Actions

Work Header

Birds of a Feather...

Summary:

... are supposed to flock together.

So why did it feel like he'd been left behind?

Notes:

I like to play games and look for random prompts to get ideas when I feel stuck. This fic was inspired by one such game I played on Twitter where I asked for suggestions for a setting, item, relationship status, and genre.

I was given:
Setting: Celestial Realm
Item: Feather
Relationship Status: Widowed
Genre: Drama

I was a bit stumped at first, but chose to interpret these words by what they feel like to me and how I could combine them together to make a story and this is what came of it. Enjoy <3

Work Text:

He’d never forget that day.

“Everyone, I’d like you to meet Lilith.”

Conversations lulled as a young girl walked in, dressed in the simplest of robes with her feet bare and her expression bright. Lucifer had asked them all to be present as he often did, either to discuss assignments or introduce new angels to the fold. This had been no different.

And yet…

“I would like the following to watch over her and guide her in Enlightenment.”

“Mammon.”

“Aw, again? Why another one?”

“Leviathan.”

“Wh-What?! Why me?”

“Asmodeus.”

“Oo yay! I haven’t been chosen as a mentor in ages! This’ll be so fun!”

“Belphegor, and…”

Beelzebub glanced over at the empty seat beside him.

“Beelzebub.”

“Me?” He looked at Lucifer in surprise. “But I’m—“

“Beelzebub?”

Lilith all but sprinted to him, excited footsteps tapping on the granite tiles.

“Lilith, don’t—“ Lucifer began to scold her, but she paid it no mind.

You’re Beelzebub?” She asked when she reached him, “Really?”

“Ah…” He sat up a little straighter, wanting to make a good impression. “Yes, I am.”

Her smile widened and she stood up on her toes, her excitement so bright it made his chest feel lighter.

“Beelzebub, the twin of Belphegor, right? Is it true? Is it true Father created you two from the same beginning?”

“Oh um… yes, that’s true—“

She squealed in delight. “That’s so cool! Can you really communicate with your minds? Do you know his thoughts right now? Can you—“
Lilith.

Lucifer’s sharp tone finally caught her attention and she flinched, looking over her shoulder.

“Sorry, Lucifer…” she mumbled sheepishly, quickly taking a seat next to Beelzebub and sitting on her hands, doing her best to be the picture of innocence.

Lucifer only sighed and shook his head, continuing on with explaining the rest of the agenda.

That day he learned mornings could be… bright.

Lucifer always assigned a group of mentors to fledglings while Michael tended to only choose one or two. It was strange, especially since the young angels would often end up favoring the teachings of a select few until they found a way to recognize Fate for themselves. 

Lilith wasn’t quite like that. She quickly became fond of all those around her, even those who had not been assigned to mentor her. Always eager and excited to learn, it was hard to resist her charm. She held a tenacious curiosity within her, something that never seemed to dim no matter how much time passed.

If anything, it only grew brighter.

He’d never forget how excited she’d been when Belphegor showed them his new Manifestation. A glimpse at a new world, he’d said, something Father had created most likely. It was a strange place, and Beelzebub felt that if Father hadn’t mentioned it to them, then they weren’t meant to know.

Lilith, however, was captivated.

So many questions she’d asked, many that Belphegor couldn’t answer but had been excited by. He’d shown his Manifestation to a few angels, but most had dismissed it much in the same way Beelzebub had. No one had asked or felt the need to give it more than the briefest of glimpses. This unknown realm was of no concern and had no bearing or meaning in the Celestial Realm, so why pry? 

But whenever he saw Belphegor and Lilith together, a contented smile on his twins’ face that he’d never seen it…

It was hard to feel the need to squander it.

Afternoons had never felt so warm.

Soon she’d become older, and it was time for her to choose her path. What had she learned, and where would she like to grow? They had been walking together in the grand hall of the cathedral, her worry and uncertainty creeping in the closer they came to Lucifer’s door.

“I wouldn’t worry,” he’d said, “I don’t even have a clearly defined path.”

“Really?” She’d looked up at him in awe, “But you always seem to know what you’re meant to be.”

He’d never realized how… amusing that sentiment had been in that moment. Known who he was meant to be? Did he? He’d felt like a half of a whole since the day he’d been created, though the feeling never brought him distress. Nor peace. It just… was the way things were; it was his Fate to share with Belphegor.

“Do you know what you want to be?” She’d asked, “Maybe knowing your vision will help me find mine.”

“I want to protect what’s right,” he’d said.

Her smile was like sunlight.

“Lucifer! Lucifer!”

Belphegor had never spoken up or interrupted another before, but when he burst into the room even Lucifer was stunned into silence.

Without pausing for a second, he strode past Lilith and Beelzebub and stopped at the end of Lucifer’s desk.

“Belphegor, we’re—“

“I know, but look.” Belphegor held his hands at shoulder’s distance apart in front of his chest, recreating his Manifestation before their very eyes.

“Belphegor I’ve told you once, and I’ll tell you again. I’ve no interest in—“
“But look!” He’d cried, thrusting his arms out to make Lucifer see. “Look at what they’re doing to Father’s Creation!”

Lilith was at his side in an instant, peering over his shoulder. “What… what are those things?”

“I don’t know, but they’re awful. They’re ruining everything!”

Lucifer’s expression had soured, but he said nothing. Only analyzing. Then he’d looked into Belphegor’s eyes and asked.

“Where did these creatures come from, do you know?”

He’d shaken his head, tears starting to form in his eyes. “No, I just noticed them recently when I looked. They don’t seem like they’re from Father’s Creation.”

“Haven’t you seen creatures… cause harm to one another before?”

“Yes, but this is different! These… these things aren’t like animals. They don’t obey the laws of the realm!”

Lucifer quieted, and Beelzebub had taken a chance to glimpse into Belphegor’s distress. So many awful feelings, many he’d never felt before. Had Belphie… coveted this place?

“What do you think we should do, Beelzebub?” Lucifer’d asked him unexpectedly, snapping him from his thoughts.

He’d looked to the imagery, then Lucifer’s eyes and answered without a second thought.

“Whatever these creatures are, we should make sure they can’t enter this realm.”

The stricken looks on both Lilith’s and Belphegor’s face would never leave his memory.

“Yes… yes, that’s a wise idea. Beelzebub, I’d like to position you to watch the gates while I discuss this further with Michael.”

In a world full of sunlight…

“Beelzebub…”

Lilith had taken to a new hobby, walking along the meadows and gazing out across all that Father had created for this realm. From the scent of grass that stirred in the shapeless breeze to the way the wind swept her hair, she was the picture of serenity and grace.

If only it could be reflected on her face…

“Beel?” she repeated, half turning to him with a sad smile. “Could I… ask you for something?”

“Of course,” he said, “anything.”

She bowed her head and asked in a voice so soft he almost didn’t hear it over the grass’ rustle.

“Will you… hold me?”

“Yes,” he whispered back, not knowing why but wanting to comfort her all the same. He didn’t need to know why, all that he needed to know was he could make her feel safe and shield her from whatever caused her smile to lose its light.

“Thank you, Beel…” she whispered, holding him close as he folded his wings around her, hoping to deafen the sounds around them to bring her peace. “You’re always… there for me,” she said, reaching up to caress his feathers as she’d often done when she was little. She’d always praised his feathers, and even shown him that they could glitter like rainbows in the light. So soft and bright, she’d said, like the realm’s greatest embrace.

when did it become so cold.

He should’ve known.

“Lilith!”

He should’ve known.

Belphegor’s wails rung out far into the night, piercing and wrenching deep inside his heart.

Agony.

Despair.

His knees buckled and he fell, dimly aware of his own pain as he watched Belphegor howl to the moon, tears mixing with the blood that poured from fresh wounds at his temples as thick, monstrous horns adorned his crown.

He should’ve known.

His twin’s cries became hoarse but never ceased. Never faded. Even as his consciousness ebbed away, his wails followed him into his dreams.

Without her smile, there was no light.

“Beelzebub?”

Without her, there was no right.

“Beel?”

He held himself steady, having trapped you between himself and the wall with no one else around. You, who had been nothing more than a simple human selected for the exchange program but quickly became more, so much more. Not just to him, but to everyone. Never had he thought he could make a pact with a human, let alone befriend one.

And yet…

“Beel?”

His jaws parted, breath ragged and hunger setting in. A pact, a friendship, a fondness… nothing could make the emptiness inside go away. Not when you looked like that, so curious and eager. So warm.

So… bright.

“Beel?”

“Order me away.”

“Wh… what?”

Saliva began to pool under his tongue, the temptation to eat what he hungered for rising. This hadn’t been the first time he’d trapped you like this, frightened you like this.

“Order me to stay away.” He forced himself to say, sickening himself with the chilling buzz of his wings. What had once been soft and comforting was now nothing but another reminder of the creature he’d become.

“Tell me I can’t be alone with you,” he continued, swallowing the burning in his throat. “Make me promise to never be alone with you.”

“Oh… Beel…”

Don’t.

“Please.” He bowed his head until his forehead touched the wall, wishing he could say it was in defeat but in reality he didn’t want his prey to escape. 

“Why?” You asked naively, making the burn rise even higher, tightening in his throat.

He couldn’t protect her.

“I trust you, Beel.”

He flinched as arms wrapped around his middle, another anxious flutter of his wings breaking the silence when he couldn’t speak.

He can’t protect you.

You reached up to caress his shoulders, fingertips lightly gliding along the edges of his wing.

“You’re just hungry, right? It’s been a long day.”

The burning reached his eyes, tears blurring his sight.

This empty feeling…

A low rumble vibrated in his abdomen and you laughed softly.

“See? You’re just hungry. I get cranky too when I haven’t eaten.”

Stop.

You rubbed his back, humming a nonsensical tune.

Stop trying to fill it.

He didn’t deserve to feel whole.

Not without Belphie…

Another rumble and you chuckled again, squeezing him a little tighter. “C’mon, let’s go to the kitchen and I’ll make you something. How’s that sound?”

Not without Lilith.

Just one bite.

He grabbed your shoulders and pushed you back against the wall.

Just one bite, then you’d see.

You’d see the monster he could be.

“What’re you doing, Beel?” you asked unflinching, keeping your chin up even as he leaned in to tear at your throat.

“I…”

A monster.

He couldn’t save her.

“You don’t want to hurt me, do you?”

He held your shoulders tight, hating the sound of his wings at his back.

“I… I…”

You reached up to wrap you arms around his neck and stood up on your toes, tucking his face into your neck and surrounding him in your scent. Your sweet, delicious scent.

His hands began to shake, but you only rubbed your cheek against his neck and whispered.

“I know you, Beel.”

“I know you won’t hurt me.”

He choked out such a wretched sound, but you only held him and stroked his hair, speaking sweet nothings while he salivated over your soul.

He had no right…

“C’mon,” you cooed gently, twirling a strand of his hair between your fingers and tickling the back of his neck. “Let’s go get a snack.”

“… Okay…” he whispered. “A snack does sound nice.”

No right…

He could fill your cheeks pull back into a grin. “We should hurry then or Lucifer’ll kick us out of the kitchen and make you wait till dinner.”

No right to let your light fill the emptiness inside.

Series this work belongs to: