Actions

Work Header

Something to be gained

Summary:

A direct sequel to. "What we lost."

Zuko and Mai are now living a happy life in the earth kingdom as bounty hunters.

They are living their best life, are very much in love, and are deeply enjoying their newfound freedom.

What could possibly screw this up? Well, one day the unexpected happens and the Avatar returns after all.

An opportunity presents itself for Zuko. He can end his banishment after all. Mai though doesn't want to say goodbye to their happy life as bounty hunters. And then there is the fact that the Avatar might not even be the old nasty man Zuko thought he was.

Things get complicated.

Chapter Text

With the wind in his hair, and a big grin on his face did Zuko, former Crown Prince of the fire nation, now known as Lee ride through the forest on his Khomodo-Rhino.

Four most since he had left his ship and his crew, four most since he had abandoned his title as Prince. Four months since he had become free. And he had never been happier.

And the one who had made it all possible now rode up beside him on her own Khomodo-Rhino, a smile on her own face. Which was quite something, because before they had become free those four months ago. Her smile had been just as rare. But now it was common on both of them.

Mai! Former noble lady. Now went by the name of April to those in public.

And together they were a couple of upstarting bounty hunters.

"We're catching up to them!" Zuko stated.

"Let's be fair. They never really had a chance." Mai remarked and Zuko grinned as he grabbed the dual dao blade on his back.

Mai glanced at Zuko. "Do you even know how badass it is that you don't even need fire bending to kick ass?"

"I enjoy it when you remind me." Zuko grinned at her. "Do you know how badass it is that you don't even need me to take down these guys?"

And Mai smirked in return. "Well… I enjoy it when you remind me," she said and they both leaned over to kiss.

Just as their target appeared, three guys were herding a large group of Ostrich horses.

Wide-eyed the men turned around to look at them and one gaped.

"Wait a second… Kids?" he asked. "We have been running like crazy because of two kids?" he asked.

Zuko smirked. "We were led to believe those Ostrich horses don't belong to you."

One of the guys huffed annoyed. "They are just kids. Let's take them out and get out of here."

Mai grinned. "Oh… I so hoped you would be saying that." and then she threw the first knife which hit its exact target. The shoulder of one of the men who shouted in surprise and dropped his sword.

Zuko leaped off his own Khomodo-Rhino and landed on an Ostrich horse. Kicking off its rider.

The last one roared as he jumped down himself and stomped on the ground, making a big boulder emerge. Only for Mai to dodge. Roll and throw a knife forcing the earth bender to block.

Only for Zuko to come from behind and kick him down on the ground.

Just in time for one of the others to come at Zuko and Mai threw a knife at him, hitting his leg and he screamed as he fell down.

A pare, a kick, a knife being thrown and all three big men were now on the ground groaning deeply while Mai and Zuko was standing right in front of each other. Grinning at each other.

Then Mai wrapped her arms around Zuko's neck as she beamed up at him. "I love you so much."

"Love you too." Zuko grinned and they both started to kiss just as one of the thieves on the ground groaned deeply.

"Are you serious?" The man asked. "Are you actually serious?! We were taken out by two lovesick kids."

Neither Zuko nor Mai seemed to hear them. They were just looking at each other looking beyond happy and in love.

Another one of the men on the ground groaned deeply. "Please kill me now. This is too much," he begged.

"We're never going to live this one down." The third one almost cried. "We're going to prison and we are going to be a laughing stock!"

Mai sighed deeply. "Guess we better tie them up," she said. "We gotta finish the job."

"Sure." Zuko grinned.

 


 

The earth kingdom soldier was gaping as Zuko and Mai rode into the garrison with all the Ostrich horses in tow and three thieves all tied up and laid across each their Ostrich horse.

Mai grinned as she leaned over her Khomodo-Rhino. "I believe that's fifteen gold pieces for the entire set. Five for each."

The earth kingdom soldier blinked then nodded as he gestured at one of the scribes to go fetch the paperwork.

Zuko himself jumped off his Khomodo-Rhino and headed towards the Ostrich-Horses as he started to look them over one by one until he gasped. "This is it! We found her!"

An earth Kingdom soldier blinked. "Pardon?"

"A gray spot on the neck!" Zuko beamed. "This Ostrich horse's name is Hai-Hai. She belongs to a farm half a day's travel away from here! I sort of promised the kid living there to get her back for him. Would you mind terribly if we take her back?"

"Sure." The earth kingdom soldier shrugged just as the scribe came with portraits of the wanted. Papers to sign that they had been handed over and a sack of gold that Mai was quick to snatch up and then counted all the coins before nodding satisfied.

The earth kingdom soldier looked at them then glanced at their steads. "You're riding… Khomodo-Rhinos." he observed. "Are you…" he looked up.

"Well… Just maybe we stole them from the fire nation." Mai smoothly explained.

Zuko couldn't help but smirk. Well, technically she wasn't lying at all.

"Ah I see. Makes sense." The earth kingdom soldier smiled. "You kids are quite talented. The earth kingdom army could use someone like you."

"Sorry. I don't think we would be very good at following orders." Mai replied and Zuko laughed.

 


 

In the afternoon Mai and Zuko neared the fame Zuko had spoken about. The Ostrich horse in tow calmly walking behind them.

Even before they got close to the house a little boy was screaming as he came running towards them with outstretched hands. "HAI-HAI!" he screamed completely ignoring Zuko and Mai and instead went directly for the Ostrich horse, embracing her long neck as he cried. "I missed you so muuuuch!" he cried with snot coming out of his nose.

Just then a very pregnant woman came out as she gasped. "I can't believe it. You actually found her."

Zuko beamed at the young mother. This was something that had been so awesome about his new life. He now got to help people. And the way people would be so happy when he did it. Zuko loved it.

"Thank you so much." The young mother gasped. "Jia has been looking after that Ostrich horse since the day she hatched. She truly is his… I'm afraid though. I… I can't really pay." she admitted. "I'm sorry I."

"It's alright we already got paid," Mai assured. "Though we wouldn't say no to a hot meal and a bed for the night."

And the young mother brightened up. "Of course! It would be a pleasure!" she said. "I was making Ox-horse stew! There will be more than enough for everyone!"

"That's awesome." Zuko beamed and Mai smiled.

 


 

That night. Zuko and Mai had beyond filled stomachs. Perhaps they had even been eating too much. Didn't matter. Food coma could be kind of nice when they were in it together.

And so they were laying on their backs in the big barn where beds made out hay had been made ready for them.

The two were just laying on their backs next to each other holding hands.

"I'm so glad I ran away with you." Zuko sighed deeply. "Best decision I ever made."

"And to think you said no at first." Mai grinned. "You could be circling the south pole right now instead of being here. Could you even imagine?"

Zuko shivered. "Yeaah. I think I had enough of snow, ice, and even more ice," he stated. "How does anyone even live there?"

"You thought the Avatar lived there." Mai reminded him.

Zuko rolled his eyes. "I get it. It was stupid. Can you let it go now?"

Mai smirked. "Well… You snapped out of it," she stated then turned to her side so she was looking at Zuko. A smirk on her lips. "Zuko," she whispered.

"yeah?" Zuko asked.

"Love you," Mai said.

Zuko smiled, a deep blush covering his face. "Love you too," he said.

And Mai sighed as she laid down on her back still holding Zuko's hand. Life was perfect. Nothing could ruin this!

 


 

The next morning Zuko and Mai were enjoying a bit of breakfast with the family from the farm before they would move on to the next city.

That was when a neighbor burst inside. "Have you heard it?! Heard the news? This is unbelievable! I can't believe it!"

The young mother looked up. "What is it?"

"All at once! All the spirit temples started to glow! All the monuments and shrines burst with spirit energy! It can only mean one thing."

At that Zuko looked up. Blinking confusedly. That sounded… Weird. What could that mean?

"THE AVATAR HAS RETURNED!" The young man shouted.

Zuko froze, his eyes widened. Mai froze as well and everyone was quiet. The entire room had just gone silent.

And then the silence was broken as Zuko dropped his spoon that fell down on the table in a clank.

Everyone turned to Zuko.

"The… The Avatar?" Zuko asked.

Mai swallowed. "Well, we don't know if it's actually the avatar."

"It must be!" The man shouted. "The bridge between the human and spirit world! That's why all the shrines that have been dormant for a hundred years are now acting up! They were all glowing!"

"But… The Avatar is." Zuko swallowed then he turned to Mai.

Mai turned her own head away.

"April." Zuko huffed.

Mai didn't reply. Ignoring her fake name… What else was she supposed to do? They couldn't exactly talk freely here.

However. Once they had ridden a decent distance away from the farm… It had to come.

"The… The Avatar." Zuko breathed. "You. You think he's really back?"

"I don't know Zuko." Mai pouted. "So a bunch of shrines and temples started to glow. That could mean anything."

"Could it really?" Zuko asked. "Glowing temples is not normal!"

"So what if he's back?" Mai asked. "Would you just throw away everything we fought for these months? For what?" she asked.

"Being allowed to go back to the fire nation?" Zuko suggested. "I still can't ever go back there! But… If I caught the Avatar. Then maybe the Firelord would also listen to me! The things I have learned, it could help people."

"And you think Fire Lord Ozai would listen to you?" Mai asked.

"If I caught the Avatar!" Zuko pointed out. "We're bounty hunters, aren't we? And the Avatar has to be the biggest bounty out there."

Mai quieted. She actually seemed to be thinking that one over.

"What is there to lose?" Zuko asked. "So the Avatar hid away at the pole for a hundred years leaving the world to rot. And now he's just strolling back into the world as if that's okay? He's an old crappy man who clearly never cared about the world. Just a coward so… If anyone is going to capture him. Why not us?" he asked. "Could you imagine if someone like General Zhao caught him and got all the glory for it?"

"Urgh I hate that man." Mai groaned.

Zuko looked at Mai and Mai sighed deeply.

"Fine," Mai said. "If we somehow manage to just stumble across the Avatar. I mean a bounty is a bounty," she said. "But don't let this take over alright? I know how you get when you're stubborn."

"Mai. Ever since we ran away together. I haven't been happier." Zuko assured. "And I know now that what the fire nation is doing is wrong. The fire nation is the aggressor. The earth kingdom is only defending. That's not honorable. Though… Maybe. If I could prove my worth. We could work to actually fix these things!" he said. "We could do… Something."

Mai sighed deeply as she closed her eyes. She knew Zuko had good intentions. He always had good intentions.

But Mai didn't feel too good about this. Their life had been so damn good! Why throw it away?

Chapter Text

The next couple of days it was business as usual. Or so it at least seemed. Mai and Zuko headed for the closest city. Just as planned.
They had more than enough money to rent a room and eat their fill of any food they wanted while checking out what bounties were on the table in this city.

Not a lot. There were some common criminals. A deserter from the army. And a blasphemer who had criticized the earth king in the open.

Turned out that the earth kingdom was also very strict when it came to even question the nobles and royalty of the land.

Rumors said it was way worse in the capital, Ba Sing Se. Mostly because out here where the villages were so spread out, the rule that anyone who shit talked the king was to be imprisoned was simply unenforceable.

But in a big city where the king lived. It could actually be enforced.

Also, soldiers and officers out here had bigger concerns than farmers questioning the earth king like…. Fire nation soldiers encroaching on their lands. Burning their farms and capturing earth benders.

After two days Mai and Zuko moved along to head for the next and bigger city where there were likely to be bigger bounties announced.

This time though they were getting very close to a fire stronghold. As usual, they started to ride a circle around it. Better to not get into trouble with the fire nation.

However this time… the circle wasn't as big as Mai would have liked. Zuko stayed awfully close and that night as Mai and Zuko were laying in their tent about to go to sleep. Zuko quietly sat up.

He glanced at Mai. Then reached down in his bag and pulled up a parchment he put on his own pillow and as quietly as possible. Moved towards the exit of the tent. He was just about to get outside as Mai's voice stopped him.

"And where do you think you're going?" Mai asked.

Zuko froze. Then he turned to see Mai with open eyes looking right at him.

"I erhm…" Zuko swallowed. "I just needed to pee. Go back to sleep."

At that Mai sat up as she kept looking at Zuko. "Since when did you need to leave a letter behind to pee?" he asked.

Zuko groaned deeply. "The letter is only in case I don't make it back before sunrise. I'm not leaving you."

Mai… Was not impressed. She glared at Zuko.

"I'm just…" Zuko tried. "Maybe that stronghold has some information about the Avatar!"

Mai was silent. Absolutely silent. "Are you serious?" she asked.

"I just want to know," Zuko said.

"Zuko. If you get caught and revealed. You will have been caught in an act of treason." Mai stated dryly. "Even if the Avatar really is back. How the hell is an act of treason even worth the information. Which might not even be there!"

"They won't catch me," Zuko said. "They won't even know I was ever there."

"It's not worth it! It's stupid." Mai informed.

"You don't have to come!" Zuko exclaimed. "In fact. That was the plan. You don't have to risk anything!"

"Oh for Agni's sake." Mai groaned. "You don't think losing you is a risk?" she asked. "If you got caught you think I would just be on my merry way? I thought you knew me better than that by now."

Zuko halted. Then looked down.

Mai groaned deeply. "Look. If you really need to go. I'm going with you." she said. "However. Think about this," she said. "This is a stupid idea! The punishment for treason in the fire nation is death! There might be no Avatar. And even if there is there might be no information in there anyway. It's high risk for potential no reward at all. It's fucking stupid!"

Zuko was silent. "I just…. I have to know." he swallowed. "I spend two and a half years. Searching every air temple and every inch of the south pole. I was convinced… He had to be there. The Avatar… Was I right after all?" he asked.

Mai closed her eyes as she sighed deeply. "I guess we'll be going then," she said. "But if the situation gets too tense. We leave. If I demand we leave you don't get a say. We just get out of there. Understood."

Zuko smiled a relieved smile, a blush creeping over his cheek. "I understand," he whispered. "Thank you."

Mai rolled her eyes. "You are damn lucky I love you this much you know."

"Heh." Zuko laughed embarrassed.

 


 

Now two figures, completely covered in black to let them blend in with the darkness were swiftly moving across the grounds. Avoiding any lights from the torches around the stronghold.

Mai glanced up at Zuko, except for a small slit for his eyes, he was covered in that black attire and she frowned. "If you decide to ever do this again. You need something else," she commented.

"What do you mean?" Zuko asked.

"Golden eyes are not very common. Not even in the fire nation. And your scar is still visible." Mai whispered. "How many people with golden eyes and a scar going over the left eye have you ever heard of?"

Zuko was silent. "I'll look for a mask then… Later," he said and they both ran the last stretch to reach the wall where they were now both pressed up against it while hearing footsteps above them and the light from a lantern slowly moving past. As soon it was gone Zuko grabbed the rough stone that made the wall and quickly scaled it, just as quickly followed by Mai until they were on top where they had a view of the courtyard and several guards walking back and forth.

Zuko pointed at the tower inside. He had already explained to Mai that the General's offices were usually on the top floor as a sign of their authority. That's where they needed to go and they moved forward. Hidden by the shadows and moving so quietly that even a guard hears them. They were dismissed as just being the wind until they were at the tower where they managed to find an open window to slip through.

Narrow stairs were tricky as they had to make sure no one else was on their way down or they would be caught. They waited at corners to see if anyone was there. At one point there was a good standing firm in front of a door and Zuko threw a stone the other way to make him turn around and they ran past him when he had his back turned.

Finally, they were at the top. And at a big very official looking door… Of course it was locked.

Mai found one of the needles she could use as throwing weapons and started to get to work on the lock. Soon it clicked open and they both hurried inside to close the door behind them.

Inside it was dark and Zuko turned on a small flame to light the room and then they went to work. Mai searched the shelves and Zuko went for the desk.

He didn't have to go far though. The very first letter that lay open on the desk and Zuko gasped. "Mai…" he whispered.

Mai turned. "So?" he asked.

"I was right…." Zuko whispered as he turned to her. "I was right! The Avatar came from the South Pole! And he's been flying on some sort of big cow or something. Others have described it as a big cloud he can ride on."

"A flying… Cow?" Mai asked.

Zuko was silent.

Mai sighed. "And we know this is the Avatar?"

Zuko nodded. "General Zhao confronted an air bender at Kyoshi Island. Mai… It's real."

Mai was silent. Absolutely silent. Then sighed deeply. "Fine. You win. The Avatar is out there. So what are you going to do with that information?"

"Capture him," Zuko said. "He's moving across the earth kingdom. It should be possible."

"And if you somehow manage to capture him. A master of all four elements. Then what are you going to do?" Mai asked. "Contain him by your lonesome until you reach the fire nation?" she asked. "Which, if I must remain you, is a group of islands located across the sea."

"I'll contact uncle. Uncle said he would always be there to help." Zuko said. "We can transport the Avatar on the ship."

"Contact him how?" Mai asked.

"I'll figure it out!" Zuko hissed. Just then the door handle started to move. Startled Zuko and Mai looked up. At once Zuko distinguished the flame and they both jumped away.

Just as the door opened and a high ranking official was standing there holding a lantern that illuminated the room. With narrowed eyes did he step inside and looked around the dark room. Then finally he sighed deeply. "I'm getting paranoid aren't I?" he asked and then finally turned around and left. Closing the door behind him and then a click proved it was locked too.

First as the footsteps had vanished did Mai and Zuko step forward from the shadows and then stood.

"That… Was too close." Zuko said.

Mai nodded. "Let's just get out of here." she sighed as she gestured at the window and Zuko nodded.

 


 

Miraculously they both made it back to the tent without any issues, just as the first rays of the sun started to emerge declaring it was soon dawn.

In the cold light, Mai was looking at Zuko.

"You admitted it's worth trying to hunt him just for the bounty," Zuko said.

Mai sighed. "Zuko. One thing is thieves and thugs. We can handle that. Easily. But a master of all four elements? Just the two of us?" she asked.

"He's over a hundred years old. We can take the old gasbag." Zuko stated.

At that Mai couldn't help but smirk. "I do like the confidence," she said then her smile faltered. "Zuko… I just don't want us to lose everything we have. We are free! From the fire nation. From our shitty parents. Why god back?" she asked. "I don't need glory or money or the fire nation I just need you," she said.

Zuko gasped. Then he swallowed. "Mai I…" he said. "It always felt like… Somehow. The Avatar and I are connected. It's hard to explain but… It always felt like destiny. I know it's weird but." he swallowed. "We've seen it out there. People are suffering. They are getting hurt. But what if we could stop it?" he asked. "All we're doing now is bringing back a few bags of grains or a stolen Ostrich horse. How does that help in the long run?"

Mai was looking away from Zuko.

"Mai…" Zuko swallowed. "I… I need you for this," he said as he took her hands and held them in his own. "You gave me the strength to finally admit to the truth. About what is going on. The strength to break free… I am not as strong as you. That's why I need you. So much." he gasped. "And I love you. I don't want you to go."

And Mai looked up with tears in her eyes. "I'm not going anywhere," she said. "Of course not."

"So… You're with me? We'll search for the Avatar?" Zuko asked.

And Mai sighed deeply. "I can't stop you," she said. "I couldn't stop you from helping those people. I couldn't stop you from getting that kid's Ostrich horse back for him. I couldn't stop you from going into that stronghold. I can't stop you." she said as she looked up at him. Then reached up a hand and finally touched his cheek, holding it. "So I'm going with you," she said.

Zuko let go of a breath and then smiled. "Thank you," he whispered. "Thank you," he said again and Mai leaned forward so now her forehead was resting against Zuko's.

"You are seriously lucky I love you this much," Mai whispered.

"I know." Zuko breathed as his forehead was resting against hers. "I love you too." Then they both looked up and then…. They kissed as the sun broke the surface of the horizon. Starting a new day.

Chapter Text

"The Avatar seems to be moving from the south and going slightly northeast," Zuko spoke as he was riding calmly alongside Mai. "It would lead him directly to Omashu. And if he's looking for a new place to hide. That would pretty much be it. And if he's not there, it's a good place to look for additional information."

Mai nodded. "And if for nothing else they should have some great bounties announced. I heard the king who rules that place is very generous."

"Right." Zuko nodded. "Finances and supplies are always good to have."

"And hotel rooms," Mai said. "Hotel rooms are nice."

Zuko smirked. "Good thing we are good at our job so we can afford it," he stated.

"I like room service." Mai shrugged. "I heard Omashu has some pretty great delicacies. There are these hard rock candies that ought to be to die for."

"I'll make sure to get you all the hard rock candies you want," Zuko assured. "And a room that has room service and a bathtub," he stated. "I'll warm the water for you."

Mai smirked. "Awesome."

 


 

Soon enough, the great city of Omashu appeared in the distance. It was built on a mountain top, looked to be almost carved from the mountain itself. From a distance, it looked cool. The closer you got, the more awe-inspiring it became.

"Some of the air temples were like this too!" Zuko pointed. "Like they had hired earth bender to just shape the stones and cave them out of the mountains!"

"You're not seeing anything like that in the fire nation." Mai had to admit. This was true, clearly the greatest architecture in the earth kingdom was built around the abilities of earth benders.

The fire nation had no earth benders, so they were more likely to use wood for even their greatest structures.

A long bridge in stone led Zuko and Mai up to the massive front gate in stone and two guards were standing in front.

"Halt! Who goes there?" The guard asked.

Zuko held up a hand. "Lee and April. We are bounty hunters," he said. "We came to see if there's any bounty to be had in this city."

The guard looked at them. Then at their steads.

"Cool right?" Mai asked. "We stole the Khomodo-Rhinos from the fire nation! They never even knew what happened!"

"Oh I heard of them!" The other guard said. "Raub from the Northern stronghold did send word of two bounty hunter teenagers riding Khomodo-Rhinos. They are apparently really good! And they are happy to help out farmers at a discount too."

That made the other soften up. "That's so nice. Lord knows people out there who don't have walls to protect them need all the help they can get. Welcome to Omashu kids!" he smiled and they both raised their hands and slowly the doors started to move as they earth bent.

Zuko smiled. Mai as well looked pretty excited and then the door opened up and what they saw… Was a city in total shambles. Bricks everywhere, broken houses, dust flying all around the place, and people sighing while picking up the rubble. 

"Sorry you can't see our city at our best." The guard sighed.

"What… happened?" Mai asked.

"We had a visit. From the Avatar!" Guard number two exclaimed. "It was awful! He completely vandalized our postal system!"

Zuko and Mai's eyes widened.

"He what?" Zuko asked.

"Then they arrested him and I thought that would be the end of it." The first guard grumbled. "But that didn't last! He did it again! And somehow pressured our king into joining him!"

Zuko and Mai were stunned just as another man came from the other side. "Are you talking about the Avatar?" he asked. "He's awful! He destroyed all my cabbages!"

"What?" Zuko asked.

"Look at this!" The man shouted gesturing at a broken wagon behind him. "That used to be a full supply of cabbages and it's gone! Transported ALL the way from Lu-Lian. Six days travel pulling my cart with an Ostrich Horse so I can sell the finest cabbages in all of the earth kingdom at the Omashu marked. And they are Gone! Gone I tell you!"

"I…. I'm really sorry about that." Zuko blinked rapidly. He was honestly stunned.

The first guard groaned. "I can't believe he tricked me into letting him in! He just pretended to be this kid's grandfather. And thirty minutes after he is wreaking havoc on our beloved city!"

"You are bounty hunters right?!" The Cabbage man asked. "Listen! If you capture the Avatar I will give you five hundred cabbages! That's a really good offer!"

Zuko was quiet. "That's okay." he finally said. "I think there are… Others who would be able to hand in." he coughed into his hand. "Better currency."

Mai nodded. "Sounds like the Avatar left though," she said.

The guard nodded. "He flew away on this big massive six-legged goat."

Zuko blinked. "I'm sorry?"

"It had a tail more like a platypus bear though." The second commented.

"But it had horns!" The first one exclaimed. "So it must be a goat!"

"Or a deer." The cabbage man pointed out.

Mai and Zuko was silent.

"So…" Mai commented. "A flying cow-goat-platypus-bear-deer." she commented leaning over her Khomodo Rhino as she looked at Zuko.

Zuko blinked. "Well…" he said. "Weirder things have happened. Right?"

Mai was quiet. Entirely quiet.

No not really… Right.

Chapter Text

Zuko was scratching his big mop of hair as he was sitting on the ground, crossed legs, and looking at the message they had managed to intercept by capturing a fire nation Warhawk that was delivering a message. "This doesn't make any sense," he stated.

"So what did the Avatar do now?" Mai asked.

"Orchestrated some sort of rebellion on a prison raft that was keeping earth benders locked up. Apparently, they totaled the entire thing and all the earth benders escaped." Zuko informed.

"But that's… Good. Right?" Mai asked.

"I mean I guess," Zuko said. "I just can't figure out what he's doing. He's been spotted in a lot of places. But they seem completely random." he pointed around at the map by his left. "If the timeline holds up he was here first. Then went here. Then went backward to get there! And then went here. Is he trying to shake any pursuers?"

Mai shrugged. "I mean it's working. We haven't caught up to him yet either."

"And wherever he goes there seem to be stories about chaos." Zuko scratched his hair again. "It seems to be both against fire nation and earth kingdom though. Doesn't look like he's on anyone's side."

"Well, he's an air nomad right? Who has been living among the water tribes? So neither earth kingdom nor fire nation. Checks out." Mai stated.

Zuko frowned as he crossed his arms. "It's funny you know…. I studied the Avatar. A lot. And he's supposed to be this symbol of balance. But he seems to be a complete agent of chaos! And why now of all times?!"

"Maybe he got bored," Mai said. "I mean the south pole is pretty boring right?"

"Boring doesn't even begin to describe it. The south pole sucks." Zuko said. "That still doesn't answer the question though. Why now and not before?!" he asked. "AND WHY GIANT KOI-FISH!" he shouted holding up a letter. "This Avatar doesn't make any sense!"

Mai looked at Zuko. "Maybe he's dying and wants some fun before he goes out?" she asked. "I mean he's literately over a hundred years old right?" she asked.

Zuko grunted as he rolled up the scroll. "It's the best explanation so far," he admitted. "So really he's just a selfish old man making trouble for everybody else! Cause he's bored! Starving earth kingdom farmers don't need this shit!"

"I actually agree with you," Mai said.

"You… You do?" Zuko asked as he looked up.

"Yeah. From what we've seen. He's acting like a total ass." Mai stated. "And I like taking down old men who think they can just get away with anything because of a title." she snorted. "I say we beat his ass."

And Zuko smiled. "Thank you."

"Don't need to thank me. I told you. I can't stand people who think they can just do any kind of shit because they are noble or the avatar or whatever." Mai rolled her eyes. "So let's give that old gasbag an ass whooping."

"Yeah let's!" Zuko grinned. "I can't wait till I get to hit that wrinkly old face!"

 


 

"THAT WAS GREAT GUYS!" A young boy yelled. Twelve years old, and his face was as smooth as a baby's butt with not a wrinkle in sight. Just a blue arrow tattoo on his smooth head.

He had just rushed all the way through an all natural water slide made by the nature and was joined by his two friends who laughed as they were splashing around in the water.

"Let's do it again!" Aang yelled as he jumped up in the air and then just flew up to get back on top.

Sokka shook his head. "Where's he getting all that energy from?" he asked.

"I don't know," Katara admitted. "Hopefully he'll be wearing himself out pretty soon," she commented just as Aang came sliding all the way down again and landed in the water in a big splash.

"You do know we need to make it to the north pole right?" Sokka asked. "We can't keep taking all these breaks."

"But Sokka," Aang complained. "What if we only get this one chance?"

"Perhaps the reason we only got one chance will be because we didn't make it to the north pole on time. You thought about that?" Sokka asked.

"oh don't worry. We'll make it. What's the rush?" Aang asked and Sokka shook his head. Then he looked at Katara.

"Kids," he commented.

"You're a kid." Katara pointed out and Sokka pouted.

Chapter Text

At this moment. Mai and Zuko were riding through one of the areas which were often hardest for them both to muster.

A place that had been a huge forest not too long again. But now everything was nothing but ashes. Mai glanced at Zuko who was just sitting there with a hung head.

It didn't really make sense that Zuko would feel guilty over something he didn't even do. But he was Zuko. So of course he did.

Also… Zuko was a fire bender. And this could only have been done by fire benders. So Mai could admit that she had no idea what Zuko was feeling and she had no right to judge him at this moment.

"Hey." Mai finally whispered. "You know if you want to talk about it. I'm here."

"What is there to say?" Zuko asked. "Burning down farmlands makes sense from a strategic perspective because it's about cutting off food supplies from the enemy army. But this? What good does this do?" he asked.

Mai was quiet.

"If we capture the Avatar." Zuko swallowed. "He will have to listen. He'll have no choice but to listen."

Mai looked down… It was true. In some ways Ozai would be forced to listen. He would not be able to just dismiss someone coming dragging with the actual avatar. It would be very bad optics but.. Ozai would undoubtedly try to subvert. And try finding a way to screw Zuko over.

Well… Maybe it would be able to open just a few eyes among fire nation officials.

Soon they found a town, and this town looked even worse than Omashu. It was completely destroyed. The gates were torn away, houses smashed into pieces, pillars broken in half. It was horrible.

Mai swallowed. "Fire nation?" she asked.

Zuko frowned. "Fire nation would have been more likely to just burn the place to the ground. I see no scorch marks. Just smashed up buildings."

The two looked at each other.

"The avatar." They both stated simultaneously.

Just then… A sound came. A big woosh. Zuko blinked as he looked up and so did Mai. And then, from behind the big main building came a massive white creature. Flying above them. Flying across the sky.

Mai and Zuko gaped.

"It… It's…" Mai gasped.

"By Agni!" Zuko gasped. "Nobody was right! It's a flying sheep!"

Mai frowned. "Are you sure?"

"Look at how big and fluffy it is!" Zuko exclaimed. "It's a sheep!"

Mai's frown only deepened.

"Let's go!" Zuko yelled. "THAT'S THE AVATAR! We finally found him! We can't let him get away!" he shouted as he turned the Khomodo-Rhino around and Mai did the same. They kicked each their stead and started galloping.

 


 

They kept riding. As fast as they could. But the big flying fluff of white fur didn't seem to be stopping and Zuko's eyes widened. "It's heading towards the ocean!" he gasped.

Mai hissed. Well that wasn't good. And finally, they were at the coast and the flying fluff just kept flying going right across the waters.

"FOLLOW THE COAST!" Zuko shouted. "We haven't lost him yet!"

Mai didn't even get time to respond. Zuko was already gone riding across the coast itself and she hissed as she kicked her own Khomodo-Rhino and followed Zuko, riding alongside the coast while the white thing was getting smaller and smaller.

Suddenly Zuko's eyes widened. "We are lucky! Fire nation harbor!" he shouted.

"What?" Mai asked as she saw true enough. A fire nation harbor with ships laying in lines. Big and small.

"We'll jump on a scout vessel!" Zuko shouted as he aimed for the smallest ships that weren't even inside of the actual harbor but lined up at the shore outside the wall.

Zuko made his Khomodo-Rhino jump so he was now on the ship and immediately headed for the furnace turning it on with a burst of flames just in time for Mai to board too.

"Zuko." Mai gasped.

"HEY! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" A soldier shouted and more came.

"It's to capture the Avatar. They'll understand." Zuko said as he grabbed a rope and pulled. And then suddenly they were off. To many shouts and some fireballs that Zuko jumped up and deflected.

Mai swallowed, they seemed to be on some sort of four or five men vessel. There was barely even any room with the Khomodo Rhinos. Zuko had called it a scout vessel, and he was already at the helm. At least it looked like he knew what he was doing. And as the steam got the engine running they headed out towards the sea.

Mai glanced up. The fluff thing was now just a spot on the horizon. But at least it wasn't gone, and they kept moving across the waves.

Well… Mai supposed. At least she got to have a rest now while Zuko was taking the helm.

They sailed through the sunset, and then the sunrise. When Mai woke up Zuko was still standing. He had not taken his eyes away from the target.

Then though Mai noticed… the air felt warmer. The climate had changed. She glanced down into the water which looked so blue and clear. Then she looked up to see an island that had barely become visible on the horizon.

Mai squinted her eyes to look at what looked like a tall mountain. Then her eyes widened. Smoke was coming out of it. It looked like a volcano! Which meant. "The fire nation." she breathed.

Zuko's face was in a sneer. "So that's his target. We got him now."

"ZUKO YOU CAN'T!" Mai shouted as she grabbed Zuko's tunic. "You can't go to the fire nation! You'll get arrested."

"Not if I have the avatar!" Zuko pointed out. "The rules are. If I have the Avatar I may return! So it's fine."

"You don't have the Avatar!" Mai shouted. "And can you imagine what Ozai will do to you if you're caught!?"

"I can do this Mai!" Zuko exclaimed. "I was right about the South Pole! No one believed me! You didn't believe me either! But I was right! So back off!"

Slap

A harsh slap had landed on Zuko's cheek. Hitting so hard it now left a sting and there was definitely going to be a handprint. Shocked Zuko turned to Mai to see tears in her eyes.

"Now you listen to me Zuko!" Mai hissed. "I went along with it when breaking into that stronghold! I followed you across the earth kingdom to look for the Avatar! I helped you intercept Warhawks for the messages. And I will help you capture the Avatar." she said. "But this is where I draw the line! You're not going into the fire nation when you don't even have the Avatar! We'll get him later!" she hissed.

Wide-eyed Zuko looked at Mai just as a long line of big gray ships appeared too in front and Zuko looked up. "Oh fuck!" They both ducked down. 

For a while they were silent and then slowly stood up again. 

"Fire nation vessels." Zuko gasped. "THEY ARE FOLLOWING THE AVATAR TOO! Mai!" he turned to her. Then halted, stunned by her stern eyes.

"Zuko… I'll follow you across the earth kingdom. I'll follow you to the air temples and the poles. We are not going to the fire nation!" Mai stated.

"But… What if they capture him. Then… Our opportunity will be gone." Zuko whispered.

"THERE ARE FIRE NATIONS SOLDIERS RIGHT THERE!" Mai shouted. "If they catch you! What Ozai already did to you will seem like utter child's play! You'll be lucky to be granted a swift execution. And Zuko… I am not going to be standing around just to see that happen to you." she swallowed with tears in her eyes. "The first time he hurt you. It broke me… Don't ask me to go through that again." she asked as she held up a hand and held his cheek. "Please Zuko," she asked.

Wide-eyed Zuko looked at Mai. He was too shocked for words and then he lowered his head. "You're right… I'm sorry," he whispered as he waved a hand and at once the flames in the engine went out and the boat lost speed. "I wasn't thinking I just." he grabbed his forehead. "How else do we stop all of it?" he asked. "That forest… It was gone. And I just."

Mai exhaled. "I know I can't stop you from trying," she said. "You're stubborn as hell," she said. "So… One day. You'll probably figure a way." she smiled weakly and Zuko glanced up meeting her eyes.

"You never told me that…" Zuko swallowed. "When I was banished."

Mai looked down, her hand falling away from Zuko's face. "I was there…" she admitted. "In the audience. Azula had secured seats for me and Ty Lee but didn't tell us what it was about. She said it was two noblemen and we should be happy we got to see a real Agni Kai… And then it was you… And Ozai… And it was just the most horrible thing." her eyes watered. "It was so evil." her eyes were filled with tears. "I wanted to scream at you to run. But you didn't do it… You just kept staying on your knees and I… And I…" she sniffed. "And all that fire. The smell… It was horrible. And your scream." she swallowed. "Then they dragged you away from the stage and I never saw you again." her voice broke. "I thought I was never going to see you again. He could have killed you! He tried to kill you!" she looked up and she dove into his chest. "So for Agni's sake! Just be more careful you fucking ass."

Zuko swallowed and then he held Mai in an embrace. "I'm sorry… I'm really sorry," he whispered. "I didn't think I."

"That's your god damn problem isn't it?" Mai asked as she swallowed. "You're not stupid! Far from it. But you don't think!"

Zuko nodded and then slowly he sat down, while still holding Mai. Gently he held her as he stroked her hair.

And then they sat there in quiet. Mai was allowed to cry until she was done and Zuko felt so guilty.

Mai was always the strong one. And it was so easy to forget she would be hurting too. And Zuko had felt confused that Mai wouldn't always agree with him. Didn't she want him to succeed?

Now he truly felt stupid… So damn stupid. She was really scared he would get hurt… Uncle was like that too. Wasn't he?

Suddenly… a massive boom sounded from above and Zuko's eyes widened as he looked up to see magma erupt from the big volcano. "Holy Agni!" he gasped as Mai looked up as well and magma was just bursting from the volcano itself. Then it started to crack, boulders were falling down and the entire thing seemed to be both sinking and collapsing while the lava was everywhere.

Zuko and Mai were both gaping.

"Is he… Destroying the entire island?" Zuko asked.

"Is that the power of the avatar?" Mai asked and Zuko swallowed. Mai's eyes watered. "Thank Agni you're not over there." she gasped.

And Zuko swallowed as he pulled Mai into a protective embrace. As if to assure her that he really wasn't. And then suddenly, the big white fluff thing came zooming away from the magma itself and Zuko's eyes widened as he looked up and the sheep was right above him.

Zuko gasped… And then it had passed by them.

"Zuko!" Mai shouted.

Zuko blinked, then turned his head only to jump in shock.

There was a guy sitting in the boat with them. He looked old and tall. With a long white beard and hair. He was wearing fire nation robes in a old design and a topknot that had some sort of golden hairpiece in it and Zuko's eyes widened.

He had seen illustrations of this man in his endless research. But… How? "Avatar Roku?" he asked.

The old man nodded shortly, then offered Zuko a slight smile and a wave. And then he vanished. Into thin air. Like he had never even been there.

Mai and Zuko were both silent. They were stunned.

"What… What in the name of Agni was that?" Zuko asked. "Mai did you see that?" he asked.

Mai nodded as she swallowed. "He seemed to be… Looking at you Zuko."

"Me?" Zuko asked. "But why me?" he asked. "And he was… smiling?"

Wide-eyed Zuko and Mai wide-eyed looked at each other.

"So erh…" Zuko swallowed. "Let's… Follow the sheep then," he said. "Looks like they are heading back towards the earth kingdom."

"Okay… Sure." Mai swallowed and Zuko started the engine again.

 


 

On one of the bigger ships a General was frowning as he was looking towards the small vessel, and two small figures in green.

Sadly they were too far away to make out any features. But the fact two people wearing green seemed to be using fire nation military transportation was troublesome. And then his frown deepened even more.

"General Zhao?" The Captain of the ship asked.

"Find information about two earth kingdom people riding Khomodo Rhinos." Zhao asked. "Most likely very young. I will aim late teens or early twenties. I want to know everything about them. You need fire bending to get a steam engine up and running that fast. They might be deserters. And you know how we deal with deserters.

The Captain nodded. "Yes General."

Chapter Text

Zuko sighed deeply. They had lost sight of the Avatar for now. But at least they had a good idea what way he was probably headed.

Also. Zuko and Mai needed rest and supplies. They had been riding in a mad dash on their Khomodo Rhinos for a long time before getting on that scout vessel. And while being on that Zuko hadn't been able to sleep either as he had to steer and keep the engine running.

It was curious Mai noted. How earth kingdom architecture was built around the abilities of earth benders.

And fire nation machinery was built around the abilities of fire benders… It made Mai a little curious about what air nation and the water tribes might make that was unique to them.

Zuko probably had a much better idea since he had studied air nomads and been at the south pole… But Mai refrained from asking. He looked dead on his feet as it was.

They pulled up the scout vessel close to a harbor, then tied it to their khomodo Rhinos so they could pull it all the way up on shore where fire nation soldiers wouldn't be able to see it from the sea and thus were less likely to pursue them from the ground.

Those massive ships that had sailed past them were quite worrying. And they had been lucky that the smaller lighter scout vessel was faster than the huge massive ships so at least they could lose them.

Then they walked to the harbor that turned out to be a neutral harbor for trade.

There were shops and stands everywhere selling items from both the fire nation and the earth kingdom. Salesmen from all over the world would come to harbors like this to exchange goods and travel back to their more specialized shops in different cities.

The port was neutral and thus free from either fire nation or earth kingdom control which also meant a lot of… Less savory people were all around the place. Trying to sell items they might have acquired through less than honest means.

If Mai and Zuko had been less focused on their mission they might have found the marked place fascinating. There didn't seem to be the thing you couldn't get here.

Music instruments, board games, old air nomad artifacts, water tribe weapons, fire nation rugs, earth kingdom art pieces. Everything.

Suddenly Mai poked Zuko on the shoulder. "Lee."

"Yeah?" Zuko asked.

"Isn't that your ship?" Mai asked as she pointed.

Zuko blinked as he looked in the direction Mai was pointing and saw a big iron ship that seemed to be dented all over and falling apart because of rust. Zuko gaped. "It totally is! That's the Wani!" he exclaimed. "What… What is it doing here?" he asked wide-eyed.

Mai shrugged. "Maybe they sold it," she said. "Or maybe your uncle is on a shopping spree in town. You think he's here?"

Zuko silenced. "I don't know," he said. "But… If he is it's probably better we stay clear from him. It would make things… complicated. If we were to meet here."

"Yeah." Mai nodded. "It would." she agreed then she blinked. Then she smirked. "Hey Lee. I think I smell some fire flakes."

Zuko's eyes widened. "Fire flakes?" he asked and inhaled to take a whiff. "You're right! That's totally fire flakes."

The two looked at each other and then smirked. This market had everything from all nations it seemed. So that meant… Fire nation food. With actual spices in them. The best food! And they both ran towards the scent eager for a feast.

 


 

Happily, Mai and Zuko were seated at one of the food stands, the one that sold fire flakes and various bowls of noodles all seasoned how noodles were supposed to be seasoned.

"So when did you kids leave the fire nation?" The man at the stand asked.

Zuko coughed. "What?!" he asked.

The man looked at him. "Only people from the fire nation will buy my wares. Everyone else are wimps," he said then smirked. "Don't worry about it. I got a number of regulars." he laughed. "You're not the only ones who fled."

Zuko blushed deeply. "Sorry," he whispered.

The man just chuckled. "If you don't want to be figured out. Don't eat spicy stuff like this out in the open. Like I said. Earth kingdom are total wimps! And Water tribes are not much better. They usually play dares with each other of who can eat most fire flakes and most give up after like… Five handfuls. It's pretty pathetic."

"So I guess you're from the fire nation too," Mai smirked.

"Guilty as charged." The owner laughed.

"But you're not loyal to Ozai or the military?" Zuko asked.

"Pff. No." The owner rolled his eyes. "What did the fire lord ever do for me?" he asked. "They tax the shit out of the people for the war affords. Take over our lands at a moment's notice. Demand that all the best and brightest of the young goes out there to lay down their life. And then when you fought with all you had. Gambled your life, destroyed your body in the service of the Fire lord, and is now dismissed. Then what are the thanks you get? Nothing! Absolutely nothing."

Zuko was silent as he looked at the man. "You were a soldier?" he asked.

"Well I was." The man shrugged. "Until." he put down his handkerchief, then suddenly grabbed a crutch standing behind him and then jumped until he was next to the desk. Revealing…. Only one leg.

Zuko was stunned silent.

"Impressive right?" The owner asked. "Got crushed by an earth bender so they had to take it off. And then I was dismissed. The fire nation army doesn't need any cripples. Then I was sent back to absolutely nothing. Who wants to hire a cripple? What woman will even touch this?" he asked padding at the lump that remained of his leg. "Not that I can blame the ladies. I could never provide for a lady friend or a family like this. Did I get any compensation? No! So finally I just said fuck it. And in a way, I am glad I lost the leg. Made me finally realize, those fire nation nobles don't have any shit to give. So I am better off just looking after myself and putting myself first."

Zuko swallowed then nodded.

"Looks like you got quite the story to tell yourself kid." The owner commented pointing at Zuko's face.

"Erhm." Zuko swallowed as he pulled down in his hair to cover his scar.

"He pissed off the wrong fire nation noble," Mai informed in a deep sigh. "Like you said. Those nobles don't give a shit about the peasantry. Or well.. The people they deem peasantry."

"Ain't that the truth?" The owner asked in a sigh. "Want a refill?" he asked.

"That's okay." Zuko blushed. "We kind of need to safe our money."

"Refill is on the house!" The owner proclaimed. "Still gotta pay for the first two bowls though. I still need to run a business."

Zuko and Mai blinked and then beamed.

"In that case!" Zuko grinned.

 


 

Maybe the refill had been a trick as it made Zuko and Mai feel almost obligated to buy two bags of fire flakes. But it didn't matter. It was nice with a little taste of home.

They were just about ready to see if they could find a place to rest as suddenly a group of pirates was running through the town screaming.

"GET THEM! THEY STOLE OUR SCROLL!"

"COME BACK HERE YOU WATER TRIBE THIEVES!"

"THE AVATAR STOLE OUR SCROLL! GET HIM!"

And Zuko halted… Mai just froze up as well and the screams sounded.

"CATCH THE AVATAR!"

Chapter Text

Seriously?! Zuko couldn't help but think as they rushed through the forest trying to catch up with the pirates.

Was there any low the Avatar wouldn't succumb to?! Vandalizing, destruction, and now common theft!

This avatar was a complete and utter menace! The sooner they took him down the better.

Then Zuko had to stop. "Where did they go?!" he asked.

Mai's eyes narrowed. "They can't have gone far."

And Zuko nodded as they both jumped up into the trees to have a better look around. Zuko gritted his teeth. Seemed like they had lost them.

Then, he closed his eyes and pressed a hand against his bad ear so he could listen and his eyes opened. "OVER THERE!" he shouted and jumped with Mai closely following.

That was until they found a group of adult men looking like they were completely dogpiling a boy wearing blue water tribe clothes.

The boy was screaming as he fell backward. "HELP MEE!" he yelled and Zuko hissed then he jumped down, grabbed his sword, and disarmed the first pirate. Mai followed kicking the next to the ground and working together in a flow quickly Zuko and Mai had managed to knock out all the pirates.

Zuko looked around to make sure there was no one left standing and then he sighed as he put his swords back into their sheath and turned to the boy who was wide-eyed looking at him.

"You all right?" Zuko asked.

The boy gaped, his blue eyes wide and he yelled. "That was so cool!" he exclaimed. "You just jumped out and was all like wush! And wash! And shing." he demonstrated. "Tui and La you guys are so cool!"

Mai smirked. "Yeah. We are," she said.

The boy grinned. "Thank you for the safe! I'm Sokka!" he beamed. "And you are?" he asked.

"Lee and April," Zuko informed.

"Woah! Your scar is so cool." Sokka gasped as he looked at Zuko.

Zuko was honestly confused. Many things he had heard over the last three years. But not… That. "Oh… Erhm. Thanks?" he asked confused.

"I bet there's an awesome story behind that!" Sokka gasped. "You got it in some sort of epic battle! Right?" he asked excitedly. "Against some evil fire nation person!"

"I… Guess you could say that." Zuko blinked.

"Well thank you again. I should go find my friends! They can't have gotten far!" Sokka grinned and was just about to turn around.

"Wait a second." Zuko stopped him and the boy blinked as he turned back.

"Yeah?" Sokka asked.

"You're… Water tribe. Right?" Zuko asked.

"Sure thing!" Sokka beamed. "Southern water tribe!" he grinned proudly.

Southern…. Zuko's eyes darkened. "Have you… Been traveling with the Avatar?" he asked.

"Wow! I guess we are starting to get sort of famous." Sokka grinned. "Absolutely! He's my friend!"

Zuko and Mai glanced at each other then back at Sokka.

"Your friend?" Zuko asked. "Would you say you're close friends?"

"Practically brothers at this point," Sokka smirked.

"So…. If you were to be caught. He would come for you." Zuko said.

"Of course he would," Sokka smirked. Looking beyond overconfident.

Zuko was quiet. So was Mai.

Sokka blinked. "Guys?" he asked. "Erhm… You okay?"

Then Zuko spoke. "Get him."

Sokka's eyes widened and then suddenly Zuko and Mai came running for him. Sokka screamed as he turned around and started to run. "KATARA! AAAAAAANG!"

It was no use though. Sokka wasn't getting far. Zuko and Mai were close behind him. Eventually, Sokka tried to turn around to throw something but it missed as Zuko ducked out of the way. Only for Sokka to smirk and then… Something hit Zuko in the neck.

"LEE!" Mai screamed as Zuko tumbled to the ground and Sokka caught his boomerang.

Only for Zuko to look up with a sneer on his face. "You'll pay for that."

"Oh oh." Sokka swallowed and then ran again. "HEEEEEEELP!" Only for Zuko to throw himself at Sokka and they both tumbled down the forest floor until at last Zuko had Sokka in an arm lock.

"Now then." Zuko grinned. "You say the Avatar will come for you. For your sake, I hope that's true."

Sokka's eyes widened. "You… You're after Aang? Why?" he asked.

Mai smirked as she stepped in front of Sokka. "We're bounty hunters," she informed smoothly.

"Oh this sucks!" Sokka exclaimed. "I thought you guys were cool!"

"We're cooler than you'll ever be," Mai commented in a bored tone.

"Pff. In your dreams." Sokka snorted as Zuko pulled Sokka up on his legs. "You may be kickass bounty hunters. But you'll never be water tribe cool!"

Zuko rolled his eyes. "You've been a pain in the butt to track down," he mumbled annoyed. "I just hope nothing else goes wrong," he muttered just as heavy footsteps came and Zuko's eyes widened. "That sounds like."

"Fire nation soldiers." Mai gasped.

"FUCK!" Zuko shouted as he just grabbed Sokka and threw them both down under a bush soon followed by Mai and then all three of them were laying below the bush in silence as they saw several pairs of fire nation soldier armored feet in front of them and stopping among the knocked out pirates.

"So…" A smooth voice sounded. "A fight happened here. Clearly. It does indeed seem like the Avatar ran this way. Just like they said."

There was a bit of silence.

"Continue. They can't have gotten far!" And the soldiers continued, first as they were gone did Zuko hiss.

"Zhao! Fucking Zhao of all people." Zuko gritted. "What is he doing here?!"

"Tracking the Avatar. Obviously." Mai commented.

And Zuko groaned. "Urgh! But why did it have to be him!"

"You know Zhao?" Sokka suddenly asked from underneath Zuko.

Zuko hissed.

"Hey! I'm just saying." Sokka said. "You seem to hate Zhao. I hate Zhao. We should be friends. So… Let me go?"

"No!" Zuko hissed back at him.

"Aww. Come on!" Sokka complained.

"Do you ever shut up?" Zuko asked in a hiss.

"Why would I do that? My voice is like the voice of an angel! My Gran-Gran says so!" Sokka stated.

"Your Gran-Gran is a liar," Zuko stated.

"HEY!"

Just then Mai pulled out a handkerchief and stuffed it into Sokka's mouth like a gag. "Geesh." she rolled her eyes.

Zuko exhaled deeply. "Thanks," he said.

"So… What now?" Mai asked.

"Assuming this guy isn't lying." Zuko hissed. "The Avatar will be coming for him. So we just have to keep guard over him… And avoid Zhao at all cost."

"Right." Mai sighed. Then looked at Zuko while frowning.

"What?" Zuko asked.

"Well we are right next to a market," Mai commented. "Maybe we should invest in a mask or something."

Zuko smirked. "You are the smart one," he remarked then leaned over and kissed Mai on the cheek making Sokka groan deeply in seeming disgust.

Chapter Text

Zuko's finger brushed over a blue mask in his hand. It was blue and had a grinning face with white lines making it look like a demon.

They decided to just quickly grab a mask, a stand had multiple theater masks of all kinds, and when Zuko saw it…. He just couldn't stop himself.

Mai had lifted an eyebrow but didn't say anything making Zuko blush… She knew.

Ursa… Zuko's mother. Had had masks exactly like this one in her room. Masks that were traditional for performing the play love among dragons.

Ursa would read out loud her scrolls for Zuko and Azula. And afterward, Zuko and Azula would play out scenes from the play.

Azula would always play the dragon emperor and put on the mask that belonged to that role… And Zuko would always be the dark water spirit.

Ursa was the dragon empress. Always… They never swapped around. Never changed. But that had been okay. Because just for a tiny little while. As Azula pretending to be the dragon emperor was defending the dragon empress against the evil dark water spirit… They were happy.

Without a word, Zuko slipped the mask into his own bag and then heard an annoyed grunt from their prisoner who clearly looked like he had something to say.

Too bad. Their water tribe prisoner was firmly tied up with his hands behind his back and a gag in his mouth.

Proving that this was a lawless port, no one was even batting an eyelid over it. No one wanted to get dragged into whatever was going on so it was just ignored that they were literately dragging around on a tied up prisoner.

"Now we got that out of the way." Mai finally said. "How do we get the Avatar's attention?"

Zuko frowned. "The issue is that we don't want Zhao's attention. At all," he said. "If it wasn't for Zhao it would be easy just to hang up a public note." he frowned.

"Yeah." Mai sighed. "And we don't want this to last for too long. Prisoners are hard work. You have to feed them, and bath them, and make sure they get enough sleep." she rolled her eyes.

"Do you want to put him on a leash and take him for a walk?" Zuko asked and Mai smirked amused.

"Well." Mai pursed her lips. "I could give him treats," she said and Zuko lifted an eyebrow. "Feed them to him by hand."

"Are you trying to make me jealous?" Zuko asked.

"Maybe." Mai teased and Zuko smirked while Sokka let out a deep groan.

Just then a group of beat up and very annoyed looking pirates was walking down the street, immediately Zuko grabbed Zuko and pulled him behind the mask stand so they could hide. Mai followed them into hiding and they glanced out to see the very angry looking pirates.

Zuko glanced towards them and then frowned.

"What are you thinking?" Mai asked.

"I think. I know the answer to our problem." Zuko whispered. "Keep an eye on our prisoner," he asked and Mai nodded then Zuko jumped out to stand in front of the pirates.

"YOU!" The man in front, the captain shouted. And then they all pulled out their swords.

Zuko lifted an eyebrow. "My partner and I beat you up once. We can do it again," he said. "I came to offer a deal. A truce," he said.

The captain's eyes narrowed, but he lowered his sword slightly. "What could you possibly have to offer?" he asked.

Zuko smirked. "The Avatar stole some sort of scroll from you. Correct?" he asked. "I am not at all interested in that scroll. I just want the Avatar," he said. "And without those fire nation soldiers getting in the way."

The captain was silent, then frowned. But he was listening.

"The water tribe boy you chased. The Avatar's friend… I got him." Zuko smirked. "And he said that he and the Avatar are practically brothers. He said the Avatar would come for him. So listen." he said. "The Avatar will probably come back here to look for him. When the avatar gets here, you tell the Avatar where he needs to pick up his water tribe friend. At a location I give you. There we will set up a trap. Me, my partner, and some of your men will be waiting. Then as the Avatar comes we'll work together to take him down! I get the avatar, you get the scroll. Deal?" he asked.

The Captain's eyes squinted. "How do I know you have the Water tribe boy?" he asked.

"Yo April," Zuko called and then Mai came out. Holding Sokka right in front of her clearly showing him all tied up and the Captain smirked.

"You got yourself a deal kid. We both get what we want." The Captain nodded offering Zuko a hand and Zuko grinned as he grabbed it. Shaking firmly. "Now where do you wish to put up this ambush? I assume a place where the fire nation will be the least likely to interfere."

"Yes," Zuko said. "We need to be away from the Shore! General Zhao is a fleet General. His arena is the seas, not land."

The Captain frowned. "You seem to know an awful lot about this Zhao." he pointed out.

"We had run ins in the past," Zuko informed. "The guy is a pain in the ass."

That obviously seemed to be the right thing to say as the Captain smirked. "Isn't that how it is with all those damn fire nation soldiers. Nobody wants them here and yet they keep coming."

Zuko shrugged. "So… I think we both want this over and done with sooner rather than later," he commented and the Captain nodded.

 


 

Zuko sighed deeply. He had just finished tying the water tribe boy up to a tree so the boy couldn't move.

Sokka was grunting and hissing annoyed and finally, Zuko exhaled deeply as he removed the gag making Sokka spit and hawk.

"Urgh! Yuck! Why did you guys have to do that?" Sokka asked. "That tasted like old socks!"

"I would advice you to shut up or we'll just put it back in," Mai commented while the pirates around them all snickered.

Zuko sighed deeply. "Are you thirsty?" he asked Sokka.

Sokka blinked. "What?" he asked.

"I asked if you need some water," Zuko muttered annoyed. "We're not animals out here."

"Oh," Sokka replied looking honestly surprised. "I mean… Yes I would like some water," he said and Zuko nodded as he removed a bottle from his bag.

"Just a heads up," Zuko muttered. "If you spit this back into my face. I will be putting the gag back in."

Sokka's face scrunched and then Zuko put the bottle to Sokka's lips allowing him to drink, and then Zuko removed the bottle while Sokka swallowed.

"Thanks," Sokka replied honestly and Zuko nodded as he put the cork back in his bottle and put it back in the bag. Then sat down with his bag to Sokka

"So errh." Sokka hesitated. "You don't seem too big fans of the fire nation. So why in the name of Tui and La would you want to stop the Avatar?" he asked.

"We were offered a bounty of five hundred cabbages for all of the destruction caused in Omashu," Zuko informed.

Sokka blinked. "You would go through all that trouble.. For cabbages?" he asked.

Zuko rolled his eyes. "No. But I am just saying there are a lot of earth kingdom people who have been hurt too since the Avatar reappeared. Destroyed houses, lands. Even temples." he stated. "Isn't it right you just destroyed the holy Avatar temple of the fire nation a mere three days ago?"

"Ooooooh." Sokka realized. "Erhm… It's not what it sounds like," he said.

Zuko turned his head and looked up at Sokka. "So it wasn't the Avatar just utterly destroying that entire temple and probably killing every single fire sage living there? Fire sages who are supposed to be political neutrals."

"Eerrhm.. Well." Sokka tried. "In our defense. They didn't die! Zhao had already arrested them and put them on his ship at that point! And the fire sages had abandoned their oath in favor of the fire lord, pretty much making a mockery out of their own temple." he said. "So." he shrugged. "Listen man you got it wrong! The Avatar is here to restore balance to the world! It's all good."

Zuko frowned. "How is upsetting all the Unagi's so they start attacking fishing boats helping restore balance to the world?" he asked.

Sokka groaned. "I told Aang not to do that!" he exclaimed. "But noooo. He wanted to ride the Unagi."

"Ride the…" Zuko halted. Trying to image a man over a hundred years old riding the massive sea serpent. "Okay… Why?" he asked.

Sokka rolled his eyes. "Because he thought it would be fun."

Zuko was silent. "The Avatar is insane isn't he?" he asked.

"Njah just immature." Sokka shrugged.

Just then, suddenly, a long whip of water came from the forest and smacked Zuko over the arm. "AUW!" he shouted.

"Tui La I did it! Aang I did it!" A girl shouted as she ran out with water in front of her. "I made a water whip! Now let my brother go!" the girl demanded.

"KATARA!" Sokka shouted.

Zuko sneered. "Where's the Avatar?" he asked. "Give us the scroll and the avatar! Then you can have your brother!"

The girl hissed.

"I'M RIGHT HERE!" A young voice sounded from behind and Zuko's eyes widened as suddenly a great wush of wind knocked him off his feet. Mai was quick to react, throwing several knives at the menace wearing yellow coming towards them.

But then he swung his staff creating a whirlwind that send the knives back and Mai's eyes widened.

But it gave Zuko enough time to jump back up on his feet, grab his sword and run forward with his sword only for those swords to be blocked by a staff and Zuko found himself face to face with a young boy.

A boy who had yet to even hit puberty, there was a blue tattoo on his forehead, and big grey eyes were wide-eyed looking at Zuko as the boy gaped.

Zuko was shocked, his mouth open and then the boy pushed him back with a gust of wind that made Zuko take a backward summersault to land on his legs again and he gaped. Then he pointed a sword at the boy. "You're the Avatar?!" he asked.

The boy smiled sheepishly. "Yeah… Weird huh?"

"But… But…" Zuko stammered. "You're supposed to be like a hundred years old!"

"A hundred and twelve actually." The boy grinned. "I was frozen in an iceberg for a hundred years. It was crazy! I just… Lost conscious. And next thing I know it's a hundred years later. Do you know how weird that is?" he asked.

"So…" Zuko halted. "You're twelve."

The boy grinned showing all of his shining white teeth.

"Agni that explains so much," Zuko muttered to himself just as he realized. "HEY!" he shouted as he realized the girl had snuck herself towards her brother with a knife in her hand to free him. "HANDS OFF THE PRISONER!"

And Mai ran over there and grabbed Katara pulling her back as Katara hissed and wriggled.

"Katara!" The Avatar gasped then turned to Zuko. "Let her go!" he demanded.

Zuko's eyes narrowed. "There's the avatar and he's twelve. He's ours now," he stated and all the pirates grinned as the Avatar's eyes widened.

And then they came. The Avatar screamed as he jumped and swung his staff, but they were too many and finally, Zuko had grabbed him from behind and he grinned. "Got you," he stated.

"And I got the scroll." Mai grinned as she held up a scroll with her free hand while still holding the girl down with the other.

"HEY! Give that back!" The water tribe girl shouted. "It's mine!"

"Don't lie. We know you stole this." Mai stated and then threw it to the pirates. "Here you go. Our deal is done."

"Wait a second." Sokka blinked. "You guys are getting the scroll and you're letting these two get the avatar."

The pirates blinked. "What do you mean?" one asked.

"Well just saying… That scroll is worth what? Five golds was it? That's the avatar. I think the Fire nation bounty for him right now is like… 200 golds. But I think they are willing to pay WAY more than that. Like... Palaces filled with gold! And those two self-proclaimed bounty hunters want it all for themselves?" he asked. "Tsk, tsk." he shook his head

The pirates narrowed their eyes. "Give us the avatar."

Zuko hissed as he stood back. "We had a deal," he said.

"The deal is off." The pirate stated and Zuko's eyes widened. And then the first Pirate attacked which forced Zuko to let go of the Avatar.

That set the Avatar free and he yelled as he attacked Mai while Zuko was occupied forcing her to let go of the water tribe girl.

It was chaos… Absolute chaos.

"APRIL! FOCUS ON THE AVATAR!" Zuko roared as he tried to avoid all of the blades and knives and then suddenly a big burst of flames came as well while a pirate screamed.

"FIRE NATIOOOOON!"

"Shit!" Zuko hissed as he looked around only for Mai to grab the mask in his bag and place it over his face.

The next thing they knew there were all surrounded by fire nation and then of course…. Zhao…. Zhao of all people stepped forward. "What have we here?" he asked. "Pirates… The Avatar and." his eyes landed on Zuko and Mai. Zuko who was now wearing a mask. "Bounty hunters. Lee and April I believe," he commented. "You were near fire nation waters just three days ago. Weren't you?" he asked. "And the last couple of months you have caused much trouble for the fire nation.." he frowned. "Wearing a mask I see." then he smirked. "Now why would anyone do that?"

Zuko's eyes widened and then suddenly. The Avatar with all the force he had slammed air into the ground making a giant cloud of dust spread out blinding everyone.

"RUUUUUUN!" The Avatar screamed. Probably aimed at his friends, but it could might as well have been Zuko and Mai as Mai just grabbed Zuko's hand and they ran.

They ran as fast as they could, back towards the market place and as they were far enough away from the soldiers Zuko tore off his mask.

"Zuko?!" Mai gasped. "I think Zhao figured it out. What do we do?!"

"WE GO TO THE WANI!" Zuko shouted and Mai nodded as they ran until they reached harbor and the Wani placed at the harbor. Zuko gasped for breath. "Sorry you can't come. I'll meet you at the place we had noodles and fire flakes," he stated. Then Zuko stepped backward for a running start, and then he ran as fast as he could until he made an impressive leap and managed the grab the side of the ship, crawling up until he reached an open window crawling inside.

Inside Zuko widely looked around quickly figuring out where he was before he ran down towards his own cabin praying it hadn't changed. As Zuko tore open the door he gasped in relief. It all looked completely untouched and Zuko rushed to the chest pulling out familiar tunics and armors before removing the earth kingdom clothes and replacing it with armor.

Finally, Zuko grabbed his hair only to realize it was too short for a phoenix tale.. Topknot. He had to put it into a topknot! And Zuko did just that before he ran for the deck.

Just in time to hear a familiar voice. "I demand to see Prince Zuko."

"Now now." Iroh's voice sounded. "I told you. The Prince is currently indisposed."

"Five months ago you stopped circling the south pole. Five months ago a bounty hunter named Lee. With a scar covering the left side of his face appeared. Care to explain that?" Zhao asked.

"What a coincidence," Iroh said calmly. "I assure you though. Zuko has been with me."

"Is that so?" Zhao asked.

And at that moment Zuko slammed open the door. "What is going on here?!" he demanded in a shout.

Startled both Zhao and Iroh turned towards him, both their eyes wide in surprise.

Iroh was the first one to recover as he smiled. "Ah. Zuko. Are you feeling better? That was quite a cold you had." he said.

Zuko blinked then stood up. "Oh! Yes! I am feeling much better!" he stated. "The tea you gave me really helped!"

"I'm glad." Iroh smiled then turned to Zhao. "See. Prince Zuko has been here. Sleeping off his cold."

Zhao's eyes narrowed then he barged. "Lieutenant!" he shouted at Jee. "When did Prince Zuko arrive on the ship?"

Jee stood silent for a moment. Zuko's eyes widened. And then. Jee shrugged

"He never left the ship sir," Jee informed. "He's been sleeping off a bad cold while our men have been looking for the Avatar." and everyone around them nodded making Zuko's eyes widen and Zhao sneered. But then managed to school himself back into a stern more neutral facade.

Finally Zhao bowed. "I apologize for my intrusion. General Iroh." he glared at Zuko. "Prince Zuko," he stated, and finally… Finally, he left. Making Zuko exhale deeply relieved.

Barely had Zuko managed to relax though before he was assaulted by a crushing hug nearly knocking Zuko over.

"Woah! Uncle!" Zuko shouted.

"What a surprise!" Iroh beamed as he let go. Only so he could look up at Zuko. "You look well Prince Zuko!" he beamed. "Look at that. Your skin is glowing." he grinned grabbing Zuko's cheek to pinch it.

"Auw," Zuko hissed and Jee chuckled and Iroh let go.

Zuko groaned as he rubbed his sore cheek. "Uncle I…" he sighed. "Sorry I can't stay. Mai is waiting for me."

"Of course. I assume you only snuck in here to." Iroh coughed into his hand. "Shake off suspicion… Lee."

Zuko blushed as he looked down.

"I do so wish you would stay to drink a cup of tea with me at least," Iroh said. "I missed you."

Zuko looked up. A little shyly. "I missed you too," he said and Iroh gasped. "Listen. I just need to go check on Mai and then… I'll come back and drink a cup of tea with you okay?" he asked.

Iroh beamed. "I'll be looking forward to it! You can bring Lady Mai too! I would love to see her."

Zuko smiled shyly. "Sure," he said. "I just… I'm going to go change…. Again." he said pointing over his shoulder. "And find Mai."

Iroh nodded. "Of course." and Zuko turned to head all the way back to his cabin to grab his earth kingdom clothes. Then sighed deeply… The Avatar had slipped through his fingers.

But Zuko had learned something new now. The Avatar was twelve, and he was traveling with two water tribe kids!

Actually knowing this. Capturing him should be much easier now!

Chapter Text

In the end. Zuko decided to merely drop the armor and go back to shore in a gray tunic. Something which could be considered either earth kingdom or fire nation. You wouldn't be able to tell just looking at him.

This way if the soldiers saw him, they wouldn't have reason to question it. And neither would anyone from the earth kingdom.

Mai was waiting for Zuko at their agreed upon place and by the sight of him, Mai just rushed right over and embraced Zuko tightly as she gasped in relief. "You made it!" she gasped.

"Barely." Zuko breathed deeply as he returned the embrace. "You were right. Zhao had figured it out. He came straight to the ship. Wanting to prove I wasn't there. But well I managed to get there before him and… Everyone stood up for me." he gasped as he let go. "They… They all lied for my sake. To… To protect me."

Mai smiled lightly. "Surely you can't be that surprised can you?"

"Well…" Zuko looked away. "When we sailed together I wasn't really the best commander." he swallowed

"Hey," Mai smirked touching his cheek to get Zuko to face her again. "I doubt you were any worse than Zhao."

"That would be… Very hard," Zuko said then sighed. "We can't pursue the Avatar right now. Zhao will know. We have to wait until Zhao left."

Mai nodded.

"I told Uncle I would come to drink a cup of tea with him." Zuko then said. "And he encouraged me to take you too. So erh.."

Mai smiled lightly. "That sounds nice," she said and Zuko smiled as Mai grabbed Zuko's hand and they walked hand in hand back towards the Wani.

As Zuko and Mai were stepping onto the ship they were still holding hands and Iroh was just beaming while the crew was all smirking.

Zuko blushed deeply as he looked away and was just about to let go of Mai's hand, but she only tightened her own grip as she smiled. "General Iroh. It has been too long." she bowed his head for him.

"I can only agree." Iroh chuckled. "It seems though you have been keeping my nephew safe! For that, you will always have my gratitude."

"We're keeping each other safe," Mai stated.

"As it should be in a partnership." Iroh nodded. "Come. Sit down!" he invited. "I'll make a fresh pot of tea. Do you have any preferences Lady Mai?"

"I do enjoy rosehip." Mai nodded slightly.

"Ah! Delightful. Then I have just the thing!" Iroh just beamed. "And I have just been to the market today. What a wonderful coincidence. You wouldn't believe it, I found the most delightful red bean buns! Just like they make them in the fire nation. Can you believe it?" he beamed. "You simply must taste them."

Zuko shook his head. Trust uncle to priorities tea and sweets over anything else.

 


 

Soon after they were all seated on the deck around Iroh's little tea table.

Iroh was nothing but smiles as he poured for the both of them. He chatted a bit about absolute nonsense. Like the new songs they were singing for music night and a new recipe the chef had tried out.

It was kind of nice though, just completely mundane, and Zuko felt himself slowly relaxing.

"Now then. Enough about me." Iroh said. "What have you two been doing?" he asked.

"Well…" Zuko hesitated. "For a while. We made a living as bounty hunters. Traveling the earth kingdom it was…. Quite eye opening."

Iroh nodded seriously "Indeed." he said. "Some things just can't be explained. They have to be seen."

Zuko lowered his head. "Yeah… The people of the earth kingdom sure is a strong and resilient people," he said. "Even in the face of so much suffering they…" he halted

Iroh looked sympathetically at Zuko.

"And I don't think those from the fire nation are benefiting either," Zuko said glancing up carefully. "Our people are getting hurt out there too! Some even die. And… For what?"

The sadness in Iroh's eyes was clear and he nodded. "Yes. You are right Zuko," he said. "It took me fifty years to see it. So it does me good to see that you are not as slow as I was."

Zuko swallowed, honest a little stunned. "Oh."

Iroh was just sitting there with a warm smile on his face. But even so, it was clear to just feel the sadness and regret behind it and Zuko swallowed.

"I got a plan though!" Zuko said.

"Oh?" Iroh looked up.

"Listen Uncle! What if… I caught the Avatar?" Zuko asked.

Iroh blinked. "Caught the Avatar?" he asked.

"Yes!" Zuko said. "Ozai's public degree states that if I catch the Avatar my banishment will end and my title restored!" he said. "Everyone knows that's the degree so he cannot go back on it! Even trying to go back on it would be a mark of deep dishonor and the fire nation wouldn't stand for it! It would force him to listen! He'll simply have no choice!"

"Well… Erhm." Iroh hesitated. "There may be some truth to that but… That's a very risky business Zuko," he said. "Ozai would." he silenced, then looked up at Zuko. Fear in his eyes.

"Uncle. I want you to know. You can speak freely to me." Zuko said. "I know in the past you kept your silence. You went along with my delusion that my father still wanted me. And I know why you did it. I was prone to anger and rash decisions back then. I know you just tried to protect me." he said. "Like now. There is something you wish to say. So say it, uncle. Please." he asked.

Iroh exhaled deeply as he looked at Zuko. "He'll try to silence you Zuko. By any means necessary," he said. "If he can make it look like a tragic accident, or like someone else did the deed washing his own hands of it. It will happen," he said. "And it's not just Ozai you would need to be careful of. There are many high ranking officials who will wish to maintain the status quo at any cost. Many have committed great crimes doing the war and they will do anything not to be exposed. For some of them, it's not only about themselves. But their families, if they lose their status their family will lose their wealth. And they can act desperately." he said. "Zuko…. I can see your logic and that your intentions are good. But you are playing with fire. And you know better than anyone just how badly fire can burn…. Last time you were lucky to live."

Zuko swallowed. "I see what you're saying Uncle," he said. "But if I don't try…. Then who will?" he asked. "You yourself ones said. The way for evil men to win is for good men to do nothing," he said. "So how can I do nothing?"

Iroh exhaled deeply. "You know that whatever you need. I only want to help you," he said and Zuko nodded seriously. "I just implore you to… Think," he said.

And Mai smirked amused.

"Do you still have the Pai Sho tile I gave you?" Iroh asked.

"Huh?" Zuko blinked. "Oh, yeah. Sorry, it's in the pocket of my earth kingdom clothes," he said.

"As long as you have it. Keep it safe! Don't lose it!" Iroh demanded.

"Oh… Okay." Zuko blinked.

Just then a wush sounded from above and Zuko's eyes widened as he looked up to see the giant white sheep flying above them and over the ocean.

"The Avatar." Zuko gasped as he stood up. "They are flying north!" he pointed. Then halted. "Erhm… We…. Need a ship to pursue." he had to admit as the sheep was clearly flying above the waters.

Mai chuckled to herself and Zuko looked at her.

"What?" Zuko asked.

"Zuko. You have a ship." Mai pointed out.

"Oh." Zuko blinked. "Uncle erhm… Would you mind transporting us a little north?" he asked.

Iroh smirked amused. "This ship isn't mine. It's yours. And thus it's yours to command." he reminded Zuko.

"Oh right." Zuko blinked. "Huh… Well. Mai and I will go get our Khomodo-Rhinos and our supplies. You make ready to lift anchor."

"Oh that's wonderful." Iroh beamed as he clasped his hands together. "A few days back at sea! Oh and Zuko! Tonight is music night! You must join us!"

"That… No thank you." Zuko said. "I'll pass."

"But you used to be so wonderful on the sungi horn Zuko." Iroh beamed.

"I said no!" Zuko exclaimed and Mai laughed into her sleeve while Zuko pouted annoyed.

Chapter Text

Zuko did not join music night that night as the ship was sailing across the waves beneath the carpet of stars.

But that didn't stop Mai from observing.

She could conclude… That Iroh was not a good singer. But it didn't really matter, there was a sincerity to his words. Even if he was more speaking than actually singing while the yellow flames from the torches shone their warm light on the crew.

It reminded Mai of Zuko. The night he had been sitting with Tom-Tom on his lap and awkwardly tried to sing a song. Now Mai realized he had been singing the same way Iroh did.

Iroh stopped his song. Then smiled at Mai. "Do you have any wishes Lady Mai?" he asked. "Perhaps a song you would like to sing yourself?"

"I don't really sing," Mai admitted.

"That's a shame," Iroh said. "Singing is such a wonderful thing. For just a little amount of time, you live in the moment. The tones vibrate through you and nothing else but the music exists." he said. "Also it's a very good breathing exercise." he beamed and Mai smirked.

"Could you sing for me…" Mai hesitated. "How did it go." she frowned. "Something that is falling slow," she commented thoughtfully. "I believe the first sentence is leaves on the wind."

"Oh." Iroh blinked. "That's quite an old song. May I ask. From where do you know it?" he asked.

Mai smiled. "When Zuko and I were lost with Tom-Tom. Zuko sang the song to sing Tom-Tom to sleep."

And Iroh just softened up on the spot. "Did he now?" he asked.

"Yeah." Mai nodded.

"Very well then," Iroh said. "But on one condition. You must join me Lady Mai," he said. "Don't worry. It's an easy song to learn."

Mai smirked. "All right then."

"Come over here then." Iroh invited. "It is a true privilege to hear a woman's voice singing one of our oldest tunes. Nearly forgotten to the sands of time."

Mai smirked and then listened to Iroh as he taught her the song, and then slowly. Mai started to sing with Iroh. A little nervously at first, but then she got more into it.

Just as Mai was getting really into it did she notice the door going to the below chambers was open. And a pair of golden eyes were wide-eyed looking at her.

Mai pretended like she hadn't noticed but blushed as she put more power into the song and finally, the song ended, the crewmen were clapping and the door quietly closed while Mai blushed deeply looking down.

They played two more songs after that. Then they all packed up the instruments and most crewmen informed them they would be headed to bed. Mai though took a moment to stand on the deck and take in the wave and stars.

She wasn't quite as used to ships as the others. So for her, it was a different experience. One she hadn't really appreciated the last time she was on this ship.

Just then Iroh approached. "Is everything quite all right Lady Mai?" he asked.

"Yes. Thank you, General Iroh." Mai nodded. "And Mai is just fine."

"Ah. Then it's Iroh. I insist." Iroh said as he stood next to Mail. Also leaning towards the railing and looked up in the same direction as her. "Ah. What a beautiful night. It is indeed wise to take a moment to take in the beauty of it all." he smiled. "A shame Zuko won't join us."

"I think he might be sleeping right now. He had a rough couple of days." Mai smirked.

"I see." Iroh nodded.

Mai frowned. "Be honest. Do you think it's wise to pursue the Avatar?" she asked.

Iroh frowned as he stroked his beard. "I think… Whether we like it or not. Zuko and the Avatar's destinies are intertwined. To ask him to stop would be like asking the winds not to blow. It just won't happen." he said. "Truly… It was a miracle when you managed to stop him in that foolish quest."

Mai quieted. "You wanted it… You wanted for him to give it up."

Iroh sighed. "We both know it wasn't leading to anywhere good. Zuko wasn't being true to himself. He was gambling his own life for a fake dream. A dream that did him no good but only hurt him. The best thing that could possibly happen to him would be to get away from all of this."

"Yeah." Mai looked down. "Honestly when we made it back here the first time. I was terrified he was going to revert."

"Then… We felt the same." Iroh admitted in a small smile and Mai looked at Iroh. A little stunned. But then she smiled lightly. 

"He's a pain in the ass to love isn't he?" Mai asked.

"It has its challenges." Iroh agreed. "But by the end. I think it's worth it. He's lucky to have a young lady like you loving him."

Mai blushed looking down. "Thanks. He's lucky to have an uncle like you," she said. "I wish my father would care half as much for me as you care about him."

Iroh shook his head. "Your father might not have been good at showing it. But he cares," he assured and Mai glanced up. "However. It is your right to live your life the way you see fit," he stated. "I am grateful to you. You saved my boy. Now as I see him he's happy and true to who he is. Even if… Well. He might just still have a few things to learn." he grimaced. "Still… Beforehand I could only hope and pray that one day he would find his way." he sighed. "And now. He seems to be good on a good path." he smiled to himself. "I am very happy." 

"For how long would you have stayed?" Mai asked. "If it didn't happen so soon?"

"For as long as it would take," Iroh said. "Like I informed you… It took me fifty years to get where Zuko is now. I am no one to judge."

"Oh." Mai realized.

"I am not surprised though," Iroh commented as he looked to the sky. "That Zuko got it far sooner than I. He was always such an amazingly kind soul." he smiled lightly. "He would care for people. Even if he had never even met them." and he looked down. "I'm afraid this feature is what earned him Ozai's dismay. But to me… A boy like that. In a world like this. That's a miracle."

"I agree," Mai said and Iroh glanced towards her. And then they smiled.

An understanding had been made between the two. They both shared the same goal. Zuko's safety was their first priority.

They would both do anything to keep that idiot safe. And now, neither was alone with this burden.

Chapter Text

It was almost a little regretful that Zuko and Mai bid goodbye to the crew of the Wani as they were now at new Earth Kingdom shore.

Zuko and Mai could of course have elected to put on fire nation clothes and act in their official capacity of a fire nation military ship which had an exclusive mission of capturing the Avatar.

But Zuko by now had figured out that fire nation soldiers weren't welcome most places in the earth kingdom. And to get cooperation it would probably just be easier to remain undercover.

"We'll stay anchored here for the next six days," Iroh informed Zuko. "If you need another lift. You know where to find us. If you don't come I'll assume the two of you have moved on and we will be heading north ourselves. It does seem like the Avatar is generally heading north. If he's twelve and only knows air bending as you said. It does indeed seem very likely he would be heading for the north pole."

Zuko nodded seriously. "Thanks uncle," he said.

"I'll also try to keep tap on Zhao." Iroh then said. "He seems to also have made it his main mission to capture the Avatar and well… Zhao has been known for doing whatever is necessary to fulfill his mission. Even if." Iroh coughed into his hand. "You would consider such tactics less than honorable."

Zuko and Mai both nodded very seriously.

"Please be careful around that man," Iroh asked. "He is ruthless and uncompromising. His ambition is both his greatest strength and his weakness. It is what guides him and he will do anything to fulfill his own greatest potential. He would kill his best friend if that is what it took to achieve his ambition. Without any regret or hesitation. That is the kind of man he is."

Zuko swallowed. "And I am in his way," he whispered.

"Not just that." Iroh sighed. "You have something Zhao always wanted but can never have. Zhao was born a commoner in a peasant family and thus was always looked down upon. He desires to be as important as a royal… But he will never be a royal. The thing that was given to you by birth, he was denied. And while he always had to work hard to excel and stab his competition in the back to get ahead. The two of us were allowed to order him around just because of our parentage. In short... Our names are guaranteed to be recorded in the history books. Just because of who we are. His will not. Unless he manages to do something of true worth. And even then he is doomed to be overshadowed by the fire lord... And the Prince. Unless he changes that himself."

"I see." Zuko nodded. "So… That's why he would always belittle me when we met at sea." he swallowed. "And that's why he was so happy when I lost everything. He didn't think I deserved it in the first place." he halted. "He may even be right on that one."

"Right or not right," Iroh said. "It doesn't excuse his cruelty or disregard for life. So be careful. He will do anything so he won't lose to you."

Zuko nodded very seriously taking it all in and then finally grabbed the reins of his Khomodo-Rhino jumping up. Mai taking the reins of the other.

"I'll see you around Uncle," Zuko said.

"I'll be looking forward to it." Iroh smiled and finally, Zuko and Mai were headed off.

 


 

This part of the earth kingdom was largely conquered by the fire nation and thus had multiple colonies spread across the place. Technically Zuko was not allowed to enter any such colony either, which was just another reason why he should stay Lee.

Ideally though they would not enter any of those colonies at all.

One thing Zuko did notice though, was that the big saddlebags attached to the Khomodo-Rhinos containing their stuff seemed… A lot bulkier than before.

Zuko lifted an eyebrow and then opened up a bag only to be greeted with the sight of a ton of food. Rice, vegetables, dried meats, and red bean buns. Looked like the bean buns they hadn't eaten the other day Iroh had put aside for them.

Zuko couldn't help but smile a little resignedly. "I told him we didn't need anything extra," he said.

"He wants to dote on you. Why not let him?" Mai asked in a shrug.

Zuko blushed. "I can handle myself though," he said. "We've become really good at handling ourselves haven't we?" he asked.

Mai smirked amused. "I think Iroh knows that," she said. "He just wants to dote on you. Like I said. If it makes him feel good. So maybe think of it like this. Maybe it isn't even for you. It's for him. It makes him feel better." she said.

"Huh." Zuko blinked. "I guess if it's like that it would be bad to turn it down," he admitted. "I guess… It's something I am trying to learn," he said. "Allowing other people to take care of me."

Mai smiled lightly then reached out a hand towards Zuko, Zuko glanced up. But then reached out his own hand and took hers so they could hold hands while riding.

"You're doing great," Mai assured and Zuko smiled.

Just then, an arrow came from above.

"GET DOWN!" Zuko shouted just as a knife came from a different side and Mai avoided it as Zuko hissed, grabbing his dual swords. "IT'S AN AMBUSH!" he yelled as he deflected another arrow and Mai yelled throwing her knives, one obviously hit its target as a scream sounded and someone fell to the ground.

The small figure groaned as he looked up, shaking his head.

Zuko blinked. "A kid?!" he asked. "Again?! Why are everybody kids all of a sudden?"

Just then another one jumped down, wielding two hook swords he slammed at Zuko and Zuko just managed to deflect making him stand face to face with yet another kid with a mop of messy hair on his head and a straw in his mouth.

"You are a kid yourself. Idiot." The boy commented and Zuko sneered.

Mai hissed and then suddenly a big net was thrown down, landing on top of Mai. "HEY!" she shouted.

"APRIL!" Zuko screamed. "LET HER GO!" he pushed the hook sword boy back and yelled as he jumped up to attack.

"Sorry dude." The hook sword kid smirked. "You're riding fire nation steads. Can't let you go until we have figured out your deal," he stated and then suddenly Zuko stepped on something, he felt it pulling in his leg.

And suddenly… Zuko was upside down hanging from the treetops and he yelled surprised as he dropped his swords, now just hanging there.

The hook sword kid smirked as he put the swords in his belt. And then stepped forward so he face facing Zuko again. "You know it's weird. I kind of hope you're not fire nation," he stated. "I kind of like your style."

"HEY JET!" A girl suddenly yelled from their Khomodo-Rhinos. "Check this out! There is so much food here!"

And everyone just cheered.

Zuko sneered as he swung back and forth… These kids didn't know it. But Zuko could easily free himself in a second. He could burn through the rope around his foot in an instant and if he started to use firebending he could probably beat all of these kids back. None of them looked like benders.

But then… They were kids. And as Iroh had always taught Zuko. Never use fire bending in combat unless you are prepared to burn someone… And Zuko had to admit. He was not a fan of the idea of burning kids. And he groaned. Resigning himself to finding a better way.

At least Iroh would have been super proud of him

Chapter Text

As Zuko kept hanging in the tree all of the kids were digging through their saddlebags and some were already stuffing their faces with food.

Zuko glanced down at Mai sitting on the ground with a net over her and then… Zuko saw something shining in her hand. A sharp blade. "Ahem!" Zuko cleared his throat and startled Mai looked up and then.

Mai's and Zuko's eyes met. And Zuko shook his head.

Mai was silent for a little while but then groaned as she put the blade away before anyone saw it.

"Hey look at these!" A small girl grinned holding a big punch of papers showcasing different portraits of men.

"What you got there Smellerbee?" Jet asked as he grabbed the stack of papers and started to shift through them. Then suddenly a grin spread on his face. "Ah. I see," he stated then turned to Zuko. "I know what you are."

Zuko's eyes narrowed as Jet stepped towards him and then stopped.

"Really. When I first saw you. It was my first assumption. But I just had to make sure." Jet stated.

"What am I then?" Zuko asked and Jet smirked.

"You're like us." Jet then said in what looked like a genuine smile. Then he sighed. "It's on your face. Kind of obvious how the fire nation burned you. Now the two of you are out here making it as bounty hunters." he held up the stack of papers which were indeed bounty posters. "Doesn't look like you have any home or family except each other!" and then his face widened into a big grin. "That's exactly like all of us! HEY GUYS!" Jet shouted as he turned to the rest. "Whatever you found put it back! These guys are cool! They are hunting bounties!" he waved the bounty posters.

"Can we keep the food at least?" A boy asked.

"You know how it is around here." Jet laughed. "Food is something we share! So bring it to camp," he smirked then turned and slashed the rope holding Zuko up so Zuko dropped down on the ground.

"Auw." Zuko grunted.

"Sorry about that." Jet smirked. "You know how it is. We have to protect ourselves." then he walked to Mai and grabbed the net that was holding her down throwing it away before offering Mai a hand. "I hope you're not hurt. Things do sometimes get rough."

 


 

Mai looked at Jet's out stretched hand. Then rolled her eyes as she ignored the hand and stood up. Brushing her dress from all the fallen leaves. "I can handle myself." she said.

Jet smirked. "Didn't say you couldn't. That was some fancy knife work back there." he stated as he put his hands on his hips. "And some quick movements. I bet you are as deadly as a tornado of blades on the field."

Mai glared at Jet.

"And pretty to boot." Jet then stated.

"I got a boyfriend," Mai informed firmly. "And he's right behind you."

"Oh you two are a thing?" Jet asked. "That's awesome! So. Names Jet. These are the freedom fights. My family!"

"Freedom fighters?" Zuko asked.

"Family?" Mai asked.

"Yes. Every single person here lost their family." Jet informed. "So we made our own one."

"Oh…" Zuko realized. "So you're orphans?"

"All of you?" Mai asked now actually a little stunned as she looked around.

"Yup." Jet stated. "Got the fire nation to thank for that. But then I suppose you're not surprised by that at all."

Zuko's eyes widened and then he looked down. Mai though huffed. "So can we leave now?" she asked. "You took our food. We have nothing else of value to you."

"I mean sure. You can leave if you want." Jet said in a shrug.

"Wait," Zuko said and Mai turned her head as she looked at him. "I erhm… I would like to stay for a bit. I would like to hear this." he said looking up at Mai with those big innocent eyes of his.

And suddenly, Jet's smile just widened even more. He seemed warm and genuine. "Of course you can stay!" he stated "Stay for dinner and maybe stay the night!" he beamed.

Mai's eyes narrowed. There was an opportunity in Jet's eyes. Something other than just delight over meeting strangers.

Zuko though seemed oblivious. "Thanks," he said. "That would be nice."

"You do realize they will be serving us our food right?" Mai asked.

"April." Zuko swallowed as he turned to her. Then whispered. "The fire nation…. Took their parents away."

Mai really wanted to point out the obvious here that yes. It was probably true the fire nation army had done that. But Zuko had not.

What was it going to help though? This was Zuko.

"So I guess you'll come with us then." Jet grinned.

"Only for the night." Mai held up a finger.

"Yeah… Sorry. We are kind of on the trail of someone." Zuko blushed.

"Big bounty. Got ya." Jet grinned. "Some fire nation renegade I bet." he beamed.

"Well… Erhm. Kind of." Zuko stated.

"How you got those Khomodo-Rhino's?" Jet then asked.

"Stole them from the fire nation," Mai informed shortly like she always did.

"I knew it!" Jet grinned. "I knew you were like us!" he beamed. "Come on up then." he grinned as he grabbed a rope. And then suddenly Jet just vanished as he was pulled up through the treetops and Mai and Zuko looked up while gaping.

Just as another rope was lowered. Zuko and Mai looked at each other. Then.. Zuko grabbed Mai. And then he grabbed the rope. And next thing they knew they were both pulled up too far above where they both had to gape impressed.

Wooden houses and bridges going from tree to tree. It was an entire little village high above the ground.

"You guys… Build all of this?" Zuko asked.

"Sure did." Jet smirked as he was sitting on a branch next to them. "The fire nation took our families. So we made a new one. It took our homes. So we made a new one." he explained in a grin. "Welcome. To freedom village!" he gestured and all the kids were laughing, grinning, and waving.

"Wow." Zuko blinked. Then looked down.

"Lee?" Mai asked.

"This is all really impressive but… It should never have been necessary." Zuko breathed.

Mai quieted.

"I want to hear their stories," Zuko said. "I want to know what happened."

Mai sighed deeply. "I know."

 


 

That night true enough there was a party in the treetops. Everyone seemed to be in a high mood and beyond happy to get food a bit more exciting than the usual bland forest food they would get.

Apparently, Iroh had also hidden some sweets away for Zuko and Mai. Probably as a surprise. And the youngest was eagerly munching and sharing while laughing.

While Mai was pretty annoyed that this was their food…. Zuko honestly didn't mind too much. He wasn't that big a fan of sweets himself. And obviously, he had much easier access to them than these tree-top kids.

Jet was introducing the kids one by one as they came by. "That's Longshot." he presented. "He doesn't speak so don't take it personally when he doesn't answer you. He hasn't said a word since his parents were killed in front of him. That's the Duke." he pointed at one of the smallest children who didn't look to be more than nine maybe ten years old. And he was now almost crying while sucking on hard candies. "We sort of found him a couple of years ago abandoned in the woods. He could barely even speak a sentence back then cause you know… he was basically just a toddler."

Zuko lowered his head while holding a bowl of steaming hot stew served for him.

Mai was usually a very quiet person, except for when she and Zuko were alone. Now though she somehow seemed even more quiet than usual.

"So erhm… Freedom fighters?" Zuko asked.

"Yes!" Jet stated. "It is our mission to free the Earth kingdom from fire nation control! People out there are suffering and we want to make sure that no more children have to lose their parents to fire nation tyranny. One day we will liberate all of the earth Kingdom!"

Slowly Zuko nodded. "I…. See."

 


 

After the meal Zuko sought a bit of solitude, he climbed higher up in the trees until he was so high up that the night sky above him was visible through the branches above him. He could see the moon too. It was almost full and there were no clouds at all.

Under him, Zuko could just barely see the warm light from a very controlled fire made in the trees used to cook the food and give them all light.

It was peaceful up here. The only sounds were the winds and the occasional night bird, then Zuko could hear the branches rustling and someone else coming up.

Zuko glanced down to see a complete mop of messed up brown hair as a young boy his own age hauled himself up to sit beside Zuko and then grinned at him. "Hi Lee!"

Zuko smirked amused. "Hello Jet."

"Everything alright up here?" Jet asked. "Hope you're not too mad about the food. But well… We don't have a lot and you seemed to have plenty."

Zuko shrugged. "I don't mind," he said. "April and I are very good at our job. It's no issue for us to get food."

"I just knew you were cool." Jet grinned. "As soon as I saw you probably. I just knew."

Zuko looked away as he lifted a hand, touching his scar without even thinking.

"Hey. No need to be ashamed." Jet smirked. "Wanna see mine?"

Zuko blinked as he turned back to Jet. "What?" he asked.

And then Jet pulled off his shirt to reveal his bare torso but more importantly, his left arm where on the upper arm right below the shoulder there was a big burn scar which honestly looked a lot like a rough handprint like someone had harshly grabbed Jet by the arm and... and Zuko's eyes widened.

"I guess I shouldn't complain." Jet said. "Like… At all! I get to decide if I want people to see it or not."

Zuko swallowed as he looked down.

"Some sick bastard who put a hand to your face huh." Jet commented as he put his shirt back on.

Zuko nodded… It wasn't as obvious now he had grown his hair out. But if you looked closely, you could see his scar was roughly the shape of a big hand. And since Jet clearly had the mark of a hand on his arm, he knew exactly what that kind of burn wound looked like. 

"Dude seriously. You should not be ashamed of that." Jet said. "You know what that scar means? Someone hurt you. They might even tried to kill you. I bet it hurt like shit. But you didn't succumb and you didn't lay down to surrender. You lived! You are a fucking survivor! And a true fighter to boot! And that's more than you can say of most people. You should be proud! You're freaking awesome!"

Zuko didn't reply but still averted his eyes.

"You know. The freedom fighters could use people like you." Jet said. "The world out there is tough and the fire nation is constantly coming closer and closer. If we are to liberate the earth kingdom. We could really need people like you."

Zuko exhaled deeply. "You don't want us in your group," he said.

"Pretty sure I do." Jet smirked. "Hey, we all got our stories here. And none has to share when they aren't ready! It took pipsqueak two years before he finally told us his story."

Zuko inhaled deeply. "Look… I think I found a way. To liberate the earth kingdom." he said. "So hopefully you guys won't have to fight. A way so no one will have to be hurt."

Jet frowned deeply. "That sounds awfully optimistic," he said.

"Well… My situation is… Unique." Zuko said. "It's only me who can do it. So that's why… at least I owe it to the world to try."

Jet chuckled amused. "Well. Whatever you say bud." he grinned while giving Zuko a pad on the shoulder. "You can always remember though. The freedom fighters could absolutely use you and we will welcome you!" he winked. "If you need a place to hide or people for one of your plans. Or just.. Stuff. You know."

"Thank you. That's very kind." Zuko whispered.

"Pff." Jet shrugged. "In this world. People like us need to stand together!" he stated. "So don't even think about it."

Zuko smirked lightly. "Right. Okay."

And Jet grinned all over his face. Then laughed again as he padded Zuko on the shoulder. "You're a good dude." he simply said.

Chapter Text

Mai sighed deeply relieved as finally, a figure stepped into the room they were borrowing for the night. "There you are." she sighed relieved.

Zuko glanced up, only half his face visible in the darkness. He blinked. "Why haven't you gone to sleep yet?" he asked.

"There's no way I would go to sleep when you weren't back." Mai rolled her eyes.

"Oh." Zuko realized.

"But I am indeed tired," Mai admitted. "Come to bed," she asked as Mai laid down on her own futon. Moving the blanket aside, inviting Zuko to lay next to her so they could share the blanket.

Zuko smiled lightly and then removed his shoes as well as his tunic so he now had a bare torso and laid down next to Mai. Allowing her to pull up the blanket so it covered the both of them and they were lying face to face.

"There's my private heater," Mai commented and suddenly her cold feet were pressed against Zuko's legs.

Zuko chuckled. "Is that what kept you up?"

"Of course not," Mai said. Then quieted. "How are you?"

"I don't know." Zuko glanced away.

"You know it's not your fault right?" Mai asked in a whisper. "You didn't take their parents."

"I know but… I never did anything to stop it either." Zuko swallowed. "And… They are not the only ones who." he halted. "There are so many. People on all sides are just… Losing their parents. Losing their kids. Left and right. And for what?"

Mai quieted. "I don't know," she admitted. "I never understood this stupid war… Or why we had to be a part of it. I never asked for this. And I know you didn't either."

Zuko looked down.

"Hey," Mai whispered as she placed a hand on Zuko's cheek. "You didn't ask for this," she whispered. Then she leaned over and kissed him on the mouth and Zuko closed his eyes. And then as the kiss ended they pressed their foreheads against each other.

Then suddenly Zuko's eyes widened and he blushed as he quickly rolled to his other side. "Sorry! Sorry." he gasped.

Mai raised an eyebrow as Zuko stood up, holding a hand over his crotch trying to shield it from Mai. "I erh… I'm just gonna go take care of." he swallowed. "Guys business," he whispered.

Mai raised an eyebrow. "You know I can do it." she offered while gesturing with her hand in a suggestive motion.

"Not here." Zuko hissed. "There are kids!"

Mai shrugged. "Suit yourself."

"Just going to the bathroom." Zuko blushed deeply. "Where there's an actual lock on the door." and he rushed out as Mai shook her head.

Teenage boys and their needs! It was a good thing that Mai was a very well educated woman and knew exactly what to do to satisfy those needs without risking pregnancy.

 


 

Outside Zuko had managed to miss the young girl sitting on the roof as she had listened in, now that Zuko was gone the girl jumped down and rushed towards the main hut where Jet was sitting with crossed legs. Then he glanced up. "So what you got?" he asked.

"They sound all right by me." Smellerbee beamed. "The guy sounds like he's really interested in doing his bit to stop the war… Though. The ways he phrased some of it was a little weird."

"What do you mean?" Jet asked.

"Well… He said he hadn't done anything to stop it and that made him feel bad." Smellerbee said.

Jet smirked lightly. "That's not so weird is it?" he asked. "Just remember what you said? You were mad at yourself that you didn't stay and didn't protect your parents. But what did I tell you?"

"It's not my fault," Smellerbee said. "Only the fire nations."

"Exactly," Jet said. "They want to make us feel like we are at fault. But we are not. It's just them. The fire nation. All of the fire nation."

Smellerbee nodded seriously and resolutely.

 


 

Zuko was back where he belonged. Laying next to Mai and allowing Mai to drape an arm around him while he fell asleep. Mai's cat-like eyes glanced up, they almost seemed to glow in the darkness.

Under her a pillow a knife was hidden and Mai's lips were thin. Zuko was vulnerable among these kids because he felt responsible for their tragedy. Mai just hoped that they really were as innocent as they seemed.

But something told her otherwise... This was a cruel world. A world at war. These kids had all seen it up front. Up close. Had personally been affected by it. That messes up people and everyone here seemed way too happy and easy going for someone who had seen death up close.

It just wasn't right... Mai knew her mission though. Just keep Zuko safe. That was all that mattered. And Mai honestly didn't care what it took. It wouldn't be the first time her blade had tasted blood.

Chapter Text

The next morning Mai was honestly just ready to get out of there. Honestly, if it was up to Mai. They would never get involved in anything this much.

As far as Mai was concerned. Zuko and Mai had all they needed as long as they were together and whatever was happening to earth kingdom villages and fire nation soldiers weren't their bloody problem. So why bother? Why not just leave?

Zuko though was a far better person than Mai. It was why she loved him and why she wanted to smack him upside the head half the time.

The pledge of these treetop kids was sad and all. But it had nothing to do with Mai and Zuko. And Mai was looking forward to just dismissing them and moving forward.

That of course meant focusing on the Avatar… in a stupid attempt to save a nation that Zuko owed nothing toward. Seriously what had the fire nation ever done for him?

… Stupid loveable Zuko.

Jet was looking at Zuko as he tilted his head. "Look… I know this may be a lot to ask but." he hesitated. "Couldn't you stay for a couple of days at least."

Zuko looked up and Mai groaned as she closed her eyes… No Zuko no. Just. Not.

Zuko blinked. "Like I said. We are kind on a trail of someone," he said.

"Just a couple of days!" Jet said. "We are in trouble. The fire nation has built a stronghold not far from our camp! Our home! And their soldiers are constantly coming closer. We need to beat them back! They already took all of our homes ones. We can't let them take this one too. After all we have done to build it!"

Zuko gasped. "That's horrible," he admitted and Mai groaned as she lowered her head.

Fuck.

"But…" Zuko hesitated. "How can we help you exactly?" he asked.

"You're strong! You can help us beat them back!" Jet stated.

"I don't know." Zuko glanced away. "It's not that… simple." he finally said.

"I got a plan." Jet said. "How to destroy their stronghold."

Zuko was chewing on his lip. Clearly quite torn.

"No." Mai firmly stated. "We already have a mission!" she reminded Zuko. "We can't get involved in conflicts with the fire nation. Lee." she stated as she grabbed his hand.

Jet's lip twitched. He clearly looked annoyed.

Zuko nodded, his hand now curling together to hold Mai's in return. "Sorry," he whispered. "We really can't." 

"Like it or not. We are all in conflict with the fire nation already." Jet huffed. "It's on your face!" he pointed out and Zuko turned his head away. "They come. They burn and they laugh in your face while doing it. You really want them to get away with that?"

"Not all fire nation are like that." Zuko insisted.

Suddenly there was silence. All silence. It was like the temperature just dropped.

"What?" Jet asked in a disbelieving voice.

"Some soldiers are… corrupt. And… Evil." Zuko swallowed. "But that's not all of the fire nation. It's not fair to judge a whole people just on… Some evil bastards on the field."

There was silence. Absolutely and stunned silence. Everyone was looking at Zuko in shock, horror, and even disgust.

"Wha… What?" Zuko asked.

"You." Jet gaped. "Are you telling me… You're sympathizing with the fire nation?!" he asked.

"Well. Erhm." Zuko swallowed. "Some of them." he tried but clearly started to look very small as he curled in on himself. "We… We met this man recently. Who lost his leg in the war and the fire nation just chewed him up and spat him back out leaving him with nothing. He's a victim too."

"Victim?" Jet asked. "Victim!" he exclaimed his eyes suddenly raging. "That man." he seethed. "What was he before he lost that leg? A soldier! So how many did he murder and kill huh?" he asked as he stepped forward grabbing his sword. "How many houses did he burn down? How many people did he scar for life! No." he pulled out his swords. "All fire nation must pay."

Zuko's eyes widened.

"Traitor!" Jet yelled as he aimed his swords at Zuko only for Mai to get in the way with her knives and she hissed blocking Jet.

"I knew it," Mai informed. "You are out of your mind."

And Jet hissed as he stepped back. "I am out of my mind?" he asked. "You two are fire nation sympathizers!" he pointed at them with his sword.

"Well duh." Mai huffed. "My dad is fire nation," she said and Jet's eyes widened. "And so is my mom. And my little brother," she smirked. "Funny how you couldn't even tell before I told you. Maybe… Just maybe. We are all just people huh?"

 


 

Jet had gone ghostly pale, but then. The paleness went away as his eyes narrowed in anger, his teeth gritted around the straw, and all around them there were sneers and then. The first one attacked Mai and she defended. They came for Zuko as well and he pulled out his swords to defend.

"LEE IS MINE!" Jet suddenly shouted and came running for Zuko with his twin hook swords and Zuko blocked with his own hook swords. "How dare you!" Jet hissed as he launched at him. "You made me think you understood!"

"I didn't make you think anything! You just assumed!" Zuko exclaimed as he jumped backward landing on a different branch and Jet yelled as he jumped after him.

"How can you ever defend those monsters! Look at your own face!" Jet hissed.

"I blame the man who did it!" Zuko shouted back. "Not the old woman who just happens to wash dishes next door!"

"Then you are a fool!" Jet seethed and their swords clashed. "Your girlfriend! You knew she was fire nation."

"YES!" Zuko shouted. "Of course I knew. We ran away together. From the fire nation!"

"So… You're fire nation too." Jet concluded and Zuko's lip thinned. "I should have known," he said in a low voice. "All fire nation must be purged. Die!"

And he launched for Zuko who ducked down, then jumped down on the forest ground where he rolled around and get back up on his feet. "APRIL!" he shouted up. "WE'RE LEAVING! NOW!" he yelled just as Jet came jumping to attacking from on top.

Zuko just managed to roll away and their swords clashed.

"You won't be getting away." Jet huffed. "All fire nation must pay."

"You're insane." Zuko gasped. "I never did anything to you! I would have helped you!"

"I DON'T NEED YOUR HELP!" Jet roared coming for Zuko again and Zuko dodged out of the way.

Zuko closed his eyes. Jet didn't know it but… He was outmatched. And then Zuko bowed down and rammed a precise hit at Jet's stomach sending him hurling back and he landed on the ground on his back. Groaning deeply as he gasped for breath.

Just then Mai came riding with their Khomodo-Rhinos. "LEE!" she shouted.

Zuko quickly grabbed his own Khomodo-Rhino and swung himself up then they were off as they huffed.

"Man." Mai gasped. "And none of them even realize. That could have been over in a second if you had just used fire bending."

Zuko sighed deeply. "What good would that have done?" he asked. "Risking burning down their home just to prove them right?"

Mai looked down.

"They already hate fire bending. Can't say I blame them for that." Zuko lifted a hand to his scar.

"That's their issue, not ours." Mai huffed. "Let's just get the hell away from here."

Zuko nodded. "Erhm Mai." He swallowed.

"Yeah?" Mai asked.

"Thank you." Zuko almost whispered in his raspy voice.

Mai smirked. "Anytime. It's why I am here," she said and Zuko glanced up at her. And then he smiled lightly. Appreciation in his golden eyes while Mai smiled an assuring smile back at him while they rode off.

Chapter Text

Once Mai and Zuko were far enough away they slowed down and sighed deeply. They were out of immediate danger but that still left them with another problem.

…. They had no food. They were supposed to take some with them from the freedom fighters but the confrontation had happened before they managed to take it.

Ironic how the other day it seemed like they had way too much food and now they had none.

In good news though. Mai had from the start insisted on always keeping money on their own person for safety reasons.

It wasn't just knives that Mai had hidden everywhere on her person. It was also any gold coins they had.

Silver and bronze were more likely to go into a regular pouch so if someone tried to rob them it wouldn't look too suspicious…. Like the freedom fighters just had.

Still. You couldn't eat gold. You sort of had to exchange those pieces of metal for something.

Thankfully though it didn't take long for Zuko and Mai to run into a small city that appeared on the horizon. As they came closer fire nation banners on the wall became visible and Zuko squinted his eyes.

"Is that… A fire nation colony?" he asked.

"Looks like it." Mai nodded.

"Wait a minute." Zuko blinked. "Is that the stronghold Jet was talking about? That's not a stronghold. It's not even a military base. It's just a colony!"

Mai shrugged. "Clearly Jet is out of his mind. You heard him. All fire nation needs to pay. Didn't sound like it made any difference for him."

"Oh." Zuko looked down. "Right… So erhm. Maybe you should go in after supplies. I can wait outside."

Mai looked at Zuko. "From what I understand… Lee. It's Prince Zuko who is not allowed to enter fire nation colonies. As it happens though. Prince Zuko is out at sea. And General Iroh will vouch for that so… Don't worry about it."

Zuko swallowed. "Are you sure it's a good idea?" he asked.

"As long as there are no traces of Zhao or anyone else you happen to know personally. Yeah, I think it's fine." Mai said. "Beside. You need to rest. A proper bed for the night will most likely be good for you…. For us." she smirked. "I could." she leaned closer to Zuko. "Take care of your guys' needs."

Zuko blushed deeply as he looked the other way.

"And you know I never say no to a return of the favor." Mai almost purred. "It'll help us take our minds off things."

"Erhm.. Right. Ahem." Zuko coughed into his hand. "Let's get some supplies first shall we?" he asked.

Mai grinned like a Cheshire cat. "So that isn't a no then."

And Zuko sighed deeply while Mai chuckled into her sleeve. She had definitely succeeded in taking Zuko's mind off things! Mission complete!

 


 

As they approached the city two guards were stationed in front of the gates and at ones they shouted. "HALT!"

And Zuko and Mai did. Zuko looked a little nervous as he looked down.

The guard looked them over, he looked at their green clothes and then their faces and he groaned. "Do you think we're stupid?" he asked. "You kids are causing enough trouble as is out in the forest. Go away."

Mai looked at him. "We are not with those kids," she informed firmly. "We are bounty hunters for hire."

The guard looked at her. "Sorry. I'm not gonna take any chances. Those kids have already done more than enough damage around here. So unless you have some sort of proof. I am sorry. But I can't let you in."

Zuko sighed deeply. "We're fire nation." he finally informed as he held out a hand and let a little flame appear. Then he closed his hand and the flame vanished. "Those kids attacked us too. Stole all of our food. That's why we are here. For supplies."

Now the guard looked more sympathetic. "Yeah… That happens a lot," he admitted in a deep sigh. "Well. Get in then." he stepped aside and opened the port for them.

Zuko smiled lightly. "Thank you," he whispered.

The guard waved a hand. "It's enemy territory. We gotta look out for each other," he stated and Zuko swallowed but both got inside.

Inside it was indeed just a very regular looking city. Not very rich, but not super poor either. Just sort of average. And very normal people were walking around doing normal everyday business.

The fashion was sort of a mix between fire nation and earth kingdom. Though mostly the colors were reds, blacks, and browns making Zuko and Mai stand out a bit in their current clothes. But no one really paid them any mind as they slowly rode through the small city until they found an inn with a stable for the khomodo Rhinos.

Quickly they had gotten themselves a room for the night and reserved a table for the evening, then they were out for a bit of shopping.

A little wide-eyed was Zuko looking up as he looked around and Mai smirked. "Seeing something interesting?" she asked.

"Sorry. It's been a while since I was last in a fire nation town." Zuko blushed and Mai smiled. It didn't take long to find a shop that had supplies they could use for the road.

Things like rice, dried fruits, and meats. Things that could last.

There were two different price tags on all products. Earth kingdom copper, silver, and gold. As well as fire nation Ban.

The items on sale as well seemed to be a mix of fire nation and earth kingdom. The fruits and vegetables were mostly earth kingdom.

The few fire nation eatables on display were overpriced… by a high margin. And none of it was fruits or vegetables. It was all imported biscuits, spices, and herbs.

It was impossible to get an ash banana here. But there were small jars of golden pepper spice…. Expensive small jars. And as Zuko opened one to take a look. The quality didn't seem that good either.

"Imported from the homeland." The store owner informed. "It's a long way for a jar of spice to travel."

Zuko looked at him. "It's not… A lot."

The store owner sighed. "I did order more. But whenever someone tries to transport food here they get attacked and robbed! It's those damn kids."

"Ah…. Right." Zuko nodded.

"Hey aren't you the bounty hunters that are traveling through?" The store owner asked. "Supposedly the ring leader of that bandit gang has a pretty high bounty on his head! And listen. If you get that kid down I will give you whatever you want in my store. For free!"

Zuko frowned. "I don't know. They are just kids…. And." he halted.

"Kids or not kids! They are making us suffer." The store owner pointed out. "We are just minding our own business here and they are trying to starve us out. They are constantly stealing our food! And other things they can get their grubby hands on! Perhaps being locked up for a while will be good for them. Teach them a lesson. You thought about that?"

Zuko quieted.

"Sorry. We have another mission right now." Mai informed. "Maybe later."

And the store owner groaned as he sighed deeply. "Come on please!" he asked. "All of the millitary says the same thing! That they have better things to do than hunting down kids! Listen. I'm sure that everybody in town would be happy to chip in if you caught them for us. It could be a very handsome bounty!"

Zuko turned his head away.

"We'll think about it." Mai finally said as she dumped a bag of rice on the desk. "How much for this?" she asked and the store owner sighed.

 


 

As Mai and Zuko ate dinner that evening Mai sighed deeply… Sometimes didn't think at all. And sometimes he thought too much.

Like always… Zuko was a walking bunch of contradictions.

"This isn't our issue." Mai reminded Zuko for what felt like time number one thousand.

Zuko glanced away.

"None of this needs to be our issue." Mai then said. "I mean… We were happy. Weren't we? We don't need any of it. It'll be so easy! We can be happy again. Just you and I! Just... Forget it." she asked in a tempting smile. Then her smile faltered. "Look… Why do you need the Avatar anyway? We didn't cause any of this. We don't have to do shit!"

Zuko turned his head all the way away.

"Zuko." Mai breathed as she reached over a hand. Lightly touching Zuko's. Only for Zuko to pull his hand back and Mai halted.

"Sorry… Sorry I just." Zuko grabbed his forehead. "I don't know. I'm just."

Mai sighed deeply. "I know. You feel bad about the kids out there. And you feel bad about the people living here. You shouldn't but you do."

Zuko glanced up with large golden eyes and he nodded.

Mai sighed deeply.

"Don't you feel anything?" Zuko asked.

"Why would I?" Mai asked. "What have either of those groups ever done for me? I owe them nothing. And what would it even help to worry about them? They are no friends of mine."

Zuko frowned deeply as he looked away.

"Zuko." Mai tried again as she reached for him.

"Not right now." Zuko stood up. "Sorry. I'm just really tired. I'm going to bed." and then. Zuko walked towards the stairs to the guest rooms and Mai sat back in silence.

Then she sighed deeply looking down into what remained of her food. Well… This was just great.

Chapter Text

The next day… Zuko was in a mood. Which meant Mai was in a mood. Which meant it was an all around fantastic time.

It frustrated Mai beyond belief. It didn't need to be this big of a deal! They could just bloody leave! But clearly, Zuko wasn't seeing it that way and whenever Mai tried to suggest that they just leave he snapped at her.

What were they supposed to accomplish by sticking around anyway?! "So do you want to take the city up on the offer and catch Jet to cash in the bounty?" he asked.

"No." Zuko hissed.

"Then what? You'll help Jet attack the city?" Mai asked.

"No!" Zuko exclaimed.

"Then why are we staying?!" Mai exclaimed.

Zuko seethed as he turned around.

"This isn't our conflict!" Mai exclaimed. "Let's just move on!"

"URRRGHHH!" Zuko grabbed his face as he almost seemed to roar. "How can you just feel nothing?!" he finally exclaimed.

"What would feeling help here?!" Mai asked. "If you wanted to solve the problem we would just go out there. Catch Jet and cash in the bounty and honestly. I am all for that! He's a thief! But you don't want that do you? Because what? They are children who at one point were victims of the fire nation?" she asked.

Zuko hissed as he turned around.

"But you're fine with trying to capture the Avatar even though we know now he's twelve," Mai muttered and Zuko's eyes widened as he turned to look at Mai.

Then he hissed. "It's not the same," he said. "You've seen all the destruction the Avatar causes."

"What do you think these freedom fighters intend to do?" Mai asked. "Liberate the entire earth kingdom from the fire nation. What do you think that involves? Sitting around a campfire and singing songs together? That Jet. One day, he will kill someone."

Zuko quieted. He went pale. Extremely pale.

"You want to solve this issue?" Mai asked. "Let's get that bounty. It's what we do anyway isn't it?" she asked.

"But… That's not solving anything." Zuko swallowed. "Jet he… He told me how." he looked down. "He was just a kid and they trapped his parents in a house. Then sat fire to that house and burned his parents alive. He saw it happening… And the fire nation soldiers were laughing while he watched. That's not right."

Mai sighed deeply. "I'm sorry Zuko," she said very sincerely. "Sometimes… Often in fact. There are no good solutions. There is no magic fix to make people live happily ever after. It's all just messed up life. Especially in this world where the entire world is at war! What can I say? The world sucks monkeys butt."

Zuko looked down.

"So. Zuko," Mai said. "Do we hunt down Jet so he can be put in a place where he can't hurt anyone? Or do we leave?" she asked.

Zuko turned his head away.

Mai frowned deeply and then slowly. Zuko turned back as he swallowed. Mai kept silent as she just looked at him and finally Zuko exhaled deeply.

"You want us to just leave. Right?" Zuko asked.

"As I already said," Mai confirmed.

"Okay." Zuko then said. "Okay… We'll leave."

And Mai sighed relieved, then leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. "Thank you."

Just then a scream sounded. "JUA! What happened?! OH MY AGNI!"

Startled Mai and Zuko looked up to see a group of people gathering not far from there and immediately Zuko run over there only to halt as he saw an old man who had fallen to his knees, a young woman doing her best to hold him up.

The old man looked… Terrible. His left eye was swollen and forced shut, his lip was bleeding, he was holding his side with his left arm while the right arm was weirdly hanging on the other side looking very broken.

The young woman holding him was crying. "Grandad. What?" she asked.

The old man coughed, and a bit of blood fell out then he looked up. "Those kids." he managed to croak.

The young woman hissed with tears showing in her eyes. "I told you! I told you walking alone would be bad out there! What were you thinking?!"

"I didn't think.. It was just a walk." The old man said. "And they… I thought I was going to die," he admitted. "I asked them to stop but they didn't. They just kept…" he gasped. "please stop. It's just a walk. Don't hurt me." he closed his eyes.

Zuko looked at Mai and only remembered to well what she had just said… It was only a matter of time before Jet would… Then Zuko turned back to the old man and stepped forward. "How did you escape?" he asked.

The old man looked up. "There was another boy. Wearing blue." he gasped. "He demanded they stop. If it wasn't for him then…" he swallowed.

Zuko's eyes darkened as he looked down. "This is only going to get worse. Isn't it?" he asked.

Mai nodded and Zuko seethed.

"Alright then," Zuko said. "April and I are bounty hunters," he informed. "We were told that if we bring the ring leader of these kids. Jet! There's a bounty." he gritted. "We're taking the job." he informed. "Jet will be caught and brought to justice."

There was a deep gasp and then people smiled.

"Thank you." The young woman smiled. "It's too much! My grandad was almost killed this time!"

"I know," Zuko said. "And that's exactly why we're taking the job."

Mai smirked. "Beside. We could use the money," she informed. "In keeper! I hope the meal will be on the house tonight! When we bring in Jet!"

"Young woman. If you bring in that kid you can get free meals at my establishment for the rest of your life!" The in keeper shouted. "Old Jua never hurt anyone! He's a carpenter! He made the frames for my inn!"

"Awesome," Mai smirked.

Zuko glanced at Mai and then swallowed.

"We are bounty hunters Lee," Mai said. "And a job is a job."

Zuko nodded. "Yeah… Okay." he nodded. "Let's head out then."

Chapter Text

To be able to go unnoticed into the forest. Mai and Zuko left their khomodo Rhinos behind in the town.

What they did bring though, aside from their weapons, were ropes and handcuffs. Real metal handcuffs which was always the best way to go.

Ropes could be cut through and burned. Handcuffs would be trickier to get out of.

Zuko couldn't say he was feeling entirely good about this. Taking Jet out… What would that mean for the rest of the kids?

Hopefully, they would be all right and find a better role model. But it still meant that the fire nation would have taken their second home away from them too.

Still… the sight of the old man played in front of Zuko's eyes. And Zuko had no doubt that if Jet hadn't been stopped. That old man would have been beaten to death. And Jet wouldn't even have been sorry about it.

When Zuko and Jet had fought against each other. Zuko had seen it in his eyes. His desire to kill was very real.

It was the same look people like Zhao and Azula would have too once they really got into battle.

Zuko closed his eyes as he inhaled deeply. It would be best if they could get Jet separated from the other freedom fighters.

When the freedom fighters fought together, they were clearly skilled and it wasn't certain Zuko and Mai would be able to beat them.

But alone… Taking Jet down shouldn't be too hard.

The kid was skilled. But both Mai and Zuko had been trained in deadly combat since they could barely even walk.

Together they moved through the trees, jumping between tree branches as they knew walking on the ground would be the way for the freedom fighters to detect them.

Also, the ground would be littered with the traps the freedom fighters put up to protect their homes.

Suddenly though Zuko stopped, a deep rumble sounded beneath them and Zuko hesitated as Mai came up next to them.

Then slowly… Slowly Zuko looked down. To see a giant ball of white fluff below them and Zuko gaped.

"Zuko," Mai whispered.

"It…" Zuko gasped. "It's the giant sheep."

They were both silent as they looked at each other.

"The avatar is here." Zuko breathed and they both looked down.

"This is bad." Mai frowned. "Jet we can take. But the Jet and the Avatar working together?"

Zuko frowned deeply. "Clearly we need to make sure they are not even near each other as we take either down."

Mai nodded seriously then Zuko silenced.

"Zuko?" Mai asked.

"It looks…. So soft." Zuko whispered and Mai lifted an eyebrow. Zuko swallowed and then, he jumped down.

The big massive fluff thing didn't even move and Zuko gasped as slowly… Slowly he moved closer until he was right next to the fluff thing.

Zuko was shaking, his entire body was shaking as slowly… Ever so slowly he moved his hand forward. Towards white fur and then suddenly.

The big thing opened its eyes and turned its head looking directly at Zuko.

"Argh!" Zuko fell backward.

"Zuko!" Mai exclaimed from above only for Zuko to reach up a hand.

"It's okay! It isn't doing anything!" Zuko shouted. Then wide-eyed looked up. To see how those large brown eyes that seemed oddly intelligent was observing him. Zuko blinked. "Wait… you're not a sheep." he realized.

The big thing just blinked and slowly Zuko stood up as he mystified looked at the massive ball of fur and six legs.

"But…. What are you?" he asked as he looked it over. There was a big arrow on its head and brown markings across its back.

Zuko swallowed and then, he reached up a hand again. Slowly his hand moved closer and closer and then… He touched the beast. His hand laying on the big warm snout and Zuko gasped. "Wow." he breathed. Then he moved his hands forward and tried scratching the big thing around the ear as he grinned. "I was right! It's so soft!" he grinned.

"Zuko!" Mai hissed from up above. "Zuko get out of there."

Zuko ignored her. He was grinning as he was petting the big fluffy…. Thing.

And then suddenly. Out of nowhere. The big thing opened its mouth. And a massive sluppery tongue licked Zuko. One massive lick that covered his entire body in a big 'slurp' and drenched him in saliva.

"Ewwwww!" Zuko exclaimed now completely disgusted.

Mai snorted from her branch. "Told you."

Just then the sound of branches breaking as someone came running sounded and Zuko gasped as he quickly jumped up, grabbed a branch, and pulled himself up into hiding just as a young boy wearing orange came running with a big grin on his face.

"APPAAAA!" The boy laughed as he jumped right on the big things head and he laughed. "Hahahaha! You all right?" he asked. "Sorry about leaving you alone. It's a bit hard taking you to the tree village!" he beamed. "You all right boy?" he asked only for the boy to get a lick himself. He thought laughed it off. Then shook while releasing a big gust of wind that freed him from any saliva… unlike Zuko who was still drenched.

Then the boy ran over to the bags laying on the ground pulled out what looked like a whole cabbage before running back to his creature and throwing it into his mouth.

His big flying pet seemed to be chewing happily and then swallowed.

"Good boy." The young Avatar grinned as he petted the fluff thing.

Zuko was silent as he looked at it… Damn. The kid looked so innocent.

"Zuko," Mai whispered as she crawled up next to him. "He's alone." she pointed out. "What should we do?"

Zuko was silent for a while as he looked at the laughing boy. "If we take him now it will alert the others. Including Jet," he said. "We'll take down Jet first. Deliver him to the village. Then we concentrate on the avatar."

Mai was silent as she looked at Zuko. Then she nodded and they both just observed as the boy gave the fluff thing one last big hug to the face and then dashed off. And he was gone… So was their window of opportunity and Zuko exhaled deeply.

Then Mai looked at him. "Gross," she commented.

And Zuko realized… Saliva was still dripping off him. "Urgggh." he groaned deeply.

Mai smirked amused as she lay across her branch. "So… How many times is it I need to tell you to just stay away from strange animals?"

Zuko turned to Mai. And suddenly looked at her with the most innocent guilty looking eyes in the world. Like a small kid who had been caught with his hands in the cookie jar.

Mai shook her head. "One should think you had learned your lesson when that goose-snake bit you."

And Zuko looked down. His cheeks flushed deep red as he looked as guilty as ever.

Mai shook her head. "I saw there was a river up ahead. At least you can wash off. We are supposed to be the cool bounty hunters you know. Would be a shame to let our fans down."

And Zuko nodded. "Yeah… Okay." he agreed.

Mai smirked. "You're so adorable."

And Zuko groaned deeply. "I'm not," he muttered.

"I think your uncle would agree with me." Mai grinned. "So that's two against one. You're outvoted."

"Shut up." Zuko pouted as he grabbed a branch and jumped down while Mai grinned happily.

Chapter Text

Mai was grinning as she was laying flat on her stomach, resting her head in her hands, and just enjoying the view as Zuko was standing in the water to his waste.

Zuko looked at her. "Seriously?" he asked.

"I don't get what the issue is. I've already seen you naked plenty of times." Mai grinned. "And I did turn around while you undressed. Just like you asked."

Zuko lowered himself so now more of him was below the water surface.

"How's the water? Maybe I should join you." Mai suggested and Zuko's eyes widened. "Then again." She sighed. "Someone needs to stand guard. Those freedom fighters can't be that far away. Maybe next time." she sighed looking honestly disappointed.

"Please don't," Zuko asked as he looked away.

Mai quieted. "You… Really don't want me to look at you?" she asked.

"I know I'm not." Zuko swallowed. "Very attractive."

Mai's eyes widened as she sat up straight with crossed legs. "You're joking right?"

Zuko's eyes were squinted. "My scars… They erhm."

Mai was gaping. It was true. Zuko had a lot of scars across his body. Some looked like they came from cuts others from burns. Of course, by far the biggest one was the one on his face. They had never really talked about it though. Mai had kind of gathered that Zuko didn't want to talk about it and honestly she had never really cared.

Then Mai swallowed as she tried to figure a way to address this. "Zuko… The reason I am looking is that I think you're super hot."

"Wha-what?!" Zuko yelped.

"You're my boyfriend and I think you're really hot!" Mai proclaimed loudly.

Suddenly the water around Zuko started to steam and Mai blinked as the steam was rising obscuring Zuko's upper body and face.

"Well I guess that's one solution," Mai commented as the steam finally lifted showing Zuko was now so far below water that only half his face was visible and he seemed to be breathing through his nose as his mouth was under the water.

Mai shook her head. "At a later time when we don't need to be on a lookout. I'll definitely join you for a swim," she said. "And I wasn't messing around. Promise! I think you're super hot."

Zuko's mouth remained underwater. Probably an excuse so he didn't have to speak. Mai smirked as she turned around and now sat with her back to Zuko with crossed legs.

For a while, Mai sat there while giving Zuko some privacy while still keeping guard then though suddenly the sound changed and Zuko let out a yelp.

"ZUKO!" Mai turned to see Zuko almost trip, only for him to stand up but clearly had to use more energy on just standing.

His eyes were wide. "The current is suddenly getting stronger." Zuko gasped. "How is that even possible? It's not raining!"

"I don't know but get out of there," Mai asked and Zuko nodded as he walked towards Mai only for the water to hit him again and Zuko almost fell. Mai gasped but then Zuko came again and Mai reached forward a hand that Zuko finally grabbed and Mai pulled him up, only for both to look at the waters that had suddenly become much more treacherous.

"Okay that's weird," Zuko said and Mai nodded. Then glanced at Zuko, the very naked Zuko and Zuko's eyes widened.

Mai grinned as she turned her head away. "Yup. Super hot," she stated.

Zuko didn't reply but moved towards where his clothes were laid out and Mai grinned.

 


 

As soon as Zuko had gotten dressed again and strapped his blades back on his back. Mai and Zuko started to follow the river upstream, mystified over the continuously stronger current.

Suddenly they saw a big stream of the water just raise into the air in front of them and Mai and Zuko halted, then they rushed through the trees and stopped until finally, they saw two kids, making bending movements and making more water come out of the ground in big streams.

One was a girl wearing blue, the water bender from the market. And the other was of course the Avatar. Looked like he was using water bending as well.

Zuko and Mai both blinked.

"What are they doing?" Mai whispered.

"I don't know," Zuko replied back. "Filling up the river with more water… For some reason."

The two were quiet.

"Maybe there are fields up ahead that need extra water?" Zuko suggested.

Mai frowned deeply. "I doubt it. But… if we follow the stream this time we might be able to see what's up."

And Zuko nodded as they both moved back the way they had come and now ran the other way following the stream.

They had to keep running for about twenty minutes but finally, Zuko and Mai reached a point where the water seemed to stop except.

"It's a dam!" Zuko shouted.

And Mai looked down. Far below them on the other side of the dam. "There's someone down there!" she pointed as true enough.

There were people, using a carriage to transport some sort of barrels.

Mai squinted her eyes as he looked down. "What's that they are transporting?" he asked.

Zuko frowned. He looked at the dam structure where water pressure was building up, then if he kept looking forward. It was the town. Below them and not far from them then he gasped. "They… They are going to blow up the dam!"

"What?" Mai asked.

"What else could it be?!" Zuko exclaimed. "Why else build up this water pressure?!" Then he turned ghostly pale. "THEY'LL KILL THE ENTIRE TOWN!"

Both looked horrified and Zuko hissed as he stood up. His fists now starting to glow, burn. "If I just hit them right," he said.

"ZUKO NO!" Mai screamed. "There's blasting jelly down there! One spark and the entire dam goes!"

"Shit!" Zuko hissed. "We gotta get down there!" and Mai nodded.

"What do you think you two are doing?" A voice asked and both Zuko and Mai turned as they gasped.

"Jet." Zuko gasped and true enough. It was Jet, looking pissed.

"Ash maker scum." Jet commented and then spat out his straw. "You're not going to stop us now!"

"You are willing to just kill everyone?!" Zuko exclaimed.

"THAT'S STOLEN LAND!" Jet shouted as he pointed at the town below them. "I am just setting things right. And you won't get any further than this," he stated as he pulled out his swords.

Zuko hissed as he pulled out his own. "Mai get down there. I'll handle Jet."

And Mai nodded. "Take care," she stated as she grabbed a rock and jump. Jet seethed as he launched for her only to be blocked by Zuko.

"No you don't." Zuko seethed. "You're dealing with me!"

"I'll take you out quick." Jet seethed and Zuko kicked him back and then stood.

Zuko huffed. And then… Slowly he put his blades back in their holsters on his back and Jet frowned.

Only for Zuko to yell as he send a fireball right at Jet and Jet gasped as he barely managed to dodge and Zuko roared as he came for him, sending fireball after fireball and Jet gasped.

Then he silenced. His eyes had turned dark, they almost looked black as Jet looked at Zuko. "Fire bender…" he whispered. "murderer."

"That's rich." Zuko snorted. "You're trying to murder an entire god damn town you lunatic!"

And Jet roared as he came for Zuko. But now suddenly everything was different, Jet's eyes, his entire being seemed different as there was no holding back, only animal noises and he roared and as Jet managed to come to close Zuko pulled out his blades again and blocked as he hissed.

This had to end… now.

 


 

As Zuko fought he switched between fire bending and swords depending on how close Jet was. Jet had clearly lost all control and Zuko roared as Jet came for him.

Finally, Zuko managed to get behind Jet. Trip him and grab his arms as he was on the ground. "It's over." Zuko hissed. "Jet!"

Just then suddenly a water whip slammed against Zuko and he fell back.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" A young water bender suddenly screamed and Zuko's eyes widened as a young water bender and an avatar came.

"YOU AGAIN!" The Avatar shouted.

"Help me!" Jet yelled from the ground. "THAT GUY IS FIRE NATION!"

"Are you sure?" The avatar asked. "Sokka said he was some sort of bounty hunter but looked like he was against the fire nation."

Jet seethed but the water bender girl was taking a stance. "What do you want with Jet?!" she asked Zuko directly.

"That guy is about to murder an entire town!" Zuko shouted pointing at Jet. "Give him to me! I'll hand him over to the authorities so he can go to a prison where he belongs!"

"How would he murder a town?" Katara asked in a snort. "You're just trying to cash in his bounty!"

"JUST STAY OUT OF IT!" Zuko roared as he came running again. But suddenly, a huge gust of wind came and send Zuko flying straight into the water where he landed in a huge splash. Barely did Zuko manage to break the surface before the water rose by itself and took Zuko with it and he yelled. "YOU FOOLS!" he shouted. "I should have known! YOU GUYS ONLY CARE ABOUT YOURSELF!" he shouted. "YOU'LL PAY FOR THIS!" he roared but was sent down the river with the water, unable to get out.

 


 

Katara was shocked over what she had just done. She had sent that boy down the river… He might even drown. And she gasped as she covered her mouth.

Jet groaned as he stood up. "You did the right thing Katara," he assured. "Ash makers deserve to die."

Katara halted and she turned to Jet. "What?" she asked.

Jet smiled at her. "Like I told you. We are liberating the earth kingdom," he stated. "Starting with this colony. It's the first step."

Katara and Aang were too stunned for words.

"You mean…" Aang gasped. "He… He was telling the truth!"

"Please understand," Jet asked. "It's what we have to do. It's war."

 


 

Zuko groaned deeply as he laid flat on his stomach, washed up on shore. He coughed up the water and then looked up. He had to get back… He had to stop Jet.

That was when Zuko heard it. A whistle, that sounded like a bird followed by… The worst sound Zuko had ever heard in his life. A massive boom. And the power itself threw Zuko back. But that wasn't what was on his mind. Zuko was merely thrown back and rolled around but then the water was let loose and he screamed. "MAI!" Mai was down there. Not Mai. "NOOOOO!" Zuko screamed as he ran to the edge desperately looking for a way down.

No… No no no. Please Agni no! "MAAAAAAI!" Zuko screamed too panicked to think of anything else.

Zuko had to run until he found a place that had vines where Zuko could grab the vines and lower himself down.

Even then though Zuko was in a panic and almost slipped multiple times, the last bit Zuko just jumped and then he started to follow the water flow as he screamed. "MAAAAI! Mai please! MAI!" he cried. "MAAAAAI!"

"Zu… Zuko."

Wide-eyed Zuko turned and saw a drenched, disheveled, and beaten up Mai. Looking worse for wear but alive and Zuko gasped.

"MAI!" Zuko shouted as he ran straight for her and hugged Mai tight in an embrace. "Oh thank Agni! Thank Agni!" he cried.

Mai's lip quivered and she hugged Zuko back. "I… I'm sorry. I couldn't stop them." she sniffed. "I wasn't fast enough. I beat the children back but I didn't manage to move the barrels. They used a fire arrow. I'm so sorry."

"It's okay. It's okay! As long as you are safe." Zuko gasped as he grabbed Mai's face and held it. "Are you hurt? Do you need to see a doctor? Are you okay?"

Mai nodded as she sniffed and then hugged Zuko again and Zuko held her tight.

Just then, high above them. A big flying animal flew above them and Zuko swallowed… There was the Avatar. Leaving chaos behind once again. And the anger burned in Zuko.

It kept burning in Zuko as he took Mai's hand and guided her back towards the town. Maybe there were survivors. Maybe they needed help.

And their Khomodo Rhino's would be there too… If they had survived.

As they arrived though Zuko halted as a large group of people were gathered outside of the destroyed town looking at it. And they seemed… All right.

One turned and looked at them then gasped. "You're okay too! Thank Agni!"

Zuko gaped. "You're all alright?!" he asked. "How."

An old woman stepped forward. "The Avatar's friend warned us," she informed. "And flew the oldest away on their flying bison."

Zuko blinked. "The Avatars friend…. Saved you?" he asked.

And everyone nodded as they smiled.

Zuko blinked. "I don't understand… I'm confused."

"Does it matter right now?" Mai asked as she held Zuko's arm holding it tightly as if she was afraid of letting go.

Zuko looked down. "No… You're right," he whispered. "The important thing is that people are safe." he swallowed and everyone nodded just as a kid brought forward two Khomodo-Rhinos and Zuko sighed in relief.

Their two faithful companions were safe too. Thank Agni.

Though all Zuko had learned from this experience was that he really… really hated this stupid war. And he drew Mai in for a tight embrace. Just trying to get a bit of comfort while all the bigger and smaller consequences of a world of war was sinking in.

Also... Bison. The thing was a Bison! 

Chapter Text

The next day Zuko and Mai stuck around to help out. Finding more items that could be salvaged and packing up carriages.

Until the dam was fixed this place wasn't livable. It would only take a big rainstorm to flood the place again. So the townspeople had to go somewhere else for now. Maybe permanently.

Jet had gotten his way… The fire nation people were leaving.

Both Zuko and Mai could sense the people watching them as the townspeople were packing up.. Making sure they would indeed just leave no doubt and her hand squished around a dagger in her hand and they kept guard.

In the afternoon Zuko had walked towards the riverbank trying to see if he could catch some fish for dinner. Everyone was kind of low on food right now and things like rice and dried fruit should be saved for the travel when they couldn't just go fish.

That's when Zuko heard a noise in the bushes, and he managed to duck aside just as Jet came jumping with both swords out.

Zuko huffed. "Aren't you done yet?" he asked. "We're leaving already!"

Jet pointed a sword at Zuko. "Fire bender…" he gasped. An odd look in his eyes. He looked. Utterly mad. "Stop laughing at me, ash maker!"

Zuko frowned, he was clearly not laughing. But that didn't matter to Jet.

"I'll kill all of you." Jet gasped.

Zuko didn't move. Didn't move a single inch as Jet came running for him and then suddenly from the sidelines Mai jumped in. Grabbed Jet from behind and put a dagger to his throat as she seethed. "You tried to murder a town! Your biggest mistake though was trying to kill my guy!" she stated, her eyes almost as wild as Jet's. "You will not be laying another hand on him! Or anyone else!" she exclaimed her dagger lifting, ready for a real stab.

"Mai. Stop!" Zuko shouted.

Mai halted as she looked up. "This time we were so lucky no one died. He meant to kill," she informed. "If we let him go. He will kill someone. And at that time, we won't be around to stop it! And he'll be coming for us! For you! Now that he know's you're a fire bender!" she stated. "The bounty is dead or alive. This makes more sense," she informed and Jet hissed. "Let me do it," she asked. "Just go away. You don't have to see it. I'll handle this." 

Zuko shook his head. "We don't have to be like him," he said.

Mai quieted and Zuko looked up meeting Mai's eyes.

"We're handing him over to the authorities" Zuko informed. "Earth kingdom authorities. At least they should be kinder on him."

Mai spat. "It's more than he deserves. He wanted to kill you! From behind! That's beyond dishonorable. That's cowardly."

"I know," Zuko said. "We are giving him to the earth kingdom authorities. Alive." And Mai sighed.

Then she let go of Jet only to throw him on the ground and found the handcuffs. "You are lucky Jet," she informed. "If this had been up to me alone. You would never have gotten off this easy."

And there was no doubt at all… Mai meant that. She meant every word. She wouldn't have lost any sleep over taking this particular life.

Jet seethed from the ground as Mai cuffed him up and pulled Jet back up on his legs then pushed him back towards the destroyed town and past Zuko and Zuko swallowed.

And then as Zuko was left alone he exhaled deeply, feeling all the tension leave his body as he fell down on his knees.

 


 

That night Zuko and Mai bid farewell to the fire nation citizens so they could go search for an earth kingdom military base with Jet in tow.

They had to keep a constant guard while still being in this forest. Afraid that some freedom fighters would try to free Jet.

But surprisingly. No one came… Maybe Jet had gone too far even for them? Or maybe they just couldn't find them.

Finally though after a week they managed to find a military base and hand Jet over. And yes… he was also wanted by earth kingdom. For theft, vandalism, and general disruption of society.

Zuko was just glad to finally be rid of the fellow teen and honestly, he felt beyond exhausted that night.

Yet he couldn't sleep. He was just sitting on his bed pulling his leg up to his chest.

That is when Mai stepped into the room and looked at Zuko.

For a moment they looked at each other.

"Are you…." Mai hesitated. "Angry with me?"

"Angry with you?" Zuko asked. "Why would I be angry with you?"

"Because if it was up to me we would have killed Jet," Mai said.

Zuko looked down. "You were right though," he whispered. "You should be angry with me… I don't have the stomach to do that sort of thing. We are in the middle of the war and still I just… Can't do it. I'm the worst soldier ever." he hissed. "And now I put you in danger again! I almost lost you! And Jet is still alive so he might." he swallowed.

Mai gasped.

"I'm sorry Mai! I'm sorry I couldn't let you do it!" Zuko sniffed.

"I'm glad you did that!" Mai exclaimed loudly. "I don't want you to be a soldier or be like me!" she shouted.

Wide-eyed Zuko looked up at Mai. "What?" he asked.

"I mean… I…" Mai looked down. "You shouldn't be like me," she said. "I'm glad you're not. I just… Feeling things is hard. It hurts a lot. So often it… It's easier to just. Not feel at all. But… I suppose that doesn't make it right."

Zuko swallowed. Lost for words. It was so rare to see Mai upset. She was always so cool. And many would say cold... Even Zuko had been fooled. But it was clear. What had happened had upset her too. At ones Zuko felt so guilty, it was so easy to assume Mai was so cool she could just handle everything. But she was like him. Just a teen whom was trying to figure things out in her own way. And.... Deal with all of these beyond unfair things. 

"I'm sorry," Mai whispered.

Zuko shook his head. "You did nothing wrong," he assured.

"Didn't I?" Mai asked. "I guess... I am just so used to death that I sometimes forget there are other ways... Better ways."

Zuko looked at her then looked away. "I don't blame you," he assured.

"Then…. Why are you so worked up?" Mai asked.

"I don't know." Zuko sighed. "This is just so messed up. I actually see where Jet was coming from. What happened to him wasn't right! But the things he was doing weren't right either. And I just..."

Mai swallowed as she sat down on the edge of the bed. "Well... It's like you said isn't it? We don't have to be like him."

Zuko looked up at Mai meeting her eyes. "Something just… Feels wrong. Off somehow." he said.

Mai quieted for a bit, then finally crawled up on the bed, until she could finally sit next to Zuko also leaning up against the wall.

Zuko glanced at her, then swallowed before he reached out. And put his hand on top of hers. Making Mai glance at him.

"It's like I'm missing a piece." Zuko then said. "The Avatar… he… Erhm."

"Always about the Avatar isn't it?" Mai asked in a sigh as she leaned her head on Zuko's shoulder.

"I just can't shake this feeling. It's so weird." Zuko said. "But I don't want to put us in danger again like that. Put you in danger. What if I lost you?" he asked.

"What if I lost you?" Mai asked and Zuko's eyes widened in deep shock. 

For a moment Zuko looked shocked at Mai and then finally. Mai sighed deeply. "You can't even stop yourself. So don't bother," she asked. "I wish you would just ignore all of this. I wish we could just move on with our lives but… If you were that kind of person." she sighed deeply. "You wouldn't be you at all."

"I… I'm sorry." Zuko said honestly.

"You are a better person than I am," Mai commented.

"That's not true!" Zuko exclaimed. "I'm not I…"

Mai looked down. "You are," she said. "I've known for a long time."

And Zuko swallowed. Slowly Mai lifted her head and their eyes met. Then slowly they both leaned over and kissed before they retrieved and Zuko put his hand to Mai's cheek.

"Thank you for putting up with me," he whispered.

"Well, you are a pain in the ass that's true," Mai said then leaned over so she could rest on Zuko. "But I don't want you to change… Ever. So… It is what it is I guess."

Zuko swallowed as he wrapped his arms around her and held her. "I love you Mai," he said.

"I love you too Zuko." Mai replied in a sleepy voice and Zuko smiled. At least feeling a little bit better.

Chapter Text

For the next couple of days, what might even be over a week. Zuko and Mai were moving across the wastelands of the earth kingdom riding their Khomodo-Rhinos while going north.

The direction Iroh had predicted the Avatar was going, and Zuko had to agree. While the Avatar's movements had often been erratic. They had indeed consistently been moving north way.

The mood… Wasn't great. It was heavy and quite tense. Sometimes Zuko and Mai would just hold hands while riding for long stretches. And as they slept they would often hold each other as if scared that the other would be hurt when they woke up.

A late evening Mai had gone to bed first and as Zuko crawled into the tent she was already fast asleep.

Zuko halted as he glanced down at Mai's sleeping frame. Her black hair was loose and elegantly fanning over the pillow and her thin pale shoulder was visible over the blanket.

When awake… Mai seemed so strong. Now though… She looked so thin and vulnerable. She was beautiful and sleeping in a tent out in the middle of nowhere.

Zuko swallowed as he gently grabbed the blanket and lifted it over Mai's shoulder gently tugging her in. Then bowed over and kissed her on the cheek. Blushing slightly as if Zuko was doing something he wasn't allowed to.

Even though he knew Mai didn't mind at all. And then he laid down next to her, putting an arm around Mai as Zuko closed his eyes and slowly drifted off to sleep.

 


 

"I know what you are." Jet informed in a smile as he was sitting on a big branch next to Zuko. "You are like me!"

Zuko blinked as he tilted his head looking at the fellow teen right next to him.

"It's all on your face." Jet said looking so at ease, and so friendly. "How the fire nation hurt you…. That's what they do, isn't it? Hurt people… Kill people."

Zuko lowered his head then glanced in front of him, seeing the green massive forest in front of them. It was beautiful. Green. Filled with life.

"You are like me." Jet continued. "A bloody survivor! …. I was the only one who survived. When they burned my village."

Zuko glanced at Jet and Jet looked down.

"I remember… They blocked the door to our house. My parents were in there and I heard their shout." Jet said. "Please let us out… That's what my parents were yelling. And what did the soldiers do? They laughed. One said 'just wait until they see what comes next' and then… A fire bender did his thing. Set the house on fire… I heard my parents scream. I tried to run over there to get them out but the soldiers held me back. That's how I got this." he gestured at his arm now covered by a sleeve but Zuko had seen the scar under it.

Then Zuko noticed the beautiful green forest in front of them. It was on fire. It was burning.

"Fire… That's all I remember after that. So much fire." Jet whispered. "The whole village on fire… It was everywhere. And the smell of burnt flesh. I will never forget it."

Zuko's eyes widened as he saw it, the flames rising. Consuming everything and he heard the screams as well as he felt the pain on his face and he screamed as he held his face. "IT HURTS! IT BURNS!"

"Yes." Jet said in a cold voice. "It does… What does it feel like? Ash maker!" he exclaimed and then pushed Zuko who screamed as he fell down and into the roaring flames that swallowed everything.

A cold stone hall… The wind went through the ancient temple and Zuko looked up to see old stone structures that had not been lived in. For a hundred years.

Then Zuko turned his head and saw…. A skeleton. A small skeleton laying on the ground. The flesh long since gone. On the walls, there were sod marks, even after all this time…. And old burned wooden structures. Utterly destroyed."

Then Zuko moved forward only to see more of them, pressed against the wall. Some were entangled as if they had hugged each other upon their death and then…. Zuko halted.

There was a boy in front of him. He was wearing orange and had a bald head with a blue tattoo on it. Zuko gasped… The avatar.

"I just lost consciousness." The boy said. "Next thing I know it's a hundred years later."

Zuko gasped as he saw… A lonesome air bender. The last one… The only one…. They killed everyone. Every single one. "Do you… Want revenge?" he asked. "Is that why you're…"

The boy kept standing with a bowed head.

Jet was looming in the shadows. Revenge… That's what he wanted. That was all that mattered to him.

Yet the boy kept standing there, his back still to Zuko, and Zuko gasped.

Then slowly, slowly the Avatar turned around and finally lifted his head looking at Zuko with wide innocent eyes and Zuko gasped.

There was nothing else. Just the two of them standing face to face and slowly Zuko reached a hand for him.

The boy didn't move though and then slowly, he started to morph. Grow taller, his hair long and white, wearing an old golden hair piece, and suddenly… It was Avatar Roku. Standing right in front of Zuko.

Zuko gasped as he looked at the old man. "I…" he gasped. "I… Know you." he blinked. But… How?

Then the image changed and the young boy was back again wide-eyed looking at Zuko.

"The Avatar…." Zuko breathed.

 


 

As Mai woke in the morning. There was no Zuko next to her. That wasn't unusual, he was usually the first to wake up. It was sort of a fire bender thing that fire benders would be highly affected by the sun and the sunrise woke them up no matter how early it was.

The nice thing was that since Zuko was usually the one up first. He would usually also have tea and breakfast ready for Mai as she got up and true enough. The scent of tea and some jock was wafting through the air making Mai smile as she crawled out of the tent only to halt as she saw Zuko sitting with his back to her, crossed legs and facing the sun.

Mai frowned. "Zuko?" she asked. "Are you okay?"

"I…" Zuko halted. "I had a really weird dream this night."

Mai blinked. "Okay. Do you want to talk about it?" she asked.

Zuko sighed. "I don't know… I just… this feeling I had. It keeps coming back and now I can't help but think." he swallowed. "What we're doing now it… It has a much greater effect than just us," he said. "It has to do with the Avatar and… What we do. It might affect the entire world."

Mai halted. "The world?" she asked.

Zuko was quiet.

Mai groaned. "Since when has the entire bloody world become our business?" she asked. Then sighed deeply as she rubbed her forehead.

"But… If we can change the world. Make it better. Shouldn't we at least try?" Zuko asked.

"How exactly do you intend to change the world?!" Mai asked. "By capturing the Avatar?"

Zuko lowered his head. "I'm not sure yet," he admitted. "But… I think it does have something to do with him. I think…. I need to learn more." he frowned deeply. "Something still doesn't fit!" he said.

Mai sighed deeply then sat beside Zuko. "Well. You know I am with you," she said. "Just you know… Don't get hurt."

And Zuko smirked. "Thanks Mai," he said. "Seriously."

"Well, it's why I am here," Mai said as she kissed Zuko then sat back. "No what's for breakfast?"

"I think I managed not to burn it this time," Zuko said shyly. "I hope."

Mai shook her head. "I'm sure it's fine," she assured in a small chuckle and Zuko blushed. He had kind of ruined a lot of rice by burning them. But he was getting better at it… hopefully.

Chapter Text

It all started while Zuko and Mai were shopping at a small fishing village, located right at the coast.

The weather that day was beautiful. The sky was bright blue, the sun was shining. And the lady at her vegetable stand was sneezing loudly and then started coughing into her sleeve.

Mai wrinkled her nose as the woman wiped her nose in her own sleeve. "What?" The woman asked annoyed.

"You do know you shouldn't handle food while sick right?" Mai asked.

"I need to earn a living don't I?" The woman asked. "So do you want to buy something or not?"

Mai looked down at all of the fruits and vegetables in front of her, some of them looking… A bit more squishy than what was normal. "I think I'll pass." she finally stated.

"Then stop taking up space!" The woman huffed. "Get out of here." and she coughed again, this time not managing to lift her hand and was coughing out into the air.

Mai rolled her eyes but was more than happy to just get out of there and approached Zuko instead who was picking up packages of biscuits.

"There really isn't anything here," Mai commented. "We should just move on."

Zuko nodded. "Yeah." he agreed and he looked up. "The weather seems really great. We should be able to get quite far today."

Indeed… The weather had looked so great when Mai and Zuko left the fishing town on their Khomodo Rhinos, however. That changed so fast that it was unbelievable.

As Zuko and Mai had gotten far into the woods, suddenly the sky was semi-dark covered by big dark clouds. Then the rain came, first it was light, but then it became so heavy that it drenched both Zuko and Mai in a second, and then the winds came. The storm.

Zuko and Mai both had to hold tight to their Khomodo-Rhinos so they wouldn't fall, and the Khomodo-Rhinos were clearly struggling while the trees all looked like they were about to be torn out of the ground.

"MAAAAI!" Zuko screamed over the storm. "WE HAVE TO FIND SHELTER!"

Mai nodded. But had to keep her head down from the harsh rain.

Zuko hissed. This was bad… They were in the middle of the forest. Should they turn around or just hope shelter was closer if they continued forward? They decided to keep going forward as there were rock formations on the horizon, but even that took way too long for Zuko's liking.

Thankfully though, once they reached the rocks they also found a cave providing them shelter from the rain.

They were drenched…. And Mai was shivering as she was wrapping her arms around herself.

Zuko didn't even hesitate to start a fire and then turned to Mai who was still just sitting in her wet clothes. "Are you okay?" Zuko asked worriedly.

"Co-Cold." Mai shivered.

"You need to get out of that clothes. I'll find you a blanket." Zuko said as he headed for the khomodo-Rhinos and dug through the saddlebags to find their blankets… they were a bit damp but it was easily fixed with a little fire bending technique that didn't burn but only warmed.

Then Zuko turned to Mai who had taken off the outer layers of her dress and was now down to her small black strap underdress.

"Here." Zuko wrapped the warmed up blanket around Mai's shoulders then moved to Mai's front and took her hand. It was ice cold in Zuko's hands and he started to rub them to get them warm.

Mai smiled even as her lip was shivering. "Damn you fire benders are lucky that you never even have to freeze."

"Actually it was Uncle who taught me this breath of fire technique," Zuko admitted. "I don't think Azula knows how to do it."

"Huh." Mai blinked.

"Uncle always taught me how I needed to focus on my breath." Zuko then continued telling. "Unlike the fire bending instructors in the palace who were all about the power of the kicks and hits."

Mai nodded thoughtfully then curled together under the blanket.

"Do you… Want me to hold you?" Zuko asked.

Mai nodded. "Yes please," she asked.

Zuko nodded as he moved behind Mai. Lifted the blanket a bit so they could share it and he was now behind her while breathing his breath of fire warming both of them up and slowly Mai relaxed in his arms.

 


 

The next morning the air was damp from the night's heavy rain, but things definitely seemed a lot better.

That though, was when Mai started to cough. It was just a slight cough in her sleeve and Zuko looked worried at her.

"It's nothing," Mai assured. "Probably just the rain from yesterday."

"Maybe… We should head back towards the town." Zuko said. "Just in case."

"It's fine," Mai assured as she mounted her Khomodo-Rhino.

Zuko hesitated for a bit but then followed her example.

As they continued to ride Mai continue to occasionally cough, but kept insisting it was nothing at all. Zuko frowned, as the sun was setting again Mai's coughs had grown more frequent and as they stopped for the night Mai had developed a fever.

Zuko frowned deeply as he looked at Mai's red face. "We need to look for a town," he said.

"It's just a cold," Mai said.

Zuko smirked. "If the roles had been reversed you would have been dragging my ass to a doctor," he said.

Mai glared at Zuko and Zuko smiled amused. Then his smile faltered. "You need to rest. I'll figure out where the nearest town is," he said as he pulled out a map from his bag and rolled it out only to frown.

They were a long way away from any town. The closest settlement seemed to be… The Pohaui stronghold. A Fire nation military stronghold and Zuko frowned deeply.

That place probably would have medical supplies but it was not ideal. It would be better with a regular town of some kind… But they seemed to be as far away from the last town as they were from the next one. They might as well continue forward though… It would take at least another two full days to reach civilization again. No matter what way they went and Zuko sighed deeply.

 


 

The next day was bad. Mai's fever had developed from a small fever into a high one. A very high one and now she was coughing in a way that sounded very painful.

Zuko swallowed as he did his best trying to brew tea for her. The kind Uncle had taught him was good for a sore throat. But it was hard to tell if it helped any as Mai was often mumbling incoherent words.

"Stop playing around Ty Lee." Mai croaked in a hoarse voice.

"It's going to be okay," Zuko whispered as he put a hand under Mai's head and put the teacup to her lips. "Drink this. It should help."

And Mai drank. That was one thing, her thirst didn't seem to know any end. She was constantly thirsty and would drink any tea or water Zuko offered her.

Then Zuko put a hand on Mai's forehead. "You're getting even warmer." he hissed. "This is bad… you need medicine."

"Azula looks like a bunny," Mai commented.

"Okay. This is really… really bad." Zuko gasped then he swallowed. "Mai listen. I'm going to go get some medicine for you okay?" he asked. "Just hang on and I'll come back as quick as possible." he swallowed. The Pohau stronghold was risky but he had to run the chance… Mai needed help.

Mai didn't reply at all, her eyes were already closed and her breaths deep. Zuko swallowed as he removed any saddlebags from his own Khomodo-Rhino so she wouldn't be weighed down and mounted her.

With a last regretful look at Mai Zuko turned around and kicked his Khomodo-Rhino to gallop as fast as he could. Hang on Mai! I'll get you what you need!

 


 

Zuko hissed, he had been forced to jump off his Khomodo-Rhino as they had reached a swamp that seemed to surround the Pohau-Stronghold and he now had to pull his stead after him. Dammit! To top it off things were freezing out here and Zuko had to use his breath of fire again to keep himself warm while he was ankle deep in swampy frozen waters while the fog was all around him obscuring Zuko's vision.

This is not what Zuko needed! He needed medicine he needed… Suddenly Zuko halted. Something was moving next to him. Something wearing… Orange.

Wide-eyed Zuko turned his head and there of all things was the avatar himself. Bowing down and picking up a frozen frog.

Then… the avatar halted. He froze and then turned to Zuko only to gape. "YOU?!" he shouted.

Zuko gasped as he let go of his Khomodo-Rhino and pulled his swords again. "Avatar!" he gasped.

"Wow! Wait-wait!" The young boy shouted as he held up his hands. One still holding a frog. "I don't want to fight you!"

Zuko's eyes narrowed. Then he hissed. "Well good! I don't have time for you right now," he stated as he turned.

"WAIT A SECOND!" The Avatar shouted and Zuko hissed as he turned back.

"What?!" he exclaimed. "I'm pretty busy right now!"

The Avatar swallowed. "Your name is… Lee… right?" he asked. "That's what Sokka said."

Zuko halted then nodded. "Yeah."

"I just." The avatar swallowed. "I'm really sorry I didn't believe you… About Jet," he said and Zuko's eyes widened. "What he did… It was… just awful. I should have stopped it. I'm really sorry." he sniffed. He sounded honestly very upset and his large grey eyes looked outright misty.

Zuko halted, he looked at Aang again his eyes slightly wide.

"I erh." Aang swallowed. "Lately I have been sort of… Dreaming about you."

"Erhm… Thanks. I guess?" Zuko frowned confused. "But I already have a girlfriend so."

"Not like that!" The Avatar exclaimed. "It's more like… I'm the bridge to the spirit world you know. And sometimes I have dreams that are actually… Messages from the spirits. Or my past lives. This sort of felt like that." his head tilted. "You're important somehow. Or at least… I think that's what they are trying to tell me."

Zuko blinked. "Eeerh." he tried, suddenly his throat feeling a bit constricted. "That's… I'm not important," he assured the young boy. "I'm just… You know. A bounty hunter!" he proclaimed, suddenly sweating a little bit.

"I don't think it's a coincidence that we met." The young Avatar finally stated. "I think… The two of us. We need to talk."

Zuko groaned deeply. "Look. That all sounds very nice and all but I seriously don't have time! April is really sick and I need to get her some help!"

The Avatar gaped. "April is that girl you're with right?"

"YES!" Zuko exclaimed. "She's my girlfriend! And she's super sick! So if you don't mind I have to go!"

"Does she have a really high fever?!" The Avatar asked. "And is she coughing a lot! And constantly thirsty! And rambling nonsense."

Zuko halted. He gaped. "How did you know that?" he asked.

"Sokka and Katara have the same thing!" The Avatar gasped. "That's what I need these for!" he shouted holding up the frozen frog. "The frogs can help them!" he beamed offering the frog to Zuko.

Zuko gaped. "You mean?" he asked.

The Avatar grinned. "It sure is good we ran into each other! Here!" he kept offering the frog to Zuko. "This should cure the illness!"

Zuko halted, then slowly he stepped forward as the young boy was grinning and smiling just holding up the frog… could this really… Help Mai? Zuko hesitated. But then finally reached for the frog and then an arrow came and shot right between them.

Zuko gasped as jumped backward and the young avatar jumped the other way only for a rain of arrows to go after the avatar.

Zuko didn't waste any time while their attackers were clearly focused on the Avatar. And he grabbed a branch to pull himself up into hiding in a tree. Only to see the avatar become overwhelmed by the Yuyan archers and then…

Who else… Fucking Zhao.

Agni dammit!

Zhao was all smirks at the young Avatar was now pinned to a tree with arrows and he hissed.

"Well. Look what I caught." Zhao was smirking, showing that shit eating grin of his.

The Avatar hissed. "You won't get away with this. Commander Zhao!"

"Actually. It's Admiral Zhao now." Zhao informed looking as smug and slimy as ever. "And. I do believe I will get away with it. After all. I am in charge of capturing the avatar." He grinned and then casually nodded his head. "Knock him out," he ordered and a soldier stepped forward and beat the Avatar over the head while Zuko's forehead fell down on the branch in front of him.

Admiral… Zhao had become Admiral now?

Urgh that tasted bad in Zuko's mouth…. And now what. So these frogs could help Mai? Well, how? What did he need to do with them? Boil them? Cut them up? Make them into a stew?

And just asking the Pohaui stronghold for medicine was not an option now. Zhao was there… Fuck. And Zuko looked up as a group of soldiers was now dragging an unconscious Avatar away and that made Zuko's stomach twist too.

The mere idea of Zhao being allowed to present the Avatar to Ozai as if it was his catch?!

Hell no! Even if it wasn't for the medicine and even if it wasn't because the Avatar was Zuko's ticket to be heard.

Just to prevent Zhao from getting such a win would be worth it!

There really was no way around this and Zuko groaned… he had to bust the Avatar out.

Chapter Text

Zuko sighed deeply. What he hated the most was that he had to leave Mai alone…. Again.

She was not looking well. Her face was flushed red and her coughs sounded so bad and Zuko swallowed as he was sitting next to her inside of their tent that offered shelter from any potential rain or wind.

"Here. Drink this." Zuko whispered as he put yet another cup of tea to Mai's lips. "This is ginger tea with honey. Uncle always made it for me when I was sick. It should be good for colds and sore throats."

And Mai drank, with an incredible thirst. Like she hadn't just emptied out three cups of water… She probably needed it. Mai was drenched in her own sweat making her clothes and hair damp.

"I filled up all our bottles with water. They are right next to you." Zuko pointed for Mai. "And if you can eat anything. This is the biscuits and dried fruits we have." he gestured at a big bag next to her. "Just hold on okay. I'll get you what you need all right?" he asked. Then leaned over and kissed Mai on her forehead. "Hold on, please. I love you," he whispered.

And then reached up, grabbing the blanket, making sure Mai was tugged in as good as she could be. A pillow under her head and with a last regretful look Zuko crawled out of the tent. Closing it after him.

Then Zuko stood up and he exhaled deeply. He wasn't wearing his normal earth kingdom clothes now, but more form fitting clothes in black that were just easier to move around in, and less likely to be caught on branches or nails. For some bounty hunts, this set of clothes had been quite useful.

He had his dual blades on his back and… Zuko swallowed as he grabbed a blue mask. The one he had bought at the harbor market where he had first run into the Avatar.

The grinning face of the dark water spirit and Zuko sighed as he placed the mask over his face, and then he was off. Time was of the essence!

 


 

By the time Zuko reached the Pohaui stronghold the sun had begun to set and dusk had begun but it wasn't enough.

This was one of the greatest strongholds the fire nation had. Famous for the Yuyan archers who never missed a target. And no doubt the young Avatar would be heavily guarded.

If Zuko got caught. All would be lost. It wasn't only his own life on the line… But Mai's… She needed him.

And so Zuko armed himself with patience as he waited for the darkness to set.

The stronghold itself was built so it was shielded from natural mountains at the back, thus the only way in and out was from the front where a massive wall was stretching towards the sky, and there were guard towers where Yuyan eyes would be stationed. They were known for their amazing eyes, even in the darkness, they would aim for any movement.

Climbing the walls wasn't an option. It had to be the gate. It was the only way in.

And Zuko waited… Waited patiently for someone to come and open the gates for him. Zuko was in luck as a group of soldiers with a Khomodo-Rhino pulled wagon came and Zuko rolled under the wagon and grabbed on from below. Then held on underneath while the wagon got inside. And as they moved past another shadow, a darker spot, Zuko rolled out again to hide behind a few crates and he glanced over the crates to see a larger plaza where soldiers were walking back and forth.

Fire nation banners were flying in the wind and there was an extra special banner up… True enough signaling the presence of an admiral or general. The highest two ranks within the fire nation army.

An Admiral the highest rank you could have on sea. And a General the highest rank you could have on land and well…. Zhao belonged to the sea so… Great. He really was an admiral now. As if his ego wasn't already big enough.

Zuko sighed deeply. But Zhao was a good soldier. There was no denying that. He got things done. No matter what it took. And would never back down from a mission. Zhao would rather die than come crawling back in failure. That was why Ozai favored him.

Zuko waited for his moment and finally moved along the shadows until he found a window leading to a dark room, no light from that room and Zuko slipped inside.

Now…. Zuko had to figure out where they kept the Avatar. Obviously, the one place that would be guarded the heaviest.

Tower or basement?

The Avatar was an air nomad and so far looked like he was only using air bending so… Basement. Aim for the basement.

Zuko kept moving alongside the shadows and avoided any footsteps that sounded down the hallway. He looked for a way going down and finally found it.

And then Zuko found a long cold hallway, seemingly leading to nothing but a door… A guarded door. Which meant it was leading to something. Something important.

This was it.

Zuko kept in the shadows, then grabbed a stone and threw it.

A guard startled then looked at his partner and slowly started to move towards the sound of the stone. Ready for Zuko to take out. The other guard was just about to yell but didn't get the time as Zuko was over him too and silently and swiftly all the guards were taken out and Zuko kicked open the door see quite a sight.

It was the young Avatar… Just a kid. Chained up on both hands and legs, suspended in the middle of the room. And then the avatar looked up, and his eyes landed on Zuko and they widened in horror.

Slowly Zuko started to move forward towards the Avatar and the young kid gasped, he tried to move his head backward. Away from Zuko. But he was chained up and thus couldn't move. Clearly, he was scared beyond belief. Zuko took another step and then halted as he realized, he had almost stepped on a frog and then he realized. There were half-frozen frogs all across the floor trying to get away.

Zuko looked up at the Avatar who kept leaning away from him, tears in his eyes. His small body shook like a leaf.

Then Zuko reached up and removed the mask. "Relax it's me," he whispered.

The Avatar's eyes widened as he looked up and he gaped. "Lee?"

"Sssh." Zuko hushed him. "I'm getting you out. But you have to work with me here. Okay?" he asked.

The Avatar swallowed. Then nodded and Zuko moved towards him with his swords and in a few precise cuts. The chains were cut and the Avatar fell down on the ground.

"Come on!" Zuko hissed as he grabbed the kid's arm and pulled him out. "We need to get out! Now!"

"Wait! The frogs!" The Avatar gasped.

"Leave them. We'll get more outside." Zuko hissed. "Having living creatures with us making noise is too dangerous," he informed as he replaced his mask.

The Avatar halted then looked up at Zuko. "Why are you helping me?" he asked.

Zuko sighed deeply. "I need you to tell me just how I can help April with those frogs. It's really bad," he admitted.

"Oh. She needs to suck on them while they are frozen. It won't work once they have thawed." The Avatar informed.

Zuko barely kept himself from groaning. That was it? That could have been fixed so quickly and she could have been better already.

"I also really hate Zhao." Zuko then admitted. "So this doesn't mean we're friends."

"Oh." The Avatar looked down. "Zhao is pretty awful though isn't he?" he tried in a joking smile, but it faltered quickly as Zuko didn't respond. "I'm Aang… By the way… My name. It's not just Avatar."

Zuko rolled his eyes. "Whatever! Come on!"

 


 

Together Zuko and Aang managed to move through the underground water tunnels of the stronghold. At least Aang seemed to be smart enough to just keep quiet and understand simple hand gestures.

Finally, they jumped up and reached the wall… The Yuyan archers would be looking outwards not in. They could climb the wall and once they were on the other side they would be in the clear.

And so Zuko grabbed a rope and started climbing, quickly followed by the avatar. Their climb was quick… They were almost there and then. The alarm bells rang, arrows came and one hit the rope Zuko and Aang were using cutting it and sending them both tumbling down on the ground.

Then suddenly all hell broke loose as archers, sword fighters and fire benders were all around them. Zuko hissed deeply.

Zhao already suspected that Zuko and Lee were the same. He could not use fire bending, it would give away his identity, and then Zhao's voice rung through the stronghold.

"CLOSE ALL THE GATES!"

The massive started closing and the Avatar gasped but Zuko was too occupied with defending himself, he had no time to run for the gates, and then they were closed.

Aang yelled as he grabbed Zuko and then used air bending throwing him up on the first wall and then followed and what followed was a long fight for their lives. Zuko and Aang constantly saving each other back and moving forward but then… They were in front of the last gate. Bigger than the others. And it was closed… While they were surrounded.

And then multiple fire benders came at ones and shot fire at them. Zuko gasped, he was just about to shield but Aang stepped in front and blocked the fire himself using wind.

"HOLD THE FIRE!" a big shout suddenly came and the fire stopped. Only for the voices owner to step forward. Zhao… An angry look in his eyes as he was almost sneering. "The Avatar must be captured alive!"

And that's when an idea occurred to Zuko. He pulled out his swords and then put them to Aang's throat in a deadlock… one movement. And Aang would die.

The message was clear from the gesture alone and Zhao huffed. He sneered. "Open the gate."

honestly… Zuko could not believe that had worked. But it did… And slowly. The gates started to open and Zuko… Zuko moved backward with Aang.

Slowly…. Slowly… Almost there. Suddenly they were outside of the stronghold, but still in range for the archers. And Zuko kept moving backward. Soon enough he would be free. Almost…

And then suddenly one arrow came sailing through the air. Zuko felt a pain in his head that felt like blinding white light and then… Everything was dark.

 


 

As Zuko was slowly waking up again, he was only semi-conscious as he groaned. He felt his own body being dragged by someone else. "Ava..tar?" he asked.

"April. Where is she?" Aang asked. "She needs help right?" he asked.

Zuko groaned deeply. His head hurt so much. "Up…. Upstream." Zuko groaned. "Tent." and then he lost consciousness again.

As Zuko woke again the cold light of morning was hitting him… The rising sun had woken him and he was leaning up against something big…. And soft. Zuko turned his head to see… a big flying bison and his eyes widened. Then he looked to his other side and saw Mai. She was laying right next to Zuko. Her face was deep red and she was sucking one of those frozen frogs.

Zuko gasped and then he heard a noise in front of him and he looked forward only to see the Avatar himself. Pulling down their tent.

"What… What are you doing?" Zuko asked in a weak voice.

"This place is going to be crawling with fire nation soldiers any moment." The Avatar said. "So I'm taking you two with me."

Zuko frowned deeply. "Why?" he asked.

The Avatar turned to him. "You… Saved me." he pointed out.

"Yeah but not because..." Zuko groaned deeply.

Aang swallowed. "I don't think you're a bad person," he said. "You tried to warn us about Jet… And before that. Well. You never actually hurt Sokka. He even told us you gave him water and made sure he wasn't hurt."

Zuko hissed. His head was seriously throbbing and he could barely even think.

"You're really hurt and she's sick. I'm not leaving you alone out here." Aang finally stated in a firm tone. "Especially not now when Zhao is clearly after you. What if he caught you?"

Zuko shivered.. Aang didn't even know half of it. Then he groaned deeply. "Sorry I… It's hard staying awake," he admitted.

"It's okay," Aang assured. "I won't hurt you. You're going to be okay."

And Zuko nodded as he groaned, and then fell asleep again.

Chapter Text

Only vaguely did Zuko notice he was flying. Probably that should have impressed him a lot more. But his head was killing him and Mai was still burning up while Zuko held her close in his arms as if to make sure she wouldn't fall off while they were so high in the air.

Eventually, they landed in some old ruins were true enough. The water tribe siblings were laying all wrapped up in sleeping bags looking just as bad as Mai had a mere half hour ago which meant… The frogs really were working.

With great difficulty did Zuko manage to get Mai down from the bison so she could lay down next to it and Zuko groaned deeply.

"How are you feeling?" Aang asked sounding honestly concerned.

"Like… I'm going to vomit." Zuko admitted true enough feeling both nauseous and dizzy by just standing up.

"Lay down," Aang asked. "I think it's pretty safe to say you have a concussion! No wonder when the arrow hit you hard enough in the head to knock you out. That's dangerous"

And Zuko groaned as he fell down in sitting position next to Mai and Aang headed over to his friends stuffing a frozen frog into each of their mouths

"Give me one of those," Zuko asked in a slur and Aang blinked.

"You mean a frog?" he asked and Zuko nodded. Aang shrugged and walked over to Zuko, putting one of the surplus frogs into his hand. Only for Zuko to stuff it into his mouth.

Aang blinked. "Errh… You don't have to do that you know."

"Don't I?" Zuko asked. "That sickness they all have is clearly extremely contagious. So isn't it better just to get on top of it? Just in case?"

"Oh. Right. Good idea." Aang nodded and found an extra frog and stuffed it into his own mouth. "Well, I guess I need to go back. See if I can herd your Khomodo-Rhinos over here too."

Zuko sighed deeply. His heart faltered. "Don't," he said. "It's like you said. That place is probably crawling with soldiers now and… They will have taken Lila and Daisy." he muttered.

"I… I'm sorry." Aang swallowed.

"It's… Okay." Zuko glanced away. "The fire nation military always take very good care of the Khomodo-rhinos and warhawks. They are considered military property and damaging them in any way can bring very severe punishments."

Aang blinked. "You know a lot about fire nation military," he observed.

"I'm a vigilante bounty hunter operating on often occupied lands," Zuko replied. "If the fire nation caught me it would be…." he swallowed. "Bad."

"So you're not fire nation then. Okay. I did sort of wonder. But then again Jet was a liar." Aang sighed. "I couldn't trust a single word out of his mouth."

Zuko blushed as he turned his head away. There were flaws in Aangs logic already, that if he was fire nation he would somehow be safe from the military?

No… It was the opposite. There was nothing more dishonorable to the fire nation than deserters and traitors. The punishment for either thing was…. Death.

And by running away Zuko had become a deserter…. But no one except the people of the Wani knew that yet. As long as he wasn't exposed he could still change his mind. And it was obviously better if the Avatar and his friends just didn't know right now. Zuko was defenseless and he had to maintain this idea of being partners until he and Mai were well enough to figure out what to do next… Mai was still having a fever and well. It was just Zuko's best bet to play friends for now.

Zuko groaned as he held a hand over his head, everything was swimming in front of his eyes.

Aang swallowed deeply. "The fire nation really hurt you in the past…. Didn't they?"

Zuko hissed as he squinted his eyes.

"Did…. Did Zhao do that?" Aang asked in a small nervous voice. "To… Your face?"

Zuko frowned. "No," he replied a little confused.

"Oh… Okay." Aang swallowed. "I guess you don't want to talk about it huh."

"You would be right," Zuko replied.

"I think that it's amazing that… Even though the fire nation hurt you you still tried to save that colony town." Aang said. "I had it wrong then. Jet was the bad guy and you were the good guy… So… I really hope we can be friends."

"For your information, I caught Jet after that and cashed in the bounty," Zuko informed.

"Oh." Aang blinked. "Well… I guess that's actually for the better. At least then… he won't be hurting any more people."

Zuko silenced then exhaled deeply. "Yeah… That's what I thought too," he admitted.

For a moment there was silence and Aang swallowed.

"You should rest," Aang said. "I'll make a fire and get started on making some food. I'm not... Very good at making food. But it's eatable at least. You don't mind vegetarian do you?"

"Vege-what?" Zuko asked confused.

"Vegetarian." Aang said "I don't eat meat. Never have."

"Why wouldn't you..." Zuko asked in a groan. Honestly to dizzy and in pain to think that clearly. "Whatever. As long as it isn't burned I... I kind of often end up burning the food." he admitted.

"I'll do my best not to burn it," Aang admitted. "So get some rest."

And Zuko nodded as he turned to his side and was happy to just go back to sleep.

Chapter Text

Soon a fire was going and the young Avatar was making what looked like some sort of vegetable soup.

As the soup started to simmer Zuko got up with a groan and headed towards his own luggage where he pulled out a small kettle and a bag of tea blend before heading to the fireplace and putting over the kettle while he groaned.

"Do you need me to make tea for you?" Aang asked.

"No, it's fine. I'm doing better." Zuko informed, while still having to blink vividly to get rid of the dizziness. Then he glanced up at the water tribe siblings and sighed deeply. "I suppose I should make enough for everyone," he muttered.

Aang blinked. "You don't have to…"

"The tea is for helping against sore throats and fever," Zuko informed. "It should help with sickness."

"Oooh." Aang gaped. "Yeah! When I got sick Monk Gyatso would always make sure I drank this tea!" he beamed then halted. "I wish I knew what sort of tea it was. I should have listened better," he muttered a little sadly.

Zuko glanced at the young boy. "My uncle would always make me tea when I was sick too," he informed in a quiet voice. "And he would try to teach me how to make it… Several times. I… Wasn't very good at it." he admitted. "So I kind of had to figure out how to do it on my own once I was out on the field. But it seems like at least some of it stuck after all." he smiled lightly. Then he sighed deeply. "But I can only remember that ginger is the one for sore throat. My uncle would know exactly what sort of tea would be best for this exact illness and how to make it."

"Really? That's so cool." Aang beamed. "Is he a herbalist?"

Zuko halted. "Well… erh. Not exactly."

"Oh okay." The Avatar nodded and kept smiling as he worked on the soup.

Zuko hesitated but returned to his tea as well, and soon he had a cup of ginger tea with honey he offered to Mai.

"Here," Zuko whispered. "More tea."

Mai's brow twitched and she groaned as her eyes opened and… They looked a lot more clear than before. Zuko exhaled deeply relieved.

"Zu… Zuko." Mai asked in a weak whisper.

"Sssh." Zuko hushed her gently. "We are not alone," he whispered.

Mai frowned confused.

"I know this sounds weird but… We are camping out with the Avatar and his friends right now." Zuko admitted and Mai's eyes widened in surprise. "Listen. I'll explain later. When you are better." he said. "Right now… I don't think the Avatar wants to fight us." he frowned. "He outright said he wants to be friends."

"That's… Weird." Mai commented.

"I know." Zuko sighed deeply. "But… Well. Things weren't making sense before. Now maybe we can figure this out."

Mai frowned. "What about." she lowered her voice. "Capturing him and all of that?"

Zuko swallowed. "Not while you're sick," he said. "He's not doing anything. So… We are safe for now. We'll figure it out. When you are well again."

Mai smirked amused. "You're not going to capture him," she stated.

Zuko frowned. "You don't know."

"Please. You're you." Mai commented in a weak but genuinely fond tone. "If he's right behind you and you haven't tried to take him down yet… You won't."

Zuko halted and he swallowed. Then finally put the cup to Mai's lips. "Here," he whispered and Mai drank up on his request until Zuko put down the cup.

Then he put a hand under Mai's neck and he sighed deeply. "Thank Agni you're better. I was really worried," he admitted.

Mai smiled lightly. "I keep telling you. I'm a tough girl."

Zuko laughed a little amused. "Yeah," he said then leaned over and kissed her on the forehead. "Get some rest okay?" he asked. "I'll wake you when the food is ready."

"Okay." Mai smiled looking incredibly cute with that red blush still covering her face from the fever. "Love you," she said in a small, surprisingly girly voice for Mai and Zuko chuckled.

"Love you too," he replied and finally headed back to the fireplace where he could pour tea up again and offered it to Aang. "Give this to your friends."

And Aang nodded seriously as he took the cup with both hands and headed over to his friends. He went to the boy first who woke up looking just as groggy as Mai. And then his eyes widened as he eyed Zuko only to be talked down by Aang who was presumably explaining the basics, just like Zuko had to Mai.

And then the entire process repeated with the girl and then the Avatar returned to Zuko and the fire.

Zuko frowned. "The boy's name is Sokka right?" he asked.

Aang beamed. "Yeah! You got it right."

"I have no idea what the girl is called," Zuko admitted.

"Katara." Aang smiled. "Her name is Katara. And that's Appa." he pointed at his bison. "And this!" Aang out an arm only to have a white creature with huge green arms land on it. "Is Momo!" he beamed.

Wide-eyed Zuko looked at the thing on Aang's arm.

"It's okay. He doesn't do anything. He's a flying Lemur!" Aang beamed.

"He looks…. Soft." Zuko commented and Aang chuckled.

"He is pretty soft." Aang nodded and allowed the lemur to jump on Zuko to make Zuko yelp in surprise only for the Lemur to pour as it rubbed its head against Zuko

Zuko blinked. Then smiled as he scratched the thing behind its ear.

Aang beamed. "He really likes you." he grinned.

Zuko swallowed as he looked up, looking at the young very innocent looking air bender, and finally had to realize…. Mai was right.

That wasn't surprising. She was usually right. That though posed a big question… What in the name of Agni was Zuko supposed to do now?!

Chapter 25

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

When Aang said the soup was done Zuko nodded and went to wake Mai who managed to get up and move towards the fireplace soon joined by Sokka and Katara both looking pretty groggy. And Sokka was looking suspiciously at Zuko.

Zuko looked at the water tribe siblings. "So… erh…" he hesitated. "Hello… Again." he blushed.

The girl… Katara. Lowered her head. "Lee right?" she asked and Zuko nodded. "I am so sorry I didn't listen to you about Jet." she swallowed. "And I am so sorry I washed you down the river." her eyes watered. "I thought Jet was a good guy I…"

"Oh." Zuko halted. "That's… Okay," he said. "When I first met him I thought he was a good guy too," he admitted and Katara looked up.

"So you're not trying to capture us anymore for a bounty?" Sokka asked.

Zuko frowned deeply. "I don't… Know."

"Oh, that's reassuring." Sokka snorted.

"Omashu! What happened there?" Zuko asked in a huff. "Why was the city almost destroyed?!"

"That…" Aang swallowed. "That was me. I didn't mean to." he admitted. "It was just. A hundred years ago my friend Bumi and I used to ride on their postal system. You know, for fun!" he beamed. "And I wanted to try it again! I didn't mean for it to get so much out of hand."

Zuko frowned deeply. "And then you did it again?"

"Well… I met Bumi again. He's still alive! After a hundred years can you believe it?!" Aang beamed. "So I had to do that with him again. Just once!"

Zuko's frown only furrowed. "That scroll you stole. Explain."

"It was a water bending scroll!" Katara shouted. "And they were pirates! Clearly they had stolen the scroll from our tribe in the first place! I was just taking back what was ours!"

Sokka rolled his eyes. "We didn't know how those pirates got that scroll in the first place. Maybe they actually bought it," he said. "So yeah. She stole it."

Katara pouted deeply. "Who's side are you on?" she asked.

"Katara really wanted it," Aang spoke quietly. "You see… She's the only water bender at the south pole. There has been no one to teach her water bending. That's also why we are going to the north pole. To find a water bending master. For both of us."

Zuko looked at them both seriously. Then slowly nodded. "The fire nation spirit temple. You utterly destroyed it. Why?"

"That…" Aang hesitated. "That wasn't me. That was Avatar Roku."

"Roku?" Zuko asked. "But… He's dead."

Aang swallowed. "He possessed my body," he admitted quietly. "When things are tense. I can go into the Avatar state or my former lives can possess my body and… I don't even know what's happening when that happens." he hung his head. "I didn't mean to… I…" he swallowed.

Zuko blinked then looked questionable at the others.

"It's true," Katara whispered. "He looked like avatar Roku, and clearly had avatar Roku's power. Aang can't fire bender yet! Or earth bend. Roku did both."

Then Zuko glanced at Mai. They both swallowed a bit as they both remembered.... They had seen Avatar Roku. Who for some reason had just randomly shown up in their boat. And then vanished again into thin air. It had been strange beyond all belief and neither knew why that had happened.. So he really had been there. 

Mai shrugged. "Makes as good sense as everything else that's going on," she commented as she lifted a spoonful of soup to her mouth and ate then frowned. "This is really bland."

Zuko blinked, honestly just happy to get a distraction from the odd memory, then took a spoonful himself and… She was right. This had to be the blandest thing he had ever tasted. Well, at least it wasn't burned.

Then Zuko swallowed and he looked up. "So what is your plan? What are you doing?" he asked.

"Right now?" Aang asked. "Going to the north pole to find a water bending master. And then…" he looked down. "I… I have to learn all four elements before next summer."

"Why?" Zuko asked.

Aang swallowed as he looked up. "Have you ever heard of Sozin's comet?"

Zuko blinked. "Yes," he replied. "A hundred years ago the comet arrived. It gave all fire benders power beyond any imagination but it only lasted for less than fifteen minutes. Fire Lord Sozin recognized this opportunity and in a tactical stroke of genius used the comet to wipe out the air nomad army and thus started the hundred year war."

"WHAT?!" Aang screamed as he stood up spilling soup everywhere.

Zuko frowned. "Am I getting it wrong?" he asked.

"The air nomads didn't have an army!" Aang shouted, genuinely red in the head. "We are pacifists! To an air nomad all life is sacred! I DON'T EVEN EAT MEAT!" he shouted.

Zuko's eyes opened wide in shock. "What?" he asked.

"An air nomad is to never hurt and never cause harm!" Aang exclaimed.

"Then what about all the harm you have been spreading around!" Zuko exclaimed.

"I explained all of that to you!" Aang shouted. "Roku took over my body when that temple was destroyed. I would never!" he gasped for air.

"What about Senlin village! It was completely destroyed!" Zuko exclaimed also standing up.

"That wasn't me! That was the great spirit Hei-Bei! And I fixed it! I calmed him down!" Aang exclaimed.

"Then why was this spirit destroying a village?!" Zuko asked.

"Because the fire nation had burned down his forest!" Aang shouted back and then there was silence.

"Oh…" Zuko halted. Then looked down, his hands fiddling.

Aang swallowed. "Air nomads were pacifists. We never hurt anyone."

"I… I don't understand." Zuko admitted. All too well remembering the temples… The skeletons. Some of them small. "Then why would Sozin…." he halted.

"I don't know." Aang swallowed, now his eyes becoming wet. "I wish I knew! I don't… I really don't." he sniffed.

"Aang," Katara whispered and Aang sat back down.

Then slowly Zuko sat down too in front of him next to Mai.

Aang wiped his eyes. "The point is that comet. Sozin's comet… It's coming back. This summer. So I have to defeat the fire lord before then."

And Zuko gasped, his heart almost stopped. "You… You want to defeat the fire lord?" he asked.

Aang hissed as he looked down.

"Because… his grandfather killed the air nomads?" Zuko asked.

"What? No!" Aang shouted. "Revenge isn't the way. Revenge is bad! That's also air nation philosophy!" he exclaimed.

"Then… Why?" Zuko asked.

"Cause." Aang swallowed. "The world has lost its balance… People are getting hurt… Really hurt. The Avatar's job is to assure balance. It's why I exist at all so… I have to restore balance to the world." and he sniffed, his shoulders shaking. "I don't want to hurt anyone," he said in a broken voice. "And I don't want to keep seeing people get hurt…. I don't get it. Why the world is like this now. It shouldn't be."

Zuko was stunned, absolutely stunned as he looked at Aang with wide eyes.

"So you… Want to stop this war?" Zuko asked.

Aang sniffed and he nodded.

"Wow. I only ever met one other person who actively wanted to do that." Mai commented. "But you know. In a way so it isn't all about one side getting dominance. And isn't revenge and stuff."

Katara frowned. "And who would that be?" she asked.

At that Mai pointed at Zuko. "Him."

Zuko's eyes widened, and he blushed deeply as he looked to the side.

The Avatar gaped. "You don't want revenge on the fire nation?" he asked.

"I… No." Zuko muttered. "The fire nation is also suffering. Everyone is… Earth kingdom. Water tribe. Fire nation. Everyone. There are no winners here." he swallowed. "And if the earth kingdom just took over... became the same as the fire nation. Then.. What was solved?" he asked. 

"That's how I am feeling!" Aang exclaimed happily. "You know a hundred years ago I used to visit the fire nation and it was amazing!" he beamed happily. "My best friend was fire nation! His name was Kuzon! And we would do all these things together. Go to fireworks festivals, and learn the newest dance moves! And try out flaming fire gummies. The fire nation people were so nice to us air nomads! They were always so warm and so happy! They were amazingly passionate about everything they did. It was always so exciting to go there!" he beamed and then his smile faltered. "So… I really don't understand at all… Why they would do it." he swallowed.

"I…" Zuko halted. "I don't know either. I'm… sorry."

"Heh." Aang laughed a hollow laughter while wiping away a tear. "It's okay. It's not like you had anything to do with that."

And Zuko blushed deeply as he looked away, then Mai put a hand on his shoulder.

"So erhm…" Aang hesitated. "Maybe now… When you don't have your own transportation anymore. You want to come with us… For a while."

"WHAT?!" Sokka shouted spilling his soup. "Take them with us!? We don't know anything about them!"

"But Sokka. You said they seemed pretty all right." Aang gaped.

"That doesn't mean I would trust them Aang," Sokka exclaimed. "I don't know them!"

"But Lee saved me from Zhao!" Aang said. "He risked his life for me so… I trust him." he beamed happily.

Zuko's cheeks became even redder as he leaned back.

"Why did you even do that?" Sokka asked Zuko directly.

"April was sick," Zuko muttered. "Aang knew how to cure her and… I fucking hate Zhao."

Sokka snorted. "Don't we all?" he asked. "Sorry. I hope it's not too personal a question but… Did he have anything to do with that?" he asked pointing at Zuko's scar and Zuko groaned.

Sokka was the second person to ask that within a mere twenty four hours. Why?!

"No! Zhao didn't do this," Zuko exclaimed gesturing at his face. "But he was watching it happening and he acted like it was the best day of his life! He sucks!"

Sokka blinked. "Okay wow… That's... Somehow even more messed up than I thought."

"That's awful." Katara gasped.

"So what happened?" Sokka asked. "You got caught by fire nation soldiers or something?"

"I really don't want to talk about it." Zuko pouted as he crossed his arms and turned his head away.

"Please," Mai asked. "It was… an awful ordeal." she swallowed. "I also saw it happening and it was… Very deliberate. On purpose. So please… Don't ask us anymore." her head lowered. "And yes. Zhao was cheering for it." she glanced to the side. "Among many others..." she added in a deep bitter tone. 

"Urggh." Sokka groaned. "Okay. You won me over. If you wanna come. You can come." he said. "We could use some cool bounty hunters more familiar with the earth kingdom anyway."

Mai was silent then looked at Zuko. "What do you say? Lee."

"I." Zuko frowned as he looked down. "I erhm." he swallowed. "I think… I." he sighed deeply. "I want to figure this out," he said. "I don't know how exactly Aang intends to end this war but… I need to learn more so. I guess we'll be sticking around. For a while that is."

And Aang smiled warmly at him.

"For a while." Zuko held up a hand. Then he groaned as he held his head. "Owww."

"Are you all right?" Katara asked.

"He has a concussion," Aang revealed. "From our escape. He was knocked out cold for a while."

Mai looked at Aang. Her lip thinning. "Thank you for telling me," she said. "Now I can tie his ass down for the night."

"April!" Zuko gasped.

"You never say anything when you are hurt!" Mai exclaimed.

"Cause I'm fine," Zuko said.

"Hah! Even if your arm got cut out off and you were bleeding to death you would insist you were fine." Mai rolled her eyes. "Avatar." she addressed Aang.

"Aang." Aang corrected her.

"Keep an eye on him! He's the worst kind of patient!." Mai declared. "If he breaks a leg he won't say anything. And walk for days without even complaining! He apparently thinks it's all cool or stoic or something. But it's shit! He may think he is invulnerable." she seethed. "But you're not! Lee!"

"Good to know." Katara nodded and Zuko groaned. Great.. now more people would be fuzzing all around him.

And now his head was swimming too… And nausea was coming back…. Just.. Great.

Notes:

So... I just want to recommend a new anime I have begun watching.

It has been a LONG time since I liked a new anime this much. And I think Avatar fans would really like it too!

The anime is called. "Ousama Ranking" or "Kings Ranking."

It's about a little tiny prince called. "Boiji." unfortunately though he was born very small, very weak, and deaf! The main character is deaf. And legit communicates through sign language. Which is really cool!

One day while walking outside the town Boiji runs into a shadow creature called "Kage." and he is DELIGHTED to find out that Kage somehow understands him and Boiji can read Kage's lips and thus understands him perfectly.

Kage though is not impressed and robs Boiji, sadly though Boiju doesn't have any money so Kage asks for his clothes instead and Boiji hands it over and goes home wearing only underwear.

Then the next day. Boiji comes back to Kage now wearing LAYERS upon layers of clothes, which he happily gives to him, just so happy to have someone who understands him.
And he does it again the next day! And thus a true friendship develops as it turns out, Kage is also entirely alone and wants a friend. And finally swear that from now on, he will always have Boijis back.

.... I swear. This anime is SO cute! But surprisingly sides of it become pretty dark, yet it's always so engaging and the main character Boiji is just the greatest delight you will ever find!

Check it out! This deserves to be spread around. It's so good and wholesome.

Chapter Text

There really was no helping that they all had to stay at these stone ruins for another day or two.

They had to make sure that Mai, Sokka, and Katara had all recovered from their illness… And that Zuko was okay to go with his concussion.

Zuko was honestly glad he could just say it was for Mai's sake so he didn't have to admit that whenever he stood up for a little too long he got dizzy and nauseous. And so he was spending most of his time laying down… And so did Mai, Sokka and Katara.

It was hardly surprising when Mai joined Zuko and laid down next to him, then put an arm around him and sighed deeply.

They were at the opposite end of the others and thus well out of hearing range.

Zuko swallowed. "So erhm…" he hesitated. "You're sure you are okay with… With us going with them for a while."

"Well, to be honest with you," Mai said. "Your former plan was to try and capture a master of four elements. Somehow transport him to the fire nation. Then openly defy the man who actively tried to kill you before… I was against all of that. That sounded like a suicide mission to me. So overall… This is a vast improvement and I am just relieved that you are less likely to die this way."

"Oh." Zuko realized. "Oh…" he said again and he swallowed.

"And the only reason I went along with it was that I couldn't stop you," Mai informed in a flat tone, making Zuko crawl in on himself.

Mai sighed deeply. "This is a lot less stupid," she said. "Even though… Well. They are trying to take down your father. Are you gonna tell them that?"

"Why?" Zuko asked. "What would that help anyone?" he asked as his heart sank.

"Fair point." Mai nodded then yawned deeply. "Who knows what they will think or do if they figure out you are the fire lord's son."

And Zuko swallowed, he shivered lightly. "You think it matters?" he asked.

"Dunno," Mai admitted. "But why take any chances when it's not necessary? Sokka did have a point. They don't know us, and we don't know them. Not yet."

"It's hard to believe," Zuko admitted. "That my great-grandfather was behind the eradication of their air nomads and Aang wouldn't be just slightly… vengeful about that. Jet said it wasn't about revenge. But it totally was."

"Yeah… Jet sure made himself seem all noble." Mai sighed. "So like I said. We don't actually know these people yet."

And Zuko nodded as he swallowed. "They seem really nice… But so did Jet." he breathed.

"Don't worry about it," Mai said. "We'll stick together like we always have. And if they turn out to be trouble after all. We can take them. They are children."

"Okay." Zuko agreed. "Though… I hope it won't come to that I… I really hope." he swallowed.

"I know." Mai sighed deeply burying her face into Zuko's neck. "That's just like you… I know…. For your sake. I hope so too."

And Zuko nodded then, with Mai's breathing growing heavier and her body too becoming relaxed he too allowed himself to drift off.

Chapter Text

This time as Zuko and Mai were on the big white bison, flying through the air, Zuko was in a much better position to take it all in and he was… Stunned and terrified.

Grabbing the saddle as tightly as he could. Zuko was wide-eyed looking down at the landscapes below them just sailing by. Trees, rivers, and even houses looked so small and he gasped. "April…" he whispered. "April look. It's a town, and it's small."

There was no reply and Zuko turned his head to see Mai sitting right in the middle of the saddle. As far away from any edge as humanly possible, her arms wrapped around her knees and her already normally pale face ghostly pale. "No." she just stated.

Zuko blinked. "Are you okay?" he asked.

"No," Mai replied again. Now her face was looking just slightly green.

Sokka smirked as he casually leaned back at his spot. "Well, I guess not everybody can be as cool as water tribe."

Katara rolled her eyes. "Don't listen to him. The first time we flew Sokka almost peed himself from fright!"

"I did not!" Sokka exclaimed.

"You were shaking like a leaf," Katara replied shortly then shook her head. "You don't have to worry April. Appa won't let anything happen to any of us. He's very intelligent and caring."

"Also there's me!" Aang beamed. "If you fall off I can catch you too!"

At that Mai's eyes widened, in deep shock and horror.

"But… Appa won't let you fall. I promise." Aang smiled a little sheepishly.

Zuko swallowed as he turned and then crawled over to Mai, then put his arms around her to realize, true enough, she was actually shaking.

"How are you feeling?" Zuko asked.

"Like I'm going to vomit," Mai informed shortly and precisely.

Katara looked worried at Mai. "We shouldn't fly for too long anyway. That's how we are always getting spotted by the fire nation," she admitted. "So… Yeah. Maybe we should land and walk for a while anyway soon."

Zuko swallowed as he felt the cold sweat on Mai's forehead. "Please do," he asked and Aang nodded.

"I'll look for a landing spot," Aang informed them and Zuko could already feel like how Mai deflated in relief in his arms.

 


 

Once they were done on the ground Mai seemed… Uncharacteristically unsteady on her feet. Thankfully though Zuko and Mai were used to casually just holding hands so there was nothing weird about that from either side.

And as they started to walk through the forest, Mai slowly started to relax and return to her former snarky self.

Snarky enough to give snide comments to Sokka who apparently didn't know how to be quiet… At all.

"You know. Now that I had time to think about it." Sokka continued one of his talks. "This is awesome! Two other none benders?! I am all for that! Bending isn't everything. Am I right?!" he asked.

At that Zuko's eyes widened, and he looked away blushing deeply.

Mai shrugged. "Neither of us needs bending to whoop the ass of any bender," she informed.

"I bet!" Sokka exclaimed. "You heard that Aang. Katara. These guys don't need bending to kick the ass of any fire bender! Or earth bender!"

Zuko didn't answer that.

"You should meet my friend Ty Lee." Mai grinned a sly devil like grin. "I watched her take out five benders on the training field. And no… She isn't a bender." then she shrugged. "On the other hand though. Those were some pretty shitty benders. Just young trainees but still. She could take them, easily."

"Dude you guys gotta teach me some tricks!" Sokka exclaimed. "I saw you with the swords and knives. You're so good! Lee! Can you teach me swords?!"

"Eeerh." Zuko halted. "I'm not…. Sure," he said. "I mean. The dual dao blade are sort of… One of the most difficult sword forms to learn and erhm… I'm not a teacher."

"He can do more than just swing around swords," Mai smirked. "He's pretty good with knives too. And just regular hand to hand combat." she grinned leaning closer to Zuko.

"Teach me! Pleaaaaase." Sokka begged.

Zuko rolled his eyes. "If you stop being so annoying I might consider it," he asked. "And April! You can teach too! You're a master of hidden blades and weapons."

"So…. Cool." Sokka gasped.

Aang laughed into his hand. "See. I told you this was a good idea." he beamed then looked at Zuko, again having that thoughtful look in his eyes and Zuko turned his head away.

Then Aang just grinned and turned away, dismissing it.

That was when Katara shouted from up ahead. "TUI AND LA! THAT MAN IS BEING ATTACKED BY A PLATYPUS BEAR!"

At ones Zuko grabbed his swords and rushed forward with the others only to halt as he saw the strangest thing he had ever seen.

A man looking completely at ease and relaxed as he was casually dodging the attacking Platypus bear.

"SIR!" Katara shouted. "Got out of there! We can help!"

The man just turned his head and then grinned as he waved at them. "Oh Hello. What a lovely day this is today isn't it?" he asked as he casually dodged another swipe.

Zuko blinked as he just stood there. He had to admit… this guy was really good. He was completely relaxed, which gave him all the surplus and room to dodge any attack which he did.

Zuko had only ever seen one other person in his life who could look this relaxed while being attacked and that was his uncle Iroh.

"You need to get out." Aang tried again and the man just grinned jumping over a claw.

Zuko frowned. Was the man just waiting for the platypus bear to tire out and go away? It wasn't…. a bad tactic. The platypus bear was clearly using way more energy than he was. But it could take a long time. Also… The man had to be super confident over what he was doing cause… Just one miss-step. One failed dodge and he would be very dead… He had to be a super skilled martial artist!

Then suddenly a large presence appeared behind Zuko and Zuko turned to see Appa, who stood up on his front legs and roared. The platypus bear stood up as well, looking utterly terrified as its fur stood up straight and then ran, leaving behind one egg.

And then… there was silence. Appa huffed as he got back down on his legs and the man… He just stood and smiled.

"Boy you sure were lucky we came around." Aang gasped while Sokka rushed towards the egg.

"Oh no. I had everything under control." The man beamed happily.

Zuko's eyes widened… What sort of school of martial arts was this man from? Maybe he was the one who should give Sokka some lessons… Maybe Zuko could get some lessons too.

"Dude." Sokka turned around holding his egg. "You were so close to dying," he said measuring with his fingers.

"No. If I were to die today Aunt Wu would have predicted it!" The man beamed. "She predicted my walk out here would be safe so of course, it would be. I was never in any danger at all."

Zuko halted… Wait…. What?

"What?" Sokka asked.

"Aunt Wu!" The man beamed. "She predicted I would be safe. And I am. Nothing to worry about!"

Oh… Zuko's admiration dropped like a rock. So… the guy wasn't a martial artist at all. He was just an idiot.

"You can go meet her yourself!" The man beamed. "She's the greatest fortune teller in the world."

"There's no such thing as fortune telling." Sokka informed dryly. "If we hadn't come along you would have died."

"But you did come along! And I am fine. So she was right!" The man beamed holding up a finger.

There was silence, absolute silence.

"That's circular logic!" Sokka exclaimed and the man shrugged.

"Remember your umbrella." he simply said as he turned around. "Aunt Wu has informed us all it is going to rain this afternoon. So in half an hour or so I should imagine."

"The sky is blue!" Sokka shouted gesturing up.

The man didn't even listen, he was already on his way and Sokka groaned.

 


 

Half an hour after…. It was raining. And raining a lot.

Zuko and Mai were sharing one of the tent covers to keep them dry while Aang and Katara were sharing their one umbrella. Sokka… Refused.

"There is no such thing as fortune telling!" Sokka exclaimed loudly.

Katara sighed deeply. "Sokka. Just get in under the umbrella. You were just sick. Do you want to get sick again?"

"I don't know Sokka," Aang commented. "I mean just maybe there's something to it. The world is a mysterious place."

"Lee! April! Back me up here!" Sokka shouted at Zuko and Mai.

"Well erhm…" Zuko hesitated. "You're traveling with the Avatar."

"What does that have to do with anything?" Sokka asked.

"Well the Avatar is the bridge to the spirit world. And the spirits can do… A lot of things." Zuko hesitated. "Spirits are the ones making the sun shine and the grass grow. And it is said that the great moon spirit Tui can even peer into the future… So."

Sokka… Did not look happy. He looked very unhappy. And Zuko was silent.

"You know about spirits?!" Aang asked Zuko in a gape.

"Well… My uncle knows a lot more than I do." Zuko admitted. "But he's been trying to teach me and… I have sort of studied." …. Studied to try and capture the Avatar but Aang didn't have to know that.

"See! See! He's important! I knew it!" Aang beamed as he pointed at Zuko.

"So his uncle is someone who talks about spirits. So what?" Sokka asked. "In the water tribe the elders would also talk about spirits but they were bedtime stories! Campfire stories! We don't take it seriously!"

Now Katara looked unimpressed. "You also thought the Avatar was a campfire story. You're traveling with him Sokka. And you've been to the spirit world! So just accept there is obviously more to this world than we know."

Sokka groaned. "Well, obviously spirits are a thing. We met them!" he exclaimed. "But that doesn't mean fortune telling is! It's a complete hoax to trick stupid people out of their money. You want fortune telling? Look! I can do it too!" he exclaimed. "I predict! It's gonna keep raining!" he proclaimed.

And then… As if on command. As if the entire world was just out to fuck with Sokka… It stopped raining.

Katara blinked as she looked up, then looked at Sokka with a smirk on her face.

"Shut… Up." Sokka muttered and Mai snickered.

Zuko shook his head. He honestly didn't have an opinion either way, but he had to admit it was pretty funny to annoy Sokka…. This could end up pretty fun.

Chapter Text

"So…" Aang asked as he was wide-eyed looking up at Zuko while they walked. "You know about spirits?"

"I told you. My uncle knows way more than I do." Zuko groaned annoyed.

"The one with the tea?" Aang asked.

"Yes I only got one uncle." Zuko rolled his eyes. "And he's the one who knows about tea! And spirits!"

"Still. I barely know anything at all!" Aang exclaimed. "Even though it's my job to know. Cause I'm the Avatar so… Maybe that's it! Maybe that's why I needed to meet you. So you can teach me about spirits!"

"I really don't think so." Zuko groaned annoyed.

"Oh, I know. Maybe we can ask that Aunt Wu about it. If she can read the future maybe she knows what we are supposed to do." Aang gasped.

Zuko closed his eyes. "I really doubt she'll know anything. Even if she is a fortune teller."

Aang blinked. "So Lee… I had some odd dreams about you. Did you have any dreams about me?"

Zuko halted, he remembered his weird dream which honestly hadn't felt that normal at all and he swallowed. "No…" he tried carefully.

Aang frowned deeply. "I'm not sure." he contemplated. "But I think it's Roku that wanted me to seek you out."

Zuko stopped abruptly. "Roku?" he asked.

Aang stopped too and he looked up. "Yeah. The Avatar before me. It was after I talked to him in person and he possessed my body I started seeing you. You had any dreams about him maybe?"

Zuko stood still. He remembered the temple and what he had seen. Roku himself.. And he looked down at Aang. "Erhm… No…." he swallowed. But started to feel the sweat forming on his back. 

"Oh. Okay." Aang nodded. "You got any idea why Roku would want us to meet."

"How… How would I know?!" Zuko exclaimed loudly. "Roku died a hundred and twelve years ago! I'm sixteen! What on earth would I know about Roku?!"

"That's a good point," Aang admitted as he turned while looking very thoughtful. "Roku wanted me to meet you. But why?" he asked as he scratched his bald head.

Zuko swallowed… Roku…. Could it be possible that Roku was the one trying to get them together? But yeah… Why would he do that?

Was it because…. Zuko was Ozai's son? And what he actually tried to do was warn the Avatar?

Zuko swallowed as he tried to recall what he knew about Roku…. Roku had been fire nation. But he had betrayed his own nation and openly defied the fire lord.

It was said that before Roku died he had declared his wish to….. Kill the fire lord and any of his descendants. And that's why they needed to always defend themselves against the Avatar. 

Well that sounded…. Bad. And if Roku had a hand in this that would be… Bad.

Zuko glanced at Aang who didn't seem to mind him at all but was looking very thoughtful while he was holding his chin and looking out into the eye with a furrowed brow.

"You know." Aang suddenly spoke making Zuko jump in shock. "I barely know anything about you! Maybe if you told me about yourself!" he beamed at Zuko.

"To-Told you?" Zuko stammered.

"Uhu," Aang said. "And erh… You don't have to tell me anything you don't want to," he said. "I know that scar is a very personal subject and I can see why. So you don't have to say anything about that at all. But maybe… Where did you grow up? How did you meet April? How did you decide to become a bounty hunter? You know… Stuff."

Zuko looked at Aang. "eeerh.." he halted. "I erhm… I don't… What I mean is."

Aang silenced. "Did the fire nation take your family?" he asked in a sad voice.

Zuko swallowed. "Well… I… erhm." he fibbed. "I still got my uncle so."

"Oh." Aang looked down. "So your parents are…" he glanced away.

"I… Don't want to talk about it." Zuko then said.

"That's okay. What about your uncle? Can you tell me about him?" Aang asked.

"Well…" Zuko looked up. "My uncle really likes tea… And proverbs," he said. "He likes spending most of his day playing Pai-Sho and eating roasted duck." he zoned out while Zuko tried to think about things to say. "Once a week my uncle likes to arrange music nights. And I suppose he's pretty decent on the Sungi horn but he really can't sing… He does it anyway though. And he always wants me to join him. I refuse." he said.

Aang chuckled into his hand.

"Uncle knows a lot about the world. The different nations and spirits. He loves telling about it too. He loves telling stories. To anyone who wants to listen." Zuko informed in a slight smile. "He always needs to talk to strangers too. It's even better if he gets to play Pai-sho with them and drink tea of course." now Zuko's smile looked honestly warm, and his eyes were outright shining with fondness as he spoke. "He says that sharing tea with a fascinating stranger is one of life's true delights.... I used to get so annoyed that he would spend half a day with some stranger just to talk and drink tea but." Zuko shook his head while his amused smile remained. "That's my uncle. He'll always have the time to lend an ear when needed and..." Zuko halted, then his smile turned sad... A little wistful. "He never gets angry.... He'll be patient with you. And give everything the time it takes, never trying to rush it... For however long it is gonna take. He'll spend that time. And be there... When it matters." 

Aang smiled. "He sounds really nice," he said.

"Yeah." Zuko nodded. "He is very nice." he agreed. "He erhm… took care of me for the last couple of years."

"I hope I get to meet him." Aang beamed. "Then we can play Pai-Sho! I haven't played Pai-Sho since left the western air temple and… erhm. Got frozen in an iceberg."

"Oh." Zuko blinked. "Well. I'm sure my uncle would love to play against you."

"That's great!" Aang beamed. "Do you play Lee?"

"Erhm… no." Zuko admitted. "my uncle tried to teach me but… I guess I just don't have that kind of patience."

Aang nodded. "It's a very long game," he admitted. "When Monk Gyatso taught me I often got very impatient too."

Zuko blinked.

"Oh I guess Monk Gyatso is to me what your uncle is to you." Aang beamed. "He raised me!"

"I… see." Zuko nodded slowly and Aang smiled warmly just as they stepped into a town and they both looked up to see a ton of people, all looking so happy and content walking back and forth in what honestly looked like a very happy and well maintained little town.

Slowly they all walked through the town until they reached a big house and a man stopped them. "Excuse me!" he proclaimed loudly making everyone halt. "Aunt Wu is expecting you," he informed stepping aside gesturing at the door.

Zuko's eyes widened. The others looked slightly shocked. And Aang then grinned. "SHE IS A FORTUNE TELLER!" and he grabbed Zuko's arm. "SHE CAN TELL US!" and he rushed inside pulling Zuko after him.

"WOAH! Wait!" Zuko shouted but didn't get to say anything until they were inside of what looked like some sort of waiting room and a little girl with massive braids looked up at them just as the rest entered.

"HI!" Aang beamed. "Apparently Aunt Wu is waiting for us. Can we see her?"

The girl blinked, then she blushed. "Sure. Just wait your turn." she gestured at the pillows on the ground. "Erhm… Hi." she blushed. "I'm Meng. And… What's your name?"

"Aang," Aang informed. "And this is Lee. Katara, Sokka, and April." he presented them all as they took each their seat on the pillows.

"So… Would you like some tea?" Meng asked. "Maybe some bean puffs?"

"I would like some bean puffs," Sokka stated.

"Just a minute." Meng waved him away and leaned towards Aang. "What would you like?" she asked.

"Erh… Tea I guess." Aang shrugged and the girl smiled as she finally walked away.

Katara smiled as she clasped her hands together. "A real fortune teller?" she asked. "This is so exciting. I wonder what she can tell us maybe… A future husband." she blushed and Aang's eyes widened.

"Yeah, I'll skip." Mai shrugged.

"You're not even a little bit curious?" Katara asked.

"Listen. There is only one guy I would ever marry." Mai stated. "So… Either Aunt Wu would just confirm what I already know. Lee is the only one for me. Or she'll tell me our relationship is doomed. In which case she is doomed. Cause if she dares even saying it I'll fuck her up."

There was stunned silence as everyone was looking at Mai in disturbed silence.

"Is she… usually like that?" Sokka asked.

"Yeah," Zuko smirked with a loving smile on his face while his eyes rested on Mai. Filled with nothing but fondness.

"Dang I'm jealous. You already know who your soul mate is." Katara gasped. "That's so romantic."

Mai shrugged. "The reason why it's him is that he's the only one who doesn't suck. So."

And Zuko blushed even more as he looked down.

Sokka squinted his eyes. "That's a very low bar isn't it?" he asked.

"Not when everyone else in the world sucks," Mai commented.

"Come on it's not that bad," Katara said. "I mean you're with us now. And we're pretty nice."

"Maybe you are. Maybe you're not. I don't know you yet." Mai commented. "Jet seemed nice and he sucks worse than most."

There was utter silence.

"Well… At least she's honest." Sokka remarked.

"Yeah." Zuko sighed deeply looking very much in love. "She's not scared of saying what she feels or thinks. April is the best."

And Mai glanced at Zuko and smiled lightly.

The rest was silent as they looked at them.

"Okay, these two are weird," Sokka stated.

Just then Meng came in carrying a tray with the promised tea and bean puffs she put down on the floor. "Aunt Wu is ready to see the first one now."

"US!" Aang proclaimed as he stood up pulling Zuko with him. "She has to tell us why Lee and I had to meet! What are we supposed to do?!"

Meng looked at them. "Well, usually Aunt Wu only talks to one at a time. But okay. Maybe she'll ask one of you to leave but you can try." she waved them with her and Aang beamed as he pulled Zuko with him.

Hopelessly Zuko looked behind himself to look at Mai but her eyes were stone cold as if to say… You asked for this Zuko.

And Zuko swallowed as Aang brought him to meet this Aunt Wu.

 


 

As they entered the room. Zuko was completely overwhelmed by the smell of incense. It almost made him cough and he had to struggle to stop himself.

The walls were painted in dark colors and all sorts of things were hanging from the ceiling. In the middle, there was a little fireplace with a bronze bowl hanging upon it and then there was an older woman with gray hair who looked about the same age as Uncle Iroh, she wore heavy makeup and wore several necklaces and beaded armbands. Then she glanced up at them. "I usually only read one person at the time," she informed.

"I'm sorry," Aang said. "But you see. I'm the Avatar!" he exclaimed. "And I had dreams and feelings telling me I am supposed to meet Lee here! And now I met him but I don't know why and neither of us knows what to do now we actually met up. So maybe you could tell us."

Aunt Wu looked up at Zuko, her eyes rested shortly at his face then his scar, and then she glanced down. "Very well. Sit down," she asked and Aang grinned as he sat down pulling Zuko with him.

Zuko swallowed… He was sweating. What would Aang do if he found out his former self had declared wanting to kill Zuko… Please don't say anything Aunt Wu.

"Hmm. Let's see." Aunt Wu pulled out some runes and threw them on the ground. Then frowned as she looked at them and she blinked. "Yes indeed. Your fates seem intertwined."

"See!" Aang beamed. "I knew it!" and Zuko gulped. 

"How strange." Aunt Wu commented. "Each has a destiny. But neither can be fulfilled without each other."

Aang gaped. "Lee has a destiny too?!"

Zuko's eyes widened…. He had thought capturing the Avatar was his destiny for so long and yeah… He would need the Avatar for that so… Was that it after all?

"It's so vague." Aunt Wu frowned. "I need something else." she declared as she grabbed a bag of powder and threw it on the fire to make it burst in a strange color and she frowned deeply. "Destruction…. There will be great destruction. But that's not the end of it."

Zuko's eyes were wide, his body rigid as he swallowed.

"Argh. Not good enough." Wu huffed frustrated. Then pulled out another bag and pulled out a bone. "I only use this for rare occasions. It is not easy to acquire the bone from a badger mole. But this is one of those times where it's needed!" she informed. "The cracks will reveal your fate!" she declared as she threw the bone on the fire and both Zuko and Aang leaned over to look at it as slowly. Slowly the bone started to crack.

Aunt Wu was looking at it with deep intensity as suddenly the fire flared up, forcing everyone to cover their faces from the heat and the bone just plainly exploded with pieces flying everywhere.

"Oh my word!" Aunt Wu gasped. "This never happens! Do you know what this means?"

"Errh… No." Aang admitted.

"An event! Which will shape the future of the entire world! A calamitous event touching so many people!" Aunt Wu exclaimed loudly. "And you will be in the center of it! Your actions will decide the fate of the world itself!" she exclaimed in a dramatic voice.

Aang… Looked entirely unimpressed. "Yeah, I know that already," he said. "But what does that have to do with Lee!" he asked frustrated.

Wide-eyed Zuko looked up. Shaking lightly.

"He is in the center of it as well." Aunt Wu said. "His choices… His actions. Effects the entire world." she informed. "And it is only him who can secure a better future. You are both needed for this calamity to have a good outcome. You both have to act and make the right decisions! You are of equal importance."

Zuko blinked confused.

And Aang gaped. "Really?" he asked. "But… Why?" he asked. "Why Lee?" he asked. "I mean I'm the Avatar so… But why him?"

Aunt Wu turned to Zuko and she looked directly at him making Zuko gasp for air. "You have yet to embrace your destiny," she remarked.

"I…. I don't know what you're talking about." Zuko gasped.

"It must be you! No one else!" Aunt Wu proclaimed. "But the price will be great. The freedom you enjoy now. That's the price. Are you willing to pay it?"

And then there was silence. Wide-eyed Zuko looked at Aunt Wu.

"Eeeerhh." Zuko halted.

"Wait does that mean Lee has to go to prison?!" Aang exclaimed. "That's terrible!"

"No no no." Aunt Wu waved her hand. "It's not that… He'll figure it out. Well… Hopefully he will. Otherwise the world is doomed." she rolled her eyes

Zuko blinked…. Well…. That was a lot of pressure all of a sudden.

"That's all I have to tell!" Aunt Wu clasped her hands. "Now out with you!" she asked.

"But… I still have so many questions!" Aang gasped.

"I'm good! I need some air!" Zuko exclaimed as he stood up.

"Lee?" Aang asked.

"Sorry," Zuko said and then, he basically ran for it leaving a very confused Aang.

Aunt Wu shook his head. "That boy has yet to embrace his true destiny," she remarked as she picked up a wooden pipe and stuck it in her mouth.

Aang swallowed. "What… Is his true destiny then?"

Aunt Wu shrugged. "That's for him to find out and share."

Aang pouted as he looked at Aunt Wu. "You're no help at all!"

"I am merely a messenger." Aunt Wu informed. "Now scram!"

And Aang groaned as he stood up and walked away too.

Chapter Text

Zuko rushed outside. He ignored the people in the waiting room and the shouts and questions following him as he headed outside.

Fresh air… he needed fresh air.

What… What did all of that mean?! He had a destiny after all? But the price for fulfilling his destiny would be his freedom? Just what?

And Zuko swallowed as he looked around in this stranger town he didn't know then finally found a spot. Right in the middle of the sun and Zuko headed over there to sit down while lifting his head and closing his eyes. Facing the fun directly. Allowing the warm light to wash over him and feed his inner flame while Zuko recalled Iroh's instructions from the past… Breath. Just breath.

That was how Mai found him a while after. Just sitting in the sun with closed eyes and breathing deeply.

Then Mai sat down next to Zuko. "You all right?"

Zuko exhaled deeply and then slowly opened his eyes, then he lowered his head and shrugged.

"Aang told us all what Aunt Wu said. That you two are of equal importance and both your actions will determine the outcome of the calamitous event." Mai commented.

Zuko swallowed. "You think that's true?" he asked.

"Honestly?" Mai asked. "I haven't gotten the faintest. Maybe Sokka is right and this is all horse shit," she commented as she leaned back.

Zuko smirked lightly then his smile faltered. "You know… I always felt… Like the Avatar was my destiny. You know? Even before my banishment. It's really weird. I don't know why… I just felt it. So when that became my mission. It made sense… I guess."

"Oh." Mai blinked. "Huh."

Zuko frowned deeply. "Aang said he thinks it's Avatar Roku who wanted us to meet… You think." he swallowed and then whispered. "It's because I am the fire lord's son?"

Mai frowned deeply. "Didn't Roku like… Declare war on the royal line and vowed to destroy them all?"

Zuko lowered his head. "Yeah," he muttered. "That's why Sozin had to defeat him before he could enact his grand plan."

Mai scrounged her face.

"Aunt Wu also said that… The price of fulfilling my true destiny is the freedom I enjoy now." Zuko swallowed. "What do you think that means?"

Mai shrugged. "Dunno. But if anyone tries to put you in prison or make you a slave or something. I'll bust you out."

Zuko smirked amused. "Thanks Mai."

"Eh." Mai shrugged. "You would do the same for me."

Just then Sokka arrived too, speaking loudly. "You don't have to listen to that old crow Lee!" he proclaimed. "It's confirmation bias! Aang felt like you two had a connection so she just built upon that because that's what Aang would believe! This entire thing is a hoax!" he exclaimed. "I just came across a guy where Aunt Wu told him that he would be wearing red shoes the day he meets his wife and guess what?! Now he's always wearing red shoes! So of course that's going to happen!" he exclaimed. "That's how this works! It becomes true because people act upon it! And her predictions are vague enough that people can use circular logic to justify it!"

Zuko blinked. "It's a pretty big prediction to make though isn't it? That I am…" he swallowed. "Of equal importance to the Avatar."

"How does that even make sense?!" Sokka exclaimed. "Can you bend all four elements? No. Are you someone who can take down the tyrannical man leading an attack on the entire world? No! What makes you so special?! Nothing! It's a hoax!"

"Errrh." Zuko halted… It was probably meant as comforting supporting words. But Sokka had basically said Zuko had nothing of special value to offer…. Thanks?

"Or." Sokka squinted his eyes suspiciously. "Is there something you're not telling us Lee?" he asked.

"Well erhm." Zuko swallowed. "I…" he tried.

"Sokka seriously?" Katara now entered the conversation too. "Clearly Lee went through pretty horrible things. He already made it clear that he doesn't want to talk about it."

Sokka sighed deeply as he shrugged. "Fine."

"And besides it all makes sense!" Katara said. "Aang said Lee was important and now Aunt Wu just confirmed it!"

"Exactly!" Sokka shouted. "She confirmed what Aang was already saying."

Katara rolled her eyes.

Zuko swallowed. "Erhm. Can I ask you guys something?" he asked.

And Katara softened up. "Of course."

"So erh…" Zuko tapped his hands together. "What are your feelings about the fire nation? As in… Really?"

Suddenly, there was stunned silence. The entire atmosphere just changed and slowly Zuko looked up to see the water tribe siblings look at him in almost shock.

Zuko swallowed and then Katara spoke.

"Honestly?" Katara asked. "I hate them. And I don't know if I can ever forgive them."

Zuko's eyes widened. "What?" he asked.

"They took everything from us," Katara said. "Destroyed our civilization, captured every single water bender before me… killed." she breathed. "We always knew when fire nation would be approaching. The black snow is always the first sign… Snow painted black by the smog of the fire nation vessels. When the black snow came… People would get hurt. And most likely someone would die. And we couldn't even fight back. They came with fire benders and had already taken all of our water benders away from us." she said. "They came to take the last one too… They came to take me. When I was just ten years old. My mother protected me… She lied. Told them she was the last water bender and not me. So they took her life. And that was it…. I hate them."

Zuko gaped and Sokka looked away, holding his arm.

"I.. I'm sorry." Zuko whispered. "I…" he lowered his head. "They took my mother too. When I was eleven," he admitted. "So… I know it doesn't help but… I can relate."

And Katara's smile softened as she sat down beside Zuko on his free side. "It's okay," she assured. "And… I realize there are good people within the fire nation. Aang keeps reminding us. It's hard to imagine." she swallowed. "He tells me that one day I need to forgive… I really don't know if I can but… I sort of hope I can. That would be a lot better for everyone I think."

"Heh." Zuko smiled nervously.

"That would be the day." Sokka sighed. "The day we meet a good person from the fire nation." he rolled his eyes. "So far it's just been Zhao and his soldiers and boy… yeah. No." he shook his head.

"Yeah that's a bad impression to have." Zuko agreed then sighed deeply. Mai was silent, her hand had moved over to hold Zuko's and squish it tight.

"Well hopefully the day we take down Jerk Lord we'll suddenly see a better side of the fire nation." Sokka shrugged. "It's kind of hard to imagine but one has to hope. I mean otherwise what's the point?" he asked.

And Zuko nodded while Mai kept holding his hand.

 


 

It took a while before Zuko was alone with Mai again. Katara kept around wanting to assure him and then asked him to come shopping with him. Zuko had to outright sneak away taking Mai with him and then finally they were alone in the shadows as Zuko swallowed.

"What is it?" Mai asked as she held Zuko's cheek.

"Mai," Zuko whispered. "Be honest… Do you think there's any hope for the fire nation at all?" he asked. "Or is it just too corrupt? Too rotten at this point?" he asked.

Mai blinked as she looked at Zuko. "I… I'm not the right person to ask this. As far as I am concerned all of the world sucks. All of it… fire nation. Earth Kingdom… all of it."

Zuko looked down. "I… I want to believe that we can do better. That we can be better! The fire nation used to be a nation of honor! There's so much potential! There are good people in it! I know there is! The fire nation can do real good in the world I just…" he looked up and met Mai's eyes.

"I suppose then… There's your answer." Mai smirked. Then shook her head. "Idiot. What did you even need me for?"

"Heh." Zuko laughed awkwardly. "Someone to talk to I suppose." he leaned his forehead against Mai.

"Well," Mai smirked. "It has been a while since we had some time in private." she wrapped her arms around Zuko's neck. "What do we say we'll enjoy ourselves a bit. You know." she brushed a hand over him.

Zuko croaked an eyebrow and Mai smirked mischievously. Then Zuko smirked. "Sure," he said as Mai's smirk became a full grin.

Chapter Text

When you live in the wild. Real beds for the night were always deeply appreciated. And especially for Zuko and Mai because it meant a bit of privacy in the night as they were more than willing to just pay for their own room, with their own money, so they could be left alone.

Unfortunately, that night, as Zuko laid in Mai's arms like he had done so many times before… Dreams were disturbing him.

That though… Was not unusual. Not by the slightest.

And Mai knew the best thing to do was just stay calm, keep her arm around Zuko and it would go away.. Hopefully.

Rarely would Zuko tell about his dreams. He didn't need to though. Mai could guess well enough what they would be about. Truth be told… She too had for a long time suffered from horrible nightmares.

Of seeing a stage. A young boy being burned in front of an audience who all cheered. And that smell would never leave her when Mai thought back on it. She sighed deeply as she held Zuko.

Soon enough he would relax again. And Mai would be there for him when it happened. Hopefully this dream wouldn't last too long.

 


 

Zuko gasped as he was running through a burning forest. No matter where he looked, no matter where he went. There was fire… So much fire.

He could feel it on his skin and then his face and Zuko hissed.

"The fire nation… It burns everything!"

Suddenly the flames parted and in the middle stood a tall man… he was massive. A giant. With long black hair and a muscled torso glistening in the heat.

"No." Zuko fell backward. "Not you…. Please not you."

Fire lords Ozai's eyes burned like the fire all around him as he stepped forward and Zuko panicked as he tried to crawl backward.

"Zuko…" a little voice sounded and Zuko turned to see Mai. Standing right in the flames.

"Mai no! Mai get out of there! You'll get burned!" Zuko shouted as he ran for her, defying all the flames that hit his torso and arms making Zuko shout in pain and then he looked up and Mai was on fire. "MAI!" he screamed and Mai screamed in pain and agony. Then she was gone.

"No. No-no-no." Zuko grabbed his head. "Stop it… No more fire… No more."

"Be at ease child."

Zuko halted, he gasped and then he slowly looked up to see a figure who didn't look like he belonged here at all. Standing in long robes and a golden hairpiece in his topknot as he looked at Zuko with outright kind eyes.

"Avatar Roku?" Zuko asked. "You again? I don't understand."

Roku just smiled kindly at Zuko and then he transformed into a young air bender who smiled warmly at him.

"I really don't understand." Zuko gasped. "What am I supposed to do?! What do you want from me?!"

There were no answers and then.. Zuko gasped as he sat up straight.

Mai let out a yelp in surprise and wide-eyed Zuko looked at her next to him only to gasp in relief. "You're okay!" he gasped. Then squinted his eyes. "Thank Agni."

Mai inhaled deeply. "It was just a nightmare Zuko," she said in an assuring voice. "I'm fine."

Zuko gasped, inhaling deeply, and then concentrated on his breath. Slowly easing himself. Then he grabbed his forehead…. Sweaty. He was sweaty.

"The arena?" Mai asked.

"No." Zuko gasped for breath. "The entire world… On fire." he swung his legs down on the floor and stood up so he could walk to the shelf and pick up a towel to dry himself.

"I… See." Mai swallowed and then silenced as Zuko gasped for breath and Mai was quiet. If Zuko wanted to say anymore he would. And if he didn't Mai wasn't going to ask. 

"And." Zuko finally said while Mai listened intensely. "Roku was there again! Maybe he really is trying to contact me but… Why?" he asked.

"I dunno." Mai shrugged.

"He seemed… Friendly though. Like he tried to help me." Zuko frowned deeply.

"Well that's good isn't it?" Mai asked.

"Well I mean I guess," Zuko commented. "Maybe I should just tell Aang."

"Maybe." Mai shrugged.

Zuko turned to Mai. "You're not really being a lot of help."

"Look I can't make these decisions for you," Mai commented. "Either you'll tell Aang or you won't. Either option is risky I mean… The longer we stay with them the more likely it is they are going to figure out we are fire nation. Or even that you are a fire bender…. Or you know. The Crown Prince of the Fire nation."

Zuko sighed deeply. Then he held out a hand. And made a little flame appear in his palm. For a moment Zuko looked at his own little flame… It had been a long time since he had last been fire bending. Almost as if he hadn't seen it before Zuko looked at his own flame with curious eyes. The warm light illuminated the room... It warmed Zuko's hand and his face. But not in an unpleasant way. Not like the hurtful burning forest in his dream... But then there was the vision of Mai being burned. Of everything burning and Zuko swallowed. 

"Jet acted really badly the moment I said I was sympathizing with fire nation," Zuko commented. "Aang… Didn't seem mad. He seemed happy."

"True." Mai nodded. "But then there is Katara and Sokka who have both admitted they hate fire nation."

Zuko sighed as he closed his hand and thus killed the flame leaving the room in darkness. 

"What are you gonna do Zuko?" Mai asked.

"For now? …. Go back to sleep." Zuko stated.

"That's an amazing plan. I'll vote for that one." Mai stated and Zuko smirked as Mai gestured to him. She opened her arms Inviting Zuko to get back into her embrace.

Zuko exhaled deeply. "Mai… I don't deserve you."

"True," Mai smirked. "I guess you'll just have to live with it. I'm not letting you go so easily."

And Zuko smiled as he crawled back in bed and leaned against Mai. His body was still tense, still shaking. But in Mai's arms, he could soon relax and go back to sleep.

Chapter Text

The next morning Zuko was out walking around town again. They should probably leave soon…. North pole and all of that.

That begged the question though…. Should Zuko and Mai follow them all the way to the north pole?

…. That. Seemed like kind of a bad idea. If people at the north pole found out who Zuko was it would be really bad and there would be no way of escaping from there without a ship or a flying bison.

What was Zuko even doing here? Why was he here? Why was he following these people around?

Just then one air bender approached Zuko with a shy smile on his lips. "Hi Lee."

Zuko looked at Aang then sighed. "Look. I get you want to figure all that stuff out about destiny and so on. But I am not…. Really up for that right now."

"That's okay. That's not what I was thinking about right now." Aang said.

"Oh… Okay." Zuko blinked. "What's up then."

"Well." Aang blushed deeply. "You have a girlfriend right?"

Zuko blinked. "Yes."

"How?" Aang asked. "How did you manage that?"

Zuko was silent. He was honestly stunned silent. "Are you saying I'm either so ugly or so unlikable that I shouldn't be able to get a girlfriend?" he asked.

"NO!" Aang shouted. "That's not what I meant! I just… How did you make her like you?" he asked. "How do I… Make a girl like me."

"Oh." Zuko suddenly realized. "You're asking me how to…" he pointed at himself and Aang nodded.

Zuko blinked.

"Errrhm." Zuko frowned deeply as he crossed his arms.

"How did you get April to like you?" Aang asked.

"Honestly…. I have no idea." Zuko said and Aang blinked. For a while, they looked at each other.

"You must have done something. Right?" Aang asked.

"Not… Really." Zuko said. "She erh.. She's the one who told me that she liked me and… I still have no idea why."

"Really?" Aang asked. "You think it's weird she likes you?"

"I mean… yeah," Zuko said. "April is… So strong. And so cool. She's really pretty and not afraid of what people think about her. She knows what she wants and is not afraid of going for it... She's way braver than I am. And super smart! And funny! She's… Amazing." he whispered. "So honestly. I got no idea why a woman like her would run away with a guy like me."

"You ran away together?" Aang asked in a gape.

"Well…. Yes." slowly Zuko sat down and Aang jumped up to sit next to Zuko. His legs swinging as he was wide-eyed looking up at Zuko. "You see I… Was traveling with my uncle," he said. "And April. She's from a noble family where her father was looking to marry her away in an arranged marriage to further his own status…. Then. We got lost in a forest together and…" he blushed deeply. "We fell in love."

Aang gaped. "That's so romantic." then he frowned. "Does your uncle know where you are?"

"Well… He knows the direction we are headed. He has our back." Zuko said.

"So he's on board with it?" Aang asked in a big grin.

"Yeah." Zuko smiled lightly. "He encouraged me to do what I needed to do."

Aang beamed happily then his brow furrowed. "I don't think that's gonna work for me though." he sighed deeply. "You're sure you don't have any tips?"

"I really don't," Zuko admitted. "I have no idea why April is with me or why she's staying."

"Sooo…. You're just being yourself?" Aang asked.

"I mean I guess." Zuko shrugged. "Actually that's what she told me she wanted… She wants me to just stay myself." he blinked. "Explicitly." 

"Well makes sense to me. You're pretty cool." Aang grinned. 

"Oh… Thanks." Zuko blinked and Aang just grinned back up at him.

Suddenly, a rush of people came in front of them and Aang looked up. "Where do you think all those people are going?"

"I don't know," Zuko replied honestly. "But we can go check it out."

And Aang nodded in a grin as he jumped up and started following the crowd, followed by Zuko who walked more casually with his hands in his pockets.

Finally they reached what was essentially the central plaza of the city where there was a little stage in the middle.

Aang blinked. "What's going on?" he asked one of the townspeople.

The man smiled. "Every year Aunt Wu comes out and reads the clouds. She'll predict the future for the next year and most importantly. The state of Mount Makapu." he pointed upwards to the left and Zuko turned his head to see the top of the massive volcano tower right over the city… Smoking pure white smoke.

"That…. Doesn't look very good." Zuko commented. "You erh… You should probably evacuate the village."

The man shrugged. "If we needed to evacuate Aunt Wu would tell us."

Zuko frowned. "Look I don't mean to question Aunt Wu but… The ground we are standing on is kind of warm and the smoke is white, not gray."

Aang blinked curiously. "What does that have to do with anything?"

Zuko halted, then bit his lip….. The fire nation was a group of volcanic islands. There were volcanoes everywhere. So for any fire nation citizen, these things were common knowledge but apparently… That wasn't the same everywhere.

"Erhm." Zuko swallowed. "You see… There's underground magma. Always building up." he tried to explain. "This builds up pressure. Slowly. And the exit is the volcano so when the pressure is just too great. It erupts." he informed. "As the pressure builds beneath our feet the ground gets warmer so."

"Woooow." Aang gaped. "You're so smart. What about the smoke?"

"Well. The color of smoke depends on two different things." Zuko informed. "It depends on the fuel source and the heat of the fire… Or in this case magma. A low heat in a volcano gives you gray smoke cause the stones and gases haven't been purified. But a great heat purifies the gas before it reaches the air and it becomes white."

"You really are smart." Aang gasped clearly impressed. "You should tell all of that to Sokka. He'll be super impressed! It's just the kind of thing he likes to learn about."

"I heard you and yes! This is what I like to hear!" Sokka called from behind both of them turning to the young water tribe teen. "Logical, clean, science explanation!" he proclaimed pointing at his hand. "See! Lee could tell us this volcano isn't safe based on simple science! Now Aunt Wu will come out. Say the same thing Lee just did. But insist it's the clouds! To make herself look authentic! "

Zuko blinked.

"Are there other things to look out for?" Aang asked.

"Well. Yes. The ground moving. Earth quacks. Some areas even rising. Like I said. You need to think of it like a magma chamber right beneath us building up pressure." Zuko explained. "So that can cause shakes and even areas to lift up. Like a... small hill or something. If it happens under a house the house can just crack wide opened and collapse." 

Aang gaped. "How do you know all of that?" he asked.

"I… erhm." Zuko swallowed. "Grew up next to a volcano?" … Technically true. Caldera the capital of the fire nation was built right on top of a dead volcano.

But even so, their summer home and so on was located on an island with an active volcano. Just like pretty much every single fire nation island had an active volcano in the center and they had been taught what to look for early on.

"Why would anyone build their villages and homes right next to a volcano?!" Sokka exclaimed bewildered.

"The soil is incredibly fertile," Zuko informed. "Volcanic ashes give a lot of life to all the soil."

"Oh… I didn't know that. I wonder why that is." Sokka blinked.

Zuko shrugged. "I'm not sure. Also where there are active volcanoes there are often hot springs. And some people are willing to travel very far for a good hot spring."

"Hot springs are awesome." Aang agreed. "Just imagine Sokka. Warm water that is just always there."

"That…." Sokka halted. "Does sound pretty awesome," he said. "Just imagine building an inn right there. You can make a killing."

"Yup." Zuko nodded. "And then other shops come to capitalize on the tourism. And they bring their families and then you have a town. So I guess they think it's worth the risk."

Sokka nodded. "See… That makes sense."

Just then they were being shushed by the man in front of them who huffed. "Quiet! Aunt Wu is coming!"

Sokka pouted as he crossed his arms looking up at the little stage. And Aang and Zuko glanced up as well to true enough see Aunt Wu standing up.

Then she reached out her arms and everyone just silenced. "I will now! Read the clouds," she informed and Sokka rolled his eyes.

"I see…" Aunt Wu looked up. "This year's harvest will be good!" she exclaimed and people cheered and clapped then silenced. "This year… There is a high likelihood that someone will birth twins!" people grinned again. "And… For Mount Makapu."

"Here it comes." Sokka sighed.

"OUR VILLAGE WILL BE SAFE FROM THE VOLCANO THIS YEAR!" Aunt Wu proclaimed and everyone shouted and cheered.

And both Sokka, Zuko and Aang blinked.

Sokka halted then turned to Zuko. "Didn't you say it could be erupting?"

"I mean it could be," Zuko said. "But it's not for certain. If the circumstances were like this in my.. erh… My old home. People would evacuate just to be sure until." he halted.

The real answer was until specialized fire benders came to confirm the situation and the severity of the magma build up.

"Until people could be sure if it was going to erupt or not." Zuko finished. "There are some fake scares once in a while."

Sokka huffed. "But there is a chance right?"

"Yeah." Zuko nodded.

"Then this is it! This is how I can prove that Aunt Wu is wrong!" Sokka exclaimed. "We should go up there and check on that volcano!"

Zuko blinked. "So…. You want it to erupt? Just to prove a point?"

"Of course I don't!" Sokka exclaimed. "But we are here to help people right? So we are helping by making sure!"

"I… I mean I guess." Zuko blinked.

Sokka huffed. "You are the volcano expert here! You're with me Lee."

At that Zuko squinted his eyes. "You're not my boss."

"You are the volcano expert! Just come on!" Sokka exclaimed gesturing with his arm and Zuko sighed deeply.

"Fine." Zuko shook his head. "Aang. If you see April. Will you tell her where I have gone?"

"Sure." Aang nodded. "I guess I'll see you guys later then," he stated as Sokka grabbed Zuko's arm and pulled him with him out through the crowds.

Chapter Text

The travel up the volcano was long and grueling.

Zuko prided himself on being in really good shape. But literally climbing up a mountain was still pretty hard.

Still, Zuko was doing a lot better than Sokka. Who was far behind and gasping for breath.

"How… How can you keep going at that speed?" Sokka asked.

"The faster we get up there the faster we are done," Zuko commented as he sat down on a rock waiting for Sokka to catch up.

"Urggh.." Sokka groaned as he made his way up to Sokka and then dropped down flat on his stomach.

Zuko in response just stood up.

"Wait… Give me a few minutes." Sokka gasped and Zuko sighed deeply as he sat back down.

Sokka flipped over to his back and then gasped for air. "Darn… I thought this would have been a good opportunity," he commented. "Bonding you know? None bender to none bender in the middle of this madness."

Zuko… Didn't answer that.

"So you have fought against benders before right?" Sokka asked. "How? You got any tips?"

Zuko frowned… Sokka was obviously looking for tips on how to fight benders without using bending. The issue just was… That was the time that Zuko would be resorting to bending.

"Well erhm." Zuko swallowed. "Whether you face a fire bender or an earth bender." he hesitated. "Don't get hit."

"Well that one is kind of obvious," Sokka commented.

"You can read their moves," Zuko commented. "Earth benders will be a little slow. They have to ready their attacks so you can see it coming and have a second to work with making it easier to dodge," he said. "Fire benders attacks will always be very direct. They won't just be changing direction mid way through an attack. So that's something you can always count on and be more flexible than the fire bender."

"Now that's what I am talking about," Sokka stated as he sat up with crossed legs. "That's super useful."

"I never fought a water bender…. I guess beside your sister. But that's really not enough for me to know much about them." Zuko shrugged and then stood up. "Minutes up. Come on. I wanna get this over with so I can get back to April."

Sokka pouted. "But I was learning stuff."

"You wanted this Sokka." Zuko rolled his eyes.

Sokka groaned. "Isn't there an easier way?" he asked.

Zuko shrugged. "Maybe if we had borrowed Appa."

At that Sokka halted. He just stopped and then he slapped his own face. "Why didn't I think of that?!" he exclaimed.

Zuko shrugged. "Don't know. You are a genius after all right?" he asked in an eye roll. "Come on we are almost there."

"Wait. We can just go back down and get Appa." Sokka pointed out.

"I am not going back down now," Zuko said. "We're climbing this volcano. Even if it kills me! So get up and come on! Sokka." he huffed.

And Sokka groaned as he followed.

 


 

Finally, they reached the top and both teens were able to look down to what was definitely warm bubbling lava.

"That…" Sokka hesitated. "That doesn't look very good does it?"

Zuko shook his head. "It's very close to the surface." he swallowed then stepped forward. "But that doesn't give a one hundred percent guarantee if it will erupt or not. Volcanos erupt because of the pressure."

Sokka nodded seriously. "Like when water pressure builds under the ice. But then when it cracks it ALL comes out at ones!" he gestured with his arms.

"Right…" Zuko blinked then looked down. "Erupting seems… Very likely though. Erhm." he swallowed. "Sokka… I'm gonna try something. And it might look a little weird but… Can I ask you to just not ask any questions?" he asked.

Sokka blinked. "I mean sure," he said. "As long as it's not dangerous."

"It isn't," Zuko said. "And I don't even know if I can do this. I never tried before." he swallowed as Zuko squatted down and then placed his flat hands on the stone. Closing his eyes… And exhaled deeply.

Fire by its very nature.. Was heat. Magma was heat… and Zuko had to figure where it was concentrated and if the pressure was still building. Zuko frowned deeply… It was warm. Very warm. The magma was running below them, going all the way to the center of the earth. Where was the pressure point? It was further down…

Just then a slight tremor sounded and Sokka squicked.

"Sssh. I'm concentrating!" Zuko hissed.

"Are you… An earth bender?" Sokka asked.

"No I'm not an earth bender." Zuko snarled back. "Now be quiet!"

And Sokka quieted… The tremor had actually helped. Zuko now felt something concentrated that had moved. And it was growing. Warmth going that way but was blocked…. But… For how long?

Zuko's eyes opened. "It's going to erupt," he informed.

"Are you sure?" Sokka asked.

"Yes I'm sure!" Zuko exclaimed. "The pressure is building and it could erupt any second! And we gotta get down from here now! Cause if this thing erupt and we are trapped on this mountain. We are going to die! Now come on!" he shouted as Zuko grabbed Sokka and just pulled him with him as Zuko started to run back down the mountain with Sokka tripping after him.

"How in the name of Tui and La are you so agile?!" Sokka shouted.

"Training and lots of it! Now come on." Zuko exclaimed and Sokka yelped.

 


 

"Woaaah!" Aang exclaimed as the ground gave away in a tremor under him and Aang lost his footing falling down.

Katara didn't quite fall down, only almost. Then she frowned. "These tremors are getting worse. You don't think?" she asked.

April… Hadn't moved a single inch. Her eyes though looked down under the bangs of her hair. "You better hope Lee is not up there and that volcano suddenly erupts."

"Hehe. I'm sure they are fine." Aang said insecurely.

"Of course you hope that," April replied in a dark voice. "Because if they are not. You are dead."

The sentence was spoken in such a plain and matter of fact way that it made it shiver all across Aang's body and Katara stepped in front of Aang.

"Aang didn't ask those two to go up there. It's not even his fault! And it's not nice threatening people!" Katara exclaimed.

April looked entirely unimpressed and unmoved. She actually almost looked bored as she glanced at Katara. And Katara huffed annoyed.

"So… You think the volcano could be erupting for real?" Aang asked. "Lee did say that there could be tremors if that is the case."

Just then two people came running, two teenage boys.

"AAANG! KATARA!" Sokka shouted.

"APRIL!" Lee exclaimed coming their way and everyone brightened up only for the boys to stop.

"We need to warn everyone! THAT VOLCANO IS ABOUT TO ERUPT!" Sokka shouted.

"It really is!" Lee nodded. "We need to get everyone out of here! Right now!"

Katara frowned. "Are you guys sure?" she asked. "Aunt Wu said.."

"It's about the erupt," Lee informed in a serious tone and April looked at him seriously. Then she nodded.

"Okay. What do we do?" she asked.

"We gotta warn everybody." Aang said. "Now!"

 


 

Zuko didn't need to be told twice. He grabbed Mai by the hand and stormed away to find the first person in front of him to yell. "You gotta get out of here now! The volcano is going to erupt!"

The older woman just blinked at Zuko and then she smiled. "Nonsense. Aunt Wu said we would be safe!"

Zuko halted. "Excuse me?"

"Don't you worry. It's just a false scare." The woman chuckled and then just… Walked off.

"HEY!" Zuko shouted then ran forward. "Hello! The volcano is about to erupt!" he shouted and a man. And the man just laughed at him and then moved on.

And Zuko kept running back and forth in zigzags but no one was listening. And Zuko's shouts involved to screams as he got more and more worked up.

"Lee!" Mai's voice suddenly cut in and Zuko turned to her with big wild eyes. "Calm down," she whispered. "You're nearly fire bending."

And Zuko gasped in shock. Then inhaled a deep breath and exhaled. "Why won't they listen?" he asked frustrated.

"They have been so conditioned to just listen to Aunt Wu that they can't even think for themselves anymore," Mai commented glancing towards Aunt Wu's house.

And Zuko gasped. "That's it! You're a genius!" he beamed as he ran over to Mai and kissed her on the cheek. "It's Aunt Wu we have to convince and the rest will follow! Come on!" he grabbed her hand and pulled her with him.

 


 

As they reached the house obviously the other three had gotten the exact same idea as they met up with Aang, Sokka, and Katara already banging on the door.

"OPEN UP!" Sokka screamed. "Aunt Wu!" he shouted.

And just then the ground started to tremble again making them all tumble.

Finally, the door opened and Aunt Wu's face appeared. "What do you want?" she asked annoyed.

"The volcano is about to erupt!" Sokka shouted. "You gotta warn everyone! You're the only one they will listen to!"

Aunt Wu rolled her eyes. "The clouds speak clearly. The town will be safe for another year. Leave me alone." and then she closed the door. Right into their faces.

They all gaped.

"Are you… Kidding me?" Zuko asked.

Just then the biggest tremor yet came and Zuko gasped. He felt the heat under his feet. Rising. "It's happening," he said. "It's happening now!"

"WE GOTTA SAVE THE TOWN!" Aang shouted. "KATARA COME ON! I need your help!"

And Katara nodded as she ran with Aang.

"HEY WAIT FOR US!" Sokka shouted as he ran after them then Mai and Zuko looked at each other.

"So I suppose I can't just convince you to get the hell away from here and leave these idiots to burn due to their own stupidity?" Mai asked.

Zuko shook his head.

Mai sighed. "Thought so. Come on." she grabbed Zuko's arm and pulled him with her while Zuko smiled amused.

Chapter Text

They didn't get further than just outside the town as they all stopped in a big gasp. Aang looked up. "We can't stop it by ourselves." he realized.

Sokka hissed. "Yeah obviously! But the only one the entire town listens to is aunt Wu!" he exclaimed. "And the only one she's listening to. Are the stupid clouds!"

That made Aang halt and he turned to Sokka. "That's it." he gasped.

"What?" Sokka asked.

"The clouds Sokka!" Aang shouted. "I can't change people's minds but I can change the clouds!"

There was a stunned silence and katara gasped.

"That's genius!" Katara cheered. "Let's do it!"

Sokka nodded. "Right! We need to hurry!" he exclaimed. "Wait… Where's Lee?" he asked as they all looked around.

April more than anyone was blinking vividly and then… She facepalmed herself.

"Did he… Continue up the volcano?" Sokka asked. "Again!"

"WE GOTTA GO AFTER HIM!" Aang shouted.

"NO!" April suddenly shouted making everyone turn to her. Then April groaned. "Focus on your cloud stuff. Lee will be fine… Hopefully."

They all looked at her.

"Are you sure?" Aang asked.

"Just go!" April demanded. "Change Aunt Wu's predictions!"

For a moment Aang stood still, then finally nodded as he ran back to the town.

 


 

Mai exhaled a deep sigh as the others were running towards the town. Then she looked up towards the smoking volcano. "What are you doing Zuko?" she asked in a whisper.

… Was Zuko going to try and use fire bending to stop this thing but… How would that work?

Mai swallowed. She just had to have fate that Zuko knew what he was doing…. Then again. Zuko's entire thing was acting without thinking and Mai looked forward with a deadpan look in her eyes.

"Zuko," she muttered under her breath. "If you die I'm gonna kill you."

 


 

Zuko coughed heavily as he stumbled through the smoke of the volcano. The second climb had been tougher than the first one and felt like it had lasted forever.

As a fire bender Zuko could tolerate much higher heat than other people, but he was drenched in his own sweat and out of breath. He felt the violent heat on his body and then finally. Zuko saw it… Lava! Magma! Slowly coming down the side of Volcano and Zuko gasped then ran towards it and stopped. Making the gesture that would turn off flames and… nothing happened.

Zuko hissed as he tried to make a slash that would normally cut straight through flames. He widened his arms in a way that would make flames lover and… nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Zuko's eyes widened… Shit. This wasn't fire. This was very…. Very hot earth!

And then Zuko thought back to the fire nation and suddenly remembered. When a volcano was erupting they would evacuate any town in its way and… Just let the eruption happen. It was part of their sacred circle of life and death.

Things would be burned but then grow back so much better and stronger like the fertile soil left behind by volcanoes.

…. Well…. Shit.

Zuko fell to his knees… What was he gonna do? What was he supposed to do? These people refused to evacuate. They were going to die!

Then suddenly, there was a shadow in the smoke and Zuko looked up to see the silhouette of a tall figure.

Zuko squinted his eyes as the smoke dispersed to reveal.

Zuko gasped. "Avatar Roku?"

The old man was standing in front of Zuko. He seemed so real and Zuko gasped. His heart hammering loudly.

"What?" Zuko asked. "Why do you keep contacting me?" he asked. "What do you want with me?" he asked with tears in his eyes.

Roku looked at Zuko with sad eyes.

"Are you here to kill me?" Zuko asked. "Like you swore to end the royal line?"

Roku's eyes widened in what looked like deep shock.

Zuko hissed. "Why are you here?" he asked.

Roku hesitated then slowly, he lifted a hand, moved it towards Zuko.

Zuko stiffened as he gasped. The hand was coming closer and Zuko moved backward, but not far enough and then. The finger touched Zuko's forehead and in a blink… Everything was different.

Zuko gasped as he found himself… Flying? He was in the air above a volcano. But it was a different volcano and beneath him were two men.

One was Avatar Roku and the other… A shorter man but looked the same age. And he was wearing the fire Lords crown.

Zuko gaped as he saw the two old men working in unison stretching one hand towards the lava and the other in the air and they seemed to be… Sucking in the heat with one hand and letting it out with the other. Resulting in the lava turning to stone… But it only slowed it down as more was always coming.

Still. They were slowing down the lava! It was working.

And suddenly… Zuko was back. Back to the exact place and moment, he was before. And Avatar Roku was gone.

Zuko blinked as he looked down at the lava by his feet and then he exhaled deeply as he took a position. The same one as the two men in his…. Vision? And then he inhaled deeply, feeling the heat and… Sucked it in through one hand while letting it out with the other and the lava slowed.

It… It worked. It was working! And Zuko grinned in triumph as he continued. He couldn't stop the lava flow but at least. At least he could buy them all some time!

 


 

Aang blinked as he shook his head.

"Oh thank Tui and La." Katara gasped. "You're back!"

Aang blinked as he looked at Katara. Last thing he had remembered they had gone into the air on Appa ready to fix the clouds, and now they were already above the clouds… He didn't remember getting up here.

"What… happened?" Aang asked.

"You… Looked like you were going into the Avatar state or something. You were all glowy and so on. But you weren't moving." Katara said. "Almost thought you were going to stop the volcano… but you didn't. You just… Weren't moving at all."

Aang blinked. "Well that's… Weird," he said. "I don't think I was in the spirit world or anything."

"So you just… Left?" Katara asked.

Aang looked dumbfounded at Katara. Then shrugged. And then he looked down below them. "We are in position at least. Let's do it! We don't have a lot of time!"

And Katara nodded. "Yes! Come on. Let's change destiny!" she proclaimed as she started to water bend the clouds.

Chapter Text

For how long Zuko did this exercise was unclear. All he concentrated on was directing all of this heat, just like Roku had shown him in that…. Vision? Memory?

Didn't matter right now. Zuko just copied the movements of the two men he had seen, he breathed the way Iroh had taught him and constantly lectured about. And was solely focused on the task at hand.

At first… It was easy. It had to be the first fire bending exercise ever that had come easy to Zuko.

But then the smoke became thicker and it interfered with Zuko's breathing. All that heat was transferred through his body started to take its tool and then Zuko coughed. And it interrupted the entire thing.

But Zuko stood up and continued until he had to cough again.

The longer he was there, the more frequent his coughs disturbed him and they got worse and worse… But each time Zuko stood up again and continued. Even with tears in his eyes from all of the smoke, even with all of the smoke scratching his throat, and then finally it became too much and Zuko fell, and this time he rolled down several meters until it stopped and Zuko gasped for air.

Then he looked up to get a view of the town beneath and saw… A big trench was finished just as the lava finally reached them and Zuko sighed in deep relief as his head dropped down. He had made it… He had given them enough time too…

Zuko halted as he looked up to see some of the lava spillovers only for a massive gust of wind to throw it back.

It was hard to see details from up here but… It looked like an Airbender. Using amazing bending to keep the lava away from the town.

Wow…. If that was Aang… he was a lot more powerful than what Zuko had thought.

The important part though had to be… That the town was safe. And Zuko groaned as he fell down, taking a few minutes to rest before he had to… Climb back down… Great.

 


 

As Zuko re-entered town he was just a picture of miserable. He was covered in a mix of ashes and sweat turned it into a disgusting gray paste so now Zuko's entire body looked that same gray color… You couldn't even see he had a scar he was that disgusting.

That though clearly didn't matter to one specific person. Mai came running straight for him. "LEE!" she shouted running right into Zuko and embracing him tightly.

Zuko smiled lightly, aware of the other people coming towards them too and Mai let go.

Only for the gray paste to now be all over her too.

"Oh no. I got you dirty." Zuko grimaced.

Mai rolled her eyes. "Then I guess I'll just have to take a bath." she looked at Zuko. "We could take it together," she suggested.

And Zuko's eyebrows rose just as the others came.

"DUDE!" Sokka shouted. "Where were you?! What have you been doing?!"

"Erhm." Zuko swallowed. "Nothing."

There was stunned silence as they were all looking at Zuko.

Then Sokka frowned. "Yeah right."

"Were you on the volcano while it was erupting?!" Katara exclaimed. "What were you thinking?! You could have died!"

"Eeerhh." Zuko halted. "I just…. I erhm." he halted.

"Don't worry about it. I'll punish him." Mai informed as she grabbed Zuko's arm and pulled him with her while Zuko blinked rapidly.

 


 

While April was dragging away with Lee. Sokka frowned deeply as he looked after the odd couple. Then he cleared his throat. "Guys…. Listen," he said very seriously getting the attention of Aang and Katara. "I erhm… I don't mean to disturb you or throw around accusations but." he swallowed. "I think Lee has been lying to us."

They were both looking at Sokka with wide eyes.

"What do you mean Sokka?" Katara asked.

"I think… Lee is a bender," Sokka said and there was stunned silence around him. Then Sokka continued. "When we were first at the volcano Lee touched the ground. And that's how he could tell the volcano was about to erupt and… What would he be doing up there just now if he wasn't a bender?" he asked. "It's the only thing that makes sense."

Katara gasped as she covered her mouth. "You don't mean?"

"I do." Sokka nodded seriously. "For whatever reason, he is keeping it a secret. But I am fairly certain… Lee is an earth bender."

There was stunned silence as they were both looking at Sokka.

"But why would he keep that hidden though?" Aang asked. "That doesn't make any sense."

Sokka shrugged. "We know he has a history with Zhao. And we know he was caught by the fire nation at one point. We also know that whenever he confronted Zhao he was wearing a mask so… I think it's a pretty reasonable assumption that he wants to hide his identity and well. Someone being that good with blades while also being an earth bender. That has to be a pretty unique combination of skills."

They were all very seriously looking at each other.

"What do you think Aang?" Katara asked.

"I think that…" Aang hesitated. "That if Lee is a bender but doesn't want to tell us. We should respect that. We should respect him." he said. "He must have a really good reason for hiding it. And if he's ever ready to trust us with his secret. I think he'll do it. Lee is a good guy. I trust him."

Sokka looked at Aang. "You really have a thing for just trusting anything or anyone don't you?" he asked. "That's not really very smart. Especially not for a guy in your position. We still barely know anything about these two!"

Katara sighed deeply. "I don't know Sokka," she commented. "I mean they are sort of strange but… So are we. And I actually kind of like them. Especially Lee."

Sokka sighed deeply. "I like them too," he admitted. "I just want you guys to be careful alright?" he asked. "Maybe Aang has a feeling that this is all about destiny and so on. But we just saw today what blindly following fate can do. Thinking for yourself is actually really important. Even if you do have a destiny."

And Aang quieted then nodded. "You're right Sokka," he said. "Thank you."

 


 

Zuko. Finally freshly washed and clean was sitting on the bed in the room he was sharing with Mai for the night.

When it came to the water in the metal tub they had been using Zuko had honestly just given in and used fire bending to heat the water so he could get clean. Mai sure wasn't complaining at all.

Now though he was sitting there, looking out into the air and Mai sighed deeply.

"Okay, what's on your mind?" Mai asked while toweling her hair.

Zuko sighed deeply. "When I was up there. On the volcano," he said. "I saw Roku again. He was right in front of me. Just like on the boat."

Mai silenced as she lowered the towel and wide-eyed looked at Zuko.

"I tried to use fire bending to stop the lava but it wasn't working." Zuko swallowed. "Then… Roku touched my forehead and he showed me… It looked like it was the past. It was Roku himself and another man. Using fire bending to re-direct heat to tame a volcano and then I was back… And I did what they had done and it worked! He…. Helped me."

Mai was very quiet then slowly nodded. "So… Roku wants to help you. Not kill you… Well, that's good."

Zuko nodded as he swallowed. "That's not all though. The man he was with… In the past. I." he wet his lip. "I think it was Fire Lord Sozin."

Mai was quiet. "What?" she asked.

"It… It was Roku and Sozin. And they seemed to be working together." Zuko said. "I… I don't understand. I thought they were enemies."

Mai was very quiet as she just stood. Looking at Zuko.

Zuko swallowed. "I think… We need to consider that we can't trust the things the schools taught us." he said. "I mean. We were always told that the air nomads had a military. But Aang says they were all pacifists. So at least one side has to be lying and honestly… I don't think it's Aang."

Mai's head lowered, and you could see how her heart dropped.

"So yeah…" Zuko sighed as he leaned over. "What I am saying is… We don't actually know anything."

Mai glanced up. "Then where do we go from here?"

Zuko shrugged. "I don't have a clue."

Just then there was a small knock on the door and a young voice. "Lee. April? Can I come in?" Aang's voice asked.

"Sure," Mai called and the door opened to reveal a young Avatar who looked up at them. And then stepped inside closing the door after him.

Zuko swallowed. "Hi Aang." he greeted. "What's up?"

Aang sighed deeply as he looked up at Zuko. "Look…" he began. "I erhm… I know I kept saying that I had a feeling that we were destined to meet. And Aunt Wu had her entire prophecy and so on and… It's still a feeling I have but." he swallowed. "I realize. We shouldn't be tied down to just feelings. We can't just blindly follow what we think might be destinies… You know?"

Zuko nodded slowly.

"So erhm...I realize I sort of pulled you with us because of that feeling." Aang said. "So I just wanted you to know that… You don't have to come if you don't want to. It might just all be nothing." he sighed deeply. "Here I was. Thinking that Aunt Wu could just tell me what our destiny was. And I guess part of me hoped that one of my former lives would just tell me. Not just that." Aang sighed deeply. "I guess part of me was really hoping that you would have a destiny like me. That would be... Less lonely. You know?" he asked in a weak smile.

Zuko lowered his head still not replying as Aang continued.

"But… I realize now. Whether we have a destiny or not. It really is something we have to figure out on our own. I have to figure out my destiny on my own and…. So do you, Lee. And in your own time too. You shouldn't have to think it's anything big or grand. Clearly you're happy as long as you have April and actually... That's really great. I'm jealous of you to be honest."

Zuko inhaled a deep breath and then slowly nodded.

"So I won't pressure this anymore," Aang said. "You should be allowed to think for yourself and… I hope that if you figure out some things. You'll tell me… I mean if you want that is." he blushed shyly.

"Erhm thanks." Zuko lowered his head.

Aang smiled sheepishly. "So erh. Do you still wanna come with us?" he asked. "You don't have to! It's only an open offer."

For a moment there was silence between them and then slowly… Zuko nodded.

"I think I will… For a little while longer." Zuko said and then he cleared his throat. "There's something… I would like to figure out."

"Okay GREAT!" Aang just lightened up. "I'll go tell the others!" he beamed as he turned around and opened the door. He was just about to exit as Zuko yelled.

"AANG!"

And Aang halted as he turned around and looked at Zuko. "Yeah?" he asked.

"Well… Erhm." Zuko swallowed. "Remember how you asked me if I had ever seen Avatar Roku?" he asked.

Aang's eyes widened. "Yeah," he repeated.

"I… Erh." and then Zuko's head lowered. "Nothing," he said. "Sorry."

Aang smiled a little defeated. "It's okay. When you are ready then," he said. "The monks always taught me to respect people's privacy!" he beamed. "I'll see you around okay?"

And Zuko nodded as Aang finally left closing the door behind him. And Zuko deflated.

"You didn't tell him about Roku," Mai observed.

"Then I would have to tell him that I'm a fire bender." Zuko sighed deeply. "And then we would have to admit that we are fire nation."

Mai was quiet. Then walked over to Zuko and put a hand on his shoulder. Zuko swallowed as he raised his own hand laying it on top of Mai's.

"If we keep following them around. We'll have to tell them eventually." Mai informed. "You're not just any fire nation citizen… You're Fire Lord Ozai's son."

"I know." Zuko swallowed. "I wish I wasn't…. I really do. But I am. And that can never be changed." he closed his eyes. "I wish I knew what Avatar Roku was actually trying to tell me."

Slowly Mai sat down next to Zuko. Not letting go of his shoulder. "Well for now… We know he's trying to help not hurt you," she said. "I think that's the important bit. The rest we can figure out," she said in a small smile and Zuko smiled back at her.

And then Zuko leaned over giving Mai a little kiss making Mai grin.

"Sorry about this," Zuko whispered. "I know you would rather we just left and were by ourselves again."

"Well." Mai sighed deeply. "It is what it is. Where you're going I'll be going. So that's it." she shrugged.

And Zuko blushed deeply. Well like Mai had said, the important thing had to be that Roku was clearly not trying to hurt him.

Still this new information… About Sozin. It asked a lot of new questions…. What was actually going on here?

Chapter Text

Dear Uncle Iroh.

 

I realize it's actually not that long ago we last saw each other. But it feels like a lifetime.

So much has happened. And I am confused…. I am really confused.

I finally met the Avatar face to face. We have been talking quite often too. And he's nothing like what I thought he would be.

He has been telling me things. From a hundred years ago and they are nothing like what I would have thought.

He told me that the four nations were welcoming to each other and having friends across nations was common.

He told me of how Fire Nation people used to be the most welcoming of all, inviting other nations to their legendary festivals.

He told me how earth kingdom people would freely offer fire nation extra provisions when times were tough. And the fire nation allowed free passage for the two water tribes so they could always visit each other. 

And he told me… That the air nomads were a people of peace.

There were conflicts back then too, of course, but generally, the nations would work together to solve these issues.

It's all so hard to imagine. From the way the academy taught things, you would think that the earth kingdom was entirely uncivilized before the war. That they were living in huts and caves and it was the fire nation who brought the knowledge on how to build houses.

But as I traveled the earth kingdom I realized… That never made sense. Many of the old ruins here are more than a thousand years old and still standing strong.

Cities and towns I have visited have prided themselves on being several hundred years old.

The only conclusion I could make. Was that I can't trust a single thing the academies taught me. It's scary uncle. Because then I also have to admit. I know nothing.

But then I remember the things you have tried to teach me and so far, all of that has proven itself true. So It's nice. With at least one person I can trust.

There is one thing though. It's so strange. I have begun seeing Avatar Roku. Twice I have seen him right in front of me. He looked so real.

And multiple times I have seen him in my dreams. In those dreams, he always changes back into Avatar Aang. Every single time it's the same.

Avatar Roku never seems malevolent though. He always seems calming and even kind, one time he even helped me by showing me a memory from the past.

In that memory. I saw Avatar Roku and Fire Lord Sozin work together to stop an erupting volcano.

What does that mean uncle?

The tales I was told from a hundred years ago I cannot trust. How did we get here? In this world torn to pieces by war?

And how do we stop it?

I could really use your advice uncle… And a cup of your tea.

I hope you are well. And that we will see each other soon.

Sincerely.

Your nephew. Zuko.

 

 

Zuko emptily looked at the letter in front of him he had just written. It was a lot longer than he had anticipated and he frowned deeply.

Zuko was sitting outside on a big stone with crossed legs and a piece of paper. He had honestly felt like he had been intruding as they had met a man from the water tribe siblings tribe.

The man was called Bato and he had been very friendly towards all of them. Eagerly offered them both food and safety.

…. The food had been disgusting. Mai had run out deeply green in the head and then excused herself to go up to the abbey not far from there to see if she could find something else.

And here Zuko was… All alone with his thoughts and a piece of paper.

That is until one young Avatar approached him. Glancing up at Zuko. "What are you writing?" he asked innocently.

Immediately Zuko folded the paper together, several times until it was a tiny little square and put it into his pocket. "Nothing," he said as he turned his head to the side looking away from Aang.

"Oh," Aang replied.

For a moment there was silence and then. Zuko exhaled deeply as he lowered his head. "A letter to my uncle." he finally admitted.

"Oh!" Aang now lightened up. "That's great! Are you going to send it?" he asked. "I bet the abbey has some pigeons you can borrow or maybe rent."

Zuko hesitated slightly. Then shook his head. "My uncle is traveling, always on the move. So it's impossible to actually send him letters. I guess this was more for me than him. To sort out my thoughts you know." he hesitated. "I guess with Katara and Sokka meeting someone from their home it made me… Think of home. You know?" he asked.

Aang's head lowered. "Yeah," he said, then he made one elegant jump and landed beside Zuko now sitting next to him as he sighed deeply.

"You okay?" Zuko asked.

Aang's head was hanging. Then he pulled his legs into his chest. "Sokka and Katara are going to leave now aren't they?" he asked. "They'll want to see their dad."

Zuko silenced. "What makes you say that?" he asked.

"They are so excited." Aang swallowed. "The only thing they can talk about is their tribe."

"Well…." Zuko hesitated. "Wouldn't you be really excited if we ran into an air nomad?"

At that Aang halted, he looked up with wide eyes. And then… His eyes watered.

Then Zuko realized he had screwed up. He had screwed up so bad. They were never going to run into another air nomad. Because there were no other air nomads! Aang was alone.

"I… I'm sorry." Zuko swallowed. "I didn't mean."

Aang squinted his eyes. "No you're right." he swept a tear away with his hand. "Of course they would want to go home. To see their family…. If I could I would too. I just… I can never go home." he sniffed. "I guess part of me is jealous. I shouldn't be… I know I shouldn't. I…"

"I can't go home either," Zuko said.

Aang halted. Then he looked up at Zuko and Zuko looked down.

Zuko swallowed. "If I ever set foot on the soil of my home… I'll be executed," he informed. "So… I get it. I really do," he said. "Just wanting to go back! So badly! You know?" he asked. "To where things were good! And it made sense. To laugh again with… With the people I love. Just to see them! Or talk to them. Just one more time. Just eating one of these tea cakes my mom used to have? Or play with the turtleducks again. It doesn't feel like asking much. So it feels so unfair that I can't have it. And Just... Wanting all of that so much that it hurts. In here." he held a hand over his chest. "It actually really hurts. But then also knowing… It's just not possible. I want it but I can't have it. No matter what I do or say. It feels like you're breaking on the inside.... It's weird how feelings can actually hurt like that isn't it?"

"Yes… That's exactly it." Aang swallowed, now tears falling down his face. "I… I want to go home."

Now tears were running down Zuko's face too and he cleared his throat as he swiped them away. "My uncle told me…" he hesitated. "That home is what we make it," he said. "He told me I could make a new home for myself. Perhaps even a better one so… That's sort of what I have been doing. I mean. April and I are traveling so we don't really have a home. Instead, we are sort of… Each others home. As long as we are together… We're home. You know?"

Aang gasped. "That's beautiful," he said. "You're so lucky Lee."

Zuko smiled. "I know," he admitted. "So… If that's true for us. Why not you? You lost your home but… Katara and Sokka is your new home. And you are theirs. I really doubt they are just going to leave you."

Aang swallowed then suddenly, it was so quick that Zuko couldn't even shield himself. Aang launched forward and hugged Zuko tight while he cried into his stomach. "Thank you Lee!" he sniffed.

Zuko stiffened, then he cleared his throat. "That's…. Alright. You're… Welcome." he awkwardly padded Aang on the shoulder.

"And don't forget to include yourself and April in our new home!" Aang grinned up at him with tears in his eyes.

"Me and April?" Lee asked. "But… We're not really a part of your group. I mean… not really."

"Why not?" Aang asked. "You're here right? And we all like hanging out with you. So why not?"

Zuko's throat felt dry… He couldn't be part of this home cause… Aang didn't even know who he was! Zuko swallowed. And instead of objecting he just nodded making Aang grin and hug him again.

"I miss my home," Aang whispered. "But I am so glad I got to meet all of you guys."

"Heh heh." Zuko laughed stiffly and awkwardly. Well…. Shit.

Chapter Text

They couldn't stay long at this abbey with the water tribesman Bato.

While Sokka was going through some sort of ritual to prove that he was now an adult. Zuko was looking out towards the ocean and saw them in the horizon.

Fire nation vessels…. Big. Iron gray vessels. Coming their way.

As Zuko found the others Sokka and the others had just come back on shore and received some strange marks on their foreheads.

"We have to go," Zuko informed them. "Now." he pointed behind them towards the ocean and they all turned to see the vessels coming closer.

Aang swallowed. "Do they know we are here?" he asked.

"I don't know," Zuko said. "But look at the ship in front. And the flag on the mast." he pointed up.

They all looked up.

Sokka squinted his eyes. "I can't really make it out."

At that Zuko pulled a telescope from his bag and threw it at Sokka who caught it. "The top flag has the fire nation symbol on top of three black stripes. That means it has an Admiral on board."

Sokka gasped as he put the telescope to his eyes to confirm and then looked up. "Zhao?" he asked.

"We can't know for sure. But I have to say most likely." Zuko informed seriously.

"Then we better go." Katara nodded.

"And you're sure you don't want to come to meet your dad?" Bato asked. "He misses you terribly. He doesn't do anything else than talk about you. Especially when he's drunk."

Sokka sighed deeply. "I really want to see him," he said. "But we have a mission. Could you please tell him that we're sorry. And we miss him too."

Katara nodded. "Yeah."

Bato smiled lightly. "Of course," he said. "You guys better get moving then. I bet that bison of yours isn't so easy to hide."

And they all nodded only for Katara to hug Bato. "Take care of yourself." she gasped. And Sokka joined in on the hug while Bato smiled.

"Wait till I tell your father about you two." Bato smiled. "He's going to be so proud."

The two siblings smiled as they let go and then, they all turned to run towards Appa.

 


 

Even as they were in the air. Zuko felt his heart sinking as he looked towards the ocean.

Flying was a lot faster than walking. But this also meant that those ships could see them and see what direction they were headed.

"Let's head west for a bit," Sokka said. "Until we are out of sight and then turn north to get back on course."

Zuko frowned deeply. The tactic made sense but… Iroh had already figured out that the Avatar was probably heading north. Towards the north pole.

And it looked like Zhao had probably figured the exact same thing. And no matter what they did. If they continued going north they would be back over the ocean rather soon.

Still… It was their best shot. And Zuko closed his eyes as he exhaled deeply.

Worried Aang looked at him. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," Zuko assured.

"Zhao won't touch you. I promise." Aang assured and Zuko looked down as the guilt twisted in his stomach.

It seemed that right now. This entire group had gotten the idea that Zuko had been Zhao's captive at one point and that's how he had ended up with the scar.

Of course, that wasn't true…. At all.

It sure would be fun to try and explain to the group that Zuko was kind of simultaneously both above and below Zhao in rank.

Well…. For as long as Zuko hadn't been declared a traitor. Which he would be… Instantly. If he was ever seen with the Avatar.

Again…. What was he doing here?

Maybe… Zuko should just get back to Uncle. Lay low for a while. See how things played out. Mai would probably like that too. Just vacation away on his ship. Drinking tea and visiting some resorts just like Iroh always suggested.

Once the idea had hit Zuko it started to make sense… It would be suicide for Zuko to go to the north pole.

Maybe it was time for Zuko and Mai to part ways with the group and then wait and see how things played out.

It made a lot of sense. What use would Zuko and Mai even be to them at the north pole?

But… As a Prince of the fire nation, he could learn things. Get entail.

Zuko wet his lip and then glanced at Mai who wasn't that far from him… He had to talk to her about it the next time they could be alone.

Zuko already had a feeling that Mai would happily agree. But he really had to go over it with her first before they decided anything.

He had already been pulling Mai with him through so much bullshit and only rarely did she complain.

Of course, Mai would let it be known whenever she disagreed and Zuko appreciated that a whole lot. But she never repeated herself or made a massive deal out of it when she knew she had lost the fight.

Honestly, Zuko didn't deserve her at all.

 


 

Finally, as the sun was setting they landed to make camp. They were far too close to the ocean for Zuko's liking. He could see the tip of it glancing towards the horizon. Thankfully Sokka agreed that they should move just a little bit into the forest so when they lit a fire it couldn't be spotted from the ocean.

Sadly though it proved itself a bit difficult to get Mai alone.

Aang had decided to now always stick to Zuko like a leech. And while that was in some ways flattering. It could also be really frustrated having this twelve year old who had now decided they were best friends and Zuko was secretly planning to leave the party. Maybe already tomorrow… Then look for the Wani and his own crew.

And by the time Zuko went to bed Mai was already sleeping. Flying was still kind of rough on her as Mai wasn't totally comfortable so high up in the air and it made her anxious.

Zuko sighed as he laid down on his usual spot next to Mai and wrapped an arm around her like he always would. When it wasn't her wrapping an arm around him of course. Could go either way depending on the mood.

The next day Zuko didn't have much luck either. But at least they had all decided to walk for a bit to avoid being spotted. Also to give Appa a little rest, carrying that many people were hard on him and the next stretch…. Maybe the big stretch to the north pole meaning that Appa needed to be rested.

And Zuko and Mai really needed to split from the group.

Suddenly Aang stopped, and then he brightened up. "GUYS!" he shouted happily. "Look! It's a town!"

Zuko looked forward, then he paled as his eyes widened. His mouth slightly open and he swallowed.

"LET'S GO CHECK IT OUT!" Aang yelled happily only for Zuko to scream.

"NO!" And he just managed to grab Aang by the neck and pull him back so they both tumbled down on the ground.

"Lee?" Aang asked in a blink.

"You idiot!" Zuko hissed. "That's a fire nation colony! Do you want to get us killed?"

Aang smiled lightly. "It's okay. They won't kill me."

Zuko groaned as he rubbed his face. "Yeah, they need you alive. But they will kill me!" he exclaimed pointing at himself.

Aang's eyes widened. "Oh."

Sokka blinked. "Buddy… I promised Aang I wouldn't pride and so on. And whatever you did to get on the fire nation's bad side like that is probably good! But someday you really gotta tell us your story."

Zuko groaned as he rubbed his face.

"I'm feeling like I am keeping you around just because I am seriously dying to know," Sokka said.

"It's none of your business!" Zuko snapped.

And Sokka held up his hands. "Peace," he asked and Zuko huffed as he sat up and crossed his arms.

"I… I'm sorry." Aang swallowed as he sat up too. "It's just… A hundred years ago the fire nation had the best festivals and the best parties. And… Maybe in there, there's a fire bender too."

"Wait what. Hold on." Zuko blinked. "You want to meet a fire bender?" he asked.

"Well. I gotta learn fire bending eventually." Aang pointed out. "What better way to learn but to observe? And how often do I get to do that while not fleeing for my life?"

Zuko was dumbfounded as he looked at Aang.

"Fire bending doesn't… Scare you?" Zuko asked.

"I mean when soldiers are hurling fire at me sure," Aang commented. "But in general. Not really. Why should I?" he asked. "It's just another bending form! Like air, water and earth!" he beamed. "And fire bending is so cool… hot… sweltering?"

"yeah Aang. Leave the cool name calling to me." Sokka commented.

Zuko groaned. "Then you are an idiot Aang. Fire needs to be respected."

"Geesh Lee. No need to be such a sourpuss." Sokka commented

Only for Zuko to turn to Sokka, a wild look in his eyes. And then he pointed right at his scar with an angry look on his face.

Sokka's eyes widened. "Yeah okay point taken," he admitted. "Sorry about that."

"Come on. Pleeaaase." Aang begged. "They might even have fire flakes!"

Zuko halted. Aang seemed very genuine. He seemed like he… Liked the fire nation. Which was super weird. Had he forgotten it was the nation that had wiped out his people.

Suddenly Mai halted. "Lee." she gasped.

"What is it?" Zuko asked in a sigh and Mai smirked.

"If Aang really wants to go there. It looks like we are in luck." Mai shrugged.

Zuko frowned. "What do you mean?"

At that Mai walked over to Zuko. Reached into his bag and pulled out a grinning blue mask, placing it over his face. "It's the fire festival," she pointed out in a deadpan tone and Zuko's eyes widened behind the mask.

"Fire what?" Sokka asked.

"A festival where it's tradition to wear masks," Zuko informed as he lowered the mask.

Aang gasped. "So that means?!" he asked. "AWESOME!" he shouted. And he was already running.

"HEY! AANG! WAIT!" Zuko shouted…. It was too late. Aang was already gone.

Sokka groaned deeply. "Come on. I guess we better just go make sure he doesn't get himself captured on accident."

Zuko's groan mirrored Sokka's perfectly as he too started to walk with the others, placing the mask back over his face as he walked and soon Mai joined him.

"I am honestly surprised you're okay with this one," Zuko commented in a mutter.

Mai shrugged. "I have run out of fire flakes," she commented. "Also." her voice lowered. "Maybe we can find information about your uncle's whereabouts in the town."

Zuko's eyes widened.

"I was thinking... We should split soon." Mai whispered. "Your ship would be a really good place to lay low and simultaneously shake off suspicion."

Zuko gaped. "That's what I was thinking too!"

Mai smirked. "Great minds think alike," she commented then frowned slightly. "Maybe I should get a dragon empress mask?" She suggested in a whisper.

"Please for the love of Agni don't," Zuko replied in an equal whisper.

Mai looked questionable at Zuko and Zuko groaned.

"That's my mom's mask. The one she would always wear." Zuko informed. "I really don't want to be seeing my mom when looking at you of all people."

Mai was quiet for a second then nodded. "Okay, that's fair. Thank you for the warning. I will avoid the dragon empress mask at all cost."

Chapter Text

Zuko could not deny that as they walked through the town a sense of utter familiarity entered his body and it was hard not to react.

The sights, the sounds, the smells.

It was the architecture. It was these specific old music pieces. It was that kind of pantomime puppets.

The clothing style in red with more form-fitting clothes. The traditional food available at the stands.

Zuko was pretty glad he was wearing a mask so no one could see him tear up. Mai though kept a firm grasp on his arm so she could feel him shaking.

She wasn't saying anything though. That was Mai. She never judged him and never commented on it unless it was necessary.

Agni Zuko loved this woman.

Aang was beyond excited as he was running all across the place to have a look at all of the things.

Then he stopped in front of a little pantomime theater that had a whole bunch of kids seated in front of it just as the artist proclaimed.

"BEHOLD THE STORY!" the voice shouted from behind. "Of the eeeeevil air nomads!" he proclaimed as the first little puppet appeared. A bald figure wearing yellow and had a big angry permanent scowl on his face while all the kids screamed in delight and fear.

Aang's face faltered.

"Fear not! For I! Fire Lord Sozin is here to defend you!" The puppeteer declared in a different voice as another puppet appeared. This one wearing red and had a top knot and a tiny fire lord grown.

All the children cheered in support as the air nomad puppet sneered.

"You think you're so smart! But look what I got!" The air nomad for a moment vanished beneath the edge of the scene only to reappear holding a small club. "Take that! Fire lord!" and he bonked the fire lord over the head then vanished.

"What was that?!" The fire lord puppet asked turning left and right.

And then all the children screamed. "THE AIR NOMAD!"

"The air nomad?!" The puppet asked. "I should have known. Hitting someone from behind and then running away. That is something only someone without honor would do! Are you without honor children?"

And a big scream of. "NOOOOO!"

"Then let me show you! How to fight honorable combat!" The little fire lord puppet shouted.

Aang was just standing there. Completely still. His happiness had turned to shock and disbelief and he was just standing. Dumbfounded watching the play and all the children cheering for it.

It twisted in Zuko's stomach… Yet he had no idea what to do.

Then Katara moved in and grabbed Aang's arm pulling him away. "Come on. We don't have to watch this."

And Aang nodded slowly as he allowed Katara to pull him away.

Zuko sighed deeply as he followed the others. And he honestly felt bad… Zuko had seen such shows as well when he was a kid.

He used to love them. He would cheer and shout just like all the other kids and feel so proud that he was fire nation and not one of those horrible nations showed as dishonorable scum in these kinds of puppet shows.

Zuko was so lost in his own thoughts he didn't even notice it when suddenly a burst of fire came from his left and Zuko just jumped back in shock lifting his hands as if to shield himself.

"Woah there buddy. Easy." Sokka asked. "It's just a performer."

Zuko halted as he lowered his hands and saw, true enough. It was a guy wearing a bright red performer's costume. Just making shapes of fire for show and Zuko exhaled deeply as he stood back up.

Sokka glanced up at Zuko. "Fire bending really freaks you out huh?"

"No," Zuko said. "I mean… I'm mostly over it. I mean I thought I was. But I guess it has been a while since… I. It was instinct. I didn't see it!" he defended himself.

"Easy. Peace." Sokka asked again. "It's alright. Honestly… Fire bending freaks me a bit out too. Whenever I have been close to someone fire bending it always meant danger, things getting destroyed, and possibly someone getting hurt. So seeing it just being used for performance is… Pretty weird."

Zuko swallowed. Again pretty glad he was wearing a mask so Sokka couldn't see him.

"Let's just… try to relax," Sokka asked. "At least there's a ton of food here! And it smells really good! I want to taste everything!"

Zuko was silent. "Is food always the solution to you?"

"At least ninety percent of the time yes!" Sokka informed. "But that's just because I'm right and it really is the answer to most things! So come on! That stand over there smells fantastic! Whatever it is is on me!"

Zuko already knew what it was. It was okonomiyakis. Small round pieces of baked batter that could be either sweet or savory and the center would also be different depending on that fact.

Could be anything from jam to chili paste.

But Zuko refrained from informing Sokka of this… He was already nearly giving himself away as a fire nation citizen.

Zuko also kept quiet as Sokka eagerly ordered one of each kind of Okonomiyaki so he could try all of them…. Without even knowing what they were.

Zuko was quiet…. As Sokka just stuffed the chili pepper one into his mouth and then silenced. Then suddenly Sokka screamed as he tore off his mask, now making his deep red face covered in sweat completely visible, and then he ran away towards the water fountain leaving the rest of his okonomiyaki's behind.

And quietly Zuko picked up another Okonomiyaki he knew had chili in it, and slipped it into his own mouth under his mask. Then chewed as he enjoyed the warmth of well-seasoned none bland food... Darn this tasted so good.

... Also Sokka was a wimp confirmed.

Chapter Text

After Zuko had managed to get all the chili okonomiyaki's before Sokka returned. Zuko had indeed calmed down significantly.

It did help with a full stomach and that wonderfully warm sensation in his throat. Honestly, Zuko could easily go for a second batch but refrained from asking for it.

It was though amusing seeing Sokka being highly suspicious of each new okonomiyaki he tried. Though of course. Sokka was still going to eat all of them. And nothing was going to stop him.

Well aside from Zuko who Sokka constantly offered one to so actually…. Zuko hadn't even needed to be sneaky about it. Sokka just gave them to him.

Oh…

As they found Aang, Katara and Mai again. They seemed to be doing better too. Aang looked like he had all but forgotten the earlier incident with the puppet play and was eagerly stuffing fire flakes into his mouth with the mask lifted just enough to reveal only his mouth.

Then suddenly a big announcement came from the bigger stage and Aang yelled as he put the mask back on and ran towards it closely followed by the others.

On the stage was a flame shaper. A fire bender able to make shapes with his fire and thus put on a show

He was pretty good at what he did. Zuko had seen better. But he had also seen a lot worse. And well…. When you have royal parties for the elite of the fire nation you would generally have the best of the best performing. So yeah. For a colony guy, the man was good.

And he showcased different shapes of flowers and odd shimmering explosions making cheer.

"And now! For my next trick!" The man beamed. "I shall need an assistant. Do we have any volunteers?"

"ME! ME!" Aang shouted as he jumped up and down waving his hand.

The flame shaper was completely ignoring Aang though as he looked over the audience and stopped at Katara. "What about you young lady?"

Shocked Katara looked left and right, then pointed at herself.

"Yes, you. Come on. Don't be shy." The flame shaper asked.

Katara hesitated slightly but then accepted and stepped up on stage.

Zuko had seemed similar tricks before. Now the flame shaper would prove his absolute power of control over his flames by making a situation where the assistant would look to be in danger.

That more than anything proved his level of skill. The man was a professional and in complete control over the shapes and forms of his fire.

Which was obvious to Zuko. The flowers hadn't left as much as a single scorch mark, the man was clearly highly trained.

He tied Katara to a chair and then stood up. "And now! We have our beautiful princess! So I present to you. THE DRAGON!" he proclaimed as he raised his hands and the flames rose to form what looked like a dragon made of fire.

…. Okay. This guy was good! Zuko hadn't seen a lot of people able to make a dragon of fire like that! And it was very impressive as well as beautiful as the dragon was sailing over the crowds who all gasped and cheered.

And then it headed straight for Katara, zooming towards her looking like it was about to collide as people screamed in shock and horror just as Aang screamed.

"NOOOO!" And jumped in front blocking the fire with his air bending.

Zuko froze, so did the others behind him…. Shit.

"THE AVATAR!" A woman suddenly screamed and then there was chaos.

At ones, everyone's attention was on Aang and all the fire benders were shooting fire after him.

Zuko gasped as he grabbed Mai and pulled her with him as Sokka got on stage and quickly freed Katara so they could leave.

Now there was chaos all around them. People screaming and yelling that the Avatar was here and need to be caught. The guards were all around the place with their weapons.

"THIS WAY!" Sokka shouted as he ran with Katara and Aang and Zuko ran with Mai to follow only to be blocked. The town's gate was blocked.

Then suddenly a man wearing a scarf that covered his face jumped out in front of then. "Come on. This way!" he gestured. "I know a secret way out!"

For a second the group halted looking at each other then they followed. Not like they had any choice as they followed the man who lead them to the wall where he grabbed a big stone and moved it creating a hole just big enough for the grown man to squish himself through and the rest follow. As they were on the other side he reached in and replaced the stone then turned to the group and removed his scarf as he grinned at them.

"That sure was lucky I found you there!" The man beamed.

The entire group halted as they looked at the man. He looked middle-aged and scruffy, his clothes were worn out and brown, his hair a mess. He didn't look like anything special... At all.

"And you are?" Sokka asked.

"Oh! My name is Chey! And I am the second person to ever desert the fire nation army and survive!" Chey proclaimed proudly.

They all blinked at Chey.

"Of course." Chey sighed deeply. "No one cares much for the second person who managed to desert the army. But don't worry! I serve the man, he's a bit of a legend really. Who was the first person to desert the fire nation army and live! And I was thinking. You're the Avatar. So you should meet him! Master Jeong Jeong is a true fire bending master!"

And Aang gasped. "A fire bending master?!" he asked. "Who deserted the army? That's perfect."

Zuko halted. "Jeong Jeong?" he asked. "As in… Admiral Jeong Jeong?"

"The one and only." Chey beamed. "His camp is not far from here. Why don't I show you?" he asked.

"Yes! That would be amazing!" Aang beamed.

Zuko felt his own veins freeze to ice. He was not a fan of this plan! Jeong Jeong. One of the greatest Admirals and Fire benders in Fire nation history. Iroh had declared that Jeong Jeong's skill level was at least on par with his own. And maybe a lot of people made fun of Iroh but he was the dragon of the west! That was no joking matter. At all.

This was a bad idea. A really really bad idea.

"Do you think that's a good idea?" Sokka asked as he removed his mask.

"I need a fire bending teacher." Aang reminded Sokka as he removed his own mask too. "How many more chances will I ever get? I'll might never get such a chance! What fire bender would ever teach me? We have to meet him!"

Sokka was silent for a while and then he sighed deeply. "Yeah… Okay. Let's at least check it out."

And as the rest all except Zuko had removed their masks, they started to walk.

Only for Sokka to notice that Zuko was still wearing a mask.

"Dude are you going to remove that?" Sokka asked.

Zuko swallowed. A camp filled with fire nation people who would at least have an idea of what the fire nation Prince looked like? His scar was so damn recognizable. So yeah… No.

Sokka though frowned. "You do realize you are going to be a lot more conspicuous with the mask than without the mask right?"

Zuko halted…. Agni dammit Sokka had a point. And Zuko groaned but finally removed his mask. Then desperately pulled in his hair trying to make it cover the left side of his face… And now he couldn't see out of his left eye either. Great! Fantastic. Dammit.

Mai too looked on guard as she glanced around. She probably realized the same as Zuko. Technically they could try to run away.

But like with the mask. It would make them look super conspicuous.

Honestly, this could go either way. But knowing Zuko's own luck. Zuko had no reason to believe this would go well...

Chapter Text

Zuko kept trying to swallow that big lump in his throat as they walked deeper and deeper into the dark forest.

Mai never let go of his arm and looked forward with sharp suspicion in her eyes.

Multiple times they would get sympathetic looks from Sokka and Katara. Aang however seemed completely oblivious and carefree as he followed behind Chey.

Zuko seriously started to question if it was such a good idea to put this kid in charge of saving the world.

Finally, they ran into what looked like two men on outlook duty, both middle aged and they sneered annoyed.

"Chey! What are you doing?" One asked. "Leading strangers to our secret camp?! What part of secret is it you don't understand?"

"But this is the Avatar!" Chey gestured. "He's the answer to our prayers don't you see. He's the one who is supposed to defeat Fire Lord Ozai. And Jeong Jeong can help with that."

At that, both men glared at Aang who beamed back at them and waved.

"And who in the name of Agni are those guys?" The guard then asked pointing at the remaining four.

"These are my friends they help me!" Aang beamed. "That's Sokka and Katara from the Southern Water tribe. And that's Lee and April from the earth kingdom! They are my friends!"

The guards glared first at Sokka and Katara. Then turned to Zuko and Mai making Zuko's eyes widen and he turned his head away.

It… Felt like they were looking at him for a lot longer than they had looked at Sokka and Katara… Maybe he was wrong. But he felt like it.

Then a guard snorted. "Well if you want them to talk to Jeong Jeong you can try. But you know how he is. He doesn't want to talk to anyone." he stated as the two stepped aside and Chey smiled.

"Thank you, guys! I'll see you for dinner!" He cheered and both guards rolled their eyes.

It didn't look like they liked Chey very much…

Finally, they entered what looked like a temporary camp, hidden by the big forest and dark branches from above.

The smell of salt in the air revealed they weren't too far away from shore. Probably so they had the option of a quick getaway via boat if needed.

But also they were far enough away so they wouldn't be spotted from the sea.

Zuko swallowed as he looked around. There were multiple men, all looking both scruffy and disgruntled.

And all of them were glaring at the small group that entered.

Zuko swallowed as he tried to flatten his hair over his scar… not that it helped a lot. It was probably still fully visible.

"Why don't you guys sit here for a rest." Chey offered while gesturing at a fireplace. "Admiral Jeong Jeong… Doesn't really like talking to new people. So more than one might be… a bit much. I'll just take Aang to meet him."

"Hey hold on!" Sokka exclaimed as he stood up. "You think we are just letting you walk away with Aang? Alone?!"

"Sokka it's okay," Aang assured. "It's me who has to talk to him. You guys just relax."

Zuko couldn't help but exhale deeply, kind of relieved he didn't have to face Jeong Jeong himself… Well for now at least.

Sokka was disgruntled but finally sat down as Chey took Aang away and Zuko sighed deeply, holding his hands together as he looked down.

"You okay?" Mai asked him.

Zuko nodded. But didn't lift his head or his eyes.

"Being around fire nation soldiers must freak you out," Sokka commented sympathetically. "Even if they are just former soldiers."

"It's not…" Zuko tried. "Never mind."

"You do know that if there's something you need to get off your chest. We are more than happy to listen." Katara assured.

Zuko groaned deeply. "No I don't want to get anything off my chest!" he snapped at them. Then took off his bag and sat down on his knee in front of the fireplace in front of him.

Sokka blinked. "What are you doing?"

"I'm making tea!" Zuko almost growled. "You got any problem with that?!"

"Why would I ever have a problem with you making tea?" Sokka asked slightly amused. "Hey you mind making a cup for me too? I swear my throat is still burning from that weird fire nation food."

And Zuko sighed deeply. "Yeah fine," he muttered.

 


 

Zuko sighed deeply as he was putting over his tea.

It was the funniest thing. When Zuko had traveled with Iroh, Iroh would constantly make tea and ask Zuko if he wanted tea. And Zuko had been so damn sick of tea!

But once he had left the Wani and his uncle behind… Zuko had started to miss tea. So much that he had even learned how to actually make it.

Tea reminded him of his uncle. It reminded him of the calmness Iroh would always have even in the tensest situations. And the calmness would wash over Zuko.

That feeling was thrown into the carbage as suddenly the fire just flared up in a pillar and Zuko yelled in fright as he fell backward.

His fire wasn't the only one though, it was all the torches and all the fireplaces around just flaring up making several people yelp in surprise, and then… It all went back to normal.

Zuko gasped for air, almost wheezing as he tried to calm his heart back down.

"Are you okay?!" Mai rushed to Zuko's side.

"I'm fine." Zuko gasped for breath then grabbed his face. "I just got startled. I'm fine."

"Take a deep breath," Mai asked just as Aang came running with a big smile on his face.

"JEONG JEONG IS GOING TO TEACH ME!" Aang beamed happily.

Wide-eyed did everything look up at him and Aang halted.

"Is something wrong?" Aang asked.

"Oh. No." Katara assured. "And that's wonderful Jeong Jeong will teach you. Do you start now?"

"No," Aang muttered. "Tomorrow morning," he informed. "So I have to wait. This suuucks."

Zuko blinked. "That's very soon. You should probably rest while you can."

"But I want to learn fire bending now." Aang groaned as he sat down.

Zuko looked at Aang. "You should probably have a bit of patience. Learning bending forms take time." then he halted…. And then he closed his eyes. Wow… Zuko was turning into his uncle. Well damn.

Aang rolled his eyes. "I don't exactly have a lot of time, do I? I need to learn all four bending forms before summer! So why not get started now!?"

Zuko closed his eyes. Took a breath and exhaled. "You should rest for today. You'll probably have a pretty tough day tomorrow."

And Aang groaned but didn't complain further.

 


 

Zuko was an early riser. So he also often went early to bed. However, when Zuko went to bed Aang was still up excited to explore the camp.

For a short while Zuko debated whether he should tell Aang he probably should just go to sleep but then decided against it. This wasn't Zuko's business.

The next morning, shortly before sunrise. Zuko woke up as a figure moved between their sleeping forms. Zuko cracked upon an eye to glance up and see a tall slim silhouette in the cold light of dawn before sunrise.

His hair reflected the cold ligt in a gray color, his clothes were worn out and old. Yet he held himself with a certain dignity and strength that couldn't be denied.

Then an annoyed huff sounded and the man kicked Aang.

"Woah." Aang rolled around then groaned as he looked up. "What? Jeong Jeong?"

"Get up." Jeong Jeong demanded. His voice was every bit as commanding as his stance.

"What time is it?" Aang asked groggily. "The sun isn't even up yet."

"The first lesson will be now. Or there will be no first lesson at all." Jeong Jeong huffed as he turned around and started to walk away in fast strides.

That made Aang gasped and he jumped up, then ran with Jeong Jeong.

Zuko laid completely still for another thirty seconds but then he got up too, and silently started to sneak after the two.

Pretty fast the trio was moving up the mountain and finally, Jeong Jeong and Aang stood by the edge while Zuko was hiding behind one of the rocks while glancing over it to look at the two.

Then suddenly Jeong Jeong hissed annoyed. "I do not appreciate getting spied upon," he informed and Zuko gasped as he dug behind the rock. "I know you are there stranger. Get out. Now!"

For a moment Zuko was gasping for breath, he almost felt the panic taking him but then he took a deep breath, and slowly… slowly he stood up with a hung head.

"Lee?!" Aang asked stunned.

Slowly Zuko looked up, which he first now realized revealed his face… It was too late now.

He met Jeong Jeong's amber eyes and Jeong Jeong glared at him. Jeong Jeong had an intense glare. His face was framed by a wild mop of white hair and there was what looked like a knife scar across his right eye. His mouth looked angry in a permanent frown and he was glaring at Zuko in an angry gaze.

"It's okay! It's just Lee." Aang assured. "He's my friend. He erhm… He had some bad experiences with fire benders in the past so I think he just wants to make sure I'm safe."

Zuko glanced away and Jeong Jeong rolled his eyes.

"Well if you want to observe so badly you may." Jeong Jeong huffed. "However. I do not want to hear a single word or even a sound from you! If you do anything to disturb us. I'll throw you out myself. Is that clear?"

Zuko blinked… So far he hadn't said a single word. But apparently, that had been the right thing to do so… Zuko nodded slowly and then sat down with crossed legs. His hands in front of himself and a raised back as he looked up.

Jeong Jeong nodded and then just dismissed Zuko entirely as he turned back towards the view. "Now then. Our first lesson," he said.

Aang grinned. "What is it?" he asked. "Fireballs? Those cool fire kicks?"

"No!" Jeong Jeong blatantly hit Aang over the head and Zuko suddenly had several hundred flashbacks at once of instructors hitting him that same way…. And the bumps that followed. "Fire is an element that requires discipline and respect!" Jeong Jeong continued.

Zuko nodded slowly. Yes that was the first lesson of any fire bender. Checked out.

Then Jeong Jeong continued. "Fire is a dangerous tool of destruction. You lose control of it and it will grow till it consumes everything. It is a curse for those who bear the power! All it does is destroying and if you do not wish to destroy all around you you must learn discipline."

At that Zuko's eyes widened... Okay. That was a little... Harsh. Yeah, fire was dangerous and discipline was the first lesson for any fire bender so you didn't burn the training arena down. But... Still. Fire was also more than that... Like uncle would often say...

"Discipline and respect. I can do that. No problem." Aang grinned and Jeong Jeong rolled his eyes… Zuko couldn't really blame him. Aang seemed to be taking this very lightly…. Way too lightly. Even as Jeong Jeong tried to beat it into his head why he needed to take this seriously.

"First you must concentrate!" Jeong Jeong demanded.

"Concentrate. Sure. I can do that…. On what?" Aang asked.

"The sun!" Jeong Jeong pointed towards the small sliver that had started to rise. "The sun is the source of fire bending itself. Yet it is in complete balance with nature. You will feel it rise and how it comes alive as it rises. How the warmth gets greater every moment."

Zuko nodded again. So far yes, this was an exercise Zuko had done pretty much every single day while he had been at the Wani and his uncle was still doing it to this day.

Aang's face though faltered, clearly, it wasn't what he had hoped to hear.

"And as you do that you will focus on your breath." Jeong Jeong continued. "Fire bending comes from breath!"

"Oh, that's good!" Aang lightened up. "Cause I'm an air bender you see? So breathing is sort of my thing."

Jeong Jeong closed his eyes and then groaned. "You would do well to learn from your friend!" he exclaimed.

Aang blinked then looked around himself until his eyes landed on Zuko. "What you mean Lee?" he asked. "But… He hasn't done anything."

"Exactly!" Jeong Jeong exclaimed. "He knows how to sit and listen. It seems that completely unlike you he has perfect discipline and respect."

Zuko blinked astounded. He didn't really know what to feel about that compliment… It seemed like the purpose was more to dress Aang down than make Zuko feel good about himself.

Jeong Jeong really reminded Zuko of all of his most hated instructors back at the academy. Just… even more bitter than the worst of them.

"Now sit!" Jeong Jeong demanded and Aang sat down with crossed legs.

For a moment he sat there then blinked. "And what else?" Aang asked and Zuko closed his eyes… Didn't you listen Aang? Jeong Jeong already told you.

"I told you!" Jeong Jeong said in an annoyed tone. "You will concentrate and you will breathe! From now on you will not speak another word before I say you can. You will not stand up before I say you can. You will sit! You will concentrate and you will breathe."

Aang was just about to open his mouth. But then Jeong Jeong glared at him and Aang grinned as he closed his mouth and then his eyes and then exhaled deeply and finally… Finally, the kid started to breathe.

And Zuko did the same thing.

Then Jeong Jeong began to explain how Aang needed to breathe. How he needed to expand his belly and feel the air travel all the way down as far as it could. And then how he needed to exhale with his mouth, releasing energy.

It had been a while since Zuko had done this sort of exercise but quickly he fell into the rhythm. This was about how to control his own breath to perfection. How to feel how breath fuelled his own inner flame and how the sun would warm him up and Zuko inhaled deeply and then exhaled to gain complete control of his own body while Jeong Jeong kept walking back and forth between the two.

Then suddenly Aang would move only to get a whack over his fingers and he hissed. "Discipline!" Jeong Jeong barged. "Return!"

Aang scowled clearly annoyed but returned to his former status and they continued until the sun was all the way up and Jeong Jeong declared it was enough for now and they should go back to camp to get some breakfast.

Aang was complaining all the way back.

"Can you believe this?" Aang asked Zuko. "Just breathing? For how long did we do that?"

"Two hours," Zuko informed.

"What?!" Aang shouted. "Two hours?!… No wonder it felt like forever."

Zuko sighed deeply. He had learned this about Aang early on. Aang was someone who would always be moving around very fast. Like the wind itself… Patience was never something that was going to come easy to him.

"To think you stayed there for so long." Aang gaped. "I would have just left if I had been you."

Zuko closed his eyes… yeah that didn't surprise him. "Don't you think there's a good reason Jeong Jeong wants you to go through this?" Zuko asked. "Fire bending isn't exactly like the other elements."

Aang groaned. "Jeong Jeong calls it a curse. An element that can only destroy."

Zuko blinked. "Okay, I wouldn't go that far," he admitted.

"But I'm the Avatar. I can handle it." Aang assured.

Zuko groaned. Now he was starting to get kind of annoyed. "You need to master your basics before you can move on to a full set!" he snapped and then he groaned…. Yeah he was repeating all the things Iroh would always tell him. Great… Fantastic.

"But he isn't even teaching me basics. Just breathing." Aang exclaimed.

"Breathing is the basics for fire bending! He just told you that! Multiple times!" Zuko snapped and Aang pouted while Zuko rolled his eyes.

"You're the worst person when you're hangry. You know that right Lee?" Aang asked.

"Shut up Aang." Zuko replied. "And I'm not hangry," he informed making Aang roll his eyes.

Chapter Text

After breakfast, Aang was put to another exercise.

And Zuko couldn't blame Aang too much for hating this one. Because honestly…. Zuko had always despised the stupid leaf exercise.

It wasn't one from the academies. But one Uncle Iroh had tried to teach him. How Jeong Jeong and Iroh knew of this exact same exercise was a mystery.

But that's where Zuko's sympathy ended. Because even though Zuko had hated this exercise with a passion. Even though he had sucked at it. Always losing his temper and thus burn the leaf into ashes in less than a second.

At least Zuko had recognized the importance of mastering this one and given it his all! It was about being able to learn how to control the fire!

Stop it from burning, stop it from spreading. Minimize damage if things got out of hand. It was important.

Though it was just a little leaf with a small burning hole in it right now. That same principle could tame even larger fires and prevent them from spreading.

It was so damn easy to start a fire. The difficult part was putting it out. That was the point. Iroh had beaten it into Zuko's head and Zuko had listened. If he could master this, fire couldn't hurt him anymore. And he had to master that before he could probably fire bend again without that constant fear churning in his chest.

Jeong Jeong had just left Aang with his leaf while walking away. Zuko though was keen on staying here to keep Aang under strict observation to make sure he got this.

Mai was sitting next to Zuko, just casually looking over her knives and seeing which ones needed sharpening.

Sokka was sitting on a rock right next to them fishing. And Katara was practicing her water whip while Aang stood in the middle of the water, breathing heavily while glaring at his leaf.

Zuko frowned…. Aang was losing patience. It was going to happen now. Like it had done so many times for Zuko and then.

Aang let out a yell of frustration and the leaf turned to ashes in less than a second. "What's the point of all of this?!" he shouted.

Zuko was now fighting to keep his own temper in check so he didn't snap and explained all the things he had just been thinking. "Just try again." he then suggested. "It would be odd if you got it the first time."

…. Zuko didn't even want to think about how many times he had been forced to do that shit before he had become just mildly good at it… Story of his life really. Especially when it came to anything fire bending related.

"I can do this! I can fire bend!" Aang exclaimed frustrated. "Why won't he let me?!"

"Maybe because fire is dangerous and you're not taking it especially seriously." Zuko hissed.

"I am taking it seriously!" Aang exclaimed. "I've been standing here with the leaf for hours!"

Pfff. Three hours? Zuko had spent hundreds of hours at least doing it. Zuko squinted his eyes and then suddenly Aang yelled.

"Look! I did it!"

Zuko's eyes snapped open and then he saw it, a flame in Aang's hand. And Aang was grinning.

"Told you I could do it." Aang beamed.

"Aang… Put that out. Now." Zuko asked.

"It's fine. I have it." Aang threw the fire up in the air and caught it again making Zuko stand up.

"You don't even know what you're doing Aang! Just put it out!" Zuko exclaimed. "Fire is not a toy! Don't play with it!"

"Take it easy. You're always so tense." Aang giggled as he twirled around. "Oh, I know. I can do that dragon! Like at the fire festival!"

"AANG! That technique was a highly advanced fire bending technique! You're not ready for that!" Zuko shouted.

But it was too late. Aang had stretched out the flame to try and make a dragon shape, the flame sailed around him and Aang laughed then suddenly. The flames started to sputter and Aang gasped in surprise and then, it only took less than a second. He lost control and the fire was on a straightforward projectile.

Right towards Katara.

"NOO!" Zuko screamed as he jumped right in front of Katara and then blocked the flame.

For a second there was stunned silence as everybody looked at Zuko.

"I told you not the play with the fire!" Zuko roared. "Fire is not a toy! Anyone can start a fire! But once it gets going it's impossible to put out! You moron!"

"I… I'm sorry. I didn't mean." Aang sniffed.

"Whether you meant to or not doesn't matter!" Zuko stated. "Fire burns. And once something has been burned it cannot be taken back! Look at my face!" he pointed. "Can you guess how long that took? It took seconds!" he exclaimed. "That's all and now this is my face. For the rest of my life! It can never be erased! Fire is wild, powerful, and ridiculously hard to tame! If you lose control of your wind it just turns into a breeze and you're fine. If you lose control of your fire it will still be there! And it will build and spread on its own! Even a little spark can become a fire that burns down cities! That's why any fire bender needs to always be in perfect control of themselves! If you can't control the fire people will get burned! So until you can control yourself. You are not ready to fire bend!"

There was stunned silence as Zuko just stood there. Gasping for breath, red in the face.

Everyone looked at him stunned and then a little voice behind Zuko.

"Lee," Katara whispered and Zuko gasped as he turned his head.

"Katara are you alright?" Zuko asked. "Did you get burned? If you got burned it needs to be treated."

"No, I didn't get burned." Katara shook his head. "You…. You covered me. It looked like you were… Erhm."

And Zuko's eyes widened in shock and horror as suddenly he realized…. Shit.

"Lee." Sokka breathed stunned. "Did you just…. Fire bend?"

Zuko gasped, his entire body was shaking and he looked around. Then Mai stood up, resolutely and walked right over to him without any hesitation to grab his hand and stand by his side.

Aang swallowed. "You're fire nation aren't you?" he asked. "You told me that… You can never go home. That if you ever set foot on the soil of your home. You could be executed… Then you said that if you were discovered in that Fire nation colony they would kill you. So what you meant by the soil of your home was…. Fire nation soil…. Right?"

Mai hissed. "Yes… We are fire nation," she said holding Zuko's hand firmly. "We ran away together. What are you going to do about it?"

"Guys! It's okay!" Sokka exclaimed. "We get it. Being on the run as fire nation citizen in the earth kingdom has to… Really suck."

Zuko blinked as he looked up. "You're not mad?" he asked.

"No," Katara said. "We know you guys. You're good people," she said.

"And it's pretty obvious why you would keep it a secret, also why you would often be so skittish Lee," Sokka said. "It sucks that you didn't trust us enough to tell us. But okay. You didn't know us yet. And we all know how Jet turned out even if he seemed super friendly at first."

Zuko swallowed. He was shaking as there was a lump in his throat.

"I can't even imagine what it must feel like." Katara breathed. "To hate and fear your own element like that. Water bending is like a part of me… I can't even imagine."

"Hate?" Zuko turned her. "I don't.. What I mean is." he swallowed. "I respect fire. Like any fire bender must. The element of fire is dangerous and nearly uncontrollable." he said. "I know how much fire can hurt. How easily it can destroy," he said as he let go of Mai's hand. Then turned back to Aang and he swallowed.

"Air is the element of freedom. Water is the element of change and Fire." Zuko held out a hand and then, a warm fire was lit in the palm of his hand. "Fire is the element of life and death," he said. "Yes… Fire can take life. And does it so very easily. But fire also gives us life! The sun is the source of fire bending and it gives us all warmth, light, and life! Without the light and warmth of the sun, our world would be desolate! We require warmth to survive cold winters and many illnesses that grasp our bodies." he smiled as he looked at his own little flame.

Aang swallowed as he looked at Zuko. Then Zuko looked at Aang.

"This entire time you have been thinking like an air bender," Zuko said. "But the free and playful nature of air is deadly when applied to fire." he informed as he put out his flame. "The breathing exercises is about you being in control over yourself and thus your flames! The leaf!" he bowed down to grab a leaf and held it up. "Think… Just think how easy it is to start a fire even if you're not a fire bender," he said. "It's so much harder to put out. But if you can control the leaf you can control the fire and then you can do it. Put it out! And save people's lifes." he put the leaf into Aang's hands. "I know. It feels like going about it backward. But it makes sense, doesn't it? You first learn how not to hurt people before you learn how to hurt them. I know it's frustrating. I know you want to learn everything at once. As an air bender, you will be looking for ways to work around the problems and jump through some hoops. But with fire bending, you can't do that! You can't just be skipping steps while trying to be clever. You must master the basics so you don't cause destruction with all the fancy sets."

There was silence as everyone looked at Zuko. Aang looked at the little leaf in his hands and then suddenly sounded a big loud.

"Ahem!"

Zuko almost jumped out of his skin as he twirled around and saw Jeong Jeong standing right next to them and Zuko just paled.

Jeong Jeong lifted an eyebrow. "Perhaps I should just leave any future instruction to you," he commented as he looked at Zuko.

"I…. I'm sorry. That's not what I meant." Zuko gasped. "I didn't mean to disrespect you!" And then he pressed a fist against the bud of his hand as he bowed in traditional fire nation greeting or sign of submission. "I'm sorry!"

For a while there was silence. Zuko just stood there in a permanent bow and Jeong Jeong just stood there.

"Why are you apologizing?" Jeong Jeong asked.

"I…" Zuko halted then looked up. "I disrespected you." he swallowed. "Sir."

"You taught the Avatar the lesson he needed to learn." Jeong Jeong corrected Zuko. "You are a fire bender with perfect discipline and control. As well as respect and knowledge of fire! What did you need me for?!" he asked frustrated throwing up his hands.

Zuko blinked. "I… I'm not a fire bending master…. Sir." he informed.

"So?" Jeong Jeong asked. "You said it yourself! The Avatar must master his basics before he can do anything else! And as far as I am concerned he should not even have tried fire bending until he had mastered Water and Earth! Something that should be able to teach him some discipline! Like you just said… The air nomad mindset combined with fire bending is a recipe for disaster! He needs to learn how to think in different ways first!" and he huffed. "Until then though. You can exercise breathing with him."

Aang looked down. Looking deeply ashamed.

"Erhm Aang. All fire benders do breathing exercises and breathing meditation. No matter how old they are or for how long they have been fire bending." Zuko informed. "As a fire bender, you never stop training your control."

"I hope you understand how lucky you were Aang." Jeong Jeong huffed. "If not for Lee. Your friend could have gotten very hurt!" he said.

Aang squinted his eyes. "I… I'm sorry." he swallowed.

"Just make sure that it doesn't happen again!" Zuko reprimanded. "This was a lesson! Look at it as a lesson. And learn from it alright?" he asked. "Then we're good."

Aang swallowed and then… He hugged Zuko. Wrapping his arms around's Zuko's torso.

"WOAH!" Zuko shouted nearly losing footing and then he groaned.

Finally, Aang stepped away as he sniffed and dried his eyes. "Master Jeong Jeong. I apologize for my behavior," he said in a very sincere tone as he bowed for Jeong Jeong. "Please. Can we try again?"

Jeong Jeong looked at him. "You're facing the wrong direction. He will be in charge of your lessons from now on," he informed as he pointed at Zuko.

Zuko spluttered. "Wha-What?!" he asked.

"You think I was joking?" Jeong Jeong asked. "I don't do jokes. You will be the Avatars Fire bending master."

"I… What… Huh?" Zuko asked.

"It works for me. I never wanted to do it anyway." Jeong Jeong shrugged as he turned and walked away.

"Hey wait a minute!" Zuko shouted as he ran after Jeong Jeong. "I can't… I don't think you understand."

Jeong Jeong just shrugged. "As long as you follow your uncle's instructions you should be fine. He always was the superior instructor anyway."

Zuko just froze. "What?" he asked.

And then it was too late…. Jeong Jeong was gone already.

"So…" Aang hesitated. "You're going to teach me fire bending Lee?"

"I…" Zuko turned around to face Aang. "I mean I… Kind of looks like it. I guess." he rubbed his neck. "I am not very good though.... I'm sort of. Bad at fire bending." he swallowed. "So erh... For now just breathing. We'll only move on to fireballs and fire kicks after you mastered water and earth. Deal?"

Aang nodded. "Yeah… I think that's for the better."

"Oh wow." Sokka blinked from his seat. "We had one of them fire bending teachers all along… That's convenient."

Zuko's heart faltered and he looked hopelessly at Mai who looked pretty lost.

"Just to make sure." Sokka squinted his eyes. "April you're not a fire bender too are you?"

Mai sighed deeply. "No I'm not a fire bender," she said. "I am fire nation. But I am not a fire bender."

"Cool. Just to make sure." Sokka nodded and Zuko was honestly dumbfounded.

So quickly he had outed himself as both fire nation and a fire bender and they were all just…. Okay with it.

And it looked like they would be traveling together for a while now so… Then Mai stepped next to Zuko again. And once again grabbed his hand to hold it firmly so they were clearly standing together. And Zuko grabbed her hand tight as he lowered his head.

Zuko sighed. "Erhm… There's… Something else I should probably tell all of you." he swallowed. "If we keep traveling together you are going to find out one day and… It's probably better that you hear it from me."

Mai gasped.

Everyone was looking at Zuko in deep anticipation and Zuko squinted his eyes.

"I... I'm sorry." Zuko gasped. "I can't right now... I need time. I'm already so overwhelmed." he hissed as tears emerged in his eyes. "But right now I promise you! Before our journey is over I will tell you who I really am and why I got banished from the fire nation. Is that okay with all of you?"

Aang smiled lightly. "It's okay with me. I'm glad you trust us enough to say you will share your secret."

"Fine with me too." Sokka nodded.

"In your own time Lee," Katara said. "Whatever you have been through must have been awful."

And Zuko swallowed as Mai tightened her grip in Zuko's hand and then Zuko realized. She was shaking too. "April," he whispered.

Mai squinted her eyes and her shoulders shook. Then Zuko let go of her hand just so he could embrace her and hold her tight.

Where would they be going now?

Chapter Text

"So…. Erhm." Zuko swallowed. His body lightly shook as he was sitting with crossed legs in front of Aang. And the rest of the group was just looking at them. "I just…. I wanted you to get a better understanding of the leaf thing. You know?" he asked. "I mean… I think you already get it. But seeing usually helps. You know visual representation and stuff. So erh."

Aang blinked as he looked up at Zuko and Zuko coughed into his hand.

"Okay. So I made these." Zuko gestured at two small piles of wilted grass, both yellow and bone dry.

Aang frowned but nodded. "Yeah."

"Okay." Zuko swallowed. "So…. Without even using fire bending." Zuko grabbed a pair of spark rocks and put them against each other over the small pile on the left.

Just a few sparks flew from the spark rock and landed on the pile. Immediately the sparks took to the pile and it flared up in flames and then it was ash.

Zuko held a hand over it and at once even the leftover embers vanished. "See. That's even without using fire bending! Without a fire bender to control it. Fire burns and grows on its own." he said. "Imagine if that was a house. If you were fire bending inside of a house. It could burn down so fast."

Aang's eyes widened and he nodded as he swallowed.

"Now… Look at this." Zuko held a hand over the other pile and a small flame erupted from it and then… Nothing else. The flame didn't grow. The rest of the pile didn't seem to take to the fire and Zuko's eyes remained at his flame even as he removed his hand while looking intensely at it.

Aang's eyes widened as Zuko kept looking at the flame and still it didn't change. It stayed the same.

"If I let go now," Zuko said in a calm voice. "The same thing is going to happen. The pile is going to burn. You understand? I am the only thing preventing that fire from spreading."

Aang nodded. His little body shaking.

Zuko nodded then held out a hand and put out the fire in a simple gesture and his pile… Was intact.

Zuko inhaled deeply as he sat back. "So… You get the idea now?" he asked.

Aang nodded seriously.

Zuko blushed as he looked down. "Erhm. Sorry, I'm not a better teacher."

Aang gaped. "You're kidding right?" he asked. "You're really good!"

Zuko frowned as he looked at Aang.. What was Aang even talking about? Zuko was just stumbling over his words like an idiot.

"I actually get it now!" Aang exclaimed. "I get why I have to do it this way. I… Didn't really get that before." he blushed.

"I guess Jeong Jeong wasn't very good at explaining that detail." Zuko had to admit. Then he sighed as he leaned back.

"Your control is really good," Katara remarked.

"Not really," Zuko muttered. "I have to always be really careful not to lose control but at least I…" he swallowed. "I want to make sure no one gets burned unnecessarily. I know…." he lifted a hand to his face. "Just how much a burn can hurt."

There was a sad silence as everyone looked at Zuko and Zuko's hand dropped down.

"I don't want anyone else to feel that kind of pain." Zuko swallowed as he pulled his legs up into his chest.

Mai looked at Zuko with deep sympathy in her eyes. And even some pain of her own. Then she reached out and gently held his shoulder.

And now Zuko was thinking of his uncle again and he sighed…. Uncle Iroh really would have been so much better at this. Unlike Jeong Jeong who was so snappy and annoyed. Iroh seemed be an endless ocean of patience

He was calm in a way Zuko had never seen from anyone else. Even as Zuko kept screwing up in their practice. Kept being impatient… Even as Zuko yelled and screamed at the top if his lungs. Iroh's calmness and patience knew no bounds. And he would explain things as many times as it took, in a gentle voice, while never getting angry about it. No matter how many times Zuko failed… No matter how many times he screwed up. Iroh had been fine with it and encouraged him to just keep going. Without looking the slightest bit annoyed with him.

How in the world had Iroh managed that? Zuko could only pray and hope that somehow, someday. He could have a mere fraction of Iroh's calmness even when everyone else would long since have run out of patience.

Aang glanced away. Then he looked up. "So I was right then," he said.

Zuko frowned. "What?" he asked.

"About the two of us. Why it was important we met!" Aang said. "Don't you see? You were supposed to be my fire bending teacher. It was always you." he said. "That's why Roku was so insistent."

"That doesn't even make sense!" Zuko exclaimed. "I am not a good fire bender and I am an even worse teacher! Why me?!" he asked.

Aang looked innocently at Zuko. "Actually… So far I think you have been an amazing teacher," he said. "And.." he looked down. "It seems to me that you understand fire way better than anyone else we have met. You seem to understand both sides of it… Like you said. It symbolizes death… But also life. I haven't really seen any other fire bender who seems to get that life part."

"It's just what my uncle taught me." Zuko waved Aang off. "It doesn't mean I understand it. Seriously! My uncle would be so much better at this."

Aang blinked. "I suppose if you're fire nation he has to be fire nation too right?"

Zuko sucked in a breath. Then nodded. "Yeah…"

"Okay." Aang just grinned his innocent smile.

"I still have sooo many questions though." Sokka sighed. "Why do Zhao hate you that much? Who burned you and why? Why are you banished? Execution? Seriously? What did you do Lee?"

Zuko closed his eyes. Squinting them shut.

"But you don't have to tell us right now!" Katara injected. "When you are ready! So we won't bring that up again. Isn't that right Sokka?" she asked as she glared at her brother.

"Fine." Sokka groaned.

Then Katara halted. "Erhm Lee. I hope it's not too much to ask. I know you don't want to talk about it but… Do you have any pains?" she asked. "I mean with your scar. We have healing remedies at the south different from the ones in the earth kingdom."

Zuko sighed deeply. "That's very kind of you," he said. "But the area is mostly numb now. I can't… Move parts of my face. You probably noticed that." he said and they all nodded. "I need to put salve on it daily or my scar dries out and then it becomes beyond itchy and annoyed. That's honestly hell. But other than that… It's fine… Mostly."

"It must have gone really deep to damage the nerves like that." Katara swallowed.

Zuko shrugged. "I didn't see it. It was all bandaged up for the first six months after it happened."

"Six months…" Sokka commented. "And it honestly looks pretty old now. How old were you?"

"Thirteen." Zuko groaned. "I was thirteen the day my life went to hell. When I was burned on a public stage for people to see and cheer when it happened." He snarled in a frustrated tone. "And then I was banished from the fire nation with the promise that if I ever set a foot there again they would kill me! Are you happy now?!" he asked in an annoyed snap.

"Geeesh." Sokka gaped. "I knew the fire nation was evil! But Tui and La is that another level!"

"The fire nation is not..." Zuko started to snap. Then stopped himself and inhaled deeply. Then exhaled. "The people of the fire nation are a proud people," he said. "They are proud in their traditions and history. And then those on top have figured how to… Turn that pride into a weapon." he said. "When you are in it. When you're growing up there… You have no idea what is really happening in the earth kingdom. It's so far away. You grow up being told we are bettering the world. Saving it from itself… And you believe it. Everyone wants to believe that the Fire Lord has the people's best interest at heart." he closed his eyes. "That's a total lie though. He doesn't care… He doesn't give a shit. About the earth kingdom, about the water tribes… Or even about the fire nation. He just wants absolute power. And other people who want power for themselves play their cards to gain favor and stay on top. And those who realize the truth and speak up they…" Zuko swallowed. "Well… By all means, I should have died already."

"So… If you realize the truth you either stay silent or die," Sokka concluded.

"Pretty much yeah." Zuko nodded. "In the fire nation. There is no greater villain than a traitor. Anyone who dares speak blasphemy against the fire lord will be severely punished. He is to be treated like a god. You can't question his wisdom."

There was silence as they all looked at Zuko.

"It's about playing the game." Mai nodded. "Say the correct things and you get ahead. Say the wrong things and you are kept in the gutter… If you're lucky."

"Man," Sokka commented. "It sounds like it sucks living in the fire nation." then he frowned. "Why don't they just overthrow the fire lord then?" he asked.

Zuko smirked grimly. "You really think it's so easy?" he asked. "He has armies and Generals below him. Generals who want to maintain the status quo at any cost. Because if the fire lord goes they lose power! Also, the fire lord is the most powerful bender in the fire nation." he closed his eyes. "Also… People are just too scared. If you make trouble you could end up being labeled a traitor and like I said… In the fire nation, nothing is more dishonorable than a traitor. An enemy from the earth kingdom can still be considered a man of honor. Not a traitor… Never a traitor." he shook his head. "To someone from the fire nation there is no worse scum on this earth. No one wants to be labeled a traitor." 

Then Sokka frowned. "That actually made me think. If Aang defeats the fire lord. Dethrones him… Then what?" he asked. "Then what happens to the fire nation? Would there be a new fire lord?" he asked. "But… What if this new dude is just as bad as the last one? Do we need to strong arm the new guy into not being an asshole?"

"I mean." Aang scratched his cheek. "Roku just said I needed to defeat the fire lord. He didn't really give any more instructions than that. So I guess we'll figure it out!" he grinned.

Sokka frowned deeply. "That's not really good enough," he said. "What use is replacing one man if another guy just as bad takes over from him? What if the next fire lord is Zhao?!"

"Not possible." Zuko held up a hand. "Zhao is born a commoner. Only those who are from a direct line of the first fire lord, thus someone born a noble, can be fire lord. This is really important as it is believed the first fire lord is a direct descendant of the sun Spirit Agni and it must be one of his descendants on the throne."

"So we should just trust some random noble to be a good boy?" Sokka asked.

Zuko inhaled deeply.

"Well, we can't do anything about that now!" Katara snapped. "Let's just concentrate on making sure that Aang learns all four elements. That has to be the first step anyway."

Sokka sighed deeply. "Yeah okay," he said. Then exhaled deeply again. "It's really exhausting to even think about anyway."

Mai's lips were thinning. Clearly, she was thinking something…. But wasn't saying it. Zuko glanced at her but Mai's face remained stone cold.

Then Zuko returned his attention to Aang. "Anyway, that's enough sidetracking. Let's do some breathing."

And Aang nodded. "Okay." he nodded as he straightened up and then followed Zuko's instructions. Being honestly a lot more disciplined than he had been with Jeong Jeong.

Chapter Text

Zuko was sitting, trying to figure out how to do this…. Trying to teach Aang things.

It really was a weird concept to him. Zuko wasn't the one to teach other things stuff. He was the one who always needed to be taught… This was so weird.

Suddenly Mai stepped in front of him and nodded her head. "Could you come with me for a second Lee?" she asked.

Zuko blinked as he looked up. "Sure," he said as he stood up a little mystified… Mai didn't seem to be in a playful mode. So it had to be something serious. What could it be though?

He followed Mai as she lead him to the other side of the camp and then behind some trees, making Zuko more and more confused until at least they stood in front of two fully packed Khomodo-Rhinos.

"Let's go," Mai said jumping up on one.

Zuko blinked. "Wait what?" he asked. "Go?"

"Yeah," Mai said. "Let's find your ship and lay low for a while. Isn't that what we both agreed?"

"I mean… It was but." Zuko looked behind himself then back up at Mai. "Now I am supposed to teach Aang fire bending so."

"So what?" Mai asked. "Since when has that become your job?" she asked. "We are getting in way too deep Zuko. It's only going to get worse. We need to get out now."

Zuko blinked still stunned.

"Since when has the world become our job?" Mai asked. "Let's just go!"

"But…" Zuko swallowed. "Maybe this could actually work. Maybe this could be our chance," he said. "You know to… Actually stop the war."

Mai hissed. "Don't you get it Zuko? Don't you get what that means? If you of all people take down Ozai. What then comes next?"

Zuko blinked. "I don't…."

Mai closed her eyes. "You're such a fucking idiot Zuko."

Zuko still just stood there. Looking just as confused

"You'll have to take the throne you moron!" Mai snapped.

And suddenly Zuko's heart seemed to stop, his eyes widened and he looked up. "I… What?" he asked.

"Everything we had. Our freedom. It'll be over. And that is if you somehow succeed." Mai said. "So you'll be risking your life for… That!"

Zuko was gaping. His mind was trying to catch up to what Mai had just said. He knew her words made logical sense but he couldn't quite comprehend it.

And then suddenly Aunt Wu's warning came..

Equal importance to the Avatar… To fulfill his true destiny he would have to give up the freedom he had now.

She couldn't have meant. "Holy Agni." Zuko gasped. "I can't be fire lord!" he exclaimed. "I don't want to be fire lord! I can't." his entire body was shaking.

"Good of you to see reason. Come on let's go." Mai nodded her head.

Zuko swallowed as he took a step towards his own Khomodo-Rhino and grabbed the reigns then he halted.

"What are you waiting for Zuko? Let's go!" Mai said. "I'm sure your uncle will be happy to see us!"

"But…" Zuko whispered. "If Aang doesn't defeat my father…. The world is going to burn." he swallowed. "So many people will get burned. Countless of people." he held a hand up to his face.

"That's not our problem." Mai seethed. "Come on let's go!"

Zuko squinted his eyes and then he let go of the reigns and stepped backward. "I… I'm sorry Mai." he gasped. "If… If there's a way to stop this. And it all failed because of me I… I can't live with that. I'm sorry I."

Mai seethed. "You're an idiot. You're going to get yourself killed. And even if you don't you won't be free for the rest of your life!"

"I know I…" Zuko swallowed. "But I can't live with myself if I know I didn't do everything I could so no more people have to be burned…. Has to die." he walked to the head of Mai's khomodo-Rhino and looked up at her. "I wish it wasn't like this." he gasped. "I wish we could just go back to what we did. Just the two of us… Together and free." he swallowed. "But don't you see even if we did go back now. There would always be that voice in my head… I'm not strong like you. I can't just ignore it."

Mai closed her eyes. And then a single tear fell down her cheek. "You're wrong Zuko," she whispered. "I am not strong…. I'm so scared of losing you. So scared that I…" she swallowed.

"Mai." Zuko gasped as he looked up at her. "You won't… What I mean is. I love you so much. I don't want you to go. I need you with me." he said. "I don't want to be fire lord! I don't want to have to save the world! I want to be with you! I…" he swallowed. "Please don't go." he asked.

Mai was sitting on her Khomodo-Rhino. Her shoulders were shaking and tears fell down her face.

"Mai." Zuko gasped. "Mai I'm sorry I… I don't know what to do here," he admitted. "Can you please… Get down at least?"

Mai sniffed as she swung her leg over the Khomodo-Rhino and then finally glided down, now getting caught by Zuko who held her tight so she wouldn't fall.

"Don't you get it? It'll only get worse." Mai swallowed. "Right now it's just Zhao after you. But who comes next? Azula? Ozai himself? The entire fire nation military. And then if you manage to defeat all of them… Then…"

"Maybe it doesn't have to be me." Zuko then said. "Iroh has a rightful claim to the throne too! It was supposed to be his originally."

"But he's old and has no heirs," Mai whispered. "It would still fall to you eventually."

Zuko swallowed as he looked at Mai. "Mai… If nothing is done the world is going to burn," he said. "If Ozai wins. We won't be free regardless. They'll come for us and we would have to spend our lives on the run. I don't think that's what either of us wants either." he said then put a hand under her chin and lifted it so Mai was facing Zuko.

And then saw. Zuko's eyes were misty too.

"This sucks!" Zuko hissed. "I was so happy. I never believed I could ever be happy like that again. But with you… I was. I really was." his voice broke "Mai… Please. I know this is a lot to ask… A lot. But stay with me." he asked.

Mai swallowed. "You mean as in forever?" she asked.

Zuko leaned over and then pressed his forehead against her. "Yes," he said. "Please… Let's stay together come what may. To the end of our lives."

And Mai gasped, then her eyes watered and she sniffed. "Okay," she said and Zuko gasped then he hugged her tight and they both cried. Their frustrations and utter unfairness. But at least, they had now made a promise to each other.

They would stay together.

That thought was barely being thought before suddenly a massive cascade of fire came just right at them and Zuko screamed. "GET DOWN!" as he grabbed Mai and throw them both on the ground.

"What?" Mai gasped astounded.

"SOLDIERS! FIRE NATION SOLDIERS! THEY FOUND US!" a scream sounded from the camp and then there were screams and fire as people started to run around.

"Shit!" Mai hissed and Zuko gasped.

"We need to find Aang," Zuko said as he sat up and turned.

"ZUKO WAIT!" Mai screamed and Zuko turned to her as she jumped up, reached into one of the saddlebags to pull out a blue mask she threw at Zuko.

"Thanks!" Zuko gasped as he grabbed the mask and quickly put it on and then they both ran… Into the fire.

Chapter Text

Aang gasped as he jumped left and right trying to avoid fire blasts that came from all sides. "Where are they all coming from?!" he shouted.

Sokka hissed. "They were smart. They made a big circle around the camp before entering so there would be no direction to flee. That though requires a lot of people. So only someone who can control multiple platoons. Meaning someone with the rank of General or Admiral would be able to pull this off!" he hissed.

Aang's eyes widened. "You don't mean?"

"Zhao." Jeong Jeong suddenly seemed to seethe just as a man with graying hair and a burning look in his eyes approached them.

"Jeong Jeong." Zhao addressed the older man. "How far you have fallen. It's almost a shame. You were formidable once."

"Do not concern yourself about me." Jeong Jeong huffed as he took a stance. "My power has far from veined. The student has not become the master! Only arrogance could make you think otherwise."

Zhao glared at Jeong Jeong. "You are surrounded," he informed them. "It would be in everybody's best interest if you just gave yourself up nice and easy," he said.

"Hah." Jeong Jeong let out a laugh. "We both know the punishment for a traitor is death. And I am quite sure it's not just any easy death the fire lord would grand me. No… He would like to make an example out of me. Like he did his son. So if you don't mind. I would rather go out with a fight."

Zhao shrugged. "Suit yourself then.": he snapped a finger. And then five fireballs were sent at Jeong Jeong who raised his arms and blocked all of them.

Then he made a big wall of fire to separate them from Zhao. "GET OUT OF HERE!" Jeong Jeong shouted.

"What about Lee and April?!" Aang exclaimed horrified. 

"They can handle themselves. We'll get them later!" Sokka exclaimed as he grabbed Aang's arms as Zhao simply cut through the curtains of fire and walked through while a whole platoon of soldiers went for Jeong Jeong forcing him away from the group.

Zhao sneered as he reached a hand towards them. "You won't get away from me again. Avatar!" he said.

Just as a figure came jumping through the flames and landed a kick right in Zhao's head sending Zhao to the ground and the figure wearing a blue grinning mask landed in front of the group.

"LEE!" Aang shouted happily.

"THIS WAY!" April's voice sounded from their left and the group all turned to follow the young woman who waved them over.

But even as they ran they ran into even more soldiers and fire kept coming at them forcing the group to dodge and split.

 


 

Zuko hissed while he was swinging with his swords and doing his best to shield the others from the fire without giving himself away as a fire bender!

They were overwhelmed! There were so many!

Then suddenly a big blast came for Sokka that Sokka couldn't possibly block by himself and Zuko jumped in front of Sokka blocking the fire for him with his swords. The power though was so great that it knocked Zuko to the side and then suddenly a strong hand grabbed him and a familiar voice spoke.

"Got you!" Zhao exclaimed in a triumphant voice.

"LEE!" Aang shouted.

"I heard that's the name you are going by these days." Zhao sneered. While Zuko was wriggling trying to get himself out of Zhao's grab. "But you never fooled me," he stated as he grabbed Zuko's mask. "PRINCE ZUKO!" he shouted as he just ripped the mask off revealing Zuko's face and Zuko gasped.

"Wait… what?!" Sokka shouted.

"So the rat never told you?" Zhao asked as he grabbed Zuko's neck and held him down forcing Zuko down on his knees. "Fire Lords Ozai's son! Don't worry though. That will soon be rectified." he grinned as he pulled out a dagger with his free hand.

Zuko hissed from the ground where he was held down. "You're really so arrogant to think you can just kill me without facing any consequences?" he asked.

"Of course there will be consequences," Zhao smirked. "Mainly a handsome reward you see… After our first encounter at that market, I send a letter to the fire lord. I told him I suspected his son might have gone vigilante though I had yet to know for certain. I got an answer surprisingly fast. You know what it was?" he asked.

Zuko closed his eyes.

"Find the truth," Zhao said. "If your theory is correct. Deal with the traitor. Do it quickly, quietly, and be over with it so he can never again soil the honor of the fire nation. Those were his orders." he started as his knife moved towards Zuko's throat.

And then a throwing knife sailed through the air and hit Zhao right in the shoulder making him let out a scream as he let go of Zuko.

"GET AWAY FROM ZUKO!" Mai screamed as she jumped right for Zhao's whose eyes widened in surprise.

Suddenly the seasoned fire bender found himself in a one on one combat with a young girl who was overwhelming him while all Zhao could do was dodge.

"You're not taking him from me!" Mai seethed as her knife almost sliced Zhao's throat. Missing only by a hair as Zhao had managed to lean his head just slightly back. "I'LL KILL YOU BEFORE I'LL LET YOU TAKE HIM!"

And then Zhao bowed and finally got an opening as he send a fireball right at Mai's stomach making her fly back.

"MAI!" Zuko screamed as he ran after her just as multiple fire benders were in the way.

Well…. Fuck it. Zuko was exposed already. There was no longer a point in not fire bending. And then he raised his hands as the fireballs came for him. Blocking two, dodged three others. Jumped up to make a fire kick. Grabbed one soldier and threw him into the next.

Sent three precise fireballs to knock three soldiers down and finally he was at Mai's side. "You alright?" he asked.

"Fine." Mai groaned.

"DUDE!" Sokka shouted. "I thought you said you were bad at fire bending!"

Zuko blinked as he looked up. "I am pretty bad at fire bending."

"Then what in the name of Tui and La do you have to do to be good then?!" Sokka shouted just as Zhao had recovered and came after them again.

"HEY ZHAO! OVER HERE!" Aang suddenly shouted from the other direction. "Grand Price! This way!"

Zhao sneered as he seemed to debate that for a second but finally chose Aang as he yelled sending a fireball at Aang who jumped and ran the other way.

"What… What is he doing?!" Zuko gasped.

"Giving us an out so we can take Appa. Get into the air and Aang can fly up to meet us there." Sokka gasped. "Let's go!"

Zuko gasped as he ran with the others then jumped in front and blocked them all from the fire. Then returned the flames as he gestured for the others to come.

And finally, a roaring bison came flying only for the fire to come flying at Appa.

"NO!" Zuko shouted as he raised his arms and just managed to put them out before they reached the bison and he hissed. "I have to concentrate on covering Appa! You're on your own!" he shouted.

Sokka hissed. "Man… I wouldn't have guessed but it's super great to have a fire bender on our side! And one who's super good at it!"

"I AM NOT GOOD AT FIRE BENDING!" Zuko yelled as he put out three other fireballs flying at incredible speed above them.

Finally, Appa came down while Zuko just stood his ground covering them all…. And kept covering… And kept blocking the fireballs.

Until someone suddenly just grabbed the neck of his clothes and pulled him up.

"WOAH!" Zuko shouted in surprise as he was nearly choked. But he was up in the saddle and they were in the air. But still, Zuko had to stand up and block the fire one after the other, and finally… finally they were out of range and Zuko just dropped down. Swiping his forehead from sweat.

"Zuko!" Mai gasped as she was all over him.

"I'm fine." Zuko gasped. "I'm okay…"

Sokka lifted an eyebrow as he looked up. "Sooooo…. Zuko?" he asked.

Zuko's eyes widened just as their final member. A young air nomad dropped down from below.

"Wow, that was close." Aang gasped.

"We need to put as great a distance between us and Zhao as possible!" Mai exclaimed.

"Oh, we should be fine for a while." Aang smiled. "Look." he pointed down.

Zuko blinked as he crawled over the saddle and looked down to see all of the docking ships at the shore on fire.

Zuko gaped. "How did you manage that?" he asked stunned.

"I didn't do anything. Zhao did." Aang said. "I remembered all the things you had taught me. About control. About how fire spreads on its own so you have to be careful and I realized… You have such amazing control Lee… But Zhao doesn't. He clearly doesn't care if houses burn down when he fire bends. So he doesn't care which way all the sparks fly. I just had to make him aim at me and he didn't even realize what he was doing before it was too late."

"Oh." Zuko looked up.

"If Zhao had just listened to you it wouldn't have happened." Aang grinned then he halted. "So… I guess your real name is Zuko then."

Zuko's eyes widened.

"And did Zhao say…. Prince?" Katara gasped.

"I… I…" Zuko shook and Mai draped her arms around him while Zuko lowered his head. "Yes… I am." he swallowed. "Prince Zuko… Son of Fire Lord Ozai. Rightful heir to the dragon throne."

And Mai held him even closer.

Zuko swallowed. "The one who burned me. On a public stage…. It was my father. Fire Lord Ozai." and they all gasped.

"And he put it on display." Mai seethed. "He was proud of it. That sick bastard!"

"Mai." Zuko gasped.

"I am just saying it the way it is!" Mai exclaimed loudly as she let go of Zuko only to place herself right in front of him. Almost like a shield.

"Zuko had done nothing wrong! Absolutely nothing! All Ozai was looking for was an excuse no matter how flimsy it was! So he put it all on a big stage with an audience! Told Zuko to fight him in a fire duel!" Mai seethed before she continued.

"Zuko was just thirteen and didn't want to fight his own father! So Ozai burned him! In front of everyone! And they cheered while Ozai triumphed from having burned a child! As if that is something to be proud of! But yeah. Bastard couldn't be happier with himself! Then he loudly banished Zuko in some show of supposed mercy! So the fire nation people could all talk about how merciful he is! But really what Ozai was hoping for was that Zuko would die on his own out there! Then Ozai could wash his own hands off his death! That's also is what this Zhao thing is about. He wants Zhao to kill Zuko quickly and quietly so no one will know about it! Ozai is no man at all, he's a sick monster and that's the truth!"

There was stunned silence as they were all looking at Mai. Then at Zuko who sat with a bowed head.

"That's… horrible." Katara gasped. "I'm so sorry."

Sokka swallowed. "Dude. When I keep thinking your story couldn't be any worse. It just somehow is."

Zuko sniffed, then had to wipe away some tears.

"Zuko." Mai turned to him and then hugged him.

Aang swallowed. "You really weren't kidding at all. They really will kill you."

Zuko nodded as he squinted his eyes

"And you didn't do anything?" Katara asked.

"I disrespected his war council," Zuko whispered. "I disagreed with a plan that would sacrifice new troops to gain more experienced troops access elsewhere… I tried to protect our people."

"And that was it?" Katara asked.

"That's what led to the public duel," Zuko whispered. "The rest… because I didn't want to fight." he sniffed. "That was it."

"As I said," Mai whispered as she looked up. "Ozai had been looking for an excuse. All he needed was the tiniest reason."

"But… Why?" Katara asked.

"Because." Zuko swallowed. "I'm a really bad soldier. I don't know how to just… follow orders without question. If I am asked to hurt someone I am going to ask why. In his words… I lacked humility and respect."

"So thinking for yourself was the crime?" Aang asked.

"No," Mai said. "Having a heart…. As the only one at that sick place. Zuko had a heart. And that was his only crime."

The other three looked shocked. Aang and Katara both looked on the verge of tears and Zuko was shaking.

And then suddenly Aang rushed forward and hugged Zuko too. "You're with us now! We won't let him hurt you!"

"Yes!" Katara cried as she embraced him too.

And suddenly Sokka just broke together as well as he cried. "You will always have a place with us Lee!" he cried as he joined the massive group hug. "I'm sorry! Zuko! I'm not even mad or anything just don't cryyyyyyyyy!" Sokka cried loudly.

Mai hissed as she was somewhere in the center of the pile and then pushed them away. "GET OFF!" she shouted and they all fell back.

Mai glared at all of them, and the three kids held up their hands in surrender.

Zuko's eyes though were dropping as he was getting drowsy.

"Zuko," Mai exclaimed.

"Sorry I just." Zuko laid down. "I am really tired."

"It's okay," Mai whispered as she slipped a hand through his hair. "You'll be safe. I won't let anyone take you from me."

Zuko smirked. "Yeah… I noticed," he said then he exhaled deeply and seemed to fall into sleep while Mai exhaled deeply.

"So," Sokka commented. "April… Or should I say Mai?"

Mai rolled her eyes. "My name is Mai. I'm the daughter of a fire nation noble. As a kid I was brought to the fire nation palace to be Princess Azula's friend. That's where I met Zuko. I grew up with him until the day he got burned and banished. Half a year ago we met here in the earth kingdom. We fell in love and decided to run away together. There! That's my back story. Any questions?"

"Yeah that's fine… Wait. Hold on. Princess Azula?!" Sokka asked. "Lee has a sister? I mean Zuko has a sister?" he corrected himself.

"Yes a little sister. No, he doesn't have any more siblings than that. I haven't seen her for three years so I don't know where she is right now. Any more questions?" Mai asked.

Everyone was silent. Then shook their heads and Mai offered them only a short nod as she laid down next to Zuko and then laid an arm across him while she glanced up.

Honestly looking mostly like a vicious tiger who was guarding her cub.

The rest of the group decided to just keep a respectful distance for the rest of their flight.

Chapter Text

Sokka grumbled annoyed as he was hitting two spark stones against each other over a bunch of wood that just refused to take to it.

Aang was blinking as he looked at him. And sitting next to Aang was Zuko sitting there with an empty look in his eyes and his knees pulled into his chest while Mai seemed to be keeping constant guard.

Then suddenly Sokka blinked as he looked up. "Hey Zuko. Would you mind?" he asked.

"Huh?" Zuko looked up.

"You know." Sokka gestured at the fireplace.

"Oh. Yeah. Sure." Zuko held a hand over the fireplace and in a second fire just erupted and was burning happily. Then Zuko retrieved his hand and sighed deeply as he returned to pulling his knees into his chest.

"Thanks!" Sokka beamed. 

Concerned Katara looked at Zuko. "Are you okay?" she asked.

Zuko shrugged. But didn't reply verbally.

"Don't worry. He just needs a good meal! Then he'll feel better." Sokka stated as he pulled out cooking utensils and whatever little food they had with them. "You better start cooking Katara!" he grinned.

Katara glared at her brother. Sokka didn't seem to notice as he continued chatting in a warm tone now addressing Zuko again.

"So a Prince. Huh?"

Zuko glanced away.

"Seriously wouldn't have guessed," Sokka commented. "You don't seem snobbish at all. And you even cook?! What sort of Prince cooks?"

"Mai and I have been out in the field alone for a long time. If we didn't cook for ourselves we would starve." Zuko rolled his eyes. "And we share all responsibilities! Also I'm not a Prince anymore." Zuko muttered in a dark tone. "Now Zhao is sure to report his findings to my father and I will be declared a traitor for real. Which means they will now actively be looking for me to kill me."

"Oh." Aang's face faltered. "Things really are different now. Huh?"

"Yeah. Before I was just banished. Now I will be wanted." Zuko sighed deeply. "That's a big difference."

There was silence as they all looked sympathetically at Zuko. Mai shuffled a little bit closer as she swallowed. 

"Well." Aang then chipped in. "I'm wanted to! So it's all good. Now we are just wanted together!"

Zuko didn't look at Aang. He averted his eyes.

"I also can't deny… Now it makes sense why it would be so super duper important for you and Aang to meet." Sokka commented. "I hate to admit it. Believe me. But Aunt Wu may actually got something right here."

"What do you mean?" Zuko asked as he glanced up.

"Think about it. Two people of equal importance to stop this war!" Sokka exclaimed. "And I thought that's just insane. I mean who could possibly be as important as Aang?!" he asked. "It's a simple answer though… The actual heir to the Fire Nation throne."

Zuko sucked in a deep breath.

"This is perfect!" Sokka beamed. "That really is how we could end the war for good! You're a good guy with legit empathy! If we put you on the throne!"

"I DON'T WANT THE THRONE!" Zuko suddenly shouted and they all halted. Zuko gasped a rattling breath. "I just want this stupid war to end and then… I want to be left alone. And live my life with Mai." his forehead dropped down on his knees

There was silence and Aang swallowed.

"I get that," Aang whispered. "I…. I wish I wasn't the Avatar," he said. "I don't want to fight the fire lord. I don't want to fight anyone," he said as he went into a position the same as Zuko's. "But if I don't… So many people are going to be hurt." he closed his eyes.

Zuko gasped as he looked up. Then Aang swallowed.

"What I know is that it's a decision you have to make on your own Zuko," Aang said. "We can't make you become fire lord. And you have a right to say no," he said. "The decision has to come from you… Like my decision to fulfill my destiny had to come from me. If I didn't decide… I wouldn't be able to fight with all I got. Which is what I need to do to win this thing."

Zuko squinted his eyes. "I'll help you with your fire bending for now," he said. "I… I'm not sure about the throne yet. Okay."

"Well," Sokka said. "It's not even relevant for now. So don't worry about it buddy." he smiled lightly. "Also, this does not mean that Aunt Wu is a real fortune teller! It just means she already knew who Zuko was and could put two and two together!"

"Give it a rest Sokka," Katara asked.

"It does explain why Roku was so insistent that we should meet," Aang commented. "Though I feel like… There's even more than that. Something more… Personal." he glanced up.

Zuko swallowed then glanced up. "I… I have seen Roku. In my dreams. And twice while I was awake." he admitted.

Aang's eyes widened.

"At one point he showed me…. A vision from the past." Zuko whispered. "And it was… Avatar Roku and Fire Lord Sozin working together to stop an erupting Volcano. It was really weird."

They all looked at Zuko.

"Working together?" Sokka asked. "That is weird."

"Yeah," Zuko said. "The academies always taught us that Avatar Roku turned traitor against the fire nation. And traitor against the royal family trying to kill Sozin. Only Sozin's power as a descendant of Agni saved him. Then Roku declared he would end the royal line even if it cost him his life….. However. Those same teachers and books are also the ones who taught us that the Air Nomads were violent and had an army so… I don't think that's trustworthy at all."

"It's not," Aang said. "Our ways is one of none violence! And we certainly didn't have an army!"

"I know. I know." Zuko assured. "It's just to say that… When that is so untrue. Whatever they said about Roku and Sozin probably isn't true either. So actually… We don't know anything!"

Aang sighed deeply. "If only I could talk to Roku by myself. He would know what happened back then."

"You can't?" Zuko asked.

Aang shook his head. "I need some sort of help," he said. "When I have seen Roku in my dreams he was unable to speak. All I saw was his image… And then he would always turn into you."

"Okay weird. When he shows himself to me he always turns into you." Zuko admitted.

Aang blinked. "Well erhm... I guess that makes sense. I mean he did become me. I am his reincarnation. But why you?" he asked. "Are you... Also his reincarnation?" he frowned deeply. "Is that even possible?" 

"Maybe Roku split himself into two people and became the two of you?" Sokka suggested. "Hey Zuko can you bend more than one element?" 

"No!" Zuko exclaimed annoyed. "I only got the one and I suck at it!" 

"Also that theory is dumb," Mai informed in a deadpan tone. 

Sokka shrugged. "Spirit mumbo jumbo really isn't my thing at all!"

"There's more to it," Aang concluded. "I feel it… One last piece we need to understand."

"I wish my uncle was here so I could ask him." Zuko sighed deeply.

"You really think your uncle would know?" Sokka asked. "Why would he know?!"

"My uncle knows a lot!" Zuko exclaimed. "He knows about spirits and the spirit world and stuff! He might actually know something."

"We should definitely meet him someday," Aang smirked. "He might actually be able to teach me some stuff." then he sighed. "Too bad we have no way of contacting him."

Zuko sighed too. "Yeah…. That's too bad."

 


 

"Master Jeong Jeong! Master Jeong Jeong!"

Jeong Jeong groaned deeply. After deserting the army, he had finally managed to make a camp and live in just mild comfort. All of that had been ruined… And it was because of this idiot.

"What?" Jeong Jeong asked annoyed as he glared at Chey who came running towards him. Sadly the fool only had a few sod marks on his face. No actual burns.

Chey was just smiling innocently as he held up a hand with a folded piece of paper. "I found this on the ground back at the camp while the fighting was going on. Looks like someone dropped it."

Jeong Jeong rolled his eyes. Chey better hope this was actually worth his time.

"It's addressed to Iroh sir," Chey informed and Jeong Jeong's eyes snapped open. Then he snatched the paper away from Chey.

"Give me that!" Jeong Jeong demanded and unfolded the paper to read the first few words.

"Dear Uncle Iroh."

Jeong Jeong exhaled deeply… Oh… just the Prince who had been writing to his uncle. And without reading anymore Jeong Jeong folded the paper together yet again. "It's rude to read people's letters," he informed.

"Well maybe it was important," Chey said. "I only know of one Iroh. What if they had gotten word of our…. Secret benefactor?"

"Shush!" Jeong Jeong snapped. "The rules are simple! Not one word!" he stated holding up a hand then groaned "Well I suppose this letter better be sent to the rightful receiver." he commented as he put the letter in his pocket. "I should make a report myself anyway. Our….. Secret benefactor." he coughed into his hand. "Would like to hear of this incident for certain."

Chapter Text

It didn't take a lot of time to just decide they should be heading straight towards the North Pole from now on.

With Zhao having more power than ever and more reason to get to them they just had to get moving and fast.

They could only stop for the nights when they needed to rest and sleep. This night they met another group of travelers who had already built a fire and were willing to share their food.

To be honest that was a bit to good to decline. No one in the Avatar group were good cooks…. Not a single one.

Aangs food would always be really bland. Zuko's food would be burned more often than not. Mai's food tended to be undercooked and Katara's food tended to be incredibly salty for some reason.

That was nothing though because the one time they had forced him into cooking…. Somehow his feast managed to be all of these things combined. Bland, burned, undercooked and the meat pieces were basically just clumps of salt… It was uneatable.

It was impressive that Sokka had managed that. To be worse than all the rest combined. And they all sucked.

So a warm bowl of soup that actually tasted good was to be savored and Zuko enjoyed the warmth traveling down his throat as Mai sat next to him quietly eating as well.

"So," Mai whispered. "I guess we'll be going to the North pole after all."

Zuko lowered his spoon. "I'm sorry," he whispered. "The moment Zhao removed my mask things… Changed." he swallowed. "It's no longer safe just to return to the Wani. It doesn't matter where we go… he'll come for us. The window of turning around is gone." he closed his eyes. "If just it wasn't for my face. But it's much too recognizable."

Mai looked down. "Yeah," she said. "The fire nation wants to kill you… The earth kingdom will want to kill you… Nowhere is safe."

"I'm sorry." Zuko swallowed. "I didn't mean to drag you into this."

"You didn't drag me into this. I chose to come." Mai said. "You promised we'll stay together forever. You're not going back on that are you?"

"No. Of course not." Zuko gasped. "Though I wouldn't blame you if you left…"

"No way. You're the best thing that ever happened to me." Mai smiled lightly. But then her smile faltered and she looked serious. "After you got banished I… I felt nothing. I didn't feel happy. I didn't feel sad… The entire world could burn as far as I was concerned and I wouldn't care. I still don't… no really." she said as she glanced up. "I think in many ways. I could might as well have been a corpse. I wasn't exactly living…. But then there you were. You made me so mad." she smiled amused. "That may not seem like a good thing. But I hadn't even been mad for three years. And then I was sad…. And then I was happy. And I feel again." she said. "It's not always nice. Sometimes it hurts but… I'm alive. Because of you. I'm alive again." she looked up at Zuko meeting his golden eyes.

Zuko was stunned for a bit. Then he smiled softly. "I don't get what you see in me," he whispered. "I brought you so much trouble. And I haven't been able to give you anything… You deserve so much more."

"I don't want more. I just want you." Mai informed bluntly. "So… just keep your promise alright? You're mine."

Zuko smiled. "Okay," he whispered as he shifted his spoon to his left hand so he could reach out with his right and hold Mai's hand while they both ate. And both blushing just a little.

Just as one of the travelers exclaimed. "What no. My grandad is right here!" he pointed at the old man right next to him. "He saw the air nomads just last month."

Zuko blinked as he looked up at Aang's mouth was open in shock. Then his eyes watered. "There are still nomads?" he asked.

Zuko was shocked…. What?

"At the northern Air temple?" Aang gasped.

And then suddenly Zuko's heart dropped and his stomach turned to ice…. Oh no.

"Saw them flying around myself." The old man proclaimed.

"I can't believe it!" Aang beamed. "That's amazing. We have to go there! We just have too."

"Erhm Aang." Zuko tried and Aang turned to him.

And Aang just had the happiest look on his face that Zuko had ever seen. He was shining and crying from pure hope and happiness and Zuko just froze.

"What is it Lee?" Aang asked so innocently.

"Errh…. About the northern air temple. There's… Something you should know." Zuko said.

"Yeah?" Aang asked.

"I… I…." Zuko swallowed. "Sorry it's nothing." he lowered his hand.

Aang blinked confused. "Well okay then," he said and then grinned. "WE'RE GOING TO THE AIR TEMPLE TOMORROW! I can't wait."

And Zuko's head just dropped.

"Let me guess," Mai whispered. "There are no air nomads there?"

"No… Just an inventor who figured out how to make gliders." Zuko swallowed. "It's something about that places having an upward drift so they can fly without being air benders. But no... They aren't benders. They are earth kingdom... And incredible cooperative when I came there as a fire nation representative."

"You should have told him that," Mai commented as Aang was now loudly telling the others about air nomad traditions.

"I… I can't. He's so happy!" Zuko hissed. "Erhm… Maybe you could?"

"No way!" Mai snapped back. "This one is on you."

Zuko's mouth snapped shut… He was in so much trouble now.

Chapter 46

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

As they were flying towards the northern air temple Zuko was just sinking lower and lower in his position while mindlessly pulling his hair over his face.

"Don't worry Zuko," Sokka smirked. "Just like with the travelers yesterday we'll call you Lee. We totally get why your identity should be a secret I mean geesh."

And Zuko just sank even lower over the false assumption. This time… He got no sympathy from Mai. She was cold as stone.

And then came the shout. "THERE THEY ARE!" Aang shouted. He was excited. "They…" and then he halted. Just halted. Zuko looked up and saw how Aang's entire body just lowered. Even though Zuko could only see his back. He could practically feel Aang's heart shattering.

"Wow, I don't believe it. He was right." Sokka gasped. "Air benders!"

Zuko squinted his eyes.

"No… They are not air benders." Aang informed.

"What?" Katara asked stunned. "But… They are flying!"

"No. Not flying… Gliding." Aang informed. The disappointment in his voice truly was deep. "They are not manipulating the winds. Just gliding on currents already there."

Zuko swallowed. "I…" and he halted. It was too late now. If he was going to say anything it should have been before. Obviously.

Then suddenly all the flying figures came towards them and flew beside them. Wide-eyed did Zuko look up again to see this whole bunch of kids.

"WOAAAAH!" One kid shouted. "You're flying too! That's so awesome!"

A little girl giggled. "He looks so cute! Can I pet him?"

Then one kid who seemed to be sitting in some sort of contraption with his legs tied up grinned. "That's cool and all but watch this!"

And then he slowed a bit down until he was behind them, only to showcase a great somersault in the air and multiple arial moves.

For a moment Aang looked stunned at him. Then slowly a grin spread across his face. "You think that's something?" he asked as he grabbed his glider and folded it out. "WATCH THIS!"

And Aang was off. His speed was far greater than any of the others. His ability to manipulate the winds allowed him to shoot up and drop down again. He formed the clouds behind him and put all the rest of the children to shame.

They weren't mad though. They were oooing and aaahing until Aang finished in one final loop and landed back on Appa's head while all the children laughed and cheered.

The kid with the wrapped up legs laughed the hardest and he beamed showcasing the gap between his front teeth. "You're an air bender! That's awesome."

Aang smiled a little shyly. "Thanks."

"You gotta come say hey to my dad!" The boy grinned. "We live in the temple! COME ON!" he grinned and they all headed towards the temple.

Aang was silent as he stood on Appa's head watching all the others land not far from them ahead.

"Aang?" Katara asked.

"They are not air nomads," Aang whispered. "But they are flying on the winds. And laughing while enjoying the freedom of air." he turned to the others. "I want to talk to them."

Katara smiled lightly. "Of course." she nodded. "Let's go meet them all probably."

And Aang grinned happily by the prospect while Zuko let go of a sigh of relief. Well, this hadn't gone as bad as he could have feared.

Now he just hoped that no one there would recognize him…. Zuko had changed his hair and clothes. Unfortunately, his scar was pretty much…. One of the most recognizable features ever… joy.

 


 

As they all landed on the ground, they watched the other kids freeing themselves of their gliders. And helped the kid with the wrapped up legs revealing that he was in a wheelchair he happily rolled towards them.

By the sight, Zuko's heart sank. But the kid didn't seem to mind at all. "You came!" he beamed happily. "Hi I'm Teo! Who are you guys?" he asked.

"I'm Aang." Aang smiled. "This is Katara, Sokka, Lee and April." he presented the rest.

"Awesome meeting you all." Teo smiled the warmest most sincere smile Zuko had ever seen. "Hey, dad! DAAAD!" he shouted at a middle aged rather strange-looking man. "Did you see? Aang is an Airbender! A real Airbender!"

The man came towards them, chuckling amused and smiling a smile very similar to his son's and Zuko tried to hide his face. He absolutely recognized this man. His eyebrows were about half seemed to be missing. His odd hair that seemed to go in every direction at once as well as his beard was a clear reminder.

"A real Airbender?" He asked. "Then you must be the Avatar!" He smiled at Aang. "What an honor! What an absolute honor to meet you!" he smiled so warmly as he grabbed Aang's hand and shook it.

"Thank you, sir." Aang smiled awkwardly.

"Oh please. No sir's around here." The man chuckled. "My name is Tashiro. Most people just call me Mr. Inventor. You can call me what you like."

"Inventor?" Sokka asked at once rushing forward. "You're an inventor?!"

Teo beamed. "My dad is the best!" he beamed. "He designed and build our gliders! And specially build mine for my chair!" he laughed padding his wheelchair. "He makes all kinds of incredible things! He's incredible."

"Teo." Tashiro blushed as he glanced away.

"So… You all live here?" Aang asked.

"Sure thing." Teo beamed. "I don't remember anywhere else. Dad brought me here when I was a baby."

Tashiro nodded. "When Teo was just a baby… A terrible flod hit our home. Our house was destroyed and my dear wife she… She didn't make it while Teo's lower back was crushed. He was just a baby." Tashiro sadly closed his eyes. "The area was occupied by the fire nation, we had nowhere to go. I took my son. Desperately looking for a safe place for him to grow up and then… I stumbled upon this." he turned towards the temple.

"A whole temple! Strong walls that were safe and yet no one lived here. And then I knew… This is the place!" he beamed as he turned back to Aang. "This is where I can build a new home! A place where my son can be safe and happy as he grows. And I would do everything in my power to see that happen!" he beamed. "Soon others joined. Other people who had lost their homes. Some were families and some were just orphans." he grinned as several children ran towards him and Tashiro laughed as he put his arms around them. "And together! We build a new home! Here in safety from the fire nation!"

Aang turned towards the temple too. And then…. His face faltered. "There used to be statues of the holy monks there. What happened?"

"I had to make room for the landing pads!" Tashiro informed.

"What?" Aang asked horrified.

"There were many improvements we needed to make to this place to make it optimal for living in." Tashiro continued while looking genuinely happy and proud. "And we're still not done. Just you wait till we are finished. The place is going to be unrecognizable!"

At that Aang's eyes widened. His face turned white. And he looked beyond horrified.

"Come on let me show you around." Tashiro invited. "Do you want to join us Teo?" he asked.

"Yes!" Teo beamed and Tashiro chuckled.

"Isn't my son wonderful?" Tashiro asked. "He hasn't let anything in life hold him back!"

"That's easy when I have a dad who's always there for me." Teo beamed. "Come on! Let us show you the whole place!" he waved at them to follow.

Aang just stood. As if frozen to the ground and Zuko swallowed as he approached the boy.

"Aang?" Zuko tried.

"Change it?" Aang asked. "They can't just move here and change everything! This isn't their temple! Don't they know many things in here are holy?"

"I…. I'm not sure how they were supposed to know that when there literately was no one left to tell them that." Zuko commented and Aang gasped up at Zuko. "But… Now you're here you can tell them," he said. "I mean… Ahem."

Then slowly Aang nodded. "Yeah… I just have to tell them. They can't keep doing this. There are places they can't touch." he said as he walked forward.

Zuko was just standing there left behind… Can't touch? He was pretty sure they could change anything they wanted. The question just was if they should. Clearly, this meant a lot to Aang but then again. They had clearly made a real home here.

Why did everything always have to be so complicated? Seriously.

Notes:

The inventor, funnily enough, has no official name in the Avatar universe!

"Tashiro." Was the name I gave him in my OTHER fanfic. "Scars." and I kind of like it. I think it suites him. So I am re-using it.

Chapter Text

As they progressed through the temple and Tashiro and Teo proudly showed their works. Aang looked more and more down beaten.

Sokka on the other hand was over the moon! He was one wide excited grin asking millions of questions that Zuko really didn't understand at all and Tashiro chuckled as he happily replied. Happy to tell you all about it.

"HOW COULD YOU DO THAT?!" Aang suddenly shouted making them all stop and Aang looked up at a wall now covered in pipes. "That's the history of the air nomads and how they first made the temple and you ruined it!" he exclaimed.

Tashiro was stunned quiet. "That's how we get warm water to the rooms upstairs," he informed.

"What's wrong with the springs? Aren't regular springs good enough for people anymore?" Aang asked.

"Well… The springs are nice. But very cold at this altitude." Tashiro hesitated. "And the warm water is not just for bathing and cooking. The steam is what powers the elevators and several other things."

"That is so cool!" Sokka gaped.

"Yes!" Tashiro smiled. "Beforehand many places here were simply inaccessible for those unable to fly. But now we can go anywhere."

"IT WAS BUILT BY AIR NOMADS FOR AIR NOMADS!" Aang shouted. "Take it down! All of it! You are disgracing a holy temple!"

"But…" Tashiro tried only for Aang to huff and he ran off.

"AANG!" Katara shouted.

"Let me go after him," Teo asked. "I think I know what he needs to see," he said they were all quiet and then they nodded allowing Teo to roll after the young air bender.

Tashiro sighed deeply. "Oh dear… I hope I haven't hurt him. I never meant."

"Dude. This is progress." Sokka said. "Aang needs to remember that he's a hundred years late to the party here. I'm sure he'll come around."

"Traditions are important Sokka," Zuko said quietly. "And history is too. Without it we have no identity and… Aang is all alone now. So of course he'll hold unto his identity with all he has."

Sokka blinked as he looked at Zuko.

"You wouldn't want the southern water tribe to suddenly change would you?" Zuko asked. "Being southern water tribe is a big part of your identity."

Sokka nodded. "That's… A good point," he admitted. "But I also want us to progress. Some of these machines. They could make life so much better for my people! Why wouldn't I want that?"

Tashiro smiled amused. "If there's anything here you think could help your people. Feel free to ask for blueprints."

Sokka gaped. "Are you sure?" he asked.

"Yes." Tashiro nodded. "This was always the point. I want to help make the world better!" he said with a smile. "So everyone can live their best life! I know it's not everything I can fix. No matter how hard I try. I can never make Teo walk." he sighed. But then he looked up and he smiled. "So I made him fly instead! Just look at him in the sky! Free as a bird!" he beamed as he spread out his arms as if they were wings.

Katara smiled. "That's beautiful."

"With his chair and the elevators I made. Teo can go anywhere in the temple! Just like everybody else!" Tashiro beamed. "He can live a normal life! A happy life! That's what it was all for!"

Zuko stood there. Absolutely stunned. "You…" he hesitated. "You are an incredible father."

Then suddenly, somehow, it seemed all the happiness and energy just left Tashiro as he stood. He seemed sad somehow. Even when he was smiling. "That's very kind of you to say," he said then shook his head. "Really I'm just doing what any decent father would… My only regret is that."

Zuko blinked. "What?" he asked.

"Nothing." Tashiro shook his head. "I'll do anything for my son to live a full life. And all the other kids who came as well. They are my light. And I have to protect them. No matter what."

That felt… Somewhat ominous. Zuko wasn't entirely sure what it was. The word or the tone.

And then as suddenly as it had come it was gone as Tashiro's more genuine warm smile returned. "Sokka you are going to love this!" he beamed as he gestured towards the next room. "My workshop is right here! I got so much to show you."

Zuko swallowed. "You know. I want to go check on Aang," he said.

"I'll go with you." Katara offered and Mai took a step as well to follow him.

"Actually." Zuko held up a hand. "I don't think we should be overwhelming Aang right now. I'll go by myself. You guys have fun."

Mai frowned a little annoyed.

"Make sure Sokka doesn't hurt himself alright?" Zuko asked and Katara nodded a little amused. Then finally Zuko turned and left to see if he could find Aang and Teo.

 


 

Zuko found Aang and Teo outside in a big garden like area where there were plants covering all the walls and strange flowers Zuko didn't know the name of covering the grounds.

Aang was down on his knees looking down at something and Teo smiled. Zuko hesitated as he approached them.

"What do you got there?"

Aang turned his head showcasing a smile. "It's a hermit crab." he showed a little animal, an insect like thing sticking out from a shell. "They are native to this temple… They don't exist anywhere else. That was also the same a hundred years ago."

"Wow." Zuko breathed as he squatted down too. "That's quite something." he looked at the creature that seemed to look back at him. "That shell doesn't seem to fit," he commented. 

"He's about ready to switch it out," Aang informed. "Hermit crabs don't grow their own shells. They find empty shells on the ground and take them over. As they grow they find new shells to use." 

"That's amazing." Zuko smiled lightly. "I didn't even know such an animal existed." 

Aang smiled as he held the little precious animal in his hands.

"I wanted to show them to Aang," Teo said. "Not everything has changed."

Aang swallowed, now looking sad. Even as he was holding the small animal.

"Aang." Zuko swallowed a little nervously. "Look… This has to be really hard. But I think what Tashiro is doing here is overall a good thing." he said. "He has made a sanctuary for all of these refugees. Who had nowhere to go. The fire nation took everything from them but still… They were able to make a home. Surely you can't ask them to leave now."

Aang sighed deeply. "No," he admitted. "You're right. But still… There are things here they need to respect! These are pieces of history! My people's history! And once it's gone it…" his eyes watered. "It'll never come back."

"That's fair," Teo said sympathetically. "Look. You and my dad just need to talk," he said. "Then you can tell him what he has to leave alone. And I'm sure he'll respect it. My dad is a really good guy! He doesn't mean to destroy this history. He just didn't know. And he wanted to make a home for me it… He did it for me Aang." he whispered.

Aang nodded. Then wiped his tears away with his arm. "Yeah… You're right."

Teo smiled lightly. "There's somewhere I want to show you," he said. "There's just one area here that is completely untouched by anyone. Come on. I'll show you." he waved his hand and Aang nodded as he stood up and followed. Zuko slowly followed after them.

Together they went down long hallways going down until they were what seemed to be essentially the basement of the temple, carved into the mountain. They kept walking and finally, they stood in front of a pair of massive doors with a strange contraption in front of them and Aang gasped.

Zuko tilted his head. "What is it?" he asked.

"It's like at the fire nation temple," Aang informed as he turned to Zuko. "At that temple, you either needed a fully realized avatar or five fire benders to open the door. Here though." he pointed. "It needs air bending! Only an air bender can do it."

Zuko's eyes widened as he looked up. "So that means."

Teo smirked. "Only an Airbender. And the only air bender is Aang. So the room behind it is untouched. What do you say Aang?" he asked. "I always kind of wanted to know what was behind that door."

Aang swallowed as he stepped forward. Then put his hand on the door and he looked down. He swallowed.

"Aang." Zuko breathed.

"I want to… Let this room stay untouched." Aang said as he stepped backward. "One room. That's staying the same." he swallowed.

"Are you sure?" Teo asked.

Aang nodded.

"Aang. I am so sorry." Zuko whispered.

Aang turned to Zuko. "What are you sorry about?" he asked.

"If." Zuko halted as he glanced at Teo. Then swallowed as he returned to Aang deciding to just face it head on. "If it wasn't for my great grandfather. There would still be air nomads living here. It's my great grandfather who did this. I… Don't know what to say.. I just."

Aang looked up at Zuko. "You're not your great Grandfather. I wouldn't blame you for what he did."

"But I…" Zuko swallowed. "I just."

"So you really are him. Prince Zuko." Teo whispered and Zuko turned to him.

"I…" Zuko swallowed.

"I don't suppose you remember me. It was two or three years ago you came. I remember your scar." Teo admitted. "My dad told me to stay in my room. But I hid behind the walls while you searched the temple… You never hurt anyone though. I noticed that too."

"You've been here before?" Aang wide-eyed looked at Zuko.

"I was looking for the Avatar. I searched all four temples." Zuko whispered. "So yeah. I knew they weren't real air benders. I'm sorry. I didn't know how to tell you."

"It's okay," Aang assured. "I'm glad we came here."

"And Teo." Zuko looked at the boy. "I'm sorry for what I…" he tried.

"You came. You didn't hurt anybody and you left." Teo commented. "You were a really weird fire nation soldier. Even back then. I kept wondering about that." then he tilted his head. "Looks like you found the avatar. So what now?" he asked.

"Well." Zuko shrugged. "Looks like I am teaching him fire bending. Just breathing for now though. He has to master water and earth before he'll be ready to produce any flames so… We are doing breathing exercises every morning."

Teo smiled.

"You seem… Surprisingly okay with me." Zuko commented.

"Well… You are a bit like me." Teo commented sheepishly. "I mean. No matter where I go. People notice me. They look at me even though I am fine on my own. I guess you can sympathize."

Zuko raised a hand to his scar. "Well… yeah," he admitted. "But I'm not… What I mean is." he tried not to look at Teo's legs.

"My dad made sure I can live a normal life," Teo said. "I owe him at least to live my best life. So that's what I will do." he smiled a big warm shining smile.

"Heh." Zuko blushed. "My Uncle really worked so hard so I could live normally too," he said. "Whenever I was about to throw in the towel. He told me to keep going and showed me what to do. He never got impatient with me."

Teo beamed. Then turned. "We should see more of the temple! Maybe there is more Aang recognizes!"

And Zuko nodded as Aang grinned as they continued their walk.

Chapter Text

Zuko sighed deeply as he was sitting leaning up against one of the castle walls, casually with an arm around Mai's shoulder as he casually observed Katara up in the air trying one of those glider things.

Of course, Aang was making loops all around the water tribe girl. Probably trying to show her some moves. Aang was always kind of a showoff. But especially when Katara was involved.

"Looks like they are having fun," Zuko commented.

"Uhu," Mai replied.

"Do you… Want to try too?" Zuko asked.

"No." Was the flat response.

"Oh." Zuko blinked. "Are you sure?"

"Look. I got on the flying sheep. I'm not going on one of those." Mai stated.

"We… We know Appa is a bison now." Zuko replied a little stunned.

"I am flying on the big cow. And that's bad enough." Mai stated.

Zuko blinked. "It's not that bad."

"Unlike you, I have some sense self preservation." Mai commented dryly.

"Oh." Zuko looked down.

Just then Sokka came and he was all smiles. "This place is amazing!" he beamed happily. "Have you ever seen stuff like this before?"

"Well… erhm. Sort of." Zuko commented quietly.

Sokka gaped. "Where?!" he asked.

"Erh. The fire nation vessels would have steam engines sort of like the ones around here." Zuko informed in a shy quiet voice.

"Man I would love to actually get inside one of those one day. And you know. Have a real look at it." Sokka sighed deeply.

"Well erhm. The thing just is our steam engines are usually pretty reliant on fire bending." Zuko said. "We use our fire bending to control the heat and thus the steam pressure. I have no idea how you would control those machines without fire bending so… And here they have machines but no fire benders." he looked around.

"I know right." Sokka beamed. "There isn't a single bender here. So what did they do? They used their heads! Like I keep saying! Bending isn't everything! And sometimes two heads are better than one! I HELPED OUT!" he beamed proudly.

Zuko lifted an eyebrow.

"See there are gas leaks around here," Sokka informed. "So by the way Zuko… Don't fire bend. You can't be sure where the gas is."

"Noted," Zuko replied a little wide eyed.

"But anyway since the gas had no smell. Tashiro couldn't figure out where the leaks are. So I got the idea. Why don't we just add smell!" Sokka beamed. "Rotten eggs! If you smell rotten eggs around here now it's the leak. So definitely don't fire bend then!"

Zuko nodded clearly shocked.

"Hey is that Katara?!" Sokka asked as he looked out in the air and he grinned. "SIS!" he waved his arms and he laughed. And he even got a little wave in response.

Zuko tilted his head a little as he looked at Sokka happily waving and then grinning as he turned back to him.

"You sure are good friends with your sister," Zuko commented.

"Of course I am. We're family. She has always been there for me." Sokka smiled warmly. "I owe her so much. Our mother always used to tell us that as long as we're together. Neither of us has to be alone. And she was right."

"Huh," Zuko commented looking a little puzzled.

And then Katara came in for the landing and Sokka ran over to greet her. While congratulating Katara on her flight.

Aang was smiling as well as he elegantly landed with Teo and they all laughed for a bit. Then suddenly Aang looked more serious.

"Everything alright Aang?" Teo asked.

"You know that room you showed me." Aang hesitated then looked up. "Let's open it. Let's see what's in there."

"A secret room?!" Sokka beamed. "Let's go! Everyone."

Zuko shook his head as he let go of Mai and stood up. Then offered her a hand and Mai smiled as she allowed him to pull her up.

"Secret room huh?" Mai asked.

Zuko shrugged. "It might be kind of cool. Who knows," he said and Mai smirked.

 


 

Together the whole group headed back towards the big door. There was excitement in the air.

Zuko honestly hadn't felt like a kid since the day his mother went away. So it was actually kind of fun feeling the mystery and excitement of the door. Actually feeling a little like he did back then when his uncle would send him gifts and Zuko would be dying to know what was inside.

And so Zuko smiled as he held Mai's hand pulling her with him. Even Mai was smiled amused as they all finally reached the door.

"Well," Mai commented amusedly. "That sure is a door."

"I always wanted to know what was behind it!" Teo laughed. "No one knows this temple better than me. And this is the only place I haven't explored!"

"Usually doors like this means there's avatar stuff behind it." Aang admitted in a chuckle. "So don't get too disappointed if it's just a bunch of statues."

"Hey, we might actually learn something!" Sokka exclaimed. "When we entered the sanctuary in the southern air temple you got your first vision! And in the fire nation temple, you got to meet Roku. So maybe something good is going to happen here too!"

Aang gaped. "You're right Sokka! It could be something good! A new skill or something!"

"Well, what are you waiting for Aang," Katara smirked. "Let's open it."

Aang beamed. "Okay then. Step back everyone." and everyone did as Aang stepped forward and started to air bend.

Zuko watched as the air bending went into the mechanisms and then suddenly all the ancient old cogs and coils started to turn, it was fascinating to watch all the locks come undone, and finally the door opened to give everyone a peek inside.

And everyone halted.

The first thing that drew Zuko's eye was a banner… A massive red banner with the fire nation symbol in front and then.

Weapons… Machines… Engines. Engraved with the fire nation insignia.

Zuko's heart dropped. Then he swallowed. "The only place I have ever seen machines like these," he whispered.

"The fire nation," Sokka replied.

"I… I don't understand." Teo whispered. "I don't know what this is."

Zuko was shaking as he stepped inside, then looked down. "A new kind of engine," he whispered putting his hand on the cold metal. "The new ships have new engines that are much more energy-efficient. At least that's what I have been told."

"No." Teo shook his head. "It can't be… I."

Just then running food steps sounded and all turned around to see one inventor coming running towards them, his eyes wide in horror and his face pale. "TEO!" he shouted and then stopped as now a whole group of children was looking at him with dark eyes.

"You shouldn't be in here!" Tashiro gasped. "Come on. Step out."

"What's this?" Aang asked in an angry voice as he pointed at all the inventions.

"Look. I can explain." Tashiro tried.

"YOU'RE BUILDING WEAPONS FOR THE FIRE NATION!" Aang shouted.

"It's not.." Tashiro stammered. "I mean."

"I thought you were being surprisingly cooperative when I came some years ago," Zuko commented as he crossed his arms. "So you were working with the fire nation even then."

"I don't want any trouble. I just." Tashiro shivered.

"Do you know what those weapons are being used for?" Katara asked. "Do you know how many people are dead because of.." she seethed.

Tashiro's eyes widened as he looked at her and then Teo. In a small voice.

"Dad." Teo whispered as he looked up. Tears in his eyes. "How could you?"

"Teo… I…" Tashiro reached a hand for him only for Teo to roll backward and out of reach.

And Tashiro froze. Then, he fell down on his knees as he hopelessly looked at Teo.

And there was a stunned silence as they all looked at the inventor sitting on his knees, looking utterly hopeless.

"Just tell us." Aang whispered. "Why…. Why would you do it."

Tashiro closed his eyes. "For the safety of our home," he whispered.

"Explain," Aang demanded in a harsh tone. 

Tashiro pulled in a rattling breath then exhaled. "It was… not long after I found this place. I had only just settled in with a few others. We thought we had found a sanctuary from the fire nation… We were wrong." he swallowed. "They came. Led by a War minister who called himself Quin. We told them we were all civilians. We didn't even have any benders… We just wanted to be left alone. The fire nation wasn't satisfied with that. They were going to kill everyone and destroy this place…Even if we managed to flee we had nowhere to go. I had to protect Teo and then in my desperation, I came up with an idea… An offer." he lowered his head. "Leave us alone… Let us live in peace. And I can make you new weapons… It's all I have to offer. The only thing."

There was stunned silence as they all looked at him. Tashiro was still hopelessly on his knees, his head bowed. And a tear of despair, slowly rolling down his face and landing on the floor.

"All this time?" Teo asked. "I was just a baby when you first got here. That's what you told me."

Tashiro nodded. "You had barely even spoken your first word yet." he swallowed. "It was bird… Your first word. You loved seeing birds flying over you and would always point at them. Bird."

Clearly, Teo was torn as he looked up. Tears formed in his eyes too.

Then slowly… Slowly Tashiro stood up. "I'm sorry," he whispered. "This is not what I wanted… I'm sorry you had to find this out about me. Teo." he swallowed as he backed away. "I'm sorry I'm not such a great father after all." and finally he turned around and walked away in shame.

Leaving everyone else behind in stunned silence.

"Dad," Teo whispered.

"Teo I…" Aang tried.

"He did it for me!" Teo exclaimed as he looked up with tears running down his face. "My dad is not bad! He's good! It's because of me! If it wasn't because." frustrated Teo hit his own legs.

"Teo no." Katara sat down in front of him. "It's not your fault! Your father obviously thinks you are wonderfully perfect just the way you are. Of course, he does. He's your father. He just… He did what any parent in his situation would." she swallowed. "My mother would have done the same."

Sokka looked down. "And our father. He's risking his life out there trying to make our future safer."

Zuko squinted his eyes and Mai touched his arm. Then Zuko turned around and marched away, Mai closely following after him until she caught up to Zuko while he stood in a corner. Shaking.

"Zuko," Mai whispered.

"This… Is because of my father." Zuko hissed. "All of this. It comes from my father." he shook.

"You're not your father Zuko," Mai informed.

"No… But as much as I hate it. I'm his son. And he is my father." Zuko commented darkly. "Heh to think I have to observe strangers to see what a good father or a good sibling is like."

Slowly Mai wrapped her arms around Zuko from behind, then leaned her head on his back.

"I hate him," Zuko whispered while his body temperature was rising. "I hate him."

Mai's arms tightened around Zuko. "I hate him too," she admitted. "But hate is not like you Zuko."

"Just… let me be angry okay!" Zuko exclaimed as he stepped out of Mai's arms. "I just… URGH!" he slammed a hand into the wall.

Mai looked at him.

"Sorry… I just need to find something to kick." Zuko growled as he stepped away.

Mai sighed deeply. It had been a while since she had seen Zuko like this. Hopefully, he would calm down soon enough. This was though… Pretty messed up.

Chapter Text

"ARGH!" Zuko yelled as he jumped and kicked the rocks around him. Desperately he wanted to let out some fire too. Only years of training in self control kept him back.

But he could smash rocks. And he did. He kicked, and he hit, concentrating energy into his fists and released it upon impact making the boulders break, and then Zuko fell down on his knees.

Gasping for breath. Covered in sweat, and blood slowly dripping from his knuckles.

"Zuko.."

Zuko looked up to see a young avatar halfway hidden behind a rock and Zuko swept his soaked hair away from his face.

"Before you ask. I'm fine." Zuko snapped.

"The only other time I have seen you this angry was when I wasn't taking fire bending seriously enough," Aang commented. "Even then you weren't…" he looked at all the rubble around them.

"I get angry easily," Zuko admitted as he stood up. "Or at least I did… I thought I was mostly over it. It's just." his hands tightened into fists. "This is not right!" and he slammed a fist into the wall, creating a small crater fitting his fist.

And then Zuko was steaming. Clearly, he was barely keeping back his own fire bending.

Then Zuko inhaled deeply, trying to get himself back into control… sarcastically he remembered how Jeong Jeong had praised him for having perfect discipline… Yeah right.

"I'm going to go talk to Tashiro," Aang said. "He can't keep doing this. I wanted to ask you if you wanted to come," he said. "You can explain to him better than I can how great an effect this actually has. You know how they are going to use those machines."

Zuko nodded slowly. "Okay." he breathed. "That's a good point." and then Zuko inhaled again and felt the tension leaving him. "I'm…. Sorry you had to see me like this." he swallowed. "When I get angry I… I can barely even control it. That's kind of bad. Anger is a lot like fire… It can consume and burn. Grow when left unchecked…. I'm trying to do better."

"Well, you are a fire bender." Aang commented. "And… When you realized you were angry you got yourself out of the way," he observed as he looked down. "You kept your outburst back until you knew it was safe you… Really do have amazing control."

"Not really." Zuko sighed deeply. "You should meet my uncle." and he exhaled again. "Let's go talk to Tashiro." and Aang nodded.

 


 

Partway towards Tashiro's workshop, they ran into Teo who was quick to follow them so now it was the entire trio walking together until they were at the door.

Then Aang slowly nodded. "Sir," he asked. "Mr. Tashiro… Are you in there? Sir."

There was no answer. Then slowly Aang opened the door to see the large cluttered workshop. And Tashiro himself, standing in the corner with his back to them, leaning over a table, keeping his own body weight up with his hands. He looked like he was going to slump together any second.

"Dad," Teo whispered and Tashiro tensed, then lowered his head again.

"Sir," Aang whispered. "You have to stop this. You can't give the fire nation any more weapons."

Tashiro didn't reply.

"The advances the fire nation has been able to make in most recent years," Zuko whispered. "It's because of the new technology. If they keep advancing so fast… They'll win."

"You have to stop!" Aang exclaimed.

"I can't!" Tashiro shouted and there was silence.

"Why not?" Aang asked.

Slowly Tashiro turned around to finally look at them. His eyes were hopeless. "They'll destroy everything," he whispered. "This entire temple. Our home. As long as I give them weapons they'll leave us alone. That was the deal. If I refuse they… They." he swallowed. His body shaking. "They'll kill us all…. Even the children. I promised them all they could be safe here. I promised… I can't. I'm sorry." he gasped.

Just then a bell rang on the wall and Tashiro's eyes widened. "You have to get out of here. Now!"

"No. We are not leaving until we figured this out!" Aang stated and Zuko nodded.

"Please we can talk later! Just get out!" Tashiro hissed. "Teo!"

"We're not leaving!" Zuko stated.

"THEN HIDE!" Tashiro shouted as he suddenly pushed Zuko behind one of the curtains and another sound came from the other room.

Aang seemed to realize what was going on too now and grabbed Teo pushing him behind one of the large crates ducking down himself just as the floor started to move.

It opened up and suddenly an entire figure rose up proving there was a hidden elevator there.

Zuko's eyes widened as he recognized the war minister's robes and the neat hairstyle in a traditional fire nation topknot. How could he ever forget? He would be one of the people always present at Ozai's war council the one who…. Was the head of military development.

Zuko swallowed. This had started while Teo was still a baby. Teo looked to be in his teens, so over ten years at least.

War Minister Quin had a cold look in his eyes Zuko was only all too familiar with as he was looking down at the poor shaking inventor. "Time is up," he informed. "Where are the new weapons you promised."

"They…. They." Tashiro stammered as he stepped backward. "I am so close to a new breakthrough! I just need a little more time," he said. "You'll get your weapons then!"

"Six months!" Quin exclaimed as he slammed his fist into the table. "That was the deal! If you fail to deliver you must pay!"

"Please!" Tashiro fell on his knees. "I always delivered before! You'll have it just."

"Do I need to remind you what happens if you fail?" Quin said. "But perhaps we can figure something out. Your son is a strong boy now isn't here? If I were to keep him as insurance."

"No." Tashiro gasped.

"You'll have him back," Quin informed. "When I get a weapon that satisfies me. I think that's very generous. Otherwise, I'm afraid we'll just have to destroy this place. Just like I promised I would if you fail to deliver."

"PLEASE!" Tashiro begged. "You'll have it! Just wait!"

"NO!" Suddenly Aang shouted as he jumped out hitting Quin with a burst of wind making the War Minister fall back. "No more! You will not destroy this temple! You will not touch Teo and you will not have a single more weapon!"

Quin seethed as he looked at Aang. "Avatar." he huffed. Then he jumped up, make a series of movements and send a fireball right at Aang only for Zuko to jump in the way and slashed the fire.

"Yeah no." Zuko huffed.

"You?!" War Minister Quin exclaimed wide-eyed.

"You know each other?" Aang asked.

"Well remember how I told you that when my father burned my face it was put on a stage? All the war ministers were invited to watch!" Zuko seethed. "Oh I remember my father's war council. How could I ever forget," he stated and Quin's eyes burned?

Then Zuko jumped forward grabbed Quin's arm and pushed him down. "So now that you will be crawling back to my father." he hissed. "You can give him a message from me. I will not let him hurt any more children… I'll end him before he does."

Quin's eyes narrowed. "You are nothing but empty words. Just like back then. Don't think I don't know."

And Zuko roared as he stood up and threw Quin into the wall.

"GET OUT OF HERE!" Aang demanded. "Crawl back to your fire lord."

Quin seethed. "Fine. You asked for it. I'll be back. And this temple will crumble. And it will be because of you!"

At that Zuko grabbed the front of Quin's clothes. Pulled him up and glared. "No," he said. "We'll fight."

"Oh…. Like last time?" Quin asked casually.

Zuko smirked grimly. "Three years is a long time," he said. "A lot can happen." and then he let go. "Get out." he nodded his head.

Quin snorted. "Coward just like then," he said as he stepped towards the elevator and glared at them as it started to move again. "And you'll get burned. Just like then…. Congratulations. You all have it your way. Tomorrow and this entire place will be gone." and he was gone.

"WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!" Tashiro shouted terrified. "Do you have any idea what they'll do now! We can't fight them! We got nothing!"

"WRONG!" Aang exclaimed as he stepped forward. "The fire nation attacks from the ground. But you now inhabit the skies!" he said. "You can fight back and you will not be alone! We'll help you!"

Zuko nodded. "Yes. We'll fight with you."

Tashiro didn't seem eased at all by that. He was shaking and then he squinted his eyes. "You haven't given me any choice." he swallowed. "Okay… We'll fight." he shook. "We'll fight for our home."

"DAD!" Teo shouted as he rolled right into him and then embraced him tightly.

"Teo." Tashiro gasped.

"It'll be okay Dad." Teo sniffed as he hugged him tightly. "We'll beat them. Together."

And Tashiro swallowed as he hugged Teo back. "Okay." he shook all over his body. "Thank you… Teo."

Chapter Text

"All the fire nation can do is attacking from the ground!" Aang beamed as they were standing in front of all the townspeople and children living in the temple. "But you live here! You know this place! Every little corner of it and you have taken to the skies! The skies belong to you! You can use that!"

And all the children smiled as they listened to Aang.

"I figured out how to fix the air balloons look!" Sokka grinned as he showcased a little model air balloon Tashiro had made earlier. "The issue beforehand was that once the hot air got in, it would take time for it to get out again. So you could be stuck in the air for a really long time when you can't control the exit of hot air. But with my little lid here." he beamed as he pulled in a tiny string and the top of the balloon opened. "Tadaaa! We got full control now!"

"That's wonderful Sokka." Katara beamed. "That's my clever brother!"

And Sokka grinned as he bowed.

Then Zuko stepped forward with crossed arms. "I know you're scared," he said. "But that's what the fire nation is counting on! They figured out long ago that it's easier to scare people so they won't fight at all than it is fighting them! They are counting on you to be too scared to fight. Let's turn it around, let's make them scared." he grinned. "This is your home! And you have a right to live here! A right to defend it! NEVER GIVE UP WITHOUT A FIGHT!"

And everyone cheered happily as Zuko grinned.

Mai was looking stunned at Zuko. Normally when he spoke he would be sort of shy and awkward, but right now he held himself with so much strength and his voice seemed so strong as it carried over them all. He was smiling and his eyes were shining with a new kind of light.

And then Aang, Sokka, and Zuko started to talk about strategies and how they were going to fight back against the fire nation. All of them were eager and filled with energy. The three boys seemed surprisingly much in tune.

Aang knew all about how to use the winds and air to their own advantage. Sokka always had his mad plans and could think of how to use all of these inventions and Zuko… Zuko knew about the fire nation tactics and how to both defend against them but also how to use it to their own advantage.

"The fire nation usually attacks strongly and directly," Zuko informed. "This means they will give all they have in their first push, wanting to get over with it in a day. So if you beat them back once they have probably used all of their resources already."

Tashiro frowned. "If we push them back now. Won't War minister Quin be asking for re-reinforcements for another day?" he asked.

And Zuko grinned as he turned to the inventor. "You are in luck," he said. "War Minister Quin has been lying to the fire lord! I didn't know of this place either. Quin has always said that these inventions were designed by fire nation inventors and were a symbol of fire nation brilliance. If he were to ask for re-enforcement he would have to admit that he lied! Do you know what happens to people who lied to the fire lord?"

Tashiro blinked. "Nothing good I would imagine."

"You would be right." Zuko nodded. "So really you only have to beat Quin once and you will be good."

"Oh what a relief." Tashiro exhaled deeply.

 


 

As soon as the meeting was over everyone ran towards each their own project to make various things ready. Gliders, bombs, traps. All sorts of things.

Wide-eyed Mai looked around at all the things that were quickly being made and then suddenly Zuko came running towards her.

"MAI!" Zuko grinned happily making Mai turn towards him. Only for Zuko to grab Mai around the waist and swing her in the air making Mai scream.

"WUARGH!" Mai shouted in shock before Zuko put her down again. Grabbed her face and kissed her on the mouth. Then let go and he just stood there grinning like a complete idiot. Mai blinked shocked. "Zuko…. Are you feeling okay?"

"I feel GREAT!" Zuko beamed spreading out his arms. "We're actually doing something! We can help these people!"

Stunned Mai looked at him only for Zuko to spot something over her shoulder and he gasped.

"OH! Let me help you with that!" he shouted running past Mai and over to a kid who was fumbling with a knife. Only for Zuko to sit down on one knee and gently showed the kid how to hold it probably.

Wide-eyed did the kid look up at Zuko as he listened and then he smiled.

"Wow. Zuko is such a natural leader." Sokka commented as he stepped up next to Mai.

"What?" Mai asked looking at Sokka.

"I wouldn't have guessed. I mean usually, he's so awkward." Sokka commented. "But the way he behaved in there? It was like seeing a different Zuko wasn't it? He really helped inspire everyone to stand up for themselves. And the kids like him. They listen to him."

Mai was stunned quiet as she looked at Zuko again. Now more children had formed a circle around them and Zuko was eagerly showing them different ways to hold a knife while explaining different things about combat. Everyone was listening enthralled.

"It's also great he really listens to people." Sokka continued. "My dad always taught me that's super important when you lead." he shook his head. "Maybe it helps he's so damn sincere. I mean... I am never in doubt that he really means what he's saying. You know?" 

"Zuko doesn't want to lead anyone." Mai snapped.

Sokka shrugged. "Just saying. He has a knack for it and he seems to enjoy it," he commented. "He could be a great leader if he wanted to be. Why is that such a bad thing?"

"Get lost!" Mai demanded.

"Shesh." Sokka rolled his eyes. "Touchy much?" he asked but did what he was asked and walked away.

Mai seethed. So maybe Zuko was great leader material? So what, he was hers! He had promised. And Mai stomped away just as Zuko lifted his head and blinked.

"Mai?" he called, but she was already gone.

"Show me how to block again!" A kid asked.

"Okay." Zuko returned his attention to the kids. "Remember though. This is only to defend yourself if there's no other way. You shouldn't be in battle alright?" and they all nodded seriously. "Good! As long as we are in the clear about that." Zuko smiled and the kids grinned.

Chapter Text

Zuko inhaled a deep breath. Already the sun was rising signaling the beginning of a new day. And the fire nation was looming.

Zuko tried to re-call everything Iroh had taught him about commanding.

Iroh was the dragon of the west. He had been hailed as one of the most brilliant commanders in fire nation history. Zuko only remembered too well when he was a kid before Azulon had died, everybody would always be praising Iroh and his brilliant tactics. Apparently, Iroh's leadership had changed the direction of the war itself! At least... That's what people used to say. Then after Ozai had taken the throne that kind of talk had pretty much died out overnight. Anyone who dared say it would risk facing dire consequences.

Why would Ozai want people to stop saying those things though? ... Because it had been true. Iroh was one of the best leaders in fire nation history.

So…. What had Iroh been saying? What had he been trying to teach Zuko? 

"A well rested army is a strong army. A man needs his rest."

Remember to make sure that everyone gets some sleep! As tempting as it was to work all night that would be a mistake! Zuko walked around and made sure everyone got at least a few hours of sleep. Tashiro, in particular, was troublesome but working with Sokka, Zuko managed to wrestle the old inventor into bed where he fell asleep almost immediately. 

"Remember to feed your army too! Make sure that everyone eats and drinks water! Just imagine a soldier fainting just because he forgot to drink a glass of water!"

So Zuko made sure there was water at all the vantage points where their people would be waiting for the attacks.

"Make your orders clear so people understand. Even if you are in doubt yourself, it is important to look strong so people feel they can rely on you. Keep a level head and give clear simple orders that can be followed. They will look to you. If you look nervous, it will demoralize your army. You must look secure and moralize them."

Zuko made sure to walk with a straight back and smile at the kids giving them assuring words. When he got nervous he would hide that side of himself and tell everyone they not only could. But would win this.

"Patience… Dear Zuko. It is sadly an ability many fire nation military lacks. So use that to your advantage. No one will expect you to even be patient. So surprise them."

Right! That was part of their plan. Lay in wait and well... wait for Quin and his army to come to them. They would wait and have patience!

"Listen Zuko…. This is the most important thing I have to teach you about leading an army. It's something I first learned very late in my carrier. But I hope you'll be a much faster learner than I. The people you lead. They are people…. Human beings. They all have homes and families they wish to protect. Hopes and dreams. And they are relying on you to see them through this. As they follow you, they are putting their trust in you. Their very lives are in your hands. All of their hopes for the future, the things they love and wish to protect. It's all on you now. So keep them safe. Don't waste human lives needlessly when it can be avoided. Once that kind of light has been snuffed out it will be too late. It cannot be brought back. When there is no other way, there is no shame in running. Zuko. Running is better than having everyone be slaughtered."

"That's dishonorable!"

"No... Wasting human lives for nothing is dishonorable."

"But..."

"Fighting for nothing is not honorable. You have to fight for something. Know what you're fighting for Zuko! And find a way to do so with as little bloodshed as you can. Stand strong… And be careful."

Zuko swallowed. That sort of knowledge was… Scary. It made him nervous to think about.

But also this felt good. Exhilarating even. To actually take fate back into his own hand! Not just sitting back and letting the fire nation do whatever it wanted.

No… They could change things. And it felt so bloody good.

"Who needs a destiny?" Zuko asked in a smirk. "Let's make our own bloody future."

"I kind of like the sound of that."

Zuko turned around to face a young Avatar who was looking up at him with a small smile.

"Making our own future. I mean." Aang smiled sheepishly. "You know what I would really like in the future?" he asked. "Going on vacation in the fire nation again. Just…. Lay on the beach. Drink one of those coconut things. And just have a good time with no one fighting."

"That does sound kind of nice." Zuko had to admit. "I'm not so sure that's possible though."

"Well…. If we make our own future. Why not?" Aang asked.

"Hmm." Zuko hummed thoughtfully.

"What would you want to do?" Aang asked. "In this future you're making?"

"I don't know," Zuko admitted. "But a future where we aren't at war sounds pretty nice. A future where Mai and I won't have to always be on the run…. Yeah." he smirked as he looked towards the rising sun. "And go to the beach. That sounds great too."

"Let's do it then!" Aang beamed.

Zuko sighed. "You make it sound like it's easy."

"It's not easy," Aang admitted in a meek honest voice. Before looking up with renewed energy. "But if we don't fight for it it won't happen. Isn't that true?"

Zuko smirked. "Yeah. I guess that's true."

And Aang laughed as he lifted a hand offering Zuko a pinky. "So let's do it! One day we'll go on vacation in the fire nation. And we'll have a beach day! Just you know. We have to make a world where that's possible first."

And Zuko chuckled as he locked his own pinky with Aang's. "Fine." he agreed as they shook and let go.

"It's a promise then." Aang beamed and Zuko smirked.

Chapter Text

"They are here!" a little girl gasped as she pointed down and true enough. A long line of fire nation soldiers was making their way up through the little narrow path that was the only way up to the air temple when not able to fly.

"Then we gotta go!" Aang stepped forward.

"Wait. Where's Sokka? He was supposed to bring the war balloon." Katara gasped.

Wide-eyed Mai looked around and true enough. No Sokka, and no hidden trump card.

"Doesn't matter!" Zuko shouted. "We fight!"

Mai bit her lip. Clearly wanting to object and Aang nodded.

"LET'S GO!" he shouted.

And then, Aang took to the skies themselves followed closely by thirty other gliders. Katara rode Appa loaded up with smoke bombs and slime bombs she could hand over to the gliders and they attacked.

The fire nation soldiers were defenseless against the slime and smoke. They were on such a tiny little path and thus couldn't even make the arm movements required for fire bending.

Aang jumped up and slammed the winds down creating an avalanche of snow. Making several soldiers fall while Katara handed over smoke bomb after smoke bomb. When it wasn't a slime bomb.

Soon the line of walking soldiers was retrieving, simply it was impossible for them to get up at all.

Was this it? Could that really be it?

Of course not. Suddenly chains shut up in the air with harpoons in the end. And then embedded themselves into the stones and then…. What looked like armored vehicles were pulled up by the chains.

Against these. The smoke and slime bombs were ineffective, they did nothing against the vehicles that pulled themselves up on the snowy ledge and then drew forward.

Then they started to shoot their fire at the air temple itself and Zuko came running as he shouted, putting out the fire before it even hit just like he had done back at Jeong Jeong's camp when they had aimed at Appa.

Aang jumped down and released a massive blow of wind creating an avalanche of snow that toppled several vehicles over… Only for them to turn right around and continue their track.

Katara gasped as she watched it happening from Appa. "How?" she asked.

"Something about water weights and balance," Teo informed beside her. "Pretty cool right?"

"WATER!" Katara gasped. "Can you get me close to them?!"

"Sure thing!" Teo grinned and threw the stink bombs creating a path that allowed Katara to jump down and she felt the water. She could tip over some of the vehicles and freeze the water inside preventing them from coming back up. But it wasn't enough.

"KATARA!" Zuko suddenly shouted. "I got an idea! I'll melt the water beneath the tanks and you freeze it afterward! Then they'll be stuck!"

Katara's eyes widened. "That's genius! HURRY!"

And Zuko skidded forward then let out a big warm pillar of fire going beneath the vehicles, melting the waters.

The moment Zuko retrieved Katara spread out her arms and froze the water again rising it up and the vehicle true enough. Was stuck.

"It's working!" Katara beamed just as Zuko did his trick again and Katara followed and soon, four vehicles were out of commission… Too bad there were twenty others surrounding them.

And then they shot.

"KATARA!" Zuko shouted as he grabbed her and threw them both down in the snow as the fire passed over them. "We need to get out of here. Now!" he gasped and Katara nodded as they both got up and ran.

Zuko once again covered them as they ran towards the temple and then two gliders came from above.

"GRAB ON!" Aang shouted and Katara jumped up to grab Aang's feet while Zuko grabbed Teo's chair and used his own feet to kick back an attacking fireball. Which hit a vehicle right in the center and threw it down the cliff.

Just then… finally. A big red air balloon flew over them and Katara gasped. "SOKKA!"

True enough. Sokka and Tashiro were flying the balloon and… no one seemed to be firing on them.

Zuko smirked. "They think they are fire nation," he commented. "Hey, Aang can you keep the attention on yourself? Then Teo, get me to the balloon!"

"GOT IT!" Both Aang and Teo shouted and then flew each their direction. Aang making a big spectacle of himself and Teo flying above the balloon allowing Zuko to swing himself towards it, let go and make a leap towards the basket. Grabbed the edge and pulled himself up.

"About time," Zuko commented as he was finally safely in the war balloon.

Sokka was just looking at him. "Dude, are you some sort of monkey or something? You're worse than Aang! How did you even do that?!"

"Focus Sokka!" Zuko exclaimed. "Are we ready to go?"

"Indeed we are," Tashiro informed already at one of the ropes keeping up the bags carried by the air balloon. "HERE WE GO!" he shouted cutting it over and then, the first massive slime bomb fell and drowned multiple tanks that fell back.

The second and the third as well and then…

"We are all out." Sokka gasped.

"It's not enough!" Zuko shouted. "They are still coming!"

Then suddenly Tashiro stood still, he sniffed in the air and he gasped. "Rotten eggs… Do you smell that?"

Sokka's eyes widened and he ran to the edge of the war balloon looking down to what seemed like a huge crater into the mountain itself. "That's where the gas is escaping from!" he shouted. He halted, he swallowed. "ZUKO! Can you throw a spark down there?"

"What?" Zuko asked.

"A spark is all we need," Sokka commented and Zuko's eyes widened.

Then Zuko inhaled a deep breath. "You guys. You need to stand behind me. Okay?" he asked. "Make sure you are behind me! And don't move!"

Sokka and Tashiro both nodded and quickly did what they were told. Zuko inhaled a deep breath and then, send a big fireball right down into the crater.

A second felt like an eternity and then it came, a giant boom! A massive explosion and the fire came up right at the war balloon.

Zuko spread out his arms and for a second, it was like there was a shield in front of them, protecting them from all of the fire.

The sheer force still pushed the air balloon back, but they were alive…. That was until the Air Balloon started to sink.

"We're losing altitude!" Tashiro shouted.

Sokka was wide-eyed looking up. "CAUSE THERE'S A HOLE IN THE BALLOON! WHAT DO WE DO?!"

At that Zuko grabbed both of them. "We jump." he simply said

"What?!" The other two shouted horrified but they had no choice.

Zuko had already grabbed them and then he jumped holding the both of them who screamed in terror, only for them to land in a soft saddle of a big bison who roared happily while one Avatar was sitting on Appa's head grinning at them. "Cool stunt guys!"

"Don't ever do that again!" Sokka gasped. "I think I got a heart attack!"

Tashiro nodded looking pretty green in the face Aang though was looking down with a big wide smile on his face. "We did it! THEY ARE RETRIEVING LOOK!"

Zuko gasped as he looked down as well and saw that now with the massive avalanche they had created all tanks were washed down from the mountain and any remaining fire nation soldiers were fleeing.

Zuko smiled as he fell back into the saddle. "Man I would love to hear how War minister Quin intends to explain himself here." he chuckled. "Losing over fifty brand new tanks for what? He's gonna be stripped of his rank for sure. And that would be the best outcome for him."

Aang quieted as he turned to Zuko. "Best outcome?" he asked. "What's the worst?"

Zuko silenced. "I don't think you actually want the answer to that."

"Oh." Aang silenced.

Sokka sighed deeply. "Look. I know it sucks. But it was either him or a bunch of innocent people and even kids." he stated. "We won! So let's celebrate tonight. And don't think about it."

Aang swallowed. "Zuko… Are you sure you're alright with this?" he asked. "I mean… These are still your people," he said.

Zuko was quiet then sighed. "Listen… I don't like people who hurt innocent people for no reason. I don't like people who have no issue just throwing away human lives. I don't care where they are from… I just don't like that kind of people." he closed her eyes. "But I like to think the fire nation can be better than that. So… I hope. That when we meet the good people from the fire nation. We can give them the benefit of doubt. You know?"

Aang nodded as he smiled lightly. "Yeah. Okay."

"Good!" Sokka exclaimed. "Then we can eat tonight! I'm starving!"

Zuko shook his head. Well…. There was something nice about Sokka just being Sokka. Could be a lot worse he supposed.

None of them really thought about the air balloon that had naturally deflated and fallen down below the mountain where Quin could now find it.

With such a discovery…. There seemed to be a way that he wouldn't face any punishment after all.

Chapter Text

That night people were indeed cheery as the food was served in plentiful. Just like Sokka had hoped for.

Zuko was smiling shyly as he was holding a big mug of hot liquid. They called it cocoa. Not something he had ever encountered in the fire nation but apparently common in the colder parts of the earth kingdom. Like here.

Sokka was beaming as he slung an arm around Zuko while proudly talking about their battle. "I got the idea of lightening the gas leak! But it wouldn't have been possible without Zuko!" he grinned. "And wow the way he shielded us! Amazing fire bending!" he padded Zuko on the chest.

Zuko blushed deeply as he lowered his head. "I'm not a very good fire bender," he whispered under his breath. That though was drowned out by all the murmurs.

"And he's going to teach me one day!" Aang beamed pointing at Zuko. "Isn't it great? I don't think I could ever find a better fire bending teacher no matter how much I tried!"

Zuko swallowed as his head grew even redder.

Katara chuckled lightly. "It was really great fighting with you Zuko. I feel like I learned something just doing that."

"Oh… erhm. That's okay… I'm glad it went well." Zuko stammered and several people chuckled.

"Dude you are so badass on the field and just so… awkward socially." Sokka laughed. "You don't need to be! You're super cool!"

"Tha-Thanks." Zuko stammered and people chuckled again.

Eventually, Zuko managed to free himself from the group who for some reason had been so busy trying to pull him with them so they could keep talking about the fight and… Praising him for reasons Zuko didn't understand. While all of the people living here had been cheering for them.

Where was Mai? Desperately Zuko looked around trying to find the black haired girl… She seemed entirely gone and quietly Zuko walked around in search of Mai.

He had to leave the room they were all in and headed towards the bedroom they had borrowed… Also empty.

Zuko started to get worried. His chest tightened as he searched the temple and finally, sitting on a cot in a dark corner looking into the air.

"Mai." Zuko blinked… She didn't move. "Mai are you alright?" he asked. "We missed you at the party."

"Did you?" Mai asked in a casual tone. "You seemed to have plenty of people around you."

"Oh… erhm… yeah. A little overwhelming." Zuko admitted. "You okay?"

Again Mai didn't answer.

"Is something wrong?" Zuko asked.

"How stupid are you?" Mai asked.

Zuko blinked. "Sorry?"

"You were reckless! You could have gotten yourself killed!" Mai stated. "And you confronted War Minister Quin. You know what that means?"

"What difference does it make? Zhao will already have reported to my father that I have turned traitor." Zuko pointed out pretty annoyed.

"Zhao is just one man! One man with an agenda! It would be easy to convince people that he was lying for his own benefit! He has a history of doing that!" Mai seethed. "But now it's two of Ozai's favorites saying the same thing! You are painting a massive target on your back! Do you want to die?"

"Of course not!" Zuko exclaimed. "But what else am I supposed to do? Am I supposed to just sit there and let my father do whatever he wants!?"

"YES!" Mai exclaimed. "This is how you got burned in the first place remember? If you had just sat and kept quiet. Ozai would have no reason to challenge you to a bloody Agni Kai!"

"What he did was wrong! Was I just supposed to keep quiet about that?" Zuko asked.

And then Mai stood up to stand in front of him. "And what did speaking up change?" she asked. "That division was still deployed and they still died! You speaking up was pointless. Other than it nearly got you killed."

Zuko hissed. "For a long time I doubted myself," he said. "I didn't believe I had done the right thing. But finally, I know for sure. It was the right thing to do! And that's why I am not ashamed anymore! But if I had said nothing I would have been ashamed! That would have been cowardly and dishonorable! If I had not spoken up. I would have had no honor!"

"What good is honor if it gets you killed?" Mai asked.

"You would have me just turn my back to these people?" Zuko asked. "We won! So what's so bad about that? We saved these people!"

"The fire nation will return eventually." Mai hissed. "They want all of the world! We are just a bunch of kids against a nation! What do you intend to do?"

"I don't know!" Zuko exclaimed. "But at least I know what I'll do will be what is right."

"What good is getting yourself killed if it doesn't change anything anyway?!" Mai asked.

"How do you know we can't change things?" Zuko asked. "Aang is the Avatar and he's here! Now! At least I have to try! This is the only chance we have! And the only chance we are ever going to get! We have to try."

"The avatar is twelve Zuko!" Mai exclaimed. "This is impossible! It's never going to happen. And even if it did. Would you go through with..." she halted.

"I have to try," Zuko said in a firm voice.

Mai's eyes squinted as she hissed. "So going to the north pole then?" she finally asked and opened her eyes again. "To a tribe of enemies. Who sinks any fire nation vessel in sight!"

"Yes! I'm going to the north pole!" Zuko replied back. "How is that different from the earth kingdom anyway?" he asked. "We are enemies of the earth kingdom. We are enemies of the water tribes. And we are traitors to the fire nation! Does it really matter where we go anymore?" he asked.

Mai looked away. Her lips were just a thin line as her hands tightened.

Zuko sighed deeply. "I'm sorry," he whispered. "You deserve so much better than this." he moved forward and then gently kissed Mai on the cheek. "Thank you for sticking by me."

Mai swallowed and then leaned into him. "Well… You promised," she whispered.

Zuko nodded. "Yeah… So erhm. I probably need to go back to the others. They are probably looking for me. Do you want to come?"

"I…" Mai halted. "It's fine. I need a bit of time."

And Zuko stood back. "You sure?" he asked.

Mai nodded. "Yes," she said. Zuko offered Mai a last nod and then finally left, leaving Mai behind as she moved backward. Back into the shadow.

Chapter Text

They stayed for another day at the air temple. Just to rest up and for Aang to have another day to go over the temple with Tashiro.

Talking about what things should be preserved and how Tashiro could continue his projects while still respecting the air temple itself.

They had decided to re-create the history of the air nomads on another wall and then add the continuation of the story. Showing the tragic extinction of the people who had lived here. But also the new people who moved in. Making it a message about hope.

They would even have pictures showing them all defending the temple. Their new home… It really was their home now. The people who lived here would maintain and protect these walls.

Aang also showed them the gardens and started explaining what plants had been grown here and how they could best utilize the soils at this altitude. Cheering on a number of people who were all busy gardening before the day was even over.

Parts of the temple would be restored. Parts that had fallen apart and withered when there were no humans to maintain it. And Aang found clear happiness in that prospect.

Zuko for the most part elected to rest. He wanted to talk to Mai… But whenever he saw her he didn't really know what to say.

They slept side by side like they always would. But no words were spoken.

Zuko honestly wished he knew what to say.

As they left they were stocked up on gifts. Mostly food by Sokka's request. While they would be headed straight for the North Pole from here. There was no telling if they might get sidetracked or for how long they could be stuck flying over the ocean.

And Zuko had the fortitude to ask for big coats and boots for him and Mai.

Zuko could handle himself under cold temperature. At this point after spending so long at the south pole. He could pretty much control his own body temperature without even thinking about it.

But doing that now would give him away as a fire bender instantly. And Mai wasn't a fire bender at all.

Thankfully the people at the air temple were more than happy to comply and so both Zuko and Mai got each their set of heavy coats in green. Firm leather trousers. Massive boots with fur linings, multiple pairs of socks. Gloves. One long scarf for each. And even woolly hats.

Mai looked at the big green woolen hat with doubt in her eyes. "I'm going to look stupid with that," she said.

"Trust me. You'll rather want to look stupid than be cold." Sokka informed and Katara nodded.

 


 

As it turned out…. Sokka was one hundred percent correct. After they had flown for only half a day and shapes of ice appeared beneath them. All pretenses Mai might have had about looking good were thrown out of the window and she was wearing all of her new woolly clothes. Including scarf, hat, and gloves. And then she just sat there with arms wrapped around herself and a sullen look in her eyes.

And as the days kept going by… Mai wasn't very happy. Probably didn't help that she had never wanted to go to the north pole in the first place and had made that clear long ago. And now they were just sort of floating in the air just right above their water surface.

"Erhm." Zuko blushed deeply as he warmed a cup of tea in his hands and then offered it to Mai. "Here."

Mai took the cup as well as she could while still wearing the big gloves and then drank. Only to sneeze.

"Are you okay?" Zuko asked.

"Are you guys sure that anyone lives out here?" Mai asked. "Why would anyone live here! It's so cold."

"Actually it's not any worse than the south pole," Sokka informed. "That's where we lived for our entire lives you know."

"Well… You guys are insane." Mai stated. "And how come you're not cold?" she asked looking at Aang who was in his normal air nomad clothes. Which was light cloth.

"Air benders are used to high altitudes. We can take a lot." Aang informed apologetically.

Mai pouted as she pulled the big blanket around herself… The blanket that went over her coat, trousers, and boots.

Zuko blinked as he looked at her and then suddenly. A spike of ice just shot up from the ocean making them all scream.

Then multiple more spikes and Appa was trapped.

"What's happening?!" Zuko shouted raising his hands ready to defend himself only for Katara to gasp.

"The northern water tribe! We found them!" Katara shouted.

"Or rather. They found us!" Sokka gasped as they looked down and true enough. They were surrounded by small boats and on them were several men all wearing the blue furs signaling water tribe.

And of course. The fact that there was were several water benders there.

"HI THERE!" Aang beamed happily as he jumped up and then landed on Appa's tale just standing there making several tribesmen gape. "It's so great meeting you! I'm Aang. The avatar!" he beamed. "And this is Sokka and Katara from the South pole! And erhm… Lee and April from the earth kingdom. Heh. So we sort of came here because I'm the avatar and I need to learn water bending and so on. Can we come with you to your village?" he asked.

The water tribesmen all blinked as they looked at each other, and then back up at the grinning Aang.

"Well…" One tribesman commented. "I suppose we better take them to the chief." and they all nodded in agreement while Aang beamed happily.

Zuko sucked in a breath. Well…. There was no turning around now.

Chapter Text

Wide-eyed did Zuko look up as massive walls of glittering pure ice were towering above them. As they approached those walls the water benders around them raised their arms and started to slowly open the gates to reveal…

That wasn't a village. That was a big city. Created purely from ice. Buildings stretch up towards the sky, sparkling and glittering in the sun. Beautiful pieces of architecture stood by themselves alongside the big water channels and walkways where people were walking and chattering.

"This…" Zuko looked around. "Is not like the south pole."

"Yeah, no kidding." Katara breathed.

Zuko had seen the south pole villages from afar while sailing there. Snow walls that could barely even be called a wall. And the villages themselves being nothing but humble little shoddy looking snow huts and some times.

This was an actual city.

"It's beautiful," Katara commented.

"Yeah." Sokka sighed. "It is."

Zuko blinked as he looked at Sokka. The teen seemed to have his attention elsewhere and Zuko turned his head to see another little boat sailing by not far from them. It was controlled by a male water bender and in front was a young girl sitting.

The girl was pretty. Or at least Zuko assumed she was. She had soft features and like most water tribespeople, bright blue eyes. What really made her stand out though was her snow-white hair arranged in a foreign hairstyle and then softly fell down her neck and shoulders.

Sokka though kept his eyes on the girl until at last she was plainly out of sight and he exhaled in deep disappointment.

Soon they reached shore and were led to the biggest building standing in the middle of the city… It looked like a palace honestly. Zuko could only assume it really was a palace and they were headed towards the leader of the north pole.

Zuko wracked his brain trying to remember the correct title for the poles. He believed it was Chief.

For their walk, Mai had kept close to Zuko and held his arm with both hands as she looked around. Clearly not entirely comfortable with the situation… That or she was still looking for warmth as even with all of her woolen clothes she was still shivering. And Zuko sighed sadly as he freed his arm from Mai. Only so he could wrap it around her and draw her closer to his own body hoping he could share a bit of heat without being given away.

Finally, they entered the palace structure and entered a big massive room of ice where a middle-aged man slowly stepped out looking at them with a raised eyebrow.

"Chief Arnook." The water tribesmen all fell to their knees.

Arnook looked at them all and he frowned. "Strangers in our city," he commented. "That hasn't happened for decades."

"Sir." The water tribes man in front addressed him. "This young boy claims to be the Avatar," he informed and Arnook's eyes widened. "And these two young people are from our sister tribe in the south."

"It… It's an honor to meet you Chief Arnook." Katara curtsied nervously. "I am Katara. Water bender of the southern water tribe. And this is my brother Sokka."

Sokka nodded as well.

At that, the man's face softened into a smile. "From our sister tribe? It is an honor. It has been far too long since we have seen or even heard of our brothers and sisters in the south."

Katara and Sokka both smiled.

"And… The Avatar." Arnook turned to Aang still stunned.

"Yeah. That's me." Aang smiled sheepishly. "See." he waved his hand and made a small ball of air making people gasp and then he let it go.

Arnook looked at him and then he smiled again. "And today of all days! It must be a sign! For a new and better future and things to come!"

Zuko blinked confused.

"We are having a feast tonight. And now we just have another reason to celebrate." Arnook smiled warmly. "You must all join us tonight."

"That sounds great." Aang beamed.

And then finally Arnook's eyes turned to Zuko and Mai. "And you are?" he asked.

"Oh… Erhm." Zuko swallowed. "I'm Lee. And this is April. From the earth Kingdom. We are all sort of… Traveling together."

"They are our guides through the earth kingdom." Sokka smoothly explained as he stepped forward. "Neither I nor Katara had ever left the south pole before meeting Aang. So we needed help and Lee and April have helped us since and became our friends!"

Aang nodded. "We are all working together for the same thing. To defeat the fire lord so we can restore balance to the world."

"I see then. Allies." Arnook nodded. "You must be tired from your journey. My men will show you to a place where you can rest for your stay. I will assume you will all join us tonight for the big feast. Then everyone can be introduced."

"That would be an honor, sir." Aang smiled.

"Is there anything we can offer you while we all wait for the feast?" Arnook asked. "Of course we shouldn't eat too much. Tonight will be special."

"Warmer clothes." Mai promptly said.

And they all turned to Mai who was already well packed in with all of the wool. The woolen hat covered most of her face. Two scarfs as Zuko had long since handed his over.

Arnook blinked. "Well… I suspect our furs are better suited for our temperature than earth kingdom fashion," he admitted. "We will bring some to your rooms. Boys and girls will of course have separate chambers."

"Erhm actually." Zuko hesitated. "April and I would like to share a bed."

Arnook halted. He looked at them.

"I didn't realize you were married. Forgive me."

Zuko spluttered. "Wha-WHAT?!" he shouted. "No! We're not married!"

At that Arnook looked horrified. "And you… Share a bed?!" he asked. "I can't allow that."

"We don't do… You know. The thing." Zuko blushed deeply. "We just sleep next to each other. I swear to you."

"But you are not married." Arnook huffed. "I'm sorry but for as long as you are here you will follow our rules! And in the northern water tribe, only those who are married under Tui and La's blessings can share a bed! Even if it's just for a nap! It may be okay to do otherwise in the earth kingdom. But not here!"

Zuko closed his mouth and Mai glared.

"And what happens if we do it anyway?" Mai asked.

"Typically the male will be thrown into the water for a cool down and then he must serve with the hunting team for a month. Without pay." Arnook informed firmly. "The woman will be tasked with helping in the healer's hut for the same amount of time. Typically clean for them, help cook food, fix patients' garbs. Things like that. Also without pay."

Zuko and Mai glanced at each other.

"Well… That's not really as bad as I could have feared." Zuko commented.

Mai looked annoyed but finally nodded.

"It's just while we are here." Zuko smiled apologetically and Mai sighed deeply but nodded.

"Could I ask for an extra blanket for April in the night?" Zuko asked. "She freezes pretty easily. I suspect that's part of the reason why she…" he halted. "Sorry."

Arnook shook his head. "She will have twice the furs and blankets," he assured. "I promise you, young lady. You will not freeze doing the night."

"Thank you," Mai muttered not able to hide her disappointment.

"We are a land of traditions young lady. And we respect our old traditions that our people have lived by for hundreds of years." Arnook informed. "Those traditions have secured order and prosperity for people. So I hope you will all respect those traditions for your stay here."

"Of course sir." Zuko nodded. "Thank you for allowing us to stay here."

"I can't wait to learn all about it." Katara beamed. "I wonder how much is like the south pole and how much isn't."

"I'm sure it's all pretty similar. We are sister tribes after all." Sokka grinned and Katara beamed in clear agreement.

Zuko shook his head. It really wasn't so weird that people who weren't married weren't allowed to share a bed. Technically that wasn't really allowed in the fire nation either. People just turned a blind eye to it for most of the time.

Except for when a young woman accidentally became pregnant… then the pair in question would have to marry. Immediately.

Which was probably fair. This was probably going to be fine. How bad could these traditions be?

Chapter Text

Soon the entire group were shown to the place where they could stay for the remainder of their stay.

Two identical snow huts standing right next to each other. Though as they stepped inside Zuko was a bit stunned to see that inside… It was like a house.

Yeah, it was all built from ice just like everything else. Probably made by water benders. But the designs were elegant and… It was warm in here.

There was a fireplace with a fire happily burning the walls were all covered in furs… were the furs isolating the walls so they wouldn't melt?

It confused Zuko a lot how the entire house wasn't melting from the fire inside. But it wasn't.

They were quickly told which huts were for the males and which one was for the women. Didn't really matter though. They were equal in size.

And Mai wasn't late to point it out. "This is stupid," she commented. "How would they even know if I slept next to Zuko? Are they going to spy on us all night or something?"

Zuko looked at Mai. "It's really not that different from the fire nation palace or a noble house is it?" he asked. "I mean…. We were alone together on the field so no one could tell us what to do. If we had been living with someone it would have been a little different."

Mai pouted annoyed just as a couple of water tribesmen entered with new clothes for them.

Big parka's in blue, lined with furs, massive boots, and new gloves. This time made from skin rather than wool and had furs in them.

Critically did Mai pick up the heavy parka and looked it over. "What if I just stayed in here?" she asked. "With the fire?"

"That would be very rude," Zuko commented. "We have been invited to a feast. By the chief of the north pole. It would be rather dishonorable to refuse."

Mai closed her eyes.

"Come on it'll be fun." Sokka smiled. "There will be tons of food." he wriggled his eyebrows.

"If it's anything like the food Bato served us. I'll pass!" Mai stated.

"That's not nice," Sokka muttered. "Also those sea prunes were amazing."

Zuko turned his head away as he elected just not to respond.

"I'm sure there will be something we'll like." Aang grinned a little nervously.

"Fine then. You'll be the taste tester." Mai said dryly.

"Well… Erhm." Aang swallowed.

"I'll do it," Zuko said. "I'll taste the food. I know your taste pretty well so I should be able to tell if there's something you would like."

They both looked at Zuko.

"Wow." Aang blinked. "You really love her huh."

Zuko blinked. "Well…. Obviously."

"You would even eat a sea prune for her," Aang whispered.

"HEY! Sea prunes are amazing!" Sokka insisted again.

"I mean if for some reason I had to of course I would," Zuko said still looking beyond baffled. "But… I honestly rather not. If I don't have too."

They all looked at Zuko.

"Sea prunes really taste that bad for you guys?" Katara asked.

Zuko, Mai, and Aang all nodded as they replied simultaneously. "Yes."

 


 

In the evening a tribesman came to show the group towards the banquet hall. Mai had not hesitated to put on the new thicker water tribe clothes and that did indeed seem to do the trick as Mai was no longer complaining about the cold.

For appearance's sake, Zuko had put on his water tribe clothes too. He didn't need it like Mai…. His fire bending was keeping him warm.

But also Zuko didn't want to explain that to people. Everyone had pretty much agreed it was probably a good idea to keep his fire bending a secret.

Or just the fact that they were fire nation…

Definitely, the fact that Zuko was the son of Fire Lord Ozai.

Together they were led to a massive banquet hall where already people were being seated at various tables and the group got the spots as guests of honor at the big table slightly elevated above the others.

Zuko elected to just sit still with a straight back and an expressionless face like he had been taught so long ago in the fire nation palace.

Do not speak unless spoken to. Sit proper and with grace. Do not make a mess out of yourself.

Mai instantly took a similar stance sitting still and with a stone-cold face.

Then there were the other three who were just plainly gaping and looking around with wonder in their eyes. Then started to talk rather loudly while laughing and pointing.

Nervously did Zuko glance at Chief Arnook. Though it seemed that either he didn't notice the unrefined behavior or he just didn't care.

Then Arnook raised his arms and everyone silenced. "Please allow me a word!" he asked and everyone silenced. "Today. We were supposed to be gathered to celebrate my daughter. Princess Yue. Who today turns sixteen and is thus considered a true adult and of marrying age!"

At that people cheered as a young woman stepped out and Sokka just halted.

It was her! The girl with the snow white hair and the sparkling blue eyes. She smiled a little shyly as she waved a the cheering crowds.

Arnook rose his arms and people silenced again.

"As it happens. Tonight we will celebrate more than that. The Avatar himself has bestowed us a visit! He is on a mission to defeat the fire lord! My daughter is now of age and the Avatar is here! Truly this must be a sign of a better future to come!"

And people cheered even louder as Aang grinned awkwardly. Then scratched his neck.

"We also bid welcome to Sokka and Katara. From our sister tribe in the south! It has been far too long since we last talked to our sisters and brothers from the south. They shall know they can always find refuge here! They are our sister and brother!"

And people clapped their hands and smiled yet again and Sokka and Katara waved quietly.

"Lastly we have Lee and April of the earth kingdom." Arnook gestured. "They have been aiding the avatar in his journey and they are our guests. I expect people to treat them with respect. Even if they are strangers."

At this people just nodded politely and Zuko closed his eyes… yeah… not telling them they were fire nation had probably been the best idea.

"Now. Please enjoy the feast and the show provided by Master Pakku and his students!" Arnook asked and people gave one last cheer before finally digging into the food.

With doubt did Zuko look at all the strange dishes right in front of him. Sokka didn't seem to have any issue as he just piled up a smaller mountain on his own plate and ate happily.

Zuko hesitated. Then he took a little bit from each strange dish and put it on his plate… He hesitated as he looked at the stuff. And then finally picked up what looked like a little square of cold white meat.

At once Zuko's eyes widened and he had to struggle not to spit it back out and be rude and finally, he swallowed… It was really hard. But he managed.

Only to hopelessly look back at the plate.

"That didn't look very good," Aang commented as he looked at Zuko… Zuko glanced at Aangs plate and saw it was empty. Aang was expectantly looking at Zuko.

"I have no idea what that was," Zuko said in a weak voice.

"You didn't like the tiger seal lard? Seriously?" Sokka asked. "That's the best part!"

And Zuko put a hand against his mouth turning green.

Just then the young girl with snow white hair appeared in front of them smiling gently. At once Sokka just froze. Letting go of the food in his hand.

Yue smiled a little amused. "I hear our cuisine is a rather acquired taste for outsiders," she admitted. "Try that." she pointed at another white meat on Zuko's plate. "That's halibut. I hear it's quite popular in the earth kingdom."

Zuko hesitated. But finally dared to try and his eyes widened. "That's… Really good!" he said. "It's a bit bland but it's good."

Now Mai dared to put a piece on her own plate as well and tasted it carefully. A look of pure relief washed over Mai's face and she looked up with a thankful smile on her face. "Thank you."

"Uhm. I'm a vegetarian. I can't eat fish or any animals." Aang said. "What can I eat?" he asked.

"No fish or animals?" Yue asked. "Well… I guess the sea prune stew doesn't have either."

"I… erh… I'm not really into sea prunes." Aang admitted.

"Oh so sorry." Yue gasped. "Let's see… not animals, fish, or sea prunes." her brows furrowed. "I mean we have… Bread." she halted. Then looked deeply apologetic at Aang.

"Bread is good," Aang assured.

"I really am sorry," Yue said sincerely. "I'll bring this issue to the kitchen. I am sure they'll be able to figure something out."

"Don't think about it. It's your birthday right?" Aang asked. "You should enjoy yourself. I'm good with bread."

Yue smiled lightly and nodded. "Still. I'll make sure that from tomorrow there will be figured something out," she said and moved along the table so she could sit down… Next to Sokka.

Then elegantly started to put food on her own plate and Sokka… He was just starring.

He hadn't even eaten a single piece of food since Yue approached them, he looked frozen like a statue.

Yue blinked. Then turned her head and looked at Sokka.

At once Sokka's head snapped back and he wide-eyed looked in front of himself.

"So…. You're from the southern water tribe." Yue tried.

"Yeah! Yeah… Southern Water tribe." Sokka exclaimed. "And you're… Like a Princess… From Here."

Yue smiled a little amused. "I am."

"Oh that's great!" Sokka stated. "You see. My dad is also a chief! So I guess in a way. I'm sort of like a prince! I mean."

Zuko looked at Sokka. "Isn't there only like… fifteen people in your village?"

"Twenty-three!" Sokka exclaimed. "With the men gone. When they get back we'll be almost fifty people!"

Zuko was just quiet as he looked at Sokka who was covering his face with his hands as he blushed deeply from embarisment. Even he could hear how pathetic that sounded. 

Yue blinked at Sokka. Then chuckled into her hand.

Only to make Sokka's face go even redder and now he just grabbed the nearest bun and stuffed it into his mouth. Clearly to stop himself from talking any further.

Just then Katara screeched. So loudly it made everyone else jump in their seats. "SOKKA!" she shouted grabbing her brother's arm. Shaking him so he dropped the bun out of his mouth. "Sokka look! Sokka! WATER BENDERS!"

And Zuko blinked as he looked towards the stage in the back of the room and true enough. A group of young water benders raised their arms and started to perform.

Together they all manipulated the water between each other in an elegant dance.

One boy made a beautiful sculpture rise from the ground itself, looking like a fish springing up from the water.

Katara was beyond giddy as she was jumping up and down in her seat clapping her hands. "I can't wait till I get started! How did they do that? And that! And woooow! I want to learn how to do that!"

Yue blinked as she turned to Katara. "You're… A water bender?"

"Uhu." Katara nodded. "I came here to learn!"

"Oh." Yue blinked. "That's… I mean… I wish you good luck." she finally ended.

Katara didn't even notice. Too enthralled and excited by all the water bending going on in front of her and finally it ended and everyone clapped as Arnook stepped forward.

"Avatar Aang. May I present to you. Master Pakku." Arnook presented and an older man with long white hair stepped forward. Looking down at all of them with cold judging eyes.

Arnook continued. "He's our greatest water bending master and what you just saw were his best students. He has agreed to train the Avatar starting tomorrow."

"Really?" Aang asked. "THAT'S GREAT!" he beamed.

Pakku cleared his throat. "One thing you should know young Avatar. My class requires punctuality and discipline. You will meet up at sunrise! I do not tolerate my students being late. You will follow all of my instructions to the letter and not complain. You will not question me but listen. Work delinquently and don't complain. Do all of that and we'll get along just fine. Fail and you will be expelled from my class. The rules are the same for all of my students. Avatar or not."

Zuko looked up at Pakku…. It was like meeting another Jeong Jeong but water tribe. Once again Zuko had painful flashbacks of all his most despised instructors from the fire nation palace… He did not envy Aang and Katara.

Aang smiled a little sheepishly. "I'll do my best," he promised. "We'll be looking forward to your instructions Master Pakku."

Pakku offered them only a short nod. Then he looked at Zuko.

For a moment his eyes looked directly into Zuko's and Zuko's eyes widened.

"Another thing you kids should know," Pakku commented. His eyes not leaving Zuko. "I do not appreciate liars. No matter how good of a reason they think they have."

Zuko was stunned quiet. Pinned to the ground.

"Just know if there will be any trouble. I have no issue stating the truth to the chief." And then Pakku just turned around and plainly walked away.

Zuko was frozen to his seat and Mai swallowed. Then her hand found Zuko's under the table and Zuko grasped it tightly.

Did… Did Pakku know? But… How?!

One thing Zuko did know was that Pakku had just been giving him a warning. Zuko was definitely going to be on his best behavior… He had no particular desire to get on the bad side of another bending master. No thank you.

Chapter Text

That night… Zuko had a very tough time falling asleep.

His bed was weird. It was just furs on a very hard surface. And covering Zuko were furs as blankets too. They were very heavy on top of Zuko.

The hut was entirely unfamiliar to Zuko and he was in a strange land where there would be no escape if he was figured out.

Worst of all… Zuko seriously lacked that extra heartbeat next to his own. That heavy breath and a warm aura.

Zuko had been sleeping next to Mai every single night since the day he had run away with her. And now he really felt it.

Without her next to him Zuko's mind drifted back to the Wani and how it had felt sleeping there in a cold metal cabin. Stuck on an endless sea…. Alone.

"Hey." Suddenly Sokka's voice carried over from his own bed. "Hey, Zuko… Hey."

Zuko groaned deeply as he turned his head. "What?" he asked.

"So erhm." Sokka hesitated. "So you have a girlfriend right?"

Zuko's eyes snapped open. In an instant, he was wide awake… Did Sokka mean? Oh nooooo. And Zuko groaned as he buried his face down into his pillow.

"So how did you get Mai to like you?" Sokka asked.

"For the last time! I don't know!" Zuko exclaimed as he looked up.

"Oh." There was silence for a while. "So you guys… Kiss a lot." Sokka hesitated. "Is there… How do you… What I mean is."

Zuko's eyes widened and suddenly he felt his own body heat rising.

"I would like to know that too." Aang suddenly chimed in. "How… Do you kiss a girl? Zuko? What's it like?"

Wide-eyed Zuko turned around to see the other two boys looking at him with genuine and honest curiosity.

Agni… Why me? That was all that went through Zuko's head.

"Erhm…." Zuko swallowed as he slowly sat up. "It's… Nice." he said.

There was a bit of quiet.

"And?" Sokka asked.

"I don't know. I like it when Mai." And Zuko's mouth just snapped shut. "Never mind." he looked down.

"When Mai what?!" Sokka exclaimed. "Tell me!"

"That's none of your business!" Zuko snapped back.

"Well at least tell me what you do to her she likes the most," Sokka said.

Zuko's eyes widened and he gaped. "That… That's private!" he spluttered.

"Oh, so you are doing things to her." Sokka surmised. "I knew it."

"I… What I mean is. Shut up!" Zuko exclaimed.

Aang gaped. "You're not." he gasped then lowered his voice to a whisper. "You're not doing the thing that makes babies are you?"

Zuko's eyes were wide, he knew his entire body was red and he was steaming.

"Oh my Tui and La you are." Sokka gasped.

"No we're not!" Zuko exclaimed. "Mai knows how to do things so we don't run the risk of pregnancy!"

"Things like what?" Aang asked.

"I… That… Erhm." Zuko swallowed. "So… She uses her hands. And sometimes her mouth." he halted.

Sokka's eyes widened. "And then what?"

"NOTHING!" Zuko shouted. "Go back to sleep! Remember the last time you didn't sleep when you were supposed to start bending practice the next morning Aang."

"But Zukooo!" Aang complained.

"NO!" Zuko exclaimed. "It's none of your business! I don't have to tell you anything. Leave me alone!" he said as he laid back down.

That left Aang and Sokka alone. Then Sokka glanced at Aang.

"They are totally doing it," Sokka commented.

Only to suddenly have a boot flung across the room and it hit him right in the head.

"SHUT UP!" Zuko shouted.

"I think we should leave this for now." Sokka groaned deeply from the floor while Aang wide-eyed nodded.

"I think… We should just try to get some sleep." Aang commented as he laid back down.

 


 

Mai hated this… She had not slept alone since the day she ran away with Zuko. And before that, she had always been with her family.

She hated to admit it. But she felt incredibly vulnerable in this strange snow hut… Dammit. Why couldn't she just go and sleep in the same bed as Zuko?!

"So erh." Katara hesitated slightly. "You have a boyfriend right?"

Mai's eyes widened in shock.

Chapter Text

The next morning Aang was up before sunrise. Indeed he seemed to have learned his lesson from last time.

Zuko got up to the moment Aang woke him up. Pulled on all of the warm water tribe clothes and headed out with Aang only to meet Mai and Katara right outside.

The moment Zuko saw Mai he gasped and ran towards her. Mai did the same and they immediately hugged each other close.

"I missed you so much!" Zuko gasped.

"That was hell," Mai replied.

Aang blinked as he looked at them, looking utterly confused.

Katara however was blushing as she looked away biting her lip.

"Well," Aang said. "Katara and I should go meet with Master Pakku. We shouldn't be late."

Zuko nodded. "Sure. Good luck."

And they both smiled as they headed off towards the practice ground just as Sokka came out too with a big piece of jerky hanging out of his mouth.

"So Arnook asked me if I wanted to join the training grounds for young warriors. I'm totally up for that. Wanna come?" he asked. "I bet you could teach them all a thing or two… You could teach me a thing or two."

"Agni yes." Mai gasped. "I get to beat the hell out of someone?! Let's go!" she stated as she just grabbed Zuko's arm and pulled him with her.

Zuko only managed to offer Sokka one hopeless look. Sokka though only smirked as he shook his head and followed the two through the snow towards the practice grounds.

 


 

There was a stunned quiet. All the boys at the training crowd were just staring in shock and horror at Mai as she was just standing there in the middle of it all.

She looked around. "What?"

Then the boys started to whisper among themselves.

"What are you all whispering about?" Mai asked annoyed.

Then finally a boy looked up. "You can't be here!"

"Why?" Mai asked.

"Cause… You're a girl!"

There was stunned quiet. Zuko's eyes widened. Sokka's eyes widened. Mai's eyes widened.

…. What? Zuko blinked confused. Mai was super strong. The top of her class in the military academy. Able to take down benders by her lonesome. So yeah… What?

Mai frowned deeply. "What?" she asked.

Then finally a boy who looked to be around sixteen as well stepped up and waltzed towards Mai with obnoxious confidence in her steps. "I get it. You want to sneak in to have a good look at some real men. I totally get that. But sweetheart." he smirked at her. "You should probably get out of the way or you might get hurt."

"Excuse me?" Mai asked.

"But hey." The boy grinned. "If you want to. I could give you a private tour of our tribe after training. Maybe I'll even show you some moves. How about that?" he asked as he flexed his arm as to show off his muscle.

Mai's frown only deepened.

Zuko who was only standing a few feet away next to Sokka blinked.

"Dude," Sokka whispered. "He's hitting on your girlfriend."

"I… guess," Zuko commented.

"Aren't you going to do something?" Sokka asked.

Zuko looked at Sokka. "Why?" he asked.

And in the next second. The teenage boy just flew across the air, right past Zuko and Sokka, and landed harshly on the ground where he rolled around several times while Mai was clasping her hands with a resolute look on her face.

Sokka blinked. "Point taken."

The boy in the snow hissed. "You can't do that! Do you know who I am?" he asked.

Mai shrugged. "Don't know. Don't care."

"I am Hahn! Future chief of this tribe!" The boy, Hahn, yelled.

"Oh wow. Your tribe is screwed. You can't even handle a girl." Mai commented casually and the boy seethed, he jumped up and he ran straight for Mai.

Mai though was waiting for him and the moment he was in reach. She stepped aside, grabbed his arm and the boy was sent flying yet again.

"Your tribe is super screwed. This is so easy that it's boring." Mai yawned deeply.

Hahn seethed and came yet again and as it went on. Hahn was tripped, thrown down on the ground, forced into several somersaults. And Mai looked beyond bored.

All the boys were gaping as they were looking at it all happening, their mouths could not get any bigger.

Zuko and Sokka on the other hand, were starting to get pretty bored just watching the same thing repeating over and over.

And Hahn was getting more and more worked up. Probably didn't helped by Mai's casual attitude, the fact she didn't even seem to take him seriously. And a few very well placed insults.

"You." Hahn gasped. "You think you're so cool." and suddenly he picked up a club.

Mai smirked. "Finally. Some fun around here."

Sokka sighed deeply. "I'll bet you five silvers that she'll take him down in less than five seconds."

"Fine. My bet is she takes him down in less than three." Zuko replied.

"Hey that's not fair," Sokka exclaimed and Zuko shrugged as Hahn roared and came running straight for Mai with the club raised high in the air.

"WHAT IS GOING ON HERE!" a booming voice yelled and everyone just stopped and turned to see middle-aged man coming walking towards them.

This man had long dark hair in a traditional wolf's tale, a nasty scar covering his chin, and looked very strong and bulky.

"This girl is refusing to leave the training grounds!" Hahn exclaimed loudly.

Mai groaned. "This guy is just mad that I am wiping the floor with him."

"That's a lie!" Hahn exclaimed. "You are just a girl!"

"True," Mai commented. "Yet somehow you are a bigger pussy than I am."

And Hahn spluttered.

"ENOUGH!" The warrior shouted. "These are the training grounds for our future warriors! Women are not allowed as they will only distract young boys. Please leave."

Mai was standing still… Absolutely still. "What?" she asked.

"You heard me." The warrior said. "If you desire to help there is always a need among the seamstress's and cooks of our village."

"What?!" Mai exclaimed.

"Hey hold on!" Zuko stepped forward. "She didn't even do anything wrong! And April is an incredible fighter! Are you really going to waste this opportunity? She might be able to teach you some stuff."

Hahn snorted. "Girls don't fight. Stupid."

Zuko looked blankly at Hahn. "Huh?"

"The men hunts and fights! The women cook food, clean, and sew! Everyone knows that!" Hahn exclaimed.

Again Zuko just looked extremely blankly at Hahn. "That's really stupid." he finally said.

Hahn rolled his eyes. "Well, I suppose earth kingdom peasants wouldn't understand. I bet even the southern water tribe would get it. Right?" he looked at Sokka.

"Well erh." Sokka hesitated. "It's true that in our tribe the women don't fight," he said. "However… We don't really have the luxury of only having the men hunt. When I left I was the oldest male in the entire village. There were just women so… If they didn't hunt and fish we would all starve."

Hahn didn't look the least bit impressed with that. In fact, he looked a little disgusted.

Mai snorted. "Well fine then! We'll just go somewhere else then!" she shouted as she grabbed Zuko's arm and pulled him with her. "Come on Lee! Maybe we can teach these guys how to make different kinds of food!"

"Oh okay." Zuko took a step with her.

"Wait… Are you going to go cook with the women?!" Hahn exclaimed. Then he laughed.

Zuko blinked. "What's wrong with me cooking?" he asked.

"You're a guy." Hahn pointed out.

"Erhh…. I have been alone only with April in the wasteland for a very long time. If we didn't know how to cook we would starve." Zuko informed. "And if we couldn't both fight we would be killed. We had to always have each other's back. Both when it comes to food and defending ourselves… Like Sokka said. We didn't really have the same kind of luxury that you do now."

Hahn rolled his eyes. "Well go then Mrs. and Mrs. Earth peasant."

Zuko looked at Hahn. "You know… I thought I was only ever going to hear that kind of slur from fire nation nobles and military. Glad to be proven wrong." he stated. And then he grabbed Mai's hand and walked away with her.

Only for Sokka to halt. "HEY! WAIT FOR ME!" he shouted running after them.

Zuko sighed. "You don't have to come with us. Maybe you can learn some fighting techniques here. That's what you want right? And at least you will be accepted."

"Yeah, I do. But that doesn't mean I am okay with this." Sokka said.

Zuko shook his head. "You want to be a good warrior. This is your chance to learn. And even to teach them a few things. Stay and learn." he asked. "It might be life saving when we get back on the field."

Sokka halted. "You sure?" he asked. "Seriously! I'm not with them on this. I am with you guys!"

"We know." Mai smiled lightly. "Lee is right though. You need to learn. So learn for us. We'll go make some food that won't make us sick."

"Okay then." Sokka sighed. "I'll see you guys later okay." he padded Zuko on the shoulder and Zuko nodded a little defeated.

"Try not to kill that guy. He's insufferable." Zuko groaned.

"No promises," Sokka commented and Mai smirked. But finally, they parted ways.

Zuko and Mai going back towards town and Sokka heading towards the training grounds to train with the other boys his age.

….. What a great start. Zuko could only hope that Aang and Katara were faring just a little bit better.

Chapter Text

At first, when Mai and Zuko settled in the cooking hut, all the women were baffled and confused as they looked at Zuko.

Even rather nervous as Zuko asked for things to do and they didn't really know what to do about it.

Soon enough though. Zuko was peeling some winter roots. And as he did, the women all warmed up to his presence. And then game all the giggling and talking.

And then suddenly Zuko was just surrounded by young women on all sides, waving their eyelashes at him.

"I never met a man who cooks before." One young woman giggled. "That's so… attractive! I want to taste what you cook."

Zuko was completely oblivious as he peeled his winter root. "Sure." he simply said and the girl giggled.

"I want to taste first!" Another girl shouted reaching up a hand in the air.

"I mean okay. A fair warning though I erh… I tend to burn things." Zuko blushed deeply. "Sorry," he whispered and all the girls just giggled and batted their eyelashes at him.

And one girl even went so far as to move closer to Zuko, now her shoulder touching Zuko's. Only for a second though.

Suddenly Mai just grabbed the girl by the neck of her clothes, pulled her out, and took her place next to Zuko.

That wasn't enough though. The next moment she just plainly sat down on Zuko's lap making him drop the half peeled root.

"A… APRIL!" Zuko shouted shocked. "What."

Then Mai put her arms around Zuko's neck and looked at all the girls. "Yeah. It's super nice when my boyfriend cooks me food."

The girls all blinked.

"You're together?" A girl asked. "But… you're not even wearing an engagement necklace."

Mai blinked. "A what?" she asked.

At that, another girl pulled down in her dress showcasing a necklace very similar to Katara's. "When someone gets engaged the man is supposed to make the woman a necklace."

Zuko blinked then looked at Mai. "Katara is engaged?" he asked.

"No, she got the necklace from her mom. I don't think she knows what it is." Mai replied.

"Oh… So you don't have engagement necklaces in the earth kingdom?" The first girl asked and both Mai and Zuko shook their heads.

She blushed a bit. "Sorry if we came on a bit strong. He's just so… So… cute!" she exclaimed and all the girls giggled in their hands.

Zuko blinked confused. "What?" he asked.

"Yeah, he is." Mai sighed deeply leaning back but not moving away from Zuko's lap.

"I…. April what is going on?" Zuko asked in a whisper sounding very genuinely disturbed.

"Don't worry about it, dearest." Mai lightly clapped him on the cheek. "And give me a kiss," she asked as she leaned up and lightly kissed Zuko on the lips.

All the girls screeched and blushed deeply.

"What?" Mai asked.

"You're not married and you kissed!" A girl exclaimed. "Eeeeeh! You're so bad." she laughed into her hands.

"You mean badass." Another girl said. "I heard she completely wiped the floor with Hahn on the training grounds this morning," she whispered and the other girl's eyes widened.

"That loser?" Mai asked. "It wasn't even a challenge."

And all the girls giggled.

"You're my hero!" a girl exclaimed. "How do I become like you?"

"Well, lesson one. Stop giving a fuck what all those old nobles think." Mai informed and everyone gasped.

"Oh my gosh her language! She's just saying it!" A girl gasped.

"Step two. When you want something." At that Mai grabbed the front of Zuko's parka. "Go ahead and take it." and then she just pulled Zuko down for a second kiss and all the girls squealed in pure delight.

 


 

In the afternoon as Zuko and Mai returned to the snow huts just as the sun was going down. They decided to go into the boy's snow hut that was a little bit bigger to make some tea.

Someone else seemed to have figured out this would be their hangout hut as Katara was already in there. Sitting on one of the beds and looking beyond annoyed.

Zuko blinked as he looked at her. "Katara?" he asked.

Katara huffed.

"You okay?" Zuko asked.

"Pakku won't teach me water bending!" Katara exclaimed loudly.

There was silence. Stunned silence.

"What?" Zuko asked. "Why?"

"Cause I'm a girl!" Katara shouted. "Apparently girls aren't allowed to water bend! Have you ever heard of anything more ridiculous?"

Stunned Zuko looked at Katara. "Wow that's…. Really stupid," he commented. "I mean. A bender is a bender right? And… The entire world is at war. So they are excluding half of their potential benders cause… what?"

"Exactly!" Katara exclaimed. "But nooo! Apparently men fight and women heal! And you are not allowed to mix and match."

"Hey, wait. Hold up. Heal?" Zuko asked.

Katara sighed deeply as she lifted a hand, water enveloping it, and then it glowed for a bit. "Turns out water bending can heal."

Wide-eyed Zuko looked at Katara. "Really?" he asked. "That's… Amazing! Wow. I wish I could do that." he looked at his hand.

"Well… yes. It is pretty amazing." Katara admitted. "But that's not the point! I can fight too!" she stood up.

Zuko held up his hand. "I agree! You had to figure everything out by yourself and you're already very good. This is just… Stupid. They wouldn't allow Mai to fight either." he informed. "And it was ridiculous! She was wiping the floor with those guys. But just because she's a girl…. Which is insane. I mean." Zuko scratched his cheek. "My sister is a girl too and she's a demon easily destroying everything in her path whether they be male or female."

There was silence… Absolute silence.

"Your… sister?" Katara asked. "Oh… You did mention that," she remembered. "Shortly."

"I… Haven't seen her for three years." Zuko admitted.

"I'm so sorry," Katara whispered.

Zuko was silent for a solid five seconds then finally replied. "I'm not."

Katara blinked confused just as Sokka came in closely followed by Aang.

"Girls are the worst!" Sokka cried as he just fell face down on his bed crying.

That at once got him the full attention of both Mai and Katara. "What?!" they both exclaimed loudly.

"It's Yue!" Sokka cried. "I asked her if she wanted to meet me at the bridge and she said yes."

"But that's good… Right?" Zuko asked.

"First she kisses me and then she starts crying! And then she runs away! What happened? Why?" Sokka cried.

Aang blinked as he looked at Sokka. "Wow… You must be a really bad kisser."

"THAT'S NOT WHAT HAPPENED!" Sokka shouted. "She kissed me! On the cheek!" he pointed at his cheek. "It was so weird. One moment smiles, next moment crying! What did I do?! I didn't do anything! THIS IS THE WORST DAY OF MY LIFE!"

"Your worst day?!" Katara shouted. "Apparently I am not good enough to be a water bender! Because I'm a girl! Have you ever heard anything more stupid?!"

"Who cares about that. My life is over." Sokka sniffed.

"Oh grow up!" Katara exclaimed. "What made you think you had any chance with the princess of this place anyway?"

"But she's so beautiful." Sokka gasped. "And kind… And warm. Zuko you get it right? Have you ever seen a more pretty girl?"

Zuko blinked as he tried to think about Yue… Honestly, she mostly reminded him of those delicate porcelain dolls Azula would always be burning to ashes. Something that would break upon the slightest impact and Zuko honestly had never really gotten the appeal himself. "I mean she's fine I guess."

"Why did I even ask you! I already know what you're into." Sokka huffed.

Mai was not amused. She was glaring daggers at Sokka.

"You just met her yesterday," Katara exclaimed. "Water bending is my dream! It's all I ever wanted. To learn how to be a real water bender! And he won't even try to teach me!"

"I… I'm so sorry." Aang whispered. "I should have fought more."

"No… No." Katara shook her head. "You're the Avatar. You have to learn. The world depends on it."

"So if Aang is learning anyway. Why doesn't he just teach Katara?" Sokka asked in a pout.

There was silence. Absolute silence.

Katara gasped. "SOKKA YOU'RE A GENIUS!"

"That's perfect!" Aang beamed. "I get to practice and Katara gets to learn! We both win!"

"Oh… That's good that's figured out at least." Zuko scratched his cheek. "So erhm Sokka. How was training?"

"It sucked," Sokka muttered. "None of the others even knew how to throw a boomerang. And they barely took it seriously. It was a complete joke. Couldn't you two just teach me instead?" he asked looking at Zuko and Mai. "Please?"

"I mean… I suppose. Not like we have much else to do around here." Zuko commented. "Apparently men aren't really supposed to be in the kitchen."

"See I told you," Mai commented. "I told all of you this place was going to suck!"

There was silence.

"So erh… Tea?" Zuko asked. And everyone nodded in acceptance. "Right." Zuko nodded, he looked himself over the shoulder as if to check that they were really alone. And then finally he snapped his finger, making a small flame appear on his thumb so he could turn on the fire in the middle of the hut.

Katara frowned. "Doesn't it ever annoy you that you have to hide your fire bending?" she asked.

"I mean… I guess." Zuko commented. "It's not really any different from being in the earth kingdom is it? The only place fire bending would be accepted is in the fire nation. And I really can't go there. Because you know… They'll kill me." then he sighed as he found the kettle and filled it with water as he continued talking.

"So really this isn't so bad at all, is it? So far the worst punishment I heard about is people being forced into kitchen duty. At worst being thrown into the water for a quick cool down." he put the kettle on the fire, "These rules are stupid. Don't get me wrong… But no one is being threatened with getting burned or killed. Not even a flogging so… " he shrugged. "We just have to stick through it. We came here for Aang to learn water bending. And that's exactly what we're getting. So I don't think we have any right to complain."

Katara exhaled deeply as her shoulders. "You're right," she muttered. "I just… It sucks! For all my life I was the only water bender around! I never met any other water bender. Now I am here… And they are right there! And they won't teach me." her eyes watered. "That's not fair!"

Zuko quieted and he looked up at Katara. "You never met another water bender?"

Sokka sighed. "The fire nation stole all of the water benders of the south pole long before either of us were born. When Katara found out she was a water bender. There hadn't been any other there for decades."

"Oh… I'm sorry." Zuko whispered. "So you're the only water bender in the south pole?" he asked.

Katara nodded.

"So… Pakku is denying all of the south pole water bending. That's… Messed up." Zuko commented and Katara's eyes widened.

Then her eyes squinted. "You got a point. I could do so much at home… build houses like these ones if I only knew how… But they won't tell me how." she hissed. "Cause I'm a girl!"

"Screw them," Mai stated and Katara looked up.

"Screw them. You don't need them." Mai informed. "You already figured this much out on your own. You can figure out the rest by yourself too. Easy. Aang will help you too. So fuck that old fart. I already know I am one of the best warriors here! I don't need anybody to tell me that. And you will become a water bending master! With or without that old gasbag!"

Katara looked at Mai. And then she smiled lightly, she chuckled as she wiped away a tear. "Thank you," she whispered. "I needed to hear that."

"Us girls gotta stick together." Mai shrugged and Katara laughed again.

Zuko exhaled deeply. Well… At least they were figuring it out.

Chapter Text

As the sun had sat outside and darkness covered the north pole. Aang and Katara quietly snuck out.

The moment they did. Mai laid down…. On Zuko's bed.

Zuko blinked as she looked at her. "Erh… We're not supposed to." he hesitated.

"How in the name of Agni would they even know?!" Mai exclaimed. "Unless someone is spying on us. How? And I don't think the north pole would sink that low."

Zuko smiled a little sheepishly and finally crawled up next to Mai. Happily settling in her warm embrace. And immediately he felt a ton of his former tension just wash away.

For a while Zuko was just laying there, breathing deeply, like he would when meditating. Enjoying the warm furs covering him and Mai. Mai's presence right behind him… Her arms held him and Zuko felt safe... For just a little while. And then a shout sounded from outside.

"I'M SORRY! I DIDN'T MEAN!"

At once Zuko shot up. And so did Mai and Zuko. They all looked at each other. "Aang!" they all shouted and then ran outside to find Katara and Aang standing by a puddle and high above them standing on the world was.

"Pakku." Zuko breathed.

"You disrespected me. My teachings. And my entire culture." Pakku informed.

"What? What happened?" Zuko asked.

"I… I just tried to show Katara some of the water bending moves I learned today." Aang gasped.

"And I already informed you this morning! That is not allowed!" Pakku exclaimed. "I will not teach you water bending!"

"WHAT?!" Zuko screamed.

"And you." Pakku looked down at Zuko. "I warned you. What was that girl doing in the boy's hut? In the middle of the night?" he asked.

"No.. NOTHING!" Zuko screeched.

"Don't peg me for a fool. Clearly none of you have any respect for my tribe nor our culture!" Pakku exclaimed. "You bring girls to our combat training. You have a male distracting our cooks. We give you simple instructions and you all refuse to follow." he inhaled deeply. "Clearly. You do not want the Avatar to be taught water bending."

"That's not true… I…" Aang swallowed.

"You are no longer welcome as my student," Pakku informed. Then he turned… And left.

Mai huffed annoyed. "Jerk."

Aang shook. "What do we do?" he asked.

Katara squinted her eyes as she turned her head. Her hands were shaking as they formed into fists and she hissed. "I suppose… We better apologize."

Sokka blinked. "Seriously?"

"Aang has to learn water bending!" Katara exclaimed. "If he doesn't. The world burns! We have no choice!"

"I'm not apologizing," Mai informed as she crossed her arms.

"Mai." Zuko breathed.

"No! Why should I?" Mai asked. "He's an old pathetic man who thinks he's so good! Just like all of the nobles in the fire nation. No!"

Zuko sighed deeply as he put his hands on Mai's shoulders and closed his eyes. "The Avatar has to learn water bending," he whispered. "Otherwise more people are going to be burned… More people are going to die. We cannot forget why we are here in the first place. Mai." he looked at her meeting his eyes.

For a moment Mai was looking into Zuko's eyes and she groaned deeply. "Urgh. Fine!" she exclaimed and Zuko smirked. "But you are going to owe me for this! Zuko!" she demanded poking a finger in his chest. "You'll owe me big times! There's a lot I would do for you. But this is seriously a new low!"

Zuko took both of Mai's hands in his own and then kissed them gently. "Whatever you want."

"Well… If you're asking." Mai commented. "One of those necklaces might be nice."

Zuko blinked. "Oh. Really?" he asked.

"Apparently relationships are not official around here without them so yeah." Mai nodded.

"Heh," Zuko smirked amused. "Well, I never really tried to carve anything. But I'll give it a shot."

"Doesn't need to be anything special." Mai sighed. "I just want them to know that yeah. We're legit."

"Okay." Zuko smiled then sighed. "Suppose we better sleep in separate huts though." and Mai groaned deeply.

 


 

The next day. The entire group moved to the big icy palace and no one was in a good mood. Everyone was unhappy and grumbling.

And then as they entered. It was like people had just been waiting for them.

Arnook was there…. And Yue… And Pakku.

Arnook raised an eyebrow. "We gave you very clear rules. Very clear instructions. And yet I hear you all failed to follow them."

They were all biting their lips, clearly everybody was a hair away from snapping.

"We're… Sorry." Aang finally spoke up for the group. "It won't happen again. Not any of the things. April will stay away from the training grounds. Lee will stay out of the kitchens. The girls won't be in the boy's hut after sunset or the boys in the girl's hut. And I won't teach Katara. Please….. Give me another chance. Teach me water bending." he asked.

Pakku lifted an eyebrow and Aang stood with a raised eyebrow. Aang stood with a bowed head.

"Aang didn't think he was doing anything wrong." Katara then said. "Please give him another chance."

"Well… Maybe just one more chance." Pakku commented and they looked up. "If the girl apologize."

And there was silence… Dead silence.

"That's very reasonable wouldn't you say?" Arnook asked.

Katara gritted her teeth as her fists tightened.

"Just swallow your pride and apologize to him." Arnook urged her.

Katara seethed as she looked behind herself at Aang. Then back up at Pakku. "Fine." she finally muttered.

There was a moment of silence as Katara was clearly struggling.

"I'm waiting little girl," Pakku smirked, looking much too happy with the situation.

And that was the moment. The moment Katara's eyes widened and then, her face turned into an angry scowl. "No," she said.

"Oh?" Pakku asked. "So you don't want the Avatar to learn water bending?"

"I am not Apologizing to you!" Katara exclaimed pointing at Pakku.

There were multiple reactions. Zuko's eyes widened in pure horror. Sokka looked shocked. So did Aang. And a smirk spread on Mai's lips.

Then Katara stamped in the ground a big crack appeared under her feet. "There is no way I am apologizing to a sour old man like you!" she screamed. Pointing at Pakku.

Suddenly the entire palace was shaking and Zuko gasped as he looked around.

"You are an old, pathetic, stuck up bully! I CHALLENGE YOU TO A FIGHT! I'll fight you! Right here! Right now!"

"WHAT?!" Zuko screamed beyond horrified.

"Katara. I don't think." Sokka tried to put a hand on her shoulder.

"GET OFF ME!" Katara tore her shoulder away then pointed at Pakku. "YOU! Meet me outside if you're man enough to fight! Now!"

And then she turned around and stomped towards the exit.

"I…" Aang halted. "I'm sure she didn't mean that."

"Yeah, I am pretty sure she did," Sokka commented and Zuko just turned around and stormed after her.

"Katara! KATARA DON'T!" Zuko shouted as he ran to get in front of her. "Don't fight him! Don't do it!"

"Out of my way! And don't stop me!" Katara huffed.

"You don't understand!" Zuko hissed. "He's a bending master! This is like an Agni Kai but with water! You can't!"

"Yes. I. Can!" Katara exclaimed as she stepped around Zuko and now got out on the stairs just in time for Sokka, Aang and Mai to catch up.

"You're crazy Katara! You're not going to win this fight!" Sokka exclaimed.

Just as Katara pulled off his parka and threw it right into Sokka's face. "I know! I don't care!"

"You don't have to do this for me!" Aang pleaded. "I can find another bending teacher!"

"This isn't for you!" Katara exclaimed.

"No," Mai commented. "It's for her."

"How come you're fine with this?!" Zuko exclaimed.

"That man needs to get slapped some sense into him!" Katara exclaimed.

"What Katara said," Mai said as Katara finally reached the plaza and turned around to look up at the top of the stairs.

And there was Pakku. Very calmly walking with his hands behind his back.

"Oh so you decided to show up!" Katara exclaimed.

Zuko gasped. "I can't let this happen I…" at that Mai put a hand on his shoulder and gently pulled him back.

"Unlike you back then. She's ready to fight," she whispered. "She needs this. Let her."

Zuko shivered as he hissed.

"And none of us are going to let anything happen to her." Mai said as she pulled out a knife. "We all have her back if he gets out of line." and Zuko nodded as Pakku kept walking down.

Arnook and Yue now also coming down the stairs not far behind him.

Finally, Pakku was down beside Katara… And then he just kept walking right past her.

"HEY!" Katara shouted. "Aren't you going to fight?" she asked.

Pakku didn't even turn his head to look at her. "Go back to the healing huts where you belong."

Katara seethed and then suddenly, a water whip formed and smacked Pakku right in the back of his head.

That made Pakku stop. "Fine," he said. "You want to learn how to fight so bad?" and he turned around finally looking at Katara. "Study closely!"

And then with an incredible speed, he just pulled up the waters and flung it at Katara who came running and was knocked back.

Then Pakku made a circle of water around them both. Pulling Katara closer and closer. "Don't worry! I won't hurt you." he almost laughed.

Zuko gasped as Mai's hand on his shoulder tightened.

"He's not even taking her seriously," Mai commented. "She can use that."

The water was sent away only for Pakku to make another ice shield. Katara had yet to get any attack in.

She glided around and landed on a pedestal and then Pakku send a wave at her. Only for Katara to freeze her feet and slash through the water.

Zuko blinked. "That's… How you block fire when fire bending." he commented as Katara now advanced.

She rose the water to create a pillar and send slices of ice towards Pakku.

"That's earth bending." Zuko commented. "She's not fighting like a water bender. She's fighting like a fire or earth bender."

"Well of course she does." Mai closed her eyes. "She's never even met another water bender until the day before yesterday. All she had was trying to learn from other bending forms she saw…. The way she jumps around."

"Air bending." Zuko sighed defeated. "But none of those are her actual element."

"Still… When she finally learns real water bending and can combine all of that. She's going to be incredible." Mai commented.

"Well I must say." Pakku suddenly commented after nearly having tripped. "You are an excellent water bender."

Zuko gasped… So even Pakku could see the clear potential here.

"But you still won't teach me. Will you?" Katara asked.

"No," Pakku replied and attacked again.

For what Katara had had to work with in the past… She was good. Really good. She had managed to observe other bending forms and learned to the best of her abilities.

But it still didn't change the fact that Katara was horrible outmatched and soon the battle was over as Pakku had trapped Katara in multiple spikes of ice.

It was over… And it was all too clear who won.

"This fight is over," Pakku said in a firm voice. And then started to just walk away with his hands behind his back.

"Come back here! I'm not finished yet!" Katara shouted.

"Yes," Pakku informed. "You are."

"COWARD!" Katara shouted. "All of you! Cowards!"

Pakku sighed deeply. "You come here and insult us all. And now you're calling us cowards?" he asked. "Does your insolence know no bounds?"

"I don't know. Does yours?" Katara asked in a cry. "There's a war out there. With people dying every single day. I've seen it… I've been in it. And here you are hiding behind your big wall claiming you are so much better than everyone else! You called our tribe your sister tribe. But where were you?" she asked. "Where were you when the black snow fell and the fire nation destroyed our homes huh? Where were you when they came and killed our people! Right in front of our eyes!"

There was stunned silence from all of the listeners standing there in shock. The citizens, Arnook, Yue. And even Pakku seemed to have frozen as he stood with his back to Katara.

"Where were you." Katara sniffed. "When they either stole or killed every last water bender at the south pole! Where were you?"

Pakku frowned as he turned around finally looking at Katara. "You are from the south pole and you are a water bender." he pointed out.

"I am the only one!" Katara hissed. "When I grew up. There were no water benders. None! They were taken before I was born. Or killed! We live in tents and huts made by hand. We do what we must to survive! Not like any of you can relate. That if we had a bad hunt the children were going the be hungry. That if the fire nation comes we can't defend ourselves. And people die." he hissed. "Do you know what it looks like when someone dies right in front of you? When someone is burned to death? Do you know what that scream sounds like? What the smell is like? ... I do. I was there. Those sounds and those smells. I will never forget it. Do you know what it feels like when all the men leave to fight this stupid war. And no one knows if we'll ever see them again. All our men could be dead and we would have no way of knowing it! And we are just us. A handful of women and children. All alone and we have to fend for ourselves to survive. Every single day! Of course you don't know what it feels like! You never send anyone! You're all just hiding behind walls of ice. You never had to give up a single thing or fight for one single day of your life!"

There was gaping and stunned silence as everyone heard Katara's words and she spat.

"I am not even asking you to defend them. I was just asking you to teach me so could defend my own tribe. ARGH!" she yelled and then the spikes around Kataras's body shattered and she managed to step out.

Then Katara laughed a weird laughter. "Tui and La you are so pathetic," she commented slapping a hand towards her forehead. "The world out there is burning. People are dying. We have one chance to stop all of this. And you won't do your part. Hah. And why is that?" she looked at Pakku. "Because you can't stand being told off by one little girl."

There was absolute stunned silence as everyone looked at Katara.

"Well.. When the fire nation comes for you. I hope you'll be happy." Katara said. "Because trust me. They will come. The fire nation is not going to stop before they have everything. They will not be satisfied before they have the entire world! And guess what. Your tribe is part of that world too. But I guess your pride is more important than the lives of millions of people." she shrugged. "The world is going to burn because Pakku, by the end of the day, is nothing but a sad little man," she stated as she turned around and walked away.

Pakku seethed. "You made a great mistake." he seethed. "I would have taught him. I just wanted to teach you a lesson. But not anymore!"

Katara didn't reply, she just walked.

"Sort of proving her point there old man." Mai shrugged and walked with her.

Zuko nodded and walked too and so did Sokka and Aang. And now Pakku was the one seething.

 


 

Only as the entire team had returned to their snow hut did Katara gasp as she realize. "My necklace!" she frantically touched her neck. "I must have dropped it in the fight! I…I have to go find it." she halted.

"It's okay," Sokka said. "I'll go find it for you."

"I'll help." Zuko stood up and Mai nodded as she did too.

"Me too," Mai said then looked at Katara. "You did great Katara. That was incredible."

"Was it?" Katara asked. "Or did I just sacrifice the entire world for my own pride?"

"No." Zuko shook his head. "We are going to figure this out. Somehow. There are more than one water bender here. So it might not be the best water bender. But at least it'll be someone we can actually respect."

Aang nodded. "I don't want to be taught by that man. Come one let's go find Katara necklace," he said and they all nodded.

"Get some rest Katara," Sokka asked. "You need it."

"Thank you," Katara whispered and the rest left to retrieve the necklace.

Chapter Text

As Zuko and the others came back to the plaza. Any remains of the fight were already cleaned up and… There was no necklace.

They started to search the grounds and ask the people around.

"Excuse me," Sokka asked. "Have any of you seen a necklace around? It has the water tribe symbol on it." the women all shook their heads.

"Sorry." Zuko tried. "My friend dropped her necklace. It is made from a blue ribbon and the pendant has the water tribe symbol on it." again shaking heads.

They went over the plaza multiple times… But no necklace. They asked around. But no necklace.

Sokka tried to check the entire route going to the snow huts. No necklace.

Finally they even tried inside of the palace… And still no necklace.

They kept searching for hours upon hours…. But there was no necklace. And finally, as the day was already over and it was dark yet again. The team returned to Katara in the hut. Utterly defeated.

"I'm so sorry Katara." Sokka swallowed. "We did our best."

Katara squinted her eyes. "No, it's my fault. I should have been more careful."

"It might turn up," Aang commented. "Now a lot of people know that we are looking for it."

"Let's hope it turns up before they remember that they need to kick us out of the water tribe." Mai sighed deeply as she sat down. "I am honestly a little surprised it didn't happen yet."

"They wouldn't!" Aang gasped. "Would they?"

Zuko swallowed. "After what Katara said?" he asked. "I… If that had been in the fire nation. To a respected bending master representing the leader of the nation? And the leader was watching it?!" he asked and he shook all over his body. "That would have been reason enough for an execution."

There was stunned silence.

"So erhm." Sokka swallowed. "Should we pack up or?"

"This place sucks but it isn't the fire nation." Katara sighed. "We just have to find someone else to teach Aang water bending. We haven't been kicked out yet."

"Who needs that old poopy head anyway?" Sokka asked.

"YEAH!" Aang exclaimed. "He's just a dried up sea prune who can't accept that he got schooled!"

"Erh guys… I don't think we should be disrespecting him any further." Zuko swallowed.

Sokka rolled his eyes. "Not like he can hear us. He's so old anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if he can't even hear anymore!"

"He's a complete jerk face," Mai stated.

"Loser." Katara agreed. "I heard men like him act that way cause they got a small dick! They are compensating."

"You got it." Mai grinned. "I wouldn't even be surprised if his dick is all dried up and that's what got him all grumpy."

Katara snickered into her hands.

"I think we can all agree that Pakku is a total loser face!" Sokka exclaimed. "He has his head so far up his ass that it's coming out again at the neck!" he informed and they all laughed and giggled.

Just then it knocked on the door and Sokka stood up to open it.

"Then again. I don't think his head can fit up his ass." Sokka grinned as he moved towards the door. "There's too much hot air in there!" he beamed and they all laughed. Then Sokka put his hand on the door handle. "Master Pakku? More like Master my head is just a big butt!" he stated looking at the others as he twisted the door handle and opened the door.

The moment he did everyone silenced and Sokka blinked. "What?" he asked. Then he turned his head to see who was in the door and suddenly a big scream of shock escaped Sokka's mouth.

For there was… Master Pakku in all his glory. Standing with a straight back and his hands behind his back as he looked down at Sokka. "Master what young Sokka?" he asked. "I didn't quite hear that. But then again I am so old it's a miracle I can hear anything at all. Isn't it?"

Sokka squealed again and then he just slammed the door shut… Then he halted.

"OH NO!" Sokka screamed. "What did I do?!"

"You slammed the door in Pakku's face," Mai informed.

"THAT IS NOT HELPING!" Sokka shouted just as the door opened again. This time Pakku did it himself and Sokka stumbled back.

Then Pakku stood there as he looked inside with a cold look in his eyes.

Katara huffed as she stood up. "What do you want?" She asked.

Pakku looked at Katara. There was a deep frown on his face and yet he seemed impossible to read. Then he held up his hand holding a little object. "I was informed that this was yours."

"MY NECKLACE!" Katara shouted as immediately she just ran over and grabbed it before stepping back. Looking apprehensively at Pakku.

Pakku in return looked down at Katara. "Where did you get that from?" he asked.

Katara swallowed. "My mother gave it to me," she said.

Pakku's frown deepened even further. "And where did she get it from?" he asked.

"My Gran Gran." Katara replied.

At that Pakku blinked. "May I ask. What is the name of your Gran Gran?" he asked.

"Kanna. Why?" Katara asked.

For a long time there was silence, the two looked at each other.

"I should have known," Pakku commented. "You look a lot like her. And you certainly have her attitude."

At that Katara halted. They all did as they stood there in shock.

"You… You know my Gran Gran?" Katara asked shocked.

Pakku was silent, it was probably only for seconds but it felt like a very long time. "Yes. I knew her. A very long time ago." he said. "It's freezing out here. Is anyone going to invite me in?"

That made everyone look at each other, utterly confused, but finally they nodded.

"Please come in," Zuko asked and Pakku stepped inside and then sat down at their table with a straight back. Zuko swallowed. "Erhm… Can I offer you a cup of tea?" he asked.

Pakku smirked a little amused. "Yes please. That would be nice Prince Zuko."

And Zuko jumped up, so did everyone else, Pakku though wasn't moving a face muscle.

"You… YOU KNOW WHO HE IS!" Sokka shouted. "How did you know?"

"His face is rather recognizable isn't it?" Pakku asked. "How many people do you think there are out there with golden eyes and a burn scar covering the left side of their faces? I knew from the moment you all sat foot upon our tribe."

Zuko gulped intimidated.

"Then…. Why didn't you say anything?" Sokka asked.

Pakku looked down. "Some things are more important than pride." he glanced away. "It's something… I should have remembered."

Again there was stunned quiet.

"Will there be any tea?" Pakku then asked.

"Ah yes! Of course!" Zuko exclaimed and went to work and soon the scent of tea was in the air.

Pakku was just sitting with a straight back looking as regal and fine as ever. Everyone was just confused looking at him as Zuko finally sat down all the cups and started to pour tea for all of them. Then sat down.

"Thank you." Pakku picked up his teacup and took a small sip.

"Okay, what do you want?" Sokka asked. "You gave the necklace back. So why are you here?"

Pakku lowered his cup. Then looked seriously at them. "Is it true what Katara said?" he asked. "There are no water benders at the south pole?"

There was silence for a while then Katara shook her head.

"None," Katara whispered. "They wouldn't allow us a single one, in fact…" she swallowed. "When I was a little kid and I started to water bend… Playing with the water. I was spotted by the fire nation." her eyes watered. "Because I was spotted they came to our village. They demanded the last water bender…. My mother lied. She told them the last water bender was her. And they killed her… I was right outside the tent and I could easily hear her scream. As the soldiers had left, I stepped inside of the tent… And I saw her charred body right at my feet." then she looked up at Pakku.

Pakku didn't move a single face muscle, his blue eyes remained unchanged.

"Will you still call me a little girl?" Katara asked.

Then Pakku's eyes broke away and finally he replied in a low voice. "No."

"Everyone here has lived through more hardships than any of the young boys being trained in this tribe," Aang commented seriously. "We've been fighting a war. For the sake of everyone. For the sake of your tribe too… And we have all been disrespected while being here. Treated like little children. I don't think that's okay. Do you?"

Pakku sighed deeply. "I miss judged," he said. "I forgot myself and the truth of our situation… You are not children. I'm..." he halted for a long while. "Sorry. Forgive me." and he bowed his head for all of them.

Everyone was gaping. Their eyes were nearly popping out of their sockets. Had they just heard?

Then Pakku lifted his head again. He gently picked up the teacup and drank the rest of its contents before putting the cup back down and he glanced up at them all. "If you would allow me another chance. Meet me at sunrise. I will teach you water bending."

Aang blinked. "You'll still teach me?" he asked.

"And her." Pakku pointed at Katara and Katara's eyes widened.

"What?" Katara asked.

"Your potential is incredible," Pakku said. "You say you never had a teacher? I can't in good conscious let such talent go to waste." then he stood up, and bowed slightly. "Thank you for the tea. I'll see you tomorrow. Young Katara, Avatar Aang." he nodded at the both of them. "Please don't be late."

And then he turned as he walked towards the door, opened the door, and left, closing the door behind him.

There was stunned silence behind him. Complete and utter stunned silence.

"What was that?!" Sokka shouted. "What just happened?!… I… I don't."

"I mean." Aang blinked. "I guess we'll be learning water bending so… That's great!"

Katara blinked then looked down at the necklace in her hand. Then determined she looked up as she put her necklace back on. "Yes! Let's not waste this chance! I will spend every second I get to learn this!"

"You got this Katara! I know you do!" Aang exclaimed.

"Kick the butt out of this water bending business for me too!" Mai asked and Katara nodded.

No one was sure just how it had happened. But the important part was that it did.

Aang and Katara were going to learn water bending!

Chapter Text

"The key to water bending." Pakku was instructing his students. "Is flow. Water is always flowing. It doesn't just stop and it doesn't just suddenly start. You need to build a flow…. And then as you manipulate you must know where this flow leads."

Katara's eyes widened as her mouth was a big wide 'O'

"Your body must continue flowing. You must feel your weight constantly flowing from left, to right, and back to left. Follow my movements. And feel the constant flowing of weight."

And Katara took a stance as she started to copy Pakku as well as she could together with all of the other students.

The lesson went on, two hours of practice. A break. And one additional hour.

And then Pakku made a formal bow for all the students and they bowed back, all to return to various duties and other educations across the city for the rest of the day.

And Katara stood in the middle of the training grounds, repeating the stances. Again and again.

Aang blinked. "Urh… Today's training session is over. Everyone is leaving." he commented.

"I know," Katara replied as she repeated her stances.

"You want to see what Sokka and the others might be doing?" Aang asked.

"No thank you," Katara replied.

"Oh… Okay." Aang blinked. "See you later then." and then he left… And there was only Katara.

In the afternoon Pakku inspected the training grounds and then had to stop astounded as there was one lone water bender there. Practicing all the stances. He blinked as he looked at her.

And Katara practiced.

"Katara!" Pakku suddenly shouted and Katara halted as she looked up. "Your arms. A little lower," he said.

"Like this." Katara adjusted them.

"Exactly." Pakku nodded and finally moved on.

The next morning regular practice started and Katara… Had completely mastered yesterday's set.

Everyone blinked as they astounded looked at her.

"How?" A boy asked. "We were only shown that yesterday. Did she already know?"

"She practiced," Pakku informed as he hit the boy over the head with a scroll. "All the talent in the world matters nothing if you don't practice. Lorak! You could learn a thing or two from her."

And as everyone left the practice ground again three and a half hours later… Once again Katara remained and practiced.

And once again she had mastered her forms by the next training session… And as people left. Katara stayed.

She was standing practicing her stances just as Pakku approached her. "Katara. Stop."

"I can do this!" Katara exclaimed.

"I am aware," Pakku said. "But you are going to exhaust yourself if you keep this up. Your body needs rest. Here." he pulled out a scroll and handed it to Katara. "Study this for today. Tomorrow after regular class is done we will practice this more advanced technique."

Katara gasped as she accepted the scroll and opened it up to true enough see a water bending technique being described.

"You are going to rest for the rest of today," Pakku informed. "That's an order. You can continue your practice tomorrow."

And Katara beamed, then bowed for Pakku and finally ran off.

And the next day. Pakku did exactly what he had promised and stayed behind with Katara to give her that private lesson.

"Normally only someone who has been under my tutelage for at least three years will be allowed to attempt this," Pakku informed. "However I trust you have the discipline and diligence required. That being said… Do not expect that you can just learn this one in a day. You might not even master it at all before it is time for you to move on."

"I know." Katara sighed. "I know I won't be able to learn everything before we'll have to leave," she said with regret in her voice. Then looked up. "But that's exactly why I want to learn as much as I can in the little time I have! I will not waste a single second!"

Pakku looked at Katara. "I have been teaching students for fifty years," he revealed. "I can safely say I never had a student quite like you Katara."

Katara smirked. "Well for one I'm the first girl you ever taught aren't I?"

"Watch it," Pakku replied in a dry tone. Then sighed. "And that's not it. No one else has… Quite appreciated water bending to this extent before."

"They take it for granted," Katara commented sadly. "It's all around them and they have plenty of teaching options…. I had to fight to even get here. To the north pole. Actually, for a long time, I thought I would never get any opportunity. So now that I have it. I will not waste it."

Pakku sighed. "Young Katara I…" he halted. "I fear my former apology was lackluster," he said. "So I want to say it again. Katara… I apologize." he bowed his head for her. "For the way I treated you and the ignorance I showed your tribe and the hardships you all must have gone through," he said. "It is an honor to be your teacher. So little time and already you have made me so proud. You are a remarkable student. And I was a fool for denying you the chance."

Katara smiled lightly. "I accept your apology master Pakku," she said. "And thank you. For teaching me. And taking me seriously. I know I am young and I know my knowledge of water bending until now has been so limited. But you have allowed me to grow. I will be looking so much forward to showing my tribe what I have learned! And tell them all of my amazing teacher who taught me."

Pakku smiled a genuinely soft smile. "You honor me. Katara," he said.

Katara smiled in return.

"Now!" Pakku stated. "Let's start the lesson!" and Katara grinned.

 


 

"I tell you it was crazy," Sokka informed loudly. "King Bumi just lifted this rock with his bare hands! It was the size of one of your snow huts I swear! And he threw it."

Yue gaped. "Wow. That sounds incredible."

"Who would have thought that crazy old king was such a strong earth bender." Sokka blinked. "With hairy armpits and everything."

At that Yue just burst out laughing. She laughed and then suddenly a snort escaped her nose. "Oh dear!" Yue gasped shocked over her own snort. "I'm so sorry!"

"Sorry for what? That was funny." Sokka grinned. "And cute."

"Still. As a princess, I should be in better control of myself." Yue said inhaling deeply and exhaling. "The people look to me to set a good example."

"Hey. There's no one here but us." Sokka pointed out. "And you have a wonderful laughter. I am… Really glad I can make you laugh."

Yue blushed as she looked away. "I can't remember ever having laughed like this," she admitted then looked up at Sokka. "Tell me about Kyoshi island again! And those warrior women."

Sokka chuckled. "Sure."

"I wish I could see it." Yue sighed. "I wish I could see everything you have been talking about."

Sokka looked at her. "I mean… Why not?" he asked. "The world is big. You should go see it."

Yue shook her head. "We don't leave the north pole. No one does. Here it's safe. And I especially can't put myself at risk. I am the future of my people after all."

"Hey. Your dad is a strong and pretty young guy. He got plenty of years left as a strong leader. I'm sure they'll be fine with you going out there to explore for a while. Beside. I would keep you safe!" Sokka stated.

Yue shook her head amused. Then glanced up. "Tell me… About the fortune teller again."

"Urgh that old hag?" Sokka asked.

Yue looked at him with pleading eyes.

"Fine! But only for you." Sokka said and Yue beamed happily.

 


 

Zuko hesitated slightly as he stood outside the healer's hut, then finally cleared his throat and walked in to see a group of women sitting with what looked like practice dummies having a lesson. "Erhm… Hi." he tried.

Shocked all the women turned to him.

The oldest woman blinked. "Can we help you young man?" she asked.

"Are you hurt?" Another one asked.

"No. I'm not." Zuko assured. "I was just wondering… Can I observe your lesson for a while?" he asked.

Everyone just looked blankly at Zuko.

"But…" a young woman commented. "You're not a bender."

"And you are a guy." Another said.

"I just wanted to observe. I am… Curious." Zuko admitted. Then frowned. "I have to admit… I really don't get it at all. All that 'men fight women heal' stuff."

The old woman looked amused at Zuko. "And why is that?"

"Well." Zuko crossed his arms. "The guys will be out fighting in the field right?" he asked. "So… What if a guy gets hurt on the field? That happens all the time. Wouldn't it be pretty good if the other guys also on the field knew basic healing?" he asked. "I mean stopping the bleeding quick could be the only difference between life and death."

There was stunned silence.

"And," Zuko commented. "Imagine all the guys being out there fighting. So… There are only female benders left here in the city. What if the fire nation attacks deliberately while the city is at its most vulnerable? Wouldn't it be pretty good if the women knew at least basic defense?" he asked as he held a hand towards his forehead. "I mean the fire nation has done that sort of tactic before. Making a fake force to draw all the best warriors out leaving the cities vulnerable and then attack with the real troops." 

Somehow the stunned silence seemed even thicker now and they all looked at Zuko.

"So-Sorry. I was just thinking." Zuko nervously shifted on his feet.

"I…" The old woman halted. "I think that I have a few things to discuss with master Pakku and chief Arnook this afternoon. Ahem." she coughed into her hand. "Well young man. I have no idea what you think you will get out of observing. But you are welcome to do so." she said.

"Thank you." Zuko bowed politely. "Oh! My name is Lee!"

The old woman smiled amused. "I'm Yagoda," she said amused. "Well met Lee of the earth kingdom."

"Heh." Zuko blushed deeply. "Erhm… I'll just sit here. If that's okay," he said as he sat down on the spot with crossed legs. 

Yagoda shook her head. "If you are to observe it would be a shame if you can't even see wouldn't it?" she asked. "Come over here with the others."

Zuko kept blushing but crawled forward. "Thank you," he whispered again and the women all chuckled.

"Are all earth kingdom men this nice and polite?" A woman finally asked. "I think I shall have to move there if that's the case! I think our men could learn a thing or two."

"Oh… erhm." Zuko hesitated. "I'm not… Sure. What I mean is. My uncle always taught me that I need to be polite to strangers." he said. And all the girls were smiling amused at him. Zuko blinked confused and then the girls chuckled. 

Yagoda shook her head. "Let's continue with the lesson. If you all please," she asked and the women nodded.

And then, the lesson continued as Zuko listened interestedly.

Chapter Text

As far as Sokka was concerned.

This past week had been his ideal week!

Every morning Sokka went to the training grounds where he got to learn how to be a better warrior, and he got to show off the skills he already had to all the other boys there.

Even before they started Sokka was just far better than anyone else here his own age and he loved to revel in that fact.

Sometimes Sokka also managed to squeeze an extra lesson in where Mai would give him tips and tricks. Zuko tended to spend his mornings somewhere else. Sokka wasn't really sure where the fire Prince was.

And then in the afternoons…. Sokka got to spend his time with Yue.

Yue.

Sokka smiled happily. They would walk around the north pole, their excuse being that Yue as a princess was obligated to show her guests the entire place.

And they would talk about…. Anything!

Yue would talk about the north pole and her life here as a princess. She would talk about the different people and different books she had read.

And Sokka would tell about the south pole, compare what things were different and what was the same. He would tell about the things he had seen in the world. The people back home.

And then they would joke. And they would laugh and only too soon would Sokka realize it had gotten late and he needed to go back to the hut.

But it was okay… because the next morning his ideal day would repeat itself and Sokka sighed deeply.

He hoped this time would never end.

That night Yue had asked to meet at the bridge. It was their usual meeting spot and Sokka was all smiles as he neared the place.

He had a good feeling about today. Yesterday there had been a moment, a moment where they had almost kissed.

Sokka was ashamed to say he had chickened out the last moment but. Yue had still said they should meet again tonight sooooo… Sokka would not chicken out like that a second time!

Maybe… just maybe. Tonight would be the night. And Sokka could feel the heat rushing to his head by the idea.

Sokka checked his breath again. Making sure it smelled nice and minty. He had made sure not to eat anything foul-smelling today! No pickled items for for Sokka today! Nope!

Then finally Sokka reached the bridge and there she was… Yue.

Standing in the moonlight making her look outright ethereal as she stood there with a bowed head and her beautiful white hair falling down her back and shoulders.

"YUE!" Sokka beamed as he ran towards her. "Yue! Hey! Great seeing you! Where are we going today?"

Yue didn't reply. She kept standing with her bowed head.

"Yue." Sokka blinked. "Is everything okay?"

Yue closed her eyes and Sokka blinked.

"Did something happen?" Sokka asked.

"Sokka," Yue whispered. "I… I owe you an apology. I have been awful to you. Simply awful."

Sokka blinked. "What?" he asked. "What do you mean? You have only ever been nice to me!"

Yue's eyes squinted. "I have been leading you on. That's an awful thing to do! I'm so sorry."

Sokka's eyes widened. "Oh."

There was silence.

"So what you're saying is." Sokka swallowed as his heart faltered. "You don't actually like me that way."

At that Yue swallowed, her eyes started to water.

"Look! It.. It's okay." Sokka gasped, though he felt his own eyes welling up as his chest tore itself apart. "I.. I mean. You're a princess. And I'm just… a peasant from the south when you come down to it. Of course you can do better. And I am just… I am just… honored you would spend time with me at all."

"That's not it!" Yue exclaimed as her eyes opened. "I do like you! These last few days they have been. So good!" she swallowed. "With you I… I could try being myself if only for a while. And I felt happy and I… And I'm so afraid that if we continue this I might end up doing something stupid! Something… I can't take back. And that can't happen! It mustn't."

"Wait… hold on." Sokka held up a hand. "You're afraid you'll… Do something?" he asked. "I mean I won't mind… Like at all. That would be like… The best thing to ever happen to me."

Yue couldn't help it as she turned her head away but still smiled amused. And then she swallowed as she wiped her eyes. And she turned back to Sokka.

For a moment their eyes met. Yue's eyes were filled with tears and Sokka. He looked at her with such honesty and then…

Yue rushed forward and placed her lips on Sokka's.

Sokka's eyes widened and then, he relaxed as he leaned into the kiss sighing deeply, warmth filling his entire body and Yue stood back. Tears now streaming down her face.

"I'm so sorry," Yue whispered. "That was awful."

"No it was great," Sokka replied honestly.

"Sokka I…" Yue swallowed and then pulled down in the neck of her dress to reveal her neck and a necklace very similar to Katara's. "I'm engaged."

Sokka's eyes widened. "What?" he asked as all his veins seemed to freeze to ice.

"I was arranged into marriage when I was small." Yue sniffed. "And my marriage determines the future of my entire tribe. So that's why… That's why." her voice broke. "I can't be so selfish. I am so… so sorry! What I have done it's… Unforgivable. We have to stop… And it has to be now. I don't know what I might do if we continue this."

"But… Yue." Sokka tried.

"No." Yue shook her head. "I'm so sorry." and then she turned around. "Goodbye Sokka." and then she ran, as fast as she could she ran.

"Hey.. Yue… YUE WAIT!" Sokka screamed as he ran after her.

But Yue kept running down the pathways.

"YUE!" Sokka shouted. "YUE! Let's talk at least! Yue we can…"   *Splash*

Sokka should have been watching where he had been running. He had fallen straight into the water of the icy channels and as Sokka finally managed to get his head back up…. Yue was long gone.

And Sokka yelled. "ARGH! Stupid Sokka. Stupid!" he slammed his hand into the waters.

 


 

As Sokka returned to his snow hut he was shaking all over his body, the water drenching his clothes had already turned to ice and there was a white layer all around him.

And the moment Sokka stepped inside Katara screamed.

"SOKKA!"

At once his sister was all over him. "Tui and La! You're wet! In the arctic! Get out of those clothes now!" Katara yelled as she pulled Sokka's parka off for him.

Didn't really help. Sokka was still shaking all over and the rest in the hut were looking at him.

Aang, Mai, and Zuko. They were all there.

"His lips are purple," Mai commented. "That's not very good is it?"

"No, it's not!" Katara shouted. "There's a good chance he already has hypothermia!" she shouted as she started to check over his body. "You idiot!"

"Can't you heal that?" Aang asked.

"No." Katara seethed as Sokka was now stripped down to only his underwear. "Water bending by its nature can only cool things down. It's useless against hypothermia which happens because the body is too cold!"

At that Zuko blinked. Slowly he stood up and walked over to Sokka. He hesitated for a little bit and then put a flat hand against Sokka's back.

The next second it was like soft waves of warmth just spread out through Sokka's body. It was like it all came from the inside. In warm waves, going to the rest of his body. His poor numb fingers, his feet, the tips of his ears.

And the next second Sokka just felt warm and soft as butter as Zuko removed his hand.

"Wow." Sokka breathed in a satiesfied tone. "That felt good."

Katara blinked as she turned to Zuko. "What did you do?" she asked.

"I erh… Used his chi paths to warm up his body from the inside." Zuko informed.

There was stunned silence.

"I didn't know you could do that," Aang said.

"Honestly… Neither did I," Zuko admitted. "Is… Is he okay?" he asked as Sokka sank down now laying down on the floor next to the fire.

Katara hesitated. Then lifted her hands and made a glowing water glove. Ran it up and down Sokka's body and then stopped. "You just cured his hypothermia so… yeah. He just needs to sleep now."

"That's a relief." Zuko sighed deeply.

"Come on Sokka. You need to get to bed." Katara said as she grabbed Sokka's arm and got him back up. "You are lucky Zuko was here and could do that. That could have been really dangerous…. How do you feel?" she asked.

"Toasty." Sokka smiled. "But in a really good sort of way," he informed as Katara got him down on his bed and pulled up a blanket to tug Sokka in.

"I had no idea Fire bending could even do that." Aang then said.

"Well… erh… neither did I." Zuko then admitted. "I just you know… I have been studying what the water bending healers were doing and just sort of… Tried."

"I'm glad you did. Thank you, Zuko." Katara smiled. "I think you just saved my brother from a really bad illness."

Sokka swallowed. "He shouldn't have. My life is over anyway." he sniffed.

Katara frowned. "You shouldn't talk like that. And what do you mean your life is over anyway?"

"Yue." Sokka swallowed. "Yue is engaged. It's an arranged engagement since she was a little kid. So she told me we can't see each other anymore."

There was silence.

"Oh." Katara finally managed to say. Then she frowned. "So basically Yue broke up with you and you threw yourself into the river?"

"No," Sokka muttered. "I… was running after her but didn't see where I was going so I sort of… Fell."

Katara groaned. "Well, at least you weren't actively trying to kill yourself."

"Arranged marriage?" Mai asked. "Why aren't I even surprised. Of course they have that here too," he muttered.

Zuko sighed deeply.

"What?" Aang asked.

"Arranged marriage is pretty much how it works between fire nation nobility," Zuko said. "All royals are subject to arranged marriages. My father and mother were in an arranged marriage. always assumed that one day a marriage would be arranged for me too. And Mai."

"My dad was practically trying to marry me away to the highest bidder," Mai muttered. "He had several prospects in mind but was considering carefully which one would give him the most influence in the long run. It was never about my happiness. It was only about his status."

Zuko nodded as he sat down next to Mai. "Yeah… So we decided to run away together."

Sokka sighed deeply. "I doubt Yue would run away with me," he muttered. "She… She cares too much about her people. She said it herself… She can't be selfish."

Mai snorted. "If I was her I wouldn't care. I mean… Why should she?"

"Well Mai," Sokka commented dryly. "You are not really nearly as selfless as she is. You're pretty selfish."

Mai spluttered. "I am not." and she halted. Then she huffed. "So what?!" she asked. "What did the world ever do for me! I am allowed to be selfish!"

Zuko blinked as he looked at her.

"Shut up," Mai muttered as she looked away.

Then Zuko sighed deeply. "Maybe Sokka just needs to get some sleep. I am sure things will look better tomorrow." he smiled awkwardly. Then his smile faltered. "Hopefully," he added under his breath.

Chapter Text

The next day Sokka was wallowing in misery.

He just didn't have it in him to give it his all on the training grounds and thus got walloped… Hahn especially took great joy in getting hits in on him.

And yet… Sokka couldn't even muster a sense of caring.

Out of habit, Sokka went to the bridge in the afternoon. But there was no Yue there. So Sokka decided to return to his hut and eat seal jerky until his stomach was ready to burst.

The day after, Sokka felt a little bit better. But still terrible. Same the third day and that's when Sokka realized. He hadn't seen Yue anywhere these last three days.

It made it tug in Sokka's chest and shame filled him. How could he have been so selfish? This was probably as hard for her as it was for him!

Normally she would take walks around town to check on the citizens and talk to a few people to see what was going on. But he hadn't seen as much as a hair of Yue since that night on the bridge.

It made Sokka nervous, and suddenly his own misery was forgotten as he headed into the palace.

The throne room was empty and so was the big banquet hall… Could Sokka ask where Yue's room was?

No! That would be inappropriate!

Sokka glanced at the running water at his feet which had been used for the water bending show doing the banquet, the evening they had first arrived.

Without thinking, Sokka followed the streams into a different and then halted.

There was an icy fountain. And sitting on the edge of the fountain.

"Yue," Sokka whispered.

Yue gasped and then she looked up. Shocked and surprised looking at Sokka.

"Sokka?" She asked. "What are you doing here?"

Sokka swallowed. "I haven't seen you the last couple of days. I was worried about you… Are you okay?"

Yue blinked then looked down. Sadness on her face. "I'm okay," she whispered. "You should probably go."

Sokka sighed deeply. "Look… Yue." he tried. "It won't be long before we have to leave. Aang needs to learn all four elements before summer. So we have to find an earth bending teacher and… Pretty soon. So I'll be leaving the north pole. You won't really have to worry about that."

At that Yue's eyes watered and she shook.

"Until then though." Sokka hesitated. "It looks like you could use a friend."

Yue blinked. And then she looked up at Sokka with surprise in her eyes.

"I want to make sure you're okay," Sokka said. "Is that okay with you?"

For a moment Yue looked at Sokka and then she nodded. "I would like that."

Sokka smiled a little sadly. "Okay. That's good. Come on let's get you out of here. You need to get out of this palace." he offered her a hand. "Oh! Sorry!" he retrieved his hand. Then put his hands behind his back. "Just as friends!" he proclaimed.

Yue smiled a little amused and a little sadly but stood up and then walked over to Sokka standing next to him.

Sokka sighed. "Come on then."

 


 

As the two walked into town it was awkward. Normally they could talk so easily to each other. About everything.

But right now they could barely look at each other.

And Yue just looked sad… Really sad.

Sokka frowned. He had to figure a way to cheer Yue up! She didn't deserve this. Then suddenly he brightened up. "I got it!" he exclaimed.

Yue jumped in surprise. "Sokka?" she asked.

"How would you like a ride." Sokka paused for dramatic effect and then grinned. "ON A FLYING BISON!"

Yue's eyes widened and she gasped. "Can I?" she asked.

"Of course you can!" Sokka beamed. "Appa needs the exercise anyway!"

"Oh that would be wonderful!" Yue just brightened up. Then she halted. "Is it safe though? If I get hurt my father will flip out!"

"I promise it's safe! Appa won't let anything happen to you. And neither will I." Sokka grinned as he walked backward and gestured with his hand. "Come on this way!" he beamed and Yue smiled as she ran after him.

 


 

Nervously Yue was sitting in the big saddle. With bated breath, she looked up at Sokka who was in the front holding the reigns.

And Sokka grinned as he turned his head flashing a smile at Yue. "You ready?" he asked.

Yue nodded.

"Okay then." Sokka turned forward. "Yip…. Yip."

And then suddenly Appa just leaped and they were flying!

Yue screamed in surprise as the tickle went through her tummy and then she gasped.

"It's okay! Nothing will happen to you!" Sokka shouted over the wind and wide-eyed Yue glanced up and slowly she crawled towards the edge of the saddle and looked down and then she gasped.

"We're flying…" Yue gasped. "WE'RE ACTUALLY FLYING!" she laughed.

"I know. It's pretty wild the first time." Sokka smirked.

"There's the healing huts!" Yue laughed as she pointed. "And the fisherman's house." she chuckled as they flew across the city. "SOKKA LOOK! That's Katara practicing! Tui and La it looks like Pakku is giving her a private lesson."

"Yeah apparently he has been doing that a lot after everyone else has left after regular training," Sokka commented. "It's kind of weird…. Suddenly they are best friends."

"I think it's wonderful. Things really can change." Yue smiled and then she halted as she looked at Sokka sitting in front and slowly… Slowly she crawled forward until she almost reached Sokka.

Only for Appa to make a surprise move and Yue shouted in surprise as she fell directly into Sokka.

"Woah careful there." Sokka grabbed Yue and then smiled. "Sit down. Here." he gestured next to himself. "This is where the best view is."

Yue blushed deeply but finally sat down next to Sokka, crossing her legs like he did and she looked down as Appa slowed down and they were more like floating high in the air.

"Wow." Yue breathed. "To think… Up here there's no one who can hear what we are saying. And no one can tell us what to do?" she asked. "I wonder if this is what it feels like to be free," she commented.

Sokka halted as he glanced at Yue.

"I wish we could just stay up here." Yue sighed deeply. "Forever." and then she leaned up against Sokka.

Sokka was sitting absolutely still. Not reacting to Yue now clearly learning up against him and he shook his head. "Well… We don't have to get down for a while," he said and Appa now flew over the icy walls of the north pole and casually floated over the ocean.

Now they were out of sight from anyone in the tribe and Sokka dared to wrap an arm around Yue's shoulders… You know. Just to make sure she wouldn't freeze.

And Yue sighed satisfied as she leaned against Sokka.

For a while they were just like that… enjoying the calm. The freedom. The moment.

Then suddenly Yue blinked and she looked forward, she held out a hand and blinked. "What?" she asked.

Sokka blinked as he looked at Yue's hand and saw a little piece of black and then he looked up to see it… Black. Slowly falling down with the white. Miss coloring the pure glaciers beneath them and Sokka.

Sokka felt a complete horror just take over his body. "No." he shook. "It can't be…"

"What is this?" Yue asked scared as she looked around and then moved closer to Sokka.

"It's… The black snow." Sokka's voice broke as he couldn't stop himself from shaking and his eyes water. "When the black snow falls that means… That means."

"What Sokka?" Yue asked wide-eyed.

"Fire nation," Sokka whispered and Yue's eyes widened.

"APPA!" Sokka shouted. "Yip yip! Move further up and continue forward!"

And the bison did as asked as they suddenly moved with incredible until finally they stopped and Sokka gasped.

It was what he already knew. Fire nation ships… But never had he thought there would be so many of them. They just continued on and on in multiple rows stretching towards the horizon.

"What… What do they want?" Yue asked frightened.

Sokka swallowed. "The aim of the fire nation always was to take the entire world." he gasped. Then his eyes hardened, his mouth became thin and his eyes harsh. "And they keep thinking they can get away with it. Appa! Hurry back!" she exclaimed. "We have to warn your tribe. We'll make a defense and I will not let the fire nation destroy your home too! One time has to be enough! Yip yip!"

And Appa turned around and zoomed back towards the tribe while Yue clung to Sokka's arm, tears welling up in her eyes.

Sokka's horror though had already turned to anger. He would keep his promise! He would not let the fire nation get away with this.

Chapter Text

As Appa flew as fast as he could to take Sokka and Yue back to the north pole town, they were met by a little yellow bullet just as they rushed over the walls.

"Woah! Hi Sokka. Hi Yue." Aang blinked as he landed on Appa's saddle. "You took Appa for some fresh air? That's nice of you but… He doesn't like going so fast if he can avoid it."

"Aang there's no time!" Sokka exclaimed. "Tell everyone to meet us in the palace throne room."

"Huh?" Aang blinked.

"Just do it!" Sokka said.

"Oh… Okay. Everyone?" Aang asked.

"Yes, everyone!" Sokka said. "Especially Chief Arnook."

"Okay then." Aang spread out his glider. "See you in the throne room then," he said as he jumped down and flew away at high speed allowing Appa to aim for the big stables where he could finally land.

 


 

Carefully Sokka helped Yue down so she wouldn't fall and then finally headed towards the palace at a fast pace.

As soon as they were there, people were already gathering looking confused, and then came Katara.

"SOKKA!" Katara shouted. "Aang said everyone needed to meet here."

"What's going on?" Now Zuko came running with Mai in tow blinking confused.

"I'll tell you all when Chief Arnook is here too!" Sokka gasped.

"I am here." Sokka turned to see Chief Arnook himself walking towards them together with Pakku and Aang who wide-eyed looked at Sokka.

Arnook stopped not far from Sokka and frowned. "Now what is it that have you commanding the chief of the north pole around?"

"Fire nation!" Sokka exclaimed. "The fire nation is coming! Yue and I were out flying on Appa and we saw! It's a fleet coming this way!"

For a moment there was silence. And then suddenly someone chuckled. And that made other people chuckle. And then they laughed.

"This is nothing to laugh about!" Sokka exclaimed. "You are going to get attacked! And soon!"

"The fire nation can't penetrate our walls idiot." Hahn suddenly pointed out in a laugh. "What do they intend to do? Throw their fireballs at our walls that water benders can just rebuild. They would need several hundred ships to break through."

Sokka's mouth thinned. "They know that," he said. "That's why there are definitely over a thousand ships out there."

There was stunned silence.

"That can't be true!" Hahn exclaimed. "How can they even have that many ships."

"You may think the north pole and the fire nation is about the same size." Sokka commented dryly. "But I can assure you. The fire nation is far bigger than you and has far more people. It's possible."

Hahn was just about to open his mouth.

"Silence!" Arnook exclaimed and Hahn surprisingly did and then moved backward. Then Arnook looked at Sokka. "That's quite a tale to tell," he said.

"It's the truth father." Yue gasped as she stepped forward. "I saw it too! There were so many! Metal ships sailing in lines. And they are headed right for us!"

"Are they mad?" Pakku gasped. "Do they realize that even if they are successful we have the advantage! We are water benders in our own element. If they attack hundreds of fire nation soldiers will die."

"They don't care. Trust me." Zuko stated as he stepped forward. "The Fire nation leaders do not care how many soldiers they have to sacrifice as long as it gets them to their goal!" he exclaimed. "There are two places that have been considered impossible to conquer. Ba Sing Se and the Northern Water Tribe. However. The fire nation always intended to take both eventually so they will be the unquestioned authority. And they do not give a damn about how many lives that is going to take."

There was silence as all wide-eyed looked at Zuko. Mai in particular seemed to have gone a few shades paler than normal.

"They are attacking because I am here. Aren't they?" Aang asked. "What if I just left?"

"That won't work," Zuko said. "Yes, you being here is most likely their excuse. But now the fleet has been gathered. They will not leave until they have either won or been utterly defeated! The fire nations attacks are always direct and they won't change plans mid way through."

Arnook looked at Zuko. "You seem to know an awful lot about the fire nation young man."

Zuko took a deep breath as he stepped forward. Then pulled down the hood of his parka so everyone could see his face. And the golden eyes glistening in the sun. Then he held out a hand and suddenly. A flame erupted from his hand and people screamed as they fell back.

"ASH MAKER!" Hahn screamed. "Ash maker in our midst!"

"Quiet you, idiot!" Katara hissed hitting Hahn over the head. "He's on our side!"

"Yes," Zuko said as he put out the flame. "I have dedicated myself to helping the Avatar defeat the fire lord!" he said. "What the fire nation is doing is dishonorable and evil! I will no longer just stand by and let it happen to satisfy my fathers never ending hunger for power! It's wrong!"

There was stunned silence.

"Your father?" Arnook asked.

"I am Prince Zuko of the fire nation!" Zuko informed. "I spend my childhood studying to become a leader of the fire nation military! And spend three years on their ships! I know how the military and their ships work! I will tell you anything you need to know!"

Arnook frowned. "How can I trust you?" he asked.

"Trust me," Aang asked as he stepped next to Zuko. "Zuko has already saved my life. He has already taught me about fire bending. He has defended the earth kingdom and its citizens from fire nation cruelty. He is now wanted for treason by the fire nation. If they catch him they will kill him. He gave up everything to do the right thing."

Arnook was silent then looked for Pakku. Clearly asking for an opinion.

"We have no room to be suspicious," Pakku said. "Prince Zuko has been here for almost two weeks and has done no harm to anyone. The Avatar clearly trusts him and we need the information he has to offer! Our tribe must take priority!"

Arnook nodded. "We must make ready to defend. At once!" he exclaimed.

Zuko exhaled deeply and smiled. "Thank you sir." he nodded.

 


 

Mai had looked as the entire thing happened. She was pale, frozen like a statue. Her mouth a little open.

"Heh." Sokka grinned as he saw Zuko and Aang now talking to Arnook closer up. "Looks like Zuko has started to embrace his destiny."

Mai's lips thinned. "That's not what we agreed upon."

Sokka glanced at Mai. "Dude. If we are going to defeat the fire nation. We need him."

Mai seethed. "The world is not our problem."

Sokka did not look impressed. "Really? You're fine with just letting the world burn?"

"How many times do I need to tell you people? I don't care about the stupid world." Mai snorted. "Zuko and I. We were together. We were happy. Then the Avatar just pops out of nowhere and this happens! That's not fair!"

Sokka glared at Mai. "You know what's not fair?" he asked. "My tribe just minding its own business. And then suddenly the fire nation just shows up and kills my mother! For no reason!" he exclaimed. "Grow up Mai. Zuko doesn't belong to you.

Mai's eyes widened. And then she hissed as she turned around and just ran.

Yue gasped as she looked after the other girl. "You didn't have to do that Sokka."

Sokka groaned deeply holding his forehead. "Mai was never a fan of this entire thing to begin with. She always wanted for her and Zuko to go back to being alone together on the field," he revealed. "But like I said. We need Zuko. He has to become fire lord after we defeat his father. Of course we can't make him become fire Lord. It's a decision he must make for himself. So yeah. It's great to see he finally seems to be heading in that direction on his own." 

"So…" Yue breathed. "He must give up his life to safe the world."

"What. No! If he dies that would be bad!" Sokka exclaimed.

Yue looked at Sokka. "He'll lose the life he has now won't he?"

Sokka halted then sighed. "Yeah," he admitted. "But you know. Sometimes…. Sacrifices have to be made! For the sake of everyone who lives in this world."

Yue nodded thoughtfully.

Sokka sighed. "Don't think too much about it. We kind of have an invading force to worry about now. Mai can sort out her own shit on her own." and then he grumbled. "I swear. Sometimes it's like she doesn't want Zuko to become the best version of himself."

"Well…" Yue whispered. "Sometimes change is very scary. Because you have no idea where it might lead."

"I guess." Sokka shook his head.

Chapter Text

"LISTEN UP!" Sokka shouted loudly and clearly as he and Zuko were standing in front of a big group of water tribe warriors.

There were both boys Sokka's and Zuko's own age…. But also a lot of adults.

As it turned out the last attack on the north pole was 80 years ago. So no one below the age of 95 in this tribe had ever actually faced a fire bender in combat.

"The fire nation are going to attack and soon!" Sokka said. "Maybe we have only a day maybe a little more. But we need to use the time we have to be prepared! Zuko is an expert on fire nation military and fire bending combat! We must use this knowledge to our own advantage and turn any weakness they have against them."

Zuko nodded as he stepped forward. "Usually the fire nation's attacks are quick and direct," he said. "That also makes them very reckless. The commanders don't care about casualties. Not even among their own people. Which again leads to very powerful and direct attacks but reckless." he said. "When we defended the northern air temple we successfully managed to use this against them as the fire nation was indeed walking straight into our traps. The fire nation tends to be very impatient, so we ought to be patient. And the fire nation tends to act with pride to the point of foolishness so use that against them."

Suddenly Hahn snorted. "Tell me again why we are listening to this guy," he asked. "Not only is he an ash maker but he spends all his time doing women's work! I heard any time he's not spending in the healer's hut he is spending in the kitchen." and he laughed into his hand.

Zuko just looked blankly at Hahn. "My girlfriend could beat you up without a sweat." he pointed out. Then he smirked. "And she did."

That at once wiped the smile of Hahn's face and he sneered.

Zuko smiled a little amused. "You look like a volunteer. Good," he said. "I want you guys to attack me," he said. "Then at least you can get a feel for how fire benders fight."

And Hahn's sneer turned to a smile "I'll be glad to wipe that smile off your face."

Sokka…. Took five steps back to get away from Zuko.

"I want everyone to attack me," Zuko informed.

And Hahn's grin widened. "You heard him guys. He asked for a pile on. Let's give it to him. The North won't just be taken by a bunch of dishonorable ash makers."

The other boys looked a little nervously at each other as Zuko stood with his hands behind his back.

"I want you guys to take me down," Zuko said. "I am just one person. Just imagine. If you can't take me down. What chance will you have against an army of several thousand people."

And Hahn grinned. "He asked for it!" he exclaimed. "Come on then!" and then clearly having learned nothing at all. Hahn ran straight for Zuko.

The moment Hahn was in reach Zuko just grabbed Hahn's arm, used Hahn's momentum against him, and threw him down on the snow.

"Is that all you guys got?!" Zuko exclaimed. "I didn't even need to fire bend! I barely even moved!"

Then the other boys nervously looked at each other. But then they nodded and determination filled their faces as a whole group ran forward.

Only for Zuko to duck avoiding the first fist. Tripping someone else. Grabbing a third and threw him into two others. He made a kick finally using a bit of fire bending to send another one flying.

And now there were twelve or so water tribe boys laying in the snow all around Zuko while Zuko was still left standing.

"See!" Zuko exclaimed. "This is why you need to act smart!" he stated. "I'm not even a very good fire bender!"

"Ahem!" Sokka suddenly cleared his throat as he stepped forward. Grabbing Zuko's shoulder and pulled him away. Then turned him around so both Zuko and Sokka were standing with their backs to the rest a few feet away. "Zuko. Buddy… You really need to stop telling everybody you're a bad fire bender. It's very demoralizing."

Zuko blinked at Sokka. "It's true though"

"No it's not!" Sokka hissed. "Listen, dude. Ever since Katara, Aang and I left the south pole we have faced off against a lot of fire benders okay. And so far you have been the best one! By far! Zhao doesn't even nearly have the control you have!"

Zuko frowned clearly not believing it entirely. "I'm not that good." he insisted.

"Dude! When we fled Jeong Jeong's camp you covered us against about a hundred fire benders! Do you know how ridiculous that is?" Sokka said. "Even Jeong Jeong fully acknowledged you would be a better teacher than him!"

"Erhh... Isn't it more that he didn't want to do it and I just happened to be there." Zuko asked.

"No you idiot." Sokka hissed. "You were a far better teacher and everyone could see it! You really got to Aang and he didn't."

"Oh." Zuko blinked. "My sister is a way better fire bender than me though. She used to always beat me in the ring."

"I have my doubts about that. But whatever." Sokka said. "Even if that is true. It just means your sister is some sort of super prodigy and it's unfair to compare yourself to her cause…. You are better than most fire benders we met who are three times your age!" he said. "Dude what happened to you for you to have such a low opinion of yourself? Seriously?"

"Well erhm…" Zuko scratched his cheek. "I suppose… Maybe. It's because my father would always say that I am pathetic and an embarrassment to the fire nation. And when I got burned in the ring he said it was my own fault and I just needed to be a better fighter and a better fire bender."

Sokka looked at Zuko. "Really?" he asked.

Zuko looked at Sokka. "He said my sister was born lucky and I was lucky to be born."

There was a long stretch of silence.

"Okay… Your father. Who is the Fire Lord. And we established that he's a complete psychopath willing to sacrifice his own soldiers to murder innocent earth kingdom and water tribe citizens for no actual good reason." Sokka said. "Also he burned your face on a public stage and has now ordered Zhao to kill you. Who the fuck cares what he thinks! The guy is fucking insane! Clearly! What about your Uncle? You keep talking about him. What does he say?"

"Erhmm." Zuko frowned deeply. "That I need to master my basics and I am not ready for the most advanced sets."

"Hasn't he ever said anything good about your progress?" Sokka asked.

"Well." Zuko's frown deepened even more as the wheels seemed to be turning in his head. "He says I need to calm down… And not be so impatient. I am already far ahead of most people twice my age and I will learn everything in due time. I just need to have patience."

"See," Sokka said. "Your uncle says you're amazing. And who is it you're always talking about? My uncle this, my uncle that, my uncle is so clever, my uncle is so amazing! My uncle knows everything I swear. So listen to him. Geesh!"

Zuko blinked. "I never thought about it that way before," he said.

"That's why you have me around." Sokka padded Zuko on the chest. "So stop it okay? shesh." and then he grabbed the front of Zuko's parka. Straightened it out as if he was fixing Zuko's clothes for him. "So listen champ! You are an incredible fighter. You are a damn good fire bender. You have already shown great leadership skills. You got this!"

"I... erh... Thanks?" Zuko blinked confused. 

"Zuko... You got this. Understood?" Sokka asked. "I need you to say it to me! Tell me that you got it." 

"Erhm... yeah. Sure. I got this." Zuko replied just as confused. 

"Good!" Finally Sokka let go of Zuko's clothes. Then padded Zuko twice on the shoulder and turned back to the rest.

"OKAY! What Zuko just said isn't true!" Sokka shouted. "Zuko is basically a fire bending prodigy! You can expect the average fire nation soldier to be about half his level."

"That erhm." A boy swallowed. "That still sounds pretty bad."

"It is. If we try to fight them head on." Sokka admitted. "But like Zuko said. When we defended the northern air temple. We were only around 40 people fighting against hundreds of fire nation soldiers and we won! We won by playing it smart! Using the fire nation's key weaknesses against them. Use the elements they do not have. And of course. We got the Avatar on our side and that counts for something. We will not give up without a fight! We will not let the fire nation take the North pole!"

And they all nodded now looking determined.

"Great." Sokka grinned. "Let's go!"

Chapter Text

Yue had grown up being taught and raised to be the perfect Princess and in the future. The future wife of the water tribe chief. And hopefully one day. The mother of the chief after that.

The role of the wife and mother of a chief though was not to make any decisions. But to be a strong support always standing behind the chief.

She was to encourage morality among the people and stand strong as an inspiration. In the open she was to always support the orders of the chief and only question him in private so they could have a united front in the eyes of the people.

And for most of Yue's life the leaders of the North Pole had been pretty much agreeing on any major topic.

They were comfortable in their lives and whatever disagreements they had were always minor.

So Yue couldn't deny it actually felt outright refreshing to see Yagoda just chew Pakku out.

Yue was of course the perfect picture of a Princess. Sitting on her knees beside her father, and her face didn't give away any feelings like she had been taught.

Katara however who was sitting next to Pakku… Was one massive satisfied grin.

"It is my opinion," Yagoda said in a firm voice. "That with immediate effect Pakku's students must come to the healing huts and I will send my girls to the training grounds."

Pakku spluttered. "Is this really the time for this?" he asked. "We are about to get attacked!"

"That is exactly why we must do this now!" Yagoda exclaimed. "Your water benders have never been in any real combat before! It is very likely that people will get hurt out there and you will need people out on the field who knows how to do basic first aid and close up a wound! When someone is bleeding seconds can be the difference between life and death! Let me teach them to close open wounds at least! It will save lives!"

Pakku looked very dismayed. But he wasn't speaking which obviously meant that he didn't really have arguments against it. "Fine!" he said. "But I really don't have time to teach a bunch of beginners fighting techniques."

"Perhaps you should have thought of that before we were almost under attack," Yagoda commented. "Se now you are going to send all capable water benders and warriors to the front line. What if the fire nation soldiers breakt hrough? What if someone sneaks inside? My girls will be completely defenseless and if they get killed because they couldn't defend themselves. There will be no one to heal the severely injured after the battle. Wouldn't it be good if they at least knew self defense?"

Pakku opened his mouth as he held up a hand. But once again no argument came out and he grunted annoyed. "There's no time," he said.

"And who's fault is that?" Yagoda asked. "Send your students to my hut. Now. I'll send mine to your practice grounds and will start immediately."

Pakku groaned deeply as his eyes closed and he huffed. "There's no need to look so smug Katara," he stated.

"Who me?" Katara asked smiling a sweet smile at Pakku. "I never!"

"Does your influence know no bounds young woman?" Pakku asked.

"I didn't put this idea into Master Yagoda's head," Katara informed.

"It was Prince Zuko," Yagoda informed in a light huff. "He has spent his mornings in my hut observing my lessons. And I have to say. What an amazingly polite and gracious young man." she said. "So respectful of our craft and so humble. You could learn a thing or two. Pakku."

Pakku huffed clearly annoyed. "We've already been infiltrated haven't we?" he asked as he annoyed side glanced at Katara.

"Again. That one isn't my fault." Katara informed loudly holding up a hand. "But that doesn't change that Zuko is right." she grinned.

Now Yue had to hide her smile as she bowed her head to shield it… Then she hesitated. Both Yagoda and Katara. They spoke so freely of what their opinion was and what they felt.

Yagoda had outright already made the decision and Arnook hadn't even said anything yet.

Yue glanced at her father who looked stern as he looked at his little council.

"Maybe I made a mistake in the past." Pakku finally conceded. "But we just don't have the time right now!"

Arnook frowned as he crossed his arms. "This is a dilemma."

"What does Yue think?" Katara asked.

"Me?" Yue asked honestly surprised.

"Yeah… What's the point of you being here if you're not giving us your opinion?" Katara asked.

Yue's eyes widened. "Oh," she said. "Well… I…" she halted.

"It is not the role of the princess to govern. Her role is to be a support." Pakku informed.

"Well I would like to hear her opinion!" Katara stated. "Yue?"

"Oh." Yue held up a hand to her mouth as she nervously looked around herself at all the people now looking at her. Then Yue put her hand back on her knee as she cleared her throat and started to talk. "Well… I think our greatest priority must be to do what will protect the lives of our people. Whatever we can do to minimize damage and put our people the least at risk." she said. "It sounds to me that even though all we can do now is teaching the women the most basic of self defense and the men the most basic of healing… It is still worth it. To keep that wounded soldier alive until he is brought to the healing huts. And keep the healers safe until help arrives." she looked up. "No one is going to become a master healer or a master water bender in just one afternoon. But still even so little can be the difference between life and death. And that is what has to matter. Whatever is best for our people."

There was stunned silence as all looked at Yue.

Then Arnook cleared his throat. "Master Pakku. Master Yagoda." he addressed them. "What are you still doing here? I believe you are having a student exchange. Now!"

That startled both the older benders but then finally they stood up and bowed.

"Katara!" Pakku barged. "You wanted this. You're with me and you're going to help me teach these women the basics!"

"Sure!" Katara grinned as she hurried after Pakku.

"Princess Yue, would you mind terrible assisting me?" Yagoda asked. "My usual assistant will be at Pakku's training ground now after all."

"Not at all." Yue smiled as she stood up. Then offered her father a slight bow. "Father," she said.

"Daughter." Arnook bowed back and Yue smiled lightly then turned and took a step towards Yagoda.

"Yue!" Arnook suddenly called and Yue blinked as she turned her head to look at him.

For a moment Arnook looked up at Yue. Then he cleared his throat. "Good job," he said. "You did good."

At that Yue's eyes widened. Her mouth gasped in deep surprise and then. In a big warm smile, she bowed for her father again. "Thank you father!" she beamed then finally turned and had to run to catch up to Yagoda.

Chapter Text

Yue swallowed as she was holding a small knife in her hand. Tryingly she tried to thrust it. Only to startle herself and drop the knife so it fell down on the ground.

"Oh dear." Yue gasped.

Already the sun had set. The student exchange that only lasted one afternoon was over and Yue had snuck out this knife.

But she had no idea what to do with it and so Yue bit her lip.

An elegant figure came over the snow, soundless, and then stepped forward making Yue gasp.

At once Yue bowed down to grab the knife, then pointed it at the intruder as she shook. "Stay back! I got a weapon!"

Slowly the other figure stepped out into the light. Revealing herself to be a pale skilled young woman with pitch black hair and almost golden eyes. So unlike anyone at the water tribe.

The young woman glanced at Yue. "Look. Not to discourage you or anything. But when holding a knife like that. You are not much of a threat. Even if I didn't have a weapon myself."

Yue sighed as she relaxed. "Lady April." she breathed. "No… Your real name is Lady Mai. Is it not?" she asked.

The young woman nodded as she stepped forward. "Yes." then she glanced at Yue's hand holding the knife. "What are you doing?" she asked.

"I…" Yue gasped. "I should at least be able to defend myself. Right?" she asked.

"Yeah, you should. I mean that would just be common sense." Mai commented in a deadpan tone.

Yue swallowed. "Can you… Help me?" she asked.

Mai looked at Yue. "Probably not. We don't really have a lot of time," she commented and Yue's face faltered. "But knowing at least how to hold a knife is probably a good idea." and she stepped next to Yue and took the knife from her only to replace it in her hand. "Like this. So you don't drop it." she showed. "Now bend your knees a little. Stance is really important. Widen them a bit."

Yue nodded as she did what she was told.

"And of course what is most vital when wielding knives. Knowing where to hit!" Mai informed. "Don't aim for the chest. You'll be most likely to just bounce right off the ribs. Aim for the neck or if you can't reach the neck. The stomach. Those are the most vulnerable places."

Yue gasped shocked as she stepped back and looked at Mai. "I can't do that!" she exclaimed. "What if I killed someone."

Mai looked unimpressed. "If you're being seriously attacked it is either kill or be killed. You need to fight with what you got," she said then sighed. "Honestly this place. You're all so isolated," she commented in a short head shake. "Never even had a taste of the real world." 

Yue glanced down.

"Just imagine. A fire nation soldier three times your size coming right at you." Mai said. "You must go for the vulnerable spot."

"But." Yue tried.

"Listen… In our eyes, your tribe is a little backward in many regards. But there are some things that are true." Mai said. "If you were to become the strongest woman in the world. You would still be weaker than the strongest man in the world. When it comes to pure muscle,  size, weight, upper body strength. Men have an advantage. That's just how it is."

Yue gulped.

"That's why we women have to find other ways to defend ourselves!" Mai said. "Especially for the none-benders! Maybe our muscles can never become as big as theirs. But we can be quick and precise! We can be smart and fight in other ways. What use will it be for a guy to have all the muscle in the world if he can't even hit me? And all I need to do is get to his neck one time and it's over! Be capable and be smart. That's the secret…. It isn't easy. Women often have to train twice as hard as men just to get to the same level. And when it's war no one cares if you're a man or a woman. It's kill or be killed. So just make sure you're not the one to die."

Yue swallowed as she held her knife close. "You're… Incredible." she whispered. "You had to work so hard. And you're… Just as strong as any man here."

"Because I worked hard. That's the mistake many make. They get lazy. Hahn is a joke. He never had to fight for anything! I did. That's the difference." Mai stated as she turned around so her back was to Yue "I never wanted anyone to control me! No matter who they were."

"Not even Prince Zuko?" Yue asked.

Suddenly Mai froze. She just stood with her back to Yue.

"He is your fiance right?" Yue asked. "And your Prince."

Mai fumed and Yue swallowed. 

"So..." Yue hesitated. "You will not be controlled by him. That's what you said right? I suppose that means you are not allowed to control him either... Though it sort of seems like you..."  

"Quiet!" Mai demanded and Yue froze. Then Mai straightened up, her cat like eyes seemed to almost shine in the dark. Reflected by the moon.  "No one controls me... And him? He can't be controlled. His father sure tried. Didn't work out." she shrugged. "That guy will keep acting before he thinks. Like Zuko says... He's a terrible soldier. He can't follow orders even when he wants to." 

"Wow..." Yue breathed. "You two really are... Nothing like anyone here."

Mai sighed deeply as she lowered her head. Then lifted it again and turned to Yue. "I must admit I really don't get you. You're just accepting your father's arranged marriage? And living your life as a pretty little doll?" she asked as she finally turned back to face Yue.

"What else can I do?" Yue asked.

Mai shrugged. "Run away. That's what I did."

Yue hesitated. "That does sound tempting," she admitted. "Running away with you guys… With Sokka." and she glanced down.

"See. Easy." Mai commented.

"No, it's not." Yue shook his head. "I am needed here. My people need me… I… I wish I could just run away. All the things Sokka told me about. The world! It all sounds so amazing. And there's so much to learn." she swallowed. "I wish… I wish I could see every last bit of it."

"Seems simple to me," Mai commented.

"Already a lot of changes are happening here at the north pole," Yue said. "People are confused and scared. I can't leave them."

"Geesh. All self sacrificing again." Mai snorted. "What is it with you people. You're just like Zuko." and she halted. Then she swallowed.

"Prince Zuko." Yue breathed. "You really love him… Don't you?" she asked. Then she smiled a little shyly. "I'm jealous…. You get to have a love like that."

"Jealous?" Mai asked as she glanced at Yue. "Don't be. I wouldn't wish this on anyone."

Yue blinked. "What do you mean?"

"Zuko?" Mai asked, then she laughed a weak laughter. "Do I love him? By Agni do I love him. I love him so much that it hurts!" she said. "It actually hurts!" she laughed a weird laughter. "He's my entire world. Do you understand? Everything I do. Every choice I make. My very thoughts!… It's all about him. If he died I wouldn't know what to do! I might actually kill myself." she seemed to almost laugh hysterically and tears escaped her eyes. "He's making me crazy! He's actually making me crazy!"  

Then Mai wiped her eyes and she hissed.

"I don't care about the world," Mai whispered. "I only care about Zuko. He's the only thing that matters to me. But that's not how he feels about me… He's going into battle tomorrow. He's going to risk his life for people he doesn't even know. And by the end of the day, there is nothing I can do to stop him… Because dammit. That's just who he is. Heh." she smirked. "Zuko the fucking idiot. Who has no reason to care about people he never met and is never going to meet. But he does… And I can't let go of him. I'm not strong. I am utterly pathetic."

Yue glanced away as she swallowed. "Then… If he wasn't that kind of person. If he was willing to let the world burn so he could be with you… Would he still be the man you love?"

Mai closed her eyes. "No," she whispered. "That's the irony of it." and she swallowed.

Yue was quiet for a while. "Maybe you should just have fate in him," she said. "Believe in him… He loves you. I've seen it. The way he looks at you."

Mai hissed as she squinted her eyes. "He's changing," she said. "He's becoming… Strong. And I'm not… What if he wakes up one day and realizes. I am not what he needs. I am not who he thinks I am." her lips thinned. Her hands becoming tight fists. "I am not like him... Or you... Or the avatar. I am not like any of you. I wish I could have your optimism your... belief in humanity. Heh." she smirked amused. "I envy your innocence." 

Yue looked at Mai with a defeated look in her eyes. "Prince Zuko has seen it all. Just like you... Hasn't he?" she asked. "And he has gotten hurt. And yet... he still seems to believe." 

"Yes," Mai whispered. "Unbelievable isn't it? With everything that happened to him. With everything he knows. And he's still just as innocent as you are. Princess Yue.... Unlike me." 

Yue held a breath. Then finally spoke. "He knows who and what you are," she assured then sighed. "You're lucky. You can have him! You have the man you love! All you need to do… Is compromise. Me? I don't even have that option."

"You could run away." Mai pointed out as she glanced up.

"No, I can't." Yue glanced down. "If I did… I could never live with myself. Lady Mai. Thank you for the lesson." she bowed for Mai with her knife. "And for your words of wisdom. I will consider them carefully."

Mai frowned deeply.

"I suppose we all have choices to make," Yue commented. "You have given me plenty of ways to consider mine. I suppose… You have to consider yours as well."

Mai glanced away and finally, Yue left.

And Mai was left alone. Her eyes closed as her hair swayed in the light wind.

Chapter Text

Like every early morning. Zuko woke as he felt the first small rays of sunlight peering up from the outside.

Here at the poles. It was very dark at night. Unlike the fire nation where it was barely ever truly dark. So that meant it would still be a while before it would be actually light outside.

Slowly Zuko lifted himself and saw the still frame of a young woman next to him. Her long black hair fanned down her pale white slender shoulders.

Her high delicate cheekbones looked soft here in the morning where her cheeks were painted rosy red from the cold air.

For a moment Zuko was stunned… Like he often was. Just how beautiful Mai was.

And how unbelievable it was… That she was his.

Slowly did Zuko lean down. And as gentle as he could he placed a small kiss on her cheek. Then whispered with the greatest sincerity. "I love you."

And then as quiet as Zuko could he stepped out from the bed. Made sure that Mai was still covered in the warm furs.

There was no way Zuko would let Mai freeze. She hated freezing.

Then Zuko pulled on his own parka and headed outside and boots before he headed outside. Once Zuko was outside he headed up the snowy hills. Up towards the highest point and looked towards the oceans.

A small line of white had appeared… The first rays of the sun. And then a small figure came flying in from the oceans.

Zuko looked up as the figure came closer and closer and then finally came downwards until one little monk landed right next to Zuko.

"Woah." Aang gasped. "You're up early Zuko," he commented.

"Fire benders rise with the sun." Zuko reminded Aang. "And besides. You're not one to speak."

"I…" Aang looked down. "I couldn't sleep… I wanted to see how close they were." he swallowed. "It's close."

Zuko sighed deeply. "Aang… You need to be well rested before a battle. You need to get some more sleep. Even if it's just an hour."

Aang blushed deeply as he looked down.

"Look. I'll make you some tea to help you relax okay. And then you need to try and sleep." Zuko said.

Aang chuckled. "Tea is your answer to everything isn't it?" he asked.

"No!" Zuko exclaimed. "It… It's my uncle's answer to everything. He taught me. Ahem." he coughed into his hand then glanced away.

Aang smiled amused. Then shook his head and he halted. "Erhm Zuko… Are you going to be okay with this?" he asked. "I mean… Fighting your own people."

"It's not like it's the first time." Zuko pointed out. "I fought against plenty of fire nation soldiers and… They all want to kill me."

"Yeah I know but." Aang swallowed. "This is a battle of war. And you are fighting on the side of… the North pole."

Zuko quieted as he looked down.

"Zuko," Aang asked.

"I… I have been thinking a lot lately." Zuko admitted. "About…. Me one day becoming Fire Lord and all of that. I have been thinking about… What I am supposed to do. And why I should do it and…" he swallowed. "The truth about the fire nation is… The military. The royalty of the fire nation. They don't actually represent the common fire nation citizen at all. The farmers and the carpenters, all the regular people. They… They are victims too. Living in constant fear. If they speak out they get killed… If they refuse the fire lord.. It's the same. They are living in constant fear and they are not.. Free." he said. "So… I decided. My duty is to them. You know? I have to free the fire nation from the tyranny of my father. No one else here cares about the fire nation. The Water tribes want to liberate themselves and so does the earth kingdom. And that's fair… They have enough on their plates. So… Helping the fire nation and what has been done to it. That falls to me." he said looking down. "But to do that. My father must be taken down."

Aang nodded. "That's very wise… And so much like you. I'm happy that's how you feel. So you'll become fire Lord?"

"One day… Probably." Zuko said. "The truth is. My Uncle was the one who was supposed to be Fire Lord. He's the older brother. My father stole his throne."

Aang gaped. "Your uncle?" he asked. "The one with the tea and spirits and clever words? He was supposed to be fire lord?!"

"Yeah," Zuko said. "Like I said though my father stole the throne. So I was thinking… Maybe my Uncle can be Fire Lord… For a while. Thing also is my Uncle has no heirs. His only son… My cousin. He erh… He died six years ago."

"I'm sorry," Aang whispered.

"Thank you," Zuko replied in an equal whisper. "Still that means. If my father is gone and my uncle takes the throne. I would still be the one next in line after my uncle. So… yeah… I don't think my uncle will even try to have any more children. And I don't think my sister erhm." he scratched his ear. "So I suppose…. It's what I have to do."

"Do you want to be the Fire Lord?" Aang asked. "You didn't sound like you wanted to."

Zuko sighed. "No…. I don't want to be the fire lord," he said. "But I have to." he looked up. "If I don't… So many are going to suffer." his lips thinned. "So I have to do what I can! I must save the fire nation. Even if it's from itself."

Aang gasped. "I…. I understand," he whispered.

Zuko looked at Aang.

"The truth is." Aang swallowed. "I… I don't want to be the Avatar," he whispered. "I never wanted to be the Avatar." his eyes watered. "Why me? Why do I have to save the world? Why can't I just go home to the Air Temple and play with my friends again?" he asked. "But…" his lip quivered. "If I don't do what I have to. People will die… people will get hurt so I… So I…" he sniffed as a tear fell down his face. "I decided! I'll do it! I have to! I'll become a real Avatar! So my friends won't be hurt! So Katara and Sokka won't have to lose another person like they lost their mother! You know? I just… So many have already died because I ran away from my destiny. I won't do that again. I just… I can't."

Zuko swallowed clearly touched. "Aang… I'm so sorry," he whispered. "I didn't know I…"

And then Aang zoomed towards Zuko and then hugged him tightly as he cried.

Zuko's eyes widened and then he shook his head in resignation as he put his hands on Aang's shoulders. "It's going to be okay," he said. "You're not alone anymore."

"I know," Aang whispered. "Thank you… Thank you so much I…" he swallowed. "Sokka and Katara both tried to be understanding but neither of them really… understood. You know?"

"I know," Zuko assured. Then wrapped an arm around Aang's shoulder firmly and slowly started to lead him down the slope. "Come on. I'm going to make you that tea okay?" he said. "And then you'll sleep an hour or two so you can be ready for the battle."

Aang nodded. "Okay," he whispered as they both slowly walked back towards the huts as slowly the light of the sun brightened up the north pole.

Chapter Text

Unfortunately, it was indeed only an hour of sleep Aang got before Katara shook him away. "Aang. Wake up. The ships are visible now from the wall. They are here."

Aang's eyes widened and he jumped up. "Now?" he asked.

"Zuko told us that the fire nation would be most likely to attack in the morning," Katara whispered. "Because Fire benders are strongest at day and water benders are strongest at night. They will want to use the day."

Aang nodded as he swallowed. "Where's Zuko?"

"On the top of the wall at the front gate. He's waiting for you." Katara whispered and Aang nodded as he jumped up and rushed out in a flurry.

 


 

"Zuko." Mai hissed. Even though she already knew this was a fight she was never going to win. "This isn't your fight! If you do this you'll never be safe from the fire nation! Ozai will stop at nothing to kill you!" she exclaimed with tears in her eyes.

In front of her stood Zuko. And he looked taller… Stronger and more secure than he ever had before. He looked sad but also determined.

"Mai. In a world without balance, everyone suffers." Zuko said as he reached forward a hand gently touching her cheek. "Fire nation included. It's everyone who'll suffer."

"But what about you?" Mai asked.

Zuko smiled as he put his hands on both sides of Mai's face and then gently rested his forehead against hers. "I'll be fine," he said. "I'm not alone anymore… And it's all thanks to you."

Mai's eyes widened and she gasped in deep shock.

"Oh!" Zuko let go of Mai's face as he gasped. "I am so sorry! So much happened that I forgot! And I guess this isn't really the best time. I just." he dug into his pocket and then quickly put something in Mai's hand. "Here!"

Mai blinked and looked down into her hand to see a necklace. Not very unlike Katara's but the ribbon was black and the pendant was a piece of round shiny copper. Her eye's widened.

"I hope it's okay." Zuko blushed deeply. "It was… Surprisingly hard to find a black ribbon. Everything around here is blue and white." he smiled a little defeated. "Oh and I don't know how to carve bones so I tried to use fire bending to shape the copper! They had a little piece at the smithy I could have. That sure was lucky." he smiled that optimistic outright innocent smile of his.

Mai gasped as she turned the necklace in her hand to get a look at the copper. "It's… " she looked at the illustration at the copper piece and blinked. "Swirls?" she asked.

"Argh I am so sorry!" Zuko grimaced. "It's supposed to look like a pond!"

"A pond?" Mai asked Zuko.

"Yeah! Like the turtle duck pond at the fire nation palace!" Zuko said. "Cause… That's where we first met. Remember?" he asked smiling shyly as he blushed. "And-And. That's where we would always meet in the afternoon and you taught me how to maintain and use knives! And you listened to me vent about Azula and… Those evenings were like… Some of my best memories from that time. I had a crush on you even back then." he finally admitted. "Cause of… Those times."

Wide-eyed Mai looked at Zuko. "You did?"

"Yeaah." Zuko blushed deeply. "But I didn't want to say anything cause... I was afraid Azula would make fun of me. Sorry." he whispered.

Mai was just gasping for breath. "I just can't believe you remember all of that... And our meeting spot too."

"Of course I do." Zuko blinked. "I never forgot. It was always one of the things I missed the most when I was banished… Those afternoons. At that place." he blushed. "But then since then I learned... I thought my only chance of happiness was going back! But that was never the answer. It was building something new! And better! And we ought to do that again!" he beamed. "You know? Things will be different and they can be better than they were before!" he beamed happily. "As long as we stick together!" 

Mai was lost for words. Utterly lost for words as she just stood there and held the necklace wide-eyed looking at Zuko as if she had never actually seen him before.

"Mai?" Zuko asked. "Is it okay?" he asked. "You wanted one right?"

Mai swallowed. "You do know what this is right?"

"Yeah." Zuko blinked. "We promised to stay together forever." He reminded her. "I wouldn't mind making that official either. So… Do you… Like it?"

"It's…" Mai looked at her new necklace again. "It's beautiful Zuko."

And Zuko exhaled deeply. "Oh Thank Agni." then though his eyes widened as a ball of heat and warm light came towards them. "MAI LOOK OUT!" Zuko shouted as he pushed Mai down and stood up blocking the fireball with his arms while Mai was down on the ground.

And then Aang came flying from above. "ZUKOOOOO!" he shouted.

"COMING!" Zuko shouted. "Mai you okay?" he asked looking down.

"I'm okay," Mai replied while nursing her arms that had broken her fall.

"Good! Just be careful." Zuko said and then he jumped off the wall making Mai's' eyes widen as she jumped up.

"ZUKO!" Mai shouted looking down only to see Zuko land right on Appa's back and then he flew. Putting out fireballs that would otherwise have hit the wall.

Mai hissed as she watched him fly over the ships, stopping fireballs while Aang jumped down on the first ship and tricked another to shoot for him hitting their own ship.

So these two… These two fucking idiots were the front lines of defense taking out ships all by themselves.

And then suddenly Mai gasped as she realized. She lacked a necklace! It had been in her hand and then Zuko had pushed her down.

Frantically Mai looked around herself and then finally saw that shine of copper at her feet she bowed down to pick up.

Mai exhaled deeply relieved as she held the necklace in her hand then she halted… For a moment she looked at it and then finally. She tugged it into her pocket and ran down to the other none bending warriors.

She could worry about this later.

Chapter 71

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Sokka gasped as he was strapping a club to his back.

Already the Fire nation ships had arrived, with the break of dawn just like Zuko had predicted, but yet had they reached land so the ground troops had yet to encounter combat.

So far it was up to benders to push the ships back in an attempt to tire attackers out or at least make them run a little low on ammunition.

The soldiers on the ground were just about to put on the traditional warrior's makeup, and that was when suddenly Arnook appeared, grabbing Sokka's arm and pulling him aside.

"Hey! What are you doing?" Sokka asked.

"I am removing you from the frontline defense," Arnook informed.

Sokka gaped. "Huh? WHAT?!" he shouted as he tore his arm away. "I thought we established this. I am not a child, I have lived this war. Which probably makes me the best warrior here. Like it or not."

"Exactly!" Arnook stated, then halted. "That's why I want you to guard Yue."

Sokka halted.

Arnook swallowed. "I… I have a feeling. In my chest." he held a hand pressed against his chest. "It scares me. I… I cannot lose her. Sokka, please." he looked pleadingly at Sokka. "I ask of you, keep my daughter safe!" he asked.

For a moment Sokka was silent, looking at the older man in front of him who looked genuinely distraught.

There were shadows under Arnooks eyes, he probably hadn't even slept, and his body was shaking.

"Sir," Sokka spoke. "You are the leader of this tribe. They depend on you, now more than ever. You have to be able to keep a cold head and lead your men with a steady hand. Don't worry about Yue, I swear to you on the honor of the South Pole." he put his hands together and bowed, in the way he had seen Zuko do so many times, and it always seemed to carry so much weight when Zuko did it. "I promise you."

Immediately Arnook's body seemed to relax and he nodded. "Yue has insisted she will assist at the healing huts. Please go there."

"Of course sir." And Sokka bowed again, then quickly dashed off while Arnook smiled.

Though as Sokka vanished on the horizon, Arnooks smile faltered, and he looked up to the sky. "Dearest moon," he whispered. "I know… You were the one to breathe life into my child. And as such, it is yours to take again. But…. She is the inspiration and hope of our tribe. And she's a child… She's my child. Please, let her be." he asked.

There was no answer though, and the chill went over Arnook's bones.

Still, Sokka was right. Arnook could not be distracted. Now more than ever, he had a job, to lead his people, he could not falter!

And as such Arnook turned around to continue with his own duties.

 


 

Aang jumped from boat to boat, slamming down his staff and tipping the boats over with massive winds, taking down entire battalions at the time.

At the same time, Zuko acted like a shield for Appa, blocking any fireballs sent toward the big bison making sure that the loving animal wouldn't be hurt.

Then suddenly as a ship was making ready their catapult towards the wall, Zuko jumped down and landed on the deck, grabbing one soldier throwing him over, kicked the catapult so it turned and fired at the fleet instead of the wall.

A soldier shouted as he send a fireball at Zuko, only for Zuko to jump up on the railing and then jumped again with his arm held up where Ang grabbed his hand, and then by the help of his air bending, threw Zuko back up on Appa.

Back at shore, waterbenders were raising the waters, creating big waves that pushed back the ships, making it difficult for them to come closer.

It was incredible, whole ships were taken down…. But the sheer numbers were just too overwhelming.

For every one ship taken down, five were ready to take its place.

And the fire nation didn't care how many ships or lives they had to lose, to the fire lord that was just cannon fodder. As Zuko had informed the water tribe in a dark tone.

In the eyes of Ozai…. Those ships and soldiers were just numbers on a piece of paper. And he wanted the world, all of it, no matter the cost.

Something bothered Zuko though…. The attack was big and clearly for show.

How could he ever forget the same tactic being used?

Division 41, mere cannon fodder, sent to die in the name of a distraction, while the real threat was snaking in through the backdoor.

Finally, the firing from the ships stopped and Aang and Zuko were standing up in Appa's saddle looking down.

"They stopped." Aang gasped for breath. "You think they finally ran out of ammo?"

Zuko's eyes narrowed. "No," he replied simply. "Fire nation soldiers have been trained to fight to the last breath. It is better to die with honor than to run in dishonor. Refusing to fight is proof of true cowardice. It's dishonorable at the highest degree. And is to be met with a severe and painful punishment. Such people on the front line would be a danger to the fire nation itself, dragging the other soldiers down, and would be better off dead."

Aang's eyes were wide as he looked at the fleet. "Wow…. That sounds. I dunno… kind of evil.... and also kind of stupid."

Zuko smirked. "I suppose to an air nomad where it is been taught that violence should only ever be a last resort. It sounds pretty stupid."

Aang closed his eyes. "Life is sacred," he said. "Including your own…. And once a life is gone. It can never be brought back. So it must be protected and treasured… You need to take good care of your own life too Zuko. It's not just you it belongs to. We're all connected in this world. And to the spirit too."

Zuko halted, then looked towards the air. "That's… The complete opposite of what Ozai.." he started.

Only then though did Aang start to fall over and Zuko gasped as he managed to grab his friend. "Aang!"

Aang groaned, then opened his eyes. "Ups… hehe… I guess I overdid it a bit. Heh." he grinned awkwardly.

"You need to rest!" Zuko exclaimed as he grabbed Aang's arm and pulled it over his own shoulder. "I am taking you to the healing huts. We pushed the ships back for now!"

"But Zuko!" Aang complained.

"All life is sacred!" Zuko stated. "Including yours. Right?"

Aang halted, then smirked amused. "Yeah okay… Just a short healing session though. I'll be fine."

Zuko shook his head as Appa turned around and moved back towards the city. "My uncle always told me that you have to know how to preserve energy! To just continue until you faint is foolish and accomplishes nothing."

"Your uncle always sounds so smart," Aang whispered. "When do I get to meet him?" he asked.

Zuko shrugged. "Probably not anytime soon. He should be floating around at random in the earth kingdom."

Aang smiled amused. "As long as he's safe."

Zuko nodded. "Yeah."

 


 

"Admiral Zhao. What is this?" Iroh asked a man who was taking his elite troop towards a smaller boat that should be able to slip by enemy defenses. "It is not proper for a leader to just leave his post in the middle of battle."

Zhao's smirk widened into a grin. "When I was young, I had a dream…. My destiny was revealed to me that night. And today. It shall finally happen. My name will be remembered, and I will go down in history."

Iroh's eyes widened, then he halted as he swallowed. "Admiral…. I too once had a dream. And I thought it to be my destiny. But it only let me to ruin. Are you quite sure this is wise?"

Zhao snorted. "Your dream was well within your grasp. General Iroh. Ba Sing Se was as good as yours. But you turned your back and lost it all. I will not be so weak."

Iroh's frown deepened. "Ba Sing Se isn't what was important. It just happened I only realized that after it was too late."

Zhao rolled his eyes. Then snorted.

Iroh however didn't lose composure and just kept looking at Zhao with a neutral look on his face.

"I suppose I won't have to remind you of our deal," Zhao commented.

"Well maybe if you would." Iroh shrugged. "I am so old. Memory can get a little foggy you know."

Zhao groaned deeply. "You lend me your aid. We'll make this night a success and Zuko lives. I shall inform Firelord Ozai that Prince Zuko never left his ship and has been no trouble. If we lose this night, if your precious nephew gets in the way. I shall tell the fire lord the truth. And there will be nothing in this world able to save either you or him! It will be known to all that you are traitors to the fire nation, and your death will be sure to be very painful."

"Ah." Iroh nodded. "yes that sounds right… I will admit I am rather attached to my head."

"As I thought," Zhao commented and then finally turned his back to Iroh to enact his plan.

The moment Zhao had his back to Iroh though, Iroh's eyes narrowed and his face became hard as stone.

Notes:

Omg she's back.

..... I am so sorry guys. I got all caught up in writing Encanto fics.... Lol.

Well, time to actually finish this one that is SO close to its completion. Hehehe.

Chapter Text

While Aang was in the healing huts getting a healing session to replenish his energy.

Zuko was walking around at foot of the walls around the city of the north pole, his eyes looking critically at the structures and then down at the waters, just in time to see a Penguin jump up from those waters, up on the opposite shore, and shook its head to get rid of some waters.

Zuko's brow furrowed deeply as he looked at the penguin, which was just minding its own business waddling in towards the city.

"Curious time you decided to look at penguins." a dry voice sounded right behind Zuko and Zuko turned around to see none other than master Pakku right behind him.

Zuko rose his own eyebrow. "Curious time for you to leave the front line."

"I was up at the wall pushing ships back," Pakku said. "When I saw a suspicious figure sneaking around down here. Someone had to make sure it wasn't an intruder."

Zuko glanced down as he nodded. "I suppose we're both thinking the same thing huh?"

"This attack feels aimless. Feels like a distraction." Pakku agreed, then frowned deeply. "What are they up to?"

Zuko's frown only deepened as he turned back to the water channel at his feet. "That penguin came from the outside right? Those penguins can freely swim in and out of the city. What is to stop someone from the fire nation from doing the same?"

Suddenly Pakku snorted, and Zuko turned to him looking annoyed. "What?"

Pakku send Zuko a look. "Swimming through the underwater ducts in the arctic?" he asked. "What kind of moron would even think it?" he asked.

"Hey, it could happen!" Zuko exclaimed.

"It would be the dumbest plan ever conceived," Pakku stated. "I got low regards for the fire nation. But I don't think they are that stupid."

"You do know fire benders can control their own body temperature right?" Zuko asked. "Breath of fire." he illustrated as he let out a small breath of fire.

Again Pakku just gave Zuko that look. "Doesn't breath of fire require, you know. Breathing?" he asked.

Zuko halted.

"You would have to be damn fire bending master prodigy to ever pull that off." Pakku rolled his eyes. "And even if such a guy existed, he would have to be severely weakened after such a stunt, and now he would be on enemy territory. What sort of moron would even do that?"

Zuko hissed annoyed, his head turning slightly red, and under him, water started to flow from his feet.

Shocked Zuko's eyes widened and he jumped away to reveal two footprints in the ice where his feet had just outright melted the ice and Zuko halted.

"What?" Pakku ashed.

"Your wall… Is ice." Zuko whispered. "The ground, the buildings. Everything!"

Pakku looked at Zuko.

"You can melt a tunnel through the ice." Zuko gasped. "Anywhere in the wall. Or just underground! Getting inside of the palace is easy for a fire bender. Just melt a hole in the wall."

Pakku's eyes widened in pure shock and horror.

"But they would have to do doing it doing the day. At night the flames would be too visible from a distance. But also a lot weaker than in daytime." Zuko gasped. "Someone somewhere is forging a tunnel!"

"Where?!" Pakku shouted. "Where is this happening."

"I don't know. How should I know!?" Zuko asked annoyed.

"You're a fire bender!" Pakku pointed out.

"So what?! You're a water bending master. Can you just magically feel where other people are water bending?!" Zuko asked.

"MASTER PAKKU!" a shout suddenly sounded from above on the wall. "We need help! There are so many. They are getting closer."

Pakku squinted his eyes. "I need to go back up." he huffed. "Prince Zuko."

"I know! I'll grab some people and we will look for people trying to sneak inside!" Zuko shouted. "You just hold the front line!" and he turned around, to run as fast as he could towards the healing huts, the place he had last seen Sokka.
Probably the best person to figure out the best way to look.

As Zuko re-entered the healing huts he was not disappointed.

Sokka was there guarding Yue who was supplying Aang with hot tea. Mai was there too, observing with her cat-like eyes.

"GUYS!" Zuko gasped. "We have a problem! That whole thing out there. It's a distraction! For sure!"

Sokka's eyes widened, and then he became serious. "Explain," he asked and Zuko did.

All about how he had seen this very tactic being used many times before by the fire nation, and his big revelation.

Sokka nodded understanding. "It'll be best to move in small groups of three or four, we don't want to be noticeable but neither do we want to be overmanned if we run into fire nation people."

"Let me come too!" Yue asked. "Let me help!"

Sokka halted as he looked at Yue, only to be faced with her determined eyes that wouldn't tolerate being told no and he nodded. "Okay. I saw a map of the city in the other room. Just gotta plan how to best cover ground and where to meet up."

Zuko nodded, as always glad to have Sokka's tactical mind just take over. "Okay good. Let's do this!"

Even Mai nodded. "Let's not waste any time. The plan has to be that they want to be inside before sunset."

"Yeah." Zuko agreed. "No time to waste!"

And they all nodded in agreement.

Chapter Text

They decided to split up into two teams while looking for ways that fire nation troops had tried to sneak in.

One group was Zuko, Mai and Katara. The other Aang, Sokka and Yue.

While Zuko and Aang were forces to be reconned with at their lonesome out in front. Sokka very much agreed that they need to keep some reserve for when it mattered.

Simply, it just wouldn't do to exhaust their two strongest fighters when the real battle hadn't even begun yet.

Also… Sokka wanted someone strong to help protect Yue, and who was better than the avatar himself?

Each group just started to follow the big ice wall around the north pole, going in each their direction, looking for a place where the soldiers could have entered.

"Man this is still so crazy to think about," Katara whispered as she was walking with Zuko and Mai. "The fire nation would just sacrifice that whole fleet to get a few people inside."

"Yup." Zuko nodded without even glancing at Katara, his eyes staying on the wall.

"That's what they do." Mai agreed.

"That's crazy." Katara gasped. "What… What's even the point of attacking if it means half of your own people die in the process? Just… Why?"

"To be honest with you." Zuko sighed as he finally turned to Katara. "I have no idea."

Katara was stunned quiet, then she looked down.

"I guess." Zuko hesitated. "The idea is that if the world had only one ruler, one way of life… there would be no more conflict. And things would be in balance. Then the world would be saved from itself."

Katara pouted. "Killing three fourths of the world doesn't sound like saving the world," she commented bitterly.

Just then a big fireball hit the wall, and as a result, the whole thing shook. Making Zuko nearly fall down.

Soon Zuko found his footing again and he gasped. "Let's keep going!" he exclaimed and they all nodded as they kept running.

Not for long though as Aang came flying, at the speed of a flying arrow. "Zuko! ZUKOOOOO!" he shouted.

Wide-eyed Zuko looked up just as Aang landed in front of him. "We got one! Sokka caught one. Come quick!"

Zuko gaped. "A fire nation soldier who got inside?!"

Aang nodded his head. "Yes! We need to interrogate him about where the others are. But Sokka wants someone who can block the fire bending if he tries something!"

Zuko nodded, and at once everyone was in a mad run following Aang, until true enough they met up with Sokka and Yue. As well as a third person completely covered by a big brown burlap sack, and robe tied around him multiple times.

The feet sticking out from under the sack true enough wore the pointed shoes belonging to fire nation soldiers, not much else was visible though.

Surprisingly though this individual didn't seem to struggle against them but was sitting absolutely still under the sack.

Sokka gasped. "Good you're here! We need information and quick. I think this dude might be a fire bender. He did some weird breathing stuff when we saw him. Kind of like the things you usually do Zuko."

Zuko nodded. "Breath of fire. So they won't freeze in this cold, even without wearing furs."

"Right. So, you can block any fire bending right?" Sokka asked and Zuko nodded. "Okay good. Everyone get into position!" he asked. "You stay in front, I'll remove the sack!"

Zuko nodded as he placed himself in front of the figure, ready in a fire bending stance. Mai pulled a knife. Katara had a water whip ready. Yue was covering her mouth in fright.

And then… Sokka pulled off the burlap sack revealing an older, kind of chubby-looking man. Wearing a Generals uniform and his hair in a traditional fire nation top knot, he shook his head as if trying to clear his breath. "Ah! Thank you young man. It was getting quite stuffy in there." he said in a warm, conversational tone.

Zuko however, was gaping. And then he shouted. "Uncle?!"

Everyone else halted. "What?!"

The old man turned to Zuko, and then his face split into a big warm happy smile. "Zuko! My dear nephew, it's so good seeing you."

Sokka was lost for words. So were katara, Aang, and Yue who were all gaping.

Then Sokka turned to Zuko. "That's your uncle?" he asked.

"Erhm… yeah." Zuko nodded. "That's my uncle Iroh alright."

"THAT'S AMAZING!" Aang just yelled and then rushed forward to Iroh grabbing his hands and shaking them wildly. "Zuko has told so much about you! I'm so glad I finally got to meet you?"

"He has?" Iroh asked. "That's surprising."

"You're kidding me right?" Sokka asked. "Zuko never shuts up about his uncle. My uncle is so smart, my uncle knows about spirits. My uncle makes the best tea. My uncle is so strong. My uncle said this, my uncle said that. Blah blah blah. My uncle. It's honestly getting kind of annoying." he stated as he stuffed a finger into his ear, rubbing it. 

Iroh's eyes widened, and then of all things… He blushed. "Did he really? Zuko I had no idea… I am so… So honored." he smiled while looking down, his cheeks pink. And it didn't look like it was from the cold.

He was not the only one though. Zuko was bright red in the head. "Sokka is exaggerating!" he exclaimed. "I'm not doing that!" 

Sokka didn't look impressed. "You totally are. All the time." 

Katara nodded. "Every day." 

"Indeed." Mai agreed. 

And Zuko's face... Just grew an even brighter shade of red. 

Aang however was oblivious.  "Zuko keeps telling so many amazing things about you!" he grinned at Iroh. "He says you make the best tea in the world and is great at Pai-Sho." 

"Aww really?" Iroh asked, genuinely looking touched. "Nephew that's so sweet! I don't even know what to say!" 

"Shu-Shut up!" Zuko exclaimed. 

Sokka blinked, then looked at Zuko. "Gotta admit. This is really not how I imagined your uncle," he stated dryly.

That made Zuko calm down as he looked back at Sokka looking confused. "Oh… Really?" 

Aang chuckled as he stood in front of Iroh. "I thought you would be taller." he grinned from ear to ear. "Like... Big tall warrior type!" he tiptoed and reached up his arms to make himself as tall as possible. 

At that Iroh let out a big loud amused laughter, while he finally stood up, proving he was indeed only a slight bit taller than Aang. And quite a bit shorter than Zuko, who was still growing.

"Yes I suppose my stature is far from impressive." Iroh just laughed, with that warm twinkle in his eyes. "But sometimes that has its own advantages. Don't let your eyes fool you." he winked.

Zuko groaned deeply, then rubbed his forehead. "Uncle…. What are you doing here?" he finally asked.

At that, Iroh grew more serious. In a second his entire demeanor changed. "Zhao is up to something. And I fear it's not very good."

"I mean duh!" Sokka exclaimed. "Have you seen that big fleet outside?" he gestured wildly with his arms towards the big ice wall.

Iroh raised his hand, signaling for Sokka to quiet. And surprisingly that single gesture did the job and Iroh calmly lowered his hand again as he looked up.

"That fleet alone would not be able to take the North Pole," Iroh said. "We are standing on water and ice. Which belongs to the water benders. The cold weakens our fire bending and only the fewest fire benders would be able to last for more than a couple of days here…. Yet Zhao seemed eager. He talked about a dream he had in his youth. Something that would make his name go down in history. There was madness in his eyes, and glee as he spoke of it. I don't like it."

There was silence as they all looked at Iroh.

"Zhao is here?" Katara asked.

Iroh nodded. "I was following him at a distance but then your friend here captured me." he pointed at Sokka. "I'm afraid I was so focused on Zhao I didn't notice your friend."

Zuko slammed his hand against his face. "SOKKA! You caught my uncle but didn't see Zhao?"

"No, I didn't!" Sokka exclaimed. "I just saw this guy hiding in a corner. And how do we even know if we can trust him?" he asked.

"Why shouldn't we?" Aang asked innocently. "He's Zuko's uncle."

"Aang look at him for a second! That's a fire nation uniform!" Sokka pointed at Iroh. "Not just that. It's a Generals uniform! Zuko's uncle is a fire nation General! Why on earth would he be on our side?"

"But…." Aang's lip quivered. "He's Zuko's uncle." he said again, as if that was reason enough. And Sokka groaned loudly. 

Zuko however halted…. Sokka was making a good point. And Zuko turned to his uncle who looked as innocent as ever, just standing there with a jovial look on his face.

It would be impossible to tell by just looking at him. But Zuko knew…. This was the dragon of the west.

One of the most feared commanders the fire nation had ever known. Who had conquered large parts of the earth kingdom. Lead the siege of Ba Sing Se. And had been a leader of the war, on the side of the fire nation.

But also…. He was Uncle Iroh. Who would smile, joke, play Pai-Sho and drink tea.

The two images seemed so at odds. And Zuko hated that as he looked at Iroh now, he just didn't know where his uncle stood or why.

Then Iroh spoke up. "I fear that…. Whatever Zhao intends to do. It is not only a threat to the water tribes. But to the world as a whole. This includes the fire nation." he said. "The world needs balance. And we are all dependent on this very balance. Every single one of us who lives in this world. Fire Nation, earth kingdom, or water tribe. I truly fear that… If Zhao succeeds with his plan. We will all lose."

"But what kind of plan would that be?" Sokka asked annoyed. "What could he possibly do at this place that would be affecting the world?"

At that, Yue's eyes widened. She gasped as she froze. "No…. It can't be. That can't be what he intends."

Everyone turned to Yue at once, their eyes wide.

"Yue?" Aang asked. "Do you… Have an idea?"

While they had spoken, the sun had been sinking down behind the ocean. The firing outside had stopped and the moon was shining down at them from the dark sky. Slowly… Yue looked up towards this bright silver moon. "No…. He can't possibly mean. He can't."

"YUE!" Sokka shouted grabbing her shoulders. "You have to tell us! What is it Zhao could do here that affects the entire world?!"

Yue was shaking, she faced Sokka, and then she whispered. "The spirits of the moon and the ocean…. They… They are."

Iroh's eyes widened. "They are here?" he asked.

And slowly Yue nodded, just then… Suddenly. The moon itself turned a blood-red color and everyone looked up as everything around them was now only bathed in that same red light.

Iroh gasped, then turned to Yue. "You must show us where the moon spirit resides," he stated. "Now! There's no time!"

Yue gasped as she nodded. "Follow me! It's this way!" she gestured and everyone ran, as fast as they possible good.

Chapter Text

As the group was running, as fast as they could. A horrible image was to be found all around them.

As the moon had turned blood red. All the water benders lost their powers. They tried to raise their arms to create waves, but nothing happened.

The fire nation however, was unaffected. And now with no push back, mercilessly they broke through the walls, fired at water benders that could no longer defend themselves.

And they were all blasted away.

It wasn't even a fight anymore.

The water tribe was outmanned and overpowered. All Aang could do was try to make air waves merely to create a path for them, while Zuko, Iroh, Mai, and Sokka just concentrated on keeping the others safe.

Katara was in tears, her water bending was gone. Yue could barely stand up, her connection to the moon was wavering.

It was…. A hopeless massacre.

Then suddenly a shadow fell upon all of them and Aang gasped as he looked up, then pointed.

"THERE! It's Zhao!"

True enough, there was Zhao. Standing on top of the palace building, a triumphant grin on his face as he held up a bag.

"LOOK UP HERE! LOOK AT ME!" Zhao boomed, and people looked up at Zhao in fear and distraught. "The moon itself is in my hand!" Zhao laughed gleefully. "Hear my name! Then say! SAY IT OUT LOUD!" he demanded. "For I am Zhao! THE MOON SLAYER!"

At that Aang screamed as he jumped up in the air. "NOO! Release her!"

Zhao's eyes widened as a gust of wind hit him, but even then Zhao didn't let go of his treasured bag. He flew through the air, and then landed on the ground rolling out. Finally getting up on his feet. Only to face the entire Avatar group.

"Put that spirit down!" Iroh demanded as he took a stand. "Now!"

Everyone took a stance around Zhao, closing in. Then Zhao got up and held a hand directly to the bag, flames erupting from his hand and everyone froze.

Zhao's eyes however narrowed. Then he looked at Zuko. "I knew you had turned traitor. Zuko." then he turned to Iroh. "Why doesn't it even surprise me that you would follow him into treateri? General Iroh."

Iroh huffed. "I am no traitor," he stated. "We are all dependent on balance in the world. If that spirit is harmed all will suffer. Including you."

Zhao lifted an eyebrow.

Iroh huffed. Suddenly there was anger on his face, anger, unlike anything Zuko had ever seen on his uncle. All pretenses were gone, never before had Zuko even heard Iroh raising his voice towards anyone, yet there was no doubt of his anger as Iroh yelled. "Whatever you'll do to that spirit I'll unleash tenfold on you! Let it go now!" he roared as he took a stance, ready to fight.

For a moment Zhao stood there as he looked around himself, the group had made a circle around him. There was nowhere to go.

Then Zhao smirked, and then he laughed. "You think you have my surrounded?" he asked. "Just look at who's surrounding you!" he laughed loudly.

And they all looked around to true enough see, an entire army of fire benders were all around them. All with their raised fists at them, ready to fire.

And Zhao… Zhao laughed as he raised his price in the air. "LOOK!" he asked. "Today I will have written history! Today Zhao the moon slayer secured the victory of the fire nation! First, he took out the moon. Then the traitor Prince and his traitor uncle. And then even the Avatar will be brought forth in chains! HAHAHAHAHAHA! My destiny! It is finally here! And Zhao the moon slayer. WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN!" he screamed as he held up the bag and then.

He set it on fire, a big hot flash of fire so hot it made everyone cover their faces, blinding them. And then… Zhao dropped the charred remains of a once bag at his feet, as everything around them had turned from red…. To a dull gray.

For a second, everyone was shocked. They were lost for words.

But then, out of all of them. It was Iroh, Iroh who screamed a big yell and ran straight for Zhao. He didn't manage to get that far until a fire nation soldier attacked him, only for Iroh to return the attack and send that soldier flying.

Then other soldiers came in his place and Iroh roared, firing his fire at them and sending them back. Easily taking down five fire nation soldiers all by himself, and then he kept going.

That seemed to wake up the rest who all yelled and entered the battle.

They were of course outnumbered, the fire nation soldiers were like ants that kept on coming. Demanding the groups' attention.

So much so that it was only one who noticed that… There was a person backing away.

Zhao had shock and fear on his face as he was exiting the battle, walking backward, and finally getting out of the pile.

Zuko was the one who noticed and he shouted. "ZHAO!"

Shocked Zhao looked at Zuko and then he turned…. And ran.

"COME BACK HERE YOU COWARD!" Zuko yelled as he ran after Zhao. That is what got Mai's attention and now she screamed.

"ZUKO!" Running after Zuko, leaving the rest with the fire nation soldiers. Oblivious to the three who had left the group.

 


 

Sokka gasped, as finally, the last soldier seemed to have been taken out, or at least they had retrieved.

It didn't seem like it mattered though, everything was gray. And not far from them they could hear the sounds of even more fire blasts, even if it was quiet around them.

Yue...Looked at the charred back in front of her, she stumbled forward and then fell to her knees. "No." she gasped as her fingers gently swiped away what had once been a back, and now revealed a brilliant white koi-fish, laying dead in front of her.

Yue's eyes watered, and then she cried, as gently Yue picked up the koi fish and hopelessly held it in her hands. "There's no hope now…." she gasped. "It's all over."

Aang gasped, then suddenly, his eyes and arrows started to glow, and he spoke in an odd voice. That voice which had a thousand of voices speaking as one. Thousands of past lives. "No… It's not over."

Shocked everyone looked at Aang, as Aang turned around and calmly started to walk.

Startled the rest looked at each other… But then started to follow Aang. Not knowing what else to do.

Yue walked quietly, respectfully holding the Koi-fish with both hands. Sokka had a hand on her shoulder for support as they walked.

That's when Katara seemed to notice. "Where's…. Zuko and Mai?"

Startled Iroh looked up, then he lowered his head as he hissed. "That boy. Always so impulsive." his fist tightened, shaking lightly at his side and Sokka glanced at it. Then up at Iroh.

"You really weren't kidding," Sokka whispered.

Iroh smiled bitterly. "I'm not your enemy," he assured. "And I have no wish to be. The world has lost its balance. And thus, everyone is suffering, We all depend on each other, as we are depending on all four elements. We cannot live if one sizes to exist."

Sokka frowned deeply. "I don't understand," he said. "You are a Fire nation General. Right?" he asked.

"Well… I was." Iroh admitted in a strained tone. "And I can never even hope to pay recompense for my sins. Thus I will not ask for forgiveness. All I can do now is do my best to bring back balance to the world."

Shocked Katara and Sokka looked at Iroh, who didn't look at them. But sadly looked at the ground at his feet while they walked.

"Heh." Sokka smiled amused. "Now I see it."

Iroh glanced at Sokka. "Oh?" he asked.

Katara smiled. "I can see why Zuko admires you so much," she said. "I think that's what Sokka means."

Sokka nodded, offering Iroh a light smile.

"That's so very kind." Iroh smiled warmly at them. "It warms my heart. Thank you."

Just then, they all stepped through a door and the group halted as they stepped into what seemed like a warm oasis in the middle of the north pole.

There was grass growing here, and the air was mild. In front of them, there was a clear pool. And Aang… He didn't stop walking. He continued to walk, right towards the pool.

Iroh stopped. "A spirit Oasis," he whispered.

"Yes," Yue whispered. "That is where the moon and the ocean reside. It's where Zhao took moon but look. Ocean is still there." she pointed, and true enough, in the pond was a black koi fish, swimming in circles.

Aang kept walking, then he stepped into the pool itself and walked out into it.

That is when the pool started to glow, the glow spread and enveloped Aang, and then… The waters of the pool rose up. The waters draped itself around Aang and rose up to become a big glowing figure, towering over them all.

Iroh's eyes widened. "Great ocean spirit," he whispered, and then he fell to his knees, and went into a full kowtow for the spirit. "Your anger is justified." he gasped. "Please… have mercy on our people. There were led astray and only followed orders. That is a shallow excuse I know but."

Whether the ocean spirit heard Iroh's plea or not was impossible to say, it didn't even seem to notice him as it rose up, and then stepped over them all and towards the city where the orange colors of flames were lighting up in the dark.

Only for the ocean spirit to roar, making the entire pole shake and the ocean itself was rising up while Iroh sat up on his knees, holding his hands together, and prayed.

"Have mercy on them." Iroh kept whispering. "We are only foolish humans. Stupid and ignorant. Please…. Have mercy."

The ocean spirit raised a hand, and with its hand, the waves rose with him and the first big wave of water flooded over the city, sweeping the first group of fire nation soldiers away as the ocean spirit roared.

Chapter 75

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Zuko was gasping for breath as he was running, hopelessly trying to keep up with Zhao.

Both left and right could Zuko see glimpses of orange and red as fire benders were firing their fire and water tribes men screamed.

There was a horrible smell in the air, a smell Zuko was only too familiar with. That of burned off flesh. And if Zuko took time to stop, he would have vomited.

But there was no time for that… Zhao was slipping away, and so Zuko did his best to ignore as he ran.

But not everything could be ignored, right next to Zuko. The waters in the channels started to glow, a light blue almost silvery color, lighting up in the dark of night.

And then the waters started to rise and a scream sounded, and then another. And another.

That finally made Zuko turn his head and now he saw, fire nation soldiers who were busy using their fire bending.

Tentacles of glowing waters were reaching up…. Grabbing the fire benders and then dragging them into the water, and under the water.

The fire nation soldiers would scream and claw at the ice, sending their fire at the water but to no help at all. They were pulled under and Zuko froze, horror hitting his body.

Then from above, there was that same silver glow and Zuko looked up to see a massive creature made of the same glowing water, walking toward the wall… The ocean and Zuko's eyes widened.

"No." he whispered. "NO!" Zuko screamed as he realized, the ocean! Where the fleet was.

And the big glowing creature just stepped over the icy wall, and already big balls of fire were fired at it. Obviously from the ships outside. But all that happened was that the balls went through the body of water and the glowing creature above him roared enraged.

Just as a soldier next to Zuko screamed as a tentacle grabbed his leg and dragged him towards the waters.

"NO!" Zuko screamed as he grabbed the soldier's hand. "Hold on! Just hold on!"

The soldier looked up at Zuko, there was clear horror in his eyes, paralyzing fear and the soldier hiccuped. "Help me… Help me please!"

As the soldier pleaded his voice cracked. Around the soldier's chin, there was only slight stubble that had yet to become any real beard… He was young. He was Zuko's age.

"Don't let go!" Zuko screamed as he used both hands to hold unto the soldier.

"I don't wanna die!" The soldier cried as he held on as tight as he could. "Mom! I want my mom!" he cried out his own eyes in this moment of pure fear where once truest base instincts surface. 

Zuko hissed as he squinted his eyes, he tried to pull but it was no use. Zuko was on ice and he was gliding with the soldier. Then suddenly, the soldier was pulled under the water and Zuko lost his grip.

"NO!" Zuko screamed as he looked down into the waters, yet he saw nothing. "Please! Are you there?! WHERE ARE YOU?!" he shouted.

Then suddenly another fire nation soldier screamed and Zuko turned his head to see more being dragged down, and another… Who was standing in the corner shaking yet… The tentacles didn't touch that one but went for the raging fire bender next to him.

Zuko's eyes widened. "Fire bending…" he whispered. "STOP FIRE BENDING!" he roared as he ran forward. "You all have to stand down and stop fire bending!" he shouted. "That thing is going for those who fire bends you gotta stop!" he shouted.

Yet, no one seemed to listen and Zuko wide-eyed looked around until he found a staircase, and then he ran up, he ran to the top of a building, and then screamed.

"STAND DOWN!" Zuko shouted. "Fire nation you just have to stand down! The waters are only attacking the people who fire bends! Just stop!" he cried. He looked towards the oceans and saw the waves being raised as the created command, and toppled ships over. Ships that were firing at it. "STOOOOOOP!" Zuko screamed. "Don't fire stop! You're all going to die! PLEASE! Please stop!" he cried.

"NO!" Suddenly Zuko was attacked from the side and there came Zhao with a fist of fire. "DON'T STOP!" Zhao shouted. "We are winning! The north pole is ours!" he stated as he attacked Zuko.

"Are you crazy?!" Zuko asked as he jumped away. "You're getting them killed! You're getting them all killed! Don't you even care?!"

"Why should I?" Zhao asked. "They are nothing. But me… I am Zhao! THE MOON SLAYER!" he shouted as he jumped for Zuko again sending fire after him and Zuko jumped away.

 


 

In the spirit Oasis…. Yue was sitting on her knees. Looking at the fish laying in the water before her… Tears fell from her house as those around her sat in silence as well.

Yue closed her eyes. "I was never meant to live…" she whispered. "It was the moon spirit that gave me life."

Those around her halted as they turned to her.

"I see now… It is time. That I give it back." Yue looked up.

Sokka's eyes widened in horror. "NO!" he screamed grabbing Yue's arm. "I won't let you! Your father told me to protect you!"

Yue turned to Sokka, her blue shining eyes resting on her face and she smiled a sad smile, as a tear fell from her face. "Because of you…. I got to dream for just a little while," she whispered. "What it would be like to have a life. Out there. It was wonderful. Thank you Sokka."

Sokka's eyes widened. "No… You can't mean. Yue."

"It's my duty," Yue replied. "Without the moon. Everyone will suffer… You as well."

"No." Sokka gasped and then, Yue leaned over and gently let her lips touch Sokka's before she turned to the fish in the pond.

Tears were running down Yue's face, and yet she didn't stop as she held out her hands over the fish and released a brilliant shining light.

And then… Yue's body fell to the ground. While in the pond a white fish was swimming around them and above… The moon was shining bright.

"No." Sokka gasped as he reached for Yue and then turned her around, only to see a pale face and cold un-moving lips. "No-no-no." he cried, and then. Sokka hugged the body as he cried. "I'm sorry… I'm so sorry."

Iroh looked up towards the sky where the full moon was now shining clear and bright, tears running down his own face as well. "Dear Ocean and moon." he gasped. "Surely it's enough now," he asked. "Please…. Stop."

All though as Iroh spoke, probably even he knew that there was one left… One life that had to be paid for this sin.

 


 

Wide-eyed Zuko looked up. The moon… The moon was back, but… How?!

Zhao seemed just as bewildered and he screamed. "HOW!" Then he fired more fire at Zuko who barely managed to dodge.

All though suddenly, those water tentacles were back, they were all around them and they were all going for Zhao, coming from all sides.

Zuko's eyes widened. "NO!"

It was too late though, the glowing water just picked up Zhao and lifted him up in the air. Then Zuko screamed.

"NO ZHAO!" he reached a hand for Zhao. "Take my hand!"

Zhao looked at Zuko, then he huffed.

"Take it please!" Zuko cried.

Zhao halted, and then an evil look came over his eyes as he reached out, and firmly grabbed Zuko's hand, only for Zhao to yank in Zuko, making Zuko lose his footing just as the tentacles started to drag them both down.

"NOOOO!" Mai suddenly came from behind, screaming as she grabbed Zuko's torso and managed to pull him back as Zuko kept his hold on Zhao.

Zhao hissed as he kept holding onto Zuko, and Zuko hissed as he tried to pull Zhao out while Mai pulled in Zuko.

Even so, they were being dragged towards the waters. The ocean was much stronger.

"ZUKO!" Mai screamed. "Zuko you have to let go!"

"NO!" Zuko screamed. "I won't! I can't!" he shouted.

"Please!" Mai cried. "We'll all die like this!" she exclaimed as they were dragged ever further towards the waters. "He sealed his own fate when he killed a spirit! And he wouldn't hesitate to kill you! That's what he's trying to do now! Drag you under with him! Just let him go!"

Zuko cried out, as suddenly tentacles rose up and then slapped Zuko over his arm making Zuko shout in pain as he finally let go and Zhao… Zhao was dragged down into the waters.

"NO!" Zuko shouted as he ran forward and looked down, but like before… There didn't seem to be anything under the water surface and now… Now everything seemed to have gone still as Zuko looked around to see the moon reflected in the water surfaces.

Zuko was stunned as he looked around himself, the silence was now so eerie, and then… He fell to his knees.

"ZUKO!" Mai shouted as she ran to him.

Zuko turned to Mai, tears running down his face. "I couldn't safe them…" he gasped. "I couldn't save anyone…. And I almost got you killed. I did it again… I'm sorry." his voice broke. "I'm so sorry!"

Mai halted, then she swallowed as she reached over. And then wrapped her arms around Zuko, dragging him into an embrace where he could rest. "It's okay," she whispered. "It's all okay… You did what you could. It's okay." she assured him as she held him.

Zuko's shoulders though were trembling and he cried.

And below them… Corpses resurfaced from the waters, now floating face down.

On the beforehand clear white streets were black burned corpses, laying alongside the purple frozen ones.

At the spirit oasis, Sokka was crying as he still held the still corpse of what had been a beautiful princess.

Katara as well was gasping for breath as she cried, and Iroh was sitting in respectful silence with a bowed head, tears running down his face.

The fight was over….. But in war. There are no winners.

Notes:

Other fanfic writers: I'm going to make this entire North pole plot line nicer and have Yue live.

Me: .....

 

I'm sorry guys.

Chapter Text

"We are gathered here this night." Chief Arnook spoke clearly as he faced his people. "To honor all those who fought. And gave their lives for our beloved home. And we are here…. To say goodbye."

Behind Arnook was the ocean itself, and resting on this ocean was a ship. A beautiful and proud war ship hand carved from precious wood.

And on the deck of that ship were the bodies, each one covered by a skin of their own. And on a platform, slightly raised above the others in the centers. Was where Sokka knew Yue was.

He couldn't keep it together, he cried openly and didn't complain as Katara wrapped her arms around her Brother and pulled her in for a hug.

"Each one of these people." Arnook swallowed, clearly fighting to keep it together. "Was a beloved brother, sister, mother, father, son…." he halted. "Daughter." for a moment he had to look down, then he looked up again. "Tui and La! We are not ungrateful for our victory. Only because of you were the rest of us able to live on… So now we can remember." he had to gasp again. "Remember their names and carry on as they would have wanted. Thank you, moon and ocean. You who are always watching over us. We now return to you, your children. And we pray for their safe journey into your embrace, where they will never truly die."

And with those words, the ship was let go… Into the ocean, and as it had sailed a decent way out. Fire arrows were fired and then… The boat with its precious cargo caught fire, so they could all be returned to the ocean from where they came.

Wide-eyed Sokka looked at the ship, and he opened his mouth only to cry out in pain as the smoke rose up and rose towards the moon. Now even the bodies would be gone… It was all so real and he cried.

Katara kept holding her brother as tears fell down her face as well, then she reached out and grabbed Aang, pulling him into the hug as well.

Aang… Only twelve years old. Was it any wonder that he was in tears as well, sobbing and crying.

Zuko was trying to stand with dignity, but it was hard. He was clutching Mai's hand in his own, while she stood there with a stone expression.

Iroh was indeed standing with dignity… But tears were quietly falling from his eyes regardless as he stood there in silence while the ship burned.

 


 

Though even as the ship had burned and there were no embers left in the horizon, the night wasn't over.

Zuko, Mai and Iroh moved outside of the city, and they kept walking until they were in front of a great pyre built of whatever broken wood they could find as the water tribe hadn't been willing to spare perfectly good boards or ships for this.

In fact, if it had been up to the water tribe people alone. The corpses of the fire nation soldiers would have been left out in the snow for the wolfs to eat.

Only by Zuko's and Aangs collected plea had they finally allowed them to gather the fire nation corpses.

And only barely had Iroh not been killed, even with Aang standing up for him, fortunately for Iroh, there had been witnesses seeing Iroh trying to defend the moon spirit and fight against the fire nation soldiers. And surprisingly Pakku had taken Iroh's side as well, finally making Arnook agree to allow Iroh to go free… As long as he stayed close to the Avatar at all times.

Now Zuko was looking at the big pyre they had managed to build, and the corpses unceremoniously stacked on top just as a slight shimmer of light appeared in the horizon.

Funeral pyres were supposed to be lit at dawn, that was the fire nation tradition.

Zuko turned around to where he could face Aang, Katara, and Sokka, who all looked dead on their feet already. "You don't have to be here for this," he whispered. "You're not fire nation…. You…"

Aang held up his hand. "I am the avatar," he informed Zuko. "I am supposed to represent all four nations. All of them."

Zuko's eyes widened in shock.

"Also. You're our friend." Aang smiled sadly. "You were there for us and fought with us. This is the least we can..." He halted and had to stop. 

Zuko gasped, then he swallowed. "The fire nation killed a nation." he reminded Aang. "Your nation! And you two." he looked at Aang and Katara. "They took your mother."

"Someone in the fire nation did." Katara agreed. "It wasn't you though… Or any of these guys." she grabbed Sokka's hand and held it firmly. "They are just people like us."

Sokka nodded. "Yeah… So let's just do this."

Zuko swallowed as he turned back to the pyre, just as the first line of golden sun became visible in the sky and he squinted his eyes.

"Do you wish to say a few words, Prince Zuko?" Iroh asked in his softest voice.

Zuko grimaced. "Could you…" he turned to Iroh. "Please… I just can't right now."

Iroh nodded. "Of course my Prince," he assured, then turned to the pyre, also facing the sunrise as he did so. And he bowed his head. "Agni. You who breathed life into us all and granted us this gift of being alive," he spoke. "Please forgive your children, and accept them back into your embrace. They were all brave, and only wished to serve you and your light. Please protect them on their journey, and grand them rest." he looked down.

Zuko squinted his eyes. "I'm sorry," he whispered. "I'm sorry I couldn't protect you I…"

Iroh put a hand on Zuko's shoulder. "There was nothing you could have done Prince Zuko. Do not blame yourself."

"I am their Prince!" Zuko gasped. "Or at least I am supposed to be. It's my duty I.."

Mai's eyes widened at that, then she looked down.

"You did all you could," Iroh assured again. "Which is more than anyone else. Now, lend me your aid?" he asked.

Zuko squinted his eyes, then nodded as both firebenders faced the pyre and then, the two set fire to the wood and the corpses, and as the sun rose above them the corpses were burned up.

"Zuko…" Aang spoke in a broken voice. "I'm sorry…. I'm really sorry." he sniffed. "This isn't what I wanted… I didn't mean."

"Do not worry young Avatar," Iroh spoke kindly. "We all know those actions weren't yours. But the ocean spirit itself which possessed your body."

Zuko nodded. "And if the ocean spirit hadn't arrived… Zhao and his men wouldn't have stopped until the north pole had been eradicated." he swallowed. "Just another genocide for the fire benders."

"Zuko is right." Iroh agreed. "Only two should be blamed for this. Fire Lord Ozai who approved of this siege. And Zhao who planned it and lead it." he stated. "All you did was protect yourselves from their pride and blood lust."

Aang swallowed, then sniffed.

"You all look tired." Iroh then said. "We should return. I'll make you a relaxing tea, perhaps then you may even be able to sleep."

Zuko smiled a little amused, even as he swallowed. "Uncle… Is tea really your answer to everything."

"Most things dear nephew, most things," Iroh informed as he patted Zuko on the shoulder. "Come on then, let's go back."

And they all nodded as they followed Iroh back to the city, all of them praying that his so called calming tea would really work as they were all feeling too tired to stand, and yet when they closed their eyes nightmares would play behind their eyelids.

Yeah, they could all do with some magic tea right about now.

Chapter Text

At the spirit pond, in the spirit oasis. Two fish were gently swimming in circles. There was no rush, their swim was slow and just continued going.

As if nothing was wrong…. As if things were perfectly fine.

Sitting at the shore of the pond, looking at the fish with empty eyes was a young woman with catlike yellow eyes and long smooth black hair.

Mai's hair had come undone from her usual buns, or rather she hadn't even bothered to do her hair at all. So now it was just falling down her shoulders and back in an ebony waterfall.

Carefully an older man approached her from behind, then spoke as gently as he could. "Lady Mai." Iroh nearly whispered. "Forgive me the intrusion. I just wished to ask if you are well."

Mai's head bowed, her hair falling over her face.

"Lady Mai?" Iroh asked again.

"Yue…" Mai whispered. "She didn't want to die…. She didn't even want to be a princess. She wanted to be with Sokka. She wanted to travel the world and be free. She told me so herself, and the way she looked. It was so obvious she wasn't kidding."

Iroh stood, absolutely silent.

"But she didn't even hesitate." Mai hissed. "She chose duty over any of her own wishes."

Iroh lowered his head. "A remarkable young woman," he whispered sadly.

"She reminds me of Zuko." Mai ended.

Iroh looked up in shock, then his eyes squinted and he hissed.

Mai looked at the fish again… Black and white… Push and Pull… life and death. Stupid balance.

Barely did Mai stop herself from just hitting at the water to make it all stop, and she swallowed.

Quietly did Iroh sit down on his knees next to Mai on his knees, looking at the fish as well.

"He almost got himself killed doing the siege." Mai then admitted. "He tried to save Zhao. Can you believe it? Zhao wanted to kill him. But Zuko didn't even hesitate! And if Zhao had managed to kill Zuko. He would have been laughing and not lost a second of sleep over it."

"Zuko's empathy and respect for life have always been…" Iroh hesitated. "Remarkable… Sadly also dangerous in this world."

"I don't know if I can do this anymore!" Mai covered her face. Then finally broke, and she cried. "Zuko is just… And he's not going to stop is he? He's going to continue getting hurt. He might get killed and I just…"

Iroh kept looking at Mai with sad eyes, he didn't object and he didn't look angry. He just listened.

"Am I really so awful?" Mai asked. "I don't want this! I don't want any of this. Why him? Why us?" she asked. "Why this world… Is it really so bad that I liked the way we were." she closed her eyes. "But Zuko has made up his mind."

Iroh bowed his head. "Seems to me that… You are at a crossroads," he whispered. "And you have a choice you must make. I fear that the longer you wait the more painful it will be. You have to choose. and this choice… Must be yours to take."

Mai hissed, then she reached into her pocket and pulled out… a necklace. A copper piece in a black ribbon and she held it in her hand, looking at it.

"Yue… Wanted to run away with Sokka. But she chose her duty to the world." Mai swallowed. "Zuko…"

"Has already made up his mind… Yes. I've seen it in his eyes." Iroh said. "He would never be able to live with himself if people got hurt and he could have stopped it... That's always who he was." Iroh closed his eyes. "That is what got him burned and banished in the past.... But still. That his soul is still the same. To me that is nothing less than awe inspiring." he halted. "But also quite scary... It is a dangerous world for a person with such a kind soul." 

Mai glanced away. "Will you…. Hate me if I leave?" she asked.

"No," Iroh said. "To stay with Zuko now would mean taking on a burden, a burden most people wouldn't be able to carry. It would be an immense sacrifice to give. You are not wrong for wanting to live your own life."

"But?" Mai urged on.

Iroh sighed. "It is not my place to make the decision for you Lady Mai. It must be yours," he said as he looked at the pond again. "Though what I know is this… To truly love someone does indeed mean running the risk of losing them. And the hurt that comes with that fact is the price." he swallowed. "Though… To tell you the truth. My own life only got meaning, true meaning. The day Lu Ten was born. Everything before that was just so shallow when thinking back on it."

Mai turned her head to look at Iroh, who sadly looked at the pond. Then she swallowed. "If Lu Ten had never been born," she whispered. "You could have avoided it… All that pain! You."

Iroh shook his head as he smiled sadly, a tear rolling down his face. "I do not regret a single day I spend with Lu Ten. And if I got the chance to spend another day with him I wouldn't hesitate. Even knowing how much it would hurt when that day would be over." he said. "And I will never regret his birth. Never!" he stated. 

"But you're still not over it are you?" Mai asked. "His… Death."

Iroh looked at Mai. "I will never be over it," he stated. "That's not how it works. Still… I had to keep moving forward. There is no choice. Though… If not for Zuko." he looked down again. "There would have been no meaning. Zuko… though he doesn't know it. I think he saved my life. He needed me, so I had a reason to keep moving. I am no longer able to live just for myself." he shook his head. "If Zuko was to perish then I..." he halted. "I doubt I would be able to carry on," he admitted. "I need him... It's a selfish thing I know. But it's true." 

"So you are okay with just living for him. But he's not going to live for you." Mai gasped. "His duty is going to come first! You said you saw it too. He has already made his choice!"

Iroh looked sadly at Mai. It was confirmation enough.

Mai swallowed. "You could be fire lord right?" she suddenly asked. "The throne was supposed to be yours first! You can live for the fire nation. It doesn't have to be him."

Iroh looked at Mai, again with sadness in his eyes. "I wish I could take the burden away from him. I wish he could be allowed to just be free and happy," he whispered. "But… There's a river of blood at my feet. These hands." he held them up with his palms upwards. "They are soaked in blood. Water tribe and Earth Kingdom alike. Even Fire nation. No…. If you truly wish for the fighting to stop, for a siege like this to not happen again." he swallowed as he lowered his hands. "The new Fire Lord must be someone with clean hands…. Someone who can stand in front of a new era of peace, and be that example of a different way. I'm sorry Lady Mai." he said very sincerely averting his eyes. 

Mai hissed as she squinted her eyes, then she sobbed. And she covered her face with her hands.

Then gently, Iroh put an arm around Mai. And then pulled her into a gentle hug. "It's okay," he whispered.

"It isn't fair." Mai cried. "It just isn't fair!"

"No. It's not." Iroh agreed. "I'm sorry."

"Do I even matter?" Mai asked.

At that Iroh gasped as he sat back. "Of course you do!" he exclaimed. "You made my boy smile, in a way he hadn't done for three years. I think even longer than three years to be honest. I hadn't seen him smile like that since before I left for the Siege of Ba Sing Se." he said, then put a finger under Mai's chin, gently lifting it up. "You. My lady. Has brought him happiness, in a world that otherwise only has given him hurt. What you have given Zuko already is beyond compare. And if you stay…. You will be giving him the greatest gift of all." he whispered. "If you leave… You still gave him something that can never be measured. What you gave him will stay with Zuko forever and he will never forget. Trust me… The way his eyes shine when he looks at you, the way he smiles when talking about you. How his inner flame seems to heat the room when your name is brought up. That is what you gave him. And for that… You will have my ever lasting gratitude. Lady Mai."

Mai's eyes widened, and then she looked down as she swallowed.

"I owe you so much," Iroh said sincerely. "Whatever you choose. You will indeed have my aid."

Mai squinted her eyes and then, looked at the necklace in her hand again.

 


 

In a line was standing a group of fire nation men. Each of them had their heads bowed, and their hands were firmly shackled behind their backs, as well were their feet shackled together as they stood in a line out in the snow, all looking down.

Hahn huffed annoyed. "Why are we even wasting food on these guys?" he asked. "We should kill them! They killed our people!"

"I do not disagree with that," Arnook spoke calmly. "But we owe Avatar Aang and Prince Zuko. It's more than they deserve, but they will live."

Hahn huffed as he turned his head to look at Aang and Zuko standing right next to them, both with determined looks on their faces.

"It's enough now," Aang stated. "Enough people have died. On both sides! It's enough!"

Zuko nodded as well.

"What do we do with them though?" Hahn asked. "We can't just keep them here."

Zuko frowned as he looked down. "There are Fire nation ports and colonies in the earth kingdom," he stated. "We can set them adrift on a ship close to a port and let the fire nation army pick them up."

"Please don't!" a new voice suddenly exclaimed and Zuko halted as he looked up, and so did the others.

Confused Zuko looked around to see who had spoken and then he realized, he turned to the fire nation soldiers in front of him and saw… A young man with a bowed head, his eyes squinted and sobs escaping the young man's mouth as he sniffed.

Zuko looked at the young man. "Is there a reason why you don't want to go back to the fire nation?"

The young man gasped, then he sniffed. "I… I don't I…" he sniffed. "I don't want to fight anymore. Not like this!" Then the young man broke and he bawled. "This isn't what they said it was going to be like! I don't want to do this again!"

Suddenly the other young men around him started to tremble too, and more of them started to cry.

"It's gotta be time to harvest Ash bananas soon!" Another young man gasped. "My dad always needs help to harvest his bananas. I need to go home, I can help him!"

"Your father is an Ash Banana farmer?" Zuko asked and the young man nodded. "What about yours?" Zuko asked the first man.

"He… He's a fisherman." the young man swallowed. "I used to help him fish. And fix his nets and… I'm sorry sir. I want to go home now… I… Do you think it could be possible to send us home?" he asked hopefully and the rest all nodded.

With sad eyes, Zuko looked at them. "I'm sorry," he whispered. "Either you return to the army and they will send you back on the field. Or you will be branded traitors and they will kill you."

That made them all gasp horrified.

Aang swallowed. "What if we just…. Set them free in the earth Kingdom?" he asked.

Zuko closed his eyes. "It wouldn't be easy for them," he said. "They would have nothing, and would have to survive on their own in an unfamiliar land where the inhabitants will kill them if their true identity is ever discovered. But." he looked up at the fire nation soldiers. "You would at least have a chance of living without having to fight."

That fire nation soldiers were all shaking and glancing at each other.

Zuko sighed deeply. "I'm sorry. I wish I could send you all home to your families. But it's just not in the cards. And you can't stay here…. If you don't wish to return to the army. There's only the earth kingdom. All though." he halted. "I… When my father has been defeated. Your families will indeed be needing you. In the fire nation. When that time comes, I'll make sure you can come home."

The young soldiers all slowly lifted their heads and then they nodded.

"Thank you sir." One swallowed.

Zuko nodded. "That settles it. You will be sailed to the earth kingdom and then let go. You will be on your own, but you will at least have each other."

At that, multiple of the young soldiers let go of a gasp in relief, and Hahn huffed.

"You should all have died," he commented.

Arnooks eyes narrowed. "Fire nation soldiers." he huffed. "You are alive now. Only because of the mercy of the water tribe and the pleas of your Prince. Don't ever forget." he spoke in a dark voice and all the young soldier's eyes widened. Then they lowered their heads and nodded.

 


 

In the evening. Zuko, Sokka, Aang, and Katara were sitting on top of the furs in their hut, discussing their next move.

"We need to find Aang an earth-bending teacher next," Katara stated. "So I guess it's back to the earth kingdom then."

Zuko nodded. "Fortunately there are plenty of earth benders to choose from."

"I already know who my teacher has to be!" Aang grinned.

Zuko blinked. "Really?"

"Uhu!" Aang nodded. "It gotta be Bumi! So we have to go back to Omashu!"

Just then the door opened and in stepped a young woman with long black hair. Zuko turned his head to look up at her and by the mere sight of her Zuko's entire face just brightened up in one big smile, that true enough seemed to envelop the room in warm cozy energy, as he beamed. "MAI!"

Mai glanced down at the group of friends sitting in their circle. "Hey don't count me out," she stated as she moved in and then sat down next to Zuko.

As she sat down Sokka blinked. "Hey Mai. Is that a new necklace?" he asked as true enough, around Mai's neck was a black ribbon with a shining copper pendant.

Mai nodded. "Yes it is. Thank you for noticing."

Katara gasped. "Oh it's pretty. It almost looks like mine. It really suits you." she beamed.

Mai smiled at Katara. "Zuko made it for me," she informed. "It's a pond see?" she pointed at the symbol on her necklace. "When Zuko and I were kids. There was this turtle duck pond in the Palace gardens. It was our secret meeting spot. We would meet up there all the time. In secret!"

"Really?" Katara asked. "That's so romantic!"

Zuko blushed deeply as he looked down, but there was a smile on his face. A real and sincere smile, even now in this tragic situation.

Mai glanced at him, and then she smiled as she glanced away. She reached over and then gently took Zuko's hand, her fingers braiding with his.

"So back to the earth kingdom you say?" Mai commented, then she shrugged. "Well, sounds a lot less cold than here. So that's nice," she stated while the others smirked amused and Zuko leaned closer to Mai. Smiling warmly, the way he would only do when Mai was nearby. And this time… Mai did indeed notice, and she smiled.

Chapter 78

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

It felt like a lifetime ago now…. Since Zuko had first arrived at the North Pole.

He knew it hadn't actually been that long, but everything had changed. And yet, their journey was far from over as now they were setting sail yet again, sailing away from the North Pole, back towards the Earth Kingdom.

For the first stretch, team Avatar sailed with the water tribesmen. But soon they would board Appa and fly towards Omashu.

Zuko stood on the deck, looking toward the white glaciers that were becoming smaller on the horizon.

That's when Iroh stepped up beside Zuko to join him. "What a beautiful sight," Iroh commented. "Though I won't be missing the cold," he admitted.

Zuko smirked amused. "Mai is pretty much saying the same thing," he stated, then he turned to Iroh and his smile faltered. "Are you sure you don't want to come with us?" he asked. "Aang says there's enough room on Appa. We can make it work."

Iroh smiled a little sadly. "This is your journey," he stated. "And… You have good people to look after you now. You don't need me. Our new friends, however." Iroh turned his head to glance at the fire nation soldiers all relegated to sitting at the deck of the ship, hands, and feet still tied up.

Zuko looked at the surviving fire nation soldiers as well. "You're really going to look after them?"

"Well, for as long as it makes sense," Iroh said. "At least until they are safe and settled somewhere where they can live in peace."

"But where is that?" Zuko asked. "The fire nation is aiming for the entire earth kingdom. If they ever find you, they'll." Zuko halted. 

"Well." Iroh hesitated. "There is one place in the earth kingdom where the fire nation has no access."

Zuko frowned as he tried to think, then his eyes widened. "You… You don't mean."

Iroh just smiled. "So if you do happen to pass by Ba Sing Se. Do come say hello," he asked.

Zuko spluttered. "How on earth would I even be able to find you in Ba Sing Se?" he asked.

"Easy," Iroh replied with a twinkle in his eyes. "Just find the tea shop that serves the best tea!"

Stunned Zuko looked at Iroh, then suddenly he snorted. He couldn't help it as he pressed a hand against his mouth, laughing over how ridiculous this was.

Iroh however was just smiling like a warm sun, seemingly happy that he managed to get a chuckle out of Zuko.

"Seriously Uncle?" Zuko asked, then sighed. "Ba Sing Se? They will kill you if they find out who you are."

Iroh shrugged. "I don't see how that's different from anywhere else," he stated. "Ozai must have gotten word by now. About our role at the North Pole. We are official traitors. No doubt the fire nation will actively be aiming for our demise before we create too much trouble."

Zuko halted, the smile washed off and he swallowed. "Uncle I'm sorry I…"

Iroh shook his head. "Don't say that," he said. "Out of everyone Zuko. You're the only one, who has always tried to defend fire nation lives. No matter what." he stated as he looked up at Zuko. "In my eyes. That makes you the only one among the fire nation leaders that hasn't betrayed the fire nation."

That made Zuko's eyes widen. "Huh?"

Iroh smiled sadly. "Think about it... The duty of a leader ought to be to protect his people. Just like our dear Princess Yue. But... The leaders of the fire nation has not been protecting any fire nation's lives. Only carelessly thrown them away for vanity battles. To bring themselves glory... Just like Zhao who wanted to be remembered. Never did he even care about the people who led and he was supposed to protect. You, however." Iroh had to wipe away a tear, then put two fingers on Zuko's chin and lifted it up. "You spoke up for them. The fire nation people, who were willing to give their lives for the nation. You've always tried to protect and save. And there's no way that makes you a traitor. Far from it. And I… I am so proud of you."

Zuko was too stunned to speak, shocked he just looked at Iroh with shocked eyes. 

"I always was." Iroh's eyes watered. Then he smiled as he removed his hand from Zuko's chin, then gently laid his hand against Zuko's cheek. "We'll meet again. And sooner rather than later. I just know it."

Zuko nodded as he squinted his eyes. "Uncle I… I can't ever thank you enough. For… For everything you've done for me."

"Oh Zuko." Iroh shook his head as he removed his hand. "You've given me more than you will ever know. You have given me hope… A second chance. And." he glanced down. "I know this may sound… intrusive." he halted. "But I…" he glanced up. "Particularly after Lu Ten died. But even before then. I always thought of you as…"

Zuko halted. "Uncle."

Iroh smiled sadly. "I think of you as my own," he said.

Zuko closed his eyes, then he swallowed as he had to wipe away a tear with the back of his hand. Now not knowing what to say or respond. Zuko did the only thing he could think of, he leaned over and hugged Iroh.

Iroh's eyes widened in surprise, then they closed and he returned the hug.

And slowly, they let go of each other. Both smiling, though a little sadly. Also hopeful… for there was indeed hope.


 

Soon. Zuko and all the rest of the gaang were on Appa's back, and now they were flying away while the boats vanished towards the horizon.

Zuko was on his stomach, looking towards where the boats had vanished. And right next to him was Mai, looking with him.

"He'll be alright," Mai assured. "He's pretty tough."

Iroh chuckled to himself as he smiled. "Yeah." then he glanced at Mai. "Erhm… Thank you."

Mai blinked, then turned to Zuko. "For what?" she asked.

"For… You know." Zuko blushed. "Sticking with me," he whispered. "I know this isn't what you wanted and I… I know this isn't easy for you." he swallowed. "I don't even know how I can ever make it up to you. I just… I put you in danger. That's not right. And I… I made stupid decisions. I know I did. And I am probably going to do it again. Cause I'm stupid. You know that! I'm so sorry!  And..." Zuko blabbered on. Then he halted as suddenly Mai put a hand to his cheek.

Stunned Zuko looked up, and met Mai's amused eyes.

"Stupid?" Mai asked. "Oh absolutely. You're an idiot."

"Hey!" Zuko snapped.

Mai chuckled as she retrieved her hand. "But I love you anyway. So who's the real idiot here?" she asked.

Zuko blushed as he glanced down.

Mai shook her head, then glanced up towards the sky. "At the fire nation palace. Everyone was only concerned about themselves. They didn't care about how others got hurt. And they didn't care about who got killed… But you weren't like that. You were different." she smiled as she looked down. "You cared about those around you. You were so cute back then." she chuckled into her hand.

"Seriously?" Zuko asked.

Mai shrugged. "I just thought it was worth remembering… Why I loved you in the first place."

Zuko halted, his eyes completely wide. 

"You're different from Zhao. The complete opposite actually." Mai commented. "And different from Azula. From all of those nobles and Generals. That's what I like about you." She whispered. "You're not indifferent to life. That's what makes you…. You." 

Zuko's eyes remained wide.

Amused Mai shook her head. "I don't want you to change," she whispered in a gentle tone, then she glanced up. "Though I guess those things are also what makes you such a fucking idiot." 

Zuko now blushed deeply as he looked down. "I guess that's… erhm. Why I need you." he tried. "Hehe, you know… Cause you're smarter! Erhm."

"Got that right. Can't have you dying until this thing is over Zuko," Mai stated as she patted Zuko on the cheek.

Zuko pouted.

"And after that. I guess it would be pretty bad if the Fire Lord died. So I guess a girl just gotta do, what a girl gotta do." Mai shrugged.

Zuko halted, then he swallowed. "I'm sorry," he whispered. "I know it's a lot… I just."

Mai glanced at Zuko, her eyes meeting his, then he smirked. "Yeah. You sure are a lot Zuko," she stated. "But I'm a big girl. So bring it."

Zuko's eyes widened, then he smirked as he glanced down. "I love you so much," he whispered. "I mean like…. So much."

Mai's smirk widened into a big grin. "I love you too," she stated and Zuko gasped as he looked up.

Then, as Mai grinned. Zuko smiled shyly and they both leaned over before finally, they kissed.

Their journey was far from over. But both knew, they would always have each other. So they were ready for the things to come!

And with that in mind, they looked toward their next big destination. The great city of Omashu.



The End.

 

 

Notes:

And that! My friends! Finally after a long break.

Is the end of the fanfic! Thank you so much for reading it. I hope you guys liked it.

I know, some people want a sequel to cover the other books of Avatar.

I'm sad to tell you. That's just not going to happen. This is going to be it for this timeline.

The reason why is that I already wrote another fic with Zuko joining the gaang earlier called "Scars."
And that fic covers book 2 and 3 of Avatar. As well does its sequel cover events post show.
So if this fic were to go over that, I would just be repeating myself.... A lot.

But yeah, if you want to read my version of Zuko being with the Gaang for book 2 and 3, that fic can be read right here:

 


https://archiveofourown.org/works/28578189/chapters/70038804

 

I'm sorry if it disappoints people a lot that I won't be continuing this timeline, it's just like I said... I would be repeating myself for at least 80 percent of the fic so... I really have no desire to do that. So yeah...

Anyway. Thank you again for reading!

Series this work belongs to: