Actions

Work Header

They can Fuck, but I can Love

Summary:

It was their second time together, in bed. Their legs were tangled and Daniel admits he should’ve left by now.

Lando was always curious. Too curious for his own good. So of course he breaks the silence to ask maybe an ill-timed question. “How is Max ok with this? How can your relationship be open, and still a strong relationship?”

Daniel lets out a laugh. He needs to teach Lando the rules, one being Max’s name is not spoken while their together. Not like this anyways. “Attraction comes and goes, but as long as you go back home to them and want to be in their arms, then what does it matter who you fuck.”

And Lando excepts it. He’s always taken Daniel’s words as the truth, always as fact. There should probably be more doubt but Lando trusted him. He hums in response and then Daniel’s leaving the bed.

Off to be with Max, he thinks. Maybe it’s more bitter than it should be.

Notes:

This is one of those stories that I have no real attachment to. I’m not bursting with joy when I see the words I want typed out. Nor am I upset when I’m too busy to write it. I don’t have actually plans for it either. My hand simply do the typing and later I’ll edit what they’ve written to make it better.

Therefore what I’m trying to say is, this was originally going to be Max and Daniel centric. As I was writing it the words began to take a turn and I just went with it.

That being said I do hope you enjoy my blob of a story with more blob to come later :)

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Chapter 1: What’s a fun night out?

Chapter Text

“Darling.” The women in Max’s bed softly moaned as he was finishing his thrusting. He ducks low into the nape of her neck and she must think he’s going to bite because there’s a hitch in her voice. But instead he gets close to her ear and barely manages out. “Don’t fucking call me that.” Just as he finishes. 

She must’ve been done just moments before because as soon as he slipped out she wasn’t asking for more. Or even seemed to have the energy to do so. Instead she unarcs her back and pushes her hair out of her sweaty face. Laying back to just relax  

Max doesn’t care to watch. He peels his used condom off and is honestly disgusted by his own semen, there was never an issue with cum until it came to clean up. By then the thought of anything sticky that came from inside someone was just a gross thought. He was tired too and would’ve liked to lay down on the bed, but instead he stands up. 

“Where are you going dear?” Her voice was low and gentle, clearly exhausted, in a good way. 

He rolls his eyes. “Don’t try to be cute with me.” He’s a little colder than he has to be but he knows if he’s nice she’ll get attached. Too many times he’s made that mistake. She couldn’t even be fazed by his harsh words.

“I’m taking a shower then leaving.” He leaves no room for debate and walks into the bathroom locking it behind him. 

Such a bittersweet relationship with hotel rooms. There are some nights where there’s nowhere else in the world he’d want to be then in the comfort of a generic hotel room with an amazing look out point. But other times, like this. When he uses them merely as a way to hide his dirty deeds, he wants to leave as soon as possible. 

After he’s showered he throws on his clothes and doesn’t care that his body is still too moist to be wearing jeans. Walking out of the bathrooms he runs the towel over his head to try and dry it as much as possible then tosses it to the ground. 

The girl was on the bed and watched him loosely. His face was emotionless as he examined her one last time. Max pushes his hair back and the drying water keeps it in its place. Then without another word he leaves the room with all of his belongings. Leaving her alone and too drained to leave. She’ll probably spend the night but it’s not a worry for Max. He’d already paid for the hotel so she had till 11am the next morning to leave. Didn’t matter to him if they even kicked her out. He was gone and so were any thoughts of that woman. 

Max opens the door to his apartment. The lights were turned off so he figured Daniel had already headed to bed. To his surprise when he flicked on the hallway light there was an enthusiastic, “Maxy!” From the living room. 

The only guilt that had washed over him was the fact that Daniel had stayed up this late. He heads into the living where the all too active Aussie was sitting cross-crossed on the couch. Max smiles and drops his backpack on the floor. He lets himself collapse into Daniel’s arms. 

Which earns him a warm giggle from Daniel. One that just makes your stomach flip with joy. He can’t help but smile harder and was glad that his face was currently buried into Daniel’s soft hoodie. 

“How was your night out?” Max can feel the vibrations from Daniel’s voice.

“Mmh.” Max simply hums in response. 

Daniel pets Max’s semi wet hair. “Have fun?” He asks. 

To which Max replies exactly the same as before, “mmh.”

With a shrug Daniel pulls Max on top of him and lays flat. They both fall asleep like this, even with the lights on. 


It was race week which meant spending more time away from each other. The little they got were either late nights together or a small lunch here or there which normally had another driver or trainer present.

It was late and after qualifying. Daniel had gotten a decent result with his McLaren, P6,  while Max had gotten pole. Daniel didn’t pull Max away from the celebrations to spend the night together. Instead he kissed him privately in his room and wished him a nice night out. 

Daniel hadn’t seen him since. To any other couple maybe this would’ve racked up some nerves, but Daniel instead planned a night out with Lando & Carlos, and apparently Lando’s mystery girl would be joining them too. He wasn’t the closest with the two but hell Lando got in front row and he figured he owed him a drink. Not that Lando would really drink it. Carlos was simply along for the ride. But since he and Lando hadn’t spoken in a while they figured why not invite him too, surprisingly he accepted. 

“Lando!” Daniel sing-songs as his teammate approaches with their on track rival not too far behind. 

Lando is blushing from embarrassment as Daniel basically announces to the whole bar that he was here. Daniel can only laugh at the sight. He throws an arm around Lando. “Congratulations mate! Now where’s this girl you were talking about?”

Carlos smiles. “She’s on her way.” He says eagerly. 

Which causes Daniel to raise an eyebrow. “You know her?” Carlos nods. Daniel gasps and releases Lando. “And I thought we were friends, Lando.” He dramatically turns away from the two, he wouldn’t admit it but he might be a little buzzed already. 

“We are, but Carlos is my best friend.” Lando rolls his eyes at Daniel’s dramatics. Someone give him an Oscar so he’ll stop already, Lando giggles at his own thoughts. 

They order a few drinks and chat it up as they wait for Lando’s supposed girlfriend to arrive. An hour later Daniel had already forgotten of her awaited arrival. 

So it’s very odd when a random woman comes up to the three and automatically begins to make out with Lando. There must’ve been words exchanged before locking lips but Daniel was already a bit far gone to have noticed.

When they finally finish sucking each other’s face off the girl faces Carlos and Daniel with a bright smile, one that could possibly compete with Daniel’s. 

“Hi!” She speaks and Daniel is taken aback to hear another Australian. 

She was tall, taller than Lando but maybe just a few centimeters below Daniel. She had long brown hair with some obviously dyed blond highlights, but it suited her tanned skin. Her eyes were a hazel swirl with long lashes. She had a light purple lipstick that could easily be mistaken for a dark pink. Other than that she didn’t have much makeup on. 

Daniel had seen full faces of makeup before, he knows what foundation looks on skin. But she didn’t have that. Her skin wasn’t Unnaturally glittering in the light. Though she did have some eyeshadow on, it blended well with her skin that unless you were really watching you wouldn’t notice it. 

She was also wearing a tan jumpsuit that was loose all around her body yet still framed her hourglass figure perfectly. Daniel would have to admit, she was extremely hot. 

“A fellow Aussie!” He smiles even brighter than her, the alcohol helped with that. She giggles and Lando watches her in awe. (Possibly still catching his breath from all the extreme kiss.)

Daniel puts out his hand. “So you're the girl I’ve heard so little about.” 

Charming he was, always a little too charming. She reaches out and shakes his hand with a firm grip. Daniel would never try anything. This was Lando’s girl, but he did want to be friends with her. She seemed like fun. Which was what made Daniel really wonder, why is this bomb of a woman with Lando? He shakes his thoughts, Lando’s a great guy. He tells himself as if someone was listening in. 

Lando nods. “This is Lily, Lily this is Daniel.”

She laughs. “I know who he is.”

Daniel smiles. “So Lily. ” her name runs too smoothly off his tongue. “What do you do?”

That starts their conversation. She’s a chef actually. Had taken a job at McLaren during the Australian Grand Prix a year back, but unfortunately she couldn’t follow the team everywhere. Lucky Lando had randomly talked to her which led to a dinner together. And from there things kicked off. Now she’s advanced in her career and is a small famed chef that travels around to share her amazing cooking skills and her odd take on everyday meals. 

An interesting life really. 

“I see you got yourself a woman who cooks, well done Lando.” Daniel jokes and slaps Lando on the back. The young Brit  looks worried to Lily, hoping she’s picked up that it was just a joke. She does, and is in a laughing fit along with Daniel. Together they radiate so much good energy Lando might feel jealous if Daniel wasn’t gay and already in a relationship. 

Speaking of which Lando would swear on his F1 career that he keeps hearing Max’s unmistakable drunken laugh. His eyes have been darting around to see where it was coming from but each laugh was so short he couldn’t place which direction it was in. 

And just as he hears it again he forces everyone quiet. “You hear that?” He says eyes falling over every head in the room. 

Daniel has a concerned look on his face. Then he smiles. “You hear the voice too?” He jokes. 

Lando rolls his eyes, never been one for Daniel’s non stop jokes. “No, I hear Max.”

His words leave an uncomfortable silence between them. Max, out right now, at a bar, couldn’t be anything good. Especially not for Daniel. 

“He’s probably celebrating.” Carlos reassures Daniel with a pat on the shoulder.

Lily is looking around with just as much seriousness as Lando. What a match Daniel laughs to himself. Then as he brings his beer to his lips and before taking a swig he says, “or he’s trying to get laid.”

Chapter 2: What dose it really matter?

Summary:

The others learn of the nature of their relationship on a night out.

Notes:

I feel like the writing feels a little rushed but it’s an alright chapter.

Also I kind of forgot how big the age gap was between Daniel and Lando, personally I’m not uncomfortable with it. They’re both of age (globally even) plus I know someone with a bigger age gap. So, idk I wanted to put this here to remind me and you I guess.

Anyway enjoy :)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

All of them turn to him with shock. Why would Daniel say such a thing? Him and Max were supposed to be together, romantically. Normally you don’t speculate that your partner is out trying to cheat on you. 

“No, maybe he’s with Brad.” Lando thinks that this is Daniel’s way of saying Max is cheating on him. That at this moment one wrong move and all of their drama may come spilling out. 

Daniel just laughs letting the beer burn down his throat, though he feels it much less since all the previous alcohol had already numbed him. “He’s not with Brad.” He says so confidently. 

The other three are glancing at each other. Not many know of Max and Daniel’s relationship. Just Lando, Carlos, and probably Valtteri after Daniel's drunken night with him. And apparently Lily, Lando never could keep his mouth shut. 

“It’ll probably be easy tonight with him getting pole and all. Guy or a girl?” He asks Lando who was externally confused by the question. 

Daniel nearly stands on his seat to get a look around the room. When he falls back down he has a smile on his face. “It’s a girl, lame.” He shrugs. 

Lando has to stare in complete shock. “You? You don’t care?” While yes, he’s very new to commuted relationships. Maybe he doesn’t know anything about being gay, (at least he thinks.) But he does know that sleeping with someone else while in a relationship has never been something to be smiled upon. Much less encouraged by your partner. 

Daniel shrugs again. “No.”

The silence is once again awkward. “Why?” It’s Carlos who’s asked this time. 

Maybe Daniel’s just confident, maybe he just likes the three, or maybe it’s the alcohol. But for whatever reason, he admits this arrangement that he has with Max to all of them, and worse in public. 

“Because what does it matter? Max is young and wants to experience, I know he loves me and I love him. So I don’t have a fear he’s out having a relationship with someone else. And who am I to deny him his sexual exploration years. So if he wants to fuck a girl, then a fucks a girl. Hell if wants 3 at once, then he can go get three at once.” He pauses to take a swig of his beer, a taste that at this point in the night is actually favorable. 

“There are millions of people who throw themselves at us every night we’re out. Sometimes it is hard to resist, even I give in occasionally . It’s better, to be honest, than to lie to each other.” He has to shrug to show the norm of it all. “We have one rule, you don’t bring them home. And so far it’s worked out pretty nicely.” 

He finishes his explanation with a smile and downing the rest of his beer. When he finally looks up to the three that we’re watching him all he sees are astonished faces, except for Lando. Lando looked more curious than the rest, though Daniel was too drunk to notice. And he’s the first to speak. “And you’ve had no issues?” 

Daniel laughs. What a stupid question, no offense to Lando, he tells himself. “Of course we have issues, but our sexual desires are never one of them.

Lily was looking at Daniel with less friendliness. She admired the man, but this was just weird and shined him under a new and confusing light that made her feel a little uncomfortable. 

“So it’s an open relationship?” Lando is the only one with enough courage to speak. 

“In a way, but like I said it’s mostly one-night stands.”

“And you do it too?”

This forces Daniel to smirk. Lando’s words were so odd, Daniel could only wonder what was going on in his mind. “Yea.” He simply responds. 

Lily then shakes Lando back to reality, pruning his eyes away from Daniel which he hadn’t noticed had been glued to the man. “That’s… interesting really. But I think we should head home. Have had a bit too much already and you all have a race tomorrow!” She sounds like a mom, Daniel doesn’t appreciate the mood killer but still, he smiles and waves them off. 

Carlos stays. “I could go for another drink.” They smile at each other. 

Race day comes and yes drinking was a bad idea but Daniel is back to feeling 100 by the time he hits the paddock. Which is later than usual but the team is glad that he showed up. 

He does his racer duties before getting a few moments to himself in his drivers’ room. Max walks in which is a little surprising but he welcomes him with a smile. “How’s it going, my love.” Daniel greets. 

Max smiles back and sits next to Daniel. “Nervous.” He admits, confessions like these were always only ever told to Daniel. He knew he was safe with Daniel. 

Daniel opens his arms to his favorite Dutchman and pulls him in close. “You're going to do great.” He reassures him. Max hums fondly to Daniel’s sweet words. This was how most of their pre race interactions went. Comforting each other and wishing the best of luck. 

Just as Max was leaving, Lando was walking over. His eyes widen upon Max’s presence but strangely relaxes leaving an awkward look on his face. “Hi Max.” He almost stumbles over his words. 

Max nods. “Hi Lando, good luck on the race. See you in the front.”

As Lando is reminded of his victory a huge grin washes over his face. Max chuckles at the sight. “Yes, I’ll see you there!” Lando may still be getting used to the highs of F1. 

Max finally steps away leaving Lando to do what he was originally going to do, speak to Daniel. 

The night before in bed with Lily he couldn’t help but ponder Daniel’s words. Drunken words but they were truths nonetheless. It was such an odd concept to him. He’d known about open relationships, but that was for people who didn’t have a million cameras on them all the time. And for people who were young and still trying to experience life to their fullest. Which sure Lando was, but unfortunately he doesn’t fall into the first category of open relationships. 

In bed he even tried to speak to Lily about it. Not that he’d do it, but just wanted to know her thoughts on it. Surly he couldn’t be the only one that was curious? Though it seems like he was because she got upset when he tried to bring it up. So much so she left for the night. Where to? He didn’t know. And they haven’t spoken since. 

Relationships are dumb, he tell himself when making a u-turn to walk away from Daniel’s door.

“Aye Lando.” Daniel calls out. “Did you need something?”

Lando spins around being forced back onto his track that he had just abandoned. “Err- uh no?”

Daniel laughs. “Come in mate, I have some time to talk.” 

His curls were looking so perfect right now. They were shaken up just enough to make him give off a soft look. Lando smiles. “Sure.” Walking into his doom. Daniel disappears into the room but leaves the door open so Lando still feels welcome to walk in. 

“Have a seat.” Daniel insistes, which Lando takes him up on. It’s quiet at first. Daniel was up on his massage table and Lando was on the couch that was across from it. Nice rooms this weekend, Lando distracts himself. 

Daniel has a difficult time reading Lando, what could he be here for? He couldn’t tell. So instead he brings the night before, it was fuzzy but he does remember Lando’s all too curious questions. “So how’s Lily?” He starts. 

Clearly not the right words at the moment because Lando automatically looks to the ground hiding his face. “She um…” he pushes trying to find the words and when he can’t he sighs in defeat. “I don’t know.”

There’s an awkward laugh that escapes Daniel’s mouth. “How do you not know? You were just with her last night.” 

Lando nods to the ground. “Yes but after we left I guess I said something wrong and we haven’t spoken yet.”

Even while looking down he can feel Daniel’s pitiful eyes on him. “Yikes man what did you say?”

And there it is, what Lando wants to talk about but is too anxious to bring it up himself. “We-well actually.” He can barely finish his sentence but when he looks up and sees Daniel patiently waiting he takes a breath and does so anyway. “It’s a little bit about you.”

“Oh no, did she fall in love with me?” They both laugh at his ill-timed joke. 

“No no, what you said… last night.” Lando clarifies. 

And now Daniel’s curious eyes are looking Lando up and down practically reading him like a book. “Yeah? What about it?”

For some reason Lando wasn’t actually ready to be asked why he found it so curious. Sure it was an odd construct to him, but what was the real reason it keeps running circles in his mind? Did he want an open relationship? He didn’t think so. 

The thought of Lily going out and laying with strange men didn’t exactly please him. Nor did he like the idea of doing it himself. So what was it? Maybe it was just Daniel and Max that made it so curious to him. 

There’s a knock on the door as it’s rudely opened without a response. “Daniel, oh hey!” Micheal smiles at Lando. 

“Perfect you're both here, I’ve been called over to retrieve you. It’s almost race time.” He informs them. 

Daniel nods. “Thank you Michael, we’ll be out in a minute.” And Micheal nods back just before leaving. 

“Now’s the time to spill the beans Lando, you can walk out and not have to bring it up ever again.” 

They lock eyes. Lando had so much behind his eyes that he couldn’t hide fear, curiousness, wants, desires? “What does it feel like to sleep with someone else knowing that you have someone back home?” He rushes his words out. 

Daniel smirks. “It's a rush that could be matched with winning a race.” He answers so smoothly with clear confidence, he must not be lying. Right now Lando would have to take his word for it. He bites his lips still looking into Daniel’s pleased eyes, this is where he decides to leave. 

In one swift move he stands and leaves all within the same few steps. He takes a breath of fresh air as he steps out of Daniel’s room where he has been drowning in his complicated thoughts. 

He hears the door open behind him, Daniel did also have to head to the track. He pays no attention to it and makes his way to the garage where his helmet and car are waiting for him. Hoping now he can forget about it and like Daniel said, never bring it up again. 

Notes:

I honestly love to title of this story. Not the chapter, the story. ‘They can Fuck, but I can Love’ got me smiling everytime I look at it.

Chapter 3: Nights are always peaceful with you

Notes:

So I semi have a direction for this story now, but it might take a while for me to get there ,’/

As always, enjoy :)

Chapter Text

Lando ends in 3rd with Daniel just behind him. He thinks both he and Daniel have the same thought when Daniel complains about not making the podium. 

“I could’ve done it.” He groans with annoyance.

Lando nods. “You could’ve.” If the team had been faster in the pits, which is left unsaid. 

Daniel doesn’t dwell on it. Instead, he joins the team in celebrations and is constantly giving Lando warm and celebratory hugs all throughout the night. 

Even when Lando takes the celebrations to a more personal level Daniel doesn’t leave, which he doesn’t mind. Over the last few months, they’ve bonded quite a lot and the Brit has come to love Daniel’s drug-like presence. 

“Where’s Max?” Lando asks over the loud music unsure of why he was curious. 

Daniel shrugs. “Probably in his hotel room. No worries he’s not going to wait up for me.” He winks at Lando; it has a completely different meaning to Daniel than it does to Lando. 

Which he’s fully aware of. Daniel means it in a friendly way, saying that he can stay up all night with Lando to celebrate if he wants. But right now Lando wants to imagine it means he’s here to give him his full attention. It feels better that way. Lando blushes in return but looks away so Daniel couldn’t poke fun of him. 

The night goes on and so does partying. It isn’t till 1 am do they get away from the celebrations. Lando hadn’t drunk much, surprisingly neither did Daniel. 

Was it because he knew Lando wasn’t going to do too much? Or was it just because he didn’t feel like drinking? Lando wants to think it’s because of the frost option. 

As they walk out of the bar they’re unnoticed. Everyone else was too wasted to even remember what they were celebrating. 

They walk the streets together. It’s nice and quiet, peaceful even. “Sorry about Lily.” Daniel breaks the silence. 

Lando simply shrugs. “S’alright maybe we weren’t a match.”

“A little dumb,” Daniel says. 

Lando raises an eyebrow was he calling him or Lily dumb? “Dumb?” Is all he says. 

Daniel nods. “Yeah, just because of what I said. I mean you were only curious.” Lando has to nod in agreement. “Couples are supposed to talk about things, including the stuff that makes you feel a little curious no matter how odd it is.” He finishes. 

“I guess.” It’s silent again. 

They walk some more before Daniel laughs. “I mean she was hot.”

Lando playfully slaps Daniel’s arm. “Mate!”

“I’m just being honest!” He laughs some more. God his laughs were so enchanting. Lando would be lying if he tried to say it wasn’t making him feel weird and warm things. Just the alcohol, he tries to convince himself. 

“Anyone on the grid?” Lando abruptly asks, not even realizing what he was asking until it was already said. 

“What about the grid?”

Lando clears his throat. “Have you slept with anyone on the grid, aside from Max of course.”

Daniel lets out a short laugh. Lando feels a little embarrassed by his question but his curiosity is too strong to back down now. 

“Curiosity killed the cat.” Daniel randomly states, “and satisfaction brought it back I guess.” He had to be at least buzzed to be saying such odd things. 

He takes a deep breath to fill the silence and then answers Lando. “No.”

“Is it on your rules?” Lando’s quick with another question. 

This time Daniel doesn’t have a direct answer. He stays quiet for a while longer before looking at Lando with a puzzled look. “I-uh I don’t know. We’ve never talked about that.”

Lando pulls in his bottom lip to bite on it but decides against it, leaving it to fall slowly out of his teeths’ grip. He glances away. “Oh ok.”

And then Daniel stops walking all together. Lando, not knowing of his decision to abruptly stop, takes a few steps without him and is forced to turn around to ask, “what’s wrong?”

“Where are we?” Daniel is looking around the building. They had been walking for so long with no direction that never once did Lando bother to wonder where they might be headed. 

Lando also takes a look around. “I don’t know, I sorta forgot we were walking for a while.” He sheepishly admits. 

Daniel just laughs. “We should probably get a cab back to our hotels.”

Lando checks the time and it’s nearly 2:30. “Wow.” He says to the clock. Daniel doesn’t need to ask, he already knows it’s extremely late. Instead he pulls out his own phone and calls up a cab. 

Unfortunately there wasn’t one close by, they’d have to wait another 10 minutes before one arrived. 

“Let's just wait.” Daniel shrugs. “We can sit on the curb.” 

Without a second thought they both sat. It was a quiet night. They must’ve walked externally far from all the bars and hotels because there was no one still celebrating the race anywhere nearby. 

Daniel wonders if he should bring their original topic back up but he decides against it. He honestly has nothing more to add. Though seeing Lando panic at every confession and watching him want more with every answer was not something he hated. 

Instead he opts for silence. His arms are behind him holding up his torso, his hands were pressed against the hard concert and he'd be lying if he said it didn’t hurt. But he was too comfortable to care. 

Lando sits forward with his arms resting on his knees, he was only slightly elevated by the curb of the sidewalk. 

Moments of complete silence seemed to be a common theme for them. Being far away from the celebrations and from human activity really lets you experience how calm the world can be. The two like such an odd paring yet when together nothing feels more right. 

So lost in thought, neither of them realized that 20 minutes had gone by and now their car was arriving. 

Daniel stands up and wipes his hands before putting one out to help Lando up. Lando glances at him with an odd look before taking it, Daniel doesn’t question it. 

They both climb into the car rather messily. They sit on opposite ends and smile with the soft cushion under their acing bottoms. Again no words are spoken throughout the ride. Just curious glances here and there and an occasional stare from Lando. Not something either one of them wanted to discuss, and instead they keep the calm that sits nicely in the air around them. 

The ride was long and peaceful, as they got out of the car Daniel thanked the driver and left a decent tip. The car drives off but they stand in place for a while longer. Daniel stretches his arms and lets out a breath he had been holding for sometime. 

They both have rooms in this hotel and Lando could’ve easily walked off to his own room by now,

Letting Daniel stretch in peace and find his own way back to his room. But he finds himself standing and waiting for Daniel. Not exactly sure why and not bothering to figure out why either. 

The newest McLaren driver smiles seeing his teammate wait for him. “We should head up.” 

To which Lando nods and follows him. 

Such a long night of waking together that it was just a reflex for Lando to continue to do it, that he didn’t realize he had followed Daniel to his room. When he looks up and sees a confused & awkward smile on Daniel’s face he quickly sees what he has done. 

“Oh- sorry I don’t know why?” He tries to explain but fails. 

Daniel just laughs and seems to find Lando’s embarrassment either enjoyable or adorable, Lando couldn’t place which one. “All good mate, you can come in if you want.” 

It feels like time stops for a moment. For just a second all Lando wants to do is say yes and grab his hand to walk in the room with confidence and Daniel by his side, but only for a moment. 

In the next moment Lando is politely smiling and shaking his. “I probably shouldn’t.” He’s mostly telling himself. 

If it were anyone else Daniel would shrug and say ok walking into his room and waving goodbye. But this was Lando, a confused human who doesn’t know how to ask for what he wants and is still figuring out what it is exactly that he wants. “Na it’s good mate, come in. For just a second will ya?” Daniel was not above begging. 

Lando, feeling almost wanted by Daniel, gives in immediately. “Oh alright.” He tries to hide his giggle. This only makes it come out more distorted and leaves him with little breath forcing him to gasp for air after already making a horrendous sound. 

Daniel’s eyes must be watching him with concern but he wouldn’t know after quickly looking at the ground to avoid any sort of eye contact. Especially after that mortifying laugh. 

When he hears the door open he looks up knowing it was safe because Daniel was already walking into the room, and then he follows. When the door does close all the light that was coming in from the hall escapes leaving them in a dark room. 

“Do you want the light on?” Daniel asks. It was an odd question people tend to like to see when doing quite literally anything, but right now the darkness seemed right. As if it was meant to be that way. 

Lando shrugs. “I’m fine with it off.” Clearly, Daniel wasn’t against it either. 

It takes a moment for both of their eyes to get adjusted but eventually they do. Next thing he knew he was yawning even though he didn’t feel tired. He could honestly probably run a mile right now and still be fine yet he found the comforts of the room to make him feel a little fuzzy and exhausted. 

Lando would like to use the words warm but right now he felt freezing. He hadn’t noticed just how cold it was outside till he was wrapped in the warmth of the room. 

“We can lay down if you’d like?” Daniel offers. Lando was ready to turn it down again. He’d probably sit on the couch with Daniel and wait till the Aussie would call it a night to head back to his room. 

Yet he was too comfortable in the room to leave and he found himself saying, “that’d be nice actually.”

He didn’t have to see Daniel's face to know he was smiling. “I have some spare clothes if you’d like.”

He was too nice, Lando tells himself. That's why he makes him warm, he is sweet and kind, and very caring. That's why Lando has always enjoyed his sunny presence. 

Before Lando could answer and say that he'd probably head back to his room later and there was no need to change, Daniel was already off fetching Lando some clothes. He now just hopes they’re warm. 

Soon he is not disappointed. Daniel comes into the room without a shirt on which makes him think all he’s getting are shorts and possibly a tee, but no. The thoughtful Australian hands him some sweats and the hoodie he was previously wearing. “I know you don’t like the cold.” He says as he hands them over. 

The less thoughtful Brit blushes in what he assumes is embarrassment but is actually admiration. “T-thanks.” His stutter is so quick and small that if Daniel tried to poke fun of him he would just deny it and most likely get away with it. 

“It’s no problem. I’m going to brush my teeth but you can get comfortable in bed.” Daniel was now close enough where Lando could actually see his smile and the whites of his teeths. 

Lando just nods and says , “alright.” 

When he finishes changing into the super snug and warm clothes he only then realizes that one, he is now going to stay the night because it'd be too rude to leave and two, there’s only one bed. 

He’s spent countless times in a bed next to a man, that sounds weird. He’s shared a bed with friends and teammates before, this should be no different right? Wrong. 

This is different. This is Daniel. A much older and much more attractive man that has lately been making Lando feel very confusing things. 

All of his belongings are put on the nightstand on the right of the bed. Including his clothes that he hasn’t bothered to fold. 

He’s hesitant when stepping onto the bed. Looking back to the bathroom listing for when Daniel stops brushing his teeth. He goes slow giving himself

Time to become comfortable with just the idea of sleeping in a bed with Daniel.

He’s not given much time because just as he wraps himself in the enchantingly warm blanket he hears the fosit turn off along with the bathroom light. He quietly scrambles to be comfortable which untimely leaves him in the middle of the bed wrapped in most of the blanket. 

When Daniel walks over Lando can hear a soft laugh as he makes his way to the side of the bed. He enters through the left and Lando kindly releases some of the blanket to let him get comfortable. 

It takes him a moment but he does finally stop moving. He lays with his back to Lando nearly on the edge and with the blanket only slightly higher than his waist. But that wasn’t enough for Lando, he moved closer to Daniel searching for that extra heat. 

Then he hears that same soft laugh before there’s more shuffling.

Finally they both settle. Daniel is now facing Lando holding him close and offering all the warmth he can give him. Lando is curled up on his side graciously accepting all of Daniel’s warmth. 

He doesn’t let himself give it much more thought before letting himself enjoy the insane amount of comfort, and giving in to the wave of sleep that is crashing over him. 

Chapter 4: Is it the sun or just you?

Chapter Text

The next morning it honestly doesn’t matter that he woke up with Daniel peacefully sleeping right next to him. At least he tries to tell himself. But he couldn’t even get himself to step out of the bed no matter how hot it got between them. Instead, he stayed as close as he’s ever been to Daniel and bathed in this unknown yet comfortable feeling that was wrapped tightly around the two.

He knew it had something to do with Daniel but with too much denial he couldn’t figure out what the emotion actually was. 

Eventually, Daniel wakes up. Lando is quick to pretend to be asleep and surprisingly for the first time in his life, it worked. Daniel calmly and quietly exits the bed. Leaving Lando to himself. It’d be misleading if he didn’t admit to smiling like a goof in bed after Daniel had left, yet leaving his warmth with Lando. 

Was this the start of something beautiful? An amazing and unforgettable friendship, possibly more? Could be. 

Or could it be the start of something ugly? Something that’ll dig up the two’s deepest desires, leaving them exposed, vulnerable, and full of resentment and regret? Lando could lay and ponder of both possibilities endlessly. Let his anxieties take the wheel and send him directly into a downward spiral, drowning himself in thoughts. 

Or, he could enjoy Daniel’s fading body heat and maybe try to preserve the warm thought of the bright Australian just before having to get up. There’s no question to which he opts for. 

Daniel enters the room 20 minutes later. He’s showered and now dressed in shorts and a hoodie. A bizarre choice of wardrobe but Lando just goes with it. 

“You’re still in bed?” He asks. 

Lando emerges from the blankets with a smile and messy hair. Even Daniel had to admit that he looked pretty adorable. “Yes,” Lando says with his eyes still closed. He looked ridiculous and Daniel just had to laugh. 

“Are you leaving today?” 

Lando shrugs. “I don’t have to, did you have something in mind?” He scolded himself for being already so desperate and scolded himself again because what does he think he’s doing?

“Not really. Just curious how much of a rush you’re in.” Daniel shrugs messing with his own hair. 

“Not a rush at all.” He scolds himself again, too desperate, he's scrunching his nose at himself. 

Daniel sits on the bed next to him. He lets the comfortable silence cover the room properly before shattering it. “Were you gonna talk to Lily?” He asks not knowing the full extent of his words. 

Lando sighs and lays down covering himself in the blanket again. He groans and hopes the blanket can muffle himself enough, then pulls them back off of himself. Daniel had also laid next to him which forces him to push down his all too sudden fondness towards Daniel. “I guess.” He says looking Daniel in the eye with a pathetic look. 

Daniel can’t help but feel a little bad. “Don’t push yourself mate. If you really don’t want to, you don’t have to. If it’s not meant to be it’s not meant to be, right?”

“Are you and Max meant to be?” Lando looks confused at his own sudden words. So instead of letting Daniel respond or even properly process what he’s said, he sits up quickly, “I’m going to call Lily!” He states before getting up and leaving the bed taking a blanket along with him. He snatches his phone off the nightstand and leaves the hotel room altogether. 

Daniel is left puzzled. “You forgot your keys!… and everything else” He calls out, but shrugs and figures he’ll be back. 

Lando was in such a rush to get out of that situation that he didn’t realize that his new situation was just as bad if not worse than his original one. Now he was standing outside of Daniel’s room with Daniel’s clothes on, his phone in hand, and Lily’s contact already pulled up. He has to take a deep breath. 

The air outside of Daniel’s room is clear. Which seems to be common. Something about a room that has any relation to the Aussie has got Lando’s brain running a mile a minute. Though, when he’s finally freed from Daniel’s addictive and all too comforting presence, he’s calm again. 

He decides to not think of it yet, just as before. He wasn’t in a relationship with the man nor did he want to be. So instead he stares blankly at Lily’s contact. 

He’s one click away from being on the phone with her. One-click away from a conversation that can fix all their problems, yet he doesn’t feel his fingers moving. 

He just stands there for what feels like an eternity. Only when there’s a knock from the inside of the room is he brought out of this trance. “You done?” Daniel asks. 

This causes the young one to panic and hit the call button. “No fuck… uh no no just wait!” He calls back with the ringing of the phone already in his ear. With fear and a hint of dread, he watches the little words that say, calling…

And there’s, even more, fear & nervousness when they turn into numbers. “Hello?” He starts with much caution, caution for himself. 

“You break your phone or something?” The line was a little broken but the anger in her voice was crystal clear. 

“N-no sorry. I'm sorry.” He sighs in an attempt to relax his nerves. “I should’ve called, I know. It’s been busy you know how it is, but I’m not going to use that as an excuse.”

“Damn right it isn’t an excuse.” She agrees. “You were just going to let me leave?”

Lando shakes his head and then scolds himself when he remembers she can’t see him. “No, I was just… confused. I didn’t really know why you were so upset so I decided to give you some space. Then I had the race and the celebrations go long…” he doesn’t know what else to say. Because in all honesty he was still confused why she left. 

He hears her sigh, most likely pitying Lando’s pathetic apology and his ignorance of relationships. “It’s ok.” She starts. 

“Lando you should’ve called, there's not much we can do about that but just keep it in mind for next time. I know I’m a little bit hard, I mostly prefer to be alone when upset which usually leaves the person I’m mad at confused and in the dark. So I’m sorry too.” She finishes with a sad tone and now Lando feels worse for not calling. Sure the relationship was relatively new, but he should’ve known this by now. 

“Next time?” He latches onto her words. “You're not breaking up with me?” It sounded so stupid when leaving his mouth. Like a teenage boy, maybe he was a little bit too close in age to. 

She giggles and it makes Lando feel warm, he automatically compares the feeling to be with Daniel but quickly shakes the thought. “No ya idiot!” She says playfully. 

“Oh thank god.” He laughs back letting out a sigh of relief.

“Congratulations Lando, on the race. It was an amazing drive. You did wonderful.”

Now it’s his turn to giggle. “Thank you, are you still in town?”

“Uh..” she sounded guilty. “I flew back to Australia yesterday. Apologies, I was just blinded by rage I guess.”

“Oh.” Lando was honestly shocked by this news. “It’s alright, maybe I could fly there instead of back home…?” He’s slow making sure she doesn’t feel rushed for an answer or any sort of pressure to say yes. 

“Sure!”

Moments later the call ends with love-spoken good-byes. Or at least what Lando has heard other people call their significant others. 

Now he has to face problem number two. Daniel. Daniel, who he just asked if he thought Max was who he was ‘meant to be with.’ Lando never believed in soulmates but they might as well be. They’ve always seemed so inseparable, maybe that way them being an open relationship is such an odd thought to him. 

He knocks on the door quietly. The amount of time it takes for the door to be opened is just the amount of time Lando needs to collect himself. 

“Hi! How are you? How have you been? I haven’t seen you in a while!” Daniel jokes and Lando can’t help but roll his eyes playfully. 

He pushes past Daniel and is back over to the side of the bed where his clothes sits. “I’ve got to go.” He says in a disappointed tone and prays that Daniel doesn’t pick up on it. 

“Oh, alrighty.” Daniel smiles, because he’s always smiling. But Lando feels he hears disappointment in Daniel’s voice, he must be making things up. He probably is, but for now, he just wants to imagine there is. Because right now Daniel is easy, and Lily is hard. 

“Actually.” He stops himself from picking up his clothes. Daniel watches on with a raised eyebrow. “I’m going to sleep some more. Is that ok?” He feels the need to ask for permission even though he most likely knows the answer which is, “yes, of course.”

Lando smiles with much appreciation before collapsing back into the bed. He gets under the covers and scuffles around trying to feel comfortable which was hard when he could feel Daniel staring. 

“Mate before you sleep, can I tell you something?” 

Uh-oh, Lando said something. He must’ve because Daniel’s words seemed urgent and hurt. He sits up as Daniel stands at the edge of the bed, the Brit nods his head with hesitance unsure if he wants to hear what Daniel is going to say. 

“Earlier you asked if I think max and I are meant to be.”

Jesus Lando needs to start thinking before talking. “Sorry.” He fiddles with the blanket in embarrassment but is quickly reassured by Daniel’s warm and loud laugh. 

“All good, just. I guess I haven’t told anyone this but I really don’t.” He scratches the backs of his head, the nerves inside him building, a sight few have seen. 

Lando can’t imagine what was racing through his mind, “what?” He asks not because he was actually curious but because Daniel looked like he needed to get this off his chest. 

“I love him.” His words are way too unsure for the meaning that they hold. “I do, but… it gets really difficult sometimes. He’s a lot and while it’s something that I love about him, it’s also been taking a toll on me. Especially this season with the car being more difficult than I thought.” He sighs. 

“I shouldn’t burden you with this.” He laughs trying to find the right words to justify this dumb dump of emotions he’s putting on Lando. 

What he doesn’t know is Lando is more than happy to listen. Daniel rarely complains, he’s also so happy and bright and also there for everyone else. So if right now he’s the one who needs someone, why turn him away? “It’s alright. You can tell me. We are teammates, after all, you don’t need to worry about me telling anyone else either.” Lando tries to sound reassuring. 

Daniel shakes his head. “No no it’s alright, you want to sleep.”

“Daniel.” He says as openly and sweetly as he can but is unsure if it comes out like that, because it’s easily mistaken for a seductive tone. “Lay down, we can talk.” He pats the other end of the bed. Maybe he was pushing it. 

But Daniel shrugs and walks over. He takes a seat but pushes the blanket off; he doesn't want to take any from Lando by sitting on them. 

They have an in-depth conversation together. Lando normally jokes about Daniel being older but right now he can’t help but appreciate his age. First, he looks even better as the time goes on and second, as much as he likes to act like a child, he’s also had a lot of experience and with that wisdom. 

It makes him more attractive. In a way that you think your older sibling is cool because they know older people things. But Daniel was too hot to be considered a brother. He simply was, well he was Daniel. 

Lando listened patiently and judgment-free. After all, he asked for this, and right now he wasn’t regretting this. Maybe they really would turn out to be a great duo. 


Lily is waiting for him at the airport. He almost wishes they had to wear masks again to hide his, what he assumes, dorky smile. He rolls his suitcase alongside him and makes his way towards her parked car where she stood. 

She too was smiling quite dork-like. “Hi, you!” She tries and fails to repress her giggle. 

He can only laugh in response. “Hi.” Lando’s voice is excited but still tired and possibly sore after the very long flight. Jet lag was bound to kick in any moment now. 

Luckily Lily can sense this exhaustion. She places a small kiss on his cheek before opening the door for him. “Get in, I’ll get your bags.”

“No no no I can do it.” He tries to argue but she glances him dead in the eyes. 

“I’ve got it.” She says more serious than he’s ever seen before. Who says chivalry is dead?

Wary he pulls his hands off his luggage and up into the air. “Alright alright.” To which she giggles and pushes him into the car. He gently smiles to himself while climbing in. 

The ride is mostly quiet. Lando was still tired and he tried to fight it to talk to Lily. Though, tired of hearing his clearly sleep-deprived voice she shut him up and told him to just lay down. Deciding not to fight her and start new problems, he lets the soothing movement of the car take him. 

Chapter 5: Who’s sweeter?

Notes:

Hello to whoever is reading :)

Sorry to do this but I might not be back for a while. My depression has not been very kind and my motivation is wearing thin. I really do want to write more but when I sit to do it I just can’t get myself to start typing. I want to give you my best work not anything too rushed or crappy, and with all my thoughts all I can do is overthink and hate all of my work. I’m starting to love this story and I have many ideas but my mind is just somewhere else right now.

Please do enjoy this chapter and the next that I promise will come, maybe not soon, but they will eventually. I also want to apologize for this chapter being a little all over the place, other than that Enjoy. :)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Daniel is also meeting someone at the airport. He and Max have decided to fly home together, which is actually quite a rare occurrence. They’ve been on just completely different schedules lately so being in the same place at the same time has become more and more rare. As much as Daniel feels sad about this, he also uses it to treasure each moment with Max even more.

“Morning love.” Daniel smiles and his cheeks push up on the glasses resting on his face. He takes a few more steps and makes it to the top of the stairs where Max is waiting for him. 

Max smiles and moves to let him walk into the plane, and when he is fully in the plane that’s when Max pulls him into a gentle but still passionate kiss. “Morning,” he says after. Daniel doesn’t respond, too mesmerized by Max’s lips. Lips he hasn’t felt in what seemed like forever.

He wanted to go in for more. To re-explore Max’s lips in a way, he’s most likely done a million times but is not yet tired of. Instead, Max collapsed onto one of the seats. He laughs watching Daniel stand speechless. “We’re having other guests so don’t get too excited.”

The Aussie's mesmerized state fades and is replaced by a disappointing look. “Damn, thought maybe we could make up for some lost time.” he licks his lips so naturally that to anyone else it might seem like nothing, but Max knows the real intent behind those wet lips. 

“We can’t, sorry. Maybe later though.” He bites his bottom lip in response and Daniel can’t help but laugh and take a seat next to him.

‘Later’ they don’t do much. After a long fight, they decide to call it a day and just lay in bed for the rest of the day's hours. Not that Daniel is complaining he loves some good r&r. He just can’t help but remember Lando. So to get his mind off of that he says, “great weekend.”

Max hums in agreement on Daniel’s chest with a soft but tired smile. “Yes, was fun even for you.” 

There wasn’t any room for compliments on Daniel’s end. He finished in 13th good for his past results, bad for his potential results. 

And then it’s quiet once more. 

Max ends up falling asleep. As appealing as it sounded Daniel just couldn’t seem to close his eyes. The thought that this could be what his life is like till the end of his years, was scary, to say the least. 

Not that he hated Max or how domesticated they’ve become. It’s calming to know that this could be his life. Maybe he’ll be able to love someone for the rest of his life. That he’ll have someone to hold like this after a long fight for the rest of his life. Just as he’s bathing in the soothing ideas, then comes all the doubt. Max being so young and still even figuring himself out was not going to be easy. 

Then there’s their issue of being in an open relationship. Which he agreed to, and he’s definitely still for it. As said before, Max was young. He should use this time to figure out whether he sees a future with Daniel. Though there’s no way he’ll be able to do it for the rest of his life. What if Max falls in love with someone else? What if he falls in love with someone else?

No. He tells himself. That can’t happen. That won’t happen. And just as he’s chanting this, the picture of Lando in his bed flashes in his mind. How when he woke up in the middle of the night, he moved closer and fell right back to sleep. How when he saw Lando staring at him, he could barely keep his eyes closed. Holding back his blush and giggle was the hardest thing he’s ever done in a while. How when he overheard Lando talking about going with Lily to Australia he felt almost betrayed.

Thinking all this made him feel guilty enough, then he had to go and look at Max who was peacefully asleep. He needed to leave. To get a breath of fresh air. Clear his thoughts. Though forcing Max awake just because he couldn’t stop thinking would definitely be considered rude. So instead he let him continue to rest on his chest and decided to distract himself by scrolling through his phone. Pushing the terrible feeling deeper down. 

His phone goes off and he’s gotten a text from Lando. It’s a photo of him and Lily who have both just done a hike for what seems like the first time in their life from how exhausted they look. Still, Lando is smiling with his arm warped around Lily’s bare shoulder, Daniel can only imagine how sticky that must feel. He forces himself to stomach the laugh that was building as to not disturb Max, but he does send back a-ok sign and a ‘congrats mate’

Lando sent back a smiley face along with the words, ‘talking things through really does work, surprised I had to hear it from you.’

This time Daniel lets himself laugh. Max lets out a long breath threatening to wake but then moments later settles back into a deep sleep. ‘I think I might know a thing or two when it comes to Aussies.’ He responds.

‘Yeah? Know of a good gift to get her?’ 

Daniel laughed at Lando’s texts, he gave it no second thought and replied with, ‘I know Australians, not females, I date men Lando’ along with a laughing emoji. 

Then there’s a groan from his other half. “S’who is it?” Max mumbles. 

Daniel smiles with guilt, he was trying not to wake Max. “No one, love. Go back to sleep.”

“Ok, but you should sleep too.” The Dutchman finally rolls off of him and lays comfortably on his side that’s facing away from Daniel. 

The Aussie is still feeling guilty but for a different reason as he turns back to his screen. Lando hasn’t responded, and Daniel is stomaching another laugh thinking of Lando’s face going red at the casual mention of Daniel being gay. Lando gives a lame response ‘so I’m aware of.’

They only text for so much longer. A few more jokes back and forth, Daniel tells him to take her to Perth and maybe they’ll meet up, as a joke of course, when he hits send he feels the weight that has been building in his eyes. 


Calm. Their home was almost always calm. It was a sanctuary for the both of them. No matter what type of day or week or race they had they could come and feel free and relaxed enough to properly think. Mostly, this was for Max. A hot-headed person who at any moment could snap and probably burn the world to the ground. But instead, he can walk into his home, take a deep breath and just relax. 

It’s a safe place. For everyone even. While yes Max was still keeping a small apartment a short distance away from here to keep up appearances, other than that he spent his time here. In ‘Daniel’s home’ in their home. 

People would come over to let loose, nearly all the drivers have been over in some sort of a panic. By the time they leave, their worries are a mile away, or simply they are relaxed enough to face them. So it wasn’t just them who thought of it as a safe place, but everyone. 

This is the main reason for not bringing a fling into their home. It would ruin the aurora they’ve worked so hard at creating. To imagine anyone else gasping as every thrust, or gripping the sheets, or even just laughing after some joke Daniel’s made in bed, would cause a strong tension in the air. A tension that doesn’t need to exist and they’re better off without. 

When Max wakes up after Daniel all he can do is smile because he knows his love is just in the other room. Maybe watching TV, maybe eating, didn’t matter to Max. 

He just jumps out of bed in his shorts and goes to find his other half. They do join each other’s presence in the living room, Max ducks in for a hug and Daniel is more than happy to give it to him. Calm. 

A day later it’s the evening and Daniel had whipped something up on the stove, which was not used very often. Said he got a recipe from his sister and wanted to try it. Max had attempted to help but nearly burned himself, so instead, he stood back occasionally giving Daniel a kiss and reminding him how hot he looked in an apron. Which Daniel would reply with, “well I feel damn hot too, over this stove.” And Max would laugh

The food gets served and now Max can be close with Daniel without the worry of burning himself. Their table sits six and it is quite big, but they sit right next to each other enjoying each other’s presence. (The food was alright, Daniel had forgotten a spice or two, but he’ll just blame it on Max distracting him.)

And on another day it was silent. Max sat on the couch with his phone in hand doing nothing in particular. He scrolled through Instagram looking at a bunch of lame posts. 

Though faintly in his ear he could hear Daniel’s music playing. He turns to their giant glass windows which were also the doorway to get onto their balcony. And there was Daniel doing his workout. 

He was currently in his iconic squaring position, and he was extremely sweaty. Max has to laugh when he notices the sweat ‘it’s really sweat, I’m a high-performance athlete and athlete sweat’ he can hear Daniel saying. 

Any other day Max would’ve gone out and teased him. Try and turn him on so they could go to the bedroom together. But today he didn’t want to. Instead, he just watches not with lust, but with joy and a snug feeling inside him. He can’t believe what he has, what they’ve built. 

Normally he wasn’t too good with his words but with Daniel, he wasn’t afraid to ask for what he wants. So when he does step outside it’s not to bring Daniel to the bedroom to do another exercise, but instead to ask him inside to cuddle. 

The Aussie looks surprised by this sudden demand but it quickly fades into a warm and bright smile. “Of course Maxy!” Even he was still getting used to Max being open with his feelings. “Like this or should I shower?” 

Max softly smiles. “It’s alright we can shower later.”

Daniel nods and stands up to follow Max inside. He takes off any gear he had on and dries himself with a towel. 

They quickly get comfortable on the couch with Max's head on Daniel’s chest and arms around his waist. Daniel rests his hands in Max’s hair gently and fondly playing with his short strands.

 No words are spoken and Daniel's music is long gone yet the silence is peaceful. Something the two could only find with each other. Peace. 


Time passes after the two Mclaren driver’s nights together. While to any other person spending the night with your teammate or just a friend is not a big deal. To them, it’s a moment neither will ever forget. 

For one Daniel will never forget the childish way Lando pretended to be asleep just to avoid any confrontation with Daniel. And Lando, god Lando could never forget that night in a million years. Something was turning inside of him and for now he believes is just his curiosity. Though as much as he tries to convince himself he knows it's not true. 

Unfortunately, a repeat doesn’t occur for the rest of the season. Together the drivers reach 3 more podiums for the remainder of the year and while each celebration is spent together, each night is spent in their own room with their own significant other. They’ll most likely never voice their complaints about this. The memory was just going to have to be a guilty pleasure for the two. 

Something that Lando couldn’t get off his mind even when in bed with his amazing girlfriend.

He’ll probably also never voice that sometimes he likes to listen to Lily and imagine Daniel speaking to him, the only difference is the pitch in her voice. The energy they both give off has always been so sunny and cheerful. It’s what attracted Lando to her in the first place, (not the Daniel thing) she was working as an assistant chef at the McLaren facility. If it didn’t pay as well as it did, it could probably be considered an abusive job. (Being a sous chef can be hard.) Yet, when Lando went to order she was happy and bright not how he’d known the chefs to be. 

Lando would let his mind run wild with all the things she’d say and imagine Daniel. His most shameful moment was doing this in bed. Though he never voiced it. It’d be his little secret. 

Daniel on the other hand contained it more. It was merely a sexual attraction that he had to Lando. That night was so sweet and maybe in another world he’d want something with the man, but he has to bury those thoughts deep. He does a good job at it too. Now all the surfaces are his low desires to be back in the same bed with Lando for other reasons that weren’t so sweet. 

Attraction comes and goes, Daniel knows this. Having sex is a part of life and sure he’s been attracted to Max for the entirety of their relationship, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t think about other guys every so often. At work, there are a few designated people that are pure eye candy for him. It’s a little odd, but he’s sure everyone does. Not necessarily everyone on the grid, but those people that he sees as eye candy, most likely have someone else in the garage that they use as eye candy, hell they could think Daniel was eye candy too. It’s not like it truly matters. You can think someone is attractive and want to have sex with them while still giving all your love to one person. 

At the end of the day, Daniel is with Max and he knows that, and he loves Max. So he just lets the attraction sit within him as he examines whoever’s body. Eventually, he knows he’ll be right back to looking at Max this way, but in the moment what’s the harm in entertaining yourself?

Nearly the same is happening to Lando. The boiling attraction. Except, he confuses it for friendship, the want to be closer to him is in a more platonic way he assumes. A common mistake really, but a mistake nonetheless. 

So one day the weekend before their summer break, he finds himself casually going to ask him. “Daniel.” Lando opens the door to his teammate's room. His Australian partner was currently sitting on his phone clearly exhausted, with Micheal in the corner of the room, packing up his equipment. 

Daniel smiles. “Hi Lando, was just about to hop onto the table. Did the team need something? Did you need something?”

The way his last question felt so directed to Lando made his stomach flutter, he’s just nervous, he tells himself. “Er- well no… I mean yes?”

The Aussie just gives a confused look along with a smile of course. He couldn’t see it but Micheal was looking on with suspicion. Lando takes a breath before starting again, “I mean that… the team doesn’t need anything I came to ask you something.”

To which Daniel immediately turns to Micheal in what Lando assumes to kick him out. “It’s just a quick question!” He rushes his words out, “n-no need for privacy.” God a stutter? He must sound and even look like a mess. Why is he such a mess? He couldn’t tell you. 

“Oh? Well, do tell.” Daniel says in a playful voice. Lando loved it. 

“Just that summer break is coming up and I feel like we’re close but not outside of the track close. That’s fine of course if you don’t want to be but basically, I was thinking we could spend a day together over the break. Maybe lunch, or golf?” 

The words came out quick and jumbled but fortunately, Daniel is used to quick words with Max. So he smiles at the nervous wreck and says, “of course! Send me a date and time.” He shrugs like it’s that easy. Well, because with Daniel it is that easy. 

Lando nods and glances around the room awkwardly. For a moment he locks eyes with Micheal who was not looking the happiest. “Oh- right uh you do your thing I’ll uh, I’ll be going.” He chuckles going for the door, expecting a goodbye or something but he doesn’t get one. He’s a bit disappointed though he doesn’t let it get to him. 

When he does finally leave Daniel can’t help but laugh. My goodness, what a wreck, he thinks. A cute wreck

“Don’t mess with him.” Micheal’s words are cold and stern and very out of the blue. So much so Daniel is caught off guard and looks on with a confused look. 

“What?”

“Lando, don’t start messing around with him.” He has the same tone. 

Daniel rolls his eyes. “Why I would never in a million years!” His voice was just drenched in sarcasm. 

Micheal crosses his arms. “I’m not playing, I see the way he looks at you, and you're just leading him on. You're with Max, keep your head straight.”

“It’s an open relationship if I wanted to sleep with Lando I could.” Daniel throws back with a lazy eye roll. 

“But could you stop?”

There’s a stinging silence in the air. They both know Daniel’s problem. Sometimes he can’t stop. His feelings grow and are hard to kill. 

Then he hops onto the massage bed. “Let's just get this done ya? I’m sure McLaren would appreciate you doing your job.” Of course, he has to make a snarky remark. Daniel gives Micheal a smile that was asking for him to say more, though Michael knows better than to respond so he pushes Daniel down a little rough, but only playfully. 

He was his performance coach, he’s not about to damage the goods.  


“Golf?” Max questions him. 

Daniel shrugs. “Why not, maybe there’s something to it that I’m just missing.”

“I’ve never once heard you want to play golf, I’ve even heard you complain about it, that it’s ‘the loser of all sports.’” Max raises an eyebrow. 

“It’s Lando.” Daniel shrugs again. “He’s my teammate. I should be friendly right? You told me that.” He smiles knowingly. 

It’s safe to say that Daniel didn’t like Lando at first. He was young and into games, streaming, and yeah golf. So they didn’t exactly mix well. Though over the course of their first season together.  Winning together, (Monza 😭) fighting together, and of course, doing interviews together has forced them to bond. Forcing them to find out that deep down they aren’t too different. 

Their desire and dreams are just about the same, love and winning. Though Daniel’s already found his love, or so he hopes. Lando is also hoping, hoping that Lily will be the light of his life as Max is for Daniel. 

“Eventually” Daniel had told him. 

“One day you’ll wake up next to her and smile. You’ll have no thoughts, but the air around you will feel so calm and so right it’ll make you want and feel ready to spend the rest of your life with her.” Daniel’s hand was on Lando’s shoulder as he said this. All the Brit could focus on was the warmth radiating off of Daniel’s hand and onto his shoulder. 

Only later did Lando actually process what Daniel had told him. It was a nice thought, he loved when Daniel would go all-wise. Sometimes he’ll think back to it. Sometimes, when he does wake with Lily, he’ll try and force himself to feel it. 

But now, they’re friends. Or at least on their way to becoming friends. In 2021 they didn’t do too many Mclaren shoots together. Daniel was extremely focused on working hard and improving himself while Lando was already very established in the car. So being on different levels did create an invisible barrier between them. 

Lando can’t say he was too hyped for Daniel’s move either. When it was announced, the comments started rolling in how Lando was going to be crushed and tossed to the side. Which to him seemed like a very possible idea. So the thought of Daniel coming and taking over wasn’t a pleasant one. He also wasn’t ready to lose Carlos just yet, they had such amazing chemistry. Close in age and liked a lot of the same things. Carlos was easy and Lando liked easy. (Only outside of the car of course.)

Though when the season actually started he was doing amazing. He couldn’t help but feel amazing, disappointed that he wasn’t winning races but it was hard with Lewis and Max battling so hard. Though, all the team's praise made up for that slight disappointment. 

While he wasn’t happy that Daniel wasn’t doing too great, deep down he did feel relieved that the very talented Aussie wasn’t going to force him out. Although it did help with their bonding, Lando didn’t feel threatened by Daniel. If anything it made him more approachable, they'd talk about the car and how it drives for hours. 

It was a mediocre relationship at best, until Monza last year. (Monza😭) When They finally both felt relaxed enough to try for a real friendship. 

Max sighs. “I did say that.” He sounded disappointed. “Alright then.”

The Aussie has to laugh. “What’s wrong Maxy? I don’t think I’ve seen you act like this before?”

“Nothing.” Max pouts and turns around with his arms crossed. Not letting Daniel analyze him like he always does. 

Daniel wraps his arms around his love. “Maxy~” he kisses Max’s neck. “Tell me what’s wrong , are you jealous?”

“No!” Though, unfortunately, Max’s all too quick reply gives it away. Daniel didn’t need to see Max’s face to properly analyze him. 

He chuckles and Max loves the way he can feel Daniel’s whole body shake from his laugh. “Maxy,” he says again in the same seductive voice. “There’s nothing to be jealous about.”

To which Max can’t help but roll his eyes. “You don’t like golf, Daniel.”

“Ok?” Daniel says with more confusion. 

“It’s just odd.” Max tries to dismiss it but he just can’t. 

Now Daniel was rolling his eyes playfully, Max’s jealousy was sorta cute. “We can go to lunch instead, it’s fine dear.”

Max spins around in Daniel’s arms. “No, no go golfing with him. It’s fine really I’m just being dumb.”

There’s a soft smile on Daniel’s face as he looks into Max’s eyes. Then he pulls him in and leaves a passionate kiss on his lips. “Your feelings aren’t dumb, if you don’t like it then I won’t do it.”

Max sighs. “Just- just go lunch then, yeah?”

Daniel happily nods. “Ok.”

Notes:

I am excited for the US Grand Prix, finally a reasonable time for a race, I finally don’t have to wake at 4 or 5 am. :)

Chapter 6: Friends or more? Who knows.

Summary:

Dinners are nice, nights out are fun.

Notes:

Well, it’s been a while. But I’m back as promised. A lot has happened since. I don’t really feel like getting into it all. I’m so happy and proud of Max winning though I do feel that last lap was a bit unfair.

That aside I’ve come back with another chapter for my McLaren boys 🥰

I’m extremely excited for the new year and what is to come. I hope you all are too. Though I am sad that the season is over and how we have to wait a few months before they return. But the drivers deserve a break so it’s all fine.

Finally just remember this is all just fiction and is in no way meant to be taken seriously, enjoy the blob :)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

It didn’t matter where they ended up. Lando knew it’ll be a good time regardless of the setting. I mean it’s Daniel Ricciardo, the man who’s known for his good times and being able to make anyone feel comfortable to let loose. Sure a lot of that might invoke drinking, but Lando knows there is a sober effect too. I mean he’s felt it so many times before. 

Though, now it would be more personal. Now it was just going to be one on one. While yes they’ve had their solo moments, but those were all on track. Alone and outside of work was 1000 times different. He couldn’t even imagine what that might entail. 

Two friends going to lunch, that's all it was. That’s all it can be. 

He has to keep reminding himself of this. That friends don’t follow each other home to lay in bed together. That friends don’t imagine what I’d be like to not have to worry about appearances and be able to have one another in any way they want. 

Dinner at a nice restaurant as friends. He smiles stepping out of his car saying the sentence one last time. It had a nice ring to it, friends . He felt an almost desperate need for them to be friends. This unrecognized attraction was like a magnet that pulled himself to Daniel. Friends , he smiles at the waiter that brings him to their table. 

Daniel is already there. He’s currently talking to the table next to them. When he sees Lando he smiles and then says, “Ah! well, it seems my date has arrived.” It’s a joke. It’s obviously a joke even the old couple next to him knows it’s a joke, so why isn’t Lando laughing? And why did he feel his heart jump?

“Thank you for the company,” Daniel says to the couple. They smile and say their goodbyes. Lando feels bad, they must’ve been sitting with him for some time now, just wanting to leave. Then again it’s Daniel, Maybe they enjoyed his charm. 

He is still standing as he watches the couple leave. “Who were they?” He asks, but his mind is completely thrown off track when he turns back to look at Daniel, who’s looking him up and down while biting his lip. An eager look that is currently being directed to Lando, and he’s got no clue how to act. 

Daniel laughs at the spoken state Lando’s in. “Just some restaurant friends I’ve made while you’ve been taking your sweet time on arriving.” He takes a nab at Lando but saves it by saying, “but it seems to be worth it because you are looking marvelous.” As if just Daniel’s stares weren’t enough he had to go and complacent him with such a hungry tone. Not only that but he rests his elbow on the table and places his head in the palm of his hand to further emphasize his adorement. 

Lando rushes to sit down to try and hide himself in their booth but it does no good because Daniel is still looking at him. “Err, thank you. I didn’t know what the attire was.” He wasn’t In a suit or anything but definitely more dressed up than Daniel was. 

“The attire is whatever you wanted to wear.” He says so casually that Lando almost hates his words, but the hate that he feels is drowned out by that mesmerizing Australian accent. 

“You look rather nice too.” Lando forces out to not seem rude. Though it wasn't a lie, Daniel did look nice. 

Daniel only laughs before they are approached by the previous waiter. He brings in the menu and asks if they’d be ready to order. To which Daniel politely shoos away. 

It’s too typical, the way Lando is using the menu to his face from Daniel. He feels he is still too pink for him to properly face Daniel. He wanted this, why was he the one acting weird?

“So…” Daniel starts and he sounds almost bored. 

Lando finally lowers the menu and can see the natural look on his face. “Right.” He awkwardly laughs then clears his throat. Daniel doesn’t start speaking like how Lando expected him to. Instead, he waited and stared at Lando. Was he doing something wrong?

“How is your summer going?” Lando sheepishly asks. 

Daniel smiles, thank god. “It’s been great, mate. I’ve actually just gotten back from a trip to America. Went on a few hikes was even learning how to surf. Though, I think I’ll leave that to Hamilton.” He laughs and Lando chuckles along and feels some of his anxiety flout into the air just the way Daniel’s laugh does. 

“In LA?” 

Daniel nods. “Was Max there?” Lando feels almost embarrassed to ask. 

“Yeah, though he flew home before me.” Daniel shrugged simply. 

“Mmh.” Lando smiles. 

With that, the conversation nearly dies. Lando’s glancing at the silverware wrapped in a black cloth to the right of him. Though he can just feel Daniel all too attentive eyes on him. He was feeling an unnecessary amount of embarrassment from simply being there. 

They stay at the restaurant for only a few hours. It was a nice enough dinner. The food was amazing though Lando found their conversation often leading to dead ends with awkward transitions and odd silences. 

He still treasured the interaction. Seeing Daniel move, talk, and feel in front of him and only for him felt personal. Made him feel as though they were closer than they were. 

Then Daniel would look at him. A look that he couldn’t erase from his mind. And probably never will. He would catch himself looking away every now and then. He was trying to relax his cheeks from smiling so much and hoped he wasn’t blushing hard or anything, but with Daniel, it simply seemed impossible. 

So it was a great time. Lando left with a dorky smile and when Daniel hugged him goodbye he wanted to squeal. He needed to relax. It’s a new friendship, what’s there not to be excited about. He tells himself. 

Daniel wasn’t exactly thinking the same. He enjoyed the meal and Lando was looking amazing, and he liked seeing Lando giggle and hide his face. Someone who clearly really enjoyed his company and it maybe had Daniel thinking. 

Though, he found their conversations a bit boring. They don’t share many of the same interests aside from racing and Lando hasn’t done nearly as many things as Daniel has, so not many similar experiences either. He thinks next time they need to do something instead of just sitting and talking. Maybe he’ll take him biking or something. 

Though the next time they meet they’re back in the paddock. It’s at Spa. The fans are more wild than ever because the race didn’t get to take place last year. It’s a bit damp but there’s no expected rainfall for race day, so far. 

They are civil and have had much small talk throughout the weekend. Race day comes and goes, Lando just misses out of the podium and even though he wanted to return to his room to sulk in his disappointment, Daniel refused to let that happen. 

“Come onnnnn.” He begs. “Let’s just go out.”

“I don’t really feel like it, Daniel.” Lando sighs. 

Daniel had a worse race. He had a collision in the 30th lap which lost him 6 places, he was only able to gain 2 back by the end of the race. Ending in 12th out of the points. So frankly Lando didn’t know how Daniel was doing so well where he still wanted to go out. 

“Lando, come on it’ll make you feel better I promise.” Daniel shoots him a bit of puppy dog eyes and Lando can’t refuse when he’s suddenly weak in the knees. 

“f-fine.” He stutters out lost in the eyes of Aussie’s

Daniel smiles brightly and pulls him into a hug. “Great! Meet in front of the hotel at 8.”

Jesus 8pm? Does he not remember they’ve got a flight the next morning? For some PR work they had to do back at the McLaren HQ. 8pm was already late, and as Lando knows they probably won’t get back to their rooms to sleep till late. Maybe midnight if he’s lucky. Still, he’s already said yes so there was no backing out now. 

Plus some alone time with Daniel may actually cheer his mood up. 

So late at 7:30, he showered and even dressed up a little. He’s heading down the hotel stairs because frankly, he didn’t feel like awkwardly fidgeting in the elevator. In the lobby, He finds Daniel already waiting. He was seated in one of their lobby chairs that were all cushioned. So Daniel could have his leg comfortably hang off the edge without hurting the back of his knees.

Lando smiles and approaches him. “Hey.”

Daniel's attention moves from his phone to Lando. “Hey!” 

The way Daniel smiles when he sees him along with the twinkle in his eye has Lando choking on his own spit. “Jesus you ok?”

“I’m fine I’m fine.” He laughs embarrassed. “You're early.” Lando reminds him. 

“You are too.” Daniel raises an eyebrow. “Eager?” He jokes. 

Lando’s trying to hide his face by looking down but he can still feel Daniel's eyes on him. “Should we just go?” He tries to move past this. 

“Your wish is my command.” Daniel gets up from the chair gracefully and puts his arm out charmfully. Obviously, Lando shouldn’t take it, and he doesn’t. Though a part of him wanted to. Just for the hell of it. Because it’s Daniel he wouldn’t mind, if he did he wouldn’t offer. 

Instead, he laughs and begins to walk alone by Daniel's side. 

When they get to the bar it’s calm. It’s only going to be 8 late but not after-party late just yet. Daniel orders a beer and Lando decides to just follow his lead. Though he quickly abandoned the foul drink. 

Daniel just finished a conversation with a random person when he sees Lando sitting alone on his phone. “Jeez, are you writing the 101 book on how to look lame in a bar?” It wasn’t meant as an insult but Lando takes to it bitterly. He came here to be with Daniel and at his first opportunity Daniel dips. 

“Bored.” He plainly states. 

“Is that a fucking water?” Daniel points to his drink. Which he was of course right. 

“On the rocks.” Lando attempts to joke. Which Daniel finds hilarious. He’s laughing for a solid minute and Lando’s proud of himself. 

“Mate, we can get you something different. What do you like?” Now it seemed Daniel was trying to read him. 

“Dunno” Lando shrugs. “Nothing I guess. I don’t like alcohol.”

And suddenly Lando has told another joke. “Mate.” Daniel laughs. “No one likes alcohol. Just the effect really, then you get used to the taste.” This makes him feel embarrassed. He knows he’s younger but hates the constant reminder. 

“We’ll get you something sweet.” Daniel ends on. Or at least that’s where Lando expected him to end on, but just before Daniel turns away he looks Lando right in the eyes. He says, “maybe it’ll be as sweet as you.” Along with a wink. 

From that moment on he’s completely mesmerized by Daniel. What he was saying was what he was doing. Though simultaneously he couldn’t exactly process all that was going on. And at some point, he finds himself on the dance floor making the absolute worst moves but that didn’t matter because Daniel had to be worse than him. Or so he hoped. 

He also forgets what he’s drinking. He knows the name and can order it perfectly. But he isn’t fully aware when he just keeps ordering more. It was sweet, as Daniel promised. The first sip was even bearable. 

Now he’s assuming that’s where he lost it. The more he became buzzed the more he didn’t notice the slight sting of alcohol on his tongue. Instead, his mouth was a pink mess from the dye and he kept drinking as if it were juice. 

It wasn’t until Daniel placed his hand over Lando’s newest drink when he’s barely realizing the major effect. “Woah, what number is this?”

Lando shrugs. “Don’t know.”

Daniel’s raising an eyebrow through his eyes give away that he too is past just a buzz. “How much in the past hour?”

“What hour is it?” Lando genuinely didn’t know. He was happy and feeling good. Not only that but he’s completely forgotten who he is that for a while now he hasn’t been Lando Norris, the youngest British F1 driver. Instead, he’s just been Lando out with the man he possibly has a crush on. 

Maybe his drunk self is ever so smarter than his normal self because he’s able to confirm that he likes Daniel. Not only because he’s hot, because come on of course he is. But also because he cares and is sweet and always knows what to say to make you feel less awkward. 

“It’s midnight, mate,” Daniel confirms for him. 

At first, Lando widens his eyes but then they’re back to relaxed. “Alright then.” He tries to sip on his drink but Daniel stops him. 

“You’ve gone too far. Sugary drinks distract you. Just ride out the buzz.” Lando didn’t fully understand what Daniel just said but the next thing he knew he was being handed water and told to relax. Even though he didn’t want to, he didn't mind just sitting in a booth with Daniel. 

They get approached a couple of times. Girls wanting free drinks, people who knew who they were, and just randoms looking for a good night. Though luckily for them it wasn’t late enough for people to be looking for orgies. 

For the most part, they just talk and lightly sing to the songs that are being sung. An hour passes again and maybe Lando’s in a better condition than before but being real the damage has already been done.

“You’re hot.” He blurts out. 

“I’ve heard it around.” Daniel laughs. 

“No.” Lando grabs his forearm and leans in closer making sure he hears him properly. “ I think you’re hot.” 

Daniel nods again and leans in closer. “I think you’re very attractive yourself.” Now that’s got Lando in a giggling fit. He sits back in his seat and laughs to himself.

“You don’t mean that.” He tries to relax. 

“I do. I can’t deny the way your hair curls, or how your face squishes when you smile. Most importantly I can’t deny the way you upkeep yourself.” Daniel slips one compliment after the other and looks Lando up and down with hunger when saying his last line. The Brit might be starting to feel a certain way though the feeling immediately dies with Daniel’s next words. 

“You are a very handsome young man.”

The ‘handsome young man’ is rolling his eyes at the comment. “You sound so old.” 

Daniel shrugs and smiles. “Compared to you I must be a grandpa.”

“That’s weird.” Lando shrugs. “you’re not old.”

“Older than you for sure.” He laughs to soften his self burn. 

“Hardly.” The younger one plays with his drink. “Only a few years.”

“You think?” Daniel is asking curiously. 

Lando’s eyes are a bit unresponsive, unable to show his full face of emotions. “Yes! 9 years is long but that doesn’t make you old. Just older. You would be old if you were…” takes a moment for Lando to think of a number, any number really. “60 something.” He blurts. 

Daniel’s laughing, was Lando trying to reassure him of his age? If he was, it was partially working. “More wise I guess.” He shrugs. 

“Exactly.” Lando agrees. “There’s nothing wrong with being wiser.” He seemed really concerned for Daniel. As if Daniel was extremely upset over being older. He didn’t love it but he also didn’t really care. Though his words do have the Aussie smiling. 

“Let’s go for a walk.” He stands feeling his amusement of the club die down. He loved to party but every night had its stopping point. 

There are no questions asked when Lando follows him out. Daniel closes his tab and pays up real quick then leaves the club with Lando by his side. Lando wasn’t wobbling while they were walking but he definitely wasn’t walking in a straight line. Daniel knows he couldn’t be any better but at least he could think with less haze. 

Their hotel wasn’t a far walk. A few blocks. “It’s cold.” He hears Lando softly complain. 

“You're the one who wore a thin shirt.” 

Lando pushes his hands into his pants pockets pouting. He hears Daniel chuckle to himself before a warm arm is wrapped around him. “Better?” He asks. 

The Brit is watching the ground as they walk with a smile and light blush that he’ll blame on the alcohol. “Yes.” He mumbles. 

They walk like this all the way back to the hotel. Lando has practically got his eyes closed and lets his teammate lead the way. It’s only when they step into the elevator is when he’s becoming more aware of the world around him. 

“Floor?” Daniel’s Aussie accent runs smoothly through his mind. He's a bit distracted and can’t think so he just shrugs.  

There’s a small laugh. “Your room, what floor is it on?” Daniel asks again. 

Now Lando is thinking a little harder and honestly can’t remember. He reached into his pocket to find his key, it had to have the room number on it. It doesn’t. 

“I-I don’t know.” He is pondering some more but can’t come out with a number. “Seriously.” He is more worried. 

He’s starting to panic. “It's fine.” Daniel places a hand on his shoulder. Lando has always enjoyed the way Daniel liked to touch. 

“Stay in my room for the night.” He says simply. “We’ll ask the front desk in the morning what your room number is. Are you sure you can’t remember it?”

Lando just nods with embarrassment. How could he forget his room number? 

There’s no laughing when Daniel presses his floor instead. There’s no joking when he unlocks his own room and invites Lando for the night. Instead, it’s all calm. He’s given time to cool his anxieties that the alcohol was not helping and given the silence that his head is starting to need. 

Daniel casually tosses him some sweats then heads off to change himself. Lando is entirely grateful for Daniel and his sweet actions. It’s, of course, a one-bedroom hotel though it’s not a problem for them. Maybe it’s the alcohol or maybe it’s the fact that they’ve been here before, but there’s no hesitation when they both enter the bed.

The lights were only on for a second longer until Lando reached over and shut it off. It takes a moment but his eyes adjust. He watched the window for a short period just to relax himself more. Though even with the blankets he felt cold. So he gradually moves closer to Daniel, the other body in the bed that radiates so much extra warmth. 

Suddenly Daniel is moving completely. He switches sides and is now facing Lando, they are both very much awake. Without hesitation, Daniel pulls him close. “cold?” He gently asks. 

Lando is only able to let shaky breaths out as he reaches out to touch the mesmerizing Aussie’s face. Only after a large gulp is he able to respond. “Maybe.” His voice is small and a little scared. 

There’s no response. They just keep sharing glances. Lando with worried but lustful eyes while Daniel seemed tired and cautious. He has no idea how much time passes but he’s still yet to remove his hand, and they’ve still yet to unlock their eyes. 

Then he finds himself whispering to Daniel. “I want you.”

It was quiet afterward. But Lando isn’t scared. He doesn’t care. He wants him to know, he wants himself to know. He doesn’t enjoy all the games and awkward moments. 

When Daniel responds his words aren’t hurtful or disgusted nor does he push Lando away. He just yawns. “Want me when you’re sober.” He whispers back with the same desired tone before closing his own eyes. 

Lando doesn’t fight it. He doesn’t push anymore. He was tired and frankly wasn’t in the right state to argue with Daniel’s words. They were true and in no way meant to hurt him. “Okay.” He says simply. 

Notes:

Sorry that I don’t reply to comments ,’( I never really know how to respond then I overthink and forget, but I really do appreciate them :)

Chapter 7: What’s the opposite of no thoughts, head empty?

Summary:

Lando and Daniel have a moment together.

Notes:

Y’know when you think your life is finally being pieced together then one thing makes it all fall apart? Yeah I hate feeling.

Anyways sorry for jumping of the face of the earth and I gotta be real I might do it again. Continuously writing is hard.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

The next morning it’s calm. They both don’t wake till 20 past noon. Entirely missed their flight. “Fuck.” Lando hears Daniel groan. 

He doesn’t bother to ask. He can only assume that it’s late and they’re probably in trouble with the team. Suddenly the phone is ringing and surprisingly it’s the hotel’s phone and not any of their own. It’s also way louder than it needs to be. 

“Hello?” Daniel answers, barely sitting up in bed with clear sleep in his voice. 

“Uhh, what time were we supposed to leave? Right, can I extend? Just one more day. Sure. Yeah I’ll go down in a moment to pay. Ok, thank you.” 

Lando listens in on Daniel’s side of the conversation. He’s going to extend the room. Good, maybe he can sleep away the massive headache. They can get a flight for tomorrow and he’ll pack later today. 

Now he’s starting to remember. “Oh shit, My room.” Lando doesn’t bother to shoot up. Too exhausted for that. Instead he stays lying but is now looking at Daniel in panic. 

Daniel’s rubbing his eyes. “What about it?” He says nonchalant. 

“My stuff Daniel! They’ll throw it all out!” Lando’s shaking him the best he can while still laying. Consequently he’s shaking himself and has them both on the edge of throwing up. 

“Calm down.” Daniel pleads, releasing Lando’s grip. “I’ll go down and check. It’s alright.” He holds his head in pain after talking. 

“Will you?” Lando is pouting hoping Daniel tells him he can stay here. 

Just as always Daniel says the words Lando wants to hear. “Yeah, you stay here. Get some sleep and probably take some pills for that headache. You were drinking some real sugary drinks.” The Young one is nodding through the throbbing pain.

With that Daniel exists the bed. Now is when Lando is starting to remember the night. As Daniel closes the bathroom door Lando remembers the words that were spoken.

“Want me when you’re sober.” He feels his face heat up with embarrassment. God why did he have to be so stupid. 

Finally building a friendship with Daniel and he fucks it up by saying that. He has to fix this. Tell Daniel he didn’t mean it. Or at least he thinks he didn’t mean it. 

Maybe he should ignore it all together? He’s sure people have said worse to him, they were drunk, drunk people say stupid things. And do stupid things too, he can’t believe he forgot his hotel room. Even now he has no idea where his key is. Room numbers are hard to keep track of. 

Lando sighs to relax his nerves and try to disorient his train of thought. He didn’t notice that Daniel was leaving the room until he heard the door shut. 

It’s calm and quiet. Lando likes it. He turns to his side and snuggles back into the blanket trying to keep Daniel’s body heat trapped within the blankets. It works for a while but he can tell that it all leaks out and he’s only left with his own warmth. 

He wonders if they’ll sleep all day. Lay in bed together for even longer. Or if Daniel will force him up, go for a run or workout. He hopes not. 

“Want me when you’re sober.” Lando thinks of it more and more the longer Daniel is gone. Does Daniel want him ?

It’s a bizarre thought though he can’t let it go. Daniel could’ve just dismissed Lando’s words all together. But he didn’t. He responded, and it was a hopeful response too. 

Sure Lando’s been itching for more intimate time with Daniel. But that’s just because he wants to be friends. Close friends, like with Carlos. Only Daniel is nothing like Carlos and Lando prefers it. 

Daniel is funny, cheeky, energetic, a goofball, and also Hot who is only semi aware of the effect he has on people. How could someone not want to get close to him? Only now Lando’s wondering if he’s just been defending himself, his image. No. 

But does Daniel want him ? Lando’s never thought he was gay. Bisexual maybe. Everyone can appreciate a good looking man or woman. He’s never thought too much of it. Though with Daniel it’s been coming up more. Fantastis with a man have been more common as of late. Never Daniel but just men. 

What’s it like, he likes to wonder. For a man to care for you, to want you. 

“Hey.” Daniel announces as he enters the room. Lando has no idea how long it’s been. He’s just been bundled up trying not to overthink, and failing miserably. 

“I got your stuff.” He rolls Landon’s luggage into the room and places the duffle bag onto the ground. 

Lando sits up with a smile and keeps the blankets snug around him. “Thanks, hope it wasn’t too much.” He feels guilty remembering the way he had left his room. 

Daniel stands and stretches. “Na, S’all good. It’s the only workout I’ll get all day.” His body loosens up a lot as he heads back over to the bed. 

He’s yawning as he sits down next to Lando. “Nothing much we can do now. I talked to Charlotte and Jim, it’s cool they said. No one was too angry, just the fact that they couldn’t get a hold of us.” Daniel shrugs. It’s no big deal. Lando just nods along and hums in response, wondering if it really is no big deal or if Daniel is just saying it’s not. 

He knows Daniel can under play things, it’s something he’s sorta admired. To not let anything get under his skin. Things are gonna happen and you can’t stop that. He remembers hearing Daniel say that. 

It’s silent between them till Daniel reaches for the blanket. Lando doesn’t release them. “Hey, give me some.” Daniel chuckles. 

He just shakes his head. “The heat will escape.” Lando explains. 

with more force this time Daniel manages to rip the blankets from Lando entirely releasing all the warmth. “Noooo.” Lando cries in protest to which Daniel just laughs and cuddles closely to Lando. 

“It’s fine, I'll provide extra warmth.” He smiles tiredly. Lando doesn’t put up a fight when Daniel holds him close. It’s fine, they do this. Daniel likes to be close to people, that’s just Dan.

Daniel is settling into the bed and closing his eyes. Lando is aware of this as he hears Daniel let out a sleepy sigh before his body fully relaxes. Yet he wants Daniel to be awake. To be in the moment as they lay together. He doesn’t know why he just does. He wants to talk for hours and never get bored of him. 

“When is our flight?” He asks. Daniel stirs but ultimately wakes up enough to tell him. “Tomorrow at 10am.”

“10am?” Lando whines. Daniel hums back and that ends the conversation that didn’t even start. 

So this time Lando chooses to move around a bit. Shifting from one side to the other just to settle back into the same exact spot. When he lays tucked into the side of Daniel. They look at each other. 

“What are you doing?” Daniel asks. 

And Lando shrugs with a mischievous smile. “Getting comfortable.”

“You went back to the same spot?” 

“It was comfortable.”

Daniel doesn’t fight him. Just looks amazed and playfully annoyed by his actions then rests his head again. It’s silent and Lando does not like it. But there’s not much else he can do. Plus depriving Daniel of sleep is rude and selfish no matter how much Lando wants it. 

“Are we doing anything today?” This time it’s Daniel who’s asked the question. 

Lando looks at him again. “I don’t know, are we?”

He looks iffy. “I kinda don’t want to.” Lando doesn’t mind. He smiles and settles deeper into Daniel’s side. “Then we won’t.” He says simply. 

“I’m not really tired anymore.” Daniel's voice is lower this time. Like he’s annoyed to admit it. Lando hides his smile in Daniel’s oh so soft hoodie. 

“We can just lay here.” Lando suggests and tries to stay cool as if that’s not exactly what he wanted. He doesn’t need to see Daniel’s face to know he’s smiling. 

They do lay. In silence, in peace. It’s nice. Lando loves it. He starts to wonder, does Max feel this content when with Daniel too? Lando pushes the thought down but it doesn’t stay. 

His mind fills with curiosity as to how Daniel functions in a relationship. What does he reserve specifically for Max? Then he’s back to their open relationship. Not much is reserved when they’ve allowed each other to share their bodies with others. Where is the line? What can you do and what can’t you do? 

“Daniel.” Lando starts. 

“Mmh.” Daniel brushes the Brit’s hairs fondly. 

Lando’s got no clue what he wants to say. What would he ask? Tell me about Max and your relationship? No, that’s rude. Why do you sleep with other people ? That's so much worse. 

He decides to say nothing at all. Daniel doesn’t seem to mind it. Giving Lando his space while simultaneously leaving no room between their bodies. 

“Wanna get room service?” Daniel suggests and Lando isn’t opposed to it but he also doesn’t want to move. 

Daniel doesn’t wait for a real response before he’s reaching over for the phone. He puts in an order having to ask what they have because he has no idea where their little menu has gone. It takes a minute but then Daniel is finally hanging up. 

He lets Lando settle. “You’re comfortable.” The younger one says softly. 

This makes Daniel laugh. “Yeah? I think I’ve been told that before.” 

“By who.” Lando doesn’t hesitate to ask. 

Daniel shrugs. “People, Max.” He answers simply. 

So Max and Daniel have moments like this all the time? Have they ever done exactly this? Miss a flight then lay together all day? Lando needs to stop being so curious. His mind falls back to the previous night. 

“Daniel…” he starts again, “about last night.” He says but is unable to finish the thought when the door is being knocked on. He sees Daniel smiles then jump up to go get the food. Naturally he brings it to the bed. 

“You want to eat here?” Lando asks concerns for the sheets. 

He nods. “This isn’t my own bed so it’s fine.” He shrugs. 

Lando goes along with it to not ruin the moment. Plus it doesn’t really matter. Daniel’s right. People have probably done worse to these sheets anyways. 

They eat in mostly silence because really it’s hard to talk with your mouth full. But it’s nice. Lando loves it. Soaks in every minute of it. He’s starting to doubt his want for friendship but he’s not letting that get to him, yet. 

“I meant what I said, last night. Assuming you remember it.” Daniel says simply. Fearless, Lando doesn’t feel a signal muscle tense in Daniel’s body. Yet he’s sure Daniel feels his own body go stiff. 

In hindsight that could mean anything. People say a lot of things in just one night. But they both know exactly what they’re talking about. “But I’m sure you want to think about everything for longer so I’m not going to say anything else.” He finishes. Lando hates that he’s right. 

Daniel starts a new conversation. “So how’s your family been?”


10am the next day they’re boarding their flight. Their seats are nowhere near each other. Lando gets time to himself. He shrugs his headphones on and stares out the window. 

What do I want? He asks himself. 

Their relationship seems to be quickly turning to something more. Lando has to wonder if Daniel really is all that friendly or if he just likes Lando. 

The Brit can’t deny the smile on his face at the thought of Daniel admiring him. Which only solidifies that maybe Lando does want in, in that way too. Lily, he thinks of. He likes her a lot. Daniel won’t ever go anywhere. But her. She could be so much more. 

They could one day run off together. He’d like that too. Start a family in the future. She always seemed the type to want to. Lando maybe less so but still for it. But then he comes right back to Daniel. How does he settle this want and desire? The almost need to be closer. Does it fade?

He hopes. What can he do to make it fade faster? He wonders. 

Notes:

Sorry for it being so short. :/

Notes:

Comments & kudos appreciated :)