Actions

Work Header

Concubine Beats King

Summary:

Helaena discovers an old valyrian custom that could save her the misfortune of being forced to marry her brother or her nephew. If it also happens to avoid a civil war and help said brother and nephew be together, well, more the better.

Peep those tags, they do not lie. Ages are nebulous, but they're all vaguely young adult.

Edit: Doing a bit of editing to the earlier chapters right now. No plot is changing. Just smut and a bit more context being added. I still have the OG version and you can hit me up on Tumblr for a copy if you're concerned/want to compare for any reason. Major changes will be mentioned in the chapter notes for those interested.

Chapter 1

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Dragonstone was old and her walls were filled with secrets. Helaena walked the walls of an old library. She trailed one finger over the spines.

Her mother's words echoed in her head.

The Targaryens keep their blood pure.

It had been said simply. A matter of fact. A passing comment.

There was no such thing with her mother though. Certainly not when her father had so recently brought Rhaenyra's betrothal offer up. Again.

Marriage was a noose, a threat upon her life that would soon be tightened. Her hand stopped. Helaena tilted her head to read the spine. She pulled the book from its spot on the shelf.

*The Lineage of the Dragonlords*

It was in High Valyrian. An older dialect, from before the Doom. A difficult read then. One that might take her all night.

Helaena settled into a corner with a candle and a blanket. She let the storms of Dragonstone provide her with a lullaby as she began to read.

"A library?! Are you mad?" a familiar voice cut through the wind and thunder. Helaena froze. Her eyes followed the sound of Aegon's whispers. Through a narrow gap between two shelves, she saw him.

Disheveled slightly, in a simple tunic and breeches. Hair wild and flying about his face in a frizzy mess.

"No one comes in here, trust me," his companion came into view and Helaena raised a brow at the appearance of Jacaerys. He was similarly dressed. As if they'd both risen from bed and come straight here before even bothering to dress properly.

The two were of a similar height now, but that was where the similarities ended.

Those who doubted the parentage of her nephews were fewer now. Jacaerys had filled out into a near identical build to his father and he held himself much as Ser Laenor did, with a confidence her brother so often lacked.

His darker hair and eyes created a striking comparison to other Targaryens indeed, but the strong chin, the sharp jaw. It was not dissimilar to Laenor. Though her mother refused to see it.

Perhaps because he had so many of the traditional Valyrian features that her brother did not. Aegon had received their father’s coloring certainly, just as Helaena had, but he was otherwise the spitting image of their mother.

Not that many were willing to say as much. Certainly not where the Hand could hear them.

Jacaerys was nearly a man grown now. Something her father had pointed out to her several times during this visit to Dragonstone.

Aegon was old enough that he'd been sent to the Stepstones though, with Sunfyre. A proven dragonrider in battle now, as her mother had said in response. Each, and every, time.

The boys themselves seemed to care little for the comparisons.

Now she knew why.

Helaena watched, mouth falling open, as her nephew backed her brother into a wall and proceeded to kiss him. Aegon responded in kind, arms wrapping around Jacaerys' neck. Their breathing grew heavy and Helaena turned her head back to her book as their moans filled the air.

A blush rose on her cheeks as Aegon groaned, "Stop teasing me, Jace."

"You started it," Jacaerys chuckled, voice breathy. Helaena chanced another glance. Her brother clung to Jacaerys, knuckles white as he fisted the tunic her nephew wore.

Jacaerys was kissing his neck now, mouthing down the long column of Aegon’s throat as her brother tilted his head to the side, providing more access. A smile spread across his face, lips parting. Quiet mewls grew louder with every kiss.

"You were flirting with every servant that came in the room during the banquet.” Jacaerys huffed, nipping at Aegon’s ear, “Groped half of them too, according to the steward."

Head falling back against the wall with a whine, Aegon dropped one hand between them. Jacaerys knocked it away from their laces.

"No touching," Jacaerys pulled his lips back. He smirked, leaning forward to press his forehead to Aegon's, "That's your punishment. No hands."

"No hands?" Aegon swallowed, eyes fluttering. Jacaerys nodded. Much to her surprise, Aegon dropped to his knees. Helaena blinked.

Jacaerys slid his hands into Aegon's hair as hee brother pulled at the laces of Jacaerys' breeches with his teeth. Her nephew's chuckle was dark, his voice husky, “Yeah, just like that, Egg.”

Helaena forced her gaze away before she saw anything else. The slurping and moans were still quite audible though, even over the thunder.

Luckily, the book was nearly as interesting when Helaena turned the pages to find a section on the concubines of the Targaryen and Belaerys families. Her eyebrows rose higher as she read and she didn't notice at all when the panting and moans on the other side of the shelves inevitably stopped.

When Helaena closed the book, even the storm outside had quieted. As too, had her fears. Her mother was right after all, the Targaryens were quite queer about their bloodline... and that would be to Helaena's advantage.

And perhaps her brother’s as well, given what she'd seen.

-.-.-

Helaena was always right and never listened to. It was a fact to which Aegon had long since grown accustomed. A solid and unchanging part of life amidst the turmoil of his mother's paranoia and his father's illnesses.

"The dragonlords of old Valyria had male concubines," Helaena hummed, eyes on her dinner plate. Their mother's eyes flashed at the interruption to her thinly veiled jab at Ser Laenor. That the comment related directly to her passive-aggressive insinuation likely made it worse.

"Did they?" Viserys's forced smile softened just a touch at the intrusion. Helaena startled at the rare acknowledgement. Her eyes fluttered for just a moment.

"Obviously, or she wouldn't have said it," Aegon huffed, eyes rolling. His father's gaze flicked to him, brows furrowed. Viserys sighed at the head of the table. He leaned back in his chair as he narrowed his eyes on Aegon.

What? His mother could make underhanded insults about Laenor's sexuality and his nephews' paternity all night but Aegon couldn't be a little rude? Wasn't that just the icing on this particularly disgusting cake...

It would have been more enjoyable feasting with the Velaryons. Hadn't that been the point of this visit to Dragonstone in the first place? At least then he might have enjoyed the inevitable show of Aemond being slapped about by Lucerys. Or vice versa. Both were possible and Aegon had little preference.

"What would the point of such concubines even be?" His mother asked, lips twitching up in a vicious smile, "It isn't as if they'd be continuing the line of succession."

Finally, the king's frown turned on his wife. Helaena beat him to a response though, "They could though. If they were dragonriders."

Hand tightening on his fork, Aegon looked at his sister. He wasn't the only one, but she continued to eat quietly, as if she were talking about the weather. As if she hadn't just sent his heart racing with a few stray words.

"The magic of their blood allowed the concubines to carry a child. At least two of the dragonlords of House Targaryen before the Doom were such children - one of the Jaehaeryses and an Aegon even," Helaena continued as if the entire room hadn't gone silent to listen to her rambling.

"You're more knowledgeable than a maester, my girl," Viserys chuckled as he stood slowly from the table. They all quickly rose with him until he waved them off. A servant came to gather his plates and another for the king himself.

That was how family dinners always ended. Their mother quickly beckoned after the king, which Aegon much preferred. Less nagging that way.

"Why did you say all that?" Aegon followed his sister out of the dining hall, voice low as he resisted the temptation to hiss as her. He turned his head to check the hallways for servants, or Aemond. The Red Keep was always full of eavesdroppers, certainly Dragonstone held its own secrets just as loosely.

Helaena hummed, "About the concubines?" He nodded. Her head turned, her gaze drilling in to his face, "Did you not want me too?"

Throat bobbing, Aegon kept his gaze straight ahead. He ignored his annoying little sister as her eyes focused intently on the side of his face, burning on his already flushed cheek. His heart beat wildly as they walked.

"I don't want to marry Jacaerys," Helaena whispered when they arrived at the door to her chamber. He choked on his next breath. She leaned against the handle, looking over her shoulder, "Or you."

Aegon blinked, "Who said anything about that?" Her brow arched up, eyes narrowing. She disappeared inside with a scoff.

Oh.

Spinning on his heels, Aegon flew down the hall to his own room. He slammed the door shut. With his back to the wood, he slid down to the floor. If his heart had been beating quickly before, it was thundering now. Aegon could hardly hear his own thoughts of the frantic rhythm in his chest.

Helaena was almost of an age with Rhaenyra when she'd been wed. His mother was quite adamant she wouldn't marry a Velaryon. His father wanted her to marry someone with Valyrian blood.

"I'm a fucking idiot." Aegon groaned, hands pushing in to his hair. He took a breath, then two, then three. The squeezing in his chest was not easing. His lungs burned.

With a whine, he let his hand drift down to his cock. Eyes closed, he tried to picture anything but dark, smoldering eyes. That didn't work of course. Aegon groaned as his grip tightened.

The warmth of his cock familiar, pulsing against his palm. The shaft thickened in his hand once he freed it from his breeches. His long fingers wrapped tight, calluses rubbing against the ever sensitive skin.

There was always a bit of pain when he first started. The rough texture of his hands scratching at dry skin. That only gave him more sensations to focus on, pulled him further from his thoughts. Further from the reality crashing atop his head.

Those eyes he wanted to forget rushed forward in his mind. They'd looked down at him from the practice yard earlier, shimmering with mischief as Jacaerys had offered him a hand up.

Cock throbbing, Aegon moaned. Wind-swept hair. Full lips pulled wide on a sudden smile. Laughter that rang like bells in his head.

His head hit the door as it fell back. Aegon bit his lip to keep from screaming a name with his release. He whined as his fingers flexed around his once again flaccid cock.

Forehead slick with sweat, his hand covered in his own seed, Aegon's lips curled in disgust. He let out one breath slowly, then two, then three. At least his lungs were behaving now.

"What the fuck am I meant to do now?"

The answer was simple, and obvious, though Aegon was want to admit such a thing. Cleaning himself up, Aegon steadied himself and then snuck back out into the castle.

The library stood just as empty as it had the night before when he arrived. Aegon walked through the shelves, searching for his sister's nest. She always had one.

In a back corner, he found it.

Aegon knelt and picked up the book sitting atop her bundle of forgotten blankets.

"I thought you said I was mad for picking the library?" A thick voice rained down on him from above. A whisper that sunk directly to his gut.

Jace.

Glancing over his shoulder, Aegon found his nephew leaning against one of the shelves. Smirking at him.

"Or were you just hoping to run into me here?" Jace drawled, gaze flicking over Aegon. His eyes moving slowly, and growing darker with every inch of Aegon's body he surveyed.

"I'm never not hoping to run into you, nephew," Aegon quipped as he rose up, book in his arms. Jace ducked his head, grinning into his shoulder. A dusting of red on his cheeks.

His body felt warm just looking at the younger man. Aegon surveyed Jacaerys, eyes roaming over his muscled limbs and toned body. It was only fair. He clocked the boots. The leathers.

"Going flying?" Aegon quirked a brow. His gaze flicked towards the one slit of a window in the opposite corner of the room. It wasn't visible from where Aegon stood, but he knew what it showed regardless, "Bit late for that isn't it?"

Jace shrugged and took a step towards him, "You could come with me, if you're not busy reading..." His eyes slid over the front of the book before widening. Jace chuckled, gaze rising to Aegon’s face with a squint. "The Lineage of the Dragonlords. Are you turning in to grandfather now?"

"Shut up," Aegon scoffed. His face flushed, "Helaena was reading it."

"In here?" Jace startled. His shoulders stiffened. Aegon nodded and stepped to the side to reveal her nest. Jace croaked, eyes wide, "When?"

Aegon stilled. His eyes fluttered. "I don't know." He glanced down at the book and then to the side. There were plenty of shelves between where they now stood and where they'd been the night before.

Where Aegon had greedily sucked on his nephew's cock and Jace had worked him to release. He bit at his lip, gut twisting as he thought of the way Jace had kissed him.

"Does she-" Jace started to say, voice low, nearly hissing.

"Probably," Aegon sighed, shaking his head, "It doesn't matter."

Jace rolled his shoulders back, forehead wrinkling. Aegon shushed him before he could protest. He raised a finger, pressing it to his nephew’s lips.

"She found something. In the book.” Aegon inclined his head, chewing his lip now. He stumbled over his words, “It might be useful, for us. Perhaps. If... if you'd like."

"Useful for us?" Jace stepped closer, reaching for the tome. Aegon let him take it. The brunet opened the book, scanning the chapter titles in the front. His brow furrowed. Long lashes fluttering.

Clearing his throat, Aegon nodded quickly. His gaze shifted to the wall behind Jace as he forced the words out, "Apparently the dragonlords of Old Valyria had male concubines."

The finger Jace had pressed to the words on the page stilled.

"Supposedly, they even had children, if they were dragonriders," Aegon repeated what Helaena had said, throat bobbing. Jace looked up at him, face carefully blank.

Aegon was a bit jealous. He'd never managed to master such a skill. His face burned as he stuttered out more.

"I'd assume concubines could be quite... useless, if they wanted, outside the expected." His voice trembled. The rest of him followed suit.

"You want to be my concubine?" Jace whispered, lips parting quietly.

Rocking backwards on the balls of his feet, Aegon nodded again. He didn't trust his voice. Didn't trust himself not to say something incredibly stupid as Jace continued to stare at him, gaze dark and unflinching.

The book fell to the floor and Aegon yelped as Jace tugged him close. His hands settled in his nephew's hair as the man devoured his mouth. His kiss hot, demanding, more so than it had been even the night before.

"How do we do it?" Jace gasped as soon as he released him, breath warm on Aegon's face.

"I have no idea." Aegon laughed, tossing his head back with a sigh. Jace dropped down, swiping the book into his arms.

He tugged Aegon after him, grip firm as he held Aegon's hand, "I suppose my ride with Vermax will have to wait then."

Notes:

*waves hand* If GRRM didn't want me exploiting the lack of information about Old Valyria for nefarious purposes, he shouldn't have left so many tantalizing plotholes for me to abuse.

Chapter 2

Notes:

Edit: Since I decided a few chapters after this to up the rating, this chapter now comes with additional smut that it didn't have originally. ^^" Enjoy!

Chapter Text

"Have I ever mentioned how much I hate reading?" Aegon whined as he lounged back against his lover's bed, arms above his head. He traced the dragons carved into the headboard as he watched Jace pace the room.

A book in hand, Jace looked up to aim a glare at him, "You're not even the one reading."

"I read the first book," Aegon waved him off dismissively. Jace continued pacing, brow scrunching up. Head tilting, Aegon sighed, "Find anything yet?"

They'd been researching for days now. The library had been scoured. Aegon had attempted a conversation with his sister. Every avenue was being explored.

"All the books mention that the only males who could bear children were dragonriders," Jace bit at his bottom lip, eyes narrowing.

Aegon shrugged, "Something about our bloodlines then? Helaena said it was the ‘magic of their blood’ I think."

Jace shook his head. He moved to the bed, placing the book in Aegon's lap. His finger went to a single line, which Aegon dutifully read aloud, nose wrinkling.

"The dragonlords often went flying with their concubines before conception?"

"Read it again," Jace shook his head, frowning as he pointed at one word in particular, "There's something off. I can't place it. Your High Valyrian is better than mine, what does that word mean exactly?"

With a sigh, Aegon leaned forward, dragging the book into his lap. He read the whole paragraph.

Some words required significant context. A random participle or a stray article a few sentences earlier could change their meaning on occasion. His eyes fluttered.

On this occasion, apparently.

"What?" Jace crawled onto the bed, leaning over Aegon's shoulder. "What's that face?"

"Well, it's a time word, obviously," Aegon ducked his head closer to the page. Jace moved with him, a steady warmth at his back.

He read the paragraph again to be sure.

"During." Aegon's brow furrowed and he looked up over his shoulder at Jace. "It could mean 'during.'"

"So... we need to fuck while flying then?" Jace raised a brow, a smile tugging on his lips. Aegon huffed out a laugh.

"You say that like it's easy," Aegon shoved the book off his lap. He twisted, facing Jace properly when his nephew had the audacity to shrug. He shoved at Jace's shoulder, "It's not."

"I've gotten you off on Sunfyre before," Jace drawled. He fell backwards, hands folding behind his head as he leaned against the headboard. A smirk twisted at his lips.

Aegon laughed, voice half hysterical, "With your hand!" He rolled onto his hands and knees, crawling over Jace to pin him to the bed. His hands squeezed at Jace's shoulders, "And I'm not the one that needs to get off to make this work."

A hand moved to Aegon's chest. It moved over his shirt, pulling the ties open. Jace hummed, eyes lidded as he arched up to kiss Aegon lightly, "Once I'm inside you, getting off won't be an issue, I can assure you."

Face burning, Aegon swallowed. He nodded mutely as Jace continued to move his hand downward. Fingers skimming over his bare chest, down his sternum to his stomach.

"I'm more concerned about getting grandfather to agree, if I'm being honest," Jace spoke softly. His hand was sure, steady, but his voice trembled. His throat bobbed.

"That's why we can't give him a choice," Aegon gasped as the hand tugged at the laces of his breeches before moving up again. His voice caught as his skin pebbled. "That ceremony you found, the wedding rite. That will tie us together by blood, by magic."

Another hum. Jace swiped a thumb over Aegon's nipple. His eyes locked on Aegon's, "My mother will be furious."

"Well, according to my mother, she's already planning to kill me," Aegon ducked his head, sighing as the hand on his chest stilled, "So really, I have nothing to lose."

"What?" Jace sat up, hand fisting in Aegon's shirt. He yelped, flailing in Jace’s lap as his nephew dragged him closer. Jace pulled Aegon’s face down to meet his.

Chest suddenly tight, Aegon stared into Jace's eyes. They were smoldering, the brown alight like fire, like a forge. Aegon trembled in his lap.

"My mother doesn't want to kill you," Jace said it firmly, voice hard. Sure. His eyes narrowed. Aegon gulped. "Why does your mother-"

The room grew thick with tension. Aegon wiggled in Jace's lap, rocking forward. A hand moved to his hip, stilling his movements. Halting his attempt to distract.

Jace tilted his head. His gaze sharpened and his lips curled back, "She wants you to challenge my mother for the crown."

"Well, apparently my very existence is the challenge." Aegon cleared his throat. His eyes dropped to the space between them, to the hand twisted in his shirt, "I would prefer being concubine to king, for the record.”

He shifted forward, settling in Jace’s lap. Aegon’s throat bobbed as he ran his hands up his nephew’s chest, his throat. With a hum, he pressed their foreheads together.

“Less responsibility.” Aegon laughed and his eyes rose up to meet Jace’s once more. He smiled shyly, nerves prickling in the back of his mind, “Much safer too, I think."

"Given the number of women in our family that have died in childbirth, I would say that last part's debatable," Jace muttered. He leaned back, falling onto the mattress and pulling Aegon with him.

With a sigh, Aegon wrapped a hand around Jace's wrist. Long fingers light as he slid his palm upwards. Jace released his hold on Aegon's shirt and let Aegon lace their fingers together. He dropped his head down to press a kiss to their joined hands.

"This will work," Aegon told him, gaze lifting to meet Jace's eyes, "Us, together, it will work, and the fighting will have to stop. Our families will be joined, like your mother wanted."

His head quirked to the side, nose wrinkling.

"More effectively than her stupid plan with Helaena too,” Aegon spat out the words and a bark of laughter ripped from Jace's lips.

Jace arched a brow, raising a hand up to cup Aegon’s cheek, "Is this why you flirt with anything in a skirt?"

He skimmed his knuckles over Aegon’s jawline for a moment. Their clasped hands were then pulled against Jace's chest, against his heart. Jace licked his lips. Eyes flickered downward over Aegon’s body as Aegon huffed.

"I must admit, your jealousy is surprisingly attractive,” Jace teased him.

Eyes rolling, Aegon ducked his head down to kiss Jace. A quick nip at his bottom lip as he hummed, "It's more deflection, really, but I do enjoy how possessive you can be.”

A possessiveness that Jace was quick to demonstrate, neck arching up to capture Aegon’s mouth properly. Their lips slotted together quickly and Aegon gasped as Jace rolled them over.

"Just wait," Jace chuckled, pressing Aegon's hands into the mattress above his head. His eyes flashed, pupils blowing wide as he inhaled sharply, "Soon, I'll get to possess you in full, and everyone will know."

Aegon groaned, cock twitching in his breeches, "That's fucking hot." Jace devoured his mouth again. The kiss hard, bruising. Aegon rolled his hips, whining as he was held firmly against the mattress. His lungs burned as the air was stolen from him.

Tongue slipping into his mouth, Aegon used the opening to trace his own tongue over Jace’s bottom lip. Light as a feather. Teasing.

His lover took the bait, sucking on Aegon's tongue, drawing him in deeper, tugging him closer. Jace yanked open his breeches and Aegon kicked them off with great prejudice.

Their mouths never parted. Breathing as one, their bodies molding together. Aegon whimpered as he arched up. He clawed at Jace’s back the moment his hands were released.

“Take me,” Aegon begged against his lips, panting as his cock throbbed. He pressed a quick kiss to Jace’s cheek, “I want you inside me, wanna feel you, your cock, your… seed.”

“You’ll have it then,” Jace promised, rocking against him. His hand trembled as he reached for the oil hidden in his bedside stable.

Gasping, Aegon’s back arched as the first finger pushed into his hole. His mouth fell open in a quiet scream. He bit down on his lip to silence himself as Jace mouthed at his chest.

“You won’t have to quiet yourself soon,” Jace clenched his jaw. He rose back up, claiming Aegon’s mouth with a vicious kiss, “Gonna make you scream for me.” He groaned, nosing at Aegon’s jaw, “Want everyone to know how much you like it. How much you want it.”

“I do,” Aegon dug his heels into the mattress. “I want it,” he babbled, hands fisting in dark curls as Jace scissored him open, two fingers twisting inside him, pressing into those spots that Jace knew so well. “I wanna be yours!” Aegon’s moan echoed out and he found himself muffled by a hand.

Jace’s throat bobbed. Their heads bowed together as he knuckled at Aegon’s prostate, his eyes were practically burning as Aegon drank it in. He bit down on the meat of Jace’s palm, whining until it was replaced by his lips.

“Tonight!” Aegon cried out, burying his face in Jace’s throat as the head of his nephew’s cock pressed to his hole. His head fell back.

He rocked back, taking the cock deeper as Jace thrust forward. Their bodies moved as one, falling into a familiar rhythm. The melody of slick skin slapping together, of his lover’s grunting, his panting breaths.

“Marry me tonight,” Aegon stared up into golden eyes. He swallowed, voice cracking, “Marry me tonight.” Jace nodded.

“I’ll marry you at sunrise,” Jace whispered against his lips, "Take you on Sunfyre right after." His hips moved faster, Jace's thrusts wild as his pleasure mounted.

Aegon felt his own coiling in his gut. His cock weeping as it bounced between their stomachs.

“By breakfast…” Jace panted, cupping Aegon’s face in one hand. “…you’ll be carrying my heir.” He groaned, pleasure cresting. His body shook, cock twitching as he released his seed into Aegon’s body.

Clenching around him, Aegon’s body spasmed with his own climax. His cum painting their warm flesh as his eyes fluttered closed. He mewled, nosing at Jace’s cheek as the man collapsed on top of him.

Aegon smiled to himself, his limbs still wrapped around Jace as they both went limp. He sighed, clenching around the softened cock inside him. It wouldn’t be soft for long.

And the seed dripping from his hole would have someplace else to go. Soon.  

-.-.-

Helaena blinked at her door when the knock came. It was late. Very late. Sunrise closer than sunset even.

"Hurry up, Helaena!" Aegon's whispered shout came through the wood and she opened the door to find him waiting, arms crossed, with a scowl twisting at his expression. Behind him, Jacaerys stood, head turned to watch the hallway.

"What are you doing here?" Helaena tilted her head, brows scrunching low.

Aegon rolled his eyes, "Just get dressed. You're coming with us." He nodded back towards Jacaerys. Her nephew flashed her a quick smile.

He, at least, had the decency to answer her question. "We need a witness."

"Oh," Helaena blinked again. Her eyebrows arched high after a moment, "Oh!"

She closed her door quickly and rushed to throw a dress on over her shift. This was not exactly how she'd expected they would go about things.

A secret wedding in the middle of the night.

Aegon, sure, he hated confrontation, but Jacaerys was a devoted son. A loyal son. He'd accompanied his mother to King's Landing for tourneys and small council meetings without complaint or issue for...

Helaena paused, her foot halfway in her boot.

Oh.

"How long have you two been sneaking around together?" Helaena asked when she opened her door again. Eyes narrowed on Jacaerys in particular. He smirked.

"Remember the night Rhaena claimed Vhagar?" Jacaerys offered over his shoulder as they started down the hall.

That certainly explained how the fight between Lucerys and Aemond had escalated so far. Helaena arched a brow at Aegon. He raised his chin. His cheeks flushed with color.

"What?" Aegon huffed as they descended a staircase tucked behind a small overlap hidden by the stone walls. Maegor's inspiration for the Red Keep was obvious now.

"Wasn't that also Jacaerys' twelfth name day?" Helaena asked with a hum. Her brother’s head snapped around, cheeks burning red. He avoided her gaze.

Jacaerys beckoned them to follow as he led them through a labyrinth of corridors. He grinned wide, eyebrows jumping up briefly, "And yeah, I bullied him into giving me a kiss as my present."

Aegon whined when Helaena giggled, "Shut up.” He stomped his foot, arms crossing as he pouted, “It was just a kiss."

"It wasn't a kiss in the library," Helaena drawled and both men froze. Heads turned to look at her. Eyes wide as they both paled.

Her face remained as serene as the sea. A mask that broke only when her lips twitched.

"You voyeur..." Aegon huffed. Jacaerys was blushing now too, lips pressed firmly together as he continued to lead them through the underbelly of Dragonstone.

Helaena laughed, head falling forward. Her hair fell with it, flying out as she teased her brother, "Don't worry, I didn't watch much. The book was more interesting."

"The book?!" Aegon squawked. His face contorted into a scowl, lips puckering, "Is it weird that I'm a little insulted?"

"Yes," Jacaerys tossed back as the corridor opened up to reveal the beach. The dark stone beneath their feet gave way to sand. A nervous looking maester was waiting in the little bay the sea had carved out from the rocks.

A small bundle was resting in the man’s arms. Two dragons curled up not far from them. One green. One gold. Even breaths from the two large beasts proved them asleep, but the maester's gaze flicked towards them nervously at each snore.

It took longer for the two of them to change than to complete the marriage ceremony. A simple rite with Valyrian oaths. The only thing they really needed was the chalice. A golden goblet older than the fortress that rose up behind them.

Helaena watched from beside the maester as they cut their lips, marked their foreheads, and drank the blood-mixed wine. The man beside her served the same purpose as her.

A witness. Someone to testify before the king. A man of the Citadel with numerous rings hanging on a chain from his neck was a reputable source.

She was a royal one.

Together, they watched her nephew pull her brother in for a kiss. Sealing them together in a way even the Seven could never dream.

Aegon's smile when they parted was as bright as any sunrise. His eyes alight with a joy Helaena had rarely seen in his face.

The maester didn't frown like she expected.

Vermax let out a billowing roar.

Helaena startled at the sound and her head swung around to see the green dragon rearing back to do it again. His maw flung back and his mouth opened wide.

Jacaerys chuckled, hands still clutching at Aegon's face as red flames filled the air with smoke. His dragon’s call echoed off the stone around them as Jacaerys dragged her brother in for another kiss.

"Your beast has never been as subtle as you," Aegon gasped when they broke apart, voice light with laughter. He rolled his eyes, but he clung to Jacaery, fingers curlint in his robes.

Sunfyre soon joined Vermax in chorus. More dragons could be heard as well, across the island. The sand beneath her feet vibrated as Helaena toed off her shoes.

No doubt, every dragonrider was now waking and rushing to investigate. Guards and keepers rushing about in search of danger.

"You might want to hurry, if you'd like to finish before you're found," the maester gestured towards the dragons, his gaze already focused on the long and winding path back to the castle.

Now he was frowning.

Helaena sunk down, settling in to the sand with a sigh. Aegon gave her a quick look, "You'll be fine here? While I'm gone?"

"Dreamfyre is awake now. I'm sure she'll come. Quicker even, if there is danger," Helaena offered softly.

Her gaze drifted towards the sand. Her hands already slipping into the coarse material. It was rough against her palms. Her fingers curled, nails dragging into the surface.

"I face no dangers now." She smiled up at her brother, "You have ensured that."

Aegon blinked. A laugh bubbled up from his lips a moment later and then he was running. Towards Sunfyre, towards his future.

Helaena giggled as she watched his and Jacaerys’ hands swing between them as they moved. Clasped together, clinging to one another. Another kiss was exchanged before they climbed into the golden dragon’s saddle.

They took to the sky on Aegon’s dragon. Sunfyre rising quickly into the air as Vermax circled them. They drifted far over the water, rising higher and higher. Beyond her sight.

Though she kept watching anyway. Fingers buried in the sand. Her hair flew out around her, the wind whipping at her face.

It was Lucerys who found her. Only a few moments after Dreamfyre had settled at her side. Helaena ran one hand over blue scales.

Her eyes never left the horizon.

"What's happened? Why are the dragons all so antsy?" Lucerys quirked an eyebrow as his own dragon shuddered beneath his hand. Arrax screeched, head shaking.

The smaller dragon could not fly with Lucerys just yet, but he nuzzled into the boy's side with great determination. Pressing his maw against her nephew’s chest.

"Your brother has taken a concubine, in the way of our Valyrian ancestors," Helaena told him plainly and Lucerys turned, brows furrowing as he followed her gaze.

She stared, unblinking, unflinching, at the rising sun as he squinted at the pale blue sky.

"Who?" His nose wrinkled and Lucerys turned his head to survey their new guests.

More dragons had taken to the sky. Some with their riders, others not. All of them circled the beach where they stood.

Or, where Lucerys stood. Helaena leaned back against Dreamfyre, legs curled beneath her. Her dragon exhaled slowly. Nostrils flaring as the large beast watched the dragons and their riders gather around them.

It would soon be very obvious that Jacaerys had taken after his father in more than just his fighting style.

Helaena laughed and patted at Dreamfyre’s maw. Her mother would be furious. She smiled at her nephew, finally turning her head.

"You'll see."

-.-.-

Aegon had the reigns of Sunfyre wrapped and knotted around one of his wrists. He did little to guide the dragon as they flew through the air, rising and diving at low inclines.

Never twisting, or flipping. As if Sunfyre knew, as if his dragon could read Aegon’s mind.

"I could grow fond of this," Jace kissed at Aegon's cheek. His voice thick as he panted, breath warm against Aegon’s face. Jace rolled his hips upward, driving his cock deeper, and Aegon moaned.

"Vermax will grow jealous," Aegon gasped out, eyes fluttering as he rocked back against his husband. He smiled to himself.

Sunfyre shifted beneath them. Jace squeezed at his hip, one hand stroking over his cock as he whispered, “Don’t you worry about that.”

The wind whipped around them. Aegon whimpered at the sensation dragging over his skin. His cock throbbed.

He'd always liked the feel of a breeze a little too much.

Jace chuckled darkly, rolling his hips again, "He'll be big enough to take us both up soon." Aegon felt his body clench and a shout fell from his lips as he climaxed.

Eyes rolling back, his grip on the reigns tightened and Sunfyre snarled. They dived suddenly and Jace held him tighter.

The thick cock in his ass seemed to pulse inside him. Aegon choked on his next breath as they leveled out. He squeezed around Jace, whimpering as the man pulled out. The familiar drip of cum sliding out of his hole told him the deed was done.

"What do you think?" Jace asked, chest heaving with harsh breaths at Aegon's back. His hands slid over the front of Aegon's tunic. He held one hand at his stomach as the other moved to his breeches. "Ready to go home?"

Aegon grabbed the wrist reaching for the fabric pulled tight around his thighs. He looked over his shoulder.

The warmth of Jace's breath on his cheek had him smiling, "Once more, just to be sure.”

Chapter Text

The dragons all circled the beach where the blood ritual had taken place, perching on nearby rocks and cliffs. A few remained in the sky, soaring above them. Hovering.

Waiting.

Their riders had come with them, whether on their backs or following the sounds of their roars. Helaena wondered if they felt something too. Felt the change in the air.

In their hearts.

A warmth in her chest had bloomed from the moment Jacaerys had kissed her brother, their blood smearing across their lips. Lucerys was clutching at his chest too, nose wrinkling as he stared at the horizon.

There was nothing to do but wait.

A fact that had every one of the Targaryens now assembled grumbling. As a rule, her family was not known for their patience.

"Vermax is missing."

Laenor was the first one to say it, to notice the glaring absence of the most temperamental dragon on the island. His brow furrowing as he looked over the dragons roosting on the stone outcroppings above them.

Rhaenyra's head snapped around, silver hair flying. Her lips pursing as she noticed who else was missing.

"So is Sunfyre."

Lucerys choked, head snapping around as he spat, "Aegon?!" He made a gagging sound and marched up to Helaena, "Please tell me my brother has better taste than that?"

"Unfortunately not," Helaena hummed and Lucerys whined, hands scrubbing at his face.

"What do you mean 'taste?'" Aemond drawled, eyebrow arching as he turned his head from the dragons to Lucerys.

Rhaenyra had paled, her eyes widening as she exchanged a look with her husband. Laenor’s throat bobbed.

Lucerys gestured towards Helaena, hand waving emphatically as he huffed, "She said Jace took a concubine."

"Seven Hells," Laenor groaned, eyes squeezing shut. Aemond simply blinked, his mouth falling open slightly.

They all straightened as the king arrived. Helaena ignored him, smiling at the horizon as the warmth in her chest pulsed. Her heartbeat with it.

Her mother still wore her dressing gown, her hair loose around her shoulders. Alicent and a servant were both fretting over Viserys as he ambled forward. Marching onto the beach with his cane and a frown.

The king looked from Rhaenyra's pale face to Helaena's serene smile. His brow furrowed.

"What is the meaning of all this?" Alicent snapped, lips curling as her gaze swept over the assembled individuals. She tugged her robe tighter around her body, forehead wrinkling.

All six of them were dragonriders, though Helaena knew it had been a long while since her father had taken to dragon back. Her mother was the only one on the beach who couldn’t feel it, surely.

A chorus of roars heralded the return of one of the missing dragons.

Vermax.

The green beast postured. The ground shook as he landed. His back arching as he marched across the sand, Vermax screeched once.

Long and high. A sharp note that had the glass of Dragonstone’s windows shaking, if not the stone itself.

The gathered dragons returned his call and the whole fortress shook. The island with it.

Alicent held her hands to her ears as the song of dragon calls filled the air. The queen’s eyes squeezing shut as she winced.

Sunfyre sailed over the water, gently gliding until his talons reached the beach. Jacaerys slid from the saddle first, his clothes mused and his skin flush from the ride.

There was no mistaking the ceremonial robes for anything else, even at a distance.

"A blood binding?" Viserys croaked, face a mirror of his eldest daughter's as he watched Aegon climb down from his dragon next.

Their mother’s forehead creased.

Aegon stumbled on his way down. He limped slightly, even with Jacaerys helping him. Hardly able to walk at all as he leaned into his husband’s side.

Ducking her head, Helaena's cheeks reddened as she realized that his recent activities had likely been... rough. To say the least.

"Good morning," Jacaerys greeted them with a wide grin. Blood lingered on his lips. His forehead. At his side, Aegon was wrapped around the arm Jacaerys had offered him as he'd tripped away from Sunfyre's side.

Her brother’s expression was far more wary.

"Tell me you didn't, boy!" Viserys snapped harshly. He was scowling, lips curling back. His eyes focused solely on Aegon.

The queen looked between her son and her husband, eyes fluttering. Fingers rose to her throat. Helaena watched them twitch. Shake.

Nearly identical to the way her brother’s hands twisted in his husband’s sleeve.

Jacaerys, voice firm and eyes narrowed, answered Viserys. Chin rising as he stared down the king, "I took Prince Aegon as my concubine."

"In the ways of our Valyrian ancestors?" Lucerys tacked on, head tilting as he repeated Helaena's words. Jacaerys nodded sharply.

"We're bound together by blood now," Aegon cleared his throat, shifting closer into his lover's side, "No matter what the future brings, we'll always be one."

The fury on the king's face was nothing compared to the twisting rage that came over the soft features of his wife. Her voice rose as she stepped towards Rhaenyra, seething.

"Your son-"

"Alicent!" Viserys shouted. She froze, her chest still heaving. Hands fisted at her side as she stepped back. Her head ducked low.

Rhaenyra hadn’t paid her any mind regardless. She was still staring at Jacaerys.

"Why would you do this?" Rhaenyra asked softly, brow furrowing, eyebrows turned sharply inward, "Any match... every match we could make you, you’ve-"

Jacaerys snorted, he shook his head, "I made my own match." He turned, capturing Aegon's lips in a searing kiss that left him gasping. Helaena's cheeks burned just to see it. Her brother shuddered.

Swaying on his feet, Aegon clung to Jacaerys. His violet eyes hazy as he held tightly to his husband’s arm. Helaena watched her brother bow his head to Jacaerys’ shoulder, hiding a smile in his ceremonial robes.

Eyes hard, Jacaerys looked back to his mother. His throat bobbing, chin rising once more, "It solves the succession issue. Aegon will carry my heirs. Both lines will lead to the same place. There will be no need for fighting."

"What?!" Laenor's exclamation was overshadowed by Aemond's. Helaena watched her younger brother's shoulders roll back.

The tension did not give. Aemond’s lips pursed into a straight line.

"Is this about that nonsense Helaena was spouting at dinner the other night? About dragonlords taking their riders as concubines or some such silliness?"

Helaena frowned, "It's not silly." She raised a hand, gesturing wide towards the circle of dragons they all found themselves in, "It's the magic of Old Valyria. The dragons can feel it in their blood, surely you must as well?"

"Those are just fairytales," Aemond huffed, though his hand rubbed absently at his chest.

"And what if it doesn't work, hmm?" Viserys spoke again, words clipped. He was still focused on Aegon, still scowling, "What if your ritual, this blood magic, what if it all comes to nothing, boy?"

Aegon swallowed, throat bobbing. He straightened, taking a step from Jacaerys, before speaking. His words did not shake, but his hands were trembling till he clasped them in front of his abdomen.

"Then Jace can take another, a wife to give him children,” Aegon told him, shrugging, “I'll remain his concubine regardless. The first wife, so to speak."

A scowl flashed across Jacaerys' face, but he buried it beneath a neutral expression quickly. Aegon remained still, stiff as he stood before the king’s fury.

Rhaenyra sighed, drawing all of their eyes. She pinched the bridge of her nose. "The lords of Westeros will not accept this."

"It would hardly be the first time a Targaryen took multiple partners," Aegon pointed out, arms crossing defiantly, "And dragons are not beholden to the laws of men."

His eyes flicked to his mother, tone sharp.

"It's why we're allowed to marry and fuck our sisters when they can't." Helaena turned her head as his words had several gazes shifting towards her.

"This is crazy," Alicent scoffed. She turned to Viserys, lips pressed together, "Surely you can fix this.” Her hands fisted at her side, voice shrieking, “Aegon cannot be some broodmare for Rhaenyra's son!"

Vermax screeched, taking a sudden step forward. His wing went wide as he planted a claw in the sand, obscuring Aegon from view.

Eyes wide, Helaena shrunk back into Dreamfyre. Her dragon was calm though, barely bating an eye as her tail curled around in front of Helaena.

Everyone else took a step back as the green dragon growled, nostrils flaring. Jacaerys didn’t move. His lips twitching as he smothered a scowl. Eyes narrowed just the same, nostrils flaring. A mirror of his dragon’s expression.

"Careful with your words, Alicent," Rhaenyra drawled, chuckling as she surveyed her son. A hand rose to her face, fingers grazing over her lips, "A dragon will protect its chosen mate quite fiercely.”

“Enough!" Viserys shouted, hands waving.

Huffing, Vermax lowered his head, shoulders rising up as his next screech skittered over the air. A command from Jacaerys had him backing down though. Wing lowering, drawing back to his body. Slowly.

The king blew out a breath, cane snapping against the ground, "We will wait..." His gaze settled heavily on Aegon, "See if this... magic, took root." Aegon flushed and Viserys nodded, "We'll deal with the rest of it after that."

-.-.-

Jacaerys dragged Aegon into his chambers, pushing his uncle against the wall with a firm hand. Fingers spread over Aegon's chest as he hissed, "Why would you say that?"

Brow arching up, Aegon hummed, "Say what?" Jacaerys growled, lips curling back. Aegon laughed, eyebrows wiggling, "Been spending too much time with Vermax have we?"

The kiss was harsh. More teeth then tongue. Aegon moaned at the invasion, hands curling into the dark curls sticking to his lover's neck. His legs were pulled up and Aegon found himself pinned against the wall, his only support the firm body pressed against him.

"I'm not taking another!" Jacaerys said shortly, moving to Aegon's neck. He sucked a harsh mark into the pale flesh there. Teeth sinking into his skin a moment later.

Aegon groaned, back arching off the wall. He writhed against Jacaerys. A stiff cock pushed against his cheeks through their clothes.

"Fuck the succession!” Jacaerys snarled. He claimed Aegon’s mouth again, inhaling sharply, “I want you. Just you. Only you."

The words were like a mantra and Jacaerys repeated them as he stripped Aegon, hands rough as he yanked fabric off. Warmth consumed him. Aegon would’ve sworn he was boiling from the inside out, his gut twisting with every word from his lover’s lips.

His eyes rolled back into his head as Jacaerys breached him without warning. Rim burning as Jacaerys pushed in. The only lubricant between their skin the cum Jacaerys had left from their last bout on Sunfyre.

"You're mine," Jacaerys growled against his cheek. Teeth scrapped over his jaw. Aegon moaned, mind hazy as he struggled to catch his breath. His eyes half lidded as Jacaerys kissed him, over and over. Vicious. Demanding.

An unending onslaught of desperate affection.

His nephew's dark eyes were shimmering with gold, as bright as Sunfyre's scales as Aegon stared into them. He dropped his hands from Jacaerys’ hair to cup his face.

"And you're mine," Aegon repeated his words back to him, holding their faces together. Jacaerys slowed, hips rocking upward in a measured rhythm as Aegon peppered his face with kisses. "All of you. Only mine."

“Exactly,” Jacaerys whined, eyes closing as Aegon dragging his head up to kiss him. “Just us.” Jacaerys sucked on his bottom lip. He mouthed at Aegon’s jaw, “No one else.”

A sharp nod from Aegon and their mouths met again with a fierce determination. This kiss had less teeth than the last, but it was just as intense. Just as ferocious.

When they finally arrived for breakfast in the main hall sometime later, Aegon's lips were faintly purple and he whined the first time he pressed a goblet to the sensitive muscle.

Just like he had when he sat down.

Grinning, Jacaerys surveyed his husband over the rim of his own cup. One eyebrow quirked.

"Something the matter, love?" Jacaerys chuckled, licking his lips.

Aegon shoved his shoulder. He flushed when Jacaerys brushed his fingers over Aegon’s throat. Knuckles grazing over the bruises dotting the long column of flesh. Aegon had never seen him grin quite so wide before.

The rest of the table sat in awkward silence, exchanging glances over their half-eaten meals.

Chapter Text

Aegon being bound to Jace hadn't changed a significant amount of things in his life. Possibly because he'd avoided his mother as well as he could, which, after years of practice, was fairly well. It was a challenge made easier by the fact that Rhaenyra hadn't protested when Jace had moved Aegon into his chambers.

That method did not work with his father unfortunately.

"The king would like to speak with Prince Aegon," Ser Harrold stood in the doorway, face completely neutral and gaze focused wholly on the wall. Which, fair, but still.

"I'm wearing pants," Aegon rolled his eyes and stood from the couch as Lucerys choked on his drink a few feet away. He paused by the commander of the kingsguard, "That was one time."

The gaze lowered, eyes narrowed, "Window." Lucerys was coughing now. Jace chuckled.

"He's got you there, Egg," Jace offered with a shrug. Aegon hummed and passed by the knight with his own shrug.

Lucerys recovered, voice practically shrieking, "How can you find that attractive?"

"Obviously you never looked up when he was in the window," Jace responded, sending his brother sputtering. Aegon smirked and his chest warmed at the echoes of Jace's laughter that drifted behind them.

Beside him, he thought he heard Ser Harrold sigh with exasperation. When he looked, the neutral expression was firmly in place though.

"Did the king happen to mention what this was about?" Aegon asked as they walked through the tall corridors of Dragonstone. Dark stone rose up like a mirror all around them.

"He did not," Ser Harrold was gruff, arms still at his side. His gaze flicked towards Aegon briefly. He caught the bite of the prince's bottom lips, the furrow of his brow. "The royal household will be sailing back to King's Landing in a day or so. Perhaps the king wishes to discover if you will be returning with us, or remaining on Dragonstone with your new..."

"I believe husband is the closest term, in the common tongue," Aegon filled in, throat bobbing. He nodded slowly to himself at the knight's words. The man did not follow him as Aegon pushed on the door of his father's temporary chambers.

Viserys sat alone in the outer room, lounging in a chair at the desk near a window that overlooked the dragon stables. He beckoned Aegon closer when he looked up.

"We have much to discuss," Viserys sighed, hands grasping the arms of his chair firmly. He nodded to another chair beside the desk, "Sit."

With a quick bow, Aegon did just that. He sunk into the wooden frame, "What's this about?"

A wrinkled eyebrow arched, "You need to ask?" Aegon shrugged, head tilting to the side. His smile was forced. Viserys huffed, "Your... marriage, with Jacaerys." Aegon hummed. "You intend to see this through then?"

"Til I'm dead," Aegon drawled, propping up his elbow on the desk. He met his father's gaze with lidded eyes, "I was led to believe that's how marriages, Valyrian ones especially, generally work."

"Yes." Viserys cleared his throat. He shuffled. Aegon was not ashamed to say that he got a slight thrill at how uncomfortable his father was with this topic. "This will cause some complications. With the great lords."

Aegon snorted, "I assure you, it solves significantly more. Less uncertainty around the succession for one." The frown that pulled on Viserys' face had Aegon leaning back in his chair. He crossed his arms, "Oh, did you really think everyone was going to bend the knee to Rhaenyra?"

"Not without some... assurances, from you, no," Viserys rubbed at his temple. Aegon raised a brow.

"Then you're an idiot. I could swear up and down Westeros to serve Rhaenyra and there would still be lords rallying to install me in her place." Viserys paled at Aegon's sharp words. He leaned forward, sneering at his father, "Your Hand being one of them, I might add."

That got a proper reaction. Viserys slammed a hand on the table. Aegon pulled away. He turned his head as Viserys stood, "Don't be petulant."

"I'm being realistic!" Aegon snapped back. Standing as well. Viserys slapped him.

The room went still. Aegon took a breath, eyes locked on the floor. Viserys swore and sunk back into his chair. He dropped his head into his hands.

Apologies weren't particularly kingly and Aegon didn't expect one. He took a step away, leaning against the wall a few paces from the desk.

"You truly believe they will challenge Rhaenyra?" Viserys asked, looking up at his son with sullen eyes.

Aegon shrugged, "They already do."

"You believe your marriage will stop that then?" Viserys turned in his seat. His gaze was hard.

"I believe tying myself to Jace ensures I will never be asked to wear the crown," Aegon answered with a quirk of his head.

Viserys startled, chin rising, "And that's what you care about? Never wearing the crown?"

"I care about Jace," Aegon snapped, straightening as his forehead creased, "I love him. And if there's war, he'll be in danger."

Silence reigned again. Viserys just stared at him. His father opened his mouth to speak several times. Nothing came of it.

"All I want out of life is to drink, to fuck, and to ride Sunfyre until I die. Preferably not at the end of a sword," Aegon sighed. He pushed a hand through his hair, shuffling his feet as Viserys continued to watch him.

A laugh rose up, spilling from Viserys with a shake of his head. "You want my brother's life," Viserys told him, lips twitching into a smile, "A life Daemon has never found fulfilling I might add."

"Yes, well, Daemon's a twat," Aegon emphasized his words with a quick rise of his eyebrows. His lips twitched up as Viserys laughed.

"I will send word of your nuptials to the lords," Viserys spoke after a moment, voice lighter, "You will remain here on Dragonstone." His gaze dropped to Aegon's abdomen, "If you want this plan of yours to work though, you'll have to come to King's Landing eventually."

Aegon colored, his face going bright red as his eyes widened, "How many witnesses?"

"As many as it takes to ensure you'll be believed," Viserys told him, hands clasping his arm chair to push himself up. He rose, taking slow steps towards Aegon.

The hand wasn't gentle as it held his chin, but it wasn't rough either.

"You've lashed yourself to your nephew, regardless of the results, you need to be prepared for the consequences."

Throat bobbing, Aegon nodded sharply. His father dropped his chin.

Viserys shuffled away, hand waving towards the door, "Go. Try not to give me any more headaches."

-.-.-

"Jacaerys," Laenor greeted his son with a raised brow as he strolled into the dragon stables. He did not make a move towards a sleeping Seasmoke. Instead, his father paused beside the stable holding Vermax.

Hand on the straps of the saddle, Jacaerys released the tension. The saddle slid off. Vermax gave a shake, snout huffing as Jacaerys grunted under the weight of the large leather saddle.

"Your mother thinks it best I be the one to speak with you," Laenor broached the topic with a twitch of his lips. He leaned against the stone archway of the stable, arms crossing.

"Why?" Jacaerys narrowed his eyes and hefted the saddle onto the bar where it was stored alongside the reigns and ropes that matched it. "If we're being honest, she's the one who shares my taste in men, not you."

Laenor laughed, head ducking low, "Yes, I believe that would be exactly why she thought it should be me." He arched a brow, "She knew you would bring that up."

"We're Targaryens," Jacaerys reasoned, turning his head to meet his father's gaze, "I don't understand the issue. Mother tried to bethroth me to Helaena only a few years ago."

"Helaena's a woman," Laenor shrugged, lips twitching into a frown.

"That won't matter," Jacaerys crossed his arms. His jaw clenched, "He's a dragonrider. The blood magic will work."

With lips pressed firmly together, Laenor nodded. Jacaerys reached for the cleaning brush. Laenor cleared his throat, "But what if it doesn't?"

"I have two brothers," Jacaerys huffed, nostrils flaring. He glared at the ground, "Aegon as well really. The line of succession is secure."

"Combining the lines though," Laenor hummed, head tilting, "Only works if it's you and it's Aegon."

Jacaerys nodded sharply, eyes rising once more, "It will work." His mind turned to the way Aegon responded in his bed, how sensitive he was to touch now. Jacaerys breathed out, "It did work. I'm certain."

With a final nod, Laenor pushed off from the arch. He smiled, almost sad, "I sincerely hope so, Jace, for your sake. And Aegon's."

When Sunfyre landed in the stable a while later, Jacaeyrs was waiting. Aegon grinned when he moved to climb up behind him.

"Miss me?" Aegon teased as they took to the air again. He let Sunfyre take the lead as Jacaerys began kissing at his neck. With a breathy moan, he sunk back into his nephew's chest, "Jace?"

"You're mine," Jacaerys breathed out, hands shoving at the laces of Aegon's breeches. He pressed two fingers against Aegon's lips, "Nothing and no one is going to take you from me."

Aegon nodded mutely, tongue sliding over the fingers as he sucked them down. He shuddered a moment later when they were pulled away and pushed against his hole.

In his arms, taking his cock, Aegon almost seemed to glow. A silver-gold shimmer that wrapped around his whole body as he gasped and moaned. Aegon made a noise at every movement, at every thrust, at every bounce. His head tossed back against Jacaerys' shoulder, mouth open in ecstacy. It was the most gorgeous sight Jacaerys had ever seen.

They were flying low over the water. Sunfyre skimmed his tail along the surface as he kept them steady.

Jacaerys ran a hand over Aegon's stomach as they came down from their last climax. The skin was warm beneath his palm. Aegon hummed at the touch, back arching.

"Imagining me pregnant?" Aegon asked. Jacaerys kissed his cheek.

"I don't think I'm imagining anything," Jacaerys told him before letting his hand wander lower.

Chapter Text

Nothing, absolutely nothing, was worse than being sick. Milk of the poppy can help you forget a stab wound, but it didn't help rid you of the taste of vomit. Not that anyone was willing to give him milk of the poppy.

Aegon was being forced to suffer his breakfast a second time for the fourth day in a row.

"It's actually quite normal," Rhaenyra was laughing at him from the couch. He looked up from his position on the floor, curled up with a literal bucket in the corner. The glare was ineffective. His sister just smiled, "One of the joys of pregnancy unfortunately."

"Will it go away?" Aegon groaned, head bowing as he dry heaved into the bucket. His stomach was empty. It had nothing to torture him with, but it continued to try.

"Depends," Rhaenyra stood. She crossed the room and knelt beside him. A hand, cold and gentle, pushed his hair away from his face. "With Joffrey it lasted most of my pregnancy. With Jace and Luke, only a few months." Aegon groaned. Rhaenyra rubbed a hand down his arm, "Perhaps being male will work in your favor. It might be less intense for you."

Tilting his head, Aegon focused as much energy as he could into a withering stare. Rhaenyra didn't even twitch. He huffed, "That is *highly* unlikely."

"Alright," Rhaenyra hummed. She ruffled his hair, "You're going to suffer. Get use to it." He chuckled at that, head shaking.

Rhaenyra stood again. She poured him some water and forced the goblet into his hand. Aegon took it with a whine.

"Drink it, you'll thank me later."

He was quite positive he wouldn't, regardless of if she deserved it, but Aegon drank the water. He drank it slowly. His eyes fluttered as it dropped, more like a stone than a sip of water, into his empty stomach.

Aegon would *definitely* not be thanking Rhaenyra. He set the goblet down and wrapped his arms around the bucket as he heaved again, decidedly more wet than last time.

Somewhere, probably eating a delicious breakfast in King's Landing that wouldnt be coming back up, Aegon imagined his brother was feeling some sort of spiteful joy.

Aemond had been quite pleased to mock him once all the information had been provided in regards to his relationship with Jacaerys. A significant amount of amusement was had that Aegon would be spending the next tourney confined to a birthing bed.

Yet another example of Aemond being a twat.

"Is there anything I can do?" Jace hovered about more often than not. Wringing his hands and biting his lip as Aegon refused his assistance.

"Go to your lessons, you're already late," Aegon leaned back into his corner. His eyes squeezed shut. "That stupid maester already thinks I'm a corrupting influence."

"In his defense, he has walked in on you pleasuring my son during his lessons twice already," Rhaenyra drawled, arms crossing. Jace had the good sense to cough, blush, and make a hasty retreat.

No one has ever accused Aegon of having good sense.

"In my defense, I'm attempting to secure your line of succession here," Aegon gestured down at his abdomen.

The rounding below his stomach was minimal, but the maester had confirmed there was a heartbeat just a few days earlier. A fact that had been shared with the whole of Westeros by this point.

Rhaenyra dropped her chin, eyes narrowing. Aegon pouted. He rolled his neck, pressing his cheek into his shoulder. Breathing slowly, he mumbled, "I could be worse."

"I am aware," Rhaenyra shook her head, "The pregnancy is slowing you down. I'm surprised you haven't consummated your relationship in every room of Dragonstone at this point."

Smirking, Aegon lifted his head, "How do you know we haven't?"

"Drink your water," Rhaenyra ignored him and pointed at the goblet at his side. "Finish that and I'll help you to Sunfyre." Aegon perked up and her lips twitched, "Sitting with Syrax always helped me."

This suggestion did deserve gratitude. Aegon showed it by ignoring Rhaenyra's question when his sister brought up whether he wanted to be formally recognized as part of House Velaryon.

Apparently that had not been an errant curiosity however. Meleys circled the dragon stables from the air as Aegon sunk into Sunfyre's nest. His dragon curled around him and Aegon let his eyes close in some semblance of rest.

Sleep didn't come. He listened instead, as the melodic tones of Rhaenys Targaryen and the deep timber of Corlys Velaryon rose on the wind. Rhaenyra greeted them properly, in Old Valyrian.

"It's true then," Rhaeyns quipped, her voice much closer than the others. Sunfyre didn't shift, though Aegon could feel his chest rumbling beneath his back. "Jacaerys has taken Aegon as a concubine?"

"He has," Rhaenyra spoke firmly. He appreciated the lack of tremor. Aegon doubted he could manage such a thing with Corlys Velaryon looking at him.

The man was fiercesome. A fighter in every way. Aegon's short time in the Stepstones had birthed a strong respect, and a little fear, for the sailor.

"And he carries a child?" Corlys drawled, skepticism dripped from his words. Aegon frowned. He kept his eyes closed.

Rhaenyra answered in the same voice as before, "Confirmed by a maester. The heartbeat is strong."

"How is that possible?" The rumble of Corlys' voice was joined with shuffling that Aegon suspected was the man gesturing, wildly. Jace was like that, expressive when he talked. A Velaryon trait then, as Targaryens were masters of repression.

A chime of laughter not so far from him had Aegon stiffening. Rhaenys didn't reach out to touch him, but Aegon felt her heavy gaze, "Why don't you answer that yourself, Prince Aegon?"

"Surely I don't have to explain the mechanics of sex to you, Princess Rhaenys?" Aegon let his eyes drift open. He looked through his lashes at the woman's refined face, features slim and long, much like his own.

Corlys snorted, his arms crossed, "Perhaps you do, if men are able to carry children now."

"Blood magic," Rhaenyra cut him off before Aegon could make any sort of remark. "Aegon is a dragonrider. Apparently, that allows for certain... bending of the rules, for our bloodline."

Their gazes remained on Rhaenyra. A glimmer of familiarity appeared in Rhaenys' eyes, but the creases on Corlys' forehead remained deep.

"Once we were bound by blood, Jace fucking me on a dragon did the trick," Aegon summarized, lifting his head from Sunfyre's scales to grin at Corlys. "That enough information?"

The man scowled, but his lips twitched upwards. A clipped nod later and he was looking at Rhaenyra, "They'll be Velaryons then, like Jacaerys."

Rhaenys rolled her eyes and turned to face Aegon properly. Her gaze lingered on his face, focused, knowing.

"A light broth for breakfast, and no bread," Rhaenys said simply. Aegon blinked. She arched a brow, "For the morning sickness."

Aegon flushed, head ducking as he mumbled, "Right. Thank you." Rhaenys turned back to her husband then. Her steps were light. Aegon closed his eyes again.

"Jace is a Velaryon, like his father, his name should continue forward," Corlys' voice carried even as the three of them walked away.

"We'll have to speak to the king. Aegon is his son. We had not... negotiated any terms, before the wedding."

Dinner that night would, doubtlelessly, be just as entertaining as any Targaryen affair. The chances of a death were likely lower though.

-.-.-

The door of their mother's chamber slammed and Aemond did not rise from his seat by the fire. His grandfather's gaze barely paused on his chair, not noticing him at all, before he approached his mother.

"How could you let this happen?" Otto Hightower seethed, heavy brows drawn low, "Aegon? A concubine?!"

"I hardly let him do anything!" Alicent snapped, hands twisting together.

That hardly stopped his grandfather's ire. The man scoffed, hand gripping at the back of a chair, "You have been too soft-handed with him. Spoiling him! And now, now he may never be king!"

"His claim is the same as it was before," Alicent raised her chin, eyes narrowing, "He is the first born son of the king."

"He is the pregnant whore of a bastard," Otto snapped. He held out a letter, "Viserys has announced it to the whole of Westeros. The joining of his son and his grandson, a merging of the bloodlines. A miracle of Old Valyria."

The words were said with a hauty sarcasm. The Hand of the King, normally so eloquent, cursed colorfully as he paced the room.

"The boy can never come back from this. Even if we were able to discredit such a thing," Otto was muttering, his head shaking, "And if he births the child? The realm will not see him any differently than Rhaenyra. A son in name, maybe, but there will be whispers about what you've been hiding in his trousers."

His mother hissed, "That's ridiculous!" She was shaking her head. Aemond raised a brow. "He's a man, he's been in battle, he's-"

"About to birth his nephew's child," Otto cut in, voice short, "He and that child, if it even exists, are abominations."

"They're dragons," Aemond spoke up. Both of them startled as he rose from his seat. "We're Targaryens," Aemond stalked forward, eyes narrowing, "I wouldn't expect either of you to understand that."

Their faces contorted. Aemond smirked, head tilting as his mother sputtered out about respect and his grandfather's chest puffed out.

"Your narrow-mindedness will be your downfall. Aegon's child will be a continuation of your blood as well." Aemond told them plainly, moving towards the door. He paused, not looking back, "And if you continue to disparage my brother, I will cut your tongues out myself."

The room went silent and Aemond left. One of the knights of the Kingsguard that waited in the hallway followed him as he walked. The one that remained was his mother's sworn protector. Cole.

Frowning, Aemond walked towards his father's chambers. There were too many enemies in King's Landing, too many unstable allies.

"Aemond? What are you doing here?" His father looked up from his model, eyebrow arching.

"Can I assume that your stance regarding voicing vile rumors about my nephews' parentage can be extended to Aegon's child?" Aemond asked in a hum, gaze drifting over the room to watch the reactions of the knights and servants present.

The models clattered on the desk.

"What have you heard?" Viserys sighed.

"I've just come from mother's, so, quite a lot actually," Aemond offered with a tight smile. His father paled.

Here it was, the moment Aemond hated, when his brother had proven to be less short-sighted than their father. Again. Seven Hells did he hate admitting Aegon had a point, about anything.

"If you'd like to prevent a war, I'd suggest you start dealing with those who would challenge Rhaenyra's claim, Jacaerys' claim, now, before they can take root," Aemond advised him, head tilting to the side. "Or is the Hand of the King not meant to be loyal to House Targaryen, above all else?"

-.-.-

"Oh, for fucks' sake," Aegon growled, eyes locked on Rhaenyra as he shook his head, "*You're not even a Targaryen anymore.*"

The room went quiet. Rhaenyra narrowed her eyes, lips pursed. Aegon huffed out a breath and leaned back in his chair.

"You and father will both have to face the fact that the Targaryen dynasty ends with him, or you if you're set on being stubborn," Aegon pressed a hand to the table, chin dropping as he repeated what Corlys had said with significantly more tact earlier. "We'll be the Velaryon dynasty. Jace. The baby. It makes no sense for them to have the Targaryen name."

"When I married, the contract clearly stated that my first born child's name would revert to Targaryen when they took the throne. Jace will be a Targaryen king."

Aegon rolled his eyes at Rhaenyra, "Unless you're planning on having a very short reign, Jace will hold the Velaryon name for significantly longer. Having him take Targaryen at the end of his life will just be confusing."

How he'd ended up arguing the Velaryon point of view, Aegon wasn't quite sure. The actual Velaryons were all watching him and Rhaenyra snipe back and forth now. Corlys was sitting a few seats away, entirely too smug for anyone to be comfortable with.

"Why doesn't Jace just pick then?" Lucerys cut in, raising his fork in the air as he asked the question. Aegon felt the hand on his thigh stiffen.

"Yes, Jacaerys," Rhaenys raised a brow, wine goblet in hand, "You've been quiet throughout this whole discussion."

Laenor snorted into his cup, "Haven't we all?" He looked pointedly at his father, "It can be rather difficult to get a word in sometimes."

"Well?" Rhaenyra's eyes widened slightly, her lips pressed firmly together as Jace remained quiet.

"I think..." the hand on his thigh squeezed lightly, "...this discussion is one that involves more than just those who are present. We ought to table it till we can have all parties present."

It was a diplomatic answer. One that had Rhaenyra pursing her lips further and Corlys grumbling. Rhaenys smirked, sipping her wine.

"Yes, perhaps you ought to wait till the baby is born," Laenor toasted vaguely in their direction, "Let the child decide whether it wants to be a dragon or a sea horse."

"If you think about it," Aegon dropped his hand to his lap, lacing his fingers with Jace's as he spoke, "A sea horse is basically just a dragon in the ocean."

Corlys grinned as both Rhaenys and Rhaenyra startled. His booming laughter broke the ensueing silence and Jace let out a slow breath as the conversation finally turned to when Lucerys would sail with Corlys next.

"You don't know what you want your house name to be do you?" Aegon asked later when they'd retire to bed, his head cushioned on his lover's shoulder.

Jacaerys blew out a breath. His fingers stroked gently over Aegon's back, through his hair. He turned his head, voice a whisper, "It's complicated."

"Because of your father?" Aegon pushed up. He propped himself up on one arm, the other tossed over Jace's bare chest. Dark eyes looked up at him, lips pursed. "You have every right to the Velaryon name. Both Corlys and Laenor certainly seem to think so."

"Dragons conquered Westeros, not sea horses," Jace wrinkled his nose as he repeated his grandmother's words. Both the Velaryons by marriage, the Targaryens by blood, had been the ones most adamant that their child be a Targaryen. That was the bloodline that mattered, as Rhaenyra had said. It was why they'd both been able to keep their last name, unlike most noble women.

Aegon arched a brow, "We haven't conquered Dorne yet." He ducked his head, pressing a kiss to the shoulder he'd been using as a pillow. "It's your name. You should decide, like Luke said."

"You don't want the baby to carry your name?" Jace asked, eyes flicking down to his abdomen with a smile. A hand stroked over the warm skin and Aegon shivered at the touch.

"I would rather like to simply occupy your bed for eternity and let everyone forget I ever existed," Aegon huffed out, pressing his forehead into his husband's skin. Jace was always warmer than him. Like Sunfyre, and Vermax. Valyrian features or not, silver hair or not, Jace was, without a doubt, the most dragon-like of the two of them.

Eyes fluttering closed, Aegon pressed his whole body against Jace's side. The younger man curled fingers into his messy hair, "You're not someone easily forgotten."

It was whispered against his forehead. Aegon sighed, smiling softly as Jace began to pepper his face with kisses.

"I'm not opposed to keeping you in my bed though," Jace laughed before capturing his lips. Aegon melted into Jace as their mouths met. He moaned, pressing down with force as teeth scrapped over his bottom lip.

"Your bed, your table, your dragon, your ship," Aegon listed out, climbing on top of Jace as he gasped the words , "Hell, you can fuck me on the Iron Throne or the floor for all I care. Just so long as you never stop touching me."

Lips moved to his throat and Aegon rocked his hips. Jace was moaning beneath him, words slurring together as he kissed and nipped and worshiped Aegon's flesh. Each touch almost burning as he promised not to stop.

"Jace~" Aegon breathed out, burying his fingers in dark hair. It tickled his nose as he ducked his head. "I love you," Aegon groaned. The grip on his thighs was nearly bruising as Jace looked up at him.

"Do you realize you married me before you told me you love me?" Jace nearly folded himself in half to press his lips to the rounded portion of his abdomen, "You took my seed, carry my child." Aegon flushed, his body tingled at the reminder.

"Is that your way of telling me you already knew?" Aegon choked out as blazing eyes rose up to hold his gaze. A golden hue wrapped the dark irises as Jace pressed another kiss to his sternum before capturing Aegon's mouth.

Breathing out slow, their foreheads touching, Jace held Aegon on top of him. Hands trailed over his side, grazing over pale skin. He hummed, "That's my way of saying I didn't think you'd ever say it."

"I wanted to," Aegon swallowed, eyes closing. "Every time you said it I... I thought it." Jace hummed again. "You knew, right?"

Jace chuckled, nuzzling their noses together, "Yeah. I knew." He nudged Aegon softly, til long lashes fluttered open and Aegon's gaze rose to meet his. Aegon slid a hand between them, pushing fabric aside until he had them both between his fingers. Voice thick, Jace gasped out, "Show me what you want."

Chapter 6

Summary:

A brief interlude from plot for smut. Tiny bit of plot. Like, if you're *really* paying attention, but yeah... Smut. Little fluff. Enjoy. (And check the tags... because these two are kinkier than I expected for this fic and I raised the rating accordingly.)

Chapter Text

When Jacaerys entered his chambers, he found Aegon flung out across their bed. He paused at the doorway that separated the receiving room from their bedchamber. Silver hair was splayed out across the red sheets. Pale skin practically glowed in the candlelight. He wondered vaguely if their child would have the Targaryen features that were so evident in his husband.

"You're going to be a daddy's girl aren't you? Follow him around and be an absolute terror when he's not around." Aegon was talking lightly, a near whisper that Jacaerys only heard as he drew closer. He wasn't the only one thinking about their child's future then. A smile adorned Aegon's face as his hand stroked over the bump now visible in his abdomen. "That's why you won't let me sleep when he's not here, isn't it? Why you keep kicking me, my stubborn girl?"

"You're that certain it will be a girl?" Jacaerys spoke up, stepping into the bedchamber properly. Aegon startled. He winced slightly, hand going to his back, as he jolted upwards. Jacaerys stripped off his cloak and toed off his shoes before slipping onto the bed.

Aegon hummed when Jacaerys pulled him into his chest, fingers twisting through silver hair as Jacaerys ducked his head to kiss him. It was not a soft kiss. Jacaerys devoured him, teeth scrapping over his lips, tongue pushing deeper.

A moan was ripped from his throat and Aegon was left gasping for breath when Jacaerys pulled away. Aegon licked his lips before finally answering, "As certain as I am she's already got a favorite and it isn't me."

Grinning, Jacaerys laid a hand over his pregnant belly. His other arm remained around Aegon as he leaned back into the mattress.

"She's very... particular," Aegon huffed, pressing his face into Jacaerys chest. His nose bumped into a clasp at the top of Jacaerys doublet and he reached up to open it. "Or maybe it's whatever magic it is that's created her. Requiring us to maintain proximity."

Once their skin was touching, Aegon sighed. He nuzzled against the now bare collarbone. Jacaerys slipped his hand beneath the thin tunic covering Aegon's body. That contact sent a shiver down his spine and Aegon arched against him. It was certainly true that his responsiveness had skyrocketed since becoming pregnant. Not that Jacaerys minded that at all.

"Are you blaming the baby for why you're so horny all the time?" Jacaerys chuckled as his hand moved up from the bump. Aegon moaned when his fingers brushed over his nipples. They were both attentive to Jacaerys' touch, still discolored from earlier attention.

"She's definitely the reason my chest is so sensitive," Aegon huffed out, forehead creasing. He panted as Jacaerys flicked a nipple with his thumb. "Could you..." Aegon's face was pink. Jacaerys could feel the warmth of his blush against his own skin.

Jacaerys grinned and kissed the top of his head. Aegon hummed, lips twitching up into a smile. With one hand, Jacaerys pulled Aegon's top completely off. With the other, he pushed his pants down. Beneath his swollen belly, Aegon was already hard.

Pressing him onto his back again, Jacaerys straddled his husband's thighs. There was a tremble that ran through Aegon. Muscles twitching.

"I swear it feels like my every bone is trying to escape my body," Aegon whined, twisting in the sheets. His back arched the second Jacaerys lowered his hands to trail his fingers upwards over his hips. He huffed, eyes squeezing shut, "More. Now."

"Give me a second," Jacaerys chuckled and stripped off his doublet and the tunic underneath. He leaned forward then, pressing his lips lightly to the top of Aegon's belly. His mouth moved forward as his fingers danced over his sides in uneven circles.

"Gods!" Aegon moaned as Jacaerys mouthed at his nipple. His hand snapped up, fingers sinking into dark hair, "The only time they don't ache is when you do this." Jacaerys hummed, tongue swirling. A hand rose up, palming at Aegon's chest, pressing firmly at spots where his touch had Aegon twitching.

Tongue flicking over the bud of the nipple in his mouth, Jacaerys watched through his lashes as Aegon reacted. Panting, back arching, eyes fluttering and hazy with want. His cock was leaking too, precum smearing over both of their stomachs. Jacaerys had learned in the last month that his husband could be reduced to a puddle of want with just this, just his mouth.

"You know what this makes me think of?" Jacaerys asked, voice husky as he moved to the other nipple. Aegon moaned again, eyes squeezing shut.

"I swear if you say-"

"Maester said it might be possible," Jacaerys chuckled, moving up briefly to press a quick kiss to Aegon's cheek.

He ducked his head again. Sucking greedily, Jacaerys continued to flick his tongue over the nipple. Twisting, flicking, every touch sending shock waves through Aegon's body. Jacaerys reveled in every reaction.

Aegon groaned, bucking upwards as he panted, "Noble women don't breastfeed, so even if it did happen, I'm not doing it."

"I didn't say I wanted you to feed the baby," Jacaerys pulled off. He blew a breath over the moist nipple and Aegon's eye rolled back as he climaxed. He coated the bottom of his belly, and Jacaerys', along with his thighs. Neither of them bothered to clean it as Jacaerys continued to nip and suck at the skin of Aegon's chest.

"And you called me horny?" Aegon breathed out, running his hand down the side of Jacaerys' face and neck to his chest. His fingers splayed out as he pressed his palm to his lover's sternum, "My chest is still just as flat as yours, Jace."

"You have a baby growing in your body, in a womb that didn't exist seven months ago," Jacaerys drawled, lowering his head to kiss Aegon's belly again.

Rolling his eyes, Aegon flung his head back. His hair stuck to his neck, to his face. His heart was still pounding. The ache was returning to his joints. It didn't matter that Jacaerys was practically sitting in his lap. the skin contact had slipped away as Jacaerys had risen from his chest.

"If you fuck me right now, I'll let you pretend either way," Aegon raised his hand to Jacaerys' face. His thumb pressed into the plump bottom lip, "I might even sit in your lap and warm your cock while you do it."

Eyes closed, Aegon didn't see the way Jacaerys' nostrils flared or his pupils dilated. He didn't need to either. He smirked as Jacaerys moved to climb off of him. The brief lack of contact would be worth it.

"Turn over," Jacaerys ordered, voice thick. Aegon kicked his pants off the rest of the way. He rolled onto his front, pushing on to his hands and knees as Jacaerys took off the rest of his clothes. His knees sunk into the mattress and his fingers twisted in the sheets. The air was cool, like icy as it touched his burning skin.

Aegon keened as a hand ghosted over his ass. The hand settled at his waist a moment before Jacaerys moved on top of him. Back to chest, skin to skin, Aegon let out a gasping plea, "Fuck, Jace, please touch me."

"I love when you beg for me," Jacaerys chuckled in his ear, nuzzling at his jaw as he moved around him. Legs, arms, Jacaerys ensured every bit of his body was touching Aegon. His cock pressed between his cheeks. It earned him a contented sigh. Aegon smiled.

The hand at his waist moved forward, palm resting at the front of his belly, and Aegon wiggled his ass. Jacaerys groaned.

Nipping lightly at Aegon's neck, Jacaerys rubbed lightly over the stretched flesh beneath his palm. Aegon sighed again, neck arching. His hair fell forward. He didn't bother to bat it away. It stuck to his skin either way, plastering to his face as Aegon continued to move against Jacaerys.

Jacaery grunted, jaw clenching. His hips bucking forward as Aegon rolled his hips, "Maybe you're right." His cock throbbed. His other hand slid between them. Aegon's hole was still loose from that morning. He pushed a single finger in with no resistance. "Maybe it's the magic, or maybe I just really like seeing you pregnant, but there's not a minute that goes by I don't think of being buried inside you."

"Then do it," Aegon demanded, whining as the second finger skimmed over his rim, "We both know I don't need you to prep me again." The oil they kept beside the bed was quickly spread over his cock and then Jacaerys sunk into Aegon.

Aegon moaned, pushing back against him. The hand on his stomach never moved. The other danced over his chest, thumb pressing into bruised nipples. Overstimulated, Aegon began to tremble. His arms shook. His cock twitched, growing hard again as Jacaerys thrust into him at a steady rhythm.

"You could..." Aegon bit out a moan, head thrown back against Jacaerys shoulder, "You could keep me this way." The next thrust came harder, pounding against Aegon's prostate. He gasped, "Keep me filled with your seed. Your own personal broodmare."

"And you make fun of my fantasy?" Jacaerys huffed out, laughing darkly as his hand slid from Aegon's chest down a shaking arm to the mattress. Aegon pulled his arms up in response, wrapping them backwards around Jacaerys' neck as the other man took their weight.

"You like it," Aegon teased as another moan fell from his lips, "You know you'll have me on dragonback again the second I'm recovered from giving birth." Jacaerys shushed him. Aegon smirked. He hadn't denied it.

The hand on his belly finally moved, trailing lower until Jacaerys took hold of Aegon's cock. If was still slick from his last climax and Jacaerys pumped his fist around it only twice before Aegon was spilling again. Screaming his name.

That had Jacaerys burying his face in Aegon's throat. His cock was milked by the clenching hole and he came without another thrust.

They stayed connected. Jacaerys maneuvered them onto their sides, Aegon cradled in his arms. Panting, eyes closed, neither of them noticed the faint glow of his bump as Jacaerys' hand returned to stroking over the skin. Aegon's seed smeared over the flesh.

"The king sent a raven," Jacaerys spoke after a while, breathing heavy still. Aegon hummed, nose wrinkling. "He wants to know when we're coming to King's Landing."

"I assume you bringing it up means Rhaenyra thinks we should go," Aegon huffed, turning his head to look at Jacaerys as their eyes opened. He nodded. "When?"

"The king wants now, my mother told him we'd arrive in two weeks, by dragonback." Jacaerys told him. He kissed him lightly, twice, before pulling away.

With a sigh, Aegon pressed their foreheads together. It was later than he'd expected. A kindness granted to him by his sister and her ability to mold their father's will to her side of an argument. Rhaenyra wouldn't be with them in King's Landing though. Not at first. Aegon groaned, "I think I need you to fuck me again."

Jacaerys snorted, shaking his head, though his cock was already growing thick inside Aegon's ass. He claimed his mouth, pushing his tongue deep, his lips bruising. Aegon moaned at the pressure, at the tongue slipping over the roof of his mouth.

"I think you just don't want to talk about what we'll do when we get to King's Landing," Jacaerys grazed a hand over Aegon's side as he rolled them both, lying flat on his back.

"Fuck!" Aegon gasped as the cock pushed deeper into him. His eyes fluttered, hips already moving. With a breathy moan, he responded, "I already know what we'll be doing in King's Landing."

Hands moving over his body, holding Aegon against his chest, Jacaerys hummed, "What's that?"

"This," Aegon said, emphasizing the word with a roll of his hips. Jacaerys bucked up. Aegon gasped. His lips stretched wide in a smile, "So, so much of this."

"Whatever you want," Jacaerys groaned, mouth hanging open as he panted against Aegon's neck.

Aegon clenched around him, smirking, "Careful, love, you know how greedy I am." Jacaerys just moaned, rutting up into him.

King's Landing was two weeks away, but Aegon suddenly found himself looking forward to it as Jacaerys came undone underneath him.

Chapter 7

Summary:

Plot returns! With a vengeance!

Notes:

I need you to know that I only opened the document to write a quick note about what I wanted to do with the next chapter, and then I just wrote the entire chapter instead.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Aegon stood on a balcony in one of Dragonstone's many towers. He watched the waves crashing against the beach, the ships rocking beside the docks. His hand stroked over his protruding belly.

His body seemed to constantly ache. Every joint, every muscle. Rhaenyra had said that wasn't abnormal, that the end of the pregnancy was the worst, it put the most strain on the body. Every Targaryen woman had continued riding their dragons well in to the final days of their pregnancy. Laena Velaryon as well, if the stories were true.

"Are you certain you won't consider riding with Jace?" Rhaenyra came up behind him, lips twisting down into a frown.

This was how he knew the way he winced with half his steps was not so normal.

"On Sunfyre's back is one of the few placest I'm actually still comfortable," Aegon reminded his sister, not turning his head from the view. "And if I have to go to King's Landing, I'll arrive under my own power."

At this, Rhaenyra stepped up beside him and pressed a hand to his arm lightly. She put no pressure behind it. Aegon appreciated that. "I understand. I've had a letter from Rhaenys. Corlys and Luke docked in King's Landing yesterday. She's flying Meleys over to meet them."

"Grandfather will hate that," Aegon grinned, eyes flicking over to Rhaenyra. Her forehead was creased in worry. "Don't fret. Aemond said he'll meet us in the dragon pit. Escort us to the Red Keep personally. We'll have plenty of support, should anything happen."

They simply wouldn't have Rhaenyra. Or the dragons, once they left the pit. The stables in the Red Keep were too small for Vermax and Sunfyre. Or, that was what the letter from his grandfather had said when they'd asked to land there instead of the pit.

"Do you think he'll be... happy?" Aegon asked, ducking his head as he whispered the words. His arms wrapped reflexively around his stomach. The baby gave a kick in response and he winced.

"Otto?" Rhaenyra wrinkled her nose, "I highly d-"

"No." Aegon shook his head. His eyes flicked up, looking at her through his lashes as his chin remained tucked against his chest, "The king."

"I... I don't know, honestly. His letters have seemed... positive enough, and he was always pleased to see me when I was with child. Reminded him of my mother, I think." Rhaenyra bit at her bottom lip as her eyes fell to his stomach. She reached out a hand, let it hover over the bump until Aegon nodded.

The baby stilled beneath her touch. His pain dulled, for just a moment. The warmth of Rhaenyra's touch was almost like ice to his burning flesh, even through his shirt and doublet.

"Jace says you think it's a girl," Rhaenyra hummed, smiling as the faint throb of a heartbeat filtered through to her hand.

"Yes," Aegon agreed, throat bobbing, "Didn't you? With your boys?"

Rhaenyra snorted, head shaking, "Oh, certainly, but it's not proper to go around declaring you're having a son. It's different, when it's a girl, I suppose."

"We'd thought to name her after Jace's grandmother," Aegon forced out, breathing slowly. He knew the second that it clicked in her head that he was not referring to Rhaenys. She stilled, eyes fluttering.

"That... could be seen, quite negatively, by certain parties at court," Rhaenyra withdrew her hand, speaking slowly. She held her hands in front of herself. Aegon swallowed as her eyes focused on him, "Your mother, I suspect, most of all."

Aegon didn't care much whether his mother liked the name. She hadn't spoken to him since he'd married Jace, since she'd come down to the beach. Aegon had avoided her, of course, but when she hadn't bothered to send a single raven in the last seven months... well, it was obvious he wasn't the only one avoiding someone.

"Father will like it," Rhaenyra offered, a smile twitching at her lips. "I'd guess that's why you picked it?"

Scoffing, Aegon shook his head, "It was Jace's idea, actually." He frowned down at the docks, eyes scanning the rocky coast beside them where the dragon stables were inlayed in to the cliffs. Rubbing absently at his stomach, "It feels like her name though."

"You'll know, when you see her the first time," Rhaenyra told him, reaching out her hand once more. She tucked a stray hair behind his ear.

"Are you okay with it though?" Aegon turned his head, meeting her eyes. "It's your mother's name. And I... well, I'm not..." he trailed off, sinking his teeth into his bottom lip.

Rhaenyra brushed a hand through his hair. He stilled beneath her touch. She took a breath, nodded, "Yes, I think I am. It's a good name. She was a good mother. Your daughter deserves to have something of her in her life."

Letting out a breath, Aegon turned back to the view. "Good. It would've been awkward if you hated it and I still named her that." Rhaenyra chuckled, leaning onto the railing for a moment as the wind picked up her laughter. It carried down to the stables, where the dragons were shrieking and their keepers were struggling to rein them in.

-.-.-

Vermax growled, jaw snapping at the keeper in front of him with the leather harnesses. Jacaerys walked over, hand moving to the green dragon's snout as he tried to sooth him. The soft words, spoken in High Valyrian, as he focused his eyes on Vermax did little to calm the beast.

"I don't want to go, so neither do you," Jacaerys admitted, sighing as Vermax snuffled. His gaze narrowed on the cases waiting to be strapped to his back. Jacaerys patted his head, "It's just the essentials, everything else is on a ship. Sunfyre will have Aegon."

He didn't have to say more. The dragon, with a final grumble, relaxed and allowed the keeper to secure the harnesses and strap the two small locked cases to his body. It would be the most Vermax had ever carried, even for such a short journey.

By rights, Jacaerys probably should've instructed the keepers to place them on Sunfyre, as they'd intitially planned. Every day though, Aegon grew paler, needier. Vermax understood his reasoning, his fear.

They craved each other constantly. He'd taken to studying the histories and traditions the maester suggested in his rooms. His touch one of the few balms for Aegon's constant pain. The only other, was Sunfyre. Something about the dragon's warmth. Vermax was more drawn to Aegon as well. His dragon would curl beside Sunfyre as Aegon laid on the golden dragon's scales.

Even Seasmoke and Syrax would draw nearer. Arrax too, before Lucerys had headed to Driftmark to sail with their grandfather.

"It'll be a short flight," Jacaerys promised, pressing his forehead to Vermax's scales. It would, unfortunately, not be a short visit. A quiet rumble from Vermax was the only response.

Jacaerys could feel his dragon's unease, a throbbing echo of his own. His chest tightened and he blew out a slow breath, eyes squeezing shut.

"Nearly ready?" Aegon called out as he entered the stables.

He'd borrowed one of Rhaenyra's riding leathers, one commissioned when she was pregnant. The leather was dyed red, with the central dragon of their house sigil painted black. It clashed horrendously with the sea green doublet he was wearing. A gift from Corlys. There were seahorses embroidered in silver thread along the collar and cuffs.

"Nearly," Jacaerys smiled, crossing over to Sunfyre to meet Aegon. He pulled him close. Their lips crashed together in a desperate kiss, Aegon clung to him, panting as he pressed himself closer. Jacaerys pulled away, breathing heavily, "Now we can go." Aegon chuckled and kissed his cheek before Jacaerys lent him an arm or two to climb onto Sunfyre.

-.-.-

Pacing got a bad wrap. There was a calming element, to the anxious habit. Aemond walked in measured steps, hands clasped behind his back. The dragon pit was large enough too that it was not immediately obvious to anyone that he was crossing it first one way and then the other.

Safyre, his dragon, was following behind him, marching almost. She gave quiet little shrieks each time he turned around and then scrambled to catch up as her wings tripped her up. The hatchling was only a year or so old now, just bigger than a hunting dog and barely able to fly above his head without crashing down.

"My prince, would it not be better to wait somewhere else? Perhaps at the keep?" The knight assigned to him sighed. He pinched his brow, trailing behind the dragon as the end to their pacing train. As he was not a member of the kingsguard, but of the City Watch, this particular knight was not familiar with Aemond's eccentricities.

"No," Aemond didn't pause in his steps. He did slow his next turn and pat Safyre's head when she matched his steps this time.

Two circuits later, there was a loud screech overhead, followed by a roar, and then finally a glint of gold in the sky. Aemond smirked, head shaking.

"Sunfyre is a showoff, try not to pick up any bad habits, hmm?" Aemond directed his words to his young dragon. Her eyes were trained on the golden scales of her elder though. The blue of her own scales reflected in Sunfyre's shine when the dragon landed right in front of them.

There was a gracefulness to Sunfyre that Aemond had happily mentioned was not reflected in his rider since they were children. Aegon didn't jump from his dragon once the creature had settled on the floor of the pit though. He looked up at his brother, eyes narrowing on his frizzy hair as he tried to make out Aegon's face.

Vermax landed beside them, the ground shaking. Aegon winced and held tightly to his saddle. Aemond frowned.

"Aemond," Jacaerys waved him over once he slid from Vermax. He was already striding towards Sunfyre's side. Aegon climbed from his dragon with great effort, face twisting in pain until Jacaerys wrapped one arm around his waist. Aemond was used vaguely like a crutch, helping his brother balance as he stumble to the ground on unsteady feet.

"Flying would be much more enjoyable if I never had to get off the dragon," Aegon grumbled, leaning heavily on Jacaerys as he took several steadying breaths. His face was red and his lips chapped. At first, Aemond thought it was from exertion, but the longer he stood beside his brother the more obvious the real reason became.

Safyre approached them, a trilling noise escaping her lips as she tilted her head. Without even a glance at Aemond or the other dragons, Safyre walked up to Aegon and started nuzzling at his belly.

Vermax and Sunfyre both reared their heads immediately, fangs barred as they ducked closer to encircle the three dragon riders between them. Both dragons watched Safyre closely. Jacaerys snapped a command at Vermax and then at Sunfyre. His arm slid from behind Aegon. He took one step closer to Vermax.

Snapping his jaw at the young blue dragon, Vermax slowly slunk back to his previous position. Sunfyre grumbled, a growl rising in his throat, but he settled.

Questions swirled in Aemond's mind as he watched it all unfold. His eyes fluttered as Sunfyre backed off, listening to a command from someone other than Aegon, even if reluctantly.

"They don't mean anything by it, Saf," Aegon hummed, patting Safyre's head softly as he smiled down at the dragon.

There was a chance Aemond was losing his mind.

The blue dragon nuzzled closer, chirping happily. Aemond starred down at the display. His eyes glued to the sight of his brother cradling his stomach, one hand resting against the head of Aemond's dragon.

There was surreal, and then there was whatever this was. Aemond couldn't be certain the gods weren't playing a trick on him. Perhaps the Stranger aimed to take his life by shocking him to death. That would make more sense than this.

Aegon nodded towards Vermax, straightening up as he looked at his husband with an arched brow. Jacaerys frowned. Aegon rolled his eyes, "I'll be fine. The dragon keepers won't be."

Jacaerys shifted from foot to foot for a moment, chewing on his bottom lip. Aegon raised both brows and he gave in.

"Don't let him do anything strenuous," Jacaerys looked pointedly at Aemond, gaze flicking quickly over to the knight in a gold cloak several paces back, "Or let anyone touch him."

Groaning, Aegon let his head fall back as Jacaerys walked off to help the dragon keepers remove the luggage strapped to his dragon. He blew out a breath as he looked back at Aemond, "The dragons are not the only ones who've grown a bit protective."

Glancing down at his pregnant belly, Aemond blinked slowly at his brother, "I wonder why..."

If Aemond had held any doubts about the pregnancy being real, he didn't now. It was, very clearly, true. The bump in the riding leathers he wore was obvious, as were the dark circles under his eyes and the faintly red palor to his skin. Heat came off him in waves, roiling and thick. Aemond tugged at the high collar of his doublet.

"You look like absolute shit," Aemond told him blankly. Aegon snorted, lips twitching up into another smile.

"Yes, well, I'm hatching a dragon," Aegon shrugged, patting lightly at Safyre's head. He pushed her back gently and the young dragon gave a whine before stepping back. She looked up at Aemond, eyes wide, and then back to Aegon's stomach.

"Can I?" Aemond asked, lips pursed as his hand twitched towards his brother's abdomen. Aegon nodded. He pressed his hand to the crown of the belly. The leather was nearly scalding, but there was a consistent thumping that stilled beneath his palm.

"Oh, you just like everyone more than me don't you?" Aegon snapped, eyes narrowing on his swollen stomach.

A sharp kick hit Aemond's hand and his brother doubled over, eyes squeezing shut. Aemond withdrew his hand, wrapping an arm around his brother as he took several panting breaths.

"I don't believe she appreciates being questioned," Aegon grunted, grabbing on to Aemond's arm to steady himself as he stood back up.

Aemond arched a brow, "She?"

"Obviously," Aegon gestured at his stomach. He wrapped his hands below the bump with a sigh, "You know anyone but a Targaryen woman to be this vindictive. This baby will still for Jace, Luke, Rhaenyra, Laenor, and now you. Me? Me she kicks, constantly."

"In her defense, if she stopped kicking for you, she'd never get to kick," Jacaerys teased as he returned. He swooped to kiss Aegon sweetly as the other man glared at him.

Aegon's glare lowered to his stomach, "Not even born yet and you've got him wrapped around your finger. Very impressive."

"May I suggest we get you to the litter then? Before my dear, sweet niece decides to launch her next attack," Aemond hummed, gesturing towards the entrance to the dragon pit. A covered cart sat waiting, non-descriptive and plain.

"I should've known you'd take her side," Aegon grumbled, head shaking as he walked towards the cart. Jacaerys followed after him, never more than a step behind.

They got several blocks before Aegon finally commented, "Can I assume the use of the City Watch and a plain cart are for my benefit?" He was sat across a cushioned bench, leaning back into Jacaerys. Aemond sat across from him, with Safyre curled beside him.

"There's been some threats," Aemond pursed his lips. Jacaerys narrowed his eyes. "Followers of the Seven haven't taken kindly to the 'usurping of the mother's position' with the use of 'dark Valyrian magic.' They think Aegon and the baby are an abomination that will destroy all of Westeros." Aemond explained, shaking his head, "It's quite ridiculous."

"Why the hell wouldn't Hightower let us fly directly into the Red Keep then?" Jacaerys huffed, jaw clenching.

Aemond arched a brow, lips curving upward in a vicious sneer, "Like I said, there's quite a few imbeciles who think Aegon's pregnancy is an abomination."

"One of them happens to be the Hand of the King, unfortunately," Aegon said, turning his head face into Jacaerys neck as his husband's face twisted into a scowl. "I'll be fine, Jace. It's not anything I wasn't expecting."

Jacaerys, to his credit, snapped his mouth shut. He wrapped his arms around Aegon, holding him as steady as possible as the cart was jostled by the road.

"What about the king?" Jacaerys asked, breathing slowly through his nose.

With a snort, Aemond looked down at Safyre. He ran a hand over the dragon's back, down her spine. "He's scheduled a tourney to celebrate the birth of his first great-grandchild. He put me on the Small Council, to 'curb my grandfather's religious zeal' as he put it."

"Couldn't he just take Hightower off the council? Name someone else Hand?" Jacaerys wrinkled his nose and this time Aegon snorted.

"That would be far too reasonable. The fact that he's blaming grandfather's anger on religion says it all," Aegon rolled his eyes.

Aemond nodded, lips curling, "The king refuses to see his Hand's true nature. He always finds an excuse to keep him, to excuse his actions."

"We'll be staying near you, won't we? In my old room in Maegor's?" Aegon turned his head to look at his brother, eyes wide. Aemond's chest tightened. He shook his head. "Where?"

"Near the king," Aemond told him with a sigh. He rubbed absently at his forehead as the cart hit a familiar dip in the road that signaled they had passed into the Red Keep.

Aegon closed his eyes. His forehead wrinkled.

Their mother's chambers were near the king's as well. They'd have Ser Harrold in the hall some nights, which was a half comfort at best, but they'd have Cole on others.

"Lord Velaryon is here," Jacaerys whispered into the top of Aegon's head, "I could ask him to lend us a few knights, until the ship from Dragonstone arrives."

"Do it," Aemond responded, before his brother could even open his mouth. Aegon's eyes snapped open. Jacaerys lifted his chin, brow furrowing. "The whole of court is split on this issue. Half of them think it's a delusion, some think it's a distraction, a political ploy of some sort. Most don't believe you're pregnant, and those that do are not happy about it. Once they see you, it's going to get worse. You need the knights."

The cart went quiet. A thick silence settled over them. Aegon pushed a hand through his hair as the cart came to a stop. He hummed, "At least I'll get to lay down again soon."

"Well..." Aemond grimaced, head tilting, "The king specifically asked that you come see him. As soon as you arrive."

"As soon as... He wants me to stroll into the throne room after flying all the way from Dragonstone, while pregnant?!" Aegon leaned forward, voice sharp and eyes narrowed to slits. Aemond nodded. "Fucking hell..." Aegon cursed and reached for the buckles of the riding leathers.

Jacaerys reached to help him, but Aegon slapped his hands away. The brunet sighed, "Egg, what are you doing?"

"I'm hot, I don't want to be wearing any clothes, I'm taking off unnecessary layers," Aegon grumbled. His jaw clenched and lips curled up to reveal a vicious grin, "And if it means I'm not wearing a single Targaryen color, then he'll just have to accept that won't he."

Aemond blinked as Jacaerys groaned. His nephew tilted his head back, banging it slowly against the wooden wall of the cart. Aegon stripped off the red and black, revealing the sea green doublet beneath that hugged his pregnant stomach closely. The color of the narrow sea, a blue-green that was distinctly Velaryon.

"Are you leaving yours on?" Aegon asked, turning to Jacaerys with one eyebrow arched as he sat up. He looked pointedly at the riding leathers his husband wore. They'd matched.

Whether it was just because Aegon was pissed or because Jacaerys actually wanted to, he removed the red and black leather. His doublet was a more faded blue, still a vaguely Velaryon color, even if it wasn't obnoxiously covered in seahorses like his brother's was. Aemond smirked to himself. Pregnant Aegon was going to be fun.

Notes:

I was originally planning to keep the baby's name a secret till the birth, but... the Rhaenyra and Aegon scene just stuck with me till I wrote it.

Chapter Text

The king grew more agitated every minute. For every moment the opened doors of the throne room stayed empty, his frown deepened.

Viserys had smiled, at first, when one of the ladies of court had spotted dragons flying over the city through the window - one gold and one green, she'd said. The smile had not lasted once the sun had started to shift across the sky. As the arched opening, as grand and large as any that existed, remained cold and undarkened by the shadows of their shared grandson.

An hour, at least, had passed. Court continued despite the king's obvious distraction. Viserys listened to the petitioners, one eye on the door nearly the whole time. He was not alone in that habit.

Corlys found himself doing it as well, though it was the window he was watching. His hands grew restless, fiddling just so with the pommel of his sword. A red dragon had yet to fly through the sky.

"What do you think is taking Jace and Aegon so long?" Lucerys whispered, looking up at Corlys with eyes wide.

Dark curls fell in to his grandson's eyes. He was nearly a man grown now, but his face remained rounded, soft. A child. Three weeks on the sea had not changed that, but he had months yet on this voyage. Arrax was just small enough to perch on the bow of the ship when he did not fly above them. His tail often hung down, swinging, rocking the boat.

His rider did much the same. Lucerys rocked back on his heels as he spoke to Corlys, openly ignoring the lordling who was prattling on about some knight and his daughter. Lucerys leaned past his grandfather to glance at the the king, "He doesn't look very happy."

"A king is not generally accustomed to waiting," Corlys smiled down at him. He placed a hand on Lucerys' shoulder and squeezed. The boy stilled.

Lucerys snorted, arms crossing, "Neither are dragons." He grinned widely, wickedly, eyes twinkling, "Vermax especially." Corlys chuckled, head shaking. Even with his brother absent, Lucerys couldn't help but tease him.

The herald at the door cleared his throat as the king straightened in his seat. Viserys' attention turned fully to three figures walking through the grand arch. "The Princes Jacaerys and Aegon of House Velaryon and Prince Aemond of House Targaryen," the herald announced them.

Corlys grinned. Even at a distance he could see the sea green of Aegon's doublet. Velaryon colors. His smile quickly morphed in to a frown as the princes drew closer.

Aegon was pale. He leaned heavily on his husband, though he tried to hide it. Jacaerys kept his arm around his waist, a hand at his arm. His grandson's brow was furrowed as they walked in. Jaw clicking as he clenched it. Beside him, Aemond did not fair any better. His fingers twitched towards his brother when Aegon winced.

"Your grace," Jacaerys bowed his head as Viserys stood from the Iron Throne. The room went silent as he walked down the steps. Corlys found himself focusing on Aegon's face.

The prince was losing whatever battle he was fighting as his face contorted in pain. His lips pursed and he ducked his head towards Jacaerys, hair falling into his face.

Lucerys elbowed him. The king's steps had echoed in the quiet room. They were slow, but not stumbling. Firm, truly, as they had not been for many years. Corlys turned his head to look at the king.

Eyes shining, focused and wide, Viserys stared intently at the bump protruding from Aegon's stomach. The prince had a hand cupped beneath it. The colors of House Velaryon covered it in soft fabric. Silver thread was pulled taut as the fabric strained.

"You're glowing, my boy," Viserys chuckled softly as he approached his son. A smile spread across his face like none Corlys had ever seen. Not even during Rhaenyra's pregnancies. Not since Aemma perhaps. Certainly never aimed at his son.

Eyes fluttering, Aegon stiffened. The king reached a hand forward, laying it across the belly. Viserys laughed, hand moving slowly over Aegon's stomach before he withdrew his hand.

"The child is quite active. A healthy babe." Viserys murmured, eyes finally rising to Aegon's face. Only then did he frown. "A hard journey was it?" His hand cupped Aegon's chin. That proved only to send Aegon sagging into Jacaerys' side.

"The ride from the dragon pit was long, and bumpy," Jacaerys answered for his husband. Aegon was shaking, blinking slowly under his father's sudden attention, under his affection.

Aemond cleared his throat, "Aegon ought to rest, Father." His eyes narrowed on the hand still holding Aegon's face. Viserys turned his head, brow rising. He nodded slowly.

"Yes, yes, absolutely!" Viserys stepped back and ushered Aegon forward, grabbing his shoulder. "You shouldn't be walking so much in your condition. Sit. Sit!"

No one looked more shocked than Aegon when he was pressed to sit on the Iron Throne. The entire room started murmuring. Corlys looked down as Lucerys gasped. As every eye trained on the lanky man, face slick with sweat and hand trembling on his stomach, sitting on the throne, Lucerys looked to his brother.

"It'll be your child's seat one day hmm?" Viserys chuckled again, gesturing out. He patted Aegon's shoulder, kissing the top of his head before retreating one step. Viserys winked at Aegon, grinning down at Jacaerys, "He can keep it warm for them, as we finish up this nonsense."

The king turned back to the lord who'd been speaking before. He waved his hand, standing directly in front of the throne, just one step down.

"What is it you expect the crown to do about your famial dispute, exactly, Lord Mallister?"

Corlys watched as Aemond gripped Jacaerys' arm. He shoved his nephew towards them. Lucerys frowned. His grandsons, both of them now, were watching Aegon as he sunk back into the Iron Throne, curling around his swollen belly with a pained expression.

"Lord Corlys," Aemond greeted him with a huff and a pointed look af Jacaerys, "We need to discuss something of importance, once court has adjourned."

He hadn't needed to see the way Jacaerys had glared at Criston Cole when Aegon had taken the steps up to the throne. He hadn't needed to watch the way his gaze had swept over the room, eyes narrowing on the frowning faces, when Aegon had taken the seat.

"I've already ordered three of my best knights to stand guard over Jacaerys and Aegon's chambers, in rotation, until further notice," Corlys assured the young prince. He clasped Jacaerys shoulder, "No harm will come to Aegon or the babe, my boy, I swear it."

Aemond breathed out slowly, head bowing just slightly. Corlys returned the gesture. Jacaerys nodded, head bobbing, "Thank you grandfather." None of the tension left his body

"Something's wrong with Aegon," Lucerys whispered, nose wrinkling. Corlys had to agree, when he looked back at him.

In the short time he'd been there, Aegon had already grown paler, skin nearly grey, bruises darkening beneath his eyes. Lucerys looked to his brother, lips pursed.

"He's not just tired?" Aemond asked, voice tight. Corlys looked back at his grandsons, brow arched high. Lucerys shook his head.

Jacaerys bit his lip, "No. This is new. He's never gotten this bad this quickly." He shook his heads, hands fisting at his side. "He needs to rest. And not on that stupid throne."

A quiet screech echoed through the hall as Safyre scampered in. Her wings beating fast on her back. She rushed through the room, unable to take flight. The various lords and ladies jumped from the small dragon's path.

"Stop!" Aemond called out to her in Valyrian. She halted at the steps of the throne. Head turning towards him, Safyre whined. She looked back at Aegon.

Viserys arched a brow. "What's the meaning of this?"

"Let her up," Aegon groaned, having sunk back into the Iron Throne. He pulled his legs up. Viserys turned, eyes fluttering. He'd avoided every sword edge by some miracle, but his chapped lips remained parted as he took deep breaths. "She wants to help."

Otto Hightower cleared his throat, stepping forward from across the room, "Perhaps we ought to let Lord Mallister deal with his family matter himself, your grace, so we might deal with our own?" His eyes were narrowed to slits as he looked at Aegon.

The king nodded, frown firmly in place as he watched Safyre lay her head in Aegon's lap. The dragon whimpered, nosing at his belly. Every breath Aegon took came with a whine, or a whimper. His hair stuck to his face as he grimaced.

No one managed to leave before another dragon screech filled the air. Louder. Longer. Angrier.

"Sunfyre," Aegon groaned, eyes squeezing shut. He shifted on the throne, "I haven't... I haven't been this far from him since before the conception."

Screams could be heard from outside. There was a flash of gold across the window. A roar shook the Red Keep.

"Stay with Aegon!" Jacaerys ordered his brother towards the throne, already racing from the room.

Both Lucerys and Aemond moved up the steps, ignoring the kingsguards on either side. Ser Harrold raised a hand to still Cristian Cole. Lucerys crouching just beside Safyre. He pressed a hand to the side of Aegon's belly as Aemond stood sentry, glare upon his face.

"What in the seven hells is happening?" Otto demanded, face red with fury. Corlys laughed, a deep chuckle that boomed across the room.

"Dragons, my Lord Hand, dragons," Corlys told him, stepping forward. He smiled up at the king, nodding towards the window, "They're not known for their patience."

-.-.-

The air of King's Landing always stunk. The city was always noisy. Rhaenys preferred to avoid it entirely, when she could. For Corlys though, she would suffer through.

Meleys shook her head, eyes fluttering as they approached. Rhaenys frowned. She heard it a few moments later. The screeching. The screaming.

Below them, the dragon pit was in chaos. A golden dragon snapped at every keeper, a green dragon gnawed at the restraints that held them to the ground.

"Go," Rhaenys nudged Meleys on, words firm in Valyrian even as she touched lightly at her dragon's neck.

It was with great effort, and significant rumbling from Meleys, that Rhaenys landed at the small yard at the Red Keep meant for dragons. It was big enough for Meleys, having been build with Balerion and Vhagar in mind. Though, that had been their size at conquest. Vhagar now would find the dragon pit itself quite snug.

"Calm!" Rhaenys took hold of her dragon by the snout, a hand on either side. She maintain eye contact. Meleys whimpered. She sunk into the ground.

A screech from above had Rhaenys snapping around. Sunfyre. An iron chain, broken, hung from the golden dragon's long neck. A lithe, slim dragon, not unlike Meleys, he stretched himself wide with his wings as he let loose a roar that shook the very walls of the keep.

People were screaming all around. Rhaenys turned back to Meleys. Whispering commands to calm her as the few dragon keepers that stayed at the keep came running out. They stood, eyes wide, simply gaping up at the dragon above them.

"Sunfyre!" Jacaerys yelled up as he rushed from the keep. "Down!" He shouted in Valyrian, "Calm!"

He repeated the words, loudly, firmly. Sunfyre lowered, head rearing back. He screeched, roared. Rhaenys frowned as the dragon seemed to twist in pain.

"Calm, Sunfyre," Jacaerys breathed out as the dragon landed on the ground. He glanced behind him, at the keep. He blew out a breath. The hair on his forehead flew up before scattering back down.

"What are you thinking?" Rhaenys glanced from her grandson to the dragon he was approaching. He had his hands outstretched towards Sunfyre. "Jacaerys!"

The fact that Sunfyre was not his dragon had not escaped his notice. Rhaenys watched his jaw clench as he took another step closer. His eyes never left the golden beast.

"I'm thinking... that the doorways should be big enough..." Jacaerys finally responded. He took a breath, then waved his hand, fingers curling back towards himself, "Come."

"Clear the door!" Rhaenys shouted, running ahead, "Clear the halls!"

When Jacaerys stepped backwards into the throne room, he was followed by Sunfyre. Nostrils flaring, breaths heavy, the golden dragon took slow steps, muscles rippling beneath his scales. The lords and ladies of the court were pressed back against the wall.

Before all their eyes, Jacaerys led his husband's dragon into the room, his words in Valyrian echoing, clear as day for every rider to understand, "Calm, Sunfyre. Nearly there. Calm. Come. Slow. Calm. Slow."

Sunfyre reared back, head rising up towards the ceiling once he was fully within the room. He snapped his jaws at Jacaerys and he ducked to the side as Sunfyre lowered his head towards the throne. Lucerys, Aemond, and Safyre each darted away as well.

"Sunfyre~" Aegon breathed out, arching up from the iron chair to rest his face against the dragon's scales. He breathed deeply, a shuddering breath. Sunfyre's chest rumbled.

Rhaenys smiled. She squeezed her cousin's shoulder and the king looked at her. She chuckled, "Apparently, the doorways were big enough."

Corlys moved to her side. She felt his presence before his hand took hers. Rhaenys turned to him, smile tight. He pulled their clasped hands up to kiss her knuckles.

"Now, might someone explain to me why Aegon didn't land his dragon here, rather than the dragon pit?" Rhaenys drawled, eyes flicking to her cousin, "This all might have been avoided if he had."

"Apparently, there wasn't room," Jacaerys pipped up, hands clasped firmly together. Rhaenys watched as his gaze narrowed on Otto Hightower, "Which is strange, since Meleys had no issue and she's larger than both Sunfyre and Vermax."

Viserys turned his head to look at his Hand, "I find I'm quite curious about that answer as well, Otto. Care to explain?"

"Jace?" Aegon interrupted, voice cracking. Jacaerys was at his side in seconds, helping Aegon to his feet. "We need to check on Vermax," Aegon grumbled as he climbed onto Sunfyre's back. "You know how your beast can throw a temper tantrum when he's neglected."

"Vermax does not throw tantrums," Jacaerys huffed, eyes rolling as he slid behind Aegon. He took the reins in hand, wrapping them around Aegon's wrist.

Lucerys snorted, arms crossing. He raised his chin, "I beg to differ."

"I don't think you can talk about anyone else's dragon throwing tantrums, Aegon," Rhaenys hummed. Aegon laughed, light and breezy as he leaned back into Jacaerys. His skin was brighter than when she'd entered the room. A golden glow rose beneath his flushed skin.

Sunfyre growled and then Aegon breathed out, his Valyrian a mere whisper, "Go."

The dragon shot through the halls and doors, back in to the open air. Quicker, swifter, than he'd entered. Rhaenys glanced about the room. At the startled lords and ladies, the knights with sword hilts still clenched in their hands.

Stepping forward, Rhaenys raised her chin, eyes snapping to the pale faced Hightower staring after the dragon. "The king asked you a question, Lord Hand, do you have an answer?"

Chapter Text

"We'll be lucky not to have the Faith Militant storming the gates with those sort of displays!" Otto threw his hands up, more emotional than Viserys had ever seen him, "His pregnancy is one thing, but this... this unnatural connection with his dragon-"

"The child was conceived on dragonback, on Sunfyre's back even. That dragon has a completely natural, and instinctive, connection to it. Just as he does to Aegon himself." Rhaenys cut him off, her tone sharp and her gaze sharper.

Aemond hummed from his own seat at the council. They'd adjorned to the room after Sunfyre's departure. There was no need to provide his people with any further dramatics. They'd gotten enough of a show.

"The point stands, Otto, that this entire debacle would not have occurred if they'd landed at the Red Keep as they should have," Viserys sighed, rubbing at his forehead. His Hand had provided all manner of excuses - none of them reasonable, or even sensible.

"Your distaste for Aegon's pregnancy has clouded your judgement," Aemond spoke up, eyes still on the table as he traced his finger over the surface of the stone ball he'd been given when Viserys had appointed him to the council. It was a blue, bright and deep, not unlike his dragon.

Safyre snapped her jaw in agreement from beside Aemond. The young dragon had curled up on the floor beneath his son's chair. Just small enough still to fit.

Viserys smiled to himself, gaze turning to the sky as he walked to the window. Otto continued his sputtering excuses. He had no interest in listening any further. The man had established his position on the matter months ago. Viserys knew what had to be done now.

The second Aegon had walked into the throne room, all Viserys saw was the child, the babe in his womb. It had been like seeing Aemma again, all the potential that had grown within her time and time again. The promise. Rhaenyra looked so like her mother, it always hurt to see her pregnant, all the joy tinged with sadness. There was no such pain with Aegon. No guilt. No regret.

"I think it time, Otto," Viserys spoke up, cutting the man off with a sigh, "It is time you... remove yourself, from this situation." The room stilled.

"You don't mean..." Otto's eyes narrowed, his jaw clenched. Rhaenys and Corlys exchanged a look. Corlys placed his hand on his sword and Rhaenys glanced to see that Ser Harrold had done the same.

Viserys turned his head. He smiled sadly, "Yes, Otto. You have served the realm well, but needs must, and it is time for a new Hand." His gaze turned back to the window. "One who understands the importance of our Valyrian heritage and tradition, I think."

The sound of metal clinking over wood twinkled through the air before Otto left, loudly. The heavy thud of the door slamming followed closely after.

"And who, exactly, will you be naming as Hand of the King, your grace?" Lord Beesbury finally spoke up, hands clasped upon the table. Viserys simply hummed. He fiddled with the top of his cane as he stared out over the Blackwater.

Much would need to change, to protect the child growing in his son's womb. The promise that it held.

-.-.-

"Fucking hells, Jace, I don't need you to carry me!" Aegon huffed as Jacaerys swept him up into his arms. He sunk into his husband's hold just the same.

Jacaerys ignored his protests as he carried Aegon up the stairs, "It's me or a litter, love. Sunfyre can't fit in the stairwell." Grumbling, Aegon wrapped his arms around Jacaerys' neck and leaned into his shoulder. Jacaerys smirked, "That's what I thought."

"You're being ridiculous..." Aegon muttered, face red as he peaked around Jacaerys' neck to see the many eyes of court following them.

"I think Sunfyre would agree with him, given his display earlier," Lucerys teased, following behind them with two of the three knights Corlys had lent them. They were hiding their laughter, poorly.

Aegon groaned, hiding his face properly. His dragon had started screeching the second Aegon had stepped away. It wasn't until Jacaerys had wrapped Aegon in his arms that the beast had calmed. Snuffling once before curling up to sleep.

"Vermax definitely would," Jacaerys supplied, grinning wide as they reached the top of the stairs. They entered the hall with their chambers and Lucerys slipped in front of them.

The third knight, the Velaryon Seahorse prominent on his chest, stood in front of their door. Servants had already brought up their luggage earlier. Lucerys opened the door, shoving it open so it banged against the wall before he walked inside.

"That was quite dramatic," Jacaerys arched a brow. Lucerys shrugged, head turning as he surveyed the room. Heading for the bed, Jacaerys asked, "Expecting something?"

"Someone," Lucerys wrinkled his nose. His arms crossed as he went deeper into the rooms, checking every nook and crany.

Jacaerys didn't stop him. With his brother there, and the knights, Jacaerys' shoulders loosened. He focused on helping Aegon from his clothes.

Palms sliding over too-warm skin, Jacaerys sat on the edge of the bed as Aegon sagged against him. The doublet was easy enough. He tossed it aside, then pushed the light shirt beneath it up and over his head.

"How're you feeling, hmm?" Jacaerys ran his other hand down Aegon's back as he pulled open the laces of his pants. Aegon hummed, wrapping his arms around Jacaerys and lifting his hips.

Nuzzling into his husband's throat, Aegon sighed, "Tired. She's kicking again though. Or... moving. Something." He groaned. Jacaerys rubbed a hand over Aegon's protruding belly. "Maybe I should've napped on Sunfyre."

"Sore?" Jacaerys guessed, fingers circling at a spot on Aegon's hip that had his breaths slowing. Aegon nodded, whining.

Lucerys appeared by the bed. He tossed a thin, thread-bared shirt towards his brother and collected the clothes Jacaerys had discarded.

"I could ask Aemond to bring Safyre, do you think that would help?" Jacaerys asked, carefully maneuvering the fabric over Aegon's limp arms. He tied one of the cords at the center of the shirt, just above the belly, leaving the rest loose.

"I can sleep by myself," Aegon huffed, though he clung to Jacaerys even as his husband laid him back on the bed. He was tucked into the sheets. Every quilt and blanket pulled down or off by Lucerys as his brother palmed at Aegon's muscles, kneading the knots and the tension away until Aegon was breathing evenly, curled around one of the spare pillows.

"He's worse than when I left Dragonstone, weaker," Lucerys whispered, brow furrowed as Jacaerys climbed off the bed. "It wasn't just... whatever that was earlier, with Sunfyre."

Biting his lip, Jacaerys nodded, "There's very few ways he can rest at all." He glanced towards the bed, running a hand through his hair.

"Mother was tired all the time too, with Joffrey," Lucerys offeree, shrugging, "And he's a man. His body is just... less prepared. Probably."

"That's what he keeps saying," Jacaerys scowled, lips pursed. He gnawed at his lip. Gaze lingering on the man curled up in their bed, "I don't like it."

One of the knights snorted. Both brothers turned towards the doorway. The two that had walked with them had entered with them, lingering at the door until they were dismissed or given instruction.

"Begging your pardon, my prince, but... no man likes seeing those he cares for in pain, whether it's natural or not." The knight nodded towards his compatriot, "Vaeron here needed more milk of the poppy than his wife when she gave birth. Nearly executed the maester, way her sister told it."

"Shut it, Gendry," the other knight, Ser Vaeron, scowled, "I did not." Jacaerys arched a brow as the man blushed. He cleared his throat, "I was only that bad for the first child, sir, and not nearly so dramatic as Gendry makes me sound."

Lucerys cackled, grinning up at his brother, "You're gonna be a nightmare." Jacaerys glared at him. Shushing his brother, Jacaerys pushed him from the room.

"Don't you have sailing things to do?" Jacaerys huffed as Lucerys contined to laugh at him. He nodded to Vaeron and Gendry, "You can go for now. I'll be staying with Aegon. Ser Harryn at the door should be enough."

The princes both paused in the hallway. Across the hall and a few doors down, Alicent stood. Shoulders back, neck long, she greeted them both with a quick nod.

"Your grace," Jacaerys bowed his head, throat bobbing. Lucerys mimicked him. He rolled his eyes once the queen departed and Jacaerys flicked his forehead.

"Go be gross with your husband," Lucerys waved him off, already walking backwards away from the room to avoid his brother's shove. He laughed lightly, bowing deeply to the three knights, "I wish you luck, good sers, you're going to need it with these two."

Ignoring his brother, Jacaerys closed the door with a snap. He sighed, leaning back against the wooden barrier. It was solid. Stable. His throat bobbed.

"Jace?" Aegon called out. Jacaerys was kneeling on the bed in seconds, hand slipping into Aegon's hair. Lips curling in to a smile, Aegon didn't open his eyes as he said, "You're thinking too loudly."

"Go to sleep," Jacaerys kissed him softly. An arm hooked around his neck before he could withdraw and Aegon pulled him down to lay beside him. Chuckling, Jacaerys let himself be manhandled. His doublet pulled open so long fingers could slid over his flesh.

Jacaerys hooked his chin over Aegon's head, wrapping his arms around his lithe body. One hand absently rubbed at Aegon's lower back. That earned him a few happy moans and a gasp as Jacaerys continued his earlier kneading of the tight muscles. When Aegon began to rut against his leg, Jacaerys ducked his head to nip at his ear.

"Sleep, Egg, rest," Jacaerys gripped his thigh, pulling Aegon's leg over his hip and stilling his body. Aegon huffed into his chest.

"I always sleep better after you fuck me?" Aegon said as he mouthed at his husband's throat. Jacaerys groaned. His fingers twitched in the meat of Aegon's thighs. "I'll let you do all the work."

Fingers slipped beneath the bottom of Aegon's smallclothes. Strong hands kneaded his ass, spreading his cheeks. Aegon rutted forward, cock grinding against Jacaerys' thigh.

"Jace~" Aegon keened, head falling back. Jacaerys kissed him again, mouth simply resting against his lips as his leg shifted between Aegon's thighs. Gasping, moaning, clinging to his his husband's neck - Aegon begged for more as Jacaerys got him off with a bouncing thigh and some gentle touches.

A pattern that continued each time he woke wanting that afternoon. It wasn't till nearly dinner that Aegon finally had the energy to force Jacaerys onto his back.

"You're a fucking tease," Aegon growled at him. He moaned as he settled atop his husband, a thick cock throbbing between his cheeks. Jacaerys chuckled, hands trailing up his body.

Thumbs circled his nipples and Aegon shrugged his shirt from his shoulders. Aegon panted, leaning forward to put his weight on his arms as he caged Jacaerys, hands on either side of his head.

"Give me your fingers,' Aegon demanded, eyes fluttering as he rolled his hips. Three fingers were pressed to his lips. He sucked them down with a moan.

"Gods, I love watching you suck on me," Jacaerys groaned, biting at his bottom lip as his thumb pressed at Aegon's. The cracked surface grew moist as Aegon drooled around his fingers.

Aegon licked between his fingers, eyes steady on his face as Jacaerys started to rock his hips. His breaths grew heavy. His head fell back as Aegon moved up on to his knees to shove his now filthy smallclothes down past his ass. He wiggled them the rest of the way off as his hands settled on Jacaerys' shoulders.

"Fuck me," Aegon huffed out, fingers falling from his mouth. Jacaerys wasted no time. He had Aegon stretched and screaming in pleasure with a quick efficiency he abandoned the second Aegon was sinking onto his cock.

With a grunt, Jacaerys bottom out. Aegon perched on his lap, ass on his thighs, Jacaerys' cock buried to the hilt.

"Fuckin' gorgeous," Jacaerys breathed out, rolling his hips to drag his cock against Aegon's prostate. Silver hair was stuck to Aegon's face again, his cheeks red, and his eyes hazy. "Drunk on my cock," Jacaerys cupped Aegon's cheek. His other hand dropped to his hip, squeezing at his ass.

Aegon gasped, head falling forward as his arms shook. His eyes squeezed shut, "Fuck, Jace!" Whimpering, Aegon began to tremble, "More, need more, need you to..."

"Sore?" Jacaerys grazed his thumb along his jaw and Aegon nodded. Swipping his thumb across Aegon's lip, he pushed it in. Aegon sucked on it as Jacaerys began to rock upward. Pressing down at Aegon's tongue, Jacaerys used his other hand to move Aegon's hips.

"Jace~" Aegon was breathless. His mouth fell open as he panted, eyes closed. Jacaerys smiled up at him, hand dropping to his chest. Aegon let out another scream as Jacaerys pressed his moist thumb to Aegon's nipple.

It took longer, rutting like this. Jacaerys was grunting by the end, mouthing at Aegon's chest as his husband ran fingers through his hair. Body practically limp, Aegon made his enjoyment clear with his mouth. With his noises.

Eyes wild, Jacaerys pulled his head down as Aegon climaxed, silencing his scream with a moan of his own. He devoured his husband's mouth, lips hard against his and tongue pushing deep. Aegon clenched around him, clinging tightly as his body shook with pleasure.

Jacaerys came a moment later, spilling his seed deep within Aegon's hole as they both fought to reclaim the air they needed to breath.

"Fuck," Jacaerys breathed out, head bowed as he pressed his forehead to Aegon's chest. His eyes fluttered, widening as the golden glow beneath Aegon's skin brightened as Jacaery's cock emptied in to the man.

Aegon groaned, body still shaking as he combed his fingers through Jacaerys' sweaty hair. "I said I'd let you do all the work," Aegon huffed, kissing the top of his head. Jacaerys chuckled. He pressed his palm to Aegon's glowing stomach.

"You're doing plenty of work," Jacaerys whispered, rolling his hips as his cock throbbed again. Aegon's body clenched around him, milking him, taking every drop it could. Jacaerys licked his lips as he watched the glow brighten with his pleasure and dim as he went soft. "More than I think we knew a minute ago."

-.-.-

The king arrived at his chambers with Ser Harrold. He nodded to the Velaryon knight, not pausing in his conversation.

"Daemon ought to arrive from Pentos within the wee-"

A scream from the door behind the knight brought Viserys to a hault. His eyes fluttered, forehead wrinkling in concern, and he turned his head.

"It's... fine, your grace," the man with a seahorse on his chest coughed. His face reddened, "They're just... They've been at it a while."

A chorus of moans soon echoed out, one of the voices cracking on his grandson's name. Viserys felt his face warm. Oh.

"Perhaps I shouldn't have put them in chambers so near to mine..." Viserys quickened his steps as his son continued to vocalize his pleasure. Ser Harrold cleared his throat.

"They can always be moved, sire," the knight reminded him. His blush rose all the way up to his shaved head. Another shout followed them in to the king's rooms. "At any time."

Chapter Text

In the training yard, Jacaerys sparred with his brother, a smile on his face as he parried. The Red Keep had calmed once Vermax and Sunfyre had both settled in to the stables. Their keepers now just as accustomed to finding Aegon lying against Sunfyre with Vermax nestled beside them as those they'd left on Dragonstone.

"You're not even trying!" Lucerys huffed, nose wrinkling as he slashed and cut at his brother with the training blade. Each blow was met with the sound of scrapping metal and a flick of Jacaerys' wrist. "It's my last day to beat you! The least you could do is make me work for it!"

"Make you work for the loss?" Jacaerys teased, turning with quick steps to tap Lucerys' shoulder with the tip of his sword, "That would be cruel of me, little brother." He laughed as Lucerys lowered his sword with a pout. "It's just a bit of fun, Luke."

"Combat isn't meant to be fun, my prince." They both turned their heads to see Criston Cole standing there, sword in hand, and frowning at them. He was in his training gear rather than his full armor. His eyes narrowed on them, "You should treat every opportunity to have a sword in your hand as one to better yourself, to hone your skills."

Jacaerys nodded his head, smile tight, "As you say, Ser Criston." He turned back to Lucerys, "Lunch then, little brother?" Lucerys groaned, already pouting as he nodded.

"Perhaps a spar with me, Prince Jacaerys?" Criston offered, brow arching, "Before you go." Eyes widening, Lucerys watched his brother's jaw clench as the knight chuckled, "I'm curious to see how you've progressed since my lessons, when you were younger."

Fingers twitching around the hilt of his sword, Jacaerys gave a sharp nodded and gestured to the ring. Lucerys darted away. He stayed on the edge, watching with just as much interest as the knights all around who were slowing in their own training. Memory was short, but not so short that Lucerys was surprised to hear the name Strong whispered behind him.

His brother was not Harwin though, whether they carried his blood or not. Jacaerys was slimmer, quicker. He was a dragonrider, not a knight. Their father had taken over their training once they got to Dragonstone. He and Ser Qarl had focused on agility, on quick strikes and using a parry to their advantage.

Cole didn't appear to be familiar with that style of fighting. He rained down strike after strike, face twisting as one after another was blocked and returned. Jacaerys kept him moving.

"You've certaintly got stamina, my prince," Cole grunted as Jacaerys avoided his next attack all together, twisting away and falling in to a defensive stance. "Though, that doesn't surprise me, keeping up with Aegon... well, an entire brothel would struggle, the way I hear it."

Lucerys cringed and his brother's nostrils flared. A proper audience was circling the ring now. Jacaerys clenched his jaw and parried two blows. Cole was starting to breath hard, as Jacaerys kept him on his toes.

"You seem unwilling to strike, Prince Jacaerys," Cole continued to talk, to taunt in an overly polite tone. He chuckled, dark, "It's hardly a realistic fight if only one side is willing to attack. There won't always be a dragon to finish things for you."

Jacaerys didn't rise to the bait. He simply pushed in at the next parry, taking advantage of Cole's overextension to knock his weapon from his hand. Kicking it out of the ring, Jacaerys arched a brow, words sharp, "I am the dragon, Ser Criston, and not all fights must end in bloodshed."

A chuckle rose up. The audience began to disperse. Lucerys let his lungs expand fully, taking in air all at once.

"An enemy you leave alive..." Cole called back, drawing his actual sword, the sharp edge glinting in the light, "...is an enemy that comes back hitting harder."

The move was quick. Jacaerys barely had time to raise his training sword to block the attack. It came down heavily. Cole had put his full weight behind it.

Cheers and jeers went up around the training yard. Lucerys cursed under his breath. He glanced around. The only knights around were those that were already watching. There were no other men of the kingsguards. The Velaryon knights had been joined by a half dozen from Dragonstone once their ship had made port. Jacaerys had assigned every one of them to Aegon.

"Perhaps you've grown too use to men getting on their knees for you!" Cole laughed as the end of his sword scratch a line across Jacaerys' cheek. A thin line of red appeared in its place.

His brother still hadn't moved to attack, still refused to strike at Cole. Lucerys fisted his hands at his side. His brother was a stubborn idiot.

"Cole's getting sloppy," one of the men behind him huffed, arms crossing.

The man beside him chuckled, "The prince isn't. You see his jaw clenching?"

"You saw his beast when they brought him from the dragon pit right? Angry little thing." Another voice called out.

"Little?" The first man snorted, "It'd eat you for breakfast and still be hungry, Peake."

Lucerys fidgeted, brow furrowing. They were right. Jacaerys wasn't getting sloppy, but he was getting stiffer. None of them knew what that meant. He did.

"Still running, my prince?" Cole snarled as Jacaerys ducked and side-stepped away from his last blow. He growled, "That won't save you or that monster growing in your whore when the gods' wrath comes crashing down on your heads."

In a flash, Jacaerys knocked Cole's head with his own and disarmed him, twisting the other man's wrist until he had a sword in both hands. A quick knee had Cole sinking to the ground, where he found his own sword pressed to his throat. The yard filled with shouts and curses. Bets were settled. Lucerys couldn't hear his brother speak, but his eyes flashed and the sword dug in to Cole's neck when the man responded. Blood trickled down his throat.

"Prince Jacaerys!" A shout silenced the yard and the men parted before the imposing presence of one Daemon Targaryen. Jacaerys didn't look up, he was staring down at Cole, eyes storming and gaze hard. Daemon grinned, "If you're planning to execute him, I'd gladly lend you Dark Sister for the job."

That seemed to startle his brother. He backed away from Cole, who reached for his throat immediately, chest heaving.

"You say a word about my husband again, I'll take him up on that," Jacaerys told Cole, gesturing with the point of his own sword. He took it with him when he left. Shoulders tense and knuckles white around the hilt of both weapons. Lucerys waited a moment, watching as Daemon frowned at his brother's back.

"Well then, it appears the shows over, boys!" Daemon snapped and the crowd dispersed. Lucerys blinked. Daemon raised a brow, gaze dropping to him. A smirk spread across his face, "Luke."

"I should go check on Jace," Lucerys fled, dropping his own practice sword on the ground as he rushed to follow Jacaerys into the castle.

-.-.-

"Three knights?" Helaena laughed brightly, nearly doubling over the side of her chair, "You don't think perhaps Jace is being a bit... overprotective."

"No," Aemond answered for their brother, feet kicked up on the edge of a desk under the window. He sat in a chair he'd moved nearer the bed, leaning it back against the footboard.

Aegon scowled at the back of his head, "I only go two places, Aemond. To see the dragons and to see the king, I spend most of my time lying in this bed!"

"Which just makes you an easy target with a predictable schedule," Aemond turned his head to point his gaze at his brother. It got him only a wrinkled nose and tongue stuck out at him

Helaena giggled, eyes flicking between them quickly before settling on her hands. Her fingers twisted together. She fiddled with her bracelets and her rings.

"You do more than lying in it, brother..." Aemond groaned, pinching the bridge of his nose, "You'd need three guards just to keep all the servants from trying to sneak a peak."

"The whole castle has been talking about it," Helaena nodded her agreement. Aegon rolled his eyes.

Aemond leaned back, head hitting one of the columns of the bed. He huffed, forehead creasing, "It's officially a topic of discussion amongst the Small Council even."

"Why?" Aegon's eyes widened, head snapping around. His hand, which had been rubbing absently at his belly, stopped.

"There was apparently a concern about whether fucking that much could be detrimental to the pregnancy," Aemond drawled, eyes squeezing shut. His head shook, "Once Mellos brought that up, the king had many questions."

With a snort, Helaena leaned forward, voice dropping, "Did he think Jace was being too rough? With all the screaming?"

Aegon had gone as red as Meleys. Eyes wide. "I'm not that loud!" Aemond let his chair drop to four legs and physically turned to look at his brother. He arched a brow. Aegon covered his face in his hands, "It's not my fault! I'm more sensitive now!"

"That reminds me," Helaena raised a hand, a grin spreading across her face. "Mother wanted to know if you're taking care of your skin." Aegon blinked at her.

"Mother... wants to know... if I'm taking care of my... skin?" Aegon repeated slowly, eyes narrowing on his sister. Aemond rolled his eyes and pushed his chair backwards again, settling in his previous position.

Helaena nodded and gestured towards his stomach. Aegon glanced down as she explained, "Your stomach. The stretch marks. She was grumbling on about Rhaenyra never properly caring for hers and how she probably hadn't instructed you properly."

"What does that have to do with Aegon being louder than a whore in bed?" Aemond drawled and Aegon reached over to swat his shoulder. "You're only insulted because it's true."

"He's sensitive," Helaena answered the question with a shrug. She nodded towards his belly, "It's all connected."

With his face glowing like the top of a candle, Aegon untied the bottom few cords of his shirt. He pulled the fabric away to reveal the skin. There were stretchmarks slashing across his pale skin all the way around. The skin was a harsh pink in the divots.

"They look a bit like flames," Helaena smiled as she stood up. She approached him, head tilting to the side as her fingers ghosted over the marks. "Or cracks. Like in an egg."

"Well, considering the maester has no idea how you're meant to deliver... perhaps they are cracks?" Aemond chuckled to himself, ducking his head.

It was Helaena that swatted him this time as Aegon paled. He cleared his throat, "Yes, well. I'm assuming that bit... figures itself out. There weren't any details in the text. At all. About anything."

"You figured out the conception bit," Helaena assured him, standing straight and clasping her hands in front of her chest. Her eyes glazed over slightly as she turned towards the door.

It flew open. Jacaerys walked in. Swords clattered to the floor. His gaze was focused on Aegon as he spoke to the rest of the room, "Get out."

"Why?" Aemond furrowed his brow, eyes narrowing on the familiar sword lying on the floor, "Is that Cole's sword?"

Jacaerys didn't answer as he knelt on the bed and pulled Aegon towards him. Their mouths slotted together, Jacaerys taking hold of his thighs as he wrapped Aegon's legs around his waist.

"Nevermind," Aemond choked out, kicking his chair out from under himself as he fled towards the door. Helaena followed, giggling as Aegon buried his hands in Jacaerys' hair. He was already moaning.

The door was closed swiftly behind Helaena. Aemond scowling at the thing as he slammed it shut.

"Where's Jace?" Lucerys gasped as he ran up, panting. He leaned over, hands gripping at his thighs.

A long moan carried out from the door and Aemond took a physical step away from it. The knights standing on either side of it exchanged a look. Lucerys rolled his eyes.

He stood up, hand palming at his face, "Of course. Nearly kills a man, gotta go fuck Aegon instead, that actually makes a weird sort of sense."

"Makes every sense in the world," Daemon hummed, coming up behind Lucerys. The young man startled, stumbling away from him and falling in to Aemond as a result.

With another giggle, Helaena watched the two scramble away from each other. Shoulders were shoved, chests were pushed, and they each took a step away after, faces red.

"They're feeding the baby," Helaena hummed, which had every man in the hallway blanching as she walked away.

"Please never say that again!" Lucerys called after her, nose wrinkled. He glanced at Aemond once she was gone, "Your sister is weird." A scream echoed from behind the door. Aemond just arched an eyebrow, thumb gesturing towards the sound.

Daemon glanced towards the two knights, their red faces, as Aegon continued to scream his nephew's name. He cleared his throat, "Is that normal?" The knights nodded, sharp and stoic.

"Unfortunately, yes," Lucerys confirmed. Aemond pinched the bridge of his nose, head shaking. He mouthed curses under his breath as the sound of scrapping and thudding joined the chorus.

"That's not," Aemond grabbed Lucerys by the collar of his shirt and started dragging him past Daemon, "If you want to continue this conversation, it's going to be somewhere else, uncle." Lucerys yelped when he was grabbed and he scratched at Aemond's hand as he was pulled down the hall. Aemond's grip remained tight.

With a wink at the two knights left at the door, Daemon followed the two, "Sorry boys."

Chapter 11

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Aegon curled against Jacaerys' side as they laid back in their bed. His husband's ragged breathing had his chest rising and falling beneath Aegon's cheek. His hand rose up, fingers tracing the lines of muscle beneath the warm flesh.

"What happened?" Aegon asked, looking up through his lashes. "Not that I'm complaining, but that was quite intense." His neck arched so he could see Jacaerys' face. Anger flashed in those dark eyes and Aegon frowned, "Jace?"

"It's just... Cole," Jacaerys huffed, head falling back against the headboard. His nostrils flared, "He said some things." The arm around Aegon's waist tightened, holding him closer. Jacaerys pressed the palm of his hand to Aegon's belly. "I lost my temper, for a moment."

That was not an easy thing to do. Aegon pressed a kiss to Jacaerys' chest, humming, "Did you kill him?"

"No," Jacaerys snorted, head shaking. A smile split his lip for just a moment, "It... crossed my mind though."

"Didn't lose your whole temper then I suppose," Aegon cuddled against his chest, nuzzling at Jacaerys' throat.

A chuckle escaped his lover's lips, "Are you implying that it only counts as losing my temper if I murder someone?"

"You're a prince, technically it's an execution," Aegon corrected him, smiling to himself as Jacaerys' chest rumbled beneath him once more. "And I'm sure it would be well-deserved."

Fingers slid through Aegon's hair, a kiss was pressed to the top of his head. Aegon's eyes closed. His breathing evened out.

"She's calm for once," Aegon rubbed a hand over his stomach. Jacaerys tangled their fingers together as their hands met. Beneath their palms, a steady thump of the baby's heartbeat was just discernable. Jacaerys smiled against Aegon's head.

"Calms at talk of bloodshed, definitely a Targaryen," Jacaerys couldn't help but laugh. The sound had Aegon sinking even closer to sleep

Aegon hummed, stretching his back and wrapping one leg around his husband's thigh. The fingers in his hair combed through the strands, pulling them away from his face, his neck. His limbs felt heavy, his eyelids heavier.

A sharp knock on the door had Aegon whining. He pressed his face in to Jacaerys' bare chest. With a groan, Jacaerys called for them to enter.

They were mostly decent. A sheet covered everything that mattered and Aegon was not willing to move just to pull a proper pair of pants over his smallclothes. Jacaerys still had his on, if necessary, so he could get up. Maybe. He was a rather big part of why Aegon was so comfortable so he'd much prefer the guards just say what needed saying and go away.

"I've been sent to ask you to attend an emergency meeting of the Small Council, Prince Jacaerys."

The soft voice that spoke was not one of their guards. Aegon's eyes snapped open to find his mother standing a few feet inside their chambers. Her gaze was averted, a blush bright on her face.

"When?" Jacaerys didn't sit up. His hand didn't pause in its soft massage of Aegon's scalp. Nor did the one resting on his belly move.

"Immediately," Alicent's eyes flickered towards the swords abandoned on the floor near her feet, "To answer an accusation levied against you, for attacking a servant of the king."

Jacaerys cursed. Aegon blinked as his mother quickly turned away. She didn't leave. She stood with her back to them as Jacaerys climbed out of bed and dressed.

Aegon groused, sitting up with a wince. Jacaerys knelt on the edge of the bed, cupping his cheek. He ducked his head to kiss first Aegon's lips and then the top of his belly.

"I'll try to not to lose my temper this time, unless I do it properly," Jacaerys whispered to their daughter and Aegon laughed. There was a quick glance towards Alicent before he retreated, hand lingering over Aegon's stomach, "Will you be alright? I can send for Luke to-"

Alicent cleared her throat, head ducking as she looked over her shoulder at them, "Prince Lucerys was called as well, as he witnessed the event." Jacaerys scowled at that.

"I'll be fine," Aegon shooed him away, one arm wrapped around his belly as he scooted back to lean against the headboard. He nodded towards the white sword, it's point glinting in the light pouring in from the afternoon sun, "You should probably return that."

His husband didn't even pause in his steps towards the door. "Not a chance," Jacaerys said primly and the door clicked shut with a snap.

"Cole must have said something really good this time," Aegon shook his head, lips quirking up, "He's still angry."

"I was not... present, for the accusation," Alicent turned back around, wringing her hands. Her fingers were twitching around one another, ripping at her nails as she looked everywhere but at Aegon.

"He didn't bring it to you?" Aegon raised a brow and Alicent shook her head, shoulders rolling back. Silence stretched for a moment. Aegon simply watched his mother. Her mannerisms. They were much the same as when he'd been a child.

Her spine was straight, her shoulders tense. The muscles in her face twitched as she clinched her jaw tightly. Aegon could see spots of blood bubbling up from her cuticles across the room too.

"I am... sorry, to have interrupted," Alicent forced out, the words quiet and halting. She smiled tightly, "You seemed quite comfortable and I know that's... that's a challenge, at this stage."

"Yes, she really only behaves for Jace," Aegon joked, rubbing absently over his stomach.

Alicent's lips twitched up and her eyes softened, "She?" Aegon flushed. He nodded, shrugging.

"I think so, anyway," Aegon admitted, ducking his head. His throat bobbed. Alicent stilled, hands dropping to her side. She fisted her fingers in her dress.

"Are you..." she paused, swallowing thickly, "Does he treat you well?" Aegon raised his head, eyes wide as she finally looked at him. There was concern there. Dark circles and worry lines were hidden by powders and creams, but her pupils trembled as their gazes met.

"Yes," Aegon told her, nodding slowly, "He treats me very well."

She mimicked him, nodding along. Her voice trembled, her hands too, "The... He's not being too rough? Or... He doesn't force you at all?" Alicent took a half step forward, hand pressing to her stomach as she began to ramble, "You're a prince, the same as him. Even if he's the next king, you have a right to say no. No one should touch you unless it's your will. The kingsguard-"

"He's never forced me," Aegon cut her off, brow furrowing, "He never would." Alicent arched a brow. Her lips pursed tight. "I'd... I'd tell someone. Rhaenyra would never stand for that." Alicent nodded again, lashes fluttering as she held back tears.

"Good," Alicent said sharply, taking a quick breath. She ducked her head. The word was repeated twice more, quieter each time as they descended in to silence.

Aegon's throat bobbed as he glanced down at his stomach. He ran a hand slowly over the protruding bump, "Helaena said you asked about my skin."

"Oh, yes," Alicent was suddenly fumbling for something in one of the pockets hidden in her dress. Aegon wrinkled his nose at the jar she produced. She bit at her lip, "I... well, it worked very well for me. I thought..." Her fingers twitched over the glass. Alicent ducked her head, turning away, "It's silly. I shouldn't-"

"How does it work?" Aegon shifted up a bit, back pressing against the headboard as he reached for a pillow to put behind. He pursed his lips when she paused. He cleared his throat, "Do I just... put it on my stomach?"

With slow steps, Alicent approached the bed. She bit her lip again. With a determined roll of her shoulders, she finally sat on the edge of it, right beside him. "Twice a day, yes. I... I found it most effective if I massaged it into the skin directly for some time, not just... caking it on." She gestured vaguely at his bump. Her eyes flicked over the flesh, the red divots ripping through his skin. Alicent looked up at him, eyes wide and throat bobbing, "I could show you?"

"Sure," Aegon nodded and Alicent unscrewed the lid on the jar. She dipped her fingers into the cream inside.

"It might be a bit cold," Alicent warned him before reaching out to gently press her fingers to his stretchmarks. Aegon gasped, grimacing as the cold mixture made contact with his overly warm skin. Alicent withdrew her hand, head snapping up, "Do you have a fever?" Her other hand rose immediately to his face, "You're practically on fire!"

"No, that's... normal," Aegon shook his head and took hold of her wrist. She froze. He gently pulled her hand from his face and nodded back to his stomach. "I've been... warm, since she started to move a few months ago."

Her fingers returned to the skin, slow, gentle. Aegon leaned back into the pillows he'd shoved behind him as she began to work the cream into the flesh stretched across the top of his bump.

The baby stilled beneath her touch. Beneath his mother's touch.

"She seems to like you," Aegon whispered, blinking slowly. Alicent's hand stilled and she looked up at him. He swallowed, "She doesn't calm for many people."

The smile that split Alicent's face was blinding. Aegon was certain he'd never seen his mother look so happy. Her gaze dropped to his belly and her hand stroked gently over it. She giggled, "I am honored to be one of them."

Aegon groaned as the baby gave a singular kick, right beneath her palm. Alicent laughed as she withdrew her hand.

"Your father said the baby was quite active," Alicent dipped her fingers back into the jar. She returned to her previous work as Aegon settled back. He took slow and deliberate breaths every so often, as the baby kicked. "Is this what he meant? All the kicking?" Alicent asked, eyebrows arching.

"No," Aegon shook his head, "She likes to move a lot. Constantly really." Aegon huffed, eyes closing, "Feels like something shaking, or dancing, right on my bladder. And it makes everything else hurt too."

Alicent hummed as he complained, whining about his joints, and the heat. He missed being able to cuddle beneath a blanket.

"I ought to wait for winter, next time," Aegon sighed, blowing out a breath that had the hair around his head flying upward.

"Next time?" Alicent asked, head tilting, "You want another? You haven't even had this one yet." Her hand rubbed at his side and he hissed as the baby aimed a kick right for there.

"It's painful, yeah," Aegon breathed through his nose, chest rising in a measured breath, "But I can breath through it, keep going. When Jace is here, when we're... together, it all just... goes away."

Shaking her head, Alicent laughed, "You always did prefer to laze about in bed." Aegon grinned. She screwed the jar shut again. With her clean hand, she reached up to cup his cheek.

It was a gentle touch. Gentler than any Aegon had received from her in years. He blinked. Her lips pressed together as her gaze swept over his face.

"I am..." Alicent swallowed, head shaking again, "You seem happy." He nodded. "More than anything, that's all I wanted. To see you safe, and happy."

"In that order?" Aegon asked, eyebrow arching. Alicent bit her lip. Her hand dropped to her lap. She nodded.

With a sigh, Alicent straightened back up. Turning back in to the queen before his very eyes. Aegon flinched as she stood. The baby started moving again.

"It's hard to sleep," Aegon said suddenly and he grabbed for her hand. He ducked his head, looking away as he continued, "When she's shifting all about, I can't... it hurts more." He glanced up, through his lashes, hair hanging in front of his face, "Could you... stay for a bit?"

Wide eyes looked down at him. Alicent's mouth dropped open. The queen was gone again, just his mother in her dress. She sat back down on the bed.

"I'll stay as long as you like." Alicent placed one hand on his belly and another in his hair as Aegon slid down the bed. He curled in to her lap. She ran her fingers through his frizzy curls, petting lightly, combing out the knots.

They remained quiet. A comfortable silence as Aegon drifted off to sleep.

-.-.-

Jacaerys entered the Small Council room with a frown. His gaze drifted over the group assembled there.

Rhaenys was the only woman present and she sat directly to the left of the king. The seat across from her stood empty. There was no Hand, but Rhaenys with eyes sharp and lips pressed into a line, was far more intimidating.

Next to the empty Hand's seat was Daemon. He looked like he might start laughing at any second, the grin on his face almost manic. Aemond, beside him, was completely devoid of all humor. He was glaring daggers across the table at Mellos.

The grandmaester was fidgeting in his seat as Corlys hovered behind him, arms crossed and face set in stone. Lucerys stood behind him, adopting a similar stance, though his face was as open as always. Red with anger, in this case.

Lord Beesbury just looked uncomfortable. Which Jacaerys thought quite understandable, considering he was sat between Rhaenys and Mellos and across from Daemon. Hardly a position anyone would covet.

"Good, Jacaerys, sit," the king gestured towards the seat at the end of the table. Viserys was frowning. His brow furrowed as Jacaerys did just that.

Along the wall, standing just behind the king, were the kingsguard. Four of the seven. Jacaerys had rarely seen so many together at one time, never in such a private location.

Harrold, Arryk, and Erryk each wore their armor, swords strapped to their side. Jacaerys smirked at Cole, the only one without a sword, or armor. A bandage had been wrapped around his throat.

"What's this about?" Jacaerys asked, looking back to his grandfather, "Queen Alicent said there was an accusation against me." He arched a brow.

Viserys gestured back and Ser Harrold stepped forward, "Ser Criston claims you cut his throat during a sparring match, my prince, with his own sword. Several knights who witnessed it have corroborated his account. Your brother amongst them."

"Did they corroborate the fact that he's the one who introduced live steel?" Jacaerys asked. Ser Harrold nodded. With a shrug, Jacaerys nodded, "I cut him. I didn't kill him, though I think I would have been well within my rights to do so."

"I did offer him Dark Sister," Daemon drawled, leaning back in his chair and gesturing widely, "But our kind prince chose mercy, for some reason." His hand flourished, waving vaguely in Criston's direction, "Your guard should be thanking every one of his blessed Seven for that."

At a hand from Viserys, Daemon went quiet. The room followed. The king looked pointedly at Jacaerys, "Ser Criston is a knight of the kingsguard. Any dispute you have with him should be brought to me, not handled in the training yard."

"But Cole's the one who asked him to spar!" Lucerys exclaimed, brow furrowing. Corlys reached a hand out to squeeze his shoulder. His brother did not go quiet, "He started the whole thing!"

"Ser Criston was his first teacher, it is a most noble desire, to see if he has grown greater than-"

Aemond slammed his hand down on the table, silencing Mellos. The man gulped. Aemond seethed, "I don't believe there is any nobility in insinuating my brother is going to be punished by the gods for having a child, Grandmaester."

"If I may," Cole cleared his throat, wincing briefly, "I only meant to rile your nephew, my prince, to check that he could keep a cool head. His temper was always a... challenge, when he was a child. Like his father's." Jacaerys tensed. Corlys narrowed his eyes.

"Given the current climate regarding the situation, Ser Criston, you might have thought to rile him up with something less inflamatory." Rhaenys spoke up, words measured and tone clipped.

The king raised his hand again, eyes squeezing shut, "Enough." Viserys sighed, leaning back in his chair. Jacaerys met his gaze with his own as Viserys explained, "It was Grandmaester Mellos that brought this to my attention, after treating Ser Criston. That you did not, is something that concerns me much more than this... spat."

"Why would I bring a matter to you that has been handled, your grace?" Jacaerys asked. He mirrored his grandfather, leaning back in his seat. He clasped his hands together in his lap, lips pursing and back straight.

A flicker of a smile rose to Corlys lips as he glanced from Jacaerys to his lady wife. Rhaenys sat in a near identical position. Beside him, Lucerys tracked the conversation between the king and his brother with rapt attention, eyes bouncing back and forth.

"You believe that taking the sword, and blood, of a sworn knight of the kingsguard handled the situation?" Viserys narrowed his gaze. His forehead creased.

"I believe it got my point across," Jacaerys nodded. Viserys frowned. "Both to Cole and the spectators." The frown deepened. "I won't stand idle when someone threatens my family."

The silence grew thick. Ser Cole stood stiffly beside his fellow knights as Jacaerys raised his gaze.

"No one will lay a hand on Aegon without his permission. Not a kingsguard," Jacaerys continued. His words were as sharp, as pointed, as his gaze. His head turned to Mellos, "Not even a maester."

The maester scoffed, rising to his feet, "How dare you imply th-"

Two hands took hold of Mellos shoulders forcing him back into his seat. Corlys lowered his head, whispering viciously, teeth bared, "I do believe that answers the question, grandmaester, regarding your suggestion for the birth."

The room went deathly quiet.

Jacaerys narrowed his eyes, his head tilted, "What suggestion?"

There was a significant amount of fidgeting from the members of the council. Aemond was the only one of them to meet Jacaerys' eyes, his lips pursed tight and his brow furrowed.

Daemon's eyes fluttered as he looked from Jacaerys and Aemond to the king. He stiffened, head turning slowly towards Mellos. Lord Beesbury smartly abandoned his seat as Daemon stood up. The fire in his eyes was cold and Jacaerys watched in wonder as the man lunged across the table at the grandmaester.

"Daemon!" Viserys shouted. Ser Harrold stepped forward, placing himself between the king and the prince as Daemon yelled. His fists rained down on the grandmaester.

It was Rhaenys who pulled Daemon off the man. Her hands gentle. Her words quiet. Daemon was breathing heavily as he stood once more. Shoulders rising and falling quickly.

"You would do it again, brother?" Daemon said breathlessly, glaring back at the king. Viserys paled. "Did you learn nothing from Aemma's death?"

"Do what again?!" Jacaerys asked, eyes wide as he looked from Daemon to the maester huddled on the floor.

Mellos was curled up, nursing a bruised face and whimpering. No one paid him a second thought as Daemon stalked from the room. Viserys least of all. He ducked his head.

"This is not relevant to the matter at hand," Viserys cleared his throat, coughing lightly. Set Harrold stepped back again.

"I don't care about the matter at hand," Jacaerys snapped, standing up. He gestured towards Cole, "The man killed another knight at my own parents' wedding, I don't expect him to see consequences for saying the same shit he has my whole life." His hand slammed on the table, "What suggestion?!"

Rhaenys head snapped to Cole, her voice as sharp as Valeryian steel, "What things have you been saying his whole life?" Viserys turned his gaze as well and Jacaerys groaned, head bowing.

"Did you think I placed knights outside our chambers for Ser Harrold's benefit? No. I knew what to expect from Cole long before this." Jacaerys drawled, waving a hand at their startled gazes. He huffed, eyes burning as he looked up at the king, "Now. What. Suggestion?"

Viserys whirled around as Ser Harrold's head turned to look at Cole, gaze hard. Rhaenys arched a brow, "Jacaerys, are you saying that you don't trust Ser Criston to protect you or your husband?"

"I'm saying I want to know what the grandmaester suggested that has Daemon leaping over tables, grandmother," Jacaerys demanded, looking at her pointedly. She swallowed.

"He suggested a procedure, should Aegon be unable to deliver naturally, for removing the child," Rhaenys explained slowly. She pursed her lips. "Aegon wouldn't survive."

Jacaerys stared, eyes wide. His head turned to Viserys. His jaw snapped shut, clenching to keep his words in as Rhaenys continued.

Her throat bobbed, "It was suggested, when Laena was laboring in Pentos. Daemon refused. He's... quite against such things, as you might have gathered." Her lips quirked up, a sad smile on her face. "I believe he called the procedure... cruel, the one time he managed to speak on it."

"That's how Queen Aemma died?" Jacaerys stared at his grandfather, at the king. His face was answer enough. Nostrils flaring, Jacaerys stood straight, arms crossing, "I want the maester from Dragonstone to attend Aegon."

"I will... write to Rhaenyra," Viserys agreed easily, avoiding his grandson's eyes. He stood himself, leaning on his cane. Clearing his throat, he nodded, "Now, tell me exactly what Ser Criston has been saying."

Cole squeezed his eyes shut.

With every word from Jacaerys, and then Lucerys, and then Aemond, his fate was sealed. The king gave him a choice. The same that King Jaehaerys had given Maegor's knights.

His page in the White Book would have only three lines. His name, the date he swore his oath, and the date he left the White Sword Tower for the Wall.

"I still have his sword, Ser Harrold," Jacaerys told him, hands clasped behind his back, "Should you require it."

The Commander nodded, "Keep it, your grace. You won it fairly, and no knight would want it now." With a quick gesture, Ser Erryk follow Jacaerys out, escorting him back to his chambers.

Notes:

I had planned to be meaner to Cole, but Mellos was *right there* and... well, choices were made. I am pleased with them.

Chapter 12

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Daemon took several slow breaths trying to curb his temper. He snarled at one of the knights who tried to stop him on his way walking through Maegor's Holdfast. Evidence of his inability to do so.

He ought to have brought the girls with him to King's Landing. They'd both requested as such. Rhaena had been most adamant, surprisingly, claiming Vhagar seemed set on the capitol. Baela had jumped on that with vigor. Daemon had escorted them to Driftmark all the same. At least till he knew his brother's plans, he'd thought that best. Of course, now, he had no light in his life to calm the rage boiling in his blood. Even Caraxes was far off, in the Dragon Pit.

There was but one thing he thought might calm him now.

"Prince Daemon?" The guard outside his nephew's chambers stepped directly in to his path, blocking the door, "Did you have business with Prince Aegon?"

No. The answer was no. He had nothing. Daemon simply needed to assure himself the boy was safe. That the babe was safe. It was silly. Childish.

"I simply wish to check on him," Daemon breathed out, jaw clenching. The other guard, still standing sentry beside the door, arched a brow. "Enter with me, if you're concerned," Daemon snapped, throat bobbing.

The one at the door was a Targaryen knight, one of Rhaenyra's he'd guess. Or Laenor's maybe, he wore black after all, not red or blue. The man nodded simply, jaw clenched. The other had a seahorse on his chest and raised a hand, "I will ask the prince if he is up for your company."

Daemon pursed his lips, but said nothing as the knight slipped inside. He waited. As patient as he could. He heard low voices. One of them feminine. Certainly not his nephew.

"The queen said to allow you entry, but the prince is asleep," the Velaryon knight spoke in a whisper and ushered him inside. "It would be best not to wake him. His rest is often fitful as late." Daemon agreed and allowed the man to escort him inside. He untied Dark Sister from his waist and placed the sword on a table in the receiving room.

Only then did the knight allow him to progress further without issue. Daemon approached the bed deeper in the chambers, pressed against the far wall.

Aegon was curled around his mother, head in her lap. Alicent sat, back straight and chin high, with one hand in his hair and another upon his stomach. Upon the child growing there.

"Prince Daemon," Alicent greeted him. Daemon narrowed his eyes on her. She cleared her throat, still speaking in a whisper, "Aegon is asleep, but... I am certain he would understand your... concern for him. If he were awake."

Her lashes fluttered and Daemon arched a brow. She knew. Something churned in his gut as he took in her protective hovering. Even now she had her body half angled over him, as if she might throw herself atop her son if Daemon went back for his sword.

"You disapproved of the maester's plan," Daemon hummed and he watched her eyes tremble. "You weren't suppose to know about it, were you?"

"There are a great many things I am not suppose to know, but do," Alicent offered. She relaxed only slightly as Daemon crossed to a chair. One that had been abandoned beside the bed. He sat in it backwards, arms crossing over the back. Alicent cleared her throat again, "Was Prince Jacaerys informed of the... of the maester's suggestion?"

"Given his confusion when I attacked Mellos in the Small Council room, I would wager not," Daemon chuckled, smirking as Alicent's eyes went wide. "I don't believe any son of Rhaenyra's would allow such a... a butchering to ever be considered for his mate."

Eyes fluttered again and Daemon thought he saw tears in the queen's eyes for a moment. This was not the Alicent who had stolen the show from the king at Rhaenyra's wedding. This was the girl he'd watch grow beside his neice. The girl who'd smiled shyly when he'd asked for her favor. The girl who kept her head down, despite hanging off the arm of king's only child.

Her hand moved in slow circles over her son's pregnant belly, small strokes, small comforts. Daemon found himself transfixed by the movement. His eyes rose to Aegon's chest, the slow rise and fall as he rested in his mother's comfort.

"There is another method," Daemon whispered, "One I have heard of only in Essos, that is... safer, to an extent, for the mother." Daemon grinned, "Or father, in this case." Alicent chuckled. He sighed, "I will speak with Jacaerys and Aegon about it, have a healer I trust brought over from Pentos, if they wish it."

"It is a rare kindess," Alicent sighed, head bowing, "...to chose your own fate in these matters."

Daemon snorted, resting his forehead on his arms, "I believe my late wife would agree with you, my lady." His eyes closed. He listened closely to Aegon's slow breathing, to Alicent's light humming as she focused back on her son. The knight remained by the door.

The man didn't trust him and Daemon found he appreciated that. The Targaryen knight remained outside, standing in front of the door most likely. The Velaryon stood sentry beside it on the inside. In the hallway, Daemon had passed another one, patrolling.

Jacaerys was taking no chances. Loyal knights. Strict in their practice. There were few that would be able to get past such defenses. Daemon would happily slaughter any that tried.

He raised his head, chin rising to set atop his folded arms. His eyes fell once more to the bump in his nephew's abdomen. To the future of the Targaryen dynasty.

Viserys had asked him to be Hand, to return to Westeros, to their family. At one point, that had been all Daemon wanted. To sit beside his brother, to protect him.

Aegon groaned, face twisting in pain. Daemon smiled. He'd seen the kick from his seat. The little thump and quick bulge in the skin. Alicent shushed lightly, hand rubbing over that spot with purpose.

"He needs to rest, my little princess," Alicent whispered, head ducking low. Daemon blinked.

"Princess?" Daemon asked, brow quirking up. Alicent nodded, a blush rising on her face.

"Aegon thinks it's a girl," Alicent told him. Her smile flashed briefly, "The next Princess of Dragonstone, she'll be, yes? After Rhaenyra."

It was not Viserys who needed his protection, not anymore. Alicent was staring at him. A nervous look to her face. Her jaw twitching.

"Indeed," Daemon agreed, gaze falling back to Aegon. He would do everything he could to ensure that future. He rose slowly from his chair. He gave Alicent a small bow as he reattached Dark Sister, "Thank you for allowing me to check on him, my queen." She startled at the address, mouth hanging open.

The knights let him pass without issue and Daemon headed towards the rookery, then paused and switched directions. Vhagar would have her way now. As usual.

-.-.-

When Viserys finally dismissed the Small Council, he kept Rhaenys and Corlys back. Which meant there was no one to stop him when Jacaerys shoved Aemond against a wall.

"Why the fuck didn't you tell us what Mellos was planning?" Jacaerys seethed, pinning his uncle to the wall. Lord Beesbury fled quickly down the passage. Truly, the only one with survival instincts on the whole of the council obviously.

"He only suggested it a few days ago," Aemond huffed, throat bobbing as Jacaerys pressed his arm against it. His chin rose higher, "We were all against it. Even the king was... I didn't want to worry you over nothing, or Aegon."

Jacaerys grit his teeth, eyes narrowing, "That... is not nothing." He was shorter than Aemond, and his uncle could certainly beat him in any sort of traditional combat. Jacaerys had enough anger he was struggling to control that he might just surprise himself though.

"Mellos has always been self-serving, but he wouldn't act without the king's permission, without yours, in... that scenario," Aemond reasoned. Jacaerys wrinkled his nose.

With a huff, Jacaerys stepped back, shaking, "Anything, any threat, any comment that could hurt Aegon or the baby, you tell me. Understand?" Aemond nodded swiftly, head ducking low as Jacaerys shoved him back against the wall, eyes hard, "Anything, Aemond, I don't care how unlikely it is to happen. I want to know."

"I'll tell you everything," Aemond pursed his lips. His gaze steady on Jacaerys, "There will be no secrets between us." His nephew finally stepped back. He took a breath, "You know where my loyalty lies, Jace."

"With Aegon," Jacaerys chuckled, head shaking, "As always." Aemond snorted, smirking as his eyes flicked over Jacaerys' shoulder to his brother.

Lucerys stood with arms crossed, frowning, against the wall opposite him. His eyes fluttered when he noticed Aemond looking at him.

A dragon's roar shook the Red Keep. It was followed by others. None quite so loud as the first.

Jacaerys was already running down the hallway. Aemond and Lucerys followed swiftly.

-.-.-

There was a pressure building in his chest from the moment he woke up. Aegon groaned, burying his face in his pillow as the sounds of dragons screeching echoed off the walls. He pressed a hand to his sternum, rubbing absently at his pectoral muscles.

It had no effect. The pressure remained.

"Aegon?" A voice whispered and his pillow shifted. Aegon opened his eyes. Alicent was staring down at him, her own eyes wide with fear. She glanced towards the window, biting at her lip.

A chorus of dragon calls had the windows' shaking. He recognized Sunfyre's roar. Vermax as well. Neither was the loudest.

Nose wrinkling, Aegon tried to sit up. Alicent immediately helped him to sit back against the headboard. He whined, pressing at his chest again. His hand came away damp this time.

"Oh fuck," Aegon groaned, eyes narrowing as he looked at his chest. There were now two, distinct, spots on his shirt. He glanced up at his mother, who was blinking slowly. "I thought this happened after giving birth?" Aegon asked, cringing as he pressed his hand against one of the spots, "And is it suppose to feel like my chest is about to burst open?"

"It, well, milk can develop early, I. Well... The pressure can be painful, when you're... full." Alicent was wringing her hands as she stumbled over an explanation. Aegon watched her begin to pace with a furrowing brow, "Sometimes, the milk just... comes out, when a baby cries, or, even just when there's too much or..." She took a breath, throat bobbing, "I think the dragons might've triggered it."

She nodded towards the window. Aegon followed her gaze and sighed. There were several dragons in the sky. Circling the keep, the whole city really.

The walls shook as yet another roar drowned out the rest.

"Is that Vhagar?" Aegon scowled and moved to climb from the bed. Alicent rushed forward to help him, but Aegon was already pulling on a pair of trousers. He didn't bother with a doublet.

Being vaguely sore was a constant really, and Aegon had acclimated to it well enough that the three knights assigned to him had to rush to follow him when he stormed out of the room. Alicent too.

"Aegon!" Alicent yelled after him. He didn't stop.

In the courtyard just outside Maegor's Holdfast, Aegon was quickly joined by Sunfyre. The golden dragon was one of the few not in the air.

Above them, Caraxes and Meleys were both keeping pace with the obviously agitated Vhagar. Their riders calling out in Valyrian. The great bronze beast, with scales the same color as the doors of the Dragon Pit, was flying erratically. Rhaena clung to her saddle, silver hair and a red cloak flying behind her as she struggled to calm Vhagar.

Other dragons had joined her, most of them sans riders. Moondancer was up there, with Baela, given the red cloak he could see bellowing on her back. She was just a touch smaller than Vermax, who was flying beside her. The two green dragons had taken up position on either side of Vhagar, but below. Ready to catch Rhaena, Aegon realized with a start.

Younger, smaller dragons flapped around Vhagar. Dreamfyre. Vermithor. Silverwing. Arrax. Even Safyre, though she was slow and struggling along side the others. They seemed more a nuissance to Vhagar than anything as they followed her. Every dragon in King's landing had taken to the sky.

"What the hell is going on?" Aegon huffed, running a hand over Sunfyre's scales as he watched Vhagar give another roar and turn. She was lowering, heading towards the castle once more.

"Aegon! It is much too dangerous for you out here!" Alicent screeched, arm wrapping around his shoulders. "Come inside. You're not even dressed properly." She tugged him closer, back towards the Holdfast.

Aegon rubbed at his stomach. She was still, his little dragon. Quiet, as Vhagar roared and thrashed about. She'd kicked only once since he'd woken, when Vhagar turned.

"No, I think I'm the only one that is safe, actually," Aegon murmured, pushing off his mother's arm and climbing up Sunfyre's side. It was not easy unaided. He usually had a step ladder as late, or Jace. He clamored into the saddle after a moment, breathless. He leaned down, patting Sunfyre's neck, and whispered his in Valyrian, "Up. We ought to go calm her, before she tires of Vermax flapping beneath her, hmm?"

Sunfyre took flight with a roar. Aegon laughed as he felt his daughter kick at him happily. It never hurt as much, when he sat astride Sunfyre. All the aches dulled. The air rushed around him and Aegon sighed. Content.

As he expected, Vhagar turned again, following Sunfyre as Aegon directed her towards the river. They landed after a short flight, just on the other side, in the Kingswood. The clearing was not large, but it became much larger when Vhagar landed.

Her neck stretched across the expanse towards them. Sunfyre rankled at the proximity. Aegon calmed him as he stumbled from his back. He landed with a huff and a wince. Rhaena Targaryen soon rushed towards him, eyes wide as she slid down the ropes hanging from Vhagar. He raised a hand to stop her.

"I have an idea of what your dragon wants, I think," Aegon told her, leaning back against Sunfyre as Vhagar's maw moved closer. Rhaena stood, still, just beside her neck. She swallowed, holding her breath as Vhagar's chest rumbled.

Just as Safyre had done when he landed in the Dragon Pit, Vhagar touched his belly. Her nostrils flared and Aegon shivered. The bottom of Vhagar's jaw was skimming across the ground, but Aegon could not see over the top of her nose. There was big, and then there was Vhagar. Aegon let her press against him, surprisingly gentle. Her warmth stiffling. Her scales rough.

Aegon winced at the kick that hit right behind his belly button. Vhagar huffed and retreated. Rhaena let out her breath.

"Are you alright?" Rhaena asked, already rushing forward once more. She hovered at his side as Aegon hummed, nodding. He leaned his head back against Sunfyre's side. Already, he could hear the approach of more dragons. Descending slowly around them despite Vhagar's gruff noises. Vermax was screeching with abandon.

The ache in his chest returned. Aegon glanced down to see the damp spots on his shirt growing. Blushing, Aegon straightened and looked at his cousin, "Can I borrow your cloak?"

Rhaena's eyes fluttered and Aegon looked pointedly down at his chest. Her lips pursed when she saw the wet spots, but her cloak was tied around his shoulders swiftly. Drapping his body in red.

Jace was going to be absolutely insufferable tonight. Smug as hell when he realized what was hidden beneath Rhaena's cloak besides his lack of proper clothing. And likely very annoyed, given Aegon had just gambled his life to calm the largest dragon in the world.

The man in question slid off his dragon before Vermax had even properly landed in the newly created clearing. Aegon sighed. Insufferable. Absolutely insufferable.

Notes:

*eating popcorn* Jacaerys is never going to be calm again. Just, ever, obviously.

Chapter 13

Summary:

A brief, and slightly smutty, interlude.

Chapter Text

Maester Gerardys had told Aegon on several occassions that he was a terrible influence on his nephew and husband. Sometimes that statement was said with a smile, others with a scowl. In either case, Aegon wished it was a bit more true as he lay sprawl on their bed. Jacaerys had not been distracted by Aegon's pouting, or kissing, or even his hands.

All advances had been turned down in favor of ranting about his safety. It had been a little cute. For the first hour.

"Rhaena said Vhagar wasn't listening to her, do you really think the situation would've resolved itself if I'd stayed in bed?!" Aegon snapped. Jacaerys turned, pausing in his pacing to scowl at him. With a huff, Aegon sat up on his elbows, "Vhagar wanted what all the dragons have wanted, to check on me. I was never in any danger!"

"That was a guess," Jacaerys stepped forwards, hands gripping the foot of the bed. His knuckles were white as he looked down at Aegon, "At best."

Raising his chin, Aegon met his gaze with his own narrowed eyes, "A correct one." Jacaerys breathed out, nostrils flaring. With a scoff, Aegon laid back down, "I'm not apologizing for calming a dragon down." His eyes closed and he crossed his arms over his chest with a wince, "Not to mention possibly saving the city from a rampaging dragon, or Rhaena from a particularly long fall."

"That's not the point!" Jacaerys shouted. "You endangered yourself, Egg! You and the baby!"

Aegon snapped up, mouth twisting into a sneer, "Oh, I'm sorry, was that not you I saw on Vermax! Flying right below a very volatile and eratic dragon!"

"I'm not the one pregnant!" Jacaerys pointed out, hands flying up. He gesture at Aegon, "You're barely able to move sometimes, you've been in pain-"

"That doesn't mean I can't do things!" Aegon argued, brow furrowing. He huffed, turning his head away from his husband. "I'm not just going to lie in bed, locked in this room until I give birth."

Jacaerys scoffed, starting to pace again, "Not wanting you flying up to meet the largest dragon in the air while she's throwing a tantrum does not mean I want you confined to our bed."

Throat bobbing, Aegon took a breath. His chest ached. The baby was doing her little shaking behavior again. Tears prickled at his eyes, traitorous things.

"And for the record, you've literally stated, on multiple occasions, that you'd like to spend all your time in bed," Jacaerys reminded him, stepping around the bed to approach his head.

"That was a joke," Aegon said, wetter than he intended. He scowled at the headboard as he felt the tears sliding over his face, "And a very thin innuendo for wanting to have sex all the time."

A hand cupped his cheek as Jacaerys sat on the bed. Aegon pushed his arm away, hiccuping.

"Don't comfort me, I'm angry with you," Aegon huffed. Jacaerys snorted and ducked his head to kiss his cheeks.

"I'm angry with you too," Jacaerys sighed, closing his eyes as he pressed their foreheads together. He settled beside Aegon.

Despite his annoyance, and his preference to remain that way, Aegon found himself turning in to his husband's hand as he combed his fingers through Aegon's hair. They remained like this a moment. Silent. Aegon's body shook as he continued to cry. He burried his hands in Jacaerys' short locks.

"I'd rather like to thrash you about..." Aegon whispered, voice cracking, "...for thinking I can't take care of myself. That I'd risk the baby when I wasn't positive we would be safe."

Jacaerys cupped his cheek, his breath warm on the other, "I was scarred, Egg." He opened his eyes slowly, gaze soft as he admitted, "All I've wanted since before I can remember is you, and now I have you. All of you, all the time, and..."

"I'm not going anywhere," Aegon held his face, staring up into wide and unblinking terror.

"Everyone wants to take you away," Jacaerys huffed, biting at his lip. He blinked his own tears away and reached to stroke Aegon's stomach through his shirt, "The Faith. Cole. Mellos."

Aegon's eyes fluttered, "Mellos?" He frowned as Jacaerys took a shaky breath. His thumbs slid over his husband's face, "Tell me."

"He wants to cut you open, to get the baby out," Jacaerys whispered, eyes squeezing shut as he shook his head, "Sacrifice you to bring her out."

Pale, Aegon squeezed Jace's face in his hand, "I'm not going to die." Jacaerys nodded slowly. "Look at me," Aegon demanded, voice sharp. Jace opened his eyes, breathing in deeply as Aegon traced a hand down his face, "I am going to be fine. I don't know how it'll work, but I know it will. I know this will all be worth it."

Taking a few slow breaths, Jacaerys bowed his head, laying his cheek on Aegon's chest. Aegon wrapped an arm around his neck, holding him there.

"I'm still not sorry for going up on Sunfyre," Aegon hummed, wiping one hand over his face. His tears had slowed. "But I am sorry I scared you." He sighed, breathing deeply, "And for the next baby, we're waiting for winter."

Jacaerys chuckled, pulling up slightly. He pressed a quick kiss to Aegon's lips, "And flying Vermax, for the conception." Aegon arched a brow, lips pursing. Jacaerys kissed him again, "Sunfyre can't have all the fun. We can alternate dragons."

"I suppose that's fair..." Aegon puckered his lips, brow still furrowed, "...but you're telling Sunfyre." Jacaerys laughed, head falling back to Aegon's chest.

A soft silence surrounded him. Jacaerys rubbing absently at his stomach had their daughter stilling once more. Aegon let his eyes flutter shut as they simply laid there, Jacaerys curled vaguely over top of him.

"Aegon?" Jacaerys ruined it and Aegon whined as he lifted his head again. A hand moved to his shirt, pulling at the ties, "Why is your chest wet?"

Red flooded his face, and for once it had nothing to do with the heat that his pregnancy seemed to churn out. Aegon's hands snapped to his chest, holding his shirt closed. Jacaerys blinked.

"You have never been modest a day in your life..." Jacaerys arched a brow, gaze shifting from the wet spots on his shirt to Aegon's face.

"I'm going to tell you something..." Aegon began, biting at his lip. His cheeks burned, "I would like to remind you that I have no control over this and I was very much hoping this wouldn't happen at all."

Both eyebrows were up now and Aegon slowly pulled his shirt open to reveal his swollen nipples. His chest had remained flat, a small mercy of whatever magic was creating the milk that was leaking from his body.

His husband was now staring intently at his chest, mouth open and eyes dark. Aegon whined, tossing his head back, "If you say I told you so, I'm not letting you suck on them."

"Egg," Jacaerys' voice was thick and Aegon's back arched at the purr of his name.

A hand rose up, a thumb traced the edge of his nipple. Aegon gasped as he felt a trickle of milk bubble out. Jacaerys swiped it up and then pressed his thumb to his lips. Aegon watched him with rapt attentionm

Jacaerys hummed, eyes closing as he savored it. Aegon felt his cock stir at the expression of bliss.

"I'm not going to say I told you so," Jacaerys huffed, ducking down to kiss Aegon properly.

Their lips moved in slow motion, in hard pressure. A tongue swiped over Aegon's lips. He was drowning in Jacaerys, not even able to tell if it was his or his husband's before the man started mouthing at his jaw. Aegon panted. His cock was throbbing.

"How did it start?" Jacaerys asked, thumb still circling the tender flesh of Aegon's chest as his husband writhed beneath his touch.

"Vhagar roared," Aegon gasped out, hands falling limp against their mattress as Jacaerys shifted around. The mouth never left his neck as it moved southward, but Jacaerys was now stradling him. His chest skimming over the top of Aegon's belly.

"Perhaps I'll forgive her for being obsessed with you sooner than I thought," Jacaerys teased, peppering his clavicle with kisses. He grinned against Aegon's skin as the man himself huffed.

When Jacaerys finally closed his lips around one of Aegon's nipples, they both moaned. Aegon whimpered at the hard suction, at the tugging on the nub as Jacaerys lathered it with his tongue.

There was a tingling sensation as the milk flowed out. It was short lived, and Aegon gasped as it seemed to vibrate through his whole body. Jacaerys rose up, smiling broadly as he licked his lips.

"I'm still not breastfeeding," Aegon told him, ignoring the damp feeling in his smallclothes. Jacaerys chuckled, head ducking to the other nipple.

"Still not asking you to."

Chapter 14

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The Reach was absolutely gorgeous, most days. Daeron even liked the company of his fellow squires generally. Minus the odd looks they gave him when he spoke with Tessarion. His devotion to his dragon was frowned upon here, even by his mother's family. She wrote him, constantly. Helaena too.

"Apparently Aegon's stomach actually looks a bit like a dragon egg," Daeron smiled as he read Helaena's words. He read them aloud to Tessarion, the soft melody of High Valyrian dripping from his lips like warm water.

The blue dragon gave a low rumble and she tilted her head to the side. Daeron arched a brow. She turned her head the other way.

"Well, I've seen your egg, so... I assume she means he looks like he has scales?" Daeron guessed, mirroring her as he shrugged. A few people passed by where he stood in the open field with Tessarion. He could hear them whisper, but he could not make out the words.

A growl rose in Tessarion's throat however, and her head ducked low to the ground as she turned to face the road. The smallfolk fled, picking up their pace.

"That was rude, Tessa," Daeron huffed, shaking his head even as he grinned at her. He reached out a hand to rub at her forehead. His fingers traced the lines of her scales.

He didn't understand their fear of his beautiful Tessarion. In the sunlight, her scales glimmered, a deeper and richer blue than the Sunset Sea could ever dream to hold. Cobalt and bronze. Surely every rider thought their dragon was the most beautiful, but Daeron knew his Blue Queen would win in any true contest.

It was obvious, from the letter, that Helaena was worried. Her handwriting grew more agitated with every word. Some letters larger, others nearly too small to read. When she'd written Aegon's name the paper had nearly ripped beneath the intensity of her scribbling.

Tessarion had grown agitated in recent days. Not unlike how Helaena had described Vhagar's arrival. Nor his grandfather's...

Otto Hightower had returned to Oldtown only a fortnight ago and already things had grown tense in the Reach. There were whispers of rebellion. The Citadel was against Aegon's marriage. An envoy from Casterly Rock had arrived that morning.

"What shall we do Tessa?" Daeron asked his dragon, lowering his voice as he lowered his head to her scales. Her nostrils flared. She wanted to go home as much as he did. Yet he wasn't sure. Was King's Landing really home? He'd been in Oldtown far longer, had almost no memories of the Red Keep, even fewer of his siblings. Were it not for the letters from his mother and sister, Daeron would have no connection to his Targaryen family.

A rumbling rose in Tessarion's throat. He smiled. There was her, of course. There was nothing in this world more Targaryen than dragons and Tessarion had been his constant companion since the cradle. She'd hatched just as he was learning to walk according to Helaena, and had spent her first few hours helping him master the skill before their mother had discovered the baby dragon in the nursery.

"You're right, Tess," Daeron sighed and lifted his head. He walked around her and climbed into the saddle. Stuffing Helaena's letter in to his shirt, he gave the command, "Take us home."

-.-.-

There were more dragons in King's Landing than ever before. Rhaenyra had arrived with a proper entourage. Seasmoke and Tyraxes flew beside Syrax across the Blackwater. Vermithor, Silverwing, and several young dragons of various sizes flew just behind them.

The lairs of High Tide and Dragonstone had been emptied. Jacaerys claimed that three of the larger unnamed dragons were wild even. The largest, a dark grey dragon with green eyes full of rage, had been muzzled on Rhaenyra's order when they arrived. Aegon had been present for that, standing a few yards away as the dragon keepers had struggled to tame the infamous Cannibal.

"Every dragon is Westeros has been drawn here," Viserys announced at a feast that night. He raised his goblet towards Aegon and Jacaerys, "They can sense, as we all can, the importance of what is to come." He turned his attention to the room at large, to the gathered lords and ladies of Westeros, "Drink with me, to the health and prosperity, of my first great-grandchild!"

Everyone drank. No one was dumb enough not to with every Targaryen watching. Daemon sat at the high table, beside his brother, noting the expressions of displeasure on certain faces. Sat amongst the lords below, Aemond and Rhaenys did the same.

Some had expected the Lady of Driftmark to leave when Corlys had departed. She had not. Viserys had named her to the council, as Master of Laws. Laenor had been summoned to hold the title of Master of Ships until Corlys returned. With Rhaenyra and Aemond as councilors and Daemon as Hand, the only non-Targaryens left on the council were Mellos and Lord Beesbury. Only one of them had been greeted warmly by Rhaenyra when she arrived.

Lord Beesbury sat beside other Lords from the Reach. The Tyrells, he noticed, were amongst those with genuine smiles. This made the absence of Lord Hightower sit a bit better with Lyman. He knew the Hightowers were against the match, and the child. The High Septon had sent ravens to every one of the lord paramounts, the Tyrells amongst them.

The king had not yet responded to that act. Had not yet informed the Small Council even. A misstep, in Lyman's opinion. If the king did not act in an official manner, he had no doubt the Hand would move unofficially. Perhaps even violently.

"They're as besotted with one another as the rumors had said," Lady Tyrell leaned over to speak with Lyman. She was smiling widely as she nodded towards the high table. Prince Jacaerys was fretting over his husband. Prince Aegon seemed to be teasing him, smirking before he kissed his cheek. Her smile turned sad for but a moment, "I do hope their happiness will persist."

"As do I, my lady," Lyman told her, toasting with her as she sat back in her seat. The little Lord Tyrell, Lyonel, was upstairs with his wetnurse and a maid and surely half a dozen guards. Lyman cleared his throat, "If I may be so bold, my lady..."

Lady Tyrell raised a hand to stop him, "I will not act against the Citadel, nor will I act on the High Septon's request." She sighed, head shaking, "I am my son's regent, I must protect my son and his seat as best I can. To mar his name with acts of war before he can even speak..." She swallowed thickly and turned to look at him, "We will not get involved. Any lord that asks it of me will be given the same answer."

With a short nod and a quick glance towards the high table, Lyman asked, "And what if the king were to ask it of you?"

"That, Lord Beesbury, is another matter," she broke eye contact and reached for her fork. Lyman smiled.

Throughout the feast, he saw her eyes rise to watch the princes, their little touches, their affection. Lady Tyrell was not alone in that fixation. One of the Lannister bannermen smiled when Jacaerys ducked his head to kiss Aegon's belly.

Perhaps the king had been smart, to call them all here for the celebration. The last tourney he'd held for a birth had ended in a funeral, and it's shadow had hung over the preparations. Yet the lords and ladies of the realm were turning to their side. Softening, warming to the idea of the future Targaryen child as they all watched the babe's parents look at one another as if happiness existed only in the other's gaze.

-.-.-

Alicent paced within Rhaenyra's chambers as they waited for the rest of their party to arrive. Laenor had poured her a glass of wine. She did not touch it. Did not trust her hands to hold it.

"Do you think he says those things on purpose?" Alicent tossed out, hands flung wide.

Rhaenyra rose from her seat, taking her hands. Her gaze was soft, "Which things?"

"'Every dragon' he said," Alicent huffed, head shaking. She knew there were tears in her eyes as she tried to blink them away, "As if Daeron is not a Targaryen, as if his dragon doesn't count. He won't summon him back, no matter how much I beg..."

The tears came anyway and Rhaenyra pulled her into a tight embrace. Alicent ducked her head, sobbing in to Rhaenyra's shoulder. She felt Laenor come to her side, a warm hand on her shoulder as Rhaenyra's rubbed circles in to her back.

"I do not believe it was intentional," Laenor sighed, his lips pursed. Rhaenyra nodded sharply, chin tucked over Alicent's head.

"Luke is gone as well, with Arrax," Rhaenyra reminded her. Alicent shook her head, sniffling.

"We'll speak with Daemon," Laenor suggested, hand squeezing, "Surely if the entire Small Council suggests Daeron be brought back to finish his education here, he would listen."

Alicent scoffed, voice sharp as she whispered, "You have more faith in him than I, Ser Laenor."

"I don't believe we'll need to petition the king at all," Daemon cleared his throat as he entered the room. They all turned to face him and he smirked, "It seems my dear brother's speech was half prediction."

When Daemon beckoned her forward, Alicent found herself running. There were dragons screeching, greeting one another in an unfamiliar language Alicent would never recognize. She recognized the smile on Daemon's face though. It was the same as the one he'd had when Rhaena had walked through the River Gate and announced Vhagar would be nesting in the Kingswood.

Amusement. Affection. Love.

Daeron was standing in the courtyard outside Maegor's, just stepping down from his dragon's back. The blue beast Alicent had last seen resting atop the carriage that had taken her baby away was now nearly as large as a quarter horse, with a simple saddle that seemed ill-fitting for such a beautiful creature.

Tessarion nudged Daeron's shoulder and he turned to face her. Alicent gasped as she looked upon his face. The soft curves of his jaw and the light waves of his nearly golden hair. She flung herself around him, wrapping him as tightly in her arms as she could.

"Hello, mother," Daeron laughed as he returned her hug. He was nearly as tall as she was. Certainly not a babe, or even truly a child, anymore. Alicent released him only to cup his face in her hands, to look into his eyes. They were more blue than purple, a bit like Aemond's, but of a paler shade.

"You've managed what I never have, little brother," Aegon called from where he was resting against Sunfyre a few yards away. One of the three knights standing around them stooped down to provide him aid as he rose to his feet. With a grin, Aegon approached, "You've rendered our mother speechless, Daeron."

Sunfyre snickered, a low rumble that Tessarion mimicked quickly. Daeron smiled, leaning in to his mother's embrace as she squeezed him to her chest again.

"Fuck!" Aegon hissed, doubling over as he held both hands to his stomach. Alicent's head snapped towards him. She took Daeron's hand in hers, pulling him along as she walked to Aegon.

"Are you alright?" Daeron's eyes widened as Aegon straightened back up, nose still wrinkled and brow furrowed. Aegon nodded. Alicent laid her hand over the top of Aegon's belly. Aegon hissed again and Alicent frowned.

"She's not calming..." Alicent's brows rose up. Aegon hummed. He turned his head as Daemon, Rhaenyra, and Laenor appeared at the same door Alicent had come through.

With a strangled voice, Aegon gasped, "Go get Jace. I think the baby is coming."

Notes:

Aemma doesn't share attention well apparently.

Chapter Text

Alicent refused to release Daeron even as Aegon was rushed back to his chambers. He found himself dragged with her, her hold on his hand tighter than any lock. Daeron also found that he didn't mind.

"Isn't it too early?" Aegon asked, eyes wide as he looked from Alicent to Rhaenyra and back, "The maesters all said it would be another few weeks I thought."

"That was an estimate," Rhaenyra reminded him as she helped him settle in his bed. She flashed him a quick smile, "Babies always have their own opinion on these things."

Laenor had gone to find Jacaerys and Daemon had gone for a maester, Gerardys. Rhaenyra had been specific with the name. Daeron felt quite useless, shuffling his feet beside the bed.

"It has been a full nine moon cycles since that first morning," Alicent combed a hand through Aegon's hair, cupping his chin after, "You and the baby are both strong, she's just impatient to get out."

Aegon whimpered, eyes trembling as he looked up at their mother.

Daeron coughed, drawing everyone's gaze. He focused on his brother, words earnest, "I read that some babes just come early. So long as they're able to breath on their own when they're born, the children develop normally." Aegon nodded mutely. Daeron tilted his head, "And, your pregnancy is hardly standard, after all... maybe the babe grew quicker."

"Yeah?" Aegon question, voice cracking. Daeron started rambling then. He'd found a book in the Citadel about abnormal pregnancies. Rhaenyra gave him an encouraging smile as he spat out the facts he could remember.

His brother calmed slightly. Breathing slower. Daeron's chest warmed as he watched some of the worry bleed from Aegon's expression. The lines in his forehead disappeared.

Their mother helped him in to a birthing gown. It seemed like little more than a long white shirt to Daeron, though he understood that was on purpose.

"Aegon!" Jacaerys rushed into the room, door slamming open. He immediately climbed into the bed, reaching for his husband. Aegon clung to him and Jacaerys rocked him slowly, "It'll be fine, love."

Their nephew's eyes were just as wide as Aegon's though and Daeron had never seen anyone so afraid. Certainly not Jacaerys.

He remembered his nephew as a bright-eyed and ruddy-cheeked child, fearless as he carried Vermax around the castle like a beloved cat. The dragon had snapped at anyone who looked at them funny and singed several eyebrows. Jacaerys had only laughed and kissed the green fiend's nose.

This man had the same chin and strong jaw, but he was as pale as fresh sheets and his brown eyes were shaking. Alicent and Rhaenyra fretted around. Blankets and pillows were moved and fluffed as necessary. Daeron was pushed here and there until he somehow ended up sitting beside his brother, holding Aegon's hand as he winced every few minutes.

When the king arrived a few minutes after the maester, he was not alone. Jacaerys scowled from where he sat beside Aegon, rubbing at his lower back. Alicent paled at the appearance of representatives from the six high houses.

Lady Tyrell was the only woman amongst them and she seemed the only one perturbed to be there. Lord Stark did have his gaze averted from the bed though. Daeron would give the young lord points for that.

"Father, what are they doing here?" Rhaenyra was the one to ask. It was Aegon who answered.

"They're here to witness the birth," Aegon whimpered through what Daeron assumed was a contraction. His knuckles went as white as the sheets in his hands. Daeron paled and held the fingers Aegon had released moments before to his chest. His brother took a shaky breath, "No one has seen a birth like this, so... it has to be proven that the child is mine. Is ours." Aegon looked over his shoulder at Jacaerys at the end of his explanation.

"You agreed to this?" Jacaerys' whisper was not nearly as quiet as he might think it was. The five lords behind the king shuffled their feet at the venom in his words.

Aegon nodded, chuckling softly as he pressed his forehead to his husband's chest, "It's fewer than I was expecting actually."

"One from each of the great houses. They can carry their story to their own lords, as necessary," Viserys gestured towards the wall, waving the witnesses to the side. "They understand their purpose. Each will swear their loyalty to the child and sign the announcement of the child's birth."

That was quite thorough. Daeron swallowed, wrapping his arm around his mother's arm as he stood from the bed. She looked down at him, smile shaky, and pulled him to her arms.

The king hadn't addressed him at all. Or even noticed him. Given he was still decked out in Hightower green, that was probably for the best. Daeron's heart sunk all the same.

-.-.-

Sailing up a river was not nearly as pleasant as sailing on the Narrow Sea. And the Blackwater River was a particular unpleasant river. The only one who seemed to appreciate the change was Arrax. And that was only because he could hunt to his heart's content for most of the journey.

Not now though. Now, Arrax had to remain close.

Luke smiled as he watched his dragon sail through the sky above them. He could nearly blend into the clouds, with his coloring. And Luke would too, soon, when he finally got to ride Arrax high up in the sky.

"You're certain he'll be able to take you up with him?" one of the sailor came up behind him. Luke turned his head, amiling at his grandfather's first mate.

"We flew a short circuit around King's Landing, before we left," Luke assured him. He let out a short whistle, gaining Arrax's attention before he shouted his command to return.

This was a smaller ship than those they sailed on the Narrow Sea. Arrax was too big to perch on the edges. He was, arguably, too big to land on the deck as well, but he fit, at least.

"We're well pass the Great Fork," Corlys announced from the upper deck. Luke looked up at him. His grandfather nodded, "Time to fly boy. Be careful."

Grinning, Luke approached Arrax. He whispered in Valyrian. Many who sailed with the Velaryons knew Valyrian, the sort they spoke in the ports of Essos. Luke knew that sort as well, but when he spoke to Arrax it was in High Valyrian - his words sharper, flowing together like a song.

"We have to be silent, Arrax, and fly as high as we dare. They cannot see us, understand? If the army is there, they cannot know we are as well," Luke kissed the top of his dragon's snout and Arrax ducked his head in a low nod.

Rounding the great beast, Luke climbed into the saddle. Arrax was about the size of a horse, with his wings pulled in. His wings spread wide, over the edge of both sides of the ship.

"Up, Arrax," Luke commanded and they took to the sky. The air was pushed from his lungs. Luke gripped the reigns tightly. He pressed low to Arrax's back as they flew higher, farther.

The clouds rose up around them, the perfect camouflage as they scouted further west along the river. Along the Gold Road. When the two finally diverged, Luke followed the road.

It was not an easy thing to follow this high up. There were no proper markers. Just the shadow of constant wear on the ground from the carriages and horses that used this route. This region was mostly plains, full of grass, occassionally fields near to little towns that dotted the road. As the terrain turned rocky, Luke spotted them.

The host of Casterly Rock. Sworn swords from all across the Westerlands. Luke could make out some of their banners. He nudged Arrax lower, only slightly.

Not all the banners were from the Westerlands. The Hightower banner was prominent, along with others from the Reach. Frowning, Luke circled the host, high above them. He looked for landmarks, pulling out a notebook to mark down what information he could. Including the banners he recognized.

The ones who had answered the call from the High Septon. The ones that would march against his neice before she even took her first breath.

Arrax huffed beneath him as they rose back into the clouds. Luke rubbed absently at his scales as he tucked his notebook away.

"Back to the ship," Luke commanded him, grip tight on his saddle, reigns wrapped tightly around his wrist. He laid down, nearly flat, "As fast as you can."

Wings beat quickly through the air. They'd rest at the ship, and then they'd return to King's Landing. Arrax could manage the journey. Luke was certain.

His throat bobbed, it was just a matter of convincing his grandfather. His fingers twitched towards the notebook tucked inside his doublet. Something told Luke that was about to be much easier than it would've been before their departure.

-.-.-

Aegon's screams filled the castle. A golden glow had crisscrossed his abdomen shortly after his labor began. Lines cutting over his skin like a second set of veins.

Nothing else had changed as yet. Aegon grew pale. Sweat covered his body as he shook within his husband's arms.

"I should've stayed with Sunfyre," Aegon cursed under his breath after his latest contraction. He pressed his forehead to the exposed skin of Jacaerys' throat as he took slow, heavy breaths.

Gerardys had been able to confirm they were, indeed, contractions. The womb inside his body was preparing to expel the babe within. He had not figured out where it was planning to have the child exit.

"Should we go get Tyraxes? Or Safyre?" Joffrey asked from beside his brother. Brow furrowed as he held a goblet full of ice broken up into tiny shards. Aemond had taken to pacing at the side of his bed. A habit Daeron joined him in.

"No," Helaena hummed as she entered the room. The last to arrive. She was wearing a dressing gown over her night dress and Viserys sputtered. He quickly pulled his own jacket off to drape over his younger daughter as she tilted her head. Her eyes, slightly glazed, were pointed at Aegon, "You're surrounded by the wrong dragons."

The room went silent. There was a moment, a beat, where everyone simply stared at her. The six high lords especially confused.

Then Jacaerys swore. Aegon barely had time to wrap his arms around his husband's neck before Jacaerys swept him up.

"You really should've stayed with Sunfyre," Jacaerys chuckled, adjusting his grip as he held Aegon to his chest, one arm around his waist, the other beneath his knees.

It clicked in Aegon's head as Jacaerys carried him through the door. He groaned, ducking his head, "We're very dumb."

"We'd have figured it out eventually," Jacaerys said, nodding for Aemond and the knights to lead the way outside. Back to where Sunfyre was resting in the courtyard, still shaking the windows of the castle with his roars each time Aegon screamed.

"She'd probably be hatched by now if I hadn't left him," Aegon groaned. He gulped down air, eyes fluttering as another contraction rippled through his body. They grew closer together each time. And longer.

It passed just as they walked into the courtyard. Night had descended properly now. Torches had been lit. Guards were scrambling to set up defensive positions around the area as Ser Harrold shouted orders.

The king and his lords made a semi-circle around Aegon, facing him as he leaned back against Sunfyre once more. The golden dragon cooed, head resting on his claw as he watched his rider settle at his side. Jacaerys knelt beside Aegon, arm around shoulders. His head tilted up.

Vhagar was circling the castle.

"Send word to the Dragon Pit," Jacaerys looked to his mother, eyes wide, "If they try to keep them in..." Rhaenyra nodded, and with a quick look to the king, she was gone.

Swallowing thickly, Aegon breathed deeply. His mother knelt on his other side, whispering quiet encouragement as his chest rose and fell in as measured of breaths as he could manage. Gerardys pulled up the hem of the birthing gown. The maester paled.

Even through the fabric, the golden lines were growing brighter. Splitting, fracturing over his skin. Aegon tossed his head back as one of them slashed downward, between his legs. Jacaerys bowed, pressing kisses to Aegon's head as their hands laced together.

"The egg is cracking," Helaena breathed out, eyes fluttering as the air filled with the shrieks of dragons. There was a loud roar from Vermax as he stood behind Sunfyre, wings going wide.

Above them all, the sky was soon filled with dragons as well. Wings flapping in near tandem as they all circled the castle, flying at different heights, at different speeds. A cloud of many colors, swirling above the city, just visible in the light cast by thousands of torches.

The ground rumbled as a grey dragon, still muzzled, landed in the courtyard. The Cannibal pulled his wings in to his side. He sat back, eyes bright, and watched. Neither Vermax nor Sunfyre so much as grumbled at his appearance.

"I don't think we need an egg for her cradle," Aegon gasped out, laughing through clenched teeth as Gerardys shoved the birthing gown up past his waist. Jacaerys' throat bobbed, gaze flicking to the dragon only briefly before he focused wholly on the maester's face.

"You are, uh, fully dilated, my prince," Gerardys cleared his throat, glancing over his shoulder at the various official witnesses. Most of which were now various shades of green.

Laenor had pulled Joffrey and Daeron off to the side. Aemond quickly joined him, face burning. The king, his vassals, and Helaena were the only ones who remained in place.

Even Daemon had found a reason to flee. Nominally, to inform the Small Council of the recent development.

"It's time to push now," Alicent kissed Aegon's forehead. She took his hand, squeezing it, as Jacaerys fretted on his other side. Knights all around the courtyard were fidgeting awkwardly as Aegon grunted.

The dragons went quiet. Their shrieks silent, their wings still. They were gliding through the air. Only Aegon's cursing was audible.

It was mere minutes then, before the sound of a baby's cry broke through. Aegon gasped, crying as Gerardys lifted the child into his view.

She was covered in the same reddish mucus as any newly born babe. Eyes still shut, tiny fingers curled in to fists as she struggled in the maester's arms.

Jacaerys laughed, voice cracked as he reached for her, "She's gorgeous." Aegon nodded, sobbing softly as he stared at her face. Tears fell from his eyes. Then he gasped, eyes squeezing shut as he winced.

The maester startled back as the golden lines that had spread over Aegon's body faded. Taking the slit that had appeared between his legs with them.

Aegon took a slow breath and struggled to sit up. Jacaerys shifted, kneeling beside him with their daughter in his arms. She was settling, cries now soft, barely whines.

"I knew you were going to be a daddy's girl, didn't I, Aemma?" Aegon traced a finger over her face. He chuckled, eyes focused only on her. Jacaerys raised his head, gaze flicking over their family.

Alicent had stiffened at the name, eyes fluttering, but the broad smile on her face remained undisturbed. The same could not be said for the king, who was furrowing his brow. His mouth fell open.

"Congratulations, your grace," Lord Stark cleared his throat. He blinked, meeting Jacaerys' gaze briefly before he turned to the other lords, "It would appear our job is done. I believe we should give the princes some privacy now."

Lady Tyrell jumped on that, making shooing motions towards the Red Keep, "Yes, as Lord Stark said. This is a private moment, meant for family."

Gerardys pulled the birthing gown back down and Aegon shifted, with another wince, to face towards Jacaerys. His mother moved closer, supporting his back. Rhaenyra approached from behind Jacaerys.

"She's beautiful, little brother, well done," Rhaenyra smiled at Aegon, lashes fluttering as she wiped at the tears forming in her eyes.

"Is she suppose to look like that?" Joffrey wrinkled his nose from beside her, stepping backwards after peaking over his brother's shoulder. Laenor chuckled, shaking his head as he knelt beside Jacaerys to help him swaddle the babe.

Daeron, who was still looking pointedly up at the sky, was the one to answer him, "She'll look less gross once she's clean."

A low growl from across the yard reminded everyone that the Cannibal was still there. The beast was looking up though. Vermax snapped at him as one of the dragons above them descended.

Pale wings brought one of the smallest dragons down to the ground. Rhaneyra frowned, straightening, "That's Arrax."

Sunfyre huffed, head twisting around to encircle Aegon. Alicent shrieked as she found herself within the crook of the golden dragon's neck. Vermax took several steps, planting himself between Sunfyre and the Cannibal as Arrax landed.

"He wasn't suppose to fly back..." Laenor frowned and strolled towards the dragon, helping Lucerys down from the saddle as the young man stumbled. They whispered quietly, with Lucerys handing his father a notebook as they crossed the yard.

Arrax stuck close to his rider, casting looks back towards the grey dragon muzzled nearby. Vermax snickered, settling beside Sunfyre. The younger dragon whined, approaching slowly until he was tucked beneath a green wing.

"He refused to land when we first arrived," Lucerys offered a tight smile, which brightened as he noticed the bundle in his brother's arms. "She's here?!"

"Princess Aemma felt the need to upstage her uncle's arrival twofold, obviously," Aemond drawled, glancing from Lucerys to Daeron with a smirk. Both boys flushed. Daeron's chin finally lowered, eyes flicking briefly towards the baby. His face paled and he quickly looked away again.

Clearing her throat, Alicent squeaked, "We ought to move inside now. Get Aemma and Aegon cleaned up." Her wide eyes blinked slowly and she stood stiffly, trying not to touch the dragon that had locked her in beside her son.

"I would suggest rest for you, my prince," Gerardys told him simply, already standing slightly outside their cluster. His lips were pursed as he spoke, "Despite the... quick closure, I expect you'll be sore for some time. Not to mention the other changes your body may be... unchanging."

"She'll be hungry soon too," Helaena hummed and turned towards the door. She hooked an arm in to her father's. Viserys continued to stand, mouth hanging open, rooted to the ground. Helaena's gentle steps led him away. His eyes fluttered. Still, he managed no words.

Slowly, the various Targaryens filtered inside. Jacaerys carried Aegon, with Aemma nestled carefully in his arms. The future queen of Westeros was swaddled in a red blanket and the warmth of both her fathers as she entered the Red Keep for the first time.

Chapter Text

Daemon ushered the lords in to the Small Council chamber. Water and wine was offered in equal measure. The Stark boy was the only one who took the water. Daemon watched him closely.

The young lord was of an age with his own girls. While he'd likely seen blood - he'd had to imprison his own uncle to retake his seat when he came of age - Daemon knew well that childbirth was a different sort of trauma to see than death. Cregan Stark was not unfazed by it.

"Your own wife is pregnant, yes, Lord Stark?" Daemon hummed, eyes narrowing as he circled the room. The boy looked up, chin rising. Daemon smirked.

Pride. This was not a man to be toyed with. They were the best sort though.

"You'll certainly appreciate the pain she is undertaking on your behalf better now," Daemon added, hands clasped behind his back. His gaze shifted over the others gathered.

Lady Tyrell's expression was pinched and she drank slowly from her goblet. Ser Joffrey Arryn drank deeply from his. The Lady Arryn's likely successor, Joffrey was a man who had twice helped put down attempts by his lady cousin's rivals to depose her.

These three, Daemon knew, were on their side. Even if the Arryns had no love for him, they would not oppose Rhaenyra, or her heirs.

Lord Lannister was another matter. Jason was a man with many mistresses, and even more daughters. His brother was the shrewd one. The dangerous one. The Lord of Casterly Rock looked almost haunted, eyes wide and face pale. It was a look mirrored by the Lords Baratheon and Tully. Both of them fathers as well.

Three on their side, three against.

Those were odds Daemon could work with. Paper was brought in. The servants laid writing utensils before each of the six.

"You ought to write down what you witnessed," Daemon gestured towards the paper, bowing his head slightly as he smiled as best he could, "While it's still fresh."

He reached for the wine himself now, turning his back on them all to stare out the window. His throat bobbed. Daemon squeezed his eyes shut and did his best to sink into the chorus of dragon songs trickling in from outside. They were starting to settle. Even Vhagar.

"Prince Daemon," a voice pulled him back, The Arryn knight cleared his throat, "If I may ask..." Daemon waved him onward. "...that dragon, the one that came down before the princess was born. Why did it have a muzzle?"

Daemon blinked. He'd left before any dragon had come into the courtyard, but... there was only one dragon with a muzzle.

"Yes, none of the other dragons have a muzzle," Lannister wrinkled his nose and straightened in his seat.

"The only dragon who wears a muzzle is a wild dragon - one of three that came from Dragonstone, drawn here to witness the birth of the princess, like all the others."

Daemon explained with a few hand gestured and what could be called a bland expression. He was trying anyway.

"We call it the Cannibal." Daemon paused, smirking as he watched the color drain from Lannister's face, "I'm sure you can figure out why."

They all stilled. Stark's eyes widened, head tilting, "And you... allow it to live? A threat such as this?"

With a shrug, Daemon sat, lounging in his brother's chair at the head of the table, "I'm not in the business of kinslaying. The Cannibal is a dragon, same as I am."

He raised his glass in a mock toast. None of them moved to join him.

"Should he get too close to the princess, I have no doubt her fathers will deal with it." Daemon chuckled, sipping his wine, "Or... Vermax will. Always raring for a fight that one."

"Prince Aegon said..." Stark's brows knit together, head shaking, "He said she wouldn't need an egg for her cradle, when the beast landed."

"Uh... Prince Daemon?" Lannister leaned away as Daemon started to laugh.

His head fell to the table, hand slamming on the wood repeatedly as it bubbled out. The room filled with his hysterics. The Arryn knight actually stood to put distance between them.

"Claimed a dragon at birth!" Daemon shrieked. Tears appeared at the corner of his eyes, a grin as wide as his cheeks. He raised his head, taking deep breaths as his hands went wide, "The Cannibal no less!"

They all watched him, eyes wide. Stark's lips twitching in to a grin and Lannister grimaced. With a final gasp of breath, and a quick flick of his thumb over his eyes, Daemon chuckled lightly.

"I cannot wait to see this child fight," Daemon leaned back in his chair, smile broad, "The Conqueror himself wouldn't stand against such a power."

His eyes flicked over the six once more.

Baratheon was nodding along. His eyes narrowed on the statement he'd already begun. Tully was outright smiling.

"To our future queen, then," Tully raised his glass. They all followed his example. Lannister swallowed his wine thickly.

Five to their side then. And the sixth one tempted. Daemon grinned into his cup. He hadn't even done anything yet. Not truly. He'd have to congratulate his nephew later, for his accidental statescraft.

Busy giving birth and still shoring up his daughter's claim. Otto would be proud, if he weren't such a cunt.

-.-.-

Aemma was the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen. His eyes watered just looking at her. Aegon whined when one of the maids approached to take her, to clean her up.

"You can hold her, my prince," the maid smiled and raised a damp cloth, "but you'll need to move the blanket.

Jace had to help him. The soreness Aegon had become accustomed to had spread to every muscle in his body. He felt like even his fingers weighed as much as a boulder. Aemma, however, was a feather.

"She stills looks vaguely mushy," Joffrey said once he'd crawled across the bed to sit beside Aegon. Jace shoved him away from where he knelt beside Aegon, opposite his brother.

"It's from the birth," Daeron called from over by the door. He'd stopped staring at his shoes when the maid had cleaned her up. Still hadn't managed another step.

Aegon grinned as his little brother rambled on about what was surely a well-researched list of things that made babies look a particular way.

A particular way that apparently freaked his brother out. With a laugh, Aegon called him over, "I don't think she bites yet, Daeron, come."

"She doesn't have teeth..." Daeron mumbled, dragging his feet. Aemond rolled his eyes and took two steps from where he stood at the end of the bed to grab Daeron's arm. He yelped, "I can walk by myself!"

"Not well enough obviously," Aemond dragged him over. Daeron's eyes widened as he caught sight of her.

His shoulders sagged, and he sighed, "Oh, okay, that's much less terrifying than I was imagining."

Luke snorted from his spot, perched on the corner of the bed across from Aemond. He leaned across the space to arch a brow, "She's a baby, surely you weren't imagining anything horrific?"

"Actually, some dragonlords were born with abnormalities, like wings and scales and tails and -"

Daeron snapped his mouth shut as everyone stared at him. He pursed his lips and Aegon laughed again. His head turned to look up at Jace, "We should take him to Dragonstone with us, when we return. He'll never leave the library."

No one missed the way Daeron perked up at that. Aemond slung an arm over his younger brother's shoulder. He shook him lightly, waving towards Jace and Aegon with his other hand, "You'll have to put up with these two idiots. My condolences to your ears."

"Don't worry, I'll show you all the good quiet spots, uncle!" Joffrey pipped up, grinning madly. He was nearly sitting on Aegon at this point, face hovering over Aemma's even as he looked at Daeron.

It was a sentiment Aegon could understand. He found that Aemma's every tiny movement fascinated him too. His daughter was sleeping in his arms, breaths even and light. A tiny fist was pressed to his chest, tiny fingers caught in his shirt.

Tears prickled at his eyes again. Jace kissed the top of his head. Aegon hiccupped.

"Alright, you've all gotten to look," Jace stood up. He waved their brothers out, physically picking up Joffrey as his youngest brother whined, "Egg needs to rest. You can come back in the morning."

A quick whisper was exchanged, between Jace and Luke. They hovered in the doorway with Aemond. Aegon didn't catch the way his husband's shoulders tensed. He was far too consumed with Aemma. She was starting to squirm, whimpering as she nuzzled against his chest. A little huff that Aegon decided looked exactly like Jace when he was frustrated.

His chest ached at the sound. And not just from how much he loved her.

Aegon swallowed thickly. It was the proper thing, to have a wetnurse. His mother had gone in search of one even, while Rhaenyra and Helaena saw to the king. He should wait. Should do what every queen and princess of Westeros had done before him.

"Help me with my clothes, please," Aegon looked towards the maid who'd cleaned Aemma.

She'd hovered in the background, cleaning up the books and goblets and other nonsense that Aegon had been amusing himself with as late while confined mostly to this bed.

A fresh night shirt and a pair of shorts were fetched. She helped pull the birthing gown from his body. It stuck to the muck and sweat between his legs.

Aemma cooed when Aegon held her to his bare chest. One arm beneath her and the other cradling her head. She latched almost immediately.

Jace's head whipped around when Aegon gasped. His eyes fluttered as Aemma nursed. Aegon didn't stop her. He merely adjusted his hold as the maid worked to clean him up now. A damp rag taken to his thighs with vigor before Aegon stepped into the shorts held open for him.

"We should change the sheets as well," the maid whispered as Jace returned. Her head bowed respectfully and a smile playing at her lips as Aegon hummed lightly. The maid handed him Aegon's shirt and went to work as Jace guided Aegon towards a cushioned chair in the corner.

"Thought you didn't want to breastfeed?" Jace asked, kneeling in front of Aegon as Aemma suckled greedily. His hands rubbed lightly at Aegon's thighs, moving up to his hips as Aegon sunk deeper into the chair.

"I know," Aegon flushed, voice cracking. He ducked his head. "It's silly of me."

Scoffing, Jace raised a hand to cup Aegon's jaw. His thumb grazed over his cheek and Aegon blushed at the heat in his husband's eyes.

Tears rolled down his face as Aegon laughed. The sound cracking as he spoke, "I don't want to stop holding her." He nuzzled against the hand holding his face before dropping a kiss to the top of his daughter's head.

"Then don't," Jace rose up, leaning forward to kiss the back of Aemma's head. He kissed Aegon next, peppering his face before resting their foreheads together.

They both looked down at the pale-skinned, mushy-face babe who burrowed against Aegon's chest when she'd drank her fill. Aegon shifted her around, bringing Aemma's head higher to rest against his collar bone.

"She seems quite content to stay in your arms forever," Jace whispered, hand moving to stroke at the top of her head as he grinned, "I can relate."

Aegon nodded, chuckling softly as he traced a finger around Aemma's face. His voice cracked again, "I've never held anything so precious before." He bit at his lip as his gaze rose.

"Yeah," Jace whispered, eyes still focused wholly on the babe. His jaw clenched. Aegon's eyes fluttered as his husband promised, "No one's every going to hurt you, Aemma." The hand at Aegon's hip flexed, holding tighter, as dark eyes held his, "Either of you."

Nodding slowly, Aegon leaned closer, kissing him lightly, "We'll protect her."

Their mouths remained together, lingering as they simply breathed, trading the air in their lungs back and forth. Aegon hummed, bumping his nose against Jace's.

"And each other," Aegon added firmly, finally pulling away. "I love you," Aegon smiled and Jace grinned, face flushing pink. Always so pleased to hear it. So Aegon said it again.

The door clicked quietly as the maid departed. Their room would be quiet of their usual sounds, but soft cries and whispered devotions still filter through. Just loud enough to have one of the knights standing guard dabbing at their eyes.

Chapter Text

Rhaenyra was not shocked by her father's reaction. She had not been expecting it, but... perhaps she should have.

"Helaena," Rhaenyra called out to her sister as she approached the king's room. She frowned as Helaena bowed her head, curtsy automatic. "How is the king?"

"Drinking," Helaena hummed simply, shrugging. Her head tilted, eyes grazing over the floor, "The princess?"

At that Rhaenyra could not help but smile, face splitting, "Beautiful. You ought to go see her, before her many uncles spoil her rotten."

"Tomorrow," Helaena blinked, eyes rising, "She's hungry now. As she always will be." Rhaenyra's eyes fluttered as Helaena walked past her, "It is not my presence that will comfort the king."

As odd as her sister could be, Rhaenyra knew she was often right. A fact Aegon grumbled about with an unconvincing annoyance. When she slipped in to her father's room, Rhaenyra found him seated not by his model, but by the window.

He was staring out over the courtyard. There was a goblet and a pitcher of wine sat on a table beside him.

Vermax and Sunfyre lay together, Arrax curled into Vermax's side. The Cannibal had moved closer. He remained coiled by himself however, a few yards away from the other three dragons. Bigger than all of them. Bigger even than Syrax.

"One of the largest and wildest dragons," Rhaenyra touched her father's shoulder lightly as she approached, squeezing as her eyes shifted from the dragons to him, "Our young princess will fear nothing with him as a mount."

"Yes," Viserys croaked, voice shaking. He looked older than he had when Rhaenyra arrived. The lines and wrinkles that had soften during Aegon's pregnancy had returned with a vengeance. He took a breath, sobbing as he added, "Only the best for Aemma."

Rhaenyra stood silently as he bowed his head, burying it in his hands. She pursed her lips as he cried out.

"Why would he name her this?" Viserys shook his head, "Does my son aim to hurt me? Surely he knows-"

"Aegon knows that my mother was a strong and dutiful woman," Rhaenyra crouched before her father. She furrowed her brow as she looked up at him, "But the name was Jace's idea, to honor the grandmother he never met."

Viserys shook his head still, eyes watering as he looked away, "This is cruelty. An attack at me, for my initial disapproval."

"To name their much-loved daughter after a much-loved queen with whom she shares blood?" Rhaenyra arched a brow. She placed her hands lightly on her father's knees, careful of any injury she might be unaware of.

The king did not turn his head to look at her. His gaze was fixed on the window. Full of sorrow.

"Aegon asked me, before he ever left Dragonstone, if the name would upset me," Rhaenyra told him, voice quiet. At this Viserys' attention snapped to her.

"Why would you not deny him?"

With a snort, Rhaenyra laughed, "The only one more stubborn than my own son is yours, father." The frown on his face deepened and Rhaenyra sighed. "He said it felt like her name."

Aegon was apprehensive about it. Her reaction, his mother's. It was funny, she'd joked that it was chosen to gain the king's favor and Aegon had laughed at her. He was right.

"It is her name," Rhaenyra smiled up at him, "I am glad that she will carry it, that the second ruling queen of Westeros will bare the name of the woman who gave me life."

Viserys startled, eyes fluttering. His lips pursed tightly.

"Can you not already tell how great she will be?" Rhaenyra asked, leaning forward, practically begging before him. "The first Targaryen born of dragon magic, the very legacy of Valyria. She's only just arrived and already she has brought the wildest dragon in all of Westeros to heel."

"Yes," Viserys nodded, throat bobbing. Tears slid down his face quietly, "The very essence of our words created her: fire, blood." He squeezed his eyes shut, "But I had hoped..." his head shook, "Aegon's pregnancy, to see him. It was the first time I was not haunted by her death. And now..."

Rhaenyra bit her lip. She knew of all the suggestions her father had heard, before the birth. All the options he'd considered.

"They named her Aemma to honor my mother," Rhaenyra took his hands. She forced eye contact, jaw tight, "If you choose only to see her ghost, your life will be sadder for it." She stood.

Her father did not release her hands until she pulled them from his grasp. Viserys choked on his next breath, a sob echoed through the room.

"The tourney, to celebrate Aemma's birth begins tomorrow, your grace," Rhaenyra reminded him as she approached the door. She turned.

It was a hard thing, to see her father weakened, to see him crumbling. He curled inward, sobs raking through his body viciously.

"It will be one for the history books, I'm sure."

-.-.-

There was no rest for Daemon that night. He had the maesters copying the lords' statements down. In the morning, they would each afix their sigil to the letters, each sign their name.

It was the first step, the first defense against the army rising in the west. He glowered at the map. Luke had provided further details, identified the banners of houses from the Reach and the Westerlands. A few even from the Riverlands.

"The High Septon is a cunt," Daemon said by way of greeting when Rhaenyra and Laenor entered his solar. He'd summoned them, feeling only slightly guilty for the late hour.

"What's happened now?" Rhaenyra sighed heavily, sinking in to a chair with a deep frown. Laenor matched her, though he perched on the arm rest.

Daemon passed the letter that Beesbury had provided him. "He sent this to every lord paramount." Laenor took it and held it open for himself and Rhaenyra to read. Their jaws dropped open.

"This is treason," Rhaenyra gasped, hand to her chest, head shaking, "A twisting of the faith, at best."

"It's war," Daemon corrected her, scowling at the papers and maps laid out on the low table before him.

The High Septon had called for the death of Aegon and his child. Though he hadn't used those words.

"And there are forces already gathering," Laenor groaned, rubbing at his head, "This is why you sent Luke to scout along the Gold Road." Daemon nodded.

"I had thought to be careful, with Hightower out of our sight, but this is a bigger issue than just him," Daemon reached for his goblet, eyes squeezing shut.

Rhaenyra stood then, arms crossing, "Our best chance at avoiding bloodshed is to sway the lords."

"Aemma and Aegon have seen to that themselves at least," Daemon chuckled, grinning, "Even Lannister was toasting to her by the time they finished their statements." Rhaenyra arched a brow and Daemon grinned. "Tamed the Cannibal as a babe I hear?"

Laenor chuckled, "He's enamored, that's for sure. I'm not sure that counts as her claiming him though."

Daemon waved his words away. Rhaenyra swallowed thickly.

"Where's the queen?" Rhaenyra looked pointedly at Daemon and he startled.

"I would assume in bed," Daemon answered. Both he and Laenor furrowed a brow as Rhaenyra called for a servant.

"Why are you summoning the queen?" Laenor asked her, arms crossing.

Rhaenyra huffed, "My father did nothing when that letter was sent. Even now, we only know of the threat rising against us because Daemon thought to check."

Her voice trembled, hands shaking.

"If he will not act, we will, and we will need Alicent's help to do it."

Chapter 18

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

It wasn't yet dawn when she and Rhaenyra crossed the hall to their sons' room. Alicent had expected them to be asleep. There'd been no crying from their room throughout the night, but the night before had gone long. For Aegon especially.

"You're awake?" Rhaenyra startled back from the door when she opened it. Alicent slipped past her. The doors between the receiving room and the bedroom were open, as always it seemed, and Aegon was propped up in bed, nursing. She smiled softly.

"She was hungry again," Aegon shrugged, whispering softly. Jacaerys was curled around him, one arm around Aegon's waist and face pillowed in his lap. He glanced down, "Do we need to wake him?"

Rhaenyra pursed her lips and nodded, "Yes. I had hoped to let you rest and only bother Jace about this actually." Aegon adjusted his hold on Aemma and touched lightly at his husband's face. Jacaerys whined, eyes fluttering.

"That you're both here so early doesn't bode well," Jacaerys grumbled, running a hand through his hair. He pressed a kiss to Aegon's cheek as he sat up. Then another to Aemma's forehead.

Despite the realities looming around them, Alicent could not help by smile broadly at the affection Jacaerys showed so freely to her son.

"There's an army preparing to march on King's Landing, following the order of the High Septon," Rhaenyra clasped her hands together tightly, fingers sliding over her rings as she broke the news. Alicent had never managed to shift her bad habit towards such a distraction. Her cuticles were already bloody before Rhaenyra finished, "He called for Aegon to be killed, and the babe. Sent ravens about a week ago."

Aegon's eyes widened, shoulders stiff. Aemma whined in his arms and he startled. Immediately, he held her closer, shushing lightly even as his voice shook.

"A week?" Jacaerys narrowed his eyes, shifting to wrap an arm around Aegon. He pulled him closer. He wasn't surprised by the army bit, she noticed. Alicent raised a brow.

"Yes," Rhaenyra swallowed, lips pursing, "Daemon found out last night and he informed me." The sound of her rings tapping together filled the room. "The king had decided to wait, to see if the... good will of the tourney might sway the lords."

"That doesn't explain why he-"

Alicent cleared her throat, cutting off Jacaerys. Her eyes wide, brows high, she looked at him pointedly, "The king's judgement has grown... compromised as late. With his sickness."

"And the medicines required to deal with his pain," Rhaenyra added on. They both stared at the two boys - the two men - sitting in the bed. Their expressions twisted in confusion.

It was Aegon who blinked first, "You're establishing a regency, aren't you?" Eyes fluttering, Jacaerys looked from Aegon to his mother.

"Daemon will discuss it with him after the tourney," Rhaenyra nodded, lips pursing tightly.

"You'll have to stay in King's Landing then," Jacaerys slipped off the bed, walking closer, arms crossed. He remained at the foot of the bed, positioning himself between his mother and Aegon. His head tilted, "That doesn't explain why you're here at dawn."

With a smile, Alicent nodded towards Aemma, "The tourney is to celebrate the new princess. Her arrival on its eve means we can... emphasize that, even further."

"You want to announce her name," Jacaerys swallowed. He glanced back at Aegon. His hand gripped the footboard, knuckles going white.

"And her house," Rhaenyra emphasized, brow quirking up. Alicent pursed her lips. Rhaenyra was staring at her son, gaze hard. Jacaerys looked only at Aegon.

Crossing the room, Alicent moved to stand beside Aegon. Aemma was still squirming. Her hand moved to Aegon's shoulder. He was tense. Afraid.

"Your father's plan - to have the lords swear fealty, to announce her birth with their signatures and marks - it was a good one. We are simply... speeding it up," Alicent assured him. He nodded mutely.

"You think it will work?" Jacaerys asked her, gaze lifting to her face.

His expression was raw, open. Wide eyes full of desperation. Unblinking.

He would burn the kingdom to save Aegon, she was sure of that now. It was as plain on his face as the strong jaw and the brown eyes.

Any such defense would require that he leave Aegon though. Leave Aegon alone, in King's Landing or Dragonstone. He'd have to leave Aegon to defend him, leave Aemma.

"I do," Alicent told him, and then she looked back down at her son. She cupped his chin. "The lords were quite moved by her arrival. Daemon said your comment about her claiming a dragon at birth sent them into a proper silence, all of them were quite impressed."

A smile cracked his face and Aegon ducked his head to kiss Aemma's forehead. He still shook beneath her hand.

"She is impressive," Aegon whispered. He looked up at his husband through his lashes. There was a little movement, a motion not dissimilar from a nod.

It was aimed at Rhaenyra.

"You'll accept what I choose? For her house?" Jacaerys turned finally to his mother. He rolled his shoulders back, standing tall.

Rhaenyra straightened. She took a breath, nodded, "It's your name. She's your daughter."

"I don't want to give up the Velaryon name," Jacaerys told her. Rhaenyra's forehead wrinkled and her lip twitched, but she did not speak. "But I understand the importance that we remain a Targaryen dynasty."

There was a shuffle from the bed and Alicent saw Aegon raise his chin out of the corner of her eye. His gaze was focused on Rhaenyra as Jacaerys told her the name, watching her face closely.

Jacaerys wasn't the only one ready to defend their family.

"Both names," Jacaerys explained as Rhaenyra's eyes fluttered, "I'd thought we could add something to our family banner, a nod to the Velaryon heritage."

Alicent hummed, drawing his gaze, "The name we can do. The banner..."

She petted at Aegon's hair, hand still resting on his shoulder. He'd started to relax under her touch when Rhaenyra had agreed. Aemma quieted.

"...banners take time," Alicent concluded. Jacaerys shrugged. She chuckled, "We plan to announce her name and send out ravens containing copies of the lords' witness statements at the beginning of the tourney."

Jacaerys blinked, "The tourney starts today." Rhaenyra bit her lip. She glanced at Alicent, brow furrowed.

"Painted shields perhaps?" Rhaenyra suggested. Alicent nodded.

That was doable. They'd simply need to keep the new design simple. Something that could be added to the shields already painted with the Targaryen dragon.

A cry from Aemma brought all their eyes back to the bed, to her. Aegon shifted her in his arms, holding her against his chest, her face to his shoulder.

The blanket fell away. Silver hair blended into her pale skin, but it shimmered in the candle light. Aegon hummed against the side of her head, bouncing her just slightly.

A knock at the door echoed into the room. Helaena did not wait for an answer. With a soft smile, she walked into the room.

"Knocking requires waiting, Hel, we've discussed..." Aegon drawled, rolling his eyes. Alicent chuckled as Helaena ignored him. She approached the side of the bed, a bundle in her arms.

"Hello Aemma," Helaena ducked closer to whisper to her neice. Little lashes fluttered. Helaena glanced towards Jacaerys, "I see she has your eyes, nephew." He blushed, nodding.

"Daeron said babies eyes can change color though," Jacaerys repeated one of the facts her youngest had spit out while trying to distract Aegon during his labor.

Alicent arched a brow as Aegon scoffed, "I'll believe that when I see it."

"What is that?" Rhaenyra asked, stepping closer. Her gaze was focused on the bundle Helaena was holding out to Aemma. It was some sort of folded fabric.

"I stitched you a blanket," Helaena answered, speaking to Aemma. She unfurled the bundle, holding it up to her niece as if waiting for the babe's approval.

Jacaerys' jaw dropped and Aegon's eyes widened. Alicent and Rhaenyra were behind her. The large square baby blanket was just a block of black fabric on their side.

When they walked around, that was not the case. Red stitching ran across the dark fabric. A large dragon with three heads, curled in to a circle. Three waves joined it. The first crossing at the top of dragon's tail and the last just beneath the last tips of it's tail.

"Three is a lucky number, in our family," Helaena said lightly. She glanced down at the blanket. "Three dragons established House Targaryen on the Iron Throne, and three more shall continue it."

Aemma gave a tiny cry, hands reaching up. Helaena giggled and closed the blanket.

"I am glad you like it, my princess," Helaena smiled at her niece. Alicent and Rhaenyra exchanged a look over her shoulder.

-.-.-

Lord Lannister was the last to affix his seal to the letters prepared. Daemon waited until he finished to raise his cup. Lady Tyrell, Ser Arryn, and the four lords gathered all followed his example.

"May your words halt the swords gathering in the Westerlands," Daemon toasted as the servants gathered up the letters. Ravens would fly with the rising sun.

They all drank. Lannister with every eye in the room on him. Stark drained his cup and then narrowed his eyes on Daemon.

"What swords?"

It was with great glee, and a chuckle, that Daemon informed the room of the host gathering and the list of banners Lucerys had provided. He did not tell them which banners had been seen.

"I do believe the High Septon has forgotten what the words of House Targaryen are," Daemon drawled, eyebrow arching as he looked sideways at Lannister, "I do hope he's the only one. I would so hate to have to burn anyone."

With stumbling words, Lannister excused himself, to send a few personal correspondence. He chuckled, throat bobbing as he bowed his head to Daemon, "My brother will be overjoyed to hear of the princess' arrival."

"Anyone else need to send a raven?" Daemon quirked a brow. Tully and Baratheon shuffled their feet, but remained.

"Did your Prince Lucerys see any roses in the banners of this host?" Lady Tyrell asked pointedly, chin rising. Daemon shook his head and she nodded, "Good. I won't have to order any executions then."

Daemond grinned, laughing loudly. Even Stark's lips twitched up. In moments, the lords all left to their chambers. Or their champions.

There was a tourney to win after all. Bets to place. Lady Tyrell remained, gaze hard on Daemon, pining him to his seat.

It was only when they were alone that she spoke, "This host, gathering against the princess-"

"Against the royal family," Daemon corrected, eyes narrowing, "Threaten one, you threaten us all."

"As you say," Tyrell hummed, head tilting to the side, "Will they be given a chance to disperse? To return to their lands and castles before the dragon fire rains down on them?"

Eyebrow arching, Daemon pursed his lips, "That remains to be decided. I believe the king hopes to avoid the dragon fire entirely."

"The king can keep his hope," Tyrell scoffed and rose, "I want the names of every house from the Reach that gathered for this nonsense."

"I thought you didn't want to order any executions?" Daemon stood as well. His hands clasped behind his back, he watched as the Lady Tyrell raised her chin.

Her face was stone. Eyes ice.

"That remains to be decided." Tyrell spoke, voice as sharp as any thorn. She bowed her head, "Prince Daemon." She left. Same as the others.

Daemon had the distinct impression that he was the one who'd been dismissed.

-.-.-

Cheers rose up from the crowd as they walked in to the royal box. Rhaenyra smiled brightly as she led them to the front. She stood to their left. Alicent stood to the right.

Jacaerys and Aegon stood in the center, Aemma swaddled in red while they wore black. The blanket from Helaena was strategically drapped from Aegon's arms as he held her. Jacaerys wrapped his arm around his husband's waist, hold firm as Aegon swayed beside him.

By rights, he should be in bed, but this was necessary. A few minutes of standing in exchange for peace. For the possibility of avoiding bloodshed. Aegon was set on it.

They'd flown together, on Vermax, landing just inside the tourney grounds. Minimal danger. Both Vermax and Sunfyre lingered nearby. Above them, the grey cloud of the Cannibal passed occasionally as well.

It was safe. Aegon was safe. Aemma was safe. If he repeated that enough Jacaerys might just believe it.

The crowds quieted as Alicent stepped forward. Her voice went wide, regal even, "Welcome!" Aegon stiffened. She raised her chin, "The king and I are overjoyed to announce that our guest of honor for this event arrived just in time to see you all compete!"

"While the king was tired from the excitement, Prince Aegon has managed to join us," Rhaenyra smiled brightly, hands flourishing in their direction.

Aegon managed a wave as the crowds cheered again. His throat bobbed. Jacaerys kissed his cheek.

"I'll take her," Jacaerys whispered in his ear, "You need to sit." It was with careful manuevering that Jacaerys took Aemma, holding her carefully as Alicent took a step closer to help Aegon sit. He hid his wincing badly.

His mother was still talking. Voice booming as she spoke of the legacy and might of House Targaryen, of dragons and the magic of old Valyria.

When Alicent spoke again, she spoke of the blessings of the Mother and the miracles of the Seven.

Jacaerys rocked Aemma slowly, watching her burrow into his arms as he listened. He'd held her only twice before. Far less than Aegon, who couldn't part from her even in sleep. Still, she settled in his arms, content against his chest.

His little girl. A little piece of the love he shared with Aegon, living and breathing, wrapped up in his arms.

It was a short moment before he had to speak. Their mothers had kept it short. For Aegon, and for the tourney. The crowd was captivated by the announcement, yes, but attention spans were only so long.

"Prince Aegon once said that seahorses are the dragons of the sea," Jacaerys spoke with conviction, chest rumbling.

A chuckle followed his words, echoed in the crowd. Behind him, Helaena's gift spread over his lap, Aegon smiled at him. Jacaerys didn't need to see it to feel his gaze on the back of his head.

"I am proud to carry on two Valyrian blood lines - the loyalty of House Velaryon and the stubbornnes of House Targaryen as I've been told." He looked pointedly at his mother, smirking as she ducked her head to laugh.

Another round of laughter went through the crowd.

"Our daughter shall carry on the traditions of both houses, and with them, their names," Jacaerys announced. Behind them, Jacaerys heard stirring from where he knew his grandmother sat with Daemon. Silence reigned.

He waited a beat, holding Aemma carefully. Jacaerys angled her face towards the crowd as Alicent had suggested they do. Her silver hair caught the sunlight. With a wrinkle of her nose, her eyes opened to reveal golden brown eyes.

"I present to you, Princess Aemma of the House Velarya Targaryen."

Aemma let out a scream, hands pushing at the blanket swaddling her. The crowd went wild. Jacaerys pulled her back to his chest.

Retreating towards Aegon, Jacaerys let their mothers calm the crowd and start the tournament. Aegon took Aemma back with a shuddering breath and tears that he hid in Jacaerys' chest. Aemma calmed immediately.

They sat together in the central chair, a little throne just big enough for them. Their family banner spread out on their laps as the tourney began. Jacaerys turned his head when he felt a hand squeeze his shoulder. Rhaenys smiled at him from the row behind. He grinned, nodding at her approval.

A knight from Dragonstone won every event in the tournament. Each one with a shield that had their new banner painted on its face - a three-headed dragon and three waves.

Notes:

Fan Art from mourningstorms over on IG/Tumblr. XD

Chapter 19

Notes:

Content Warning: References to post-partum depression in this chapter. Though they aren't calling it that. ^^'

Chapter Text

Aegon never puts Aemma down. In the two weeks since her birth, Rhaenys had not seen Aegon without the babe. Jacaerys might hold her for a few moments, usually while he pushed Aegon into a chair to rest or forced him to eat, but the babe was quickly returned to Aegon's arms. Neither Alicent nor Rhaenyra had held her yet even.

He'd taken her flying on Sunfyre, on Vermax. Had presented her to Vhagar and Vermithor and every other dragon in the pit who had wanted to press their maw lightly to the newest dragon of Westeros. All of it, Aegon did with arms firmly around his baby girl. Any request to hold her met with wide eyes and trembling lips.

It was as if the idea of letting her go physically pained him.

"The king officially signed off on Rhaenyra becoming his regent," Daemon burst into her chambers without preamble. Her door was slammed shut as he muttered about his brother, "He's gotten worse since he saw Aemma again. Rhaenyra thought it might be helpful, but he hasn't gotten out of bed since he saw her face."

Her cousins really were too dramatic for their own good. As Daemon was demonstrating by pacing the length of her receiving room. Hands were flung about. She did not offer him wine out of respect for the maids.

"I mean, really, she has brown eyes, and the same chin as all of Rhaenyra's boys, yet apparently she's the queen reborn, come back to haunt him."

Rhaenys snorted and turned on her couch. She pulled her legs up, curling them beneath her body as she rested an arm over the back of the couch.

"The king may be deluded, but he's certainly not crazy." Rhaenys hummed and Daemon paused in his pacing, brow furrowing. She arched a brow, "Obviously, our dear cousin haunts your brother. Her very memory. As it should, from what you've told me."

Daemon flushed, nodding slowly as his nose wrinkled. His entire face twisted with annoyance, "Well, yes, but what does that have to do with a baby who, at this point, looks more like a potato than his late wife. Even her hair, it's more silver than Aemma's was. Less gold."

"Much like his own hair, or yours, really," Rhaenys frowned as she thought about it. Aegon looked quite a bit like Viserys, had inherited many of his features alongside the soft curves of Alicent's face.

Someone, her mother perhaps, had told her once that the first child always looked the most like the father. That had certainly been true for Alicent's children, and Jacaerys had the least Targaryen features of all Rhaenyra's boys.

Aemma had two fathers though, so perhaps such a tendency wouldn't apply to her. Still. She appeared in court exclusively in Aegon's arms, with Aegon himself wrapped in his husband's. Jacaerys nearly as reluctant to let go of Aegon as Aegon was Aemma.

"Do you think... Did Viserys say anything? When Aegon brought her to see the king?" Rhaenys asked, brows knitting together as her gaze flicked to the floor.

"Jacaerys brought her," Daemon told her, eyes fluttering, "The king muttered something about Aemma - the queen, not the princess - and Jacaerys took her away. Whole thing lasted less than a minute."

Blinking slowly, Rhaenys stared at Daemon, "Jacaerys brought her?" He nodded slowly, shrugging.

"What of if?"

With a snort, Rhaenys stood from her couch, hands on her hips, "To my knowledge, that's the only time the princess has been out of Aegon's sight since she was born."

"Oh," Daemon frowned, head tilting. His lips pursed, "Yes, he waited in the hall, just on the other side of the door. I thought him reluctant to see his father so... weak."

"Viserys has been weak that boy's whole life," Rhaenys huffed, arms crossing. She pinched the bridge of her nose.

"What is it you're worried about, Rhaenys?" Daemon asked, arms flung out once more. His eyes narrowed.

Well, that was a decent question.

Rhaenys hummed, arms folded tightly. Her chin rose. She didn't quite have an answer, unfortunately. Just... a feeling. Something familiar twisting in her chest.

"Cousin?" Daemon took a step closer, lips pulled down severely. He reached for her arm. She did not stop him.

"Did I ever tell you about what I was like, when Laena was a baby?" Rhaenys asked him, lashes fluttering. Daemon startled. He shook his head, eyes wide. "She was my first. Born just after my mother died. I was... emotional, to say the least."

Daemon snorted, smile flashing across his face, "I'm quite sure that's normal for a woman, after giving birth. Laena cried at the drop of a hat after both girls. Literally, actually, with Rhaena."

A smile tugged at Rhaenys' lips and tears collected in her eyes. She blinked them away quickly, "Yes, that's what my midwives told me. The wet nurse. The maester. Even the septa."

His hand squeezed at her arm. A simple comfort. Rhaenys took a breath. Shaky.

"But I nearly flung myself from one of High Tide's towers, a month after she was born," Rhaenys admitted quietly. Daemon's mouth fell open. "It was simply too much."

Her voice was a whisper and tears slid from her eyes despite her best efforts. Rhaenys did not wipe them away. She kept her gaze on Daemon, on his wide eyes and slack jaw.

"I was convinced I wasn't enough," Rhaenys took a shaky breath, lips pursing, "That I would ruin her. Or destroy her." She smiled, tight and watery, "It was... several months, before I was... better. I... never told Corlys. He was away, one of his voyages."

"We Targaryens do like a good secret," Daemon spoke softly. He raised a hand, tentative as he touched her cheek. "You think Aegon's the same?"

"I don't know," Rhaenys cleared her throat.

She stepped back, pulling away from Daemon. She dabbed a handkerchief at her face as he watched her, standing frozen in the center of her room.

"But I slept in her nursery for the first six months. Every moment I wasn't holding her, I was inconsolable, and every moment I was, I couldn't breathe for fear it would harm her." Rhaenys told him bluntly, gaze pointed, "And I was not faced with an army or a king who hated my child."

Aegon had been a sensitive child. Laenor had called him sweet, Rhaenyra had called him clingy. On her visits, Rhaenys remembered him approaching the king with nervous smiles and quiet questions that were typically dismissed without answer.

"His father always rejected him, Daemon," Rhaenys sighed, head tilting. Daemon's lips went tight and he straightened. "How would you feel if your father couldn't even look at your daughter?"

The scowl was answer enough. Daemon would have burned Baelon alive. Or tried to. Her mother had told her, once, while drunk, that her own father threatened much the same when King Jaehaerys had asked if they intended to 'try again' after her birth.

Perhaps there was something about men who rode Caraxes. Rhaenys smiled to herself as Daemon stalked from the room, slamming her door on the way out just as he had on the way in. She wrung her hands.

At her window, Rhaenys could see the docks. The Sea Snake was anchored out in the bay. Just visible in the fog. She raised a hand to the glass, finger tracing the familiar silhouette.

It was that ship, rising on the horizon, that had stilled her feet on that tower. The warm arms of her lord husband that had pulled her back from the brink. His bright smile at the sight of her, of Laena.

The door burst open again and Rhaenys turned her head. Corlys grumbled about idiotic lords and useless deckhands as he entered. She smiled as he approached her, pulling her in to his chest.

"How have you been, my love?" Corlys kissed her cheek with a sigh and Rhaenys sunk into his embrace. She wrapped his arms around her firmly, hands laced with his.

"Just fine," Rhaenys hummed, eyes squeezing shut. He pressed another kiss to her forehead. "Perfectly fine."

Aegon would be fine too. Eventually.

-.-.-

Daemon came up short as he entered the chambers that belonged to Jacaerys and Aegon. The doors from the receiving room into the bedroom were closed. His youngest nephew sat on the floor in front of them. Daeron was leaning against the doors with a book in hand.

"Did you know that House Targaryen had several female dragonlords?" Daeron asked him without looking up. His wavy hair hung around his face, just long enough to obscure his eyes as the boy grinned down at his book. "The first was named Aerea, like the daughter of Queen Rhaena."

That was likely the reason her daughter had been named as such, from what Daemon knew of that particular Targaryen princess.

"Is there a reason you're sitting here like this?" Daemon drawled, crouching down in front of his nephew. The boy finally looked up from his book. His cheeks flushed.

"Um, well, Jace got called to some meeting with his mother," Daeron explained, eyes flicking around nervously. His knees drew up, shoulders tensing, "Aegon said he wanted to be alone though, to sleep."

Arching a brow, Daemon looked at the closed door. Daeron's fingers twitched over the pages of his book.

"Aegon asked me to close them, but Jace told me to stay with Aegon until he got back, so... I figured this was close enough. Since I can hear into the room."

The air in Daemon's lungs seized. He forced a breath as he thought of Rhaenys' words. The windows in the bedchamber didn't open, if Daemon remembered right. And Daeron would have heard if something was amiss.

"Perhaps we ought to check on him?" Daemon suggested, clearing his throat as he stood up.

Daeron paled. He climbed to his feet, holding his book to his chest. Wide eyes looked up at Daemon, "Will Aegon... I don't want to be a bother. He might... I'm not..."

The boy started and stopped a least a half dozen more sentences before Daemon placed a hand on his shoulder. Daeron stilled. He ducked his head. Daemon squeezed lightly, "I'll check on him. Any blame would be mine." He chuckled, "Though I don't think your brother would hold it against you."

Biting his lip, Daeron nodded. He shuffled his feet. Daemon frowned.

"I've seen Helaena walk in without knocking and Aemond complains quite consistently about Aegon's lack of boundaries," Daemon reminded the boy. His nephew wrinkled his nose.

"But I'm not Helaena, or Aemond," Daeron huffed. He scowled at the floor.

Daemon snorted, squeezing his shoulder again. "You're his little brother, just the same." Daeron flushed, nodding slowly.

When he opened the door, Daeron hid behind his back, ducking his head out only when no shout rose up from the bedchamber. Daemon would have found it funny, where he not distracted by Aegon.

Tears streamed down his face quietly as leaned back against the headboard, against a pile of pillows. His head was ducked low. His hiccuping breaths nearly silent.

Aemma was resting against his chest. While the princess was sleeping peacefully, Aegon was very much awake.

"Egg?" Daeron furrowed his brow. He stepped out from behind Daemon fully.

Silver hair flew as Aegon's head snapped up. Eyes wide, breathing heavy. Aemma whined, crying out as Aegon started to shake. His voice cracked, "Yeah?"

There was a thump as Daeron dropped his book. He blew past Daemon, knocking his shoulder. Despite the jostling, Daemon thought the boy had excellent instincts.

In moments, Daeron had climbed on to the bed and wrapped himself around his brother. Aegon was sobbing in ernest now. Daeron frowned, pressing his forehead to Aegon's cheek.

"I don't... Jace can't see me like this," Aegon stuttered out, rocking slightly as Aemma let out a scream. Daeron began to pet his hair and Aegon ducked his head, hiding his face in Daeron's shoulder.

Daemon looked on from the doorway. He hadn't moved. He waited, listening as Aegon sobbed through half sentences.

"I have to be okay." Aegon finally whispered and Daemon stiffened. Daeron turned his head, looking at Daemon with those wide eyes of his.

"You don't have to be anything, Aegon," Daemon managed, swallowing thickly, "You've just given birth. That you and the babe are both here and healthy is already more than enough."

Whether that was the right thing to say or not, Daemon didn't know. Aegon continued to sob. Daeron continued to hold him. And Aemma, who was usually so calm when in her father's arms, continued to scream.

"Find Prince Jacaerys," Daemon ordered one of the knights at the door, retreating from the bedchamber. His throat bobbed as he paced in the receiving room.

When the door banged open, the brunet who raced inside was not Jacaerys. Joffrey, all bouncing curls and energy, was quick to take up residence in the bed opposite Daeron. He curled around Aegon, whispering quiet words of comfort as his brows knit together.

"You're okay, Egg, we won't let anything hurt you," Joffrey told him firmly, cheek pressed to Aegon's shoulder. He raised a hand to the back of Aemma's head. She quieted, slightly, at his touch. "Look, Aemma even likes me now."

There was a wet laugh from Aegon, "Just because she wouldn't still for you in the womb doesn't mean she didn't like you."

"Maybe she just knew I was jealous about there being a new baby," Joffrey hummed, hand rubbing softly at Aemma's back as Aegon clung to his brother. "But now it's better, with her here, and you, and Daeron."

Perhaps it's a Velaryon thing, knowing what to say, because Aegon's sobs were now gasping breaths and Aemma was merely whining softly. Daemon closed his eyes, hands fisting at his side.

"We'll all go back to Dragonstone soon. Jace too, if he's not being too annoying," Joffrey chuckled and Daemon smiled to himself. "None of you have gotten to see the castle when it's snowing yet, and Gerardys said winter is coming soon. It's pretty. We can make snow dragons and show Aemma the hot springs."

"She might be too little for hot springs," Daeron mused, talking for the first time.

Daemon moved towards the door, to watch the three of them. Aegon had one arm around Aemma and a hand fisted in Daeron's shirt. His brother had lain his head over Aegon's, while Joffrey curled around his other side.

Surrounded, encircled. Aegon was cacooned in their embrace. Their warmth. They whispered back and forth about what to do at Dragonstone, when Aemma would be big enough to ride Cannibal.

Smiling fondly, Daemon rubbed at his chest. The tightness in his lungs gave way as Aegon sniffled. He took a slow, suttering breath as Aemma whimpered.

"I'm sorry," Aegon whispered, "I'm being stupid." Joffrey shrugged and Daeron hummed.

"One of the books I read in Oldtown said that there are these levels, in a woman's body, that change when she's pregnant," Daeron told him, lips puckering, "The maester who wrote the book thought that when women gave birth, the levels could change again, really drastically, and that was why women are more emotional after, cause the levels are fluctuating and it shocks their body."

There was a huff, "Are you saying I'm overreacting because I have too many emotions right now?"

"I don't think there's such a thing as an overreaction when someone raises an army just because you have a baby," Daeron shrugged, face flushing again. Joffrey snorted.

"Yeah, I'd cry way more," Joffrey muttered. He lifted his face from Aegon's arm, "Have you considered that maybe you're underreacting?"

Daeron swatted Joffrey's shoulder, shushing him. Aegon laughed. His eyes fluttered open.

"I'm not afraid of the army," Aegon whispered.

He craddled Aemma, pulling her away from his chest. She whined, shifting about in his hold. A grumble of protest. Aegon ran a finger down her cheek and she settled.

"She is kinda frightening..." Daeron mumbled, leaning away slightly. He grinned nervously when Aegon arched his brow. With a huff, and red cheeks, Daeron admitted, "Babies are scary. And tiny. But mostly scary." Joffrey rolled his eyes.

"He's not wrong," Daemon pipped up and Aegon looked up at him. His eyes widened, just as Daeron's did. Nearly identical expressions that had Daemon chuckling, "Children in general are quite terrifying."

Joffrey whined, "But they're so cute! How can you be terrifying when you're cute?!"

"Dragons are cute," Daeron said, chin rising, "And most people think they're terrifying." Joffrey just wrinkled his nose at that.

Arms folded, Daemon stepped forward. He leaned against one of the columns at the end of the bed, "Dragons are terrifying because they're strong. Children are terrifying because they're not."

Eyes fluttered. Daeron and Joffrey both tilted their heads, brows furrowed. Aegon nodded slowly.

"It's rather difficult to harm a dragon," Daemon hummed, keeping eye contact with Aegon, "But children... babies... They're fragile. Every move, every action, every word - it all feels... heavier, when directed at your child. It holds more weight, more danger."

"She's perfect," Aegon breathed out, chest heaving, "And I'm not." Tears slid down his cheeks again, "I've always been useless. At everything."

Daemon snorted, head shaking. He didn't break eye contact. He leaned forward, forcing Aegon to keep it as well. "I would vehemently disagree with that statment. As would your husband I'd wager."

"Who said you were useless?" Joffrey scowled, eyes narrowing. He hugged Aegon's side, "Tyraxes isn't as picky an eater as Syrax, I'm sure he'd like a snack."

Aegon squeezed his eyes closed, laughing lightly. Beside him, Daeron fidgeted, petting at his hair again. His lips pursed tight.

"Otto Hightower has always been a cunt," Daemon scoffed, frowning as Daeron nodded sharply.

There was a whine from Aemma and Aegon eyes snapped open. Two damp circles appeared on his shirt.

"I need to feed Aemma," Aegon leaned back against the pillows, reaching for the ties of his shirt.

Joffrey lingered for a moment, frowning, even as Daeron reluctantly climbed from the bed. Daemon waited until both boys had passed him. With a sigh, Daemon pushed off from the column as Aemma latched.

"Can you... can you close the doors again?" Aegon called out, head turned away and a blush on his cheeks. Daemon nodded sharply. He backed out of the room slowly, picking up Daeron's book as he went.

The Lineage of the Dragonlords had a few bent pages now. Daeron quickly moved to straighten them when Daemon returned it to his nephew.

Chapter Text

His mother stood tall before the dark skull of Balerion. Jacaerys approached her with his hands clasped behind his back. He cleared his throat.

Rhaenyra looked over her shoulder at him. Her lips twitched. A flicker of softness before her face turned to stone.

This was not where she would normally meet him, where she would hold a traditional audience. Jacaerys stiffened, knuckles going white as he kept from fidgeting beneath his mother's gaze.

"I have officially been named Queen Regent," Rhaenyra told him, voice sharp. Jacaerys blinked. She turned around, her chin up and her shoulders back. "I'll be crowned within the week. Daemon will remain as my Hand. Alicent will remain on the council as Queen Consort."

None of this was news. It was expected, even, after the tourney. Half the lords who'd come for the tourney had remained in King's Landing in anticipation of her coronation.

"Once I have taken the oaths, I will relinquish my previous titles."

"What?" Jacaerys furrowed his brow. His lips pursed as his mother lowered her chin. Her gaze pointed.

With a sigh, Rhaenyra clasped her hands together. Her fingers slid over her rings, "The king is not expected to make a recovery. The maesters believe his mind grows cloudier every day. I will be regent until his death, and then I shall be Queen Regnant instead."

The silence echoed as Rhaenyra stared at him. Jacaerys wrung his hands behind his back. He swallowed, waiting.

"Given the state of things, it is important that the line of succession be clear," Rhaenyra continued, throat bobbing as her chin rose once more, "You will be made Prince of Dragonstone. During my coronation, lords will be expected to pledge their loyalty to me, to you, and to Aemma."

Nodding slowly, Jacaerys let his fingers dig into his palms. He took a breath, "I understand, your grace."

"Furthermore," Rhaenyra took a step forward, "The Small Council is of two minds,"

"On what?" Jacaerys clenched his jaw. She smiled, hands rising to his arms. He fidgeted despite himself.

Squeezing lightly, Rhaenyra looked up into his face, "On whether or not to send you back to Dragonstone." His eyes fluttered and she chuckled, "Dragonstone is one of the greatest fortresses in all of Westeros. Aegon and Aemma could be well defended there, away from all the talk of court."

"The dragons are here," Jacaerys pointed out. He looked up, over her head, where Balerion continued to watch them.

Rhaenyra pursed her lips and her hands dropped, "Yes. Thus the debate." She stepped back, throat clearing, "Some would return with you, of course. The Cannibal, I expect. I had thought to send Joffrey and Daeron with you, perhaps Helaena as well."

Tyraxes was not big enough to ride yet. Tessarion and Dreamfyre were both large dragons, but neither of their riders were experienced. None of them were, really. Seasmoke and Caraxes were the only dragons who had seen combat with their current riders. And Sunfyre. Briefly.

It was not an ideal situation. Dragonstone's defenses would be in his control. Jacaerys could see the threats coming, could burn them himself. But they'd be nearly alone, isolated.

King's Landing had more dragons, and not just the ones that flew. Aegon would never be alone, even if Jacaerys had to leave him.

Yet, there was a chance, however slim, that Aegon would be called to battle.

"I'd prefer we stay here," Jacaerys told her, shoulders rolling back, "Until the conflict is resolved." He met her gaze, watched her expression turn to stone as he spoke, "Whether that be with words or with dragon fire, Aegon will not be involved directly."

"I have no intention of asking him to be," Rhaenyra said. Her words were firm, but she turned around, eyes focusing on Balerion.

Silence descended once more. His mother did not look back at him. She did not speak.

Jacaerys stepped up beside her. His fingers twitched at his side. She reached for him, taking his arm in hers, "I do not want to see any of you taking to the air with war in your sights. My father's reign has been one of peace, I'd like it to end as such.

"Peace?" Jacaerys scoffed, nose wrinkling, "Tell that to the Stepstones." She stiffened. Jacaerys turned his head to look at her, "If grandfather had focused more securing our authority and less on peace, we wouldn't be here."

"Is that what you think?" Rhaenyra hummed. A hand brushed through his hair and Jacaerys frowned. She tilted her head.

"He let Hightower have too much power. Let his Hand rule, when it should've been him," Jacaerys argued, face twisting in to a scowl as Rhaenyra cupped his face.

Hand holding his chin tightly, Rhaenyra forced his gaze on hers, "Do not let your personal feelings cloud your judgement, Jacaerys. Protecting the realm, maintaining peace, its a noble intention."

"I'm a dragon," Jacaerys turned his head, nodding towards the large skull before them, "Dragons are conquerors, rulers." With a huff, he looked back at her, "Visenya was right, they should've burned Oldtown to the ground when the Faith rose up the first time."

"Alicent follows the Seven, the Queen, your goodmother. She's a Hightower too." Rhaenyra arched a brow. Jacaerys pursed his lips. "We cannot punish all of Oldtown purely because the High Septon is misguided."

"Misguided?" Jacaerys snapped, nostrils flaring. Her hand grabbed his chin again. She held him still, eyes flashing.

Aegon had said there was a difference between his mother and the Queen. As if Alicent and her position were two separate people. Jacaerys had never understood until this moment. Until he stared into his mother's eyes and looked upon a stranger.

All her warmth gone as she spoke to him, "You will be king, Jacaerys, and a king cannot prioritize his wants over the good of the realm. Not a good one anyway."

"Yes, your grace," Jacaerys trembled in her hold. A cold chill ran up his spine as she narrowed her eyes.

Eyes squeezing shut, Rhaenyra bowed her head. Jacaerys remained. She cupped his face between both hands, "I understand your anger, Jace. I feel it myself, but..." Her eyes opened, her head rose. "...we cannot afford to let our anger guide our hands. There is only ruin on that path."

"Yes, mother," Jacaerys whispered, nodding slowly. Rhaenyra smiled at him. There was a sadness to it, a tremble in her gaze.

"Prince Jacaerys!" a voice called from the door as someone knocked on it rapidly. His brow furrowed. He recognized it as one of the knights from his chambers.

Without waiting for leave from his mother, Jacaerys rushed for the door, "What happened?"

"I do not know, your grace, Prince Daemon bid me to find you," the knight swallowed, standing back from the door as Jacaerys opened it fully. Rhaneyra came up behind him and the knight paled, "He was visiting Prince Aegon. He seemed quite agitated."

It wasn't particularly becoming for a prince to run through a castle. Jacaerys did it anyway.

-.-.-

Jace slipped in to their bedchamber quietly. Aegon glanced up from Aemma. He closed the door behind him. It clicked loudly shut in their quiet bedchamber.

His husband was not good at hiding his nerves. Not any better than Aegon was at hiding his annoyance.

"Egg-"

"They told you, didn't they?" Aegon wrinkled his nose. A flush rose on his cheeks. His throat bobbed as Jacaerys sighed.

The soft gaze and the frown told him the answer as Jace approached the bed. He sat on the edge, facing him.

"They didn't tell me anything I didn't already know."

Aegon swallowed. Aemma whined against his chest. He grunted, glancing down as she knocked a tiny fist againdt his chest. She suckled greedily.

A hand came up to cup Aegon's cheek, pulling his face up to meet Jace's gaze.

"I didn't tell Daeron to stay with you for no reason," Jace ran his thumb over Aegon's skin, back and forth, "You haven't been sleeping well. You keep forgetting to eat. And when I was holding Aemma the other day, I saw you picking at your nails."

"It's not because you were holding her," Aegon defended, lips curling, "I know she's safe with you, I just..." He trailed off. Jace smiled at him.

"It's because you're not holding her, I know," Jace looked down at Aemma as she drank from Aegon's chest. There was a soft glow to her face, as gold as Sunfyre's scales.

His hand dropped to her, cupping the back of her head as Aegon winced. He switched her to the other side. Aemma relatched quickly.

"She's always hungry," Aegon sighed, head falling back.

"Helaena said she would be," Jace chuckled, grinning as Aegon huffed.

When Aegon lowered his chin, Jace was watching him. Waiting. Aegon shook, gaze flitting around the room, "It's nothing. I'm just... just being foolish."

"You're rarely foolish," Jacaerys snorted. He shook his head and shifted closer. Knuckles skimmed down the side of his face, "Tell me."

"I'm... afraid," Aegon stumbled over his words, "And I should be, there's a fucking army gathering to try to kill me." His voice was wet when he admitted, "But I can fight an army." Lashes fluttering, Aegon sobbed, "I can't do this, Jace. I'll mess it up. I'll mess her up."

Arms wrapped around him and Aegon crumbled, pressing his face in to Jace's neck as he cried.

"She deserves so much better than me," Aegon gasped out and Aemma whined in his arms. Jace slid fingers into his hair, pulling his head up.

"There is no one better," Jacaerys told him, eyes hard, gaze pointed. He held them both, Aemma nuzzling against his chest as he leaned closer. "You are amazing, Aegon." He peppered his face with kisses. "Beautiful. Clever. Mischievous." Aemma cooed, hands banging at Aegon's chest. "Sweet. Loyal."

Aegon cried harder. The hand in his hair slid down to the back of his neck. Jace pressed their foreheads together.

"I'm scared too, Egg," Jace whispered, gazing down at Aemma. He smiled, laughing, "Just looking at her makes my heart ache in ways I didn't know were possible."

"I don't... I don't want her to turn out like me." Aegon sniffled. "I don't want her to be broken."

Jace blinked. He licked his lips, breathing slowly. Pressing another kiss to Aegon's lips, Jace spoke slowly, "You're one of the strongest people I've ever met, Aegon Targaryen. I hope Aemma has every bit of you inside her heart. She'll be the fiercest Targaryen to sit the Iron Throne."

A shriek from Aemma pulled their gazes down to the squirming baby between them. She reached up, stubby fingers grabbing at Aegon as she smiled.

"See?" Jace kissed his cheek as Aegon gaped at her. "She knows it too. She loves you, Egg, almost as much as I do."

Aemma cooed as Aegon trailed a finger over her cheek. Jacaerys ducked his head to press a kiss to her forehead.

"You're already too clever, aren't you?" Jacaerys grinned at her, "Know exactly what Kepa needs hmm?" He kissed her cheek. Aemma giggled, a high-pitched screech that had Aegon's heart stopping.

His chest felt lighter than it had in weeks. His cheeks flushed as Jacaerys pressed a kiss to his sternum before rising back up.

"Can I take her?" Jacaerys asked, already slipping his arms beneath Aegon's. With a sharp nod, Aegon let her go. Jacaerys stood up. He walked beside the bed, one hand on Aemma's back as he burped her.

When she fell asleep in his arms, Jacaerys took two steps to the cradle beside their bed. Aegon whimpered, hands fisting in the sheets. Jacaerys hummed and lay Aemma down.

"You need to rest too," Jacaerys returned to their bed, pushing Aegon onto his back against the pillow, "And I am not above making you."

Cheeks flushing, Aegon glanced back at Aemma. He could see her through the wooden slats. His throat bobbed as he looked up at Jacaerys, chin rising. "Make me then."

Chapter 21

Notes:

*drops chapter and flees*

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Lady Tyrell was his favorite. Daemon had no qualms about saying as much. She'd left King's Landing only a week ago and she'd already sent word to every lord in the Reach of her intention to execute any of them which had involved themselves with 'the treasonous blasphemers of Oldtown.'

He was fairly confident she was behind the recent death of the High Septon as well.

"His body was discovered in a brothel," Mysaria stood before the Small Council with a barely concealed smirk, "Traumatized the poor virgin he was bedding apparently."

Daemon threw back his head, laughing boisterously. Across from him, Alicent pursed her lips.

"Well," Rhaenyra cleared her throat. She cast Daemon a sharp look as she continued, "What impact has that had on his supporters?"

"The host in the Westerlands continues to grow," Laenor sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. Daemon squeezed his eyes shut, his laughter dying on his lips.

"They think we killed him don't they?"

Mysaria nodded sharply. Her gaze shifted towards Alicent, "Lord Hightower and his brother claim it was a ploy to discredit 'a most holy man' for his devotion to the Faith."

Alicent groaned, head shaking as she pressed her hand to her forehead. She huffed, "I've written to my cousins. Gwayne has as well. We've received no responses."

"Otto Hightower has been traveling across the Reach and the Westerlands, spreading the rumor that you have usurped the king's throne," Mysaria reported, gaze flicking towards Rhaenyra briefly before returning to Alicent, "It would appear your other brothers have joined him in this regard."

"It might be best to pull Ser Gwayne back to the Keep," Jacaerys hummed, his own eyes focused on the red sphere in front of him. Beside him, Aemond stilled. Daemon arched a brow.

"For what reason?" Rhaenyra asked.

Jacaerys shrugged, head rising up, "If he remains the only member of House Hightower loyal to the Crown besides the queen, his safety could be compromised."

He did not flinch as Rhaenyra narrowed her eyes on him. She pursed her lips when Daemon agreed, "We ought to offer, at the least, given his loyal service."

"Gwayne will accept, his wife is pregnant. He'll take no risks with her or his children," Alicent leaned back in her seat, a frown cutting deeply across her face.

"What of Lord Lannister?" Rhaenyra tilted her head. Mysaria's smirk twisted up and Daemon leaned forward.

With hands clasped before her, Mysaria chuckled, "He's recalled his forces. Apparently there was a small skirmish between them and the Hightower forces when he did so. His brother was severely injured."

"That's something," Rhaenyra huffed, eyes closing slowly, "Stark and Baratheon both called their banners. It will be weeks still before they can march. As it is, even with Tyrell and Lannister on our sides, the Reach and the Westerlands are too divided for us to trust any banners they could call."

"What about the Riverlands?" Alicent asked and Daemon hummed. He bit at his lip as he considered Lord Tully.

He was on their side, nominally. As much as Baratheon. Or even Lannister.

"Both Tully and Arryn have agreed to support us, should it be necessary..." Rhaenyra spoke slowly, lips curling back, "...but they will require a formal declaration of war. They will not march over a 'simple threat.'"

Lady Arryn was many things. Someone who minced words was not one of them. Daemon wrinkled his nose. Alicent mirrored him, glaring at the table.

"Then we must make the decision now," Jacaerys stared at his mother and Daemon found himself holding his breath, "You must decide, your grace, whether this is to be war or not."

"I don't believe Hightower is going to back down," Aemond echoed him. Alicent nodded. They both looked to Rhaenyra.

Lord Beesbury sighed, head shaking, "While I had hoped this could be handled diplomatically, your grace, I believe we are past that point."

"Some show of force, at least, is now necessary," Grandmaester Mellos huffed, arms crossed.

"We could handle the host," Laenor drawled, eyebrow quirking up, "Daemon and I. On dragonback. It may not stop Hightower, if he's not there, but... it would certainly give anyone thinking of joining him pause."

Daemon caught Rhaenyra's eye. He shifted in his seat, "With the High Septon dead, its just Otto and his brother stirring up the rabble. We deal with the host, we need only focus on silencing the two of them."

"I understand," Rhaenyra leaned back in her seat, hands clasping the armrests on either side. Her chin rose, "I would ask we take a short recess, give me time to think over all of your suggestions." She nodded her head to her advisors and they all stood. One by one, they bowed and stepped from the table. Rhaenyra stopped only one, "Jacaerys. Remain please."

Jacaerys exchanged a look with Aemond before nodding sharply. He stayed on his feet, hands clasped as he stood beside the table. They waited until the room was empty.

"Your suggestion to have Gwayne at the Keep..." Rhaenyra tilted her head as she rose to her feet. She walked towards the windows, beckoning him to follow.

"If he is loyal, he will require our protection," Jacaerys walked a step behind, meeting his mother's gaze when she looked over her shoulder at him.

Rhaenyra sighed, lips pursed, "If?"

"If. And if he's not loyal, we have hostages, to force his hand or those of the other Hightowers," Jacaerys shrugged, shoulders rolling back. His mother pinned him with her stare as she turned.

"You don't trust him? He's Aegon's favorite uncle, Alicent's brother has been a good friend, to her and to my father. Even Daemon likes him well enough," Rhaenyra leaned against the stone wall beside the windows. She did not turn her head to look out over the courtyard, though Joffrey was out there, blunted sword in hand, sparring with Daeron.

"I don't trust anyone, not right now. Not with Aegon and Aemma under threat." Jacaerys said bluntly, arms crossing. He cleared his throat as Rhaenyra's brow twitched upwards. "Okay. I trust Sunfyre. And Vermax. Of course."

Chuckling, Rhaenyra ducked her head, "Not me?" Jacaerys tensed. He nodded slowly.

"Your priority, as regent, must be the realm. Aegon, my daughter, even me, we all must come second, at best."

Taking a deep breath, Rhaenyra looked through the window finally. Her smile sad. "You're right. On all counts, I'd say." Her eyes closed in a long blink as she said, "Moreso, you're thinking like a king."

"I do listen, mother," Jacaerys huffed, lips twitching up, "I know my duty, but I've sworn no oaths to anyone save my husband." His eyes leveled on her, face as still as stone. A mirror of the mask Rhaenyra wore before the court. "Not even you."

She pulled a hand down her face, wrapping her fingers lightly around her throat. Rhaenyra blinked tears from her eyes as she watched her youngest laugh. Joffrey tackled his uncle. Daeron's practice sword went flying as he stumbled back.

Her oldest was far from laughter, from play. Jacaerys kept his eyes on her, gaze focused. Waiting. "Is that all you wanted to speak to me about, your grace?"

"No," Rhaenyra turned her head to meet his eyes. She crossed her arms, "What do you think will happen, if we burn the host gathering against us?"

"Another will gather," Jacaerys quirked a brow, answer quick and certain, "Hightower will use any offensive action we take as evidence of our wrongdoing, twist it to his narrative."

"And what would happen, do you think, if we ignored the host, focused on Hightower?" Rhaenyra asked and, at this, he finally faultered.

Lashes fluttering as his brow furrowed, Jacaerys nearly growled, "They'd march. On the capitol, on the Keep." Rhaenyra inclined her head forward, "You think killing Hightower will push those already against us to act?"

"I think killing Hightower outright will feed directly into the vile he's been spewing about us and he knows it," Rhaenyra stated, lips pursed tight. She sighed. Jacaerys stood beside her, eyes wide as he watched her. Waiting once again.

No course of action was without risk. No decision came without consequences.

"If I sent out dragonriders to bring Hightower to justice..." Rhaenyra began, voice low. Jacaerys stiffened beside her. "...who would you suggest? Who has a cool enough head to ensure Otto would stand trial here in King's Landing and not take justice in to their own hand?"

A beat of quiet, of tense silence that twisted around her throat like a noose. Rhaenyra kept her features still and neutral. Jacaerys struggled to do the same.

"Father could do it. Or Rhaenys. They're both experienced dragonriders. Cool under pressure." Jacaerys croaked. His eyes squeezing shut, "But Father is better fit for combat, for defending the city if the host attacks, or for attacking it outright, should it come to that."

"Rhaenys then," Rhaenyra hummed, nodding sharply. She turned from the window. "I'll order Rhaenys to find and bring Hightower back, while Daemon and Laenor will be seen scouting the host in the Westerlands. A final warning."

"No."

Rhaenyra stopped at her son's voice. A sharp, simple word. Nearly whispered. She took hold of the back of her chair and looked over her shoulder.

"No," Jacaerys repeated, throat bobbing as he raised his chin. It was louder this time. He met her eyes, "I'm your heir. At your coronation, the lords pledged loyalty to me. If they have Hightower and I ask for him, denying me could be seen as treason. If Hightower attacks me and I have to kill him, there will be less upset than if the Queen Who Never Was starts flying across the western coast."

"You want to go?" Rhaenyra blinked, mouth falling open, "You would leave Aegon to find Hightower?"

"If it will keep him safe, keep the realm for plunging in to war that will threaten his life... then yes," Jacaerys nodded, hands fisting at his side.

In that moment, Rhaenyra could see exactly the sort of king her son was going to be, the sort of husband he was.

"Then that's what we shall do."

-.-.-

Humming lightly, Aegon rocked slowly on his feet with Sunfyre at his back. Aemma slept easily in his arms. She had one hand clutched in the blanket swaddled around her and another on Vermax's scales. The green dragon was curled close, nosing carefully at Aegon's side. The two beasts made a full circle around him and Aegon felt truly safe, peaceful even.

A flutter in his chest tugged at his senses and he turned his head to see Jace. His stomach twisted.

"Why do you look like someone just put you on your back in the training yard?" Aegon asked, stilling as Jacaerys pursed his lips. Aemma squirmed. Her nose wrinkled.

"There's something we need to talk about," Jace told him, eyes flicking around the yard, pausing on the servants. On the witnesses.

A rumble from deep in Vermax's chest startled him and the air seemed to freeze in Aegon's lungs. Aemma started crying, thrashing in his arms. Jace squeezed his eyes shut.

"Egg, come upstairs, please," Jace didn't enter the circle. Vermax was still growling. Sunfyre was curling around them all tightly, nostrils flaring.

"Tell me," Aegon demanded and he nearly flinched at his own voice, so monotonous and flat. Like his mother's, like the queen's.

Taking a breath, Jace ruffled a hand through his hair and steeled his shoulders, "I'm going to the Westerlands, to find and bring Otto Hightower back to the capitol. He and Lord Hightower are to face trial for treason. My mother intends to call a Great Council, to vote on their guilt. But first I have to bring him in, and order any lords who heard him speak to provide testimony."

It was creative. Aegon could recognize that, could recognize Aemond's fingerprints all over the Great Council and Rhaenyra's over the testimonies.

"Why do you have to go?" Aegon asked, swallowing thickly as tears prickled at his eyes. He recognized Jace's fingerprints too. "Someone else could go, could bring him in."

"I'm the heir." Jace said simply, rolling his shoulders back. His voice was even, words firm. "His threats against you are a threat to my house and my claim.

The heir, and the accuser. It would be Jace arguing before the Great Council, calling for their guilt. For his grandfather's head.

Aegon was Jace's husband, his consort. His concubine. Just as they'd discussed all those months ago. Aegon would never be a king, but Jace would be, he'd be Aegon's king. The head of their house. Their defender.

"I understand," Aegon whispered, head ducking low as he started to rock Aemma again. She continued to cry. Vermax continued to growl.

Sunfyre snapped at Jace as he approached, breaking into the circle of dragons that separated Aegon from the rest of the world. His palm slid over Aegon's cheek, cupping his face.

"I understand," Aegon repeated, pressing back against the touch. He squeezed his eyes shut. His voice cracked this time. Jace's other hand rose over his neck, cupping the back of his head.

"Egg," Jace pressed a kiss to the top of his head. Aegon took a breath. "Egg, please," Jace pleaded. Fingers twitched and Aegon lifted his head.

Aemma quieted to a fussing noise, swaddled in her blankets and surrounded by both of her parents. Circled by dragons twice over.

"I will be careful, and as quick as I possibly can be," Jace promised, kissing Aegon's forehead. His eyes shimmered, blinking tears away as quickly as they formed.

"I know," Aegon nodded slowly, breath shaky. He pursed his lips. His chest tightened still, air twisting and catching in his throat. "I'm not worried about you."

"Aemond is here," Jace assured him, hands moving to squeeze at his shoulders, "Helaena. Daeron. Joff. Baela and Rhaena. More dragons than has ever been in one place since the Doom. All to protect you, to protect Aemma. I wouldn't go otherwise."

Aegon nodded again. Aemma cried, reaching up for Jace. Without thinking, Aegon pressed her in to Jace's arms, forcing them away from his own body. He shivered as Jace took over his previous rocking, smiling brightly at Aemma as she cooed up at him.

"I know you're afraid, Egg," Jace looked back at him as Aemma settled, drifting back to sleep as Aegon's hands twisted in his shirt.

"She needs you," Aegon shrugged, biting at his bottom lip.

"You can do it, you do it now," Jace argued, chuckling softly, "We both know you can't stand to let the maids care for her. You do it all. I swoop in to hold her once or twice, but you feed her and change her and love her."

His teeth ripped at his bottom lip and Aegon sucked on the cut as blood rushed out. He met Jace's gaze, eyes wide, "I need you."

"I know," Jace winced, eyes closing as he took a breath, "I... I'll be back as soon as I can." His lips pursed and he shook his head, "If I thought it would work, if I thought the lords would give him up for anyone else..."

Aegon nodded, still chewing at his bottom lip. His fingers were shredded as he wrung them against his stomach. There'd be blood on his shirt.

"When I get back, once the Great Council is finished, we'll go back to Dragonstone. All three of us. We'll go home and figure out what to do with Cannibal. Prepare the castle for winter."

"Take Vermax flying?" Aegon's smile was tight, pupils trembling as he held Jace's gaze. Jace flushed, nodding slowly.

Using one arm to hold Aemma, Jace cupped Aegon's face, "As soon as you want." He pulled him closer, pressing their foreheads together. Sunfyre and Vermax roared. Tails whipped around, heads reared back.

"You're going now aren't you?" Aegon whispered, eyes squeezing shut. A whine slipped from Jace's lips and he nodded mutely. Aemma sniffled between them, eyes damp as she whimpered.

Aegon slid his arms beneath Jace's, stealing her back and holding her up against his collarbone. One hand on the back of her head as Jace kissed him.

"I won't be waiting patiently," Aegon huffed, lips pursing tight as Jace stepped back. Smirking, Jace laughed.

"You've never been patient, Egg," Jace snorted. He ducked back in, stealing another kiss. He peppered the top of Aemma's head as he withdrew, "And something tells me she's not either."

Jace took slow steps away. One hand on Vermax's scales as they stepped away from their little circle. Sunfyre was grumbling, nostrils flaring and teeth snapping. Aegon pressed his face to Aemma's head.

As Vermax took to the sky, his roar was drowned out by a shriek. Cannibal thrashed below. Green fire burst into the air as his muzzle was broken in to pieces. Aegon startled back in to Sunfyre's side.

"It'll be alright," Aegon bounced Aemma lightly as she cried into his chest. He rubbed a hand over her back, "He'll be back, Daddy will be back."

Cannibal gave another shriek as Vermax disappeared over the horizon. He growled. Sunfyre stiffened, coiling around Aegon, as Cannibal stalked over. He huffed, settling with his teeth barred and his wings tucked in.

"Look who's here," Aegon gulped, shifting so that Aemma faced Cannibal. She reached for him. Aegon stepped closer. "See? You're okay," Aegon whispered, stroking her head lightly.

She whimpered again. Cannibal tittered, breath warm as Aegon approached slowly. He nuzzled closer, snout touching Aegon's chest as Aemma cuddled closer. Sunfyre lingered close by as Aemma's sniffling slowed.

"It will all be fine," Aegon continued to sooth his daughter, kissing the top of her head, "We're going to be fine."

Notes:

Finished this chapter while waiting to go back for top surgery. Might be a while before I get a chance to update. 🤷🤞

Chapter Text

Baela was Daemon's daughter. No one who saw her temper would ever think otherwise. She stalked the length of Helaena's chambers, hands gesturing wildly and words flying like knives through the air.

"He's an absolute idiot!" Baela huffed, spinning on the balls of her feet, "Any of the rest of us could've been sent on this mission. No one is better suited towards diplomacy than our grandmother."

"Your grandmother isn't the heir to the Iron Throne." Aemond remind her, nursing the goblet of wine in his hand with a scowl on his face.

The plan was a good one. But that didn't mean he had to like it.

Scoffing, Baela waved him off, "Father is the Hand, he'd have been a good choice." Aemond actually snorted at that one. He arched a brow as Baela turned on him.

"The whole point is for the Hightowers to stand trial. Daemon's not exactly known for his restraint." Aemond drawled and Rhaena grabbed her sister's arm as Baela crossed in front of her.

"He has a point," Rhaena pursed her lips, dragging Baela onto the couch beside her. Baela huffed. She nodded sharply.

"He could've sent me instead, at least." Baela crossed her arms and leaned back, frowning deeply, "Jace should be here, with Aegon and Aemma."

Helaena hummed, head tilting to the side as she stood beside the window. Aemond's eyes slid towards his sister.

"Hels?" Aemond arched a brow. She startled, eyes fluttering. He sat up as she stared at him. Wine forgotten, he set it on the table beside his seat and stood, "What?"

"Daemon and Laenor are battle-tested dragonriders. You and Baela are the best swordfighters." Helaena stated simply. "Luke is with the fleet. Vhagar's presence in King's Landing will give any general pause."

"And Joffrey and Daeron are my annoying shadows," Aegon added to her list as he entered the room. He was bouncing Aemma in his arms as he walked inside.

True to his word, Daeron and Joffrey were right beside him. Joffrey grinning, Daeron flushing.

"We're all different lines of defense? Is that your point?" Rhaena asked, brows furrowing as she looked from Helaena to Aegon.

"Yes," Baela rolled her eyes, nose wrinkling, "And Jace made himself the front line. Like an idiot."

Aegon chuckled, lips twitching up. Helaena hummed again, "Second."

"Who was the first?" Aemond approached his siblings, ruffling Daeron's neat hair absently as he passed by. Daeron squawked, ducking out of his reach.

Helaena blinked at him. Her gaze slowly turned, flicking over Aegon briefly before settling on the view out her window once more. Aegon swallowed.

"Father was. All the... maneuvering, the feasts and the tourney, the letters," Aegon whispered, bouncing lightly. Aemma squirmed in his arms. Aemond swallowed.

Baela was more right than she knew.

"Daemon and Laenor are alternating, flying over the Gold Road every day," Aemond assured his brother. He squeezed at Aegon's shoulder. "A host of that size, they'll either have to march soon or disperse."

With a short nod, Aegon turned his head to the window. He was quiet, words mumbled, "Either way, we'll know soon."

-.-.-

Alicent flinched as a goblet hit the wall. Daemon roared, throwing the pitcher of wine to the floor next. Chest heaving, he gripped the back of his chair.

"The cowardly bastards mean to take advantage of our current situation," Daemon snapped, eyes squeezing shut.

"It's smart," Laenor sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose, "The Ironborn know the kingdoms are divided."

"Yes, and they know that if the Hightowers prevail, they can blame the attack on us," Rhaenyra was rubbing at her temple, leaning back in her seat.

Laenor reached forward, wrapping his hand around her wrist. She looked up, meeting his gaze. A smile flickered over his face and she mirrored it.

Her chest twinged at the quiet show of support. Alicent turned her head away. She found Rhaenys tracing a thumb over the side of her goblet.

"Jace is certain it was the Ironborn?" Rhaenys finally asked, lips pursed tight. Alicent arched a brow.

The letter was passed down the table. Rhaenys read it, forehead wrinkling. She handed it to Alicent.

Swallowing thickly, she opened it. The description of her childhood home after the raid was... difficult to read. The Hightower had been left nearly untouched, but Oldtown had burned.

"He identified several of their standards aboard the ships. They were departing as he arrived," Rhaenyra summarized, frowning as Rhaenys hummed.

"They departed because he arrived, I'd wager." All eyes turned to Laenor at his words. He inclined his head towards the letter, "Whatever the end of this conflict, the Ironborn will claim they were either aiding our effort, or following our orders."

"Meanwhile, Hightower blames us, and the Ironborn have free reign of the entire western coast now that every ship in Oldtown has been sunk or stolen."

The letter included a comment that Jacaerys had sent a similar note to Lady Tyrell. The prince had left one of the Tyrell cousins in charge at the Hightower, with her own cousins who'd been in the city now being escorted to Highgarden.

Alicent leaned her head back, tears welled up in her eyes. It was the responsibility of the Hightowers to protect Oldtown. They'd failed. Their knights were in the Westerlands, preparing to march in the name of the Faith rather than defending the Reach and the Arbor.

That the Ironborn were able to enter Oldtown at all was evidence of that.

"Jace suggested, before he left, that we might need to name Ser Gwayne to be the new Lord Hightower," Rhaenyra spoke softly. Alicent's head dropped back down, eyes wide. "But your cousin, Ormund, he has three sons."

Their eyes met. Rhaenyra didn't blink.

"Yes. Lyonel is the eldest. He's of age with Daeron, actually," Alicent inclined her head forward. Her throat bobbed.

Rhaenyra nodded sharply, "I would not like to disinherit children for the sins of their father." Her chin rose and Alicent breathed out slowly.

Jace's letter had not specified which of her cousins had been in Oldtown and who had been sent to Highgarden. Alicent had not seen any of them in many years. Ormund had never been particularly warm towards her, but Daeron had written kindly of his sons.

"Perhaps we should ask Daeron," Alicent cleared her throat. Rhaenyra's eyes fluttered. "He spent many years with my father's family. He may have insight."

"I will make a point to speak with him about this," Rhaenyra tilted her head. The ghost of a smile rose on her face, "I had meant to... to make time for him, anyway."

Alicent smiled softly as she held her gaze, "I am certain he would appreciate that, your grace."

Groaning, Daemon plopped back into his seat, "Daeron might be helpful for dealing with Oldtown, but we still have the Ironborn to deal with."

"I've sent a letter to Lannisport, warning him of possible attacks," Rhaenyra tapped her fingers on the table. She pursed her lips.

"Most of the host gathering against us is from the coastal region, they'll be prime targets," Laenor sighed, "And I don't think there's any way we can warn them that won't be perceived as a threat."

Rhaenyra stilled. Her head tilted. Her lips quirked up, "Perhaps we ought to take a more hands on approach with it." She grinned, looking from Laenor to Daemon. Alicent paled. She turned her head to see Rhaenys squeezing her eyes shut.

Even if she hadn't grown up with Rhaenyra, hadn't known what the smirk twisting across her face meant. Alicent had seen that expression on Aegon more than enough times to know it preceeded only trouble.

"I think it's time I see this army rising against my family for myself," Rhaenyra told them. She stood, gaze sharp, "Daemon, you'll remain here with Alicent. Rhaenys, you and Laenor shall accompany me."

"You ought to consider taking Baela," Rhaenys clasped her hands over the table, "She'll be more helpful than I would be, should you plan to land."

Chin rising, Rhaenyra nodded, "Baela then. Three dragons only." She laughed, "We wouldn't want to intimidate them after all."

-.-.-

It wasn't pacing. Aegon didn't pace. He was simply walking, back and forth, across the length of his room, bouncing Aemma. The movement helped her sleep. That was why he did it. No other reason.

"You seem anxious, little brother," Rhaenyra did not announce herself before enter the room. Aegon paused, head snapping towards the door.

"Mother!" Joffrey launched himself from the couch in the receiving room. His arms wrapped around Rhaenyra and she laughed, ducking her head to kiss the top of his.

Her fingers combed through his curls, "Hello, my sweet." Rhaenyra's smile was always bright when she looked at Joffrey. Her youngest. Her baby.

Aegon resumed his walking, arms tight around Aemma as she nuzzled against his chest. She would be hungry again soon.

"How are you, Aegon?" Rhaenyra's gaze rose with her chin. Eyes sharp, narrowed. He shrugged, bouncing Aemma lightly. She hummed and turned her head towards the couch. "And you, Daeron? How are you settling in to the Red Keep?"

His brother froze. Daeron's eyes widened and his knuckles went as white as the pages of the book in his hands. Rhaenyra laughed lightly at his stuttering response of "Fine, your grace."

"At court, it may be necessary to call me that, Daeron, but... here, now, with just us, you can just call me Rhaenyra."

"As you wish, your grace," Daeron stood, ducking his head. His cheeks went red, "Or, uh, Rhaenyra." Her smile was bright once more. Shining.

Something dark in the back of Aegon's mind wanted to throw something. Preferably at her. Aemma whined and Aegon's gaze dropped to her.

Every day she looked a bit more like Jace. The wrinkles of her face smoothing out, her features revealing themselves. She had his dimples. His nose.

Two months. She was nearly two months old. Jace had left only two weeks ago. It was nothing. A drop of time in the long life his daughter would have.

Even if it was a full quarter of her life, at this point.

"Have you..." Aegon's voice cracked and he cleared his throat. Looking out the window, Aegon breathed out, "Has there been any word from Jace?"

"He sent a letter from Oldtown."

His gaze snapped back towards Rhaenyra. She rolled her shoulders back. Her smile dimmed, but he felt no satisfaction.

"The Ironborn attacked the city. He provided an assessment, and ensured one of the Tyrells was able to take command before departing."

"Oh." Aegon pursed his lips. He looked away. Aemma fussed in his arms, arms flailing as she woke.

Rhaenyra approached him, hand rising to his shoulder as he shifted Aemma in his arms. She cried, screeching loudly as his hand cupped the back of her head. Tiny fists hit at his chest.

"It's okay," Aegon whispered against her hair, shushing her lightly. His throat bobbed. Tears prickled at his eyes. Rhaenyra's hand squeezed at his arm.

In a quick flash, Joffrey was in front of him, stealing Aemma from his arms. Aegon gasped, doubling over. He sobbed as Aemma screamed. His eyes squeezed shut.

Daeron didn't wrap himself around Aegon as he had when these episodes had come over him before. No. It was Rhaenyra that pulled him close, holding him to her chest as he collapsed.

"I'm sorry," Aegon clung to her, shoulders shaking as she ran a hand over his back. He took a stuttering breath, "I'm being stupid."

"No, Aegon," Rhaenyra pressed a kissed to his temple, "You're not stupid." She breathed out, laughter shaky, "Quite the opposite, actually, in my opinion."

Aemma quieted as Joffrey rocked her. He cooed at her, rambling on about how cute she was. How strong.

"You're dealing with a lot right now," Rhaenyra reminded him, rubbing at his back. She rocked him lightly as Aegon took gasping breaths.

Rhaenyra helped guide him to the floor and Aegon pressed the meat of his palms to his eyes. His next breath was stuttering. But deep. Full.

"Jace will be fine," Rhaenyra cupped his face in her hands as she knelt in front of him. He nodded. She smiled, "You will be too." He blinked. Her smile tightened.

"I think she's hungry again," Joffrey approached again. Aemma was pushing at his doublet, whining softly.

Aegon rubbed at his face and then reached for her. On the floor, back against the wall, he pushed his shirt open. He winced as Aemma latched.

"I'm headed out," Rhaenyra pushed his hair out of his face.

He blushed as she watched Aemma eat. That same smile she often had when Luke took her hand or Joffrey refused to let her go adorned her face.

"With the Ironborn threatening the western coast, I've decided to remind the knights gathering against us where their duty lies," Rhaenyra hummed, fiddling with her rings as her brows furrowed, "In person."

"You're going to confront them?" Daeron startled, eyes fluttering as he came up beside them. Rhaenyra looked up at him. She nodded slowly.

Joffrey frowned deeply, bottom lip sticking out in a proper pout, "Isn't that dangerous?"

"Your father and Baela are both coming with me, plus our dragons." Rhaenyra assured him, placing a hand on the underside of his chin and lifting up, "Syrax will not let anything happen to me. Nor Seasmoke your father."

"And Baela's really scary too," Daeron whispered, eyes still wide and lashes fluttering. Rhaenyra chuckled. She ducked her head.

Looking down at the child nursing at his chest, Aegon felt his breathing settle. The pounding of his heart. The panic in his mind. The worry.

"Daemon's loaning her Dark Sister as well." Rhaenyra winked at Daeron, "Our words are a warning for good reason, little brother."

Fire and blood. Dragons and magic.

Aemma's eyes closed again. Her mouth went slack as she fell asleep. Aegon lifted her higher, resting her head against his collarbone, above his heart. She burrowed closer.

"I know you're trying to avoid war," Aegon murmured, eyes flicking up to look at Rhaenyra through his lashes. His voice was level, nearly monotonous, "But I want them to burn."

His sister stiffened, her lips pursing as she stared at him. Rhaenyra nodded sharply, "I know." She reached towards them. A finger traced the back of Aemma's head, "I wish I could do that for you, that this could be over so easily."

When Rhaenyra stood, she kissed the top of Joffrey's head and surprised Daeron with a quick hug. She whispered something to the both of them. Aegon didn't need to hear to know what she said. The same thing as Jace had, most likely, as neither of them left him alone. Not for a moment.

"We're okay," Aegon leaned his head back against the wall. He stared at the ceiling, blinking tears out of his eyes as Aemma slumbered in his arms. His breaths were shaky and he ducked his head against hers, "We're okay."

If he repeated it enough, the words would be true. Eventually.

Chapter 23

Notes:

I could not begin to estimate how many times I rewrote this chapter, but I also cannot express how happy I am with it. 💚

Chapter Text

He knew his wife was a force to be reckoned with, a true dragon with a heart of fire and a spine of steel. Still, to see the Realm's Delight face down a host fifty thousand strong without flinching was a feat Laenor would've thought difficult even for her.

"I have come with a final warning," Rhaenyra called out after they landed. None of them dismounted. Syrax made a quiet tittering noise as she lowered her head near to the ground, neck snaking across grass and dirt as men scrambled away from her.

Tents of every color dotted the sea of bodies before them. Banners flew from at least three different kingdoms. The Lannisters had deserted the cause, but not all of their bannerman and it seemed half the Reach had marched against Lady Tyrell's expressed disdain for the whole affair. It was the Riverlands that surprised him, really, though. They'd come in droves after the High Septon's demise. Defenders of the Faith.

Rhaenyra waited for silence to reign, for the startled horses and men alike to calm. And then she spoke with conviction, her voice ringing out like a bell, sharp and booming.

"The Iron Islands have begun to attack the western coast." A murmur rose through the crowd. Rhaenyra kept speaking, her words firm. Her voice never wavered, "Oldtown has been left in ruin, neglected by the Hightowers."

At that, grumbling began, shouts and accusations. Laenor schooled his expression, refusing to smirk as Syrax growled. They all went quiet.

"My energies as regent ought be focused there, on reminding the Ironborn of their oaths of fielty or, if necessary, the words of my house," Rhaenyra continued, her gaze pointed as it swept across the host, "And instead I am here."

On Rhaenyra’s other side, Moondancer's head rose up, nostrils flaring as the younger dragon planted her feet. Baela snapped something in Valyrian, a command that had the dragon huffing and lowering her head. Laenor leaned forward to press his palm to Seasmoke's pale scales. He was vibrating with tension. Still, but unhappy about it.

This was Rhaenyra’s show. A display of Targaryen might. A reminder, not an attack.

"I am committed to ensuring the peace that we have all enjoyed throughout my father's reign. It has always been his goal, his wish, to maintain peace amongst our people. My heart breaks to see that peace threatened, to see his hard work squandered."

Syrax took a step, head dropping and lips pulling back as Rhaenyra raised her chin. Laenor's eyes flicked across the host. The expressions he could see. Most were hard, twisted in anger.

"But if war is necessary... I will remind you all, it took only three dragons to conquer the Seven Kingdoms," Rhaenyra called out. Shouts flew once more. Insults. And then arrows.

Syrax roared. Flames burst from the dragon. Rhaenyra did not flinch as the arrows aimed at her were turned to ash. She barely blinked. The fire stretched several yards past the host, unfolding above their heads. Missing tents and banners by mere inches.

Only once the screams died down did Rhaenyra finish, picking up right where she'd left off as Syrax narrowing her eyes on the host. Laenor could hear running feet. Shouts. But no further attacks were forthcoming.

"Should this host take another step closer to King's Landing, I will be forced to unleash the might of House Targaryen to defend the peace." Rhaenyra tugged at Syrax's reigns and the pale golden dragon spread her wings. "And we have more than three dragons now."

Laenor followed her into the air. Seasmoke flew just below Syrax, a little behind and to the right. Never far. A few wing lengths at best. They circled the host, Rhaenyra’s red cloak billowing out so as to ensure every person beneath them saw her. Noted her presence, and perhaps the golden circlet upon her head.

A queen's crown. The same one her mother had worn when appearing beside Viserys at feasts and important events. It had been Alicent's idea, her contribution to the plan. She'd retrieved it from her chambers and set it upon Rhaenyra’s head herself.

"You're the Queen Regent, you ought to look the part," Alicent had smiled before squeezing Rhaenyra’s hand, "And it is far better suited for your coloring than mine."

The queen had not been wrong. Glittering in the sunlight, the amethysts in the crown matched Rhaenyra’s eyes just as the metal did her dragon's scales.

As they flew, Laenor kept a sharp eye on the host below them. He'd ordered Baela to remain near the front, flying high and ready to fetch support from King's Landing at a moment's notice. Many weapons were aimed their way. Crossbows. Spears. None flew though.

And none would have been more than a passing annoyance for a dragon. No scorpions. The beginnings of a few trebuchets was concerning, but they'd need to reach the city for those to be a true worry.

"It continues to grow each day, as you'd said," Rhaenyra huffed, barely audible over the wind as they turned back towards the Crownlands.

"The only threat they pose as a force is their size," Laenor agreed, lips pursing. It was a bit like a festering wound. As the problem grew worse, the cure grew more extreme.

If they burned a host of this size, it would be a second Field of Fire. No mere display of strength, but a violent reminder of how the Targaryens had come to power. They were conquerors, not just rulers.

A fact which every king but Maegor had thought best to downplay. For good reason.

Not to mention the changing season. Winter was coming fast, the final harvests more than necessary. The loss of so many could be catastrophic.

Jaw clenched, Laenor watched as his wife let her mask falter for just a moment, as she let Rhaenyra grieve in a way the queen could not.

It was only a matter of time, really, before blood would be spilled, before the realm was plunged into war and the peaceful era of the king's reign came to an abrupt end. Rhaenyra wiped her tears away. She flew over the Dragon Pit, headed for the Red Keep, as Laenor led his niece downward. A covered cart was waiting for them, as was Daemon.

-.-.-

She found her son exactly where she expected to, where Rhaenyra had said he was, sitting on the floor beneath a window. Aegon had his back to the wall and Aemma in his arms. He was staring at the ceiling, eyes unfocused with dark circles more than evident.

"Daeron," Alicent turned her head from her eldest to smile at her youngest, "Would you be so kind as to fetch your brother some food, perhaps something light, like fruit or a strong broth?"

"Yes, mother," Daeron was quick to drop his book on the couch in the receiving room. Alicent did not have to send Joffrey with him. The younger prince flashed her a quick smirk and then took off after his uncle.

Hands clasped in front of her, Alicent continued into the room. She walked past the desk and the bed to reach Aegon. Her fingers twisted, hands wringing the closer she got. She lowered herself to the floor, balancing on the balls of her feet as she crouched in front of him.

"I'm fine," Aegon said, though his voice cracked. Aemma slept on. Her breathing was even, a near perfect match to Aegon's. His lips moved silently as he counted his own breaths.

"You needn't be," Alicent told him. Head tilting, she reached out a hand to cup his face. His chin dropped, eyes trembling as Alicent met his gaze. "If you're not fine, it is no great issue. We are all here for you, we could help.."

A hollow chuckle echoed out from his lips and Aegon ducked his head. It shook, his hair flying, as he choked out, "I don't think anyone can help."

"I may not be Jacaerys, but I have known you a very long time," Alicent whispered, thumb rubbing over his cheek, "Can I try?" His eyes flicked up, watching her, meeting hers for the briefest moment before he turned his head sharply.

Her chest tightened as he looked away. His cheeks flushed with color and Aegon took a slow breath, shuddering as Alicent drew back.

She expected something biting. An insult perhaps. A dismissal. She wasn't sure which would hurt worse, but Alicent could recognize when she'd misspoke. When she'd said the wrong thing despite all her intentions. She always did, it seemed, when it came to Aegon.

"I just feel empty," Aegon admitted quietly and Alicent straightened. He turned his head back, biting at his lip. Tears were streaming down his cheeks, "It was bad, even before he left, but now it's worse. Like I can't breathe."

Shifting forward, Alicent knelt properly in front of him. Her hands twitched, shaking even as she wrapped her arms around him. Aegon ducked his head to press his face to her shoulder. A sob raked through his body and Aemma squirmed.

"Would you... please, take her," Aegon pushed Aemma away, gasping sharply. He sobbed harder.

Alicent blinked, mouth falling open as she quickly adjusted to her granddaughter in her arms. In the girl's short life, Alicent could count the number of times she'd held Aemma on one hand. She rocked the girl slowly, stiffly even. Aemma's face scrunched up, but she remained asleep.

"I can't..." Aegon shook his head, hands shoving at his face as he pulled his knees up. Fingers clawed at his face, as uselessly as her own nails might've. Alicent sat beside him as struggled to push words out, to breathe, "She's so little." He sobbed again, eyes focusing on Aemma, "She's perfect."

"That's what I thought, when you were born," Alicent admitted, throat bobbing as Aegon's gaze rose to her face. He hiccuped, gasping lightly. "I was quite terrified, when I held you," Alicent offered him a small smile, blinking away tears, "Rightly so, I think, despite what my septa said. I couldn't soothe you at all, it felt like."

Aegon was shaking. His hands rose to his hair, pushing the frizzy mess he'd made back from his face. He took more breaths, lips moving in a quiet count once more, hands still shaking.

"You've done quite well, I think, with Aemma, better than I did," Alicent said, smile cracking her face as Aegon just stared at her. His expression was so raw, so open.

Her little boy was cracked open, trembling with emotion that she had no clue how to subdue for him. How to fix it in even the slightest way. As useless as she'd been those first few months of his life. As she'd been most of his life, she wagered.

Alicent rose to her feet slowly. Her skirts billowing out as she circled the bed to place Aemma in her cradle. Aegon scrambled up, his chest heaving as he stumbled forward. His arms wrabbed around one of the columns on the bed, steadying himself as he watched her, watched Aemma. His eyes wide and pupils trembling.

"You are doing a good job," Alicent assured him, returning to stand in front of him. She cupped his face and looked pointedly back at Aemma, "Your little girl is healthy. She sleeps well. Eats. She is as happy as she can be."

Frowning, Aegon shook his head, "How... how can she possibly be happy? Jace is gone. She's... she's stuck with me. Me. Joff has to keep rescuing her from my arms because I st-"

"Do you remember when you claimed Sunfyre?" Alicent pressed a finger to his lips, arching a brow as she stopped him. His forehead creased. "You were four. I'd... I'd upset you and you ran off while we were on Dragonstone."

In truth, she'd done more than upset him. She'd been in a proper state, after Aemond had come so early. Still recovering, Aemond sickly and Helaena never sleeping. Viserys had been adamant they join Rhaenyra on Dragonstone for the birth of her first child and Alicent had taken her frustration out on Aegon.

"We only found you because Sunfyre was screeching, writhing in the air and sending fire balls at anyone who dared come too close." Alicent stroked his cheek, taking a shuddering breath, "You were inconsolable and your dragon was the tell." She looked pointedly at the window, "The Cannibal has been calm."

More than calm even. He came and went from the Red Keep without fuss. He made no moves towards the Dragon Pit, nor the other dragon creches, when he flew off to hunt. One of her own ladies had called the creature docile when they passed the courtyard where the beast slept below Aegon's rooms.

"Your little girl is happy with you, she feels safe, and loved, because she is," Alicent held him firmly, staring into his eyes with purpose, determination even. She rubbed at his arm, "You're doing very well, my sweet, I promise."

"But I'm not." Aegon hiccupped, eyes squeezing tight as he clung to the post. Alicent's stomach dropped. He bowed his head, crying, "All I can think about is how Jace is out there and I'm stuck here. That I'm just here, being useless, like always."

She yanked his head up, hands on either side of his face, "You're not useless. You have never been-"

"Even the king doesn't like me," Aegon gasped, voice sharp and angry. His eyes brightened, "He's never liked me. I was a first born son he didn't want. That no one wanted." His eyes were wide, manic even, as he shouted, "The only one who did was Jace and now the whole realm might go to war because of it."

Aegon's fingers dug into the wooden post. Her eyes flickered towards them as she caught sight of the pressure. His fingertips were pale and splotchy. Nails not unlike her own were ripped and shredded, but not bleeding. Not yet.

"I thought it'd be fine, that it would all work out if I gave him an heir, if I was useful," Aegon whispered, head bowing as another sob shook his shoulders. "All I do is make things worse. For Rhaenyra. For Jace. Even you."

Alicent's hands dropped. Her fingers ripped at her nails. There were no words. No good ones, no bad ones. Everything she could say was wrong. Or a lie. She settled for the only truths she had.

"I... it was not you, that made things worse," Alicent stammered, lips pursing tightly. Aegon scoffed. Her hands flew up, twisting in the air around him as she hesitated. With a sigh, she grabbed his arms, squeezing, "None of it was your fault Aegon."

She wrapped her arms around him and he clung to her. Rocking slowly, Alicent ignored the feel of his fingers digging into her sides, to his tight grip in the fabric of her dress.

"You were my Aemma, tiny and perfect and deserving of so much more than we gave you," Alicent sniffed, arms growing tighter around him as he cried into her shoulder. Over his shoulder, she caught sight of Daeron, frozen in the doorway with a tray of food.

Tears prickled in her eyes at the sight of him. Stiff and awkward, shoulders hunching and eyes trembling. Alicent lifted a hand from Aegon's back to beckon him forward.

The tray was abandoned on the table in the receiving room and Daeron took tentative steps closer. His gaze flicking up several times, as if he expected her to change her mind.

Alicent tugged him into her side the moment she could, holding both of them as best she could. Aegon's tears had quieted, but he continued to shake. Daeron buried his face in Aegon's shoulder. Alicent rubbed circles over his back as she pet at Aegon's hair.

"You all deserved so much more," Alicent whispered, eyes squeezing shut as her tears slid down her face. Aegon snaked one arm out from between them, wrapping around Daeron as he raised his head.

Bloodshot eyes, bruised from exhaustion stared down at her as Aegon stood up properly. The same she saw in her mirror each morning before she prepared for the day. His lips pursed tight, brow furrowing as Aegon huffed, "But so did you."

Chapter 24

Notes:

*crawls out from beneath a pile of WIPs*

The next arc begins!

*immediately scurries away*

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

The Westerlands were officially his least favorite kingdom. Vermax growled as Casterly Rock came in to view once more. The rumbling echoed in his own chest as the wind whipped through his short hair.

"Don't worry," Jacaerys ducked his head close to Vermax's scales, sighing heavily, "We're not dealing with Lannister again."

That was the only good news, truly. He'd been in the Westerlands long enough, interrogating lords and knights, collecting their sworn statements to send back to Aemond. Questioning had revealed that neither Lord Hightower nor his uncle were in the Westerlands any longer. Not anymore than they were in the Reach.

It had taken him two weeks though. Two weeks flying to and from Casterly Rock where Lord Lannister had insistented on hosting him. Jacaerys had slept with Vermax on top of the damn fortress more often than he had the rooms Lannister provided. The rooms Lannister consistently had his daughters walk past every night.

"We're headed for the Riverlands," Jacaerys told his dragon. The green beast huffed, no more pleased with that than Jacaerys. Hand sliding over warm scales, Jacaerys sighed, nearly lying flat over his dragon's back.

The pommel of his saddle got in the way. It dug into his gut, a solid leather-clad mass that pushed against his abdomen. His eyes fluttered closed.

"I want to go home too," Jacaerys whispered, taking a shuddering breath as he forced himself to sit up.

They flew north briefly, and eventually east, following the river road through the mountains. There was a set way of things, a proper order. A need to show the high lords a certain amount of respect to maintain their loyalty.

He had to call on Lord Tully at Riverrun before he visited any of his other lords to ask about Otto, but in doing so half the Riverlands would know he was there before Jacaerys could properly begin his search.

Vermax snarled and Jacaerys rolled his shoulders back. Riverrun came in to view on the horizon. Red walls catching the evening sun.

At least Lord Tully didn't have any daughters.

Jacaerys circled the castle twice, giving the guards a chance to clear the main courtyard before Vermax landed with a huff. His dragon's lips curled back and he growled as Lord Tully approached. A young woman at his side.

"Lord Tully," Jacaerys inclined his head, frowning even as the lord bowed, "I appreciate your hospitality and cooperation, as does my mother and the king."

"I had word sent to all my vassals to keep an eye out for Lord Hightower and his uncle when I received your first raven, your grace," Tully straightened, smiling faintly as he gestured to the woman beside him, "I believe your search for the men may alreadybe bearing fruit."

Eyebrow arching, Jacaerys surveyed the woman. Young, around his own age if he had to guess. With dark curls that spilled down her back like his would if he ever let them grow.

"Lady Alysanne arrived just before you-"

"Aly," the woman corrected. Her curtsy was shallow and a touch rough as she stepped forward, "My brother and I caught sight of the Hightowers while out riding, your grace. We followed them a short while and believe them to be headed for Stone Hedge."

Lord Tully sighed, pinching at the bridge of his nose, "That is hardly certain, my lady." Jacaerys hummed, eyes narrowing. Tully straightened, "Lady Alysanne is from House Blackwood, your grace. They and the Brackens can be... quite adversarial, with one another."

"Where did you follow them from? How far?" Jacaerys turned his gaze on her. She straightened, head high and shoulders back.

"Some ways south of Raventree Hall, we kept a distance as there was only a small number of us," Aly briefed him quickly, without fuss or exaggeration, "We followed them as far as the Red Fork, when the trees gave way to marshes. My brother, Lord Samwell, bid me to ride for Riverrun at once while he continued to purse them undetected on foot, your grace."

Jaw clicking, Jacaerys glanced back at Vermax. His dragon huffed. Jacaerys crossed his arms, "You are certain it was them?"

She nodded sharply, "Saw the green of their doublets myself, your grace. And the Hightower on the standard of the knights with them."

"Then I shall have to enjoy your hospitality after I've checked with Lords Blackwood and Bracken, my lord," Jacaerys gave Lord Tully a curt bow before climbing back on to Vermax. He reached an arm out towards the woman beside him, "Lady Aly, I assume you know the area well enough to guide me?"

She paled, eyes wide, but despite her fear, Aly took a step towards Vermax. He bristled, but a sharp command from Jacaerys had the beast settling well enough for her to mount behind Jacaerys.

"Hold tight," Jacaerys told her, clicking his tongue before commanding Vermax into the air, "And watch your hands. We've spent the last week being accosted by young ladies, so Vermax is not overly forgiving."

"I would not wish to find myself on the bad side of any dragon, your grace," Aly drawled, laughed brightly as they rose above the castle walls. "Least of all your husband." She wrapped her arms around his waist, hands gripping the sides of his riding leathers.

Her head turned to watch Riverrun sink below them. Jacaerys heard her breath hitch as he nudged Vermax to the south, flying over the Red Fork.

Vermax preened at she gasped out, words tumbling from her lips like a prayer, "This is amazing."

-.-.-

His mother had given him very strict instructions before she left. The queen too. And Jace. All of them very similar, almost the same really.

"I could get you something else," Daeron offered as Aegon picked at the plate of cheeses and crackers that he'd set on the bed. His brother waved him off, popping one of the crackers into his mouth.

"You should go play or something Daeron," Aegon sighed as he leaned back against his headboard. His head fell back, "You haven't been outside in days except to visit Sunfyre with me. I'm sure Tessarion is worried-"

Daeron wrinkled his nose, head shaking, "Tessa knows I'm looking after you. She's fine." Aegon frowned at him. "What?"

A hand beckoned him closer and he crawled across the bed, settling beside his brother. Aegon was a very tactile person. He liked to be touch. Hugs and cuddles. He quickly tucked Daeron in against his side.

"Do you want to see Tessarion?" Aegon asked him. Daeron nod automatically. A hand combed through his hair, "I'm your elder brother, it is my job to look after you, not the other way around."

"But I didn't just have a baby!" Daeron huffed, laying his head on Aegon's shoulder. He rather liked the cuddling, if he were being honest. Especially when his brother bundled Daeron against his chest as he did now.

Aemma was sleeping in her craddle beside the bed. He could see her chest rising and falling from his position. Her whispy silver hair curling around her ears.

"I want to help," Daeron whispered, hand twisting in Aegon's shirt. A kiss was pressed to his forehead.

"You are helping, you're amazing, Daeron," Aegon cupped his cheek and titled his head up, "But even Joffrey has gone off to see Tyraxes at the Dragon Pit a few times. Or eaten dinner with his mother. You only leave to fetch me food."

Shrugging, Daeron tugged at his shirt. It was rather loose around his frame. Helaena had said something about Aegon needing all his strength when she visited last. Aemma grew bigger every day, but his brother only grew more tired.

"You should eat more," Daeron sat up, reaching for the tray, "I read that breastfeeding takes a lot of energy and you're suppose to eat more when you do it." That Aegon had eaten much less than he normally did since Aemma was born went unsaid.

Technically, Daeron didn't know that either. He could just guess, by the way everyone was behaving. Their eyes lingering on the uneaten food.

Aegon grumbled, tugging Daeron back into his side. He quietly ate one of the cubes of cheese as Daeron pushed the plate of them at his chest.

"You two look cozy," Rhaenyra appeared in the doorway. Daeron stiffened, but he didn't sit up.

She always waved him down, and she told him last time he didn't need to worry about making such a fuss. Not when she visited like this.

"How are you feeling, little brother?" Rhaenyra asked as she swept into the room. She hovered over Aemma's cradle, smiling down at her granddaughter.

"Better," Aegon hummed. Daeron looked pointedly at the plate and his brother sighed. Another piece of cheese disappeared into his mouth.

Rhaenyra chuckled, pausing beside the bed. She had a very nice smile. Kind. It reminded him a bit of Joffrey. Though his nephew was not so reserved as his mother often seemed.

She clasped her hands in front of her, eyebrow arching as her gaze landed on Daeron. He blinked, "Oh. I'm fine."

"He wants to visit Tessarion," Aegon told her and Daeron squawked, sitting up. His brother ate another piece of cheese as Daeron glared at him. "I think you should take him. He needs to do something beside fret over me."

"I would be happy to do that," Rhaenyra grinned and the resemblance to his nephew grew. "We could go now if you like." Daeron's stomach twisted.

His brother took the plate of cheese from him. Daeron found himself shoved away, Aegon's lips twisting up, "I'll eat the whole tray, if you go." Daeron narrowed his eyes.

"All of it?" Daeron looked pointedly at the plate of crackers still on the tray. "Not just the cheese?" Aegon nodded. He stepped from the bed, frowning, "And some fruit too?"

Eyes rolling, Aegon nodded again, huffing, "Fine. Some fruit too. You can bring it when you return and watch me eat it yourself hmm?"

Daeron bit at his lip. He glanced up at Rhaenyra. She was still grinning. Her eyes shimmered with mischief. Just like Joffrey's did when he hid Daeron's book so he'd practice swords with him.

"We'll fly Syrax to the pit, so you're not gone as long," Rhaenyra beckoned him towards the door as she started walking. Daeron swallowed thickly and nodded.

"I... I've never flown on anyone else's dragon before," Daeron admitted quietly. He followed after her, two steps behind like he was meant to.

That only lasted until they reached the outer doors. Rhaenyra took his hand and pulled him closer. She did not release him when he stumbled into her side.

On the couch in Aegon's receiving room, Joffrey was smirking at him. Daeron shot him a look and his nephew merely giggled, muffling himself in a pillow. He was the one who'd told Daeron the queen wanted to speak with him more. Alone. Just the two of them.

The queen always got what she wanted. Even before she was the queen. That's what Aemond had said anyway, grumbling it as he sat beside Aegon's bed after a Small Council meeting.

"Flying as a passenger is a bit different than flying on your own dragon," Rhaenyra instructed him as they descended the stairs to the dragon yard. A hand rose up to lay on his shoulder, "Syrax is quite friendly though, and she adores children."

"I'm not a child," Daeron wrinkled his nose. The queen laughed. She squeezed at his shoulder.

Pulling him closer, Rhaenyra pressed a kiss to the top of his head. He was almost as tall as her, but not quite. A wide smile spread across her cheeks as she pulled back, "Close enough, I think, baby brother."

-.-.-

Lord Blackwood had not been mistaken about the Hightowers' destination. Stone Hedge was swarming with knights wearing green. All of them screamed when Vermax descended on the castle.

"It seems you were correct, Lady Aly," Jacaerys drawled as his dragon roosted on one of the castle's towers. Smoke pouring from his lips and fire churning in his gut. The stone crumbled a bit beneath his weight, but it held.

Beneath them, heads snapped around and faces paled. All but Otto Hightower. Beneath his greying beard, the man's jaw clenched, his lips pursed. He rolled his shoulders back, chin rising.

"Prince Jacaerys," Otto greeted him with a bob of his head and a shout. Beside him, standing the battlements of Stone Hedge's outer wall, Lord Hightower was eyeing Vermax, his face ashen.

"Otto, I have been commanded, in the name of King Viserys, to bring you and Lord Hightower to King's Landing to face the justice of the realm," Jacaerys informed him. His voice rang out. Clear. Firm.

His gaze flickered to the man behind the two Hightowers. The lord who'd welcomed them into his keep and had been strolling the battlements with them. Conversing and laughing as thdy reviewed the castle defenses. As if they were not plotting to kill the man Jacaerys loved. His little girl, still in her cradle.

"Will you be joining them, Lord Bracken?" Jacaerys asked, eyes narrowing and nostrils flaring. Vermax growled. "Or will you be assisting the crown in wrangling these traitors?"

"No one here is a traitor," Lord Hightower called out, chin rising high, "We are all faithful vassals of King Viserys, follows of the Sev-"

Vermax roared. No fire fell from his lips, but the threat was enough. Below them, in the courtyard, swords and spears were pointed swiftly at the knights in green. Arms rose up in surrender.

Slipping carefully from the saddle, Aly Blackwood dropped to the battlements beneath them. She took off for the gate, passing the various knights and lords frozen under Vermax's angry glower.

Lord Blackwood had only a small number of men with him, but it would be enough, with Vermax, to hold the keep until the Tullys sent reinforcements.

"It is only because of your past loyalty that I am allowing you to live, Lord Hightower," Jacaerys spoke coldly, throat bobbing.

All the knights below, the ladies and their maids in the keep - every man, woman, and child in Stone Hedg me - they were all listening. All judging his words. Just as Blackwood and his party would when they entered the castle.

A misstep at this moment would be catastrophic, Jacaerys knew. He had to be precise. Convincing.

"I have heard testimonies from over a dozen lords. Seen letters with your signature, bearing your mark." Jacaerys patted at Vermax's neck to soothe him and his dragon huffed. "You've called for the death of my husband and my daughter, both members of the royal family whom share your blood."

At that, Otto and his brother both sneered. Their faces twisting in disgust. Jacaerys ignored them, plowing forward.

"You've questioned the legitimacy of my mother's regency, though your yourself have known of the king's declining health for years, Ser Otto." Jacaerys clicked his tongue. "And you continue to spread your vile lies even as Oldtown has faced attacks from the Ironborn, leaving it to myself and the Tyrells to fulfill your duty as it's defender."

Lord Hightower startled, as did many of the knights down in the courtyard. His eyes widened. Otto's did not. His jaw clenched only tighter, "So you claim."

"So I've seen," Jacaerys corrected him. "I started my search for you in Oldtown and chased the last of the Ironborn ships from the Whispering Sound on Vermax."

He turned his head to the elder brother, to Lord Hightower as he pressed a hand to his throat. While half of Otto's children and grandchildren resided in King's Landing, the same could not be said for Lord Hightower's heirs.

"Your grandchildren are safe, my lord, I saw them into the safekeeping of House Tyrell myself. The Hightower was spared the brunt of the attack, but it was not safe for them in Oldtown alone."

Eyes fluttered closed, held tightly shut. Whether he was grateful or not meant little. The man would certainly not admit it. Those same testimonies and letters said as much.

In the mind of Lord Hightower, Jacaerys was just as monstrous as Aegon. Just as unnatural and perverse.

And now Jacaerys had to march these men back to King's Landing. Protect them even, if necessary.

"I'd be well within my rights to kill you, for the threat you pose to my daughter alone," Jacaerys reminded them as he dropped to the battlements himself.

Vermax gave a shake. The castle shook with him. Jacaerys stalked forward. Hightower and Bracken both stepped back, heads bowing reflexively.

Otto did neither.

He'd faced dragons before, angry ones at that. Jacaerys smirked up at the taller man, grinning viciously. His hand rested on the pommel of his sword.

It was not Viserys that people compared him too when he was angry.

"We'll depart for King's Landing as soon as possible." Jacaerys ordered and Loed Bracken took the dismissal for what it was, fleeing to see to preparations.

Jacaerys Circled the Hightowers, surveying them. The weeks of running, months of travel, they'd taken a toll. Their clothes hung looser, belts tied tighter.

A part of him reveled in it. Aegon had been just the same when he left. If his husband was struggling, it was onyl fair those responsible for his suffering did as well.

"Try not to annoy Vermax," Jacaerys warned them as he stepped back, "He's been in a rather foul mood since we left Prince Aegon to come chase after you."

"Perhaps you should have stayed with your whore then," Otto scoffed, eyebrow arching even as his wrists were shackled. Defiant still. "If he's the one controlling your beast."

Jacaerys chuckled, jaw clicking, "Aegon calms him. As he does me." Vermax growled and Jacaerys beckoned for the knights to drag the two men away. "Call my husband a whore again and I'll take your tongue."

Notes:

Jace's current inner mantra is probably 'don't kill them' while Vermax is all ready with a fireball the moment it fails. A true battle of wills!