Actions

Work Header

When the world is ending, your problems seem insignificant.

Chapter 5: 5

Summary:

rewrite of carl's death

Chapter Text

Before I begin writing i just want to say this is my 3rd time rewriting this chapter because i keep closing out of the tab and losing my project and If it happens one more time I will give up😐

 

The ground seemed to shake under me. My breath's were quick and shallow, barely giving me any oxygen. My throat was painfully dry and my chest hurt where I got bit by the walker. My head was spinning and extremely hot due to my high fever. My leg's felt weak, they could barely keep my body weight up. I coughed as I peered through my eyebrows to try to look ahead of me without getting the blazing sun into my view, the Hilltop wasn't to far away. I needed to get back; say goodbye and give away my handwritten letters.

A couple more minutes. I was covered with sweat, dirt, and blood. I wish I could go back and take a nice cold shower to clean myself off and lower my fever, but I know I wouldn't be alive much longer.

 

I tried to focus on my footsteps instead of my racing heartbeat and pounding head. I carried my feet through the dirt and sticks.

I came closer to the gate to the Hilttop and quickly opened it. Everyone turned to the diraction of the opening gate, uns raised expecting either a walker or a savior. They're eyes softened when they saw it was just Carl, the young son of their "leader".

"Cawerl!" Enid googled in her precious baby voice. I smiled to myself. God, I would miss her.

Suddenly my legs couldn't hold myself up any longer. I let them buckle under me as I fell to the ground. My dad gasped as he ran over, noticing something was wrong. Michonne and Enid quickly followed behind him. My dad ran to my side and tried to help me sit up.

"Are you okay?" I heard Enid ask. I mumbled gibbersih as a response, to tired to speak. I could feel Michonne and My dad turning me around to look for a stab wound or a gunshot, but when i felt my shirt peel up I knew my dad found the bite. I closed my eyes as my lip trembled. My dad's labored breathing turned to silent sobs.

"What happened..?" He coughed out as he looked at me with soft translucent orbs of tears in his eyes. I opened my eye to look at him.

"I-.." My throat was to dry to talk. I heard Michonne's echoey yells for water as more people began to rush over, realising I was bit. A cup was brought to my mouth and I hastily swallowed the refreshing liquid being put to my lips. I drank the whole thing of water before the cup was pulled away from my dry lips.

"Carl, what happened?" Enid whispered as if she didn't want the answer. Her voice was quivering. I sniffled.

"I- I saw a gu-uy, at the store. And a walker was-... coming aft-ter him." I stopped talking looking at the fading faces around me. My vision was wavering back and forth, the different colors and figures coming closer to me and backing away. The blue sky seemed to now be a shade of gray, the white clouds becoming mixed in blobs.

The atmosphere was quiet. No one knew what to say. My dad and Michonne were crying beside me, Judith in maggie's arms. Enid was holding onto my hand even though I could barely feel it. Everything was being covered up by extreme amounts of pain.

"Why." My dad finally said. Everyone looked at him. The question made tears slowly roll down my cheeks. It was one word but it held so much power.

"Dad- It's oka-ay. Everyone has to die." I said trying to console him.

"No- not you. You're only 16, you have so much more life to live. You need to grow up, you can't die." My dad sobbed as he gripped my forearm, above Enid's hand in mine.

"You know, before mom died, she told me I was going to beat this world. I'm not going to beat this world, but you can. Michonne can. Judith can. You'll be fine without me." I whispered, it becoming a chore to speak.

"NO!" My dad sobbed loudly, "I won't, Carl! You can still beat this world, I can't do it without you. Please." his voice lowered as he spoke. I joined his tears. Mostly everyone was crying. I touched my dad's arm and smiled lightly.

"It's to late dad, I was bit days ago. I wrote you letters in my pocket." I whimpered. My dad's extra hand searched my pocket as he kept his teary eyes on me. he pulled out a stack of letter's for everyone who was still alive.

"I love you, a lot, dad. And I love you too, Enid" I whimpered again as I realised I was leaving this earth.

"I- love you son. So much. I'll miss you."

"I lo-ove you, Ca-ar-l."

The world seemed to turn black around the corner's of my eyes. I waited for someone to shoot me. I heard a gun cock and I kind of just, excepted it. I relaxed my body and gripped Enid's hand lightly. The cocked gun stayed aimed at my head but no one shot.

"I can't." I heard Daryl say. No one said anything else. No one blamed him. I was basically his nephew based on the fact him and my dad called themselves 'brothers'.

"Let's read our note's first. Give ourself a chance to respond to Carl, hoping he can still hear us.

A silence passed and I heard paper envelope's ripping open. After another beat of silence, this one longer the sobs around were longer and louder.

I heard some mumbles from different people including

"I love you so so much carl, I wish we could've grown old together, but we can't," from Enid.

"You don't deserve this. You were an amazing boy." from Carol.

"You are brave, and amazing. I'll tell judith and everyone I meet about you. You're legacy will live on, even if your body doesn't." from Michonne.

"You were- an amazing hunting partner and, your a good kid. An amazing kid at that. You'll be missed." from daryl.

My dad didn't say anything but I could feel his grip tighten on my arm as his warm tears fell on my arm and chest.