Actions

Work Header

Home and the Heartland

Summary:

It was luck that Lan Wangji heard of the plan to confront Wei Wuxian in the Qiongqi Path. It was instinct that had made him accompany Jin Zixuan to suppress any violence from the encounter. It was years of musical cultivation that had turned his ear to a second flute. A second flute intent on changing the course of all their lives.

With the flute's owner in the custody of both Lan Wangji and Jin Zixuan, Wei Wuxian is called to give an account of the incident in Jinlintai, in front of the friends and family he had been hoping to reconcile with. As truths are revealed, Wei Wuxian is confined to the Burial Mounds under the protection of the Lan Clan of Gusu with Lan Wangji acting as personal guard to him and the Wens.

Leading a simpler life, friendships are tested and strengthened, truths are spoken and feelings revealed, teaching all touched by the events that family is strongest when you build it together.

Notes:

Hello. Back again (you can't get rid of me). This was going to be my fic for a forthcoming event but things changed and instead I'm posting outside of it. Thanks must go to the wonderful sketch_a_doodle (find them on Instagram) who provided the two beautiful art works you will see in this story and tinywriterfairy (find them on twitter) who has been a brilliant cheer leader/beta for this story. Also thanks to YilingJessa and many others who have given me so much support when I've wobbled on this story.

I hope you enjoy the journey we're going on now, please let me know if you do.

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Chapter 1: A Second Flute

Chapter Text

Lan Wangji had woken with a hollow feeling in his stomach. Not unusual when he travelled, the food never truly to his tastes, or the company for that matter. He refused however to put it down to any sort of anxiety of having the chance to see Wei Wuxian again, remembering all too well the tattered robes and too skinny frame he had left behind in the Burial Mounds, determined to see through whatever he thought he could achieve with a rag-tag band of Wens and a strange new cultivation. He would not admit to the anticipation that had travelled with him from Gusu, the restless night filled with dreams of teasing eyes and shameless words until the one dream that had woken him with a shout.

He had been unable to sleep after the nightmare had woken him, seeing the broken, bloodied body of his dearest friend each time he closed his eyes. Even meditation failed to bring him any comfort, knowing he would not rest until he had seen Wei Wuxian safely arrive in Jinlintai and leave again to the relative safety of the Burial Mounds.

The hollowness and the dreams should have been his first warnings that something was amiss but he had instead put them down to his own lingering anxiety and begun his day as he normally would.
The attendees for their morning sword forms had been thinner on the ground than usual.

It was not wholly unexpected but that didn’t make it any less disappointing. When Lan Xichen had told Lan Wangji he planned to take a group of far younger disciples with them to Lanling for the one month celebration of Jin Ling’s birth, he had first thought it would be good for them. A chance to learn the expected etiquette for such celebrations as well as an opportunity to make connections with other clans as they all continued rebuilding after the war. What he had not considered were the temptations not all of them would be able to resist, the Jin Sect not modest in their generosity or the opportunities for mischief that Lanling offered.

Lan Wangji was sure many of the absences were due to sore heads and he would need to ensure a suitably quiet space could be provided to allow for the more wayward of the disciples to serve their punishments for the infringements of their rules. He was sure his brother would put the punishment off until after the main celebrations though and Lan Wangji found himself grateful that he would not need to oversee it, hoping that Wei Wuxian did indeed mean to attend as he had been invited to.

He had thought to head out and meet him, provide a companion for him to walk into Lanling with but, though his brother indulged their friendship far more than their uncle did, he knew he would be expected to maintain a measured distance from the man the cultivation world spoke of in hushed, frightened tones. At least he would be able to see him, make sure he was still managing well enough in the sparse place he now called home. He allowed himself a small smile as he thought not just of Wei Wuxian but of young A-Yuan as well, the small box of books he had carried from Gusu suitable for a child of his age to begin a more formal education with.

Still, despite the happiness of the day and the prospect of seeing his friend once more, Lan Wangji could not shift the strange sense of foreboding in his gut. He put it down to the fact that he would need to interact with individuals whose company he found undesirable at the best of times, not least when alcohol was involved, and also the thought of Wei Wuxian being insulted and having to bear it in an effort to continue his protection of the small group Wen Remnants in the Burial Mounds. He was sure the tension would lessen when Wei Wuxian finally arrived. Though the man brought with him his own set of frustrations, there was something in his presence that always made Lan Wangji feel at ease in a room full of people rather than on edge as it had always done in the past.

As he moved through the gilded halls of Jinlintai, the strange feeling only increased, the fine hairs on the back of his neck standing on end and his hand aching from the grip he had around Bichen. There was a scurrying, panicked sense to the air, as though something was waiting to happen. He caught the occasional look from one of the servants, used to their stares since his early teens when mothers and aunties would nudge each other and young women giggle when he passed, but these were different, worried, anxious, even strangely sympathetic and his mind turned leaps as he tried to fathom just what was being hidden from him.

He heard familiar voices ahead, two of their younger disciples who were often together. Lan Wangji had a fondness for them, one of them earnest and forthright whilst the other would lose his own ears were they not permanently attached to the sides of his head, his friend often trailing him with reminders and spares of whatever he had forgotten he needed.

'Hanguang-Jun,' they both chorused with neat bows as they saw him, 'Good morning.'

'Good morning,' he replied, 'You were not at training this morning.'

The smaller of the two shook his head, ribbon falling askew before his friend straightened it absently. Lan Wangji felt the correction on his lips but failed to speak it as the words that followed made the strange sensation in his gut turn into a wild, churning thing.

'We were going to go with the others to Qiongqi Path but I forgot my sword and…'

'Qiongqi Path?' said Lan Wangji, 'Why Qiongqi Path?'

'The Jin disciples said it would be a training exercise with Jin-Gongzi. Zewu-Jun said we should look for opportunities to study other styles when we came here.

'Both of you, go to Zewu-Jun, tell him about the training exercise. Go now.'

He did not wait for them to bow before they left him, instead hurrying through the corridors in the hope of finding somewhere suitable to mount his sword.

Qiongqi Path would be Wei Wuxian's route to Jinlintai and, if the Jin disciples were heading there on a training exercise, he could only imagine what could occur. He wrenched his thoughts from the images his mind threw up, rubbing a fist against the agonising fear in his stomach at what could befall his friend.

A flash of hurried gold robes ahead caught his attention, Jin Zixuan also in a rush it seemed to reach the door and any hope that Lan Wangji had entertained that the Jin-Gongzi the disciples had spoken of would be him was swept aside knowing that it was Jin Zixun and his ever growing grudge against Wei Wuxian that would be leading the so called training exercise.

'Jin-Gongzi!' he called out, quickening his feet to reach his side, 'I have just heard...,'

'My cousin has gone to Qiongqi Path,' said Jin Zixuan, cutting him off, 'I do not know what he intends. He has taken many of our disciples.'

'And a contingent of ours,' said Lan Wangji, 'Wei Wuxian will pass that way.'

'That is what I am afraid of,' said Jin Zixuan, 'I need...this will not end well.'

'Then we must be swift,' said Lan Wangji.

Talk was unnecessary as they flew the short distance, the sound of a battle increasing their pace as it reached them. Lan Wangji's heart had chosen to beat in his throat, rather than his chest, certain it would cut off any words even if he tried to speak them. It seemed not to beat in an effort to force his blood to flow but instead to repeat a name over and over again.

Wei Ying. Wei Ying

He saw the flash of sword glare over the ridge. Too many swords, too many people even if Wei Wuxian had emptied the Burial Mounds to attend his nephew's celebration.

As the scene came into view, he saw the solitary figure of Wen Ning battling far too many for any normal man to face. The shrill tones of Wei Ying’s flute cut through the air but Lan Wangji could hear the desperation in it, the music unfamiliar but defensive rather than offensive. The notes held pleas for protection, for force but not enough to kill. It was the music of a man fighting for his life rather than willingly taking others, however unorthodox the method.

Though the battle was fierce, his own young disciples amongst them, his eyes fell instead on the two in the ravine, Jin Zixun’s face twisted into an ugly snarl of anger as he screamed at Wei Wuxian.
Too thin. Trembling. Eyes pinched in concentration and fear.

Lan Wangji was sure where anyone else would see the feared Yiling Patriarch in his finest black and crimson robes, the haunting Chenqing at his lips. He could only see a man who fought day after day to survive, a man fighting to survive the next few moments even when faced with insurmountable odds.

Jin Zixun raised his sword, intent clear, but Jin Zixuan quickly landed between them, turning on his cousin as Lan Wangji placed himself closer to Wei Wuxian.

'Wei Ying,' he said, seeing him flinch as Jin Zixun and Jin Zixuan argued, 'Wei Ying, stop Wen Ning.'

'Did you know?' hissed Wei Wuxian through his teeth, 'Did you know about this?'

'Do you think I would have let this happen if I did?' said Lan Wangji, 'Wei Ying…'

The faintest crack pulled Wei Wuxian's attention, his eyes flying to something shattered in Jin Zixun’s hand, the remnants scattering to the ground. With a flash of fury in his eyes, Wei Wuxian launched himself towards Jin Zixun, Chenqing wielded as he had once held Suibian. The blow was quickly blocked by Jin Zixuan and Lan Wangji grabbed hold of Wei Wuxian's wrist if only in the hope of avoiding a fight between the two men that would be the death knell for any reconciliation.

'Wei Ying,' he said, memories of a similar situation so many months before pressing on his mind, 'Cool down. Calm down.'

'Wei Wuxian, enough!' snapped Jin Zixuan, glancing up at the battle that still raged on the ridge, 'Call off Wen Ning. Stop this madness. This will only make things worse.'

'Why should I get him to stop?' said Wei Wuxian, the tremor in his voice barely masked by his anger, 'Tell them to stop first.'

'Why must you always be so tough?' said Jin Zixuan, 'Come back with us to Jinlintai, let's talk this through. If you have done nothing wrong there is nothing to fear.'

'Nothing to fear?' said Wei Wuxian, 'The second Wen Ning stops, they'll kill me. A thousand arrows will pin me to the floor and you will all congratulate yourselves…'

'Wei Ying,' said Lan Wangji, placing himself between the pair, 'You know that is not true. Jin-Gongzi means no harm. Call off Wen Ning. We can still save the situation.'

'Or they will finally finish what they came to do.'

'Do you think I would let them?'

Lan Wangji had never heard such passionate words from his own lips. Even when he had defended Wei Wuxian in front of the clans he had not spoken with such emotion. Now though, the promise came from the very heart of him. A promise he knew would end either with Wei Wuxian safe or the pair of them struck down side by side by the arrows Wei Wuxian so feared. He saw the shock in his friend's eyes that slowly turned to resignation before he sighed.

'I know you would not.'

The reply filled him with warmth that chased away a little of the fear that was in him but it flooded him once more as Wei Wuxian raised Chenqing to his lips.

'If any of you move, I am not responsible,' he hissed before his eyes closed and he began to play once more.

There was a terrifying shout from above, the earth trembling beneath their boots at the sound of it but then the fighting ceased and Lan Wangji could see the black-clad figure of Wen Ning fall still above them.

As Wei Wuxian's haunting melody continued to play, a strange stillness came over them but Lan Wangji could see the anxiety on Jin Zixuan's face, the man clearly interpreting the continued music as a threat.

'Wei Wuxian, why can you not do as you are asked?' he said, face hardening as Wei Wuxian's eyes remained shut and he continued to play.

It was in the stillness that Lan Wangji heard it, the notes low and haunting but not blown from Chenqing.

'A second flute!'

It was the only warning he could give, his ear better attuned to the second melody once he had found it and hearing the malice beneath. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Wen Ning jump down from the ridge but he knew to turn back and fight him would be folly.

'Jin Zixuan! Mind your back!' he cried before he turned his attention to the music.

A shadowed outcrop of rocks held his answer, the figure there almost completely hidden by shadow but the music was more than enough to guide Lan Wangji even in the dead of the night. He reached out, grabbing the musician by the collar before pulling them into the light, knocking the flute from his hands as he heard Wei Wuxians cry from behind.

He turned to see Wen Ning deathly still, so close to Jin Zixuan that, if he had landed a blow, it would have been easily fateful. Instead, he was motionless, allowing Wei Wuxian the chance to pull Jin Zixuan away from danger and place himself between his friend and his martial sister's husband.

The person whose collar he held wriggled, pulling back his attention, and the anger that had been simmering in him since the moment he realised Wei Wuxian was in danger was only compounded as he realised just who had been the second musician in the valley.

The musician intent, he was sure, on turning the events into a tragedy.

'Su She.'

Chapter 2: Jinlintai

Notes:

Featuring the most gorgeous art from sketch_a_doodle (find them on instagram)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

He didn't know what was happening.

From the moment he had felt the unease that had preceded the appearance of Jin Zixun to the flurry of white that had brought Lan Wangji and Jin Zixuan into the fray, he had not truly known what was happening. Now he stood, his own body placed between the group that held both friend and foe and the trembling, frantically apologising Wen Ning, trying to make sense of the moments that had passed before.

A second flute.

Lan Wangji had shouted about a second flute before dragging a man Wei Wuxian was sure he recognised but could not put a name to from the shadows of the rocks. Now, the man stood bound along with several of those Wen Ning had been fighting when they refused to stand down. LanlingJin, not GusuLan, Wei Wuxian noted absently. All those who owed Lan Wangji their fealty as the brother of the Sect Leader had soon fallen into silent ranks, pale faced and nervous under Hanguang-Jun's quiet fury.

'Wei Ying.'

The soft, familiar voice pulled him from his thoughts, elegant white robes obscuring the others as Lan Wangji stood before him.

'Lan Zhan.'

He wasn’t sure what he was trying to say, the world still too tilted, his mind reeling from the attack. They had prepared for it. Wen Qing had insisted that he take Wen Ning as protection but something had gone wrong, he had lost control, as they had warned him he would but then there was the second flute. The second flute in the hands of the man now trembling and spewing excuses to Jin Zixuan whose usually haughty, impassive face had been flicking between worry and fury and relief in equal measure before Lan Wangji had obscured him from view.

'Lan Zhan.'

'Come to Jinlintai,' said Lan Wangji, 'An account should be given. A disaster was averted today.'

Hands grasped tighter at his robes, Wen Ning's whimper soon meeting his ears.

'Wei-Gongzi!'

'I need…' began Wei Wuxian, 'Let me take him back then I will come. I give you my word, Lan Zhan.'

'I do not doubt it,' said Lan Wangji, 'But he was a part of this. I promise that neither of you will come to harm. You will be under my protection until we get to the bottom of what happened here today.'

'And if they still blame us…'

'They will not, Wei Gongzi. I cannot see any evidence that you began the fight.'

'Zixuan!'

Wei Wuxian heard the crack of Lan Wangji's knuckles as he tightened his hand around Bichen at the sound of Jin Zixun's voice.

'You cannot believe this...this…'

'All will give an account,' said Jin Zixuan, 'And all will be heard. The truth of this will be discovered. Wei Gongzi, I give you my word, you will have safe passage in and out of Jinlintai. Besides, A-Li is waiting for you.'

'Shijie,' said Wei Wuxian, shifting his gaze once more to Lan Wangji and seeing the slight nod that said more than words, 'Will you allow us a moment?'

Lan Wangji nodded, 'We will not go far.'

'Thank you,' said Wei Wuxian, waiting until Lan Wangji had herded the others further away, Jin Zixun the only one to offer any resistance.

'Wen Ning, stand up,' he said, grabbing him by the collar and dragging him to his feet when he failed to do so, 'Wen Qionglin! Stand up or they'll forever keep you under heel. Tell me what happened. Why did you ignore me?'

'Wei-Gongzi, I did not mean to,' said Wen Ning, 'I don’t know...I heard another flute. I knew it wasn't yours but I could not resist. I'm sorry. You should punish me. If they see you punish me perhaps they…'

'I will not punish you for something you could not control,' said Wei Wuxian, his heart twisting beneath his ribs as he realised how easily his friend had been manipulated, 'It is I who should apologise. I should not have brought you. I did not consider the risk.'

'If I had not come, that arrow would have killed you.'

The words hit as hard as any arrow could. If he had been killed, the Wens would have been defenceless, their home soon overwhelmed and destroyed. The lucky ones would have been killed instantly, the others would find themselves tortured, enslaved, farmed out as play things for those cruel enough to treat other human beings as chattel. His heart seized in his chest as his mind cast horrible visions of them led away in chains, A-Yuan tied with rope when no manacle was small enough to hold him.

'Wei-Gongzi?'

'Wei Ying.'

A strong hand on his arm dragged him back from his darkening thoughts, Lan Zhan's eyes still sharp from the battle but softening with concern.

'We should go,' he said, 'It does not do well to delay.'

'The Burial Mounds,' said Wei Ying, 'The others.'

'Does your warning talisman work from this far?' asked Lan Wangji.

Wei Wuxian patted down his clothes, finding the talisman tucked in its usual place but his fingers brushed the box of the shop bought pendant, the secondary gift for his new nephew. He felt the swell of anger as he thought of the destroyed bracelet he had intended to attach it to, each hand carved bead made with love and care. A proper gift for one so precious but all he would have to offer was a trinket if he even got close enough to Jiang Yanli and her son to give them over.

'It will work,' he said, 'Lan Zhan, if anything happens to me…'

'You will be fine,' said Lan Wangji, 'Come.'

'If anything happens…'

'They will be well. I will not let the innocent be blamed.'

Wei Wuxian nodded, turning his attention to the odd group before him, some already blots on the horizon, bearing the bodies of those killed in the skirmish. Killed by Wen Ning during the battle and he could not shake the fear that the blood and the guilt would be forced onto them both, regardless of who had begun the fight or where the true guilt lay.

Others were beginning to walk on, the Lan disciples looking contrite whilst the Jin disciples wavered between confusion and anger as their two seniors argued quietly. The man with the flute, that Wei Wuxian still could not name, was bound and wailing. The Lan disciples who were so disciplined even in battle, heavy handed and almost cruel as they forced him to his feet and back towards Jinlintai.

Wei Wuxian fell into step with them all, Wen Ning hesitant but following behind without complaint. Despite Lan Wangji’s presence at his side, he could not shake the feeling that he was walking to his own execution and dragging every innocent soul from Burial Mounds with him. His fingers tightened around Chenqing, his mind turning to Jinlintai and the many twists and turns that made up the interior, trying to remember the escape routes and hoping he could make use of them if the need arose, even if only to get Wen Ning out. Out and back to the Burial Mounds where he could help those waiting on their return.

He hoped they could run, get as far away from the people who hunted them for their name, to a place where they could find safety at last. He had done what he could but in his need to keep some connection to the world that had raised him, he had not led them far enough away, instead taking refuge in the place that had forged him into what he was without mercy. It had been enough for a refuge, a place to regroup once they had stolen out into the rain, the blood of the guards flowing around them like water. For too long though, they had been trying to build a home, to coax life from barren land, to live when they should have been running, putting land and water and whatever else they could between themselves and the world that hunted them.

If he had been anything of the man he had once wanted to be, he would have seen them to safety and disappeared with them, used what was left of his power to keep them hidden. When he had been offered the first shred of hope that he could return to his old life, he had taken it without thought, only for it to turn into the first strike of their demise.

The walk was long and silent, the only voice being that of the man Lan Wangji had pulled from the shadows, but his pleas were directed to Jin Zixuan and too far ahead for Wei Wuxian to hear. He longed for chatter, for some sort of noise to distract him from the thoughts running through his head but with Lan Wangji at his side and Wen Ning at his back, conversation was an unlikely prospect.

'How is the village?'

Wei Wuxian shook his head, turning towards Lan Wangji, certain he had heard his voice but his eyes were focused on the road rather than waiting for an answer.

'Wei Ying?'

Cool eyes turned to him, only the slightest furrow of his brow giving Wei Wuxian any indication that the first question could be more than just a figment of his imagination.

'How is the village?'

'Village?' he said, cursing the deepening of the furrow in Lan Wangji's brow at the question.

'The Burial Mounds,' said Lan Wangji, 'Are all well?'

'Oh. Yes. Yes. Good,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Wen Popo had a cold but it passed quickly. We managed to get the ingredients Wen Qing needed for the remedy without too much trouble. A-Yuan was worried.'

'I hope he did not take ill.'

Wei Wuxian allowed himself a small smile at the thought of the youngest member of their band.

'No, he's strong despite...he's strong,' he said, 'We made sure he had extra to eat to ward off anything and Wen Qing made up an elixir to help as well.'

'That is good,' said Lan Wangji, 'I have some books for him. He is of an age to start lessons. I thought they would not be a priority for you to purchase.'

'Ah Lan Zhan, you've not sent the boy all three thousand rules to copy and memorise have you?' said Wei Wuxian, 'Hasn't he been punished enough?'

'He would do well with structure,' said Lan Wangji, 'He should have a strong education. To know of the world.'

'Not to grow radishes,' said Wei Wuxian, 'His world is small, Lan Zhan, and it will always be small. It would be cruel to make him think otherwise.'

'It is not cruel to think of his betterment.'

'Betterment?' said Wei Wuxian, the word bitter on his tongue, 'Have you forgotten the name he bears? He should hope for anonymity, not betterment. The world will not allow him to rise.'

'Wei Ying…'

'Let's not argue, Lan Zhan,' he said, offering him a small smile, 'It has been months since I saw you last and the reunion has been strange enough as it is. Is there much news I don't know? The gossip is rather slow where I am.'

'The birth of your nephew has mostly dominated I believe,' said Lan Wangji, 'Jin-Xiandu has ensured word has reached every quarter.'

Wei Wuxian smirked. 'I'm sure he has implied he is both father and mother and laboured with him himself.'

Lan Wangji gave him a sideways glance, eyes briefly flashing with something Wei Wuxian would call mischief on any other man. 'Mn,' he said, 'The notion is catching it seems.'

The words took a moment to settle in Wei Wuxian's mind before they spirited him back to a day that seemed both a lifetime and only moments before when he had found A-Yuan wrapped tightly around his friend's leg. His own words quickly played back again, the playful tease that had brought such a look of confusion to Lan Wangji's face, and he laughed, muffling the sound with his hand so as not to be heard by those in front of them.

'That was almost a joke, Lan Zhan,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I did not think you were capable of such things.'

Though Lan Wangji said nothing, Wei Wuxian could not miss the subtle upturn of his lips before his face settled once more into the more familiar impassive mask. It was a balm though, a reminder that there were still people who cared for him beyond the barriers of the Burial Mounds. He could only hope more were waiting.

He saw the question settle on Lan Wangji's face before understanding dawned, a small nod preceding his words.

'Come. They are waiting for you.'

Though the rest of the journey was long and strange, it felt necessary, even if he knew there was much more behind the attack than Jin Zixuan's arrogant cousin and the man in white that made Lan Wangji's face pinch whenever he glanced in his direction. They had reached the outskirts of the city when Jin Zixuan sent several runners ahead before stepping back to walk beside Lan Wangji.

'Lan Er-Gongzi,' he said, 'I have sent word ahead for everyone to gather in the Glamour Hall. I will ask that your account be heard first. Wei-Gongzi, you will be asked to speak as well.'

'Will I be heard?' he replied, softening his tone as Lan Wangji's hand closed around his wrist, 'I am unused to anyone listening to my words within those walls.'

Jin Zixuan nodded, regret replacing the usual haughtiness of his expression. 'You will be heard,' he said, 'You have my word.'

'Thank you, Jin-Gongzi,' said Lan Wangji, his fingers tightening around Wei Wuxian's wrist before he let go, 'And, until this is settled, I would like it known that Wei Ying, Wen Qionglin and all those in the Burial Mounds are under the protection of the Lan Clan. I trust Jin-Xiandu will not offend so many years of friendship between our clans.'

'I'm sure he will not,' said Jin Zixuan, confusion marring his face as he looked between the pair of them before he looked back to the front of the group, 'I should keep an eye on the others and I will try to arrange for a few moments for Wei-Gongzi to see A-Li before anything begins.'

'Shijie,' breathed Wei Wuxian, the mention of her chasing away even the strange feeling of Lan Wangji so quickly offering whatever protection he could not only to him but the Wens as well, members of the clan who had slaughtered so many of his own and destroyed so much of the beauty that had been the Cloud Recesses, 'I don’t want her involved in this. It will upset her.'

'I will try to keep her away from the main discussion,' said Jin Zixuan, 'But when it comes to you, she is not easily dissuaded. If she insists on being there, I will not deny her.'

The words were spoken with pride and no little resignation, and the permanent state of annoyance Wei Wuxian had always felt for the Jin heir faded into something akin to understanding, knowing all too well the iron will that lay beneath the gentleness of Jiang Yanli. At a loss for an answer, Wei Wuxian instead nodded, looking behind him to where Wen Ning still trailed, unkempt and quiet after the fight he had been forced into.

'Lan Zhan…'

'Go,' said Lan Wangji, before he could finish, 'You should speak, understand fully what happened to him.'

It felt vulnerable to step away from him, from the presence that inspired quiet and respect, from the security of Bichen in the hand that knew how to wield it but he did so all the same, falling back to Wen Ning's side and laying a comforting touch to his arm as he flinched at the sudden presence.

'Jin Zixuan has asked for everyone to give an account of what happened at Qiongqi Path,' he said, 'And I can only say what I saw. All I know for certain is that we did not begin it, you defended us and then, when I wished to bring things to an end, the other flute wrested control of you.'

Wen Ning dropped his head, his voice small as he spoke. 'I am sorry, Wei-Gongzi,' he said, 'I did not mean to disobey you.'

'I know you didn't,' said Wei Wuxian, 'You should not apologise for it. I didn't think anyone else would be able to control you like that. Can you tell me anything? Anything that was different, any intention in the commands you heard.'

Wen Ning shook his head, 'All I am sure of is that I heard two flutes,' he said, 'And I was unable to resist the commands that told me to keep fighting and then...'

'What?' prompted Wei Wuxian as Wen Ning fell silent, 'What then?'

Wen Ning's voice fell further, the words spoke so quietly even Wei Wuxian struggled to hear them and wishing he had not when they finally reached his ear.

'They were going to die,' said Wen Ning, 'Jin-Gongzi, Lan Er-Gongzi. The command was their death.'

His guts were already raw, the fear and trauma of the battle already twisting in the depths of him, but Wen Ning's words brought with it a fresh wave of nausea. He could only imagine what the scene could have been had Lan Wangji not found the second flute, if he had not arrived at Jin Zixuan's side, if the command Wei Wuxian had managed to give to still Wen Ning had fallen on deaf ears.

His head was spinning as he threw a hand over his mouth, the gesture not enough to stop the meagre contents of his stomach from spilling forth and he knew, in another life and in another time, he would have taken great pleasure in desecrating the elegant topiaries of Lanling. As it was, he could barely keep his feet as his mind chose to furnish him with image after bloody image, Jin Zixuan and Lan Wangji's bodies laid in the dust beside his boots. He flinched as a large, strong hand came to rest against his back, rubbing gently as he took several shuddering breaths to recover himself.

'Wei Ying?'

'I'm alright,' he said, 'Just...nothing. It is what it is. This is what it is.'

'An unfortunate situation,' said Lan Wangji, hand moving to Wei Wuxian's arm as he straightened and only letting go when he was certain he was once more steady on his feet, 'We are lucky it wasn't worse.'

'Yet,' said Wei Wuxian, unsure if it was the words or the remaining bile that was bitter on his tongue, 'Lan Zhan, remember your promise.'

'I will remember it.'

Wei Wuxian turned to face him, his mind at once turning Lan Wangji's brilliant eyes lifeless and blank, bathing the handsome face he had so often teased him for in blood. He blinked back the tears the image brought, reaching out to squeeze his wrist if only to reassure himself of his warmth, of the leap of a pulse beneath his fingers.

'Wei Ying?'

'Lan Zhan,' he said, 'Thank you.'

Lan Wangji frowned but then the smallest upturn of his lips replaced it. 'You are welcome.'

The rest of the journey was silent but Wei Wuxian did not need words, the warm line of his friend walking so close to his side more than words could say. He resisted the urge to press into it as they began to climb the steps of Jinlintai, the guards seeming to press in on him despite not moving from their posts, too many to fight if it came to it even with Wen Ning's strength. Wei Wuxian knew he would be better to disable his friend rather than encourage him to fight if it came to it, the power he thought was solely his own wielded once already by another and there were too many within the walls of the tower that he cared for to take any risk.

'Lan Er-Gongzi,' said Jin Zixuan, pausing until they reached him, 'Wei-Gongzi, I cannot give you long, my father will demand answers quickly. If you take that path there, I will send A-Li to you. It would be best if Wen-Gongzi…'

'Stays with me,' said Wei Wuxian, cutting him off, 'Wen Ning stays with me.'

'Wei Ying,' said Lan Wangji, his voice carrying enough of a warning to cool Wei Wuxian's next words.

'I would prefer, Jin-Gongzi, that Wen Ning stay with me,' he said, 'I was invited here as a guest, he has come with me as part of that invitation. He should stay with me.'

Jin Zixuan nodded, 'Given the situation, it can be argued it is for the best,' he said, 'I would normally request the disarmament for all those involved but again, given that we do not know if there our others who may choose to effect Wen-Gongzi, I would prefer to know there is someone who may be able to regain control of him.'

Wei Wuxian followed his gaze to where Jin Zixun's sword and the sword and flute of the man Lan Wangji had pulled from the shadows were being held by one of the Jin disciples. Despite the enmity that existed between him and the Jin heir, he recognised the sign of trust when he saw it, especially when Jin Zixuan's own cousin was not granted the same boon. He bowed neatly, letting a hand come to rest around Chenqing as he stood.

'Thank you, Jin-Gongzi.'

'Wei Ying, we should not delay,' said Lan Wangji as several figures began appearing in nearby doorways to watch the scene.

Jin Zixuan waved them towards the path they had indicated once more, Lan Wangji the first to follow it before Wei Wuxian beckoned Wen Ning to follow them both. The path was by no means secret but they did not encounter any resistance as they passed along it, despite the looks and whispers ill-concealed behind hands. He wasn't sure if the ease of their progress was due to people's fear of encountering him and Wen Ning, some quickly spoken message passed along from Jin Zixuan, or the presence of Lan Wangji at his side but he was grateful for whatever reason it was. A little of the tension left him though he still stayed on his guard, ears tuned for the sound of any instrument that could be used to control his friend.

They soon reached a smaller chamber, still as ornate and ostentatious as most offered by the Jin clan, but softened in places and he smiled at the subtle sight of Jiang Yanli's influence. He hovered awkwardly, the bravado of his youth that would have had his hosts finding him sprawled out behind a table or picking through whatever curios that took his interest having long since fled even without Lan Wangji's presence encouraging slightly better behaviour. He paced the floor, hands clasped behind his back one moment, clutching Chenqing at his waist the next before pulling it free and twirling it around in his fingers.

A cool hand closed around his wrist, pulling him to a halt as he made another pass of the room.

'Wei Ying. Relax.'

He blew out a sigh, catching several strands of hair and making them dance for a moment as he forced a smile to his lips. 'I will relax when I am once more away from here.'

'I hope that won't be for a little while at least.'

The voice. The soft, sweet, gentle voice that had calmed so many of Wei Wuxian's tears and rages throughout his life, now cooled his nervous pacing. Drawing him softly from Lan Wangji's side but in a way that did not make him break quickly from the grip on his wrist but instead like the moon calling back the tide.

'Shijie.'

'A-Xian,' said Jaing Yanli, her arms already held out to him, 'You're here.'

It was all he could do to hold back the tears that threatened as she enveloped him in a hug that held a strength that made a lie of her size, steel beneath all the softness that she was. Her face was open and joyful in the moment before Wei Wuxian tucked his chin over her shoulder, hiding his own face from view. How different it could have been though he realised, how her face would have crumpled into the tears that always broke his heart if the man controlling Wen Ning had had his way.

'Shijie,' he said again, holding her tighter but stepping back as she gently pressed on his shoulders.

'A-Xian,' she said, tucking her sleeve over her wrist and gently dabbing at his cheeks with it before wiping away the single crystal tear that had escaped her, 'You're too thin.'

'I'm fine,' he said, 'I promise.'

She frowned but did not press him, instead turning to the two figures silent in the room. 'Lan Er-Gongzi, Wen Gongzi, forgive me. Welcome.'

They both bowed in return, Lan Wangji's neat and perfect as always whilst Wen Ning's was rushed and a little hesitant but she smiled at them both all the same before it fell a little on her face.
'Zixuan said there was trouble,' she said, 'And that something terrible was avoided. Are you all fine? Did anyone get hurt?'

'We're not hurt,' said Wei Wuxian, 'But…'

Jiang Yanli shook her head, 'That's enough for now,' she said, 'I know there will be more but, for now, I am glad that you are all alright. Until then though, someone has been anxious to meet you. A-Cheng?'

Wei Wuxian wondered for a moment why his sister had called him with such gentleness but, as Jiang Cheng stepped into the room, his eyes were immediately drawn to the reason swaddled in blankets woven with golden thread in his arms. His rushed intake of breath echoed through the suddenly too quiet room, certain that or the swish of robes as Lan Wangji and Wen Ning made the unspoken agreement to step away to the farthest corner, would wake the child in his shidi's arms.

'Is this..?' he began despite the redundancy of the question.

'He has been waiting to meet his Da-Jiu for far too long,' said Jiang Yanli, gently lifting the sleeping child from her brother's arms only to place him in Wei Wuxian's trembling ones.

'Da-Jiu? I get to...' he said, before he forgot the remainder of the question, captured instead by the chubby, peaceful face before him, 'Shijie. You made a person. He's a proper person.'

'He is,' said Jiang Yanli, 'What do you think of him?'

'He's perfect,' said Wei Wuxian, 'He's absolutely perfect. I...you made him.'

'Zixuan helped,' said Jiang Yanli.

Wei Wuxian ignored her laugh as he pulled a face at the notion but he soon forgot his disgust at the part the father of the child in his arms had played in his creation, instead losing himself in the chubby cheeks and sleepy expression the boy wore.

'Hello,' he said softly, 'I'm sorry I didn't come sooner. I had a gift for you but I...Shijie, I did have a gift for him but it got broken. I will have a gift for him.'

'You are a gift enough,' said Jiang Yanli, 'No other is needed.'

Wei Wuxian met her soft smile, certain his own was tear stained but genuine nonetheless. He turned at the sound of something rattling behind him, shaking his head fondly as Wen Ning hastily righted the ornament he had knocked. Lan Wangji stood still and serene beside him, watching the scene unfold but in no way a part of it. With a wider smile, Wei Wuxian crossed the room with the baby in his arms, hearing Jiang Yanli's gentle word to still Jiang Cheng.

He came to a stop in front of Wen Ning, wishing the world could see the look that quickly fell over the feared Ghost General's face at the sight of the child.

'His cheeks are chubby, like A-Yuan's,' he said happily, 'Perhaps, one day, they can play together.'

The easily spoken words, the dream that was so easy to think of where they stood in splendour in the world they had been raised in, hung for a moment like something akin to hope but reality soon rushed over Wei Wuxian once more, reminding him that they were mere interlopers on an invitation that was pressing too close to incarceration. He forced a smile to his lips all the same, allowing the dream to linger a little longer.

'Wouldn't that be something,' he said, 'Maybe one day you will have A-Yuan as a playmate, A-Ling.'

The baby's eyes opened, his face crumpling for a moment before he thought better of tears and instead looked up with curiosity at the new faces surrounding him.

'He's as aloof as his father,' said Wei Wuxian, 'A true peacock chick. Are you judging me? What do you think? Is your Da-jiu handsome, A-Ling? Lan Zhan, look don't you think he's sizing us up?'

Lan Wangji did not startle and step away as Wei Wuxian had thought he would when he pressed close with the baby, instead peering down at the child, two serious silent faces regarding one another. He smiled at the sight, the familiar gentleness he had seen in the strangely dreamlike moments between Lan Wangji and A-Yuan. Neither of them saw the tumble of dark hair that fell over Lan Wangji's shoulder as he bent a little over the baby, or the silk of the ribbon that joined it, until Jin Ling reached up with a chubby hand and caught hold of it, tugging it towards his gummy mouth.

'A-Ling! No!' cried Wei Wuxian, reaching out to pry the ribbon from his hand and receiving a sharp, shrieking cry in response, Jin Ling's face crumpling with the true threat of tears.

'It is fine,' said Lan Wangji, tucking a finger around the hand holding the ribbon to protect it from reaching the baby's mouth, 'The innocent are without blame. He will do no harm.'

'I did not know Hanguang-Jun was so fond of children.'

'I am responsible for instructing some of our youngest disciples,' said Lan Wangji, 'But they are not so small as this. You are to be congratulated, Jiang-Guniang.'

Jiang Yanli bowed her head at the praise. 'Thank you, Lan Er-Gongzi.'

'Let him be an influence on you, A-Ling,' said Jiang Cheng, from beside her, 'Rather than your rascal Da-Jiu.'

'Ah Jiang Cheng!' said Wei Wuxian, quickly lowering his voice as the baby whimpered, 'Give me some chance.'

'And why would I do that?'

'Boys,' said Jiang Yanli, 'Don't let him hear you fighting. He is too young to know that it is only teasing.'

Wei Wuxian smiled down at the child, 'Jin Rulan, you know well enough that your Da-Jiu will be the most fun out of them all,' he said, 'I only hope…'

'Wei-Gongzi.'

He sighed at the sound of Jin Zixuan's voice, gentle rather than demanding but still breaking the scene. He balanced the baby carefully on one arm, gently plucking the precious Lan ribbon from Jin Ling's chubby fingers, his own brushing Lan Wangji's cool ones. He met the eyes before him, Lan Wangji's face as serene as ever but he could see the worry and the lingering fear. Fear for what was to come, for the words that would be so easily twisted, for those who were innocent and ignorant of the climb that stood before the man who had given up everything to save them.

'Back to your mother, sweet boy,' he said, carrying him gently back to Jiang Yanli and laying him in her waiting arms, 'It will be alright.'

He was unsure who the words were for; the child, the woman who had been both mother and sister to him for so long, the friends stood behind him - one held as the pinnacle of all and the other fated to be viewed only as a scar upon the world-, or for himself, to assuage the fear that finally all that had been chasing him had caught him at last.

'Lead the way,' he said, the words directed to Jin Zixuan alone, hoping against hope that Jiang Yanli's husband would prove the ally he needed.

 

Chapter 3: Blame

Notes:

Wow! Thank you all for the great responses for the first couple of chapters, you really made me smile.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Lan Wangji tightened his grip around his sword as he watched every eye in the room turn on Wei Wuxian, the callous whispers following soon after, pitched low but not low enough. His jaw clenched against the wish to correct them, especially as he heard the claims that Jin Zixuan had taken him prisoner rather than saved him from a crime he was being framed to commit. It would be so easy to speak but he knew his words carried a weight given to them by his often prolonged silence and he could tell by the atmosphere thickening around him that they would need to be timed to perfection, the fate of so many poised on the edge of a knife.

He watched Wei Wuxian's fingers worry the lotus charm on Chenqing, his features pinched as he too heard the barbs aimed at him. He wanted to move closer to him, to reach out and calm the twitches of nerves and fear. He longed for the moments in the small ante chamber when Wei Wuxian had held his baby nephew in his arms, the man once more the joyful, playful, hopeful person he had been before the war and the darkness that had come with it had consumed him. He hoped it would not be the only time he would witness such things, hoping, as Wen Ning had done, that they would all indeed be able to compare the roundness of the baby's cheeks to A-Yuan's.

He felt a tug at his heart as he thought of the child still in the Burial Mounds, innocent and unknowing of how the men, gathered in a room so far away and who knew nothing of him other than his name, held his very life in their hands.

He returned his thoughts to the room as Jin Guangshan entered, trailed as always by his newly claimed son. Jin Guangyao had his head bent as it always was when in the presence of others, only raising it to smile tightly at Nie Mingjue and then far more brightly at Lan Xichen, the latter returning it with the warmth that spoke of the bond the two had forged when Lan Xichen had been forced to flee the sanctuary of the Cloud Recesses. He was surprised therefore when Jin Guangyao raised his head once more, meeting the gaze of Su She who stood flanked by four of the Jin disciples. The look that passed between them was an odd one, fear in Su She's eyes and anger in Jin Guangyao's. It was brief, missed by most in the room who were too busy watching Wei Wuxian with a wary eye, but Lan Wangji felt the icy finger of concern on the back of his neck as the room quieted around him.

'I understand there was a disturbance on the Qiongqi Path,' said Jin Guangshan as he took his seat, the gold thread of his robes catching in the light, 'Wei Wuxian, what mischief did you begin?'

'I…'

'He did not begin anything,' said Jin Zixuan, cutting off Wei Wuxian's protests, 'Wei-Gongzi came at our own request, it was Zixun who went to begin things.'

Jin Zixun's annoyed exclamation was brought to a halt as his cousin continued.

'The reason I was there was because I had been advised he had gone to Qiongqi Path to meet with Wei Wuxian with unwelcome intent,' said Jin Zixuan, 'Fearing what I would find and having the good fortune to meet Hanguang-Jun on my way, I asked him to accompany me. We arrived to a battle and, though I cannot say for certain who began it, it was apparent that Wei-Gongzi and Wen-Gongzi were outnumbered. When Wei-Gongzi tried to end the skirmish, Wen-Gongzi did not respond to his commands. It was Hanguang-Jun who identified a second flute manipulating Wen-Gongzi and recovered Su-Zongzhu hidden at the scene. Once he was apprehended, Wei-Gongzi was able to calm Wen-Gongzi and the situation was resolved.'

Whispers rushed through the crowd, Lan Wangji hearing both surprise and accusation in them.

'How do you not know that Su-Zongzhu was not trying to calm the situation?' said Jin Guangshan, his voice wavering as he was forced to question his own son.

Lan Wangji stepped forward as Jin Zixuan faltered in his answer. Stopping beside Wei Wuxian and bowing neatly to the man on the dais before him.

'Jin-Xiandu,' he said, 'The cultivation of the Lan Sect is heavily founded in music and I assure you, the music I heard from the flute Su She played was not intended to calm but incite violence. I cannot name the piece but its intent was clear. Wei Ying, however, was playing to calm but the effects were limited due to the second flute.'

Jin Guangshan sat forward, his eyebrows pinched as he scanned the room. 'Hanguang-Jun, your honesty and capabilities are well known,' he said, 'But in the heat of battle things can be misunderstood.'

'I was not mistaken,' said Lan Wangji, 'Su She was playing to incite Wen-Gongzi to violence.'

'Then it must be Wei Wuxian that put him up to it.' called Sect Leader Yao, 'How else could he have done it? Wei Wuxian made another do his dirty work.'

'Why would I need anyone else to do things for me?' said Wei Wuxian, 'And besides, I don't know who this Su She even is and how could I arrange for him to be at an ambush I did not expect to find myself in? I came upon an invitation sent to me by Lan Zhan which informed me I would be welcomed. I did not expect to find myself ambushed by a horde led by a Jin. If anyone put Su She there then…'

'Wei Ying,' said Lan Zhan, taking hold of his wrist, 'Let us solve this peaceably.'

'Fuqin, Wei-Gongzi speaks true that the invite promised a welcome,' said Jin Zixuan, 'If we are to believe he arranged for Su-Zongzhu to be there, what purpose was it for? He did not know that Zixun would attempt to...would be present.'

'You think you know his wiles?' said Jin Guangshan, 'His tricks would far outweigh the logic of anyone in this room. I have no doubt he arranged the whole thing.'

'I have seen a great many things in my time,' said Nie Mingjue, rising from the table he had been sat behind, 'But I have never known a man mastermind his own assassination attempt. Jin-Gongzi, perhaps you will enlighten us to why you saw fit to head to Qiongqi Path to meet with Wei-Gongzi with nothing short of a small army beside you?'

The words were directed at Jin Zixun who fidgeted under the Nie Sect Leader's stare and remained silent.

'He accused me of having cast the hundred holes curse on him,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Though I have no reason to have done so, nor would I choose to use such a basic curse if I wanted to curse someone.'

'I don't know much about these things,' said Nie Huaisang, snapping his fan open across his face, 'But doesn't that curse rebound upon the person casting it? If Wei-Xiong was responsible for it, wouldn’t the marks be on him too?'

'That is the nature of the curse as I understand it,' said Nie Mingjue, 'If Wei-Gongzi cast the curse, its mark would be upon him.'

'Am I expected to strip now?' said Wei Wuxian, breaking Lan Wangji's hold on his wrist and reaching for the collars of his robes, 'Because you all think lowly enough of me it won't matter if I do and I'll prove to you beyond doubt that I never cast a curse against him.'

'Wei Ying,' said Lan Wangji, capturing his wrist once more as he began to genuinely tug open his robes.

'I think, Wei-Gongzi,' said Lan Xichen, joining the group, 'That your willingness to demonstrate your innocence is enough for now. If an examination should be found to be required, I would suggest a more private setting would be suitable. Jin-Gongzi, what makes you believe that the person who cast the curse on you was Wei-Gongzi.'

It was Jin Guangshan who barked a laugh in lieu of his nephew's answer. 'Zewu-Jun, you speak as though the room is balanced but only one such person would be willing to cast such a curse upon a person such as my nephew.'

'And yet the accused is more than willing to prove his innocence,' said Lan Xichen, 'And the curse rebound is such that it could not be disguised by any other spell. Even the Yiling-Laozu is not so skilled.'

Lan Wangji heard Wei Wuxian's soft huff of a laugh at his brother's words, the quiet humour spreading throughout the room but it was quickly chased aside by a snap of Jin Guangshan's sleeve. 

'Wei Wuxian's tricks are beyond the understanding of decent men,' he said, 'He has abandoned all the true practices, how can you be certain that he has not found a way to disguise his evil tricks?'

'And how easily you may accuse me of anything with such thoughts,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I had no need to curse him. He is not worth my time. He chose to come to Qiongqi Path, he chose to attack me when I had come in good faith and yet…'

'Wei-Gongzi, Fuqin,' said Jin Guangyao, his voice soft but cutting through the room with ease, 'Forgive me but we begin to go in circles which result in nothing but frayed tempers. I would suggest, if we truly wish to get to the crux of the matter, we ask the other accused to speak. Su-Zongzhu, perhaps you could enlighten us as to why you were hidden at the Qiongqi Path.'

Lan Wangji watched as Jin Guangyao raised his gaze to Su She who was still knelt on the floor, flanked by Jin guards. The look was brief but Lan Wangji could not miss the subtle light in Jin Guangyao's eyes nor the understanding in Su She's and he tightened his hand on Bichen,, quickly scanning the room for the weakest point they could escape from if the trap that surrounded Wei Wuxian was finally sprung.

Su She affected a desperate bow, turned completely to Jin Guangshan as his forehead met the elegant floor.

'Jin-Xiandu,' he said, his voice containing a pitiful whine, 'I am so ashamed, so ashamed. Forgive this coward who was so easily swayed by the threat to all he loved.'

'Do not give me excuses,' said Jin Guangshan, 'Speak plainly and we will judge fairly.'

' was instructed to go to Qiongqi Path, given the music to play that would compel the Gui Jiangjun to go mad, to kill the disciples of the clans who went to meet with the Yiling Laozu. Forgive me, forgive me. I was so afraid. I could not refuse the instruction. He said he would wipe out my sect, destroy us all, even the women and children.'

'And who gave this instruction to you?' said Jin Guangshan, 'Speak or suffer a greater punishment for it.'

'He'll kill me! He'll kill me!' wailed Su She.

'Speak!'

'Wei Wuxian!' cried Su She, 'The Yiling Laozu forced me. He forced me. He wanted everyone dead.'

'He's lying,' said Wei Wuxian, his hand flying to Chenqing, 'Lan Zhan, he's lying. Wen Ning.'

'Calm down.'

It was not Lan Wangji that offered the calming words but Jin Zixuan, placing himself between Wei Wuxian and several of the Jin soldiers already advancing on him.

'Fuqin. Everyone,' he said, 'Think on the words spoken before you act. Su-Zongzhu claims Wei-Gongzi arranged for him to be at Qiongqi Path to follow his orders and yet there were no advance plans for Zixun to be there therefore what carnage could be planned in advance in such a specific place. Hanguang-Jun, I am sure, will verify that Su-Zongzhu's position was not somewhere that was chosen in a moment of panic.'

Lan Wangji nodded. 'I cannot see how Su She's positioning was by chance,' he said, 'His concealment was absolute. It was only due to the sound of the flute that I was able to discover him.'

'It certainly seems that the stories do not match,' said Nie Mingjue, 'So I suggest everyone stands down until we have had a better chance to question everyone involved. Su-Zongzhu, you claim it was Wei-Gongzi who arranged for you to be in a position to enact his plan. Would you tell me how the arrangements were made?'

Su She's eyes darted around the room, fixing on several in pursuit of an ally but passing by as they looked away, unwilling to side with anyone when the floor was still too open. The only place his eyes did not rest were on Jin Guangyao whose expression remained as placid as ever.

'We met in secret.'

'When?' pressed Nie Mingjue.

'Two days after the birth of Jin Rulan.'

'Two days?' said Nie Mingjue, 'Good news has speed to Moling it seems. Jin-Gongzi, who was asked to invite Wei-Gongzi to the celebration today?'

'Hanguang-Jun,' came the reply, 'But the request was made at least four days after A-Ling's birth. I cannot recall exactly.'

'It was five days. My letter to Wei Ying was sent the next day,' said Lan Zhan, 'He would not have been aware of when the event would be taking place before then.'

Su She paled before he shook his head. 'I was mistaken. Mistaken. He scared me so much that the days become muddled. It was seven days after. Seven.'

Nie Mingjue nodded, 'I understand. And where did you hold this secret meeting?'

'He...he forced me into the Burial Mounds,' said Su She, 'He had the Gui Jiangjun with him. He nearly broke my arm.'

'No he didn't,' said Nie Mingjue, 'You may rethink your answer.'

'Nie-Zongzhu,' said Jin Guangshan, 'How can you make such a statement? Do you have proof they did not meet?'

'For the moment, Jin-Xiandu, I would prefer to give Su-Zongzhu a chance to rethink his answer before I give mine,' he replied, 'Su-Zongzhu, again you may answer but I suggest you think clearly, forget your fear of the terrifying Yiling Laozu and think back so that your account is accurate.'
Lan Wangji tilted his head and Wei Wuxian leaned towards him, the warmth of his breath tickling his ear as he whispered.

'What's he doing?'

'I am unsure,' answered Lan Wangji, 'But he appears to be on your side.'

Su She looked close to vomiting, his face pale. Once again his eyes scanned the room for an ally and moved to Jin Guangyao when he found none. The other man kept his eyes trained on his father rather than the man helplessly flailing for an answer, the gesture garnering far more of Lan Wangji's attention than he would have done had he even briefly met Su She's gaze.

'Su-Zongzhu,' said Nie Mingjue, 'Do you need to maybe confer with someone?'

Su She swallowed hard, voice trembling as he spoke, 'I...I was recalling events,' he said, 'The Yiling Laozu keeps staring at me, he will curse me if I speak the truth.'

'I see,' said Nie Mingjue, 'Wei-Gongzi, do you give me your word that you will not curse Su-Zongzhu if he speaks the truth.'

Wei Wuxian nodded, a small smile tugging at his lips, 'You have my word. If he speaks the truth, he has nothing to fear from me.'

'Well, there you have it. You have nothing to fear.'

'What is his word worth?' said Su She, kneeling a little straighter.

'More than some people's in this room,' said Nie Mingjue, 'Now, why don't you share your story now you have nothing to fear.'

'It was after the Yiling-Laozu received the letter from Hanguang-Jun. He accosted me in Yiling, forced me into an abandoned street and told me that...that…'

Nie Mingjue folded his arms across his chest, 'Has your imagination failed you? I would think twice before you make up anything too wild.'

'I am not making anything up. He…'

'Never met with you,' said Nie Mingjue, 'Never conferred, conspired or plotted with you. As far as I can tell, you have never exchanged even a handful of words.'

'And how do you know this, Nie-Zongzhu,' said Jin Guangshan, 'This performance has gone on long enough.'

'Indeed it has,' said Nie Mingjue, 'I know this because, like every other sect with any sense, I have had the Burial Mounds under close watch. I know that Su-Zongzhu has not gone to the Burial Mounds because the only two people not of the Wen sect who have are Jiang-Zongzhu and Wangji. Both have never concealed their visits. No others have entered. I know as well that Wei-Gongzi has never met with Su-Zongzhu in Yiling or anywhere else. Indeed, he has again only met with members of the Jiang Sect - a meeting I’m sure Jiang-Zongzhu will verify- and again with Wangji at the time of his visit. When he leaves the mountain, with or without any of his fellows, it appears to do little more than trade in goods in the markets. Hardly a keen conspirator for an event he could not, as we have already verified, anticipated.'

'Even the most diligent of watchers cannot witness everything,' said Jin Guangshan.

'True,' said Nie Mingjue, 'But I cannot believe we are the only sect to have thought to watch them. Can anyone gathered here say that their watchers witnessed anything different to what I have already described?'

A quiet murmur moved through the hall, all those gathered unable to offer a different story it seemed but also knowing how close they could be to ridding themselves of the perceived threat Wei Wuxian posed if only they could lie about it.

Lan Wangji once more tightened his hand around Bichen, hoping at least that his own sect, along with the QingheNie and the YunmengJiang might prove a buffer between Wei Wuxian, Wen Ning, and the threat that still hung over them both.

'Our people have only witnessed the same as Nie-Zongzhu has described.'

The words came from one of the minor sect leaders but the words prompted similar responses from all gathered. Lan Wangji turned to look at his brother as he too verified Nie Mingjue's words, receiving a small, wry smile in response before Wei Wuxian's voice pulled his attention back to him.

'I never knew I was so popular,' he whispered, 'Or did they just miss me too much?'

Jin Guangshan raised a hand, silencing the conversation that had sprung up around the monitoring of the Burial Mounds, but it was Nie Mingjue who spoke.

'Su-Zongzhu, it seems your story has no foundation,' he said, his tone far darker than it had been before, 'And I care little for lies. You have claimed the aim of your presence was to result in the death of cultivators including the death of Jin Zixun, I…'

'Nie-Zongzhu.'

The voice that cut him off was quiet but it raced through the room like a shout, several hands flying to the hilts of their swords as Wen Ning stepped out from where he had been standing behind Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji, his bow stiff and uneasy.

'Forgive my interruption but I should tell you that the instruction I heard in the music was not just to harm those who came with Jin-Gongzi, Jin Zixun,' he said, his eyes casting quickly to Wei Wuxian who nodded with a resigned gaze before he continued, 'The instruction...the instruction…'

'Wen-Gongzi,' said Nie Mingjue, 'If the words you are about to speak are truthful, you should have no fear. I understand that, given your circumstances, that these instructions are beyond your ability to ignore however much you may want to.'

'He has no control over his own actions if someone takes over,' said Wei Wuxian, 'If you blame anyone then you blame…'

Lan Xichen held up a hand, 'Wei-Gongzi, we are aware that Wen-Gongzi can be influenced to go against what might otherwise be his wishes. Please rest assured right now it is better that we know all than for anything to be concealed for fear of what will come later. If Wen-Gongzi has something to share about the power being exerted upon him then he can share it without fear of reprisal, I think,on that, we are all agreed.'

'Indeed,' said Nie Mingjue, 'Wen-Gongzi, you have my word there will be no reprisals for anything you wish to add.'

A snort came from where Jin Guangshan sat, his eyes narrowed as he watched the scene played out before him, but he remained silent, waving a hand to encourage the proceedings.

'Thank you, Nie-Zongzhu, Lan-Zongzhu,' said Wen Ning, his tone wavering dangerously before he straightened his shoulders and clasped his hands tightly before him, 'The first instructions I can remember came from Wei-Gongzi but they were only to defend us both, to do as little damage as possible in doing so. The second instruction wasn't from Wei-Gongzi but I couldn't resist it. It said to kill, kill all of them. It said...it said...it said to kill them, to kill Hanguang-Jun and Jin-Gongzi, Jin Zixuan. The instruction was strongest to kill Jin Zixuan. If it hadn't been for Hanguang-Jun…'

'We are lucky such a tragedy was avoided,' said Nie Mingjue, 'And thank you, Wen-Gongzi, for your honesty. Can you confirm, so there can be no doubt, who gave the final instruction that Wangji's actions prevented?'

Wen Ning nodded, 'I know for certain it was not Wei-Gongzi so, as Su-Zongzhu was the person Hanguang-Jun found with the flute, I can only suppose it was him.'

'Suppose, he said suppose,' said Su She, 'And of course he would look to blame me to protect his master. Wei Wuxian has always hated Jin-Gongzi, he would use any excuse to harm him.'

'The enmity between Wei-Gongzi and Jin-Gongzi in their youth is well known,' said Nie Mingjue, 'But those days have long passed and I believe the squabbles of youth have been put to rest long ago especially following more recent happy events between the Jin and Jiang Sect.'

'But he is not of the Jiang Sect,' said Su She, 'He defected.'

'Wei Wuxian may no longer be part of our sect,' said Jiang Cheng, his voice hiding the smallest of trembles, 'But that does not lessen the connection we have had since childhood. My sister has always maintained that Wei Wuxian would always be considered a part of her family.'

Another murmur spread through the room and Lan Wangji was relieved to see the tension drain a little from Wei Wuxian as the majority seemed to nod along with Jiang Cheng's words, his grip on Chenqing loosening.

'Su-Zongzhu,' said Nie Mingjue, 'Throughout this entire discussion you have been willing to make accusations and tell stories that quite easily fall apart when looked into. I am at a point where I find myself distrustful of every breath you take. You claimed Wei-Gongzi forced you to be present to undertake his plan for murder, a murder we have shown he could not have planned when there was no indication anyone would be there to meet him. Your dates, locations, and motives have all proved false. You claimed as well you did not give the instructions Wen-Gongzi described to us and yet Hanguang-Jun, who was present at the scene and whose musical cultivation is surpassed by none, gives a clear account that it was your music that was inciting Wen-Gongzi to violence whilst Wei-Gongzi's was attempting to calm. You seem to imply that Wei-Gongzi's childhood enmity with Jin-Gongzi prompted the battle that could not have been planned and, even if we could believe that Wei-Gongzi would harm the husband of his martial sister and the father of his infant nephew, how so can you claim he would also seek to harm Hanguang-Jun, who is known to be his great friend?'

'I…' stuttered Su She, 'I…'

'Your lies appear to have run dry,' said Nie Mingjue, 'So, unless you wish to name whoever you are acting on behalf of, it would appear the lives of the cultivators who died are on your hands as are the planned murders of those who were very fortunate to avoid being added to the count.'

The statement was bold, far bolder than any other sect leader would have willingly made but Nie Mingjue had never been one to play politics when it got in the way of the truth and direct action. The murmurs were low, accusations and reasons quickly being whispered between those sitting closest to one another.

'Lan Zhan.'

Wei Wuxian's low voice, close beside Lan Wangji once more pulled his attention from the room and back to his friend.

'This could still go badly,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Especially for Wen Ning. If you can't help him or me without putting yourself in jeopardy then don't try but please remember your promise. The others…'

'I will keep my word,' said Lan Wangji, 'Fear not.'

'Hard not to be afraid when…'

'Jin Guangyao!'

The shout was sudden, almost a scream that silenced the rest of the room in an instant. A cup shattered as it fell to the floor but no one turned to it, all eyes on Su She as he knelt on the floor, his hands held up in supplication.

'It was Jin Guangyao,' he said, trembling as he spoke and pulling at his robes until his chest and the holes bored into it by the curse were exposed, 'He made me cast the curse on Jin Zixun, knowing he would blame Wei Wuxian after Wei Wuxian had embarrassed him so about the Wen prisoners. He gave me the music, ordered me to go to Qiongqi Path. He said he would send Jin Zixun and Jin Zixuan there and I was to ensure...he wanted them dead and for Wei Wuxian to take the blame. He promised me if they were dead, he would have more power, would raise me and my sect up from the obscurity we have been forced into. He planned it all. He ensured you would give permission for Wei Wuxian to come so there was an excuse for him to be exposed, prided himself that he had even persuaded Lan Wangji to invite his friend, his promise one that Wei Wuxian would trust. He planned it all. I was a fool to follow him, a fool to do as he bid me. Forgive me, forgive me. I only…'

The silence was agonising, the only sound Su She's heavy breaths as he fell to the floor, laid out at the feet of Jin Guangshan as the accusation reverberated throughout the room.

Lan Wangji first met Wei Wuxian's panicked gaze, the accusation and the machinations behind it terrifying in how close it had come to destroying them all. He heard Jin Zixuan's stuttering breath, his own thoughts no doubt running along a similar vein. It had been chance he had crossed paths with Lan Wangji before heading to the Qiongqi Path. It had been chance that Lan Wangji had heard the music over the din of the battle and found the culprit before more lives could be lost.

Without thinking he reached out for Wei Wuxian, forgoing his wrist in favour of taking his hand in his own. The touch was brief but returned, the squeeze of their hands in the moment before they parted conveying so much that could not be yet said in words, an acknowledgement of the disaster that had been averted and the threat that still loomed as the room waited with baited breath.

Jin Guangshan's face was set in a grimace, his eyes darting from Su She to Jin Guangyao and then to Jin Zixuan, his mouth working as though seeking words but unable to find them. Jin Guangyao was pale, his slender frame trembling even as he fixed the same subservient smile on his face as he bowed low to his father.

'Fuqin…'

'Do not speak,' said Jin Guangshan, 'Do not speak. Do not. I…'

Lan Wangji turned as his brother cleared his throat, his usually peaceful face growing pale and his eyes wide with shock, hand clenched tightly around his sword. The shock was more than evident, his faith in Jin Guangyao something Lan Wangji had watched grow over the years of their acquaintance and he could only imagine what it would mean to have it shaken. He thought he would speak up for his friend, his sworn brother, but instead his words were weighted with regret as he spoke them.

'Perhaps this is something that should now be discussed by the sect leaders alone.'

'No discussion necessary,' said Jin Guangshan, 'Su She is responsible for these crimes, his wild accusations…'

'We questioned Su She,' said Nie Mingjue, 'Wei Wuxian agreed to an examination for the hundred holes curse and, I'm sure, will give a fuller account if asked. Wen Ning too has provided us with his own account. I believe now, Jin Guangyao, should favour us with his response.'

Jin Guangyao fixed smile was pained as he turned to the eldest of his sworn brothers. 'Da-Ge, surely you do not believe…'

'Do not think to state what I do and do not believe,' said Nie Mingjue, 'You have no authority to do so.'

'Why would I wish for the deaths of Zixun and Zixuan? My own dear family?' said Jin Guangyao, 'And what would I gain? If anything were to happen to Zixuan, A-Ling would be the next in line.'

'An infant. Convenient,' said Nie Mingjue, 'Jin-Xiandu, there is a snake in the nest of your family, you will want to ensure its venom is purged. I suggest a full investigation and for Su She and Jin Guangyao to be imprisoned, separately, until the truth is revealed.'

Jin Guangshan's face was pale as he got to his feet, 'Nie-Zongzhu, you were quick to step to the defence of Wei Wuxian and his creature. You are quick now to demand imprisonment for another so accused,' he said, 'If I agree to an investigation then those also present at the battle, those that could as easily be the instigators should be imprisoned as well.'

Wei Wuxian's hand was soon gripping Lan Wangji's wrist once more, punishingly tight, 'If they lock me and Wen Ning away we're never getting out, guilty or not. The others can't defend themselves for long without me,' he said, 'You know full well once they have me under their control, the Wens will die.'

The room felt too hot, ready to explode at any moment. Lan Wangji knew he would hope for Jiang Cheng to speak up for his brother, to proclaim his innocence, to pull him back under the protection of the Jiang Sect, but it was a gamble that would be a step to far for a young man whose power was based on the good favour of the other sects as he slowly rebuilt what the Wens had put to the pyre and the sword. Though Nie Mingjue had been quick to poke holes in Su She's words, saving Wei Wuxian by default, he too would put himself in jeopardy if he spoke out in complete defence of the man the cultivation world had come to despise.

The other sects were too small, too easily swayed by the promise of power and too afraid of all Wei Wuxian was to offer their support and Lan Wangji knew there was only one option remaining. He had never before forced his brother's hand but he knew that the ends would justify the means if only to save the innocent lives that would be taken in secret and without mercy once Wei Wuxian was contained.

'Jin-Xiandu,' he said, the sound of his voice enough to quell the growing murmurs in the room, 'Wei Ying has been proven to be innocent of the particular crimes laid before him today. As such, to imprison him and Wen Ning during the investigation would be unjust. He should be allowed to return home.'

'Lan-Zongzhu, you would be best placed to remind your brother that, whilst fealty to one's friends is admirable in the majority of cases, to place himself so fully beside the Yiling Laozu is inviting questions about his character that will not easily be forgotten,' said Jin Guangshan.

'On the contrary, Jin-Xiandu,' said Lan Xichen, 'Our principles insist that we protect the innocent and, as Wangji has stated, there is no evidence that Wei-Gongzi committed any crime. Though the loss of life at the hands of Wen-Gongzi is regrettable, we have seen it demonstrated that his actions were not of his doing. He and Wei-Gongzi were permitted to defend themselves from an unprovoked attack, the aftermath is yet to be determined of course but Wen-Gongzi can only be held here as the weapon, not the perpetrator.'

'I am surprised, Lan-Zongzhu, that you are willing to speak for any Wen given the destruction they wrought on your sect.'

'Wen-Gongzi was not part of that offence,' said Lan Xichen, 'Nor, I understand, any of his fellows who now reside in the village in the Burial Mounds. I cannot condemn every soul for the actions of their sect. I believe we should, for the moment, keep all involved nearby whilst the sect leaders discuss what is to happen to them all. Once a decision is made, based on evidence and evidence alone, the choice of who should be imprisoned and who should be freed can be announced to all.'

Jin Guangshan looked set to argue but then nodded, 'See that all are taken to separate rooms and held there, they are not permitted to meet or converse until our decision is made.'

'Do as he says,' said Lan Wangji as he heard Wei Wuxian's intake of breath, stilling the argument he was sure was forthcoming, 'I will keep my word if anything goes awry.'

Wei Wuxian's wild, frightened eyes met his before he nodded, pressing Chenqing into his hands as the Jin guards approached him. 'I trust no one with this but you,' he said, 'Stay near to where they hold Wen Ning. Listen for music. If anyone tries to use him…'

'I will put an end to it. He will be safe,' promised Lan Wangji, 'They will all be safe.'

He watched Wei Wuxian leave with his shoulders straight and his head high, hoping against hope that he would see him after only a short duration. He ignored the murmurs springing up once more, instead meeting his brother's gaze and offering a nod of thanks before following the group leading Wen Ning away, knowing he would sit outside whatever room they kept him in for however long it took to ensure he was not again used against his will.

Chapter 4: Compromise

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Wei Wuxian left his place behind the table, walking to the window and peering out at the city below before heading over to the bed. He lay down, not bothering to remove his still road-dusty robes or boots, but it was mere moments before he was on his feet again, pacing the gleaming floor that felt all too out of place next to what he was used to.

In his youth he had revelled in luxury, enjoying the security of it after the trials of his early childhood, and only ever suffered the hardships of the road when it was truly necessary. Only a handful of years before, he would have balked at the idea of scraping together a living from earth barely fit to be stepped on, at rationing wood for fires, and ensuring food was provided to those growing or ailing even if it meant days with a hollow stomach. Now though, as he paced in the splendour of the world he had once been a part of, such a life felt far more honest than anything he had ever known.

Though the Burial Mounds were akin to a prison in some ways, he was freer there than he had ever been even long before the war with Wen Ruohan had happened. With Wen Ning and Wen Qing knowing the absolute truth of his condition, there were moments when he was able to be completely honest, even if he felt too raw for several hours afterwards. Though the upbringing they had all gone through in some way still bled through, they were developing their own ways and traditions, working together as a collective rather than under the rule of one. He often found the lack of formality comforting, everyone more relaxed when there were no expectations acting upon them. A place where even Wen Ning was not treated as anything terrifying or odd, when the rest of the world feared him.

Thoughts of Wen Ning brought his worry to the fore once more, his mind cruelly flashing up images not only of what had happened but what could have happened as well. He could only imagine what he would have done if the plan, that seemed to come from the highest of orders, had come to fruition. He shuddered as he imagined the poor settlement they had built was laid to waste, the innocent slain, his friends, his tiny A-Yuan.

He took a breath as he pulled his thoughts away from the route they wanted to go down, startling at the knock at the door that quickly followed. His hand moved quickly to his belt, coming away empty. Chenqing in Lan Wangji's custody rather than being taken by some Jin grunt who would soon place it in the hands of Jin Guangshan.

'A-Xian, can I come in?'

The beloved voice of Jiang Yanli washed over him like a balm and he quickly ran hands over his hair and clothes to straighten them before he called out in reply.

'Come in, Shijie.'

The door opened, Jiang Yanli's face sharp as she spoke to the guard but softening as she stepped inside, a basket tucked into the crook of her arm.

'I thought you would be hungry,' she said, setting the basket down as she knelt at the table, 'Come and eat, A-Xian.'

Wei Wuxian frowned, 'You shouldn't be waiting on me,' he said, 'Won't they say…'

'Zixuan knows I am here and he did not offer any protest,' said Jiang Yanli, 'Anyone else can keep their opinion to themselves. Come and sit down. You're too thin, A-Xian.'

'I'm alright, Shijie, honestly.'

Jiang Yanli's eyes narrowed as he came to the table and knelt down opposite her. 'You have never been good at lying to me,' she said, opening the basket and setting out a bowl, 'But I understand if there are things you cannot yet share. You have your reasons. You will tell me when you are ready. For now, eat.'

Wei Wuxian sighed, feeling the familiar squirming in his gut that accompanied Jiang Yanli's intelligent gaze as she carefully spooned the fragrant soup into a bowl before handing it to him. The warmth spread through his hands from the bowl, the steam rising in soft, pale curls. It had been so long since he had tasted the flavours he knew were in the bowl before him, the last time when the woman before him had come to show him her wedding dress. Where before the soup had brought nothing but comfort, it now carried with it such melancholy, the foreshadowing that each mouthful could be the last time he would ever taste it. Still, as he dutifully lifted a spoonful to his lips, he couldn't help the smile that followed the taste.

'It's good,' he said, trying not to eat too quickly despite the clawing hunger that reminded him of its presence within him, his last meal meagre and so many hours before.

'There's plenty,' said Jiang Yanli, with a smile, 'I can make more for A-Cheng.'

Wei Wuxian smiled, 'I'll be sure to eat plenty,' he said, hearing the soft chuckle from opposite him.

'I wonder if A-Ling will be as troublesome with his future younger siblings.'

'Siblings?' said Wei Wuxian, his appetite fleeing him as he realised that Jiang Yanli's hopes had been so close to being destroyed, 'Oh, Shijie…'

He heard the soft rustle of expensive cloth, smelled the fragrant perfumes that were both of the sect Jiang Yanli lived in now and the memory of being held in a warm embrace when he was small and frightened. Slim arms wrapped around him, holding more strength in them than he was sure any cultivator did if only for the power they had to chase away what was hurting him.

'I know what nearly happened,' said Jiang Yanli, hushing the sound of protest that escaped him, 'I also know that, whatever some of them say, you would never harm Zixuan like that even if he wasn't my husband. You are a good man, A-Xian, you always have been. Those who know you and love you will never think otherwise.'

'There are not a lot of people who love me these days,' said Wei Wuxian, keeping his eyes shut as Jiang Yanli's fingers continued to smooth over his hair.

'Oh I don't know about that. A-Ling loves you…'

Wei Wuxian laughed, 'A-Ling likes anyone warm and happy to hold him.'

'He's very particular actually,' said Jiang Yanli, 'But he is very pleased with his Da-Jiu. He has company as well. You are loved by many people. A-Cheng and I are given of course. Zixuan will be as loyal to you as a brother and cares for you in his way. Your friends in the Wen village must care for you dearly and Wen-Gongzi looks to you like an elder brother. Then there is Lan Er-Gongzi…'

Wei Wuxian snorted, 'Lan Zhan?' he said, 'Lan Zhan barely tolerates me. He's more interested in making me follow the rules.'

Jiang Yanli tutted softly as she had when he was being particularly difficult as a child. 'If Lan Er-Gongzi only tolerates you, I would be terrified to see it if he called you friend. I think, if you look carefully enough, you may see he is the dearest friend you could ever ask for. He told me he was standing guard by Wen-Gongzi's room because you asked him to.'

'Given that people have tried to use Wen Ning as a weapon, it's only sensible for a strong musical cultivator to stand guard.'

He heard the sigh above him before fingers tugged on a few strands of his hair.

'I hope A-Ling doesn't learn your stubbornness at least.'

'Would you prefer he learned Jiang Cheng's?'

'I hope he will take after me,' said Jiang Yanli, 'You need to eat. They were still in discussion when I came but they could finish at any time. I hope you can stay a few days but if you need to go...to go home, then I want to know you've eaten well.'

Wei Wuxian bit back the bitter response that it could well be a condemned man's last meal but he did not want to bring any more pain to what should have been a time of absolute joy for the woman beside him. Instead, he retrieved his bowl, forcing down several spoonfuls before his appetite won out again and he finished the bowl only to have it refilled for him moments later.

He was on his third bowl when a knock came at the door before it slid open to reveal Lan Xichen, his eyes softening as he caught sight of Jiang Yanli.

'Forgive my interruption, Wei-Gongzi, Jin-Furen,' he said with a bow, 'I have been sent by the other sect leaders to speak with Wei-Gongzi.'

'I should go,' said Jiang Yanli, rising to her feet and smoothing her skirts, 'Promise you'll come and see me before you go, A-Xian, if you decide to leave today.'

'I will, if I'm allowed,' said Wei Wuxian, setting aside his bowl and rising beside her.

Jiang Yanli took his hands in hers, fixing him with a pointed stare, 'Have faith. Remember what I said.'

'I'll try,' promised Wei Wuxian, wanting to tighten his grip on the delicate fingers but instead letting her go, feeling the safety of the room drift away with her.

The brief exchange of farewells between Jiang Yanli and Lan Xichen was ended with the door sliding closed as she stepped outside, leaving Wei Wuxian with a man who had always spoken to him as an ally but he knew how quickly politics could change what had been built.

'I am sorry I interrupted,' said Lan Xichen again, 'If I had known Jin-Furen had chosen to visit you, I would have taken a longer route.'

'I don't imagine it would have been popular if you had,' said Wei Wuxian, 'If you have been sent to talk to me, I imagine there are people waiting for whatever you have to report afterwards.'

Lan Xichen smiled, 'Wei-Gongzi is correct,' he said, the smile faltering a little before he sighed, 'We find ourselves in quite an unexpected situation. I should explain what is happening but rest assured, for the moment, you and Wen-Gongzi are not under any threat.'

'You’ll forgive me if I find those words somewhat hollow,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I do not doubt you but Wen Ning and I are never not under threat these days.'

Lan Xichen nodded, 'I am well aware,' he said, 'But perhaps now, we can ensure that threat is not so present when it need not be. Firstly, I am required by the other sect leaders to ascertain that, despite Su She having been proven to have the resulting backlash from the Hundred Holes curse, you do not bear any marks of it. As I am confident in the fact that Su She was the perpetrator, all I ask is your promise that you do not bear anything similar.'

'I promise,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I will swear on anything you ask me to. I have not and will not ever use such a curse. If the sect leaders ask, I will assure them Zewu-Jun acted upon their orders accordingly as well.'

'Then we have passed the first of our trials,' said Lan Xichen, 'The second I fear, will not be so easy. The accusations stand as follows. We have proven, so far as we can, that you did not arrange for anyone to meet with you on the Qiongqi Path for any reason and that the tragedy that was averted was not of your design. Su She has since levelled his accusation at...at Jin Guangyao who denies any wrongdoing. Until guilt or innocence can be proven and all accusations are laid properly to rest, you and Wen-Gongzi remain part of events. The request is that you and he remain here in Jinlintai until everything is decided upon. Whilst here, Jin-Xiandu requests that you relinquish control of the Yin Hu Fu to him.'

Wei Wuxian froze before his hand flew once more the his belt, cursing the absence he found there.

Lan Xichen held his hands up, a placating smile on his lips. 'I anticipated such a response,' he said, before he looked back towards the door and took several steps closer, 'Shall we appreciate the view whilst we talk, Wei-Gongzi?'

He followed the older man as he headed to the window, forcing away the bite of anxiety as Lan Xichen waved a hand, whatever barrier he had woven over them invisible but Wei Wuxian could still feel the heady press of it around them.

'Now we can speak a little more freely,' said Lan Xichen, 'You are right not to relinquish the Yin Hu Fu. Whilst I do not condone its existence or your use of it, right now I believe it is safer in your hands than any others. We are in a far more dangerous place now than we ever were during the war.'

'I only use it where necessary,' said Wei Wuxian, 'And only ever in defence. The Wens…'

Lan Xichen shook his head, 'You do not need to tell me of the people you protect. Wangji has given me his account. I have never supported Jin-Xiandu's persecution of all those who bear the Wen name. Cultivators and those who were willingly under Wen Ruohan's command may be a danger to us. Old men, farmers and children will hardly come to destroy us.'

'They just want to live in peace,' said Wei Wuxian, 'And I…'

Lan Xichen laid a hand on his shoulder, 'I may not understand everything but your actions have never surprised me,' he said, 'Wei-Gongzi, you are in grave danger here, you will be in grave danger if you remain but there is no easy retreat.'

Wei Wuxian huffed out a mirthless laugh. 'I am used to things not being easy.'

Lan Xichen sighed, 'There is one option, one I can offer and I counsel you to at least consider it. It won't be your freedom but it will be as close as you can get right now and it will allow you and Wen-Gongzi to return to the Burial Mounds.'

Wei Wuxian studied his face, so similar to Lan Zhan's but more open though, he found to some astonishment, harder to read than his friend's. 'I'm listening.'

'Wangji brought you here under the protection of our sect,' said Lan Xichen, 'A boon he can offer but one I can overrule. It is one, as well, that I can strengthen. Place yourself under the protection of the Lan Sect, allow us to guarantee that whilst discussions and investigations are ongoing, we will be responsible for you. You will return to the Burial Mounds, you will be able to live as you have lived before but it will be under our watch.'

Wei Wuxian frowned, 'That seems far too easy,' he said, 'And Nie-Zongzhu gave away the fact that you've all been watching us anyway. How is this different?'

'Firstly, our sect will take responsibility for whatever wrongdoings you undertake,' said Lan Xichen, 'And I would trust there would be none because of it. Secondly, sect leader to sect leader…'

'Wait, sect leader?' said Wei Wuxian before he shook his head, 'Zewu-Jun, I'm not...we're not a sect, we're…'

'What you perceive yourselves as is not relevant right now,' said Lan Xichen, 'Strengthen your position, Wei-Zongzhu. The Yiling-Wei Sect is young and vulnerable, an alliance in trying times with a stronger sect is worthwhile.'

Wei Wuxian's gut rolled, his face heating uncomfortably as he fought the urge to launch himself from the window. 'Zewu-Jun…'

'This situation is delicate,' said Lan Xichen, 'If only truth and lies were in play then it would be easy but there are machinations we do not yet understand. Ideally, Jiang-Zongzhu would be here in my place but his sect is vulnerable too and his impartiality would be questioned due to your upbringing. The Lan Sect was badly injured by the actions of Wen Ruohan too so we have no reason other than justice to vouch for those that share his name. We can be a strong ally.'

'You would trust me so easily?'

Lan Xichen smiled sadly, 'Your actions have been at times abhorrent, your practices go against all we stand for, your character defies even our most basic rules but yes, Wei-Zongzhu, I trust you for the simple fact that Wangji trusts you.'

Wei Wuxian swallowed hard, blinking back the sudden tears that blurred his vision, 'Oh…'

'The other sects will expect me to ask for the Yin Hu Fu for insurance but I know you would refuse my help and that of any other in order to keep it,' said Lan Xichen, 'So instead, I offer this compromise. Keep the Yin Hu Fu but allow us to place one of our sect in the Burial Mounds with you who will then verify that its use was not for any purpose against the other sects.'

Wei Wuxian studied the polished floor beneath the worn toe of his boot, 'And the person?'

'Wangji,' said Lan Xichen, 'We would send Wangji.'

Chapter 5: Preparation

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

'Lan Zhan, are you insane?'

Lan Wangji was sure Wei Wuxian was quite ignorant of how lucky he was that he easily recognised his footfalls and the strange anticipation he could never give a name to that always preceded his arrival, any other man foolish enough to sneak through the window of Hanguang-Jun's bed chamber so late at night certain to meet with an unfortunate end.

'I did not believe myself to be,' he answered, not even turning to face Wei Wuxian as he continued to scramble through the window like an ungainly youth, 'But I am willing to take advisement.'

'You realise if you go through with this plan of your brother's that your name will be damaged forever. I leave a stain, Lan Zhan. Your reputation will be in tatters.'

'I am following a direct request from my Sect Leader in response to a matter of concern for all the sects,' said Lan Wangji, carefully folding another inner robe and adding it to his bag, 'The decision has even been backed by the Chief Cultivator. I am doing nothing that could be judged poorly.'

'And the sun rises in the West,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Lan Zhan, this shouldn't be you. They could send someone else. I don't want…I don't want them to speak ill of you. It isn't fair. This whole situation…'

'Is not fair,' said Lan Wangji as Wei Wuxian trailed off, 'But it is better than you being forced to remain here. Under Lan protection, we can at least ensure that any hearing and judgement thereafter is fair. Here, well, I will not speak ill of my hosts.'

Wei Wuxian laughed softly, 'Ever the diplomat, Hanguang-Jun.'

Lan Wangji turned, seeing the dejected set of Wei Wuxian's shoulders, the tiredness in his eyes that could not be cured even with a week of solid sleep. Wei Wuxian caught his eye, his smile soft and sad as he leaned back against the window frame.

'I know what I am doing, Wei Ying,' he said, 'If I can help…'

Wei Wuxian shook his head, 'What help is any of this?' he said, 'Even if my innocence is proven in this, they will find another reason to come for us. They will not rest until the Wens are dead and I'm...well, they'll find something worse than dead for me.'

Lan Wangji shook his head, 'Not while I draw breath.'

'That's what I am afraid of,' said Wei Wuxian, 'You should run while you still have the chance. Tell your brother you can't possibly be expected to spend more than a moment in such appalling company and take yourself back to the Cloud Recesses before any more people are whispering behind their hands about you.'

Lan Wangji closed his eyes for a moment, willing away the frustration that came with Wei Wuxian's words. 'Wei Ying,' he said, returning to his packing, 'We're about to spend an unspecified amount of time in very close quarters. If you continue to talk in such a way, that time will not be pleasant. I know what I am doing.'

Wei Wuxian sighed. 'I know you do,' he said, 'Forgive me. It's been a long day and I...it would have been better if I hadn't come.'

'Your martial sister would disagree, as do I.'

'If you two ever teamed up, I'd be in danger,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I can't stop thinking how much worse today could have been. If you had not been there to stop Su She, I dread to think what would have happened, who would have died.'

'It is done,' said Lan Wangji, abandoning his packing and heading towards the table, 'Come, if you are staying, then sit. I only have tea.'

'I expected as much,' said Wei Wuxian, folding himself into an inelegant approximation of sitting beside the table, 'I'm sorry I came to bother you. I couldn't stay in the room any longer with only Wen Ning to stare at. I was going out of my mind, even more so than I am already.'

'A feat indeed,' said Lan Wangji, pouring two cups and passing one across the table to him.

Wei Wuxian snorted, 'You're funny, Lan Zhan,' he said, 'You are making more and more jokes and they're nearly always at my expense.'

'Mn. Wei Ying should not make himself such an easy target.'

'Brutal! Brutal!' cried Wei Wuxian, 'How you wound me! Is this how the famed Second Jade of Lan was raised to behave? So cruel, Lan Zhan.'

Lan Wangji was glad to hear a little of the familiar playfulness in Wei Wuxian's cries but the tremble still remained beneath, one he was sure would not dissipate even when they returned to the Burial Mounds.

'I cannot stay long,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Even if your brother has settled things for the moment and we are no longer under suspicion as much for the current accusations being made, I don't trust this place. Wen Ning has a talisman to alert me if anyone comes knocking but I can't risk being found anywhere they are not expecting me to be. I couldn't…'

'You do not have to explain.'

Wei Wuxian smiled, 'Ah Lan Zhan, what a change has come over you. I expected you to scold me for not following the rules.'

'In this case, I believe the rules to be unfair,' said Lan Wangji, blowing gently on the contents of his cup, 'Therefore there is nothing to scold you for. I would advise you to take care though, there are other lives tied to your perceived good behaviour.'

Wei Wuxian saluted him with his cup, 'You are right, you are right,' he said, 'I did try to stay in my room but I needed to talk to someone. You will need to get used to these notions of mine. I’ll be nudging you awake at all hours to talk about the oddest thoughts when we are back in the Burial Mounds. Are you sure you still want to come?'

'I am sure,' said Lan Wangji, 'And I have promised to do so in front of all the sects. I hope that with me being there, any retribution we may not be expecting will not come. I hope to keep all parties honest.'

Wei Wuxian smiled, 'I don't envy you that task, Lan Zhan,' he said, 'There were more dishonest men in that room today than you would find in a den of thieves. My present company and his generous brother excepted, of course.'

Lan Wangji frowned before he sighed deeply. 'They will all try to use this for political gain,' he said, 'And will not take sides until they are more certain of the outcome.'

'Your brother has chosen early and considering the other accused, I have to admit to my surprise,' said Wei Wuxian.

'Xiongzhang will always protect the innocent first,' said Lan Wangji, 'And you and the others in the village are innocent.'

'A very broad use of the word,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Wen Ning killed people today. The sects will want revenge.'

'Any sect worth its position in the world will of course mourn their dead but they must see that their disciples went to ambush someone who was legitimately travelling to an event they were invited to on the unsubstantiated word of one man alone. Even if any of them believed you were capable of such a thing they should have ceased the moment they realised there were only two of you, regardless of the reputation you bear, and instead ensured you were peaceably escorted to somewhere you could have answered the accusations against you. I know those from our sect will be strongly reminded of the principles they have broken.'

Wei Wuxian paled, 'Ah, Lan Zhan, do not let them be punished too harshly,' he said, 'I'm sure, were I in their position…'

'Your mind and your compassion would have won out over mob mentality,' said Lan Wangji, 'It is the reason you find yourself…'

'Penniless and scraping a living off a mountain of corpses,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Honesty isn't such a handsome thing.'

'I think it is far more handsome than a life lived in jewels and deceit.'

Wei Wuxian was silent, his eyes on the contents of his cup as he swirled it absently, 'Jewels and deceit,' he said, 'So much of it. So much and it almost...it makes me colder than I have ever been in my life to think what could have happened today. Jin Zixuan...you...all I can see when I close my eyes is bodies, broken and bloodied, and I…'

'It did not happen,' said Lan Wangji, reaching across the table and laying a hand across Wei Wuxian's wrist, thumb brushing absently against the thrum of his pulse, only to snatch it back as he flinched violently, 'I'm sorry, I didn't mean…'

'Ah, Lan Zhan, no harm done,' said Wei Wuxian with a hasty laugh, 'It is me who should apologise. I'm just more used to people trying to grab me for the wrong reasons now. Forgive me.'

'There is nothing to forgive,' said Lan Wangji, hating that his friend who had always been so free with his touches now flinched from even a friendly gesture.

'Do you think he did it?’ said Wei Wuxian, abandoning his cup on the table and getting to his feet, robes swinging wildly around his legs as he paced over to a set of shelves and started poking at the trinkets he found there, 'Jin Guangyao I mean? Do you think he did send Su She to set Wen Ning on Jin Zixuan?'

Lan Wangji was used to his friend's sudden changes in conversation, calmly following him with his gaze as he continued to poke around the room. He knew the assumption that was in his own head but years of training and the wish to allow the process they had all agreed to be followed kept him from speaking it. 'Such decisions will be made by those better qualified than I to judge,' he said, earning a huff of laughter in response.

'Ah Hanguang-Jun, the diplomacy! You have such a talent for it. They should make you Chief Cultivator. You would never make a decision, never show your hand, but they would still believe you had given them what they asked for. I should call you Lan-Xiandu.'

'That would be highly inappropriate,' said Lan Wangji, tucking his smile behind the rim of his cup as Wei Wuxian threw his head back and laughed.

'Lan Zhan! Your wit! I truly am astounded. I shall laugh myself foolish in the Burial Mounds if you keep this up. I am sorry you will have to go through it but at least you will keep me entertained, said Wei Wuxian before the mirth dropped a little from his face and he sighed. 'I should let you rest, it is nearly nine and you will need your sleep for what awaits you, I can promise you that is the last comfy bed you will sleep in for a while.'

'I have slept in worse places,' said Lan Wangji, 'And many have boasted the comfiest of beds.'

Wei Wuxian offered him a soft smile, the sadness at the corners of it ever present and Lan Wangji longed to know not only the reason for it but also the cure, hoping maybe the duration of his stay in the Burial Mounds would provide both.

'I really should go,' said Wei Wuxian, 'They don't need any other accusations to throw at me. Thank you for your company, I…'

'Thank you for yours,' said Lan Wangji, getting to his feet as Wei Wuxian trailed off, 'It is more traditional to see you to the door but in this case, you should probably return the way you came.'

Wei Wuxian laughed, making his way to the window before turning to offer him a neat bow. 'Sleep well, Lan Zhan,' he said, climbing easily onto the ledge, 'I'll see you in the morning, unless you come to your senses before then.'

'I will see you in the morning,' said Lan Wangji, 'Take care you are not seen.'

'I was sneaking in and out of places long before this,' said Wei Wuxian, seeming to hesitate a moment before he slipped into the darkness outside.

The chill blew in after him and Lan Wangji wondered just how cold it would be in the Burial Mounds. He returned to his bag, placing the last of his things inside before setting it next to the box of books he had brought for A-Yuan, a small smile coming to his lips as he remembered the young boy who had brought such life to the dire place he lived in.

He reached inside his robes, pulling out his purse and checking the contents. Though the hour was late, he knew many of the traders in Lanling would still be active, taking advantage of the presence of so many gentry families in one place, and he was sure to find what he was looking for amongst their wares. Even with the provisions the Lan Sect would send with him the following morning, it would do no harm to arrive with a few extra blankets and warm cloth that could be made into clothes for those in need.

****

Night still hung on the city, the lamps lighting their way as Lan Wangji and Lan Xichen walked side by side through the gardens of Jinlintai, the only others present the scurrying servants getting ready for the guests and family to rise and a few other Lan disciples who were too set in their ways to rise late.

'I will only ever be a letter away,' said Lan Xichen, 'And Jin-Gongzi assures me that he will also hear any petition you need to send. I would imagine though, that anything sent to him will be read as well by Jin-Xiandu, so take care in the writing of it. I am sending you to observe and I expect you to report anything untoward but I am also sending you to protect them. Whatever the outcome of our investigations, there will be repercussions and I fear...there has been enough innocent blood shed.'

Lan Wangji nodded, 'I understand what I am to do.'

'It may be a chance as well to bring Wei-Gongzi back onto the right path,' said Lan Xichen. 'I do not know what has him keeping a cultivation that is so destructive but I know there must be a reason for it.'

'I will do all I can to ensure everyone is safe,' said Lan Wangji. 'When will you inform Shufu?'

Lan Xichen smiled, 'I have already written to him,' he said, 'But you will be gone before his reply arrives.'

'Mn,' murmured Lan Wangji, knowing any association with Wei Wuxian, even at the behest of all the sects, would be looked upon unfavourably by his uncle.

'And correspondence will of course be difficult between us when you are away so we should only send the most pertinent of messages,' continued Lan Xichen, with a small smile, 'If you wish to pass news to Shufu or if he needs to send word to you, I will be the willing intermediary. Do you have everything you need?'

Lan Wangji nodded, 'With the provisions you have provided and a few additions I have made myself, we will be fine until the next delivery is made,' he said, 'It will be good for A-Yuan to be able to rely on more regular meals.'

'A-Yuan?' said Lan Xichen, 'Ah, that is the child. Yes, it will be good for him to eat regularly. It will do no harm for Wei-Gongzi either.'

Lan Wangji did not answer, his mind throwing up the image of Wei Wuxian as he had first seen him in Qiongqi Path the day before; terrified, alone and all too thin. His robes had been neat, far better quality than those he had last seen him wearing but they sat ill on his frame, pulled tight around him and betraying the thinness that spoke of malnourishment. He was glad for the salted meats he had purchased the night before along with other additional provisions for the villages, hoping that a few choice cuts of it would put some well needed weight back on his friend. He knew he would need to ensure he ate it though, more than certain he would find a way to pass the more nourishing pieces on to A-Yuan even if the boy had received the same.

'If anything becomes too much,' said Lan Xichen, pulling him from his thoughts, 'You only need say the word and you'll be able to come home. I can appreciate…'

'I will be fine,' said Lan Wangji, 'I have been there before.'

'It is easier for any...practices to be hidden when a person is only visiting for a brief time.'

'I will be fine,' said Lan Wangji again, 'I should prepare.'

'We will escort you as far as the bottom of the mountain,' said Lan Xichen, 'Though I trust no one would think to mount a further ambush, I would prefer to know you are safe. We do not yet know if anyone else is involved. I would suggest dissuading Wei-Gongzi and Wen-Gongzi from venturing far from home even with you to escort them.'

'We will take the necessary precautions,' said Lan Wangji, 'And I will make you aware of any difficulties we encounter.'

Lan Xichen nodded. 'Well then, I should let you finish your preparations. I believe the intention is to leave an hour or so after everyone has eaten. The young Jin-Furen stated at dinner that she wished to have some time with Wei-Gongzi before he departed again. At any other time I would have suggested he remain a little longer but, given the situation, the sooner you are away, the safer I believe everyone will be. Though I do not hold Wen-Gongzi responsible for all that occurred, the fact remains that he can be influenced and could do untold harm if commanded by someone with nefarious intent. At least, in the Burial Mounds, he is amongst his own people and I would hope out of reach of those who would use him so.'

'I hope to find he is never used in such a way again,' said Lan Wangji, 'He does not wish to cause harm.'

'His wishes are just that if they do not allow him control over himself,' said Lan Xichen. 'But we could debate this for many hours and find no end. Is there anything further you need from me before you depart?'

Lan Wangji shook his head. 'I have everything I will need.'

They continued back into the slowly awakening halls of Jinlintai in silence, Lan Wangji glad that where he was heading to would be more welcoming than he had ever found the gilded surrounds of the Jin Sect. He had hope at least that Jin Zixuan and Jiang Yanli would bring a softness to the place that was so often lacking, their marriage seemingly a peaceable and loving one rather than the faithless existence that belonged to Jin Zixuan's parents. It had felt like stepping into a nest of snakes even when he had been too young to understand his apprehensions and he was unsurprised that it now seemed to have produced an illegitimate son that could easily have caused the downfall of his own brother. Wei Wuxian and Wen Ning acceptable collateral damage for his ambitions.

He had been surprised to find Su She controlling Wen Ning, relying heavily on his own restraint not to throttle the man there and then not just for his actions there but for the retribution for his betrayal when Wen Xu had first attacked the Cloud Recesses, but he had not been surprised the moment he realised he was acting under someone else's command. The mention of Jin Guangyao’s name, whilst shocking, did not seem wholly unexpected for some but Lan Wangji wondered if, just as Su She was a pawn of Jin Guangyao, was Jin Guangyao not working on the orders of someone else as well.

It was not his place to speculate though, certain his brother would share whatever he could with him whilst Lan Wangji focused instead on keeping the Wen Remnants and Wei Wuxian safe.

The morning meal was tense and quiet, Wei Wuxian and Wen Ning distinctly absent as they remained confined to their rooms under the watch of both the Jin and the Lan sects. Lan Wangji could not help but notice the absence as well of Jiang Yanli, word being sent that the new mother was feeling unwell despite her having appeared whole and hardy the day before despite the shock of Wei Wuxian's arrival.

The calmness in Wei Wuxian's eyes when Lan Wangji saw him beside the small pony and cart that would bear the provisions to the mountain with them though gave him the truth of where the eldest of the Jiang children had been. Still, Lan Wangji maintained a polite distance and Wei Wuxian bade a more formal farewell to her along with Jin Zixuan and Jiang Cheng who had come to see them off.

The resulting journey was silent for a long while after they departed Jinlintai, the Lan escort quiet by tradition whilst those the Jin had sent along followed suit through fear it seemed, their eyes often darting to Wen Ning and Wei Wuxian where they walked beside the cart and jumping whenever one of their footsteps fell a little heavy. Even Lan Xichen's attempts to engage them in conversation fell flat and he too fell back on silence, only speaking when necessary to suggest a break for rest and food. The further they moved from Lanling though, the brighter Wei Wuxian became until finally his chatter filled the air and Lan Wangji felt much of the tension leave him.

He knew he was moving towards weeks if not months of cold and discomfort, time away from all he knew and where he would need to be alert at all times for any danger that might befall them, the result of the endeavour uncertain even if the focus could be moved away from Wei Wuxian. Despite the thought though, he found himself anxious to begin the adventure, to walk once more up the mountain he had so regretfully left so long before. With a glance to where Wei Wuxian chatted happily with his brother, he felt a peace settle in him that had nothing to do with the place they were heading to and all to do with the company he would keep there.

Chapter 6: The Burial Mounds

Notes:

Thank you for all the support you have given this little story of mine so far! I'm absolutely blown away.

I'm delighted to say that this chapter contains another beautiful piece of art work from the amazing Sketch-a-Doodle, the beautiful A-Yuan being the cutest little wingman for his Xian-gege.

Chapter Text

The Lan and Jin guards swiftly became pale spots in the distance and Wei Wuxian helped Wen Ning navigate pony and cart up the mountain path until the sparse trees finally thickened enough to obscure them completely. One flash of bright white remained though, Lan Wangji scouting ahead and circling their small caravan like an overprotective mother hen, head tilted to every sound regardless of origin and his hand never far from the hilt of his sword. He wondered what the famed Second Jade feared more, an attack from someone intent on killing the Yiling Laozu or whatever lurked upon the mountain itself, certain even his eternally sensible friend could be swayed by the horrors he knew were often reported about the place. He could not blame him, the mountain still a haunted, bleak place even as they forged a home within it.

He heard the voices no one else could hear, those long dead and filled with resentment for it. They welcomed him home with a ghoulish glee but he felt their apprehension for his new companion, hissing in his mind at the threat Lan Wangji presented. They swiftly quieted though as Wei Wuxian responded with his own warning that Lan Wangji was not to be tormented, the ghostly residents of the mountain required to behave lest their master find them an existence far more miserable than the one they already knew. He knew they would obey, already leaving the Wen Remnants well enough alone, especially A-Yuan who had had his sleep disturbed one too many times until a sharp blast from Chenqing had put a sudden and swift end to it.

He could only hope that the good behaviour continued. Though he knew Lan Wangji would be fair in the reports he would be required to make to Lan Xichen and the other sect leaders, he did not want him to have anything to share that could jeopardise their already precarious position. Nor did he want him to feel there was anything he had to conceal, fearing he would ruin his own name in an effort to protect them.

He had not missed Lan Xichen's concerned face when they had reached the foothills of the mountains and Lan Wangji had said they no longer needed an escort, his brother acquiescing despite his clear misgivings and leaving the three of them alone to make the remainder of the journey to the settlement. He knew they would all be waiting for confirmation that Wei Wuxian and his band of Wens were everything evil in the world, for Lan Wangji to flee the mountain with tales of the horrors that had challenged even his bravery, for the slimmest excuse to mount an assault and destroy them all.

He pushed aside the thought, knowing he had more pressing things to concern himself with. Though the provisions they had been provided by their Lan protectors were more than they had had for a long time, it would still need rationing, none of them knowing how long their supposed luck would last. He refused to let it weigh to heavily on him though, wanting to enjoy for a short while the memory of seeing the people he loved, even if the time had only been brief. His eyes strayed to Lan Wangji, feeling a relief settle in his gut that he was with them even if his presence had been unexpected and a little alien on the barren terrain of the Burial Mounds.

He was glad their presence on the mountain and their frequent trips to and from Yiling had made the paths a little more serviceable than they had once been, the pony only having to be guided over rougher terrain on a couple of occasions. Wei Wuxian had laughed out loud at Lan Wangji’s expression when they had been forced to uncouple the cart for a small stretch of the road, Wen Ning dragging it himself with ease as Wei Wuxian guided the pony through the gap. Where he had expected his friend to frown at teasing, he instead saw the smallest of smiles on his lips, the first he had seen since they had left the comforts of Jinlintai.

'Last chance to escape, Lan Zhan,' said Wei Wuxian as they approached the wards that surrounded the village, 'You can hide yourself in Yiling and report back that you're with us if you like, none of us will tell on you and you'll certainly be comfier.'

'I have a duty to perform and I will do so fully,' said Lan Wangji, 'And I can hardly turn away now I have been seen.'

Wei Wuxian followed the direction Lan Wangji gestured with his sword, seeing the flash of black hair and then the gleam of wide, excited eyes from behind one of the trees just beyond the barrier.

'Did I tell you Lan Zhan,' he said, raising his voice to be heard by their small spy, 'That we have a particular rule here in the Burial Mounds that anyone who is not where he is supposed to be and is instead sneaking around because he has heard voices and run away from his Popo, does not get to have any of the treats Xian-gege may have brought back from his trip to Lanling.'

A sudden gasp and the sound of running feet followed the sudden disappearance of the eyes from the tree, Wei Wuxian smiling at Wen Ning's laugh and Lan Wangji's small smile.

'I have to tighten the wards more to keep him in than them out,' said Wei Wuxian, as he opened them enough to allow the pony and cart and his companions through before closing it tightly behind them, 'Curiouser by the day.'

'A child of his age craves adventure and stimulation. It is natural,' said Lan Wangji.

Wei Wuxian laughed, 'Are you telling me a three year old Hanguang-Jun was escaping his caregivers and giving trouble wherever he could?'

'I am told I was often to be found up a tree if I was given the chance to climb one.'

'Well I apologise that our trees are not robust enough to bear you now,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Did you ever manage to climb that fine old gentleman of a tree beside the waterfall?'

Lan Wangji nodded, 'I have the scar on my arm still from where I fell from the third branch.'

'I have one on my shoulder from climbing one that used to be just outside Lotus Pier. I was eight. Yu-Furen…' he said, shaking away the memory of the beating he had received for staining his robes and the melancholy that always came with thought of his sect leader and his wife, 'It was struck by lightning in a storm a year later, burned to the ground. It was quite a sight.'

'Wei-Gongzi,' said Wen Ning, interrupting his memory, 'Where would you like me to take the pony? We don't have a stable.'

'Take him to Si-Shu,' said Wei Wuxian, 'He has a few shelters that will do until we can fix something more permanent. We will need to unload the provisions and we should note down what we have. I want to be able to account for everything if we are required to.'

'Wei Ying, Xiongzhang will not need such an account,' said Lan Wangji, as voices slowly drifted down to them, 'Everything here belongs to you and the others now. It should be used as needed and not with the thought of debt. I can assure you, nothing is owed.'

'It will still be good to record it all,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Though we should have enough to last until the next load of provisions arrive, it would be foolish of us not to ensure we can stretch things. There are lean months ahead of us and the weather may cut us off. We could not leave for nearly twenty days last winter.'

Lan Wangji paled slightly, his eyes growing sad before he shook his head. 'That will not be an issue this year,' he said, 'If we cannot reach Yiling by road, I can do so by the sword.'

Wei Wuxian bit his lip as he imagined the elegant figure of Hanguang-Jun descending the mountain balanced on Bichen with a sack of turnips on his back and, quite possibly, a small boy attached to his thigh. The laughter that wanted to escape him was stronger though and soon won out, tears leaking from the corners of his eyes before he recovered himself.

'What is amusing?'

'Nothing, nothing,' said Wei Wuxian, waving a hand as though he could erase the irked expression his friend wore, 'Just everything is so different. The trades people in Yiling will not know how to deal with an esteemed cultivator selling Burial Mounds produce because the feared Yiling Laozu is trapped upon his own mountain.'

The corner of Lan Wangji's lips quirked slightly but Wei Wuxian saw the amusement all the same, glad that his friend could still smile even when he had stepped into what would be as much of a cage for him as it was for Wei Wuxian.

'Xian-gege! Xian-gege! A pony!'

'There's my little radish,' said Wei Wuxian, quickly scooping A-Yuan into his arms as the little boy ran at him, 'Have you been good and stayed with Popo whilst I've been gone.'

He laughed at the child's wide eyes as he nodded a little too vigorously.

'Xian-gege,' he said in a voice that was supposed to be a whisper but Wei Wuxian was sure it could be heard all the way back to Lanling, 'Rich-gege is here.'

'Rich-gege?' said Lan Wangji, cocking an elegant eyebrow and Wei Wuxian felt his own cheeks heat.

'He called you that when you were last here and it's stuck,' said Wei Wuxian, turning his attention back to the child in his arms, 'A-Yuan, Lan Er-Gongzi is here to help us all and we should address him accordingly. You should call him Lan Er-Gongzi or Hanguang-Jun. You should bow as well, do you remember how we were showing you.'

Wei Wuxian set the child back on his feet, the little boy still wide-eyed but this time with a serious look on his small face as he bowed neatly. His attempt at speaking Lan Wangji's title though came out a little slurred and muddled and Lan Wangji quickly crouched to be eye level with him once more.

'You may call me Zhan-gege, A-Yuan,' he said, 'If you prefer. I am here to be your friend.'

A-Yuan scratched absently at his head. 'Is Zhan-gege going to stay this time?' he said, 'Xian-gege was very sad when you went away before.'

Wei Wuxian cleared his throat, turning to Wen Qing as she approached from the swiftly gathering group of villagers but he still heard the answer, his heart managing some sort of weird twist in his chest at his friend's words.

'I am here for as long as you and Xian-gege need me,' said Lan Wangji, 'And I hope, if I do need to go again, I will be able to visit more often.'

'Something happened,' said Wen Qing, no question in her voice, 'I can tell from your face something has happened. Hanguang-Jun.'

Lan Wangji got to his feet and bowed despite the encumbrance of the child that wrapped himself around his thigh and sat down heavily on his boot. 'Wen-Guniang,' he replied, 'Forgive my unannounced arrival.'

'What happened?' said Wen Qing, her question once more directed at Wei Wuxian.

'Ah, Wen Qing, don't shout at me,' said Wei Wuxian with a pout that had A-Yuan giggling beneath them, 'It is Lan Zhan who is here without an invite, not me.'

'Wei Ying,' said Lan Wangji, 'This is no time for jokes. You should explain everything clearly. This affects everyone.'

'I am tired and hungry from the road and everyone is asking me questions. Have I not been subjected to enough these last days?' said Wei Wuxian, hating the number of anxious faces turned to him, the fear that had been slowly fading from them all in recent months firmly back in place.
Lan Wangji's voice came to his rescue though, buying him a little more time to put the events leading them back to the Burial Mounds with a member of the Lan Sect in tow in order in his own head.

'Wen-Guniang, the story is complex and the journey from Lanling has been a long one,' said Lan Wangji, 'I assure you all is well. We have brought provisions that need storing. Perhaps, Wei Ying can offer an explanation once that is done.'

Wen Qing's eyes narrowed before she nodded, 'Very well,' she said, 'We were not expecting company. Please accept a humble welcome, Hanguang-Jun.'

'I arrived unannounced,' said Lan Wangji, 'You should carry on as you always do.'

'Lan Zhan is going to have to put up with a lot of us in the weeks to come,' said Wei Wuxian, 'We might as well avoid giving him false impressions that we are in any way civilised.'

'You might be uncivilised,' said Wen Qing, 'But the rest of us know how to treat a guest. Hanguang-Jun, please come this way. Wei Wuxian, you can help A-Ning and the others put away what you've brought with you.'

Wei Wuxian pouted but it changed to a smile as he watched Lan Wangji reach down and gently pry A-Yuan from his leg, the little boy instead taking hold of his hand and chattering away happily as Lan Wangji followed Wen Qing back towards the main part of their small village.

'Wei-Gongzi,' said Wen Ning, pulling Wei Wuxian's attention to where he still stood supporting the heavy cart, 'Where shall we put everything?'
'Wen Ning,' said Wei Wuxian with fond exasperation, 'This way.'

It did not take them long to store the provisions, Wei Wuxian feeling some hope in the fact that the winter would not be as hard to endure as the previous one had been. Lan Wangji appeared not long after they began, removing several of the boxes and bags from the rest to claim as his own before distributing a few things from amongst them. The warm material he pressed into Wen Popo's hands was met by tears and gentle touches from the old woman, Lan Wangji enduring the physical affection with good grace though Wei Wuxian could see the pinch of discomfort between his eyebrows.

When the provisions for the village had been stowed, Wei Wuxian helped Lan Wangji to carry his possessions to his own room in the Demon-Subdue Palace. The state he had left it in had been barely fit for him but Lan Wangji had barely batted an eyelid, finding himself the least messy corner and setting his boxes and bags neatly before allowing Wei Wuxian to lead him out into the darkening evening to where the Wens were gathering for their evening meal.

Wei Wuxian hated the anxious eyes that turned on him as he haltingly explained what had come to pass, grateful for Lan Wangji who filled in the gaps whenever the story overwhelmed him. He watched the worry, fear, relief and apprehension rush over the faces of the people before him, questions whether or not to flee further quickly put to rest when Wei Wuxian informed them of his promise to Lan Xichen that they would remain in place until any decision was made. One they could only hope was in their favour.

Despite the bad feeling that simmered at them being once again under scrutiny and for the position Wei Wuxian and Wen Ning had nearly been forced into, they were all kind and courteous to Lan Wangji even if a few of them were somewhat overwhelmed by the presence of such an esteemed young cultivator.

A-Yuan, as he so often did, proved the light relief they all needed even with the weight of the news upon them. From his exclamations over the food to his unembarrassed and vocal admiration of the handsome face and clothes of their newest resident, he lightened the mood of all. As the night drew closer in, he positioned himself first on Lan Wangji's lap before crawling onto the more familiar space of Wei Wuxian's, asking for stories which he then peppered with too many questions to allow it to progress all that far.

He pretended not to feel the weight of his friend's eyes upon him as A-Yuan grew soft and sleepy against him, breathing in the soft, familiar scent of the child's hair and absently running a thumb now and then over the silky smoothness of his cheek. Despite the anxiety that ran through him not just for the ever present threat the cultivation world presented but also for the truths that Lan Wangji was at risk of learning in such close proximity, he felt also an odd sense of peace. Content that at least some of the people he cared for most in the world were nearby to him.

'Wei Ying,' said Lan Wangji as the conversation in the room began to dwindle, some already making for their beds or to the small watch they patrolled every night, 'Who should I speak to in terms of A-Yuan's education?'

'Education?' said Wei Wuxian, yawning as A-Yuan snuggled closer to him, his breathing even with sleep.

'Mn. I told you I had books for him,' said Lan Wangji, 'I intend to be useful whilst I am here and I thought I could offer to teach him. I instruct our young disciples at home.'

Wei Wuxian frowned, looking down at the child in his arms before returning his attention to his friend. He knew Lan Wangji would make an excellent teacher, calm and compassionate, but at the same time the education he could offer was born from a cultivation clan, a life the young Wen Yuan in his arms was so far from in his simple home.

'His Popo, Wen Qing and Wen Ning are the closest family he has left in the world,' said Wei Wuxian, 'You will need to speak with them but Lan Zhan, the world will never let him be a cultivator. Let him learn things that will be useful for a farmer or a merchant, you can't...don't give him hopes he can never achieve. It is better he never dreams even one dream of what he could have been.'

'He is young,' said Lan Wangji, 'I would only teach basic things. Mathematics, reading, calligraphy. He may not be able to become all he could have once been but that does not mean he should not have a good education. A strong base will give him something to start from.'

Wei Wuxian smiled, 'Make your arguments to his family,' he said, 'I have no say over his life, it's just my job to protect it. I'm sure his Popo will be happy if it means she gets a few short hours without him terrorising her.'

'He does not look capable of terrorising anyone right now,' said Lan Wangji, 'He should be in his bed.'

'As should you be,' said Wei Wuxian, 'It is after nine.'

'I do not want to be rude,' said Lan Wangji, 'And most of the others are still here.'

'And some will be until sun up,' said Wei Wuxian, 'We have no set hours or customs here. If you wait for the room to clear, you'll be asleep when the sun rises. Come on, I have some work to do, you can sleep whilst I do so.'

He got to his feet, hefting the sleeping child into his arms, his favourite toy tumbling from his grip to the floor. Lan Wangji retrieved it as he stood, tucking it back into A-Yuan's arm as the boy stirred a little.

'Zhan-gege,' he said, his voice slurred with sleep, 'Stay until the morning?'

'I will stay,' said Lan Wangji, running a hand along his back, 'Sleep well, A-Yuan.'

'I'll take him to his bed,' said Wei Wuxian, 'If you need anything, I'll be there in a short while.'

'I will be fine,' said Lan Zhan, picking up Bichen from where it rested against the table, heading away from the gathering and back towards Wei Wuxian's room.

He carried the child through the growing quiet of the room, pausing occasionally to answer a question or converse briefly with those still awake, the change in his relationship with them one he was proud of. When they had arrived, he had been held up as some sort of figurehead and saviour, the position an uncomfortable one for him. Now, with so much time of suffering and surviving with them, they had stopped feeling like a group of people he had pulled from the jaws of death and had turned into a small family.

If he had thought of anyone else joining them, he was sure it would have seemed odd, no one able to find their place in the group that had gone through so much together. When Lan Wangji had visited before, he had spent very little time with the Wens other than Wen Qing, Wen Ning and A-Yuan, and Wei Wuxian had heard the whispered conversations about the great cultivator for many weeks following. Now though, with Lan Wangji so suddenly thrust into their midst, it did not seem so alien. He knew his friend was trying his best to be personable, a softness around him that he had only seen glimpses of before, certain the world Lan Wangji had stepped in was as strange to him as his presence was to those who already lived there. He knew they would make the best of it though and he was grateful to know they had the best swordsman in the cultivation world firmly on their side.

With A-Yuan deposited into the care of Wen-Popo, Wei Wuxian returned to his own rooms, finding Lan Wangji sat upon a bedroll in the corner he had claimed for his own, his qin set on his lap as he plucked out a simple tune.

'I thought I would find you asleep,' said Wei Wuxian, the low burning candles casting much of the room in shadows.

'I did not want to sleep until you returned,' said Lan Wangji, 'I did not wish to be an inconvenience if I had placed anything where it should not be.'

Wei Wuxian smiled, 'I am so used to stepping over my own stuff, it will make no odds to be stepping over yours too,' he said, 'I'm sorry we can't offer rooms more suited to you. We have been working on building better houses but materials are expensive and most of us are learning as we go so they're taking time.'

'I will ask Xiongzhang to provide what is needed when I write to him next,' said Lan Wangji, 'We have building materials to spare from where we have been restoring the Cloud Recesses.'

'I would not want to impose on Zewu-Jun,' said Wei Wuxian, 'We'll manage. I'll arrange for them to have something ready for you as soon as they can.'

'Do all the others have houses of their own?'

'Not as yet but…'

'Then I will manage,' said Lan Wangji, 'This is their home. I could not accept a dwelling until the others are all housed properly. If Wei Ying wishes me to sleep elsewhere, I am sure I can find space alongside the pony.'

Wei Wuxian laughed but it turned into a sigh as the melody beneath Lan Wangji's fingers changed to one he remembered from the aftermath of their battle with the Tortoise of Slaughter. 'If you do not intend to sleep, will you play awhile for me whilst I work?' he asked, 'No one else here is particularly musically inclined, though Wen Qing plays well when she needs to, and it's just been me and my dizi for so long.'

Lan Wangji nodded, 'You should sleep soon though,' he said, 'You are tired.'

Usually, Wei Wuxian would deny such a statement but instead he nodded, setting aside Chenqing and sitting cross legged upon his own bed. 'I am,' he said, 'I didn't sleep in Lanling. People were willing to assassinate me in broad daylight, I did not want to think of what they might have tried when I was sleeping and with Wen Ning...I only wanted to save him and now I have made him something that can be manipulated so cruelly. I didn't think...things could have been so different, Lan Zhan.'

'But it is not,' said Lan Wangji, 'And we can move forward. The past is the past. We can learn from it but we should not dwell on it.'

'I've missed you,' said Wei Wuxian, flushing as the unconsidered words left his lips, 'I'm surrounded by farmers, I've missed having a philosopher nearby.'

'A philosopher is not much use in the fields,' said Lan Wangji, his eyes on the strings before him, 'I have missed you too.'

The younger Wei Wuxian would have teased at hearing such words, made a show of the great Hanguang-Jun, who had seemed to hate him so much once, admitting to missing him, but the Wei Wuxian who had known for too long what it was to live with the ache of missing someone in his chest only gentled his smile and studied the handsome face of his dearest friend even as he feared growing too used to seeing it in his once lonely room.

The work he had planned was soon forgotten, instead finding himself humming along with the melodies Lan Wangji played. Though part of him feared him slipping into Cleansing or some other piece imbued with spiritual energy, he still allowed the music to carry him until the candles had burned to stubs and he found himself drowsing on his bed.

He cracked an eye as he heard the music stop, Lan Wangji getting to his feet and crossing the room to him before a warm blanket that smelled too new to be one of his own was laid over him.

'Goodnight, Wei Ying.'

'Goodnight, Lan Zhan,' said Wei Wuxian, letting darkness surround him once more, 'I'm glad you're here.'

The answer came in the soft rustle of cloth on cloth as Lan Wangji settled down in his own makeshift bed, the sound of his breathing soft and even after only a few moments and Wei Wuxian quickly followed suit.

He wasn't sure how long he slept for, the candles all extinguished and the cave in full darkness save for one small light set a safe distance from Lan Wangji's bed but that Wei Wuxian was certain had not been alight before they went to sleep. He smiled as he realised what had woken him, a small familiar voice whispering softly in the darkness.

'Zhan-gege, can I sleep in with you tonight?'

'You have your own bed,' came Lan Wangji's reply, 'Why do you want to sleep on the floor with me?'

'I don't want you to go away again,' said A-Yuan, 'Xian-gege was so sad and I don't want him to be sad any more. He was sad that he could not see his sister and Zhan-gege. His sister has to be far away because she had a baby but Zhan-gege can stay and make Xian-gege smile more.'

'I already promised you I would stay,' said Lan Wangji, with a soft sigh, 'If I promise again, will you go to sleep?'

'Promise to make Xian-gege smile?'

'Xian-gege is always smiling,' said Lan Wangji.

'He has a special smile for Zhan-gege,' said A-Yuan, 'Popo says it is his secret smile that he only has for one person.'

Wei Wuxian swallowed down the gasp that wanted to escape him, hating Lan Wangji's silence that followed A-Yuan's bold statement. He wanted to further open his eyes, to try and make out Lan Wangji's expression but he dared not when it could give away that he was awake and listening.

'I promise to make Xian-gege smile as often as I can,' promised Lan Wangji after what felt like an hour rather than only a few moments, his voice soft but Wei Wuxian was sure he could hear the smile behind it, 'Cuddle up tight if you are staying. It is cold tonight.'

A-Yuan's soft, snuffly response sounded as though it was already buried in the folds of Lan Wangji's robes. Silence reigning again for a moment before Wei Wuxian heard Lan Wangji's deep humming lullaby. He did not recognise the tune but it sounded like many-a cradle song did. He wondered if it was one Lan-Furen had once sung over her young son, wondering if he would in turn sing it to his own child one day. Wei Wuxian wondered what the woman would have made of the situation her youngest was in if she were yet alive in the world. Would she trust Wei Wuxian to do his best to spare him from sights and sounds he should not have to see? Would she be proud of Lan Wangji for giving up all he knew to protect a gaggle of misfits who only wanted to live in peace? Would she smile at the sight of how tenderly her once standoffish son treated a young child who knew nothing of manners and acted only on the instincts that all small children had?

The thoughts carried him into his dreams, away from the cold and the dark and the ever present voices in the back of his head. Away to a place where they knew peace and he was able to keep A-Yuan and Lan Wangji at his side without anything ever threatening to take them away.

/

Chapter 7: Honest Work

Notes:

Hi guys. Thank you again for all your support with this fic. A word of warning that I might slow down a little in posting as it is Panto season at work so I'm working a lot more and certainly a lot more tired than I normally am. I will hopefully keep things to twice a week where I can though. xx

Chapter Text

The day was well underway when Wei Wuxian woke, stretching luxuriously beneath the warm blanket Lan Wangji had laid over him in the night and realising with a smile that the nightmares that so often plagued him had failed to disturb his rest for once. He rose from the bed, quickly putting himself to rights and making short work of the breakfast someone had left out on the table for him. The freshness of it brought with it a wave of gratitude for the protection and help the Lan Sect had offered them, so used to food that was stale or dry from being stored for too long, his own portion always one of the last to be served at his own request.

He was not ignorant of how difficult it must have been for Lan Xichen to offer the last of the Wen sect aid when the Cloud Recesses was still rebuilding after the devastating attack Wen Xu had visited upon them. Still, he trusted that Lan Xichen was wise and compassionate enough to see beyond a name and had listened to his brother when he had reported that the people Wei Wuxian protected were indeed those who would never pose a threat to the cultivation world. He could only hope that nothing happened to derail the trust he had shown in them all, knowing he would ensure they lived an even quieter life than they already did in the hope that they would go undisturbed.

With his hunger sated and a warmth sitting pleasantly in his belly, he tucked Chenqing into his belt and headed out into the fresh, cool light of the morning. He found the Wens already busy at their work, the small areas of earth they had reclaimed for farming steadily emptying as the growing season came to an end, only the hardier of their crops remaining in the soil. The ones that were empty were being dug out and turned in preparation for their winter’s rest and reseeding when the weather permitted it. It took him several turns around the settlement to find Lan Wangji, beginning to doubt that he had even returned with them and that he had instead fallen into some fever dream of his company the night before. It was only the flash of sunlight against a familiar cloud charm that finally gave him away but Wei Wuxian still had to double take, certain he would never have been able to picture his friend in such simple clothing.

Gone was the fine cloth and pristine white he had once known, instead the colours were muted greys and browns that the others wore, the garments both baggy and tight in places where they had not been made for his frame. If the clothes were a shock, the sight of the rake in his hands was even more so, his movements measured as he carefully followed Si-Shu’s instructions and allowed himself to be corrected where needed.

'Lan Zhan!' he said, 'I did not realise the Lan Sect had changed their attire. Is more simple clothing a step towards better cultivation?'

Lan Wangji looked up, squinting a little in the low, thin sunlight before he spoke quietly to Si-Shu and left the ground he was tending, propping his rake amongst the other gathered tools before he crossed the short distance to Wei Wuxian.

The tease died on Wei Wuxian's lips as he grew closer, the hems of his borrowed robes already flecked with mud and fine wisps of hair escaping from its usual immaculate styling. He saw the minute his friend noticed the change of his humours, a frown forming a small crease between his eyebrows.

'Wei Ying?' he said, 'What is wrong?'

'You don't need to do that,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I don't think your brother sent you here to farm.'

'No, he sent me here to observe and protect those living here,' said Lan Wangji, 'What I choose to do whilst doing that is up to me. I do not plan to sit idle whilst others toil.'

Wei Wuxian pouted, 'They send me away if I try to help.'

'I understand that is because you were considered more of a danger than a help with farming tools,' said Lan Wangji, a small hint of a smile teasing at the corners of his lips as Wei Wuxian laughed.

'That is probably true,' he said, 'I thought you intended to teach A-Yuan.'

'A-Yuan is only three, he does not need many hours of instruction yet,' said Lan Wangji, 'And I need to speak with his family first to see what direction they would like his education to take.'

'He'll do anything you ask of him, I'm sure,' said Wei Wuxian, 'He is very fond of you. He was sad the last time you left. Kept that little woven butterfly you gave him under his pillow until he had loved it to bits. You will have to treat him to a replacement at some point. I bought him one but it isn't the same as one from you.'

'I was sorry to leave you both then,' said Lan Wangji, 'I am glad to have returned.'

Wei Wuxian smiled, knowing his words were genuine when he would have questioned anyone else's. 'Say that again after the rain has come and found all the leaky places in the cave and nothing you own is truly dry,' he said, 'Pray whatever they decide in Jinlintai comes quickly so you do not have to be here when the worst of the winter hits.'

'This winter will not be so bad,' said Lan Wangji, 'Xiongzhang will send whatever supplies you need.'

'So long as those who are most vulnerable are cared for, we won't ask for anything else.'

'You can ask for as much as you need for all of you,' said Lan Wangji, with a soft sigh, 'I wish you had written to me last winter, told me what was happening, I would have...'

Wei Wuxian smiled sadly, 'I am too proud to beg, Lan Zhan.'

'It is not begging when you are asking for help from a friend,' said Lan Wangji, 'It pains me to think what you all suffered through and I'm a fool that I didn't think it would be so. This time, do not suffer in silence, whatever we can do to help, our sect has pledged to do. I will see it done.'

'To know A-Yuan will not cry himself to sleep on an empty stomach will be enough for all of us,' said Wei Wuxian, blinking away the mist that had settled over his eyes, 'I am already grateful for the help we have been given.'

'Xian-gege! Zhan-gege!'
The cheerful shout broke through the sudden melancholy and preceded the small blur of overexcited child, A-Yuan stumbling as he failed to decide soon enough whose leg to grab and instead nearly landed face first between them if it was not for Lan Wangji quickly catching him over one arm, sweeping him up with ease to sit on his hip.
'Zhan-gege is really tall!' he squealed with delight, 'Tall as a tree.'

'He is not taller than me,' said Wei Wuxian, affecting a pout as he drew himself up as tall as he could, 'A-Yuan never says I am tall as a tree.'

A-Yuan giggled as Wei Wuxian prodded gently at his cheeks, feeling the soft warmth that was testament to the additional layer wrapped around him, recognising the fabric the garment was fashioned from as coming from the stock Lan Wangji had brought.

'When I am grown I want to be as tall as Zhan-gege and as pretty as Xian-gege,' said A-Yuan.

'Ah, there!' said Wei Wuxian, 'That is why you are my favourite of all the radish children. When all the other radish children grow, they will never be as smart as A-Yuan. See Lan Zhan, the boy is already a scholar of the visual arts, so you can focus on the other disciplines.'

'A-Yuan will excel in all subjects, I am sure,' said Lan Wangji, sharing a small smile with the boy, 'He is very clever.'

Wei Wuxian caught Wen Popo's smile as she watched the child rest his head against Lan Wangji's shoulder, his own heart feeling a little lighter that A-Yuan had such a staunch protector. As A-Yuan continued to babble about everything and nothing to his new friend though, darker thoughts began to enter his mind. He knew he should be happy at the sight before him, but his mind was cruel and instead erased everyone else from the scene one by one until only Lan Wangji and A-Yuan were left, clinging to each other in desperation rather than happily as they truly were before him. It felt like something that could have been. If Jin Zixuan and Lan Wangji had been a few moments later then the Wens would have been at the mercy of the Jin Sect and all the others who would stand beside them to rid the world of the feared Yiling Laozu.

Wei Wuxian had his tricks. Wei Wuxian had his wits. Wei Wuxian did not have the strength to repel the world forever. Even now, they were only kept safe by the fractured testimony of a man Wei Wuxian barely recognised and the protection of the Lan Sect which could be withdrawn in moments if Lan Xichen had any suspicion that Wei Wuxian had infringed on his promises. He felt like a pile of dry kindling in a lightning storm, one stray spark away from being reduced to ashes.

'Wei Ying?'

He frowned as he looked down at the pale hand encircling his wrist before up again at Lan Wangji, seeing the frown settle between his eyebrows. He quickly loosened his arm from the light grip, rubbing absently at the pulse point as Lan Wangji's fingers curled in on themselves as he frowned.

'Where's A-Yuan?' said Wei Wuxian as he realised the child was no longer sat on his friend's hip.

'He has gone to visit his radish brothers and sisters,' said Lan Wangji, 'I was told you would explain.'

Wei Wuxian smiled sadly. 'He misses his siblings,' he said, 'They were killed during the war. A while ago, I pretended to bury him like a radish and he asked if we could grow some brothers and sisters. It was a silly game but he has taken it to heart. I fear he will be disappointed when he discovers that growing siblings is not something we can achieve and that radishes will always be just radishes.'

'He needs companions of his own age,' said Lan Wangji.

'Sadly, not even the children in Yiling will play with him when we go there. They may buy what we sell and sell us their own wares but to treat us like people, to treat A-Yuan like a child, is beyond them,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Sometimes I think it would have been better if we just kept going, left everything behind. After a while, people would have stopped looking.'

Lan Wangji shook his head, 'I would not have stopped looking,' he said, smoothing a wrinkle from the simple clothes he wore 'I should return to the field. I understand Wen-Guniang was looking for you and you should not keep her waiting.'

Wei Wuxian sighed, 'She's probably going to…' he began but stopped as Lan Wangji turned and returned to the work he had left, still managing to somehow appear the picture of elegance despite his borrowed clothes.

He turned his feet to where he had last seen Wen Qing, finding her not far from where he had expected, counting through the remaining building materials they had gathered in the hope of building at least a few more solid structures before the winter truly set in.

'It will take a great deal of effort on our part to repay Lan-Zongzhu for all of this,' she said by way of greeting.

'I am told no repayment is necessary,' said Wei Wuxian, 'So long as we give Lan Zhan back to him unharmed.'

Wen Qing sighed, 'How can you joke at a time like this?' she said, 'Do you really think all will be well just because the Lan Sect chose to stand up for you…'

'For us,' said Wei Wuxian, 'And I trust them to be honest. I trust Zewu-Jun. I trust Lan Zhan. This has come from a place of kindness. Zewu-Jun is not vindictive, he can identify the difference between the Wens who took Cloud Recesses and us.'

'Us? I was not aware your family name had changed.'

'In the eyes of the world it may as well have done,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Whatever name we have, we are all one and the same. You should be more upset that your good name is spoken in the same breath as my not so good one.'

Wen Qing turned back to her counting, making notes as she went and leaving Wei Wuxian to watch, twirling Chenqing through his fingers.

'Was that all you needed me for?'

'Can you trust him? Truly?'

'Yes,' he said without hesitation and without needing to ask who she meant, 'Yes, I can trust him. You can trust him. Whatever others may mean by their actions, his are wholly and entirely good. He will never willingly bring harm to the people here, regardless of what the world says about us.'

Wen Qing nodded. 'Si-Shu has made a fresh batch of wine,' she said, 'It would be best you do not sample more than a cup or two.'

Wei Wuxian smiled. 'Understood,' he said, turning on his heel and leaving her to her counting.

He knew her concerns were valid, the hand of kindness being extended after so long feeling a little forced but he knew he would at least trust Lan Zhan and his brother, hoping the latter was not too easily worked upon by the other sects who would sooner see the Burial Mounds bathed in blood than fed and sheltered. He knew they would need to remain wary, too many lives at risk if something went wrong, but he could hope for a while that they would know food and comfort even if it was of the simpler kind.

He was not ignorant of the threat that still loomed though, nothing easily saved even with the Lan Sect behind them, the council continuing between the sect leaders no doubt debating the lives of those who had been cultivators, Wen Ning's existence and use, the Yin Hu Fu that was a weapon they feared and coveted in equal measure.

He pressed a hand to his chest, feeling the familiar ache there that would never leave him, wondering if they would still wish to possess it if they all understood the price the weapon exacted from its master. He knew few would be strong enough to bear it, certain he himself was nowhere near capable but he would continue on for as long as it was necessary to do so to keep those he cared for safe.

He shook off the melancholy turn of his thoughts, listening instead to the low chatter that carried from the fields and the building projects that surrounded him. With little to do for entertainment and no need to leave the mountain to sell, he soon found himself back in his cave and engrossed in the design of a warming talisman he planned to line the houses with as the cold set in without catching them alight as he had managed with every spare piece of wood he had experimented on.

The clink of the cup placed at his elbow roused him from his work, frowning at how dim the light in the cave had become and fearing rain would soon come over them and leave everything damp before he realised that the night was drawing in outside.

'Have you been here all day?' said Lan Wangji, making his way towards the corner of the room he had claimed for his own and retrieving a comb and several other items from his bag.

'Working,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Have you finished playing in the dirt?'

'The field is turned and covered until the spring,' said Lan Wangji, 'It will not be good for anything delicate but hardier plants may grow.'

'You are beginning to sound like a farmer. Your uncle will want to kill me even more than he already does,' said Wei Wuxian, rubbing a hand over his tired eyes, 'Lan Zhan, will you play for me a while?'

'Not this evening.'

'Oh? What…'

He heard the smallest pained intake of breath, turning to see Lan Wangji close his hand tightly, his features pinched with pain for a moment before they relaxed again. Wei Wuxian smiled a little sadly to himself, recognising the expression on his friend's face along with his stubbornness.

'It's alright to ask for help,' he said, getting to his feet and crossing the room in a few short strides, capturing Lan Wangji's hand before he had a chance to further conceal it, 'Even with sword work, farming tools find a way of seeking out the soft parts.'

Lan Wangji slowly uncurled his fingers, revealing a hand bearing the familiar marks and calluses caused by his sword and his qin but, in the remaining soft places the skin was raw, broken and bleeding in places.

'My hands were wrecked the first time I tried anything,' said Wei Wuxian, 'It's one of the reasons they tell me to keep well away from most of the planting now, that and the fact that I'm awful at it. Come over here, I have some ointment to clean it with. If they get any worse, see Wen Qing, the soil here isn't exactly healthy and you don't want to get sick, even if your core is strong enough to fight it.'

'They will be alright,' said Lan Wangji, trying to close his hand again.

'Lan Zhan,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I promised your brother nothing bad would happen to you. Don't make me break my promise.'

Lan Wangji sighed but nodded, following Wei Wuxian to his work bench and allowing him to tend to his hands. Wei Wuxian bit down on his lip, wanting to fill the silence between them with conversation, but he knew it would be one-sided and there was something oddly comforting about sitting in the quiet with his friend. As he tied a slim bandage around Lan Wangji's hand to cover the worst of the cuts, he allowed his hand to rest for a moment, fingers gently brushing Lan Wangji's palm as he met his gaze.

'Thank you for helping them today,' said Wei Wuxian, 'They are working hard but many of them are long past their prime, they need a strong back to help sometimes. I do what I can but I spend most of the time trying to strengthen the protection spells.'

'I am glad to help,' said Lan Wangji, 'Honest labour has great value. The longer I am here, the more I understand. If they need protection, I am here. If you need help, I will help you.'

Wei Wuxian smiled, 'Don't say that too loud, I'm informed there is a spy in the camp who is charged with spilling all our secrets to the other sects,' he said, seeing the answering twitch of Lan Wangji's lips, 'Dinner will be ready soon. Will you join us again or would you prefer I have something brought here? They won't mind, I often eat alone.'
'I promised A-Yuan we would have dinner with him. I hope you do not mind. He said he had missed you a lot when you were away in Lanling.'

'That boy,' said Wei Wuxian fondly, 'He brings such hope even in a place like this. We shouldn't disappoint him. Come on.'

'A moment,' said Lan Wangji, his hand slipping from beneath Wei Wuxian's as he got to his feet, 'I promised I would bring a book for us to read together.'

'Well the three thousand rules of GusuLan will certainly ensure he falls asleep early,' said Wei Wuxian, earning a scowl in return but he could see the playfulness in the corners of Lan Wangji's eyes, 'If we all gather round, no one will need any of Si-Shu's fruit wine to send them to sleep.'

'Wei Ying should demonstrate how well he knows the rules by reciting them,' said Lan Wangji, tucking the slim book he took from the box into his robes, 'You copied them often enough.'

'Ah but Lan Zhan, you know my memory, I can't recall a thing.'

'You did once,' said Lan Wangji softly, 'At the indoctrination.'

Wei Wuxian felt his cheeks heat, remembering the humiliating punishment Lan Wangji had faced alongside him and Jin Zixuan for not reciting the Wen code they had been provided with.

'Forgive me for that,' he said, 'I only thought to annoy Wen Chao, I didn't think about the hurt it could cause you when so much had been lost.'

Lan Wangji shook his head, 'I feared then that the only voice I would hear speak them aloudd again would be my own,' he said, 'It was a comfort to know you did indeed recall them.'

'Well, I had a good supervisor during my punishment who ensured I copied them properly,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Come on or A-Yuan will be over tired and grumpy before you can read your book to him.'

Lan Wangji simply nodded before he allowed Wei Wuxian to lead him from the cave and towards where the others were beginning to gather for their evening meal.

Chapter 8: The Outside

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

It felt odd to be dressed once more in white, the material fine and unmarked with mud or the occasional small inky handprint that he seemed to collect as a badge of honour each time A-Yuan took a lesson with him. In the two weeks he had been in the Burial Mounds he had grown used the routine he had devised for himself, the rituals becoming almost as well-known as those he maintained in the Cloud Recesses.

In the morning he would wake at five, meditate, prepare for the day, and help whichever of the Wens were already up and preparing the morning meal. He would make a detour back to the Demon Subdue Palace, which had stopped being such an intimidating title when he realised it was a space where Wei Wuxian could be as messy and as eccentric as he wished without prying eyes, bringing Wei Wuxian a tray of food for when he finally crawled out from beneath the pile of blankets that made up his bed. He would quickly rearrange whatever mess his friend had made the evening before, leaving anything that looked too volatile before heading out to the fields.

The farming work was growing minimal as the cold and the frost truly began to set in, most of those patches of earth that could be turned and covered for the spring dealt with, but he never found himself idle. His strength and youth made him a useful apprentice builder, often partnered with Wen Ning for the fetching and carrying of the wood and building materials they needed for the shelters.

His afternoons were spent teaching A-Yuan along with several others in the camp whose education had ended early as they had turned to the fields. It was a pleasure to have people eager to learn, lessening the ache for home and the young people he was given care of there as he helped them all. Wei Wuxian would often linger towards the lessons end, praising the work and even asking A-Yuan for copies to keep, the little boy only too happy to oblige and not realising he was offering an extra copy of his lesson even when he had protested about doing so moments before.

The evenings though were his favourite times. When the lessons were ended and tasks of the day completed, it had become almost a habit for him to walk the perimeter of the land the Wens had claimed in the Burial Mounds with Wei Wuxian, checking the wards and ensuring they were as safe as they could be for the night. The conversation differed depending on the events of the day but they were equally content to walk in silence until they returned to the Demon Subdue Palace to prepare for the evening meal with the Wens.

He had grown up used to communal meals, albeit ones taken in silence, but he soon adapted to the meal times with the Wens, sitting most often with A-Yuan and Wen Popo which, by extension, included Wen Qing, Wen Ning and Wei Wuxian, though the people at the table were interchangeable depending on the needs of the day. Where at the beginning he had sat quietly, he had soon been persuaded to play his qin after they had eaten, accompanied occasionally by Wei Wuxian’s dizi. Other times he was content to listen to the stories or songs some of the others shared, ignoring Wei Wuxian's teasing whenever they grew a little more bawdy than the entertainments provided in Gusu. The nights always ended the same way though, Lan Zhan playing his qin from his bed in the corner, now blissfully raised from the ground by a rudimentary wooden frame, before he settled to sleep listening to Wei Wuxian work on his many projects over the other side of the room.

It was a simple but satisfying existence and he often had to remind himself that he had been placed there to witness and observe but he knew he would have very little to report. Wei Wuxian seemed more intent on farming talismans than pursuing any darker forms of cultivation, the only time Lan Wangji even witnessed anything of the demonic path the world beyond so feared was when Wen Ning required help settling or the resident spirits of the Burial Mounds chose to cause trouble. Lan Wangji knew his friend was capable of far more devastating feats than calming restless ghosts but his pursuit of them was pushed aside in favour of helping the people he had chosen to protect.

It had been a shock to receive the letter from his brother, delivered first into Wen Qing's hands when she had headed into Yiling for a few necessary medical supplies for the coming winter that she did not trust anyone else to choose. Though he had expected to hear from him, it had been a sudden reminder of the world beyond the mountain, not least when he requested permission to visit in person and bring further supplies with him. Lan Wangji had written back to extend a welcome from Wei Wuxian and the Wens to visit but rather than looking forward to seeing him, Lan Wangji feared the news and changes he could well bring with him, summoned home before he had even been able to write of the Burial Mounds in his own words.

'I'm not used to you in white any more,' said Wei Wuxian, pulling him from his thoughts, 'You look...you look like you don't belong here in that but I guess...tell me to shut up, Lan Zhan, I'm rambling.'

Lan Wangji twisted his hair in his hands, fixing the heavy silver hairpiece in place, the weight of it alien after being traded for simpler ties when he had been in the fields or building shelters. 'We agreed it would be better for us to welcome Xiongzhang formally,' he said, 'I don't often see you in such attire either.'

The black and crimson robes Wei Wuxian wore were the same as those he had worn in Lanling, elegant and well cut rather than the simpler clothes he too preferred when behind the protection of the wards.

'I don't know what you mean, Hanguang-Jun,' said Wei Wuxian, twirling Chenqing idly around his fingers, 'I am the feared and terrible Yiling Laozu! Surely I march around here all day in all my splendour committing nefarious deeds and plotting the downfall of the world.'

'While instead you make incessant noise and avoid your chores,' said Lan Wangji, 'A terror indeed.'

Wei Wuxian laughed brightly, 'Ah Lan Zhan, you really are my favourite, I am so glad they sent you to be my jailer.'

Lan Wangji frowned, setting aside the comb he had been pulling through his hair, 'I am not your jailer,' he said, 'I'm here to help.'

'You're here to find out what I do when they can't get up the mountain to see me,' said Wei Wuxian, 'And to make sure I don't get away in case they find something they want to pin on me. You may believe you are here to help, they think very differently.'

'Then whose opinion matters?' said Lan Wangji, hearing the edge that had been on many of Wei Wuxian's words since the letter had arrived from Lan Xichen, 'Do you not trust me? I have said I will help and that I will speak the truth when it is asked of me and the truth is that I have witnessed nothing from you or any of the others that would even remotely suggest you intend to present a threat.'

Wei Wuxian sighed, 'Lan Wangji, Lan Wangji, you are so very clever and yet so very blind,' he said, 'They want to ensure I am kept in place until they find a way to blame everything on me.'

'I will not let them.'

'Let's just get this over with,' said Wei Wuxian, getting to his feet, the playfulness of only moments before chased away entirely and leaving him distant and quiet.

It was a mood Lan Wangji had witnessed frequently since his arrival, Wei Wuxian's tempers mercurial and unpredictable though he was never cruel, more often than not disappearing into solitude that seemed to be respected by all the villagers, even A-Yuan having a sense of when his Xian-gege was better left alone.

Lan Wangji nodded, packing his things away neatly and straightening the bed as he rose from where he had been sitting upon it. He didn't speak as they headed out of the cave but kept his eyes on his friend, pretending not to see the tremble in his hand as he held Chenqing before he clasped them firmly behind his back.

Wen Qing stood waiting for them at the mouth of the cave, she too dressed in her finest robes, once more the young cultivator rather than a refugee scratching a living from the barren land that surrounded them. Though Wen Ning would remain visible, he had requested the chance to hang back from the main group who would greet Lan Xichen's arrival, busying himself instead with the work that still needed doing to prepare for winter regardless of who was visiting.

'The lower wards activated a few moments ago,' she said by way of greeting, 'They shouldn't be too long. We should make our way to the barrier.'

'At least this time we have tea to offer a guest, even if it is paid for with his money,' said Wei Wuxian, sharing a look with Wen Qing that seemed to speak volumes, though Lan Wangji could not understand the words, 'We'll be alright.'

Wen Qing nodded, 'They know what to do,' she said, 'The route through the mountain is clear.'

Lan Wangji wanted to reassure them that his brother would not bring a threat to them that would warrant the others to flee but he knew it was better that they were prepared, his own innocently sent letter having lured his dearest friend into a trap he had barely escaped from.

'Xian-gege! Zhan-gege! Qing-gugu! Look! I...oops, I mustn't.'

A-Yuan skidded to a halt, putting his hands firmly behind his back as he looked up at them.

'What mustn't you do, radish?' said Wei Wuxian, crouching down in front of him.

'A-Yuan must not touch the pretty clothes,' parroted the boy from whatever relation had taught him so, 'A-Yuan will get them all dirty and it will mean the mean people on the outside will think badly of us.'

Wei Wuxian sighed, 'A-Yuan, no one could ever think badly of you because of a little dirt.'

'Popo said…'

'It is good to respect fine things,' said Lan Wangji, 'And to try not to make clean things dirty if it is possible to do so. Those who are coming to visit us though, will not think badly for a little dust here and there.'

A-Yuan's eyes were liquid as he looked up at him, his hands leaving their place behind his back but instead wringing in front of him. 'Zhan-gege,' he said, lips trembling, 'Zhan-gege isn't going to go away with the new people is he?'

'Not today,' said Lan Wangji, wishing he could promise more.

'The barrier,' said Wei Wuxian, getting to his feet, 'A-Yuan, go to Popo. I promise I won't let Zhan-gege leave us yet. He has to finish the story he was reading to us.'

'Tonight! Tonight! Tonight!' said A-Yuan, bouncing in place as his mood changed as swiftly as only a child's could before he raced off in search of his grandmother.

Lan Wangji felt the urge to follow him, looking down at his pristine white robes and wanting nothing more to change into the robes A-Yuan wasn't afraid to touch, all too often climbing into his lap without warning or asking to be carried whenever Lan Wangji was walking with him. Instead, he followed behind Wen Qing and Wei Wuxian as they took the path down to the barrier, the fluttering of white amongst the shadowy brush becoming swiftly apparent and bringing with it a jarring reminder of the world beyond.

His heart lifted a little as he saw his brother's smiling face. Lan Xichen stood respectfully back from the wards, patient and still as he waited for them to reach them.

'Wei-Zongzhu, Wen-Guniang, Wangji, it is good to see you all,' he said with a bow that they all echoed.

'Zewu-Jun,' said Wei Wuxian, waving a hand and dispelling the wards without hesitance, his fears that Lan Wangji had seen on his face easily concealed, 'Come inside.'

'My thanks,' said Lan Xichen, stepping onto the path with them, 'I am sorry to bring you down from warmer places on such a cold day.'
'Believe me, it is not much warmer even in the buildings,' said Wen Qing, 'But we have a fire inside and invite you all to it.'

'Then we should talk there,’ said Zewu-Jun, waving in the disciples who were leading two heavy carts and the ponies that pulled them, 'I had to make a guess as to what was needed. If someone could provide a list of your more regular requirements, I can ensure they are covered when the next load is delivered.'

Lan Wangji relaxed a little at his words, knowing if his brother was talking of future provisions then the Wens and Wei Wuxian were still considered under Lan protection and no final decisions had been made on their fate.

He was glad his brother was so well versed in conversation, allowing him to take his natural lead as they returned to the settlement. His warm greetings were soon being extended to the Wens he encountered on the way, enquiring about the fields and their building work, even Wen Ning managing a small smile as Lan Xichen greeted him the same as he had all the others. When they reached some of the elders, gathered around one of the makeshift firepits as they saw to their tasks, Lan Xichen waved them down from standing and asking them to continue with their work.

A-Yuan peered from behind his grandmother as Lan Xichen passed the customary greetings, his eyes wide and curious as he regarded the newcomer. 'Popo,' he said, his whisper far louder than his usual spoken voice, 'Why does the new person look like Zhan-gege?'
'Zhan-gege?' said Lan Xichen, turning to his brother with a smile.

'A-Yuan has called me such since I arrived,' said Lan Wangji.

'Zhan-gege is called Lan Zhan,' said A-Yuan, appearing from behind his grandmother's skirts, 'He was Rich-gege but Xian-gege says I shouldn't call him that any more so I call him Zhan-gege. Who are you?'

Lan Xichen laughed before he covered it with a cough, 'My apologies, Wen-Gongzi, we have not been formally introduced,' he said with a bow, 'I am Lan Xichen, I am Wangji's brother.'

'Who is Wangji?' said A-Yuan with a pout.

'Zhan-gege is Wangji,' said Lan Xichen, with an amused smile, 'I call him Wangji.'

'But he is Lan Zhan. Xian-gege calls him Lan Zhan,' said A-Yuan, scratching his head, 'Zhan-gege, why do you have lots of names?'

'I have names to suit who I am speaking with,' said Lan Wangji, 'Can you remember your lesson on greeting someone, A-Yuan? What should you do when someone has given you their name?'

'I should tell them mine,' said A-Yuan, pointing to himself proudly before horror settled on his face and he bowed quickly to Lan Xichen, 'I am Wen Yuan.'

Lan Xichen laughed softly, bending down to lift A-Yuan from being almost bent double in his bow, 'I have heard a great deal about you, Wen Yuan, and I am very honoured to meet you,' he said, 'Thank you for letting me come to visit you.'

'Are you coming to stay too?' said A-Yuan, 'You will have to sleep on the floor. There's no more beds. Zhan-gege slept on the floor before we made him a bed.'

Lan Wangji shook his head, stilling his brother's question as he looked over to him in alarm.

'Well then,' said Lan Xichen, turning a smile back to A-Yuan, 'Perhaps for the time being I will return home.'

A-Yuan pouted for a moment before he held a finger up, 'I have an idea,' he said, 'You can have my bed. I can sleep with Zhan-gege. He gives good hugs.'

Lan Xichen laughed, 'Does he now?' he said, 'Well, perhaps another time, this time I must discuss a few things with some of the grown ups here and then return home. I thank you for your offer though, A-Yuan.'

'A-Yuan, come and help me with this,' said Wen Popo, beckoning the boy over to her.

He looked set to argue but then bowed neatly and scampered back to her side, his eyes wide as he whispered in her ear, continually stealing glances at Lan Xichen as he turned his attention back to the adults.

'A charming child.'

'A-Yuan is very well behaved and is an attentive student,' said Lan Wangji.

'He is a credit to you,' said Lan Xichen, his comments directed to Wen Qing who smiled softly.

'Thank you, Zewu-Jun,' she said, 'I accept the compliment on behalf of his parents who are not with us. They would be grateful for the help you are giving us.'

'It is the least I can do,' said Lan Xichen, 'Shall we find somewhere to talk? Things are moving slowly in Lanling but there is still news to share.'

'Follow me,' said Wen Qing, leading them all towards where they took their meals in the hope of avoiding too many prying ears before they knew what was to be shared.

The news was as Lan Wangji had expected when his brother finally shared it. There was evidence enough against Jin Guangyao, several servants submitting accounts of his secretive meetings with Su She along with others who reported a meeting with another mysterious cultivator whose name was as yet unknown, but Jin Guangshan and the sect leaders afraid to counter him were prolonging the investigation and so no conclusion had been reached. He had seen the worry on both Wen Qing and Wei Wuxian's faces when Lan Xichen had revealed that their names, far from being cleared, were being dragged further into the plot even if each was quickly proven false by questioning. He caught Wen Qing's eyes stealing towards the back of the caves, the passageways that could lead them away if escape was necessary but it would mean even more uncertainty and risk than their makeshift home in the Burial Mounds.

Wei Wuxian was silent, his knuckles white against the table as his thumb nail worried the skin at the side of his finger until it was raw and Lan Wangji had to resist every impulse to reach out and take hold of his hand in the hope of stopping him from hurting himself. Though Lan Xichen offered reassurance that the Burial Mounds were better supported than they had been previously, Nie Mingjue already having given a clear indication that nothing short of absolute proof of any wrongdoing would persuade him to mount any form of offence against them, it did little to settle him. Any reassurances Lan Xichen had offered though became void as his face grew grave, informing them all that, due to the continued accusations and fear surrounding the Burial Mounds and especially Wen Ning and Wei Wuxian, none save Lan Wangji would be permitted to leave the mountain unless summoned by the other sects.

He hated how easily Wei Wuxian deferred to the command, the passion and the fight he so often met the world with, dimmed by the news Lan Xichen had brought. He wanted to persuade him to argue, wanted to argue on his behalf but he knew it was a fruitless endeavour. Wei Wuxian and the Wens could be innocent of every charge but the names they bore and the power Wei Wuxian had chosen to wield would ever put them at odds with the world. They would not be given their freedom as long as someone with a voice louder than theirs believed them to be a threat.

The news soured the atmosphere enough that, when Wen Qing offered Lan Xichen a place at their still meagre table, he politely declined and took his leave, asking Lan Wangji alone to accompany him back to the barrier. Despite the instruction coming from his brother and sect leader, Lan Wangji still waited for Wei Wuxian's nod before he rose to join him and lead him from the cave back to where the other disciples he had brought with him waited.

As they descended back to the barrier, the disciples several paces behind, Lan Wangji remained silent until his brother chose to speak again.

'A-Yuan is a precocious child,' he said.

'He misses having companions of his own,' said Lan Wangji, 'He seeks familiarity with everyone he meets.'

'You are very fond of him,' said Lan Xichen.

'He is a sweet child,’'said Lan Wangji, 'And unjaded by his current situation or all that he has lost. He certainly helps to raise the spirits of those who live here. I hope one day his name will no longer hold him back.'

'His name is a burden he will always have to bear,' said Lan Xichen before he sighed, 'Perhaps, if decisions go against the people here, I could persuade them at least that he is a child. We could bring him to Gusu as an outer disciple, let him live a quiet life.'

Lan Wangji tightened his grip on his sword, the feel of it in his hand a little alien after not needing to carry it as often as he did in the world beyond. 'The people here are innocent. Even those who did cultivate in the past are old and ill-practised. Most of them are farmers and merchants. They seek only a quiet life.'

'You are fond of them, too.'

'They are good people,' said Lan Wangji, 'And they have been kind despite them knowing why I am here.'

'You seem happy here,' said Lan Xichen, the frown apparent in his voice even if he kept it from his face, 'It would not do to grow too comfortable.'

'I am aware that things may change quickly,' said Lan Wangji, 'But, if they remain under our protection, I would ask for leave to remain here. I want to be able to offer whatever assistance I can. Last winter they were half-starved and trapped to the mercy of the mountain for twenty days in the snow. Two people died. Many went without food so those who needed it more could eat at least once in a day. We need to do all we can to help them.'

'If you wish to assist them, then convince Wei Wuxian to relinquish his Yin Hu Fu. Once it is the custody of a sect and contained, I am sure opinion will be more favourable to him.'

'And turn against whatever sect holds it,' said Lan Wangji, 'Unless the sect uses it for their own gains as they believe Wei Ying does.'

'And does he?' said Lan Xichen.

Lan Wangji shook his head, 'He does not,' he said, 'I have seen nothing to suggest he is doing any more than pursuing an unorthodox cultivation but not one that is vindictive against the other sects. He seeks to help those who are being victimised for their name.'

'The unorthodox path is dangerous even if the intentions are good,' said Lan Xichen, 'Try to find out more about the Yin Hu Fu. If we understand it better, maybe we can allay the fears of the other sects. If he would hand it over for study I am sure some of our elders could proclaim it an unorthodox tool but one that is not inherently evil.'

Lan Wangji was silent, his mind already turning to the far darker outcome that would come if Wei Wuxian rescinded the one artefact that kept the people he protected safe even as it made them pariahs as well. If Wei Wuxian relinquished his tool, his weapon, if he was seen to be less than the feared Yiling Laozu, it would be no great thing for the sects to fall on them. Lan Wangji did not wish to see a day when the robes of the cultivation sects were stained with the blood of the Wens and Wei Wuxian.

'Wangji?'

'I will watch what happens here as I promised and I will give an account of any wrongdoing,' he said, 'As for the Yin Hu Fu, I will present the option of having someone study it to Wei Ying but I will not force the point.'

Lan Xichen frowned but nodded, 'I will send further supplies in a month, remember the terms of their protection until then,' he said, 'If any of them need to leave the mountain, they should do so with you but I would ask you send word beforehand as the other sects will not take kindly to their confinement being broken.'

'If I have time to send word ahead, I will,' said Lan Wangji.

'If things become too much here, if you witness too much or Wei Wuxian becomes dangerous...'

'Wei Ying will not hurt me,' said Lan Wangji, 'I am safe here and I will remain here until things are resolved.'

He saw the response rise and die on his brother's lips, the understanding on his face that it would take a great deal for Lan Wangji to relinquish his friend and the people he had been sent to observe and protect, twisting into something akin to fear but it was quickly masked.

The farewells that followed were brief and structured by custom, Lan Wangji watching the neat line of white clad disciples as they followed his brother away from the boundary before he sent a small flare up from where he stood, the wards rising in front of him once more as Wei Wuxian received his message.

It felt like a comfort, the world outside once more shut out as he began the climb back up to the village. Anxious eyes followed him as he passed several of the Wens, no doubt wondering and worrying just what Lan Xichen's visit had changed. He wanted to reassure them but it was not his place to speak to them of any arrangements, that privilege reserved for those of their name and the man who had saved them rather than the person who was still, in essence, their jailer.

As he reached the main living areas, he saw Wen Qing talking with some of the elders, her smile small as she met his gaze and headed over to him.

'The others are putting away the supplies,' she said, 'Your sect was very generous. We should have plenty to get us through until the next delivery.'

Lan Wangji nodded, 'If you need more, let me know,' he said, 'I can send him your requirements. We will need to discuss how we move wares and supplies to and from Yiling from now on.'

'I'm sure we will soon have arrangements in hand,' said Wen Qing, 'He is in the cave if you want to speak with him.'

He knew in the past he would have been embarrassed and shocked at such a blatant remark directed his way, especially concerning Wei Wuxian, but there was nothing but kindness in Wen Qing’s voice so instead he bowed and headed towards the small part of the settlement that had come to belong to him and Wei Wuxian alone since his arrival.

At first he thought Wen Qing had been mistaken, the candles unlit and the makeshift rooms quiet as he stepped into them but he saw the hunched silhouette sat on Wei Wuxian's bed by the thin light that came from the cave mouth, the tension increasing at the sound of his footsteps.

'Wei Ying,' he said, anticipating all too accurately the too bright smile that his friend turned to him with.

'Back so soon,' he said, 'I wondered if you would actually come back. Must have been tempting to return to some sense of normality.'

'I promised to stay here.'

'And tell the other sects what a devil I am and what a danger the people here are.'

Lan Wangji laid Bichen on the rough hewn bed he had been given before he crossed the room, walking around until he was face to face with Wei Wuxian. 'They would be very disappointed if that was the account they were expecting,' he said, 'I'm afraid my report would be far from sensational. I cannot predict that I would have anything to report however long I stayed.'

'That's not what they want to hear, Lan Zhan.'

'Then they have chosen the wrong informant,' said Lan Wangji, 'Have I ever given you reason not to trust me?'

Wei Wuxian shook his head.

'Then trust me now, as your friend, sect and family name and position put aside. Unless you truly give me cause, without emergency or need for defence or for the protection of those vulnerable, then I will not speak report or rumour to anyone that would defame you,' said Lan Wangji, 'The people here are not dangerous but in danger and, though my sincerest wish is for you to return to the orthodox path, you have not shown me any evidence of you using your cultivation to further your own gains.'

'We'd be living in far kinder surrounds if I was doing so, don't you think,' said Wei Wuxian, offering him a small but far more genuine smile.

'That I do not doubt. In the spirit of honesty, I will tell you of my conversation with my brother when you were not with us.'

Wei Wuxian held up a hand, 'Lan Zhan, I don't want you to break trust with Zewu-Jun because of me.'

'I will not. He has not sworn me to any secrecy and he knows I am not one for deceit,' said Lan Wangji, 'He has asked that I request you hand over the Yin Hu Fu for study by our elders. I told him I would pass on the request but not to expect it to be agreed to. If you would submit it, I would ask for additional protection and for them to come here so it was not removed from the Burial Mounds. If you choose not to relinquish it, so much is your right, and I will not push you, nor will it affect how I treat you or the others here. There, my part is done. The choice is in your hands and I will support any decision.'

Wei Wuxian frowned, 'I can't give it up,' he said, 'Not even to you. Sometimes I wish I could.'

Lan Wangji nodded, 'Whatever reason you have, I trust it is for the best,' he said, 'You are not ignorant of how much easier relinquishing it would make your life so I will speak no more on it. If you change your mind or if you need my help, I will be here.'

'Thank you, Lan Zhan,' he said, 'I'm sorry you are having to suffer this with us but I am not sorry you are here.'

'I am glad to be here,' he replied, 'And I will stay for as long as you need me. I should change. I said I would help cover the fields before nightfall.'

'I'd almost got used to you looking like that again,' said Wei Wuxian, 'But I will soon get used to you in simple robes again, I'm sure.'

Lan Wangji said nothing, leaving his side to head back towards his own bed, retrieving his more rugged garments from the bag he stored them in and allowing himself a small, hidden smile at how much he found himself willing to continue to grow used to the far simpler life he now led.

Chapter 9: Desperation

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Wei Wuxian shuddered as the covers around him were lifted even for the briefest moment to allow Lan Wangji to slip in beside him. Even with the blankets from both their beds piled on top of them, the wind still bit without mercy and the incessant rain and sleet left everything feeling damp. It had been four days since the rain had started and it seemed to have no desire to cease, even the days bitterly cold and chasing them to huddle around fires, their food supplies diminished near to empty as warm meals were made double to ward off sickness and the cold.

'Ah! Hanguang-Jun, hurry and tuck us in or I swear my feet will fall off,' he said, burying his nose tighter into the blankets bunched around his head, 'I swear the warming talismans are failing.'

'They are holding,' said Lan Wangji, 'You should have eaten your supper. It may be easier for you to go without food but it has been five days now. Even a cultivator needs to eat.'

Wei Wuxian pressed deeper into the covers as another blanket was laid over him, Lan Wangji a long warm line against his back. He hated the words coming from his friend's mouth, hated to think how he would view him if he knew the truth of why Wei Wuxian felt the cold far more keenly than he did. Despite the situation, he could look into Lan Wangji's eyes and see camaraderie, if he learned the truth about his core, Wei Wuxian knew he would only ever again see pity.

'A-Yuan was hungry,' he said, 'And don't think I didn't see you giving your dinner to Wen-Popo.'

'She has been ill, she needs her strength.'

The rumble of Wei Wuxian's stomach cut through even the rattle of the rain outside and he rubbed a fist against it to silence it. 'Let's stop talking about food,' he said, 'The provisions your brother is sending should be here tomorrow and, if the rain ever ends, we can always send you into Yiling for anything we need. I think Wen Qing has got quite used to you being her errand boy.'

'I am happy to oblige,' said Lan Wangji, 'At least the ingredients she needs for her medicines are easily found and her notes are always meticulous. I am glad she has been able to cure all the ailments the others have suffered recently. I hope Xiongzhang has managed to add the extra material I requested so warmer clothes can be made. The winter looks set to come in harsh.'

'If it is really bad we'll request that some of the older ones and A-Yuan be permitted to move into Yiling,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I'd want you to go with them. Keep them safe.'

'I will ensure you are kept safe as well,' said Lan Wangji, 'There should be more timber with the provisions tomorrow, Wen Ning and the others have plans for a more robust shelter and we can build rooms within the large caves that will help with keeping the drafts at bay. So long as people stay warm and fed, we will see it out.'

'I wouldn't blame you if you went back to the Cloud Recesses.'

Lan Wangji's laugh was faint and brief but Wei Wuxian smiled at the sound of it all the same, certain he would never get used to it despite having been privileged to the sound of it several times in recent weeks.

'The mountain can get just as cold.'

'Bet you don't have to climb into bed with a horrible urchin like me to keep warm there though.'

'Wei Ying is not horrible even if he does talk about chickens wearing lotus flowers in his sleep.'

'A vicious slander!' said Wei Wuxian, shifting beneath the heavy blankets until he faced his friend, barely able to make out his features in the darkness of the cave, 'I will catch you at it one day, I am sure of it. I bet you talk about rabbits in your sleep.'

'If I do it is because you kick like one,' said Lan Wangji, stifling a yawn, 'It is late. Sleep.'

Wei Wuxian burrowed a little closer to him, smiling at the strong arm that soon draped over him. It had been three nights before when Wei Wuxian had not been able to get warm despite wearing far more layers than was comfortable and covering his bed with every available blanket and spare robe he could find. He had not realised just how loud his shivers had been until another blanket had been added to the pile, Lan Wangji's white clad form moving silently as a spectre back to his own bed without a word.

The added warmth had made him sleepy but his mind wouldn't quiet as he watched his friend slip once more beneath his own thin pile of blankets. Though he knew Lan Wangji's core would keep him warm, he still did not like the idea of him so poorly covered when Wei Wuxian himself was finally feeling warm enough to sleep. He had blamed lack of sleep when he had called across to Lan Wangji and offered the place in the bed beside him so they could share the blankets.

He had thought that his offer would be refused, that Lan Wangji would insist that the cold didn't bother him but instead Wei Wuxian had watched him rise from his bed once more, collecting up the remaining blankets and adding them to Wei Wuxian's bed before climbing in beside him without a word. For the first few moments it had felt more awkward than any situation Wei Wuxian had found himself in before but Lan Wangji had been warm and calm and had fallen asleep within moments and soon Wei Wuxian found his eyes growing heavy until sleep had finally claimed him.

He could not remember when he had last slept as well as he had that night, waking when Lan Wangji had risen and smiling as the blankets had been wrapped tightly around him once more. The following night, no words had needed to be spoken, instead the pair of them had taken to Wei Wuxian's rough straw mattress and the pile of blankets, the chill warded off by each other's presence.

'Wei Ying, go to sleep.'

He smiled at Lan Wangji's soft, tired words, pressing closer to the warm body beside him. 'Too hungry to sleep.'

'The provisions will arrive tomorrow,' said Lan Wangji, 'And then no one need be hungry. Hopefully this time the rats won't get into the stores and we'll have enough to last us.'

'Should have eaten the damned rats,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I've survived on worse.'

He knew he had said the wrong thing as Lan Wangji's arm tightened a little around him, glad at least the darkness of the room hid the look he knew he would be wearing. As the weeks had gone by it had been harder and harder to hide the truth of all he and the Wens had suffered from his friend and, though his most guarded secret was still his own, he knew Lan Wangji would fight with all he had to prevent any further suffering for any of them.

'Sleep, Hanguang-Jun,' he said, 'It's late.'

'Wei Ying?'

'Sleep.'

He was not sure it was possible to hear someone's frown in their breathing but he knew the expression was firmly on Lan Wangji's face even as his arm softened a little.

'You look like your uncle when you frown, Lan Zhan, so stop it and go to sleep.'

The chuckle was faint but it soothed the itch inside Wei Wuxian that his friend would fall asleep worrying. He allowed the warmth and the comfort of a person being close to lull him, sleep still not a comfortable prospect as his stomach protested at the lack of nourishment but he he forced the sensation aside with the promise of what the delivery the next day would bring.

He woke, warm and rested, to Lan Wangji rising from the bed even in the still near darkness of the cave. The covers were tucked a little tighter around him and he smiled.

'Even the sun knows it's still night time, Lan Zhan,' he said.

'The sun is doing little to warm us right now,' said Lan Wangji, 'I will light the fires, then everyone can wake warm.'

'Hanguang-Jun is too good,' said Wei Wuxian, wanting nothing more than to bury beneath the body warm blankets but he knew sleep would elude him without the now familiar presence beside him, 'I'll help.'

'You do not need to,' said Lan Wangji, 'Stay warm there.'

'You always say I should rise earlier,' said Wei Wuxian, plucking up the courage to put aside the blankets.

'It is not prudent to start when the weather is so inclement.'

'I am contrary by nature,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Besides the bed will be cold before too long without you in it and I cannot sleep without Lan Zhan at my side any more.'

The words were unguarded, spilling from still sleepy lips and Wei Wuxian was sure he would have buried himself deeper into the covers if it was even remotely possible for him to do so.

'Dress and we will start with the fires,' said Lan Wangji, 'It would not do for you to get cold. I have placed an extra layer on the end of the bed for you.'

Wei Wuxian smiled, the gentleness of his friend's voice chasing away any embarrassment his words had brought. He indulged for a few more moments in the lingering warmth before he slipped from the bed, hurrying into outer robes and boots to ward against the chill.

Even the moon was hiding when they exited the cave, heading to light the fires where they took shelter for most of the day unless they were needed for the building or final farming tasks that demanded attention. By the time the others began to emerge though, the sky was beginning to lighten and the cave was warm even though the smell of food that usually accompanied the morning was absent.

Whatever little provisions remained were distributed to those most in need and Wei Wuxian could see the determination on Wen Qing's face that the rations they were to receive that morning would be far better managed to avoid such a scene again. It was not a fault of planning or greed that had left them without what they needed, the storehouse overrun by rats that had sought food and shelter from the growing chill and finding themselves both in two of the larger sacks of provisions. The new shelving they had installed would hopefully mean they would no longer find themselves with unexpected mouths to feed but that promise didn't make waiting for the provisions to arrive any easier.

A-Yuan, at least, was a distraction for them all, better fed due to his young age and full of a vitality that was not easily tempered by hunger or cold. With the day bitterly cold and wet outside, he was moved from person to person in an attempt to entertain him but his preference always came back to Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian, demanding stories, games, and lessons however the mood took him.

Wei Wuxian was always amazed by the infinite patience Lan Wangji had with the child, A-Yuan able to coax smiles from him where others would struggle for even the slightest turn of his lips. He knew heartbreak would follow the attachment one day, Lan Wangji bound to return to the Cloud Recesses whilst Wen Yuan would be left wherever it was safe for him to be left, if anywhere ever became safe for those bearing his name at all. He did not let his thoughts linger on such things though, content instead to watch with a growing warmth in his chest that had nothing to do with the fire as A-Yuan placed himself firmly in Lan Wangji's lap and traced the words on the page before him with a chubby finger as he was read to.

The alert from the barrier that someone was approaching was almost unwelcome, breaking through the quiet contentment that seemed to have managed to settle over them despite the occasional rumble of an empty stomach echoing through the cave. A-Yuan grudgingly went to his grandmother as Lan Wangji got to his feet along with Wen Ning and several others who had volunteered to drag the supplies up to the stores from the barrier.

Wei Wuxian was glad Wen Qing had volunteered him for the job of unloading things into the stores, the effort needed there less likely to arouse suspicion about his lacking strength. He had had several whispered arguments with her about the safety of revealing the truth about his golden core to Lan Wangji, Wen Qing certain the newest of their number could be trusted with the truth. Wei Wuxian did not argue that point with her but he was unable to put into words why he was so desperate to keep the secret from his friend. He knew he could not bear to see pity in Lan Wangji's brilliant eyes, did not want to see the respect they shared as peers turn sour as Lan Wangji realised he had yet another soul to protect rather than someone he was sharing the burden with.

He shook off the thoughts as he headed to the stores, making a sweep of the near empty shelves to make sure there was no sign of any new residents as they waited for the supplies to be brought up the mountain. He had thought he would be hopping from foot to foot in the effort to stave off the cold, certain the heavy burden of supplies that was meant to last them the winter would take some time to be drawn up so he was surprised therefore to hear voices and footsteps not long after they had headed down to the barrier. What surprised him more though was the thunder on Lan Wangji's face as he entered the store room, the anger almost radiating from him as he met Wei Wuxian's gaze.

'You need to come outside,' he said, turning on his heel before Wei Wuxian could even question him and heading back out into the drizzle.

Wei Wuxian followed, Wen Qing soon at his back as they emerged from the stores to see only a single small wagon with barely enough provisions to feed one person through the winter months.

'Where's the rest of it?' said Wei Wuxian, seeing the downcast faces of those who had gone to fetch it, 'Was there an accident on the way up the hill?'

'This was all that was sent, Wei-Gongzi,' said Wen Ning, 'There was nothing else.'

'I don't understand. Zewu-Jun…'

'Requested more than enough provisions to be sent,' said Lan Wangji, 'The merchant informed me that agents acting for Jin Guangshan came to Yiling yesterday to inspect what was to be sent and to ensure the will of the sects was being adhered to. They stripped away all but what you see here.'

'But there is barely enough for one person,' said Wen Qing, 'How can they expect so little to...oh.'

'Oh what?' said Wei Wuxian, 'What is happening?'

'The will of the sects was that provisions be provided for every person living here,' said Lan Wangji, his voice sharp as the blade in his hand, 'They have sent provisions for one, specifically provisions based upon the diet favoured by the Lan Sect.'

Wei Wuxian felt his stomach twist with something other than hunger. 'Which means…'

'They only recognise me as a person,' said Lan Wangji, finishing the thought for him, 'At least, that is what Jin Guangshan believes. I can assure you Zewu-Jun…'

'Hanguang-Jun,' said Wen Qing gently, 'There is no doubt that Zewu-Jun intended to provide for us all, the fact that much was stripped away shows that. We'll just have to find a way to manage.'

Lan Wangji shook his head. 'You will not need to manage,' he said, 'I will send word when I am back at the barrier with what has been promised.'

Wei Wuxian hurried after him as he headed back towards the tree line and the barrier beyond, grabbing hold of his arm to pull him to a halt. 'Lan Zhan, if Jin Guangshan has told them not to send us anything, what do you think you can do?' he said, 'The merchants won't want to offend him.'

'Then if I cannot appeal to reason then I will purchase what is needed,' said Lan Wangji, 'I would assume a Lan purse is as good as any.'

'Did you truly come here with enough money to provide provisions for all of us for an entire month and then some?'

Lan Wangji shook his head, taking hold of the jade pendant that hung at his waist, 'But this stands in place of any physical money. My brother will make good on the pledge as soon as I write to him with what has happened.'

'Lan Zhan, don't make yourself an enemy where you don’t need to,' said Wei Wuxian.

'Even if you were guilty and imprisoned, you would be fed, you would be warm. It is a basic right,' said Lan Wangji, 'I will not stand aside and watch people suffer for this. It is not up to any other sect who we do and do not feed and protect. Jin Guangshan has insulted me and insulted my sect.'

'I have never seen you this angry,' said Wei Wuxian, taking hold of his hand, 'Lan Zhan, you have every right to be angry but tread carefully down there, you've seen how...the last thing I want in this world is for your good name to be tarnished.'

Lan Wangji sighed, 'What is a name if I do nothing to live up to it?' he said, 'I will not let innocent people starve. Raise the barriers high when I leave and ready any weapons you may have in case this is an attempt to lure me away. Do you have one of the warning talismans you could give me so you can call me back if you need me?'

Wei Wuxian reached into his robes, pulling out one of the talismans and handing it over to him. 'Be careful,' he said, 'You're worth more than any provisions. Don't take any risks. I don't trust them.'

'I will be careful,' said Lan Wangji squeezing his hand before he headed further on to the boundary.

It was all Wei Wuxian could do not to go with him, raising the barriers high once he had left and giving instructions to Wen Qing to ensure everyone was on alert for anything strange. He paced in front of the barrier's edge, Chenqing twirling idly through his fingers even as every sense he possessed reached out for any sign of something untoward. The dizi was halfway to his lips before he realised the footsteps he heard belonged to his friend, his face even more thunderous when he came into view than it had been when he left.

He lowered the barrier with a wave, raising it quickly as Lan Wangji passed through without with word and carried on up the mountain at a pace Wei Wuxian nearly had to jog to keep up with.

'What happened?'

Lan Wangji came to a halt, shoulders slumping as he dropped his gaze to his boots. 'The merchants are terrified and they would not budge and they have been told not to accept my token as a promise of payment,' he said, 'I have no doubt they will be visited by Jin soldiers if they so much as attempt to assist us.'

'We'll think of something,' he said, 'Write to Zewu-Jun, I'm sure this can be sorted in a few days.'

'But if it can't and the weather sets in too harshly people will die,' said Lan Wangji, 'Is there another way off the mountain that means I do not have to go through Yiling? I would need to be on foot.'

'There is a path, down the far side,' said Wei Wuxian, 'It is a difficult path but passable.'

'With a wagon?'

'If you have the strength to pull it, a pony would lame itself in moments,' said Wei Wuxian, 'There are places where the Burial Mounds certainly live up to their name further down. It won't be pleasant.'

'I will manage,' said Lan Wangji, 'I will need to take Wen Ning with me, I will need his strength. We will move in secrecy for I fear if we announce it then word will be spread.'

'If he is willing to go, I won't say no,' said Wei Wuxian, 'But what do you intend to do?'

'Find another trading post,' said Lan Wangji, 'Get what we need from there. I have things to trade if they won't accept my token. Hopefully Jin Guangshan won't have turned everyone against us. I will write to my brother and to Jiang-Zongzhu, he may be in a position to assist us faster if he is at liberty to do so, Lotus Pier is closer. I will despatch the letters when we have left. Hopefully, Wen Ning is willing to accompany me but I will manage alone if he would prefer to stay and care for the others.'

Wei Wuxian frowned, 'I don't know that Jiang Cheng would...his position in the world is precarious and he will have to be wary.'

'I can refrain from writing from him if you think it is best, you know him better than I do,' said Lan Wangji, 'But he would be better positioned to send us aid swiftly.'

'Write to him,' said Wei Wuxian, 'But direct your letter to a fisherman in Yunmeng, it is a way to pass messages undetected that Jiang Fengmian taught us. The fisherman can be trusted. I will give you his name and the direction. He will know what to do.'

Lan Wangji nodded. 'I will follow your lead on that,' he said, 'I will prepare the letters and send them when I am away from here, hopefully then they will not be intercepted.'

'Are you sure going at all is wise?' said Wei Wuxian, 'If they are willing to starve us, what else will they be willing to do? Wouldn't it be better to wait for Zewu-Jun?'

'In an ideal world, yes, but people are already hungry and I can't risk further restrictions reaching us,' said Lan Wangji, 'If Jin Guangshan is so willing to insult us already, he will not think twice to do so again. I will not sit back while people die for politics.'

Wei Wuxian smiled sadly, 'Hanguang-Jun,' he said, pride in his voice, 'Just when I think I know you, you surprise me. It's been a lonely road trying to save everyone here, it's nice to finally have a companion.'

'I promise that you will not face this alone from now on.'

'Lan Zhan,' said Wei Wuxian, unsure what words wanted to follow but the man before him seemed to understand all the same.

'I need to gather up what I can trade,' said Lan Wangji, 'I have some silver ornaments, silks, a few books that can be parted with.'

'You shouldn't part with anything,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I have some things hidden away.'

Lan Wangji shook his head, 'Mine are not sentimental and can be easily replaced,' he said, 'And I will take nothing from the Wens either. What few treasures they possess should remain theirs.'

'I can say nothing to convince you otherwise, can I?' said Wei Wuxian, 'Just promise me you will take care.'

'I will,' said Lan Wangji, 'As a precaution though, if we do not return in five days or you feel the village is threatened, there is a letter in the box beneath my bed addressed to my brother that you should send. He will understand the contents and send aid.'

Wei Wuxian nodded, hating that such a preparation had been made but knowing it was necessary. He didn't think of the preparations he had made, the letters and tokens he had designed to send out into the world as as last resort to save them all. Lan Wangji at least had the knowledge that his plea would be answered whilst Wei Wuxian only had hope.

It did not take long for the cart to be brought out and prepared as Lan Wangji hastily penned his letters, Wen Qing offering her own protest at the plan but agreeing that it was unfortunately necessary. It was A-Yuan whose protest would not be silenced, wrapping himself around Lan Wangji's leg and screaming until his face was pink and his little body trembled before Lan Wangji had scooped him up and rocked him, speaking promises of a swift return into his hair.

'I will be back,' he said quietly, 'Until then, you must help take care of everyone for me.'

'My lessons,' said A-Yuan, his words thick with the remnants of his tears, 'Our book.'

'I am sure Xian-gege would love for you to read to him.'

A-Yuan's wide, liquid eyes turned to Wei Wuxian and he smiled as he stepped towards them both, taking hold of the child's hand as he reached out to him. 'Of course you can read to me,' he said, 'You can practice with me and impress Lan Zhan when he comes back to us.'

'I'll need to snuggle with Xian-gege too,' said A-Yuan, 'Keep him warm at night like Zhan-gege does otherwise he won't sleep. Popo says Xian-gege looks like he sleeps better now.'

Wei Wuxian felt his cheeks pink, focusing on that rather than the sudden strange hollowness in his gut at the thought of sleeping alone in the cold and damp of the cave.

'I know you will take care of everyone,' said Lan Wangji, 'I must go.'

'Come here, A-Yuan,' said Wei Wuxian, coaxing him gently into his arms and settling him on his hip, 'We'll go as far as the barrier and see them off.'

The little body in his arms tensed and trembled the closer they got to the barrier on the far side of the settlement, Lan Wangji and Wen Ning ahead of them as they dragged the heavy cart behind them, leaving with the hope that it would be heavier on their return. Wen Qing stood beside them, her hand rubbing softly against A-Yuan's back as goodbyes were said as quickly as possible, no one wanting to linger when the danger they were stepping into was all too apparent. Wei Wuxian kept his thoughts away from the letter stored in Lan Wangji's possessions in the cave, not wanting to think of a day when he would have to send it as he watched two of his dearest friends disappear into the drizzle and the mist of the mountain.

'They'll be home soon,' said Wen Qing as A-Yuan sobbed, quietly against Wei Wuxian's neck, 'They'll be home soon.'

The worry in her eyes mimicked Wei Wuxian's, certain they would both know sleepless nights until Lan Wangji and Wen Ning returned to the mountain.

'Come on,' she said, 'No point getting cold and we can at least eat today. There are others who need our attention.'

As always, her practicality was a steadying force in an otherwise spinning world, refocusing Wei Wuxian away from the what ifs that plagued his thoughts and pulling him back to the souls who needed him most.

With one last glance down the path his friends had taken, he turned himself back towards the village, certain his feet would take him back to the barrier several times before he went to his cold and empty bed that night.

Chapter 10: Protection

Notes:

Hi guys. With Xmas coming up, I'm going to take a week or so off posting to enjoy some family time so next instalment will be end of December or early Jan. Happy Holidays xx

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

'Lan Er-Gongzi, you will need to go ahead and ask others to come back,' said Wen Ning, the wheel in his hands shattered beyond repair, 'We can't get any further like this.'

Lan Wangji knew his words were true, the load on the cart too heavy for them to even try to manoeuvre on one wheel on such rocky terrain, the ground already perilously slick with the rain that had been their constant companion for four days. He frowned at the thought of leaving his companion though, the mountain path quiet but not quite part of the feared Burial Mounds and exposed to any who would pass leaving Wen Ning vulnerable if he was left alone. He thought of suggesting that they make the journey together carrying what they could but it would mean leaving much of the provisions they had bought behind and vulnerable to theft, the trials of finding someone who would willingly trade with them and allow them to purchase what they needed meaning the thought of losing anything was an abhorrent one.

'We should try to get it off the road,' he said, 'And you some shelter.'

Wen Ning smiled shyly, the young man having lost a little of his apparent fear of him but not the inherent shyness that Lan Wangji understood all too well. 'I will be alright,' he said, 'The rain and the cold don't do me much harm.'

'You should not be uncomfortable,' said Lan Wangji, 'And it would make you less conspicuous to any passers-by.'

The weight of the cart fought them as they moved it slowly into the rocky overhang, several straggly, bare trees at least giving them something to string a spare oilskin on to provide a little shelter and make it more convincing that Wen Ning was only a traveller awaiting repairs or resting on the roadside.

'Do you have a talisman to send for help if you need it?' said Lan Wangji, 'After the altercation in the town, I do not want to leave you without a means to call for help.'

'I have one that will call for Wei-Gongzi,' said Wen Ning, 'And do not worry about what happened. I do not think they knew who we were, they just saw poor clothes but with a finer purse.'

'Even so,' said Lan Wangji, 'I do not want the Jin to be able to put you at risk or implicate you in anything. We should return to the camp together.'

Wen Ning shook his head, 'Hanguang-Jun, you spent a great deal to secure this,' he said, 'And, if other routes have been compromised, this might be the only food we can get to the others. The chance of my safety being compromised is not as important as their chance to be fed.'

'I do not want for anyone's safety to be compromised,' said Lan Wangji.

Wen Ning smiled sadly, 'We are not in the position to have a choice.'

Though Lan Wangji wanted to argue, he knew Wen Ning was right and it was with reluctance that he unsheathed Bichen, flying in the freezing rain an unappealing thought but quicker than two feet on the mountain path. He alighted just before the barrier, his robes sodden to the skin and even the usual warmth of his core struggling to keep the chill at bay. He pressed a hand to the invisible barrier, the soft thrum of it warming and familiar, so much of Wei Wuxian woven into it that it felt almost like a welcome.

It was not long before he saw the familiar flare of dark robes and a red ribbon beneath a bamboo hat, already soaked with rain, and he shook away the memory of a time when Wei Wuxian had been running from him not to him in a storm.

'Lan Zhan!' he called with a wave, skidding to a halt before his face paled, 'Where is Wen Ning?'

'Further below,' said Lan Wangji, 'The cart hit a rock and the wheel is beyond repair, we cannot get it up the mountain. We need strong arms and strong backs to bring up the provisions, the pony would not manage the terrain.'

Wei Wuxian nodded, 'You come and get dry, I'll get some people who can help.'

'I will help,' said Lan Wangji, 'I should return to Wen Ning. The road is still accessible by others and we have already had trouble. We are both unharmed but I don't want to leave him alone too long. Follow the path down and you will find us near the overhang.'

'Alright,' said Wei Wuxian, worry in his eyes even as his lips set into a determined line, 'We'll be as quick as we can.'

Lan Wangji turned to go but the hand that caught his gave him pause, shock freezing him as Wei Wuxian pulled him into a brief, unexpected hug. He had not even the chance to return it, however much he found himself wanting to, before Wei Wuxian stepped back with a small smile on his lips.

'I'm glad you're back,' he said before his grin grew teasing, 'We were starting to think which one of us we were going to eat first and A-Yuan was looking the chubbiest.'

'If anyone had even nibbled a fingernail off that boy, they would have answered to me,' said Lan Wangji, heart warming despite the chill at Wei Wuxian's bright smile.

'That's what Wen-Popo said.'

'A wise woman,' said Lan Wangji, 'Take care on the paths on the way down, they are treacherous in places.'

'We will be,' said Wei Wuxian.

It was an agony to leave his side, their reunion too brief even though it had only been a few days of parting, far longer having passed between their meetings at other times but then, though Wei Wuxian had often crossed his mind, it had not been with the ache of longing for his company that had accompanied Lan Wangji on his mission. Before he could speak and say something he was likely to regret, he turned and leapt back on to Bichen, looking down to see Wei Wuxian watching him, a hand sheltering his face from the rain.

He found Wen Ning sat quietly beneath the makeshift shelter, a small smile of relief on his face as Lan Wangji stepped into view.

'Wei Ying will bring others down to help,' he said, 'We should prepare for when they arrive.'

Wen Ning nodded, pulling back the oilskin to reveal the provisions beneath. By the time they had repacked everything into suitable bundles for people to carry, the sound of voice was carrying from the path ahead, Wei Wuxian and several of the villagers appearing soon after, a small barrow at least giving them something to transport the heavier items in. It did not take long to arrange themselves into an organised work group, passing out the packages until all but a few items remained.

It was when Wei Wuxian moved one of the larger sacks to load it into the barrow that Lan Wangji had to hastily cover the swords that had come loose from their wrappings underneath, bundling them tighter so they looked little more than rolls of material for clothes and bedding.

'Lan Zhan,' hissed Wei Wuxian, his tone hushed with concern.

'Later,' he answered, the narrowing of his friend's eyes letting him know that the later would occur the moment they had even a hint of privacy, 'How has it been in the village?'

Wei Wuxian hefted a bundle onto his back with a frowned as Lan Wangji made sure to carry the burden he had just wrapped.

'Quiet, anxious,' he said, 'But better than expected. I know at least one letter got through. The feared Yiling Laozu received tribute yesterday from some humble farmers who wished for me not to blight their land for the spring. The lotus seeds amongst the packages were a nice touch. It meant a lot, even if a lot could not be sent. I'm sure they had to take care up the mountain and could not bear much in case they were ambushed.'

Lan Wangji felt some of the tension drain from him. Glad at least that word had reached Jiang Cheng and he had been able to act if only in a small amount and secretly. He could hear the relief in Wei Wuxian's voice though, the act enough to convince him that he did at least have some allies beyond their barriers.

'I am sure the feared Yiling Laozu will be sure to treat those who offer such generous tribute fairly,' he said, seeing the smile on Wei Wuxian's lips.

'He will indeed,' said Wei Wuxian, shifting the sack on his back a little more and focussing on the path before them as they continued up the mountain.

Lan Wangji knew there would be far more serious conversations to be had, Wei Wuxian stealing glances at him and Wen Ning, the latter carrying far more than anyone else with little complaint as they climbed. He remained quiet though, wise enough to know that it was a conversation better saved for when they were within the safety of the barrier.

The journey was long, the rain and the wind combining with their burdens to work against them and leaving them all soaked by the time they reached the barrier. The provisions luckily remained dry, wrapped in oilskins or layers of sacking to protect them, as they were hurried to the storehouse and put away under Wen Qing’s guidance. As the last of the packages were taken inside, Lan Wangji beckoned Wei Wuxian to follow, the wrapped swords still strapped to his back as he led them to their room.

'Swords, Lan Zhan?' said Wei Wuxian as they stepped into the room, 'If anyone knew you had brought swords in here…'

'No one knows other than Wen Ning,' said Lan Wangji, 'The owner has been compensated.'

'And if he talks?' said Wei Wuxian, 'I hardly think the Jins or anyone else for that matter are going to look kindly on Hanguang-Jun bringing swords into the Burial Mounds. What were you thinking?'

'That we were threatened twice on the road,' said Lan Wangji, 'That some hired thugs learned the hard way what it is to face us but that doesn't mean more won't come. This village needs to be defended, we have to defend it. The owner won't have anything to tell.'

Wei Wuxian frowned before his eyes widened, 'Lan Zhan did you steal swords?'

'They are not spiritual weapons,' said Lan Wangji, 'And I left compensation, more than their value.'

Wei Wuxian shook his head, 'Zewu-Jun is going to eviscerate me and use my guts to string his lanterns,' he said, 'Lan Wangji a thief. Why didn't Wen Ning stop you?'

Lan Wangji set the swords down on what had been his bed, 'He agreed with me,' he said, 'Wei Ying, I am serious about us needing to mount a defence, even with the barriers we are vulnerable. I know I can rely on my brother but there is too far a distance between us for him to aide us when we need it. I can't sit back and do nothing when the people we care about need protection.'

'Lan Zhan, you need to stop surprising me,' said Wei Wuxian before he shivered, 'We need to talk more about this, make plans. If you really think we're at risk then we need to plan our defence, use the terrain to our advantage. First though, let's get dry, you look like you've gone swimming in those robes.'

They stored the swords in one of the many crevices of the cave, carefully wrapped and covered with several talismans to better mask them from prying eyes, before changing into dry robes. Despite the warm clothes and a seat beside the fire when they headed to their supper, the chill still refused to leave Lan Wangji's bones but he pushed the discomfort as he talked with Wen Ning, Wen Qing and Wei Wuxian of how best to defend the Burial Mounds from any attack.

'I can design a talisman that will alert us even before anyone reaches the barrier,' said Wei Wuxian, 'It will be annoying, we'll pick up every hunter and merchant passing by, but we'll at least be able to send a scout to check it out rather than waiting for someone to breach the barrier.'

'I am happy to hold it,' said Wen Ning, 'I don't need sleep.'

'But you do need to rest,' said Wen Qing, 'We all do. We can draw up a schedule, work in pairs, someone to hold the talisman and someone to help check the barriers if it is activated.'

'Those who check the barrier should be able to fight,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Just in case. Lan Zhan will make a decision on who is best placed to assist when he begins the training. How long do you think you will need to make the assessment? Lan Zhan?'

He heard the words, knew an answer was expected but his mouth did not wish to cooperate, his head feeling to heavy as he let it fall into his hand.

'Did someone give him liquor?' said Wei Wuxian, shaking his shoulder, 'Lan Zhan?'

A small, cool hand came to rest against his brow, unfamiliar but he did not have the strength to flinch back from it.

'He has a fever,' said Wen Qing, 'You men and your stubbornness, three days and nights in the rain is no good regardless of how strong a core you have. Get him to his bed and I'll see what I can do.'

Lan Wangji wanted to protest, to argue that he was far hardier than a few days in the rain but Wei Wuxian's familiar hands were blissfully cool even through his clothes as they helped him to his feet, keeping him as upright as possible as several worried glances turned their way.

'You're easier to move when you're drunk,' said Wei Wuxian, 'How long have you been feeling ill?'

'How long have we been talking?' said Lan Wangji, hating how thick his voice sounded, 'I just need to rest for an hour or two.'

'A day or two,' said Wen Qing, 'And that's just by looking at you.'

He didn't protest, certain his bones were shivering if it was possible for them to do so, as Wei Wuxian guided him back to the room they shared. The bed that usually felt hard and unappealing, even if the company he kept in it improved it a little, felt suddenly more welcome than it ever had, the pillow for once soft beneath his head as Wei Wuxian laid him down on it. He resisted the urge to shy away as Wen Qing examined him, focusing instead on where Wei Wuxian perched next to his head, his hand solid and comforting on his shoulder.

'A lesser man would have been off his feet hours ago,' said Wen Qing, tucking a blanket over him, 'But you're as strong as you are stubborn. A day or two's rest and your core will have you recovered. I will put together something that will at least ease the discomfort. You'll remain in bed other than for anything necessary, Wei Wuxian can keep an eye on you. Know this though, whoever you are, no one outranks a doctor in cases of health and if you decide to not to comply with my instructions, I have several needles to introduce you to.'

He heard Wei Wuxian's chuckle and the steel in Wen Qing's voice, nodding briefly as Wen Qing left his side with a promise to return with something to ease his fever.

'You'd better do as she says,' said Wei Wuxian, 'She's not joking about the needles.'

'I will be fine in the morning,' said Lan Wangji, 'I just got too cold out there.'

'Well then,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Keep warm and rest. You did so much for us, let me take care of you for a while.'

'Will you stay?' said Lan Wangji, reaching up a hand to cover the one on his shoulder.

'Not going anywhere,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Go to sleep.'

'I'm not tired.'

'Yes you are,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Go to sleep.'

He was sure he was imagining the fingers in his hair, the soft touch that was making it all the harder to keep his eyes open, but he welcomed it all the same and allowed it to soothe away the ache in his head as he closed his eyes against the thin candlelight.

It was dark when he next woke, his head heavy and his body aching but the shivers had subsided, certain it was partly due to the warm bodies pressed both to his back and his front, a heavy arm around his middle connecting all three of them.

'Zhan-gege,' came the small voice in front of him, 'Popo said you got too cold so I came to keep you warm.'

'He wouldn't leave no matter what I tried,' said Wei Wuxian's sleepy voice against his shoulder, 'So we decided it was best just to crowd you and keep you warm.'

'Mn,' murmured Lan Wangji, shifting to better wrap an arm around A-Yuan, the little boy soon burying himself in the folds of his robes, cold nose pressing to the base of his neck but he paid it no mind, 'Warm.'

'You're sweet when you're sick, Hanguang-Jun,' said Wei Wuxian, 'We'll see you in the morning.'

As Lan Wangji let himself drift once more his mind thought of the soft bed and warm fires in his rooms in the Cloud Recesses but they no longer felt like the pull of home, certain he would never again be content within the walls if it meant an absence from those who surrounded him. Home had become two orphans, as he was, bound by the most extreme of circumstances and held in a place any civilised person would call dire but the cold and the damp did nothing to chase away a warmth far greater than anything a fire could give.

****

It was six days after Lan Wangji and Wen Ning had returned to the Burial Mounds that the alert talismans Wei Wuxian had set beyond the barrier first sounded. It had been Wen Ning and Wei Wuxian who had been on the watch when it sounded, both of them hastening towards it but it had been Wen Ning who had returned to share the news.

The sword forms lesson that Lan Wangji had been teaching was called to a halt, the blades collected up and hastily stored before he tried to put the workaday robes he wore into some semblance of order, certain those Wei Wuxian was bringing to the camp had never seen him in anything so simplistic but unashamed of it all the same. Wen Qing was soon at his side, her own clothes not designed for the receiving of guests but their unannounced arrival did not allow for any preparations to be made and so it was still bearing hems stained in mud and hair not quite so well groomed that they both welcomed the two sect leaders and their disciples who Wei Wuxian brought to them.

'Wangji!' cried Nie Mingjue as they all rose from their bows, 'I barely recognised you. Xichen, you let him loose for a few weeks and he becomes a farmer. I don't think I've ever seen him in anything other than white.'

Lan Xichen smiled, 'It is a change but I imagine the clothes are better suited to the terrain.'

'There is a lot of work to be done,’ said Lan Wangji, 'These clothes are better suited.'

'Work indeed,' said Nie Mingjue, 'I did not imagine…'

'Did you expect a palace, Chifeng-Zun?' said Wei Wuxian, 'I imagine the rumours have us living quite above our means here. As you can see, reality differs.'

Nie Mingjue inclined his head, 'I meant no offence Wei-Zongzhu,' he said, 'I have not come here with the view of antagonising anyone. I have come to offer help. When I was told of what happened with the provisions, I could not sit by.'

'Shall we continue inside,' said Wen Qing, 'We have a good fire today.'

'Thank you, Wen-Guniang,' said Lan Xichen, 'If someone could show the others where the wood and additional provisions can be stored. I have brought what I can to cover the deficit.'

'Wen Ning will guide them,' she said, leading them inside.

Lan Wangji saw the looks pass between his brother and Nie Mingjue, the latter looking both horrified and intrigued by the space he found himself in. He caught too his occasional glance into dark corners, certain he was expecting to see ghosts and monsters of every kind circling the living with vile intent rather than farmers, old men and women sheltering from the winter's chill. It was a face Lan Wangji was sure he had worn when he had first visited the Burial Mounds, shocked to find only people trying to scrape a living from barren earth who posed neither threat nor danger to anyone. He could only hope that their guests saw what he had seen, people to protect rather than vilify for their name.

'I made my way here as soon as I received Wangji's letter,' said Lan Xichen as they were finally sat down in the warmth of the firelight, 'Nie-Zongzhu was in the Cloud Recesses at the time so I shared the news with him and he agreed to help bring what had been denied you. We will move on to Lanling soon and speak with Jin-Xiandu to find out just what happened. Wei-Zongzhu, it will be a matter to be discussed with all sect leaders so I will need to inform Jiang-Zongzhu. I wanted you to be aware in case you wanted to write and inform him before we did. Your situation already puts him in a difficult position and it would not do to have any unnecessary outbursts. The situation we are in is a delicate one.'

'Delicate?' said Wei Wuxian, saying nothing of the letter that had already been sent and answered, 'As far as I can see it, Jin Guangshan deliberately ordered the provisions to be denied us and even went as low as to state that only one person was resident on the mountain, an implication therefore that the rest of us are mere beasts. I do not call it delicate, I call it attempted murder when we are confined here and unable to provide for ourselves.'

'Wei Ying,' said Lan Wangji gently, knowing the passionate words simmered equally in his own heart but understanding the precarious position they were all in as all the sects tried to recover from the war, 'Allow things to proceed as they must. I am sure the correct decision will be reached.'

Wei Wuxian huffed out a breath but his shoulders lost some of their tension, as Wen Qing nodded in agreement with Lan Wangji.

'Apologies, Zewu-Jun,' he said, 'But as you address me as a sect leader, you will understand that I have only their best interests at heart. I have people to protect and mouths to feed and, when someone seeks to make that impossible, I will do and say what is necessary to put it right.'

Lan Xichen smiled gently, 'Then learn as well, Wei-Zongzhu, that diving in with accusation and impatience will not allow much to move forward.'

'I can appreciate passion for the people we protect,' said Nie Mingjue, 'And, whilst I hope a misunderstanding is all that occurred, I can see the offence that was given and we are here to assure you that such a thing will not occur again. Whenever deliveries are due, our own people will ensure their safe passage here.'

'I wonder then if Yiling will not next know a famine,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Let us hope Jin-Xiandu sees fit to remember that we are confined here for a crime we had no part of.'

Nie Mingjue sighed, 'Whilst I am certain you and Wen-Gongzi had no part in the plan to harm Jin Zixuan and Jin Zixun, the fact remains that the people you protect…'

'Were wrongfully imprisoned and tortured,' said Wei Wuxian.

'I do not condone the way the Jin Sect behaved after the war but those who stood against the sects should have to answer,' said Nie Mingjue, 'Can you assure me that all who live here did not raise a sword against us?'

'We cannot,' said Wen Qing, 'But you must understand, Nie-Zongzhu, that to stand against Wen Ruohan and his command was certain death. Those who went into battle did so unwillingly and those who did survive are those who were too old to be at the front of the assault or were injured in the fighting to the point they can only just manage a spade, let alone a sword. The majority here though are farmers and merchants. If you can find amongst any of them someone who would be a threat to you, you have a better eye than any of us. It is not my family but our name that you fear.'

'I can assure you both,' said Lan Wangji as he saw the pinch in his brother's lips and the darkening of Nie Mingjue's brow, 'That I have seen no evidence of enmity nor the desire for revenge from anyone here. Our sect too felt the pain of Wen Ruohan's actions but these people were not a part of that or, even if they were, do we not want to begin with compassion rather than revenge?'

'I appreciate your sentiment, Wangji, but hearts are not so easily changed,' said Lan Xichen, 'And there remains the fact that the unorthodoxy of Wei Wuxian's practices and the weapon he possesses is a direct risk to the world we are trying to rebuild.'

Wei Wuxian laughed, the sound bitter when Lan Wangji had grown used to a far sunnier sound in their time together. 'It's funny,' he said, 'How I am Wei-Zongzhu until you seek to accuse me. How am I expected to fare with my enemies when my supposed allies speak to me as though I’m dangerous?'

'Wei-Zongzhu, I left you in little doubt of my feelings regarding your actions, your weapon, and your cultivation when we first embarked on this endeavour,' said Lan Xichen, 'Those feelings remain unchanged. Whilst I am satisfied with Wangji's report of the conduct of those here, the fact remains that the world will always see you and the Yin Hu Fu as a threat.'

'I have never used it against anyone other than the person you called your enemy,' said Wei Wuxian, 'And I do not recall anyone complaining about the result.'

'What is done in war is different to how we should act in peace,' said Nie Mingjue, 'And your secrecy and unwillingness to allow the Yin Hu Fu to be examined is only exacerbating the situation. It is an unorthodox tool and unorthodox cultivation, therefore it may be seen as untrustworthy.'

Wei Wuxian leaned back a little from the table, pulling Chenqing from his belt and twirling it around his fingers. Lan Wangji wanted to reach out and snatch it from his hand, if only to save him from his own hubris, but he knew as well that the show of any infighting between them would only lead to more questions and not the answer to the conundrum they were in.

'Everyone thinks I didn't pay much attention to the lectures in the Cloud Recesses,' said Wei Wuxian, 'But I need not remind you, Nie-Zongzhu, that your own sect's cultivation was once considered unorthodox. Why then can mine not one day find the same respect and standing as yours does?'

'Because, Wei-Zongzhu, we do not pluck the dead from the ground, nor do we possesses the consciousness of others to turn them into a weapon,' said Nie Mingjue, 'And I would think carefully on your attitude. You refuse to allow your device to be examined or even provide details of its creation. You are secretive, rude and obtuse even when in front of those willing to help you and you have little regard for the very serious threat you pose to the cultivation world.'

'You will find that the cultivation world poses a bigger threat to us and if the Yin Hu Fu keeps us safe, why should I share it?' said Wei Wuxian, 'Do you think I can trust any of you to not use it as a weapon? Jin-Xiandu preached a new world order at the death of Wen Ruohan and then turned his prisoners into targets for sport. Whoever I entrust with this would claim they would only keep it for the good but, when something does not go their way, how easy it would be to reach for and Wen Ruohan reached for the Yin Iron.'

'Watch your words, Wei Wuxian, you are not exonerated yet nor are you likely to be if you continue on this path,' snapped Nie Mingjue, 'Your arrogance and your lack of discipline will lead to far more heartache than if you simply comply with the very reasonable request to allow the Yin Hu Fu to be studied and contained. If you have no trust in us…'

'You show no trust in me,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Why should I comply?'

'You are nothing but a boy, what can you possibly understand about the very nature of…'

'Don't shout at Xian-gege!'

The high, panicked voice preceded A-Yuan by moments, flinging himself onto Wei Wuxian's lap before glaring daggers across the table at Nie Mingjue.

'Bad man, don't shout at Xian-gege,' he said again, 'If you shout at Xian-gege, Zhan-gege will get angry and he will send you away.'

'Wei-Gongzi, I am sorry. He heard loud voices and ran away from me.'

'Popo!' said A-Yuan, 'They were being mean. Tell them not to be mean.'

'A-Yuan, come away with me now.'

'No! Shan’t!' said the boy, clinging tightly around Wei Wuxian's neck, 'Not until they stop shouting at Xian-gege.'

Lan Wangji rested a hand on A-Yuan's back, 'It is alright, A-Yuan,' he said, 'You can go with Popo. I will make sure no one shouts any more. Sometimes grown ups allow their tempers to get the better of them.'

He saw Wei Wuxian's cheeks pink in a mixture of both embarrassment and annoyance though a small smile teased at the corners of his lips.

'Promise no more shouting?' said A-Yuan, 'I don't like shouting. It makes me sad.'

'It makes me sad too,' said Lan Wangji, 'Go with Popo, after we have finished talking, I will let you try the qin again. You can play the tune we learned.'

A-Yuan gave him a considering look before he turned back to Wei Wuxian, cupping his cheek in his small hand. 'Xian-gege will be alright,' he said, 'Zhan-gege will stop the shouting.'

Wei Wuxian smiled, 'That's good to know, little radish,' he said, 'You go on now. I'm sorry for shouting.'

'That's alright,' said A-Yuan before he turned his attention back to Nie Mingjue, 'Zhan-gege says no shouting.'

Nie Mingjue's eyebrows almost reached his hairline whilst Lan Xichen quickly took a cup from the table in the hope of hiding his smile behind it and his sleeve and failing miserably as his shoulders shook.

'When a three year old has to tell you how to behave things have got out of hand,' said Wen Qing, finally ushering the child back to his grandmother who hastened him out without another word, 'We will get nowhere if you continue to argue.'

'Wen-Guniang is right,' said Lan Wangji, 'And I have promised A-Yuan to ensure there is no more shouting.'

Nie Mingjue sighed, 'I do not recall even Huaisang having the bravery to speak to me in such a way.'

'A-Yuan knows nothing of sect politics,' said Lan Wangji, 'He just speaks as he finds.'

'The honesty and forthrightness of childhood is often overlooked,' said Lan Xichen, 'And Wen-Guniang is right, we will achieve nothing along this thread of conversation. Wei-Zongzhu, I can understand your reluctance and even your reasoning for wanting to keep the Yin Hu Fu as your own. Though I would hope I would never turn it to my own gain if you chose to allow us to care for it, I cannot speak that truth for every scenario the world could throw our way. Likewise, I can appreciate Nie-Zongzhu's position, as it mirrors mine, in the fact that where you fear the power is held, we too fear you holding it. You are a very capable, brave and resourceful young man but you are young all the same.'

'I lived more in this short lifetime than many, Zewu-Jun,' said Wei Wuxian, before he huffed out a breath, strands of hair flying upwards in the gust, 'I apologise, Chifeng-Zun, for my part of it. I know assurances that I would not use the Yin Hu Fu again without provocation mean little but they stand all the same. I am not willing, now or ever, to relinquish it to anyone but, should you be able to assure me, fully and truthfully that these people I protect are no longer at risk, then I will find a way to destroy it and then no one need fear it. Until I have that assurance though, it will remain in my possession and I will enter into no further discussion about it.'

Nie Mingjue nodded, 'A position then that we can work from,' he said, 'I am not happy but at least we have somewhere to work from. I cannot guarantee though that the other sect leaders will be willing to offer any assurance of this village's safety, if the Yin Hu Fu is still in existence.'

'Then I trust those who come to me as allies, will find a way to convince them,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I am afraid I cannot attend many audiences under our current restrictions. Perhaps, when Jin Guangshan admits the fault of the skirmish in the Qiongyi Path lies firmly in his own house, we can move on.'

'I do not believe we will get much further today, either way,' said Lan Xichen, 'Rest assured though, we may disagree on points but the support we are offering will not be withdrawn, it is clear that aide is needed and we will continue to provide it. I understand from Wangji that there is still a need for building materials.'

'I can show you what we have planned,' said Wen Qing, 'We have several people working on drawings.'

'It would be good to speak with them,' said Lan Xichen, 'What Gusu cannot provide, Qinghe might have the resources for.'

'Then if you would follow me,' said Wen Qing, getting to her feet as Lan Xichen and Nie Mingjue followed suit.

Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian rose with them but Lan Wangji took hold of Wei Wuxian's hand as he made to follow, holding him back until they were sufficiently out of earshot.

'If you're going to tell me off, you don't need to,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I need to learn to control my temper.'

'That wasn't what I was going to say,' said Lan Wangji, turning to face him and keeping his hand held in a loose grip, 'Wei Ying, I know the Yin Hu Fu is somehow essential to you and I know you will only use it when needed but they will not let it go. Unless it is destroyed or in the possession of one of the four major sects, you will always be at odds with them.'

'I know,' said Wei Wuxian, his shoulders sagging, 'I don't know what to do Lan Zhan. Either way…'

'I don't have an answer,' said Lan Wangji, 'But you can trust me, if you wish to. If you need help or advice, turn to me. I am on your side. I will always be on your side.'

Wei Wuxian smiled sadly, 'You're a fool,' he said fondly, 'But thank you. I will...give me time, I just need time, Lan Zhan.'

Lan Wangji squeezed his hand gently, 'I'll be here when you need me,' he said, 'However long it takes. My place is here at your side.'

It felt like the most natural thing in the world to step into the hug that was waiting for him, realising it was the first true one they had shared despite sleeping in such close proximity every night. He knew duty and their guests would soon press upon them once more but it the quiet of the fireside, Lan Wangji rested his cheek against his friend's shoulder and let his eyes fall shut. The world and all its pressures chased away even for the smallest moment in time.

Chapter 11: Loyalties

Notes:

Thank you all so much for your patience. Christmas, work (we got through every show without dropping one!! Go team), and my daughter and then me getting ill over the holidays meant I didn't get a lot of writing done and I'm only just getting back on track. I'm hoping to have everything back up to speed from now on though. This chapter is set directly after the last with LXC and NMJ still visiting. xx

Chapter Text

When Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji left the shelter of the cave to join Wen Qing where she was escorting their guests around the meagre settlement, it was not hard to see the difference between the world outside of the barriers and the one they inhabited. Even Nie Mingjue's darker robes looked too rich next to the dull, workaday robes the villagers wore. It was all he could do not to fidget with the fit of his own clothes, the visit unexpected and leaving him no time to change, but he scolded himself that the trappings of the world he left were also the ones still unwilling to proclaim the innocent free of any crime and instead confining them to poor shelters and the risk of starvation to prove a point.

He kept his step even with Wei Wuxian's, wanting to stay as close to his side as he could, the threat of the world that never truly left them all the more apparent even when in the presence of allies. He could feel the tension in his friend, knowing how difficult the situation was for him, even those speaking for him in the arena he was prohibited from working amidst caveats and requests he could not answer.

'You should give them the report you were working on,' said Wei Wuxian before they moved into earshot of the others.

'It is unfinished,' said Lan Wangji, 'I did not expect them to visit so soon and you have not had a chance to read it all.'

'Even so, I trust you and I know you will only write the truth,' said Wei Wuxian, 'They are going to Lanling, if they will not hear my voice there, I want them to hear yours.'

'They should be listening to you,' said Lan Wangji, 'I can speak with Xiongzhang, perhaps...'

'I could stand in front of them and shout and they still wouldn't hear me, Lan Zhan,' said Wei Wuxian with a small, sad smile, 'Besides, I don't want to leave the mountain. If I'm in Lanling and the others are here...the risk is just too great.'

'I would say you can rest assured they are protected whilst I'm here but then there is risk elsewhere,' said Lan Wangji, 'I would fear for you in Lanling if I was not with you. I do not know who we can trust any more.'

Wei Wuxian laid a hand on his arm, squeezing gently, 'Zewu-Jun,' he said, 'My Shijie and Jiang Cheng. I think even Jin Zixuan. It's not many but I'll take it. I have you to trust.'

'For all the help I am.'

Wei Wuxian smiled, 'You're more help than you know,' he said, 'Get your report. I doubt they want to linger long, not in this place.'

Lan Wangji wanted to offer a word of comfort that the place they inhabited was not so awful but he knew it would be hollow when their existence, as happy and fulfilled as they tried to make it, was little more than mud and sufferance and the ever present threat of the outside world. The look on Wei Wuxian's face as he walked away with a small wave told him that he shared the sentiment, their suffering shared at least.

He turned towards the space they shared, the makeshift room comforting in its familiarity as he headed to what had once been his bed and retrieved the box from beneath it that contained the report he had been compiling for his brother to present to the rest of the cultivation world. Though it was unfinished, it was more than adequate to explain the situation they were currently in and he could forward on the passages he had not yet written once they were completed.

It was not the voice that needed to be heard, Lan Wangji almost ill qualified to speak on behalf of the people he protected when it would take little more than for him to step off the mountain to be free of the deprivation they suffered upon it, but he could only hope that it offered enough to make the sects realise that compassion rather than revenge was needed.

The clean, white lines of his brother's robes would have been enough to alert Lan Wangji to the whereabouts of their visitors alone but the wary gazes of the villagers that followed them would have been an easy marker if he needed one. He had never imagined anyone would look upon his gentle brother with fear but never before had he held so many lives in his hand that could be ended with one wrong word. He knew he could spend hour upon hour reassuring those around him that Lan Xichen would never seek to bring harm to the innocent but he knew it would not be believed until the Wens were finally freed from both imprisonment and threat.

Though it had been apparent when Lan Wangji had first visited the Burial Mounds that even the former cultivators were no more than broken men posing no risk to the world, it was all the more obvious next to even the youngest of the disciples that followed Nie Mingjue and Lan Xichen at a respectful distance. He could put swords in their hands, run drills every day, even persuade some of them to work on the abilities they had once honed, but he knew they would never match the might of what the cultivation world could bring down upon them. Any fight, if it came to it, promising to be bloody and brief with the victor clear from the outset.

He pushed the thought from his head as he headed towards his brother, hoping that he and the disciples of GusuLan would be on their side and on time to prevent a tragedy if it was needed. He put no thought into the distance, only into hope that the promise made would be kept as best it could be.

'Xiongzhang,' he said, once Lan Xichen caught his gaze, Wei Wuxian continuing to speak with Nie Mingjue about the planned irrigation system he wanted to build in the spring to bring the purest of water from higher up the mountain to help the crops they wanted to grow in the tainted land surrounding them, 'I have my report for you.'

Lan Xichen smiled even as his brow furrowed, 'So quickly? You did not seem to anticipate our arrival.'

'I keep a regular log of events I think you and the other clan leaders should be made aware of,' said Lan Wangji, handing it to him, 'I have a few entries left to make but there is nothing pertinent or pressing. I am afraid it is far from the sensational account they will probably all want.'

Lan Xichen looked down at the neat bundle in his hand before he turned his attention to Nie Mingjue, a nod of the other man's head communicating beyond words. He could not hear what was said between Nie Mingjue, Wei Wuxian, and Wen Qing but, when his two friends bowed to the sect leader and then turned to offer the same genuflection to Lan Xichen, he realised the unplanned visit was coming to an end.

'We need to make our way on to Lanling,' said Lan Xichen, 'The sooner things are addressed the better we can clear up this misunderstanding. Walk with us to the barrier?'

Lan Wangji nodded, saying nothing of his opinion on the so-called misunderstanding between the food that had been promised and the food Jin Guangshan had allowed to be delivered. He met Wei Wuxian's gaze, the small smile a comfort that he felt no hesitation in Lan Wangji accompanying the two sect leaders to the edge of the settlement.

As the other disciples that had accompanied them filed ahead, Lan Wangji fell into step between his brother and Nie Mingjue, ignoring the itch in the back of his mind that he would be led far enough away for them to bundle him beyond the barrier and away from the people he had promised to protect. The silence from both of them spoke of things they did not want overheard by the Wens and he was thankful for years of happily not filling the vacuum left when others chose not to speak that kept him from doing so even as he wanted to ask for the truth of the thoughts he was certain had not been fully shared.

'You can rest assured that food will be delivered as promised from now on,' said Lan Xichen as they stepped into the bare, gnarled trees, 'We will provide an escort. I will also ensure the traders and the merchants in the locality will feel confident in accepting your token as payment. This will help as well.'

Lan Wangji came to a pause with the both of them as Lan Xichen reached into his robes and retrieved a heavy purse and handed it to him.

'I trust you to use it as necessary to ensure those here are kept fed and healthy,' said Lan Xichen, 'No account is needed unless you feel it pertinent.'

'Though we suggest spending it in Yiling rather than further off,' said Nie Mingjue.

Lan Wangji heard the humour in his tone, confusion lasting only a moment before he realised the implication of it. It had been in front of all the cultivation world that Nie Mingjue had announced he had the Burial Mounds watched, that other sects watched just as closely. It would be a foolish assumption that they would only think to guard to obvious entrance and exit to the mountain.

'We had no choice,' said Lan Wangji, seeing the same amusement laced with worry on his brother's face, 'We did not know help would come and there was nothing left. I could not let them starve.'

'To leave and with Wen Ning with you was dangerous,' said Lan Xichen, 'You were lucky so far it seems only Mingjue-Xiong's people saw you.'

'It was a risk we had to take.'

'You should have waited for me,' said Lan Xichen, 'There was enough food for the village to survive on if you had waited for me.'

Lan Wangji shook his head, 'Not enough,' he said, 'They were already...the rats got into the stores, destroyed things. We hadn't eaten properly for days and people were getting ill, desperate. I could not stand there and wait when they were starving not when we couldn't be sure that help would come.'

'You know that help will come,' said Lan Xichen.

'The same way I knew food would be delivered for all of us and look what arrived,' said Lan Wangji, 'This is not a place where patience is always of use. Patience can be a death sentence.'

Nie Mingjue shook his head, 'You are unused to poverty, things are not so dire.'

'Chifeng-Zun, look around you. This is not just poverty. They are desperate and scared. I could not add to that burden.'

'And yet you put yourself and all of them in danger by leaving as well,' said Nie Mingjue, 'There are those who will look on any infraction as cause to fall upon this mountain and kill every living soul on it. You left with the Gui Jiangjun who is responsible for the deaths...'

'Su She is responsible for the deaths of the cultivators in Qiongqi Path,' said Lan Wangji, 'Wen Ning was not in control of his own actions.'

'And if someone else had been in control of his actions when you were out with him?' said Lan Xichen.

'I was aware of the risks. The benefits of our journey outweighed them,' said Lan Wangji, 'The village ate well the night we returned. They have continued to eat well. I could not wait. They could not wait.'

'Wangji...'

'What of the day when aid does not come?' said Lan Wangji, 'When Jin Guangshan puts a strangle hold on this place that is so tight that even you cannot get through. I will not let them suffer and starve, not again.'

Nie Mingjue cleared his throat, before he nodded towards the disciples standing further away. 'I will make sure all are ready to leave,' he said before stepping away.

It was an obvious move, leaving Lan Wangji with his brother and sect leader, and he was almost tempted to send up the signal to drop the barrier and turn himself back to the village if only to avoid crossing words once more. Lan Xichen's face gentled as he regarded him but with a steel in his eyes that Lan Wangji knew well, the stubbornness of their bloodline keen in both of them even if it was displayed differently.

'Shufu wants you to return to the Cloud Recesses,' said Lan Xichen, 'And to arrange with the other sects to provide guard and witness for this place. He worries how you might be faring here.'

Lan Wangji resisted the urge to step back but planted his feet on the barren ground all the same even as he knew his brother was far above manhandling him from the place.

'Thank Shufu for his concern but please inform him that I took on this task with the view of seeing it through to its conclusion and that it would not be appropriate for me to leave when it is yet unfinished.'

Lan Xichen sighed, 'You are getting too close, Wangji,' he said, 'Your task was to observe, to provide information on the characters and intentions of Wei Wuxian and the Wens to all the sects so that an appropriate decision can be made about their future.'

'And I am doing so,' said Lan Wangji, 'I have given you my report. My recommendation, if sought, would be to settle them all somewhere peaceful and allow them to live their lives unhindered.'

'And would you choose to live with them?' said Lan Xichen, 'Because I have heard more passion from you this afternoon than I have ever heard before. These are not your family, these are not your friends, these are people you have been sent to watch and to be impartial to.'

'I will be impartial when I do not have a three year old crying in my arms due to the pain in his stomach when he has not had a meal,' said Lan Wangji, before he dropped his gaze, 'Forgive me, Xiongzhang. It is hard to see such suffering when I feel it can be prevented.'

'Prevented indeed,' said Lan Xichen, 'And easily. If Wei Wuxian...'

'We have had this discussion,' said Lan Wangji, cutting off any further talk of the Yin Hu Fu, 'And the answer will not change.'

'It needs to. For the sake of the Wens, for Wei Wuxian himself, and for you. I know he is your friend but right now he is a very dangerous man for you to be associated with.'

'Jin Guangyao appears to be a very dangerous man as well and yet you trusted him enough to swear your brotherhood in front of the whole world,' said Lan Wangji, the words leaving him before he could give them any true consideration but he did nothing to retract them, 'Wei Ying has never used the Yin Hu Fu against anyone other than Wen Ruohan and his armies. He has never sought his own betterment with it. Jin Guangyao tried to have his own half brother and cousin murdered. I do not think it is the so-called dangerous man I am associated with that we should be fearful of.'

Lan Xichen was silent for a moment, eyes growing distant before he sighed, 'I was misled,' he said, 'The world was misled and we are lucky the consequences were not worse. It is hard to think that someone I trusted acted so but I also believe we have not yet heard the whole story. He is still being questioned. There may yet be some reasoning to it all.'

'And yet Wei Ying is guilty of all despite the evidence to the contrary,' said Lan Wangji, 'How will the judgement on him and these people ever be fair? How can he give up the Yin Hu Fu when doing so puts them further at risk when already the world is stacked against them?'

'He must if he ever wants them free of this place,' said Lan Xichen, 'The one thing you are forgetting is, guilty or not, Jin Guangyao's cultivation is orthodox, Wei Wuxian's is not. Whilst he retains mastery of the Yin Hu Fu there is nothing you, I, or anyone else can do to help him.'

Lan Wangji shook his head, 'You're wrong. As long as they are here and for as long as I am able I will help these people. I will keep them alive and warm and fed by whatever means necessary and I will fight for the justice they deserve.'

'Wangji,' said Lan Xichen, reaching out for him but stopping short of touching him, 'Don't be on the wrong side of this. Don't put yourself in jeopardy.'

'Don't allow them to put us in jeopardy then,' he replied, 'Those out there who would harm a child for his name. Take my words and what you've seen to them. We will continue here as we have done. The snow is coming soon. We have a lot of work to do. I will understand if the generosity bestowed...'

'Oh Wangji, give me peace,' said Lan Xichen, pushing away his hand as he raised the money bag back towards him, 'I'm cautioning you, not looking to punish you. Keep it and use it however you see fit. I, too, have no wish to see a child or anyone else go hungry needlessly. Just promise me you will take care and speak to Wei Wuxian. Do what you can. There is only so far we can go, regardless of other investigations, whilst the Yin Hu Fu is in his hands.'

'And we understand that,' said Lan Wangji, 'Tell Shufu I will write to him but as for his request...'

'I had already advised him of the outcome of that particular request,' said Lan Xichen with a smile, 'Wangji, promise me that you will at least give me time to make things right if they go wrong next time. At the end of this I want you to be able to come back to the world you belong in without anyone looking down on you for your duties here.'

'I care little for the opinions of most who would think they hold sway over my future,' said Lan Wangji, 'I live alongside my own conscience and happily so.'

'Xichen, we're losing the light.'

Nie Mingjue's words cut through from further down the hill, his face sympathetic but set as both Lan Xichen and Lan Wangji looked over to him.

'We need to get on our way or we will be late for the gathering in Lanling.'

'He's right,' said Lan Xichen, 'And, in light of recent events, it is pertinent that we are there from the start. I will write to you with any news.'

'Do not conceal anything. I know we would all rather know than only guess at the worst of it,' said Lan Wangji, 'I can only hope my words might persuade those as yet undecided to look elsewhere for their enemies.'

'That remains to be seen,' said Lan Xichen, hand hovering undecided between them once more before he tucked it behind his back, 'Do not take any unnecessary risks and try to reason with Wei Wuxian. He may yet listen to you.'

Lan Wangji nodded knowing he would heed his brother's words as he always had but would follow his own conscience in the coming weeks when both the weather and politics would hold heavy sway. With a neat bow first in Nie Mingjue's direction and then his brother's, he sent up the signal for the barrier to be lowered, seeing the faint shimmer ahead as it did so.

'If you need anything, let me know,' said Lan Xichen.

'We will manage until the next delivery,' said Lan Wangji, 'Though A-Yuan needs paper and ink for his lessons. We have enough but it will be in short supply before too long, he has not yet learned to be sparing.'

Lan Xichen smiled, 'I will include some additional supplies. Wangji...'

'Chifeng-Zun is right about the light,' said Lan Wangji, 'Night falls fast here and the path can be treacherous especially after all the rain. You want to be on decent roads before it is dark.'

He watched as several words rose and died on his brother's lips before he nodded, turning to where the others were fast disappearing into the trees, Nie Mingjue the only one waiting for him to join the group. Despite the pull of the village behind, Lan Wangji could not help the melancholy feeling of loss that accompanied his brother's retreating form. Though they had often disagreed he had never felt quite so at odds with him but he knew all the same that, even if Lan Xichen spoke as a sect leader rather than a sibling, he would remain committed to his place in the Burial Mounds.

He waited until he could no longer see any flash of white robes below before he sent up another signal, watching the barrier rise to surround them once more. He took a breath, the damp air growing colder as twilight began to envelop them. Where before the air had seemed foetid and close, it now felt easier to breath, the mountain and the barrier Wei Wuxian had built a way of keeping the world and all its expectations at bay.

'Zhan-gege? Has the loud man gone? Did he shout at you?'

Lan Wangji smiled, turning as A-Yuan slipped out from behind the nearby trees. 'No one shouted at me,' he said, 'How long have you been there?'

'Will Zewu-Jun really send me new paper and ink for my lessons?'

'He said he would,' said Lan Wangji, picking up the child with ease as he began walking back towards the village, 'You will have to practice and write to him to thank him.'

'Will Zhan-gege help me?'

'Always,' said Lan Wangji, steadying the child with his hand as A-Yuan shifted against him, burying his soft, round face against his shoulder.

'I don't like it when the strangers come,' said A-Yuan softly, 'I get scared and Xian-gege gets sad.'

'There is no need to be scared of Zewu-Jun or Chifeng-Zun, even when he shouts,' said Lan Wangji, 'They are trying to help us as best they can.'

'But they said that Xian-gege had to give them something or no one would help. It's not nice to take people's things. The bad men in the bad place took my toys away. The ones Popo had let me bring when they came and told us we had to go. Will they take the toys you and Xian-gege bought me away when they take Xian-gege's things?'

Lan Wangji came to a pause, tightening his arms as he heard the soft trembling breath that he knew could precede tears. 'No one will take your toys ever again,' he said, 'I will not let them.'

'And Xian-gege's things too.'

'I will not let anyone take anything from this place that is not willingly given,' promised Lan Wangji, 'And I will do all I can to make sure the bad men never come near you again.'

'I don't want to go back to the bad place,' said A-Yuan, hands twisting into the rough fabric of Lan Wangji's robes, 'This place is scary sometimes but I know you and Xian-gege will protect us. They took away the people who tried to protect us there and hurt them. That's why...'

'Hush now,' said Lan Wangji, rubbing a hand over his back as the soft sniffles began against his throat, 'It is over and done. I will always keep you safe.'

He knew the horrors of the Jin work camp would haunt the child in his arms for the rest of his life, even if he could spend it in the luxury and safety Lan Wangji had once known in his own childhood. He could take away hunger and pain and fear but the memories would always remain, a life tainted by things A-Yuan had been too young to see or understand. He almost wanted to follow his brother, to take A-Yuan in his mud stained robes and hold him up to the sects that judged him by his name to show them just who they were harming with their endless talk and inaction, too concerned with their own betterment to consider the impact on those undeserving of such a life of suffering. He shook away the thought as fast as it came though, only too aware of how it would play. At worse, A-Yuan's family line would be traced, a death attributed to a near relation and the child punished for it, bad blood and bad name the excuses given. At best, he would be squirrelled into some obscure sect, his name erased, brought low but saved even as those he loved were still in harm's way. He was better to be low and nameless in the Burial Mounds than ever down at heel wherever the sects thought to put him in their so-called compassion.

'Promise you won't ever go,' said A-Yuan, 'Promise?'

Lan Wangji knew he should tell him that he could not work in absolutes, that there was only so many times he could refuse his family and the will of the cultivation world, but in that moment the words that passed his lips could only give one answer.

'I promise,' he said, 'For as long as you are here, then I am here.'

'To protect me?'

'Always,' said Lan Wangji.

'And Xian-gege. You'll protect him too.'

'I will protect all of you,' said Lan Wangji, tilting his face so he could wipe away the tears on his cheeks with a sleeve, 'I will never leave you, little radish.'

A-Yuan smiled. 'That's what Xian-gege calls me,' he said, 'I like you calling me it too. Can you tell me a story tonight?'

'Mn. After supper,' said Lan Wangji, 'First I need to speak to Xian-gege.'

'He went to his room. He looked worried. Shall I come and help you look after him?'

'Later on,' said Lan Wangji, continuing on the path once more, 'For now, can you help Popo?'

A-Yuan nodded, wriggling out of his arms as they reached the first of the covered plots of earth, his upset forgotten if the skip in his step was anything to go by. Lan Wangji wished his own mood could be so easily changed, knowing the conundrum before them was not one that was easily solved.

He found Wei Wuxian stretched out on the bed they shared, Chenqing twisting idly beneath his fingers as he whistled some nameless, happy tune but Lan Wangji could hear the catch in some of the notes that indicated his unease.

'Wei Ying.'

The tune ceased, Wei Wuxian's hand tightening around the dizi for a moment before he let out a small, humourless laugh, 'They let you come back,' he said, 'I felt certain they would have taken you with them. Your brother looked set to.'

'He asked me if I wanted to,' said Lan Wangji, 'And Shufu has indicated he wishes for me to return home. I told Xiongzhang that I would remain here.'

'You should have gone when you had the chance.'

'I do not want to go,' said Lan Wangji, 'We have money again. Xiongzhang left a good purse with me.'

'Then you have money, not we,' said Wei Wuxian, sitting up, 'How long do you think we have before even your good brother won't want to help us any longer?'

'He will always stand on the side of right, however hard it is,' said Lan Wangji, 'We cannot give up hope.'

'We're going in circles,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Maybe...'

'Maybe what?' said Lan Wangji, sitting beside him, the straw mattress unforgiving beneath him.

'Wen Ning and I could leave,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Wait for the weather to turn bad, head out in it, they're less likely to have as many people watching then. We disappear and maybe then they'll let the others go free.'

'You'd be hunted for the rest of your days.'

'A price I'd happily pay,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I just want them to be safe.'

'Without you, I fear they won't ever be.'

Wei Wuxian nudged him with his shoulder, 'They'd have you,' he said, 'Better than me any day. I know you'd do all you could for them.'

'They are safer with us both,' said Lan Wangji, his heart beating a treacherous tattoo beneath his ribs as he thought of watching Wei Wuxian disappear into the freezing weather to come, 'Please do not think any more on leaving.'

Wei Wuxian laughed but it was a broken sound. 'It was a fleeting thought. I haven't even discussed it with Wen Ning and I think Wen Qing would see fit to string me up toenails first,' he said, 'Besides, the road off the back of the mountain is bad enough now, even before it has snowed.'

'And it is watched,' said Lan Wangji, 'They know I left.'

'Who saw you?' said Wei Wuxian, his hand swiftly finding Lan Wangji's, 'You won't be punished for it will you? You're allowed to leave. If they say you're not allowed to leave...'

'Wei Ying, don't worry. It was Chifeng-Zun's people who saw me and, though Xiongzhang cautioned me against leaving with Wen Ning again, little more was said though he wants me to wait to hear back from him before acting if there is a next time. I told him I would act as I saw fit for the good of those I am caring for.'

Wei Wuxian sighed, 'You shouldn't put yourself at odds with them. You've got a life after this place.'

'So have you.'

'In the brief moments before they run me through or worse,' said Wei Wuxian.

Lan Wangji tightened his fingers around his hand, 'Don't say such things. We will find a way through this.'

'May I borrow your optimism?'

'Anything you need. Here.'

Lan Wangji reached into his robes, retrieving the purse Lan Xichen had given to him and placing it in Wei Wuxian's lap. 'Just in case I am called away,' he said, 'Keep it safe.'

'You should probably give it to Wen Qing. I'm not normally allowed near the money.'

'I trust you.'

'Fool.'

'Mn. That remains to be seen,' said Lan Wangji, 'A-Yuan was anxious. He heard some of our conversation and was still upset by your disagreement with Chifeng-Zun. I know you may not be in the mood for it but he needs to see you unworried by it. He needs to know he is safe here. That we are always here for him.'

Wei Wuxian sighed before he turned to him with a small but genuine smile. 'I may struggle but if Hanguang-Jun consents to sing for us this evening, I may find myself in a better mood.'

'For A-Yuan, maybe,' said Lan Wangji, 'We have food and we have peace tonight. Can our troubles wait until the morning?'

'Afternoon at least,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Si-Shu has opened a new batch of his fruit wine and I feel I have earned a cup or two today.'

Lan Wangji looked over to the low bed that had long since ceased to be his own, the thought of the lonely cold of it unappealing even if it meant sharing with someone insensible with wine. 'Just remember I have to sleep next to you.'

'I'll sneak you a glass and then you'll sleep like a rock once you've finished making trouble,' said Wei Wuxian, his laugh brighter, 'And this time Grand Master Lan won't punish us for it.'

'Even so. I will leave the drinking to you. You are far more proficient than I.'

The laugh that followed was genuine, bringing a smile to Lan Wangji's own lips in answer to it.

'Lan Zhan you are too cruel to me, too cruel.'

'Mn. Very cruel,' said Lan Wangji before he got to his feet, Wei Wuxian tucking the purse beneath the mattress as he stood as well, 'Come. The others are waiting.'

The arm that curled around his was warm and grounding, a touch he had grown used to after years of shying away from such things. It was a change he never thought he would welcome but, like the chill and the mud and the unforgiving mattress on their bed, he found he could cope with it tolerably well with the friend it kept close to his side.

Chapter 12: Dangerland

Notes:

Hi All. A couple of small warnings for this chapter for injury, blood and brief suicidal thoughts/wishing for death but nothing graphic or prolonged. Nova xx

Chapter Text

Wei Wuxian smiled as the last notes rang out from Lan Wangji's qin, the sensation of the spirit who had been near to them fading entirely as they found their rest with the guidance of his music.

It had not been something he had originally predicted would occur when Lan Wangji had come to live with them in the Burial Mounds but now it seemed like the most normal thing to sit beside his friend as he played the gentle notes that soothed and calmed and allowed those spirits trapped in the world to be free of it.

He had not wanted Lan Wangji to witness the darker side of his cultivation, the darkness of the resentful energy that had made a home within him, but the Burial Mounds were not a place that would keep quiet for long and, as the winter days grew shorter and colder, so the spirits that belonged there became more and more restless. There had been incidences before but, with Lan Wangji occupied helping with the crops or at least some distance from Wei Wuxian, any restlessness of the more spiteful spirits had been easy to dispel without him witnessing it first hand, even if he knew what had happened the moment he looked at Wei Wuxian.

They didn't speak of it. It was a quiet taboo between them, an unspoken agreement not to divulge and not to pry, a way of keeping everything in a place where Lan Wangji could deny witnessing anything too unorthodox and where Wei Wuxian could feel he was not forcing his friend to conceal the darker truths that surrounded him. If Lan Wangji's arms were a little tighter around him when Wei Wuxian woke from his nightmares then that too remained unspoken, as did the very notion that neither of them wanted for any other bed now they had found how comforting it was to sleep pressed side by side.

As the winter had progressed and the weather chased them inside more and more, it was impossible to hide it from him any longer. The ghosts that had reforged Wei Wuxian had grudgingly allowed the presence of the Wens above their bones but it did not mean they left them entirely in peace. The first time they had chosen to make mischief where Lan Wangji could witness it, Wei Wuxian had nearly wept at the look his friend wore as he had held Chenqing to his lips and dispelled the spirits as quickly as he could before A-Yuan's whimpers could turn to full blown tears. It had been the frightened boy who had kept the questions at bay for a short while, the boy wanting to keep Lan Wangji close even as the man had clearly wanted nothing more than to follow Wei Wuxian to the corner of the room where he silently took himself to recover.

The next time had been a narrowly averted disaster, the resentful spirit that came far more violent than most and choosing to pick on A-Yuan. It was Lan Wangji who had dispatched it, the sharp note of his qin almost as startling as the appearance of the spirit. It had riled the others though, the spirits clearly sensing another danger in their midst, not just the one they had forged themselves, and had risen in vengeance for their eliminated companion. Wei Wuxian had had no time to placate them, the attack too swift, and he was only glad they stayed focused on him and Lan Wangji. His power could not be concealed, the truth of it on full display as he and Lan Wangji battled to subdue them.

It was in the aftermath, when they were alone in the dark of their room and pressed back to back on the bed rather than curled close as was their custom, that Lan Wangji had asked why and Wei Wuxian had answered that it was necessary. He had hoped it would be the end of it and for several days it seemed to have been but he caught Lan Wangji's sharp eyes on him more often, saw the furrow in his brow whenever Wei Wuxian wrapped a hand around Chenqing, heard the worry that now laced his voice whenever he woke Wei Wuxian from his nightmares. It had been early one morning when Lan Wangji had finally raised the subject again but, to Wei Wuxian's relief and surprise, the questions were not about how or why his power was as it was but instead how he could help prevent the resentful and restless spirits from posing harm to those they cared for.

Wei Wuxian had wanted to resist, scared of what Lan Wangji might learn, but the earnestness of the request and the hope that came with protecting those yet living whilst also aiding those long dead had him agreeing and they soon fell into a pattern. Wei Wuxian would summon the spirits, Lan Wangji would dispatch them as was fitting. For those who fought and threatened, the end was swift and unforgiving. For those who just sought peace, Lan Wangji guided them to a path away from resentment and to an easy departure. Together they brought the Burial Mounds to a peace it had not known for so many years, the nights growing easier as the darkness receded.

'They've gone,' said Lan Wangji as he laid a hand over the strings of his qin to quiet them, 'They were more than ready, it did not take much.'

'At least we didn't have any difficult ones,' said Wei Wuxian, shifting from the neat position he sat in into a familiar slouch at Lan Wangji's side, 'A-Yuan is a bad enough fidget when he insists on being in bed with us, let alone when he has nightmares. One day, I hope he can live in a place that doesn't give him nightmares.'

'He will. I am sure of it,' said Lan Wangji, dismissing his qin with a wave of his hand.

'I sometimes wonder if we couldn't smuggle him out,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Find a quiet, simple family where he could live a quiet simple life, away from all who hate him for his name.'

'His family and his name are a part of him,' said Lan Wangji, 'It would be a disservice to take them away. It would only be something to countenance if it was to save his life. Right now, we need not go so far.'

Wei Wuxian smiled, 'There's my philosopher,' he said fondly before he yawned, 'I think we've been at this most of the night. It will be dawn soon.'

'You should sleep,' said Lan Wangji, 'There is still too much of a frost in the mornings to plant much out so the work is still minimal.'

'There is still building work to do,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I don't hold out much hope for any sort of decision before the spring so we have to realise we're probably here for a long while yet.'

'Xiongzhang's last letter said they would be meeting again once the snow had cleared.'

'Meeting again as in Jin Guangshan insisting I be forced to had over the Wens and the Yin Hu Fu whilst he tries to push the blame for everything that bastard Meng Yao tried to do onto me.'

'He will not succeed,' said Lan Wangji.

Wei Wuxian sighed, 'I wish I had your confidence,' he said, his head falling to rest on his friend's shoulder, 'I'm sorry they continue to trap you here.'

'I am not trapped,' said Lan Wangji, 'I can leave whenever I please but I do not wish to. I like being here.'

'Even with the cold and the hunger and the restless spirits.'

'Even then,' said Lan Wangji, 'A simple, honest life is one easy to be content with and we are not so cold or so hungry any more.'

Wei Wuxian shuddered, 'Tell that to my chilly bones,' he said, 'I think I would have frozen weeks ago were it not for you being so warm beside me every night.'

'I'm sure A-Yuan would have happily obliged,' said Lan Wangji prompting a laugh from Wei Wuxian.

'You don't kick quite as much as he does,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Has Grand Master Lan written to insist you leave again?'

'Not since I last told him I planned to see this to its conclusion,' said Lan Wangji, 'He is not happy but I think, at least in part, he understands. I made a promise to remain here until a decision was made. A decision has yet to be made and so I remain. It is against our principles to give up on a task just because there is hardship.'

'I do not believe it is the hardship he worries about but more the company you keep here,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I would write to him and reassure him that we are keeping you safe and no one is trying to taint your cultivation but I doubt he will accept my word for it.'

'Maybe not,' said Lan Wangji, 'He asks after you though. He asks if you are well.'

'And then if I have returned to the path they all want me on.'

'We all wish to see you back on the orthodox path,' said Lan Wangji, 'Me included but I appreciate you have reasons even if you cannot share them. I fear the harm you may do to yourself, I mourn that you do so, but you do not harm others. Whatever has led you to this path, you are still good, that is all that matters.'

'The world would be a kinder place if every one was like you, Lan Zhan,' said Wei Wuxian, feeling the tears prick his eyes at the faith so softly spoken next to him, the faith that helped to keep at least some of the ever clawing darkness in him at bay, 'Thank you for keeping your kindness here with us.'

Lan Wangji was quiet, his breathing soft and even. It was a quiet that Wei Wuxian had always tried to fill but, after several months of spending every day side by side, he had learned to enjoy the silence, to breathe in the peace and the contentment that came with every moment. He was sure he could fall asleep if he allowed himself, Lan Wangji's shoulder strong and comfortable, wreathed in the familiar, warm scent of his hair that had not faded despite the deprivation of the Burial Mounds when the closest they got to a bath was the stream or a hasty scrub down in the corner of their room when it was too cold to venture outside.

'I'm happy here.'

The softly spoken statement barely cut through the quiet but Wei Wuxian smiled all the same.

'Strange man,' he said, 'What could make you happy here in this dreary old place?'

'You are here.'

The shoulder beneath Wei Wuxian's cheek tensed as though the words had not meant to be spoken aloud and for a moment he thought to laugh it off, to tease and make a joke of Lan Wangji's words. The sudden acceleration of his heartbeat and the butterflies that took flight in his stomach wanted more though, wanted to know if the softly spoken words meant the same as he was coming to believe the arms around him at night and the lips he often felt on his brow when he woke did. He wanted to know if Lan Wangji's happiness of being with him meant the same as Wei Wuxian's, that they had long since passed by friendship into something warm, comforting and unspoken that did not need words though Wei Wuxian was sure their lips could find a way to communicate it all the same.

'I am happy you are here too,' he said, hearing the soft hitch in Lan Wangji's breathing, clearly waiting for the joke that would usually follow, 'I don't know how I did this for so long without you with me.'

Cool fingers that trembled only a little slipped in between his, the grip turning sure as he returned it.

'I am at your side now,' said Lan Wangji, 'I will always be at your side.'

Wei Wuxian raised his head, turning enough to meet the Lan Wangji's anxious gaze, brilliant eyes flecked gold by the candlelight they had worked by. The soft pinking of his ears and the crest of his cheekbones could again be attributed to the light were it not for the fact that Wei Wuxian had worked beside him for so many nights and never seen the same colour there. He felt the warmth in his own cheeks, tingling with anticipation as the strong fingers around his tightened briefly.

'Wei Ying,' said Lan Wangji, his voice softening to a whisper reserved usually for when A-Yuan slept between them, 'I…'

Wei Wuxian cursed luck and timing and anything else that could have come into play as a loud crash echoed from outside the cave they had been working in followed by panicked shouts. The annoyance lasted only for a moment though before he was on his feet and running for the source of the sound, Lan Wangji at his heels.

Dawn was just making itself known, the sky pinking in the east even as the main sources of light remained the beacons they kept alight whenever fuel and weather allowed for it, several talismans protecting them from the perpetual drizzle that had replaced the snow in the last week. It was not the light that caught his attention though but the number of people outside before the sun was up, all of them still in the robes they slept in and bundled in blankets against the chill, screaming and crying as another crash echoed around them.

'It's coming down!'

The cry was followed by one of the large wooden beams that held up one of the dwellings they had built falling towards the crowd which scattered before it hit.

'They're still in there!'

The larger of the houses, the one they had worked on to be warm and comfortable, the one they had all agreed should house two of their most vulnerable. The house that A-Yuan and his Popo were not standing outside of like the others were.

'They're still in there,' said Wei Wuxian in horror, feet carrying him over to where several of the men were pulling away what they could of the collapsed wall.

His hands were bloody in moments, catching on splinters from the broken wood, but the cries from inside kept him going. He did not know who was beside him, working frantically to find a space to get through, calling out for them as he did so. The shattered wood finally relented, leaving him an opening to see through, relief flooding him as he found both of them huddled beneath another fallen beam that had caught enough to provide a shelter rather than to hit them.

The gap Wei Wuxian was looking through widened and he turned to see Wen Ning bearing the weight of the structure, Lan Wangji at his side to help shoulder the load.

'Wei-Gongzi, get them out,' said Wen Ning, his eyes wide and pleading as the remnants of the house creaked ominously above them.

The gap was still too small for even A-Yuan to climb through, the frame of the house twisted and bent awkwardly but too strong still for them to pull it away with bare hands. Wei Wuxian stepped back, looking over the ruin and trying best to see where they could widen it without the structure collapsing. He could hear the strain in his friends' breathing as they fought to keep the beam from falling further, knowing even Wen Ning's preternatural strength and Lan Wangji's own well trained one would not hold out forever. There were several scattered beams that had broken away and he directed the strongest of the men who surrounded the building to prop up as much as they could with them before he aimed a talisman at the hole, widening it enough to allow people in and out.

A-Yuan was the first through, picked up and passed through several people as he was borne away from danger. His grandmother though remained in place, her face showing the pain she had hidden from her young grandson. Wei Wuxian eased himself through the gap, having to duck low beneath the collapsed roof to reach her.

'Popo, what's wrong?' he said, keeping the flinch at bay as the beam above him creaked.

'I can't stand,' she said, 'My ankle.'

Wei Wuxian knew the angle would be too difficult for him to carry her in his arms and keep his balance so he turned, cursing the uneven ground as he was forced to steady himself against the precarious beam as she climbed onto his back. He frowned at the light weight, realising just how much the lean winter months had taken their toll. Though the provisions were regular it was still not enough for all of them to eat well every day and those who could had given up meals on many occasions for those who could not but it still had not kept any of them well fed. With a muttered curse to those who kept them so confined, more and more so without reason, he balanced as best he could and made his way to the hole they had made.

He turned as he reached it, the large splinters too much of a risk of catching the elderly woman on his back if he tried to scramble through carrying her. Strong hands gently lifted her away from him, bearing her to safety.

He heard the crack above him, knowing in the split second he had that he wouldn't be able to get through the gap and instead diving backwards into the shelter that had protected A-Yuan and his Popo. It was not enough though, the beam crumbling and leaving even Wen Ning and Lan Wangji unable to hold it upright. He was not sure if it was his scream or someone else's that echoed around as something heavy fell across his back, driving the wind out of him and pinning him to the floor.

'Wei Ying! Wei Ying!'

He heard the terrified shout muffled through the crumbled walls, dust and debris making him cough as he opened his mouth to reply.

'Wei Wuxian!'

'Wei-Gongzi?'

'Wei Ying? Can you hear me?'

'Lan Zhan,' he croaked through the dust, 'Lan Zhan, I'm here.'

'Wei Ying, stay still. We'll get to you,' came the reply, 'Are you hurt?'

'I…' said Wei Wuxian, pausing as he tried to take stock of his body, pain blooming in various places, warmth where he assumed there would be blood but it was the lack of sensation beneath his waist that gave him pause, 'My legs. I can't…'

Another crash silenced him and he threw an arm over his head but nothing heavy fell on him.

'Stay still,' said Lan Wangji again, 'We're coming.'

The voices outside were muffled again but he could hear people given commands, Lan Wangji's deep tones alongside Wen Qing's sharper ones. Two of his dearest friends working side by side to help him. Two people he had dragged into the mess that was his life, held captive by his resistance to release the one thing he had to protect those he loved.

The horrible, niggling little voice that sounded like Yu-Furen - however awful it made Wei Wuxian feel to think ill of the dead - took the moment to will the beam keeping the roof from falling in on his head to give way. Things would be easier if he was dead. Lan Wangji would be able to beg clemency for those remaining, he was sure of it. The vendetta against what remained of the Wens had been turned into more because of the Yin Hu Fu, the weapon coveted by all but held by him. Its secrets and power could die with him if only the roof would fall in.

'Wei Ying. We're nearly through.'

Lan Wangji's voice wrenched his thoughts from the dark ones whispering through his head, bright like the thin sunlight he could finally see filtering through the chinks in the detritus that had once been a house. He snapped his eyes closed as a larger piece was pulled away, raining more dust down onto him along with something cold and wet that he could only hope was moss from the roof. He opened them again though at the bitter curse that came from the opening, the word one he had learned from the more hardened fisherman and been scolded soundly by Yu-Furen for using mistakenly in his youth, so hearing it fall from Lan Wangji's lips was enough to make him forget his predicament if only for a moment to huff out a laugh.

'It must be bad,' he said, hearing the sigh behind him, 'Lan Zhan, is it bad?'

'There is a beam across your back,' said Lan Wangji, 'We will move it.'

'That would be good,' said Wei Wuxian, hearing the grunts of effort behind him as the men worked to strengthen the structure.

Finally, after what seemed like an age with the ruin cracking and dumping dust on him from on high, he was relieved to feel a familiar warm hand on his shoulder, Lan Wangji's face streaked with dirt and pale with worry as he crouched before him.

'You'll finally have something interesting to write to Zewu-Jun about.'

The joke fell flat, Lan Wangji's eyes going sharp as he regarded him, 'Do not joke,' he said, 'You could have been killed. Are you injured?'

Wei Wuxian nodded, the pain he had been able to ignore before finally making itself strongly known in every place except where he had no sensation at all. 'My legs,' he said, 'Lan Zhan, I can't feel them.'

The sudden breath and widening of Lan Wangji's eyes was enough and Wei Wuxian closed his own, not wanting to see the pity there as Lan Wangji's fingers tightened on his shoulder.

'You'll be fine. Wen-Guniang is waiting just outside.'

He kept his eyes shut as he nodded, trying to keep the tears at bay, fear assailing him now rescue felt so close by. Even as people worked around him, he dared not look and only answered when he was spoken to directly. Finally, he heard Lan Wangji give the instruction to lift which was quickly followed by sounds of pained effort and the scrape of boots against the floor. The weight that had been on him at last relented though but, rather than the relief that should have come, the pain that hadn't been in his legs before made itself known without mercy, pulling a scream from his lips as loud and agonised as it had been when he had first been thrown into the Burial Mounds.

'Wei Ying? Have we hurt you?'

He couldn't voice words, only able to bite back the cries into whimpers as he felt hands on him once more, checking his legs for injury. He squeezed the hand that slipped into his, unsure who it belonged to but grateful for it all the same.

'Careful when you lift him,' came Wen Qing's voice, 'Keep him as still as you can. Keep the board steady.'

'Wei Ying,' said Lan Wangji next to his ear, 'We need to move you and then carry you. It will hurt but we will try to keep it to a minimum. I will be with you.'

'Lan Zhan,' said Wei Wuxian, groping for his hand and squeezing it tightly when he found it, the answering grip offering him something to ground him, 'If anything happens to me, promise me...'

'You'll be fine,' said Lan Wangji, his voice catching on the words, 'You're going to be fine.'

'I'm scared.'

'I'm with you. I'm with you.'

Wei Wuxian did not have the capacity to feel embarrassed about the whimper that escaped him as Lan Wangji's hand left his, or the need to chase the swift, soft press of lips against his temple before they too withdrew. More hands came on him then, gentle but bringing pain with every touch as they moved him onto a solid plank of wood before he was lifted above the rubble. He kept his eyes closed, the nausea threatening in his gut not helped by the pain or the strange movement of the board beneath him. Finally, he was set down, the cold and the wind chased away for what counted as warmth in the village, a familiar hand finding his once more.

'Wei Ying?'

'Still here,' he croaked, 'Hurts.'

'Wen-Guniang is here,' said Lan Wangji.

Wei Wuxian tightened his grip as he felt the hand that held his begin to slip away, 'Don't let go,' he said, not caring for how desperate the words sounded, 'Lan Zhan, please don't let go.'

The grip became sure and certain once more. 'Not until I have to.'

He felt smaller hands on him, opening his eyes to see Wen Qing running quick, clever eyes over him, a pinch set into her brow.

'I need a knife,' she said, 'Small but sharp.'

'Wen Qing!' cried Wei Wuxian, horror flooding him as the memory of the last time she was close to him with a knife in her hand twisted his stomach.

'Calm,' she said, setting a hand on his shoulder, 'I do not want to move you too much but I need to see what I'm working with. Try to stay still. Hanguang-Jun, I will need your assistance.'

'Whatever you need,' said Lan Wangji, his voice hushed but strong as his grip tightened around Wei Wuxian's hand.

He risked a look up to him, seeing the thin set of his lips and the unmasked fear in his eyes. He wanted nothing more than to make a joke, to somehow reassure him that all would be well but the agony that continued to race through him unabated would not let anything pass his lips other than the occasional whimper of pain. He had always feared the power he had been forced into would be his downfall, or the sword of a cultivator lucky enough to pass his defences and do what half the world wanted to do. Instead he feared his use for those he was desperate to protect would instead be ended by poor workmanship and the deprivation that had haunted them all for far too long.

'Lan Zhan,' he said, pulling a little on his hand, glad when he crouched to be level with him on the bed they had laid him on, 'If this is bad, promise me you'll look after them. They need...'

'I promise,' came the swift reply, 'But you will be well. Whatever it takes, you will be well.'

'Lan Zhan...'

'Hanguang-Jun, I will need you to keep him steady and to move him as I instruct you to,' said Wen Qing, her tone brokering no argument, 'Wei Wuxian, try not to move unless I tell you to. Hanguang-Jun will bear your weight if needed. Just must keep still.'

He nodded, staying quiet as he heard the snap of stitches being cut through, the chill biting as the many layers he was forced to bundle up in were slowly parted by Wen Qing and her knife. A part of him wondered if he should be embarrassed, unsure how many people were present as more and more of him was exposed to allow Wen Qing to access his injuries, but he had laid before the woman before him in far worse a state, bathed her hands in his blood, trusted her as the best doctor he had ever known and he found himself doing the same as he hoped her skill would be enough once more. He was grateful for Lan Wangji's strong hands that turned him and supported him as Wen Qing prodded at the fiery patches of agony across his back and legs. Wei Wuxian wasn't sure over the sounds of his own cries but he could swear soft words of comfort were being whispered against his hair whenever Lan Wangji was forced to position him close enough to support him.

The warm spill of spiritual energy into him was comforting even though it was useless. He knew he should tell Lan Wangji to stop, to save his strength to protect those who would need him if Wei Wuxian's injuries put an end to his ability to, but it was too much of a comfort to give up as Wen Qing gently drew a blanket over him and set a slim, small hand on his shoulder once more.

'I cannot locate any breaks but I will know more in a few days, there is too much bruising,' she said, 'I need to make sure you do not move for a while. We'll stay close in case you need us.'

Wei Wuxian did not have time to question her as he felt the sharp sting of needles at the back of his neck, the pain at least receding but taking with it his ability to move little more than his fingers. The vulnerability made his blood freeze, certain were he in more control of his own body he would be trembling.

'There are cuts that need cleaning,' continued Wen Qing, 'A-Ning, I'll need clean bandages. Hanguang-Jun, could you fetch me some boiled water, I had the others put some on when we realised what was happening.'

Wei Wuxian tightened his fingers as best he could as Lan Wangji began to pull away, not wanting to lose the comfort of his presence. Another large, warm hand stroked his hair back from his face, as Lan Wangji crouched down beside him once more.

'I'll be back,' came the promise that Wei Wuxian knew would never be broken, the worry all too apparent in his friend's eyes as he squeezed his fingers gently before getting to his feet and soon moving out of sight.

He could not help the tear that escaped him, the helplessness and the fear that he had managed to hold at bay since the building's collapse almost as agonising at the pain the needles had chased away. A soft, small hand gently wiped it away as the blankets were straightened over him a little more.

'You're a fool,' said Wen Qing gently, 'Such a fool but thank you.'

'I was hardly going to leave them,' said Wei Wuxian, his voice rough with the tears he managed to keep at bay, 'Tell me truthfully, is it bad?'

'I won't know for a few days,' said Wen Qing, 'There is a lot of bruising that could be masking other things. I will tell you as soon as I am certain. Until then, we need to keep you still so we don't aggravate anything that might be there. Even if it is only bruising though, it will take a long time for you to heal properly, several weeks at least. Without your core...'

The shattering of ceramics on the stone floor cut off Wen Qing's words, Wei Wuxian struggling to move enough to bring the scene interview and almost wishing he had not as he saw Lan Wangji with the broken pot and soaked boots. It was his face though that drove the tears that had been until that moment held back to fall from Wei Wuxian's eyes, realising that the secret they had been so careful to keep had been all too easily revealed. Pale and shocked, eyes glistening with his own tears, Lan Wangji stared at them for far longer than Wei Wuxian was sure he had ever been regarded for before, lips working in an attempt to find words but failing.

'Your core?' he said finally, 'Without your core?'

'Lan Zhan,' said Wei Wuxian, cursing that he couldn't even move enough to sit up, 'I can explain.'

'How? How long?' said Lan Wangji, 'I...How long, Wei Ying?'

Wei Wuxian sighed, feeling Wen Qing's hand tighten around his shoulder, strength pouring into him from the gentle touch.

'Since Lotus Pier fell.'

Lan Wangji's face paled further, his eyes closing against whatever assailed him at his words before he opened them and spoke again. 'Wen Zhuliu?'

It would have been so easy for Wei Wuxian to answer in the affirmative, to give an easy out that would not be challenged. In a way, Wen Zhuliu was the reason for the loss of his once brilliant core but, as he opened his mouth to answer he found that he could not lie to the man trying not to tremble before him.

'In part,' he said, 'Jiang Cheng...it was Jiang Cheng whose core was crushed and I...'

The words refused to pass his lips but he saw Lan Wangji's eyes widen before they moved between him and Wen Qing, clever head making all the necessary connections in quick succession. His gaze lingered a beat or two on the woman, the renowned doctor, who had successfully completed an operation far more difficult than any others ever attempted, before he took a shuddering breath, hands clenching to fists at his sides.

'Why didn't you tell me?'

The words were hard, bitter but Wei Wuxian could hear the pain beneath them, the betrayal of having such a secret concealed from him.

'No one was ever meant to know,' said Wei Wuxian, 'We had to keep it secret.'

'From me?'

Wei Wuxian could only hope Wen Qing wasn't foolish enough to step between them and place herself in harms way as Lan Wangji took a step towards them both but then he turned swiftly, hands stilled clenched at his side and shoulders hunched and trembling as he hurried from the room he had shared with Wei Wuxian since he had arrived in the Burial Mounds.

'Lan Zhan!' called Wei Wuxian, 'Lan Zhan, please come back! Lan Zhan, please, let me explain. Get these needles out of me, I need to go to him.'

Wen Qing shook her head, 'Even if I did you wouldn't be able to reach him,' she said, 'You need rest and he needs time. He's had a shock.'

'What if...' began Wei Wuxian, the thought rolling in his gut, 'What if he tells someone? What if...'

'He won't,' said Wen Qing without hesitation, 'He won't put us at risk. He won't put you at risk. He just needs time and then he will come back and you can explain. I can be here if you need me to be. Just give him time.'

'Time,' said Wei Wuxian sadly, cursing all that had befallen them in the few short moments it seemed since they were comfortably side by side after a night's work well done.

He could only hope that time was all that was needed and that the secret he had kept out of necessity and fear would not chase away the person who had come to be dearest to him in the world.

Chapter 13: Promise

Chapter Text

The tears burned Lan Wangji's throat as he swallowed them back but several still broke free, scoring aching lines down his cheeks with fear, hurt, and sorrow all intermingled in them.

He had known something was wrong, long before Wei Wuxian had fled with the Wens to their home in the Burial Mounds. He had known moments after they had been reunited after so many months of yearning and longing. He had put it down to the strangeness of seeing his beloved friend so committed to the violence that he had visited upon Wen Zhuliu and Wen Chao – though he had not had it in him to condemn it, knowing all too well the pain that had been inflicted on Lotus Pier after living through it when they had taken the Cloud Recesses – but even then he had known there was more to the strangeness that refused to make sense.

He cursed his own foolishness, his own folly in not realising that a man who had been so proud of his sword work would not put aside his beloved blade without good reason. That wicked tricks and a strange dizi were masks for the inability beneath rather than any sort of conceit in the use of a new form of cultivation. He realised he had fallen prey to the words uttered around him, to the voices that said Wei Wuxian had ideas above his station and was using his strange tricks to set himself apart from others rather than accept his place as the son of a servant and make good in the world. He had allowed their voices and his own failure to be accepting of the parts of his friend's character to cloud what was right in front of him. The truth of it never concealed but played out right in front of him only he was too foolish to realise.

He swiped angrily at his own tears with a work rough hand as his own words repeated back to him, the accusations, the pressure, the condemnation he had spoken to a man who had given up everything and still found the strength to go on fighting for justice. If he had only dared to speak up more for Wei Wuxian when the world had condemned his name, if only he had gone to him peaceably and openly rather than always with the agenda of bringing him back to the right path which he could never travel again. Each word felt bitter on his tongue as he recalled them, knowing how much they must have fallen like a hammer blow onto someone already so badly damaged.

He did not realise he had a companion in his grief until a small, warm hand patted his gently before tiny fingers laced with his own.

'Zhan-gege. Xian-gege will be fine. Gugu is a doctor. She will help him. Don't be sad.'

Lan Wangji looked down at the young boy beside him, his small face serious as his fingers tightened in a gesture of comfort.

'Popo says, Xian-gege is the strongest man in the world and he can get through anything,' said A-Yuan, 'He keeps all the bad things away and saved us from the bad people who used to hit us with the stingy whips and made us sleep in the mud. He is so strong and so brave.'

Lan Wangji fought back the tightness in his throat before he spoke. 'He is very strong and very brave.'

'Then why are you sad?' said A-Yuan.

'I'm sad because I wasn't there to help him,' said Lan Wangji, knowing the words ran far deeper than the disaster they had just been through.

'You were there to get him out when the house fell,' said A-Yuan, 'You helped him. You held his hand. Popo always holds my hand to stop things hurting.'

'I don't know if I can stop Xian-gege from hurting.'

'Hmm, maybe not without Gugu helping if it is a big hurt,' said A-Yuan, 'But you can make him happy and that helps too. He isn't so sad now you are here. Maybe you can hold his hand to help the sad go. That could work too.'

'What if Xian-gege doesn't want to hold my hand any more?'

A-Yuan laughed softly. 'Silly. Xian-gege always wants to be with you. He even sits still after dinner to listen to you read and he never sits still after dinner.'

Lan Wangji couldn't help the small smile that teased at his lips at the child's words. 'He doesn't always sit still.'

'He does when Zhan-gege reads or plays,' said A-Yuan, 'He watches you with shiny eyes and does big sounds.'

'Big sounds?'

'Like...' began A-Yuan, finishing his sentence with a dramatised sigh, 'And shiny eyes. Popo says he has to stay in bed for a while to get better so you should go and sit with him and hold his hand. I think it would make you stop being sad. I'll make sure everyone is safe.'

Lan Wangji covered the small hand holding his with his free one, the soft skin unblemished by work or suffering, the purest innocence Wei Wuxian had sought to protect despite everything. 'You are very brave,' he said, 'And very wise.'

'I'm four now,' said A-Yuan, with a finality in his tone as he got to his feet and pulled Lan Wangji to standing, 'Will you go and see Xian-gege now?'

'I will,' said Lan Wangji, 'Can you look after everyone for me?'

A-Yuan nodded, 'I will keep a look out and tell you if I see anything bad.'

'Hopefully we will have a peaceful day,' said Lan Wangji, 'Can you help Popo as well? She hurt her ankle and will need you to take care of her.'

'I will look after her,' said A-Yuan, 'I'm good at looking after people.'

'You are,' said Lan Wangji, refusing to let his reluctance show as A-Yuan pulled him back towards the Demon Subdue Palace.

He saw the faces of the other villagers, certain his cheeks were still tear stained and flushed from his upset, knowing many of them had witnessed him hurrying from the cave where Wei Wuxian had been taken for treatment and heading in the wrong direction to be doing anything necessary to help. He hoped they had not misinterpreted it, wanting nothing more than to reassure them that their protector was still alive if injured. The words that had been coming easier in the time he had spent with them fled though, focused solely on those he needed to use to find out the absolute truth about Wei Wuxian's golden core.

He came to a halt at the entrance, a tiny, warm hand patting his gently.

'It's alright, Zhan-gege,' said A-Yuan, 'Just go and hold his hand.'

He longed to view the world through the innocent eyes beside him, A-Yuan calm and caring despite everything that had befallen his young life.

'Are you scared?'

Lan Wangji nodded, 'I'm scared of a great many things.'

'Popo says to stand up tall and think of the people you love when you're scared. They make you strong,' said A-Yuan, 'Perhaps if you think about how much you love Xian-gege, it will be easy to go inside.'

Innocence, unfiltered and forthright, A-Yuan's world far simpler than the one the adults surrounding him had built. The truth in his words sat heavy in Lan Wangji's gut. Love the only word that could encompass all he felt for Wei Wuxian and yet it was the most terrifying of emotions, keeping his feet rooted to the spot despite A-Yuan's words.

'I can come with you,' said A-Yuan, 'I have two hands so I can hold your hand and Xian-gege's.'

'I'm sure Xian-gege will be very pleased to have you take care of him,' said Lan Wangji, 'But we have to talk about things that you are too young to hear just yet. We will be alright and I will send for you when we have finished talking.'

A-Yuan gave him a long, considering look before he nodded, 'I will help Popo until you need me.'

'You're a good boy,' said Lan Wangji, giving in to the urge to fuss the tatty hair that would never stay in place no matter how it was styled, 'We might be some time but I promise you will see us both before bedtime.'

A-Yuan smiled brightly, 'Can we read a story from your books again?'

'If you are not too tired,' said Lan Wangji, loosening his hand from his grip before nudging him gently towards where the elders of the village tended to spend their days away from the winter chill that still hung on the mountain.

A-Yuan went without further persuasion, his step light and half dancing in a habit he had picked up from Wei Wuxian, no doubt singing one of the songs he was taught around their fires in the evening. He wondered if it was one of the Gusu songs Lan Wangji had spent several nights teaching them all, much to Wei Wuxian's delight.

He turned back to the darkened cave entrance, knowing beyond lay truths that would be painful not only for the fact that he was just learning them but also because his dearest friend had lived with the consequences of his actions for far too long. He shook off his fear, flexing the fingers on the hand that had held A-Yuan's, trying to find a semblance of the strength the child had in droves as his own seemed to flee him.

His feet felt like lead as he crossed the short distance to the cave mouth, hearing the low voices within but unable to make out the words. He could hear the roughness of Wei Wuxian's voice though, pain mixed with something that made the heavy thing in Lan Wangji even harder to carry as he rounded the corner into the room.

'Lan Zhan,' came the soft, shaky call, 'You came back.'

He nodded, words not forthcoming as he saw Wei Wuxian still laid on his side on the bed they shared, covered with blankets to keep out the chill. The water in the bowl beside him was dark, stained with blood and grime he was sure from where Wen Qing had tended the more superficial wounds. He knew it would take several days for them to understand the full extent of Wei Wuxian's injuries but he knew it could have been far worse, almost a shroud rather than a blanket covering the man before him.

'Do you want me to stay?' said Wen Qing, her words directed to Wei Wuxian, concern laced with steel in her tone.

'We'll be fine,' said Wei Wuxian.

Wen Qing's eyes were as sharp as the needles she wielded as she raised her gaze once more to Lan Wangji, 'I won't be far if I'm needed.'

Lan Wangji had faced much in his life that would terrify many but he knew there was little as fierce as the woman before him if he proved to be a threat to someone she cared for.

Her eyes didn't leave his as she crossed to him, her face softening only a little as she paused beside him. 'I have had to given him a draught for the pain, it will kick in before too long,' she said, 'Don't keep him talking longer than you must. He needs to rest.'

'I will make sure he rests.'

'Lan Wangji,' said Wen Qing, her voice quieting further, 'Please don't hurt him. This is painful enough for him as it is.'

'I have no wish to hurt him,' said Lan Wangji, seeing the lessening of the tension in her shoulders as she reached out a small hand to rest against his arm before she passed him and headed out of the cave.

'I would ask you if she was spilling all my secrets,' said Wei Wuxian, 'But I guess there is nothing left to spill. Will you come and sit down? You're too far away.'

The distance between where he stood and the bed would take no more than a couple of steps but to Lan Wangji it felt like the distance of a lifetime, the bridge between the innocence and comfort of his ignorance and the terrifying new world of knowledge that lay before him.

'Lan Zhan, please.'

The broken plea was enough to have him crossing the expanse without a thought, kneeling beside the bed, hands balling into fists against his thighs even as he wanted to reach out for the pained, tear stained face before him. He longed for the ease with words others possessed, wanting to somehow begin what needed to begin but unable to put a voice to it.

'I'm sorry.'

Wei Wuxian. The man whose incessant noise and words had so often driven him to distraction now breaking his heart with the sorrow in them.

'Don't say sorry,' said Lan Wangji, 'If anyone should be apologising...'

'No,' said Wei Wuxian before he smiled weakly, 'Lan Zhan, perhaps starting this with apologies isn't the best idea or we'll go in circles.'

'We will begin however you want to begin. I want to listen, to understand, to...'

He turned his face away as the tears he had barely been able to hold back from the moment Wen Qing's soft words had shattered all he knew of the world assailing him once more, his trembling breath more than giving him away even as he tried to hide them behind the fall of his hair.

'Lan Zhan,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Please don't cry. I don't think I can bear you crying on top of everything else. Don't be sad for me. I made my peace with it long ago. Just...will you give me your hand? I can't move enough and I'm scared you'll disappear. I can't do this without you, not any more.'

It took Lan Wangji less than a moment to wipe his eyes roughly with his sleeve before he turned back to his friend, seeing the answering glisten of tears on his own cheeks. His hand trembled as he reached for his friend's outstretched fingers, feeling the chill in them despite the blankets that covered him, the chill that had been present every time they had slept close at night and he had reasoned away with the ever present chill of the Burial Mounds.

'Wei Ying.'

A small, sad smile crossed his face as he let out a weak laugh, 'A right pair we make.'

'A pair though,' said Lan Wangji, 'I'm not leaving. I was never leaving I just needed time. Of all the things I expected to discover here, this was not amongst what I imagined.'

'I made rather the effort to ensure no one knew,' said Wei Wuxian, fingers tightening around Lan Wangji's as he spoke, 'I wanted to tell you so often but I was so afraid.'

The heavy thing in Lan Wangji's gut twisted. 'Afraid?' he said, 'Wei Ying, I would never reveal anything you told me in confidence.'

Wei Ying's smile was bitter and sad, a single tear breaking loose that Lan Wangji caught absently with the pad of his thumb, continuing the path to brush gently against the blossoming bruise on his jaw.

'I wasn't afraid of what you would tell people,' he said, 'I was afraid...afraid of how you would look at me. It was torture enough without seeing pity in your eyes.'

The words pierced like a sword, knowing that his friend had carried such an agonising secret through fear of how Lan Wangji would react. He wanted to reassure him that pity would never have been in his gaze, that the knowledge brought with it only heartbreak and sorrow, but he knew as well just how easily his actions since they had parted after battling Tulu Xuanwu would persuade Wei Wuxian that Lan Wangji, the lauded Hanguang-Jun, would pity a cultivator without a core. Lan Wangji who confronted him in moments of their reunion about the techniques he was using, who had tried time and time again to play music to calm him and cleanse him of resentful energy and refusing to take heed of his requests to refrain. Refusing to think deeper on his reasons rather than believing, as the rest of the world did, that he was arrogant and foolish and placing himself above those who followed to true and righteous path.

'It would not have been pity,' he said, hating the halting sound of the words, 'It would have been sorrow. To know and I...I'm sorry. I'm sorry that my actions meant you feared such a response. I'm sorry, Wei Ying. If I had known...'

'There was nothing you could have done. Nothing you could have changed.'

'I would have left with you that night. I would have come with you even if you didn't need me. I would have come here. All the time... all that time when the world was so cruel and you did what was right even though you lost everything. You had every right to turn your back on the world but you kept fighting even though it hurt you. You're the bravest person I know. To do everything you have done without a core, I can't even begin to fathom it.'

'Don't make it sound romantic, Lan Zhan,' said Wei Wuxian, his words bitter but Lan Wangji took no offence from the tone, certain he would not want to be told he was brave or clever or courageous for his actions when they were purely done because it was right to do so, 'I am the shell of what I once was, holding on by a thread to a world that hates me and just trying to keep breathing. Every day I wake up wondering if it would have been better if I had died when Wen Chao first had me thrown into this place.'

Lan Wangji shook his head, knowing there was a deeper story yet to be told but the fear and heartbreak that followed his friend's words took precedent, 'Don't say that, please,' he said, 'I lived for so many months in a world without you in it, hope dwindling daily that I would find you. I couldn't bear to face that again. I do not want to think of a world without you in it. Please don't ever wish for your own death.'

'Even if the world could be a better place?'

'How better? If you had not returned, I do not know how we would have fared at Sunshot. Even if we had been victorious, so many more lives would have been lost. And the Wens, our friends, A-Yuan, Popo, Wen Ning and Wen Qing, all of them would have been lost. There was no one else brave enough to do what you did.'

Wei Wuxian shook his head, 'You would have done, if you'd known the truth of it.'

'No I wouldn't,' said Lan Wangji, 'Not then. I was too afraid. I needed your example to find my courage to turn against the practices I had just turned a blind eye to before. You, with all you have suffered, have done more than any of us could ever do.'

Wei Wuxian laughed, 'You're making it romantic again and I told you that wasn't allowed,' he said, 'Don't make me a hero, Lan Zhan, I've have done awful things. I was reforged here in hate and resentment. I'm not a hero.'

'I will save further argument until you are well again but I will say now that I disagree with you entirely,' said Lan Wangji, the smile his friend wore settling the creature that clawed inside him.

He tried to force away the curiosity, not wanting to push for Wei Wuxian to fill in the gaps of the story as yet not fully told. He did not want to ask why and how and when, even as each question burned through him.

The fingers tightened once more around his own, Wei Wuxian's eyes heavy as he met them but sparkling with a little of the mischief that had captured Lan Wangji long before he had been brave enough to admit that he had been so.

'You're dying to ask questions,' said Wei Wuxian, 'People think you're so unreadable but it is as clear as day on your face. Ask. It's alright. You know the worst of it.'

Lan Wangji shook his head even as part of him screamed to ask every question trying to force its way passed his lips. 'Wen Qing said you needed to rest,' he said, 'You are tired and injured.'

'And if I want to tell you?' said Wei Wuxian, his gaze dropping to their joined hands, 'I have kept this from you for so long and it has hurt me to do so. It might not heal the hurts from today but telling you will certainly heal something. I want to tell you, so, if you don't have any questions, can I just tell you?'

'Only if you want to and you may stop whenever you need to,' said Lan Wangji, sitting up a little on his knees, covering their joined hands with his free one, 'Whatever you say though, I promise I will listen and I won't go anywhere. Whatever happens, I am by your side and that will never change. I am with you to the end, however it comes.'

Wei Wuxian's laugh was warm across their fingers but soft, not the usual playful sound but something from deeper, tinged with hope and affection that had begun to fill his words whenever they spoke, especially in the quiet of the night.

'Lan Zhan, dear Lan Zhan, those are dangerous words and I'm a fragile man.'

'Then we will address them when you are well again,' said Lan Wangji, 'And nothing you tell me now will alter how we do so. Do you need anything before we begin? You did not get to eat before the house fell.'

Wei Wuxian shook his head, 'I do not think I could tell this on a full stomach,' he said, 'Or as close to full as we know. Get something more comfortable to sit on, I will try to keep it as short as I can but you shouldn't be uncomfortable.'

He was reluctant to leave his friend's side even for a moment but he knew Wei Wuxian's stubbornness rivalled his own as he got to his feet, taking a moment to draw the blanket a little higher on Wei Wuxian's shoulder, unravelling several strands of hair that had caught before smoothing them down with the rest.

He headed to his own bed, wondering if he would need to return to it for at least a few days as Wei Wuxian recuperated but he pushed the thought aside, knowing the discomfort of not sleeping beside his friend would be a small price to pay to ensure he recovered quickly. He retrieved several cushions stacked atop it, more often used for A-Yuan when he came for his lessons, before setting them down beside Wei Wuxian's bed.

'Do you want me to place a barrier on the door?' he said, 'Then you can be assured no one else will hear what they were not meant to.'

'There are things A-Yuan should not over hear,' said Wei Wuxian, 'And I wouldn't want the others worrying if they hear that I am not all they think I am.'

Lan Wangji sighed, a simple barrier blocking any unwanted ears from hearing their conversation before he settled himself on the cushions beside the bed. 'You saved them from torture and death,' he said, 'I do not think they would ever think ill of you and you have proved to be more than capable of protecting them until now.'

'We have not yet been truly tried,' said Wei Wuxian, fingers reaching for Lan Wangji's once more, a little of the tension leaving him as Lan Wangji took hold of his hand, 'You know how Lotus Pier fell so I will not revisit that. I only wish I had had the strength and the will to do what Yu-Furen instructed and kept everyone away and safe. Once Shijie was safe, Jiang Cheng and I went back. Perhaps, if he had not seen the bodies of his parents, he would not...I'm sure he went back to try to retrieve them and that's when the Wen soldiers found him. I failed to keep him safe.'

'It is easy to say such things with hindsight,' said Lan Wangji, 'At the time, I am sure you did all you could.'

Wei Wuxian sighed, 'Whether I did or did not, the fact remains by the time I knew Jiang Cheng was missing, the damage had been done. Again, for his sake and my own, I will spare the details of what was done to him, what probably would have been done to me if I had had to face the Wen soldiers alone and without my sword. Help came though. Wen Ning was there, summoned to share in the celebrations by Wen Chao from where he was with his sister in Yiling. He drugged them, found Jiang Cheng, carried him out to me, then brought us all to Wen Qing in Yiling and gave us shelter. She treated what she could of his injuries but his core...though he could have lived, he would not be Jiang Cheng. Once he knew what had happened, it began to destroy him. I could not sit back...'

Lan Wangji tightened his grip as Wei Wuxian faltered, eyes bright with tears as he blinked them back, his features pale and haunted with the memory.

'It was killing him. I'm his Shi-xiong, I had to do all I could but it seemed hopeless,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I looked through every medical text Wen Qing had, tried to find a way to do something. Without his core, he and the sect would be over and I...'

'Wei Ying,' said Lan Wangji, kneeling up to lay a hand on his trembling shoulder, 'Wei Ying if this is hurting you to recount then stop. You do not owe me an explanation, now or ever.'

Wei Wuxian took a shuddering breath, eyes falling closed as he tugged Lan Wangji's hand a little closer to his chest. 'I found it,' he said, his voice far quieter, 'A procedure to transfer a core to another person. I barely had to think before the choice was made. I owed my life to Jiang-Zongzhu. He saved me from the streets when I was a boy, taught me and raised me. I could finally pay them back for that.'

Lan Wangji wanted to argue that such a sacrifice was a price no person should have to pay, regardless of the perceived debt but he knew it would do little, the hurt and the damage done so long before that his words would have little meaning other than to add to his friend's suffering.

'Wen Qing refused at first. Vehemently,' said Wei Wuxian with a sad laugh, 'You've not yet seen the worst of her. She's terrifying. I truly thought it would be another dead end, there was no one else who's skill I trusted enough. I didn't care for my life but I needed to know Jiang Cheng would be in safe hands. She only relented when she realised I might have a chance to live after it was done but Jiang Cheng was going to die if we did nothing, he could not take the pressure of it.'

'What was the chance?' said Lan Wangji, his blood running cold, 'What was the chance of you surviving?'

'Lan Zhan...'

'Please?' said Lan Wangji, 'I know it doesn't matter now but it matters to me.'

Wei Wuxian sighed, 'The specific odds for each part of the process weren't really discussed but the chance of the transfer being a success was fifty percent at best.'

Lan Wangji swallowed back the sudden bitterness in his throat, dropping his forehead to their joined hands and willing the tears not to fall. 'Wei Ying,' he said, any words after lost to the horror in his head, remembering all too well the fear he had known even as he should have been focused on recovering those of his own sect who had been scattered and injured by the Wens.

He remembered hearing the news the the Jiang Sect had fallen, Jiang Fengmian and Yu Ziyuan murdered along with so many of their disciples. He had feared the worst until he had heard that Jiang Yanli, Jiang Cheng and Wei Wuxian had been unaccounted for but then had come the worry of not knowing. He was not sure how many nights he lost sleep to the worry of where Wei Wuxian was in the world. Captured? Imprisoned? Dead but his body so broken by the fighting that none had recognised him? It had been a worry only compounded when Jiang Yanli and Jiang Cheng had returned to the world and Lan Wangji had joined with his friend's shidi in the hope of finding him alive and unharmed. Little had he known in that frantic search that the damage had already been done but by someone they called friend rather than foe.

'Hey,' came the soft voice above him, 'I made it through. I'm here. Don't think of it Lan Zhan. I was in the best possible hands.'

'Even so,' said Lan Wangji, not trusting himself enough to raise his head, 'You could have died.'

'So could you, a great many times since we first met,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I'm here and just about in one piece. Well, there's a bit missing here and there but most of it was intentional.'

Lan Wangji sighed, the fondness the rose suddenly in him almost painful as he pressed his cheek against the back of Wei Wuxian's hand before sitting back on his heels, 'Only you could make a joke like that.'

'I prefer it to the alternative,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Wen Qing doesn't appreciate my humour either and Wen Ning doesn't like to talk about it so, being as you're the only other person to know about it, you'll have to cope with the inappropriate humour.'

'Jiang Wanyin and Jiang-Guniang do not know?'

'No,' said Wei Wuxian, the word sharp but without anger, 'No and they can't ever know. Shijie...she just can't know and Jiang Cheng would never accept it. He wouldn't understand why I did it and I worry what he could do to himself if he knew. Lan Zhan, I promised I would never force you to conceal anything but on this I have to beg you to keep a secret for as long as you are able, not for my sake but for theirs. Jiang Cheng most because not only do I fear what he would do but also what others will think of him. Jiang-Zongzhu with the core of the Yiling Laozu.'

'I promise I will never reveal it,' said Lan Wangji, 'For as long as I live, you can be assured of my silence.'

Wei Wuxian smiled, 'Then my secret is safe,' he said, 'Though I am sorry to burden you with it.'

'I am relieved that I can carry it with you,' said Lan Wangji as Wei Wuxian's eyes grew a little heavier, 'You should rest.'

'No,' he replied with a shake of his head, 'Though you will forgive me if the rest is brief not because I am tired but because I do not like to recall it, even if it is always in my head.'

'You do not have to say anything.'

'I know,' said Wei Wuxian, 'But now you know half of it, you should know all of it otherwise I know you will worry and ponder and you need your rest too, even if you haven't had a house fall on you.'

Lan Wangji sat up a little more, pressing their joined hands to his chest, hoping the heartbeat beneath his robes would offer some grounding and a little more of the unspoken promise that went alongside with all that he had spoken since he had returned to the cave.

Wei Wuxian smiled softly though his gaze drifted away as he began to speak, his body tensing as the weight of the past settled over him.

'We had tricked Jiang Cheng, told him Baoshan Sanren was going to heal him. I'll tell you more of that another time. Wen Qing drugged him for the procedure and he knew nothing of what happened, only that he woke with a healthy core once more. We had agreed to meet in Yiling once he had been healed and it was when I was waiting that I ran into Wen Chao and Wen Zhuliu. They wanted to kill me, nearly did there and then but that woman, that vile woman...'

'Wei Ying?'

'I faced death so many times before,' he continued, 'I always said I wouldn't be scared. Lan Zhan, I was so scared.'

'You don't need to speak.'

'The told me they would throw me in the Burial Mounds,' said Wei Wuxian, ignoring his words, 'You don't grow up, especially in Yunmeng, and not hear the horrors associated with this place. I don't know what happened, not in a way I can put into words. I don't know if I died. Sometimes I think I did. Sometimes I don't feel like an entire person any more. Part of me isn't a person any more. Sorry, that doesn't make sense.'

'It doesn't matter,' said Lan Wangji, 'Don't force yourself to find the words.'

'When I...when I can remember being me again,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I knew things, understood things differently and I knew how I could use it. Do you remember the sword I found when we fought Tulu Xuanwu? It's Yin Iron. Xue Yang's piece wasn't the only one missing. I forged the Yin Hu Fu with its metal but it's not the same as the pieces Wen Ruohan had. It is...I don't mean for it to be used for evil but it...it was made here and there is anger and resentment in the very air. It is not wholly good.'

'Maybe not but you have done good with it,' said Lan Wangji, 'You have not been cruel.'

Wei Wuxian shuddered, shifting as best he could when still paralysed by Wen Qing's needles to press closer to Lan Wangji's side. 'I tortured Wen Chao and that woman of his. Tortured them because I wanted them to suffer. A decent man would have killed them outright,' he said, 'I wanted revenge and the Yin Hu Fu... I am scared that one day you will be right, that I will lose control. I'm always so scared, fighting it all the time. Whenever I use it, I have to fight it.'

'And you always win,' said Lan Wangji, stroking a hand over his hair, glad when he pushed into it instead of flinching away, 'And I am here now.'

'You have enough to worry about without adding me to the pile,' said Wei Wuxian.

Lan Wangji couldn't help the small smile that came to his lips, 'You forget that I have always worried about you, more than I have ever been able to put into words,' he said, 'Knowing eases it a little. I am here if you need me, however you need me, but now you need to rest. If there is more to share then we have time later, I know enough to fill in the gaps a little myself.'

'Just leave off that romantic head of yours and be rational,' said Wei Wuxian, freeing his hand to stifle a yawn as best he could, 'Wen Qing gave me one of her vile poisons.'

'Medicine,' said Lan Wangji, continuing to stroke his hair gently as it seemed to soothe Wei Wuxian towards the pull of sleep, 'She wants you to get well.'

'Lan Zhan, if I...'

'Rest. You need to allow the bruising to fade and then we will know more. Rest Wei Ying.'

He was glad as the other man finally allowed his eyes to fall closed, his breathing becoming deeper as he did so. His fingers continued to move through his hair, the touch soothing him as much as it did Wei Wuxian, reminding him that he was alive and with him despite all that could have come to pass. He knew he would mourn the sacrifice Wei Wuxian had made, would be angry that Jiang Cheng now carried Wei Wuxian's brilliant core though he would hide the sentiment from Wei Wuxian as best he could. There would come a time to cry and question but for the moment he found more pressing matters to focus on as he knelt up a little taller to press a kiss to Wei Wuxian's forehead.

'Lan Zhan,' came the sleepy mumble, 'Don't go far, please. Stay with me?'

'I'll stay right here,' said Lan Wangji, settling himself down comfortably once more.

'Sing?'

The word had barely left Wei Wuxian's lips when sleep he had been fighting finally claimed him but Lan Wangji knew he would oblige him all the same, the Demon Subdue Palace soon filled with the low, soft sound of his voice and the song he had once sung what felt like a lifetime before. It stood as a promise before the whole world that he had found both place and purpose at the side of the person he had come to love best.

Chapter 14: Wings

Notes:

Thank you all so much for your patience in waiting for this chapter. I hope you like it after waiting for so long xx

Chapter Text

'I am glad I know, though it will take me a time to understand it. I cannot imagine making such a sacrifice.'

'You are someone's younger brother. If I were having this conversation with Zewu-Jun, he would understand. There is nothing a person wouldn't do for a younger sibling they love, believe me.'

Wei Wuxian pushed through the fog in his head as he heard his friends' voices, Lan Wangji's deep, soothing tones and Wen Qing's lighter ones bringing him peacefully from the heavy slumber Wen Qing's medicines had induced.

'I don't know that Xiongzhang...'

Wen Qing's laugh was soft and short as Lan Wangji trailed off. 'He would, I know he would if he thought it was the only option,' she said, 'Don't try to understand it, just know that it is what it is.'

'And that you need to be a little mad to begin with,' said Wei Wuxian, his voice rough as he blinked in the the dim light of the room.

'Wei Wuxian,' said Wen Qing, her voice playfully sharp, 'How long have you been awake and listening to our conversation?'

'Long enough to know you should talk about something more interesting,' he said, groaning as he tried to move and found his body still immobilised by the needles, 'I don't like this. Let me move.'

'The pain will be worse if I remove them and you mustn't move too much,' said Wen Qing, 'The bruising is still coming out. It will be morning before I can make an assessment based on that, even longer if there is still swelling.'

'Just let me move a little,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I want to leap out of my own skin right now.'

Wen Qing sighed, 'Only for a few moments and we'll see if we can move you into a more comfortable position. Lan Wangji, can you support him again? I don't want any sudden movements.'

Wei Wuxian smiled as Wen Qing moved aside, bringing Lan Wangji into view. It was a strange comfort that he still wore the same dusty robes that had been marred by the detritus of the fallen house, showing Wei Wuxian that he had not even moved far enough from him to change but it also brought a melancholy that he had not taken any time to care for himself. His face was pale, eyes darkened by fatigue that hung heavy on all of them, but there was an added depth that Wei Wuxian knew was rooted in the conversation they had shared. The sorrow was etched into Lan Wangji's face even as anyone who did not know him well would see only one of the flawless Twin Jades despite his workaday robes.

'You look tired, Lan Zhan,' he said, pressing as best he could into the hand that came to his shoulder.

'I'm fine,' he replied, 'I will rest later.'

'Keep him still for me,' said Wen Qing, her fingers probing gently against the place on the back of Wei Wuxian's neck where she had placed the needles, 'Wei Wuxian, you must promise not to move too much. The pain will come back quickly so be warned.'

'Pain and I are old friends,' he said, feeling the hand on his shoulder tighten before Lan Wangji's grip relaxed again, moving to keep him upright as the first needle slipped free.

The torrent of pain Wei Wuxian was expecting did not come but neither did the movement he had hoped for, instead a tingling ache settled into his arms and legs, reminders of when he had sat too long in the Library Pavilion in the Cloud Recesses so long before, copying line after line of the sect rules as he tried to fathom out the cold beauty of his companion and keeper.

The next needle was not so kind and he barely kept back the shout of pain, every injury his body bore feeling as fresh as the moment he had received it, fire licking at his back and legs as he fought the urge to try and flinch away from it. Lan Wangji's hands helped to still him, the soft words of comfort giving Wei Wuxian something to keep hold of as he breathed through the agony.

'Last one,' said Wen Qing, her voice gentle, 'Then we'll get you into a more comfortable position.'

'Nothing will ever be comfortable again,' he said, 'I think I preferred it when I had half a building on top of me.'

'I did not,' came Lan Wangji's voice beside his ear, 'Try to be still.'

The hands on him tightened further as the pain roared through him with the removal of the last needle, Wen Qing's hands steadying him also as his body convulsed.

'Put them back! Put them back! Wen Qing, please!'

Pride was forgotten, any hope of holding on to the illusion of someone brave enough to face any pain fleeing alongside the cry that left him with the tears he could not hold back. It had been witnessed by Wen Qing before, screaming and begging for her to show him mercy as she took her knife to the most fundamental part of him for what felt like days on end, but Lan Wangji had only seen it in short moments before the needles had stilled him. He felt no shame in it though, knowing his pain would never be held against him, even more so as Lan Wangji gently shifted so he could crouch before him, his cheek pressed gently to Wei Wuxian's as he spoke soft, gentling words into his ear.

'I'm here. I have you,' said the soft, steady voice beside him, 'You're strong enough. You're so strong my Wei Ying. Just a little longer and then you can rest, I promise.'

'Lan Zhan...'

'I'm here,' Lan Wangji repeated, 'I'm here and not going anywhere.'

'I'm sorry, so sorry,' said Wei Wuxian, unsure what he was apologising for. He knew there was so much it could relate to, so many wrongs he wanted to make right, but the warmth of Lan Wangji pressed so close to him let him know he did not have to, at least where he was concerned.

He pulled his focus away from the pain as best he could and to the warm skin where it touched his own, the gentle flutter of breath against his ear, the comforting words and the promise beneath them that, however ill the world went, there would be someone beside him.

He bit back another cry as Wen Qing's fingers probed at his back, bringing fire in their wake.

'A moment more,' she said, 'I can set the needles lower, at least let you move your arms a little. Lan Wangji, I'll need you to lift him a little.'

'Tell me how,' said Lan Wangji, sitting up and robbing Wei Wuxian of the warmth of his skin.

Wei Wuxian let his body relax as best he could as Wen Qing directed Lan Wangji as to how to move him. He was breathing harder than he had after any battle when the sharp sting of Wen Qing's needles chased away the pain once more, Lan Wangji's hands moving from where they were supporting him, one to take hold of his hand as the other brushed gently at the tear tracks on his cheeks.

'Rest,' he said as Wen Qing righted the blankets over him once more.

'You'll have a little more movement,' said Wen Qing, 'But I need you to be careful, even though I don't think I will find any breaks. With rest and time, you'll be well.'

Wei Wuxian nodded, 'I'll be careful,' he said, 'I don't want to be a burden for any longer than I have to be.'

'You are not a burden,' said Lan Wangji, 'You were injured saving people. However long it takes for you to heal, we will be on hand to help you.'

'The others need you more than me,' said Wei Wuxian, 'There's a to rebuild. They'll need your strength.'

'I will be on hand where I am needed, when I am needed,' said Lan Wangji, 'The decision has already been taken to not attempt anything until tomorrow at the earliest as the light has not been good and some of the structure has continued to collapse.'

'Was anyone else hurt?' said Wei Wuxian, 'Popo said her leg hurt her. I didn't think to ask before.'

'You had bigger things to worry about,' said Wen Qing, 'But she is fine. A sprain that will heal with a little rest. A-Yuan is unharmed, if a little quieter than usual. If you feel you can cope with a visitor, I know he would be pleased to see you.'

Wei Wuxian smiled, 'So long as you do not think it will scare him,' he said, 'We'll have to remind him that he has plenty of people on hand to protect him, even if I'm laid up for a while.'

'You should not rush your recovery,' said Lan Wangji, 'We will manage.'

'I don't doubt it. Just make sure Chenqing is close to me. Now I can move my arms, I can manage to play if the need is there.'

Wen Qing sighed, 'I would prefer you didn't but given the nature of the mountain, it is a necessity I will allow,' she said, 'Will you let Lan Wangji manage what he can before you get involved though?'

'I will,' he said, 'So long as he promises to rest too.'

'I am a little more adept at self preservation,' said Lan Wangji, 'If you are ready, I will go and bring A-Yuan to you. I think it would be better if it is before he has his supper, then he will not pester to stay as long.'

'Are we speaking of the same child?' said Wei Wuxian, reluctantly releasing Lan Wangji's hand as he rose to his feet, 'Don't be too long.'

A small smile was the response before he headed for the exit, the dim light of the rapidly falling night outside quickly swallowing him.

'He has been very worried about you?' said Wen Qing, claiming Lan Wangji's spot at Wei Wuxian's side, 'He told me you had talked and that you told him what happened. How are you feeling?'

Wei Wuxian let his hand drift a little towards the scar that sat low on his abdomen, not able to reach it with the needles limiting his movements but he felt the pull of it all the same. For so long it had sat there as a reminder of the secret he was keeping from the world, from those who thought him something malevolent when in fact he was something pitiable. He was never sure if the ache he often felt was real or something in his mind when he thought of those he was deceiving, the people he loved that he lied to and hid from even in his most desperate hours. It had been a heavy, gnawing thing but, as he prodded once more at the aching part of him, it felt quieter and lighter, at least one other person now sharing the burden he carried and not running from it or pitying him for his fate.

'I'm glad he knows,' he said finally, 'He has deserved to know for so long but I could never find the words.'

'I think he is glad to know,' said Wen Qing, 'He had a few questions that he felt able to ask me and I answered them. I know he has more but I imagine he is waiting until you are well enough to answer, so much of this is beyond what I can understand and he was very insistent that I did not reveal anything to him that you would not want shared. He cares about you a great deal. I always thought him such a cold, distant person but...'

'He's so far from that,' said Wei Wuxian, 'So far. I feel like we can really do this now he is here.'

'Let's hope so,' said Wen Qing, 'Even if he can help to save some of them.'

Wei Wuxian held out his hand to her, dwarfing her small fingers as she took it, 'We all came here together, we're all leaving together if I have anything to do with it,' he said, 'I don't know how but I'll do all I can to make it happen.'

'Just focus on recovering first,' said Wen Qing, 'I'm getting bored of patching you up because you're being foolishly heroic. One day you'll be the selfish man those fools think you are and save me from having to clean up after you.'

'Not when it's our family who need me not to be selfish.'

Wen Qing's smile was small but bright, her eyes shining with the soft sheen of tears as she shook her head. 'Being all sweet isn't going to make me go easier on you with the recovery plans,' she said, 'I'm going to be so strict with you.'

'Wen Qing!' he whined, glad when it chased away the tears from her eyes, 'Be kind! Haven't I suffered enough? I want Lan Zhan back, he was gentle with me.'

Wen Qing's smile turned as sharp as her needles as she regarded him, 'I think I could be as gentle with you as I pleased and you would still think me cruel in comparison,' she said, 'I think your fondness for him is only surpassed by his fondness for you. I think we will have to pry him from your side over the next few days if only to get him to rest.'

Wei Wuxian was glad for the low light of the room but he knew the colour that leapt to his cheeks was seen by the woman before him all the same as her smile widened before it grew gentle.

'We would be very happy for you,' she said, 'You have been so much happier and steadier since he arrived. You deserve some happiness, Wei Wuxian.'

'I preferred it when you were being cruel to me,' he said, 'Don't be gentle with me, I'll cry and I've done enough of that since this morning. I must look a hundred years old.'

'I don't think it would matter to Lan Wangji if you did,' said Wen Qing with a soft laugh, tapping her knuckles against his cheek, 'I don't think I've ever seen you flustered before. It's amusing.'

'Away, vile and cruel woman. I'm the Yiling Laozu or have you all forgotten that. I will need to stir up some terror and then you won't speak so freely around me,' said Wei Wuxian, a smile making a lie of his words at Wen Qing laughed, unsure if he had ever heard such a sound from her.

Though they often used the word family and more familiar names with one another whenever A-Yuan was nearby, he had always found himself an outsider looking in, someone there not to be a part of them but instead to protect and watch over. There had been several times when the woman before him had tried to persuade him to return to the world they had left, to regain his place and leave them to whatever fate was to be theirs on the mountain, but he had always stayed even as the pull of those he had left behind had been strong. It had been the pull of memory though, of hazy days in Yunmeng when they had been young and carefree, Jiang Cheng and Jiang Yanli focused on games and lessons, not the wider cares of the world.

It was a world he could not have gone back to even before he had sacrificed his core for his brother, a world ended as their childhood had ended. Jiang Yanli was always going to leave, a young woman of her standing destined to marry whether it be for love or political gain. He was glad at least that the marriage to Jin Zixuan, that had begun as the latter, had turned to the former, certain she was happy even if her choice of husband still left Wei Wuxian a little bitter though he too was certain he could be the dearest of friend's with whichever man had won her heart and still not think him worthy of her.

Jiang Cheng, though he was forced there before his time, had been destined to be a sect leader, his life similarly departed from Wei Wuxian who had only ever been expected to follow and to serve. He knew, despite the bravado of his youth, that he would have been happy to do so. To stand at the side of his first friend in the world and see their people prosper. Fate had had another path in store for him though and he found, though so many regrets remained, that it was one he was finding it easier and easier to walk with the people at his side.

'Thank you,' he said, seeing the confusion come to Wen Qing's face.

'For what?'

'Laughing at me. Teasing me. Not being afraid of me,' he said, 'For letting me be...'

The words refused to come to him, fearing that if he spoke of having a place in the family they had built that it would be rejected, that he would be reminded that he bore a different name and different blood, that he would never be a true part of the community they were building.

'A-Yuan decided long ago and he is always worth listening too,' said Wen Qing, her quick mind following all Wei Wuxian could not say, 'Anyone who chooses to suffer and starve and fight beside us is as much a part of us as anyone bearing our name. Sometimes more so than some who once did.'

Any further conversation was cut short by A-Yuan's excitable voice that was calmed by Lan Wangji's quieter tones. Wei Wuxian was glad of it, not wanting to present the child with tears even if they were from something other than sadness, his injury likely to worry him enough without adding any further confusion and upset to the day.

'You mustn't climb on Xian-gege or pull on his hands too much if I let you down,' said Lan Wangji, rounding the corner with A-Yuan held tightly in his arms, 'No rushing or shouting. Xian-gege needs quiet to recover.'

'I'll be good,' said A-Yuan, wriggling only a little as Lan Wangji set him on his feet, hand poised to grab the collar of his robes if the child decided to break his word and bolt.

Instead, A-Yuan took slow measured steps towards the bed, his pace almost comical but Wei Wuxian bit back a laugh, knowing it was love and caring that had the boy putting aside his usual exuberance. Wen Qing stepped aside to make room for him as he finally reached Wei Wuxian, tiny hands reaching for him tentatively before Wei Wuxian took hold of one of them, pressing into the other as it came to rest on his cheek.

'Zhan-gege says your bad hurt will go away if you are quiet and still,' said A-Yuan.

'That is what we hope,' said Wei Wuxian, 'You will need to come and read to me often so I do not get bored and think to make mischief.'

A-Yuan smiled, looking back over his shoulder to Lan Wangji, 'Can I do my lessons here, Zhan-gege? I can read to Xian-gege then and he will be good and still.'

Lan Wangji nodded, 'If it gets him to rest, we can do all our lessons here until he is well,' he said, 'When he can sit up, he will be able to practice his calligraphy with you.'

Wen Qing's laughter was quickly stifled with her hand, Wei Wuxian glaring playfully at his friend as Lan Wangji's eyes flashed with mischief even if his face betrayed little of it.

'Do you need to practice more?' said A-Yuan, 'I will help you.'

Wei Wuxian smiled, 'I'm sure I will need a lot of help,' he said, 'Zhan-gege seems to think so.'

A-Yuan beamed before he stepped closer to Wei Wuxian to whisper, 'Zhan-gege is very clever,' he said, 'He has lots of books. Some of the books are too big for me though and some of them have music written in them and when you make the same noise on the qin it makes a song.'

'Very clever indeed,' said Wei Wuxian before he saw the faint sheen of worry cross the child's face, 'What is wrong?'

'Do you hurt a lot?' said A-Yuan, his lower lip trembling.

'It hurts,' said Wei Wuxian, honestly, 'But Qing-gugu is a brilliant doctor and she is making sure it doesn't hurt so much. She will help me get better.'

'Did Zhan-gege come and hold your hand?' said A-Yuan, 'I told him that holding your hand would make you feel better. He was very sad that you were hurt.'

Wei Wuxian smiled, wanting nothing more than to hold out his hand to his friend once more as he looked up and caught the soft, knowing gaze directed at him before he turned his attention back to the child.

'He did hold my hand and it helped a lot,' he said, 'Just like you holding my hand is helping too.'

'That's because I love you like Zhan-gege loves you,' said A-Yuan, 'We will always be here to hold your hand, won't we Zhan-gege?'

'We will,' said Lan Wangji, 'But for now, you will need to return to Popo, it is time for your supper and you need to help her while she rests her leg.'

A-Yuan looked like he wanted to argue before he nodded, leaning forward to press a kiss to Wei Wuxian's cheek.

'I love you,' he said softly, 'Be better soon. Can I see you tomorrow?'

'You will come for your lessons,' said Wei Wuxian, hating that he could not embrace him in return, 'Be a good boy for Popo. A-Yuan?'

'Yes,' said the boy, still pressed pressed as close as he could be whilst being as gentle as possible.

'I love you as well,' said Wei Wuxian, the sudden gasp and soft giggle all he needed before A-Yuan stepped away to take Wen Qing's hand.

'I'll take him back to Popo,' she said, 'I'll have someone bring supper to you both and I'll come back later with something to help you sleep, Wei Wuxian.'

'Try to make it taste a little better than last time,' he replied, the smile he received in return sharp and comforting, a familiar tease whenever he protested against her treatments.

A-Yuan's only protest at leaving were his slower steps, pausing only to hug Lan Wangji, pulling him down by the sleeve of his robes and whispering something in his ear before he continued to follow Wen Qing from the cave.

'I am to make sure you get lots of rest and that you take your medicine nicely,' said Lan Wangji once the child was out of earshot, 'Though I am sure Wen-Guniang will ensure it without my assistance.'

'She's far more scary than you could ever be,' said Wei Wuxian, 'You can go and eat with the others if you want to.'

'I do not want to,' said Lan Wangji, carefully setting aside the cushions that had been positioned on the floor beside the bed.

Wei Wuxian was glad his new position on the bed meant he could see the majority of the room, watching as Lan Wangji went to the makeshift bed he had used before the worst of the cold had set in and he had instead become Wei Wuxian's nightly companion. He quickly cleared it of the items that had been stored on top of it, before picking it up with ease, carrying it across the room and setting it beside Wei Wuxian's bed.

'What are you doing?' he said, the answer obvious but he could not keep the question back.

'I cannot sleep beside you,' said Lan Wangji, 'If I move in my sleep too much I could injure you further but I want to be nearby to you in case you need me and I...'

'Lan Zhan?' said Wei Wuxian as he shifted the already precisely place bed.

Pale, nervous eyes met his, a hesitance that spoke of all that had been unspoken between them in their gaze.

'I do not think I will be able to rest if I am far from you,' said Lan Wangji, 'I have grown used to the sound of your breathing.'

'I don't want you to be too far off either,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I guess the nightmares make more sense to you now.'

'A great many things make a lot more sense now,' said Lan Wangji, moving from the bed and back again carrying a pile of blankets, most of the other necessities for a night already stored beside the bed they usually shared, 'It makes decisions easier.'

Wei Wuxian picked at the almost threadbare blanket beneath him, 'Are you leaving us now you know?' he said, meaning to tease but the words fell horribly flat.

'Quite the contrary,' said Lan Wangji, neatly making up the bed, 'But I made our defensive plans under the assumption that, despite your preferred use of Chenqing, you would take up the sword again if necessary. Now I know that option is more limited, I will amend the strategy. Wen-Guniang and I were discussing such whilst you were sleeping. Though there are few of us who can mount a defence, it will be good to keep to the strengths we have if it comes to a fight.'

'I hope it never does come to one but I fear it will,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I do not like the thought of you standing against who might come. There's still a place for you out in the world.'

'That maybe but I do not want for it,' said Lan Wangji, sitting down on the bed, 'I told you this morning that I was happy here.'

'And I believe I called you strange for it,' said Wei Wuxian, giving in to the urge to capture several long strands of Lan Wangji's hair and feathering them between his fingers, 'Before I said that I was happy too. Though I wish you had not found out the way you did, I am glad that you know. It never felt right keeping it from you.'

'But I understand why you needed to,' said Lan Wangji, 'All it changes though is my understanding. I promised to stay beside you and that still stands. I promised A-Yuan that I would always hold your hand.'

Wei Wuxian laughed, 'Well a promise to A-Yuan is binding,' he said, turning his gaze to the fine black hair between his fingers as a warmth settled in Lan Wangji's eyes that was too difficult for him to focus on with the butterflies it sent tumbling through his stomach.

'I make that promise to you as well,' said Lan Wangji, 'Wherever this path we're on goes.'

Wei Wuxian sighed, daring to meet his eyes once more, 'Lan Zhan, my dear Lan Zhan, won't you think for a moment,' he said, the cold damp of the room pressing into his already aching bones and reminding him of the place he inhabited, 'You're the one who can leave. You can go back out into the world and have such a life, meet so many people. Better people than me. Would you really throw that away and not regret it one day?'

'I would throw it away in a heartbeat and never know a day's regret,' said Lan Wangji, 'I have nearly lost you more times than I can count, several more that I have learned of just today, and to imagine a life without you is abhorrent. I have done nothing but think since the day I was given the chance to come here. I know in my deepest heart that I never came because they wanted me to. I came because I wanted to be with you and fight this battle at your side.'

Wei Wuxian begged his heart to cease its racing in his chest but to no avail, certain the sound of it could be heard in the cavern that surrounded them. Lan Wangji remained quiet, his face soft and open, emotion so clear to Wei Wuxian's experienced gaze but with a contentment to wait. He was sure he could read in it a certainty of both their feelings even if he could not quite put an adequate name to his own.

He almost missed the subtle movement of Lan Wangji's head, so distracted by the sweet aching turmoil rushing through him and the soft silk of the hair he still feathered absently through his fingers. It was when he felt real silk though that he paused, turning his attention to see the fine ribbon that for once was not so tightly bound within Lan Wangji's hair held gently between his own fingers. He went to release the sacred marker but Lan Wangji's large, warm hand closed around his, keeping the ribbon held in Wei Wuxian's fingers.

'Lan Zhan,' he said, eloquence and bravado failing him when he needed it the most, 'You have one last chance to say you do not want to waste your life on me or I'll consider this binding.'

'A life with you is not one wasted,' said Lan Wangji, 'And, when we are able, we will make this truly binding even if a promise between us is more than sufficient.'

Wei Wuxian wasn't sure what the sound was that left him; a rush of air holding a laugh and a sob and all the love that had been building since he had first laid eyes on the one person he had been destined for in the world. 'You were once such a shy thing,' he said, 'And now so bold and me unable to do anything about it. It's a wretched beginning to this if I cannot even hold you properly.'

Lan Wangji smiled, 'We have time,' he said, touching the fingers of his hand not occupied with Wei Wuxian's to his cheek.

He pushed up into the touch, certain Lan Wangji could feel the heat of the blush that rushed him as the soft pad of his thumb traced over his lips. There was a question in the touch, unspoken as so many of the important moments that passed between them were even since Lan Wangji had opened up a little more to him and a small world they were building around them. Wei Wuxian's response was equally silent, the smallest of nods, but he knew it was heard as loudly as any shout as the soft smile on Lan Wangji's face became blinding even though Wei Wuxian was certain nothing in his expression truly changed.

He barely had a moment to think on it as the world faded to the shadow of Lan Wangji's hair, the warm, familiar scent of him that was soon followed by the soft press of lips against his own.

He had read so many stories and epic poems of love and longed for the day he would know the same swooping, soaring feeling that came with such a touch. As the sensation failed to follow what the books had spoken, he knew it was not due to want of feeling but instead he realised he had being flying on those sacred wings for so long; that he had already been so high above the clouds that the sweet kiss of his beloved did not sweep him away but instead comforted him like the warm eddy of a breeze upon a summer's day.

'Lan Zhan,' he spoke softly in the scant space between them as they parted, 'My Lan Zhan.'

'Yours,' said Lan Wangji, 'Always.'

They neither of them could say when supper had been laid at the door or who had lit a few extra candles for them beside it, lost instead in the promises that lay in the shadows between them, promises that only strengthened those already made to the people they had vowed to protect together.

Chapter 15: Friends and Allies

Notes:

Thank you again for all your patience with this chapter. I suffered an injury the other day that made typing really difficult but I'm glad I finally got something out to you. Enjoy x

Chapter Text

Even over three months in the Burial Mounds had done little to extinguish the habit of a lifetime as Lan Wangji's eyes opened without fail even as five in the morning found the rest of his companions still asleep. Despite the habit of waking not changing, his habit of rising certainly had especially in the weeks that had followed Wei Wuxian's injury. Where before he would have risen immediately and prepared for the day with exercise and meditation, he now spent however long he wished enjoying the solid presence of the body beside him in the bed and the even, soft sound of Wei Wuxian's breath.

It had been a relief when Wen Qing had finally been able to ascertain that the injuries and the pain were caused by bruising alone, rest and then a period of mild exercise enough to allow Wei Wuxian to recover himself. It did not make him an easier patient though, restless and complaining when the worst of the worry and fear had passed and he was confined to bed with little to entertain him. Though Lan Wangji hoped he would have had a little more patience if he had been in the same predicament, he still sympathised, knowing that Wei Wuxian had never been one to be idle despite what some had said about him. It was a relief at least when he was able to move and sit up a little more, pouring thoughts and ideas onto the page with the precision of a spider with ink on all eight of its legs. It did come with its own rewards for Lan Wangji though, Wei Wuxian easily tiring when sitting and Lan Wangji had been more than happy to be a necessary prop for him, certain that the aches and fatigue had passed many days before Wei Wuxian admitted he no longer needed the help.

Lan Wangji smiled to himself at just how often he would comment on how Wei Wuxian looked tired even early in the day, watch the playful slump of him as he bemoaned the discomfort of his back before happily situating himself against Lan Wangji for several hours when they could spare it. It was an outward demonstration of their changing relationship but one that allowed them to carry on without any formal announcements to the rest of the village, though it seemed to be common knowledge all the same. It was not for any gossip or secrets whispered as the villagers worked, more the relationship they had all suspected since before Lan Wangji had arrived finally being acknowledged by the two main players. He wondered how often they called both he and Wei Wuxian fools for not having realised sooner just what they meant to one another.

'Lan Zhan,' came the sleepy mumble against his neck, Wei Wuxian's arms tightening a little around his waist, 'What time..?'

'Early still,' he said, pressing a kiss to the warm crown of his head, 'Sleep.'

'Mmm,' murmured Wei Wuxian, 'Delivery today.'

'Later. They won't be here until mid-morning at the earliest,' said Lan Wangji, his mind turning to the storeroom that he had begun rearranging the day before in the hope of needing the space for their own crops as spring slowly came to them, 'Do you want me to stay?'

Wei Wuxian snuffled, waking a little more and raising his head, his face lined from where he had slept against the folds of Lan Wangji's clothes, 'Where are you going?'

'To tidy the storeroom,' said Lan Wangji, 'I started yesterday but lost the light earlier than intended when the rain came.'

'It's always raining,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Our lives are half mud, Lan Zhan. I don't think A-Yuan is the only radish.'

Lan Wangji shook his head with a small laugh, 'Go back to sleep, you're making even less sense than usual,' he said, 'I'll bring you breakfast when I'm done. A-Yuan will be along not long after for his lesson.'

'Our little radish,' murmured Wei Wuxian, his head falling heavily back onto Lan Wangji's chest, 'Stay a while. You're warm and comfortable. '

Lan Wangji smiled, carding his fingers through the hair that Wei Wuxian had left gloriously unbound, soft from where he had helped him to wash it the night before when the milder night air had not brought with it the risk of hypothermia. It had been a blissful few hours of peace, so often one of them needed in the village or having their attention monopolised by A-Yuan, and Lan Wangji had ensured to indulge in every moment they had been able to steal for themselves.

If someone had told him the night he had charged after Wei Wuxian across the roofs of the Cloud Recesses that he would one day be sitting in a place so alien to the one he had grown up in, sharing the meagre rations they had managed to stretch well enough that not a single stomach had been hungry in recent weeks, and almost completely contented with his existence, he would have thought they had taken leave of their senses. As he and Wei Wuxian had sat across from one another at their rough hewn table, discussing the merits of the crops they could plant out and whether to stick to those that were proven to do well in Yiling or to try hardier varieties from more hostile areas to combat the struggles of the Burial Mounds, a true sensation of peace had settled over him, knowing that they would work their way through the problem as they had done everything else.

It had been when Wei Wuxian had sat fidgeting for several minutes before unwinding a skinny twig from his hair that Lan Wangji had excused himself to fetch several buckets of the rain water that they at least had stored in abundance, setting some in a kettle over the fire to warm, before kneeling behind Wei Wuxian and working his hair free of all its fastenings. Though he had at first reacted with surprise, Wei Wuxian had soon relaxed and grown quiet under the attention, Lan Wangji glad to have found a way to chase away some of the tension that leading and protecting the village brought with it.

The stillness had continued when Lan Wangji had positioned them nearer to the fire to ward off any chill before working the warmed water and then what remained of the fragrant oil he had brought with him months before through Wei Wuxian's hair until it had regained much of the lustre he had known before the harshness of the landscape had taken its toll. It was a small gesture, something he was sure he would have happily done if he thought it needed long before he knew his feelings were returned. A promise in every pass of the comb to care and to ease and to share any burden that Wei Wuxian found himself carrying.

When Wei Wuxian, bundled into fresh clothes and yawning widely behind his hand, offered to return the favour, Lan Wangji had declined, his own body better acclimatised to the frigid temperatures they had face and having braved more than one dip in the stream the flowed down the back of the mountain. Instead, he had persuaded his usually wide awake companion to an early bed, the comfort and warmth of the heavy covers having pulled them both swiftly into a deep sleep, blissfully uninterrupted by nightmares or a certain small boy wriggling his way in between them.

Wei Wuxian pressed his head up against Lan Wangji's fingers, sighing softly as he drew the covers tighter around them both.

'I want to always wake up like this,' he said, his voice still rough from sleep, 'Even if we always have to be in this awful bed with threadbare blankets and horrible cold drafts coming through every crack in the walls.'

'It will not always be like this,' said Lan Wangji, 'One day, we will have a proper bed and a home that keeps out the chill. I know we will.'

'You're always so sure,' said Wei Wuxian, the smile apparent in his voice even if Lan Wangji could not see his face, 'Gives me hope.'

Lan Wangji pressed a kiss to the top of his head, 'I want to always give you hope,' he said, 'Are you going back to sleep?'

'Mmm, it's still too dark and cold,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I will stay here until it is properly spring and I can feel the sun on my face. This poor, weak body cannot cope another day with the cold.'

'Are you truly cold or being dramatic?' said Lan Wangji, instinctively tightening his arm around his waist and tucking the covers closer around them, 'Without your core...'

'Don't fuss,' said Wei Wuxian, though there was no sharpness to his tone, 'I'm fine. I'm cold but I'm not at risk. I can move around more at least now.'

'You should not over do it.'

'But you rub my back for me if I do,' he replied, 'Hardly an incentive to take things easy. I am a selfish and greedy creature, my dear Lan Zhan, and I will take everything you offer me and then more. Now I have all your attention, I do not wish to ever relinquish it.'

'You have had my attention since the moment I laid eyes upon you,' said Lan Wangji, 'And there is nothing you can take from me that I would not freely give.'

Wei Wuxian groaned. 'Lan Zhan, you are too much! Here we are, so early in the morning and you are so unfailingly romantic even when I am being cheeky. It is not the sword or the cold that will get me. I will expire from your affection, I cannot cope with it.'

'A true shame,' said Lan Wangji, 'For I planned to be unfailingly romantic as you put it until the end of our lives. I shall have to remove myself and go tidy the storeroom to avoid doing you harm.'

Wei Wuxian laughed, hands tightening their hold on his robes, 'No don't go, don't leave me. I will manage,' he said, 'Stay and be romantic and warm and you and I will be forever content. Don't leave me to lie here and miss you.'

Very few people would have heard the slight catch at the end of his last words but it was as loud as a shout to Lan Wangji as he shifted enough so that they were lying face to face, his fingers tucking away several strands of Wei Wuxian's hair behind his ear.

'Nowhere I would rather be,' he said, the answering smile small but genuine.

He knew the insecurity Wei Wuxian felt was not just down to the newness of their romance or the fear that came with uncertainty of their future. In the depths of the night, once the final barrier of the truth of Wei Wuxian's core had been broken down, they had shared so much that had been hidden from the rest of the world. Where Lan Wangji had shared his sorrow over his mother, the distant and chilled relationship he had had with his father, and the difficulties that came with Lan Qiren's expectations of him and his brother, Wei Wuxian had shared the hollowness that came with never truly knowing his parents, of growing up in a home that was not always welcoming, of knowing that one day he would be separated from the two people he had been closest to in the world from his childhood. Love and family had been almost nebulous things to them both, transient and conditioned, until they had begun to build their own around them. The fear of losing what they had come to love all too familiar and ever present even in the brief moments of joy they found within the hard work and suffering that sometimes felt endless.

He knew too that Wei Wuxian, whose fate was far more tightly bound to the Wens, feared the sudden removal of Lan Wangji from his place beside them, every letter, delivery or visit from the outside world bringing an anxiousness to him that spoke of the fear that one day Lan Wangji would again be absent from their home. He knew he could reassure him every moment of the day that he would need to be forcibly removed and would still fight with all he had to remain but, until the world outside grew less hostile towards them, it was not a fear Wei Wuxian would easily shake.

He felt the tension that had taken Wei Wuxian in the last moments of their conversation dissipate as he pressed an unhurried kiss to his lips. The knowledge that he could so easily quell the manic energy that so often overwhelmed his beloved brought with it a relief that calmed him as well. It would never be a hardship to ever be on hand with a touch or a kiss to ground Wei Wuxian when the mercurial moods and anxieties grew to heavy for him to bear alone. The fact that it was the easiest way to speak of his love, even if the exact words were yet unsaid, was another blessing. He had no reticence in speaking the words, certain his love was returned just as fiercely, but there had not yet been a time to voice them. Even in the warmth of their bed and the span of one another's arms, it had not yet been the time. He was content to wait and speak it through other means, just as he was content to give time and nature the chance to grow and blossom in the fields around them.

'I will get you in trouble with Wen Qing if I keep you too long and you've made a mess of her storeroom,' said Wei Wuxian, pressing a sleep warm cheek against Lan Wangji's as he broke their embrace, 'Give me a few more minutes to remember how all my limbs work and I'll come and help you.'

'I fear I will get in more trouble if I go against her orders to have you rest as much as possible still,' said Lan Wangji, 'You should sleep a little more, I'll add another blanket to the bed and stoke the fire so you stay warm.'

'Can I have another kiss before you go?' said Wei Wuxian, 'I know I will have good dreams then.'

'Mn. Good dreams are preferred,' said Lan Wangji, losing himself for several long moments in the sleepy kiss, just as reluctant to leave as Wei Wuxian was to allow him to but he did not want to inconvenience the others by leaving a task half done when the delivery was expected that morning.

When he finally left the bed, he made sure to tuck the covers tight around Wei Wuxian who soon curled up in a tight cocoon beneath them, only the flyaway strands of his hair and the rise a fall of the blankets giving away that it was more than a pile of threadbare cloth upon the bed. He added another log to the fire, stoking it into a better blaze that would still be safe as Wei Wuxian slumbered on.

He drew several layers of robes around him to ward off the early morning chill, frowning at the hole that had been worked into the sleeve from the handle of the spade he had been digging out one of the newer plots with the day before. The material around it though was too thin for him to mend quickly, knowing he would need to patch it when he had time that evening if it wasn't wrestled from him by Wen-Popo who seemed to be able to make good out of even the worst worn of clothes. He spared a glance to the box in the corner of the room, unopened for many weeks, that held his own pristine white robes alongside Wei Wuxian's fine black and crimson ones that he had worn on the fated day their lives had been so altered. He was only grateful that it was not the last clothes he had seen him wear, preferring the simpler workaday attire that meant he was alive and still fighting for a place in the world.

He hoped that the day they opened the box again would be the day they left the Burial Mounds, free of the confinement forced upon the Wens and making their way into a more peaceful world.

The dawn was barely pinking the horizon as he left the cave, the air still carrying a chill with it even if the days were getting brighter. The village was quiet, even those who woke early to start the fires still slumbering in their beds. He knew one person would be awake though, making sure to pass beneath the look out point they had built, receiving a small wave in return for his greeting from Wen Ning before he returned his attention to the sprawling forest surrounding them.

The rain that had chased him away from the storeroom the evening before had left the ground a little slick beneath his boots, certain to cause someone to slip as they brought in the delivery due from Yiling that morning. He was glad they had salvaged what they could from the house that had fallen, the wood useful for less important structures and for shoring up the edges of some of the smaller beds where they would grow the food they needed. The larger pieces though made for good footpaths and it didn't take him long to manoeuvre several into place to create a makeshift run up to the storeroom door.

Without the wind or the necessity to close the door against the weather and trap himself inside with smoke from a lantern, he lit several small ones to give himself enough light to work by, arranging the remaining rations from the last delivery to the front so they would be used first before checking the fixings of the shelves and making sure they had no additional residents move into any of the darker corners. He knew, with the incoming spring, it would soon only be useful for dried goods, plans already in place to work a cold store into the rock of the cave though work was yet to begin.

He knew he had offered to help with clearing some of the trees closer to the barrier in the hope of creating a larger field but he wondered if he would be needed for the entire day, knowing that if he and Wen Ning could be put to use beginning to dig out the start of the cold store they could have it prepared in time for when the weather finally turned towards warmth. He was so busy formulating a plan of how to safely reinforce the ceiling of the structure that he barely heard his name being called until Wen Ning was at the door to the storeroom.

'Hanguang-Jun,' he said, 'The barrier has been activated.'

Lan Wangji frowned, 'It is too early for a delivery.'

Wen Ning nodded, 'Not until the mid morning,' he said, 'Should I go down?'

'I will accompany you,' said Lan Wangji, hurrying back to the mouth of the cave where Bichen sat on a stand Wei Wuxian had made for it not long after Lan Wangji's arrival.

Wen Ning was a silent presence beside him as they made their way down the path together, the fog heavy and chasing away much of the early dawn light. It allowed them though the see the single lantern being held still at the barrier, the person holding it trembling a little and Lan Wangji was sure it was not just from the chill of the morning. As they grew close enough to see the features of his face, Lan Wangji recognised him as one of the townspeople who often brought letters from his brother along with the deliveries they received.

He ignored the worry that quickly assailed him that word had been sent that they were to be cut off from their vital supplies, knowing he would have difficulty if he needed to venture out alone now he knew he could not do so with Wen Ning at his side in case they were seen.

'Hanguang-Jun, Gui Jiangjun,' said the man with a bow as he recognised them.

Lan Wangji saw Wen Ning's flinch at the title out of the corner of his eye, knowing how much the younger man wanted to distance himself from it. It would be a long time coming though, certain even a declaration that morning of his innocence and that of the other Wens would do little to change it, only time and obscurity allowing for it.

'You have news?' said Lan Wangji, pausing at the invisible line that denoted the last of their protection from the outside world.

'A letter. It arrived last night,' said the man, 'Forgive me I did not bring it immediately but the mountain...'

'The roads here should not be travelled at night,' said Lan Wangji, lowering a small portion of the barrier enough to extend a hand out to receive the letter held out to him, 'Thank you for bringing it swiftly this morning.'

The man stepped back with another bow, looking more than ready to be away from the place and the heavy fog that still hung around them. Lan Wangji raised the barrier once more, gently testing it to ensure it was in place correctly before he bowed in return. The man had scurried away the moment they turned to head back up the mountain, his footsteps heavy as he negotiated the still muddy terrain.

'We need a road,' said Lan Wangji absently, the letter like a searing coal in his hand in its demand to be read but knowing he would need more light to see by.

'We need more than a road,' said Wen Ning, humour mixed with a sorrow of all they were struggling for.

It was a side of Wen Ning he had only come to know in more recent weeks, always having found him a shy but earnest young man, similar in many ways to Lan Wangji himself, but time and the closeness forced by their situation had forged them as friends. He was glad of it, companionship something that had been somewhat alien to him before Wei Wuxian had crashed into the Cloud Recesses and forced himself into Lan Wangji's attention. He knew, if time ever allowed for it, he would look back on his time in the Burial Mounds with regret for the suffering but with joy also for the friends and company he had found there.

'I hope one day we will build a road and travel it freely,' he said, the ascent back to the village heavy in the dark and the morning chill, 'It would be pleasant to walk along something that doesn't stick to our boots.'

Wen Ning laughed softly, 'We will long for the mud when we are wanting rain,' he said, 'The summer can bring its own problems.'

'I'm hoping the irrigation system Wei Ying is designing will alleviate some of it,' said Lan Wangji, 'Or that we will be settled elsewhere.'

Wen Ning sighed, 'I don't know if there can be an elsewhere for us,' he said, 'Even if we find ourselves free.'

'The future is unknown,' said Lan Wangji, the pair of them lapsing into a companionable silence as they continued their climb.

Several of the villagers were up and beginning the day when they broke the tree cover, Lan Wangji pausing the moment they were out of the shadows and looking down at the letter in his hand, unmarked save for the direction and his name.

It was not his brother's hand nor did he send his letters unmarked and it hastened Lan Wangji as he opened it, his eyes lighting immediately to the author and widening in surprise.

'Lan Er-Gongzi?' said Wen Ning, 'What is wrong?'

'It is from Jin Zixuan,' he said, briefly scanning the text, heart tightening a little in his chest at the words, 'Find Wen Qing and come to our room. I will wake Wei Ying.'

'Is something wrong?' said Wen Ning.

'A change of situation,' said Lan Wangji, 'We can look over it together. There is no immediate need to be alarmed.'

Wen Ning's eyes scanned over the village and the few people beginning their work before he nodded. 'I will be quick.'

Lan Wangji headed to the cave as Wen Ning went in search of his sister, ignoring the urge to run down to the barrier and exhaust all his spiritual power to strengthen it. He would not allow panic to assail him, the letter advisory rather than a warning but the fact that it had been sent spoke volumes.

The Wei Wuxian shaped lump beneath their covers had barely moved since he had left, his breathing soft and even as he slept on. Lan Wangji was loathed to wake him, knowing restful sleep was often elusive yet still necessary to help his recovery and maintain his control over the cultivation he had undertaken. He sat carefully next to him, not wishing to startle him awake, and laid a hand on his shoulder.

'Wei Ying,' he said, 'You need to wake. I have some news.'

Wei Wuxian stirred but did not wake, pulling the covers even tighter around him.

'Wei Ying, come on now. I need you to wake up. It is important.'

A groan accompanied his movement this time, his hair wildly askew as he pulled the blankets down enough to regard him with sleepy eyes.

'How long have I slept?' he said, 'You don't look right. Lan Zhan?'

'There's news,' said Lan Wangji, 'From Jinlintai.'

Any sleepiness that had hung over Wei Wuxian lifted instantly, the covers thrown back as he hurried to sitting, flinching only a little at the residual ache Lan Wangji knew still lingered in his back.

'What news?' he said, pulling on his outer layers, 'What has happened? Is everything alright?'

'Calm down,' said Lan Wangji, grabbing his arm to steady him as he nearly toppled pulling on his boots, 'There is no cause for alarm. I have sent Wen Ning to bring Wen Qing to us. This is something we should all review and discuss together.'

Wei Wuxian sighed, 'You look worried.'

'Any news that isn't an absolute reprieve comes as a concern,' said Lan Wangji, 'But we can weather this.'

Any further questions were halted as Wen Ning and Wen Qing entered the cave, Wen Qing wearing almost a matching expression of worry to the one on Wei Wuxian's face.

'What's happened?' she said, 'Are we in danger?'

'Let's sit,' said Lan Wangji, 'And I will read the letter to you.'

They had soon reconvened at the table which had been such a picture of peace the night before, the three faces before him pale with worry as he smoothed the letter on the table.

'The letter is from Jin Zixuan and sent with haste to us last night. I will read it to you,' he said, before turning his attention to the page, 'Lan Wangji, I write to you as there is no restrictions upon me doing so but you are free to share my words with all concerned. Do not be alarmed either that this letter is sent without any due process being followed, Lan-Zongzhu will be similarly informed of the events that have occurred here and I am sure he will write to you in due course. My cousin, Jin Zixun, who was both the instigator and potential victim of the events at Qiongqi Path, has been released from his confinement here and all accusations against him for his part in the events dropped. This is the only change that has occurred but it is only right that you be informed. All the other sect leaders are being written to to inform them of Jin-Xiandu's decision.'

The curse Wei Wuxian hissed beneath his breath was not appropriate for the table but Lan Wangji felt no need to call him on it, certain many of them echoed the sentiment.

'This is how it will start,' said Wei Wuxian, 'First one released and then Su She and Meng Yao will find themselves absolved. They'll find a way to pin everything that happened that day on us.'

'Let us not over think this yet,' said Lan Wangji, 'Whilst Jin Guangshan can distance himself from Meng Yao, it is not so easy for him to do so from Jin Zixun. I do not condone his release, regardless of his perception of your guilt in his affliction, the fact remains that he did not follow the process he should have done and he took an ambush to a man who had not been proven guilty of a crime. Xiongzhang will be unhappy with this outcome, our own disciples were there, lured under falsehoods. We can only hope that in releasing one who bears his name, Jin Guangshan will ensure the others are punished.'

'You can't be sure of that,' said Wei Wuxian.

'We cannot be sure of anything,' said Wen Qing, setting a gentling hand on his arm, 'Is there any more?'

Lan Wangji nodded, returning to the letter before him. 'Though I am certain this news will reach you, I wanted to ensure you were aware as soon as possible. I will not comment on Jin-Xiandu's decision but I must forewarn you that I believe my cousin still holds ill-will towards Wei Wuxian despite his innocence in the perceived offence being proven. Such ill feeling may fan the flames of others. I hope I am wrong in that assumption but please be mindful.'

'He knows something,' said Wei Wuxian.

'And is warning us,' said Wen Qing, 'We do not have the barrier and the defences for decoration. The risk of attack has always been present.'

'But why would he warn us?'

'Because, unlike his father, Jin Zixuan has a sense of justice,' said Lan Wangji, 'Do not forget who was there when tragedy was averted. He did not go to fight you, he went to save lives. He went to save your life. I know you and he have never been friends but he has sent this letter in good faith and to put us on our guard.'

'Lan Zhan,' sighed Wei Wuxian, 'Do you truly think Jin Guangshan would allow his son to send us such a letter?'

'It is unmarked,' said Lan Wangji, 'I do not believe Jin Guangshan knows anything about it.'

'Have hope, Wei Wuxian, that others might be on our side,' said Wen Qing, 'Don't forget who Jin Zixuan is married to.'

'He mentions her in the letter,' said Lan Wangji, 'They are going to Lotus Pier.'

'To Jiang Cheng, for how long?' said Wei Wuxian.

Lan Wangji read once more from the letter as Wei Wuxian knotted his hands together against the tabletop. 'With the coming spring, I intend to take my wife and our son to visit her former home in Yunmeng. I believe the change of scenery and air will be good for them both. We intend to stay for several weeks and may choose to visit other towns in the vicinity during our visit. If our journey passes us near to Yiling, I would hope we would be able to visit those living there of our acquaintance.'

Wei Wuxian rose silently from the table, heading deeper into the shadows of the cave.

'Lan Wangji,' said Wen Qing, her fingers resting gently on his arm, 'Go to him.'

He nodded, getting to his feet and heading to where Wei Wuxian stood with his back to them, shoulders hunched and tense. Though they had made no formal announcement of the change of their friendship to something more, it was more than apparent that everyone had seen the change in them and gave their wholehearted approval to it, so it was with no hesitance that he laid his hands against his arms, rubbing gently to ease the tension he found there.

'Wei Ying,' he said, 'Try not to worry. It is a set back but not one we cannot recover from.'

'He's taking Shijie to Jiang Cheng,' said Wei Wuxian, one of his hands reaching up to cover Lan Wangji's, 'He's getting her out of there. He must think...'

'I cannot imagine it is pleasant for her to hear your name dragged through the mud as we know it will be by some of the sects,' said Lan Wangji, 'He may just be trying to spare her something that is hurtful to her. If there are other reasons though, if he believes there is some sort of threat at least you can rest assured she and Jin Ling will be safe. Jiang-Zongzhu would never allow harm to come to her.'

Wei Wuxian let out a frustrated huff, fingers tightening on Lan Wangji's hand, 'I have to think of our next move.'

'Not alone,' he said, 'We can help. At least things have started to move. Action is better than inaction and we can prepare for the worst if we have to. Do not forget though, Jin Zixun is an easy obstacle for Jin Guangshan to overcome and, even if he chooses to release Meng Yao and Su She, to move against you he would need to prove his case to all the sects. You have done nothing to warrant action. That's what I have been here to report on.'

He was glad when a small laugh left the man before him as he turned to face his, his eyes still carrying his worries but a little brighter all the same.

'I keep forgetting you were sent here to spy on us, Hanguang-Jun.'

'So do I,' said Lan Wangji, 'Come back to the table. Let's discuss what we do next.'

If Wei Wuxian sat a little closer to him when they returned to the table, it was not remarked upon, talk soon turning between the four of them to how they could best answer and counter what may come their way if decisions began to go against them. Though their defences would not hold against any true army, they could still rely upon the terrain to provide them with some assistance, traps and surprise their ally over any form of head to head defence. Lan Wangji could see the worry grow heavier over Wei Wuxian as talk turned to surrender if they were too far outnumbered in the hope that at least some of the Wens would be spared in sympathy either for age or infirmity.

He wanted to turn talk to other plans, to how they could conduct themselves if decisions did go more in their favour but he knew his place was still to support those he protected, to guide them where he could but that ultimately the fate of the Wens lay in the hands of Wen Qing, Wen Ning and Wei Wuxian.

Talk of setting aside a portion of their food for emergencies and to stockpile anything they could keep in the longer term in case of a cessation of deliveries seemed to conjure the one they were expecting, the villagers calling to them from just beyond the entrance to the cave. Wen Ning was the first on his feet, always on hand to assist with the heavier sacks and boxes that came up the mountain. As Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian went to assist as well though, Wen Qing held them back, the smile on her face reassuring as she waved them back into their seats.

'I have another matter I need to discuss with you,' she said, 'One that will have an affect on us here and considerations on how we carry on if answers don't come quickly. One of the women is with child. It is early and, with conditions as they are, things may change but we need to be prepared for everything it entails. She has her husband and her husband's sister here to assist her as needed but no pregnancy comes without its trials.'

'I hadn't given much thought to anything like that,' said Wei Wuxian, 'But we are a village of sorts now and villages grow. We were so busy surviving last year that planning anything further seemed foolish.'

'We are better placed with more regular rations and a better routine,' said Wen Qing, 'Winter and weddings are always guaranteed to bring babies as well. There are those here who are already married, some widows and widowers who may pair off. We need to consider what human nature will bring to us.'

'And to ensure things are done properly,' said Lan Wangji, 'Not least because the focus of the cultivation world is greater on this place than any other. Children coming into an uncertain world need to be protected. Is there anything you will need?'

Wen Qing nodded, 'If you could write to Zewu-Jun, I have a list of medicines and ingredients that I will need to keep the mother and the infant as healthy as possible. Additional rations will be needed as well to ensure there is no malnourishment. My medical knowledge will be enough during the pregnancy I think but I have never dealt first hand with a birth. Popo has some experience assisting women in childbirth but it would help if we had a midwife on hand, someone who can help when the time comes. I don't know what the sects would say if we were to ask in Yiling.'

'I will write to my brother and tell him we will need to engage the services of someone,' said Lan Wangji, 'Regardless of the others sects' opinions on us, both mother and child should be considered wholly innocent and have access to whatever care they need. I will include your list as well but can what you need be purchased in Yiling?'

Wen Qing nodded, 'I would believe so. They are common enough.'

'Then I will go to Yiling and purchase what I can now and make enquiries about the services of a midwife,' said Lan Wangji, 'I am certain Xiongzhang will oblige but, in light of this morning's news, we should be prepared to manage alone as well.'

'I will make a list,' said Wen Qing, 'Most things are not urgent so if you cannot get them now, perhaps someone might deliver them to the barrier later.'

'I am sure someone will oblige,' said Lan Wangji, 'Wei Ying, do you have a warning talisman I can take with me?'

Wei Wuxian nodded, 'Do you think it is wise to go today?'

'Today is better than waiting,' said Lan Wangji, 'If things change swiftly...'

'You're right,' said Wei Wuxian, 'The barrier...I'll have to make it more powerful. We'll have to let you back in.'

'That would be prudent. If you can make the list for me, I will leave this morning.'

'After breakfast,' said Wen Qing, 'You don't want to be faced with all those temptations on an empty stomach, even if you were brought up with three thousand rules. I will go and make sure the stores are put away properly.'

She rose with a small smile, laying a hand on Wei Wuxian's shoulder as she passed him, a gentle look passing between them that spoke of a journey already well travelled together and Lan Wangji was glad that there had always been support for him even in the darkest days.

Familiar fingers laced with his when they found themselves alone once more, Wei Wuxian's head coming to rest against his shoulder.

'What the hell are we doing, Lan Zhan?' he said, 'People pairing off. Children. I thought it would be difficult with A-Yuan even though he's such a good child but babies? Real proper babies coming into this awful place. Can we do this?'

'We will have to,' said Lan Wangji, pressing a kiss to his hair, 'We are a community now with all that that entails. There will be deaths, births, marriages.'

Wei Wuxian's fingers tightened around his at the last word, bringing a small smile to Lan Wangji's lips.

'We'll manage, Wei-Zongzhu, together.'

'Don't call me that,' said Wei Wuxian, with a small laugh, 'Makes me feel strange. I can barely take care of myself.'

'You've always struggled to see your own merits,' said Lan Wangji, 'I think that Wei-Zongzhu and the YilingWei sect will one day be force for good in the world and any child born here will be glad of it.'

'You are ridiculously optimistic,' said Wei Wuxian, 'But I'm glad of it. You brought hope with you when you came here. I want it to last.'

He turned, coaxing Wei Wuxian's head from where it rested on his shoulder until he could cup his cheek in his free hand. His eyes were heavy, the threat of tears lingering as the worry pressed heavily on him.

'We'll manage,' he said again, pressing a kiss to his lips, 'Together.'

'Be careful when you go into Yiling,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I know you're worth a hundred cultivators but don't take any risks. I want you back in one piece.'

'I'll be home as soon as I have gathered what is needed,' said Lan Wangji, 'If the toy seller is there I will get something for A-Yuan, he will be disappointed that I will need to postpone his lesson.'

'Will I get a gift as well or are you playing favourites?'

Lan Wangji kissed the cheek nearest too him that still bore the faint marks of his robes and the blankets Wei Wuxian had slept on. 'A-Yuan is a dear, sweet boy,' he said, his lips moving to rest against Wei Wuxian's temple, 'But Wei Ying will always be my favourite.'

He felt the blush against his hand capturing the soft, shaky exhale that left Wei Wuxian as he pressed a kiss to his lips.

'I preferred it when you were shy,' said Wei Wuxian, hiding his face against Lan Wangji's neck when they parted, 'The things you say.'

'I wasted too much time being silent,' said Lan Wangji, 'And I would never want you to doubt who it is I hold foremost in my affections.'

Wei Wuxian made a desperate noise against his throat, 'You will kill me,' he said, 'But I will die happy.'

'Live happy first,' said Lan Wangji, loosening his hand to instead wrap his arms around him, chasing away a little of the lingering tension in the quiet shadows of their home.

xxxx

Lan Wangji had never liked crowded places or noisy places or places filled with strangers so Yiling came upon him like a headache as he stepped into the bustling streets.

Though he had been free to come and go from the Burial Mounds, unlike his companions, he had only done so when necessity pressed him into it and the weather had stopped too many journeys over the wintertime. Still, he was glad of the chance to gather what was needed, Wen Qing's list all but fulfilled after only having to deal with a few traders, the remaining items due to be delivered to the barrier in the coming days.

His enquiries into a suitable midwife to attend their expectant mother had led him to a simple but capable woman who seemed to care little for who they were or where they lived, assuring him that her services would be provided as and when they were needed, a trip already arranged for several days after for her to visit both the mother and Wen Qing to discuss her ongoing care. It seemed a regular theme when he spoke to the traders he encountered, all of them aware of who he was and where he was from, but not caring for it. He supposed that the majority of the wares sent up the mountain to them were purchased in or near to Yiling by those his brother had made arrangements with, the regular purchases no doubt bolstering several purses over the leaner winter months.

The more gregarious of traders even asked after the villagers they knew by name. Even Wen Ning, despite them still using his hated title, was asked after in terms that did not seem to hold much fear, many commenting that they had had little trouble from the people living in the Burial Mounds and less from the resentful spirits that lived there since Wei Wuxian had begun to contain them.

With the errands he had been sent for completed, he turned his attention to more frivolous things, locating the toy seller near to the inn and finding several simple toys that would suit A-Yuan. It was a simple indulgence but his heart felt a little lighter for it, wondering if some of the hardier toys would find themselves being passed down to the generation yet to join them. He shook off the thought as quickly as it came, the future too nebulous a thing and he knew thinking too far ahead would lead to more heartbreak if decisions did not go their way.

His thoughts turned instead to Wei Wuxian and the promised gift he was meant to return with, his mind running at a loss as to what to buy. He dismissed such practical gifts as talisman paper and other such things that were sent regularly with his brother's deliveries. He equally dismissed the fine material he passed on one of the stalls, the bright crimson so similar to Wei Wuxian's preferred shade but any clothes that could be made from it were impractical for their day to day lives and he knew, if he was to by Wei Wuxian red, he would want it to be for a far more sacred reason than a simple gift from his visit.

Red remained a theme though as he stepped into a small store selling various trinkets, his eyes falling on a leather hair ornament embossed with a subtle russet that would sit well with the brighter crimson ribbon Wei Wuxian often wore. The one he currently wore was wearing thin at the fastenings, subject to the whims of the weather as were all their clothes, and Lan Wangji could almost label it a necessity if it wasn't for the fact that he knew it was more than a perfect excuse to see Wei Wuxian wearing something that had been a gift from him.

'Hanguang-Jun?'

The voice was familiar, warm and friendly and carrying many reminders of days long passed. He turned, reminding himself that Jin colours were no longer required for the woman who had defected so publicly from her sect.

'Luo-guniang,' he said, bowing as she did the same, her smile bright as she regarded him, 'How are you?'

'I'm well,' she said, her eyes wanting to stray to his clothes even as she tried to prevent them.

He was sure months before he would have been embarrassed to have been caught in such simple attire, the hems of his robes stained with mud from the road and the sleeve still not patched before he left for the town. He could have passed by many unrecognised, he was sure, were it not for the ribbon across his forehead that spoke far louder of who he was than anything else could.

'Are you well? I heard what happened.'

'I don't think there are many who have not,' said Lan Wangji, 'But we are all well. What brings you to Yiling?'

Mianmian smiled, 'Work,' she said, 'There was a haunting on one of the farms on the outskirts that no one would take because the farmer could not pay. A kindness is its own reward and, after I had dealt with his problem, I had several others engage my services who could pay. It's not the life I once knew but it is good and honest.'

'A reward indeed,' said Lan Wangji.

Mianmian sighed, her gaze running over the rough clothes he wore, a sorrowful frown falling over her features. 'For what it is worth, I hope they come to their senses and let Wei Wuxian and the Wens free. I never believed what Jin Guangshan used to say about them and he behaved just as badly as he accused them of. I only wish there was something I can do.'

'That is enough,' said Lan Wangji, 'So long as some people in the world believe the truth, we can only hope that it spreads.'

'There are stories,' said Mianmian, 'Where they used to tell of how terrifying the Yiling Laozu was, now it's about how he rescued the people being persecuted. Jin-Xiandu as well...'

She trailed off, her eyes darting around her to the other patrons who seemed more concerned with their own purchases than their conversation.

'I should...' she began, 'I wish you luck. I hope everything continues to go well. I'll let you return to your purchase.'

Lan Wangji saw the reluctance as she bowed and turned away,, remembering the earnest young woman who had given up sect and position for the defence of Wei Wuxian. Someone who had been his friend and supporter long after much of the world had turned against him.

'I am sure they would like to see you,' he said, 'Wei Ying and the others. If you could spare the time.'

'I would like to see them,' said Mianmian, turning back to him, 'So long as it does not infringe on any rules.'

'I do not believe Jin-Xiandu can prevent people from walking a road, however barren it may be.'

'Then I shall walk it,' said Mianmian, 'I have something to collect from the trader next door. I will meet you outside when you're done here. It will suit him.'

The words trailed her as she headed for the door, Lan Wangji taking one more admiring look at the ornament before he plucked it from the display to take to the vendor. With it carefully wrapped and stored in his bag, he returned to the street to find Mianmian waiting to begin the journey to reunite with their friends.

Chapter 16: Propriety

Chapter Text

The wood Wei Wuxian had been carving clattered onto the tabletop, cracking along an unseen fault and rendering the work even more useless than it had been. He dropped his head into his hands, tugging at several strands of hair that had come loose from where he'd fastened it.

He had tried his best to turn his attention to work after A-Yuan, in a temper befitting a four year old, had gone to sulk against his Popo's skirts when he had been told that his lesson with Lan Wangji would need to be postponed. He longed for the noise and the nonsense that usually accompanied the child, his own head often a dangerous place to be in and even more so when Lan Wangji was away from the strange safety of the Burial Mounds.

He knew he was more than capable, anyone foolish enough to face Lan Wangji head to head deserving of the swift end they would receive, but it still felt like a risk too far. He wanted him back behind the barrier, back in the space that felt safe, where they were together and protecting each other as much as they protected the people around them. He pushed away the thoughts of him being taken by force, dragged back to the Cloud Recesses or some nameless place where he wouldn't be found.

He knew the journey was necessary, the safety of the life yet to come to their small part of the world and the woman carrying it paramount. He wished they could wait for Lan Xichen to send what was needed but the added worry of them being cut off once more that came hand in hand with Jin Zixuan's letter meant the risk was one they had to take and Lan Wangji the only one who could take it. The moments would be long as Wei Wuxian waited, wanting for the barrier to activate and for Lan Wangji to be again at his side.

He raised his head, knowing the work before him was a lost cause as the stone surrounding him seemed to press down on him. He looked around the room, half expecting to see the shadows that plagued his dreams to be climbing down to the walls towards him without Lan Wangji to chase them away. He got to his feet, almost stumbling as he caught his heel in the frayed hem of his robes that he'd torn the day before, but it did little to slow his pace as he hurried from the cave and into the pale light outside. The noise of the village was comforting, their daily lives playing out as they always did, the weather at least giving them a little reprieve to get things planted out in the hope of a few more crops to sustain them.

He forced a smile as he was greeted by several of the Wens, not wanting them to worry that anything was amiss with Lan Wangji having gone somewhat unexpectedly to Yiling. The never ending weight that had fallen on his shoulders the day he had fled with them to the sanctuary of the Burial Mounds had seemed a little lighter over the winter but, as he tried to find occupation, it pressed him down into the rain sodden earth, making his steps heavy and sluggish.

He reached a hand beneath his collar, finger tracing the edge of the warning talisman that lay close to his skin as he resisted the urge to use it to call Lan Wangji back. He had no wish to panic him or to pull him back from a few moments of freedom and reprieve from the world he had been subjected to. He could only be grateful that he had not made more of his right to come and go from the Burial Mounds where the rest of them found themselves confined, certain it had been tempting during the colder months to seek out the warmth of an inn and the comfort of a proper bed. He knew what a wrench it must have been to miss the comforts of the Cloud Recesses and the family he had left behind there, duty bound instead to spend time in nothing but mud and cold with only the memory of a better place to sustain him.

Wei Wuxian hoped in Yiling there would be people happy to talk with Lan Wangji, who would not turn away because of who he was helping. He hoped, even as he wished him back, that he would take the time to walk the streets and enjoy the sights of life without hardship, to pause at an inn and listen to a story or just watch the passing of people to and from the place. He hoped, in a strange way that made his heart do something complicated beneath his ribs, that he would come to his senses at last and send the supplies he had been sent for back up the mountain with a note to say he had returned to the world he truly belonged in and that someone else would be sent to fulfil the thankless task of being their watcher and their keeper.

'Get out of your head and walk with me.'

He was glad Wen Qing had the good sense to keep several steps away from him as he whirled around at the sound of her voice, Chenqing held as he had once held Suibian when he had found himself under threat. The roll of her eyes and the exasperated sigh that left her spoke of her experience of his moods, giving him a moment to relax before she moved towards him and took hold of his sleeve, dragging him towards a quieter area of the settlement before placing a hoe in his hands and pointing him towards a half turned patch of earth.

'Take it out on that rather than getting it all wound up in your head,' she said, falling into an easy rhythm beside him, 'Do you want to talk about what's bothering you or just work? Gently mind you, you're still healing.'

'Nothing's bothering me,' he said, making a lie of his own words as he brought down the hoe too hard into the ground, having to brace his feet and pull to free it once more.

Wen Qing gave an unladylike snort, 'You looked as though you were going to either throw up or leap out of your skin when I found you,' she said, before her voice gentled, 'He'll be home soon.'

Wei Wuxian wanted to brush off the words with something non-committal but his own voice turned traitor, surprising him with the words that left him. 'The Cloud Recesses will take a while to reach.'

'I don't think that's home for him any more,' said Wen Qing, 'Wei Wuxian, you know he's not so faithless. Do you really think...'

'No,' said Wei Wuxian, his tone sharp before he sighed, 'No. He's...he's Lan Zhan, he's... He deserves better than this.'

'Everyone deserves better than this,' said Wen Qing, 'I think if you were to ask him where he was happiest though, he'd say here, with you. He's coming back.'

Wei Wuxian paused his work, resting his forehead against the rough wooden handle. 'What if someone stops him?' he said, 'We don't know what's waiting out there.'

'If someone really wants to take on Lan Wangji, they'd better hope their affairs are in order before they do,' said Wen Qing, 'And he's here as an observer as far as they are concerned. No one is going to risk offending the Lan Sect by doing harm to him. He'll be back before it is dark and then the two of you can hide away and pretend the rest of us don't exist for the evening.'

The tease was gently meant, something he had been glad of since his friendship with Lan Wangji had changed into something more, the acceptance of it a comfort where he had feared it would be viewed with suspicion or disapproval from those around them. As Wen Qing smiled and returned to her work though, another thought struck Wei Wuxian. Whilst Wen Qing felt able to tease them and the others looked on in a way that made it seem like Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji had been the last to realise what they had together, he wondered if it would be the same if Lan Wangji was not a revered son of a great sect but instead a treasured daughter. Though he knew it would be unlikely that a family would allow the same risky endeavours to be undertaken had Lan Wangji been born a girl, he wondered if the villagers they shared the Burial Mounds with would be as understanding of their closeness instead of thinking ill of it outside of a marriage.

His thoughts turned to the conversation they had shared that morning, of Lan Wangji's own insistence that all things should be attended to properly. He wondered how they could even begin to insist upon such when their own relationship would be defined as improper if anyone in the world beyond could see it. Sharing a bed as friends forced into hardship was one thing, a common occurrence especially with lives given to travelling when cost and necessity outweighed the usual expected decorum. As a youth he had quite often fallen asleep beside Jiang Cheng when they had talked late into the night or beside one of his shidi if illness or injury had meant they needed watching over. It had been brotherhood and friendship then, a love of sorts but without the spark that had been there from the very beginning with Lan Wangji.

He could not even pretend that the first night Lan Wangji had slept beside him, when the cold had forced them together in search of warmth, that there had not been a frisson of excitement to feel his warm, solid presence beside him. He had indulged in the closeness, become greedy for the arms that wrapped around him, wanted so often to give in to the urge to discover the taste of his skin and feel the heat of him beneath the layers they both wore.

Now, with their hearts bared and the soft spoken promises that had passed between them, Wei Wuxian could no longer claim the sanctuary of mere friendship. They were lovers, regardless of whether their relationship was still chaste, in the eyes of the world their relationship had changed at their first kiss and they were treading a dangerous path without any formal union.

'What is it now?' said Wen Qing.

'I...' began Wei Wuxian, before he spared a look around him to make sure they were unheard, 'Should I marry him?'

'You...what?' said Wen Qing, 'Did I miss part of the conversation?'

'We should be doing things properly,' said Wei Wuxian, 'We all agreed so this morning. We...we're not, but...isn't it right that we should be married?'

Wen Qing rubbed a finger between her eyebrows, her face pinched before she pointed to the rough rocky shelf to the right of them. 'Sit and tell me what's brought this on.'

Wei Wuxian sat where she pointed, arms tightly folded around him as Wen Qing settled herself at his side. He grappled for the words, knowing the woman beside him was no delicate flower, her life punctuated by more horrors than even he had known, but he had no wish to speak flippantly around her. He valued her nearly as dearly as Jiang Yanli, a sister bound to him through fate and suffering, but it did little to help him voice his concerns.

'Do you love him?'

He couldn't help but smile, Wen Qing never one to dance around an issue when it was quicker to get to the point.

'I haven't spoken the words to him so I'm not starting elsewhere,' he said, ignoring the small, delighted smile that graced her lips, 'Does it matter?'

'You're talking about marriage,' said Wen Qing, 'And there are only ever two reasons to marry and they are love or politics. You and Lan Wangji do not strike me as a political match.'

'Even before all this there wasn't anyone willing to barter for my hand,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Though I sometimes wonder if Yu-Furen...no, I shouldn't say such things. Now, I don't think there would ever be a single sect willing to tie themselves to me in marriage, even if we were all proclaimed innocent tomorrow. They'd never let Lan Zhan...'

'I don't think anyone would get a say in it if it is what he truly wanted,' said Wen Qing, 'He's even more stubborn than you.'

'He's a hundred times more stubborn than me,' said Wei Wuxian fondly, 'It's easier to move a mountain than him sometimes.'

'Then let me say this,' said Wen Qing, 'He is here, suffering with you after so many opportunities to leave and let someone else take over, I think that speaks volumes of his dedication to you.'

'He's here because he wants to keep everyone safe,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Because it is the right thing to do.'

Wen Qing smiled, 'I won't dishonour him and disagree. I know he wants to help us and to see justice prevail but he's here for you. He's here to help and support you,' she said, 'If you were to marry him, I would be delighted for you both, but it would not make anything better or allow anything to be seen in a better light because you acted properly. If anything, it would put us all at further risk. If you write to Zewu-Jun and ask for permission to marry his brother, who still stands as heir to the sect until Zewu-Jun has children, if he is merciful the worst he will do is take Lan Wangji away and put someone else in his place. At worst, if your wishes were exposed, then the world would say you seduced him, that you used some evil magic to ensnare the virtuous Lan Wangji and that would be all they'd ever need to end this the way they want to.'

'And Lan Zhan would have to live with the shame of it,' said Wei Wuxian, staying in his seat as the small hand circled his wrist.

'There is no shame and he would know it. He'd know the truth,' said Wen Qing, 'I didn't mean to upset you. Look, even if things went well, we'd be no better off. I actually think Zewu-Jun would be happy, if he was in a position to be so, if you and Lan Wangji wanted to marry. Right now though, Lan Wangji is our voice. He is able to stand apart from us and speak for us in an arena we are no longer permitted to enter. The moment the outside world believes he is more to you than a former friend who is now in a position of authority over you, we lose our voice and our hope that there is someone fighting for us.'

Wei Wuxian sighed, 'I hadn't thought of it that way,' he said, 'I just...if we're going to step back into the world one day, I want them to say we always behaved as we should.'

'Maybe but who is to know?' said Wen Qing, 'We women may have a heavier burden upon us but I know there are a great deal of young men who go to their marriage bed with far more knowledge than tradition would say they should have. You and Lan Wangji have no fear of there being a child outside of marriage so what happens between you, stays between you.'

Wei Wuxian felt the blush rush onto his cheeks, brushing at the flakes of mud that clung to his clothes as he avoided Wen Qing's gaze. 'I can't believe I'm having this conversation with you.'

'Neither can I,' said Wen Qing, 'Which is really the point. You should be talking to Lan Wangji about this. It concerns him far more than it concerns me and he will have his own opinions. Though he may have a deplorable taste in men, he's a clever man and so are you, you can work this out together.'

'I hope so,' said Wei Wuxian, nudging his shoulder against hers gently, 'Thank you. I don't know what I'd do without you to tell me off and set me straight sometimes.'

'We're family,' said Wen Qing, 'It's my job. That and I have grown rather fond of you, even if you drive me mad on a daily basis.'

'We're family, it's my job,' said Wei Wuxian, earning himself a laugh in response, the sound bright and clear, soothing him after the stresses of the morning.

'Don't get soft,' said Wen Qing, 'I know that look on your face. Save that for Lan Wangji. Let's get this plot done. By the time it's finished, he should be home.'

They worked in companionable silence, the only words spoken being when Wen Qing told him to slow his pace to save his still healing back or for Wei Wuxian to warn her of an stubborn rock or two that would need to be dug out before they planted anything.

The sun brought with it a welcome warmth which had been missing for months, not hot enough to be stifling but comforting with the promise of spring. The year before, the sun had brought them out of the shock and the constant fear of a winter with barely any food and no support, their meagre purses dwindled to nothing from where they had had to spend everything on staying alive. Though they had new struggles to contend with, more so since Jin Zixuan's letter that morning, Wei Wuxian felt far more hope in the sun than he had the year before.

Thoughts of the sun seemed to conjure the small part of it that had been bound to the earth, A-Yuan's soft, sweet voice calling out as he hurried over to them, his tantrum of the morning clearly forgotten. Wei Wuxian wasted no time sweeping him up into his arms despite the protest of his back, the pain testament to the weight A-Yuan had put on with regular meals and therefore something he would never complain of.

'There's my radish,' he said, 'Not so grumpy any more?'

A-Yuan sighed, 'I still want Zhan-gege back.'

'He'll be back soon,' said Wei Wuxian, hearing the longing in his own voice as he spoke, 'I should check the barrier. Would you like to come with me and help?'

A-Yuan nodded, 'Yes,' he said, 'Can you teach me how to make one too?'

'You are a little young to learn such things yet,' said Wen Qing, sharing a sorrowful look with Wei Wuxian, A-Yuan's potential to become a cultivator muted by the name he bore and the views of the world beyond the barrier.

'But you can keep me company,' said Wei Wuxian, chasing away the pout on A-Yuan's lips, 'And we can keep an eye out for Zhan-gege.'

'Can we sing a song so he can find his way back to us?' said A-Yuan, 'One of the pretty songs from Gusu that he taught us.'

'Well do not expect me to sing it as well as he does,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I will not do it justice.'

'Zhan-gege says everyone can be good if they practice,' said A-Yuan, slipping easily to the ground and taking hold of his hand, 'I will sing and play like Zhan-gege one day. Qing-gugu, do you want to come to the barrier and sing too?'

'Not today,' said Wen Qing, 'I have other jobs to do and I'm sure you both have things in hand. If you see A-Ning, can you tell him about the rocks here that need moving?'

'We'll hunt for him on our way,' said Wei Wuxian, the insistent tug on his hand telling him that A-Yuan was done with waiting.

It didn't take long for A-Yuan to get bored with checking the barrier, even as they sang through several of the Gusu songs Lan Wangji had taught them and then through several of the fishermen's songs Wei Wuxian had learned in his youth that he had to hum several passages to so as to avoid A-Yuan learning any phrases as yet unsuitable for his age. He was an easy child to distract though, the challenge to find suitable sticks for various projects soon occupying him, even if it meant Wei Wuxian having to carrying them. When they finally reached the part of the barrier that met the main path away from their home, A-Yuan protested at going any further, sitting himself down on one of the old ruined walls and staring at the track beyond.

The strange silence of the woods ,with even the sounds of the village muted by the fog and distance from the barrier, always set Wei Wuxian on edge. The absence of sound an alien thing even as A-Yuan's soft chatter tried to fill it. Setting aside the bundle of twigs A-Yuan had collected, he sat himself on a fallen tree trunk and pulled Chenqing from his belt. He played through several of the melodies they had sung together, A-Yuan filling in the words where he remembered them, but soon trailed off, another melody that was hummed over him now almost nightly replacing it.

The song Lan Wangji had once sung to him when he had been sick and feverish after their battle with Tulu Xuanwu had always been comforting but, in the weeks since their hearts had been laid bare for one another, the notes had carried a deeper meaning. He did not need to ask who the melody had been composed for; the sensation of home that came whenever Lan Wangji hummed it softly as they settled for bed or played it in the companionable silence of the evening was enough.

He had been loved before. He could remember the gentleness of his parents even as the other memories of them were fleeting and unclear. He was certain the memory of it had sustained him until he had found himself loved again, Jiang Yanli reminding him what it was to be special to someone, her faith and her strength a rock for him to cling to whenever he had struggled to find his way in the world. Jiang Cheng as well, though the expression of it had always been strange to anyone viewing it from outside, had loved him once they had found their way to being friends. It had been the love of siblings though, shared between the three of them.

Lan Wangji's love, for he had little doubt of the emotion being anything else, was uniquely his. Something he knew would stand steadfast even if everything they were fighting for came crashing down around them. It was a knowledge that terrified him, wishing at times that their paths had never crossed if only to spare Lan Wangji from the trials Wei Wuxian had brought him. As he tried to imagine the course of his life if he had not met him at the gates of the Cloud Recesses or fought him across the rooftops with two precious jars of Emperor's Smile in his hands, he felt his heart constrict in his chest too tightly before it left a hollowness that only Lan Wangji's return to the Burial Mounds could fill.

He did not realise he had stopped playing until a small hand wrapped gently around his wrist, A-Yuan looking up at him with a small smile.

'Do you miss Zhan-gege?'

Wei Wuxian nodded, 'But he will be back soon.'

'Do you think he will bring sweets?' said A-Yuan, pulling himself up onto the tree trunk.

'I don't know if we have enough money for sweets,' said Wei Wuxian, remembering the promise of toys for the child that Lan Wangji had left with, 'But I am sure he will bring you something special.'

A-Yuan frowned, scratching idly at his head, 'I don't mind if he doesn't bring anything,' he said after a moment, 'I just want him to come home. He gives good hugs.'

'Better than mine?' said Wei Wuxian, laughing at A-Yuan's shriek as he pulled him onto his lap, squeezing him tightly for a moment before they settled, the child happy to snuggle against him as his laughter subsided.

'Both are good,' said A-Yuan, 'I love both of your hugs. Can I sleep in your bed tonight?'

'You're just going to squeeze in if I say no, aren't you?' said Wei Wuxian, the unrepentant grin that met the words reminding him so much of himself that he pitied A-Yuan for learning his bad habits, 'Menace.'

Whatever response A-Yuan was about to make died as his eyes widened and he twisted in Wei Wuxian's arms to face the road as the sound of footsteps cut through the silence.

'Zhan-gege!' he called out, before he frowned at the hazy silhouette in the fog, 'Zhan-gege?'

The footsteps were wrong, too light and short to be Lan Wangji's familiar gait. Though the image was too hazy to make out as Wei Wuxian got to his feet with A-Yuan held tight to him, he knew the stature and even the colour of the clothes were wrong. He had grown used to Lan Wangji in darker colours, the dark blue he had worn to leave the mountain not matching the paler hues now emerging through the mist.

Wei Wuxian set A-Yuan on his feet, the boy not needing to be told to hurry behind him as he brought Chenqing to hand.

'Who's there?' he called, the mists parting a little more as the figure continued up the path to them, 'What business do you have here?'

'I came to visit an old friend.'

The voice was feminine and familiar but Wei Wuxian failed to place it until the fog parted enough to let him recognise the face approaching them and he felt a smile light his own.

'Mianmian?' he called, 'You're Mianmian! What are you doing in this awful place?'

'I came to see you,' she replied, stumbling a little as she met the outskirts of the barrier, 'I was in Yiling and I spoke with Hanguang-Jun. I was going to return with him but he was waylaid by a villager in need of help with a resentful spirit. I said it would be good for him to act on it as the villager knew he was from here. Let the Burial Mounds be known as a place that can offer help. He gave me this to prove we had spoken of me coming to visit and he asked me to bring up the purchases he made in Yiling.'

Wei Wuxian hesitated for a moment as Mianmian held out a familiar jade pendant, his mind flitting to several awful scenarios that had him wishing to fly down the mountain as fast as his feet would carry him and search until he had found Lan Wangji unharmed. He knew the woman before him to be a friend though, honest and supportive, Lan Wangji having shared long ago the story of her very public abandonment of the Jin Sect in support for those in the Burial Mounds.

'You're Wen Yuan, aren't you?' said Mianmian, her smile soft as her eyes fell upon the child watching around Wei Wuxian's legs, unaware of the turmoil in his head, 'I am friends with Hanguang-Jun. He told me you were taking care of things here for him.'

A-Yuan stepped forward, poking at the barrier as he reached it, 'You know Zhan-gege?' he said, 'Why didn't he come home?'

'He was helping someone,' said Mianmian, 'But I'm sure he will not be far behind.'

'I hope he has been honest with you as to how you will find us,' said Wei Wuxian, pushing aside any darker thoughts and lowering the barrier, 'We're not much but you're welcome to a place beside the fire.'

'Thank you, Wei-gongzi,' said Mianmian with a bow before she corrected herself, 'I am sorry, Wei-Zongzhu.'

'Not you as well,' muttered Wei Wuxian, raising the barrier once more as Mianmian stepped inside, 'I don't want a title here. You'll see why when we reach the village. Let me carry those.'

Mianmian handed over the bag Lan Wangji had left with empty, the contents at least heavy enough to tell Wei Wuxian he had managed to find most of what was needed. He tucked the pendant she handed him into the collar of his robes, the jade cool against his skin and forcing him to repress a shiver.

'What's your name?' said A-Yuan, tugging on Mianmian's skirts, 'You're pretty.'

Mianmian smiled, 'Wen-gongzi is too kind,' she said, crouching down to him, 'My name is Luo Qingyang.'

'But Xian-gege called you different?' said A-Yuan, 'He called you Mianmian.'

'That's because Xian-gege has bad manners,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Which you will not be picking up. Say hello properly.'

A-Yuan nodded seriously before he bowed neatly, 'It is nice to meet you Luo-guniang.'

'It is very nice to meet you too, Wen-gongzi,' said Mianmian bowing in return, 'Thank you for allowing me to visit.'

'Zhan-gege said you could come so you can come,' said A-Yuan, 'Can Luo-guniang come to the village, Xian-gege? I can show her my reading.'

'She's more than welcome to,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Why don't you lead the way for us?'

A-Yuan took to his task with relish, hurrying ahead before beckoning them to follow him.

'Where was this villager that Lan Zhan went to help?' said Wei Wuxian, the little knot in his gut still too tight for him to ignore.

'The outskirts of Yiling,' said Mianmian, 'They have been having difficulty it seems, a lot of cultivators won't help on account of their fear that Jin-Xiandu will punish them if they do on account of some of Yiling's trade being directed up here to help you. The ones that do offer to help are asking ridiculous prices as well, claiming proximity to the Burial Mounds makes things more difficult which is ridiculous.'

Wei Wuxian sighed, 'How many more innocent people will he have suffer?' he said, 'How did you come to be in town? Has word spread so far of Yiling's difficulties?'

'I travel a lot,' said Mianmian, 'Use my skills to help where I can, learn new ones when I meet someone with something to teach. I had planned to come up and visit if I could find a guide to bring me here. Meeting Hanguang-Jun was a lucky chance though it took me a moment to recognise him.'

'We have no need for fine clothes here,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Nor the purse to buy them.'

'Don't think I offer any judgement for it,' said Mianmian, 'Those who support Jin-Xiandu might have it that you live in some palace with looted wealth and a thousand captives but those whose word I trust speak much differently.'

'A thousand captives,' said Wei Wuxian with a bitter laugh, 'We'd at least have someone to do all the work if I did. The only captives here are those of us unable to leave until a decision is made on how guilty we are.'

'Believe me when I say that I am not the only one who thinks the situation is farcical,' said Mianmian, her voice growing quieter as A-Yuan turned around from further head and smiled before skipping on again, 'Wen Ruohan hurt us all, his soldiers hurt us all but not his farmers, not children. How many here are cultivators?'

Wei Wuxian sighed, 'Discounting me, Wen Qing and Wen Ning, and Lan Zhan of course. Ten in total who could truly claim the title, the rest are farmers and merchants and their families. Of the ten here, several are old and beyond having the ability to lift a sword, the rest are broken by the war. They never wanted to fight but that choice wasn't theirs. Jin-Xiandu knows as much but he...'

'I know,' said Mianmian, 'I heard enough even before I left. He was always determined to make them all monsters. If anyone challenged him about how he was holding them, he would name those who had died fighting as though everyone with the name Wen was guilty of their deaths. I hope, for the sake of those bearing his name, that there is not a day when the world thinks the same of him.'

'I hope so too,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Let's just hope enough people have learned from the errors of the past. Perhaps we should speak on other things, A-Yuan hears too much and I say too much. Besides, I want to hear of your adventures now you are out in the world on your own.'

'There is not much to tell,' said Mianmian, 'To start it was a daunting prospect to strike out on my own but I found that people were kind. I have travelled, met interesting people, done what I can to ensure there is goodness and safety in the world. I am content. I am...oh...'

Wei Wuxian followed her gaze, realising they had stepped into the village as they had spoken, or what passed for one in their small part of the world. He had grown used to it, the rag tag buildings made with wood that didn't match, several walls propped up where they had sagged into their foundations because of the rain, the half turned fields and ruined pathways they had not found suitable stone to complete. The poverty and degradation of the place had become so familiar and he had known the value of their home lay more in the people than their surroundings but, with Mianmian at his side, he saw once more what the outsiders did. A sad, sorry place filled with sad, sorry people scraping what living they could from the barren land.

'Wei-gongzi...'

'You should say hello to Wen Qing and Wen Ning,' said Wei Wuxian, his tone too bright, 'They will like to see a familiar face and then I will introduce you to the others. Some are a little shy around strangers though. A-Yuan, find Qing-gugu and tell her we have a guest.'

'I will,' said A-Yuan, his beaming smile chasing away a little of the tension Wei Wuxian felt around them, the child ignorant in a way only he could be of the world that surrounded them.

'The stories...' said Mianmian, 'Don't say...'

'I wonder even if those who have seen it tell of all they have witnessed here,' said Wei Wuxian, 'The winter has been a hard one. A few weeks and we would have been in a better place to receive guests. I should scold Lan Zhan soundly when he comes back for inviting guests when we are not suitable company.'

Mianmian snapped in a breath before turning to him and bowing deeply, 'I am sorry, Wei-gongzi, I never meant to cause any offence,' she said, 'I did not...'

'Mianmian, it's alright,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I am not ignorant of what we are. It is a shock I am sure, especially when you have heard story of my palace. We're humble but that doesn't mean we're inhospitable. If you can cope with the roughness, you will find the warmth. Hopefully Zewu-Jun sent better tea than the vile Gusu blend he saddled us with in the last delivery. Lan Zhan was the only one who could stomach much of it. Come and say hello, we're getting some curious looks and I will need to introduce you soon or they'll start forming their own opinions.'

He felt a little pride settle next to the constant worry in his chest as he took Mianmian round to those present and introduced her. Some recalled her name from Lan Wangji's story of her defection from the Jin sect in defence of Wei Wuxian and welcomed her warmly for it. A handful were more wary, outsiders often prompting them to shy away, but Mianmian was gentle and patient, complimenting the work she was shown.

When A-Yuan came along, tugging Wen Qing and Wen Ning by the hands behind him, they finally settled inside the room they often ate in together. Whilst Wen Qing began with a small edge of suspicion, she soon relaxed as Mianmian shared what she knew of the outside world's perception of them and the promises to right any assumptions she heard that were incorrect. Wen Ning was mostly shy and silent, A-Yuan sensing his discomfort and staying close to him, happy to carry the conversation in his own way.

It carried a strange sense of normality, of conversation and days long passed. Wei Wuxian could almost close his eyes and remember the occasions where they had shared meals between lectures at the Cloud Recesses, sect names and loyalties put aside in a few brief, stolen moments where they were just young people finding their way in the world. As it had been then though, one presence was absent. Where before Wei Wuxian would have been simply curious as to where the strange boy who fascinated him took himself when the rest of them sat together, now he felt the absence of him like a physical wound, his mind drifting from the conversation and down towards Yiling.

'...I heard there was a storyteller who was moving from town to town, telling of the horrors of Meng Yao and his intrigues. A storyteller who always carried an elegant fan.'

Wei Wuxian shook his head, turning his attention back to the conversation as Mianmian continued with her tale.

'I've not encountered him yet but I have a feeling I would be able to address him by name,' she said, 'There's talk of palaces and the fearsome Yiling Laozu but there are others who are trying to spread the truth and more and more people are listening.'

'With all the stories, I hope one day everyone realises all we want is peace,' said Wen Qing, 'I'd happily go as far as they want us to go, live quietly and grow old.'

'Can Xian-gege and Zhan-gege come too?' said A-Yuan, 'I want to be with them always. You will come won't you, Xian-gege?'

Wei Wuxian smiled, reaching across to pinch at the soft, round cheek, 'If the world allows me. I will always be with you, little radish.'

'And Zhan-gege,' said A-Yuan, 'He has to come too. I love him and you were always sad without him. Now he's back, you smile lots and...'

'A-Yuan,' said Wen Qing, 'Didn't you want to show Luo-guniang one of your books? The light will be fading soon and it's not so easy to read by the candlelight.'

A-Yuan nodded, 'Xian-gege, will you come with me?' he said, wriggling down from Wen Ning's lap, 'I want you to come with me.'

Despite the sunny disposition that always surrounded the child, the outside world and the prospect that even he understood of how easily they could be parted was as real to him as it was to any of them. Though Mianmian had kept the conversation light and friendly, she was still someone unknown to him and Wei Wuxian could sense the nervousness in the small hand that came to take his.

'Must I fetch and carry everything for you?' he said with mock exasperation, 'Luo-guniang will go back into the world and tell them that the feared Yiling Laozu is nothing more than a put upon housewife.'

Soft laughter followed him as he got to his feet, following A-Yuan back to the room he shared with Lan Wangji, waiting by the doorway as the child headed to where his books were stored.

'Is Luo-guniang coming to be in Zhan-gege's place?' said A-Yuan, his voice small as he turned back to face Wei Wuxian with one of his books cradled in his hands, 'Will he come back to say goodbye?'

Wei Wuxian smiled, beckoning A-Yuan to his side and tapping a finger against his trembling bottom lip and chasing away the threat of tears. 'Luo-guniang is only visiting,' he said, 'She is a friend from when we were younger and wants to help us. Zhan-gege will be home soon.'

'Promise?'

'I promise,' said Wei Wuxian, 'He will be home before we know it, with a story to tell I'm sure. Zhan-gege won't leave us. He won't leave you.'

'Or you,' said A-Yuan, 'I miss him.'

'I miss him too,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Come on, let's make sure Luo-guniang goes back to tell everyone just how clever Wen Yuan is.'

A-Yuan beamed, hugging his book tight to his chest before he bounded back towards the door, the worry of moments before forgotten.

Chapter 17: Five Rules

Notes:

Hello all. This chapter is fluff central, I hope you enjoy it. It's the school holidays here next week so my Small Person will be home so I won't have much time for writing. To that end, please anticipate a new chapter in about two weeks rather than the usual one. Lots of familiar faces returning in the next chapter. x

Chapter Text

Another indignant squawk met his ear as Lan Wangji negotiated the barrow over a rockier part of the road.

'I know,' he said, glad no one was around to hear him, 'Not much further.'

He knew it would be easier with someone else to help guide the barrow over the terrain but he did not want to risk abandoning it to travel to the barrier and wait for assistance.

His arm ached with the effort, the cut beneath his shoulder thin but protesting with every movement as his golden core set about healing it. It had been a foolish mistake, thinking too many steps ahead and trying something he was unpractised in rather than despatching the ferocious ghost he had found as he had been trained to. He blamed the restlessness of the months in the Burial Mounds and of having grown used to working with Wei Wuxian at his side, expecting someone to guard his side rather than being mindful of it himself. It would be a memory only by nightfall though, nothing to trouble him after a good night's sleep.

Another squawk was his punishment as he bumped over another rock, coming to a halt as the edge of the barrow hit the first barrier. He reached out and pressed a finger to it, summoning someone to come and lower it for him. It was a strange sensation to be barred from his own home, used to be able to come and go as he pleased even if he didn't choose to do so often. He was glad the barrier felt strong enough to repel him if he tried it though, preferring the strangeness of having to wait if it meant the people he cared for were protected.

'Zhan-gege! Zhan-gege! You came home!'

The voice met him long before even the sound of running feet did, A-Yuan soon appearing through the fog and fading light with Wei Wuxian not far behind, scooping him up before he could run into the barrier and do himself any damage.

'Of course I came home,' he said, 'Did Luo-guniang not pass on my message?'

'She did,' said Wei Wuxian, his voice soft with something Lan Wangji couldn't quite place, 'But we weren't expecting you to be away as long, we...are those chickens?'

'Chickens!' cried A-Yuan, his shout setting them clucking away in the cages, already upset with the indignity of being bumped along in a barrow all the way from Yiling.

'Payment from the villager I assisted,' said Lan Wangji as Wei Wuxian lowered the barrier, struggling to keep hold of A-Yuan as the child wriggled to get to the barrow, 'I told them none was required as they had little money but they insisted they understood the pressures we were under here and wouldn't take no for an answer. I am told they are young and produce eggs almost daily. They will be useful.'

'They...A-Yuan, you'll have my arm off,' said Wei Wuxian, settling the boy down as he nearly threw himself backwards out of his grip, 'Do not run and do not startle the chickens.'

A-Yuan at least avoided shouting as he hurried to the barrow, cooing and giggling as the chickens clucked at his presence.

Lan Wangji smiled at A-Yuan's excitement, hoping it would be a good lesson in patience and kindness for him to help tend their new livestock. He saw a similar gentle look pass over Wei Wuxian's face, love and fondness commonplace in his countenance whenever he was with the youngest of their family. As he met Lan Wangji's gaze though, his face did something a little more complicated that felt like hurt but also relief as he headed towards him.

'Is everything alright?' he said, 'I didn't feel the alert talisman. You're not angry with me for sending Luo-guniang up without me, are you?'

'No, not at all,' said Wei Wuxian, 'It is wonderful to have her visit but...'

'But?' said Lan Wangji, taking his hand when he grew close enough, 'Wei Ying?'

'You were gone for so long,' said Wei Wuxian quietly, pressing close to his side as A-Yuan remained focused on the chickens, 'I was worried.'

'I'm sorry,' said Lan Wangji, 'I thought sending Luo-guniang back in advance of me would assuage any fears. I could not leave someone in need and it only helps us if the common people see those from the Burial Mounds as people they can rely on for aid.'

Wei Wuxian smiled though it did not quite reach his eyes, 'And it gets us chickens,' he said, 'I'm glad you're home.'

Lan Wangji smiled, 'I am glad to be home.'

'I'm glad you're home too, Zhan-gege,' said A-Yuan, abandoning the chickens and instead wrapping his arms around Lan Wangji's waist, perching his chin on his hip to stare up at him, 'Xian-gege made a sad face even when he said you would come home.'

Lan Wangji stroked his hair with his free hand, his other squeezing Wei Wuxian's. 'I'm sorry if I worried you both.'

'I read my book to Luo-guniang,' said A-Yuan proudly, 'She said I did well. She only had to help me with a few bits.'

'He did read well,' said Wei Wuxian, 'We were all very proud.'

'Well then, so am I,' said Lan Wangji, 'You are learning so much and tomorrow you can learn how to build a house for our new friends and how to take care of them. If we are kind and patient, they can give us more food.'

A-Yuan beamed, 'I will build them a nice house,' he said, 'With a bed like yours and Xian-gege's where it is safe? I'm going to sleep in your bed tonight, Xian-gege said I could,'

'Mn,' said Lan Wangji, 'We will all be safe together. We should get inside.'

'Can I help push?' said A-Yuan, as Lan Wangji picked up the handles of the barrow once more and began to manoeuvre it up the hill as Wei Wuxian raised and tightened the barrier once they had passed it.

'How about you run ahead and tell Si-Shu that we need somewhere to keep five grumpy chickens and I'll help Zhan-gege push,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Mind you don't stumble on any of the tree roots. It's getting dark.'

Where A-Yuan normally ran ahead, happy with the task he had been given he instead frowned and hesitated, regaining his hold around Lan Wangji's waist.

'I missed you lots,' he said quietly, 'I was scared you would go away.'

His lower lip trembled before he pressed his face into Lan Wangji's side, shoulders shaking a little as Lan Wangji carefully lowered the barrow so he could instead pick him up once he had coaxed him away from his waist.

'Look at me,' he said, lifting A-Yuan's face from where he had pressed it against his neck the moment he was in his arms, 'A-Yuan. Look at me, little radish.'

Deep, wide eyes met his, the worry in them mixing with Lan Wangji could only imagine was the worry of losing someone he loved again. Though A-Yuan did not often mention his parents, Lan Wangji could see the agony only being an orphan could bring to a child.

'I am never leaving you,' he said, the promise a solemn one and one he intended to keep however much it cost him, 'I am here and I am with you now. I won't ever leave you.'

'What if someone makes you?' said A-Yuan, 'What if someone takes you away?'

'They are very welcome to try but they may not like the outcome,' said Lan Wangji, 'The only time I will leave the Burial Mounds for good is when you leave them with me because we have decided to find another place to build our home.'

'Can Xian-gege and Popo and Ning-shushu and Qing-gugu and everyone come too?' said A-Yuan.

'Everyone,' said Lan Wangji, 'All our family.'

'Even the chickens?'

'Even the chickens,' said Lan Wangji, pressing back against Wei Wuxian's hand as it came to rest against his back, 'All of us. Together. I won't ever leave you, A-Yuan.'

A-Yuan sniffed before he offered him a wobbly smile, arms curling a little tighter around his neck as his legs wrapped around his waist.

'I think you will need to assist me, Wei Ying,' said Lan Wangji, 'I arrived with chickens and now have a radish.'

'Well it is nearly time for supper,' said Wei Wuxian, taking up one handled of the barrow as Lan Wangji shifted A-Yuan onto one arm to pick up the other, 'You could make a soup.'

'Xian-gege, we can't eat the chickens. They're new friends,' said A-Yuan, 'Will they lay lots of eggs?'

'When they are settled, I hope they will,' said Lan Wangji, 'But we must be patient and take good care of them.'

'I will take care of them,' said A-Yuan, 'And make sure Xian-gege doesn't eat them.'

Wei Wuxian laughed, 'Do you think you can stop me?' he said, with mock threat, 'I am the terrifying Yiling Laozu.'

'You're silly,' said A-Yuan, giggling as they bumped along a rockier part of the path and the chickens squawked indignantly, 'Even the chickens say so.'

'Mocked by livestock,' said Wei Wuxian, his head dropping onto Lan Wangji's shoulder, 'Lan Zhan, my reputation! What am I to do?'

'Accept that small children and poultry fail to cower before you,' he replied, 'Then you will know peace.'

The shocked bark of laughter that left Wei Wuxian startled the chickens into further squawking, 'I forget how funny you are when you want to be,' he said, before his voice softened, 'I'm glad you're home, Lan Zhan.'

Lan Wangji brushed the faintest kiss against the dark hair against his shoulder, pressing a similar brief kiss to A-Yuan's forehead to avoid any pouting. He ignored the sudden voice in his head that told him the peace he felt wash over him as he walked beside Wei Wuxian with A-Yuan in his arms would only ever be fleeting, that it was foolish to make promises the world would not let him keep. He knew it was a dangerous path to tread but he knew as well that it was one he was glad to walk, even if his happiness could be brought to an abrupt end. However his association with the Burial Mounds and all who lived there had begun, he knew he would share in their fate and remain beside them until the end regardless of how it came to be.

They were thankfully able to hand the chickens over to someone more qualified to settle them for the night when they reached the village, people busy with the last tasks of the day before heading inside for their supper.

Though they were sensible with their rations, a day when a delivery was sent was always ended with a fine meal that used up anything that would not keep alongside several things that were best served when they were fresh. It felt like the warmest welcome home, the lanterns lit and the fire warm as they headed to join their friends. Lan Wangji was glad to see Mianmian sat happily with Wen Ning, Wen Qing and Wen Popo, the latter holding her arms open for her grandson who happily wriggled down from Lan Wangji's hold to run to her.

The tears and worry that A-Yuan had met Lan Wangji with at the barrier seemed to melt away in the warmth of the room, the boy providing ample entertainment as they ate. Though he knew Mianmian's voice would not be loud in the outside world, he hoped at least that stories of their hospitality and their gentleness would return with her. The barrier might keep the threat from their door but he hoped it would not be something as solid forever, allowing allies to come and go whenever it was safe for them to do so. To know they had one friend in the world would be enough to bring them some comfort in the darker days though. Hoping that, even if their story did come to an abrupt end, there would be someone who would tell the world that the Wens of the Burial Mounds, the fledgling YilingWei Sect, was a peaceful and generous place even if they had little to spare. That a stranger could sit at their table and be treated as a friend.

Though he had grown used to the later hours they kept, Lan Wangji still felt a weariness begin to settle over him as the twilight began to tip over into night, wanting nothing more than to move to the part of the night when he could lay down beneath the familiar blankets, A-Yuan snuggled and softly snoring between him and Wei Wuxian until the morning. Though he was able to win the battle against his tiredness, the youngest member of their party was losing ground fast, A-Yuan's eyes heavy as he lulled against his grandmother.

It was the moment that he nearly flung himself onto the floor as he violently wrenched himself from a doze at the sound of Wei Wuxian's laughter that his grandmother got to her feet, lifting him carefully in his arms.

'Time for bed,' she said, tickling his cheek gently, 'Say goodnight.'

'Goodnight,' murmured A-Yuan sleepily before he forced his eyes open, 'No. I'm not tired. I want to stay.'

'You need your rest if you want to help me build a house for the chickens and have your lessons tomorrow,' said Lan Wangji.

'I want to stay with you,' said A-Yuan, 'You said I could sleep with you and Xian-gege tonight.'

Lan Wangji heard Wei Wuxian's gasp, turning to see his eyes turned to Mianmian who blushed a little as she looked between them before she offered them a small smile.

'Children make little sense when they're tired,' she said, A-Yuan luckily too tired to counter her as he dozed once more against his grandmother's shoulder, 'I should be on my way as well. I have lodgings in Yiling but I do not want to arrive too late.'

'You are welcome to stay the night if it is easier,' said Wen Qing, 'We can make room. The journey to Yiling isn't nice at night.'

Mianmian smiled, 'I've travelled in worse,' she said, 'And I have taken advantage of your hospitality long enough. It has been so good to see you all, to see you well despite everything. For what it is worth, please know that I will do all I can to make sure people know the truth of this place. I hope those that need to come to their senses soon.'

'Don't we all,' said Wei Wuxian, 'But I'm glad we have one more friend beyond the barrier.'

'And hopefully I won't be the last,' said Mianmian, as they all rose to their feet, 'Thank you for taking care of me today.'

She bowed neatly to Wen Ning and Wen Qing before turning to where A-Yuan was now fast asleep in his grandmother's arms.

'He is a fine young man,' she said, 'You should be very proud of him.'

'Thank you for showing him there are people from the world outside that do not look down on him for his name. I should take him to his bed.'

'Take him to mine,' said Wei Wuxian, 'If he wakes and finds he's in his own he'll go wondering about in the dark again. I'll see Mianmian to the barrier and then I won't be long.'

Calls of farewell followed them as Lan Wangji followed Mianmian and Wei Wuxian to the exit, collecting Bichen from where he had left it resting against the wall on his return. The night was fast encroaching on the mountain as they passed the freshly tilled beds awaiting planting.

'It is amazing what you are doing here,' said Mianmian, 'Perhaps the YilingWei sect isn't such a foolish thought.'

'I would be happy if we were a village that the rest of the world left to get on with living,' said Wei Wuxian, 'But I shouldn't steal the praise from those who have worked hard on it. It is amazing what everyone here has managed to achieve, even before we had help from outside. We have turned Lan Zhan into a farmer.'

'I admit I didn't recognise you, Hanguang-Jun, until I saw your ribbon,' said Mianmian, 'But you looked content.'

'My time here has been greatly worthwhile, not least for aiding those who need me,' said Lan Wangji, as they began the walk to the barrier, 'Will you allow me to escort you to Yiling? Night will have fallen fully before you reach the outskirts, even by sword.'

'Thank you but I will be fine, as I said to Wen-guniang, I have grown used to travelling through worse and at a far later hour,' said Mianmian, 'And A-Yuan wanted to be with you. It would be unkind of me to steal you away.'

He didn't dare look to Wei Wuxian, not when it had been him and not Lan Wangji who had instructed A-Yuan to be taken to his bed.

'Don't look so worried,' said Mianmian, 'I won't say a word. I wish you all luck for the future and if you need me, don't hesitate to send for me. I'll do all I can to help you.'

'Thank you,' said Wei Wuxian, weight given not just to her offer but her promise as well, 'And if you need us, there is always a place here. If we are ever doing more than just scraping a life together here, I want this to be a place where anyone in need can find rest and safety.'

The remainder of the short journey to the barrier was passed in easy conversations and promises to meet again in the near future if circumstances allowed. Lan Wangji repeated his offer to escort their friend back to her lodgings but Mianmian once more declined and he was sure it was not just pride or her wish to spare him the journey that prompted it, her life as a lone cultivator rather than part of a sect no doubt leading itself to knowing how to care for herself on the road. Still, without even having to discuss it, both he and Wei Wuxian headed beyond the barrier with her once it was lowered and reinstated, walking beside her through the gloom until they reached a suitable point for her to fly from.

As she slowly disappeared from view and into the dark, Lan Wangji felt the worry settle upon him, worry that the wrong words would be spoken and that the love they had found amidst the hardship of their lives would be turned into a weapon against them.

'We don't need to worry about her, I'm sure,' said Wei Wuxian, concern lacing his words as he took Lan Wangji's hand, 'But we should caution A-Yuan about strangers, we...'

'Let's talk behind the barrier,' said Lan Wangji, 'We know we're watched.'

He kept hold of Wei Wuxian's hand despite the worry, needing to ground himself with the touch after a day of being separated. The sensation of the barrier being raised once more as they stepped back inside was a relief, bringing with it a peace that Lan Wangji had not realised he relied upon until he had spent so long beyond it.

Rather than make for the path back to the village, he tugged Wei Wuxian towards the long shadows given by the twisted trees, pulling him into a hug as the darkness enveloped them. He frowned as it was returned twice as tightly, Wei Wuxian's frame made slim by rations and his cultivation and feeling all too slight beneath his hands.

'Are you alright?' said Lan Wangji, 'I am sure Luo-guniang will keep our confidence. She is a good friend.'

'I know,' said Wei Wuxian, 'But we do need to talk to A-Yuan about what he says to strangers, even if we are playing host to them. Today's been strange. You being gone for so long was awful and Mianmian coming to visit just reminded me that the world is moving without us but still controlling us.'

Lan Wangji pressed a kiss to his temple, 'I'm sorry I was gone for so long,' he said, 'Next time will be better planned.'

Wei Wuxian sighed, 'You can come and go as you please,' he said, 'You don't have to report to us.'

'I might not have to report,' said Lan Wangji, 'But I should tell the people I care about where I am and how long I will be away for. Did A-Yuan like the toys I sent?'

'He was more concerned with his pretty new friend,' said Wei Wuxian, with a small laugh, 'We'll have to watch that boy, Lan Zhan, he charms the world.'

'He is a good boy,' said Lan Wangji, 'And so very innocent. I'm reluctant to upset him by telling him he should be more guarded about what he reveals to people. He knows us as we are and I don't want him second guessing himself. His honesty is his greatest gift.'

'But if outside finds out...' began Wei Wuxian, his head thumping gently against Lan Wangji's shoulder, 'The silly thing is...'

'Silly thing?' said Lan Wangji, raising a hand to stroke his hair, 'Wei Ying, what is worrying you?'

'Do you remember this morning when Wen Qing told us about the baby and we said we should make sure everything is done properly so the world can't judge us for doing things wrong?' he said, 'I started to think...we're not wrong, you and me, we're so far from wrong but if this was out there, if we were the men we used to be, we wouldn't be permitted to share a bed every night without a marriage. There'd be permission and ceremonies and negotiations on who would live where and how. I was on the verge of writing to Zewu-Jun to ask for permission to marry you so we were doing things as they should be but I can't because if he knows he'll take you away and everyone will think I tricked you and it makes sense to keep it quiet but at the same time it is so wrong because I love you and I want this to be good and right and honourable because there's not a lot of me left that lives up to that and I...'

'Wei Ying,' said Lan Wangji, keeping his hands gentle even as his mind spun with the words so easily uttered in his lover's worry, 'Wei Ying, my love, stop worrying. We'll marry when we can do so with all the people we care about present. I want all the world to see you become my husband. For now, we know us, and I would not give up sleeping beside you and showing you how I love you for all the propriety in the world.'

Wei Wuxian's eyes were red rimmed and shining with unshed tears in the thin moonlight as he raised his head to look at him. 'You love me?'

Lan Wangji nodded, kissing him before he rested their foreheads together, 'Did you doubt?' he said, before a small smile came to his lips, 'Or did you fear I had sent Luo-guniang up here to be my bride?'

Wei Wuxian laughed, knuckles bashing lightly against his shoulder, 'Trust you to remember that,' he said, 'And to flog me with it when I'm trying to fathom how I ever became worthy of someone like you loving me.'

'I love you because you are good and right and honourable,' said Lan Wangji, mimicking his words from moments before, 'That you kept the oath we made as boys and fulfilled it with great personal cost but never stopped smiling as you did. I love you because you are my dearest friend, the person who makes it possible for me to laugh at myself, who has helped me find out who I truly am and live a life I am proud to lead.'

'Lan Zhan,' said Wei Wuxian, his voice catching as he spoke, 'I think I preferred it when you were silent with me. How can I compete with such an eloquent declaration and not sound a fool?'

'With ease,' said Lan Wangji, 'Answer me this. Do you love me?'

'I love you,' he answered, 'With all I have and all I am. I love you so very much, Lan Zhan.'

The kiss he pressed to Wei Wuxian's lips did nothing to hide the smile he knew he wore, heart beating a rapid tattoo against his ribs in an effort to reach its mate in Wei Wuxian's chest.

'That is all I ever need to hear,' he said, 'And all we need for now. Our focus, as always, needs to be the people we care for. We may have more support than we thought beyond the barrier but we're not free yet. Let our wedding be the first the YilingWei Sect celebrates when it takes its rightful place in the world.'

Wei Wuxian smiled, his face far softer than the one he usually shared with the world, open and afraid but determined in the same heartbeat. 'You're so convinced it will happen. I'm almost starting to believe it will myself,' he said, 'Even if I would be happy for us just to be given a boat and told to sail far enough away that they don't have to remember us.'

'Then we will build the sect elsewhere if they do,' said Lan Wangji, 'And then we can train A-Yuan and any who come after him to reach the potential they deserve. We can ensure our doors are always open to those in need, to those who have no other place in the world but can find one in ours.'

'Will the great Hanguang-Jun write a wall of rules for them to follow?' said Wei Wuxian, 'Can you append them with the words “this rule does not apply to Wei-Zongzhu”?'

'They shall all empathically state that the rules should be followed by all from Wei-Zongzhu to the youngest shidi,' said Lan Wangji, 'But we will not need a wall. I think maybe the gate will do. There are only five rules to be observed.'

'Five?' said Wei Wuxian, 'Just five?'

Lan Wangji nodded, 'But they are the five most important. Family, acceptance, sanctuary, bravery and hospitality. If we live by those five rules, I believe we will always be happy.'

Wei Wuxian blinked back the tears in his eyes, 'Then our rules will be on our gate for all to see, with family the most prominent.'

'With that in mind we should return to the current smallest one of ours,' said Lan Wangji, 'He will no doubt have wakened a little when Wen-popo put him down and be waiting for one of us at least to join him. If you don't want to sleep, will you work close by?'

'I don't think I have the focus to work tonight, too much has happened,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Lying beside you and A-Yuan will bring me peace, even if I can't sleep yet. I need to reassure myself you're back and that nothing bad happened today.'

'The only bad thing was the amount of mud that decided to decorate my hems and my boots on the way to Yiling and back,' said Lan Wangji, remembering the one item he had not asked Mianmian to return with, 'I promised you a gift.'

Wei Wuxian laughed brightly, 'I never expected you to get me anything,' he said as Lan Wangji stepped back and removed the wrapped parcel from where it rested against his chest, 'Lan Zhan, tell me you didn't.'

'I made a promise, did I not?' he said, unwrapping it, 'And it is not much but it is useful. Your old one is wearing thin with the exposure.'

Wei Wuxian lifted the leather from the packaging, turning it in his hands to catch the faint moonlight over its surface, 'It's lovely,' he said, 'Will you fasten it for me?'

Lan Wangji nodded, 'In the morning though, it will be uncomfortable to sleep in,' he said, tucking the wrappings away before taking his hand and leading him back towards the village.

The lights were burning low and many appeared to have already headed to their beds, intent in climbing beneath the blankets before the chill night air had been able to catch them. Though it would be easy to turn straight to their own bed, they made sure to check on those still awake, Wen Ning just heading out for his watch as Wen Qing sat with several of her closer relations. She waved them towards the chairs they had vacated, her smile easy and peaceful, but nodded with understanding as they declined just as silently.

With the village peaceful and settled, they returned hand in hand to their own part of it, several candles lit and burning softly inside. The light was enough for them to see the small form of A-Yuan already commandeering much of their bed, snuffling softly in his dreams.

'I think there will be another frost tonight,' said Wei Wuxian, as he wove a protective talisman over the entrance that would alert them to anyone coming in or if A-Yuan tried to leave without waking one of them, 'The thicker wool blanket is under the bed. I think we'll need it, even with the three of us.'

'Xian-gege?' came the sleepy voice from the bed, 'Where are you?'

'We're just coming, little radish.'

'Zhan-gege too?'

'I'm here,' said Lan Wangji, running a hand over the shock of black hair that crowned the sleep mussed face that looked up at him, 'Do you still want to sleep here or shall I take you to Popo?'

'Sleep here,' murmured A-Yuan.

Lan Wangji smoothed the extra blanket over him, easing him gently into a position that would allow both him and Wei Wuxian space to rest as well.

It was with a well practised rhythm that they prepared for bed, A-Yuan stirring occasionally and calling for one of them but settling with a word or a gentle touch. Where before the thin mattress and the rough, threadbare blankets had felt like something to be endured, Lan Wangji now found he no longer wished for anything finer. Though he wanted those he cared for to be warm and comfortable, he knew he would sacrifice both for himself if only to keep the life he had found in the Burial Mounds.

As he settled himself on the bed, A-Yuan cradled carefully between him and Wei Wuxian, he allowed himself to hope for a day when he would have both comfort and companionship. He hoped that the sect they talked of in play and in a faint wish for a better future, would one day be something real and a force for good in the world. He hoped that many would pass through the gates and find sanctuary with them. He hoped that one day he would slip beneath finer covers, lie down on a softer bed but still find the warmth of his beloved beside him.

'Lan Zhan,' said Wei Wuxian as Lan Wangji waved a hand to extinguish the remaining candles, the only light coming from the small fire burning a safe distance from the bed, 'Do you ever think we will build that gate?'

Lan Wangji allowed himself a small smile at the realisation that Wei Wuxian's thoughts had followed a similar thread to his.

'If luck favours us,' he said, 'Then maybe.'

'Is it strange that I find myself wanting it to happen but at the same time not wanting it to?' said Wei Wuxian, 'I feel so unqualified to ever...could I ever deserve to lead anything like a sect?'

Lan Wangji reached across A-Yuan's sleeping body, taking hold of Wei Wuxian's hand in his, 'Far less honourable men have worn the title,' he said, 'I believe if you always act for the good, you can never go wrong.'

'If you're at my side, perhaps I would have a chance.'

'I will always be at your side,' said Lan Wangji, hushing A-Yuan as he stirred, 'Sleep, little radish. We will talk less.'

He heard the faint huff of Wei Wuxian's laugh as A-Yuan settled once more, turning until he was tucked firmly against Lan Wangji who absently pressed a kiss to his head.

'How can we fear for propriety when we have such a permanent chaperone?' said Wei Wuxian, 'I was proud of him today. He is such a sweet, welcoming, bright boy. I wish more could see what a special child he is. I hope his parents know how he is loved, wherever they are beyond this world.'

'I'm sure they do,' said Lan Wangji, 'And I am sure they are grateful to you for saving him and helping to raise him.'

'You're the one teaching him to read and to be a proper young man in all the ways you can,' said Wei Wuxian, his voice growing wistful in its softness as he continued, 'I hope one day you can teach him more. I hope one day he's called da-shixiong by all his eager young shidi and shimei.'

'I will do whatever is in my power to make it happen,' promised Lan Wangji, 'For now, let's just be grateful he is happy and fed and dreaming pleasant dreams.'

'Well he has the best pillow in the place,' said Wei Wuxian, 'If he wasn't so sweet, I would be jealous of him.'

Lan Wangji released his hand, instead draping an arm over his waist as Wei Wuxian moved a little closer to them both, the three of them soon finding a warm cocoon beneath the blankets.

'I'm glad you're home, Lan Zhan,' said Wei Wuxian around a yawn despite his prediction that he would not sleep.

'I'm glad to be home, my love,' said Lan Wangji.

The words hung like a promise in the air around them, a vow to the heavens that the three of them and all those gathered in the makeshift houses beyond their room would move through the world as one and meet whatever awaited them.

As he heard Wei Wuxian's breathing grow even and deep and pressed another soft kiss to A-Yuan's hair, allowing himself to hope for the day he would see the child grown, sword in hand, leaving through the gate they would build with those who had come after him. Strong and secure in their talents and ready to take their place in the wider world.

Chapter 18: Orthodox

Notes:

Hi all, apologies for the long wait for this chapter. It's been a mad couple of weeks but hopefully I am back to weekly updates now. A warning that this chapter contains discussions of canon-typical violence pertaining to the war with Wen Ruohan but nothing is too graphic, definitely not the same as the fluffy chapters we've had previously

Chapter Text

Wei Wuxian frowned as his hand met only body warmed blankets rather than the warm body he had been expecting. He would normally have put it down to Lan Wangji taking A-Yuan back to his own bed after the boy had grown tired of sleeping between them but he hadn't slept with them the night before, his grandmother having persuaded him to sleep in his own bed for once. The gesture had spoken of the Wens' understanding of the pressure that was upon their observer turned protector and friend. All of them giving him the space he had needed since the letter from his brother had arrived several days before.

The letter had not been unexpected after Jin Zixuan's one, news no doubt leaving Jinlintai for the Cloud Recesses moments after it had been sent, unbeknownst by others, to the Burial Mounds. Lan Wangji had received the letter as he usually did, more interested in the small basket of produce that had accompanied it and been left at the barrier without a name attached though it was clear it had not come from any of the gentry clans and instead was more humble in its origins. It had arrived early enough that he had brought it back to their room, leaving it on the table until he had managed to rouse Wei Wuxian from his bed and guide him towards his breakfast.

The first Wei Wuxian had truly known about it, everything to that point having been recounted to him later when his brain had joined the mortal realm, was when Lan Wangji had suddenly grown very still in the seat opposite him. He had dragged himself from the basic instinct of eating the food in front of him as the distress came off his friend in waves, looking up in time to see the letter fall onto the table as Lan Wangji hurried from it. He had been glad that living on edge for so long had meant he could quickly move from half asleep to battle ready, hot on Lan Wangji's heels as he left the room.

There were certain parts of the Burial Mounds that Lan Wangji chose to frequent less often than others, the Blood Pool being one of them, the concentration of resentful energy leaving him uncomfortable. For Wei Wuxian to find Lan Wangji sat beside it had been strange enough, even more as he did so with his shoulders curled in a picture of dejection. Before Lan Wangji had joined them in the Burial Mounds, Wei Wuxian knew he would have had a trial to get the reason for his malaise out of him, but luckily their months together had loosened much of Lan Wangji's stubbornness and reticence to speak.

It was therefore only moments after asking that Lan Wangji revealed that the letter that had begun as it usually did, had contained the expected announcement that Lan Xichen would be visiting after the news from Jinlintai to discuss it in more detail with them all. A letter as they had been anticipating for several days. The additional news with it though had been the trigger for Lan Wangji's sudden departure from their table. Lan Qiren was to join Lan Xichen in his visit to the Burial Mounds and Lan Wangji feared that old prejudice and old wounds would have him seeing not the good people and hard work that made up their lives but instead the shadow of an old enemy and the accents of the resentful nature of Wei Wuxian's cultivation that littered the home they shared.

Though Wei Wuxian had calmed his anxieties as best he could, promising to do all he could to ensure the village was as presentable as it could be and to try to calm the restless spirits that surrounded them from being too apparent, Lan Wangji had been on edge for days afterwards, restless in a way Wei Wuxian had never seen before. A-Yuan at least had seemed able to calm and centre him a little, managing to stay still long enough to attend to his lessons before he was once more prowling the perimeter as though Lan Qiren was coming as a harbinger of something far worse.

The nights had been the worst, Lan Wangji waking almost hourly at times, often rising from their bed to either meditate or softly play his qin until Wei Wuxian encouraged him back to bed. It was no surprise then to find him absent once more but concern flooded Wei Wuxian as he realised he was nowhere in their room. He threw off the covers, shivering at the chill of the room, before he pulled on his boots and wrapped himself in several more layers against the night air. He hurried to the exit, passing his workbench on the way to catch up Chenqing and stuffing it into his belt before making his way into the night.

There were no alarm talismans activated and the barrier remained intact as he reached out to his own sense of it. The village was calm, the only lights the few lanterns they kept burning for those who retired late from the watch or woke early to start the fires. The only sound other than the soft breeze through the gnarled trees that showed no promise of a spring bud was the soft sonorous sound of voices kept low to avoid disturbing others. Voices set high above in their makeshift watch tower.

He looked up to see two dark shadows sat either side of the small, glowing brazier one set of pale hands held towards the heat, hands he knew well and missed holding him as he slept. He made his way to the base, knowing his footsteps were heard as the rope ladder was soon lowered to give him access above. He climbed up, the effort at least chasing off a little of the night's chill.

'Wei Ying,' said Lan Wangji by way of greeting as he reached the platform , 'It is a long way until morning.'

'The bed was cold,' he replied, hearing the small laugh Wen Ning quickly covered with his hand.

'I was restless, I did not wish to wake you,' said Lan Wangji, steadying him as he took the final steps onto the rough floor of the tower.

'If you are able to keep watch from here, it is time for me to check the barrier,' said Wen Ning, getting to his feet and heading to the ladder, 'I'll be back before sunrise if you are happy to keep watch until then.'

'I will remain here until you return,' said Lan Wangji as Wen Ning began his descent.

'I didn't mean to chase him off,' said Wei Wuxian as he disappeared into the gloom below, 'Did I interrupt you?'

Lan Wangji shook his head, leaning over to pull up the ladder as Wen Ning shook it from below. 'No, we were just passing the time,' he said, 'I'm sorry I left but you were sleeping soundly and I did not have the heart to wake you.'

'Worried about today?' said Wei Ying, settling beside him on the thin cushion, close to the heat of the small brazier.

'What else?' said Lan Wangji, 'Wen Ning said he would hide away when they visited but I told him not to. I want them to see him and speak with him, to see that he's still the same man he was before and not what some people would have him painted as. I want them to see the best of us, even if they won't understand it. I'm just...'

'I know,' said Wei Wuxian, wrapping an arm around his shoulders, 'Come here.'

'Wei Ying...' said Lan Wangji, his argument dying as Wei Wuxian tightened his hold.

'You comfort me often enough, it is only right I do the same when you need me,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Come here, my love, and let me hold you.'

He smiled as Lan Wangji relented, shifting from his upright sitting position to lean against Wei Wuxian's shoulder, his hand tucking into the folds of his robes at his waist.

'I know you're worried,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I'm worried too but I'm sure we'll be fine and here's why. Zewu-Jun gave us his protection and sent you here to protect and observe us which is what you are doing. His promise was to care for us until a decision was made on our fate and that decision hasn't been made. It make sense then, given that we have done nothing to break the pact I made with him, that he will not withdraw that care or you.'

'It is not Xiongzhang that I am worried about,' said Lan Wangji, 'Shufu...'

'Hates my guts and wants to decorate the Lan-Shi with my entrails,' said Wei Wuxian, earning a soft half a laugh from the man in his arms, 'You look like him when you get grumpy, you know? Your eyes do something similar when you're angry but that's what comforts me.'

'Comforts you?'

Wei Wuxian smiled, pressing a kiss to his hair, 'It reminds me that he is related to the best person I know. He is related to the kindest, cleverest, most honest and bravest man and therefore those traits, like that look you share, must have come from somewhere.'

'Even if he wants to hang you from your entrails?' said Lan Wangji.

'Haven't you at times too,' said Wei Wuxian tightening his arm around him when he heard his small laugh, 'We're going to get through this as we have got through everything else. Just chuck A-Yuan at him, he wins everyone over.'

'Or A-Yuan will give him the same dressing down he gave Chifeng-Zun,' said Lan Wangji, 'If...when he is older and going out into the world I will remind him of that day. If he could stand up to one of the most renowned and respected cultivators at three, what can't he go out and do.'

'The first disciple of the YilingWei sect,' said Wei Wuxian, pressing his face into Lan Wangji's hair as he fought to keep his voice steady, 'He'd make me so proud. I'm already so proud. He's...I wonder if this is what it feels like to be a father. I love him like he's my own though I think he'd pick his beloved Zhan-Gege over me, he adores you.'

'You clearly do not see how he looks at you too,' said Lan Wangji, raising his head enough to look up at him, 'And I think this is how it does feel. I hope that there are fathers in this world who feel this way about their children. I have no comparison to make.'

Wei Wuxian chased an errant lock of hair back behind his lover's ear as he saw the melancholy pinch of his features at the mention of his own father. 'Don't upset yourself,' he said, 'Comparison or not, you're amazing with him. If he has the chance to look back on this time, I hope he clings to the memories of how he was loved, how he was our sunlight even when the days were grey.'

'I can't leave him, Wei Ying,' said Lan Wangji, his head tucked once more against his heart, 'I can't leave any of them. I can't leave you but Shufu...'

'Will not make a lie of your brother's words by dragging you away unless he has cause to and we have not given him cause,' said Wei Wuxian, 'He's going to shout at me a bit, probably give you one of those looks of his but I really don't think he will do anything to undermine the process that has been agreed. If he does though, well, I'm the feared and terrible Yiling Laozu am I not? I shall just have to kidnap you and keep you here as my prisoner.'

Lan Wangji snorted, 'My love, I would dearly like to see you try.'

'That sounds like a challenge,' said Wei Wuxian.

'A kidnap is only a kidnap if the victim is unwilling,' said Lan Wangji, 'What you're proposing is more akin to an elopement.'

Wei Wuxian smiled, 'If I married you then Lan-Xiansheng could never steal you back.'

'Do not tempt me,' said Lan Wangji, 'I'm anxious enough that I would consent just to let go of this fear and Wei Ying deserves better.'

'If I am married to you, I cannot see how anything could be better,' said Wei Wuxian, rubbing gently at his arm to chase away a little of the tension, 'In the absence of our wedding vows though, could I claim a kiss?'

Any laughter that could have left him at the speed Lan Wangji righted himself was stolen by the warm lips against his and even more so by the worry that would not be relieved until his beloved had seen his family back down the mountain after their visit.

'We'll be alright, Lan Zhan,' he said resting his forehead against his as they parted, the cool press of the charm that marked his sect all too apparent against his skin, 'I won't let you go even if I have to fight the world.'

Lan Wangji was silent, slipping easily back to rest against Wei Wuxian as the dawn began to pink on the far horizon. He could only hope, as he pressed a kiss once more to the crown of his head and his fingers teased around the ribbon that spoke of so much, that they would watch the sunset in a similar fashion when the day came to an end.

****

'Zhan-Gege, Xian-Gege, can I come to the barrier too?'

Wei Wuxian settled the last pin in Lan Wangji's hair before they both turned to the opening of the cave, Lan Wangji's soft gasp augmenting his own at the sight of the child before them. Where A-Yuan was always sporting at least one smear of dirt, hair in disarray from his play, and his clothes in need of repair, now he stood before them in a neat set of newly sewn clothes, his hair combed and smartly tied as he bounced on his toes before them.

'Popo washed my hands and my face and gave me the nice clothes she made from her old pretty ones,' said A-Yuan, 'She said I mustn't run in them and to mind my manners when Zewu-Jun and the others come. I remember Zewu-Jun, he had a nice smile. Is the other man coming? The one who shouted at Xian-Gege? I'll tell him to be nice again if he starts to shout.'

'Chifeng-Zun isn't coming this time,' said Lan Wangji, 'But you will get to meet my Shufu. He will be kind to you but he is very strict. You should address him as Lan-Xiansheng. Do you think you can do that for me?'

A-Yuan nodded, tucking his hands neatly behind his back, 'I can,' he said, 'Zhan-Gege and Xian-Gege look so pretty.'

'Ah, I am thrown into a poor light next to our handsome Hanguang-Jun,' said Wei Wuxian, straightening his own fine black and crimson robes, 'But I thank you for my share of the compliment. As young Wen-Gongzi looks so grown up in his new clothes, I think it is only right he should join us at the barrier. You will need to hold Qing-Gugu's hand though and let us all speak first.'

'I will,' said A-Yuan, his eyes glistening a little in the low light of the room as he regarded them.

'What is wrong?' said Lan Wangji, holding out a hand to him.

A-Yuan crossed the room to them both, hesitating before he placed his small hand in Lan Wangji's larger one. 'I don't like when strangers come,' he said, 'I'm used to Luo-Guniang coming now but when Zewu-Jun comes he uses big words and people have loud voices. It makes me afraid.'

'I am sure things will be a little quieter today,' said Lan Wangji, 'We will make sure of it.'

Wei Wuxian resisted the urge to mess up the neat hair on A-Yuan's head, instead crouching beside the stool Lan Wangji was sat upon so he was more level with the both of them. 'Lan-Xiansheng may get a little cross with me but he will not be angry with you. If the grown ups get too serious, Popo can take you to look after the chickens though you will need to change out of your nice clothes before you do.'

A-Yuan traced a finger over the elegant stitching of Lan Wangji's sleeve, 'Pretty clouds.'

'Where I am from there are many clouds,' said Lan Wangji, 'I will take you there one day and you will be able to see.'

'Do you have a house there?'

Lan Wangji nodded, 'I have a house that once belonged to my mother.'

'Is there room for Xian-Gege and me to live there too?'

'I will always make space for you both,' he replied, 'When you are able, you will come and visit with me and I will show you where I grew up and take you flying in the clouds.'

A-Yuan smiled, 'Can Xian-Gege fly too?' he said, the innocent question piercing Wei Wuxian's heart even as he watched the tender scene before him.

Lan Wangji gently patted A-Yuan's hand, sparing an apologetic glance to Wei Wuxian before he turned a small smile back to the child. 'We will find things we can all do together. There is much for you to do both in the Cloud Recesses and in Caiyi.'

'Can we go when the bad people stop making us stay here?' said A-Yuan, 'Will they stop very soon?'

'I hope so,' said Lan Wangji, 'That is part of what Zewu-Jun is coming to discuss with us.'

A-Yuan nodded, 'Can I bring the chickens with me to the Cloud Recesses? They can sleep in my bed if there isn't room for their house.'

Wei Wuxian laughed having grown used to A-Yuan's childish ability to move from one extreme to the other without pause.

'I think the chickens would be best staying here in their house,' he said, 'There mustn't be too much noise in the Cloud Recesses and they like to chatter away a little too much.'

'The Cloud Recesses grew used to you being in residence,' said Lan Wangji, 'Chickens would not be as difficult.'

Wei Wuxian's laughter grew brighter still, watching the small, teasing smile on Lan Wangji's face and feeling some of the tension he had been holding on to for the expected visit leave him at the gentle play. A-Yuan seemed to settle with it as well, stepping closer to them both until he wrapped his arms around Lan Wangji's neck and pressing a kiss to his cheek.

'I want to go to the Cloud Recesses with you and Xian-Gege.'

'Then one day you will,' said Lan Wangji, lifting him onto his lap with ease, 'I hope all three of us will visit there often.'

A-Yuan reached out a hand to Wei Wuxian as he leaned closer to Lan Wangji, little fingers holding his tightly as though he could keep them together with the touch.

'Do we have to have visitors today?' he said, 'I want to do normal things.'

'We cannot turn away our guests when they have come a long way to visit us,' said Wei Wuxian, 'They are trying to help us so one day we can go to visit the Cloud Recesses and anywhere else we please.'

A-Yuan sighed, 'I'm a bit scared still.'

'Everyone gets a bit scared now and then, my little radish,' said Lan Wangji, pressing a kiss to his forehead, 'It is nothing to be ashamed of.'

'Even you and Xian-Gege?'

'All the time.'

'But you're so brave and big and you have a sword.'

'Being brave doesn't mean never being afraid,' said Lan Wangji, 'But it does mean that you rely on your mind and your skill to help you care for yourself and those you love.'

'Do you love me?' whispered A-Yuan.

Lan Wangji smiled, 'I do. Very much so.'

'Do you love Xian-Gege too?'

Wei Wuxian felt a jolt of warmth rush through him as Lan Wangji's eyes met his, saying far more in a look than his words did though they were deeply touching all the same.

'I love all of our family here,' he said, 'Everyone is precious to me.'

'We should head to the barrier,' said Wei Wuxian, loathed to break up the gentle moment but knowing it would not do well to be seen welcoming their guests as an after thought, 'Are you sure you want to come with us, A-Yuan?'

The child nodded, 'I do,' he said, 'I want to show them that we're nice.'

'I do not think they will doubt it,' said Lan Wangji, setting him back on his feet once more and straightening his neat new robes, 'Be careful not to trip when we're walking.'

Wei Wuxian reached for Chenqing, tucking into his belt as Lan Wangji caught up Bichen, reminders of who they were to the outside world even if they were so much more within the walls of their home. He almost envied A-Yuan who could freely hold onto Lan Wangji's hand as they headed to the exit, knowing such comforting and grounding touches would need to be fleeting and secretive between them from the moment Lan Qiren, Lan Xichen and their disciples arrived. He had always thought the worst he would be keeping from their benefactors would be the truth of his golden core and some of the more questionable methods he had to keep the Wens safe but, as they met with Wen Qing and Wen Ning outside, he feared far more the secret he and Lan Wangji were keeping from them. Lan Wangji was no longer an observer, no longer an impartial witness to the situation they were in. He was a part of it, wholly dedicated to them and therefore in defiance of his task and his purpose in being in the Burial Mounds.

The guilt swelled in Wei Wuxian, remembering his promises to Lan Xichen to allow Lan Wangji to observe and to assure the world that his band of refugees and the power he used to protect them would not be turned against them. He had defied that promise the moment he had allowed his heart to recognise its mate in the man sent to watch over them.

A warm hand took hold of his, squeezing gently behind the concealing fall of a long, white sleeve.

'My love, don't worry,' said Lan Wangji, allowing Wen Ning and Wen Qing outstrip them a little with A-Yuan skipping around their heels, 'It will be fine.'

Wei Wuxian smiled ruefully, 'Wasn't it me reassuring you this morning?' he said, 'Lan Zhan...'

'Everything will be fine,' he said, 'We'll be fine. I'll end today beside you, just as I do every day.'

Wei Wuxian tightened his grip on his hand, 'I hope so,' he said, indulging the touch for a few more moments until they grew too close to the barrier and he loosened his hold, putting several paces between them as they made their final approach.

A-Yuan had only just begun to fidget when the sound of their approaching guests could be heard, the lower warning talismans already having alerted them that they were on their way. For a moment, Wei Wuxian thought the boy would turn and run back up the hill to the village as he gasped and tensed at Wen Qing's side but he looked over to where Lan Wangji stood, outwardly serene, his small face fighting to match his expression as he stood as tall and as neatly as he could.

Wei Wuxian stepped forward and lowered the barrier as the white clad figures finally came into view, the best welcome he could offer and not wanting to give any indication about his trepidation in their visit. He longed for the gate he and Lan Wangji had spoken of days before, an outward sign of what they were trying to build but instead all he could present was a chance to approach unhindered and the hope that their simple welcome wouldn't be found lacking.

He was glad for the dictates of courtesy and ritual, their greetings at least already laid down in years of tradition and easily observed even if they felt a little forced and stilted. Even A-Yuan, unused to such formality, was the perfect young gentleman, solemn and quiet once he had risen from his neat bow. His composure wavered a little though as Lan Qiren's gaze, sharpened by the gnarled trees and ruined pathways that surrounded them, turned on him. It was not a cruel gaze but the appraisal was enough to have A-Yuan scampering behind Wen Qing's skirts from the attention.

Wei Wuxian wanted to snatch him up, bundle him back between him and Lan Wangji where he had been safe as he watched him quail as Lan Xichen also turned his attention on him.

'I do believe young Wen-Gongzi has grown since last we met,' he said, with a gentle smile, 'Will you allow me to introduce you, A-Yuan?'

The boy peered around Wen Qing's skirts, encouraged by the gentle press of her hand to his back. He stepped out after only a moment's hesitation, bowing once more as neatly as he could, his small hands trembling only a little as he rose.

'Shufu,' said Lan Xichen, 'This is Wen Yuan, the youngest of the residents here.'

'Shufu,' repeated A-Yuan, a small frown on his face, 'But Zhan-Gege said his Shufu was coming. Where is Zhan-Gege's Shufu?'

Lan Xichen set a large hand against A-Yuan's hair, 'Do you remember that Wangji and I are brothers?' he said, 'That means my Shufu is his Shufu too.'

A-Yuan looked sweetly puzzled for a moment before he looked down at his boots with a sniff, 'I said the wrong name,' he said, 'I was meant to call Zhan-Gege's Shufu, Lan-Xiansheng. I didn't mean to get it wrong. I didn't meant to get it wrong, Zhan-Gege.'

Lan Wangji, who had stood as neat and quiet as Wei Wuxian had remembered him being when they had first met, headed immediately to his side, taking hold of A-Yuan's hands as they shook beside him.

'You did not get it wrong,' he said, 'You didn't understand who you were meeting. You may try again.'

A-Yuan looked up, wiping roughly at an errant tear with his sleeve before he turned back to where Lan Qiren stood silently before him.

'Welcome, Lan-Xiansheng,' he said with a deep bow that Lan Wangji nearly had to steady him in, 'I am Wen Yuan.'

'Thank you for the welcome, Wen-Gongzi,' said Lan Qiren, his tone far lighter then Wei Wuxian could ever recall it being, 'You did very well. Do not worry about the error.'

Wei Wuxian knew there would have been a time he would have made a quip at how easily A-Yuan was forgiven where he would not have been but instead he felt his heart fill with a little more hope that they had allies numbering more than he had thought were on their side.

Any fear A-Yuan had seemed to melt as he smiled, looking between Lan Qiren and Lan Wangji with a small pinch of confusion to his eyebrows before he giggled softly. 'Lan-Xiansheng looks like Zhan-Gege with a beard.'

'Now he sees the family resemblance,' said Lan Xichen, 'Perhaps, young Wen-Gongzi would be kind enough to lead us inside, we have a lot of things to discuss.'

'It is this way,' said A-Yuan, 'You have to mind the big puddles or your robes get muddy. When we are allowed to do things, Xian-Gege and Shushu are going to build a road. Zhan-Gege used the wood from the house that fell on me to build a path to the storeroom so we didn't get the barrow stuck all the time. Everyone gets muddy if the barrow gets stuck.'

'A house fell on him?' said Lan Xichen.

'There was an accident,' said Lan Wangji, 'The rain and the frost caused a weakness in the foundations and the house fell in. A-Yuan was trapped inside...'

'With Popo,' said A-Yuan, 'The house was making big cracking sounds and then Xian-Gege came in and got me and Popo out and then the house fell on him more and Zhan-Gege and Shushu had to move the big bits of wood to stop Xian-Gege getting squashed and he had to stay in his bed for a long time and it made me and Zhan-Gege sad.'

'You were injured?' said Lan Qiren, the words startling Wei Wuxian as they were directed at him.

'I was but I recovered with rest and Wen-Guniang's assistance. She is a fine doctor,' he said.

'And Zhan-Gege and I came and held your hand to stop it hurting,' said A-Yuan, 'I did my lessons by Xian-Gege's bed so we could keep him company and Zhan-Gege said he would be able to practice his writing too because he needs to improve.'

It was only years of diplomatic training that kept the laughter from Lan Xichen's lips though Wei Wuxian saw the mirth in his eyes all the same.

'Wei Wuxian would stand to improve his writing,' said Lan Qiren, his tone gruff but measured, 'I trust you are a better student than he was.'

'I learn three new words every day,' said A-Yuan proudly, 'And I practice my writing and my reading and my counting in the morning. I help count the bags in the storeroom. I learn music with Zhan-Gege too. He lets me play the easy songs on his qin. I know how to play some of the pretty songs from Gusu. Zhan-Gege, can I play the pretty song later?'

'If we have time, you may do so,' said Lan Wangji, as they reached the main part of the village.

Wei Wuxian watched as an all too familiar expression fell over even the usually unreadable face of Lan Qiren, wondering how little of the truth of their suffering made it down the mountain or how little was believed until it was witnessed first hand. With practised grace, the older man quickly masked his shock, returning the greetings of the villagers who were close enough to offer them as they passed through to the main hall of the cave.

'Wei-Gongzi,' said Wen Ning, stepping aside as they settled themselves at the table already laid with refreshments for their guests, 'I do not believe you need me to be part of the discussion. My part in this is unchanged. Perhaps I should take A-Yuan back to Popo.'

'But I want to stay,' said A-Yuan, 'I promised Xian-Gege I would make sure no one did any shouting.'

'I recall your fiery defence before, A-Yuan,' said Lan Xichen, 'But you needn't fear raised voices today. Our talk will be boring for you but I would be delighted to hear you play the qin later on if you would like to go and help the others now. Wangji has told me how well you are doing in his letters.'

A-Yuan frowned at Lan Xichen before he looked between Lan Wangji, Wei Wuxian and Wen Qing, clearly seeing something in their faces that relaxed him but he still crossed the small distance to Lan Wangji's side and took hold of his hand.

'Look after Xian-Gege for me,' he said, 'Make sure no one shouts.'

Lan Wangji covered A-Yuan's hand with his own, 'I promise,' he said, 'Go with Ning-Shushu and we will find you afterwards.'

A-Yuan spared a final glance to Lan Xichen and Lan Qiren before he headed to Wen Ning, holding his arms up to be lifted and curling himself tight against him, making a lie of every fearsome story told of the Gui Jiangjun as Wen Ning carried him passed the small group of Lan disciples who stood quiet and discreet near to the cave mouth.

'A polite child,' said Lan Qiren as they left, 'An orphan, I understand.'

Wei Wuxian nodded, 'His parents were killed during the Sunshot Campaign along with his siblings. He witnessed some of it. He still has nightmares. He's four.'

'War has many innocent casualties,' said Lan Xichen, 'A-Yuan amongst them. I hope his future is more peaceful.'

'I was hoping the next time we met you would have news to guarantee it but instead I fear the tide is further turning against us,' said Wei Wuxian.

'A matter we will discuss shortly but, before we do, allow me to ascertain what struggles you are having,' said Lan Xichen, 'This house collapse that injured you, was anyone else hurt?'

'Not seriously, though it was luck that made it so,' said Wei Wuxian, 'The ground was waterlogged and rotted the wood, the frost and the weight of the snow on the roof made the structure unstable. We have tried to sure up the other buildings but none of us are skilled in the task. I can only hope spring will lessen the risk.'

'And bring with it issues of its own,' said Lan Qiren, 'We had some simple dwellings made when we began rebuilding in the Cloud Recesses. The plans are stored. I will have Xichen send you copies to assist you.'

'Please give me a list of what materials you need and they will be provided,' said Lan Xichen, 'For the road A-Yuan spoke of as well. It cannot be easy at times to get around, more so for those of advancing years.'

'I will make the calculations,' said Lan Wangji, 'The barrier to the storeroom is the main concern. The path is often waterlogged.'

'I am sure stone can be sourced easily from around Yiling,' said Lan Xichen, 'Have there been any further issues with supplies arriving?'

Wen Qing shook her head, 'Everything has been delivered and at the times expected,' she said, 'Hanguang-Jun will sometimes go to Yiling if there is something specific we need, medicines especially. Many of the ingredients do not keep well or run to short supply when a fever hits.'

'Have you had much sickness?' said Lan Xichen, 'Wangji did not write of much.'

'The expected winter ailments,' said Wen Qing, 'And minor injuries from work. Nothing that was too strenuous for us to treat here. We will be requiring additional supplies going forward though, if you are happy to assist. One of our women is with child. Hanguang-Jun gathered what we needed in Yiling but it would be useful if we could have additional in store in case we are cut off for any reason. She is healthy though and the midwife who came from Yiling is pleased with her progress so we do not need too much.'

'Is the mother able to receive the care she needs here?' said Lan Xichen, 'It does not seem a suitable place for a woman in her condition.'

'It does not seem a suitable place for anyone in any condition,' said Lan Qiren, 'This mountain is...'

'Safe,' said Wei Wuxian, cutting him off and trying not to quail at the look he received in return, 'Or as safe as we can make it. The alternative is far worse.'

'The midwife is happy that she is well enough and we have ensured that she is well cared for,' said Wen Qing, her tone gentling even as Wei Wuxian's flared.

Wei Wuxian felt the toe of a boot against his ankle, turning his head enough to see Lan Wangji's face calm and passive as he listened even if there was a sharp warning in the touch. He took a breath, the tension that came with having Lan Qiren present dissipating only a little but he knew he would need to keep himself in check to avoid undoing all the hard work by offending his former teacher.

Lan Xichen sighed, 'Even so, this is no place for an expectant mother or many of the others,' he said, 'Which brings me around to the main reason for my visit. Before I say more on my thoughts, I want to first assure you that I knew nothing of the plan to release Jin Zixun from his punishment. The news came as a great shock to me when I received it and I was sorry to have to impart it to you.'

'We were grateful to be told,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Jin-Xiandu did not see fit to send word to us directly.'

It had been a point they had discussed at length once Lan Xichen had written to inform them of his visit. Jin Zixuan's letter had been sent in secrecy, a letter to warn them. Though the warning had thankfully not seemed necessary since its arrival, it had allowed them to be prepared and to feel safer with those preparations in place. Though Lan Wangji has assured them that Lan Xichen would keep the confidence if he was to be told, they did not want to put him in a position between Jin-Guangshan and Jin Zixuan if the truth was ever revealed. Wei Wuxian knew, despite evidence to the contrary in their youth, that Jin Zixuan was a man they could trust despite his name; wanting nothing more than a peaceful world to raise his young family in. In order to protect one line of information that could hopefully proceed all others, they would keep Jin Zixuan's warning secret, calling Lan Xichen's missive the first they had heard of the change.

'You should have been informed,' said Lan Xichen, 'As part of the agreement all the sects made but I am afraid that has gone unheeded. Likewise, no decision should have been made regarding Jin Zixun's release without consultation with us all. Though Jin Zixun too was a victim of the plot by Meng Yao and Su She, he still acted inappropriately and led disciples from other sects into the ambush he had planned.'

'He is Jin-Xiandu's nephew,' said Wei Wuxian, 'He was only ever going to be found innocent of any wrongdoing.'

Lan Xichen inclined his head in silent agreement, 'That being said, Wei-Gongzi, those of us who had disciples directly effected by the events should have been consulted and allowed to give arguments both for and against the cessation of his punishment. Were it not for Jin Zixun's actions, many lives would have been saved that were instead sadly lost.'

'Which many were all too willing to lay at our door despite Wen Ning and I only looking to defend ourselves,' said Wei Wuxian.

Lan Xichen held up a hand, 'Those actions, at least, do not need to be justified to me,' he said, 'And I am sorry for our part in the attack. Those under our instruction should know better than to act against the accepted way, whoever the accused may be. A lot of tragedy could have been avoided if you had been allowed to pass peaceably.'

'They'd have found something else to blame me for,' said Wei Wuxian with a sigh, 'But we all know this. What happens now?'

'Now, I go to Jinlintai along with representatives from the other sects who had disciples involved in the skirmish and ask for answers as to why this action was taken and understand what further is to be done,' said Lan Xichen, 'I doubt there will be a change in the outcome though, do not look for it to be otherwise.'

'How much else has already been decided?' said Wei Wuxian, fighting to keep the bitterness from his tone.

'Nothing, I can assure you,' said Lan Xichen, 'But I hope to remedy that soon if I can, at least in part. Though the winter is not ideal from travel or communication, it is good for reflection. I know this process has been long, longer for you given the conditions you must exist in but I believe now we may move forward with the future of the Wens and to allow them to move somewhere freer and safer than the village here. Wen-Guniang, would all resident here who were once cultivators be willing to give an account of their actions during the war?'

Wen Qing nodded, 'They would, I believe, but the process would need to be fair. I trust Zewu-Jun understands that Wen Ruohan was not the same as other sect leaders, any hint of descent or refusal of orders was met with...there are several here who fought against the other clans, who killed those who fought them but they had no choice.'

'The practices of Wen Ruohan towards his own are well known,' said Lan Xichen, 'And we are only asking for an account, this will not be a trial of any sort. I want to argue that anyone here who fought did so because they had no choice other than death for themselves and those they held dear. I want to argue that the trials you have faced since are penance enough. I have the support of several other sects, including those who suffered major assaults at the hands of Wen Ruohan and his sons, if we agree that there is no crime to be answered, Jin-Xiandu will be unable to argue against us.'

Wei Wuxian balled his hands to stop the tremble in them, wanting nothing more than to reach for Lan Wangji and beg him to repeat his brother's words, to reassure him that perhaps there was a chance for them to find freedom.

'How would these statements need to be presented?' said Wen Qing, 'I am sure there are some who would be unwilling to return to Jinlintai.'

'They may be presented to us,' said Lan Qiren, 'Spoken or written. The clans who suffered the heaviest losses may ask to review them as well, as is their right. For the sake of you all, if there is anyone here who took part in any of the massacres suffered, they would be best placed to turn themselves over to us now.'

Wen Qing sat tall, a strength and a pride that so many had hoped to quell in her pose. 'There are none, Lan-Xiansheng, the LanlingJin torturers saw to that. Many even admitted to being there who were not to escape the agony through death. Those who are here, those who did fight, did so under the greatest duress but none were part of those events. If they choose to present their accounts to you, I ask that it be remembered that they knew pain before the war, pain during it, and pain long after. Wounds on the body leave such scars. Those on the mind bleed fresh forever. I understand that so many suffered because of those bearing are name but these people, my people, only seek peace and good in the world. Please treat them gently.'

Lan Qiren was silent but the subtle incline of his head spoke volumes, Wen Qing offering a small smile of thanks even as her eyes glistened before she rose to her feet, waving them all back into theirs as they made to follow.

'I will return in a moment,' she said, resting a hand on Wei Wuxian's shoulder when she passed him, the gentle touch letting him know that her upset would only be brief.

They remained silent until she had left the room, Lan Qiren the one to break it.

'A brave woman,' he said, 'And a sensible one. I believe they can be guided well by her hand when the time comes.'

'When the time comes for what?' said Wei Wuxian, a cold finger leeching up his spine and having him wishing that he was able to take hold of Lan Wangji's hand.

'Our intention is, when the accounts are given and arguments made that no further punishment of those bearing the Wen name should be permitted, that they be allowed to settle peaceably in a village of their own without any sanctions,' said Lan Xichen, 'I do not think there are many, now that the conditions of their time here and that time has allowed for wounds to begin to heal, who will argue that the elderly, merchants and families pose that much of a risk to us. I imagine the only caveat will be that they do not seek to call themselves a sect or that none of them attempt to become cultivators again.'

'We have never sought to be a sect,' said Wei Wuxian, 'That dubious honour has been somehow thrust upon us but we would be happy not to be. All we want is peace. Let us go away and you never need hear from us again. We can be quiet and content with enough land to feed ourselves and a close enough settlement to trade with.'

Lan Xichen's expression was bland and unreadable as he held up a hand to still Wei Wuxian's words.

'I am afraid to say, Wei-Gongzi, that the deal I hope to broker is for the Wens alone,' he said, 'I can speak for those who have suffered and those who are innocent. I cannot speak so easily for you. Likewise, Wen Ning would not be part of the group who would be resettled.'

Wei Wuxian was sure the world had tilted beneath him, the words hitting him with such force even the ability to breathe was chased away. His eyes moved to Lan Wangji on instinct, seeing the horror on his face that he did not even try to mask even if he did not dare to look Wei Wuxian's way.

'I cannot plead for someone whose cultivation is a danger to us all,' said Lan Xichen, 'Though you are innocent of the accusation Jin Zixun levelled at you and your actions at Qiongqi Path were in self defence, you still possess a weapon that cannot be allowed to be uncontrolled. If you lose control over it, you could be as dangerous to us as every other trial we have faced. I am sorry but whilst you remain on this path, whilst the Yin Hu Fu is in your possession, I cannot speak for you.'

'And Wen Ning?' said Wei Wuxian, fingernails cutting half moons into his palm as he clenched his hands too hard, 'You say you can argue for the innocent. He is innocent.'

'He is an abomination,' said Lan Qiren.

'Through my fault, not his,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I made him like that. I gave him this life. Punish me if you must, for them to be free I would let anything happen to me but he is innocent. He deserves a chance as the rest of them do.'

'I am sorry, Wei-Gongzi, but I cannot agree with you. His existence is against everything we are taught and as such...'

The stool Wei Wuxian had been sitting on clattered to the ground as he stood. The creeping resentment in his blood that his cultivation fed growing too strong to control. He would take anything the world could throw his way, accept any personal cost but to hear Wen Ning's fate so casually spoken cut too deep. He dared not let them see the worst of him though, knowing the promises and protection before him were just as easily withdrawn if he gave them cause to be.

He knew his rudeness could be just as damning but easier to forgive as he fled the room, hearing Lan Wangji's voice call out to him but not daring to turn to it. The tunnels within the caves ran deep, so many off limits for fear of where they could lead, bones and other things even he did not dare test the origin of lurking in the darkness. He felt the spirits of the Burial Mounds surround him as they had when he was new and terrified in their midst, drawn in by his turmoil. He closed his eyes tight against them, willing away the swirling aching resentment, willing away the urge to unleash the power of the Yin Hu Fu in full; a power he did not understand but knew the damage would be a scar on the face of the land forever.

He fought off the voices in his head. The ones that told him the number from GusuLan were few, no match for him if he truly wished them not to be, not with the power he held. He ignored the images in his head of Lan Qiren, Lan Xichen and all their white clad disciples stained red upon the floor of the cave, the Wens fleeing over their broken bones as they should have fled months before. He could kill them and they could disappear, he could kill all in their path until the world stopped hunting them out of terror.

'Shut up!' he cried, clutching his head in his hands, tearing at the roots of his own hair as the voices grew too loud, 'Shut up and leave me alone.'

'Wei Wuxian!'

The voice was sharp, commanding. One he remembered being accompanied often by something flung across a room at him. One from happier, easier days when the world was not such an unbearably heavy thing.

It was enough to silence the voices, soon only his own rasping breathing and barely suppressed sobs filling the darkness around him before a faint glowing light was released towards the ceiling.

'And this is what you won't let go of. I took you for a great many things, boy, but a fool was never one of them.'

Lan Qiren's voice was harsh, laced with danger and something else Wei Wuxian could not place.

'I can't,' he said, his voice barely a whisper, cut ragged by his own cries, 'I won't not until I am sure they are free and safe.'

'You have been assured they will be.'

'I have been assured that Zewu-Jun will talk about it as he and the others have talked for months on end whilst we have starved and rotted.'

'You are not stupid,' said Lan Qiren, 'You know the way of the world.'

'Only too well,' said Wei Wuxian, keeping his back to him even as he heard his footsteps behind, 'And I despise it.'

'Then you are beyond all hope,' said Lan Qiren, 'Too far down this unorthodox path for anyone to help you.'

'I have never asked for anyone's help.'

'And look where it has led you.'

Wei Wuxian snorted, 'I am going to the same place, help or no help,' he said, 'This has only slowed the journey.'

'You can turn back on any road,' said Lan Qiren, 'Turn back and return to a humbler, orthodox existence.'

'Humbler?' laughed Wei Wuxian, the tone bitter, 'What could be humbler than this? But I will take this over that world out there any day. The world where old men talk and young men die and the innocent pay the price for it. I would take this over the world that produced Xue Chonghai, Wen Ruohan, and Jin Guangshan. What a world is it that gives such men power one after the other and yet calls itself good? How can you stand there and speak like you carve the only road when your own rules speak of protecting the innocent and yet it is only the innocence you condone that is protected? You break your own rules in refusing to protect Wen Ning amongst his namesakes.'

'I uphold our most sacred rule in ensuring we do not allow the abomination of him or you to run free. We will not befriend evil.'

'Do not dine with Jin Guangshan and then speak to me of what is good and what is evil, Lan-Xiansheng,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I know I can sit at my table and not fear for poison in my cup.'

'How wild you are,' said Lan Qiren, 'I always knew you would be a danger. I always knew you would take the wrong road but I never foresaw this. I had faith at least you would retain some decency for those you care for but even then...if your mother was alive she would be ashamed of you. She would...'

'Shufu!'

Lan Wangji's voice was as sharp and as steely as Lan Qiren's had been moments before.

'Xiongzhang asked me to tell you that he was looking to depart,' he said, 'The weather looks set to turn and it would be wise to return to Yiling before the worst of it hits. Wen Qing will confirm the consent of the Wen cultivators to speak with you in writing when she has had a chance to talk to them.'

Wei Wuxian could not bring himself to turn or to speak as he heard the retreating footsteps, low voices echoing back at him too quiet for him to make out the words. He was glad for the strength of the hands that startled him as they gripped his arms, preventing him from lashing out as the stress and the shock had him wanting to.

'Wait here for me,' said Lan Wangji, his voice low against his ear, 'Stay calm. As soon as the barrier is raised once more, I will return. Please stay calm, my love.'

The kiss pressed to his temple before the hands left him was agonising, reminding him all too well of the position he was putting Lan Wangji in. Torn between his blood and the family they had been creating.

As Lan Wangji's footsteps retreated, Wei Wuxian reached blindly for Chenqing where it was tucked into his belt. His fingers closed around it, feeling the answering thrum from the weapon as it recognised him. He longed for the day he could call it only a tool but a weapon it remained even if he only used it to defend those he loved.

Tears, hot and fat, rolled down his cheeks. Each path that had been starting to feel easier to walk suddenly filled with danger and shadow that would dog him at every step. He could not give up the power until he was sure the Wens were safe but he knew they would never be given that safety whilst the power remained. Wen Ning, innocent and vulnerable, would be left even more so unless Wei Wuxian could break all the ties that could bind him to another's power but he had no idea how to begin.

He could not simply relinquish the Yin Hu Fu. Placed in trustworthy hands it would only move the problem of people vying for it, placed in other hands it would prove a powerful weapon for those inspired by greed and power that would leave people longing for the former terror of Wen Ruohan's dominion. If he tried to destroy it, he did not know how far the damage would extend, certain to kill himself but fearful of how many others it would take with him too.

The weight of the darkness surrounding him was almost too much to bear before warm hands found his, dragging him away from his spiralling thoughts and grounding him. His body ached with fatigue, every joint seized as he realised he had barely moved for long enough for Lan Wangji to take their guests to the barrier, see them away, and then return to him. It was as though the thoughts had been the only thing holding him upright as his legs gave way, Lan Wangji barely managing to catch him, guiding them both awkwardly to the floor when Wei Wuxian found himself unable to bear his own weight.

He had grown use to Lan Wangji's words, grown used to how easily he used them to comfort and encourage but, in the darkness of the cave surrounding them, he was grateful for his silence. There were no words, no platitudes or promises that could ease the pain in his head or his heart. The sect they had dared dream of, the family that had been promised torn asunder in a few short minutes. The dream one they would have to sacrifice if only to save those they had sworn to protect.

He knew words would need to come later. That he would need to tell Wen Qing and Wen Ning the truth of what would lay before them. That he and Lan Wangji would need to face the fact that their love would bear a huge cost that could be beyond them both to pay.

For the moment though the quiet was a reprieve as Lan Wangji cradled Wei Wuxian close, reversing the position of the morning when they had only had the single fear that Lan Wangji would be ordered away. Wei Wuxian wished for the morning. Wished for the moments when their dreams had been as promising as the dawn rather than dashed by the storm that had followed.

Chapter 19: Truth

Notes:

Hi all. Thanks for your patience with this chapter. I lost a few writing days as I was in Worcester with my family for my daughter's Taekwondo competition. It was worth it though as I now have a national silver medallist for tag team sparring on my hands (she's well pleased with her wee self).

Chapter Text

Lan Wangji ignored Lan Qiren's pointed look as he returned from the depths of the cave. He knew returning to Wei Wuxian after he had led his uncle away would incur his anger but he could not leave his beloved without a promise that he would return, that the change in the village's situation would not change theirs if he had anything to say about it. His own hands trembled as he continued back to the room where he had left Lan Xichen and Wen Qing, the latter unaware of all that had played out but quick enough to realise that bed news had been delivered. He could only imagine her anger when the truth was revealed to her.

Lan Xichen reached out a hand as he passed him but the touch was aborted as Lan Wangji continued to the mouth of the cave.

'The weather takes us quickly here,' said Lan Wangji, 'If you wish to be closer to Yiling by the time it hits, you will want to begin now. The paths are treacherous when they are wet.'

'Wangji?'

He did not pause, even at his brother's pleading tone, hearing the footsteps fall into practised rank behind him. His heart felt jagged, each piece a wound from the strike that had ended so many of their hopes. A wound for the horrific choice before the Wens, freedom but without all, a family torn apart. A wound for the choice before Wei Wuxian, the power to protect his loved ones which would condemn him or to relinquish his power and risk condemning them. A wound for his own choices, to stand with love and justice but to forever close the door on his blood. A wound for his uncle's words that had no doubt injured Wei Wuxian beyond healing.

He clenched his hand around Bichen, half convinced a little of the resentment that stalked the mountains had fused itself to him as anger boiled through his blood. Years of training and restraint kept him quiet, kept his eyes ahead and his footsteps measured as he led those of his own sect passed the confused villagers. He was sure it was the same training, the same required outward appearance of calm that kept his brother from questioning and his uncle from scolding when there was an audience present.

He lowered the barrier as they approached it, the accompanying disciples filing through as Lan Xichen waved them onwards. Lan Wangji turned to see Wen Qing hanging a few paces behind, her face confused and concerned, certain she was a heartbeat from questioning them.

'I will return shortly,' he said, 'Find Wen Ning and make sure A-Yuan is with Popo.'

She nodded, casting sharp eyes towards Lan Qiren and Lan Xichen before she returned up the hill, leaving Lan Wangji alone with them.

'We will send word when we have the accounts you wanted,' he said, not meeting their eyes.

'Wangji...' began Lan Xichen before Lan Wangji stepped aside so they could pass him through the barrier.

'The road to Yiling is long and difficult in the rain,' he said, fingers twitching in the desire to raise the barrier and place it between them.

'Wangji it cannot be helped,' said Lan Xichen, 'I cannot protect what the world cannot accept.'

'Then why did you ever offer to?' said Lan Wangji, 'You are tearing a family apart.'

'By rights, Wen Ning should have died long ago,' said Lan Xichen, 'I am sure they are sensible enough to realise that safety for those most in need...'

'No one should have to sacrifice their life for it,' said Lan Wangji, 'And by freeing them without Wen Ning and Wei Ying to protect them, how long until the village suffers its own massacre?'

'No one would dare if it was agreed,' said Lan Qiren, 'You are blinded by the foolish heroics of that boy.'

'There is nothing foolish about what he has done,' said Lan Wangji, continuing as Lan Qiren began to speak once more, 'He has done more than any of us for justice and at a cost no one else would be brave enough to bear and yet you treat him like this. Don't think I did not hear what you said about his mother. You speak of right then put words into the mouth of a dead woman to harm her son when you would not share one kind memory with him before.'

'What are you becoming?' said Lan Qiren, 'I should have removed you from this place long ago.'

'You will have to do so by force,' said Lan Wangji, stepping back and waving the barrier into existence, Lan Qiren having to step back a little as it shimmered between them, 'I will not leave until I am certain they will all be safe. I will not leave until they all get to leave together.'

'Wangji,' said Lan Xichen, 'This is foolish.'

'No, Xiongzhang, this is what is right,' he said, 'When do we get to choose who lives and who dies like this? Wen Ning did not ask to become what he is, no one has the right to condemn him for it. What if it had been me that Wei Ying had saved in such a way? Would you have been as swift to demand my sacrifice if I moved through the world as he does?'

'That is an unfair question,' said Lan Xichen, 'The difference...'

'There is no difference,' said Lan Wangji, 'Only your perception of it. Ask yourself the unfair questions, Xiongzhang. Put the name of Lan where you now put the name of Wen. Put my name where you place Wen Ning's and then sit at our table and say the same as you did before.'

The silence that followed spoke far more than words could. He knew it was a risk, that his angry words could inspire anger in return and leave them cut off from any aid and protection. He could only hope that it made them think, made them realise that it was lives and not names they were dealing in.

Sparing one final glance at them both, he turned on his heel and began his ascent to the village, hearing his name called by both and only slowing his steps for a moment, refusing to turn back even as his heart screamed for him to do so. He was torn in two, torn between the love he felt for the family he had been born into, for the honour and tradition he had been raised with, and the family he had found with Wei Wuxian and the Wens. The cold bite of Bichen piercing his heart would be a better option than to have to choose and it was only the most solemn duty that had him returning to those in the Burial Mounds, the duty he had sworn years before to protect the weak and the innocent. To stand with justice.

One final call of his name echoed through the twisted branches before it faded entirely. He paused where he knew he would not be seen, one chilling tear breaking free of his lashes before he swiped it away with his sleeve, the rich fabric all too alien but he did not have time to change.

His hurried steps as he reached the village had several of the Wens reaching for him, asking for news, and he left them with promises to return as soon as he could. Wen Ning and Wen Qing looked equally desperate, the latter taking hold of his hand to quell some of the tremble in it.

'What happened?' she said, 'Where's Wei Wuxian?'

'Within,' said Lan Wangji, pressing Bichen into her hands, 'Keep everyone clear for a while. He's upset and I fear he may not have full control. I don't want anyone to be hurt.'

'What about you?' she said, 'Let me help you.'

'Take care of the others,' said Lan Wangji, 'He will not hurt me.'

'Lan Wangji...'

'Just give me time,' he said, 'I just need time.'

'Lan Er-Gongzi,' said Wen Ning, 'I will stay here in case you need me. You can call.'

Lan Wangji nodded, the part of his heart that had shattered for his friend aching all the more at his gentle concern. 'If I need you, I will call,' he said, 'When Wei Ying is well, we need to talk. We have decisions to make.'

He left them stood close to one another, inseparable as they should always be. The darkness soon enveloped him but he held no fear of it, the spirits of the Burial Mounds nothing to him in comparison to reaching the man who needed him most. The soft sobs acted as his guide, eyes only just adjusting to the gloom to enable him to see the huddled figure on floor beside the wall.

'Wei Ying,' he said, not wanting to startle him when he knew his emotions were already high, 'Can I sit beside you?'

'Don't,' said Wei Wuxian, 'You should go with them, Lan Zhan, go with them back where you'll be safe because this place never will be.'

'I don't want to be safe if it means I am without you,' said Lan Wangji, 'My place has never been clearer to me. Please let me come to you, my love.'

Wei Wuxian was silent but Lan Wangji did not take it as a refusal, not caring for whatever dirt and grime could be on the floor as he knelt beside him. It took little more than a touch to his arm to have Wei Wuxian falling into him, arms tight around his waist as he cried into the collar of Lan Wangji's robe. Lan Wangji said nothing, knowing the words would be empty ones, instead he cradled his head in his hands, letting whatever tears needed to flow to escape him as he rocked him gently.

'What do we do now?' said Wei Wuxian when his tears had calmed to ragged breaths against him, the oppression of the room lifting a little around them, 'Lan Zhan, what do we do?'

'I don't know,' he said, 'But we will find a way. Whatever happens, we are leaving here together. No one is being pushed aside. No one is being sacrificed.'

'I don't think we have a choice,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Lan-Xiansheng...'

'May keep his opinions,' said Lan Wangji, 'I have left him in little doubt of mine. I am sorry for what he said to you about your mother, it was uncalled for. He has no right to offer any comment on her opinion.'

'What did he say that was not right?' said Wei Wuxian, bitterly.

'A great many things,' said Lan Wangji, 'If your mother saw all that you have done, she would be as proud of you as I am. I will not ask for you to forgive Shufu, he must ask for that himself, I only hope that you accept my apology that I allowed it to be spoken.'

Wei Wuxian raised his head, fumbling a little through the knot they had worked themselves until he could take his face in his hands. 'Don't apologise for anything,' he said, 'You did nothing wrong. I'm just sorry that you're part of this.'

'I am not,' said Lan Wangji, 'I promised to stay at your side and I will. I made a promise. If Shufu and Xiongzhang cannot see what the truth of the matter is then I will have to demonstrate it through my actions.'

'I do not wish for you to be at odds with them for my sake.'

'Then they should support you,' said Lan Wangji, 'You have done nothing to warrant this. You have never turned the Yin Hu Fu on anyone who was not an enemy. What they expect of you and Wen Ning...'

The noise that escaped Wei Wuxian was desperate, his face a mask of dejection as he fisted his hands in Lan Wangji's robes. 'I can't...he doesn't deserve this. I only wish...he saved Jiang Cheng's life, gave us back a chance, I couldn't let him...but now, he's what he is and no one will ever see differently and now everyone must face the most horrific choice. I don't care if I die, I always knew I would die the moment I became this, but he does not deserve to lose his life, lose his freedom like this. His family are everything to him.'

'And he is everything to his family, to all of us,' said Lan Wangji, 'I will not allow anything to happen to this village that does not result in us staying together. The YilingWei Sect will stand alone if it has to. I will protect it.'

'Lan Zhan, my beloved Lan Zhan, you are an amazing man but you are just one person. How can you stand against the whole world?'

'Because I have right on my side and the people I love behind me.'

'What about those who will be facing you?' said Wei Wuxian, 'What if you stand between the Wens and your own people. Could you really fight GusuLan for us?'

'Until I was so injured I could do no more, yes I would fight them,' said Lan Wangji, 'I would fight all who would bring you and the others harm.'

Wei Wuxian was silent, face pressed once more against Lan Wangji's shoulder as he shook, his frame still too thin from where he still sacrificed his own rations to those more in need and the resentful energy that ate at him whenever he needed to call upon his power.

'Lan Zhan,' he said finally, face muffled by the ornate robes, 'I'm so afraid. What do I do now? To act is terrible, to remain as we are risks too much to comprehend.'

'I don't have any answers,' said Lan Wangji, 'Only a promise that I will not abandon you. There are people other than you and I involved in this. This concerns the entire village and they should all have a say.'

Wei Wuxian shuddered, 'You can be free but you will kill one of your own and no one will be there to protect you any more,' he said, 'What a choice. I always thought...I'd be more than willing if it was my sacrifice they demanded but...'

'Please don't say that,' said Lan Wangji, holding him closer in an effort to calm the fear that leapt in his breast at the thought, 'Don't talk like your sacrifice would...Wei Ying, I have all too often been faced with a world without you in it and I cannot bear the thought. I cannot live in a world without you.'

'If our hand is forced then you will have to,' said Wei Wuxian, 'If I can't protect them, please...'

'I will always protect them,' said Lan Wangji, 'I will protect all of you.'

Wei Wuxian sighed, his hand finding Lan Wangji's and lacing them together. 'I just wanted us to be free, to be safe in the world. I wanted that gate, Lan Zhan, not because it would mean we were a sect but because it meant we were living as we promised to, that the values we hold meant something. I wanted a future with you. I wanted to devote my life to you and to them. I wanted...'

'I wanted that too,' said Lan Wangji, 'I have hoped beyond all reason that we could live such a life. Right now, I know it seems bleak, but we have come this far, over come so many hurdles, with everyone together I'm sure we can think of something.'

'What would I do without you? I don't...'

Lan Wangji pinched his side gently, smiling at the small yelp he received in response despite all that was before them. 'I believe that sentence was about to end with the words I would not approve of and I would rather not hear them right now,' he said, 'I am with you, beloved, as I have been with you since before I even understood that was where I was meant to be. I love you and I want the world that you have been fighting for.'

'My Lan Zhan, you give me so much hope.'

Lan Wangji pressed a kiss to the crown of his head, squeezing the fingers laced with his. 'I will endeavour to always do so.'

'Wei-Gongzi, Lan Er-Gongzi?' came the voice from the corridor beyond, 'Are you alright?'

'We're fine, Wen Ning,' said Lan Wangji, 'We'll be out in a moment.'

'Jiejie is worried,' said Wen Ning, remaining in the dark of the corridor, 'She says she knows the news is bad and wants to know what we need to do next. If we need to run...'

'Wen Ning,' said Wei Wuxian, lifting himself from Lan Wangji's arms and getting to his feet, his movements sluggish as though the news were a real weight about him, 'Come here a moment.'

Wen Ning stepped into the gloomy light of the cave as Lan Wangji followed Wei Ying to standing, appearing almost as true to the name of ghost as the world gave him. His usually timid face held a grim determination to it and it pierced Lan Wangji's heart that he clearly knew whatever news had been delivered was not just bad but wholly personal to him.

'Have you told them anything?' said Wei Wuxian, his hand finding Lan Wangji's once more.

'No, I thought it best to wait until we were altogether,' he said, 'I did not wish to speak for you either.'

'Then I will be the one to share it,' said Wei Wuxian, 'The news was not good today, at least for you and me. Zewu-Jun believes he can broker a deal for the others, including Wen Qing and those who were cultivators providing they had no part in the massacres of the other sects. He believes he can settle them peaceably but...'

'I always believed I would not go with them, Wei-Gongzi,' said Wen Ning, 'It is something I have been prepared for.'

'Well damn you for being prepared for it, I'm not allowing it,' said Wei Wuxian, his fingers tightening almost to the point of pain around Lan Wangji's, 'You do not get to be a willing sacrifice for this.'

'He learned that from you,' came Wen Qing's voice from further away, 'But at least, for once, I agree with you, Wei Wuxian.'

'I thought we'd be having this discussion somewhere more comfortable,' said Wei Wuxian, 'But a dark place like this seems all the better for dark discussions. Is anyone else lurking?'

'Just me,' said Wen Qing, joining her brother, 'I thought it best to have some sense nearby before you boys worked yourself into a frenzy.'

Wei Wuxian laughed, the sound not as hollow as Lan Wangji would have expected it to be.

'Lan Zhan, if you ever doubted you were family here, you can stop doing so now,' he said, 'She's as cruel and as cutting to you as she is to us now. What did you hear, Wen Qing?'

'Enough,' she said, 'And I can put more together. Lan-Zongzhu can help us but only those the rest of the world will allow him to which means A-Ning and you are at risk.'

Wei Wuxian nodded, 'They'll free all of you but I will need to relinquish the Yin Hu Fu and Wen Ning...I can't.'

'We all know even if you gave in to all their demands no one would live to know a peaceful life,' said Wen Qing, 'As soon as we settled we might know a few months and then there'll be some crime made up to accuse us of or they'll just wipe us out one night full well in the knowledge that other sects might raise their heads but nothing would be done about it.'

'Sadly, I believe the latter the most likely event,' said Lan Wangji, 'None of the sects will face war and struggle for their own people to defend you, especially when there would be no one left to save.'

'Whichever way we choose, we're lost,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Take the deal, Wen Ning and I won't be there to take care of you. Lan Zhan may hold out with you for a while but even he against an army I'm almost sure will come, the village will not last long.'

Lan Wangji covered their joined hands with his free one, 'I'd fight to the last and take a good few of them with us if it came to it,' he said, 'But you are right, I cannot hold back an army. If you stay here though, I fear that same army will come up the mountain the moment my brother's assistance is withdrawn. We could hold out here for longer but not forever. A siege would lead to great suffering.'

'We could run,' said Wen Ning, 'Get away like we've talked of before.'

'We're too closely watched,' said Wei Wuxian, 'They'd know and they'd hunt us down. Who knows what some of them have surrounded us with and, in a group like that, we're only as fast and as strong as our weakest member.'

'We'd barely get off the mountain,' said Wen Qing, her voice tight but determined, 'Look, we can't make a decision now. There's a lot to think about. I imagine I speak for the majority, if not all of us, when I say that leaving anyone behind is not something we wish to countenance. I don't want to say anything to them until we have had a chance to think up any answers. I don't want panic.'

'We will not have long though,' said Lan Wangji, 'Xiongzhang will want an answer from me as to what is happening, if he doesn't just relinquish any support altogether. I am afraid my behaviour may have put us all in greater peril than before.'

'This was always bound to happen,' said Wen Qing, 'I'm just grateful we've all had a little longer, had a small chance to dream of something brighter.'

'Don't talk like this is over,' said Wei Wuxian, 'There has to be something we can do.'

'Then get thinking,' said Wen Qing, 'You've got us this far. I'll go and reassure the others that no changes are imminent, give you some time to think. A-Ning?'

Wei Wuxian leaned against Lan Wangji's shoulder as Wen Ning obediently followed his sister from the cave, twisting a little when they were finally gone from view and wrapping his arms around his neck. It didn't take any persuasion for Lan Wangji to pull him closer, holding him tight as he felt the small shudders he was trying to keep at bay.

'Can I just stay here?' said Wei Wuxian, 'The world always feels a kinder place in your arms.'

'If I could, I would keep you here forever,' said Lan Wangji, 'I will do whatever I can to keep you safe.'

Wei Wuxian sighed. 'I don't know how we can get through this.'

'Then let me echo Wen Qing,' said Lan Wangji, 'You have got us this far. If anyone can go further then it is you.'

'With you behind me, maybe. Hold me for a little longer before I have to think though.'

'For as long as you need, my love,' said Lan Wangji, stroking the long hair that spilled down his lover's back, 'Wei Ying, earlier, what Shufu said was cruel. I know you have no wish for me to apologise for it but instead can I amend it? Because it is my belief that your mother would be as proud of you as I am.'

'Keep talking like that and I'll be able to change the world,' said Wei Wuxian, raising his head, 'For now though, I need you to kiss me and make me think we're going to get something good out of this.'

Lan Wangji had grown better with words over his months in the Burial Mounds but he knew he could say far more with actions, pouring all his hope and support into the kiss asked of him, knowing the road ahead was long and difficult but one they would meet together as they had the rest of the journey.

****

Lan Wangji pressed up into the hand that came to rest against his hair, absently stroking the unbound strands before gently tracing the track of the ribbon across his forehead. He opened his eyes, blinking in the low light before he turned his face to where Wei Wuxian was illuminated by the thin candlelight, his eyes circled dark and his face lined with worry.

'What time is it?' he said, as Wei Wuxian's cold hand gently stroked his cheek.

'So late that it's early,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Did you sleep a little? It can't have been comfy sitting there for so long.'

Lan Wangji let his head rest once more against his thigh, the blanket he had wrapped around his shoulders slipping a little but he did not bother to reach for it, the thin material having done little to ward off the chill of the night air.

'I'm content where I am,' he said, 'You should rest, my love.'

'I can't sleep,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Not now. I need to think, find a way to get us through this.'

'You won't be able to if you exhaust yourself,' said Lan Wangji, 'Just come and lie down a while. You look so tired.'

'The world makes me tired,' said Wei Wuxian, leaning down and pressing a kiss to his hair, 'You go and get some sleep. I'll be fine.'

Lan Wangji shook his head, 'Our bed will be too cold without you in it.'

'Perhaps you need to get used to sleeping without me again. I...'

'Stop it,' said Lan Wangji, 'No more. We're together. We're staying together. We're facing and ending this together. If I have one more night or every night until we grow as old as the stars, if I am sleeping in our bed, I am sleeping beside you.'

'Lan Zhan.'

'Come to bed, Wei Ying. Rest awhile.'

Wei Wuxian's laugh was soft and short but it was a more joyful sound than Lan Wangji had heard since Lan Xichen's visit and he clung to it, knowing the sound might be fleeting in the days ahead.

'My Lan Zhan, who knew such a cunning and manipulative person lay beneath that cool exterior of yours,' he said, 'You win but do not blame me when I am restless and fidgeting.'

Lan Wangji turned his head, pressing a kiss to the coarse fabric covering his thigh before he got this his feet, pressing Wei Wuxian back onto his stool as he too made to stand.

'I thought you wanted me to go to bed,' said Wei Wuxian, trying to lean his head back to look at him until Lan Wangji set him straight, gently unwinding the leather binding and red ribbon in his hair.

'You tie your hair so tight at the moment,' he said scratching fingers against his scalp as he unravelled it, 'You'll sleep better with it loosened.'

'You take such good care of me,' said Wei Wuxian, relaxing back into his hands.

'I believe that is my role and one I am happy to fulfil,' said Lan Wangji, guiding him to his feet and over to the bed, 'Lie down.'

Wei Wuxian tugged on his sleeve, as he settled himself on the blanket covered straw. 'Lie beside me then,' he said, 'Like you, I have no wish to be here alone.'

Lan Wangji lay down in the space he left, the two of them always lying close out of necessity even before they had confessed their feelings to one another but even that did not feel close enough as he dragged the blankets over them until their heads were covered to leave them in a safe cocoon of darkness. Wei Ying clearly had the same thought as he pressed as close as possible, tucking his head against Lan Wangji's neck as they wound together.

'What do I do, Lan Zhan?' he said, voice a muffled whisper against his collar.

'For now, rest,' said Lan Wangji, 'For the rest, we do not need to give up hope yet. There is time.'

'Each moment feels like the last before everything ends,' said Wei Wuxian, with a sigh, 'Sorry, I can't help but be maudlin right now.'

'You have always relied on hope and the impossible,' said Lan Wangji, 'Do not let go of that now. We will find a way. Try to sleep if you can. You need to rest.'

'My mind is going too fast to sleep.'

Lan Wangji tucked his fingers into the soft, unbound hair, carding gently through the strands as he began to hum the melody he had written for the man in his arms what felt like more than a lifetime before.

'That won't work, Lan Zhan,' said Wei Wuxian even as he yawned.

'It won't if you keep talking,' said Lan Wangji, 'Rest.'

He felt the small sigh against his neck but smiled as Wei Wuxian allowed his body to rest against him. He knew sleep would be difficult despite his words, the worry and the effect it had on the resentful energy that made up Wei Wuxian's cultivation never conducive to good sleep but even feeling him relax as best he could was a comfort. His own mind was far from quiet, thinking more practically on how they could evade the forces that would hunt them if they ran, of how they could ensure the survival of even the weakest of them on the road when they would not be able to carry much in the way of food and money was reduced to a minimum even if they sold what few treasures they possessed. He knew they would need to leave their homeland entirely, cross the sea to a land not their own and try to build a life there if they were not caught long before they found passage on the water.

His mind turned back to too many months before when he had stood before Wei Wuxian and his rag tag band of Wens, drenched by the rain in a vain attempt to prevent him from leaving but unable to do so when he knew in his heart that Wei Wuxian was right. It would have been so easy to cross the small space between them, so easy to climb onto one of those horses and pledge his sword and his life to the promise they had made as children. Maybe then the world would have noticed that it was peace and not anything dangerous they were searching for. Maybe he could have persuaded them to run before the cultivation world had a chance to vilify them to the point that two innocent men were set upon and nearly framed for murder on their way to the celebration of a child's birth.

He knew it was too late for them to truly to have a chance if they ran, certain that their movements would be known even before they were off the mountain. They could hope that the charity of those who had given them the benefit of the doubt would prevail, that the QingheNie or YunmengJiang watchers might let them pass. Give them a head start before they raised the alarm. It was not enough of a hope though to trust the safety of their charges to it; A-Yuan and his Popo along with all the others who were vulnerable more than likely to be mown down with as much prejudice as those who could perhaps be taken as a risk.

He felt Wei Wuxian flinch as his arms tightened a little too much around him, soothing him with a kiss to his brow as he loosened his hold.

'You're as worried as I am, aren't you?' said Wei Wuxian, 'At least, if this does all end, they'll know that there were two outside of their own blood who cared for them.'

'They are family to me now,' said Lan Wangji, 'I have been more myself here than I have been able to be anywhere else. I know my heart and my mind better than I ever could have hoped to. I have fulfilled the vow we made as best I can and will continue to do so until I am forced otherwise. I am proud of all we have done.'

'I just wish...'

'Wei-Gongzi, Hanguang-Jun, are you awake?'

Any ease that had settled on them was abruptly ended at the sound of Wen Ning's voice, breaking the cover of the blankets to see him stood anxiously in the doorway.

'I am sorry to intrude but you need to come to the barrier. Zewu-Jun and Lan-Xiansheng are waiting on us to open it but I said I could not without checking with you,' said Wen Ning, 'Zewu-Jun said to impress upon you that it was urgent and that they had come unaccompanied so as not to worry you.'

'In the middle of the night,' said Wei Wuxian, turning to Lan Wangji, 'What do we do?'

'We cannot turn them away,' said Lan Wangji, 'If you would prefer not to see them...'

Wei Wuxian shook his head, 'I must,' he said, 'If anything is to be said that affects this village, I want to hear it first hand. Bring them in Wen Ning, we'll receive them in here. I don't want to worry the others.'

Wen Ning nodded and hurried away, leaving them alone as Wei Wuxian climbed quickly out of beds.

'You need to help me get my hair straight since you were the one who unravelled it, Hanguang-Jun,' he said, 'We might not be entirely presentable but I'm not giving anyone an excuse to sanction me further by appearing an entire urchin. What do you think they have come for at such an hour?'

'I do not know,' said Lan Wangji following him to the stool by his desk and pressing him into it before he began to hastily gather up the hair he had unfastened in an effort to chase a little of the outside world away, 'I am sure they will have words for me. I left them with a few of my own that were not at all filial.'

Wei Wuxian reached up and caught hold of his hand. 'I won't let them take you away. I can't do this without you.'

'They will not be able to,' said Lan Wangji, 'I have already made my choice.'

Wei Wuxian pressed a kiss to the back of his hand. 'I know, my love,' he said, releasing him and allowing Lan Wangji to return to straightening his hair.

Though their robes remained their workaday ones rather than the ornate outfits they had received their benefactors in the day before, the room at least was neat enough and the worst of Wei Wuxian's experimental mess was confined to the desk that Lan Wangji ensured was not too illuminated by the candlelight. By the time they heard footsteps outside the cave, they were as presentable as it was possible to be at such an hour, bowing neatly as Lan Qiren and Lan Xichen stepped into the room.

'Wangji, Wei-Gongzi,' said Lan Xichen, as they all sat at the small table, 'Forgive the hour but some things cannot rest. I am sorry if we woke you.'

'I can assure you, Zewu-Jun, that sleep isn't something easily found here given the news from earlier,' said Wei Wuxian, 'If you have come to hasten a decision from us, you will need to wait until dawn at least when we can wake the others and put it to a vote. I would suggest it would be prudent if outsiders were not present for it, there will no doubt be ill feeling and, though we aim to be a peaceful place, people tend to get upset when someone they love is threatened.'

There was a time Lan Wangji would have cautioned Wei Wuxian on his words, especially as he saw the pinch to his uncle's face that bordered on a scowl but he knew he could echo the words himself given a moment to do so, his anger from the morning still not dissipated.

'We are not here to hasten any decision,' said Lan Xichen, 'Quite the contrary. We are here instead to help so one does not need to be made.'

'Forgive me, Zewu-Jun, but given our previous discussion that sounds more like a threat than an offer of assistance,' said Wei Wuxian, 'When we last spoke, you told me that our freedom relied upon the death of Wen Ning and the relinquishing of the power I use to protect us which would leave us all vulnerable. I do not believe the opinion of the cultivation world has changed so suddenly.'

'The cultivation world is unchanged,' said Lan Xichen, 'But perhaps we are.'

'I do not understand.'

'You were not present when we left,' said Lan Xichen, 'You did not hear Wangji's words, words we have both agonised with since.'

'Lan Zhan?' said Wei Wuxian, 'What did you say?'

'He asked what we would do if it was he in Wen Ning's place,' said Lan Qiren, 'And charged us to place the name of Lan where there is currently the name of Wen.'

Lan Wangji recalled the parting words with a shiver, imagine those of his own in such a place and only galvanising himself further into protecting those who found themselves so confined. He saw the open sorrow on his brother's face and the more muted, if pained, expression on his uncle's, looks so different from those they had parted with.

'Sometimes we must ask the difficult questions,' said Lan Xichen, 'Sometimes we must see beyond what is before us. Wangji's words, his challenge to imagine our own in such a place, to imagine him bearing the burden we placed upon Wen Ning, it gave everything a fresh and challenging perspective.'

Wei Wuxian's eyes narrowed, looking between the two men before him before turning to Lan Wangji, frowning as he failed to find an answer in their expressions. 'So what is happening now?'

'For now, things remain unchanged,' said Lan Xichen, 'I will go to Lanling about the release of Jin Zixun as that concerns our own disciples but I will not yet raise the issue of moving anyone from here to another place or a cessation of any pursuit of punishment.'

'And if they force the issue?' said Wei Wuxian, 'Yesterday you were talking in terms of change being imminent and now we are moving no further save for the added risk that Jin Zixun will do something to exact his revenge even if it has been proved that it wasn't me who cursed him.'

'Then I will reassure the other sects that we are working with you to ensure Wen Ning is not a risk to others and that the Yin Hu Fu is studied and brought to a point where it can no longer be seen as dangerous.'

Wei Wuxian shook his head, 'I won't relinquish it. I'm not putting it in anyone else's hands, even to study it.'

'I am quite aware of that, Wei-Gongzi,' said Lan Xichen, 'Though I wish you would demonstrate a little faith...'

'Zewu-Jun, yesterday you wanted my friend dead and me powerless,' he replied, 'Faith is in small commodity.'

'Do you remember who feeds you?' said Lan Qiren, 'Who has ensured your safety?'

'Things we were capable of doing well enough before we were forced into this prison, Lan-Xiansheng,' said Wei Wuxian, 'And no one was asking for a life in trade for safety.'

'He is impossible, we are going to get nowhere with this, Xichen,' said Lan Qiren, his words intended for his eldest nephew even if spoken aloud to the room.

'Why don't we all try for a little patience?' said Lan Xichen, 'Wei-Gongzi, yesterday I came to you with the best intentions but I did not see beyond what the world paints you as. I am sorry. I have been blinkered and I have been ignorant and it took Wangji's words to allow me to see beyond it. It should not have done. I have known no rest since we left. We have agonised over coming here but we are willing to take another road now, if you will join us on it.'

Wei Wuxian's nails scratched at the rough tabletop. 'Under what terms?' he said, 'Forgive me, Lan-Zongzhu, but yesterday you gave us hope for freedom only to snatch it away. I am disinclined to make any motion to follow until I have seen the entire map. You speak of agony, you speak of restlessness as though you expect me to pity it. How do you think we have felt up here? How do you think we have felt knowing we could save lives by paying with others? How do you think we have felt knowing we rely upon Jin-Xiandu and so many others honouring an agreement when they spit on the name of Wen? I'll listen, I owe it to them to listen, but I will not agree to anything until I am as certain as I can be of the end.'

'I cannot give all the answers, I do not know them,' said Lan Xichen, 'But I believe the path will be as follows. We first must gain agreement that the Wens can be found innocent and moved to a place of safety, this much I believe I can achieve. Concerning Wen Ning, we must be able to demonstrate that he cannot be influenced by others to be used as a weapon. This can be done either by somehow eliminating whatever allows him to be controlled or setting upon him a device that reduces his ability to do harm but does not infringe upon his ability to be useful and free in his actions.'

Lan Wangji pressed a toe against Wei Wuxian's ankle, stilling any argument. 'We would need to bring Wen Ning into any discussion but I believe, so long as he is capable to help his family and has full control over himself, he would be likely to consent.'

'So long as he is willing to enter into the discussion freely,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I won't have him bullied and I want the ability to remove the device placed in our hands so that he can be free to help protect the village if necessary.'

Lan Qiren snorted, 'The whole point is to stop him furthering any Wen interests.'

'Their interests are to eat and stay healthy and not risk being murdered,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Wen Ning is a vital part of that.'

'No other village requires the presence of a fierce corpse,' said Lan Qiren.

'No other village is under the threat that they are,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Will you make every other sect fight with one arm tied behind their backs to even the score?'

'Let's not argue too much over semantics,' said Lan Xichen, 'We do not know if such things are even possible but I would hope we can at least begin to look into them. Musical influence appears to play the most part in the control, there may be something we can adapt. To ensure you are happy with the work, perhaps Wangji can assist you.'

'You know I would never let harm come to him,' said Lan Wangji as he felt Wei Wuxian tense, 'We are friends and I would be happy to assist.'

Wei Wuxian nodded, 'Lan Zhan then, but only with Wen Ning's consent,' he said, 'And I want us to be allowed to protect ourselves if he is in any way suppressed. If we are given our freedom, we should have the freedom to bear arms as every other sect and settlement does to protect their own.'

Lan Xichen nodded. 'Let us take it as a place to start from,' he said, 'I do not know that all would agree but, if we have neutralised Wen Ning's superiority, I think the other sects would be more amenable.'

'I do not share your optimism but let us see where things go,' said Wei Wuxian.

Lan Wangji wanted to reach out and rub the tension from his shoulders, to settle the leg that fidgeted beneath the table, and take the hand that was scoring lines in the ageing wood of it. He knew he could not though, his ability to be an assistant in the developing solution reliant on their love affair being unknown.

'It is a start, Wei Ying,' he said, hoping the words would convey what he otherwise could not.

Wei Wuxian's hand curled into a fist against the table. 'For Wen Ning maybe,' he said, 'But we have one more problem with not such an easy solution. I assume in this new found sympathy and understanding, you have not found the ability to allow me to keep the means I have to keep these people safe.'

'Your device is wicked and born from evil,' said Lan Qiren, 'To keep it would be a signal to the world at large what you propose to be and it cannot be allowed.'

'But it could be allowed if it was in your hands or Jin-Xiandu's?' said Wei Wuxian, 'It would be a convenient relic for any of you.'

'We want nothing to do with such a thing,' said Lan Qiren, 'It is a vile weapon that you should never have created.'

'Do you recall which weapon ended the war? Which weapon stopped Wen Ruohan from annihilating everyone?' said Wei Wuxian, 'My vile weapon saved the lives of cultivators from every sect. I only turned it on those who fought against us and I have never used it on anyone since despite all that has been done to us yet you do not trust me to keep it as I have kept it thus far.'

'What we're proposing...' began Lan Xichen but Lan Qiren's words cut him off.

'You are nothing more than a stupid, hot headed child! You have kept it thus far and not used it as far as we know but one glance shows just what you are willing to engage in. This place reeks of evil.'

Wei Wuxian laughed, the sound bitter and forced and laced with too much that reminded Lan Wangji of the worst of the souls they had exorcised from the hills around them.

'You do know where you're sitting don't you?' he said, 'This isn't the Cloud Recesses, this is the Burial Mounds. Even the depths of Hell has less angry souls within it.'

'And you are making great use of them,' said Lan Qiren, 'You speak of peace, of living a life and yet you cling to this abhorrent device, this Hell-born artefact that is too dangerous to be in such foolish hands. You are willing to take our aid, willing to let us speak for you at great cost to our own standing, strand Wangji in this place but you will not give up the one thing asked of you and return to the righteous path. Return to your sword.'

'Do you think I wouldn't if I had the choice to?'

The shout rocked the stones around them, Wei Wuxian falling short of covering his own mouth to prevent any further words escaping him but dropping his head, his half tied hair falling to obscure his face as the silence grew thick around them.

'Wei-Gongzi, Wei Wuxian,' began Lan Xichen gently, 'The path may seem hard but there is always a way back. We are here to assist you. If the journey is long, if it takes time and you retain the Yin Hu Fu for some of it, I am sure we can broker an agreement. What we need is something clear and decided. People will be happier if we have a plan.'

Lan Wangji saw the tremble in Wei Wuxian's hand, the telltale shudder of his ribs that he had felt too often beneath his hands when the pressures of their life had turned to tears that could no longer be held back. There was no path Wei Wuxian could take to return to the sword, no path where he could relinquish the Yin Hu Fu without rendering himself powerless. The thought had been the product of many sleepless nights for them both, Wei Wuxian no more wanting to carry the burden of it but forced to in the hope of protecting those he loved.

He dared to look at Lan Xichen and Lan Qiren, the first wearing an expression of quiet concern whilst the other looked closer to shouting at his former student once again, demanding too much as he always did, stuck to an ancient wall of rules and a lifetime of one opinion. Lan Wangji saw so much of his younger self in his countenance, saw the prejudice and the judgement that it had taken the arrival of Wei Wuxian and the bond they had formed to pull him out of. It had nearly cost Lan Wangji his world on several occasions until time in the mud and the rain and the truth had made him realise that even words carved onto stone could be changed. That three thousand rules carved into rock was one way to live and five promises on a gate as yet unmade was another. The gate that would remain unmade as long as the Yin Hu Fu remained a stumbling block.

The men before him were his blood, his family, his teachers. He had relied on them for so many years, trusted them to guide him and educate him. His brother was calm, steady, always on hand to help where he could but stilted by the weight of a sect on his still young shoulders and the expectations of a sect disappointed in his father's conduct and the unchanging views of their elders. His uncle was stoic, prejudiced, quick to anger, and stubborn to a fault but he was also the most well read man Lan Wangji had ever known, clever and resourceful, well versed in more arts than Lan Wangji could hope to perfect.

He knew it was a risk. That the truth could turn against them as easily as it aided them but he could not see a direction they could take with it unspoken. The truth had the ability to free them or condemn them but, with condemnation the only option before them as it stood, it was a risk he was willing to count on.

'Wei Ying,' he said, 'Come with me. Shufu, Xiongzhang, allow us a moment.'

Wei Wuxian followed him to standing, Lan Wangji taking his arm and leading him to the furthest corner of the room, hoping the touch would offer some grounding and some comfort to the turmoil in the man beside him.

'Wei Ying,' he said, lowering his voice to a whisper he was sure could not be heard, 'Are you alright, my love?'

'Careful,' said Wei Wuxian just as quietly, 'If they find out...Lan Zhan, what do I do? If they halter Wen Ning and I cannot protect them what will happen? I know you will be there but I fear... even now, even with them willing to help, nothing will change. They do not understand.'

'People cannot understand without all the facts,' said Lan Wangji, 'And they do not know all. They believe you perceived reluctance to return to a more traditional cultivation is due to fear and stubbornness. If they knew the truth about your core...'

Wei Wuxian flinched, 'What are you saying?'

'Tell them,' said Lan Wangji, 'Let them understand why.'

'Are you out of your mind?' said Wei Wuxian, 'Lan-Xiansheng...'

'Is a great scholar with access to one of the best libraries of obscure works in the world,' said Lan Wangji, 'Perhaps another solution can be found, one beyond you and me but not beyond them.'

'That secret is keeping us safe.'

'And caged,' said Lan Wangji, 'The choice is yours. I have vowed to keep my silence and I will do so but, if you keep yours, this village either stays where it is and we risk any aid being withdrawn or it moves on without you. They will never let you be free whilst the Yin Hu Fu is perceived as it is right now.'

'The world cannot know,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Jiang Cheng...'

'They would not break a vow to keep the knowledge to themselves.'

Wei Wuxian sighed, 'Yesterday you were at odds with them, now you ask me to trust them.'

'Yes, that is what I am asking,' said Lan Wangji, 'I do not want to but the fact remains that the walls are closing in and this is the only door that is left.'

Haunted eyes met his and he feared for a moment that betrayal would cloud them but instead a deep sadness and resignation pooled in the beloved depths as Wei Wuxian nodded.

'The only door,' he said, 'Lan Zhan, I'm afraid to step through it.'

'I am beside you,' said Lan Wangji, 'I will be beside you whatever we find on the other side.'

Wei Wuxian turned his head towards the opening of the cave, the village beyond shrouded by the night, their charges mostly sleeping and ignorant of the turmoil being suffered by their protector. Their lives and their freedom hinged on the choices being made, their family in the hands of people who did not bear their name.

'I do not know how to begin,' said Wei Wuxian, 'What to say?'

'One step, then another,' said Lan Wangji, 'When you lose the words, I will find them. I am at your side.'

'At my side,' said Wei Wuxian, taking a shuddering breath, 'Let's open the door.'

Chapter 20: Instinct

Notes:

I am so sorry for the long wait for this chapter, I've been poorly this week and struggled to write more than a few words a day so this took longer than expected. A few trigger warnings for this chapter, mentions of cannibalism (historic), blood, injury with minor violence and a brief depiction of suicide by poisoning (not a named character and no great detail). If any of these warnings are likely to upset you I would caution no to read beyond the beginning of the argument between LQR and WWX and instead ask for a brief synopsis of the chapter without this detail which I can happily provide. x

Chapter Text

He would have been amused in his youth to see the usually calm, placid, ever smiling Lan Xichen gaping like a landed fish, eyes blown wide as his lips moved in a futile search for words. He would have made a quip about having pulled something similar out of the waters of Yunmeng, offered him water to keep his fins wet, or threatened to cook him over an open fire. Now though it was all too much to bear, to see that the story that had been so haltingly told had rendered such a eloquent man completely speechless.

At least there was some discernable reaction from Lan Xichen. Lan Qiren, on the other hand had turned his attention to the wall of the cave, his profile shadowed by the candlelight and his expression unreadable. Wei Wuxian was not sure if that was a blessing or a curse as he kept tight hold of Lan Wangji's hand against the table top.

Lan Wangji, who had been a pillar of strength at his side as he had begun his tale, had calmed him when it grew too much before taking up the story himself when Wei Wuxian been unable to find the words. Wei Wuxian had lost them the moment he spoke of discovering Jiang Cheng missing from their hastily secured lodgings after the fall of Lotus Pier, the story harder to tell when the people listening where not his most trusted companion in the world, when they held the lives of so many that he loved rather than his heart in their hands. Lan Wangji had taken his hand without hesitation or fear as he had begun speaking in Wei Wuxian's place and it had been something for him to cling to as he waited for the reactions of the men before him.

He was certain his worry and upset had masked his shock as Lan Wangji amended the story, made no mention of Jiang Cheng's crushed core, only of injuries, focusing strongly on the role Wen Ning had played in assisting Wei Wuxian in saving his Shidi and recovering the bodies of Jiang Fengmian and Yu Ziyuan. He spoke of care and secrecy and hiding and debts owed, skipping over untruths about Baoshan Sanren and truths of the amazing medical procedure that Wei Wuxian would never forget even if he somehow lived for a thousand years. He spoke of an attempt to regroup only to meet with Wen Chao and Wen Zhuliu. He spoke of Wei Wuxian being thrown to the Burial Mounds without a core, the blame implied but not explicitly linked to the hands of a dead man who had been so feared for his power to destroy the most fundamental part of a cultivator who could not offer any denial from his grave.

He wished the truth was nearly as heroic as Lan Wangji made it sound when he told them of how he had survived the terror and the torment of the Burial Mounds, had found a way to cultivate using the resentful energy that surrounded him and had refined the Yin Hu Fu with his wits and grit alone. It was a triumphant return that brought him back to the world, ridding them all of the terror of Wen Chao and Wen Zhuliu, maintaining the secrecy of his power so that it could not be leaked back to the enemy before unleashing it and saving so many lives as he brought Wen Ruohan's terror to an end.

He had left the story there, the rest known or witnessed by the rest of the cultivation world when the actions of Wei Wuxian had been watched and judged and found lacking until he had made the worst error in their eyes of freeing people held unjustly in appalling captivity and used as living targets and bait.

Wei Wuxian hoped there would be a day when the world was kinder and the past a distant memory that only ached when he looked at it too hard, that he could tease Lan Wangji about how his words had always been so calculated until he had seemingly discovered himself a poet in Wei Wuxian's defence. He feared though, as the silence continued to reign and their companions appeared shocked beyond all sense, that that future would be nothing but a dream as everything hinged on their reactions to the heavily abridged story.

He took a shuddering breath as Lan Wangji's fingers tightened around his, the grip sure and certain and held with little fear. He could only hope the men before him took it as a gesture of comfort between friends rather than anything more, not wanting them to hold anything against Lan Wangji should their opinion turn against Wei Wuxian so entirely. He doubted though, as he met the warm, concerned gaze of his partner, that Lan Wangji would care if they stripped him of every privilege and honour attributed to his name and left him as much a beggar as Wei Wuxian was.

'Did I miss out anything important, Wei Ying?' he said, the subtle question phrased simply but asking for much more.

Wei Wuxian shook his head, 'No. I think you covered everything of importance,' he said.

He had wanted to avoid ever forcing Lan Wangji to become a liar for him but he would not refuse the offer made, albeit silently, to keep Jiang Cheng's name and the true reason he was without his core from the world. If the blame lay with Wen Zhuliu, Jiang Cheng would never be burdened with the truth, Wen Qing would never be held accountable as some demon butcher who stole the core of a once noble disciple of an honourable sect, Wen Ning would be remembered as someone who carried a sect heir from the ruins of his home and to safety rather than the one who held down that heir's Shixiong whilst he screamed and begged for death.

Wei Wuxian shuddered at the sudden memory, his face burning hot with the remembered pain even as the rest of him felt cold. His head spun, the agony only just beneath the surface of his skin, clawing at the scar across his abdomen as it had done with abandon when it was fresh.

'Wei Ying?' said Lan Wangji, free hand pressing to his brow with a frown, 'What is it? What do you need?'

'I'm fine,' he said, 'Just...a lot. I'll be alright in a moment.'

Lan Wangji's concerned words and sudden movements seemed to rouse his brother from his shock, bright eyes dulled with sympathy as he spoke.

'Wei Gongzi...'

'Why did you keep this secret? Why did you not ask for aid?' snapped Lan Qiren, cutting off his nephew as he got to his feet, 'Why did you allow this abhorrent cultivation take a hold of you?'

'I didn't have a choice,' said Wei Wuxian, hating that he had to look up at his former teacher as he loomed over him but not knowing if he could trust he legs to support him if he stood, 'It was this or death when they threw me in here.'

'A necessity in the moment but why not after you had escaped?' said Lan Qiren, 'Why did you turn this evil into the world rather than find help to counter it? You arrogant, foolish boy. Did you ever stop to think that something like this would be beyond you, that the entire world...'

'Would have fallen to Wen Ruohan,' said Wei Wuxian, his strength returning as the resentment in him chose to rush to the fore, springing him to his feet despite Lan Wangji's protests beside him, 'Would you have preferred tens of thousands of corpses over one person's conduct? Would you have preferred I had left them all to die?'

'You should have confessed afterwards, taken help that would have been offered.'

'Offered!' scoffed Wei Wuxian, 'Hidden in the back hills of the Cloud Recesses, meals delivered by someone blind, deaf and mute so I couldn't corrupt them whilst you fired Clarity and whatever other useless healing you could find at me. All the time reminding me this was a lesson for my past behaviour, that I was too arrogant and sure and that I provoked Wen Chao. Reminded daily that the blood of Jiang-Zongzhu and Yu-Furen was on my hands and would always be on my hands along with all my Shidi and Shimei who died that day. You would have spent years healing me by reminding me that it was all my fault whilst letting Jin Guangshan murder the innocent in the name of justice. Do you really think I would not have preferred this? I would take eating the rotten flesh I tore from the bones in the ground outside over your so-called help any day. I would rather have this pain than what you and the rest of the world would have given me if they knew.'

'You...'

'Stop! Stop the pair of you,' said Lan Wangji, forcing himself between them, his back to Lan Qiren as he took hold of Wei Wuxian's shoulders, 'Calm down. You'll only hurt yourself. Please calm down.'

'I'm sorry,' he said, feeling the worst of his anger leave him, shame and horror replacing it just as swiftly, 'I just can't...'

'I know,' said Lan Wangji, 'I promised I'd walk through this door with you and I will follow whatever road comes after, however long or short it is. I'm at your side. This is it now, this is the end of it.'

Wei Wuxian frowned at the words, wanting to keep Lan Wangji where he was as he shielded him from the room even as he turned to face Lan Qiren and Lan Xichen.

'You've had the truth from us,' said Lan Wangji, 'There is nothing left to say now. If you free this village under the terms you have stated, you will leave them vulnerable and they will be killed. If you chain Wen Ning's strength, they will be killed. If you make Wei Ying destroy the Yin Hu Fu, they will be killed. There is no path where this ends happily. We can do no more than we have done. Wei Ying has never turned his cultivation against anyone save those who placed themselves as our enemy, instead he has used it to protect and help those who we were all too willing to turn a blind eye to. If you cannot help us further then I understand...we understand but this village will stand and it will fall together.'

'Wangji, think clearly,' said Lan Xichen, 'Surely there is another way.'

'Can you see one? I cannot,' said Lan Wangji, 'Not if every truth and every promise is met with threats and blame. Was not the Nie Sect's cultivation once considered abhorrent and wrong? I am sure, should we go back far enough, even our own practices have deviated from what was once taught but we have done it, we have allowed it for good. Wei Ying does not seek to keep his power for gain but for the assurance that innocent lives will not pay for the actions of others. If you can find an alternative, then share it but, if not...we just want to live and every road is blocked because no one will fight for us. The moment backs are turned, this village, wherever it stands will be dust and Jin-Xiandu will have made his point. You will have the Yin Hu Fu destroyed, Wen Ning captive, the last of the Wen name dead but you will not have peace. You will have replaced a phantom enemy with a real one. Jin-Xiandu already holds sway over you all when he had no right to claim that place so quickly.'

'Jin-Xiandu was generous in his assistance when we needed aid to rebuild,' said Lan Qiren, temper only just held back as he stared daggers at them both.

'Material goods after the event. Money so easily spent,' said Lan Wangji, 'He hid whilst the Cloud Recesses burned, he hid whilst the Unclean Realm struggled to survive, he hid whilst Lotus Pier bled, he hid when we went out to fight and when Wei Ying dragged himself from the very pits of Hell to save us with his abhorrent cultivation. Who is the braver man? Who is the more just and generous? Which man asks for nothing more than land and the tools to farm it in peace? Which man asks for the weapon the world calls evil and expects everyone to agree it should be his? Which man would you trust more? When you trust the wrong one, as everyone seems to, how long until the very mountain we call home kowtows to him for fear he will rule as harshly as Wen Ruohan did? I would rather die on this mountain with these good people than live another day in the world Jin Guangshan will build for you out there.'

'Lan Zhan, don't say that,' said Wei Wuxian, wanting nothing more than for whatever still existed beneath the mountain to drag him down to whatever fate awaited him if only to save his lover, 'It is not your path to die, not here, not like this.'

'I could not live on in a world that did not see you all safe,' said Lan Wangji, 'If we cannot find anyone to help us then our fate is our own. Fight for as long as we can and then, when we can hold out no longer...'

'What has he turned you into?' said Lan Qiren, 'Listen to yourself.'

'Stop it,' said Lan Xichen, his words sharper and harsher than Wei Wuxian had ever heard from him before, sorrow and anger warring for dominance in his eyes, 'You're as bad as each other and I...I am still...must we only find paths that lead to death? Haven't we seen enough suffering? There must be a way. I won't accept that there is not a way.'

Wei Wuxian felt the last of his fight leave him, hating the horror in Lan Xichen's eyes that was all too similar to the expression he had seen on Lan Wangji's face whenever it felt like they were facing impossible odds. It was a look that was normally followed by something ridiculous and reckless but each time it had worked and he had to take the chance that it could work again.

'I want there to be a way,' he said, 'But I can't see one.'

'Not right now but we have more understanding now,' said Lan Xichen, 'We can take our time and find an answer.'

'To what end?' said Lan Qiren, 'The Yin Hu Fu cannot exist and there is nothing to be done with a person without a core.'

Wei Wuxian laid a hand on Lan Wangji's arm as he watched him bristle, stilling whatever defence he was about to offer.

'Lan Zhan, he's right,' he said, 'There's nothing I can do if I don't have the Yin Hu Fu.'

'It should not be implied that you are without use without it,' said Lan Wangji, 'Your mind and your compassion are more important than any weapon. Our rules never spoke of cultivation ability.'

'Rules?' said Lan Xichen, 'Our rules...'

'Not our rules,' said Lan Wangji, 'But here, this place, if it ever became a village that could exist in the world, it would be governed by five rules. Family, acceptance, sanctuary, bravery and hospitality.'

Lan Xichen's face softened even as something akin to heartache settled in his eyes. 'Wangji,' he said, 'That...'

'Who is there?' snapped Lan Qiren, his sudden words followed by a squeak from the doorway.

'I was scared,' came A-Yuan's frightened voice, 'I want Xian-Gege.'

'A-Yuan,' said Wei Wuxian, peering through the gloom in the narrow doorway until the small boy came into view, his clothes only those he had gone to bed in with his feet bare, 'Come in, get on the bed. It's so cold out.'

'Why is this child coming to your rooms in the middle of the night?' said Lan Qiren, 'I thought he had a relation who took care of him.'

'He does,' said Lan Wangji as A-Yuan hurried over to the bed, his eyes running nervously over Lan Qiren and Lan Xichen, 'But he feels safest in here sometimes. A-Yuan, why did you come in the dark. The ground could have been dangerous. Is it raining outside? Your clothes are wet.'

A-Yuan nodded. 'I don't like the rain but I was scared of the scratching by my wall. Popo said she couldn't hear it but I could and I was scared and I wanted you and Xian-Gege,' he said as Lan Wangji wrapped a blanket around his shoulders.

'Scratching,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Let's hope it's not rats again. I'll pull the floor up and look in the morning. We've only just got rid of the last lot. Did anything bite you A-Yuan? Don't hide it like you did last time, you can get very sick. If anything has bitten you I'll go and wake up Qing-Gugu.'

'No bites,' said A-Yuan, holding his hands out to show him with a small smile, 'Kiss anyway?'

Wei Wuxian pressed a kiss to his palm before he sighed, 'A-Yuan, I need to take you back to Popo. Lan-Xiansheng and Zewu-Jun need to talk to us but the conversation is only for adults.'

'But I'm scared,' said A-Yuan, 'There was lots of scratching and a funny sound like...'

The sound was hollow, dead, weak but broke through the quiet of the night all the same. The drum they had patched and mounted in the watch tower in the hope they would never have to use it to warn of coming danger.

'A-Yuan, stay here.' said Wei Wuxian, snatching Chenqing from where it rested beside the bed, Lan Wangji already across the room with Bichen in hand.

He turned to see Lan Xichen and Lan Qiren trading concerned looks, hands moving to the swords they had carried with them from Yiling.

'If you will not defend this place with us,' he said, his voice low with warning, 'Do not hinder us in defending it ourselves.'

He did not wait for an answer, hurrying into the darkness and the drizzle, several lamps already alight as the Wens moved from their homes, armed with whatever they could carry, the few swords Lan Wangji had brought back with him months before looking dull in the low light. He only hoped that their two unexpected guests would turn a blind eye to the weapons.

He pushed all thoughts of them aside though, hurrying to Wen Ning who stood amidst the assembled villagers.

'What's happening?'

'There was a figure, sneaking around the houses,' he said, 'I saw it. It was a person, not a ghost. I raised the alarm but lost sight of him. He could be anywhere.'

'Are you certain?' said Wei Wuxian, as more lanterns were lit around them.

'I am certain, Wei-Gongzi.'

Wei Wuxian felt an icy finger creep up his spine, 'Was it near A-Yuan and Popo's house?'

Wen Ning nodded, 'I saw A-Yuan go to you,' he said, 'I was about to follow and bring him back when I saw the figure. Popo came out when I raised the alarm.'

'A-Yuan heard scratching,' said Lan Wangji, 'If someone was trying to gain entry that could explain it.'

Wei Wuxian turned back to the cave as Lan Qiren emerged from it, his eyes sharp as he saw the gathered villagers.

'Xichen is staying with the child. He is frightened,' he said, 'What is happening?'

'Lan-Xiansheng,' said Wei Wuxian, 'When you came in today, was in just you and Zewu-Jun? We believe there may be an intruder and I would hope he is not from a sect we claim as allies but I want to know before I flush him out.'

Lan Qiren looked set to argue for the insinuation before he shook his head. 'I was just the pair of us,' he said, 'I did not see anyone else on the way up.'

'I did not feel the barrier breach,' said Wei Wuxian, 'And it would have been skill to slip through with you. Si-Shu, get the vulnerable into the main hall. Take a few to protect them. A-Yuan is in my rooms with Zewu-Jun. Take them both with you. I would not hurt to have a good swordsman with those who cannot protect themselves.'

Several of the Wens broke from the group, guiding those who could not fight to the hall. He caught sight of Wen Qing hovering before she noticed several of their weaker members stumbling in their efforts to follow over the poorly lit ground. With a small nod, she headed with them, able to offer both medicine and defence from the cave.

'Search in pairs,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Take lanterns with you, don't worry about the cost. If you find anyone, bring them alive unless you're not given a choice. Wen Ning, go back into the tower, keep a watch over everything. If you see anything, alert with the drum.'

Wen Ning nodded, hurrying back to the watch tower that looked one storm away from toppling as Wei Wuxian turned to Lan Wangji, 'When we find them, however many they are, we need to find how they got in. The barrier...'

'One step at a time,' said Lan Wangji, 'Let's make sure we're not tilting at shadows first.'

'In this vile place I would be more worried about the shadows,' said Lan Qiren.

'Then you know very little about our lives,' said Wei Wuxian, 'If you will help us search, I would be grateful. If you do not wish to, there are vulnerable and innocent people in the main hall, even you would not deny them protection. Come on, Lan Zhan.'

'The sooner this phantom is discovered and put to rest the better,' said Lan Qiren, 'If you fear the barrier was breached we should work from here and back out towards it.'

'I did not feel anything,' said Wei Wuxian, 'The only change was when Wen Ning lowered it enough for you to come through but that closed quickly and it was only a small section. If he managed to slip through with you, he will be well practised at concealing himself.'

'We were careful,' said Lan Qiren, 'We did not know what awaited us.'

'Were you afraid my terrifying court of demons and ghosts would ambush you?' said Wei Wuxian, stifling a yelp at the elbow Lan Wangji drove into his side.

'With the way we parted, it was a concern,' said Lan Qiren as they reached the small, wooden path to the storehouse, 'The lock.'

Wei Wuxian hurried to the lock that was hanging, still swinging a little where it had been partially forced open. His look to Lan Wangji needed no explanation, Bichen a flash of white against the far duller, darker robes he had taken to wearing in the Burial Mounds as he made his way to the rear of the storehouse. Lan Qiren's robes, lighter for ease of travel than he had worn in the Cloud Recesses, were far brighter in comparison, but Wei Wuxian was glad to easily keep one of them in sight in the gloom even as Lan Wangji faded into the shadows.

It was the white robes that provoked their uninvited desk, Wei Wuxian only just hearing the whispered title that was spoken as a curse.

'Hanguang-Jun.'

It was barely a breath between the curse and the swing of a blade, directed not at Lan Wangji in his dark robes but Lan Qiren. The older man parried but the swordsman carried another blade which he swung with equal ferocity, the natural hill giving him the upper hand as Lan Qiren's boots slipped a little in the mud. Wei Wuxian gave no thought to the move, Chenqing blocking the blade before it could strike his former teacher. It left his side vulnerable though, his body a shield for Lan Qiren but with no ability to protect himself as the sharp blade cut quick across his side. The pain was enough to take his feet out from under him, the floor beneath made slick with the rain.

Strong arms caught him but their assailant made good his escape with no one to counter him. He heard the shout leave Lan Qiren's lips, the shadowy figure of Lan Wangji appearing from his own search with a speed born of years of training under his uncle's tutelage. The intruder soon caught and held in place, Bichen at his throat as he stilled against Lan Wangji's strength.

'Who sent you here?' said Lan Wangji, 'What did you come to do?'

'Get me to him,' said Wei Wuxian, grateful when Lan Qiren didn't argue with him and instead steadied him with an arm around his waist, bearing him across the short distance.

Two quick movements of Lan Qiren's sword rid the intruder of his own, both clattering to the ground. It was not that sound that caught Wei Wuxian's attention though but the crunch from their intruder's mouth as though he had bitten down hard onto something. The cruel glint in his eyes as he regarded Wei Wuxian lasted only a moment before he began to convulse, white foam spilling from his lips as Lan Wangji had to move Bichen from his throat to avoid decapitating him as he fell forward in his grip. By the time he hit the floor, any life that had been in him was gone, a crumpled rag doll in the mud and the rain.

'Poison,' said Lan Qiren, his arm tightening as Wei Wuxian's legs trembled beneath him, 'You need medical attention.'

'I'm fine,' said Wei Wuxian, 'We need to make sure that no one else is in the village.'

'Others can search,' said Lan Qiren, 'You are stubborn but I sincerely hope you're not stupid. You are no use to these people if you're injured and bleeding all over the floor. Without a core to stabilise you, you need treatment.'

'Shufu is right,' said Lan Wangji, 'Get to Wen Qing. I will regroup with the others and keep searching. I will bring this one to her as well, find out what he used to kill himself with. It might give us some answers.'

Wei Wuxian reached for his hand, not caring for their audience as he took it. 'He said your name. He said Hanguang-Jun. He thought Lan-Xiansheng was you. Please be careful. Bring Wen Ning down from the tower, send someone else up. They won't see as well as he can in the dark but I want him at your side.'

'I'll go to him directly and update you on anything else we find,' said Lan Wangji, 'Go to Wen Qing. Shufu?'

'I'll ensure he gets there,' said Lan Qiren, 'I will send Xichen out to assist. I will stay with those who are more vulnerable.'

Wei Wuxian reluctantly let go of Lan Wangji's hand as Lan Qiren righted his grip on him to make the journey to the main hall easier. He wanted to stay, to insist on helping with the search but the wound at his side bled hot and he could feel himself weakening, cursing once more his own fragile state that the Yin Hu Fu they had been speaking of not long before could not even counter. The journey back was slow, hindered by the rain and Wei Wuxian's limping gait. The villagers they passed along the way were quick to offer aid and reluctant to leave whenever Wei Wuxian asked them to continue the search rather than worry about him but they heeded his requests all the same, the dawn at least beginning to crest the horizon and promising to bring better light even through the remaining clouds.

He was growing too used to submitting to Wen Qing's treatment, doing so with little protest once Lan Qiren had helped him back to the main hall. Lan Xichen joined the search at Lan Qiren's instruction, sent towards the storehouse to help bring the body of the intruder back, whilst his uncle saw to settling Wei Wuxian on the coarse matting that had served as a bed for Wen Qing's patients on far too many occasions. It had felt odd to have been kept still and steady by hands that had never seemed to treat him with kindness before as Wen Qing cleaned and stitched the thankfully shallow wound, wrapping the bandages tight around his abdomen. It was equally strange to be led gently to a place beside the wall where he could rest as the matting was used to lay out the body of the intruder for Wen Qing to examine.

Despite refusing all medicine for the pain to ensure he had his wits about him should more uninvited guests be discovered, he still felt the fatigue of a night without sleep and the stresses of their unexpected arrivals both fair and foul, his head soon nodding a little and forcing him to struggle to keep his eyes open. He managed a thin smile to Wen-Popo as she came to join them, A-Yuan asleep in her arms and carried as though he weighed nothing despite the strain his growing body would have on her back. She was unwilling to relinquish him though, struggling down to sitting as she held him rather than pass him to Lan Qiren as he offered to help her. Wei Wuxian had braced for a moment for his former teacher to take offence but Lan Qiren remained quiet and thoughtful beside them as the voices around the hall continued at a low murmur even as those capable of doing so began arranging the morning meal for everyone.

He hadn't realised his eyes had fallen closed until he wrenched them open at the sound of Lan Qiren getting to his feet in a hurry. He looked around for any sign of alarm, hating that he had let himself give in to his body's demands for rest, but instead saw Lan Qiren stood with the young woman expecting the first of the village's new residents, their conversation low but animated as she pointed to something on the floor.

'What's happening?' he said, struggling to his feet, startling a little as a warm hand came to rest on his arm to steady him.

'They've found something,' said Wen Qing, 'By the wall.'

Wei Wuxian was glad for her support as they made the short journey to join them, the floor between them marked with dirt and loose stones.

'Wei-Gongzi. I swept this floor last night. I was cleaning up after supper and I know I swept everything. This was not like this and it trails.'

'Trails?' said Wei Wuxian, Wen Qing helping him to follow the dust and dirt with Lan Qiren behind them, the others left behind in the hall to avoid crowding the passageway.

It had always felt like a strange blessing to have so many pathways and corridors cut into the caves, several secret chambers always holding promise to provide a hideaway if they were ever overcome but he could see the curse it was as well as Lan Qiren waved a hand to light the path before them, revealing the thin, easily missed corridor through the wall that Wei Wuxian feared would lead to either a hideaway or worse a pathway to the other side of the mountain if it was followed.

'I thought our intruder was a farmer of sorts,' said Wen Qing, 'He has dirt under his nails and his hands had raw blisters on them. I assumed farm work but if he had been digging for another reason, the marks would be consistent.'

'Wei Wuxian,' said Lan Qiren as the path continued on in twists and turns before them, 'Your barrier, how far does it extend?'

'As far as all the external entrances and exits around the village,' he said, dread throbbing almost as painfully as the wound on his side.

'And over the other side of the mountain?'

Wei Wuxian shook his head, 'It covers us,' he said, 'To prevent an attack from above but I had assumed the bulk of the mountain...if there was a weakness the other side.'

'He dug his way in. There must be old pathways through and if someone has the tenacity to find them, they will prove a vulnerability,' said Lan Qiren, 'A search should be made, to find the end of this and to ascertain where it goes. For now though, a temporary fix.'

A wave of his hand brought a shimmering barrier into view, the mark of it similar to the one on the gate of the Cloud Recesses and strong enough to deflect an attack.

'It will hold for a while but you will need to make a thorough search for any more weak points,' said Lan Qiren, 'If people are looking to exploit any weaknesses, they should not be able to find any.'

'Why come alone though?' said Wen Qing, 'If they had found their way in, why not bring in an army. Dead of night, you could have brought a hundred strong in single file and...'

'Don't,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I should have thought. I'm sorry I didn't see this coming. I left you all at risk.'

'You could not have planned for every eventuality,' said Wen Qing, as they turned back towards the main hall, 'We're just lucky there was no further hurt caused and that it appears he was working alone.'

'But on whose orders?' said Wei Wuxian, 'And why...before he attacked, he said Hanguang-Jun. He saw Lan-Xiansheng's robes and assumed...why would they come for Lan Zhan?'

'And why attack the store and be searching around Popo's house?' said Wen Qing.

'I saw the house,' said Lan Qiren, 'It is the best out of all that have been built and the newest looking.'

'To replace the one that collapsed,' said Wei Ying, 'And Popo and A-Yuan are two of the most in need of comfort, it makes sense for them to have as comfortable home as we can give them.'

'More comfortable than a bedroom in a cave,' said Lan Qiren, 'And more than likely to be either the home of the Yiling Laozu or to be the place given to the person sent by the sects to watch over him. I believe, in searching the outside of that house, he was searching for a way in to you or Wangji. When he didn't locate you and realised he had been discovered, attacking the stores would cause you harm as well.'

'But why would he attack you thinking you were Lan Wangji,' said Wen Qing, 'Especially if Wei Wuxian was there as well.'

Wei Wuxian froze, icy fear running up his back, 'Because if I was killed that way, they run the risk of never finding the Yin Hu Fu,' he said, 'But if Lan Zhan is killed...they'd kill him and blame it on me, like Meng Yao and Su She tried to do with Jin Zixuan. They didn't realise...Lan-Xiansheng, I am most certainly glad you came to argue with me again tonight, it could well have saved many lives.'

Lan Qiren was silent for a moment, his pace quickening as they broke into the light of the cave. 'Let us not make suppositions until we have more evidence,' he said, 'Wen-Guniang, were you able to ascertain what killed him?'

'There is residue of a white substance on his lips, a powder on his gums,' she said, lowering her voice as they passed the others, 'I cannot say for certain what the substance is but there are many fast acting poisons that can be milled into a pill that, when ingested, can cause instant death. If he was sent here, then it was probably feared that he would be tortured if caught, suicide therefore would be a better option.'

'And keep his benefactor secret,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Lets hope he has something else on him that identifies him.'

'His clothes are non-distinct and simply made,' said Wen Qing, 'No identifying marks or colours.'

'We did not see enough of his sword work to make a judgement from that either,' said Lan Qiren, 'Perhaps the remaining search will reveal something.'

Wei Wuxian wasn't sure how much more he wanted revealed to them, too many thoughts racing through his head as they returned to where they had been sitting before. He knew it could not be an opportunist thief that had then happened upon them, their poverty and the fear that surrounded the mountain too much for someone to risk for a few meagre possessions. He was sure his own assassination would only be something those against him would do as a last resort, a public death on the battlefield or a public execution for a crime far more glamorous for those who would want to use his defeat for their own gain. The fact that the attacker had been skulking around the best of their small houses and had attacked someone in clear GusuLan robes made his thoughts about someone trying to frame him for Lan Wangji's murder all the more real in his head. He knew, should Lan Wangji be discovered missing, even the presentation of the assassin alive would have led to Wei Wuxian bearing the blame for it.

His mind refused to let go of the thought. He imagined their assailant, laid out in the corner as Wen Qing returned to her assessment of his death and search for any clues as to where he had come from, finding his way from his passageway in the hall to Wei Wuxian's own small cave. He imagined them being found, not in the presence of unexpected guests who had kept them awake in the night but instead sleeping soundly. He imagined waking to the rush of Lan Wangji's breath as a sword laid its claim and took his life. He imagined the revenge he would have wrought so swiftly, leaving them without even a body of the assassin to present to the world as Wei Wuxian lived up to every gruesome part of the character the world had given him.

'Wei-Gongzi?'

He shook the darkening thoughts from his mind as a soft, bony hand took hold of his wrist, his eyes coming to focus on Wen Popo who offered him a mournful smile when she realised she had his attention.

'Nothing too bad happened, Wei-Gongzi,' she said, 'We are still safe.'

He looked at the child still asleep in her arms, his little hands curled to fists beneath his chin as he rest soundly against her chest.

'So much could have gone worse,' he said, 'I'm sorry.'

She shook her head, 'Do not apologise. You always do the best for us. Does your wound hurt?'

Wei Wuxian smiled, 'I've had worse on the training ground.'

'And moaned about it until someone pampered you, no doubt.'

He looked up as Lan Wangji's voice came from above, watching as he bowed to his uncle who had settled a little further away and had been caught in conversation with two of the elderly men who had been spared from the search due to their years, before he settled himself down beside Wei Wuxian.

'Did you find anything else?' he said, 'Anyone else?'

Lan Wangji shook his head, 'Though the search will continue with the daylight,' he said, 'But I think whoever he was, he was working alone this time. I heard you found a passageway that he may have come from.'

Wei Wuxian nodded, 'We will need to search it,' he said, 'I never thought...we're so vulnerable.'

'We could have the best defences in the world and still find there are weaknesses,' said Lan Wangji, 'I will organise a search. Xiongzhang has gone to walk the barrier with Wen Ning, check we did not miss anything there.'

'I never thought I would find myself glad for him and Lan-Xiansheng being here tonight but at least we were awake to counter him because of them and we have external witnesses who can...they'll know, if anything like this happens again.'

'We will be more cautious going forward,' said Lan Wangji, 'Double the watch at night and I have already asked Xiongzhang to allow us provision for more lanterns to which he has agreed. I will get everything started. You need to focus on healing.'

'Listen to him, Wei-Gongzi,' said Wen Popo, 'You will do no one any favours if you allow that wound to worsen or become infected. I trust our Hanguang-Jun to keep us safe in your stead.'

Wei Wuxian smiled, 'Our Hanguang-Jun?' he said, 'You have been adopted fully now it seems.'

'An honour,' said Lan Wangji, 'And I hope I live up to it.'

Wei Wuxian hurried to cover a bark of laughter that shot pain through his side at the starstruck smile that soon curved Wen Popo's lips, certain the majority of the women in the village, young or old, were almost as in love with their precious Second Jade as he was. The sound roused A-Yuan though, the little boy rubbing his eyes as he raised his head, a small, tired smile quickly chased away by a frown.

'Are there any more bad men?' he said, pressing closer to his grandmother.

Wei Wuxian shook his head, 'No, little radish, no more bad men,' he said, 'We're safe for now.'

'I heard him outside my house,' said A-Yuan, 'I came to tell you about the scratching.'

'You did well to hear it,' said Lan Wangji, 'But you still must be careful crossing the village at night. It can be dangerous in the dark.'

A-Yuan wriggled out of Wen Popo's arms, crossing on sleep shaky legs to Lan Wangji before folding himself into his lap.

'I wanted you and Xian-Gege,' he said, fingers knotting into the tail of Lan Wangji's ribbon without a thought, 'You make me safe.'

'And we will always do our best to make sure you remain so,' said Lan Wangji, 'And I will do so doubly until Xian-Gege is better.'

'Do you need me to hold your hand, Xian-Gege?' said A-Yuan, 'Make it better like the last time.'

Wei Wuxian nodded, taking the hand A-Yuan held out to him. 'I feel better already, little radish.'

He wanted nothing more than to lean against Lan Wangji and sleep, hoping that rest would ease a little of the ache in his side but he could not risk such a closeness when he kept looking up to find Lan Qiren studying them, the conversation they had been having before the intruder had diverted it weighing all too heavily on his memory. He was glad for A-Yuan's chatter at least, the boy seemingly over the scare of the night as only a child could be as he peppered them with his own half dreamed up stories and recitations from the lessons Lan Wangji gave him.

The distraction lasted until Lan Xichen entered with Wen Ning beside him, the two of them speaking quietly before Wen Ning headed towards his sister and Lan Xichen towards where Wei Wuxian was sitting, waving them all down before they could stand.

'You are injured, Wei-Gongzi,' he said, 'Please stay where you are. We could find no fault with the barrier so it appears the tunnel theory is more than likely. I will send people to check the far side of the mountain for any sign of entrance from there and I suggest you make a thorough search of all the potential tunnels here as swiftly as you can.'

'We should have thought to do so sooner,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Thank you for helping us with this.'

'This attack goes against what was agreed by all the sects,' he said, 'You were not to be interfered with until a decision had been made. With your permission, I would like to take the body with us. I want it examined by independent doctors, though do not take that as any slight on Wen-Guniang's abilities, I simply wish to present evidence that will not be called biased by anyone who wishes to see it. I hope I can ascertain not only the poison that killed him but also how he came to be here and what his intent was.'

Wei Wuxian nodded, 'You're welcome to him,' he said, 'We've got enough bones here as it is.'

'If you can spare a cart and several men to help us take it down the mountain, I will guarantee their safe passage off the mountain and back,' said Lan Xichen, 'If my word is not sufficient, Wangji may accompany us as well.'

Wei Wuxian laid a hand on Lan Wangji's arm as he went to answer.

'Zewu-Jun's word is sufficient,' he said, 'But if Lan Zhan wishes to accompany you, he may.'

'I believe I am better placed here,' said Lan Wangji, 'We are as certain as we can be that this incident was isolated but, with Wei Ying injured, I would prefer to keep watch here.'

Lan Xichen nodded, 'As you wish,' he said, 'We will begin our preparations.'

'Ask Wen Ning to direct you to the cart and those who could help you,' said Wei Wuxian, 'But eat before you go. It isn't much but it would be a poor host who sent you on a journey without a meal to begin it.'

He knew the offering would be meagre but was glad when Lan Xichen accepted it, grateful at least that the more austere diet of the GusuLan sect would make it a slightly more palatable affair. It seemed though that Lan Xichen and Lan Qiren preferred to dine alone, finding there own space as the meal was laid out and eating in the usual silence. When the food was finished and the clearing had begun, he made sure to send those who were capable to begin making a study of the tunnel, whilst he waited with Lan Wangji to bid goodbye to their guests. A-Yuan, despite Wen Popo's efforts, refused to accompany her, instead clinging close to Lan Wangji who only just managed to get him to stand on his own two feet if he conceded to keep hold of his hand.

As their guests rose from their seats, Wei Wuxian moved as best he could without limping as he followed Lan Wangji and A-Yuan to them. He smiled as the little boy forgot his fear of the pair, loosing Lan Wangji's hand and crossing the Lan Qiren, tugging on his sleeve to get his attention.

'I'm glad you weren't hurt by the bad man,' he said, 'Zhan-Gege would have been said because you're his Shushu and I would be sad if my Shushu got hurt. Are you going to come back and visit soon? I didn't get to play the Gusu songs Zhan-Gege taught me for you.'

Lan Qiren hesitated a moment before he set a hand gently on the boy's head, 'You will need to practice more for when I next come,' he said, 'I will expect there to be no errors. You will continue, as well, to ensure Wei Wuxian practices his writing.'

A-Yuan beamed, 'I will,' he said, 'We can write letters to the house in the clouds where you live. Zhan-Gege says when we can go wherever we like I can visit there and see all the places he knows. He says there is room for me to stay in his house.'

'Well, it seems you already have much planned,' said Lan Xichen, 'You may write a letter to me if you wish to. For now though, will you allow us a moment to speak to the adults alone?'

A-Yuan frowned, 'No shouting?' he said, 'I won't write to you if you let them do any shouting.'

'No shouting, you have my word,' said Lan Xichen, 'Go on now. I will send someone for you when we leave so you can follow us to the barrier.'

A-Yuan hesitated for a moment before he nodded, turning back to Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian with his face set in a serious mask. 'Zhan-Gege, make sure Xian-Gege doesn't run around and make his cut sore. Qing-Gugu will get annoyed with you.'

'I'll make sure he rests, little radish, I promise,' said Lan Wangji.

A-Yuan nodded, taking Wei Wuxian's and squeezing it gently. 'I love you. Be good.,' he said, not waiting for an answer as he hurried off to the waiting morning outside of the hall.

'Children know no politics and no artifice,' said Lan Qiren, 'They judge purely on instinct. A-Yuan's instincts are very clear. We must begin again.'

'Begin again?' said Wei Wuxian, grateful for Lan Wangji's arm as it hooked through his on the pretence of holding him upright.

'The Yin Hu Fu is not an orthodox tool,' said Lan Qiren, 'And it is forged from something dangerous but today proved that it is not the first thing you reach for when threatened. You did not summon those who should not be summoned to search the village, you did not turn the Yin Hu Fu on the intruder in the moments you had the chance to. You relied on the skills and the ways you were taught as a young man. I do not condone the tool but everything has a place. I cannot say we will find an answer, I cannot say that we will get to a place where the world will accept your possession of it but, until the safety of this village is assured, we will work with you to find a way to make the device palatable. Will you work with us?'

The tight grip of Lan Wangji's hand on his arm was grounding, Wei Wuxian unsure if he wanted to shout or weep or beg to be woken for whatever dream that had changed the threat of having all the protection whisked away for a chance of a future to something that contained a glimmer of hope. He studied the faces of the two men before him, searching for any sign of artifice but instead finding an openness and an honesty he so valued in the man at his side.

'Yes,' he said finally, the word leaving him in a rush, 'I will work with you. What do you need me to do?'

Chapter 21: Gate

Notes:

So WangXian decided they wanted a sweet and soppy chapter this time (I swear I am not in charge of this story, I'm just the monkey who types it). Hope you all enjoy it xx

Chapter Text

The soft tickle at his cheek made him fidget, curling a little more into the warmth of the covers but the brush of something soft and silky didn't abate, tracing over his brow beneath his ribbon and the bridge of his nose, a small laugh accompanying it which could only belong to one man.

'Are you awake at last? I thought you would sleep for the whole day.'

Wei Wuxian's smiling face faded into view as Lan Wangji opened his eyes, the tail of the red silk ribbon that had been teasing him disappearing as its master laid down a little more and propped his cheek on a fist.

'How late did I sleep?' said Lan Wangji, rubbing at weary eyes that wanted to close for a little longer.

'It's mid-morning,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I left you a little longer than you asked because you looked too beautiful to wake and you stayed on the watch later than you should have done last night.'

'I was not too late,' said Lan Wangji, 'You had not long gone to bed you said.'

'That was only because I bumped my head on the table falling asleep there,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I don't like going to sleep without you.'

'I have no watch duty tonight,' said Lan Wangji, 'And, if our guests do not stay late, we can retire early. We have not had much time alone together in recent weeks.'

Wei Wuxian laughed, 'My beloved Hanguang-Jun, are you luring me into bed at a sensible hour with promises that I will have you all to myself for once?'

'Wei Ying should sleep earlier and I cannot suffer a night sleeping without him.'

Warm lips met his in a fleeting kiss, the day too far progressed to risk any more when A-Yuan was prone to stroll in unannounced.

'I never want my Lan Zhan to suffer for want of me so I will come to bed whenever he chooses though I cannot guarantee I will sleep right away,' said Wei Wuxian, fingers plucking at Lan Wangji's collar before chasing the pulse at his throat, as sigh leaving him a moment later, 'Though I am looking forward to our visitors, I wish I had more time alone with you today.'

Lan Wangji had grown used to the sudden changes of mood that often took his lover even at the most unexpected of times, catching hold of his hand and pressing it against his chest as the other freed itself from the blankets to tuck an errant strand of hair back behind his ear. 'The planting is nearly done and the early crop is getting ready to harvest so we will have some quieter times for a few weeks,' he said, 'You only sent the last letter back to Shufu a few days ago so it will take a while for him to respond. Once today is over, we will be able to steal a few hours here and there.'

Wei Wuxian smiled, 'I will find a place where even A-Yuan can't find us,' he said, 'Hopefully the weather will remain fine. If we were somewhere better, I would be able to weave spring flowers into your hair and feed you sweets, but instead we can pack up our rations and try and find somewhere to sit that isn't barren.'

'It's not so barren any more,' said Lan Wangji, 'There is blossom on some of the trees and the crops are coming on better than we thought. This place is not so dark as it once was.'

'No, I suppose it isn't,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I hope, whatever happens to us, that this place doesn't remain one to be feared.'

'We will ensure it is not,' said Lan Wangji, 'I have hope. The Yin Hu Fu's response to the last experiment was positive.'

'Except for the headache,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I'm hoping Lan-Xiansheng finds something that doesn't have me permanently asking Wen Qing to make me up one of her vile concoctions. It took four cups of Si-Shu's fruit wine to take the taste away.'

'Which led to a headache of a different kind,' said Lan Wangji, 'And you snoring.'

Wei Wuxian laughed, 'A vile and vicious accusation, Hanguang-Jun!' he said, 'You really are too cruel. I shall tell Shijie how cruelly you treat me when she arrives and then you will be for it.'

'Whilst Jiang Wanyin will no doubt agree with me.'

'True, very true,' said Wei Wuxian, flopping down on his back beside him, 'I cannot believe they are really coming today. When the letter arrived I truly thought it was a cruel joke but in a few short hours they'll be here and it feels...ah, how to say how it feels?'

'Like there is a little more hope that we are not alone in the world,' said Lan Wangji, 'We have support, Wei Ying. Even though my brother could get nothing from the intruder's spirit with Inquiry and all other investigations ran dry, I don't think many doubt who sent him. A random farmer or merchant would not make so bold a venture. I am just glad that those who have been watching us have increased in number, hopefully fewer will slip through the net. The support is there from so many sides and, once we have an idea how the Yin Hu Fu responds to Shufu's research, hopefully we will be able to overcome the final hurdle between us and freedom.'

Wei Wuxian sighed, 'Until Jin Guangshan finds another reason to turn the world against us.'

'Have faith,' said Lan Wangji, 'He cannot keep putting barriers in our way. You have so far done everything that has been asked of you other than handing the Yin Hu Fu to him which I am sure the vast majority in fact support. We just need to be patient.'

'I will need to rely on you for patience, my love,' he said, 'I so want to have faith. I want to believe that we will never have to suffer another winter relying on others for food and living in substandard housing. I want Popo to be warm and to be able to rest happily for the rest of her life, for the new baby to be born into safety with their mother and father no longer condemned, for A-Yuan to be allowed to find a proper place in the world.'

'All they will find when the YilingWei Sect takes its place in the world,' said Lan Wangji, 'We will get there.'

Wei Wuxian rolled onto his side, a small, hopeful smile on his lips, 'I love you. You've given me so much hope. I would never have got this far without you.'

'I have known for so long that my place was to always be at your side,' said Lan Wangji, 'To be in your heart as well just makes the task all the sweeter for it. When we are free, I will marry you and we will bring all we have dreamed of to the fore.'

'How is that cold boy I once knew in the Cloud Recesses such a poet now?' said Wei Wuxian, 'Shall I just strengthen the barrier further and pretend we are not at home today?'

Lan Wangji shook his head, 'Then you would not get to see your family and I know A-Yuan has been desperate to meet Jin Ling.'

'You need to get dressed and stop being romantic and soft and handsome then,' said Wei Wuxian, 'You test my resolve too much. Perhaps Lan-Xiansheng likes me enough now that I could ask for your hand in my next letter and not have to fear him beating me to death with a book of GusuLan rules.'

Lan Wangji laughed, 'I would give him a little more time,' he said, 'He is mellowing but I do not think he is quite ready to give his blessing to our match. He will though, in time. He is stubborn but he cares about you, even if he does not always show it in ways you would expect.'

He heard Wei Wuxian's soft snort but no further words were forthcoming. He knew the relationship Wei Wuxian was developing on the page with Lan Qiren was still in its infancy but the notes that had once been curt and to the point were becoming easier exchanges as they worked together to try to find a way to make the Yin Hu Fu a more acceptable spiritual tool for the world.

'I should dress,' said Lan Wangji, tugging at the collar of Wei Wuxian's neat black and crimson robes, 'I will need to get Xiongzhang to send me more suitable clothes. We have visitors so often that even my best is growing a little threadbare.'

'Perhaps we should start dreaming up our own colours,' said Wei Wuxian, rising from the bed and straightening his own clothes, 'It's a shame the delivery is coming tomorrow or Zewu-Jun could have added some material to that and we could have Popo make you up something, she has quite the skill.'

'There will be another one in a month,' said Lan Wangji, getting to his feet and shaking out the blankets before straightening them on the bed, 'I will write to him later. It would be good to have some new cloth sent anyway, the weather is growing warmer and everything has suffered in the winter months.'

'Hopefully they will begin allowing us to trade in Yiling again soon,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Zewu-Jun seemed certain everyone would approve it given that you would be supervising whenever people left the mountain.'

'The isolation here has been reducing and we are already trading little amounts here and there through me alone so it makes sense to allow further opportunities,' said Lan Wangji, 'And the people of Yiling seem to welcome us more and more now that both Luo-Guniang and I are dealing with any unwelcome spirits without charge.'

'She's so good to attribute any local aid to us,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I'm glad she'll be back in a few days. I'm growing used to her dropping in whenever she is nearby.'

'It is good to have a reliable friend,' he said, pulling his more formal robes from the box beside the bed and setting them out in order.

He had grown used to sharing his space with Wei Wuxian and any thought of modesty when changing clothes had been forgotten long before their relationship had changed, it was therefore nothing to set aside the clothes he had slept in but the sudden intake of breath made him wish he had thought to have a little more shyness around him if only to avoid Wei Wuxian's sudden worry as he caught sight of the bruise still dark on his side.

'Lan Zhan, you're hurt. What happened?' said Wei Wuxian, his hands cold and making Lan Wangji flinch as they touched gently at the injury.

'It's nothing,' he said, 'It will be gone by tomorrow. It's not even a story. I walked into one of the fence posts.'

Wei Wuxian frowned as his regarded him, thumb tracing a gentle pattern against the damaged skin, 'You're never clumsy.'

'I'm never half asleep because I've been on the watch too long,' said Lan Wangji, his hand closing gently around his wrist but making no move to pull his hand away, 'I'd forgotten it was even there. There really is no need to worry.'

'I don't like you getting hurt.'

'My love, since I've been here you've had a house fall on you, have been attacked by several ferocious ghosts, and been stabbed by an intruder. I really don't think me having a minor bruise is something to worry about.'

Wei Wuxian huffed out a humourless laugh, moving until his free hand cradled the back of Lan Wangji's neck, resting their foreheads together. 'Well I'm considerably less precious than you.'

The sting of the words felt like a fist driven into the bruise at his side, the ache deep and lingering. 'Don't talk like that,' said Lan Wangji, 'My worth is no more than yours. Whatever the world out there says, you are precious and essential and valuable to a great many people. Wei Ying, one day I swear I will have you celebrate your own worth and not just with hollow words to amuse a crowd. One day, I will make sure you know how much you are valued and you will finally stop putting yourself in harms way because you believe your sacrifice and pain is somehow warranted.'

The man in his arms was silent, Wei Wuxian moving until his face was tucked against his neck, his breath fluttering in warm pulses against his skin. The moments of sheer doubt and weakness that plagued his lover were more normally confined to the darkness, concealed beneath their blankets in the sanctuary of their bed where Wei Wuxian would shake and cry and fear in a way he could not before the rest of the world. As the world beyond encroached more and more on the strange peace of the Burial Mounds though, Lan Wangji had begun to catch glimpses of it in the daylight, fleeting moments when the brilliant grey eyes would turn distant and sad, deeply afraid of the world that was waiting for them and their place in it.

'My love,' he said, gently stroking his hair, 'The people coming today do so because they care for you and everyone who calls this place home bears a love and respect for you that has been hard earned. You have so many people beside you and we're there because we want you to succeed, to be everything you are capable of being. You have borne more than anyone would ever think to ask of one man and you deserve to be proud of what you have achieved in some of the worst circumstances. I know it is hard, that life has taught you otherwise, but at least say you believe my words that you are worthy even if you don't quite yet believe it yourself.'

'Hanguang-Jun is renowned for his honesty,' came the muffled reply, 'I'm trying to believe it. For so long...you know it all, already. I never thought I would get this far and I'm so scared to misstep.'

'You have us beside you to keep you on track,' said Lan Wangji, pressing a kiss to his temple, 'For now though, you'd best allow me to dress. There are enough rumours without someone arriving unannounced and finding me half dressed in the clutches of the feared Yiling Laozu.'

Wei Wuxian laughed, 'Little do they know that all I do is cry on you,' he said, raising his head, 'Just promise me you'll be more careful. I know it will heal swiftly but I hate seeing you hurt.'

'Promise me the same from you,' said Lan Wangji, 'It would be nice to have a day or two when I'm not worrying about you.'

'I shall certainly try,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Now kiss me and get dressed. You're a temptation and I am a reckless and dangerous man or so the masses would have it.'

'The masses do not know you as I do,' said Lan Wangji, kissing him, 'Away and find something to occupy you or I won't be ready before our guests arrive and then there will be a scandal and Jiang Wanyin will try to fight me and Wen Qing will be angry at you the most when I tell her you delayed me.'

'Cruel man,' said Wei Wuxian whirling away with an exuberance that made a lie of his earlier malaise, sitting down on the edge of the bed, 'I'm going to sit here and enjoy the view for a moment and then I am going to take you for your breakfast. The rations weren't too depleted this month so there's actually still some fairly edible things left.'

'Hopefully fairly edible will be a phrase to consign to the past soon when the crops finally begin to yield,' said Lan Wangji, slipping into the layers of white that would no doubt be marked by several of A-Yuan's handprints by the end of the day even despite the boy's carefulness, 'There are several plots looking promising.'

'Promising does not mean edible,' said Wei Wuxian, with a small sigh, 'But I'm hopeful.'

'Hopeful is good until we know otherwise,' said Lan Wangji, watching the slight distance that came to Wei Wuxian's eyes, his thoughts no doubt turned down a darker path but it faded nearly as quickly as it appeared.

The village was already busy when they left the cave that served as their room, Spring bringing with it an easy sunshine that made the work of the day more enjoyable, the ground still soft enough to turn but not as slick as it had been with the winter rain. It was a weather than would not last long but it promised to remain fair for several more days and everyone was making the most of it. It would be the perfect day to reveal the true reason for the bruising at his side, catching Wen Ning's eye as they passed the spot he was tending and seeing the small answering smile that told him the last few tasks that had been left to him when Lan Wangji had retired to bed had been completed.

It had been a fleeting thought when it had first come to Lan Wangji but, during nights on the watch with Wen Ning, the thought had become an idea, the idea a plan, and then the plan had become a reality that had taken most of the village to achieve whilst keeping it hidden from the person it was intended for. He could only hope that Wei Wuxian would receive the gesture with a gladness for the intent it was given with.

Lan Wangji had only just set aside his empty dish when the final participant of their endeavour was revealed, A-Yuan running in with a wide smile as he hurried to Wei Wuxian.

'Xian-Gege!' he called, 'You have to come and see it.'

'Come and see what, little radish?' said Wei Wuxian, sweeping the child easily onto his lap, his smile bright as A-Yuan kissed his cheek the moment he was close enough.

'You have to come and see it,' said A-Yuan, 'By the barrier.'

Wei Wuxian frowned, 'You know you shouldn't play by the barrier, it's dangerous.'

'Qing-Gugu said it was alright because I went with her and now you have to come and see it too. Zhan-Gege is going to come too, aren't you?'

Lan Wangji took the small hand that was held out to him, the soft warm fingers always bringing with them such a comfort whenever A-Yuan reached for him. 'Lead the way,' he said, helping him to hop down from his place on Wei Wuxian's lap.

It had become second nature for the child to walk between them, holding them both by the hand as they left the main hall and headed down towards the barrier. At first Wei Wuxian seemed to content to listen to A-Yuan's chatter but Lan Wangji saw the moment he realised others were beginning to follow them as they stepped into the trees.

'Lan Zhan,' he said, 'What's happening?

'You'll see,' said Lan Wangji, glad when it only took the smallest of smiles to chase the worry from Wei Wuxian's eyes.

'What don't I know?' said Wei Wuxian, 'What's been going on?'

'He wriggles like a worm on a hook when he knows we know something he doesn't,' said Wen Qing as she joined them.

Wei Wuxian looked between her and Lan Wangji with a crease to his brow, 'Why do I fear a conspiracy?' he said, 'What's going on?'

'Have patience, Wei Ying,' said Lan Wangji, looking down as A-Yuan giggled, 'It's a surprise.'

'A nice surprise,' said A-Yuan, 'I helped.'

'In fact, most people helped in some way or form,' said Wen Qing, 'And those that couldn't uphold the sentiment of it all the same.'

Lan Wangji saw the crease deepen between his lover's eyebrows but also the soft excitement in his eyes, the smiles surrounding him enough to tell him that whatever was waiting at the barrier was nothing to be concerned about. He saw the excitement turn to mild confusion and then dawning realisation as they reached the path that led to the place the entered and exited the barrier most frequently

'A gate?' said Wei Wuxian, his eyes wide as he took in the structure before he turned to Lan Wangji, 'That's a gate. The wood...'

'From our old house,' said A-Yuan, 'But Ning-Shushu and the others made it strong so it wouldn't fall down.'

'We were going to make a path with it,' said Wei Wuxian, 'The last of it...'

'It would not have lasted long as a path,' said Lan Wangji, leading him and A-Yuan around to the other side of the gate, 'So Wen Ning and I thought we could make better use of it.'

'You...' began Wei Wuxian as they stepped beneath the archway built from the three sturdiest pieces of wood that had remained from the house that had collapsed weeks before.

The idea of the gate had come one night when Lan Wangji had been on the watch with Wen Ning, the younger man retrieving a stick of wood and a knife from his robes as the hours grew long and the conversation short, beginning to whittle a small doll for A-Yuan from the once featureless stick. He had dismissed the thought when it had first come, any good wood they had used for building rather than something unnecessary, but then his mind turned to the three sturdy pillars that had been salvaged from the wreckage of the house collapse. They had been set aside to turn into pathways but he knew being submerged in mud, even with the warmer weather on the way, would result in them rotting before too long. Though they seemed sturdy enough to be used for housing, no one had yet done so, fearing another collapse if they did but for a structure no one would live under, they could prove strong and serviceable.

Wen Ning had been more than enthusiastic when he had told him of the idea, soon recruiting his sister into it and then more and more hands as word spread. Lan Wangji had worried, with so many aware, that the secret would soon be revealed but everyone was keen to keep it a surprise, working on it whenever they were on the watch at night and Wei Wuxian was sleeping, several even giving up more hours if only to keep an eye out for any nightly wanderings that their rescuer could be prone to and helping to conceal it beneath brush and stacks of kindling during the day.

He had not planned for the reveal to coincide with a day they were expecting company but, as he and Wen Ning had shifted the carved and treated pillars into place that night, it had felt like a good omen that they would welcome the family that had raised Wei Wuxian through the gate that his new one had built for him.

'Family, acceptance, bravery, hospitality, sanctuary,' said Wei Wuxian, his voice soft and his eyes shining with unshed tears as he stared up at the archway before him, 'You all built this.'

'Wen Ning and I did the last of it last night,' said Lan Wangji, 'The bruise you saw comes from bearing the weight of the upright as we dug it in, rather than a fence post.'

'It was heavier than we thought it was going to be,' said Wen Ning, 'Good solid wood. It will make for a long lived structure.'

'Our gate,' said Wei Wuxian, 'This is our gate with our rules and you all...'

'We wanted to say thank you,' said Wen Qing, 'Because the days are hard for us sometimes and we know they can be even harder for you. You've been given so many chances to leave and never taken them. The future is uncertain but this place isn't. We wanted you to have your gate, Wei-Zongzhu, for however long it gets to stand.'

'Wei-Zongzhu she calls me and yet you've all been hiding things from me,' said Wei Wuxian, with a choked laugh, bending down and picking up A-Yuan so the boy sat easily on his hip, 'Can you read the words for me, little radish? I want you to read them and keep them in your heart for me. Zhan-Gege gave them to us but we must all keep them now.'

Lan Wangji stepped closer to the pair as A-Yuan reached out a hand to him. Though they had made no formal announcement of their relationship to their gathered friends there had been more than one occasion where they had sat after dinner with hands clasped on the table top and more often and not sat far closer than even the dearest of friends would think to, only noticing how far they had leaned into one another when they spoke when someone came to join them. It was without any trepidation then that Lan Wangji pressed a kiss to the back of A-Yuan's hand before releasing it, instead opting to wrap an arm around both him and Wei Wuxian as the boy read the rules carved into the gate.

'This is the greatest gift save for all of you,' said Wei Wuxian, as A-Yuan finished reading, 'Don't make me say too much though or I'll shame myself with crying. I can't believe you all went to this trouble.'

'It was this or staring at each other on the watch at night,' said Si-Shu, 'And Hanguang-Jun felt it would be a symbol for everyone.'

'The YilingWei Sect stands,' said Lan Wangji, 'We may not be rich and we may not be free but those five words, we can uphold. They're the words you brought this village here with, Wei Ying.'

The smile he received in reply was not the bright, laughing smile of Wei Wuxian's youth but it shone just as brilliantly as it had then, the sadness and the strain were still present but for once they looked a little lighter for him to bear. The gate was more than wood and words, it was a symbol of all that stood behind it and all who stood behind the young man fate had chosen to lead them even through the depths of uncertainty.

'Xian-Gege, can I tell Zewu-Jun and Lan-Xiansheng about the gate when I write my next letter? I will do the words carefully,' said A-Yuan, breaking the soft moment but Lan Wangji saw the fondness for the child in his lover's eyes and knew the words were not unwelcome even in what he was sure was a tumult of emotions.

'I am sure they will love to read about it,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Zewu-Jun told you in his last letter how good your writing is coming along.'

'Zhan-Gege made me write it out twice,' said A-Yuan as the others slowly began to dissipate back up the hill, the day's work still before them with guests not long off arriving.

'You must continue to practice until you do not make any errors,' said Lan Wangji, 'One day, your letter may carry a message of great importance to someone and it should be very clear for them to understand your meaning. One day, you will only need to write a letter once.'

A-Yuan nodded, 'One day I will be just like Zhan-Gege, and Xian-Gege, and Ning-Shushu, and Qing-Gugu, and Popo,' he said, counting them off on his fingers before he grinned, 'And the chickens!'

Wei Wuxian laughed, 'A-Yuan will make a very fine chicken,' he said, 'And then I will pluck out all his feathers for my pillow.'

A-Yuan shrieked as Wei Wuxian turned him upside down with ease, the ends of his hair nearly brushing the ground as he giggled and thrashed in his grip. Months before, Lan Wangji knew he would be hurrying to steady the child but he knew there were no surer hands than Wei Wuxian's whenever he held him, keeping him safe even when they were at play.

'Alright,' said Wen Qing, as she came towards them, 'Don't wind him up too much or he'll not settle when the others get here. A-Yuan, come with me and you can put on your nice clothes for when our guests arrive.'

A-Yuan's laughter faded to soft hiccups as Wei Wuxian righted him and planted him back on the ground. 'Can I come back down when they arrive?' he said, 'Xian-Gege says Jiang-Guniang is the prettiest lady in the world and I want to see if she's as pretty as Popo.'

'Ah,' said Wei Wuxian, with a smile, 'I misspoke it seems. Because no one is as pretty as A-Yuan's Popo.'

'Zhan-Gege is,' said A-Yuan, 'But that's different because he's a boy. Qing-Gugu, do you think Zhan-Gege is pretty like Popo?'

The questions continued without giving her an option to answer as Wen Qing shot them both a fond look before she and her brother led the child back up towards the village, the last few stragglers following behind.

Lan Wangji smiled as the familiar weight of Wei Wuxian's head came to rest on his shoulder, absently pressing a kiss to the crown of his head before he let his gaze drift to the carvings above them. The added callouses on his hands and the subtle ache in his side were worth the reaction of the man beside him, quiet as it had been. Though Wei Wuxian was known far and wide for his exuberance, Lan Wangji had soon come to know that the most important moments of his life were met more calmly and with a deeper emotion than the display he often showed the world. He was sure, when the night grew dark around them again, tears might yet follow that carried a little bitterness with them, the gate solid even if the future was not, despite all they were trying to do. For the moment though, he was content that the idea from one cold, dark night had brought a little happiness to the person he loved best.

'Are you happy, my love?'

Wei Wuxian nodded, 'I am,' he said, 'I know nothing outside has changed but, for however long...perhaps this will stand for far longer than we can.'

'We'll see out first disciples leave through this gate,' said Lan Wangji, 'And I'll stand here at your side as we watch them go. Every day, I grow in hope. We have our trials but our list of allies grows. I am sure, when your martial siblings and Jin-Gongzi arrive today, we will add more names to that list.'

'Am I doing the right thing?' said Wei Wuxian, 'Allowing someone bearing the name of Jin into the village?'

'As we ask those beyond to not judge all by the name our friends here bear. They too know not to judge based on a name as well,' said Lan Wangji, 'Jiang-Guniang would not allow it if Jin Zixuan bore you any ill will and it was he who hastened me to your aid all those months ago. I hope today both sides will learn that beneath everything we are all just wishing for peace.'

'Peace,' said Wei Wuxian, moving so he could look up at him, 'You bring me peace. Having you at my side has been the strength I have needed.'

'I will always be here,' said Lan Wangji, 'Do you want to go back to the village or shall we walk a while?'

Wei Wuxian took his hand, lacing their fingers together. 'Let's walk a while,' he said, 'I won't rest otherwise, knowing they'll be here soon.'

'The first to pass through our gate,' said Lan Wangji, 'We might not have much to offer in place of a celebration but at least they can be assured of a warm welcome.'

Wei Wuxian smiled as he looked up at the gate once more, capturing Lan Wangji's cheek in his free hand and pulling him down into a soft kiss that spoke of the happiness the simple carvings above their heads had brought him.

Chapter 22: The Eve of War

Notes:

Hello!!! I am so so sorry about the delay in posting this, life and general awfulness totally derailed me and I am so sorry for making you wait. I will try to update more frequently from now on. Thank you to everyone who is continuing to follow and enjoy this story, you all make me smile so much xx

Chapter Text

The blossom above their heads was thin and scraggly but its presence alone spoke volumes. Wei Wuxian ran a finger over the translucent petal, wanting to pluck the bloom, to hold it in his hand and feel the reality of it but he knew to do so would have it shrivel and die rather than turn to promised fruit. A pale hand closed around his, turning his attention once more to the men behind him, and he leaned back against Lan Wangji's shoulder with a sigh.

'Whoever would have thought something so small, could mean so much?' he said, 'Blossom on a once barren tree.'

'A poetic reminder of all we are working for,' said Lan Wangji, 'One day, every tree will bloom and there will be a sea of it all the way to the foot of the mountain.'

'Our beautiful new gate will look wonderful amongst the blossom,' said Wei Wuxian, turning and wrapping his arms around his neck, drawing him down into a kiss, 'Thank you for it and thank you for keeping me company this morning.'

'You are welcome for both,' said Lan Wangji, 'I'm glad I could lessen the anxiety of the day. Once our guests arrive, I know the day will be easier for you.'

'Or twice as hard,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Shijie will be wonderful but I worry about her coming here and with the baby. This is no place for anyone.'

'Mn, but I do believe she of all people would not be dissuaded even if it were a hundred times worse,' said Lan Wangji, 'She will be coming to see you alone.'

'If only she was alone,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Seeing Jin Zixuan and Jiang Cheng...you need to promise to stay near to me at all times. I need to control my temper and you always keep me calm. I don't want either of them leaving believing there is any truth in the poison Jin Guangshan is peddling about me.'

'I would hope I can credit them with a little more intelligence.'

Wei Wuxian laughed, catching the teasing glint in his lover's eyes. 'You're a cruel, cruel man,' he said, 'It's why I love you so dearly. Cruel and quick and you make me laugh even when I don't think I can.'

He shivered as the lower alert talismans activated, telling him that their guests were finally on their way. Lan Wangji's arms tightened around him, kissing him once more before he stepped back, reaching out to right Wei Wuxian's collar.

'Are you ready?'

Wei Wuxian nodded, 'I want to see them,' he said, 'We have nothing to hide and nothing to be ashamed of. If any of them cannot see the value of the people despite the place they are in...'

'My love, there is no way they will see anything but the worth of these people,' said Lan Wangji, 'Even Shufu has a great deal of respect for them, even if it took him longer than most. Only those completely unwilling to look beyond a name will see anything less. The fact that they are coming at all says they are prepared to try.'

'I hope so,' said Wei Wuxian, smiling as he heard the familiar sound of A-Yuan's running feet coming down the hill towards them, Wen Qing and the others alerted to the barrier and releasing the child who had been promised he could greet their newest guests as he had all the others before them, 'Here's one of our greatest assets.'

'Mn,' said Lan Wangji, the soft, fond smile that only the young child inspired brightening his face, 'An asset indeed.'

Wei Wuxian laughed, 'The one that made you fall in love with us all.'

'One of the factors anyway,' said Lan Wangji, pressing a swift kiss to his cheek, 'I was in love with another before I came.'

Wei Wuxian touched his fingers to the place he was certain burned with the simple kiss. They had shared many kisses, often far more intense than such a simple touch but he knew the blush was staining his cheeks as he noticed the teasing twist of his lover's lips before he headed towards where A-Yuan was calling out to them. He let his colour fade a little before he made his way to join them, smiling at the sight of Lan Wangji crouched before A-Yuan, small hands held in his larger ones as they as they spoke quietly. It was a love he had watched grow and blossom into something far more powerful than he was sure he had ever witnessed before.

Though Jiang Fengmian had raised him as best he could, he had never been even close to a father to him, and his memories of his own father were hazy and scarce. It had been more than a little heartbreak then that he had watched the memory of A-Yuan's parents fade from his eyes as the first weeks in the Burial Mounds faded into months. He knew the trauma of their passing was part of the problem, A-Yuan's delicate young mind protecting him from the most painful of the memories, but it was still upsetting to watch him slowly forget. He had been unable to step into the role, their future and his place in it so unknown, content to be a playful and joyful big brother to the child he fell more and more in love with every day but Lan Wangji had not shown such hesitance, swift to become confidant, teacher, friend and father to A-Yuan even if he was not given the name. It gave him more hope than anything else, the knowledge that Lan Wangji would do everything he could to save the boy they both loved even if he couldn't save anyone else. It was a strange comfort to think of A-Yuan in the white robes of the Lan Sect, one he clung to whenever the world felt too heavy and bleak.

He smiled as both turned to him, A-Yuan loosing one of Lan Wangji's hands to reach out and Wei Wuxian wasted no time in taking his hand. As he heard voices in the distance, he pushed aside the sudden wish to drag both A-Yuan and Lan Wangji by their hands into the deep seclusion of their cave and to raise the barrier as high as it was possible for it to go. As he heard the sweet trill of Jiang Yanli's laughter though, the thought left him entirely, desperate to see the woman who had been sister and mother to him as well as his first true friend in the world.

'I can hear voices Xian-Gege,' said A-Yuan, 'Are lots of people coming?'

'A few,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Remember how when Zewu-Jun comes, he brings some disciples to help him? Jiang-Zongzhu and Jin-Gongzi will be coming with some disciples to help them. You must remember though that the people coming are not to be afraid of even if the clothes they wear are similar to those who put you in the bad place before. You're safe and everyone else here is safe.'

'And if you are worried at all you can come and sit with me,' said Lan Wangji, 'You know I will never let any harm come to you.'

A-Yuan smiled, 'I know I'm safe with you and Xian-Gege,' he said, 'I won't be afraid if I'm with you.'

'Well then, you're more than ready to meet them,' said Wei Wuxian, squeezing his hand a little tighter as they headed towards the barrier and the gate that stood proud against the twisted trees with their scant blossoms, the words carved into the wood bringing hope as the flowers did that the future was growing brighter.

His heart sped up a little in his chest as he caught sight of the faces he had not seen in months, brighter for the climb and the sun that had decided to grant the Burial Mounds its light for their visit. Jiang Cheng, Jin Zixuan and Jiang Yanli were at the head of the group, only a handful of Jiang disciples following behind, even the nurse carrying the softly babbling Jin Ling dressed in the lilacs favoured by the women of Wei Wuxian's former sect.

He lowered the barrier with a wave of his hand, the movement catching the attention of their guests and his smile brightened as Jiang Yanli was the first to wave.

'A-Xian!'

'Shijie!' he called in return, only A-Yuan's hand in his preventing him from running the short distance between them.

When they finally reached the gate, the expectations of tradition took over, customary greetings breaking a little of the tension that had risen despite Jiang Yanli's warm smile. He saw all the eyes gathered fall on A-Yuan in his neat robes, the familiar red of the Wen clan subdued a little by the lighter tones his Popo had worked into them, his manners and poise so reminiscent of Lan Wangji despite the vast differences in their upbringing speaking volumes of the influence Gusu's Second Jade had had upon his life.

'That is a new addition,' said Jiang Cheng, pointing to the gate before them, 'Unless I missed it before.'

'That's our gate,' said A-Yuan proudly, 'Zhan-Gege and Ning-Shushu made it for Xian-Gege so he'd be happy. I helped. Do you want me to read the words for you, Jiang-Zongzhu?'

The serious expression on Jiang Cheng's face faded a little as A-Yuan let go of both Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian's hands and stepped closer to the arriving group.

'No, thank you,' he said, 'I can manage.'

'Zhan-Gege has been teaching me to read and I can read lots of words now,' said A-Yuan, 'He is very clever. He says when I'm clever enough I can teach Xian-Gege properly.'

Any attempt at seriousness was lost in an instant and Wei Wuxian was treated to the sound he had not heard since the days before they had attended the lectures in the Cloud Recesses, Jiang Cheng's laughter bright and sudden and full of the memories of days beside the water before the world beyond had become something too real, when they had still been boys, not men taking their place in the world. Even Jin Zixuan, who had been silent save for the expected pleasantries and wearing a face that made it appear he had eaten something sour, broke into a smile and then a soft huff of laughter that was sweet counterpoint to Jiang Yanli's.

'And in that,' said Wei Wuxian, cradling A-Yuan's head in his hands as the boy quickly hid behind his legs at the sudden noise, 'You hear all you need to know about this place. Wei-Zongzhu they call me out there, in here it's a different story. They tease me without mercy. A-Yuan, don't be shy.'

'I'm sorry if we startled you, A-Yuan,' said Jiang Yanli, not caring for the hems of her skirts against the dust of the road as she crouched down to his level, 'It is a pleasure to meet you at last. I've heard a lot about you.'

Wei Wuxian nodded as A-Yuan turned wide eyes to him before he shared a similar look with Lan Wangji. He was sure from the barely masked shock on Jiang Cheng's face that the small smile that reassured A-Yuan was a sight that they had never thought to see, Lan Wangji who had always been so cool before others not making any effort to hide his affection for the boy.

'You are Jin-Furen. You are Xian-Gege's Shijie from when he lived at Lotus Pier,' said A-Yuan, 'You looked after Xian-Gege when he was small, like me.'

Jiang Yanli smiled, 'He was a little bigger than you but not much so,' she said as he took a few small steps towards her, 'He liked the toys we gave him to play with. When he wrote to me last he told me you liked butterflies and I saw this in Yiling if you would like it?'

A-Yuan beamed as Jiang Yanli handed him the simple woven toy, so similar to the one Lan Wangji had bought for him what felt like a lifetime before. 'Thank you, Jin-Furen,' he said, tugging on her sleeve so she leaned a little closer, 'Xian-Gege said you were the prettiest lady in the world. He is right.'

Jiang Yanli laughed, 'Well you may have learned to read from Hanguang-Jun but your charm can only have come from one person,' she said, getting to her feet.

'A lesson I have tried to moderate,' said Lan Wangji, 'A-Yuan would you like to invite everyone inside.'

A-Yuan nodded, standing as straight as he could, 'Jiang-Zongzhu, Jin- Gongzi, Jin-Furen, would you like to come inside? Popo is making nice things to eat because it's a special day. Can I see the baby?'

'When we are all sitting down,' said Jiang Yanli gently, 'He likes to wriggle a lot.'

'My chickens wriggle when I hold then too tightly,' said A-Yuan, 'Maybe you shouldn't hold the baby so tightly.'

'Definitely influenced by Wei Wuxian,' said Jiang Cheng, 'He knows everything.'

'He's a smart boy, aren't you little radish?' said Wei Wuxian, 'Do you remember what we taught you about YunmengJiang and LanlingJin? Maybe you can even impress Jiang-Zongzhu?'

'You taught him about us?' said Jin Zixuan, 'I would have thought...'

'I hope one day he can have a place in the world, however humble,' said Wei Wuxian, 'It would be wrong to stifle his education because of the current situation.'

It was an odd thing to receive a look of gratitude from the man who Wei Wuxian had spent a good portion of his life at odds with but he knew all the better the power of change that came with love and a child, waving a hand beneath the gate in welcome as the group finally began to make their way up the mountain. As A-Yuan began rattling away all the details both he and Lan Wangji had taught them about their guests, Jiang Yanli hung back a little, only crossing to Wei Wuxian's side when both Jiang Cheng and Jin Zixuan had passed beneath the gate, taking his arm and holding him back a little to allow the others to get ahead of them. He was grateful when Lan Wangji encouraged A-Yuan to continue going forward as he realised not all were as close behind him as he had expected, his presence calming the still slightly choppy waters of the reunion.

Years of practice had the attendants that had accompanied them, including the nurse carrying Jin Ling, keeping a safe but discreet distance even those clearly there for protection seemingly relaxed enough once their leaders had stepped inside.

'You look better than you did last time I saw you, A-Xian,' said Jiang Yanli, 'You've put on a little weight.'

'Zewu-Jun has been generous and our own crops are beginning to come along,' he said, 'We've not gone hungry this winter. Even the people of Yiling send the occasional bag of provisions or two when they can.'

'They all speak quite highly of you all there,' she said, 'We heard a lot of stories of Lan Er-Gongzi and Luo-Guniang taking on several tasks with no payment wanted save for it to be noted that it was those friendly to the Burial Mounds who had aided them.'

'More of us would help if we could but the rules keep us here and we're not about to break them,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Behind the barrier, these people are safe.'

'I am sorry they can't be outside of it as well. Zixuan...well, I'll let him and A-Cheng talk with you,' she said, 'They have ideas and they want to help you. Remember that when you talk with them. I cannot say too much but know that those who care about you are doing what they can.'

Wei Wuxian covered her delicate hand with his, the familiarity of it at once a comfort and a stark reminder of how long it had been since they had been in each other's company. 'Let's not talk about that now,' he said, 'Tell me how you are. How was the visit to Lotus Pier? I hope A-Ling got to know the water.'

'He did,' said Jiang Yanli, 'A-Cheng took him to the place where you and he used to play. A-Ling screamed so loud half the household came running. I've never seen A-Cheng so flustered.'

Wei Wuxian laughed, 'He needs his Da-Jiu to show him how it's done, one day...'

'One day, you'll show him how to pick the best seed pods,' said Jiang Yanli, 'You'll get to teach A-Yuan as well. He is a sweet child.'

'He's wonderful,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Keeps us all sane sometimes. No matter how bad things get, he has everyone smiling.'

'Even Lan Er-Gongzi.'

Wei Wuxian knew the smile on his face hid nothing from the woman beside him as her hand tightened its grip on his arm.

'And both make you smile too,' said Jiang Yanli, 'You feel stronger, more sure, more settled. To have such a friend at your side must be a great comfort.'

The subtle weight she added to friend had the colour racing the Wei Wuxian's cheeks but he knew any thoughts in the head of the woman beside him would be kept hers and hers alone until such a time as it was safe to share them with anyone else. He had endeavoured, when the worst of the world had forced itself into their lives, to keep so many things from her but he had no wish to speak any words to deter the path her thoughts were taking, wanting nothing more than speak his love to the world and let them know it even though he knew that time was yet far off for them. In allowing Jiang Yanli to believe the truth without denial was a small part at least in the proclamation he hoped to one day make.

'I am glad he came here to be with you,' said Jiang Yanli.

'Me too. Though I wish he hadn't had to suffer some of the indignities of this place, I am glad he came,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I'm only sorry that we couldn't make it better for you coming here.'

'I am here because I want to be here. I want to see you,' said Jiang Yanli, 'And so do A-Cheng and Zixuan. We know...it is not the place, it's the people. I will never forget the kindness Wen-Guniang and Wen-Gongzi showed us. They were not responsible for the actions of others. Still, happier things for now. It's been too long since I saw you last.'

It was easy to turn the conversation onto happier topics, Jiang Yanli more than happy to share every detail of her son that Wei Wuxian had missed in his prolonged absence from their lives. In a change to the usual reaction to the village when they came upon it, Jiang Yanli was swift to compliment the layout of the blossoming fields and the houses that had grown in character as Spring had allowed for leisure and decoration as well as survival. Whilst the sight of Jin robes had caused many to step back a little, her patience and kindness soon had even those who had suffered worst at the the hands of the sect she had married into approaching her without fear.

Wei Wuxian wished to only keep his attention on her but it was Jin Zixuan who caught his eye the most, calm and contrite, bowing low to those he met even though their state was far humbler than his and the quietly spoken apologies that followed stirred a fierce gratitude in Wei Wuxian's heart. Whatever he had thought of the man he had once hatefully referred to as a peacock changed in moments, certain that Jiang Yanli's patience and love had transformed him into someone the cultivation world could be proud of and Wei Wuxian could rely upon.

Despite the ease that seemed to settle though, there was still an undercurrent of worry and tension, the visit pleasant but not an easy social call where nothing serious would be discussed. Even as they settled in the main hall, food laid out, and Jin Ling babbling and smiling from his mother's lap, the conversation yet to come still hung over them. As always in the Burial Mounds though, it was A-Yuan who brought thoughts back to the sweet moments to be found amidst the chaos, pulling faces at Jin Ling until the baby laughed and caught his finger with his chubby hand.

'A-Ling is sweet,' said A-Yuan, 'Xian-Gege, can A-Ling stay here with us tonight? I want to show him how to collect eggs in the morning from the chickens. Chickens make funny noises A-Ling but you mustn't be scared of them. Zhan-Gege will teach you to be quiet and calm and not worry if they make noise or flap their wings. There aren't any boy chickens, only girl chickens because only girl chickens lay eggs. Do you have chickens where you live, Jin-Furen? We have chickens because Zhan-Gege went to fight a bad ghost and he won because he's strong but the farmer didn't have any money so he let us have the chickens instead. We only had a pony before that and he doesn't lay eggs. Qing-Gugu, where do baby ponies come from if they don't lay eggs? Was I in an egg? Was Jin Ling an egg once?'

'A-Yuan, you need to take a breath,' said Wei Wuxian, the boy wide eyed as the thoughts ran straight from his head and to his lips, 'I know you're excited but you're going to wear yourself out. Come and sit down beside me for a while.'

A-Yuan shook his head, 'I want to stay with Jin-Furen and A-Ling,' he said, scooting closer to the pair, 'Please Xian-Gege.'

'He's not doing any harm, A-Xian,' said Jiang Yanli, 'A-Ling is enjoying having a new friend.'

'Charming everyone again,' said Wei Wuxian, 'He did something not too dissimilar with Lan Zhan and look where he ended up.'

'Well it certainly wasn't your charms that brought him here,' said Jiang Cheng, 'I'm surprised he has managed to put up with you for so long.'

'I have been too busy farming to be concerned with much else,' said Lan Wangji, 'Things have not always been as easy or as calm as you see them today.'

'I have heard it has been hard,' said Jiang Yanli, 'More so than some would allow it stated. Zewu-Jun has kept us informed. I'm only sorry we haven't been able to be more help.'

Wei Wuxian spared a look to Jin Zixuan, seeing his small nod at his wife's words, before he turned his attention to Jiang Cheng, his expression wavering between guilt and worry as he met his gaze.

'The situation may have been difficult for us but that doesn't mean it hasn't be difficult for others in other ways,' he said, 'Some fishermen from Yunmeng offered a timely donation when one of our food deliveries were delayed. I hope they fared well enough after it and do not believe the feared Yiling Laozu holds them in any ill fortune.'

Jiang Cheng's lips curled slightly on a smile but his tone remained the serious one he had adopted since the role of Sect Leader had been thrust upon him. 'I believe they know their tribute was well received,' he said.

'Well then,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Be sure to pass on our thanks if you find out who sent it. A-Yuan went to bed with a full belly that night because of them.'

'It's only when the naughty rats get in the storeroom that I have an empty belly now,' said A-Yuan, 'And Xian-Gege and Zhan-Gege give me some of theirs if I'm extra hungry.'

He saw Jiang Yanli's small frown at the words but she quickly masked it with a smile as Jin Ling burbled and reached a hand out for A-Yuan once again, giggling when he took it.

'A-Ling is so happy, Jin-Furen,' said A-Yuan, 'Can he come and play again?'

'I'm sure he can,' said Jiang Yanli, with a small smile, 'In fact, I am sure he would like to see some of the crops you're growing. Would you be kind enough to show us around?'

'Can I Xian-Gege?' said A-Yuan, his eyes wide and pleading, 'Qing-Gugu?'

'Go slowly and do not run,' said Wen Qing, 'Jin-Furen cannot run around when carrying the baby.'

'I can help,' said A-Yuan brightly.

'Perhaps when you are bigger you can help carry babies about but not today,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Don't go near any of the bits that are muddy. I haven't quite got the irrigation system right yet.'

'A-Li, if you get tired...' began Jin Zixuan before she waved off his concern with a smile.

'I'll be fine,' she said, 'We'll just go for a little walk and then it will be nice to sit in the sunshine outside for a little while. I know A-Yuan will make sure I am well looked after.'

'I will, I will,' he promised faithfully, 'Jin-Gongzi, I will make sure Jin-Furen doesn't get tired. Wen-Shushu made seats for all the people who cannot sit on the floor so easily and I can ask someone to get one if she gets tired.'

Jin Zixuan smiled, 'I am sure you will be very careful and take good care of them for me,' he said, 'Thank you, A-Yuan.'

Wei Wuxian knew A-Yuan's company wasn't needed to attend to Jiang Yanli, instead it was an easier way to remove the child from a conversation he did not need to hear, the visit not one that was purely social even if the initial reunion had been a happy one. It was with pride though that he watched the child he loved like a son leave with the woman he had always loved best in the world, every inch the young master Lan Wangji had been teaching him to be even if he would never move in the circles their guests inhabited.

'The child is a credit to you, Wen-Guniang,' said Jin Zixuan when A-Yuan's voice drifted out of range, 'I hope A-Ling knows half his gentleness.'

'I thank you on behalf of his parents that are no longer living,' said Wen Qing, 'He is a good child.'

'I hope they have the chance one day to be friends,' said Jin Zixuan.

'You cannot hope for the impossible,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Unless you have come with news of a miracle.'

Jin Zixuan shook his head, 'If I had, I would have told you sooner. You are still in great danger beyond this place.'

'We've been in great danger in this place,' said Wei Wuxian.

'Zewu-Jun wrote to me about the intruder,' said Jiang Cheng, 'Have you managed to seal all the entrances from the far side of the mountain?'

'We have filled in those we can and protected the others,' said Lan Wangji, 'And we have doubled our watch. We can only hope they do not find another way in.'

'I have sent several to bolster Chifeng-Zun's watchers,' said Jiang Cheng, 'But it is a vast space to watch and the ground is unfriendly. There have been injuries.'

'If you will accept them, I have talismans that can deflect some of the worst of it,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Lan Zhan and Wen Qing have both used them and can tell you that they do not affect anyone's cultivation. They won't do any harm to the user.'

'They are orthodox and have no ill effects,' said Lan Wangji, 'They have proved to be a useful tool.'

'I am sure any help would be appreciated,' said Jiang Cheng, 'I want them to be able to stay as close the mountain as possible.'

Wei Wuxian forced back the shudder as he met Wen Qing and then Lan Wangji's worried gaze, 'Do you know of another attack planned?'

Jiang Cheng shook his head, 'But we suspect there will be other attempts,' he said, 'Opinion is beginning to sway in your favour. Zewu-Jun speaks for you all whenever he can and Jin-Xiandu...'

'The truth of the matter is this,' said Jin Zixuan, 'My father will not rest until those who live here are dead and the Yin Hu Fu is in his possession. Though GusuLan has been able to speak for you, my father makes it hard for Chifeng-Zun as he paid a great deal towards their rebuilding and challenges it as a point of honour whenever he feels Nie-Zongzhu speaks against him. It is even harder for YunmengJiang because of A-Li but, even if all three spoke against him, he pours poison into the ears of those lesser sects who would hear him in the hope of improving their own gains or who fear what will happen to them if they do not follow his whim. He even works to stir up factions within the larger clans, he is a dangerous man.'

Wei Wuxian waited for the justification or for at least words to soften the accusation to allow Jin Zixuan to retain something of a filial attitude to the man who had sired him but nothing came.

Jin Zixuan laughed but there was no humour in the tone, heartbreak lacing the sound as it escaped him.

'I didn't think I've ever shock Wei Wuxian into silence,' he said, 'I am only sorry it is over something I cannot truly laugh about. You will recall the letter I sent back when my cousin was released from his confinement, in that I informed you of my intention to travel to Lotus Pier with my wife and our son. The reason I gave was one that could not be construed as anything other than care for those I love. The true reason was that I wanted them both as far from that place as I could safely get them. The day before my cousin was released, A-Li had returned early to the nurse who was given care of A-Ling, she hesitated to interrupt as she said A-Ling was contented and smiling but then she heard the nurse's words. Into our baby son's ear she was pouring hateful words about you and those living here, words against A-Li as well. I am sure, had A-Li not overheard, such things would have continued from every care giver left in charge of him. As soon as she made me aware, I made arrangements for us to make our way to Lotus Pier.'

'Wei Wuxian,' said Wen Qing, taking hold of his arm as he made to speak, 'I'm sure there is more Jin -Gongzi wishes to say.'

He caught Lan Wangji's similarly warning gaze, the reminder that the people at their table were allies rather than enemies. With a sigh, he sat back with a nod, seeing Jin Zixuan's face relax a little before he continued.

'As soon as we reached Lotus Pier, we informed Jiang Cheng of all that had occurred. I dismissed the nurse and the other attendants who had accompanied us to tend to A-Li and the child and sent them back to Jinlintai. I said that those local to Yunmeng would be better placed to serve due to their local knowledge, I doubt my father will have believed it though. You will notice now though that all of A-Ling's caregivers and all who attend my wife are of YunmengJiang. Hand picked by Jiang Cheng and A-Li, and all but the wet-nurses are fully trained and ready to defend her and the baby, their instructions are to even stand against me though I swear that I will never give them cause to. We are required to return to Lanling but no one will be close to A-Li or A-Ling who could hurt them. I would rather we could stay in Yunmeng but there is only so long I can feasibly keep us away. I am only hoping...I have people working for me, gathering information, people I trust and I hope to use it to derail this plan of my father's. Even now he seeks marriage alliances for cousins of mine, so young, too young to be considered wives and mothers but he will buy the smaller sects with them. He knows, if he holds enough of them, he can stand against the larger sects if it comes to it. My father has always been ambitious but I did not think I would ever turn to him and see the face and drive of Wen Ruohan staring back at me. How can I raise a son to be a force for good in the world if I allow my own father to trample over justice without care?'

'It is hard,' said Lan Wangji, 'To look to a father and find him lacking. We can only ever strive to do better than those who have failed before us.'

'It is clear that Jin-Xiandu wants all of the Wen name dead though the consensus amongst all the other sects is that any punishment, due or not, has been served in this exile,' said Jiang Cheng, 'Though I know you have heard as much from Zewu-Jun. Likewise, the Yin Hu Fu will remain a point of contention.'

'I must beg you, Wei Wuxian, never to let it fall into his hands,' said Jin Zixuan, 'I cannot say I agree with such a tool but, in your hands at least, it appears not to be a tool of aggression. If my father takes ownership of it though, I fear we will long for the days of Wen Ruohan.'

Wei Wuxian met the gaze of his boyhood enemy, seeing the same fear and uncertainty that they all knew and lived, all of them bound by traditions and family ties and making any move to counter Jin Guangshan all the harder for fear of reprisals.

'What would you have me do?' said Wei Wuxian, 'Because we are at an impasse. If you have spoken to Zewu-Jun, you will find it is a common theme of our conversations.'

'Do nothing for now,' said Jin Zixuan, 'Let us do the work. Keep your barrier high and keep the Yin Hu Fu safe. We need to find a tipping point that will allow... I intend to unseat my father and take his place or to at least bring things to a point where he can no longer do as he wishes. He is a man of fierce ambition and I have no doubt that Meng Yao was given instructions by him to destroy you that day at Qiongqi Path. That he took his own ambitions in hand was unpredicted or at least I can only hope they were.'

'You cannot mean you think your own father knew you were a target that day?' said Wen Qing, 'Even he...'

'I no longer know him,' said Jin Zixuan, 'A-Ling is heir after me. If I...I truly hope that he never meant for me to be hurt, though it does not lessen the crime that he instructed an innocent man be ambushed, but I will never know. As it is, he would have my duty be to him and our sect, but my duty is to the two I love best in this world. I want a world where my wife and son can live in peace and happiness. I do not want A-Ling to grow to think his hands must always be red with blood to keep a power beyond which any man should wield.'

Wei Wuxian felt Wen Qing's hand tighten on his arm, certain she could feel the emotions that squalled through him at the unexpected declarations being made at their table. Though he had often cursed Jin Guangshan's name, he had never called for outright rebellion against him, those before him though seemed to have discussed such plans at great length and he wondered just how little he understood from Lan Xichen's soft political patience. His thoughts turned to Jiang Yanli, the soft, gentle woman who had ignited more than love in her once pampered husband, revealing the warrior beneath the entitled heir. Though he had thought their love one-sided, he could see it burn as brightly now in Jin Zixuan's eyes when he spoke, the same fire he was certain he wore whenever Lan Wangji or A-Yuan were threatened. It was a love he knew that could cost a man deeply, a love that was a spark to ignite a fire that could burn them all.

'Don't put yourselves at risk,' he said, seeing Wen Qing's nod of agreement beside him, 'We want peace and we want freedom and, if Jin Guangshan is truly growing as dangerous as you say, we want a world where he does not hold such power but do not let this lead to war.'

'If my father continues on this path, war is coming, though I fear it is our sons and daughters who will fight it and suffer for it,' said Jin Zixuan, 'I wish to avoid innocent lives being lost. My intention is to gather enough information to discredit him enough that none will support him, if enough can speak against him, we will prevail. Jiang Cheng has offered to back me and I have already taken the debt owed to my father as my own so it cannot be used as leverage. I claimed it was a gift to A-Li, and it was in part, but it also means my father cannot use it to hold sway over Jiang Cheng. I am only sorry I cannot do the same for GusuLan and QingheNie.'

'You have done much already,' said Lan Wangji, 'And though Jin-Xiandu may hold a financial burden over us, I can assure you that Zewu-Jun would not allow the innocent to suffer to ease any discomfort on our part. I am sure I can say the same for Chifeng-Zun.'

'He has intimated to me that he will stand with us if he needs to,' said Jiang Cheng, 'And Nie Huaisang spends a lot of his time amongst the common people telling tales that paint the Burial Mounds in a far better light than Jinlintai, though he would deny all knowledge of such a storyteller if he was asked.'

'I heard similar from Mianmian,' said Wei Wuxian, before he sighed, 'This is a dangerous path you're all taking.'

'But it is one that must be taken,' said Jin Zixuan, 'I fear it is one we would have found ourselves walking even if the situation here had not come to pass. I had hoped, with Wen Ruohan and his sons gone, we would know peace. I am ashamed that it it from my family that this new threat presents itself.'

'We cannot be held responsible for the behaviour of our relations,' said Wen Qing, her tone gentle rather than reproachful and drawing a smile from their companions, 'I know we cannot offer anything for aid but if anyone is caught or placed in danger through this questioning of yours, our sanctuary here is open to them. Anyone who is an agent for peace is welcome here.'

'I hope it will not come to that,' said Jin Zixuan, 'But I am glad the option is there especially given...'

Wen Qing held up her hand, 'Jin-Gongzi, there is no need,' she said, 'Old hurts will only fester if we linger on them. Let us put our hope in the future; in your son, in A-Yuan.'

'I hope they can be better than those who came before them,' said Jin Zixuan.

'Some who came before them are not so bad,' said Wei Wuxian, a peace settling over the room despite the situation outside, 'What happens now?'

'Wish us luck,' said Jiang Cheng, 'And wait for news from us. Make sure you keep out of mischief.'

'Haven't I so far?' said Wei Wuxian, 'We have followed all the rules, even when it has been hard.'

'And it is noted,' said Jin Zixuan, 'Even those who would hold you up as all that is wrong in the world have been forced to admit that your have adhered to the rules imposed upon you.'

Wei Wuxian laughed, 'Jin-Gongzi has been speaking to Lan-Xiansheng it seems.'

'Wei Ying,' said Lan Wangji, his tone a low warning but his eyes flashed with a humour Wei Wuxian was growing used to, 'Our allies are growing so let's not try to alienate any of them.'

'Hanguang-Jun is wise as always,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I don't like to be idle whilst others take the risk but I imagine my presence now would be more of a hindrance. You need to do this without people linking it directly to us. If you need our help, what little we can offer, it is there as Wen Qing says. We won't ever turn away anyone in need, even if it may make tomorrow's food delivery a little thinner.'

'We brought some provisions with us today,' said Jiang Cheng, 'I can arrange for more to be sent up before we leave for Lanling tomorrow morning.'

'Tomorrow?' said Wei Wuxian, 'So soon.'

'The sooner we act, the better,' said Jin Zixuan, 'With the weather improving there will be more opportunities to solidify alliances with betrothals and weddings and I want to be able to prevent too many being made. If he gains control over too many of the lesser sects, it doesn't matter who stands with you.'

'That we are reduced to this,' said Lan Wangji, 'I am sorry for you, Jin-Gongzi, to find yourself in such a position against your own family. The failing of a parent though, is a lesson one can learn not to repeat.'

Jin Zixuan offered a short nod of understanding, his eyes misting for a moment before he snapped it away, his expression no longer the haughtiness of his youth but with a steel and a resolve that had been forged through the trials he had faced even if his cage was a gilded one in comparison to Wei Wuxian's.

'As Mianmian frequents Yiling, she would be a good option to act as a go between,' said Jin Zixuan, 'I trust her completely and I know her to have always been honest. If you are happy to, will you make the suggestion when she returns from her current travels, I understand from the inn keeper that she is due imminently.'

Wei Wuxian nodded, 'She is trusted by us,' he said, 'We are expecting her back in a day or so. We should keep messages between us strictly necessary only. For anything more trivial, perhaps Shijie could write, design a code so that we know how things are faring. If she says A-Ling is doing well, we know things are going to plan and so on.'

Jin Zixuan nodded, 'That we can work with,' he said, 'But for now, we know where we all are and I do not want to monopolise this visit with only dark conversation. I should see if A-Yuan has indeed introduced A-Ling to those chickens of his.'

'There has been no frantic clucking or running about so hopefully he has not been near their enclosure,' said Wen Qing.

'Ah but then we could treat our guests to some entertainment,' said Wei Wuxian, 'There are a great many things to see in the world but our Hanguang-Jun chasing a chicken that is swifter of foot and clearly quicker of mind too is a sight to behold. He was chasing that thing for an age before he finally cornered it.'

'I am still not convinced it was not possessed by something,' said Lan Wangji, 'But it made A-Yuan laugh. It is not an endeavour I wish to repeat.'

'But we need a good laugh now and then,' said Wei Wuxian.

'That is why we have you,' said Wen Qing, 'More than a little comedy to be found especially when your inventions blow up.'

'I hope you make sure he cleans up after himself,' said Jiang Cheng, 'And do not encourage him.'

Wen Qing smiled, 'He requires little encouragement to be a menace.'

Wei Wuxian laughed as he got to his feet, 'I'm going to see Shijie and the baby, they're nicer to me and he needs some of his Da-Jiu's influence, get him blowing things up in Lanling when he is old enough.'

'We can always keep you here, you know,' called Jiang Cheng as he headed to the door, the small laugh that followed taking any sting from the words.

He heard them all follow behind, the Spring sunshine welcoming them out onto the well turned fields and those happily working away save for the gaggle of older women who had dragged their stools over to where Jiang Yanli sat with Jin Ling on her lap, her attendants standing a protective but discreet distance from them as A-Yuan read studiously from the book of stories Lan Wangji had gifted him so many months before. He saw Jiang Yanli gently correct him, her hand brushing gently over the bridge of his nose as he smiled at her before he continued, directing his words to Jin Ling even as the baby was more interested in gnawing on his own fist.

'May they be the hope for our future, Wei-Zongzhu,' said Jin Zixuan as he reached his side, 'I hope A-Yuan will read A-Ling many stories in the years to come.'

Wei Wuxian smiled, 'I hope so too,' he said as Jiang Yanli noticed them and beckoned them over.

He looked back over his shoulder, seeing Jiang Cheng and Wen Qing happily conversing as she pointed out something on one of the further fields, but it was Lan Wangji who caught his eye, the small smile reserved for Wei Wuxian alone briefly lighting his lips before he was pulled into whatever conversation was being had between the other pair.

Several hours in the sunshine and a simple meal bolstered by the provisions brought by their guests was in no way enough but Wei Wuxian was grateful for it. Though many of the villagers kept a distance it was more through respect than fear, their smiles genuine and several happy to detail their work to the visitors when asked what they were building or planting. Even Wen Ning, who had kept away for the most part of the day, relaxed and joined in the conversations, albeit in his own quiet way, Jin Ling soon taking a shine to him and reaching for him often even as Wei Wuxian held the wriggling boy in his lap until finally sleep over took him and he was handed back to his nurse.

Jin Ling's sleepiness seemed to be a signal that the others should depart, the journey to Yiling and the early morning departure they had planned for their return to Lanling pressing upon them all despite the reluctance that came with their departure.

Wei Wuxian was glad when Wen Qing held A-Yuan back from accompanying them to the barrier, the boy obliging once he had been permitted to kiss his new friend goodbye and after having extracted promises from Jiang Yanli that she would visit again as soon as she was able to. It was therefore Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji alone who walked with the group to the barrier, Lan Wangji keeping a little behind with Jin Zixuan and allowing Wei Wuxian a final few moments with his martial siblings.

He was grateful for it, feeling a little of the camaraderie and love that had been his childhood but that had been chased away when war had broken into that idyllic place. He knew they would never again be the children they had been but he had hope at least for the future if all they wished for came to pass.

Though he wanted longer with them, he was glad that the attendants with them meant they did not linger on goodbye, the farewells brief and formal despite the tears that threatened several of them. He was grateful for the press of Lan Wangji's hand at the small of his back once the barrier was raised and they stood side by side, watching the group depart until they were out of sight and the touch turned from something gentle and hidden to a strong arm around his waist.

'Are you alright, my love?'

Wei Wuxian let his head fall to rest on his shoulder, eyes falling shut as he thought back over the day. 'I don't know,' he said, 'To know they are fighting with us but at such risk...I'm elated and I'm afraid. I can't work out what I truly feel. To have seen them though, even Jin Zixuan, it was something I never thought I would get to have again. To think...'

'Hush,' said Lan Wangji, pressing a kiss to the crown of his head, 'I know where your thoughts are going and it is unnecessary. What Meng Yao intended did not occur and now, hopefully, all the poison will be purged from Lanling with him. I have faith in Jin-Gongzi. He is driven by love and that is a powerful force.'

Wei Wuxian sighed, 'I just hope nothing bad happens,' he said, 'I hate that I can do nothing.'

'You can keep these people safe as you have promised to,' said Lan Wangji, 'Jin-Gongzi and Jiang-Zongzhu have their affairs in hand. Our best path is to stay strong here and wait for their instructions.'

'I was right earlier, our Hanguang-Jun is very wise,' said Wei Wuxian turning to face him, 'Though tonight, I want only my Lan Zhan. I want to lie in the dark with you and forget the world in your arms.'

'I am always your Lan Zhan,' said Lan Wangji, 'But you had best put a barrier on the doorway if you want me to yourself. A-Yuan will no doubt be crawling in between us given half the chance.'

Wei Wuxian smiled, 'Our sweet boy,' he said, 'I was so proud of him today. I'm always so proud of him.'

'Then let's go and tell him,' said Lan Wangji, 'And then I need to help Wen Ning for a while in the storeroom. We need to make space for tomorrow's delivery. I won't be long though.'

'I'll come and help. I don't have the concentration for anything else,' said Wei Wuxian before an unfamiliar noise caught his hearing and he peered into the gnarled trees before them.

'What is it?' said Lan Wangji, hand tightening on Wei Wuxian's hip and only relaxing when he smiled.

'A bird,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I can hear a bird singing. I've never heard a bird singing here before, only the scavenger birds cawing and croaking but that is a proper bird song.'

He watched Lan Wangji tilt his head, the small smile gracing his lips as he too heard the gentle tune.

'The mountain is healing,' he said, 'Take that for the hope it is.'

'Hope,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Yes, for the first time, I think we truly do have hope.'

Chapter 23: The Battle of the Bean Field

Notes:

I've kept this T rated as per the fic but I shall post a few warnings all the same for the mention of a battle, violence, blood and the death of minor (unnamed) characters. This was a hard one to write but I promise that there will be a happy ending.

Chapter Text

'A-Yuan, try to keep a little of the water inside the tub,' said Lan Wangji, 'We are lucky that we have enough fresh water now but we should not be wasteful.'

A-Yuan settled his hands on the surface of the water, instead chasing the occasional swirl with a fingertip. 'Do you think Qing-Gugu is very angry with me for upsetting the chickens and getting dirty this morning?' he said, his face falling, 'I really didn't mean to. I thought the door was shut.'

'I know you did,' said Lan Wangji, 'And it was as much my fault as yours for letting you get ahead of me. Do not worry. Qing-Gugu was more worried and frightened when you got caught on the wire, that's why she shouted. Falling head first into a dirty chicken cage was not the best way to start the day though.'

'Smelly,' said A-Yuan, 'Do you think the chickens were scared?'

Lan Wangji smiled, returning to the side of the tub with a smaller bucket and a comb, 'I think they were startled but they will be fine,' he said, sitting down on the low stool beside the tub, tucking his robs out of the way and setting the bucket at his feet, 'Sit up a little for me so I can rinse your hair. Put a hand over your eyes if you do not like the water and do not wriggle.'

A-Yuan clapped a hand over his eyes as Lan Wangji began to comb through his hair, occasionally scooping a little of the water to ease through any tangles he encountered, the tub at his feet filling slowly with the droplets.

'Zhan-Gege?'

'Mn?' he prompted as no other words were forthcoming.

'Will Xian-Gege be annoyed? He didn't have a smile this morning and I don't want him to be annoyed with me when he gets back.'

Lan Wangji sighed, knowing little got passed the child before him however they tried to hide it. Though the day before had ended happily, the weight of Jin Zixuan's words had begun to rest heavier and heavier upon Wei Wuxian's shoulders. When they had retired to their room, the darkness and the comfort of their bed brought forth his fears as they always did and Lan Wangji had held him as he had worried for his former enemy. Jin Zixuan's planned actions were unfilial, against all that they had been taught from a young age, but frighteningly necessary. Though Lan Wangji had assured him that Jin Zixuan had no doubt thought of every outcome, discussed it at length with those he could trust, and ensured protection was in place as best he could for his wife and son, Wei Wuxian had been unable to settle.

The anger and resentment had felt almost a tangible thing as Wei Wuxian had cursed Jin Guangshan and all who had ever supported him. Though he had seen many glimpses of the horrendous resentful energy that powered Wei Wuxian's cultivation it was always in short, sudden bursts when they were dealing with the restless spirits of the mountain or when he had thought himself alone and allowed himself to worry and fester over the situation they were in. The first was often cured the moment the spirit was safely dealt with and the latter when Lan Wangji or any of the others managed to distract him and remind him of the true pleasure of the now, however hard their situation was. The resentment that surrounded him in their bed though was a darker, deeper thing, built on months and months of anger and fear and a desire for revenge that warred against the need for peace.

When Lan Wangji found he could do no more with just words, he had pulled his trembling lover into his lap, cradled almost like a child, as he summoned his qin. Though the angle was awkward and the execution worthy of a scolding from Lan Qiren if he had heard it, he played through several calming pieces that had once had Wei Wuxian hissing back like a scalded cat but now seemed to relax him as was intended. By the time he reached the piece of music he had written for them and them alone, Wei Wuxian was at least calmer even if Lan Wangji could feel the lingering tension in his body. It was enough though to return them both beneath the covers, sleep an elusive thing, but restful enough. Their quietude had only been interrupted by A-Yuan as he shuffled sleepily to their bed, once more ignoring any instruction not to make his way about the village alone at night, and climbed up, soon finding his customary place pressed between them.

The warm, familiar presence of the child they both dearly loved was a comfort to them, his ease in falling asleep at least allowing them doze. Whatever rest Lan Wangji managed to find though was chased away by having to rouse Wei Wuxian from the cusp of every nightmare, frightened that if he went too deep in any of them, he would harm himself or A-Yuan. Even successfully preventing them taking hold though did not lessen their effect on Wei Wuxian's mood by the morning and he was forced to hush A-Yuan's questioning as Wei Wuxian had left the bed at first light, Chenqing in hand, exiting the cave without a word.

'The world is heavy for Xian-Gege right now, little radish,' he said, smoothing a hand gently through A-Yuan's hair, 'Though he was happy to see his family and his friends yesterday, it is still hard for him. There are many decisions yet to be made that can affect a lot more than just our village. What Xian-Gege needs right now is our patience and our love.'

'Will...' began A-Yuan, 'Will Xian-Gege go back to his other family?'

Lan Wangji sighed, 'The future is not fixed,' he said, 'And I will not make promises we cannot keep. We have spoken of our future whenever we have allowed ourselves too and it is here, in this village with you. We both have family outside the barrier but the family here is the one we have chosen for ourselves. If I have my way and if Xian-Gege has his, we will always be with you.'

'I always want to be with you,' said A-Yuan, his voice small as he sat with his arms wrapped around his knees in the bath.

'Let me finish your hair,' said Lan Wangji, 'You'll get cold if you stay in there too long.'

A-Yuan's usual chatter was absent, reminding Lan Wangji how easily the moods of the adults surrounding him could affect his own demeanour. He kept his hands gentle as he finished combing out his hair, pressing it between the folds of a towel until the worst of the moisture was taken out of it.

'There now,' he said, fetching up one of his own long inner robes that had become too threadbare to be worn, 'Out you come. Let's get you dry.'

He soon lifted A-Yuan out of the water, wrapping him in the cloth and rubbing over his arms in an effort to chase away the chill, pausing as A-Yuan pressed his face into his neck, his little body trembling as he clung to him.

'Tell me what's wrong?' he said, not caring for the growing dampness of his own clothes, 'A-Yuan? I promise I will do all I can to keep us all together.'

'I want us to be a family forever,' said A-Yuan, 'And I...am I bad, Zhan-Gege?'

'Bad?' said Lan Wangji, cradling him closer, 'How could you ever be bad?'

'I don't remember my parents,' said A-Yuan, 'And I want...'

'What do you want?' said Lan Wangji with a sigh, moving to sit down on the edge of the bed as A-Yuan remained silent, wrapping the tattered robe a little tighter around him to ward off the chill, 'A-Niang died when I was only two years older than you. I did not understand what it meant and I was not given the chance to say goodbye. I think about her every day but her face is not as clear as it once was to me. It does not mean I love her any less and I will never forget her, even if the memories are not so clear. It is the same with your parents. Just because their memory fades a little, does not mean you have forgotten them.'

'What if I want new parents?' whispered A-Yuan, 'What if I want...'

'Tell me,' said Lan Wangji, 'There is no shame in wanting love and security after all you've lived through.'

'I want you to be,' said A-Yuan, 'You promised you'd look after me. I want you and Xian-Gege to look after me forever. I want...can I call you A-Die?'

Lan Wangji was glad A-Yuan was still buried against him, certain the expression on his face was one he had never worn before. His heart leapt hard against his ribs as his throat grew tight, so many wants and dreams spoken by the child who seemed to have words for everything despite having lived such a short time in the world. It was all he wanted, his mind screaming to answer with an immediate yes, the child of his heart finally claiming him despite them sharing not a single drop of blood. The voice in his head, that sounded devastatingly like Lan Qiren, was quick to caution him, to remind him that the world beyond was still a cold and cruel place however much Lan Wangji wished for it to be different.

'I love you, little radish,' he said, his voice rough but strong as he spoke, 'I love you more than I ever thought it possible and for you to give me such a name would be the greatest joy and the greatest honour I could ever receive. I would proudly stand before the world and tell them that Wen Yuan is my own beloved son, given to me by fate, but right now, it is too dangerous for me to do so. Outside of our barrier, there are people who would take our love and use it to hurt us. There are people who would say I have to leave, that I am no longer allowed to protect you and I do not want that to happen.'

'The bad people,' said A-Yuan, 'Why would they make you go away?'

'Because my job, when I was sent here, was to make sure you were all good people and they will say I am hiding things if they know how much we mean to each other.'

'But we are good,' said A-Yuan, 'No one is naughty and no one does bad things.'

'I know and so do those outside who are helping us,' said Lan Wangji, 'But until Jin-Xiandu and those who follow him are convinced otherwise, we need to be careful. We need to be careful so we can all stay together. Do you understand?'

A-Yuan finally raised his head, deep eyes studying Lan Wangji's with only the faintest sheen of tears, 'Like how you don't tell everyone how much you love Xian-Gege?'

'Yes,' said Lan Wangji, knowing there was no use denying the point, 'Just like that. One day though, I will tell the world how much I love him and we will be married.'

'And then I can call him A-Die too,' said A-Yuan, 'Can you have two?'

Lan Wangji raised his small hand to his lips, pressing a kiss to his palm, 'You can have whatever you want,' he said, 'But we need to speak to others first as well. You have a family that loved your parents dearly and who love you just as much and they should be asked if this would be something they would be happy with. I do not see anyone denying you but they are your family, they share your name, and they should be a part of this choice when the time comes to make it.'

'I told Popo I wanted to ask you and Xian-Gege last night,' said A-Yuan, 'She said she would be happy because that would mean you would be like her sons. If you were her sons then we would all be family.'

'A-Yuan,' said Lan Wangji, 'However we call each other, we are family. Until we are free though, keep what you wish to call me in your heart. There I know it will be safe.'

A-Yuan nodded before he dropped his voice to a whisper, 'Can I say it just once?' he said, 'Then I will kept it secret until the bad people leave us alone.'

Lan Wangji knew he should refuse, that it could hurt more than comfort but he nodded all the same. He was not sure if it was design or instinct but he didn't flinch as small, chubby fingers gently traced the charm on the ribbon he wore, A-Yuan's face loving and open as he smiled at him.

'A-Die,' he said, 'I love you.'

'I love you too,' he said, holding him close as A-Yuan hugged him tightly and only releasing him as he felt the child shiver, 'Let's get you into something warmer.'

As he helped A-Yuan to dress in fresh clothes, his others in need of a good wash after their unexpected meeting with the bottom of the chicken coop, he allowed himself to long for the day when he could dress him in finer things, the mark of the sect he still hoped they could build embroidered into the material. By the time he was fastening A-Yuan's hair, the sound of familiar footfalls began to approach the door.

He had the forethought to take his hands away from A-Yuan's hair, the boy bolting towards Wei Wuxian the moment he saw him and managing to chase a little of the worry that furrowed his brow with his smile. Wei Wuxian swept him up into his arms, pressing a kiss to his cheek.

'There's my little radish but why do you smell so sweet?' he said, 'Did you fall in the stream?'

A-Yuan shook his head, 'No. I fell in the chicken coop and Zhan-Gege had to give me a bath because I was so smelly.'

Wei Wuxian laughed though Lan Wangji could hear the hollow notes that always accompanied his more difficult days.

'I do not know who to feel more sorry for. The chickens for getting a fright, Lan Zhan for having to clean you up or you for being covered in chicken...'

'I think were are all equally sorrowful,' said Lan Wangji, cutting off any further discussion of exactly what A-Yuan had been covered in, 'I may claim a little extra though as I still have his clothes to wash unless I want another glare from Wen Qing.'

'Sharper even than those needles of hers,' said Wei Wuxian, rubbing at A-Yuan's cheek, 'Were you hurt when you fell, little radish, you look like you've been crying.'

A-Yuan shook his head, 'I didn't get hurt,' he said, 'I just got a bit sad but Zhan-Gege gave me cuddles and I felt better. He...Zhan-Gege, can we say to Xian-Gege?'

Lan Wangji sighed, trying to read what remained of the trials of the night and the morning on his lover's face but it was masked by his concern for the child in his arms and he knew it would be impossible to dismiss A-Yuan's words as something inconsequential.

'Come and sit down,' he said, seeing the question on Wei Wuxian's face as he crossed to the bed and settled beside him.

'What's going on?' he said, settling A-Yuan more comfortably on his lap.

'Our little radish has been making plans,' said Lan Wangji, 'Plans that involve you and I.'

'When the bad people leave us alone and you and Zhan-Gege get married,' said A-Yuan.

Lan Wangji rested his hand over Wei Wuxian's where it sat on A-Yuan's waist to steady the child. 'He sees so much and we hardly hide it any more,' he said, as Wei Wuxian's eyes widened in shock at the words, 'Rest easy with it.'

Wei Wuxian smiled shakily, 'Do you want Zhan-Gege and I to get married?'

A-Yuan nodded, 'And when you are married I can stay with you forever,' he said, 'Zhan-Gege says I can call him A-Die then and I want to call you that too. Zhan-Gege says I have to do it in my heart until the bad people leave us alone though.'

Wei Wuxian was silent, his eyes filling swiftly with tears as they met Lan Wangji's before he pressed his face into A-Yuan's damp hair, his arms tightening around him. Lan Wangji moved to sit closer to him, wrapping his own arm around his shaking shoulders as he allowed the quiet to settle over them. He knew Wei Wuxian never placed the value on himself that the people who surrounded him did, saw himself as merely an instrument of protection even as they raised him as a leader. To be given such a name from the boy he loved would be a step even further. It was a name that had all but floored Lan Wangji himself but he knew the acceptance of it, the understanding that he was worthy of such honour and such love, would be beyond Wei Wuxian especially with the mood that had hung over him since the day before.

He pressed a kiss to the side of his head, hoping to give him a little grounding, stroking a hand over his hair.

'You're so loved,' he said quietly, 'When this is over, we will be together.'

'Lan Zhan,' said Wei Wuxian, shakily, 'You don't know...'

'We have hope,' said Lan Wangji, 'We have hope.'

'I know the bad people won't let us be free yet,' said A-Yuan, 'But maybe one day we can go outside again and not be worried. When we are free, will you marry Zhan-Gege and take care of me?'

Wei Wuxian took a shuddering breath, raising his head enough that Lan Wangji could see the tears on his cheeks but the smallest of smiles brightened his face.

'I will take care of you for as long as you want me to,' he said, 'I will love you for far longer. If you want me, if you both want me...'

'We love you,' said A-Yuan, a small frown on his face, 'Have I made you sad?'

Wei Wuxian shook his head, 'You've made me so happy,' he said, 'I am happy, I promise. It's just...I never stood a chance against the pair of you. I could stand against the world but the two of you can disarm me in moments.'

'Well if you allow yourself to be vulnerable with anyone, then let it be with us,' said Lan Wangji, 'Are you alright?'

Wei Wuxian nodded, only his eyes registering any doubt or reluctance, 'Of all the conversations I thought I might have today, this was not one of them though,' he said, 'Allow me some warning in advance next time.'

'It was rather dropped on my head too,' said Lan Wangji.

'What dropped on your head, Zhan-Gege?' said A-Yuan, 'Did the chickens get you too? You will need a bath.'

'I luckily avoided getting covered like you,' said Lan Wangji.

'Of all the things the great Hanguang-Jun had planned for his life, I doubt any of this ever factored,' said Wei Wuxian, the laughter in his words doing nothing to hide the worry in his voice.

'Whatever I had planned pales in comparison,' said Lan Wangji, 'I am happy here with the both of you.'

'Happy,' said A-Yuan before he rubbed a fist against his stomach, 'I'm hungry. When is the food coming?'

'Soon,' said Wei Wuxian, 'They're never later than mid-morning. If you go to Popo though, she was cooking something that smelled sweet with some of the things we needed to use up. Perhaps she has a treat for you.'

A-Yuan wriggled, his thoughts focused on the promised treats and a world away from the monumental shift he had made in the lives of the men holding him. 'Can I go Zhan-Gege? I promise not to get dirty again.'

'Just keep away from the chickens for the rest of the day,' said Lan Wangji, helping him to climb down from Wei Wuxian's lap, 'And don't get underfoot when the delivery gets here, some of those sacks are heavy and I don't want you or anyone else getting hurt.'

'I will be good,' said A-Yuan, tugging him down to press a kiss to his cheek before he did the same for Wei Wuxian, 'Look after Xian-Gege.'

'I will,' said Lan Wangji, seeing the distance settle in Wei Wuxian's eyes even as he tried to maintain his smile for A-Yuan, the darker thoughts that plagued him catching up with him even with the sweetness of the moments before, 'Hurry now or everyone else will have eaten the best ones.'

A-Yuan smiled brightly as he skipped towards the door, his voice carrying back to them even after he had disappeared into the morning sunshine, calling out to whoever he saw and proclaiming himself clean once more. Lan Wangji wanted nothing more than to share the joy of his innocence with the man at his side but he knew that Wei Wuxian's mind was already far from the scene, no doubt thinking on some darker future where he failed the child who had claimed him.

'Sweetheart,' he said, lacing their fingers together, 'I'm sorry if it was too much.'

'He made the right choice in you,' said Wei Wuxian.

'And in you. In us both,' said Lan Wangji, 'You were there for him long before I was.'

'He hopes for so much and it's still so out of reach. So much...'

'Be glad he still has it in him to hope, so many other children would be broken by all he has known but he has such a strength and such a fight in him. He would wring joy from far darker places and save us all with his smile.'

'When I should be the one saving him,' said Wei Wuxian, 'He deserves someone better than me.'

'Hush,' said Lan Wangji, tightening his grip on his hand, 'You're worrying and I know things are harder on you when you are. Can I help at all?'

Wei Wuxian shook his head, 'Unless you can speed up Lan-Xiansheng in finding a way I can keep these people safe and not be the world's enemy to do it,' he said, 'And whilst you're there, find a way to stop Jin Zixuan doing what I know needs to be done because I am so afraid for what will come of it all. Jin Guangshan is not a reasonable man. You cannot predict a mad man.'

'Which is precisely why action needs to be taken,' said Lan Wangji, 'At least we are no longer alone in this. We have strong allies beside us, stronger than Jin Guangshan's posturing and bribery. If enough good people stand side by side, good will come.'

'My Lan Zhan should have been a poet,' said Wei Wuxian, letting his head fall onto his shoulder, 'Instead, he ended up here to scratch a living from the barren earth.'

'Which is now not so barren and begins to bear fruit. I have lived my whole life in ease and simplicity so to taste the bitterness of the world has been a chance and a lesson I would not give up the chance to experience if I was given the choice again. To have lived and fought and suffered beside you and the people we love has made me happier than I ever could have been if I had moved through the world as I once thought I must.'

Wei Wuxian was silent, his breathing even but Lan Wangji could feel the tension in him that did not lessen as he rubbed gently at his shoulders. He knew the mood that had taken him would pass with time but it would be a companion on the journey their lives would take as well unless they somehow managed to lessen the hold the Yin Hu Fu had on Wei Wuxian. He would gratefully sit in silence with the man he loved each time he needed him to though, remind him that there was always someone beside him, someone who would not abandon him even in the darkest of moments.

'My head hurts,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I want to sleep but when I close my eyes it gets worse. It's not been this bad for a while.'

'With an ending seeming to be closer than before, it is natural that you will worry more,' said Lan Wangji, 'I am sure I could ask someone to take my place when the delivery arrives if you want to sleep, then I can stay with you. I can sit with you whilst you rest.'

'Delivery day is always a happy day,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I don't want to ruin it.'

'You are ruining nothing by taking what you need,' said Lan Wangji, 'No one would begrudge you rest if you need it. Lie down with me awhile, until the delivery gets here at least, then see how you feel.'

'I thought Wen Qing was expecting you to wash A-Yuan's things?'

'And I shall,' said Lan Wangji, 'But I believe our doctor would insist that ensuring your health is prioritised is more important.'

'That depends on entirely what mood she is in with me,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I'm such a burden to you all sometimes.'

'These thoughts are part of the resentful energy plaguing you,' said Lan Wangji, 'You are not a burden at any time. I know how hard this is for you, even if you don't always share it with me.'

Wei Wuxian turned, pressing his face into his shoulder, lips brushing against his skin as he spoke. 'I'm sorry that I don't tell you about it but it is hard to find the words,' he said, 'To explain it...'

'I know. I know it's hard. If all I can do is be beside you and remind you that I will always be there then let me do that,' said Lan Wangji, 'If all I can do is love you through the worst of it until we find a solution then that is what I'll do.'

'You and A-Yuan are determined to break me today,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Lie down with me. I need to feel you breathing.'

Lan Wangji quickly obliged, arranging them on top of the blankets with Wei Wuxian resting against his chest. He remained silent, keeping his breathing even and deep as he felt a little of the tension drain from his lover. Wei Wuxian's fingers were cold as they slipped through his, grasping his hand, the chill of his body never fully chased away even with the warmer weather. It was another outward sign of the struggle he concealed from the rest of the world, his vulnerability only ever shown when his hand was forced and, even then, to only a select few. It was a dubious honour that Lan Wangji was the one permitted to see the worst of it, to see the daily aching struggle for control of a power that was so contrary to Wei Wuxian's nature and yet so crucial to the survival of those he loved.

'It knows,' said Wei Wuxian after a long silence, 'At least, that's what it feels like. It knows that I'm thinking of how to neutralise it and it doesn't like it. It's getting harder to control. Until now, I've been managing but since yesterday it feels like such a struggle.'

'Can I help?' said Lan Wangji, tightening his arms around him, 'Tell me how to help.'

'There's nothing you can do. Only...'

'What is it?'

'Stay close to me,' said Wei Wuxian, 'And if I lose control...don't let me hurt anyone, even if you have to hurt me to do so. I'll forgive you for it.'

The thought of doing any harm felt like a knife beneath his ribs as he shook his head, 'I will protect those who need protecting but to hurt you in any way...'

'You promised to protect the weak and the vulnerable,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Please don't let me hurt anyone we love.'

'I will do all I can to keep everyone safe, you included,' said Lan Wangji, 'I love you. You deserve to be safe and protected as well.'

'I'm afraid, Lan Zhan,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I'm so afraid and I can't shake it.'

'I am with you,' replied Lan Wangji, 'Whatever happens.'

'What if this all goes wrong? Jin Zixuan, Jiang Cheng, Shijie, what if... if this goes wrong, I dread to think what will happen.'

'They are all aware of the choices they are making; as you were when you brought the Wens here, as I was when I agreed to stand by you, as Xiongzhang was when he supported me,' said Lan Wangji, 'We are all striving for peace. They hope for the world we hope for. Just rest and trust that they know what they are doing. Jin Zixuan will not put his wife and child at risk on a flimsy chance.'

'Isn't the whole of life just flimsy chance?'

Lan Wangji pressed a kiss to his forehead, 'And you call me a poet,' he said, 'All will be well. Yesterday was a shock on top of an already stressful reunion and the end feels like it is growing closer. Your fears and worries are valid but letting them rule you is giving the resentment what it needs to trouble you. I know it is easier said than done but you need to rest and trust that perhaps the wind may be turning in our favour.'

Wei Wuxian was silent once more but a little more of the tension drained from his body as his breathing grew deeper and more even. Lan Wangji kept hold of his hand as the other wrapped comfortably around his shoulders, holding him close and hoping he could feel the care and protection in the touch. Though his own thoughts wanted to take a darker path, to stray to Jin Zixuan failing, to Lan Xichen withdrawing his support and trying to summon him home, to Wei Wuxian finally losing the tenuous control he held over his unorthodox cultivation, to every manner of ill fate that could befall them all, he refused to allow them to do so. Instead, he focused on A-Yuan's words from the morning, to allow himself to imagine a future where they would all be together, where they could prosper and grow, where Wei Wuxian could be whole and without worry and could allow his body and soul to rest in Lan Wangji's protection.

He could have cursed when he felt the small shudder pass through Wei Wuxian, feeling the warning through the talismans that had been set low on the mountain that someone was on their way to them. He could not truly begrudge it though, even as it roused the man in his arms, the food delivery not as pressing as it once was but the thought of eating something truly fresh rather than the more preserved end of their rations was always an appealing one, the evening meal on delivery day always a celebration of sorts.

'Do you have to go?' said Wei Wuxian stirring against him, 'You said you were helping putting the delivery away.'

'I can stay if you need me to,' said Lan Wangji, 'I am sure it will be forgiven and I can take on other chores to compensate.'

'If you're missing, Wen Qing will come looking and I don't want her worrying,' said Wei Wuxian, 'She was quiet last night. She's worrying too. I'll be alright on my own for a while.'

'Why not come out,' said Lan Wangji, 'It might make you feel better to see everyone smiling.'

Wei Wuxian raised himself up, letting go of Lan Wangji's hand in favoured of resting his fist against his chest and setting his chin upon it as he regarded him. 'You're not going to let me wallow in peace are you?'

Lan Wangji was glad to see the small teasing glint in his eye, even though the heaviness was still hanging upon him. 'Most definitely not,' he said, 'You make for a dreadful bedfellow when you're morose. You need food and light and you'll feel better.'

'I am a man, not a plant,' said Wei Wuxian, 'You sound like you're planning to bury me in soil and water me.'

'Is that not what you once threatened to do with A-Yuan?'

'Ah, my beloved Lan Zhan, you do not want to grow any more of me,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I am more trouble than I am worth as it is.'

Lan Wangji caught several errant strands of his hair, tucking it behind his ear, 'You're worth all the trouble,' he said, feeling him shiver, 'The barrier?'

Wei Wuxian nodded, 'Delivery is here,' he said, the smile on his lips small but genuine, 'Let's go out to them. You are right that it might cheer me up a little.'

'So long as you're sure,' said Lan Wangji, the answer unspoken by the lips that soon found his, certain that it would be a good few moments more before they broke from one another to venture outside.

The scream that broke them apart was far more desperate than anything he had ever heard even in the deepest midst of a battle. Bichen was in his hand in moments, following fast behind Wei Wuxian who was already heading for the mouth of the cave.

He had thought to find another house collapsed, the irrigation system flooded or an injury from their simple farming tools. What he did not expect were the masked men who ran through the camp, swords drawn and cutting down anyone in their path. Those who dared counter them did so with spades rather then swords, their defence plans built around having the warning of the barrier being breached. Those intruders who were not fighting were tearing at the young crops in the ground or setting light to the wood of the houses, the fires soon chasing out those who had taken refuge inside.

'They were concealed upon the delivery cart,' came the halting report from the man nearest to them, 'Breached the barrier that way.'

It was a mere moment for Lan Wangji's mind to view the situation before him and break it down to the most simplistic of terms. Intruder. Enemy. He did not pause to question further, only cut down those threatening the people he loved, putting himself between the vulnerable and those who had come to harm them. The screams continued to ring around him but they were accompanied by strong commands, those he had been teaching and drilling for months falling back on the training he had given them so that they could defend their home.

The shrill notes of Chenqing made his gut roll as much as the battle did. Piercing, shrieking notes filled with the darkest commands echoed throughout the village, commanding those that had been suppressed for so long, those who Wei Wuxian had not called on despite what the rumours said about him, to rise up and to do their master's work. For all the horror it brought though, for all the screams that echoed from the villagers not only due to their assailants but also from the ghoulish figures that emerged from the depths beneath their feet, the ending was swift, the battle over with only one of the intruders left struggling and cursing in Wen Ning's unyielding grip.

'Make sure he doesn't swallow anything,' said Wei Wuxian, several of the men hurrying to unmask the intruder, holding his mouth open with little gentleness until it was searched and nothing found.

The dark shadows and ill made figures Wei Wuxian had summoned began to dissipate, but the dark energy still circled around him all the same. Pulsing with an aura of malevolence so contrary to gthe gentle soul Lan Wangji had come to love.

He hurried over to them, passing those dead or dying on the ground, his own anger riding high and knowing it would only be worse in the others. Though he trusted them all to be rational, knew them to be kind people, he knew anger and fear made men dangerous. Those killed in battle were one thing; clean kills, death in defence of self or defence of others an acceptable one but a prisoner was different and far more than honour stood beside the single man in Wen Ning's grip. They had pleaded so many times for mercy and justice during their own imprisonment and Lan Wangji would not let them jeopardise it in anger.

'Wei Ying,' he called, glad when his attention turned away from the man Wen Ning held, the fierce expression softening more to sorrow as he met his gaze.

The intruder struggled but Wen Ning's grip was unfailing but Lan Wangji could see his eyes were clear as he reached them, under his own control rather than Wei Ying's or any one else who could seek to use him.

'Hanguang-Jun,' said the intruder, his voice a piercing whine, 'We came with the delivery and they attacked us. The vicious Wens and then Wei Wuxian turned his monsters on us.'

'I don't recognise your face,' said Lan Wangji, pressing down his own anger at the obvious lie, 'I don't recognise any of the faces here that are not part of this village. I know the men who bring the deliveries, the rarely alter, you have never been one of them.'

'There is sickness in the village,' said the man, pointing to Wei Wuxian, 'His vile ghosts came down and...'

'Enough,' said Lan Wangji, hearing the knuckles on Wei Wuxian's hand crack as it tightened around Chenqing, 'Get him tied up. Keep him alive. We need to find out what's happened.'

Wei Wuxian nodded, 'Wen Ning, stay with him, break his neck if he tries to escape.'

Lan Wangji didn't correct the words, Bichen keen and sharp in his hand, all too willing to end a life that had such disregard for those around him. Wen Ning bundled the man away, his fight taken out of him as he realised that any lies were to meet a wall where Lan Wangji stood, falling silent as he was given to the mercy of the Ghost General.

The air around him felt charged, dark and cloying, as he reached for Wei Wuxian's hand, hoping to ground him a little as the reality of what had befallen them became all too apparent.

'A set up,' he hissed, 'No doubt they've paid a handful of widows to say their men did not return from their duty.'

'Whatever it is, what matters now is ensuring there are no intruders left and that we take care of the wounded,' said Lan Wangji.

Wei Wuxian wheeled away from him with a shout, hands clawing at his own head before he spoke, 'How were we so stupid?' he cried, 'We let them in ourselves. We never once thought of it as a vulnerability. How did they... the barrier!'

Lan Wangji felt the familiar shiver run through him as the barrier dropped once more, shouts echoing up the mountain as whoever had broken through hurried towards them. Those left standing quickly formed up behind them as Lan Wangji had trained them to do, too few in number as he spared them a glance and worry began to settle in him as to who was injured or dead.

Chenqing was already at Wei Wuxian's lips, the whisper of the first broken notes reaching out on the wind when a flash of gold and then purple came into view. It was all Lan Wangji could do to force down his arm to prevent anything flying forth in his anger and shock, friend struck rather than foe as Jin Zixuan and Jiang Cheng led the charge.

Both stopped dead as they reached them, disciples almost falling over themselves behind at the sudden pause.

'So fast,' said Jin Zixuan, his eyes scanning the devastation of the village, 'So fast. We came as soon as we heard.'

Wei Wuxian's shout was all the warning Lan Wangji had as he flew from his side, grabbing Jin Zixuan by his throat in a merciless grip, his face a mask of fury as he all but screamed at the man he had made peace with the day before.

'Heard? How could you hear when we did not send for help?' he snapped, 'You could only have heard if you were a part of it.'

'Wei Ying,' said Lan Wangji, grabbing hold of him as he tried to prise his hands from Jin Zixuan's throat, 'Calm down.'

'He came to see that the work was done.'

'He came because the midwife ran to the village to tell us an attack was being mounted on the Burial Mounds,' said Jiang Cheng, 'She saw them overcome the merchants transporting the delivery claiming to be from here but she knew they were not. The food was scattered on the road up here and we found their bodies. Only a few survived.'

'You broke through the barrier,' snapped Wei Wuxian, his grip only barely easing on Jin Zixuan's throat as Lan Wangji held him back.

'It was barely there when we arrived,' said Jiang Cheng, 'Your men guarding it were dead when we got there.'

'They would not have had time to renew it if they were attacked,' said Lan Wangji as Wei Wuxian finally relented, 'Please calm down. There's been enough violence for one day.'

'We came to help, Wei Wuxian,' said Jin Zixuan, putting several paces of distance between them as he finally released him, 'I'm only sorry we came too late.'

'Too late,' said Wei Wuxian as he turned to face the village behind them.

Fires still burned on several of the houses, the once neat fields broken and trampled, littered with bodies of their own and the intruders alike. Lan Wangji took hold of his wrist as the truth of the devastation hit him just as hard, bodies of people he had shared a meal with that very morning now laid unmoving on the ground, blood mixing with mud and soil as those who had survived tried in vain to find the right way to turn.

A screaming cry, heartbroken and desperate, had hand after hand moving to the nearest weapon but the source required no defence, any chance of salvation long since passed as they watched Wen Qing rush to the crying woman's side.

A crying woman, bent as best she could over then body of her husband with their unborn child still within her.

Chapter 24: A New Alliance

Notes:

Hello all. A few tw for this chapter as it is the aftermath of the battle. Please be warned of mentions of injury (broken bones, lacerations), mention of medical intervention, blood, death, burial, the mention of dead animals, survival trauma. Nothing is too graphic but if anything is likely to upset you, please approach with caution and likewise do forgive me if I haven't mentioned something above. All is PG-13 max and canon-typical violence/gore.

Chapter Text

Wei Wuxian was sure the only thing keeping him upright was Lan Wangji's trembling grip around his wrist as he watched Wen Qing comfort the newly made widow, her cries bitter and desperate as they mingled with so many more.

With the heat of the battle having dissipated, the devastation of it became all too apparent. Though the invasion and the battle had been quick, the damage done would be far reaching. Nearly every field that had been sown or planted was rooted up, the crops that had promised them a little in the well of self sufficiency beyond saving. A few houses still burned, given up to the flames as attention turned to what could be used if it was saved, the remaining structures certain to be uninhabitable until they were sure they could withstand the elements. Those of their own who had survived had already begun lifting the bodies of their fallen family, a resignation on their faces that spoke of the action being all too familiar and one they had been expecting.

'How many have we lost?' he said, his voice coming out in a hoarse whisper, 'How many are dead? I was meant to protect them.'

'This was always coming,' said Lan Wangji, 'I just never thought...we need to get the wounded seen to, save what we can.'

'Tell us what you need?' said Jin Zixuan, his voice quiet but determined, 'Tell us what you need us to do.'

'I...' began Wei Wuxian, part of him wanting to just send him and Jiang Cheng away but knowing they needed all the help they could get, 'The wounded. Find the wounded and get them into the hall. If you can salvage beds, medicine and bandages, get it to Wen Qing, she will...we need to save who we can and the dead...'

'The wounded first,' said Lan Wangji, squeezing his wrist, 'Jiang-Zongzhu, can you spare someone to return to Yiling and ask for aid. If there is a price, tell them GusuLan will honour it. I know they have their own wounded from what you said before but if they can spare anyone or any supplies, it would help. Is Jin-Furen still there?'

Jiang Cheng nodded, 'She took ill last night which is why we were delayed in leaving this morning,' he said, 'It is nothing to be concerned about, she is fine, she just needed to rest before we travelled.'

'Could she send word to the Cloud Recesses as to what has happened?' said Lan Wangji, 'I need...'

'Done,' said Jiang Cheng, turning to his nearest disciple and speaking quietly to him.

'A-Yuan? A-Yuan! Where are you?'

Wei Wuxian had been sure little more of his world could crash down around him but the sound of Wen-Popo's calls as she picked over the debris of the fields toppled what little hope he had left in him.

'A-Yuan?' he said, looking around as if he would find the child attached to his leg as he so often was, 'Where's A-Yuan? Popo!'

'A-Xian, I can't find him. He ran from me when the fighting stopped.'

'Go and look for him,' said Jin Zixuan, 'If he's run because he's frightened he needs people he trusts. We'll help here. Go.'

'Popo, stay with the others, we'll find him,' said Wei Wuxian.

Lan Wangji let go of his wrist in favour of taking his hand, a small comfort in the touch as he led him away from where Jin Zixuan and Jiang Cheng were giving tasks to the Jiang disciples that had come with them to the Burial Mounds.

'I think I know where to start,' said Lan Wangji, his voice tight, 'If he saw what they did to the crops.'

'Lan Zhan, where?' said Wei Wuxian, stopping short as he realised where they were heading, his stomach churning as he thought of what A-Yuan's eyes could have witnessed.

The scene that greeted them was a horrific tableau for all they had suffered, the cruelty of it all the more heartbreaking in a place where had always seen happiness and laughter and care. The place that had been their youngest's own little sanctuary and occupation for many months.

A-Yuan crouched low amongst the debris of the former chicken coop, wood and feathers littering the ground around him, the dirt floor sodden with blood from the dead birds that surrounded him. He cradled one in his hands, his voice a strained whisper as he spoke.

'Wake up. Please wake up. The bad men are gone. Xian-Gege and Zhan-Gege made them stop. You can wake up now.'

Bichen clattered noisily to the ground beside them as Lan Wangji was the first to close the short distance between them and the boy; the fear in A-Yuan's eyes clearing only a little as he saw him.

'Zhan-Gege,' he said, his hands trembling around his beloved pet, 'Zhan-Gege, she won't wake up.'

Lan Wangji's hands cradled his gently as he knelt down beside him, 'I know, my little radish,' he said, 'They won't wake up again. I'm sorry. My darling, they're dead, there's nothing we can do.'

'But I want them to wake up,' said A-Yuan, 'They were safe in their house and then bad men... it's like...like...make them wake up.'

'I can't,' said Lan Wangji, 'I'm sorry.'

'Xian-Gege can,' said A-Yuan, 'Xian-Gege made the dead ones come out of the ground to fight the bad people. He woke Ning-Shushu up when he was dead. Xian-Gege, do my chickens like you did Ning-Shushu, please? You can wake them up.'

'I can't,' said Wei Wuxian, hating the words but knowing it would be easier to deliver the blow cleanly than to give A-Yuan any false hope, 'Ning-Shushu was different and what I do...it won't work, A-Yuan. I can't bring them back.'

A-Yuan's lip trembled, hands tightening on the lifeless bird he held, 'But they did nothing wrong!' he cried, 'They were good chickens. They laid eggs every day and didn't make lots of noise. They stayed in their cage. They were good chickens.'

Good chickens who stayed in their cage and gave no trouble. Wei Wuxian bit back the sob that wanted to escape him as his eyes drifted back towards the devastation of the village, the village that they had made a home despite it being a prison. The anger burned hot through him, cursing that he had obeyed and behaved for so long, cursing that he had done all that was asked of him only for the ending to be the same. His friends cut down on what had always been a joyful day, their makeshift homes destroyed, their hard work turned to ruin even though they had done all that was asked of them.

'They were good chickens, Zhan-Gege,' said A-Yuan as Lan Wangji gently coaxed the bird from his hands and set it gently on the ground, 'They didn't do anything wrong.'

'They were good,' said Lan Wangji, his voice hoarse with the tears that threatened, 'They were so good and this wasn't their fault. It was all the bad people. What they did was so cruel.'

'Why did they do it?' cried A-Yuan, his tears breaking as he fell into Lan Wangji's arms, 'Why did they come? We were good. We were good.'

The cries were wild, loud, gasping things, cries that wanted to escape Wei Wuxian just as much but he feared what would happen if he let the tenuous control he had on his emotions snap. He watched Lan Wangji's shoulders shake, his own sobs muffled against A-Yuan's hair but there all the same. He felt unqualified to comfort them, his own failings, his shortcomings as the sect leader they had wanted him to be leading to the death surrounding them. His heart though drew him to them, the two people he loved best in the world, the tiny family that had given him hope even in the darkest times.

'I wish this world was gentler for you, A-Yuan,' he said, kneeling beside them and stroking a hand over his back, 'I wish I could make it as good as you are. I'm only sorry I didn't do enough before today.'

'Wei Ying,' said Lan Wangji, his eyes red rimmed as he met his gaze, 'There was nothing any of us could have done. We never thought...this tragedy was Jin Guangshan's doing, I'm certain of it. This isn't anyone's fault but his.'

'I want us to go away,' said A-Yuan, 'Go far away so they can't find us any more.'

Wei Wuxian felt the urge to do just that rush through him, to pack up what little they had left and run but he knew they would not get far. Jin Guangshan, if he had sent their assailants as he very much suspected, had not sent a force big enough to kill them all outright and Wei Wuxian was certain would be assassins were poised along every single road they could flee down. He watched the similar realisation cross Lan Wangji's face, the act no doubt one designed to flush them out so that the real killing could be done without censure.

'Xian-Gege, I'm scared. Scared like back in the bad place.'

'Don't be scared,' said Wei Wuxian, trying and failing to find the words to comfort him, 'We...A-Yuan, don't be scared.'

'I want it to be over,' said A-Yuan, 'I want it to end.'

'Then we will end it,' said Lan Wangji, 'Because this has been one push too far.'

'Lan Zhan?' said Wei Wuxian, following him to standing, 'There's nothing we can do. Jin Guangshan will deny it.'

Lan Wangji sighed, cradling A-Yuan closer to him, 'What can we do?'

'I don't know,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I really don't. Right now, let's get him to Popo, she'll be frantic and then we need to get the wounded treated and see what we can salvage so we can eat and sleep tonight. Anything after that...'

'We'll weather it together,' said Lan Wangji, 'Let's work out where we're starting from first. A lot will depend on how many are still able.'

Wei Wuxian wrenched his thoughts away from what could be the reality of the attack, unsure even of how many were dead or dying. He knew if he lingered too long he would loose all sense and reason, his heart only a moment from breaking for all they had suffered and all he had failed to protect them from.

A warm hand took hold of his, squeezing gently. He met the soft yet determined eyes before him, so different from the serious boy he had met so long before at the gates of the Cloud Recesses. He was sure though that Lan Wangji had never looked more himself than in that moment, serious and determined but softened by the pain that only love could bring. With his darker, threadbare robes and the boy who had become their own beloved son propped on his hip, he was a certain and sure presence at Wei Wuxian's side, the man he knew he could break upon when they were finally alone and what remained of their makeshift family was safe and cared for. Until then, he would be his guide, confidante and partner in all he needed him to be. He could only hope that the dream they had spoken beneath their blankets, whispered lip to lip and heart to heart, was still within reach even as it seemed to disappear over the horizon.

'Xian-Gege?' said A-Yuan, raising his head from where it was buried against Lan Wangji's neck.

'What is it, little radish?'

The small hand that gently cupped his cheek shook a little. 'I love you,' he said, 'Thank you for calling up the dead ones to help, even if they were scary.'

Wei Wuxian bit his lip to prevent it trembling, hating that the young child before him was in a place where he was grateful for an army of ghosts and corpses. 'I'm sorry they were scary, little radish,' he said, 'I wish I hadn't needed to call them.'

'Will the bad people come back?'

'Not if I have anything to do about it,' said Wei Wuxian, covering his hand with his own, 'I wish...I'm sorry I didn't protect everyone better.'

'Wei Ying,' said Lan Wangji, 'None of us saw this coming.'

'But I should have done,' said Wei Ying, 'I promised to keep everyone safe.'

'It's not your fault,' said A-Yuan, 'It's the bad people's fault.'

'You are so good,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Such a good boy. I need...'

'We need to get him back to Popo,' said Lan Wangji, 'Regroup with the others. There's a lot to be done before the sun sets and we should make as much as we can of the day.'

Wei Wuxian nodded, wanting nothing more than to fold himself into Lan Wangji's arms as A-Yuan had, to let his strength and his warmth chase away all the fear that surrounded him but there were people beyond that protective circle that needed him. Though he had never once dreamed of becoming the leader of his own sect, it was a role he had been raised into over the long, strenuous months upon months since he had first fled to the sanctuary of the Burial Mounds and he knew there would be many looking to him to pull a little hope from the tragedy that surrounded them.

'Let's go,' he said, sparing one final glance to the devastated chicken coop before they returned to the village.

Though the devastation was still more than his heart felt capable to bear, there was no idleness in the villagers despite what they had suffered. Activity was everywhere, the familiar rough clothes of the Wens looking all the more shabby next to the elegant robes of the Jiang disciples, but they worked side by side as though they had always done so.

'Wei Wuxian,' called Jin Zixuan, from across one of the destroyed plots, his golden robes caked in mud at the hems, 'We need your assistance.'

'I'll take A-Yuan to Popo,' said Lan Wangji, squeezing his hand once more, 'And then I will find a place I am needed.'

'Next to me,' said Wei Wuxian, 'That's where you're needed but for today perhaps I can spare you.'

'I will be beside you again as soon as I can be,' said Lan Wangji, 'But for now, our family needs me elsewhere. Take care, my love.'

'You too,' said Wei Wuxian, pressing a kiss to A-Yuan's forehead, 'Both of you. A-Yuan, you must swear to stay with Popo for me. I need to know you are safe with her.'

'I promise, Xian-Gege,' said A-Yuan, his arms tight around Lan Wangji's neck.

'Good boy,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I will come to you later on. Be good and helpful if you can but only if Popo asks you to.'

The little boy nodded, tucking his face back into the sanctuary that was Lan Wangji's shoulder, away from the horror that still surrounded them. He wanted to wrap himself around them both, shelter them from the world but responsibility pressed upon them and he allowed himself only a brief moment to watch them walk away from him before he turned to where Jin Zixuan still waited on him.

'You found the child,' said Jin Zixuan as he reached him, 'I hope he is unharmed.'

'Physically, yes,' said Wei Wuxian, 'But he has seen things no child should have seen in his short lifetime. He was...they had killed the chickens. A-Yuan has always helped to care for the chickens.'

'I am sorry for it,' said Jin Zixuan, 'This whole attack was calculated to be swift, cruel and devastating from what I have seen. The culprits were well armed though there is little to give away their origin. I am told you have a prisoner.'

'One survived,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Wen Ning is holding him.'

'Would he be aware that I am here?' said Jin Zixuan.

Wei Wuxian shook his head, 'I do not think so.'

'Good,' said Jin Zixuan, 'I am thinking on something but it should wait for the moment. Jiang Cheng is assisting Wen-Guniang with the wounded and several disciples have been spared to help. The Wen have collected their dead and have taken their bodies to be tended but we are left with the bodies of the intruders. Given the nature of the mountain, I thought it best to consult with you before we did anything with them. I fear disturbing those already lying beneath us if we attempt to bury the bodies.'

Wei Wuxian looked over the bodies lined up in a neat row, more respect shown to their corpses than they had shown to the people they had murdered before meeting their own end.

'Burying them here will need to be done with care,' he said, 'The mountain is dangerous. I would say to send them down to Yiling but I do not want to put the weight of it upon them. I doubt anyone will come to claim them.'

'I doubt that very much too,' said Jin Zixuan, 'But I will see whatever you think best is done.'

Wei Wuxian sighed, 'There are quieter areas towards the rear of the mountain, further away from...further away,' he said, 'We would need to...'

'Just point us to where and we can help,' said Jin Zixuan.

'We would need to dig the graves ourselves.'

'Then we'll dig graves,' said Jin Zixuan, 'We gathered some tools.'

Wei Wuxian regarded the man beside him, seeing the hurt and sorrow that mixed with a determined stoicism on his face, the haughtiness of his youth replaced with a gravity he still looked too young to bear. He was sure his own face bore a similar look, the reality of the cruelty of the world they lived in etching itself into the depths of his bones.

'You don't have to do this,' he said, 'You should go back to Yiling, Shijie...'

'Is safe where she is,' said Jin Zixuan, 'Her attendants are with her and she would not forgive me if I left you to face this alone nor could I forgive myself as I am sadly more than certain that the order for this came from my own father.'

Wei Wuxian shook his head, 'You do not owe penance for his crimes.'

'Nor did these people deserve to be punished for Wen Ruohan,' said Jin Zixuan, 'This isn't penance, this is what is right. I want to help.'

His words were direct, without any hesitation, reminding Wei Wuxian a little of the determination in Lan Wangji's voice when he had tried to persuade him to reconsider his decision to travel to the Burial Mounds when he was last in Lanling.

Wei Wuxian nodded, turning his attention to the mountain beneath them and calling on the cultivation that the world found so abhorrent but that had already calmed the once raging storm of hate beneath their boots. He did not want their attackers to be buried near to the village, though removing them from the mountain entirely would be beyond their means. In the end, he found a suitable piece of ground that would never prove useful for housing or crops, boggy and uneven, a place where things could easily be forgotten.

It was a hard and harrowing task to move the bodies, injured both by mortal means and by the actions of the ghosts he had called to their aid. Some beyond even a mother's ability to identify. He wanted to hate them, wanted to blame them for every hurt and every sufferance that had come their way but he could not do so. Hired or stirred up by a web of lies, the men who attacked them could have done so out of malice but could have as easily been victims themselves, victims of the propaganda and fear that Jin Guangshan had long shrouded the mountain with, more so than the ghosts that called it home. Still, he could help it if he was a little rough as he hoisted another body onto a rickety barrow, certain even if he had been told the very air upon the mountain was filled with demons intent on destroying all he loved, he would have stayed his hand at the sight of an impoverished village that had to defend itself with axes and shovels rather than swords.

The graves were deep, dark and slick in the waterlogged ground, the work bringing some life back to his limbs despite Jin Zixuan saying his assistance was no longer needed once the place was deemed safe to add to the body count already beneath them. It was a silent conversation between them as they dug side by side, Jin Zixuan's rich robes and Wei Wuxian's threadbare ones both equally caked in mud and grime, boots soaked and clinging to the mud beneath them. Death had always been a great leveller to Wei Wuxian, long before he had come to know it so personally, a man as putrid and pale in death whether he be born a master or a servant. Now, working beside a man he once thought incapable of such care or sacrifice, he watched as Jin Zixuan instructed the disciples Jiang Cheng had given over to him to show respect and dignity to those who had fallen, unwilling to allow any allegations of cruelty or impropriety to be levelled at the Wens even towards their enemies.

'The men can cover them,' said Jin Zixuan, heaving himself from the grave as the last body was laid in it, 'Do you need to do anything because of the mountain?'

'No yet, though I will keep an eye on it,' said Wei Wuxian, 'The resentment in the mountain may incite unrest but I can counter it if needed. I doubt anyone will claim them to undertake any funeral rites. We can do what is necessary here though once the innocent dead have been properly tended.'

Jin Zixuan nodded, 'You must take care of the Wens first.'

'We have a long road ahead of us,' said Wei Wuxian, 'To rebuild...'

'I will give what aid I can,' said Jin Zixuan, 'And I am sure Zewu-Jun will assist once he is aware of the situation. We should attempt to ascertain what prompted this attack and swiftly though. The prisoner you took, are you certain he did not know of our arrival?'

'Wen Ning took him away before the barrier reacted. He will be holding him in one of the internal caves,' said Wei Wuxian, 'We prepared ourselves for a captive after the last attack. I did not want to kill and have word spread that we were murderers, not when we could hold someone and hand them over to the Zewu-Jun so everything could be seen as fair.'

'A wise choice,' said Jin Zixuan, 'Though you have many supporters, others will look for any perceived failing and blow it up into something more sinister.'

'Why do you want to know if he knows you're here?' said Wei Wuxian, falling into step beside him as they headed back towards the village.

'Because I do truly fear this attack was ordered by my father,' said Jin Zixuan, 'But I have no proof that it was. Without it, there's little we can do so I think it is time you and I did a little play acting if you're willing.'

'Play acting?' said Wei Wuxian, 'I don't follow you.'

'We're going to pretend that I've taken the village, over powered your defences,' said Jin Zixuan, 'It will be enough to place his trust in me if he was sent by my father and then I can get more information out of him.'

'Do you think he'll believe you?'

'He will if I have you tied up.'

Wei Wuxian stopped in his tracks, 'If you what?'

'I'll make it a knot you can easily slip if anything goes wrong,' said Jin Zixuan, 'You're not exactly going to be walking in next to me of your own free will if I'd truly captured you.'

'You're forgetting one rather vital point though,' said Wei Wuxian, 'And that is that he's being guarded by Wen Ning, not someone easily overpowered. You walk in with me bound and I can't guarantee your safety without making your attempt to gain information useless. We've not come this far only for him to kill you at the end of it as Meng Yao originally intended.'

Jin Zixuan paled, his swallow almost audible as he wrung his mud stained hands before him, 'I hadn't considered that,' he said, with a sigh, 'Wen Ning would naturally be protective of you and, though I hope most here know I am not a threat, my name alone would be enough to provoke a reaction if he thought you were at risk.'

'If it were anyone else, I could feasibly tell them not to start anything for their own safety but that wouldn't be believable for Wen Ning,' said Wei Wuxian, 'He could overpower ten of you with his own arms bound if he needed to.'

'I may need to borrow him when I confront my father,' said Jin Zixuan.

Wei Wuxian laughed, seeing the small smile on Jin Zixuan's face, the sound almost alien in the aftermath of the morning but he did not shy from it all the same, allowing a brief moment of joy amongst the devastation.

'I'm sure he would be willing to assist,' said Wei Wuxian, brushing a finger over the bridge of his nose in thought, 'We need to find out somehow who sent the attackers. Conjecture is useless. I know that the last assassin was sent by Jin Guangshan as much as I know these were but my word against his is as worthless are ice on a summer's day. Your plan has merit, we just need to bridge that gap so Wen Ning realises what's going on.'

Jin Zixuan was silent as they rounded the corner into what remained of the village which still buzzed with activity, survival winning out over sorrow though Wei Wuxian knew it would only last until night fell and nothing more could be done, certain the hours of darkness would be filled with the wails of anguish that were far more painful than even the screams that had first greeted him in the Burial Mounds. A handful of Jiang disciples helped where they could, rescuing what remained of use from the fire damaged houses, occasionally reuniting a handful of treasures with their owners even if they were small, simple things.

He watched as one of the younger women hurried to Si-Shu's side, the old man looking far more careworn than he had that morning but he still forced a smile to his lips as she reached him. They spoke only briefly before she returned to wherever she had come from and he went back to his work, the message clearly passed on.

'Bridge the gap,' he said as an idea came to him, 'We just need someone to bridge the gap.'

'Have you thought of something?'

Wei Wuxian nodded, 'The holding place is in the cave, away from the outside,' he said, 'They wouldn't hear if there was a fight or not, so someone could run in to Wen Ning and tell him what happened, that you've taken over the village.'

Jin Zixuan frowned, 'Wouldn't that serve to forewarn him and therefore make him more likely to defend you?'

'Not if she whispers it,' said Wei Wuxian, 'If we send one of the women we could get away with it. They're a tough, strong bunch who wouldn't shy away from anything but our guest doesn't know that. She could hurry in to Wen Ning saying you've taken the village and then whisper the truth to him. It's not fool proof but it might be enough.'

'If you think you would have someone who would be willing to do it then it is worth the try,' said Jin Zixuan, 'I do not want to put too much upon the villagers though. They have been through enough today without us asking them to play pretend.'

'Believe me, if they can do anything to prove they are being unjustly treated, they'll do it,' said Wei Wuxian, collecting up a length of rope as they passed a pile of their salvaged goods.

'I will let you handle the particulars,' said Jin Zixuan, 'But we should be quick. I don't want to lose any advantage. If I claim we were sent to follow his assault, it will not do well to arrive too long afterwards.'

Wei Wuxian nodded, 'Let's go to the hall, the wounded were taken there and others will be assisting who might be able to help us if they can be spared,' he said, 'It would also make sense to let the others know what we're planning, just in case anything goes wrong. I want Lan Zhan and Jiang Cheng in close proximity before you take me in. Lan Zhan cannot control Wen Ning as I can but they are good friends and he can calm him enough if something goes wrong.'

'Let's hope it doesn't come to that,' said Jin Zixuan as they headed towards the hall.

The room smelled of herbs and fire, the occasional cry permeating the low grumble of pain that existed around the makeshift beds surrounding Wen Qing. He recognised the blankets and lumpy straw base from his own bed, every remaining store pillaged for those most in need. The initial, hurried aftermath had slowed to a pace of tending and stitching and bandaging, those now being seen with injuries that were not life threatening. Several beds were clearly under close watch though, survivors sitting with eyes trained on their injured family members, counting pulse beats and breaths as they lay under Wen Qing's sedations and medicines.

Jiang Cheng had been given the less than pleasant task of restraining the injured as Wen Qing wrestled limbs back into their joints or applied splints to anything broken, his face ashen and pale as Wen Qing tied off a bandage around a leg that did not look as though it would recover well enough to bear weight again even with her care. With ease Jiang Cheng soon had the patient lifted and laid in one of the makeshift beds, arranging the blankets carefully over him to avoid the worst of his injuries. Where Jin Zixuan's robes bore the mud of the graves, Jiang Cheng's own were streaked with blood, one sleeve torn at the shoulder though he paid it no mind. It was another sorry sight, rich robes amongst the poor but none untainted by innocent blood.

'How is it out there?' said Jiang Cheng as he caught sight of them.

'Very few of the buildings can be saved but they are salvaging what they can,' said Jin Zixuan, 'The bodies of the intruders have been dealt with.'

'I doubt the mountain needed anyone adding to it,' said Jiang Cheng, rinsing off his hands in a bowl Wen Qing held up for him.

'Is everything safe, Wei Wuxian?' asked Wen Qing, cleaning off her own hands.

'For the time being,' he said, 'I will need to keep an eye on things for a while. The resentment here until now has been old, anything fresher might make things difficult. It would be best if everyone stays close together for a time. I can...I can protect you better then.'

'I don't think anyone will want to wander too far,' she said, squeezing the outstretched fingers of one of her patients as she passed them, Jiang Cheng following behind.

'Do you need any further help with the wounded, Wen-Guniang?' said Jin Zixuan as they reached them, 'If you need us to send of urgent help from Yiling, we can have someone sent.'

Wen Qing shook her head, 'I have been preparing for such an event since we arrived here,' she said, 'What I have done, has been done as best it can be. We would benefit from the midwife visiting but there is no imminent danger and she comes to us regularly already.'

'If you believe you need anything, please do not hesitate to ask,' said Jiang Cheng, 'Money is no object.'

'It is not money we need, Jiang-Zongzhu,' she said, though there was no bitterness to her words, 'But safety. What do we do now, Wei Wuxian?'

'We make sure everyone is accounted for, safe and warm for the night. The sun will set before we know it,' he said, 'Then I will raise the barrier as high as I can and those capable will take the watch. First though, we need to try to find out who ordered this, to gain evidence above pure suspicion. Jin-Gongzi has a plan. Has anyone gone in to Wen Ning and the prisoner?'

Wen Qing shook her head, 'We've had our hands full and he was well bound,' she said, 'A-Ning was more than capable of dealing with him.'

'Good,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Where's Lan Zhan? I want him to know what's happening as well.'

'The Blood Pool,' said Wen Qing, 'It's where they took the dead. He wanted to help prepare the bodies.'

'Then let's go to him,' said Wei Wuxian, 'If you can be spared here for a while. Jiang Cheng, I want you with us too.'

'Give me a few moments,' said Wen Qing, heading back towards the rows of wounded and speaking with several of the attendants.

'What are you planning with the prisoner?' said Jiang Cheng, 'You need to tread carefully. Though you are all blameless victims today, there are people who will turn the deaths of those who came to hurt you into something that is your fault. How you treat a prisoner even more so.'

'I am certain there are already those saying we provoked this,' said Wei Wuxian, forcing down the bitter bile that rose in his throat, 'It seems the initial attempt was for this to be a set up anyway. You said the midwife witnessed the intruders saying we had sent them.'

'You were lucky she lives further out and witnessed it,' said Jiang Cheng, 'Otherwise...'

'I do not want to think of otherwise,' said Wei Wuxian, 'What has happened is agony enough? My friends died today. There is so much pain.'

'Later,' snapped Jiang Cheng, his hand closing tight around his arm before it gentled, 'Right now, they need you strong, so you stay strong.'

Wei Wuxian covered his hand with his own, seeing all too easily the reflection of a young man forced to lead through death and devastation in his eyes. 'Keep reminding me.'

Jiang Cheng nodded as Wen Qing returned to them, the four of them making a solemn group as they passed through to the place Wei Wuxian had nicknamed the Blood Pool Cave which found itself living up to its name all the more as it played residence to their dead.

The room was silent save for the gentle rustle of cloth as those attending to the bodies moved about. He was loathed to break the sombre peace but their footsteps did so all the same, every face that turned to them pale and broken but determined in their task.

'Wei Ying,' said Lan Wangji, his voice rough but clear, falling back on the years of training to suppress the emotions Wei Wuxian knew were as tumultuous as his own, 'Is everything alright?'

Wei Wuxian nodded, wanting to reach for his hands as he came over to them, to fall into the loving embrace that had cradled him through every trial they had shared but their present company would not allow for it. 'We want to see if we can get information from the prisoner about who sent him.'

'I doubt he will talk and I would advise against any form of coercion,' said Lan Wangji, 'Any hint of intimidation would be held against you.'

'Which is why we don't intend to intimidate him,' said Jin Zixuan, 'Instead, we're going to lie to him.'

'Lie to him?' said Jiang Cheng.

'He's about to believe that I've led a secondary force to take the mountain,' said Jin Zixuan, 'If he was sent by my father than he will either be prepared for another attack, which will also give us warning to mount further defences, or he will be surprised but happy that aid has come. If he was not sent by my father, though I doubt I will find he wasn't, then he will be confused and we will know that the order didn't come directly from him at least.'

'You're taking a very great risk,' said Lan Wangji, 'If you find out that Jin Guangshan is behind this, you will have shown your hand. If the prisoner ever escapes us, you know who he will run to.'

'Then we make sure he doesn't escape,' said Wei Wuxian, 'No one we faced today had a high level of cultivation. He is easy enough to subdue. Once Zewu-Jun arrives, we can pass him into the custody of GusuLan. By then, a lot of positions may have changed depending on what is said.'

Lan Wangji frowned, 'Do you think the prisoner will believe you?' he said, 'I've no doubt even Lanling is aware that you were here yesterday and not on any official business. You brought Jin Ling into the village so clearly you did not believe it to be a threat. The man is a thug but I doubt he's an idiot, he wouldn't trust you if he has any sense.'

'Which is why I'm going to be used to convince him,' said Wei Wuxian, 'If Jin-Gongzi takes me in tied up...'

'Then Wen Ning will probably rip his head off before you've uttered a word,' said Jiang Cheng, flinching a little at the sharp look he received from Wen Qing, 'I'm not saying he's some mindless monster, far from it but, if the person who saved my life was suddenly in the power of an enemy I know I'd do all I could to free them.'

'We'll make sure Wen Ning isn't a threat?' said Wei Wuxian.

'How?' said Wen Qing, her tone a heartbeat away from forbidding the endeavour entirely, 'You said you wouldn't control him again unless you really have to.'

'We won't be controlling him but we will prewarn him,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Have someone run in and tell him we are being attacked, that I've been captured and then get close enough to him to tell him to play along.'

'It's risky,' said Wen Qing, 'But I'll do it.'

'Do what?' said Wei Wuxian.

'Warn A-Ning,' she said, 'He's going to listen to me better than anyone. Did you have anyone else in mind?'

'No one specific,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Can you be spared for long enough?'

'I doubt this will be a long conversation on my part,' said Wen Qing, 'As Jin-Gongzi said, he'll know in a few moments if the man was sent by Jin Guangshan or not.'

Wei Wuxian nodded, 'Then I'm thankful for your help,' he said, 'Jiang Cheng, Lan Zhan, I want you there but out of sight. First to be additional witnesses to whatever is said and second in case anything goes wrong.'

'Are you sure this is worth the risk?' said Lan Wangji, fingers twitching at his side as though wanting to reach for Wei Wuxian's hand.

'We've lost the luxury of caution,' he replied, 'If Jin Guangshan has ordered this attack, it flies in the face of everything that was agreed and maybe it will give us the chance to finally win our freedom.'

'Let's not get ahead of ourselves,' said Wen Qing, 'How do you want to do this?'

Wei Wuxian held up the length of rope he had retrieved from outside, stepping towards Lan Wangji, 'First someone needs to tie me up,' he said, 'And forgive the caution but I would prefer Lan Zhan to do it than anyone else.'

'And what about me?' said Wen Qing, crossing her arms over her chest.

'You'd hog tie me and serve me for supper,' said Wei Wuxian, turning his back to Lan Wangji, 'Make it something I can easily slip if I need to get out of it.'

Long fingers took hold of his, placing his hands loosely behind his back and tugging his sleeves a little more over his wrists to protect against the bite of the rope.

'Are you sure about this?' said Lan Wangji, beside his ear as he worked the rope into a knot, tight enough to be believable on sight but nothing Wei Wuxian could not easily escape.

'Better idea?' said Wei Wuxian, allowing himself a brief moment to catch his lover's fingers with his body hiding them from view.

'No,' said Lan Wangji, 'Just be careful.'

'We'll be fine,' said Wei Wuxian, turning to face him once more, hesitating on the next step but taking it anyway, 'Take Chenqing and give it to Jin-Gongzi. Keep it within reach, I'll need it if anything goes wrong.'

Lan Wangji pulled the dizi from Wei Wuxian's belt, handing it to Jin Zixuan, his fingers holding on to it a beat too long before he finally relinquished it. 'Keep it on your right, keep Wei Ying on your right as well,' he said, 'I will only be around the corner. My job is to keep everyone in this village safe.'

'I promise there is no underlying intent,' said Jin Zixuan, tucking Chenqing into his belt as directed, 'I'm on your side.'

'My caution remains,' said Lan Wangji, turning back to Wei Wuxian, 'I will be as close as I can without being seen.'

'Stop worrying,' said Wei Wuxian, 'It will be fine.'

The uneasy look didn't leave Lan Wangji's face as Wei Wuxian hated that both his bound hands and their unexpected guests meant he could do little to reach for him and reassure him as they went over the final details of their plan before heading towards the place they had designed to hold any intruders. They kept a safe distance as Wen Qing went ahead of them, her voice not unnecessarily loud as she called out that the village had been overwhelmed but hopefully distressed enough to have their prisoner believe her words.

Wei Wuxian felt the press of fingers against his as they waited several beats before following, turning to give Lan Wangji what he hoped was a reassuring look before he made his way to Jin Zixuan's side, tamping down the need to react as the ropes binding his wrists were grasped tight and he was forced towards the doorway.

The room was small and sparse, the prisoner tied up in the far corner with Wen Ning and Wen Qing to the side of it. Wen Qing made an admirable show of pulling at her brother's robes to hold him back but Wei Wuxian knew from a glance that she did not need to, Wen Ning's eyes calm but concerned as he regarded him.

'Jin-Gongzi!' cried the prisoner, 'You have taken the village.'

Jin Zixuan shoved Wei Wuxian a little more into the room, his grip on the rope keeping him from falling. 'As was intended,' he said, 'Weren't you told we were coming behind you?'

The prisoner shook his head, 'I was told there would be reinforcements waiting below the barrier if they ran.'

'The information was incorrect,' said Jin Zixuan, his voice almost bored as he spoke, 'Who told you?'

'Jin-Gongzi,' said the prisoner, 'Jin Zixun. He said Yiling could take the blame. Jin-Xiandu wanted...'

Jin Zixuan held up a hand, the slight tremble in it the only thing detracting from the confident young conqueror he was pretending to be, 'That is plenty,' he said, his voice raising as he called out, 'Hanguang-Jun, Jiang-Zongzhu, did you hear that?'

The short affirmative preceded them both as they entered the cave behind them, faces grim in the reality the few words had brought.

Jin Zixuan quickly tugged at the ropes around Wei Wuxian's wrists, the simple knot falling free and releasing him from the confines before Chenqing was placed back into his hands.

'What..? What is going on?' said the prisoner, 'Jin-Gongzi?'

'You confirmed my suspicions,' said Jin Zixuan, 'Ones I hoped would prove false but the reality is as expected. You are here on my father's command.'

The prisoner paled, 'And you're not.'

'Not in the least,' said Jin Zixuan, 'And now, you are going to tell me exactly where these forces are and you are going to write a full confession. If you do not, then Gui Jiangjun may have you.'

The confession was swiftly provided, their prisoner too much of a coward once Wen Ning had been given free rein to menace him a little from the edge of the room, Wei Wuxian assisting with no little delight as he sat and spun Chenqing idly between his fingers. Though he feigned nonchalance, his blood boiled within him as the plan to cripple them was revealed with only the fortunate presence of the midwife and the unexpected delay to Jin Zixuan's journey saving them from their intended fate.

It was an elegant plan, the main road not covered by the watchers from the other sects who instead had been deployed to cover the more obscure entrances and exits, the main road especially on a delivery day not believed to be as vulnerable as other areas. It was a mistake Jin Guangshan had made good use of. With the hopes that Yiling would blame the loss of the men who should have made the delivery on the Wens and that the mountain would become cut off from all outside help, assassins were poised to capture and murder them when they were forced to retreat from their sanctuary. Wei Wuxian had already heard whispers amongst the grieving villagers about wanting to leave, their lives too precarious in the Burial Mounds and wanting to try their luck on the road. He was only glad that they had learned what a risk it would be before it was too late.

Jin Zixuan was silent and stoic but pale as the prisoner confessed all and then signed the document produced from his words. The pain in Wei Wuxian was fierce but he could only imagine the agony his strange new ally was experiencing, his own father and cousin plotting and executing the murders of unarmed men and women who had been given protection until a supposedly just and fair decision on their fate had been made. His only hope was that the confession, witness by both Jiang Cheng and Lan Wangji, would be enough to secure Jin Guangshan's downfall and allow Jin Jixuan to usher in a fairer leadership within the Jin Sect.

With the confession signed and the prisoner secured once more, placed under guardianship of two Jiang disciples to avoid any claims he had been mistreated by those residing in the Burial Mounds, they returned to the hall where the wounded were tended and those who had come through unscathed had gathered to sift through what was left of their lives. He saw the faint sway in Jin Zixuan's steps, catching hold of his arm to prevent him toppling.

'You're alright,' he said quickly, 'Stay on your feet a few moments more until we get somewhere quiet. Lan Zhan, our rooms.'

He was glad that Lan Wangji had either seen the risk himself or heard enough in his tone not to question, instead guiding Jiang Cheng to follow as Wen Qing and Wen Ning stepped away to attend to their family.

By the time they reached the sparse chambers he and Lan Wangji shared, Wei Wuxian was certain he was all that was keeping Jin Zixuan on his feet. Dried mud flaked from the hems of his once pristine golden robes as Wei Wuxian eased him down onto a nearby stool, keeping his hands on his shoulders to prevent him from toppling further. A single, determined tear tumbled down Jin Zixuan's cheek before he brushed it away, leaving a smear of dirt across his cheekbone as he did so.

'I knew,' he said brokenly, 'I knew and yet to hear it... I am so sorry, so sorry. Can you ever forgive me?'

'Forgive you?' said Wei Wuxian, crouching down to catch his gaze, 'You did not cause this.'

'I'm his son and for so long I stood by and did nothing,' said Jin Zixuan, 'He's a murderer. A cold blooded murderer and I have let him get away with it for too long.'

'Jin Zixuan,' said Wei Wuxian, the gentleness of his tone all too alien when spoken to the man before him, 'You are not your father. If we have sought to prove anything here it is that you cannot judge people by a name or the actions of their relations. No one here will judge you for Jin Guangshan's actions even if you were not risking such great personal cost to help them.'

Jin Zixuan shook his head, 'The cost to me doesn't matter,' he said, 'I just wish...he has never been a kind man and he has always been ambitious but this. He knew there were women here and a child, people who were never cultivators. Zewu-Jun spoke often of how the people here were so far removed from the Wen we once feared, he told everyone how the Burial Mounds housed farmers not soldiers. Whatever anyone could argue about you or Wen Ning, everyone else was seen as innocent or at least that is what I believed. Now, I can see the hollowness in so much. He meant to flush you all out, capture and kill all he could and then I'm sure...the Yin Hu Fu has been his coveted prize for so long but if he had it I dread to think what he would do. Would he force us to raise A-Ling to be as cruel and ambitious as Wen Xu and Wen Chao once were?'

'That would never happen,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Because his parents are both good people. With you and Shijie to raise him, he will always be a good and kind child.'

'Wei Wuxian is right,' said Jiang Cheng, 'Jin-Xiandu may want one legacy but, even if he had succeeded today, you would have countered him in the end.'

'I'm just glad we were delayed,' said Jin Zixuan, 'Sometimes I think A-Li can tell when bad things are coming, she was so restless all night. If we'd started on our journey when we had intended things would have been so different.'

'But now we have what we need to bring Jin Guangshan to account,' said Lan Wangji, 'Though I would suggest we do nothing until Xiongzhang arrives and can be a truly impartial witness. Even with the words written, Jiang Wanyin and I are connected to Wei Ying in a way that could discredit our word even if it is honestly given.'

'You were sent here to be an impartial witness,' said Jiang Cheng, 'Your reports are spoken by Zewu-Jun whenever things are discussed.'

'And as soon as it is convenient for me to be so I will be the Yiling Laozu's great friend and confidante. I will have been worked upon in these months I have lived here, manipulated no doubt by the Yin Hu Fu and Wei Ying's cultivation. My word will be worth nothing if they choose for it to be so. We should wait for Zewu-Jun.'

'Hopefully it will only be a few days wait,' said Jin Zixuan, 'You're weakened here, even if Yiling can send a little aid. We'll stay of course, protect you as best we can.'

'Any help would be appreciated,' said Wei Wuxian, shivering as the warning talismans he had placed lower down the mountain activated, 'Someone is on their way up to us. Jiang Cheng, if it comes to a fight, if I'm forced to use the means I have to defend us, there is nothing for those on our side to fear. I won't let anything harm you even if it is frightening.'

'Let's hope it's help rather than another aggressor,' said Jiang Cheng, 'We sent word to Yiling.'

'Whoever it is, we'd best greet them and let them know we're not going anywhere without a fight. Lan Zhan, go and warn the others. Anyone who can fight, get them ready. Keep them safe for me. If we're overwhelmed, you'll be their defence.'

'Be careful,' said Lan Wangji, 'I will send Wen Ning out to you, he will be more use at your side.'

Wei Wuxian nodded, wishing he could keep Lan Wangji beside him as well but knowing he would be better place to guard their family in the hall. He was glad that Jin Zixuan had recovered himself enough as they left the barren space of their rooms, Lan Wangji leaving them to hurry to the Wens whilst Jiang Cheng sent out a signal to summon his own disciples from their tasks.

As Wen Ning hurried to join them, they headed towards the barrier below. The sight of the gate still standing but with the ground beneath stained with blood made Wei Wuxian's guts twist, certain he would have lost the meagre contents of his stomach were it not for the more pressing issue of the sound of many people moving through the trees towards them. He forced his thoughts away from how many they could be facing, uncertain how well even his long dead allies beneath their feet could hold off an army intent on their demise.

He cursed that he had not had the time to hold A-Yuan close one last time, that their protectors in Jiang Cheng and Jin Zixuan had forced him to keep his love for Lan Wangji a secret, depriving them both of the comfort they sorely needed after the trials of the day. He wanted nothing more than to run from the gate, to return to the cave and seal the ancient doors against those who would harm them. To hold those he loved close before the inevitability of their situation finally overcame them.

'Stay focused, they'll be alright,' said Jiang Cheng at his side, 'Whoever this is won't get far enough to hurt them.'

'I don't think the intention is to harm,' said Jin Zixuan as the crowd finally rounded the bend, 'It's A-Li with Mianmian.'

Wei Wuxian hastily returned Chenqing to his belt as his eyes fell upon Jiang Yanli and Mianmian as they headed the group bearing barrows and sacks of provisions. The single Jiang disciple who had been sent the with message kept a watchful eye with Jiang Yanli's attendants, still dressed in the colours of the Jiang sect but Jiang Yanli had put aside her rich, golden clothes in favour of far simpler ones ideal for work. With Jin Ling in her arms and the towns people behind, she looked liked many of the other mothers in Yiling who worked and raised their children side by side.

He lowered the barrier with a wave of his hand as they reached them, stepping through to greet her and Mianmian, grateful for another familiar face after her absence from them, but he stopped as both bowed low to him.

'Wei-Zongzhu...'

'Shijie!' cried Wei Wuxian, 'You don't call me that and you definitely don't bow to me.'

'Wei-Zongzhu,' she said again, her tone so familiar from his youth, gentle but preventing any further argument, 'The people of Yiling have asked me to speak on their behalf. They wish for me to assure you that they know the earlier attack on the men delivering the goods to the mountain was not ordered by you and that they share in the sorrows this attack has brought to you. They want me to say that the mountain has always been good to them with both Luo-Guniang and Hanguang-Jun having helped many without any request for recompense. They would humbly therefore ask permission to enter and to assist where they can to help you rebuild and refortify your village. They want to pledge their help to the YilingWei Sect.'

It was only Jiang Cheng's solid hand on his back that kept him grounded, certain he would wake to a hand on his brow and one of Wen Qing's vile concoctions being forced down his throat but it never came, instead he watched the sadness and determination on the face of the woman before him which mirrored Mianmian's almost entirely. He was sure the two of them alone would be enough to counter any force that tried to oppose them or threaten those they were seeking to protect.

Regaining himself enough to speak, he bowed in return, 'Then we are grateful to the people of Yiling for their help and welcome anyone who comes onto the mountain in peace.'

As he stepped back to allow them to pass through the gate, he forced away the thought that it had only been a handful of hours since those intent on their demise had passed the same way but the gate had remained standing, as YilingWei would remain standing.

He looked up at the words above their heads, the rules he hoped would stay there for many years to come. It was sanctuary though that stood out the most in that moment. Though they had been hurt, they were a sanctuary all the same and the mountain would once more protect them as would the people who had always lived below.

Chapter 25: Nothing

Chapter Text

Lan Wangji had grown used to the quiet of the nights in the Burial Mounds. Not the silence of the Cloud Recesses but a quiet that meant Wei Ying's even breathing and snuffling snores beside him, A-Yuan's fidgeting beneath the blankets whenever he sneaked into the bed between them, the noises of the village beyond their cave accompanied by the heavy tread of Wen Ning's boots as he patrolled night after night.

The makeshift camp they had all made in what had, that morning, simply been their main gathering hall was far too noisy even as most of the people in it slept. The sound of so many people breathing in one place was alien, the whimpers from the wounded uneven and the shouts from those woken from nightmares startling. Some wept softly whilst others could not bury their sobs in their blankets, low voices offering comfort adding to the buzz of noise. The swish of material followed those who paced from worry, unable to rest, or from Jin Ling's nursemaids who had to march to and fro with the baby who fussed at the strangeness of his new surroundings.

He had expected Jin Zixuan, Jiang Yanli and Jiang Cheng to return to Yiling for the night once the village in the Burial Mounds had been settled enough to see them through until morning but Jin Zixuan had asked only for a quiet corner and had set up their own small camp. He did not think he could be any more surprised by the Jin heir than he had been the day before when he had spoken treason and revolution at their simple table but the work that he had undertaken throughout the day, with no task to menial or beneath him, had brought forth a fondness in Lan Wangji that had previously been absent and he hoped that, if there was any future for them, that he would be able to call Jin Zixuan a friend in it. Jiang Cheng had been similarly humble and helpful, he and his disciples helping the carpenters who had come from Yiling in clearing the destroyed homes and planning how to rebuild them with the resources they had available.

Jiang Yanli had been their salvation after a long day of labour, organising those who were capable of assisting her and the provisions they had brought until the trials of the day were ended with hot, nourishing food beyond anything they had enjoyed even on the best delivery days. He was sure though, despite the efforts and the expense that had not been spared, that for many it had tasted like little more than ash in their grief.

He knew it would be a long time before the hall rang with laughter again even if every meal was made with such care and the fire as well tended and warm as it was that night. The wounds of the village ran deep, wounds that would bleed fresh for many moons and leave a scar when they finally healed. Lan Wangji's own heart felt bruised, his skin pulled too tight and his bones feeling sharp beneath the meat of him, hollowed out and raw from the waste and the agony that surrounded him.

He tightened his arms around A-Yuan, the child finally sleeping after hours of tears. Wen-Popo slept the other side of the boy, her thin mattress made a little more comfortable by the few blankets Lan Wangji had given up to her in favour of making his own bed out of the bare stone of the floor. He knew it would only be a day or so of sacrifice, more provisions promised by the generous people of Yiling, but he knew he could be sleeping on the comfiest of beds and still feel restless without Wei Wuxian beside him.

He knew that his lover would not allow himself to sleep that night, too concerned with keeping watch over the village from threats both inside and out, the mountain restless beneath them with the amount of blood that had been spilt on it, even though they had done their best to calm the newest spirits as best they could. Lan Wangji had wanted to join him but both Wen Ning and Mianmian had claimed their places on the watch before him, the latter having pledged herself unfailingly to the village as soon as she realised the extent of what had happened in her absence. He knew as well that, after two nights with little sleep, his body was in need of rest but sleep had remained elusive no matter what he had tried.

A-Yuan snuffled in his sleep, rolling from Lan Wangji's arms and pressing himself against Wen-Popo before settling back to sleep. His arms ached a little with the loss of the beloved warm body that had been a welcome dose of normality when everything else had been thrown into chaos but he took the opportunity it offered to rise from the chilled stone of the floor, catching up Bichen from where it lay beside him as he made his way through the rows of beds to the large doors that stood ajar just enough for a person to pass through. The courtyard beyond was empty but well lit, the price of lanterns forgotten in favour of making sure there were as few shadows as possible.

He heard the low murmur of voices, following them to where a fire built burned brightly, giving off a comforting warmth where Wen Ning and Mianmian sat beside it. The third of their watch though was nowhere in sight and Lan Wangji forced back the cold finger of fear that tripped slowly up his back.

'He's by the gate,' said Mianmian by way of a greeting as she raised her head, 'He said he wanted to be alone for a while. He has a warning talisman.'

'I think he would be happy if you were to go to him though,' said Wen Ning, 'And I think he could do with the company.'

Lan Wangji nodded, hearing the note of concern in both their voices even if they did not speak it directly. He knew the coming days would not be easy for Wei Wuxian, the sorrow of the lives lost and the more pressing threat of another attack not mixing well with the fatigue the use of his cultivation with such sudden ferocity had placed upon his body. Though he wielded his skills well, it was not something he had been regularly practising and Lan Wangji feared much as it may have protected his character, it had allowed him to be more easily hurt by its execution.

When he had first sought to follow him to the Burial Mounds, he had hoped to bring him back to the orthodox path, not understanding how impossible that hope was. When he had finally learned the truth about Wei Wuxian's sacrificed core, he had hoped to find a way to help him manage his new cultivation to a point where he could help him rid himself of it but he had seen how necessary it was for their survival, certain there would be far more bodies in the Blood Pool Cave than there already were if Wei Wuxian had not been able to call out the ghosts of the mountain to assist them.

Several torches lit his way down towards the gate, the shadows in the trees feeling deeper where the light didn't reach but they brought a strange sense of comfort. The darker side of the mountain their ally rather than their enemy even if was a strange thought. Wei Wuxian had tucked himself into the shadows beneath the gate, sat with his back propped against the wooden pillar with Chenqing resting in his hand against his knee. The torchlight only just reached his eyes as he raised his head at Lan Wangji's approach but it caught the glitter of the tear tracks on his cheeks.

'You promised me you would try to sleep,' said Wei Wuxian but there was no accusation in his tone.

'I did try,' said Lan Wangji, 'But it eluded me. You promised me you would not bear this grief alone.'

'Point taken,' said Wei Wuxian, nodding to the space beside him, 'How is everyone?'

'Restless,' said Lan Wangji, closing the short distance and settling beside him, 'No one is sleeping peacefully and I doubt they will for a long while. We are at least in a better position than we could be.'

Wei Wuxian's head dropped onto his shoulder with a sigh, reaching down to lace their fingers together.

'I'm so grateful for the help we have received,' he said, 'That Yiling is able and willing to come to our aid despite what it may cost them. I just hope it is not a price they will have to pay. So many people...'

'Are here because they know it is the right thing to do,' said Lan Wangji, 'No one on this mountain tonight who was not here when we woke this morning is ignorant of the message they are giving to the world. As Mianmian said, it is time people took a stand for what's right.'

'What's right might not be what is popular,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I'm afraid for them. I'm afraid for us.'

Lan Wangji sighed, pressing a kiss to his hair, 'I won't say we will be fine,' he said, 'I have seen the worst of what I once thought was the only way to live in the world and I know how easily this whole situation can be skewed against us but we cannot give in to despair. We may still have a future.'

'I hurt too much to think about any future right now,' said Wei Wuxian, curling a little closer to him, 'They trusted me to protect them, Lan Zhan, and I failed them. My friends are dead because I didn't do enough to keep them safe.'

'My love, you did all you could and this should never have happened. Using a promised and necessary food delivery as a cover, killing innocent people in order to reach us here, these were not actions that could have been planned for,' said Lan Wangji, 'These were actions of a man out of his mind and we can only hope that the rest of the world now sees and acknowledges it.'

'They should have acknowledged that this kind of treatment of anyone is abhorrent long before innocent lives were lost,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I just...I want to fight them all. I want to force them to sit beside the people doing what they can for their loved ones souls with the simplest of offerings and make them list how any of this was right. The fact that the first child born into this village, if it lasts long enough, will be born without a father. They are making orphans and widows all because of a name.'

Lan Wangji knew words would mean little even if he could find any to offer comfort, his own pain and anger simmering dangerously beneath his composure. Wei Wuxian's shoulder trembled beneath his hand, his breath stuttering against an aborted sob as he tried to suppress his tears. He realised, in all the confusion and work that followed the attack, that Wei Wuxian had only shed a few tears, his grief bottled up and held at bay as he took on all the responsibility and guilt that pressed upon him.

'It's only me here,' he said gently, 'You can cry, my love.'

The words and the soft squeeze to his shoulder was all it took to open the floodgates, Lan Wangji guiding him onto his lap and cradling as he did A-Yuan as the grief poured out of him. Though the attack was the freshest wound Wei Wuxian bore, Lan Wangji knew it was years not hours of grief that soaked his shoulder in tears and broke his heart. He knew it would forever ache for what his heart's mate had suffered in his life. He rode the storm with him, rocking him and soothing him with nonsense words of comfort that he hoped offered the grounding of his voice if nothing else.

'I cannot be what they need me to be,' said Wei Wuxian, his voice rough and raw when the tears finally subsided, 'They need me to lead them and I...how can I ask for their trust again after this.'

'The same way YunmengJiang trusted Jiang Wanyin, the way QingheNie trusted Chifeng-Zun, the way GusuLan never once turned from Xiongzhang. They knew that there are some forces that no one can overcome and that they could not expect them to,' said Lan Wangji, 'Our people, our family here, know you did all you could.'

'But did I?' said Wei Wuxian, 'The one place we always allowed ourselves to be vulnerable once they stopped interfering, once we found there was no need for guards. We just open the gates when all other times we question and guard. I should have seen it for the weakness it was and done something.'

'No man learns all he must learn in one day,' said Lan Wangji, 'And those deliveries should have been untouched. They were promised by GusuLan and they were agreed by all the sects. By rights we should never have had to consider them a threat.'

'I should have known...'

'Then you will know for next time, you will think and build upon what you have learned as every sect leader for generations has done. Do you think the first of my name thought to conceal a chamber in the back hill that we could flee to? Though I don't know why it came to be, it is due to some threat or some suffered tragedy I'm sure.'

'But that was years ago, you've had time to prepare,' said Wei Wuxian.

'And yet we still fell when Wen Xu attacked us,' said Lan Wangji, 'My friends and family died that day because we had not prepared enough. A centuries old sect, high on a mountain with years of experience and rules and training. We still fell...we still...'

'Lan Zhan,' said Wei Wuxian, sitting up and taking his face in his hands, 'I'm sorry. I'm sorry for making you remember that. Forgive me.'

Lan Wangji shook his head, the ache in him deep and profound but dulled a little by time, 'They deserve to be remembered even if it hurts,' he said, 'And it makes my point all the stronger. GusuLan failed. Our leadership failed but it was not through malice, not through lack of love and respect for those we cared for. We were ignorant, disbelieving that anyone who subscribed to the way we move through the world would ever turn against its principles so entirely. We have learned from our experience, rebuilt better and stronger for it and those of our name, those who follow us, the common people who live under our protection, they have all learned that whilst we are fallible, we are unfailing. We will always stand again, however may times the world knocks us down. This is the first blow of many. If YilingWei becomes the sect it should be then there will be threats and failures and we and the people who come after us may not always win but we will get back up, remember what we are and stand once more. This gate stayed standing for a reason.'

Wei Wuxian leaned forward, resting their foreheads together, 'They should have taken you for their leader,' he said, 'You're far better at this.'

'Until Xiongzhang has children, I am his heir, I've been brought up for this,' said Lan Wangji, 'But I don't have the heart for it, you do. You were the one brave enough to sacrifice so much of yourself so YunmengJiang could stand once more, you survived here in conditions I can only imagine, saved the world that repaid you with slight and slander. Only you were brave enough to see the injustice of the world and counter it, knowing that it would close all the doorways once opened to you. At every turn your sacrifice, your struggle, your determination for these people has shone through, even when the chance to return to the life you know has been offered to you. I believe, even with your core, you would have refused to abandon them. A true leader is not always right, not always successful. A true leader is one who sees the lowest of those he stands with and does all he can to raise them up. Wei- Zongzhu is a title already well earned and one I think will be remembered for the good for a long time to come. If I can spend my life beside such a sect leader and in service of a sect such as the one I know we could build here, I know it will be one well lived.'

'I couldn't have done half of what I have without you next to me,' said Wei Wuxian.

Lan Wangji brought up a hand to rest against his cheek, thumb brushing over the curve of his cheekbone, 'Then imagine what else you can do because I am here and I am staying,' he said, 'We are in pain now, we will be in pain for a long time but we will heal. This village will heal and we will prosper. Things may be uncertain but I am confident in us and I am confident in our friends. The world will recognise today as the day the world saw who was the true villain of this whole sorry affair.'

Wei Wuxian smiled weakly, moving so his face was pressed against the warm skin of Lan Wangji's neck once more, 'I'm so afraid.'

'Good. If you were not afraid, it would mean you didn't care.'

'What do I do now?' said Wei Wuxian, 'I don't know what to do next.'

'Right now, rest. Tomorrow, spend time with the people who love you and begin to make plans to rebuild and resow what we can. Decisions of a wider field can wait until Xiongzhang arrives.'

'Do you think he will finally take our side fully?' said Wei Wuxian, flinching a little at his own words, 'Don't think me ungrateful. Without his aid we would have been dead from starvation or worse long since but every time...every time he has come...'

'I know he has never given you all the support you have sought,' said Lan Wangji with a sigh, 'He wants peace, wants Gusu safe and he is young, still very much untried. That does not mean he is right but I can see why he has tried to remain neutral whilst doing what he can for good. Now, when he sees what has been done here, by those he relied upon to be as good and righteous as he tries to be, he will come to your side or he is not the man I know him to be.'

Wei Wuxian was silent, fingers moving gently through Lan Wangji's hair before catching hold of the ribbon that nestled amongst it.

'I know the future is yet veiled and today has been hard,' said Lan Wangji, 'But we cannot give up hope. Not yet. We knew not everyone would make the journey to its end, though more should have done, but we can still make something from this.'

'Can you lend me your hope again, please?' said Wei Wuxian, 'If I am to make anything of this, I will need to know I have you beside me even when...even when I can't even do what I can now.'

Lan Wangji frowned, trying to move so he could once more see Wei Wuxian's face but the man in his arms was stubborn and kept himself firmly pressed against him. 'Wei Ying?'

'Yin Hu Fu' said Wei Wuxian, 'It's always going to be the thing stopping us from being fully free. If we can finally find our way out of here, sooner or later I will have to destroy it and then I will truly be nothing. I don't think Lan-Xiansheng will find anything to help, he would have done so by now if it existed. Wei-Zongzhu they can call me but I will be nothing.'

'Never nothing,' said Lan Wangji, 'Core or no core. Yin Hu Fu or not. You will never be nothing. They are not what gives you your tenacity, your compassion, your humour, your joy, your stubbornness. Losing your core did not make you less. If you really come to a point where you feel the Yin Hu Fu must be destroyed then that would not make you less. You will never be nothing, not to the people who matter. You will never be nothing to me and I lament that I wasted so much time not telling you that you are the most important person in my life. You will never be nothing, Wei Ying, and I cannot wait for the day when I can call you mine in front of the rest of the world. I cannot wait until the day we marry and I can call you husband.'

'Husband,' said Wei Wuxian, lifting his head, eyes bright with tears but a little of the sadness was absent, 'That day will be the happiest of my life.'

'Then as soon as it is safe and suitable, we will make it happen,' said Lan Wangji, 'It stands as only a formality anyway. I am yours, committed forever. I have been since before I even set foot here the first time.'

'My Lan Zhan.' said Wei Wuxian, 'I may not have always had the best luck but I did the day I met you. Thank you for coming to find me. I didn't realise how much I needed to talk.'

'First and foremost, I am your friend and always on hand if you need to talk,' said Lan Wangji, rubbing a hand over his arms, 'You're getting cold, we should find somewhere warm. You should rest.'

'I can't sleep.'

'Then at least come and sit by the fire,' said Lan Wangji, 'Wen Ning and Mianmian had one going and it might help you feel better.'

'I don't know that I want to be all that talkative with others right now,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I don't want them worrying either.'

'They were already worried but didn't want to disturb you,' said Lan Wangji, 'Even if you don't want to talk, being with people will be better. If you don't find it helps after a while then we can go elsewhere.'

Wei Wuxian sighed before he nodded, 'Alright but I can't promise that I'll be much company.'

'Company enough for me,' said Lan Wangji, kissing him quickly before guiding them both to their feet.

He was glad for the shadows they were afforded even with the torches lit, walking hand in hand for most of the way back to the village with little fear of discovery though Lan Wangji was unsure if he would be all that bothered if they were discovered. More than ready to defy the world in Wei Wuxian's favour but knowing their secrecy was needed for a little longer just to keep others safe. As they reached the break in the trees that opened onto the village, he reluctantly let go but they walked as close as they could, Wei Wuxian's knuckles brushing deliberately against his, the connection enough even if it could be easily passed as an accident.

They slowed a little as low voices and the crackle of the fire reached them, two additional having joined the group since Lan Wangji had left them. Though Wen Qing would be a welcome, calming presence, Jiang Cheng's voice was a little more jarring even though he spoke as gently as the others, a reminder of so much that had led to Wei Wuxian's place in the world.

'I didn't realise there would be others,' he said before they came into view, 'We can go elsewhere.'

'It's fine,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I can't avoid everyone forever.'

Lan Wangji nodded, the pair of them soon reaching the small fire and the group of people surrounding it. Jiang Cheng was the first to raise his head at their approach, his face falling quickly into a scowl as he saw them.

'You're upset,' he said, 'What's happened?'

Wei Wuxian waved him down, his smile bright even if it didn't quite reach his eyes. 'I'm fine,' he said, 'Don't get over excited. I just remembered that you're here and I was overcome.'

'Yiling Laozu or not, I can still hurt you, you know,' said Jiang Cheng as Wei Wuxian took a seat beside him, feigning pain at the weak punch that was aimed at his upper arm before he pulled Lan Wangji down to sit beside him.

'Shouldn't you be asleep like the rest of the good children?'

'Shouldn't you?' countered Jiang Cheng, 'I gave up what passed as a mattress to one of the older ones. I've slept on enough stone in my lifetime though so I thought I'd be better off out here.'

'I wouldn't begrudge anyone who can from staying at an inn in Yiling rather than here,' said Wei Wuxian, 'You have already helped us so much, you shouldn't suffer for it.'

'I'm sure Lan Wangji would say such deprivations build character,' said Jiang Cheng, before his expression softened, 'Besides, before Zewu-Jun arrives, I want to make sure everyone is safe. Even by sword the damage clearly can be done before we can even be at the foot of the mountain.'

Though Lan Wangji had never truly warmed to Wei Wuxian's hot headed shidi, he could hear the affection and the worry in his words. He knew the scenes of burning homes and bodies littering the ground had no doubt brought back memories of the massacre Lotus Pier had suffered, Lan Wangji finding many images of the Cloud Recesses as it burned behind his eyelids whenever he had tried to sleep. It was a strange beginning to a friendship but Lan Wangji hoped, when all was finally put to rights, that they could find some common ground to walk upon.

'I assure you, Jiang-Zongzhu,' he said, 'That YunmengJiang's character has very much been proved to its finest this last day so anyone who does not wish to sleep upon a stone floor could be forgiven for it.'

Jiang Cheng nodded, looking a little like the stubborn, slightly awkward young man who had first come to the Cloud Recesses, unsure of how to respond to those around him. 'Let's hope more characters are proven for the good,' he said, 'We did not go through all we went through during Sunshot to find ourselves in a world worse than the one Wen Ruohan had planned for us.'

'Believe me, Jin Guangshan is a villain but what Wen Ruohan would have been capable of does not bear thinking about,' said Wen Qing, 'I have seen enough horrors for a lifetime but I am grateful for what I did not see. I did not hone my skills from books alone.'

'I am sorry to have brought back any bad memories, Wen-Guniang,' said Jiang Cheng, 'Having known briefly the hospitality of Wen Chao, I can only imagine what you must have lived through.'

'At least I may trust that there are some in this world who are hoping to prevent history from repeating itself.'

Lan Wangji watched the tension growing on Wei Wuxian's face, the talk far more serious than he was sure he needed. He was a heartbeat from suggesting he go and try to rest when another voice carried to them from the doorway to the main hall.

'I thought those used to farming rose with the sun rather than the moon,' said Jin Zixuan, holding Jiang Yanli's hand to better help her down the steps towards them.

'Well Wen Ning and I were meant to be on the watch,' said Mianmian, 'The rest of them came along like moths when they saw the fire.'

'May we join you then?' said Jiang Yanli, 'I've not been able to sleep properly but A-Ling has finally settled with his nurse so I didn't want to disturb him.'

The pair soon joined the group, more wood added to the fire to ensure everyone was warm, the night still and clear around them.

'You should stay back in Yiling tomorrow, Shijie,' said Wei Wuxian, 'It won't do you any good if you don't get any proper rest.'

'I'll be fine,' she replied, 'It's just been a trying day and I'm sure I will feel more settled tomorrow. We've already decided not to leave until we're sure you're going to be fine on your own. I feel safer here than outside anyway. I'm sure, when the rebuilding starts, things will be more comfortable for everyone.'

'I never thought I'd hear the Burial Mounds be referred to as a preferred destination to anywhere,' said Wen Qing, 'It's not exactly homely, even before today happened.'

'But it is a home,' said Jiang Yanli, 'It feels loved.'

Lan Wangji looked over at what remained of the houses they had built, ramshackle and poorly planned but homes all the same. Despite the deprivation, the cold and the uncertainty, the Burial Mounds and the people in it had been a home for so long and he knew it would be a wrench if there came a day they had to leave it.

'Despite everything, it has been good to us in a way,' said Wen Qing, giving voice to his thoughts, 'I never thought such a place could feel like home but it is. It will take a long time for it to feel like it did before though. If we have that long.'

'We have forces enough to repel any moderate attempts,' said Jiang Cheng.

'And anything bigger would attract attention if it had to travel from Lanling,' said Mianmian, 'Jin Guangshan wouldn't have had that many forces nearby. He doesn't want to be seen to be the aggressor.'

'I imagine he thought we would kill all who were part of the attack so that there would be no witnesses,' said Wei Wuxian, 'And he didn't anticipate so many of our allies in Yiling being on hand.'

'It was certainly an attack designed to injure you and provoke you at the same time,' said Jiang Cheng, picking at the dusty ground with a dry twig, 'Have you thought about your next move?'

Wei Wuxian sighed and shook his head, 'Not completely,' he said, 'We can't move away because we know he has people waiting to pick us off. Similarly we do not have the forces to fight unless I use the Yin Hu Fu and that's probably what he wants. Let the world see how the dreaded Yiling Laozu destroys the great and the good of the cultivation world. There's nothing we can do until Zewu-Jun arrives and we can maybe find a political answer.'

'Perhaps nothing is the answer,' said Jin Zixuan, 'Just do nothing, even when Zewu-Jun comes.'

Wei Wuxian frowned, 'And rot here reliant on food deliveries that turn into ambushes,' he said, 'We survived like this but this isn't something that is sustainable in the long term. People need to eat.'

'And hopefully it won't be long term,' said Jin Zixuan, 'But think about it. We know my father is behind this and we know his intention was to flush you out and pick you off. He probably wanted to provoke you into a fight as well as I doubt he thought any of the people he sent could kill you outright. He's trying to manufacture a reaction or a reason to call foul on your behaviour.'

'Just like the assassin who came for Lan Wangji,' said Wen Ning, 'He wanted to attack him because then people would blame Wei-Gongzi for his death.'

Jin Zixuan nodded, 'If that had worked, then he could start a war for that alone. No sect would stand against Jin-Xiandu avenging the death of Hanguang-Jun when he had been sent to keep the peace.'

'Xiongzhang would not have allowed it,' said Lan Wangji, as Wei Wuxian tensed beside him at the memory, 'He would know that Wei Ying is innocent.'

'And that would have fallen on deaf ears,' said Mianmian, 'Perhaps GusuLan would have protested your innocence but if Jin Guangshan whipped enough of the smaller sects it would have been enough.'

'And he'll try and do the same now if you react,' said Jin Zixuan, 'You've been insulted and innocent people killed, you should be entitled to your revenge but he will use any retaliation, even political retaliation against you. He will find a way to twist it. If you run, he'll cut you down. If you fight back, he'll call you the aggressor. If you march on Lanling armed with the evidence of what he's done, you're on his land and in his power. All the onus will be on you to prove this attack came on his absolute and direct order.'

'The Yiling Laozu's word against Jin-Xiandu,' said Wei Wuxian bitterly, 'What then? What does doing nothing mean other than us starving to death?'

'Doing nothing means you will wrong foot him entirely,' said Jin Zixuan, 'He wants a fight. He wants you to come out, with the power you have a fight him. He wants to turn on you in front of everyone and twist things until they believe him. If you wait him out though, keep to the rules, rebuild, keep living as you have been, he will need to make another move to get a reaction.'

Wei Wuxian snorted, 'Your answer is to wait until he comes to kill us again?' he said, 'Do we just sit here until he's picked us clean?'

Jin Zixuan shook his head, 'Not just you,' he said, 'We'll stay too. Me, A-Li, Jin Ling, Jiang Cheng...'

'Since when was I consulted about it?' snapped Jiang Cheng.

'A-Cheng, it will work,' said Jiang Yanli, 'If A-Xian stays here, does what he should do, then Jin Guangshan will be forced to show his hand. We're sure of it. Draw him to a place where the world knows this village was attacked and who is the suspected culprit. Let the gossip run riot and he will have to address it. We can force him to do so on more neutral ground than Lanling and with proof that A-Xian and the Wens will not respond to provocation with violence.'

'It seems decisions were made without me knowing already,' said Wei Wuxian.

'It was pretty much her idea,' said Jin Zixuan.

Lan Wangji saw the pride in Jin Zixuan's eyes as he looked at his wife, her own gaze mimicking the quick and ruthless sharpness he remembered from the view times he had met Yu Ziyuan. Though the idea was a strange one, it was also brilliant in its strangeness, playing to the strengths of quietness and patience that life in the Burial Mounds had instilled in them all.

'It could work,' he said, 'If we do not react, it will confuse Jin Guangshan. He has painted the Wens and you as dangerous and violent. To behave completely to the contrary might not give us the advantage but it certainly will reduce his. The people here do not need another fight just yet, they need homes and food and medicine. We are defended so let us focus on their welfare instead.'

Uncertain grey eyes met his, searching for reassurance and answers without words. The decision made beside a fire built from the remnants of their former homes, would be one of his most important as the fledgling sect leader he was trying to become. His actions would be judged by history, the hand holding the pen the person who came out of the mess of the situation they were all in as the victor. He would follow Wei Wuxian whatever decision he made, the safety of their family paramount above all else.

'Good little chickens,' he said with a small smile, 'Quiet. Patient.'

Wei Wuxian nodded, tears brightening his eyes. 'Nothing then,' he said, 'For the time being, let's do nothing. Jin Guangshan can make the next move.'

Chapter 26: Secrets

Notes:

I can't believe my baby has hit 50k. Thank you all so much for your love and support for this little fic of mine x

Chapter Text

With a grunt and a sudden thump, the two channels of hollowed out and treated wood slipped together before Wei Wuxian lowered them into the babbling stream, fresh cool water soon flowing down it to the village below. So high up, the water supply was fresh and untainted, far healthier for the villagers and the crops they were once again planting out despite the lateness of the season. He had been proud of the irrigation system he had been able to build with their meagre resources but with access to funds from both Jiang Cheng and Jin Zixuan and the materials they bought, he knew he could build something that could withstand even the harshest of climates.

In the days that had passed since the attack, work had been the greatest distraction, his mind focused on planning and rebuilding with the help of his extended family, the Yiling townspeople, and the Wens who had refused, even in their grief, to allow the destruction of their village to be the destruction of them. Though many were wounded, they still took on whatever tasks they could, whilst those grieving channelled their agonies into the ground with spades for the fields that would feed them or the foundations that would house them. It was tiring work, toiling from the moment the sun was up until it set or later if the lanterns would allow for it, but it brought with it a strange peace and determination that gave them the strength they needed.

He pressed the back of his hand to his forehead, the sweat beading there with the work and the sun that had decided to shine down on them without abatement since the early morning. He scooped several handfuls of the cool clear water, rinsing his face before drinking from his cupped hands. Though the water was refreshing, it soon reminded him that he had missed breakfast and midday had long since passed, hunger gnawing at him alongside the hollowness that had been his companion since the invasion of their home.

His companions buoyed his temper and he tried his best to smile especially around A-Yuan but the weight of the attack and his choices as the sect leader he was held up as were difficult burdens and made all the harder from having to limit some of his interactions with Lan Wangji in order to maintain the secrecy of their relationship. He knew they would be accepted by those around them, already certain that Jiang Yanli was well aware of what was between them, but he feared word spreading far with so many coming and going from Yiling. A misspoken word passed to Jin Guangshan would soon have every action and report given to the sects by Lan Wangji reduced to nothing, his character and those he spoke for open for question even when they strived to behave as they had been instructed.

He missed the warmth of his body next to him in their bed, the familiar comfort of his hands against his skin, the ease in which his kiss made the world quiet and his brain stop whirring round and round with a thousand thoughts and the voices of the mountain beneath him. He missed the calm to his storm, craving the covert touches and stolen moments when they found a shadowed corner or were far enough away from others when they took a watch together.

He got to his feet, wiping off his hands on the threadbare front of his robes, hoping he could find time to put a few stitches in the worst of the holes even if the thin material would tear again in a day or so regardless of how neat he sewed it. He was still busy poking a finger through a new found tear when he heard the familiar tread approaching him, wondering if the mountain had sensed his musings and sent him the balm for them.

'I see you decided to wear your best today,' said Lan Wangji, setting aside Bichen and a small wrapped bundle as he approached him.

'You jest but my best aren't much better these days,' said Wei Wuxian, stepping into the arms that soon opened for him, 'I thought you were working on the road from the gate.'

'I was until Popo grabbed me by the collar and told me I had better take you some food,' said Lan Wangji, hands settling warm against the small of his back, 'I offered a token protest that I should remain at my task but I must respect the wishes of my elders.'

'Such a good and obedient boy, Lan Er-Gongzi is,' said Wei Wuxian, fingers soon seeking out the tail of the ribbon in the fall of his hair and winding it around his fingers.

'It helped that I was missing you,' said Lan Wangji, 'And there is no one else close by up here.'

'My dear Hanguang-Jun, do you mean to tell me that you have used the excuse of bringing me sustenance after a weary morning's work as an excuse to be wicked beyond the prying eyes of our current guests?' said Wei Wuxian with a smile, 'You truly are a genius, my love.'

'It is an inspired plan,' said Lan Wangji, 'Though I have yet to be wicked.'

'Well you'd best get to it or you'll have had a wasted journey,' said Wei Wuxian, any further words cut off by the familiar yet sorely missed kiss.

He knew despite the distance from the village that someone could still stumble upon them but he allowed himself the indulgence if only for a few short minutes, taking strength and healing from the man in his arms as he always had.

'The night will be warm tonight,' said Lan Wangji as he released him, 'Come on the watch with me and then we can camp out away from the others. I want to sleep beside you again.'

Wei Wuxian nodded, placing a soft, chaste kiss to the cool silver emblem on his lover's forehead, 'Whatever you want,' he said, 'It has been hard finding rest without you. I didn't realise how much I relied on you being beside me.'

'I'm here now, if you want to rest.'

'It's too warm to sleep but will you stay a while?' said Wei Wuxian, 'I'm done here but no one knows that. We could say you were helping me.'

'I'll stay but let's not give excuses. Let's just say we ate together and took a few moments of peace. In the eyes of the world we have been friends a long time and we are entitled to be together. Once Xiongzhang arrives, my part in this can be over. As soon as he is aware of all that has happened I'm going to ask him to relieve me of the duty to be here as an observer and then inform him of my choice to remain with you here, as part of the YilingWei Sect for as long as it stands.'

Wei Wuxian sighed as he rested their foreheads together. 'I hope he is here soon,' he said, 'Though I want to protect you from all that may be said when people discover what is between us, I know you are clever enough to have already realised the worst of it and accepted what will come.'

'There are no doubt many who will whisper insults behind their hands whenever I pass them and more who will claim I am bewitched,' said Lan Wangji, 'But those who matter will know the truth. I love you, I want to spend my life beside you and help you build this sect. I want to stand at our gate and send our disciples into the world knowing that you and I gave them the best start that we could. Anyone who does not see the beauty of that, holds no sway over our lives.'

'Ah Lan Zhan, my poet, my philosopher, how can you be so romantic? Have mercy on your Wei Ying!'

Lan Wangji's laugh was quiet but bright, a sound reserved for so few people and Wei Wuxian was glad to be one of the people privileged to hear it.

Work calloused fingers touched gently to his lips, tracing the smile that had found its way there. It was a rarer thing in recent days but Lan Wangji was always able to coax it forth, certain he would do so for the rest of their lives whenever times were hard if the world allowed him to do so.

'Sit down and eat,' said Lan Wangji, guiding him over to where he had left the small bundle, 'Or Popo will skin me alive.'

'I know you're teasing but I wouldn't put it passed her,' said Wei Wuxian, sitting beside him on the thin grass, 'All our women folk, regardless of age, are warriors. I'm so proud of them and everyone. Their strength has given me the drive to keep going, even if it is hard to sit idle when it comes to Jin Guangshan. I want to raise every soul I am capable of raising and cut him to ribbons whilst he's still breathing but instead I can only do so in my head.'

'I want revenge for what happened as much as you do,' said Lan Wangji, 'But Jin Zixuan's plan has merit. Whilst a fight might ease some of the hurt, it will not prevent more. This way, when we finally get to speak in front of everyone, we will be heard.'

Wei Wuxian picked idly at a long stem of grass, 'Meanwhile we feed and house a prisoner better than we do some of our own,' he said, 'At least he's being agreeable and not giving any trouble.'

'It would be a sorry beginning for us if YilingWei treated prisoners with cruelty, regardless of their crime. He will be punished for what he has done but it will be done with fair assessment and with no cause for us to be vilified for it.'

'Right as always,' said Wei Wuxian taking the wrapped rations handed to him, 'Though I wish you weren't.'

'Mn,' said Lan Wangji, the sound non-committal even if he wore a small smile, 'Eat. You missed breakfast.'

Wei Wuxian did as he was told, the silence that soon surrounded them comfortable and familiar. He wasn't sure which one of them moved first but he was soon content to rest back against the solid wall of his lover's chest as he had done so often when he had been recovering from the back injury that had been one of the many lucky escapes he had had in the Burial Mounds. He let his eyes fall shut, indulging in the warmth and the calming cadence of Lan Wangji's breathing.

'It's beautiful up here,' said Lan Wangji, his voice quiet against Wei Wuxian's ear, 'When things settle, we should build something, a look out but just to enjoy it.'

'I never thought anyone would ever find anything beautiful about this place,' said Wei Wuxian, 'But it feels different than it ever did. Still sad but not as angry.'

'We have done a great deal to clear the most resentful of the spirits that haunted here,' said Lan Wangji, 'And not everyone who resides beneath the earth here was evil or hateful in life, only angry in death. Angry they were not honoured, that the rites were not performed, that they have been forgotten by the world. You have heard them, listened to them, and we have been respectful of them even when our needs were great. Even now, with them digging the foundations for the new houses, any remains found are honoured and treated with dignity. I think, perhaps, the mountain is finding peace.'

Wei Wuxian smiled, tilting his head back until he could see Lan Wangji's face, his expression soft and thoughtful.

'I hope we did some little good here. Alleviated the sadness.'

'We did,' said Lan Wangji, pressing a kiss to his forehead, 'And we will do more.'

Wei Wuxian laced their fingers together, holding their joined hands in his lap as he let the cool breeze chase away some if the heat from the sun. He knew work called them below, that sadness and grief were still the most paramount emotions in their village, but he allowed himself a moment's peace all the same. He wondered, if fate allowed, if they would indeed build somewhere just to sit and watch the world stretch out before them. Something permanent like the gate that had already withstood a trial and not fallen.

'Wei Ying, my love, we should get back. We will be missed,' said Lan Wangji, pulling him from his thoughts.

'Again you are right but I wish you were not,' he replied, with a small laugh at the thought that crossed him, 'I miss being quiet with you. It always reminds me of days in the Library Pavilion in the Cloud Recesses, longing for a look from you.'

'I am looking now,' said Lan Wangji, 'And if you long for days in the library, I will build you one here one day. It may even give you reason to organise your writings into something legible.'

'Only Lan Zhan could say something so beautiful and so cruel in one sentence,' said Wei Wuxian, heaving himself out of his comfortable place in his arms, stretching as he got to his feet.

He looked out over the view, the mist below still obscuring things a little but the land beyond was vast and green with the flush of spring.

'It is beautiful,' he said, leaning against the strong hand that came to rest in the small of his back.

'Come,' said Lan Wangji, helping him to gather the few tools he had brought with him before they made their way back towards the village.

The sound of people at work mixed with the low hum of voices, Wei Wuxian even recognising an old Yunmeng fishermen's' song being sung over the fields as they were prepared again, the Jiang disciples teaching the Wens as they worked side by side. He was unsure whether to be proud or heartbroken over the dogged determination of the villagers, certain they would rebuild again even if everything was destroyed a hundred times over, so used to everything around them being dispensable.

He looked over to the areas marked out with stakes and rope, their new village sketched out on the ground before the foundations were dug. He felt the familiar blush highlight his cheeks as his eyes fell on the largest area, the place they had set aside for his own residence. He had insisted, when he had see the plans, that he would be happy to remain tucked away in his cave but the Wens had been adamant that he have a house of his own. He had seen the small looks that had been sent Lan Wangji's way at the words from those who knew of their relationship, the house more than suitable for a small family. He had not allowed himself to think of a room for A-Yuan, or a room for him and Lan Wangji with a comfortable bed and a place for their possessions which would not need to be kept packed in boxes or sold to pay for food. It was a dream still too far away, too painful to hope for when they stood upon the edge of a knife.

'We should continue to help with the road from the gate,' he said, pulling his thoughts back to the present, 'It will make things so much easier for transporting building materials for the houses.'

'Just don't tire yourself too much,' said Lan Wangji, keeping his voice low, 'We need you at your strongest with such a risk still present.'

Wei Wuxian smiled, the bristle he had once felt at anyone telling him to rest long since passed with those who knew the truth of him. 'I will be careful,' he said, 'But I'm not made of glass. I'm still strong enough to work.'

'I know but you are still recovering from having a house fall on you,' said Lan Wangji, 'You are allowed to be a little cautious.'

'Hopefully the houses we build now will be sturdier. I have no desire to...'

'Xian-Gege! Xian-Gege! I didn't mean to. I didn't mean to say bad.'

A-Yuan's cries only just preceded him rounding the corner and crashing into Wei Wuxian's legs, clawing at his clothes in an effort to get into his arms.

'A-Yuan!' he said, quickly picking up the trembling child and holding him tightly as he began to cry, 'What's happened?'

The hiccuped words were indecipherable over the sound of his cries, even Lan Wangji's presence beside them, his hand rubbing soothing circles on the boy's back unable to calm him. They had grown used to A-Yuan waking in the night with screams, unable to bear being far from one of the people he trusted most, plastered to Wen-Popo, Lan Wangji, Wen Ning or Wei Wuxian whenever he could be. Wei Wuxian was certain Wen Qing would be amongst the number as well were it not for her duties keeping her with the wounded and sick, A-Yuan soon learning to give her space to work when she needed too. He was quiet, prone to tears and mood swings that tested his caregivers but no one grew angry with him for them, knowing he had seen far more in his young life than he should ever have done.

'A-Yuan, what's wrong? Are you hurt?' said Wei Wuxian, bouncing him gently on his hip, 'I can't help you if you don't tell me what's wrong? Lan Zhan, hurry and see what has happened? Is there any work going on there? Someone could be hurt.'

Lan Wangji nodded, Bichen glinting in the sunlight as he headed in the direction A-Yuan had run from.

'Whatever has happened, we'll make it right,' said Wei Wuxian, as A-Yuan continued to wail into his neck, 'It's alright. It'll be alright. Don't cry.'

'I'm sorry,' hiccuped A-Yuan, his hands tight fists on Wei Wuxian's threadbare robes, 'I'm sorry. I didn't mean it. I forgot. I just forgot.'

Wei Wuxian pressed a kiss to the side of his head, 'What did you forget?'

'That I'm not meant to tell,' said A-Yuan, 'I was playing with A-Ling and...'

The clash of sword upon sword tore through Wei Wuxian, the memory of the last battle all too fresh as he shifted A-Yuan in his arms, freeing a hand to pull Chenqing from his belt as he rushed towards the sound.

He wasn't sure if the scene that greeted him was better or worse than he had imagined, Jiang Cheng and Lan Wangji with swords drawn staring daggers at one another whilst Jiang Yanli stood between them with Jin Ling held protectively in her arms. Jin Zixuan had hold of Jiang Cheng, pinning his arms at his side as he struggled with frustration rather than violence at the hold. Lan Wangji needed no such restraint, Bichen held low at his side but ready to strike if the need arose.

'What's going on?' he demanded, 'Why are you fighting? Shijie!'

He set A-Yuan on his feet, hurrying to take her place between Jiang Cheng and Lan Wangji, grateful when she hurried to A-Yuan and took his hand.

'Is it true?' snapped Jiang Cheng, 'That he came here not to watch you like he was meant to but instead you and him...'

Wei Wuxian sighed, sparing a look to A-Yuan who had tucked himself behind Jiang Yanli's skirts, realising all too quickly the secret that had been told.

'Calm down,' he said, 'What are you doing? Fighting for my honour like I'm some maiden? Put your sword away and stop being a child.'

'Answer me, Wei Wuxian.'

'Jiang Cheng, calm down,' said Jin Zixuan, 'You're frightening people.'

Wei Wuxian looked around at the people beginning together, Wen villagers, Jiang disciples and the townspeople of Yiling alike. 'Let's go inside,' he said, 'Then we can talk.'

'A-Cheng,' said Jiang Yanli sharply, cutting off whatever was about the leave her brother's lips, 'We will all talk inside. The children do not need to see any more fighting, especially between people they care about.'

Jiang Cheng looked set to argue before he shrugged off Jin Zixuan's hands and returned Sandu to its sheath. 'Fine,' he said, 'Inside then.'

'Our old room is being used for storage but there's space,' said Wei Wuxian, as Lan Wangji sheathed Bichen, turning to him with a sigh, 'Lan Zhan?'

'It's time,' replied Lan Wangji, not needing anything more to understand the question, 'I am tired of hiding.'

'Zhan-Gege,' said A-Yuan, letting go of Jiang Yanli's skirts and hurrying over to him, 'Did Jiang-Zongzhu hurt you?'

Lan Wangji shook his head, 'No one is hurt,' he said, 'It was just cross words. I'm sorry you were frightened.'

'I'm sorry I told the secret,' said A-Yuan, 'I was just excited when the grown ups were saying I might get to play with A-Ling at other places when we're allowed outside. I said it would be nice for A-Ling to come when you and Xian-Gege get married.'

'It would be lovely if A-Ling could come,' said Wei Wuxian, ruffling his hair, 'Some secrets have ways of escaping, little radish, don't worry about it any more. Why don't you go with Jin-Furen and play with A-Ling some more. I promise no one is going to get cross again.'

'I will make sure everyone behaves, A-Yuan,' said Jin Zixuan, eyes cutting sharply to his brother in law, 'Everyone will be nice to each other.'

A-Yuan shook his head, clinging onto Lan Wangji's thigh and pressing his face into his hip, 'Not leaving,' he said.

'He will only be anxious waiting outside,' said Jiang Yanli, 'I will come in as well. It may help keep things from becoming heated.'

'A calming presence would be appreciated,' said Lan Wangji, reaching down to pry A-Yuan from his leg, 'You may stay but you must let the adults talk.'

A-Yuan nodded, eyes wide but trusting as Lan Wangji led him towards the cave. Wei Wuxian followed beside them, his stomach knotting painfully as the fear of what would follow the discovery of their relationship gnawed at him. He knew though, even if everyone they told vilified them for it, they would stand beside one another and face it as they had faced so much even before their love had been spoken aloud.

Jiang Cheng stormed ahead of them, the effect of it rather less intimidating in his workaday clothes rather then the billowing robes he usually wore, his shoulders hunched as they had been in their childhood whenever he was more upset than angry but didn't want to show it.

'He's just annoyed that he owes me money,' said Jin Zixuan, falling into step with them, 'He said there was no way you two would ever settle anything here. I had other suspicions.'

'Who had other suspicions?' said Jiang Yanli, shifting Jin Ling a little in her arms, 'I was certain the moment they announced who would be guarding you here.'

Wei Wuxian smiled at the telltale blush high on Lan Wangji's cheeks at the unguarded words of their fellows. 'You knew when you first got here,' he said.

Jiang Yanli smiled, 'You looked settled and happy, you both did,' she said, 'And I am glad for you. A-Cheng will be too. He's just upset he did not find out from you directly.'

The familiar stab of guilt that always accompanied thoughts of his brother felt fresher at Jiang Yanli's words. There was so much he kept from those he loved in an effort to protect them, to protect the Wens and to protect himself. It felt as though the only person he could truly be honest with was Lan Wangji and even then he did not share the worst of all he had lived through, not wanting to add to the constant worry he knew was carried for him.

As they entered the cave, they found Jiang Cheng shifting the boxes to make a small seating area, his brow heavy and dark whenever he caught Wei Wuxian's eye.

Jin Zixuan was the first to sit, motioning Lan Wangji to the seat beside him. Jiang Yanli pressed Wei Wuxian in the seat next to him, positioning herself so that she and her husband formed a protective guard for the pair as Jiang Cheng took the only remaining place.

Wei Wuxian looked to Lan Wangji as he eased A-Yuan onto his lap, the little boy still clinging close to him, the small nod all he needed to begin speaking.

'First off, I'm sorry I didn't... we didn't tell anyone sooner but can I ask that you let me tell you what happened before you start shouting at me,' he said, the roll of Jiang Cheng's eyes grating but a little less volatile than his temper had been outside, 'When Lan Zhan first came here, it was to observe us and to make his reports back to the sect leaders. Each report he has sent has been truthful and accurate both before and after we realised we were more to each other than friends.'

'And how long have you been more than just friends?' said Jiang Cheng, folding his arms over his chest.

'Late winter,' said Wei Wuxian, 'When I was injured. We've kept it quiet since then because we knew it would place Lan Zhan's position in jeopardy. We have concealed nothing else. He has seen and reported all there is to see here and he has done so without our relationship colouring it. If he had been taken away, the village would have been even more at risk. He has helped protect us, guided us. We needed him. I needed him. I know it was wrong of us to keep it hidden but I assure you all that nothing has changed because of it.'

'Who does know?'

'The Wens, though we never announced anything. I don't think we were as subtle as we thought we were,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Mianmian worked it out.'

'What about Zewu-Jun?' said Jiang Cheng, 'I'm assuming for the fact that you're still breathing that Lan-Xiansheng doesn't know.'

'Xiongzhang and Shufu are unaware,' said Lan Wangji, 'Though I intended to tell them once I was relieved of my formal duties here. I had thought that it would be at the same time that we would make you all aware as well.'

'I'm sorry I told,' said A-Yuan against his shoulder.

'It matters not,' said Lan Wangji, 'Do not worry. We're not angry with you.'

'But Jiang-Zongzhu is,' said A-Yuan, 'I am sorry I told you the secret Jiang-Zongzhu. I wanted you to be happy because you are Xian-Gege's shidi and when we're free and he gets to marry Zhan-Gege, they get to both be my A-Die and we can all be family.'

'A-Die?' cried Jiang Cheng, 'Are you...have you gone as mad as they say? I thought you were trying to build a sect here. Isn't that what you want?'

'What I want is for these people to live,' said Wei Wuxian, 'The sect is necessary to keep them safe.'

'The sect will be pointless if your line ends with you,' said Jiang Cheng, 'You should be thinking about a wife, an heir not whatever this is.'

'Love,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Love and building a place for that.'

'And what happens when you die or do you really think you can reach immortality with this cultivation of yours?' said Jiang Cheng, 'What happens then?'

'Someone else leads,' said Wei Wuxian, swallowing hard against the lump in his throat at the mention of his cultivation, 'Someone chosen on their merits rather than blood. We've not exactly worked out the details but the whole point of this is that someone should not just be judged on their name. That a person's actions mean more than what they were born to.'

'And do you really think GusuLan are going to let Lan Wangji marry into a place like this?'

'That is a discussion we will have with them when the time comes,' said Lan Wangji, 'But my intent is to remain with Wei Ying and serve the people here for however long that is.'

'You're delusional, the both of you,' said Jiang Cheng with a dismissive wave of his hand, 'You've run mad stuck up here.'

'We didn't choose to be stuck here,' said Wei Wuxian, 'And what is the other option? You want me to marry? Find me a bride. She'll either be some poor woman sent to appease me by those who still think I'm a monster who'll quake whenever I enter a room or she'll be from a sect under the control of a larger one in the hope I'll be their puppet. I am safer, these people are safer, with Lan Zhan beside me. Aren't you all just as delusional as us, as well? You plan to overthrow Jin-Xiandu. Isn't that endeavour as much about making this world a freer and fairer one too?'

'A-Xian is right,' said Jiang Yanli, 'What we are proposing goes against tradition in the hope of building fresher, better ones. Perhaps YilingWei might teach the world a way to do things better and I would prefer to know the person beside A-Xian loves him deeply, as has been proven time and again. A-Cheng, I know you're worried but don't you want A-Xian to be happy?'

Jiang Cheng huffed, his eyes low on the table, 'I want him to be serious for once.'

Wei Wuxian pushed aside the desire to shout, instead reaching out until his hand met Lan Wangji's squeezing it tightly in his, 'I am serious. More serious than I have ever been,' he said, 'I love Lan Zhan and A-Yuan and they are as much family to me as you and Shijie are. I love these people and I want to spend my life making sure they have a good one. There is nothing I wouldn't do for them. Sect leader or no, my place is here with Lan Zhan beside me.'

'And me!' said A-Yuan, 'Jiang Zongzhu, don't be sad. I promise to look after Xian-Gege. Zhan-Gege and I have done it lots. When my old house fell on him I held his hand lots to make the pain go away and Zhan-Gege makes him sit down and eat his dinner and go to bed at a good time.'

'I bet he does,' came the muttered response.

'Jiang Cheng!' snapped Wei Wuxian, 'Don't even imply it. Whilst we haven't always been honest about the nature of our relationship, I will not have anyone suggest we've been inappropriate. We've been too busy trying not to starve to death or waiting for the next assassin to make their attempt anyway.'

'I'm sure, when things are set right, everything will be done as it should be,' said Jiang Yanli, 'I am glad to know A-Xian will always have two people so devoted to him as you and Lan Er-Gongzi are, A-Yuan.'

'I love him,' said A-Yuan, 'He saved me from the bad place. Please don't be angry because he kept the secret. He didn't want Zhan-Gege to go away. He was sad when Zhan-Gege was away. Please Jiang-Zongzhu, please don't be angry and make Zhan-Gege go away.'

'I am not going anywhere, little radish, I promise you,' said Lan Wangji, pressing a kiss to the side of his head, 'Jiang-Zongzhu, please understand that the deception has been necessary for the continued protection of these people. You concerns are valid and it is true that it would no doubt be more prudent for the line of succession to proceed through Wei Ying's blood heir but I can assure you that as long as I breathe I will help, protect, and care for him. This sect will stand and it will prosper if we are given the chance. I hope we can still rely upon you to assist us with it.'

Jiang Cheng's eyes were hard as he looked between the others gathered, finally settling on Wei Wuxian. 'You're out of your mind.'

'Noted,' said Wei Wuxian, hearing the familiar notes in his voice that meant a little of the ice Jiang Cheng had formed around him was thawing.

'Lan-Xiansheng will use your skin to bind a hundred copies of the GusuLan rules.'

Wei Wuxian couldn't help the smile that came to his lips. 'That is something I've already considered.'

'Hurt him and they won't find enough to bury,' said Jiang Cheng, turning his attention to Lan Wangji once more.

'I have no intention of ever hurting him,' said Lan Wangji, 'However difficult the path ahead, I will be beside him, supporting him.'

Jiang Cheng nodded gruffly, 'Never thought I would see the revered Hanguang-Jun as a wife.'

'Well I never once considered you for a husband, Jiang Wanyin, so there we are quite even.'

Jin Zixuan's laughter was muted for only a second before it rang clear, Jin Ling giggling from his mother's lap in response despite having no understanding of the reason why. Jiang Yanli was a little more composed but only due to her face being pressed against her son's downy head, her shoulders shaking as she tried to contain her own laughter.

Wei Wuxian wanted to laugh but worry that the quick response would send Jiang Cheng tumbling back into a rage kept him quiet, his hand tightening around Lan Wangji's.

'Well,' said Jiang Cheng, the smallest hint of a smile teasing at his lips, 'At least you have the wit to keep up with him. I didn't think you were capable of making jokes.'

'Perhaps you should get to know me better then,' said Lan Wangji, 'I hope we will have time to do so.'

Jiang Cheng nodded. 'I think you both underestimate what will come for you when this is made public but if you're determined to face it then I won't stand in your way.'

'That goes for me as well,' said Jin Zixuan, 'You've chosen a difficult path but you've overcome so much already together, I am sure you can weather this.'

'With the right partner in this life you can achieve anything,' said Jiang Yanli, 'I hope you all have a happy future ahead.'

'Does this mean no one is angry any more?' said A-Yuan.

'Well Jiang-Zongzhu is always angry but you'll get used to that,' said Wei Wuxian, seeing the small glint of mirth in Jiang Cheng's eye even as he huffed in response to the words, 'But no one is angry about me and Zhan-Gege any more.'

'Does that mean you can still get married and I can live in the new house with you sometimes and call you A-Die?'

'Yes,' said Wei Wuxian, 'If the world allows it, yes to everything.'

A-Yuan beamed, wriggling on Lan Wangji's lap until he could throw a skinny arm around Wei Wuxian's neck, tugging him into an awkward hug. 'I'm happy,' he said, 'I'm still sorry I told the secret though.'

'There's no need for sorry,' said Lan Wangji, 'These things have a way of coming out and now it is settled. You don't need to be sorry.'

A-Yuan sighed, burrowing into the space between them before he froze and cried out. 'Oh no! Don't squeeze me too tight. You'll break it.'

'Break what?' said Wei Wuxian, sitting back as A-Yuan began gently patting down his clothes before he reached inside, hand curled protectively around something small and pale.

'I found it when we were clearing up,' said A-Yuan, opening his hand a little to reveal the single chicken egg, 'If I take care of it, perhaps it will hatch into a chick and we can have chickens again.'

Wei Wuxian knew it was a fruitless hope but he could not bring himself to steal any of it from the boy before him. 'Perhaps, if we're very lucky, it will hatch. You must take very good care of it though.'

A-Yuan brushed a finger over the egg, 'I will,' he said, 'I will keep it safe like Xian-Gege keeps us safe. Can I play with A-Ling again now no one is annoyed about the secret any more?'

'You are always welcome to play with A-Ling,' said Jiang Yanli looking down to where the baby's head was lulling against her shoulder, 'But I think he needs to sleep first.'

'He sleeps a lot,' said A-Yuan, 'Even when there is loud banging with the building.'

'Babies are lucky they can sleep through a lot of things, even building work,' said Jiang Yanli, moving to wrap an arm around A-Yuan's tiny waist as the boy clambered down from Lan Wangji's lap and made his way over to her.

'Speaking of building work,' said Jin Zixuan, 'Did you see the plans for the new storehouse that came up from Yiling this morning?'

'I did,' said Lan Wangji, 'We may need to make some adjustments given the actual structure of the cave inside but it has merit. We can begin work once the materials are collected.'

'We have some good wood treatments to guard against damp,' said Jiang Cheng, 'I will get the details sent through.'

Wei Wuxian tried to listen to the conversations around him, glad that they had overcome the hurdle of his relationship with Lan Wangji with relative ease. He knew it would not remain so peaceful, having little doubt that Jiang Cheng would corner him and question him further and that Jiang Yanli, for all her support, would still offer words of caution not to show anything to too much excess. Such thoughts though were secondary to the larger one beating in his brain.

A-Yuan had not meant to tell their secret but it had been revealed all the same. Even if the child had remained quiet, Wei Wuxian knew many had guessed that friendship was not the only relationship he shared with Lan Wangji whilst others had speculated about what prolonged time together would do to the pair of them. They too did the bare minimum to conceal it from the world. Constantly seeking one another out and neither of them taking much care to avoid the touches that had been an alien thing before they had grown so much closer.

All secrets had a way of being spoken. All secrets had a way of coming out at the worst possible time.

If Jiang Yanli had not been on hand to step between her brother and Lan Wangji, the outcome would have been different. If Jin Zixuan hadn't been a quiet but calming presence in the room, the outcome would have been different. If those with ill-intent had witnessed A-Yuan's slip and Jiang Cheng's reaction, so much of what they had built could have been crumbled in moments if Lan Wangji's honour and conduct for the preceding months had been questioned.

Secrets would come out in the end.

He pressed a hand low on his stomach, against the scar that still ached. The scar that spoke of his sacrifice and the greatest secret he had ever kept. The secret he knew he had to tell whilst he could do so on his own terms.

'Wei Ying? Wei Ying, are you alright?'

He looked up, meeting Lan Wangji's concerned gaze, watching the quick track of his eyes to where Wei Wuxian's hand rested against his scar. He nodded, smiling at the small question in his lover's eyes that didn't need to be spoken.

'Secrets easily slip,' he said, turning his attention to Jiang Yanli, 'Shijie, could one of the nurses take A-Ling for a while. A-Yuan, I want you to go and help Popo.'

'A-Xian, what's wrong?' said Jiang Yanli, her tone setting both her brother and husband on edge in Wei Wuxian's peripheral vision.

Wei Wuxian forced a smile to his lips but he knew it did little to fool the woman before him. 'There's something else I need to tell you,' he said, 'But it's best if the children aren't here.'

'A-Xian.'

'Wei Ying?' said Lan Wangji, 'What..?'

'It will all come out eventually,' said Wei Wuxian, 'That much is obvious. At least this way, it's my choice.'

'A-Xian, what's wrong?' said Jiang Yanli again, 'Please?'

'Once the children are away,' said Wei Wuxian, 'And if Wen Qing is nearby, ask her to come in.'

'Wei Ying, think about this,' said Lan Wangji.

Wei Wuxian smiled sadly, 'I have. Long and hard since the day the thought even crossed my mind to take the action I did,' he said, 'What happens now at least happens now, not later when I'm not in control of it.'

'I will stay with you,' said Lan Wangji, taking his hand, 'I am always beside you.'

The promise etched itself across his heart, knowing that even if the rest of the room abandoned him, he would never be truly alone despite the pain he would be forced to carry within him.

'Wei Wuxian,' said Jiang Cheng, 'What have you done?'

'In a moment,' said Wei Wuxian as Jiang Yanli took A-Yuan and Jin Ling to the door and calling to someone outside.

He was unsurprised that people were nearby, Jiang Cheng's fight with Lan Wangji and the subsequent raised voices from the cave likely to have enticed even the most disciplined of disciples to try and hear what was passing between them.

'Lan Zhan,' he said, 'When Shijie comes back and Wen Qing arrives, can you put a barrier over the door. I want this to be for family alone.'

'I can go, if you need me to, so long as everyone will be safe,' said Jin Zixuan.

Wei Wuxian shook his head, 'You are family and we may need you.'

The wait was almost painful even if it was only a little more than a few moments, Jiang Yanli returning to the group, her footsteps soon followed by Wen Qing. Wei Wuxian watched the latter's eyes move quickly over those gathered, her confusion and worry barely hidden on her face.

'I will ward the door,' said Lan Wangji, waving Wen Qing into the seat he had vacated before turning to his task.

Wei Wuxian waited for him to return, the weight of his hands on his shoulders comforting as he came to stand behind him rather than find another box to sit on.

'I've asked Wen Qing to be here as she can fill in some of the gaps in the story I need to tell you. All I ask is that you remember that everything I am about to say was decided upon, insisted upon and rests solely upon me,' he said, Wen Qing's stuttered breath beside him letting him know she realised what was about to be shared, 'I ask as well that you let me tell you everything before you react. I also ask you to consider the people in this village, however this changes your opinion of me. You have agreed with me that they are innocent and should be free. This must not change that.'

'Whatever you have to tell us, A-Xian, I cannot see how we would ever forget that,' said Jiang Yanli, taking his hand, 'We're listening.'

Wei Wuxian took a breath, watching the expectant eyes before him until he settled on Jiang Cheng. He forced one last smile to his lips, terrified it would be the last time Jiang Cheng would accept one from him but knowing it was a risk he had to take.

'What I have to tell you concerns what happened after the fall of Lotus Pier and how...how Jiang Cheng's core was restored.'

Chapter 27: Strength

Notes:

I am so so sorry for the delay in this chapter. Body and mind conspired against me and my writing suffered for it. I will try to keep the gaps for the final chapters shorter if I can. Thank you all for sticking with me.

TW for this chapter include mention of violence (canon-typical), injury, blood and wound tending but nothing too graphic.

Chapter Text

'I...I don't know what happened to you after. All I know was that I waited for you in Yiling but Wen Chao found me first and that's...that's when he threw me in here and all this began,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I should have told you sooner. I know I shouldn't have lied to you but you wouldn't...you would have fought me. You always fought me and I just wanted you safe. When it was done...perhaps if I'd not found myself here, I could have told you but once I was...the world hates me. I didn't want them to hate you too.'

Lan Wangji kept his grip tight on Wei Wuxian's shoulders as he finished the story of how his martial brother now carried the golden core that had once been inside him. He was certain there would be bruises in the shape of his fingers but he knew that the touch was one of the only things keeping his lover from flying out of his own skin.

The rest of the room was silent save for the sound of Jiang Yanli's quiet sobs, muffled against Jin Zixuan's shoulder as he did his best to comfort her. Occasionally she would reach for Wei Wuxian or Jiang Cheng but her touches seemed to bring little comfort to either of them. The latter was painfully silent, his eyes on his boots and his face, that was usually set in a scowl, completely devoid of emotion. Were it not for the occasional shuddering intake of his breath, Lan Wangji would have feared that the stress of Wei Wuxian's story had forced him into some strange Qi deviation. As it was, he was glad that his temper was kept restrained but he feared the ferocity of it when it was finally released.

'I'm so sorry,' said Wei Wuxian when nothing else was forthcoming, 'I'm so sorry that everything I did came to this. It was my fault that Lotus Pier fell. It was my fault that Jiang-Zongzhu and Yu-Furen died, I know it was. They gave me everything and I knew there was nothing I could do to give that back but in this...in this I hoped to pay a little of that debt. I know it will never be enough but please, know it was all I could do. I did it for my love for you. My love for YunmengJiang. For those who died and for those still alive. Giving you back to them was no sacrifice. It was my duty. It was my choice. I don't care if you hate me for it. I know it was the right thing to do. All I ask is that you blame me and only me. Wen Qing and Wen Ning only did what I asked of them after I pushed them too hard, and these people here are innocent. Whatever harm you wish to do to me, I'll take, but the people in this village do not hold any blame. It's mine, it's all mine.'

'I know full well who the blame for this lies with,' hissed Jiang Cheng, 'As always, everything is entirely about you. Is there anything else you've lied about?'

Wei Wuxian shook his head, 'Nothing else,' he said, 'I swear. I have no right to ask anything but, for your sake, for what others will say, let this stay between us. Let this story die here. If the world needs to know what happened to my core, Wen Zhuliu can bear the blame. Don't let this come back on you.'

'No, you wouldn't want that would you,' said Jiang Cheng, 'Wei Wuxian, the most noble of all cultivators. Wei Wuxian who knows better than everyone. Who is the only one qualified to make choices for the world.'

'Jiang Cheng...'

The crackle at least was a warning, enough for Lan Wangji to topple Wei Wuxian back off his stool, covering his prone body with his own as the desperate cries rang out around them. He had suffered physical punishment several times, was proud of the amount of pain he could endure after years of training, but the lick of Zidian across his back was a unique and excruciating agony. He refused to cry out though, steeling himself against further assault but none came. Instead, he heard the sound of running feet and Jiang Yanli's voice as she called out to her brother.

'A-Cheng! A-Cheng, wait!'

'Lan Zhan!' said Wei Wuxian from beneath him, 'Did he hurt you? Are you hurt?'

'I'm fine,' said Lan Wangji, easing himself up from where they lay on the dusty floor, 'Did I hurt you? I didn't have time to be cautious.'

'I'm not hurt,' said Wei Wuxian, as his face came into view, eyes wide and red-rimmed, 'You should have let him hit me. I deserved it.'

'No one deserves that,' said Wen Qing, her small hands helping Lan Wangji to his feet as he stumbled a little, the pain across his back making him dizzy, 'You need treatment.'

'I'll be fine,' said Lan Wangji, gritting his teeth against the pain as he pulled Wei Wuxian to his feet.

'Who's the doctor?' said Wen Qing, 'We need you strong, Lan Wangji.'

He saw the concern alongside the upset in her eyes, knowing that the confession Wei Wuxian had shared had been painful for her as well, and nodded. 'I will take whatever treatment you deem fit,' he said, 'So long as I am not needed elsewhere. I hope Jiang Wanyin will be more considerate of his next actions.'

'The others followed,' said Wen Qing, 'I'm sure they will keep an eye on him.'

'I shouldn't have said anything,' said Wei Wuxian, his voice small, 'If only...'

'It would have come out and maybe in worse circumstances,' said Lan Wangji, 'Now, there is nothing hidden.'

'From anyone if Jiang Cheng doesn't keep it quiet and I can't make any demands of him,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I only hope...'

'What's done is done and Lan Wangji is right, it would have come out eventually,' said Wen Qing, 'In a way, I am glad he knows. I haven't liked lying to them, even if it was only by omission.'

'It's all such a mess,' said Wei Wuxian.

'We have weathered worse,' said Wen Qing, pressing a hand to his shoulder, 'We'll be alright. I need to check on my patients. I'll be back shortly to bandage you up, Lan Wangji, it's already bleeding through. Wei Wuxian, rather than wallow, make yourself useful and get the wound cleaned before I come back.'

The words were sharp and to the point, Wen Qing leaving little room for argument as she left the cave. Lan Wangji watched Wei Wuxian flounder for a moment, caught up in between her instructions and the instinct to find Jiang Cheng and try to recover what he could of their relationship. As he had done whenever he had needed an anchor before, he reached for his hand, drawing him a little closer before he spoke.

'I will need your assistance to clean it as Wen Qing said,' said Lan Wangji, 'Jiang Wanyin will not go far nor will he do anything foolish when the truth he now knows could harm his sect as well. You gave me the space I needed when I first heard the news, allow him the same. The others will make sure he is alright.'

Wei Wuxian nodded, looking down at their joined hands before he covered them both with his free one. 'I'm sorry you were hurt.'

'You have said and your apology is unnecessary,' said Lan Wangji, 'With my cultivation, it will heal in a few days. For you, the blow could have caused great injury and we need you fit and able right now. Besides, do I need to remind you that your burdens are ones that I will happily share?'

'That does not extend to injuries,' said Wei Wuxian with a sigh, 'This is all such a mess. I've put so many people at risk.'

'The more you think about it, the more you will worry,' said Lan Wangji, 'For now, give Jiang Wanyin time. What comes, comes. We will face it together.'

'Together,' said Wei Wuxian, releasing his hand to pluck at the collar of Lan Wangji's robes, 'Get comfortable. We need to get that seen to or Wen Qing will get me with worse. I'll be back in a moment.'

Lan Wangji watched him go, hoping he would have the common sense to avoid Jiang Cheng until tempers had been allowed to cool. He wished he could turn time back to the morning, when the world felt bright and hopeful. Though the revelations had soured things, he still held on to the future that was laced into the land beneath his feet and the gate they had built days before. He could only trust that the ties of family would lead to understanding and allow the plan they had built together to still have a chance to survive.

He pulled his thoughts away from the many routes their lives could take, the darker ones all too strong, instead he focused on the sharp ache across his back. Though he could not see the injury he knew that even with his cultivation, it would leave a scar, a mark he would gladly bear for all that it meant. He picked at his fastenings, loosening them enough to slip one arm free, wincing as the drying blood caught on the fabric as he pulled it away from the wound.

'Here, let me help.'

He heard the clatter of a bowl being set down before Wei Wuxian's hands took hold of his collar, easing the material away from the wound, hissing as it was revealed to him.

'I would not blame you if you decided to fight him for this.'

'I think we've all had enough of fighting,' said Lan Wangji, 'He should not have lashed out but I can understand why he did, it was a lot for him to learn. My own emotions were in confusion when I learned the truth and it didn't affect me directly.'

Wei Wuxian sighed, 'When he calms down...if he calms down, I'll punch him in the gut for it even so. He hurt you. I won't accept that, even if he was aiming for me.'

'A wise man once told me a man should get a scar now and then, it shows he protected someone,' said Lan Wangji, turning to face Wei Wuxian, wiping a thumb over the dried tear stain on his cheek, 'If I'm going to get hurt protecting anyone, then my family comes first.'

Wei Wuxian pressed into the touch, his eyes misting with tears before he blinked them away. 'Let's get you treated or a certain Qing-jie will have this family member's hide for not doing as he was told. Sit.'

Lan Wangji settled himself on one of the crates that had served as a chair, capturing his hair in his hand to hold it in place as Wei Wuxian swept it over his shoulder. Cool fingers pressed lightly around the edge of the injury, Lan Wangji unable to avoid flinching whenever they reached the most tender points.

'Sorry,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I'll be gentle.'

'It's fine,' said Lan Wangji, 'I have had worse.'

Wei Wuxian laughed softly, 'That's not as comforting as I think you're hoping it will be,' he said, 'I never want you to be in pain.'

'I will try not to be in future,' said Lan Wangji, suppressing another flinch as a cool, wet cloth was pressed gently to the wound that striped his back, 'Though it does enable me to steal a few moments alone with you.'

'Just wish our time alone wasn't always prompted by one of us bleeding,' said Wei Wuxian, his hands gentling as they reached a place where the wound felt worse, 'One day I'll have you alone and half dressed for better reasons.'

'I will hold you to that,' said Lan Wangji, 'How bad is it?'

'You're going to have an enviable scar. We'll have to think of a better story for it though. Perhaps Xuanwu got another chunk of you or we'll give them a monster from the Burial Mounds to worry about.'

'I don't think the world needs anything else to worry about in the Burial Mounds, they've already made you scary enough,' said Lan Wangji, 'Besides, the only person who will see it is you.'

'That's very true,' said Wei Wuxian, hand steadying him as he cleaned part that crossed his spine, the bones beneath making the skin tighter as he moved, 'Try to keep still or it will keep bleeding.'

'I'm surprised the heat didn't stem it,' said Lan Wangji, 'I knew it was a fearsome weapon but I did not expect it to be this bad.'

'It has a very particular level of pain that it inflicts,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Though I have never known it wielded with force from Jiang Cheng. Yu-Furen though...'

'You don't need to talk about it,' said Lan Wangji as he fell silent behind. He wanted to follow with some comfort that they had shared the same pain but he knew it would do little, Wei Wuxian no doubt remembering not just Yu Ziyuan's temper but also her death and that of the others in Lotus Pier. The nerve made raw by the day's revelation.

The cloth made one final pass over the wound before warm lips instead pressed to the shoulder that was undamaged.

'There,' said Wei Wuxian, 'It's clean but you'll probably still have to suffer some of Wen Qing's vile concoctions. How does it feel?'

'It could be worse,' said Lan Wangji, 'How are you feeling?'

'Resigned,' said Wei Wuxian, moving around until he could kneel in front of Lan Wangji's seat, taking his hand, 'I hope he calms down. I hope we can find a way to be friends. If we can't though, I just hope no one but me suffers for it. We should talk about what we'll tell Zewu-Jun when he arrives, I don't want you to have to lie to him any more, especially when the truth is now known by others.'

'I will tell him what you want me to tell him,' said Lan Wangji, stroking his hair, 'But if it is to come out, I would prefer it to be from us. He will understand that you were trying to protect Jiang Cheng.'

'And when we tell him about us?'

'I trust that he knows my heart well enough,' said Lan Wangji, 'And that he knows I would only have allowed this to begin if I was certain of your character. He may be displeased for the fact that it could put me at risk but not because he doubts you. He knows you are an honourable man. If he does have any complaints though, I will do as is necessary to remain here with you. Shufu will be difficult but I do not believe he would have approved of anyone I chose as my partner that wasn't a beacon of GusuLan's principles without being a direct blood relation.'

'At least we have Shijie's support and Jin Zixuan. I'm not sure where Jiang Cheng will sit now but hopefully he won't make trouble for us.'

'We will know once he has had time,' said Lan Wangji, resisting the urge to double over Wei Wuxian as he rested his head on his thigh and offer a cocoon of protection after the trials of the day, 'We'll be alright, my love.'

'I just want to world to go away for a little while,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I want to sleep one night without worrying what the morning will bring. I want to be able to make a plan for the future that doesn't contain the words what if.'

Lan Wangji allowed the quiet to steal over them, ignoring the sting of his back as he gently combed through the long strands of Wei Wuxian's hair with his fingers. It was several long moments before he heard footsteps behind him, stilling at the doorway.

'It's me,' said Wen Qing, 'Don't worry. You don't need to move for the moment.'

Lan Wangji nodded all the same, his fingers keeping their steady path through Wei Wuxian's hair as Wen Qing settled behind him, fingers probing at the injured skin of his back.

'A few days and you will be fine but we will need to keep it covered to avoid infection,' she said, 'This will help.'

He was glad that whatever was being brushed onto the wound was at least warm rather than cold and cloying but the bitter smell was unwelcome, medicinal and sharp in a way that made him think too much of the aftermath of a battle.

'I was thinking I would start sleeping next to you again now everything is out in the open but if you're going to smell like one of Wen Qing's poisons, I might reconsider,' said Wei Wuxian raising his head from Lan Wangji's thigh to glare playfully at the woman behind him, 'Can't you sweeten it with something?'

'I make medicine,' said Wen Qing, 'It smells as it does to do the job it needs to do. It smells no worse than you have on regular occasions since we came here.'

Lan Wangji was glad to hear the short bark of laughter from his lover, the sound not nearly as hollow as there was a risk of it being.

'Lan Zhan, don't you see how she bullies me?'

'Mn. She is right though,' said Lan Wangji, earning himself a sharp pinch beside his knee for the insult, 'When we have finished building the houses, we should use what wood is left to build a bath tub.'

Wei Wuxian sighed. 'I would lie in it until I melted into soup.'

'Bearing in mind that sometimes I think it is only the mud holding you together that may well happen,' said Wen Qing, taking the brush from Lan Wangji's back before she began to bandage it, shifting her patient with quick and skilled hands to allow her to bind it tightly.

'And she calls herself a doctor,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Thinking I would truly melt. Don't you know I am held together with more than mud. There is rage and spite and the desire to place Jin Guangshan's head on a stick as well.'

'That's holding most of us together, I think,' said Wen Qing, setting a hand on Lan Wangji's shoulder, 'I'm going to tie off the bandage now, tell me if it is too tight.'

Lan Wangji hissed through his teeth as she pulled the bandage tight around him, the pressure bringing with it a fresh sting that slowly dissipated to a dull ache. The bandage itself though was not too tight, his breathing still free and easy with no additional pressure on his body that felt uncomfortable.

'How is it?'

'It is fine,' said Lan Wangji, 'Thank you.'

'Think nothing of it,' said Wen Qing, 'Keep it clean and dry for the next few days. I will want to check on it tomorrow. If you have any discomfort or you think something is amiss, let me know. May I?'

Lan Wangji offered her his wrist as she moved into his sight line, Wei Wuxian grumbling as she stepped over him. He knew the blow had done nothing to harm his spiritual power but he appreciated the thoroughness that had been ingrained in Wen Qing's training.

'Try not to do anything too strenuous for a while,' she said, releasing his wrist, 'I hope I don't need to threaten you as I do our dear Wei-Zongzhu.'

'Wei-Zongzhu demands respect and refuses to let you bully or threaten him any more, cruel woman,' muttered Wei Wuxian.

Wen Qing poked him with a sharp nail, chuckling at his yelp. 'Wei-Zongzhu needs to make sure our esteemed Hanguang-Jun gets the rest he needs,' she said, 'And he also needs to rest himself. I'll take care of everyone else. You two just worry about each other for now.'

With a final check of Lan Wangji's bindings, she collected her supplies and headed to the exit, Wei Wuxian hurrying to his feet as he followed her. Lan Wangji could not hear the low conversation they shared, not attempting to either as he righted his clothes and refastened them, knowing there was a kinship between them both that he would never be part of, forged in blood and desperation long before. He did not begrudge it, his family stronger for the relationship and the depth of camaraderie that it came with, Wen Qing as much of a sister to him as she would be if they shared the same blood.

He looked around the room, hoping to find some busy work to occupy them that wouldn't exacerbate his injury, Wei Wuxian needing to occupy his mind to avoid falling into darker thoughts. The search was unnecessary though as another soft voice joined the two at the door.

'A-Xian?'

'I'll leave you,' said Wen Qing, offering both Wei Wuxian and Jiang Yanli a small, sympathetic smile as she disappeared through the door.

'Wei Ying,' said Lan Wangji, getting to his feet, 'Do you want me to leave as well?'

'My apologies, Lan Er-Gongzi,' said Jiang Yanli, her voice tight and her face drawn from tears, 'I did not realise you were here as well. I can...'

'Stay,' said Wei Wuxian, taking hold of her hands, 'Please.'

Lan Wangji heard the desperation in his voice, certain his darker thoughts had stolen his beloved martial sister away from him for good even before such things had been spoken.

'I will not be far,' he said, getting to his feet and heading towards the exit, pausing as he reached them to set a hand on Wei Wuxian's shoulder, 'Take all the time you need but call if you need me.'

Wei Wuxian nodded, his eyes filling with tears even as he forced the smallest of smiles. It took far more strength than Lan Wangji had needed before to tear himself away from the pair and step out into the light of the afternoon but he knew it was a conversation he did not to be a part of, whatever rift or pain that existed between the pair to be healed by them and them alone.

He was grateful for the slim arm that slipped through his, Wen Qing's face as concerned but resigned as he was sure his was as she led him a little further from the door.

'At least with her, we know he's safe,' she said, 'Don't worry too much. He'll be fine.'

Lan Wangji nodded, following her lead to where several of the older women sat at less laborious tasks than those younger and sitting down beside her. 'In all this, I have not thought to ask how you are faring,' he said, 'Forgive me. This affects you nearly as much as it affects him.'

Wen Qing smiled, 'Not in the same way,' she said, 'I am sure there are people who are angry with me but I only did what was needed and what was pressed upon me by a person in desperation for someone he loved. I could have refused him but I knew he would seek someone else out the moment he brought the idea to me if I did not, in the end, acquiesce. If it was to be done at all, I wanted it to be a doctor I trusted and I trust no one better than me.'

'If it had to happen, I am glad you were with him,' said Lan Wangji, 'And you are right about his stubbornness. For those he loves, Wei Ying would search the world for what was needed.'

'He's a fool and he is one of the best people I know for it,' said Wen Qing, 'I just wish this had been easier but he is right that it needed to be said. I only wish...'

Lan Wangji kept his eyes averted as Wen Qing hastily wiped away a tear, not wanting to intrude if her tears what not something she wished to share. She sighed, the sound rattling a little with emotion before she placed her hands neatly in her lap once more, only the slight whiteness of her knuckles giving away any tension within her.

'One day, we will have an hour or so when we are at peace,' she said, 'I will happily grow old here in peace and quiet if we are allowed to.'

'If all goes as we wish it to, there will be more than this place for you,' said Lan Wangji, 'Your skills deserve to be recognised and shared.'

'Here is better,' said Wen Qing, 'Had I stepped outside...it doesn't matter any more anyway. What's done is done?'

Lan Wangji sighed, hearing the upset in her voice but unsure how to counter it, her moods and mannerisms so different from Wei Wuxian's and yet the desire to help was almost as strong as he reached for her tightening hands, his own almost dwarfing her tiny ones. He wondered at the skill of them though, the only hands he was sure that would be capable of the feat she had achieved regardless of the consequences.

'I am not good at offering comfort,' he said, 'But if you wish to talk, I am here for you. I may not be able to advise but I can listen. You can trust in my discretion.'

'You carry enough of our burdens.'

'We are family,' said Lan Wangji, 'Blood or not. Your cares are my cares. Your sorrows my sorrows. If you wish to talk, then I will listen. If you just need a companion for a while, I am adept at silence.'

Wen Qing laughed softly, her hands relaxing a little beneath his. 'I am glad I got to know this side of you,' she said before she sighed once more, 'I am not ready to put anything into words. Let's just say I had hopes and now those hopes have turned to dreams that will need to be forgotten. Fate has another plan for me.'

'I used to think the same and then the path I was on diverted here,' said Lan Wangji, 'Do not give up hope yet. Your path may change.'

'I thought you weren't very good at offering comfort.'

Lan Wangji smiled. 'A lucky chance,' he said, looking over to the cave, 'I hope they're alright.'

'She loves him dearly, she won't hurt him and she will be a good bridge between him and Jiang-Zongzhu.'

'I want more than a bridge between them right now,' he said, 'I do not blame Jiang Wanyin for his upset but he did not need to resort to violence.'

'I am sure it is an action he regrets,' said Wen Qing, 'He looked as shocked as the rest of us were after it happened.'

'If I had not moved into its path, Zidian would have done irreparable harm to Wei Ying,' said Lan Wangji, 'He could have died.'

'But he didn't,' said Wen Qing, 'And what happens from here on in between them is for them to resolve however we may feel about it. I am not saying you do not deserve to be aggrieved for your injury but between Wei Wuxian and Jiang-Zongzhu, they need to resolve things their way.'

Lan Wangji sighed, knowing there was truth in her words and that Wei Wuxian's relationship with the younger of his martial siblings had always been more physical in terms of conflict resolution. He wanted to spare Wei Wuxian any further pain but he accepted that he was a man more than capable of taking care of himself. Intelligent, resourceful, and determined, Wei Wuxian had dragged himself out of worse than a conflict with his martial sibling and Lan Wangji knew, even with the emotion involved, he would find a way out of his newest hardship. Despite that though, Lan Wangji knew he would be on hand in moments to protect his lover if he needed to.

The wait was agonising, Wen Qing disinclined towards conversation as they sat, eyes trained on the entrance to Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian's former room for movement either in or out. The village continued around them though he could sense the tension in villager and newly arrived allies alike. Everyone was no doubt aware of him crossing swords with Jiang Cheng and forming their own hypotheses as to why. He was only glad that he could not see A-Yuan nearby, the bloodstains on his clothes and the tension he was sure was palpable around him enough to worry the child who had always been so well attuned to all their emotions. He was sure Jiang Yanli, despite her worry when Wei Wuxian had first sent her out to find someone to take the children, had placed both Jin Ling and A-Yuan in the care of people she trusted. Wen-Popo's absence alongside that of the nurse who Jin Ling seemed to favour most leaving him with the hope that they were together somewhere and sweetly ignorant of the suffering of their parents.

He was barely aware that he still had hold of Wen Qing's hand until he caught sight of Jiang Cheng and Jin Zixuan making their way to the entrance to the cave, the woman making a lie of her much smaller stature as she kept him in place beside her.

'They need to do this on their own,' she said, 'He'll be alright.'

He forced aside every instinct that rose in him to go to Wei Wuxian as Jin Zixuan appeared to manhandle a more reluctant looking Jiang Cheng into the cave, relieved at least that the latter did not look set for a fight. His body felt as heavy as stone as he remained in his seat, listening out for the slightest sound of shouting and inwardly cursing that they had not settled closer. Wen Qing was equally tense beside him, certain her fingers itched for her needles as Lan Wangji's itched for Bichen still propped beside the crate in the cave.

He shook away the thought of Wei Wuxian being able to raise it in his own defence if it was needed, certain the spirit of the blade would recognise its owner's mate even if Lan Wangji was far from it. Though he hoped it would prove itself loyal to them both, he did not want to think of Wei Wuxian needing to use it, hoping that the presence of Jin Zixuan and Jiang Yanli would be a calming one.

He cursed the tension in him as the softly spoken inquiry beside him had him startling as though a ghost had leapt from the ground at his feet. Wen Qing hastening to mask her surprise behind her hand beside him.

'Hanguang-Jun,' said one of the younger Jiang disciples, 'Wen-Guniang. Wen-Gongzi sent me ahead from the gate. Zewu-Jun is here with a group from the Cloud Recesses. He is bringing them up to you.'

'Xiongzhang,' said Lan Wangji, getting to his feet, brushing at the clothes he wore as though it could improve them before giving it up swiftly as a lost cause, 'I should...'

'He will want to know about the attack and the prisoner,' said Wen Qing as the disciple stepped aside, 'Personal matters can wait. I can be here on Wei Wuxian's behalf until he is needed.'

'I...' began Lan Wangji, his words cut off at the sight of white and pale blue robes making their way towards them.

The group was small, barely enough to even be considered an adequate bodyguard considering both Lan Xichen and Lan Qiren were at the head of the band alongside Wen Ning. They looked drawn, tired, as though the road had been unkind and their pace fast, but he could see no sign of panic or injury to suggest they had met any obstacle to reach them, only that they had come with haste. Their faces were open, quick to greet those who spoke to them, pausing to ask after several who bore visible injuries but it was only brief, the pair of them soon catching sight of him and Wen Qing and heading towards them.

They were only a few breaths away when there was an urgent tug on his sleeve, too high to be A-Yuan, and he turned to see Jin Zixuan behind him.

'Wei Wuxian needs you,' he said, holding up a hand as Lan Wangji tensed, 'No one is injured but he needs you.'

'I will go to him.'

'Wangji.'

Lan Xichen's voice came like an icy plunge into the river, pulling him away from his path to Wei Wuxian. Concern knotted his brother's brow, scanning Lan Wangji's face before he took in the rest of him, eyes widening as they settled on his shoulder and the blood stain there.

'Wangji?' he said again, urgent rather than greeting.

'Xiongzhang,' he said, 'Shufu. I...I'm sorry. Wen Qing can explain. I have to go.'

Voices called after him, asking and then demanding that he return to them but he paid them no heed, the calls drowned out by the thunder of his heart as he hurried towards his former rooms. He was glad that Jiang Cheng and Jiang Yanli were absent, certain he would have not been able to keep his temper had he lain eyes on the Jiang Sect leader. His relief was short lived though as he saw Wei Wuxian sat against the wall, half in shadow, head tipped back and eyes trained on the ceiling.

'Wei Ying?' he said, unsure if his words reach the man they were intended for, 'Wei Ying? My love? What happened?'

'He did it for me,' whispered Wei Wuxian, 'He did it for me.'

'Who did what?' said Lan Wangji, crossing the floor and crouching before him, 'Wei Ying?'

'When they took him, Wen Chao's soldiers, when they took Jiang Cheng. He let them capture him. He led them off to save me. I knew they were there, I was going to fight them but he drew them away and let himself be captured, knowing what would happen. If he...if he'd just done as he was told. I could have fought them. I could have fought them and we would have been alright and I...I'd do it again. I don't regret what I did. Whatever I had to give up for him to survive and thrive, I'd do it but to think if he'd just let me fight.'

Lan Wangji's mind felt like a wheel spinning without cessation, trying to make sense of the words being spoken. Wei Wuxian had sacrificed his core to restore his martial brother to his birthright, had given up his position in the world so Jiang Cheng could regain his. A sacrifice that had sustained him for the rightness of it throughout all of the trials that had followed. The trauma of revealing the truth of his actions had been jarring enough for Wei Wuxian but to learn of another what if, that the choice of the man he had saved had made the saving necessary.

'So much could have been different,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I could...I don't regret it but if he'd let me fight, maybe I could have won and then I wouldn't be broken. I wouldn't be this.'

They whys and wherefores of what had happened so long before could wait as Wei Wuxian's words lanced through him like lightning, his hands grasping his shuddering shoulders.

'This is still perfect and strong and whatever happened is the past, it cannot be changed,' he said, 'You are still Wei Ying and you did what you did because you love harder and deeper than anyone I have ever known. Jiang Wanyin knew your worth and wanted to save you. You knew his and wanted to save him. I know if I had been in his position, if it was a choice of my life or Xiongzhang's, I would gladly be that sacrifice.'

Wei Wuxian swallowed hard, eyes dulled by his tears. 'Everything I touch gets ruined. I never get anything right.'

'You know that's not true,' said Lan Wangji, 'And when you have the benefit of time, this will feel easier. You could not have known, just as Jiang Wanyin could not have known. At least it explains why he was so angry. Believing he was healed by Baoshan Sanren would have been easier than knowing the truth especially when his intentions had been to save you and instead this was the outcome.'

'If I had been honest from the start perhaps this wouldn't hurt as much.'

'Perhaps not, but if...' he trailed off, not wanting to voice the thoughts that came to mind.

If Wei Wuxian had not lied about his core and his new cultivation, he would not have been ostracised. If he had not been ostracised he may not have been so willing, so determined to save those just as down trodden. He dared not let his mind turn to the thoughts of their Burial Mounds family meeting their end in the Jin prison camps, their beloved A-Yuan a nameless Wen in an unmarked grave.

'Lan Zhan?' said Wei Wuxian, 'If what?'

Lan Wangji shook his head, 'It is unnecessary to speak something that will never be,' he said, 'Just remember that you did what you did out of love and nothing will ever change that. Allow this to be a bridge of understanding between you and Jiang Wanyin when time has passed. You are brothers, blood or no, and you both did what you thought best when the world was against you.'

'I'm so tired, Lan Zhan,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Tired of getting things wrong, of fate laughing at me. I'm tired of fighting.'

'A little longer,' said Lan Wangji, 'Just a little longer to fight and then you can rest. The battle is nearly done. I know it is not what you want to hear right now but Xiongzhang and Shufu arrived not long ago. They will want to see you and I have probably not put either of them in the best of moods, I came to you when I should have been greeting them.'

Wei Wuxian sighed but forced a smile to his lips, 'Well, Lan-Xiansheng was probably going to be stringing me up by my entrails anyway so if he's even more annoyed at me then at least he might make it quick,' he said, 'Hopefully he will spare you though. Just give me a moment or two and we can go out and greet them properly.'

'Take as long as you need,' said Lan Wangji, 'If we intend to tell them everything anyway, you need to be ready and they will understand that you needed time. These last few days have not been easy ones.'

'Sit by me a while,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I need your peace. Whatever lies before us now, I just want one more moment of just you and I. You've always made me stronger, Lan Zhan.'

Lan Wangji did not voice the thought that the strength Wei Wuxian found was only ever a reflection of his own, knowing time would come for such things but in that moment quiet was a better option. The stone was cold and coarse against his back as he settled next to him but he paid it no mind even when his injury protested, instead wrapping an arm around his lover as he leaned into him, pressing a kiss to his hair that was mussed with stress and toil.

The world outside pressed upon them. Duty and necessity were demanding mistresses but for a moment they allowed peace to reign. The quiet would not last, their solitude would not last, but their shared strength would.

Chapter 28: A Map

Notes:

Hi all. Apologies for the delay in posting, if I am entirely honest I have struggled to get this out due to some experiences after the last chapter that I won't go into but you will notice I have turned on comment moderation as a result. Thank you to those who have been supportive of this story, their happy ending is not far off now and I hope you enjoy the last few chapters as they come.

Chapter Text

There were still some spiteful spirits in the Burial Mounds, or at least that was what Wei Wuxian told himself instead of admitting it was his own lack of self worth that made him wait longer than he intended with Lan Wangji at his side, waiting for the moment duty and upbringing would draw his lover from his side and back out into the world that would still accept him if Wei Wuxian was not with him. The voices that whispered abandonment though were growing quieter as Lan Wangji never stirred from his place beside him, quiet and calming as he always was. There was no complaint about the cold floor or the rough stone at their backs, instead he sat with Wei Wuxian's hand cradled in his, breathing even and deep in a way that Wei Wuxian couldn't help but mimic.

Finally, when the voice was nothing but a whisper, he turned enough to see his face, eyes closed but fluttering the moment they felt Wei Wuxian's stare.

'How are you feeling?' said Lan Wangji, tightening his grip on his hand.

'Like I've been in a battle and taken more hits than I should have,' said Wei Wuxian, honestly, 'I feel bruised and it aches.'

'An injury to the heart can be just as painful as anything to the body,' said Lan Wangji, 'But both are capable of healing with time, even if a scar may remain.'

Wei Wuxian smiled, 'My philosopher,' he said, letting his head rest against his shoulder, 'I don't want to move and face the world but we have made them wait long enough. Lan-Xiansheng will be angry with me.'

Lan Wangji pressed a kiss to his hair, 'Shufu is always angry with you,' he said, 'But they are aware of what the arrive on the back of in terms of the attack. I left Wen Qing to explain to them though I am not sure what she chose to say. Jin Zixuan was there as well. I am sure both with placate our guests whilst protecting those involved.'

'Still, not the impression I wanted to give especially with what we planned to tell them,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Zewu-Jun, might I have permission to marry Lan Zhan, I will ensure he is rude to all his guests and makes them wait to be formally welcomed even when they have come to help?'

Lan Wangji laughed softly, 'Perhaps best not to put it like that,' he said, 'And we have already had this discussion, I am marrying you and no one will change that. My life and your life are meant to be lived side by side.'

'I just hope you don't lose anything for it,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I can't give you everything you deserve but your happiness at least I want to ensure and I know that involves your family.'

'And I trust they want my happiness too, even if it is not what they may have planned for me,' said Lan Wangji.

Wei Wuxian was silent, forcing away the dark thoughts crowding his head and pressing at all the bruised places inside of him. He willed the clock to turn back, to when the only thoughts of the world outside was how well they ignored them in their Burial Mounds home, when the snow had kept so many from their door. He knew it was an existence that would not endure though, the depravation alone too much for them to bear for long.

With a sigh, he tightened his grip on Lan Wangji's hand. 'We should go out to them.'

'As long as you are ready,' said Lan Wangji, 'Because once we leave here, we are on that road to its end. Have you thought about what you want to say about Jiang Wanyin?'

Wei Wuxian nodded, shaking off the doubt that rushed him. 'If you trust in their discretion then I will as well but I only want to share the tale with Lan-Xiansheng and Zewu-Jun, no one else. I should consult Jiang Cheng but I do not think he will know how to react and I don't want to make things worse. It is hard to know the right path but I owe them my honesty and he does not bear any blame. He was an unwilling victim if they want to paint me as a villain for it.'

'Whatever their thoughts, know there is someone in this world who will always see what you did as the most brave and beautiful sacrifice for someone you loved,' said Lan Wangji, 'I have heard you say duty and debt so often but I know, when I try to place myself in your mindset back then, that only love would allow a man to do what you did. I will always be proud of your courage. I will always be proud of you.'

'Haven't I cried enough today?' said Wei Wuxian, 'I want so badly to hide in here forever with you. I fell like nothing can hurt me when I'm with you like this.'

'I hope now that most of the hurt has passed and you will be able to heal, that we all will.'

'Let's just hope nothing more steps in our way. I know I will only rest when the people we care for are finally safe and for that, I'm going to need Lan-Zongzhu's help,' said Wei Wuxian, 'We should go to him.'

Lan Wangji nodded, raising their joined hands to his lips, 'Whatever happens, here I remain.'

Wei Wuxian wanted to keep hold of his hand but knew it would be better to wait until their truth had been told.

The sun was warm and bright after the cool dimness of the cave, Wei Wuxian having to shield his eyes for a moment before they cleared enough to reveal the village at work as though nothing from the morning had come to pass. Jiang disciple worked alongside Wen villager, some even taking up the tunes that had warmed Wei Wuxian's heart when he and Lan Wangji had come down from the top of the irrigation system, but it was the sight of Lan Qiren sat amongst the elder women with A-Yuan perched neatly on his lap as the two talked quietly was what gave him pause.

He dared to spare a look to Lan Wangji, seeing the soft turn of his lips into a smile at the sight. There was no fear or worry in his demeanour, instead love and comfort eased Wei Wuxian's own nerves as they crossed the short distance to where they were seated.

It was A-Yuan who spotted them first, his smile widening as he tugged with little concern on the fall of Lan Qiren's hair to alert him of their arrival.

'Zhan-Gege, Xian-Gege, Lan-Shushu says I've grown since he came last,' he said happily, 'He says one day I will be as tall as you are and I will be as strong too. He's come to help us make sure the bad men don't come to break things again. He had a frowny face when Jin-Gongzi told him about the bad people but I told him that the nice people from the town came to help which is good.'

'You can both rest assured that I have been entertained in your absence,' said Lan Qiren, his tone brusque but laced with a gentleness Wei Wuxian had not often heard, 'I trust you are feeling better.'

Wei Wuxian resisted pressing a hand to his cheek to hide the colour he was certain had risen there, 'Adequately for the moment,' he said, 'Please forgive me that I wasn't here to welcome you as I should have been and please don't be annoyed with Lan Zhan, he has been our strength for the last few days and I am afraid I have become reliant on his help.'

'I have lived through an attack on my own home, Wei Wuxian, I can understand how trying things have been for you since the attack on yours. I am only glad to see that work has already begun to rebuild whilst offering my sincerest condolences for all that has occurred. We came as soon as we could. Xichen has gone to see the wounded with Wen-Guniang.'

'Qing-Gugu is a good doctor,' said A-Yuan, 'Is Zewu-Jun a doctor too?'

Lan Qiren shook his head, 'Not a doctor but he has learned a lot about medicine and may be able to offer a different perspective. A different way of looking at things.'

A-Yuan nodded. 'He might have a new idea to make someone better.'

'That's right,' said Lan Qiren, 'It can help to look at things from another direction.'

'Like the man from Yiling who knows about building houses and told us we were doing it wrong.'

'Just like that,' said Lan Qiren, guiding the boy off his lap and onto his feet, 'Can you find your way back to Popo?'

A-Yuan frowned, 'Can I stay with you?'

Lan Qiren shook his head, 'Not now but we will be staying for a while and you will need to show me your reading.'

'And maybe my egg will hatch when you're here and we'll have a chick.'

'Let me see the egg?' said Lan Qiren, examining it as A-Yuan held it out to him, fingers stroking at his beard, 'Allow me to...'

He waved a hand over A-Yuan's, the egg disappearing from view much to the child's surprise before Lan Qiren reached up to his ear, the egg reappearing between his fingers.

'Well it appears to already be travelling on its own so it may well hatch soon,' said Lan Qiren, placing it gently back in his hand, 'Keep it safe on the way back to Popo.'

A-Yuan beamed, 'I will. Zhan-Gege, Lan-Shushu made my egg move on its own. Did you see? Can you make eggs move on their own too.'

'I have not tried,' said Lan Wangji, as A-Yuan skipped up to him, 'Though I recall him doing similar with a loquat when I was not much bigger than you.'

'Can we show Lan-Shushu our song on the qin later on?' said A-Yuan, the egg and the loquat quickly forgotten, 'Xian-Gege will you play too?'

Wei Wuxian did not allow the doubt that such comfortable relations may not exist later in the day to show on his face as he gently pinched the boy's round cheek, 'I am sure I can be persuaded if you are good and help Popo nicely for the rest of the day.'

'I will,' said A-Yuan, the stresses of the morning and all that had happened before chased away easily with a few kind words from their newest arrivals.

As A-Yuan skipped away from them, Wei Wuxian knew the happiness was fleeting, the trauma of everything the boy had lived through simmering close to the surface and liable to explode out at any given moment. He could only hold onto the thin shred of hope that their would be nothing more to provoke it when he and Lan Wangji shared everything with Lan Qiren and Lan Xichen.

'Your injury,' said Lan Qiren, 'Was it sustained during the battle?'

Lan Wangji shook his head, 'I was not injured during the attack,' he said, 'I will explain the origin of this when we have found Xiongzhang.'

Lan Qiren frowned but nodded, 'As you wish,' he said, 'I told him we would find him as soon as you were able to. There is a lot we need to discuss and we will need to speak with the prisoner. Jin-Gongzi has also stated that he would like to talk with Xichen so we have much to be getting on with.'

Wei Wuxian followed as Lan Qiren got to his feet and headed towards the makeshift hospital, glad that Lan Wangji was happy to answer questions about their rebuilding process and what had been lost in the attack. He only hoped the promises of further assistance from the sect would be upheld once the older man knew of their relationship. He kept his hands tucked behind his back in the effort not to worry the skin around his nails with his teeth, certain if his hair was not already mussed from the morning's work and the unexpected meeting with the floor when Lan Wangji had saved him from Zidian's sting it would be standing every which way from his fingers running through it from the stress.

He longed to reach for Lan Wangji's hand, press close to his side to match his breathing, his solid presence enough to always chase of the worst of Wei Wuxian's anxiety but he knew it would be a while until he would be able to take such a perceived liberty in front of their guests. He was certain, even if their marriage was permitted, it would be many years before Lan Qiren would be at all happy with the closeness that the Wens had soon grown used to even before he and Lan Wangji had confessed their feelings to one another.

The rows of beds were neat and tidy when they arrived, Wen Qing moving in and out of them on instinct as she worked whilst Lan Xichen had settled beside the bed of one of the injured who would hopefully be back on his feet in a few weeks, his injuries severe but not life changing as some of them had suffered. Wei Wuxian had no wish to use the suffering of his people to keep his allies on side but he hoped that the compassion of their new arrivals would overcome everything else and retain their help if only for those who truly needed it.

The absence of Jiang Cheng, Jiang Yanli and Jin Zixuan was both a comfort and a curse, leaving him free to speak with Lan Wangji's family without any further encumbrance but also leaving him to wonder just what would come next from the people he had come to rely on nearly as much as GusuLan. He forced the thoughts aside though as Lan Xichen rose from beside the bed, passing a friendly farewell with his companion before he made his way over to them.

Wei Wuxian clasped his hands tightly before him as he bowed, hope to conceal the tremble in them, wishing he had Chenqing with him to give his fingers something to occupy them rather than worrying his threadbare robes.

'Wei-Gongzi, I trust you are feeling better,' said Lan Xichen, 'And Wangji, you're injury...'

'We will explain everything,' said Lan Wangji, 'But rest assured we are in no danger save for that which comes from outside.'

Lan Xichen's face darkened at his words. 'I am so sorry for the loss you have suffered. Wen-Guniang and Wen-Gongzi have both given me details of what happened in the battle and Jin-Gongzi the aftermath. I had feared a great many things but a full out attack was not something I thought would occur.'

'Jin Gunagshan knows opinion is moving in our favour, he wants to prevent that,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Our prisoner confessed that he was told to make it seem as though the attack on the people bringing the delivery were from here. He wants to turn the world against us.'

'If that is true then it is a grave offence,' said Lan Xichen, 'And one that should be punished.'

'Shall we talk away from others,' said Lan Wangji, 'These people have already lived through the battle, they do not need to hear it retold. We are holding the prisoner further in.'

The network of rooms cut into the mountain had been swiftly repurposed, surviving furniture either stored or set out for when it was needed. So little had survived that it felt no different to when they first arrived, scratching together what they could build or barter for in Yiling. Everything crooked and chipped and in need of repair. The words seemed adequate to describe him as well, every part of him feeling brittle and liable to break under the slightest strain.

He dared spare a glance to Lan Wangji, his face calm and impassive, the cool demeanour the world knew well but he could see the slight pinch at his lips and the faint wrinkle at the corner of his eye that spoke of his tension as well. He took some strength from it, knowing in the worry there was determination that they would finally achieve what they had long desired both for themselves and for the village, however hard they had to fight.

The journey to the holding cell was silent, Lan Xichen and Lan Qiren not offering any comments or questions even as Lan Wangji lowered and raised the simple barriers they had put in place to secure their uninvited guest. Two of the Jiang disciples who had been given charge of the prisoner rose to their feet as they entered but it was the sight of Mianmian with them that gave Wei Wuxian pause. Though he was sure no one had informed her of the particulars of the arguments between him and Jiang Cheng, she had an uncanny ability to know what was needed, her presence enough to secure their prisoner if the Jiang support was suddenly withdrawn. An almost silent presence unless she was needed to be otherwise, an emissary between them and Yiling since she had returned with Jiang Yanli, and a regular member of their night watch. She was a welcome addition to their Burial Mounds family and he held the hope of being able to ask her to stay with them if they found themselves with a secure enough future for the offer to be valid.

If Lan Qiren and Lan Xichen were shocked to see her, they gave no outward indication, greeting her with the usual politeness.

'Luo-Guniang,' said Lan Xichen, 'It is a pleasure to see you again. I had heard you were assisting the people here.'

'I aim to be where I am needed and to help those most in need,' she replied, 'I returned to Yiling the day of the attack and have been happy to help since, including ensuring things are kept as they should be in here.'

'I am glad to see so many are willing to help those in need,' said Lan Xichen, 'And I hope you will continue to do so. Wei-Zongzhu, Wangji, I trust you will understand that Shufu and I would like to speak with the prisoner alone. In view of being unbiased, we should question him without you present, if you are all willing to wait outside.'

Wei Wuxian nodded, 'You are welcome to and you can compare what you are told against the signed confession Jin Zixuan has,' he said, 'We will raise the barrier so your conversation is private but all you need do is press on it if you need assistance.'

'We will do so,' said Lan Xichen, 'Once we have spoken with him, we will discuss what happens next.'

He knew it made sense for Lan Xichen and Lan Qiren to see their prisoner without anyone else present but the nagging feeling that the confession that had been their hope since the attack would be changed would not leave him as they stepped beyond the barrier to the chamber where the prisoner was held, the sound of their conversation silenced by the charm.

'We will send for you when you are needed again,' said Lan Wangji to the two Jiang disciples who hovered awkwardly with nothing to employ them, 'If you are due to change with others, please ask them to wait at the entrance and we will send for them.'

With bows and a swift acknowledgement of their orders, the disciples headed away down the twisting corridors to the main hall, leaving them alone with Mianmian who leaned back against the wall with her brow pinched in concern.

'Jin Zixuan asked me to come in and mind things here,' she said, 'I didn't ask the reason why but if you need me for anything else, you only have to ask.'

'You have done enough as it is,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I wish there was more I could do in return.'

Mianmian shook her head, 'I don't do this for reward,' she said, 'I do this so that innocent people may live freely. I hope before too long that they may do so.'

'I think the coming hours will certainly give us an idea of what is to come,' said Lan Wangji.

'There are many you can rely on here who are more than willing to fight for your cause,' said Mianmian, 'The people of Yiling are here to support you more and more every day. If I am not needed here, Shi-Gongzi had some work he needed assistance with.'

'We will be fine,' said Lan Wangji, 'I am sure Xiongzhang and Shufu will be some time yet.'

'I won't be far if needed,' said Mianmian, her expression a little more relaxed but clearly on guard to answer any need.

'Shi-Gongzi?' said Wei Wuxian when she was out of sight, 'He's one of the merchants that arrived two days ago. Young man, fairly well put together. She seems happy to be assisting him.'

'And if she is happy, you will not get involved,' said Lan Wangji, 'I think we will soon have more to worry about. I hope the story will be reported to Xiongzhang as it was to Jin Zixuan and that he will be happy to support us with all we wish to do.'

'I do not like to say it but he has yet to fully support us despite his generosity,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Though I hope he will not overlook this, I cannot trust to hope yet.'

Lan Wangji sighed, 'Xiongzhang is a peacemaker and a peacekeeper. It is his greatest strength and his greatest weakness. In this though, in the slaughter of innocents who have done all that was asked of them and did so under the protection of our sect, he would not be the man I know if he turned aside once more. Shufu may not approve of all he sees but he knows these people now, sees them for who they are. We can trust he will fight for them.'

'I hope you're right, even if I... I just want them to be free.'

Lan Wangji's hand was warm and strong as it took hold of his, 'You should not have to sacrifice your wants for theirs though I know you would just as I would but your needs are as valid. We have yet to speak to Shufu about his research, he may have found a way to allow you to maintain your power until such time as it is no longer needed.'

'I cannot even begin to think how to broach the subject of us,' said Wei Wuxian, running his thumb over Lan Wangji's knuckles, the skin rough from work and the elements.

'Directly, when the moment comes,' said Lan Wangji, 'Think too much now and you will tie yourself in knots. Instead, be patient and let them talk.'

He wanted nothing more than to bury himself in the familiar comfort of Lan Wangji's arms but he knew, however they were to reveal their love to his family, it would not be best to be caught in such a fashion and face an uphill battle. He squeezed the hand holding his, the answering smile one of the rare ones Lan Wangji shared only with those he held close, reserved mostly, it seemed, for him and A-Yuan.

Though he knew the wait was not long, every moment of it felt interminable. His mind refusing to still and turning itself inside out with worries and what ifs that did nothing but fill his body with a tension even Lan Wangji's soothing touch could not ease. He wanted to find something to occupy him but at the same time knew he would not stir from his place beside the cell until Lan Qiren and Lan Xichen emerged from it.

He longed for the wait though as the barrier activated and they appeared once more before him but it was chased away at the sight of them, ashen faced and more serious than he was sure he had ever seen them even when they had been scolding him in former years.

'I had thought there would be some reasoning,' said Lan Xichen as the barrier raised behind him, 'I thought there would be something, even the smallest thing, that would be held to justify it but it was no more than a cruel massacre intended to completely destroy the village and further damage your name. I am sorry. I am sorry I ever let it get this far, that I have aligned myself as neutrally as possible in the hope of preventing further bloodshed and instead I have just allowed more to occur. I will not ask for your forgiveness in this, Wei-Zongzhu, but I will earn it. I will earn it in seeing that Jin Guangshan answers for his crimes.'

'That anyone should behave like that,' said Lan Qiren, 'Especially one who spoke out against the excesses of Wen Ruohan. There is no doubt from the account given that this was premeditated. There is no room for misinterpretation. Those people were sent to murder.'

Wei Wuxian forced away the angry parts of him that wanted to argue that it should not have taken so long for them to realise that the death of the Wens had always been Jin Guangshan's intent. He knew there would be time in the future to raise such words when his people were safe and the perpetrator punished but, in that moment, he needed to bring his allies as close as he could even if they had not been so staunchly so.

'It has always been his intent,' said Wei Wuxian, 'From the moment Jin Zixun ambushed Wen Ning and I on the Qiongyi Path. He wishes for me to take the blame for the crimes he has committed, he craves power and acclaim and will do anything to achieve it. He is a dangerous man and, once he has had his way with us, he will find a new target.'

'I sadly find myself in agreement with you,' said Lan Xichen, 'And it must be prevented. Be assured we stand with you wholeheartedly and I am certain that Chifeng-Zun will speak the same. I sent word to him when I was on the road and do not doubt he awaits further communication to come to your aid if required. Your prisoner is willing to confess before the sects, he asks for no reprieve for it either. I believe his treatment here, which he assured me has been just and kind despite his crimes, has made him see the error of his ways. We have a great deal to discuss. With Jiang-Zongzhu present, we can establish their position and Jin-Gongzi's presence here says much already. Can we gather everyone together?'

'Xiongzhang,' said Lan Wangji, 'There are some matters Wei Ying and I want to discuss with you before we speak to the others. Matters that may affect how we move forward.'

'I have recently made some breakthroughs in my research as well,' said Lan Qiren, 'Which would be better discussed only with those concerned. Is there somewhere we can go?'

'It is not truly fit for a meeting but there is a place that has already proved its use today,' said Lan Wangji, 'Allow me to fetch the guards and then we can return there.'

Wei Wuxian wanted to offer to go himself, lingering awkwardly as Lan Wangji went to retrieve whoever was on hand to guard their prisoner and forcibly keeping his mouth shut for fear of what he would say if he gave himself leave to speak. Lan Qiren though seemed intent on giving him enough rope to hang himself with the question he posed.

'When the attack came, did you use your own cultivation?'

Wei Wuxian nodded, 'There was no choice, they would have overwhelmed us otherwise,' he said, 'I didn't want to. I don't want to pull the dead from their graves, especially when Lan Zhan and I have sought to bring peace to the mountain, but my people were dying. I had no choice.'

'Your prisoner says there was only death, no barbarity,' said Lan Qiren, 'Each death of his fellows by the hand of one of your ghosts was swift and clean.'

'I have no desire to torture people, even if they deserve it,' said Wei Wuxian, 'All I wanted was to save as many lives as possible. I know I made a promise but I expected the rest of the world to keep theirs.'

'Your hand was forced and your people hurt,' said Lan Qiren, 'Your use of your cultivation was proportionate to the threat you faced. You were not cruel and you have shown kindness to your enemy since. You have given me confidence that you can manage this cultivation though I hope we have found ways to amend it. Did it hurt you?'

'It always hurts,' said Wei Wuxian, 'But, for their sake, I will take it. If I can stop another one of them dying before their time, I will take the pain. I...'

Approaching feet cut off his words, Lan Wangji leading two Jiang disciples towards them. His brow creased into a frown as he regarded them, looking between Lan Qiren and Wei Wuxian in silent question.

'Let's find somewhere more suitable,' said Wei Wuxian, offering him a small smile.

The Jiang disciples took their places behind the barrier, the prisoner and his confession guarded once more as Wei Wuxian led Lan Xichen and Lan Qiren back towards the main hall with Lan Wangji at his side. He clenched his hand at his side where it wanted to reach for him, his mind running over where Lan Qiren had been going with his questioning about his actions in the battle that had been brought to them. He looked down to see Lan Wangji's hand in the same solid grip, resisting the need to take the familiar comfort.

As they reached the main hall, he paused at the sight of Jiang Cheng once more working beside Wen Qing. He searched the latter's expression for discomfort in doing so but she seemed as relaxed as she could be with yet more people having descended upon them. She nodded as she caught his eye, the gesture enough to stave off worry for a while before she turned back to her task. Jiang Cheng's response was a little more complex as he caught sight of them, hesitating for a moment before tradition won out and he excused himself from the person he was with and headed towards them.

'Lan-Xiansheng, Zewu-Jun, forgive me that I wasn't around the greet you earlier,' he said with a bow that belied any of the tension in the room.

'Rebuilding a village and tending the injured can be chaotic,' said Lan Xichen, 'Things must be prioritised. We are just glad to know they have so much support.'

'Jin-Xiandu's recent actions are unacceptable,' said Jiang Cheng, 'These people are innocent.'

'Something we hope to prove without doubt very soon,' said Lan Xichen, 'And I am sure all will be grateful for your support.'

Jiang Cheng nodded, 'Whatever is needed,' he said, 'When you wish to talk to me, I will be here.'

'We have some things to discuss with Wei-Zongzhu first but I do not want to delay too long,' said Lan Xichen, 'As soon as we are ready, we will send for you.'

'I'll be waiting,' said Jiang Cheng.

Wei Wuxian hesitated a moment, certain if he spoke too much would be revealed in the wrong place. A warm hand brushed his as Lan Wangji stepped passed him, heading to the door.

'Shall we continue?' he said, 'There is much to discuss. Shufu, Xiongzhang, if you will follow me.'

It was enough to move everyone along, Wei Wuxian stepping back to let his guests pass him and trying not to leap out of his own skin as Jiang Cheng took hold of his wrist. Lan Wangji's sharp intake of breath caught his attention, his eyes wide and sharp as he looked between the two of them. Though Wei Wuxian feared what Jiang Cheng wanted his attention for, he did not yet want to give Lan Xichen and Lan Qiren any concern over their relationship.

'I'll follow on,' he said, keeping his voice as neutral as he could, 'I won't be a moment.'

He thought for a moment that Lan Wangji would argue before he nodded briefly and continued to lead his brother and uncle away.

The grip on his wrist did not lessen until they were out of sight but it was not tight enough to be painful, Jiang Cheng's fingers cool and relaxed until he finally let him go.

'I know we can't talk now,' he said, 'You need to talk to Zewu-Jun but I wanted to say, whatever we need to say to each other, you don't need to worry about my support for the people here. Even if...I won't stop fighting for their freedom or yours. YunmengJiang will stand with YilingWei.'

Wei Wuxian turned to better face him, Jiang Cheng's face worried and drawn, a heaviness in him that had only grown since the massacre at Lotus Pier but seeming all the greater since the morning. He knew there was much for them to talk over, things that would take time to heal, things that needed far more time than they would have in the coming days but he was not foolish enough to make war when peace was needed if only for the good of others.

'Thank you,' he said, wanting to say more but knowing the time was not right, 'I should go.'

Jiang Cheng nodded, stepping back. 'If you need to tell them anything then do what you need to,' he said, 'You've done more than enough to protect me. I'm not afraid of what others might say.'

Wei Wuxian raised a hand, shaking as he placed it against Jiang Cheng's cheek. It was a gesture that had once passed so often between them after moments of conflict, a touch that grounded them both and reminded them that no matter how different they were or how often they fought, they were side by side for a reason. It had once been enough and, though it wasn't any more, it was the beginning of the long road they would need to walk together in the hope of healing what remained between them.

'They will know that you had no part in the decision,' he said, lowering his hand, 'When I can, I'll find you and we'll talk, properly this time.'

Jiang Cheng nodded, 'Go on, save the world again,' he said with a small smile, 'Then we'll talk.'

Wei Wuxian's steps were a little lighter despite the weight of their future that was still settled on him as he left the main hall and headed back to the scene of so much upheaval that morning, wondering how much more was to come when he spoke with Lan Wangji's family. He pushed aside thoughts of conversations with Jiang Cheng, focusing instead on the one before him. He had no doubt that, whatever happened, Lan Wangji would remain at his side but he had no desire to separate him from the family he loved even if he loved his Burial Mounds one just as dearly.

He entered the room, not to the stony silence he had anticipated but instead to soft conversation, only snippets of words audible but Wei Wuxian could hear the concern and the gentleness in them. When Lan Wangji looked up at him, he saw tears misting his eyes but he smiled all the same.

'I was telling them about A-Yuan's chickens,' he said, 'Shufu did not understand why he was so attached to that egg.'

'That poor child has suffered through so much,' said Lan Xichen, 'And yet all he did when he saw us was smile.'

'He continues to bring us hope, even in the darkest days,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I hope you both agree now, especially after all that has happened, that they deserve to be free.'

'We do,' said Lan Xichen, 'And we also have the tools to help you so that you can fulfil all that was asked. I think then, you will have no struggle bringing every clan to your cause and stopping any further persecution from Jin-Xiandu. You have been honest and have done all that was asked of you as best you could.'

Wei Wuxian swallowed hard, the words he needed to speak sticking in his throat as he was once more given the chance to not speak them entirely. He could maintain his core was destroyed by Wen Zhuliu, hope the truth now known by so many more than he ever intended would never come out and prove him a liar, and they could find a way later for Lan Wangji to claim a relationship with him not built when he had been stationed as his guard. He knew though that the truth would come out as it had done that morning, spoken innocently without thought. A moment of reminiscence or a twist of a fact all it would take. He knew he would not find peace until the truth was in the hands of the men before him, even if it came with personal cost.

Lan Wangji got to his feet, leaving his seat between Lan Xichen and Lan Qiren and crossing to his side. Wei Wuxian longed for his hand in his but he knew it was too soon for such intimacy. The solid presence beside him was enough though, no words needed to reassure him that he had someone on his side.

His bravery was not quite in hand to tell the men before him of the love affair that had blossomed in their Burial Mounds home and so he instead sat with Lan Wangji at his side and told the whole truth of his core. He wondered if perhaps he would look back with alarm that such a painful, personal recollection felt like the lesser of two evils to speak but the story tripped easier off his tongue than the request to marry the man he loved.

His audience was silent, their faces moving from confusion at being told the same story to horror as they truth was revealed in full. He caught Lan Xichen's gaze moving from him to Lan Wangji, his expression one Wei Wuxian knew he wore himself whenever worries over Jiang Cheng's safety were heavy upon him. He knew at least that the first Jade of Lan understood the decisions Wei Wuxian had made, that the protection of a beloved younger sibling would always be paramount regardless of the cost.

As the story came to a close, he let his head drop, unable to bear witness to the accusations or horror that would soon grace the faces before him. Lan Wangji's hand strayed into his vision, finally lacing their fingers together, the touch lending him a little strength but not yet enough to look the others in the eye.

'Wei Wuxian,' came Lan Qiren's gruff, quiet voice after too long a silence, 'What you did was as foolish as it was brave. Though I wish you had trusted us with the whole truth sooner, I understand your reticence for the sake of Jiang Wanyin.'

'I feared if people knew,' said Wei Wuxian, 'That they would think him evil because their was a part of me within him. When the operation was attempted though none of this had begun. I know we never agreed but back then my cultivation was as it should be. My core...Jiang Cheng's core was never tainted by what I do now and he...'

'Wei-Zongzhu,' said Lan Xichen, cutting him off, 'There is no doubt thrown onto Jiang-Zongzhu's character because of this and I swear that our knowledge of this will go no further without explicit permission from those involved. I do not think the other sect leaders need to know how your core was truly lost to understand your need to find alternative means to help those you are protecting.'

'Just know you cannot continue to protect them if you are again so reckless,' said Lan Qiren, 'You are lucky that Wen-Guniang's skill and fortune were on your side. The outcome could have been far worse than the one you are facing now.'

Wei Wuxian nodded, finally finding the ability to raise his head to meet the concerned expressions before him. 'I am aware of my duty here now,' he said, 'But if recklessness could save even one life I cannot promise I will not be so again. I would have risked everything even for a ten percent chance to save Jiang Cheng. I have risked everything and lost much to keep these people safe. I will continue to risk what is needed for them to survive and thrive.'

Lan Qiren shook his head with a sigh but there was no anger in it. 'There are times when you are far too much like your mother.'

The familiar lance of pain was dulled by the strange thread of fondness that crept into Lan Qiren's voice but Wei Wuxian was glad of the fingers that squeezed his all the same.

'I am sure Cangse-Qianbei would be proud of all Wei Ying has achieved,' said Lan Wangji, 'He is a brave, clever and resourceful leader and I know he would do anything for those he cares for. Though I too hope he can face a future where such recklessness is not required.'

'We can hopefully ensure it is so,' said Lan Xichen, 'Though we came with more haste on the receipt of Jin-Furen's letter, we were on our way to you all the same. Shufu has made significant progress in his research and we believe we have solutions that will allow Wei-Zongzhu to continue to have the strength to defend his people but without the techniques being so abhorred by the rest of the world and without the need to rely on the Yin Hu Fu. We have also found a way for Wen Ning to remain in the world without him being viewed as too significant a threat.'

Wei Wuxian tightened his grip on Lan Wangji's hand, 'Are you certain?' he said, 'Please tell me you are certain.'

'As certain as we can be in theory,' said Lan Xichen, 'Though we will need your input and some luck that it isn't just theory alone that we are working with.'

'Tell me?' said Wei Wuxian, whatever confessions they had planned forgotten in favour of keeping Wen Ning and the others safe, 'Tell me what you've found.'

'The first is an ancient piece of music designed to tether a spirit to the player alone for a short duration,' said Lan Xichen, 'We have already seen changes we can make to make the effects permanent but we will need assistance from you to curate it to Wen Ning's situation. If it works as we hope it will though, it will tether control of Wen Ning to you alone so no one else can manipulate him and restrict his power enough that he will not be a significant threat without your command whilst maintaining the ability to defend himself if necessary.'

'You would allow for him to be controlled by me?' said Wei Wuxian, his hand trembling despite Lan Wangji's grip.

'You have proven several times that you do not use him as a weapon unless deeply provoked,' said Lan Xichen, 'There would be rules of course and I think it would be prudent if he did not go far from wherever you end up settled but he is far less of a risk and far less of a target if it is you and you alone who can control him.'

'But would he still be himself when I wasn't?' said Wei Wuxian, 'He deserves to have as full a life as possible, not to be a thoughtless puppet.'

'I cannot say for certain but that is where we will need your input,' said Lan Xichen, 'You have a greater insight into his abilities than we do. When we have finished here, we can study what we have found and share it with Wen Ning.'

Wei Wuxian nodded, 'He will need to be happy for us to do so,' he said, 'I can't...it's his life.'

'One I hope we can preserve,' said Lan Xichen, 'I believe the link will mean his life will be very much tied to yours though. He will live whilst you live and die when you die.'

'I can safely say that he would seek only to live long enough to see his family protected and thriving. To live longer would meaning have to remember for longer.'

'A burden we all must consider if we seek to cultivate to longevity,' said Lan Qiren, 'This way, he will not become a phantom feared by those who would peddle stories of the fearsome Gui Jiangjun.'

'I hope the tales to fear become more of Jin Guangshan than anyone here,' said Wei Wuxian, 'If we can do this safely, I cannot see what could stop us from pursuing it.'

'Then for those sects who may yet be undecided, we have executed another demand that was laid out for you,' said Lan Xichen, 'Our next barrier is the Yin Hu Fu.'

'If you can guarantee that these people will be safe, that they won't have to fear retribution for Wen Ruohan's crimes any more then I will find a way to destroy it,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Even if it means I end up being nothing. Just promise me someone will protect them.'

'You will never be nothing,' said Lan Wangji, 'Not to those who care about you and I will always be here to take care of the Wens. If you cannot protect them, I will.'

'That would take a considerable commitment, Wangji,' said Lan Xichen, his expression part amused with something beneath that Wei Wuxian could not read, 'Even if all the sects pledged to leave YilingWei in peace, you would have minor factions with personal grudges. You may find yourself here for many years to come.'

Wei Wuxian turned enough to see the myriad of expressions cross Lan Wangji's face, expressions those who did not know him would have missed for how minute they were in their changes, but Wei Wuxian could read them all the same. Relief, confusion, understanding, followed by a dawning horror that was tempered by curiosity as his older brother smiled.

'Did you think we had not worked it out?' said Lan Xichen, 'Since my first visit here, I have known where your future was.'

'And I have suspected as much since Xichen first told me who would stand for us here in our protection of the Wens,' said Lan Qiren, 'Though I hoped to pull you away from it, I soon realised that your stubbornness far outstretched my will. The question is, has it already begun?'

Wei Wuxian was certain the floor had swung up and hit him in the face or that the dangers of his cultivation that the world had warned him of had finally gotten the better of him and completely addled his mind. He looked between the faces surrounding him; Lan Qiren perturbed but resigned, Lan Xichen calm and knowing but it was Lan Wangji's face that convinced him of the truth of what he was hearing. The small soft smile on his lips was contented, relieved, a heartbeat away from tears that would bring joy rather than sorrow.

'Begun,' said Lan Wangji, 'Some time ago. I have wanted to tell you but I feared...'

Lan Xichen held up a hand, 'You have had many factors to consider, not least your position here,' he said, 'And, had I have formally known before this moment, perhaps I would have been inclined to act differently. Do Jiang-Zongzhu and Jin-Gongzi know?'

Lan Wangji nodded, 'They found out this morning,' he said, 'Though we had not intended for the news to break so soon. A-Yuan forgot himself for a moment.'

'That explains something of his reticence to speak of things when we arrived,' said Lan Qiren, 'I believed it to be the trauma of the battle but perhaps he was better guarding the secret.'

'We had intended to tell you,' said Wei Wuxian, sinking back a little as all eyes turned to him, 'And I...we...whilst we have grown close we have not been dishonourable. I know Lan Zhan could have so much more than what we have here but I promise if you allow us to marry then I will do everything to ensure we do nothing that would ever impede upon what you taught him and I will be good. I want to do what I can to help these people but I don't want anyone to follow my example in my cultivation. I would never expect Lan Zhan to do anything he shouldn't and the people here are all good, you've seen that, they're good and whilst we may have a small number of cultivators amongst us in the coming years it would be Lan Zhan who would oversee their teaching and...'

'Perhaps if you promise not to rattle on quite so much, we may consider your wish to marry Wangji,' said Lan Qiren, reaching into his sleeve and pulling out an old looking book, 'Your study and action of this, will perhaps be the caveat.'

Wei Wuxian took the book handed to him, hands trembling at the promise he could hear in his former teacher's voice. He didn't dare spare a look to Lan Wangji, certain he would be unable to contain all that was bubbling in him if he saw his face. He could feel the gentling of his form though, the tension draining from him in a way that said more than words could.

He looked down at the untitled tome, opening the fading pages to see mentions of cultivation but nothing he had seen or studied before.

'The ancient Han family, long since gone from the world we know, and their teachings held in our library for many years, unstudied,' said Lan Qiren, 'They were medical people as well as cultivators. Though the reason for the disaster that befell several of their cultivators has been lost, the evidence suggests that the loss of their golden cores was the result. These teachings are the way they managed their cultivation afterwards. I have studied it. Though it is not as extreme as what you have undertaken here, there are similarities and you could learn and moderate yourself from their teachings.'

Wei Wuxian looked down at the words before him, his eyes too full of tears to read them properly but he knew he would read the book from cover to cover in the hope of what it could contain for him.

'With this I could...the Yin Hu Fu...'

'Would be unnecessary,' said Lan Xichen, 'And can therefore be destroyed or contained to the point it cannot be used therefore fulfilling the final obligation put upon you by the clans.'

'I...' began Wei Wuxian, setting the book carefully on his lap for fear of tearing it as he trembled, 'I don't...Lan Zhan.'

Lan Wangji's smile was bright as Wei Wuxian finally turned to face him, more hopeful than he had ever seen it. 'The road we have set out upon is smoother than we thought,' he said, 'And we have a map.'

'Shufu,' said Lan Xichen, 'I believe Wei-Zongzhu and Wangji may wish to discuss the recent developments and we should consult with Jin-Gongzi and Jiang-Zongzhu about the sects' response to Jin-Xiandu's actions.'

'Wei-Zongzhu would be best placed to start reading and acting upon his studies,' said Lan Qiren, getting to his feet alongside his eldest nephew, 'I expect to see better progress than I saw in the Cloud Recesses.'

Though the familiar gruffness remained, there was the underlying gentleness that had begun with A-Yuan and somehow extended to Wei Wuxian. He was sure they would still butt heads and disagree but he also knew that the caveat of study was words alone and that he and Lan Wangji would be permitted to step into the future they had chosen for themselves.

Chapter 29: Storm in a Tea Cup

Notes:

Arghhhh! I am so sorry this is so late. I got covid after dodging it for 2 and a half years and, though it wasn't too bad a strain, it has left me really tired and I've struggled to write more than a few hundred words whenever I sit at my computer. I am on the mend but I still have a way to go.

On a happier note though I am excited to say that the wonderful kisahawklin is doing a cold read podfic of my story Between the Lines wigth daily updates. You can find links in the notes for Between the Lines so please head over and give the podfic some love. You won't be disappointed.

Chapter Text

Wen Qing had told him just how the pursuit of knowledge had consumed Wei Wuxian when he had been searching for a way to restore Jiang Cheng's golden core but seeing it first hand was a unique and somewhat alarming experience for Lan Wangji even after only a few short hours.

Once the initial elation and shock over his brother and uncle's seeming approval of their match had worn off, Wei Wuxian had thrown himself headlong into the study of the ancient book that Lan Qiren had brought with him. Though part of him wished they could spend a little more time basking in the prospect of a future side by side, Lan Wangji understood his lover's need to ensure the safety of the people they loved by ridding himself of the more abhorrent parts of his cultivation and finding a safer and more secure way of protecting them in the future. So, with his brother and uncle set off to speak with the other parties concerned with ending Jin Guangshan's tyranny, he had settled himself at Wei Wuxian's side; helping him make out parts of the text that had been weathered by age or to provide a sounding board for the thoughts that came to him.

He became more and more surplus to requirements though as Wei Wuxian got deeper into the book, even his sudden outbursts of inspiration from the writings fading to quiet mutterings that Lan Wangji could not decipher. Though he was curious as to what was being discussed beyond the cave, he could not bring himself to venture far, wanting to remain close in case his input or interpretation was needed.

It was the loud grumble of Wei Wuxian's stomach that finally got him to his feet even as the man in question seemed too distracted to have noticed the demands of his body. The small sound of protest that came forth as Lan Wangji left his side told him that his presence was still noticed at least and he pressed a kiss to the crown of his lover's head as he bent once more over his book before heading towards the opening of the cave.

The usual bustle of rebuilding and resowing was almost jarring after several hours of little more than Wei Wuxian's mutterings but he was glad to see the efforts continuing. The handful of Lan disciples who had accompanied his brother and uncle had found their spaces amongst the other workers, happily turning themselves to the tasks the villagers directed them to. He at first thought Lan Xichen and Lan Qiren must still be in discussions with Jin Zixuan and Jiang Cheng but the sight of the Jin heir helping to plant out new neat rows in one of the salvaged fields soon caught his attention and he crossed the short distance to him.

'Lan-Xiansheng said he had found a way to help Wei Wuxian with his cultivation,' said Jin Zixuan as he saw him approach, 'How is it going? It was only A-Ling refusing to settle with anyone other than A-Li that stopped her from coming to help him study.'

A small smile tugged at Lan Wangji's lips, wondering how often the eldest Jiang sibling had knelt beside her unruly martial brother to ensure he kept to his books. 'For once, Wei Ying does not need assistance to study. He is proving quite dedicated to the task,' he said, 'I hope your discussions were productive?'

Jin Zixuan nodded, 'I feel steadier to know we have the good sense of GusuLan at our side and I am told Chifeng-Zun will be amenable to our plans as well,' he said, 'Now all that is needed is to put them in motion but it is a fearful step to make.'

'Making it together will make it easier though,' said Lan Wangji, 'And it is the right thing to do. I know a future with you in your father's place will be a more just and peaceful one.'

'I hope so,' said Jin Zixuan, 'I will do all I can to see it is so.'

Lan Wangji wondered how two men from such differing backgrounds and experiences as Jin Zixuan and Wei Wuxian were could sound so similar but he knew it was a wish forged in the war and unrest they had lost much of their youth to, certain he sounded similar whenever he was called upon to speak.

'Zewu-Jun was with Jiang Cheng a while ago if you were searching for him,' said Jin Zixuan, 'And Lan-Xiansheng was speaking with Wen Ning. I feared the latter was going to rattle out of his skin with the worry of being singled out but he relaxed after a moment though I don't know what they were talking about.'

'Hopefully another step on the road before us,' said Lan Wangji, 'Thank you, by the way, for the support you have given everyone today. Your calmness and steadiness have made things a lot easier than it could have been.'

'I know a little of their relationship from the stories A-Li has told me but the thing she always maintained over everything was how much they cared for one another,' said Jin Zixuan, 'They both need to work on speaking more plainly with each other but I believe they will heal and mend things. Today was anger and upset. Now it is done and they can move forward.'

Lan Wangji nodded. 'I think a lot can be solved with people learning to speak more plainly,' he said, 'A lesson I should learn too.'

'We all should.'

A call from one of the workers caught Jin Zixuan's attention, his nod of farewell brief but polite as he excused himself and returned to his tasks, leaving Lan Wangji free to search for his brother once more.

The main hall was peaceful, most of those laid upon the rows of beds sleeping or at least resting quietly, fewer of them needing to be watched over constantly than there had been the day before. Wen Qing sat at the table that had become her work bench, a soft line of concentration on her brow as she counted through packets and jars, occasionally adding an ingredient or two to the bowl before her with a well practised hand. Her skill and her poise in the wake of the disaster that had surrounded them had been an honour to behold and he could only hope that the world was given the chance to see her talents, even if Wen Qing herself believed her part in Wei Wuxian's core transfer was a stumbling block to such acclaim. He was sure, given the chance, she could do a great deal of good for those ailments in the world that did not always go recognised and treated as they should be.

His brother and Jiang Cheng sat not too far the workbench, a basket of material between them that was being carefully wound into bandages, the edges and tucks neat with the precision of Wen Qing's teachings.

'Wangji,' said Lan Xichen as he approached, 'How is Wei Wuxian faring with the book?'

'He has not been too forthcoming but I believe the content is promising,' said Lan Wangji, 'He had gone beyond requiring my input.'

'He gets like that,' said Jiang Cheng, his eyes on the bandage he was winding in his hands, 'You need to make sure he eats. He neglects himself.'

'He has several people here who are happy to bully him into eating when it is required,' said Lan Wangji, 'I intend to take something back to him shortly.'

Jiang Cheng nodded, setting his bandage onto the tray of finished ones. 'That's good.'

'Do you need my assistance with anything?' said Lan Xichen, 'I will admit to not having read the book myself though I understand the contents. Shufu would be better placed to answer any questions you have.'

'I do not have any specific questions,' said Lan Wangji, 'Though I had some things I wished to discuss with you.'

Lan Xichen nodded with a smile, 'Then let me take these where they belong and then we can talk.'

He scooped up the tray and the basket with ease, heading back to Wen Qing's workbench and leaving Lan Wangji and Jiang Cheng with a task-less void between them.

'Zewu-Jun is about as subtle as Wei Wuxian can be at times,' said Jiang Cheng, his eyes lacking any particular humour though there was a gentleness to his words, 'I told him what happened. What I did. That you got in the way. Thought for a moment I was done for and then he said it was up to you and me to make a peace of it. He's wrong though. It's not up to you. It's up to me. I am the one at fault and I am the one who should make it right. My actions were foolish and reactionary and you were hurt because of them. I realise how severe it could have been, considering what I had learned about Wei Wuxian. It was wrong. I should have behaved better and I'm sorry. It does not change it but I am sorry and I will try, in the future, to be less like the people who have come before me and more like the man I should be.'

The halting apology was agonising but heartfelt, the sorrow in the eyes before him that Lan Wangji had only rarely seen bear anything other than disdain enough to say what the ill-prepared words could not.

'Your actions were foolish but, given what I know of your relationship with Wei Ying and the childhood you shared, they were predictable if not understandable. My injury will heal and you did not intend to hurt me so an apology is unwarranted in that respect, though I am grateful for it and accept it all the same,' he said, 'It is to Wei Ying that you truly owe the apology and more so to those who it could have been stepping in the way. The next time you use your weapon against someone who is not your enemy and who stands before you unarmed, imagine it is not I, with the strength to withstand it, that comes between you but instead see Jin-Furen or A-Ling, two I am certain you would never bring harm to. Wei Ying is almost as vulnerable to such strikes as either of them are. Picture them and then see if Zidian holds such an appeal in its use.'

The dawning horror and paling of Jiang Cheng's face said more than words could, his hand flexing around the jewelled bracelet that concealed such concentrated and lethal power.

'Learn from today. Learn to think before you act and no apology is necessary to me,' said Lan Wangji, 'We have enough enemies standing against us. We do not need to be at odds. Perhaps turn Zidian to that cause rather than on your brother who loves you.'

Jiang Cheng nodded, his face pinched with remorse but there was no anger in the lines. 'I told him, regardless of how we were to each other, I would be beside him in this. That I will see the right thing done for him and the people here,' he said, 'I will support him and YilingWei for as long as they need me to. I am glad though, that he has you beside him.'

'I am glad I have the chance to be,' said Lan Wangji, getting to his feet before he bowed politely, 'Jiang-Zongzhu.'

Jiang Cheng rose and returned the bow, 'Hanguang-Jun,' he said, the titles ones that had so often passed between them but the meaning beneath seemed to shift and Lan Wangji left him with a small smile, joining his brother where he was talking with one of Wen Qing's patients a discreet distance from where they had been sitting.

'I hope what needed to be said has been said.'

Lan Wangji nodded as they began to head towards the cave mouth side by side, 'Though actions will prove more fruitful,' he said, 'We will all come away from today with much to learn.'

Lan Xichen nodded, 'So long as I do not need to step in and put any offence to rights,' he said, with a small smile, 'Though the leader of a sect attacking a member of the Lan family unprovoked should be answerable to me, in this I believe titles were very much forgotten.'

'We do not need to pick any more fights,' said Lan Wangji, 'Not between our allies. I will be fine in a day or so and I have the best doctor on hand to assist me. Earlier today is not important, have you been satisfied with the plans Jin-Gongzi and Jiang-Zongzhu have made?'

'Satisfied is not a word I would choose,' said Lan Xichen, 'I have no desire for conflict or for treason but my position in such things has proven to be inadequate and it is the only logical solution to avoid Jin Guangshan doing any more harm. What he has done here will only end up being repeated again for anyone he takes offence to. He is no better than Wen Ruohan in that respect. I am worried what lies before us but I know it is the right thing to do. I should have listened to you a long time ago.'

Lan Wangji wanted to agree but his training since birth had been so similar to his brother's, cultivation alongside the skills of politics and leadership, Lan Qiren ensuring that, should anything happen to the eldest, the younger would be in place to take the lead. They had been taught to be peaceful, to promote harmony and equilibrium rather than discourse. He could only imagine what their training and the war they had already lived through had been like to balance for a young leader like Lan Xichen, reliant on the support of others not only with rebuilding their home but also in the attempts to secure their hard won peace. Though he wished he had had his brother's entire support from the start, he would allow the sympathy of understanding that it took him longer to reach the right conclusion.

'You are with us now,' said Lan Wangji, 'And we are moving forward.'

'You more so,' said Lan Xichen, with a small smile, 'The elders will be all the more interested in me marrying soon than they were before once they discover they no longer have an heir to rely upon in you.'

'How long have you truly known?' said Lan Wangji, 'I thought, when we were to broach the subject of our relationship, that you would forbid me from seeing Wei Ying again, that you would pull me away. I thought if you did not, Shufu certainly would.'

'Shufu was certainly determined to be a stumbling block for a while but he has noted your interest in Wei Wuxian since his time in the Cloud Recesses as I did,' said Lan Xichen, 'I knew, when I sent you here, that your friendship might change but I knew as well I would not keep you away once you had extended our protection to him on Qiongqi Path. When I brought the subject up to Shufu, he wanted to bring you home and forbid any association but it did not take long to remind him of your stubbornness. In the end I think he prefers to give permission so that we can do this honourably and he will be able to maintain a relationship with you. I think, deep down, he knows it is a genuine love and wants you to be happy but he has his ways. For my part, I'm delighted. I did not picture a place like this for your future but if you are truly happy...'

'I am,' said Lan Wangji, 'And, whilst this is not the life I knew, it is good and honest. I am fulfilled, happy. I have a purpose in the world in serving these people, in helping Wei Ying. I love him, I love the family we have built. I long for the future we have only dreamed of until now.'

Lan Xichen smiled, 'I wish you could see your face when you talk of them,' he said, 'For so many years I feared you would live your life alone, an existence of ritual without passion. I did not want to watch you waste away in the Cloud Recesses. When Wei Wuxian came into your life, when I watched the passion and challenge he brought to you, I knew there could be more for you. Though I hope the hardships do not endure, I know you will live a full and happy life with these people. I am proud of the man I have seen you become. I hope more learn to be as compassionate and loyal to their cause as you have been.'

'It is a lesson we will wholeheartedly teach those who come to us here,' said Lan Wangji, 'Though we only ever wish to be quiet, we wish to be a force for good in this world as well.'

'Then let us make it so,' said Lan Xichen, 'I will send word to Nie-Zongzhu to come and meet with us here once we have settled the issue of the Yin Hu Fu. Once we are ready, we will summon the other sects to Lotus Pier and make the case for YilingWei. Once that is settled, it will be time for Jin Guangshan to step aside. Though his crimes would warrant further punishment, for the sake of peace, Jin-Gongzi, Jiang-Zongzhu and I believe it would be better if he was allowed to quietly retire. If he does not take the offer to do so though, we are willing to take steps to remove him with force. I am as certain as I can be without him stating it outright that Nie-Zongzhu will support us and so we can only hope that the smaller sects will follow our lead. Though many have been loyal supporters of Jin Guangshan, I believe it is more due to his status and wealth than anything deeper. With Jin-Gongzi as the alternative and with the backing of the three remaining major sects, I believe most will come over to our side.'

Lan Wangji nodded, 'Though part of me wants to argue that he should be punished to the fullest extent for what he did here,' he said, 'I do not want there to be more bloodshed or any more fighting. I do not want Jin-Gongzi to inherit a sect bathed in his own father's blood, however much I wish for revenge for those who have suffered here.'

'A wise consideration,' said Lan Xichen, 'It may not be as satisfying but it will prevent any further hurt. I do not believe he is popular enough to manage any sort of uprising from wherever he retires to. All his charms are kept in his purse. Speaking of a purse; Shufu and I have put aside funds and goods that can be transferred here or wherever you choose to finally settle when you and Wei Wuxian marry. It's not a traditional arrangement so what rules we make are our own.'

'I do not require anything but I will be grateful for it all the same,' said Lan Wangji, 'Here or elsewhere, we will have a lot to build and to pay for so anything will be of help. I do not know if Wei Ying will come with any more than the ideas in his head. He has already left YunmengJiang.'

'Formally maybe,' said Lan Xichen, 'But he is still a part of them I believe. I hope, similarly, that you too will always consider yourself as part of our sect, even as you build a new one. There will never be a day that the Cloud Recesses isn't your home.'

'Nor will there be a day when I do not think of it as such but here, or wherever Wei Ying and these people are, here holds my heart.'

'Including the smallest member, though he appears to have taken a shine to Shufu since we arrived.'

Lan Wangji smiled as he saw A-Yuan sat quietly beside Lan Qiren, his little face as serious as he could make it even as his eyes grew unfocused, clearly not understanding the conversation that was passing between him and Wen Ning.

'I am glad they are getting along,' said Lan Wangji, 'A-Yuan will be very much a part of our future. Though we have not decided how to formalise anything, Wei Ying and I intend to be as fathers to him with his family's consent.'

'Wangji,' said Lan Xichen with fond exasperation, 'You are not the man I once knew. This place, these people have transformed you.'

'A metamorphosis long overdue,' said Lan Wangji, 'I finally know my place in the world. Right now though, I should get back to Wei Ying. I had only intended to find him something to eat and return. He needs to rest or he will spend all night studying that book.'

'Do you believe he will give up the Yin Hu Fu?'

Lan Wangji nodded, 'So long as our people are safe, he will give it up as soon as he is able. I am glad the book Shufu brought may allow him to continue with some form of cultivation though. His techniques may be unorthodox but some have merit. When focused away from conflict, I believe he could make some good in the world.'

'I believe, with the pair of you together, there is much promise for the future.'

'Zhan-Gege!' cried A-Yuan, springing up from Lan Qiren's side as he caught sight of them, 'Lan-Shushu says we might be free soon because you're going to tell the bad Jin-Xiandu that he needs to stop being bad. He says Ning-Shushu has to stay here when you go though, that he has to be quiet but I said he's already good at being quiet.'

Lan Wangji reached down to catch him up as he showed no signs of ceasing his run towards him, his weight settling comfortably against his hip as A-Yuan placed a kiss on his cheek.

'Where's Xian-Gege?'

'He's reading a book that will help us,' said Lan Wangji, 'But he needs to rest soon so you can come with me to see him.'

A-Yuan smiled, looking over to Lan Xichen before he dropped his voice to a whisper. 'Lan-Shushu said you're going to stay with me and Xian-Gege here. Is it true?'

'It is true,' said Lan Wangji, 'If you still want to keep me, then I am staying with you.'

'And can I...' began A-Yuan, his voice trailing off as he looked over at Lan Xichen once more.

'Why don't you and I take some food to A-Die?' said Lan Wangji, hearing the unspoken question.

A-Yuan's expression swiftly moved from shock to a blinding smile before it turned to something indiscernible and he buried his face against the side of Lan Wangji's neck, his body trembling as he sobbed.

'I love you,' he said, 'I want you to stay forever with me. Will you really stay?'

'I will really stay,' said Lan Wangji, 'I will be with you forever now, I promise.'

'I want you to promise to take very good care of him for me, A-Yuan,' said Lan Xichen, 'And you will need to bring him to visit us as often as you can.'

A-Yuan raised his head with a small smile, 'I can come to your home in the clouds?'

'You will be more than welcome,' said Lan Xichen, 'All your family will be.'

'Can we go soon?'

'When everything is settled, then we will go,' said Lan Wangji, as Lan Qiren and Wen Ning spoke a final few words to one another before rising to join them.

'Lan-Shushu, Ning-Shushu, when the bad people stop being bad we're going to go to the Cloud Recesses. I will have to practice my words so I can read the rules on the big wall.'

'Maybe you can teach Wei-Zongzhu to follow them as well,' said Lan Qiren though there was a fondness to his tone, the smallest of smiles reaching his lips as he saw the child in his nephew's arms, 'I hope he is studying the book diligently.'

'He has not stopped,' said Lan Wangji, 'He believes it to be promising. He...'

The screaming, haunting cry that echoed through the village was different to those of the living but Lan Wangji knew it all too well, one that always came with the more resentful, desperate ghosts whenever they tried to help them move on to whatever lay beyond. He pressed A-Yuan into Lan Qiren's arms without a thought, hurrying towards the cave he had left Wei Wuxian in just in time to see the man himself stagger out. Tripping over his own feet on the way and hitting the ground hard.

'Don't ask, get rid of it.'

The words were half choked but Lan Wangji took their meaning all the same, summoning his qin with a wave of his hand, the discordant blast that flew from the strings quickly eliminating the malevolent shadowy figure that was emerging from the doorway.

'I don't know if there are any more,' said Wei Wuxian, getting his feet back under and pulling Chenqing from his belt as he ran for the open doorway.

The sharp sounds of Chenqing rang alongside the notes of the qin as they together dispersed the remaining spirits that circled the cave, the resentment in them strong and heavy before they finally disappeared. Lan Wangji shook off the headache that always accompanied such an exchange, his attention soon on Wei Wuxian who was bent double and breathing hard from the short battle.

'What happened?' he said, dismissing his qin before gripping his shoulders and helping him upright, 'Are you hurt?'

Wei Wuxian nodded, waving a hand to dismiss any concern, 'It's not bad though. It just took me by surprise.'

'What happened?' said Lan Wangji, eyes moving quickly over him but not landing on any evidence of injury that warranted immediate attention.

Wei Wuxian sighed, finally regaining himself. 'The book,' he said, 'The book is what I need, there's so much there that I can build from and I wanted to get started. I tried to destroy the Yin Hu Fu and they didn't like it. It fought back. It burned.'

He opened his hand, the palm red and lined with the impression of the metal.

'This needs treating,' said Lan Wangji, 'Where is it now?'

'Over there,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I dropped it when it got hot and then I didn't have a chance to think before I was set upon.'

'Wangji? Is everything alright? I have kept the others outside,' said Lan Xichen as Lan Wangji headed towards the abandoned Yin Hu Fu, tugging his sleeve over his hand before tentatively prodding at it and finding the metal cool once more.

'It's fine now,' said Wei Wuxian, 'It was my fault. I got ahead of myself. Was anyone hurt?'

'No but they are concerned,' said Lan Xichen.

'Then please reassure them that everything is fine and no harm is done. The Wens are used to bangs and crashes coming from wherever I am but they are no doubt on edge right now,' said Wei Wuxian, 'We'll be out in a moment.'

Lan Wangji retrieved the book his uncle had brought with him, unharmed save for a little dust from the floor, carrying them both over to Wei Wuxian as his brother headed back out of the cage.

'Sorry,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I should have taken more precautions.'

'You could have been badly hurt,' said Lan Wangji, 'I know you want to get this done but be careful with the person I love best. I've just been promised a future with you and I am keen to have it occur. Our son has already been making plans.'

Wei Wuxian's smile was bright if tear-filled, 'Our son?'

'Is he not?' said Lan Wangji, 'I think it's time we made this family an official one, seeing we have the blessing of both sides now.'

'Lan-Xiansheng said I had to act on the teachings first,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I don't know if this counts.'

'It's a start and Shufu has already given his blessing in his way,' said Lan Wangji, 'He would have forbidden me outright if he had any intention to. Let me bind your hand. There are supplies outside so we do not need to bother Wen Qing.'

'I do not need the lecture that would come with it,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I know I was foolish.'

'Mn. You are very foolish sometimes but at least it is with good intent.'

Wei Wuxian smiled but it turned to a grimace as he flexed his burned hand, 'I need to not be so foolish,' he said, 'Other people could get hurt. I'm going to need to find a way to destroy the Yin Hu Fu safely.'

'We can talk with Shufu. He may have some ideas,' said Lan Wangji, leading him to the door.

Several concerned faces met them, A-Yuan amongst them. He quickly wriggled his way out of Lan Qiren's arms, crossing the short distance to Wei Wuxian and pressing his head against his hip as he wrapped his arms around his leg.

'I heard a bang and I was scared,' he said, 'I thought the bad people had come back.'

Wei Wuxian lay his uninjured hand on his head, gently fussing his hair, 'I am sorry I frightened you, little radish,' he said, 'I was trying to make things better and it went wrong.'

'There was a ghost, I saw it before A-Die sent it away.'

Lan Wangji laughed softly at the shock that quickly morphed to worry on Wei Wuxian's face, seeing his gaze snap to Lan Qiren who simply rolled his eyes with a sigh and a wave of his hand. A gesture of acceptance far louder to Lan Wangji than any words could be.

'Do not worry,' he said, 'We've already established a few things in your absence. Let me see to you hand.'

'What happened in there?' said Lan Xichen, 'I did not think the book contained anything so violent.'

'It doesn't,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I got ahead of myself. I wanted to destroy the Yin Hu Fu. The book and the cultivation inside it means I don't need it. I won't be as strong but I can still protect these people. The Yin Hu Fu had other ideas.'

'You should not have tried anything without assistance nearby,' said Lan Qiren, 'Even without studying the weapon, I can only imagine the danger it presents to you just as it presents a danger to who it could be turned against.'

'I have to do something,' said Wei Wuxian.

'We will find a way,' said Lan Qiren, 'For now, get that treated.'

The gruff command was another acknowledgment, another nod to the acceptance into the family Lan Wangji was certain Wei Wuxian never thought he would be a part of. The softness in his lover's eyes promised tears when they found themselves alone, tears for the hope and relief that came with the world finally turned in their favour. He hoped they could find the quiet they would need to allow Wei Wuxian the chance to show the emotion he would keep hidden from many.

They were soon settled in the slowly dimming light of the late afternoon, A-Yuan perched on Wei Wuxian's lap as Lan Wangji bound his burned hand. Talk had turned from the book Wei Wuxian had been studying to Lan Qiren's discussions with Wen Ning. Whilst the latter had been his usual silent self, he grew more animated as he spoke of his willingness to make any attempt necessary to make his existence an acceptable one to the world. It pained Lan Wangji to see his friend put in a position where his life was more of a political pawn than something of infinite value in its own right but he knew the uniqueness of Wen Ning would always prove a stumbling point for those unwilling to get to know him.

Despite the ever pressing need to fulfil what they needed to do before confronting Jin Guangshan, the enforced rest allowed Lan Wangji to ensure Wei Wuxian spent a little time away from his furtive studying. The hot, flavourful tea that had come with the Yiling townsfolk was a welcome refreshment when Wen Ning brought it to them, ever mindful of their guests even with all the others factors in play.

Wei Wuxian had only managed to take his first full sip when A-Yuan decided to wriggle in his lap, his sharp little elbow connecting with his ribs with enough force to have him sputtering against the mouthful he had all but inhaled.

'A-Die!' cried the child, his face panicked even as Lan Wangji reached out to pat Wei Wuxian on his back.

'I'm alright, I'm alright,' said Wei Wuxian, his voice rough, 'You just startled me. I'm alright.'

'We're just getting somewhere and you nearly drown yourself in a cup of tea,' said Lan Wangji, gentling his hand.

'I'd hardly say I...brilliant! You're brilliant! Lan Zhan!'

He barely had time to react as A-Yuan was passed onto his lap, steadying the boy even as Wei Wuxian took his face into his hands and pressed a kiss to his lips without a care for their audience.

'You're so brilliant.'

'Wei Wuxian!' came Lan Qiren's gruff splutter even as Lan Xichen hastily concealed a laugh behind his sleeve.

'I'm marrying him anyway,' said Wei Wuxian, 'And now I can do what I promised to get there. I'm going to drown it.'

'Drown what?' said Lan Wangji, trying to avoid the perturbed gaze of his uncle as Wei Wuxian pulled the Yin Hu Fu from where it had been stored in the folds of his robes and tossed it once in the air for good measure, 'Surely water will have little effect on it?'

'I'm not going to drown it in water,' said Wei Wuxian, with a smile, 'I need water, I thrive with water but if I you chuck me in a river weighed down with a stone...'

'Not in front of A-Yuan,' said Lan Wangji, covering the boy's ears with his hands, 'But I still don't understand.'

'Resentful energy,' said Wei Wuxian, 'It needs it, thrives on it but flood it and, just like the river, it won't survive.'

'Genius,' said Lan Xichen.

'Foolish,' snapped Lan Qiren, 'The levels you would need...the child shouldn't be here for this discussion.'

'I'm big Lan-Shushu, I'm four,' said A-Yuan, wrestling his hand from beneath Lan Wangji's hand, 'I'm not afraid.'

Lan Qiren's expression softened, 'Even at four, there are things even the bravest should not hear,' he said, 'And I am sure your parents wish to protect you from any fear.'

Lan Wangji's heart leapt in his chest at the words, the soft pinking of Wei Wuxian's cheeks alongside the bright smile speaking of the same delight.

'Shufu is right, little radish,' he said, 'You have lived through enough. I promise to keep everyone safe but this conversation is for the adults alone. Will you go to Popo for me?'

A-Yuan frowned but nodded, 'Can I see if A-Ling wants to play?'

Lan Wangji smiled, 'Ask Jin-Furen and do not wake him if he is sleeping. If not, straight to Popo. Promise me?'

'I promise,' said A-Yuan, sliding down from his lap and tugging on Wei Wuxian's sleeve.

'A-Die, be careful and don't let a bad thing happen.'

Quick arms lifted the boy from his feet, Wei Wuxian's expression at the name given to him hidden against A-Yuan's shoulder, his words lost in a whisper for the child he had taken for his son alone. Lan Wangji longed to join the embrace, certain his uncle would forgive it but knowing it was not wise to push things too far when nothing had yet been formalised between them despite the positive words of the day.

'Go to Popo,' said Wei Wuxian, his voice a little hoarse as he set A-Yuan back on his feet, 'Later, we can read together before it is time to sleep.'

The boy hesitated for a moment before he skipped off towards those working in search of his young playmate. Lan Wangji envied him his youth and innocence as the truth of Wei Wuxian's idea began to settle. It was as solid an idea as anyone could have with such an unknown weapon but he could not help the fear that clutched at him, fear that the resentful energy that felt so all consuming even when Wei Wuxian was in control of it would steal his lover from him if allowed to grow to such potency that would be needed.

'I know this will work,' said Wei Wuxian as though reading his thoughts, 'This has to work. It will destroy it.'

'And you along with it if you are not cautious,' said Lan Qiren, 'You are messing with forces...'

'That I understand better than anyone,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Lan-Xiansheng, I appreciate your advice and all the help you have given me. You've led me to a path that I could not have found on my own. You are my teacher and always will be but, in this, allow your humble student to surpass you. I know this energy, I know resentment. My flesh is scored with it, I was rebuilt with it. This place fed me with it when I should rightly have died. I cannot...there are things man has not created words for but I know this energy, I understand it and I truly believe if I flood the Yin Hu Fu with enough of it, it will destroy it.'

'And if it destroys you?'

'Have I not said time and time again that I would do anything to ensure the safety of these people?' said Wei Wuxian, 'I have no wish to die, not with the future I hope for before me, but if it saves them and if it stops the Yin Hu Fu from falling into hands that would truly turn it to evil, isn't it worth the risk?'

'That is an impossible question to answer,' said Lan Qiren.

'I was raised by YunmengJiang,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Impossible, we can do.'

'You're a fool.'

'So your nephew tells me on frequent occasions,' said Wei Wuxian, 'This will work.'

Lan Wangji got to his feet, taking hold of his bandaged hand and holding it gently it his, 'Let me be with you.'

'Lan Zhan, it will be dangerous.'

'Which is why I should be there beside you,' said Lan Wangji, 'When we have helped the souls on this mountain to rest, we have done so together, with you to summon and control and me to eliminate. It has taken both of us to do so cleanly, safely. To watch each other's backs. The amount of resentful energy this will take will need all your concentration and your strength, you will not be able to do anything if things go wrong. If I am there, I can protect you.'

Wei Wuxian shook his head, 'I need you to protect the village.'

'Xiongzhang and Shufu are as skilled as I. They can protect the village.'

'I can assure you, Wei-Zongzhu, we will not allow any harm to come to those here if you make the attempt.'

Lan Qiren huffed in annoyance, 'You need to take more time, think further.'

'We are running out of time,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Jin Zixuan has been here long enough for it to be known that he is, the attack planned by Jin Guangshan has happened and not to the effect he planned, you are here and that word will soon spread too. We have days before he finds another way to hurt us. I will not give him that chance. I can do this. I can destroy the Yin Hu Fu and they will have nothing to hold against us.'

'Lan-Xiansheng,' said Wen Ning, his voice quiet but steady, 'My studies have been more limited than most and I do not presume to know more than anyone present but I know the power of the Yin Hu Fu, I know Wei-Gongzi's power. Both have spoken to me in a way that cannot be described and I am as certain as Wei Gongzi that this can work.'

Lan Qiren's face was pinched with concern rather than anger, his eyes moving between the two men he had once spoken so strongly against before he nodded, 'Though I fear the worst outcome, if this is truly the way this must go then let us do it as safely as possible. Xichen and I will protect the villagers. I believe Wen-Guniang has a knowledge of musical cultivation as well, she will be of great help if it comes to it. Anyone else who has any cultivation knowledge can form another line of defence for those who have none.'

'I will leave them in your hands,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I know you will do all you can. We will make the attempt in the Blood Pool Cave, the resentment is already strongest there and we can set a ward to stop as much as possible escaping.'

'Is there a way to warn us if things start to go wrong?' said Lan Xichen, 'To tell us if you need help.'

'Lan Zhan will have a talisman that he can activate but only if it is safe for you to rescue us,' said Wei Wuxian, tightening his grip on Lan Wangji's hand despite the burn, 'The lives of the others must be protected.'

'We will be alright,' said Lan Wangji, 'Together, we can do this. We have already come so far.'

'Then let us know when you are ready,' said Lan Qiren, 'And so will we be. I am trusting you with something infinitely precious to me, Wei Wuxian. I expect my nephew and his future husband to return unharmed.'

Lan Wangji's smile was only rivalled by his lover's at the words spoken and the acceptance in them.

'Believe me, Lan-Xiansheng, with such a future to hope for,' said Wei Wuxian, 'There is nothing that will stand in my way.'

Chapter 30: Destruction

Chapter Text

The woman in his arms was as slim as a reed, so easy to snap in his hands if he could ever countenance such an offence, and yet she felt like the strongest person in the world as she hugged him far tighter than she ever had before.

'A-Xian, please be careful,' said Jiang Yanli, her hands knotted into the back of his robes, 'I could not bear to lose you, didi.'

Wei Wuxian swallowed back the emotion that flooded him at the words, instead holding her back just as surely and hoping it would not be the last time he could do so. 'Someone has to teach A-Ling how to shoot straight,' he said, 'I'll come back to you, Shijie.'

Her face was bright but tear stained as she pulled back to meet his gaze, small hands moving to cradle his head and tilting it down so she could place a kiss on his brow as she had not done since he was small.

'See that you do.'

He felt adrift as her hands left him and she stepped back, bustled away towards the place they had made safe for all the non-cultivators and others who needed to be protected. The lines formed in front of them as Lan Qiren and Lan Xichen had arranged, the strongest of them at the front to provide the first line of defence against anything that could escape the Blood Pond Cave in their attempt.

'If you wish to terminate the attempt at any time, use the talisman,' said Lan Xichen, 'We will not hesitate.'

'I fear, when it begins, we will need to see it through to the end,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Just keep the others safe as best you can. For A-Yuan...'

'Rest assured, whatever happens, GusuLan will not abandoned anyone in this village. I am confident though that those of YilingWei will have Wei-Zongzhu to follow for many years to come.'

'Let's hope so.'

'We will be fine,' came Lan Wangji's voice from beside him, 'I know you can do this.'

'With you beside me, I have a chance,' he said, seeing the worry behind the confidence in his lover's eyes, 'Ready?'

'Almost,' said Lan Wangji, his fingers reaching into his hair before his ribbon fell free into his hand, 'Xiongzhang.'

Lan Xichen's calm expression turned to one of concern as Lan Wangji pressed the precious ribbon into his hand. 'Wangji?'

'When I am in that cave, I will do everything I can to keep Wei Ying safe and to keep anything from escaping that shouldn't,' said Lan Wangji, 'I cannot promise that every action I undertake will be in keeping with our rules. Take care of it for me until I return.'

'I...'

'It will be alright,' said Lan Wangji, 'Do this for me?'

Lan Xichen closed his hand around the ribbon, his free hand gripping gently at the back of his brother's neck as he pressed them together forehead to forehead. 'You will have this back the moment you step out of there.'

'Take care of the others. If we are in need, I will send for you.'

Wei Wuxian could not help but watched the play of emotions the flew across Lan Xichen's face, worry, fear, pride and a dawning realisation that his brother now stood very much as his own man and entirely confident and dedicated to his own path through the world. The hand holding Lan Wangji's ribbon was tight and Wei Wuxian was certain, for a moment, that he would see him grab his younger brother and run for the gate. Away from the danger that lay before them. He would not blame him if he did, his own heart twisting beneath his ribs at the risk Lan Wangji was taking to stay beside him in their endeavour. He almost wished Lan Xichen would abandon reason and act rashly to spirit his brother away.

As they separated though, the reality grew more crushing, no more delays before them as Lan Wangji bowed neatly to his brother, every inch the perfect Lan despite the lack of his headband. The same bow was soon turned to his uncle several steps away, Lan Qiren looking a heartbeat from doing what Lan Xichen had failed to before he nodded, a steel in his eyes that did nothing to hide his worry.

'It's time,' said Lan Wangji, taking Wei Wuxian's hand, 'Are you ready?'

He nodded in response, unsure that he could trust his words. Lan Wangji appeared to read everything he wanted to say anyway, fingers tightening around his own to comfort him before they headed deeper into the cave where the Blood Pool awaited them.

The task of warding the space against anything escaping was a relieving busy work, moving through the steps together with an ease borne from so many months side by side, speaking only when they needed to. It was a practised rhythm even if they were doing far more than they had ever done when they had been moving on small groups of spirits. Wei Wuxian was still unsure how concentrated the resentful energy would become when he tried to flood and destroy the Yin Hu Fu, whether even the protection they wove would be able to contain it but he knew it was a risk they had to take.

'Wei Ying?'

He realised he had been standing stock still, eyes unfocused on the wall of the cave, his hands clenched to fists at his side as Lan Wangji slid warm fingers over his bloodless ones.

'Sweetheart, it will be alright. We can do this, my love.'

'Lan Zhan, what if it all goes wrong. What if I...'

The warm fingers abandoned his hand, instead cupping his cheeks and pulling his focus to Lan Wangji, his face determined, softened with a look Wei Wuxian had seen so often but had only learned to read as love in the months they had lived side by side.

'And what if it goes right?' he said, 'I believe in you. I believe in us. We can do this.'

'I'm afraid, Lan Zhan,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I'm so afraid.'

'You would not be the man I love if you were not,' said Lan Wangji, 'To be afraid is to know there is something to lose. There is so much before us. So many people we love and wish to protect. This is an important moment in ensuring that protection. If you were not afraid, it would mean the outcome does not matter.'

Wei Wuxian pressed into his touch, forcing a smile to his lips, 'I want forever with you. So if this is what is needed to achieve it, let's get it done.'

'Before we do though.'

Wei Wuxian did not have a chance to question him, warm lips stealing his words. He knew Lan Wangji's soft, searching kisses; sweet, gentle things that brought comfort and closeness, but this kiss was new. It promised the heat of nights where they did not need to worry for the morning, the certainty of forever, a growing passion that would take advantage of the freedom they sought so desperately to achieve. It was only the hands holding him that allowed him to keep his feet, his own hands clutching uselessly at the front of Lan Wangji's dark, work-a-day robes that were a mile away from the pristine white of his youth.

'Lan Zhan,' he murmured when he was finally given leave to speak, 'You expect me to concentrate now?'

'Mn,' came the response, 'I have faith you will be able to.'

'Remind me to kiss you like that and then tell you to do something important one day,' said Wei Wuxian, a little of the tension leaving him and knowing that had been Lan Wangji's aim, his spirit resting a little easier on the task before them, 'If you promise to kiss me like that again when this is done, it will take me only a few moments.'

Lan Wangji smiled, 'Let's take a little longer and get it right,' he said, 'I promise you a kiss after though. Are you ready?'

Wei Wuxian nodded, knowing the wards were as strong as they could make them. 'I'm ready.'

As they had on so many nights, they arranged themselves side by side on the floor, Lan Wangji summoning his qin to his lap. Where before Wei Wuxian only had Chenqing on show, he now drew the Yin Hu Fu from within the folds of his robes and set it before them on the cold stone floor.

'Certain?' he said, looking over to Lan Wangji, 'Because once this starts we won't be able to stop until it's done...well, I won't be able to stop anyway. If you can...'

Lan Wangji took hold of his hand, 'I'm here until the end, however it comes.'

Wei Wuxian forced aside the words that wanted to escape him and delay them further, instead squeezing his lover's hand once more before he released it and raised Chenqing to his lips.

He started slow, coaxing rather than commanding. Drawing on the resentful energy that seeped from every part of the land surrounding them. Lan Wangji was silent beside him as he always was at the beginning, waiting until he was needed, poised and listening, reading the energy that Wei Wuxian surrounded himself with. It was a well known ritual, comforting and grounding in a way Wei Wuxian was sure no one but the man beside him would understand.

He could sense something below the normal thrum of the resentment though, an itch in the back of his head that told him his intentions were already known and that a fight would be his if he acted on them. He felt the small sting of regret and ingratitude, whatever forces that had rebuilt him and given him to tools to save the people he loved now the ones he was turning against. He knew it was necessary though, the brotherhood with such a force not something he had ever sought and had only used because necessity had warranted it. He only hoped that the severing of the connection between them would be clean.

The Yin Hu Fu rattled on the stone floor as Wei Wuxian began to direct the resentful energy into it. The familiar sense of calm, almost a glee that came from it as it absorbed the chaos, was short-lived as Wei Wuxian began to increase the pressure.

With a sharp note from Chenqing, he called on everything within reach, every lost soul and restless spirit, drawing from them all the hurt and resentment he could muster and feeding it into the Yin Hu Fu that struggled and leapt under the onslaught. A piercing shriek accompanied one frantic leap, the metal rattling in a counterpoint.

The notes from Lan Wangji's qin beat off whatever attack was aimed at Wei Wuxian, the power striking around him with a crackle of lightning but leaving him unscathed. The power built quickly again all the same, Lan Wangji needing to only protect rather than eliminate as he had previously done as Wei Wuxian kept the resentment levels high for his plan to work. He forced his focus away from his lover's actions, concentrating his efforts back on feeding as much resentful energy as he could into the Yin Hu Fu as it hissed and spat like a wounded animal.

The first strike that hit him knocked the wind out of him, the notes of Chenqing stuttering but he recovered himself quickly. The second was like a knife across the meat of his arm, the warm spill of his blood slow and pulsing alongside the resentment that filled the air. Lan Wangji's music swelled, deflecting the attacks as best he could. Though he knew it was a poor idea, Wei Wuxian cheated a glance to the man at his side, the darker robes Lan Wangji had taken to wearing in the Burial Mounds doing nothing to hide the traces of blood on them also.

He wrenched his mind away from the thought of stopping, knowing they had long passed a point where he could safely do so without some of the resentful spirits taking their hate and anger out on the innocents who waited outside. Instead, he doubled his efforts, dragging into him all the resentment, anger and hate that surrounded him and combining it with all that filled him too. His thoughts were darker than they had been even when he had first been thrown, bleeding and hollow, into the Burial Mounds. Where before they had been knives turned on him, he now turned them on the Yin Hu Fu, finding the weak points he knew as well as his own and exploiting them. The connection between them though was great, the Yin Hu Fu forged from what had been left of him and he forged from the Yin Iron in the sword he had retrieved from the guts of Xuanwu.

His ears rang with the shrieks and screams around him, the swirling blackness blocking out sight as it buffeted him this way and that. It tried to steal Chenqing from his lips but he held firm, keeping the notes clear and controlled even as Lan Wangji failed to keep every strike from hitting him. He could smell blood and hoped it was more of his own than his lover's, the notes from the qin at least letting him know he was still at his side even if the swirling resentment stole his ability to see him.

The Yin Hu Fu shrieked. The sound sharp and loud and Wei Wuxian was unsure if he would ever hear properly again as he felt the responding pop in his own ears. The pain of it though was nothing in comparison to the agony that overwhelmed him as Chenqing was torn from his hands, clattering noisily away into the blackness.

The pain from the removal of his golden core was always with him, remembered in dreams and the ever present emptiness within him that still ached like a bruise and pulsed throughout him whenever he allowed his mind to grow to quiet. He would take that pain a hundred times though over the one that filled him as the Yin Hu Fu fought back, using the very resentment that had once bound them against him.

He had met death before. When he had tumbled from the sky onto the cold, hard ground of the Burial Mounds without even a core to protect him, he had met death and the pain had been unbearable. He had been torn to shreds, crushed and broken before the strangeness had found him in the silence, the voice that spoke of revenge and retribution and a chance to make right the wrongs of the world if only he made himself wrong in pursuit of it. He had been stitched back together by sharp hands, the sutures hairs from corpses' heads, his blood shot through with the gore and putrid filth that poisoned the land, his wits ever tied to the pounding, grasping, demanding wish for revenge for every crime brought by the ages long struggle for power.

He was a part of the Burial Mounds, a part of the Yin Hu Fu and to destroy it was to destroy himself.

He did not hesitate in the choice. His life had ever been a willing price for the lives of so many. He only hoped that those left behind could forgive him and move on with their lives knowing he had been a willing and grateful sacrifice for their freedom.

He allowed the blackness to overwhelm him, the agony to transfer into the Yin Hu Fu, feeling himself shatter as it shattered, screaming in the dark. The explosion shook the cave, rocks and dust falling around him. Above it all a strange, singular note rang out, one so familiar that it felt a comfort. He did not know who played it though. He had only ever heard it from his own flute, blown by his own lips, powered by his own living breath. The note should not sound without Chenqing and yet sound it did, beautiful and clear, a balm surrounding him in the chaos.

He did not have long enough to work out where the note had come from, his breath growing shallow and uneven as he tipped into a blackness that was even darker than the resentment that swirled around him.

For a moment he floated in the quiet that followed, unsure if he was deafened or if that vital sense had purely deserted him along with the others. He felt weightless, unafraid, buoyed by something he could not place, cradled in a calm that cooled the memory of pain and hurt and the relentless march of the resentful voices in his head. Death had not felt so serene before, with its claws and its hate. Death had been cruel, teasing him before it allowed him to be rebuilt. Now though, he was whole already. Whole and warm and on the cusp of wakefulness that promised a bright, peaceful day.

'Wei Ying.'

He didn't know that the dead could smile but smile he did, the siren song wrapping around him like a blanket.

'Wei Ying, open your eyes.'

He wanted to obey the command, to do as he was told, knowing whatever he would look upon would be beautiful but his body did not feel like his to control.

'Wei Ying, my love, wake up for me.'

The shape before him was little more than a blur, only a thin blue glow to give them any light and casting everything in shadow. The comfortable cushioning beneath him shifted slightly, softness brushing over his face, calming him as he willed his eyes to focus.

'Lan Zhan?' he said as the shape before him began to take on some meaning, 'Did you die too?'

'No,' said the beloved voice, 'And neither did you, though you made a fine attempt.'

The sleepy, comfortable feeling began to abate, Wei Wuxian becoming aware of the pains in his body, the deep ache in his head and the dryness of his mouth but Lan Wangji's appearance gave him more concern than his own discomfort.

The usually neatly styled hair, even in their humble home, was in disarray, tumbled loose from its ties to frame the bruising, dirt and tear-stains that littered the beloved face. His clothes were equally alarming, torn in places and bloody in others, as though he had waged war against a thousand men alone and only just escaped with his life. Still, his smile was brighter than Wei Wuxian often saw, bright and relieved.

'What happened?' said Wei Wuxian, his voice rough and his throaty aching against the work.

'It would take a wiser man than me to put it into words,' said Lan Wangji, 'It was chaos.'

'I heard Chenqing even after...' said Wei Wuxian, his heart stuttering painfully as a horrifying thought filled his head, 'Lan Zhan. I didn't play Chenqing. Who played Chenqing?'

'I was the only other person here, my love.'

Wei Wuxian was glad of the strong arm around him that held him still as he trembled, noticing the faint glimmer of blood at Lan Wangji's lips, 'But I heard...If you did that...Are you hurt? My cultivation, it's dangerous and you shouldn't...are you hurt?'

Lan Wangji shook his head, 'It was not pleasant and it is an experience I do not wish to repeat. Things are not quite as they should be but it was necessary and I can ask Shufu to play Cleansing for me. With that and a few hours meditation, I will recover.'

'You could have been badly hurt,' said Wei Wuxian, wishing he had a little more strength in him to sit up on his own.

'I knew what I was risking and you would have died if I didn't,' said Lan Wangji, 'When the Yin Hu Fu split, everything in it went for you and I could do nothing to stop them. There were too many to destroy so I did the only other thing I could and forced them away with Chenqing. I don't regret a moment.'

Wei Wuxian sighed, 'Lan Zhan.'

'You are not the only one allowed to make sacrifices for our family, my love,' said Lan Wangji, 'And it was worth it. You're here and you're free.'

'Free?' said Wei Wuxian, his mind finally catching up with all that surrounded him.

He probed inside of himself, seeking out the familiar dark thrum of something alien that had been his constant companion since he had been pieced back together but it was absent. He did not feel bereft of it though, instead he felt a strength in the absence, a knowledge that he could be just as strong with the cultivation Lan Qiren had brought to him in the Han family's book.

'It's gone,' he said, 'It's gone, Lan Zhan, the Yin Hu Fu. Everything is quiet. Are you sure it's true? I'm not dead.'

Lan Wangji smiled, 'You're as alive as I am, if a little battered,' he said, 'You did it. It worked.'

Wei Wuxian was unsure there was a word to describe the noise that escaped him, a laugh combined with a desperate sob that soon turned into tears he could not have held back even if he wished to. Strong arms lifted him, pressing him close to the familiar, comforting heartbeat of his lover, kisses pressed to his hair as he was rocked like a child on the cold stone floor.

He wasn't sure how long he cried for, taking comfort in the scent and the dark of Lan Wangji's embrace even if their only light came from the conjured orb above them. When the tears subsided though, he raised his head meeting the small smile before him with one of his own, the joy bubbling out of him in a laugh soon echoed by Lan Wangji, relief in the sound as he dared to look over to where the shattered remains of the Yin Hu Fu lay, a pile of useless metal on the dusty ground.

'Lan-Xiansheng will need to find something else to grumble at me about,' he said, flinching a little, 'I hurt.'

'I'm not surprised,' said Lan Wangji, 'Let's get you to Wen Qing.'

'Wait...'

'Don't complain, Wei Ying. You're injured and she's a doctor.'

Wei Wuxian smiled, 'I know, I'll go but first, won't my future husband grant me a kiss? I thought I had died and then woke in his arms so it seems only right he should kiss me.'

Warm lips met his in response, Wei Wuxian revelling not just in the beloved touch but in the living breath that came with it, the blood warm skin, the slight tremble that told him that Lan Wangji had been just as uncertain of their chances of success as he had been. He raised a shaking hand to the unbound hair, feathering it gently through his fingers as Lan Wangji released his lips in favour of pressing kisses across his cheeks and forehead, the touch slow and gentle but he could sense the urgency beneath it.

'I'm alright, Lan Zhan,' he said, 'I'm here.'

'When I saw you lying there, when it shattered, I thought you were dead,' said Lan Wangji against his hair, 'I was afraid.'

'I'm sorry,' said Wei Wuxian, cursing the pains that kept him from holding him close.

'Don't be,' said Lan Wangji, 'I'm just relieved you're alright. Let's get out of here. I'm sure the others heard that explosion and they will be worrying.'

'I don't know that I can stand,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Even this is too upright for me right now.'

'I have carried you before,' said Lan Wangji, settling him more securely in his arms before he got to his feet with a little less grace than he normally had but without too much additional effort, 'Do you think you are capable of dropping the barrier?'

Wei Wuxian raised his aching arms to wrap around his neck, angling his body into him in the hope of offering a counterbalance for his own weight, 'It will be a test to see if I am still capable of anything now the Yin Hu Fu is gone.'

He reached into himself, bypassing habits formed when he still had his golden core and newer ones since he had forged the Yin Hu Fu, he reached for the nameless thing from the Han family books, something he understood at some instinctual level even if he could not put it into words. He felt the spark of sensation, weak but there and responding, a power his but not quite in his control. As they reached the first, most solid barrier, he reached for the spark, focusing on the spell he had used to forge it in the hope of pulling it down.

He felt Lan Wangji's sudden exhale, worrying that his injuries were more than he had thought them to be and that Wei Wuxian's weight was too much, but he relaxed a little at the fond sigh of exasperation.

'What are you trying to do?' said Lan Wangji.

'Break the barrier,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I can't get it right though.'

'You're trying to take power from me,' said Lan Wangji, 'Don't worry, it's not hurting and I know it wasn't your intention. Is it what the books taught? Do you need someone to assist you?'

'I don't know,' said Wei Wuxian, 'They didn't mention another person. I thought I was just reaching for my own power, whatever there is of it.'

'Well I suppose, to all intent, I am yours,' said Lan Wangji, balancing him so he could free a hand to dismiss the barrier himself, 'Do not try for now. We can experiment when we are both in a better state. I believe there are texts we can review on dual cultivation which we could then adapt to our own situation.'

Wei Wuxian laughed, 'Lan Zhan! You should not speak of such things when our clothes are ripped and we both look a mess and we are about to step out and faces our families. I'll blush.'

'I truly believe no one will even consider that as an option as to what has caused our state of undress,' said Lan Wangji, 'Though you are still the most handsome man to me, you are not looking your best right now.'

'One day, my darling Lan Zhan, I swear I will have you half dressed for a good reason,' said Wei Wuxian enjoying the faint rumble against him as Lan Wangji laughed.

'Soon. Soon we will be free and together in whichever way we wish to be.'

'Soon,' echoed Wei Wuxian against a yawn, fatigue rushing swiftly through his body, 'I feel like I have fought a war.'

'My love, I think you have been fighting for far longer than any of us know.'

Wei Wuxian had words he wanted to answer with but Lan Wangji's arms were warm and strong, the steady pace of his walk comforting. He knew he should stay awake to report what had happened to those waiting but sleep called too loudly and he couldn't help but respond.

****

The warm, savoury smell of soup roused Wei Wuxian from his sleep, the aches in his body immediately reminding him of their presence the moment he awoke but they were not as pronounced as they had been before thanks to Wen Qing's medicines and rest. The aches were at least a sensation he knew, the life of a cultivator, both before and after the loss of his core, lending itself to injury and overextension, but the strangeness of having power but not quite understanding how was something he did not yet have the ability to process.

Lan Qiren had frowned and stroked his beard when Wei Wuxian had tried to explain the feeling when he and Lan Wangji had had the worst of their injuries tended and led to a quite area of the main hall to rest. It was a look that had promised further study and Wei Wuxian was grateful to know that the mind that had discovered the writings of the Han family would be supporting him further. He had been content to just rest his aching body, further discussion and analysis of all that had passed in the Blood Pond Cave left for when they were both in a fitter state, but Lan Qiren had bullied him in to sitting beside Lan Wangji on one of the hastily arranged beds, the sound of Cleansing washing over them both.

Where before the melody had brought discomfort and pain, instead it now brought a peace and a strange sense of healing, his body reminded of when it had been whole but without the longing he had carried when his cultivation had been tied to the Yin Hu Fu. It had settled him, working with the concoction Wen Qing had forced him to drink, and allowed him to fall once more into the dreamless sleep he had succumbed to, if only briefly, in Lan Wangji's arms.

His eyes fell onto the bed next to him, Lan Wangji curled tight and deeply asleep, his own body healing from his injuries and the disturbance to his spiritual power. He looked soft, smaller than he should even on the small bed. Wei Wuxian wanted nothing more than abandon his own bed and slide beneath the covers with him but the sensation of another person behind him made him turn, Jiang Yanli's smile soft if a little tired as she met his gaze.

'How are you feeling A-Xian?' she said, brushing away the flyaway strands of his hair, 'You've slept so deeply.'

'I feel like something very large sat on me,' said Wei Wuxian, smiling as he saw the pinch on Jiang Yanli's brow, 'But I'm much better. I'll be fine soon, Shijie, I promise. Lan Zhan took very good care of me.'

'I'm glad,' she replied, 'But I wish he had not had to. I hope this is the last time you will worry me like that.'

'I hope so too. I'm still not sure what happened.'

'Things will become clearer in time, I'm sure,' said Jiang Yanli, 'For now though, you need to eat. I made it myself.'

Wei Wuxian pushed himself up to sitting, the warm bowl Jiang Yanli placed in his hands returning a little more sensation to him and grounding him with the familiar smells that drifted up from the soup.

'You spoil me,' he said, stirring it gently before he made to pass it back to her, 'Give it to A-Yuan. He needs a good dinner.'

Jiang Yanli smiled, 'He has already eaten two bowls of his own before he went to his own bed and you need a good dinner after what happened as well. We made sure there was plenty for everyone. I even made a separate one for those from GusuLan in keeping with their preferences. I am keeping some warm for when Lan Er-Gongzi wakes. Eat. I won't be happy until I see you finish that and then another. You need your strength.'

The first bite weighed pleasant and heavy in his stomach, sparking his hunger and he had to restrain himself from eating too quickly. The bowl was filled again almost as soon as he had lifted the last spoonful to his lips and he was grateful for it, even if his pace slowed a little.

'I haven't had a chance to thank you properly for what you did for A-Cheng,' said Jiang Yanli when she had deemed he had had sufficient at least to permit a conversation, 'Though I wish it had never had to occur, that there had been another way, I am grateful all the same. I know he is stubborn and will take a while to realise that what you did was purely out of love but I know I speak for him as well. I am so proud of the man you have become A-Xian.'

He was grateful for the task of chewing that prevented anything emotional leaving him, the small hand that rested on his arm saying more again than her words could. He took the moment the spoonful afforded him to collect himself, setting the spoon down with a clink before he spoke.

'I would do it again. I would do it a hundred times. I would do everything all over again so long as he, you, A-Ling and everyone here gets to be safe,' he said, 'I would do it again.'

'Not alone any more though,' said Jiang Yanli, 'Whatever happens in the next few days, you will never have to shoulder any of this alone again. We are all with you. We will not abandon you. If we had known the truth before...no, if we had been brave enough to see the truth before, we would have been here and I'm sorry we weren't.'

'You are here now,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I only hope we can finally get some peace. I have fulfilled everything I promised now. Wen Ning has agreed to explore the spells that can control his power and the ability to control him and the Yin Hu Fu is destroyed. I have nothing Jin Guangshan could want but I still fear...'

'He will not have the chance to counter you again, Zixuan will see to that,' said Jiang Yanli, a fierce pride lighting her eyes, 'He will ensure the world we bring A-Ling and his brother or sister up in will be one where something like this cannot happen again.'

Any playful remarks about Jin Zixuan's abilities died on Wei Wuxian's tongue as more important words hit home. 'Brother or sister?'

'Wen Qing confirmed it not long after we arrived but I did not want to disturb things further,' said Jiang Yanli, 'But yes, A-Ling will have a sibling soon.'

'Shijie that's wonderful,' said Wei Wuxian before darker thoughts overtook him, 'You shouldn't have been here! You've been working so hard.'

'You have another expectant mother working just as hard as I have been and without the support of her husband,' said Jiang Yanli, 'Trust us to know our capabilities. Women have been having babies and working whilst doing so for many years.'

'But you...'

'Know my own body and my own strengths,' said Jiang Yanli, 'I have done this before, A-Xian.'

'Not in a place like this,' said Wei Wuxian, 'We should get you to Lotus Pier. Jiang Cheng can spare a few men to take you back and your have your ladies. You should be somewhere you are safe.'

'Right now, I am safer here than I am anywhere else. I have the strength of YunmengJiang, GusuLan and YilingWei plus all their other friends to protect me alongside my husband. I have already discussed this with Jin Zixuan. When you go out to confront Jin Guangshan, I will stay here. I know there is a risk that the village will be a target but so will you all and I am afraid, if Jin Guangshan believes his son will betray him, he will not stop until...I dare not put it into words. I am unsafe wherever I go but I believe I can be safer and more useful here. A-Ling and I being away from everything will help Zixuan focus on what needs to be done.'

Wei Wuxian recognised the stubborn strength the woman before him had displayed on so many occasions, a strength of character and self that could rival any cultivation if she truly wanted it to.

'If you think that is best then you will be protected here,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I know the village will take care of you.'

'And I will help to take care of them,' said Jiang Yanli, looking over to the bed behind him as Lan Wangji grew restless with waking, 'I will go and get him something to eat.'

She collected Wei Wuxian's bowl, bending to press a kiss to his forehead before heading back through the makeshift hospital, leaving Wei Wuxian to turn to Lan Wangji as his eyes fluttered open. A sweetly confused look passed over him before memory returned and he managed a weak smile.

'How long did I sleep?' he said, rubbing at his eyes with the heels of his hands.

'I don't know,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I think it's dark outside but I've not been awake long myself. Are you feeling better?'

Lan Wangji nodded, 'Shufu helped a great deal but I will need a little more work. I don't regret it though.'

Wei Wuxian reached across and took his hand. 'I still can't believe we managed it.'

'Xiongzhang said everything rushed towards the cave when the explosion happened,' said Lan Wangji, 'And then the mountain fell silent. I believe, if any spirits remain, they will be benign, so engrained in the earth that nothing could move them but content there as well. Perhaps this place will finally know peace.'

'And us?' said Wei Wuxian, 'Do you think we will finally know peace?'

'I think we have a very good chance,' said Lan Wangji around a yawn, 'So long as we don't have to do anything for a day or so. I could sleep a whole day and a whole night.'

'Stay awake a while longer. Shijie went to fetch you supper and you should eat.'

'Isn't it me who usually tells you to eat?' said Lan Wangji, sitting himself up slowly on the bed.

'Usually ,' said Wei Wuxian, 'But things seem to be changing so I thought I would follow the fashion of the day.'

'Don't change too much though,' said Lan Wangji, 'I like my Wei Ying exactly as he is.'

Wei Wuxian braced his hands on the bed before him, pressing a kiss to Lan Wangji's lips. 'Believe me, I've had enough changes for a while,' he said, 'Let's have a few days before we change anything else.'

'Mn. A few days and then one more hill to climb.'

'One more hill,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I think we can manage that.'

Chapter 31: Action

Notes:

Hi all. I am sorry this is so late. Between the kitten getting sick (she's fine now!), a major water leak four days before we went on holiday that we had to rush to get fixed and then the holiday itself where I was so busy catching up with old friends and enjoying being in my own heartland for the first time in six years that I never once picked up a pen to write, everything got a little delayed. I hope the chapter makes up for it though.

Chapter Text

Lan Wangji opened his eyes, the room dark around him and quiet. He knew it must nearly five, his body still in the habits of his upbringing but he resisted the impulse to immediately leave his bed and begin the day. The body snuggled tight against him was warm, snuffling softly, and he could not resist pressing a kiss to the messy head before reaching out to trail sleepy fingers over the arm of the third occupant of their little nest.

The storeroom had been cleared enough for two makeshift beds to be installed, designed to promote rest as Lan Wangji had worked through the mild injury his use of Chenqing had caused and Wei Wuxian had worked on developing a new cultivation pathway with the help of Lan Qiren and the Han family's book. It had not taken either of them long to master what they needed to, Wei Wuxian especially keen to experiment and in less than a day he had begun to find a way to channel his power. As Lan Wangji restored his own spiritual energy, he watched his lover take steps that he was sure no other cultivator had taken, building on the teachings in the book with his own keen intelligence. He hoped that it was a path that would not be frowned upon as his previous one had been, the cultivation once more unorthodox but not based in anything the world could find issue with.

When Lan Wangji had felt strong enough, they had spent several hours experimenting with what Wei Wuxian could do as Lan Wangji lent him a steady stream of spiritual energy. Though the results were inconclusive, he knew they would not abandon the route and he planned, once they had married and Lan Qiren could no longer protest, to explore dual cultivation in the hope it would make them both stronger.

Wei Wuxian seemed determined to test the support Lan Qiren had given their relationship though, even without dual cultivation being mentioned, closing the distance between their beds until they were pressed side by side on only the second night of their recuperation so they could sleep in the familiar comfort of each other's arms. Any grumbling had been cut short by A-Yuan almost as soon as the change had been discovered, the child declaring loudly that going forwards he would be sleeping between them both as he had before the attack. So Lan Wangji found himself once more cradling his son between himself and Wei Wuxian, the two of them more than content to restore their old habits.

A-Yuan snuffled against him, burrowing his nose into the folds of his robes, and Lan Wangji pressed a kiss to the crown of his head. Wei Wuxian's breathing was still even and deep, the nightmares not nearly as frequent as they had been days before and Lan Wangji had watched with relief the change in him. Gone was the frantic energy that bordered on mania from before, replaced with a focus and a drive that was well thought out and steady, yet still with the enthusiasm of his youth.

Lan Wangji was tempted to go back to sleep if only to enjoy the sensation of holding his two greatest loves close for longer but he could hear the sound of people outside the cave, those in the village from the Cloud Recesses still rising early and taking on the tasks of the morning before the villagers joined them later. He knew he would soon be missed and so gently removed himself from A-Yuan's side, tucking the blankets around him as he whimpered at the loss of his warmth.

'Sleep, little radish, your DieDie is still with you,' he said, reaching over to stroke Wei Wuxian's hair as he spoke, 'He'll look after you.'

He dressed in the dim light, the clothes strange for their newness despite the still simple design. He had wondered, when Lan Xichen had left the village several days before, what had made his brother leave with only a few words, worrying that bad news had been sent or that he had bad news to report of his own. His return with bolts of material and several seamstresses though had been a surprise, especially when he had asked for new clothes to be made for those most in need. It had given employment as well to several of the Wens who were yet bedridden but capable and soon there had been a group chattering happily in the corner of the main hall as they sewed the simple garments.

A-Yuan had strutted around like the finest young master when he had been given his own new clothes, Wei Wuxian teasing that he would rival Jin Zixuan for his swagger one day. Where before the words would have been barbed, they instead had brought a laugh to Jin Zixuan's lips and a counter that Wei Wuxian had no doubt been A-Yuan's mentor long before he had arrived.

Lan Wangji had been surprised to receive a set of his own, content to just mend those he already had and patching wherever the bloodstains could not be fully washed out, but he had been unable to refuse Wen Popo when she had handed them to him, promising it had been the best work her hands were capable of. He now wore them with as much pride he had had in his finest white robes, knowing there was love and family in every seam.

When he was fully dressed, he righted the covers over his sleeping family, bending to press a kiss to Wei Wuxian's forehead before he headed out into the thin light of the morning. The Lan disciples were already at their tasks, the physical labours different from what they had known in the Cloud Recesses but they had turned their hand to them easily all the same. Even his brother had his sleeves pinned back as dragged a rake back and forth over the ground, breaking up any heavy clumps of soil before bending to pick out a stone or two that would hamper the growth of anything planted there.

'Wangji, good morning,' he said, his smile bright as Lan Wangji reached his side, 'Did you sleep well?'

Lan Wangji nodded, 'It is easier when A-Yuan comes to bed before we sleep than to be woken by him in the middle of the night,' he said, 'He and Wei Ying sleep better now the Yin Hu Fu has been destroyed.'

'I am glad of it,' said Lan Xichen, any reservations he had had about his brother's relationship and the closeness of it before marriage having remained silent and Lan Wangji hoped it was through acceptance rather than a worry that Lan Wangji would persist all the same, 'It is good that this place knows some peace. Have you seen Shufu? He was saying he wanted you.'

'Not yet,' said Lan Wangji, 'I will look for him.'

'I believe he went to the watch tower to speak with Wen-Gongzi. Though the talismans to contain his powers seems to be working well, I believe Shufu wanted to make sure there were no ill effects on Wen-Gongzi himself.'

Lan Wangji smiled, 'I never thought Shufu would care so much for our little village or the people in it.'

'I think it comes very much from the fact that you care for them so deeply,' said Lan Xichen, 'And that part of that village includes a certain Wen Yuan.'

'He certainly charms all he meets,' said Lan Wangji, 'I hope one day he can do so further afield.'

'He will,' said Lan Xichen, 'Go and find Shufu, he seemed intent on speaking with you.'

Lan Wangji nodded, leaving his brother to his task as he headed towards the watch tower. He climbed the ladder, low voices above him calm and friendly, Lan Qiren having found an unusual companion in Wen Ning in the days since he had arrived to help them.

'Shufu,' he said as he reached the top of the ladder and both occupants of the tower turned to face him, 'Xiongzhang said you were looking for me.'

Lan Qiren nodded, 'I need you to accompany me to Yiling,' he said, 'If we go now, we will still be back to help with the morning's tasks.'

Lan Wangji nodded, 'Will I need anything?'

'Your sword,' said Lan Qiren, 'We will fly when we reach a suitable part of the mountain to depart from.'

'Then I will meet you at the gate. I should inform Wei Ying that I am leaving.'

His curiosity was piqued but he did not question his uncle further, knowing that the answers would be forthcoming when Lan Qiren was willing to share them. He could sense no undertone of anger or worry in his voice though and so climbed down the ladder after a passing a brief greeting with Wen Ning before returning quickly to the space he shared with Wei Wuxian. Though Bichen was located closer to the exit than the bed, he still crossed to it, laying a hand on Wei Wuxian's shoulder and squeezing gently as he whispered against his ear so as not to wake A-Yuan.

'Wei Ying, my love, wake up for me.'

Wei Wuxian groaned in his sleep but his eyes soon blinked open, turning his head as his arms remained pinned by A-Yuan.

'Lan Zhan?'

'Don't worry,' he said, 'And don't move too much. You have a sleepy radish.'

Wei Wuxian turned back to the child in his arms, pressing his face into his hair and breathing deeply for a moment before turning back to Lan Wangji.

'Our lovely sleepy radish,' he said fondly, 'Come lie down with us, Lan Zhan.'

'I have to go into Yiling with Shufu.'

'Yiling?' said Wei Wuxian, 'Why? Is everything alright?'

'I believe so,' said Lan Wangji, 'Shufu hasn't said what the venture is for but I do not believe anything is amiss. If plans go ahead as discussed, we will face Jin Guangshan soon, we will need to make sure we are prepared.'

'Just be careful,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Beyond the gate...'

'Don't worry. I will be fine and home before you know it.'

Wei Wuxian smiled, 'Are you sure Lan-Xiansheng doesn't intend to spirit you away?'

'Mn. He may be tempted but I think our son has rather won him round to accepting this family.'

'A-Yuan is magic,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Kiss me before you go.'

Lan Wangji leaned down, kissing him briefly before tugging the blankets up his shoulder, 'Go back to sleep. I'll be home soon.'

'Mmm, love you.'

'I love you too. Sleep.'

Wei Wuxian didn't take much more persuasion, curling back around their son and quickly falling back to sleep.

Lan Wangji did not linger longer, stashing a small purse into his robes before heading towards the gate with Bichen in hand. Lan Qiren was already waiting for him, his posture relaxed rather than impatient at the delay. With a nod to the two guards on watch by the gate, they passed beneath it and Lan Wangji felt a familiar sense of unease in moving further away from the village than he preferred to be.

'They are well guarded,' said Lan Qiren as they made their way to the barrier, 'And we will not be long.'

'Is there a reason for our trip, Shufu?' said Lan Wangji, knowing months before he would have waited to be told rather than questioning but his life in the Burial Mounds had changed much including his relationship with the man who had raised him.

'Your son,' said Lan Qiren as easily as if it had been the truth for years rather than days and Lan Wangji's heart fluttered with the joy of it.

'A-Yuan?'

Lan Qiren gave him a look that would have been called teasing had it been on anyone else's face, 'Unless you have another hidden away up here.'

Lan Wangji bit back a laugh, 'Just him...for now.'

'I can see you both never turning away a dirty cheek or a worn pair of shoes if they present themselves to you in need,' said Lan Qiren with a small sigh, 'You will be poor but happy raising every orphan rascal you come across.'

'That would suit us both well,' said Lan Wangji, trying not to allow his mind to drift onto the thought of him and Wei Wuxian surrounded by however many young souls in need, a family of misfits finding their way together.

'Let's have you married first,' said Lan Qiren, as they reached the barrier, 'And in a position where you are not confined to this place.'

Lan Wangji breached the spell for long enough to allow them to pass through, ensuring it was securely closed behind them.

'Why are we going to Yiling for A-Yuan though? He has new clothes and enough books to be working with when we have time for lessons.'

'One day, he is going to drop that egg of his,' said Lan Qiren, 'And he will be heartbroken. He needs something to replace it. I have compensated one of the farmers in the village but he is otherwise busy so cannot deliver the birds himself. We must collect them and you have more experience in the handling of them now than I could offer.'

'Birds?' said Lan Wangji, 'You have bought A-Yuan chickens?'

'He cannot simply carry an egg around forever and he speaks about them all the time,' said Lan Qiren, 'It is good for him to have something to take responsibility for rather than getting himself underfoot all the time.'

Lan Wangji bit his lip against any further words, knowing his uncle would only grow gruff and defensive if he was thanked for the gift. He read the acceptance in it though, the welcoming of the young boy who carried none of Lan Wangji's blood into his family all the same.

When they reached a safe space to fly from, conversation gave way out of necessity but Lan Wangji could see the firm set of his uncle's mouth whenever he turned to him, the expression one he had seen sparingly in his youth that was often followed by a rare smile. Though he would have happily said he did not need anyone's blessing to follow his heart once it had been set, he was overjoyed to have his uncle's support. He hoped, when the world finally saw the truth of who was worthy and who deceitful, that Lan Qiren would be there to welcome them to the Cloud Recesses, to show A-Yuan those spaces only kept for family and teach him as he had once taught Lan Wangji albeit with a gentleness brought by age.

Yiling was waking when they reached it, landing on the outskirts, and Lan Wangji realised the farmer they were heading to was one he and Mianmian had served before. He was already waiting for them, several empty cages waiting on a barrow as the chickens clucked away in their pen. There were several more than they had had before the attack, enough to make keeping them actually worthwhile for the eggs they would produce rather than the small handful they had previously had. He was sure A-Yuan would devote himself entirely to them as he had before, more so when he knew they were a gift from his beloved Lan-Shushu which Lan Wangji was determined to ensure.

He soon found himself helping the farmer to load the chickens into the cages and then onto the cart that appeared to be a part of the deal. He kept his back discreetly turned as money was exchanged, knowing his uncle would have been over generous despite his gruffness. Lan Wangji's own charity having been learned young from how often his uncle had overpaid the minor traders in Caiyi when he had noticed the broken spoke of a wheel or one too many patches on well-worn clothes.

With final words of thanks and farewell, the chickens gave an indignant squawk as Lan Wangji eased the cart through the gate, remembering the months before when he had made the journey back to the village with a similar load and hoping the outcome would be a different one for A-Yuan's new friends.

Greetings from those who knew him as part of the village in the Burial Mounds along with those who he had helped whenever there had been need for a cultivator slowed their path a little, several who were already planning to make their way up the mountain to help with the rebuilding of the village joining them. He was pleased to see Lan Qiren fall into conversation with those he knew, discussing materials and plans for the structures that still needed attention.

He soon found himself similarly with several of the younger men who he had spent the day with before he and Wei Wuxian had destroyed the Yin Hu Fu, the necessity of communication as they had shifted several large support posts into place for one of the houses soon leading to an easy camaraderie that would have been alien to Lan Wangji before he had made his home in the Burial Mounds.

At first he did not recognise the voice that called for his uncle but the greeting, respectful but familiar, had him raising his head to see Nie Mingjue with several of his closest disciples head towards them. The arrival of the QingheNie leader was not unexpected, knowing that Lan Xichen had kept him fully informed of all events, but the slight hurry to their pace put Lan Wangji on edge.

He left the barrow with his companions as he moved through the small crowd to reach Nie Mingjue and his uncle, unable to miss the widening of the former's eyes as he took in the sight of him in his far simpler clothes, made all the more apparent against the pristine white and blue of Lan Qiren. He covered it quickly though, instead greeting them both as though he had met them formally in the Cloud Recesses rather than in the main street of Yiling.

'I was on my way to the Burial Mounds when I caught sight of you both,' said Nie Mingjue once the formalities were done with, 'I have news.'

'News?' said Lan Wangji, fingers twitching in anticipation of reaching for the talisman tucked into his robes that would alert those in the village to any danger.

Nie Mingjue nodded, 'Jin Guangshan is telling those who support him that Wei Wuxian and the Wens in the Burial Mounds have taken Jin Zixuan and his wife and son hostage. Though there is plenty of evidence to suggest otherwise, those who wish to court his favour may support him if he chooses to mount an attack. I think, whatever you had planned to counter him with, should be brought to light swiftly. A delay could be costly though I have our storyteller ensuring that the truth of the unprovoked attack is being spread far and wide.'

'Let us not create a panic,' said Lan Qiren, 'Everything is already in place. We will return to the village and make those there aware of what is going on. We had planned to take the discussion to Yunmeng to avoid too many being close to the village. Do you think we still have time to make the journey?'

Nie Mingjue nodded, 'My scouts haven't mentioned any large groups moving to the area. You have time,' he said, 'If you plan to leave the Burial Mounds, I have people I can leave to help defend it.'

'Any help would be appreciated,' said Lan Wangji, 'Though any final decision belongs to Wei Ying and the Wens as to how we proceed.'

'Will you walk with us?' said Lan Qiren, 'We have a delivery to make that would not do well in the air.'

'A delivery?' said Nie Mingjue.

'Chickens for A-Yuan,' said Lan Qiren, 'Jin Guangshan's thugs did not discriminate over the lives they took. The child should not have to suffer for his cruelty.'

Lan Wangji knew it would take more than chickens to heal the trauma of A-Yuan's young life but it would certainly be a conduit to allow him to move towards healing. He only hoped that their efforts in the preceding weeks would lead to decisions going their way and that freedom and safety and a chance to be a child would turn the horror of his young life into a distant memory.

The Nie disciples soon bolstered the group already making their way to the Burial Mounds, Nie Mingjue falling into step with Lan Qiren and Lan Wangji as the latter pushed the softly clucking chickens in their barrow. Lan Wangji was glad for both his uncle and Nie Mingjue's additional strength, making it easier to navigate the narrower, rocky paths the higher up the mountain they got without jostling the easily annoyed cargo too much. The journey was quicker than the time he had made it alone, the barrier coming upon him quicker than he anticipated.

The warning talismans had clearly activated at the numbers climbing the hill with him, Wen Ning flanked by two Jiang disciples waiting for them by the gate. The usual greetings followed as Wen Ning lowered the barrier for them, those from the village following the Jiang disciples back up the hill. Lan Wangji laughed as Wen Ning's eyes fell to the chickens in the cart he was pushing before he looked up with an eyebrow raised in question.

'For A-Yuan,' he said as Wen Ning made his way over to them, fingers hovering beside one cage as the chicken cocked its head in confusion, sensing the otherness of the man beside it but seemingly finding him harmless.

'We don't have a cage,' said Wen Ning, helping Lan Wangji drag it over several stubborn rocks.

'I can build another with Si-Shu like last time,' said Lan Wangji, 'A-Yuan can help as well, it will keep him entertained.'

'You will have to drag him away from A-Ling,' said Wen Ning, 'They have been playing.'

'It will need to wait anyway, at least for my part in it,' said Lan Wangji, 'Nie-Zongzhu has come with news. We should gather the others.'

'If you can manage, I will inform them.'

Lan Wangji nodded, 'I will manage,' he said, 'Tell Wei Ying not to become concerned.'

Wen Ning smiled, 'I will tell him. He will not listen.'

'I know.'

'He is different,' said Nie Mingjue as Wen Ning headed away from them at a quicker place, soon disappearing into the sparse trees, 'More...'

Lan Wangji heard the words unspoken, 'normal' or 'human' easily finishing the sentence. He knew, even if the world granted them their freedom, it would take far longer for his friend to be accepted in it. Wen Ning's life would forever need to be a quiet one, an undetected one, if he wished to live without censure. He was only grateful that Wen Ning was inclined to quietude.

'This is his home,' he said, easing the cart up a slightly steeper part of the incline, 'He is comfortable here, amongst friends.'

Nie Mingjue's expression wavered with unease, clearly uncertain if he should apologise or explain his words. Lan Wangji dared a look at Lan Qiren, seeing the faint darkening of his brow that would have usually led to a sharp correction before he had had time to come to know Wen Ning as a person rather than a story to be feared. It heartened him that his uncle had seen and learned much in his short time with them.

He was unsurprised to see Wei Wuxian waiting for them not much further up the path, his smile bright but with an edge to it that Lan Wangji recognised as panic, the unexpected never welcome in their small corner of the world. Lan Wangji set the barrow down, the chickens clucking at the change in angle but settling quickly, and made his way to him, grateful as Lan Qiren and Nie Mingjue slowed their own steps to allow them a moment.

'Chifeng-Zun?' said Wei Wuxian by way of greeting, his fingers quickly tightening as Lan Wangji took his hand.

'Here in friendship and with news,' he replied, 'Don't worry. We might need to act a little faster than we intended but we were not far off prepared anyway.'

'I wanted longer to work on the defences here,' said Wei Wuxian, 'When we leave...'

'They will be fine. You have done everything you can to keep them safe and Xiongzhang and Jiang-Zongzhu are leaving men to protect them. Chifeng-Zun has people he can spare. With Wen Ning, Qing-jie and Mianmian here, they will be well cared for. I can still stay if you prefer though I want to be with you. Even with so many friends around you, I want to be able to protect you.'

Wei Wuxian sighed, 'And you are the only one I can wholly trust,' he said, 'And I need someone there who can get back and warn people if anything goes wrong. I should welcome our guests and then we can take A-Yuan his chickens. Wen Ning told me about that first. You are soft, Lan Zhan.'

Lan Wangji shook his head, 'Not me. Shufu bought them.'

'Lan-Xiansheng bought chickens for a Wen exile?'

'No. Shufu bought chickens for our son. It seems, for a child that came here with only a handful of family members, A-Yuan is very adept at adopting people who will spoil him as he deserves.'

Wei Wuxian's smile grew more relaxed as they made their way over to Lan Qiren and Nie Mingjue. 'I remember a famous day in Yiling when he managed to secure himself his A-Die.'

'To complement the one he already had,' said Lan Wangji, joining him as they both formally welcomed Nie Mingjue to their home.

Though matters were pressing, Lan Wangji was glad for a few short moments when Wei Wuxian was able to accompany him and Lan Qiren to deliver the chickens to A-Yuan once Nie Mingjue had been left in the company of Lan Xichen, Jin Zixuan and Jiang Cheng, watched over by Wen Qing. Lan Qiren had tried to excuse himself from delivering them but Wei Wuxian's assurance that he would claim all the glory for it soon had the older man grudgingly accompanying them, though Lan Wangji did not miss the slight tone of fondness in his uncle's voice even as he scolded Wei Wuxian.

He wished he could have bottled A-Yuan's reaction, the young boy speechless for a moment as he regarded his new pets before he bounced so swiftly on his toes that Lan Wangji believed he may well fly without the use of a sword. As the bouncing ceased, he had stared wide-eyed, unmoving save for the trembling of his bottom lip until he had moved quicker than lightning, nearly toppling Lan Qiren as he barrelled into his legs and hugging him tight around his waist as he sobbed out his gratitude.

Lan Wangji only just held back his own happy tears at the sight, more so as Lan Qiren gently released himself from A-Yuan's vice-like grip only to kneel before him and sweep him into a true hug. He knew it should pain him that he had known such a touch more infrequently than he had needed as a child from the man who now so easily hugged the child Lan Wangji had taken as his son but instead he felt pride that the sometimes difficult journey he and his uncle had shared had come to such a place of happiness and the love of the same small child.

Wei Wuxian was not quite as able to contain his emotions, pressing his forehead against Lan Wangji's shoulder as his fingers curled into his sleeve with a small, happy sob.

It took several long moments for A-Yuan to calm enough to be safely removed from Lan Qiren's arms, though he soon flung himself into an awkward embrace with Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian with too many arms but none of them cared.

The promise of helping Si-Shu to build a new enclosure for the chickens finally persuaded A-Yuan to release them to the more onerous task that awaited them, even if Lan Wangji wished they could stretch the happy moment a little longer.

Lan Wangji had already turned to walk towards the main hall when he realised that neither Lan Qiren or Wei Wuxian were beside him. He turned in time to see Wei Wuxian rising from a deep, respectful bow to his former teacher, the smile on his face warm and genuine. The hand Lan Qiren set on Wei Wuxian's shoulder before he turned them both towards Lan Wangji said as much as any bow or smile could, the touch promised that, however much Lan Wangji's choice of husband would always challenge his uncle, Wei Wuxian would be family all the same.

The warmth carried him even if his steps felt a little heavy, knowing the conversation that awaited them was the first of several final steps on the long journey they had been on but it suddenly made the gravity of it feel all too real. Long fingers slipped into his and he was glad for Lan Qiren's sudden wilful blindness that allowed him to indulge in the feel of Wei Wuxian's hand in his all the way to the main hall.

The others were already gathered around a hastily set up table, their faces set as Lan Wangji expected them to be. Nie Mingjue was determined if a little uncertain in the room where he had once been dressed down by a child, sat beside Lan Xichen who wore a mask of quiet concern but Lan Wangji could see what lay beneath, knowing his brother was warring with his desire to sue for peace rather than the more confrontational path they were choosing to take. Jiang Cheng looked set for a fight, his cheeks heightened pink and his eyes sharp, in contrast to Jin Zixuan at his side who looked a hair's breadth from losing any food he had eaten that morning. The only two serene faces came in the form of Wen Qing and Jiang Yanli, one for the fact that she had been long resigned to whatever fate the world gave her and the other who saw good and hope in everything despite there still being odds stacked against them.

'Right then,' said Wei Wuxian, loosing his hold on Lan Wangji and clapping his hands together in mock anticipation, 'What demands does he have for me now or are you here to tell me all is forgiven, Chifeng-Zun?'

Nie Mingjue smiled, 'Nothing so dramatic on either side but something that requires your serious attention, Wei-Zongzhu.'

Wei Wuxian instantly sobered, all levity pushed aside for the leader he truly was, focused entirely on the people he cared for as he waited for Lan Wangji and Lan Qiren to sit in the vacant seats before taking his own. 'Tell me what's happening.'

'Jin Guangshan knows something is wrong,' said Nie Mingjue, 'Zewu-Jun wrote to me of the attack and the aftermath, what they attempted to spread in the village. The fact that instead Yiling has rallied to help you will have reached him. He knows his plan failed. He knows there is more representation of the major sects here than is at his side. He is panicking and he will move against you soon. He is telling all who will hear him that you and the Wens have taken Jin-Gongzi and his family captive, he will play upon that and garner support to move against you. You know enough of some of the sects who would use this to further their own aims. If it comes to a fight, we will rally for you but it would be better to avoid bloodshed if you can. If you intend to confront him, you need to move now. Get him on the back foot.'

Lan Wangji waited for Wei Wuxian to look his way, to seek reassurance as he always did, but instead he watched as he rose to his feet, standing tall and confident as he looked down at those at the table.

'Then we move,' he said, nodding at Wen Qing, 'Jiang Cheng and Zewu-Jun have agreed to leave behind people to defend YilingWei. Chifeng-Zun, if you can bolster those forces at all, I would be grateful. The villagers will barricade themselves in the hall, Wen Qing, Luo-Guniang and Wen Ning will be their last defence but I hope it won't come to that. It is early enough that we can leave today if necessary. Jiang Cheng, can Lotus Pier take us as such short notice?'

Jiang Cheng nodded, 'I cannot promise the most extravagant welcome but we are ready. As soon as we are done here, I will send someone ahead to let them know we are coming.'

'Good,' said Wei Wuxian, 'We will need to send someone to Lanling, officially. Tell Jin Guangshan that I have met his demands and wish to talk to him in Lotus Pier. Send it to the other sects as well, tell them to meet us there, that I want to discuss the terms of our freedom.'

'I am happy to do so on your behalf,' said Lan Xichen.

'You can include my name alongside yours,' said Nie Mingjue.

'Mine too,' said Jiang Cheng, 'Obviously.'

'And mine,' said Jin Zixuan, 'When all the sects see my name it will make them think twice if my father has persuaded them towards further sanctions against you. Let my father worry about what he stands to lose even more than I am sure he already realises.'

'We will need to travel in several groups,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Though we have kept the fact we have a prisoner as quiet as we can, the Burial Mounds are not as secretive as they once were so word may have got out. I will be a target, he will be a target, Jin Zixuan may be a target if only to lay the blame on us. If we may borrow disciple robes, we can pass a little more unnoticed.'

'A good idea,' said Lan Xichen, 'As I am sure Wangji will want to travel with you, we have clothes you can borrow.'

'I fear, given that you have been our benefactors so far, anyone wearing GusuLan robes may be their first port of call,' said Wei Wuxian, 'And if not, they will look to YunmengJiang.'

'Then you both may come with me,' said Nie Mingjue, 'I have kept away to be seen as a little more impartial and I do not think Jin Guangshan has the capacity to think we will call his bluff.'

'Quite,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Zewu-Jun, I think it best if Jin Zixuan travels with you. If you are waylaid at all, there should be little threat to either of you. I do not think even Jin Guangshan is stupid enough to attempt his own son's life whilst in the care of GusuLan. Jiang Cheng, I want to leave the prisoner in your hands. He has behaved and we have promised mercy if he speaks for us so I do not think he will give you trouble.'

Jiang Cheng nodded, Zidian crackling a little at his wrist, 'He will be wise to think twice.'

Wei Wuxian laughed softly, 'Just don't hit him as hard as you hit me, alright?'

'He doesn't annoy me as much as you do,' said Jiang Cheng, a small smile curling the corner of his lips, 'Now we have a plan, is there any reason we are sitting around like a group of aunties rather than getting moving?'

'Until we reach Lotus Pier, I don't think we have any more to plan,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Unless anyone else has anything to put forward?'

'I'm with Jiang-Zongzhu,' said Nie Mingjue, 'We have enough talking to come without doing more now.'

'Well then, Wen Qing, Lan Zhan and I will talk with the Wens and make sure everything is prepared here. We should leave as soon as we have made the necessary preparations, give ourselves a head start.'

The table soon rose, all of them better suited to action now tasks had been assigned. Lan Wangji waited for most to head off before he reached out and clasped Wei Wuxian's hand in his, hoping the touch conveyed the pride that had only grown stronger inside him as he had watched his lover become the leader he always knew he could be.

Wen Qing, it seemed, had similar thoughts, making her way around the table to Wei Wuxian but stopping a short distance away from him and bowing with all the gravity she would show to any sect leader.

'Wei-Zongzhu,' she said, 'Let me know what you need us to do.'

Wei Wuxian looked set to wave off the words with a joke but caught himself, smiling as he reached out for her hand with his free one. 'Live and stay safe,' he said, 'Leave the rest to me. When I return, you will be free, I will make sure of it.'

The promise brokered no argument, his words solid and true, a conviction that had been missing for so long. Lan Wangji was glad to finally hear it, to know that Wei Wuxian would head into what lay before them with as much courage and confidence as he could. He knew he would be proud to stand beside him as he did so.

Before he could give anything further thought, he was caught up in the preparations they needed to make. Though they had been making ready for leaving the Burial Mounds to confront Jin Guangshan, they had planned for several days ahead and they wanted to be thorough despite the altered timings. The Wens all threw themselves into the preparations with the same zeal as they had everything else, determined to remain as safe as possible whilst Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji were away, confidently stating that they expected Wei Wuxian home with good news as soon as he was assured of it. Their confidence helped a little with the nerves Lan Wangji forced aside but he knew he would not truly be at ease until they were home once more.

Whilst the preparations kept them occupied, time soon found them ready to depart, dressed in borrowed QingheNie disciple robes with Lan Wangji's ribbon tucked away in a qiankun pouch and Bichen masked with a hastily designed talisman from Wei Wuxian. The cut of the clothes was strange, adding to the itch beneath his skin at the thought of leaving, part of him wanting to stay and guard them, despite leaving many capable to do so, warring against the part that knew he needed to be at Wei Wuxian's side.

Their farewell to A-Yuan was the hardest, their words light and positive but the child was no fool, all too aware of the outcomes that could occur. His arms had been tight as he wept against them, making them swear they would return to them and they had done so even though time could prove them liars. He knew, if anything happened to either of them, the other would carry the duty of fatherhood they had taken on together and raise A-Yuan how he deserved to be raised. Their son's love would sustain them in the days ahead, a beacon for them to keep in sight even if things grew dark.

Lan Wangji felt the love of not just their son but the whole of the Burial Mounds family in his heart as they finally left the village and headed towards the gate, not least due to the newest robes folded neatly with his ribbon in the qiankun pouch he carried. The did not have the richness or the perfectly measured cut of those he had grown up wearing, though they were far most extravagant than anything he had had cause to wear since he had become an active part of their village. The senior Wen women had surprised both he and Wei Wuxian with wrapped parcels when they had begun to excuse themselves to leave, instructing them to open them to see what lay inside. The robes were black, edged with a red that mimicked Wei Wuxian's ribbon perfectly, the hems sewn with an insignia they had never truly adopted but had been etched onto the gate and other structures after Wei Wuxian had designed it with more humour than seriousness one evening. A set for Wei Wuxian and a set for Lan Wangji, the first robes cut and sewn purposefully for YilingWei by those they had sworn to protect. He knew he would turn many heads wearing them instead of his expected white, more so when people realised just how close it placed him at Wei Wuxian's side.

He found himself strangely longing for the moment when he would hear the whispers of realisation that his support was wholly and entirely for the people in the Burial Mounds despite what the outlandish stories would have people believe. He longed even more for the aftermath when they were given their freedom and he could inform the gaping, grasping sect leaders who had long opposed them that YilingWei would soon be joined in marriage with GusuLan making them far stronger than they already were.

Though their marriage had been a fixed thing since long before they had ever spoken of it, Lan Wangji had not allowed himself the indulgence of thinking of it in too much detail for fear of something snatching it away. As he flew towards Lotus Pier though, perched on a disguised Bichen with his hands grasping his lover's waist, he let his mind wander. He had been to several weddings in his life; lavish, over indulgent affairs that had usually had him on edge until it reached a point where it was polite enough for him to excuse himself to his rooms. He could not find it in him to imagine he and Wei Wuxian in such a setting. Instead, he pictured their wedding as a quiet affair, attended by those who wished to be there for them rather than for the politics and the pageantry. A simple, peaceful wedding to suit the simple peaceful life they longed to share. He would be as happily married beside one of their tiny fields in the village as he would be in any grand hall.

He wanted to share his thoughts with the man in his arms but he could feel the tension in his body, see the tightness of his face in his profile and knew his mind was far from such happy thoughts, focused instead on the gathering before them and wondering if he had done enough to secure the freedom of the people they loved. Rather than speak, he tightened his hands, feeling Wei Wuxian relax a little and lean back into him, his back against Lan Wangji's chest. Words weren't necessary, not when they would only go in circles, so instead Lan Wangji pressed a kiss to his temple, taking advantage of the height they flew at to conceal it. The silent comfort their companion for the rest of their journey.

The night was dark when they finally reached the gates of Lotus Pier but there were disciples waiting for them when they did, Jiang Cheng having headed the first party to leave the Burial Mounds to prepare as best he could for their arrival. With assurances that the prisoner was well contained and guarded, and those from the Lan sect and Jin Zixuan landed and given rooms, Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji found themselves led to their own room for the night.

He had expected Jiang Cheng to be petty and separate them but security it seemed had trumped his ire, the two of them given a room that had space for them both, guarded by two Jiang disciples outside the door and the windows shuttered against the world outside. Food had been left on the table for them but they neither of them ate much, fatigue and anxiety leaving them with little appetite and it was the work of only a suggestion for them to be removing their borrowed outer robes and sinking into the closest bed side by side despite there being one for each of them.

Years of training made it easy for Lan Wangji to find sleep, even in different places with the bed feeling too soft beneath him after months of their hard, unyielding straw mattress in the village. Wei Wuxian though could not sleep, despite that stillness Lan Wangji could feel him forcing to allow him to find his rest.

'Wei Ying,' he said, keeping his voice low in the dark room, 'We will be alright.'

'Should we have stayed in the village?' said Wei Wuxian, hands reaching for Lan Wangji's and holding them tightly in his own, 'Waited until Jin Guangshan was here before we left them?'

'Either way, his presence means nothing,' said Lan Wangji, 'If he plans an attack, he will not sully his own hands in being present. Whether we are here now or arrived after he did, if an attack is planned his men will find themselves facing far more than farmers. Our family is well-protected, my love.'

'I promised I would keep them safe.'

'And you are doing so. Being here and allowing our friends to show their support whilst demonstrating to the world that you have been wholly cooperative. You are placing yourself in the strongest position you possibly can by being here before him.'

Wei Wuxian was silent for several long moments before he breathed out a shuddering sigh. 'I'm frightened, Lan Zhan.'

'You would be foolish if you weren't but have faith, borrow mine if you need to.'

'You always have enough for the both of us,' said Wei Wuxian, releasing his hands in favour of pressing Lan Wangji onto his back and crowding up next to him, cheek coming to rest over his heart, 'I never thought I would sleep in this place again. I never thought I would see much beyond Yiling before...well, perhaps I am no longer destined to die as I thought I was.'

'I believe we have a long, fulfilled life waiting for us,' said Lan Wangji, 'I know it is hard to think much beyond the next few days but imagine returning home, freedom assured, imagine telling our family that YilingWei stands and will stand forever. Imagine A-Yuan finally free to call you Die-Die in front of the whole world, our first disciple, our son. Imagine the day others call him Da-Shixiong and follow him through the gate and out into the world.'

He knew his lover was smiling despite being unable to see it, tracing gentle fingers over his sleeve as he allowed him to bask in the image for a few moments.

'I think he will be very much looking forward to the day he can go to the Cloud Recesses for lectures if only to spend time with his dear Lan-Shushu,' said Wei Wuxian finally, 'Lan Zhan, I want to see him pass beneath that gate, a man in his own right, strong and certain in all we have taught him.'

Lan Wangji kissed the crown of his head, 'All our children, every young man and woman we train when we are free to do so, will be strong and certain the day they pass through that gate as adults. Strong and certain that words written upon the wood, the rules they live by, will ever be sturdy and strong to welcome them home again.'

'Home,' said Wei Wuxian around a yawn, 'Lan Zhan, will you sing for me like you do at home.'

It was the easiest thing to acquiesce, allowing his thoughts to drift back to their family in the village as the melody passed his lips. He imagined A-Yuan shifting between them as he often did, soft and sweet and testament to the love they all shared as they slept better in their little nest of three than they did at any other time.

He kept faith he would know such sleep again. That only a few short days lay between him and his family resting peacefully in the village once more, even if they might yet prove to be the most difficult of their lives.

Chapter 32: Freedom

Notes:

I can't believe we have reached the end of the story (with a small epilogue to come in a day or two). I hope you have all enjoyed the journey with me. Let's give them that happily ever after.

Chapter Text

'Lan Zhan, I need you to fasten my hair for me,' said Wei Wuxian, tugging at the collar of his new black robes in an effort to get it looser, Wen Popo clearly having decided he should look far more put together than he preferred to be, 'Whatever I do, it just won't stay...put...oh!'

He stopped still, mouth working in an attempt to find words but none were adequate, not when Lan Wangji stood beside their bed, bathed in the early morning light from the open windows, dressed in black and crimson robes that complemented his perfectly. Lan Wangji looked up, cheeks pinking a little at his scrutiny even as he smiled.

'I thought I had grown used to darker colours but black is another matter.'

'Black is...black...' said Wei Wuxian, laughing at his own halting words, 'Can I marry you in that?'

'I do not know that we will have time today but we can make the suggestion,' said Lan Wangji, smoothing the collar with a small smile, 'I was worried it would not suit me.'

Wei Wuxian snorted, 'There was most definitely no need for you to worry. Tell me though, is it considered rude to wear a sect leader's colours and look better in them than he ever could?'

'Well Jin Zixuan has looked better than his father for many years, perhaps you should ask him if he considers it rude when you meet with him, sect leader to sect leader.'

Wei Wuxian laughed. 'I should be upset that you didn't turn that into the compliment I was searching for but that was better.'

Lan Wangji stepped forward, taking hold of his hands and bring them to rest upon his chest. 'You have been anxious all morning,' he said, the levity of before dimmed a little, 'I wanted to try to make you laugh.'

Wei Wuxian pushed his hands gently upwards until he could clasp them behind his lover's neck, pulling him into a brief but heartfelt kiss. 'Thank you,' he said, 'I'm glad to know I will have you beside me all day.'

'In whatever capacity you need me,' said Lan Wangji, hands holding gently at his waist before he frowned, running his hands over the material covering Wei Wuxian, 'This cut is strange. It feels...'

'Solid?' said Wei Wuxian, 'Pull the ties at the side.'

Lan Wangji did so almost absently, the outer robe falling open the reveal something leather and structured beneath.

'A gift from Jiang Cheng,' said Wei Wuxian, 'We used to use them in training. It's rigid leather with metal plates. It will offer some protection just in case...'

Lan Wangji's hands tightened at his waist, cutting off his words, 'Whilst I am grateful to Jiang Cheng for his forethought, I wish there was no need of it. There are places where you could still be hurt.'

'Nothing essential though,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Unless they aim for my head.'

Lan Wangji's eyes flashed with fire, 'They will not get a chance to land the blow.'

'Not with Hanguang-Jun at my side,' said Wei Wuxian, with a sigh, 'It's a precaution, nothing more. One that I hope won't be needed but I'd be a fool to turn it down when offered. I want to be able to leave this place with you beside me, return to our son and then marry you so we can begin our lives properly at last. I just hope that we get the support we need.'

'You are already assured of three of the major sects and the heir of the fourth is on your side,' said Lan Wangji, 'Though many will flatter and bow to Jin Guangshan for his wealth, they know that is not the only benefit they can receive. Those sects currently supporting him will waver, I know it. You will be free. Our family will be free. We just need to get through today.'

Wei Wuxian leaned forward, resting their foreheads together, 'So long as I have your arms to hold me afterwards, I can get through anything.'

'You are strong enough without me but I am glad to be here with you. We promised long ago to stand with justice and those most in need, today we will fulfil that promise,' said Lan Wangji, 'We should finish getting ready, we do not have long until we are expected and you wanted me to fix your hair.'

Wei Wuxian laughed, 'I'm the cleanest I've been in months. It's easier to control with a layer of grime on it.'

'Mn. I never thought such basic things would seem alien but being here...'

'Nice for a visit,' said Wei Wuxian, stepping back, 'And though I hope we will have a chance to be a little more civilised in the coming months, I find a prefer a simpler life. Makes the truly important things clearer.'

Lan Wangji's fingers caught several loose strands of his hair, feathering them between his fingers. 'I would trade all the comforts of the world for you, A-Yuan and a handful of chickens. Come sit by the bed.'

Wei Wuxian forced a smile but he knew his lover saw the worry on his face as he placed a reassuring kiss to his lips.

'A few more steps, my love,' said Lan Wangji, 'A few more steps.'

Wei Wuxian knew he would happily take the rain and the depravation again if it meant he could turn back the clock, knowing his whole world rested on his conduct and the choices of those he would stand before and plead his case. Even Lan Wangji's sure and steady hands offered little comfort as they worked through his hair, fastening it neatly and weaving in his red ribbon when he was done. He wanted to find more reasons to linger in their room, in the sanctuary it offered, but he knew they could not further delay and he had to imagine the strength of Lan Wangji's hand in his as necessity left him bereft of the real thing.

They had made the trip to Swords Hall every morning since they had arrived in Lotus Pier, more representatives of the other sects arriving each day save for LanlingJin. It was gamesmanship, they knew, Jin Guangshan making them all wait for his presence, making them worry that he would be elsewhere until they finally received word that they would arrive. Wei Wuxian's own nerves at the news had been mirrored not just in Lan Wangji's face but in Jin Zixuan's as well, so much of his future to be decided alongside Wei Wuxian's. If they were unsuccessful, his best hope was being sent to an obscure part of the land they held, imprisoned even if it would be told differently. Wei Wuxian knew, particularly in Lanling, that those imprisoned would disappear all too easily. He was only glad that Jiang Yanli and Jin Ling were in the Burial Mounds, as safe as they could be for as long as Wei Wuxian could keep them there.

Suibian felt strange in his hand in place of Chenqing, the presence of the sword he had been forced to give up still only for show rather than any help if it came to a fight. Though the Han teachings spoke of their cultivators still being able to wield their swords, they had given no practical tips and Wei Wuxian was unsure if he would find his own way back to it. Still, it would prove a point to the sect leaders. A courtesy, he could claim, in respect of the true ways of cultivation. Memory alone allowed him to carry it as surely as Lan Wangji carried Bichen, at least the latter able to be of actual use if it did come to a fight.

'Remember not to allow your temper to reign and do not get drawn into any arguments you cannot win,' said Lan Wangji as they walked down the sunlit corridors, 'You are there to present your case, not argue it. You need to either present your case so entirely they side with you or allow Jin Guangshan to incriminate himself. Do you remember what you need to say?'

Wei Wuxian nodded, nerves chasing away any prospect of teasing Lan Wangji for having him parrot the statements once more, 'The Yin Hu Fu has been destroyed. Wen Ning is contained willingly by spells and may only be used in the most dire of circumstances when the lives of the innocent are at risk. He will not go further abroad from YilingWei village unless with very specific need. He will not be used against any sect unless in defence of an attack mounted by them. Those bearing the name Wen in YilingWei village as from the DafanWen, not the QishanWen line and only a select few will follow or be taught a cultivation path. That cultivation path will be traditional and based upon the teachings of GusuLan. No one will be taught or allowed to follow the Ghost Path or practice demonic cultivation...not that any of them know exactly what...'

'Wei Ying,' warned Lan Wangji, 'You were doing so well.'

Wei Wuxian sighed, 'No one will be taught or allowed to follow the Ghost Path or practice demonic cultivation. My own cultivation will be based solely on the teachings of the honourable Han family.'

'How can you remember all that but failed to memorise your lessons when we were in the Cloud Recesses?'

'Might have had something to do with part of my punishment being the presence of a certain handsome young cultivator to watch over me,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Though in my foolishness I did not realise that I was already in love with you when I was trying to tempt a look from you.'

'And in my foolishness I did not realise how much I wanted to look,' said Lan Wangji, as they reached the door to Swords Hall, 'Are you ready?'

'No but let's do this all the same,' said Wei Wuxian, wanting nothing more than to reach for his hand but knowing he could not, 'Just a few more steps. Then we can go home. Lan Zhan?'

He turned as Lan Wangji took several steps back.

'Lan Zhan? What are you doing? Aren't you coming in with me? I need you there.'

'I will be there but I should not walk in beside you.'

'Why not?' said Wei Wuxian.

'Wei-Zongzhu should take the lead,' said Lan Wangji, 'You said you wanted to do this properly.'

Wei Wuxian wanted to protest, to take hold of Lan Wangji's hand and have him walk beside him into the room that awaited them but he knew he was right, that if Wei Wuxian wished to be seen as a sect leader, he should behave as one.

'I will be right behind you, my love,' said Lan Wangji, 'One more step.'

He tightened his grip around Suibian, taking from it a little of the old strength it gave him even if it was little more than decorative in the moment. He pressed his free hand to his chest, the remaining shards of what had been the Yin Hu Fu tucked beneath the folds in a qiankun pouch. Evidence of his fulfilment of one of the many requests made of him.

He pushed aside the last of his hesitation, calling to mind the faces of his family in the Burial Mounds, in YilingWei village as more and more of the world seemed to be coming to call it. He thought of A-Yuan, his son. The child who had chosen him and who he hoped one day would prove to the world that those of his name were worthy, good and kind.

'Wei Ying,' said Lan Wangji softly, his face serene but the words that left him carried a sharpness as he next spoke, 'Bring him down.'

'With pleasure,' said Wei Wuxian, knowing the words after he had shared his fulfilment of the demands made of him would be those to damn Jin Guangshan, their prisoner and his confession hidden even from the sect leaders who had already arrived to be deployed at the opportune moment.

He made his way up the few short steps to the door, the two Jiang disciples guarding it ones he recognised as having taught himself when they had been young men, before war and the aftermath had broken him from his former sect.

'Da-Shixiong,' said one softly, his smile fond despite the fact that Wei Wuxian had long since stopped holding such an honoured place amongst them.

He hoped his smile was thanks enough for the small show of support, unsure if he could force any words passed his lips that weren't the planned ones he would rely on as his heart seemed to have taken up residence in his throat. He listened for Lan Wangji's footsteps behind him as the doors opened to reveal the hall beyond and the sects seated at the tables there.

It had been decided that Wei Wuxian should be the last to arrive, to give the recognised sects time to pass through all the pleasantries and to allow those who supported him the chance to get a better read on those who could still stand against him. In the days they had been waiting for Jin Guangshan's arrival, he had been amongst those who had already gathered and most had seemed inclined to see the man rather than the monster Jin Guangshan had painted him as. As he stepped into Swords Hall though, even the eyes of his allies felt heavy.

He did not allow it to press him down though, keeping his back straight and his chin high, every inch a son of the gentry and as worthy of a place amongst them as any other as he walked further into the room. The notable silence at his entrance changed quickly to quiet mutterings, eyes skirting him in favour of landing behind where Lan Wangji followed, a statement very much made in his choice of clothing even with nothing being said.

Wei Wuxian ignored them, instead fixing his eyes straight ahead to where Jin Guangshan, in deference to the title he held alone, sat in the place of honour. He watched the emotions play over the older man's face, could see the strain the months had put upon him and he resisted the smile at the thought of how many sleepless nights Jin Guangshan would have spent when he began to realise that he was losing control of the situation he had caused. The disquiet and hatred that radiated from him was almost a physical presence in the room, Wei Wuxian certain he had been expecting him to enter in his tattered robes, beaten down and upon his knees in the hope of aid, rather than dressed in freshly made robes of his own fledgeling sect.

He came to a pause, allowing the room to settle to silence around him. He made sure Suibian rattled a little in its sheath as he raised it, drawing attention to the long absent sword before he bowed with all the depth and neatness expected of him.

'Jin-Xiandu,' he said, his tone measured, polite, the defiance he wanted to place in it kept firmly behind his teeth.

'Yiling Laozu.'

The title felt like a wave over the room, dripping with all the hate so many had poured into name he had never asked for. The name that made him something of nightmares rather than a man wanting to protect a handful of innocent souls from a world that hated them.

'It seems the Burial Mounds are prospering despite claims you had little to live on,' said Jin Guangshan, 'I believe you were instructed not to leave and yet, you have found ways to purchase such an interesting attire.'

Wei Wuxian smiled, 'Those of us instructed to remain within the confines of our home did so,' he said, 'I must therefore offer my thanks to Zewu-Jun who has been a generous protector and provided with us with the means to come before you all suitably attired.'

'A generous benefactor indeed,' said Jin Guangshan, his eyes moving pointedly to where Lan Wangji stood quietly behind him, 'What else as he given you?'

'Nothing he was not free to under the agreements we made,' said Wei Wuxian, as several whispers ran through those gathered, 'And I am sure Chifeng-Zun, Jiang-Zongzhu and Jin-Gongzi would be happy to assure you that the Burial Mounds holds no additional riches save for the generosities afforded to us by our neighbours in Yiling.'

Jin Guangshan's smile was sharp. 'I have heard reports that individuals from the Burial Mounds have undertaken cultivator work.'

Wei Wuxian nodded, 'Hanguang-Jun and Luo-Guniang have assisted where they have been needed and both kindly have donated any compensation they received to those most in need. Neither of them are under the restrictions placed upon us.'

Jin Guangshan snapped his sleeve as he sat back in his chair, 'Lan Wangji was sent to guard and observe. It appears he has been focused on other tasks though.'

'There is much work in the Burial Mounds in order for us to survive. Hanguang-Jun has become adept at farming, as we all have, but it does not mean he has not done the work he was sent to do. I believe he has sent his reports to Zewu-Jun and that these have been shared with all those gathered who wished to read them,' said Wei Wuxian, murmurs of agreement passing through the room, 'Guarding however turned into defending, frequently. Without Hanguang-Jun's presence, outside forces would have annihilated us months ago.'

'There are many decent men in the world who find the cultivation you indulge in abhorrent,' said Jin Guangshan, 'We must all be grateful to Hanguang-Jun that he fulfilled his duties so wholeheartedly. Such dedication. I'm sure those of GusuLan must be very proud of him.'

Wei Wuxian smiled. 'I sincerely hope they are. He is a fine example of how a person should conduct themselves,' he said, sparing a look at the man behind him, his face unreadable to the majority of the room but Wei Wuxian could see the fire in his eyes, the desire to bring down the man who made all his sacrifices and efforts sound sordid even with honeyed words. 'Let us not speak of others though, I believe it is me who you gave the majority of tasks to and I am here to inform you that they are completed.'

'You expect me and those gathered here to simply believe all has been completed?' said Jin Guangshan, 'You were never so forthcoming before. You conducted much in secret. Your word has little value in this room.'

Wei Wuxian tucked his hands behind his back, gripping Suibian tight as he allowed the words to hit but roll off him just as quickly.

'We have of course brought evidence but I trust you will honour the words of my witnesses for those facts for which I can give no physical evidence.'

'Are they too wearing your colours?'

Wei Wuxian smiled, 'Sadly we did not run further than the budget for two sets of robes,' he said, 'But we are not here to discuss fashion, Jin-Xiandu, and I am sure you are anxious to know that we have done all you instructed us to do. First, you requested none left the Burial Mounds. We endeavoured that it was so and indeed succeeded save for one moment which we admitted as soon as we could. I am sure you recall the misunderstanding with the Yiling traders who, when tasked with bringing a delivery on behalf of GusuLan, brought only enough food for one person forgetting perhaps that their were many more hungry mouths confined to the mountain. When we feared for the health of so many, Hanguang-Jun sought to rectify the situation and left to retrieve food for us. The weather was difficult and the journey hard and so, in his very good judgement, he took Wen Qionglin with him to assist him. Whilst Wen Qionglin's absence from the mountain might not have been permitted, I'm sure all can look upon such an emergency with mercy. It was not repeated again once the misunderstanding was cleared up.'

Jin Guangshan's eyes narrowed but he said nothing and so Wei Wuxian pressed on, beginning to walk slowly around the room, gathering strength from the looks from his allies whilst offering his own challenge to those who had not declared either way.

'We have not left the Burial Mounds, as instructed,' said Wei Wuxian, 'We have harboured no cultivators of the Wen name other than those already known about who are beyond posing a threat to the cultivation world. Those bearing the Wen name are solely of the DafanWen line who hold no sympathies with Wen Ruohan. We have been quiet and contained and sought to wait for the judgement of those gathered here. Whilst doing so, I have completed the tasks you asked of me. Firstly, though he bore no threat to anyone had he not been so abused first by those who should have guarded him before we left for the Burial Mounds which led us to desperate means to save him and then used again by Su She under the command of Jin Guangyao, Wen Qionglin has been contained. His powers are restricted by spells that mean he can only be controlled by those who know the specific music. He retains his own mind and consciousness and so chooses to remain peacefully away from the world in the Burial Mounds. I know there are some who would prefer he be dead but, given he is innocent of all crimes he was forced to be a part of, can anyone justify the murder of an innocent man? I believe those gathered are all better men than that. As for the spells containing him, I am sure Lan-Xiansheng can give an accurate and full account of what has been used and the fact that it has been acted on as promised. My thanks, Lan-Xiansheng, for your expert help and patience in this delicate matter.'

Lan Qiren raised a hand in recognition as Wei Wuxian bowed to him, a similar look in his eyes as his nephew wore, a look that wished for justice to be served in such a way that those who would use the world for gain rather than good would know the sting of their own actions.

'I have no doubt the report will be thorough,' said Jin Guangshan, 'But you have deceived others before, Wei Wuxian, I still do not believe that Wen Ning's...'

Wei Wuxian's laughter was bright, cutting Jin Guangshan off, before he made a show of composing himself.

'I'm sorry, Jin-Xiandu, forgive me but the thought of someone like me being able to fool a man such as Lan-Xiansheng made me laugh,' he said, 'You flatter me. I can assure you, Lan-Xiansheng held me under the most attentive scrutiny. He had the misfortune of presiding over my education and knows me all too well. I can assure you, assure all of you, that a simple man such as I could never and would never seek to fool such an experienced and revered cultivator.'

He knew the words were a little over the top but it challenged any to deny them, knowing even Jin Guangshan would not have the guile to call Lan Qiren's wisdom and experience into disrepute.

'I am sure we can trust any account given,' said Yao-Zongzhu, 'I believe Chifeng-Zun has also been in the Burial Mounds recently and witnessed the changes there.'

Nie Mingjue nodded, 'I am aware of the steps taken with Wen Ning and do not doubt their veracity.'

'There,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I am sure Jin-Xiandu can be satisfied that we have fulfilled our part in the agreement there. The more pressing subject I am sure everyone wishes to know about is the Yin Hu Fu. Whilst its use brought a swifter end to our battle with Wen Ruohan, my possession of it, despite the fact that I have not used it against anyone since, has disquieted you all. I know many have argued that their own sect would be better placed to contain it but I fear, whoever holds it, will one day be seen as an enemy to all.'

'A sect that is held in high esteem can be trusted to hold such an artefact without it proving a risk,' said Jin Guangshan.

'You all once held Wen Ruohan in high esteem,' said Wei Wuxian, 'QishanWen was an ally for many years. I am no teacher so I would not repeat the lesson but I know all are aware that QishanWen were as much a part of the force that brought down the tyranny of Xue Chonghai. An ally and yet more recent events paint them otherwise. Wen Mao was your ally, Wen Ruohan your enemy. Whoever I passed the Yin Hu Fu to, in time, could be your enemy as well. A sect of high esteem or not, I will not be passing the Yin Hu Fu to anyone, even those I trust.'

Jin Guangshan's eyes narrowed cruelly, a small smile turning the corner of his lips, 'Then you have not fulfilled the terms laid out for you.'

'I did not say that,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I will not be passing the Yin Hu Fu on to another sect because I do not see one that could take it and keep it without risking everything.'

'Any of the sects gathered here would be more than capable of holding it safely,' said Jin Guangshan, 'All have the ability.'

'And you would say all are honourable?' said Wei Wuxian.

'You would dare to doubt it?' snapped Jin Guangshan.

'Forgive me,' said Wei Wuxian, his tone asking nothing of the kind, 'I just wanted to make sure all here are considered honourable sects.'

He moved to the tables towards the rear, catching Lan Wangji's gaze as he passed him and seeing the amusement hidden in the warm depths of his eyes as he allowed Wei Wuxian to play the room as he saw fit. He stopped in front of some of the lesser sects, running a questioning eye over them and hiding his smile as he saw several of them flinch.

'Honourable, I suppose,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Though small. A risk of being over run if I passed it on here. I would not want to put anyone at risk.'

He bowed to the representatives before him, knowing they might yet prove the allies he needed before he moved on to those sat further up. The faces of Yao-Zongzhu and Ouyang-Zongzhu were ones that Wei Wuxian had grown familiar with amongst the group after the final battle with Wen Ruohan. The most vocal and always placing themselves wherever they could gain favour. Whilst neither appeared particularly ambitious to be bigger or more responsible than they already were, they enjoyed recognition and praise, all too frequently flattering those they felt their strongest allies in the moment. He knew they could be a danger should they side against him in the moments yet before them, more so than any others who equalled their size.

'A notable sect, yet one that perhaps is not as large as some, might be a suitable place to contain it but marriages happen and I would hate for such advances being denied to a sect for fear the Yin Hu Fu might become a feared possession, or worse. for marriages to be made so it could be ill-used.'

He watched arguments rise and die on the sect leaders' lips, neither of them particularly loquacious and more prone to nodding and parroting the words of their betters than arguing for themselves. He smiled and bowed to them all the same, knowing there was little more he could say, without revealing his hand, that would bring them on side with him.

'Which leaves only the larger sects. Chifeng-Zun, should I entrust the Yin Hu Fu to you?'

Nie Mingjue shook his head, 'Though I would endeavour to keep it safe, such an artefact is not something I desire to possess.'

'Then it will not be forced upon you,' said Wei Wuxian, the truth well-known to the man before him that there was no chance of it being so.

He turned to Jiang Cheng, seeing the fond exasperation on his face as Wei Wuxian commanded the room around him, the spectacle one he had tried to tone down when they had planned it but he had given in when it had proved the best idea to force Jin Guangshan to show his hand.

'YunmengJiang is a fine, honourable, strong sect,' said Wei Wuxian, no play in his voice as he spoke, 'I owe them so very much. I am honoured to have been raised and taught amongst them and to those teachings I will always hold, even if I come no longer under the name. In my mind there would be none more fearless and forthright to guard the Yin Hu Fu but I know, however far I may be from the place I once called home, many would say I would be in control of it still and I would not have such a good name tarnished for me. Similarly, I am sure much would be said should I place the Yin Hu Fu in the capable hands of Zewu-Jun.'

He turned towards them, meeting first Lan Xichen and then Lan Qiren's gaze, bowing neatly before he smiled.

'The help, support and counsel I have received from those of GusuLan has made a difficult time far easier than it could have been. I know what a very great risk it was to offer me any support when so much and so many stood against me but they have stood firm, not least in the presence of Hanguang-Jun who has been such a loyal and invaluable friend to all of us in YilingWei. We knew little of kindness for a very long while, those I care for more so than I. GusuLan have treated all with kindness, reminded those who had been reduced to nothing that they are worthy of friends, of help and support. They have upheld the very core of their principles even when met with such difficult choices that hang over a case such as ours. I will forever be grateful to them all and would therefore not ask them to be in a position where their support could be turned into something sinister in an alleged pursuit of the Yin Hu Fu.'

'It appears your connection with GusuLan goes deeper than that,' said Jin Guangshan, stroking a finger over the slim point of his beard, 'You have addressed all those sects gathered but one.'

Wei Wuxian inclined his head, 'I do not think I am qualified to address the honour of LanlingJin,' he said, 'After all, that more than speaks for itself.'

Jin Guangshan smiled, 'Then you will have no issue with us keeping it safe so it cannot be misused.'

'It would seem the remaining choice,' said Wei Wuxian, reaching beneath his collar and retrieving the qiankun pouch, 'Save for one.'

He opened it, upending it so the shards that remained clattered noisily to the floor. He smiled as Jin Guangshan sputtered, his face quickly turning puce as he fought to recover himself under Wei Wuxian's gaze. He had played into his hands, allowed Wei Wuxian to control the room in the hope he would somehow incriminate himself, but instead he had allowed himself to the the focus, given Wei Wuxian the chance to pose the question of his honour.

'The Yin Hu Fu is too dangerous to be held by anyone, whether they intend to use it for good or for ill,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Were it not for this, the Wens I took to the Burial Mounds would have been long forgotten by now. It is not for fear of them or even of Wen Ning that has led to the pursuit and the persecution of innocents but instead the desire to possess this weapon so that none would dare challenge the sect that held it. Even if I couldn't have destroyed it, I would have taken it to the bottom of the sea with me rather than ever see it in your hands Jin-Xiandu, not when those hands are bathed with the blood of innocents.'

Jin Guangshan got to his feet, finger shaking as he pointed at Wei Wuxian in his anger, 'You have allowed a mad man to speak,' he said, 'Wei Wuxian! You would dare insult me.'

'It is not an insult but a statement of fact,' said Wei Wuxian, finally allowing his fury to the fore, 'Even before I took what remained of the Wens from your prison camp, you were shooting them down for sport, making them living targets, treating them worse than any beast. Innocent people, old people, a child! Not one of them shown the slightest mercy. When they came with me, they were content to live a quiet life but you pursued them still, pursued the Yin Hu Fu. What a prize, destroy the last of the Wens and have the power to remain higher than all forever.'

'How dare you!' cried Jin Guangshan.

'How dare you!' countered Wei Wuxian, 'It is your nephew, your bastard son, and your puppet Su She who tried to make a murderer of me on Qiongqi Path. Sent to ambush me. Even if Meng Yao had his own designs, no doubt he was acting as you had poisoned him to. Prove that the Yiling Laozu is a murderer, that the Gui Jiangjun is a dangerous weapon to be turned on the cultivation world, and Jin-Xiandu can only do what is right by taking the Yin Hu Fu and destroying the Wens. I remember all too well your face when GusuLan offered protection, when we were allowed the benefit of the doubt rather than vilified. It was on your orders that we were only sent food fit for one man. It was on your orders that Lan-Xiansheng was almost assassinated when he was mistaken for Hanguang-Jun.'

'Lies!' cried Jin Guangshan, 'What reason would I have to assassinate anyone in that wretched nest of yours?'

'Because if Hanguang-Jun was killed in our village you would ensure the blame was placed with me.'

'You are guilty of enough without my input,' said Jin Guangshan, 'Where is your proof of this accusation? Where is the assassin?'

'Dead,' said Wei Wuxian, 'But you knew that. He poisoned himself.'

'So you stand and accuse me of this attempted assassination without proof?'

'Wei Wuxian, you need proof,' clamoured Yao-Zongzhu from his table, 'You cannot accuse people of such acts without proof.'

'And would you like proof, Yao-Zongzhu?' said Wei Wuxian, 'Proof that the man who is meant to be a beacon of cultivation is nothing more than a murderer and a liar.'

'I would encourage you to present any proof that you have and quickly,' said Jin Guangshan, 'Unless you expect them to believe your word over mine.'

'Perhaps not mine,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Not after you have done all you can to invalidate it. Instead I have someone I am sure all the sect leaders will be very keen to listen to. The assassination attempted was not the only attack on the village. The first was opportunist, no doubt more intended to see how our defences held up. The second was more thought out and far crueller in its execution. You, Jin Guangshan, you arranged for a bunch of paid thugs to attack our supply cart, steal in beneath the coverings and to attack innocent people as they went about their day. They murdered without consideration of the lives they took. Left widows and widowers. They left a wife without her husband with a child on the way, a child that will now never know a father. If that was not enough, when we captured one of them alive, he tried to claim we had staged the entire thing ourselves.'

The fear flashed in Jin Guangshan's eyes. Fear and a boiling hate, the sharpness they had held when he had felt the most powerful in the room growing hazy as he tried to predict what Wei Wuxian had in store for him.

'We took one of our attackers alive and he tried to tell us that I had arranged for it, tried to place the blame for the murder of the people I cared for at my door. What no one banked on was our friends in Yiling, people who knew us before we were forcibly confined, people who had come to our aid over the months of deprivation, people who know the truth of what we are. They went for help. They hurried to the inn where witnesses of the finest calibre were waiting. Witnesses who came and saw the devastation and then helped us to get the truth from our prisoner. Our prisoner who willingly signed a confession that the orders came from Jin-Xiandu directly.'

'Lies!'

'Not lies,' said Jin Zixuan, leaving his seat and moving to Wei Wuxian's side, 'Because the confession was made to me without coercion or harm coming to him. He confessed before me, Wei-Zongzhu, Hanguang-Jun and Jiang-Zongzhu. His confession was later examined by Zewu-Jun. You sent him and the others to murder innocent souls in the Burial Mounds, people who had done nothing but follow the rules you placed upon them. Their blood is on your hands.'

'He has bewitched you,' said Jin Guangshan, his face growing red as he trembled, 'What foul tricks have you used to ensnare the mind of my son? You have his wife and child...'

'Jin-Xiandu,' said Lan Wangji, leaving his silent place behind Wei Wuxian to stand on the other side of him, 'I would caution you not to cast further baseless accusations. Jin-Furen and Jin Ling are in the Burial Mounds through choice, in a place they can be protected from you.'

'Zewu-Jun,' growled Jin Guangshan, 'Your brother...'

'Has cautioned you to mind your words,' said Lan Xichen, 'And I would advise you to heed him.'

'This is a conspiracy!'

'No this is justice,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Justice for all who have been murdered at your command either for their name or for their proximity to me. Jiang Cheng, bring him in, let all those here be told just who sent murderers into my village.'

Jiang Cheng rose to his feet and nodded to the two Jiang disciples guarding the far door, the pair of them heading through it to where their prisoner was being kept just beyond.

Wei Wuxian did not allow himself to feel any sense of victory, not when so much more could still derail them but he felt buoyed at least by all those who had drawn around him both physically and in their clear support. Whispers and fearful words echoed around the room, the lesser sects quickly trying to decide their alliances as Jin Guangshan began to lose his grip on the world. He spared a glance to Jin Zixuan, his face pale but determined, and Wei Wuxian wanted to reach out to him and reassure him that he knew the task he was undertaking was hard but that the world would be grateful to him for standing against his father. He knew they had to appear as strong as possible though, offering instead a simple nod as Jin Zixuan caught his eye.

Jin Guangshan's words rang out in the room around them, accusing Wei Wuxian of bewitching them all, Lan Wangji's name soon joining his in the list of crimes. None of them reacted to it, even Lan Xichen and Lan Qiren remaining silent as the good name of their sect was so cruelly besmirched.

It felt like an age before the door opened again, the Jiang disciples returning with the prisoner flanked between them, unbound but well guarded. Wei Wuxian could only hope that their promise of mercy and safety would keep the story as it had been told on paper, that the words of the man who had been sent to murder them all would be the ones to usher them to freedom.

The room fell silent, even Jin Guangshan ceasing his rant as the prisoner was brought to the centre of the room.

Wei Wuxian had watched Jin Guangshan. Had watched the Jin disciples that flanked him even when they had taken several steps away from him the moment Jin Zixuan appeared to side with Wei Wuxian. He had kept his eyes fixed on every movement, listened to every word in the hope he would be well prepared for any assault. He cursed that he had only thought to watch those in Jin robes so intently as Jin Guangshan's eyes flashed at someone behind them all, the piercing hiss of a sword leaving its sheath the only warning they had.

The Jiang disciples, Jin Zixuan and even Lan Wangji moved to guard the prisoner as the masked assailant, in robes of a sect so small Wei Wuxian could not in that moment pull the name to mind, headed towards him with his sword drawn. In the last moment he changed his course, Wei Wuxian drawing Suibian on instinct and blocking the blow that headed for him. Though he deflected the hit, he did not have the strength he truly needed, his assailant's sword sweeping down the steel and nicking the exposed skin of Wei Wuxian's wrist, blood welling at the pulse point but not enough to slow him. His reflexes were sharper than his sword play, wheeling away from another strike though it too landed, steel cutting through his new robes and scraping against the leather and metal beneath that protected him.

Any further attack was stopped by the clean swish of Bichen, the bright, white blade cutting through air before it met material, skin, muscle and bone. The scream of the attacker rang out over the metallic clang of his sword hitting the floor, quickly followed by the wet slap of his severed arm. Wei Wuxian stepped back, leaving Lan Wangji and Jin Zixuan room to pin the attacker down as the Jiang disciples along with several more protected their witness to the attack in the Burial Mounds.

The noise in the room, clamorous shouts, panic and accusations all fell quiet as Lan Wangji pulled off the material covering the attacker's face, breath stuttering as an all too familiar appearance smiled maniacally back at them despite his missing arm.

'Xue Yang,' hissed Lan Wangji.

'A known associate of Wei Wuxian,' said Jin Guangshan, 'Surely...'

'Stop,' shouted Jin Zixuan, the final mutterings around them quieting entirely, 'Just stop. This is not Wei Wuxian's doing, this is yours. I heard rumours he was in Lanling but could never find proof. You brought him here.'

'He told me I could be hailed a hero if I destroyed the Yiling Laozu,' said Xue Yang, not even trying to struggle as Lan Wangji held him down with a boot on his chest, 'I didn't care for glory but what a name to add to the list of those I've killed. You're all so pathetic. Bickering like old women.'

Wei Wuxian was certain, had they not had their witness to back Jin Guangshan into a corner, he would still have met Xue Yang's blade. An assassin in the night instead called forth when Jin Guangshan had nothing left to lose.

'He's lying,' said Jin Guangshan.

'The only liar in this room is you,' said Jin Zixuan, 'Your excesses, your obsession with the Yin Hu Fu, your willingness to do anything to further your power. I have watched it all for so long, watched it and known deep in my heart that it was wrong. You think I'm a fool, think I have been played as your puppet but I have watched, listened and learned too much. Even without your crimes against those in the Burial Mounds, you are not fit to hold any position. You have disgraced our sect and our name and I am ashamed of you. You should step aside now, father, step aside and admit your crimes so that perhaps this ends with a little dignity.'

It was the resounding sound of boots moving away from him that stayed Jin Guangshan's words, looking over his shoulder to see those of his own sect who had stood guard beside him suddenly stepping away, placing distance between themselves and their disgraced leader.

Wei Wuxian looked between him and Xue Yang who lay half babbling with pain on the floor as Lan Wangji refused to relinquish the pressure that held him down.

'Yin Iron,' he said, 'Lan Zhan. Xue Yang had Yin Iron.'

He saw his lover's lips move as he turned his attention to him but the sound was muffled, his beloved face moving in and out of focus. The cut on his wrist smarted, the cut made with Xue Yang's blade. Jin Guangshan would have known Wei Wuxian would be protected, that any attempt on his life would have one chance. Even a keen swordsman could miss but even a non lethal hit could become lethal with poison.

'Lan Zhan,' he said, certain his words were slurred, 'I've...poison.'

The room was loud, too loud. He could only just make out who the voices belonged to but he knew Jin Guangshan was shouting before several of his own disciples took hold of him. What was left of his focus though remained on Lan Wangji as someone hauled Xue Yang from beneath his boot before he ran towards him. Wei Wuxian was glad for his speed and for his strong arms as the ground seemed in a hurry to meet him, finding himself hauled against the solid warmth of his lover's chest before the dizzying room fell black.

****

'Shufu and I will go with Jin-Gongzi back to Lanling, it's a dangerous time for him and he will need support. Jiang-Zongzhu is sending some of his own disciples as well but he intends to return to the Burial Mounds with you and then escort his sister to Lanling when it is safe for him to do so.'

Wei Wuxian's head felt stuffed with cotton, even the low voices sounding too loud as he tried to work out who they belonged to as they continued to speak.

'I hope the transition is easy for him. This has not been an easy day for any of us but it has been very hard on him.'

'We all knew this would be difficult but the sect leaders are all in agreement and things will settle in time. Xue Yang and Jin Guangshan will both answer for their actions today and previously. There will be justice for the Burial Mounds.'

'I just hope everyone will keep their word.'

'They will. They're free now, free to do as suits them. Will you...'

'My home is there now, Xiongzhang, with them. With Wei Ying. I must follow where my heart takes me and, as different a life as it is from the Cloud Recesses, my home is on that mountain.'

'At least visit now and then. Come back for a while before the wedding, there are some things that belonged to A-Niang that should go with you.'

'When the village is settled, I will come for a while. I have promised A-Yuan that he may visit and Shufu will be displeased if I do not bring his favourite.'

'Indeed. I should go. There are still several things to arrange before we depart. Apologise to Wei-Zongzhu if he does not wake soon, that I did not wait to say goodbye but it would be better if we keep ahead of the gossip channels.'

'Chifeng-Zun should tell his brother to spin some other tales to entertain the masses to give you some time.'

'I'm sure he will. Wangji...'

'I know.'

Wei Wuxian forced his eyes open, blinking in the low light, a small smile forming on his dry lips as he watched the infamously cool Twin Jades of Lan part from a hug he knew all too well from his youth. Though he and Jiang Cheng shared no blood, they had been bound as brothers and loved one another as dearly, even if current circumstance promised a while before they were fully able to express it again. He had been hugged just as tightly and fiercely, words unspoken but loud all the same. Lan Xichen and Lan Wangji might appear one way before the world but he knew the love they shared ran deep and he silently promised to ensure Lan Wangji was no stranger to his former home in the years to come as he closed his eyes to give them their privacy once more.

The following words were too softly spoken for him to hear, quickly followed by the slide of a door before soft feet made their way back to the bed.

'Are you awake? Your breathing has changed.'

'Mmm,' he murmured, his voice rough, 'Didn't want to intrude. What is happening?'

He opened his eyes as Lan Wangji sat on the bed beside him, his face drawn and tired but their was a lightness to it as well.

'Sit up a little,' said Lan Wangji, helping him to rise and rearranging the pillow behind him to support his back, 'Drink first. It's been several hours since you collapsed.'

'Was I poisoned?' said Wei Wuxian taking the cup that was handed to him, the white bandage at his wrist reminding him of the cut from Xue Yang's blade.

'You were but it did not go deep. Your life was not in danger,' said Lan Wangji, 'The doctors here treated you and have said you will be fine by morning with a good night's rest.'

'What happened? Is everyone...'

'All are fine,' said Lan Wangji, 'Jin Guangshan has been confined in preparation for a journey back to Lanling. Jin Zixuan has declared his father unfit to lead the sect and has the support of the disciples who are here. Xiongzhang and Shufu will go back with him to Lanling to support him as I am sure there will still be some supporters of Jin Guangshan who will give trouble. He will not regain power though, support from the other sects has fled him. He will be punished for all he did to us. For what he tried to do to you. There is too much evidence against him.'

Wei Wuxian felt his breath leave him in a rush, 'And...us?'

'Free,' said Lan Wangji with a smile, 'Free and recognised as the YilingWei Sect. I was not present for all the discussions but the mountain and the land surrounding it has been named as belonging to the sect.'

Wei Wuxian wanted to feel elation, wanted to be happy that they would finally not need to live in fear but other thoughts warred for dominance in his head.

'Xue Yang had Yin Iron.'

'Jin Guangshan confessed to holding a piece of it and will relinquish it in Lanling. If it is unchanged then the sects will be able to destroy it. If it has been manipulated, your expertise may be needed. You understand it better than most. It will be dealt with. Are you alright?'

Wei Wuxian shook his head, 'I do not know how to feel.'

'Neither do I and I have had longer to process the news,' said Lan Wangji, 'And things remain complex. At least the people we love are no longer to be hunted or held accountable for the actions of Wen Ruohan. They're free. Our family is free.'

'Free,' said Wei Wuxian, the word settling inside him as he echoed Lan Wangji, 'Our family is free.'

'Tomorrow morning we will begin our journey back to them and share the news. Jiang-Zongzhu will travel with us with the view of escorting Jin-Furen and Jin Ling to Lanling when it is safe for them to make the journey. For now though, you should rest.'

Wei Wuxian wanted to argue but the wide yawn he could not hide made a lie of any words he could speak to assure the man before him he was not tired. 'I should be helping.'

'Most is done,' said Lan Wangji, 'The business of the Jin sect now lies with them and it is too late to begin the journey home. Better to rest now and face the world anew in the morning.'

'Stay with me,' said Wei Wuxian, taking hold of his hand, 'I think I will need you to remind me that this isn't just some fever dream.'

'Gladly,' said Lan Wangji, 'There is nothing left to part us now.'

'Promise?' said Wei Wuxian, moving over in the bed until Lan Wangji could take up the place beside him, knowing they would both need to rise to eat and change before they truly retired to sleep but enjoying the closeness all the same.

'I promise,' said Lan Wangji, 'And when we get home, we can begin plans to let the world know that I will always be beside you.'

'Home,' said Wei Wuxian, allowing himself a small smile, 'I really want to go home, Lan Zhan.'

'Tomorrow,' said Lan Wangji, pressing a kiss to his forehead, 'We'll go home tomorrow.'

****

The journey up the mountain had never felt so long, Wei Wuxian anxious to get to those who waited for him there to tell them that their lives were once more their own. As anxious as he was to share the news though, he also felt an odd sense of trepidation. Though the cultivation world had acknowledged YilingWei as a sect, it had never been something Wei Wuxian had sought when he had first led the Wens to the Burial Mounds. It had not been something he had even given thought to until those trying to protect him had started to refer to him as Wei-Zongzhu, the title barrelling into something he still felt unqualified to undertake.

A warm hand slipped into his, Jiang Cheng's groan and sudden increase in pace until he overtook them a little carrying with it a fondness despite his grumblings.

'You look worried,' said Lan Wangji, lacing their fingers together.

'What if they leave when we tell them they're free?' said Wei Wuxian, 'Find somewhere else to go. What if they stay and then I...I do not know that I can lead a sect.'

'You've been doing so for months already,' said Lan Wangji, 'Now you can do it in freedom.'

'What if I get it wrong?'

'You will not,' said Lan Wangji, 'But you will not be alone. You have me and the rest of our family. We might not all share a family name but that doesn't change what we are. We will all be with you.'

Wei Wuxian felt the first of the proximity alerts ripple as they passed through it, those on the mountain soon to be aware that someone was on their way to them. He looked behind, the Jiang disciples sent to accompany them before providing an escort to Lanling for Jiang Yanli and her son filing neatly behind them, carrying provisions both from Yunmeng and from Yiling. The purse Lan Qiren had pressed into Wei Wuxian's hand before he had left Lotus Pier was far heavier than necessary to ensure A-Yuan was comfortable, as the older man had gruffly justified it, and Wei Wuxian had made sure to use some of it to prepare for a celebration of the Wens' freedom, whatever they decided to do with it.

He kept hold of Lan Wangji's hand as they began the last ascent to the final barrier and the gate just beyond, knowing the former would remain in place for several long months until he was fully assured that they were truly out of harm's way.

As they broke through the scraggly trees, sparse branches now crowned with insipid leaves that could not be called a canopy but still boasted more life than they had before, they were met with a sight he had not predicted. Though all the villagers and their protectors had been instructed to remain within the caves to keep them from harm, Wen Qing and her brother it seemed were intent on defying him as they stood the other side of the protection barrier, Wen Qing waving a hand to lower it as they approached.

Jiang Cheng fell back, allowing Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian to take the lead as they finally reunited with those they had left behind.

'Well?' said Wen Qing, her tone sharp but her eyes dancing as she stood before him, 'What happened?'

Wei Wuxian smiled, 'A little shouting, someone tried to kill me, and I got one hell of a headache,' he said, 'But after all that, you're free. We're all free.'

His arms were soon filled with his two friends, the brother and sister gifted to him by fate just as it have given him his Jiang siblings so many years before. He knew months before, had Lan Wangji been as manhandled into the embrace as he was in that moment, he would have blushed and blustered but now he fell into it just as easily, the four of them forged strong in the family they had made for themselves.

'The others are waiting for you,' said Wen Ning before he turned his attention to Jiang Cheng behind, 'Jiang-Zongzhu, welcome as well.'

'I do not mind waiting here and allowing...'

'Nonsense,' said Wei Wuxian, leaving his friends to throw an arm around Jiang Cheng's neck as he had done when they were younger, 'You've been a great help despite your grumblings. You should all come inside. We have to celebrate.'

Jiang Cheng soon relented, following with his disciples as Wei Wuxian made his way beneath the gate, pressing fingers to the wood as he passed it and up towards the village.

He had expect it to look much the same as he had left it but the confinement they had all agreed on seemed not to have been heeded as he saw several new structures built to replace the houses they had lost. One though was new, a build he had only seen sketched upon the floor and still unfinished in its execution but standing before him all the same. It was the sight of A-Yuan standing with Wen-Popo before it though that caught his attention.

'Die-Die!' he cried as he saw them, 'A-Die!'

He was sure he would never get tired of catching up the young boy as he ran at him, holding him tightly and burying his face in his hair for a moment, knowing there had been many times he had thought never to hold him again.

Lan Wangji's arms encircled them both, the people around them falling to low murmurs to allow them a moment of peace with their son.

'We built you a house,' said A-Yuan, as he moved to look at them both, 'It's not finished yet though. There's a room for you and A-Die to share and there'll be a room for me but I told them that I sleep with you all the time.'

Wei Wuxian laughed, 'You can sleep wherever you please now, my little radish,' he said, 'But there was no need to go to all this trouble on my account. I was quite content in my little cave.'

'A sect leader should have an appropriate dwelling,' said Jiang Yanli, Jin Ling balanced easily on her hip, 'If that is what you have come here to be at last.'

Wei Wuxian was grateful for Lan Wangji's hand on his shoulder as he turned himself more fully to the crowd. 'That choice isn't mine,' he said, trying to keep the tremor from his voice as he addressed them all, 'When I brought you here, it was to keep you safe. You're safe now. You're free now. My protection is yours for as long as you need it but I...'

'Wei-Zongzhu,' said Wen Qing, cutting him off with a smile, 'Welcome home.'

'Welcome home, Die-Die,' said A-Yuan, laughing as Wei Wuxian used him as a shield to hide his face from those before him, 'Are you and A-Die going to get married now?'

'Soon,' said Wei Wuxian, recovering enough to meet the eyes of the man beside him, 'But first I think we have all long deserved some fun. Si-Shu, do you have any of your fruit wine?'

'I have a little stored,' came the response.

'Let's liberate it then,' said Wei Wuxian, 'I think we need to bring up the first sunrise for YilingWei after all.'

Though their surroundings were still sparse and their homes half rebuilt, he knew it would be a celebration to rival any he had attended before. As the villagers hurried to prepare, he knew he would take time with Jiang Cheng to bring Jiang Yanli up to date with all her courageous husband had done and the plans to reunite them in Lanling once Jin Zixuan was safely in power. He would take time as well to ensure all those who had suffered knew the perpetrator would answer for his crimes against them.

For a brief moment though, he stood silent. A-Yuan cradled in his arms and Lan Wangji at his side. A small part of his beloved family he knew would be a constant in the years to come.

Chapter 33: Home

Notes:

Well, here it is. The final chapter and a long awaited happily ever after. What a journey this has been. I will miss this little family and their adventures so much but it is time to turn the page once more.

Thank you to everyone who has supported me through this story - it hasn't always been easy - and I hope you will join me for many more.

As we leave Home and the Heartland, I'm going to be turning my attention to my next story called Pure Imagination, featuring a magical toy maker, an author who has lost his ability to tell stories and a toy bunny who is so well loved, he's nearly real.

Hopefully I'll see some of you there.

Nova xx

Chapter Text

Three Years Later...

Wei Wuxian leaned quietly against the door frame, watching as his husband played several notes for the small class of children before him, his voice gently encouraging as his students played them back with varying degrees of success. He knew it would take the young fingers a long while to grow confident in the art of the qin but Lan Wangji had enough patience. The evidence of it sat towards the front of the class, A-Yuan, their beloved son already a little ahead of most of his classmates given both his age and the many hours of practice he had had seated in his father's lap.

The other students would catch him up though, Wei Wuxian was sure of that. All of them bright and attentive and engaged in all their classes, especially those taken by Lan Wangji who had proved as adept at teaching as he was at everything else.

He continued to watch silently as the lesson came to an end, the students all standing and bowing to Lan Wangji, neat and tidy in their black and red robes which would be put aside not long after they left, replaced with simpler ones as they helped the older members of the village in the fields.

'Wei-Zongzhu!'

He smiled at the bright faces that soon turned to him as Cheng Yu called out to him, the youngster one of the newest additions to their sect, one of several orphans made by a flood in one of the smaller villages on the outskirts of Yunmeng the winter before. They had gladly taken them in, raising them alongside their own, the older ones proving to be patient and kind with those younger than them. He knew, when the twins born to the village by the woman who had been left a widow by Jin Guangshan's final attempt to destroy them and Mianmian's baby daughter were old enough to join their classes, that they would all prove to be the most attentive shixiong and shijie to them.

'You're all sounding so good,' he said, 'We will rival GusuLan for musical cultivation before too long.'

'Lan-Shushu will be proud of us when he next visits,' said A-Yuan with a smile.

'Hanguang-Jun will need to teach you some Gusu melodies.'

'When they have mastered the basics,' said Lan Wangji, 'Though they are not far off doing so. They have worked hard today.'

'Then they have more than earned a break,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Away with you all and play a while.'

They did not take much persuasion, forgetting all etiquette as they headed for the door but neither Wei Wuxian or Lan Wangji corrected them. Only A-Yuan remained behind, rushing to Wei Wuxian who lifted him up, feigning difficulty as he did so.

'My back! My back!' cried Wei Wuxian, 'Forced to lift an entire man for what else could our little radish be now he is nearly eight.'

'Die-Die!' said A-Yuan, 'I've only been seven for four months.'

'But you grow so fast I am sure you will be eight before your birthday.'

'Die-Die needs to come to lessons with me to learn how to count.'

'Die-Die is beyond instruction,' said Lan Wangji, tidying away the music books and placing them neatly back on the shelf.

'I truly am a lost cause,' said Wei Wuxian placing A-Yuan back on his feet, 'You played well today.'

'I have been practising. I want to be as good as A-Die one day.'

'I'm sure you will be,' said Wei Wuxian sharing a fond smile with his husband at their son's diligence, 'You already make us so proud. Are you going to go and read to Popo this afternoon?'

A-Yuan nodded even as he grimaced, 'She keeps making me sew with her.'

'It does no harm to earn such tasks,' said Lan Wangji, 'Even if you do not enjoy it.'

'And she enjoys teaching you,' said Wei Wuxian, seeing the stubbornness in the young eyes before him but also the gentle fondness for his grandmother that would have A-Yuan doing anything that was asked of him, 'On you go. She's waiting for you.'

He bent down as A-Yuan tugged on his sleeve, the warm kiss pressed to his cheek soon repeated on Lan Wangji's as the child scampered over to him before he followed his classmates out into the afternoon air.

'I swear he could run up and down the mountain three times in a row and still have too much energy,' said Wei Wuxian, crossing to his Lan Wangji's side and kissing him, feeling the teacher melt away beneath his hands to leave only his husband, 'Are you finished for the day? I have something to discuss with you.'

'What is it?'

'Sit,' said Wei Wuxian, pulling a letter from his pocket, 'Zixuan wrote to me.'

Lan Wangji smiled, 'How is the baby?'

'Thriving,' said Wei Wuxian, 'His big brother and big sister are besotted already though I am sure A-Ling will have a touch of jealousy once the novelty wears off.'

'We should take A-Yuan to the celebration, then they can play together. He will be a suitable distraction for A-Ling if one is needed.' said Lan Wangji, sitting beside his table and laughing as Wei Wuxian settled himself promptly in his lap, 'I'm assuming it is not sect business we are discussing then, Wei-Zongzhu?'

'Yes and no,' said Wei Wuxian, 'A little sect business, a little family business.'

'Is Jin Zixuan alright?' said Lan Wangji, worry creeping into his voice, 'I thought all the trouble had been dealt with.'

'Jin Zixun has finally given up being a pest, so do not worry there,' said Wei Wuxian, 'The threat of imprisonment again seems to have quelled his troublemaking.'

'Let us hope it is the last of it,' said Lan Wangji, settling Wei Wuxian more comfortably in his lap, 'What do we need to discuss?'

'Whether we take on another youngster to feed and teach. Zixuan has found another half sibling. A boy by the name of Mo Xuanyu. He's thirteen so a little older than we are used to and has been taught a little but not much. His mother is somewhat absent in her parenting and her family do not treat him kindly. Zixuan had intended to take him to Lanling but he fears those who still have sympathy for his father might use him as a puppet to further their interests. He's not much known of in Lanling so if we took him as one of our foundlings he could remain somewhat anonymous for a while at least. It would be an undertaking though, he's not had an easy upbringing.'

'We have weathered other storms,' said Lan Wangji, 'And we have always said we will give a home to anyone in need. Tell Jin Zixuan we will have space for him whenever he is ready to come to us.'

Wei Wuxian pressed a kiss to his cheek, 'With two babies due soon and three marriages planned for the summer there's going to be a fair few more people in the village soon.'

'Si Shu has already begun planning several new houses beneath the eastern ridge and we have already dug out the new field. We will manage.'

'I'll write to him after dinner,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Qing-Jie should be home from Qinghe soon, hopefully with good news to report. She and your brother seemed confident that the medicines as well as the music would help keep Chifeng-Zun's Qi well balanced.'

'He seemed much steadier when we last saw him. Even Nie Huaisang's behaviour did not seem to rattle him as it once did.'

Wei Wuxian laughed, 'I think he has given him up as a lost cause,' he said, 'But he wants him happy too and if bashing around every town that will have him and telling his stories is what does that, I don't think Chifeng-Zun will stop him. I, for one, will forever enjoy his stories.'

'Mn, especially when he tells of your heroics,' said Lan Wangji, 'Which are all wildly exaggerated.'

'Lan Wangji!' cried Wei Wuxian in mock offence, 'Is that anyway to speak to your Wei-Zongzhu?'

'Wei-Zongzhu should not be sitting in my lap if he wants me to see him as such,' said Lan Wangji, 'When he is like this, his is my Wei Ying and the rules do not apply.'

'My Lan Zhan is right, as always,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Come walk with me? I swear I saw some rabbits down by the gate this morning and I want to see if we can find them again.'

He got to his feet, pulling his husband up beside him and lacing their fingers together as he tugged him towards the door. He smiled as Lan Wangji looked back at the remnants of his class that still needed tidying, knowing several years before he would not have thought to leave such a task unfinished but life in their village had soon chased away the rigidity of his upbringing in the Cloud Recesses. He knew as well though that Lan Wangji would return before it was time for their evening meal to set the room to rights and transform the classroom back into a space that they could share as a family.

They had drawn up plans for further buildings, both finances and materials available to allow them to begin their construction but they had yet to bring them to fruition, all of the village content in living something akin to the simple life they had begun with. It would not be long though until it was necessary, their village and the sect growing larger year upon year even if it had a long way to go to rival even the smallest of the others in the world.

The village beyond the house they shared was no longer a collection of ramshackle buildings and scraggly fields, the homes and other buildings neat and well ordered and the fields lush and filled with enough food to feed them all and leave plenty to trade with Yiling and beyond. He knew some called them the peasant sect, spoke of their simpler lives in derogatory terms, but he felt nothing but pride in the life they had built after all that had stood against them.

They passed down the familiar paths, stone rather mud as they had once been, returning the greetings sent their way but no one came to bother them, leaving them to enjoy some peace as a couple even so long after their marriage.

The sun was dappled through the leaves as they continued towards the gate, the forest around them rustling and moving with the life that filled it. Wei Wuxian knew the summer would provide ample opportunities to teach their youngsters to track wild game, the skills for survival no longer needed but he knew how easily life could change and he wanted to ensure they could take care of themselves in every way possible. It would do no harm either to teach them to find the best fruit trees to help Si Shu brew his now famous fruit wine.

They were not far from the gate when they heard voices, familiar, and ones they were sure spoke to one another far more frequently than they were made privy to. Wei Wuxian had seen several letters bearing the Jiang Sect seal come into the village but they had not made their way to his hands, instead tucked into the sleeve of their beloved and revered doctor with a small, soft smile that she never showed for anyone else.

As Wen Qing's skill and knowledge had finally been recognised by the world and her talents sought by many sects, it had not been hard to discern a pattern in the requests for her presence and the pressing need of YunmengJiang to address a matter of sect business with whoever she was visiting. He had long wondered when he would be informed that Jiang-Zongzhu was coming to request an audience, certain Wen Qing would not be content with coincidental meetings for long.

'Don't tease them too much,' said Lan Wangji, squeezing his hand, 'They both have tempers and I do not want to sit through dinner with them both fuming at us.'

'Ah Lan Zhan, you're no fun,' he replied, 'I've been looking forward to playing the terrifying Yiling Laozu once more and asking Jiang Cheng if he thinks I will let one of my sect marry someone so lowly.'

'I swear you actually enjoy being hit with Zidian,' said Lan Wangji, 'And Qing-Jie's needles.'

Wei Wuxian shuddered, 'I won't tease them for long,' he said, catching sight of red and black robes next to familiar purple ones beyond the tree line, 'They don't even have a chaperone, what a scandal!'

Lan Wangji laughed with a shake of his head, 'Said the man who was sharing my bed long before we were married.'

'We had A-Yuan between us,' said Wei Wuxian, 'So that doesn't count.'

'Just be gentle,' said Lan Wangji, his tone serious, 'Qing-Jie has wanted this for a long time and she deserves to be happy.'

'Then let's get a wedding underway,' said Wei Wuxian, loosing his hand and heading quickly to the gate, dropping the barrier with a wave before he raised his voice, 'Who dares trespass upon the lair of the Yiling Laozu?'

'That wasn't frightening when you were such a thing and it's hardly frightening now,' said Wen Qing, her pink cheeks the only thing to give her away as she rounded the corner with Jiang Cheng a respectful distance behind, 'Why are you haunting the gate?'

'I'm making sure certain sect leaders don't have inappropriate designs on those under my protection,' said Wei Wuxian, laughing as Jiang Cheng's eyes widened and his cheeks grew pink, 'So you'd better have good intentions, Jiang-Zongzhu, or I will be forced to remember how terrifying I once was.'

'Is this really how you let him behave?' said Wen Qing to Lan Wangji, the latter shrugging with a small smile, 'Wei Wuxian! Will you never grow up?'

Wei Wuxian smiled, hearing the slight sharpness in her tone that told him his play was not welcome even though she expected it. 'I sincerely hope I don't,' he said, 'But alas, I must, it seems. As do we all. Is this it then? Don't think I'm ignorant about the two of you. Did you bring him here to ask for my permission or is it just a courtesy to your sect leader to say goodbye before you run off to Lotus Pier?'

'Wei Wuxian,' said Jiang Cheng, his tone annoyed but resigned, 'I wanted to do this properly. As it should be done. I was coming to talk to you.'

'Have you both planned it all the way up the mountain then?' said Wei Wuxian gentling his own voice, 'I can go back to the house and let you be announced properly but you must know that you don't need my permission. If Wen Qing thinks you're worthy of her then I have no authority to say otherwise. I wouldn't part with her to just anyone you know.'

'Whoever let you lead a sect needs my medical help,' said Wen Qing, her small smile bright.

'I believe we are all a little to blame,' said Lan Wangji, 'Wei Ying, why don't we all go back to the house and then things can be done properly. Jiang-Zongzhu has had a long journey.'

Wei Wuxian met Jiang Cheng's eyes with a smile, seeing the determination and stubbornness there but also a softening that had grown over the years as surety had steadied him along with, he was sure, the promises sent in letters from their village to Lotus Pier.

'Come in then, Jiang-Zongzhu,' he said, waving him beneath the gate, 'I think we have a great deal to discuss and then a great deal to celebrate.'

His brother's answering smile was bright as they made their way back towards the village and the rest of their family who would be all too delighted with the news they would bring.

He was certain so many events started and ended with the gate Lan Wangji and their family had built for him in the darker days when hope had to be scratched from the most basic things. He had welcomed Jiang Cheng in through the gate the day he came to propose marriage to Wen Qing and had then led the woman who had become his sister out of it months later when they had headed to the long awaited wedding. So many more marriages were borne through the gate, both those leaving to build their lives or coming to join theirs.

He remembered in perfect clarity welcoming Lan Wangji through the gate as his husband despite them passing beneath it so many times before. It was a joyful point, a transition point, the place that marked home much more than a house could. The gate and the promises written upon it were the heart of YilingWei and he hoped all who passed beneath it carried a little of each with them. He hoped the village would always prove a sanctuary to those who needed it, that those living there would always welcome all with hospitality and acceptance. He hoped those who left them carried the lessons they had taught them into the world, faced what was before them with bravery. His greatest hope though was that whoever came to them though found a family and knew that it was one they could return to wherever life might take them.

In all the years they lived through though, he knew his hopes had never been brighter than the day he stood at the gate with his husband at his side and so many of his family behind, watching the small group of young men and women in their best robes ready to set out to the Cloud Recesses and the lectures that had begun so many of Wei Wuxian's own adventures.

'Do you have anything else for me to take to Qing-Gugu?' said A-Yuan, his cheeks still rounded when he smiled despite the years having chased away the child he had once been, a man in his own right even at the tender age of sixteen, 'We should reach Lotus Pier by nightfall.'

Wei Wuxian shook his head, 'Though tell her and Jiang Cheng it wouldn't hurt to send me some of the best lotus seeds else I'll have to visit them myself to get some.'

'I'll be sure to tell them,' said A-Yuan, 'I'll write to you when we are settled at the Cloud Recesses. I'm sure those there will include letters of their own.'

'Tell Shufu I will come to visit before the end of the lectures,' said Lan Wangji, 'I have promised Xiongzhang we would go over some old books he has found and I will be able to see how you have all got on.'

'A great excuse to spy on them,' said Wei Wuxian, 'Though I know they will all do us proud.'

Promises soon followed from the young people before him, all of them bright with excitement and nerves at the adventure that awaited them. He was sure a more diverse group of backgrounds had never before been sent by one sect, foundlings and children with so many differing family names, children many others would not have given a chance to but Wei Wuxian had never backed away from a challenge and the outcome stood proudly before him.

'You'll need to watch out for them all,' said Wei Wuxian, lowering his voice for A-Yuan alone, 'It will be the first time Xuanyu has been around so many Jin disciples and things might be uncomfortable for him for a while.'

'Jin Ling won't let anyone be mean,' said A-Yuan, 'And Lan-Shushu won't tolerate anyone misbehaving.'

'Just so long as you do not misbehave,' said Lan Wangji, 'Follow my example rather than Die-Die's when it comes to your studies.'

'I will,' said A-Yuan with a laugh before he hugged them both tightly, 'I'll miss you.'

'We'll miss you too, little radish,' said Wei Wuxian, biting back the threat of tears.

'Da-Shixiong!'

The call caught A-Yuan's attention and he looked back over his shoulder with a smile. 'I'm coming.'

'Go,' said Wei Wuxian as he turned back to them, 'Just don't forget us when you're out having fun.'

'I never could,' he said, hugging them once more before he left to join the other young disciples waiting for him.

Wei Wuxian leaned against Lan Wangji's shoulder as he wrapped an arm around his waist, calls of farewell from all gathered around them sending off the small group until they disappeared into the trees that covered the mountain.

'They'll be alright,' said Lan Wangji, as the villagers behind them began to head back to their tasks, leaving them alone beneath the gate, 'We've taught them well. They're ready for this.'

'When did our little radish grow up?' said Wei Wuxian.

'I am unsure,' said Lan Wangji, 'But he's done it well. He will make us proud.'

'He already has,' said Wei Wuxian, turning and pressing a kiss to his lips, 'Thank you.'

'For what?'

'Everything,' said Wei Wuxian, 'For everything, Lan Zhan.'

'Wei Ying deserves everything,' said Lan Wangji, his hand tightening at his waist, 'Come, you have a talisman class to teach and I promised Popo I would read to her for a while.'

They had only gone a few steps when Wei Wuxian paused, looking back at the gate that stood surrounding by the lush green trees.

'He'll be home soon,' said Lan Wangji, 'They all will. They'll come home soon, Wei Ying.'

'I know,' he said, looking forward to the day he would welcome them back again.

FIN