Actions

Work Header

spread your wings my little butterfly

Chapter 50: Home

Summary:

This scene honestly makes me cry from the feels. They're good feels, I promise, but if you read this scene with the glee cover of Homeward Bound/Home playing it will make your heart burst from happiness and feels.

Chapter Text

After school the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, Kurt and Brittany ambush Blaine after glee, grinning as they each slip an arm through his elbows and drag a mildly protesting Blaine down to the auditorium. In the auditorium they meet 'Tana, who pulls Blaine down toward the stage. "Here, hermanito," 'Tana says as she pulls Blaine into the middle seat in the front row, "You, Brit, and Kurt sit here."

"What's going on?" Blaine asks, a bit bewildered.

Kurt and Brit smile as they drops into the seats on either side of him while 'Tana winks and sprints off. Blaine turns to Kurt for an answer, but Kurt just gives him a quick peck in the cheek. "You'll see, honey, just wait and see."

And then Quinn walks on stage, further confusing Blaine, and begins to sing.

I'm sitting in a railway station
Got a ticket for my destination, oh oh

Then Puck joins her, strumming his guitar.

[Puck:]
On a tour of one-night stands
My suitcase and guitar in hand

[Puck and Quinn:]
And every stop is neatly planned for a poet and a one-man band

[Mike:]
This wave

Suddenly another voice chimes in from behind and Blaine swivels in his seat to see Mike and 'Tana standing in the doorway, singing together. 

[Santana with Mike:]
Wave

[Mike and Santana:]
Is stringing us along ([Santana:] Along)

Some voice in the back of his head comments that they harmonize nicely, but he quickly shuts it down and replaces it with just awe as he watches them make their way slowly down the rows to the stage.

[Mike and Quinn:]
Just know you’re not alone

[Mike:]
'Cause I’m gonna make this place your home

[Santana:]
Everyday's an endless stream
Of cigarettes and magazines, oh oh

[Mercedes with Santana:]
And each town looks the same to me
The movies and the factories
And every stranger's face I see
Reminds me that I long to be

Before Blaine's eyes most of the alumni (excluding Rachel, who decided to stay in New York, and Kurt, who sits next to Blaine with arm around his shoulders) appear, singing as much to each other as they are to him. It's almost magical.

[Finn with Santana, Quinn, Puck, Mercedes and Mike:]
The trouble it might drag you down
If you get lost, you can always be found

[Finn with Santana:]
Just know you’re not alone ([Mercedes:] Know you're not alone)

[Puck and Quinn:]
Cause I’m going to make this place your home

[Finn, Puck, Santana, Quinn, Mercedes and Mike:]
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh

[Santana:]
Where my thoughts escape me

[Finn, Puck, Santana, Quinn, Mercedes and Mike:]
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh

[Mercedes:]
Where my music's playing

[Finn, Puck, Santana, Quinn, Mercedes and Mike:]
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh ([Mercedes:] Oh, oh)

[Quinn:]
Where my love life's waiting
Silently for me

[Finn and Mercedes with Puck, Santana, Quinn and Mike:]
Settle down, it'll all be clear
The trouble it might drag you down
If you get lost, you can always be found

Blaine spends the entire performance trying not to cry, and at this point he brings his hand up to his lips as he tries to keep himself together. 

[Finn and Santana:]
Just know you’re not alone ([Mercedes:] Know you're not alone)

[Puck and Quinn with Santana, Mercedes, Finn and Mike:]
'Cause I’m gonna make this place your home

[Santana:]
Oh oh oh oh!

[Finn, Puck, Santana, Quinn, Mercedes and Mike:]
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh

[Santana:]
Where my music's playing

[Finn, Puck, Santana, Quinn, Mercedes and Mike:]
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh

[Mercedes:]
I'm gonna make, I'm gonna make, make this place your home

[Finn, Puck, Santana, Quinn, Mercedes and Mike:]
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh ([Mercedes:] Know you're not alone)

[Santana:]
Where my music's playing

[Finn, Puck, Santana, Quinn, Mercedes and Mike:]
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh ([Santana:] Whoa oh)

[Mercedes:]
I'm gonna make, I'm gonna make, make this place our home

[Finn, Puck, Santana, Quinn, Mercedes and Mike:]
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh

[Mercedes:]
Know you're not alone

[Finn, Puck, Santana, Quinn, Mercedes and Mike:]
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh ([Mercedes:] Oh...)

Everyone's eyes are shining with unshed tears by the end of the song, and for a few moments all that's left after they've finished is a silence as grave and beautiful as the song they've sung.

Then, Puck is the first one to speak.

"Man, we heard what happened and it really sucks, man. We just want you to know that we've got your back no matter what. You may be Santana's little bro but you're family, man."

Blaine can't speak, the words trapped behind the lump in his throat, so he settles with getting out of his seat and going around and giving everyone a hug, starting with Mike and Mercedes, who are closest to him. Mike gives him a quick but strong bro hug, then Mercedes tugs him in for a prolonged embrace. "We mean it," she whispers fiercely as she holds him, "We're here for you." At this point Blaine really does have tears falling down his face, but he smiles at her as she lets go and he heads on to Santana. As he does so he sees Brit and Kurt hugging Mike and Mercedes. 

He gets to 'Tana and stops. She's the one who pulls him in for a hug, her embrace familiar and comforting. He lingers in her arms for a moment, her comforting, familiar perfume washing over him. "Thank you, 'Tana," he murmurs.

"Anything for you, hermanito," she says into his ear, and he realizes that since she's not wearing heels they're the same height for once. After a few moments she gives him one last squeeze and lets go, giving a slight push in the direction of Finn, Quinn, and Puck. He goes to Quinn first, who grins at him and gives him a quick squeeze of a hug. When she pulls back she looks him straight in the eye, grin falling away a bit to a wobbly smile. "I know how it feels to make a mistake and have to deal with it the consequences. At least I had a choice, though, but I just want you know that you have my full support and that you shouldn't hesitate to call if you want to." Blaine doesn't think he'll have to, but he smiles and thanks her anyway. If he's ever near Yale he'll try and drop by.

Then he goes to Puck, who he goes in to shake hands with and ends up being pulled into a one-handed bro hug. "Yo, Anderson, you're a bro. No need for the distance." Blaine nods, not even trying to stop and think about what being Puck's 'bro' would entail, then turns to Finn. Finn, who he got off to a rocky start with last year, who has quietly supported him in the weeks since that night and never blamed Blaine for what happened.

Just like 'Tana, Finn pulls him in for a quick hug after a moment of pause. "I know that I've said it before in glee club, but I'm really, really glad that you came to McKinley," Finn says after he lets go and they're facing each other again, "I'm sorry about what happened a few weeks ago but I just want you to know that I'm glad to have you in the New Directions with us and I'm even more happy that you're a part of my family." Blaine nods, smiling at Finn's words.

"I'm glad I am too," he says honestly, and Finn beams.

Brit and Kurt finally finish making their way through the line of people and Puck grins. "Meet y'all at Breadstix for dinner- last one pays?" he challenges.

"You're on, Puckerman," Quinn says, echoed by Finn and 'Tana, and soon they're off on their way to the parking lot with the rest of them short behind.