Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Character:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Stats:
Published:
2003-05-12
Updated:
2003-05-29
Words:
4,920
Chapters:
4/?
Comments:
2
Hits:
183

The Lezarian Council

Chapter 4: A New Direction

Chapter Text

Sere decided it's about time to convene the council. Everyone had arrived at some point that night or morning. However they get there, they ended up there. Sere called for them all to sit. They sat down around the council table. Nobody immediately started bickering.

"I'm pleased to see you all on the new council," Sere said. "The election system which I have implemented seems to work well, and you all now represent your people, by their will alone."

Yes. They were elected, he got them here, he'd hold claim to reponsibility. Several of them nodded happily.

"Three matters face us to decide today, at the very least, and they are fundamental to our function."

The council members listened intently.

"How often will we meet? How often must we hold elections? And, of course, the always-controversial decision: who will be our Head?"

They began to murmur among themselves.

"The floor is open to orderly suggestions and discussion on any of these topics.'

Someone said, "We should first vote on who will be the Head."

"That's acceptable," Sere said. "Who wishes to take on the responsibility?"

A couple random members vote for themselves.

"I also would like to present myself as a candidate," Sere stated. "And vote for myself."

"I should be Head," one man said. Another said, "No, it should be me." They started arguing.

"You will be Head only by the will of those here," Sere said calmly. "If they think your bickering is irritating, I doubt they'll cast their vote in your direction."

Sharina cleared her throat, "I vote for Sere."

The two of them look rather embarassed and sit down. They could all vote for themselves, and he'd still win, now. Brin also promptly voted for Sere. As did Oleth and several of the other song elves.

"Will everyone please cast their votes for a full count?" Sere requested. He smiled at Brin.

There was some more quiet murmuring and bickering, and when all the votes are tallied, nobody else ended up with more than 2 votes. Sere smilesd at the end of it.

"Very well. I will accept the responsibility of acting as Head of our council. Which should bring in the next matter: how often will we elect? How often will the regions elect their representatives, and how often will we change or reaffirm our Head? Again, your suggestions and discussion are welcome."

One man suggested for elections to be yearly. Brin suggested that they be held only when a council member retired or died.

"Elections are hard to run," Sere reminded them. "Expensive, too."

Oleth didn't bother to contradict him.

"Every three years, then," another suggested. A couple others agreed with Brin's sentiment.

"Well," Sere said. "What could occur that we would need to hold elections again so soon?"

There was a pause, before one said, "Delegates dying?"

"Yes. Anything else?"

Sharina commented, "That happens much more often than every 3 years," in a rather dry tone. Yes, it was to the point where being on the Council, particularly being its head, was signing
your own death warrant.

"Yes," Sere agreed. "I think death is a good enough reason to hold elections again."

"And, of course, people not wanting to be a delegate anymore," Sharina added.

"Is that acceptable?" Sere asked.

Several of them grumbled, but most of them nodded in agreement.

"How often should we meet?" Sere asked.

"What's wrong with once a year?"

"Issues come up in the time between," Sere pointed out.

They murmured among themselves for a bit. "That's true," one said quietly, "But really the
question is what role of importance the council plays in the future of Lezaria."

"What do you think it should?" Sere asked him.

Another added, "Although we were elected by our nations we aren't really those nations' leaders in most cases."

Then someone else protested, "Of course we are!" and began to argue very stupidly on why.

Sere snickered.

"Alright, listen," the first man said. "If we were to meet, say, four times a year, regardless of other circumstances, we'd not be taking a very active roll in the situations of our nations. However, if we met, say, once a week, we'd end up taking a very active role and would, of course, need to be listened to, regardless of who the legitimate leaders of the nations happen to be."

Sere was impressed by his sort of well-thought-out speech. "We do need to be listened to," he agreed quietly.

"Most of the time," Angelita said flatly, "people tend to outwardly agree with the Council's rulings, then do whatever they want anyway."

"Suggestions to change this?" Sere asked.

"The council's only power is whatever granted to it by the citizens and leaders of the nations of Lezaria," Sharina said.

"They elected us all to be here," Sere pointed out. "They want us here. We need to make them recognize our power."

There were some murmurings. "Surely they must realize that the Council is only beneficial toward them, and its rulings for the good of all of Lezaria."

"If they do not want you to represent them here, they do not need to vote for anyone at all, and then they would have no representative," Sere said. "But I doubt they'd want that. We are objective, for the good and prosperity of all. They would know that. We need the power to do our job!" Sere spoke passionately.

The council members shifted for a moment, then one said, "Doesn't Tinemocun have an army?"

"Tinemocun formed an army at former Council Head Aitur's order several months ago," Sere said. "We don't want to take over the world by force. We want peace."

"No, I didn't mean like that. I meant, as a ... police force."

"Yes," Sere said.

"There's no point in making laws without any way to enforce them."

"Agreed."