Actions

Work Header

Snow in the Spring

Summary:

Zuko hasn't been back to the South Pole since Aang first appeared from the iceberg, even though he and Sokka have been dating since the end of the war. But when Sokka asks him to travel there together for the Spring Equinox, Zuko decides he's finally ready to meet the rest of the Southern Water Tribe (for real this time.)

This was going to be the epilogue for a longer fic that I'm currently writing, but I've decided it doesn't quite fit how I want it to go, so I'm posting it as a one shot instead. (:

Work Text:

Before Sokka brought him to the Southern Water Tribe, Zuko hated the snow. He'd only seen it twice: when he had first laid eyes on Sokka, and when Zhao nearly ended the world. The snow he remembered was vindictive, bitter and blinding, smothering anything it touched. He had slipped and fallen in the snow countless times, and at the North Pole it had nearly frozen him to death.

But Sokka assured him he'd be fine. Their trip would be during the Spring Equinox, when the South Pole was bathed in equal hours of dark and light.

"I know you firebenders have your thing with the sun, and I wouldn't want my firebender getting all cranky on me," he said.

"It's called an Inner Flame, Sokka," Zuko grumbled back, smiling despite himself.

"See! You're cranky just thinking about it."

Zuko huffed. He wasn't sure how he got so lucky as to have Sokka. He expressed to him as much.

"That's destiny, baby!" Replied Sokka, famous nonbeliever in destiny.

It helped that Sokka had apparently been working with a tailor from the Southern Water Tribe for months before he even asked Zuko to come. From what he heard afterwards, it was a painstaking process of sending measurements, sketches, and corrections back and forth until it was exactly the way Sokka wanted it, after which it was another two months until everything had been sent. The package consisted of parka, a pair of gloves, snow boots, weatherproof trousers, and several pairs of warm underclothes. Sokka presented them to him one night after dinner, with the clothes all laid out on their shared bed, before asking Zuko to travel South with him for the Equinox Festival.

Zuko remembered his expression vividly. His eyes were wide and his mouth pinched in just slightly. He was holding his breath, as if he were worried Zuko would say no.

And he hadn't. Of course he hadn't. He could have, and Sokka would have understood. He was used to going back to his village alone in years past. Zuko hadn't been quite ready to face it again, to see the faces of the people Sokka clearly loved, and whom he had hurt so long ago. And furthermore, he was *terrified* of the snow. Everything about it unsettled him, and if he never had to see it again, it would be all the better.

But seeing that look on Sokka's face, all the thought and care he'd put into making Zuko feel comfortable on this trip? There was no way his answer could be anything but yes. It had been two years since the end of the war, and Zuko knew one day he would have to face the Water Tribe, and the snow, once more. Knowing he'd have Sokka by his side, and that he'd be wearing the clothes Sokka had commissioned specifically for him, was a greater comfort than anything else.

And so with that, the two of them boarded a Fire Nation ship bound for the South Pole. The morning of their arrival, Sokka and Zuko sat in their quarters, getting dressed for the harsh weather.

"I know you're nervous, Zu," Sokka said as he helped Zuko put on his thick, two-fingered mittens. "But don't worry. Your snow gear will keep you safe, and I'll be right there by your side the whole time." Sokka sat on his right side, his unscarred side. Sokka always sat on his unscarred side. Again, Zuko wondered how he got so lucky.

"But what if..." Even he wasn't sure what he was scared of. What if Sokka's tribe hated him? What if they cast both Zuko and Sokka out?

"If you're worried about what my tribe thinks," Sokka continued, because he was apparently a mind reader, "Don't be. They ask about you every time I come to visit. I think they've been waiting to meet you since I told them we were dating." Zuko leaned into him, a grin on his face. Everything would be alright. He trusted Sokka.

Going down the gangplank was all a blur. Everywhere he looked, there were people dressed in blue parkas and gloves and shawls. They waved when they caught him looking, all smiles. He found himself smiling back. When he turned, Sokka was no longer at his side, instead running down to hug his father. Then, when Zuko turned back, he suddenly was met with Aang and Katara running up to hug him.

Dinner was a similarly social affair. After the war ended, Sokka told him, he, Aang, and Katara met up with a team of visiting Northern benders to help rebuild the Southern tribe. The effort started with the building they were currently seated in, a large meeting hall with high, domed ceilings, and ice windows to let the rare sunlight in. It was all distinctly Southern, apparently, with the village elders always consulted before designing buildings to ensure that their culture was preserved.

Everyone in the village was there, partaking in a communal meal held in Zuko's honor. Rather than one person prepare food for everyone, however, each family brought their own dish cooked at home. It was strange, with so many people and dishes Zuko had never seen before, but it felt familiar all the same. He had Sokka to his right and Aang to his left, and his heart had scarcely ever felt so full. In that moment, he knew it was the right time. He reached into his parka pocket, fumbling with the engagement necklace that he'd been consulting Hakoda and Katara on via letters.

The necklace was round, like Katara's, but it was a dark, metallic grey rather than blue. He'd traveled to visit Piandao in secret to forge the pendant from the same shattered meteorite that Sokka had once made a sword from. It shone under the light, clearly showing off the design in the middle. It was the Water Tribe symbol, but around the edge were two swords, curved almost like fishhooks and crossing at the hilt. He'd gotten the idea a long time ago, even before the trip, but he knew that it would be a perfect time to ask Sokka to marry him.

He looked around, trying to catch Hakoda's eye. Katara saw him first, though, and she nudged her father's shoulder. Sokka, who was engrossed in one of the elder's long stories, didn't notice the exchange. But he knew others at the table did. The people in Sokka's village clearly all knew each other well, and one whispered something in the elder's ear.

"...And well, you all know the rest, of course," she finished, eyes twinkling.

"I always love hearing your stories, Nakama," he said, looking confused. "Usually there's more to that one?"

"Well," Hakoda spoke up. "I think that Zuko has something to say."

Suddenly, all eyes in the room were on him. He took a deep, steadying breath before he stood, motioning for Sokka to stand too.

"I- uh- want to thank all of you for coming to this gathering, and for welcoming me into your tribe the way Sokka welcomed me into his life," he began. Sokka was smiling at him, still looking confused, but reaching out to take his hand. "And I want to thank Sokka, for bringing me here. As he could tell you, I was very nervous-" there were some laughter around the room, kind and loving rather than mocking- "but I've had a wonderful time so far." His hands were shaking. Aang was giving him an encouraging, yet very obvious thumbs-up.

"I'm not just talking about this trip," he continued. "The years since I met Sokka have been the happiest of my entire life. Being with Sokka has allowed me to become a better person than I ever could have been on my own. He forgave my past mistakes, and he allowed me to forgive myself too. Because of him, I've been able to start healing the hurt that I caused. I will never be able to express how grateful I am for him, or how much I love him."

Sokka's eyes were shining in the candlelight, and he swayed slightly on his feet as if in a trance.

"So Sokka," Zuko said, turning to face him fully. "I hope that in asking you this I can show you even just a sliver of the love I have for you, and that I may keep loving you for the rest of our days together." In the Fire Nation, it was customary to bow to your intended fiance. He did so now, holding out the betrothal necklace in his trembling hands. He heard several people in the room gasp, including Sokka. "Will you marry me?"

When he looked up, Sokka was crying. Zuko's blood ran cold as ice. Had he done something wrong? Was this the wrong time? Was Sokka going to say no? He started to retract his outstretched hands, still holding the betrothal necklace between them.

And then suddenly, Sokka launched himself into Zuko's arms. One hand clenched the necklace protectively in his fist, while the other instinctively curled around Sokka's back. He could feel tears on his face from both of them, and Sokka's shoulders shaking.

"Sokka?" He murmured, only loud enough for the two of them to hear. "Are you alright?"

Sokka pulled back at last, positively glowing even through his tears. "Better than alright, love. So much better. Of course I'll marry you."

As they kissed, the room broke out in applause. Zuko was sure he could hear Katara making a teasing retching noise, but also that he could hear Aang cheering his heart out.

When they broke apart, Hakoda was standing nearby.

"Zuko," he said. "When I first heard about you from Sokka, I wasn't sure what to make of you. That was a long, long time ago. When I heard about you again, it was Katara writing to me to tell me that you were being *oogie* with her big brother." The three of them blushed profusely, with both Sokka and Katara spluttering protests. Regardless, Hakoda continued. "So much changed while I wasn't looking, and it broke my heart to know that I missed all of you growing up. But ever since I've really met you, there's one thing that hasn't changed: there's no one else in this world better suited for Sokka than you. I've seen it time and time again. You are one of the most caring, thoughtful people I know, and you always want to make things right. You care for your loved ones so fiercely it's a little frightening." The small crowd laughed again, though even without looking, Zuko could tell some of them were crying too. "And Sokka needs that sometimes, and he needs someone who he can care about just as strongly." He approached the two of them, gently placing a hand on Zuko's shoulder. "Welcome to the family, son."

That did Zuko in. He broke down in tears, hands shaking as he clasped the silky red ribbon around Sokka's neck. And then Hakoda and Katara and Aang were hugging them both, and if Zuko had thought his heart was full before, by now it was positively bursting. Sokka was grinning at him in a way that Zuko knew he felt the same.

...

Much later, after the festivities had ended and everyone had gone home, Sokka and Zuko were sitting in Sokka's bedroom, inseparable as they had been since they became betrothed. Sokka looked at him with such an utterly blissful expression that Zuko could scarcely believe that the look was because of him. Sokka ran his fingers over the betrothal necklace, as if any moment now it would disappear, and Zuko was sure that his own expression matched Sokka's. He was happy and content and proud, that he could do something so good with his life as to make Sokka smile.

"Hey, Zu?" Sokka said after a long, comfortable silence.

"Yeah?"

"Will you come outside with me? I have something I want to show you."

Going outside would require putting their snow gear back on, but Zuko found that he didn't mind in the slightest. He stood up and stretched, Sokka following suit with a grin.

“Oh,” Sokka said, once he had his parka on. “Let me go find my gloves.” He disappeared into the other room, even though his gloves were sitting on the ground right next to his boots.

Zuko rolled his eyes fondly. “Sokka, your gloves are right here!” He called.

Sokka came back into the room after a moment, arms crossed over his chest. “Oh. So they are.” They both laughed

Both dressed, they crept out the front door, careful not to wake anyone else. Sokka led him to a big, untouched snow bank a short distance away from his home, pure white and shining in the light of the moon. He fell back into it, laughing, and Zuko followed suit. To his surprise, his snow clothes kept him warm even when he was directly touching the snow. Sokka moved closer to him until he was flush against Zuko's side, and he felt the heat radiating off of him. He looked up.

It was snowing, because of course it was. But rather than being harsh and bitter, the snowfall was calm. The flakes fell on their faces gently, slowly, and Zuko realized this is what his mother had meant when she described snow to him as a child. He looked over at Sokka, and in his mind he heard her voice. It can't hurt you. Snow is gentle. Snow had hurt him, a long, long time ago, but without it he never would have met the love of his life. With Sokka, the snow couldn't hurt him anymore.

Speaking of Sokka, he was currently concentrating all his effort on trying to catch a snowflake in his mouth. Zuko laughed, and copied him. The flakes melted on his tongue, pleasantly cold even in a snowstorm. When he looked over again, Sokka was now the one watching him.

"It was brave of you to propose in front of everyone like that," he said. Normally, that sort of statement would have worried him. But Sokka was smiling, and Zuko knew he'd done the right thing.

"Your tribe is important to you. I thought you would like having them there."

"I did, Zuko. Of course I did. But you were nervous to meet them as it was, and you still did it."

"If you had proposed," Zuko asked out of curiosity, "would you have done it any differently?"

And then Sokka was pulling a bouquet of fire lilies out from under his parka, brought with them all the way from the Fire Nation. They were a little worse for wear after such a long journey, but he had obviously put a lot of effort into keeping them alive. "I am now, aren't I?" he said.

Zuko surged forward, tackling him in a kiss. The snow crunched as they moved, trying to get a better angle to meet each other's lips. He held the flowers between them, careful so as not to crush them. When he opened his eyes, he was drowning in two perfect pools of bright, clear blue.

"I know you don't really like the attention," Sokka said. "So I was planning on waiting until we were alone like this."

"Thank you," Zuko whispered, leaning in to kiss Sokka again. "I hope you know how much I love you."

"Of course I do, Zuko. I always have." Sokka kissed him again and again, all over his face, before stopping at his lips. "I love you too."

Zuko smiled at him again, and Sokka's face took on a devilish grin. "And anyway, I can think of a couple other things we can do now that we're alone..." He did a terrible, obvious wink, and put his hands on Zuko's waist. Zuko swatted playfully at his shoulder, and moved the flowers out of the way before slumping against Sokka completely.

"You're terrible," he said. "Why am I marrying you again?" Though the effect was ruined by the line of kisses he placed on the underside of Sokka's jaw.

"C'mere, Zu," Sokka grumbled. "It's freezing out here. I wanna kiss you without worrying that our lips are gonna freeze together."

"So you admit you do feel the cold."

There was a pause. "Never."

Above them, an aurora shone brightly in all the colors of the rainbow, but Sokka and Zuko had other things on their minds as they trudged back home, hand in hand.