Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
NarutoUzamaki, the best fics I've read on ao3, crying shitting and throwing up over how cute these fics are, Tales of the Utterly Gutsy Shinobi
Stats:
Published:
2021-10-15
Completed:
2023-01-22
Words:
551,328
Chapters:
70/70
Comments:
2,059
Kudos:
1,793
Bookmarks:
377
Hits:
94,098

A change of color

Chapter 37: To tip the scales

Notes:

Long chapters ahead :)  (the next few are all over 10k)

Chapter Text

 

 

 

 

“Ah. I see you brought someone with the most excellent chakra control.”

Kakashi shrugs, clicking his tongue. “You said that was needed.”

Genma smirks, shifting the toothpick to the other corner of his mouth. “That I did.” He grins at Neji. “So, ready to flash through time and space?”

Neji blinks. “I thought that, while it is a spacetime jutsu, it only flashes through space?” He shoots Kakashi a look. “Is there a temporal component to it?”

Kakashi opens his mouth to respond, but Genma is faster.

He shakes his head. “No. Not in execution. In theory, yes, but that is beyond my abilities.” He snorts. “Thankfully.”

Kakashi grimaces a bit. “Yeah, the last we need right now is a messy timeline, too.”

Neji hums, something shivering in his voice. “Not interested in changing the past?”

Kakashi quirks an eyebrow, tone dry. “The present is messy enough as it is. I’m not sure we’d be able to help there.”

Neji blinks. 

Kakashi shoots him a look, and then sighs. “I know, I regret lots of things, too.” He grimaces. “But changing something in the past would have ripple effects to the present. And no-one can predict those. So we would be stuck in an ever widening rift between what we know and what we want, because we would try to just fix that small thing, too, in order to get what we want…” He sniffs, laughing, once. “And we could not lock the memories of ourselves, right, not without mastering the seals, so…” He trails off.

Both Neji and Genma stare at him.

He shrugs, and clears his throat. “Long story.”

Genma clicks his tongue. “Oooookay.” He exhales, and then addresses Neji. “This jutsu may be only be taught by those who know it, and who are in direct service of the ruling Hokage.” He shrugs. “That is the rule that Sensei Minato put up at least, though we are obviously amending it a bit. Still, no teaching it to your clan.”

Neji blinks. “I understand.” He tilts his head. “That is why only so few people know it.”

Kakashi nods, with a sidelong look at Genma. “Indeed.” He shrugs. “I, myself, have only known of it, despite being part of the Anbu when Minato was Hokage.” He frowns, trying not to dwell on the ‘why’.

Genma quirks an eyebrow, obviously reading him well. “The Yondaime only ever taught it to a few squads… I think he wanted to… play fair.”

Kakashi quirks an eyebrow. 

Neji frowns. “Play fair?”

Genma shrugs, and then sighs. “The Yondaime killed a thousand shinobis in one instance, when he flashed from person to person. Probably by throwing his hiraishin kunai.” He shakes his head again. “Imagine if you could transport troops like that.”

Neji stares at him. “There would be no balance.”

Kakashi snorts. “No, it would definitely tip the scales of power.” He frowns, a weird premonition shivering down his spine, and he shares a glance with Genma. “Which is also why the knowledge of it is locked.” And you need a key. He frowns, wondering if Genma’s key is beneath the tattoo as well.

Neji quirks an eyebrow. “I’m surprised that it is locked, though… withholding a tool like that… a lot of people would call that treason.”

Genma snorts. “Oh yes.” He grins, sharply. “But I know he argued with the fact that Tobirama himself had come up with a lot of forbidden jutsus… and this is a derivation of Tobirama’s jutsu. So he just pointed them that way and people couldn’t or didn’t want to argue against the founding fathers…”

Kakashi exhales, in a rush. “Do you know what the derivation is? What it consists of?”

Genma nods, shifting the toothpick again. “Oh yes, the derivation is the lock itself.” He quirks an eyebrow. “You need a key.”

Neji tilts his head, the large lilac eyes watchful. “But I… do not have a key?”

Genma smirks, eyes twinkling. “How do you feel about getting an invisible tattoo?”

Kakashi grunts. “You know how to do it?”

Genma waggles his eyebrows. “So do you, right.”

Kakashi shrugs. “I know what it looks like.” So does Sora.

Genma tilts his head, reaches up to take the toothpick out of his mouth. Grins at Neji. “And I know the ink to use. So, who of us should do it?”

Neji blinks, slowly, and then shrugs, tone very dry. “If it’s invisible it doesn’t matter if it’s messed up?”

Kakashi snorts, and Genma laughs out, loudly, and then reaches up to clasp Neji’s shoulder. “Indeed.” He hums, shooting Kakashi a look. “Well then, lets go and tip the scales.”

 

Kakashi shivers, again.

 

 

 

 

*******

 

 

 

 

He runs into Karin, Suigetsu and Sasuke on his way back from training lot 11, exhausted and yet truly elated. They had gone and done Neji’s invisible tattoo, and then had started practicing, with Neji catching on extremely fast. As was to be expected, of course, but it still helped to lighten Kakashi’s spirits a bit, after all the recent events. 

 

And so it’s with a small pang in his guts, but an endurable pang, that he sees Sasuke now, sitting on some boulders off to the side, eating lunch with his… team members. 

 

Kakashi hesitates, and then steps over, raising his hand. “Yo.”

Sasuke quirks an eyebrow, his dark eyes coming up slowly. There is still anger in them, but also something that Kakashi would say is close to acceptance, but obviously hard won, if his stiff body language is anything to go by. 

Kakashi smirks grimly. Yeah, I know the feeling.

Sasuke tilts his head, tone almost neutral, but laced with warning. “He’s not here.”

Kakashi hums, with a shrug. “I can see that.” He quirks an eyebrow. “Called to help?”

Sasuke nods, once.

Kakashi exhales, slowly, trying to find a way past the hostility between them. Not that I can blame him right now. It’s a good thing that he is so pissed at me, all things considered. It means he cares.

He exhales, makes his voice neutral with an effort, and looks at Karin and Suigetsu. “I hope the two of you have settled in a bit.”

Karin shrugs, and then pushes her glasses up. Her tone is defiant, challenging, though Kakashi has the distinct impression that it is a survival mechanism, firmly in place. “As much as you can settle in a place that’s been destroyed.”

Suigetsu snorts, and Kakashi quirks an eyebrow, silently conceding the point. 

He shrugs, amicably. “Yeah, well, the timing of your visit isn’t very good, that’s true.” He hesitates, and then sits down on a boulder, too, nodding at her. “Neji told me that your mom told you a lot about Uzushiogakure?”

Karin lowers her gaze, blushing, and then nods, silently.

Kakashi narrows his eyes. Huh. So the attraction does go both ways… Seems like Neji has a thing for reddish-haired kunoichis. I wonder if it is more than attraction. He blinks, with a smirk. “There are a few Uzumakis in this village… maybe you’d like to exchange notes with them?”

Sasuke interjects, tone cold. “Naruto knows batshit about his heritage though.”He snorts, some of the warmth in his voice returning, with a sidelong glance at her. “You could tell him the sky is red I guess.” 

Karin giggles.

Kakashi clicks his tongue. “Yes, but there is also Yui-san, and a few others.”

Karin presses her lips together. “What good would it do to talk about what is lost though?” She raises her red eyes to his. “We cannot rebuild it, right?”

Kakashi weighs his head. “Who knows?” He shoots a look at Suigetsu, who had been watching silently up until now. “Uzushiogakure was called Land of Whirlpools for a reason, there were lots of eddies in the waters off the coast of it…”

Suigetsu grins at him, sharp teeth flashing. “Rollercoaster rides.”

Kakashi snorts. 

Sasuke mumbles, ‘baka’. 

Kakashi quirks an eyebrow, and then shoots him a look, tone dry. “Still a stick up your ass I see.”

Karin chokes on the sip of soup she just took, hiding her laughter in the cough. 

Sasuke glowers at her, for a long moment, and then turns to Kakashi, tone acerbic. “Still trying to seem harmless, I see.”

Kakashi narrows his eye. He clicks his tongue, the words heavy, laced with double meaning. “Right now, I do not pose a threat to you.”

Sasuke clenches his jaw, looking away. 

 

Suigetsu clicks his tongue, tone carrying a deliberate whine. “Well, if I ever get pardoned I might just as well go and try to build something in what remains of Uzushiogakure… though I need to go and find the sword first.” He grins, sharply.

Kakashi hums. “Sword?”

Suigetsu waggles his eyebrows. “We went and picked up Kubikiribōchō.” His expression turns dreamy. “Such a magnificent sword.” His face falls a bit. “I’m not sure where it is right now, though.”

Kakashi quirks an eyebrow. “I see.” He shoots a look at Sasuke, who looks away, a bit sheepishly. So, went and showed them where we left it, hmm. I wonder if you traced even more of our footsteps. He sighs, through his nose. “Well, you’re one of the Mist’s… I believe Zabuza would be pleased.”

Suigetsu grins at him. 

Karin puts her bowl away, fidgeting a bit. “So, I…”

Kakashi quirks an eyebrow, silently.

She grimaces, but continues, bravely. “I was wondering I you could point out some of the key parts of the village to me.”

Ah. Like the Hyuuga complex? Kakashi blinks, and then gives her an eye-smile. “Sure.”

 

Sasuke interjects, tone collected, all things considered. “Itachi has asked for you.”

Kakashi nods, and then shoots Karin a look. “Why don’t we go for that walk now… and then I can go by Itachi.”

Sasuke nods, silently, and then gets up. He hesitates, for along moment, his tone almost offhand, but Kakashi is anything but. “Things seem to be a bit better.”

Kakashi clicks his tongue, closing his eye for a moment. “I’m glad.”

Sasuke nods, and then leaves, walking away slowly, head held high.

 

Suigetsu waits till he is out of range, voice low. “He’s struggling.” He smiles, sharply. “We all are.”

Kakashi nods, and then pushes up. “Yes. We all are.”

 

 

 

 

 

*******

 

 

 

 

“You wanted to see me?”

Itachi nods, pushing himself up, still slowly, but Kakashi can see that the movements are stronger now, a lot more sure. 

He shoots Kakashi a look, from beneath somewhat messy hair. “Yes, Senpai.” He hesitates. “I wished to discuss Sasuke’s and my status.”

Kakashi nods, with a slight grimace. He pushes his hands into his pockets, and then steps over to some boxes serving as chairs when Itachi nods at them. He sits down on them, gratefully, the walk with Karin longer than anticipated, as she had kept making excuses to not go directly where she obviously wanted to go. It had been almost endearing. 

Kakashi wonders if he is really, truly also this transparent. God, I hope not. He snorts to himself, and then blinks, watching as Itachi settles into a comfortable position on his bed with a little sigh.

Kakashi frowns. “Your skin color is back, but you seem pretty exhausted.”

Itachi nods. “I was out for a long walk earlier with Sasuke and Naruto.”

Kakashi swallows, looking away for a moment. “I see.”

Itachi sighs, pulling the vest he wears instead of the Akatsuki cloak tighter. “I can understand, now.”

Kakashi tilts his head. “Understand?”

Itachi blushes, looking away. “How it must feel.”

“Ah.” Kakashi reaches up, rubs the bridge of his nose for a moment. “So I did interpret the signals correctly.”

Itachi snorts, just softly. “Apparently.” He grimaces, with a shrug. “I had not anticipated it. And now I cannot think of anything else.”

Kakashi hums, and then snorts. “Yeah, well, it’s a shit show.”

Itachi clears his throat, blushing even more. “Did she…”

Kakashi interjects, gently, but firmly. “You will have to talk to her.” He hesitates, and then adds, equally gently. “Just be aware that she is younger than you, too, and that you will have to answer to me if you should pressure her into this.” He clicks his tongue, shooting Itachi a look. “That is not a threat. Just a fact.”

Itachi ducks his head, just a bit. With a small smirk. “Understood.”

Kakashi looks at him, and then shakes his head, once, tone dry. “Still. It’s the tiniest bit funny.”

Itachi hums, the corner of his eyes crinkling. “Objectively, yes.”

 

They both chuckle softly, and then Kakashi shakes his head, with a sigh. “So. Your and Sasuke’s status.” He hesitates for a moment, voice a bit firmer. “I know that you were debriefed. I have read some of the reports.” He swallows, and then lowers his voice, tone almost inaudible. “Obito has been by to visit me.”

Itachi blinks, slowly, his voice very soft. “So it had indeed been him.”

Kakashi smiles, grimly. “You wanted to confirm it back then.” He never took off his mask around you?

Itachi nods. “Yes.”

Kakashi frowns. “Why?” He shrugs, tone low. “What tipped you off?”

Itachi frowns, reaching up to push a strand of hair back behind his ear. He shakes his head, once. “Little things. The way he behaved during the m… that night. The way he would seem desperately uninterested in Konoha, and yet base his decisions around Naruto and the village. The fact that…” Itachi sighs, and then returns his eyes to Kakashi’s. “The fact that his sharingan was the only one unaccounted for.” He clicks his tongue. “Before, at least.”

Kakashi hums, watching him closely. “You only said that he helped you with the… that night.” He narrows his eyes, but keeps his tone soft. “Who did you kill that night, Itachi.”

Itachi gasps soundlessly, looking away, a single tear dropping. His voice is toneless. “My parents. It was my duty.” He smiles, painfully. “But I felt every and each death.”

Kakashi exhales a shuddering breath. “I know.” Oh, Obito, and you went and killed the rest of them? What that must have done to you, despite it all. He swallows, letting the truth color his voice. “I am so sorry I could not protect you back then.”

Itachi shakes his head, slowly. “I know.” He shrugs, with a sniff. “The events that led to that night had been in motion for long years already.”

Kakashi nods, swallowing compulsively. “Yes, since before Naruto’s birth.” He snorts. “Arguably, ever since Konoha was founded.” He grimaces, staring unseeing into space. “I wonder how different it would have been if they’d made Madara Hokage, instead of Hashirama.”

Itachi weighs his head. “Maybe they wouldn’t have clashed, then.”

Kakashi nods. “Yeah, maybe.” Or maybe they would have clashed sooner, destroying it all before it could take hold. He frowns, sighing through his nose. “I heard there was a catalog of sharingan abilities in the Uchiha shrine?”

Itachi nods. “Yes. Only the clan elders and their successors were allowed to see it.”

Kakashi tilts his head. “Because of the rinnegan?”

Itachi smirks softly, and then nods. “Yes. I was very surprised to see it on the Pain that was Yahiko.”

Kakashi frowns. “Did you ever meet him? Or Nagato?”

Itachi shakes his head. “No. Konan served as a messenger, if needed. I only ever saw Yahiko and his eyes during the synchronization meetings that were needed to…” He hesitates, swallowing. 

Kakashi nods, continuing, softly. “That were needed to extract the bijous?”

Itachi nods, glumly. He sniffs, picking at a fluff on his pants. “I was very glad back then, that you and Jiraiya-san kept Naruto well protected.”

Oh yeah? Kakashi narrows his eyes. “But you and Kisame came for him nonetheless.”

Itachi smirks softly. “Though the distraction we set up for Jiraiya back then seemed perfect I expected the Sannin to look through it… and he did not disappoint. Naruto was never in any real danger.” He chuckles softly. “On the contrary to Kisame and myself, actually, since we were almost digested by a toad.”

Right. Kakashi nods, and then leans back a bit, with a frown. “Why did you join the Akatsuki back then, Itachi. Just to protect Sasuke?”

Itachi shakes his head. “No, though that was part of it. But he insisted. And I couldn’t refuse. There was always this implicit threat, hanging in the air. I tried to follow the orders, while bending them, too, for example like back then when I did not truly engage you when you came for Gaara.”

Indeed. Using doppelgängers of traitors instead… and still giving us a run for our money. Kakashi hums, voice quiet. “But you still helped them extract the bijou. Still slowed us down.”

Itachi grimaces. “The chakra flow had to be steady. There was no way I could pretend. Unfortunately.” He sighs, just softly. “I think that he… Obito, despite hating his own clan for giving up on him, for abandoning him… but he longed for his kin.” He shrugs. “He longs for connection.”

Kakashi snorts, gently, painfully, remembering his own weird conversations with Obito. “Yeah.”

 

They are both silent for a moment, dwelling on their own thoughts.

Eventually, Kakashi clears his throat. “I am not sure if we can fully pardon you.”

Itachi nods, and then shrugs. “Pardon Sasuke. That will be enough for me.” He clicks his tongue. “My death will serve as a lesson, and as a marker for this part of the history to be closed.”

Kakashi snorts, ignoring Itachi’s vaguely weirded out look, and then reaches up to rub his temple. “We’re not gonna kill you, Itachi.”

He sighs, locking their gazes, letting the humor shine through. “Even if… and that is a big if - even if Sakura would be able to forgive me if we did that…” He frowns, and then clicks his tongue. “The way of healing has proven much more successful, even a lot more lucrative, all things considered.” He shrugs. “I know that in our line of work, people die. And in this war… lots and lots of people will die.” He swallows, looking away for a long second. “But Itachi, I once had this discussion with Naruto that we only learn from our mistakes. And that is, per se, after the fact.”

He shrugs, and spreads his arms. “What good would it do if we killed you now?” He pulls a face, shakes his head. “Sasuke would hurt again, viciously, Sakura would hurt for the rest of her life, also. The only ones actually pleased would be some hardliners in the village and council, and, honestly, they are the ones who always pushed, and, lets be real, they are the ones actually responsible for this whole mess.” 

He breaks off, grimacing, raising his gaze to Itachi’s once more. “Still. We cannot fully pardon you, simply because of what the past is.” He clicks his tongue. “Just as we couldn’t fully pardon Orochimaru if we ever catch him, despite it all.”

Itachi frowns, with a quirk of his eyebrow. “Orochimaru?”

Kakashi waves at him, with a long sigh, feeling suddenly exhausted. “Long story.” He grimaces, with a shake of his head. “We will see. It might come to lifelong confinement, or limitation of movement, if you’re lucky to the village limits.”

Itachi blinks, and then smiles, just softly. “And I would be happy for it.”

Kakashi nods, but quirks an eyebrow. “Yeah, well, it’s not up to me.” He clicks his tongue. “But I’ll see what I can do.”

Itachi hums. “It’s not up to you yet, Senpai.” His eyes twinkle. “From what I heard.”

Kakashi grunts. “Oh, no, not you too.”

Itachi chuckles, quietly, and then shoots Kakashi a look. “I was always impressed that someone with your powers was so uninterested in the power itself.”

Kakashi grimaces, and then snorts. “Yeah, well, I guess that runs in the family. My father was pretty powerful, too, but he decided early on to focus on his family instead, on…” He trails off, his throat closing on the word ‘living’. 

And those with power broke him nonetheless. 

Itachi’s voice is gentle, a whisper. “If we make it through the war he will be old enough.”

Kakashi snorts again, and then reaches up to wipe at a sudden, surprising tear. “Yeah, and I will be definitely old.”

Itachi hums, and then grins. “Not that old though. Old enough to wear the hat with grace.”

Kakashi rolls his eyes, and then gets up, shaking his head, tone deliberately light. “Why did we rescue you again?”

Itachi chuckles, and then sobers again. “Tenzou-san has been very quiet around me.”

Kakashi looks down at him, and then sighs. “It’s Yamato now, officially, and he’s…” He grimaces. “I don’t think he actually thought that much about that night back then.” He shrugs. “I mean, he was even younger. And it all came back with you.” He sighs, through his nose. “I’ll speak to him.”

Itachi inclines his head. “Thank you, Senpai.”

Kakashi nods, and then sighs. “Have you eaten yet?”

Itachi shakes his head, and then pushes up, slowly. “No.” He smirks. “It would be my pleasure to accompany you to dinner once more.”

Kakashi rolls his eyes, and then snorts. “Think we can make them jealous?”

Itachi ducks his head, with a chuckle, and then shrugs, with a twinkle to his eyes. “Maybe?”

Kakashi grins, and holds the tent open for him. “Well, then. Let’s eat.”

 

 

 

 

 

*******

 

 

 

 

“You’ve been awfully quiet lately?”

Tenzou sighs, and then nods, putting his empty bowl away, while Kakashi sits down next to him. Shooting a look over at Itachi, who is sitting at another table, where he and Kakashi had eaten, far away enough not to be able to listen in. His dark eyes come up to Kakashi’s for a moment. “It’s difficult right now. I… remember that night. So does Yugao.”

Kakashi hums. “She does not want Itachi here?”

Tenzou shakes his head, slowly. “No. And… I cannot really blame her. Someone who went through that district and did that to children…” Tenzou grimaces. “No matter the reasons…” 

Kakashi swallows, watching Itachi sit there, hunched over, seeming small and frail. But you also know he did it to save the village… but the reason pales beneath what has happened, doesn’t it. He clicks his tongue, lowers his voice. “And yet you know the story. You know who our adversary is… do you still believe that Itachi did all that… alone?”

Tenzou presses his lips together, tone hard. “He let it happen. Agreed to let it happen. Made a deal for it happening.” He inhales, deeply, tapping his finger twice. “I just…” He shakes his head, falling silent.

Kakashi grimaces, softly. Yes. And so did our Hokage. So did we. He tries to keep the sting out of the words. “And yet you and I both, we have killed and hunted, long before we understood the reasons behind it.” He shoots Tenzou a look, with a quirked eyebrow. “Don’t tell me you were always aware of the repercussions. Evaluated the age of those we killed.”

Tenzou looks away, fidgeting.

Kakashi smirks, bitterly, looking down to the ground. “It always seems different, for oneself, doesn’t it.”

Tenzou hisses. “It was.” He grimaces, shaking his head. 

Kakashi reaches up, and rubs a hand over his face and mask. He knows he sounds exhausted. “We cannot continue on the path of revenge. This war will thin out our ranks already. We need people to learn from their mistakes. Make reparations.” He hesitates. “Besides…”

Tenzou shoots him a look when he trails off, mouth a thin line. “Besides?”

Kakashi exhales, deeply, with a shrug. “Sakura would never forgive us if we pressed for his death.”

Tenzou stares at him. His tone carries something Kakashi cannot place. “Sakura-chan?”

Kakashi shrugs. He clicks his tongue, tone acerbic. “Fate can be so funny, sometimes.”

Tenzou grunts. “Indeed.” 

They both stare unseeing at the ground for a long moment. 

Eventually, Tenzou frowns. “I still don’t know what to do with him… He’s…” 

Kakashi hums. “Rubbing you the wrong way?”

Tenzou nods, with a sheepish grin, while scratching his head. “It’s annoying the shit out of me to be honest.”

Kakashi snorts. “Yeah, well, that’s because you’re a good man.” He gives Tenzou an eye-smile. “And, personally, I’m glad for it.” He shrugs. “Itachi will have to work for the acceptance and the forgiveness.” He clicks his tongue. “By himself and others.” He exhales, shudderingly. “We both know that will be hard enough.”

Tenzou is silent for a long moment, before he nods, once, though his tone is still hard. “Will that be his only punishment?”

Kakashi shakes his head, slowly. “I’m not sure. Probably not.” He exhales. “But it won’t be capital punishment, that I’m pretty sure of.”

Tenzou exhales, too, in a rush. Tone tired. “Alright.” He hesitates, and then snorts. “At least I’ll be able to diffuse Yugao’s ire a bit with the bond information.”

Kakashi hums, vaguely amused for some reason. “She’s very intense?”

Tenzou smirks softly, his dark eyes twinkling. “She’s a lioness.”

Kakashi nods, remembering a similar comment in regards to Kurenai, seemingly so long ago. He clears his throat. “That’s good.” He grimaces, and then leans in, tone turning imploring. “Don’t spread the news in regards to Itachi and Sakura though… At least not yet. I’m dead otherwise.”

Tenzou snorts, and then shakes his head, once, with a sidelong glance. “And we don’t want that.”

 

Kakashi pulls a face. “I think Sasuke would prefer me that way right now.” 

Tenzou’s grin spreads, grows more real. “Yeah, well, he’ll come around.”

Kakashi grunts.

Tenzou frowns, watching the visible part of Kakashi’s expression tightly. “How is Naruto?”

Kakashi grimaces. “Hurt. Getting better. Furious, but…” He sighs, deeply, and then shrugs. “He came by. We talked. He knows.”

Tenzou quirks an eyebrow, tone a mix between incredulity and deadpan. “He knows??” He shoots a look around the space. “And he’s not here, with you?”

Kakashi smirks, grimly. “It’s complicated.”

Tenzou blinks. “Huh.” 

Kakashi clears his throat. He cannot keep all the sudden, fatalistic humor from his voice. “He actually thought that my bond might have been with you, since I didn’t say anything when I remembered Loran.”

There is no response, and after a moment Kakashi turns his head, only to find Tenzou stare at him, flabbergasted. Kakashi shrugs. “Well, I mean, theoretically…” He narrows his eyes, Tenzou still staring. “I see that leaves you shell-shocked. That bad, huh?”

Tenzou’s half open mouth snaps shut, and he wildly shakes his head, the head-frame he’s wearing glinting with the movement. He stammers a bit. “No, I mean, yes, I mean not like that, Senpai, I…” He sighs, deeply. “I just had this impulse to go and shake Naruto, very hard.”

Kakashi snorts. He swallows the bitterness down. “Well, yeah, don’t be too hard on him. Our bond is a very, very complicated one… and he hasn’t even recognized it yet.”

Tenzou frowns, rubbing his face, tone muffled. “You really think so? Still?”

Kakashi shrugs, with a long sigh. And then he chuckles. “After I recognized it I was helpless to resist it… I mean, I… I tried to concentrate on the other things, but… and you remember, that mission where I was used as a puppet to get at the sharingan?” Tenzou nods, and Kakashi clicks his tongue, with a shrug. “Naruto was flustered when his friends told him they knew. Absolutely flustered. It was a knee-jerk reaction.” He shrugs again. “I know for a fact that I don’t care anymore, since I remember. I only yearn.” And feel a million other things.

Tenzou frowns, and then shakes his head, slowly. “But it’s not compulsive, is it? I mean, you still decided…” He trails off.

Kakashi cackles harshly. “I still decided to be a better man?” He hisses. “Oh yes.” He swallows. “I’m fighting every second.”

Tenzou nods, slowly. “And it’s costing you.”

Kakashi grimaces, looking away, staring at Itachi’s hunched over figure.

Tenzou follows his gaze, sighs, deeply, tone tired. “Just as it’s costing him.”

Kakashi clicks his tongue. “Not quite the same, but…” Yes. Our decisions to do the right thing cost us.

Tenzou groans, deeply. “Ah, damn.”

Kakashi shoots him a look, with a quirked eyebrow.

Tenzou growls. “Now I cannot hate the idiot anymore.”

 

Kakashi snorts, and then chuckles, shaking his head. “Good.”

 

 

At least something.

 

 

 

 

*******

 

 

 

 

“Sensei!”

Kakashi raises his eyes from the pages of Icha Icha Tactics, locking them with Naruto’s excited ones, now suddenly very near, as Naruto has jumped up onto the branch of the tree Kakashi is sitting in to crouch in front of him, mobile face easily transmitting his agitation.

Kakashi snaps the book shut, with a frown. He tries not to let it show how relieved he is, that Naruto has sought him out… for whatever might have happened. “Naruto?”

Naruto flops down onto the branch, right in front of his crossed ankles, legs dangling down on either side of the branch. “Sensei, the toads just reverse summoned me. Right in the middle of my ramen, I was so pissed.” He snickers, and looks away for a moment, with a small frown. “But when I came back I was asked for an autograph… that was very weird.”

Kakashi clicks his tongue, with a hum. “Well, you’re becoming famous?” The toads summoned you?

Naruto blushes, just a bit, and then shrugs, a bit sheepishly. “Yeah, well, it was still weird. Did anybody ever ask you for your autograph?”

Kakashi chuckles, and then shakes his head. “No. My legacy is dripping with blood, I don’t think it will be something that people will fawn over.”

Naruto rolls his eyes. “Now you’re playing stupid, Sensei. Of course they will, you’re awesome.”

Kakashi stares at him, and Naruto blushes, spectacularly. With a shrug.

Kakashi clears his throat. Naruto, I’m so grateful you’re making an effort. Let me make one, too. “I’m glad that…”

Naruto interjects, hastily. “Yeah, well, and anyways, the elder toad wanted to tell me of another one of his visions, you know.”

Kakashi swallows, pushing the instinctual pain at the quite obvious rejection down. Deep down. His voice is gruff. “I see.” He frowns. “What vision?”

Naruto exhales, swinging his legs a bit. “He said I would have to meet an octopus on an island that would guide me.”

Kakashi blinks, watching Naruto’s carefully expectant face. “I… see.” That matches with our plans of the rumors in regards to the shape of Killer-B‘s bijou are to be trusted. He clicks his tongue. “Anything else?”

Naruto shrugs. And then whispers, with a small blush. “They gave me the key.”

Kakashi tilts his head. “The key?”

Naruto licks his lips, eyes burning into Kakashi’s now. “The key to my seal.”

Oh. Kakashi stares at him, at the twitching whiskers, belying Naruto’s otherwise calm exterior. 

Kakashi exhales, with an effort. Lets his sincerity bleed through. “That is awesome.” It means they trust you enough to find your own path now… to find a way. 

 

Naruto hums, and then grimaces, with a chuckle. “I could have done with it not involving Gerotora forcing himself down my throat though.”

Kakashi blinks. And then croaks. “What?”

Naruto rolls his eyes, and then leans in, hands pressing on Kakashi’s shins. “Apparently the key needs to be in the body to be accessible when I want it, so he forced himself down my throat into whatever weird metaphysical space he‘s in now.”

Kakashi blinks. “But a key toad is…”

Naruto nods, with eyes opened almost comically wide. Whispering.“Right? I thought my throat would burst.”

Kakashi shivers, and stares, trying very, very, very hard not to imagine. 

Naruto stares back, gaze… Kakashi rips his gaze away, heart beating in his throat. His voice is gruff. “You’re pulling my leg.” You’re deliberately torturing me.

Naruto bites his lips. “Nope.” He leans even closer, the pressure on Kakashi’s legs increasing. His voice drops so low even Kakashi has to strain to hear it. “I’m glad I knew how to swallow past a constriction already.” The eyes narrow. “You know, swallow it down.”

Kakashi stares, caught. His voice is a croak when he finally finds some words. “Why are you…” Telling me this? Doing this? He swallows, compulsively. 

Naruto blinks, and then shifts, moving up and into Kakashi’s lap in one swift movement, legs still dangling down, hands on Kakashi’s shoulders. 

His eyes burn into Kakashi’s single visible one. “I’ve been thinking.”

Kakashi swallows, echoing, dumbly. “Thinking.”

Naruto nods, clicking his tongue. His tone is decidedly, carefully chipper. “Yeah, I mean, now that I know…” He hesitates, tilting his head. Kakashi tries to ignore the looks of the passer-bys below, feeling their gazes. Naruto continues, mercilessly, with a bit of a grin. “I mean, now that I know, now that we know, and now that you know about me, and Sasuke…” Naruto tilts his head, almost innocently. “We can now discuss things?”

Kakashi swallows, fighting the heat in his groin with all his being. Trying not to inhale too deeply. The words grate. “You call this discussing?”

Naruto grins, sharply, and then the fangs grow sharp, elongated, and Kakashi cannot help himself, heat pools in his gut. Naruto’s nostrils twitch. “I think I’ve earned the right to find things out by myself.” He tilts his head. “Haven’t I… Sensei?”

Kakashi exhales a shuddering breath, feeling light-headed. And bitter. “Sure. Just remember that things do not only bend though. Sometimes they break.” And not all can be fixed by kintsugi.

Naruto quirks his eyebrows, eyes glittering. “Things and people, yes.”

 

They stare at each other, for a long, long moment. 

And then Naruto moves back again, in one fluid movement once more, straddling the branch in front of Kakashi’s feet again.

Kakashi drops the book he’s been clinging to for his damned life down into his lap. Almost nonchalantly.

Naruto grins, dangerously. 

Kakashi swallows, tone a harsh whisper. “Enjoy having this power over me?”

Naruto inclines his head. “You asked me this before.”

Kakashi nods, looking away for a moment. “It’s still true.”

Naruto blinks, very slowly. Tone hard. “Yes.”

Kakashi nods again, with a small, brittle smile. “Talk will be all over town… sure that Sasuke won’t be pissed?” And you obviously don’t mind anymore.

Naruto shrugs, uncaringly. “I’ll be sure to redirect his energy.”

Right. Kakashi looks away, with a shiver. He clears his throat. “When exactly…” He trails off, swallowing the question down. When exactly have you become this sexually confident? He frowns, admitting to himself that Naruto had always been pushy, and pushing, and… This is only another extension of this behavior. Another facet. Another part of him that clicks into place. Kakashi blinks, watching Naruto watch him. And he is only doing it to me, because I am safe, despite it all. He’s using all the friction and all the knowledge he has of me, pushing my limits. 

To find his own.

He snorts.

Naruto quirks an eyebrow, blue eyes burning. “What is it?”

Kakashi shakes his head, slowly. “I just…” He smirks. “You know, Naruto, all things considered, this is incredibly you.”

 

Naruto snorts, and then giggles, some levity returning, somehow. He pushes the tip of his tongue to his front teeth for a moment. Pointing with a thumb at himself. “That is because I’m just incredible.”

It’s Kakashi’s turn to snort, and he does so, with a shake of his head. Letting humor color his voice. “And now you sound like Jiraiya.”

Naruto giggles again, and then leans in, waggling his eyebrows. “I still want to know what chapter the reference to you two is in.”

Kakashi quirks an eyebrow and then leans in, whispering. “No.”

Naruto groans, throwing his head back, but there is laughter in his voice. “Ah, come on, Sensei.”

Kakashi grins, and then pretends to be offended, raising the book to look at it, tone deliberately put on. “My sex life is none of your business, young man.”

Naruto snorts, and then leans forward one more time, hand on Kakashi’s knee this time. 

His eyes glitter, the voice breathless. “Not yet.”

 

And he’s gone, and Kakashi tries to breathe, breathe, while willing his instant hard-on down, goddammit, his heart hammering in his chest. 

 

 

The thought is vaguely funny.

 

 

 

I am so, so doomed.

 

 

 

 

But there is a tiny flame of hope there, somewhere, blooming in his chest, too. 

 

 

 

Kakashi closes his eyes for a long time, and then decides to fan it, gently, circumstances be damned.

 

 

 

 

*******

 

 

 

 

"Here. I want you to take this along.“

Tenzou frowns, looking down at the blade in Kakashi’s hand, and then up at Tsunade, who watches grimly, before looking back at Kakashi. "Are you sure, Senpai?” He hesitates, before continuing. "I mean I have heard of these blades. There are only a few of them left…“

Kakashi nods. "Yes. Which is exactly why I want you to take mine with you… there is another one here. If anything happens…“ He trails off, words stuck on ‘I hope I can flash to you‘.  I could flash to him, as well, but to you… I need to be able to reach you, too.

Tenzou nods. "I understand.“ He carefully takes the hiraishin kunai from Kakashi and puts it away with a short nod. "Let’s hope we don’t need it.“

Kakashi quirks an eyebrow. "Indeed.“

 

He inhales deeply and then turns to the others, standing in a little group a few meters off. 

Around a loudly exclaiming Guy, who raises his fist into the air right now, cheering. Aoba is rolling his eyes, while Naruto is giggling. 

Sasuke is standing there, next to him, close, with an indecipherable expression. 

He looks up, seeming to feel Kakashi’s gaze, and they look at each other for a long, long moment, and then Sasuke nods, once. 

Kakashi blinks, tearing his gaze away.

 

Itachi’s voice is low. “It must be terrible for you to let him go.”

Kakashi swallows, inclining his head, voice low. “It cannot be very comfortable to let Sasuke go either...”

Itachi hums. “No.” He clears his throat, drawing the blanket closer around himself. “But it’s not the same. And…” He shrugs. “I know Naruto will keep him safe.”

Kakashi chuckles, drily. “Yeah.” He shoots Itachi a look. “Still feeling cold all the time?”

Itachi shrugs again, lightly. “My metabolism was compromised for years. It makes sense that it takes a while to heal.”

Kakashi nods, with a hum. “Indeed.” He frowns, watching Naruto grin up at Guy now, listing everything he packed, to Sasuke rolling his eyes. He clicks his tongue. “When you encountered Naruto back then… what did you two discuss?”

Itachi weighs his head. “I just… wanted to know why he chased so diligently after Sasuke.” He snorts, tilting his head at the small group. “Guess I should have seen this coming.”

“Hmmm.” Kakashi grimaces, crossing his arms. 

Itachi smirks, and then leans in a bit. “I also gave him a crow.”

Kakashi frowns, turning to look at Itachi. “A crow?”

Itachi nods, while exhaling deeply. “Yes. I… wanted to give him a chance to counter Sasuke’s Mangekyo should he activate it against Naruto… I conjured a physical manifestation of the crow I put the power of Shisui’s eye into… and I gave it to Naruto. It’s programmed to counter a Mangekyo activation with Kotoamatsukami. I decided to do that after the test I put him through when you came for Gaara.”

Kakashi blinks, slowly. Such a nice test. I bet the men you used as puppets would disagree. He frowns. But then they were traitors, were they not? They would have been dead anyways. The words come haltingly. “That is… nice. I guess.” He quirks an eyebrow. “So where is the crow now? I mean, I don’t see it circling round?”

 

Itachi opens his mouth to respond, but Naruto interjects, his tone a heavy mix between glee and viciousness, appearing in front of them, obviously having stepped up to them sneakily. “He made it go down my throat… it was almost as big as the toad later. Good practice I guess.”

Kakashi’s gaze snaps to his, the big blue eyes sparkling with mischief and affection. What?

Naruto grins, tongue between his teeth. “I told you I had practice swallowing something like that down already.”

Itachi coughs, loudly, averting his face, to try to hide his amusement, to no avail.

Kakashi stares. Glowers. Naruto grins, while everybody else is not breathing.

Sasuke sighs eventually, loudly, stepping closer with crossed arms. His tone is acerbic. “If I didn’t know better, I would say you’re flirting, teme.”

Kakashi’s gaze snaps to him, but Naruto just grins, nose scrunching. His voice carries a leer, waggling his eyebrows. And no apology. “But you do know better, right.”

Sasuke’s gaze gentles, just a bit, while a smile tugs at the corners of his mouth. He reaches up to push his knuckles over Naruto’s cheek, and the tender gesture hurts, makes Kakashi avert his gaze, hastily. 

Wondering what exactly Sasuke and Naruto may talk about.

What and how much they discuss. 

If there are any secrets between them, now.

 

Sasuke’s voice is low. “Come. We want to leave now.” He looks up at Kakashi for a moment, expression kind and knowing, and then steps over and between Naruto and Kakashi, deliberately, and Kakashi takes an instinctual step back, lowering his gaze. 

With an effort. 

 

Deferring, fighting down his own instincts, within an inch of his life.

 

Sasuke draws Itachi into a careful embrace, and Kakashi stares at the ground, unseeing. 

 

Burning.

 

Fingers on his jaw and chin make him look up, the blue eyes capturing his gaze, unrelentingly. 

Naruto stares at him, like that, for long moments, and Kakashi lets him, unable to move, unable to do anything against that simple, possessive gesture. 

This gesture, that Iruka uses, too.

This gesture, that marks him, somehow.

 

He can feel the weight of the gazes of the people around.

 

Naruto smirks, eventually, voice a whisper. “The plants are in the shelters, no need to look after them this time.”

Kakashi swallows, with a soft shrug. Carefully not dislodging the fingers. “They’re better taken care of than I could possibly do then.”

Naruto hums, with a slight frown. He licks his lips, his voice almost inaudible, just between them, despite Itachi and Sasuke hovering close. “What if I can’t…” He trails off, biting his lips. 

Kakashi closes his eyes for a moment, and then steps in, breaking the hold after all, and enveloping Naruto in a hug, pushing his face into that smell, the smell he needs, the feeling he needs, pushes all his feelings into the words. “I believe in you.”

Not saying the words he wants to say.

 

But knowing Naruto hears them, nonetheless.

 

I love you.

 

 

 

 

And Naruto sinks into his arms, uncaringly, voice breaking on the word. “Sensei.”

 

 

 

 

*******

 

 

 

 

The ship vanishes, a dot on the horizon, and blood drips from the sharingan, the pain of overuse from recording too detailed for too long the only thing tethering Kakashi to reality.

 

 

 

Kakashi doesn’t wipe the blood away, ignoring the looks.

 

 

He turns his feet back to Konoha, and then back to the tower, to attend a fucking meeting for new friggin’ headbands.

 

 

 

 

 

*******

 

 

 

 

The messenger turtle arrives, suddenly, after a few weeks, disoriented and unable to speak and Kakashi does not think, does not ask Tsunade who stares at it in alarm, just does, reality blurring.

 

 

 

Nothing, nothing, bitter and cold.

 

 

 

Kakashi crashes into Tenzou, who sits on the deck at the stern of the ship. 

 

“Oof.”

 

Kakashi pushes up, eyes wild. Tone frantic. “What is it. Why have you called?”

Tenzou grunts, pushing up slowly, rubbing his neck. He grimaces. “Called?”

Kakashi glowers at him. “The messenger turtle. It arrived earlier. I came. What happened?”

Tenzou blinks, tilting his head. “Messenger turtle, Senpai?”

Kakashi gnashes his teeth. Tries to keep the ire contained, the ire that burns with irritation and adrenaline, making himself slow down a bit. “Yes. Guy sent his messenger turtle. What happened?”

 

Tenzou blinks, and then very slowly turns his head and looks up to the bow of the ship, where something green and miserable is hanging across the railing. 

His tone is careful. “I think that may have been a misunderstanding?” He shrugs, while Kakashi stares at Guy, who is retching, again. “I mean, we had a few smaller adventures, but…” He shrugs again.

Kakashi blinks, slowly, and then flops down on the deck, rubbing his face. 

He grunts. “I see.” He sniffs, and then exhales, all the energy leaving him suddenly, the soft wind nice and soothing, lulling, matching the tranquil, moonlit waters. There’s hardly any movement, and Kakashi frowns, shooting the still retching Guy a look. 

Grimacing.

 

Tenzou nods, seeing the look, tone low. “He started getting sick as soon as we started out… I don’t think it’s actually the movement, more the fact that we are, indeed, on a ship.”

Kakashi quirks an eyebrow, pulling a face. “I see.” Poor Guy. He shoots Tenzou a look. “You could have actually called and asked for replacement?”

Tenzou shakes his head, with a sigh. “No, he insisted. He said he’s watching over Naruto and nothing, not even his own body, can change that.”

Kakashi snorts, and then smiles softly. “Yep, that sounds like him.”

Tenzou smirks. And then tilts his head down at the deck. “He’s sleeping. It’s hard enough to have him up here during the day, he’s bored out of his mind, and letting everyone know, too.” Kakashi snorts, while Tenzou rolls his eyes. “I’ve none too subtly told them to hole up during the night.” He clicks his tongue. “And I’ve made their cabin soundpr…” He trails off, blushing, furiously.

 

Kakashi tries to relax. And keep the fire from his voice. “I see.”

Tenzou fidgets. “They’re teenagers, you know. Almost adult teenagers. I mean…”

Kakashi’s tone is too light, caustic. “Yeah, I remember, thank you, Tenzou.”

Tenzou mumbles. “Yamato, Senpai.”

Kakashi doesn’t answer.

 

Eventually Tenzou speaks again, tone careful. “Will you return immediately or stay a while?”

Kakashi hesitates, watching the smooth surface of the water for a long moment. He exhales, shaking his head once. “I’m not sure I can return right away - while I have no real memory of the trip I… know that it took a moment. And that I know that I don’t have the energy yet for the return trip.”

Tenzou nods, with a hum. “I see.” He shrugs. “Well, we’re almost there anyways. I received a note via a sea gull earlier.” He turns his head to shoot a look at Guy. “I’m actually quite glad.”

Kakashi nods, with a sigh. 

 

And then Tenzou reaches up, a bit hesitantly, and bonks Kakashi over the head.

Lightly.

 

Kakashi blinks, flabbergasted, staring at him, and then it clicks, and he grins, broadly. “You remember.”

Tenzou snorts, ducking his head. “I do, now.”

Kakashi tilts his head, tone vaguely amused, while reaching up to rub the smarting spot. “When did you remember?”

Tenzou shrugs, with a small grin. “Just the other day… the sun glinted off the water, and I stared at the mast, and I thought that it had glinted off the towers of Loran, too, and bam, there it was.”

Kakashi chuckles, quirking an eyebrow. He clicks his tongue. “And? Thoughts?”

Tenzou hums. “The Yondaime was truly something else.”

Kakashi swallows, the pain beautiful for a long moment. His voice cracks on the words. “He was.” He swallows again, past the constriction in his throat. “So was Kushina.” And the others.

Tenzou nods, voice low and teasing. “And you crushed so hard on Naruto. Right there. Pretending so hard not to care…” He snickers. 

Kakashi colors, viciously. “Yeah, well…” He trails off, to Tenzou chuckling softly.

Tenzou sobers slowly, running his fingers along the lines of wood on the deck. “As Anbu, I can totally understand the Yondaime’s reasoning…” He looks up, shares a look with Kakashi, who blinks the sudden tears away. “But as a fath… but with the experience of knowing Aiko…” His voice drops to a whisper. “To know all this and to… let it happen…”

Kakashi shudders, looking away for a long moment. His voice is raw when he speaks again. “I never understood the pain in his eyes, after. I mean, I was still very young, and stupid, but…” He grimaces. 

 

And then he changes the subject, with an effort, but also with delight. “So. Aiko sees you as her father?”

Tenzou blushes, looking away, and then reaches up to pinch the bridge of his nose for a moment. He chuckles. “Yeah, well. I…” He shoots a look at Kakashi. “We want to make it official. After the war.”

Kakashi grins, broadly, and then reaches out, drawing Tenzou into a half-embrace. “That makes me so happy.”

Tenzou ducks his head. “Thank you, Senpai.” He chuckles, and then sobers, slowly. “I hope we’ll make it.”

So do I. Kakashi blinks, and then sniffs, not answering. 

Tenzou shoots him a look. “How far are the preparations?”

Kakashi drops the arm again, with a sigh, pulling his legs up and holding them with his arms. “Another two weeks, or so, maybe. The weapons have arrived, so have the new hitai-ates. We’re waiting for some provisions still. The headquarters will be in Kumogakure.”

Tenzou nods, and then frowns. “The civilians?”

Kakashi shrugs, with a grunt. “The shelters. We have no idea where and how the Zetsus will attack…” He grimaces. “And the kids are already used to it, and have set up camp there so to speak, so Iruka thought it would make sense to just stay there. We‘re sending some of the older ones to Sora and others though. They’re really excited about that.” He snorts. “They set up a few rooms for school for those staying already, to everybody’s… delight.”

Tenzou snorts, softly. “Oh, damn.”

 

Kakashi smiles, and then looks at the lightening up horizon. His tone is a bit wistful. “Another day.”

Tenzou hums, leaning in to bump into Kakashi, gently, on purpose. “If I remember correctly, it’s your birthday today.”

Kakashi frowns, unable to pinpoint the emotion the comment elicits. “Yeah. 31. Imagine that.”

Tenzou grunts, laying down on the deck. Tone dry. “We’ll have to get you a cake.”

Kakashi shakes his head once, tone dry. “Don’t you dare.”

Tenzou chuckles. “Well, I got a big cake last month. Walnut cream pie.” He sighs dreamily.

Kakashi smirks softly. “Good.” He turns his head, quirks an eyebrow. “I don’t like sweets anyways.”

Tenzou shrugs, with a small grin. “Ah, well, you’ll have to suck it up anyways, Senpai, just wait until I tell Naruto what day it is.”

Kakashi grunts. Repeating. “Don’t you dare.”

Tenzou grins, eyes closed. “Just imagine all the fuss he’ll make.”

Kakashi growls. “Tenzou….”

Tenzou clicks his tongue, tone vaguely admonishing. With a grin. “Yamato, Senpai.”

Kakashi glowers at him.

Tenzou opens one eye, shoots him a look. “Well, you know, since you’re here already and have to wait until you can return you can just enjoy your break, right.”

Kakashi blinks, and then looks over at the rising sun for a long moment.

And then he sighs, deeply, and shuffles to lay down on the deck as well, with a sigh. “You’re probably right.” Though I might need to send Tsunade a message. In a moment.

Tenzou smirks. “I usually am.”

And Kakashi grins. “Shut up, Tenzou.”

Tenzou cackles. His voice carries his smirk. “Just one more month, too.“

 

 

And Kakashi shakes his head and closes his eyes, basking in the still cool air and golden light.

 

 

Just a moment.

 

 

Just this single moment.

 

 

 

*******

 

 

 

Naruto literally doesn’t give a shit, squealing when he sees Kakashi, flying into his embrace. 

Despite everything. 

Kakashi chuckles, lightly patting his back, while trying to ignore Sasuke’s vaguely pinched expression. Yeah, yeah, I totally get it. I would feel the same. He swallows, and steps back, inhaling deeply as he does so. Shivering with want. 

Missing Naruto, immediately. 

 

He smiles the feeling away. “Easy, easy, Naruto. It’s only been a few weeks?“

Naruto grins at him, eyes alight, reaching out to shake him a bit. “Happy birthday, Sensei!”

Kakashi blinks, and then turns his gaze at Tenzou, shooting him a withering look. “I hate you.”

Tenzou grins, crossing his arms with a sidelong gaze at Aoba. His voice sounds almost sincere. “It’s too bad we don’t have the ingredients for a big cake. I hear Kakashi adores a good sugar-rush.”

Kakashi narrows his eyes. 

Naruto exclaims, loudly, clapping his hands. “Oh, we have to find a way to get you something special!”

Guy calls over, still keeping the railing in a death grip, stammering breathlessly around obvious bouts of nausea. “Just… ugh… just send the… blergh, just send the ninken, my… my rival.”

Tenzou pipes up, helpfully. “Right, you do need to send the Godaime a report, don’t you.”

Sasuke’s dark eyes are glinting with mischievous humor, deeply drenched in vaguely mean gloating. “And soon.”

Kakashi glowers, and then sighs, defeatedly, when none of the people around him make any move of moving away. Or looking somewhere else. “Fine.”

He bends down. “Kuchyose no jutsu.”

Pakkun appears in a puff of smoke. “Boss.”

Kakashi opens his mouth, but Naruto beats him to it, dropping to his knees in front of the little dog, gesticulating wildly.

His voice matches his obvious excitement, word tumbling over themselves. “Pakkun, so good to see you. Please let baa-chan know that everything is alright. And we need you to go and get some ingredients for a cake for us, since it’s Kakashi’s birthday!!”

Pakkun blinks at him. Echoing, a bit taken aback. “Ingredients.”

Kakashi tries. “Yeah, well, never mind, just tell the Godaime everything is fine and that I’ll be back soon, and…”

Tenzou interjects, tone gleeful. “And then go by Yugao please, and ask her to give you the ingredients for the cake she made for my birthday, only with chocolate. I know she always has the basics at home.” Everybody looks at him, and he blushes, softly, stammering a bit. “She’s a really good cook?”

Naruto grins at him. “Oh, I didn’t know you had a sweet tooth, Sensei Yamato.”

Tenzou’s blush deepens, his expression vaguely sheepish. “Yeah, well.” He shrugs, and then leans down to Pakkun, with a loud whisper. “And ask her for some candles, too.”

Kakashi grunts, pained. “That’s really not necessary?” And chocolate? Chocolate? You know of my seal, why do you…. Ah. Kakashi blinks. You want to rewrite the emotions connected to the taste. The thought changes inflection, into vaguely amused annoyance. Ass.

Sasuke’s dark eyes glint. “Yes it is.”

Kakashi shoots him a skunk eye. And then another one at Tenzou. 

Naruto grins up at him, while scratching Pakkun, vigorously. “And of course it would be cool if you would all come, too?”

Pakkun grunts, undulating into the scratching fingers while pretending to be annoyed. “I’ll see if the others want to come.” He shoots Kakashi a look. “See you later, then, boss.”

Kakashi nods, with a deep sigh. “Yeah.”

Naruto reaches to scratch Pakkun’s belly for a moment, and then the little dog vanishes with another puff of smoke, and Kakashi stares glumly at the spot he was in, wishing his pack could just reverse summon him, too. Like the toads. 

Naruto chuckles quietly. “You’re wishing you could go with him.”

Kakashi shrugs, a bit listlessly. “That transparent, huh.”

Naruto frowns, sitting back on his haunches. “Why don’t you ce…”

Guy interjects, tone imploring but still stammering. “That… may be… a tale for… another time.”

Kakashi grimaces, sending him a thankful look.

Naruto blinks, while Tenzou frowns, shooting him a look. Sasuke tilts his head.

Aoba sighs, deeply, and then claps his hand. “Well then. Time to clean out the galley.”

 

Naruto groans.

 

It’s Kakashi’s turn to grin. 

Just the tiniest bit meanly.

 

 

 

 

*******

 

 

 

 

All in all, the cake isn’t half bad.

 

Kakashi can see that Tenzou has obviously had a lot of practice baking, with Yugao of course, and Naruto was obviously ecstatic to help.

 

Which had given Kakashi time to dangle his feet over the railing next to Guy, far enough and upwind from him to not get sick from the smell as well, but close enough to try to extend some kind of comfort, by sheer presence.

At some point, Guy had even smiled, just a bit.

 

That had been right before Naruto had showed him the freshly baked, and still steaming cake.

 

At that point all had been lost, and Guy had gone fully green, waving Kakashi away, firmly. Hastily. 

 

 

 

But, seriously, the cake itself isn’t half bad.

Not too sweet either. 

 

Obviously hastily put together, and uneven, vaguely botched and slanted.

 

But it’s a cake, for Kakashi.

One that his friends and Naruto had made in a way too small, hastily upgraded somehow galley.

For him.

 

 

Kakashi had felt dangerously unmoored when they’d shoved it at him. 

With a candle on it, too.

 

 

There is chocolate around Naruto’s mouth now, and Sasuke laughs at him, reaching up to wipe the smudge away. 

Tenzou’s eyes are watching him, dark and kind.

 

Kakashi blinks, looking away, remembering other cakes. Remembering another, very special cake, long ago. One with silver frosting on it. 

‘Silver, like your hair.’

 

A cake that had been meant as a means to soften the blow. And had only made it worse.

Kakashi blinks, staring down at his slice of chocolate cake now.  Or what’s left of it.

 

“What is it, Sensei?”

Kakashi looks up, looks at Naruto’s burning blue eyes, eyes that carry laughter in them right now. He pastes an eye-smile on. “Just remembering another cake.” Cakes, actually. He swallows.

Naruto blinks, and then something in his expression sobers, while his gaze flits up to Kakashi’s hair for a moment. “Yeah, I remember that, too.”

Kakashi frowns, and then nods, once. “It’s been a while.”

Naruto nods, face serious now, but kind. “It has.” He blinks. “I’m almost an adult.”

Kakashi smiles, painfully. “So they say.”

Naruto frowns, tone vaguely peeved. “You don’t agree?”

Kakashi chuckles, shaking his head, once. “No, I mean, yes, I mean…” He sighs, reaching up to rub at his forehead for a moment. “I know you’re legally an adult, soon.” Whatever that may mean for us, then. And our bond. He swallows. “But it will be a while yet until you know what that means.”

Something stubborn enters Naruto’s features. His tone is flat. “You don’t think I know what I’m doing.”

Not as much as I do… which is based in experience, solely. Experience you need to gain still. Kakashi sighs, and then reaches forward, placing a hesitant hand onto Naruto’s shoulder. “Naruto, if I may…” He hesitates, and then clicks his tongue. “My wish is that if and when…”, he trails off, swallowing compulsively, lowering his voice so the words are only audible between them, “if and when you ever come to me… you will know what I meant.”

Naruto blinks, and then tilts his head, with a bit of a scoff. “But how and when could I possibly know what you meant? I mean everybody is different? I cannot know what you meant?”

But you know what is in Sasuke’s heart, don’t you. Kakashi smiles, a bit painfully. “I know.” He shrugs. “Still.”

Naruto stares at him for a moment, and then turns on his heel and walks away, over to the dozing ninken, shaking his head.

 

Kakashi stares after him, feeling glum.

 

Sasuke’s voice pulls him from his thoughts. “Back then you gave me one of his plants.”

Kakashi frowns, turning to face him, watching the almost cold and aloof expression mix with something akin to affection. 

Sasuke smirks, just gently, though his tone stays hard. “I put it in Sakura’s room instead, when she was out.” Sasuke’s eyes narrow, tone carrying a faraway note. “I debated letting it die at first… simply because you had demanded of me that I would not. I did not understand what you meant by it. Not then.” He hesitates, and then adds, tone gentling. “Not for long years.”

Kakashi swallows, looking away. So that is why that plant seemed familiar… threads, threads, connected, everywhere.

Sasuke clicks his tongue, shooting a look at Naruto, who is leaning on the railing now, glowering at the water. “I know, more than he does, that you are but a man.” Kakashi frowns, hearing Iruka’s voice for a moment, before Sasuke continues. “I discussed you with Itachi. Forgiveness does not come easy, not with wrongs like these.” He snorts, looking away for a moment, the fine black hair glinting bluish brown in the sun. “Itachi insisted that I forgive you.” His voice lowers. “Forgive him.” Sasuke swallows. “You tried to save me. And I hated you for it.” He chuckles, quietly. “He tried to save me. And I hated him, too.”

Sasuke inhales, deeply, and then he steps closer, just a bit. “He is glad to have you here, even beyond the promise of the bond.” He clicks his tongue. “Especially beyond the promise of the bond.”

Kakashi swallows, unable to answer. His head and heart feel empty.

Sasuke tilts his head, the black eyes seeing too much. Tone carrying vague humor. “You are our Sensei.”

Kakashi exhales, the words scratching in his throat. “Yours, too?”

Sasuke smiles, sharply. “Of course. We are very alike, after all.” His face falls, a bit, voice dropping to a whisper, raw, and full of heat. “I know you could take him from me, if you only made up your mind to do so.”

Kakashi closes his eyes, for a moment, and then sniffs, blinking rapidly. Unable to say anything to that.

Sasuke smiles, viciously, teeth flashing. “But apparently there’s love outside bonds, right.”

Kakashi grimaces, and then hisses, stepping forward and pulling Sasuke into an one-arm embrace, surprising them both. 

He exhales shudderingly, and then chuckles, letting the sincerity color his voice. “I’m glad you’re back, Sasuke.” He clears his throat. “I’m… glad you’re with him. Despite everything. He…” He grits his teeth but pushes the words out, knowing them true nonetheless. “He needs you right now, more than he needs me. He needs someone who is like him, his level, his age, his…” He trails off, not knowing what else to say. 

Sasuke is a bit stiff in the embrace, but gradually relaxes into it, with a sigh. His voice is dry. “He needs someone who tells him when he’s being stupid.”

Kakashi snorts, and then closes his eyes, for a long moment. “Yes.”

 

And so do I.

 

 

 

 

*******

 

 

 

 

Kakashi shares a long look with Guy when they step onto the shell of the huge turtle, silently congratulating the Hidden Cloud for choosing a moving island as their destination.

Though the others don’t seem to notice that, loudly wondering about the rocky spikes around the small jungle. 

 

Naruto is next to him, a fact that Kakashi does not have to check with his senses anymore, his body recognizing the other with instant longing now.

A feeling that transcends the tattoo, too.

 

Naruto clears his throat, addressing Kakashi carefully. “You’re not coming with us, are you, Sensei?”

Kakashi blinks and then shakes his head, slowly. “No.” He exhales, before turning to Naruto. 

He reaches up, slowly, feathering the tips of his fingers over a whiskered cheek, trying to see everything and nothing, just an impression, now, please, I cannot take another goodbye.

He swallows, dropping his hand. “Naruto, I…” He shakes his head, with a chuckle.

Naruto blinks at him, big blue eyes filled with sorrow. 

Kakashi nods, and then forces himself to speak. “Naruto, the fox within you is raging, we know that. But it may be angry also.”

Naruto frowns at the distinction, and then nods, once, while looking away unseeing, the others unloading the ship a few meters off. “Right. We talked about that. You said that it might loathe being imprisoned.” His voice drops to a whisper. “Used.”

Kakashi shrugs, and then sighs, tiredly. “Wouldn’t you be?” Aren’t we all dead tired of being used?

Naruto frowns, a petulant expression entering his features. “But it’s not my fault.”

Kakashi snorts, gently, drily. “No.” No, it is not. He clicks his tongue. “Still. To… In order to find a way… you will have to accept your own rage first I bet.” Your own anger.

Naruto’s face twists, in a moment of distinct pain. “Accept my inner darkness.”

Kakashi whispers, there between them. “It’s black tar, fueling the rage in ones soul. But this thing in you already rages, already fights. Don’t feed it.”

Naruto snorts, tone an acerbic whisper now. “And what should I do with all the pain, and the memories, and the rage, and the hurt…” He grimaces. “Huh? What am I supposed to do with all that?”

Kakashi smiles, painfully. “Shove them at me. Embrace their existence, and… shove them at me.”

Naruto crosses his arms, scoffing.

Kakashi swallows, his throat clicking. “You are loved. You know that.”

Naruto grunts, without answering.

 

“You are.”

Kakashi blinks slowly, and then turns to Sasuke, who steps up to them now, expression hard but carrying this hint of apology for interrupting, too.

Naruto blinks, but some of his own expression lights up nonetheless, and he nods, with a sniff.

Sasuke tilts his head. “Your light has proven stronger than all the dark fuel Orochimaru put into me. It will prove stronger than whatever you will need to overcome, here, too.”

Kakashi closes his eyes for a moment, the feeling a simmering ball of gratitude. Thank you, Sasuke.

Sasuke grins suddenly, something warm entering his features. “It’s a shame it’s so spiky here, though. I could have summoned Aoda and we could have rode in otherwise.”

Naruto snorts, eyes lighting up again. “Oh yes, that would have been cool.” 

Sasuke smirks, his eyes flitting back and forth on Naruto’s. “He’s dark… though his scales can glint like ivory, especially when they’re tipped up when he’s bristling with rage, or something.”

Naruto grins.

Kakashi frowns, something nagging at the back of his brain. 

Sasuke continues, tone soft now, warm. “But tipping the scales makes him vulnerable, so he rarely does that, though it looks extremely beautiful.”

Naruto chuckles. “Shame.” 

 

Tipping the scales…

Kakashi doesn’t recognize his own voice. “There can be strength in vulnerability.”

Both sets of eyes snap to him, and Kakashi stares straight ahead, unseeing. “There is always beauty to exposing oneself.” And terror. 

They’re frowning now, staring at him.

Kakashi shrugs, feeling weird. The words come by themselves. “And to… tip the scales of power, you sometimes have to give up.” Lay your life on the line. Sacrifice that which you value most. He shivers. Let it go.

Sasuke blinks, and then frowns, deeply, slowly shaking his head. 

Naruto’s voice comes haltingly. “Sensei… are you alright?”

 

Kakashi closes his eyes, and then he nods, reopening them to Naruto’s blue ones. He clicks his tongue, suddenly knowing what he has to say. “Be the man I didn’t know how to be.”

Find a way to conquer… no accept the darkness.

Naruto blinks, very slowly. “Ooookay?”

Kakashi smiles sharply, and then steps in, both his hands on Naruto’s jaw, tilting Naruto’s head down to press a kiss to Naruto’s forehead. He mumbles the words against the skin. “I will see you soon.”

 

He steps back, nods at Sasuke and closes his eyes against the pain, reaches and then… 

 

 

Nothing, nothing, cold and bitter.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kakashi wants it to last eternally.