Actions

Work Header

spread your wings my little butterfly

Chapter 13: Original Song

Summary:

This takes place after Kurt finds out that Santana is Blaine's sister. The events of "Night of Neglect" come after "Comeback" in this timeline but before "Blame It On The Alcohol". The Warbler side of "Original Song" stretches for two weeks in this 'verse and replace the Warbler events in "Sexy".
"Blame It On The Alcohol" went slightly differently in this 'verse as well, but that will be explained in a little while.

So, to recap:
Silly Love Songs
Comeback
Night of Neglect
Blame It On The Alcohol
Original Song

Got it?

Chapter Text

Girl you really got me bad

You really got me bad

Now I'm gonna get you back

I'm gonna get you back

"From the bottom of my heart, Blaine, and because I love you so dearly, I'm going to be honest."

Blaine's not stupid. He realizes that Kurt 'being honest' is a preface for constructive criticism. 'Tana does the same thing. "Yes?" He asks.

"Your solos are breathtaking, Blaine, but they're also quite numerous."

Blaine raises an eyebrow in a move that eerily reminds Kurt of Santana, but the puppy-like look of confusion on his face belies it enough to not give Kurt very weird vibes. "They're numerous?"

"Blaine, you're our lead soloist. You definitely deserve the position- your voice is amazing- but would it hurt anyone to split up some of the numbers between multiple soloists?"

Blaine tilts his head thoughtfully, pondering. "You'd have to ask Wes and the Council, but I'd be completely fine with it. I don't want to steal solos from anyone else."

Kurt smiles and pulls him in for a kiss. When they finally break off (to catcalls and wolf whistles from a few of the other Warblers still in the hallway) Kurt smiles at Blaine. "You are wonderful, you know that, right?"

Blaine grins. "I try to be."

*

The first song, which is still Misery but with Nick and Jeff at the lead, goes fantastically. It's great for building up the tension, and then the segue into Raise Your Glass goes fantastic. Blaine's still the lead on this one, and in Kurt's unbiased opinion it was a great decision to keep him on lead for this song. Blaine leads the Warblers through the relatively simple choreography, grinning the whole time. Blaine's enthusiasm is evident throughout the whole song, and as Kurt looks out over the audience he can see the New Directions jiving along to the song, Finn and Santana included to his delight.

So raise your glass if you are wrong,

In all the right ways,

All my underdogs,

We will never be never be, anything but loud

And nitty gritty dirty little freaks

Won't you come on and come on and raise your glass,

Just come on and come on and raise your glass

Then, as the song ends, David, Kurt, and Thad move to the front to join Blaine. Blaine starts off the song, voice rising strong.

I'm sailing away

Set an open course for the virgin sea

Cause I've got to be free

Free to face the life that's ahead of me

Kurt steps forward with a smile. Blaine turns to him as he walks up, smiling at Kurt as they begin to sing together. As they sing they walk slowly around each other, not breaking gazes.

On board I'm the captain

So climb aboard

We'll search for tomorrow

On every shore

They turn to face the audience.

And I'll try

Kurt smiles as Blaine takes the next line alone.

Oh, lord, I'll try

Blaine does the same as Kurt sings his line.

Oh, lord, I'll try 

Then Blaine spins around as the rest of the Warblers join in and he walks back into the group.

To carry on

As the group begins to do their side-stepping as Blaine folds back into the group and David steps forward to join Kurt in singing.

A gathering of angels

Appeared above my head

They sang to me this song of hope

And this is what they said

They said

Kurt steps back to dance with the rest of the group, Thad taking his place.

David with Thad and Warblers
Come sail away, come sail away
Come sail away with me (Blaine: Let's)
Come sail away, come sail away
Come sail away with me

Come sail away, come sail away
Come sail away with me (Blaine: Baby)
Come sail away, come sail away
Come sail away with me

Kurt with David:
I thought that they were angels
But to my surprise
We climbed aboard their starship
We headed for (Kurt with Warblers: the skies)

Thad:
Singing

Blaine with Thad, David and Warblers (Kurt):
Come sail away, come sail away
Come sail away with me (David: Let's)
Come sail away, come sail away
Come sail away with me

Come sail away (Oh)
Come sail away
Come sail away with me (Oh-oh-oh-oh)
Come sail away
Come sail away (Wooh)
Come sail away with me (Sail away with me)

Come sail away
Come sail away (Yeah, yeah)
Come sail away with me (Sail away with me)
Come sail away (Woah)
Come sail away
Come sail away with me

They finish in a line and the whole team bows in unison as the audience explodes with applause. Kurt looks up and finds the New Directions on their feet, shouting and clapping. Santana's on the end between Brittany and Finn (Quinn's on the other side of Finn holding his hand), clapping and whistling, an uncharacteristic grin on her face. Kurt glances over at his boyfriend as he straightens up and sees him looking at the New Directions too, a blinding grin on his face. A swell of pride rises in his chest as they file off of the stage, and as soon as they're out of view of the audience Kurt hurries over and pulls Blaine into a kiss.

When they lean back Blaine is grinning. "What was that for?" Blaine asks.

"Do I need a reason?" Kurt asks, raising an eyebrow.

"No, definitely not," Blaine says, shaking his head emphatically, "But that was particularly energetic."

"Just...you were so happy, and so was Santana, and so were the Warblers, and the New Directions. Honestly, it's the happiest I've seen everyone in awhile. Whether we win or not, I don't care. Seeing everyone so happy and giving that performance- that makes this the best day of my life."

Blaine grins. "Think I can make it better?"

Kurt smirks. "Of course you can."

Blaine pulls Kurt in by the lapels of his blazer and into a thorough kiss.