Actions

Work Header

Forget him

Chapter 6: Wake up

Summary:

Reki wakes up from his attempt. Langa, Masae, and Reki start to talk about what happened, and what will happen to Reki’s dad because of what he did. The gang also cheers Reki up, as he's worried that his dad won't get what he deserves.

Notes:

I promise this chapter is happier.

No TWs for this chapter.

Enjoy reading!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Ouch..” Reki mumbles, he had just woken up to a pounding headache. 

 

He sees Langa sleeping soundly. He was hunched on the bed, using Reki’s thigh as a pillow. Reki also noticed that Langa’s arm was sticking out towards him, Reki grabbed his hand, and Langa jolted awake. “Reki..?” He rubbed his eyes, Oh god, Reki thinks, His sleepy voice is so attractive. 

 

Once Langa registered that this wasn’t a dream and that Reki was awake, he lunged out to hug him. “Reki, I thought I was going to lose you,” He cries, kissing Reki’s forehead. 

 

“I’m sorry–”

 

“No,” Langa squeaks out, he could barely breathe from crying so hard, “Don’t be sorry for this.” 

 

They hug and press soft kisses to each other for a while, they say ‘I love you’ over and over as if they hadn’t heard it the first time that day. Reki didn’t remember much from what happened that night, it was a blur. But what he did remember was right before he passed out. Reki remembered laying on his floor, listening to the commotion outside his door. He was crying, a lot. Almost to the point where his head started to hurt. But he couldn’t tell if his head was hurting from the drugs or the sobbing.

 

A nurse walked in when Reki and Langa were talking about Langa’s past issues. 

 

“He’s awake! Oh, thank god. I was so worried.” The nurse says, letting out a sigh. 

 

Reki smiles and holds Langa’s hand tight. “All right… Reki, I have to take some bloodwork…” The nurse says, the cart following behind her as she walked closer. Reki looked nervous, Langa knew that he hated his blood being drawn. Reki always said that it felt ‘stingy’ 

 

“Just close your eyes,” Langa reassured, rubbing his hand over one of Reki’s bandages on his face. 

 

Langa’s heart ached for Reki, he had been physically assaulted by his father so brutally, Reki even said that he felt like he was going to die from the beating. Langa was so worried that his dad would come after them again, trying to hurt Reki again. He wouldn’t let it happen again, no, he had to protect Reki from being hurt by anyone ever again. 

 

“All right, dear. Do you need anything? Your mother is probably on the way, she said she’d be here around 10 am, it’s 9:50.” She says, Reki shakes his head no, she smiles, and walks out. 

 

Langa clears his throat, “I looked up stuff about opioid overdoses last night,” 

 

Reki sighs. 

 

“Sorry, I won’t ask any questions,” Langa leans his head on the bed, “God, I’m so tired.” 

 

After a little while, Reki starts to cry at the thought of seeing his mother. He didn’t exactly know how to feel. He was mad that his mom let it happen all over the years, and he was sad that she was stuck in this situation for so long. Langa gets onto the bed with Reki to hold him, reassure him, and make him feel safe. 

 

Reki calmed down, eventually. He was mad about a lot of things. He loved the letters Langa sent, but they simply outed him. Part of it was Reki’s fault. He completely forgot about the letters and left them all in his desk drawer. He couldn’t put the blame all on someone else, because if anything it was Reki’s fault. He was stupid to even keep the letters, especially at home. He was also mad that he did this, what was he thinking? Trying to leave this earth sounded like the worst thing right now, he was already told by Langa and the nurse that he was very lucky to be awake and talking. The universe wanted him here, he was here for a reason. 

 

Reki scooted away from Langa a little (mostly because he was angry at Langa and himself) He receives a raised eyebrow from Langa. 

 

“What?” Langa asks, usually, Reki loved to be close, so this was odd. 

 

“Why did you have to send letters? I mean, you knew about my dad. And you sent them even though it's like, concrete evidence of us being together.” 

 

Langa covers his face and groans, “I don’t know, I wasn’t thinking–” 

 

“Clearly.” Reki snapped. 

 

Langa stayed quiet until he finally thought of something. 

“Look, Reki, you know I’m awful at expressing my feelings. I just thought that if I were to confess, I’d be better at doing it through paper. I’m sorry, I figured he found out from the letters. I won’t write them anymore if you don’t want.” 

 

“I liked the letters, I just think it’s not a good idea until my dad is out of my house,” Reki frowns, “I loved them, Langa. They were sweet and thoughtful, it’s just– I don’t want this to happen again. I mean, what if he doesn’t get in trouble for hurting me? Then he’ll still be at my house. I just think that we should save romantic letters until we know we’re safe from him.” 

 

“Yeah, that sounds like a good idea,” Langa smiles and they kiss softly, even though the kisses kind of hurt Reki, as his bottom lip had a gash on it. 

 

“I love you, so much,” Reki smiles. 

 

Langa smiles too, “I love you too.” 

__

 

Reki’s mom arrived at the hospital, and she started to cry and hug Reki, and Reki cried too.

“I’m so sorry baby,” She says, god, did she feel like a horrible mother. Letting her son be so hurt, so broken. She could never, and will never forgive herself. 

 

Reki didn’t say anything to the apology, there wasn’t much to say anyway. He was glad that she was sorry because she almost let him get this bad. He manages to squeeze out an ‘it’s fine,’ in response, but it wasn’t fine. He still felt awful and depressed. Reki knew that now that the attempt and his depressed side, he had to get help, he had to re-tell his story. But he knew getting help would be good, and now that his dad was out of the picture, it would be even better. 

 

Langa was still on the bed with Reki, they were having a serious talk about getting help, and how it was okay. Masae sat on one of the chairs, listening to them talk. She’d chime in every now and then, but she wanted them to have a nice conversation for a little longer. Reki looked happy and relaxed. She wanted him to be comfortable with what she was about to tell him. 

 

“Reki, I wanted to tell you that…” She cleared her throat, “I mean- you probably already know this. But you need a therapist. I managed to reach out to someone and got you a therapist, and a psychiatrist. You’ll need medication and a lot of coping skills.”

 

“I know, Langa and I were talking about his therapy experience before,” Reki says, looking over at Langa.

 

“Yeah, I was diagnosed with severe anxiety, depression too I think… Oh, I also have iron deficiency. Have to get blood drawn a lot.” 

 

“No wonder you’re so pale!” Masae laughed, “I always wondered about that.”

 

They discussed things about what happened that night, but Reki often repeated that he didn’t remember a lot. He didn’t even remember running into his room. But, that was probably his mind blocking things out for his own sake. 

 

After seriously discussing things for a while, Reki smiles.  He was smiling at the thought of the early memories of his father, he remembered him as a good man up until he came out. But Masae told him otherwise. “He was always bad,” Masae claimed, “Always abusive and physical.” 

 

Reki cracks his fingers out of nervousness. 

 

The air felt awkward and heavy until Langa started to talk about seeing their friends again. “What about having the gang come?” Langa suggests. Masae chimes in that Koyomi could come as well since Miya would be there. 

“I assumed you guys told them. And yeah, I’m okay with them coming.” Reki approved, “Today, right? I’ll probably be out of the hospital soon.”

 

“Well, Reki, you’re able to leave soon. Like today. What’s the point of them visiting? You can go straight to seeing them.” Masae says. 

 

Reki and Langa look at each other, that sounded like a way better plan. So, Reki got dressed in clothes that his mom and Langa brought. Langa brought a shirt of his and Masae brought Reki pants and other things like boxers and socks. Langa and Reki were basically the same sizes in clothes but Langa was a size larger in everything because he was the slightest bit taller. The shirt was a little big, but it worked.

 

After being checked out, and driven to Si La Sauce, Reki and Langa realized it was closed, and the whole gang was in there. Their heads perked up at the sound of the car, Reki walked out and everyone ran outside. 

 

“Be careful, Reki,” Masae said as she drove off. 

 

The gang greets Reki with a hug, and many words of ‘Don’t do that ever again,’ 

 

Reki smiles and laughs, and Langa is finally met with peace. 

 

__

 

“Who even gave you the drugs?” Joe asks, his dad tone rising. “Some upperclassmen when I was a freshman. I can’t remember his name, it started with an H…” 

 

Shadow groans, “You know it’s bad when the kids got more drugs than you,” 

 

Reki snickers. 

 

Langa wraps an arm around Reki’s shoulder, “Let’s talk about something happier,” 

 

They start to talk about Reki when he was younger, like middle schooler Reki. When Reki was in middle school, he was pretty scrawny and short. He was still as outgoing as he is now, but he was also a little popular. Middle school was when he realized he liked boys as well as girls, but it was also when everything went downhill. 

 

But, Reki knew that this was a good road to recovery so far. He knew this would be okay, and he would get better in a matter of time. 

Notes:

Sorry this chapter came out slower, I had covid lol !!