Actions

Work Header

Everlasting promise - Endless love

Summary:

The Burgess kingdom, ruled by the great and mighty Magus, wishes to enter a bloody war in order to destroy the Endless forever. Destiny signs a marriage treaty between her brothers and Prince Gadling to form an alliance that will save her kingdom.

Notes:

*☆.*☆.*☆
Hey, I know I already have a project in progress, but I finished this series today and I already have an idea for 2-3 fanfics, so I hope you like it?
English is not even close to being my language, I accept corrections and suggestions
.*☆.*☆.*☆

Chapter 1: Mistress of Destiny

Notes:

*☆.*☆.*☆

Hey, I hope you're enjoying the fic, we have news!
We won an amazing beta to watchtheantagonist , she is correcting and reviewing this work with great affection and I can only thank her for that.
I am very grateful for all your commitment, appreciation and help <3

*☆.*☆.*☆

Chapter Text

The table was set with the most diverse abundance, displaying the wealth of the kingdom. Breads, endless portions of food, sauces, and jams adorned golden utensils and fine plates. Riches that Destiny had long forsaken when joining the Creditors of Wisdom, now returning only out of necessity for the kingdom after the death of his parents. In his core, he knew that above all, his duty to the people prevailed, and that was what relieved him of the guilt weighing on his shoulders. The matter to be discussed with his siblings would not be taken lightly; if he didn't act soon, a bloody war could bring his kingdom to ruin.

Destiny sighed at the dining table, occupying the seat that had once belonged to the late king, his father. He awaited the arrival of his family with great anticipation, but even though considered the most patient member of the royal family, he couldn't help but be irritated by his siblings' lateness. After all, he had warned about the importance of that dinner, and for much of the night, all he received was an empty table and cooling food. This gave him time to contemplate; since his arrival, he had been surprised by the fact that his brothers lacked any class, their parents were too lenient in their upbringing.

Destiny's thoughts were interrupted as the hall door opened. Death, the second eldest, had skin as dark as her mother Night, and her exuberant curls sparkled over the hall candles. There was not a single trace of remorse on her face for the delay. Destiny gave her a look of disgust at the blood-stained silk dress, but at least this time, Death had the decency to clean her hands. Since joining the Healer Sisters, not a day went by that she didn't return exhausted or stained with plebeian blood, a disgrace to the respected royalty that once ruled Endless.

"My sister, how many times must I beg you not to attend the family dinner stained with filthy blood?" the exasperated king dictated.

Death smiled, "Brother, forgive me. I swear I tried this time. I was ready to leave immaculate, but they brought a wounded child who needed my help, and if I changed into another dress, I would never arrive on time," she shrugged gracefully.

Death had not been happy with her gift for a long time. There was great merit in helping people pass on, but she longed to help people live as well. When she joined the healers, she felt fulfilled, having assisted so many, and nothing could diminish that sense of accomplishment.

“I believe it didn't make a difference then, as you are still late and once again stained. Honestly, Death, I—” Before Destiny could start his usual lecture with his sister, the door opened again. Delirium, the youngest of the seven, ran to her seat and almost knocked over the dishes in the process. The king felt a sense of disbelief when he saw the girl's hair, which had been long and blond but now was carelessly cut and stained with pink.

“Delirium, my love," called Destiny as the twins Desire and Despair arrived, arguing about some new game that made sense only to them. "What happened to your hair?"

Soon after, Dream entered with his face buried in an old book. He didn't bother to greet his sisters or even look at them. If Death hadn't pushed his chair, he would probably have fallen when sitting or bumped into the table. His black hair was more unruly than usual, indicating that he had spent the entire day reading, again.

Delirium laughed loudly, joyful. She jumped into the chair and shook her head. "Desty Desty, I painted, painted, look how pretty it is, it's like the butterfly and the flower, but not the grumpy flower that grows tall, very tall, so the butterfly can fly." The girl began to ramble on, quickly forgetting her brother's question. Destiny wondered if his mother dropped the girl when she was a baby; nothing she said made sense. He sighed before nodding for his sister's servant to try to get her back in her seat.

There was no sign of Destruction, and when the king questioned one of the servants he received the usual reply. "I'm sorry your Majesty, lord Despair hasn't returned yet, he said he was going to train beyond the valley."

The eldest of the brothers looked with disdain at the mess that the salon had become. Death was playing with Delirium about her hair and the girl was trying to convince her that she should dye it too. Despair tried to stop Desire from flirting with one of the guards, and Dream continued to read as if he were alone in the library. They barely looked like princes and princesses, they acted like barbarians without manners, and their parents spoiled them too much while they were here.

"Desire, please don't do that again, please, " pleaded Despair, scratching his fist anxiously.

"It's not my fault that I am so desirable, sister, everyone wants a piece," said Desire, winking and blowing a kiss to the guard.

"The butterfly flies, but it's small like me and so it flies around like the goldfish in the lake, so if you made it gold it would be like the little fish that are friends with butterflies, then it would be like me colored," Delirium spoke quickly while playing with your juice.

Death laughed loudly at her little sister's ideas, while her brother remained by her side reading. Even though he tried to appear uninterested, he couldn't hide a brief smile at the sound of the little one's joy.

"Silence" ordered the king with a hard voice, the room immediately fell silent and seemed to get colder and colder with the passing seconds, even Dream looked up from the book in fright. "As I told everyone when I summoned you, I have something urgent to announce."

"I had a meeting with the queen of the Gadling kingdom a few days ago, as you know," the siblings looked at each other, not understanding where the eldest was going with this. "We agreed that a formal alliance between our kingdoms is necessary for mutual protection."

Destiny took a sip from his wine glass, foreseeing the chaos his next words would cause. "A marriage alliance."

While guards and servants whispered in astonishment at the news, Desire was the one who recovered from the shock most quickly. He smiled broadly and commented maliciously, "Brother, I didn't know you wanted to get married so soon. I can hardly imagine what a naive on the wedding night wou—"

Despair widened his eyes and put his hand on his twin's mouth to try to stop her from irritating the king even more, who was not as benevolent as their parents had been.

"Oh, no, dear, it's not me who will be getting married. I believe that burden suits better the one who destroyed the last alliance so that it can be remedied, don't you think, dear Dream?" The king mocked as he finished his glass in a long sip. He never tried to hide his displeasure at being tasked with taking care of the awkward siblings, but Dream, after the break of the last alliance, was the one he hated the most.

Dream's eyes widened at the words, the air seemed to get harder and harder into his lungs, all eyes were fixed on him, and it was suffocating, his eyes watered, as they did every time everything seemed too much for him. He clasped his hands on his now forgotten book, couldn't believe that after what had happened in the past he would be forced into such a situation again, but it left his face blank again. He wouldn't give Destiny the satisfaction of seeing him suffer for it.

"What?" Death's voice cut through the silence, it sounded so cold that even Dream managed to snap out of his stupor to face her. "How dare you do that to our little brother? After all he's been through?" Death was staring at his older brother with a deadly hatred. She hadn't been on Dream's side last time, and she wasn't going to make that mistake again.

Little Delirium had just started crying and babbling things that no one else could understand, too scared by the bad feelings emanating throughout the room.

Desire lost their smile, in disbelief, as if they didn't believe the words they heard. They had long ago had their intrigues with Dream, but they had learned from the consequences of seeing her sweet Dream become a husk of what he once was.

Despair had started biting her nails in agony as he stared at the beige wallpaper with gold accents. She was trying not to spiral into bad, unpleasant places in her own mind. Memories haunted her, her reclusive brother, barely speaking or eating, holed up in his room as he withered away and she could feel with her gift him slipping into deep anguish without allowing himself to ask his siblings' for help.

"I don't remember our dear Dream bestowing us with the details of what led him to decide to submit our kingdom to ruins, and I don't care." The king looked venomous, not failing to smile as he saw his brother cringe slightly. In his belief, Dream had created the path that tends to lead his kingdom to the worst of fates and that would never be forgiven or forgotten. "If we don't agree, fine, maybe we can marry young Delirium then?"

"No." Dream stood up abruptly, slamming the book on the table, speaking for the first time in a long time. "I will marry and undertake my duties as a prince if you wish." His voice was husky whether, from disuse or fear, none of them could imagine.

He started to head for the door when he was interrupted by Destiny. "We haven't had dinner yet, brother. You should enjoy it, soon you won't be attending family dinners anymore." His voice sounded loving, but you could feel it when he was reveling in his little brother's pain.

Lowering his eyes slightly towards the dining table, nausea seized him. Dream only wished he could hide in the library and at least try to process that he would be taken from his freedom again. He needed to get out before he broke down in front of his family and added to the humiliation he felt.

"I'm sorry, my brother, but I believe I need a moment alone to consider my new position. And as far as I know, a family doesn't sell one of their own as a decoration horse. I believe you should also rethink your concepts, and rethink that you are considered the sage of the family," Answered Dream calmly, he might not be the strongest of the brothers, but he always had a gift for words.

He turned toward the door when he felt wires grip his arm tightly. Fate threads. Those present gasped in shock, it was not common for brothers to use their gifts against each other, there were few rules in the royal family and this was the most respected.

“It wasn't a request, it's an order from your king. You seem to forget your roles here. If you act as you please and do not obey such a simple order then you seem more simple-minded than the servants of this palace. You are lucky that someone still wanted to make an alliance with our kingdom.” Destiny pulled his strings, forcing his brother to sit down again, ignoring his death glare.

“This week, the Gadling family will come for dinner.They will stay for a few days to definitively establish our bond, and they will leave with Dream for the wedding. Everyone must act with class, according to their position. I don't want to see another kingdom thinking we don't have proper etiquette."

By the end of dinner, Dream hadn't touched any of the dishes. He concentrated on reading to avoid Death's pitying glances and Desire's harsh comments. Dream was angry, and his parents promised they would never force him to marry again. However, he finds himself just as oppressed as the first time, but he cannot claim Destiny wasn’t right. He had destroyed the previous alliance and summoned the Burgess' wrath. He would accept without complaining or causing trouble for the good of his people.

When the king finally released him from his gift, Dream left quickly. When the door closed behind him, he could still hear Death calling to him and Despair screaming at his older brother. He walked hastily towards the library, he needed to calm down and accept that there was nothing he could do. He didn't even know the name of his fiancée or groom.

“Sir, please wait a minute, what happened? Come on, tell meLucienne asked me to take care of the master, please" Matthew had been chasing him from the exit of the hall confused, he knew that something had happened to his master, but he couldn't imagine what would make him so shaken. The servants were gossiping wildly all over the place, the castle and Dream looked like he was about to have  a panic attack.

The prince stopped and turned to his faithful guard. He remembered how his predecessor Jessamy acted in the same way, concerned about his well-being. With a sigh, he confessed "I'm getting married" and went on his way again.