Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Stats:
Published:
2015-05-04
Updated:
2015-05-18
Words:
3,383
Chapters:
2/?
Comments:
8
Kudos:
126
Bookmarks:
7
Hits:
3,108

Killer Frost

Summary:

“Barry…” Joe’s strong arm comes around his shoulder, “She’s gone, Bar. She’s gone.”
“No, she’s not,” Barry snaps back. Caitlin couldn’t be dead. She wasn’t. She wouldn’t die on him. Not now, when he needed her most.
“There’s no pulse, Bar. There’s nothing you can do…”

Chapter Text

Time seems to move in slow motion for Caitlin. It’s as if she’s Barry–running so fast that the world moves slower and nearly fades from view around her. Her vision tunnels onto him as she knows exactly what she has to do.

The blast hits her squarely in the chest, so powerful that it sends her flying and so cold that it seems to burn. She would scream if she could, but she can’t seem to find her breath. She hears someone yelling her name and someone else laughing, but she can’t even distinguish voices anymore. The only thing she can feel is the pain in her chest as someone gingerly picks her up off the ground. It hurts–oh God it hurts. The burning in her chest seems to be spreading all across her body, a roaring, freezing fire that threatens to consume her all together.

She doesn’t regret it–not one bit. She knows very well that if she hadn’t, Barry would have been hit by that blast from Snart’s gun, and she would never, never forgive herself if he got hurt when she could have stopped it.

She hears his voice, talking to her, pleading with her, saying her name over and over again, but her voice doesn’t seem to want to work. She can only lie motionless in Barry’s arms as the frost from Snart’s gun slowly spreads across her body.

~~

“C–Cait, come on! Caitlin, just give me a sign that you’re awake!” Barry’s choking back sobs now as he pulls Caitlin’s motionless, cold body closer to his chest. “Cait…” he tries again. He takes her hand in one of his. “Please, please wake up, Caitlin. I need you to wake up for me. You can’t go now. I need you,” He can feel her heartbeat against his own chest–fluttering weakly, as if it were working too hard. Her body is so frozen that it nearly hurts just to touch her.

He leans forward, pressing her icy forehead to his, his hands behind her neck. “Cait. Cait, please wake up. Wake up for me.”

She doesn’t respond–he knew she wouldn’t.

“Bar?” Joe’s voice speaks from behind him, and his hand comes to rest on Barry’s shoulder. Barry ignores him, keeping all his focus on the small, broken girl in his arms. His hot tears splash onto her cold cheeks and he wonders vaguely if that could help warm her up. He feels Joe groping around for Caitlin’s wrist before looking for a pulse.

“Barry…” Joe’s strong arm comes around his shoulder, “She’s gone, Bar. She’s gone.”

“No, she’s not,” Barry snaps back. Caitlin couldn’t be dead. She wasn’t. She wouldn’t die on him. Not now, when he needed her most.

“There’s no pulse, Bar. There’s nothing you can do…”

He won’t believe it. There’ s no way Barry can believe that Caitlin Snow is dead. “We–we’ll take her back to STAR Labs!” he tries desperately.

Joe spreads his palms in a shrug, “And then what? The only person who could possible save Caitlin is…well, Caitlin.”

Barry can almost feel the lightbulb go off over his head, “Then we’ll get Caitlin. We’ll get her.”

Joe’s brow furrows as Barry rises, cradling her lifeless body in his arms. Barry looks at him, his face set, “I’m a time traveller, Joe. I can do this. I can get her back if we just…”

“No.” Joe shakes head, “Barry, you know how dangerous time travel can be! You could end up doing more harm than good, or–”

Barry’s suddenly angry at Joe. How dare he try to tell Barry what he should and shouldn’t do to save someone he loved. Barry knows very well that Joe would do anything so save the people he loved. “If it were me,” he spits, “If it were me or Iris that was…that was hurt” (he refuses to say the word dead. It sounds to final) “like this, wouldn’t you do anything that you could to save us?”

Joe hesitates, knowing the answer but not wanting to give it to him. “Wouldn’t you?” Barry demands again.

“Yes. Of course I’d do anything. I’d do anything to save the people I love, Barry, you know that.”

Barry looks down at Caitlin’s face, so smooth and perfect, as if she were just sleeping and he could wake her at any moment. “That’s why I have to save her. That’s why I have to try.”