Actions

Work Header

dreams are what make us

Summary:

Tragedy occurs when 9 year old Izuku Midoriya falls victim to a raging villain in Musutafu City, leading him to fall into a coma and meet the enigmatic being known as Dream of the Endless.

Chapter 1: smiles, flames, dream

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

On the 12th hour of the 14th day of July, a villain with a powerful fire quirk wreaked havoc in the city of Musutafu, Japan, leading to demolished property, lives lost, and thousands of hearts shattered.

One of his unfortunate victims was 9 year old Izuku Midoriya. A bright-eyed boy who dreamed about becoming a hero and saving the world despite having a... disadvantage.

At the time of the incident, him and his father were walking to his mother's office to pick her up and spend the day together, when the villain appeared and shot a stream of fire at the speeding vehicles on the road, causing a truck to swerve out of the way, and accidentally hit them both.

The father, Hisashi Midoriya, was fatally injured and never made it to the hospital, while Izuku suffered a severe head injury and unfortunately went into a coma, leaving the matriarch of the family all alone.

The villain was finally apprehended when All Might and the Pro Heroes arrived, but the damage was already done. Lives were lost, and nothing could change that.

~~~~~

On the 14th day of July, Izuku Midoriya fell into a deep, possibly endless slumber, and what he dreamed of was a beautiful green field filled with spider lily flowers.

Turning around, he saw his dad walking towards him alongside a pale woman with a necklace that vaguely resembled a cross, and a tall man with an equally pale complexion.

"Hey there kiddo," his father greeted him with a sad smile.. eyes glistening as he knelt down in front of him, "Are you okay? Are you feeling anything strange?" he asked, receiving a soft shake 'no' from Izuku.

"H-how about you d-dad?" the boy stammered out, "A-are you okay?"

Trying desperately not to cry in front of his child, Hisashi turned away for a moment, and wiped the tears from his eyes.

"O-of course I am, kiddo!" he said with a trembling smile, "I'm perfectly fine!"

Breathing deeply, Hisashi closed his eyes for a moment before opening them and looking deep into Izuku's green eyes, the very same ones he'd inherited from his mother.

"Izuku.. I-- dad's going to have to go somewhere very far away, okay?"

"B-but.. dad wh--"

"Because I have to kiddo." he said with a resolute glimmer in his eyes. "I can't really explain why, but I have to..."

"Don't worry buddy!" the pale woman interjected with a broad grin, "I'll keep your dad safe and sound!"

Izuku looked up at the woman with teary eyes and nodded hesitantly, a stray tear falling down his cheek as he grabbed his father into a tight hug.

"Tell your mom I love her, Izuku." he instructed, a small smile appearing on his tear-stained face.

"You're the best son I could have ever asked for, Izuku; I love you so much."

With those last words, Hisashi Midoriya stood up and walked away, the woman guiding him until they both disappeared in the distance.

A few moments passed before a deep unearthly voice shook the boy out of his stupor.

"Your name is Izuku Midoriya, yes?" the man inquired, making the boy slightly jump in surprise.

"Um.. y-yes sir," he mumbled, "A-and y-you are?"

"I have many names, but I would prefer that you call me Dream." he replied, putting a soft guiding hand on Izuku's back as he walked towards a grand castle.

"We have much to discuss; so come, Izuku Midoriya."

Notes:

So, this is my attempt to rewrite a crossover between MHA and The Sandman by Neil Gaiman!

I disliked my first attempt, so I'm trying to find a way to make it better!

I hope you stick with me through this journey and are satisfied with the work I try to do!

Chapter 2: tears, tea, twinkle

Chapter Text

With an audible click, the doors of the office were locked shut as Izuku and Dream entered, leaving the two to speak with one another in total privacy.

"Sit, Izuku Midoriya." he instructed, "You will need it."

"I know you are wondering what I will discuss with you." he said as he sat down across Izuku with a quiet plop.

"I will get to the point, Izuku Midoriya." Dream said with an authoritative tone, making the child unconsciously straighten his back.

"You are currently in a coma."

"While he still had the chance, your father used a favor that I have granted him, of which I have promised to do my utmost to fulfill."

"From today until the day you pass away, I will raise you as my own flesh and blood."

Many moments passed, as the two of them sat in silence, Izuku staring at Dream with a blank expression as the words echoed inside his head.

"W-what do you mean I'm in a coma?" he asked with a frightened expression, "T-that's when someone can't wake up from their sleep right? W-what happened to mom? Is she o-okay?"

Raising his legs, he hid behind his knees as he shook in fright, his complexion slowly becoming paler and paler as he muttered incomprehensible words over and over again, the feeling of fear taking over him.

"Child." Dream called out, kneeling in front of Izuku as he put a hand on his shoulder, shaking him out of his trance.

"Do not give in to your fear," he advised, "As long as you are under my protection, no harm will befall you or your mother."

"Now, it has been a long day.. and I think that small body of yours may need some sustenance."

"I-I'm not little!" he vehemently denied with blushing cheeks, drawing a chuckle of amusement from Dream.

"All right, we will discuss the size of your stature at a later time, but for now... you must eat."

Without a moment to react, Izuku found himself in a different room.. larger than the office, but small enough that it wasn't overwhelming.

A table was set in the middle, with three people sitting in their chairs, conversing with each other.

"Oi Matty, do you know when Dream's arriving? It's been nearly a year since I've seen the arse, and I've been itching to see him again."

"I don't know Hob, the boss said he was doing his friend a favor or something, he didn't let me come with him so it must've been something private."

"Oh shush Matthew, you shouldn't be talking about the Lord's affairs without his permission."

It was then that he accidentally knocked down a vase beside him, making all of them look in his direction, their full attention suddenly directed on him, causing him to stiffen up.

"U-um.. hello," he greeted, "I-I'm Izuku, Mr. Dream sent me here."

All of their eyebrows rose, two of them looked at each other like they'd heard surprising news, while the other stood up and walked towards Izuku.

The man that stood up was tall, very tall, taller than even Dream. And yet, Izuku found his presence was no more intimidating than a 1 month old Shiba Inu.

He had amber hair, a green checkered suit, pointed ears, and a kind smile that Izuku couldn't help but be pulled into.

"Well hello, Izuku." he greeted, "My name is Lucien, would you like to join us for a cup of tea?"

Izuku looked curiously at the man who introduced himself as Lucien and hesitantly nodded, meekly walking towards the table with Lucien.

Sitting meekly beside a man with sharp brown eyes, and black hair that reached the bottom of his neck, Izuku sat silently until Lucien returned with a tray of tea, coffee, and two plates of brownies and tea cakes.

With one sniff, Izuku felt his stomach growling due to the brownies and tea cakes as he looked at the pastries with a glutinous look.

"Well? Eat, kid." the man gestured towards the pastries with an amused chuckle at Izuku's antics.

Without a second thought, Izuku began devouring a plate of brownies and drank the tea like his life depended on it.

The three men watched as he devoured the plate of food with a speed they've never seen before, only slowing down to take a deep breath before continuing to eat the sweets as if he had a vacuum down in his stomach.

"I suggest you slow down, lad." a well dressed man with slicked back hair and a short beard told Izuku with a small smile, "You look like a bloody vacuum with how fast you're eating those brownies."

"My name's Hob by the way, Hob Gadling." he introduced himself, extending his arm across the table to shake Izuku's hand.

"My friend to your left is Matthew, he and Lucien work for Dream." Hob explained, gesturing to the man beside Izuku.

"So kid." Matthew started, "How'd you end up here?"

Swallowing the last piece of teacake, Izuku downed the cup of tea and sat still for a moment, thinking about how to answer Matthew's question.

"I-I was in an accident." Izuku began to explain, "A person appeared on the road and h-he used his quirk on people."

"HAHAHAHA! BURN!"

CRACKLE, HISS!

Staring at his lap, Izuku felt tears streaming down his cheeks, as he tried to explain what happened to him.

"My d-d-dad and I were walking down the street w-when I saw a light coming at us."

"Are you excited to spend the day at the amusement park, Izu?"

"Yeah!"

"Hahaha! Mom is excited too, so we better get to her quickly!"

BEEEEEP!

"Izuku!"

BANG!

"All I remember was hitting my head on the ground, before everything went dark and I woke up in the field in front of Mr. Dream's castle."

Sniffing, Izuku tried to wipe off the tears that were running down his face with his shirt as he continued his story, "And then.. d-dad came to me with Mr. Dream and this nice lady, h-h-he said that he had t-to go somewhere far away, and then.. h-he walked away."

The three men all gave looks of sympathy at the child, Matthew rubbing circles on Izuku's back as he let out all of his pent up emotions.

"After that, M-Mr. Dream took me to his office and told me that--"

"That I will take care of you in Hisashi and Inko's stead, as if you are my own flesh and blood." Dream interrupted as he entered the room, an apron on his torso, and a tray of food in his hands.

Standing simultaneously, Matthew gave Dream a stiff salute while Lucien bowed and gave his greetings.

"At ease, Matthew." he instructed while putting the tray on the table, the dish's scent immediately making it's presence known, "You are currently off duty, so don't be so stiff around me, old friend."

Matthew simply muttered a small apology while plopping back down on his chair, running his hand through his hair.

"I apologize for being late, everyone." Dream said as the table expanded, giving enough room for him to sit beside Izuku.

"I had to fulfill... a favor." he glanced at Izuku for a quick moment before he snapped his fingers and eating utensils appeared on the table.

"Now, let us eat." he said, "We may converse after we finish eating."

~~~~~

"So, help make this clear for me, yeah?"

"The lad is Hisashi Midoriya's flesh and blood?" Hob asked, rubbing the bridge of his nose in confusion.

"Yes."

"The same Hisashi Midoriya who freed me and my darlin' Jules from those Triad bastards by burning down the entire bloody building?"

"The very same."

"Bloody hell." Hob sighed tiredly, glancing at Izuku from a distance as the boy laughed and played with Matthew.

"What did you say he wanted to do when he grew up?" he asked Dream, cogs turning in his mind as he waited for the man's response.

"He dreams of a future where he is a hero that can save everyone with a smile."

"I see... So that gives me about eight years years until he's eligible to enter a hero university."

"Indeed, my friend." Dream nodded, his star-like eyes shining brighter than normal as he gave Hob a knowing look.

"Don't give me that look, Morpheus." Hob warned with an amused grin, "I'm not the only one planning on helping the lad's skills.. bloom now, am I?"

"Of course. After all, any child from that mortal's lineage always grows into a prodigy." Dream had a far-away look in his eyes, it was as if he was reminiscing about times long gone, a memory he stored deep within the depths of his mind.

"Aye, I know." Hob scoffed as he pat Dream's shoulder and turned to leave.

"I'll see you around, friend."

Dream watched as Hob Gadling walked into the distance, his silhouette turning smaller and smaller until he vanished, returning to the waking world.

~~~~~

"Now, before you take your rest... I feel like I must tell you approximately how long you will stay in a coma." Dream said as he sat down on the edge of Izuku's bed, ready to tuck him in and put him to 'sleep'.

"Based on what I have observed, the injuries you have sustained to your mind and body will take at least 9 months to completely heal."

Dream expected the child to completely break down crying again, but instead.. he simply nodded.

It seems as though the short time he'd spent in the Dreaming with had helped him come to terms and fully understand the situation he was in.

"Now. Even though you are in a coma, it does not mean you are free to wander about in the Dreaming and do nothing but eat and play."

"Laziness and irresponsibility are two of the things I greatly despise, so I am hoping that you will grow into a reliable and responsible young man under my care."

Dream raised his hand and conjured three journals, putting them on the desk beside Izuku's bed as a sheet of paper containing what seemed to be a blank schedule appeared on the wall.

"In the afternoon, you will be taught by Lucien in any possible field you may require in the coming years, do not hesitate to come to him if you wish to learn a skill, he will be more than happy to help."

"Now we will talk about other studies," Dream informed Izuku as words appeared on the paper schedule, "Because of your special circumstance, I had initially thought of discarding physical training due to how idiotic it would be to train a mortal's body while he is comatose."

"But I think I have found a way for your body to grow alongside your mental manifestation... A loophole, of sorts."

With a flash of light, and the whirling of sand around them... Dream formed an onyx ring, with thin crimson veins running through it as the ring vibrated with his power.

"Wear this ring at all times, Izuku. It is filled with a small piece of my essence, and will act as a conduit for your physical body to soak up the energies of the Dreaming. Turning you into a portal between worlds."

As Izuku put the ring on, it shrank down and changed to fit perfectly on his finger.

"A-amazing!" Izuku exclaimed with astonished eyes, causing Dream to smile in satisfaction, the stars in his eyes glowing to reflect his emotions.

"I'm pleased to hear that." Dream admitted, "Now rest, child. There's someone who wishes to see you tomorrow."

Without any clarification, the Lord of Dreams disappeared into a flurry of golden sand, leaving Izuku alone in the dark room with only his thoughts, and the comfortable hug of sleep.