Actions

Work Header

Calvary

Summary:

Perhaps we should've listened... we shouldn't have been so invested in stories that are rooted in the suffering of others.

Notes:

This is Part 2 of a series. You will have no idea what's going on until you read Down Once More by me as well. Check the linked series if you're interested. :)

Chapter 1: Homecoming

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Lucifer was walking as fast as he could, Diavolo at his shoulder with Barbatos behind them keeping pace as they moved through the House of Lamentation from his study, which sat both silent and empty save for them, her and Mammon’s arrival imminent.

 

His heart was in his throat with anticipation. He had to restrain himself from flying off to find them sooner.

 

“Why are they taking so long?”

 

He was biting at the bit as Diavolo smiled at him, the mirror image to Lucifer in this moment. He looked almost relieved, his shoulders relaxed.

 

“I’m sure Charon is simply driving the speed limit.”

 

Lucifer groaned, pulling back a curtain to see the black hearse a distance away, his heart racing.

 

“Lucifer, wait, Mammon cautioned -”

 

He didn't wait for Diavolo to finish before he was out the door, marching down the steps and driveway, stopping in his tracks as the hearse stopped, the doors opening without assistance.

 

____

 

Evie felt the cool air hit her raw skin, stinging it as she looked out to the House of Lamentation, and she stood shakily while using the door for leverage as she saw him, lost for breath.

 

Lucifer.

 

He smiled so softly at her, his eyes bright and vibrant as she saw his chest stutter, the air stuck in his lungs.

 

“Come here.”

 

Her mouth hung open as she struggled to breathe, no more tears left in her as she took one step forward towards him before he ran to her, his coat flying behind him as she cried out, still in denial of where she was, her mind numb as Lucifer swung her upwards, cradling her in his arms.

 

“I’m here. I’m here.”

 

He kissed the side of her head as she neared hyperventilating, her head roaring with a pain that nearly blinded her vision. Another set of strong hands touched her back, sliding up it to turn her face towards him.

 

Diavolo.

 

“Oh Evelyn… get her inside.”

 

Lucifer swept her off her feet as she clung to him, fresh bloody tears coating the dried blood on her cheeks once again, Mammon running after them.

 

“Mammon, what happened?”

 

“Nothin’ ya wanna know.”

 

Her head screamed at her as they came inside, trying to focus on Mammon before he was pulled to the side by Barbatos, a stern look in his eye that pinned Mammon down where he stood.

 

She could barely keep her head up long enough to stay focused before she grew weak again, the loss of blood draining her energy. The lining of Lucifer’s coat was soft against her cheek.

 

They were moving fast down the hall, closing her eyes, muffled sounds of voices around her as they now rushed, outright running until she was being laid down on a bed, warm hands shaking her head.

 

“…en your… Evel… open your eyes.”

 

Her vision was crossed as she stared up, struggling to focus as golden eyes came into view, his smile warm despite the way they focused on her, filled with concern.

 

Her head was pounding, her body sweating as it ran a mile a minute.

 

“What’s wrong with her?”

 

He looked over to Lucifer, who had moved to the left of her, watching her with a solemn look of understanding as she felt her fangs extend.

 

She watched with wide eyes as he took off one of his gloves, Diavolo’s hand slipping underneath her neck, his fingers lacing into her hair snugly as Lucifer rolled up the sleeve of his uniform.

 

Diavolo’s grip on her neck tightened as Lucifer offered her his bare wrist, and she felt his warm skin on her lips.

 

Easy, Evelyn.”

 

Diavolo warned her before she sunk her fangs into Lucifer, his grip underestimating the speed in which she latched onto Lucifer as he swore, Lucifer hissing in pain but holding still, her eyes rolling into the back of her head as she closed them, her hands holding the back of his hand gently as she fed, her vision becoming clearer as she did.

 

The taste of Pride was thick on her tongue, heavy, hard to swallow but intoxicating. She was consumed with grandeur as she took what she was entitled to, and Lucifer sighed as he closed his eyes, his body in tune with hers as she removed her fangs, still drinking but no longer latched like a predator to its prey.

 

Diavolo eased off the nape of her neck, and she could feel the weight of his gaze as she swallowed Lucifer’s blood.

 

When she felt warmth in her cheeks was when she leaned back, her body still aching as it recovered from the blood loss, and she leaned back into the pillows, recognizing where she was.

 

Her room was almost just as she’d left it, though perhaps cleaner than she’d had it. It’d been clear that it’d been cleaned and made to feel warm and lived in, candles burning around the room, the smell of clean linen and spring flowers from the Devildom filling the room.

 

“Thank you.”

 

He applied pressure to his wound, stifling the venial bleed with his other hand before it glowed lightly, his wound healed within seconds.

 

“Are you feeling better?”

 

She shuddered, squeezing her eyes closed.

 

“I… I don’t…”

 

She blinked rapidly to clear the tears in her eyes.

 

She didn’t want to feel anything right then. She felt too much.

 

Diavolo shushed her, his thumb rubbing her cheek softly.

 

“You’re safe now, Evelyn. You’re home.”

 

She grimaced, turning away from his comfort, covering her eyes with her hand.

 

She didn’t deserve his comfort.

 

She whined out a sob, her breathing labored.

 

“Please… leave me alone.”

 

Diavolo frowned, his eyes dropping as Lucifer nodded slowly, withdrawing his hand from her.

 

She didn’t want to hurt them.

 

“Are you sure?”

 

She hugged her arms around herself as she nodded, curling into herself more and more.

 

She just needed to be alone.

 

“I’m sorry…”

 

Lucifer shook his head, standing quietly.

 

“Don’t apologize. Whatever you need is more than alright with us. We’ll be nearby if you need anything. Here…”

 

He pulled out a DDD from his pocket and set it down where she could see on the bed.

 

“Its yours, from before you left. Lucifer kept it for you.”

 

The door opened to Barbatos and Mammon entering the room, Barbatos carrying the suitcase from before.

 

She stared at, barely nodding.

 

Barbatos sat the suitcase down at the foot of her bed, Lucifer turning and shaking his head ‘no’ at him in response to a silent query.

 

They stood there for a moment, lingering as if they had more to say, but she felt herself drifting, the numbness of her mind pulling at her psyche; her reality in question.

 

The trim of the pillow was all she could see as they quietly left her, someone lingering in the door, looking at her before they closed the door quietly behind them.

 

She listened for their footsteps to leave her door before she groaned, sobbing into the pillow as she clenched her fists, claws digging into her palm painfully as she shook, her jaw clenched.

 

She watched the blood drop from her face onto the pillow, staining the white linen.

 

She wanted to scream until she lost her voice, holding back to not draw them back to her, and so she trembled with emotion.

 

This was not the homecoming she ever imagined.

 

_____

 

Diavolo felt the weight on his chest double in size as he closed the door to her room, his hand stuck on the doorknob.

 

Lucifer turned to look back at him mournfully, his eyes drawn tight before he let go, walking with them all down towards the closest common area; the library quiet save for the crackling of the fire there.

 

Barbatos opened the small side table next to one of the couches, pulling out a hidden bottle of demonus with three short crystal glasses, pouring a double shot in each of them.

 

Lucifer took one quietly, sitting down with his back to the fire, Diavolo following his example after a moment.

 

Mammon was the only one who sat there quietly, staring down at the floor in front of him, minorly startled as Barbatos handed him the glass.

 

“Oh… thanks.”

 

“Of course.”

 

Lucifer drank his in seconds, tilting his head back, clearing the burning sensation in his throat quietly.

 

Diavolo sighed, tilting is head towards Mammon.

 

“Mammon… are you alright?”

 

Lucifer listened intently, his crimson eyes focusing on the uncharacteristically quiet figure.

 

“… I will be… I ain’t the one to be worryin’ about right now.”

 

“You’re important too, Mammon. Don’t think to neglect yourself now.”

 

Mammon shotgunned his drink, setting it on the floor while bouncing his legs.

 

His shirt was covered in now dried blood, little hand prints running along his jacket. His hair was ruffled, the skin beneath his eyes dark, his skin covered in small cuts.

 

Lucifer leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees.

 

“What happened, then?”

 

Mammon rubbed the back of his hand on his face, itching it as his face dropped.

 

“… Its not for me to tell ya.”

 

Lucifer narrowed his eyes, and Diavolo frowned, his heart sinking.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“… Lot happened, Lucifer. I’ll tell ya that we got Baal out. He’s alive and kickin’, and was in Dis when we left. Anything more, yer gonna have to talk to Evelyn about.”

 

Barbatos stepped forward, giving Mammon a meaningful look, his expression stoic.

 

“That may be some time, Mammon. Its clear Ms. Evelyn is unwell, and knowledge of what happened may help us help her. Please tell us everything you can recall.”

 

Mammon glared up at Barbatos’s firm tone, chewing on his bottom lip.

 

“No.”

 

Diavolo sighed, both disappointed and irritated. Barbatos’s eyes flashed brightly at Mammon’s defiance, smiling down at him. The tension there was thick enough to cut with a knife as neither of them were willing to bend without someone stepping in.

 

Diavolo joined Barbatos in smiling, pushing past his need to know whats happened beneath the level of gratitude and relief he felt.

 

“He’s right, Barbatos. Evelyn will tell us when she’s ready. It would be unfair to force Mammon to break the trust between them for our mere curiosity.”

 

Barbatos nodded silently in acquiescence, stepping back behind Diavolo.

 

“I have a question, though.”

 

Diavolo shifted in his seat to look back at Lucifer, crossing his legs as he sipped his demonus, the sweet shadow cherry flavor burning his tongue.

 

“What happened to your demonio? Why did Charon drive you?”

 

Mammon tenderly clutched his chest, quite literally on the verge of tears.

 

Oh dear.

Notes:

Here it is! We're starting back at the beginning! This chapter is shorter just to get this posted so y'all can bookmark, give kudos, and subscribe for this chapter of the series.

Thanks for reading!