Actions

Work Header

Breathe

Summary:

Izuku has always had issues with his self image. Naturally, Midoriya learned how to hide it from others and keep it in his mind. But Katsuki was one to see through the guard and get a peak at what Izuku was thinking.

(katsuki loves izuku and wants him to feel better about himself)
-pls forgive me this is old and rushed

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Izuku has always had issues with his self image. Everyone could tell at some points but not always. Ever since he got into UA and gained more control over his newfound quirk, it went away more. It had been something even before middle school, Izuku has never been one to think positively about himself. Naturally, Midoriya learned how to hide it from others and keep it in his mind. But Katsuki was one to see through the guard and get a peak at what Izuku was thinking. 

 

So times like this where Izuku would hide away in his room over the weekend and become quieter than usual weren’t normal to everyone but they didn’t poke at the topic. Kacchan knew better. He knew Izuku. He knew this wasn’t something that was because he was tired or watching a new show. Kacchan knew. Izuku also knew he did. That’s why when he found a certain blonde knocking at his door on a Saturday night it was not shocking. Izuku had been waiting for his significant other to hopefully pick up on his behavior because he didn’t want to bother the other. Another thing he found himself lacking was the skill of thinking that his own boyfriend wouldn’t care about his feelings.

 

“Deku. Open up, It’s me.” Izuku just slightly thought he could get away with acting like he was asleep. He peeked at the clock on his dresser. Only 10:00 P.M. This was late for Katsuki, not for Izuku. He couldn’t get away with this. He also couldn’t stand the idea of passing up a chance to talk to Kacchan, of course. He arose from his bed, gaining his balance taking a few deep breaths before opening the door. 

 

“Hi Kacchan! What brings you so late? I would think you would be going to bed at this time?” He creaked the door and stood aside so Katsuki could make his way in. This was a familiar action knowing each other would find a comfortable spot in the others room. They knew each other. Which is why Katsuki knew Izuku was nervous. 

 

“Hm. It’s whatever. We gotta talk.” Izuku visually tensed and Bakugou must have noticed because he held his hand to guide him to the near-by bed. Izuku’s room was surprisingly clean with the exception of a few water bottles. They settled for the edge of the bed and Izuku took a quick but not unnoticed sigh. 

 

“Okay. What’s up? Is it about classwork or training or something else?” Izuku wants to lighten the air that seems to weigh tons as suddenly, he can’t breathe. He can’t seem to relax. 

 

“Izuku. I’m not an idiot . Those extras might not see it but I do. I thought you would know better than to hide this shit. C’mon, what’s on your mind?” Katsuki’s facing him. Izuku is still staring at the wall. Tears are seen prickling in the corners of the forest green eyes that Katsuki loves. It hurts him to see Izuku like this. He is filled with self doubt and insecurities and all Kacchan wants to do is make those thoughts banish from his boyfriend’s mind. Katsuki thought Izuku was more than amazing, more than enough, He was the definition of perfection. 

 

Katsuki told Izuku he thought he was pretty, perfect, enough or even just a nice person. And he would any day, any time, anywhere to make sure Izuku knew; but Katsuki also knew it wouldn’t be so easy. Katsuki loved him and would sacrifice his own life if it meant Izuku could believe those things. 

 

“Kacchan.” That’s all Izuku could say. He collapsed. Everything laid out, he was crying on Katsuki's shoulder. Izuku wasn’t a pretty crier by all means but Kacchan couldn’t care. Choked sobs, running noses and the sound of panicked breathing filled the room. All Katsuki could do was be there and hug him tighter than anytime during the day, or the day before that, or anytime. He needed to make Izuku know. 

 

“Izuku. You’re too rough on yourself. You’ve got this badass quirk that you’ve gained most control of within a year. You’re one of the prettiest people I’ve ever seen and anyone who disagrees can fuck off. I know I can’t force you to believe these things but please try too. I’m not good with words but you’re enough, I swear.” There comes the water works. They both accepted this reaction, Izuku needed to cry, Katsuki wanted him to get it out, they both knew and they both didn’t mind it. 

 

A few minutes pass and Izuku’s breathing has calmed. Katsuki has been drawing shapes on his back and playing with the green curls at the nape of Izuku’s neck that he always admired. Izuku was running off hours of lost sleep and hours spent training, studying, working his mind away and couldn’t help but fall asleep on Katsuki’s shoulder. 

 

They still had a lot to talk about. But that could wait. Izuku could breathe, he was relaxed. He knew he could let the guards down with Kacchan. So Katsuki laid down with Izuku. With smells of mint, cinnamon and fresh air, Katsuki fell asleep soon after. 

 

Maybe Katsuki couldn’t take the thoughts away. Maybe he could help Izuku breathe through them. Maybe one day Izuku’s self doubt will rest and Katsuki will be right beside him when it does. 




Notes:

thank you for reading
again this is rushed and I'll attempt to write something better once school gets out so YAYYAY anyways have a good day/night !
(I'm still new to writing so pls be nice ty ily bbg)

 

! I don't own any of these characters !