Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 29 of My Bottom WKX Agenda | WenZhou AU's
Stats:
Published:
2022-02-20
Completed:
2022-02-25
Words:
38,818
Chapters:
2/2
Comments:
52
Kudos:
264
Bookmarks:
43
Hits:
4,154

To Love An Emperor

Summary:

Wen Kexing of the Ghost Valley Manor marries the Emperor, Zhou Zishu of the Four Seasons Kingdom, in order to unite the Martial Arts World with the Imperial World. The Four Seasons Kingdom will gain protection, the Ghost Valley Manor will gain better reputation.

There's a slight problem, though. Wen Kexing discovers a secret between the Emperor and his Personal Guard, Han Ying, and it creates a conflict within their already reluctant marriage.

---

A rewrite of an old fic but not exact? Like I changed it so a fic or a fic? Fic-ception

Notes:

It has been a long while yikes lol uh I really don't know what to say, I am very tired. It was a struggle to finish this tbh but I do miss writing. The Emperor and His Husband was one of my favorite fics that I had the most fun doing so I decided to come back to it and rewrite it and it just sorta became a whole what if situation lol.

Enjoy?

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Chapter 1: I Think I Want To Love You

Chapter Text

 

It isn't like it particularly means anything, at least - not in the way a traditional marriage of love should be handled. But arrange marriages - marriages of conveniences more like - are just as, if not more, common and highly practiced.

Feelings like love have no place in these arrangements.

Though it would have been nice.

Unfortunately, an alliance is more valued over one's own feelings and therefore a marriage of convenience has been placed - the union of the Emperor from the Four Seasons Kingdom and a highly valued member of the Ghost Valley Manor.

Essentially, a recipe for disaster according to Gu Xiang.

The Imperial Word and the Martial Arts Word tend to keep each other's at arms length - have done so for nearly a century now - so the union between these two respectable titles would be both bold but smart to strength outside ties. What a joyous idea! Said no one ever.

An awful idea, if anyone had chosen to ask Wen Kexing for his opinion.

Annoyingly enough, no one did.

Lady of the Ghost Valley Manor, Luo Fumeng, Wen Kexing's beloved aunt had been the one to approach this questionable arrangement to Wen Kexing one beautiful Winter morning.

The snow of pure white hugged the area of their home, a winter wonderland as the younger disciples made snowmen or threw snowballs at one another, running around in childish glee - wrapped in their warmest robes. Watching the entire scene was Wen Kexing and Liu Qianqiao, drinking a cup of hot tea and chattering senselessly in content.

Then she came, in all her red robed glory, hair as white as the snow that surrounded them, face as youthful as any newly turned thirty year old - graceful and elegant in her steps as she comes to a stop before the two cousins.

An offer - a marriage arrangement, either of the two would be the best candidate to be the one to unite the two worlds. Wen Kexing saw Liu Qianqiao lower her eyes in defeat, the slight slouching of her shoulders, a barely audible sigh leaving her pink lips - he decided to speak before she could.

Liu Qianqiao had goals - a whole dream. She wanted to be a priestess, and her training was so nearly complete. She had to maintain a purity in all body, mind and soul - she had worked so hard to get this far.

Wen Kexing couldn't allow her to give it all up, not like this - not if there was an alternative. Liu Qianqiao is older, yes, but only just barely. She may feel that she should be the one to carry this burden, but Wen Kexing refused to allow her to do so. He was not going to allow her to waste her potential future to be some spoiled Emperor's arm candy; to be just a pretty face - seen but not heard.

How dare that thought ever cross her mind!

"I'll do it," Wen Kexing had volunteered, before Liu Qianqiao could so much as get a word out.

He ignored her look of bafflement and when she tried to protest, threw a ball of snow at her to shut her up. She spluttered in outrage but Luo Fumeng had smiled and her eyes had thank him.

Luo Fumeng, though she loved them both, was the mother of Liu Qianqiao - adoptive, yes, but still she raised and cared for her. She seemed relieved that Liu Qianqiao could follow her dream, even if she also seemed regretful as she helped him pack for the trip to the capital. Her eyes were teary as she helped him get ready for his wedding, probably an improper thing for the Lady of the Manor to do such a thing - but Luo Fumeng was always one to do things unorthodox.

Gu Xiang, his martial sister and the second disciple now head disciple of the Ghost Valley Manor, was sent to spend a year with Wen Kexing during the first year of his marriage.

"Just to be cautious," Luo Fumeng said as she showed Gu Xiang how to properly pour tea without spilling anything, "If it's a trap or they go back on their word, at least A' Xing will not be alone to fight his way out."

"Yes, ma'am!" Gu Xiang nodded determinedly, trying to pour the tea herself.

Wen Kexing bursted out in laughter as Gu Xiang not only spilled the tea but also dropped the entire pot on the plate, shattering them both. The tea spilled all over her robes and the table and she whined at him to shut up and stop making fun of her.

"I'm doing this for you, you jerk!" She pounded with her fists at his shoulder, though her hits were light and playful and she too started to laugh.

Luo Fumeng had sighed, but she too could not stop the look of amusement as she shook her head.

Gu Xiang was a good fighter, but grace was far from her talents. Wen Kexing is glad that she would be the one to accompany him. Though he won't admit it out loud, Wen Kexing was nervous.

No one had ever prepared Wen Kexing for the royal life.

At least his soon to be husband wasn't ugly.


 

The sheet veil of vermillion hue fluttered delicately with the soft sigh Wen Kexing shakingly gave out.

Guided by his martial cousins from the Scorpion's Shadow Manor - Du Pusa and Qiao Luohan - Wen Kexing felt only just a bit at ease with them by his sides, feeling like an overly guarded royalty.

Technically, Wen Kexing was soon going to be of royal status (a thought that made him feel just a bit sick to the stomach over) but Wen Kexing was sure he could handle himself just fine should anything occur.

Still, that didn't mean Wen Kexing didn't appreciate Liu Qianqiao's show of concern as she was the one who asked her two sworn sisters to look after him during this entire wreck of a day. 

Who knew getting married would be so stressful?

"Your husband-to-be is a very attractive man," Du Pusa whispered very quietly, her voice reaching only Wen Kexing's ears - hopefully, "How lucky you are."

"So lucky," Wen Kexing dryly commented back in a low voice, sarcasm so thick he's surprised he hasn't choked on it.

With a squeeze from Qiao Luohan's hand, Wen Kexing came to a stop. Carefully, as if he were a flower that could fly away from the smallest blow of air, he was guided to sit down on a cushion on the floor - seated beside whom he assumes is his very soon to be husband - Emperor Zhou Zishu.

From there, everything becomes a blur. Too fast, too slowly too dull, too overwhelming, too much, not enough. It leaves Wen Kexing's head spinning, even when he can't even properly see behind this red sheer veil of complete ridiculousness. 

The weddings of the Imperial World seemed highly impractical, Wen Kexing noted. Why is the bride hindered from sight? Is she (or he, in his case) not allowed to enjoy the wedding ceremony at its fullest? Instead, subjected pitifully to being guided by the arm whenever they need to so much as walk somewhere? What a completely ridiculous, overcompensating sham of a wedding!

He wasn't even allowed to eat! What a cruel punishment! Is this a punishment? It sure felt like one!

Eventually, when all is said and done as the ceremony comes to an end - Wen Kexing is led out of the marriage hall by the Scorpion Shadow's Sect women. He thinks he knows exactly where he is going to next, and the idea of it leaves shivers down his spine.

The bed chambers. 

To consummate his marriage - make it official.

It leaves a weird churn in his stomach. It's not like Wen Kexing hasn't had sex before, it's just never had such an important role in his life before. But today, tonight - it'll mark as a start to his new life, a life Wen Kexing was not even excited to enter. Sex with a stranger is one thing, sex with a friend is another - sex with his husband sounded like a step in life he wasn't exactly ready to make.

"Thank you," Qiao Luohan spoke like a whisper in the wind, guiding Wen Kexing towards what he is assuming is the bed. He sits on the silk bedspread, trying to calm the panic arising in his chest, "For doing this. For making sure Qian-Qian could have her wish."

"That girl has a bright future ahead of her - her dream is so close within her grasp, how could I allow her to give it all up for this? There's nothing to thank me for, I just want my cousin to be happy," Wen Kexing easily answered, meaning every word. 

Liu Qianqiao had practiced hard every day and night since she was nine. Wen Kexing has seen this woman get right back up even when she fell or faltered just a bit, rising to her feet stronger than ever before. Even when she had briefly given up her dreams to pursue a man who was older and filthy in mind, body, and spirit - when he had used her and discarded her once the truth of his wife came to light. 

She healed and she moved forward, never looking back and only getting stronger.

Wen Kexing was not going to let her give that all up.

"It would have been a great loss to the Martial Arts World if QianQian did not chase her full potential," Wen Kexing finished, recalling Liu Qianqiao's teary goodbye as she helped him pack.

"The Martial Arts World is losing a great potential either way," Du Pusa remarked, just a bit snarky - her phoenix eyes showcasing her sister for this entire arrangement.

She had quite the words to say when they were traveling over to the capital, none too kind towards the Emperor and his ragtag of a royal court.

"You were one of - if not the - best fighter in the entirety of the Ghost Valley Manor. To see how much you've accomplished at your age and have it go to waste to play house for a spoiled man is a great shame as well!" Du Pusa added on. Though she kept face, her hands shook in clenched fists at her side, reminding Wen Kexing of her slightly younger age.

"We need this alliance," Wen Kexing tried to gently sooth the other girl. Her rage was burning brighter than any fire in her eyes, her red painted lips pulled down a bit - a far cry from her usual smirking mischief of a grin, "And I would rather it be me than any other."

"If you ever get into any trouble, the Scorpion's Shadow Manor will always have your back, Wen Kexing," Qiao Luohan interrupted, probably to also keep Du Pusa from exploding.

Her calm demeanour soothed Wen Kexing's nerves just a bit, the pat she gave to his head further giving some comfort. She was careful to not ruin the ornaments in his hair - how very thoughtful.

Wen Kexing bit his tongue to refrain from any sarcastic words escaping his usually loose-tongue mouth.

"Thank you, both." Whispered Wen Kexing instead, feeling a bit overwhelmed at their declaration. They were good woman, no wonder Liu Qianqiao was so fond of them and trusted them enough to watch over him in this important day, "Please check on A' Xiang for me. Stay with her for the night if you both can."

"Of course," Qiao Luohan agreed easily, nodding and placing a subtle hand on Du Pusa's back. Wen Kexing watched as she nudges Du Pusa to turn around with her, feeling slightly disconnected as they quietly left - walking further and further away, his only connection of home.

Soon, he was alone, just Wen Kexing in a silent bedroom unfamiliar to him, wearing robes of vermillion and gold accents, veil and hair ornaments weighing him down - feeling like a burden unable to be pushed off or brushed aside. Wen Kexing swore he could hear his heart pounding in his ears, like a drumbeat inescapable.

Wen Kexing isn't sure how long he is to wait or how long he has been waiting, sitting on the bed like some sort of doll - unable to, or more like, not allowed to remove the sight restricting veil. 

The sound of the bed chambers door opening and closing is enough to signal, however. Slow, careful yet unconcealed footsteps make their way towards Wen Kexing - unmasked and unbalanced, like the person walking had no idea how to distribute their weight evenly, leaving their steps to signal their presence. 

Wen Kexing is sorta unimpressed with that. He knew he was marrying a royal man and not a martial artist, but weren't these sort of people supposed to have some grace? How off-putting his steps sounded! Wen Kexing fought back the urge to cringe.

Luckily, the steps come to halt before him soon enough, so Wen Kexing does not have to endure the torture to his ears much longer. He hears a very slight, almost could be missed, sound of an inhale and then an exhale - like his husband had to mentally prepare himself to take off a stupid veil. Wen Kexing keeps hold on his impatience, even when shaking hands lightly touch his veil before finally - finally - removing the damn red sheer fabric slowly.

For the first time in literal hours, Wen Kexing is bombarded with a full vision - colors outside the red hue embraced his sight alongside the vision of his new husband.

And oh, what a vision he was.

His husband was well known to be a beautiful being, songs of the visage of the Emperor had spread around the kingdom and even outside of it's capital walls to reach the ears of the Martial Arts World since Wen Kexing was but a preteen earning how to throw his fan about.

The songs were right, his husband was breathtaking.

The face of a delicate aristocrat's, long dark hair pulled back into a topknot to expose the features clearly. With cutting cheekbones and a defined jaw, he had the same gentle but sharp looks like that of Qiao Luohan. Add on the smooth, pale skin like the finest Jade, unreadable peach blossom eyes, thin pink lips and arched brows - Wen Kexing swore his heart skipped a beat at the mere sight of the man.

Emperor Zhou Zishu made Wen Kexing feel inadequate to be in this Lord's presence, a strange thing since Wen Kexing had been praised for his own looks often growing up.

For a moment, Wen Kexing decided to play the part of a bashful, blushing bride - turning his gaze downwards as if though he were subconsciously avoiding eye contact and not consciously assessing the other man from behind long lashes of deceit. Masks were important, whether physical or metaphorical - it's best to downplay oneself during an unknown situation. If one can make an entire new persona to adapt, even better - pick a role and stick to it for as long as necessary. Make your target lower their guard around you and once they have - strike.

Wen Kexing probably shouldn't be thinking these sort of thoughts towards his husband, but then again - this is the first time he's ever been married, how can he know what is and isn't appropriate? Best to just stick to what he knows - even if it meant lying just a bit.

Just like every training course, Wen Kexing was determined to keep his two lives separated. Head Disciple of the Ghost Valley Manor and First Consort of Emperor Zhou should never crossover.

A smooth, un-calloused hands - free from the mark of labor - caressed Wen Kexing's cheek, prompting him away from his trail of thoughts 

"Husband?" Wen Kexing timidly asked, peering up to match his eyes with the Emperor's. He had to hold back the urge to gag at the sickly sweet voice he used, wanting nothing more than to scrunch his nose in distaste.

Unlike the Emperor's, Wen Kexing's hands are not soft, his back is scarred, and his knees are scrapped up. He has fallen so many times that his skin bares the scars behind the beautiful robes of silk, and he's not at all ashamed of their stories - whether silly or serious. 

As much as it's painted Wen Kexing to act this way, however, it was best to portray himself as nothing more than a harmless pretty face. It would not do well to be seen as threat by his husband, who looks like he'll be in a fright should Wen Kexing decide to throw hands any second.

This marriage alliance is still weak - two worlds separated for so long and coming together as one is a strange and almost unheard of act. Wen Kexing knows what the capital people think of his, savages he had heard their whispers during the marriage ceremony - barbarians with nothing better to do than shed blood and spread violence.

Wen Kexing hated all these spoiled, can't do anything themselves, people that cry the second something like their hair goes wrong for a brief moment. So entitled, Wen Kexing almost felt embarrassed that he had to marry the ruler of these people - who we as probably no better, always getting what he asks for, never experiencing a moment of hardship in his life.

"What a pretty thing you are," Zhou Zishu muttered, his surprisingly intense eyes scanning over Wen Kexing's face, eyebrows furrowed as if though he were in deep thought.

"My husband is much too kind," Wen Kexing gave a small smile, refraining from commenting that he was well aware of his own looks - took pride in his vanity even.

There was something a bit odd about his new husband. Emperor Zhou had complimented him yet, strangely, his words hold no warmth - as if though he is simply stating a mere matter-of-fact statement rather than giving a sweet assurance a compliment would normally hold. It's as if his husband had no qualms to truly call Wen Kexing pretty, no pro or con - just a fact stated, not even an honest opinion. 

It left something akin to bitterness grow in his heart.

Zhou Zishu, his dearest husband, obviously held no affection for him - whether in his words or his eyes, cold and distant. It's not like Wen Kexing cares much for him either, to be fair - but at least he was willing to pretend for the sake of both their people. Marriage of convenience is not based on love, but it is still expected that they hold some sort of place for the other in their hearts.

Zhou Zishu seemed determined to keep him at arms length, it seemed.

Said man looked reluctant, almost begrudged, as he starts to carefully bring his face closer to Wen Kexing's - as if seeking to embrace their lips but failing to have the guts to follow through and vanquish the space between the two of them.

Wen Kexing inwardly sighed, 'It seems like all the work must fall onto me.'

How annoying it was, Wen Kexing held back the urge to insult the other man - angling his head upwards to softly press his lips over his husband's, uncomfortable that he is sitting while the other still stands, looking over like an overgrown doll.

The air becomes tensed, silence eerie, and remarkably strained the second their lips touch. Wen Kexing closes his eyes to avoid staring at the wide ones of his spouse. Zhou Zishu is unresponsive, unmoving - almost not even breathing it seems.

Does he not know how to kiss? It's incredibly uncomfortable. Maybe he was a virgin, in both body and lips - were there laws stating that the Emperor could not participate in the pleasures of the body before marriage? It sounds ludicrous if so.

Wen Kexing breaks the kiss for a moment only to reconnect them once more, becoming increasingly awkward the more unchanging Zhou Zishu is. It's like kiss a slab of stone or marble, cold and hard, entirely uninviting. It feels as if though Wen Kexing is violating a stranger rather than kissing his new husband.

The mere thought alone sends shivers down his spine, feeling almost gross with it all. Wen Kexing resolutely separates their lips once more, not wanting to continue with a clearly uninterested man. Who cares if they don't consummate this damn marriage? Who would know? Who would truly care?

With his mind made up on giving up on the entire thing altogether, Wen Kexing gently pushed away Zhou Zishu with a light touch to the shoulders - not wanting to cause offense so early on while their marriage is still a frail little thing.

The opening of his eyes confirms what he had already known, Zhou Zishu is as tensed as a woman when harassed by a man trying to take her clothes off in the dead of night at some alleyway.

Wen Kexing paid no mind to Zhou Zishu, ignoring how cute the other man looked with his brows furrowed in confusion. Yes, indeed, he has married a good looking man. He also married a pretty incompetent one too, who had as much cowardice as a five year old child learning the blade for the first time.

"What are you doing?" Zhou Zishu asked, panic thick in his voice, peach blossom eyes wide.

Wen Kexing stops his task of removing his robes, tilting his head just a bit. It was pretty obvious what he was doing, surely this man knew common sense? Hopefully he didn't marry a man who was all looks and no brain. 

His outer robe falls off his shoulders and to the ground gracelessly as he answers easily, trying not to spook his strange spouse, "I am getting ready for bed," 

Zhou Zishu eyes his cautiously, distrust evident in his eyes, unbecoming of a husband to eye his spouse in such a manner - absolutely disrespectful, Wen Kexing would be humiliated if he truly cared for what the man thought of him. Zhou Zishu looks upon him as if though they are not married, but as if he is a brothel worker trying to seduce his virginity away.

"Bed?"

The second layer of extravagant robes fall, followed soon by a third layer, leaving Wen Kexing in only his white inner robes. It's a bit amusing to see Zhou Zishu flush a bit, pink dusting the high cheeks of his, his eyes respectfully kept locked onto Wen Kexing's own.

"If you do not wish to consummate this union," Wen Kexing starts nonchalantly, keeping his voice light as he sought to take out his hair accessories, "Then I wish to sleep. It's been a long day."

"I...," His poor husband appeared at a loss for words and Wen Kexing was almost tempted to take pity upon him before a fire lit in his peach blossom eyes, "Who said I didn't want to consummate this marriage!"

Words do not need to be said to understand some things. Wen Kexing sighed, shaking his head as he paid the sudden outburst no mind, taking the last of the hair ornaments out, allowing them to tumble to the ground carelessly by his discarded robes.

"My dear husband, let's rest," Wen Kexing gives a polite smile before making his way back on the bed, lifting the covers to slide underneath. 

It's only a minor challenge, easily ignored if his highness is not the competitive type. Wen Kexing is just a bit curious, wanting to know if Emperor Zhou is so easily baited. It's no harm, just a small experiment - just a test to see if this Zhou Zishu man will act. With his back to his new husband, Wen Kexing closes his eyes and evens out his breathing in a show of relaxing into bed.

For a moment, Wen Kexing thinks Zhou Zishu won't take the bait. It's far too quiet, so quiet that his breathing sounds a bit too loud - Wen Kexing thinks he can hear Zhou Zishu's brain trying to work out what had just happened. It's not everyday someone calls out the Emperor, after all.

Then the sweet sound of clothes rustling echos before the covers that Wen Kexing lays under is lifted just a bit and a warm body slides in besides his own. Wen Kexing can't stop the small smirk, though luckily he manages to hold back a snort.

So Zhou Zishu does have some guts, it seems.

"It's not that I don't want to consummate our marriage," Zhou Zishu lied so prettily, Wen Kexing kind of appreciates the effort. There's a light touch to Wen Kexing's shoulder, warm and gentle - but still tensed and awkward. He gives himself away so easily, Wen Kexing is sort of disappointed briefly, "Everything is happening so fast, I just need a moment to breathe is all."

Wen Kexing doesn't respond, what can he even say in a situation like this? How much can he say - how honest can he be - to the man that is now his husband but still the Emperor? Does he switch out the role and fill in another? Or does he continue with what he has been doing this whole time?

It's with these thoughts that roam his mind when Zhou Zishu nudges his back, until he is laying on his back with the beautiful man hovering over him. He's breathtaking, incredibly so, and Wen Kexing is annoyed when his heart decides to do a weird clenching in his chest. Wen Kexing has slept with plentiful of beautiful men before, why should this one be any different?

Those men weren't his husband, Wen Kexing swallowed, blinking up at the older man, Those men he never had to see again.

How silly he feels when his cheeks feel startlingly warm, just because his stupidly pretty husband decides to smile down at him, appearing stupidly soft. His breath hitched just a bit, not entirely voluntarily, and Wen Kexing swore he hard his heart beating loudly in his chest when Zhou Zishu's eyes twinkled with a bit of mischief, "It certainly doesn't help that my husband is very beautiful."

Wen Kexing flustered, wondering when in the hell he had turned into a teenage girl who had her crush smile at her for the first time. Zhou Zishu's words had not seemed like a lie - or maybe he was just deluding himself. Whatever it was, Wen Kexing felt something akin to thrill run down his spine.

The smile on Zhou Zishu's face became strained, a slight filling of his eyes, and it stung just a bit to witness it all take place. Was he truly so intolerable?  Wen Kexing wasn't allowed much of his musing before Zhou Zishu lightly pressed his lips against his own, a feather-like brush that left Wen Kexing feeling a bit wanting.

How cruel, to kiss so reluctantly, like a chore ready to be finished.

With that thought in mind, Wen Kexing took ahold of Zhou Zishu's face within his hands - bringing him closer, making the kiss more firmer. Wen Kexing could feel Zhou Zishu's breath stutter, tensing as if being attacked.

Slowly but surely, Zhou Zishu relaxed. Like a hissing cat cautiously accepting a pat. Their lips finally moved languidly against one another, a pleasant sensation sinking into Wen Kexing's bones. He shifted his legs, allowing them to spread to allow Zhou Zishu to settle more comfortably between them. 

Zhou Zishu did just that, pressing up against Wen Kexing, his noticable arousal now pushing against his own. Wen Kexing couldn't help the moan that escaped, shifting one of his legs up to wrap around Zhou Zishu's side. The man stilled, tensing once more, before moving back - their lips disconnecting. A whimper fell unwillingly from Wen Kexing, upset over the loss of warmth against his lips.

Withholding a sigh, Wen Kexing opened his eyes, greeted by the sight of Zhou Zishu - staring at him like he were an anomaly, his facial expression annoyingly unreadable, lips pursed as if thinking too hard for his own good.

It was a bit concerning.

"Husband?" Wen Kexing breathlessly asked, actively trying to keep up with the docile mask that threatened to break any moment.

It was hard being what he wasn't - some frail, delicate thing that was supposed to be only a pretty face. Wen Kexing was a bit bitter that it was expected of him to no longer actively combat in Martial Arts. He spent years training, only for it to be all for nothing.

Zhou Zishu's face twisted as if displeased, a wrinkle of the nose. Before Wen Kexing could question what the problem was, he was promptly kissed once more. This time it was far from light, a bit harsh, and a tongue had shoved it's way into his mouth. A noise of surprise escaped Wen Kexing at the sudden invasion, gasping and groaning when the Emperor opted to grind his pelvic down against him.

At least his husband found him sexually attractive - this was obvious - and flattering too, stroked his ego quite a bit, knowing that not even the famed Emperor himself found him irresistible. Wen Kexing groaned when Zhou Zishu continued his rolling of the hips, pressing their clothes lengths close, their mouths parting when a particular hard thrust had Wen Kexing cry out.

Zhou Zishu stilled, panting heavily, and Wen Kexing was grateful for the delay, trying to catch his wits lest being completely lost in pleasure threatened to spiral out of control. When Zhou Zishu started to pull away, Wen Kexing felt embarrassed over the small whine that escaped. To think that he would do such a thing over a man whose bed he is warming solely so that his cousin will not have to - ridiculous!

A sweet kiss to Wen Kexing's throat, followed by two more, eased him enough to begrudging allow Zhou Zishu to move away again without any protest this time. Imagine his surprise when Zhou Zishu actually reached and obtained the plastic container - which no doubt held oil - that was left on the bedside table.

Sure, Wen Kexing had thought that Zhou Zishu was willing to go for a dry rutting until orgasm or even a handjob or quick work of the mouth, but he hasn't anticipated that Zhou Zishu would actually - willing - go through with full on intercourse.

No offense to the Emperor, but Wen Kexing doubted the man's ability to do so considering his earlier act of reluctance.

Or maybe he actually won't do it, Wen Kexing notes, when Zhou Zishu turned his attention back towards Wen Kexing and froze. It took everything in his power to hold back a sigh, giving what he hoped appeared as a patient smile before sitting up, feeling incredibly inwardly impatient.

While Wen Kexing would like to enjoy the act of consummating a marriage, this whole back and forth, hot and cold, act that Zhou Zishu has was trying his already little patience greatly. He wanted to finish this consummation ten minutes ago.

If he was going to be a married man, Wen Kexing could at least get some action out of the humiliation of being reduced to nothing more than eye candy to the royal court, displayed for all to see. This marriage was already loveless as it is, Wen Kexing hoped he wasn't supposed to expect becoming touch-starved either.

"Dear husband," Wen Kexing cooed, grabbing the ties of Zhou Zishu's inner robes, tugging them to draw the man closer before undoing the holds. 

He continued his task with a single goal in mind, holding back the urge to smirk when Zhou Zishu audibly sucked in a breath. He tucked his fingers into the top of Zhou Zishu's pants and promptly nudged them down. Wen Kexing held back the urge to laugh when Zhou Zishu cleared his throat, obviously uncomfortable. 

Wen Kexing held back the urge to raise a brow, looking at the partially hard erection of his husband. Strange. Normally, the men he would previously bed would be fully turned on by now. It's obvious that Zhou Zishu finds him at least physically attractive, so what's holding him back?

"Husband," Zhou Zishu swallowed, sounding uncertain, and Wen Kexing decided to simply ignore him. If Zhou Zishu wanted him to stop, he could simply say so or push him away. Taking initiative, Wen Kexing leaned forward, placing a soft kiss to the head of his new husband's cock.

A hiss escaped the emperor, a tension coming to the man's body, and it worried Wen Kexing just a bit. Was he perhaps a virgin? It would explain his hesitation. Wen Kexing placed another kiss and then another, on the fourth kiss he slipped his tongue out to drag it across the tip.

His husband was a panting mess by now, his hands upon Wen Kexing's shoulders strangely - like he couldn't decide if he wanted to shove Wen Kexing's face down or push him far away. It made Wen Kexing feel weird - like he was pushing a matter that for some reason, won't be denied. Wanting the emperor to not feel so shy, Wen Kexing flicked his tongue over the slit again before engulfing the whole head - sucking as much as he knew would bring forth pleasure.

"Hahhh... hus---ahhhh---husband....haaaa--ahhh..." Zhou Zishu gripped his shoulders tightly when Wen Kexing hummed in acknowledgment, hallowing his cheeks, and brought his head downwards until his dick had reached all the way to the back of Wen Kexing's throat.

Then Wen Kexing swallowed.

Zhou Zishu cried out, thrusting his hips outwards, pushing his cock more into Wen Kexing as far as it could go. Wen Kexing held back the urge to gag, forcing his throat to relax, swallowing again and again until Zhou Zishu was all but throbbing in his mouth, precum leaking. It was strange to be able to feel it run down, so warm it could be recalled so vividly. 

Eventually, Wen Kexing had to pull back to breathe, panting heavily, his hands taking over to rub at Zhou Zishu's cock. Zhou Zishu groaned in protest at first, but accepted the change nonetheless, leaning down to capture Wen Kexing's lips once more.

It was a surprise, to say the least, when the man initiated the kiss, but welcomed nonetheless. Wen Kexing welcomed the kiss easily, nipping at his bottom lip, sucking on his tongue. Zhou Zishu made a sweet noise at the back of his throat, moving Wen Kexing until he was laying back against the bed, his husband hovering over him. 

Wen Kexing kissed and kissed Zhou Zishu, slipping his free hand that wasn't jerking Zhou Zishu off to snatch the vial of oil his husband had still kept within his grasp. He broke their kiss off to push Zhou Zishu away slightly, his husband looked so ravished, Wen Kexing couldn't stop himself from switching their positions around. It took everything in him to not laugh when Zhou Zishu made a noise of surprise, blinking as his eyes cleared with sudden move.

"H-how...?" Zhou Zishu's eyebrows furrowed and Wen Kexing halted his hands movements as he couldn't stop the small giggle that escaped.

"My husband is a capable man, of many talents I'm sure," Wen Kexing teased, placing the vial of oil down on Zhou Zishu's chest, "I hope my husband realizes that this lowly one, too, has a few tricks up his sleeve."

Wen Kexing slowly untied his inner robe.

"Is that so?" Zhou Zishu breathed out, seemingly unable to tear his eyes away as the many robes fell from Wen Kexing's shoulders to pool around his waist, like a sea of ivory waves.

Wen Kexing inwardly preened, always just a bit too vain for his own good.

"Of course, dear," Wen Kexing muttered softly as he leaned down, pressing a much more tender kiss against Zhou Zishu's lips. He could feel the man shudder beneath him, feeling hands cautiously place themselves upon his clothed thighs.

Kissing Zhou Zishu felt nice, sweet even if he wanted to be a bit sappy over it. Maybe it was the knowledge that it was a husband who he was kissing, someone who Wen Kexing will definitely see when he awakens the next day and the next following days for the rest of their lives. 

This was the last person he was ever going to kiss, Wen Kexing hummed, feeling a bit flustered over the ridiculous thought, pulling back to grab the vial of oil once more. 

Wen Kexing carefully got off of Zhou Zishu, moving to stand up from the bed. Zhou Zishu slowly sat up as he did, looking confused over the entire action.

"Is something the matter?" Zhou Zishu asked, looking so sweetly confused, Wen Kexing wanted to devour him whole.

Wen Kexing smiled, placing the vial of oil down on the bedside table before completely removing his inner robe and untying his pants to get them off. Zhou Zishu's breath hitched audibly, and his eyes widened too, appearing so cute in his surprise.

Surely the man had expected this to happen soon, right? 

His pants fell easily and Wen Kexing stepped out of them, placing his knee on the bed to lean down towards Zhou Zishu, picking up the vial of oil as he did so and offering it to his new husband.

"Will you do the honors or will I, dear husband?" Wen Kexing smiled coyly, leaning closer to gently touch Zhou Zishu's lips upon his own once more. He doesn't think he'll ever tire from kissing this emperor.

"Lay down on your stomach," Zhou Zishu urged, though his hand hesitated just a bit when he went to grab the vial of oil from Wen Kexing, "It will be easier to prepare you that way."

Wen Kexing decided to humor the man then to tell him that he wasn't a virgin. 

"Of course," Wen Kexing agreed, pulling away to climb over Zhou Zishu, until he was in the empty space beside his husband, complying to orders of laying upon his stomach.

He felt feather-light caresses of fingers running patterns down his back, slowly making their way down to his backside. Soft lips kissed tenderly on the center of his back, trailing down slowly as the fingers disappeared briefly - the sound of the vial twisting open echoing in a room where only their breathing could be heard - before reappearing probing curiously at his hole wetly.

"Husband," Wen Kexing sighed out, and the finger stilled for a moment before slowly pressing at his entrance, ever so carefully entering him.

It was always uncomfortable for Wen Kexing to take just one finger inside of himself, intruding without offering much satisfaction. Still, it wasn't the worst feeling, and Wen Kexing sighed once more when another kiss placed itself upon his upper shoulder.

"Are you okay?" Zhou Zishu whispered, his free hand moving all of Wen Kexing's hair to the right side before placing a kiss upon his left shoulder.

"I'm fine, dear husband," Wen Kexing answered back quietly, feeling if he spoke any louder, it would ruin the moment.

"Stop me if I hurt you," Zhou Zishu requested, the finger moving back before thrusting back in gently - so careful - so cautious, like the man was scared to cause him any pain or discomfort.

It warmed Wen Kexing's heart a bit at the mere thought of this man caring enough to ask him.

"Of course," Wen Kexing agreed, closing his eyes and allowing small, quiet moans to leave him when a second finger soon joined, both continuing their snail-like but efficient pace. 

Zhou Zishu kept pressing kissing to any inch of skin on Wen Kexing he could, the fingers caressing his inner walls throughout it all. He thrusted them in and out, pulling them back - he would scissor them out - before pushing back in with the two fingers closing. It was almost soothing, the sparks of pleasure were not too much, almost like getting a massage.

That is, until Zhou Zishu pressed into a certain spot that had Wen Kexing cry out at the sudden burst of pleasure, jerking a bit at the disturbance of the peace. Zhou Zishu immediately paused.

"Are you okay?" Zhou Zishu immediately asked, sounding almost panicked, and Wen Kexing thought it sweet when he managed to clear his head from the sudden assault of pleasure.

"I-...," Wen Kexing cleared his throat, whimpering just a bit. Now that he has felt that burst of pleasure, he wanted more of it, "I'm good, I'm fine. It felt - that felt good. Can you... do that again?"

By the gods did it feel weird to request such a thing, his cheeks and ears feeling stupidly warm. Normally, Wen Kexing didn't get embarrassed so easily, especially when it came to seeking out pleasure. However, despite this being his husband - this was still the emperor. 

"Oh, oh," Zhou Zishu seemed to understand what had happened and was kind enough to spare him the humiliation of explaining further by continuing his fingering once more.

Wen Kexing groaned, burying his face in his pillow when Zhou Zishu entered a third finger, quickening his fingers just a little bit, and finding his prostate much quicker. A loud, stuttering gasp escaped Wen Kexing, shuddering as pleasure ignited in his bones, the kisses that were being placed on his back became just a little more biting.

"Husband... please," Wen Kexing begged, after ten more minutes of his prostate being pressed and probed insistently, "Please... ahhhh... pl-please..."

Zhou Zishu muttered a soft curse, something Wen Kexing would have laughed at if pleasure hadn't fogged his brain up.

The fingers soon disappeared and even though he had asked for it, Wen Kexing whined almost pitifully. Zhou Zishu softly hushed him, pressing a kiss to the side his head lightly. It eased Wen Kexing almost hilariously instantly, becoming strangely enamored at the action.

"I need you to stand up a bit on your knees," Zhou Zishu requested quietly, pressing another kiss to Wen Kexing's head, nudging Wen Kexing up with a finger to his hip, "Just to make it easier for you."

Wen Kexing followed the request quickly, wanting the man to get inside of him already, itching to feel filled. Zhou Zishu gave him a whispered praise that had Wen Kexing feel flustered over, like a teen girl being called pretty by her crush.

How ridiculous!

He has killed people before, has watch the lives of those that dare try to attack his home or it's residence flee from frightened eyes, has crushed a man's throat with his bare hand, dug out the eyes of actual assassin's daring to find out his sect's secrets.

And here he is, like a blushing bride, moaning like a wanting whore when Zhou Zishu pressed his cock to his entrance, pushing in slowly yet so carefully - so gently - inside of Wen Kexing like he were made of porcelain glass.

Wen Kexing almost sobbed at how kind Zhou Zishu was being. No man he had been with was like this before - treating him like he were worth more than any gold, more than a simple one night stand, more than a body for pleasure. It felt too good to be real. 

He'll admit, this marriage started off as something akin to a scam, but Wen Kexing won't lie and say he doesn't feel just a tad bit of hope that maybe - just maybe - it could actually work out.

That this loveless marriage could be more.

"You're crying?" Zhou Zishu pulled out, Wen Kexing wincing at the abrupt emptiness, and didn't really bother to fight back when Zhou Zishu maneuvered him to turn around.

Wen Kexing reached a hand up to touch under his eye, surprised when it came back wet. A sob escaped followed by a weak, wet laugh. He hadn't realized that he had been crying.

"I-I'm sorry, I don't know what got into me," Wen Kexing hastily tried to run the tears away, feeling incredibly ridiculous. What a way to ruin the moment!

"I didn't hurt you did I?" Zhou Zishu's brows furrowed cutely, looking like an angel with how much concern was thick in his gaze. His hands gently brushed Wen Kexing's own away before thumbing away his tears, his touch so tender.

"No, no, you didn't," Wen Kexing reassured, catching Zhou Zishu's hands within his own, "It's not that, just - ah, you're so kind to me, how can I not get emotional? I know, silly of me to cry over having such a considerate husband. I'm so blessed."

The words rang true, too, embarrassingly enough. Who would have thought feelings could be so complicated? At first, he had this man for ruining his life and now he's all but melted at the emperor's touch. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

Zhou Zishu must think he is, for a strange, unreadable look entered his pretty eyes. But as quickly as it came, it left, and the man's face softened so lovely before the emperor decided to place a soft kiss upon Wen Kexing's lips, lingering a bit before moving back.

Zhou Zishu's small smile was breathtaking.

"What a silly wife I have gained," Zhou Zishu teased, with no malice or actual mockery in his statement, his thumb caressing Wen Kexing's cheek reassuringly.

"Don't tease your foolish wife," Wen Kexing pouted, feeling giddy, "It's your fault I'm emotional right now, take responsibility!"

Zhou Zishu snorted, any sign of his earlier tension seemingly gone. Zhou Zishu nudged him to lay down on his back lightly, Wen Kexing immediately doing so, before placing another kiss to his jaw this time.

"This husband will take special care of his wife," Zhou Zishu agreed, laying between Wen Kexing's legs like he belonged there.

Wen Kexing surged forward to connect their lips, sighing happily when Zhou Zishu immediately responded. Whatever had plagued his mind during their first kiss has long since been forgotten now, this Wen Kexing was sure of, as Zhou Zishu's cock nudged at his entrance for a moment before pushing back in once more.

"I leave myself in your hands," Wen Kexing muttered, eyes closed as Zhou Zishu thrusted in and out in a slow but steady pace. Wen Kexing clung to Zhou Zishu, trembling as Zhou Zishu seemingly worshiped him, painfully tender. 

"This one will take good care of his wife."


 

Wen Kexing awakens to the light caressing of fingers running across his cheek, light so touch it would have been missed had he been a light sleeper. 

It took Wen Kexing a minute to recall just where he was at with who it most likely was that decided to disturb his slumber. He stayed quiet, pretending to still be asleep, basking in the soft comfort of Zhou Zishu seemingly admiring him as he slept.

Wen Kexing still wasn't quite sure on how he now felt about the man. He wanted to hate his guts, despise him for essentially being the indirect cause of his future dreams coming to a halt. But then again, while he had expected a man that was arrogant and maybe even cruel, Zhou Zishu had been so sweet last night with him. He had touched him with so much care and spoke to him the entire time with reassurances and praises, touched his body like an instrument worth practicing, and kissed him like he was worth everything in the world.

Wen Kexing would be lying if he said he wasn't just a bit enamored over it all.

He allowed himself to be lulled back to sleep, the soothing caresses easing him back into the sweet embrace of slumber.

The second time Wen Kexing had awoken, it was from the feeling of the arms that had circled around his waist slowly and carefully untangling themselves from him, the body that was pressed up against his back now moving away cautiously, like Zhou Zishu didn't want to wake him.

Wen Kexing decided to make it known that he had by faking a tired groan and turning towards his husband, sitting up and rubbing his eyes for show. 

"Dear husband?" Wen Kexing fake yawned, blinking as if to fight away sleep. 

Zhou Zishu froze as if caught, looking partially guilty, his inner robe already pulled half on, "I didn't mean to wake you. It's still too early, you should get more rest before we start our day."

Wen Kexing would be lying if he said his heart didn't feel so stupidly warm at the emperor's words, giving a small smile in thanks. Zhou Zishu's eyes lingered on his smile for a second, his strange expression softening, before he went to kneel on the bed to press a light kiss to Wen Kexing's forehead. How ridiculous he felt, all excited and giddy over such a small action. Maybe the marriage could actually work out.

"Go back to sleep," Zhou Zishu leaned down to press the next kiss to Wen Kexing's lips, "I have something else I need to take care of but you have at least three more hours of rest before breakfast."

"My husband is so kind," Wen Kexing smiled brightly, almost faltering when Zhou Zishu averted his gaze.

"My wife is so trusting," Zhou Zishu seemed to almost scold him, something that confused Wen Kexing just a bit.

"We're married, should I not trust my husband?" Wen Kexing questioned suspiciously, raising a brow and leaning back just a bit, away from the emperor. When Zhou Zishu says things like that, it makes him second guess the possibility of the marriage working out.

"Of course you can," Zhou Zishu reassured, turning his gaze back on Wen Kexing, giving a strange smile his way, weakly teasing, "I promised to take good care of my wife, did I not?"

Wen Kexing eyed the other man for a bit, but a kiss placed to his temple shamefully had him melt and give in, accepting the tease for what it's worth. He smiled, deciding to let it go, nodding before laying back down.

"I guess it wouldn't be so bad to rest a little longer," Wen Kexing agreed.

Zhou Zishu looked a tad bit relieved, something he'll store away for later, before running a hand through Wen Kexing's hair. He picked up a lock and pressed an endearing kiss to the silver strands before allowing the hair to fall like silk from his grasp.

"Rest well."

Wen Kexing closes his eyes, listening to the sounds of Zhou Zishu finishing getting dressed. It's not too long before the doors of their now shared bedroom opens and the room is filled with complete silence.

He slumbers once more.

The final time he awakens, it's with the abrupt bouncing of his bed as a silly Gu Xiang had decided to jump on it. The young woman whined as Wen Kexing pinched her ear, scolding her for acting so improper.

"You never minded before!" Gu Xiang huffs, rubbing at her now free ear with a childish pout.

She always had a way to warm his heart.

"That was when we were at the Ghost Valley Manor," Wen Kexing sighed, tapping the girl on the head with two fingers, "You are now supposed to be under the guise of a servant for at least a year. A servant does not act in such a manner, silly girl. Look at how the other girl servants conduct themselves here."

Gu Xiang wrinkled her nose in distaste, "That's stupid. It's not like anyone is here anyways, just you."

Wen Kexing sighed, though he couldn't help smile, "Just be careful."

"Come, come, come," Gu Xiang insisted, catching Wen Kexing's arm in her hold and trying to drag him out of bed. 

Wen Kexing followed easily with a sigh, grateful that he had the mind to at least put on an inner robe when they had finished their consummation last night. 

"I picked these robes out for you," Gu Xiang eagerly brought him over to the vanity, releasing his arm in favor of holding the purple robes she had picked up to him with a proud smile, "Pretty robes for a pretty man. No one will suspect you're basically a threat to all their pitiful lives! That way, if things go south, they'll regret underestimating - ow! Ow! Ow!"

Wen Kexing released her ear once more, Gu Xiang glaring at him accusingly.

"What was that for!?" Gu Xiang complained.

"A' Xiang, you act like all you can do is fight," Wen Kexing scolded, shaking his head, "How will you ever marry if you continue to act like a complete animal?"

"Who wants to marry?" Gu Xiang stuck her nose in air with an air of arrogance, "What a stupid fate to resign oneself to!"

Wen Kexing snorted, taking the robes from her hands. He placed the outermost robe back in her grasp so that he may slide on the second robe first - a light purple - before tying it easily, "Just be sure to act like an actual maid when we are in public. With manners and some face."

Gu Xiang rolled her eyes exaggeratedly, handing him his outermost robe - two shades darker of a purple than the first, "Master, I am but a lowly maid from a poor background, please accept this humble one's apology."

Wen Kexing huffed out a laugh as she helped put the final robe on him, tying it all together with a light purple belt, "You are a troublesome little girl, with an attitude as fierce as a feline thrown in a bath."

Gu Xiang stuck her tongue out at Wen Kexing as she finished up smoothing his robes out. Wen Kexing laughed at her, pinching her ear when he saw the chance once more 

"Ge," Gu Xiang calmed down, sobering from her childish act to appear more forlorn, "Must you stay married to this man? He didn't even bother to wake you. He left you all alone in this room."

What a silly girl.

Wen Kexing sighed, patting her hair gently, "He did wake me, you nosy little girl, but it was much earlier. We agreed that while he had errands to do, I could rest some more before breakfast. But even if he hadn't, we are simply married, not in love. Do well to remember this, A' Xiang. A loveless marriage is a fate I dare not wish upon you."

Maybe he felt just a bit too fond a bit too fast, he had no actual reason to defend his new husband after all, but the man was at least somewhat considerate towards him. It wasn't live, but Wen Kexing can imagine it be in the next few years if the marriage alliance worked out.

That being said, Wen Kexing wasn't going to get his hopes up and neither did his words seem to make Gu Xiang feel any better. The girl in purple wrapped her small arms around Wen Kexing'm, burying her face into his chest. Wen Kexing held her back instantly, rubbing soothing circles to her upper back.

"Let me do your braids," Wen Kexing told Gu Xiang after a moment, trying to lighten the mood, "You were always awful at doing your hair by yourself."

Gu Xiang gave a watery laugh, pulling away to nod and wipe away unshed tears from the corner of her eyes. She beamed up happily at him, determined to be strong in front of him. She always made his heart soft 

Yes, Wen Kexing would make sure she never shared his fate.


 

"My husband appears so handsome today," Wen Kexing greeted, in all his purple robes glory, Gu Xiang following not far behind with her own matching purple ones on.

He didn't know if she intentionally meant to dress them in similar colors, but if she had - it wouldn't be too much of a surprise. She probably wanted to seem united. Despite the fact that she was a maid, she was still and foremost someone who had arrived with him from the Ghost Valley Manor - they were still foreigners in this strange kingdom. All they had, truly, was each other.

Wen Kexing always had the nasty habit of indulging her 

They had gotten looks in their passing to the dining hall, but no one said anything. It would be in their best interest if they never did. Speaking of looks, his husband froze for a second. He seemed unable to look away from Wen Kexing for a solid minute and when he did, it was take a glance between him and Gu Xiang with a curious brow raised.

Wen Kexing refrained from answering the unspoken question to take note of the man that he has never seen before, sitting beside Zhou Zishu.

He's attractive, Wen Kexing noted, though in an average sort of way. Wen Kexing didn't think he would take a second glance at this man if they were to have met in any other circumstance. The man's skin was just a bit more than than theirs - displaying the possibility that he worked outside quite a bit. The only reason Wen Kexing's own skin is so pale is because there isn't much sun where the Ghost Valley Manor resides, mostly cloudy skies. That wasn't the case in this kingdom, the sun smiled far too brightly.

Just like all the other men that Wen Kexing had seen in this kingdom, the man wore his hair in tied up topknot, not even a single strand left down. All tightly bound, Wen Kexing wondered if the men here were as strung up as they appeared with such a hairstyle.

His own was kept how he always would have it, half of the white locks down with the other half pulled up, pinned by a white jade hairpin, two front locks of shorter strands framing his face delicately. Wen Kexing had seen some people glance towards his hair this morning as well, as subtle as they tried to be, but whether it was because of the color or the style (probably even both) Wen Kexing was not too sure of.

Oh well, not much can be done now. Wen Kexing was not going to change his hair for the sake of strangers' opinions.

"Who might this be?" Wen Kexing prompted politely, taking a seat from the chair Gu Xiang had pulled out for him, across from his husband. Said girl fussed over him, making sure his place and chopsticks were set."

The man perked up, giving a polite smile of his own back, "This one is Han Ying, Your Highness. I am His Majesty's personal guard."

Personal guard? Wen Kexing didn't know the emperor had just one specific guard. Well, it would not do well to offend the man, he could be like how Gu Xiang is to himself. A dear friend.

Wen Kexing gave a kind smile, "A pleasure to meet you, Han Ying."

Zhou Zishu gave an almost awkward smile, glancing strangely between Wen Kexing and Han Ying. He seemed far too tense, a far cry from his earlier demeanor in the privacy of their bedroom.

How curious.

"How was your rest?" Zhou Zishu asked sincerely, "When I left, you looked so at peace. I felt rather bad for waking you so early."

There was something about his words that seemed odd, but Wen Kexing brushed it aside to tease out, "It was quite well, my husband is so kind to this one, so considerate."

Unlike before, Zhou Zishu's smile did not soften. No, if anything, he seemed to grow even more tense, giving a stiff nod. Beside Zhou Zishu, Han Ying had lost his polite smile and was seemingly avoiding looking at Wen Kexing and Zhou Zishu too - appearing just as uncomfortable.

It was - concerning, and slightly suspicious.

Wen Kexing cleared his throat, feeling out of place and even a little embarrassed, before turning his attention to someone who he knew he would feel comfortable talking to.

"Makes sure you find a husband just as kind and considerate as mine," Wen Kexing taunted Gu Xiang with a fond smile. The girl huffed as she sat next to him, serving him food on his plate with no grace of an actual servant. It was very funny seeing her try, though.

"Who needs a husband? He will only be a nuisance!" Gu Xiang declared, very much unlike a maid would but Wen Kexing did not dare to stop her. Aunt Luo always finds it silly how he would never actually get mad at her.

"A wild child, much like you," Aunt Luo had sighed, shaking her head, "Of course she would pick up your habits."

Wen Kexing tsked, shaking his head with an amused smile, slipping his fan out from his sleeve. He snapped it open and brought it up to hide the smile, though from Gu Xiang's grin, he knew he was a bit too late on that.

"You don't plan on staying with me forever, do you?" Wen Kexing lightly scolded, "You must wed some day, start a family of your own, not cling to me like a child unable to release their security blanket."

Gu Xiang rolled her eyes, like she had heard this conversation before. If course had, Wen Kexing and Liu Qianqiao had often told her similar things. Still, she always shook her head, "I don't need to make a stupid family with a dumb, useless man who can't even take care of himself! I'm perfectly fine just staying with you."

Wen Kexing couldn't stop the small chuckle of mirth, his little girl in purple smiling brightly at the sound.

"Young lady," Han Ying interrupted their banter, as if personally offended, eyes wide with shock, "You are to mind your words, how can you speak so crudely?"

"Who are you to tell her what to say?" Wen Kexing snapped his fan shut, offended on her behalf at the man's sudden need to shove his way into their conversation, "She is my maid, not yours or any others, I allow her to talk as she pleases without fear of punishment. How dare you try to disregard how I decide my servants can act?"

"He is not wrong," Zhou Zishu interfered, much to Wen Kexing's immediate offense. He felt like the two were ganging up on him, looking down upon him, "Your maid is ill-mannered, she should not be allowed to ---"

"To what? Use her voice?" Wen Kexing interrupted, feeling just a bit betrayed over his husband choosing his guard side over his own. He stood up, brimming with anger. He had practically raised this girl, he will not take criticism for how he decided to parent her, "You forget we are from two different places, Your Majesty. I don't know how you treat your servants here, but I will not have mine be some dull-minded yes sir and as you wish sir brain-dead stranger. She is my people before you two. I'd rather you both be silenced than her."

Wen Kexing gave a sigh of annoyance when all his husband and his husband's guard could do was look at him with matching looks of astonishment. 

"A' Xiang, take the plate," Wen Kexing reopened his fan, the snapping of it angry, "I do not wish to eat here."

"Yes, Master," Gu Xiang did as told, her stance solemn and her eyes averted like she had taken a lashing.

It angered Wen Kexing even more to see her look so defeated. He changed his mind, he doesn't think this marriage could work. How foolish of him to think that.

Wen Kexing hated it here.

How dare they try to silence her.


 

Wen Kexing doesn't see or hear from Zhou Zishu again until it's already the end of the day. 

He removed his outer robes carelessly, folding them clumsily before throwing them on the center table with a sigh after Gu Xiang had taken her leave. He enjoyed his time with her - often enjoys her company in general - but it's late, the day has ended, and Gu Xiang is returning their plates from breakfast, lunch and dinner to the kitchen. They had spent the whole day in his new shared bedroom, locked so that no one but they could enter or leave.

Now that she is gone, the doors kept unlock, Wen Kexing suspects his husband will arrive soon. How annoying, to be reminded that he will have to talk to the man that would treat him as an enemy - that would not have his back. Marriage, what a scam! It meant nothing at all. Wen Kexing should have known better than to think that he was anything but a pretty face, supposed to keep quiet as he stood by his husband's side, seen and not heard. 

At least Gu Xiang made the rest of the day better. They spent most of it reminiscing about the Ghost Valley Manor and stretching to make sure their bodies got some exercise in. Wen Kexing wasn't going to give up martial arts just because of this good for nothing marriage.

He took of his hairpin, setting it on the vanity dresser with a sigh. The door to the bed chambers opened as he did so, Wen Kexing dreading the inevitable conversation.

"What was that?" Zhou Zishu asked, some hostility leaking into his voice. 

He didn't even hesitate, Wen Kexing thought bitterly, tensing at the sudden call of his voice. He opted to just ignore the man, unraveling the knot from his hair, moving to sit on the bed.

"Wen Kexing!" 

"You do not get to raise your voice at me!" Wen Kexing whirled around before he could make it to the bed, angry that his husband would dare have the audacity to do so.

Zhou Zishu flinched at the sudden attack before standing up straight to glare back at Wen Kexing. To think, Wen Kexing had imagined the possibility of actually falling for this fool in the years to come of their marriage. Ridiculous! Not even a week of marriage and yet they argue, over something that Wen Kexing thinks is so stupid.

"I can't believe you tried to silence my maid," Wen Kexing scowled, "How dare you allow your stupid guard try to scold her in any way! She is here to serve me, not any of you."

"Don't you ever call Han Ying stupid again," Zhou Zishu warned, and he looked genuinely angry at Wen Kexing's words. Wen Kexing wanted to scream, what was so special about this damn guard that Zhou Zishu would be so defensive over? "I don't know how the barbarians of the Martial Arts Word do things, but here - servants are well-behaved and do what they are told quietly - with respect."

Barbarians.

Wen Kexing gave out a bitter laugh, surprised at the actual audacity of the emperor before him. A barbarian. He had called his people barbarians - mere savages.

"Is that what you see me as, dear husband," Wen Kexing let out a stuttering breath, surprised over how much the words actually stung, "A barbarian?"

Zhou Zishu's eyes widened for a moment before closing like he realized he made a mistake - as if he regretted what he had said. Wen Kexing doubted he did, or maybe, just regretted saying it out loud to his face. Zhou Zishu gave a sigh, opening his eyes and taking a step forward towards Wen Kexing cautiously, like he were a mere wild animal that had to be approached carefully - a savage.

"That's not what I meant," Zhou Zishu calmly said, him voice controlled even though his fingers twitched at his side, an indication he wanted to reach out, "I didn't mean you were a barbarian I just meant---"

"I know what you meant," Wen Kexing interrupted, annoyed that his eyes started to feel like they were itching, his nose burning just a bit, "You don't see me as an equal, you see me as nothing more than a conquest. My people and I are nothing compared to you and everyone else in this damn capital. Is that why you married me, why you bedded me? To claim yet another victory - a tame the savage moment? Well fuck you, Zhou Zishu!"

By the gods, why was he feeling so emotional? Wen Kexing scoffed, angrily bringing his hands up to wipe at his eyes, annoyed at how wet and itchy they felt. He sniffled, wanting nothing more than to bash his skull against the wall. He wasn't weak. Words meant nothing. Yet, one bad word from his husband and now Wen Kexing crumbles like a frail, sensitive maiden? Pathetic. Why should he care what his husband thinks of him?

Hands quickly found their way around his waist, pulling Wen Kexing close. One of the hands released him in favor of pulling Wen Kexing's own away from his face, thumbing away the smeared tears around his eyes. It was stupid, it was humiliating, Wen Kexing turned his face away only for Zhou Zishu to catch his chin and turn his face back around.

"I swear, that's not what I meant," Zhou Zishu insisted, and his eyes held so much honesty - begged to be believed - that it hurt to look into their depths, "My dear husband, you are not just something to be claimed."

Pretty words from a pretty liar, Wen Kexing didn't want to believe him. He shook his head, sniffling as he did so, "If it wasn't directed to me then it was directed towards my family, it makes no difference."

Zhou Zishu touched Wen Kexing's cheek lightly, speaking softly, "It seems, regardless of what I do or say, it will not change how you view it. I can't change how you interpret something, but I can apologize for the misunderstanding. I swear to you, as your husband, I would never intentionally hurt or upset you. Didn't I promise you last night?"

Wen Kexing stayed quiet for a second before giving a hesitant nod, feeling stupidly childish over feeling so emotional. What was he - a pregnant woman? Why the sudden burst of stupid hurt feelings? 

He felt Zhou Zishu shift a bit, the hand against his cheek caressed a thumb softly against his skin in a soothing pattern. Then, slowly, he felt a breath hover over his lips for a second before a pair of lips tenderly brushed against his own. The lips moved slowly, cautiously, Zhou Zishu's hold on his light - as if letting him know that Wen Kexing could move away any moment he wanted to. Teeth lightly nipped at his bottom lip before being soothed over with a lick of a tongue.

Wen Kexing gave a quiet sigh, reluctantly placing his arms around Zhou Zishu's shoulders, pulling him closer. He hated how good Zhou Zishu's lips felt against his own, how nice Zhou Zishu's hands felt delicately holding his waist. He couldn't help but melt into Zhou Zishu's hold, sighing blissfully. 

They parted for a moment, panting for breath, and Zhou Zishu's lips drifted down to press soft kisses against his jaw, down to his neck. He continued his onslaught of kisses until he pressed one kiss to a spot between Wen Kexing's neck and shoulder, nipping and sucking when Wen Kexing moaned.

The hands on his waist tightened, Zhou Zishu seemingly tensing for a split second, but as quick as it came - it went away. Before Wen Kexing could question it, Zhou Zishu gently guided him to lay down on the bed.

"Husband?" Wen Kexing asked, feeling all sorts of confused. 

Zhou Zishu said nothing at first, merely stared down at Wen Kexing with an unreadable look in his eyes, untying his robes before shrugging them off, leaving him only in his inner robes. Wen Kexing sat up, feeling weird - like he just knew Zhou Zishu wasn't actually in the mood but seemed as if though he were pushing himself.

"Stop, husband, stop," Wen Kexing reached out, touching Zhou Zishu's hand when he went to undo his inner robe.

Zhou Zishu's hand froze, his brows furrowed in confusion, "What's the matter? Do you not want to...?"

"Where is this coming from?" Wen Kexing questioned, tugging Zhou Zishu down to sit on the bed in front of him, "One moment we're arguing and then the next you want have sex? Except, it does not even look like you want to. Dumb husband, don't force yourself to do things you don't want to."

"I do," Zhou Zishu protested, snatching Wen Kexing's hand to hold it in his own, endearingly holding it to his chest, "How can I not want to lay with my beautiful wife?"

What a silly man.

"We were literally fighting not too long ago," Wen Kexing argued with a sigh, though he didn't dare retreat his hand, allowing it to stay within Zhou Zishu's hold.

"It's late, I don't want us to sleep with bad blood between us," Zhou Zishu quietly admitted, pressing a kiss to Wen Kexing's knuckles - an action that had Wen Kexing's heart melt, "I thought that maybe if we were intimate, then it wouldn't solve the problem but it would at least ease the tension a bit."

"You ridiculous man," Wen Kexing sighed, leaning forward to press a kiss to Zhou Zishu's forehead. When he retreated, he smiled at the surprise look on Zhou Zishu's face before the man gained a small smile of his own, "Sex doesn't solve any problems. I'm still upset with you, but I'll let it go for now in favor of us sleeping comfortably."

I'll just make sure to bring it up another time we do argue, Wen Kexing added in his head, smiling innocently at Zhou Zishu. Zhou Zishu snorted, like he knew what Wen Kexing was thinking, though he nodded and smiled back in gratitude.

"What a considerate wife I have," Zhou Zishu teased, reaching out to tuck a stray lock of silver behind Wen Kexing's ear.

Wen Kexing rolled his eyes but leaned into Zhou Zishu's palm when it was placed against his cheek, "Of course I am, what kind of wife do you take me for? An unreasonable one?"

"I wouldn't dare think such a thing," Zhou Zishu's eyes widened in false innocence, his grin growing in it's playful nature.

"You jerk!" Wen Kexing laughed, kicking out at Zhou Zishu. Zhou Zishu caught his leg by his ankle, giving a tug so that Wen Kexing fell backwards.

Wen Kexing huffed, surprised at the turn of events, but nonetheless laughed again when Zhou Zishu came to hover over him, easily making himself at home between his legs. Zhou Zishu seemed to loosen up at least, his eyes twinkling with mischief.

"It seems I've been caught," Wen Kexing sighed dramatically, "Oh woe is me, helpless I am, in need of saving from this scoundrel."

"Scoundrel?" Zhou Zishu chuckled, "I thought I was your husband."

"My scoundrelous husband," Wen Kexing nodded, self-satisfied with his answer.

Zhou Zishu snorted, "That's not a real word."

"It so is," Wen Kexing argued, placing his arms around Zhou Zishu's neck.

Zhou Zishu shook his head, looking incredibly amused, "Whatever my wife says."

"That's right - happy wife, happy life," Wen Kexing agreed, laughing when Zhou Zishu started to.

He was still not too happy over the whole ordeal at breakfast, and he doubts he'll look favorably at Han Ying either for his comments, but this was husband - someone Wen Kexing was going to spend the rest of his life with. It wouldn't do too well to hold a grudge against him, despite wanting too. 

Wen Kexing will just have to talk to him in the morning again, just to make sure that Zhou Zishu knew not to scold Gu Xiang without his permission. He will also have to inform his husband that his business does not include Han Ying in it, so the man should do his job and guard the emperor, not interfer with Wen Kexing's life. If Gu Xiang is not to be heard but seen, Wen Kexing expects the same from Han Ying.

Something about that man just left a bitter taste in Wen Kexing's mouth.

"You should get to bed, dear husband," Wen Kexing moved his arm to cup Zhou Zishu's cheek with his palm, rubbing his thumb against his jaw, "Unlike me, you actually have duties to attend to tomorrow."

Zhou Zishu's smile fell and he sighed, leaning into Wen Kexing's palm, "Of course. Are you sure you don't want to...?"

Wen Kexing snorted, "Trust me, I would have no protest against it, usually. But I don't want us to be intimate for the sake of letting bygones be bygones."

Zhou Zishu frowned, apparently displeased with his words, "I wasn't just for that. You're my husband, my very beautiful wife, how could I not want to lay with you?"

Wen Kexing blinked, surprised to hear genuine honestly in his words rather than simple teasing. Zhou Zishu's eyes softened, leaning down to press a kiss to Wen Kexing's jaw sweetly. Wen Kexing melted, nudging Zhou Zishu's face up so they could kiss properly.

When they separated to breathe, Zhou Zishu trailed his kisses downwards once more, his hands coming down to untie Wen Kexing's inner robe, moving the fabric to the side - completely open - so that he may continue his trail of kisses.

Wen Kexing moaned when Zhou Zishu flicked a tongue over his nipple, jerking a bit at the sudden sensation, "Ahh... husband,"

Zhou Zishu hummed, sucking and nipping at the nipple, abusing it as his hands started to untie Wen Kexing's pants, to which Wen Kexing quickly kicked off when Zhou Zishu was done. He quickly nudged Zhou Zishu's head back up, reconnecting their lips, tugging on the ties to Zhou Zishu's inner robes until they came undone. Zhou Zishu pulled back enough to shrug off the robes before kissing Wen Kexing again, cradling his face as if he were something precious. 

Wen Kexing's heart stuttered, running his hands across smooth skin, unable to keep them still. Eventually, he found his way to Zhou Zishu's pants, tugging on them until Zhou Zishu took the hint. Again, their kissing had to disperse, much to Wen Kexing's annoyance, just so that Zhou Zishu could take off his pants quickly. It didn't take long for Zhou Zishu to get them off, and just as fast as he pulled away, he had returned, their lips reconnecting once more.

Zhou Zishu grinds down on him, his cock pressing against Wen Kexing's own, and Wen Kexing cries out at the pleasure, breaking their kiss. He clings to Zhou Zishu's shoulders, gasping and moaning as Zhou Zishu grinds and ruts against him, pressing their bodies so close, their cocks sliding against each other.

Wen Kexing's right leg is gripped by his thigh before being pulled up, Zhou Zishu burying his face into Wen Kexing's neck as he holds his leg, using it to keep Wen Kexing in place everytime he fucks down upon him. The bed rocks as Zhou Zishu seems to become desperate for release, Wen Kexing helpless to do nothing but cling to Zhou Zishu, lost in a sea of pleasure. 

"Y-you're so...ahhhh...so--...mnghhh... fuck... loud...," Zhou Zishu gasped out, his free hand coming up to grip the sheets beside Wen Kexing's head, pounding his hips harder, faster, against Wen Kexing's own.

Wen Kexing only moaned louder, his nails digging into Zhou Zishu's back, causing the emperor to hiss and bite down on Wen Kexing's shoulder. Their precum leaked, spreading across their stomachs, making the slide of their cocks much more efficient, more smoother, making their movements more erratic as Zhou Zishu continued his onslaught of thrusts.

Sleep did not greet them for another two hours.


 

Zhou Zishu had spent his whole life preparing to do what was best for his kingdom, whatever it cost.

He was raised to be a selfless one, just like his father, to put his people's needs before his own wants. It had seemed easy to do, Zhou Zishu was never the type to want more than he was already given. But then when the time came for him to take the throne officially, when the council came to the decision of an arranged marriage in exchange for protection by the Martial Arts World, Zhou Zishu found himself unable to let go of the one thing he had always hoped to hold on to.

He wasn't normally selfish - but for Han Ying, he was always a bit too greedy.

They had grown up together, played together, and strayed not far from one another. They were each others many firsts - it should not be a surprise that when Zhou Zishu and Han Ying grew older, their relationship of platonic love bloomed into that of romantic and even sexual interest.

This did not mean it was acceptable.

A royal and his personal guard? Common enough if it were for purely lustful reasons, unheard of for genuine romantic intentions. It would be a disgrace if they were ever to we'd - if they were even allowed to live long enough to do so. No, marriage could never happen. If there was a slim possibility, it has now been ripped from his grasp.

Zhou Zishu's current husband is one of pure beauty, this he cannot deny. Of long ivory locks and wide, doe-like brown eyes framed by long silver lashes, delicate silver brows that expressed his every emotion so clearly, and with rosy lips like floral petals. His husband stood tall but frail, appeared so gentle to touch with words as hard as steel. His husband had quite the temper and attitude, annoyingly endearing surprisingly.

When Zhou Zishu had taken off the sheer red veil, he hadn't anticipated the face held behind it. He had heard of the people from the Martial Arts World, how barbaric they fought - with bare hands and moved in unorthodox ways, like a tempting dance. Bloodthirsty savages that fought first and thought last - if they ever bothered to think at all.

Maybe he had expected an average face at best, but Zhou Zishu had been genuinely taken aback at the doll-like features that peered over at him, so unlike how he had imagined his kind of people to appear as.

He was the type of beauty one only heard of in poems.

But Wen Kexing was not his lover - simply his husband. Those two titles should not be separated, but they are. Zhou Zishu felt bad, just a bit, for having to make distinctions such as those, but it would not be fair to Han Ying if Wen Kexing were called his lover, alongside his husband as a title.

Yet still, it truly is hard for Zhou Zishu to deny that he does not find Wen Kexing attractive. He does - of course he does - Zhou Zishu may be in love with Han Ying, but he is not blind nor is he stupid. He has a husband now, and in order to finalize it, he would have to consummate the marriage.

At first, he had hesitated. It all felt too much at once. This beautiful creature on his bed, dressed in various shades of red and gold, peering up at him curiously - Zhou Zishu would be lying if he said he wasn't intimidated. It must have showed for his husband seemed to take initiative instead, pressing his velvet lips against Zhou Zishu's own.

Zhou Zishu froze - feeling like he was betraying Han Ying. His husband noticed that too. That was something that worried Zhou Zishu, it seemed like Wen Kexing noticed many things, even his panic when Wen Kexing started to take off his robes.

"What are you doing?"

"I am getting ready for bed."

"Bed?"

"If you do not wish to consummate this union, then I wish to sleep. It's been a long day."

Zhou Zishu didn't know what to do. If they didn't consummate the marriage, then it wasn't official. If it wasn't official, the alliance wasn't secure. Should the kingdom ever fall under threat, Zhou Zishu was not sure they could survive. He pushed aside his love for duty and tried to make it work.

Except, it wasn't as hard as he thought it would be. 

Wen Kexing's lips were soft, they felt nice against his own, and he made pretty sounds that had Zhou Zishu's thoughts fumbling. His husband felt nice pressed up against him, his skin smooth, his hair free, hands wandering. Zhou Zishu won't lie - Han Ying slowly vanished from his mind the more he and Wen Kexing kissed and touched and caressed and fell into one another. 

His lover has not crossed his mind the entire time Zhou Zishu fucked Wen Kexing, when he made the taller man moan and cry out, trembling in pleasure, gasping out his name. It was not Han Ying that was in his head when Zhou Zishu held Wen Kexing close in the aftermath, running his fingers through silver locks, in awe at the beauty of his new husband. Even in the morning, when Zhou Zishu had awoken, lightly caressing his slumbering husband's face, his heart gentled at the sight of him in peace - no, Han Ying did not come into mind until hours later, when the guilt finally caught up.

Zhou Zishu felt awful, but he had made a promise.

He would never hurt his husband intentionally, and if that meant making sure Wen Kexing never found out about him and Han Ying - then so be it.

He would not humiliate his husband like that, could not bear the sight of tears gathered in doe-like eyes. In order to not make his husband suspicious, he would have to continue the act of a loving, caring husband. It was not Wen Kexing's fault that he did not love him - could probably never love him - but he did not deserve to be treated like an outcast because of it.

Still, Zhou Zishu could not simply neglect his actual lover. He went to leave after a while of admiring his slumbering husband, and tried to be as discreet as possible, yet Wen Kexing had still awoken. Dread filled him, guilty for trying to sneak away, guilty for waking him up - Zhou Zishu wondered if all he would ever feel now was guilt.

He placated Wen Kexing with kisses, his adorable husband soft in his relaxed stats, smiling at him like Zhou Zishu deserved it. 

Wen Kexing was too trusting, he felt like scolding him for that, but it was supposed to be a good thing that he was - so that he would never suspect anything of Zhou Zishu's loyalties. Still, Zhou Zishu wanted to scream when Wen Kexing easily accepted his lies, peered up at him through silver lashes and happily accepted his kisses.

Zhou Zishu was an awful husband.

Yet, he still left to see Han Ying, despite the temptation to lay back down beside Wen Kexing - gather him in his arms and fall back to sleep, comforted by his warmth and even breaths.

Han Ying had greeted him with kisses of his own, his lips rougher than Wen Kexing's soft like rose petal ones. Han Ying's love always felt more like worship, his hands touching every inch of skin he could from Zhou Zishu's body, thoroughly ravishing him.

The entire time, however, Zhou Zishu's mind was plagued with images of his husband, the one currently slumbering away in his bed chambers, of silver hair and pale skin, like an ethereal beauty. His heart yelled at him for how much this would hurt his husband should he ever find out about the affair, the image of a crying Wen Kexing had him flinch away from Han Ying.

"What's wrong?" Han Ying asked, already deep inside of Zhou Zishu, his worry evident in his handsome face.

"Nothing," Zhou Zishu lied, kissing Han Ying quickly, "Nothing at all."

Zhou Zishu wanted this - wanted to keep Han Ying, to be the perfect lover to the man who has been by his side since their childhood. But he also wanted to be a good husband, and had always thought he would make a good husband - he thought he would be a faithful one too - but Zhou Zishu was doing it all wrong.

He was an awful lover to Han Ying, for his mind could not stray from Wen Kexing during their coupling, and he was an awful husband to Wen Kexing, for his heart could not bear to leave Han Ying.

Zhou Zishu felt so selfish.


 

"Wen Kexing!" 

"You do not get to raise your voice at me!"

Barely over twenty-four hours into their marriage and already, they had fought. Zhou Zishu was astonished at the sheer audacity of Wen Kexing's personal maid, the one who had followed him from the Martial Arts World.

She was delicate in appearance, black hair down with braids running through, purple beads tangled in - a style Zhou Zishu could never image any of the women in the capital wearing. She wore well-off robes, similar in color to his husband's, and if Zhou Zishu hadn't known any better - he would have suspected she was the daughter of a noble man had she kept her mouth shut.

She spoke venomous words, so inappropriate, far too familiar to his husband - bantered with Wen Kexing like they were friends and she was not a mere servant.

She did not know her place.

And Wen Kexing indulged her. 

Had she had been his maid, Zhou Zishu would have had her fired and kicked from the palace, or at least reprimand her for manners since she did seem young enough to still be able to learn. But no - Wen Kexing did not seem to agree. He had laughed at her words, teased her for her lack of manners, smiled endearingly before attempting to cover it with a white fan.

To see them talk freely to one another left a sour feeling in Zhou Zishu's chest.

Han Ying, his dear love, had tried to scold her. He did so in what Zhou Zishu felt was a fair and polite way. Zhou Zishu knew Han Ying meant no ill intentions - had meant well. Wen Kexing had taken offense, and Zhou Zishu tried to offer his own advice to his husband. It had only made it worse, Zhou Zishu had cringed when Wen Kexing had stood up angrily, left in a whirlwind of lavender.

"You forget we are from two different places, Your Majesty. I don't know how you treat your servants here, but I will not have mine be some dull-minded yes sir and as you wish sir brain-dead stranger. She is my person before you two. I'd rather you both be silenced than her."

How could Zhou Zishu be so foolish as to forget their differences? Despite how beautiful and elegant his husband was, they were still of two different worlds, of two different statuses. The Martial Arts World operated differently than that of the capital. Wen Kexing and his maid, Gu Xiang if Zhou Zishu recalls, had grown up in a different manner than Han Ying and himself.

That is - without manners at all.

 "I don't know how the barbarians of the Martial Arts Word do things, but here - servants are well-behaved and do what they are told quietly - with respect."

Barbarians.

Zhou Zishu hadn't meant to offend his husband, hadn't meant to say the derogatory word out loud, but he had gotten so angry when Wen Kexing had called Han Ying stupid - insulted his lover for the sake of defending a mere maid.

He regretted his words as soon as he said them, but there was no way of taking them back - what's said had been spoken and the hurt and betrayed look on his husband's face would haunt his dreams at night - give him yet another thing to feel guilty over.

"You don't see me as an equal, you see me as nothing more than a conquest. My people and I are nothing compared to you and everyone else in this damn capital. Is that why you married me, why you bedded me? To claim yet another victory - a tame the savage moment? Well fuck you, Zhou Zishu!"

It wasn't supposed to be like this, hadn't he promised to take good care of his husband? Yet here Zhou Zishu is - making tears well up in those doe eyes, making his husband sniffle and wipe angrily at his eyes, embarrassing his husband and for what? To make a point? What was even the point, again? 

Zhou Zishu forgot that Wen Kexing would be considered one of those barbarians - he just couldn't bring himself to group his husband in with those people who have tales of them being nothing but bloodthirsty savages, who fight for sake of it, for fun. Wen Kexing's delicate appearance just did not sit well with Zhou Zishu's idea of his people, hell - even Gu Xiang had not looked like what he had thought those kinds of people would appear as.

It gave him a headache.

And a heartache when Wen Kexing seemed to only get more emotional.

Zhou Zishu could not hold back the urge to take his husband in his arms, cradling him close, apologizing for the words he had used. Zhou Zishu may not love Wen Kexing, but this was still his husband. This was still someone he married. If he could not stay faithful to him, then the least he could do is everything else a husband should do for their spouse.

Zhou Zishu gave into the impulse and kissed those soft lips, tasted that pale neck, sucked on smooth skin, caressed silver locks, untied a white robe, basked in the sounds of sweet moans and gasps. His thoughts were consumed only with Wen Kexing, of his husband, who clawed at his back and arched into his touch, beneath him much like the night before, stolen kisses here and there. 

He came with husband's name in his mouth, shuddering as Wen Kexing followed soon after with a moan of his own name falling from tempting lips. 

Zhou Zishu raised his head from Wen Kexing's shoulder, staring at the dazed look of his husband, who smiled so beautifully back up at him. 

Zhou Zishu stole another kiss.


 

Wen Kexing awakened before his husband, the sound of his even breathing bringing forth a sense of strange comfort. 

He picked his head up from where it laid on a bare chest, blinking as the vision of his husband sleeping was the sight that greeted him. Zhou Zishu looked so at peace like this, no worry on his brow, no strange look in his eyes, his face relaxed, his hair loose from it's tight bounds, making him appear much softer. His husband truly was a beauty, it's no wonder there are poems dedicated to him.

Wen Kexing ran a hand over Zhou Zishu's cheek, feeling the smoothness of his. He smiled when Zhou Zishu's face twitched, seemingly leaning unconsciously into his touch. Zhou Zishu turned his head slightly, sighing content, pressing a kiss to Wen Kexing's fingers subconsciously.

"Han Ying."

Wen Kexing stilled, like ice falling into warm water, his head trying to process the words that had just escaped his slumbering husband's lips. 

He swallowed, leaning closer, softly whispering to Zhou Zishu, "Yes?"

Zhou Zishu's lips spread into a small smile, a sigh escaping him, leaning more into his palm, "I love you, Ying'er."

Wen Kexing clenched his jaw to keep it from trembling, a million of different emotions coursed through him, blinking rapidly to ease the stinging behind his eyes. Slowly, so slowly, ever so carefully, Wen Kexing laid his head back down, resting his ear against Zhou Zishu's chest, hearing the steady heartbeat of the sleeping man.

The emperor and his personal guard - it sounded like a forbidden love story, a common theme in creative literature. The only difference was, this wasn't fiction. This was real - his husband had just so easily confessed to him that he held love for his personal guard. Yes, he was asleep while doing so, but isn't that when one's truest self is shown? 

Wen Kexing felt something wet fall down his face and scowled, shutting his eyes and burrowing closer to Zhou Zishu, not wanting to let go. His husband's heart did not belong to him, he should have expected that. Whether or not Han Ying feels the same way towards Zhou Zishu - he does not know, but there is one thing he knows.

Zhou Zishu is his husband.

He married him.

There was no way Wen Kexing was going to lose to some overqualified servant

Wen Kexing didn't go back to sleep, he couldn't. His mind was plagued with his husband's confession. He didn't exactly know what to do. Tell him that he knows? Use it as blackmail? Just stay silent? Pretend he doesn't know? Feign ignorance? 

He has never felt so at loss before.


 

Wen Kexing watched as Han Ying took a seat beside Zhou Zishu, carefully noting the lingering hand Han Ying kept on Zhou Zishu's seat before it retreated.

Something bitter twisted in his chest at the sight.

"Master?" Gu Xiang whispered, nudging his elbow.

Wen Kexing looked back at the girl, raising a brow in question. She gave him a look as if to ask what's wrong, to which Wen Kexing shook his head before tapping his fan beside her plate, a silent command to eat. Gu Xiang gave a huff, but a side eye from Wen Kexing had her sigh and do as told, looking like a scolded puppy.

Wen Kexing's heart softened at his little girl in purple. No matter how old she got, she was someone he knew would always stand by his side.

A throat clearing caught Wen Kexing's attention, retracting his gaze to catch Han Ying, who had apparently called for him.

Wen Kexing opened his fan, fluttering it as he addressed the man as politely as he could muster, however forced it felt, "Is there something you needed?"

Zhou Zishu frowned but said nothing, his brows furrowed, no doubt offended for his love.

"I'm sorry to intrude," Han Ying didn't exactly sound all too sorry, "But this one is curious, how do you and - Gu Xiang, was it? - know each other? You both came from out there, right?"

"Out there?" Wen Kexing tilted his head, closing his fan to set it down, raising a brow to give on a display of  offense, "What is that supposed to mean?"

"Husband, you know that's not what he meant," Zhou Zishu commented, as if to try to calm him, and Wen Kexing shot him a brief dismissive side glance. Funny enough, Han Ying seemed to bristle at that, though he did not comment on it.

"I don't know what he means," Wen Kexing said, giving a strained smile, "So I hope he can explain just exactly what it is out there entails."

"You're from Jianghu, right?" Han Ying corrected himself, though he appeared to have been reluctant in doing so, "Which Sect, exactly? Are you and Miss Gu both from the same Sect? How long have you both known each other?"

"This sounds awfully like an interrogation," Wen Kexing pretended to shudder in fear, picking up his fan and opening it, hiding behind it, "I don't think I feel very comfortable around you."

Han Ying sat up straighter, as if to protest, but Zhou Zishu spoke first.

"That's enough," Zhou Zishu gave Han Ying a look that had the man deflate, "Why are you asking so many questions?"

"They seem awfully close," Han Ying muttered under his breath, like he didn't mean for anyone but Zhou Zishu to hear. He sucked at whispering apparently.

"I thought servants were supposed to be seen and not heard," Wen Kexing offhandedly said, "I told my maid to hold her tongue for today's breakfast, but it seems your guard cannot do the same."

Wen Kexing stood up, gesturing for Gu Xiang to do the same, sick of the sight of both Han Ying and Zhou Zishu sitting as close to each other without trying to be obvious. He wasn't stupid, he would have just preferred not to know.

"Where are you going?" Zhou Zishu stood up as well, appearing confused.

"I came to eat, not be bombarded with questions and be the subject of accusations," Wen Kexing sighed, "I think I'll retire to our room. I'll see you for lunch, maybe."

Gu Xiang complained the whole way back.


 

"What the hell was that?" Zhou Zishu rounded on Han Ying, angered at his behavior.

Normally, Han Ying wasn't the kind to speak so intrusively. Yet for some reason, he had felt the need to speak to his husband in such a disrespectful manner, Zhou Zishu ought to have him punished for it.

Han Ying pursed his lips, appearing stubborn. 

"Han Ying!" Zhou Zishu placed his chopsticks down with a thud, hardening his stare. 

"Why didn't you come see me this morning?" Han Ying completely avoided his question, staring at Zhou Zishu with the same accusing eyes he had given Wen Kexing earlier.

Zhou Zishu blinked, confused at the question. It's true, he hadn't gone to see Han Ying this morning, but it wasn't like he could simply just throw a slumbering Wen Kexing off of him. He had looked so comfortable, his cheek pressed against his chest, holding onto Zhou Zishu as if though he were a lifeline. Zhou Zishu didn't have the heart to maneuver him off and risk waking him.

It didn't feel right to leave him either, when he had done so the day before.

"You were with him, weren't you?" Han Ying asked, clenching down on the chopsticks, a crack resounding around the room.

"We share a room, of course I was with him," Zhou Zishu answered evenly, narrowing his eyes at Han Ying, daring him to continue his hostility. Though they are lovers, Zhou Zishu is still the emperor first foremost. He will not be disrespected.

Han Ying seemed to realize this too, for he visibly calmed himself down, placing the broken chopsticks down next to his plate.

"You couldn't get away like last time?" Han Ying continued his ridiculous questions, looking at Zhou Zishu as if he were an unfaithful lover.

And yes, maybe he was - but Han Ying knew the consequences of continuing their relationship while he went through with the marriage alliance. Han Ying knew that he would have to be a husband to his husband. He had no right to act like a scorned wife when he isn't the one in the dark about an affair.

"No, I couldn't," Zhou Zishu said, plain and simple, refusing to elaborate more. 

Han Ying was quiet the rest of their breakfast.


 

Wen Kexing kissed Zhou Zishu the second he entered their bedchambers.

Zhou Zishu startled, his hands falling to Wen Kexing's waist instinctively, and Wen Kexing preened inwardly in delight when Zhou Zishu immediately responded in kind, kissing him back earnestly.

"Husband," Zhou Zishu muttered in-between their kiss, moving back a bit to smile confusingly at Wen Kexing, "Not that I don't appreciate the enthusiasm, but is something the matter?"

"What ever do you mean, darling?" Wen Kexing dramatically swooned, arms around Zhou Zishu's shoulders as he leaned closer, placing a kiss upon Zhou Zishu's jaw.

Zhou Zishu snorted, leaning his head back to allow Wen Kexing more access. Wen Kexing gladly took the offer, wondering how long he had until Gu Xiang gave Han Ying the message.

"Well, I figured you would still be upset," Zhou Zishu noted, his thumbs rubbing circles over Wen Kexing's waist seemingly absentmindedly, "About what Han Ying was saying this morning."

"I am upset," Wen Kexing admitted, drawing back to smile at his cheating husband, "But I know just the way for you to make it up to me."

"Is that so?" Zhou Zishu gave him a playful look of suspicion, one that had Wen Kexing's chest give a strange hurtful clench to, "How may this one make it all better?"

You can't.

Wen Kexing stepped back, tugging Zhou Zishu towards the bed before shoving him down, immediately crawling on top of his lap. Zhou Zishu made a noise of surprise, his hands catching on Wen Kexing's thighs, a brow raised upon realizing Wen Kexing wasn't wearing any pants - completely bare under his robes.

"I feel like you thought this through," Zhou Zishu commented, to which Wen Kexing smiled, leaning down to bite at his lip playfully, feeling Zhou Zishu's breath stutter.

He tugged at Zhou Zishu's pants after moving the robes to the side, freeing his already half hard cock from it's restraint. He lightly grazed the slit with his finger, Zhou Zishu groaning, the cock twitching with interest. Wen Kexing slid the vial of oil from his sleeve, opening it before pouring a generous amount on Zhou Zishu's cock, throwing it carelessly to the side in favor of stroking him to full hardness.

Zhou Zishu's hands clenched on his thighs, head falling back to knock on the headboard, eyes closing in bliss.

"I had all morning to think," Wen Kexing offhandedly said, shifting on his knees to straddle Zhou Zishu's cock, lining it up to his opening. He had stretched himself before Zhou Zishu had entered, had everything planned - there was only one final piece missing.

He slowly brought himself down, the cock piercing through him slowly, stretching him as he took it inside him. Wen Kexing grunted, Zhou Zishu cursing - his eyes flying open in wonder, hands moving up to catch Wen Kexing's waist, gently guiding him down his length.

"You always feel so good," Zhou Zishu breathed out, leaning forward to press kisses to Wen Kexing's throat.

Does Han Ying let you take him like this? Wen Kexing didn't say, had to bite his tongue to hold back venomous words, Or do you spread your legs for him instead?

Wen Kexing whimpered, rising up just to fall back down, repeating the pattern, circling his hips as he set a slow but steady pace of riding Zhou Zishu. His husband took to it easily, his hands disappearing from Wen Kexing's waist to crawl under his robes, grasping at his backside, helping him rise and fall on a greedy cock.

Wen Kexing opened his eyes after a while, having not even realized he had closed them in the first place - becoming too lost in the pleasure of it all. He looked up towards the door, where he had sensed a presence, and caught the wide eyes of Han Ying, holding a platter with a jug of wine and two empty cups on top.

When Han Ying realized that he was caught, he jerked, the platter falling from his hands. It crashed to the ground loudly, causing Zhou Zishu to flinch. Wen Kexing halted his movements, making a show of closing his loosened robes shut, climbing off of Zhou Zishu hurriedly.

Zhou Zishu immediately stood up, tucking himself - still hard - into his pants, speaking with panic in his voice, "Han Ying! What are you - ?"

"I was asked to bring over some wine for two," Han Ying said, his voice thick. He sounded like he was going to cry, looked like he would too with hold he held himself, hunched and defeated.

"What?" Zhou Zishu rounded around to angrily glare at Wen Kexing, searching for an explanation.

He doesn't look too happy, Wen Kexing thought, raising his hands defensively, feigning innocence. Good.

"I told A' Xiang to bring me the wine for two and to leave it at the front door to not disturb us," Wen Kexing explained, taking the covers to cover himself more modestly, "I don't know why Hang Ying is here instead!" 

"Miss Gu said she had to take care of something else real quick and asked if I could take it up for her," Han Ying decided to add in, looking between Zhou Zishu and Wen Kexing dejectedly, "I didn't - I... I'm sorry for disturbing His Majesty and His Highness. I'll bring a different jug of wine and a new set of cups."

"No, don't, leave it," Zhou Zishu hastily stopped him, "I need to talk to you real quick, just wait outside."

"Husband?" Wen Kexing reached out, touching Zhou Zishu's shoulder. He was surprised when Zhou Zishu pushed him off, but he could see the immediate regret in doing so. 

Wen Kexing felt just a little bad for putting Zhou Zishu in this position, but not so much. If his husband thinks he can live some sort of double life and expect him to live as an ignorant spouse, then he is very mistaken.

"Just, stay," Zhou Zishu addressed towards Wen Kexing, "I won't be long."

Zhou Zishu left, fixing up his robes as he did, Han Ying following albeit reluctantly. The door closed quietly behind them both, and Wen Kexing waited for a minute before getting up.

He walked towards the mess at the front door, picking up a broken cup. He held it within his palm before slowly closing it, the sharp edges cutting into his skin. Wen Kexing smirked as the blood leaked from his hand, a drop falling down to join the spilled wine.

Funny


 

"What was that?" Han Ying asked once they had entered his private room.

Zhou Zishu sighed, feeling all sorts of panic and guilt - mostly shame. He had just left his husband mid-way through intercourse because of Han Ying catching them.

Normally, it wouldn't be a problem if a servant caught a married couple being intimate, however this wasn't just some servant - this was his lover. He left Wen Kexing, probably confused, in their bed to explain to Han Ying - a normal personal guard for all Wen Kexing knows - that they were having sex. 

Yeah, that conversation isn't going to go well when he gets back.

"You said that you only had to have sex with him to consummate the marriage, that I understand," Han Ying continued, his voice becoming staggered, "What I don't understand is why you are still sleeping with him!"

Just like how this conversation was going to be a wreck.

"He's my husband," Zhou Zishu tried to calm his erratic heart, tried to keep his composure, "I can't just not ---,"

"Yes, you can," Han Ying stressed, looking as if though he were on the border of tears. Zhou Zishu's heart ached for him, "You can very well deny him. Tell him it's an arranged marriage, intimacy beyond required deemed unnecessary, you can still say no."

The thing is - he knew he could. But Zhou Zishu didn't like to see Wen Kexing upset, didn't like the idea of hurt filling those doe eyes, didn't like the idea of rejection upon his soft features.  

"It's not that simple," Zhou Zishu argued, though it felt weak, even to him.

"Then make it simple!" Han Ying insisted, pointing outwards, "Go tell him that you don't love him, that you will never love him, that ---"

"I am not going to be cruel to my husband!" Zhou Zishu snapped, bristling at his sheer audacity to tell the emperor what to do.

"But you're fine with being cruel to me?" Han Ying spoke quietly, and this time the tears did fall.

Zhou Zishu's own welled up.

"That's not fair," Zhou Zishu strained to speak without his voice breaking, "Ying'er, you know that's not fair."

"None of this is fair," Han Ying retorted, "To me, to you, to him, to anyone. Zhou Zishu, you're going to have to make a choice. Right here, right now. Because I can't stand having to smell his scent on you everytime we try to be intimate behind his back."

Zhou Zishu could feel the panic rising and rising, could swear he hears his heart pumping in his ears, and swear he hears his blood roaring in his veins, his fingers twitching at his side.

"Please," Zhou Zishu's voice did break, just like his heart was, "Please, don't make me choose. Don't do this, Ying'er."

"I loved you first," Han Ying sniffled, rubbing at his eyes, "I loved you first, but it's not enough, is it? I always thought we would be married to each other when we were kids, I thought it would always be us against the world."

"It was - it is!" Zhou Zishu insisted. He tried to step closer, but Han Ying simply walked back, away from him. It stung.

"No, it's not," Han Ying shook his head with a weak laugh, "I'm not the one you're married to, and I know I can never be."

"Han Ying, please," Zhou Zishu reached a trembling hand out, feeling his tears fall down.

Han Ying gave a smile so sad, it shut down everything before his words did.

"It's time we end this."


 

Wen Kexing hummed, watching as Gu Xiang changed the poorly done bandage on his hand to a fresher, more well bound, one. She scolded him the whole time, shaking her head at him for being so careless in picking up a broken glass cup, and Wen Kexing laughed at her when she realized he wasn't really paying attention.

"A' Xing, you fool!" Gu Xiang complained, smacking him on the wrist lightly, "You need to be more attentive, you've grown too soft in the week we've been here!"

"I am but a delicate flower," Wen Kexing mournfully spoke, "I can't help if trouble finds me."

"I'll show you delicate," Gu Xiang pointed her finger at him threateningly, her eyes twinkling with mischief.

"I am in fear," Wen Kexing deadpanned.

"You---!"

The door to his bed chambers opened and in came his husband, looking downright heartbroken. It sent a chill down his spine, seeing Zhou Zishu look so upset, his cheeks stained wet, his eyes rimmed red. 

Zhou Zishu looked between Gu Xiang and Wen Kexing, taking special note of his hand in her smaller one. Wen Kexing retreated his hand on to his lap, Gu Xiang reluctantly retreating hers too.

"Are you going to leave me too?" Zhou Zishu croaked out, and Wen Kexing exchanged a look with Gu Xiang. She took the hint and stood, giving a bow goodbye to Zhou Zishu before hurrying out of the room.

Wen Kexing stood when the door closed, walking towards his husband. He had suspected Han Ying and he would fight, but not bad enough to where Zhou Zishu would be in tears.

"Husband, what's the matter?" Wen Kexing asked, coming to a stop in front of Zhou Zishu, reaching his uninjured hand out to place upon his cheek.

Zhou Zishu angrily slapped his hand away, a loud echo of the hit resounding across the room. Surprised and feeling a bit hurt over the act, Wen Kexing hurriedly took his hand back, cradling it to chest before taking a step back from Zhou Zishu.

Zhou Zishu's angry stare faltered for a second before it came back full force, "It's all your fault."

Wen Kexing blinked, furrowing his brows in a show of confusion, "I don't understand."

"It's all your fault," Zhou Zishu repeated, more slowly but no less harshly, "If it wasn't for you, my life would not be ruined. If it wasn't for you, I would still be happy. If it wasn't for you, my life would have been perfectly fine."

Wen Kexing swallowed, every word Zhou Zishu said was like a vicious whip lashed out towards him.

"I- Husband?" Wen Kexing spoke quietly, unsure. Surely it couldn't have been that bad? It's not like he did something entirely uncalled for. Is his husband allowed to cheat but he can't get back at him with a harmless prank? "Where is this coming from? Why are you being so cruel?"

Zhou Zishu stepped forward, harshly grabbing at Wen Kexing's upper arms, nails digging through, "Why did it have to be you that I married?"

Wen Kexing's felt something wet fall down his cheeks, followed by another, he foolishly felt his bottom lip tremble despite his attempt to stop it. He didn't like the words Zhou Zishu was speaking, didn't like how he was treating him. Why is he the villain if he was the one faithful the entire time?

"Husband," Wen Kexing muttered, his voice feeling weak in his throat, "You're hurting me."

"This husband will take good care of his wife."

Zhou Zishu's hands loosened on Wen Kexing, before all but crumbling away. The man fell to his knees in loud, ragged sobs, his fists clenching at Wen Kexing's robes by the bottom.

"I'm sorry," Zhou Zishu cried out, his smaller body visibly shaking, "I'm so sorry. I'm such an awful husband. I didn't meant to hurt you. I'm sorry."

Wen Kexing let out a breath he hadn't realized he was holding, entirely lost and unsure of what to do. He didn't want to reach out for fear of being smacked away again, but he couldn't exactly move away either with how Zhou Zishu was clinging to him. 

He hadn't meant for it to go this far.


 

When Zhou Zishu woke up, he was a bit confused. He didn't recall when he had gone to bed, only that apparently he had and uncomfortably so. 

Noting the lack of a body clinging to him, Zhou Zishu tuned to the side, surprised over the lack of a slumbering Wen Kexing. Normally, his husband was still asleep. He never woke up before him. Zhou Zishu wondered what time it was, maybe he could leave and see Han Ying before ---

Han Ying.

"I'm not the one you're married to, and I know I can never be."

That's right, Han Ying... He... They're... 

Han Ying broke up with him.

He had caught Zhou Zishu and Wen Kexing having ---

Wen Kexing. 

His husband.

 "Why did it have to be you that I married?"

"Husband, you're hurting me."

He had grabbed his husband so cruelly, Zhou Zishu realized, sitting up straighter as he took a panicked look around. He had pushed his husband away, he had left him alone to chase after Han Ying, he had smacked his hand when he reached out, he had said so many nasty words, he had - he had - he had ---!

Zhou Zishu scrambled to get out of bed, falling from being tangled with the covers, hastily standing up to take a better look around the room. His husband was nowhere to be found, his husband was gone, his husband had left, his husband didn't want him anymore, his husband hated him, his husband had fear and hurt and tears in his eyes ---!

"Husband?"

The gentle call from a voice he has longed to hear had Zhou Zishu turning towards the door, where his husband stood in all his ethereal glory, robes of ivory matching his hair, making him look like some sort of holy ghost. In his hands was a silver platter, what looked like food upon it. 

Zhou Zishu didn't care about the food.

He cared that his husband was right there, seemingly unharmed, his silver brows furrowed with worry, his doe eyes wide with concern. Even after all the awful things Zhou Zishu had said, his husband still finds it in his heart to return to him.

He felt like crying all over again.


 

"Husband?" Wen Kexing repeated, setting the tray of food down on the center table, "What ails you?"

He worried for a moment that Zhou Zishu would lash out in a fit of rage once more. He didn't know if he could take another session of venomous words followed by guilt-ridden apologies. 

It's his fault his husband is like this.

Zhou Zishu walked towards him, his eyes set determined on him, wet and scared. Wen Kexing swallowed, staying still, not really sure on what to do. He didn't have to make much of a decision though, luckily, since all Zhou Zishu seemed to want was a hug.

Zhou Zishu buried his face between the juncture of Wen Kexing's neck and shoulder, his arms wrapped tightly around his waist, as if he feared Wen Kexing would slip away.

"I'm sorry," Zhou Zishu muttered into his flesh, barely audible, "I don't mean what I said. I don't - I swear - I - I -,"

"I know," Wen Kexing lied, because in all honesty, he wouldn't be surprised if Zhou Zishu truly meant it. Regardless, he patted Zhou Zishu's head a bit cautiously, "I know, it's okay. Don't worry about it."

He lightly nudged Zhou Zishu's head up from his shoulder, taking his sleeve to dab lightly at the tears that threatened the corner of peach blossom eyes. Zhou Zishu watched him with wide eyes, unblinking, like he suspected any moment now that Wen Kexing would vanish.

It made him feel no less guilty.

Wen Kexing gave a weak smile at Zhou Zishu, nudging him towards the center table where their breakfast lay, "Come, husband, you should eat something."

"I'm not hungry," Zhou Zishu muttered, but he followed Wen Kexing's guidance regardlessly, taking a seat in front of the table. Wen Kexing had to sit down beside him, Zhou Zishu had clung to his hand in seeming refusal to let go.

"At least eat some of it," Wen Kexing insisted, moving the food off of the platter to place in front of Zhou Zishu, taking chopsticks to held serve some of the food onto an empty bowl, "I woke so early to make all this food for you, don't let it go to waste. Do you know how hard it was trying to get the servants to let me use the kitchen? Stubborn, the whole lot of them!"

"You made all of this... for me?" Zhou Zishu weakly asked, surprised. He glanced between the food to Wen Kexing, like he didn't know what else to say.

Wen Kexing nodded, offering up a smile, "I wouldn't be a very good wife if I didn't make some comfort food for my sad husband. I don't know what foods exactly that you like, so I just made what Aunt Luo would when A' Xiang or I were having a bad day."

"I'm not sad," His husband protested, though not very convincingly. Zhou Zishu clenched his hand harder on Wen Kexing's, his eyes retreating downwards. "Thank you, I'm blessed to have such a kind wife."

Wen Kexing held his tongue and offered another smile when Zhou Zishu looked back up at him, his peach blossom eyes glassy with unshed tears.

"Thank you."


 

Zhou Zishu spent most of his days in bed.

Wen Kexing often than not had to coax his husband out to do the simplest tasks, such as bathing and eating. Some days were easier than others and Wen Kexing would take the moments Zhou Zishu would have bathing in privacy to cry out his frustrations with it all. Sometimes, he thought of simply leaving. Taking care of a grown man who was too sad to do much of anything was not what Wen Kexing had signed up for when he agreed to this pathetic marriage alliance.

Leaving was easier said than done, though.

Whenever Wen Kexing would finally decide to leave, late at night, he would take one look at his slumbering husband - curled up close to him, his face buried in Wen Kexing's chest, arms wrapped tightly around Wen Kexing's waist, and call out either his or Han Ying's name in his sleep.

He couldn't do it.

Wen Kexing could not leave his pitiful husband.

He couldn't leave even when Zhou Zishu would have days where he seemed to despise Wen Kexing. Wen Kexing was both saddened and hurt when Zhou Zishu had woken up one day and glared so angrily at Wen Kexing, he was surprised he hadn't been burned alive. He accused Wen Kexing of ruining his life once more, of being the reason he could never be happy again, of being the cause of why he will never get to marry the love of his life. 

Zhou Zishu had never admitted to his affair. But if there was ever doubt before, Wen Kexing was all but proven correct when Zhou Zishu had lashed out.

Wen Kexing had risen from the bed slowly, swallowing back his own venomous words before turning to leave. Zhou Zishu had demanded that he go so he would do just that. If his husband did not want him around anymore then so be it.

But the moment Wen Kexing went to walk away, Zhou Zishu had clung to his waist from behind, face buried in his hair, begging and pleading for him to not leave.

"Husband," Wen Kexing quietly spoke, his hand coming up to lightly touch the hands resting in his stomach, "I don't know what you want me to do."

"Don't leave me," Zhou Zishu sniffled, clenching onto him tighter, "Don't go, please. I'm sorry. I didn't mean it."

Wen Kexing closed his eyes and tried to will his headache away.


 

Wen Kexing watched as Zhou Zishu opened his eyes, the sky still dark - awaiting for the sun to awaken as well. 

He's able to go days without sleep and still function, but Zhou Zishu will sleep for long hours upon hours and hours and still look so tired.

How funny.

"You know, don't you?" Zhou Zishu whispered, like any louder would cause the world to shatter, "About me and Han Ying."

Wen Kexing gave a hesitant nod, removing his hand from Zhou Zishu's grasp to tuck it under his own head, "You weren't exactly hiding it when you got angry with me."

Zhou Zishu closed his eyes and for a quick, panicked, moment - Wen Kexing thought he would start crying again. He was getting real sick of all the crying. Wen Kexing could only handle so much of this pitiful atmosphere.

"I…," Zhou Zishu seemed to struggle for words, "I never meant - I couldn't - I didn't mean for - I -..."

"Were you ever going to tell me?" Wen Kexing asked quietly, genuinely curious, "Or were you going to just lie to me our entire marriage?"

Zhou Zishu stayed quiet for a few minutes, "I don't know."

"You don't know?" Wen Kexing scoffed, a sound that had Zhou Zishu open his eyes hastily, looking panicked. It was like walking on eggshells around him - it was really starting to annoy Wen Kexing, "I'm glad to know that you don't respect me enough as your husband to not bother telling me of your affairs."

"I never wanted to marry you," Zhou Zishu confessed, a simple phrase that left Wen Kexing feeling like he had been punched in the chest.

Why did he bother staying again?

"Funny," Wen Kexing whispered, retreating his gaze from Zhou Zishu's own, "I never wanted to marry you, either."

He turned to lay on his side, not feeling able to face Zhou Zishu anymore. It felt awful, hearing those words leave his husband's mouth. Yes, they were not in love - but they were still married. Wen Kexing would have hoped his husband had at least a little respect for him. It did not seem like the case, however. His husband did not care for him. 

Yet still, despite his harsh words, Wen Kexing felt an arm wrap hesitantly around his waist, as if afraid to be pushed away. When it seemed like Wen Kexing would not pull away, the arm became heavier, more grounded, and a hand tucked itself just on top of his belly. Soon, a solid chest touched his back and a face was buried into his hair.

"I'm sorry," Zhou Zishu muttered, half muffled by his hair, "It seems no matter what I say, I'll hurt you."

"Stop apologizing," Wen Kexing sighed, "If you didn't mean it, you wouldn't say it. Just let me sleep. I'm tired."

The sun should be high in the sky by now, but Wen Kexing feels like he deserves at least this day to self-indulge in the dream land. At least there, he will be happily married to a husband who actually wanted him.

"Don't leave me."

"I have nowhere else I can go."


 

Wen Kexing won't lie and say he didn't want them to suffer.

He's always been the type to grow bitter when things didn't go his way - something that Luo Fumeng would most often than not scold him for. But how can he not dislike it when things didn't go according to plan? When the cards did not fall in his favor? He had got what he wanted, in the general longrun - a rocky path in the relationship between his husband and his husband's lover. They had fought, Wen Kexing is assuming, and they had even split if Zhou Zishu's failing mood were to confirm.

And yet, despite it going well beyond what he had planned, Wen Kexing still felt bitter. Despite the plan to get back at them being successful, Wen Kexing felt like he had lost rather than won. He did not feel satisfied - he felt something uglier. 

He felt guilty.

It's already been a month and a half but his husband still mourns the lost affair. It's already been a month and a half and his husband still struggles to get out of bed some night - still lashes out at him at random times - still cries himself to sleep all the while seeking his comfort. 

It's too much for Wen Kexing to handle. He can't continue being a caretaker to his own husband. It sounds cruel, but if Wen Kexing has to live like this for the rest of his life - he'll lose his mind.

He has to end this.

Easier said than done, but not an impossible task. Luo Fumeng would not advise him to pursue a divorce but if she found out he was unhappy, she would surely understand. She too has been in a marriage that nearly destroyed her heart.

Wen Kexing can't stay married to a man determined to stay on a path of self-destruction. He refuses.

Wen Kexing sighed, closing his eyes as he sank deeper in the bath's warm water.

It's a shame, for he is quite fond of his husband. Even in his despair, Zhou Zishu had moments where he would truly look at Wen Kexing and smile, talk to him as if he genuinely wanted him around. Zhou Zishu confuses him a lot. Breaking off the marriage will not only save his sanity, but his heart as well. And maybe, just maybe, if the marriage is broken - Zhou Zishu can find his happiness in being without chains, able to go back to Han Ying and continue their quiet affair without any worry.

The mere thought had fire licking at his ribs 

His husband could finally be happy.

"Husband?" 

Wen Kexing startled, shooting up from his slouch state to sit properly. He caught the clear peach blossom eyes of Zhou Zishu, who stood before him, eyes roaming his naked chest. Wen Kexing cleared his throat, strangely feeling flustered.

"Is something the matter, dear?" Wen Kexing questioned, a little surprised when he noticed that Zhou Zishu had half of his hair down, the other half pulled up, held by a leather cuff.

It looked - nice, actually. It was the first time he had ever seen Zhou Zishu wear his hair like that and it looked really nice on him. Softer.

Zhou Zishu said nothing at first, kneeling down next the bath before reaching a hand out to tuck a lock of silver behind Wen Kexing's ear. His hand lingered for a moment, knuckles brushing the shell of his ear briefly before trailing down. Fingers took a light hold of Wen Kexing's chin and held him there. 

Lips softly touched his own, like caressing the petals of rose against them. It was the first time Zhou Zishu had kissed him since the whole mess had started. He couldn't help the small tear that fell, having missed the intimate touch of another. He missed how sweetly Zhou Zishu would always kiss him, like he was of precious value.

He didn't want to let Zhou Zishu go. He knew he should - but he genuinely wanted to keep him. They could have been happy, if only his husband's heart did not belong to another.

Oh how cruel the world was.

Zhou Zishu leaned back, the kiss breaking, his brows furrowing as he moved his hand to wipe away the stray tear away with his thumb, "Why does my husband weep?"

Wen Kexing gave a wet laugh, shaking his head with a sigh, "It feels as though I should be asking you this, instead."

"I weep for what I could never have," Zhou Zishu confessed, his clear eyes becoming misty once more, "I weep for a dream out of reach."

"I weep for wanting something that is not mine to have," Wen Kexing admitted, his voice failing him as it cracks, "I weep for it will never be enough, regardless of how hard I try."

Zhou Zishu retreated his hand, appearing conflicted, that same look he had on their wedding night. Wen Kexing finally realized what it was.

Guilt.

He stood from the bath, uncaring of his bare body exposed, and grabbed himself a towel to wrap around himself. His husband stared as he did so but it was hardly a problem - Zhou Zishu has seen his body bare in a variety of positions before. Wen Kexing walked out from the wash area and went straight for his wardrobe, taking out a fresh inner robe to put on.

"Husband?"

Wen Kexing sighed, closing his eyes for a second as he tied his robe closed. He opened them when he finished, turning his attention back to Wen Kexing.

"I think it's time to stop this whole charade.*


 

"I think it's time we stop this whole charade."

It seemed like life was trying to give him a heart attack, kill him with every punishing blow to it's already frail state. Life just kept taking and taking from him - first his parents, then his freedom, Han Ying soon after and now it's trying to take away his husband; the only thing he has left.

Zhou Zishu refused to believe this was happening, did not want to grasp the idea of such a cruel world. 

"I don't understand," Zhou Zishu shook his head, "What charade? End what? I don't - what are you - why would you say…?"

"Husband," Wen Kexing sighed, his arms crossed in an almost defensive manner over his chest, his silver hair still dripping from the bath.

He'll catch a cold if he doesn't dry it, Zhou Zishu noted, his fingers itching to reach out and ring the water out from the ends.

"This marriage, I don't think it's best if it continues," His husband spoke his words slowly, cautiously, as if trying to find better words to phrase what he meant.

Zhou Zishu understood. He did not agree. Far from it.

"No," Zhou Zishu immediately denied, shaking his head. This wasn't happening. "No, no, I don't know why you're saying this and I don't want to know. Maybe you're just tired and not thinking straight. Why don't you lay down and have a nap or I can ask the servants to bring you tea to help you relax. How about ---"

"Husband," Wen Kexing spoke softly, pitifully, as if approaching a wild animal. Zhou Zishu could see his doe eyes gentle sympathetically, "Please, just ---"

"No!" Zhou Zishu flinched at how loud his voice came out, feeling bad when Wen Kexing closed his eyes at the sound, brows furrowed as if his head hurt. 

Maybe he just had a headache? That's right, his head hurt - his husband needs to rest. He doesn't know what he's saying, he's too tired to be making such rash decisions. 

Zhou Zishu hastily made his way over to Wen Kexing and lightly placed his hands over his upper arms. He smiled, though it felt weird - off - somehow.

"Husband, please, just rest okay?" Zhou Zishu urged, guiding Wen Kexing to the bed. His husband did not put up a fight, though Zhou Zishu chose to ignore the strange look his husband gave him.

"If I sleep," Wen Kexing started, doing as told to lay on the bed, eyeing Zhou Zishu like he were a newly made orphan, "When I wake, my decision will only stay the same."

Zhou Zishu paused for a moment before resuming his task of pulling the covers over Wen Kexing, lightly tucking him in. He hadn't realized his hands were trembling until Wen Kexing caught them and held them within his own.

"I need you to let me go," Wen Kexing whispered, his voice softer than the loud pumping of his own heartbeat in his ears.

"No," Zhou Zishu muttered back, his eyes stinging, "I won't - I can't - I need you."

"You don't need me," It hurt to hear his husband's doubt, "You just need to stop feeling so alone."

"If you leave," Zhou Zishu hated how hard it was to breathe, "I have nothing."

"There are days where you make me feel like I'm nothing," Wen Kexing swallowed, his eyes glazed, a weak smile upon his rosy lips, "I don't want to continue feeling like that."

Zhou Zishu didn't know how to explain it. He didn't hate his husband, despite feeling bitter towards him some days. But he never intentionally meant to cause him any harm. He cared for Wen Kexing, but it was hard to show it when his broken heart feared taking another blow. He has said some cruel things, but Zhou Zishu figured it was better than letting him hurt him first. He was tired of being hurt.

His husband was tired of hurting too.

Zhou Zishu choked down a sob, taking Wen Kexing's hand to hide his face against a thin wrist.

"You're my everything," Zhou Zishu managed to get out, "If you left, what would I have left? I can't lose you. Please, please A' Xing, I'll be better. I'll do better. I'll - I'll - I ---"

Breathing was so hard.


 

Wen Kexing woke up to a light kiss placed upon his forehead.

He gave a small yawn, blinking his eyes open, catching the hyper attentive gaze of his husband. Zhou Zishu looked at him with clear eyes, wide and open, staring at him rather than through him.

"Husband?" Wen Kexing questioned, a bit suspicious on why his husband was just staring at him as he slept.

Zhou Zishu smiled, his bottom lip trembling momentarily, "You're awake."

Wen Kexing gave a slow nod, confused.

"Let's go to the market," Zhou Zishu randomly sprouted out, instantly sitting up. The sudden movement surprised Wen Kexing, more so when Zhou Zishu tugged on his hand to get him up.

"Ah, ah, Husband?" Wen Kexing stopped Zhou Zishu by tugging his hand back, making Zhou Zishu sit back on the bed, "What has gotten into you? I just woke up, what is the rush?"

Zhou Zishu pursed his lips, looking close to a pout. Wen Kexing wonders if this is it - he's officially crazy. Zhou Zishu was just in a state of denial last night from when he had said - oh.

Oh.

Wen Kexing sighed, now he understands why his husband is in a state of border mania. 

He's not actually going to leave Zhou Zishu.

As much as rationality insists that he does - he can't. Wen Kexing physically could not bring it in himself to simply just leave. He thought he could. Yesterday, he had been sure he could leave. But then Zhou Zishu was in a state of distress and denial, adamant that he could not go, refused to leave his side the entire night and caressed his hair until he eventually caved and slept.

No, Wen Kexing could not leave. He did not want to. Something inside of him wanted his husband to plead for him to stay, wanted his husband to panic and refuse his divorce case, wanted his husband to admit he wanted him back.

It was selfish, but Wen Kexing had always been.

"We're not going to the market," Wen Kexing firmly said. 

Zhou Zishu's eyes widened, panic seemed to start forming and Wen Kexing shook his head, leaning forward to lightly touch their lips together. He felt Zhou Zishu give out a slow breath, hands coming up to cup his face. When he pulled back, Wen Kexing smiled as best as he could.

"I don't feel like going out today," Wen Kexing rephrased, releasing his husband's face from his grasp, "I want us to spend time together here. Let's talk. Tell me things that I don't know about you. We've been married for a while but I don't really know you. Won't you just talk to me?"

Zhou Zishu's lips parted in wonder for a moment before giving a small, weak smile of his own back. He nodded, swallowing before giving out a small sigh of relief, something akin to hope shining in his eyes.

"Okay, yeah okay," Zhou Zishu agreed, taking Wen Kexing's hand in his own, "Let's talk."

The air was still a bit tensed, but they both chose to ignore it in favor of asking each other questions and discussing their differences in growing up. It started off awkward at first, but Wen Kexing was pleased to know that the more they talked, the more they both seemed to grow at ease. Throughout it all, they kept their hands locked, fingers entangled.

Wen Kexing does not want to leave.

He wants to learn to love.

He wants his husband to love him back.