Actions

Work Header

Spin

Summary:

Barbatos tries to relax during a group vacation at Lord Diavolo's beach house. However, between Solomon's pestering and a growing fondness for Simeon, his week takes an unexpected turn.

Chapter 1

Notes:

I have had some brainrot that is unrelated to my Studying at the House of Lamentation series, and it demanded to be written. I will get back to Studying at HoL soon. In the meantime, please enjoy my latest brain-child.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Barbatos stood atop an elevated platform in the entrance area of the beach house. A palette of paint was balanced expertly on his wrist as he took care restoring the wall murals. Time and repeated cleaning had stolen the vibrancy of the colours and left the once-bright artworks bereft of life. When he and Diavolo had arrived at the beach house a week earlier, the butler had voiced his desire to bring the intricate and elegant visuals back to their former glory. The prince had not needed convincing, entrusting the task to Barbatos without a second thought.

The demon smiled to himself, recalling what the Young Master's next words had been.

"I'm so pleased that you want to do something outside of your usual duties while we're here. But make sure you still have plenty of time to relax. This is your vacation, too!"

But this was relaxing to Barbatos. Each brush stroke was perfectly measured, unhurried as he hummed quietly. The deep notes of his voice filled the entrance area, even at a low volume, as he allowed himself to be swept into the peaceful motions of the restoration. He had finished restoring the mural in the main sitting room yesterday, and gotten started on the entrance hall immediately. He did not intend to finish the entrance hall quite so quickly; the quiet week of just himself and the prince would give way to a week filled with friendship and fun, with guests due to arrive shortly. He would finish the mural in the entrance hall next time he visited the beach house with Lord Diavolo, but the rhythm of the process urged him not to put down his paintbrush until he must.

A few rooms away, in a small office, Lord Diavolo took comfort in the faint hum that carried down the hallway, assuring him of his butler's steady presence. They'd chosen to come to Devil's Coast during the reprieve of RAD-related paperwork and duties offered by the summer months. While there was still work to be done to keep the Devildom in order, the prince had worked hard to earn his holiday. He had promised Barbatos that he would not fall behind on important matters of the realm during this time off. He was close to completing the work that required his attention today, just in time for the due arrival of Lucifer and his brothers, and the trio from Purgatory Hall.

The double sliding doors that led from the entrance area to the verandah that encompassed the beach house stood open while Barbatos worked with steady hands. The day was forecast to grow warmer, but the ocean breeze was soft as it carried the unmistakable crunch of gravel under tyres to the butler's ears, announcing the arrival of the first carload of guests. A forlorn sigh escaped him as he accepted that the time had come to set down his paintbrush. Without turning from his work, he recognised Solomon's footsteps sounding on the verandah first, with Simeon and Luke's following shortly after.

"The restoration looks fantastic," Solomon declared in greeting.

He came to a standstill in the entrance hall. The demon could feel the sorcerer's eyes on his back, watching with his ever-curious gaze.

"You should see the next room over," Barbatos said.

A smile spread his thin lips as pride bloomed quietly inside him. He finished another stroke before finally resting his brush and palette on the railing that surrounded the elevated platform that allowed him to reach the parts of the mural closer to the ceiling with ease. He turned at last to face the new arrivals, only to catch them assessing his appearance with surprise. Between mural restorations and Diavolo's insistence that he takes advantage of the downtime, Barbatos had opted to wear something less formal than his usual attire. Although he would never shirk his duties, indeed, he did not look like a butler and it had brought the Young Lord pleasure to see the usually so formally presented demon dressed down.

 

Today, Barbatos wore charcoal grey culottes, cut at a three-quarter length, leaving his shins and ankles exposed. The hems swished around his slender legs as he moved. A cropped blouse in a dark green hugged at his ribs, leaving his midriff exposed. He had been self-conscious of displaying so much skin, but who was he to refuse the prince's encouragement that such an outfit suited his elegance so well? The sleeves were loose and flowy all the way down to his wrists, where they bunched together to hold themselves in place around his forearms; it was easy enough to push them back if he needed to wash dishes or prepare food. Today, he had even opted for a small touch of eyeliner and a subtle but defining purple eyeshadow, paired with sheer matte lip gloss to complete the look. It was no secret that he was skilled in makeup artistry, but he often felt it too extravagant to apply to himself. His job as Diavolo's servant was to stand quietly at his master's side until needed, and anticipate his needs; passively drawing attention to himself was unnecessary. Asmodeus would no doubt make a fuss about how he should wear it more often once he saw it.

"I'm sure the other room looks marvellous, but it couldn't be as stunning as you," Solomon replied, offering a hand to help Barbatos step down from the platform.

From atop the platform, Barbatos scowled down at the sorcerer. The way his cheeks reddened did not go unnoticed. Solomon smirked, patiently waiting for the butler to take his hand. Barbatos rolled his eyes and placed his hand in Solomon's palm. The sorcerer stepped closer to the platform, keeping eye contact with his pact-bound demon as he placed a hand on his hip. Barbatos braced a hand against the sorcerer's shoulder and allowed the human to lift him down with more flair than necessary. His feet met the floor with a dainty click thanks to the small heel of his sandals, but Solomon's hand did not retract. His fingers briefly glided against the butler's waist, at which point a sharp look from the demon convinced him to step back. The smirk did not leave his face.

"You have been spending too much time with Asmodeus," Barbatos said flatly.

An impish laugh was Solomon's only response, his hand cupping his chin thoughtfully as he continued to appraise the demon. Dismissing the sorcerer's clear interest, Barbatos turned to the angels. He greeted them with a small bow.

"Simeon, Luke, how are you both?"

"Waaaaaa Barbatos! You look so pretty today!" Luke yelled, his excitement evident in the way his small fists ball up as he held them up in front of his chest.

The innocent compliment caused the butler's shoulders to relax. He inclined his head towards the little angel, quietly adoring the stars in his big blue eyes.

"Thank you, Luke. I suppose you have not seen me dressed so casually before."

"You look really lovely," Simeon said, his cheeks pinching in an effort not to smile too widely.

Barbatos turned his sights on the older angel, eyebrows raised in a small gesture of surprise. The compliment itself was flattering, though not completely unexpected. However, the quiet shyness in Simeon's voice and the gentle darkening of his cheeks caught the butler off-guard. As if realising his own words, Simeon glanced away and cleared his throat, adjusting a bag over his shoulder.

"That shade of green really suits you," he added.

The demon gave a soft, low laugh.

"You are too kind." He stepped back to better address them all at once. "I've prepared separate rooms for everyone. Come this way."

Ignoring Solomon's proximity and the flutter in his own chest that had been spurred by Simeon's words, he led the trio down a hallway in the opposite direction to Diavolo's small office.

With any luck, the Young Master will complete his work before he realises anyone has arrived. 

He indicated to three rooms beside each other.

"Leave your things in here and then come to the casual dining room, just off the entrance area where you came in. I'll make tea and bring out some fruit to graze on. The brothers will be arriving shortly and then we will all have lunch."

Solomon lingered in the hallway as the angels disappeared into their rooms. Barbatos turned to face him, and they regarded each other in a tense silence, which Solomon broke first.

"You always did look good dressed down a little," he said, leaning against the wall. "I don't think I've seen you outside of a RAD uniform or formalwear since . . ."

The sentence hung between them, unfinished. Barbatos trained a frown from his face and drew his shoulders back to stand taller. Even with the small heel of his sandals, he was slightly shorter than the sorcerer, but that had never stopped him from putting the other man in his place.

"I did not dress this way for you to ogle at me," he said, stepping past Solomon. "If you'll excuse me, I have work to do."

"Do you ever think about us?" Solomon blurted, turning to follow Barbatos's retreating form down the corridor. "What if we try again?"

Barbatos paused in his stride, keeping his expression and voice in check despite the dangerous Infernal aura that began to flicker around him. He turned back to Solomon with an icy smile.

"If I may speak frankly, it has been more than three centuries, Solomon. My decision to end our relationship still stands. I was under the impression that you had moved on at this point. Am I mistaken?"

The sorcerer bristled for a moment before forcing the tension away with a deep inhale and exhale. He closed his eyes for a moment, waiting for the crease of his brow to smooth out, then met the butler's eyes again.

"I'm sorry. I became nostalgic, seeing you dressed down like this. I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable with my lingering feelings."

Barbatos bid the dark aura gathered around him to dissipate. He gave the sorcerer a single nod in acceptance of his apology.

"The last three centuries have made it abundantly clear that we work better as friends. I would like to continue as we are now, as we have been since then."

Solomon nodded his own acknowledgement. A smirk returned to his face.

"Of course. I'll see you in the casual dining room soon," he said, turning to disappear into what would be his room for the coming week.

Barbatos waited a few seconds before retracing his steps to the entrance area and making his way to the kitchen.

Notes:

Thank you for reading! I'd love to know what you think, so please feel free to leave comments. I'm going to try and keep these chapters pretty small. Don't forget to subscribe if you'd like to be notified when this story updates. 💚

Follow me on Twitter @SalsaVerde_NSFW (18+ only) and find my other socials in the carrd link in my Twitter bio.

Chapter 2

Summary:

Lucifer and his brothers arrive at the beach house and Simeon helps Barbatos prepare lunch for everyone.

Notes:

I've been on a little writing-spree and already have six chapters written, but I'm going to leave a few days between posting while I keep writing, so that I can go back and change things as my plans develop.

As it stands, please be mindful of the tags, which have been updated now that I have a better idea of where I'm going to take this story. I also want to confirm where this story sits within the game: the setting is between the end of Season 3 and the start of Season 4, and MC will not be making an appearance but might be mentioned. There will be Season 4 spoilers, particularly around Simeon.

Enjoy~

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

"Kyaaaaaaaaaa, Barbatos! You're wearing makeup!!!"

Asmodeus had stars in his eyes the moment the butler stepped out of the kitchen and into the casual dining room. Four couches surrounded a low, wide coffee table in the centre of the room. Solomon was reclined in one couch while he chattered with the angels across from him. Barbatos weaved past the couches to place a tray of fruit and cheese onto the low table between the trio from Purgatory Hall before the Avatar of Lust could tackle him. Lucifer stepped into the room from the entrance area as Asmo flung his arms over Barbatos's shoulder.

"Must you, Asmodeus?" Barbatos chided, as the other demon stepped back from the embrace to take in his appearance.

"You look absolutely stunning!" he proclaimed, clapping his hands in a show of satisfaction. "Not as stunning as me, obviously, but I'm calling it now; today, you're the most beautiful creature in the Devildom after yours truly."

"Hey, I'm right here, you know?" Solomon interjected, though his tone was playful.

"Oh, hush," Asmodeus teased, turning to where the sorcerer was manspreading on a couch. In two dainty steps, the demon straddled one of Solomon's legs and kissed the man on the lips, perfectly manicured fingers carding through light grey hair. "I'll revoke my statement if you help me carry my bags to my room and let me give you a makeover right now."

Solomon laughed, leaning back in his seat. He crossed his arms behind his head and said, "Not a chance, princess."

"Well, someone isn't getting laid tonight," Asmo huffed, standing up again.

Simeon coughed pointedly.

"Ew," Luke sighed, shaking his head. "I didn't need to know that."

Before Asmo could utter another word, Barbatos cut him off to address Lucifer.

"If everyone is here, allow me to show you to your rooms."

"Please, before my brother traumatises Luke any further."

Asmodeus departed with a wink and a kiss blown at Solomon. Barbatos led him back into the entrance area, where the other residents of the House of Lamentation were congregated.

"This way, please." Barbatos beckoned for them to follow and directed them to their rooms, passing Diavolo's small office on the way. "Young Master," he paused in front of the open door. "Our guests have arrived. Have you finished your tasks?"

Diavolo's eyes lit up and it was all he could do not to launch his desk out of the way before he bound out into the hallway like an excited overgrown puppy.

"Lucifer!" he boomed, lifting the Avatar of Pride into a rib-crushing hug, much to the demon's chagrin.

Barbatos hid his snicker behind a hand, but the brothers lining the hallway behind the pair were not so discreet.

"Yes, yes, it's good to see you too, my love," Lucifer sighed, waiting for the prince to set him down. Despite his aversion to such affection in front of others, the Avatar of Pride couldn't help smiling. "But that doesn't mean you can avoid answering Barbatos's question."

The demon prince pouted as he let Lucifer step back.

"I did finish my work! I promised I'd have it all done before you got here!"

"He has indeed worked diligently to stay on top of his work this week," Barbatos nodded. "Now, your rooms are just down here. There is one for everyone. Once you're unpacked, lunch will be ready."

The butler stepped aside to let the others pass. As the brothers each chose a bedroom for their stay, Diavolo pulled Lucifer back towards him.

"Stay in my room this week," he said, dropping his voice low.

Barbatos averted his gaze as the pair leaned their foreheads together.

"Well, if you insist."

Diavolo pecked his lips and tugged him towards his own bedroom. The door closed behind them and Barbatos distinctly heard the lock click into place. Moments later, the sound of a back thumping against the wall was followed up by a muffled groan and a reprimanding "shh!". Shaking his head with amusement, Barbatos moved towards the kitchen again. As he passed through the casual dining room, he smiled at Luke's carefree laughter. The young angel had moved to the other couch to show the sorcerer a DevilTube video. Barbatos passed behind their couch, smiling at Simeon, still sitting across from Solomon, when the angel caught his eye.

"Would you like a hand with the lunch preparations, Barbatos?" Simeon asked.

"There is no need to trouble yourself," he replied, but the angel was already standing and moving towards the kitchen with him.

A familiar sensation of being watched tingled up the butler's spine. A subtle glance over his shoulder confirmed his suspicion that Solomon's attention was on them.

"It's no trouble! I feel like stretching my legs and moving around a little. Please, allow me to help."

The angel's warmth radiated in his smile, in his gentle eyes and the slight tilt of his head. Something about the way Simeon was looking at him made Barbatos forget his words for but a moment. He reached a hand out to pull the kitchen door open and stood aside.

"Very well. After you," he said, with a small bow.

A note of musical laughter flowed past the angel's lips as he stepped past. The sound made Barbatos's heart palpitate in a strange, but not unfamiliar way.

"You don't have to be so formal, Barb," Simeon said. "You're meant to be on a holiday too, don't forget."

"Quite right," he said.

His hands moved to straighten his shirt out of habit, only to land on his bare midriff. Simeon had already disappeared into the kitchen and did not witness the moment of not knowing what to do with his hands before he followed. Barbatos could feel Solomon's eyes on his back until the kitchen door was closed. He let out a small sound of exasperation as he joined the angel at the prep area.

"Is everything alright?" Simeon asked as they both began preparing fresh bread rolls with salad and roast meat.

"Yes, it's quite alright. I am simply not used to dressing so casually, and the attention it has drawn to me was unexpected after being here a week with only the Young Master for company."

Barbatos shrugged as he sliced tomatoes, making a mental note to leave some of the rolls tomato-free for Luke.

Perhaps I shall change into something less revealing before I join the others for lunch.

"He made you uncomfortable earlier, didn't he?" Simeon said, his brow creased with gentle concern.

"Oh, I'm quite used to Asmodeus's behaviour. You needn't worry about that."

"I meant Solomon," he said.

Barbatos paused his cutting and met the angel's eyes. The celestial blue hues were distracting. He forgot his words again.

"He was just being friendly though, wasn't he?" Simeon asked, though his tone suggested he was not so certain. "I mean, he and Asmodeus are together."

A dry bark of laughter was the butler's initial response, but then he cleared his throat and composed his features.

"Simeon, forgive me, but you are not by chance under the impression that the two of them are mutually exclusive, are you?"

That gave the angel pause. Celestial blue blinked as he considered the demon's words. A blush darkened his cheeks.

"Oh! I suppose I hadn't really thought about it, but Asmo is the Avatar of Lust. I guess one could not expect him to practice monogamy."

Barbatos nodded his head in confirmation. "And Solomon has historically been known to take multiple lovers. While I'm not currently aware of him seeing anybody else, I would not assume that he would pass up an opportunity he deemed worthwhile."

"I suppose whether or not they are mutually exclusive is beside the point. He still made you uncomfortable when we arrived."

With a sigh, Barbatos turned his attention back to the chopping board and continued to slice tomatoes.

"You have my thanks for your concern, but rest assured, I have already addressed that with him."

"Haha! Of course you have. I should have known you wouldn't be afraid to say something about it to him."

The momentary relief faded from Simeon's face as he considered saying something more, but then he turned his attention back to the lunch rolls. Barbatos eyed him, anticipating that the angel would voice his thoughts any moment. But something else caught his attention as he watched the angel and he broke the silence himself.

"You're still wearing your Human Realm clothes."

Simeon stiffened at the statement. Barbatos kept his expression neutral as he set down the knife and resumed assembling lunch rolls.

Interesting that he reacts as if he's been caught doing something he shouldn't.

It only took a moment for Simeon to shake off his initial reaction, dismissing it with a laugh that jostled his shoulders. It unsettled Barbatos. It sounded like Simeon's laugh, but something wasn't quite right about it.

"Oh, I had no choice, really! I was . . . drinking coffee while I was packing for the trip this morning, and I knocked the mug over. It spilled into my suitcase! I had to put all the Celestial Realm clothes I'd packed into the wash. It's a good thing Luke and I have been in the Human Realm long enough that I have a few other changes of clothes, otherwise I wouldn't have had anything to wear."

Simeon kept his attention on the lunch rolls as he spoke. Barbatos watched the profile of his face out of the corner of his eye as he constructed another roll and stacked it onto a plate. The self-depreciating smile did not feel so genuine.

"This is why I tell Lord Diavolo not to take food or drink into his bedroom," the demon said carefully.

The angel turned his face towards Barbatos with a grin.

"Perhaps I should heed your advice myself."

His heart was not in it. Barbatos gave a thoughtful hum.

He must be quite embarrassed. Or perhaps he is not being honest. But what purpose would that serve?

Whatever the case, Simeon did not elaborate any further on the matter. The pair continued their work in a silence that struck Barbatos as rather uncomfortable. In the next room, he heard the brothers filing in, bringing with them loud chatter and all their usual banter and antics. Barbatos finished preparing another roll and set it atop the small pile beside him.

"These ones don't have tomato in them," he said, sliding the plate further along the counter. "For Luke."

Simeon beamed at him. That much, at least, felt genuine.

 

Notes:

Thank you for reading! I hope you're enjoying this little fic! I'd love to hear your thoughts so far, so please drop a comment below.

Find me on Twitter @SalsaVerde_nsfw and find my socials and my Patreon in the carrd link in my bio.

Chapter 3

Summary:

Barbatos and Simeon serve up lunch. The butler observes the antics of the other guests and sits with Simeon for the meal.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Lucifer's cheeks were flushed when he entered the casual dining room, but his clothes and hair were perfectly in place. The only other giveaway that Lord Diavolo had gotten frisky with him was the dark hickey peeking out from beneath his collar. As Barbatos brought a tray of lunch rolls out from the kitchen, he smirked knowingly when he caught sight of his master. The prince entered the room a step behind his partner, looking quite pleased with himself. Barbatos paused with the tray of food in his hands and waited for everyone to sit down. The kitchen door opened quietly behind him as Simeon stepped out with another tray and the plate of tomato-free rolls for Luke, pausing a step behind Barbatos as they observed the room.

"About time you joined us," Satan snipped at Lucifer. "Any longer and Beelzebub might have eaten Luke."

"Hey!" Luke protested. "I'm not for eating!"

Beelzebub looked quite chastised and hugged himself, looking at the empty platter that had been laden with fruit and cheese when he arrived.

"I would have eaten the plate before I tried to eat you, Luke . . . I promise."

Belphegor snorted a dry laugh, his head in his twin's lap and his legs dangling over the armrest of the couch. Asmodeus laughed daintily and shot the eldest and his lover a suggestive look, one eyebrow sharply arched.

"Did you both enjoy your appetisers?"

Solomon nudged Asmodeus, who merely turned to innocently bat his eyelashes at the sorcerer.

"Don't worry, Solomon, I covered my ears as soon as Asmo started talking," Luke grumbled on his other side.

Lucifer ignored the fifth-born and took a seat beside Mammon, who ogled at the very obvious mark on the eldest's neck. Diavolo plonked himself on the other side of Lucifer and slung an arm around his shoulders. Lucifer shifted back against the prince as if it were the most natural thing in the world, a proud smirk quirking at his lips. A moment later, Mammon leaned away from Lucifer so that the window looking out towards the beach framed him from behind, and pretended to be taking a selfie at a completely unconvincing angle.

"LOLOLOL Mammon rolls for deception," Levi commentated.

"Quiet down! I bet I could get loads of cash for a picture of Lucifer with a hickey," Mammon whisper-yelled at the otaku.

He pulled a duck-face at his phone screen and held up a peace sign with his free hand.

"He rolls a one, with a negative one modifier."

"Mammmmmmooooonnnnnn!"

"Eeeek! H-hey, my phone switched itself off! D'ah! It feels really hot now!"

Diavolo threw his head back at the brothers' antics, letting out a booming laugh. Despite how thoroughly Lucifer glared through Mammon, the moment he turned his gaze back to the prince, his face softened.

Behind him, Barbatos heard a sad sigh. He turned back towards Simeon, tilting his head. The angel's gaze lingered on Lucifer, who was easing into Diavolo's open affection now that they were away from the prying eyes of strangers at RAD and the Devildom capital. The butler connected the dots with ease and offered Simeon a gentle smile.

"Is everything alright?" he prompted.

That seemed to snap Simeon out of his moment of yearning.

"O-oh! Yes! Of course!" he said, a smile plastered across his face.

"FOOD!" Beelzebub cried out, having turned towards the kitchen at the sound of their voices.

He shot up from his seat, sending Belphegor tumbling onto the floor with a thud.

"Aagh! Beel, don't stand up all of a sudden when I'm napping on you!"

"Sorry, Belphie . . . But there's food! And Simeon and Barbatos made it!" The Avatar of Gluttony could have turned night into day with the way he smiled in that moment.

"Have a seat, Beelzebub. There is plenty more where this came from," Barbatos assured him as he swapped out the empty platter on the low table between the couches for the one laden with lunch rolls.

"Luke, Barbatos made these ones for you without tomato," Simeon said, setting the plate down near the younger angel.

Luke grinned at them both. "Thank you!"

Stepping back from the group, Barbatos noticed Simeon's awkward hovering. There was room for one more beside Lord Diavolo, but the moment of longing Barbatos had caught made the butler think that perhaps Simeon would prefer not to be seated so close to the couple. He touched Simeon's sleeve gently.

"There aren't enough seats right now. Help me move this armchair over."

He indicated to an armchair positioned to look out one of the windows and down to the ocean. It was quite a wide seat, but it would fit in the gap between the couch where Beelzebub and Belphegor were lounging and the couch holding Satan and Levi, if Belphegor stopped dangling his legs over the armrest. Barbatos could have moved it on his own easily, but letting Simeon help would stop him from floundering where he stood.

"Belphegor," Barbatos intoned as he and Simeon dragged the armchair into position.

The Avatar of Sloth scowled at the butler but complied to the unspecified request, sitting himself upright. He reached forward to grab a lunch roll before Beelzebub could inhale them all. Around the small table, the other guests were talking animatedly. The chatter and laughter filled the room.

"Here, Simeon. This seat is for you."

Barbatos straightened up and indicated for Simeon to take the armchair. The angel looked surprised.

"Where will you sit?"

"There's room beside the Young Master."

Simeon glanced at the armchair, considering it for a moment before turning back to the demon with a smile.

"Would you sit with me? The arm chair is wide enough for both of us and I'll be the only one sitting alone if you don't."

Barbatos was taken aback by the suggestion. There was a teasing edge to the angel's voice, but his eyes looked hopeful. Celestial blue. After a moment of blinking silently at the angel, he realised he had not responded.

"Very well," he managed.

Simeon's smile reminded him of relief. A strange reaction, he thought. The angel sat and squished himself against one armrest. He patted the space next to him and looked expectantly at Barbatos. With a small spin, the butler slotted himself between Simeon and the other armrest. Immediately, his cheeks pinkened. The couch certainly was big enough for two, so long as they did not mind the closeness. He was pressed right up against Simeon from hip to heel. The angel leaned forward to collect a roll and a napkin for each of them and handed a set to Barbatos. He glanced away as Barbatos took the offering, their fingers brushing during the exchange. He seemed embarrassed.

"Thank you," Barbatos said, settling his weight against the armrest. "And thank you for your help in the kitchen, too."

"Oh! It's no trouble. I enjoyed spending time with you . . . I-I mean, I enjoy being in the kitchen! I mean, I do like spending time with you, but what I meant to say was, I like you in the kitchen— No, wait! I mean—"

The angel's cheeks darkened considerably as he stumbled over his words and talked himself in circles. Barbatos covered his mouth with one hand to hide his smile as he felt his own blush deepening.

"I understood," he said, cutting off Simeon's word-vomit. "I enjoy working with you in the kitchen, too."

The angel clamped his mouth shut and faced forward. He took a big bite out of his roll and forced himself to chew thoroughly to stop himself talking anymore. Barbatos chuckled as he spied a smear of mayonnaise at the corner of Simeon's mouth. Without thinking, he pressed the edge of his own napkin against the angel's skin to wipe it away. Simeon froze at the contact and Barbatos seemed to remember himself, pulling his hand back quickly. Simeon swallowed.

"My apologies. There was mayonnaise on your face."

Simeon laughed. "I was saving it for later!"

Barbatos quirked an eyebrow, relaxing. "Oh? Is that so?"

The angel nodded pointedly, but he couldn't maintain his composure. His lips trembled until a smile spread across his face and he beamed at Barbatos.

He has a nice smile, he thought, chuckling as Simeon bumped their shoulders together.

"I shall bear that in mind the next time I presume to wipe something off your face," he smirked.

His words caused Simeon's eyes to widen. A moment later, Barbatos wished the couch would swallow him whole.

"Ah, forgive me. I did not mean to imply . . . Well." He cleared his throat and took a bite out of his own lunch roll, letting the flavours of slow-roasted shadow hog and well-seasoned tomato slices distract him from his own embarrassment.

Beside him, Simeon giggled. The sound made his heart feel strange.

Perhaps I am unwell? My chest feels tight . . .

Beelzebub called across to the pair and complimented the food with a huge smile.

"Barbatos did all the work, I just helped him put it together at the end," Simeon said.

"How is the cafe in the Human Realm?" Beel asked.

Barbatos took another bite of his lunch as the angel continued his conversation with the Avatar of Gluttony. His eyes scanned around the room, ensuring everyone was enjoying their meal. The Young Master looked happy with an arm around Lucifer as they ate, finding amusement in his lover berating Mammon.

Lucifer's relationship with his pride is so fickle, he thought. He did not try to hide the mark on his neck, but he will pay no heed to anyone who comments, unlike Asmo, who would actively show it off and brag about it . . . well, if it weren’t for the fact that he was busy bemoaning that it wasn’t good for his skin. I suppose Lucifer wears such a mark with pride while maintaining his pride. Though if we were at RAD, his collar would be buttoned up to his throat to hide it . . .

Asmodeus called out to Mammon, joining in the teasing of the second-born's spectacular failure to secretly photograph the eldest's hickey. Solomon had an arm around Asmodeus's shoulders too. Luke was busy defending his plate of tomato-free lunch rolls from Beelzebub's maw, on Solomon's other side. But the sorcerer himself was watching Barbatos, his expression unreadable. The demon met his eyes and regarded his ex-lover coolly. From across the table, Solomon frowned at him. His eyes darted to Simeon, then back to Barbatos.

Ah, Solomon has also noticed that something is amiss with Simeon today. Perhaps I will ask him after lunch if he knows more about what is troubling the dear angel. 

 

Notes:

This chapter was fun to write. I love writing flustered boys. Thank you to those who are reading! I'd love to hear what you think, so leave a comment. 💚

Say hi to me on Twitter @SalsaVerde_nsfw (minors DNI) and find my other socials through the carrd link in my Twitter bio.

Psst, I am going to share a sneak peek of Chapter 4 on Patreon in the next 24 hours, with an alternative (very spicy) scenario to what will officially happen in the next chapter. If you want to see a bit of Solomon/Barbatos action, visit my creator page, /salsaverde.

Chapter 4

Summary:

Solomon and Barbatos have a conversation in the kitchen and things escalate.

Notes:

A quick content warning: this chapter contains a non-consensual make-out and mild violence. Please be mindful while reading.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Everyone prepared to head down to the beach after lunch. Barbatos did not plan to enter the water today, so he washed dishes and swept up crumbs while the others went to change into swimwear. They had agreed to meet on the front verandah and head down to the waterfront as a group. The fridge was stacked with water bottles, soda cans, and fresh grapes, and he had loaded the freezer with ice pops. His plan was to return to the beach house after a couple of hours to start dinner preparations, then return to the beach with a cooler filled with the refreshing snacks.

He could hear the others beginning to gather on the front verandah, their chatter drifting into the kitchen. The door to the room opened, admitting Solomon dressed in swimming trunks and a loose button-up with short sleeves. The buttons were not done up, leaving his chest and stomach exposed.

"Sunscreen police," he announced, holding up a pump bottle.

"A sensible idea," the demon nodded. "I'll put some on once I finish these dishes."

Solomon approached as Barbatos turned towards the sink, scour in hand as he assessed the dish he'd used to roast the shadow hog for the lunch rolls.

"I'll do your back while you wash up," he said, pumping the bottle.

Barbatos stiffened. "There’s no need to do— Oh!"

"Cold?" Solomon said, smirking and the butler glared over his shoulder.

"Considerably! Please refrain from dripping any on my pants or my shirt."

The sorcerer chuckled, gliding his hands across the small of the demon's back. "You sound like Asmodeus."

"I do not."

Barbatos faced the sink again and began to scrub at the places where the food had baked onto the dish. He tried to ignore the familiarity with which Solomon touched him, the way the sorcerer's fingers pressed against tight muscles in a way that brought relief he didn't know he needed. Solomon moved the waist of the charcoal culottes lower to avoid getting sunscreen on them and Barbatos felt his face flush. He cleared his throat.

"While I have you alone, I wanted to speak to you."

"Oh?" The sorcerer's tone seemed suddenly sarcastic. "Would it happen to be about Simeon?"

"Yes, actually. So, you've noticed."

"Hard not to when you were practically sitting in his lap during lunch."

The roasting dish slipped from Barbatos's hand, causing the sink water to slosh onto the benchtop. The butler grabbed a cloth and made short work of the mess before it could spill on the floor.

"I was not sitting in his lap," he scoffed.

Solomon pressed his thumbs into the lumbar either side of Barbatos's spine and dragged the digits out towards his hips. Barbatos clenched his jaw to supress a hiss.

"You were certainly getting cosy with him. You've been flirting with him since we arrived."

"I beg your pardon?" the butler snipped, grabbing the roasting dish from the water. "All I have done is hold a door open for him and then I sat beside him at lunch upon his request." A sharp huff from Solomon got under his skin. "Do not roll your eyes at me."

"Jeez, do you have eyes in the back of your head or something?" Solomon asked through a sarcastic laugh.

"I had assumed we were on the same page, but clearly that was incorrect. Have you not noticed Simeon acting strange?"

"Changing the subject now?"

"Oh, for the love of—" Barbatos set the roasting dish down and threw the scour into the murky water. He rounded on the sorcerer, batting his hands away. "Shall I take that to mean that you have not noticed that something is wrong? He chose to remain in his Human Realm clothes although we are in the Devildom."

Solomon gave an exaggerated shrug. "He said he spilled coffee on his other clothes, so what?"

"I am not certain of that being the truth and when he spoke about it, he seemed to be feigning his smile."

"His smile?"

"Solomon—"

"I find it odd that you've only today started showing any interested in him, Barb. It almost feels like you're doing it just to get back at me for this morning."

"I believe we have already addressed your inappropriate behaviour from this morning. What in the three realms are you suggesting?"

Solomon scowled and crossed his arms. "I admitted to having lingering feelings for you. Is your newfound interest in Simeon your way of ensuring I get the picture that you aren't interested in trying again? You don't need to go to such length. You were perfectly clear this morning. Or was your aim to make me jealous?"

"You are being preposterous," Barbatos retorted. "I shall take this to mean that you have not noticed that something is amiss with Simeon. In which case, I believe this conversation is over."

Barbatos turned his back to the sorcerer, but before he could take up the dish and scour again, Solomon grabbed him by the hips and spun him around again. His back pressed to the edge of the counter and he raised a hand to push the sorcerer away, but Solomon caught his wrist and held it aside. He caged Barbatos against the counter and crashed his lips to the butler's.

Electricity coursed through the demon. His heart thudded. His eyes closed. Solomon pressed their mouths more firmly together and Barbatos sighed, parting his lips to allow the sorcerer to deepen the kiss. His face felt hot. His body felt hot. His other hand grasped at the edge of Solomon's shirt, pulling the man closer. Their tongues slid against each other as Solomon released his hold on the butler's wrist and placed both hands on his bare waist instead. They breathed heavily, taking in the familiar scent and taste of such proximity for the first time in three hundred years. Solomon pressed his torso against the demon's, letting him feel the arousal that stirred behind his swimming trunks. Barbatos's free hand cupped the back of the sorcerer's head, fingers curling into his light grey locks.

Solomon broke the kiss, shifting to attack the demon's pulse point. His teeth and hot mouth scraped at Barbatos's neck, and the demon tilted his head back with a deep moan at the sensation of the sorcerer's tongue massaging along his throat. The front of the butler's pants grew tight as Solomon grabbed the back of one of his thighs and dragged it up along his own, pressing their hips flush together.

"Ah—!"

The sound that escaped Barbatos filled him with shame. He was panting from the heady rush of arousal, but suddenly his stomach felt heavy. Solomon sucked skin between his teeth.

"Solomon, wait . . ." He pushed against the sorcerer's chest with one hand.

Solomon's teeth released the skin and returned to heavy kissing against his throat.

"What's the matter, Barb? You're stronger than me. You could throw me through a wall if you didn't want this."

The demon's stomach sank. He twisted between Solomon and the benchtop, forcing his ex-lover to release the grip on his thigh.

"Solomon, stop," Barbatos said, his other hand disentangling from the man's hair. He pushed against Solomon's shoulder. "I said stop."

He shoved Solomon back, frustration taking over. He felt the wash of a dark aura begin to permeate the air around him, charged with his own fearsome Infernal magic. Solomon grabbed both of his wrists.

"Why can't you admit that you still want me?!"

"I do not wish to be with you, Solomon," Barbatos said, his voice firm.

"Then why did you let me kiss you? Why did you kiss back?"

Barbatos twisted a hand out of the sorcerer's grasp. Faster than Solomon's eyes could track, the demon struck him across the face. The shock forced Solomon to release his grip and take a step back.  

"Ow . . ."

Barbatos did not allow himself to apologise for resorting to such an uncouth method, but he really had no choice. He did not like the way his hand had marred the sorcerer's cheek, but he straightened his back and fixed the man with a dangerous look.

"If I must be so crass in order to spell this out for you, then I shall say what I must. We were only good at two things by the end of our relationship: fucking and fighting. You were never good with boundaries, Solomon. If perchance you had forgotten, that is why I ended what was between us. You have made it abundantly clear just now that nothing has changed."

The sorcerer gingerly cupped his abused cheek, blinking away the sensation that the room was spinning. He took another step back, heeding the warning of the Infernal aura gathered around the demon. Before either of them could say another word, the kitchen door swung open.

"Darling! There you— oh?" Asmodeus came to a screeching halt as he surveyed the room, looking between Barbatos and Solomon. The Avatar of Lust arched an eyebrow with a smirk. "Am I interrupting?"

"No," Barbatos said, turning abruptly back to the sink. "Solomon was just leaving. Please, head down to the beach without me. There is no need to wait. I shall join you all a little later."

The dark aura did not dissipate. He ignored them both. He lifted the roasting dish out of the sink and resumed scrubbing. Solomon did not move at first, watching the demon while he rubbed his cheek. Asmodeus stepped into the room and approached the sorcerer.

"Come on, stop causing trouble, idiot!" The freezer door opened and closed—probably Asmodeus grabbing an ice pack for Solomon’s face.

"Ow! That hurts . . ."

"You probably deserved it," Asmodeus snapped. "Come on! The others are waiting to head down to the beach."

The Avatar of Lust dragged the sorcerer off. The roasting dish cracked under the pressure of Barbatos's grasp.

Notes:

Thank you for reading! I'd love to know your thoughts.

I have shared an alternative version of this chapter on my P@treon, in which things get properly spicy between Solomon and Barbatos. I wanted to keep this fic itself Mature but not Explicit and I didn't feel like these two fucking in the kitchen quite worked with the overall vibe I want for this story. If you're interested, find me on P@treon: /salsaverde.

Follow me on Twitter for fanart (mostly retweeted, sometimes created by me) and to hear about what else I'm working on.

Chapter 5

Summary:

Barbatos does not follow the others down to the beach after the confrontation with Solomon in the kitchen, but he watches them from the house while he is alone with his thoughts.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Barbatos did not follow the others to the beach after he finished the post-lunch clean-up. Solomon's touch was still burning against his skin, leaving him uncomfortably flushed. He had meant what he said—he had no feelings left for the sorcerer, but their chemistry in the bedroom had been excellent and Barbatos found him attractive. Perhaps that was why it was so easy to return the kiss in the moment. It was not for lack of desire, but a matter of principle. They were ex-lovers. Regardless of any lingering sexual attraction, Barbatos had suspected that the sorcerer's feelings for him may be reignited if they were to seek each other out for bodily satisfaction. As such, Barbatos would not entertain the idea of resuming their relationship as something more than friends.

I give an inch, he takes a mile. He never was good with boundaries, the butler thought bitterly.

The kitchen and the casual dining room were immaculate. It had barely been half an hour since the others ventured down to the beach, but he had already cleaned everything he could find. He considered making a start on dinner preparations, but it was far too early. He paced out onto the verandah and followed the wooden slats around the perimeter of the house, listening to the sounds of the ocean being carried up the hill. The light of Diavolo's sun was impressive as always. Out of sight, insects chirped out their mating calls in the undergrowth, their symphony filling the air.

From the back of the house, Barbatos could see the distant figures of the others on the sand and in the water. He spotted Solomon and Asmodeus off to one side, having what looked to be a rather feisty discussion with arm gestures. He wondered what the Avatar of Lust would make of their current predicament. That may well be what the pair were discussing. Closer to where the path down to the beach ended, a cluster of towels and bags and beach umbrellas was sparsely occupied by Satan, reading a book, Leviathan, playing on a handheld console, and Belphegor, who appeared to be asleep. Beelzebub and Mammon were erecting a volleyball net closer to the water. In the surf, Lucifer and Diavolo were wading hand in hand. They seemed at ease, talking casually, and turning to smile at one another. Barbatos felt his heart clench. He was happy for them, truly, but they reminded him of what he did not have. They paused to kiss each other. It looked gentle. Not like the way Solomon had kissed him in the kitchen. His heart ached for something tender like that, something he could trust. Perhaps he could have that with Solomon if they tried again. Solomon and Asmodeus were not monogamous, after all. Barbatos considered the option briefly. Three centuries had clearly done nothing to quell their lust for one another, only repressed it for a time, and now it had reared its head once more.

Perish the thought, he told himself. That ship has sailed and sunk to the bottom of some distant ocean. We will never have what we wanted from each other.

In the shallows, Simeon stood in shin-deep water wearing swimming trunks and his dark blue button-up top from one of his Human Realm outfits. He watched Luke jump into small oncoming waves that crested no higher than his chest and sprayed seafoam up into his face. Every now and then, the older angel's gaze would travel out to sea and eventually he would end up staring at Lucifer. He was too far away for Barbatos to see the way his shoulder surely slumped, but something about the moment told Barbatos it was so. Then Luke ran up to his guardian, holding seashells he'd plucked from the sand between waves. Simeon's attention returned to the younger angel, and Barbatos thought he hear Simeon's gentle laugh carry up to him on the breeze.

Solomon's earlier accusations had bristled him. There was something not right about the usually so happy-go-lucky angel. His joy looked surface deep. Could it be from seeing Lucifer with Diavolo? It was clear the angel had feelings for the former. Indeed, Barbatos had suspected as much from early in the exchange program, but it was only now becoming so painfully apparent. But the subtle melancholy around the angel seemed bigger than unrequited love. It was a shame Solomon was too caught up being a jealous fool to realise something was amiss. Although the accusations of flirting with the angel were irksome, the suggestion gave Barbatos pause. He considered his earlier interactions with Simeon. They had enjoyed each other's company in the kitchen, despite some delicate conversation topics. And they had shared close proximity during lunch. Thinking on it, Barbatos could not recall a time where he sat so close with someone who was not a lover. In addition, the angel was not unattractive. In fact, Barbatos thought him objectively quite beautiful. His hair framed his face well, his features were soft and warm, his eyes were a celestial blue that, Barbatos realised, he'd already gotten lost in on more than once today. He had a nice smile. His lips looked soft and inviting. For a moment, the butler allowed himself to consider what it might feel like to kiss Simeon. The idea made his heart falter.

Alas, he is an angel. And I am a demon.

Shaking his head, he turned away from the view of the beach and followed the verandah around to the front doors. He left them slid open as he stepped into the entrance area. In front of him, the elevated platform was positioned before the partially restored mural. Perhaps he would allow himself to become lost in the act of painting to clear his head. He retrieved the paint palette and brush from the laundry basin and climbed up to where he had stopped that morning. The methodical stroke, stroke, stroke, of restoration helped to lift the heavy feeling in his stomach. At some point, he began to hum to himself. The deep notes filled his small corner of the big empty house, and he did not feel so alone.

"There you are," a voice said from the doorway.

He turned to find Simeon leaning against the doorframe. Grains of sand stuck to his bare shins and his hair was windswept. The top four buttons at the front of his dark blue shirt were undone, allowing a substantial peek at his physique—pretty collarbones, resting above well-developed pectorals. The cuffs of his sleeves were still fastened around his wrists, despite the heat of the Devil's Coast sun.

"Is everything alright?" Barbatos asked, setting down his tools.

"Of course! I just wondered where you were since you never came down to the beach." He dusted the sand from his legs before he stepped over the threshold and Barbatos was appreciative of that, though he doubted the others would be so courteous.

"My apologies. I became distracted." He checked the time on his D.D.D. and was surprised to find it was already the middle of the afternoon. "Ah, it is time for me to make some preparations for dinner. Would you like to join me in the kitchen?"

He made the offer without thought, only realising as Simeon answered with, "I'd love to!"

Barbatos stepped to the edge of the platform.

"Would you like help getting down?" Simeon asked, stepping closer and offering a hand before Barbatos could answer.

The demon hesitated, but the angel was far more genuine in his offer than Solomon had been that morning. He took Simeon's hand, bracing his other hand on the angel's shoulder. Simeon's other hand clasped his hip gently, and when Barbatos's feet touched the floor, Simeon released the butler and took a step back.

"My thanks," Barbatos said.

Simeon only shrugged. "What are we making for dinner?"

They set about their tasks in the kitchen, preparing fresh seafood that Barbatos had bought from a market at the nearby public pier that morning. They shelled prawns while Simeon told him about the antics down at the beach and how many shells Luke had found. Once the prawns were marinading in a garlic and chilli sauce, they prepared a rice salad and a garden salad, sans the dressing. Barbatos felt himself at ease in the angel's presence.

"It is still another hour before I need to cook anything. I had meant to take a cooler of snacks down to the beach around now and make sure everyone was hydrated. Would you join me?"

He retrieved the cooler and settled icepacks along the bottom, with ice pops directly on top of them.

"What would they do without you, Barb?" Simeon laughed, adding water bottles and soda cans. "Thank you for taking care of us."

The sentiment took him aback. Barbatos smiled.

"It brings me joy to take care of the Young Master and our friends. It is no trouble."

The cooler had a handle on each end, so they carried it down to the beach together. The water and ice pops were the first things to go, and they rationed out the grapes so that Beelzebub did not eat them all at once. Solomon would not meet his eyes, though Barbatos could not tell if that was out of guilt for their fight earlier, or because he thought the fact that he and Simeon had arrived together meant something more than it really did. There was no visible mark on his cheek from where Barbatos had struck him in the kitchen. Presumably, he had either healed it himself or allowed Asmodeus to do so. The butler ignored him. He had agonised over his ex-lover's foolishness quite enough for one day.

Notes:

Thank you for reading this lil chapter! There will be roughly 27 chapters based on the plan I now have, but there may be more depending on how long they end up. I am trying to keep these updates relatively short since the whole fic will only span a handful of days.

What did you think? Let me know in the comments if you're enjoying this fic.

Check me out on Twitter @SalsaVerde_NSFW and P@treon /salsaverde for more of my stuff.

Chapter 6

Summary:

After everyone else has gone to bed, Barbatos resumes his work restoring the mural in the entrance hall. Luke has a bad dream and confides in the demon.

Notes:

This chapter is on the longer side because there wasn't a point that felt right to split it into two. Please enjoy~

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

The day guests arrived was always the earliest night for them to retire. Between the travel fatigue, the heightened group energy, and the exhaustion of the day's activities, everyone slipped off to their rooms well before midnight.

Everyone, that is, except Barbatos.

He had a pleasant evening, despite the bumpy afternoon. Everyone had enjoyed the dinner he had prepared with Simeon's help, and dessert had gone down a treat. He was quietly grateful that Solomon did not try to engage him in conversation again though. He sat with Asmo at his side or on his lap and seemed to make a concerted effort to look at anyone except Barbatos. That was fine by the butler. However, it did not escape his notice that Solomon was making a point to talk to Simeon especially.

They had used the main dining room for dinner and spread out into the casual dining area, the sitting room, and the verandah for the rest of the evening. After the others went to bed, Barbatos made his rounds cleaning until he was satisfied that the house was pristine once more. The last place he tidied was the entrance area, where he swept the sand that had come in attached to the beachgoers' legs back out onto the verandah and let it disappear between the wooden slats.

He left the doors open to allow the cool night air to flow into the house. The sound of the ocean seemed louder at night. The natural distant ambience of the waves crashing against the shore and each other in the ever-shifting tide was a pleasant backdrop as he mounted the elevated platform in front of the entrance hall’s wall mural, and looked at the restoration he had done so far. He worked by his own light, generating a small orb of glowing warm white which floated in the air above him. It was like a small flameless candle, or a firefly. It flickered softly as he continued to paint, reinvigorating the mural one brushstroke at a time. The low hum from his throat sounded clearer in the mostly dark space. He kept the volume soft so as not to bother the others in their beds. Somewhere down the hall, he could hear the airy moans of Asmodeus.

Solomon must not be in his own bed tonight.

He did not know when they stopped having sex, but eventually he realised that his humming and the crashing waves outside were the only sounds again.

"Barbatos?"

He turned towards the small voice coming from the other direction. Luke was rubbing his eyes with a small fist, his pyjamas loose on his tiny frame and covered in cartoon dogs. The butler couldn't help but smile at the sweet child.

"My apologies, Luke. Did I wake you?"

The small angel shook his head and turned his eyes to the floor.

"No . . . I had a bad dream."

The demon considered the little angel with an empathetic expression. Setting his paint brush and palette down on the railing, Barbatos stepped to the edge of the platform and crouched down, wrapping his arms around his knees for balance.

"Would you like to join me for a little while, until you're ready to sleep again?"

Luke hugged himself, pouting at the floor.

"I would appreciate some company while I paint, if you do not mind. It is a little lonely with everyone already in bed."

The little angel glanced up at the demon, a surprised look on his face. His lips were trembling.

"Well, I wouldn't want you to be on your own," he murmured.

He stepped towards the elevated platform and Barbatos pulled him up with ease. Luke gave him a hug once he was safely up, his little face pressing against the front of Barbatos's blouse. The demon moved slowly as he wrapped his arms around Luke in return, tucking his head beneath his chin.

"Would you like to tell me about your bad dream? It might help to make it seem less scary if you share it with someone."

Luke didn't answer straight away, but squeezed his arms around Barbatos even tighter. The butler adjusted so that his legs dangled over the edge of the elevated platform. Luke settled in his lap. The material at the front of Barbatos's blouse became damp, and he could feel the little angel's shoulder's shaking. The butler rubbed soothing circles against the child's back, gently hushing him.

"I-I dreamed— that S-Simeon—" He couldn't finish the sentence through choked sobs.

"It's alright, Luke," Barbatos soothed.

"He— he— he—!"

The angel was hyperventilating, unable to calm down. Barbatos pulled the boy away from his chest, turning him to face away and then tilted his head back slightly, letting it rest on his shoulder.

"Luke, breathe. It's alright. It was only a dream. It's alright. Breathe."

The young angel drew in deep breaths, his body shaking with sobs until he began to calm down. Barbatos stroked his hair gently, waiting patiently as the tension in Luke's body began to dissipate. When Luke's breathing evened out, Barbatos reached into the pocket of his pants and extracted a handkerchief. He wiped the little angel's eyes and tearstained cheeks and his snotty little nose, at which point, Luke turned himself back towards the butler and hugged himself to his chest again.

"Sorry . . . I had a dream that Simeon had fallen and turned into a demon . . ." He managed to get the sentence out without sobbing, but drew in a shuddering breath after.

His words gave Barbatos goosebumps. His chest felt tight. He kept patting Luke's hair.

"I can understand why that would have seemed scary, Luke," Barbatos said carefully. "It was only a dream. Simeon is asleep in his room, safe and sound."

Luke sniffed a few more times and nodded his head. A small hand bunched into a fist around the material of Barbatos's blouse.

"Wh-what are you painting?" he asked, peeking over the demon's shoulder to where the little orb of light bobbed near the wall.

A distraction will help, Barbatos thought. Carefully, he stood up and adjusted the small angel onto his hip as if he were holding a toddler. He stepped across the elevated platform to where he had been working and picked up his paintbrush again. He left the palette of paint resting on the safety rail.

"I was up to this giant koi fish," he said, proceeding to touch up the orange scales. "The mural in this part of the house is based on a story. Would you like me to tell you about it?"

"Mhm." Luke nodded against the demon's collarbone.

"There was once a small fishing village close to this place. The demons who lived there would sail out to sea with large nets and return with far more fish than they needed, allowing many to go to waste. This was having a devastating effect on the marine ecosystems." He washed the orange paint off his brush and dipped the very tip into the black paint to redefine the outline of the koi fish. "One day, a giant koi fish the size of a fishing barge rose up out of the water in front of one of the fishing boats, and warned the demons that they must stop taking so many fish that they did not need."

"Why was the fish so big?"

Barbatos chuckled.

"This was no ordinary koi fish, but an ancient Infernal spirit who had dwelled in the waters off this coast for eons. He took the form of a koi fish for his first meeting with the sailors in the hopes that they would not be afraid of him, but that they would still see how powerful he was."

Luke hummed, satisfied with this explanation, so Barbatos continued.

"Unfortunately, the demons were very greedy. When they saw the giant koi fish, who was larger than any of their nets, they decided they must catch him. Since they did not have a net that was big enough to catch such a gigantic fish, the demons returned to their village and got to work tying all of their nets together to make something big enough."

Luke tutted. "Demons are so shady!"

Barbatos raised an eyebrow at the angel, who took a moment longer to realise who he was speaking to.

"E-except for you! And Lord Diavolo is nice too . . . Sorry!"

Barbatos chuckled. "It is quite alright, Luke. The demons in this story were very shady."

"Did they catch the giant koi fish?"

"Oh, is it story time?" a voice asked from the same hallways Luke had appeared from.

Barbatos turned himself with Luke still on his hip to face the new arrival. Simeon wore loose tracksuit pants and an oversized shirt with long sleeves, despite the lingering warmth in the air. His hair was messy from sleep as he stepped towards the pair.

"I heard Luke outside my door earlier. He didn't come in, but I didn't hear his door close again either. Now I see why."

"Simeon . . ." the young angel sighed. "I'm sorry."

The older angel's eyebrows shot up in surprise. "Whatever for? You haven't done anything wrong. Can I join you both up there?"

Barbatos stepped back to the edge of the platform, transforming into his demon form. He wrapped his tail around the safety rail and adjusted Luke on his hip before reaching down to offer Simeon a hand up. The older angel clasped his wrist and braced one foot against the edge of the platform, then kicked off. Barbatos stepped back, dragging him up with ease before tucking his tail and horns away.

"Thanks," Simeon beamed, but he frowned as he took a closer look at Luke. "Oh! Luke, what's wrong?"

The little angel groaned and turned his face to hide against Barbatos's neck.

"I don't want to talk about it . . ."

"Oh . . . Alright, darling . . ." The older angel wrung his hands together for a moment, hovering close to Barbatos while he tried to work out what to do with himself.

Barbatos placed his free hand on Simeon's arm. "I was helping Luke take his mind off things with a story about the mural. Would you like to listen too?"

With a grateful smile, Simeon sat down on the platform with his back against the safety rail. He curled his legs beneath him and watched Barbatos take up his paintbrush once more.

"The next day, the demons from the fishing village set out in their boats with their giant net to catch the koi fish. But being an ancient Infernal spirit, the giant koi fish did not fall for their trap. He transformed into a giant whale, even bigger than all of the fishing nets put together, and he turned his back to them. With his mighty tail, he created a typhoon and all of the fishing boats capsized. The demons all washed ashore while the Infernal spirit tangled their giant net around their sinking boats. With no boats and no net, the demons of the fishing village were unable to continue overfishing the area."

Barbatos could feel Luke relaxing more, his breathing slowing as his eyes grew heavy. The demon adjusted him carefully on his hip and continued painting while he spoke.

"While the demons rebuilt their boats and made new nets, the fish were able to thrive and the ecosystem was able to recover. When the demons were ready to resume fishing, the giant koi fish came to visit them again and gave them a warning. If they continued to overfish the area, he vowed to create a typhoon so powerful that it would wipe out the entire village. After seeing the Infernal spirit's awesome power, the demons heeded the warning. And so, they set off on their first fishing trip in a long time, promising to respect the wildlife and only take what they need from now on."

Glancing down, Barbatos confirmed his suspicion that Luke had fallen asleep. His eyes were puffy from his earlier tears, but the crease of his brow had smoothed out and his face looked peaceful. The demon smiled gently and set down his paintbrush. He turned to Simeon. The older angel was watching him with a small smile. He stood up and stepped quietly towards Barbatos, smoothing Luke's hair down with the back of his hand.

"Thanks for taking care of him while he was upset," he murmured.

"That is quite alright," Barbatos said. "He had a bad dream. I am glad I could take his mind off it."

Simeon nodded. "And we both got to learn a little history."

"Actually, I made that entire story up just now," Barbatos said, tilting his head to one side.

Simeon's eyebrows shot up and he covered his mouth with both hands, stifling a laugh. The joy reached his eyes, and Barbatos found himself looking into their sleepy blue depths. The angel lowered his hands, still grinning, and Barbatos's eyes darted to his lips as he recalled the thought he had conjured that afternoon, of what they may feel like to kiss. He looked away quickly, turning his head towards the hallway to the angels' bedrooms.

"Shall Luke sleep in your bed tonight?"

Simeon nodded. "Yes. I know he wanted to climb in with me earlier or he wouldn't have been outside my door. And if he had a bad dream, then that makes good sense."

The older angel sat on the edge of the elevated platform and lowered himself down. He turned back to face Barbatos and held out his arms.

"Pass him down to me."

The demon perched on the edge of the platform and slowly tried to pull the younger angel away. However, his plan was thwarted by the tiny fists gripping the material of his blouse. Luke stirred for a moment, so Barbatos let his weight settle again.

"Hmm . . . He does not seem to want to let go. I do not wish to wake him . . ."

Simeon chuckled from below. "I'll help you down," he said.

It was a careful effort, and Simeon murmured an apology when his hands grasped at the demon's waist, but both butler and child made it safely down from the platform. Simeon smiled at Luke's sleeping face, tucked beneath Barbatos's chin.

"He really trusts you," the angel whispered, stroking the back of Luke's head. "I'm glad he has someone like you who can look out for him.

There was a quiet sadness in his voice. Barbatos tilted his head in question, but the angel turned away before he could ask anything. Simeon slid the front door to the verandah shut and fastened the latch. They walked quietly towards Simeon's room, passing Solomon's open door on the way. Simeon turned down the blankets on one side of the bed and stepped back for the demon to set the boy down. The angel stepped around to the other side of the bed and watched Barbatos gently try to tug the material of his blouse out of Luke's tight grasp. In his sleep, the boy whined and tried to shift closer to the demon again. Barbatos frowned, worried to wake him.

"He isn't going to let you go," Simeon giggled, sliding under the blanket to lay beside the smaller angel. "Looks like you'll have to sleep here, too."

Barbatos's eyes shot to Simeon's face, wide with surprise at the suggestion. His face heated up. He glanced back at Luke's sleeping face.

"I suppose there is no helping it . . . Are you certain that will be okay?"

"Of course. There's enough room," Simeon said. "A-as long as you don't mind, of course," he added, quickly.

Barbatos pressed his lips into a thin line, hesitating. It was not being in the same bed as the two angels for a night that concerned him, but what would happen if Solomon realised. Considering the sorcerer's earlier accusations, he could only assume he would react poorly.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable with the suggestion," Simeon said, sitting up again. "We can just wake him up, he'll fall asleep again in no time."

"No, that will not be necessary," Barbatos said. "My apologies, it has been a long day. I think it is a good solution. I shall stay tonight."

The butler toed his sandals off and slid into the bed on Luke's other side. Simeon looked unconvinced, frowning with worry until Barbatos smiled at him.

"Lay down, Simeon. I assure you, this is perfectly fine. You did not make me uncomfortable."

The angel glanced at Luke's sleeping face, which was once again nuzzled against Barbatos's chest. He reached across the pillow to soothe the boy's hair down again. Barbatos closes his eyes and listens to the sounds of the night, the distant rumble of the ocean, the deep and even breathing of the sleeping angel clinging to his blouse, and the occasional sigh of the man on the other side of the bed.

Notes:

Thanks for reading! Drop me a comment to tell me what you think~

Say hi to me on Twitter @SalsaVerde_NSFW, where I occasionally share attempted art.

Chapter 7

Summary:

Barbatos wakes before Simeon and Luke and slips away. Solomon finds him in the kitchen.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Despite the late night, Barbatos awoke at first light. It was too warm beneath the blanket with Luke's small body tucked against him. The young angel's head was nestled under the demon's chin, and his warm breath had left the hollow of Barbatos's throat damp with condensation. Simeon had shifted lower down the bed during the night and was sleeping with an ear pressed against Luke's back and his face turned up on an angle that would no doubt bother his neck all day.

The pair did not stir as Barbatos propped himself up on one elbow. Luke was only clutching his blouse with one hand and his grip was much looser than the during the night, making it easier for Barbatos to gently remove without waking him. However, a warm weight across the demon's waist provided some resistance. Barbatos slowly lifted the blanket to see Simeon's hand resting against the exposed skin between his cropped blouse and his pants.

Suddenly, he felt much more awake and aware of his surroundings. A small gasp left the butler and he turned his eyes to Simeon's face, half expecting the angel to be peering at him through lidded eyes with a smirk on his tender lips, but he was certainly still sleeping. The excessive warmth beneath the blanket felt unbearable as Barbatos's cheeks flushed and his heart sped up.

Why do I feel as though I have done something wrong? 

He reached down to Simeon's hand, carefully lifting it from his midriff so that he could roll out of the bed. He set the angel's hand gently against Luke's back instead, but his own fingers lingered against Simeon's soft skin. The cuff of the long nightshirt brushed against Barbatos's knuckles. His gaze travelled to Simeon's face again and settled on his mouth. His lips were slightly parted. Barbatos swallowed down the fickle feeling in his throat that urged him to do something foolish, something like run his fingers over those parted lips, or press his own against them.

He pulled away, standing fast without thinking. The sudden shift as his weight left the mattress caused Luke to stir and the small angel opened his groggy eyes, still puffy from the night before.

"Mmrbatos?" he mumbled.

The butler leaned down to stroke his hair. It was messy. He wanted to sit the boy on his knees and brush it, but that wouldn't do at this hour.

"It is still early, Luke," he said quietly. "Go back to sleep."

The small angel did not need to be told twice. His eyes drooped shut and he rolled over to hug Simeon's head. Barbatos chuckled quietly as he padded barefoot to the door, wondering if Luke would remember such a brief waking moment later. Stepping out into the hallway, he realised that the bedroom door had stood open while they slept. He closed it softly. Solomon's bedroom door was still open and he peeked inside as he stepped past. The sorcerer had not returned to his own bed during the night.

At least that means he does not know that I spent the night in Simeon's room. Good grief, must I truly be so cautious all of a sudden?

His own bedroom door had remained open overnight, too. He found a change of clothes and showered while the rest of the house slept, then opened the windows in the casual dining area and the kitchen. The first thing he made was coffee, though his subconscious prompted him to make two mugs. While Barbatos was not permitted to use his powers freely, he was allowed to use them to anticipate the needs of the Young Master and anyone else who fell under his care. He did not focus on who it was that would arrive in time to share a coffee with him, but allowed his hands to add less sugar and milk than he placed in his own cup. As he stirred the sugar to dissolve it, his shoulders slumped as he recognised whose coffee preference he was catering too.

The kitchen door opened behind him, but he kept his back to the new arrival as if he had not sensed them. He listened to the hesitance in the familiar footsteps as he stirred the coffee more than necessary. He couldn't pretend not to hear the door when it closed with a soft thud and the other early riser came to a stop at a respectable distance.

"How is your face this morning?" Barbatos asked, turning to Solomon with a coffee cup in each hand.

The sorcerer chuffed a laugh. "Asmo kissed it better, but it still hurts."

"Good," Barbatos smirked, arching an eyebrow.

Solomon rubbed the back of his neck. "Yeah, I deserved it. I was being a phenomenal jerk. I'm sorry."

The demon huffed his own sardonic laugh and held up the coffee made for Solomon—it would be their proverbial olive branch. The sorcerer took a cautious step forward, analysing the offering and the other man.

"You may approach," Barbatos assured.

". . . You won't give me another whumping?"

"Not if you behave."

They narrowed their eyes at each other, testing the atmosphere between them. Solomon stepped closer and took the coffee mug, careful not to let their hands brush. He leaned against the bench next to Barbatos and took a sip.

"Thank you," he said. "And sorry, again, for yesterday. I was out of line."

Barbatos heaved a sigh. "Do not do it again."

Solomon nodded, but then a devious smirk appeared on his face.

"Can I make it up to you?" he asked, bumping his shoulder to the demon's.

Barbatos scowled at him. "Only if it does not involve your cooking."

The sorcerer threw his head back and laughed. Barbatos shook his head and took a deep drink from his coffee mug.

"Alright, alright, I won't bake you my famous apology cake."

The demon visibly shuddered. "Was that the one with marinara sauce mixed into the batter, or the one you soak in kombucha?"

"I wonder . . ." He took a sip of his coffee, holding his pinkie finger out in exaggerated propriety.

"Good grief," Barbatos muttered.

He strode across to the fridge and pulled out two cartons of eggs, then retrieved the biggest mixing bowl he could find. He began cracking eggs into the bowl with expert speed, not a hint of shell falling in, not a single yolk breaking as it plopped free of its delicate confines. Solomon came to stand behind the demon and pressed his forehead against the back of Barbatos's shoulder. Barbatos allowed it, but did not slow his work. It jostled Solomon's head with every egg he retrieved, until all two dozen had been cracked.

"Pass me a whisk?"

Solomon did as asked, then resumed his position with his face against Barbatos's back.

"I am going to knock your coffee out of your hand with my elbow if you are not careful," the demon said over his shoulder.

The sorcerer moved the mug out of range and spoke against the demon's spine.

"I'm sorry we were never good at anything except fucking and fighting," he said.

Barbatos felt his heart sink into his stomach at those words. After a beat, Solomon continued.

"The exchange program is the first time we had regular contact since you left and I—" He cut himself off, not allowing his voice to crack. He pulled away from the demon and finished his coffee before he went on. "I didn't want to admit to myself that I still had feelings. I thought I could pretend, but . . . Well, I'll let yesterday speak for itself."

A long silence stretched between them, filled only by the whisk dragging against the mixing bowl as the eggs were beaten.

"I was too harsh when I said that yesterday," Barbatos said. "We had many good years, Solomon. It was only towards the end when that stopped being the case."

"I think we could go back to that if you gave it a chance," he stated, but the demon knew from his tone that it was not intended as a demand.

"As I said yesterday, Solomon, we work better as friends."

"Until I become a jealous asshole." There was a wry smile in his voice.

After a moment, they sighed in unison and shared a chuckle for their synchronicity.

"Are you enjoying having an apprentice?" Barbatos asked, taking the opportunity to shift the conversation.

"Yeah! It's a nice change of pace to have them under my wing. They're really thriving. They miss everyone, though."

The butler hummed. "I believe everyone misses them too, though it has not been long since we all visited the Human Realm."

"They were upset that they couldn't join us here this week. Alas, they had prior commitments with their own family. It must be difficult for them to lead a double life like this."

Barbatos nodded and seasoned the eggs.

"Have you ever considered adding—"

"No."

"You don't even know what I was—"

"No."

He chuckled and stepped away, leaving his empty coffee mug next to the sink. He returned to lean against the edge of the bench, next to Barbatos.

"Are we okay?"

The demon met his eyes and gave a single nod. The way Solomon's mouth twisted told him that the sorcerer was not convinced, but he did not press the matter.

"I'm going to head out before I try something stupid again."

Barbatos smirked. "I will put you through a wall next time."

Solomon huffed a laugh and grinned. "Thanks for the coffee. I'll see you later."

Notes:

I don't know why, but I'm a little obsessed with playing on the longing between Barbatos and Solomon in this fic. Anyway, thank you for reading and I hope you liked it! Leave a comment and come say hi to me on Twitter @SalsaVerde_NSFW.

Chapter 8

Summary:

Breakfast is served, but it goes downhill quickly.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The smell of breakfast cooking drew everyone to the casual dining room in due time. It was fascinating to assess the various stages of ready for the day they arrived in. Beelzebub was among the first, dressed in loose shorts a sleeveless shirt that exposed his muscular arms. He had clearly been for a morning jog and only detoured to collect his twin upon his return. Belphegor was slung over his shoulder when he entered the casual dining room, just as Barbatos set down a plate of egg muffins, fresh from the oven.

"Oh good, we didn't miss breakfast."

He deposited his twin on the couch. Belphegor grumbled in his sleep and got comfy with his head in Beel's lap.

"You know I would never allow such a thing, Beelzebub," Barbatos reassured. "Not while you are under my care."

The Avatar of Gluttony grinned at the butler.

"Thanks, Barbatos!"

"Please enjoy your meal. There is plenty more for the others."

Lucifer and Diavolo emerged from their shared room hand in hand. The prince looked far more chipper in the mornings when he sat next to Lucifer, who, as all who knew him well were aware, was not a morning demon. The Young Master beamed at Barbatos when he stepped out of the kitchen with coffee for each of them.

"I trust you both slept well?" the butler greeted them.

"Oh yes! We slept very well after we finished—"

"My love, I am certain Barbatos needn't hear the details."

The butler gave them a polite smile and excused himself back to the kitchen. It was time to take another tray of egg muffins out of the oven. He set the hot tray on the benchtop while he loaded the next batch in and mentally set a timer for himself. Others could be heard filing in for breakfast as he turned the freshly cooked batch out onto a platter. He prepared more coffee, familiar with the way each of the guests preferred their morning brew. Mammon liked cream in his coffee. Lots of sugar and a shot of caramel syrup for Leviathan. He placed the coffees on another tray as he prepared them. Satan's was black and unsweetened, like Lucifer's, but topped with foamed milk. Artificial sweetener and only a drop of low-fat milk for Asmodeus. He made another cup for Solomon.

Barbatos stepped out of the kitchen with a tray in each hand, one with drinks and the other with more egg muffins. He weaved between the couches to set down the food and then handed out the coffees. Asmodeus was already fully dressed and groomed with his lashes full of mascara. He was sitting with his back against the armrest of the couch and his legs over Solomon's lap.

"Thank you, gorgeous~" he said with a wink as he took his cup. "You'll join us at the beach today, won't you?"

"That is my intention, indeed."

Asmodeus would have clapped his hands together with excitement if not for his beverage.

"I can't wait to see your swimwear~"

Barbatos shook his head with amusement and handed Solomon his drink. They shared a crooked smile as Barbatos straightened up. He returned to the kitchen and prepared a strong cup of tea for himself. The angels would arrive for breakfast in a moment. He made coffee for Simeon, and hot chocolate for Luke, then took the last batch of egg muffins out of the oven.

Simeon was settling into the armchair they had shared during lunch yesterday when Barbatos stepped into the room again. He was fully dressed, wearing an outfit from the human realm once more—a fresh, but identical shirt to the one he wore yesterday, buttoned up to his throat and fastened at the cuffs around his wrists. The image of his sleeping face invaded the demon's mind and his skin remembered the touch of the angel's hand on his waist when he awoke this morning. He frowned at himself for allowing that thought to come to mind. Simeon had a mouthful of egg muffin when the demon set down the fresh tray and the angel's drink.

"Mmrph!" he acknowledged while he chewed, a hand in front of his mouth.

Barbatos set Luke's hot chocolate down in front of the empty spot on Solomon's other side. The young angel would arrive shortly. He weaved around to the longer couch, where there was ample space for himself beside Lord Diavolo. Simeon managed to swallow his mouthful as Barbatos took his seat.

"Barbatos," Simeon drew his attention from across the low table. "You left your sandals in my room last night. I put them in your room before I came in here."

Before Barbatos could respond, Asmodeus had swivelled his legs off of Solomon's lap and was leaning forward, grinning as he looked between the butler and the angel.

"Ohoho~ And what might you have been doing in Simeon's room last night, Barbatos?" the Avatar of Lust teased.

The chatter around the table fell silent as everyone's attention was drawn to Asmo's words. The butler's stomach sank. Several impolite words and phrases ricocheted in his mind. He met Simeon's eyes across the table and watched his shoulders hunch at Asmodeus's implication. The angel dropped his gaze quickly, floundering for words.

"Ah! No, no, Asmo, it's nothing like that . . ."  Simeon said, fiddling with the buttons that fastened his cuffs around his wrist.

"Oh?" Lord Diavolo grinned. He raised an eyebrow in his butler's direction and nudged him playfully in the ribs. "You spent the night with Simeon?"

Barbatos cleared his throat and fixed a polite smile on his face. It pinched his cheeks. He sent a frosty glare towards Asmodeus, whose expression changed from coy and teasing to quiet panic as Barbatos risked a glance at Solomon. The sorcerer's expression was unreadable, but he did not look up from his coffee and the set of his shoulders made him seem closed-off. The others seemed to sense the uncomfortable tension and their curious smirks began to shrink away.

"As Simeon just said, it was not as you all seem to think," Barbatos said, keeping his voice steady despite the tightness in his throat and the way his face burned.

"That's right. We just slept together," Simeon added. "I mean— in the sense that he slept in my bed— not like— we didn't—"

Barbatos wondered if Lord Diavolo would permit him to turn back time by about two minutes so that he could prevent this conversation from occurring. He cleared his throat pointedly as Luke finally entered the room, oblivious to the awkward situation he was interrupting.

"Good morning, everyone!" he beamed, taking his seat beside Solomon.

He went straight for an egg muffin and took a big bite, which seemed to prompt the others into action.

"Thanks for making breakfast, Barbatos," Satan said, steering the conversation.

"Yeah, it's tasty," Beelzebub nodded.

"Whaddaya call these things, anyway?" Mammon asked, picking up another egg muffin and stuffing it in his mouth. "Are they easy to make?"

As regular conversation resumed, Solomon stood up without a word and left the room. He left his coffee behind. Asmodeus quickly finished his own beverage and grabbed another egg muffin as he went after the sorcerer, mouthing an apology to Barbatos as he passed.

 

Notes:

And just when we thought Solomon was going to chill out and play nice for Barbatos . . . no such luck I'm afraid. Thanks for reading! I love reading your comments, so don't be afraid to leave one and let me know your thoughts. Also, feel free to say hello to me on Twitter @SalsaVerde_NSFW 😉

Chapter 9

Summary:

Barbatos gets ready to head to the beach with some help from Asmodeus. The Avatar of Lust gives him some food for thought.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

After breakfast, Barbatos returned to his room to change into swimwear. He opted for a pair of dark green trunks with deep purple swirls. Then he considered the options for his upper body. He felt less at ease showing skin after how things had unfolded during breakfast, so he would not go shirtless. He debated between a light grey tank top or a mint-green button-up with a sparse pattern of palm fronds and short sleeves.

As if sensing his dilemma, a gentle knock on his door sounded before Asmodeus cracked it open and peeked inside.

"Barbie? Can I come in?"

His tone was uncharacteristically meek. He leaned his head against the doorframe and turned his eyes to the floor when he realised Barbatos was not fully dressed. His eyebrows were pinched into a guilt-ridden expression. The butler sighed and pulled the tank top over his head.

"Come in, Asmodeus."

The other demon stepped into the room and closed the door quietly behind him. He leaned back against the wood. Barbatos slipped the button-up on over the tank top and smoothed out the collar. He began to slip the buttons into their holes as he turned towards Asmo.

"Leave them undone," Asmo suggested. "It looks nice like that."

Barbatos undid the two buttons he had fastened and let the front of the shirt fall open. Asmo pushed off from the door and wandered over to Barbatos's dresser, perusing the small assortment of accessories the butler favoured. He selected a necklace with a black cord and a dark wood charm, flanked with a pair of shiny silver beads on either side, and a triple-loop bracelet of dark wooden beads that clacked together on their elastic. He turned back to Barbatos with the two items in hand and tilted his head as if to ask "What do you think?". 

Sitting on the edge of his bed, Barbatos held out his left wrist—an invitation. Asmodeus perched beside him and silently slipped the bracelet onto the butler's wrist. Barbatos lifted his hair to give the other demon clear access to his neck for the black cord necklace. The other demon moved carefully, fastening the clasp with nimble fingers. He hesitated as he pulled his hands away and Barbatos let his hair down again.

"Can I do your makeup?" Asmo asked.

He clasped his hands in his lap and waited for Barbatos to answer, worrying his bottom lip with his teeth.

"If you promise not to overdo it," he responded gently.

Asmodeus perked up immediately and rushed back to the dresser, collecting a few items.

"Lay down~" he chimed.

Barbatos swung his legs up onto the bed and lay with his head on his pillow, hands resting on his chest. Asmodeus appeared over him, dropping his selection on the pillow beside the other demon’s head. He straddled the butler's waist, his knees pressing into the mattress to support most of his weight. The position made his little hot pink shorts ride up high on his thighs, and as he leaned forward to begin his work, the loose pastel-pink button-up he wore fell forward, giving the butler a clear view of his bare chest underneath. Asmodeus began working a primer along the butler's cheeks.

"I'm sorry about what happened at breakfast," he blurted, keeping his eyes on his work, and not daring to meeting the butler's eyes. "I only meant to tease you, but I spoke without thinking. I know things are already tense between you and Solly right now, but then I went and opened my mouth and made it worse."

The Avatar of Lust was pouting. He took up the eyeshadow pallet and selected the dark purple he knew Barbatos favoured. The other demon closed his eyes so Asmo could continue his work.

"It was perhaps not the most ideal breakfast conversation, all things considered," Barbatos sighed. "However, you are not responsible for the way Solomon chooses to conduct himself. Regardless of whether there was something between myself and Simeon, Solomon should not behave as if I have somehow wronged him."

Asmodeus made a sound of agreement.

"Just because you've turned him down, it doesn't mean you have to turn down everyone. Besides, you have probably had other lovers since you left him. It has been three centuries, after all. It's a bit late for him to start having jealous tantrums, isn't it?"

Barbatos hummed his agreement. He could not see the other demon's face, but he could sense how close he was from the way Asmo's bangs tickled the side of his face and the sensation of his soft breath fanning against his cheek. It would be easy for either of them to close the small space between them and spend the rest of the morning kissing, the beach and the awkward morning forgotten. It would not be the first time the two had been casually intimate. Asmodeus had tasted like bubble gum the last time they made out, not long before the exchange program began. But with the exchange program, Solomon and Asmodeus had gone from long-distance lovers who occasionally saw each other, to a strongly bonded pair. With that level of proximity to his ex-lover, an unspoken agreement had fallen into place, in which their casual trysts discontinued. It had not hurt either of them. Ultimately, their intimacy had been purely convenient. Barbatos had no feelings for Asmodeus, or vice versa.

"You still love him, you know," Asmodeus said, interrupting the other demon's thoughts. "It's not just sexual tension left between you and Solomon. His lingering feelings are mutual."

The idea made the butler’s stomach twist. There was an ache in his chest which he refused to heed. Asmo set down the eyeshadow and allowed Barbatos to open his eyes.

"I'm not saying that you should tell him that. I just don't think you've really acknowledged it yourself, which is why I'm telling you."

"I am not still in love with Solomon," Barbatos stated. He did not think he sounded quite firm enough, so he added, "He is infuriating."

Asmodeus giggles. "You're not wrong about that, he really is. But, Barbie darling, you do still have feelings for him. Perhaps saying you're still in love with him isn't quite right. More, you're still in love with the idea of him and the potential you saw in the relationship when you first got together. You miss that part. And the sex, of course."

Barbatos let out an uncharacteristic groan and closed his eyes again. Asmodeus resumed working on his eyeshadow, adding a touch of silver above the purple.

"Regardless, Asmodeus, I do not want to be with him again."

"Oh, I know~" he sang. "I'm glad at least one of you knows when to let the feelings go."

The butler considered those words. He was quite sure that he was past any feelings for the sorcerer, but perhaps there was some merit in what the Avatar of Lust was suggesting. Barbatos said it himself this morning: he and Solomon did have their good years. They had been each other's primary partner for a long time, but eventually stopped meeting each other's needs as time took them in different directions. Trying to make it work had only pushed them further apart. After the fallout, they had salvaged a friendship and kept each other at arm's length until the exchange program began. Perhaps that was their compromise, in the end—to offer only friendship in place of romance so that something could work between them. And for three centuries, it had indeed worked.

Alas, it seemed the pattern they had fallen into was to become complicated once more. Barbatos sighed deeply. Yes, perhaps he was still in love with the idea of what he used to have with Solomon, but that was not the same as being in love with Solomon. Still, it was for the best that Barbatos keep that to himself, lest he give Solomon any more false hope.

Asmodeus finished the eyeshadow and began creating some lash-line definition with a liquid liner on the upper lid. He worked with a steady hand and gentle pressure, expertly cautious of the delicate skin he was decorating.

"So, what is going on between you and Simeon, hmm?~"

Barbatos crinkled his nose and opened one eye to scowl at the other demon.

"Hold still!" Asmodeus scolded.

"There is nothing to tell. Simeon and I are simply friends. Luke had a bad dream last night and sat up with me until he fell asleep again. He would not let go when I put him down in Simeon's bed, so Simeon suggested I stay the night. That is all there is to it."

"Hmph! Well, that's adorable, but ultimately boring," Asmo tutted, replacing the lid to the eyeliner.

Barbatos resisted to urge to shake his head, lest he receive another reprimand for moving. Asmodeus opened a lip liner next, close to the natural colour of the butler's lips, and sketched a soft outline around his mouth. He filled the lines with a thin coat of pink gloss, keeping it subtle but certainly still giving the look an Asmo-esque twist.

"You'll have to tell me when things do get spicy between you and the darling angel~" Asmo continued, smirking.

"I beg your pardon?"

"Did I stutter, Barbie?" he tittered.

He planted a dainty kiss on the tip of the butler's nose and dismounted, stretching his arms high above his head. The action brought the bottom of his shirt up, exposing a delicious peek of his bellybutton.

"All done~" he proclaimed.

Barbatos stood up and approached the mirror atop his dresser. He assessed the makeup. The eyeshadow was perfectly subtle, just barely there, though Asmodeus had used more eyeliner than Barbatos would have chosen to apply. The shade of pink on his lips was not one of his own glosses, but it complimented the green of his shirt and balanced out the darker colour around his eyes.

"Thank you, Asmodeus," he said. "I just need to put a bag together with a few items. I shall be ready shortly."

"Don't thank me yet. Thank me when you kiss the angel~"

"Asmodeus."

There was a coy smile on the Avatar of Lust's face as he sauntered towards the door.

"You may not have realised it just yet, Barbatos, but the two of you seem to have a bit of chemistry. I encourage you to put this information to use."

Before Barbatos could berate him further, Asmodeus slipped out the door. The butler packed a beach bag with a huff.

Notes:

Hm-hmmmm~

Thank you for reading! I hope you liked the little sprinkling of Asmodeus/Barbatos in there hehe. I will be writing a spicy AsmoBarb alternative to this chapter to share on P@treon in the next few days because I can't fucking help myself.

Say hi to me on Twitter @SalsaVerde_NSFW, where I share links to my other socials and my P@treon.

Chapter 10

Summary:

Solomon shows some bad sportsmanship towards Barbatos during a game of beach volleyball, and Asmodeus takes matters into his own hands.

Notes:

Hello hi, I am sick again (whyyyyyy) but this story is still living in my head rent-free.

I put a smutty AsmoBarb alternative to chapter 9 on my Patreon if anyone wants to check it out 😈

Please enjoy~

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

It was midmorning when they arrived at the beach. The tide was on its way out and the sun had already warmed the topmost layer of sand, but those who dug their toes in still found it cool beneath. Mammon and Beelzebub went straight for the volleyball net, setting it up quickly while everyone else lay out their towels and bags and shoes.

"Let's hustle!" Mammon barked, circling back to the others with Beelzebub on his heel.

He threw the ball so that it bounced off of Leviathan's head.

"OW! Quit it, normie!"

"Two teams of six," Beelzebub announced. "Let's do some warmup stretches and get a game happening."

"While everyone still has energy!" Mammon added, targeting Belphegor as his next victim to hit in the head with the ball.

Beelzebub clapped his hands to encourage everyone to move faster. He directed people to each side of the net, sorting everyone into relatively evenly matched teams. Barbatos ended up on Beelzebub's team, along with Leviathan, Asmodeus, Luke, and the Young Lord. They faced off against Mammon's team, with Lucifer, Satan, Belphegor, Solomon and Simeon.

The match started with suitably friendly competition, with sociable squabbling breaking out between the brothers from across the net. Each team stood in two lines of three and rotated after each point for their own team. It wasn't long before the they were all breaking a sweat under the false sun. Barbatos carded his hand back through his hair to remove it from where it stuck to his face as his team rotated and it became his turn to serve the ball. He tossed the ball overhead and struck it with enough force to see it over the net, only for Solomon to jump up from the front line and spike it down, hard. Luke ducked out of the way with a small yelp. Before the ball could hit the sand, Barbatos dived forward, and hit the ball back up. It arced high and travelled towards the opposite end of the net, without crossing over.

"Got it!" Diavolo yelled, bounding over to smack the ball across the net. "Nice save, Barb!"

"Sorry Luke! I didn't mean to hit it that hard," Solomon said, rubbing the back of his neck.

"It's okay!" the small angel laughed, scrambling to his feet.

The butler straightened up and brushed the sand from himself as Lucifer hit the ball back across to them with a small smirk. Beelzebub bounced it off his wrist so that it flew high, and quickly scooped Luke up so the small angel could hit it over the net as it came back down. Simeon cheered for him as he fumbled to take the ball next. He didn't hit it quite high enough to get it over the net and it bounced back into his face instead.

"Point!" Beelzebub announced, and Barbatos stepped out of serve.

"Simeon! Are you alright?" Asmodeus fretted, approaching the net. "Your poor face! I can kiss it better for you~"

Simeon waved his hands in front of him quickly before Asmodeus could duck beneath the net to reach him.

"No need, no need! I'm fine! Promise! See?" The angel grinned and awkwardly indicated to his own face. "No harm done!"

Luke attempted to serve the ball with Beelzebub in front of him and it bounced sadly off the back of the giant demon's head.

"Um . . . Maybe I should duck," Beelzebub laughed, crouching. "That one doesn't count," he assured Luke.

He tried again, but the ball landed in the sand next to Beelzebub.

"Ack! It's no use!" he said, looking forlorn. "Sorry everyone . . ."

His little shoulders slumped, so Barbatos stepped forward and took up the ball.

"Why don't you try once more, hmm? Here, I am sure no one will mind if I assist you." He gently tossed the ball to Luke and then moved to stand behind him. "If you toss it nice and high, I'll help you hit it across, like this."

He showed Luke how to ball his fist so that his own hand fit over the top, with Luke's forearm running down the inside of the butler's. He mimicked hitting the ball slowly so the little angel would know what movement to expect.

"O-okay, I'll try my best . . ." Luke said.

Beelzebub remained crouched down out of the way, but gave Luke a big smile. "You can do it!"

"Go Luke!" Simeon called out.

"Yeah! Ya got this, Fido!"

"My name is not Fido!" Luke shouted back, tossing the ball up with all his might.

Barbatos eyed the ball as it descended before them to get the angle just right. Careful not to harm the boy, he swung their joined arms forward together so that the ball ricocheted off their wrists. It was far from a perfect serve, but it made it over the net and Solomon gave it the air it needed for Simeon to clumsily get it back over the net. Asmodeus gave it a dainty smack from his end of the net and stepped out of the way for Leviathan to jump in and smash it back into the opponents back line with impressive precision.

"Whoooaaaaaa, this is just like in the anime I Will Become the Greatest Volleyball Player Ever Despite Being an Otaku!" he yelled.

Mammon fielded the attack and set the ball high. "Belphie, yours!"

With a groan, the Avatar of Sloth flung an arm at the descending ball and it lobbed over the net, dropping straight down as soon as it was over. Lord Diavolo took a dive for it, but the angle pushed it beneath the net.

"Point!" Mammon called. "Better luck next time, Big D!"

Lucifer scowled at his subordinate for the nickname with enough authority to make the other demon yelp, but Lord Diavolo boomed a jolly laugh as he stood up and brushed himself off. Their team rotated to the next positions, putting Lucifer in serve. In front of him, Lord Diavolo had a large grin and was crouched and ready to jump to intercept his lover's ball if needed. Lucifer's smirk widened.

"Quit yer flirtin', we don't got all day!" Mammon huffed after a moment.

Lucifer ignored his brother and served like an expert. The ball arced towards the centre as it crossed the net, and the Young Lord jumped high, headbutting the ball on a good angle to set it up for an attack. He stepped to one side and Barbatos moved in quickly, sending it towards Satan.

"Got it!" the Avatar of Wrath called.

He caught it on his wrists and it bounced skyward again, angled towards the centre without going over the net. It was a perfect handoff to Solomon, who jumped as the ball came back down and smashed it down across the net. The angle was too high for Diavolo to intercept, and it went straight for Barbatos. The butler adjusted his angle, stepping back and to the side as he pressed his wrists together to save. He sent the ball towards Asmodeus to keep it airborne, and caught Solomon scowling at him from the other side of the net as he straightened up. The butler glared back at him. He had suspected that Solomon was being deliberate with his aggressive ball work. Before either of them could say or do more, the ball smacked Solomon in the side of the head with enough force to knock him down.

"Oops~" Asmodeus tittered, though he was giving the sorcerer a very pointed, dangerous look. "Sorry, Solly~ But maybe you need to pay more attention to the game!"

The sorcerer rubbed his head and sat up in the sand. "No problem, princess . . ." he muttered.

Beelzebub cleared his throat as Belphie rolled the ball back under the net to him. "I think that's enough for now . . . Let's all chill out." He looked between the sorcerer and the butler and the Avatar of Lust as he spoke. "Who wants to swim?"

"Phew! Good game everyone!" Simeon piped up, stretching his arms over his head. "Let's cool off."

The teams dispersed, with a selection heading straight for the water and a group heading back towards where the towels had been abandoned. Barbatos followed the latter group and discarded the button-up, but he left the grey singlet on.

"He's driving me mad!" Asmodeus sulked, appearing behind him.

Barbatos folded the button-up neatly and placed it atop his towel. He sighed as he straightened up and turned to the Avatar of Lust.

"I must say, I rather enjoyed watching him get a ball to his face."

Asmodeus smirked at him, and raised an eyebrow. "Oh, you like—"

"Do not, Asmodeus."

Asmodeus only giggled in response and then looped his arm around Barbatos's. They walked across the sand together, heading for the shallows.

"I just don't understand why he's so hung up on you, and after all this time! I mean, hello, I'm right here!" he whined as they waded in.

The water was pleasantly cool as it rose up around their shins. They wandered deeper slowly, Asmodeus clinging to the butler's arm while he pouted and griped.

"I mean, I do get why he's attracted to you, darling. You're a solid ten and you're great in bed, but you've made it so clear to him that you're not interested and he's actually in a relationship with me! Me! It's not like we're exclusive, not by a long shot, but still! How am I supposed to feel about him getting all jealous about you rejecting him and flirting with Simeon when I'm here!"

Barbatos nodded his understanding.

"You want his attention on you."

"Exactly!" Asmodeus said. "It feels like he's going out of his way to be a jealous prick when he could just pay attention to me~"

The butler nodded again, stopping where the water was up to his chest.

"I, too, would appreciate if he paid more attention to you instead of me."

Asmodeus turned to him with a smirk, and released his arm. The Avatar of Lust stretched his own arms above his head and let himself sink a little deeper into the water, arching his back.

"I noticed you didn't deny that you're flirting with Simeon," Asmo teased.

"I was pointedly ignoring you."

"Mmhmmmmmmmm~" Asmodeus hummed, doubtful. "Did you know that he's walking towards us right now?"

"He is?" Barbatos said, his back straightening as he turned around.

Sure enough, the angel was wading out in their direction, a smile on his face. He met Barbatos's eyes and grinned, one arm going up to wave at the butler. Barbatos's felt his cheeks grow warm as he waved back, a smile of his own forming . . . before Solomon cut in front of Simeon and slung an arm around the angel's shoulder.

"Are you serious?!"Asmodeus hissed. "He hates the ocean! He never comes further in than up to his knees!"

Barbatos knew it to be true. Solomon's smile appeared forced, suggesting that he was not so comfortable in the situation he had created. They watched as Solomon angled Simeon away from them and start to guide him back towards the shallows. Simeon seemed to resist his pull, but to little avail. He awkwardly glanced back towards Barbatos and Asmodeus and smiled tightly at the sorcerer.

"That is it!" Asmodeus declared. "If he isn't going to pay attention to me, I will make him!"

To Barbatos's surprise, the demon beside him transformed, wings and horns sprouting around him. It took extra effort for him to launch himself out of the water, but with a strong kick and a few beats of his wings, he had lift-off. His beachwear dripped as he flew the short distance across to his lover, keeping low against the water. He pulled up at the last moment, legs out in front of him and parted as he transformed out of demon form, dropping daintily onto Solomon's back with a giggle that Barbatos knew was not as genuine as it may sound.

"Sollyyyyyyyy~" he sung, loud enough that Barbatos could hear him across the surf. "Why aren't you playing with meeeeee~?"

Asmodeus wrapped his legs firmly around the sorcerer and slipped his fingers between the unbuttoned front of his shirt. He had startled the pair enough that Solomon had released Simeon, and the angel had stepped away with a hand over his mouth. He looked both amused and concerned as Asmodeus tilted Solomon's face up and back to meet his gaze.

"Oh," Barbatos chuckled.

He watched as Solomon's back went rigid and his cheeks flushed as Asmodeus successfully charmed him.

The impish smile on the demon's face was quite satisfied as he dismounted from his perch on Solomon's back and stepped around in front of him, holding his gaze. Asmodeus drew his face close to the sorcerer's and said something more, but his voice was quiet and did not carry over to Barbatos. A moment later, Asmodeus began to lead him away, a perfectly manicured finger beneath the sorcerer's chin. Barbatos smirked knowingly. There were small coves on either side of this strip of private beach. There was no doubt that Asmodeus would lure him into one for a good time—if Solomon didn't break out of the charm first. The butler had to admit, it was easy to underestimate how strong Asmodeus truly was. There were not many who could successfully influence Solomon with their powers, and if the sorcerer were not distracted, his guard may have already been up.

Before he could find out whether or not Asmodeus would be successful in his attempt to charm the sorcerer all the way to the nearest cove, Barbatos's attention was drawn away by an approaching figure. He remembered quickly the cause for Asmodeus's outrage. His heart did something uncomfortable as he met Simeon's eyes again, and the angel smiled at him as he waded the rest of the way to the butler's side.

Notes:

Like I said, Asmo took matters into his own hands hehe. Thanks for reading! Let me know your thoughts.

Follow me on Twitter @SalsaVerde_NSFW (18+ only) and find my other socials in the carrd link in my Twitter bio. There is a very naughty AsmoBarb version of the previous chapter on my Patreon if anyone wants to check it out~

Chapter 11

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

"I'm glad I finally managed to catch up with you," Simeon laughed as he reached Barbatos.

A small wave passed them without cresting, and they both let the water lift them and set them back down. Barbatos smiled pleasantly as he answered.

"I did not realise you were trying to reach me, or I would not have let Asmodeus drag me away so fast."

"No no! This is fine, I wanted to get in the water anyway," Simeon said.

He had undone the top few buttons of his shirt. Barbatos let his eyes linger on the angel's exposed throat for a moment before meeting his gaze again.

"You must be overheating in that long-sleeved shirt after the volleyball match. I am surprised you kept it on to begin with."

Simeon rubbed the back of his neck.

"It was getting a bit stifling, yes. But if I do this—" The water was already up to their chests, but Simeon plunged himself under and then rose up again, tossing his wet hair back with a grin. "—then the water in the material will help keep me cool even if I go back to the beach." He looked down at the saturated material thoughtfully. "I think there is a trend in the Human Realm called a wet shirt competition. Maybe I could enter one like this!"

Barbatos blinked at him a few times as the words processed. It took a moment, since the way the angel's wet hair clung to his face and dripped down his skin was incredibly distracting.

"Simeon . . ." he said, covering his mouth with one hand and averting his gaze. "Do you know the premise of a wet shirt competition?"

His cheeks felt warm. He glanced at the other man, who had tilted his head to one side.

"Admittedly, I have no idea. Some young women who stopped at the Angel's Halo on their way back from the beach one day were talking about it. Oh dear, what is it?"

The sheepish grin across Simeon's face assured the butler that he already suspected he'd made a fool of himself. Barbatos cleared his throat and faced Simeon again, but did not lower his hand from in front of his face.

"I believe a wet t-shit contest is an exhibitionistic event in which participants, usually young women, wear lightly coloured shirts without undergarments, so that when their shirts become wet, they also become see-through, essentially exposing their breasts."

He spoke matter-of-factly, but had to avert his gaze again. The inexplicable urge to peer at the angel's chest and see if the fabric had become transparent was strong. He did not understand why the temptation was so persistent. Internally, he berated himself.

"O-oh! Is that so?" Simeon croaked. His face flushed. "I had no idea . . . Ha ha ha! Oh, I shouldn't laugh. I'm sorry if I've offended you by saying that. I should have found out what it meant first."

Simeon crossed his arms over his chest, clearly self-conscious now.

The demon chuckled. "That's quite alright. It was rather funny, albeit a little embarrassing."

Their eyes met and after a tense pause, they both began to laugh. Simeon hid his face in his hands to compose himself again.

"Anyway, I wanted to apologise to you for this morning. I didn't stop to think how it would sound to the others. I know that it put you in a very awkward position. I'm so sorry."

Simeon rubbed the back of his neck again. Barbatos glanced at his chest without meaning to. The fabric was not see-through, thanks to the dark hue of the dye, but it clung to the front of Simeon's torso like sin. He lifted his eyes quickly, before the angel could notice the transgression.

"That is quite alright, Simeon. There was no harm done," he said.

Simeon shifted uncomfortably. "Solomon seemed upset by the implication."

Barbatos had always prided himself on being a master of decorum, but he did not care to stop himself from rolling his eyes in that moment.

"Please do not concern yourself with Solomon's pettiness. Let him have his tantrum."

The demon made a dismissive hand gesture in the direction Asmodeus had lured the sorcerer away. Simeon offered a rueful smile.

"Even so, I'm sorry." He looked down at his wet shirt as another wave passed them and they both shifted up and then down again in the water. "I seem to have a knack for saying embarrassing things today, ha ha!"

Barbatos smiled gently and lowered his hand. "That is already two times today. Things tend to happen in threes."

Simeon laughed. "Then I hope you'll find it amusing when I embarrassing myself again soon."

Their banter was interrupted by a small angel. Luke had paddled out to them and came to a stop at Simeon's elbow where he had to tread to keep his head above the water.

"Simeon, can we go look at the rockpools?" he asked. "Lucifer said I wasn't allowed to go alone."

Simeon nodded in agreement.

"It's best not to go alone. We're in the Devildom and some of the creatures in the rockpools are dangerous. I'll come with you." He turned to the demon with a smile. "Will you join us?"

Barbatos considered the offer for a moment, but shook his head.

"Unfortunately, it is almost time for me to head back up to the house to prepare lunch. I think I had best lay in the sun and dry off."

To his surprise, Simeon looked crestfallen, but the expression disappeared quickly and was replaced by another smile.

"Another time, then."

Barbatos nodded.

"If you are exploring the rockpools, be mindful of the tide. Especially if you go past where the rest of us can see you. There are small caves around the bend into the cove. It is best not to venture into them, as they flood quite quickly when the tides change."

He gave the angels a serious look and they both nodded.

"We'll be careful. Won't we, Luke?"

"Yeah!"

He tried to nod his head and accidentally dunked himself for his trouble. Simeon and Barbatos both stifled a laugh as the younger angel sputtered.

They split off from each other, with Barbatos returning to the shore while Simeon waded along towards the rock pools, in the opposite direction to which Solomon and Asmodeus had gone. Luke doggy paddled alongside the older angel until they reached a shallow enough point for his feet to touch the sand. Barbatos did not register that he had not taken his eyes off the pair until Simeon turned to look at him. Their eyes met across the water and Simeon smiled brightly, raising a hand to wave before he turned his attention back to Luke. Barbatos's heart performed an uncomfortable stutter. He placed a hand over the damp material of his tank top.

This is becoming rather worrisome . . .

He snapped his attention forward and made a beeline up the sand to his towel.

Notes:

Thanks for reading! This was a little short, but I've got the next few chapters already written, so I hope to share them in reasonably quick succession as I tidy them up.

Find me on Twitter @SalsaVerde_NSFW.

Chapter 12

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Barbatos was not the only one who had returned from the water already—Leviathan and Satan were in the process of making themselves comfortable on their respective towels. Their upper torsos were bare and their hair was dripping. They had adjusted their towels to lay with their heads beneath the shade of a beach umbrella.

"Gentlemen," Barbatos greeted them.

"BARBATOSDIDYOUREALLYSLEEPWITHCHRISTOPHERPEURGEOT?!" Leviathan blurted, sitting bolt-upright and pointing an accusatory finger.

Satan scoffed and retrieved a book from a bag next to his towel.

"You just couldn't help yourself, could you, Levi?"

The Avatar of Envy was beet red and covered his face with his forearm.

"I'm sorry! But he's one of my idols, so I need to know if it's true!"

Barbatos smiled dangerously as he knelt on his own towel. He was not having it.

"Leviathan, I assure you; it was nothing like that."

"Then what did Simeon mean by what he said?!"

The otaku was considerably worked up. He gave the butler an intense stare from beneath his hair, but could not maintain eye contact in the face of Barbatos's icy smile. He hunched his shoulders and crossed his arms instead.

"Regardless of how you wish to interpret his words from this morning, it would seem that the truth is none of your business. I suggest you discontinue your line of question."

Satan grinned as he opened his book and found the page he was up to.

"If you disappear under suspicious circumstances, I'm not coming to help you, Levi."

"Hey! I wouldn't be a true TSL fan if I didn't follow all of the latest news about the author!"

"Barbatos, if you choose to murder him, please do so where I can't hear his screams. I'd like to read in peace."

"Of course you're ignoring me. I'm just a worthless otaku after all . . ."

With a resigned sigh, Satan turned another page.

"Do it quickly, Barbatos."

The butler shook his head, maintaining his smile.  

"I shall graciously allow Leviathan to keep his life for now. However, I challenge you to a duel." Barbatos reached into his own bag and retrieved a hand-held device. "I trust you are equipped?"

Leviathan's eyes lit up and he scrambled to retrieve his own device.

"You're on!"

Barbatos lay on his stomach, propped up on his elbows with the false sun across his back. They selected a duelling game and connected their devices remotely. They played several rounds, smashing buttons and verbally ribbing one another, much to Satan's annoyance. However, it amused the Avatar of Wrath enough that he let them be. After a few rounds, in all of which Barbatos thoroughly kicked Leviathan's ass, the Avatar of Envy changed tactics.

"Alright, new game! Let's try this road rage racer for something different. The aim is to collect as many special items across the map as you can to earn points, and then get to the finish line. But you can sabotage your opponent with road traps and dirty driving."

"I see. I have not played this one before. It sounds interesting," the butler said as his device synced up with Leviathan's. "Prepare to be pwned once more."

"LOLOLOL! It's so wrong to hear you of all demons use gamer slang like that."

"It is . . . uncanny," Satan agreed.

Barbatos simply laughed and soon he and Levi were racing and sabotaging each other through a pixel cityscape.

"How are you beating me at this one too?! It's not fair!!!"

Leviathan was starting to get especially worked up, clearly set on besting the butler. The Avatar of Envy was a seasoned gamer in every sense, and Barbatos suspected he had spent more hours gaming than the butler could ever hope to accumulate, despite being much older. And yet, once the butler understood the game, it was as if he had been playing his entire life. Naturally, he strove for perfection in everything he did, be it his service to the Young Master, baking, or in this case, throwing tyre traps at Levi's vehicle on a tiny hand-held screen as they raced to collect the loot scattered throughout the pixel cityscape of this game.

"DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT!" Levi yelled sitting upright as his car spun out. "Argh, if you get to the next loot box before me, I don't stand a chance!"

He corrected his vehicle and sped after Barbatos, gaining quickly as they closed in on what would be the final loot before the finish line. He attempted to ram the side of the butler's car, but Barbatos took evasive action and closed in on the loot ahead of Levi.

"NOOOOOO!" he wailed, kicking his feet so that sand sprayed towards the butler. "HOW?! HOW!!!"

"There is no honour in victory if you engage in foul play," Barbatos scolded, whacking the other demon across the legs.

"Honour be damned!" Levi started throwing items at the butler, pulling them from his bag with his tail as he slipped into demon form—a few pens, his designated beach headphones, a well-loved manga. Barbatos didn't flinch until a bottle of sunscreen came arcing towards him, and the trajectory would result in his device being knocked from his hand. He scrambled backwards, pushing himself up from his elbows into a sitting position. Levi gave up and threw the whole bag at him, and Barbatos deflected it easily as he scooted onto the sand to get out of range.

"Levi, quit being a sore loser," Satan chided, snapping his book closed. His eyes widened as he looked past Barbatos. "Hey, look out!"

Alas, the warning came too late. Barbatos collided with a pair of legs and promptly dropped his device in the sand as he attempted to catch the person tripping over him. A handful of seashells rained down around him and Barbatos end up flat on his back in the sand with Simeon on top of him.

"Oh! Barb, I'm so sorry . . ." Simeon said, shifting his weight to lift his chest away from the demon's.

Barbatos blinked up at the angel. He could feel his cheeks burning with Simeon's face low over his own. Chocolate locks of windswept hair were still drying around his face. Celestial blue eyes were wide above him. The butler forgot his words as he peered up at the angel's eyes, and his gaze swept down to lips that looked soft and full.

Simeon's cheeks were glowing. He stumbled for words as he attempted to right himself. That was when Barbatos became conscious of the placement of their bodies. Simeon had one hand on the demon's chest, the other braced in the sand beside his head. The angel's knees had buckled on either side of the butler's hips, leaving Simeon's bottom pressed over the front of Barbatos's swimming trunks. Their faces were close. The moment felt intimate, and his mind flashed back to waking with a warm hand on his waist that morning. Simeon's lips parted. Barbatos thought about how easily he could lean up to press his own mouth there. His heartbeat was accelerating. He raised a hand and cupped Simeon's cheek. Did Simeon lean into the touch, or was that Barbatos's imagination?

An ear-splitting whistle disrupted the moment. Simeon sat bolt upright with both hands over his ears.

"This is the PDA police!" Leviathan shouted. "Normie behaviour is being exhibited right in front of me. Cease and desist!"

The pair scrambled to disentangle their limbs and they both stood up.

"I'm really sorry about that," the angel said, brushing sand from the back of the demon's tank top. "I guess you were right about things happening in threes."

Straightening out his clothes, Barbatos chuckled. "I would argue that this was my fault."

"But then I would still have one more embarrassing thing to do today!"

"I see your point. In that case, allow me to assure you that it was very amusing."

Simeon grinned awkwardly and rubbed the back of his neck. The movement pulled the damp material of his shirt tightly over his chest and Barbatos trained his eyes back to the angel's face.

"You dropped some shells," he said quickly.

"Oh, yes. Luke found them where we were exploring." They both bent to collect the scattered seashells and the angel smiled at him. "I was just going to put these ones in my bag as keepsakes. I made Luke put most of them back though."

Barbatos nodded his understanding and watched Simeon shuffle over to his own beach towel. He took a deep drink from a water bottle while he was there and then towelled himself briefly. He hung the towel over one shoulder and then hitched his bag over the other. Barbatos realised he was staring and snapped his attention to where he'd dropped his device in the sand.

"I had better get back to Luke. I left him with Mammon and Beelzebub, but I promised I'd be right back. We're going to have a wander around the cove on the other side of the rockpools and caves."

"I see. You had best make Luke reapplies sunscreen," Barbatos said.

Simeon fished past his new collection of seashells for a moment to extract a small bottle. "That's the idea!"

"Ah, I see you were ahead of me there. Very good. I hope you will continue to enjoy what is left of the morning here. I shall return to the beach house now to prepare lunch."

They smiled at each other as Simeon stood up and padded past the demon, their shoulders brushing as he passed. The butler felt foolish for the way he could not banish his smile as he turned back to his own beach things. He noticed both Satan and Leviathan watching him, the former with a smirk and an arched brow, and the latter with bright envy glowing in his eyes. Barbatos ignored the way they both eyed him. He shook the sand out of his device and stowed it into his bag.

"It seems you have won, Leviathan," Barbatos conceded.

The butler drew his damp singlet up over his head and folded it up with his towel. He slipped the mint green button-up on in its place and fastened the buttons up to his throat.

"Lunch will be ready in an hour," he said. "Please let the others know so you can all return together."

The pair thanked him in unison and returned their attention to their respective pastimes. Barbatos faced the ocean and scanned the surf and sand, noting the group heading towards the cove. Lucifer and Diavolo had waded out to a sandbar and were sitting on the small island it made, with their backs to the shore. Solomon and Asmodeus had not re-emerged from the cove on the other side of the private beach, but they were surely enjoying their alone time. Barbatos suspected that one or both of them would complain of sand-rash later.

As he turned to leave, something in the sand caught the light and drew his attention down to where he and Simeon and fallen. A seashell was peeking out from beneath a layer of loose sand. Barbatos shook the grains from its surface as he collected it and straightened up again. It was an impressive seashell, almost the size of his fist. It was an off-white colour with a mottled pink and orange pattern with flecks of black and green. The body of the shell swirled to a gentle point, as if it had once been perfectly round and someone had pinched the top and pulled it to one side. He turned the shell over in his hand to check that no Devildom creature had claimed it as their home, but it was empty. The opening of the shell was chipped and cracked in places. Quite likely, a seagull had feasted on the shell's previous occupant. All that was left inside was the pearly surface which caught the light as he held it up.

This must be one of the shells Simeon and Luke found in the rockpools.

He tucked the shell into his own bag, treating it carefully so as not to cause more damage, though it would likely be able to withstand quite a jostling without breaking. Even so, as he made his way up to the beach house, he was mindful not to allow his bag to swing or bump against him. It would not do to return it to Simeon looking worse for wear.

Notes:

I'm having a lot of fun finding ways to incorporate the other characters without straying too far from the slow-build of romance between Simeon and Barbatos. And now Simeon believes that he has done three embarrassing things today . . . but he would be wrong. The author Fate has decided that the tumble in the sand was Barbatos's fault, but you'll have to wait a few more chapters to find out Simeon's third moment. I do love playing with the rule of threes hehehe.

Anyway, I've done a first draft up to Chapter 19ish at this point. I'm sticking pretty well to my story plan, but there have been a couple of unplanned chapters that just kinda happened naturally, and a few of them ending up longer than I initially thought and will therefore be split in half. In other words, we will end up with more than my 30-chapter estimate.

Enough babbling from me. Thank you for reading and please feel free to comment! The comments give me so much joy xxx

Chapter 13

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Barbatos took his time preparing sushi rolls for lunch, seasoning the rice perfectly before he layered on other fillings. He made three types: fresh devil salmon, grilled vampire with a teriyaki glaze, and crispy salt and pepper bufo toad. Slivers of cucumber and carrot were added for a refreshing crunch, and he had acquired some locally grown royal red avocados from the nearby market. They were still a relatively new phenomenon in the Devildom, after an avocado tree from the Human Realm was planted along the Devil's Coast to see how it would fare. When it was finally mature enough to bear fruit, the genes of the plant had mutated enough from the elements of the Devildom that the skin was a dark blackish red when ripe, and the insides were a strikingly bright shade. As Lord Diavolo had created the false sun that allowed the new species to thrive in this region, the local growers had named it with their prince in mind.

Barbatos cut thin wedges of red avocado and added them to the sushi fillings. He busied himself rolling them up carefully.

His mind wandered while his hands were at work. The thought of Simeon on top of him as they fell to the sand replayed in his mind. His heart raced each time, as he recalled looking up into celestial blue eyes and thought about pushing back the angel's hair. It was foolish to think of how easily he could have met the other man's lips had Leviathan not interrupted the moment with his noise.

I should not allow myself to think such things of my friend, he scolded himself.

The thought had only come to preoccupy him thanks to Solomon's accusations the previous day. He regarded himself with disappointment by how easily the concept had taken root in his mind. It was profoundly improper of him to think of the sweet angel in that way. But he felt lonely when he saw what Lord Diavolo and Lucifer had, and what Solomon and Asmodeus shared. He was filled with longing when he remembered the good years of his relationship with Solomon.

Thoughts of how it might feel to kiss Simeon simply would not have occurred to me had it not been for Solomon putting the idea in my head.

He repeated that thought as if doing so would make it true. As if it was not already true.

I suppose I did feel a certain way when Simeon offered to help me in the kitchen. And when we shared a seat during lunch yesterday . . . 

He recalled Simeon's body heat, the way they were pressed against each other from hip to heel while they ate, the pretty blue depths of the angel's eyes, and how natural it felt to wipe mayonnaise from his face. His cheeks flushed. He began slicing the sushi rolls into rounds and organising them on plates. His heart was causing that strangely familiar sensation again. He set down his knife and touched the place on his waist where Simeon's hand had been resting when he awoke this morning with Luke snuggled between them.

The recollections were disrupted by the opening of the kitchen door. Barbatos stepped back from the benchtop and bowed in greeting as the Young Lord stepped into the room, with Lucifer at his heel.

"Lunch is almost ready," he said, indicating to the sushi. "I trust the others are all on their way."

Lord Diavolo nodded. "We came up ahead of them but they'll be along soon."

The prince leaned back against the countertop, eyeing his butler. Barbatos tilted his head.

"What troubles you, Young Master?"

Lucifer leaned against the opposite benchtop.

"We have noticed that things between you and Solomon have been . . . tense."

"And not in a good way," Lord Diavolo added.

He looked cross, his brow heavily furrowed as he fixed his butler with a serious expression. Barbatos gave a polite sigh in resignation and nodded his head.

"I apologise if that has made the morning unpleasant," Barbatos said. "Solomon has made several advances on me since he arrived yesterday, but I have rejected him in no uncertain terms, to his disappointment. In addition, he seems to be under the impression that I fancy Simeon, and has been displaying much jealousy as a result."

The Young Lord's frown deepened.

"It's been three centuries since things between you ended! He's still pining for you after all this time?"

Barbatos resisted the urge to scoff at the concept of Solomon pining. The term seemed far too romantic compared to the truth of the matter. The prince crossed his arms over his chest.

"Barb, if he's making you uncomfortable, we can make him back off."

Lucifer nodded once and jutted his chin forward. He was a picture of intimidation.

"I am sure he would find us quite persuasive," he intoned.

The pair leaned forward in anticipation, but Barbatos was quick to shake his head. 

"I am appreciative of the offer, truly; however, that will not be necessary. I assure you, Young Master, I am quite capable of handling Solomon myself."

His master's expression changed from cross to concerned.

"Barbatos, I have no doubt that you can handle yourself, but Solomon does have a pact with you." He seemed to hesitate before he went on. "I know that you and Solomon have an agreement about your pact usage, but even so . . . Please, if he continues to bother you, let us know."

The butler bowed his head, conceding.

"I understand, My Lord. I shall inform you if I require assistance with Solomon."

The Young Master seemed to pout for a moment before clearing his throat. Then his eyes lit up and a smirk tugged his lips. Barbatos raised an eyebrow, noting the change in the prince's body language.

"Having said all that, I wanted to congratulate you on your budding relationship with Simeon!"

The Young Lord grinned widely and gave the butler a congratulatory smack on the back, which, under normal circumstances, Barbatos would have been braced for. However, his master's words had caught him off-guard and the impact of the prince's hand jolted him forward.

"L-Lord Diavolo!" he coughed into his fist as he straightened his back. "I assure you, Simeon did not intend to imply that anything improper had occurred between us."

"Now, now, Barb, there's no need to be embarrassed by it," Diavolo said. He swung an arm around Barbatos's shoulders and then captured Lucifer with the other arm, pulling them both close. "I think it's absolutely marvellous that the two of you have hit it off like this all of a sudden! Don't you agree, Lucifer?"

The Avatar of Pride sniggered at his lover's antics and eyed the butler with a smirk.

"Indeed, it's good to see you putting yourself out there. And I've often thought it would do Simeon well to meet somebody he could share romantic intimacy with," Lucifer said.

The corners of his mouth remained quirked up, but his brow furrowed. Barbatos recalled the times he had spotted the angel watching the other demon with such longing that it made the butler's heart ache to witness.

I wonder if perhaps Lucifer is aware of Simeon's feelings for him.

Barbatos pushed that question side and shook his head sternly.

"Once more, I must insist that you are both mistaken," Barbatos said. "Allow me to explain. Last night, Luke had a nightmare and found me painting in the entrance hall. Simeon joined us while I was soothing him. Once Luke fell asleep, we decided to put him in Simeon's bed, but he would not let go of me. We did not wish to wake him since he had settled, so I slept in Simeon's bed with both of them."

He could feel a blush burning across his cheeks as he provided the context. An undertone of guilt welled within him, as if he had betrayed Luke by revealing why he had truly slept in Simeon's bed. Lord Diavolo practically had stars in his eyes and beamed at his butler.

"Barbatos . . . that's . . . THAT'S SO SWEET!!!" the prince shouted, sandwiching his own face between his palms as he stepped back.

Lucifer cleared his throat.

"That is quite wholesome . . . However, Barbatos, that does not diminish the fact that you and Simeon have been flirting."

The Young Master nodded firmly, remembering the point of the conversation.

"That's right!"

The butler folded his hands neatly behind him and fixed the pair with a tight smile.

"I have not an inkling what you are both referring to. There is nothing going on between myself and Simeon."

Lord Diavolo chuckled and nudged the butler with his elbow. It was suddenly taking considerable effort for Barbatos not to scowl at his master.

"There's little use denying it, Barb. Come now! Don't you think it would be a wonderful development for the exchange program? A demon and an angel falling in love as the realms continue to work together to achieve harmony!"

Footsteps sounded as others entered the casual dining room, and Barbatos gently hushed the prince.

"My Lord, please . . ."

Lucifer sighed and rested a hand on the prince's shoulder. He raised an eyebrow at Barbatos with a consolatory expression.

"I think that's enough, my love. We've gotten our dear friend quite flustered now, and it seems he hasn't come to terms with his feelings just yet, or recognised that Simeon returns them."

Barbatos allowed himself to scowl at Lucifer, but the Avatar of Pride was not phased.

"However, Barbatos, you are an observant demon, and you did not strike me as the type to be so obtuse about your own feelings."

The butler bristled at both Lucifer's words and his scathing tone, but Lord Diavolo relented upon his lover's suggestion.

"We'll get out of your hair, Barb," the Young Master said, stepping back towards the kitchen door. "I'm looking forward to lunch!"

Lucifer smirked at Barbatos a moment longer before he followed, leaving the butler frowning at the platters of sushi.

It was becoming tiring to assert that he was not flirting with Simeon, though he was relieved that it was not coming from Solomon this time. Clearly, the sorcerer had already influenced Asmodeus into thinking there was a spark between Barbatos and Simeon. Had his influence truly reached even the Young Lord and Lucifer? Perhaps it was due to the way they had sat so close together at lunch yesterday. Or perhaps they had seen the way Simeon fell on top of him at the beach that morning.

His cheeks flushed at those thoughts and once again the concept of pushing the angel's hair back and leaning up to kiss him crossed his mind. Barbatos brought his fingers to his lips and his eyes closed for a moment. His heart sped up. Simeon's lips looked so soft. He wanted to taste them. He imagined closing the gap between them when he was on his back in the sand. A shaky breath left him at the thought of Simeon's tongue caressing his own, warm and gentle. He opened his eyes and stared at the sushi again, his mind suddenly blank.

. . . Oh. 

 

Notes:

It has finally dawned on him~

Thank you for reading! I'm already drafting Chapter 21, so there will be more soon.

Find me on my socials (Twitter, Tumblr, Patreon, etc) at salsaverde-nsfw.carrd.co

Chapter 14

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The midday sun had made quite the impact on the other guests, particularly the group who had ventured to the cove beyond the rockpools and caves. Their cheeks and noses and ears were rosy, and sweat had plastered hair around their faces. Meanwhile, Solomon was pouting next to a rather smug Asmodeus. The exposed skin of the sorcerer's neck was littered with hickeys and Asmo's hair was artfully dishevelled. The Avatar of Lust met the butler's eyes and winked while Solomon pouted at his side, pointedly not acknowledging Barbatos.

"Please drink plenty of water," Barbatos instructed the group.

He had prepared several pitchers of water infused with a medley of refreshing fruits: peach and ginger, lemon and mint, cucumber and basil. The group rehydrated and devoured the platters of sushi Barbatos had prepared for lunch. The butler sat at Diavolo's side, as he had that morning, and ignored the playful nudge from his master. He quietly observed the others as they enjoyed the meal. The morning at the beach had certainly taken their energy, but the food and proper hydration was perking them all up again.

All except Simeon.

Barbatos couldn't help but frown as he watched the angel from across the room. He sipped at a glass of water, but appeared particularly affected by the heat—more so than the others. Sweat had plastered his hair around his face and against the back of his neck, and although he had loosened the top few buttons, his shirt was still fastened at the wrists. The sea water had dried from the material, and patches of sweat had developed under his arms and along his back and chest. The fabric clung to him uncomfortably.

Simeon finished his glass of water and looked to the pitchers within arm's reach, but they were already empty. He seemed to slump as he fiddled with the glass, as if keeping his hands busy. There was a round of sushi on his plate, which he stared at, but did not eat.

It appears Simeon is suffering from a touch of heatstroke. I would not have expected him to succumb to it so easily.

Barbatos collected the pitcher of water nearest to himself—the only one that was not yet empty—and stood. Solomon's eyes shifted to him as the butler manoeuvred between the couches to walk around the group. For a moment, Barbatos considered making a point of topping up everybody's glass, but all except for Simeon's were full.

Solomon will simply have to accept that I am providing a service as a butler, he decided.

He placed a hand on Simeon's shoulder to let the man know he was there. The angel gave a small start in surprise before he smiled weakly up at Barbatos.

"Allow me to refill your glass," Barbatos said, dropping his voice below the ambient chatter so that only Simeon would hear.

He did not give the angel a chance to react. He leaned past him, careful not to spill a single drop as he poured the water into Simeon's glass. The angel held the vessel in shaky hands, which made Barbatos frown.

He is indeed feeling unwell . . .

"Ah, thank you . . ." Simeon managed.

His voice was filled with a quiet melancholy and his eyes became downcast. Barbatos disliked the heavy feeling in his chest caused by these observations. Straightening his posture, he gave the angel's shoulder a gentle squeeze. He collected the empty water pitchers and returned to the kitchen to refill them. His heart felt uneasy and he took a moment to lean against the cupboard door before he returned to the others.

"The sun is too intense to go back down to the beach today," Lucifer said, addressing the room. "Let's enjoy ourselves around the beach house this afternoon."

Barbatos set the refilled pitchers on the table between the couches, ensuring one was set down close to Simeon, who had already finished another glass.

"If that is the case, I shall wash the beach towels and bathing suits. Please leave them in the laundry room, in the wash basket." 

The group began to disperse after a final drink and slice of sushi. Asmodeus dragged Solomon off with a pleased little hum. It did not escape the butler's notice that the sorcerer's gait seemed stiff.

"Luke, do you want to nap?" Beelzebub asked, watching the young angel yawn widely.

"I'm not a little kid! I don't need nap time," he insisted with indignation.

"Nap time is not just for little kids," Belphegor drawled as he slunk off the couch. "I want to nap in a hammock under a tree."

The Avatar of Sloth dragged himself away, leaving Beelzebub to coax Luke along. Simeon stayed put and finally ate the slice of sushi that had been sitting on his plate, while Barbatos cleared away the rest of the dishes. The butler deposited the used plates and abandoned glasses next to the sink and then found a clean cloth and ran it under cold water. He fished an ice pack out of the freezer and wrapped it in a fresh tea towel before heading back into the casual dining area. The angel was still sitting in the armchair, alone now that Luke had disappeared with the twins. Barbatos took a moment to observe Simeon. He looked exhausted and lost in thought. His face was turned towards the window that overlooked the beach. Light footsteps carried the butler to the couch the twins had vacated. He perched against the armrest closest to Simeon.

"Are you alright?" he asked gently.

As he expected, Simeon was startled by his presence. Barbatos smiled apologetically.

"I— I'm okay, thank you. I think I just got too warm out in the sun."

Barbatos nodded his understanding.

"This may help," he said, raising the damp cloth. "May I?"

The angel blinked in confusion for a moment before he nodded and shifted in the armchair to be closer to Barbatos. The butler adjusted his own position, tucking his knees beneath him on the couch as he twisted to lean across the armrests. Slowly, he carded his fingers through Simeon's hair, pushing the locks back from the angel's face and holding them out of the way. Simeon closed his eyes as the demon dragged the cloth along his face, washing away the sticky residue of saltwater and sweat. Barbatos glided the cloth over the shell of each of the angel's ears and slowly moved the fabric over his neck. He went as low down as Simeon's collarbones, though the undone buttons filled him with the urge to venture further down. Instead, he stretched to cup the back of Simeon's neck with the damp cloth, leaning closer as he cleaned the skin.

Simeon chose that moment to open his eyes and the celestial blue drew Barbatos's gaze. He had not realised how close their faces were and drew a gentle intake of breath. The angel's cheeks were still rosy, though Barbatos was no longer sure if it was from the morning on the beach or from their present proximity. His own cheeks grew warm. His eyes flicked down to the other man's lips.

"Thank you," Simeon said quietly.

Barbatos remembered himself and calmly sat back. He folded the damp cloth and set it down on the coffee table. His mouth felt dry. His tongue darted out to wet his lips.

"It was no trouble. Here." He offered the ice pack wrapped in a towel. "Put this on the back of your neck. It will help you cool down some more."

Simeon smiled as he accepted the ice pack. It was a small expression, but it touched his eyes, and that coaxed a smile to Barbatos's lips too. He dropped his gaze quickly, taking Simeon's now-empty plate and refilling his glass as he stood.

"Please drink more water," he instructed. "I shall be washing up in the kitchen if you are in need of anything. Once I have finished cleaning in there, I shall get the laundry underway. Do not forget to add your towels and swimmers to the basket."

"Thanks, Barb. Um . . . would you mind if I added a couple of shirts to the wash? I didn't consider how fast I'd go through them since I've been wearing them to the beach."

"Of course, please go ahead and do that when you are ready."

"Thank you. I'll do that once I've had a bit more water, then I might take a nap. I'm beat . . . But I'm feeling much better thanks to you."

The angel beamed at him. The smile reached his eyes again. Barbatos wished it would not be such a fleeting expression. He retreated to the kitchen, knowing that as the door closed behind him, Simeon's eyes would dim again.

Notes:

Thank you for reading! I hope you're enjoying the story so far. I am super keen to share the next chapter where we will get back to some one-on-on Simeon and Barbatos interactions. In the meantime, drop me a comment—they honestly give me life.

Check out my Carrd for links to my Twitter, Tumblr and P@treon: salsaverde-nsfw.carrd.co

Chapter 15

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Simeon had not been the only guest to add some extra items to the laundry, but he was the only one who had the courtesy to ask first. Thankfully, the beach house was designed to hold a large group. What good would it be to the Young Master if he could not bring his friends away with him? And so, the beach towels and swimming trunks, along with an assortment of shirts, socks, and underwear had wound up washed.

That was why the beach house was equipped with two washing machines.

That also meant that Barbatos had two large baskets worth of laundry to hang outside. In demon form, he stacked the full baskets one atop the other and exited the laundry room onto the verandah, using his tail to open and close the door.

"Barb, let me take one of those!" a gentle voice urged.

He could not see Simeon until the angel kindly took the topmost basket.

"There is no need to trouble yourself, Simeon," Barbatos insisted. "You should be resting after this morning."

But Simeon had already taken several long strides ahead of him with the stolen laundry basket. He grinned over his shoulder as he descended the steps to the grassy yard and headed towards the clotheslines. Barbatos caught up to him quickly as they crossed the grass.

"It's no trouble. I washed up and had a nap after lunch and I'm feeling much better for it," Simeon assured, setting the basket down. "Thank you, again, for taking care of me earlier."

The angel offered a shy smile as Barbatos set down the second basket and they both crouched to grab items to hang. The butler could not help but think of the pleasant closeness of wiping the angel's face with a wet cloth. His eyes were so pretty, so blue. He forced himself to keep his gaze on the task at hand as he responded, cheeks flushing.

"You needn't thank me for that."

He fetched a bucket of pegs that was attached to one of the clothesline poles and set it down between their baskets.

"If you say so," Simeon chuckled. "Still, I feel better when I'm helping like this, so please let me."

Barbatos gave him a small smile and allowed himself to assess Simeon properly. He did look better than he had after lunch, and his disposition seemed lighter.

"Very well," he conceded. "I suppose this will not take so long with both of us."

They worked alongside one another in silence for a short while. The afternoon sun was sharp, and Barbatos was confident that the towels and other items would be dry before dinnertime. The air was sweet with the sweat of the earth and the grass beneath their feet, and a soft breeze brought along the cooler ocean air.

"What are tonight's dinner plans?" Simeon asked as he hung up one of his own shirts.

"This evening, the Young Master has insisted on a backyard barbeque. I made some preparations after the lunch clean-up, but he's quite adamant that I must not be the one to cook tonight."

The thought of letting his master take on the task of cooking sat poorly with the butler, but Lord Diavolo had ordered him to allow others to do some of the work during this holiday.

"Oh?" Simeon sounded amused. "Does that mean that Diavolo is cooking tonight?"

A weary sigh escaped the butler and his shoulders slumped. He bent to collect a few more towels, slinging them over his forearm as he grabbed a handful of pegs without counting.

"He expressed excitement at the idea of doing it himself. I agreed to allow him to man the barbeque on the proviso that he allows Lucifer to work with him. As much as I would prefer to do it myself, I trust that they will manage the task just fine."

Simeon's laugh was like music.

"As long as Solomon isn't enlisted to help and Beelzebub doesn't eat everything before the rest of us can fill our plates, I'm sure it will be fine."

Barbatos could not supress a shudder at the thought of Solomon going anywhere near the food during preparation.

"Perhaps I will ask Beelzebub to keep Solomon occupied while dinner is being made. Kill two birds with one stone."

The angel chuckled once more, shifting back towards the baskets for more items to hang. They were nearly done, working fast together. Barbatos shook out the final towel that had been draped over his wrist and clipped one corner into place on the clothesline, only to realise that he did not have a second peg for the other corner.

"Simeon, would you peg me, please?" he asked, turning his head to speak over his shoulder.

Simeon's eyes widened with surprise and a deep blush rose to his face. He coughed awkwardly into his fist and pressed his lips together, averting his gaze. A moment later, Barbatos registered his . . . unfortunate choice of words.

"Oh! I meant—"

Cutting himself off, he whipped his face forward again, hanging his head as humiliation washed over him. His forehead pressed against the damp towel as he held it in place, still only clipped at one corner. An undignified sound of strangled laughter escaped Simeon somewhere behind him.

"Hehehe! I'm so sorry, Barb. I shouldn't laugh, but . . . Pfft hahaha!"

The demon's face must have been red. He groaned quietly to himself, but the good-natured tone of the angel's laughter was fast relieving the initial sense of shame. After a moment, he even found himself smiling far too widely to be considered proper. His shoulders shook as he began to chuckle, joining Simeon in making light of the embarrassing phrasing.

"I ran out of pegs," he managed between peals of laughter. "Could you please pass me a peg."

"Of course, of course," Simeon said, stifling his amusement.

Barbatos heard him fish out an extra peg and step towards him. He attempted to tame the smile across his face before he turned his head over his shoulder to thank the angel, only to come face-to-face with him. Simeon had one hand raised, the mouth of the peg squeezed open.

"Here, hold the corner in place," he said.

Barbatos turned back to the towel and adjusted his grip on the loose corner, pulling it tight over the line. His lips parted in a small gasp, which he prayed the angel had not heard, when Simeon's chest pressed against his back. Simeon reached past him carefully to fasten the towel in place. The heel of his hand brushed over Barbatos's knuckles. Barbatos heard the angel's breath catch in his throat, by his ear. They lowered their hands carefully and Barbatos turned to face Simeon. The angel's eyes widened as if just realising their proximity.

The demon's heart was pounding. He felt like he could drown peacefully in those eyes as he held Simeon's gaze. Simeon offered another shy smile.

"Are you that polite when you actually mean to proposition someone?"

A deep laugh bubbled up from the butler's chest. He let the smile spread his lips again. It left an ache in his cheeks and he was fleetingly aware that he must look foolish.

"I do not believe I have ever requested that someone please peg me before," he admitted.

He felt his cheeks burn for having said something so crass yet again.

And right to an angel's face, no less, he scolded himself.

Yet he could not stop smiling. Not when Simeon giggled so sweetly, tilting his head to one side. Not when he watched the angel's tongue dart out to wet his lips. Not when he felt himself do the same. The idea of kissing Simeon suddenly overshadowed every other thought in his head. His expression softened into a gentle smile as he considered the man before him.

Does he wish to kiss me too? His body language seems to suggest that it is so . . .

He glanced down and let his eyes linger on the angel's lips for a moment before sweeping his gaze up once more. Simeon was blushing, smiling shyly, but he did not move to step back. Their chests were almost pressed together. Barbatos could feel the gentle warmth radiating through the angel's shirt to him. He swallowed gently. He wanted to lean in and he was quite certain that Simeon would not pull away. Was that a foolish thing to assume? Could a demon kiss an angel like this?

Simeon's glanced down, and Barbatos was pleased to note that he was looking at his lips too. Another sign. When Simeon met his eyes again, Barbatos tilted his head just slightly, blinking slowly, as if to ask for permission. Surely he did not imagine the subtle nod he received in return. He inched forward, drawing a shaky breath. Simeon swallowed hard, and the demon paused, waiting to see if the angel would pull away. And in that moment of hesitation, he heard the angel release a shuddering breath. Simeon closed his eyes and leaned in.

A powerful gust of wind suddenly assaulted them, causing the towel they had just pegged to the line to whip violently between them. They both stepped back from one another with a start, eyes wide as the wild current billowed around them and then settled.

"What . . . ?" Simeon seemed dumbfounded by the freakish gust of wind. "That was odd, wasn't it?"

"Indeed," Barbatos intoned, heeding the angry prickling along the back of his neck. "That was quite unusual."

Simeon laughed nervously and quickly busied himself with hanging the last swimming trunks in the basket he'd carried down. His head remained bowed and the set of his shoulders was tense. Barbatos felt his heart plunge into his stomach, noting that the angel would not meet his gaze.

Perhaps I misread the cues . . . Even so, that wind was unnatural.

Turning his back to the clothesline, he peered up towards the beach house. The window from the casual dining area overlooked the clotheslines and the ocean behind them. Framed by the windowsill, the Young Lord and Lucifer quickly averted their gaze. They appeared to be seated across from one another in armchairs up against the window. Barbatos cocked an eyebrow at them. Movement drew his attention to the window of the living room further along, and Barbatos could not prevent the scowl that crossed his features. Solomon leaned against the window frame with his arms crossed over his chest, pointedly avoiding the butler's eye.

Meddlesome sorcerer!

Anger rushed through his veins. He had hoped not to have his suspicion proven right, but he needed little more evidence than spotting Solomon watching from a window to know that the gust of wind that had ruined the moment had been conjured with magic.

Asmodeus appeared behind Solomon at the window, a rolled-up newspaper in hand. He struck the sorcerer over the head with enough force to bend the makeshift weapon, leaving Solomon to glare at him while rubbing his head. Asmodeus gestured angrily and looked as if he were shouting as Solomon shouldered past him and stalked away. Asmodeus glowered after him and made an obscene hand gesture before turning towards the window once more. The anger dropped from his flawless face when he met Barbatos's eyes. The butler saw his shoulders slump. There was an apologetic expression across the other demon's face.

Barbatos shook his head and turned back to the laundry. He was furious. But why? Solomon had done something childish and bothersome, but no harm had truly occurred. Barbatos felt his own reaction to be disproportionate.

"I'm going to head in again," Simeon said.

His voice pulled the butler from his disgruntled thoughts.

"Alright. I shall see you inside."

Simeon did not meet his gaze. He grabbed the empty laundry basket and began his trudge back to the beach house. A pang of guilt flooded the butler's stomach.

I ought to have said something to dispel his embarrassment, he realised as he watched the angel's retreating form. We really were going to kiss . . . weren't we?

He placed his fingertips against his lips. The moment replayed in his mind. Simeon's mouth looked delightfully soft. But Barbatos had hesitated. He shook his head again and quelled the disproportionate rage in his heart.

Perhaps it is for the best that it did not come to pass.

With a heavy sigh, he hung the final towel and made his way back inside.

Notes:

You know you've taken things too far when Asmodeus bonks you with a rolled-up newspaper. But you didn't think I was actually going to let them kiss already, did you? 😘 To make up for teasing you, I'll be putting a little SimBarb doodle on Twitter, so go check it out @SalsaVerde_NSFW.

Thank you for reading! I always love reading your comments, so feel free to leave one.

Chapter 16

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

"I cannot believe you have done this," Barbatos sighed.

"We had an agreement," Diavolo said, mustering authority he normally would not use on his usually compliant butler. "This is your time off as well."

The barbeque had been lit and the Young Master had donned an apron with 'Kiss the chef' written across the front. Lucifer had resigned himself to wearing a matching apron upon the prince's insistence. Apparently, Lord Diavolo had acquired these aprons from Akuzon and was most pleased with his purchase. Lucifer had seemed less begrudging of his predicament after Diavolo looked him up and down, grabbed the Avatar of Pride by the hips and dragged him in for a passionate kiss. While they were both distracted by each other's lips, Barbatos had taken the opportunity to wipe down the barbeque hotplates and was about to adjust the gas knobs for the optimal heat when his master had realised that he was 'working'.

And so, Barbatos was being forcibly removed from the outdoor cooking area with a set of barbeque tongs poking his back in warning.

"Surely I can simply stand nearby in case you are in need of assistance."

"That's Lucifer's job today."

"What if I simply—"

"No!" Diavolo commanded, though the butler could hear the laugh behind the word. "Go inside an relax! Or go find Simeon and pick up where you left off earlier."

Barbatos dug his heels into the ground at once, ignoring the sharp prod of the tongs behind his shoulder blades. His cheeks were aflame. He rounded on the prince with his hands on his hips.

"So, you were watching us," he deadpanned.

Diavolo grinned and boomed a laugh, then held the tongs threateningly up to Barbatos's face.

"Ah, so you're trying to change the subject now, is that it?" The larger demon allowed a devilish grin to spread across his face and kept his tone affectionately teasing. "I assure you, Barbatos, we didn't intend to spy. Lucifer and I were just sitting by the window, enjoying a cup of tea together. It's not our fault you and Simeon decided to put on a show."

The prince wiggled a suggestive eyebrow and Barbatos folded his arms across his chest.

"There was no show," he said, averting his gaze to the floor. "Just a misunderstanding."

Diavolo heaved a sigh and cross his arms over his chest. The prince seemed genuinely disappointed as he spoke.

"If Solomon hadn't interfered—"

"Well he did," Barbatos snapped, piercing his master with a glare.

Diavolo appeared taken aback by the sharp words and the scathing look. They stood unmoving, as if the world had paused for a long moment. Then, remembering himself, Barbatos placed a hand over his mouth and bowed his head.

"My lord, forgive me . . ."

The prince lowered the barbeque tongs with a sigh.

"No, it's alright. I'm sorry for teasing. I'm just . . . well, I suppose I'm angry on your behalf," he admitted. "You have been loyal to me since the day you became my butler, and you have served me without fault. I think of you as a dear friend, Barbatos. I'm quite sure you already know that. And I want my dear friend to be happy."

"Regardless, I will not permit myself to speak to you like that, Young Master," Barbatos insisted, ignoring the shame that burned across his face.

Diavolo looked troubled by his butler's closed-off body language. Then he chuckled.

"I shall graciously allow bygones to be bygones," he said. He raised the tongs again. "Now, go inside and stay away from the barbeque. That's an order."

The butler sighed in defeat and performed a small bow. "Yes, My Lord."

Barbatos stepped indoors and paused inside the living room. The outdoor cooking and dining area was situated on the west end of the house, where the verandah that encircled the dwelling opened up with an assortment of outdoor furniture. A set of outdoor couches and coffee tables gave way to a pair of round tables with chairs organised around them. The barbeque itself looked out towards the ocean for a scenic cooking experience. When the sun would set, guests could enjoy the orange and darkening sky over their meal and drinks. They kept the glass sliding doors that led into the living room closed to keep the flies out.

From inside, Barbatos turned to watch as his Young Master bounded back to Lucifer's side with all the boisterous energy of an oversized puppy. The Avatar of Pride gave him a soft look and cupped his cheek. Barbatos could see the blush that crept upon Lucifer's face. Their lips met. Diavolo deepened it, setting the tongs down so that he could grab Lucifer's face and tilt his head. Lucifer's arms draped over the larger demon's shoulders as their mouths moved. It was rare to see Lucifer reciprocate public displays of affection so openly. But when the two were alone, or among family and friends only, removed from the formal context of their work, even Lucifer allowed himself the pleasure of openly embracing and kissing his lover.

Barbatos looked away. His heart lurched uncomfortably.

How would the moment have played out if he had kissed Simeon that afternoon? Would it have been soft or searing? He wanted to know what the angel's lips felt like against his own. But he could not help but think that it was for the best that Solomon had disrupted their moment. After all, Barbatos was a demon, and a busy one at that.

It is not that I feel a demon and an angel could not be together. It would be difficult, but by the same token, it would be a landmark achievement in Lord Diavolo's efforts to unite the realms. For either demons or angels to forge romantic relationships with humans seems the obvious first step, and in that sense, the plan is going remarkably well. However, the rift between demons and angels is far greater. Perhaps, Simeon and I could forge that path together.

He blinked out of his thoughts and his back went rigid.

What am I thinking? It is not my place to assume that Simeon would want that. But this afternoon, did we not come so close to kissing? What would it have meant, if our lips had met? No, enough.

He forced himself to move and soon found himself standing in the kitchen. It felt oddly quiet and empty, especially knowing that the evening meal was being prepared outside without his involvement. He had already brought in and folded the towels and bathing suits and other items he had hung on the clothesline with Simeon that afternoon; it had all dried expediently beneath the false sun. His hands were idle and he disliked it with a passion.

As if fate had sensed his dismay, the kitchen door opened behind him.

"Barbatos!" Luke greeted, stepping through the doorway. "I'm glad I found you here."

He felt himself relax in the little angel's presence. A smile tugged his lips, but it faltered along with his heart when Simeon stepped into the room behind look. The older angel froze like a deer caught in headlights, his cheeks darkening with a blush. Barbatos's words were stuck in his throat. What could he say after their near kiss this afternoon? Surely nothing in front of Luke, but the young angel was oblivious to the awkward tension between them.

"I want to make dessert for everyone," Luke beamed. "I've been practicing making cheesecake bites instead of whole cheesecakes while we've been running the Angel's Halo in the Human Realm. Is it okay if we use the kitchen to make them for tonight?"

Luke's eyes were bright and hopeful. Barbatos focused on his smiling face and cleared his throat.

"Of course, Luke," he nodded. "Tell me what items you need and I shall retrieve them for you."

He busied himself with the task of helping Luke set up for his cheesecake bite endeavours and tried his best to ignore the hammering of his heart against his ribs. Simeon lingered awkwardly near the door, as if ready to flee. Sighing quietly, Barbatos once again regretted not having said something to dispel the embarrassment after the almost kiss. He chanced a look at the angel as he and Luke fished ingredients from the refrigerator. His heart skipped a beat when he realised Simeon had been watching him. The angel looked away quickly, his cheeks darkening further. He looked dreadfully uncomfortable, toying with the buttons at the cuffs of his shirt.

"Simeon, are you okay?"

Luke's question caught both of their attention. Simeon blinked a couple of times before forcing a smile to his features.

"Yes, yes! I'm fine. Sorry, I must still be a little worn out from this morning at the beach."

Barbatos detested the guilt that crossed the older angel's face. He had to do something to ease this tension between them without raising Luke's suspicions. He cleared his throat and schooled his features into his usual pleasant smile.

"Perhaps I could make us all a cup of tea," he suggested, watching Simeon's reaction.

"Oh, yes please!" Luke smiled.

Simeon seemed to hesitate. Barbatos offered a small smile. He watched the angel's shoulders relax minutely.

"That sounds nice," he said quietly.

Barbatos felt his chest flood with relief and promptly began to prepare the tea. He selected a stronger blend, which would serve to regenerate them prior to the evening meal.

"Barbatos, do you want to help make the cheesecake bites?" Luke asked, once the butler set down a cup of tea in front of him.

The small angel was already measuring out the ingredients he would need. Barbatos bit his lip, offering a cup to Simeon. The angel took it carefully. Their eyes met. Barbatos tilted his head slightly to one side, an eyebrow raised in question. Simeon smile shyly at him and glanced down at his tea.

"That's a good idea, Luke," Simeon said.

His eyes flit up to Barbatos's again. The celestial blue of his irises almost shone. The butler's heart sped up.

"I would quite like to join you. However, you mustn't tell Lord Diavolo that I assisted. He has already banned me from the outdoor cooking area because he did not wish for me to work, but I am simply not content unless I am helping somehow." He smiled at Simeon as he spoke, then turned to Luke with a conspiratorial expression and lowered his voice. "Do I have your word that you will not betray me to the Young Master?"

Simeon laughed sweetly at that, and Barbatos turned to face him again with a more relaxed smile. Luke giggled and voiced his agreement.

"It'll be our secret!"

Notes:

Barbatos just wants to help cook dammit, and if Diavolo isn't going to let him, then his husband and their son Simeon and Luke will. I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Thank you for reading.

Find me in other places: salsaverde-nsfw.carrd.co

Chapter 17

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The atmosphere in the kitchen remained pleasant as the trio prepared dessert together. Barbatos allowed Luke to instruct him through the process of making the tiny bite-sized cheesecakes, despite having made them before himself. There was no harm in trying the young angel's recipe, and Barbatos would admit that he was curious to see where their techniques and ingredients differed.

Perhaps it was silly to think, but there was something about the activity of making desserts together with the angels that felt familial. A pleasant warmth bloomed in his chest as he acknowledged that thought. It felt like the previous night, when the three of them had shared a bed after Luke's nightmare—a scared child, safely tucked between his guardians. Perhaps it was presumptuous to consider himself like a guardian to Luke, much less a co-guardian with Simeon. Furthermore, Luke always insisted that he was not a child. Regardless, the trio had slipped naturally into those roles that night. Simeon's warm hand had found its way to the demon's waist by the morning.

The memory of the tender warmth of his palm and his fingertips lingered on Barbatos's skin. He resisted the urge to place his hand there. Instead, he risked another glance at the angel, and was taken aback when their eyes met. Simeon glanced away, but then steeled himself and returned the butler's gaze. They smiled at each other in quiet acknowledgement of . . . Barbatos was not entirely sure what, but it felt like an acknowledgement. A smile tugged at his lips. That warmth in his chest was spreading. His heart skipped another beat as they turned back to their work.

The process of making cheesecake bites with Simeon and Luke concluded all too soon for Barbatos's liking. He helped Luke make room in the fridge so the trays of small treats could slot in easily. He began to fill the sink with warm water while Luke stowed the dessert away, but the kitchen door burst open, causing them all to jump with surprise.

"The GREAT Mammon is here to make sure ya don't miss out on the demonus!" the white-haired demon announced, holding up a tray of drinks. "Um . . . Except for Luke! Does the chihuahua want juice or fizzy pop?"

"I'm not a chihuahua!" Luke huffed, hands on his hips. "But . . . I want fizzy pop!"

"A'ight," Mammon said, rotating the drinks tray on his palm so that he could grab the can of soda. He opened it with one finger looping under the metal tab, then held it out to the younger angel. "One fizzy pop for Fido! It's blue flavour, which is arguably the best flavour."

"Ooh, blue flavour!" Luke said, taking it. "Wait . . . Hey, don't call me Fido!"

Mammon stuck his tongue out at the little angel and Luke raspberried back at him, pouting.

"Enough teasing, please," Simeon said gently. 

Mammon turned to the other angel and plucked one of the demonus beverages off the tray. He proffered it to Simeon.

"It's outta affection. Have a demonus and lighten up," he laughed.

"Oh . . . Thanks . . ." The words came out flat, and he took the glass with a dejected expression.

"You too, Barbatos. Here!" He handed another glass brimming with demonus to the butler. "And ya better not be thinkin' about doin' any dishes, or I'll have ta tell yer boss."

Barbatos narrowed his eyes at the Avatar of Greed, but before he could return a suitably off-putting threat (he was quite certain he knew a thing or two that Mammon had done that Lucifer did not yet know, and which Mammon would prefer to keep that way), Simeon stepped towards the sink and nudged Barbatos with his shoulder.

"Let me do the dishes. You should take a break!" he smiled. "Quickly now, or else Lord Diavolo will ban you from the kitchen too."

Barbatos gasped at the very notion. He took a decent sip of his demonus and stepped towards the door.

"Very well. I could not bear to be banished from my kitchen . . ."

"Atta boy!" Mammon said, clapping him on the back.

His cheeks were already rosy with drink and Barbatos tutted as the Avatar of Greed exited the room. Simeon was already busying himself at the sink, with Luke wiping down the benchtops and humming to himself.

"All clean!" Luke declared, rinsing the cloth in the second sink. "Want some help with the dishes?"

"No, thank you, Luke. I'll finish up here. Why don't you go and make sure Solomon hasn't contaminated the barbeque while we've been making dessert, hm?" Simeon suggested.

Luke gaped in horror. With his can of fizzy pop in hand, he headed for the kitchen door, smiling brightly at Barbatos as he departed. The butler chuckled as the door closed behind the young angel. As quiet settled in the kitchen, he realised that he was alone with Simeon and suddenly he felt tense again. The angel was strangely quiet, and still appeared dejected, his shoulders slumped as he busied his hands in the sink water. He watched Simeon for a moment and then approached quietly, stopping with the second sink between them and leaning against the benchtop.

"Is everything alright? You seem . . . unhappy." Barbatos asked the question gently, glancing at the untouched glass of demonus. "Usually you enjoy demonus, but you did not appear enthusiastic about it at all just now."

Simeon laughed lightly and grabbed the glass of demonus. He took a small sip and placed it down again.

"I haven't had it in a while because I've been in the Human Realm since the last stint with the exchange program," he said. "But I'm fine, thank you. I think I'm just still tired from exploring the cove. It was a big walk for such a warm day."

He kept his eyes trained on the sink as he spoke. Barbatos flushed as he recalled the moment Simeon fell on top of him in the sand, the seashells Luke had gathered from the rockpools scattering around them as their bodies pressed close.

"Oh! I just remembered," Barbatos said, straightening up. He marched across the room to where his beach bag was hung next to the back door. "You dropped your seashells on the beach this morning. I believe you missed one when you collected them again."

He retrieved the swirling shell from his bag and turned it over in his hands, ensuring it was no worse for wear than it had been when he had picked it up. Satisfied, he turned towards the angel.

"This one was still in the sand next to where we fell," he said.

"O-oh, thank you, Barbatos. I realised when we got back to the house that I was missing one. Thank you," Simeon beamed, drying his hands.

Barbatos stepped closer. His fingers traced over the curve of the shell, feeling the coarse exterior and admiring its mottled colours before he held it out.

"It is a beautiful shell," he said. "I am glad I noticed it before I left the beach."

Simeon reached forward and placed his hands over the shell. His fingers overlapped Barbatos's. The butler felt his throat go tight at the familiar warmth of the digits, thinking of how they had rested against his bare waist when he woke that morning. He watched Simeon's face. The angel's eyes were on the shell, or on the place where their fingers met—it was hard to be certain. When Simeon lifted his eyes, he did so with the same shy smile he had worn that afternoon, a moment before they had nearly kissed. The butler's eyes lingered on his lips again, then lifted to meet the beautiful blue of his gaze.

"Um . . . about earlier," Simeon began, glancing away again. "I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable."

"You did not," Barbatos said, the words escaping quickly as he stepped in close. "Not at all. Actually, I worried that perhaps I had misinterpreted—"

"You hadn't," Simeon answered.

They were almost chest to chest again, like they had been that afternoon. Barbatos could feel his heart thudding and filled with anticipation. He did not feel his usual patience as Simeon struggled for words. The angel's words had already reassured him—the urge to have their lips meet while they were hanging laundry had been mutual. Barbatos could simply lean in and then they would share the kiss that was stolen from them earlier, but he wished to allow Simeon to speak first, in case he no longer wanted that.

"I mean, I wanted— I wasn't sure if—"

The kitchen door opened, startling them both. The twins stepped into the kitchen. Belphegor raised a lazy eyebrow immediately and glanced between the two.

"Oh, were you two having a moment?" he asked. A sly grin turned up one corner of his mouth. "Heh, sorry to interrupt. Dinner is ready when you're done making out or whatever."

It took all of Barbatos's willpower not to break his controlled disposition. The demonic urge to hiss or growl or blast Belphegor backwards through the door with a urge of Infernal magic was intense, but Barbatos did not even allow a dark aura to gather around him.

"Wait, we weren't—" Simeon tried.

"Aw, a seashell! That's a sweet gesture," Beelzebub beamed. "Come eat when you're ready. But I can't promise there will still be food left if you take too long."

Beelzebub at least had the courtesy to look sheepish for interrupting. He rubbed the back of his neck with a blush creeping into his own cheeks. Belphegor, on the other hand, was still smirking between the pair, slouching against the doorframe with a chuckle. Barbatos and Simeon looked down at the shell they clasped between them, realising how their exchange appeared.

"That is not . . . oh, never mind," Barbatos sighed.

He and Simeon shared an apologetic look and Barbatos slipped his fingers from beneath the angel's, stepping back to a more respectable distance. He grabbed his glass of demonus and took a deep drink. Beelzebub grabbed Belphegor by the shoulder and dragged him away.

"Come on, Belphie. I don't want to miss out on the food."

Alone in the kitchen once more, the angel and the butler glanced at each other.

"I, um . . . I'll go put this in my room with the others," Simeon fumbled. "Thank you, again."

When the kitchen door closed behind him, Barbatos counted to five and then hissed a string of words he would not normally acknowledge as part of his vocabulary. He finished his drink. He was going to need another. But before he departed to seek out a refill, he spied Simeon's drink, left forgotten next to the sink. It was untouched, save for the single sip Barbatos had witnessed.

This is worrisome. Simeon has always enjoyed indulging in demonus with us. What has changed?

Frowning, Barbatos took up the glass and brought it to the outdoor dining area for the angel.

Notes:

Thank you for reading as always! I hope you're enjoying Spin, because I'm having such a great time writing it. I did a bit of line art for the scene at the start of this chapter, featuring Barbatos, Simeon and Luke making dessert. You'll be able to find that on my Twitter, @SalsaVerde_NSFW.

It's my birthday today and now I really want cheesecake. I should be able to have cheesecake on my birthday, right?

Let me know what you thought of this chapter!

Chapter 18

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The demonus was certainly flowing during dinner. The Young Master and Lucifer had cooked a selection of meats without any apparent incident, and Asmodeus and Satan had teamed up to prepare salads while Beelzebub kept Solomon away from the cooking area. The voices of the other demons were loud and rowdy and Barbatos himself had allowed Mammon to refill his glass several times already. He spotted the Avatar of Greed approaching again as he finished yet another drink.

"Did Lord Diavolo bribe you to ensure I fall asleep so that I am unable to assist with the clean-up?" the butler asked, arching an eyebrow.

"Wha—?! N-no!"

Mammon fumbled with the demonus bottle, looking guilty. Barbatos stared him down until he visibly gulped.

". . . It was Lucifer . . ." he admitted.

With a reluctant sigh, Barbatos waved the other demon away.

"I shall refrain from doing the dishes, if I must. But I think I have had quite enough to drink for the moment, Mammon."

It took the Avatar of Greed a moment of opening and closing his mouth without any successful retort before he conceded and returned to the other table with slumped shoulders.

In all honesty, Barbatos had not stopped worrying about Simeon since they had left the kitchen. He had set his mind on observing him for the evening, going as far to ensure he occupied the same table as the angel during the meal.

There was no doubt in his mind that something was amiss. The evidence was mounting too high to be ignored. Barbatos recounted the tell-tale signs as he took a mouthful of Asmo and Satan's potato salad. Simeon had arrived in his Human Realm clothes and offered a far-fetched explanation for remaining in such attire for the week. He was smiling on the surface, but for two days now, that smile had rarely touched his eyes. Furthermore, he had not cared for his demonus tonight, which was most unusual. Barbatos had watched the angel finish the glass he had been given in the kitchen, but he had declined Mammon's attempts to refill his cup and appeared increasingly dejected as the meal wore on. He had not eaten much, which worried Barbatos further, as it was the second meal in a row where he had barely touched his food. He had been quiet despite the animated chatter around them. He had remained sat beside Luke during the casual meal, then excused himself once he had eaten a small amount.

That was when Barbatos lost track of the older angel. Simeon had not returned for some time since heading inside. Luke was glancing towards the doorway back into the house every few minutes, awaiting his guardian's return. His little brow was furrowed and he was fidgeting in his seat.  

I wonder if Luke can see through Simeon's forced smiles. But if he does not, then asking him about it may cause him to worry about Simeon himself. Then again, it appears he is already concerned for his guardian.

Barbatos picked at the remnants of potato salad on his plate for a moment longer before he stood and slid into the space next to Luke.

"Did you enjoy the meal?" he asked, drawing the young angel's attention.

The boy looked worriedly at his empty plate. "Yeah, it was yummy . . ."

The butler disliked the flat tone.

Yes, he is already quite concerned.

"Why the frown, Luke?" Barbatos asked, tapping the child's forehead with his fingertip. "Worried about Simeon?"

Luke sighed and nodded. He leaned his elbows on the table and rested his head in his hands.

"You noticed too?"

Barbatos nodded.

"I noticed that he seemed off since he arrived yesterday. Do you know what troubles him?"

Luke shook his head.

"I don't know. Every time I ask him what's wrong, he smiles and says everything is fine and tells me not to worry about him. But . . . I don't believe him." Luke hesitated for a moment before he added, "Did I do something wrong?"

The butler's eyes widened and he placed a hand to his chest.

"I am most doubtful that you are at fault," he said firmly, then softened his tone again. "But if I may, how long have you noticed that he has not been himself?"

Luke frowned at his empty plate, thoughtful for a moment, then turned his small body to face Barbatos. The butler paid close attention as Luke met his eyes with a serious expression.

He wants to speak about this to somebody. It has clearly troubled him to see Simeon out of sorts.

"Since we started setting up the Angel's Halo. At first, I thought he was nervous about opening a business in the Human Realm and adjusting to living there, but it's been months now and he's still like that. And it feels like he's worse sometimes. Then it will be like he's back to normal for a little while, and then . . ." Luke shrugged helplessly. "Then it's like something is wrong again."

A tight feeling made itself known within the demon's chest. The urge to soothe the young angel was undeniable. It felt natural, as it had the previous night, when Luke had emerged from his room after a nightmare and found Barbatos painting.

Only in this case, I cannot dismiss his worries as a harmless dream.  

"It sounds difficult for you, Luke," Barbatos said, placing a hand over the angel's smaller hand. He squeezed the boy's fingers. "I was uncertain if I was imagining it and thought, perhaps, he was just tired. Thank you for letting me know that you have also noticed that something is amiss."

Luke pouted at him with wet eyes.

"Can you help me find out what's wrong? Any time I ask, he tells me he's fine . . . I don't know what to do."

His helpless expression felt like a blade piercing the demon's heart. Barbatos slipped an arm around his small frame and hugged him.

"I shall attempt to speak with him. However, you must remember, Luke, that Simeon is your guardian. Perhaps he does not feel that it is appropriate to burden you with his troubles when it is his duty to look after you. Do you understand?"

He tilted the young angel's face up to meet his eyes. Luke knuckled away the dampness and nodded. Barbatos returned a reassuring smile.

And if that is indeed Simeon's reason for not confiding in Luke, I can understand that decision. Regardless, Luke knows that something is not right and he is worried. I shall get to the bottom of this, but for now, I shall take Luke's mind off the matter.

Sitting back in his seat, his smile became more congenial.

"Now, it appears everyone has eaten their fill. Shall we serve dessert?"

Luke gasped, standing quickly. "I almost forgot about the cheesecake bites!"

"Cheesecake bites?!" Beelzebub echoed. The demon's eyes narrowed on Luke. "How could you forget about something so delicious?"

Luke grinned across to the other outdoor dining table where Beelzebub had called from. He stuck his tongue out at the big red-head demon. Barbatos did a double take at the colouring of the angel's tongue and chuckled his amusement. He tapped Luke's shoulder to get his attention again.

"Luke, the fizzy pop Mammon gave you has made your tongue turn blue." He pulled his DDD from his pocket and tapped on the camera app. "Stick it out again for me."

The child giggled and grinned happily, his earlier worries evaporating. He did as he was asked and stuck his little blue tongue out as far as he could. He squished his small face between his hands. Barbatos laughed gently as he took a photo, then turned the screen to show Luke.

"Hahaha! We've got to show that to Simeon! Maybe it'll cheer him up!" Luke grinned. Then his cheeks went red and he pulled his hat down over his face. "Ugh, I can't believe I just did that. That's so embarrassing, Barbatos!"

The demon chuffed another laugh and adjusted Luke's hat, glad to see that the little angel was no longer frowning.

"I will not show it to anybody except Simeon," he promised. "Now, let us serve that dessert, before Beelzebub tries to eat you."

Notes:

This chapter was on the shorter side, but I hope you enjoyed it! I wanted to add more to show that even though Luke is a child, he isn't totally oblivious to the things the adult characters try to keep from him. Let me know your thoughts! Thank you for reading!

Find me on Twitter @SalsaVerde_NSFW!

Chapter 19

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Asmodeus and Mammon had turned up the volume on the music after dinner. Luke's cheesecake bites were well-received for dessert, though Barbatos made a point of reminding Luke that if anybody asked, he had not assisted. The young angel enjoyed the praise from the demons and Solomon, and his face lit up when Simeon re-emerged from the house with a big smile.

"Simeon! Quick, get dessert before Beelzebub eats it all!" Luke insisted.

The older angel laughed merrily, and it sounded genuine. That made Barbatos's heart speed up in a surprisingly welcome way, considering his earlier concerns. But as he watched Simeon, he noticed a distinct wobble in his step. The angel sat across from him and Luke with a small plate of cheesecake bites he'd salvaged from the other table.

"I thought I'd—" He was cut off when a hiccup squeaked its way out of his throat, to which he giggled before continuing. "—bring more over for you two, before they all dis. . . disappeared!" he declared, pushing the plate midway between where they sat.

"That was very thoughtful of you," Barbatos nodded.

"Don't worry, Barb," Simeon said, dropping his voice to a loud whisper. "I won't tell Diavolo that you helped . . . Hehehehe!"

The fit of giggles that shook the angel brought a blush to the butler's cheeks. His mouth quirked into a small smile. It was the liveliest he had seen Simeon since he arrived, and the angel's cheeks were rosy in a way that made the butler want to reach forward and place his hand against his skin to feel the radiating warmth. He pushed that indulgent temptation aside.

"Pardon the accusation, but it seems you are quite drunk all of a sudden, Simeon," he commented, keeping his tone playful.

"Hehehe . . . Like you wouldn't fall asleep if you were to drink a little more, Barb."

Barbatos relaxed into the playful banter. His shoulders shook with mirth.

"Indeed, I am but an old man and it truly shows when I am in my cups. Regardless, I am glad to see you in good spirits."

"Oh, no no, the good spirits are in me!" Simeon declared with a grin.

Luke groaned, smacking his hand against his forehead.

"How long have you been waiting to use that line?"

Simeon snorted a most ungraceful sound as he bit into a cheesecake bite.

"I just thought of it now! Have some faith in me, Luke."

"Simeon! My man!" Mammon cheered, stumbling towards them.

He draped himself over the angel from behind in a very tight hug. Barbatos shot the other demon an unimpressed look, but the Avatar of Greed paid him no mind.

"Have some more demonus!" Mammon insisted.

He set down a fresh glass in front of the angel, already filled, then pointed at Barbatos and dropped his voice.

"Oi, remember, no helpin' with the clean-up, butler boy. Otherwise Lucifer ain't payin' me. Ya better drink more, too, just to be sure."

He snatched Barbatos's glass up before the butler could protest and returned it overflowing, much to the demon's dismay.

"Cheers to that!" Simeon announced, holding his glass up.

"That's the spirit!" Mammon encouraged, bumping his glass against Simeon's so that liquid sloshed over their fingers.

"Cheers!" Luke joined in with his can of blue fizzy pop.

Barbatos tapped his glass against Luke's drink, then Mammon's, and finally Simeon's. Beneath the table, Simeon's ankles bumped against his own. Their eyes met over their drinks, and the angel smiled at him. It did not hold the same shyness as it had in the kitchen, or under the clothesline, but it made Barbatos's heart race all the same. The liquid courage seemed to be working its magic on the angel.

Once the dishes were washed and the tables wiped down—all of which Barbatos was most reluctantly excluded from—Leviathan suggested a film.

"It's called Ghosted Elsewhere, and it's made by probably the most famous anime studio in the entire Human Realm!" he shouted, before rapid-fire explaining the premise without giving away too much of the plot.

"Ghosts?!" Mammon repeated. "Are ya sure that's a family friendly film? C'mon man, Luke'll get scared!"

"You mean you'll get scared, Mammon," Satan said.

"Nuh-uh! F-fine, we'll watch it, but if Fido has nightmares, I'm blamin' you guys!"

"I'll watch the movie with you guys," Beelzebub said. "Belphie, do you want to?"

The Avatar of Sloth made a noncommittal sound in response. "As long as I can curl up in a blanket and fall asleep on someone, I'll be happy."

"Well, you all have fun with that," Asmodeus said, inspecting his nails. "I'm not really in the mood for a movie tonight."

"Nor am I," Lucifer intoned.

"Alright, those of you who want to be indoctrinated into the world of Studio Nibbly—to the theatre room!" Leviathan shouted, striking a dramatic pose as he pointed towards the doors to go inside. "The rest of you normies, have fun being normies, I guess."

A chunk of the group broke away and disappeared inside with Leviathan. Luke hesitated when Simeon did not move to join them.

"Is it okay if I watch with them?" He watched his guardian's face with a small expression of guilt.

"Of course!" Simeon said. "I might join in later, but for now, I think I'll stay out here. But you go and enjoy the film."

Once Luke scurried after the group, there were six in the outdoor dining area. Lord Diavolo had opted to remain with Lucifer, and Solomon had chosen to stay with Asmodeus.

"Come gather around," Diavolo boomed, waving Barbatos and Simeon over from the other table.

The Young Lord placed his palms on the surface of the table and focused his energy until the item of furniture shook violently and shrank into itself—a more suitable size for their group.

Barbatos tutted at his master.

"You have been drinking, My Lord. It is unwise to use your powers like that," he chided.

"Oh, it's only a simple spell. Everything's fine! See?" Diavolo grinned and indicated to the table.

Barbatos shook his head but allowed the Young Master to brush off the small reprimand. Instinctively, he placed himself at his Lord Diavolo's side, though to his dismay that left Solomon on his other side. Simeon slid into the seat between Asmodeus and Lucifer and briefly caught the butler's eye from across the table. The angel sipped demonus through a straw and then placed the glass down on the table. Asmodeus turned down the music to serve as a backdrop to conversation, and topped up the drinks that were not already full.

"So, darlings~" Asmodeus cooed, planting himself in Solomon's lap. "What shall the rest of us get up to this evening?"

"Actually, there's a party game I would like to try!" Lord Diavolo piped up. "It's one of the games outlined in Youthful Fun 101 as a highly popular party game, in both the Devildom and the Human Realm."

That piqued Asmodeus's interest. "Oh? And which party game might that be, mi'lord~?"

Diavolo giggled into his drink as Asmodeus leaned forward. "The game is called Spin the Bottle!"

As if for emphasis, the Young Master held up an empty demonus bottle and then placed it in the centre of the table, on its side. Asmodeus clapped his hands with a happy trill and wiggled his butt against Solomon's lap.

"I love that game! Let's play! Let's play!"

"Ah, I had a feeling you would be familiar with this one, Asmodeus," Diavolo said, wagging an eyebrow.

"My Lord, how does one play this game?" Barbatos enquired, sipping his drink.

"Well, we are already sitting around a table, so all that's left to do is take turns spinning the bottle. And then you have to kiss whoever the bottle is pointing to when it stops spinning!"

The last part brought the butler's sipping to a screeching halt. He placed his glass on the table in front of him and smiled tightly.

"Young Lord, are you certain that such a game is appropriate?"

"I just want to try it once! I've read so much about it in Youthful Fun 101. It's truly a classic by all accounts," the prince insisted. "Besides, what's a bit of kissing between friends, hmm?"

The Young Master waggled an eyebrow, and pointedly flitted his eyes from Barbatos to Simeon and then back again.

Ah, he intends this as a setup . . . I see. Still, this can surely do more harm than good with Solomon here. And what of Simeon's feelings for Lucifer? 

He disliked the potential for this game to sour the mood.

"What's the matter, Barb?" Solomon said, leaning back in his chair with Asmodeus still perched in his lap.

Barbatos narrowed his eyes at the sorcerer. Had Solomon not been smugly scowling at him, and had his tone not been so decidedly a challenge, or perhaps, had Barbatos not lost count of how many glasses of demonus he had consumed over the course of the evening, then he would not have allowed the sorcerer to get beneath his skin. However, none of this was the case, and the butler found himself choosing to act against his better judgement.

"Nothing whatsoever," he said, his tone becoming icy.

He reclined in his chair with a dangerous smile on his face, locking eyes with Solomon. The atmosphere between them was turbulent. It took physical effort not to allow a dark aura to gather around his form, but Asmodeus realised at least one of the potential problems the moment Solomon spoke.

"Oh . . ."

Lucifer cleared his throat and addressed Diavolo. "Perhaps, my love, we should save this game for—"

"No, let us enjoy the game tonight," Barbatos said, cutting off the Avatar of Pride.

His gaze had not left Solomon's. His ex-lover did not back down under his stare. Lord Diavolo seemed to catch on to the mistake he had made in suggesting this game as he looked between his butler and the sorcerer, but Barbatos's tone was resolute.

"Are we all in?" Lord Diavolo asked, eyes sweeping around the table.

"Yes," Barbatos and Solomon said in unison.

Asmodeus clicked his tongue. "Well, it's a yes from me~"

"Very well," Lucifer conceded.

"I'll play," Simeon said, leaning forward.

The urge to end the staring competition with Solomon and gauge Simeon's feelings about participating was strong. However, Barbatos did not allow his gaze to falter. Perhaps it was the demonus talking, but he'd had quite enough of Solomon's foolish jealousy.

Notes:

Get your popcorn ready, everyone. The next few chapters are going to be interesting~

I finished the draft of chapter 24 last night and I'm very excited to keep sharing each part with you as I polish it up. Let me know what you thought of this chapter in the comments, and feel free to say hi to me on Twitters @SalsaVerde_NSFW.

Chapter 20

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Diavolo allowed his excitement to build again upon hearing his friends agree to the game.

"Marvellous!" He clapped his hands. "Now, I will stipulate that according to Youthful Fun 101, this game is intended to be played without any sort of magic. It is meant to be a game of chance."

"That's right!" Asmodeus chimed. "Leaving it up to fate is far more exciting."

"Plus, it is unwise to use magic while we drink, hahaha!" Diavolo grinned, ignoring the fact that Barbatos had chastised him only minutes earlier for using magic to shrink the table. "And I have heard that multiple magic users attempting to manipulate the bottle at once can lead to glassy explosions, which I would prefer to avoid."

"As you wish, Young Master," Barbatos intoned.

"Shall I start us off?" Asmodeus offered, eager to commence.

Diavolo gave a hearty laugh. "That would be fitting, since you seem to be experienced."

Neither the butler nor the sorcerer broke eye contact despite Asmodeus's musical giggle, but as the Avatar of Lust leaned forward, planting his feet hip-length apart as he hinged forward over the table, Barbatos did not miss the subtle twist of Asmo's ankle as he pressed the pointy little heel of his shoe down on top of Solomon's foot. The sorcerer attempted to cover the wince, but the unexpected pain flashed across his face just long enough for Barbatos to notice before he tore his gaze away.

I feel poorly about Asmodeus needing to do such things, especially so many times in a single day, Barbatos mused. However, he could not help smirking in triumph as he turned his attention to the table and watched the empty demonus bottle spin.

The neck of the bottle stopped pointing directly at Lord Diavolo, who was positively brimming with excitement.

"Ooooh, Lucifer, I have to kiss your boyfriend~" Asmodeus teased.

His little heels clacked against the wooden flooring of the outdoor dining area as he danced around to the other side of the table. Lord Diavolo pushed his chair back in anticipation, golden eyes flashing with delight when Asmodeus slid straddled him without hesitation. It was an amusing sight to behold; the Avatar of Lust was small and lithe and his legs had to spread considerably to mount his new seat. Meanwhile, the Young Master was all broad shoulders and thick muscle mass, and stood significantly taller than Asmodeus when at his full height. Clearly, the pair found their size difference highly amusing. They both giggled as Asmodeus adjusted himself in the prince's lap, showing off his flexibility. He braced his hands against the Young Lord's shoulders with a wicked smile. Lord Diavolo boomed a laugh, taking the smaller demon by the hips to help him maintain balance. His hands were so large in comparison to Asmo's slender figure that even with his palms against the demon's hip bones, his fingers still encompassed Asmo's perfectly shaped derriere.

Lord Diavolo leaned back in his chair, quite comfortable in the situation. Barbatos found the corners of his mouth twitching upwards at their playfulness, especially with Lucifer unperturbed beside them. Regardless, he thought it a significant sign of both the Young Lord's and of the Avatar of Lust's values that they turned to Lucifer in unison, taming their smiles for a moment.

"Is this alright, my love?" Diavolo asked.

The Avatar of Pride leaned back in his chair, regarding his brother-in-arms perched in his lover's lap. There was a hint of amusement in his eyes. A fang peeked out of the corner of his mouth when he smirked.

"Quite so. You needn't ask again for this game. We agreed to play."

Both of the other demons grinned. A fiendish glow radiated from their eyes as they turned back to each other. Asmodeus closed the gap, elegant fingers cupping the demon prince's face as their mouths slotted together and their tongues met. The wet sounds of the kiss were loud, but hidden beneath their playful giggles and sighs before they pulled away from one enough, panting. Asmodeus straightened his back and appraised the Young Lord's flushed face.

"And that is how you play Spin the Bottle," Asmodeus declared, finding his feet and clacking back around the table to Solomon.

He perched daintily on the sorcerer's lap and took a sip from his drink while the rest of the table laughed. Diavolo slung an arm around Lucifer, who was still smirking at his lover.

They are so confident in their love that neither of them is afraid to let the other have fun with another playmate, Barbatos acknowledged, though it was far from the first time this had become apparent to him. While the prince and the Avatar of Pride kept their relationship quite private outside of their closest circles, their bodies were not treated with mutual exclusivity. While they scarce had time for other lovers, and while the bond between them was doubtlessly strong—or perhaps because of this—Barbatos knew them both to indulge in their desires with others, too.

Solomon was, similarly, unbothered by watching his lover kiss another. Polyamory and casual sex with other partners came with the territory of dating either the Avatar of Lust, or the Wise King.

"Your turn, Solly~" Asmodeus chimed.

Barbatos caught the flicker of concern in the other demon's brow as Solomon reached passed him to spin the bottle. His brief respite from his displeasure towards Solomon came to an abrupt close as he remembered the potential for this game to force them together. The bottle came to a stop.

Barbatos had learned from his very long life as a demon with dominion over time that if you did not wish for a particular thing to occur, it would most certainly, in some iteration of reality, inevitably happen.

He loathed this game already. Curse it through every layer of hell. Of course the bottle would point to him if his ex-lover spun it.

Pressing his teeth together, he raised his eyes to Solomon. The sorcerer wore an unreadable expression as he looked back at the demon beside him. The group gathered around the table became deathly quiet as the ex-lovers stared each other down.

"Well?" Barbatos prompted. "What's the matter, Solomon?"

He arched an eyebrow. Solomon's eyes narrowed at the butler, realising that he was returning his own challenge from earlier.

"Excuse me, Princess," Solomon grumbled.

Asmodeus slid into the empty seat on Solomon's other side, enabling the sorcerer to turn his body towards Barbatos. The butler did not move. Solomon had spun the bottle, and so Barbatos would make him do the work. That decision did not go unnoticed by the sorcerer, who scowled as he resigned to dragging his chair closer to the butler.

Barbatos, for his part, forced himself to relax and sat back in his chair with his hands folded in his lap. He crossed one leg over the other and turned his head towards Solomon as the other man drew close beside him. A part of Barbatos toyed with the option of leaving before what came next. He could go inside and join the other group for their movie and leave the others to the stupid game. But he could not quite bring himself to put that thought into action. The sorcerer leaned in, and their faces became close enough that Barbatos saw the conflict in his grey eyes. He hated the way it made his heart feel to see that modicum of hesitation, almost as if Solomon did not want this.

Almost.

Solomon raised a hand to the butler's face and planted his fingers against his jawline. He leaned in. His eyes slid shut. Barbatos kept his eyes open as their lips met, but when Solomon's lips parted, his own mouth responded in kind and his eyelids slid closed, too.

For the briefest moment, the kiss felt tender, and Barbatos remembered their first. He remembered the way Solomon had rested fingers against his jawline then, too, and how the sound of a nearby water fountain had filled the silence between them. There were twelve koi fish in the fountain, mottled with black and red and golden scales, swimming languidly between the lily pads that floated in clusters on the surface. He would count the koi every time he visited Solomon, every time they sat in that small courtyard together. They would drink tea together, sitting on the ledge that surrounded the fountain, and Barbatos would watch the koi as they circled one another without a care in the world. A fig tree had shaded the area well through the hottest part of the day, but sunlight would pierce through the lower branches at dusk and at dawn, dappling the pavers in speckled shade. Late in the summer, and throughout autumn, they would eat fresh figs for breakfast, picking them straight from the tree and tearing them open with their thumbs. The sweetness of the ripe fruit would linger on their lips all day, and serve as a reminder with each kiss.

Barbatos remembered being happy with his new lover. He had felt as if he had found a part of himself that he had not realised was missing. After that kiss, they had shared many more. For a time, their relationship was good.

Until it wasn't.

His stomach pulled into a knot. He felt Solomon's tongue glide against his lips, but he did not return the caress. It would have been easy, natural, but he knew it would only increase the risk of making the rest of his evening so much worse. Solomon's tongue caressed his once more, and the loneliness that had bloomed in the butler's heart cried out for him to pretend, just for a moment, that they could make it work if they tried again. But the demon new better than to give in to Solomon. The feelings between them were complicated enough. So instead, Barbatos allowed his fangs to press against the sorcerer's tongue. Solomon understood the warning and pulled away. 

The table was uncomfortably quiet as the sorcerer dragged his seat back to its previous position. Barbatos took up his glass of demonus. He finished its contents and let the sweet drink wash away the all too familiar taste of his ex-lover.

Asmodeus did not move to resume his position on Solomon's lap. He cleared his throat with a dainty cough and turned a flirtatious smile towards Barbatos.

"It's your turn to spin, Barbie," he said, but his usual playful tone fell flat.

Wordlessly, Barbatos reached forward and spun the wretched bottle himself. The urge to peek into the future and find a timeline where he would not end up kissing Solomon again was strong. He was not sure if he could take it once more. However, to do so would be a trivial abuse of the power he held. Instead, he waited the mere seconds it would take for the bottle to reveal his fate. Silently, he pleaded to the stars as if praying to the Celestial Father that the bottle would point to anyone but Solomon.

And as if his prayers were answered, when the bottle fell still, it pointed to an angel.

Notes:

This is not a drill. I repeat: this is not a drill!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter. From the playful DiaAsmo smooch, to the sad longing of the SoloBarb kiss, to THIS IS NOT A DRILL. Will their kiss be interrupted yet again, or will Barbatos and Simeon finally get what they've been longing for? Find out in the next chapter~

I love reading your comments, so do let me know what you thought!

Chapter 21

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Chapter 21

Barbatos felt his heart rate increase as an array of feelings rushed through him. He had spun the bottle dreading the potential outcome, but the bottle had stilled with the opening directed to the angel he had wanted to kiss since yesterday. His trepidation at the possibility of kissing Solomon again was forgotten instantly. He met Simeon's eyes across the table. The angel's lips parted in momentary surprise. His own cheeks bloomed with a pleasant heat.

It felt like he was floating as he stood and stepped around the table, making his way towards the angel. His heart hammered behind his ribs. He had desired a chance to kiss the angel all day, and had come frustratingly close to doing so on more than one occasion, only for each opportunity to be thwarted somehow. Would he finally feel those soft lips against his own?

There was one in six chances that the bottle would point to Simeon when I spun it. This outcome was just as likely as any other potential outcome. Yet it feels surreal that in this iteration of reality, fate would curse me with Solomon one moment, and then bless me with Simeon in the next.

The atmosphere around the table was filled with anticipation. It was clear to Barbatos that Lord Diavolo had suggested this game with the hopes of orchestrating a kiss between Barbatos and Simeon, and it was already apparent that Lucifer and Asmodeus were also in favour of such an outcome. But with the sorcerer in their midst, would the kiss itself come to pass? Or would his human master quash the attempt once more?

Solomon's feelings on the matter be damned.

Resolve burned within him, but his concerns regarding Solomon's potential to interfere vanished as Barbatos came to a stop beside Simeon's chair. It was rare for Barbatos to lose his train of thought so easily, but his mind fell silent in an instant. He had not broken eye-contact with Simeon as he had moved around the table, but remembering how to move now that he stood before the angel took longer than it ought. Celestial blue blinked back at him, catching the golden lantern light that illuminated the outdoor dining area. Simeon's cheeks were darkened with a flush. These details distracted from the stillness in his head.

Barbatos reached for one of the spare seats that no longer fit around the shrunken table and pulled it into the small space between Simeon and Lucifer. He perched carefully at the edge of the seat and leaned a hand against the back of Simeon's chair.

Their faces were level. Barbatos's heart was in his throat suddenly. He tried to swallow it back down. He wet his lips with his tongue and reached forward with his other hand. His fingertips found Simeon's cheek. His skin felt warm to the touch. Invitingly so. Barbatos dared to let his eyes travel downward and settle upon the other man's lips for a moment before he met Simeon's gaze again. The angel seemed nervous, seemed to hold his breath, but he did not pull away.

"May I?" Barbatos asked.

His voice was soft and unassuming. He would not move another inch until he had Simeon's answer. A smile touched Simeon's eyes. It was small, but it was real and filled with relief and tentative excitement. The angel released a shaky breath as he nodded his consent.

His smile is truly beautiful.

That thought distracted him for only a moment before he leaned towards the angel. Barbatos kept his lips slightly parted as he closed the space between them. He shut his eyes and at last he felt the soft warmth of Simeon's lips upon his own.

He kept the kiss chaste. Their lips only brushed at first, but after a tentative moment, their mouths pressed together. A rush of warmth flooded into the demon's chest cavity as he moved his lips slowly, pursing them loosely and then opening again, in time with Simeon's own movements, as if waiting for one another, careful not to rush ahead or leave the other behind. The warmth filled his stomach. He kept the pressure of his fingertips light upon the angel's cheek, more a comfort than a guide.

Beneath the chaste warmth of Simeon's lips, sweet notes of demonus lingered on his breath. But something rich and bitter accompanied the demonus, cutting through the familiar flavour almost violently. A small pocket of Barbatos's mind attempted to place this taste to no avail. The urge to deepen the kiss and caress the angel's mouth with his tongue to identify the flavour made itself known, but Barbatos soothed it down. No, this kiss was sacred. The reverence made him heady with the knowledge of how fragile the moment was.

But as with all moments, it came to a close.

Barbatos drew back a fraction and they both opened their eyes, lips still parted as they considered one another. The celestial blue that looked back at him made him feel as if his soul was on display. Not to be judged, as angels would traditionally be inclined when faced with a demon, but rather, to be appreciated as one would a mosaic. Something in Simeon's gaze made him feel, for a breath, like he was beautiful—that he was like the perfect celestial being staring back at him. And it struck him all over again that the angel before him was utterly breathtaking.

With his heart still thudding against his ribs, Barbatos let his hand depart from the angel's cheek. Simeon offered him a shy smile, which he returned before he made his way back to his seat. It was only when Barbatos had returned to his seat that he remembered the others present.

Asmodeus was practically vibrating with glee. Honeyed pink eyes shifted between the angel to his right, and the butler two seats to the left. Barbatos met the Young Lord's gaze and kept his own as level as he could, but the way Diavolo utterly beamed beside him caused the corners of the butler's mouth to curl upwards. His cheeks ached as he fought back a wider smile. Lucifer gave him a knowing smirk from the prince's other side. He dared to look at Simeon from across the table again, and his schooled features lapsed into a wider smile for a moment when the angel quickly averted his own gaze, unable to banish his own giddy grin.

To the butler's left, Solomon cleared his throat.

"Lord Diavolo, it would be your turn now," he prompted, stiffly.

Barbatos pursed his lips. There was something satisfying about the dark undertone of envy in the sorcerer's voice, but it was nowhere near as satisfying as having finally felt Simeon's lips against his own. He disregarded the sorcerer and turned his attention to the Young Master.

"Of course, of course!" Diavolo boomed, barely able to contain his excitement. "I think I have a good handle on the game now," he said, taking his spin.

The bottle completed multiple revolutions before it came to a stop, such was the Young Master's enthusiasm. The bottle pointed straight to Lucifer.

"Well, that's hardly exciting!" Asmodeus protested. "You get to kiss him all the time!"

Asmodeus crossed his arms with a huff. Diavolo grinned back at the Avatar of Lust and drew an arm around Lucifer as he responded.

"I will have you know, Asmodeus, that every kiss I share with Lucifer brings me utmost excitement."

"Besides, you pest, it's not every day you have the privilege of witnessing our intimacy," Lucifer intoned, though his eyes were already on Diavolo.

The prince grinned at him and they joined immediately, their mouths hot and hungry against one another. Their kiss was loud, filled with the wet noises of tongues and wanton sighs. Diavolo took Lucifer by the hips and hauled him into his lap. A hand on the Avatar of Pride's thigh and another at the small of his back anchored him there as the pair made out, unreserved and unabashed.

"Ohoho~" Asmodeus tittered from his seat.

He took a deep sip of his drink while looking directly at the pair, his lips pursed in a fiendish smile around his straw. He made a point of angling his body to lean his shoulder against Solomon's chest. The sorcerer's silver eyebrows shot up to his hairline as if Asmodeus's actions were somehow a surprise, but his features quickly twisted into an amused smirk.

"Enjoying the show, are you, princess?" Solomon murmured as he placed an arm around the demon.

Asmodeus twisted his upper body to clutch the front of the sorcerer's shirt and bat his eyelashes.

"Doesn't watching them make you want to have a bit of fun too?" he cooed. "They're really getting into it, after all."

Asmodeus's assessment was correct. From where Barbatos sat, he could see the way the front of Lucifer's pants grew tight. He subtly rolled his hips as he ground down on the Young Lord's lap. Barbatos suspected that his master was in an equally excitable state. From the corner of his eye, he noticed Asmodeus dragging a hand up the inside of Solomon's thigh.

That ought to distract Solomon from his bitterness.

He did not need to know where Asmo's hands would end up. Instead, Barbatos looked across the table to Simeon, but the angel's gaze was trained on his hands. His earlier smile had been replaced with a quiet glumness. Barbatos quietly wished that he had sat beside the angel when they first joined the table. They could have shared awkward solidarity between the two couples, or perhaps allow themselves some indulgence of their own.

But perhaps that is too wishful, he considered. We have kissed only in the context of a game among friends. And his present discomfort likely stems from unrequited feelings he holds for Lucifer. 

That thought weighed heavy in his chest, as if he had been spurned. He disliked his own reaction and shook the feeling away. If he were seated beside Simeon, he could at least offer the angel a distraction in the form of a reassuring smile. However, there was little he could do from across the table, except to remind his companions that a game was afoot. Barbatos calmly cleared his throat and a pleasant smile took to his face.

"I believe it is Lucifer's turn next," he said.

With a wet sound, Lord Diavolo released Lucifer's lips and gave him a heated look. Both demons were panting heavily.

"I think Barbatos is trying to tell us something," Diavolo said in a false whisper.

"Indeed. We shall continue this later, my love," Lucifer said, and his tone made it a promise.

The Avatar of Pride slid back into his own seat. He shot the butler a sly grin as he began his turn.

Notes:

I told you it wasn't a drill! I hope you enjoyed both of these smooches. The game shall continue next chapter. There's definitely nothing to be worried about. Nothing at all. I'm not about to hurt you . . . probably. Put your mind at ease 🙂

Let me know your thoughts! I adore reading your comments!

Chapter 22

Notes:

Content warning: This chapter includes non-consensual kissing and references to blood and past deaths. Reader discretion is advised.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

The bottle came to a stop pointing at Solomon, and it did not escape anybody's notice that the demon and the sorcerer were having very different reactions. Lucifer shot a disdainful glare at the bottle, as if it had deliberately offended him, then cast his eyes to the sorcerer in suspicion. Diavolo sensed no magic at play and remained quiet, with mild entertainment across his features, much to Lucifer's disappointment. Contrarily, Solomon appeared perfectly amused by this outcome.

"Asmodeus, it seems that tonight I have to kiss your boyfriend, too," Lucifer said, hiding none of his dismay. 

"Come now, Lucifer, I promise I'm a good kisser. No need to be shy," Solomon smiled.

Barbatos tutted quietly at his ex-lover's antics.

Well, at least it is not me this time.

The sorcerer's entire demeanour was smug and calculating. After all, it was no secret that Solomon saw Lucifer as a prize worth pursuing. Barbatos had been the last and most powerful of the sorcerer's pacts, and the initial summoning had very near killed Solomon. He did not actively pursue new pacts for a long time once he had secured Barbatos. When he eventually set his sights on adding more demons to his collection, there were few that caught his interest. However, even with seventy-two pacts, Solomon would happily sell his soul a second time—if only he could—to secure the Avatar of Pride.

But his soul belongs to me, and me alone. It amuses me even after all this time that he managed to gain his first seventy-one pacts without cleaving away at it. He was notoriously clever with every contract, but he had nothing left to offer when he summoned me.

An ancient memory of the sorcerer's bloodied visage flashed through his mind. Any other human would have failed to summon Barbatos and perished in agony for their efforts. It had been a desperate move on Solomon's part. An experiment gone wrong—which he would later discover had unwittingly granted him immortality—had caused the Wise King's palace to collapse. The heavy stones had crushed the loved ones he had during that fragment of his already unnaturally long life. All of his guilt and grief could not bring them back from death, so Solomon had poured every bit of it into finding a demon who could help him. He had offered Barbatos his soul, in exchange for a pact that would allow Solomon to command him to use his powers to help change the outcome, to save his family. It had been a complicated process—Barbatos required approval from Lord Diavolo to use his powers in such a way, and the Young Master would allow Barbatos to fulfil such a command exactly once. Naturally, meticulous planning had occurred to ensure the outcome would achieve what Solomon desired. Only after much stipulation did Barbatos accept the murky and mutated essence of Solomon's soul as his property, in exchange for their pact.

If Solomon still had his soul to offer, it still would not be enough for Lucifer. He and I have substantially different driving principles behind our decisions. But Solomon has never been one to take no for an answer. He will push until he has his way . . . or until his efforts backfire.

It did not surprise Barbatos in the least to find that Solomon would keep the possibility of forging a pact with Lucifer at the forefront of his mind, even during this game. He pushed away the ancient memories and returned his attention to the present.

With reluctance, Lucifer rose from his seat and made his way around the table. He came to a standstill behind Solomon's chair. Unceremoniously, he grabbed the sorcerer by the hair and yanked the man's head backwards before Solomon could turn around.

"Oh, Lucifer~" Asmodeus swooned, fanning himself. 

The other demon ignored him and crashed his mouth down upon the sorcerer's. Solomon emitted a smug laugh, muffled by the demon's lips. He brought his own hand up to fist the hair at the back of Lucifer's head, welcoming the aggressive bite of the demon's mouth upon his own. 

The table watched them with a strange curiosity. There was no trust between Lucifer and Solomon, and that was evidenced by the way neither closed their eyes as they kissed. Neither of the men would surrender an inch of themselves to the other; their mutual dominance saw the kiss deepen as Lucifer sought to cow the sorcerer, and Solomon demonstrated himself as a worthy opponent, unintimidated by the most powerful Avatar of Sin.

When they separated, their lips were kiss-bruised. They maintained their grip on one another's hair, eyes sharp as they met, daring each other to look away.

Barbatos shifted his gaze to the others to observe their reactions. Asmodeus was still busy swooning at the dominant energy both Lucifer and Solomon exuded. Simeon's face was flushed, but he glanced away and back to them with clear discomfort. And between them, Lord Diavolo was eyeing Lucifer and Solomon with a burning curiosity and his own amusement.

Solomon's lips pulled into a devilish grin as he held eye contact with the demon leering over him.

"Now that we have taken our friendship to the next level, Lucifer, how about a pact?"

"Perish," Lucifer deadpanned.

The Young Master roared with laughter at their exchange. The way Lucifer released his grip on Solomon so abruptly was as if he had dropped the sorcerer from a height although the man had remained seated the entire time. Solomon's chair creaked dangerously beneath him, threatening to splinter beneath the warning aura that gathered around the demon.

"Perhaps another time," Solomon said without missing a beat, tapping his chin.

"Tch," Lucifer merely scoffed, batting the sorcerer's hand from his hair at his audacity.

Lucifer moved back around the table to settle at the Young Lord's side with his head held high. Diavolo slung an arm around Lucifer's shoulders, and wiped a tear of laughter from his eye before refilling his lover's demonus.

Beside the pair, Simeon cleared his throat tentatively.

"I suppose that means it's my turn."

Celestial blue eyes rose to find Barbatos across the table. The butler's heart stutter when that small tipsy smile, filled with shyness and hope, was offered to him.  Barbatos could not help but smile back. He watched the bottle spin. Was it wrong to hope so eagerly that it would point to him, and that he might kiss Simeon once more? This was a game among friends, after all, regardless of the Young Master's intentions upon suggesting it.

I should not read so far into our first kiss, nor the way he looks at me while he is drunk.

The bottle did not point to him when it stilled. It pointed to Lucifer, sitting to Simeon's right.

"Ah . . ." Simeon managed.

He seemed crestfallen, then seemed to shrink into himself briefly before he forced a smile to his face and turned to Lucifer. Barbatos only allowed a feeling of jealousy to well inside him for a moment before it gave way to a dull ache. It did not appear that Simeon detested the thought of kissing the Avatar of Pride, but the butler had already witnessed the longing held by the angel for his fallen companion.

This game, Barbatos acknowledged for the second time since it began, had the awful potential to push together those who are better off remaining apart.

Lucifer did not respond with the same contempt as he had held at the idea of kissing Solomon, but the set of his brow indicated that he was concerned. That deepened as he faced the angel and gave a single nod, as if indicating that the situation would remain amicable.

Simeon's eyes saddened as he leaned forward. Lucifer met him halfway with his eyes closed. That unsettled the butler as he watched their lips meet.

There was no attempt on Lucifer's part to assert dominance as there had been when he kissed Solomon, nor was it the same soft and gentle kiss Simeon had shared with Barbatos. There was no scraping of teeth, no bruising of lips, no grabbing of hair. It was a familiar kiss, not in the same sense as the kiss Lucifer had shared with Diavolo, but more akin to the kiss Barbatos had shared with Solomon.

That realisation prompted another; perhaps Simeon's longing for Lucifer did not stem from an altogether unrequited love, but from the embers of what once was. After all, Lucifer hailed from the Celestial Realm, and he'd known Simeon back then. They had been close before the war, before the fall.

But how close?

Lucifer broke the kiss, perhaps sensing that the angel could not bring himself to do so. Simeon had the grace to cast his eyes down, though it was difficult for Barbatos to discern if he did that out of shame, regret, or both. There was a heaviness between the angel and the Avatar of Pride. Barbatos was unsure whether his empathy wanted to hide it more than his curiosity wanted to dissect it.

Asmodeus tactfully drew the attention away from Simeon and Lucifer by reaching for the bottle.

"Shall we go around the table again?"

The bottle was already spinning as he asked, and it pointed to Barbatos when it stopped. Asmo's face lit up with delight and he sprang to his feet. The butler barely had a moment to gather his thoughts before he realised.

"Barbie~" Asmodeus sang. He trotted around the table to the butler and straddled his lap before Barbatos could react. "Pucker up, you gorgeous thing!"

A deep laugh sounded from Barbatos due to the familiarity with which Asmodeus approached him. Outside of the context of this game, and without a good deal of demonus in his belly, Barbatos may have been apprehensive about allowing Asmodeus to conduct himself like this in Solomon's presence. Barbatos had allowed the other demon to straddle him on his bed that morning when Asmodeus had asked to do his makeup. However, that was behind closed doors, and the boundary of revisiting their former arrangement of mutually convenient intimacy had not been crossed.

Asmo's eyes were glowing a lustful pink as Barbatos smiled coolly up at him. The butler's hands shifted to grasp the other demon's hips. The enchanting scent of his perfume encased Barbatos. Asmodeus swooped down to take his mouth. The other demon closed his eyes with a pleased hum and allowed his lips to part. Immediately, Asmodeus deepened the kiss.

What surprised Barbatos about the kiss was that it lacked the playfulness that rang in Asmodeus's voice. It was not rough or dominating, but it was demanding and deliberate. The Avatar of Lust drew out their brief make-out longer than Barbatos would have preferred, but he suspected there was a purpose behind how this kiss was unfolding.

Regardless of these subtleties, Barbatos allowed himself to enjoy the kiss. It was their first since the exchange program had begun and would likely be their last as long as Solomon and Asmodeus were primary partners to one another. Asmodeus's nails scraped gently along the side of Barbatos's face until his fingers carded through his hair. He tasted of demonus and peach lip gloss and the cheesecake they'd all eaten for dessert. There was a comfort in the familiarity between he and Asmodeus, but Barbatos still did not fancy playing this particular game again for all the tension it was causing among other participants.

And if we are to go around the table yet again, I can only assume this game will breed more discomfort. 

Asmodeus pulled away with a dramatic sigh. He kept his back to the rest of the table while he remained in Barbatos's lap a moment longer. The butler was the only one who saw the way his eyes became suddenly sad, the way his lips pouted and trembled slightly before he schooled his expression. He was surprised when Asmodeus mouthed the word "Sorry" before forcing a smile across his features and returning to his seat. He hummed a cheery note as he returned to Solomon's other side, but Barbatos knew it must not be genuine. However, it was evident that whatever Asmodeus was upset by, he wished to keep it to himself.

Barbatos gave nothing away to the others of the moment of vulnerability he had witnessed. Instead, he turned his attention to the bottle once more as Solomon sent it spinning, and he pleaded with fate that his ex-lover would not be required to kiss him again.

Tentative relief flooded him when the bottle indicated to Simeon. He watched the angel grant a pleasant smile as Solomon stood from his seat and stepped around to the other side of Asmodeus. That much did not surprise Barbatos. The two had lived together during each term of the exchange program thus far, and the Purgatory Hall trio had become quite a sweet family unit in their own right.

However, as Solomon came to stand in front of the other man, his eyes met Barbatos's across the table and a dark expression crossed his face. The corners of his mouth turned downwards.

Simeon shifted in his seat to turn his body towards the sorcerer. He tried to catch Solomon's eye to grant the courtesy of checking in as both Barbatos and Lucifer had done to him, but before he could do so, the sorcerer grabbed him by the jaw. Simeon's eyes widened in shock as Solomon crashed their mouths together. A distressed and muffled cry escaped the angel. He tried to shrink back in his seat, but Solomon's grip did not loosen to allow such movement. Instead, Solomon deepened the kiss, his eyes closed and his brow furrowed in concentration. He kept his mouth pressed firmly to Simeon's, his tongue forcing its way past the angel's lips. Solomon lapped at the other man's mouth while his fingers remained vice-like at Simeon's jaw.

The air around the table changed immediately. Barbatos felt the dark aura gather around himself as soon as he heard that distressed cry. He could see Simeon's hand pressing back against Solomon's chest—the rough and forceful treatment was clearly unwanted, yet Solomon continued. It only took a moment for Lucifer and Diavolo to realise that any consent that might have been implied by agreeing to participate in the game had been withdrawn, and that Solomon was now forcing himself upon the angel. The pair narrowed their eyes dangerously and emitted a threatening growl in unison, low and chesty. Behind Solomon, Asmodeus rose to his feet, his own aura crackling with Infernal magic.

Solomon pulled away roughly and pinned Barbatos with his gaze. Simeon drew in a shaken breath. His eyes were wide with panic and betrayal. Solomon released the angel's face and stood at his full height, addressing the butler from across the table.

"That's how you do it."

Notes:

This chapter was a longer than I was intending . . . It was about 1,800 words when I started proofreading, but I accidentally added the whole thing about Barbatos and Solomon making their pact and now this chapter is almost 2,500 words. I couldn't help myself! (>.<')

Four kisses, each with very different energy. Let me know your thoughts on each of them and how angry you are at Solomon right now!

Chapter 23

Notes:

Content warning: This chapter refers to non-consensual kissing. Reader discretion is advised.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Barbatos was seething. He clutched his glass of demonus until cracks formed around the bowl, shooting out from beneath his fingertips in webbed patterns. His teeth clenched as he glowered at Solomon. It was unusual that Barbatos felt such rage, such a feral urge to do harm to another, but if it were not for their pact Solomon may well have dropped dead before those words left his mouth. The sorcerer leered across the table as if challenging him. Barbatos could feel the power of the pact holding him in place, urging him to be calm, to regain control, to remain seated—

Asmodeus shattered the bottle.

A stunned silence stretched across the table as everyone turned to the Avatar of Lust. He held the neck of the empty Demonus bottle in one hand, with its jagged edges resting against the table, where the rest of the bottle had smashed. His face was turned down, eyes trained on the shards that littered the tabletop and the floor. Something about the harsh sound of the bottle smashing soothed Barbatos's ire, but it did not subside entirely.

"I think we've played long enough," he snipped.

Asmodeus did not look up from the broken glass in his hand, but his voice was clear.

"Yes, I believe you are right, Asmodeus," Lord Diavolo agreed.

There was authority in the Young Master's tone. It was more than a mere warning. It was a threat.

Meekly, Simeon stood with his head bowed and stepped away from Solomon.

"I think I'll go inside now," he said quietly.

His voice barely carried across the table, but it was enough to draw the butler's attention back to him. He did not look up as he left, did not meet Barbatos's gaze. His shoulders were hunched and he began to wring his wrists. Part of Barbatos wished to go after him, but his anger kept him rooted in place. He counted down in his mind until the door back into the house clicked shut behind Simeon.

Three, two, one—

Click.

Barbatos stood, hands resting on the table as he leaned towards Solomon.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" he hissed.

That drew Solomon's attention away from Asmodeus. He stalked around the table only for Barbatos to meet him half way, behind Asmodeus's chair. The dark aura that permeated the air around Barbatos began to spark.

"What's the matter, Barb? Can't handle a game?"

There was a dark twist in the sorcerer's voice. A lower demon may have found it threatening. Barbatos simply hated how familiar it was. But this was the first time his internal response was a scream for blood. In the past when they had fought, they had raised their voices and sometimes gone as far as grabbing or shaking one another. Until Solomon had harassed him in the kitchen the previous day, Barbatos had never raised a hand to him—not even the day he ended the relationship, when Solomon had broken their ultimate rule. Tonight, he found himself struggling not to strike the sorcerer.

"If this were merely a matter of the game, then I would not be upset, would I?" he asked.

He could feel the building Infernal energy flashing behind his eyes. His fangs prickled behind his lips until he bared them.

"Just admit you have a thing for Simeon and you're jealous I got to kiss him just now."

"Do you hear yourself?" the demon bit back. "This is not about jealousy, Solomon. That would be your own issue, not mine."

"Could it be that you're upset that Simeon got to kiss me?" Solomon chuckled at the idea of his own suggestion, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "You didn't seem upset when Lucifer kissed him after all, but maybe because I'm your ex and you still feel something for me—"

"Christ, Solomon! I do not care if you wish to hold petty grudges against me. You may think whatever across the three realms you damn well like. But keep such things between us. Do not drag others into our mess like that!"

His fingers became elongated. Sharper. Clawed. The pact between them tugged at his insides as a warning. It made his spine ache.

"Why, Barb? What are you so afraid of? That they'll take my side instead of yours? That they'll realise how shallow and cold you are, even when you're not being an oh-so-faithful butler?"

"This is not about me!" he shouted, raising both hands as if to plead with the sky. "Stars above, Solomon, are you truly so wretchedly fixated on upsetting me that you did not consider how what you just did would hurt Simeon?"

A flicker of something crossed the sorcerer's expression. Familiar frown lines appeared on his brow. They were frown lines Barbatos associated with the moments before Solomon realised that he had made a grave error. Barbatos did not allow him a chance to respond.

"Simeon trusted you. He considers you a friend. He probably considers you family, bearing in mind the time you spent living together during the exchange program. But what sort of person forces such a harsh and unwanted kiss upon their friend, Solomon? Could you even recognise how uncomfortable you made him? Could you not feel him trying to pull back and push you away? He did not want it, Solomon. You hurt him."

The purple and green energy that curled in dark smoky wisps around Barbatos crackled as he spoke. He clenched his fists. Claws pressed into the meat of his palm, but if he allowed himself to transform, he did not trust that he would not harm Solomon, even with their pact in place.

And I have forced myself against our pact once before.

But realisation was making the sorcerer's eyes widen. He took a half step back, suddenly disoriented, and snapped his face in the direction Simeon had disappeared.

"No, it was only a game . . ." he said, but it lacked any conviction.

"It stopped being a game the moment you decided to use it as a weapon," Barbatos hissed.

Solomon was already turning away. He stepped past Asmodeus again and moved towards the door into the house.

"No," Barbatos said.

The butler grabbed his cloak and yanked him backwards, then positioned himself between Solomon and the door. A spike of pain shot up his spine as the pact retaliated.

"I need to make sure he's alright," Solomon protested, squaring his shoulders again.

"You need to leave him alone," Barbatos declared. "You are not the one who ought to go after him now, considering your actions. You will only create further discomfort."

Solomon scowled at him. "So, you are jealous."

"No!" Barbatos growled. "Why must you obsess over this idea all of a sudden? I cannot fathom why you cling to this notion. We have been apart for three centuries, Solomon."

"Give me a break, Barbatos!" Solomon shouted, throwing his arms out. "It's been three centuries and you still won't let go of what happened and give me another chance to prove that it can work."

Barbatos pressed the heel of his palm to his forehead and willed himself not to stop time and do something horrific to the sorcerer. But that internal struggle was promptly forgotten when a quiet voice spoke from behind Solomon.

"Am I not enough?"

Asmodeus was not a demon known for his meekness or a lack of self-confidence. So, to hear the Avatar of Lust speak with such a tremble in his voice, and to look upon his face and see how desperately his entire self-worth hinged on the answer to his question was utterly heartbreaking. He had stepped away from his seat and positioned himself between Solomon and a set of steps that descended from the outdoor dining area to the grassy yard. His arms were crossed loosely over his torso as if to hold himself and his shoulders were slumped. Worry knitted his brow in a way that he would normally bemoan as wrinkle-inducing, but the way his honey-pink eyes brimmed with tears indicated that he had greater concerns in that moment.

Solomon whipped around as the demon asked the question, eyes wide and brow furrowed in disbelief. Barbatos's heart froze at the sight of Asmo's quivering lips. He had not witnessed the Avatar or Lust with such a woeful expression before.

". . . Asmo?" Solomon said is name in confusion, turning his body side-on to better look at his lover, without turning away completely from Barbatos.

The tears overflowed from the demon's eyes. He repeated the question in a wavering voice.

"Am I not enough?"

He held eye contact with Solomon for a moment before his gaze dropped to the floor. He took a step back, wobbling slightly in his heels.

"I . . . don't under," Solomon said, shifting his torso a few degrees further towards Asmodeus.

"Solomon . . . I'm right here. I'm right here with you, but these last two days you've been completely caught up chasing after somebody who has already said he doesn't want you. But . . . we are supposed to be together, you and I . . . "

Asmodeus shrank into himself as he spoke. His shoulders hunched around his head, his eyes remained on the floor, and he took another wobbly step back as he held himself a little tighter.

"I'm right here . . . But I'm not enough . . ." He raised his face to meet the sorcerer's gaze. "Why aren't I enough?"

The sight of his friend in such distress made Barbatos feel ill. He dared not move as Solomon blinked stupidly at his lover.

"Princess, that's not—"

"No, don't call me that right now Solomon, don't call me that." Asmodeus dashed the tears from his cheeks with the back of one hand and clenched his fists. "You haven't stopped to think for a damn second how it makes me feel to watch you hounding after somebody else who doesn't want you when I'm right here. You shouldn't need him like this when I'm right in front of you, but these last two days you've barely looked at me unless I made you, Solomon!"

His voice pitched higher as he spoke, shaking and cracking with each word.

"Asmo . . . No, that's not true, of course I pay attention to you, but—"

"Oh, shut up!" Asmo shouted, cutting him off. "All you care about is getting what you want and you just can't stand the idea of Barbatos saying no! But if you cared about him at all, you'd leave him the fuck alone! And if you cared about me, we wouldn't . . . I wouldn't . . ."

His words caught in his throat. He buried his beautiful tearstained face in his hands and wept. At last, Solomon turned towards his lover completely, the fight gone from his body language as he went rigid. 

"Asmo, no, don't— don't cry—"

He stepped towards the demon with a hand outstretched and touched his forearms gently. Asmodeus tore himself away and backed up another two steps.

"No! Don't touch me! You idiot!" Asmodeus wailed, knuckling tears from his eyes. "Just . . . Just leave me alone!"

He turned away with none of his usual elegance. This was no performance. The Avatar of Lust descended to the grassy yard and marched off with his back to the ocean and the beach house, heading for the forest that hid this private abode from the main road.

"Asmodeus! Where are you going?!" Solomon called to his retreating figure, but he remained rooted in place.

They watched Asmodeus disappear into the shadows of the trees without looking back. The warm night air carried the broken and muffled sound of his sobbing back to them. 

Barbatos took a steadying breath and assessed the others. They had both risen from their seats. The Young Master looked distraught as he watched where Asmo had vanishes onto the trees. Beside him, Lucifer was positively livid. Dark red eyes bore into Solomon as the Avatar of Pride grit his teeth.

The butler returned his gaze to his ex-lover. He wanted to smack him upside the head even more for making Asmodeus cry.

Why does he stand there so uselessly?!

He schooled his voice as best he could before he spoke, but his tone was filled with warning.

"Solomon." The inflection forced the sorcerer in question to face him. "If Asmodeus means a damn thing to you . . . If you love him . . . Then you go after him right now and put things right."

He did not shy away from Solomon's gaze as the sorcerer stared back at him. It pleased Barbatos to see him at a loss for words, but it was impossible to relish that satisfaction after watching Asmodeus fall apart. To his relief, Solomon listened. He stepped backwards until he found the handrail. Barbatos matched his steps, shifting forward.

"And don't you dare use your pact with him to attempt to resolve this."

Solomon shook his head, understanding the warning. He would need to handle this properly, lest he lose something precious tonight. Solomon glanced briefly as the other two demons, then rushed down the steps from the verandah and made for the tree line.

"Asmodeus, wait," he called out as he vanished between the thickets.

Barbatos watched the trees for a few moments, then a warm hand on his shoulder drew his attention away. Lord Diavolo stood beside him, and Lucifer had moved to his other side.

"Barb, I'm sorry. This is my fault. I shouldn't have suggested the game," Diavolo said with slumped shoulders. "I just wanted to give you and Simeon a push towards each other, but this went terribly. I'm sorry."

The butler had not seen his master appear so regretful before, or heard such genuine remorse in his tone. The trio glanced out at the trees when a pair of raised voices reached them. Parts of the conversation could be deciphered, but one particularly loud "oh fuck off" from Asmodeus made the prince flinch.

"Would you forgive me if I committed a murder tonight, my love?" Lucifer gritted.

The Young Master sighed and wrapped his arms around his torso.

"I think this is quite enough of a mess without you feeding Solomon to Cerberus, as much as I feel he would deserve it."

Barbatos scoffed.

"I could make it look like an accident," Lucifer said.

Diavolo groaned and looked pleadingly at Barbatos.

"I hope you do not intend on asking me to stop Lucifer," Barbatos said. "He could make it look like an accident."

The Young Lord sighed his defeat and slumped into his seat again. He took up the bottle of demonus he had been pouring from and topped up his own glass and Lucifer's.

"Where is yours, Barb? Help us finish this."

The butler glanced across the table to where his empty glass sat, webbed with cracks from how tightly he'd gripped it in anger after watching Solomon force himself on Simeon. The angel's glass had been abandoned too, still mostly full.

I am doubtful that Simeon will return to continue drinking with us tonight.

He took up Simeon's glass and downed the contents in three gulps, then took the bottle from Diavolo.

"I can pour—" the prince began to protest.

"No," he said firmly, and refilled the glass himself. "I am your butler and I would prefer not to have you pouring drinks for me."

He waited for the argument that Lord Diavolo had used since the two of them had arrived last week, that this was intended to be a vacation for Barbatos, too, and that he ought to relax. But the Young Master remained silent. Barbatos disappeared into the laundry room and returned with a large dustpan and broom to sweep up the broken bottle. He tidied the table they had used for their game and disposed of the glass he had cracked himself. The task kept his focus for a short while, and took the edge off his frustration. But the distraction was gone within minutes. Without it, he became aware of the dull pain along his spine, courtesy of his pact with Solomon warning against attacking his master. He took a seat across from Lord Diavolo and Lucifer and nursed his drink.

After a long silence—or what would have been silence, if not for the distant argument between Solomon and Asmodeus—Lucifer cleared his throat to draw the table's attention. He reclined in his chair and crossed one leg over the other, then regarded the prince and his butler over the rim of his glass.

"Someone should check on Simeon," he stated. "I do not think Diavolo or I are the best person for that."

He gave Barbatos a pointed look. The butler nodded his agreement and finished his demonus.

"I shall find him."

Notes:

This proverbial smackdown is brought to you by the ex Solomon was trying to get back with, and the lover he was taking for granted. Let me know your thoughts on this chapter in the comments.

Chapter 24

Notes:

Content warning: This chapter includes implied alcohol abuse. Reader discretion is advised.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Simeon was not in his bedroom, nor had he joined the group watching Ghosted Elsewhere when Barbatos peeked into the theatre room. He made certain not to disrupt the viewing and closed the door silently. He was grateful for the soundproofed walls; the others could remain oblivious to the upset that had occurred for a little longer, though the butler doubted it would remain a secret for long considering the fallout.

Barbatos continued his search for the angel. The bathrooms were unoccupied, and the formal and casual dining rooms were vacant. Short of checking within the other guest's bedrooms and Diavolo's small study, the only place left inside the house was the kitchen.

The door was ajar, but the lights were switched off. Barbatos entered to find it empty, and stood in the middle of the dark kitchen at a loss.

Perhaps he has gone for a walk . . . I hope he has not become lost. He seemed quite drunk as well as being understandably upset.

A yawn caught him off-guard and he realised how drowsy he was beneath his frustration with Solomon and his concern for Simeon.

Ah, I suppose I have had quite a bit to drink myself . . . And the last two . . . or three . . . were finished in quick succession.

Another sound drew his attention—something that sounded suspiciously like a hiccup on the other side of the door from the kitchen onto the verandah. Barbatos blinked at the door a couple of times, wondering if he had imagined the sound, but then he heard it again. Pushing aside his own tipsiness, he crossed the room and pulled the door open.

A drunk angel tipped backwards over the threshold with a yelp. The butler was equally surprised.

"Ah, I beg your pardon. I did not realise you were sitting back against the door," Barbatos said, assessing the angel on the floor.

Simeon pushed himself back into a sitting position with one arm braced behind him, all the while ensuring the flask held in his other hand remained upright.

"Oh . . . Hello, Barbatos," he said.

He tucked the flask against his chest as if to hide it, seemingly guilty. His shoulders hunched as he dragged his cuffs under his eyes to banish the salty streaks left behind from crying. He lurched somewhat as he shifted along the verandah to lean against the wall instead of the door. When he settled, he took another drink from the flask, scrunching up his face as he swallowed. Barbatos leaned awkwardly in the doorway, rather taken aback by what he was seeing.

"There is plenty of demonus left if you'd like me to make you another drink," he offered, eyeing the flask.

Simeon shook his head and an errant hiccup escaped him.

"Thank you, but I have probably had more than enough as it is," he managed.

The angel's words were somewhat slurred. There was a slight wobble as he held himself up. Barbatos nodded in agreement even as he watched Simeon take another swig.

"May I sit with you?" he tried.

Simeon drew his knees up and sighed as his back pressed against the wall.

"If you would like."

Barbatos hesitated for only a moment before he stepped out onto the verandah properly and closed the kitchen door behind him. The kitchen was on the opposite end of the house to the outdoor dining area, but he still treaded quietly along the wooden planks in case Diavolo and Lucifer were still where he had left them. He settled against the wall beside Simeon with his leg stretched out in front of him. He neatly crossed his ankles.

"What are you drinking?" he enquired, eyeing the flask. 

Simeon stifled another hiccup and held the flask out to the demon.

"Whisky. I think."

"That is quite a broad category," Barbatos chuckled, accepting the offer.

He sniffed at the contents before bringing the flask to his lips and allowing some of the liquid to enter his mouth. A rich and bitter burn coated his tongue and he cringed.

"That would be Scotch whisky. A decidedly low quality one, sadly," he said, handing the flask back to the angel.

Simeon chuckled half-heartedly and took another gulp for himself.

"That explains the way you tasted when we kissed earlier," Barbatos said, unthinkingly.

He stiffened at his own words. Simeon's cheeks looked darker, but that may well have been from the alcohol. Still, Barbatos saw the trace of a small smile tugging the angel's lips.

"I didn't realise you could taste it," Simeon murmured.

"It tasted better on you," Barbatos admitted, then press a palm to his forehead. "My apologies, I do not mean to cause you discomfort. I seem to be a little drunk myself."

"It's alright," Simeon assured, though his voice seemed distant.

It did little to dispel the demon's embarrassment. Simeon took another mouthful and screwed up his face.

"Why in the Devildom are you drinking that?"

Simeon shrugged without looking at him.

"I guess I've developed a taste for Human Realm alcohol since I've been living there."

Barbatos gave him an inquisitive look.

"You certainly do not appear to be enjoying that," he stated.

The liquid in the flask sloshed quietly as the angel tilted it from side to side. He made no response. Barbatos frowned as the concerns he had harboured for the angel since yesterday gripped his insides. He spoke gently, watching the angel's face.

"Simeon? Are you alright?"

A tight smile pulled across the angel's face.

"Of course! I'm just worn out from today and now I've drank too much."

He barked a laugh, but it was so disingenuous that it almost sounded sarcastic. Barbatos frowned. The smile was forced. There was a quiver in the angel's voice, only somewhat hidden by the way his words slurred. Simeon took another sip from the flask and swiped at a tear that escaped down his cheek. He glanced at the butler's dubious expression and understood that Barbatos was not prepared to accept such a dismissal.

"I didn't like that game much by the end."

He opened his mouth to continue, then shook his head. Barbatos spoke instead.

"The game turned out quite awful, I must agree. Solomon had no right to do that to you." 

Simeon furrowed his brow at his hands.

"I wasn't expecting him to be so . . . rough with me. I don't know if the fact he was doing it to upset you makes it worse or better. I guess it doesn't really matter. Either way, it wasn't very nice."

"No, it was not. I am deeply sorry that you were pulled into the pettiness between myself and Solomon. You did not deserve that."

Simeon shrugged. He stretched his legs out in front of himself, matching Barbatos's posture. He took another drink.

"I cannot imagine it was entirely pleasant for you to kiss Lucifer, either. I have seen the way you look at him," Barbatos said carefully. 

The angel tilted his head back against the wall with a heavy sigh.

"It doesn't matter. It's old love. I already know he won't let me back in."

"Back?" Barbatos repeated. "Were you lovers in the Celestial Realm?"

There was a long silence.

Perhaps I should not have presumed to ask that question.

Simeon folded his arms around himself. He answered slowly.

"I'm not sure what we were. I thought we were lovers, at least in secret. We spent time together the way lovers do. We kissed when others weren't looking and sometimes we held each other at night. But then he started a rebellion and the Great Celestial War began. And I . . . I did not fight alongside him."

"I imagine that complicated the relationship."

Simeon hummed a sad agreement, swishing the liquid in the flask. The vessel sounded near empty.

Was it full at the start of the night? Surely not.

After some more quiet thought, Simeon continued.

"I was assigned as Luke's guardian. The Celestial Father was still making him. I'd wanted to raise a new angel myself for a long time, and I found out just as the rebellion began that my application had been approved. I . . . I never got to tell Lucifer. I never got to explain why I didn't fight alongside him. It all happened so fast, but suddenly I had a child and the idea of abandoning him before the Celestial Father had even finished bringing him into existence just . . . I couldn't."

The angel slurred his words and rambled through the explanation with trembling lips. Barbatos felt his heart clench as he listened.

"That sounds like it was a truly difficult decision," he intoned.

Simeon sniffed.

"I hate myself for that choice sometimes," he hissed. "But I've never regretted it. I was given the news just as the war was starting and I believe there was a reason for that. It was a sign that I was meant to raise Luke."

For a brief moment, Simeon's eyes were alight with certainty. They were a bright celestial blue, filled with moonlight. But they dimmed again as his tone softened.

"As soon as I knew Luke was to be mine, I knew that I loved him and that I'd do anything for him. How could I turn my back on him? But that meant I had to turn my back on Lucifer instead, even though I agreed with his cause. To him, it was a betrayal. I don't think he will ever completely forgive me for it. And I know he will never want me as a lover again. He barely lets me close enough to be his friend now."

He spoke the last of those words with a broken tone, brimming with sorrow. He considered the flask again and took another mouthful, groaning as he made himself swallow.

Barbatos allowed silence to settled as he processed the grief conveyed in Simeon's revelation.

Although I did suspect that Simeon and Lucifer had once been lovers, I was not aware of the extent of the circumstances in which they had parted ways.

He considered the angel a moment longer and chose his words carefully as he spoke.

"While I imagine the history you and Lucifer share has dragged up some complicated feelings tonight, I believe that you have not been your usual self since you arrived yesterday."

Simeon's expression soured. The corners of his mouth turned downwards.

"Can we talk about something else?" he asked.

Barbatos did not allow his disappointment to show. He had at least garnered some context for the angel's melancholy, which was more than he knew before.

But if he does not wish to discuss other aspects, I had best not press the matter at this time.

"My apologies. I did not mean to pry. I have just been concerned."

Simeon turned his face towards the demon with a rueful smile.

"Cheer me up instead."

It took Barbatos a moment to gather himself once their eyes met. Simeon's irises lacked their usual brightness, presumably because he was upset, and his gaze seemed unfocused due to his drink. He searched his own alcohol-clouded mind for a new topic, and a smile tugged his lips.

"I have just the thing," he declared.

Retrieving his D.D.D., Barbatos clicked the icon for his photo gallery. Most of the images were poorly executed selfies with the Young Master—which Diavolo had taken with Barbatos's phone—and photographs of the various meals and desserts the butler had made. He clicked on the most recent photograph in the camera roll and angled the screen for Simeon to see.

The photograph Barbatos had taken of Luke earlier that evening was indeed the perfect way to make Simeon smile. His eyes widened and brightened at the sight of Luke's adorable face and his little blue tongue stuck out at the camera. A genuine grin swept across the older angel's face and he laughed like music. The sound of it made the demon's heart swell. Barbatos found himself smiling at the sight of Simeon's expression as he let the angel take the phone from his hand.

"Oh look at him! Adorable!" Simeon laughed, holding the device far too close to his face. "How do I zoom in? Can you send this to me? Oh dear, what did I do? The screen went black . . ."

Barbatos chuckled and took his D.D.D. back.

"It seems you pressed the lock-screen button while you were holding it. I shall send you the picture now. However, Luke was quite embarrassed when I showed him the photograph, so I have promised not to share it with anyone but yourself."

The message came through a moment later on the angel's device. Grinning, he opened the message and fumbled about in an attempt to make it his phone background. Barbatos leaned close to help when Simeon failed to navigate the settings for a third time. The butler had not intended to press himself against the angel's body, but the warmth that radiated through the material of his shirt was pleasant, and the night air was cool. He did not register that they were leaning into each other's shoulders until he successfully set the photo of Luke as Simeon's phone background and felt the other man's soft hair press against his neck as his head lulled to one side.

"Thank you," Simeon murmured.

The angel wrapped his hand around the D.D.D., trapping Barbatos's fingers beneath the gentle pressure of his own. The sensation of Simeon's eyelashes kissing at the side of his neck made the butler hold his breath.

This is . . . comfortable. Perhaps he and I could stay like this a little longer tonight.

The night air was sweet in their lungs, with the rough scent of bad Human Realm alcohol warm on Simeon's breath. They looked out across the grassy yard together, past the clothesline where they'd hung towels and swimmers that afternoon. Beyond the empty clothesline, the ocean roared quietly and lapped the sand. The tide was high. They could not see the sand between where the staircase down to the beach dipped away and where the water began. The sky was clear above the ocean, and both stretched into the distance as far as the eye could see until they kissed upon the horizon. Barbatos was hesitant to move, but after a few minutes of quiet, he spread his fingers beneath Simeon's and coaxed the angel to do the same. The phone dropped into Simeon's lap as their fingers laced together. Barbatos felt drowsy from the demonus, but the thought of moving felt like an offense. He remained still, save for his fluttering heart.

Notes:

This chapter honestly gave me so many feelings while I was writing. Angst and fluff are holding hands, and so are Simeon and Barbatos. Also, oops my finger slipped and I gave you more character backstory—

Let me know what you thought in the comments! Thank you so much for reading!

Chapter 25

Notes:

Content warning: This chapter includes puke and mentions past accidental partner injury. Reader discretion is advised.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Barbatos closed the door as quietly as possible when he entered the room, locking it behind him before turning to Simeon. He had only been gone long enough to double back to the kitchen for a glass of water, which he offered to the angel as he returned to his side. Simeon managed a quiet thanks as he accepted the glass and sipped at the contents, while Barbatos turned his attention to the door.

There were certain things one ought to not do while under the influence, and magic was one of them. But the hour was late, and it seemed the others had gone to bed while the pair had been out on the verandah. Therefore, despite having consumed enough demonus to make him quite drowsy, Barbatos very carefully placed a silencing spell over the room. It would not do for the two of them to wake the others, after all. He was certain that Simeon would prefer not to draw anyone's attention.

Satisfied with his work, he returned his attention to Simeon, who was kneeling on the floor. He stepped towards the angel, who took another sip from the glass of water before placing it down.

"How are you feeling?" Barbatos asked as he knelt beside Simeon.

He carded his fingers through the angel's hair to pull the strands back from his face.

"Like I never want to drink whisky again," Simeon groaned.

He let Barbatos take the glass off him and leaned over the toilet bowl again as his stomach threatened to turn itself out. The butler placed a soothing hand on his back.

"Had I realised that you were on your second flask, I would have stopped you immediately," Barbatos said. "If you were human, I would be even more concerned."

Simeon made a strangled sound, somewhere between a laugh and a sob. He groaned again and swallowed at the heavy feeling in his throat. Barbatos soothed him again.

"Is there anything else you need?" he asked.

A violent hiccup erupted from the angel's throat, but there was no follow-through. He swallowed hard again before responding.

"Will you stay with me a little longer?" he asked.

There was a meekness in his voice that Barbatos was not expecting.

Unpleasant things have happened this evening and he has had too much drink. Now he feels ill on top of whatever is troubling him. It is of little surprise that his emotions seem unbalanced.

"I shall stay," he agreed.

"Thank you . . . Will you keep talking to me? I—" He cut himself off with a groan and waited for the wave of nausea to pass. "I need a distraction from my stomach."

Barbatos nodded, though the angel was focused on the toilet bowl.

"What shall I talk about to take your mind off this?"

Simeon coughed a couple of times. The butler offered the glass of water again. After the angel took a sip, he took a deep breath.

"I'm curious . . ." he started, hesitating. "I didn't know you and Solomon had dated."

"Oh . . . Well, it was quite a long time ago."

"Can I ask why the two of you broke up?" Simeon asked, peeking over his shoulder.

Barbatos issued a reluctant sigh and adjusted his position on the floor so that he was sat on his buttocks instead of kneeling.

"The first time or the second time?" he asked with a wry smirk.

The angel gave a bark of laughter and Barbatos chuckled.

"It began a few centuries after we forged our pact," Barbatos continued. "We had grown quite fond of each other over the years. The first time lasted less than a year if I am not mistaken. I felt rather shallow for my reason for ending the relationship, but I think you are familiar with the monstrosities he produces in the kitchen."

Simeon cringed and lurched over the toilet bowl.

"Don't remind me . . . I'm trying to stop feeling sick."

Barbatos chuckled and continued rubbing slow circles across Simeon's back. The warmth of his skin still radiated through the fabric of his shirt and he enjoyed the feeling of the bumps and ridges of his spine and shoulder blades. Simeon emitted a weak laugh.

"You broke up with Solomon because of his cooking," he summarised, allowing his shoulders to shake. "That's hilarious."

"Neither of us thought so at the time. I was simply astounded every time he placed a dish in front of me. However, he refused to believe that his culinary skills were so abysmal and insisted that I was a fussy eater, which I did not take kindly to. So, that was that. But sometime later we decided to try again, on the proviso that he would not attempt to cook for me under any circumstances."

"And he agreed to that condition?" Simeon asked, smiling despite the way his head was spinning.

"Reluctantly, yes. And I held him to that promise, though it was not the only rule we chose to implement."

Simeon slowly straightened his back and reached for the glass of water again. He took a few sips and then kept the glass in his hand.

"What else was there?"

"An agreement regarding the usage of our pact," Barbatos said. "We already had rules in place prior to any romantic relationship, namely that he would not command me to do anything that would be regarded as treason against the crown, or anything that would compromise my service to Lord Diavolo. But as our relationship became more serious, we discussed further rules. He would only summon me without prior agreement if absolutely necessary, and he would ask me to do things rather than issue a command. We agreed that he would not command me to do anything I would not do willingly. If I said no, that was final."

Simeon wiped at the corner of his mouth with the cuff of his sleeve and drank more water.

"That all seems quite reasonable for a serious relationship. You set some mature boundaries."

"Indeed. And I believed that he respected those boundaries. It was . . . It was a good relationship. We were together for a little over a decade. Despite residing in separate realms, we met often around our separate schedules and we made each other happy."

It felt strange admitting that, especially given the anger Solomon had caused him tonight. Barbatos found it difficult to reconcile that the person who he had been so enamoured with three centuries earlier was the same man who had left him incensed by the end of this evening's party game. He recalled what Asmodeus had said that morning, while doing his makeup—that Barbatos was still in love with Solomon. He already knew that Asmodeus was incorrect, but the butler's heart still clenched at the bead of truth he had come to realised. He was not still in love with the sorcerer at the beach house tonight; he was in love with a memory of the man from several human lifetimes ago.

The angel shifted to sit cross-legged on the floor. He wobbled in place and threatened to tip backwards without the gentle pressure of Barbatos's hand between his shoulder blades to steady him. Simeon spoke softly.

"So, what went wrong?"

Barbatos gave a tight smile to cover the pain in his chest.

I have had too much to drink. I should not be so affected by ancient heartache.

"One day he asked me to live with him," Barbatos explained. "He wished for me to reside with him in the Human Realm. He wanted the togetherness of sharing a home." He paused, letting his mind linger on that memory. "However, as you can imagine, that would compromise my ability to serve Lord Diavolo. When I pointed this out, he urged me to leave the Young Master's service, as if that would resolve the problem."

"Ah . . ."

"I declined his request. Solomon was not pleased with my answer and deigned to persuade me. We bickered about it for months. He knew what my service to Lord Diavolo meant to me, yet he refused to accept that I would not live with him."

"He wouldn't take no for an answer . . ." Simeon said, disappointed.

"Unfortunately not. Somewhere along the way, I suppose I began to resent him. The joy I had once felt with him was overshadowed by his insistence on changing my mind. I believe there was a point where he realised that I would not soften my resolve, and after that we fought even more. The final straw was when he attempted to command me."

The angel's eyes widened at the revelation.

"He broke your rule . . ."

Barbatos nodded once.

"That rule was not being enforced through magic. We had not altered our initial pact. It was an agreement made willingly between lovers as a sign of trust. So, when he spoke that command, it was a sinister betrayal in my eyes."

Simeon hiccupped and screwed up his face, then took another sip of water.

"How did you . . . Get out of that?" He made an abstract gesture with his glass.

Barbatos hummed and clasped his free hand around the glass of water to prevent Simeon from spilling it on himself.

"Solomon is a powerful sorcerer. I would go as far as to say that he is the most powerful sorcerer. But I am an ancient and powerful demon, too. It is difficult for any demon to resist a command from a master they have forged a pact with. Struggling against that sort of magic can tear a demon apart, if the magic does not completely overpower their will to begin with. Solomon had not anticipated that I would take such a risk. However, I was not prepared to give him that sort of control over me. Not when it was in violation of our entire relationship."

The words left Barbatos's mouth with a bitter edge. Simeon leaned closer, still off balance. Concern danced in his bleary blue eyes as he swept his gaze along Barbatos's form in search of signs of injury.

"Were you hurt?"

The butler granted a wry smile.

"It began to tear me open. It was very painful. The moment Solomon realised that I was resisting, he willed the command away and tended to the wounds that had already been inflicted. He knew he had gone too far. He kept apologising while he healed me, promising he would never do such a thing again. However, I believe he knew that we could not remain lovers after that. I would have left immediately if I had the strength, but I needed rest first. The next day I told him it was over and I returned to the Devildom. We did not speak again for years."

Simeon put a hand in front of his mouth, horrified.

"I had no idea . . ."

"It was over three centuries ago now. When we reconnected, we talked through what had happened and agreed to leave it behind us. We moved forward and eventually grew to be friends. But I made it clear that I would not be his lover again. After all, the physical harm he had caused me was not intentional, but the betrayal of my trust was."

Simeon frowned, shoulders slumping. His eyes slid in and out of focus as he processed this story. After a long silence, Barbatos cleared his throat.

"Has the nausea subsided?" he prompted.

"Oh . . . Yes, I think so." He tucked his legs beneath himself and turned to Barbatos properly. "I thought Solomon was somebody I could trust. I have considered him a friend since the exchange program first began, but knowing all of this . . ."

"Until yesterday, I had no reason to doubt that he had learned from his past mistakes. His unfortunate behaviour tonight seems to have prompted a timely reminder that he cannot always have what he wants and that his actions have consequences which he may not desire."

A warm hand slid over Barbatos's. It was a comforting sensation to have Simeon's skin against his own like that.

"I'm sorry that happened. The game we played tonight must have been especially awful for you, having to kiss Solomon again."

Barbatos cringed at the recollection.

"I have decided that I rather despise that particular party game."

Simeon chuckled. Barbatos watched his face, but the angel was looking down at their hands. His lips were tugged into a gentle smile, his cheeks rosy. There was a shyness about his expression that distracted the butler from the heaviness of his failed romance with Solomon.

"There was one good thing about that game," Simeon said.

Barbatos raised an eyebrow and smirked despite himself.

"Oh? And what might that be?"

Celestial blue eyes lifted to meet his gaze and the butler's heart skipped into his throat for a moment. The angel's face looked so sweet. So gentle. So close.

"I finally got to kiss you," he said, tilting his head.

Barbatos blushed. He could not deter the smile that pinched at his cheeks as he stared back at the angel. His eyes flitted down to Simeon's lips for a moment. His pulse quickened as the angel leaned closer. In the space of a second, Simeon suddenly pulled back and covered his mouth with one hand. He did not turn back to the toilet bowl fast enough. A violent hiccup jolted him as his stomach lurched. Barbatos's back went rigid as the angel puked all over his shirt.

 

Notes:

HA! I mislead you TWICE this chapter. Hehehe~

Tell me what you thought of the Barbackstory with Solomon though. I hope you enjoyed this angst sandwich made with deception bread. Thank you for reading!

Chapter 26

Notes:

Continuing immediately on from the previous chapter . . .

Content warning: This chapter includes puke and references to self-harm. Reader discretion is advised.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

"Barb . . ." Simeon rasped. "Oh, oh no . . ."

Barbatos grabbed him by the shoulders and helped him back to the toilet bowl as Simeon started to gag again. He threw up some more while the butler ignored the sick that was soaking into his clothes. Once the angel's stomach was empty, his shoulders began to shake.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" Simeon sobbed without turning around.

He chanted those words again and again, but Barbatos simply hushed him and rubbed circles along his back.

"It's alright, Simeon," he sighed.

The angel continued go cry and apologise, but his words were still slurred and he was having trouble staying upright. Barbatos carefully pulled him back from the toilet bowl to assess the splatter damage. Simeon had certainly not escaped the initial hurl; it was all over his shirt too, especially along the sleeve of the hand he had used to cover his mouth. His face was tearstained and blotchy and his head kept drooping as if it were too heavy for his neck. After a minute, his crying settled into errant sobs and sniffles and his repeated apology trailed off.

". . . 'm s'rry . . . 'm . . . s'rry . . ."

Barbatos took the angel's weight as he seemed to give up on attempting to keep himself upright. Simeon slumped against the demon, his eyes closing and struggling to open again.

"I was not expecting you to black out like this," Barbatos said. "Simeon, we need to get you cleaned up before you fall asleep. Can you open your eyes for me?"

Simeon turned his face to press against Barbatos's neck. The demon could feel the itchy warmth of tears leaking against his skin.

" . . . Sshhhould. . . 've . . . ssstayed . . . In the—" He was cut off by a hiccup. ". . . Human R-Realm . . ."

Barbatos forced a tight smile.

"You are far more affected by your drink than I have come to expect from you. Perhaps because you drank so quickly?"

There was a nervous edge to the question. This was not right. While Barbatos was not surprised that his friend had made himself ill from how much he had drunk, the severity was disproportionate for an angel. Simeon was struggling to remain conscious. Barbatos was relieved that he seemed to have finished vomiting at least.

"Simeon, I think it would be best if we cleaned up now. I am going to undress you so we can wash your clothes, alright?" Barbatos said, feeling his cheeks heat at his own words.

Now is not the time to be embarrassed or timid. He needs to be taken care of. And we both need a shower.

Simeon managed to nod his head, but he had fallen oddly silent. Barbatos unbuttoned the angel's shirt and the cuffs of his sleeves, hiding his cringe behind a tight smile when he felt the sick against his fingers. He made sure Simeon remained upright as he peeled the shirt back off his arms. The cuffs still got caught around his wrists as the sleeves inverted, and Barbatos let the angel slump against him again as he reached for his hands to tug the fabric away.

The sight of Simeon's bare wrists made his heart plummet into his gut. Barbatos froze, assessing the limbs with a held breath before he realised that Simeon had passed out properly. He exhaled a shaky breath as he returned his attention to Simeon's forearms.

"Oh, Simeon . . ." He let his fingertips travel along the angel's wrist, feeling the scars beneath his touch. "What have you done?"

There were too many for this to be anything but deliberate self-harm. The lines were straight across the width of his wrists and forearms. Some had been deep. One shallow cut was quite fresh, not presently bleeding but the skin was still raised and angry. The sight made Barbatos want to be sick more than the vomit on his shirt ever could.

I knew something was troubling him, but I did not suspect such an extent.

He tilted the angel's face back from where it rested against his neck. Simeon's eyes remained closed, but his breathing appeared normal. The demon slid his thumb over the meat of the angel's cheek.

"Whatever it is that has caused you such pain, tomorrow we shall talk about it," he said firmly.

Simeon's eyes did not open. Barbatos was quite sure sleep had taken hold. He shook the angel by the shoulder and watery blue eyes blinked open.

"Barb . . . Mmrm s'rry. . ." he managed. "It's all . . . Spinn'n' . . ."

Barbatos smiled tightly and pushed away the concern about what he had discovered.

One thing at a time. He needs to be cleaned up and taken care of tonight. He is not in any state for me to interrogate him about his troubles. 

Barbatos spoke quietly to let Simeon know what he was doing before he did so. There was guilt in his chest for undressing the angel while he was inebriated, but it would not do to leave him in soiled clothes. Once Simeon was naked, Barbatos lay him on his side. He looked down at his own clothes with a grimace and disrobed. Thankfully, they had worn most of the sick that had not been directed to the toilet bowl, so there was little to wipe up. Barbatos left the room very briefly to place their clothes in one of the washing machines. Thankfully, the laundry was right across from the bathroom—Barbatos was not accustomed to walking through the beach house without his clothes on, and certainly not while there were guests. He placed another silencing spell on the laundry room so that the machine would not disturb anyone's rest, then returned quickly to Simeon.

Simeon was crying quietly when he entered the bathroom again. He had curled in on himself, knees bent towards his chest. It was a sobering sight for Barbatos. He found himself wishing to simply hold Simeon, gently stroke a hand along his back and smooth his hair out of his face and whisper words of comfort to him. However, he knew that would not be sufficient. Barbatos started the shower and once the temperature was right, he carefully lifted the angel and carried him in. They sat on the shower floor together, their backs against the wall. Simeon seemed to be dipping in and out of consciousness, so Barbatos washed them both and made sure the angel remained upright.

Barbatos would be lying if he claimed that his eyes did not attempt to wander. He lathered soap along Simeon's naked chest and his abdomen and along his arms and thighs. Even blacked out after making himself sick with drink, there was no way the demon could deny that Simeon was breathtaking. He washed the soap away, ensuring that neither his hands nor his eyes ventured disrespectfully. That would not do.

However, he could not help looking at the angel's wrists again once he was satisfied that they were both clean.

It is little wonder you have been covering yourself with long sleeves despite the warm weather. But what could have brought you to do something so unkind to yourself?

"Barbatos?"

The angel's voice drew his attention back to his face. His eyes were still glassy with drink, but he was trying to focus on the demon.

"I'm sorry," he said again. "I'm sorry I'm . . . s-such a bother and . . . ruined your night . . ."

Simeon lurched towards him and Barbatos carefully held him upright. He tucked the angel's head beneath his chin, letting his face rest against his chest. He resumed rubbing gentle circles along Simeon's back as he spoke.

"You did not ruin my night, Simeon."

Simeon made a sound somewhere between a sob and a laugh.

"But I puked on you . . . "

Barbatos grimaced at the reminder.

"You are not the first being to throw up on me. And I doubt you will be the last. I assure you, you were not the one to ruin the evening for me."

He smiled wryly to himself when Simeon groaned as if to say that he remained unconvinced.

"I did learn something just now, though," Barbatos continued, wishing to lighten the mood.

"Mm?"

"I learned that angel vomit is no different to demon vomit."

He waited for the musical sound of Simeon's laughter, but the humour seemed to fall flat. There was a strangely heavy silence as the shower water rained down on them. Barbatos began to suspect that his companion had fallen asleep. His breathing had slowed to that steady, peaceful rhythm. But then he spoke in a quiet, sad tone.

"Can I tell you a terrible thing?"

There was a timidity and vulnerability behind the words that gave Barbatos a sense of foreboding.

"What might that be?" he prompted.

There was another long pause. And this time he was certain that Simeon had fallen asleep, but he dared not move. At last, Simeon spoke again, barely audible over the patter of the water around them. And the words he said were indeed so terrible that Barbatos thought his heart may freeze.

"I'm not an angel anymore."

Notes:

Soooooooo let me know what you thought of this chapter . . .

[Leaves the tissue box here and runs]

Chapter 27

Notes:

Content warning: This chapter includes depictions of excessively drunk behaviour and references to self-harm. Reader discretion is advised.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

"I'm not an angel anymore."

Barbatos's mind was racing as Simeon's words washed over him. He kept the other man supported against him as they remained sat on the shower floor together. He shivered despite the warmth of the water raining down on them and the steam that rose back up from the tiles.

"Simeon, what do you mean?" he asked after a long moment.

The other man did not respond. Barbatos could still feel his breath fanning against his shoulder where his head was resting. He cupped Simeon's face and tilted it to confirm that he was unconscious. Tucking Simeon's head back against his shoulder, Barbatos secured his hold on the other man's body and pressed back against the shower wall. He kept Simeon's face out of the stream of water from the shower head and carded damp hair back from his eyes. The sensation of the other man's hair between his fingers was comforting, but it did little to subdue the rising panic that made him want to turn out his stomach.

"What do you mean, that you are not an angel anymore?" he murmured to himself. "How can that be?"

He considered that he may have misheard Simeon, or that Simeon may have misspoken. If he had fallen, as Luke had dreamed two nights ago, there would be no hiding such a thing. The process would have sent him plummeting to the Devildom like a comet, as had happened to Lucifer and his brothers-in-arms in the aftermath of the Great Celestial War. The corruption of his Celestial essence would have drawn Barbatos and Diavolo to his presence there, and they would have watched over him during his transition from angel to demon, and brought him under the crown's protection as a new citizen of the Devildom . . . assuming he survived the violent and painful change.

No, I am quite certain that Simeon has not become a demon. Even if he were to do the impossible and somehow hide his fall from the crown prince, I sense no Infernal magic within him.

He felt for the other man's Celestial magic instead, taking a deep breath of humid air as he carded fingers through Simeon's locks again. His hair was soft and there was something reassuring about feeling the damp strands between his fingers while he pieced together the puzzle. His hand paused its movement when a worrying realisation struck him.

I cannot sense any Celestial magic within him either, which can only mean . . .

He detested the way it all suddenly made sense. He loathed that he had not come to this conclusion prior to Simeon's drunk, half-conscious confession, when the signs had been so apparent.

Simeon and Luke moved to the Human Realm shortly after the last term of the exchange program and set up a café—a long-term commitment. I thought nothing of it since Lord Diavolo also does business in the Human Realm, but perhaps the true reason behind Luke and Simeon's move to the Human Realm is . . .

Barbatos had been painfully aware of the quiet sadness that seemed to cloak Simeon since he arrived, from the way his smiles did not touch his eyes to the unguarded melancholy expressions when he thought no one was watching.

He did not bring any of his Celestial Realm clothes to wear during this trip, and his endurance against the elements and physical activity has been comparatively low. How could I not have seen what this meant sooner?

Barbatos reflected on this collection of odd things he had noticed over the last two days, and considered what more he could add to the list as of this evening.

He barely drank any Demonus, but secretly became drunk on Human Realm alcohol. Demonus affects demons and angels, but it does not affect humans. If he is not a demon, but he is no longer an angel, then Simeon is . . . human.

This conclusion made sense in all the worst ways. But the pieces of the puzzle fit together perfectly, and now that Barbatos had lain them out and pressed them into one another, he could not dismantle what he had discovered. The butler reached for one of Simeon's hands and gently pulled it up to inspect his marred wrist. His heart squeezed in discomfort at the sight of all those scars.

I imagine this is what drove him to harm himself. I cannot fathom the pain he must be feeling if what I have deduced is true.

He lowered Simeon's arm and resumed stroking his damp hair. The other man was still unconscious, but the steady rise and fall of his chest and the warmth of his breath fanning against Barbatos's skin was an assurance that he was alright.

"How did this happen to you, Simeon?" he whispered. "That is what I still do not understand."

The other man did not stir, but he shivered against the butler and curled closer to the warmth of the demon's skin. The water from the shower did seem cooler than before, now that Barbatos drew his attention to it. He wondered how long they had been sitting together under the stream.

"Let us get you dried and safely to bed."

Barbatos reached for the tap and closed off the water. As he got to his feet, he struggled to keep Simeon upright as his own head spun from a combination of Demonus, exhaustion, and steam from the shower. He was momentarily glad that Simeon was not conscious to see him just about fall on top of him while they were both naked. Reassessing his options, Barbatos knelt in front of Simeon and gently shook his shoulders.

"Simeon, are you able to wake up?" he asked, keeping his voice gentle.

Simeon's eyes slowly blinked open after a little more shaking. He groaned and shielded his eyes from the bathroom light.

"Come now, I need you to stand."

He took both of Simeon's hands in his own and managed to pull them both upright. Stepping out of the shower together, Barbatos resorted to a demon form transformation to use his tail to extract four towels from the cupboard while he helped Simeon remain balanced without toppling over himself. He managed to wrap a towel around Simeon's waist and one around his own while Simeon went through erratic cycles of silence and then giggling.

He had to make Simeon sit down on the floor so that he could dry his hair. He knelt behind the other man, feeling shaky on his knees with Simeon's weight resting against him. Concentration brought a frown to his brow, but Barbatos felt his lips twitch with amusement as he ruffled Simeon's hair with a towel, which prompted another fit of giggles.

"What is it that you find so amusing?" he asked.

He placed a hand on Simeon's shoulder to keep them both steady while he continued massaging the water out of his hair with the towel.

"Hehehe . . . Barbatos . . . Hehehe . . ."

Simeon tilted his head back to grin broadly up at the demon, his eyes still glassy and red from how much he had drunk and how much he had cried. At least he appeared to be in better spirits again.

"Yes, Simeon?"

"Barbatos . . . Hehehe . . . You're naked . . . Hehehe!"

Barbatos's entire face flushed crimson.

"Indeed, I am," he said, stiffly.

Simeon erupted with laughter. It was bright and unreserved, and despite his embarrassment Barbatos found himself laughing along too. He was glad he had taken the liberty of placing a silencing spell over the room when they first closed themselves in together. If Simeon's earlier crying and puking had not roused anyone, his musical laughter would have. It felt wrong for Barbatos to smile when he had just discovered something so devastating, but each note of joy that shook Simeon's shoulders made his heart soar.

Once Simeon's amusement settled, and Barbatos bid his own embarrassment away, Barbatos finished drying the other man's hair. He made sure Simeon's back was supported against the door so that he would not topple over and injure himself while Barbatos dried his own hair with another towel. He kept his tail wrapped around Simeon's torso for good measure.

They ventured out of the bathroom once Barbatos adjusted the towels around their middles. The butler still felt off balance, and having most of Simeon's weight leaning on his shoulders as he guided the drunk man back to his bedroom did not ease that feeling. He remained in demon form to ensure they would not lose their towels along the way, though Simeon's still threatened to fall before they reached his bedroom.

Once inside, Barbatos closed the door. Simeon suddenly lurched away from him. Barbatos kept his tail wrapped around Simeon's waist, holding his towel in place as he was dragged along. For a moment, the butler feared that Simeon would hurl once more. But instead, Simeon stumbled towards his bed and flopped face-down onto the pillow, unwittingly yanking Barbatos down with him as the butler lost his footing. Barbatos landed with his chest pressed to Simeon's back. A confused whine was emitted from the man beneath him.

"My apologies, did I hurt you?" he checked, pushing himself upright.

Simeon shook his head, but kept his face down in the pillow. Relieved, Barbatos uncoiled his tail from around Simeon's waist and stood awkwardly at his bedside, keeping his own towel clutched around his waist. Folded on the dresser, he spotted the tracksuit and long shirt Simeon had slept in the night before and gathered them up.

"Allow me to help you dress now," Barbatos said.

He coaxed Simeon to turn over and averted his gaze when the man complied, but lost his towel along the way. The heat rose to Barbatos's cheeks again. He peeked at Simeon from the corner of his eye and saw his eyes were closed as if half asleep. His brow was furrowed and he curled his knees up to his chest as he turned to lay on his side. Barbatos sighed and tried again.

"If you sit up, I shall help you dress."

"Don't wanna," Simeon murmured. "Too warm for pants."

Barbatos blinked at him. He considered being more insistent, but if the other man was not prepared to cooperate, an attempt to dress him would not be so easy in Barbatos's current state. A yawn caught him by surprise. Simeon's bed looked inviting, especially with the naked man curled up against the mattress, looking so vulnerable. The notion of remaining with Simeon for the night occurred to him, but he dismissed it with a tut of reprimand directed at himself.

"You . . . You do not wish to wear pants?" he checked, focused again on Simeon's care.

"No pants," Simeon mumbled, nuzzling his face against the pillow. "Just the blanket."

"I see . . ." Barbatos nodded, setting the clothes back on the dresser.

Hesitantly, he stepped towards the bed and pulled the damp towel out from under Simeon. He folded it in half and draped it over the edge of the dresser, then pulled the blankets up over Simeon. He tucked them over his shoulder, watching as the furrow in his brow smoothed away at the gentle weight that covered him. Fluffy dark hair tickled at Simeon's cheeks, still damp, and Barbatos found himself carding his fingers through the locks once more.

"Mmm . . ." Simeon sighed in contentment, a small smile upon his lips. "Feels nice . . ." he murmured.

The butler's heart skipped a beat. He kept his digits threaded through Simeon's hair, fingertips dragging softly against his scalp.

"Are you certain that you will be warm enough like this?" Barbatos murmured in question.  

"Mhm," Simeon confirmed.

"Very well. As long as you are comfortable, I shall leave you to your rest now."

Barbatos began to pull his fingers away from Simeon's hair, but a warm hand latched onto his wrist and celestial blue eyes flew wide open. The sadness that filled them left an ache in the butler's chest. He glanced at Simeon's fingers, wrapped around his wrist, then looked back to his face.

"Don't go," Simeon whispered.

His voice cracked even with those few words. His eyes were pleading. Barbatos clasped the fingers that encircled his wrist to reassure him.

"Simeon, are you asking me to remain here with you tonight?" he asked.

His heart hammered as he asked the question. Simeon closed his eyes and seemed to bow his head, as if ashamed. A tear escaped the corner of his eye. He tugged the butler's arm under the blanket and hugged it to his chest.

"Please," Simeon whispered. "I don't want to be alone."

Another tear. Barbatos wiped it away with his free hand.

"Then I shall stay here with you."

He spoke with conviction. He needed Simeon to believe his words. He needed Simeon to know that he would not be left alone in his time of need. Simeon looked up at him again, as if expecting the butler to pull away and leave despite the statement. Barbatos floundered for a moment, conflicted about how to conduct himself in this situation. The warmth beneath the blanket was inviting, but it felt improper to slide into bed with a drunk and naked angel.

Not an angel . . . Barbatos reminded himself. Regardless, is this right?

Simeon looked away again and hugged the demon's arm to his chest a little tighter.

"Please . . . I don't want to be alone," he breathed.

Barbatos thought of the scars on Simeon's wrists. Would his friend be tempted to harm himself like that again if left alone for the rest of the night? The butler was not prepared to take that risk.

He is upset and requires comfort. I wish to care for him and fill that need.

"I am here, Simeon," he said.

He let his demon form vanish. Simeon did not release his hand, so he allowed the towel around his waist to slide to the floor despite the strong preference to fold it and hang it somewhere to air out. It was not a priority. Simeon's needs were his only priority for what remained of the night. He would collect the towel off the floor in the morning.

Carefully, Barbatos lifted the blankets and awkwardly slid beneath them with his arm still clutched to Simeon's chest. As the sheets settled over him and he lay his head upon the pillow, Simeon gave him a grateful smile. Barbatos could feel the tension leaving the other man's body, his grip on the butler's arm slackening. Their faces were close as they faced each other on the pillow. Simeon wriggled closer and pressed his face into the crook of the demon's neck, much to Barbatos's surprise.

"Thank you, Barb," Simeon murmured, the words muffling against his skin.

Barbatos forced himself to relax, despite the sensation of the other man's body pressing close. Simeon's skin was warm and smooth and soft. The demon had to stop himself from gliding his free hand over the contours of his ribs and his waist and his hips. He forbade himself from thinking of their shared nudity. He had already accepted during the afternoon that he harboured an attraction to Simeon.

One might call it a crush, he considered. I cannot deny that I feel lust for him, too. However, lust alone does not feel the way this feels. I care for him in a way that makes me think my heart will shatter if he shatters, especially tonight. Perhaps it is the Demonus that makes me wonder if Lord Diavolo was correct when he referred to it as love.

He reflected on the good-natured teasing he had received from the Young Master and Lucifer before lunch. The conversation had forced him to realise that he undeniably felt something for Simeon.

However, it is surely too soon to refer to it as such.

It did not take long for Simeon to begin softly snoring with his head tucked beneath the butler's chin. The quiet rumbles made the demon smile a small smile, as if they were an intimacy reserved for him.

I know such a thought is foolish, but even so . . .

He pressed a gentle kiss to the top of Simeon's head, soft lips against damp hair. Barbatos sighed with exhaustion as his eyelids grew heavy. He tucked Simeon's head back under his chin and draped his free arm over his waist, allowing a hand to settled on his back. Despite how the closeness and the feel of skin against skin made his heart flutter, Barbatos drifted quickly into much-needed sleep.

 

Notes:

This was a bit of a rollercoaster of a chapter to write, from Barbatos finally working out what was wrong, to thinking about the extent of his feelings for Simeon. Please let me know your thoughts!

Chapter 28

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Barbatos dreamed of the warmth of a lover's body pressed to his own. The kiss of skin against skin was comforting. It quelled the loneliness that had been growing in his heart for centuries. An arm around his middle shifted and a hand glided along his side, from his hip up to his ribs and back again. Soft lips were pressed to his neck, and warm breath fanned his collarbones. Wisps of hair tickled at his nose when he turned his head to breathe in the scent of the person pressed against him.

His hands found the dimples at the base of the man's spine. He traced his way up along the vertebrae with his fingertips. The skin was so smooth, so warm. The lover sighed in a way that made Barbatos shiver. He was aroused by the sound, and by the way the man's body shifted against him. He tried to conjure an image of the lover's face as their legs entwined. His lips parted with a sigh of his own as the lover's thigh caressed his own.

He thought of the ways their bodies might merge as they made love. They could spend a lazy morning eating fresh figs in the courtyard, and he would count the koi fish in the fountain. No . . . this body was not Solomon's. It was not the scent of the sorcerer's hair. No, they had parted ways long ago, so who lay with him so intimately and made his heart feel full for the first time in centuries?

His internal body clock pulled him from sleep and the dream dispersed as he blinked his eyes open. The room was not his own and in the clarity of the waking world he remembered what an awful evening last night had become. Furthermore, the hair tickling his nose and the body pressed to his own were not merely part of the dream he had woken from. Simeon was nestled against him, his face buried in the crook of the demon's neck as it had been when they fell asleep. He had draped an arm across the butler's torso and his hand was resting on Barbatos's waist, as it had the previous morning. Barbatos had pins and needles in one arm, which Simeon lay upon, while the other was pressed to his spine between his shoulders. As in Barbatos's dream, their legs were entwined, drawing them close from their ankles to their knees, and all the way up their thighs to their hips.

It was in that moment that Barbatos noticed two things. First, that he was incredibly and undeniably aroused. He had felt the lust mounting in his dream, but it seemed to have followed him into consciousness. His cock ached with want and he was mortified to realise that not only was he painfully hard, but his erection was pressed against Simeon's stomach.

The second thing he noticed was that Simeon seemed to be in a similar state, though he remained asleep. Barbatos recognised the hot, smooth hardness pressing against his thigh for what it was. It did nothing to ease his own arousal as he lay there, momentarily too embarrassed and too horny to move.

Oh dear, this is not ideal . . .

He turned his head slowly, scanning the room for his clothes before remembering that they were in the washing machine. He had entered Simeon's room in nothing but a towel last night, and that towel was somewhere on the floor.

It will do little to hide the state I am in if Simeon wakes.

He forced himself to relax and took some quiet deep breaths. He ached to touch himself, or to grind against Simeon's warmth, but that would be wildly inappropriate. Instead, he tried to will away his erection, thinking intently about what he was going to make everyone for breakfast this morning.

Some of us will be hungover this morning. I am certain they will be pleased with a greasy cook-up of shadow hog bacon and roc eggs, and the gourmet spiced sausages from the local market. No, do not think about the sausages, do not think about the sausages, do not think about—

His dick throbbed needfully. He bit his lip to muffle a groan and shifted his body in an attempt to stop pressing his erection against Simeon's stomach. But as he pulled away, the man in his arm whined in his sleep and dragged him close again, pressing them even more firmly together. Barbatos short circuited as the movement also pressed Simeon's hard length more noticeably against his thigh.

Oh my . . . He is quite well endowed . . .

He had avoided looking at Simeon's penis when he had stripped him of his soiled clothes and helped him wash and dry. He felt guilty for having seen it at all, given the state of inebriation Simeon had been in. But this felt significantly larger than what he had glimpsed.

Barbatos berated himself with a string of profanities that he would not usually acknowledge as part of his vocabulary. He needed to get out of the bed and away from Simeon before the temptation to allow his hands to wander prevailed. And before Simeon woke up and found him in such a disastrously inappropriate state.

He pulled away from Simeon slowly and placed his free hand on the man's chest to prevent him from pulling them back together in his sleep. Untangling their legs, he rolled onto his back and carefully slid his arm out from under Simeon's shoulders.

"Huh?" Simeon opened his eyes, squinting against the morning light.

Barbatos froze at the dazed look in those deep blue eyes. Simeon blinked in confusion as he looked at the demon. The embarrassment Barbatos felt at the mere possibility that Simeon might realise that he was hard sufficiently distracted from his aching need for touch.

"Barbatos?" Simeon rasped.

He cringed at the sensation of sound coming up his throat.

"Uh, I feel like I was trampled on by Beelzebub's Fangol team . . ." he groaned, squeezing his eyes closed.

"I am not surprised, considering how much you drank last night," Barbatos said seriously.

"Last night . . . Gosh, I barely remember anything."

He clutched his head as he sat upright in bed. Barbatos also sat up, bending his knees so that the sheets would not highlight his erection. It was beginning to subside now that his mind was occupied.

Simeon looked down at himself as the blankets slipped south, bundling in his lap. His face suddenly flushed when he realised that he was naked. He pulled the blankets back up to his bellybutton for safe measure.

Ah, perhaps he will be too preoccupied with hiding his own arousal to notice mine.

Simeon's eyes flitted to Barbatos, filled with concern as he registered that the demon in his bed was also naked.

"Oh . . . oh . . ." He covered his mouth with one hand as he looked away from Barbatos, fumbling for words. "I— You're, um— d-did we . . . ?"

He met Barbatos's gaze again, looking guilty and shy with his shoulders hunched. It took Barbatos a moment to realise Simeon's concern.

"We did not have sex last night," Barbatos assured.

As the words left his mouth, his face heated. He cleared his throat awkwardly.

"O-oh, good . . . I mean, I would have felt terrible for not being able to remember," Simeon confessed, relaxing. "But . . . Barbatos, why are we naked?"

The butler gave him a deadpan look.

"You truly do not remember what happened last night?"

I suppose he did lose consciousness a few times after he was sick. Perhaps he blacked out when that happened?

Simeon appeared thoughtful for a moment. His brow furrowed as he attempted to recall the evening.

"I remember sitting on the verandah with you for a while, and feeling too dizzy to move . . . Oh! You helped me inside and took care of me and . . ." He trailed off with a frown. "You told me about Solomon . . ."

Barbatos shifted uncomfortably as he recalled that conversation.

"My apologies, it was not something I should have spoken about so openly while you were already upset with him."

"No, no, I'm glad you told me. But . . . I still don't know how we ended up naked, ahaha!" He offered a sheepish grin to the butler, rubbing the back of his neck. "I don't think I remember anything after that."

Barbatos coughed politely into his fist.

"You do not remember throwing up on me?"

Simeon's back went rigid. He turned to look at Barbatos in horror.

"Tell me it's not true . . ."

The butler grimaced a tight smile. Simeon placed his head in his hands.

"Barbatos, I'm so sorry! Ah, that's so embarrassing . . ."

"It is quite alright," he said. "And you apologised profusely last night when it happened. You got sick all over yourself as well, so I cleaned us up and helped you to bed. Then you would not allow me to leave," Barbatos explained.

He remembered the way Simeon had clung to his arm. A sense of fondness blossomed in his chest and he smiled despite the overall very awkward encounter.

"Please smother me with a pillow now," he mumbled into his hands.

Barbatos gave a deep chuckle and touched Simeon's forearm. He heard a soft gasp before the man snapped his wrists against his chest to hide the scars riddled along the skin.

"I'm so sorry to have been a bother!" he said quickly, then winced at the volume of his own voice.

Barbatos worried his brow.

If he does not remember being sick, then he will not remember what he told me . . . I think we shall need to have a serious discussion when we are both dressed.

He allowed Simeon to believe that he had not seen the scars.

"I must prepare breakfast now, before the others wake."

Noting that his arousal had settled, Barbatos carefully slid out from beneath the covers and shook out the towel that had crumpled to the floor. It was cold and damp against his skin, but at least he was covered.

"If you are able to sleep a little more, it will do you good. I imagine you have quite the hangover. Breakfast will be ready in an hour, so take your time getting up and drink some water to clear your head."

He offered Simeon a wry smile and performed a small bow. It felt ridiculous in nothing but a towel, but it was a force of habit.

Barbatos was grateful that the rest of the house seemed to be sleeping still as he returned to his own room. As he closed the door behind him, he hardly had time to sigh in relief when he noticed an Asmodeus-shaped lump curled up in his bed, hugging one of his pillows.

"Goodness gracious, this morning . . ."

Barbatos readied himself for the day quietly, with Asmodeus's quiet breathing for company. He dressed in his charcoal grey culottes and a dark green sleeveless button-up blouse with a soft collar, opting to loosely tuck the bottom into the high waist of the pants. It was set to be a cooler day than yesterday, but the leftover heat in the nearby ocean made the air humid. He applied some light makeup, just enough to cover the dark circles under his eyes from how late he had been up, and opted for lip balm before a very light dab of lipstick, which was a touch more plum than nude. Continuing his morning routine, he brushed his hair out of the mess it had become overnight. Once it was neatly styled and sitting where he liked it, he turned towards the sleeping Avatar of Lust.

The butler perched on the edge of the bed and assessed the sleeping demon's face. Even in sleep, his lips were pouting. His eyes were puffy and his skin was blotchy and dry. One of Barbatos's pillows was squished against his face, and the pillowcase was tear-stained.

That I should find you in my bed after what transpired last night with Solomon does not bode well.

The heels Asmo wore the previous night were abandoned on the floor. They were scuffed and muddied, and it looked as if the top piece that guarded the point of one of the heels had fallen off. He was certain that Asmodeus would be distraught about that. Barbatos made a mental note to assess if they were within his ability to salvage. For the moment, he returned his attention to Asmodeus and pushed his bangs back from his face. With the strands tucked behind his ear, the butler lay a palm against the other demon's cheek and said his name quietly.

Asmodeus opened bleary eyes that were red and irritated from a long night of crying. It took him a moment to register his surroundings and then he pouted at Barbatos.

"Where have you been?!" he demanded. "I needed a hug and you weren't here!"

"Hush, hush, the others are still asleep. I was looking after Simeon. He made himself sick with drink last night."

Asmodeus's expression transformed from indignant to concerned immediately.

"Is he okay? The poor thing, he must have been so upset."

Barbatos nodded. "He is alright now," he said, though he knew that was far from true. "But how are you, Asmodeus?"

He turned the question back on the sleepy demon, who sat up properly in the bed and held himself loosely. He frowned at the tear-stained pillow for a moment before he answered.

"I don't know," he admitted.

His voice was flat. He did not look up. Barbatos hesitated, then asked the next question.

"Are you and Solomon alright?"

His frown deepened. His lips began to tremble and we swiped away the tears that threatened to fall.

"I don't know," he said again, choking on the syllables.  

Barbatos coaxed him into his arms and handed him a handkerchief. Asmodeus curled against the demon's shoulder and dabbed at his eyes. They remained like that for a few minutes before Asmodeus straightened up again.

"Thanks, Barbie."

"There is no need for thanks. I am sorry. You deserved better."

Asmodeus sniffed bitterly and stiffened his trembling lips.

"Solomon is an ass," he eventually said.  

They shared a look and then both chuckled. Barbatos stood and offered Asmodeus a hand up.

"Come along. Go and get dressed for the day. I shall make you a coffee."

Notes:

[Evil cackling] I had a lot of fun writing that slightly spicy dream and the morning-after scene. I hope you got a chuckle out of it too. Uwu they've slept together naked now.

Thank you for reading and please let me know what you thought!

Swing by my Twitter to say hello to me @SalsaVerde_NSFW.

Chapter 29

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Barbatos had already finished his own coffee by the time Asmodeus joined him in the kitchen. The Avatar of Lust perched on the edge of the bench with his mug in his hands and sipped at it while Barbatos made a start on breakfast preparations. He cooked the spiced sausages he had purchased at the local market first and tried not to think about the state he had been in when he awoke in Simeon's bed. Mercifully, Asmodeus provided a distraction.

"Do you think I overreacted last night?"

"Certainly not," Barbatos said, his voice stern.

"Okay but . . . You weren't there for the conversation I had with Solomon after I stormed off. Maybe I did overreact."

Barbatos sighed and adjusted the heat on the stove as he rotated the sausages. The oven was preheating to a low temperature to keep the food warm until it was time to serve and he procured a dish from the cupboard and got it ready for the first batch. He observed Asmodeus out of the corner of his eye for a moment, disliking that the Avatar of Lust would demonstrate such a level of self-doubt.

"Do you wish to recount the conversation?" Barbatos asked, though it was more of a prompt and less of a question.

Asmodeus considered his coffee for a moment and then downed the last of it and placed his empty cup next to Barbatos's. He hopped down from the bench and walked up behind the butler. Barbatos did not allow his surprise to show when Asmodeus leaned his forehead against his back and wrapped his arms around his waist. It was just as Solomon had done when he had apologised for his actions from the previous day.

I suppose this is a habit of Solomon’s that Asmodeus has picked up on over time.

There was a pang of familiar longing in his chest, but it felt muted. Whether that was due to Solomon’s recent despicable behaviour or his fast-growing affection for Simeon, Barbatos could not say. However, he pushed those considerations aside and gave his focus to Asmodeus.

"I yelled at him about how hurt I was by the way he'd been treating me and how he didn't stop to think how it would make me feel."

"That was a perfectly reasonable grievance."

"I know it was, but . . . He wanted to talk about it. Which is what I wanted. But I was too angry and upset, so I wouldn't actually let him. And then . . ."

Barbatos removed the pan from the heat and carefully moved the first batch of sausages into the waiting dish. Asmodeus left the sentence unfinished. The butler could feel the Avatar of Lust toying with the material at the front of his shirt, pinching and rubbing the green fabric between his perfectly manicured fingers. Except, when Barbatos looked down, he saw that they were not so pristine. The varnish was cracked and chipped. Several nails were shorter than the others, and they were not filed into perfect ovals. Barbatos placed a hand over the top of Asmodeus's, gently clutching them to his stomach.

"And then?" he repeated, turning his head to speak over his shoulder.

Asmodeus slumped.

"I broke up with him."

Barbatos let that information settle over him. It caused an ache deep in his chest.

They had seemed to work together so well . . . Until this week. 

He switched off the stove and turned to face the Avatar of Lust, gently prying his arms from around his waist. Asmodeus would not meet his gaze. He looked ashamed. Barbatos took the other demon's face in his hands and tilted his head up. He gave Asmodeus a serious look.

"Is that what you want?"

Asmodeus barked a wet laugh as he teared up anew and sniffled.

"He asked me the same thing."

The butler gave a wry smile, but stayed silent.

"I don't know if that's what I want!" Asmodeus cried suddenly, lunging towards Barbatos and flinging his arms around him again.

He sobbed loudly for a moment, and the butler held him and stroked his hair and his back. Asmodeus kept his face pressed into the crook of Barbatos's neck.

"I ended up crying to him and yelling at him some more for being such a jerk . . . And he just took it! He just took it and started apologising and— and—"

Barbatos hushed him softly.

"I want it to work out," he admitted. "But I'm so mad at him. Not just for the way he's been hounding you, but also for that stunt he pulled with Simeon. That wasn't okay!"

Barbatos nodded his agreement and carefully pulled the Avatar of Lust off him. He gave Asmodeus a firm look.

"I am also quite upset with Solomon for his actions, especially what he did to Simeon and the way he has upset you. I loath to admit it, but he did seem to accept that he was in the wrong on both counts once it was spelled out to him. That does not excuse his actions by any means, and it certainly does not mean that you are under any obligation to offer him another chance. However,"—his face softened—"Solomon is my ex-lover, and our history is fickle. I cannot tell you what the right decision is, Asmodeus, but I want to believe that he has learned to listen better since I left him."

Asmodeus dabbed at his eyes carefully.

"You think I should talk to him?"

"I think you should talk to him. And I think you should let that conversation inform your decision to stay with him or leave."

Asmodeus sighed and put his face in his hands.

"I overreacted, didn't I?"

Barbatos shook his head.

"You did not. You showed him how gravely he had hurt you."

The butler turned back to the stove and lit the fire again. Once the pan was hot, he started to cook the second batch of sausages.

"I shall make another coffee for myself in a moment. Would you like another, too?" he asked.

Asmodeus smiled tearfully and nodded.

--

Solomon did not appear at breakfast.

Simeon, on the other hand, had found his way to the casual dining area along with the rest of the crowd by the time Barbatos and Asmodeus brought the breakfast feast out. He was yet to be seated, a smile forced across his face as Luke recapped the film he had watched last night. Simeon appeared to wince at the volume of the chatter in the room.

I suspect his hangover is making itself known.

Lucifer and Diavolo watched Simeon with concern until they spotted Asmodeus emerging from the kitchen with Barbatos. Lucifer made a point of intercepting the Avatar of Lust once he set down the dish of toast for everyone to start helping themselves.

"Are you alright?" Lucifer asked in a low voice.

Barbatos would not have heard if Lucifer had not begun moving back towards the kitchen with them.

"I'm fine," Asmodeus sighed.

Lucifer entered the kitchen with them and waited for the door to swing shut behind him before he grabbed Asmodeus by the arm and pulled him close. He held his little brother tight for a moment, then pulled away to fix him with a severe look.

"You are your own demon and I will not force you to speak about last night. There is only one thing I need to know, Asmodeus. Did Solomon abuse his pact with you during that fight?"

Asmodeus pulled a sour face and shook his head firmly.

"He knows better than that," Asmodeus assured him.

They both glanced at Barbatos and then back at each other. The butler pretended not to notice as he prepared more coffees and poured some juice for Luke. Lucifer emitted a long sigh.

"Alright. I trust that you will come to me, if need be," he intoned.

It was sweet that Lucifer cared for his family enough to say such things, but the threat in his voice was quite apparent. Asmodeus smiled and pecked the other demon on the cheek.

"I will. Now, get back to your prince charming. Here, take these coffees out," Asmodeus teased.

He handed Lucifer a coffee for himself and another for the Young Master. The Avatar of Pride scowled at him, but did not complain. Asmodeus assisted Barbatos in taking the last of the drinks out to the table. As they set everything down, he gave the butler a mischievous smile and plopped himself into the armchair Simeon usually occupied. Barbatos arched an eyebrow at the Avatar of Lust, who subtly gestured towards Simeon and the fact that there was room for two more on the couch he normally occupied with Solomon. Barbatos gave him a stern look, but his cheeks reddened.

"Simeon, have a seat before Beelzebub eats everything," Lucifer intoned as he passed Diavolo another slice of toast and scooped scrambled eggs onto his own plate.

Barbatos turned to the Avatar of Pride to find that both he and the Young Master were smirking at him.

"Right, of course. Oh, it seems my usual spot is taken—"

"Sit with me!" Luke said, scooting over as if he could even dream of taking up more than one person's worth of space if he tried. 

Barbatos finished setting down the coffees he had brought out. He saved Simeon's till last, and set it down along with Luke's glass of juice. The butler felt too warm as he gently cleared his throat to catch Simeon's attention.

"May I sit beside you?"

Simeon's face flushed immediately, no doubt sharing the demon's embarrassment from waking up together in the nude.

"O-of course," Simeon confirmed, gesturing to the space beside him. "I promise not to throw up on you today."

He regretted his words immediately as the entire room paused to look between them incredulously. He took a long drink from his coffee.

"On him?!" Asmodeus repeated, aghast. "Barbie, you said he'd made himself sick from drinking too much! You didn't tell me he'd puked on you!"

"Simeon, is that true?!" Luke scolded from his other side. "Why would you drink so much? It's not good for you to do that!"

Simeon looked rather chastised as he sipped his coffee some more, hiding from Luke's disapproval. Lord Diavolo's booming laugh brought attention away from him.

"I've done that to Barbatos three times!" he announced proudly. "Worry not, Simeon. A bit of breakfast will fix you right up!"

The other demons reacted with an array of groans and chuckles at the Young Master’s words. Lucifer shook his head at Lord Diavolo.

"Good grief, three times?"

The Young Master had the decency to look sheepish as he bit into a slice of toast loaded with scrambled eggs and bacon. Barbatos's attention was pulled back to Simeon when the man gently nudged him with an elbow and offered a plate laden with breakfast foods for him.

"Here, Barb. Thank you for cooking. And . . . thank you for looking after me last night," he said.

His cheeks were dark. He met the butler's gaze and then shyly looked away. Barbatos took the plate. He could not help smiling.

Notes:

I always love hearing your thoughts so drop me a comment!

I've got a bit of digital art in the works for the Simeon/Barbatos pairing based on a couple of earlier scenes . . . and on a couple of the scenes coming up a little later in the story 😏 Keep an eye on my Twitter @SalsaVerde_NSFW for those.

Chapter 30

Notes:

Content warning: This chapter includes references to self-harm. Reader discretion is advised.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Barbatos made sure to hang his and Simeon's clothes out to dry after breakfast. It only took a couple of minutes to hang such a small load, but he found himself lingering by the clothes as they danced in the breeze. Clouds skittered in front of the false sun at intervals, and it looked as if that would continue throughout the day, but he did not foresee any rain until late in the evening.

He walked back up to the house with the empty basket on his hip. Inside the laundry room, he turned his attention to the pair of high heels Asmodeus had worn the night before.

They are certainly worse for wear, he mused as he assessed them. However, the only real damage as far as I can see is that the top piece has broken off from the right heel. Asmodeus will need to take it to a cobbler for replacement, but as for everything else . . .

He set about wiping the shoes down. Once they were clean, he would be able to assess the scuffing better and check for any other damage. He was mindful not to cause more damage as he wiped the mud away with a damp cloth.

"There you are," Solomon's voice carried to him.

Barbatos turned to the door, but it remained closed. However, he recognised Solomon's footsteps on the other side. He walked past the door.

"I didn't see you at breakfast," Asmodeus said.

There was a cold edge to the demon's voice.

"No . . . I thought it might be best if I gave you some space. And the others."

Asmodeus hummed in agreement. Barbatos focused his attention on the shoes he was cleaning, setting one aside to begin work on the other. He did not intend to eavesdrop on Asmodeus and Solomon, but their voices drew his ear as they spoke in the hallway. What held his attention even more was the long silence that stretched between the pair.

The butler imagined them standing a little further from one another than they were used to, unable to meet each other's gaze. He imagined them standing with their arms crossed over their own chests, holding themselves in each other's absence. Asmodeus would be tearing up again. He was in love, after all, and his love had given him heartache that he was not accustomed to. Solomon would have that small frown he always got when he did not know what to say. It was a rare occurrence for the Wise King to not know how to move a conversation along. Eventually, he was the first to break the silence.

"Asmodeus, last night . . . I understand why you are upset with me—"

"Do you?" Asmodeus challenged him. "Let's hear it then, shall we?"

Solomon paused. Barbatos stopped wiping the mud off the shoes.

"I want to fix this," the sorcerer said. "Please, Asmodeus. Let me make this up to you. Let's talk."

His voice was thick with emotion. Barbatos could hear the fear of loneliness straining against his throat. Asmodeus drew in a slow breath and then exhaled.

"Alright. Let's talk," Asmodeus agreed.

"Shall we walk down to the beach? I think it's best if we're away from the others while we have this conversation."

Asmodeus must have nodded, because their footsteps carried them away after that and Barbatos was left with his thoughts.

I need to have a conversation with Simeon as well. That will also be one which would be best not overheard.

He thought about the scars he had seen on the man's wrists last night; there had been line after line of eerily smooth tissue that had knitted itself back together, accompanied by one that was more recent. Remembering what he had seen was enough to make him want to go to Simeon and hold him, like he had held him in the shower and in bed last night.

He needs to know that I have seen his scars. He needs to know that he told me of his predicament last night. Perhaps then he will not feel so alone in his pain.

He had already devised a plan to speak to Simeon alone by the time Asmo's shoes were cleaned to his satisfaction. It took some magic to restore the scuffed material, but it was nothing beyond the butler's capabilities. He knocked on Asmodeus's bedroom door out of habit, despite knowing that the Avatar of Lust was with Solomon at the beach. When there was predictably no answer, he entered the room and placed the once again pristine shoes on the other demon's dresser.

A smile quirked his lips when he noticed the four bottles of personal lubricant lined up along the dresser, among the assortment of cosmetics Asmodeus favoured. Only one such bottle had been opened. The bottles were a translucent pink to clearly show how much remained in each bottle. The letter-work on the label was rose gold: Jus de Sexe.

I suspect he will not use as much as he anticipated this week.

Barbatos returned his attention to the task at hand. He knew a good cobbler he could recommend to Asmodeus to replace the top bit missing from the right heel. A message from his D.D.D. would suffice, but Barbatos felt it more appropriate to leave a note. He left for his own room and promptly returned, armed with practical stationary. He penned an elegant note with the details of the cobbler and chuckled to himself as he signed off as Barbie.

I am sure Asmodeus will be overjoyed to see me make use of his endearing nickname for me.


Although breakfast had been hearty and served a little later than normal, Barbatos was not prepared to allow his Young Master or their guests to skip lunch. It was nearing noon as he finished put together a spread of deli-style sandwiches. He arranged most of the food onto platters to be taken out when everyone was ready to eat. He packed a smaller selection of the sandwiches into a container, which he then placed inside a picnic basket, which usually lived in the cupboard next to the door out onto the verandah. He washed some berries and cut some fresh fruit and tossed them together in a large bowl. He added some of the fruit salad to a separate container before slipping that to the picnic basket as well.

Finally, he opened the fridge. He had prepared several pitchers of iced tea for lunch. He took one out and filled a smaller bottle, which he dropped into the picnic basket too, once the lid was securely screwed back on.

Napkins, a pair of cups, two small plates, a serving spoon for the fruit salad, and a pair of forks . . . Yes, that shall do.

He set down the basket next to the back door where it would be out of the way, and folded a picnic rug on top of it. As he straightened up, he realised he was smiling. He wrapped his arms around his torso briefly.

This is just to get Simeon away from the house so that I can speak to him regarding the things I discovered last night. I mustn’t forget the purpose of this little plan.

The next part of his plan required the assistance of one particular Avatar of Greed. It was not quite midday yet, but he would need to find Mammon quickly. Barbatos did not have to look far. He found Mammon absorbed in his D.D.D. on the couch in the lounge room, monitoring a shadow race on the DevilBets app. Barbatos surveyed the room, but the other guests were elsewhere for now. He closed in on his target.

Mammon quickly switched the screen off with a yelp when he noticed Barbatos standing behind him.

"Ya scared the crap outta me!" he huffed indignantly. "Listen, ya didn't see nothin'! I wasn't gamblin', I wasn't spendin' any money, and I definitely wasn't placin' bets on any shadow races!"

His phone pinged with a notification from DevilBets and Mammon could not resist the urge to check it with a large grin, which quickly fell when he read the outcome.

"Dammit! I lost all the Grimm Lucifer gave me for makin' sure ya didn't work last night . . ."

Mammon sunk into the couch in defeat, looking forlorn.

"Perhaps I can assist you," Barbatos said with an unreadable expression. "In exchange for your help with an important task."

Barbatos kept his face blank but for his chilling smile as Mammon looked at him, torn between the good sense that told him this was some sort of trap, and his curiosity and greed demanding he get more information.

"The Great Mammon doesn't do anythin' for free. Time is money!"

Barbatos allowed his smile to widen just a fraction as he performed a small bow to Mammon.

"If you agree to assist me, I shall pay you generously for your service. In addition, I shall help you choose the right shadow racers to bet on for this afternoon," he said evenly.

Mammon baulked. He turned to face Barbatos properly, kneeling on the couch with his hands braced on the backrest to watch the butler properly. Barbatos maintained his cool smile as he straightened his back.

"I'm listenin'," Mammon said. "What's the deal?"

He still appeared cautious, but the butler could see that his greed was winning over. Had anyone except Barbatos or Lucifer approached him like this, he would not be so apprehensive.

"I need you to serve lunch this afternoon. Everything is already prepared. There are platters of sandwiches on the bench in the kitchen, and you will find a fruit salad and pitchers of iced tea in the fridge. I need you to serve them in about five minutes."

"That's it?" Mammon asked when Barbatos had barely finished his sentence.

"Not quite."

Barbatos reached into the pocket of his culottes and extracted a wad of cash he had prepared in anticipation of this conversation. He held up a quarter of the Grimm in one hand, causing Mammon's eyes to bulge.

"I am paying you to serve lunch—" He added another quarter of the Grimm to his hand. "—to pay no mind to neither my nor Simeon's absence from the meal—" He shuffled half of the remaining wad of notes into the other hand. "—to ask no questions regarding this arrangement—" He finally held all of the Grimm in the hand he was showing to Mammon. "—and to speak of this to no one."

Mammon's eyes were transfixed on the cash held up before him.

"Ya got yerself a deal!"

He made to grab the cash from Barbatos, but the demon took a quick step back from the couch.

"I shall provide you with half now and half before dinner, assuming you hold up your end of the agreement."

"What?!" Mammon squawked indignantly. "Fine, whatever! Gimme!"

Satisfied, Barbatos handed off half of the cash to Mammon and tucked the rest into his pocket. As he turned on his heels to head back to the kitchen, he spoke over his shoulder.

"Place your bets on shadow racer 13 for the next two heats, 27 for the five after that, and then one each of 5, 19, and 11, in that order. That ought to see you through this afternoon with excellent results. Remember, you are to serve lunch in five minutes."

Barbatos left Mammon sputtering as he rushed to make note of which racers to bet on while he tucked the first half of his payment into his wallet.

The butler extracted his own phone on the way back to the kitchen and typed out a text message to Simeon.

Barbatos: I am in need of your assistance in the kitchen. Could you please come right away?

He hit send and tucked his D.D.D. away without awaiting the other man's reply.

Two seconds after Barbatos entered the kitchen, Asmodeus burst in behind him and threw his arms around the butler.

"Barbie!!!! My shoes! Thank you so much!!!" he cried as he squeezed the other demon in the tightest hug he had ever received from the Avatar of Lust.

"There is no need to thank me, Asmodeus," Barbatos assured him.

He politely prised the other demon off, but allowed Asmodeus to pepper several kisses on both of his cheeks and one at the corner of his mouth.

"You're absolutely amazing, Barbieeeeeee!"

"A royal butler who can't do this much isn't worth his salt," he said.

He took in Asmodeus's appearance. His eyes were puffy as if he had cried again, and his hair looked windswept, presumably from his time on the beach with Solomon.

I shall ask about that later. For now, he is in good spirits.

Before Asmodeus could say anything further, the kitchen door opened to admit Simeon. His cheeks were flushed and he lingered awkwardly by the door as it closed behind him.

"Barbatos, I got your message. Do you still need me?"

Asmodeus's face lit up with a wicked smile as he looked Simeon over and then turned to Barbatos.

"Ohoho? You said you need him, hm~?"

In reprimand, Barbatos plucked a black shadowberry from the fruit salad bowl and squished it against Asmodeus's cheek so that the purple juice exploded across his skin. Asmodeus shrieked at the unexpected assault.

"Barbie, what if it stains! Did it go on my clothes?!"

"I would never allow such a thing to happen to you, Asmodeus," Barbatos said, quickly washing his hands while Asmodeus fussed about dabbing up the juice with a paper towel.

At that moment, the door burst open behind Simeon, forcing him to step further into the room as Mammon appeared.

"The Great Mammon is here to serve up lunch!" he announced, grinning at Barbatos.

Asmodeus blinks at his older brother in confusion. With a small boost of demonic speed, Barbatos appeared at Simeon's side and took his hand. He tugged the other man towards the door that led onto the verandah and scooped up the picnic basket.

"Where are you going?!" Asmodeus called after them, still reeling from the black shadowberry assault and his brother's loud entry.

"Say nothing of this to anyone and I promise to treat you to a spa day," was Barbatos's answer.

He pulled the door closed behind them as he made his escape with a rather perplexed Simeon.

Notes:

That felt pretty chaotic at the end, but SURPRISE! Barbatos has stolen Simeon away for a picnic! I hope you enjoyed this chapter.

Chapter 31

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

They were halfway across the grassy yard by the time Barbatos realised that he was still holding Simeon's hand. He had only meant to pull Simeon out the door, but he had become focused on putting distance between them and the beach house, lest anyone attempt to follow them, and forgotten to let go. His face heated as he continued leading Simeon towards a small bush track that followed the coast towards the cove, east of the private beach.

On the verandah last night, before he felt sick, we held each other's hand too.

His chest bloomed with a pleasant sensation when he considered that. Instead of releasing Simeon's hand, he adjusted his grip.

"Barbatos? Where are we going?"

"Ah, yes. My apologies for stealing you away without warning," he said.

He slowed their pace as the bush track took a bend and obscured them from view at the house. Barbatos looked back at Simeon with a small but sincere smile.

"I had a feeling you may benefit from some fresh air and a quieter space than the house, given that you are hungover."

It was not the whole truth, but that would be revealed in due course. Simeon looked sheepish for a moment, then returned the butler's smile with appreciation.

"I'm feeling a lot better than when I woke up. You didn't need to go to so much effort! But, thank you, Barb."

Simeon squeezed the butler's hand as they followed the bush track. After a moment, he spread his fingers and tapped a digit against Barbatos's hand. The demon's earlier giddiness turned to chagrin as he released the other man's hand.

"Oh, I do apologise," he began.

But rather than pull away, Simeon captured the butler's hand at a different angle so that their fingers entwined. The gesture left the butler momentarily speechless as they continued walking. He struggled to keep his expression in check as the desire to smile widely fought against his composure.

"Is this okay?" Simeon whispered.

Barbatos squeezed his fingers in reassurance.

"Absolutely," he answered, far too quickly.

Simeon's good-natured laughter bid him not to become embarrassed by his own enthusiasm. He let a wider smile sink in.

A few minutes later, Barbatos slowed their pace to a stop as they cleared the trees and arrived at a hilltop that overlooked the cove. It was no longer the private property surrounding the Young Master's beach house and private beach, but it was well secluded.

"Here we are," Barbatos said.

He set the picnic basket down beneath the mottled shade of a tree, so that only the specks of false sunlight that peeked between the leaves touched them. There was intermittent cloud cover, but the false sun could still be harsh on the skin. He did not allow his disappointed to show when he had to release Simeon's hand to set up, but it was a small price to pay for the time they would spend together and the importance of the conversation they would have once they had eaten. Barbatos unfurled the picnic blanket like an expert, and it settled on the grass without a single crease. He knelt on the checked material and indicated for Simeon to join him as he opened the basket and lay out their lunch items.

"I am certain that I have packed more than enough for the both of us, so please, help yourself to as much as you wish."

Barbatos poured them both a cup of iced tea. It was bloody peach floured and the smell alone was refreshing. He passed a cup to Simeon.

"I'm feeling quite spoiled," he admitted, picking a couple of sandwiches from the container, and putting them on his plate. "Thank you, Barb. This is really nice."

There was a shyness in his voice, and in his smile. His cheeks were dark with blush. Barbatos met his gaze with a tentative smile. Simeon was the first to look away, a nervous giggle escaping him as he looked out over the cove.

"This view is gorgeous! I mean, the view from the house is breathtaking, but this is a nice change of scenery."

"Indeed," Barbatos said. "Everywhere along the Devil's Coast is beautiful, but the area around the Young Lord's beach house is by far the best. And it is nice to go for a walk without sand."

He crinkled his nose at the thought of how much sand he had swept from the floor of the beach house over his many years of service to Lord Diavolo. Then he thought about the previous morning, when Simeon had fallen on top of him in the sand, and how they had been close to kissing. That thought triggered a chain reaction—remembering the kiss they had shared during that wretched game, and Simeon's words later in the evening, asserting that the one good thing about the game had been that they had finally kissed.

He said 'finally'. He had wanted to all day, just as I had.

That brought a smile across his face. They ate in silence for a little while. It was not quite a comfortable silence, but it was not unpleasant. It was a quiet filled with giddy nerves and shy glances and small smiles. They had finished their fill of the sandwiches and moved on to the fruit salad by the time they began a new conversation.

"Solomon came to speak to me before lunch," Simeon said. "Actually, your message asking me to come to the kitchen arrived at the perfect moment."

"Oh?" Barbatos raised an eyebrow.

Asmodeus had not appeared to have been back from the beach for long before he found Barbatos in the kitchen. Clearly, Solomon had been on a small crusade to speak to those he had upset last night. Or at the very least, once he had salvaged his place in Asmodeus’s affections as best as he could, he had sought to address matters with his old dorm mate at the first opportunity.

"It was a brief conversation, but he apologised to me for what he did last night," Simeon explained.

He frowned at his fork before impaling a few pieces of fruit on the tines.

"I should hope so," Barbatos intoned. "How did you feel about his apology?"

Simeon popped the fruit into his mouth and chewed thoughtfully.

"He was sincere, but it doesn't undo what he did." A sad expression passed over his face. "I am angry with him. I feel hurt and betrayed by what he did. And . . ."

Barbatos sipped his cup of iced tea and watched Simeon patiently while he searched for the right words. Eventually, Simeon shook his head and continued eating his fruit salad.

"I am glad that Solomon apologised to you. And I am glad that he was genuine. However, as you said, it does not erase his actions. I think it is reasonable that you remain upset with him. The question is whether there is space for him to earn your trust once more."

Simeon considered this idea for a moment and then looked somewhat guilty.

"I'm not sure I can look at Solomon the same way I used to, now that I know how the relationship between the two of you ended," he explained.

The butler gave a hum of acknowledgement and looked back out over the cove as he turned Simeon's words over in his head. He took another sip of the iced tea while he thought.

"If I may speak candidly, what happened between myself and Solomon three hundred years ago is not a reflection of the person he is today. After some time, we did resume a friendship that has been built largely on mutual understanding and respect."

He nodded to himself as he spoke, setting his tea aside. Simeon tilted his head and set down his bowl, giving his attention over to the demon completely as Barbatos continued.

"Until three days ago, I would have said he was different entirely. However, his actions last night and over the past few days have shown that this is not the case." He emphasised his disappointment with a sigh. "Having said that, after things escalated last night and it was brought to his attention that he had hurt you with his actions, and that he had also upset Asmodeus, it seems that he took steps to rectify his wrongdoings. That is something that he would not have done so easily three centuries ago."

"I suppose that could be true," Simeon conceded, though his tone was tentative.

He watched the butler mull over the words. A small frown pinched between the demon's eyebrows as he focused on the picnic items on the rug before him. Barbatos tapped his chin before he spoke again.

"Moreover, I believe that if he had been pursuing somebody other than myself, he would have been more accepting of their rejections and not gone to such lengths to retaliate."

Simeon hummed, a quiet note of both acknowledgement and uncertainty. He met Simeon's gaze again.

"I suppose what I am trying to say is that you should not allow what I told you of our past last night to change your view of the person he is today. He is still bound to do the wrong thing from time to time. That is in his nature as a human. As a demon, I certainly understand that. However, I do not believe he will ever take things as far as he did three hundred years ago. I believe he holds himself accountable for his actions last night." A wry smile caught the corner of his mouth. "Of course, that does not mean you owe him your forgiveness. If you do wish to extend grace, I suggest you make him work for it."

Simeon sighed. It was a tired sound. Not for want of sleep, but for want of peace within his soul.

"Thank you, Barb. I'll think about what you've said."

 

Notes:

The secret picnic has begun. And they held hands again! Let me know your thoughts in the comments.

A big thank you to everyone who has been reading along with me. Your comments seriously make my day every time.

Next chapter is going to be a bit heavier when the conversation Barbatos intended to have finally occurs. Please brace your faces.

Chapter 32

Notes:

Content warning: This chapter includes references to self-harm. Reader discretion is advised.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

"Have you eaten your fill?" Barbatos asked when Simeon set down his plate and fork.

There were still a few pieces of fruit left, but Simeon was already shaking his head with a sheepish smile.

"I don't think I could eat another bite. But . . ." He hesitated a moment, a shy smile caught on his lips. "I would like to stay out here with you a little longer, if that's alright."

It was a sweet confession. Barbatos's cheeks tinted.

Alas, it is time that we talked.

He gave Simeon a tight, apologetic smile as he slipped the containers and cutlery back into the picnic basket. He sat up on his knees and turned his body to face Simeon more directly. Barbatos folded his hands in his lap, examining the purple varnish that adorned them as he began to choose his words. He met Simeon's eyes as he spoke.  

"Actually, I have a confession. I told you that my reason for whisking you away was to give you some peace while you recovered from your hangover. However, I did have an ulterior motive. Forgive me for deceiving you. I wanted to have a conversation about something rather important, and I thought it was best to do so out of earshot from the others."

His tone made Simeon uneasy. The low and even words made clear that he was easing them into something carefully. Simeon blinked at him in surprise, but the butler did not allow himself to drift into the striking celestial blue.

"What did you want to talk about?" Simeon asked with hesitance.

"It is regarding last night. After you were sick."

Barbatos reached forward and carefully took one of Simeon's hands, bringing it back towards him. He clasped it gently in both of his own and slowly turned it over and looked down at Simeon's palm.

"You had gotten sick on your clothes and I had to undress you. And when I did . . . I saw what you had done to yourself."

He placed a hand over the cuff of Simeon's sleeve. The other man recoiled immediately, and Barbatos understood that Simeon was painfully aware of what he was referring to. Barbatos did not allow him to pull back his hand. Instead, he lifted his gaze to Simeon's face with a serious expression. For a moment, Simeon stared back with wide eyes. Then he tore his gaze away and shame filled his expression. He held his breath.

Barbatos felt the tension in the other man's body. Watched Simeon's face, he unbuttoned the cuff and folded it back to expose his wrist. He did not look down at the scars. However, by exposing them, he left no shadow of doubt in Simeon's mind that it was the scars Barbatos referred to.

"It's nothing," Simeon choked.

He attempted to control his voice, but Barbatos noticed the tells of anxiety and shame. The way his voice trembled, the raised pitch, the hard swallow, and the fact that Simeon would not meet his gaze.

"I'm fine. You don't need to worry."

The words sounded hollow. His lips trembled as he fought to hold back his emotions. A tear leaked down his cheek. Barbatos reached forward with one hand to wipe it away. His touch was tender, but even so, Simeon did not lean into it.

"Simeon, you are not fine," he said. "You would not do something so cruel to yourself if you were fine."

"I'm . . . I'm not ready. To talk about it. Not yet. I can't bring myself to talk about it."

Barbatos felt dampness on his own cheeks. His chest felt too tight.

I do not wish to force this conversation. But I cannot look the other way while you are harming yourself because of this.

"Simeon, that is the other part I need you to know," he said gently. "You told me why last night. You told me that you are no longer an angel."

There was a hitch of breath before Simeon's eyes became terrified. He looked at the butler and froze. Barbatos did not remove his hand from the other man's face.

"No . . ."

The demon gave a solemn nod.

"When we awoke this morning and you said that you could not remember being sick, I realised that you must not remember having told me that. I understand that you are not ready to talk about it at length, but—" Barbatos finally looked down at the scars that marked Simeon's wrist, then returned to his face. "—Simeon, I cannot sit idly by knowing that you are doing this to yourself."

Simeon shook his head even while Barbatos spoke. So many emotions flashed across his face. The medley of fear and sorrow and anger surged to the surface as one. His cheeks were wet. Barbatos noticed the signs of panic in the way his breath quickened until he was hyperventilating. The butler squeezed his hand around Simeon's and brought it up to his chest. He wrapped his other arm around Simeon's shoulders to pull him close. The gestures felt natural. It took Barbatos a moment to recognise that he had done it himself.

"Simeon, take a deep breath," he said. "I cannot begin to imagine your fear, but you needn't go through this alone."

He cupped the back of Simeon's head while the other man fought to calm his frantic breathing. Barbatos soothed him with gentle hushing sounds while he stroked the soft waves of hair. Simeon gulped a lungful of air and slowly breathed it out, then swallowed down another. It was a few more minutes before he was able to form words.

"Please, please don't tell the others," he managed.

His voice was muffled against Barbatos's shoulder. The demon squeezed his hand in reassurance and realised his fingers were tingling from how tightly they were gripping each other. He flexed his fingers to loosen them from Simeon's grasp and leaned back to peer at the other man's face. Simeon gave him a pleading look. Barbatos gathered his resolve and addressed him.

"I shall refrain from divulging your personal business to the others. However, if I am to keep this promise to you, then I must ask that you allow me to understand your situation. I will not press for details, but please, as your friend, tell me what I need to know to support you."

There was a long pause. Simeon's teeth were clenched. He met Barbatos's gaze, still rife with a mixture of fear and anger and sorrow. He hesitated before he let those emotions dissipate. He squeezed his eyes shut around more tears.

Then it all came out.

"The Ring of Light. I knew the Celestial Realm would not give it up willingly, but I couldn't see another way to resolve the issue with the brothers and their master's unstable magic without severing their pacts and . . . Lucifer . . . I knew he would offer himself as sacrifice for the Night Dagger Solomon had provided. There was no time left to find another way, so I— I took it. I stole the Ring of Light from Michael. To save him. To save all of them."

He spoke rapidly, as if afraid that if he stopped, he would not be brave enough to continue. Barbatos held his breath, connecting the dots himself.

"Oh . . . Oh, Simeon." Barbatos placed a hand over his mouth as the implications unfurled in his mind. "Simeon, you could have fallen."

"I know!" he said, a sad smile stretching his lips. "I thought . . . I thought, in the worst-case scenario, that would. I was ready, Barb. I was ready to fall and join my brothers if it meant I'd redeemed myself for my choices during the Celestial War. I was ready to fall if it meant their family wouldn't be fractured again."

Considering the conversation the pair had shared on the verandah the previous night, this revelation hardly surprised Barbatos.

"But you have not fallen. Not truly. You are not a demon. You are human. I came to realise that last night."

Simeon pursed his lips, trying in vain to stop their trembling as a fresh wave of tears washed down his cheeks.

"No. I didn't fall. Michael said—" He took a shuddering breath, then tried again. "Michael said it would hardly be a punishment, given I'm already comfortable in the Devildom because of the exchange program."

"Then he has taken away your Angel's Blessing as an alternative way to punish you," Barbatos concluded.

Simeon confirmed this with a sad nod.  

"That's right. Michael revoked my Angel's Blessing, which means I am stripped of all my Celestial powers. I have no magic. I'm completely human right now. Completely mortal. And now I can't fall. I'm stuck like this, unless he decides that I have earned it back."

Barbatos frowned at his wording.

"Then am I correct in understanding that Michael does not intend for this punishment to be permanent?"

Simeon gave a dry laugh.

"I wish that I knew! But I don't. I don't know if I'll ever be an angel again, or if I'm going to grow old and die in a matter of decades. And that's if some illness or injury doesn't kill me sooner!" His voice rose as he spoke and he gestured helplessly with his free hand while Barbatos kept the other clutched to his chest. "Barb . . . I'm so scared. I'm so scared."

His eyes were wide and frantic. He clutched the front of Barbatos's blouse like a lifeline. The demon pulled him close again as Simeon started sobbing.

"Who else knows?" Barbatos urged.

"No one. Michael and a couple of other high-ranking angels."

His frown deepened with concern.

"What of Luke?"

Simeon shook his head quickly and lowered his voice, as if his apprentice would somehow hear him.

"I haven't told him. I don't know how to tell him. Ha! Isn't that terrible? It's been months and I'm still keeping this from him."

He sounded as if he were going mad, and Barbatos could understand why. The demon's heart clenched. His stomach felt heavy as the weight of Simeon's circumstances sunk in.

"I can understand that it is a difficult conversation to have with Luke. Or with anyone, for that matter."

Barbatos retrieved a handkerchief from his pocket as he spoke, still keeping Simeon's hand clutched to his chest. He reached forward to wipe the tears from Simeon's face, dabbing at the other man's skin. Simeon met his gaze. Barbatos wished to drown this sorrow in those celestial blue depths. He considered the other man for a long moment and chose his next words with care.

"You have held this pain by yourself all this time. It is little wonder that you have not been coping. Perhaps what happened last night, while not ideal, was a blessing in disguise, because it led us to have this conversation. I cannot fix the problem, but, Simeon—" He released Simeon's hand and placed the handkerchief aside, cupping the other man's face with both hands to hold his gaze. "—I care about you very much. You do not have to carry this burden alone any longer. I will not force you to speak to the others until you are ready to do so. However, the next time you wish to harm yourself, come to me instead. Allow me to be here for you."

More tears escaped Simeon, warm and salty against the demon's fingers. He wiped them away with his thumbs. He wanted to kiss Simeon's trembling lips until the pain subsided. He wanted to lay in bed with him until all was well once more. Instead, when Simeon closed his eyes and bowed his head and allowed his grief to pour out of him, Barbatos bowed his head too. He pressed his forehead gently to Simeon's, and when the other man leaned into the contact, Barbatos simply held him.

Simeon wept for a long while. When his sobs eventually subsided to quiet sniffles, Barbatos coaxed him to lay down on the picnic rug. With Simeon's head cushioned on his lap, Barbatos stroked his hair. The fingers of his other hand were entwined with Simeon's once more. Soon, the former angel had cried himself to sleep.

Notes:

Can we all agree that Simeon needs to be held? Yeah, I think we can all agree on that. I'll leave the tissues here. Please don't hurt me. But do let me know how you're feeling in the comments. Thank you for reading!

I promise that the next five chapters are going to ease away from the angst. Like, it'll still be there, but Simeon's day is going to improve now.

I finished the first draft of chapter 37 last night. The plan right now looks like this fic will end up being about 42 chapters, give or take. Just depends on how long some of them end up and if I have additional plot bunnies in the meantime that bulk it out more.

Chapter 33

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Barbatos allowed Simeon to rest for an hour, while the weather remained fair. He savoured the quiet and the mottled sunlight that broke through the canopy to dapple the picnic blanket with warmth each time the false sun broke through the clouds. It was shaping up to be a far more chaotic week at the beach house than Barbatos had anticipated, so the respite of this picnic was a welcome change.

After an hour had passed with Simeon sleeping with his head in Barbatos's lap, the butler decided to wake the other man. His fingers were already carded through Simeon's dark curls. That realisation made him pause. He looked down at the other man's sleeping face for a moment, allowing a soft warmth, not so different from the mottled sunlight, to permeate in his chest.

He pressed his fingertips to Simeon's scalp and stroked down the back of his neck and along one of his shoulders. The firm touch dragged Simeon back into the waking world. He sat up groggily, knuckling the sleep from his eyes. Barbatos chuckled and fixed his bedhead, if only for an excuse to feel the strands against his fingers for a moment longer.

"I didn't mean to fall asleep," Simeon said, apologetic.

Barbatos shook his head at the apology and filled Simeon's empty cup with iced tea.

"Drink this. I do not wish for you to become dehydrated again."

Simeon accepted the refreshment with a quiet thanks. Once the first sip washed down his throat, he realised how thirsty he was and drank quickly. Barbatos refilled the cup with a gentle expression as he spoke.

"The afternoon is getting on now. I need to go into town to purchase groceries at the market for the remainder of the week."

"Ah . . ." Simeon's expression fell, but he forced a smile back to his face. "Well, I suppose we couldn't stay out here all afternoon anyway. The others are probably wondering where we are."

Barbatos schooled a smile before it could burst across his face.

I am quite sure that most of them will have made their own assumptions.

Simeon insisted on helping to pack up their impromptu picnic spread. Together, they folded the picnic blanket back into a neat square, brushing off the grass and leaves that stuck to its underside. Barbatos gathered the picnic basket with one arm before Simeon could try to help more. He started leading the way back towards the beach house, but he hardly made it two steps before—

"Barbatos, wait," Simeon said, louder than intended, as he took hold of the demon's other arm to stop him in his tracks.

Barbatos faced him with his head tilted.

"I just . . . Thank you. Thank you for looking out for me."

The butler took in his flushed cheeks and the awkward way he held himself. Simeon's grip on his forearm loosened, but before he could pull away, Barbatos hooked their arms around each other. The small gasp the other man emitted made it impossible for Barbatos to keep his smile small, so he turned to face the path back to the beach house and led Simeon along beside him.

"You needn't thank me, Simeon. Truth be told, I am pleased we were able to enjoy a quiet meal together. Perhaps it was selfish of me to steal you away from the others, but I felt it best we were away from prying eyes and ears while we spoke and I wanted for you to be comfortable."

Simeon laughed gently at his side. The demon had not expected such cheerfulness so soon after their conversation.

"I'm glad you whisked me away. The picnic was sweet. I . . . I enjoy spending time with you, Barb," Simeon confessed, his voice bashful.

The butler risked a glance at the other man's face. He wore that shy smile that Barbatos was quickly becoming enamoured with. It made the demon's heart pitter-patter against his ribs.

"I quite enjoy time spent with you as well, Simeon."

Simeon's smile grew wider. The corners of his eyes crinkled. They both faced forward again as they came around the bend and cleared the tree line. The beach house and the private strip of beach came into view. Down on the sand and in the shallows, Lord Diavolo and the brothers were relaxing or engaging in their preferred activities. Luke was walking towards the rockpools with Leviathan, Satan, and Beelzebub, leaving four sets of footprints in the sand behind them. Barbatos scanned the beach once more, noting that neither Asmodeus nor Solomon were accounted for.

Barbatos had them detour to the washing line to collect their clothes. The sun had left them warm and dry and smelling of the sea air. The pair remained unnoticed as they reached the verandah and entered the house via the door into the kitchen, just as they had fled. Barbatos slipped his arm out of Simeon's to deal with the picnic dishes and stow away the basket and blanket in their designated cupboard. He glanced into the refrigerator and the cupboard to confirm what groceries he needed to obtain from the market. Simeon lingered by the door into the casual dining area, which had been left ajar. Quiet voices carried in through the gap. Noticing Simeon's unease, Barbatos approached him and saw that Solomon and Asmodeus were in the next room.

"You do not need to hide away from him, Simeon. He was in the wrong. Hold your head high," Barbatos said.

Simeon smiled apologetically, which only made the butler shake his head again. Barbatos linking their arms once more, the need to make a point driving him. They stepped out of the kitchen together, prompting the pair on the couch to halt their conversation.

Solomon and Asmodeus were seated on the same couch, at opposite ends. Their backs rested on the armrests and their feet were up on the cushions so that they faced one another without being too close. They both looked towards the new arrivals, though they had severely different reactions. The small frown on Asmodeus's face was instantly replaced by a wicked smirk. He raised a dainty eyebrow at them, but refrained from making the inappropriate comment that Barbatos was certain was right on the tip of his tongue. Solomon, on the other hand, had the grace to bow his head when he saw Simeon. 

In the entrance hall, they paused in front of the partially restored mural and stepped apart.

"I will be going into town now. Will you head down to the beach to join the others?"

"I suppose," Simeon answered without enthusiasm.

There was a strange pause before they moved towards their separate rooms. The demon paused as he entered his room. A sensation like disappointment sat in his stomach.

We both lingered there. Perhaps he wished to spend more time together, too.

Barbatos jotted down the list of groceries and tried not to think about how nice the other man's hair felt to touch. As he turned to leave the room again, he almost ran headlong into Simeon, who appeared in his doorway.

"Ah, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to sneak up on you," he laughed, looking sheepish.

Barbatos offered him a small smile, slipping back into a more professional mask now that their previous conversation and the time they had spent together had closed.

"That's quite alright. How might I be of assistance?"

Simeon wrung his hands for a moment then steeled himself.

"I don't think I want to join the others at the beach, but . . ." He inclined his head towards the other room where Asmodeus and Solomon were sitting. "I wouldn't like to stay at the house just now either. Would it be alright if I joined you at the market?"

Barbatos felt himself stand a little taller. It seemed foolish to want to smile, but the idea that Simeon would choose to spend more time with him after their picnic and confronting conversation made him feel good. His smile widened.

"Of course," the demon said. "I hope you won't mind if we listen to my music while we drive."

"Not at all," Simeon smiled, following him out.

Notes:

Oops, I had meant to update a bit sooner but the last week or so has been really crazy. Please forgive me! I've now started writing chapter 41 . . . though I keep splitting chapter in half to post, so although it currently says there's gonna be 43 chapters, we shall SEE if that remains the case.

Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself! The secret picnic has ended, but our favourite pair are going to spend a little more time together. I hope you enjoyed chapter 33.

Chapter 34

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Gravel crunched underfoot as they approached the sleek black car that Barbatos had driven in with the Young Master at the start of their vacation. It seemed absurd to him that the others had only been with them for three days. The initial week he had spent at the beach house with the prince seemed a distant memory, given all of the excitement and drama that had transpired in the past seventy-two hours. Barbatos held the passenger door open for Simeon without thinking.

"My, you are a true gentleman," Simeon teased as he climbed into the vehicle.

Blushing, Barbatos closed the door and stepped around to the driver's side. When the engine roared to life, he ejected the CD Lord Diavolo had insisted on playing during the drive over and the kitchen restock adventure prior to their guests' arrival—a compilation called So Flesh: The Hits Summer. It was "the Devildom's best summer beats of the century", according to the Young Master. Barbatos replaced it with something more to his own taste.

Simeon's eyes widened as the music started. A long and whining note from an electric guitar stretched into distortion before the percussions joined in with a double crash of cymbals. The build-up broke into a frantic beat, accompanied by an enraged duet of electric guitars before a deep and raspy growl from the lead vocalist cut through. The tempo changed as she sung. The car coasted along the long tree-lined driveway, shrouded in the shadows of the forest that separated the house from the main road.

"If it does not appeal to you, there are more CDs in the glovebox," Barbatos said after a glance at Simeon's bewildered face.

To his surprise, Simeon threw his head back and laughed. The joyous sound contrasted with the guttural vocals and angry instrumentals coming from the speakers. It sent a pleasant shiver up Barbatos's spine.

"Why are you laughing?" Barbatos enquired.

His cheeks were glowing as he pulled out onto the road. He could not banish the smile from his face as his ears were filled with his favourite music and the sound of Simeon's laughter.

"Hehehe, I just never would have guessed that you listen to heavy metal," Simeon explained as he fought to tame his amusement. "You're always so put together, Barb. I didn't expect this."

"My apologies if this ruins your perception of me," the butler chuckled.

"No, no, I love it!" Simeon declared. "I've never really listened to this sort of music before, but . . . I think I might like this. Can we turn it up?"

Barbatos raised an eyebrow at the other man before returning his gaze to the road. The drive into town would not take long, but it would be long enough to fit in a few tracks, and they would be halfway through the album by the time they returned to the beach house.

"We certainly can," he answered. "Let us indulge."

With an uncharacteristically wide grin, Barbatos turned the volume dial until the angry thrashing music drowned out the sound of the car engine. He glanced at Simeon's amused expression, but kept his attention on the road as they sped along. Feeling perhaps impulsive, he pressed two button to make the electric windows wind down all the way. Simeon laughed again and it gave the demon a wonderful rush. The breeze whipped through their hair as the guitars screamed and the drums rumbled and the lead vocalist growled and snarled the lyrics.

Halfway through the first song, the demon glanced at Simeon again. He had his eyes closed, his arms folded behind his head and a smile parting his lips wide enough to bare his teeth. The grin created a dimple beside his mouth. The sight of it was enough to set the demon's blood racing. If Barbatos were not at the wheel, he would have leaned over and kissed him then. It would not have been gentle. It would have been searing. His greed surged in a way he had not experienced in a long time.

Stars, I want him.

Instead, he focused on the road ahead and tried not to think about the kiss they had shared the previous night or how badly he wanted to taste the other man again.

Despite the urging of his greed, Barbatos was not in any hurry to conclude the car ride. He may have deliberately circumnavigated the town so that they could share a few more songs in each other's company before they reached the market. Simeon's eyes practically glittered when he realised, but he said nothing.

--

By the time they parked the car, Simeon and Barbatos had ridded themselves of any excess energy with the loud music.

"Your hair is quite windswept," Barbatos chuckled as they left the vehicle.

He raised a hand to card through the soft waves of Simeon's hair. He surprised himself with how easily the gesture came to him. Simeon leaned into the touch with a giggle.

"Yours is no better, I'll have you know."

Simeon caught the butler's wrist and tugged him to a halt.

"Here, I'll fix yours too," he teased.

The demon could not help the small gasp that escaped him when Simeon cupped his face with one hand and carefully brushed his fingers through the longer side of the butler's bangs. He pressed his lips together as Simeon switched to the other side, smoothing out the fly-away strands. He could feel his cheeks flushing. He allowed the other man to tilt his head from one side to the other, assessing the demon's hair.

"There. Flawless once more," Simeon said, his voice gentle as his fingertips paused against the butler's skin.

His words made the demon's heart leap. Barbatos met his gaze with a small smile. He adjusted another lock of Simeon's hair then finally let his hand drop to the other man's shoulder.

"My thanks. Shall we?"

The market itself was uneventful. There was a comfortable silence between them as they hunted down the items on Barbatos's grocery list. They scarcely broke physical contact as they made their way around the fresh produce and nodded politely to the demons working the stalls. Their arms remained linked, and they each took a bag of groceries in their other arm. There was no verbal acknowledgement or agreement to keep an arm free for each other, only a wordless understanding and the exchange of stolen glances and shy smiles.

Barbatos did insist on stopping for a cup of tea at a small shop once they had everything on the list. He told himself that the suggestion was mostly for fear that Simeon was overexerting himself after such a rough night and the emotional conversation they had after lunch. Truthfully, it was another excuse to extend their impromptu outing.

"It is just along here," he said, leading Simeon along the footpath.

The town was bustling with tourists and holidaymakers, tempted to the Devil Coast with the promise of a summer courtesy of the false sun. It was only when they sat down in the teashop that Barbatos registered that he and Simeon had interlaced their fingers while they were walking. The shopping from the market was tucked beneath the table between them. They shared a small corner table towards the back of the bustling teashop.

"Do you come here often?" Simeon asked as they each drank from their cup.

Their knees were touching beneath the table. The demon brushed his ankles against the former angel's as he replied.

"I make a point of coming here at least once each time I venture into town for the market, if the Young Master has not insisted on joining me."

Simeon chuckled and stirred his tea slowly, lifting the undissolved sugar granules from the bottom of the cup. Barbatos found himself watching the unhurried movements with a small smile. When the former angel set his teaspoon down, the demon shifted his own hand so that their knuckles brushed.

"However, since I generally complete the task of grocery shopping alone, and Lord Diavolo typically prefers to indulge in ice cream when he joins me, this is the first time I have brought somebody in with me," he admitted.

Simeon's eyes lifted to meet his, his cheeks pinkening.

"Well then, I'm quite honoured," he said.

Barbatos blinked back with a crooked smile.

--

By the time they returned to the beach house, it was time for Barbatos to prepare dinner—and no, he would not allow Simeon to help as he had done quite enough!

"At least let me help you carry in the shopping," he laughed, shouldering the demon until he conceded to let Simeon take one of the grocery bags.

"Very well. But then you must rest."

Barbatos could not truly bring himself to be exasperated by his persistence. The cheeky smile as Simeon climbed the stairs ahead of him made him shake his head with mirth. The former angel's penchant for mischief reminded him of his Young Master, but the fondness it nurtured held a different quality. He watched Simeon disappear into the house ahead of him. Barbatos paused on the verandah, glancing back towards the car.

That was an entirely pleasant outing. Perhaps I will ask Simeon to join me next time I go to replenish the refrigerator.

"Barb? Are you coming inside?" Simeon asked, doubling back to the front door with his grocery bag still in hand.

"Yes, coming."

As they carried the groceries through to the kitchen, they found that the others had returned from the beach. Luke intercepted them with his little hands balled into fists with excitement.

"Simeon! I got to explore the caves!"

Simeon raised his eyebrows.

"The caves? You mean the ones on the other side of the rockpools?"

Luke nodded with such enthusiasm that his hat slipped. He adjusted it on his head as he followed Simeon and Barbatos into the kitchen. They deposited the groceries on the benchtops while the little angel lingered in the doorway, eager to share more of his adventure.

"I went with Levi and Satan and Beel," he explained.

"Those caves can be quite dangerous, Luke," Barbatos intoned as they re-joined the rest of the group.

Asmodeus and Solomon had shifted to the living room along with a few of the brothers, but the trio in question were still in the casual dining area. Satan spoke up to reassure Barbatos and Simeon.

"He was with us the whole time, don't worry. I checked the tide times to make sure it would be safe for us to go in when we did," he explained.

"And we made sure we were out again before the tide turned," Beelzebub added. "I was getting hungry again by then anyway."

"A-and I was there!" Levi said.

His brothers gave him a questioning look and he sputtered to elaborate.

"I might be a gloomy yucky gross shut-in of an otaku, but the ocean is my thing! I am THE Leviathan of the Deep!"

He huffed and crossed his arms, indignant for having to remind his brothers of his power.

"You sound like Mammon when you say it like that," Satan sighed.

"Oi!"

"Speak of the devil . . ."

The Avatar of Greed stomped over from the lounge room while the others ignored Leviathan's protest of Satan's comment.

"Whaddaya sayin' about me, huh? I heard my name!"

"Ah, Mammon, have you had a pleasant afternoon?" Barbatos drew his attention.

The Avatar of Greed's eyes lit up as the butler sent him a conspiratorial look.

"Yeah!"

Barbatos moved towards the kitchen again, the knowing greed in the other demon's eyes assuring him that Mammon would follow like a hungry hellhound. He closed the door when Mammon wandered into the room after him, rubbing his hands together.

"I made good money on the shadow races! Uh, and I did the thing ya asked, so ya better pay up what ya owe me!"

"Of course," Barbatos nodded, extracting the second half of Mammon's payment from his pocket. "You have my gratitude for your assistance."

Mammon snatched at the wad of cash and fanned the notes out in his hand to admire them as Barbatos stepped away to begin dinner preparations. Once he had pocketed the Grimm, Mammon narrowed his eyes at the butler. He crossed his arms casually behind his head and leaned against the countertop.

"So, you an' Simeon, huh?" he said with a crooked smile.

Barbatos levelled him with a cold smile as he brought a knife down swiftly on an onion, cleaving it in half and embedding the blade in the chopping board. That was warning enough for Mammon, who gulped and scarpered out of the kitchen with haste.

 

Notes:

I think they might like each other. What do you think?

I hope you enjoyed this sweet little chapter. [Sharpens a knife in the corner for next chapter.]

Chapter 35

Notes:

Content warning: This chapter briefly hints at self-harm ideation. Reader discretion is advised.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Dinner was an interesting affair.

Barbatos served a simple pasta dish with homemade garlic bread. The ravioli were made in the shape of little devil heads with horns and were dyed different colours depending on the filling. The butler could fondly remember the first time the Young Master saw them at the market—he could not decide which flavour he wanted to try, and decided Barbatos should get all of them and cook them together. Really, the colourful ravioli were made with the youngsters of the Devildom in mind, but the concept alone brought such joy to Lord Diavolo that the butler could not deny him.

Certainly, the Young Master was thrilled when he discovered that Barbatos had returned from his shopping trip with the colourful ravioli medley to be served that very night. Luke appeared to be enjoying the novelty of them, too, trying to guess the flavour of each colour before he popped it into his mouth, and engaging the others to do the same.

Beneath Luke's enthusiasm and playing 'guess the filling', the energy in the room was a combination of the boisterousness of those who had not participated in the previous night's disastrous game of spin the bottle, and the tension of those who had.

Asmodeus and Solomon were seated together again. Asmodeus leaned against the sorcerer's arm, though he had not regained his usual flair and was strangely quiet. Barbatos suspected that he and Solomon had spent most of the day talking through what the sorcerer would need to do to mend the rift he had created in their relationship. Although it was a necessary conversation for them to have if they were to move forward from the previous night, there was no doubt that such a conversation had been draining.

Across from the tentatively reunited couple, Lucifer was giving Solomon the stink-eye rather blatantly. Asmodeus pretended not to notice, unbothered by it. The Avatar of Lust seem to find it apt to allow Solomon to squirm under the eldest's glare. The butler certainly felt it was appropriate. Even Lord Diavolo was eyeing the sorcerer with thinly veiled contempt.

Simeon also seemed uncharacteristically quiet. Barbatos was uncertain if it was to do with Solomon's presence making him uncomfortable, or because he had indeed overexerted himself during the afternoon. The butler suspected it was a combination of these things. He could not help his concern for the man, but around the dinner table was not the appropriate setting to check in with him.

"Listen' up!" Mammon announced as Barbatos cleared the table after the meal. "We watched Levi's weird anime movie last night—"

"Ghosted Elsewhere is a work of ART!" the otaku yelled, cutting Mammon off.

The Avatar of Greed dismissed his brother with a wave of his hand.

"So tonight, let's watch the Harrison Porter films! We got all of 'em here, so let's whip up some popcorn an' head to the theatre room already! C'mon, chop chop!"

It took another half hour for everyone—mostly Beelzebub—to have the snacks they wanted for the evening and make themselves comfortable in the theatre room. Barbatos was diligent about ensuring the dishes were all done before he joined the group, but they had not quite started the first film when he arrived. Lord Diavolo was in the thick of the group with Lucifer at his side, while Asmodeus and Solomon were seated off to one side. Luke had dragged Simeon to the row of seats in front of the main cluster so that his view would not be obstructed, while Mammon and Levi bickered over the DVD player. Once Mammon hit play, he and Levi took a seat either side of Simeon and Luke.

There was an odd feeling in Barbatos's stomach as Leviathan sat down at Simeon's side.

How strange that I have spent almost the entire day with him, and yet, I still wish to have his company.

He took a seat in the back row, choosing to keep to himself since that the option to sit with Simeon had been taken away. As the film started, he let the disappointment dissipate.

Barbatos had watched the first Harrison Porter film several times before, usually with the Young Master, but it was still whimsical and heartfelt. Even so, he felt restless as he watched the screen, even as the others visibly began to settle for the evening.  

Perhaps the day has taken its toll on me as well.

After the first film ended, there was a brief interval for everyone—again, mostly Beelzebub—to replenish their snacks and refreshments. Barbatos made it half an hour into the second film before he slipped out of the room and left the others to their marathon. He did a little tidying to keep his hands busy, until he made his way to the entrance hall and appraised the mural restoration.

Yes, that is the catharsis I need tonight, he decided as he mounted the platform and made his light.

The warm white orb bobbed overhead as he prepared his brushes and paints. Once he put the brush to the wall, he fell into a steady rhythm. It was effortless for him. Each stroke of the brush eased the tension he had been holding as it built since yesterday.

He had felt a semblance of this respite in the car with Simeon. The music had been loud and the wind had been streaming through their hair. The sound of Simeon's laughter mingling with the music made his heart thunder. A significant part of him wished that he had pulled the car over to kiss the other man.

"There you are," the man's voice interrupted that thought.

"Simeon," Barbatos greeted him, setting down his brush. "Have you had enough of the Harrison Porter marathon?"

The other man chuckled and nodded.

"Luke fell asleep, so I've just tucked him into his bed. I thought I'd go to bed too, but . . ."

He stopped himself short, as if reconsidering what he was going to say. Barbatos considered the awkward way Simeon shifted, his eyes downcast and holding himself. When he did not continue, Barbatos spoke up.

"Would you like to join me?"

When Simeon lifted his gaze, Barbatos had already extended a hand to help him up onto the platform. He allowed the demon to pull him up, but dropped his gaze again as he leaned against part of the railing. The butler could see the crease of the other man's brow. His shoulders were hunched, head slightly bowed as if in shame. Barbatos stepped towards him and cupped his chin to make Simeon meet his eyes once more.

"What is on your mind tonight?" he asked quietly.

Celestial blue blinked at him while Simeon found his words. He sighed in resignation.

"This afternoon, you made me promise that I would seek you out if I . . . if I wanted to . . ."

He did not need to finish the sentence for Barbatos to understand.

He must have experienced a mood drop once he was alone. It is hardly a surprise, all things considered.

The demon took both of Simeon's hands in his own.

"Would you like to talk about how you are feeling, or would you prefer a distraction tonight?"

Simeon worried his bottom lip with his teeth for a moment.

"A distraction would be nice," he answered.

The butler nodded and led him across the small platform until they were both standing in front of the paints and brushes. Barbatos cleaned a broad brush and dipped it into a dark blue paint, tapping off the excess before handing it to Simeon.

"This helps me unwind. Perhaps you will find it cathartic as well." He indicated to the section Simeon should work on. "Do not worry about painting all the way up to the edges. I will use a smaller detail brush for that later. Just fill in the bulk, here and here. When that is done, you can work on this section in the darker shade of green just here."

"Alright, I can do that," Simeon nodded.

Barbatos repositioned the orb of light he had created to make sure Simeon could see adequately. Before he took up his own brush again, he retrieved his D.D.D. from his pocket and opened a music application. He kept the volume low so as not to disturb Luke, asleep down the hall. He selected a different album by the same band they had listened to in the car and set the phone down on the railing between them. Simeon gave him an appreciative smile, which the demon readily returned as the music blasted quietly.

"I didn't ask earlier. What's the name of this band?" Simeon asked as they both began painting.

"This group is called Vela Unashamed. The lead singer is from a coven of witches from central Europe in the human realm. One of her sisters is on the base, and her brother and a demon they all have a pact with are on the guitars. They have changed drummers a few times, but presently, it is the demon guitarist's paramour."

"They sound fantastic. It's not the type of music I normally listen to, but there's something reassuring about listening to it. Maybe because it gives me an outlet for all the complicated feelings inside me right now, given my circumstances."

Barbatos nodded his understanding.

"They are coming to the Devildom capital in a few months." Barbatos hesitated before he continued. "We could see them together, if you think you would enjoy that."

He kept his eyes on the tip of his brush, measuring each stroke and trying not to think too hard about what it might be like to attend a heavy metal concert with Simeon. All formalities abandoned, moving with the crowd in front of the stage as the music thrummed, the press of bodies around them pushing them close together. It was rare that Barbatos took time off to indulge in such things, and he had not intended to see Vela Unashamed until the invitation for Simeon to go with him left his lips.

"That sounds like fun," Simeon replied.

Barbatos risked a glance at Simeon and was relieved to see his shy smile. The demon felt his own smile spread his lips. They paused their painting for a brief moment, sharing that smile before returning their attention to their work.

Close to an hour later, the last track from the album ended and the music fell silent. Simeon set down the wide brush and stretched his arms high above his head, then rolled his wrists and neck to loosen up.

"You were right. This is cathartic," he said.

Simeon turned his attention to the work Barbatos had done over the past hour. He had focused on restoring more of the koi fish that made up the mural, and the green lily pads and their flowers. They were finer details, which he used a selection of smaller brushed to bring together.

"Would you like to try this part?" Barbatos suggested, noticing where Simeon's attention had gone.

Simeon put his hands up in front of him.

"My hands aren't as steady as they were when I was an angel. I'm worried I'll ruin your hard work," he declined. 

The demon considered him for a moment and then stepped back from the mural. He placed the small brush he was using in Simeon's hands and closed his fingers around the other man's digits. 

"I shall guide your hand and keep you steady," Barbatos said. 

He stood just behind Simeon, one hand settling on the other man's hip to anchor them both. His chest pressed lightly to Simeon's back. They raised their joined arms together and Simeon allowed Barbatos to take control of their movements. The brush met the wall and glided perfectly along the back of another koi fish, reinvigorating the orange of its scales. True to his word, the demon kept Simeon's hand steady as they filled in the small areas, working carefully around blocks of red and black that had already been detailed in.

When the fish was fully restored to its former glory, they lowered the brush together and left it in the rinsing water.

Their hands remained linked as they admired their work with small smiles. Barbatos's eyes shifted to Simeon as he turned to face him with that shy smile that made the demon's heart leap. He was suddenly very aware of how close they were to one another. Simeon's fingers were slotted between his own, and when he looked into the other man's eyes, he could almost count his elegant eyelashes and pick the different shades of blue flecked within his irises.

Simeon's eyes searched his. Barbatos's breath caught silently in his throat when the other man's eyes darted down to his lips before meeting his eyes once more. Barbatos's felt like he was floating. His eyes lowered to Simeon's mouth, and he wet his own lips with a brief flick of his tongue. Their faces drew closer, until he could smell the buttery scent of popcorn on Simeon's breath. 

Simeon pulled away suddenly and took a step out of reach. He carded fingers through his hair, leaving it messy as he moved backwards towards the edge of the raised platform. Barbatos's heart sank.

"I- I'm sorry, Barb. I didn't mean to be presumptuous about—"

Simeon was cut off with a gasp as he stepped back onto empty air, misjudging the edge of the platform.

A microsecond was all the demon required. The moment of disappointment was immediately forgotten as he sprang into action, leaping forward to catch Simeon's wrist. He was in his demon form as his torso fell past the edge of the platform with Simeon, and his tail wrapped around the railing before they could hit the ground.

"Oof!" Simeon huffed as they were jarred out of the fall.

The force of the sudden stop pulled through the demon's tail. He hissed in mild pain as their unsteady feet found the floor and released the railing to spare himself further strain. They crumpled to the floor, Simeon landing on his buttocks with Barbatos's kneeling with one knee between his legs.

I am far too old for such stunts, the demon lamented as he rubbed the base of his tail. He allowed his demon form to dissolve. 

"I'm sorry, that was careless of me," Simeon sighed.

"Are you harmed?" Barbatos asked, dismissing the lingering ache at the base of his spine.

"No, I don't believe so. You caught me in time. Thank you . . ." Simeon looked sheepish as he leaned back on his hands. 

"I am glad I was able to prevent your injury. You must be more careful with yourself," the demon gently chastised. 

Simeon released a heavy sigh.

"I know. Even after a few months like this, I still forget how fragile I am compared to before."

Barbatos's nodded his understanding.

"Humans are strong and resilient in their own way. It is simply a different strength to what you are used to. Do not mistake me—I do not mean to imply that you are weak like this."

Simeon lifted his eyes to the demon again.

"Thank you for saying that. I don't feel very strong in any way right now, but . . . Today has made me feel hopeful again."

The smile Simeon offered touched his eyes. Barbatos realised yet again how close they were to one another. He was still practically on top of Simeon, but the other man was not pulling away. The demon felt hopeful too, and perhaps, a little bold.

He thought he was being presumptuous when we almost kissed. I shall remedy that misconception.

One hand moved to rest against Simeon's cheek. His other hand was braced on the floor as he leaned his torso over the other man's, leaving no question of his intention. He tilted his head forward and held Simeon's gaze despite the way his own cheeks prickled with heat.

"I believe this is what you wished to do earlier," he whispered.

Simeon's eyes were wide and his face flushed before Barbatos steeled himself and closed the space between them. The demon closed his eyes as their lips met. He savoured the small sound of surprise that escaped the other man. It only took a second for Simeon to press forward, parting his lips as their mouths merged.

"Mn . . ."

Another small sound from Simeon sent his heart pounding. Barbatos broke the kiss slowly. He pulled back to look upon the former angel's face with hooded eyes, his breath shaking as he drew it in and let it out.

Simeon's surprised expression quickly morphed into one of bashful pleasure. The corners of his eyes crinkled as he smiled up at the demon. Their faces were still close. Barbatos felt Simeon's warm fingers against his jawline before the other man pulled him close for another kiss.

 

Notes:

It has been fourteen chapters since their spin the bottle kiss and they're finally kissing again. No pretext of a game this time and no audience. Yay! I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Let me know what you thought in the comments!

Chapter 36

Notes:

Ayo, this chapter is sexually explicit and very NSFW. I have bumped up the fic rating to reflect this hehehe. Enjoy~

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Simeon tasted like popcorn. His tongue was warm. Barbatos sighed into his mouth before they pulled apart, panting for air, only to crash together again immediately. Their kisses were slow but heated, needy. Every urge the demon had experienced over the past three days that told him to kiss the other man rushed forward as he carded his fingers through Simeon's hair.

"Mmh—"

The sound of approval encouraged him to deepen the kiss. He pressed his tongue past Simeon's lips again and felt the man's teeth catch on his bottom lip.

"Oh, Simeon—" he breathed.

Simeon's hand pressed to the back of his neck, immediately closing the hairs breadth between their lips. He kept pressure there as if to stop Barbatos from pulling away too soon. Barbatos shuffled forward so that the knee between Simeon's legs pressed against his crotch.

"Aah— Barbatos . . ." he sighed.

The butler rested his free hand on the former angel's shoulder as he kissed Simeon from above, subconsciously pressing him down until he was only propped up with one elbow. The hand at the back of the demon's neck slid down to the small of his back and pressed Barbatos's body down, closer.

The door to the theatre room opened, pouring sounds from whichever Harrison Porter film the others were watching into the loungeroom for a moment. The noise startled the pair apart and they turned their heads towards the source. The door from the loungeroom into the entrance hall was half-open. Through the gap, Barbatos could see that it was Lucifer and the Young Lord who had left the marathon. The moment the door closed behind them, they were pushing each other up against the wall and exchanging searing kisses in a playful fight for dominance. Simeon and Barbatos froze in place, but the whining moan Lord Diavolo released when Lucifer's mouth found his neck assured them that the other pair were thoroughly occupied.

However, despite their focus being solely on one another, the Young Lord and the Avatar of Pride were pulling and dragging each other towards the entrance hall, presumably on their way to their bedroom. Barbatos got swiftly to his feet and hauled Simeon up with him. He pulled the other man into the open doorway of the casual dining area. They pressed back against the wall next to the doorframe, quietly panting. They held their breath as Lord Diavolo and Lucifer made it into the entrance hall, bumping against the raised platform in front of the mural on their way across the room.

Barbatos and Simeon felt the thud of Diavolo being pushed back against the opposite side of the wall. They cast each other wide-eyed glances when Lucifer chuckled smugly.

"Does it please you when I grab you like this, my lord?" Lucifer teased him, earning a wanton moan from the prince.

Barbatos felt his face flush at the sound and covered his mouth with his hand. He looked at Simeon, who appeared to be in a similar state of flustered surprise as the pair on the side of the wall began kissing loudly.

"Yes, Daddy, just like that," Diavolo moaned.

Lucifer responded with a breathy sound of approval. The wet sounds of vigorous kissing continued, leaving the demon and former angel hiding in the next room hot under the collar. Their hands were still linked. Simeon squeezed Barbatos's finger to draw his attention. The demon watched the other man lick his lips. The butler was taken aback by the wordless suggestion.

I would have thought it would make him uncomfortable to hear Lucifer engaged in this manner.

Simeon's eyes flitted down to the demon's lips and then back up to his face, making the proposition crystal clear. The butler's breath hitched as they drew their faces close once more and resumed their own kissing. They kept quiet, their mouths melding together and breaking apart with barely a sound. Despite their hushed countenance, their movements escalated into something more desperate.

Simeon pressed the demon against the wall. He held Barbatos's face with one hand and braced himself against the wall with the other. Barbatos almost moaned when he felt the glide of Simeon's tongue against his own. Instead, he slid his arms over the former angel's shoulders, fingers slotting through his hair. Their bodies pressed against each other. Simeon still tasted like popcorn.

On the other side of the wall, Lord Diavolo swore quietly.

"I will have to reprimand you for that," Lucifer growled in a sultry voice. "Come along now. I will punish you for your foul mouth once we're in the bedroom."

"Hehehe, yes Daddy," Diavolo responded as the pair pushed away from the wall and carried on their way.

"I would not look so pleased if I were you. You've been very bad today, and I'm going to spank you thoroughly."

The door to their bedroom closed loudly before any more of their conversation could be overheard.

Simeon and Barbatos broke apart from each other, panting, and stifled a fit of giggles with their remaining proximity.

"Well, they were rather excitable, weren't they?" Simeon laughed.

Barbatos hushed him gently as he peeked around the doorframe. Faint moans escaped the Young Lord's bedroom, followed by the muffled sound of a smack. The demon turned back to Simeon with a smirk.

"It seems they are not the only ones tonight," he purred.

He only needed to see the coy smirk Simeon returned before he pulled the man to him again. Simeon sighed loudly against the demon's mouth and dropped one hand to his hip. Barbatos grinded against him without a thought as he pressed his tongue into Simeon's mouth again. Dragging the front of his culottes against Simeon's thigh made him realised how aroused he was. He was already becoming erect as they kissed and pressed close to one another. He broke away from Simeon's mouth to muffle a moan against his neck. He felt the tenting of Simeon's pants, too, and latched his mouth to the other man's throat. Then it was Simeon's turn to smother a lewd sound, against Barbatos's shoulder.

"M-maybe— ah— Maybe they have the right idea, taking things to the bedroom," Simeon managed as Barbatos sucked a mark to his throat.

The butler pulled back. They were panting as their eyes met. Barbatos's blood was pounding. He did not want to stop kissing, did not want to stop touching. He was hard and he wanted nothing except Simeon. A greedy type of lust rushed through him. He needed more of Simeon. As much as the former angel was willing to give. His tongue darted out to wet his lips before he replied.

"Yours or mine?" he asked, breathless.

"Mine," Simeon answered, pulling him back into the entrance hall and in the opposite direction to Lucifer and Diavolo's room.

It took all of twenty seconds to reach Simeon’s room. Filled with anticipation, Barbatos could have sworn it was the slowest twenty seconds of his ancient life.

As soon as the door was closed behind them, their lips crashed together again. Frantic and needy, they pushed and pulled at one another, sighing and moaning into messy kisses. Simeon's hands slipped past the hem of the demon's blouse and his palms flattened against the skin of his waist.

"Simeon," Barbatos hissed, pulling back only enough to speak.

Simeon's mouth moved to his neck instead, biting and sucking to create a mark to match the one the demon had bestowed upon him.

"I will not deceive you. I wish to continue. Is this what you want?"

"I need you, Barb," came Simeon's broken response. "Please. Please, don't stop kissing me."

Barbatos's cock twitched in the confines of his trousers. Simeon's plea only heightened his own urges.

"I shall do far more than kiss you," he vowed. 

He had the sense to cast a silencing spell over the room. After all, they would not want to wake Luke, especially not like this.

Their lips pressed together again, more urgent than before. Barbatos glided his hands up Simeon's chest, guiding him backwards until the other man was seated at the foot of his bed. The demon straddled his lap with his back to the door. He tilted Simeon's head back and kissed him deeply, pouring all of his greed and desire into the act as their bodies pressed closer than ever.

The demon's erection was aching to be freed, desperate for friction. Barbatos wanted to be greedy. He wanted to take, take, take. He needed to taste more. The former angel tasted like popcorn while they kissed, but Barbatos needed to know the taste of his skin, his sweat. He needed to commit every inch of this body to memory, to worship it, to serve it, to pleasure it.

His sounds are beautiful, he thought in the haze of the sins washing through him. Give me more of those sounds, Simeon.

Barbatos released the top three buttons of Simeon's shirt and dragged purple fingernails along the exposed skin. He pulled back to catch the other man's eyes, his own hooded as he continued to unbutton him. Simeon's eyes were glassy with lust and his lips were swollen from such violent kissing.

With Simeon's shirt completely open at the front, the demon's hands paused. Simeon released a shaky breath. His eyes fluttered closed and then opened again. Barbatos forgot how to breathe.

How can his eyes captivate me so? My body screams for more, but I would just as soon allow these oceans to drown me.

". . . Barb?" Simeon whispered after a long moment.

They were both still breathing heavily, taking in each other's scent with each inhale, tickling each other's lips with each exhale. Barbatos blinked out of his thoughts and looked down at the man beneath him.

He wanted to taste every inch of Simeon. He wanted all of him with immediacy. However, when he moved, he was slow. He leaned forward to kiss the corner of Simeon's mouth, then began a trail along his jaw and down his neck. Barbatos pushed the material of the unbuttoned shirt out of the way as he slid his hands to rest against Simeon’s abdomen. He nosed at the man's throat before continuing on his way down. He was rewarded with a breathy moan.

The demon slipped off Simeon's lap to kiss along his sternum and past his ribs. Barbatos nudged his knees apart and crouched before him. His lips hovered over Simeon's naval as he looked up at his face.

The face that looked back at him was flushed. Simeon's pupils were blown and his lips were parted as his breath shook with anticipation.

Barbatos flattened both hands to the material around Simeon's trapped cock. The demon held his gaze, searching for any sign of hesitation, but he found none. His fingers found the fastenings at the front of Simeon's trousers.

Simeon gripped the edge of the bed as his pants were unfastened. He lifted his hips as the butler pulled the article off and folded it without breaking eye contact. Only Simeon's underwear preserved his modesty.

Barbatos eyed the bulging fabric with restrained satisfaction before he slid his hands over it. Simeon sucked air between his teeth as his cock throbbed in response. Barbatos licked his lips, gently kneading the trapped length with his palm. A full-body shiver rippled through Simeon and it took all of the butler's self-control to slide the underwear down his legs instead of tearing them off.

He groaned quietly as Simeon's dick was freed, barely a touch away from being fully erect. Wrapping an elegant hand around the length, Barbatos looked up at Simeon's face again and slowly pumped the shaft, bringing him to full mast with a moan. 

The back of Simeon's hand covered his mouth to suppress the sounds escaping as Barbatos touched him. The demon could not take his eyes off the man before him, nor did he wish to. His own erection was straining for attention, but Barbatos refused to so much as palm at himself yet, savouring the satisfaction of those pretty sounds instead.

More.

He dragged his hand up Simeon's length, feeling his own pulse quicken at the sight of precum beading at the tip when his eyes wandered south again.

"Is this alright?" he asked, returning his gaze to Simeon's face. "Are you comfortable?"

Simeon drew in a gasping breath.

"Y-yes. Yes! Please, more—"

The butler parted his lips, allowing himself a small smile. His mouth watered. He swallowed thickly as he continued to touch the other man and observe every reaction. Simeon bucked against his palm with a whine and bit his lip. It flared the urgency for more within the demon again.

"May I use my mouth?" Barbatos checked, already dampening his lips with his tongue.

"Oh stars," Simeon breathed. "Please, yes!"

Barbatos held his eyes a moment longer, but there was no sign of hesitance or discomfort. Only need, desperate and heedless. It made the demon feel possessive. He needed to taste, to feel the heavy weight of Simeon's cock on his tongue.

The demon settled on his knees as he leaned forward. He gripped Simeon's shaft at the base and bowed his head forward. His lips brushed against the swollen head in a gentle kiss as he braced his free hand against Simeon's thigh. The other man's breath caught in his throat. Barbatos dragged his tongue across the tip, collecting the bead of precum. The taste spread across his tongue as Simeon muffled a cry.

"Ah!"

His cock throbbed in Barbatos's hand as the demon opened his mouth. Guarding his teeth with his lips, he took the head into his mouth.

"Mmm . . ."

"Oh—! Fuck—!"

Hearing Simeon curse surprised him and aroused him in equal measure. He pulled off to stare up at the other man. Simeon looked embarrassed. A small smirk reached the corner of the demon's mouth.

"Shall I take that to mean it feels good?" he teased, still pumping Simeon's cock with one hand.

The former angel was nodding vigorously before Barbatos even finished the sentence.

"It feels so good," he hissed. "Please, don't stop."

He returned his mouth to Simeon's penis without hesitation. He teased the head with his lips before sinking his mouth over the shaft, emitting a deep moan of appreciation.

Notes:

I hope you enjoyed this spicy interlude! The gwak gwak will continue next chapter~

And yes, I do headcanon that Diavolo calls Lucifer "Daddy" sometimes hehehe.

I freaking love reading your comments so tell me what you thought of this chapter!

Chapter 37

Notes:

Continuing the spice from the last chapter . . .

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

"Mnh . . . J-just like that, Barb," Simeon breathed.

A hand came to rest on the back of the demon's head. He did not push Barbatos down or hold him in place, but simply allowed his palm to rest there. Fingers twitched against dark green strands of hair as the demon used his mouth. They curled into the locks for a moment before Simeon smoothed down the hair he had displaced. He kept his palm there, disturbing and flattening the demon's hair again and again, as if to reassure the butler that this was his wish and that Barbatos was fulfilling it well.

Barbatos bobbed his head with measured strokes, revelling in the presence of Simeon's hand on the back of his head. He moved his hand along the length of Simeon's cock, his lips encompassing the swollen head and pressing around the glands just below. Then he sucked Simeon deep, taking him as far down his throat as he could. He squeezed Simeon's thigh with one hand as he swallowed around the thick mass, cupping the other man's testicles with his other hand. He moaned appreciatively around the length, allowing saliva to pool in his mouth. He held himself in place, savouring the way Simeon's cock pulsed. The saltiness of a fresh bead of precum spread over his tongue as he slowly pulled back, breathing deeply through the wetness in his mouth.

He tastes wonderful. More—

He moved his mouth faster, with vigorous, greedy motions as he chased after more of that taste. His tongue swiped across the tip and traced the underside before he pressed his face down, taking Simeon into his throat again.

The moans above him were no longer muffled, instead spilling freely into the dark room. The sound sent shivers through Barbatos. His culottes were still fastened, keeping his erection trapped behind the fabric. A damp spot was forming where the tip strained against his underwear. He ached for friction, but his free hand was gripping Simeon's thigh for balance as he indulged in the way the other man twitched and throbbed in his mouth.

Simeon's fingers curled into his hair again, but this time he did not release the strands. The touch drew the demon's attention away from his own lack of friction. He felt a second hand join the first, curling against the base of his skull to encourage the demon's ministrations. The digits flexed. Barbatos closed his eyes, savouring the taste of the other man on his tongue and the touch of digits against his scalp.

Simeon's cock began to twitch and throb with greater urgency. Pride welled inside the demon, knowing he could serve just as well with his mouth as with any other part of his being. He could make Simeon feel bliss, make him feel pleasure at a height that no other being could help him reach, make him sob with ecstasy as he released and poured himself down the demon's greedy throat—

"Barb . . . Barb, wait . . ."

The hesitance in the other man's tone and the gentle push of his hands had Barbatos pulling away immediately. He sat back on his knees and withdrew his touch from the other man. With an eyebrow raised in question, he quelled the demand of the sin rushing through him and met Simeon's gaze.

"You wish for me to stop?" he asked, wiping spittle from around his mouth with the back of his hand.

Did I miss a sign that he was not enjoying this?

He realised he was breathing heavily. He swallowed the excess saliva in his mouth and inhaled through his nose. His eyes travelled to the hard length between Simeon's legs. His own cock pulsed at the sight of the former angel's needy erection, visibly pulsing, excessively leaking. He could bring Simeon to completion so easily if he ignored the requested pause, but something in his heart—the same something that had drawn him to Simeon over the last three days—made him hold on to his self-control.

I am a demon, but I would not forgive myself if I deliberately disregarded his boundaries.

He swallowed again and forced his gaze back to the former angel's face.

"I don't want you to stop, just . . ."

Simeon looked embarrassed, rubbing the back of his neck as he averted his gaze. His teeth were digging into his lower lip. Barbatos tilted his head. His body—his greed—urged him to continue, but he would force himself to a stop if that was what Simeon chose.

"You're just . . . you're incredibly good at that," he said, clearing his throat. "I don't want to finish yet . . . Could we maybe slow down a little?"

Relief flooded through the demon, assured that he had not made the other man uncomfortable. The significance of that reassurance surprised him.

I would not have forgiven myself if I had made him uncomfortable accidentally, either. I would feel like I had betrayed him.

Simeon gave him an uncertain smile, and Barbatos realised he had not answered.

"My apologies," the butler said, hiding a smile of his own behind his hand. "I seem to have gotten rather carried away."

Simeon's laughter rang out as his embarrassment dissipated. Barbatos released a shivering breath.

I never wish to betray him. He has honoured me with his trust, and with his divine and sacred body.

Simeon carded hair back from his face and smiled crookedly down at Barbatos as the demon leaned forward again. He watched Barbatos with parted lips.

I will take everything he gives to me, only when he gives it to me.

The demon wrapped a hand around the base of Simeon's cock again and kissed his way from root to tip. Having stopped for a moment, he noticed how swollen his lips were from the way he had been pleasuring Simeon. They kept eye contact while Barbatos toyed with the weeping tip, kissing and licking with a smirk. Simeon's breath escaped in heady moans as the butler stimulated him at a slower pace, without allowing the sensations to become overwhelming.

Truth be told, Barbatos found a sadistic pleasure in this measured teasing, too. It was a torturous form of worship. He kept his lips wet as he kissed around the place where the head connected to the shaft. He licked damp stripes from the base to the tip. The taste of precum spread across his tongue each time he dragged over the weeping slit. Simeon trembled with all of these small sensations, and Barbatos relished every twitch he earned from his hardened length.

Simeon stopped him again with two fingers under the butler's jaw. Barbatos let the tip of Simeon's penis slip free from his mouth as he pressed up on his knees, meeting Simeon's lips halfway as the other man leaned forward. The former angel's eyes sparkled with mischief when he broke the kiss.

"I think you might be overdressed, Barb."

His voice was surprisingly low and husky. Barbatos felt his cheeks flush all over again. He pressed his lips together in a smile and stood up, taking a step back as he noticed how very naked Simeon was, while he remained fully clothed.

"Overdressed?" he repeated, smirking. "I see. I shall remedy this immediately."

Simeon's gaze was glued to him, a striking ethereal blue in the dim room. Barbatos felt unusually shy all of a sudden. He lifted the edges of his blouse slowly and pulled it off over his head. He folded it into a neat square before he unbuttoned and unzipped his culottes. Another wave of heat rushed through him when Simeon licked his lips.

He may no longer be an angel, but I cannot help but feel that something holy remains within him.

He shed the final article of clothing—his underwear, which bore a significant wet spot where his cock had strained against the fabric.

Once he stood naked, his cock hard against his stomach, he stepped towards the man on the edge of the bed. Their bare skin met as the demon settled with his knees either side of Simeon, tilting his head back to capture his lips again.

"Remove this," Barbatos urged, tugging the material of the shirt that still clung to the other man's arms.

Simeon was quick to comply, shedding the last scrap of clothing completely. He tossed it to the floor without hesitation and pressed his bare chest to the demon's.

"Mmm . . ." Simeon sighed, tracing the shape of Barbatos's torso. "Can I touch you?"

"Please do."

He guided the former angel's hand to his cock and groaned breathily at the warmth of Simeon's palm closing around the length. The contact was tentative at first, but as Barbatos claimed his lips anew, Simeon's hesitance was replaced with a surprising confidence. He gripped the demon's cock firmly, shifting the pressure as his hand moved. Barbatos rutted into the other man's hand, emitting a raspy sigh as he finally received the friction he desired. Simeon's other hand groped at his ass, kneading the plump flesh of one cheek as they shared touch and taste and heat.

The former angel's thumb slipped across the head of Barbatos's dick, smearing precum over the tip. The sensation made the demon gasp. He gripped Simeon's shoulder with one hand, breaking the kiss to press his face into the crook of his neck instead. Simeon's scent was sweetest there, filling his lungs which each ragged breath. His other hand went to the back of Simeon's head. He curled his digits through his hair, encouraging Simeon's head back to better expose his throat. Simeon whined as Barbatos created another mark on his neck, teasing the delicate skin between his teeth. He bucked beneath the demon, an involuntary jerk of his hips.

"Touch me again," he begged, taking Barbatos's hand from his shoulder and pushing it down to his erection. "Please."

"Move back and lay down," the demon said, shifting all of his weight onto his knees so that the other man could obey.

They scrambled up the bed. Barbatos pushed him down by the shoulders and positioned his hips over Simeon's. His knees pressed into the other man's sides as he settled above him, one hand pressed to his chest for balance. Simeon reached for the demon's cock again.

"No," he breathed. "Like this."

Barbatos hooked his fingers around Simeon's length and lifted it to press along his own. The kiss of hot smooth skin against hot smooth skin had them both moaning as Barbatos squeezed his hand gently and began to pump them both. Simeon swore on a whisper before his hand joined the demon's, encompassing both of their cocks at once.

Neither of them knew when they began to rock their hips as the blissful sensations built up. Strings of precum leaked from both of them onto Simeon's stomach, mingling on his abdomen. Simeon kept himself propped up on one elbow as he stared down at the place they joined, his lips parted as lewd sighs and moans spilled out of him. They throbbed against one another, their fingers overlapping in a carefully tight hold.

The way his dick began to jump under their combined touch alerted Barbatos to how close he was to cumming, but it was Simeon who came first. His head tilted back with a breathless cry as his orgasm spurted across his stomach. He failed to quiet himself as Barbatos continued to pump them together for a moment longer, until Simeon pulled his own hand away, overstimulated and panting.

Barbatos looked him over, letting the way Simeon moaned consume him. He admired the ecstatic tears that stained his cheeks. He bit his lip as he released, ejaculating hard over Simeon's abdomen.

Their heavy breathing filled the silence that followed. Simeon's face was brilliantly flushed, his hair tousled messily around his face. Barbatos watched him for a moment longer before he leaned down to press their lips together. Their eyes closed. Their kiss was not filled with heat and desperate urgency this time. It was gentle and sweet, like a reassurance. Comforting. Light. Simeon broke away with a soft laugh after a minute.

"Ahaha, it's going to drip onto the sheets if we're not careful."

Barbatos looked down between them. The mess of their seed on Simeon's stomach had spread and was creeping towards his sides. Smugness overtook the demon's mind for a moment as he watched a trickle that threatened to cascade down onto the bedding. Barbatos shuffled backwards, then lowered his upper body to press his tongue to Simeon's skin, catching the little rivulet. The unexpected touch made Simeon jolt and clamp a hand over his mouth.

"Ahaha, that was filthy," he teased. "Do you plan to clean it all up like that?"

Barbatos smirked at him as he slid off the bed.

"Perhaps another time, if it would please you," he said, fishing around in the pocket of his discarded pants. "Here."

He offered a handkerchief. Somehow, the moment Simeon took it, the spell of easy banter and confident suggestiveness evaporated. Simeon fumbled with the handkerchief for a moment, looking down. While the former angel cleaned himself, Barbatos found himself caught in uncertainty. His blood was still rushing from the way their evening had escalated, but he faltered at the question of what to do with himself now that their sexual desires had been sated. He considered the man on the bed. The space beside him was inviting, but Simeon's eyes were no longer meeting his. A worrisome thought occurred to him.

Did we move too fast tonight?

Simeon folded the soiled handkerchief and placed it on the bedside table. He sat up properly, his arms crossed over his chest and his knees raised to hide his softened cock from view. He still did not meet the butler's gaze.

"Um . . ."

Barbatos steeled himself.

"Are you alright?"

Simeon pondered the question for a moment. Barbatos saw the moment when his shoulders visibly relaxed.

"I think so, yes."

Cautiously, the demon perched at the edge of the bed. He reached for Simeon's hand and took it gently. Simeon gave no resistance, spreading his fingers to slot between the demon's. He was chewing his bottom lip as his eyes moved to their linked hands, then slowly lifted to Barbatos's face. A little more of the awkwardness lifted away.

"Will you stay here tonight?" he asked, almost at a whisper.

The demon squeezed his fingers. He shifted closer.

"I would very much like that, if it is what you want."

Simeon held his gaze a moment longer before he allowed the shy smile to return, crinkling the corners of his eyes.

"Lay down with me," he said, tugging Barbatos onto the bed properly.

They made themselves comfortable with their heads sharing a pillow, facing one another. They swapped shy glances and smiles across the short space between them. Barbatos rested a hand on Simeon's cheek. He leaned into the touch and moved his own hand to Barbatos's waist. Their lips met gently, foreheads together, eyelashes close enough to brush when they blinked. Their breathing was quiet, the silence undisturbed.

 

Notes:

Hmm hmm~

I think they enjoyed themselves. Did you? 😘

Chapter 38

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Footsteps drew Barbatos out of the light sleep he had fallen into. There was a pleasant sort of ache in his thighs and the ghost of lips and hands along his skin, serving as reminders of the intimacy he had shared with Simeon before they began to snooze. His skin had become cool without a blanket over him, but the warmth of the man beside him brought comfort.

The sound of rain plinking steadily against the exterior of the house acted as white noise, and it took him a moment to distinguish the quiet voices that travelled through the door. He opened his eyes and found Simeon's dozing face before him, eyelids twitching as the sounds of the house pulled him back into consciousness.

The others must have discontinued their film marathon to go to bed.

Two sets of footsteps entered the hallway that led to Simeon's room. A door creaked open—Solomon's, judging by the direction of the sound—and the voices of the sorcerer and Asmodeus became distinct. Barbatos lifted his head from the pillow, and the movement drew Simeon out of slumber. Celestial blue eyes opened, blinked sleep away, and widened in momentary surprise. Then as if recalling the evening, Simeon appeared to relax again. They exchanged a shy smile.

"Will you sleep with me tonight, princess?" Solomon's voice asked.

There was a long pause before Asmodeus responded.

"Not tonight, Solly."

Another pause. Barbatos could imagine the look of disappointment on the sorcerer's face.

"Alright . . ." he said, barely audible from within Simeon's room. "My door will open for you if you change your mind."

"Okay." There was a small smile in the demon's voice. "Goodnight, Solly."

"Goodnight, princess."

The quiet sound of a kiss on the other side of the door gave Barbatos a strange sense of relief. He heard Asmodeus take a step back.

"Hey . . ." Solomon spoke again, pausing his lover's departure. "I love you, Asmodeus."

The words were spoken with sincerity. Barbatos met Simeon's gaze. He could tell the other man was listening too. After a moment, they heard Asmodeus's quiet giggle.

"I love you too, Solomon. I'll see you in the morning." 

They listened to the Avatar of Lust retreating towards the entrance hall. His door clicked shut from further off. Solomon sighed, lingering in his own doorway a moment longer. He spoke an incantation to lock the room as he closed the door. Barbatos let out a held breath and settled his head on the pillow again.

The house was quiet after that. Laying in the dark, neither of them uttered a word. They blinked silently at each other across the soft space between them. They found each other's hand. Barbatos traced his thumb along the side of Simeon's index finger and over the ridge of the knuckle. The only sounds they heard in the dark were the drumming of the rain and each other's breathing. Simeon's eyes kept drooping shut and after a few minutes he shivered. He pressed closer to Barbatos.

"Can you pull the blanket over us?" he murmured.

The butler gave a soft chuckle, his breath tousling Simeon's hair against his forehead. Simeon cracked an eye open to peer at him.

"I think it would be wise to properly prepare for bed before we tuck ourselves in," Barbatos answered. "At the very least, we ought to brush our teeth."

Simeon's cheeks puffed out as he pouted.

"I disagree. That requires getting up and I would prefer not to do that. Too sleepy. And there are cuddles here."

Barbatos crinkled his nose at the other man, though he could not keep the amusement from his eyes.

"Come along, there will be cuddles once our teeth are clean."

Simeon's pout crumbled into despondence as Barbatos sat up on the bed and coaxed him to do the same.

"That means you're going back to your room, doesn't it?"

"That is where my toothbrush is presently located, yes."

As Simeon sat up, he looked away from Barbatos and drew his arms closer to himself. He worried his bottom lip with his teeth. The demon regarded him with a small frown.

"You are concerned that if I leave, I may not return," Barbatos stated.

Simeon glanced at him and looked away again before nodding.

"Is that incredibly selfish of me?"

"It is not," Barbatos assured him. He reached forward and slipped a hand beneath Simeon's chin, drawing the former angel's gaze back to him. "You asked me to remain here with you tonight. Unless you have reconsidered your request, I fully intend to return to you once my teeth are clean."

Simeon held his eyes for a long moment before he whispered, "Promise?"

Barbatos closed the small space between them and pressed his lips to Simeon's. It was soft and reassuring, though he did not linger, pulling back to speak again after mere seconds.

"I promise. I will not be long. You do still wish for me to sleep here tonight, yes?"

"Yes," Simeon confirmed, barely allowing the demon to finish the question.

They both blushed. Barbatos swung his legs over the side of the bed and stood. He moved with all of his usual elegance as he sought out his clothes. His back was to Simeon as he dressed. He could feel the other man watching from the bed and it took restraint to refrain from teasing him. Even so, Barbatos may have taken a little longer than necessary to slip his clothes back on, savouring the idea that Simeon was enjoying the view.

Once dressed, he turned to the former angel again and arched an eyebrow.

"I expect that you will have brushed your teeth by the time I return," he said gently. "Otherwise, I must withhold those cuddles we mentioned."

He could not help the playful jab. To his relief, Simeon's expression melted into a smile that reached his eyes and he was rewarded with a quiet burst of angelic laughter.

"Then I had best do as you've said," Simeon conceded. "I'll meet you back here soon."

Barbatos padded back through the entrance hall and into his own bedroom with silent steps. With the door closed behind him, he changed into a set of silky midnight green pyjama shorts and a white sleeveless shirt. He checked himself over in the mirror, feeling somewhat apprehensive about his appearance.

I mustn't be foolish. They are pyjamas. We are going to sleep. We have just spent hours together naked for goodness sake.

He still could not help but run his fingertips over his exposed skin. The ghost of Simeon's mouth and hands lingered in his senses. He drew in a shaky breath and let it out to regain his composure. Connecting his D.D.D. to the charger, he left it on his bedside table and collected his toothbrush.

If Barbatos had not been preoccupied with wanting to return to Simeon's room as soon as possible, he would have sensed the presence outside his door prior to opening it. Instead, he almost collided with Asmodeus, who greeted him with a sultry grin.

"Barbatos, you're practically glowing~" he sang with no regard to his volume.

Asmodeus somehow managed to take up the entire doorway with his lithe frame as he leaned close to the butler, leaving Barbatos with little choice but to endure his confrontation.

"Lower your voice," the butler hissed.

"I could sense the most delicious remnants of sex coming from Simeon's room when I said goodnight to Solly," he declared, wiggling his eyebrows in a suggestive manner.

A hot pink glow simmered in his irises and his pupils were dilated. He leaned closer to Barbatos, almost pressing his nose against the butler's cheek as he inhaled deeply. The butler stiffened. A minxy grin left Asmo's fangs visible. Barbatos could feel the feedback loop of Asmodeus taking in and amplifying every little hint of arousal he could detect. The butler pressed his lips in a firm line as the warmth beneath his skin pulsed.

"You used your mouth," Asmodeus purred. "How did he taste, Barbie?"

Barbatos levelled the Avatar of Lust with a warning glare, though his heart was thudding.

Good grief, I should have better guarded myself when I opened this door . . .

"Asmodeus," he said seriously. "You will not breathe a word of this to a single soul, unless you wish to become intimately familiar with one of the torture chambers beneath the Demon Lord's Castle."

"Ooh, kinky~"

"Asmodeus."

"Alright, alright!" He raised his hands to placate the butler, exhaling as he let the feedback loop of lust dissipate. The hot pink glow of his eyes faded, though he could no banish the mischievous glint that remained. "I won't mention it to anyone, Barbie. As long as you share all the juicy details with me later~"

Barbatos gave a long-suffering sigh, touching his fingers to his forehead and dragging them down his face in a rare show of resigned frustration.

"But what are you doing here? Why did you leave Simeon's bed?" Asmo pried, pouting.

"I shall return to him once I brush my teeth," Barbatos explained, proffering his toothbrush for emphasis.

Asmodeus gaped at him, scandalised.

"That's why you left the bed?!" His voice rose and the butler hissed at him to be quieter again. Dropping his voice, Asmodeus continued. "You couldn't just wait until morning?!"

"Does nobody appreciate oral hygiene?" the butler asked, incredulous.

No sooner had he uttered the words, Asmodeus's eyes glowed pink again as he smirked.

"I think you and Simeon appreciated oral something tonight—"

Barbatos flattened his hand on Asmodeus's chest and pushed him out of the doorway, refusing to allow the other demon another chance to connect to the lustful embers within him. The Avatar of Lust squeaked as he struggled to keep balance. He huffed after Barbatos as the butler locked himself in the bathroom that serviced this hallway.

His cheeks were bright red as he brushed his teeth. Asmodeus's words had prompted him to recall some of the more explicit moments of the evening. Particularly, moments when his mouth was around Simeon's penis. A hot flush ran through his body, even without the Avatar of Lust gazing into his eyes. He was sure that Asmodeus would be able to sense the wave of lust that surged through his body, regardless of where he was in the house—he was certainly within range, especially if Asmodeus was actively remaining aware of such things. Barbatos fanned his face as he watched himself in the mirror. His eyes were drawn to the dark hickey in the shape of Simeon's mouth that had formed on his neck. He pressed a finger over the mark with reverence, his mind singing with the sound of Simeon's sighs and gasps.

He was half hard again. His cock formed a clear outline against the smooth fabric of his pyjama shorts. He wanted to return to Simeon and act upon his desires. Desires he now knew the former angel shared.

However, I cannot assume that he wishes to repeat our tryst.

He chose to distract himself, waiting for the arousal to settle. He fussed in the mirror, carding fingers through his hair to make the sleep-tousled locks sit perfect again. His lips remained swollen from the way he had kissed and sucked the former angel, and he took a moment to admire their fullness without letting his mind linger on the cause. He clicked his tongue after a few minutes, satisfied that his urges had sufficiently subsided, and finally left the bathroom.

Asmodeus was emerging from Barbatos's bedroom with a smirk across his lips. He practically lit up when he saw the butler approaching, even as the other demon frowned at his suspicious behaviour. The Avatar of Lust gave him a saucy look.

"I've left some goodies on your bedside table, next to your D.D.D.," Asmo winked. "Have fuuuun~"

He scurried back to his own bedroom, leaving Barbatos to tsk with indignation. Sure enough, when he stood in the doorway, his attention was drawn to the aforementioned "goodies". He stared blankly at the assortment of items, unable to process for a moment. When his mind finally caught up with reality, he felt hot everywhere, all over again.

Arranged on his bedside table next to his charging D.D.D., the assortment included one of the expensive bottles of lube he had seen in Asmo's room that morning, a generous supply of condoms, a matching pair of bejewelled butt-plugs, and a set of fluffy pink handcuffs.

Barbatos buried his face in his hands as heat spread across his chest, up his neck to the tips of his ears, and down past the pit of his stomach. His cock stirred against his pyjama shorts once more.

Stars have mercy . . .

Deciding that he did not require his D.D.D., Barbatos closed the door and walked away. He took several deep breaths when he reached the entrance hall, forcing away the myriad of salacious thoughts that riddled his mind. He focused his sights on the mural restoration Simeon had assisted with earlier in the evening, picking out the colours each of them had filled in. A fond smile tugged the corners of his mouth.

Perhaps Simeon and I shall explore each other's preferences and desires further another time. But he was quite tired when I left him. Tonight, I shall be content to sleep at his side.

Notes:

I was *this close* to having Asmo lick Barb's mouth to get a taste of Simeon, but it just didn't feel right in this fic, all things considered. Perhaps that happened in an alternative timeline.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Tell me what you thought in the comments. I love reading the comments <3

Next chapter? More cuddles.

Chapter 39

Notes:

A few days late, but Merry Christmas! I swear there wasn't meant to be anything spicy in this chapter, it was just meant to be cuddles but then I started editing it and suddenly it was 1200 words longer and— well, you'll find out if you read it. Consider it my Christmas present to you all.

Content warning: This chapter includes references to self-harm. Reader discretion is advised.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Simeon's door was ajar. Barbatos still wrapped his knuckles against the wood, soft enough that the sound would not disturb anyone else in the house. Simeon was pacing the small room, nerves apparent until the gentle knock drew his attention to the demon in his doorway. Then it was as if all his worries melted away. He came to a standstill at the foot of the bed and waited for Barbatos to step into the room and close the door.

"You really came back," he said, looking sheepish. "I know you promised that you would, but I still worried . . ."

The demon offered a reassuring smile as he appraised the former angel. Simeon was dressed in the same pyjamas he had worn when they had fallen asleep together with Luke between them, the first night the beach house had hosted additional guests. The long-sleeved shirt and track pants were baggy and thick. Simeon had opened the window, allowing the cool breeze from outside to air out the stuffiness of the room, but he already seemed too warm in his sleepwear.

A sad understanding tugged at the demon’s chest.

Even his nightclothes were chosen to cover his scars. He went to such efforts to hide his pain from all of us.

The butler stepped closer to Simeon and searched his eyes.

"Do you still wish for me to stay here with you tonight?"

"I do. If that's alright."

Simeon looked at the floor and rubbed his nape.

"I would also prefer to stay here with you tonight," Barbatos said, stopping when he was close enough to touch the other man if he leaned forward. "The breeze is nice, but the night is still warm and humid. Will you be comfortable in what you are wearing?"

The ends of Simeon’s sleeves slipped over his fingers and he toyed with the fabric.

"I didn't bring anything lighter to sleep in . . ."

Barbatos hummed, considering the man before him. Slowly, he reached forward and grasped the material at the front of Simeon's shirt. He gave a subtle tug to draw his attention.

"We could sleep without clothes," he suggested, holding eye-contact. "Like we did last night."

Simeon's cheeks blossomed with warmth and Barbatos felt his own face heating too. A shy smile crept to Simeon's mouth. His eyes darted away and then returned to the demon's.

". . . Would that be alright?" he asked quietly.

Barbatos allowed his fingers to hook beneath Simeon's shirt.

"I would not have offered if I did not consider it acceptable."

Simeon's eyes softened. He nodded his agreement.

Barbatos adjusted his hold on the edge of the shirt and began to pull the material up, exposing Simeon's stomach. He moved slowly, keeping his eyes on Simeon's face. The former angel raised his arms above his head as the material was lifted to expose his ribs. Carefully, Barbatos peeled the shirt away. It was a force of habit to fold the garment into a neat square. The warmth of Simeon's body clinging to the fibres felt pleasant on his skin. He set the folded shirt down without taking his attention off the other man.

Simeon held himself meekly once his upper body was bare. With his arms folded up to his chest, his hands overlapped against his sternum. His gaze shifted away from Barbatos's face. The demon placed his own hands over Simeon's. He coaxed them away, standing so close that he could feel the warmth that radiated from the other man's chest.

"Simeon. Look at me," he whispered.

Celestial blue eyes met his. Simeon held his breath.

"I have already seen the scars," Barbatos soothed. "We have already seen each other bare tonight. You have nothing to hide from me."

His gentle tone helped Simeon relax. Barbatos brought one of the other man's wrists towards him and lifted it to his face. He pressed a kiss against the inside of Simeon's arm, allowing his lips to linger on a pale scar. Then another. Then another.

Simeon exhaled with a shudder. Barbatos allowed him to lower his arm. He cupped one of Simeon's cheeks. Their foreheads pressed together. Their lips met, brushing lightly.

"I like your pyjamas," Simeon murmured. "But you'll take them off too, won't you?"

He fingered at the bottom of Barbatos's sleeveless nightshirt. The hint of a smile quirked the corner of his mouth. It was a small sign of hesitant playfulness.

"But of course," Barbatos confirmed.

For the second time that evening, they undressed together. Barbatos insisted on folding all of the clothes and leaving them neatly on the dresser. He raised an eyebrow when Simeon giggled at him.

"Even in the heat of the moment, like earlier, you still fold all the clothes. I think you're a bit of a cutie, doing things like that."

The butler's face flushed and he scowled at the former angel.

"I once had quite the altercation with a witch for calling me a cutie. In the end, I deflected one of her spells and she turned herself into a toadstool."

Simeon's eyes lit up and he threw his head back with a loud laugh. The sudden volume made the demon jump.

"It is fortunate that the spell I cast over the room to keep the noise in is still in effect," he said, tersely.

Simeon smothered his mouth, but his eyes remained alight with mirth.

"Does it still work with the window open?"

"To an extent. The effectiveness is reduced. Consider the open window a hole in the spell," he said, crossing his arms as Simeon continued to giggle.

This man . . . is going to be the death of me. Damn his beautiful laughter.

His disapproval flickered, chipped away by the melodious sound. Simeon's eyes narrowed on the cracks in the stern mask. Then the former angel grabbed his waist and pulled their naked bodies together, drawing a gasp from the demon.

"Are you going to fight me too, cutie?" he purred, his voice sultry and his eyes hooded.

Before Barbatos could stop himself, he whined.

He clamped a hand over his mouth, mortified by the lewd sound he had emitted. Even more so with the way Simeon's eyes went wide with surprise. And even more so again when his cock throbbed between them, erect again.

Damn it all—

"Well!" Simeon snickered. "I think you like it when I'm assertive."

The demon covered his face with his hands, his disgruntlement forgotten entirely. Simeon pushed him down to a seated position at the edge of the bed. The butler's breath hitched at the warm hand that encompassed his cock and he pulled his hands away from his face with a groan.

"S-Simeon, what are you doing?"

Asking the question made him feel dumb, but he did not know what else to say as he watched Simeon kneel and press his mouth to the side of his cock in a way that made Barbatos gasp.

"I don't think I have it in me to go again just yet, but the least I can do is take responsibility for getting you worked up like this," he teased.

Looking up at the demon, Simeon took Barbatos's cock into his mouth with an airy hum and slid his lips down the butler's shaft. He bobbed his head gently, inviting the length into his throat as he massaged the underside with his tongue. The pleasurable sensations prickled through the demon in waves.

"Wait, Simeon, you needn't—"

Barbatos gasped as Simeon pulled off and pumped him with one hand.

"I want to. Is that alright?" he asked, head tilting to one side.

Barbatos's cheeks burned as he looked down the length of his body.

I do not believe there is a timeline where I do not find this perfectly acceptable . . .

"Nng . . . please . . ." he sighed, muffling the sound against his palm.

Simeon smiled up at him. Celestial blue eyes danced with revelry. Barbatos huffed with playful resignation.

"I am glad you are enjoying the state you have left me in."

Simeon chuckled. The former angel wrapped his lips around the tip of the demon's penis, teasing for a moment before sliding it deeper. He worked his warm mouth with devotion, unhurried and patient. He asked for nothing in return, guiding the demon's hands into his hair and encouraging him to press him down.

Barbatos muffled his moans as best he could, knowing the window was still open. There was a thrill in that risk. It surprised him that Simeon would take the chance, but that only made it more exhilarating to participate in the act. However, unused to being serviced, at least without reciprocating, it took Barbatos a few minutes to stop fretting about the need to return the favour. He focused on the sensations pulsing through him, the hot wetness of Simeon's mouth encompassing him, and allowed his mind to quiet the part of him that felt he should be the one on his knees.

He did indicate that he may not be able to cum again. He is human now. I suppose that comes with physical limitations that effect certain performance abilities. But dear stars, his mouth . . . How in the three realms does such a pure being know how to suck dick like this?!

Barbatos began to press his fingers to the back of Simeon's head, allowing himself to become lost in the feeling of the man's mouth around his cock. The firm but steady drag of the former angel's tongue passing over the engorged glands of his length with each pass of his mouth brought him steadily towards bliss.

The orgasm almost caught him off guard, creeping up from the pit of his stomach as Simeon bobbed his head. Barbatos curled his fingers into Simeon's hair. He leaned back on one elbow, biting his lip to smother a cry as he came.

He was panting when Simeon slipped his cock from his mouth. The former angel swallowed the thick liquid and thumbed away a stray droplet that had trickled down his chin. A little smirk curved his lips.

"You look incredibly pleased with yourself," Barbatos said, his cheeks burning.

Simeon giggled and sat beside him on the bed. They leaned on each other for a moment before the demon caught the other man's mouth in a kiss.

"You are hard," the butler noted, tracing a finger down Simeon's stomach. "Shall I return the favour now?"

Simeon caught his hand and shook his head with a shy laugh.

"Not tonight," he said, glancing away.

Barbatos acknowledged the decision by interlacing their fingers instead. Their lips met quietly a few more times. Simeon cleared his throat with a rueful smile.

"I think I'll brush my teeth again."

--

Afterwards, they lay in bed together, facing one another. Barbatos drew the blanket up over them. He pulled the other man closer. Warmth spread through him when Simeon's arms wound around his torso. The anxious tension that had lingered when Barbatos had first returned to the room was long gone. The demon felt himself relieved by its absence as they settled for the night.

"This is nice," Simeon murmured. "Thank you for coming back."

Barbatos gave a quiet laugh.

"Asmodeus accosted me when I left to brush my teeth earlier," he sighed. "He claimed that he could sense our intimacy when he was outside the door with Solomon."

Simeon scoffed. A wry smile twisted his mouth.

"Somehow, I am not surprised. I suppose that means the whole house will know by morning that you and I have slept together?"

"Not if he values his genitals, which I believe he does, quite significantly," Barbatos said.

Simeon smothered his next burst of laughter between the pillow and Barbatos's shoulder.

"Assuming no one heard you moaning through the open window just now."

Barbatos could not help but smile. A quiet chuckle chuffed against Simeon's hair. The former angel broke the quiet again after a moment.

"It sounds like he and Solomon are working things out. I'm glad, even if I am still upset with Solomon."

Barbatos hummed his agreement.

"Indeed. They shall recover from their falling out, provided Solomon remains committed to making amends."

There was a long pause as they held each other, sharing warmth under the sheets. The demon could sense a hint of that anxious tension returning as Simeon tensed in his arms. He attempted to soothe the feeling away by rubbing small circles with his thumb against the base of Simeon's neck. The former angel sighed after a few minutes.

"Are we okay?" Simeon whispered.

"I believe so. Nonetheless, I think it would be wise to discuss . . . this." Barbatos tightened his hold on Simeon for a moment, then allowed his fingers to glide down the length of the other man's spine. "But not tonight."

Simeon nodded his agreement, squeezing the butler in return.

"Could we go for another drive tomorrow?" he asked, his voice thick with sleep.

Barbatos's heart skipped a beat as he recalled the car ride they had shared that afternoon. He smiled against Simeon's hair. He considered the weather timeline he had made himself aware of to best serve the Young Master and their guests at the beach house.

"Perhaps in the afternoon. The weather ought to have settled by then, but there will be a storm in the morning."

He felt Simeon smile against his throat, warm lips catching on his skin.

"I like being alone with you," he murmured.

The soft admission seemed to rid them both of the sliver of anxious tension that had reappeared. Barbatos felt drowsy. He inhaled deeply, filling his lungs with the scent of the man beside him, savouring the comfort of their skin meeting without the barrier of clothing, and listening to the steady rise and fall of Simeon's breath.

"I quite enjoy it too."

He had a feeling the other man was asleep before he responded, but it mattered little. Barbatos drifted off not long afterwards. Their limbs remained entangled. Their bodies stayed close. The steady beat of rain carried in through the open window, drumming against the weatherboard throughout the night.

Notes:

We still ended on a sweet note rather than a spicy note! I hope you enjoyed the accidental addition of a spicy scene. Are you looking forward to Barb and Simeon going on another drive together? 😈

Barbatos did canonically get into a fight with a witch for calling him a cutie, which he shares with Luke in the Sweet Tooth daily chat 'Cute Barbatos'.

I love reading your comments (omg we hit 800 comments wtf that's awesome thank you?!). So please let me know what you think of this chapter!

Chapter 40

Notes:

Happy New Year, folks! I'm ringing in 2023 with more explicit Simeon/Barbatos smut. This chapter is very NSFW. Please enjoy!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

The rain was thundering down when Barbatos awoke. The air that flowed in through Simeon's bedroom window was cold, but it still carried a sticky humidity. Despite the heavy clouds, the false sun of the Devil's Coast forced its light through, though the light grey was only marginally brighter than it would have been elsewhere in the Devildom on a clear day.

As the butler blinked sleep from his eyes, he focused on the man beside him. Simeon's lips were parted and his hair needed brushing, the strands tangled and sticking up oddly. He looked so peaceful in sleep. The gentle rise and fall of his chest and the warmth that radiated from his bare skin left Barbatos reluctant to depart.

Alas, a butler's day must begin.

The demon slipped from the bed, leaving Simeon's arm stretched over the space he had occupied, cradling the remnants of his warmth. The muggy air was cool enough to cause goosebumps along the butler's skin. He stepped around the bed to quietly pull the window shut. The drumming of rain became muffled through the glass, but still loud. He looked through the windowpane, allowing a wisp of foresight to touch his eyes as he examined the sky.

The storm will begin shortly after breakfast. The worst will pass before midday, though the rain will endure until two o'clock in the afternoon. The sky will clear by moonrise.

His breath fogged the glass while he assessed the day. He stepped back and moved to where his clothes were folded on the dresser next to Simeon's.

Jaffles for breakfast. Soup and fresh bread for lunch. I shall prepare roasted shadow goose for dinner. Yes, an ideal set of meals for a cold day.

He pulled on his underwear and dark green silky sleep shorts while he considered how much time he needed to allow for preparation and cooking. He lost the train of thought as he pulled the sleeveless shirt on, when he caught his own reflection in the mirror on Simeon's dresser. He touched the hickey that had bloomed on his neck, darker than it was last night. He smiled to himself.

I will need to cover these before anybody sees.

He scanned the rest of his visible skin. A strange sense of disappointment tickled his stomach when he found no further physical evidence that he had lain with Simeon. However, there may have been truth in what Asmodeus had said—he felt as if he were glowing. He had slept soundly once he and Simeon had gotten comfortable. There was still a mild ache in his thighs from straddling and grinding, and that realisation gave him satisfaction.

The quiet rustling of sheets drew his attention back to the bed. Simeon had sat up and was knuckling sleep out of his eyes as he watched the butler. The demon's heart stuttered at the sight—the vibrant blue of his eyes was so captivating, yet they held so much trepidation. The blankets slid down to gather below the man's naval, displaying his elegantly muscular torso, but his body appeared rigid with tension.

"Oh . . . Are you leaving?" he asked.

Simeon's voice was husky, and Barbatos could not tell if that was because he had only just woken up, or if it was a sign of fear. The wariness in his gaze as he looked over the demon suggested the latter and Barbatos disliked that possibility. He turned to face Simeon properly and stepped towards the bed.

"I need to prepare breakfast for everyone," he said, letting his knees rest against the mattress. "It is still quite early. You may wish to continue sleeping for a while longer."

He knelt on the bed, his legs folded beneath him as he addressed the other man. Simeon's eyes flickered down to the butler's pyjamas, his mouth twisting with hesitance. Barbatos reached a hand out, tucking a flyaway strand of hair behind Simeon's ear.

"Did you sleep restfully?" he asked, allowing his fingertips to linger on Simeon's cheek.

He waited patiently for the former angel to lift his gaze. When their eyes met, Simeon seemed to search his for a long moment before he answered.

"I slept well. Really well, in fact. Did you?"

Barbatos smiled as he watched Simeon begin to relax again.

"I feel quite well rested," he confirmed. "I do not recall the last time I slept quite so soundly."

A dark flush rose to Simeon's cheeks and the corners of his mouth turned up in a shy smile. He breathed a sigh of relief. Barbatos was pleased to see his concerns fade.

"I'm glad you stayed with me last night," Simeon said, leaning a little closer. "I hope we can spend more time together like that."

He seemed almost embarrassed by the sentiment, but the words made Barbatos flush. The warmth beneath his skin began to simmer in his blood. His eyes narrowed on Simeon's lips for a moment as he licked his own.

"We shall, if that is what you wish," he said, finding his voice sticking to his throat.

Without another word, he closed the space between them and caught Simeon's mouth with his own. Eyes closed, he hummed when he felt the other man kiss back. It was a gentle pressing of lips, a teasing promise for more. Barbatos's hand remained on Simeon's cheek. He felt the warmth of the other man's palm on his thigh. They separated from the kiss, breathless. Simeon's hand shifted higher along the demon's leg.

"Are you sure you have to get up right now?"

He murmured the question against the demon's mouth as they continued kissing. Their lips lingered longer, parting to allow their tongues to meet and caress.

"Couldn't you stay? Just a little longer?"

The press of Simeon's thumb along the inside of the demon's thigh had Barbatos humming with approval. Ripples of pleasant sensation stirred in his groin. The invitation of Simeon's palm skimming higher on his leg made him stir with arousal. The taste of the other man's mouth was addictive, even with the sour hint of morning breath. Barbatos's body shifted closer, encouraging the hand that wandered over the silky material of his sleep shorts.

Simeon's other hand came to rest on his hip, slipping beneath the material of the sleeveless shirt as he coaxed Barbatos into his lap. The demon gave into the desires, straddling Simeon over the blanket that had bunched in his lap. With the other man beneath him, Barbatos felt his cock hardening against the silky material of his sleep shorts. One of his hands fell to Simeon's lap, feeling through the blanket for the other man's arousal. Simeon gasped with a small moan as the demon's hand pressed over his growing erection through the material. His own coyness disregarded, Simeon palmed boldly at the outline of the demon's penis, readily apparent against the fabric of his shorts.

"I suppose I could shower after breakfast," Barbatos conceded.

He canted his hips as they continued to kiss, mouths working hotly and hands exploring. The way Simeon held Barbatos in place and began to guide his movements sent a shiver of lust through the demon. Simeon was broader in the shoulders and more muscular. If Barbatos refrained from using any of his demonic strength, it was easy to allow Simeon control. He felt the other man's hips raise beneath him, searching for friction as Barbatos's hand traced back up to his chest.

Barbatos gasped when both of Simeon's hands clutched at his backside and he was pulled flush against the other man. He took the action as encouragement. He gripped Simeon's shoulder with one hand. The fingers of his other hand tangled in Simeon's hair and he grinded his hips down. The drag of smooth fabric against his trapped cock made him hiss. The other man took the opportunity to deepen the kiss. Simeon raised one hand to the back of Barbatos's head, his tongue thrusting deeper with a hungry moan.

The sound made Barbatos's arousal throb. He raked his nails along the back of Simeon's shoulders without thinking, making the other man's back arch.

"Ah—"

Barbatos pulled back quickly.

"Apologies—"

"N-no, do it again," Simeon said, his tone commanding. "Fuck, Barb, do it again."

The demon's heart raced. He pressed the blunt nails of his human form to the base of Simeon's shoulder blade and watched his face as he dragged up and over his shoulder, leaving the skin gently grazed in his wake. Simeon sighed with appreciation as his back arched again.

"Fuck, yes—"

The way he cursed made Barbatos's face heat up. The butler kept the pressure of his nails light and dragged them across the backs of Simeon's shoulders, from one side to the other. He felt Simeon tremble beneath him. Simeon's head tilted back with a moan.

"Is that to your liking?" Barbatos asked, eyes gleaming.

In response, Simeon's mouth latched to the exposed skin above the demon's collarbones. Barbatos sighed appreciatively, turning his head to one side to provide easier access. Simeon's hands were kneading and massaging along his thighs and ass, keeping the demon close. The warmth of the other man's mouth at the base of his neck, sucking skin between teeth, left Barbatos leaking precum against the fabric of his shorts. He hissed against Simeon's hair and bucked his hips again.

Simeon released Barbatos's skin with a wet smack of his lips and leaned back to look at him, panting for breath. A dark mark blossomed against the demon's clavicle, still wet with saliva. Barbatos smirked as he looked at Simeon again. The other man was leaning back on one arm, looking up at the demon with flickers of uncertainty in his otherwise confident gaze. He took Barbatos's hand from his shoulder and guided it down to his crotch, nudging the blanket out of the way to expose himself. He placed the demon's hand over his cock, wrapping his fingers over Barbatos's.

"Touch me," he said.

The assertiveness of his tone and the gesture was pleasing to the demon. He complied readily, moving his wrist to stimulate the other man. He provided firm and slow strokes, sliding his hand all the way up and over the swollen head of Simeon's dick and back down to the base of his shaft. Simeon gave airy sighs as rewards, watching the expert way Barbatos moved his hand for a moment before he reaching for the waist of the demon's shorts and underwear. He pulled the front of the elastics towards him and down, immediately freeing Barbatos's cock.

"Ah— Simeon—" Barbatos sighed.

Simeon's hand encompassed his length. Barbatos covered his mouth with his free hand to muffle a whine as the other man began to pump. The pad of Simeon's thumb swiped up from the underside of the tip and pressed over his slit, smearing a bead of precum, and making the butler's hips jerk. Simeon gave a chuckle in response.

"You look especially pretty when you lose composure," he teased, blue eyes bright with mischief.

"Fuck . . ." Barbatos breathed his own profanity, his eyes scrunched shut.

He had been embarrassed at first when Simeon's assertiveness had plunged him into both arousal and submission last night. However, the idea of coming undone in front of Simeon, because of Simeon, no longer seem so unfathomable.

He squeezed his hand around Simeon's cock, mimicking the way the other man had touched him. He was satisfied with the way Simeon jolted beneath him, sucking air through his teeth. Smirking, Barbatos grabbed Simeon's face with his free hand and crashed their lips together. There was a hungry demand in the way their mouths moved, teeth dragging and scraping against lips, tongues hot and heavy against each other. They broke apart to tear Barbatos's shirt off again. Simeon tossed it to the floor, neither of them concerned with folding it.

"Tell me what you want," Barbatos said as Simeon leaned forward.

The former angel's lips skimmed at his collarbone and he anticipated another hickey, but instead the man's lips shifted further down. The cool air of the room had left Barbatos's nipples pebbled without his shirt. Simeon flattened his tongue against one, massaging languidly while Barbatos groaned approvingly. Their hips were grinding, their hands still wrapped around each other's cock. The demon dragged his nails along Simeon's back again. Simeon let his teeth graze Barbatos's nipple, making the butler hiss with pleasure.

He hesitated as he pulled back from Barbatos's chest, a shy blush tinting his cheeks. The uncertainty was suddenly far more apparent on his face. The demon paused the stimulating motion of his wrist, but did not release Simeon's cock.

"Should I stop?" he checked, leaning back to give Simeon a serious look when he felt the other man's hand come to a standstill too.

Simeon chewed his lower lip for a moment before meeting the demon's gaze. His cheeks were flushed, but despite his uncertain expression, there was a hint of determination in his eyes.

"I want to be on top," he declared. "Is that alright?"

Barbatos was taken aback by the assertion. His mouth twisted into a pleased smirk again.

"As you wish," he purred.

Before he could dismount, Simeon grabbed his hips and flipped them. The air was knocked from Barbatos's lungs as his back hit the mattress with force he had not been braced for and he looked up with wide eyes at Simeon, kneeling between his legs. Barbatos's face turned pink. He felt like putty all of a sudden. And the visual signs of his submission further ignited Simeon's confidence.

Simeon tugged the silky pyjama shorts and underwear down the demon's legs, prompting Barbatos to bend his knees to assist as Simeon scrambled to dispose of them. They joined the butler's shirt somewhere on the floor. Barbatos dropped his feet to the mattress either side of Simeon, knees against the other man's hips. The former angel leaned over him and pressed himself down to assault the demon's mouth again. They both moaned into the kiss, hands in each other's hair.

"Wrap your legs around me," Simeon managed, breathless.

He gave an airy sigh when the demon complied with perfect haste. Barbatos did not even pause to think. He loved to serve. Slipping into obedience was effortless. His legs hooked around Simeon's hips, dragging the former angel down to grind on him while also raising himself up to meet the pressure partway. He hummed against Simeon's mouth, relishing the hot smoothness of his cock nestled against his own. Each minute movement of their hips slid their lengths against each other, pressed between their stomachs.

Simeon's mouth shifted to the butler's neck, and Barbatos's teeth found his shoulder in return. The demon did not allow fangs to pierce flesh, but just as he glided his blunt fingernails along the former angel's back, he grazed his teeth over the firm flesh and felt the muscle below ripple.

Simeon remained laying above him, leaving more marks on his neck. One hand was braced against the mattress beside the demon, while the other groped at his ass and thigh, savouring the feeling of the demon's legs wrapped around his body, inviting him to stay. When he sat up on his knees to admire the bruises that he had decorated Barbatos's neck and collarbone with, his other hand pressed over their lengths. Barbatos pushed himself up onto his elbows, chasing Simeon's lips, but a firm hand to his chest guided him back down. His head found the pillow, chest rising and falling with heavy breaths as he assessed the way Simeon watched him.

"Stars . . . You look so beautiful like this," Simeon breathed.

The former angel squeezed their erections together, slowly moving his hand up and down to stimulate them. Barbatos moaned quietly, muffling the sound with the back of his hand. His lower back arched away from the mattress as pleasure pulsed through him. Simeon reached forward with his other hand and splayed his fingers across the butler's cheek. His thumb dragged over the demon's lips, teasing at the edge of his teeth until Barbatos pressed his tongue to the pad. He closed his lips around Simeon's digit and drew it into his mouth, swirling his tongue. Simeon eyes shone with delight. He pressed his thumb down on the demon's tongue.

"Ng . . . You sucked my cock so well last night," Simeon praised, his voice light but low. "Your mouth felt sensational."

Barbatos closed his eyes, groaning around the digit in his mouth as the praise washed over him. He gripped at the bedsheets as the honeyed words fuelled his desire for more. Simeon released his own cock and gave his attention over to the demon. He massaged the glands along the underside and watched the way Barbatos's dick throbbed under his ministrations. Dampness beaded at the tip, growing the more Simeon teased and toyed with him, squeezing and sliding his hand. The demon had given in to submission, and the only thing muffling his moans was Simeon's thumb in his mouth. Simeon withdrew his hand, smearing saliva along the butler's jaw before sitting back on his knees again. With nothing to mute the sounds that spilled from his lips, Barbatos pressed a hand over his mouth.

"No," Simeon said, grabbing the demon's wrist. "Let me hear you."

"Mmh— as you wish— aah—"

His toes were curling, heels pressing into Simeon's lower back as he arched and writhed beneath the man's touch. Simeon's length rested against his inner thigh, finding friction as the former angel rolled his hips. Damp precum kissed the skin were the tip pressed against the demon's leg. Simeon released Barbatos's cock and grasped his own again, eyes scanning over the lewd image before him as he began to pump himself slowly. With his free hand, he pressed one of the demon's legs further away from the other and his gaze was drawn to the space between them. He swallowed thickly.

"Barb . . . I want . . ."

He hesitated, glancing away with a small frown, but Barbatos understood the intent behind the position they were in. The demon watched him a moment longer before reacting. Barbatos raised himself onto his elbows, this time without resistance.

"Simeon," he managed, regaining some composure. "Tell me what you want."

A shiver rushed through Simeon and he tightened his hand around the head of his cock. Barbatos kept his legs spread the way the other man had positioned them. He could not resist the urge to lift his hips, disregarding the way it made his face burn with shame. He reached between his own legs to cup his balls, gently pulling them forward so that his taint met the base of Simeon's shaft. He grinded there, an explicit offering that made Simeon jolt. Simeon leaned into the gyration, encouraging the demon to give himself over.

"Ah— y-you! I want you, Barb, I— fuck— I want to be inside you!"

The declaration made the demon moan. Simeon grabbed his hips, lifting the demon's pelvis so that they could better grind on each other. Barbatos gasped when his tight hole met the smooth heat of Simeon's shaft. The new angle forced his shoulders back down to the mattress.

"S-Simeon, yes— hah . . . Please, I want you inside me."

"I need it—oh, ah—"

Barbatos clung to a shred of composure and pinned Simeon's hands where they grasped his hips. He forced their rocking motions to pause, but neither of them pulled away.

"Simeon, do you want that? Truly?" he gritted.

The former angel bit his lip and squeezed his eyes shut.

"I do . . . But I don't have what we'd need to do it comfortably . . ."

Ah, he has also realised our present limitations.

A frustrated puff of air left the butler. His desire to have Simeon filling him was overwhelming, but it seemed they both understood that certain conditions could not be met.

Unless . . .

"I may be in possession of what we will need," Barbatos said. "Are you certain you would like to continue in that direction?"

Simeon moaned and rolled his hips again, grazing himself between the butler's legs in a way that was barely restrained.

"Yes!"

The demon lay his head back on the pillow and closed his eyes for a moment. He visualised his own room at the beach house, the positioning of the bed and the nightstand. He inhaled slowly, forcing the sensations of rampant desire out of his mind for a moment.

I left my DDD plugged in to the charger on the bedside table to the right of the bed. Asmodeus left certain supplies there . . . The lubricant was in a bottle almost as tall as the lamp, and that was further back than the phone. Then the condoms . . . They were closest to the bed, further forward than the phone.

Barbatos exhaled slowly and opened his eyes. He pushed himself up on his elbows and twisted his body to the right, envisioning the small surface beside his bed as he traced a square through the air with the tip of his finger. He channelled Infernal energy into that digit as he moved and when the shape was complete, the outline hung in the air before him. He waved his hand across the surface, which caused it to ripple and distort. Another breath and he could see the items he required on the other side. He plucked the lube and a sheet of condoms from the bedside table in his room and pulled his hand back through the portal. Another breath and the small portal vanished.

He turned back to Simeon. The former angel's face was flushed and one eyebrow was raised in confusion.

"Asmodeus," the demon said by way of explanation.

Simeon's confusion disappeared and he laughed gently.

"How very kind of him," he grinned.

Then his expression became shy. He sat back on his knees, glancing awkwardly at a blank space on the mattress.

"Is this really okay?" he asked.

Barbatos let the sheet of condoms drop to the bedding beneath him and sat up properly. His legs still caged Simeon as he reached his free hand forward and took the other man's face.

"If it is what you want, then it is what I want," he said.

He pressed his mouth hotly to Simeon's. They began to kiss anew, their tongues meeting.

"I want this. I want you. I need you," Simeon breathed.

He grasped the bottle of lubricant with Barbatos.

"Then, if you would, please, fuck me."

Notes:

Sorry for splitting the smut scene again but it was. Very long. You'll get the other half in a few days 😘

In the meantime, ARE YOU ENJOYING IT?! Please leave a comment, I love reading them.

And FYI I have finished the first draft of the last chapter of this fic! Now that I've split this smut scene across two chapters, it looks like we will end up with 47 chapter as long as I don't accidentally add heaps when I edit the rest . . . which is probably more likely than you think! We shall see how it goes. I'm hella keen!

Chapter 41

Notes:

The smut continues. This chapter is, once again, very NSFW.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

The scent of bubble gum immediately filled their lungs when Barbatos flicked open the cap of the lube bottle. The scent was pleasantly subtle, but undeniably there. The sides of the bottle flexed when Simeon squeezed his hand over Barbatos's, forcing the liquid to overflow and trickle down to their fingers. Simeon raised his hand to his lips and let his tongue collect the substance.

"Trust Asmodeus to gift such luxurious supplies," he chuckled. "Here, taste it."

He offered a sticky finger to the butler, who flushed as he leaned forward to accept the offer. Simeon's digit glided against his tongue. The flavour was rich and heavy in his mouth. The note of bubble gum was there, but there was something floral to the flavour too. It felt like liquid velvet over his tongue. The more Barbatos tasted, the more of the scent he breathed, the hotter his blood became.

This is more than a mere scented lubricant . . .

A quick glance at the ingredients list confirmed his suspicion. He pulled his mouth off Simeon's digit with a quiet hum.

"It seems to contain a small quantity of an aphrodisiac flower's nectar," he explained. "I have seen this used in cooking before, and in potions. However, such a small amount diluted in this bottle will only leave us marginally affected."

He shuddered with pleasure, dick twitching as his body reacted to the pleasant burn in his veins. It was a mild biological response, but he knew it would heighten the pleasure they were about to share.

"I think I understand what you mean," Simeon breathed. "I already need you urgently, but I feel even more desperate now."

Barbatos smirked as he appraised the former angel kneeling between his legs. His gaze travelled down to where the man's cock stood erect against his stomach. He watched the way it jumped against his abdomen when the demon reached forward and stroked his fingers down the underside.

"You are leaking quite significantly," he commented, watching precum weep from the slit in a fresh trickle.

Simeon groaned and then gently smacked the demon's hand away.

"Lay back," he commanded, pressing Barbatos down by the chest again.

Allowing Simeon to take the bottle of lubricant from his grip, Barbatos reclined on the bed. Simeon shuffled back enough to look between their bodies. He positioned himself with a view of the tight ring of Barbatos's ass and ghosted fingertips down the inside of the butler's thighs. The skin raised with goosebumps. He brought his fingertips right to the swell of the demon's cheeks, where they connected with his legs.

Barbatos held his breath, embarrassment reddening his face when Simeon's fingers grazed over his puckered entrance and caused the muscles to clench. He gasped as lube dribbled against his taint and trickled over his exposed anus. Simeon gently massages the clear liquid over the area, his digits gliding with no resistance as they passed over his hole again and again.

"Do you enjoy that?" Simeon asked, his voice just as smooth as the movement of his lubricated digits.

The butler swallowed and managed a choked "yes" as he attempted to keep quiet. Barbatos bit his lip and tensed his core to stop himself from shaking, but his efforts were in vain. The sensation of Simeon's touch made him moan lowly. His cock twitched against his stomach as a bead of precum formed at his tip. Encouraged by the display, Simeon pressed his middle finger to the demon's hole. The lube coating the digit helped him breach Barbatos's entrance with little resistance and the intrusion dragged another moan from the butler.

"Yesss . . ." Barbatos hissed.

Simeon exhaled a ragged breath as his first knuckle disappeared inside Barbatos. He paused to drip more lubricant from the bottle, then began to shallowly move the digit back and forth. Barbatos blunt fingernails clawed at the sheets.

"Is this okay?" Simeon checked.

"Yes. Please, continue."

The assurance was forthcoming and filled with need. Simeon began to work his finger in careful up and down motions, pressing gently on the demon's anal walls to coax the muscles to relax. He dripped more lube against Barbatos's ass before pushing his finger deeper inside.

The butler focused on relaxing the tight muscles as his body grew accustomed to the slender finger inside him. His cock leaked enough precum that the beads of sticky moisture dripped against his abdomen. Simeon removed his finger and applied another squirt of lubricant. The scent remained subtle, but both men could sense the way the hint of aphrodisiac heightened their desires and the responses their bodies experienced.

Barbatos exhaled slowly as a second digit was eased into him alongside the first. He rocked his hips in a slow rhythm that matched the gentle motions of Simeon's hand, relaxing his core to coax the former angel's digits deeper.

Simeon eased his fingers further into the demon's hole until the two digits were buried. He whined quietly at the sight, at the sound of Barbatos's shivering breaths, and the sensation of the muscles that squeezed around his fingers. The lubricant had made the demon's insides slick. The pads of Simeon's fingers glided over his prostate when he flexed the digits, and Barbatos clenched around him with a moan. The sound left Simeon's cock throbbing with need. He tried not to allow his movements to become hurried, but the way Barbatos looked left his body screaming with lust. He worked his fingers a little faster, brushing the sensitive depths of the demon's core again and marvelling at the way it made Barbatos's dick twitch.

With a feathery touch, Simeon's other hand brushed over the demon's weeping erection from root to tip, where he swiped at the freshest beads of precum leaking from the man's slit. He brought his fingers to his lips and pressed them to his tongue with a hum.

Barbatos watched with hooded eyes as the former angel savoured the taste of his sinful need. The demon reached for his own cock, providing light squeezes and licks of friction in anticipation for what was to come. Simeon mirrored the action, grasping himself again as he carefully removed his fingers from the butler's entrance.

"Barb . . ." His voice was hoarse. "I need you now."

The demon grabbed the sheet of condoms he had dropped to the mattress and tore one away. He held one corner of the wrapper between his teeth and pulled it across his mouth to open the packaging as he sat upright again. He was face to face with Simeon, both men panting with need as Barbatos slipped the condom out of the wrapper. Simeon's face drew closer. He grabbed the demon's wrist with one hand and guided him to roll the condom over his length. Their eyes remained locked as Barbatos dragged his hand down Simeon's cock, unfurling the thin protective barrier.

Simeon's breath fell onto his mouth. With the condom in place, Barbatos closed the space between them and shut his eyes. Shyness had crept its way back into Simeon's demeanour. The demon gripped his cock and carefully provided friction, making sure the condom remained in place as they kissed.

"I haven't done this before," Simeon confessed, murmuring against the demon's lips.

Barbatos opened his eyes to regard the former angel. Simeon could not meet his gaze.

"You're a virgin?"

"No, no," Simeon amended quickly. "I've just never done it . . . This way around before."

Simeon's face was red as he made this admission.

Stars he is beautiful. I need him. Oh, how I need him to fill me right now.

He kissed the corner of Simeon's mouth, then pressed his lips to his ear.

"Would you like to stop?" he forced himself to ask.

Please, do not stop.

"No, I really don't want to stop," Simeon said, laughing nervously. "I suppose I'm just worried that I'll do it wrong."

The demon's stomach dropped with relief. He squeezed his hand gently around Simeon's length, teasing the place where the head connected to the shaft through the thin film of the condom.

"You won't," Barbatos whispered. His tongue grazed Simeon's ear. "You have done everything right thus far. You have prepared me well and we have the items we need to ensure we both enjoy ourselves."

The demon grasped the bottle of lubricant with his free hand. He tipped it over Simeon's length and felt the wet drops pour over his fingers and the condom. He gripped Simeon lightly, spreading the lube as he stroked. Simeon's hands tightened at his hips, making Barbatos gasp. The demon drew back to meet his gaze. He lowered himself backwards without releasing Simeon's cock. Reclined once more, he watched Simeon's face while he positioned his tip at his entrance. The head of the former angel's penis prodded at his hole, and both men gasped.

"Simeon . . . Allow me to feel you inside me."

He rolled his hips in invitation. Simeon shuffled on his knees for a moment, pressing his palms to the inside of Barbatos's thighs to spread his legs wide and push his knees up towards his chest. Then he was pushing forward.

They drew a sharp breath in unison as Simeon breached the tight ring of the demon's ass. Simeon paused for only a moment, then inched deeper, gently rolling his hips as Barbatos's hole stretched to accommodate him. He doubled forward, head bowed against the demon's chest as he braced his hands against the mattress.

"Fuck!" he wheezed. "Oh stars, Barb, you feel so good."

Barbatos sighed loudly, wrapping his legs around the former angel to encourage him deeper.

"Nng— you feel— ah— wonderful—"

They clutched each other as Simeon bottomed out, groaning with pleasure against the demon's collarbone. Barbatos savoured the feeling, head tilted back as they both just breathed. He felt so full. His hole twitched around the length buried inside him, eager to have friction. Between their warm bodies, his cock throbbed against his stomach. A small pool of precum was stickily smeared across his abdomen with fresh droplets forming quickly at his slit.

"You're so tight," Simeon moaned, shifting to look at Barbatos's face.

His hips bucked involuntarily, nudging his cock against Barbatos's prostate. A chain reaction began. The jolt of pleasure made the demon clench and roll his hips in turn, giving Simeon delicious friction. The former angel rutted again. The demon canted beneath him. Pleasure rushed through them, addictive and attainable. Simeon drew himself halfway out and then thrusted back inside to the hilt. The plap of their hips meeting joined their gasps and moans.

Barbatos clung to him. The bliss was fast becoming overwhelming as the penetration stimulated his most sensitive depths. His blunt fingernails dragged down the back of Simeon's shoulders and traced his spine. His heels dug into the dimples at the base of the former angel's back when Simeon's back arched. The demon's eyes were watering, and each breath he drew into his lungs was squeezed out again from the way his body tensed.

Simeon's face was warm at the crook of his neck. He moaned next to Barbatos's ear. It sent shivers racing down the demon's spine. Their rhythm quickened, clutching, clinging, holding, close. Each lungful was permeated with the scent of the lubricant and their arousal and their skin, the notes mingling and urging them on. The aphrodisiac heightened everything and amplified every ounce of their urgency.

Barbatos's cock throbbed hard. A spurt of precum spat across his stomach. He needed more. His body screamed for it. He dropped a hand from Simeon's back and reached between them to grasp himself. The relief was immediate. A long moan left him as he began to stroke at himself, his wrist moving in time with the way Simeon was gently fucking him. The former angel pushed up onto his knees, hips faltering only for a moment before he regained his rhythm at the new angle, looking down over the demon's prone body.

"Aah— Nnngh—You look so hot like this— hah— look at how well you take me— Ngh— oh fuck—"

The praise beckoned the demon to continue. He gripped himself tighter, drawing his knees close against Simeon's ribs to keep his legs around the other man. Their bodies moved together seamlessly, each thrust smooth and gratifying. They were rushing towards a peak, the pressure building low in their guts as their pace quickened. Barbatos's eyes rolled back when Simeon's cock hit his prostate again.

"Simeon, d-don't stop," he huffed, barely able to speak. "I'm close. I'm so close."

"Yes!" Simeon practically sobbed. "Barb, you feel so good around me. Hah aah— I want to see you cum."

Simeon thrusted deep, grinding his tip against Barbatos's prostate as the demon's legs twitched around his waist. He could feel the butler clenching harder, growing tighter, dragging him closer to the edge. He watched Barbatos arch his back away from the bed with a lewd cry.

"Right there, right there!" the butler rasped. "Simeon, I'm cumming!"

His eyes were wet as he threw his head back, the tightness in his balls rushing him to his peak.

"Yes, Barb! I'm right there with you!"

Their hips stuttered. Their movements were frantic as they buckled around each other. Barbatos groaned loudly as he ejaculated, the fluid spurting over his stomach. Simeon's cry found a higher note. His whole body shook as he released inside Barbatos, unable to hold off with the way the demon's body clamped around him. They panted for breath as they clung to each other, relishing the bliss of their shared climax.

Barbatos's blood rushed in his ears. The only sound he could hear was their ragged breathing . . . until the door burst open and Luke's frantic voice broke through the euphoria.

"SIMEON HELP! THERE'S A BIG SPIDER IN MY— WAAAAH!"

Neither of them had a chance to react or even look at Luke before he fled, slamming the door behind him.

Notes:

I guess Simeon forgot to lock the door when he brushed his teeth after that blowjob. Oops~

I hope you enjoyed the smut itself, because they certainly did! Let me know your thoughts in the comments. Thank you for reading!

Chapter 42

Notes:

Heads up for the tiny bit of nsfw at the start and a lot of oof.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

"L-Luke?!" Simeon managed as he sat up on his knees.

The door had already slammed behind the young angel as he scurried away, leaving the pair reeling as their shared high plummeted. Barbatos caught the other man's hips before he could pull out.

"Slowly," the demon warned, taking a deep breath to relax himself after the interruption.

"Right, right."

He could feel Simeon shaking as they separated. His face had become pale. He kept glancing back at the door. Anxiety was clear on his features as he floundered with what to do next. Barbatos's stomach felt heavy as he took stock of the situation.

He is panicked. This is far from how I had hoped our time alone together would conclude. 

Barbatos cupped the other man's face to capture his attention and spoke evenly but firmly.

"Simeon, we need to get dressed so that we can make sure Luke is okay."

The former angel seemed to take a moment to process the demon's words, but after a moment he managed to nod. Barbatos moved off the bed and collected his sleepwear from the floor while Simeon dealt with the condom.

"Um . . . D-do we have something to clean up with?" Simeon asked, looking around.

"The bedding," Barbatos said, despite himself. "I shall change the sheets later. Here, your clothes."

The demon plucked some fresh articles from the open suitcase on Simeon's dresser and brought them over to the bed. They cleaned the excess lubricant and sexual fluids from themselves and Barbatos quickly donned his clothes. He felt underdressed in his pyjamas. Simeon was still fumbling with his belt buckle and hadn't pulled a shirt on yet. His back was turned to the demon and that made Barbatos's heart stick to his throat.

He is upset. It is understandable. Perhaps a moment to himself will be best.

"I shall return shortly. It would be more appropriate if I were dressed in something more than pyjamas before we speak to Luke."

"Right. Sure."

Simeon's voice was strained and his words were clipped. A heavy sense of foreboding built in the demon's gut. Barbatos swallowed and left the room.

It was early enough that some of the other beach house guests were still asleep, but groggy voices drifted into the entrance hall from the casual dining area where everybody tended to congregate at the start of each day. In particular, he could hear Satan animatedly explaining the premise of a newly released novel to a captivated Lord Diavolo. The Young Master's booming laughter almost made Barbatos jump as he opened the door the slightest crack to check if Luke was with them. Alas, the young angel was not there.

Barbatos slunk the rest of the way back to his own room and changed into fresh clothes within seconds. He glanced at the time, then peeked at the timeline to see how long he could put off preparing breakfast without raising suspicions.

Beelzebub will return from his morning jog in seventeen minutes and twelve seconds. There is a high chance of a hunger tantrum if breakfast has not been served within fifteen minutes of his arrival.

He was making a beeline back towards Simeon's room when Lord Diavolo emerged from the casual dining area. The Young Master cut him off in the entrance hall with an unusually neutral expression and a raised brow.

"My Lord," Barbatos greeted, halting as he took in the unreadable body language.

"A certain Avatar of Greed had exceptionally good luck with bets he placed on the shadow races yesterday afternoon. You wouldn't happen to know anything about that, would you, Barbatos?"

Barbatos blinked back his surprise at being caught out. 

"What has Mammon advised you?"

How long will I torture him for when this vacation is over?

The Young Master gave a nonchalant shrug.

"Nothing, yet. But he was in such high spirits yesterday afternoon, and when Lucifer asked him about it, his answer was something to the effect of—" At this point, Lord Diavolo cleared his throat and mimicked the Avatar of Greed's vernacular. "—I ain't in a good mood, and I sure as hell didn't win a bunch of shadow racin' bets thanks to a deal Barbatos cut with me! Yer just imaginin' things! Ahaha, that was a pretty good impression, wasn't it?"

That fool . . . At least he did not divulge the details of our deal. I shall let him off with one hundred years of torture. I shall send him an invitation to the Demon Lord's Castle once we return to the city.

Lord Diavolo only remained distracted by his impersonation for a moment before his expression turned serious again.

"I trust that I do not have to remind you, my own butler with unwavering loyalty, that you are strictly prohibited from using your powers of foresight as you please. Would you care to explain yourself?"

It was abundantly clear that Lord Diavolo was speaking to him not as a cherished friend, but as the crown Prince of the Devildom and future Demon King. Undertones of commanding authority inflected his words. However, Barbatos noticed the slight pout that betrayed his master.

He does not believe that I have deliberately disobeyed him, but he does not understand my reasons and that makes him cautious. I should expect no less from my future king. I must reassure him of my loyalty . . . Curses. How do I explain this without breaking confidence with Simeon? 

Barbatos bowed his head for a moment, then looked his master in the eye. He stepped closer and lay a bare hand on the Young Lord's crossed arms.

"Young Master, you allow me to make use of my powers in order to serve you, and by extension, your guests. Although the arrangement I made with Mammon yesterday was indeed unorthodox, I promise you that it was within the limitations you set out for me. I regret that I cannot give you all of the information you seek just now. I ask that you trust that I was merely acting in service to one of your guests."

"I assume you mean Simeon," Lord Diavolo stated, jutting his chin. "I have no problem with the two of you sneaking away to spend time alone together, but that is not a sufficient reason for you to use your powers."

He frowned hard at Barbatos, the gold of his eyes shimmering with Infernal magic. The presence of it trickled up the butler's spine. Barbatos felt his own dark soul become exposed beneath the prince's scrutiny. He breathed through it for a moment, allowed himself to be seen by his master, showed the future king that he had nothing to hide.

"I am not attempting to deceive you, Lord Diavolo," he said after a few moments. "This is not a matter of the . . . private relationship between myself and Simeon. There is personal information I have been made aware of in confidence. My Lord, please, I humbly ask that you refrain from ordering me to break his trust."

The tension remained a moment longer before the prince blinked and his magic dissipated. His expression became less guarded, showing instead that he was concerned. The butler bowed his head.

"I can see that you are not lying to me. Very well, I will trust you, Barbatos." He hesitated before he asked, "Is Simeon alright?"

Barbatos raised his face again. It was a heavy question. Lucifer had suggested that he felt himself and Diavolo to be ill-placed to check on Simeon after the disastrous game of spin the bottle, but they had no inkling of what more troubled their friend.

For now, I can allow Lord Diavolo to believe that the wretched game is the crux of the matter.

"He will be," Barbatos said, resolute. "I must return to him now."

The Young Master's expression changed immediately. His lips curled into a smug smile. He gave the butler a sly look.

"I'll take that to mean that you and Simeon slept together last night," he smirked, tapping a finger to the side of his neck with a suggestive wiggle of his eyebrows. "It's not like you to let a lover mark you somewhere so visible, Barbatos. You really enjoyed yourself, didn't you?"

"I—"

The butler's face flushed red. His hands flew to the exposed skin above his collar. He quickly set about fastening the topmost button of his chosen blouse, mortified.

I forgot about the hickeys in my rush to get dressed.

Lord Diavolo laughed heartily at him, which eased his embarrassment exactly none.

"There's no need to hide them, Barbatos! I'm sure Asmodeus will be proud."

He groaned inwardly, remembering that the Avatar of Lust had already accosted him the previous night and would likely notice that there were more hickeys than before if Barbatos did not cover his neck adequately. He forced those concerns away. He had more pressing matters to attend to.

Beelzebub will return in eleven minutes and three seconds . . . I need to get back to Simeon and help him find Luke while there is still time.

Barbatos cleared his throat as he smoothed down his collar and levelled his master and friend with a smirk of his own. He stepped closer and spoke lowly into the Young Lord's ear.

"I am certain that your Daddy gave you plenty of marks to match."

The prince baulked with surprise and then burst into full-bellied laughter. His cheeks became a satisfying shade of burgundy.

"When did you hear me call Lucifer that?!"

The butler side-stepped his liege with a playful bow.

"I wonder," he said cryptically. "I shall prepare breakfast shortly."

Lord Diavolo cackled loud enough that he probably could have woken Belphegor. He returned to the casual dining area while Barbatos hastened back to Simeon's room. He paused outside the door, gripping the handle. He knocked gently and opened the door slowly.

"Simeon? I have returned."

He stepped into the room with caution, spotting the former angel seated on the floor with his back against the side of the bed. Simeon drew a sharp breath and dashed his sleeves under his eyes with a sniff. The playful spark Barbatos had felt a moment earlier with Lord Diavolo went cold. He shut the door.

"I see you are dressed," he said. "Are you ready?"

"I have failed him again," Simeon said without looking up. "He doesn't even know how I have failed him already, and now he's seen . . ." He hissed out a breath and buried his face in his hands. "He shall hate me. He is already going to hate me when he finds out I'm not an angel anymore, but at least I could put that off. But now—"

The demon's blood went cold at that notion. He shook his head firmly as he crossed the room and knelt beside Simeon.

"I do not believe that is the case, Simeon. Luke adores you with all his heart. He could never hate you. Not for having your angel's blessing revoked, nor for what he walked in on this morning." He took Simeon's wrists into a soft hold and tried to coax his hands away from his face. "The way he discovered us this morning was undoubtedly confronting for him, but that is why we need to speak to him about what he saw."

"And tell him what?!" Simeon snapped.

He wrenched his forearms out of Barbatos's grasp. The demon's eyes widened with shock.

"Simeon—"

"What are we doing, Barb? This all happened so fast last night. I don't know what we are! What are we?!"

The sense of foreboding in the demon's stomach swelled with the raising of Simeon's voice and the frantic look in his eyes. He swallowed down the sickly feeling it created in his throat.

"What do you want to be?"

He kept his voice quiet and even in the hopes that it would pull Simeon out of his panic.

"I don't know! We slept together and I . . . I think I'm in love with you."

Barbatos could have sworn that his heart stopped for a moment. A warm tingle rose to his cheeks.

In love with me? 

The idea made him feel featherlight. For the briefest moment, the daunting task of speaking to Luke about walking in on them was forgotten.

"But what if I only think that because spending time with you was the first thing to make me feel happy in months?" Simeon asked, his voice cracking.

Just as quickly as his elation had risen, those words crushed the feeling. It felt like a rejection. He was shaken by the way it stung. Barbatos set his face into a neutral expression to hide his disappointment. He attempted to rationalise the situation.

It is far too soon for either of us to feel such things with certainty. Especially considering what Simeon has been dealing with.

His knuckles had clenched over the tops of his knees without his notice. He took a deep breath and focused on relaxing them.

"Then we be honest with Luke," he said calmly. "This is new for us and we are still figuring out what it is we want. It is okay for us to not yet know what we are. There will be time for us to talk about it afterwards."

Barbatos rose to his feet and offered Simeon his hand to help him up.

"For now, the most important thing is that we ensure Luke is alright."

Notes:

Like I said, a lot of oof. Let me know what you think of this chapter!

Chapter 43

Notes:

Content warning: Spider.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

They checked Luke's bedroom first, but the young angel was not there. The sound of heavy rain beat through the open window and filled their lungs with the fresh scent of wet soil.

The temperature has certainly dropped. Perhaps Luke awoke early because of the chill.

A spider clung to the ceiling over the bed. It was easily the size of Beelzebub's hand. Its exoskeleton was inky black with a frost-blue sheen over its back. Rings of the same colour decorated the joints of its legs.

An exquisite specimen, the butler thought. But certainly not something you wish to find above your bed upon waking.

"That must have given him a terrible fight when he woke up," Simeon winced.

The frost-blue colouring turned a fiery red at the sound of Simeon's voice as the pair stepped into the room. The spider dropped its forebody into a threatening stance, making itself appear larger as the door closed behind them.

"Is it venomous?"

"Incredibly," Barbatos confirmed. "This is a fire-frost widow. They get their name firstly from their changing colouration, and secondly from the sensation of their deadly bite."

Barbatos kept his eye on the spider as he approached Luke's bed. He had never been afraid of spiders—that level of aversion was reserved for rats. When it came to spiders, he felt rather a kinship with them. They were simultaneously beautiful and hideous no matter how closely he looked at them. Most spiders in the Devildom were venomous, but in comparison to a demon they were so small. Their toxic little fangs were their only true weapon against larger predators and prey.

The fire-frost widow remained on guard as Barbatos stepped up onto Luke's bed and drew up to his full height. She watched him with her eight beady little eyes and rattled when he raised both hands.

The dark aura of Infernal magic gathered around the demon. He concentrated that energy into his palms as he reached for her. She launched herself at the threat, but it was in vain; she was dead the moment she unlatched from the ceiling. Her limp exoskeleton crumpled into his palms.

"Were you sheltering from the weather?" he asked the dead spider as he stepped off the bed. "My apologies. Though I am sure my dear friend Solomon will find a use for your remains."

Solomon would no doubt milk her venom and grind her exoskeleton to dust to study and for use in some of his more . . . experimental potions. The spider's corpse vanished from his hand with another ripple of Infernal magic. Barbatos stopped in front of Simeon. The former angel leaned back against the door as he considered the demon.

"I don't think I would have felt safe to handle that without my angel's blessing protecting me. I'm glad you were here . . . Thank you."

The demon smiled tightly at him and bowed his head in acceptance.

"I'm sorry," Simeon continued.

Barbatos gave him a questioning look.

"About what I said before." Simeon looked down at the floor between them. "You didn't want me to see how much it hurt you. But I realised as soon as you began masking again. I shouldn't have said that. It was unkind."

The pang of hurt echoed in the butler's chest. He sighed, shaking his head.

"You were being honest. It stung, yes, but I understand that was not your intent."

"Even so, I'm sorry," he repeated.

Barbatos cupped his face and made Simeon meet his gaze.

"We said we would go for a drive this afternoon to talk about where we stand with each other. Would you still like to do that?"

The former angel nodded.

"Then we shall. Now, let us focus on finding Luke."

He tugged Simeon away from the door and pulled it open. Stepping into the hallway, he saw Solomon's bedroom door was open and the space was vacant.

He must have gotten up while we were in Luke's room.

As he passed the door, he spied the dead spider on the sorcerer's dresser. He could already imagine the look of intrigue on the human's face when he next returned to the room. He continued towards the entrance hall. It sounded like the others were all gathered in the casual dining area now. Beelzebub's voice could be heard, bemoaning that he was hungry.

I'm out of time. If I don't get food to him shortly, he'll be on a rampage.

Simeon's hand grasped his shoulder, prompting him to turn around. The former angel sent a look of concern to the door to the casual dining room.

"I should let you get on with making breakfast before Beelzebub has a tantrum," he said. "What you said before, about being honest with Luke. I think you're right. I'm going to find him and talk to him about what just happened."

The demon frowned.

"Are you certain you do not want me to help you find him?"

Simeon nodded, looking sheepish.

"I was panicking earlier, but I think I'm okay now. I've been Luke's guardian since the Celestial Father finished creating him. I should be able to handle this. Besides—" A blush rose in his cheeks and he looked away, the shy smile that made the demon's stomach flip-flop creeping to his lips. "I'm sure Beelzebub isn't the only one who will notice if you haven't made breakfast soon. I think I'd rather not draw attention if we can avoid it."

Barbatos smiled wryly.

I have not felt such a vast range of emotions in such quick succession in a long time. This man is going to be the death of me.

"Very well. I shall save you and Luke a plate."

He turned and entered the casual dining room with his focus on his new goal: breakfast.

"Barbatos!" Beelzebub roared with excitement, his eyes lighting up.

The mountain of a demon was still in his running shorts and tank top, but had discarded his shoes and socks. Rainwater dripped from his clothes and his hair, which was plastered around his face. A towel was draped over his shoulders, though it did little to prevent the small puddles forming on the floor. Barbatos ignored the watery mess despite every fibre in his being screaming for him to clean it up.

"Did you oversleep?" Belphegor yawned, legs dangling over the armrest of the couch as he lay across the cushions.

"My apologies for the wait," the butler replied. "Breakfast will be served in five minutes."

He entered the kitchen without pause and got to work. Usually, he preferred to savour the process of food preparation, but he could hear Beelzebub's stomach grumbling in the next room.

The jaffles will have to wait until tomorrow morning.

Shifting into his demon form, Barbatos used his tail to light the stove. He pre-heated a large pan as he cracked eggs into a bowl and whisked them together with seasoning. He chopped onions, his knife moving faster than a human eye could track, but with expert precision. He scraped them into the pan to soften and used the broiler to prepare as much toast as he could at once. He stirred the onions with his tail while he began preparing everybody's preferred coffee and tea beverages, pausing only to pour the egg mixture into the pan and adjust the heat. He gave the eggs a minute to set while he finished the coffees and shredded some scallions. It was a simple breakfast, but with his speed and expertise, it was something he could make quickly and in a large quantity for the guests in his care and his Young Lord. He stirred the eggs with his tail around a wooden spoon and flipped the slices of toast beneath the broiler to brown the other side.

As he carried the scrambled eggs out in a large serving bowl, balanced enough plates for everyone, and brought the toast through stacked high on a tray on his tail, he was filled with pride at his skills as a butler.

All with thirty seconds to spare.

When Barbatos returned with everybody's drinks, Beelzebub had already tucked into a substantial amount of the breakfast, guzzling it down while the others made haste to grab some while they could.

"I shall prepare a second helping. You needn't worry about going hungry," he assured them.

There was still no sign of Simeon or Luke when he emerged from the kitchen with more scrambled eggs and toast. He had already set aside a plate for each of them in the kitchen, not wanting to draw attention to their absence.

Barbatos sat in the armchair to fill the space more evenly around the low coffee table, keeping quiet so that he would not be drawn into the morning chatter and squabbling. Solomon and Asmodeus were sitting together again. Barbatos was too anxious to eat, but the normalcy of seeing them together filled him with some relief. He caught Asmodeus smirking his way.

He has no doubt noticed that there are more hickeys on my neck than there were last night . . .

To his relief, the Avatar of Lust held his tongue. As did Lord Diavolo, who shot him a sly look from Lucifer's side.

His hand flew to his D.D.D. when it vibrated in his pocket. Foreboding filled him when he read the message from Simeon.

Simeon: I can't find Luke anywhere. He's not in the house. I don't know what to do . . .

Barbatos: He has not arrived for breakfast. Meet in the entrance hall. I shall help you look for him.

The butler rose wordlessly from his seat and finished his coffee. Lord Diavolo gave him an inquisitive look as he slipped out, which Barbatos returned with a wink.

I apologise for the deception, My Lord. But I do not wish to raise the alarm just yet.

Simeon was pacing in front of the mural restoration, fidgeting with the cuffs of his sleeves.

"I looked everywhere," he hissed once the door was closed behind the demon. "I even checked in other's rooms."

Barbatos frowned and tapped his chin.

"We should check outside. The verandah goes right around the house. Could he have gotten onto the roof?"

"I doubt it. His wings haven't grown in enough to grant him flight. He would have had to climb up and I don't think he'd be tall enough. Besides, it would be too dangerous in this weather."

The rain had not let up. As if on cue, a rumble of thunder rolled across the sky. Barbatos had never been unsettled by a storm, but the sound filled his stomach with dread.

They searched around the verandah discreetly, keeping away from the windows of the casual dining room. Luke was nowhere to be found. The panic was rising in Simeon's face as Barbatos pulled him back inside. The pair returned to Luke's vacant room and closed the door just as the others began to leave the casual dining area and mill about.

"He's run away . . ." Simeon said, his voice hollow. "He has actually run away."

Barbatos crossed the room and looked out the window. The sky was dark and the wind was picking up with severe squalls. There was no sign of the clouds clearing any time soon. The storm had scarcely begun.

"I loath to say it, but I feel we must ask for help from the others."

Simeon bit his lip.

"I know you're right, but I don't want to throw everyone into a frenzy. Some people will be more helpful than others . . ."

"Indeed. Perhaps we should start with just one person."

The former angel hesitated for a moment before nodding.

"Who should we ask?"

Two sets of footsteps entered the hallway and moved into Solomon's room next door, causing the demon and former angel to hush for a moment. Simeon opened his mouth to whisper, but before he could speak, the sound of Asmodeus shrieking in horror cut him off.

"SOLLY, KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT!!!!"

Barbatos pressed his lips together. He wanted to laugh.

"I think Asmodeus may have found the spider I left for Solomon."

"EW EW EW EW EW!!!!!"

Simeon sighed.

"I am still upset with him, but if I'm being totally honest . . . I think I am still more comfortable asking for Solomon's help than asking for anyone else's, at least for this matter."

Asmodeus could be heard running away from Solomon's room, sobbing about how hideous the spider was and how he needed to take a shower to cleanse himself of its image.

Barbatos nodded in acceptance of Simeon's words.

"He is generally reliable when he needs to be. And he cares very much for Luke. Come, let's speak to him."

Notes:

I literally manifested a big spider irl by writing this chapter. I finished the first draft at 6am, walked into my bathroom and saw a massive net-weaver sitting in the window. It was very upsetting.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Thank you for reading!

Chapter 44

Notes:

Content warning: This chapter includes Luke being in danger, which may be distressing. Reader discretion is advised.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

"So, to summarise, Luke walked in on the two of you fucking and has run off somewhere in this storm."

They were standing in Solomon's room with the door shut. Barbatos and Simeon were both red-faced from explaining the situation, and the sorcerer was pinching the bridge of his nose. The dead spider that had sent Asmodeus running was curled up on its back in his upturned hand.

"W-well, we had just finished, actually," Simeon amended, weakly.

"You were still inside him."

Simeon placed his head in his hands. Barbatos cleared his throat, drawing Solomon’s attention away from the other man.

"The point remains that Luke walked in on something rather confronting and cannot be found at the house," Barbatos stated.

Solomon took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. Barbatos resisted to urge to scowl.

I have no patience for his jealousy in this instance.

"Will you help us find him?"

Barbatos crossed his arms and jutted his chin out as he met the sorcerer's eyes.

"Of course I will!" Solomon snapped.

Straightening up, he looked between his ex-lover and his dormmate with a cold expression that crumbled into something melancholy before he turned away. He busied himself for a moment, locating a jar for the arachnid specimen. Barbatos glanced towards Simeon in the tense silence that hung over them all, but the other man’s face was still in his hands. He was taking slow and deep breaths, attempting to regain his composure without drawing attention to how lost it was to him. Solomon broke the silence with his back still to them both.

"If he isn't in the house, and he left before breakfast, he could have covered quite a bit of ground," he mused aloud. "Though the storm may have hindered him. He may be hiding somewhere he could take shelter."

"We are a long way from the township by foot. He would still be on the road if he went in that direction," Barbatos added.

Solomon shook his head.

"Beelzebub would have seen him on his run if he went out to the road. But the forest separating the house from the road could have given him shelter. He could still be in the trees, assuming he went that way."

"The other option is the beach," Simeon said, raising his head. "But there is no shelter once you're down on the sand."

His voice quavered. He crossed his arms over his chest, as if doing so would protect him from his shame, or hide it, or hold it in and prevent it from spilling out of him. Solomon may have been his first choice to go to for help, but the mortification was still immense. But Simeon was no fool. Nor was Barbatos. They required assistance if they were to find Luke with any amount of haste.

"We should search both locations," Barbatos said.

"Let's split up. Barbatos, scout the forest. Simeon and I can search from the air around the beach."

Simeon and Barbatos exchanged a look of concern at Solomon's suggestion. Simeon looked fearful. He fumbled for a way to divert the suggestion, but the anxious glance he cast to the butler suggested that he was drawing a blank.  

"Oh, actually, I— um . . ."

"No," Barbatos cut in, resolute. "It is harder to scout the forest, it will be best if Simeon joins me. One set of aerial eyes will suffice."

Solomon scowled at him and opened his mouth to retort. The demon raised a hand to indicate that he was not finished speaking.

"Besides," Barbatos continued. "I believe Simeon is too distressed by the present situation to be flying. Especially in this weather."

"I agree with Barbatos," Simeon said quickly. "I think it would be best if I stayed with him."

The sorcerer closed his mouth abruptly. He looked between the pair as he made his face expressionless, but Barbatos caught the flicker of sadness that crossed his eyes. The demon anticipated an argument or reprimand, but any such retort died in the sorcerer's throat. Solomon's shoulders slumped.

"If that is what you think is best . . . Well, let's not waste any more time. I'll fly over the beach and see if I can spot anything. The two of you start searching the forest. Keep your D.D.D.s handy. Let's call each other when we find him."

Solomon trained his eyes on the door as he passed them both. He led the way out of the house with Barbatos and Simeon falling into step behind him. His robes became soaked with rainwater as soon as he stepped out from beneath the verandah and descended onto the gravel driveway. The strong winds did their best to rattle the wet material around his figure as light grey hair plastered across his face. An incantation later, Solomon's feet were off the ground. He threw himself high then arced over the house and made for the beach, slowed only by the headwind.

Simeon and Barbatos descended the front steps as he disappeared from view. They were drenched in an instant. Simeon shielded his eyes from the rain with one hand and turned to the demon.

"Thank you . . . for covering for me." He held himself with his other arm. "I don't have my wings anymore but I couldn't tell him that. I didn't know what to say to him."

The butler gave a sad smile and placed a hand on Simeon's arm. A bar of lightning zigzagged its way across the sky over the ocean on the far side of the house. It seemed forever before the rumble of thunder that followed reached their ears.

"Come along," Barbatos prompted. "We have substantial ground to cover. Stick close to me though—this is the Devildom, after all."

Barbatos tugged Simeon's arm away from his chest and grasped his hand. He led the former angel into the tree line, eyes peeled for signs that Luke may have entered the forest. Simeon adjusted their hands so that their fingers were laced as they began weaving between the trunks and scouting the undergrowth. The butler looked back at him. Simeon's hair was plastered around his face. His shirt clung to the shape of his body. The demon swallowed hard as he caught those scared blue eyes. Even in distress, he thought Simeon beautiful.

"We will find him," Barbatos said.

They searched for all of five minutes before Barbatos's D.D.D. rang with a call from Solomon. The demon extracted the phone from a soggy pocket, grateful to himself for renewing the waterproofing spell regularly. He answered the call and hit the speaker button so that Simeon could hear. They still had to strain to hear over the rain, but Simeon's expression was filled with hope.

"You've found him?"

"No," Solomon said. "But I found his footprints on the beach. They stopped at the rockpools, but I don't see him anywhere and the tide is coming in fast."

Simeon carded fingers through wet hair as the possibilities of Luke's whereabouts raced through his mind.

"He could have been swept out to sea by a wave, or . . ."

Simeon's eyes bugged as he looked to Barbatos's face in horror. The demon's blood ran cold as they came to the same realisation.

"The caves."

Time was of the essence. The demon was more certain of that fact than he had ever been before. In the space of a heartbeat, Barbatos ended the call and traced the outline of a portal. He poured Infernal magic into the space before him as he held the image of the rockpools in his mind.

The moment the portal opened, he threw himself into their destination, pulling Simeon after him.

With nothing but a small stretch of sand between where they stood and the open ocean, there was nothing to soften the violent winds or sharp rain that pelted their skin with a force only the Devildom could conjure. Barbatos shielded his eyes from the downpour and spotted Solomon already partway across the rockpools, using a bit of magic in each step to prevent himself from slipping on the wet surfaces. Lightning fractured the sky not far from the shore and the tremor of thunder rumbled in their bones moments later.

Simeon took off ahead of the demon and almost faceplanted into the first rockpool, saved only by the butler's tail wrapping around his middle. Barbatos created a new portal, allowing them to cross the rockpools in an instant. They appeared in front of Solomon as he reached the other side.

"Why didn't you fly across?" Barbatos asked over another crack of thunder.

"Flying is no good in this weather," the sorcerer huffed as he came to a stop. "The winds are too strong. I was almost knocked right down with the first gust once I was over the sand."

Barbatos nodded and scanned the larger rockface that made up the cave. The rock jutted out towards the sea, where he knew the cave entrance was located, easily accessible when the tide was out. But the tide was far from out. Seafoam was projecting itself into the air as waves crashed against the front of the cave. The water was beginning to cover the rockpools. If the tide were out, they could follow the rockpools around to the front of the cave, but as the water raced in their options were limited. Each push of the tide dwindled away at what little time they had left to find Luke. Barbatos assessed their options quickly.

"The tide will submerge the rockpools shortly. The entrance to the cave is already flooding. We should approach from above." 

As he spoke, he climbed up the sloping rocks and turned to offer Simeon a hand up. Solomon projected himself to stand atop the cave with a boost of magic. The trio moved carefully towards the precipice, navigating the slippery rocks that stretched away from the safety of the shore. The foreboding in the demon's chest crested when they reached the edge. It was a metre down to the top of the cave's entrance, and only three feet of the opening remained visible above the waterline. Each wave crested above the entrance with force, shooting sea spray up at them.

"LUKE!" Simeon yelled, going to his hands and knees at the edge. "LUKE, CAN YOU HEAR ME?"

He shouted the question as loud as he could, competing with the roaring water for volume. A flash of light above them warned that the worst of the storm was upon them. The scream of the next thunderclap was deafening.

"Luke! Are you in there?!" Solomon called down as soon as the sound had passed.

He stepped back from the edge as another wave crashed in.

Simeon repeated the young angel's name over the roaring waves and the howling wind, becoming frantic. Barbatos strained his ears. Sea spray spat up at them as they listened for a reply. Simeon shouted again after a wave crashed against the rockface and the current pulled it back out.

"Wait!" Barbatos hushed the other two men. "Listen!"

Simeon and Solomon fell silent. A moment later, they could hear it too—a scared little voice, calling back to them, faint and echoing from below. 

"Help! Help!"

 

Notes:

Who else is very stressed right now? Let me know how you're feeling in the comments.

Chapter 45

Notes:

Content warning: This chapter depicts a child drowning. Reader discretion is advised.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

As soon as they heard Luke's voice call back from within the fast-flooding cave, Simeon launched himself towards the water. Barbatos thanked his good reflexes, buffed by his demonic strength and speed, which allowed him to grab Simeon and hold him down on the wet rocks.

"LET ME GO! I NEED TO SAVE HIM!"

Simeon kicked, but his struggles were futile. Barbatos kept him pinned down and wound his tail around the man's legs to force him to be still.

"Simeon, you cannot!" Barbatos said, grabbing his face. "It is too dangerous."

The former angel was stricken as the demon gave him a firm look. Barbatos did not articulate his concern further, but the look they shared assured him that Simeon understood.

Simeon is mortal right now. He would be killed in an instant if he threw himself down there.

"I shall retrieve Luke," Barbatos declared. "Stay up here with Solomon."

He kept hold of the front of Simeon's shirt until the former angel conceded with a nod. Barbatos snapped his attention to Solomon.

"I will not be able to conjure a portal while I wrestle with the waves, and the tide will make it extremely difficult to swim back out. I will call to you when I have Luke. Summon me."

Solomon was frozen, eyes wide as Barbatos gave his instructions. His gaze flickered to Simeon. The demon saw the thick swallow that made his throat bob before he nodded.

"Be careful, Barb," he said, inching forward but wary of the wild water. "Go. I will summon you when you have Luke."

Solomon grasped Simeon's shoulder as Barbatos allowed him to sit up.

The demon stood at full height and turned to face the ferocious water. He filled his lungs with air and timed his plunge into the churning sea to allow him to pull himself into the cave's entrance before the next wave struck. Salt water thrashed at his back, expediting his entry through the narrow opening and into the cavern, where the violent slosh and roar of water echoed in near darkness.

He broke the surface of the water to find his head mere centimetres from the cave's roof. The tips of his horns scraped against the stone overhead. The water level rose and dipped as the butler strained to see.

"Help!" Luke's voice sputtered.

There!

Luke's small form clung to the cave wall. The outline of small wings protruded from behind him, waterlogged and underdeveloped. They were fragile and useless compared to the unrelenting sea storm. Barbatos took a deep breath as another influx of waves sent the waterline up to the roof. He ducked his head to prevent his horns from dragging against the cave ceiling. When the water ebbed again, he could hear Luke coughing.

"Luke, I'm coming! Stay where you are!"

He barely got the sentence out before the water rose to the roof of the cave again. Barbatos powered towards the small angel, swimming against the weight of the water and the restless back and forth of the current. As he neared, the boy came into focus. Sodden pyjamas with cartoon dogs printed into the fabric weighted him down in the cold water. The shirt was torn at the back where those tiny useless wings had sprouted in Luke's desperation. The futility of his struggles to leave the cave once he had realised that he was trapped had left him exhausted. Barbatos could see him shaking. Whether that was from the frigid temperature or fear of an imminent watery death, the demon could not determine with certainty.

"Hold on to me, Luke," he said.

As he reached for the angel, the push of waves forced him against the wall next to Luke. Small hands grasped at him in the dimness. He pulled Luke onto his hip and held him close, tilting his head up to call out to Solomon. The water submerged them before he could get the sounds out. The saline wash of seawater flooded his mouth as the cave filled.

The water did not ebb.

There was no room to resurface.

Their time was up.

Clutching Luke, Barbatos tried to envision the space above them, where Solomon and Simeon were anxiously waiting. The tide pulled him away from the cave wall and then thrashed him against it once more. The swirling current threatened to turn him upside down. As he had predicted, he could not focus sufficiently to make a portal to facilitate a safe evacuation.

Luke's grip on him was almost painful. As if the small angel could sense the demon's rising panic, his fatigued little wings snapped open and closed through the water as Luke tried to angle himself towards the narrow exit without letting go of the butler.

Swim, Barbatos told himself. Swim against the tide. There is no other choice.

He let the water push him against the wall again, then pushed off with all his might as the current drew back out. Luke's underdeveloped wings continued to beat, though in the angel's frenzied panic, it hindered more than helped their progress. Barbatos adjusted his hold on the boy to pin his wings closed and felt Luke's small fingers digging helplessly into his ribs. The next wave crashed into the cave entrance as Barbatos reached the narrow opening. He grasped the rocky opening with one hand, extending his claws to latch onto the surface. It was barely enough while he kept Luke clutched to him in his other arm. His claws gouged into the rock as the force of the tide threatened to throw them back into the depths of the cave.

Just . . . A moment longer . . .

Clutching to his chest, Luke's small body thrashed. His pinned weak little wings fought to break free of the demon's hold. It sent Barbatos's blood cold. His lungs were burning, but he held the child carefully, keeping his wings pinned. It felt like a small eternity as he waited for that dreadful moment when Luke fell still. His wings stopped trying to beat. The butler's heart froze, though he'd known by that point this would happen. He clutched Luke tighter at his sudden stillness, loathing the way his little hands slackened.

I will not fail you, Luke!

The moment the water stopped trying to push them backwards into the cave, he propelled himself forward. Clearing the cave entrance, he dragged Luke's limp body up. Wet hair plastered over his face as he surfaced, gasping a lungful of air that was thick with ocean spray. The waterline had risen higher than the top of the cave's entrance.

"Barb!" he heard Solomon yelled from above.

"LUKE!" Simeon cried.

"Solomon!" Barbatos shouted, hauling Luke above him. "Take Luke!"

Solomon swore and grabbed Luke. No sooner had the butler passed the child up, another wave crashed over him and pushed him under the water with such force that he could not tell which way was up. The current caught him, sent him tumbling through the water. He resurfaced briefly, with barely a moment to draw breath before the next swell forced him down.

Sharp pain ruptured through his skull as his head found a rock. It sent his vision black. He blinked, tried to find a light source, tried to focus on something, anything. His body lurched with the water. He did not know which way to swim. He tried to move his arms, but the attempt was sluggish. Another wave. And another. Each wave left him more disoriented than the last. Water invaded his lungs. He felt heavy. Was he sinking?

A hand grasped the back of his shirt and then arms were around him, slotting beneath his own. He did not know which way he was being dragged until he broke the surface again.

"I've got you!" Solomon called over the cacophony of the storm.

The demon tried to turn his head, tried to find his ex-lover's face, tried to grasp at his sleeves, but he could hardly manage to move his fingers and his vision was blurred at best. Salt water still stung at his eyes and his chest, and a sticky warmth dribbled across his face. His head was spinning. He felt the surface of the rocks beneath him as the sorcerer pull him from the water. Nearby, he could hear the spluttering and heaving of a recently resuscitated Luke.

"Thank goodness!" Simeon sobbed. "Luke, look at me! Keep your eyes open. You're okay, I've got you now!"

Barbatos heard Solomon swear again. The sticky hot liquid was in his eyes. He managed to raise a hand to his face but wiping the substance only spread it. He felt Solomon's hand around his wrist, pulling it away from his eyes.

"Why is he bleeding?!" Simeon's voice pitched with alarm again.

"He hit his head. Barb, can you hear me?"

I can hear you, he tried to say, but he could only cough up seawater. The pain in his head was overwhelming. His whole body felt cold. The rain was like glass. The blinding white of a lightning flash penetrated through his poor vision and the accompanying crack of thunder was so loud that it hurt. Solomon pressed something soft to the place where his head had impacted against the rocks, applying pressure where his left horn ought to protrude. The pain sharpened. Barbatos winced and tried to pull away but his body would not obey his will.

"We need to get them back to the beach house," Solomon said.

He gathered Barbatos in his arms, resting the injured side of his head carefully against his shoulder. The lurch as the sorcerer stood made the demon feel nauseous. Magic crackled, adding to the noise of the storm. A moment later, the familiar sensation of portal transportation left him unconscious in Solomon's arms.

--

He knew it was a dream when he opened his eyes. The koi fish were so big. They swam around him with shimmering scales and gaping mouths. One was even larger than the others—the size of a fishing barge. It circled him like a wary predator. Its eyes saw into his soul and saw all of the sin that made him.

Barbatos floated, mesmerised by the bright orange of its scales, flecked with red and gold and black. He did not see the giant net that was thrown down over them both until they were entangled. They sank for a moment, then were winched upwards. The giant koi fish transformed, causing the water to bubble and churn as it outgrew the net and tore through.

The demon struggled free of the mangled net. He looked for the giant koi fish, but it had left him. Only a massive whale remained, beating its tail with all its Infernal might to create a typhoon. Overhead, a fishing barge capsized.

Barbatos sank like the boat, realising too late that the other koi fish were circling below like sharks.

One swallowed him whole.

The darkness of its stomach enveloped him.

He must have closed his eyes, because when he opened them again, he was somewhere familiar. A small courtyard. He was sitting by a fountain beneath a fig tree. It was early in the morning. He knew because there was still a crispness to the air, which would evaporate later in the day. Sunlight pierced through the low branches from the east.

Barbatos looked down at the koi fish in the fountain and watched them swim, back to their usual size. He counted them as they wove through clusters of lily pads. Twelve. He counted them every time he sat there.

The demon reached down slowly. They did not scatter as his fingertips met the water. He held his hand there, with the pads of his fingers submerged so that the fish could swim beneath his digits and he could feel their smooth scales and the tickle of their fins.

"So this is where you snuck off to."

Solomon's voice made him look up. He leaned against the doorway from his bedroom into the courtyard, a soft smile on his face.

This is a memory . . .

"I did not wish to wake you," the demon heard himself say.

He watched Solomon approach, reaching up to pluck a ripe fig from the tree overhead before he sat beside the demon. Solomon turned the fig upside down in his hand and pressed his thumbs into the centre, pulling the purple fruit inside-out and in half. He offered one half to Barbatos.

The butler accepted the fruit and savoured the unique flavour and sweetness on his tongue as he ate. He had missed this. The peaceful mornings together were always one of his favourite parts. But when he looked down at his palm, the fig had not been eaten. He frowned. He could taste it on his tongue, but the fruit remained in his hand.

"Aren't you hungry?" Solomon asked. "I could cook you something if you'd prefer."

The demon brought the fruit to his mouth again and savoured the taste anew. But the fig was still uneaten when he lowered his hand.

"Aren't you hungry?" Solomon asked. "I could cook you something if you'd prefer."

I did not eat this fig at the time, did I? No, I was distracted, though I did not know why.

Barbatos looked at him. Really looked at him. His heart clenched. He had loved this man. He could feel it in his chest that he still loved this version of Solomon.

But this is just a memory of when we still made each other happy. The Solomon I was in love with. Not the one I know today.

He reached a hand forward and laid it against the sorcerer's cheek. He had done this once before, as they'd sat beneath the fig tree. Perhaps it was a premonition back then, that one day the happiness they brought to one another would fade. That sometime in the future, their joy would rupture. That these quiet mornings together would cease and their love would turn to resentment.

Solomon gave him an inquisitive look. A small frown played at his brow as he tried to read the demon.

Had he somehow known back then that we would not last?

Without a word, Barbatos kissed the corner of his mouth and quietly pulled away.

"Another time, my love," he said, setting down his half of the fig on the ledge between them. "I must go now."

Notes:

. . . so, how are we all doing after this chapter? 👀

There are two chapters to go.

Chapter 46

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Dull throbs of pain woke Barbatos. He opened his eyes slowly, the lids heavy as he fought his way out of unconsciousness. He struggled to bring the room into focus. A light was on somewhere low and out of his line of sight, but he could not muster the strength to turn his head. The demon blinked slowly, feeling that even such an unhurried movement was difficult to achieve.

A figure entered his field of vision from the periphery, vaguely person-shaped as they leaned over him. They moved strangely, shifting around like a light reflecting off a glass surface as it moved back and forth, splitting into copies of itself before folding back into one. Barbatos blinked again. A small frown formed on his brow as he attempted to focus on the figure. As the details became less fuzzy, colours became more distinct: grey hair that was almost white, dark robes, serious eyes like storm clouds.

Solomon . . .?

The sorcerer's familiar voice came softly.

"Hey, you, you're finally awake."

A tight smile pinched Solomon's face, riddled with concern.

Barbatos blinked again, attempting to rid his vision of the disjointed copies of the man that seemed to float around above him, folding back into the original only to emerge once more. His voice was not forthcoming. He attempted to swallowed a few times, but his throat felt like he was gulping sand. The residual taste of seawater burned down his windpipe and in his lungs.

"There are four of you and I do not like it," he managed hoarsely.

Solomon appeared surprised by the response. His eyebrows shot up and he was momentarily speechless before a strange laugh of relief escaped him. The four copies of him floating above Barbatos closed their mouths and pressed a hand to their lips.

Asmodeus's voice chimed in from somewhere out of his line of sight.

"Ooh, look at me instead! Four of me will be much more pleasant. It might even cure your concussion~"

The words were spoken matter-of-factly. A moment later, Solomon was shoved back into the periphery. The Avatar of Lust leaned over the butler, dipping lower than entirely necessary to ensure the other demon captured every detail of his appearance. Alas, the four copies of Asmodeus became six as he pouted at Barbatos.

"Barbie, you had us worried!" Asmodeus whined, as if the butler had done this on purpose. "I had just finished my shower when I heard the commotion in the entrance hall, so I stuck my head out of the bathroom to find that you were half-drowned and bleeding from your head! Just what did you think you were doing turning up like that?! And my brothers were totally useless! No one would tell me what had happened! They just kept shouting at me to get dressed or at least put a towel on."

Despite the throbbing pain in his skull, Barbatos felt his lips crack into a smile.

"My sincerest apologies, beloved Jewel of the Devildom."

Asmodeus ceased his ranting immediately at those words. He gave a beaming smile and plopped a kiss against the other demon's cheek.

"You are forgiven! But you owe me two spa days now."

"Two?"

Asmodeus nodded as he knelt on the bed and made himself comfortable.

"That's right! You promised me one yesterday when you snuck off for your romantic picnic lunch date with Simeon and assaulted me with a berry! And now you owe me another for causing me stress. You have a duty to help me preserve my illustrious skin!"

Barbatos chuckled. The sound was weak, though sincere. Exhaustion swept through him, relaxing into the normality of such an absurd conversation with Asmodeus.

"In fact, you should be offering me a third spa day!" Asmodeus declared. "I noticed that the lube and condoms I gave you were no longer on your nightstand, and I happened to peek into Simeon's room after realising. Guess what I found in there, hmm~"

Despite the pain in his skull, Barbatos groaned and squeezed his eyes shut. The tingle of blood rushing to his cheeks was an insignificant distraction from the ache. Solomon pointedly coughed into his fist from behind Asmodeus, but the Avatar of Lust giggled his amusement. The butler cleared his throat and regretted not doing so more gently as the burn left from the saltwater flared.

"Luke," Barbatos diverted, trying not to cough from the sensation in his throat. "Where is Luke? Is he alright?"

"Yes," Solomon said quickly.

He peered at Barbatos over Asmodeus's shoulder, wrapping both arms around his lover's lithe waist.

"Simeon was able to resuscitate him while I was pulling you out of the water. He has a few bumps and scrapes and he was quite shaken, but he will be alright."

Barbatos had not realised how tense he was upon asking the question until relief rush through him. His shoulders settled back against the pillows.

"Thank the stars . . ."

There was a beat of silence before Solomon shifted. His movements were stiff. Even with the multiple vision skewing his perception, Barbatos could tell that he was hesitant about something.

"Solomon," Barbatos said. "What is it?"

The sorcerer's expression became distant. Asmodeus bit his lip and carefully slid out of his lover's arms. He gave Solomon a kiss on the cheek.

"I need to moisturise," he announced. "Good to see you awake, Barbie~"

Barbatos did not dare attempt to turn his head, but he imagined that Asmodeus strutted from the room with his hips swinging. The door clicked shut behind him, leaving the ex-lovers alone in each other's company. Slowly, the sorcerer shifted to sit on the edge of the mattress. The demon blinked a few more times and managed to get his multiple vision down to just two Solomons before either of them spoke.

"Your head hit the rocks," Solomon said, as if that explained everything.

The butler waited for him to continue, turning his head ever so slightly to the side to better view the sorcerer. He regretted the movement immediately as it made his head spin and sent a sharp pain through his skull. Solomon was facing away from him, seated on the edge of the mattress. Barbatos followed his gaze down to his hands, where he turned something over between his fingers. The demon could not quite make out what it was without turning his head further, which he considered to be a terrible idea at the present time.

"I didn't know your horns were hollow," Solomon managed.

His voice was tight in his throat. Barbatos frowned at the odd observation.

"I am quite sure I told you that when we were together," he said.

Solomon nodded. "Perhaps. It doesn't sound so unfamiliar when I think about it. Maybe I had simply forgotten until now." After a short pause, Solomon spoke again. "Will it grow back?"

"Pardon?"

"Oh . . . When you hit your head, one of your horns snapped off . . ." He held up the item in his hand, slender and black and bony, then folded his hands in his lap still clutching it. "I wasn't sure if it would grow back or if it would need to be reattached with magic, so I searched for it after the storm passed. I found it in the rockpools once the tide went back out."

"I suppose that explains why my head hurts so much," Barbatos said. "It will grow back."

"Ah. I'm glad to hear it."

"You may be able to grind it into dust and use it in a potion."

It was half a joke, but there was truth to it. However, the only acknowledgement he received from the sorcerer was the way his shoulders jolted in a weak laugh. When Solomon remained facing away, Barbatos slid a hand towards him until he found the sorcerer's sleeve. His fingers curled into the material.

"I owe you my thanks. You overcame your fear of the ocean to save me."

A bitter note of laughter left Solomon's throat. He caught the demon's hand and turned his head, looking over his shoulder with a withered expression.

"It occurred to me, when I saw the water around you turn red, that I have only seen you bleed once before." The weight of his words hung over them. "That was the day I ruined any chance we had of being together."

"Solomon, that was three centuries ago. We have long since discussed what happened between us back then. You learned from it."

"Did I?" he asked. "Because these last few days, I've been selfish. And it wasn't just you I hurt this time. It was Asmodeus too. And Simeon. And yes, I realised that the other night but . . . Seeing you bleed like that again made me realise all over just how severe the consequences of my actions can be."

"This time it was not your fault that I bled," Barbatos said.

"I was meant to summon you out of the cave once you had Luke, but I didn't hear you call to me."

"The cave flooded before I could call out. I knew the risk of going into the water. That was my decision," Barbatos admitted. 

Solomon pursed his lips.

"Why did you stop Simeon?"

The question gave the demon pause. He stared back at the sorcerer, silent.

"He would have been protected by his angel's blessing at least to an extent. And Luke is his charge. Why did you stop him?"

How do I explain this without betraying Simeon's trust?

When the butler continued not to respond, Solomon sighed and carded his hands through his hair.

"The first day we were here at the beach house, you tried to tell me something was wrong with him. I was too preoccupied by my own jealousy to listen. I didn't even think about it again until this morning, when you held him down on the rocks. But you know what is wrong now, don't you?"

"Solomon . . ."

"I think I know it too," he said quietly. "But I hope to the stars that I'm wrong."

Barbatos drew in a deep breath to sigh, but the scrape of air against his dry throat left him coughing instead. The way he jolted made his head spin and left black spots invading his vision. He squeezed his eyes shut, waiting for it to all pass. Solomon spoke an incantation and pressed a hand carefully over the demon's throat.

"Easy now. Okay, try taking a breath again."

The butler did so, and found it came easier. His throat still tickled, but it did not feel like swallowing a mouthful of sand. Barbatos attempted to sit up. He felt Solomon shift to help, a hand supporting his back and his head until the room stopped spinning for the demon. Once the sorcerer was satisfied that the demon would not topple over, he let go and fluffed up a pillow for Barbatos to lean back on. The butler thanked him quietly.

"If you are concerned for Simeon, I think it would be best if you spoke to him directly."

The sorcerer nodded his agreement.

"I will speak to him privately some time."

There was a long pause in which Solomon settled himself next to Barbatos on the bed. Their shoulders rested against each other. The butler did not pull away when the sorcerer reached for his hand and slipped cool fingers between his own.

"Thank you for looking out for him. And for saving Luke. I'm . . . I'm happy for you and Simeon if the two of you are happy together."

Barbatos considered the man beside him. Solomon met his gaze. There was something wholly defeated about the way he held himself, which Barbatos found unfamiliar. But that something also felt like acceptance. His ex-lover's words felt like letting go. The demon's heart clenched within his chest. He took a deep breath and forced himself to relax.

It is time for us to move on now. Both of us.

Notes:

Coming off the back of the previous chapter, I thought we were due for a bit of comedy before the more somber conversation at the end.

Also, you may have noticed that I've added this fic to a series: Spin (Simeon/Barbatos). I might share some one-shots or spin-offs (get it?) and I do have some ideas for a sequel. You can subscribe to the series to make sure you don't miss out on updates if and when I share related stories!

There is one chapter to go . . . I hope you're ready. I'm not.

Chapter 47

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

"I promise you that I am quite alright now, Young Master," Barbatos sighed for the umpteenth time.

The prince tilted his butler's head this way and that, examining the remaining signs of a cracked skull and a snapped horn. He had insisted on examining Solomon’s magical healing handiwork himself despite the late hour, claiming that he would not be able to rest for the night unless he was certain that Barbatos was on the mend.

"The scar is so small now," Lord Diavolo hummed.

His lips were drawn into a heavy pout and a frown furrowed his brow. The concern he felt for his butler’s wellbeing was evident. Barbatos found it touching, but he hated to think that his master should fuss over him like this.

"Barb, are you absolutely sure your horn will grow back? Surely Solomon can reattach it using magic. Right, Solomon?"

The sorcerer was standing by the doorway, leaning against the wall with his arms crossed. Asmodeus was hovering by the foot of the bed again. He had also chosen to fuss over Barbatos's injuries after Solomon had worked on them a bit more, though he had been more concerned about the aesthetic implications of the scarring.

"I could," Solomon confirmed, opening his arms for Asmodeus as the demon glided his way. "But if his horn will grow back of its own accord, it is better to let nature run its course."

Asmodeus sidled up to the sorcerer, pressing his back to Solomon's chest. He played with the ends of the sleeves of Solomon's robe when the sorcerer wrapped his arms around his waist.

"Thankfully, demons are difficult to kill. If he were human, he probably would have been dead before I pulled him out of the water thanks to that injury. A missing horn would be the least of our worries."

"My Lord," Barbatos intoned, catching the prince's hand. "I am well again. I assure you."

"You still need to rest," Lucifer declared, striding into the room.

The Avatar of Pride looked exhausted. Barbatos supposed he had been handling damage control and ensuring nobody flew into a panic after the state Luke and the butler had been in when Solomon and Simeon brought them back to the house. He had no doubt been the one to make sure everyone involved in that morning’s ordeal had received the medical attention they required . . . and that somebody cleaned up all the puddles they brought back with them.

"Solomon's magic may have healed your skull, but there will still be some residual swelling," Lucifer said with finality.  

"That's right," Solomon said, resting his chin on Asmo's shoulder. "You'll finish healing quickly on your own, but you need to take it easy for a few days to be sure the swelling has all subsided."

Lord Diavolo's large hands dropped from the butler's face. Despite his concerned expression, he managed to look triumphant.

"So there," he said with a smirk. "Be gentle with yourself. No cooking or cleaning for the rest of the week here."

The butler opened his mouth to protest, but a firm look from both Diavolo and Lucifer resigned him to the decision, lest he come across as insubordinate.

"Don't worry, Barbatos. I'll help with the cooking while you recover," Solomon smiled.

Asmodeus went rigid while the other couple shared a panicked glance.

"You will do no such thing," Barbatos said firmly. "Stay out of my kitchen, Solomon."

The sorcerer laughed lightly.

"It’s good to know that you haven't lost your sense of humour."

With an amused sigh, Asmodeus turned in his lover's hold and draped his arms over Solomon's shoulders.

"I think you've done plenty of work between helping find and rescue Luke and patching up Barbatos." His voice dropped to a sultry purr. "I think you should come relax with me in my room now."

Solomon's cheeks turned pink. Before he could muster an answer, Asmodeus led him out of the room, sending a saucy wink over his shoulder at the others. Lucifer gave a tired sigh and ran a hand through his hair. Barbatos gave him an apologetic smile for inadvertently piling responsibilities onto him.

"I shall divvy up the cleaning and cooking duties between my brothers. Do not trouble yourself, Barbatos."

"Very well. I shall show my gratitude for your assistance properly when I am better able."

Lucifer was already shaking his head before the words finished leaving the butler's mouth.

Diavolo chuckled. He looked tired, too. Barbatos felt dreadful for causing him such distress on their holiday.  

"It's quite late. Do you need anything before we leave you to rest, Barb?" the prince checked.

"No, thank you, Young Master. You should both rest as well. Thank you for ensuring my wellbeing today and I apologise for causing such an inconvenience."

Lord Diavolo shook his head lightly, though his arms crossed over his chest. There was no denying that he was bothered by what had happened.

"You saved Luke's life today. You have nothing to apologise for. However, next time somebody needs rescuing, let the rest of us know so that we can help!"

"Yes, My Lord," Barbatos sighed.

He bowed his head carefully, feeling chastised by his master. He had worried Diavolo greatly. He would have to make that up to him once his head finished healing.

Lucifer broke the tension with a tired chuckle.

"Goodnight, Barbatos," he said, practically dragging his prince from the room. "Rest well."

Once the door closed behind them both, the butler sighed deeply. However, he did not lay down to attempt sleep again. Instead, he waited, listening to the sounds of the bedtime routines outside his door until he was certain the Young Master and Lucifer had retired for the night.

It had been late when he had regained consciousness, and although he had been reassured of Luke's wellbeing, the need to check on the young angel himself itched at his mind.

Then of course, there's Simeon. I assume he will still be with Luke. Solomon indicated he had not left Luke's side since we returned from our misadventure. 

He got to his feet slowly, cautious of the way movement still made his head spin a little.

At least I no longer have multiple vision . . .

He padded quietly from his room, closing the door silently before he made his way through the entrance hall and into the other hallway. Simeon's bedroom door was open and the room was empty—oh dear, I must change his sheets! —but the soft light of a lamp emanated from Luke's room further along. Barbatos peered around the doorway to find the young angel fast asleep, curled up in his bed with the covers tucked up to his ears.

The demon's heart froze for a moment, recalling the way Luke's small body had thrashed in his arms as he drowned, unable to hold his breath any longer. Barbatos had not taken the time to process that moment as it happened. His focus had been set on getting them out as soon as he could. Goosebumps rose along his arms and a knot tugged at his stomach. It made him feel ill.

Barbatos stepped into the room and approached the bed silently. When he sat on the mattress, he found the space beside the young angel warm.

Simeon must have just left.

Gently, he placed a hand on Luke's back, feeling for the rise and fall of his small frame through the blankets. He listened for the child's breath. The assurance of seeing and feeling that the young angel was alive almost sent his entire body slack. His hands were shaking as he pulled them back to himself, placing one over his mouth to muffle the relieved sigh he could not hold back. There was something wet and warm on his cheeks. His breath shook as he drew it in.

What would we have done if we had lost him?

Certainly, Lord Diavolo would have allowed me to shift the timeline to undo such a loss, as he has allowed me to do once before. But such tampering does not truly erase what happened. As it stands, there will be other timelines where—

He forced the thought away. He did not wish to disturb the young angel's rest by losing his composure. There would be time, later, to mourn the tragedy he would have failed to prevent in other iterations of reality.

He clung to the present instead.

Luke was alive.

He was safe and breathing and resting.

The demon reached a hand to Luke's golden hair and smoothed it down, keeping his touch light even has his hand trembled.

"There you are." Simeon's quiet voice drew his attention to the doorway. "I was going to bring you a cup of tea, but you weren't in your room."

The man held two cups with steam rising from the surface of their liquid. He leaned in the doorway, careful not to spill. Emotions tumbled across his face as he watched the demon find his feet again. The blue of his eyes danced with the soft yellow of the lamplight as Barbatos stepped towards him.

"I needed to see for myself that he was alright," Barbatos whispered. "And I wished to see you as well."

His cheeks became rosy with his confession. Simeon's expression softened. The former angel offered him one of the steaming cups of tea and he carefully accepted. With one hand free, Simeon rested a palm to the demon's cheek and swiped his thumb over the skin.

Tears, Barbatos realised, feeling the damp warmth rubbed away. I am so very relieved that Luke is still with us in this here and now.

Barbatos pressed his own hand over Simeon's, holding it in place for a moment.

"Will you sit with me while we drink our tea?" Simeon asked.

He inclined his head down the hallway. Barbatos gave a slight nod. They lingered in the doorway of Luke's room a moment longer before Simeon withdrew his hand and led the way elsewhere. The demon followed him back through the entrance hall and casual dining room, to the kitchen. They kept their footsteps light so as not to disturb their sleeping friends. Simeon opened the door that led from the kitchen out onto the verandah and held it for the demon to step through.

Outside, the air was crisp. The storm had given the earth a thorough soaking, but the sky had long since cleared. They sat with their backs against the wall, looking out towards where the grassy yard sloped down to meet the sandy beach. The gentle roar of the waves carried up to them as they settled there, shoulder-to-shoulder.

"How is your head?" Simeon asked, setting his tea aside to cool. "I know Solomon worked his magic, but I've been preoccupied with Luke since . . . Well . . ."

Barbatos gave a single nod, keeping the movement gentle.

"My head is fine. Though Lord Diavolo is insistent that I take a few days to rest regardless."

Simeon's laughter was like a balm, gentle and sweet to his ears.

"You should rest."

His tone was playful, but that fell away with a heavy sigh. His mouth turned down at the corners.

"Thank you for saving Luke. I don't know what I would have done if . . ."

He left the sentence hanging. Barbatos found one of his hands and squeezed.

"He is safe now," he said.

"You risked yourself for him. Stars, you were only in the water for a few minutes and it felt like forever while I was waiting above the cave with Solomon."

"You were worried about Luke," Barbatos said.

"I was worried about both of you." He fixed the demon with a firm look. "You stopped me from jumping in and then went and got your own head smashed on a rock."

"And still lived to tell the tale. That injury would have killed you instantly, Simeon. And that would have been if you hadn't drowned before that point."

Simeon quietened, his lips pressing into a line. However, he did not pull his hand away from the butler's.

"I know," he murmured. "Thank you for stopping me. I'm glad you're okay."

They sat quietly for a while, hand-in-hand, until Barbatos broke the silence again.

"How was Luke after he came to?"

A smile of amusement pinched Simeon's cheeks.

"He had me so worried, Barb. But he was fine once he coughed up some water. Just shaken. He wouldn't let go of me for hours . . . Though I wasn't about to let go of him again too soon either."

Barbatos chuckled at the mental image of Luke tearfully attaching himself to Simeon while the latter attempted to change them both into dry clothes. Then he thought of Luke's sleeping face in the soft lamplight of his bedroom. He looked peaceful, as he should be, safe and warm.

"I spoke to him about what happened this morning," Simeon continued. "After the others were satisfied that we were okay and left us alone."

Barbatos took a sip from his teacup.

"I know you were concerned about having that conversation with him. How did he handle it?"

Simeon took up his teacup as well and blew the steam from the surface.

"He actually took it quite well. He'd been confused and scared because he didn't know how to react to catching us . . . like that . . . I think almost drowning in a cave may have helped him move past it though," he finished with a soft laugh.

The demon chuckled too.

"I can understand why he was taken aback by walking in on us. Did he understand that we are still working out what will be between us moving forward?"

A strange, almost happy smile formed across Simeon's mouth.

"Yes, he said that was okay once I explained it. I was honest with him about it, like you suggested. It was a good idea. Luke said he just wants me to be happy. And he promised to knock before he comes running into my room from now on."

They both laugh at that. The way the gentle joy shook the demon's body made his head spin again. He set down his teacup for a moment and waited for his surroundings to still.

"Here, you can lean on me," Simeon said.

He placed his teacup down again, in favour of sliding an arm around Barbatos. The gesture left the demon's heart skipping a beat, but he allowed himself to slump into the careful embrace. Simeon tucked the butler's head against his shoulder and refrained from resting his cheek against his hair. Softly, he left a kiss against the crown of Barbatos's head, brushing over the place where his skull had cracked that morning. The contact tingled in a way that was not unpleasant as the world stopped spinning. And maybe, just maybe, Barbatos let himself believe that, despite the loss of his blessing, Simeon had somehow healed him just a little with his lips.

"I believe I am falling in love with you."

The words left the demon's mouth unbidden. They were murmured into the fresh air flowing in from the ocean, not quite spoken as if they were a secret, but with all the vulnerability an ancient and powerful demon could muster in the arms of an angel who had lost his blessing. His chest felt warm, but he was surprised to find he did not feel nervous for having confessed such feelings.

"I . . ." Simeon sighed. "I don't feel like I'm worth falling in love with right now, Barb."

Barbatos sat up and faced the former angel. He cupped Simeon's face with one hand, coaxing the man to look at him. Those striking celestial blue irises met his gaze, filled with sadness and fear. The demon searched their depths, quiet for a long moment as he looked for the glimpses of happiness and hope and healing he had seen the previous night. With their faces close, it was easy to brush his lips against Simeon's. The simple action made the former angel's eyes light up with the things Barbatos was searching for. They shared a shy smile.

"If you are finding it difficult to love yourself right now, would you allow me to love you instead?" He asked the question softly. "Perhaps, if you'd be willing, I could teach you how to love yourself again."

Simeon hesitated. His hope flickered. Barbatos held his gaze, unwavering and patient despite the anticipation that built in his chest.

"I don't think I'm in the right headspace to figure out how I feel right now, or to make a decision about having a relationship. But . . . Barb, being around you is the best I have felt since the Celestial Realm took away my blessing." He gave a half-hearted laugh. "I'm sorry. I don't know what to do."

Disappointment settled in the demon's stomach, but it was gentle. Barbatos considered the other man for a moment. His fingers traced back along Simeon's cheek to tuck a lock of hair behind his ear.

"Then might I humbly suggest, since in a few days I will return to the Demon Lord's Castle with the Young Master and you will return to the Human Realm with Luke, that in two weeks, on the Friday evening, we simply meet for dinner. I can arrange to spend the evening in the Human Realm. I believe there is a quaint eatery down an alleyway just two blocks away from the Angel's Halo which is supposedly quite the hidden gem. Perhaps we could sample their menu together."

Simeon's cheeks darkened with a blush. The corner of his mouth twitched into a shy smile again. The demon tempered the small rush of triumph that beat through his chest.

"Barbatos . . . Are you asking me on a date?"

A date . . .

The butler's eyes glowed faintly under the verandah's shadow.

"Indeed, that is my intent. And perhaps, if that date goes well and if you are not opposed to it, we may organise another. And then, perhaps, another. And so on, until you are ready to make a decision."

He heard Simeon's breath catch in his throat. He swallowed before he answered.

"Would you truly wait for me like that?"

Barbatos drew closer, resting his forehead against Simeon's. The tips of their noses brushed.

"For as long as it takes. I shall wait for you. Is that acceptable?"

Timid fingers found their way into Barbatos's hair. Simeon's face tilted slightly to one side. Their lips slotted together. They shared a gentle kiss. It lingered, warm and patient, careful and filled with promise. Their foreheads rested together when they separated.

"I would like that very much," Simeon agreed.

Barbatos smiled.

"Then I look forward to our first date."

Their tea was tepid by the time they reached for their cups again. With the sea breeze carrying a chill, they kept an arm around one another. The warmth of their bodies pressed close, and the gentle hope for a future in their hearts, staved off the cold. They breathed in the cool night air together and sipped their cold tea as they watched the roaring ocean lap at the shore. The Devildom constellations twinkled overhead, dotting the dark waters with their distant light.

 

 

 

The end . . . for now.

 

Notes:

[Peeks around the corner] That's it. That's the last chapter. I'm feeling pretty emotional about it because I got really emotionally invested in this story and the Simeon/Barbatos romance and— hnnng I'm very soft for them.

I am planning a sequel (THEY'RE GOING ON CUTE DATES!!!!) and might share some other bits and pieces, so I have created a series. If you want to get updates when I post that stuff, make sure you subscribe to the series.

But first, I'll be circling back to my Studying at the House of Lamentation series!

I hope you guys liked the final chapter of Spin! I love hearing from you, so drop a comment to tell me what you thought of it! Thank you so much for reading my silly little brainrot. 💚

 

Find me on socials: salsaverde-nsfw.carrd.co

Series this work belongs to: