a bad thing. I just can’t taste the difference.”

“I think I can,” Tonraq says proudly, returning for another sip. This has some notes of citrus. Could be the acidity from the soil.”

“I’m getting that too.” Asami sips some more. “Perhaps barreled in cedar.”

“I’m getting a little hint of tobacco.”

Senna swirls the remaining red liquid in her glass. “I think they're pulling our leg Korra.”

“I’m not," Tonraq insists. "I taste the tobacco.” 

“He’s going to do this all the time at home now. After your visit, he couldn’t stop discussing the treats you brought him. You’re spoiling him, Asami.”

Asami smiles shyly. “I’m happy to do so. I don’t….”

Korra drums her fingers nervously on the table, debating on butting it to help.“I don’t know if you know this, but both of Asami’s parents are now deceased.”

“Oh dear, I’m so sorry." Senna sets her wine glass on the table. "You mentioned your mother but nothing about your father before.”

“It’s still difficult to talk about, and sometimes I forget he's actually gone." Asami looks at her glass and gives the remaining crimson liquid a few swirls. It was soothing until the wicked part of her brain reminded her its the color of blood. "My father and I were separated because he was in prison, so I don’t always notice his absence. What I meant to say is, Tonraq, I appreciate your interest in Pai Sho and wine. These were things my father was also interested in.”

Senna slides a tentative hand across the table and touches the tips of her fingers to Asami's, still clutching her glass. “You really have been through so much, dear. I had no idea.”

“Asami is one of the strongest people I know.” Korra turns to Asami. “ I admire the inner strength you have. Outer too, but most importantly, the strength that comes from inside you.”

“Korra, you know that’s exactly how I feel about you,” Asami leans and little closer and in a whisper. “I’ve you don’t stop talking like this. I’m going to kiss you in front of your parents.” 

A grin blooms on Korra’s face, and she steals a kiss. 

Tonraq scooches back in his seat and places a hand on Senna’s knee. She turns to her husband at the touch. His blue eyes twinkle. He doesn’t have to say anything, and Senna knows what his tender look is conveying. She also finds herself leaning forward, pecking her husband on the lips.

“So what kind of affair can we expect tomorrow?" Tonraq asks, slapping his big paws on the table. "The Beifongs of Zaofu are known to be well off.”

 

*** 

In the heart of downtown, the Four Elements Hotel still proudly stood, surviving the attack on the city. It was a point of contention. When the evacuees returned, the wealthiest of the displaced quickly took over any unoccupied rooms, many of which were suites. Because they were rented before the city’s government made a concerted effort to rehome its displaced citizens out of the camps, there was nothing they could do. So many of these large and luxurious spaces were occupied by only one or two people. 

The richest of Republic City's homes were quickly rebuilt, and the city forgot about the hotel as a relocation option, so it was a stroke of luck for the Beifong family to be able to book a few suites to lodge in during the wedding. Suyin and Bataar Senior booked a suite for Bolin and his family to get dressed and spend the night after the ceremony in, so they were closer to the event space.  

“I can’t believe my little brother is getting married today,” Mako says softly as he fixes the top two buttons of Bolin's dress shirt that peek out from his royal green tang suit jacket.   

Bolin smiles warmly and grasps one of Mako’s wrists, giving it an affectionate squeeze.

“I can,” Grandma Yin’s creaky little voice calls out from across the hotel room. “He’s a romantic, just like your father was. You, Mako, must take after your mother.”

Bolin gives Mako’s wrist another clench and a wink before letting their hands drop. “You’re right, Grandma, Mako is a little more like our mother, but he’s a romantic too.” 

“You’re fickle, Mako, like a woman.”

Bolin marches over to the chair Grandma Yin is observing from and offers a hand. “Alright, Grandma, how about you go and make sure the rest of the family looks presentable?” 

“You’re right,” Grandma Yin concedes. She reaches her head and pats her bun. “I should recheck my hair. I need to look my best if I’m going to sit at the same table as Prince Wu!” 

Bolin closes the door behind her as she leaves and turns back to his brother. “You know she’s not trying to be mean.”

Mako shrugs. “Forgotten already. It’s your big day.”

The two brothers look at each other briefly, a few feet apart in Bolin's bedroom in the junior suite. They both know they are thinking about the same thing, perhaps not the same moments, but how far they have come. They were no longer scrappy orphans but two adults with family and community and the one thing they could always rely on, each other. 

Bolin starts sniffling. He opens his arms, beckoning Mako to him. They move toward each other and then come together in a thunderous hug. 

“C’mon, you can’t start crying,” Mako groans.

“I saw your tears. You’re crying too!”

“Damnit, I know! I’m feeling very sentimental.”

Bolin tightens his hug. “I love you, bro!”

“I love you too!” Mako utters as the last of his breath is squeezed out. 

Later that afternoon, Mako and Bolin drove to the newly rebuilt Watertribe Cultural Center building. It was one of the few event spaces not still commandeered by recovery efforts or evacuees. Varrick let them use the space as his gift to the bride and groom. 

After parking Mako’s police vehicle, they approach the main entrance, and several guests mingle out front. It was a beautiful early summer day. Bolin, at that moment, wished they had gambled on an outdoor wedding because it would have paid off. 

As the brothers approach the door, Varrick steps outside and spies them. He lifts his arms over his head and grins. “Bolin, my boy! We need to get you into place before your beautiful bride arrives.”

Mako watches as Varrick steals Bolin away inside. He sticks his hands in his pockets and turns around to nearly collide with Korra and Asami. The two women giggle as he recovers.

“Hey Mako, you want to come sit with us?” Asami asks. “Or do you have a special spot as the groom’s brother?”

The three step aside so they don’t block the doorway. Mako quickly glances at the sunny sky, enjoying the warmth on his cheeks. “No, I’m just planning on sitting on his side.”

Korra crosses her arm and brings her right hand thoughtfully under her chin. “We thought about it all morning and determined since we met Bolin first, we should sit on his side.” 

“For me, it kind of feels like my brother is getting married today, too,” Asami confesses, her cheeks pinken.

“I know Bolin feels the same way. After all we’ve been through, the four of us are family.”

Asami jabs an elbow into Mako’s side. “Mako!”

Mako recoils and holds his wounded side. “What’s that for?”

“Saying something so sweet!” Asami replies, gently nudging him again.

Mako takes a few steps closer to Korra to get some distance from Asami. “I was expecting something more like a hug than a poke for that sentiment.”

Asami smiles warmly in Korra’s direction. “Should we give him what he wants?” 

Korra grins widely and opens up her arms. Asami moves closer to the two, spreading her arms too. Mako shrinks and takes a few steps back but is engulfed in the two women's arms. 

 

***

The event hall at the Watertribe cultural center was large enough to set up the ceremony in one half and the dining tables in the other. The hall is decorated in a playful combination of Air Nation and Earth Kingdom motifs; paper lanterns of different sizes and colors hang from the ceiling at different lengths. When you looked up, it was almost like gazing at the night sky on a clear night. It gave the hall a romantic glow. It was the only lighting besides small candles as centerpieces at the circular dining tables. The two’s earth kingdom heritage is represented with green tablecloths and tapestries. A particularly garish badgermole tapestry hung by the entrance, an early wedding gift from Prince Wu.

Mako was surprised he was able to tear his grandmother away from it to witness the ceremony. Asami and Korra are to his right, and Grandma Yin is seated on his left. She took his hand at the start of the ceremony and still held it tightly as they watched Opal say her half of the vows. 

Varrick’s officiation of the ceremony is more restrained than he feared it might not be. Opal’s condition to Bolin to allow Varrick to do it was that he had to keep it about them: no rants or side notes. And with only a few minor side comments, Varrick succeeded. 

Varrick motions to Bolin and Opal, and the young couple come together for a brief kiss. The room breaks out in applause. Opal moves to look at the crowd, but Bolin turns her head back to his for another kiss. Mako hears some whooping noises and sees it’s Tu and some of his many other male cousins. As the couple breaks apart, Bolin is grinning wildly. Opal gives him a playful shove and then links her arm with her new husband.

 

***

After some mixing and mingling, everyone sits down for dinner. Bolin and Opal share a large table with her immediate family, Prince Wu, Tu, Grandma Yin, and Mako.

“So, not to steal your thunder, but check out my engagement ring,” Wu sticks out his left hand to the center of the round table and shows off the jewel-encrusted jade band. He flutters his fingers like a wave for emphasis.”

“There is no way Tu could have afforded that!” Bolin shouts, leaning from his seat for a better view.

Wu makes a clicking sound with his teeth. “No, obviously, but he designed it.” He rescinds his hand and places it on top of Tu’s. 

Bolin points to Tu’s left hand. “Let’s see yours, cuz.”

Tu raises his hand, the back of it to the table. His is a much simpler jade-green band. 

“Can you two get married?” Bolin asks.

Suyin clears her throat. “That’s where I come in.”

Opal rolls her eyes and grabs her champagne flute for a big swig. “So they are going to be your poster children.”

“Precisely.”

“I’ll have to tell Korra and Asami. They’ll be relieved the pressure is off them.”

“That’s not why you're engaged, is it?” Mako asks, joining the conversation. “A political stunt.”

Wu swats a hand at Mako. “Course not. We had an amazing friendship before we started dating. And now that we are, things are even better. I’ve sampled enough. I need to lock this wonderful man down.”

Mako dares a look at Tu and is surprised he appears just as confident. Mako wasn’t sure what to think after his cousin's very public declaration at the trial, but it was apparently all sincere. Mako’s eyes move to his Grandmother. She seems equally excited, if not more. One of her grandchildren is marrying royalty, a dream come true.

“We’re ready for it.” Tu squeezes Wu’s hand. “Besides, it will take a while to legalize same-sex marriage. So that will be our engagement period.”

“Our date is the day it’s legal, so keep your calendars open because we won’t be giving you too much notice.” Wu points around the table for emphasis.

Opal watches her husband contort as he appears to flip through his mental schedule. She pats his hand, bringing him back. “It’ll be fine. We’ll make it.”

“They asked me to officiate,” Suyin giggles, putting a hand to her chest in a flattered gesture. “An honor I’d take more seriously than the Presidency if elected.”

“Mooooom,” Opal groans.

Suyin scowls. “What?”

“You can be so cringey sometimes.”

A glass loudly starts to clink, catching the bride and groom’s table’s attention. At the table over with Asami, Korra, her parents, Lin, and a few other prominent republic city figures, Varrick rises from his seat. He puts down this glass and pulls a microphone from his suit pants pocket.

“Hello again. I was strictly forbidden from making any grand speeches during the ceremony, but they didn’t say anything about dinner! So without further ado, my official speech.” 

“Where’d he get that microphone?” Opal mutters, bracing herself for the incoming blatherings of Varrick by holding her glass out for a waiter to top her off.

Mako shrugs. “He owns the building, remember?” 

“Opal," Varrick starts. "I want to say you are a lucky woman because Bolin is one of the truest friends and companions on the face of this earth. Loyal, but more importantly forgiving.”

Opal looks over to her now husband. He’s got a big goofy grin as he watches Varricks, whose opinion honestly meant very little to her, but she couldn’t help but agree with this moment. Bolin is loyal and forgiving almost, almost to a fault. It was so frustrating in the moment, but it explained his choice to assist Kuvira. He was just being loyal to the cause he felt was originally in the spirit of Korra’s mission. He wanted to help because his friend couldn’t and because helping people was the right thing to do. It was just deeply unfortunate Kuvira was at the helm of that mission, with the sketchy person Varrick also involved. But Bolin’s forgiving nature let him trust that lunatic again.

Opal’s eyebrows furrowed as she mulled over her thoughts. She didn’t need to dissect that time because people's choices don’t always make sense, but the sentiment of Varricks words rings true. Bolin is by her side today because he has a good heart and is loyal and forgiving. These are excellent qualities in a partner. Opal could look at her parents and see a similar dynamic. Her father is devoted to her mother. Opal could only scratch the surface of what he may have had to forgive with her moo-sow-headed mother. 

As she compared her and Bolin to her parents, she could see that perhaps she was more like her dad in the relationship. Quieter retrained. Bolin is a big personality, the former and now current mover star. Would it get to his head? She had a small glimpse of big-headed Bolin when they first met. Mako had commented once that Bolin had become a bit full of himself the first time he was acting. But that was four years ago. He’s matured a lot. 

“How do I confidently know Bolin possesses these qualities? Why was it during our darkest moment, stranded alone in the wilderness somewhere in the Earth Kingdom. He, of course, swiftly forgave me for accidentally building a death ray, and he was basically working for Kuvira too. Though by that point, it really was more of a hostage situation. What am I even doing, bringing up Kuvira at a wedding? Anyways, the point of this story was, as we faced our deaths in the wilderness, we promised to officiate each other’s weddings if we made it through our darkest hours. And we did! I married the woman of my dreams, and Bolin got to marry his. Now that we’ve crossed our marriage pact off the list, what say you come back and work for me again? Resurrect the Nuktuk franchise! It’ll be killer! I have loads more ideas. Like Nuktuk verses-”

Sensing where the speech is going, Mako gets out of his chair and sneaks up on Varrick. He pulls the microphone from the entrepreneur's grasp. Mako walks it back over to his seat next to Wu, being mindful of the cord, and looks to the rest of the room. “Let’s hear it for Varrick.”

A few awkward claps.

“As most of you know, I’m Mako, Bolin’s brother. We’ve been through a lot over the years, we lost our parents at a very young age, and we were the only family each other had. Recently we’ve reconnected with our father’s family and found friends who feel just as close. And now all you Beifongs are a part of our family. If you asked me back when we were first on the streets that we’d have so much love in our lives one day, I wouldn’t have believed you, but I think Bolin would have. Brother, I may be a fire bender, but you are so much warmer. Maybe that’s why you can bend lava.”

Mako turns to Opal. “Opal, I’m excited to call you sister because recently you’ve been acting like one to me. You know the times I’m talking about.”

Suyin raises her hand as if asking for the microphone, but Korra is faster. 

“Anyways, congratulations to you both. May you enjoy a lifetime together.”

Mako nods and hands off the power to speak to the room to Korra. 

“Hey everyone, I’m not a great public speaker, but I wanted to give a little love to Opal too. I remember when we first met at Zaofu. You were so much shyer than you are today. I think that was only because you had spent your life in the same place, kind of like I had. It’s been fun watching you grow into a confident bender and fifth member of Team Avatar, and the answer to the long-standing question, who can handle dating Bolin? Since it began, I’ve privately admired your relationship. Your ability to communicate and respectfully disagree sometimes. Things I’ve never been the best at. And most of all, the tenderness you share. I don’t hope, I know, you’ll have a long and happy life together. I can't wait to see what this next chapter in your lives brings.”

“Enough speeches. Let’s party!” Someone shouts from the crowd.

 

****

After dinner and the speeches, the lights dim, and the music takes off. The young and old cut loose on the dance floor, but eventually, the older slip away to rest and chat. 

Pema and Senna find themselves seeking refuge at the same table again. They exchanged pleasantries until the conversation naturally died off, and they fell into a comfortable silence watching the dancefloor. 

Pema remembered to get a dance with her husband in early because he seemed to get swept up easily at these affairs. Many people wanted to bend his ear or, worse, pour him another drink. They should leave soon. Katara and Kaya offered to sit this affair out and watch Rohan. She didn’t want to be out too late. The main problem would be getting Ikki to leave the dance floor. 

Pema had lost track of her other daughter but figured she had found a quiet spot to wait for the family to be ready to leave. Her eldest daughter seemed more pensive than usual these days. Pema wondered if she should press her daughter or let it go for the moment. Jinora is a teenager. It does come with the territory.

“Well, here we all are again,” Suyin exclaims as she approaches the table. She takes the free seat next to Pema. 

Pema grins. “That’s right, we toasted to the next wedding, and I was right about who it was.” 

“I don’t think we need to spend much time guessing who is next,” Suyin says, taking a swig of her drink and eyeing Senna playfully.

Pema, recalling how quiet Senna became the last time they spoke of the topic Suyin was skirting, dares a look at the mother beside her. 

“Perhaps,” Pema starts. "Remember, they haven’t  actually  been dating for all that long.”

“True, but I see it happening down the road someday.” Suyin takes a sip of her champagne. The crisp drink almost burns. She smacks her lips and lets out a little breath in relief. 

“Do you think it will ever be legal?” Senna asks, breaking her silence since Suyin joined. “I know you’re trying in Zaofu.”

“One of my first orders of business, when I get into office, is getting it on the ballot.”

“I never thought….” Senna shakes her head. “It hasn’t been a part of my world, so I never gave it any real thought, you know? It just never crossed my mind that Korra could be like that. I hadn’t mentally prepared myself like you have, Pema. That you would love your child no matter what. Your concerns are just how the rest of the world would treat them. I knew that was right, but I just couldn’t feel it myself.”

Pema tries not to feel a bit defensive from Senna's words. “How do you feel now?”

“I still don’t quite fully understand, but I think it’s when I try to put myself in that situation with another woman. Like how could you, as a woman, look at another woman and want them  that  way? But when I think about them outside of that and see how they complement each other in a way you’d want with your partner. When they visited, Asami confided in me how she worries about Korra, and I could relate to worrying about my daughter and my own husband in that way. When Korra talks about Asami, her eyes light up in this special way, the way I remember my friends would talk about their boyfriends.”

“Well, that’s the thing of it, if your child finds a partner who cares for and brings out the good in them, that’s all you should want as a parent. Gay or straight relationship, you shouldn’t be considering what goes on in the bedroom.” Suyin chuckles. “Just hope they are happy there too.”

Pema watches Senna’s body posture entirely relax and unclenches a little herself. Then a giggle erupts from Senna. 

“I’ve been holding on to this for what feels like so long now. This concern for Korra, my adult child who nearly died and suffered a severe injury that took three years of her life. Which I watched her be miserable through. Yet somehow, I fret over something that makes her genuinely happy.” Senna looks down at her hands. She nervously rubs them together. “When Korra told us Asami was her girlfriend, my husband told her that was wonderful. And isn’t it? But I couldn’t see it.”

Pema puts her hands over Seena’s fidgeting ones, and they settle. “But you see it now.”

Senna nods. Her eyes start to sting with tears at the corners. She slips a hand free and starts to wipe at them.

Suyin notices and moves to the empty seat on Senna’s side. “Senna, you don’t need to beat yourself up over this any more than you already have. As a parent, accepting things about your child is a journey. And with something like this, some parents never get to where you are. They shut their children out and never see them again. You should be proud of your capacity to love your child for something that doesn’t matter, but much of the world thinks it does.”

“Suyin’s right,” Pema adds. She leans around Senna to catch Suyin’s eyes. “And we didn’t get to where we are overnight.”

“No, and I apologize if I came off a bit harsh the last time we spoke to both of you. Once I accepted Wei, I became his fiercest defender. I think I forgot how it can feel at first as a parent….” Suyin pauses for a moment. “I need to emphasize with people who are maybe just a little unsure. That’s how I am going to win them over in the Earth Kingdom.”

“Looks like Suyin may have gone off on the campaign trail,” Pema whispers to Senna. “How are you feeling?”

Senna sniffs a few times and regains her composure. “Better. It feels good to talk about this with someone other than my husband. Pema, you seem to be speaking from experience. Is one of your children also...”

“She might be. She’s a little young, so I don’t know. She might not know. But she’s particularly interested in your daughter and Asami’s relationship in a way that my other children aren’t.”

“I see.”

“Airbender teachings are to be non-judgemental of same-sex relationships. The people who wrote them also lived isolated in temples far away from the rest of the world. We live in Republic City, which is a melting pot of people. You’re a product of your environment. I spent time in the South. There wasn’t a lot of talking about your feelings down there.”

“No, there isn’t. Korra wears her heart on her sleeve. I don’t know where that came from.”

“Maybe that’s a little Aang in her.”

Senna smiles. “Perhaps. 

 

***

Shey takes the last swing of her third drink and debates getting a fourth as she rests it on the table, partially obscuring her view of Varrick because she was slumped so low in her seat. He had been talking her ear off about her mover. It was hard to tell if it was more complimentary or accusatory. Either way, Shey knew she had reignited his fire to get back into picture-making, and they would undoubtedly be bumping into each other more. 

Izzi appears at the table, an apologetic look on her face. “Hi, I’m sorry, but could I steal Shey here for a moment?”

Varrick jerks his head to look up at the young woman. 

Izzi’s eyes brighten, and a giant fake grin flashes across her face. “Oh my goodness, you’re Varrick!”

Any bristling Varrick was feeling melts away, and he smirks. “The entrepreneur, industrialist, two-time prison escaping master, AND the original mover maker.”

I am such a fan,” Izzi says, touching her chest. “You’ll have to tell me a few tales when I return Shey to you.”

“Of course, you kids go do whatever,” Varrick holds up his glass to them. “I’ll be camped out right here.”

Shey doesn’t hesitate to follow Izzi away from Varrick. They pass through the main event hall and into the smaller sitting parlor. It was empty, so the two women sat down and picked a sofa. 

Shey sprawled out in her seat, relieved to be away from Varrick. “Thank you for saving me.”

Izzi giggles. “And here I thought watching your ex partying with her new girlfriend would be the worst part of the night for you.”

Shey ponders the statement. She had made a conscious effort not to let herself focus on them this evening and surprisingly found it wasn’t too hard. The few moments she did spy them, and they were together, they looked so comfortable, even in this big crowd of people. They weren’t afraid to be a couple. Shey felt oddly encouraged by it.

A hand waves in front of Shey’s face, breaking her concentration. “Hey, where’d you go?”

“Sorry,” Shey smooths back her hair. “I think I had one too many while enduring Varrick’s rambling.”

“Sorry, I brought them up.”

“No, don’t be. It’s okay now. I’m ready to move forward.”

Izzi tucks a stray lock of dark hair behind her ear. “I’m relieved to hear that.” She scoots a little closer. Shey turns and is startled by her proximity. “There’s something I’ve been meaning to tell you.”

Unbeknownst to the pair, Lan is watching them from the doorway. “Finally, girl,” she snickers to herself and takes a little sip from her champagne flute. Nearly six months ago, Izzi had confided in her about her feelings for Shey. Lan discouraged her from saying anything at the time, knowing Asami Sato still plagued her mind. Shey getting the truth about why they broke up finally gave her the closure to move on. 

“And moving on, she definitely is,” Lan whispers as the two girls lean in for a quick explorative kiss. 

“Seriously?” a male voice groans.

Lan turns around to see she is no longer alone, lurking in the doorway. Mako is at her side, quickly deflating.  

“Something wrong?” Lan asks, cocking her head curiously. 

Mako motions to Shey and Izzi, but he is unable to form a sentence. He wanted to bemoan the fact that he had just caught a little crush on Izzi after speaking with her at the premiere, but now he clearly had to put that out of his mind. 

“Seriously hot in here,” Mako says, fanning himself. “I was hoping this room was cooler, but it’s not. Guess I’ll go outside.”

Mako puts his eyes to the ground so as not to stare at the couple as he passes. 

“Let me join you!” Lan calls after him, catching up to his side. “I could use some fresh air too.”

“Sure.” Mako brightens a little. “You worked on the mover, too, right? So, how do you feel the premiere went?”

“Smoother than I could have imagined. We were really worried about getting a lot of pushback on the romance.”

The two step outside, and immediately the cool air washes over their faces. Lan didn’t realize how hot she was until that moment. Small groups gather outside, seeking fresher air than inside the hall. The only available seat is a small stone bench, so they quickly snatch it.

Mako paws out his beard, which has finally filled out on his face. “Besides my cousin, who just recently started dating a man, I have never seen two men interacting like that before.”

“And it’s your brother!” Lan squeals. “He does such a good job, though.”

Mako bows his head. “He had me believing for sure.”

“Bolin is an amazing actor.” Lan murmurs in a wistful sigh. “But who knows if he’ll continue now that he’s married.

“Sounds like Varrick won’t be letting him quit.”

“So, you're a detective yourself. How’d you feel about our representation?”

“Weeeell.” Mako looks to the side and grins.

Lan gives him a playful check on the shoulder. They end up spending the rest of the evening talking in the patio area. They are so absorbed in conversation that they miss the bouquet tossing. 

 

***

Tenzin also finds his way to the outside courtyard. The sun had set, but a slight pinkish hue remained, warming the cool tones of the rock and concrete walls. 

“Hi, Dad.”

“Jinora,” Tenzin whispers, straightening himself up as she approaches. “Seeking respite from the crowd too?”

“I’m partied out,” Jinora says with a little nod. She leans against the same wall as her father. “To be honest, I’m burnt out on many things.”

“You’re too young to feel that way,” Tenzin sighs. “But I remember having similar feelings when I was around your age. The burden of being the second to last Airbender, the future leader of my nation, son of the Avatar….” 

He looks out to the yard, a few curious spirits hovering near the open door, casting a gentle glow in the dusk. A drunken partygoer, what appears to be someone from Bolin and Mako’s family, tries to shoo them away. They playfully flit around just out of the man’s uneasy reach.

“Dad, I think I want to get away for a little bit.”

Tenzin closes his eyes and waits for his daughter to continue.

“I’ve been thinking a lot about what I want for myself and where I want to put my focus. I know you want me to be prepared to lead the Air Nation one day, but that’s so far off, despite your worries. And Korra. I actually learned a lot about working with her through teaching Zhou Rhen. It was all there. I just had to remind myself. Right now, she seems to be in another place that’s a little less focused on being just the Avatar. I’ll always be there if she needs me, but not right now.”

“And so, what is it you want?”

“To study the Spirit World. I want to travel there, not just meditate.”

“So you’d go to the Southern Portal?” Tenzin murmurs, his heart dropping to his stomach. Everything in him wanted to tell her no, but he resists the urge to give it some real thought. It felt like she had just tugged on the last thread holding the fabric of his family together. Meelo’s gone off with Bumi. Ikki will never be as invested in Airbender now that she’s tasted the limelight, and little Rohan’s path is altered forever. Jinora, he had taken for granted as his rock, the child that would always stick around.

No, Tenzin scolds himself. He’s looking at this wrong. He’s been looking at many things with fear in his heart. Perhaps if he had paid attention to Meelo's needs, his son's energy would have been focused, and the accident would never have happened. If he tries to discourage Jinora’s natural curiosity and ambition. Would one day she resent him and leave home forever? 

Tenzin could now see he was keeping his children in cages. He needed to start letting them free. “You’ll come back, won’t you?”

“Of course, Dad. I just need something for me. I thought everything I needed was at home, but it’s not. Nothing has made me think otherwise until the Spirit World. It's calling to me, and I want to understand it.”

“It may take a lifetime to understand that world, perhaps more.”

“I know, but it’s a part of our home now. Republic City and the Spirit World are more connected than ever. I also want to be a bridge between the two worlds.”

Tenzin thoughtfully fingers some of his beard hairs. Building the Air Nation was his life’s work. When Harmonic Convergence gave the world back Airbending, it expedited Tenzin’s mission to a phase he’d never thought he’d see. A temple full of Airbenders. That was going to be his children’s, children’s, children’s, he could go on forever, legacy. Of course, Jinora wants something of her own. The future he envisioned for her is here and only requires maintaining. 

“You will one day lead the Air Nation. But you are right. We need more bridges between the worlds. Us Airbenders have been trying to facilitate that since Harmonic Convergence brought the vines. It’s a brand new world out there, and we need to understand those we share it with. I am willing to explore this idea with you. You’re not getting on a boat to the South tomorrow, but we can start discussing what a trip would look like.”

“Really?”

“Yes. It’s time you start exploring what you want.”

Before Tenzin could finish speaking, his daughter was squeezing him tight. He wraps his arms around her little frame and places a small kiss on the top of her head.

“The real challenge is going to be convincing your mother.”

Jinora’s response is to squeeze back tighter.

 

***

Bolin and Opal finish hugging their families and give the crowd one more wave before entering their ride home. The Satomobile drives off, and the spectators wave their arms until it's out of sight. Everyone was encouraged to continue partying, but many of the older guests took this as a sign they could go home.

Senna and Tonraq sought Korra and Asami out of the crowd to bid them goodnight. Senna gives Korra a startling big hug and kiss, and then the mother moves to squeeze Asami. Tonraq affectionately pats the two girls, and they take the shuttle Suyin arranged back to the hotels. 

Korra and Asami return inside and head to the party when a stairwell catches Korra’s eye. She tugs Asami’s hand to follow her. They follow a few flights of dark stairs until they reach another door that says roof access. Korra grins and pushes it open. It’s dark, but as they move toward the roof's edge, the city lights make it easier to see. They rest their arms against the railing. A refreshing breeze blows against their cheeks as they watch the building lights twinkle below.

“Bolin and Opal are married now," Korra says, playfully checking her shoulder into Asami's.

“That is the point of this event.”

“It doesn’t feel any different.”

Asami giggles. “They’ve only been married for four hours.”

“I dunno." Korra rests her elbows on the railing, cups her face in her hands, and pushes up her cheeks. "For some reason, I thought there would be this difference once they got married.”

“Again," Asami snorts. "It’s only still their wedding party. I don’t think it’s going to be like a switch it turned on. It’s going to be slow. They will move into the place their parents got them, so we won’t run into them as much on the island. I know Bolin wants kids, so they’ll probably start a family soon.”

“Mako’s going to throw himself into his police work again.”

Asami pictures Mako trying to walk with two or three children clinging to his leg. A mix of misery and joy on his face. “But show up to be a terrific uncle.”

Korra turns her body around, her back to the railing, and cocks her head to Asami. “And what about us?”

“Well, our immediate future involves me rebuilding those damn roads again and overseeing the mansion's renovations." Asami draws with her finger the rotary she just designed in the air. "You might have another trip to Ba Sing Se after the elections. Fingers crossed, it's Suyin, so it’ll only be a quick trip to congratulate her.”

“Then what?”

“Once Republic City is restored, and the world decides to be quiet for a moment, we maybe slip away for a vacation to see your parents again or go somewhere warm like the Fire Nation. While staying near the coast, I thought how nice it would have been if you were there with me. I’d even want to stay at the same little inn.”

“Visiting the Fire Nation sounds fun." Korra slides her back along the railing, closing the little distance between their bodies. "Then what?”

“I don’t know what life will throw at us. There seems to be an endless supply of nut jobs who want to mess up the world.”

“I want to marry you someday.”

Asami takes a step back, her face the same red as her dress.

“I want to marry you," Korra repeats. Her glacier blue eyes shining from the Spirit Portals glow. "And I think have kids and a little house, not a giant mansion, somewhere near the city."

Asami shly tucks a few strands of hair behind her ear. “Just like that, you lay it all out.”

“I mean, it’s something we should talk about, right? You’re the one usually encouraging discussion.”

“You’re right. I just…”

Korra cocks her head curiously and leans it to rest on Asami's shoulder.

Asami bends her neck to lean her own head atop of Korra's. She images they look a lot like the double helix of the spirit portal. Her facing the city, with Korra mirrored facing the building. 

Asami wonders if Korra's heart is beating as fast as hers. “If you asked me for those things now, I’d say yes. But someday is probably the right time.”

Korra blushes. “We haven’t gotten to enjoy dating for very long. I want to go through all the stages of a relationship with you. I don’t want to skip over any of it. I lost a lot of time, which you think would make me want to rush and try to make it up. But I want to savor it all.”

“I want that too.”

“But it’s nice to know you want that down the road too.” Korra lifts up her head and turns her body to the side. Asami does the same, so they can finally face each other. 

Asami takes both of Korra's hands in hers. “Let's check in sometime and see where we are."

 

*****

It's late morning when Jinora takes a walk along the island's beach. She has Zhou Rhen's report tucked under her arm as she looks for a good place to sit. 

The young advisor had left early that morning, shortly after breakfast. Jinora was a little sad to see him go. They had a rocky start, but after working together, she hoped he agreed that they had formed a friendship. Zhou Rhen, unsure when he would return, promised to write in the meantime, so she had a pen pal to look forward to for now.

A beached log in a sunny spot seems as good as any for Jinora to take a seat. She pulls out the papers and sets them on her lap. 

Dear Jinora, working and learning beside you has been a pleasure. I know there are only great things in your future. Enclosed is a verbatim copy of my report. All the best, Zhou Rhen. 

After my extended period with Avatar Korra in her home on Air Temple Island, I have concluded she has reached the mature state of independent adulthood one would expect from a woman her age. This most recent intervention should be considered the last without Avatar Korra’s explicit request. Any further unsolicited intervention will only make Avatar Korra feel infantilized, a recurring discomfort she has experienced with her more sheltered upbringing than previous Avatars. 

My initial attempt to persuade Avatar Korra to keep her romantic relationship with Miss Sato private, if possible, was met with great hostility. After spending time with Avatar Korra and her circle, it became clear that trying to keep the relationship a secret from the public would have been near impossible. Asami Sato’s notoriety almost matches Avatar Korra’s in Republic City, and with their combined network of public-serving friends, it would inevitably slip out at some point. Asami Sato’s business public relations team stepped in to help facilitate the announcement and help control the narrative as best they could by being the first to tell the story. I stayed on the sidelines of Avatar Korra’s public statement regarding her romantic relationship with Miss Sato, only stepping in when requested for my opinion, which was rare.

After my initial failed attempt to speak with Avatar Korra, I was fortunate that a close friend of hers and the daughter of Air Master Tenzin, Jinora, was willing to take me under her wing and educate me on how to best interact with Avatar Korra. I quickly learned that I was grossly unprepared to advise the Avatar. It wasn’t that I was lacking in study but connection. I had to build a relationship with Avatar Korra to gain her trust and divulge her feelings and concerns. 

Through this journey, my main takeaway is Avatar Korra does not need our (The White Lotus) intervention, only our support. I will continue to make myself available to her upon my request. I ask to be stationed in Republic City in the near future so I am quickly accessible and able to maintain friendly terms with Avatar Korra.

Jinora turns the last page over in her lap to confirm that is all there is. She folds the papers and sticks them in her pocket. 

"Hey, Jinora!" Korra calls out. 

Jinora turns around and sees Korra waving to her from the rocks above. 

"Did I miss him leaving?"

Jinora rolls her eyes and hollers back. "Yes, you got to stop being late all the time!"

Korra runs her hands through her wind-tousled hair, messing it up further. "I know!" She opens her glider staff and takes the short trip to the beach.

"Thank you, we didn't need to keep yelling at each other."

"Think he was upset?" Korra asks, scrunching her face from the bright sun and remorse.

"A little. Zhou Rhen thinks quite highly of you." 

Korra grimaces. 

"But you should be more concerned about getting on my bad side," Jionra pokes the Avatar in her side.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I promise no more being late."Korra gives a little shriek and dodges further jabs from the younger girl. "So, where we going today?"

"I want to scout out the area around the southern portal, I want to know what I'm possibly getting into."

Korra girns. "Let's go."

 

***

Asami starts a big yawn right as her office door opens. She shields it with a hand and waves Kali in with the other.

"Sorry, Miss Sato, just a couple of things came in; a note from Raiko's office for a meeting about the plans for the downtown thoroughfare to Little Ba Sing Se and a reference check for one of our recent Management training graduates."

Asami perks up at the second item. She tries not to take the papers too eagerly. "Let me review what I've got, and I'll let you know how soon I can take the meeting with Raiko."

Kali nods. "Sounds good. If you get me the recommendation letter in the next hour, I think we can get that in the outgoing mail today."

"Thank you, Kali."

Kali politely bows and closes the door. "My pleasure."

Asami's hands shake as she brushes Raiko's note aside to read the reference check. When she sees the name, she leans back in her seat and releases a very long breath. It's Kuvira. She did it.

Asami pulls out a fresh piece of Future Industries letterhead and drafts a positive but not overly enthusiastic letter of recommendation. It will get Kuvira the job without making her stand out too much. She's surprised to find herself smiling as she signs her name at the bottom. The thought of Kuvira having a decent life moving forward no longer stings but gives her an old sense of hope. 

Asami looks up at her family portrait and knows the cycle of pain, resentment, and revenge will stop with her. And her life will be all the better for it. 

To be continued...

 

******End of Part Two*******

Chapter 53: After All The Years

Notes:

Some of these bits I wrote when I first started this story in 2015. There was an ocean between my ideas for the beginning of this fanfiction and the end. We've finally arrived on the other side. Thank you for sticking with me.

Chapter Text

The Next Chapters:Part Three

***
Korra readjusts the baby on her hip as she heats some milk on the stove-top. Korra and Asami recently mastered the art of making baby formula. The two women had taken the breastfeeding Asami could do with their other children for granted.

It had been a while since there was a baby in the house. It meant Korra was back to being a full-time stay-at-home Mom. She doesn’t mind; the world is quiet, which means she gets to see Wan and Ai more.

During the week, Korra’s days were pretty much the same, mornings with Kimmi at home or running errands and then waiting in the kitchen for the other two children to come home from school in the afternoon. She would give them a snack before letting them go off and play until dinner. Then Asami would come home from work, take Kimmi, and rest her on her hip and they would cook dinner together. Korra couldn't foresee why today would be any different.

A Satomible pulls into the driveway, meaning Hong is back from picking up Wan and Ai. The front door opens and slams shut, then more gently opens and closes again.

“Hi, kids!” Korra beams, coming out of the kitchen with Kimmi in tow.

“Hi, Mumma!” Ai chirps. Hong nods and makes his way to his small home in the backyard. He cuts through the living room to get to his spot. Picking up the children was always the final task of his day.

Korra glances around the foyer. “Where's Wan? Did he slam the door?”


“Yeah,” Ai answers bashfully.

Wan’s bedroom door is closed when Korra and Kimmi arrive in front of it.

“Hey Buddy, is everything okay?”

“I'm fine!” The boy hollers back. Korra knew it was a lie, but it was better not to press him.

Korra returns to the kitchen, where Ai patiently waits for her snack.

“How was your day, Sweetheart?” Korra asks as she places the prepared plate of fruit slices with nut butter on their kitchen table. She sits across from Ai and adjusts Kimmi to sit in her lap. Korra tests the bottle on her wrist to see if the milk is cool enough before offering it to the baby.

“It was good. Today we drew pictures of our families."

“Did you bring it home?”

“Nuh-uh." Ai shakes her head. "We're putting the pictures up in the classroom for a while. So we can learn about everybody's families.”

“That's nice. Does anyone in your class have a family like ours?”

Ai beams. “Mmhmm! But she has a Daddy and a Dada instead of a Mommy and a Mumma! Her name is April. Can she come over sometime?”

“Of course.”

“I'm home!”

Ai and Korra perk up at the sound of Asami entering the house.
“We're in the kitchen Babe!”

Asami enters soon after. She pats Ai on the head before walking over to Korra and Kimmi.

“Where's Wan?” Asami asks after pecking a kiss Korra on the lips.

“He's up in his room.”

Korra passes Kimmi to her wife.

“Hi baby,” Asami says in a higher tone, bouncing her a few times before settling her on her left hip. “You two have a good day?”

“We did.” Korra stretches her arms over her head. Holding a baby most of the day was more workout than she remembered it being. But she was a lot younger when they had their other two children. “Kimmi really likes sitting in her bindle while I practice my bending stances.”

“I bet. I wish I were small enough to be strapped to the Avatar.”

Korra blushes. “You're terrible.”

“Whatever do you mean?” Asami says coyly, walking away from the table.

“How was yours?” Korra sneaks one of Ai’s fruit slices. The young girl’s eyes bulge, and she quickly pulls the plate closer to her side of the table.

“Busy. I met up with Ikki for lunch, which ran later than planned, so I will need to leave early tomorrow to play catchup.”

“How’s Ikki?”

“Oh, you know,” Asami sighs. She bounces Kimmi a few playful times. “Girlfriend problems again.”

“What’s with that?”

Asami shrugs. “I’m sure a girl who was a very famous child actor, never went to school and has tattoos seems really exciting at first.”

Korra chuckles and sneaks another fruit slice. “Keyword, at first. So you think Ikki is the problem?”

“She is the common denominator. The girl has wanted a girlfriend since she was, what, twelve? I’m sure she comes on as strong and intensely as she did as a child. Speaking of, she will babysit for us Friday night.”

Ai straightens up from her seat and squeals with excitement through her full cheeks.

“Why don't you and Ai go practice some water bending while I see what our little man is up to.”

“Tread lightly. He's been so moody lately.” Korra gets up from her chair and picks up Ai’s empty plate. Ai hops down from her chair to join in the clean-up.

“He's getting to that age, Korra.”

“What age?” Ai asks innocently.

Korra looms over Ai, reaches for her armpits, and wiggles her fingers. “An age I never want you to become! I want you to stay my little Sweetheart forever and ever.”

“Aaah! Mumma, noooo!”

Asami smiles as she leaves the scene in the kitchen. It wasn't long before she was in front of her eldest child's closed bedroom door. Asami knocked lightly with her free hand.

“Wan. It's Mom. Can I come in?”

There is no answer, so Asami lets herself in. Wan was lying face down on his bed. She quietly crosses the room and sits on the edge of his bed. She lets Kimmi onto the comforter on her tummy. “Buddy, what’s wrong?”

“I hate my school.”

“But you just started at public school. You have to give it a little time. “

Wan groans and rolls over so his back is to his mother.

“I know it's hard adjusting, but isn't this what you wanted? How are your technical drawings coming along?”

“They’re on my desk.” Wan half-heartedly points in that direction.

Asami walks over and picks up a few large pieces of drafting paper. Kimmi starts to wiggle from her spot on the bed. Wan, sensing her movement, rolls over in time to grab her.

Asami flips open the sketchbook and thumbs through the pages. Most of the drawings were Satomobiles in different stages or parts. Then she came upon some more imaginative sketches. Clearly, her son is trying to work out ideas.

“These are beautiful,” Asami says as she flips through. “Oh, your style reminds me so much of my fathers….”

She looks at her son. He was the spitting image of her Hiroshi when he was that age; his pale skin and black hair, even how he liked to part it. The only difference is his piercing blue eyes.

‘Just like Korra's…’

Asami would forget herself thinking both her biological children inherited the trait from Korra. Those eyes were a testament to how dominant that particular water tribe gene was. Ai took a little more after her water tribe heritage; her skin was a light chestnut, but her hair was also black, like Asami and her brother’s.

“Mom,” Wan starts, resting his head on Kimmi’s. He rubs his cheek across her soft tufts of sprouting hair. “Why don't you ever talk about Grandpa or Grandma?”

Asami felt a lump form in her throat as she sat on the bed again. She still had Wan's drawing in her hands.

“It's hard for me to talk about Buddy. My mother died when I was very young, so I don’t have a lot of memories of her and Dad... He died in the Earth Empire invasion. Both of them gave their lives to save mine.” Asami began to tear up.

“Mom, I'm sorry; please don't cry,” Wan says, wrapping an arm around his mother. Asami put the drawings down to embrace her son back. Asami then offers to take Kimmi, and Wan lets her.

“It's okay. I'm so grateful to them both because I would never have the family I have now.” Asami pets Wan's forehead. “I now know why they did it, and I would do the same for any of my children.”

“Even Kimmi?”

“Of course, Buddy. I love you all just as much and more than you will ever know. Now I’ll leave you alone, but please come down for dinner, okay?”

“Okay, Mom.”

***6 months ago***

Asami was hunched over, deep in thought over her sketchbook in the study, when Wan opened the door, startling her.

“Mom, Mumma’s on the phone. She says she needs to talk to you.”

Asami's heart leaps into her throat. It was well after eleven. Korra was currently in The United Earth States; they had just suffered a terrible earthquake in Ba Sing Se.

Asami follows her son to the kitchen, where they keep the phone.

“What are you doing up so late?”

Wan blushes. “Ai and I were hungry...”

Ai sits on the table next to the phone cradle. A cookie in each hand and the big phone comically under the crook of her neck. “So, Mumma, when are you gonna come home? Late-night snack isn't as fun without you.”

“Late-night snack, huh?” Asami asks as she walks towards her daughter.

Korra did not hear Asami and continued to speak. “Soon, Sweetheart. Many people lost their homes, so I need to help them while we build new ones.”

“Mommy’s here!” Ai announces, shoving the cookies in her mouth. “wove woo! Buuuhee!”

Ai quickly scoots her butt off the table and scurries over to Wan’s side in the doorway. Asami smiles at her mischievous daughter.

“Wan, you want to say goodnight to Mumma before returning to bed?” Asami holds out the receiver.

“Mumma is a baby name. Why can’t she go bye, Mom too?”

“Hey, you guys still there?” Korra calls out.

“Wan, are we really having this discussion now? Please say good night.” Asami was losing her patience; this late-night call made her very unnerved.

She passes the receiver to Wan. “Hi, Mom. I just wanted to say goodnight, so goodnight.”

“Goodnight, Buddy; I love you.”

“Love you too. Here's Mom.”

Asami pats her son on the head and then motions for the two kids to leave. They both look back at her reluctantly.

“Please, children, I will tell you all about it in the morning. You must go to bed; it's very late.”

The pair deflate and leave the kitchen.

Satisfied, Asami brings the receiver to her ear. “Korra?” She tries not to let her voice shake.

“Hi, Honey! You sound so nervous, don't worry; I don't have any bad news.”

Asami lets out the breath she’d been holding.

“Aww, I'm sorry I scared you!”

Asami loops the phone’s cord around her finger. “It's just when you're away, and you call late at night. I can't help but get scared….”

“Now I feel terrible, this could have waited till tomorrow, but I was so excited. You know how I get, I don't think, and do something like this.”

“It's okay; I'm used to it after being married to you for this long.”

Korra chuckles. “I'm so lucky…”

“So what is the news? I do need to go to bed soon, too, you know.”

Wan opens the door to his room once he was sure Ai was in her bed. He creeps back down the stairs towards the kitchen and sits down against the wall right before the opening. There was no door, so he could easily hear his mother's.

“So you remember what we talked about a few months ago… About another child again... Well, today, we were clearing away some more debris, and Bolin made the most amazing discovery. It was a baby; she somehow survived a building collapsing. Her mother's body broke the fall… There are so many displaced people that I thought-”

“Yes, of course, Korra.”

“You don't even know what I was gonna ask,” Korra says sheepishly.

“I know you well enough to know where this is going. But yes, we can adopt her.”

Korra breathes a sigh of relief. “Oh, Asami, she's beautiful. I have her here in my room. She's so little; we’ll have a baby in the house again.”

Asami closes her eyes and tries to imagine Korra in some tiny room with this baby. “What do you need me to do?”

“Can you come to get her? There is still so much that needs to be done here, and she needs a lot of care.”

Asami pulls a pen and paper out of a drawer and starts making a list of tasks she must complete before leaving. “What about the children? Should I bring them?”

“I want to see them, but I think it would be best if they stayed at the temple. It's not the safest here right now. It's like post-Kuvira Earth Kingdom all over again.

“Okay, I’ll call Pema in the morning.”

“You've made me very happy, Asami.”

“You too, my love. I'm going to go to bed now. I'll see you in a few days.”

Wan scurried from his spot as he heard his parents wrap up their conversation.

***Friday Night present time***

Date night technically began after Korra, Asami, Bolin, and Opal’s first double date at the Sighing Lotus, but officially became such after the third time they had dinner there. It was a misunderstanding on Bolin’s part, their second dinner. The girls had commented on how they had such a lovely time on their date, so Bolin booked the Sighing Lotus the next time they double-dated. He even got them at the same table.

The girls teased Bolin and had a wonderful evening together. Then the third time the pairs went out, Bolin booked the Sighing Lotus again as a joke. He took the trouble of hiring a driver so the girls wouldn’t know where they were dining that evening.

After that third time, they all agreed they should keep going to the Sighing Lotus every time they double date. Bolin knew they were half kidding, but he thought it was perfect. Fifteen years later and they were still going, usually once a month, sometimes every other, depending on how busy their lives were at the given time.

They did a triple date with Mako and his plus one occasionally, never at the Sighing Lotus. It panged Bolin not to include Mako in something where the rest of “Team Avatar” was involved, but date night was this constant in his life—Bolin treasured constants.

Mako eventually gave up actively dating, which was a relief for Bolin. It was hard to watch Mako try so hard. There was a solid year where he constantly hit them all up to go out and meet this new “terrific” girl Mako met. Then the next time he’d round them all up, it would be some different girl. Bolin never figured out whether it was more Mako feeling left out by not having a partner or because Mako truly wanted a relationship.

“So, is Mako watching the boys tonight?” Asami asks between sips of the wine she was determining was worth ordering a whole bottle of.

Bolin grins and nods. “He’s taken them to a wrestling match.”

“Not one of Varrick’s cheezy masked wrestling shows.”

“Of course it is!"

“I kinda want to check one out sometime.”

“Really?” Asami asks, checking her shoulders into her wife's.

"He gave me some tickets. I got more-" Bolin starts, reaching into his suit jacket.

Korra puts down her glass and accepts the tickets from Bolin.“I think the kids would get a kick out of it.”

“I’ll let you take them; I’ll stay home with Kimmi."

Korra counts the tickets and passes one back across the table. "Since Asami's out."

“I bet the boys would want to go again; Korra, you and I can have a daddy date,” Bolin says, tucking away the ticket.

“That should mean Asami, and I get to do something fun. Drop the baby at the temple, and you, I will hit up a spa.”

“Much better than an afternoon watching a Varrick production.” Asami clinks her glass with Opal's.

Asami's face lights up. “So a little birdie told me your brother’s getting out of prison early? Your mom must be over the moon.”

Opal nods, envisioning her mother back in Zaofu. She was likely prepping Baatar Jr. 's room as they spoke. It had been like a museum for the past fifteen years. Longer even, their mother left it as he did when he ran off with Kuvira.

“Yes, though I know she’s still disappointed she couldn’t do much for him while she was in office.”

“It wouldn’t have been a good look.”

“I know. I think Mom hoped with Kuvira being dead and gone, the people would have had a little less animosity toward her lackeys, but no one was quick to forget the cruelty they inflicted. With or without Kuvira nearby.”

Opal recalled several conversations with her mother, half venting, half testing the waters to see if she could gauge the public temperature around Bataar Jr. They did discuss if a pardon was given to Bataar Jr., it would have to be granted to anyone with a shorter sentence still incarcerated. Her mother did not like that idea. She had no trust in the faceless masses that followed Kuvira. But she never doubted the good in Bataar Jr.

Opal herself felt it was best if her mother just left it alone. Her heart softened towards her brother's betrayal, but she just couldn't imagine managing the self-inflicted mess her mother was flirting with.

“It's hard to imagine it's been fifteen years since all of that." Korra flashes a cheeky grin. "And since you two got married.”

“I can’t believe it took you guys a full two years to get married after us.” Opal waggles two fingers at the couple across from her for emphasis.

“Really?" Korra scrunches her face and looks at Asami. "That meant we dated for around the same length as you two, still a shorter amount of time.”

“Bolin was convinced for a whole year that that wedding invite was coming in the mail any day now. That you two were saying you would wait but would eventually cave.”

“Korra knew I was a sure thing, so that took the pressure off asking, I guess.”

Korra cocks her head to the side. “What?”

“Don’t you remember after their wedding, we talked about it, and I said if you’d asked me right then to marry you, I would have.”

Korra contorts her face trying to recall this conversation. Asami rolls her eyes but smiles.

“Now you see, Asami, I was gonna peg you to be the one to propose. But you two were so mysterious about the whole thing.”

Bolin wiggles from side to side in his seat. “But I knew what was going on.”

“And you kept it a secret." Korra slaps the table a few times. "Something ninety-nine percent of the time you cannot do.”

“I know; I was so proud of myself.”

*** Thirteen Years Ago***

It was a Sunday night dinner, seemingly no different than any other at the Air Temple. Summer was almost over, and the days were warm, but the dusk came sooner every night, along with an evening chill. Korra's parents were in town, so of course, they were invited over for dinner.

The meal was wrapping up. Most people had put their sticks down over their bowls. A few side conversations were happening, but nothing held the group's attention.

Bolin shoots up from his seat and starts slapping his stomach. “Wow, what a terrific dinner, wouldn’t you all agree? Say, how would everyone like to watch some fireworks? I heard on the radio that little Ba Sing Se will be setting some off tonight to celebrate the Harvest Festival. We should be able to see them out in the courtyard.”

People slowly rose from the table while Bolin ushered them through the dining room door. Without notice, Asami, Korra, Ikki, and Jinora snuck out the other door.

Mako and Lin scowl and quietly speculate on why Bolin is so keen for everyone to go outside. Tenzin also appears a little confused and also loiters in the dining room.

“C’mon people, what else have you got planned tonight? " Bolin waves his arms to the doors. "Let’s watch some fireworks!”

Opal put a hand on Bolin’s chest and leaned in. “Why are you pushing this so hard? What are you scheming?”

Bolin blinked a few times, feigning surprise. “What could I possibly be scheming, as you so harshly put it? I just want to ensure no one misses the fireworks on such a beautiful fall evening.”

Opal narrows her eyes but allows herself to be pushed out of the door. Bolin follows closely behind her. They walk together to the yin and yang circle in the courtyard's center. Chairs are set up to overlook the water. They're arranged in two sections, with a walkway between them about the width of two chairs apart. A few people, like Korra's parents, had already claimed a seat while Kya and Pema chatted nearby.

“You really wanted us to watch these, huh?” Opal asks as they head toward some empty chairs. "But when the heck did you set this up?"

Opal spies Hong, Asami's family butler shuffling toward the seating area from the direction of the docks. He wasn't at the dinner but had must of just shown up. Hong carries a bag in one arm and goes to the front of one of the sides of the chairs. He pulls out what looks like two frames. He places one per seat, the images facing forward, so she can't make them out. The older man takes the next empty seat beside them.

Bolin holds Opal’s hand to guide her to a seat, but as she sits but does not join her. He moves to the yin and yang circle to address the group. He turns to his left and waves. Not long after his signal, four acolytes shuffle toward him with a bamboo canopy covered in all kinds of flowers. Petals drift on the breeze as it arrives. Bolin directs them to place it over the ancient symbol.

“Everyone, if you could please take a seat, the event is about to begin! It doesn’t matter where you sit; we’re all friends and family to both brides.”

“Brides?” Mako mutters as he takes a seat next to Opal.

Opal covers her mouth and turns around back to the temple. “They couldn’t be…”

No sooner did Opal utter the words did Ikki enter the courtyard from behind the main temple hall in a little teal dress. She wears a crown of firelilly’s and carries a small basket full of petals. She walks between the two sections of chairs, dropping the occasional petal. Not far behind her came Jinora. She wears a similar dress but has an orange Air Nomad sash around her left shoulder and waste. Together they stand on either side of Bolin in front of the small audience.

Ikki flinches and quickly scurries up to Bolin. She pulls a flower from her basket and motions him to bend over. He obeys, and she tucks the Firelily into his breast pocket like a corsage.

Once the girls and Bolin settle, Asami and Korra appear from behind the building, hand in hand. They also changed outfits. It was the same formalwear they had from Bolin and Opal’s wedding, with the addition of flower crowns made of a mix of fireflies and blue Saxifrage, a flower that grows in the south in the summer.

Pema nudges Tenzin in the side. “Did you know this was happening?”

Tenzin shakes his head furiously. “I’m as shocked as you are.” He turns to look at Korra’s parents. “And as they are.”

Pema leans over Tenzin to get a view of Senna and Tonraq on the other side of the aisle. She's relieved to see a broad smile on Tonraq and even a small one on Senna. Senna catches her eyes, so Pema flashes a grin and a wave as she mouths, “Congratulations.” Senna replies with a little bow.

Pema sits back up as Korra and Asami come up the aisle between them. The couple drops their joined hands to shake Bolin’s and exchange a few words the rest can't hear. Bolin positions Korra and Asami to face each other and to retake each other’s hands.

Bolin clears his throat and gazes at the small group of friends and family. “Thank you all for being here tonight as witnesses to the union between Avatar Korra and the industrious Asami Sato. They wanted me to let you know that after much careful consideration, they decided what they wanted for their wedding was just an intimate gathering amongst their closest family and friends. So please know you are some of their favorite people because you are here tonight."

Bolin gives the audience a few seconds to take in their compliment and the other big wedding bomb he just dropped before reaching out his hands and waving his fingers to get them to focus on him again. "We also ask if everyone would like to take a moment for us all to think about those who could not be here, despite Korra and Asami very much wishing they could be."

Asami sneaks a look back to Hong, who she had spied on her walk to the alter. On two chairs to his left were individual photos of her mother and father.

Hong senses the uncertainty in Asami as she looks at her parents. She has no way of ever truly knowing how they feel about her choice of partner. He catches her eye and mouths as clearly as he can. "They love you."

Asami takes a moment to let the thought in, and when it does, she replies to Hong with a little nod.

Korra gives Asami's hands a little squeeze, bringing her back to the moment. Korra's heart skips a beat as Asami faces her again. She's beautiful, even with the twinge of sadness in her eyes.

“Now I’m sure you’re all thinking, Korra, Asami, I didn’t even know you were engaged?" Bolin starts, recapturing everyone's attention. He comically puts a hand on his hips and the other thoughtfully on his chin. "I learned about this myself only a few weeks ago. Apparently, it hasn’t been that long, so don’t feel left out! Considering how public everything in their lives have been, they determined a private wedding was what they wanted. And once the news finds out, it's gonna be everywhere, so savor this moment ladies. So without further delay, let us begin!”

Bolin turns to Jinora, who stands beside Korra. “Jinora, please dispense the rings.”

Jinora hands each of the women the other’s platinum ring.

Bolin places a hand on the Avatar's shoulder. “Korra, do you take Asami to be your wedded wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer,” Bolin cracked a smile and gave Korra a little nudge. “For richer, for sure,” he mutters.

Korra rolls her eyes and nudges him back.

Bolin composes himself and continues “in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, from this day forward?”

Korra flashes Asami a big grin before saying, “I do.”

Asami takes the ring Jinora gave her and slides it on the ring finger of Korra’s outstretched left hand.

Bolin turns to focus on Asami. “Asami, do you take Korra to be your wedded wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health…”

As Bolin says the words in sickness and health, Asami’s heart clenches for a beat. She thinks back to Korra’s room on the island, not far from where they stand now. Korra is sitting dejected as Asami prepped her for Jinora’s celebration. She loved her even then; she loved her especially then.

Asami sneaks a glance out to the water. She recalls the time on the beach when Korra returned from saving Kuvira. Korra kneeled on the sand before her. She reached out and grasped both of Asami’s hands. “I’m so lucky to have someone in my life who understands me the way you do. I’m so excited about the future, I have no idea what to expect, and that’s what’s making me excited. I do know that I want to spend as much of it with you as I possibly can. I know I promised I’d stop talking about the past, but now I am truly ready to fulfill that promise. I am here, I am present, and I am healed.”

“...to love and to cherish, from this day forward?” Bolin asks, his voice coming back to focus.

Asami looked down at Korra’s smiling face. It suddenly becomes blurry from a wash of tears. Asami moves to wipe them away, but Korra beats her to it. Korra’s soft fingers nudge away the two small trails threatening to wreak havoc on her makeup.

“I’ve dreamt of this moment for so long,” Asami says at a volume only Korra and Bolin can hear.

Korra reclaims Asami’s hands and squeezes them. “I have to.”

“I do,” Asami finally replies, loud enough for everyone to hear. She holds out her left hand to Korra, who in turn reciprocates, placing a ring on her ring finger.

“By the power vested in me and in the eyes of the United Republic, I declare you wife and wife. You may now do the thing.”

“That’s not our catchphrase…” Korra mutters as she puts her arms around Asami’s hips.

Asami moves her own hands to Korra’s shoulders and leans down.“So his material is a little recycled.”

The pair meet in the middle, their lips press together, and everything and everyone around them is forgotten. Until they felt a barrage of Firelily petals rain down on them. They separate, and petals flurry between them.

“Sorry, I air-bent them a little too hard!” Ikki squeaks.

They both let out a sigh as they kiss again. A few more quick pecks, and then they turn to meet the applause of their friends and family. Everyone rose from their chairs to congratulate them. A small crowd cheering of acolytes and airbenders had formed a small way away from the ceremony.

Korra takes one of Asami’s hands as they move into the crowd.

***Friday Night present time***

“I don’t think my mom has ever gotten over you not inviting her.” Opal recalls her mother's frantic call only a few weeks after the wedding. Someone at the county clerk's office must have spilled the news to the papers when the couple filed the marriage license. The news spread through the different periodicals like a brushfire.

“I know, but she was the frickin President of the United Earth States. How were we supposed to get her to casually ask her to show up in Republic City for no reason? We barely got my parents up without tipping them off.” Korra moans.

Opal bruskly turns her head and takes a little sip of water. “I dunno; you didn’t have to make it a surprise wedding to keep it small.”

“You know.” Korra’s eyes narrow. “You’re agreeing much more with your mother as you age.”

“I am not!”

“You kinda are," Bolin adds, joining the argument.

“Bolin!”

“I’m sorry, Honey, but it’s true," Bolin rubs Opal's back. "We're not saying it's a bad thing."

Opal covers her face with her hands. "But it is!"

***

“These cheeks are so chubby!” Yanmei, Ikki's girlfriend, squeals as she dangles Kimmi over her lap. The baby's chunky legs kick, and they try to take little steps. She then settles for bouncing up and down. Yanmei is a couple years younger than Ikki,with oak brown hair and eyes. Third generation Republic City, so she has a very modern look.

They had met in the city; one night when Ikki was out “rehearsing” is what she told her parents, when she wanted to go have some fun with people her own age. Despite Ikki being in her mid twenties, her parents still fussed over her doing anything off the island. 

The couple had just finished putting Ai and Wan to bed and were now enjoying a crackling fire in the living room with Kimmi for a few moments before it was time to put her down too.

“I know, she’s so fricken cute,” Ikki sighs, reaching out and grabbing Kimmi’s legs as they bend and shake.

“So she got a different dad than the other two, right?”

“Different mom, too; she was adopted.”

“Ah, that answers it.” Yanmei swung Kimmi’s legs up so she could plop her down on her lap. “It’s crazy how much the other two look like Mrs. Sato and Avatar Korra.”

Ikki nods. “You have to promise you don’t say anything; this is privileged information.”

“Who the dad is?”

“Yes.”

Yanmei leans closer to Ikki, her eyes large and serious. “I promise.”

“He’s a cousin of Korra’s. Not one she’s close with, like a second cousin or something. He lives in the South. My Aunt Kya made the arrangements and performed the insemination.”

Yanmei picks up Kimmi’s feet and playfully makes them kick a few times. “They wanted more kids. Obviously, cos they got this little bundle of chubs!” 

Ikki relaxes on the couch. She's never forgotten the day Ai was born. She had turned eighteen only a week before and felt very confident in her adulthood. All it took was something scary to happen to make her feel like a little kid again. “Asami had a difficult birth with Ai. Korra got called to go to the Earth Kingdom, so Asami spent most of the time at the temple with me. She was close to her due date and one day just started bleeding.”

“Yikes, I hear that can happen.”

“They’re both fine, obviously, but it was pretty scary for a moment. I never saw someone go so pale so quickly. Fortunately, my aunt Kya was at the temple.” Ikki feels Yanmei take one of her hands and squeezes it. Ikki smiles, comforted.

“Asami told me she would have had as many children as Korra wanted, but Korra wouldn’t let her get pregnant again. Something easy to avoid when you’re two women.”

“It is kinda a perk.” Yanmei chuckles. “What about Avatar Korra? She coulda popped out another kid, or is that not possible for Avatars?”

Ikki shrugs.“Strongly discouraged.”

“Fascinating.”

The two girls go quiet and listen to the crackling of the fire. Kimmi leans back into Yanmei’s chest, her eyes starting to droop.

Ikki turns her body to face her girlfriend and the baby. She dares to squeeze one of Kimmi’s little toes. She just couldn’t resist them. “Kimmi kinda fell into their laps, and I guess they couldn’t say no.”

“I wouldn’t say no to you falling in my lap,” Yanmei tries to say seductively. The two young women stare at each other with serious looks, and then both sputter into laughter. They giggle for a moment but continue holding each other’s gaze. They start to lean together, their eyelids heavy, when the sound of the front door opening startles them.

They jump away from each other as two sets of footsteps draw near.

“Hey, girls,” Korra says with a cheeky grin.

Ikki sticks out her tongue. “Hey, Korra, Asami. How was dinner?”

Korra reaches out her hands, clenching and unclenching her fingers in an effort to steal Kimmi back from Yanmei. The younger girl clutches the baby closer. “Are you sure you must take her back, Avatar Korra?”

Ikki gets up from her seat and moves into the hallway to join Asami.“Yeah, you two are home earlier than I thought you’d be? Didn’t feel like taking a joyride after?”

“Joy ride?” Asami cocks her head. “I think I’m getting a little too old for that these days.”

“You’re only thirty-seven, which normally I’d say is a million years old, but you’re my best friend, and I would never want you to feel self-conscious about your age.”

“Thank you, I think?”

“You don’t look a day over twenty-eight, Mrs. Sato.”

Korra finally wrestles Kimmi from Yanmei and sways back and forth to keep her asleep, hopefully. “Asami is like a fine wine; she just gets better and better as she ages.”

“Alright, I’m sorry I said anything about feeling too old to go joyriding. Korra, next time, we’re staying out past midnight.”

“Whatever you want, dear.”

Asami slides her purse from her hip to her front and fishes around inside. She pulls out a small envelope. “I don’t want to give this to you now, but here is a gift certificate to the Sunset Lounge. A thank you for watching our children on a Friday night when you two spring chickens should be painting the town red.”

Ikki accepts the envelope. “Thank you!”

“You really shouldn’t have; it was my-our pleasure,” Yanmei stammers.

“Don’t feel bad; she owes me for three gigs, one right after the other.”

Asami puts a hand on her forehead. “That reminds me, we need you to watch the kids next Wednesday if you can. Zhu Li is having a fundraising campaign dinner, and we really should show up for that.”

Korra grimaces. “I hate those.”

“No problem,” Ikki says in her sugary sweetest tone. “I should be free. Just call me next week with the time. Oh, that reminds me, I forgot to tell you; I heard back about the part!"

"She got it!" Yanmei squeals.

Korra covers Kimmi's ears to keep her asleep, hopefully. "What part?"

Asami shoots Ikki a look, but it's too late.

"Varrick is doing a big mover of the Badgermole-men invasion, and Ikki will play Asami!" Yanmei says gleefully bouncing on her heals

Korra's face falls. She clutches Kimmi to her chest and swings her body away from the group. "I wish they'd give that one a rest," Korra mutters as she goes to the stairs to put Kimmi to bed.

Yanmei looks around, confused. "What did I say?"

Ikki slaps a hand on her forehead. "Shit, Asami, I forgot I wasn't supposed to discuss it. I just remembered I didn't tell you and got so excited."

"It's fine. Korra would have heard about it eventually."

Asami drives the girls to the docks since Yanmei, of course, couldn’t fly back to the temple like Ikki could have. She noted the two young women appeared to be getting along well. Asami was a bit surprised when Ikki arrived at their home with her in tow. Their conversation earlier that week seemed like they were on the verge of breaking up. Asami knows she can’t say much, given her on-and-off relationships in her youth, but she outgrew that behavior by Ikki’s current age.

"May I ask why Avatar Korra was so upset about the mover?" Yanmei chirps from the back seat. "I remember when it happened. She saved the city, like always. It was amazing."

Ikki shrugs her shoulders. "We honestly don't know why she doesn't like talking about it. Unless you're holding out on me, Asami?”

"It's something Korra won't even discuss with me."

As Asami drives back home, she recalls those first weeks after the event in question. The papers still dedicated most of their news to details of the invasion and the recovery efforts. Asami was very pregnant with Wan and on forced maternity leave, despite her desperately wishing she could help the city planners in reconstruction.

She asked Korra to bring home papers to keep her apprised of what was happening, but she always forgot to pick up certain publications that day. Asami solicited her assistant Kali to pick up the newspapers Korra "missed" and noticed a pattern; all those papers covered Korra's big heroic moment when somehow she managed to save both Asami and a building from collapsing at the same time, bending two different elements from each hand simultaneously. The city loved Korra for it, but the Avatar was reluctant to accept the praise.

Asami wondered if maybe it was the kiss some lucky photographer snapped. Much of that particular invasion is documented because it happened so suddenly that no one evacuated. Citizens watched it all unfold from their balconies.

After Korra bent Asami into her arms from the Badermole-men holding her captive, while still holding the spirit vines to hold the skyscraper upright, she gave Asami a big kiss. Asami, still scared out of her wits from her near death, wasn't feeling romantic or particularly much of anything but was melted by the passion Korra expressed in that kiss. And, of course, that moment when Asamis knees went out, swooning in Korra's arms, got captured, forever preserved in the public's memory, on every cover for two solid weeks.

When Asami arrives home, Korra is waiting for her. Her legs kicked up on the couch, enjoying the simmering embers left of the living room fire. “The last kid is now all tucked in her bed.”

“As should her mother's,” Asami teases.

“But I still want to go joyriding.” Korra slides her feet to the floor, making room for Asami next to her on the couch. She pats the now free space beside her.

“When she said that.” Asami slaps her hands on her cheeks, drags them down her face, and groans. “For a moment, I panicked that she finally figured out why we’d go driving after dinner some nights.”

“There’s no way. Besides, you have the perfect cover, the inventor of the fastest-moving vehicles known to man. Who wouldn’t believe you’d like the thrill of speeding along the hills of Republic City at night.”

Asami sits down beside her wife. She kicks off her shoes and tucks her feet up onto the cushions. “That’s all true, though; she just doesn’t know we stop at the top most of the time.”

“Best view in the city, Ching-Longs Point, or as the youths call it, make-out-point.” Korra flashes her lopsided grin and leans closer to Asami. Asami playfully pushes her back to her side of the couch.

“It would probably be even more of a fun spot if we were still youths. It seems silly sometimes when I think about the home and bed we could go to instead. We don’t need to sneak around.”

“I like experiencing those awkward teen things I didn’t get to do with you.” Korra’s arms rise, cup the back of her head, and leans back. She conjures the fantasy she goes to when they're up on the cliff; they're teen sweethearts having this secret love affair. Asami’s car and the remote look out the only place they felt safe and alone. They never hid their relationship. Hours after confessing, they were at the temple telling it to their closest friends and then all of Republic City a few months later. Korra now knows that having to hide is an unfortunate reality for many people, and it’s not fun.

Korra knows she has this fantasy of it likely because their relationship has been so public. And perhaps a part of her wishes she had clued into her feelings sooner. Even after fifteen years together, Korra regrets wasting time being a mixed-up teen. But Zhou Rhen always reminds her that every decision has led her to the person she is now. Had things been different, her life with Asami might not have come to be. But still, Korra liked to pretend, and a little pretending never hurt anyone.

“Regardless of how old we are, I always feel twenty when I’m with you.”

“You make me feel young too, Babe.” Asami tucks a lock of hair that escaped from the tight bun she had done up for their dinner date. “ I just sometimes wonder how you can still want me after all these years….”

Korra jerks up from her relaxed position. “You still want me, right?”

“Of course, but you're still cut from stone and the most magnetic person I’ve ever met.”

Korra’s palms go to the couch seat, and she crawls closer to her wife.
“Asami, when you told me you liked me back, this aching pressure in my chest that there was something fundamentally wrong with me evaporated.”

Korra takes Asami’s legs and pulls them so they are flat along the cushions, turning Asami’s body in her direction. “To me, you are the wildest and most thrilling flame, and I’m a helpless moth. I’ve never told you this before, but I hear a whisper from my past putting to words that feeling that I have. It says, ‘ like the moth to the flame to the coal’.

Korra collects both of Asami’s hands and brings them to her lips. Pale and elegant in her darker and stubbier ones, but both were scarred from hard work and many battles. Korra kissed every pale scar she could find. “It feels like I have loved you for centuries, but it's the love of a thousand lives who have loved and know what love is and are affirming to me without a shadow of a doubt that is what I feel for you.”

The last words barely escape Korra’s lips as she feels Asami unexpectedly pins her to the couch. The hands once holding her wife were now pinned to the armrest. Asami’s lips were everywhere on Korra’s, and she’d happily suffocate this way.

Korra’s wrists struggle to free themselves, eager to touch, grasp, and explore, but ultimately must submit. Asami has the upper hand of gravity, keeping them pressed down. Frustrated, Korra bucks her hips, then chest, a repeated lapping wave of her body into Asami’s. Asami reciprocates with her own body, quicking, losing herself in the rhythm.

Korra can feel Asami’s grip loosen and seize her moment to free her hands. They move right to Asami’s hips. Korra pulls herself up into a seated position, Asami now in her lap. Korra rises, taking her wife with her. She turns around to drop Asami back onto the couch and kneels before her.

“You carried two of our children and mother our third. Every day I want you more than the last."

Korra brushes her fingers along the sides of Asami’s right ankle, teasing the skin before gripping the back of it. As she bows her head, she pulls Asami’s leg closer until her lips press to the freshly shaved smooth skin. Korra looks up to ensure Asami is watching, and she is intently. “The thought of you not in my life and sharing my bed takes the air from my lungs.”

Asami leans forward and grasps Korra’s face in her hands. Icy blue eyes sparkle back at her. Even after all this time, she still sees new shades, new depths in her Wife’s eyes. “We need to go there now.”

“To that bed we share?”

“Yes,” Asami whispers as she brings their faces together.

To be continued...

Chapter 54: Smolder

Notes:

This story isn't dead. Thank you for your patience.

Chapter Text

**Eleven Years ago***

Korra and Asami were having a lazy Sunday morning in their bedroom. Korra had made a treat run to a little bakery on the corner and returned with an assortment of pastries. While she was out Asami made some tea. Once together again, they drifted back to their bedroom and slid under their covers to enjoy their breakfast. 

Asami eventually slips out of bed to use the bathroom. When done she catches herself in the mirror and turns to the side. 

“Korra, come in here.”

“Yeah?” Korra pokes her head into the bathroom.

Asami turns around to face her, her shirt pulled up over her stomach. “I think I’m starting to show.”

Korra grins and moves closer. “Let me see.” She gets down on her knees in front of

Asami and splays her hands on the bare skin. Korra cocks her head to see Asami’s stomach from the side. 

“Well, what do you think?”

“Hold on, I haven't taken all the measurements.” Korra moves her hands over Asami’s stomach in sudo scientific-looking ways. “Hmm, very interesting.”

“What is it?”

“I’m pretty sure there is a baby in there.”

Asami groans and gently pushes Korra away by her shoulders. 

“No wait, I feel like I can sense them now. Kya taught me what to feel for it,” Korra says, reattaching herself to Asami’s abdomen. Her hands run across the skin and she notes if it feels a little different. 

“Really?”

Korra’s eyes slide close to focus. “I feel the softest little patter.”

“Their heartbeat?”

“Yeah,” Korra lets her hands fall from Asami’s stomach, and she wraps them around her waist. She rests her chin below her belly button and looks up. 

Asami is eagerly looking down. Her eyes are searching and wild. “Do you think it’s safe to start letting people know?”

“It’s been about twelve weeks now? I think so.”

“I want to tell your parents first,” Asami says, reaching down to pet Korra’s hair. 

The Avatar grins. “You know we could go tell your parents too. Probably time we got back over there to clean the stone.”

It was a bit past four when they arrived at Asami’s parent’s graveyard, located a little way outside of the city. A warm summer afternoon, Asami shields herself from the sun with a parasol while Korra goes to fetch some water in a bucket. 

Asami approaches her family stone and lets out a little sigh. Hiroshi’s remains were recovered and buried beside Yatsuko when the chaos of the city’s reconstruction had died down a bit. Asami did it very quietly. Still unsure of how the rest of the world felt about the complicated man that was her father. 

Korra soon joins her with a wooden bucket of water, a ladle, and a coarse brush. She quickly took to work scrubbing the top and side of the gray stone, where the most moss and lichen had started to grow. 

Asami watches, her eyes roaming over the engraved words. On the top rectangular stone was the family name in large characters. On the stone laid flat below it, are her parents' names, year of birth, and date of death. Hiroshi’s death year still looked cleaner and fresher than the other engraving.

Once Korra was satisfied, she eased herself off the ground and did a quick inspection. Flicking off the occasional stray chunk of moss. 

Asami reaches into her purse and pulls out a thin box of incense. Korra pinches out a few sticks and sticks them in a hole in the stone. A flame appears at the tip of her thumb and pointer finger, and she uses it to light the incense.

She then steps beside Asami to face the stone directly. Asami’s free hand found Korras. “Mom, Dad, I wanted you two to be the first to know we’re going to be having a baby. This is something we both really want, and are so excited it’s happening.”

“I promise I will take care of your daughter,” Korra says with a small bow. She looks at Asami. “Even though she’s really the one taking care of me.”

Korra then passes the ladle handle first to Asami and then offers the bucket of water. Asami scooped up some water and then pours it over the tombstone. Korra takes the ladle and repeats the gesture.

“We should probably get out you of the hot sun,” Korra says as she pops the ladle and brush into the bucket. 

Asami nods and then steals a look back at the stone. A hand slides to her belly in an instinctive gesture she soon would be repeating for the next several months. 

“Bye, mom and dad.”

 

***Present Time***

On the island of Hamashima, one of many that make up the Fire Nation, in a small auditorium near the coast, stands Jinora at a lecture podium. No longer a child. Her thirtieth birthday was only a few weeks after she planned to be back home in Republic City. The year with the White Lotus slipped by faster than she anticipated it would. 

Jinora faces a room of about fifty White Lotus members of varying ages and disciplines. She’s reached the end of her Spirit World Basics seminar and is now taking questions. 

One of the men in attendance raises his hand. “Master Jinora, is it still your hypothesis that the passage of time in the Spirit World did shift around fifteen years ago?”

Jinora takes little time to consider the question. She brushed her long hair back, off her shoulder, but found very little there. In a bolder moment this past year, she cut off the front of her hair, an homage to Avatar Yangchen. She liked being able to see more of her tattoo, without having to be completely bald like her father. She was curious how her family would react to such an old-world look. “Yes, I believe the third Spirit Portal that was opened by Avatar Korra in Republic City somehow altered time in that world. This is based on the fact the spirit portal’s creation was the only major event I think capable of causing this world change. I openly admit I don’t know the mechanics of how this could be possible. Wong Shi Tong’s library has moved and I have not been able to find its new whereabouts. Also, humans have lost favor with the library's keeper.

“Many of the Spirit World's creatures have gone colder on humans. Harmonic Convergence restored airbending, and brought our two worlds closer, with a bit of an adjustment period. I think the new Spirit Portal may have pushed our relationship with the Spirit World to its limit, which is why I, the Air Nation, and Avatar Korra, heavily campaigned for it to remain closed to the public. The original poles are in secluded areas and have thousands of years of reverence. The third portal is in a bustling downtown. The energies are not in sync. The new proximity to human energy could even be the cause of the time shift. I’ve been studying the Spirit World for fourteen years and I still know so little about how it functions.”

A hand goes up. “And the Tigerpillar Spirit? Is it still guarding the portal entrance?”

“No, he eventually moved on. I have seen him storming through the Spirit World on a few occasions, but he did not see me. This spirit seems to be especially prone to anger.” Jinora glances at her watch. “I do believe that is all the time we have, but you are welcome to write to me with any questions you have at the Air Temple.”

The room claps for a few moments and the group gets up from their seats and starts to shuffle out of the room. An older man with a kind face and a long white beard comes to Jinora’s side and takes her arm. 

“I hope you know how much we appreciate your willingness to give the same lecture so many times.”

“It’s important to base knowledge of the Spirit World and the three portals. I'm sorry Master Jinwa that I can’t stay long enough for everyone to hear it,” Jinora says apologetically. 

“Don’t worry,” Master Jinwa huffs, walking Jinora to the exit. “We’ve transcribed it for the stragglers. The White Lotus is better connected than it has ever been, but it’s still hard to get everyone on the same page across the four nations. Many members like you call somewhere other than a White Lotus compound home.”

The two stop at the doorway. 

Jinora blushes. “Just keeping up the family tradition.”

“You won’t be a stranger, will you?” Jinwa asks with a little squeeze of Jinora’s arm before he lets it go.

“I’ll try not to be.”

Zhou Rhen appears at the pair's side. “Did I miss the lecture?”

“Very much so,” Master Jinwa snorts. He moves to smack Zhou Rhen but he evades the attack.

“It’s not a big deal, Zhou Rhen’s already been twice,” Jinora offers.

Zhou Rhen gives a little bow. “I’m here to escort you to your farewell dinner.”

Master Jinwa’s face perks up. “Oh that’s right, I best go get changed. I’ll meet you kids there.”

The pair watch the old man amble away, disappearing into one of the many buildings on the compound. Zhou Rhen and Jinora look at each other awkwardly for a moment. 

“Do you need to change?” 

Jinora takes a pinch of robe with each hand and tugs at them. “I’m fine with what I’m wearing unless you think I’m underdressed.”

“No!” Zhou Rhen violently shakes his head. “You look very nice, as always.” He holds out an arm and clears his throat. “Shall we go?”

Jinora takes his arm but shields her face from his, so he can’t see the slight pinkening on her cheek.

 

***

It was a cooler evening in Republic City. Out front of the Sato home Mako sat idling in his police car. He checks his watch for the fifth time that minute to confirm once again Korra is running late. 

The sound of a door closing takes Mako’s attention from his watch to the windshield. He spies Korra jogging to the passenger side door. She flings it open and throws her body in.

“You’re late,” Mako grumbles.

Korra fastens her lap belt. “Sorry, I was having trouble getting Kimmi down.”

“So what did you tell Asami this time?” Mako asks as he shifts to reverse and turns the vehicle around to exit the driveway. 

“You’re having girl problems and wanted to grab a drink.”

Mako scowels. “Great, an excuse that requires me to make something up.”

“You’ve had enough girl trouble you don’t need to strain too much to come up with some story.” 

“Asami’s going to start thinking we’re having an affair if you don’t start telling her what we’re actually doing.”

Korra puts her feet up on the dash and ponders Mako’s concern for a millisecond then shakes her head. Asami would never doubt her faithfulness, especially with Mako. After all these years it was hard to imagine she and Mako had ever dated. 

He was so much a brother to her now. 

After Asami found out about the Kuvirakiss, Korra made sure to let Asami know of any other flirtatious behavior or acts directed her way. The frequency of other people making a pass at the Avatar, even after her public marriage announcement was surprising. It rarely happened in front of Asami, more often on missions Asami had to sit out.

Korra can admit there were a few notable people who stood out as an extra temptation, but she always remained faithful. No dalliance was worth risking what she had with Asami. Yet here she was, lying all the same about something stupid. 

Mako turns off of Main and into a side street, he slows the Satomobile down so they can peer down the allies they pass by. “Can’t you just be honest with her? Why are you being so secretive about this?”

“I dunno, since getting back from the United Earth States I’ve been restless. If we didn’t have the new baby I think I would feel less guilty.”

Mako steers to the side of the street and turns off the vehicle. 

“I’m over the moon for Kimmi, don’t get me wrong. The world has just been so quiet, and that earthquake was the first big thing to happen in a couple of years. I hadn’t been needed or bent that much in so long, it just reminded me of being the Avatar again.”

“Korra, you’re the Avatar in those big moments but also all the small ones.”

Korra bows her head and nods it a few times. “I know, I know.” 

“So, when you get home you’re going to tell your wife what you’ve been up to.”

Korra starts down the alley. Mako throws out a hand and snags her by the shoulder, jerking her back. Korra pulls her body away a bit, but Mako holds tight. She could easily break away but stops.

“Okay, I will.”

Mako drops his hand. “So it’s over here.” 

The two come to a cellar door. It was sloppily painted black. Bits of the original green color peaked through in streaks. In the center of the two doors, right on the crack, a red handprint, facing upright, the fingers splayed.

“The gang members I’ve been talking to at the station all have been mentioning this new operation in the underworld. So far we haven’t picked up anyone associated with criminal activity and the goons I’ve spoken to said their behavior is perplexing for what seems to be a criminal organization.”

“How so?” Korra asks.

Mako nudges a bit of gravel by the edge of the cellar door with his foot. “They’re not committing any crimes, except making purchases with criminals.”

“That we know of,” Korra quips back. 

“Religious cult has been thrown around by some of the guys.”

Korra puts her hand on the wall near the doors and peers down at the symbol. “I mean, bloody hand prints are creepy.”

Mako gestures to the building across the way. “I figured we could get access to this building and stake out the joint.”

“A stake out, that takes me back to the Misty Palms.”

“Yeah, you’re one and only time staking out. You know that’s a major part of my job, sitting and waiting? And the paperwork I get  to do afterward. You see you’re lucky as the Avatar, you can just swing in here, rough up a couple of thugs, and move on. I muss up a couple of goons and I’m doing paperwork the rest of the week.”

“When do we start tomorrow?”

“I figure at the same time as tonight, with Asami’s permission.”

 

***

Zhou Rhen touches the envelope he has stashed in his pocket for the fiftieth time that night at dinner. He was almost out of time. Well, per his personal deadline, he was. Jinora had been with him at the White Lotus compound in Hamashima for a full year and he vowed to himself he would confess his feelings in some manner before she left.  

Of course, he was able to talk himself out of saying anything at the beginning of her stay, what if she rejected him and they had a whole year together? Well, worst case he could have gone to another compound or spent time with Avatar Korra in Republic City. She  still called on him so little, Zhou Rhen had to come up with reasons to see her. The new baby was his current excuse to show up a few weeks after Jinora. 

Another reason he told himself to not confess to Jinora right away, was maybe after seeing her all the time, he would lose interest. Perhaps it was the longing that kept his interest, but that didn’t happen. After a year of really getting to know the woman and working alongside her, his attraction grew all the more. 

Then there were all the other reasons. The ten-year age difference, especially because when they met that age gap was not appropriate. Zhou Rhen of course was not interested in her when she was a teenager. He admired Jinora greatly then, so impressed by a girl who was wise beyond her years. He knew she was destined for greatness.

The attraction started after the birth of Ai. Zhou Rhen spent a long period at the Air Temple to support Avatar Korra through Asami’s troublesome delivery. Avatar Korra was very spooked by almost losing her wife. They had many late-night sessions then because she was always so afraid of people seeing her need his help. She felt that if people saw her going to him, it meant she was really struggling.

Zhou Rhen lets out a long sigh. That sentiment of course could have been avoided if Avatar Korra just used him more casually, verses seeking his counsel only after trauma. After all these years Zhou Rhen has let most of that go. That is Avatar Korra’s problem, not his. 

Zhou Rhen never forgot the night she woke him at the temple. It was the night after those goofy badgermole men attacked Republic City. He was exhausted, everyone was because they had all been up for forty-eight hours straight. That night, even the awful hard mattress of his room at the Air Temple felt like a bed of feathers. So of course on that night at 1 in the morning, Avatar Korra would come knocking. 

Avatar Korra had faced her greatest fear, or so he had thought. The choice, the big choice that most Avatars must face at one point in their lives. But Avatar Korra to this day doesn’t believe she truly did, and if she did she failed because she could not choose. 

Zhou Rhen had never seen anyone so disgusted with themselves as he saw her in that moment. He was advised by his master that it could break an Avatar, but Zhou Rhen never fully believed that was possible until that night. 

Zhou Rhen slumps in his seat a bit, looking out to all the tables of slightly drunk and jovial White Lotus members. The choice of duty or love? Saving the world or the ones you love? The people you love need the world to live in, so you have to save the world. Zhou Rhen was grateful his choices never felt that big. But that was the burden of the Avatar, the price of all that strength and power. 

An elbow on Zhou Rhen’s side, from his friend Hu, jerks him from his thoughts. “I think Master Jinora is heading out,”

Zhou Rhen shoots up in his seat and sees that the seat to his left is now empty. He swivels his head until he spies Jinora near the door, talking with a few older gentlemen. It’s clear she’s trying to make a quiet exit, but they keep drawing her back into the conversation. 

“It’s that Yangchen hair I think that does it for those old guys,” Hu says with a playful smirk. “And granddaughter of the Avatar. Closest most of these guys will get.”

“She is so much more than her lineage.”

“I know it’s not like that for you.” Hu sits up a little straighter in his seat. “I think she’s finally convinced them to let her leave. Better make your move.”

Zhou Rhen jumps up from his chair and one of his knees collides with the table leg. Hu covers his mouth with his hand to stifle a laugh. Zhou Rhen grimaces but continues after Jinora.

By the time Zhou Rhen reaches her side, the throbbing in his knee has lessened enough for him to focus on his mission. “Walk you back to the women’s dorm?”

“The second escort of the day from you. You worried something bad is going to happen to me on my last day?”

Zhou Rhen shakes his head. “I just want to get a little more time with you.”

They exit the building and the cool breeze hits their faces. The compound is very well-lit at night, blocking out what could be a beautiful view of the night sky. The walk to the women’s dorms was quick, Zhou Rhen was running out of time.

“You’re going to be back at the temple in a couple of weeks, right?”

“Yes, I’ll be doing my check-in with Avatar Korra about the new baby.” Zhou Rhen stops walking.

“I’m so excited to meet her,” Jinora sighs. “Ikki’s told me she has the chunkiest little legs. There is also something very cute about Korra’s maternal side. Probably the contrast of a big tough Avatar cooing over a baby.”

Jinora notices she is walking alone. She turns around to see Zhou Rhen holding out an envelope. 

“I, uh, don’t want you to read this now. Open it when you get back to Republic City.”

Jinora takes a few steps to be close enough to grasp the letter from Zhou Rhen. He then bows. 

“Goodnight and safe travels tomorrow.”

Before Jinora had a chance to process and respond, Zhou Rhen was turning the corner and out of sight. 

 

***

Korra gently closes the front door of their home, but it doesn’t matter, Asami is curled up on the couch in the living room with a book. She looks up when she hears Korra.

“So how’d it go with Mako?”

“We were staking out a potential criminal organization. There was no girl trouble.”

Asami rests her book in her lap. “ Mako hasn’t had girl trouble for over a year.”

“I should have been honest.” Korra bows her head and looks at her hands.

“So should I.” Asami gets up from her seat, tossing the book on an end table. 

“Mako called a few weeks ago and told me what was going on.”

“Mako…” Korra curses under her breath. “You don’t need to apologize, he urged me to come clean and I didn’t.”

“I’m not that upset.” Asami saunters towards her wife. “I knew mostly where you were and who you were with and figured you’d tell me when you were ready.” 

Asami gently slides a hand down Korra’s cheek, then gives it a firm swat. “But next time, don’t wait so long.”

“Yes, darling.” 

Asami returns to her to the loveseat and pats the vacant spot next to her. Korra joins her. 

“So, any big discoveries?”

Korra slumps her body towards Asami, resting her head on her shoulder. “Not yet. Could be nothing. I just want to feel like part of the action again.”

“I know. I’m sorry your job is so inconsistent. My career highs and lows are by a much smaller margin. Do you want to hire a sitter for Kimmi during the day?”

Korra lifts her head. “No, I love being home with her and here when the children get home. I think I just need a little adventure for a couple of nights a month.”

“I can give you that.”

Korra lays her head down again and lets out a long sigh. “How did I ever get so lucky marrying you?” 

“Mom?”

Asami and Korra both raise their heads and swivel them to the hallway entrance. Wan stands in the doorframe. He’s in his pajamas, holding a pile of sheets.

“I had an accident.”

“It’s okay Buddy, it happens.”

The two women get up and stand by their son. Korra holds out her hand for the sheets and Wan passes them. 

“Bring me the jammies after you change the bed,” Korra says, taking the sheets to the laundry room. 

Asami and Wan head upstairs to his room to turn the bed over. She asses the bed and it’s soaked to the mattress.

“Let’s put you in the guest room tonight. Grab your book,” Asami says, gesturing to the bedside table. She goes to his dresser and pulls out a fresh pair of pajamas. 

“Change and leave the dirty ones on the floor. I’ll come back for them.”

Wan waits for Asami to leave to change. He then grabs the book and finds his mother in the other room. Asami has pulled down the duvet and covers of the guest bed and Wan slips inside. She puts the blankets back up to his chest. 

“I had a bad dream,” Wan whispers.

“Do you want to tell me about it?”

Wan things for a moment, looking down at the blankets. “I was in a scary red forest and someone was following me. I fell into a pool of red water and it felt like I was drowning. Then I woke up.”

“That sounds scary.” Asami runs her fingers through the dark hair atop Wan’s head. “But it was just a dream. Why don’t you read a little and get some fresh thoughts in your head.”

“Okay.”

Asami kisses his forehead with a few pecks and then heads towards the door. 

“Sleep tight, Buddy.”

 

*** 6 months ago***

The late morning sun warmed Ikki’s face as she sat cross-legged in the courtyard of Air Temple Island. It had been a minute since she meditated, but due to her recent break-up, she had a lot more time on the island. 

She honestly wasn’t too upset about the relationship ending, Arria was pretty hot and cold with her. Guessing her mood had grown exhausting. The past couple of weeks had been very grounding. 

“Ikki?”

Ikki peaks open her eyes and are level with her mother's robes. She tilts her head back to meet Pema’s face. “Everything okay?”

“Asami just dropped off the kids; we’re watching them for a bit while she goes to the United Earth States. Of course, I have some new acolytes I need to get settled. Can you watch them for a bit?”

Ikki nods. 

As advised, she finds Avatar's two children sitting around their kitchen table. Wan has a book in front of him, and Ai is coloring with some paper and crayons. Ikki playfully pokes her head through the doorframe and into the room.

“Hello, Wan and Ai; so you’re crashing with us for a bit?”

“Uh-huh! Mommy and Mumma went to the United Earth States to get another baby. Cus that's where babies come from!”

Ikki giggles and takes a seat next to Ai. “That’s so exciting, a new baby!” She slides one of the young girls' doodles closer and inspects it. It appears to be an air bison.

“Babies don’t come from the UES, Ai.” Wan chides.

“But Mumma was in the United Earth States before Mommy had me. Then she hurried back home cus she heard I was due. Mumma brought me from the United Earth States for Mommy to have me. And now they are doing it again.”

Ikkie decided it was time to intervene between the siblings. “Have your mothers told you how you were uh…made?”

“No, but I figured it out.” Ai chirps proudly.

“I learned about how babies are made at school, and it's not possible. Korra isn't our Mother. Two Moms can't make a baby. Mom made a baby with our dad."

Ai scowls. “We don't have a dad. We have a Mommy and a Mumma. Some families are like that. Some families only have one Mom or Dad. Didn't they teach you that at school?”

Wan slams his book closed and pounds it with his fist. “Yes, but they haven't taught you how it actually works yet because you're still a baby yourself!”

“Maybe we should talk about something else…” Ikki mutters to herself. “How about we go feed the Bison!" Ai hops right up and scurries to Ikki’s side. They take each other’s hands. “Wanna come, Wan?” 

Wan remains seated at the table. 

Ikki squeezes Ai’s hand and bends down to her level.“Hey, why don’t you get a head start Ai, and I’ll be right behind you?” 

Ai nods and leaves the room. Once she’s out of sight, Ikki moves to sit next to the young man. 

“Hey Wan, would you like to talk to me about anything?”

“No, I have enough girls in my life to talk to. I don't need another.” Wan said with a pout.

 

“You seem to have a lot of hostility. Is something going on at home?”

“No. Mom's going to the Earth Nation to spend time with Korra and get another baby, and she left us here with you guys at this boring temple.” Wan shoves his book down the table for emphasis. 

“Are you upset about the new baby? Are you worried your moms will give you less attention?”

“I don't care.”

“Why aren't you calling Korra Mumma?”

“Cus, that's a baby name, and I’m turning eleven soon. Besides, she isn't my Mumma anyway.”

“Wan, I know that your mothers did not have you and Ai in the traditional way, but they love you; Korra loves you just as much as if she gave birth to you herself. Family isn't just biology; families are made. Love is thicker than blood.”

“Whatever,” Wan mumbles, turning his body away from the Airbender. He reaches out for the book he shoved away earlier and opens it up again to read it. 

Ikki bows her head for a moment and then rises from her seat at the table. Wan does not look up to watch her leave. 

 

***

It had been a few days since Wan and Ai were dropped off at the Air Temple. Wan peeked an eye open to Tenzin beside him. As he hoped the old man was asleep, not meditating. Though not a bender, Korra and Asami encouraged Wan to form a connection with the spirit realm. This meant meditation practice with Tenzin or Jinora. 

Wan preferred Tenzin because the old man was prone to falling asleep, meaning he could walk away for a little bit. Today he wanted to explore his newly developed skill of entering the Spirit World. 

It happened the day before, for the briefest moment he was in a field of giant flowers. He looked up the stalks and they towered over him like trees. They slowly swayed in the breeze, their petals casting a patchwork of shadows on the grass below. 

A hand on Wan’s knee startled him from the dream-like world and he was back on Air Temple Island.  

“That was another good attempt,” Tenzin said, patting Wan a few more times. “Why don’t we go get a little lunch?”

Today, Wan hoped he could get a little farther in his exploration. It did not take long for Tenzin to start gently snoring. 

Wan’s spirit materialized into the Spirit World, or so he hoped. He found himself surrounded by a thick fog. He pressed forward nearly stepping off a small ledge had he not caught himself first. Wan fell back and landed on his rear. Once he stopped moving he could see his surroundings a bit better. Before him was a small grove of skeletal-looking trees with deep red leaves. He looked up and saw he was sitting beneath one of the strange trees.

“Hello,” A raspy male voice called out.

Wan flinched and looked around but couldn’t see anyone. “Tenzin? He dared to ask, even though he knew it was not him.

“No,” The man said as he stepped from behind the tree and revealed himself. He looked almost as old as Tenzin but was much shorter. He had a mane of gray hair that connected with his long beard. Despite gray hair everywhere else, eyebrows were still black, a scarred notch went through his left brow. Dark eyes intensely locked on Wan as he moved closer. 

Wan took a few steps back but knew he didn’t have far to go before he fell into that eerie red river. 

“So tell me, how does a boy find himself in Xai Bau’s grove?”

Wan debated telling the man who his parents were and that he should back off immediately when he saw the man sit down beneath the tree. Wan felt a little less threatened and relaxed.

“I meditated here.”

“Not many children can meditate into the Spirit World. But you know Master Tenzin, so this must mean you are an Airbender.”

Wan felt his throat tighten. This man was way too close to the truth with so little information. “I am.”

“Do you know what brought you to this place?”

“I don’t know how I ended up here.”   

“Do you know who Xai Bau is?”

Wan shook his head.

“That’s not surprising.” The man bowed his head. “Your Master is only teaching you a fraction of what you should know about history and the world.”

“How do you know Tenzin?” Wan tentatively asks. 

“Airbending masters generally know each other. But you should not speak of me to him.”

“How come?” Wan felt a strange urge to step closer but knew better to do so with a stranger, so he shuffled his feet nervously in place. 

“He’ll tell you to stay away from me.”

“Why?”

The man smiles.“Because I am a man with dangerous ideas.”

“Like what?” 

“If you are able to find me again, perhaps I’ll tell you a few.” The man's spirit fades and Wan is left alone.

 

*** Present Time***

Jinora’s stomach began to flip once the docks of Air Temple Island came into focus. It was like it was only sinking in now, how long she had been away from home. A full year with the White Lotus. The longest, only next to her time tracking down other airbenders with Korra. 

It wasn’t as hard as she thought it would be. Maybe that was thanks to her busy schedule or maybe she was ready to spread her wings a little bit more. This didn’t have to be the end of her adventures. She could take trips, just not as long as this one. See the world, but still tends to her responsibilities at home. Her father had just turned seventy. Tenzin was still as sharp as ever, but he did tire more easily. His meditations more often became naps than not. Jinora smiles at the thought of her father. She has so much to tell him.

Feeling the chill of the ocean air, Jinora sticks her hands in her robe pockets and her left hand settles on Zhou Rhen’s mysterious letter. She planned on reading that later tonight. Her parents of course are having a welcome home dinner for her tonight. All the usual suspects should be there. Fortunately, her trip back took a couple of days, but it still felt like she just went to a “big send-off dinner.” 

Tenzin, Pema, and Rohan meet her at the docks. Ikki was in town, rehearsing for her next mover. Jinona tried not to roll her eyes. She thought acting’s allure would wear off of her little sister, but it never did. 

Rohan turned eighteen while Jinora was away. She was only gone a year, but when you’re his age that still makes a big difference in appearance. He appears strong and confident in his wheelchair. Still using a similar model to the one their grandmother had originally commissioned. He found the lower model provided more stability. Airbending never came to him. Jinora was curious if he had settled on what he wanted to do with his life. He could work at the temple of course, but if something else was his calling, the family understood. 

“So, what have I missed?” Jinora asks as they walk back to the main building.

“I’m going to be in the finals of a Pai Sho competition next week,” Rohan boasts.

Jinora quirks her head.“They have those?”

“They apparently are quite the big deal in certain circles,” Tenzin says with a bit of a huff. “Your brother has pretty much devoted the year you were gone to the game.”

“I knew you played sometimes when you were younger, but I had no idea you were so passionate.”

“It is a recent obsession. One day when I was taking a stroll along the waterfront on the city side I found a group of people playing it in the park. I joined a game and now I’m hooked.”

“What do you get if you win the competition?”

“Five thousand Yuans,” Rohan starts. He steals a glance up at his father. “Some of 

which I would donate to a good cause, of course.”

“Of course,” Jinora repeats.

 

***

That evening the temple was bustling with commotion from their guests. It was a bit cold once the sun went down so they kept the festivities inside in the larger communal dining hall. They opted for buffet-style eating, so everyone could just move around and mingle. This made things easier with the younger ones who had a lot of energy.

Jinora found a good spot in the corner with Korra and her new baby. Jiniora had Kimmi in her lap, giddily altering between trying to stand and plopping back on her butt. Her tiny hands tightly gripped onto a couple of Jinora’s fingers for support. 

“That’s crazy how Bolin found her.”

“I know,” Korra sighs.

“Are you going to try and locate family at some point?”

“We would, but we couldn’t get an identification of the mother.” Korra thinks back on the days after they found Kimmi. She was very torn between her Avatar duties and the instinct to care for that fragile baby waiting in her room. It took Asami a little longer to get to Ba Sing Se, since she needed to campaign for aid from Republic City and coordinate the supplies. 

Korra was so relieved when she saw her wife. She brought goods the city desperately needed and the piece of mind Korra needed. They slipped away for just a few moments so Asami could meet the baby. They found Kimmi asleep in Korra’s bed where they left her. She wasn’t totally alone, a nurse tending the wounded at their camp was checking in on her. 

When her door closed, Korra for the briefest moment was able to tune out the devastation all around her and be in the moment of witnessing her wife sit next to their possible new child. 

Asami gently eases herself on the bed, causing a little motion as she can. She brushes a few fingers along the soft little hair on her head. Just a few wisps of brown strands. Korra joins Asami on the other side of Kimmi. The couple lock eyes. Korra senses some hesitation from her wife. 

“Are you sure we can keep her?” Asami whispers. “I don’t want to fall in love with this baby only to find out she’s got a family looking for her.”

“The government is willing to surrender her to our care. I have the papers, we just need to sign them. But I haven’t been able to allocate a lot of time to make sure there is no next of kin.” 

Asami gives a little nod and looks back down at the baby. She spies a few healing scabs on her little arm. They looked so raw and rough contrasted on her supple young skin. “I’m going to see what I can find out about her.”

Korra breaths a long sigh out of her nose. She was satisfied with moving forward with the adoption, but she didn’t want Asami to have any doubts. “Okay.”

Asami scoots closer to her wife. She slides a hand on Korra’s thigh. “If this doesn’t work out, we’ll look into adopting in the city, okay?” 

Asami was able to satisfy her doubts. Kimmi’s mom was likely a single mother who immigrated from a small town to Ba Sing Se. This was a pretty common narrative. Korra knows that one day she will need to have a conversation with her daughter about her past. She may even want to go back to Ba Sing Se, do her own research about where she came from. 

This conversation reminded Korra she needed to get back there and see what else could be done in Ba Sing Se. She stayed another couple of weeks after Asami left with Kimmi. “I need to go back to Ba Sing Se soon and check in on things. Wanna come?”

“Of course. I was just thinking about how I need to continue to get off the island more. Before my year away, I was a bit of a homebody. My world has gotten a little bigger now.”

“So, full-fledged White Lotus now?”

“I’m the enemy.”

The two chuckle. 

“Zhou Rhen isn’t too far behind you, right? He’ll be here in a week or two.”

Jinora thinks for a moment about the letter in her pocket. She debates bringing it up to Korra, but she should probably read the content of it first. “He’s looking forward to it.”

“Look who's finally made it,” Asami asks. Korra and Jinora look up at her. Ikki pops out from behind. 

“Jinora!” Ikki squeals. She rushes to hug her sister. Jinora makes a quick transfer of Kimmi to Korra and embraces Ikki. Korra stands and moves to Asami’s side. 

“Oh, I have got to tell you all about the mover I’m going to be in!”

Korra nudges Asami. “I’m going to go, you want Kimmi or should I take her to mingle.”

“I won’t steal your date,” Asami whispers, planting a kiss on Korra’s cheek. 

“It’s a Varrick film, not my first I know, but it’s the Badgermole man attack and I’m playing Asami!” Ikki gestures over to Asami and notices she’s standing alone.

“Shoot, I did it again.”

“Did what?” Jinora asks.

Ikki takes Korra’s old seat with a flop. “I’m not supposed to talk about the mover in front of Korra.”

 

***

Korra bounces Kimmi in her arms as she decides where she’d like to mingle next at the party. “I know, I made a big fuss huh?” She asks Kimmi in a funny voice. 

Korra pecks Kimmi’s head a few times. “I gotta get used to it because they're going to be talking about it more and more.”

Korra closes her eyes for a moment, resting her cheek on Kimmi’s soft hair.

"Stay back Avatar Korra! You try and come over here, we'll see if you're that good a flyer." The stumpy badgermole person shouts as he tugs Asami closer, demonstrating his control over her movements. 

Korra adjusts her position on the edge of the roof. “You’ve already lost. We've captured your leader. Let her go!”

A thunderous cracking sound, followed by a muted chorus of screams catches all of their attention. They look in the direction of the noise to see a fifteen-story apartment building leaning at a precarious angle like it stopped mid-fall.

“We’re still in the game Avatar Korra!”

Korra’s head moves rapidly back and forth as she tries to keep tabs on the leaning building and the goons holding Asami. 

Another large metallic groan echos through the city as the building loses its battle with gravity and starts to lean more towards the ground.

“Times up Avatar!”

“Korra?” 

Korra's eyes flash open. At her side is Bolin. 

“Looks like you were taking a nap there. I came to steal Kimmi away from you if possible?” The large man scrunches up apologetically. “I want to huff that sweet baby smell.”

Korra smiles and passes Kimmi into Bolin’s hulking welcoming arms. He raises her over his head and she giggles. He then rushes her stomach down onto his face. Bolin makes a couple of raspberry sounds and Kimmi squeals with delight.

 “The boys playing?” Korra asks.

Bolin shrugs a shoulder towards the door. “Yeah, they went outside. Ai too. Told the twins to be gentle tonight. I know they can get a little rowdy for Wan.”

 

***

Rohan and Wan stay on the side of the courtyard while Daken and Botan play keep-away with Ai. Bolin’s twin boys were near the spitting image of him. Like two little clones. They were both Airbenders, probably the only inherited trait from their mother. 

“How are you liking your new school?” Rohan asks, breaking their comfortable silence. 

Wan lets out a long sigh. Everyone had been asking him that all night. At least with Rohan, he knew he didn’t have to lie. “It sucks, just in a different way than my old school.”

“How so?”

“I had to start halfway through the year and I don’t know anyone.” Wan nudges a stone with his shoe and then kicks it towards the three playing. “But maybe that doesn’t matter because Ai’s making friends.”

“I started at the public school when I was about your age. I was desperate to get off the island. I had a hard time too at first, everyone there had been going to school together for years. Also, I was the only kid in a wheelchair. I had to keep positive. I was where I wanted to be. I just needed to focus on the things I wanted from that school and eventually, I made connections that way.” 

Rohan looks to see if anything he is saying is resonating with Wan. The younger boy’s eyes are fixed on the horseplay.

“I know it's hard to watch people who make friends so easily, but I’ve found a few good friends mean so much more to me than a bunch of people I only sort of know.” 

Wan meets Rohan’s gaze. “I had a good friend at my old school. But he changed after the summer.”

“That sucks,” Rohan starts. He reaches out and pats Wan’s shoulder. “People change and sometimes those changes hurt. Remember that has nothing to do with you.” 

“I wish you still went to my school,” Wan sighs.

Rohan laughs. “I don’t know if I’d do middle school all over again, even for you Buddy. But it’s a moment in time. You’ll be looking at universities before you know it. That’s where you’ll make your real connections.”

“Have you decided where you want to go?”

“There’s a university of science I’m interested in, but it’s in the Fire Nation. I don’t know if my parents will let me.”

“They have a Pai Sho club or team, right? That’s why you really want to go?”

Rohan grabs the back of his head. “They might…speaking of.”

The two look at the open door to the temple's main hall. The light that had been pouring into the courtyard was not blocked by Asami’s silhouette.

“Rohan, everyone wants to watch us play Pai Sho.”

“You sure you want to lose in front of such a big audience?”

“I’ve been working on my game, you’re not taking me down so easily tonight,” Asami huffs and then disappears back inside.

Rohan nervously smiles. “Your mother has spoken!”

 

***

As the party started to wind down, Jinora slipped away to the beach. She pulled the letter from her pocket and gently unfolded it. She reads it as she slowly walks the shore.

Dear Jinora, 

I apologize for putting this in a letter, but I won’t fumble my words here. I have feelings for you. I have for a long time, but your year with the White Lotus showed me what it would be like if we were together more often. I know you have your duty to your nation and your family. I would never ask you to choose. You can let me know during my next visit if this is something you’d like to explore or if I need to move on. I’m sorry it took so long to tell you, I promise I will be okay no matter what happens. I wish to always be your friend,

-Zhou Rhen

Jinora folds the letter and puts it back into her pocket. She finds a nearby log to sit and process what she just read. She feared Zhou Rhen’s letter would be a confession of feelings. It wasn’t a bad thing, but Jinora found herself feeling quite numb about it. As she had been about love and romance all these years since she and Kai broke up. 

Jinora knew now what she and Kai had was young love, something that very rarely lasts. Most people have a couple of relationships throughout their lives before they find the person they settle down with. If they ever do find that right person. Her Uncle Bumi is still a bachelor and her Aunt Kya met her current girlfriend in her early sixties, after her grandma Katara passed. 

Jinora had wondered over the years if Kai was maybe just a fluke. That romance wasn’t something she truly wanted. No one had caught her interest since him and she was not purposefully forsaking love. It just never came. 

This letter did generate a little flutter in Jinora’s stomach. But that could be the anxiety of having someone confess heavy feelings, knowing you’d have to face them with an answer. 

“Look what the flying lemur dragged back,” a familiar male voice calls out from the darkness. 

Jinora turns around to see Meelo, in his United Republic Navy uniform. His dark hair still cropped short, but the spikes now plastered down with some grease. It was more than a year since she last saw him. It was months before she left for The White Lotus. 

Jinora always found it difficult to see him as an adult, with no tattoo on his forehead. A symbol she envisioned on all her siblings one day. To her father's private shame, neither of his sons bore the mark of an Airbending Master. 

“Did you say hi to Mom and Dad?”

Meelo shakes his head. “I’m just here to see you.”

Jinora pats the space on the log. Meelo ambles down the small ledge to the beach and sits beside his sister.

“So, are you going to go full White Lotus or stick around like Dad?”

“Mirror Dad is the plan. I hope to adventure a little more here and there, but someone’s got to take over when Dad retires.”

“You mean Ikki hasn’t stepped up and started taking airbending seriously?” Meelo says with a cheeky grin. 

“Enough to get her tattoos. You could get those to you know. There’s no age limit, Uncle Bumi somehow managed a few years ago.”

Meelo lets out a long sigh. “Let’s not do this again.” He scoops up a few rocks from the shore and starts to chuck them into the water. The plonking sound of them into the sea, along with its gentle lapping fills the silence between the two siblings.

“I’m sorry,” Jinora bows her head. “You’ve come to see me, this shouldn’t be about that.” 

“So,” Meelo asks, scooping up more stones. “What are you doing out here all alone during your big welcome back party? Worked in my favor, but seems like you might be a little troubled.”

Jinora debates sharing the letter with Meelo. They never really discussed their love lives before, but it likely would help distract from her bringing up an old argument.

“I’ve got a suitor.”

Meelo turns to look at his sister. He cocks one of his bushy eyebrows. “A suitor?”

“Remember Zhou Rhen?”

“The goof in the prissy robes that followed you around, but was supposed to be here for Korra?”

Jinora giggles. “Yes.”

“Him?” Meelo scrunches his face. His eyes cross with confusion. “Well, do you like him? Does he make you happy?”

Jinora looks out to the dark water, considering her brother’s question. They were on the beach facing away from the city. In this direction, at night, it was almost impossible to tell where the sea ended and the sky started. The twinkling stars were her only clue, but some nights when the water was calm, you could see them reflected on the dark water. 

Meelo shuffles beside her, moving to stand in front of her. “Give me a hug, I got to get back to the ship or I’m scrubbing the deck with my toothbrush for a week.”

Jinora rises and embraces Meelo. 

“Don’t tell the parents I was here. We’re taking off tomorrow, but we’ll be back in a few weeks. I’ll come to see you all officially then.”

“Okay,” Jinora says, letting him go. “I love you.”

The corner of Meelo’s lips curl. “I love you too.”

To be continued… 










Chapter 55: Trepidation

Notes:

Thank you for your continued support!

Chapter Text

***1 year ago***

It was Wan and Ai’s first day of the new school year. Korra and Asami made a point to drop them off and pick them up on the first and last days. Wong took care of the shuttling for the rest of the year.

The couple patiently waited their turn to pull into the pickup circle. Wan and Ai attended a private school on the outskirts of Republic City. Zhìhuì Academy was established in the early years of the city. It was Asami’s alma mater and she had fond-ish memories of attending. She believed most of her childhood was soured by her mother’s death. It wasn’t the school's fault. 

Their Satomobile did not stick out among the other vehicles, a lot of wealthy families sent their children to this school. They chose it mostly for Wan because it did not include bending on its curriculum. Benders were allowed and encouraged to attend, but physical abilities came second to the mind. Their son was sharp from an early age and they wanted him to be in an environment that nurtured his talents. For simplicity's sake, they sent Ai there too. She was the complete opposite of her brother; Wild, carefree, and not booksmart. Because she was easy going she found her places.

The couple spot their kids toddling down the steps of the old brick building and towards the vehicle. Ai beams and waves both her hands, picking up speed. Wan gives a conservative wave and trails behind his sister. 

“Hey, kids!” Korra beams, turning around to look at the two pile into the backseat. Asami turns the Satomobile back on and starts to exit the property. 

“Ai, how was your first day of third grade?” Korra asks.

Ai lets out a long breath. “So good. I’m in the same class as Lu Lu and we’re even sitting next to each other. We passed so many notes back and forth that we had to sit on the naughty bench and that was great because we just talked until they let us back next period.”

Korra tries to hold in her grin. “Ai, being on the naughty bench isn’t supposed to be a good thing.”

Ai shrugs. “Then they shouldn’t put it in the hallway with no one to watch us.”

“I’m sure they keep track of how many times you go out there, and that might escalate to a greater punishment,” Asami adds.

“I’ll try not to get in trouble again.”

Korra reaches out and pats Wan’s leg. “How about you Buddy, how was your first day of sixth grade?”

“Sucked,” Wan huffs, crossing his arms. 

“Aww, I’m sure it wasn’t that bad.”

Ai leans forward and holds up a hand to Korra’s ear. She whispers, but Wan can still hear her. “Fenhua’s in the other class and he was being kinda weird at lunch. I saw it happen.”

Korra knew Fenhua, he was a friend of Wan’s, close enough to come over to their home a few times. Son of a prominent family in the city. Now that she thought about it, he hadn’t come over at all that summer. They did try to pack in a lot of activities as a family, so it never stuck out until now.

Asami finds Wan’s eyes in her rearview mirror. “Hey, it's a new year and a new class. That is an opportunity for a fresh start and to make some other friends too.”

Wan slumps his body on his door and looks out the window. “I guess.”

 

***A few weeks later***

“Today we will be discussing the reproductive systems,” Wan’s science teacher, Mr. Gung announces, writing out the characters on the big chalkboard at the front of the room. He then adds male and female, and underlines them.

At the teacher's words, the small classroom fills with giggles and groans. 

The older man turns around to stare down the children. “We all knew this was coming, they are just another system in the human body; like the circulatory system or the gastrointestinal system. Now turn to page one hundred and three in your books.”

The room settles. Many kids, including Wan, slump a little lower in their seats. Wan flips to the page and sees the female reproductive organs sliced in half. In the center rests a baby, head down, ready for birth.

“This is how all of us came into the world,” Mr. Gung starts, stepping a little ways from the blackboard. “The reproductive system is about reproducing. Making a new life. Our mothers carry us for around nine months in her uterus and then give birth to us typically through the vaginal canal, but sometimes intervention is needed and a baby needs to be surgically cut out. But I am getting ahead of myself, how does this all happen?”

A boy in the back confidently raises his hand. Mr. Gung gestures his way. “Yes, Ken?”

“It’s called having sex, right?”

The room breaks into laughter. 

“Ken is correct.” Mr. Gung moves to his board and starts to draw a circle. “Through sexual intercourse, a man can deposit his semen into a woman’s vaginal canal. From there the sperm will swim and attempt to locate and fertilize an egg, if present. Should a sperm and egg meet, the fertilized egg will nestle into the walls of the uterus. There the cells will divide and grow and in about nine months a baby is fully formed. Now we’re going to break down all these parts…"

When the class was over and time for lunch Wan booked it as fast as he could to the cafeteria to get his food and get lost. But he wasn’t fast enough. Most of the other sixth-grade class who had science one period earlier were in the lunch line. 

Funghua stood beside some of his classmates, who were smirking and eyeing Wan. Wan lowers his head in an attempt to not engage. The line slowly shuffles forward to the pickup window. 

“Pretty interesting stuff today in science class, huh guys?” Bao asks aloud. Wan was in his class a couple of years ago. He’s a nephew of former President Raiko. 

See-Jun, another former classmate, nudges Bao but looks at Wan. “Yeah, kinda makes me wonder. Wan, how’d you happen? Your moms’ grow you in a lab or something?”

A couple of girls standing behind Wan, who was just in science class with him, lean in to hear the conversation. 

“How do they have sex, anyway?” One of the girls Myung, asks.

The other, Kiki shrieks and swats at her. “Myung, that’s so rude!” 

Unfazed, Myung continued. “Does one pretend to be the man?”

Bao, See-Jun, and Funghua watch with delight as Myung takes over drilling Wan. 

Wan keeps his eyes locked on his shoes, but it doesn’t stop his face from burning red. 

“I bet it’s Avatar Korra!” Bao hoots and starts to flex. “ She’s so big and manly.”

“Guys, that’s enough! You’re embarrassing him!” Kiki protests. 

Wan, unable to determine if he was more embarrassed by the teasing or having only one person stand up for him, bolts from the line. He rushes to the cafeteria doors and bumps into Ai. 

“Hi, Wan!” She chirps, but he rushes past her.

“So who’s your dad then?” See-Jun calls out as Wan disappears.

Funghua spies Ai and jabs See-Jun in the side. “His sister’s here, knock it off.”

See-Jun scowls. “So? She’s a freak too.”

“She’s too young to know what we’re talking about.”

“I guess,” See-Jun snorts and puts a hand to his now tender rib. The group of kids sees they're up next for their lunch and they drop the topic.

Ai and Lu Lu take their spot at the end of the line. Ai looks back at the doors, waiting for her brother to come back. 

“I think they were teasing him,” Lu Lu whispers.

Ai looks around. “Who?” 

Lu Lu points to See-Jun, Funghua, Boa, Myung, and Kiki walking together with their trays. They sit down at an empty table. 

Ai scowls. She watches them joyfully talk and eat their food. See-Jun goes to take a sip of his juice. As he grasps the carton, Ai flicks her wrist and the liquid bursts out the top and covers his face. 

Boa nearly spits out his food, with laughter. To ease his swallowing he goes for his own juice, and Ai repeats bending it into his face as well. 

Lu Lu covers her mouth, to stifle a giggle. “Better stop or you might get caught.”

Ai nods and the two girls focus on the moving line in front of them.

 

***A few weeks after Jinora’s Party***

Zhou Rhen nervously walks through the courtyard of the White Lotus compound on the Fire Nation island of Hamashima to his Uncle Oksuke’s office. He wanted to see Zhou Rhen before his departure.

It was a muggy day. Not even the slightest breeze to make the palms sway. But it wasn’t the summons or the heat that was causing Zhou Rhen’s nervous sweats. It was the fact that tomorrow he left for Republic City and would have to face Jinora after confessing his feelings to her. 

That is, in the very unlikely chance she never read his letter. But she must have. How could she not? What if she acts like she didn’t? Zhou Rhen, so lost in his spiraling out, nearly crashed face-first into his Uncle's office door.

He knocks and then lets himself in. “Uncle Oksuke?”

Oksuke looks up from his desk and motions to Zhou Rhen to take one of the two chairs in front of him. As Zhou Rhen settles, Oksuke brushes aside a couple of scrolls in front of him. He clasps his hands and rests them on the dark oak. 

“Ready for your trip to see Avatar Korra?”

Zhou Rhen nods. “I know motherhood has suited Avatar Korra and she wished for more children. I expect she will be quite jovial this visit.”

“I want you to see if you can warm her to the idea of her children speaking with you at some point. We only got access to Avatar Aang’s children’s experiences growing up once they were near middle age. Which of course was helpful, but time makes you forget and sometimes soften on experiences. Or even embitter. I think a fresher recanting of their time growing up, while growing up would be invaluable.”

“I will try,” Zhou Rhen starts, envisioning how he could even broach the subject with Avatar Korra without her tossing him into the ocean. She had mellowed significantly over the past fifteen years. But Avatar Korra still had a hot streak when it came to certain subjects, and her children, Zhou Rhen quickly learned, was one of them. “But this is something I need to approach at a tiger-snails pace.”

“Of course. You know her best.” Oksuke leans back in his chair. “While we’re on the subject, your master is retiring this year. Meaning you will need to take on an apprentice. I have a list of potentials for you to consider, but I would like you to come up with some yourself. When you get back we can start taking a look together and set up some interviews.”

“That sounds good.”

Oksuke stands out of his chair and walks over to the windows of his office. He frees the drapes from their hooks and pulls the thick red curtains across, blocking out the light. He moves to the other side of the room and does the same with the windows there. “So there is something I wanted to discuss with you outside of our usual business.”

Zhou Rhen’s body scrunches a little in his seat as he watches his Uncle seal the outside world off. Oksuke moves to his office door and looks out the peephole for a few moments. 

“Is something wrong?” Zhou Rhen asks, his voice near cracking.

Oksuke continues to stare through the peephole. “I don’t know, but lately things have felt a little off around here. Have you felt that?”

Zhou Rhen looks up at the ceiling, attempting to recall anything unusual, but nothing has stood out to him. There was a big possibility he had missed something obvious. Since Jinora came last year, she has dominated his thoughts. Zhou Rhen felt his stomach start to clench. Was this crush affecting his work? 

“You’re young, I forget. It’s been a long time since the White Lotus had any scandal.” Oksuke moves away from the door and goes to the windows. He pokes the curtain a crack, to peer through it. He checks the other side and then leans against his desk.“I have this feeling there is a secondary group forming within the White Lotus.”

“Like the Red Lotus?”

“Yes, it reminds me of that time. I was about five years in when they made their split. Big dramatic show of things. But this was after years of secrecy. My master sensed something was wrong. We are here to seek philosophy, beauty, and truth. Our mission transcends the concept of the four nations, not unlike the Avatar. We also are here to serve the Avatar, especially during their most fragile years. He could feel there was an attitude shift among some of the members. Not a lot, but a few. A resentment of duty to the Avatar.”

“And you're sensing this again?”

“Yes. Avatar Korra hasn’t been the easiest of wards, especially in her youth. In many ways the complete opposite of Aang. But that is kind of the point. Look at Avatar Yangchen to Avatar Kurik and compare him to Avatar Kyoshi. Many people live to only see one Avatar, two maybe. I’m digressing a little. Avatar Korra has matured greatly and is an actualized Avatar and yet I’m getting this air of agitation from a handful of members. Unprompted. Can you think of a single thing she’s done recently to cause any frustration with her?”

Zhou Rhen shakes his head. “Adopting a kid is the only major action she’s taken. I know some people do not think same-sex couples should raise children, but that ship sailed eleven years ago for Avatar Korra and her partner.”

“Exactly. And it can’t be a national issue, the baby is from the UES taken to the United Republic. We put the personal matters of nations aside.”

“Do you think it’s the Red Lotus back from the ashes, or a new group?”

“I don’t know." Oksuke drifts to his nephew's side. He places a hand on his shoulder. "I have no confirmation of my suspicions. This is but a warning, keep your people close. I will be starting an internal investigation. You and only a few of my closest are privy to this information. I need you to speak with Avatar Korra to be cautious of our organization. Limit contact to the White Lotus, speak to us only through you. If an Avatar request comes in and it is not from you, I will know it is falsified.”

“I understand.”

Oksuke smiles and pats Zhou Rhen a few times. He pulls him up from his seat for a light hug. “I pray I am just over cautious in my old age. You can kill people, but ideas can be immortal.”

 

***11 months ago***

Asami had her briefcase in hand and was ready to walk out the kitchen when she noticed Wan still wasn’t down for breakfast. Ai was finishing up her porridge. Korra had left early that morning for a meeting with President Zhu Li. Asami checked her watch, and then moved to the stairs.

At the top she saw Wan’s bedroom door was still closed. She opens the door. “Wan, you need to get up or you will be late for school.”

Wan is still in bed, the covers pulled up over his head. “Don’t make me go.”

“What do you mean?” Asami asks, setting her briefcase down by the door. She takes a seat on the edge of her son's bed. She tugs at the comforter covering his head, but he holds it in place.

“I hate it there.”

“Why?”

Wan lowers the covers down a little ways. He looks at his mother’s concerned face and debates telling her the truth. “They’re picking on me,” he whispers.

“Who?” Asami presses.

“A bunch of different people.”

Asami couldn’t believe what she was hearing. She instinctively scoots a little closer. “Whatever for? You’ve always gotten along with your classmates, right?”

“This year’s different.” Wan fidgets with the blankets. “A lot of it is about you and Mumma.”

Asami felt her stomach leap into her chest. This was a fear she had for her children, that they might be a target of bullying because their family was different, and they were children of the Avatar and a prominent business owner. They assumed at least their public status would be less of an issue at the private school, since it was mostly wealthy or prominent families that attended. At this point Asami honestly thought they were in the clear. Everyone knew Wan and Ai and who their parents were. Why would suddenly Wan be picked on for it now?

“I’m sorry,” Wan whispers, ducking under the covers. “Please don’t be mad.”

“I’m not mad at you, Buddy. Thank you for telling me the truth.” Asami puts her thumb to her mouth. She anxiously runs her bottom teeth over the nail. Likely chipping at the red polish she put on last night. “How about I take you to school today?”

Wan flips the covers off his face and shoots up in bed, “Please don’t say anything Mom, it could make it worse if the other kids get in trouble.”

“You’ll tell us if it gets worse, okay?” Asami asks, reaching out a brushing down Wan’s bedhead. 

“I will.”

“Hurry up, you need to be up and out the door in ten minutes. Otherwise Hong is leaving and I’m driving you.”

 

***Present Time***

When Zhou Rhen's ship docked in Republic City he decided to contact Korra to visit her home first, before going to the temple. He told himself it made more sense since he was already in the city to see the Avatar, but he knew it was to delay confronting Jinora a little longer. 

Korra has Kimmi on her hip as she opens the front door to Zhou Rhen.

“C'mon, stranger.”

“Thank you for letting me into your home," he says with a shallow bow.

“We’ll I’m sure one day people will be fascinated by your documentation of the Avatar’s habitat.”

“This is Kimmi?”

Korra proudly lifts her daughter a little higher and steps closer to Zhou Rhen. Kimmi reaches out in his direction. She clenches and unclenches her chubby little hands hoping he’ll offer a finger or something she can grasp.

“She is very cute,” Zhou Rhen says a little awkwardly. He found this kind of sentiment embarrassing, but he knew that’s what you were supposed to say about babies.

Korra appeases Kimmi with her hand. Kimmi brings it to her mouth and gums Korra’s knuckles. “We have some time before the other two get home and I’d like to take advantage of that by talking about the more heavy stuff first.”

Zhou Rhen’s eyebrows shoot up. Avatar Korra was rarely so frank with him. He follows her into their sitting room. She puts Kimmi on the loveseat beside her and passes her a proper baby toy, a rubber ring of oversized keys, to chew on. Zhou Rhen takes the armchair opposite and pulls out his notebook tucked in his sleeve.

“So they're doing it again. Making another damn mover about you know, that day.”

Zhou Rhen immediately knows what she is referring to. Funny, he was just recently thinking about that time. “How unfortunate.”

Korra slumps in her seat, draping her arms around the back of the loveseat. “Fricken Ikki is playing Asami in it. So I gotta go see the damn thing or I’m an ass hole.”

“I’m sure if you explained why it would be difficult for you to see, Master Ikki would understand.”

It took Korra a moment, hearing Master Ikki was something she had not gotten used to. Also, it was a title almost no one called her. Ikki earned her tattoos, but Airbending Master was not a role she actually took on. 

“I don’t even want to get close to the truth. I’ll just have to tough it out, somehow.”

“Do you think the new baby has added to your increased anxiety towards revisiting the event?”

Korra rubs her forehead. “You know I haven’t considered that, but probably. Kimmi’s alive because her mother’s body protected her from a building collapse. Somehow positioned her in a perfect little pocket of space. Her mother made that kind of decision lightning fast. I’m sure half of it was even luck. But that woman knew exactly what she needed to do at that moment.”

Kimmi pops the key ring out of her mouth and offers it to Korra. The Avatar notices and looks down at her daughter. Tears quickly well in her eyes and she covers her face with the hand that was previously resting on her forehead. 

Kimmi scoots closer, a bit unsure by the fact that she can’t see Korra’s face. Zhou Rhen watches tears sneak past her hand and down her cheeks. Kimmi makes her distress known and Korra uncovers her face. She pulls Kimmi into her lap and holds her close. 

 

*** Ten-ish years ago***

Korra and Asami had settled into a bit of a nightly routine as they neared the end of the second trimester. Asami would come home from work and Korra would already be there waiting for her, unless on the rare occasion when Korra would be stuck late at the temple, Asami would meet her there. Tonight, like most nights after dinner, they retired to the sitting area of the apartment and cuddled on the loveseat to read for a bit until Asami would eventually put her book down and wander back to the kitchen for a snack. 

Tonight was no different. Korra spies Asami beginning to stir, indicating she was ready for her after-dinner snack. Asami places her book on the coffee table, pages down to keep her spot, and then stretches out her arms over her head. Her belly pokes out from under her nightshirt. After getting pregnant, Asami traded her night slips for some of Korra’s more worn-out sleep shirts and sweats, but they were starting to be too small too. 

Korra couldn’t help but snicker to herself, if only the rest of the world could see this side of Asami only she was privy to. All of Asami’s maternity wear for work was high fashion as usual, but as soon as she got through their door at night she went right to the bedroom to change into something loose and comfortable. Korra looks back to the pages of her book, expecting Asami to return by her side, but she continues commotion coming from the kitchen. Cabinets getting opened, the rustling of packing being shoved aside. Eventually, Asami calls out to her.

“Babe?”

Korra puts her book down next to Asami’s and slides off the loveseat. “Yeah?” She asks, shuffling into the kitchen.

Asami peaks out from behind a cabinet door. “There’s nothing I want to eat.”

Korra smirks. “That can’t be possible, we have so many snacks.” She moves to Asami’s side and peaks into the cabinets. Each shelf has a couple of different kinds of crackers or cookie packages. 

Asami leans against their refrigerator. “I want Sorbete.”

“We don’t have any?”

Asami shakes her head. “I specifically want Taro Sorbete.”

Korra crosses her arms and flashes her classic lopsided grin. “You want me to go down to the corner store?.”

“I can come with you,” Asami offers.

Korra shakes her head. “No, no. I can go.” She moves through the sitting room to the apartment door. On a hook rests the light jacket she got for bumming around at night. She also picks up her small coin purse and stashes it in her sweatpants pocket. 

Asami peaks at her through the doorway into the kitchen. “Thank you.” She moves closer as Korra slips on her boots. Korra looks up and Asami’s lips capture hers in a light kiss. Korra rises, her boots on, not letting their mouths separate. Now standing face to face, Korra has to lean slightly to one side, around Asami’s belly, to keep the contact. 

“Don’t be gone long,” Asami breathes as their kiss ends.

It was a little brisk out as Korra ambled to the corner store. The shop wasn’t far, just a few blocks away. The cold felt good on her hot face, still warm from Asami’s kiss. She kept waiting for the flutter in her stomach to lessen over time, but the thrill of kissing Asami never went away. Not after a couple years of marriage and now with their first child on the way. 

A little bell rings as Korra opens the door. The kind face of an older gentleman greets her, with a little nod and smile as she enters. 

“Another late-night snack for the Misses.?”

“You’ve got it,” Korra winks, heading to the back of the small store. 

“Third time this week!”

Korra angles her body to fit through the narrow aisles. The shop was nothing more than a hole in the wall, but the man stocked it like it was four times the size. “She claims we have nothing to eat.”

“I think you and I both share the same philosophy, happy wife, happy life. So, what is it this time?” The older man asks.

Korra pops open the small freezer at the back of the shop. A burst of cold mist hits her face. She peers down into the tubs of frozen treats. “Taro Sorbete, but it looks like you may be out of that flavor?”

The store owner nods. “A young man came in earlier, bought three pints, must have been the last. Do you know what he even told me? It was for his pregnant wife.”

Korra looks up from the freezer. “No kidding. I don’t know what to get her instead. Nothing else is like that flavor.”

“Best get a couple of options.”

Korra reaches into the freezer and pulls out a pint of red bean, pineapple, and vanilla Sorbet. She scoops them into her arms and walks them to the register. 

“Want a bag?” The store owner asks as he tallies the items. The total appears on a small window of the register with a bing! 

“Yes please,” Korra replies, fishing out the appropriate coins. 

Once the transaction is complete Korra swings the bag of pints over her shoulder and heads to the door. The bell jingles as she enters the dimly lit street.

A few feet from the store, Korra hears a rumbling. She stops, her arms lax and the bag of Sorbete slips off her shoulders and dangles down at her legs. Korra is about ready to keep walking when she hears the rumble again. She closes her eyes, trying to focus on the vibrations.

Korra can sense a flurry of activity beneath the pavement. She fears it's possibly an earthquake but then a fuzzy snout breaks through the concrete a few feet in front of her. It dips below the surface as quickly as it rises. Korra stays back, waiting to see if the creature will reappear in the hole, but to her surprise, it bursts from the ground again behind her. 

Then like a rapid fire, more puncture the surface through the streets. This causes enough noise and shaking that the store owner ambles out of his shop. “Avatar Korra, what’s going on?”

Korra whips her head around at his voice. She spies the older man shuffling into the crumbling street in his flip-flops. She runs over and ushers him back towards the store. “Something weird’s going on, you should stay inside.” 

“Is that badgermole?” The shop owner stammers.

Korra looks back to the streets and long sharp claws recede into a hole and are replaced by a long furry nose. “I think you’re right. Do you have a phone in the shop?”

The older man nods and leads Korra to its cradle. She dials the police station number. “It’s Avatar Korra, I need to speak with Chief Beifong.”

“Korra?” Mako replies.

“Mako! Something weird's going on downtown. Badger Moles coming up through the pavement.”

“ATTENTION CITIZENS OF REPUBLIC CITY!” A male voice booms on a megaphone.

“Who the hell is that?” Mako barks.

Korra moves as far toward the window as the phone’s cord will let her. A badgermole is sitting in the middle of an intersection and standing on top of it is a man, short in stature, drab brown clothing, big goggles, and a helmet. 

“ALL BOW BEFORE THE MIGHT OF THE BADGERMOLES!”

“There’s some nut on the back of a badgermole.”

The earth groaned and grumbled, giving way for a few more badgermoles and droves of similarly dressed people.

“Just get you and the rest of the station over here ASAP and you can see what’s going on for yourself.” Korra pushes the tab on the phone to hang it up and starts dialing the temple. 

 

***

Asami looks up from her book as she feels a small tremor beneath her. Her eyes go to the door, but Korra isn’t there, and her return wouldn’t cause such a disturbance. 

Asami’s mug of tea shutters on the side table and it’s enough to get her to her feet. She grabs her jacket by the door and steps into the hallway. Her neighbors, an older couple down the hall, peers back at her from their doorway. 

“Do you feel that too?” One calls out.

Asami nods. “A small earthquake maybe?”

“Should we get out of the building?”

The floor trembles. 

“Yes, but take the stairs.” 

The couple moves past Asami, while she seeks out the doors of the other tenants on her floor.

 

***

After making a second call, alerting Tenzin of the attack, Korra rushes out of the corner store to confront the attackers. They hadn’t gotten far, above ground, badgermoles are quite clumsy and slow. 

There were about seven of them marching down the street, two to three people riding on their backs. The man with the megaphone stood on his Badgermole and continued to shout the same sentiments as earlier. 

The Badgermoles were taking swipes at anything in their path, mailboxes, light poles, parked Satomobiles. 

Korra ran after them, summoning a wall of earth in their path to corral the beasts. She heard a siren’s wail behind her a wave of relief washed over her knowing Mako and Lin were there to back her up. 

The Badgermoles made quick work of Korra’s earth walls and soldiered on. 

“They're all over the fricking city,” Lin starts, with a brief touch of Korra’s shoulder. “We had to divert most of our officers before catching up to you.”

“There’s like, Badgermole people riding them," Korra says, directing their gaze to the stubby people. 

Mako shakes out his wrists, warming up for the impending scuffle. “Any ideas as to what they want yet?”

Korra shrugs. “Shall we subdue them before they make any more of a mess?”

Mako and Lin nod and signal the police force behind them to proceed. 

The riders rolled off the badgermoles and take cover behind their large bodies. Once out of sight, they earth-bent themselves below ground. Spinning around as they descended like small drills. 

The badgermole's massive claws easily swatted away the metal whips the Republic City police rained upon them. 

Korra and Mako pivot to fire attacks. Just enough to corral the beasts. They didn’t want to inflict real harm on a creature that was considered sacred. 

“I can’t believe I’m gonna say this, but we need Wu,” Korra shouts to Mako. “He can speak to these guys, right?”

“That’s what I heard. He’s actually supposed to arrive tomorrow.”

“How do you know that?”

Mako throws another fire punch at one of the hulking Badgermoles. It hisses and swats at the flames with its massive paws. “We’re getting dinner the following night after he’s done his diplomatic business.”

“Then I guess we have to handle this on our own till he gets here.”

The flames are enough to get the seven badgermoles to bunch together against the wall of a department store. Lin gets ready to instruct her unit to use their metal whips to tie up the beasts when they all collectively notice the riders are no longer present. 

As if on cue, the badgermole people burst up from the ground, two to three of them on a police officer. 

Korra and Mako each have two soot-covered assailants popping up from the street at their feet. They are shorter than the average Republic City citizen. Their eyes are pale and their nails are long. The wide-brim hat they all wear has the Badgermole stripes and two felt ears. 

“So, what is it you want?” Korra barks at the two small people in front of her.

“We want Republic City. This land was stolen from the badgermoles after the hundred-year war!”

Korra groans. “Didn’t you hear what happened when Kuvira tried to take Republic City back?”

One of the badgermole people spits on the ground. “She had no more right to it than you all do!” 

As they were talking, Mako tossed a fireball at the two little people, sending them down the street.

"For the record." Korra looks and sees that Mako has taken care of his two assailants as well. “I had them. I was just getting some intel.”

Lin runs up to the pair. “These little gremlins are all over the place. When are the Airbenders supposed to arrive? We need troops who can get an aerial view.”

 

***

Bolin charges out of his townhome in the city, in nothing but his boxer shorts and undershirt after seeing the second badgermole pass by their window. 

Opal pokes her head out the front door. Her two sons were at either side, holding onto her legs. 

“It really is badgermoles,” Bolin shouts, out of breath. “I got to go find Korra.” He squats and bends a moat of lava in front of his stoop. 

“Bolin, you can’t make a lava pit and leave!”

“Remember we have a backdoor.”

Opal groans and ushers her kids into the house. “Be careful, okay?”

“I will my love,” Bolin replies, and then blows his wife a kiss. He then charges down the street, in the direction he saw the badgermoles go.

 

***

Asami had just finished knocking on the last apartment door on her floor when something crashes through one of the hallway windows. Asami braces herself against the wall, narrowly avoiding any glass shards. Once it settled, the mass that came through the window moved. It was a badgermole person. His thick cloak and leather cap shielded him from any cuts. He shakes off the bits of glass and then snarls at Asami. She braces for an attack, but instead, he puts two stubby fingers in his mouth and whistles. 

Soon more of them come leaping in through the window. They dangle from the upper ledge of the window and then swing inside. Asami wishes she had her glove, or at least more clothing on, but was prepared to kick her way through these strange little people until she could get back to her apartment. The group strikes. Asami swipes a few off their feet, but one gets a rag in her face and she finds her world quickly go black. 

 

***

Bolin huffs through the streets dodging the odd citizen or Satomobile fleeing from a badgermole or badgermole person. Down the street a ways he could hear the crackling of metal whips, he was all too familiar with. He hoped either Mako or Korra would be where the police were. 

A burst of flame confirmed his hope. "Mako! Korra!" 

Bolin's shout catches the attention of a badgermole man, he pulls at his reins and turns around the tri-color creature to stare him down. 

"Bolin!" Mako shouts from the other side. "Is Opal and the boys okay?"

Bolin attempts to dodge the badgermole and get around to his brother, but the creature blocks his movements. Fed up, he squats down and clenches his fists. The gravel beneath the badgermole begins to turn yellowish-orange. It takes a moment for the heat to penetrate the rough pads of its feet. Soon enough the badgermole feels the burn and scampers out of Bolin's path. 

Korra and Mako rush to meet Bolin. 

"Opal and the boys okay?" Mako repeats.

Bolin nods. "Yeah, I left them a lava moat. What about you guys? What the heck is going on with these guys?"

The three look around. Republic City Police officers subdue the remaining badgermole people. They cuff them and load them into their trucks, but are unsure what to do with the badgermoles. Once the riders are taken down, most of the beasts burrow back into the earth, leaving massive holes in the road. A few feisty ones remain in the area, trying to get past the police and to their riders. 

"They're not too hard to stop, there are just so many of them," Mako says, catching the eye of Lin. She starts towards the three.

"Yeah, they were outside my house and all over the place when I came to find you guys."

"Tenzin and the Air Nation should be here any minute," Lin announces as she joins their little circle. "Once we have eyes in the air we can better coordinate our defense and hopefully wrangle them all."

Bolin's face twitches for a moment, as he considers why something feels off. 

"Where's Asami?"

Korra's eyes bulge. "Shit! I was on a snack run. I got to go check on her." 

The Avatar turns on her heels and dashes down the street back towards the apartment. During the attack, they ended up a couple blocks farther down the road from the corner store. As she ran, it felt like she was miles away. 

Bolin and Mako consider chasing after her when they hear a deep cracking noise, followed by a kaboom. 

Lin puts a hand on both their shoulders and inserts herself between them. "Boys, Korra and Asami will be fine. Let's go see what the heck these little pests did now." 

The brothers nod and follow Lin to a police vehicle. 

 

***

Korra hears the same explosive noise coming from across the city but stays on her course to their apartment building. As she runs, she wished she had brought her glider staff. Korra made a mental note that maybe she just needed to bring that with her all of the time. Especially while Asami was pregnant.

Korra reaches the outside of their building. Her neighbors are all clambered out front. All dressed in their pajamas, a few smart enough to grab their coats before coming outside. No one was going to freeze, but there was a definite chill in the air. She did not see Asami in the crowd.

Many of the people are looking up toward the top of the building. Korra's eyes follow theirs to a broken window. She recognizes it as the hallway window near the elevator. It was their floor.

Korra dashes to the main entrance of the building and straight to the stairs. Her legs were tired from her sprint, so she summoned flames at her feet and jet-propelled herself through the stairwell to the top floor. Korra lands at the top, and flings open the door into their apartment floor's hallway. Glass shards litter the carpeted floor.

Korra moves to their apartment. The door is shut but unlocked. She dashes through the rooms, calling out for Asami, but there is no sign of her wife. Korra returns to the hallway and the shattered window. Panic starts to spread through her stomach. She can feel the organ contorting with anxiety. Something isn't right. Asami would have stayed with the neighbors or at least called Lin or Tenzin or even Opal. 

Korra inspects the glass on the floor. Something brown and fuzzy catches her eye. She moves a big chunk of glass and reveals what looks like a felted badgermole ear. Like the one on their badgermole men's caps. 

"They must know who she is," Korra sighs, picking up the ear. She shoves it in her pocket and tries to imagine where those rodent people could have taken her wife. 

Korra goes back into the apartment and locates their emergency radio. She moves the dial to the police frequency. "Lin, it's Korra. Asami's been taken. What's the situation down there? Over."

She waits a few moments. The static of the radio hisses and hums. There's a crackle, then Lin's voice. She brings the radio receiver eagerly to her ear. "We've captured a high-ranking badgermole person. Maybe a General. Offered negotiations with Wu. The airbender team is rounding up stragglers. Still many out there causing a mess. Will ask about Asami. Stand by. Over."

Korra keeps the receiver close as she paces around the sitting room of their home. In the corner was a half-built crib. Asami, the engineer that she was, struggled to put together their store-bought crib. It was touted as super adaptable and could be used up to age three. The instructions read like they were translated from another language. They were both about ready to toss it in the trash and buy a basic model.

Korra's stomach flips. They were so excited about this baby. What if she had to come back to the home again without them? She furiously shakes her head. She can't allow herself to go down that train of thought.

The radio chirps. Lin comes back on. "Badgermole men were sent to kidnap her as a hostage. Location unknown. Where are you, I will send a backup. Over."

"I'm at our apartment. I'm going to the rooftop. They might have broken in that way. Over." 

"Airbenders are on their way. Be careful. Over."

Korra chucks the radio on their couch and marches out the door. 

She eyes the broken window in the hall, rushes to it, and jumps out. Again, a burst of flames at her feet propel her into the air giving her enough lift to land on the roof. 

The sun has just started to rise, casting a yellow glow on all the mess the badgermole men had made upon Republic City. She shields her eyes with a hand to get a better view of the cityscape. A reflective glint catches her attention. 

Korra runs over to the edge of the roof. Two grappling hooks are latched onto the wall of the roof, which was about waist high. Korra peers over the side and sees they are part of a rope bridge connecting to another building about a street-width length away. Her eyes follow the bridge to what appears to be a couple of rodents and Asami. 

The badgermole men have noticed her and are pointing her way. One quickly goes to hooks on their building and ditches them off the side. The bridge swiftly falls and collides with the side of Korra and Asami's apartment building. The clang of glass shattering can be heard as Korra imagines the grappling hooks colliding with someone's window. 

Korra is unphased. She doesn't need the bridge to get over there. She gets ready to jump to the side and fire-jet herself over to the next building when a screechy voice stops her. 

"Stay back Avatar Korra! You try and come over here, we'll see if you're that good a flyer." The stumpy badgermole person shouts as he tugs Asami closer, demonstrating his control over her movements. 

Korra adjusts her position on the edge of the roof. “You’ve already lost. We've captured your leader. Let her go!”

A thunderous cracking sound, followed by a muted chorus of screams catches all of their attention. They look in the direction of the noise to see a fifteen-story apartment building leaning at a precarious angle like it stopped mid-fall.

“We’re still in the game Avatar Korra!”

Korra’s head moves rapidly back and forth as she tries to keep tabs on the leaning building and the goons holding Asami. 

Another large metallic groan echoes through the city as the building loses its battle with gravity and starts to lean more towards the ground.

“Times up Avatar!” The two badgemolemen on either side of Asami start walking her towards the end of the building. She struggles in their grip, but it’s no use. 

Korra lowers into a crouch preparing to save her wife, when the screams from the apartment building bring her back from her focused state. The broken part of the structure has given up and begins to crumble, sending the top half of the building careening to the earth below.

Korra’s eyes begin to glow blue, and then dart between the two catastrophes, her mind spinning, her body radiating with the Avatar state. 

“Raava, what do I do? I need your help!”

“Korra, I can’t make this decision for you.”

“I can’t choose.”

“You must.”

“I love Asami more than anything else. And the baby, I haven’t even met our child! If they die I might as well die along with them. But I can’t do that because I’m the Avatar!”

“I…I love them too.”

“Then help me save them!” Korra pleads. “I need all of your strength!”

Raava’s reply was a surge of electricity pulsating from Korra’s core to her extremities. Korra closes her eyes. She can sense every spirit vine in the city, their original sprout of growth to every sprawling tendril. Her right-hand reaches out and calls them near with her right hand. Moving her fingertips to conduct the vines to grow and curl towards the careening building. 

With her left hand, Korra feels the rush of water in the pipes of the city below. With a punch, she breaks the nearest one open and guides the water through the streets into the sky. Her left-hand flicks and parts the stream into two, directing them to the men on each side of Asami. They wash away in an instant by the geyser's pressure. 

The burst of spirit vines opens like an octopus, engulfing the side of the falling building. The structure groans as it settles into the embrace. Korra takes a breath, now that the building is no longer falling, and then urges the vines to push it back upright. 

The badgermole goons had their arms still on Asami when they got pummeled with water. They let go as soon as they felt the water blast, in an attempt to protect their faces, their quick release caused Asami to lose her balance.

Korra's rapid eye flicking stops, spying Asami's fumble in the air. Her left-hand works quickly, redirecting the water back towards her. The two streams become connected behind Asami, then like a lasso, Korra whips the water back, with Asami in tow. 

They crash together, water flowing over them and then down to the streets. Korra wraps her left arm around the back of Asami’s middle, gripping her as tightly as she can. Her right arm screams as it directs her full Avatar power to the spirit vines as they hold the building in place. 

“Korra,” is all Asami can think to say.

Korra pulls her as close as her bulging belly will allow and presses her lips to Asami’s in a crushing kiss. A few moments pass and their lips separate. “I thought I might lose you both.”

“Close," Asami touches Korra's face. "But you saved the day.”

This reminds Korra of the building and gives it her full attention. She closes her eyes and wills the spirit vines to hold their place until she commands otherwise. Her body goes slack, exhausted. Asami bends to drape her wife’s arm around her shoulder. 

“Common, we got to see if it’s actually over or not.”

 

***

Wu arrived in the knick of time to smooth things over with the remaining badgermole men and badgermoles, offering them above-ground sanctuary in the United Earth States. 

To Korra’s relief, very few homes, outside of the building she stopped from collapsing, were destroyed. Most of the damage was to the streets and public property. No one was going to be able to drive comfortably until the roads were repaved, but few had to spend the night in a shelter. 

Korra went to bed that night wide awake, despite spending the night prior fighting. She laid on her back and stared at the ceiling until she could tell Asami had drifted off. Korra waited another thirty minutes to ensure her wife wouldn’t notice her slipping out of bed.

The night air nipped at Korra’s face as she opened her glider and took off for Air Temple Island. As she flew overhead she noted the contrast of the night prior, from her height, she could hardly tell anything had happened at all. 

Korra touches down in front of the male dorm and quietly seeks out Zhou Rhen’s room. He was in town until she and Asami left for the South Pole to have the baby. Kaya, who’s their midwife, had to leave the city a few months ago to take care of Katara who is insistent she spends her final days in her motherland. 

Korra gently knocks on the door. After a few moments a sleepy, Zhou Rhen appears in the doorframe.

“Avatar Korra?”

“I need someone to talk to.”

Zhou Rhen smiles sleepily. “Then I’m your guy.”

 

***

Korra makes Zhou Rhen walk with her out to the courtyard, as far as they can get away from the Air Temple dorms. The two end up on the beach. Zhou Rhen took a seat on a log, while Korra chose to pace.

“It happened, the moment happened.”

Zhou Rhen pulls out his notebook and flips it to a fresh page. He notes the date, assuming it's already the following day since it feels so late. “The choice? Like the big one?”

Korra stops a moment to answer, “Yes," and then resumes her anxious laps along the rocky beach. 

“Everything turned out okay, so you did it. You faced your fear.”

“I didn’t though." Korra bends down and collects a few stones. She thinks about chucking them into the water but instead lets them slide out of her hand. "I couldn’t make the choice. I refused and somehow got lucky and was able to save both Asami and that building from collapsing. I begged Raava for more strength and she lent it to me. ”

“Well, you still made a choice," Zhou Rhen urges. 

“Was it the right one though?”

“Explain.”

Korra collapses into the seated lotus position, not caring if the beach is a little wet. “The correct choice for the Avatar is to put my personal feelings aside and save the many over the few. Regardless of how important they are to me, right? If I don’t save the world, there is no place for those I love to live. So if I really want to save them, I have to save the world. But that still usually means they don’t get saved. Ever since you told me I’ve gone over it in my head. Reminded myself of my duty. Mediated about it. I have no Avatar’s I can consult with. Though I can guess most Avatar’s in recent memories responses, it would still be nice to know how they got there mentally.”

Zhou Rhen chews the tip of his pencil for a moment. “I don’t think beating yourself up for this is going to be helpful to you. You made choices, you took action, and it resulted in everyone being saved.”

 

***Present Time***

Korra plants a few little pecks on Kimmi’s head. 

“I’m sorry this moment still troubles you so much, Avatar Korra.”

“Mumma, we’re hooooooome!” Ai calls out from the foyer. As she often did if Korra wasn’t there to meet the children as soon as they returned from school. 

“We’re in the sitting room,” Korra hollers back. 

Ai soon appears, with Wan a few steps behind her. She stops at the site of Zhou Rhen. The children have seen him before, but he usually represents Avatar business at Air Temple Island. He was out of place sitting in their home.

“Kids, you know Zhou Rhen. He’s come to meet Kimmi.”

Ai gives him a little wave, and then quickly scoots to the loveseat Korra occupies. She stands behind it bashfully. Wan comfortably takes the other empty armchair beside Zhou Rhen. 

“Do you like having a new baby sister?” Zhou Rhen asks, as sweetly as he can muster.

Ai shyly nods. “Yeah. She’s so cute.”

“She’s alright,” Wan replies with a shrug.

Zhou Rhen spies Wan looking at Korra to see if he was in any trouble for the comment. She doesn’t show any reaction. How excited about a baby could you expect an eleven-year-old boy to be?

Ai leans over to Korra and holds a little hand out to cover her mouth. She whispers in that loud way kids do. “Does this mean we’re not having a snack today?”

“I’m sorry sweetie, I forgot to make the afternoon snack. I can do that now.” Korra hoists Kimmi and herself up. “We can talk more at the temple.” 

Zhou Rhen grimaces. He wanted to put off going to the temple as long as he possibly could. “I could wait. I don’t mind. I’ve got some notations I need to make about our conversation.”

“Alright, that’s fine.” Korra leaves the room with Ai closely at her heels.

Wan stays put and examines Zhou Rhen. “You’re in the White Lotus?”

“I am.”

“What’s the difference between the Red Lotus and the White Lotus?”

Zhou Rhen drops his notebook. It flops on the floor. A few loose pages and notes spill out. He quickly bends over to collect them and his head at the boy’s odd question. 

“How do you know about the Red Lotus?” Zhou Rhen asks, plopping the book and papers into his lap to organize. 

“I’ve just heard of both. There’s one that works for Korra and then there’s another that doesn’t.”

“The Red Lotus was an organization that was…” Zhou Rhen’s face contorts. How does he answer this? What was he allowed to say to this child? Probably not that this organization wanted to kill one of his mothers. “They were bad guys. Into all kinds of bad things. But they were taken down by your mother and her friends.” 

“Bad, that word is kind of subjective, isn’t it?”

Zhou Rhen looked around for any sign that Avatar Korra was returning and hopefully putting an end to this conversation that was making him almost as uncomfortable as the thought of confronting Jinora later. 

“Subjective is a word I learned today,” Wan starts. “We’re learning one new word a day and we have to use it in a sentence.” 

Korra re-enters the room with a small tray of sliced fruits. Ai, once again is her shadow. When the tray is placed on the coffee table, Ai eagerly takes a piece in each hand and then plops herself on the loveseat. 

Zhou Rhen jumps up from his chair. “You know Avatar Korra, I probably should get going. Best to get to the temple before dark. Why don’t you come by sometime tomorrow and we can speak more.”

“I can have Hong give you a ride to the docks if you’d like.”

“That would be lovely.”

 

***6 Months ago***

Wan opens his eyes and Tenzin is still asleep at his side. “Because I am a man with dangerous ideas,” echoes in his mind. Wan was prepped for strangeness in the Spirit World, but this man was not anything he expected. 

Wan waits for Ikki to come and notify them it’s time for lunch and to wake the old man. Wan is tempted to share his new ability but knows as soon as he does, Tenzin will be far more vigilant about him having a chaperoned in the Spirit World. His moms would also want to get involved or caution him about the dangers. This new independent space would be lost. 

Wan did have trouble getting back into the Spirit World. He thought he had it sorted out, but every meditation was like rolling dice. It seemed the times he tried when he wanted it more, he was less likely to make it in.

One afternoon at the end of a particularly frustrating school day, Wan found himself transported back in that eerie red grove. He remembered the man he found there. How could he not? He was linked to his early entries into the Spirit World. In the pit of Wan’s stomach, he knew he should not seek that person out. The Spirit World was known for harboring all sorts of tricksters. This man openly admitted he had dangerous ideas. Still, there was something about him that intrigued Wan. 

Perhaps it was his frankness. Everyone in his life was always so careful about what they said. It made Wan feel like a little kid. Like he couldn’t handle the full truth of a situation. It was the same at his new school. The bullied transfer kid of the Avatar, tread lightly. 

The man did not appear to be there. Wan walked around for a little while. He did a look into Xai Bao at the Air Temple after his encounter with the strange man. There wasn’t much on him, at least in Tenzin’s study. But as the man said, he wasn’t a part of Tenzin’s curriculum.

It was the first time he had ever heard anything critical about Master Tenzin. It was hard to believe anyone could think ill of such a revered old man. Wan was starting to learn that just because someone is an adult, doesn’t mean they necessarily have all the answers or did things correctly every time. 

He heard his mother’s talking before he interrupted them with his embarrassing accident. Korra had been sneaking around not unlike a little kid and Asami wasn’t happy about it. His mother’s rarely fought, but if someone was in the dog house, it was typically Korra. Usually for silly things like communicating about schedules. 

Wan reaches the end of Xai Bao’s grove. The red upside down 

upside-down-looking trees come to an abrupt stop. He looks out at a valley of uneven rocks. Small scrubby bushes and trees sparsely fill some of the cracks and crags. Wan turns around and looks back into the grove.

How does a person get their own spot in the Spirit World, Wan wonders. He never heard of any places named after Avatars, not that he knew many places outside of the North and South Pole and the fog of lost souls. Something he was very sternly warned about by Tenzin. 

“Xai Bao was the creator of the Red Lotus,” a raspy male voice says from the woods. 

Wan looks around but cannot see anyone. He scurries to the center of the grove and pivots his foot to make a full circle to find the voice. “It’s you again, right?”

“My name is Yorru.” The bearded man walks from the trees, appearing almost out of thin air. And you are the Airbender, though once again you are not in novice robes. You don’t live at the temple.”

Wan shakes his head. “No, I live with my parents in the city.”

The man walks towards and then past Wan. Reclaiming his spot beneath the big tree once again. He eases his body down into the lotus position. “You attend regular school then? Your parents don’t want you to grow up a monk?”

“Yeah, school sucks, but I don’t want to be a monk either.”

“You just haven’t found the right teacher.” The man closes his eyes. “My students will be here shortly. You must go.”

Wan takes a curious step closer. “You teach in the Spirit World?”

The man grins and holds out his arms.“Where else can you hold a classroom where students can gather from all over the world at the same moment?” 

“That is pretty cool.”

“Find me and this place again, and I’ll consider taking you on as a pupil.” The man raises his arm and flicks his hand. Wan feels a slight push, somehow. It startles him enough that he wakes from his meditative state and is back on the floor of his bedroom.

 

To be continued… 











Chapter 56: Shadows of Doubt 

Notes:

Happy Valentines Day

Chapter Text

***3 months ago***

Wan and Yorru stand on the gnarled edge of a great misty canyon. Spires of rocks push out over the ledges and curl like talons. 

“This is the fog of lost souls,” Yorru says, pointing to the gray cloud below them. “I warn all of my pupils of this place. In addition to it being near impossible to escape, it is in a way a sentient creature, known to possess bodies in the physical world. So you can’t assume you know where it is in relation to yourself.”

“Tenzin never mentioned that. But he has been trapped in it before. A vision of his father was what helped him escape.”

“What kind of vision?” Yorru asks curiously.

“I guess he had some unresolved issues with his father, and by overcoming them the fog lifted enough for him to get away.”

“That is interesting.” Yorru motions away from the ledge. The two start walking. “I wonder if it was power possessed by Avatar Aang’s spirit that let him appear to his son’s aid, or was it just a hallucination.”

Wan shrugs. “He didn’t say. Maybe he’s not even sure himself.”

“If my father appeared before me like that, I don’t know if I could forgive him, even if it meant my escape from the fog. What about you?” Yorru looks down at the boy at his side. “If you’re father appeared to you in the fog of lost souls, what would it be like?”

Wan fidgets with his hands as he walks.

“No issues there? How fortunate. Give it time. Father-son dynamics can be tricky.”

Wan thought better of saying anything to correct Yorru’s assumptions, but he was desperate to talk about it with someone. Maybe someone who knew nothing about who his mothers were would be his best option. 

“I don’t know my father,” Wan confesses quietly. 

“So you live with a stepfather?”

Wan shakes his head. 

“Just mom.”

Wan nods. It's not a total lie. 

“Sometimes I wonder if no father is better than a bad one,” Yorru says, as they reach a friendly-looking part of the Spirit World. “It’s important for a young man to have other men in their life. I imagine that is some of the motivation behind spending so much time with Master Tenzin.”

“Yeah, my mothers,” Wan stammers, catching himself. “My mother has me privately tutor with him sometimes. But he doesn’t get me. He’s so old,” He fumbles again. “Not to say that being old means you wouldn’t-”

Yorru chuckles. “No offense taken.”

“You actually listen to me and you’re honest with me about things that aren’t always pleasant. I just want to know things…”

Yorru puts a hand on Wan’s back. “You can ask me anything and I promise I will be straight with you. That is how I treat all my pupils. Knowledge is power. Don’t ever let anyone tell you otherwise.” 

Yorru shields his eyes with his free hand to check the sun. “I’m sorry but I do have to attend to some other students.”

“May I meet some of your other students someday?”

“Yes,” Yorru starts. “You are at a lower level than my other pupils. I don’t want to rush the curriculum, but I think it could be helpful for you to engage with other students. I need to consider who would be a good fit, but I promise I will make this happen.”

Wan smiles and bows. “Thank you master for today’s lesson.”

Yorru bows in turn. Both their spirits fade away.

 

***Present Time***

Asami walks in the door of her home with Ikki trailing behind her. “Guess who is joining us for dinner?”

When no one comes bounding from the kitchen, Asami leads them to the sitting room. Asami pokes her head in to find Korra, Ai, and Kimmi. Wan had excused himself after Zhou Rhen left to do his homework in his room.

“Hi, pardon the intrusion,” Ikki says as she appears at the door beside Asami.

“Ikki! Ikki!” Ai squeals with glee, recognizing the girl's voice instantly. She scrambles from her spot on the loveseat and rushes to the foyer. 

Korra smiles. “Welcome home Babe.”

“Did you prepare anything for dinner? I assume we should have enough?”

Korra shakes her head. “Zhou Rhen was here. Then I just kinda slacked off with the kids. How about we order some takeout?” 

“I should have called," Asami says with a sigh. "Then I could have picked it up on the way home.”

“I can go,” Korra offers. “I’ll see if Wan will keep me company.”

Korra gets up and joins the girls in the kitchen. Ai is happily seated next to Ikki, bargaining with her with questions.  

Korra passes Kimmi to Asami and then goes to the phone. “Any requests or just the usual from Hong’s Noodle House?”

“I think Hong’s is fine,” Asami says, stealing a look at Ikki. Ikki nods her approval. 

After placing the order Korra drifts upstairs to Wan’s room. She gives the door a couple of knocks, but he doesn’t answer. She debates for a moment, is he doing this on purpose or maybe he fell asleep? She didn't want to upset him. That was very easy to do these days.

Korra tries knocking again. Wan still doesn’t respond, so she slowly opens the door. She finds Wan on the floor of his room, in the lotus position. His eyes are open by the time she steps into the room. He blinks a few times, looking rather disoriented. 

“Sorry, were you meditating?” Korra asks. 

“Yeah.”

“Want to come for a drive with me to pick up dinner.”

Wan debates for a moment. 

“We can swing by the spot first if you want. Ikki’s downstairs I’m sure talking your mother’s ear off. They won’t notice if we take a little longer.”

“Okay.” 

 

***

The "spot" is a steamed bun vendor in Avatar Korra Park. The same one Korra and Asami ordered from on their first date and then occasionally frequented, but after they moved out of the apartment downtown and into the house they forgot about the place.

One day when Wan was around five, Korra and him were tasked to run an errand for Asami. They went through the park and Wan spotted the vendor. Even though they had already eaten lunch, Wan insisted on a steamed bun. Korra caved but made sure he promised it was their little secret. 

Korra purchased a bun for each of them. As soon as she took a bite she was overcome with the good taste and memories of coming to the park with Asami. 

Now it was a fondness for both her time with her wife when they were dating and a special moment with her son. Something Korra really hoped he wouldn’t grow out of wanting with her. She knew Wan was almost a teenager, she wasn’t oblivious. In Wan’s especially sulking moments, she would close her eyes and think back to how she was when she was his age. And she would remember having these feelings, often brought on by nothing, and when she was in those moments it wasn’t anything her parents, or in her special case, the White Lotus, did specifically. 

Korra braced herself for a long period of angst with her children. She didn’t get over that until she was eighteen. She privately hoped they’d take after Asami. She knew her wife had her moments as a teen, but she was never as messy. 

Korra turns off the Satomobile when they reach the park. She and Wan step out of the vehicle and take the sidewalk path that will lead them near the turtleduck pond. That was usually where the steam bun vendor parked. 

“So how’s the meditating going? You seem to be into more since your long stay with the temple,” Korra asks, breaking the silence.  

“I find it centering,” Wan replies.

“That’s why your mother likes it. Helped her through a particularly difficult time in her life once.”

They both spot the steam bun cart at the same time and head toward it. The man spies them and gives a wave. He was a short older man. His big balled head didn’t look not unlike a steam bun. It was usually dewy with the steam vapors. 

“Just in time,” He calls out. “I was about to pack up and go.” 

“Thank you for waiting.” Korra jogs up to the cart. She looks back at Wan who is still walking. “What kind do you want?”

“Moo-sow!” Wan calls back.

“Two Moo-sow.” 

The steam bun man nods and opens his woven bamboo steamer. “I just got the one Moo-sow. Picken okay for the second.”

Korra nods. She fishes out a few coins from her pocket and pays. “Have a good night.”

“You too,” the vendor says with a little bow.

Korra passes Wan the moo-sow bun and takes the picken for herself. “Guess we got to get here earlier for the moo-sows, they are the best.”

“I can eat the picken,” Wan offers.

Korra shakes her head. “I like the picken just fine.” She checks her wristwatch. Something Asami forced on her after the children were born. Korra was just not good at keeping track of her time without it. “We have a little bit more time before food is ready for pick up. Let's go check on the turtleducks.”

They walk the small ways to the pond. Only a few of the little creatures are padding around in the water. 

“What was Mom going through?”

Korra quirked her head, forgetting the conversation they had before getting the buns. “Oh, well there was someone who hurt your mother very much, and the stress of it was becoming too consuming. It helped your mother forgive this person. And once she did, she felt so much better.”

“Who hurt her?” 

Korra wrinkles her nose. She takes a few quick bites of her bun to decide how best to answer. 

“Only tell me if you’re going to tell the truth,” Wan sighs, sensing his mother’s hesitation to answer. He breaks off a piece of the dough and chucks it at the turtleducks. They spy the food right away and swim towards it.

“Do you feel that I am not honest with you, Buddy?” Korra asks. 

Wan looks down at his bun. He tears off another bit and chucks it in the water. “Sometimes, when it's serious stuff. It’s not just you. It feels like a lot of people aren’t telling me the whole story.”

Korra contemplatively takes the last couple of bites of her bun. She crumples up the square of parchment paper it came with and shoves it into her pocket. “Your mother and I, and a lot of our friends, had to deal with a lot of complicated people when I first came to the city. Some of these people were really bad,” Korra shakes her head. “They weren’t all bad, but their ideologies were extreme. Do you know what that word means?”

Wan nods. He intensely watches his mother’s face as she speaks. He can see how difficult this is for her. 

“Kuvria was one of them. I know you know about the attack she launched on the city, they teach it at school and we’ve spoken about it before. And you know it was during that attack that your grandfather Hiroshi was killed.” Korra crouches to be face level with Wan. Picks up a stick off the ground to fuss with in her hand. 

Wan nods. “I brought it up to mom the other day and she cried. She never talks about him.”

“That’s a really hard one for her. You see, your mother was very angry with your grandfather for a long time right before he died. His grief over losing his wife caused him to believe that all benders were to blame and he joined up with some extreme people. Your grandfather went to prison after and your mom didn’t want anything to do with him for a while because she was still so angry. She was able to forgive him before he died. He helped save the city.”

“How did grandpa die?”

“Kuvira’s mech crushed him while he was soldering a way for all of us to get inside it and stop it." Unconsciously Korra draws an "X" in the dirt with her stick." Your mom saw it happen.”

Wan feels the wave of guilt he had the other day when he brought it up. 

“It's hard for me to talk about Buddy. My mother died when I was very young, so I don’t have a lot of memories of her and Dad... He died in the Earth Empire invasion. Both of them gave their lives to save mine.” Asami began to tear up.

Korra's knees were getting a little cranky so she stood back up. She moves to toss the stick into the pond but sees the turtleducks are still there. She pivots and throws into a small patch of bushes. “After things settled, there was a big trial for Kuvira. The death penalty was proposed. Your mother and I had a moral dilemma. I did not think Kuvira should be executed, but if your mother did, I didn’t want to impose my beliefs on her, especially because of what happened to her father. She also felt guilty about the time she spent being mad at her father. Asa-Mom, had to sort through all those complicated feelings. Your mom is the strongest and bravest person I’ve ever met.”

Wan looks up at Korra. He can see the admiration on her face. There was a strange notion inside him that this was selfish of his mother. But that didn’t feel right. One of his parents loving and admiring the other this much was a good thing. 

Wan wonders, since his mother is being so frank with him if now was a good possible moment to ask what he really wanted to know. 

Yorru’s deep voice whispers in his mind. “You want to know who your father is? You have every right to.” 

“Looks like it’s time we swung by Hongs. Ready, Buddy?” Korra asks, checking her watch again.

Wan nods and trails a little behind his mother. His nerve, lost. 

 

***

While Korra and Wan are out picking up the food, Ikki, Ai, and Kimmi in her high chair sit around the kitchen table, while Asami puts out place settings. 

Normally Asami would entertain Ikki’s girl troubles over lunch, but she was absolutely swamped with the new Satomobile model launch. Inspired by her growing family, a vehicle with more seating was becoming a necessity. Kimmi could be stowed between her siblings in her special seat, but eventually, three teenagers were going to be cramped in the back. Already there was a lot of fighting for personal space on their family road trips. 

Thus the idea for the Satowagon was born. Three rows of bench seating. A vehicle that could take you and your whole family or a smaller family and luggage. It’s not at the price point for lower-income families yet, but this was the first step in making a car for a family that was affordable to the average United Republic citizen.

So when Ikki showed up this afternoon while she and Ming were pouring over the final markups for the promotional campaign, in near tears, Asami softened and promised she’d make time for her that evening. She would have met up with Ikki for a drink in the city, somewhere adult where Ikki could be more frank, but Korra was going out that night with Mako to do their stake out. 

Asami knew her nights out playing detective was keeping her wife out of real trouble, so she did not want to make her cancel. Fortunately, Ai adores Ikki and loves chatting like 'one of the girls.' 

“So now Yanmei is accusing me of cheating,” Ikki laments. She slaps the table with her palms. “Which is a gross mischaracterization of what she even thinks is going on.”

“You’re playing my Mommy and Mumma, of course, you two got creamery.”

“Chemistry dear,” Asami corrects, placing a pitcher of water in the center of the table. 

Ai giggles. “What does that mean?”

“Ai, remember we talked about not pretending to understand if we don’t?” Asami lowers her voice as she moves to Ikki’s side, putting a glass at her place setting. 

“She keeps doing this at school and then when the tests come around, she flunks.”

“The way I’m using it means when two people get along really well,” Ikki explains, lacing her fingers together for emphasis.

“Ah, see, I kinda knew that,” Ai says proudly.

“So,” Asami starts, taking a free seat. The table is prepped for the food. “Are you flirting with your co-star?”

"No! Maybe she’s flirting with me, but she just seems like the kind of person that flirts with everyone.” Ikki blushes. “Yanmei wants me to choose between her and the mover, which is ridiculous.”

“You can’t quit the mover!” Ai gasps. “But I don’t want you two to break up either.”

Ikki lets out a long groan. “Asami, you were married and thinking about having your first kid at my age. Why can’t I get it together and settle down?”

Asami pours herself some water from the pitcher. She hesitated on how to answer that. There was some brutal honesty she could give the younger girl, but this question was likely rhetorical. Asami adores Ikki and knows one day she’ll find the right one and that person will be so lucky to have her. But she couldn’t deny the girl was not great a lot of the time in her relationships. “You might just not be ready and you shouldn’t compare yourself with others. There is no true time when you should be with the right person. Korra and I? We got lucky. And you know how long at the time it felt like I had to wait for her to be ready. If Yanmei isn’t the right one, you can’t force it. If she’s making you choose between her and your aspirations, I don’t think she’s someone you should be with.” 

“Yeah,” Ikki sighs, nodding her head. “Now she’s going to read the break up as me choosing that other girl. And it’s not like that.” 

“You can’t control how she’s going to think about it, so best not to worry too much.”           

Ai releases a long sigh. “Dating sounds hard.”

Asami and Ikki giggle. 

“Lucky for you, it’s nothing you have to worry about anytime soon,” Ikki says, patting Ai’s arm. “And when you do, you got a really good Mom to talk to about dating with.”

“Oh goodness. I’m going to blink and that day is going to come,” Asami sighs.

“What day?” Korra asks, food and Wan in tow. 

“Me dating!” Ai chirps.

Korra’s eyebrows shoot up. “You’re not dating now are you?”

Ai shakes her head.

“No we’re just talking about how that day will be here before we know it,” Ikki says mischievously. She turns her focus to Wan. “You’re getting to that age. Is there anyone you’re sweet on?”

Wan blushes. “No!” 

Ai stands up in her seat excitedly. She holds to the table with one hand and raises another like she’s in class. “I see Wan blush every time he talks to the girl who works at the library! She’s older!”

“I do not!” Wan protests. He puts the takeout bag he’s carrying on the table. 

Asami puts a hand on her daughter, encouraging her to sit back down. “Don’t tease your brother.”

“Nothing wrong with liking them older,” Korra says, stealing a look at her wife. She gives her a wink. Korra puts her bag next to Wans and starts pulling out containers. She passes them to Asami. “So what’d we miss? Ikki you staying with Yanmei or breaking up?”

 

**

Zhou Rhen arrives at the temple just as the sun sets. By his estimation, dinner had either started or was just about to. He nervously debates his next action. Does he go to his room unseen and camp out there for the night, sneaking a snack after everyone’s gone to sleep and seeking out Jinora in the morning? Or does he desperately try to act normal and eat a meal, then try and get her alone after? 

His decision was made for him, as he catches Pema’s eye in the courtyard. She rings the dinner bell and waves Zhou Rhen toward her. 

“Perfect timing!” She chirps. 

Zhou Rhen tries not to grimace. “Perfect.” 

“Jinora should be in there already, I’m sure you're eager to catch up.”

Zhou Rhen follows Pema to the dining hall and privately debates if she knows anything. He had little idea how much of her private life Jinora discussed with her mother or anyone for that matter. Shouldn’t he know this about the woman he’s supposedly in love with? His stomach contracts at the thought. 

To Zhou Rhen’s relief, any spots near Jinora are occupied. He gives her a wave and then takes a seat at the far end of the table she’s at. To his left is Rohan and he couldn’t be more relieved. The youngest sibling was a very bright and interesting young man. Zhou Rhen could comfortably get lost in a conversation with him for the duration of the meal. 

That is exactly what Zhou Rhen did. He learned of the boys’ new intense interest in Pai Sho, so he shared the game's rich history and association with the White Lotus. Zhou Rhen did make sure to steal the occasional glance Jinora’s way. To make sure she was still at the table. 

People were starting to get up, so he dared a look. Jinora was looking his way as if waiting for him to. She motions to the door with her head and gets up. Zhou Rhen has to wait a few moments to find a pause in the conversation to politely excuse himself. 

Jinora is waiting outside the dining hall. Her arms wrapped around herself. Zhou Rhen at that moment wished to warm her, but he still didn’t know where they stood. 

“Let’s go to the beach,” Jinora says quietly. She starts in that direction. “I’ve been drawn to it more since I came back.”

Zhou Rhen follows. They walk in silence. As they move further and further a knot begins to work and form in Zhou Rhen’s guts. If it was a happy yes, she’d eagerly say something, right? The hesitancy is not a good sign. 

Jinora stops before the steps to the shore. They can see the beach and ocean from the vantage. She decides to not take them any further. 

Zhou Rhen takes one look back at the temple. It emits a soft glow that casts a little light on their faces even from where they are. 

“I read your letter,” Jinora starts. 

Zhou Rhen bows his head slightly. He looks to his feet, but they are obscured by his robes. 

“I’m at a bit of a loss here. I’m not having strong feelings either way. No doesn’t feel right, but yes doesn’t either.”

“Is it the age gap?” Zhou Rhen asks quietly.

“No, I think it's just me.” Jinora shakes her head. “I haven’t had any romantic feelings for anyone since Kai. And don’t think I’m hung up on him, I’m not. When I learned he got married, I was genuinely happy for him.”

Zhou Rhen shuffles from side to side. He wants to ask questions but thinks better of it.

“I guess what I am trying to say is I can’t return your level of affection at this time, but that doesn’t mean I never will. I am open to the possibility.” Jinora tries to see Zhou Rhen’s reaction, but his eyes are still locked on the ground. “Hopefully that doesn’t make things too weird for you. If you need some space I understand.”

Zhou Rhen nods a few times. He was rejected. Not wholly, but these weren’t the words he was hoping to hear. “Thank you for letting me know. I think we can just interact as we have moving forward. Avatar Korra should be around sometime tomorrow to speak with me. There are some,” Zhou Rhen pauses to sort out how he should phrase his uncle's warning. “White Lotus updates I’d like to discuss with you as well.”

“No problem. I’ll be around, just find me when Korra gets here.” 

“Well, it's been a long day for me. I think I’ll head to my room,” Zhou Rhen says, gesturing to the temple. 

“I’ll walk with you.”

The two quietly walk back towards the temple. Zhou Rhen wishes he could think of something to say to lighten the mood. Let Jinora know it was okay. 

“I overheard Rohan talking your ear off about Pai Sho,” Jinora starts. “You know he wants to go to a university in the Fire Nation to join their professional team?”

“Oh really?” Zhou Rhen breathes, relieved. “We didn’t get to that.” 

“Different island than where you're stationed, but it might help give my parents comfort if I remind them he’d be close-ish to the White Lotus.”

“I think that’s great that he wants to study abroad.”

Jinora chuckles. “Of course you do. That’s all I heard from you for years until I finally caved.”

 

******

In the run-down building across from the mysterious red hand-print cellar door, Korra and Mako have set up their stakeout spot. There was a good-sized window facing the cellar door. They put up some boxes to cover most of the window, save a small slot they could easily peer through while seated. So far, they had gone undetected.

“Man, I should have brought a snack,” Korra groans as she gets up from her chair. She walks around a little, stretching her arms over her head. She then moves to lunges. 

“Well we can’t have a delivery guy coming by, so you’re going to have to tough it out,” Mako grumbles. 

 “Maybe we should try going undercover and selling to them or something. They barely come and go and when they do, it's so inconspicuous.” 

“I don’t even know what they're buying.”

“Religious cult was thrown around, why don’t we talk to the Creeping Crystals? Their front is sage and healing gems.”

“That’s not a terrible idea.” 

“Let's go to their shop.”

“Now? It’s late.”

“They’re a shady front, I’m sure they are still open.”

Mako and Korra have an easy exit out of the building to Mako’s Satomobile, with little chance of anyone seeing them. They make the short drive to Dragon Alley, where a lot of ‘healing’ shops were located. Sprinkled among new age massage pallors and stores owned by recent immigrants, because the rents were cheaper if you were looking to get your start in Republic City. 

The Creeping Crystals’s “Healing Herbs and Crystals” shop was located at the very end of the strip. Korra and Mako walk Dragon Alley, keeping an eye out for anyone who looked out of place. Most of the stores were closed and shuttered for the night, but there was still a good amount of activity on the street. 

They see the purplish glow of the lit window,  of the place they are looking for. Korra marches right in, with Mako trailing closely behind. 

“Avatar Korra, what an honor,” A woman from behind the front counter calls out. She has olive skin and long dark hair with several woven braids mixed in her tresses. “What are you in the market for?”

“Information,” Korra says bluntly. “The new group in town, with the red hand print, are they buying from you?”

Mako covers his face with a palm. “You’re just going straight for it.” He mutters.

“Red hand print?” The shopkeep asks, cocking her head to the side.

“Yeah, got their base on Eighth Street, not too far from the docks. Seems a little religious.”

“Have you had anyone new frequenting that maybe stood out to you in any way?” Mako adds. 

The woman smirks. “You know nothing in the shop is free, including information.”

Korra frowns. She looks around the shop and haphazardly grabs a couple of bundles of sage, and an amethyst pyramid. She puts them on the counter. 

The woman asses the pile and looks back at Korra, unmoved. 

Korra snorts and moves toward the back of the shop. She eyes bottles of tinctures. She grabs a couple of bottles of rose oil. Something maybe Asami could use. “Mako pick out something nice for your girlfriend.”

“You know I don’t have one,” Mako grunts.

“Then a future girlfriend.”

Mako looks at the rack of necklaces, each having a different gemstone. “What’s a lucky one?”

The woman smirks. “The citrine.”

Mako’s fingers waver between the two he thinks could possibly be the stone she’s talking about.

“The yellowish-green one.”

Korra and Mako meet each other back at the counter with their additions to the purchase pile.

The shopkeeper starts to tally the items. Her register bings and Korra looks at the total. She grumbles as she fishes around her pocket for her coin purse. 

“There has been a man who started frequenting me a little over a year ago. Really knows his stuff, which to be honest, unusual for this city. Never interested in anything from the back, if you know what I mean.”

Korra and Mako exchange a look. 

“Can we get a description of this guy?” Mako asks, leaning on the counter. “Or a name? Anything we can do to find him.”

The woman ungulates her shoulders a bit and then crosses her arms. “He usually comes on Friday afternoons. Not always, you can’t hold me to it. Dark hair, long goatee, and these funny little round glasses.”

“Understood, thank you,” Mako says with a little bow.  

“Jargala.”

Mako nods. Thank you, Jargala.”

“You want a bag for all this?” Jargala gestures to their random purchases.

Korra smiles overly sweetly. “Yes please.”



***Two Months Ago*** 

Wan appears in the Xai Bao’s Grove as scheduled, and to his surprise, Yorru is not alone. A man, around his parents' age, sits in the Seiza position near Yorru, who is under his tree. 

“This is Nimol,” Yorru says, motioning to the man. 

Nimol bows, his hands lowering to the ground. “Pleased to meet you, Wan.”

“He is one of my best students, but he is often burdened by traumatic memories. This can make it difficult for him to meditate in the Spirit World. While meditating he can get caught in one of these memories instead.”

Nimol adjusts into the lotus position. “My father was abusive. I often go back to moments of him hurting my mother.”

“Today I am going to walk him through techniques to bring up these memories and then how to deal with them.” Yorru motions for Wan to sit beside Nimol. The boy obeys. “I want to teach these skills to you too.”

Wan looks over to Nimol. He has his eyes closed. Patiently he waits for further instructions.

“I want to show you Wan that you can have difficulties at any age. Just because you are an adult, does not mean you have dealt with all of your problems as a whole. This is a trap many fall into.”

Wan nods and closes his eyes. 

“I want you both to take a deep breath in,” Yorru breathes in and the two others mirror him. “And then out. Now think back to when you were small. A moment of hurt or frustration. Perhaps all you can remember is the feeling.”

Wan absorbs Yorru’s words, falling into a bit of a trance. It’s dark with his eyes closed until suddenly there is a flash. He finds himself in a very sterile environment. It looks like a hospital. He tries to piece together why he is there but he finds his conscious thoughts slipping away.

Three-year-old Wan wasn’t sure what was happening, except that something was going on with his mom and all the adults were upset. Atta, Anaana, and he took a taxi from the docs to the hospital and were now in the waiting room, where they had been for several hours. 

Wan was camped out on the floor with Anaana, there were some blocks for him to play with, but he had gotten bored of them. He was now flipping through the few picture books they had. Anaana pointed out different things they saw and said their names. 

A door bursts open and Korra dashes through it. She immediately sees her parents and son, and nearly doubles over in relief. 

“Korra!” Tonraq says, shooting up from his chair. 

“Is she? Are they?” Korra asks between breaths, as she jogs toward the next set of doors. 

“Yes, the doctor will-” Senna starts, but her daughter isn’t paying attention.

Wan at the sight of his other mother drops the book from his hand and starts to toddle after Korra. Senna fumbled for a moment to get off the floor to stop the boy. Wan feels tears start to burn the corner of his eyes and he cries out for Korra. He watches her disappear, she never looks back. 

Tonraq is able to hold out a large hand and catch him before he gets too far. He lifts Wan and brings him on his lap. 

“Come sit with Atta,” Tonraq says gently, bouncing the boy on his knee. 

“She didn't care about you.” Yorru’s voice whispers to younger Wan. He turns his little body around and it his Atta still, but the voice is Yorru’s. “Your mothers don’t care about you like they should. They only care about each other.”

Wan fusses in his seat. Find the words and the mismatched voices all very upsetting. 

“Korra never came back for you. She took your mom and Ai home and they left you at the hospital with me and your Anaana. They completely forgot about you.” 

Anaana returns to the waiting room. “Yup, they're gone,” She says, but it's not her voice. It’s a deeper voice, but they're talking in a higher pitch. “Guess we better leave too.”

“Let’s just take Wan back with us. Best to not bother the new family,” Atta says, rising from his seat. He scoops up Wan like he weighs nothing in his massive arms. 

Wan’s eyes flutter open, but instead of sitting in Xai Bao Grove, he’s on the floor of his room. He looks at his clock, he still has time before someone knocks telling him it's dinner time. Wan closes his eyes and tries to get back to the Spirit World, but his thoughts keep going back to the hospital. But nothing concrete came to mind, just fleeting images of a dream after you’ve woken up and mostly forgotten it. 

It was no use, he couldn’t get the focus to return. Wan rises from the floor and goes over to his desk. He pulls out his notebook and notes the time he went into the Spirit World and for how long. It was getting easier to return to the Spirit World, but he still wanted to make notes of any patterns. 

 

**A few days later***

After school, Wan goes up to his room claiming to have a lot of homework. He sits down on his floor, puts his palms together, and makes the transition to the Spirit World and into Xai Bao’s Grove. 

Yorru is waiting for him. “Welcome back, Wan. I was worried about you when you didn’t return the other day.”

Wan normally would go and sit in front of Yorru, but he stayed standing where he appeared. “I was trapped in a memory, I think. When I came to, I was back in my room.”

Yorru bows his head. “It’s as I expected, you have troubling memories that can and will cause you difficulties connecting with the Spirit World.”

“There was something kind of off about it. I was really young, so I don’t fully remember what happened. But it felt like you were in it.”

“Hmm,” Yorru ponders. “That is interesting. Tell me more.”

“Like your voice was coming out of my Ah-grandfather. And then someone else's out of my grandmother.”

“I was guiding you and Nimol, probably my guiding voice got mixed with the memory. Tell me, what was the memory you had?”

Wan looks down at his hands. 

“Nimol and I discussed this during the rest of the session. I wish you could have been there. I wanted to give you the full experience my advanced pupils have,” Yorru urges.

Wan debates how much to say. Up until this moment, he hasn’t told Yorru the truth about who he was. His parents were so prominent, that once people knew he was their child, it changed how they interacted with him. Yorru seemed to be a very worldly person, he would know who Korra was and likely his mother Asami too. 

“Was your memory about your father?”

“No, I’ve never met him.” Wan shakes his head. “The vision I had was about when my sister was born…”

“So it was about her father?”

Wan scrunches his face. “No, we have the same dad.”

Wan can feel how confused Yorru must be. That, and turning himself into a pretzel to not explain everything was becoming too stressful.

“It’s complicated,” the boy laments. “And my moms won't talk about it and I have a lot of questions.”

“Do you have same-sex parents?”

“Yes.”

“Does that bother you?”

“No,” Wan thinks about the early months of sixth grade. After that one science class about the reproductive system, it seemed to cement in all his peers' minds that there was something weird about him. It’s not like they didn’t know he had two moms until that moment. He supposed they never thought about how that came to be until that class. “But one day at school it seemed to bother everyone else.”

“Do you wish to know your father?”

Wan considers the question. His first thought was yes, but a part of him knew that meeting this person wouldn’t mean he suddenly had a father. They don’t know each other at all. He could have walked by this person in the streets a hundred times and been none the wiser. 

It wasn’t until this year did he consider the man who helped create him much thought. How could he feel an absence of something he never had? His mothers were very attentive and loving, he knew that. They, if pretty obviously, made sure there were adult men in his life. Mako, Bolin, Tenzin, and Atta are fine, but they felt like uncles and didn’t especially connect with them. Mako was always a little stiff and formal. Bolin was fun, but he was very physical and so were his sons. Tenzin, as he’s lamented before, is just really old. Same with Atta, but it was more he just didn’t see him as often. There was something comforting about Atta, he was a bear of a man, but gentle. 

He knew Atta and Anaana were his major like to his Watertribe heritage. Living in Republic City, he felt pretty removed from it. Not that he minded. Trips there were very cold and involved a lot of outdoor activities. Some were fun, but after a few hours, Wan was ready to go warm up inside with a good book. 

Wan wondered if he felt like he could ask his mothers about his father, or maybe if there had been a more open dialogue from the beginning, he wouldn’t feel so weird about it now. They didn’t withhold, but if Wan or Ai didn’t ask, they didn’t bring it up. 

“I would,” Wan finally answers. “But I don’t want to upset my mothers.” 

“Upsetting them shouldn’t be a concern of yours. You have every right to know where you come from. It’s very selfish of them to keep something like that from you.”

Wan looks to the ground. The reddish blades of grass he’s been stepping on are pressed down flat by his shuffling feet. 

“If they cared about you, you wouldn’t even have to ask about such a thing. They would have introduced you to him by now. Or you could have even grown up seeing him.” Yorru lets out a long breath. “Let's try revisiting that memory. I want you to be able to return to the Spirit World from memories.”

“I think I’m a little too tired for that today,” Wan says hesitantly. “Can we save it for next time?

Yurro lowers his gaze. Wan can feel his eyes searching his face. 

“Yes, it will be much harder for you to combat the difficult memories if you are tired. Return to your body, and work on your grounding meditations. We’ll meet again next week.”

Wan bows. “Yes, master.”

 

*** Present Time***

Korra was in the air. She knew that because the rocky pillars below were going by so fast she could barely make them out. She cocks her head to the sky and in the distance, she can see Zaheer zipping into a whiff of cloud. 

It locks into Korra’s mind what she needs to do. She must stop Zaheer. No matter what it takes. She adjusts her body to best propel herself with her fire jets when a voice whispers, “Let go.”

Korra falls slightly. She’s not sure how she’s moving through the air without the occasional fire blast from her feet or touching down. Her body continues to thrust forward with little control.

“The world doesn’t need you anymore,” another voice calls out. 

Again, Korra’s body falters, bringing her closer to the rock pillars below. She spies Zaheer standing on one a few yards ahead. 

“Give up,” he shouts at her as she flies by him. Korra turns her head to try and get a look at him. He’s gone. She looks back ahead and he’s on the next pillar. And the next. 

“Let go!” Zaheer and a chorus of other voices holler at her. Each call drags her closer to earth until finally, she’s at a nighty degree angle straight towards the earth. As she gets closer she picks up speed. 

“Let go!” 

“Give up!”

Korra covers her face as she braces for impact. Her world goes dark for a moment until she feels a hand on the back of her neck. Her limp body is easily tossed, flipping her over. 

Zaheer saunters Korra’s way until he is standing over her body. He’s holding the ceremonial bowl from the cave. “The world doesn’t need you anymore.” He tips it over and lets the metallic goop wash over Korra’s face. Her world goes dark again. 

“Korra!” The last time gets Korra’s eyes to open. Her pupils are wild and full, blocking out most of the icy blue. They settle on Asami’s concerned face and begin to relax.

“It was just a nightmare,” Asami says softly, brushing a few sweaty strands of hair from Korra’s face.

“What the heck?” Korra moans, dragging her body to sit upright. The light on Asami’s bedside table is on and feels very bright to her. Korra squints for a while as she moves. She sees her hands are clenched tightly on the sheets. She releases them and her now free hands run over her face, pushing her hair back. “I haven’t had a dream like that in so long.” 

Asami seeks out Korra’s leg under the covers and rests a hand there.“Want to talk about it?”

Korra shakes her head. “It’d be silly too. It was the battle with Zaheer. Ancient history.” 

“That was a very traumatic moment in your life.” Asami leans against their headboard and opens her arms. “Come here.”

Korra makes the short crawl into her wife’s arms. She drapes her body on top of Asami’s. Nestling her head in the crook of Asami’s armpit, her arm across her middle. “I’m sweaty.”

“I like you sweaty,” Asami murmurs, clutching Korra. They both relax once their bodies are close. 

“Is there ever just a day when you feel like an adult?” Korra sighs. “I feel like I’m still waiting for that day when I’ll feel all grown up.”

“I think that’s an illusion given to us as children. By people who don’t even feel grown up themselves.”

“We got kids. That must count for some grown-up points.”

Asami chuckles. “They bring me so much joy, but sometimes it feels like my heart is walking outside of my body. First in two pieces, now three.”

“I know.” Korra clutches Asami’s waist a little tighter. “My greatest fear is losing you all. And it will be my fault. My choice.”

Asami tries to angle her head to see Korra, but she’s looking away. “You’re choice?”

“That one day my Avatar duties will force me to choose between saving you and the world. It’s an impossible choice many Avatars are faced with. I faced it with you and that building during the badgermole attack. I failed the test. I refused to choose and got lucky. But it haunts me, Asami. That moment has brought more sleepless nights than Zaheer could ever wish upon me.”

Asami sits up, forcing Korra to rise with her. Asami puts a hand on Korra’s cheek to turn her head to face her. “You didn’t fail, you saved everyone.”

Korra leans into Asami’s touch. Tears force their way from the corners of her eyes and down her cheeks.

“This is why you act so strange about the movers about the badgermole attack?”

Korra nods. 

“Why didn’t you just say so? I would have understood. Ikki will understand.”

“I’m ashamed, Asami,” Korra whimpers.

“There is no shame in what you did. Or even what you thought.” Asami moves so she is sitting face to face with Korra. “I know who you are and what that means. I went into this fully accepting your duty will come first. I wish I had said this to you sooner; but after all we had been through together, I just assumed you knew that I understood having been by your side.”

“No, I know. You’ve never made me feel like you don’t or wouldn’t understand.” Korra covers her face with one of her hands. Sloppily wiping away some of the tear streams. “I wish I could give you and the kids a normal life.”

“There is no such thing as a normal life, Korra.”

“You know what I mean.”

Asami looks up at their ceiling and lets out a long breath. “Sure, would some days be easier if you weren’t the Avatar? But there is only one person I want to share my life with and that’s you and you are the Avatar. We’ve made it work so far. I don’t see that changing.”

Korra cracks a small smile through her tears. “Why did it take me so long to see you?”

Asami’s face scrunches, confused. “What?”

“I should have proposed to you the very moment I met you. I was so stupid being jealous of you being with Mako.”

“It never would have worked then, Babe. We got together at the right moment in our lives. We weren’t ready for this when we first met. And now we’ve been together longer than we haven’t been.”

“I’ve known you more than half my life now. It was half my life two years ago.” 

Korra squints one of her eyes doing the math in her head. “It was half of yours a year ago.”

“Hey,” Asami pats Korra’s leg, bringing her back to focus. “Thank you for telling me about the badgermole attack. I figured it was the scare of being kidnapped while pregnant, but now I understand it was so much more than that. And Ikki knows to keep the mover talk to a minimum.”

Korra shakes her head. “She shouldn’t, she’s just excited about getting a big role. I know that.” 

“Ikki’s not a child anymore and she’s got plenty of people to be excited about it for her.” 

“So did she end up breaking up with another girlfriend?”

Asami flops her body back down onto the bed. An arm casually drifts over her head and rests on the pillow. “That girl! I keep telling her, and myself that she will find the right one one day. But man, she just keeps burning through them.”

Korra lies back down as well, resting her head on her own pillow. She turns to the side to face Asami. 

“It’s Shey’s influence. Ikki was at a very impressionable age around Shey during a very promiscuous time. And she was so enamored by Shey, probably even a little crush.”

“Maybe they’ll end up together,” Korra says with a snort.

“Don’t even joke about that!” Asami squeals. “Knowing how the universe works she totally will and it will be so weird when we have to go to their wedding!”

“Maybe they’ll double up with Jinora and Zhou Rhen. Apparently, he’s got a thing for Jinora. Wrote her a confession of love.”

Asami rolls over to be on her side and faces her wife. “Really?”

“Serious,” Korra says with a nod. “But Jinora kinda turned him down. Not a full no, more I guess she just doesn’t know. She mentioned she hasn’t had any romantic feelings in years.”

“There are people who are like that. It would be very befitting of her station if that's the case.”

“It’s hard to imagine, as a fool of love myself.”

Asami scoots a little closer. Their mouths are now only a few inches apart. “I’m just as much a fool for you.” 

Korra closes the distance and presses her lips to her wife’s. She had no idea what time it was, probably stupid late, but Korra didn’t care. Feeling Asami’s body on her was more important than sleeping right now.

 

To be continued…

 

Chapter 57: Sparks

Chapter Text

*** 7 months ago***

The previous afternoon when Wan and Ai returned home from school, it was all Wan could do to not burst into tears when Korra greeted them at the door. 

“Buddy, what’s wrong?” Korra asks, moving towards her visibly upset son. She holds out her arms to embrace him, but Wan pushes past her to go to his room. 

Ai tottles over to her mother and says in a soft voice. “Fenhua told people about the time Wan wet the bed during a sleepover, but he lied and said it was last year, but really it was like when they were six. Now everyone’s teasing him about it.”

“Why is Fenhua doing this?” Korra asks, crouching down to be the same height as her daughter. “They were such close friends.”

Ai shrugs. “I think it’s the boys he’s hanging out with. They’re just meanies. I’ve been exploding all their drinks at school, but it hasn’t made them stop.”

“What?”

“If I see them go to drink at the fountain or sip their juice box, I send the stuff right in their faces,” Ai says gleefully.

Korra puts a hand on her daughter’s shoulder. “That’s very sweet of you, but you can’t keep doing that or you’ll get into trouble.”

Asami had mentioned to Korra that Wan was having a difficult start to the year, but since then nothing else had come up, until that day. Later that night Korra and Asami met with Wan in his room to get caught up on all that had been happening. 

Now Korra and Asami are seated in front of the headmaster's office, waiting to be seen by him. Korra could barely contain her vibrating rage, as she sat cross-armed in her seat. Her legs planted squarely apart, both bouncing up and down. 

The office door opens and the headmaster waves them in. “Mrs and Mrs Sato.”

Korra shoots up from her seat, with Asami quickly behind her. Asami grabs Korra’s hand and gives it a little squeeze in an attempt to calm her down a bit. She releases it as they sit in the two armchairs in front of the headmaster’s desk. 

The older man awkwardly smiles and then clears his throat. “I know you are here because there have been a few incidents with your son this semester, which we have been aware of. It is our philosophy that young men and women should be able to come to their own resolutions in these manners. It’s a vital skill.”

Korra leans forward in her chair, resting an elbow on the headmaster’s desk. “Yeah, sure, but they are children, and we’re adults and it’s our job to protect and guide them when they can’t ‘come to their own resolutions’.” She uses air quotations as she says the last few words for emphasis. 

“We feel they haven’t reached a true impasse yet," the headmaster replies, leaning proudly back into his chair. It groans as it adjusts. 

“Are the other parents aware of what’s going on? Or is it just us?” Korra asks, motioning between herself and Asami.

The headmaster grimaces and mindlessly adjusts a few papers on his desk. “I don’t expect the other kids would disclose their behavior.”

“No, I wouldn’t either, but you should have.” Korra shoots out of her seat. “This is ridiculous.”

Asami mirrors her wife, rising from her chair as well. “If you are unwilling to get the other parents involved so they can speak with their children and curb this behavior, then we are going to have to make a drastic decision.”

“I don’t think it’s at the point where you need to consider un-enrolling your child.”

“Is that so?” Korra crosses her arms. “Cos I see him coming home, near tears and I find out this isn’t anything new, and the school isn’t doing anything about this. I don’t think we’re making a big leap in logic here. And based on how this conversation is going, I don’t see you suddenly making any changes and if you do, it’s out of fear of losing our hefty semesterly tuition payments, and not out of concern for the well-being of our child.”

“Avatar Korra, I would never-” The headmaster starts. Korra holds up a hand and interrupts. 

“I’ve heard enough. We’re talking to Wan, and if he doesn’t want to go to school here anymore, then good riddance.”

Korra reaches for Asami’s hand and they walk together out of the office.

“Avatar Korra, Mrs. Sato, please wait!” The headmaster calls out as the door slams shut. 

 

***Present time, A week later***

Korra’s family enjoyed the gifts from the Creeping Chrystals shop, finding the items novel and strange. She gave the sage to Wan for his meditations, the gem to Ai who found it very pretty, and the oils to Asami. A few days later Ai requested she pick her up a tarot deck so she can bring it to school and read her friend's fortunes, should she go back. 

Korra and Mako are currently camped out near the store. They requested Asami help dress them to look more like the part of people who frequented a crystal shop. Korra wore a red sarong with a loose floral pattern top. Her short hair has a few small wrapped braids on the left side. Mako refused most of the initial outfit, so he wore his simple black trousers and a tight-fitting black top from his closet, with a colorful woven vest.

Mako checks his watch. “Well, it’s almost four, when does it stop being considered afternoon?”

“She did say this guy doesn’t come every week.”

“Please be this week. I don’t want to have to play dress up again,” Mako moans.

“You don’t like your duds?” Korra smirks and tugs at Mako’s vest. Her expression then hardens. “I’ve been meaning to tell you, I got an interesting bit of news from Zhou Rhen last week.”

“Yeah?”

“His uncle pulled him aside before coming here and told Zhou Rhen he thinks the Red Lotus is back and has infiltrated the White.”

Mako jerks his head to face Korra. “You're kidding.”

“No, that’s what he told me. Jinora and I were shocked.”

A small group of older women walk near to the pair. They go quiet for a moment as they let the women shuffle pass. It looked like they must have just come from the market. They were all bogged down with sacks of leafy greens and root vegetables. Korra and Mako politely nod as they pass. Their wrinkled faces smile in response. 

“A lot of effort was put into tracking the other members down. We didn’t find any sects in Republic City, but I know Lord Zuko spent his remaining years chasing after them.” Mako lets out a long breath. “So what does that mean?” 

Korra shrugs her shoulders. ”Apparently, his uncle doesn’t have any concrete proof, so he’s advising extreme caution when interacting with the White Lotus. I only go through Zhou Rhen, who will go to his uncle.” 

“Only through the uncle huh?” Mako tugs at his short beard. “Watch, it's Zhou Rhen’s uncle whose the mole and he’s come up with the perfect scheme to get information filtered straight to him!”

“You're so suspicious. Though, when you look at it, he could be like another Aiwei. But we wouldn’t be aware that the Red Lotus is potentially back without him.”

“See,” Mako says, holding his hands out like he was holding a box. He then waves them side to side. “That’s the perfect cover! I think you should hold all contact with the White Lotus for the time being.”

“Fine,” Korra groans. “Didn’t have anything to tell them anyways.”

“Frickin’ weird cults in the city, now the Red Lotus might be back and hiding in the White Lotus. You said things were too quiet around here, look what you’ve done.”

Korra scoffs. “I doubt my boredom willed these organizations into being.”

“Well, you still put the sentiment out into the universe.” Mako points to the shop. “Let’s go in and browse for a bit. I think Jargala’s working the register now.”

A bell rings and chimes when they pass through the front door of the crystal shop. 

“Welcome back,” Jargala says, recognizing the pair immediately. “I like the new looks.”

Korra smiles and waves. “There is something I am in the market for this time, do you have tarot decks?”

“Near the bookshelf in the back.”

Korra follows her instructions while Mako stays by the front of the store. He moves to the window, and peers through the display. Hands behind his back. Jargala watches as he stands there, unmoving for several minutes.

“If you’re going to stake out in my store, I need you to be a little less obvious,” Jargala calls out. 

Mako flushes and picks up a nearby stone and pretends to examine it. The front door opens and to Mako’s relief, a man fitting Jaragala’s description comes in. He is much taller and a little younger than Mako envisioned. In his late fifties, maybe early sixties but his hair is still ink-black. He was dressed in all black, not unlike Mako, except without the vest. The only bit of color came from a red pedant, but he couldn’t make out any details on it.

“Mr. Devi, welcome back.”

The man reaches into his pocket and pulls out a small notebook. He flips through a few pages and then tears out a sheet. Jargala accepts it and then leaves the counter to disappear in the back behind a draped curtain. 

Korra attempts a casual walk past the curtain, trying to sneak a peek at what Jargala is getting, but it's too dark. 

After a few minutes, Jargala returns to the front with a small satchel. She rings up the items and Devi pays. 

“A receipt, if you could,” Devi says sweetly.

Jargala pulls out a slip of receipt paper and writes the amount. She then tucks it into the bag of goods. 

“Thank you.” 

Devil slings it over his shoulder and makes his way out of the shop. 

Korra dashes to the front of the store to Mako’s side at the window and they watch him take left down the main strip.

“Okay, let’s move,” Mako whispers and they leave the shop.

“Oh crap,” Korra starts, glancing back. “I forgot to buy a tarot deck.”

“Another time!” 

Devi takes a sharp right off of Dragon Alley and into a side street. Mako and Korra wait at the beginning of the short street, it would have been obvious they were following him if they joined him. Once he makes another durn he rushes the narrow street to catch him walking down Main St. 

The two are able to get lost in the bustle of commuters and keep a comfortable distance from Devi. They follow him for a ways and when they pass the street that would have been most direct back to the hideout, Korra and Mako both audibly air their disappointment. 

“Let's just follow him a little longer,” Mako mutters, picking up his speed a little. 

Devi goes a few more blocks and then turns into a Fire Nation market. The pair don’t follow him in, but peer into one of the windows. It’s a fairly small market, with a few long shelves. All containing Fire Nation goods. A whole shelf was dedicated to spices. That was where Devi stood, selecting out a few small jars. 

Devi moves to the cashier, which is near the window. Korra and Mako duck down, hands to the sidewalk and then they shuffle away until they are below a solid stone wall. 

“So he’s getting more herby stuff,” Korra grumbles.

Mako steps in front of Korra and puts his arm on the wall, appearing like he was pinning her to it. “He’s coming out.”

Devi exits the shop, looks back at Korra and Mako, and shakes his head slightly. 

Korra watches their target leave over Mako’s arm. “Okay, we can move again.”

To their delight, he takes a left turn and a street leading back towards the hideout. Turn after turn and they are closer to the red hand print. 

“We should run to the stakeout spot,” Korra suggests, turning them down a side street. They follow it to the back of the building they’ve been camping out in. Mako quickly unlocks the door and they scramble to their small viewing slot out the window. They only have to wait a few moments and Devi appears in they’re sights.

Devi takes a few glances around, and when he seems to be confident he is alone, he knocks on the door. Two knocks, then one, and two again. The cellar doors open and Devi dashes inside. 

“He’s one of those guys!” Korra shouts, jabbing her elbow into Mako. 

“Yeah!” Mako replies, but then his enthusiasm wanes. “But this doesn’t really tell us much. We got to go back to the shop and find out what he bought.”

“Herbs, right?” Korra shrugs. 

“But for what purpose? And Jargala was selling them out of the back, are they illegal?” 

“I’m going to need to buy more than a tarot deck if we think she’s going to tell us what illegal herbs she is selling out of the back of her store.”

“We can stop by Future Industries on the way back if you need to hit up your wife for a little more coin,” Mako says, rubbing his pointer finger against his thumb for emphasis.  

Korra scowls. “Don’t the police have a budget for undercover purchasing?”

“This investigation isn't on the books. Private funding only.”

“Then yes, I need to hit up a bank on the way back. I have my own money, thank you.”

 

***

Mako and Korra return to the Healing Herbs and Crystals shop. Korra rushes to the back where the tarot cards are and grabs a box. She then joins Mako and Jargala at the register. 

Korra plops the box of cards down and a pile of silver. “We need to know what he bought.” 

Jargala scoops up the coin and rings up the tarot cards for the exact amount of Korra’s bribe. 

“We don’t care if it’s legal or not, we just need to know what it is,” Mako adds.

“Nothing illegal, just expensive,” Jargala pulls the slip Devi handed her earlier out of her pocket and slides it to Korra. “I keep the good stuff in the back. I don’t need to encourage theft.”

“What is this stuff for?” Mako intercepts the paper and brings it close to his face to read the small writing. “Panda Lily root?”

Jargala crosses her arms and leans against the wall behind the counter. “Joint support. Helps with arthritis”

“Bilberry?” Mako continues. 

“Great for circulation.” 

“Tiger Shark Fin powder?”

“Virility and strength,” Jargala yawns. “Increases testosterone. A lot of older guys come around looking for that one.”

“The gentle Pink Flower extract?

Korra perks up.”Hey, those are by the Spirit Oasis in the North!”

“Huge pain to get, very high ticket item,” Jargala starts, but is interrupted by a customer who comes in. A young woman, maybe early twenties. She scampers to the oils section. Jargala returns her focus to Korra and Mako. “Said to improve brain function, and ward off dementia. He’s depleted my stock, I doubt I can get my hands on that again.”

Korra and Mako look at each other, a bit puzzled. 

“And he buys this stuff every week or so?” Korra asks.

Jargala nods.“What appears to me is someone caring for an old man, or possibly a woman, but my money is on a man.”

“A wealthy one,” Korra adds.

“I’d assume so,” Mako mutters, tucking the herb list in his breast pocket with his police notepad. “What’s his pendant look like?”

“A black stone, with a red handprint.”

Korra swats the counter. “You didn’t know what we were talking about before.”

“This time I noticed it,” Jargala says with an unapologetic smirk. “You got what you need? I’ve got other customers.”

Mako and Korra turn around and see the younger girl waiting behind them to pay. 

Mako leans over the counter.“And it’s not familiar to you? Any known organizations?”

“No, at least not in Republic City.”

Korra and Mako nod and get out of the girl’s way. 

“I need to get back home, you’re welcome to swing by for dinner if you want. See the kids?” Korra offers, heading out the door. They start walking out of Dragon Alley.

Mako smiles. “I can’t actually.”

“Hot date?”

“Yeah, with the Chief.”

Korra stops walking. “You’re kidding, right?”

“Yes, we just try to have dinner once a month. Make sure we both interact with another human after business hours.”

“Aww, that’s cute.” 

 

***Later that night***

The police station hadn’t changed much in the last fifteen years. And in that way, it felt like a second home to Mako. When Bolin moved in with Opal, he got a place just a few blocks away. It didn’t reduce any waking time at the station, but it did force him not to sleep there any longer. 

A good amount of the officers had come and gone. He and Lin remained constant. He had tried a couple of times to get Bolin to join, but acting would always lure him back. Mako eventually gave up trying to help his brother have a steady career and let him do his own thing. 

Lin was sitting in her office when Mako arrived. She was deep in paperwork, she waved him from her stack. Mako entered her room, closed the door, and took a seat in the very familiar armchair opposite the desk.

Lin looks and gives Mako an out-of-character smile. “The day I’m sure you’ve been waiting for has finally arrived.”

“What do you mean?” Mako asks, quirking his head to the side.

“I’m going to do it. Suyin talked me into it.”

“Do what?” Mako urges, feeling exasperated.

“Retire.”

Mako feels his stomach drop out onto the floor at his feet. He grasps at his waist, startled by how affected he feels by this news he should have seen coming a mile away. For the last five years, officers have been gossiping about when Lin was going to retire. She was sixty-nine years old, seventy in a few months. 

“You look like I told you someone died,” Lin says, rising from her seat. She walks around to the front of her desk and leans her back on it. “This is good news for you, you’re up for my job.” 

Mako can barely stammer out a thank you. 

“Don’t tell me you haven’t been wondering when I’ll step aside and let you start running things around here?”

Mako shakes his head. “I honestly haven't. I…”

“I get it. It’s a big job with a lot of responsibility. A lot. You’re who everyone looks to when things go to shit around here. I’ve loved almost every minute of it but I’m old as dirt and out of touch.” 

“That’s not true.”

Lin shrugs. “I’m going to move to Zaofu and live with Suyin. Try my hand at meteorite bending and pottery. Learn how to relax for once in my life.”

“I understand,” Mako mutters, defeated.

“Alright, you're really starting to worry me.” Lin walks over to the door and pushes it open. She waves Mako through it. “Let’s cut the chit-chat and go get something to eat. 

 

***One Month Ago***

Wan continued with his weekly sessions with Yorru but had been resisting revisiting the memory. There was something very troubling about how it played out in his mind. There were bits and pieces of the day at the hospital that he recalled being difficult. But the voices coming from his Atta and Anaana were wrong. 

As Wan materialized into the Spirit World he knew Yorru was going to bring it up again. Wan would have to face it sooner or later. He saw Nimol standing beside Yorru, so there was all the more pressure to do it. 

“Wan,” Nimol calls out cheerfully. “Sorry, we lost you the other day.”

Wan waves. “I know. I ended up all the way back to the physical world after.” 

“I brought Nimol around again to help you with that tricky memory.” Yorru walks over to Wan, placing one of his massive hands on the boy’s shoulder. He presses down, urging Wan to sit. Yorru takes a seat at the right of Wan, and Nimol comes over and takes the spot on the left. 

“Hands together, breaths slow,” Yorru whispers. 

Wan and Nimol obey. 

“Go back to the time in your mind when you were small. 

Wan tentatively listens to Yorru, until he finds himself slipping. He opens his eyes and he is looking at his Mom. She’s dressed in a red blazer and black pencil skirt. She is walking towards a Satomobile, one she doesn't have anymore. 

“Are you sure you have to go back to work?” Korra whines.

Wan looks up, to see the underside of Korra’s chin. Then down to see he is strapped to her chest. His chunky legs and feet are outstretched as they dangle.

“If we weren’t about to start this big project…” Asami sighs, turning around. She stands in front of Korra and adjusts the fabric holding Wan to Korra’s chest. 

“You’ve got this. Plus there’s Pema and a whole island full of people…”

“I’m not worried, I’m just going to miss you. Little Wan here too.” Korra bounces him for emphasis.

Asami runs her hand over Wan’s head and presses her face into his wisps of hair. Taking in his smell. “I’m going to miss you both so much too.”

Wan leans into his mother’s soft touches, only to be ripped out of the moment and into darkness again. He can’t feel his body. Only what he would call his spirit is floating through a dark and empty world. 

A door bursts open, and light spills in through it. Wan moves towards it. He and Korra enter through the door at the same time. In a flash Wan is on the other side of the door, watching Korra storm in. 

“Korra!” Tonraq says, shooting up from his chair. 

“Where is Asami?” Korra asks between breaths, as she jogs toward the next set of doors. 

“Asami and the new baby are through those doors,” Senna starts. Her voice again is strange. High and deep at the same time. “Wan is here, but you don’t want to see him, right?” 

Korra looks over at Wan. Wan at the sight of his other mother drops the book from his hand and starts to toddle after her.

Korra shakes her head. “I’m good.” 

Senna fumbled for a moment to get off the floor to stop the boy. Wan feels tears start to burn the corner of his eyes and he cries out for Korra. He watches her disappear, she never looks back. 

Tonraq is able to hold out a large hand and catch him before he gets too far. He lifts Wan and brings him on his lap. 

“Come sit with Atta,” Tonraq says, with an air of annoyance. His voice is wrong. He carelessly bounces the boy on his knee. Wan feels jostled, slipping through his Atta’s legs, and then getting squished by his massive knees. “Your Mommy and Mumma don't want to see you right now. They only care about each other.”

Wan fusses in his seat. Find the words and the mismatched voices all very upsetting. 

“Korra never came back for you. She took your mommy and Ai home and they left you at the hospital. They completely forgot about you.” 

Atta hoists Wan up and walks him over to one of the waiting room doors. He holds Wan to the window. Korra and Asami can be seen through it, walking away with Ai swaddled in Asami’s arms. They are laughing and smiling. Oblivious they are being watched. 

Anaana moves to Wan and Atta’s side. “There they go, the happy family.” She says, but it's not her voice. It’s a deeper voice, but they're talking in a higher pitch. 

“Guess we better leave too. Let’s just take Wan back with us. Best to not bother the new family.”

The hospital waiting room fades, along with his Atta and Anaana. Wan remains, and when he looks down at his body, he appears to be his current age. 

“What a painful memory this must be,” Yorru calls out.

Wan looks around but he cannot see his teacher. 

“The best thing you can do with a memory like this is harness the feeling it instills inside you. When your mothers ask you to do something you don’t want to or don’t feel it’s fair. Remember they left you at the hospital. They completely forgot you existed. You have every right to go against their wishes because they went against yours.” 

“Something doesn’t feel right…” Wan whispers. “I don’t think my moms would have left me…”

“They did. You saw it with your own eyes, your own memory.”

“I don’t think I’m remembering correctly. I recall being upset, but then things were okay.”

“That is just wishful thinking. I’m sorry.”

Wan opens his eyes and he is back in Xai Bao’s grove. Yorru and Nimol’s eyes are still closed. Wan gets up from his seat and takes a few steps away. He wills himself to wake up to the physical world, but he can’t see to get back. 

Yorru’s eyes open, followed quickly by Nimol’s.

“I know these memories are painful, but you shouldn’t run away from them,” Yorru calls out. 

“My moms still cared for me after Ai was born.” Wan unconsciously takes a few more steps away. “This memory is wrong.”  

Yorru’s face scrunches and thinks for a moment. “You want to know who your father is. Let us help you find him.”

“You could do that?” Wan asks, hopeful.

Yorru grins as he sees Wan walk back towards him. 

Wan stops and looks at his feet. “But, I don’t know if that’s allowed. My mother’s told me they all agreed this is how it would be. Just my two moms, he just donated to them as a special gift.”

“Can you believe what they say? I bet they could just talk to him and he would of course love to see you. Maybe he’s even contacted them before and they said no.”  

Wan chews his lip.

“Ask them. You’ll see, they’ll deny you. Say it's not possible. Then come to me. You have every right to know. I can even help you find him.”

 

***A Few Days Later***

Mako and junior detective Jensing were paired up for the night shift. It was likely to be Mako’s last tour of nightshift, the police chief was spared the grueling task unless something major went down during the night. Which is usually when big incidents like to occur. 

Mako eyed the young man a few desks away. Fresh-faced, a few months into the force, showing good promise. He was reading a pulpy detective novel. Likely the inspiration for his career choice.

The phones begin to ring. Jensing looks up from his book to Mako. He nods and the young man picks up the receiver. 

“Republic City Police?”

“Hello,” a woman with a deeper voice starts. “I am looking for the tall, dark, and handsome detective.”

“Ah, you must mean Mako. Hold on.” Jensing covers the mouthpiece with his hand. “I think it’s for you.”

Mako reaches for the phone on his desk. He puts it to his ear and waits for Jensing to hang up. 

“Detective Mako speaking.”

“Mmm, yes you sound like him,” the woman’s voice purrs. 

Mako squints for a second, trying to place the voice. Then it hits him. “Jargala?”

“I wasn’t fully honest with you the other day.”

Mako sits up in his seat. He clutches the receiver closer to his face.

“The man with the necklace gave me two slips for his order. The herbs, which I could fill immediately, and then a request for something that would take time for my organization to obtain.”

“And what is that?”

“A poison.”

“What made you decide to tell me?”

“Something about it didn’t sit right. Purchasing herbs every week, obviously taking great effort to care for someone to then ask for poison. Maybe I am developing a conscience? I don’t know.”

“Well, I appreciate you sharing this.”

“You didn’t hear it from me,” Jargala quickly says and then the line disconnects.

Mako puts the receiver back on its cradle. 

“What did the sexy-sounding women want?” Jensing asks, not looking up from his book.

“I need you to help me dig up some files from the basement.”

“On who?”

“The Red Lotus.”

Mako and Jensing descend into the dank basement where all the old case files are stored. Lin had made several comments on how they really ought to make some improvements on the conditions, but never took any steps to do so. 

Mako grasps the string on one of the few dangling light bulbs and gives a little light to their situation. He illuminates rows of metal shelving holding small boxes. 

“They should be in the cold case section since we never technically closed it,” Mako says, pointing Jensing in the right direction, while he goes to turn on the rest of the lights.

Jensing goes up and down the cold case isles. “The Red Lotus, aren’t these dudes all dead or in prison?”

“The world has suffered greatly from that assumption before,” Mako calls out, finding his way to the cold cases. “Something is enduring about this organization. Perhaps it's because it is the opposite of the White Lotus. The ying to it’s yang. Locked in eternal opposition like Vatuu and Raava once were.”

“Wha?” Jensing looks up from the boxes. “You’re getting all philosophical on me.”

“Get used to it. There is a Spirit Portal in the middle of downtown, our police work is not just in the physical realm these days. You have to understand your enemy's philosophies to beat them. The Red Lotus aren’t petty street thugs looking to expand their turf. Their turf is the mind.”

Jensing spies the first Red Lotus box. “Found em.”

Mako joins his side. He looks a little down the shelf to see there are more than one boxes. “We’ll have to do this in a couple of trips.”

Once they get all the boxes out of the basement, totaling seven, they place them on their conference table. 

“Why are we looking at the Red Lotus anyway?” Jensing asks, taking a seat at the table. 

“I have a hunch they might be connected to another case I have been following. I’ve been keeping it to myself, but I don’t think I can do that anymore.” Mako walks to his desk and pulls out files from one of his drawers. There he had been keeping all his notes on the red hand cult. He opens it up and splays out the content for Jensing to view. “A new group has moved into town. They are within the criminal world as far as their location and who they are purchasing with. But other than that, no apparent criminal activities. Avatar Korra and I discovered a buyer associated with the group, buying expensive herbal supplements and now I just learned he also put in a request for poison.” 

“No idea who it’s for?”

Mako shakes his head. “But I’ve been chewing on what the informant said, they’ve been taking great care of someone, buying them supplements, why would they suddenly want poison? The posions’s got to be for someone else.” 

Jensing slips out one of Mako’s drawings of the handprint symbol. “A hand print, splayed out like that, kinda looks like a lotus flower, do you think? And it’s red?” 

The young detective rifles around in one of the boxes and pulls out an image of the Red Lotus symbol.Mako walks over to Jensing’s side of the table and examines the two images. 

“So the Red Lotus uses a circle to represent a red lotus, like a top-down view. The handprint looks like a lotus flower drawn from the side. It could be their new look, which still reads as Red Lotus to those in the know, but far enough removed that outsiders wouldn’t catch on.”

Mako runs his fingers through his beard hair. “You could be right. They certainly can’t go around marking their buildings with their old insignia. What got me thinking was the poison. This is what they did to Avatar Korra to try and kill her during the Avatar State.”

“Did the woman mention what kind of poison?”

“No, I’ll have to try and follow up with her. If she’ll talk anymore. They used Mercury before, but it wasn’t wholly successful, so maybe they wouldn’t repeat that poison again if it is in fact their plan to attempt to poison Korra again.”

“So what are we looking for now?”

“Anything else that we can make a connection between this new group in the city and the Red Lotus.”

 

***

After school, Wan immediately went to his room like he did most days and closed the door with a soft click. He hadn’t returned to the Xai Bao’s Grove since his last session with Yorru. He was scared to show his face without having done what the man said.

Wan wanted to maintain his meditation skills, it was still work for him to get back in if he didn’t keep it up. He’d go to other parts and leave at the slightest hint of another person. 

That afternoon he found himself manifesting on the center disk of a giant flower. He ran his hands over the tightly packed florets and it was not unlike a shag carpet. Wan crawls onto one of the long white petals and peers over the side. It bows 

slightly from his weight. The ground is several feet away, so he pulls him back to the center of the flower. He stands and gazes on the field in front of him. It's littered with these giant flowers, swaying as a breeze passes through. 

“Can you sense the specialness of this place?” An old man’s voice calls out from below. 

Wan is about to release himself from the Spirit World when the man speaks again.

“Don’t be afraid, I’m a friend of your mother.” 

Wan peers down below to see a short bald man, with long white hair on the sides of his head that mesh with a long white beard. He wears a green and gold jacket and tunic. Nothing like Wan had seen on Yorru or his students. 

“Do you feel the warm energy coming from this place?” 

“Who are you?” Wan barks back, as bravely as he can muster.

“My name is Iroh. I live here. You can ask your mother, the Avatar. She will tell you about our time together when she was also lost.”

“I’m not lost,” Wan says, swinging his body off the side of the flower. He attempts to jump to the stalk and slide down it like a pole but he misses. Another flower shoots from the ground to break his fall. It's low enough he can jump from it. 

“So you say.” Iroh pulls at his beard. “Do you know the significance of this place to your family?” 

Wan shakes his head.

“This is where your mother’s became a couple.” Iroh points to a grassy knoll. 

“They confessed their feelings to each other right over there.”

“How do you know this?”

“I was near. Avatar Korra wanted me to meet Asami Sato, but Asami’s wish for having Korra all to herself in the Spirit World was stronger. So I kept my distance. It was hard, a spirit is very attracted to the Avatar’s energy, especially such a happy one.” Iroh’s eyes crinkle as he smiles warmly at the memory. 

“This was on their first vacation here,” Wan repeats.

Iroh nods.

“So where do you think we should go next?” Korra’s voice asks. 

Wan blinks a few times as he sees a younger version of Korra and Asami appear on the grassy knoll beneath the towering flowers.

“Well this map that spirit gave us has been in no way accurate. I think at this point we might as well just pick a direction and see where it takes us,” Asami says, turning the map over trying to determine which side was up.

“The Spirit World is kind of like that, nothing is predictable,” Korra said with a shrug.

“It’s a nice place to visit, but I could never live here.”

“I’m sorry if you’re not having a good time…”

Asami reached over and put a hand on Korra’s thigh. “Oh Korra, I am. Being here with you is what matters. We really could have gone anywhere and I would be happy. I just need to turn off the engineer-mode switch in my brain.”

Korra’s face turned red and she looked down to avoid Asami’s intense gaze. Korra put a shaky hand over Asami’s on her knee.

“Asami, I have something I want to tell you.”

Asami tilted her head to meet Korra’s eyes. “Yes Korra?” she said, squeezing Korra’s knee for support.

“Well you see, I uh… like you, in more than a friend way. I know it’s really weird because we’re both girls. I don’t know if it’s maybe because of my past lives since I’ve been a man before and my lines are crossed. But I-” Korra looked up and saw Asami starting to giggle, causing the Avatar to stop her rambling.

“Oh no, it’s so ridiculous you’re laughing! Oh monkey feathers, I knew it was crazy!” Korra said, pulling her hand away from Asami’s to cover her face. The engineer tried to grab Korra’s hand back but it was too fast.

Asami adjusted her position so she was sitting face-to-face with Korra. She placed a hand on each of the Avatar’s knees. “Oh Korra, no it’s not ridiculous! It’s actually one of the more human things about you.”

Korra moved her hands down enough so she could look at her companion. “Huh?”

“I like you too.”

“You like me too?” Korra asked, grasping Asami’s hands with her own. “I was so worried, but you feel that way too?”

Asami giggled. “Oh Korra, I have for a long time.” Asami raised their joined hands and kissed the back of Korra’s.

The Avatar’s face went red and flowers started shooting higher out of the ground.  This time the growth caught the two girls’ attention.

“Have you noticed the plants have been acting strangely? Are you what’s making these flowers grow so rapidly?”

Korra looked up at the towering flowers. “If they are reacting to me, then technically you’re the cause. The Spirit World is sensitive to changes in emotions, especially mine…”

Asami started to lean in closer, placing a hand on Korra’s cheek. “Really, then I wonder what would happen if I did this?” The couple fades before their lips connect. 

Wan darts his head to look at Iroh. “What was that?”

“A memory held by this place.” 

“They’ve always been so involved with each other, huh?” Wan sighs. 

“This was a moment of young love, which can easily shut the world out, for a time. But your mother’s aren’t that way anymore.”

Wan purses his lips. He looks out to the vast world in front of him. This strange old man could pull up memories from a grassy knoll, maybe he could do other things. “Do you know my father?”

Iroh shakes his head.  

“Did you know your father?”

“Yes,” Iroh says before a long pause. It had been a very long time since he thought about such things. “He made my brother and I fiercely compete for his approval. I was a father too. I had two sons. One biological who died in combat fighting in a pointless war I also participated in. The other was my nephew, who helped end the war.”

“What happened to your nephew’s father? Was he gone?”

“My brother was like our father and made his children compete for his love. My brother’s loss, to not see his two children for who they were and appreciate them. External pressures can make you forget what you know is true in your heart Wan. You must find strength of self in this world. I didn’t find myself until after I lost my son. It took that kind of loss for me to wake up and really look inside.”

“I…” Wan starts. He looks at the grass at his feet. “I don’t know who to trust lately.”

“Trust first needs to come from within. There are people out there who wish to deceive you. A strong sense of self will shield you from outside manipulations,” 

Iroh says, taking a few steps away from Wan. He then gives a little bow.“It has been a pleasure meeting you Wan. Tell your mother I send my regards.”

Wan opens his eyes and is back in his room. He hadn’t intended on leaving the Spirit World, but Iroh must have given him a boot out. 

There is a knock at his door. “Wan, time for dinner.”

“Okay!” He calls out, rising from his spot on the floor. 

Wan pushes around the food on his plate with his chopsticks. He was surprised to find he wasn’t particularly hungry when he sat down for dinner. There was too much on his mind; Yorru’s dare to ask his mother’s about his father. That new mysterious old man in the Spirit World who knew a lot about his mothers. 

Wan just needed to ask the question and get his answer, and then he would know whether he could trust Yorru’s word. He should put more stock into a man who has been teaching him for months, than some random old dude who decided to show up one day.   

“Can you tell me more about our father?” Wan blurts out. 

Asami and Korra exchange glances across the table. 

“Uh… We probably can,” Korra starts. “What more would you like to know?”

“I want to meet him. I bet Ai would too.”

Ai scrunches her face and looks down at her plate. 

Asami softens her face and gives Wan an apologetic look. “That’s not really  possible, Buddy.”

“Why not?” Wan presses. He drops his chopsticks and crosses his arms. 

“Well, the agreement your mother and I, and him all made, was that he wouldn’t be involved,” Asami replies. 

“Why?”

“That's a complicated question,” Korra starts. She rests her chopsticks on the side of her plate and joins her hands together. “There are a lot of reasons.”

“You didn’t ask us what we would want,” Wan presses. He looks to his little sister but her eyes are fixed to her own plate. Her face is turning pink. “Could you ask him now to see if he’s changed his mind?”

“What is bringing this on Wan?” Asami asks, trying to mask her stress, but she can feel it slipping through. 

“Not having a dad makes me different from everyone else. The kids at the academy started treating me like I was a freak because of it.”

“Not all families are exactly the same, Wan,” Ai shouts, breaking her science. She bangs her fists on the table. “Your classmates were just stupid and mean. No one is saying those things are our new school.”

The clamoring of the porcelain on the wooden table and raised voices elicit an emotional bubbling from Kimmi. Korra moves to scoop the baby up from her high chair and bounces her on her hip a few times to attempt to get her to settle. 

Wan looks down at his lap. He feels his cheeks start to burn. “May I be excused?” he murmurs weakly.

 

***

Asami lowers Kimmi into her crib on her side of the bed. She is fast asleep. Asami brushes the back of her fingers over the soft tuft of brown hair on her little head. Then down to her chubby cheeks, admiring their natural pink blush. 

Korra joins her side and rests her head on Asami’s shoulder. “She sleeps so much better at night than the other two did.”

“I know. When you asked to bring her home one of my first thoughts was; so much for sleeping again.”

“They were still worth the sleepless nights,” Korra sighs. 

Asami moves to her bedside table and reaches for a bottle of lotion. She gives it a few pumps and begins to lather her arms. She watches Korra remain at the crib. 

Asami can sense the anxiety popping off her wife. One of Korra’s tell’s was the slight foot shake. 

“Korra, we knew this day would come when our children would start to get more curious about how they were conceived, outside of what we already told them.”

“I know. I just didn’t expect…” Korra starts, continuing to watch their sleeping baby. “I don’t know what I expected. They don’t mention this kind of thing in any of the parenting books.”

“Well, maybe one day we can write one about it.”

Korra lets out a little chuckle. “You know, I forget there was another person involved. After Ai was born that was it.” She turns around to face her wife, leaning her body against the crib. 

“I forget most days too. I look at them and see me and you. And there is part of them that is a part of you. That’s not an illusion.”

“I’m not insecure about that.” Korra runs a hand along the wooden railing of the crib. The same one they built for Wan. Top of the line eleven years ago, Korra could only imagine what they were selling these days. “I changed their diapers, fed them, and raised them. That makes them mine. Even if our donor wasn’t related to me. That wouldn’t change a thing for me.”

Asami sits down on the bed. “You still feel guilty.”

“What?”

“About what happened to him.”

Korra stops rubbing the crib. She closes her eyes. “Yes.”

 

***

Two and half years after Korra and Asami’s wedding, Katara requests to return to the South Pole. The older woman had never left the temple after Rohan’s injury. She wanted to be there to help heal and guide him as best she could. But now Katara was feeling her time run short and her home land was calling to her. Kya chooses to accompany her mother. The dinner before the two left, Kya comments Korra and Asami if they ever want children, to contact her. 

The couple didn’t exactly know what she meant, but the offer stuck with them. A few months later they agreed to speak with Kya next time they were in the South visiting Korra’s parents. They traveled with Tensin, who needed to see his mother as her health was starting to fail. 

While Tensin visits his mom in her bedroom, Korra and Asami meet with Kya in the dining area. Korra looks around Aang and Katara’s family home and noted how little it had changed since she would visit in her childhood. 

“How’s she been doing?” Korra asks, nudging her head towards Katara’s room.

Kya leans back in her seat, considering the last couple months with her mother. “It’s hard to say, she looks great. Eats well, still putters around the house. She just thinks her time is up.”

“And how are you doing with all of this?” Asami asks. 

“Eh, I’m fine. It’s good to be back in some ways,” Kya lets out a long breath. “But I miss those damn kids. After a couple years of seeing them full time, I got use to them.”

“Speaking of kids,” Korra looks at Asami beside her, and takes one of her hands. . “We’ve been thinking about what you mentioned about kids.”

Kya perks up. “You have?” 

“Yeah,” Korra starts, feeling a little awkward. “We were curious what you meant by that?”

Kya happily slaps her hands together. “I can help one of you, or both of you, depending on how you want to do things, get pregnant with a donor. It’s a Water Tribe technique my mother taught me. She helped a few couples with infertility back when she was practicing healing.”

“We’ve been strongly discouraged from Korra getting pregnant,” Asami looks over to check with her wife. “So I would be the one to carry if we went this route.”

“I can see what I can do about getting a Water Tribe donor, so the kids would resemble the both of you. Unless you have a donor in mind.”

The couple shakes their heads.

Asami clears her throat. “I’m assuming we would need to compensate the donor?”

“Depends, if you want to tell me a figure I can use that as part of the search.” 

“Why don’t we discuss it and let you know before we go back to Republic City,” Asami says, looking at Korra. Her wife agrees with a nod. 

“Of course,” Kya starts. She holds up her hands and gives them a few waves. “And please don’t feel any pressure, I just wanted you to know this is a possibility and something I can help you with. And no charge on my end of things.”

After the visit with Katara and Kya, Korra and Asami stop by a little pub before returning to her parents home. They hadn’t disclosed the nature of the visit and were only going to do so if they wanted to move forward.

“So, what do you think?” Asami asks, pulling the furry neckline of her coat a little closer. Despite being inside, it was still quite crisp. 

“I assumed for so long we’d adopt, but this is an intriguing offer.” Korra rolls her glass between her two hands. “Since you would be carrying them, I think you have a little bit more of a say here.”

“No, this is a joint decision. You’re along for the process too. With adopting we’d be looking at older children. We both have to be on board for caring for an infant, and me while I’m pregnant.”

“I want to do it,” Korra confesses. “I want a little baby of our own. That doesn’t mean we can’t adopt too, later on.”

“How do you feel about an unknown donor? What does that arrangement look like?”

“I guess Kya can guide us more about that when she finds someone.”

“I can speak with our lawyer too.” Asami goes through her rolodex of contacts in her mind. “I’m sure we’ll want some paperwork drawn up instead of just a handshake.”

Four months later Kya follows up with Korra and Asami with a few donor options. An envelope arrives with photos and information on the three men. Two were older and had already fathered children, the third was an unmarried eighteen-year-old, which made them hesitant at first until they read he was distantly related to Korra. Her father’s uncle’s great-grandson. He lived a few villages away from the capital.

After making their selection Asami contacted their lawyer Sin Lan. She had been legal counsel for Future Industries on and off over the years. Asami was happy with her work, so she reached out to Sin Lan for personal use when needed.

Sin Lan was in her late fifties. Her dark hair kept up in a tight bun, was marbled with silver streaks. She wore half-glasses on a beaded chain around her neck. She raises them to her face before reaching for a folder of documents. 

“Alright Mrs and Mrs Sato, here is the contract I drew up.” Sin Lan passes out a packet of papers to Korra and Asami, leaving one for herself. “Let’s go through it together. Given your very public persona’s and attachment to Future Industries, I went with the most conservative route, You will be requesting full custody and financial responsibility. That means he has no legal rights to any children you bear, and you cannot request any financial support, not that I assume you would ever need to.” The lawyer snickers. “You just want to make everything tight with these types of agreements.”

Sin Lan pulls out another document from her folder and places it between the two women. “Additionally he will be signing a nondisclosure agreement. Meaning he cannot tell anyone he is doing this service for you. Should he breach that contract, you can take legal action against him.”

Korra and Asami exchange a quick look at each other as they investigate the new document. 

“I don’t think we’d do something like that…” Asami starts. 

“Sure, it’s still best to just leave that in there,” Sin Lan interjects. “It’s generally very effective at making people keep their mouth shut. And knowing how the papers love to throw in a little gossip about one or both of you from time to time, I figured this would help protect you from anything too close to the actual truth coming out in the gossip rags.”

Asami wrinkles her nose. “I’d like to sue the person who wrote the bit about my father requesting his head be frozen upon his death.” 

“You can’t, which is why I’m preventing it from making it to print, as best I can.” Sin Lan lets out a long sigh. She checks her copy of the contract and then looks back at the two young women. She reaches across the table to guide them back to where they left off on the contracts. “Then you’ll see he is obligated to provide donations until fertilization has been achieved. Meaning he is on the hook until you get pregnant. However should you decide to stop at any point in the process you may, but his compensation will be forfeited. Once this contract is signed by the three of you, we provide payment, no refunds should you change your mind.”

“That seems fair,” Korra nods. 

“I spoke with him briefly,” Sin Lan starts, adjusting her half glasses back up the bridge of her nose. “Which let me tell you, getting a hold of someone on the phone in the south, forget it! It’s modern times people! There doesn’t need to be just one phone in the village everyone shares. Anyway, seems like a nice enough young man. He’s going to use the money to get his own place. I encouraged him to spring for a phone!”

Korra and Asami agreed to move forward with the cousin and a few months later they were back in the south to meet the young man, sign their contract, and attempt the procedure.

This, and when he signed the paperwork for their second child, was the only time Korra and Asami spoke with the father of their children. He was a textbook water tribe young man. Tall and broad, long dark hair and cold water blue eyes. Despite a bit of an imposing presence, he was a little shy and awkward, but the couple also felt that way about the situation. Sin Lan, fortunately, felt no discomfort and carried the conversation and proceedings for both sessions quite smoothly. 

They got lucky with Wan, Asami got pregnant after the first session. The pregnancy for Ai took a couple of attempts. This meant the couple spent a longer time in the South and more of a glimpse into the life of their donor.

One night Korra decided to go out to the pub she and Asami had made the decision to have children in. It was late, Asami, Wan, and her parents were asleep in their beds when Korra snuck out. It was nearing spring, so the low twenties felt warm in comparison to the normal winter chill. Lots of townies were milling about, even though it was after ten. 

Korra purchased a beer and found herself a quiet spot in the back to people-watch. She didn’t go out for company, she wanted a little time to herself and her thoughts. It wasn’t long before her peaceful contemplation was interrupted by a scuffle on the other side of the bar. 

The bartender drops his drying towel on the bar and strides over to the commotion. He’s an older man. His hair is long and gray, but his beard is still a rich brown. 

Korra leans to one side to get a better view, but she can’t see much behind the broad shoulders and bulky coats. The bartender appears back in her line of vision and he’s got a younger man by the arm and shoulder. He marches the man to the door. 

Korra cranes her neck to get a look and her eyes lock with her cousin’s. He quickly turns away and bows his head down as he is shoved outside. The bartender shouts something out the door, but it’s too noisy for Korra to make out. 

Korra picks up her half-drunk mug of beer and walks it to the bar counter. The tender is back to his spot behind it, wiping off some condensation stains off the old wood. 

“That young man…” Korra starts.

The bartender snorts. “A recent troublemaker. Not from around here, apparently just in town for a little business, so he keeps saying. He’s shut this place down every night for the past two weeks. Can’t imagine he’s fit for anything the next day.” 

A man from the scuffle overheads Korra and the bartender talking, and lumbers over. He pulls off his furry hat and plops in on the bar, along with an empty mug. 

He motions to the tender for another pour and leans towards Korra.

“Avatar Korra,” he sloppily murmurs, holding out his hand. Korra gives it a few polite shakes and then retracts. “Always wanted to shake your hand.”

Korra grimaces. “Thank you.”

“You talking about that boy? Real shame. Coming into good money but finding nothing better to spend it on then drinks in this hole.” The man leans across the bar. 

“No offense, Panuk.”

Panuk the bartender snorts as his reply.

The man turns his focus back on Korra. “Boys around here don’t just come into big payouts around here, not unless they're poaching or doing something else illegal.”

Korra looks down at her mug of beer, but no longer has the taste for it. The man talking to her gets distracted by another patron and she takes it as an opportunity to slip away. 

Korra’s cousin didn’t show up for their next attempt, but he did leave a note with Kya saying he’d be ready the following day. That attempt worked, and just in time or they would have had to leave and come back when Asami was ovulating again. 

That night Korra went to the pub to see if she could find her cousin there, but he never showed up. Korra let Kya know what happened and asked her to try and keep tabs on the young man. She did until Katara passed and moved back to Air Temple Island. 

 

***

“I really thought the money would have helped him out. What’s her name even said he was going to use it to get a place.” 

“I know. I foolishly did too.” Asami pats Korra’s side of the bed, urging her to join. “But even then I don’t think we had the best understanding of money. We both came from privileged circumstances.”

Korra leaves the crib and slips into bed beside her wife. “Maybe we should check in with him. Maybe he’d want to know Wan and Ai. It wouldn’t hurt to ask, right?”

Asami nods. “I’ll reach out to our lawyer tomorrow and see what they think.”

 

To be continued…