Actions

Work Header

The Duke Who Loved Me

Chapter 8: The Duke Who Loved Me

Notes:

Hello! So first of all I wanted to apologise for this chapter being a little later than usual. I had to take a week off for mental health reasons and also life has just been super hectic recently! I actually graduated from university just yesterday which was amazing, but it's been pretty crazy recently.

Also, the first chapter of my next D20 fic is already out! It's an Unsleeping City AU based off the book The City We Became by N.K. Jemisen. No pressure to read it of course, but if that sounds interesting to you I would love it if you gave it a shot!

Anyway, without further ado, I hope you enjoy the final chapter of The Duke Who Loved Me

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Fabian awoke to a cool, late summer breeze on his bare chest and a pleasant ache throughout his body. He let out a contented groan as he stretched himself out, keeping his eyes closed for a moment as he basked in the sensation of having just woken up. It was only when he noticed the lack of another person in his arms that he finally opened his eyes to find himself alone. He let out a small grunt as he sat himself up, fishing around for his shirt and haphazardly shrugging it back on.

Light was only just beginning to fill the sky, the sun not even having risen yet as rain drizzled from the sky. Fabian supposed he should go and pay Adaine a visit. He did have to marry her now, after all, there was no way his honour would let him abandon her after taking her maidenhood. It wasn’t quite the outcome he had wanted, but he supposed he could make it clear to Adaine that they would have to remain only as friends throughout their marriage. Procreation would not be a problem, after all, they had a clear attraction to each other, but love simply could not be allowed. Fabian cared for her too much to allow her to fall in love with him, and so he would have to keep her at arm’s length. He hoped that when he passed, she would be able to forgive him for that.

Pulling on the rest of his clothes, Fabian left the O’Shaughnessy Manor and made his way over to the Abernants. But not before a quick detour to his own home was made; he could hardly propose without a ring, and he already knew that Hallariel’s would be a perfect fit.

He barged into the Abernant Manor with vigour, ignoring all social customs and etiquette as he flung open the doors without anyone even letting him in. “I need to see the Lady Adaine now, it is important,” He demanded at the servant on the door. The young lad looked around nervously. Clearly dealing with eccentric nobles was far out of his jurisdiction.

“I-I’m sorry, your grace, most of the manor is still asleep. If the head butler were awake he might be able to assist you –“

At that moment, a young maidservant came scrambling down the halls. “It’s the Lady Adaine! She’s gone out in the storm in only her nightclothes – she’ll surely be hurt if we don’t do something!” She fretted.

Fabian pushed past the young man and grabbed the maidservant by the arm. “Show me where,” he told her, allowing her to escort him outside hurriedly. In the distance, obscured by the fog and rain, Fabian could barely make out the outline of a horse with a small figure on top. Without asking permission or bothering to saddle up, Fabian climbed atop of another horse and barrelled after Adaine. He clicked his heels sharply against the horse’s rear, urging him to go faster so that he could reach her. Slowly but surely, the distance between them closed, and he got close enough to see the look of panic on her face as her horse flung her backward and she tumbled to the floor. He didn’t hesitate a second before jumping off his own horse and running to her.

“Adaine! Adaine!” He screamed, his voice barely audible above the loud thunder and crashing rain. He bent over her body; his legs being caked with mud as he called to her. She didn’t respond, her gaze vacant and cloudy. “Don’t close your eyes Adaine. Do you hear me? Don’t you dare close your eyes!”

He scooped her up into his arms as her eyes closed, her body going limp in his arms.

“Fuck!” He cursed, “No, Adaine, no. Don’t you dare leave me!” He carried her body as fast as he could through the rain back to where his carriage was waiting. He couldn’t leave her here; he didn’t trust her parents to take care of her. Seacaster Manor was no good either, rumours would spread if she was found there. There was only one place he could take her, the last place she was known by most to be.

Fabian cradled her in his arms as he ordered his footman to drive them to the O’Shaughnessy Manor, his breath coming out in feverish pants as he clutched her cold body the whole ride there. He refused to let himself succumb to the panic attack; he may not have been able to save his father, but he would do his damn best to save her.

He crashed into the O’Shaughnessy Manor right as the family, along with Aelwyn, were headed down the stairs to breakfast.

“Is that Adaine?” Aelwyn asked hysterically, pushing to the front of the group and rushing over to where Fabian stood carrying her limp sister.

“She’s hurt, she fell – for Christ’s sake someone call the doctor!” Fabian yelled as the family jumped into action.

“Sandra Lynn, call for the doctor. Tracker, Kristen, I need you both to get hot towels and a jug of water – now!” Jawbone instructed, “Fabian give her to me, I’ll put her in a bed upstairs,”

Fabian refused to let go of her, and with a sigh of resignation and no time to argue, Jawbone instead lead him up the stairs to a spare bedroom. The two men, flanked by Aelwyn, put Adaine into bed, covering her shivering body with blankets.

“Aelwyn, there’s some fresh clothes in that drawer there. Can you change your sister out of her wet nightgown for us?” Jawbone asked, and Aelwyn instantly nodded, her body trembling almost as badly as Adaine’s was.

“Yes, yes of course,” She nodded, and Jawbone pulled Fabian out of the room so that she could get to work.

Jawbone exhaled sharply and leaned against the wall outside the room. “The doctor will be here soon, I’m sure. I don’t know why you thought to bring her here, but I’m glad you did. Aelwyn is going to be living with us for the foreseeable future. She mentioned some… concerning things about the Duke and Duchess of Fallinel. We just – didn’t feel right sending her back there.”

Fabian collapsed against the floor, running his hands over his face as the adrenaline fully drained from his body. “I couldn’t leave Adaine with her parents either. I didn’t trust them to look after her.” He mumbled.

Jawbone crouched down and placed a hand on Fabian’s shoulder. “You know kiddo, things haven’t exactly been easy for you recently, have they? You’re more than welcome to stay with us while Adaine recovers, or however long you might need.”

Fabian shook the hand off his shoulder and staggered to his feet. “No… no thank you. I - I shouldn’t be here when she wakes,” He mumbled, the ring box in his pocket feeling as though it weighed a thousand tonnes.

Jawbone made no move to stop him when he slumped down the stairs to leave the manor but did call after him. “Fabian? I think you saved that girl’s life by bringing her here.” 

Fabian looked back but didn’t respond. With a firm nod, he left the O’Shaughnessy Manor and made his way home.


Aelwyn Abernant did not leave her sister’s bedside. Not when the doctor came, not when it was mealtime, and not when Jawbone finally came up long after nightfall and told her she needed to get some rest. The doctor had said that Adaine would be fine, that she may not wake for a few days but that keeping her warm and comfortable would keep her out of harm’s way. That wasn’t good enough for Aelwyn; she wouldn’t believe that her sister was safe until she opened her eyes again.

And so, Aelwyn Abernant fell into a routine. She would read, or do needlepoint at Adaine’s bedside, unable to resist checking her pulse and breathing every five minutes to make sure that she was still alive. Normally someone would join her at mealtime, bringing up food and chatting with her and the unconscious Adaine. Usually, this person was Fig, Jawbone, or Sandra Lynn. Sometimes Kristen or Tracker came to sit with them. One time, Princess Ayda herself came to visit, which had gotten Aelwyn up out of her seat.

The Princess had taken one look at Adaine and nodded resolutely. “She is strong, she will get through this.”

That made Aelwyn smile for the first time in a long while.

After company had left, and night began to fall, Aelwyn would stay awake for as long as her feeble body would allow. She would cling to her sister’s hand until the exhaustion finally consumed her and she passed out in her chair, only for the sun to rise and the routine to start again.

One morning, on the fourth day of Adaine’s coma, Kristen came up with breakfast.

“Hey Aelwyn, how are you doing?” She asked gently, passing her a plate stacked high with eggs and bacon even though she would barely eat any of it.

“I’m alright, I suppose,” Aelwyn sighed, her voice weak and hoarse. “Actually, how are you? I realise that I have been so wrapped up in my own world that I hadn’t thought to check in on you after…”

Kristen shrugged. “Your sister has been asleep for three days, Aelwyn, I don’t blame you for forgetting about everything else,” She gave Aelwyn a small, good-natured smile. “But I am alright. I mean, I wasn’t at first. My privacy being hugely invaded and knowing exactly what everyone in the ton would be saying about me? It felt awful. But then I realised… I don’t care. What’s the worst that will happen, really? Some people that I don’t like won’t like me?”

“But – doesn’t your reputation matter to you? Don’t you want to find whoever leaked the scandal and make them pay?” Aelwyn asked, bewildered.

“Not really. I mean, I don’t really like going to balls anyway, and it’s not like I was looking for a suitor at them. My family here loves me, and Tracker loves me. If the ton really doesn’t want me then living in seclusion with the people I love doesn’t seem like a bad way to spend my life, you know?”

Aelwyn wrung her hands together in her lap, unable to imagine a life not caring about one’s reputation. “You really love Tracker, don’t you?” She whispered, having seen the two interacting during her time at the manor and feeling an inexplicable pang in her heart at the sight of them. “Why do you think she wasn’t named? In the society papers?”

“Probably because the speculation drives more gossip. The members of the ton, they’re like vultures. Every part of everyone’s life matters to everyone, and the moment you step out of line you’re cast out until they find someone else to prey on. Not knowing the woman I was having an affair with keeps the scandal interesting, and it turns people against each other as the accusations fly. I think that’s really all there is to it,”

“Kristen? How… how did you know? That you were in love with a woman?” Aelwyn asked, feeling a deep shame in the pit of her stomach even asking the question.

Kristen simply shrugged. “Nothing in my life felt right until Tracker kissed me, and I just sort of realised that… I wasn’t the way that my mother told me I had to be. And I was okay with that, because hiding that part of myself would only hurt me more.”

That made Aelwyn want to cry. She wanted to pretend that she didn’t know why, to keep living in a world of denial and safety. But she did, she did know why.

“I think I understand what you’re saying,” She admitted, but before she could think about her own feelings any longer, a soft cough came from the bed. Kristen and Aelwyn whipped their heads around, just in time to see Adaine Abernant opening her eyes.

“Jawbone!” Aelwyn shouted, scrambling to her feet. “Jawbone call the doctor! Adaine’s awake!”


In the days after he had left Adaine at O’Shaughnessy Manor, Fabian spent most of his time alone. He barely ate, he barely slept, simply locked himself in his office and drowned himself in his work. And when his work was done, he would drown himself in drink until he passed out. He would still wake up inexplicitly in the comfort of his own bed every morning, with the sneaking suspicion that Cathilda must have carried him there in the night.

He had not had the courage to visit Adaine in her condition, but he did have Cathilda send round fresh flowers and a small parcel of homemade cookies to her every day. Jawbone O’Shaughnessy had sent him a letter confirming that Adaine would be alright, but it was not good enough for Fabian. He would fear for her life until he heard word that she had awoken.

His fear finally dissipated on the fourth day, when his mother knocked on his office door. She didn’t say anything, just hovered in the doorway wordlessly.

“She’s awake?” Fabian whispered, hoping with all his heart that his mother hadn’t come bearing worse news.

Hallariel gave him a weak smile and nodded. “Cathilda just heard from the maids at O’Shaughnessy Manor.”

Fabian let out a shaky exhale, the tension that had been pulled taut in his body for the past three days instantly dissipating. He gave his mother a wobbly smile, as tears started to trickle inexplicitly down his cheeks.

“Oh, my boy,” Hallariel whispered, closing the door behind her and taking a seat next to him. The second her arm wrapped around him, he was burying his face into her shoulder and crying against her. “Let it all out Fabian, it’s alright,” She soothed. And for the first time since his father had died, Fabian allowed himself to weep, and to seek comfort from his mother who loved him so dearly.

“I cannot even begin to imagine the pain of finding someone like that… someone you love,” Hallariel whispered, tears welling up in her own eyes as she held her son. “Oh, Fabian… I wish it had not been you who was with your father that day. It is all I think about, every morning when I wake up and every night before I go to bed; how I failed you that day and all the days after that. I am so sorry, my darling boy. I was too consumed by my own grief that I forgot that my baby boy needed me to be there for him, and I wasn’t.”

“Mama…” Fabian sniffled from her shoulder, holding her tightly. He peered up at his mother’s face, her own breath hitching as she tried to hold back the sobs that were threatening to burst forth. “I do not think that I can go and see her,” He confessed, his voice barely coming out as a whisper.

“Fabian,” She choked out, her voice thick with sorrow. “Losing your father, the pain of that was… indescribable,” She glanced up at the large portrait of Bill Seacaster that hung over the fireplace, “But I find some solace in the knowledge that I would choose my life with him again and again. I would go through that pain a thousand times if I had the choice because love, true love, is worth it.”

Fabian gnawed at his lower lip. “The other night, at the O’Shaughnessy Manor… I ruined her mama. I – we…” He tried to explain but the words would not come out. His mother understood regardless.

She let out a soft ‘oh’ and cupped Fabian’s tear-stained cheeks tenderly between her hands. “Darling, I do not think that there is anything ruinous about two people expressing their love for one another. Go and see her Fabian, please. Do not lose her – you cannot lose her.”


When Adaine awoke, her world went from a dark, silent, solitude to an explosion of voices and bodies around her. Doctors flitted around, Aelwyn wept, and the O’Shaughnessy family fretted over her and talked in a cacophony of loud, overlapping voices.

“I think we should give Adaine some space while she readjusts, alright?” Jawbone stepped in eventually, his voice calm and even amongst the frantic joy and relief. “Would you like anyone to stay with you Adaine?” He asked.

“Would… would you?” She asked, her voice hoarse from not having spoken in days.

Jawbone O’Shaughnessy smiled warmly. “Of course.”

He sat at her bedside as the doctors finished up and held her hand. He didn’t try and speak or ask her to speak to him. He just sat there; a comforting, grounding presence as she came back to reality after days of slumber.

Eventually the doctors left, and Adaine asked Jawbone what had happened while she had been asleep. She learned that he had sent a letter to her parents informing them of her and Aelwyn’s whereabouts and condition. With their relative safety confirmed and Jawbone’s offer to look after them extended, Arianwen and Angwyn Abernant had returned to Fallinel before the end of the social season - without their daughters.

Over the next few days, she decided that she was well enough to take visitors. It did her good, to be surrounded by people who cared. Although she could only handle a few people at a time, and not for very long. It was early one afternoon when she received a visitor that she had been anticipating for days.

“Fabian!” She startled, attempting to sit up in bed at his presence but wincing with the pain. He made a motion for her not to get up.

“Please, you need your rest,” He insisted gently, a bunch of pink tulips clutched tightly in his hands. Adaine’s eyes flickered from his hands to the vase at her bedside table. She had heard from Fig and Kristen of Fabian’s daily gifts.

“Thank you, for the flowers,” she told him quietly, and she hoped that he knew she wasn’t just talking about the ones he had brought today.

He let out a soft, almost bashful laugh and swapped out the flowers in the vase for the fresh ones he had brought.

“I… Jawbone told me it was you, who found me that morning and brought me here safe,” Adaine spoke if only to fill the silence. The atmosphere was tense and thick between them, and Adaine could tell that Fabian had something he wanted to say, only he wasn’t speaking it.

“I am thankful that I did. Who knows what else might have happened if I hadn’t.” He spoke simply, plainly. His concern for Adaine was clear, but he was holding himself back. Even during their arguments, there had always been a fondness for her in his voice, even when he had been engaged to her sister. But this Fabian was cold and distant, closing himself off and not letting any true emotion shine through.

“Was there something else, Fabian?” She asked, hoping that her rudeness could be forgiven. She was sick, injured, and tired; dealing with Fabian Seacaster’s brooding was not exactly something she had the capacity to deal with right now.

“I called on you, that morning.” He volunteered the information carefully. “That is why I found you,”

“I see,” Adaine replied, similarly as guarded.

“I called on you to apologise,” he said, and there was just the barest hint of sincereness in that. “I called on you to apologise for my behaviour at the ball. I was reckless, and… you deserved so much more than that, Adaine. It is not that I regret – that is to say, I wanted what happened between us, I just did not want it to happen like that. So… I came to apologise – “

“Fabian – “

“– And to ask you to marry me.” He thrust the ring box towards her unceremoniously, a slight tremble in his hand as Hallariel Faeth’s sapphire ring was presented to her.

Adaine was about to chastise him like she had when they had danced together at the Seacaster ball; insist that nothing had happened between them so there was no need to apologise. Adaine was more than happy to go on with her life pretending like nothing had happened between them, but now this? The fact that they had caused so much scandal already and now his honour trapped him into marrying her because of the liberties they had both taken? It made her feel sick. In fact with the condition she was in, she genuinely did feel bile rising up in her throat which she quickly tried to push back down.

“What are you doing?” Adaine whispered, staring at the ring with horror.

“Adaine Abernant, I am asking you to –“

“No – no. I do not need you to ask me anything.” She stammered out, and when he tried to speak again, she blurted it out.

“I am marrying Ragh Barkrock!”

Now it was his turn to stare at her in stunned disbelief.

“I am marrying Ragh Barkrock,” She repeated, the words heavy and bitter on her tongue. “He came to visit me yesterday. I asked if his proposal was still on the table, and he said yes. We are to be married once I am recovered.”

Fabian Seacaster’s trembling hands closed the ring box and tucked it back in his pocket.

“You’re running away.” His voice was soft, but Adaine felt the sting of his accusation nonetheless.

“I am doing what is right. For me. For you. Who else would have me now after what has happened?”

I would have you,” Fabian insisted incredulously, “Or did my proposal not make that clear enough?”

“You do not want a wife, Fabian, you want a duchess!” Adaine despaired, “And I cannot – I will not - be that for you. We would both be miserable in such an arrangement, and you know that. Find yourself your duchess and I will save myself from ruin by marrying Ragh. That is the only way we can come out of this unscathed. Perhaps once this is all over, we can find our way back to being friends. But we can never be married Fabian, you know that. Our families have been through enough scandal because of us.”

Fabian stood there in silence as she spoke. He knew that she was choosing the easy option. She was still thinking about everyone else before herself, even her awful parents who had left the city without her while she lay unconscious for days.

“I think that you are a coward, Adaine,” He whispered.

She did not respond. She knew that she was.

“Thank you, for the flowers.” She replied, and without another word, Fabian turned on his heels and left.


Adaine’s recovery was not speedy, but she did find herself growing in strength day by day. By the day of the last ball of the season, she found herself wandering around the manor she had now learned to call home. Of course, it was only a temporary home until she married Ragh Barkrock, but it was more of a home than the Abernant Manor ever had been.

It wasn’t long until she found herself stumbling upon Aelwyn’s room, her sister sat on the windowsill writing in a journal.

“Adaine!” She jumped up from the windowsill, placing the journal face down on her seat. “You should not be walking around on your own! Sandra Lynn will throw a fit if she sees you out of bed,” She fussed.

“I am fine, Aelwyn,” Adaine insisted gently, “I am feeling better than I have in a long time. I may even attend Ayda’s ball tonight - after a week in bed I’m feeling up to it.”

“Well, you shouldn’t push yourself,” Aelwyn huffed, and for the first time in their lives, Adaine could hear true fondness behind her sister’s sardonic façade.

“Aelwyn I… I was looking for you actually,” Adaine confessed, her sister raising a brow in question. “I wanted to apologise, for what happened at your wedding. I realised when I woke up that I never did say sorry, and I want you to know that it was never my intention to hurt you, even though I did. You really were the most beautiful bride and… you deserved better than that. I know it won’t be easy to earn your forgiveness and trust after all we have been through, but I am more than willing to put in the work no matter how long it takes. Because… I love you, Aelwyn. And it would make me really happy if you would be my big sister.”

Aelwyn took a seat on her bed and pat the space next to her, and Adaine crossed the room immediately to take a seat.

“I would love to be your big sister Adaine, even if I am eighteen years late to the task,” Aelwyn said, clasping Adaine’s hand in her own. “But… I do have some questions I need to ask you, if that is alright?”

Adaine nodded. “Of course, anything.”

Aelwyn hesitated. Their relationship was still a fragile thing, and the two of them were both worried about shattering it. “Was there always something between you and the duke?”

Adaine looked down. This was exactly the conversation that she had been expecting to have, and yet it still hurt so much to talk about. “We really were just friends, at first.” She confessed, “And then it just… I don’t know what happened. I think it spiralled so out of control because I was lying to myself more than anyone else. We never kissed, I swear it, but there were… situations that were not particularly appropriate. And I told myself that it didn’t matter because my feelings didn’t matter, and I know for a fact that what he felt towards me was nothing more than lust. I just – I just wanted you to be happy Aelwyn. My feelings for the duke would have been nothing but trouble for all of us, so I thought it best to keep them to myself.”

Aelwyn took a deep breath and nodded as she processed the information. “You know, it’s funny. I think things would have worked out a lot better if you would have told me about your feelings for the duke.”

Adaine looked up at her sister, confused. “What do you mean?”

“I never loved him, Adaine,” Aelwyn sighed, “I loved the idea of being married to him. I loved that I would finally be everything mother and father had raised me to be. And maybe that would have made me happy, for a while, but the truth is I am sick and tired of playing a part. When you were asleep, and I sat by your bed every day, all I could think was that I do not even know you! Nor do you know me. Our parents pitted us against each other for so long that we became these – these twisted versions of what a young lady should be. I was arrogant and pushed to perfection, while they forced you into the role of the self-sacrificing little sister. I want to get to know you as you. I want to know you in all your selfishness, all your hopes, and dreams, and wants. Because I’m sure I don’t like these roles that we’ve been playing out our whole lives.”

“I don’t think I like them either,” Adaine smiled up at her, wrapping her arms tight around Aelwyn with such force that the two of them almost toppled backward onto the mattress. Aelwyn held her back just as tightly, pressing her face into Adaine’s hair as she hugged her with a fierce sisterly love that she had been holding back for all of her life.

“Don’t marry Ragh Barkrock,” She murmured into Adaine’s hair.

“What?” Adaine pulled back from the hug, unsure if she had heard correctly.

“Don’t marry him.” She repeated, taking hold of Adaine’s hands and holding them tightly. “You deserve true love, Adaine. Ragh does too, and I really do believe the two of you will find it.”

“But I – its already been agreed –“

“Talk to him at the ball tonight. He will understand, and no one knows you’re engaged but the people in this house so there will be no scandal.”

“Aelwyn, I -  I don’t understand,” Adaine stammered, “You nearly married him, is it so terrible if I do?”

“I am in love,” Aelwyn blurted out.

Adaine’s jaw dropped. “I’m sorry, what?” She exclaimed.

“I am in love – and I would not have found that love if I had married Ragh Barkrock.” Aelwyn rambled as if she was trying to get the words out as fast as possible. “So – so you can’t marry him, for both of your sakes.”

“Aelwyn! Who are you in love with? You must tell me!” Adaine insisted, feeling almost a little giddy at the mundane experience of sharing gossip with her sister.

Aelywn flushed red and glanced anxiously at the floor. “…Miss Sam Nightingale. We’ve been exchanging letters for a while. She’s been visiting me while you’ve been recovering and… has been a very dear friend while things have been so difficult.”

Oh… oh.

“Does… does she love you too?” Adaine feared to ask.

“Very much so,” Aelwyn replied, tears beginning to brim in her eyes.

“Oh, Aelwyn. Thank you for telling me,” Adaine said, pulling her sister close in a much gentler manner than before. “I am so proud of you. And I am happy that she makes you happy.”

Aelwyn brushed her tears away and kissed Adaine’s forehead. “We are going to the princess’ ball tonight as our new, true selves, yes?”

“Yes,” Adaine nodded, “And… and I will talk to Ragh. I promise.”

Aelwyn smiled warmly, “Thank you.”


Evening was beginning to descend when Fig arrived at Seacaster Manor. Gilear greeted her at the door, swooping her up into his arms and holding her close. It had been a tough few years for them, and Fig felt a little guilty that she had barely seen her father all season even after they had started to patch up their relationship.

“Figureoth, my daughter, you look wonderful,” Gilear smiled down at her, “I’m afraid my wife is still getting ready, but I’m certain she won’t be much longer.”

“Oh, it’s fine, don’t worry about it,” Fig insisted, waving her hand flippantly. She’d never really had much of an opinion about Hallariel Seacaster – or Faeth as she was going by now. But now, looking at how much happier her father was, Fig couldn’t help but feel a fondness for the woman. Whatever she was doing to make Gilear happy, Fig was thankful for.

“Where’s Fabian? Is he not coming?” Fig asked, suddenly clocking the absence of the Duke of Seacaster.

“I believe the last time I saw his grace he was in the gardens,” Gilear told her, “He told me he had no intention of attending the ball tonight; he has barely left his room since the incident with the poor Lady Adaine.”

Fig wasn’t close enough with Adaine to ask her about her relationship with Fabian, but she had seen first-hand the toll it had taken on both of them. Fabian was her friend – and her step brother too – she wanted to do something to help him.

“Wait here, I’m going to talk to him,” Fig told her father determinedly, picking up her skirts and scampering towards the gardens.

She found Fabian sitting on an old rope swing; Bill Seacaster himself had built a pair of them on a giant oak tree for young Fabian and his friends to play on. The current Fabian scuffed the tip of his shoe against the floor as he pushed himself backward and forwards disinterestedly, gaze fixated on the dewy, evening grass. He didn’t notice Fig as she approached and sat on the swing next to his; and if he did, he didn’t acknowledge her.

“Gilear tells me you aren’t coming tonight.” She spoke eventually.

There was a long bout of silence, and Fig thought for a moment that he might not respond.

“Why should I? It’s not like anyone wants me there.” He muttered.

“Okay, well I want you there; your mother wants you there; and I’m pretty sure Gilear does as well,” Fig said pointedly. She wasn’t good at coddling, especially not with Fabian. It was better to tell it straight, in her experience, that was how she got people out of funks. “Kristen is going tonight. And the Abernant sisters. They’re not going to wallow in self-pity because of their scandals, and I don’t think you should either.”

“It’s not just about the scandal,” Fabian sighed, running a hand over his face, “I… I proposed to Adaine. And she rejected me.”

Fig hadn’t known that. She wasn’t sure anyone knew that, not even Aelwyn – and the two sisters were closer than ever now. “Oh.”

“My presence will only cause her harm. I have done nothing but hurt her and her sister all season, the least I can do is give them one night where they don’t have to worry about me.”

“Yeah… I mean, you were kind of stupid,” Fig couldn’t help but tease, Fabian looking highly unamused at her mischievous grin. “Fabian, ever since you became Duke you pushed everyone away. The only person you let into your life is Riz, and even then, you’re so distant with him. Did it ever once occur to you that being selfish would have actually made everyone’s lives so much easier?”

“I was doing what I thought was right. What my father told me was right.” Fabian sighed dejectedly, leaning his head against the rope of the swing. “I’ve managed to mess up every relationship in my life because I was chasing this – this ideal of what it means to be a man. To be a duke. And really all anyone wanted from me was… myself. I guess I figured that out too late, huh?”

“You haven’t messed up every relationship,” Fig said pointedly, shifting her foot over to kick Fabian playfully, “I’m still here, aren’t I? And your mother, and Gilear. And I can tell you for a fact that everyone at the O’Shaughnessy Manor still loves you, as well as Riz and Gorgug. And while the Abernant sisters might not have forgiven you for what you put them through, they certainly don’t hate you. You have a lot of people who love you and are here for you Fabian. Don’t push us away because you don’t think you deserve it.”

Fabian looked up at her with a timid smile. “You are a really good friend, Fig. I’m sorry I haven’t been there for you guys this season.”

“Hey, I’m more than a really good friend, I’m a really good sister,” Fig pointed out with a grin. “We all know you’ve been going through a lot since your father died, and no one holds it against you, I promise... Look, just come to the ball with us tonight, alright? Talk to Adaine or don’t, but I think it would be really good for you to spend some time with your friends and family tonight.”

Fabian hesitated. The easy thing to do would be to lock himself up in his room all night and wallow in self-pity. But the easy thing wasn’t always the right thing.

“Alright. I’ll come.”

Fig smiled brightly, hopping up from the swing and offering her arm out to Fabian. “I’ve got your back Fabian, no matter what. Please don’t forget that again.”


“Adaine?”

Adaine startled at the voice of Jawbone O’Shaughnessy entering her room.

“I did knock,” He offered apologetically, “I was worried something might have been wrong when you didn’t respond – I don’t normally come in without permission,”

“It’s fine, really,” Adaine insisted, offering the Earl a weak smile. She hadn’t heard the knock as she had been staring the vase of tulips in her room. They had caught her eye while she was dressing for the ball and she found herself unable to look away, consumed by thoughts of…

“Did you need something?” She asked Jawbone, fiddling with the bracelets on her wrists.

“I just wanted to come and check on you,” He reassured her, “I see you’re all dressed for the ball. Are you sure you feel well enough to come? Not that I don’t want you there – I just don’t want you to push yourself if you don’t feel up to it,”

Adaine couldn’t help but feel her heart warm fondly at the earl’s concern. He always went out of his way to make her comfortable, to make everyone in the house comfortable. “I’m up to it, I’m sure. It’ll be nice to enjoy at least one ball with my sister before the season ends.”

Jawbone smiled warmly and touched his hand affectionately to her shoulder. “May I?” He asked, nodding towards the edge of the bed.

“Of course,” Adaine said, tentatively taking a seat next to him.

“Adaine, there was one thing I wanted to mention before the season ends tonight.” He began, clasping his hands in his lap, “With your parents back in Fallinel, Aelwyn has made the decision that she wants to live here with us indefinitely. And – I just wanted to make it explicitly clear that option is also open to you. Although I won’t stop you if you want to go back to Fallinel with your parents, I – I wouldn’t feel right about it. Just know that there’s no pressure to choose what you want to do; if you want to move back to Fallinel, or somewhere else here in Spyre, then we’ll support you no matter what. But you can stay here. Not just until the next season, but… forever, if you wanted.”

Adaine grew confused. “Why?” She asked quietly. She could understand them asking Aelwyn to stay, but her… “You’ve already done so much for me – too much, in fact. I couldn’t possibly impose on you any longer.”

Jawbone’s brow furrowed. “Adaine you are not an imposition. I care about you, deeply. Everyone here does. You are kind, and considerate, and nothing but a pure joy to be around; it would be my honour to have you live here with us at the manor.”

“But… everything that happened with my sister and the Seacasters was my fault, you do know that, right? All I ever wanted to do was help but I – I was selfish, and I ruined everything. All I do is ruin things – I am worthless,”

“Adaine Abernant do not speak about yourself that way,” Jawbone told her sternly. “Your parents… they raised you to believe that love was conditional; something that could be given or taken away depending on how you best served them. You don’t have to earn your place here Adaine, and you never should have had to with your parents. It – it grieves me to know that you do not believe that you deserve all the love in the world because you do. You are so easy to love Adaine. And if your parents couldn’t figure that out… well then they’re real idiots.”

Adaine felt the tears begin to form in her eyes, her throat tightening as Jawbone spoke. She had always thought she was a chore to love, that her parents didn’t love her because she hadn’t earned it. But what if love didn’t have to be earned at all? She had done nothing to earn Jawbone’s love, and yet he loved her all the same; accepted her as a daughter in a matter of weeks.

“He was going to ask me to marry him,” She confessed between her sniffles, “The duke. And I – I couldn’t not let him. I could not let him marry me because of his honour, some misguided attempt at duty after the two of us…” She looked up at Jawbone meekly, his eyes softening with understanding as he wrapped his arms around her. “He does not love me,” She laughed sadly between her sobs, “And oh, I loved him so much… I just – could not allow it to happen. For him to trap himself in a marriage that he didn’t want because of his honour.”

Jawbone held her close, rubbing her back and whispering soothingly in her ear. This was what it was like to have a father, Adaine thought. She let herself cry; let herself be held; let herself be loved.


The palace had been done up resplendently for the last ball of the season; Ayda had spared no expense to end the summer in style. The ball's venue itself was mostly outside; a marble dancefloor having been constructed in the center of the gardens with vast floral canopies decorating the space, the golden glow of candlelight illuminating everything beneath the night sky. Adaine held onto her sister's arm tightly as they wandered out to the open-air ballroom. Ayda herself approached them when they arrived, clearly having been waiting for Adaine to show up.

“Adaine, it is good to see you. You are looking well, considering your recovery.”

“Thank you, Ayda, it is good to see you too,” Adaine smiled warmly.

Garthy O’Brien stood beside the princess; it was rare for them to make an appearance in public, but clearly Ayda had requested their presence for the last ball of the season.

“The Ladies Abernant, it is an honour to make your acquaintances,” Garthy spoke, their voice as smooth as butter. They took Adaine and Aelwyn’s hands in turn and kissed them courteously, the elder of the Abernant sisters flushing a little at the attention from Ayda’s very attractive tutor. “Lady Adaine, I was so sad to hear that you had fallen ill. If there is anything we can do for you here at the palace, you will let us know, won’t you?”

“I will. Thank you for your concern and support, both of you. It means the world to me,” Adaine smiled softly, squeezing her sister’s arm affectionately as she spoke.

“Of course.” Ayda said bluntly, as if there were anything else in the world she would do other than supporting her friend. “I have a lot of things to attend to at this ball, so I’m afraid I must take my leave for now. Expect me to call upon you at the O’Shaughnessy Manor again soon.” Ayda’s eyes quickly darted around, and in a display of surprising informality for the princess, she pulled Adaine into a firm hug before leaving her friend to attend to her duties at the ball.

As Ayda left, Adaine noticed her sister catching the eye of Sam Nightingale. “You should go and talk to her,” She suggested, giving Aelwyn a playful little nudge.

“What? No, no, I wouldn’t want to leave you alone” Aelwyn brushed the suggestion off, but Adaine recognised that longing look in her sister’s eyes far too well.

“Aelwyn, go. I’ll be fine,” Adaine insisted, “I need to go and find Ragh anyway. Enjoy the last night of the season, you deserve it.”

Aelwyn hesitated, but eventually let go of Adaine’s arm. “Alright. But if you start to feel unwell promise that you’ll come and find me? Or Jawbone and Sandra Lynn?”

“I promise,” Adaine said, and with a quick hug the sisters parted ways.

Ragh Barkrock was not hard to find; Adaine spotted him on the outskirts of the outdoor ballroom, leaning against a pillar and nursing a small glass of sweet Madeira wine. “Adaine!” He smiled warmly when she approached, taking her gloved hand and kissing it. And then, in a lower voice, he greeted her as “My betrothed.”

Adaine flushed nervously at the term, knowing the conversation that they were about to have. “Actually, Ragh, I wanted to talk to you about that,” She admitted, her voice small and nervous. She had come to love Ragh as a friend, and although she was certain of no romantic intentions between them, she still didn’t want to hurt his feelings.

“Yeah? What’s wrong?” He asked, forehead creasing with worry. Adaine could tell, he knew what was about to come.

“Ragh… I can’t marry you,” She forced out, the words difficult for a multitude of reasons. It wasn’t just breaking a promise to a friend; it was admitting to herself that she had been a coward, that she had to face the truth no matter how much it hurt.

“And – and it’s nothing to do with you!” She quickly amended, “I think you are a wonderful person Ragh, and I have come to care so deeply about you – but that is exactly why I cannot marry you. I spoke with my sister today, and she told me that she is in love… a love that she would have denied herself if she married you. She believes that we will both find true love matches one day. The truth is Ragh, that I betrothed myself to you because I was scared. I wanted to marry you to escape my parents, to escape the scrutiny of society, and to escape having to feel anything that was real. Because real is vulnerable, and is it not much safer to protect yourself from that? But… we can’t live our lives like that Ragh; scared of love because one day it may hurt us. We deserve the love that we need, both of us. And so… I cannot marry you. I am sorry.”

Ragh listened to her speak, and then exhaled deeply through his nose. “Do you know what happened the last time I thought I deserved love? I got a black eye and lost my closest friend.” He told her bluntly. “Adaine, I care for you too, and I hold no ill will against you for breaking off our engagement. I will still be here for you as a friend and if you ever need anything from me, I will do everything in my power to aid you. But I don’t think a true love match is on the cards for me, I’m afraid.”

In a moment that went by so quickly Adaine wasn’t sure if she had imagined it, she could swear that Ragh’s eyes darted over to Gorgug Thistlespring.

“Gorgug?” She couldn’t help but blurt out, still unsure of whether she had seen right or not. “I know him quite well; I could introduce you.”

Ragh looked at her incredulously. “Adaine, are you mad? He is married.”

Adaine felt the tips of her ears burn red. She and Aelwyn had been particularly sheltered growing up, and so Jawbone had been having discussions with them about relationships now that they were grown women in society. Adaine had taken to some of the ideas quite excitedly, forgetting that the rest of society wasn’t as open-minded as Jawbone O’Shaughnessy.

“I only meant… Jawbone told me that there are some people who have room in their heart to love more than one person. Perhaps Gorgug Thistlespring could be one of those people? You will never know unless you try. Just – please do not give up on finding love for yourself Ragh. You deserve it more than most.”

Ragh smiled weakly and took hold of Adaine’s hands. “You do too, Adaine. It has been a pleasure to court you, but I hope that you can find someone who truly completes you.”

Adaine squeezed Ragh’s larger hands fondly, and for the last time bid him adieu with “My betrothed.”

She found Aelwyn again by the dance floor, laughing with one Sam Nightingale. When Miss Nightingale saw Adaine approach, she gave her a smile and stepped away from Aelwyn. “Lady Adaine, I am glad to see you are well,” She greeted with a polite curtsey, “I shall leave you to have some time with your sister.” And then to Aelwyn, she spoke in a voice that was much softer and intimate; “I shall find you later, yes?”

“Yes,” Aelwyn breathed back, Sam’s fingers brushing Aelwyn’s forearm longingly before she glided away.

“I trust that things are going well then?” Adaine could not help but grin.

Aelwyn brushed a strand of hair away, embarrassed. “Yes, very much so.” Composing herself, she straightened her spine and took hold of Adaine’s arm again. “I am very glad that you are here, sister. I was thinking, in light of our promise to bring our new, authentic selves to this ball tonight, that we might take to the dance floor?”

Adaine looked around, the sisters lacking a pair of male partners. “With whom?”

“With ourselves,” Aelwyn smirked, “They cannot say anything about us that we have not already heard. And perhaps instead of gawking the members of the ton might actually take pity on us. Your accident was excellent social capital, after all,”

Adaine could not help but laugh at her sister’s scheming nature, for once being used for her sake rather than against it. Without any resistance, she let Aelwyn lead her to the dance floor amongst the traditional male/female partners. The music struck up, and gripping onto each other’s hands, the sisters began to dance. It was easy, Adaine found, to tune out the stares and the whispered comments once they began. Looking at Aelwyn’s beaming face and feeling her grip on her hands, Adaine felt something broken between them begin to mend, and nothing else in that moment mattered. She felt herself begin to giggle delightedly as they spun around, the couple next to them gawking incredulously at their brazen display. Adaine pitied them; if they conformed to society’s stupid rules their whole life then they would never feel as happy as she did right now.

It was when Aelwyn lifted her arm to spin Adaine around her that she saw it; Fabian Seacaster watching fondly from a distance as the sisters danced together. Aelwyn clocked it too, following Adaine’s distracted gaze.

The music wound down and the sisters curtsied to each other at the end of the dance, giggling at how ridiculously informal it felt.

“Adaine,” Aelwyn smiled at her, eyes full of nothing but love for her sister, “Go to him.”

Adaine laughed at the suggestion. “Aelwyn – I can’t.”

“Why not? Because of some stupid scandal? I have already forgotten all about my betrothal to the duke, and the ton should too,” Aelwyn huffed haughtily, “Adaine, did we not promise that we would be true to ourselves at tonight’s ball? You have spent far too long holding yourself back, I want to see the woman that I know you are; beautiful and smart, confident and unafraid to go after what she wants. Let yourself shine, Adaine, you could be the brightest star here if only you would let yourself.”

Adaine looked between her sister and the duke. Aelwyn was right, she needed to do this. She deserved to do this. With a determined nod, she left her sister’s side and strode over to Fabian Seacaster.

“Adaine,” He whipped around, surprised at her approach. They had not seen each other since Fabian’s attempted proposal. “I – I am glad to see that you are recovering,” He stammered, looking around anxiously. They were already getting stares just for talking to each other. “Perhaps we should not be seen so close together, considering…”

“Perhaps we should,” Adaine responded, taking a step closer to Fabian, “The ton may take pity on me; I was on the dance floor just days after a terrible head injury, after all. Perhaps I needed someone to steady me, make sure I was alright. Perhaps you were the first person I found.”

Fabian could not help but smile, as charmed by her now as he had been when he had caught her during her trip at the debut. Playing along with her, he held up three fingers. “How many?” He asked.

“Three,” She responded, letting out a little giggle as he quickly flipped his hand around and lifted a fourth. “Fabian… are you going to ask me to dance?”

He answered her question with another. “Are you going to say yes?”

She responded by offering her hand out to him. It was gladly received.

The couple stepped up to the dance floor, Adaine’s heart thumping in her chest as they took up position amongst the other couples. Somehow dancing with the duke was far more frightening than dancing with Aelwyn had been. The music began, a slow, string-filled melody, as Fabian and Adaine took each other’s arms and began to dance. Their steps were accurate and elegant, the two of them looking the absolute picture of perfection as they glided across the dance floor together. And still, one by one the other couples started to peel off the dance floor, shooting each other uncomfortable looks as they did not want to be seen dancing with two of the most disgraced people in the ton right now. Until finally, the only couple left on the dance floor were Adaine and Fabian.

“Should we stop?” Adaine whispered, her face panicked but her steps still perfect.

“No,” Fabian insisted, holding her a little tighter. “Just keep looking at me. No one else matters.”

She did just that, her eyes glued to Fabian’s face as they swept across the dance floor, Adaine’s dress twirling elegantly at her feet as they moved in perfect harmony.

“What a scandal!” Penelope Everpetal giggled from the sidelines, delighting in the disgrace unfolding before her.

“So that’s why the sister’s wedding was cancelled,” Her fiancé, Dayne Bladye sneered from beside her.

They had the unfortunate displeasure of being stood right next to Princess Ayda Aguefort as they made their comments.

“You find yourself mistaken, Lady Everpetal.” Ayda looked down at her coldly, “That wedding did not go ahead because I deemed it to be so, something that has not been reported in the slandering of the Abernant and Seacaster families.”

“I think they look beautiful together,” Fig Faeth spoke up from where she stood on the princess’ other side.

“Beautiful indeed,” Ayda agreed, a fond smile on her face as she watched Adaine and Fabian dance, “Do they not?” She asked, and when her question was assumed to be rhetorical, she repeated herself much more firmly. “Do they not?”

There was a muttering of frantic approval from everyone in the vicinity, including Penelope and Dayne. Princess Ayda was not done yet, though. “I do not know why you waste your time with gossip and speculation,” She addressed her guests, “If you had bothered with the truth, then you may have noticed that I myself have decided to marry.”

A gasp went up amongst the crowd, the murmuring turning to shouting as everyone began to speculate on who the Princess Ayda had betrothed herself to. “Your majesty, who?” An anonymous voice cut through the crowd.

Ayda inhaled deeply through her nose. Garthy and Fig had been there every step of the way to support her in the days leading up to this announcement, and yet she still found herself shaking. At her side, Fig smiled reassuringly and reached down to grab her hand for support. “Who better for a princess than a diamond?” Ayda spoke, keeping her cool, regal demeanour. Fig was the only person she allowed to know her fear, squeezing her betrothed’s hand tightly. “I will be marrying Figueroth Faeth. I intend to bring a new era of love and tolerance to this country; I have had enough talk of gossip and ruin from you all, and if any of you have a problem with this, you may speak it now.”

No one dared speak against her. Relationships between two women weren’t uncommon, but marriage between them was unheard of. The princess would change that for everyone, and no one could do anything to stop her.

“Good.” Ayda could not help but smile to herself, but it was so minuscule that only the people who knew her very well would be able to notice it. “Do not let me hear any more gossip about Miss Kristen Applebees then; it is my understanding that she is betrothed and in a perfectly legitimate relationship.”

“Yes,” Tracker said, taking hold of Kristen’s hand for all to see, “Yes, we are betrothed.”

“So many betrothal announcements, truly the best way to end a season,” Fig smiled, “Perhaps my betrothed has one more trick up her sleeve?”

Ayda simply gave a nod to Garthy, and in the next moment, the sky began to explode with colour and light. A firework show; a celebration of love and life as Ayda Aguefort ushered in a new era for all in Spyre.

On the dance floor, Adaine and Fabian stood in each other’s arms, not having let go of each other even after the music had ended.

“Are you still going to marry Ragh Barkrock?” Fabian murmured, the rest of the ton paying no attention to them as they became enthralled with the fireworks display.

Adaine shook her head. “No… no I have encouraged him to seek out a match that he really wants, a match that would make him happy.” She whispered.

Aware of how close they were, Fabian dropped his arms from where they had been holding onto Adaine’s. “I was so scared of losing you,” He admitted after a beat, “It is why I could not visit you after your accident. Seeing you like that, it just…”

“It’s okay,” Adaine reassured him, “You do not need to apologise.”

Fabian looked at her, an unreadable but deeply intense expression in his eyes.

“I love you.”

His voice was quiet and earnest, backed up with the power of months of longing, and burning, and love.

“I have loved you ever since I caught you falling at your debut. I have loved you during every dance, every walk, every conversation we have had. I have loved you when we were together and when we were apart because there was nothing I could do to stop myself from loving you. You do not have to accept it, you do not have to embrace it, you do not even have to allow it – and after all I have done to you and your family you are well within your right to do so, but you must know it. I need you to know, deep in your heart, that I love you, Adaine Abernant. I love you.”

She stared at him, stunned. “I… I do not know what to say,” She whispered, feeling uneasy on her feet as she took in Fabian’s confession.

“You do not have to say anything, I just –“

“I do not know what to say other than… I love you too,” She felt her eyes well up with tears as she finally allowed herself to feel those feelings. It was okay to put herself first, it was okay to love Fabian Seacaster. She deserved the love that she needed.

Fabian grabbed her hands, lifting them up to his lips and kissing her knuckles as a single tear rolled down his cheek. “I know I am imperfect. I know that I have made mistakes and that I will continue to make mistakes for the rest of my life. But I will humble myself before you and I will do whatever it takes to become a man that is worthy of your love. You shine like the brightest star in the sky Adaine, and I cannot imagine my life without you – and that is why I want to marry you. Not for status, or honour, but because you are everything to me. You are my best friend, my light, my air, my love.”

Adaine smiled, her own tears flowing freely - but for the first time in her life, they were tears of joy. “Is that your way of asking me to marry you, your grace?” She teased, pulling her hands from his grip and cupping his face tenderly.

“That depends on your answer,” Fabian laughed softly, leaning down to press their foreheads together.

There was only one word that Adaine could say. “Yes.”

She closed the distance between them and pressed their lips together. The fireworks glowed down upon them as they kissed right there in front of everyone. Let them look, Adaine thought. She was in love, she was betrothed, and she wasn’t going to let anyone take her happiness away from her ever again.

 

 

Epilogue

 

“Fabian enough,” Adaine chastised, but as usual there was no malice in her tone. In fact, the grin on her face managed to betray her intentions completely.

“Oh, but duchess,” Fabian pouted from where he had been layering his kisses thick onto her neck, “How can I resist when you are just so enticing.” He ran a hand down her bare thigh, her pale skin contrasting against his dark complexion.

A whole year of marriage and yet it still took them hours to get out of bed in the morning. Summer was coming to a close once again, and they had invited their friends to the manor for a game of pall mall. That was, if they could manage to get themselves downstairs to actually begin the game.

“Aelwyn and your mother will be throwing a fit at our lateness,” Adaine pointed out, cupping Fabian’s cheek and bringing him up so that she could kiss him softly. “Think about how cold the tea they prepared will be getting.”

“They should have factored our lateness into their schedule,” Fabian muttered against her lips with a smirk, kissing her again with a little more force.

Adaine giggled into his mouth and wrapped a leg around his waist, her free hands reaching around to rub her husband’s back lovingly.

“So, am I hearing that you can be convinced to go for another round?” Fabian asked, raising an eyebrow hopefully.

“No!” Adaine laughed, throwing a pillow at him. “Damn you and your persuasive ways. I hate you.”

“Yes, I am just terrible,” Fabian humoured her.

She attempted to get up off the bed, but he wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her back, burying his face back into her neck and kissing her porcelain skin.

It was another hour before they made it out of the bedroom.

“Ah, finally!” Riz rolled his eyes as the pair descended the stairs into the garden, hand in hand. “Six hours to get out of bed, I mean really.”

“Six hours is nothing when you’re a newlywed,” Ayda stated matter of factly, and Fig snorted from beside her. Sandra Lynn and Gilear pretended not to hear.

Their little group had gotten considerably bigger since the last time they had played. Fig had brought Ayda, Aelwyn had brought Miss Nightingale, and Gorgug had come with both Zelda and Ragh Barkrock in tow.

“We’ve all picked our mallets,” Tracker said, “But we’ve left the mallet of death in there for one of you –“

“Mine!” Fabian and Adaine called at the same time, ripping away from each other to make a dash toward the infamous mallet. It was Adaine who snatched it up, victorious.

“I think pink suits you better, Fabian,” Kristen teased, “It’ll suit the embarrassment on your face when you lose,”

At that moment, Hallariel Faeth let out a shriek as Bogariel Frogariel found himself perched on her shoulder. Adaine’s pet had taken a particular liking to her new mother, much to Hallariel’s dismay. As she screamed, Hallariel kicked her leg out in an attempt to shake Boggy off, sending one of the balls sailing across the garden.

“Well, I guess that begins the game,” Gorgug grinned, running off to chase it.

“Really Fabian, you need to get that frog under control,” Adaine teased.

Fabian gasped with mock offense. “He is your pet!”

“And yours through marriage,” Adaine pointed out, sliding a hand up Fabian’s arm with a grin and pressing her lips to his.

“Ugh, does this mean you two are bowing out?” Aelwyn rolled her eyes fondly at their display. She faked annoyance, but they both knew that she was far worse with Sam.

“No!” They both shouted at the same time, narrowing their eyes accusatorily at Aelwyn. Until Fabian’s expression softened, and he curled an arm around Adaine’s waist. “Unless you want to take this as an opportunity to go back upstairs?” He whispered in her ear.

“And admit defeat?” Adaine grinned, “Never.”

She reached up and pulled him down into a kiss, his arms wrapping tighter around her waist as he pulled her as close as possible. Adaine smiled against his mouth, still unable to believe that she was lucky enough to have a husband like Fabian. They kissed and kissed until their friends tired of their antics and began to play the game. She was going to beat her husband at this game of pall mall, but she was going to love him first. And she would love him every day for the rest of their long lives.

Notes:

So there we go, this fic is finally over! :( I'm really sad to be letting this one go, but this won't be the last we see of these characters as I absolutely have some one shots/short fics planned in this universe. Alongside my TUS fic I've also started working on an ACOFAF reality TV AU (based off the great British bake off because WHY NOT) so do let me know if that would be something any of you would be interested in?

For the last time, I wanted to say thank you all for your support on this fic. I really didn't think anyone would be that interested since this is my first ever multichapter fic for a kind of niche ship, but the love and support you guys have given me has been so overwhelming and has encouraged me to write more when I haven't really been super confident before! I'm most active on tumblr @kuraagins if any of you want to hang out on there, but of course no pressure. I love you all, and thank you for reading my silly little dnd regency fanfiction <3