Actions

Work Header

no lifeguard on duty!

Summary:

reuploaded.
.
.

Kid!Peter spends time with his mother and the Avengers at the pool…

Work Text:

It was a warm June afternoon when Clint suggested at the tail-end of a meeting that the team should have a poolside team bonding session. Thor and Natasha instantly agreed, excited at the idea of sunbathing and taking a dip in Toni’s luxurious indoor lap pool.

 

Bruce looked to Toni expectantly. The billionaire froze for a moment before recovering and sniffing audibly. Steve knew immediately that the woman was deflecting when she just shrugged and agreed.

 

“I’m sure the kiddie will get a kick out of it,” She said casually, “Rhodey will join us if that’s okay.”

 

The kid in question was Toni’s precious son, Peter. The team had just met the (nearly) three-year-old two weeks before, and they were immediately enamored. Peter’s doe eyes and baby brown curls were hard enough to resist, but the kid was shockingly the sweetest kid any of them had ever met. Most of them (except Thor), had unfairly expected the tot to be a spoiled brat that screamed and threw things or even a gross sticky ball of self-centered energy. But the boy was shy yet friendly, very giving and sweet as candy. Peter charmed the socks off of the team but that was expected, he is a Stark after all. 

 

The thing that shocked them even further was just how maternal Toni was with him. The genius was as far away from being the type to be a loving and affectionate mother as possible, if what their first impression of her was anything to base their judgment on. However, Toni was as gentle as could be with the boy. She was an adoring mother who doted on her son, showering him with hugs and kisses and pet names that made even Natasha feel a little gooey inside. It was a nice light to see their teammate in after the battle of New York ended. 

 

Toni worked diligently ever since Peter was conceived to be sure her baby was the most protected life-form on the planet. Peter was her second chance after Afghanistan and she didn’t cut a single corner when it came to the boy’s safety, meaning security was upped even more once Natalie Rushman caught wind of him. Military vetted bodyguards, ironclad encryptions on all legal and medical documents about the child, and airtight NDA’s for any unauthorized person that so much suspected Toni Stark had a son were just the beginning of the laundry lists of precautions Toni took for her baby. Nonetheless, all the avengers loved Peter and jumped at the opportunity to spend time with him. 

 

They’d only been able to see him a couple of times, as Toni had just returned from taking him to London for a few days to see some sort of astronomy exhibit or another. But, now the genius was offering an afternoon in the sun with a sweet little boy and a luxury pool. Steve and Bruce were sold.

 

Toni told the team that the pool was clean and ready, that they were welcome to go ahead and wait until she got her son ready and collected Rhodey. It took about two hours for the whole team to reconvene at the indoor swimming pool. The windows opened and sunlight beamed throughout the whole room, reflecting off the surface of the large body of water. Clint immediately ripped his shirt off and kicked his sandals away before running and belly-flopping into the pool. Steve winced audibly as Natasha rolled her eyes and Thor chuckled grandly. Widow had removed her makeup and braided her hair back. Her clothes from the day’s meeting had been swapped out for a black one-piece swimsuit that showed off a large portion of her back. She shook her head at the sight of Clint resurfacing and squirting water out of his mouth before whooping and dunking himself back underwater.

 

Steve shook his head and joined Doctor Banner, who was sitting on one of the beach chairs a few yards away from the pool, underneath a canopy for shade. Steve sat down on the chair beside the doctor, his eyes scanning the large open area. Admittedly, the two were only there to see Peter (and Toni, but neither would ever admit it), so they watched as Thor cannon-balled into the pool with a grand shout and plenty of amusement. Natasha called out with a deadpan tone, 

 

“You get a 10. It had everything, theatrics, a battle cry, and a big splash. Incredible.”

 

“What about me?” Clint asked as he backstroked the length of the pool, his eyes on her.

 

“You’ve caught me on a day I’m most generous,” She replied, “You get a 2.”

 

“I have a feeling this competition is rigged,” Clint replied, disappearing under the surface of the water once again. Natasha shook her head and dipped her toes in the water before walking down the steps of the pool, sighing in contentment as she floated in the shallow end.

 

“How many times do I have to say it, Honeybear?” Toni’s voice came from the far end of the room towards the elevator, “Let me be a hot mama.”

 

“Just seems a little excessive, is all I’m saying,” Rhodey replied with an unimpressed shrug of his shoulders.

 

“To you,” Toni said, all the heads in the room turning to her and the boy in her arms, “Because you have no taste.”

 

Rhodey shook his head and grumbled under his breath before greeting the team. Toni bounced the toddler in her arms as she set down a small backpack on one of the unoccupied beach chairs, a melody of giggles filling the room. Steve and Bruce smiled, looking up at the boy in the billionaire’s arms.

 

“Say hi, tesoro. They came to see you and go swimming.” Toni said with a smile as she set him down to stand on the chair. She rifled through the bag, bending over to find something within it. Underneath a long and worn Black Sabbath t-shirt, the light blue of her bikini bottoms poked through. Steve cleared his throat as his eyes caught the curve of her rump, forcing himself to focus on the toddler before him and not his teammate’s rear.

 

“Hey, Peter,” Steve greeted with a smile, “It’s nice to see you. Are you ready to go swimming?”

 

“Yeah!” Peter cheered, throwing his little arms up in the air, “Mommy says I can ‘o swimmin’ wif’ my floadies on!”

 

Peter climbed over to Steve with a smile, “C’mon, cap! We gotta get the pool toys!”

 

“Aye, mimmo,” Toni called out to her son, “What did we agree goes before playing in the sun?”

 

“Sumbloc’!” The boy replied dutifully, turning to his mother, “But can me an’ cap just get the toys? Real quick, mommy, please?”

 

“Alright, if your skin falls off,” Toni began passively, “Don’t come to me cryin’ about it.”

 

Peter just giggled in response, grabbing Steve’s hand and making a big show of trying to pull him up off the beach chair. The boy planted his little feet and squeezed his eyes shut in strain, little grunts came from him as he pulled with all his might to get the super soldier on his feet. Steve smiled, pretending to fight back against the child’s pull.

 

“Gosh, Peter,” Steve pretended to strain, “You’re getting too strong, kid.”

 

Peter giggled again, putting smiles on everyone’s lips.

 

“Cus’ I like brock'ly now! Brock'ly makes you big and strong!” Peter exclaimed, showing off his little arms.

 

“No kidding,” Steve chuckled, now allowing the (nearly) three-year-old to drag him to the large shed that held all the pool accessories. He helped the child pick out inner tubes and beach balls, as well as foam pool noodles and water guns, and carry them back to the beach chairs. Steve laid them down on the chair he was sitting on previously when Toni came over and scooped up the toddler. 

 

He looked up and noticed the genius had taken off the oversized shirt she had previously adorned, leaving a simple baby blue bikini wrapped around her surprisingly pale skin. The arc reactor shone, the scar tissue around it now a pale pink. Rhodey was honestly surprised Toni was showing off her body at all. The woman was never above advertising her assets, but those closest to Toni knew that her chest was something sensitive to her. The Colonel himself had seen it plenty of times, but he’d known the genius for half of her life. These people, her team, were almost strangers. Rhodey didn’t know whether to worry about his friend or be proud that she was getting more comfortable with either her body or the Avengers; either was a big step for her.

 

Toni’s toned legs had the odd scrape or bruise along them, no doubt from the Iron Woman suit or chasing around a rambunctious toddler. Steve caught himself staring before shaking his head and turning to Bruce, who was hiding his blushing face in a book.

 

Steve turned to those in the pool to see Natasha dunking Clint underwater and Thor cheering her on.

 

“C’mon, lovebug,” Toni said, wrangling a squirmy Peter in her arms as she sat on the beach chair beside Steve, “Sunblock time.”

 

Steve decided to just get into the pool and save himself any embarrassment. If you asked him, he was just shocked at the genius’ pale skin and not at all fawning over how beautiful she looked. Steve was simply washed with admirable respect, as it was clear Toni trusted her team enough to be so vulnerable around them. Not only was she literally in a bikini, with nowhere to hide her scars or traumatic body modifications, she was also allowing them to be with her son. 

 

For that, Steve was certainly not ogling at her slight curves and toned muscle, nor was he appreciating how much seeing her like that reminded him what decade he was currently standing in. 

 

Her long brown hair was tied up, and her makeup was immaculate. It was odd to Steve that she had seemingly refreshed her makeup since the meeting. Even Natasha had come to the pool barefaced, given the activity they were participating in. Steve admittedly didn’t know much about cosmetics, but he knew they didn’t typically mix well with water. Either way, the soldier whipped off his shirt and set aside his shoes before diving into the pool and swimming away from the warmth swirling in his chest. 

 

“Jesus, Toni,” Rhodey chuckled, “You get paler and paler every time I come back from work. You keep that boy inside too much. Maybe leave the lab once in a while. Take him to the park or something.”

 

“Peter has sensitive skin,” Toni shrugged, lathering children’s sunblock on the boy in question. Her gentle hands caressed his baby soft skin which was considerably paler in comparison to Toni’s.

 

“Doesn’t mean you gotta make my nephew into a naked mole-rat,” Rhodey replied.

 

“Not a mole rat!” Peter cried indignantly to his uncle as his mother carefully applied sunblock to his face.

 

“That’s right,” Toni nodded, giving her son a serious face, “Stop being mean to my baby, sour patch.”

 

“Mean uncle Whodey!” Peter pouted, “Stinky face!’

 

At that, Natasha chuckled at the boy’s antics and Steve and Bruce couldn't hide their adoring smiles.

 

“Okay, boys,” Toni said with a smile on her face, “Play nice, or you both get time out.”

 

Peter sat up straight and looked up at his mother with a look of urgency on his face before miming zipping his mouth shut. Rhodey just rolled his eyes in response.

 

“Ca’ I go swimmin’ now, mommy?” Peter asked, bouncing up and down on her lap with a winning smile.

 

“You have to wait a little bit for the sunblock to soak in, Pete,” Toni replied, “Just sit in the shade for 15 minutes, then you can go.”

 

The genius began applying sunblock on her own skin, knowing Peter would protest wearing the gloopy stuff if his mom didn’t put it on too. Toni, once again, unknowingly earned the attention of most of the adults in the room. She was more occupied watching her son scribble on his coloring book with the crayons she had packed in his bag, her hands expertly massaging the lotion onto her legs, then stomach and chest. Her hands migrated to the exposed skin on the top of her breasts, effectively avoiding the reactor, and neck as Steve felt his throat go dry. Before he could stop himself from staring, he was accosted with a blast of water. Steve shook the water from his face and looked up to see Rhodey with a water gun, attacking him and the other avengers that happened to be staring at the billionaire. He looked up to see Bruce shaking water off of his hair and a deep blush spreading across his cheeks.

 

“Eyes up,” Rhodey called out with a mischievous grin, causing Steve to duck in embarrassment. Steve was a timid man when it came to women like Toni even back in the day, and that was with women from his own time. A modern woman like Toni Stark, a woman that he admittedly didn’t treat fairly upon their first meeting was someone he couldn’t dream of shooting straight with. Plus, she was a dedicated mother with more things to worry about than Good ol’ Captain America giving her googly eyes. A woman like Toni could get any man (or woman) she desired, and Steve knew she wouldn’t choose a man that judged her harshly without him knowing her personally.

 

His attention was brought back to Peter who laughed loudly at his uncle’s antics, as the man continued to blast Thor for his amusement.

 

“Mommy! Mommy! I wanna play with unca’ Whodey!” Peter exclaimed, turning to his mother. The genius was laying back in her reclined beach chair with her son at her feet, just relaxing in the shade.

 

“Just a few more minutes, baby bear,” Toni replied, running her fingers through her hair as she took down her bun.

 

“But, mommy!” Peter whined, climbing over to sit on her lap, “Wanna p’ay now!”

 

“I know, patatino,” Toni hummed, pulling the boy towards her and laying him flat against herself. Their chests pressed together and Peter rested his face on her collarbone, snuggling close, his chubby little hand laying flat against the arc reactor. Steve smiled at the idea of Peter adoring the light in his mother’s chest, his own personal nightlight that brought a whole new sense of security with her embrace.

 

“Just gotta wait for your sunblock to soak in,” Toni replied softly, her hands lightly rubbing the boy’s bare back, “Then you and uncle platypus can play all you want. Okay?”

 

“Okay, mommy,” Peter sighed, enjoying the feeling of relaxing in his mother’s arms. Peter was a mellow and well-behaved boy so moments like this weren’t uncommon. He loved just being with his momma. He liked having her in his sight but he LOVED being held in her arms.

 

The team looked on with fond smiles as the two Starks cuddled close, Rhodey taking a seat beside them and reclining with an audible exhale.

 

“Don’t get too comfy, Honeybear,” Toni smirked, “Pete’s gonna drag you into the pool in just a few minutes.”

 

“Want you to come swimmin’ wif us, mommy,” Peter said quietly, his eyes focused on a birthmark staining his mother’s arm. He circled the small spot with his finger, anxiously awaiting Toni’s reaction. Peter knew his mommy didn’t like swimming, she didn’t even like getting wet. Sometimes, if he splashes too much in the bath, Uncle Rhodey has to come in and help him while his mommy goes into her room and waits. At first, Peter felt bad, he didn’t mean to be a bad boy; splashing’s just fun! 

 

Uncle Rhodey and Auntie Pepper tell him it’s not because he’s a bad boy, just because Mommy had some scary stuff happen to her. And getting wet sometimes reminds her of it. They tell him about a time before he was born that his Mommy was taken to a scary place and bad people did scary things to her. They told him that sometimes it gives her nightmares and that’s why he can’t sleep in Mommy’s bed with her some nights, even though he wants to! He wants to be there with his mommy so he can help her calm down from a nightmare just like she does for him sometimes!

 

Toni tensed slightly, her grip on Peter tightening a bit before she drew in a deep breath.

 

“Uncle Rhodey’s going swimming with you, cucciolo,” Toni sighed, combing her fingers through the boy’s curls. It was something she’s done since Peter was born, as touching her baby’s hair provided both of them immense comfort, “I’ll be right here watching you, though.”

 

“But, mommy,” Peter pouted, sitting up in his mother’s lap, “Wan’ you to come too!”

 

Peter knew his mommy was scared of the water, but he and Uncle Rhodey would be right there with her! She’d be okay, and see that the water isn’t scary! Even the avengers were there, too. His mommy would be kept safe and protected and she’d see how much fun swimming is! As long as no one splashes her, she’ll have so much fun with him and his uncle! Peter just knows it! Plus, mommy helps him get over his fears all the time. Like the time she showed him that no monsters were hiding in his closet, or the time she showed him that his broccoli hadn’t been poisoned.

 

“C’mon, buddy,” Rhodey offered gently to his nephew, “We can have fun without your mom with us. She’ll be close by watching.”

 

“No!” Peter shook his head, leaning forward and resting his face onto Toni’s chest, “Wan’ mommy.”

 

“Peter—” Toni began before Clint interrupted.

 

“C’mon, Stark!” The archer called out, floating on his back, “You’re not going to deprive the kid of fun in the sun with his ma, are ya?”

 

“Clint,” Natasha began to reprimand, catching Steve’s attention.

 

“What? Team bonding, right?” Clint shrugged.

 

“Bruce hasn’t gotten in the pool,” Natasha pointed out with a nod in the Doctor’s direction.

 

“Bruce didn’t come with a kid,” Clint countered, “If Pete wants his mom to swim with him, she should swim with him.”

 

“Toni,” Rhodey said to the genius, ignoring the talk from the pool, “I’ll go in with him, don’t worry.”

“Mommy,” Peter mustered up his best puppy dog eyes and stuck out his bottom lip before saying, “Please?”

 

Toni tried her best to control her breathing. Her hands were hardly shaking where they rested on the small of her son’s back. 

 

“We would most enjoy it if you joined our team festivity, Stark,” Thor encouraged, “And your little Starkson would be comforted by your engagement.”

 

“Toni,” Rhodey tried again. He didn’t want what was supposed to be a fun day for the family and new friends to turn into a PTSD-related panic attack; not if he could help it.

 

But Toni brushed him off. She didn’t want to appear weak in front of her team. She didn’t want to prove that she wasn’t good enough to be an actual avenger rather than merely a consultant. She also didn’t want them to think she was too good to give her son anything he asked of her, as innocent as the request was. The inventor was already overly critical and self-conscious of her decision to wear a bikini in front of the team, with nowhere to hide the scars littering her body. In her head, she tried convincing herself that she just wanted to show off that she was matching Peter’s baby blue swim trunks. It was sort of her thing, anyway, to coordinate her son’s outfits with her own.

 

But, for Peter, she’d do anything. She’d suck up to her paralyzing fear of water, for Peter. She’d agree to even go poolside at all, for Peter. So, for Peter, the genius sucked in a deep breath and stood up.

 

“Toni,” Rhodey said, standing up to either intervene or at least take Peter.

 

“C’mon, pup,” Toni said, bouncing the toddler in her arms again, “Let’s get your floaties on.”

 

“Mommy come?” Peter asked with a smile.

 

“Yeah” Toni nodded with a wide smile. They’d all seen that smile before, and Steve would give anything to know if it was genuine. “Mommy’s gonna go in the pool with you, okay? But we gotta be careful.”

 

Peter nodded dutifully and held his arm out for Rhodey as he approached with the inflated water wings.

 

“Are you sure about this, Tones?” Rhodes asked quietly, “I could take him, he won’t put up much of a fuss once he’s in there. We both know—”

 

“It’s fine,” Toni shook her head, her smile not leaving her face but her eyes refusing to meet the Colonel’s eyes.

 

“Mommy, we gonna have so much fun!” Peter cheered, offering his uncle his other arm to slide the other water wing onto.

 

“Yeah,” Toni replied with her own toned-down level of cheer. Steve’s heart dropped as he realized Toni was not at all comfortable with the idea of getting into the water. Was it because of them? Was it because she’d caught Steve or Bruce staring at her before? Had they made her uncomfortable? Gosh, he’d really—

 

“C’mon, bambino,” Toni hummed, taking shaky steps towards the large pool. She looked over the surface of the water and swallowed hard. Steve was looking up at her from the water with concern, while Nat was somewhat shepherding Thor and Clint over to the deeper end of the pool, away from where Toni stood near the steps.

 

“JARVIS,’ Toni called out, her voice surprisingly even, “What’s the water temp?”

 

“The water is sitting a standard 78 degrees Fahrenheit,” The AI dutifully replied, “Would you like me to adjust it?”

 

“Yeah,” Toni nodded, “A little warmer, please… For the baby,”

 

“Certainly, madame,” JARVIS replied and the team felt the water get warmer around them. Not uncomfortably so, but it was noticeable. Clint rolled his eyes and turned back to his attempt to explain the rules of Marco Polo to Thor.

 

“No cold water,” Peter said wearily, looking down at the water.

 

“Water’s nice and warm, kid,” Rhodey said softly beside them and Toni wasn’t sure if he was talking to her or Peter.

 

“Uncle Whodey come too?” Peter asked, turning to face his uncle with a stunning smile.

 

“Of course,” Rhodey nodded, “I’m not letting your mom take all the fun.”

 

Toni appreciated his attempt to lighten the mood as she took another shaky step towards the pool stairs. Rhodey followed suit.

 

“Wait!” Peter called out, “We need the pool toys!”

 

“Right,” Toni chuckled nervously, turning around and walking Peter over to the beach chair that held the toys in question, “Silly me. How could I forget the pool toys?”

 

“Whatcha got, Stark?” Clint asked as he pulled himself up and out from the side of the pool, trudging over to the chair dripping wet.

 

“We got noodles and beach balls and water guns,” Peter called out excitedly, leaning forward in his mom’s grab to reach out for a toy. The boy was confident his mother would never drop him so he didn’t bother hanging onto her tightly.

 

“We got a whole shed of more, Legolas,” Toni nodded in the direction of the shed Peter had retrieved the toys with Steve before, “Knock yourself out.”

 

“Sweet,” Clint nodded and made his way over to the shed.

 

“Uncle Whodey!” Peter called out, extending his arms to hand over a beach ball to the Colonel, “We gotta p’ay vowwy ball!”

 

“You got it, squirt,” Rhodey chuckled, taking the ball from the toddler.

 

“And we need a noodle!” Peter exclaimed, reaching from Toni’s grip to grab a pool noodle. The boy hugged the red foam tube in his arms and gave his mother a cheeky smile.

 

“Okay,” Toni said, “Ready, bear?”

 

“Yeah!” Peter cheered, bouncing lightly in his mother’s arms as she slowly made her way back to the pool steps. She decided she’d already made a scene too big for the other avengers not to notice her trepidation. So, pointedly ignoring the screaming voice in her head and the pounding in her chest, she cuddled her baby closer to her chest and took slow and steady steps down into the shallow end of the pool. Toni focuses all her attention on the smile spreading across Peter’s face. She presses a quick kiss to his cheek and continues to wade a little further into the shallow water.

 

Toni hears the sound of someone entering the pool behind her, making her stiffen up and tighten her hold on Peter.

 

“It’s okay, Toni,” Rhodey’s calm voice sounds from behind her and she feels his hand steadily rest on the small of her back, “This is far enough.”

 

Toni nods, her shoulders still stiff with anxiety. The genius takes a deep breath before settling the toddler in her arms down to float in front of her.

 

“We swimmin’, Mommy!” Peter exclaimed, a look of pride evident on his face. Toni tried to focus every ounce of anxiety on the smile on her baby’s face. Peter was okay. She was okay. Rhodey was okay. They were in a pool in Manhattan, not a cave in Afghanistan. It was okay.

 

Toni took in another deep breath and gave her son a small smile.

 

“Yeah, baby,” Toni nods, “Just stay close to Mommy, okay?”

 

“Le’s go dis way!” Peter squeals, kicking his feet towards where Thor, Steve, and Natasha were floating, waiting for Clint to return, “Cap! Lookit me! I’m swimmin’ too!”

 

“Wow,” Steve smiled at the boy, “You swim really good, Pete. Look how fast you’re going.”

 

“Peter,” Toni called out, as the boy made his way further away from the safety of the shallow end, towards the deep end of the pool, “Peter, come to Mommy, please.”

 

“Mommy, le’s swim wif Cap!” Peter called out, turning back to face his mother.

 

“You have to stay in the shallow end, topolino,” Toni called out, her voice almost cracking at the end as her heart rate began to pick up again. Peter was out of her reach, swimming away from her. Sure, he was swimming towards the Great Captain America, but that was her baby. At that moment, her motherly instincts overpowered her self-preservation instinct as she waded further into the water towards her retreating son. As the water got deeper, it rose from just above her waist towards the bottom of her chest. The water began to slowly raise her chest and Toni felt like the air in her lungs began to somehow liquify.

 

“Toni,” Rhodey called out behind her, “It’s okay. Stay right there. I’ll get him, he’s okay.”

 

Steve, noticing the look of pure panic on the billionaire’s face, instinctively scooped the paddling toddler up into his arms and held him securely against his chest.

 

“Everything alright?” The Captain asked, his voice filled with concern. He knew, logically, the boy wouldn’t drown on his watch. There were seven adults in the room with Peter that would intervene before any harm came to him. But clearly, there was something the Colonel and the billionaire knew that the rest of the team didn’t and it was making them all very nervous. Toni just whimpered and nodded, her arms snaking around her waist and hugging herself tightly. Her eyes were distant and unseeing, glazed over with fear. And, she was shivering despite the warm water and sun beating down on her exposed skin.

 

Rhodey wades over to the Captain and reaches out to grab his nephew.

 

“C’mon, Pete,” Rhodey says softly, “Let’s stay closer to Mommy, okay?”

 

“But I’m swimmin’, Uncle Whodey! I’m swimmin wif Cap!” The boy replied, climbing into the man’s arms anyway, “It’s otay.”

 

“I know, buddy. But your mom wants you to stay a little closer to her, okay?” The Colonel said softly, turning to take the boy back to his mother.

 

“Is everything okay?” Steve asked with worry, but before the question could fully leave his lips, Clint came rushing back to the pool with a yellow inflated duck-shaped inner tube around his waist. The archer was giving out a mighty battle cry as he came running towards the pool before he jumped and cannonballed into the water.

 

The splash from the landing splayed out far and wide, even getting Bruce the smallest bit wet from his spot. Natasha muttered out a curse in Russian, Thor bellowed in joyful laughter, and Steve just shook the water from his face. Peter squealed in delight before erupting in a fit of giggles.

 

“Toni,” Rhodey’s nervous voice sounded, causing Steve to look over at the billionaire with concern.

 

“Stark,” Steve exhaled, beginning to wade over to Toni who is visibly trying to keep herself calm but failing. The genius was beginning to hyperventilate and looked around the pool with eyes unseeing and blown out with fear. Once her eyes land on Peter still giggling in his uncle’s arms, safe, Toni frantically tries to make her way out of the pool.

 

Water splashed around her as she tried flailing out to the steps, the speed not sufficient enough to soothe her panic. Steve’s worry only increased, but he gently held Toni by the waist and helped her tread over to the side of the pool to make her escape quickly. Toni grunted and grabbed the railing once she was close enough to pull herself out of the offending water. She climbed out and scrambled to her feet, hurrying towards the door she, Colonel Rhodes, and Peter had entered from without looking back. Before she made it too far, Pepper Potts showed up in all her glory, holding a large fluffy towel.

 

“It’s okay,” Steve’s enhanced hearing picked up Pepper’s hushed voice as she wrapped the towel around the distressed engineer, “Everyone’s safe, Toni. Peter’s okay, you’re okay.”

 

Toni doesn’t even slow down as she continues her trek back into the rest of the building away from the pool, not even to acknowledge the light kiss Pepper places on her temple. Toni just allows the trusted woman to lightly guide her towards the elevator with a quiet promise to follow her up in a moment.

 

“JARVIS, please get a hot shower ready for Toni,” Pepper said softly as she watched the genius disappear behind the closing elevator doors.

 

“Certainly, Ms. Potts,” JARVIS replied dutifully. Pepper sighs and takes a few steps towards the pool, minding the water both Toni and Clint left slicking the pavement.

 

“Unfortunately, you will have to continue your team bonding exercise without Miss Stark. Feel free to stay and drink, eat, or whatever you please.” The woman said before turning and quickly following after Toni.

 

“Where mommy go?” Peter asked, looking up at his uncle sadly.

 

“Mommy’s gonna take a shower and rest a bit,” The Colonel explained gently, setting the boy down to allow him to float in the water, “How about you and I swim for a bit and then join her later?”

 

“No,” Peter squirmed around, kicking his little legs under the water, “Wan’ mommy!”

 

“Let’s give mommy some time, bud,” Rhodes calmly encouraged.

 

“Wan’ mommy, P’ease!!! Unca’ Whodey!” Peter cried out, flailing to grab onto the man.

 

Rhodes sighed and picked the boy up, holding him tightly against his chest.

 

“Alright, squirt,” He said, wading to exit the pool, “Let’s get you a bath, and then we’ll go see mommy.”

 

“Is Toni going to be okay?” Steve asked, his concern only growing.

 

“Yeah, what made her walk out on us? She even left the kid behind,” Clint asked incredulously.

 

Natasha replied by splashing the archer with a wave of water. The Colonel ignored Clint as he exited the pool and pulled off the water wings from Peter’s arms. Rhodes wrapped the boy in a fluffy blanket and held him close to his chest before turning to the Captain.

 

“Toni’ll be fine. She just needs some space,” was all Rhodes said before leaving the pool room with Peter. Upon hearing the soft sound of the elevator doors closing behind them, Steve looks over to the rest of the team with a confused look still etched on his face.

 

“Is- Did we- I don’t—” Bruce stammered as he rose from where he was previously seated, walking towards the pool with his eyes stuck towards where Rhodey and Peter had just disappeared.

 

“I was hoping we’d avoid it, but I was almost sure it was going to happen,” Natasha said almost wistfully.

 

“What do you mean?” Steve asked.

 

Natasha looked around at them all staring at her, waiting for an explanation. She rolled her eyes at their cluelessness.

 

“You guys heard about Afghanistan, what did you expect?” 

 

“What does Afghanistan have to do with a pool in Manhattan?” Clint asked.

 

“She was tortured into compliance, moron,” Natasha bit out as she began to float on her back, looking up at the sky through the glass walls.

 

“The physical exam she went through after she was rescued showed signs of water inhalation. It’s suspected that she might have been forced underwater or was even waterboarded.”

 

“Suspected?” Bruce asked with a look of horror on his face.

 

“She hasn’t said much at all about what they did to her there, just what they asked of her. Stark isn’t one to talk about what she’s been through. She plays it close to the vest to not let any weakness slip.” Natasha explained as if it were the simplest explanation.

 

“Then why—” Steve asked. His heart was pounding in his chest. 

 

Since coming out of ice, Steve had talked to a few professionals about shell shock and learned the new terminology surrounding it. PTSD, they called it now. Either way, as a leader, Steve was almost ashamed of himself for not seeing it in Toni. He saw a woman dealing with a lot on her plate. He knew she’d been captured and gotten out, but he didn’t dwell much on the fact that she’d spent months in an Afghan cave. He was a captain, damn it. He’s supposed to take care of his team.

 

“Why what?” Natasha asked, with an arched brow.

 

“Why’d you—” Steve shook his head, “Your assessment of her…”

 

“PTSD doesn’t make any of it any less true, I just omitted any justification for her behavior during my time watching her,” Natasha replied smoothly, never ceasing her peaceful floating.

 

“Why?” Bruce asked incredulously.

 

“Because she shouldn’t be in this line of work. She’s been through enough, and she had a toddler to take care of. I knew she didn’t want it, I was trying to keep her and Peter out of it.”

 

The men were shocked silent, only the sound of water rippling could be heard until Natasha spoke once again, “JARVIS, can we get the water temp down a few notches now that Toni’s not here?”

 

“Certainly, Agent Romanoff,” The AI replied, the water cooling down around them. It made sense now, why Toni wanted the water so warm. She wanted to do anything to not be reminded of that cave.

 

 

 

⋆⋆☆⋆⋆

 

 

 

Pepper walked out after setting a steaming mug of tea on the nightstand. Toni sat on her large bed wrapped in a bathrobe, her long wet hair tied up in a messy bun. The warm shower helped and JARVIS was showing her the live video feed of Rhodey bathing Peter, soothing the genius to see her baby safe and sound. Toni smiled sadly as Peter demanded to be taken out of the bath and to his mother. She knew her son was too perceptive for his own good, knowing his mommy was upset and wanting to be with her. With a sigh, she dismissed the video feed and pulled on sweatpants and an MIT shirt that still swamped her figure even years later.

 

“JARVIS, get ready to play Peter Pan for us, would you, pal?” Toni asked.

 

“Of course, madame,” JARVIS replied, his voice fond. 

 

Just then, there’s a soft knock on her door. Toni padded over to the door, opening it to smile at the sight of her son wrapped in a hooded towel resembling a duckling.

 

“Mommy,” Peter whined before reaching out towards his mother. Toni scooped the boy in her arms and held him close. 

 

“Hey, bug,” She soothed as she began rocking the boy back and forth.

 

“Here’s his clean clothes, he wouldn’t let me dress him. He just wanted you,” Rhodey said, walking to her bed and setting a small stack of folded clothes with a bottle of baby lotion on top.

 

“That’s fine, I got him from here. Thanks, Sugarbear,” Toni smiled.

 

“Are you sure? I can stay, Toni. If you need help with anything, anything at all.”

 

“Yeah, I think we’re just going to have some quiet time. Watch Peter Pan and snuggle. I might even join him for his nap,” Toni sighed, never stopping the rocking motion as Peter snuggled close to her.

 

“Okay, that’s good. You two need to rest. But we’re having dinner as a family. No excuses,” The Colonel said sternly, eyeing Toni with all his concern still evident.

 

“Pizza,” Peter murmured sleepily against his mother’s neck, causing the two adults to chuckle. 

 

“You got it, buddy. Take care of your mommy, I’ll see you two for dinner,” Rhodey said fondly before sparing Toni another look.

 

“Bye uncle whodey,” Peter sighed sleepily and let his eyes flutter shut.

 

“See you later, platypus,” Toni smiled, causing her best friend to nod and walk away. 

 

Toni softly shut her door and carried Peter to her bed. She lied the boy down and ran the towel gently across his bare skin and through his damp curls. Toni was surprised that the boy was allowing her to even put him down, to begin with, but she figured she wouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth and proceed cautiously and quickly. 

 

It took her no time at all to lather the boy in baby lotion and stick him in a pull-up that Rhodey so graciously provided. Easily enough, she wrangled her boy into little grey sweatpants and his new favorite War Machine shirt. Toni shook her head with a smile on her face, of course, that’d be the shirt he’d pick out for her son to nap in. Toni then set aside the bottle of lotion and hung the hooded towel to dry on the door of her bathroom before climbing into her bed and cuddling close with her son.

 

“J, play the movie, with a volume that’s mindful of a sleeping baby,” She said softly. With that, Peter Pan began playing quietly.

 

“Not a baby,” Peter mumbled from where his face was buried in his mother’s shirt. The boy readjusted and scooted until he was laying chest to chest with Toni, like he was earlier by the pool, his cheek smooshed beside the arc reactor.

 

“You’re my baby, tesoro,” Toni hummed and began running her fingers through the boy’s still slightly damp curls, “You’ll always be my baby boy.”

 

Toni was so content she could almost forget entirely that the Avengers were still in the tower, probably wondering why she just up and left their bonding sesh. She could practically ignore the remnants of the anxiety and dread lingering in her chest and stomach. All Toni could feel at that moment was Peter. She could feel his weight on her chest, his breath tickling her skin, his little hand grabbing a handful of her shirt, and his hair through her fingers. The billionaire buried her nose in his curls and immersed herself in the moment. Pepper and Rhodey were both in town, and they were going to have dinner like a family. Her family was home and it was warm. Warmer than an Afghan cave and an empty Malibu mansion. And best of all, her baby was right here with her, in their home, safe and sound. And that was more than she could have ever asked for.





Series this work belongs to: