Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Trick or Treat Exchange 2021
Stats:
Published:
2021-10-31
Words:
679
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
3
Kudos:
10
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
63

going offscript

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

It wasn’t like she went looking for this sort of thing. Well, not very often, sometimes people go missing and you can’t just ignore that.

Anymore, at least. She still had a lot of questions about that summer when she was five. She used to think the grownups were just lying about not being able to find Tiffany, but after last summer? Now she figured they didn’t find her, got their minds wiped, or found something they just didn’t want to tell the rest of the kids about.

Point being that when she took the shortcut through the woods towards her house, instead of staying on the stupid path like she apparently should have, Wendy was not actually expecting fairy lights and a mysterious voice she couldn’t quite make out talking to her. Or itself, for all she knew, but since she could hear it it probably meant to be talking to her.

Now, she could have just sat down and refused to play along, but that sounded like a good way to end up tired and bored and still have to deal with supernatural nonsense, and that was experience talking. So she decided to try a different tactic, pulling out her axe and swinging it (never hurt to have a weapon on hand these days). “Look, do you need me to kill something? Or do I need me to do that? Because I gotta tell you, it’s been a long day and I am so not in the mood for this, buddy.”

The lights seemed to flicker, and the voice stopped, and for just a sec she thought she’d scared it off. Then she heard a throat-clearing sort of cough behind her and sighed in annoyed disappointment before turning around to see...

“Uhhhh, what am I even looking at here, dude. Because you look.. kind of like a giraffe got dropped in a blender with a sloth? Are you supposed to look like this, or is it part of the problem?”

The.. eyes, she really hoped those were eyes, sort of blinked before it sighed. “You try not to disturb people and this is the reaction you get. I have fur, don’t I? Don’t things here have fur?! Most... of them...” It glanced sidelong at the trees and Wendy had the impression that this whatsit was as disturbed by trees as she was by it, which was honestly kind of reassuring. “But rudeness aside, I. Actually could use your help killing something? I don’t know, the elders had this whole list of things you’re supposed to do to recruit ‘mortals’ and it all sounds like a load of kralkshit to me. What does ‘mortals’ mean, even, it’s not like we don’t die, that’s the whole problem!”

“So, okay, slow down dude.” Wendy said, laughing a little. “First of all, elders? Sounds like you mean grownups, and some of them are just idiots no matter what species you’re from. Trust me on that.” The way it... she had to assume that was nodding, head shaped parts were moving, good enough. It nodded and she continued. “Second, I probably won’t mind helping you, but I am beat right now. Not gonna be good for anything. Any chance we could meet some time tomorrow and actually talk about whatever it is that needs killing?”

“You... are not alone in that. It’s kind of hard to open a bridge here, though.” It shuddered, and oh wow that was definitely nightmare fuel. “Would you be willing to meet deeper in the woods, when your moon is full?”

It looked kind of hopeful, and so far so good, so.... “Mind me bringing some friends? And more weapons.”

“Oh please do, that would be wonderful.” It was actually sweet the way its eyes lit up though.

“Okay. I’m reserving the right to back out if you want us to do something horrible, but I’ll see you then dude. Night!” She waved and walked off, trying not to catch it waving back out of the corner of her eyes. She'd worry about calling the gang tomorrow.

Notes:

Something something only physically solid beings can harm the thing, humans being homicidal a bonus? Sooz is totally coming too.