Actions

Work Header

For Peace and Zuko

Summary:

In a universe when Ba Sing Se fell and Ozai never became Fire Lord, the war finally ends… Iroh and Hakoda hatch a marriage plot to bring the Water Tribes and Fire Nation into alliance, with Sokka and Zuko caught in the middle.

Notes:

For interextrovert, allisonkayleen, halliwellslegacy and everyone else who left such amazing feedback on my fics thus far. interextrovert asked for it, so here it is (in the beginning stages at least): your arranged marriage AU featuring Zukka.

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Chapter 1: The Letters

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Chief Hakoda,

Reparations for the war have been ongoing, but I thought it wise to send you a personal letter about their progress. As you know, after the sacking of Ba Sing Se and the near-death of my son, I became disenchanted with the war. When Fire Lord Azulon died and I assumed the role of Fire Lord, I felt it prudent to end the suffering of the world and restore balance. With the help of the Avatar, my brother’s rebellion repressed, and the dawn of a new age on the horizon, I feel that now is the time for a display of hope and unity among the 4 nations.

With this in mind I have been in contact with the Earth King. In light of the nature of inter-Nations marriages in many Fire Nation’s colonies, we agree that these unions should be accepted and encouraged. Although the Earth King has no children or relatives, the idea was suggested that perhaps a marriage between members of two royal families would be politically practical. With the daughter of the Northern Water Tribe Chief so recently deceased, I am reticent to suggest the possibility to him, but am under the impression that you have two children. My son Lu Ten must be able to produce heirs for my bloodline, but I have a niece and nephew who I have assumed guardianship of. My nephew in particular is of marriageable age and has previously shown interest in both young men and women. A portrait is enclosed for your review.

I hope that this arrangement may be amenable to you, and that you will see its advantages. An alliance between the Fire Nation and the Water Tribe after so many years of strife will surely provide the world with optimism about the future.

 

Yours most sincerely,

Fire Lord Iroh

Supreme Ruler of the Fire Nation

Capital City

 

***

 

Fire Lord Iroh,

Regarding your plans for a display of unity among the nations, we are in agreement. Although it remains to be seen how my son will respond to the news, I believe him to be an excellent choice for your nephew. He is similarly inclined, having had several previous dalliances with young men (none of which have rendered him unsuitable for marriage, I assure you).

Although my daughter could also be considered, I believe it likely that she and the Avatar will soon become engaged. As the chiefdom of the Southern Water Tribe is not heritable—and therefore heirs are unnecessary—my son is appropriately high-ranking for the honor of marriage to your nephew, but his absence poses no long-term difficulty for the tribe.

Arrangements can be made at your soonest convenience for our arrival. My son has previously travelled and would, I’m sure, be obliging if a complete removal to the Fire Nation Capital City were to become necessary. I imagine that warmer climes would be more welcome to him than the South Pole would be to your nephew. A similar likeness of my son is included for the young prince’s benefit.

 

I await your reply,

Chief Hakoda of the Southern Water Tribe

Notes:

Update: New, improved, and with tumblr!