Actions

Work Header

spread your wings my little butterfly

Chapter 57: A Wedding

Summary:

You smiled, you smiled
Oh and then the spell was cast
And here we are in heaven
for you are mine...
At Last

Notes:

Kurt flew down for Blaine's senior prom. Cheating didn't happen in this 'verse (alternate explanation will be given later) and so...yeah. Anyway, have some fluff and feels!

Chapter Text

Blaine couldn't be prouder as he walks his sister down the aisle.

Not only is he finally getting married to the love of his life, but he is doing it with his sister at his side- his beautiful, courageous sister who herself is promising herself to the own love of her life.

*

It had only made sense to get married together. They'd both gotten engaged their junior years of college, and when on a double date Brittany had suggested the double wedding Blaine had expected Kurt to protest.

Instead, he'd hmm'd, brushed his thumb over his engagement ring, and said, "Why not?"

(Blaine had nearly fallen over in his chair)

*

It's supposed to be the best day of Blaine's life, and it is, don't get him wrong, but he can't help but be slightly upset that Abuela came for Santana but not him. She talked to Santana beforehand, but as they both come up the aisle her face is set in stone. He tries not to let it bother him and as soon as he sees Kurt standing up there next to Brittany he smiles, every worry flying out of his mind. He is getting married. His sister is getting married. This is the best day of their lives.

(But still, a little voice in the back of his mind whispers, can't everyone else just be happy for him on the best day of his life too? Just for today, that's all he wants.)

*

The vows are beautiful and as he leans in to kiss Kurt, their arms wrapping around each other, all he feels is sheer bliss.

As Sam (the girls' best man) and Mercedes (his and Kurt's maid of honor) sing a romantic duet on stage the two couples dance their first dance. It's like dancing on the clouds as he slow dances around the floor with Kurt, memories of three Proms together floating through his head and a smile on his lips. He's definitely on Cloud Nine, and as they separate he smiles at his husband (husband! a voice in the back of his head shouts, husband!). Then Artie, his sister, and his sister-in-law (wow, Brittany's his sister-in-law) walk onstage and Kurt pulls him off the dance floor with a laugh, ruining the moment, but he can't help but grin anyway.

Throughout the evening he, Kurt, Brittany, and Santana each take the stage to sing, as well all of the New Directions. Santana serenades Brittany and vice versa, and Blaine and Kurt do the same. There are, of course, duets for both couples, as well as one group number with all four of them. Blaine applauds enthusiastically for everyone, but as he sits down after Kurt and his duet he can't help but glance over at his abuela. Though she clapped quietly at Santana and Brittany's duet, she sits there silently for Blaine's.

And he can't keep denying to himself that it hurts.

*

Later that evening after the cutting of the cake and what feels like millions of songs later he finds himself outside, gazing at the stars.

Santana joins him at the railing. "Hermanito, want to tell me why you are outside in the cold night during your own wedding instead of spending time with your elfin husband, which is making me have to lose time with my gorgeous wife?"

The word 'husband' nearly makes him smile, happiness overcoming his frustration for a moment before retreating. Now he's just left with the cold ashes of his anger, and a tear slips down his face.

"Why won't abuela accept me?" He asks, more tears joining the first, "Is it because I'm too nice, that I'm not the fierce, perfect granddaughter that she got in you? Is it because you're actually related to her? I just want to know why she won't accept me, even just for my wedding day, but she'll accept you, 'Tana."

Santana frowns and places a hand on his shoulder. He turns to look at her. He knows that she prefers not to touch people if she doesn't have to (save Brittany, of course- she could cuddle up with Brittany forever and a day). "Hermanito," she says, that familiar fire in her eyes, "I don't have any clue why she won't accept you, but I can tell you that her opinion doesn't matter. Mama, Papa, and Coop love you, Brittany loves you, and you have an esposo in there who loves you to the stars and back. He sent me out here when he noticed you weren't your blissfully chipper puppy-like self. You have a bunch of friends in there who love you. love you, hermanito, and I can't survive without you. You have gone through so much in your life with only us by your side- why should Abuela matter now? So fuck Abuela, she doesn't matter. Not tonight, the best day of your life, not ever." Santana stretches out her arms. "Now, hug?"

Blaine flings himself into his sister's arms, sinking into her warm embrace. She pats him on the back. "Te amo, 'Tana," he sniffles.

"Te amo tambien, hermanito," she replies, and then leans back to look him in the eye. "Now, are you ready to go spend your wedding with your husband without crying?"

He nods, wiping away his tears, and she smiles. "Now come on, hermanito. We have a duet to sing, just the two of us," she says, and pulls him back into the party.