Actions

Work Header

Roommate

Summary:

His bills laid out over the table, some overdue, he couldn’t take the pressure he was facing. He thought after moving out he had saved enough, but his job at Dope Sketch really wasn’t covering enough.

or

Reki needs a roommate, but Langa is away at college. So Langa hooks Reki up with a family friend.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1: Hello

Chapter Text

Reki held his head in his hands. Another month another huge fucking bill. The pressure he felt from his head was splitting. Who knew living on your own could be so fucking hard.

 

He had to find a new job. 

 

His bills laid out over the table, some overdue, he couldn’t take the pressure he was facing. He thought after moving out he had saved enough, but his job at Dope Sketch really wasn’t covering enough. He hardly got groceries. His diet had become nothing but instant noodles. On some graces, Joe would invite everyone over for family dinner and he would have left overs that could last 3 days. 

 

Reki clenched his face and cried. 

 

It wasn’t the first. 

 

He cried because he loved his job. It wasn't a bad little gig. It is always fun to make new boards. But it wasn’t enough. Oka had even given him Langa’s hours when he went off to university in Tokyo. At home he was able to put away enough hoping this would cover.

 

He was wrong.

 

At this time his phone buzzed. It was Langa calling. He tried to recompose himself and answer but his voice was too shaky.

 

“H-hey llan-ga “

 

“Reki are you ok?”

 

Reki looked down. He couldn’t bring himself to say it. 

 

“I think .. I might need to quit dope sketch and get a different job.”

 

“What why???? You love it.”

 

“I just… I just can’t make ends meet. I thought I’d have more for this apartment, but I guess not. I don’t want to have to move home. I’m 23 now. Koyomi already took my bedroom so the twins could have their own rooms. I’m just out of options.”

 

“What if I moved in with you?”

 

“But- wait Langa you’re at university. You can’t just quit because I can’t afford an apartment. Then we’ll both be broke.”

 

“You’re right. Hm.” Langa paused for a bit. 

 

“I have a friend that could stay with you. Would that work?”

 

“Who’s your friend?”

 

“It’s my mom’s friend's son. He would come over on Sundays with her. He’s fun. Obviously not as much as you. But we would play video games.”

 

Reki didn’t know if his stomach should be cramping from this new news that Langa had a secret friend this whole time. But that was just Reki’s secret crush burning jealous that was eating him up. 

 

“I guess that… could work. In the meantime… Do you know anyone that could use a custom skateboard that I could help use to .. make rent money for the month haha.”

 

Langa had gotten into university due to his skateboard skills. Reki desperately wanted to make it to one of his tournaments when he had the money, but livestream would do for now. However, hardly did Reki try to get commissions out of his friend. This was new and Reki sat with bullets pouring down his face.

 

“Of course I’ll ask for you. I’ll see if my mom can send me money so I can get a new board from you also.”

 

Reki shot up. “What no!! You’re literally my best friend man. All your boards are free. Just forget I said anything. I'll find something to sell.”

 

Reki’s only other non-skating form of entertainment, his ps4, glistened. 

 

“No, no worries I’ll help you out. And I’ll reach out to that friend. Maybe they’re also looking for a place to stay.”

 

They said their goodbyes and then the phone clicked. Reki goes to grab water and a rice ball he got from 7/11. He sighed as his dinner. He missed his mom’s cooking. He wasn’t going to lie to himself every second. 

 

After he went and began shaving down a commission. He had to keep going. 

 

————-

 

He woke up the next day to a contact from Langa. 

 

Langa: Here’s my friend’s contact. Feel free to snoop on Facebook. Is it alright if I call and let him know the situation?

 

Reki sighed. He probably needed to get some boxes soon. All his boards and supplies were about to take up 5-6 huge boxes to pack. How did he get so much shit? 

 

As it got closer to 10am he got ready for his shift at Dope sketch. Brushing his teeth he heard a ping. It was from an unknown number. 

 

???: Hey Langa’s friend! I’m Kenji. I heard you’re looking for a roommate. I’ll be free around noon if you wanna get coffee and chat. 

 

Reki frowned. 

 

Reki: ahh I actually start my work shift here soon. Do you have time after 7?

 

The ellipse dance. 

 

Kenji: Sure! What’s the nearest coffee shop near your work? 

 

Reki: sure

 

By this point Reki had already started out the door and slipped his phone into his pocket as he hopped on his board. I guess the good part about Okinawa was that everything was still pretty close and local. There was a sense of peace as he glided. 

 

The hours passed by at work. Reki mechanically clicked his pen. He was overwhelmed for sure. He always wanted to be a roommate with Langa. But a random guy that isn’t family was uncomfortable. He could never tell Langa though. 

 

Reki’s thoughts churn till suddenly he’s waiting in line for a coffee he couldn’t afford. 

 

“Make it two!” Kenji appeared behind and pulled out his card. 

 

Reki was shocked. “Oh you didn’t have to!” 

 

Kenji smiled and Reki knew not to fight this. After the drinks were paid they sat against a small table by the windows. 

 

“So - you need a roommate?”

 

Reki sighed and nodded. “It’s a lot tougher living on your own.” Reki fidgeted with the coffee sleeve.

 

Kenji smiled. “Oh do I know. Well I’m glad Langa connected us. Now things should get easier. I think the best solution is if I move into your apartment already.” 

 

“Huh? Really?” Reki was shocked how fast everything worked out. 

 

“Ya I don’t need to commute anywhere being a software engineer. I can basically work remote. What do you do for a living?”

 

“… I work at a skate shop…”

 

“Pft.”

 

It was a light laugh. It rang in Reki’s ears. Of course no one, not a single person he met, understood his passion like Langa. Even some days Oka asked when he would go off and go study. And Kenji was just another person on that list. 

 

Someday Reki would finally add himself to that list.

 

“That’s pretty cool. I used to want to skateboard.”

 

Reki perked up a bit. Maybe he was similar to Langa. “I can teach you.”

 

Kenji waved his hand and took a sip. “Nah it’s way too much of a risk. But I’m glad you enjoy it.” 

 

Reki smiled. 

 

They spent the rest of the afternoon figuring out rent split and when Kenji could start dropping off his stuff. 

 

————-

 

The day finally came when Kenji would be moving in. Reki opens the door to find a large man that was not Kenji. He had a scar across his face and was holding a few boxes high up as though they don’t weigh anything. A few more similar men come through till Kenji, at the end of the caboose, greets Reki. 

 

“Hey there! Are you excited?”

 

Kenji smiled brightly back at Reki. For once Reki had someone back in his life it felt. As much as calling Langa was still something he did nightly. It was nice to have a friend. 

 

“Ya I’m really excited! I’ve been thinking about what I could cook as a welcome dinner.”

 

“Oh you cook?? That’s amazing. I guess I’ll be eating out less haha.” 

 

Reki was kind of taken back from this comment. “Ha - I guess. I just can’t really afford a lot. But now with you helping with the rent we should be able to get better meals prepped.”

 

Kenji just smiled and continued to unload his stuff into the apartment. 

 

The small apartment Reki was renting filled pretty fast. Reki lost his workshop space so Kenji could take the spare bedroom. Reki spent the rest of his weekend arranging his room and workbench area. 

 

Later he was preparing dinner when Kenji came out of his room. He had just finished showering and had the towel around his shoulder. On his upper body he had a couple of tattoos that made Reki question a bit. They looked like something he saw on Twitter before. He was quick to look back down at the food. Only briefly glancing and thinking. 

 

“Really looking forward to this meal after moving all day.” He laughed and sat on the bar stool.

 

“Don’t worry. I make the best curry. Langa used to always steal my bento for it.”

 

Kenji smiled. “So how do you and Hasegawa know each other?”

 

Reki kind of flushed a bit, “We, uh, went to school together.” 

 

“So you miss him a lot?”

 

“Ya…. But we still call almost every night?”

 

“Wow, you two are like high school sweethearts. He talks about you highly a lot as well. When’s the wedding?”

 

Reki drops the ladle. “Uh… we aren’t together. We’re just friends…”

 

Kenji smirks. “But you wish it was more hmm?”

 

Reki turned around. 

 

The other boy got off his stool and walked to the kitchen. “Don’t worry. I won’t tell him your secret.”

 

Reki gulped. 

 

Kenji was learning him too fast.

————

 

A few months had passed and things were working out great. There was always plenty of food. Reki was able to still work on his boards for extra money. He was finally able to build his savings up and hopefully have money set aside for Christmas.

 

Since moving out he lacked many opportunities to see his family during the holidays. It wasn’t custom to give gifts, but he figured since he had missed so many other chances. He would get them the toys they’ve been asking for and deliver soon. 

 

Suddenly Kenji came home slamming the doors. He threw off his tie and came storming through. 

 

Langa was on the phone with Reki while he made dinner, and Reki quietly said, “Gotta go, text ya, bye” and hung up. 

 

Reki knocked on Kenji’s door, “Hey man, are you ok? Would you like some dinner?”

 

It stayed silent and Reki pulled away from the door after a bit. A few hours clocked by until Kenji appeared. He didn’t look sober. Reki was on the couch watching a show they were keeping up together on. He turned to look at Reki. 

 

“I can’t pay rent this month…”

 

Reki froze. He didn’t know how to respond.

 

“Is…is your job ok? Did something happen?”

 

Kenji just turned his head and went to the kitchen. He took the entire pot off the stove. His black long bangs covered his eyes and shrouded his face. No longer could Reki read what was on his mind. 

 

Reki ran off to his bedroom as Kenji sat on the couch. 

 

—————

 

End of the month came by and Kenji hadn’t explained what happened. Reki had forfeit extra he had collected. He still had a nest egg, but he definitely was low on spending money again. 

 

“Hey Kenji. Do you at least have money for groceries? I don’t think I’ll have enough for the month to cook for us like I used to…”

 

“I’ll get paid soon. I’ll just buy my meals and you can buy yours.”

 

Reki nodded. Back to how he was managing a bit ago. 

 

—————

 

No cereal. No rice. Kenji had eaten all of Reki’s food. The agreement had fallen through and Kenji began eating anything in the kitchen. Reki couldn’t keep leftovers. Kenji would it all of it. Reki would take pity and not say much. Until today where he had nothing for breakfast and hadn’t eaten much dinner. 

 

Reki went to confront and suddenly a cold chill passed through him. Kenji looked him dead in the face when he entered his bedroom. 

 

“Can I help you?”

 

Reki froze. He couldn’t do it. 

 

“No it’s. Sorry I forgot what I came in here for.” Reki made a bashful face as he scampered out. 

 

Reki ran to his room and locked the door. He found a pack of crackers and stuffed them in his pocket till he could get to the convenience store to buy rice balls before work. 

 

———-

 

By mid month, things between Kenji and Reki only got worse. It felt so tense whenever Reki arrived home from his shifts. Kenji would be playing on Reki’s game system and the dishes would be stacked high. 

 

On top of it all, rent was due again. 

 

“Hey Reki… can you cover my rent for the month?” Reki stopped. Not again. Has Kenji really not gotten paid since last month? Christmas was next week and he had just saved enough for his family to have gifts this week. 

 

Reki was silent. 

 

At first. “...Didn’t you just get paid…” 

 

Kenji’s face quickly narrowed. 

 

“I had to use that money to get my car repaired. You would understand. Plus it’s the holidays, I won’t have money to buy gifts for my family.”

 

Reki stood there. “But I won’t be able to buy gifts for my family either!”

 

At this point Kenji had stood up and started to walk towards Reki.

“Don’t make me tell him your little secret crush. You know how awkward it would be right when he has to come home so soon for winter break.” Reki froze. Kenji’s dirty trick. He curses under his breath.

“Fine…I’ll …cover the apartment bill… this final time.”

Reki thought that was the end of the conversation.

 

But Kenji only got angrier the more Reki pushed back. He approached Reki and cornered him against the wall. “You know Langa wouldn’t react well knowing you‘ve been using him as his little gay crush to live out happy fantasies all this time… you better stay in your lane Kyan…”

 

Before Reki had the chance to throw a punch back, Kenji let go of Reki’s collar and pushed him into his own room. Kenji turned and grabbed Reki’s phone as he closed the door. Pushing a chair under the lock he trapped Reki in for the night. Reki was terrified. He tried pushing the door open but couldn’t get it to move. He tried using the weight of his body but he had gotten so weak from lack of meals. Reki coughs after just a single body slam. 

 

He knew something was up with Kenji. If he pays this final bill he’ll be in a worse state than when he and Kenji started rooming. He already spent a month trying to cut meals where he could to save money. He didn’t want to continue that trend especially with Langa coming to town. 

 

“You know Langa wouldn’t react well knowing you‘ve been using him as his little gay crush to live out happy fantasies all this time”

 

Was he using Langa? He - he was always trying to hide his feelings. Was he holding Langa back? What if Langa comes home with a girlfriend? 

 

The more he sat and thought the deeper he got in thought till his alarm clock read 3am. 

 

He sits back up on his bed trying to look for a way to escape. He notices the tiny window up at the top that the moonlight shined through. 

 

He pushes his desk against the wall with the windows up high and tries to open them up. He just had to squeeze through and he’d be free and maybe be able to get to a friend like Miya or Joe. 

 

Reki manages to get the window open, but he could barely fit his head through. He panics at this point and starts to scream. However, it’s hard being in an apartment on the 6th floor trying to be heard. 

 

After coming off his panic attack he sank back to his bed. He tried for force himself to sleep for the night.

 

————

 

Reki wakes up to his door being open and Kenji standing beside his bed. 

 

“Wake up, you're going to be late for work.”

 

Reki’s adrenaline is pumping through him. He can barely control his breathing. 

 

Kenji holds his phone. “Say anything to anyone about what happened, and I’ll be sure to ruin you for good. My family has connections all around Okinawa with the Yakuza. I wired your phone to go off if you use it to call or text. You can only receive texts. I’ll also know when you talk to your boss at work. So just be a good little worker and go to your job.” Kenji smiled sickly at Reki.

 

At some point Reki just goes numb on his ride to work. He was fucked. He was a slave to Kenji. No one would be able to get a hold of him. The second he’d tried he might end up being beaten to a pulp. He walked into work to be relieved Oka wasn’t there so he could hide the panic in his eyes. He went to the back and began to work. 

 

Every hour, Reki calculated how much he now had and how much he would have after bills and how much he could go get a small gift for his family. 

 

Lunch rolled around and Oka finally came in. He found Reki in the back and smiled. “Hey kid! How’s it going? Ready for Christmas? Have you heard from Langa at all?”

 

Reki hadn’t checked his phone since last night. He was too afraid to touch it. 

 

“Ah I. I’m sorry I just have been … busy. But I haven’t seen a text.”

 

Oka nods. “I know you’ve been working hard. That’s why I asked the boss if it was possible for you to get a raise and a bonus. You should check your bank to see if he approved. In the meantime I’ll check with Langa. I’m sure he wants to visit his mom and you.” 

 

Reki smiled and then returned to his phone. 

 

Was he allowed to check his bank or should he just go in person. But would someone follow him? Reki’s heart began to race again. 

 

He begins to have a coughing fit. His stomach churns a bit from the stress. He should have picked up breakfast. Oka peaks his head into the room with Langa on the phone. “You ok kid?” 

 

Reki is shaking, but he can’t say it. He can’t say why he’s panicked. He just lets his body lie to everyone and he goes over to a trash can to puke what little fluids he had in him.

 

“Do you need to head home?” 

 

Reki’s eyes widened. “No! No it’s ok. I think I ate something weird when I woke up. Plus I need the hours.”

 

Langa overhears on the phone. “Reki, are you still struggling with bills? I thought Kenji was helping?” 

 

Reki is handed the phone. “No everything is ok I just wanna get my sisters this really cool playhouse.” It wasn’t a complete lie since he had to forfeit so much of his savings. 

 

Langa stayed silent. “I can help you if you want. That way you can go home and rest. You sound awful. Don’t worry I’ll be home tomorrow to see you again.” 

 

Reki’s heart smiled. He missed Langa so much. At this point he starts seeing black spots. He can’t make Oka worry so he starts on his way home. About half way he dips into Joe’s place. He felt safe even though Joe was busy. From there he found a corner where he was out of sight from Joe a bit and let his body take over and passed out. 

 

————

 

Reki hadn’t slept in a while. His bones ached a bit and his stomach had gotten used to the pain. He just couldn’t go back to his apartment. He definitely wasn’t risking his family. Reki just needed some sleep. He’d apologize to Joe for taking up space. 

 

That being said he woke up 15 minutes later to someone shaking him. That someone being Miya. 

 

“Reki! Why haven’t you answered my text from last night???” Miya looked very worried. 

 

He had to lie. But he was so exhausted. 

 

“I dropped my phone and it died.” 

 

Miya looked a bit more relieved. “Why didn’t you tell one of us that you broke your phone? I thought you did something to yourself.

 

Reki looked down. He didn’t mean to make Miya worry. He was now putting Miya in danger. He was putting Joe in danger. Kenji was tracking his phone. 

 

Wait he would still see he wasn’t at work. 

 

Reki needed to somehow get his phone to work, but also sound like he’s working. Panic rose in him. He couldn’t say it. He - 

 

Joe approached the table.

 

“Well well well. Reki, what are you doing here instead of at work?” 

 

Reki tried to speak. He tried to lie. But instead he ran out the door back to work. He had to or else others would get hurt. 

 

He barged in and Oka looked shocked. “Reki, you're back. I thought you went home?”

 

Reki was shaking. “I’m all good now. Can I please finish my shift? I just - “ shit the black spots were in his vision again. Calm down, calm down. He just grabbed a box and started stocking the shelves. 

 

Oka approached him saying something, but Reki couldn’t hear anything. His ears were pumping so much blood. He felt like he was about to faint. He couldn’t though. He had to keep them thinking everything was ok or Kenji would do something.

 

He collapsed before he could make a final choice. 

 

————

 

Reki woke up at his mom’s. He was in his bed again. It all looked like his room. But he hasn’t been home forever. But the comfort of his bed kept him calm. His mom stood by the door asking if he needed anything. And all he could manage to say was, “I need a hug.”  

 

His mom came over and enveloped her arms around him. He felt such bliss. He missed her so much. Why did he suck at growing up? He was trying so hard. Why couldn’t he just figure it out?

 

His mom held him and he melted as she kissed his forehead. She mentioned how there was breakfast downstairs and that she packed his lunch. 

 

It’s selfish to say how much he missed free food. But also her cooking was such a big thing. 

 

He fell back to sleep into her arms. 

 

———

 

When Reki woke up he was not in his old house. 

 

He was back in his apartment. 

 

He was alone. 

 

He tried to get up but his body was too weak. He felt like his vision was blurry. Kenji stood over his body. A bag was hooked up connected to his arm. The bag was draining him of every ounce of blood. 

 

“I need rent money for the month. If you don’t work I have to find another way.”

 

Reki laid still. Losing his blood at a rate he couldn’t predict. This was how he was about to die. 

 

A doctor walked into the room with surgery tools. Kenji stood aside. 

 

“Well Mr. Kyan, Kenji sold some of your organs to help pay for the rent. It won’t hurt and it’ll only take a second to get those out. After that you should be good on rent.”

 

Reki sank into the bed wondering if anyone was curious where he was. Langa wasn’t going to be happy since he spent all this money to come home to a funeral. He ruined everything again. 

 

Maybe his death should stay a secret. 

 

To that Reki fell back to sleep.

 

—————-

 

Reki woke up. This time in the hospital. Crap it wasn’t a dream. He checked his body and found no scars. 

 

There were flowers beside him and a few “get well soon” cards. 

 

Flowers must be from Shadow from how nice they were. 

 

Beside his bed in a chair, his mom sat beside him. 

 

“Hey baby. My sweet boy. I’m so happy you woke up. It’s been quite the scare.”

 

Reki’s memories were blurred together. All he remembers is going back to Dope sketch. 

 

His phone laid across. Still listening. He had to be smart. 

 

“How long have I been asleep?…” 

 

His mom frowned. “It’s just been a day. Your boss brought you in after you collapsed. The doctors could only see you were severely malnourished and sleep deprived. But your friends all say you’ve been struggling with bills. Do you want to move back home again for a bit? I would rather know you’re ok hunny.”

 

Reki wondered if he could accept. Would Kenji be mad because he broke the lease agreement? His heart rate monitor spiked revealing his stress. He couldn’t fake or hide anything. 

 

His mom made the call to bring the nurses back in.

 

“I think you need to move back home. I can’t see you put yourself in danger like this.” 

 

When she said that Langa walked in. He was beautiful and angelic. He went to the other side of Reki’s bedside and pulled a chair up. Reki’s mom decided to leave the room. “We’ll start packing up soon. No worries hun.”

 

Langa sat and held Reki’s hand tightly. 

 

“I know something is wrong. But you need to tell me the truth. You never hide this much from me.” 

 

His hand pulsed from how gentle and soft Langa’s were. He felt like a warm Yule log burning in Reki’s chest. He loved him so much but Reki’s fear couldn’t bring him out of it. He stared at the cell phone. 

 

Langa noticed and knew. This has to be something related to Kenji. He went over to Reki’s phone and took it to the security in the hall. He told the officer something and then returned to the room and locked the door. 

 

“Reki, it’s ok now. You can talk. 

 

Reki’s eyes widened. He needed to say something. “I. Kenji … didn’t pay rent. And … when I asked. He. He told me -something bad would happen. I got scared he hurt others and I just needed to get back to work. I just need to pay rent, that's all and he’ll be happy.”

 

When he finished he was crying excessively. Langa came all the way back and Reki was ruining his only few days he got to hang with him being in the hospital.

 

But Langa wasn’t upset at Reki. He was upset with something else. “Someone threatened you, and now you’re here. In a hospital.” Langa shook. “Do you know how scared I was Reki? The one I care the most about. I flew back for you. I … Reki, you have to tell me if someone threatens you.”

 

Reki chokes. “But I couldn’t. Kenji is listening through my phone. He knows the Yakuza. Please just - it’s not safe Langa. Everyone is in danger because of me.”

 

“Reki, you don’t see it. But we’re here to protect you. You’re gonna be alright. We’re going to be alright. Ok?” 

 

Langa moved Reki’s hair out of his face. “Just rest up and get better. We’re here for you.” There was an unexpected kiss on his head that made Reki’s eyes widen and start crying. Did Langa know? Did he already know that Reki was desperately in love? 

 

“Langa - i just…”

 

Langa leans in and holds his hand firmly. “Rest Reki. You’ll be ok. Afterwards, let’s celebrate Christmas together.”