Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Stats:
Published:
2015-06-12
Completed:
2017-05-23
Words:
46,859
Chapters:
13/13
Comments:
95
Kudos:
475
Bookmarks:
79
Hits:
17,614

If I Lose Myself

Chapter 13: Chapter 13

Notes:

This is the LAST chapter for this story.

I'm SO SORRY that it took me so long to update and finish it. I want to say thank you to everybody who left comments, those who bookmarked it and those who took the time to like it. It meant a lot to me and again, I'm so sorry for the long wait. Now, I can concentrate on finishing up New Additions. I know some of you have wondered about that one. I'm working on it, I promise :)

Enjoy!!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

To Kurt:
I will pull every single piece of my hair out!

From Kurt:
Don’t do that!! I won’t have anything to grab onto when I fuck the stress out of you later ;) That and your hair is cute and curly.

To Kurt:
I have this week left and I’ll be done for good! I’m sorry it’s been hectic. That’s funny. I’m the one that’s busy this time lol.

From Kurt:
And I have been sending you nothing but sweet texts…just like you do for me when I’m so busy.

To Kurt:
And I love that, thank you. I should get back to studying. I’ll call you later, baby. Love you!!!

From Kurt:
Love you too!!

Blaine made himself set his phone aside and sighed. He still had finals to study for. The last couple of months of the spring semester has been busy for Blaine. It was difficult for Kurt to not go to the business office again and try to pay the rest of Blaine’s fees. And Blaine seemed to sense it because Blaine texted him and reminded him a few times that he will be perfectly fine with his school fees. Kurt begrudgingly agreed and also informed Blaine that if he needed help to please let him know.

Blaine knew it was difficult for Kurt not to do it, but he kept his word. He stroked the leather band that Kurt gave him not long after they started dating. Graduation was approaching. Blaine went through so many classes and he was going to graduate with honors.

“Blaine!” Nick called. Blaine groaned and debated on pretending he wasn’t in the apartment. “And don’t you dare pretend you don’t hear me! It’s finals! This is very important!” Nick yelled louder. Any louder and they were going to get another complaint from a neighbor. That was embarrassing enough.

“I’m coming,” Blaine said. Blaine dealt with stress his own way - by drinking too many energy drinks and scribbling notes everywhere. Nick, on the other hand, liked to yell and just panic.

“Blaine? When did we go over this stuff? I’ve been in that class all semester and I don’t remember ever going over any of this!” Nick started rambling. Blaine sighed as he went to the fridge and took out two more energy drinks.

“Yes, we did. Get your notes and textbook and we’ll go over it together.”

“What would I do without you?” Nick said gratefully. “If I didn’t have Jeff and you didn’t have Kurt, I’d so kiss you. On the cheek, brief peck, wouldn’t leave any saliva behind,” Nick said.

“Love you too, Nick.”

***

A single phone call was never so difficult. Kurt let out a long breath before he pressed Pam Anderson’s contact name and watched the display saying dialing. It wasn’t going to be a phone call but a video call. Something like proposing to someone was something more than just a phone call. It didn’t take long before he saw the display with Pam and her hair pulled back in a messy pony tail.

“Kurt! What a pleasant surprise! I’m sorry I’m a mess. Spring cleaning,” she apologized. Kurt smiled at the sight.

“It’s perfectly fine. I’m not interrupting, am I?” Kurt asked. His heart raced. If he wasn’t nervous before, he certainly was now.

“Not at all! What can I do for you? Is Blaine all right? How about Nick? And you?” Her voice was slightly worried for all three of her boys. That warmed Kurt’s heart. He loved Carole more than anything, but it was always so great when someone considered him family. His heart beat calmed at the thought.

“Everybody is fine. I just…I just have something very important to talk to you about,” Kurt started. There was a moment of silence and the nervousness came right back. Pam waited patiently.

“Is this about Blaine’s graduation?” Pam asked.

“Kind of…there’s something I really want to do. I put a lot of thought into it…” Kurt explained. Pam’s eyes brightened.

“Is this you asking permission to marry my son?” Pam asked excitedly. The fact that she seemed happy about the idea made Kurt feel so much better.

“Yes, it is. But I assure you it’ll be a long engagement. I want Blaine to get his life settled. I know he wants to be a teacher and I will gladly help him with…” Kurt was babbling now. Pam held up her hands to the camera.

“Kurt? Kurt? Honey? Calm yourself. It’s all right. And that’s good, you answered a question I had. The last thing I want is anything to be rushed,” Pam said in her motherly voice. Kurt sighed.

“Me too. All I can say is that I’ve never felt this way about someone before, not even when I was engaged. I’m not even sure if Blaine ever told you,” Kurt said. Pam nodded her head signaling that Blaine did tell her about that. “I love him so much. I know it hasn’t been a long time for us, but my dad told me that one day someone would walk into my life and I would never want them to leave. I really do hate it when he’s right.” Pam laughed.

“I actually told Blaine that very same thing. Attending high school hasn’t been the easiest for him. I was so thrilled when he said he met someone. It will be my pleasure to welcome you into our family,” Pam said sweetly. Kurt smiled.

“That makes me happy to hear. It really does. I do plan to propose the day after graduation. This way, graduation day can be spent celebrating. So…it’s really important that I have no interruptions and that it is just between me and him,” Kurt explained. Pam nodded.

“That will not be a problem. I will just my charms of persuasion to get Nick out of the apartment and stay out. Just tell me what you want to do,” Pam stated. Kurt smiled as he went into full detail about his plan.

***

Graduation was the most exciting day of Blaine’s life. Finally, he was finished with school and could move forward with his life. He couldn’t wait to start the process of being a teacher. It would be a struggle, but it would be well worth it. Blaine’s mom arrived the evening before. That evening was spent Blaine cooking dinner for him, Pam, Nick, Jeff, and Kurt.

Kurt brought the wine and cheesecake. Anytime he got to taste home cooking, especially if Blaine was the one cooking, he would definitely be attending. Kurt explained in every detail about how he was going to propose to Blaine and how important it was that there would be no interruptions. Pam loved it. It was perfect and Kurt really took the time to think about it and plan it to the very letter.

“I can tell you are just as much of a nerd as he is,” Pam commented. Kurt had laughed at that because it was true.

Blaine had the food in the oven and excused himself to go to the restroom. Once, Blaine, had the door shut Pam turned to Nick.

“Nicolai, listen to me very carefully. The day after graduation you and I, and Jeff will be out of this apartment for the whole day and possible evening. There are a number of shops to visit and sites to see. We will leave first thing in the morning, without Blaine. You don’t ask questions. Understood?” Pam nearly ordered while pointing a finger at Nick. Kurt had to cup his hand over his mouth to keep from laughing. She was right. She said would not have a problem with getting Nick out of the apartment.

“Umm…yes, Mrs. Anderson?” Nick said hesitantly. Jeff was baffled but he would never turn down a shopping spree.

“Was that a question?” Pam asked.

“No!” Nick said right away.

“Oh, good! I can't wait,” Pam said happily. “Oh, and you will not tell Blaine about it,” Pam added quickly when Blaine came out of the bathroom.

“What’s going on?” Blaine asked as he made a dash toward the oven. Nick was still a bit stunned by the sudden change in the atmosphere but he looked over at Jeff and smiled. Now was as good a time as any.

“Actually…there’s something I wanted to say,” Nick said with a gentle tone. Pam looked at him with a warning but Nick shook his head, letting her know it was not what she just told him. Kurt looked over at Blaine who was just as confused.

“What’s up, Nick?” Blaine asked. All attention was on Nick. Jeff smiled as he took a hold of Nick’s hand.

“Blaine, after graduation, during the summer, Jeff and I will be moving in together,” Nick announced. Blaine’s mouth gaped open.

“Oh wow, that’s great! Are you two moving in here or…” Blaine asked hesitantly.

“We’re going to find our own place. So, that means that I’ll be moving out,” Nick said with a guilty sounding voice. “Don’t worry, I am still going to help with rent while I’m still here and I will not leave you hanging.” Blaine smiled warmly and hugged his best friend.

“It’s fine. I’ll figure something out. I’m really happy for you two,” Blaine said sincerely.

Yes, Kurt thought. Blaine will definitely figure something out. Pam must have had the same thought because she looked at Kurt with a knowing grin on her face.

“Blaine, I totally request that you teach Nicky how to cook something other than boiling soup,” Jeff stated. Blaine laughed.

“Jeff, I’ve tried. Why do you think we don’t have curtains anymore? By the way, don’t buy curtains,” Blaine answered. He ran back to the oven and turned it off before taking the food out. Blaine laughed when he heard Nick’s voice crack.

“Once! That happened once! It was a grease fire and it could happen to anybody,” Nick tried to defend himself.

“But when I say don’t try to put it out with water…it actually means don’t put the fire out with water because you’ll cause a bigger fire,” Blaine stated. Kurt shook his head as he pulled out a pile of plates from the cupboard.

“It’s okay, baby. I still love you,” Jeff cooed. “But whatever Blaine’s cooking smells incredible.”

“Blaine was always the chef,” Pam said proudly. “Have you been practicing your Italian at all?” Blaine nodded while Kurt set the plates on the small kitchen table.

“I have,” Blaine answered. Kurt tried to hide the grin. Most of the time the Italian was practiced with Kurt and it was always while they were being intimate. It was the first time Kurt truly felt turned on by someone speaking in a language he did not know, but it was a very good night nonetheless. Kurt had to shake the memory away before he got too excited.

“Good. So long as you are using the language and not spending your time on those same websites I found when you were in high school,” Pam said simply. Blaine groaned as he hung his head.

“Mom…” Blaine mumbled.

“Oh, Blaine. I’m an adult. I know all about those porn sites. It’s perfectly natural. Though…some of those really odd sites where the guy ties up the other guy…” Blaine made a loud throat clearing sound. He didn’t miss Jeff and Nick holding back their laughter and Kurt being unusually quiet.

“Mom? Sit and eat,” Blaine said as politely as he could. Pam shrugged as she took her place at the table. Nick and Jeff joined her while Kurt leaned toward Blaine’s ear.

“That can be arranged…” he said in a seductive voice. He avoided giving Blaine a light lick on his ear. Not tonight. “This smells delicious, baby.”

Blaine smiled, for more than just one reason.

***

Graduation was one of the best days in Blaine’s and Nick’s life. The ceremony was long and even a little boring. There was a musical performance, which sadly neither Blaine or Nick was a part of. They spent most of the time mentally saying how they would have done better. Graduates were seated in alphabetical order so Nick and Blaine couldn't sit next to each other, but they had mental conversations in their head.

“This song does not fit his voice,” Nick thought.

“Right? And does she think she can sing opera?” Blaine thought in response.

They would have the conversation out loud later in the evening. Then there were a couple of speeches about going into the future and making a difference. Finally, it's time to announce the graduates. Blaine, being that his last name began with ‘A’, he got to be one of the first ones to receive his diploma. Granted, it wasn’t really his diploma, it was a fancy covering with Blaine’s full name embroidered on the top with a drawing of the campus inside. The actual paper would come in the mail weeks later.

After the event was over, Pam hugged Blaine so tight he could barely breathe. That was okay. He finally made it to graduation. Pam hugged on Nick before his parents later engulfed him in a proud hug. Kurt was able to attend the ceremony till the very end. He ignored his phone which buzzed obsessively throughout the whole event. Once it was over, Kurt had to rush to get going but Blaine could tell from the guilty look on his face that he tried very hard to ignore business. Blaine gave him a reassuring smile and told him to go.

Nick went with his parents along with Jeff while Blaine and Pam walked up and down the New York streets. The sun was set and the lights of the buildings shined brightly. Blaine took Pam to one of his favorite restaurants for dinner and bought her a pretzel. Well, he showed the cashier the card Kurt had made specifically for him and he got him and his mother free pretzels.

“I’m so proud of you,” Pam said for the umpteenth time in the evening. Blaine never got tired of hearing it. He got a message from Kurt a few times saying the same thing, and that he loved him.

“I can’t believe I’m finally done,” Blaine said as they made it back to the apartment.

“I know. My baby is all grown up. You’ll still be my baby, though. Now…I’m awfully tired. Early day tomorrow,” Pam said as they walked into the building.

“How so?” Blaine asked.

“I’ve been up early even without setting an alarm,” Pam said simply. Blaine just shrugged his shoulders as they walked into his apartment.

“I’ll get up with you then,” Blaine said.

“You will not!” Pam used her stern motherly voice. It was like Blaine said he was going to eat the last piece of chocolate cake in the fridge and Pam told him absolutely not. Blaine was taken aback by the sudden tone.

“Umm…”

“I’m just saying that this is a woman’s time to do her own shopping. I will be doing a lot of clothes shopping, which I know is not exactly your favorite thing to do. Nick said he would definitely help me pick out some clothes,” Pam explained.

“I don’t mind…” Blaine tried to say.

“Honey? I want you to take it easy tomorrow. So…stay here tomorrow. Now, I’m gonna get ready for bed. I’m sure you’re just as tired,” Pam said with a smile. She wasn’t lying. She leaned forward and gave Blaine a quick kiss on the cheek before she claimed the bathroom first. Blaine just smiled as he made his way to his room. Right as he was about to change into his pajama pants, his phone vibrated. He looked at the display to see Kurt’s name.

From Kurt:
Dinner tomorrow night? Just the two of us?

Blaine smiled as he typed out a reply.

To Kurt:
Yes, please :)

From Kurt:
Good :) Tomorrow will be memorable.

Blaine looked at the phone oddly.

From Kurt:
Gotta take care of a few more things. Talk to you tomorrow my love! I’m so proud of you!

Blaine let out a breathy laugh before he typed out a quick reply then proceeded to dress for bed.

***

Blaine had no idea what time it was when he woke up to the sound of someone knocking on his door. He rubbed his eyes as he crawled out of bed. He was pretty sure Nick wasn’t home and when he walked into the living room, his mother was gone. She wasn’t lying about being up early. He had the whole apartment to himself. That was a good thing because he hadn’t realized that he was about to answer the door in only a pair of boxers. It was too hot after awhile in his pajama pants and kicked them off in the middle of the night. He wasn’t sure what time it was but he had plans to go back to bed after he yelled at the person behind the door.

Maybe it was his mom and he didn’t give her a key. That thought came to him at last minute when he opened the door.

There was nobody in the doorway. He blinked a few times when he saw that there was a white balloon with a white ribbon tied at the end of a rolled up piece of paper on the other end. Blaine actually rubbed his eyes to make sure he was seeing what was in front of him. The white balloon had a detailed drawing of an owl’s head. Blaine looked both left and right of the hallway, there was nobody. He bent down and picked up the folded paper. He looked at the balloon one last time before he untied the ribbon.

Blaine unrolled the paper which felt like parchment paper. The letterhead was the seal to none other than Hogwarts School of Witchcraft Wizardry. Blaine’s mouth was gaped open as he read the letter.

Dear Mr. Anderson,

I am pleased to inform you that you have been selected to find the golden snitch. You must complete the scavenger hunt and collect the necessary items in order to find the golden snitch. The prize is Eternal Glory. Each item will provide a clue to find the next and is important to find the golden snitch.

Here is your first item and clue to find it. Good luck!! I’ll be waiting for you. - Kurt

Your first clue is located in a spot neither one of us care for,
But it’s the place that I saw a man I grew to adore.
Look for the same bartender with his beautiful lady,
They will have your first and second clue ready.

Blaine had to read the parchment over and over to understand that Kurt was sending him on a Harry Potter scavenger hunt. His eyes brightened as he nearly ran back to his room to get dressed. Maybe this was Kurt’s graduation present. He quickly threw on a pair of jeans and his favorite T-shirt. He almost left the apartment without shoes. Once he left the apartment he was going to text Kurt but remembered that he had a busy day so he probably wouldn’t see it. Besides, he was anxious to get to the very first place he met Kurt.

The night club Nick nearly dragged him to that one evening.

Once he made it to the club, of course, it was a night club so they weren’t open. Maybe Kurt meant to send the parchment in the evening. That wouldn’t make sense if they were having dinner the same evening. Blaine pondered before he knocked on the door. It didn’t take long for the door to open to show the bartender, Puck and his wife Quinn. They had wide smiles on their faces.

“We’ve been expecting you,” Quinn said sweetly. Blaine walked into the club and they closed the door behind them.

“Do you know what…” Blaine started to ask.

“Yes we do, and no we’re not allowed to tell you. You have to finish the hunt,” Quinn answered.

“Trust me, you’re going to love it!” Puck insisted excitedly. Quinn rolled her eyes as she brought Blaine to the back room. It was the same room she brought him in when Kurt requested to meet Blaine in private. That night Blaine had no idea what he was getting into meeting someone he never heard of. Blaine walked into the private room. He flicked a switch and saw a white stuffed owl sitting on the sofa with a card sitting on it.

Blaine walked over to the owl, admired the cuteness and read the card.

Hedwig says it’s time to eat
At the last place, I thought we would meet.
We love the same flavor
Each bite something to savor.
Don’t forget the card I gave you
Or else you’re stuck with clue number two.

Blaine nearly ran out of the back room with Hedwig in his hand. Quinn smiled as Blaine ran out of the club in a hurry. Puck nudged her a bit.

“My proposal was awesome, right?” He asked.

“All you did was ask me if I wanted to get married or what,” Quinn said.

“Yeah, but that didn’t stop you from saying yes.” Quinn smiled. It certainly didn’t.

***

Blaine ran inside his favorite soft pretzel place with Hedwig in one hand and the card in the other. It was the card the cashier gave him to assure that, on Kurt’s behalf, that he would get a free pretzel and drink every time he presented the card. Once he arrived, he gave the cashier the card and she knew right away what he needed.

She came back a few minutes later with a little plastic pretzel bag and gave him big smile. He looked inside and saw a soft pretzel in the shape of the deathly hallows symbol with sour cream and onion powder. There was a card in front of the pretzel. He walked out of the place with the bag and quickly pulled the card out. He found a bench to sit so he could place Hedwig on his pretzel, to guard it mostly.

I know a pretzel just won’t do
That’s why there’s an order waiting for you.
Don’t worry about the price like on our first date
Because food and the next clue for you await.

‘I haven’t written poetry since high school…don’t hate me if they sound lame.’ - Kurt

Blaine laughed at the little comment from Kurt. He ate his pretzel and made his way toward the restaurant Kurt took him on their first date. He took his time getting to the restaurant just admiring the city and holding onto his plushy Hedwig. He wondered for Kurt was up to, not that he minded doing a Harry Potter scavenger hunt.

Maybe that was why his mom was so adamant about going shopping without Blaine. She wasn’t wrong, he didn’t care for clothes shopping. His mind wandered to the fact that Nick wouldn’t be his roommate possibly after the Summer was over. He couldn’t keep the apartment that was for sure. He would have to find a cheaper place to live. He tried not to think about that. Apartments weren’t cheap, especially with only a part-time and who knew how long he would be able to find a teaching position.

He shook the thought from his head as he found the restaurant and walked in. The hostess looked over at Blaine and saw the owl and knew right away. Her eyes widened as she brought him to the same table he and Kurt had on their first date. It wasn’t set for two people, just the one. He sat at the table and the lady pulled the curtains so he would have privacy. He set Hedwig on the table and waited. Minutes later, she came back with a plate covered with a silver covering, set it in front of him and closed the curtains again.

He pulled the top off and he saw the same Italian dish he ordered on their first date. He was flattered that Kurt remembered. The lady came back one more time, this time with an envelope.

“I was told to give this to you after we delivered your food. Let me know if you want to take it to go,” she said. Blaine thanked her and she closed the curtain one last time. Blaine took a few bites of his food before he opened the envelope.

Just a little fact before the next clue:

That was the first night I heard you speak Italian, and it was the hottest thing in the world. I knew you were smart as hell and you have no idea how wonderful it felt that you wanted to know about me, from me, and not from what Google says. You were nervous, and to confess, I was nervous as well. Yes! I was nervous. Can you blame me? I hadn’t dated in over six years and you were so fucking cute. I don’t regret it for a second.

Okay, I’m done, for now, here’s your next clue.

Live in my house
I’ll be your shelter
Just pay me back with one thousand kisses
Be my lover
And I’ll cover you

That was all it said. Blaine smiled at that. That was the song he sang for his audition and it was the same place he told Kurt he loved him. He wondered if he could still go on campus and into the auditorium. Whatever Kurt had planned, he must have gotten them to make an exception. Blaine nearly forgot to grab Hedwig when he raced out of the restaurant without asking for a to-go bag. Once he was out of the restaurant, Malcolm was outside in the car, waiting for him.

The window rolled down and he smiled at Blaine.

“Need a lift?” he asked. Blaine laughed as he got into the car. Malcolm pulled into traffic.

“What are the chances you know what Kurt is up to?” Blaine asked.

“The chances are high, and I’m under strict orders not to tell you anything about it, or give hints,” Malcolm answered. Blaine groaned a little but he couldn’t contain the smile on his face. Of course, Malcolm wouldn’t be able to tell Blaine anything.

“You do know where you’re going, right?” Malcolm asked. Blaine smiled at him.

“The auditorium.”

***

Blaine ran out of the car and into the auditorium. The door was unlocked. He was the only one in the building. The light was blaring on the stage and there was something sitting in the center. Blaine walked up the small staircase bent down toward the object. It wasn’t the golden snitch. It was another stuffed animal with an envelope leaning against it.

A red bird.

It was Fawkes the Phoenix. Blaine picked up the envelope and opened it.

Another fact before the poem. This one will be kind of long.

I chose this place because this is where you told me you loved me. When I said it to you first, I was saying in a hurry and I didn’t realize I did until later. To be honest, I was a bit horrified, but when you said it back the night of the play, I felt like my heart beat truly for the first time in a long time. That sounds sappy and I don’t care.

This is the last clue…and maybe you’ll get the golden snitch. Don’t forget Fawkes. I’m sure Hedwig wouldn’t mind the company, ha!

I had you running around town only to go back to the beginning.
It’s important because that’s where I’m waiting.
So get here soon and without a hitch
Because you never know, you may find the golden snitch.

Blaine laughed as he tucked the letter in his pocket. He grabbed Fawkes and ran back into the car. Blaine wasn’t sure what time it was, but it didn’t take long to back to his apartment. His mind wandered to all of the clues he found and what they meant. The pretzels. The restaurant. The play and the pieces of paper. Kurt was pouring his heart out for something. Before he knew it, Malcolm pulled up in front of Blaine’s building.

“He’s waiting for you,” Malcolm said. Blaine let out a breath before he grabbed Fawkes and Hedwig and slowly made his way out of the car and into the building. Part of him wanted to text his mom or Nick. He decided against it when he got to the door. His first instinct was to knock, but then he remembered it was his apartment. He turned the knob and pushed the door slowly. There was no sign of Kurt, or his mom or Nick.

There were two candles on the tiny dining room table. In between the two candles was something round and gold. Blaine closed the door, set Fawkes and Hedwig down and walked over to the golden snitch. It was sitting on a folded piece of paper. He could tell the ball opened but he opened the paper first.

Congratulations, Mr. Anderson! You have found the golden snitch!!

The prize is Eternal Glory…

If you say yes…

That was all that it said. Blaine opened the snitch and sitting in the middle was a ring. A bright, silvery ring with black wording and a single diamond. There was a black symbol around the diamond; the deathly hallows symbol. The wording read, ‘always’. Blaine took in a breath as he unconsciously dropped the paper and pulled the ring out of the snitch. He didn’t even hear Kurt walk behind him and kneel down beside him.

“Well? What do you say?” Blaine jumped a bit that he almost dropped the ring. He saw Kurt kneeled down in front of him. He was down on one knee. “Will you marry me?”

The words sounded so surreal. Blaine opened his mouth but no words came out. He stuttered as he fell to his knees in front of Kurt.

“Okay,…you’re either so happy that you’re speechless or I just gave you a heart attack…” Kurt tried to joke but the fact that Blaine hadn’t said anything was worrying him. Blaine finally laughed as he dropped the snitch box and it rolled away.

“The first one…I swear. And yes, of course, I’ll marry you!” Blaine finally said. Kurt let out a relieved laugh as he threw his arms around Blaine’s neck and kissed him hard. Blaine dropped the ring which caused Kurt to break the kiss and pick it up quickly. He quickly put the ring on Blaine’s finger. He hadn’t realized his hands were shaking.

“I’ve never done this before…” Kurt said out loud. Blaine laughed as they got up on their feet.

“I’ve never had this done for me before. The whole Harry Potter scavenger hunt and everything…” Blaine’s heart beat so rapidly.

Kurt Hummel, high profile billionaire just proposed to Blaine Anderson. He had to sit somewhere. Blaine held onto Kurt’s hand as they sat at the dining table.

“I planned everything. I got some advice from Malcolm and he said that it had to be memorable…” Kurt explained.

“It definitely was…” Blaine said softly. It was slowly dawning on him. The ring was on his finger and it felt so odd. Kurt could see the doubt in Blaine’s eyes.

“Blaine? Blaine? Now, let me say this. I’m not planning on getting married tomorrow or next week, not even next month. I really want you to be settled in a job of your own. I know you want to be a teacher. Believe me, I want more than anything to help you achieve that. We can talk about that house in the suburbs.” The more Kurt talked the more Blaine felt calm.

“I’m thinking maybe in the next year or so. Whenever you are ready. I know we have a lot to talk about. You’re not…you’re not having second thoughts are you?” Kurt asked a bit frightfully. Blaine let out a breath and kissed Kurt softly.

“No, no second thoughts. I agree. We have a lot to talk about, but my answer is still the same.” Kurt smiled as he leaned in for another kiss. He stopped midway when there was a loud noise outside the apartment door.

“Santana? Rachel? What are you two doing here?” That was Jeff. He would be the only one to know them.

“We wanna know if Kurt proposed or not!” Rachel responded.

“I’m sorry, who are you two?” Pam asked.

“Maybe we shouldn’t…” Nick started. There was a loud banging on the door.

“Kurt! You can have celebratory sex later!” Santana yelled. Kurt groaned as he buried his head into Blaine’s shoulder.

“You have quite the mouth. I might like you,” Pam said. “But Blaine! Honey! If you are having sex we can wait out here till you’re done.” It was Blaine’s turn to groan.

“Blaine! Your mom is a badass!”

“Maybe we should go,” Rachel said timidly. Kurt got up from the couch.

“Maybe if we are really quiet…” Blaine whispered. Kurt shook his head.

“They’d find out eventually,” Kurt said. Blaine sighed as he got up from the couch and followed Kurt to the door. They looked at each other one last time before they opened the door. Kurt held up Blaine’s hand to let everybody know that he was wearing the ring. Pam cooed as she hugged Blaine tightly. Rachel and Santana hugged Kurt. After Blaine gave Nick and Jeff hugs he closed the door.

“We are starving! We’re gonna order some Chinese food…” Santana started. Blaine laughed as Kurt walked over to Blaine and wrapped his arms around him.

“It’s going to be a long night,” he whispered into Blaine’s ear.

“The first of many,” Blaine whispered back. Kurt squeezed his hold around Blaine. He loved that idea.

“I love you so much,” Kurt said.

“I love you too.”

“I want the record to show, that if it had not been for me, there would be no engagement!” Nick yelled with triumph.

Kurt released his hold on Blaine. Neither one could even deny that.

“All right. Tell us how you planned this so called perfect proposal,” Santana said with disinterest. Although, she had waited all damn day to hear the news that Kurt would pop the question to the cute curly haired boy that made her and Rachel crepes for breakfast.

“Yes, I want to hear everything,” Rachel said with a happy sigh.

“And how come I didn’t know about it?” Nick asked. Kurt looked at Nick.

“Seriously, baby? Even I know you wouldn’t be trusted with something like that,” Jeff said. Nick looked at his boyfriend with a gaped mouth.

“Are you saying I can’t keep a secret?” Nick asked.

“Yes, that’s exactly what everybody is saying,” Blaine answered. There was a round of laughter as Jeff gave Nick a sweet kiss on the cheek.

The rest of the evening was spent talking about the scavenger hunt, the first time Blaine and Kurt went on a date, and what the future would hold for them, and eat Chinese food. Blaine couldn’t help but play with the ring on his finger. He would have to get used to it, but he couldn’t stop smiling.

***

It was a few months after the engagement that Kurt and Blaine talked about going public. When Kurt was being featured in a magazine spread, they both decided that was the time to do it. He was specific about who the photographer was and who would write the article. The whole spread was mostly centered around Kurt, but there were a couple of photos of Blaine and Kurt in the magazine. The article didn’t center around Kurt’s engagement, but just Kurt as the person.

Blaine achieved the proper certification and was able to find a job teaching at an art school. He was a choir director and he loved it. A few students knew who he was from the article in the magazine, but that didn’t seem to last very long. Students who attended an exclusive art school was there to achieve a goal.

There were no details about when the wedding would take place or where. It was still ways away. Some shows, like TMZ, tried to report that Kurt Hummel was indeed a male cougar and that their engagement would not last long. Eventually, they lost interest in that story and moved on to another celebrity.

They found their house in the suburbs. Malcolm liked that drive so much better than the penthouse. It was away from the city. Kurt was still just as busy as ever, but he always tried to make time to at least come home to eat a home cooked dinner his soon to be husband made for him. His soon to be husband.

Both Kurt and Blaine loved the sound of that.

If I lose myself tonight
I’ll be by your side.

Notes:

Title and ending lyrics are inspired by the song, If I Lose Myself by OneRepublic