Actions

Work Header

Like Fire on Ice...

Summary:

After the events of the prior few years transpired, the world is a mess; Republic City is no exception. Mako is forced to find work as a freelancer around the world due to his circumstances, and is swept away into a new adventure, wherein he will come face-to-face with his personal trauma, his greatest regrets, his history of failed relationships, and in this, he will find new love. [Will Update Weekly on Mondays]

Notes:

"I would like to preface this work by stating that there are a number of subjects I have sought to address candidly within this work that are applicable to the real world. There is a chance that you could feel offended or taken aback. I have attempted to preserve many of the characters as they were in the series, but in a much more human light. This will have taken place a few years after the events of Season four, and thus everyone is a little more mature.

I love to hear from you as the reader and how this story affected you personally, as i have placed a lot of emotional effort into its development, and if you want to message me to scream at me or profess your love for me I would be happy to speak to you either way.

I will forewarn you of themes reflective of police brutality, paralleling with the current policing situation within the United States, references to domestic violence, particularly that within the context of lesbian demographics, and a number of other themes of traumatic events that occurred throughout the lives of these characters.

Thank you for your time, your eyes, and your heart," - Sean A.

Chapter 1: I: The Setting Sun

Chapter Text

 

 

 

 

 

 

Part I:

"All units on the South Side: we have a 10-30B At the RC Union on South Side Yue Bay and Recent Reports of 10-10S held up by a couple units requesting back up," the radio sounded. His head turned and he mounted his bike, igniting it and motoring off, leaning into the wind.

"Mako!" raised one of the detectives on scene, "Get down we've got Firebenders!" 

Mako looked to the scene, running up and hiding behind the coupe that the collective hid behind, "Happy to see me?" he asked with a grin.

"Not the time!" the officer directed, "they've got us pinned down out he-"

 

*PFFsShheew!*

 

The collective ducked their heads beneath the roof of the car.

"Why haven't we moved in with EOD gear yet?!" Mako raised, stepping out past the hood of the car when suddenly, he was jerked back off his feet, a metal tendril grabbing him around the waistline as he heard the air around him crackle and arc with a bright light! 

He landed with a grunt and a shocked expression, turning to the other officers, "Good point!" he shouted, "we got to get in around the back!" he called over fire.

"What do you mean?! There's fire comin' outta there every second! We can't get back there!"

"Not with that attitude! Follow me!" he shouted running out from the side of the car the metalbenders following him! They found themselves rained on with arcs, Mako catching one and dealing it right back with a scarred arm!

Explosions broke out in the bank.

The metalbenders came around into the alleyway, they meet more Agni Kais, tossing rocks left and right!

Metal vines reach around the rock tossers and drag them up by their heels from the rafters, and dropping them onto their heads, and they're buried to their shoulders!

They stack up along the wall, preparing a breach, Mako the first to enter. Mako kicks the door in with fire, and a flashbang is tossed in!

The flashbang goes off, and they move in!

The room fills with smoke and Mako makes his way into a corner setting up dominance of the room from the high point of the corner!

He rushes upstairs, rains fire down on Agni kai heads!

The team vaults over the counter and is quick to move in, and thus, The Agni Kais are on the move, forced out the doors, stuffed desperately into vans and off!

"Mako they're on the move!" shouts the cop, "Southbound of 34th! All units BOLO! BOLO! on the southside four utility vans moving in convoy. Over!"

Mako blasts his way out a window and onto his bike where he roared after the vans

"Don't lose 'em, Unit 367M I'm en route! Over" he shouts into his radio.

Mako drives down the center of the road, he's dodging carts, civilians.

"I got eyes on the convoy moving eastbound on Slide rd. Over!"

"Roger, setting up a roadblock, this is Unit 468B! on East Slide! Over!" Bolin acknowledges.

Mako rears up with lightning from his bike, shooting just beneath the van in front of them, causing it to speed up.

The doors on the back of the van open, and fire erupts from it!

Mako takes evasive maneuvers, dodging blows left and right, before dealing a precise streak of fire of his own into the back of the van, it explodes, sending the van into a fishtail before streaking sideways to a halt! 

"Unit 489C I got these guys pulled over, Mike, you get after the rest! Over!"

"Roger, in pursuit of three vans moving past 50th on East Slide! B! How's that Roadblock?! Over!"

"Roadblock set on East Slide and 82nd! Over!"

"Block that whole intersection make sure they can't get away! Over!"

"Roger on it forthwith! Over!"

"Here we go!" Mako said, egging the perps on with more blasts of fire.

They're on fast approach, they come to a screeching halt on the frontside, but the vans in back haven't halted soon enoug, They're preoccupied with Mako!

Suddenly brakes are screeching! Vans are sliding and rear-ending, trapped between the vans and the wall Bolin had set! Bolin Rushes to the Vans, knocking them flat on their side, Trapping the perps in the earth!

"Need Backup at East slide and 82nd Detain the perps! Bring a van! Over!"

"Affirmative, this is dispatch, we got a van coming your way, how many perps? Over?"

"Ten give or take, over!"

"Acknowledged, sending units your way, when the next two arrive get back to station. Over."

"Purpose, over?"

"Administrator request; over!"

"Roger, awaiting arrival of further units! Over."

"Dude! Nice chase!" Bolin said, patting Mako on the back.

"Thanks for the barrier! You did good man!" he said, looking over down the road, "Those look like the units I'm waiting for, I gotta go!" said Mako, mounting his bike.

"See you back at the station!" shouted Bolin as Mako roared off on his bike. He showed up back at the station, parking his bike neatly out front.

"Listen, I did what I had to do to get the guy restrained okay?!" shouted an officer as the chief sat before him. Mako sat outside of the double doors leading to her office.

The secretary of the chief typed away at the typewriter at her desk, clicking incessantly with the occasional ding and draw. It was nearly the end of the dayshift and the sun had shaded the city orange as it approached the horizon. He fiddled with his pen, occasionally clicking it, but trying to be considerate of others. Everyone was on edge within the office, publishing statements, phone calls ringing, typewriters dinging, fountain pens scribbling notes and filling out details on paperwork.

"I am your superior officer, and you will not raise your voice at me! Am I clear?!" Lin shouted. She looked to see that Mako arrived, seeing his head from the window in her office.

"Get out of here! You're on paperwork for the next month!" she raised at the officer who rose and stormed out. Lin's face went into her hand, her breathing heavy, and Mako closed the door. Her room was dusty, and there were papers everywhere. Lin always was always insistent on a professional demeanor and appearance, especially regarding office space, and this concerned Mako.

"Hey…" he asked in a softened tone of voice, "How are you holding up?" he asked.

"This shit's getting out of hand. The approval rating has gone down by forty percent since that damned disaster with that kid in Ba Sing Se, and Zhu Li has been all over my ass about the PR since!" Lin remarked, slamming her fist down on the desk.

Mako paused for a good minute allowing for her to cool off.

The bags beneath her eyes had gradually become more pronounced in the last few weeks with the stress of the situation, especially the protests, and the color had gradually drained from her face.

"I know this may be a bad time to ask… but can I pour some tea for you?" he asked.

"I don't need tea! I need for the PR to go back up so I can get some sleep for the first full night in three weeks!" she shouted.

He waited another moment.

"I'm sorry," she sighed, "Why the hell are you here again?" she asked.

"I was hoping you could tell me Chief," he said, smirking.

She took a deep breath and pulled out a file and put her face in her right hand again.

He opened the file to find a picture of a car accident, one he was present for. It involved an intoxicated driver, killing a young man and a woman. He opened the file to look through the details of the case, recalling all of the information regarding the perp and he flipped through the document to find nothing of peculiarity.

"I solved this case; I found this guy. what's the problem?" he asked.

"The DA let the little shit off is what the problem is!"

"Wha-wh-… Why the hell would she do that?"

"Do I look like I know?!" she shouted at him. The office was bustling full of calls, paperwork, complaints, and frustration. Lin unfolded the blinds to view the other officers present within the room and sighed deeply, her hair turning further grey, and her eyes sinking into her skull. Her own reflection sometimes frightened her to look at.

"I know you would have wanted to know, so I told you," She said calmly, in resignation, "You were involved in that case, and I saw you put so much effort into catching this crook of a kid, and I know you would have wanted to know that justice was less than served here. The DA has been overwhelmed with so much PR bullshit that the kid's parents jumped in and threatened to bring the media down on them. That kid killed people doing what he did… and they just, let him off, with a slap on the wrist," she told him. He sighed deeply.

"That…" he said, "This is disappointing to hear."

"It's more than disappointing, it's a load of fucking bullshit is what it is!" she raised her voice again.

"It's awful that the DA would betray us like this, but Zhu Li…" he began. Lin turned to face him, "I don't know what to say."

"There's nothing to say, she's just another politician now. Just like all the rest of them," she said, sitting down at her desk.

"When's the last time you ate?" he asked her.

"Mako, I don't know wha-"

"I ask because we need you to be okay, Lin." She shook her head and turned up her hand in a gesture of resignation.

"I don't know, this morning I guess?" she said.

"I want to get you something, and I'll come back with it. Will that be alright?" he asked. She rubbed her eyes and shook her head for a moment.

"I guess, if you can be back in the next ten minutes with it because I have a meeting in thirty," she said to him.

"I'll be back sooner than that," he told her, standing from his chair, and stepping out the returned in a moment with a small box, placing it upon her desk, gently unpacking it with a disposable cup of Chamomile.

She shut her eyes for a moment, massaging her temples.

"Thank you, chief, for speaking with me," he said.

She was silent for a moment, until he moved for the door.

"...Thank you, Mako," she said to him.

Mako makes his way back, returning to his apartment, as his shift had recently ended.

He opened the door to his apartment and sat on the chair where he looked out the window into the city below. It was quiet.

He breathed very deeply, massaging the scowl of his own forehead, to find it locked badly with tension. He removed his uniform and undershirt, feeling the cool air cover him in their place. It was hot out. There was a knock at the door.

"What's up?" he asked as soon as he opened the door.

"Oh, um, is this a bad time?" Opal asked.

"Oh, uhh, Bolin's not here right now," he said.

"Oh, okay, I've brought some stuff with me for me and him to share this evening, would it be alright if I come in?" she asked nervously.

"Yeah, yeah, let me get dressed right quick," he said wearily.

He donned a shirt and turned on the light, being seated back on the chair comfortably next to the window.

She began placing several items from a basket upon the counter within the kitchen.

The new apartment had treated them well, with Opal often staying the night, sometimes on the couch and sometimes in Bolin's room. It was a sizeable suite for the city, as most rooms became very expensive due to the skyrocket in demand after Kuvira's assault.

At the end of the room was a very large window, almost from floor to ceiling, and this was his usual post-work routine, occasionally sipping at a glass of something to relax a bit. It was a part of the day that he looked forward to.

"How is cop stuff?"

"Oh, you know," he said, "Same old stuff honestly."

"Do you know when Bolin will be back?"

"His shift ended a few minutes ago actually," he said, "He should be home soon." There was another knock at the door. "That should be him!" he said getting up from his chair.

"What's up du-, oh… hey Asami," he said, suddenly brightening his tone.

"Hey! I've been meaning to get to see you!" she said, "Could I… come inside, or is now a bad time?" she inquired.

"Umm, yeah, Bolin will be here shortly and Opal's in the kitchen now. Come on in," he said ushering her inside, "What brings you here?" he asked.

"I was actually hoping to talk to you if you don't mind?" she requested.

"Oh, okay. What about?"

"Well… It's actually about Korra?"

He nodded for a moment, "Okay… is everything, alright?"

"Well… not exactly."

"Are you sure that talking about this with me would be a good idea?" he asked, "I mean- just understanding all of the history, I just don't want to be-"

"We had a fight… and it was really bad… really, really bad." She interrupted. There was a new silence within the room.

Even Opal had stopped her dealings with groceries to peak down the hallway where they were in the living room.

Asami had sat out on a footstool and Mako on his usual chair, and they just looked at one another, unable to find words.

"Is… everything okay?... Are you okay?" he asked softly.

"I don't know, I just saw her get really… really mad, and she started throwing things around, and the bending…" she paused and began to lose her composure a bit.

Opal approached from the kitchen, sitting down next to Asami.

"Oh, umm, okay-…" he uttered.

There was another knock on the door, "I'll be back in a moment."

Opal took her hand within hers and Mako went to answer the door, eying through the peephole this time prior to opening, and seeing Bolin.

"Dude, don't you have a key?" he asked as soon as he opened the door.

"Oh, yeah, I just left it in my room, thanks for- Is… everything okay?" he asked walking in. Bolin quickly read the room and his facial expression changed from his usual comic self.

"Oh… umm yeah, Asami just came to talk about something, and Opal came to drop something off before, and… I don't know," he said, ushering Bolin inside and shutting the door after him.

"Okay," he said to her sitting back down and clasping his hands, leaning to her, "Do you feel like talking about any of this?" he asked.

"I don't know, it just scared me to see her get mad. I've seen her get angry before but this last time I just felt so helpless all of the sudden," she said, "I wanted to ask how you dealt with situations like these," she said as Bolin sat next to Opal who had already zoned into the conversation.

Mako thought heavily about the fits of rage he had seen Korra fly into in their time together.

"Uhh," Mako winced slightly, "I'm not sure how to answer that," he said.

"I just want to know how to deescalate the situation and I figured that you have more experience with her than I do at this point."

"I know, but I... I didn't really do a good job of dealing with her moments… or her in general. I'm not really a good person to ask."

"What do you mean?" she asked as the others looked to him flustered.

He noticed their attention.

"Would you two mind giving us a moment?" he asked Bolin and Opal.

They nodded and stood to move into the kitchen together.

"Hey, Mako, could I talk to you, after this is up?" Bolin asked as he stood in the doorway to the kitchen.

"Yeah, just give us a moment and I'll be ready," he affirmed.

"Okay," he paused, shifting to a softer tone, "I was… not a good boyfriend, to either of you…" he said, "I was really not good at being a boyfriend in general."

"I don't-" she paused.

"I had some moments with Korra as well where she… kind of flew off the handle, and I didn't really manage them very well myself," he told her, scratching his neck.

"What all happened?" she asked.

"Well, you remember the whole thing where she lost her memory and she said she didn't remember the fight we had, and… this was right after they released me from prison with that whole thing with Varrick."

"Oh… yeah, I remember that!"

"Well… that conversation, or fight, sort of started with her kicking my desk across a room…" he said nervously, "And…"

She paused, "And?"

"…I wasn't good to you Asami," he said with resignation, "I should have told her what happened. I haven't brought myself to ever apologize because I've just never…" he lapsed with wide eyes out of what he was saying, "Sorry, I think that's a different conversation I'm confusing with this one," he said to her awkwardly.

She tilted her head for a moment.

"Listen… You should know that it isn't your job to address these problems," he continued, "If she flies off the handle, then the best thing for you to do is to just get out of there and wait for her to cool off. I know you care about her and want to help her, believe me, I do too, but you…" he paused.

"I?..."

"It's different with you. It's not that you aren't capable of calming her down, but you will get hurt trying to get to her, and that is not something I want happening to you. It's not something that you should have to do."

"…Okay," she said softly, "So, I just… get up and leave?"

"Yes," he told her, "That is exactly what you should do."

"Umm, okay, I guess."

"I'm sorry, I wish I had more helpful advice to give really," he said looking off to the side.

His gaze over the city paused a moment, "Wait here a moment," he told her walking off to reach into the jacket of his uniform. He returned and handed her a card.

"This is a friend of mine, she's a social worker that I work with a lot on the force. If something happens, something that scares you, or if she gets mad at you or... or hits you… You call her as soon as you can and come here to the apartment." he told her, "Opal has a few spare keys lying around that I think she'd be glad to hand you in case none of us are here, so if you feel comfortable with that, you are definitely welcome to take one."

"Okay, I… I will keep this in my wallet, and… I will talk to Opal." she said to him of the card as she stood with an awkward facial expression.

"Good. Be careful, and stay safe," he said to her in return, "Are you wanting to stick around or are you going to be on your way here soon?"

"I actually do need to be heading out here soon; I have a meeting across town in an hour."

"Okay, I'll let you go then," he said as they made their way out, and as Asami began to walk down the hallway, she paused, and turned back to him.

"You weren't... such a bad boyfriend, Mako," she told him.

He looked away and paused.

"I'll still feel like I was, even if you tell me not to," he said somberly.

She paused a moment.

"I told you once that I felt safe when I was with you… Do you remember that? It was around when we first started dating," she told him.

He looked up and to her, "Yeah, I do remember that; you asked me about my scarf, and we were riding through the park, right?" he asked smiling for a moment.

"Yeah!" she responded, "I came to you to talk to you today… because I still do." There was silence for a moment as Mako looked stunned slightly.

"I'm... glad that I can help you to feel that way," he said back to her assured but awkwardly, "if you need any help with this in the future, I'd be happy to do my best."

"I'll let you know how things work out," she said smiling and turning down the hallway.

Mako nodded and closed the door finding Bolin right behind him. He was startled for a moment.

"Hey dude wh-"

"Are Asami and Korra doing, okay?" he asked.

"Yeah man, they're just hitting a rough patch," Mako assured his brother.

"Are you sure? I heard a lot of stuff about Korra getting really mad and-"

"They're fine dude, I promise!" Mako returned, patting Bolin on the back.

"Mako," Bolin said with a darkened tone, different than his usual, "We're required by law to report anything about abuse."

"It's not abuse dude, nothing happened, okay? Korra just had one of her moments. She has them all the time."

"Lin told me that even if we were suspicious of ab-"

"Look, dude, there's nothing going on, I promise. I know Both of them; I literally dated both of them," he said grinning, "Korra wouldn't do that, and she's been good for Asami, and I can tell." He filled a glass with water and Bolin followed him into the kitchen where Opal was cutting green onions.

Bolin gave him a look, which he took notice of, and he set the glass down and sighed.

"Alright look," he said, "We'll keep track of her, and we'll check in on her once or twice a week just to make sure she's okay. Will that make you feel better?" Mako asked.

"Yeah, I guess," Bolin responded.

"Alright," Mako said to him.

"I just care about Asami is all," he said, getting a side-eye from Opal, "No, Not like-uggh, okay, I meant, like-in a platonic way-" he stumbled. Opal giggled at him.

"I know, I'm just messing with you, I promise," she told him as Bolin approached and hugged her from behind as she minced the spices.

"I care about her too," Mako said softly having moved over to his chair, overlooking the city.

The alarm clock rang out at about 6:30 in the morning, rousing him from his sleep.

Coffee had been hot and prepared already, so he smelled from the kitchen.

He walked in, making his way around the doorway, peeking into the kitchen where Bolin waited.

"Dude, did you even sleep last night?" Mako asked.

"Yeah, I just woke up at around four… couldn't get back to bed."

"You still thinking about yesterday?" Mako inquired, preparing a mug for himself from the pot.

Opal eventually staggered to the table, and Mako looked with confusion over to Bolin, "She stay over?"

"Oh, yeah, she stayed in my room," Bolin mumbled, "What's happening today? With the president I mean?"

"Oh, Prezzy Moon is supposed to be doing some press conference and some people from the force are supposed to be there."

"Are you going?" Bolin asked.

"Yeah, Lin wants me to be next to her for the ordeal."

"What is all of this supposed to be about?"

"I don't even know dude, this whole garbage with the DA and the President and public relations. Stuff's been breaking down 'cause of all the recent events going on with police forces," Mako said, sipping his coffee shortly, thereafter, pouring himself some water to drink alongside.

"Do you think they'll be going through with the budget cuts? I was hired just recently; will they fire me?" asked Bolin.

"I-… I don't know man; I'm sure whatever happens, you'll be able to find work soon enough. You've been a good cop." Mako made eggs and bacon for the morning, setting a few rice buns to the side, and sitting himself back in his chair, breathing deeply, letting the morning sink in.

The steam rose from his breakfast as Bolin slowly reached over to snatch a bun.

Opal giggled slightly at this. Mako opened his eye halfway and blew a puff of hot air out to where he reached causing Bolin to pull it back.

"Keep your hands... off my buns," he said smirking.

The meeting took place in front of the town hall where reporters, citizens, passersby, administrators and more had gathered to witness the commentary on the current situation. Mako stood between President Moon, Varrick, Lin, the DA, and the public, some voicing their favor, most voicing their bitterness now.

Mako kept them at bay with a scowl on his face, keeping reporters from swarming them with their notepads, cameras, and questions.

The entourage made their way to the press conference desk, most sitting at their assigned positions where their nameplates rested.

The DA sat next to the president however, originally Lin's position. She switched the nameplates, placing hers beside the president where Lin's had once been. Lin glared at her with crossed arms and a raised eyebrow.

"Yikes, quite a bold move in front of the public," Varrick said to Mako aloud, both being assigned to be stood behind the desk, "How's it going Mako?!" he asked in his usual cartoonish tone.

"Oh, you know…" he said rolling his eyes a minute, "the usual police stuff."

"No talking either of you!" the DA shouted over the crowd.

"Sheesh, why not just put Raiko in that chair?" asked Varrick to the side, receiving a glare from Zhu Li and a grin from Mako.

"If we may get this press conference started; to clarify, we are meeting today to announce recent city-wide policy changes regarding the police force and budget," Zhu Li announced, "The DA will begin with an announcement regarding the recent issue of prosecution of the intoxicated driver incident near 34th street."

The DA stood, taking the time to open her briefcase before walking to the podium with a speech fabricated prior to the event, "The Office of the DA will not be moving forward with the case regarding the intoxicated driver. There will be no further updates, nor will there be questions regarding the matter. The judge upon hearing the case determined that not enough effective witnesses had been present at the incident to officially determine the nature of the accident, and the autopsy results were inadmissible within the court of law for reasons to remain undisclosed," she said to an audience that threw up their hands and shouted at her in dismay.

Lin and Zhu Li both sighed deeply, Lin closing her eyes and clenching her teeth for a moment before nodding and looking off to the side. Zhu Li rose to take the DA's place at the table. Lin looked as if she steamed to be sitting beside the District Attorney, refusing to even look her direction.

"Regarding recent events across the earth kingdom, and the recent statistical findings of police performance," she began before pausing to close her eyes, "The city council of Republic City has officially opted to dock the annual police budget by 7.8 million from its annual allotment of funds." Lin clenched the chair in which she sat leaving a clear print of her own hand, looking red in the face, but still maintaining her composure, taking a moment to relax and take a deep breath.

"The budget will be readministered into social services to decrease rates of crime throughout the city," she continued.

Even Varrick shook his head, bringing his face to one of his hands.

"Wow," Varrick mumbled under his breath, "I've screwed over a city or two in my day, but this is really something else," he grinned.

"You're gonna get us in trouble," Mako mumbled in return.

"There will be no further commentary," the DA raised, cutting off the president, cutting glares from half the city.

Mako escorted the group from the table atop the stage and into the building, keeping a very unruly audience at bay, as much as a few officers may have been tempted to join in the ruckus. He, Varrick, Zhu Li, and Lin kept straight faces.

Lin eventually broke off to find a bathroom, and Zhu Li followed her. The two of them met inside, where Lin placed both hands atop the counter in front of the mirror, leaning forward onto it. There were a few minutes pause.

"… I'm sorry… I tried all that I could to convince th-" she stopped abruptly to silence.

"… I know, but I'm still disappointed," Lin returned, "My mother gave me this city, placing into my hands, and soon enough it will turn into a madhouse."

"That's not neces-"

"Don't tell me it's not true, Zhu Li!" she raised, turning to the president, "We saw it in Ba Sing Se! We saw it in the Qing Province! They took millions from the police and gave it to some worthless government organizations, and when the police were thinned out all across the city, the homicide rate went up overnight!" she shouted thrusting her fist into the mirror in front of her, cracking it clear to the end of the room, "Hundreds of people have died since then!" she raised, Mako and Varrick wincing from outside of the bathroom where they stood guard and listened.

Zhu Li began to tear up.

"I'm sorry… I-I'm doing all that I can," she said, her voice breaking.

Lin sighed and spoke softly to her as she silently cried a moment.

"I know, Moon… I'm not mad at you, I promise," Lin assured her.

Zhu Li broke away, Taking Lin's hand.

"Let me help you, please," she said, and as she did, Lin noticed that her hand had bled since the impact against the mirror.

Zhu Li aided her, running her hand beneath cold water, where Zhu Li took a sharpened pair of tweezers from her purse, picking small shards from her wound, and wrapped it in a bandage.

"You are prepared for damn near anything aren't you?" she said to the president.

"You work for Varrick long enough, and you find yourself in strange situations," she said, snickering. 

Lin patted her on the shoulder

"I won't let this city go to ruin; I promise," Zhu Li said softly, her voice breaking a bit.

"I know sweetheart. I just can't stand the city council sometimes."

"I'll get that money back where it belongs, I just need more time."

"I believe in you, Moon," she said as they exited, Mako and Varrick stood immediately at attention from their position, listening through the door.

"V-Varrick what?" Zhu Li asked, squinting and tilting.

"What?" he asked.

"What are you doing?" she grinned at his stance of attention.

"Well, I figured this guy looked lonely, I couldn't stand to leave him all by himself!" Varrick said to her elbowing Mako who broke his attention, laughing with a facepalm.

"Mako, that is all we will need of you today I'm afraid; why don't you head home," Lin said to him.

"Are you sure you have everything," he asked her.

"Yes, I am; get lost," she said in return to him. He snickered for a moment before leaving the city hall to return home.

He turned his key in the door and opened the door to find Opal, Bolin, and Asami, seated in the living room, watching the broadcast of the conference.

"Dude! That's so unfair!" Bolin shouted.

"Yeah, yeah it is honestly," Mako said removing the top layer of his uniform to reveal his undershirt.

"They'll probably just cut down on some gas and ground the airships a lot more; I'm sure we'll find a way to work with it," Mako said, patting his brother on the shoulder, "You'll be fine dude, I promise." He sat in his chair overlooking the city, just out of the sun. The AC felt great, and he leaned his head back.

"So how is Korra?" Mako asked aloud to the ceiling.

"Oh, she's…" Asami paused.

"Is she here?" Mako asked raising his head.

"Oh, no she's… She's off doing something, else…" she said.

Mako opened his eyes and held a serious look on his face, he slowly made his way back up and tilted his head at her.

"Asami," he raised for a moment, "Are you sure you're doing, okay?" he asked. There was a silence in the room, "I'm sorry, I know I keep pushing, but I get gut feelings about these situations; I don't like to ignore them." The three looked at one another, returning some unsure faces.

"… did something happen?" he asked quietly. She looked unsettled, "You don't have to answer that if you don't want to."

"… yeah actually, I came to talk to you about it, but Bolin and Opal were the only ones here" she raised softly.

"Mako… we have to get this in… today," Bolin said.

"I don't know, I don't think they can do anything about it unless there is incidental violence occurring; otherwise, it's just a report. They have it that way so that if someone winds up…" he paused out of regard, "Less than well… they have some level of evidence." He paused for a second.

"Asami…" he began, "Did she… hurt you?" The question was met with silence for a good minute as she looked a bit nervous at him and the others.

"… it was an accident," she said. Mako sat back and placed his hand on the top of his head, gripping his hair and sighing.

"Okay, I'm not going to ask any further questions about it, but if you want to talk, I am here, I promise … Bolin, go ahead and do the paperwork. I've been involved with these two prior, and it just won't look right if I file a report."

"It was just-."

"I know it may have been an 'accident' Asami, but Bolin and I are required by law to report 'accidents' like these. We'll go to jail if we don't."

"I just got hit by a rock is all," she said, and she lifted her shirt slightly, to reveal a blue welt the size of a fist, Opal covered her mouth in reaction "It was during one of the incidents the other day, and she immediately apologized."

"Oh, Spirits," he whispered to himself, "Alright, maybe we should get you checked out; a hit like that can produce clots sometimes, so go see a doctor about it at least."

"Can I take you?" Opal asked. Asami nodded briefly, "C'mon, let's get you looked at." The two left soon after donning their shoes. He sat back in his chair a moment, massaging his forehead again. He moved into the kitchen and poured himself some water.

"I'm sorry man, I should've heard you out more," Mako said, shaking his head and thus drinking his tap water.

"It's alright dude, I'm just glad we can get her the help she needs."

"I am too…" he said, nodding at the remark.

The police station was a mess the following day. Most patrols had been suspended in favor of a lighter police presence, and resultingly, calls went up; dispatch was quickly becoming overwhelmed with the number of incidents breaking out in the south side. There were papers everywhere, and people were lined up to file complaints. Mako shook his head as he walked in.

"Where are they all coming from?" Mako said.

"Everywhere that we pulled out. The policy ran effective immediately, and as soon as we got the call to come back to the station, something happened," one of the officers at a desk reported.

"What? What all happened?" he asked.

"Everything, c'mon dude! I don't know! Just pick up the phone and find out for yourself!" shouted the officer. Mako looked over to Lin's office, empty with nothing but her with her face in one of her hands. He felt for her. He made his way to his desk where the phone rang.

"This is Mako," he said.

"Mako, we have received recent reports of an individual being admitted to SRC General with a series of bruises and gashes and we have reason to believe she is well known to you, may we ask you a few questions?"

"I suppose you, I don't know if I have a lot to say. This is Asami Sato we are speaking of, correct?"

"That we cannot confirm, as it would be a HIPAA violation, however, all we can say is that she named you as one of her emergency contacts when she was admitted."

"Oh, okay, What…"

"Were you aware of any abusive behavior on the part of Korra?" the voice asked.

"Umm, I did notice some strangeness in Asami's behavior, and I had a hunch for a little bit, but no founded suspicions."

"So, you had suspicions, have you filed a report regarding these?'

"No, I told you I had a hunch, but I didn't say founded suspicions; accordingly, I had not filed a report. She came to me earlier telling me something about an accident that left her with a big welt."

"So, you were aware?"

"No, I wasn't aware; would you listen?"

"We have had Korra reported in the system, and she is currently being brought in for questioning by Det. Mako of the Republic City police."

"Wait wha-" he saw Korra enter, visibly frustrated and raising her voice at the officers escorting her, "I am Mako!"
"Okay, we will add that to the file, thankyouverymuchforyourhelp-goodbye!"

"No! No, you stupid bit-!"

"Mako! What is the meaning of this?!" Korra raised. Mako slammed the phone down and groaned loudly for a minute. His hand went to his face, kneading at his forehead again, and he sipped his coffee.

"Listen, you've been reported for questioning about something that put Asami in the hospital," he said through a facepalm gesture.

"What?" she inquired, raising her voice? "What? Why is she-"

"She said something happened and you got mad and-"

"What?! I had no idea! Who reported-"

"I can't tell you that Korra, I'm sorry."

"What did you tell them?!" she said placing both of her hands on his desk, he was visibly nervous for a moment, "You reported me didn't you!?" she said sweeping a few things from his desk.

"Listen, she came to me the other day and we talked and caught up and wanted to ask a few questions about the moments you've had, okay." Korra tilted her head and squinted.

"She said she was scared okay, and whenever I get word of these things I'm required by law-"

"You reported me to the police!?" she raised her voice as the bustling station began to get a bit quiet.

"No, I didn't, B-," he paused and thought quickly, "Okay, fine I did, I'm sorry."

"Do you have any idea what this could do to my reputation as the avatar?! What will the world do when a bunch of snot-nosed reporters find out about this?!"

"Nobody's going to find out about this unless you lower your voice!" he said looking around and lowering his own volume.

"This is your fault!" she said.

"Look I promise I'm no-
"You had years of opportunity to be with her, and now that you can't have her you are trying to sabotage what we have!"

"Korra, please just calm down for a moment and we can-"

"I don't want to calm down! Don't you tell me to calm down!" she shoved his desk out from between them and moved in on him.

"I'm sorry okay, I'm sorry; I could be sent to jai-"

"Oh, would this be the first time you are going to blame your job for screwing me over?!" she raised as the station got quieter, "Remember this?!" she said, kicking his desk across a room.

"I can't believe you!" she shouted.

"Look, Korra, I'm doing everything that I can to help th-"

"THEN STOP!"

Suddenly the room spun, and his face throbbed. His head was pounding, and he heard laughing and clapping, hooting and cheers around him. Everything was hazy and blurry. He raised his hand to his face to feel his left eye pulsing with every beat. He shook his head and looked around to find Korra gone and his back against the filing cabinets. He breathed deeply.

"Wha-? What happened?"

"Your girlfriend got mad at you," sneered one of the women officers from across the room. His nose bled profusely for a moment, and Lin emerged from her office to discern the trouble.

"What the fuck is going on out here?!" Lin hissed maliciously. Everyone being mindful of the recent burden on her shoulders lowered themselves and the entire room became looked over to see Mako sprawled against the filing cabinet, in pieces and bleeding a good amount.

"Mako!" she shouted running over to him, "What? What happened here?"

"I don't know chief," he said out of his dazed mind.

She turned to the other officers in the room "Why the hell didn't you arrest the pe-"

"Korra! It was the avatar!" he shouted, still trying to make sense of his environment.

"What?!" she woman officers pointed him out and whispered at him as he tried his best to stand and find his balance, stumbling his way to the bathroom. He opened the door and made his way inside, looking at himself in the mirror. His nose was slightly broken, and his eye a lost cause, a dark patch from which tendrils extended in all directions.

"Dude… are you,began one of the men in the bathroom, interrupted by Mako running into a stall to vomit violently.

"Wha-..." he uttered before his body fatigued. Hallucinations and flashbacks ailed him causing his body to be thrown into momentary convulsions. His parents, firebending, the streets, the fear, the child all alone, Bolin, Korra, Asami, … The moon?... everything flashed as she shook trembled violently on the ground. The door burst open all the sudden.

"Mako!" Bolin shouted desperately, "We need.. get….." he began to fade into a blur of mind and spirit. His awareness and consciousness being dissolved. He was nothing, remembering nothing, and being nothing until occasional, sparse moments of resurgence where he would look around and mumble briefly.

"Wh- What the hell?" he uttered through slurred words, remembering being stuffed in the back of a car. He decided sleep would be a wonderful choice of action; he was tired and needed to rest. His dreams were nothing but void and rest. He felt nothing, and no longer existed, unable to contemplate his own quality of inexistence. Days passed and he continued to rest peacefully.

Outside the hospital room a woman with grayed hair paced the hallways back and forth. Her eyes sank further, highlighting the contour of her skull with each passing, sleepless night. A young lady with black, shoulder length hair arose to meet her, taking her hand and holding her for a moment. The two of them and a young gentleman had waited three days to hear further news of his rest, to no relief. Another young woman showed, makeup running down her face, quickly stopping into his room, and quaking at the sight, being helped to his bedside by those within the room. She held his hand for a solid hour, mourning into his bed sheets until she had some time to breathe and calm down. She took deep breaths before raising her head again.

"Please wake up…" she uttered quietly. Tragically, there was no response.

Lin walked in on the sight with Opal, "I'm sending Opal to bring back Kya, but I pray that she can make it, before…" there was a dreadful silence in the room, and the rest of the phrase was quickly discarded from the minds of everyone that listened.

Asami drew up a hospital chair next to the bed where he laid, intubated and sprawled across the bed with his head turned over to the side. He had laid there for six hours so far, the nurse occasionally coming in to check on him generally.

Lin was wearily present at the chaos of the station. The bustling environment had resumed in her absence, avoiding her out of fear and reached the office outside her door, to find it exactly the way it had been left three days ago. She clenched her fist. Where Mako's desk had once been, there were merely a number of papers. The desk itself had just been moved out of the way from people's walking path, and the spot where he bled was still there, most of it having dried.

"You!" she said, pointing at a female officer, one who had made snarky remarks before, "Clean this shit up!"

"I am a police officer and I have paperwork to attend to!" she retorted.

"For the next six months you'll be nothing more than the office bitch, for standing around bumping your gums while one of your own was assaulted right in front of you! If you don't like it then just give me your badge and you can go find another job!" Lin stormed into her office, slamming the door behind her, and shutting the blinds, shaking as she sat before her desk. The building must have shaken on its foundation for a moment, by the account of everyone present.

"Please be okay," she whispered to herself, her face in her hands. She emerges several hours later from her office to find the place cleared out and the floors cleaned, and the everyone silent. The air was thick with pressure. Lin went to retrieve her mail from the basement, the floor having been mopped thoroughly.

"Are you serious!? I've been on the force for eight years now?!"shouted an officer, throwing down an envelope, before saluting as he noticed the chief.

"What the hell is the matter with you?!" she raised.

"I've been hereby discharged ma'am!" he returned.

"What?! What do you mean! I didn't discharge anyone!" she shouted.

"Discharge orders directly from the president due to your absence ma'am!"

"Who?! Why?!" she demanded, grabbing him by the collar of his uniform and shaking him.

"I don't know ma'am, just some of the detective department!" he raised.

"No…" she said, emptied of hope for a moment, "No!" she raised, digging around the mail room for a mail locker. 367M she found, but it was locked.

"Ma'am that's a felo-" shouted an officer as she ripped the door off the mail locker. There was a lone envelope in the locker. Her face sank. She reached to look at the sender; The office of the President of Republic City… she paused for a moment and became calm. She left the scene as it was and walked directly out.

Lin gently opened the door to find Zhu Li and Varrick; Zhu Li in emotional pieces, sobbing behind her desk with Varrick at her side attempting to comfort her.

"You are doing your best Zhu Li… and your best is sure as hell miles better than mine. Everyone in a position like yours is forced to do these things sometimes," he said, "This is not the end for them, okay? And I'll be hanged before this is the end for you," he said in a sweetened tone, turning to notice Lin.

"The city council won't let me reinstate any of them; they just selected them at random and slapped my name on it… I'm so sorry," she said, looking up around Lin, because she couldn't stand to look at her in this state, "I can't do this anymore," she said.

"You can Zhu Li," she said softly, urging the words awkwardly out of herself with her eyes tightened, "You are the best president this city could ask for. This city itself is a disaster, and you can't be blamed for when it falls apart, when all you have done is helped."

"What brings you here?" asked Varrick softly. She laid the letter softly on the desk where he picked it up and read the name of the addressed. He sank back into his chair, with his hand on his head.

"It's a damn good thing I'm not president," he said deeply, "For the city council anyway."

"How is he taking it?" asked paused.

"… Best not worry about him at the moment," she said, turning to leave.

Lin had Mako airlifted to the South Pole; getting the group away from Republic City would have benefitted them too. She couldn't wait for Kya or Katara to come to them. They touched down in the encampment, doctors rushing to retrieve him. As soon as they got him inside, they stripped him of his uniform, cutting it off, and the remainder of his clothing, taking him from the stretcher, and hammocking him down into the spirit water, where Katara rose over him, bending the water gently back and forth.

She emerged after a few moments, "He is well, and there shouldn't be any permanent damage to any of his brain or heart," she said, "But his eye is still mysteriously blackened. I haven't been able to help him regarding that matter I'm afraid." There was an audible sigh of relief across the room as everyone let out their tension.

"Do you know when he will be awake?" Bolin asked. Just as he did, the curtain stirred lightly, and he stepped through, robed, and looking to the others. Everyone rushed to get to hold him, and Lin thanked Katara, holding her in a moment of emotional relief.

"I will never turn my back on those who need me," Katara smiled. Lin held her for a few minutes before releasing her so she could do the same to Mako. Katara takes Lin aside for a moment.

"Do you know what happened?" she asked. Lin gave it a moment.

"I don't understand what happened; Korra hit him really hard, and he was in a daze for a while, but when he went unconscious, he didn't wake up," Lin said. Katara was visibly disturbed.

"Why would Korra do such a thing?" she asked, flustered at the thought.

"I don't…" Lin began.

"Something happened involving him and Asami and Korra got really mad because she was reported for suspicions of abuse," Bolin finished. Lin and Katara looked on in shock.

"My apologies Lin, but I would like to keep him here a few days…" she looked over to him, "I believe this to be more than physical." Lin nodded, briefly, looking over to where Mako stood.

"Are you feeling, okay?" inquired Asami, followed by Opal and Bolin.

"Yeah; I'm still a little dizzy, and I feel really tired honestly, but I feel alright," he assured her.

"We're so glad you're okay dude; I was so worried my bro would never be the same or would come out not able to talk or use his legs," Bolin said in a more sincere tone that he usually manifests as he hugs Mako tightly.

"I think I should be alright; I'm not sure what's up with my eye, but I bet with some of Katara's help we can fix that too," he said to them, assuring them. He noticed that Asami stepped outside a moment ago, and as the conversation rested, he joined her. She stared out across the tundra of the frozen lands.

"Are you going to be okay?" he asked her.

"Mako! It's the South Pole!" she said, running to him with a future industries coat, "You just came out of a coma! You'll freeze to death!" she scolded him.

"I'm fine, Asami, I promise; Being a firebender means I can naturally heat the air around me. It's a bit chilly, but I should be fine," he said, having donned one of his black shirts and slacks that he often wore while working for Wu.

"Well, just to ease my mind then!" she said throwing the coat over him. He smirked for a moment before putting it on.

"As I was saying," he grinned, "Are you going to be okay?"She paused for a moment to think about the situation.

"I don't know… This is all so, sudden. I know that I love Korra, but right now, I'm just so mad at her. How could she do that to you?" she asked.

"I don't know the answer to that; I would be lying if I said I didn't resent her myself right now, but I want to say part of that has to do with the fact that she hurt you."

"You care about me more than you care about yourself."

"Not just you, Asami. I feel that way about Bolin, Lin, Opal, and Korra too, even though I might be mad at her for hitting me so hard."

"I know I would be," she said in response, "She didn't even come to visit you in the hospital or try to find you to apologize or anything… I don't know if I could be with someone-…" she took a moment as her voice broke. Mako gave her a moment of silence.

"Hey," he said to her, "Things could get better with time. Give it a month or two to cool off so you can feel just a little bit better before you try and think too much about it."

"Well, you know I have trouble with that," she said to him.

"I know, it's something that very intelligent people deal with, but it can be pretty helpful to separate how you feel from what you think about something, because the way we feel affects how we think." There was silence for a moment, "Hey… do you feel like I'm…" he went on.

"Like you're what?" she asked.

"… like I'm trying to reel you back in?" he asked her. She paused a moment and looked out to the tundra again.

"I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried about leading something on," she said in resignation, "You've been so helpful in dealing with all of this, and I wish I felt as safe with Korra as I do with you, but I know it's wrong to think that way."

"I do want you to understand that I still care about you, just the way I care about Bolin, but there doesn't have to be anything romantic about it," he said to her.

"I understand. I like that about you," she said, smiling to him.

"I guess that's what I meant to say about how I cared about Korra so long ago when we argued," he said.

"When was this?" she asked.

"Remember when we were in the kitchen, on air temple island," he shook his head, "It must have been five years ago, and Korra was down for the count after that fight with Amon," he said, "I don't think I ever really cleared that up."

"Things were different then. You're a lot better about talking now than you used to be," she told him. He smiled in appreciation

"Mako…" said Lin, stepping outside of the tent, "There's something I need to tell you," She prompted. They stepped inside and she offered up several words somberly.

"…discharged?" he asked, confused.

"I'm sorry, there isn't anything I can do… as much as it pisses me off," was all she said, quietly, in a way that was uncharacteristic of her. He sat back and shook his head.

"Don't be too hard on yourself about it. I honestly expected to get caught in these cuts, and I'm prepared for anything," he said.

"Would you care more about yourself than you do others for once?" Lin asked. He snickered at the remark, and Katara approached as she said this to him.

"Perhaps it is time you rest Mako. I don't want you to be stressed at this time. If you are to heal, then we need for your energy to be flowing through all your vital points," she said, beckoning him to the back room to recover.

"I love you guys, so much," he said to them as they all embraced, with Lin herself even joining.

"Get better soon, son. I need you too."

Mako slept in a southern hammock, unusual for him, but not foreign. He simply found the equilibrium and allowed his eyes to sink, and maintaining balance wasn't as much trouble as he had thought. He woke just as Katara had placed a pitcher of water upon the table next to him.

"Good morning Mako," she said delightfully, bringing in a pitcher and a sweet, elderly smile into the room with her.

"Good morning," he responded, sitting up from his laying "Hey, I wanted to thank you for your help. I wouldn't be alive without you."

"I am always happy to help people in need; today I was wanting to talk to you about what happened to your eye," she said, seating herself on a chair as he sat up in the hammock, "I know about Korra, and I would like for you to tell me what you remember of that day."

"Okay," he said, nodding for a moment. Katara poured him a glass of water, and he took a drink from it, quickly emptying it and preparing himself to speak.

"Asami came to me a little while back after I got home from work, and she said that she wanted to see me. I invited her inside and we sat down and talked some, but she told me that something had happened between her and Korra, and I started to get worried. She said that Korra had been having moments where she gets mad, and Asami was getting scared. The next day when we talked, she showed me a welt on her waist where she got hit by a rock during one of Korra's episodes. Bolin told me he would report it, and I told her to get it looked at by a doctor, which she did. Korra ended up being taken in for questioning… and they sent her to me."

"This all sounds, so very strange of her."

"I've never seen her like that before. I mean, I've seen her angry, like when she kicked my desk across the room back when we were dating."Katara recoiled in a bit of shock, and Mako explained.

"She planned to get United Forces out to the South Pole during the whole water tribe civil conflict, and I ended up being questioned about it, and I was obligated to tell the truth, so I did… she took that a bit… personally. But even with all that, I've never seen her go off the way she did that day." Katara sighed.

"What happened then?" she asked with a tilt of her head.

"When she came in, she walked over to me and asked if I had reported her. I was about to tell her I didn't do it, but I didn't want to pin this on Bolin, especially not with her going off this way. I told her I did, and she got mad. I explained to her, but she told me to stay out of it, and then everything got blurry. I think she hit me in the face." Katara sat back and nodded hearing about all what Mako had been saying.

"That's awful," she said, shaking her head, "That's when you lost consciousness?" she asked him.

"Well, after I kind of stumbled into the bathroom, I threw up, I fell down, and started seeing a lot of different things."

"What did you see?" she inquired. Mako paused for a moment.

"Well, I saw a lot of things from my past. I don't think I want to talk about all of it, but it was just, so vivid. After that, I just remember being lightheaded and I lost control of my body. I remember Bolin busting in and trying to get help, and them carrying me to the hospital, but nothing after that… Do you have any idea what happened?"

"… this sounds almost spiritual in nature, but I'm not entirely sure," she said to him, and then there was silence. He reached his hand up and felt his face, still throbbing a bit. She handed him a small brick of ice, wrapped in paper to place against it to ease any swelling.

"Thank you," he said as she continued to think. Mako allowed her a moment, laying back in the hammock again. He sighed and relaxed for a moment until she spoke again.

"Mako," she raised. He brought up his head a little to listen, "All things being considered… Perhaps it would be best if you find your way out of Republic City," she told him. He paused for a good minute.

"Where would I go?" he asked her, letting his eye breathe for a moment. She neared him with the chair she sat in.

"There is a whole world out there that you have yet to see Mako, and with the loss of your job and this incident, I think it would be best for you to find a new… adventure somewhere."He looked out the window.

"Do you… have any ideas?" he asked her, unsure of himself.

"What parts of the world haven't you seen; may I ask?"

"Well, I guess I haven't seen the Northern Water Tribe… or the Fire Nation," he proposed.

"If I recall correctly, the Imperial guard of the fire nation needs a few security workers for the royal palace. There has been a recent attempt on firelord Izumi and her daughter's life," she told thought for a long moment, understanding that he is supposed to have family there, but nobody that he knows and nowhere he could begin to look. He laid his head back in the hammock again.

"I could do that," he said with a sudden upturn in his tone, "I've done bodyguard work for royalty before, and successfully. Do you think you could write me a letter of recommendation?" he inquired, looking his head over to her.

"I think I would be delighted to do so," she said smiling to him, "A change of scenery will ignite change in you. I think that once things begin to go better for you, your eye will follow shortly, but for now, I want you to rest. Tenzin will take you back to Republic City with him tomorrow and I want to make sure you're ready for the journey. I have food prepared for you here," she said to him, revealing a stew of prunes and seal meat.

"Thank you, Katara," he returned. He ate silently, enjoying the meal more than he originally thought that he would, despite not being familiar with the cuisine of the southern water tribe. He took part in the water from the pitcher, drinking plentifully, before making his way back into a dreamless sleep.

Mako awoke soon enough to find Tenzin beside where he lay in the hammock.

"Mako," he said aloud, "Get ready son, we'll be leaving in thirty minutes." Mako had nothing to gather, having been unconscious when he arrived. Katara approached him with a waterskin and a bag.

"Be safe on the road and spend the next few days resting. You need to heal." She told him, handing him the things which she held, "And please consider what I have told you about a change of scenery."

"Thank you Katara," he said, humbly bowing to her.

"I am always happy to help." She smiled and waved him off as he boarded Oogie's back. The flight was long, but Mako had not found himself bored any, occasionally holding conversations with Tenzin and looking out beyond the horizon. They made their way to the spirit portal where the wind was fierce. Tenzin lowered the altitude, maintaining maybe twenty feet above the ground. He had acquired permission to use the portal to shorten the trip substantially, as access to the spirit portals had been cut off and restricted to those without permission from local authorities.

"We're about to pass through the portal, Hold on!" Tenzin shouted above the winds. Mako held fast to the saddle as they passed through into the spirit arena, where the winds had completely died, and it was warm. Spirits of all sorts roamed in the distance, some gliding across the sky, others skating over the grounds. The purple sky was awe-inducing to look at.

"Alright! Here we go again!" he shouts as they approach the portal of the north.

The two of them arrived in Republic City after perhaps three hours of flight time. Oogie was quite tired, rolling over onto his side as Tenzin patted the belly of the shaggy beast. As the bison snored, Mako laughed for a moment.

"Thank you, Tenzin. I'm going to head out to my apartment and to the police station. There are a few things that I need to take care of."

"I am happy to help," Tenzin reassured him, looking to him and smiling as he continued stroking through Oogie's fuzz.

Mako fiddled with the lock for just a moment before the door opened from the inside. He snatched his key from the lock. Asami ran and snatched him up, and he laughed for a moment, patting her on the back.

"Mako!" Opal shouted, running to join Asami.

"Is Bolin here?" he asked.

"No, it's just us, Bolin will be back around four," Opal responded.

"You guys live here too now?" he grinned, "Mind if I come in?"

"I guess you can I mean…" Opal teased inviting him field uniform had been cut off and disposed of already. The only things there were to turn into the station were his badge and his ceremonial uniform, both of which he gathered.

"Is everything going okay?" asked Asami, she and Opal both having entered his room.

"Well… because of the budget cuts and everything going on with new city policy, they decided to discharge a number of police officers at random on the force," he began, "According to Lin, I was one of them. I'm not too discouraged, at least not yet anyway. I'm planning on finding some security work until I can get settled down." He made sure not to cue the others as to the location of work.

"We did hear about that; that's really awful of the city council to go in and do that, especially with everything going on," Opal said to him as the three sat in the living room.

"I'll get things figured out, I'm sure. For now, I have some things that I need to turn in before I figure any of that out. I'm headed to the station; I'll be back," he told them.

"Be safe!" Asami raised.

"I will, you guys too!" he said as he shut the door.

He placed the folded uniform in a box at the side of his bike and made his way through the city without rush. He enjoyed the ride, and he always loved working with his bike, it gave him a sense of freedom and excitement. He came upon the station and parked his bike out front, sighing as he shut it off for the last time. As he walked in, he passed through the lobby and up to the third floor where the chief of police's office resides. The lobby outside was dead silent, even more so with his presence. He could hear his steps in the shoes that were standard issue among the force. He would be keeping those; however, they were turned to the secretary and inquired if the chief was busy. The secretary shook her head to signal she wasn't, and he gently knocked on the door. Steps approached from the other side.

"I wanted to see you again before I left. I have a recommendation letter from Katara to find security work in the fire nation. I'll be leaving for there tomorrow morning," he told her.

"Come in, come in," she invited him as he stepped through the door, placing his uniform over a chair, and setting his badge down on the table.

"I did everything I could. I argued with those children for hours," she said. Her voice was calm now and resigned.

"I don't feel too bad about it; I'll find work in time," he told Lin.

"Come back this evening at around eight and I'll have a letter for you," she responded.

"Are you holding up okay?" he asked looked out the window and shook her head for a moment. Her chin tightened.

"I don't know…" she answered softly.

Mako thought for a moment on what to say, and there was a profound silence, "This won't be the end of them," he began, "and I know it won't be the end of you." Her ears perked hearing this.

"… and I know it won't be the end for you either."

Mako packed the remainder of his belongings from his locker and said a few goodbyes on his way out, as if it were any other day. He had handed in his keys already to the bike that he loved so much, and he walked out the door with the light shining down on him. As he continued past his bike, he paused a moment, and turned. He picked up the radio, turning it on and tuning in…

"This is Unit Mike-367, signing off hereforth…"

Silence…

"Good luck out there Mako," a voice came back. He switched the radio off again and walked away with a stoic appearance, save for his eye.

Mako returns to the apartment, finding it empty. He packs light, the way he always does. He throws a few things together in a duffel, around four pairs of slacks, and four shirts. He throws his hygienic materials in with his other possessions and a few pictures of family and loved ones. He throws in his Identification and passport and other personal documents, still finding the bag to be empty. He throws in the bag of seal jerky just to get him by and attaches the waterskin that Katara had given front door opens, and Bolin enters with Opal. Mako is already packed.

"Hey man! What are you all packed for?" he asked, shutting the door behind him.

"I'm off to find some work, I'll be headed off at three in the morning. I'll send word once I get settled down," Mako said, patting his younger brother on the shoulder, "Look after Lin and Asami, I worry about them."

"I will man, are you gonna be okay out there?" Bolin asked.

"Yeah I'll be fine; I got a good sum of money to work with for now."

"Where are you going?" Bolin asked.

"I'll be travelling around for a while; Right now I'm going to look in the fire nation."

"Okay man, just make sure you write me whenever you find something that works out," Bolin said hugging his older brother tightly.

"I love you dude," Mako told him.

"I love you too man," Bolin said to his brother as Mako walked out the door.

As Mako returned to the station, he met Lin at the door, who handed him an envelope.

"I telegrammed the firelord's secretary, and they said they will receive you at once. They know who you are."

"Do you think you could send them a message as to my ETA? I'm planning on boarding a ship bound for the fire nation at midnight." he stated.

"I certainly could do that."

"Excellent! That should keep me busy for a while," he told her, placing the letter in his bag.

"Take care of yourself Lin; I'm proud of you. We all are," he told her. She reached out and took hold of him again before he set off down the street. By that point it was late in the evening, and he watched ships come and go from the harbor. His was set to arrive at about 12 in the evening and leave at 2 in the morning, thus he waited. He sat on a bench as the sun set in front of him. He heard footsteps.

"I've been looking all over for you," she said to him with crossed arms. He smiled for a moment.

"Have you?" he asked.

"Did you think you could just go running off without saying goodbye to me?" she said, sitting on the other side of the bench.

"I figured I could get away with it, I don't think I'll be gone terribly long. I just got to find work, and work is calling me out to the fire nation now." He looked out to the sunset

"I hope you find something good for you there. You've lived here all your life. You could use some time away maybe. Do you know how long you think you'll be away?"

"I'm not entirely sure of anything at the moment, just that I'll get by." A horn sounded in the distance with a small trail of steam following it.

"Is that your boat?" she asked

"If it is, it must be at least two or three hours early. My boat isn't supposed to arrive until twelve."

"You planned on boarding a boat that arrives at midnight?" she smirked.

"Yeah, yeah I did just that. It should give me some time to rest while we're at sea. I'd like to arrive in the morning, so I can catch everyone at a good hour."

"That all sounds pretty efficiently done. Didn't you just get laid off yesterday?"

"You know me, I usually have a lot of backup plans. I'm old enough to know that nothing usually works out very smoothly." They sat silently for a time, simply watching the red, hazy sun slip beneath the horizon, taking the orange sky with it.

"I do remember that about you," she said to him.

"Have you spoken to Korra yet?" he asked her.

"Not yet, I haven't been able to bring myself to try and find her… I'm still mad at her. Why do you ask?"

"No particular reason, I was just trying to stay updated is all."

"… I'm really going to miss you, you know," she told him. He took a deep breath.

"I'll miss you too Asami," he said looking over to her. He did his best to remain stoic, not wanting to come between a relationship, but her image in the sunset really did something to him in that moment. He took a deep breath and looked out to where the sun now met the waters. There wasn't much more to say, so they just sat together in silence, watching the horizon as the ship made its way to the dock. He looked over at her on occasion just to get a glimpse. He used to stare at her a lot, and she would tease him about it. He wouldn't allow himself to do that anymore. He hadn't slept much in the last few days, so his eyes were heavy, wanting to close.

When he looked up next, the ship had arrived at the port, and the pilot walked onto the deck, looking around. Mako approached him,

"Does this ship go to the fire nation capitol port?" he asked.

"Yes sir!" the captain responded resoundingly.

"You are the only passenger on the roster for boarding and there doesn't appear to be anyone else present, so if you carry one or two of these boxes for me, I'll call off the fare!"

"I can do that," Mako assured him, hauling a few crates of produce, some explosives, and a large crate carrying some automobile parts, which took some effort, but he and the captain managed to put it down into cargo.

"Well, hop on deck when you're ready, I'll let you say goodbye to your woman here and we'll head on out," the man said heartily, smiling with a cigar in the corner of his nodded and smiled at the man, before walking back past the shoreline to find her waiting for him.

"Thank you for waiting with me," he remarked softly, "You stay safe, and call Bolin if you need anything." She wrapped her arms over his shoulders to his surprise. He returned the embrace lightly.

"You stay safe too," she said, sniffling a bit as she held him. She let him go and waved to him as he carried what all he owned onto the ship.

"Goodbye Asami," he said softly to himself, waving as the ship sailed away from the shore.

Chapter 2: II: The Rising Sun

Chapter Text

Part II:

The trip was uneventful, he spent most of his time in a small cabin below deck, designed to host a few beds for those riding along. The crew had their own quarters. He made his best effort to stay out of the way of anyone else, keeping to himself, and resting plentifully, as the trip wasn't terribly far, but they wouldn't arrive until morning. Occasionally in between naps he would rise and walk about the deck. The waters were calm, and the deck light lit the area rather thoroughly. The moon was full than night, and reflected brightly upon the waters, slightly illuminating the sky to a subtle navy blue. He looked to it, just observing its features and texture. He sat on a bench as he observed, remembering of the tales Korra had once told him about the moon, and how it was the original waterbender, guiding the tides and waves across the earth in a push and pull nature.

He took a deep breath for a moment and as he blinked, he swore upon himself that a glowing apparition flashed before his eyes, startling him to his feet, poised for action. His eyes swept the horizon, finding nothing of any intrigue. He lowered himself, rubbing his eyes, concluding he was sleep deprived, and that he ought to descend below deck for rest again. He found a comfortable position on the bed he had been allotted, and the gentle bob of the ship within the waters slowly rocked him to sleep. His dreams were filled with images of past enemies and foes pursuing him, seeing apparitions of Amon, Unalaq, and even Kuvira. He ran endlessly, until his feet sank into the ground, and he was violently swerved around, so to face that which had been chasing him. He suddenly witnessed Korra in the glory of her fully realized avatar state!

He struggled to free himself from the soil, but it gripped him, and froze like cement up to his knees. Korra rose from the ground on a vortex of water and tore the earth in two, where he had been trapped, causing him to fall into the crevice below, and as he descended, he fell limp… suddenly waking with a gasp and an impactful jerk that threw him from the bed. The captain happened to have been walking by the hostel at the time, and peaked into the room to find Mako dazed, and sprawled across the floor.

"You alright son?" he inquired.

"Oh, uh, yeah, just a bad dream."

"No kidding," the captain said, walking down the hall and laughing to himself. Mako laughed too, a little at least. He noticed through the porthole that the sun had begun to rise. Though it wasn't quite over the horizon, the sky began to be filled with color again, and the night was soon to end. He opted to descend to nap again,

"Land on the horizon! ETA forty-five minutes!" shouted a crewman. He stayed atop the deck, eating seal jerky, and drinking from the waterskin for a breakfast. It was hot and humid, and the wind was high, but didn't help much.

"Do you need any help with the boxes?" Mako asked the captain.

"Oh no it'll be just fine. I got some merchants coming to retrieve the goods they ordered, and they'll retrieve whatever they ordered from the decks below, and they got a couple of forklifts with them, so it shouldn't be much lifting either," the captain said. He leaned against the barrier which reached up to his chest, taking a puff of his cigar, "Mind if I ask your name stranger?" he asked.

"Mako," he said looking out over the ocean.

"Well, Mako, what brings you to the fire nation?" he asked.

"Oh, I just found some new work, and I think I just had to get out of Republic City."

"I get that. It's good to get out you know; What line of work are you in?"

"I do police and security work."

"Oh, you got caught in those damn budget cuts, didn't you?" the man shook his head, "Shame about that," he said.

"Yeah, they had some layoffs and a lot of people got fired. There's supposed to be a big union walk off happening today, and I'm afraid for my community."

"I can understand that. Nobody knows how to appreciate the things that are there for them until suddenly, they aren't there anymore." Mako nodded."If it turns out the same as what all happened in Ba Sing Se, they'll turn around and see the error of their ways soon enough," the man said.

"Where are you from?" Mako asked.

"Me, I grew up on Kyoshi Island. I got a job with some merchants 'fore we ran into some pirates. I was real young, maybe fourteen, so they took me in. It was dirty work, but I ended up gettin' to see the whole world and meet so many new people."

"That all sounds pretty exciting," Mako said.

"It was. Eventually I gathered a good lump sum of money, and I parted ways with the others, bought a bunch of ships, and now I own the trading and shipment company that runs vessels all over the world."

"Wonder if I can find work as a pirate now?" Mako joked.

"Oh, I don't know. It's a tough life bein' a pirate, 'specially nowdays where they got those airships and airplanes that'll swoop down and getcha from outta nowhere."There was a moment of silence as they approached the shore, and the second mate docked the ship from the bridge. The boarding plank was lowered soon after and the crew dismounted for what would be the next few hours, and Mako followed them with his possessions in tow.

"It's good to meet you Mako, good luck with the work. I hope you find something good," the captain said, removing his cigar, and shaking his hand. Mako turns toward the shore from the pier and begins to walk.

"Mako!" called a voice. He looked up and all around, discovering a man waving to him. He approached the man who stood near the railing of the pier.

"Lord Zuko!" he called out, "It's wonderful to see you!" he said to Zuko, bowing lowly to him.

"I have been sent by Firelord Izumi to escort you to the palace from here," he said to Mako, "Please, join me," Zuko said, directing him away from the pier and into a royal carriage drawn by a Komodo rhino.

"We are very grateful to have someone of your particular skill set to look after my granddaughter. You have quite a remarkable track record of work, especially with the Earth King I must say," Zuko said, taking a pot of tea, and gently rewarming it. He poured it into a cup. Mako paused a moment.

"My apologies; I was under the impression that I would be looking after firelord Izumi," he remarked. Zuko prepared tea before him.

"Would you like a cup? It's jasmine, I make it specially."

"May I have a cup?" he asked. Zuko pours another, the tea being perfectly decanted from the pot. He raised the cup with both hands, shaking slightly as he hands Mako the cup.

"Now, to begin, I will tell you that we have had substantial trouble with a number of cult groups throughout the fire nation," he began as Mako gently sipped at the fragrant tea, "these groups have launched numbers of attacks on fire nation forces and have also engaged in a number of assassinations attempts on the royal family."

"How many attempts specifically?" Mako asked.

"Four so far, but I suspect there are to be more soon."

"I would like to gather some information regarding the prior attempts soon if that is alright. I want to know what I'll be dealing with."

"We will get you whatever information we can find," Zuko said to him, smiling, breaking into a coughing fit for a moment.

"Are you feeling okay?" Mako asked.

"I have just been having some coughing troubles since the spring has rolled around. I should be alright however, as I'm quite sure it is just the humidity." Mako sipped his tea again, finishing the cup soon, and politely placing it with the remainder of the set.

"What are some of the groups you mentioned? I'm familiar with most of the crime families around Republic City, but I've never been to the fire nation before."

"You've never been here before? Well, I would be happy to show you around," Zuko began, "Regarding the organizations here, the one which worries us most now refer to themselves at the Ketsueki, and they are a shadowy bunch. Their behavior is always incredibly discreet and undercover. We were hardly aware of their existence until an informant came forward, one whom I am afraid has disappeared recently." Mako nodded gently, looking to the floor and processing.

"We believe they are responsible for one of the most recent of the assassination attempts, though this attempt proved to be the closest to any semblance of success, as my granddaughter was burned in the act.."

"I wasn't aware you had a granddaughter," Mako remarked.

"I do actually; her name is Ursa, and she is about your age actually," Zuko told him, "After that incident is when we decided to look into hiring extra security measures for the sake of preventing any future attempts from harming my family."

"How long ago was this incident?"

"This was three weeks ago today. She was sent to the hospital with burn wounds on her leg, but she has since healed and is walking around once again. I would like to specify that you will be looking after her specifically."

"Oh, well, I'm glad to hear she is doing better," Mako said scratching the back of his head for a moment. He sounded a bit thrown off, "I'm sorry, I was just under the impression I would be guarding Izumi."

"Oh, you will occasionally aid the guard in general meetings on Izumi's detail, but most of your time will be spent with Ursa. My apologies for the lack of clarity on that matter," Zuko paused thoughtfully for a moment, tilting his head.

"Is something wrong?" Mako inquired.

"Oh no, I was simply wondering; what happened to your eye?" Mako raised his hand to his face.

"Oh this? I just got it a few days ago… It was an accident is all," he said a bit nervously.

"Is that so?" he asked.

"Unfortunately, so; something happened and Korra ended up hitting me in the eye pretty hard. She knocked me out in the process."

"That sounds like quite an ordeal, not that I have any experience with anything of the sort," Zuko remarked smiling and gesturing toward his own and grinning

"It should get better in the next week or so, and I haven't had any trouble with my vision, so I should be alright."

"Well, if you need any help, we have physicians on staff that can help you if necessary. We will be arriving shortly, and I would first and foremost like for you to meet the family whom you will be looking after."

"I would be grateful to receive whatever help they offer, and I am excited to meet everyone," Mako raised, smiling gently.

The two exited the carriage, already parked within the center of the courtyard of the palace. Mako gazed at the uniqueness of the architecture, having not seen anything quite like it before. The reds of rooftops were highlighted by the morning sun as it rose over the horizon, bursting through the clouds. They entered the palace through two large doors and came upon a hallway where very large paintings of firelords present and past were posted. Mako walked down the hallway, observing the massive paintings, stopping at one.

"This was my father, firelord Ozai," Zuko said as Mako observed.

"This was the man that invaded the earth kingdom wasn't he?" Mako asked.

"Well, most of the success of that endeavor could have been better attributed to my sister, who was a particularly cunning and precise individual I must say. We have a painting of her down the hallway, but she has a story of her own."

"I grew up hearing stories of how he tried to take over the rest of the world and fought the avatar in a glorious battle."

"I don't think glorious began to describe it personally. To me, it was mortally terrifying. I'm personally hoping the comet disappears, and never returns. The amount of power even an average firebender could produce on that day was truly a sight to behold."

"I hope I get the opportunity to experience it in my lifetime," Mako said.

"Oh, I'm sure you will. You're a healthy-looking boy," Zuko said, smiling and placing his hand on his shoulder.

"Grandfather?" asked a voice from down the hallway. Zuko turned to witness a woman, much in the likeness of Izumi. Her hair was very dark and very long; this one could tell even as her hair had been placed neatly in a top knot. She approached gracefully, her hands folded within the sleeves of a traditional fire nation robe, "Who is this?"

"Ursa, this would be Mako. He is our hired professional, he will be looking after you personally from here on out."

"It's an honor to meet you, princess Ursa."

"Thank you for your service Mako," she began. She looked over to address Zuko, "He will be staying within the guest's quarters you said?"

"Wait, I'll be staying here?"

"Oh, my sincerest apologies. I never mentioned that room and board will also be provided alongside your compensation, so you won't have to worry about finding a place within the city, as I know that can be very difficult as of recent."

"Oh… that's wonderful! Thank you, Lord Zuko."

"It is the least we can do certainly. The guest's quarters will be across the hall from my own, so I would be happy to take you there if you are ready."

"I believe I am ready when you are," Mako responded as Ursa beckoned and he led him down a long hallway, Zuko opting instead to return to his office on the other side of the palace. She walked very gracefully along the ground, and as she strode, one could scarcely hear the steps she made on the ground. The corridors were long and the floors were hard, decorated with ornate tiling, much of which consisted of resin-coated obsidian. The paint was a soft red, much like he remembers of the scarf that his parents gave him. This soothed his far-from-home feeling regarding the palace, as he was still uneasy about the place.

He looked over at the princess as she strode down, with her hands gracefully folded within her sleeves. Her hair had been very neatly done by a number of servants to be presentable to the public or guests for the day, ordered in a tidy topknot, fastened together with an ornament of red and gold with a pin drawn through the center of the tail, and of this arrangement, not a hair was allowed out of place. Her hands and feet were tiny and delicate, and as she walked, he couldn't hear her steps as they grazed the ground. Her gaze was straightforward as she walked with her chin drawn slightly upward as if in pretense, and her residual facial expression seemed to be one of boredom, or frustration, even though she seemed to be quite well, not unlike Mako's resting facial appearance at all. She wore lenses, and her hair was long and dark with silvery streaks throughout, rendering her the pristine image of her mother. The crest of her head and roots of her hair were slightly brighter than the remainder of her hair, and thus Mako concluded that she spent very much time outside, but perceiving the translucent character of skin, the girl being as white as the full moon, he second-guessed this Matter. She wore thick lenses, and through this he assumed that she likely read, and read often, as her eyes appeared strained, some of the blood vessels showing, but not enough to tarnish the sparkling white of her eyes. The robes she wore weren't unlike that of what Zuko wore, however it appeared that Izumi preferred more practical clothing around the palace as opposed to the long, flowing cloaks and robes. She wore an arrangement of lengthy fabric strips, wrapped around her waist, and tied over her lower back. She was shorter than he, by a foot in length.

He spent the whole time as he and the princess walked down every hallway that he would be familiar with all the compartments, shortcuts, passages, and courtyards within the entirety of the palace, the princess even talking about secret passageways that her mother had shown her. The complexity of the network of ways throughout the palace could not be overstated. The Earth kingdom palace was complex in its own right, but still had some level of organization in a grid-like manner to make for ease of navigation.

She led him finally to a room of remarkable size, suitable enough for royalty. He walked along the edge of the wall, where a door led to the bathroom, and a number of ornately decorated dressers resided just below the windows which stretched nearly eight feet in height. He walked to the bed, one of the softest he had felt in a very long time, and he ran his hands along the cooled surface, the fabric being so breathable to compensate for the humidity, as the heat in the fire nation could often be oppressive and unyielding. He stood to address her directly

"It has been ordered by my mother, Firelord Izumi, that you reside here exclusively, that you will be available in your off hours, which should be from two before midnight to four before midday, which should hopefully allot you enough time to be rested and maintained, presenting oneself as an official member of the royal court," Ursa elaborated. She spoke with clarity and idiosyncrasy that Mako took note of. It was as if every word was rehearsed to be distinctly pronounced with an accent unique as compared to those of the fire nation he had encountered before.

"I will give you a few minutes to settle in, and then, if you don't mind, I would like to show you to some other parts of the palace," she said to him.

"Oh, uhh, okay. I'd be happy for you to show me. Thank you, Princess Ursa," he said to him, respectfully bowing before her. She lightly smiled, and turned to exit, giving him the room. He marveled at the décor again, setting his possessions down upon a dresser, which he was surprised to find filled with uniform clothing. He closed the drawer and moved to the bed, where he began feeling at the silk and linen comforters. The pillows were clad in distinct cases of silk, smooth and soft, but still breathable, all colored red, some bearing sashes of gold across them. The bed had an overhang, bearing curtains that could be led to surround the bed itself, issuing perfect privacy to whomever lie upon it. The air smelled freshly of an intriguing aroma of charcoal, teak, and mahogany, which were fragrances he had grown to favor in his time experimenting with colognes of different sorts. The bed was soft, but pristinely supportive. He was tired, and his body knew it, and he knew it as well, understanding that laying too long would mean he would surely be brought into a deep rest, which he could not bring himself out of for the remainder of the day.

There was a knock at the door, at which he immediately stood and opened the door to.

"May I ask if you are ready?" she inquired, looking up to him. Her eyes sparkled with innocence behind the glasses that she wore, furthering her resemblance of her mother. Her door had been slightly ajar on the other side of the hallway, with several windows opened within the room, and thus the light shined in, highlighting her from behind. He took notice unconsciously of the gentle fragrance she wore herself. It was of lavender and Bergamot, and tea leaves. She wafted of a well-crafted tea, warm and scintillating, fragrant and flowery.

"I am ready," Mako issued, smiling slightly. She gently returned this smile, beckoning him once more onward, down another hallway.

"There are a few essential locations within the palace to which I would like to introduce you first and foremost, before we move into some of the more personal rooms of the palace," she began as they proceeded down ornate hallways.

Each hallway was lined with stone columns of dark red clay, brushed, and etched with patterns, and some even with text from literature, ancient poetry, doctrine, quotes, and historical documentation. All was perfectly preserved beneath a thin, but glass-like resin, that gave each pillar a ceramic-like appeal. The tiling was paved with red brick, diverse mosaics of linoleum, and ceramic tiling, and all had been designed to be aesthetic, and artistically intricate, but not distracting. Mako had encountered flooring far too intricate before, most notably within the earth kingdom palace. He walked often unsuccessfully over tiling designed so vibrantly and redundantly, that the pattern quite literally made him nauseous, and lightheaded, but this tiling soothed his stomach to look at.

"Here, we have the main room of the palace," she said, arriving at a very large door. The door was Baroquely carved, etched with designs, some abstract, and some representative of historical events, lineages, and ancient epics or literary masterworks of old. The door was trimmed, gilded with fine metalwork which flowered off the surface, polished and shimmering. The handle itself was round like the ring through a moose-lion's nose, but far larger, thick around enough that Mako couldn't quite fit his own hand around it. The guards which stood off to the side of each of the double doors wore simplified armor, much like the ones he had seen before in the depictions of the hundred-years' war, however the helmets were more less spiny, and more streamlined, open-faced on occasion.

"My mother is currently busy with a meeting of intranational concerns, so I am afraid that we will not be able to see her until dinner. Speaking of which, the next location to which I would like to introduce to you is the dining hall," she said. He looked back to her to see her. Her eyes navigated away from him as he turned to her, and she noticeably avoided eye-contact more than usual, something he had been trained to notice as a detective.

"Are you feeling alright princess?" he asked on a hunch.

"I am, why do you ask?" she said, blushing slightly.

"I just had a feeling something may have been bothering you," he said to her.

"Nothing is wrong that I could say," she told him, "The dining hall is a few doors down this way," she said, proceeding as he followed.

"May I ask what happened to your eye?" she inquired of him.

"Oh, this?" he began, "I got this in an incident at the station shortly before I was discharged," she looked over at him with a smirk and a raised eyebrow.

"I promise I didn't get into a fight or anything. A perp struck me, and I got knocked out. I was discharged at random because Republic City decided to cut a lot of their police force down in size. I ended up being let go," he told her.

"I have heard quite a bit regarding the sentiment regarding police work in the earth kingdom. The crime statistics have gone off the charts since then," she remarked.

"What about earth kingdom criminal statistics interests you?" he asked with a grin.

"Oh, I try to remain informed on issues both domestic and foreign, and I've always been fascinated with numbers and principles of mathematics," she returned, "You can argue with philosophical points any day, but you can never effectively argue with numbers." She proceeded into the dining hall through an open doorway.

"You've got a point there definitely," he said to her.

"This hall is reserved for dining on only certain occasions. Three or four days per week the court and staff attendants will all dine among one another. My mother has always expressed her desire to eat among her servants as a gesture of humility," she told him. The hall was decorated with pillars similarly designed to those within the corridors but encompassing the tops where they met the ceiling and the bases where they met the floors, there were decorative carvings of wood, plated with gold-leaf foil.

"That is pretty humble of her," Mako said.

"I suppose it is we will have dinner this evening here just before the sunset. My mother desires for you to be with us if you are comfortable," she inquired.

"I would be glad to attend, princess," he told her.

"I suspect that she will be glad to have you," she remarked, "Moving along, I would like to show you the courtyard; it has a special significance to my family."

He followed her further into the palace where they reached a door leading to the outside. He opened the door for her, and she smiled, thanking him for the gesture. The two of them proceeded through, and into the courtyard, whose path was covered by a roof that pointed upward from the very top.

She guided him through a gap in the railing where he stepped upon a path, navigating to the side of a pond. She sat next to it, having brought a box. She patted the ground next to her, inviting him to sit.

"Ever since I was a very little girl, my father and I would sit out here next to the pond. He told me he did the same with his own," she said, handing him a piece of bread, "The tree behind us has been around since Avatar Roku and Firelord Sozin lived here." Mako looked up, admiring the tree which remained in good health, imagining the stories it could tell, and the knowledge it could share with those who took part in its shade.

"I wanted you to see it and understand its significance, as even though my mother and grandfather stay busy, we often find the time to be out here among the turtle-ducks. We adore these little creatures," she said, patting one of the ducklings' little heads, "Go ahead, they're very sweet," she said to him. He tore a piece of bread from the portion that he was given and placed the piece at the edge of the pond. One of the older ducks leaned its head sideways over the edge, nipping away at the shred. He smiled very warmly.

"I used to see a lot of these in the park in Republic City. Bolin and I used to live there when we were on the streets," he said.

"Who is that?" she asked.

"Oh, Bolin is my brother. He still lives in Republic City," he said, not turning away his attention from the ducks.

"Do you miss him?" she asked. He paused and looked on thoughtfully.

"I do, honestly. I miss my friends and my family," he said softly. There was a long pause in talk between the two of them.

"Perhaps after we are done here, I could show you to the gallery," she said.

"I would be happy to join you," he said, smiling softly to her. His hair had grown slightly longer but was drawn back and organized neatly. His eye was still black all around the socket, but his vision had not suffered due to any swelling. His arm was still scarred thoroughly from the incident with Kuvira's mech.

"May I ask you a question?" she inquired.

"You certainly may, princess," he said.

"What happened to your arm?" she asked. He paused taken aback by the question for a moment, "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to pry."

"Oh, no you're just fine," he assured her, "When Kuvira attempted to invade republic city, she had this massive… tank with her. My brother and I made our way inside, and I zapped the core with lightning until it stopped working, but the core sort of… zapped me back," he said snickering a bit.

"Sounds like it must have been a very painful experience," she said, brushing her fingers along the surface of the water.

"I would have died had it not been for my brother dragging me out of that generator room," he told her.

"I had something happen recently; a group of assassins ambushed me and my family. I wanted to help fight them, and I tried, but one of them burned me," she said. Her demeanor became very low, and her voice got very quiet.

"I did hear about that from your grandfather, are you holding up okay?" he inquired.

"I am," she said, gently lifting her robe to unveil the lower portion of her leg which had been scarred, the affected region atop her foot and up her ankle having turned flesh pink but had healed with effectiveness, "The wounds took me off my feet for almost two months though."

"That…-That's awful," he began, clearly not knowing how to respond. She recovered her leg beneath her robe. There was but a short moment of silence between the two of them.

"I promise that I won't let that happen to you, not again," he said to her.

"You can't really promise that can you?" she asked him.

"I can promise that. I want you to be safe, and I won't rest unless you are," he assured her. She raised her head from the pond to him, having given the ducks all her bread. The ducklings now probed her hand seeking crumbs of any kind.

"Perhaps I could show you to the part of the palace where I spend most of my time," she said, standing and offering her hand. Mako took it and stood from where he sat. They walked back the way that they came and in through the door. She led him deliberately by his hand with an endearing excitement apparent on her facial expression. They finally arrived at a pair of doors on the other side of the palace.

"Is this the room you wanted to show me?" he asked with a gentle smile. She opened the door into a very quiet room, a massive dugout library, which extended from two floors below ground level to three above. The library was filled with shelves of dark wood, nicely varnished and stained, and the books were all very uniform in size down most of the sections of the upper floors, however the lower floors seemed to harbor a much more stylistically diverse collection.

"Wow… I don't think I've seen a library this big. I don't spend much time in libraries though," he said.

"Well, assuming you are with me throughout the day, there is a fine chance that will change soon enough," she spoke softly, grinning to him. He was intrigued.

"What books do you read may I ask?" her eyes lit up for a moment as she beckoned to lead him over to a particular section. She introduced him to a very large case of books, all very lengthy tomes, some scrolls that looked as if they were ancient, and some looked as if they had been recently added.

"I have read everything on these three rows, and currently I am on the fourth," she said gesturing to a ranging set of rows upon the bookshelf," he grinned at her.

"You have read all of these books?" he asked. She smiled gracefully and nodded to him, folding her hands beneath her robes, "What is this section?" he asked.

"This is a section for fictional works. These are tomes of fantasy and imagination," she said to him, "I find I enjoy the escape that each of them brings to me."

"I've never found very much escape in books. My mother used to read to me as a kid, but I can't remember what all she read."

"To have raised a fine young man, she must have been an upstanding woman. I would love to meet her one day," she told him. He grew silent and his demeanor lessened, which she noticed, tilting her head, "Is something wrong?" she asked.

"My parents… sort of-" he began as she zoned into him, "Died, when my brother and I were kids." Her hand covered her mouth.

"I- I'm- I'm sorry I didn't mea-mean to," she paused.

"No, it's alright, you didn't know. Don't feel bad," he said reassuring her.

"If-if its any, any consolation, I-I-I would be happy to re-read to you," she said awkwardly. He blushed for a moment, pausing.

"…okay," he said, nodding a bit, also done in awkward character.

"I know of one that-that I think you might enjoy," she said turning to the case, searching rapidly through titles. She pulled one.

"This happens to be a long time favorite of mine," she said, speaking clearly, and softly this time, "My great-grandmother, the one for whom I was named, would read this very book to me when I was a little girl, before she passed away," she said. She handed him the book, and he took it, gently running his thumb over the cover. The cover appeared as if it were gilded with gold leaf, and carefully decorated sealed with a strapped belt of fine leather that kept the book closed.

"Love amongst the dragons; I swear I've heard of this somewhere," he read softly.

"This is the original epic, off which the play is based. It is hundreds of years old," she remarked. He smiled.

"I would be delighted for you to read it to me some time," he said to her. She blushed gently and smiled at the remark.

"Okay," she said to him. He handed her the book which she placed upon the shelf in the exact position from which it originated.

"What else do you enjoy about the library here, he asked, seating himself against a bookshelf, whose chains jingled slightly. She sat next to him, and she thought for a moment.

"I find that the silence here clears my head. My mind is often in turmoil, and I find it hard to control. Whenever I experience troubles with lack of focus or clarity, I come here. Sometimes I don't even read, I will just sit and rest for a while," she said.

"That seems understandable. It's very quiet here, and I don't imagine that very many people would bother you." She folded her hands neatly beneath the sleeves of her robes. The two sat in silence for a moment, and he noticed that she had decided to shut her eyes as she sat.

"Are you tired by chance?" he asked.

"Oh, I'm just resting my eyes is all; I do a lot of reading and such which tends to tire them out," she said.

"How much do you usually read in a day?" he asked. She paused and picked a sizeable tome off the shelf, handing it to him.

"You read this… in one day," he asked. She nodded, smiling at his question, though her eyes remain closed. He placed the book back on the shelf from where it came.

"There hasn't ever been much to do around the palace. I used to play with Iroh as a girl, but he and I eventually grew up, and I was twelve when he shipped off to join the United Forces; ever since then, all I've ever really done is read and train," she said.

"What all do you train?" he asked. She smiled and led him back to her room.

Within her room of the palace, there was a vast array of space. Even though the bed was of a fairly great size, it was dwarfed by how large the room itself was in its entirety. Throughout the space there were several targets, riddled with blades and sharp objects of all sorts. She donned a thin pair of gloves, lined with chain mail, protecting her delicate hands from any damage.

"When it was determined that I was not a firebender like my brother, my mother wanted for me to attain some level of competence in defending myself in the case of an attack. She asked my grandmother to teach me what she knew, training with rope darts, stilettos, kunai and kukri, throwing stars, and the Wakizashi No Katana."

"What all do you usually carry with you?" he asked her. She gently parted a portion of her robe for him to witness all these weapons, securely sheathed within pockets, her sword, however, tended to stay within her room, as it was difficult to conceal. She reached for the blade within the three-piece set, and opened it for him, revealing a sword of remarkable craftsmanship. She began a demonstrative routine, standing among several targets surrounding her and as she did, Mako took a few steps backward.

She inhaled very deeply, having tied back a portion of her hair, and she deployed a rope dart, and in a well- choreographed motion, she extended herself swiftly, firing it out into the target in front of her, quickly drawing it back in a shuffle. The dart whirled in a lasso alternating on either side of her, and her face remained stoic, and neutral, as if unattached. As she shuffled for a moment, her momentum shifted, gracefully extending the dart into the target that was once behind her, knocking it down.

She withdrew the dart once more, allowing for it to fall to the ground, drawing it back to her with a tug, and as she retrieved, it, she stepped atop the chain, depositing the dart precisely upon the surface of her foot. She kicked outward, and her robe flourished as the dart struck another target, hard. She withdrew it into a graceful shuffle again, before withdrawing it back into her hand it a quick instant, her glove jingling as a tambourine would when she gripped the dart. Mako stood in admiration, she turned to him.

"That was amazing!" he approached her smiling; she blushed modestly, "I mean, I've seen someone use a weapon like that before, but never so gracefully."

"Thank you," she said to him, reeling the dart back and hanging it back beneath the section of her robe. She swung her robe back closed and within a few seconds the clock had chimed.

"I suspect that now would be a good time to pay attendance to the dining hall. My mother is hosting a dinner," she said to him.

"Am I invited?" he asked.

"Oh, of course! You are a member of the court!" she remarked. He smiled at this.

The two of them emerged into the dining hall, having been preemptively organized and setup prior to their arrival. It was the midevening, five before midnight, and they were early to arrive. Many of the others had yet to prepare themselves.

"Mako," Ursa called out, "We will be seated here; there is a chair for you next to me," she came before the firelord and lord Zuko and bowed.

"We are very grateful to have you look after my daughter, Mako," Izumi spoke, "Recent events have put us all on edge concerning the safety of my daughter, and your presence here gives us peace of mind."

"I am grateful for the opportunity to serve you, Lord Izumi," he remarks aloud. She smiles. He walks around the table, being seated beside Izumi, and soon enough, the remainder of court officials pour in through the doors, clamorously conversing amongst one another. They were all eventually seated, and the dinner soon began. Izumi stood. She wasn't particularly tall, but as she stood, she almost seemed to tower over everyone else, and the room quickly fell silent with reverence to her grace.

"I thank you all for coming this evening; it has always been my pleasure to host all of you for a dinner, however before we begin there are a number of announcements that I would like to issue prior to us partaking this evening," she began, "There is a new member among us, who has been selected to guard my daughter in these times of distress," she gestured toward Mako, who stood at her signal.

"This is Mako, and it is my desire that he receive the utmost respect among all of you, as he is committing a great service to my family and me. The second of these announcements is regarding the masquerade ball to proceed in three days. It is estimated by meteorological sources, that no inclement weather will be present, nor volcanic or seismic activity will be present upon the day of the event, thus the event will proceed as planned." The final announcement was met with applause and joy from the audience, which soon settled after. Izumi concluded her statement and Zuko signaled that the server's cue for entrance, and soon after, several well-dressed ladies and gentlemen proceeded out from the doors, bussing carts of platters to be carefully placed before all the people present. As they proceeded, an ensemble of traditional instruments, erhu strings, guzheng, guqin, and percussion sounded with pleasant tunes.

"What is this about a ball?" Mako inquired of Zuko.

"Oh, it is merely an annual ball to take place on the spring equinox. It is a very old tradition within the fire nation to cue in the procession of spring and times of warmth and growth. The fire nation has always had a love for extravagant affairs, so it is no surprise that you will experience some in your time here," he said, gently sipping a glass of wine. Soon enough, food had been placed before Mako, alongside a freshly cut set of bamboo chopsticks. Komodo chicken, with rice, broccoli, and other assorted vegetables. He took a moment to observe the aesthetics of the presentation of the food that had been placed before him.

"I've never had a meal that I didn't enjoy in my life here," remarked Ursa sipping at her own wine.

"I wouldn't imagine so; I haven't seen something prepared this way since I stayed at Zaofu," he remarked. He wielded his chopsticks and took part in what was present.

The ensemble flourished gently as the guzheng artist ran her hands lightly across the strings. The Erhu musician began to play a solo, and a dancer performed a routine which she had prepared strictly, wielding a fan in one hand, with her other, she gracefully and naturally gestured. The dancer donned an outfit, much like that of Ursa's, although Ursa's was more flowing and open in the skirt, much like the robes that Zuko wore. The dancer had elaborately decorated her face with painted, artistic renditions of natural scenery painted in black ink upon a white, airbrushed base. Everything about her appearance was closely controlled, but her procession and dance even more so. She paid very focus attention to the gesture and figure of her hand as she manipulated a fan. She was grace personified.)

Mako soon finished his meal in its entirety, satisfied rather well. Soon after, the people began to leave for their homes, as the sun had set, and things had begun to quiet down. The ensemble eventually ceased their music-making, and silence proceeded. Mako was assigned to always stay with Ursa and thus was to remain with her. Izumi and Zuko took their leave, and eventually, the two were left alone. Mako sipped at water, and Ursa gently of wine.

"Have you had water this evening?"

"Likely not enough I must say," she remarked giggling.

"May I ask how much wine you had?" he inquired, smirking.

"Only three or four glasses," she said.

"Perhaps I should escort you to your room for the evening," he said to her. She stood, albeit taking a moment to obtain her balance.

"I suppose it would be ideal to turn in soon," she remarked, adjusting her glasses.

"You won't be having any trouble walking will you?" he asked.

"Oh no, I assure you I won'-" she tripped just as she began to speak, and Mako caught her as she nearly fell beside him.

"ThAt DoEsn't CouNt!" she said the two of them giggling at the humor of the incident as she fixed her glasses. Mako walked her back, and as he did, she held fast to one of his arms for balance. Her breathing became heavy for a moment, but she wasn't terribly out of it. The hallways had darkened with the evening and the night.

"Are you going to be able to make it to your bed?" he inquired laughing at her lack of balance, "that wine must have been pretty strong."

"I Can wAlk I ASsure yOu!" she said letting go of his arm in an unsuccessful attempt to demonstrate. She nearly lost her balance for a moment, and he was amused at the sight, reaching out to help her again. She laughed at herself for a moment, holding tight to Mako's forearm. She ran her hands along his arms to feel the definition.

"My, you are quite-handsome this evening. You… are very muscular," she remarked looking up to him with a grin, she almost seemed sober as she said this. He drew her back onto her feet where as soon as she regained her balance, she looked at him in the gentle torchlight.

"Are you okay?" he asked nodded lightly, looking up to him and smirking. She shoved him against a column and ran off into the darkness, giggling as she did so.

"Ursa!" he said, chasing after her, "You could fall!" he remarked aloud in the hallway. She managed to elude him and it quickly became a game of hide-and-seek in which he looked behind each pillar and around every corner. He was unsuccessful for a few moments before he felt a sudden tug at his collar, and she subdued him quickly against one of the walls of the corridor and she wrapped her hands around his face and lunged forth to kiss him. His eyes went wide for a clearly enjoyed herself as she did so, smiling as she pulled away. Her glasses were slightly thrown off in the act, and she looked into his eyes curiously, as if a hungry child before a dinner table. Her breath and lips tasted of fine wine, and it was strong. He could taste the flavor of grapes left over on his lips for a while… with a hint of strawberry.

"You… You have no idea how long I have-have-have waited to-to do th-that," she said to him out of her stupor. His eyes were still wide as he looked around to observe who may have spied them in the hallway. Nobody was present. He helped her to her feet and down the hallway to where her room was.

"Where are you taking me, young man?" she flirted. He gave no response, still flustered and red in the face. She was light, so he swept her up and carried her. The guards smirked at him, carrying the giggling princess into her room, laying her out on the bed sideways for recovery, and fetching a pitcher of water for when she wakes. She quickly fell asleep, and he took her glasses from her face, and removed the ornament from her hair. She snored lightly, and the sight would have almost been endearing had he not been so taken aback. He stepped out of her room, sighing, and shaking his head and the guards laughed with him a bit.

"Not gonna lie man, she's kind of a mess," remarked one of them.

"Noted," Mako said in return, lightly nodding and returning to his room just down the hall. He entered his room and laid out onto the bed, and from there, he fell asleep himself in a moment.

"Mako," remarked an unfamiliar voice. He woke up startled with a gasp.

"Oh dear, I'm sorry!" Zuko spoke to him.

"No, no you're just fine," he said back to the servant and Zuko.

"I am the servant assigned to attend to your room and wake you in the mornings; my name is Tsuki," she remarked. She was a middle-aged woman, with dark brown hair who wore traditional fire nation garb.

"Oh, thank you," he said, "Sorry, it was a strange night, last night."

"I recall, I apologize on her behalf. I heard what happened from the guards," Zuko responded.

"Is that normal for her?"

"Only on occasions. There is a lot you ought to know about her, I must say," she said to him, carrying a tray over to a table within the room, "I have brought you breakfast, I'd like to talk to you if you don't mind," she said to him.

"Oh! Thank you! I'd be happy to," he said, standing from his allowed for him to eat a moment, and he finished his food very quickly before she had the chance to begin.

"You eat… awfully swiftly," she remarked, taken aback, "I always heard that my cooking was good, but…"

"Oh, the food is very flavorful here, but most of it is just the way I've always been about eating," he said, "I don't always have a lot of time to eat, so I have to get everything down quickly."

"Understandable," she remarked.

"So, what was it you wanted to talk about?" he asked.

"I want you to take the princess to the ball," Zuko remarked immediately. Mako was flustered, much the same way as he had been the night before, "I know, it's an odd proposition, but I have been very worried about her."

"Is… everything alright with her?" he inquired.

"You ought to know that the princess…" the servant began uneasily, "Is very, very sheltered. Her mother was always careful never to allow for her to go to far as a child, but even now, she scarcely ever ventures out of the palace but once a year."

"Does she have any friends or people she talks to?" he asked, cleaning his hands in a water bowl in the corner of his room.

"I am afraid she doesn't, and she's always been so afraid to go beyond and make any," Zuko said to him, "even aside from the sheltering, I'm afraid there is something about her that just makes her so… unsociable, and I've been so worried about her recently as she is over twenty years, and she still has hardly seen the world outside the palace, it's just been too dangerous out there for her," she said.

"Okay, I can… I can do that," he said to them, "Don't worry about her not getting out, I'll see to that as well," Mako assured the servant.

"Thank you Mako," remarked Zuko with relief.

"It's my pleasure," he said to him, bowing lowly, "your granddaughter is a wonderful young lady."

He removed some of his uniform clothing, finding that some were looking a bit worse for wear. He sat for a moment, before looking over at the drawer that he had opened quite much earlier. He walked over to it, pulling it open, and removing a series of garb from within. He donned an outfit that resembled Zuko's field clothing, and he looked to himself within the mirror. He furthered the outfit, opting for a pair of pointed shoes. He felt the look was a bit off, but strangely appealing. He gave a thoughtful look for a moment, donning a cloak to draw the outfit together, but something was still missing.

"It is because your hair hasn't been drawn," came a quaint voice from the edge of the room. He jumped, startled greatly by the remark.

"Ursa!" he said to her.

"The servant had left the door open on her way out, and I couldn't help but notice that you had found some of the clothing I had placed here for you of interest.

"You had this brought in for me?" he asked.

"Of course, I mean, it was the least I could do for all that you've aided us in these times," she said to him, fastening a portion of the part in his outfit.

"Thank you," he began, "What was it you said about my hair?" he asked.

"Once your hair has gotten down to your shoulders the way that yours has," she began, "You will need to learn to render it into a top-knot. Such is a cultural norm here in the fire nation," she said, guiding him over to a chair in front of a mirror.

"Sit here," she said. She retrieved a long, ornate piece of ribbon from within a drawer, and unraveled it. She took up his hair, brushing it out with a brush that she retrieved from a drawer from behind him, and she began to gather his hair, manipulating it gently, and fastening it tightly as she wrapped it with the ribbon at the base of the protrusion. Mako looked to his reflection, finding this new hairstyle to flatter the figure of his face. He looked back at her,

"Thank you," he said to her.

"Is everything alright?" she inquired, noting his tone.

"Well… sort of," he said. She sat next to him, "I'm starting to lose vision in my eye a bit… and I'm really hoping that I don't go blind. I don't know what's wrong with it, and I've been using ointments since I left Katara's, but it doesn't seem to want to heal. I'm hoping I don't end up half blind. It's hard to do my job without both eyes," he said to her.

"That is understandable certainly," she acknowledged. She paused a long moment, looking rather uneasy.

"Are you, alright?" he asked.

"I'm-I'm just a little…" she began, nervously, "I'msorryaboutlastnight…" she stumbled through awkwardly. She held her forehead in her hand, and her face turned very red for a moment.

"I don't remember much, but I remember being very… forward with you. It all felt like a dream and…" she said, "I'm so sorry," she said.

"Hey," he said, in an attempt to comfort her, "Don't worry about it, I promise it didn't bother me too much, it just took me by surprise is all," he said smiling to her. She looked out from beneath her hand to see if it was safe to come out.

"it's just… such behavior is very… unbecoming of a princess. I was always raised to be upright and proper, and it has always been my desire to remain that way, but fire nation wine has always enticed me rather… sweetly."

"It can do that certainly," he said with a grin, "Are you feeling okay?" he asked.

"Yes, I just have a headache is all," she said.

"Did you have any of the water I placed on your nightstand?" he asked her.

"You…?"

"Oh yeah, I meant to place it there in case you were a bit hungover in the morning," he said to her.

"Oh… Why, thank you, that's very kind of you." she said to him.

"Perhaps getting some water soon. I had wondered if I couldn't take you around for a walk this morning. It's very cool out today," he told her, standing before her, hanging on the post of the bed.

"I've…" she began, "I think that sounds wonderful actually. Let me go prepare," she remarked excitedly, taking leave from the room. He raised the cloak so that it fastened to his outfit, hanging just above the ground and he followed her, shutting the door behind him.

"Will you be okay, walking a mile or two?" he asked.

"My, a mile seems quite sufficient, I'm afraid that I don't get out enough to walk two," she said to him.

"I can carry you again if necessary," he smirked.

"Oh, that won't be needed," she giggled.

The two of them turned down the offers of the palanquin bearers to take them wherever they needed, but they were simply out for a stroll.

"How often do you just, go for walks like this?" she asked of him, walking closely beside him.

"I usually try to do this at least two or three times every day," he remarked. He offered his arm as soon as they reached the entryway to the palace, and she took it gracefully.

"It's no wonder you maintain your figure," she remarked.

"I also train very intensely, I do a lot of boxing," he said to her.

"That has always seemed to be such a brutal sport. I can't imagine two people willingly getting in the ring and being so rough with one another," she remarked.

"It can be very brutal, but I grew up on the streets, so I'm pretty familiar with walked through the market district, witnessing people selling food, handmade crafts, and as they did this, the crowd became denser. Mako became alert suddenly, and he became entrenched mindfully, scanning the entirety of the environment.

"Where did you grow up may I ask?"

"On the streets of Republic City. My brother and I were homeless, so I ended up doing a lot of dirty work to keep us afloat," he said as he continued to look about, and as he did, he suddenly spotted a man, a group of men, rather, sitting around on top of a roof. The group was riddled with tattoos, their shirts unclasped or tied around their waist. (Their tattoos were a sight to behold, elaborate artistic renditions of very colorful designs. He forgot on multiple occasions that such people do not take kindly to those that stare, often receiving deadly glares and threatening gestures in return as he snapped his gaze back forward. He saw images of lotus flowers, warriors, dragons, koi fish, cherry blossom flowers, and tigers rendered in a beautiful fashion.

"Those tattoos are nice," he said aloud.

"Those are the Ketsueki," she spoke softly to him. As Mako looked over to them, one of them turned to look back at him, and they caught eye to eye for a moment. Mako halted the walk, and they stared at one another. Mako threw some quick glances, spotting them placed all about the area, and they all looked to stared back at the man atop the roof, and he had drawn a broadsword, sharpening it with a whetstone, slowly. His trousers were fastened around the knee, and he sat atop the roof, shirtless with a number of other men who caught his gaze and joined him in staring down a man who had been trespassing.

"Figured; Let's stay out of this side of town," he said back to her, turning their course back. They returned to the palace again, being welcomed at the gates. Mako proposed they head to cool off at the library. Her eyes lit up for a moment and she smiled.

"That sounds lovely," she said to him.

They entered the main palace door and Ursa turned to him for a moment.

"If you will excuse me, I would like to freshen up in my room for a moment before we head that way," she said to him. He smiled and nodded, escorting her to her room for a moment. Mako heard a whisper for a moment. He turned to the source.

"Have you asked her about it yet?" she inquired.

"What? Oh, not yet" he said, stepping into his room where she hid, and away from the door to not be heard.

"Okay, I'm sorry for pressing all of this on you so soon, she's just such a wonderful young lady and we want her to be happy," she said.

"I understand," he said to her quietly, "maybe it would be best that you don't worry too much about it," he assured her with a firm gesture.

"I know, I know…" she said, staring across the hallway to her door to see if she had yet exited, "Have you heard her voice?" she asked, this time, speaking in a much calmer tone. Mako wore a confused look.

"As in, heard her speak?" he asked.

"No, as in, heard her sing?" she inquired.

"I didn't… realize she sang openly," he remarked.

"She doesn't, she very rarely sings to people, even those that she likes," Tsuki began, but she wore a sweet smile, "But she has the most beautiful voice."

"How do you know this?" he asked, looking out the crack of the door again.

"Very late during the nights, often the second or third night of the week, she will take a lantern, and go into the library, and go down to the very bottom, and she will sing songs," she said to him, leaning in to whisper.

"What kind?" he inquired.

"Oh, all sorts; I've heard her sing fire nation tunes, popular songbook tunes, and jazz even," she whispered.

"Hmm, I wonder if I couldn't catch her one of these nights," he said.

"Go tonight and wait in the library until it's very late. Make sure that she doesn't know you're there. She wants to keep her singing to herself, and I think it would scare her if she knew someone was listening."

"Doesn't that mean we shouldn't intrude on her privacy," he asked with an unsure look to his face.

"Oh, I suppose you're right," she said.

"Alright, look, I'll go tonight and see if I can't hear her," he proposed. She nodded and pushed him out the door, and as soon as he steps foot in the hallway, the door opened, and he found his balance again, fixing his hair as Tsuki silently shut the door. He turned to see Ursa again.

"Are you alright?" she asked.

"Oh, um, yeah, just- talking with one of the servants is all," he said to her a bit nervously.

She smirked, "I hear they gossip quite a bit, but they never let me in on it," she said.

"That's probably for the better," he said to her.

That night, Mako waited by his door, staked out, watching from down the hallway to see if she would come out of her room. The night was long, but he knew long nights well by now. They reminded him of his time in the alleys of Republic city by the light of a gas lamp, staying awake to look after his brother, sleeping on a collapsed cardboard box beneath a wool blanket. His time as a cop saw no shortage of late nights, some spent waiting on calls, others spent moonlighting security work, or staking out perps' locations. He saw a flourish of movement and hid behind the corner peeking out silently, and like clockwork, the guards allowed her to pass, as she moved on toward the library. Mako followed her, quietly, and she slipped through the doors. He waited ninety seconds precisely, and then slipped in the same way.

Mako navigated over to the railing, and peeped through the bars, spotting her emerge on the lowest levels with a lantern in her hands, and she set it down on one of the tables. At the lowest levels were several tables, upon one was a phonograph device, to which she brought several records. She quietly carried them from the shelf over to the table on which it sat. He observed her from a prone. It was pristinely quiet. She gracefully removed one of the records and placed it upon the turntable, setting the needle upon the edge, and soon, the music began to sound, instrumentally, beginning with violins and the sound of a band… and a gorgeous contralto voice rose out of the silence.

"The evening breeze, caressed the trees… tenderly…" her voice was sweet and low… she held her hands delicately folded in front of her.

"The trembling trees embraced the breeze tenderly

Then you and I… came wand'ring by,

And lost in a sigh… were we"… and in the moment, he was captivated. He edged his chin over the ledge of the balcony to get a better look at her as she serenaded the hall that condensed the sound.

"The shore was kissed… by seas and mist… tenderly

I can't forget, how two hearts met… breathlessly

Your arms open wide… enclose me inside," She unfolded her hands briefly, conducting a three-four pattern with delicate gesturing and cues.

"You took my lips… you took my love…. So tenderly…"

He rolled onto his back for a moment to listen. Her voice was sweet, like that of a mover-star. Mako crawled away and stood from his prone, and as he crept out of the library, he accidentally knocked over a cart that he tried unsuccessfully to catch. Her head was immediately drawn over to source, and she lightly took the needle off and swiped the record, placing it back in the folder. Mako hid among the bookshelves and waited as she soon made her way swiftly out with the lantern in her hand, but as he hid, he knocked a book from the shelf and he facepalmed at his own negligence. She stopped and turned to where he hid.

"Who's there?" she inquired. She made her way over to where he was, deploying a stiletto knife from the sleeve of her robe.

"Hey, uhm," Mako said nervously as the light shined over him, "… please don't stab me?" he said unsurely.

"Mako?" she inquired, squinting, and tilting her head as the dim light shone over picked the book up and replaced it in its original position.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't sleep," which wasn't technically a lie as he had been troubled with insomnia as of recent. He approached her, "I noticed that you went out of your room for a while, and I figured you came here," he said to her as they stood in the light of the lantern in her hand. She turned away from him for a moment.

"What… what all did you…-"

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean-"

"What did you hear?" she interjected. He paused. The library had a special quality of silence to it, like that of the beginning of a windless snowfall. All of the carpeting, the books, the furniture, and the likes sapped up the sound to make fore a very peaceful atmosphere, it's no wonder she enjoyed it as a refuge so much, but the silence here, just built the tension.

"I heard your voice," he said softly. Her hand went to her face. There was a long silence between the two of them, only broken by a sigh she let out.

"Your voice, it's… beautiful," he said to her.

"It's also none of your business," she turned her head to the left and said in a frustrated tone. She left the library swiftly, and he sat for a moment, kicking himself for not being more careful. He turned his head up and groaned, facepalming.

Eventually, it was the morning once more, and Tsuki woke him. It was a long-held tradition that the night's watch would send a signal at the break of light on the eastern horizon, and they would signal that the servants be woken, who would then wake everyone according to their obligation. Alarm clocks were considered a nuisance, and to have someone wake him for the morning was substantially gentler than a ticking machine.

"Did everything go okay last night?" she asked as soon as he woke.

"Do you ever just say good morning?" he snickered.

"Sorry, good morning… what happened last night?"

"Eh… I kind of… messed up."

"Ohhh… that explains it." She sat on the bed with a look of dismay.

"Wait, explains what?" he asked, rubbing his eyes and sitting up from the bed.

"She locked the door and now she won't come out of her room!" she said, scolding him.

"I'm sorry okay, I-"

"Get up and go talk to her!" she demanded, dragging him out of bed, rapping him with a rolled up newspaper.

"Okayokayokay! Let me get some clothes on!" he pleaded trying to raise himself up.

He walked across the hall to see the guards posted at the front, the sun was rising.

"Has it just occurred to you that she just wants to sleep in?" he turned back to Tsuki and asked.

"Dude, she didn't sleep at all last night, pretty sure she's still awake," one of the guards remarked.

"Oh okay, I checked up on her last night and caught her in a private moment in the library," he said to the guard.

"Daaaaamn dude," the guard added.

"No no no- Not like,"

"Dude, it's cool, we know what happened," he returned with a facepalmed.

"Just knock and ask if you can come in," Tsuki whispered over his shoulder.

"Okay okay, step back a moment," Mako said as the guards parted their pikes to allow him close to the door.

Mako knocked lightly… "Hey… can I come in?" he asked. There was an immediate catch of a latch within the door, and dead silence in the corridor.

"Pretty sure that was the deadbolt," said the guard.

"Closing or opening?" Mako asked. The guard shrugged, almost comically. Mako turned the handle of the large doorknob, and lightly pressed against the door. It opened smoothly and quietly. He slipped in quietly, wearing a tank top and a pair of trousers, and he closed the door behind him, making an impact with the frame.

"Tsuki has been putting you up to all of this hasn't she?" she asked as soon as the door closed.

"All of what?" he inquired.

"Taking me out and around, spying on me, taking me to the ball…" she said to him.

"I haven't asked you to the ball," he said to her.

"I heard the conversation from across the hall," she stood and turned to him, "There isn't any need to play dumb with me. That busybodied servant would spend the rest of her life gossiping and I have half the mind to exile her from the capitol," she said turning to the window. Mako gave her a second.

"You and I both know that you don't want to do that," he said.

"And What would you know about me?" she asked turning to him with a look of indignance painted across her face, "I have just met you!" she raised.

"I know enough, princess. It would be too much of your time and energy to spend sending someone away from their family and livelihood forever. It takes a lot of spite and hatred to wish that on someone, and while I don't know you well, I know enough about you to know that you aren't that kind of person," he said calmly. She paused and sighed, shutting her eyes.

"Perhaps… I am not," she resigned, "but I'm still mad at you," she continued.

"That, I can understand to some extent," he said. She sighed for a moment and sat back on her bed, facing away from her.

"I'm-I'm sorry," she said to him.

"Don't be," he said.

"I just-just thought I-I was alone and when I heard y-" she broke off her sentence out of frustration, standing and ripping out a dozen of throwing stars, sending them flying into the walls. Her breathing was erratic, and she threw stilettos into the grounds around her. Mako approached her with his hands out to her in surrender. Her hands went to her face.

"I'm-I'm-I'm-I'm s-so-…" she stuttered. Mako embraced her for a moment. She held tightly to him for a moment, and she pressed her head into him, taking a moment to breathe and to calm down. It was a solid half hour of silence that they shared together.

"Would you have said yes If I had asked," she inquired softly, breaking the silence.

"Yes," he said to her. She turned her head up to him, her lenses still on her nightstand.

"I know of a way you can make this up to me…" she mumbled to him.

Mako woke to Tsuki for another morning, he smelled the familiar scent of bacon and eggs and rose from his bed. Tsuki had been reluctant to talk, being less than inclined to talk about others, especially since overhearing the ordeal through the door so long ago. Mako stood, donning a silk bathrobe for a moment as Tsuki gathered the sheets. He removed his right arm, once covered in a scar, now clad in a very colorful rendition of art that coated him like a sleeve, extending all the way up his arm, and across his pectoral and shoulder blade. The Ketsueki were slow and careful about their craft when it came to these marks and although it was a long, painful process, imprinting, the results were stunning and uniquely artistic. Out of the collage of art protruded a fire-breathing, long, red dragon; it reminded him of Druk to look at. In another portion, a black koi splashed. The remainder was decorated with the imprint of a sun, a red lotus flower, and along his shoulder blade, the imprint of a scantily clad woman, holding fast to a long Katana blade. He lifted his hand to his eye, whose blackness had mysteriously begun to spread even beyond his eye socket, reaching out tendrils over his eyebrow and the side of his nose. It had now become a grave concern of his, but there was still no sign of infection. Tsuki fetched him water which he drank heartily. He despised the thought of dehydration, having experienced enough of it in his time to grow sick of it.

Mako donned the leather eye patch, and tied his hair, now trimmed to his back between his shoulder blades. He donned a robe, and soon entered the hallway, where soon, Ursa too entered the hallway, smiling to him for the morning. He offered his arm to escort her to the breakfast with the firelord and family, as per their usual ritual for the morning.

He saw her into the small café outside of the palace walls and in public, unlike the dining hall, in that this place was quiet and with a low ceiling.

"Good morning, Mako," Zuko welcomed them. He tilted his head and extended his hand for a moment to Mako's face, "Perhaps it may be time we pay Katara a visit. I am concerned for your eye."

"I have planned that. I will be taking a temporary leave for a week to take a boat down to the South Pole." Zuko nodded to acknowledge his effort, ushering him in where Izumi waved them over to a table.

"Good morning sweetheart," she said to her daughter, standing and kissing her on the forehead, "and you too, Mako," she said kissing him on the face to everyone's amusement. Mako led her to her chair, drawing it out for her, as a personal courtesy. He seated himself next to her and was greeted by an elderly woman who arrived soon after.

"So, I hear you're the one who fended off the Ketsueki," she remarked.

"I am the one," he remarked.

"I have an appreciation for those so proficient with lightning," she remarked, "my name is Azula," she remarked.

"The prodigy herself," he began, "It's an honor to meet you," he said to her, standing to bow.

"You are an awfully handsome young man; I sure hope you aren't meaning to get to me with flattery, because if you are, you should know it's working," she snickered, throwing Mako off for a moment.

"I'm toying with you, sit down," she demanded of him.

The weather was overcast in the sky as the two of them boarded. For the desire of furthering her knowledge and experience of the outside world, lord Zuko had expressed desire that Ursa accompany him on the journey to the south pole. She stood at the forefront of the ship as it navigated the waters. She had attempted on several occasions to find her balance but was thrown about the boat. Mako caught her and she laughed hysterically, fixing her glasses.

"Are you going to be okay, this trip could be almost two days length," he said to her.

"I should be alright. My father used to take me on trips as a child, and it was always fun to me, being on a boat," she said to him.

"Maybe we should get you below deck. I don't want you falling overbo-" they were both cut off by a sudden lurch of the ship sending Mako into the wall and Ursa into him. The two looked at one another, and Ursa blushed.

"Are you okay?" he asked. She nodded lightly to him.

The South Pole was cold as usual, and Ursa held closely to Mako for the warmth that emanated from him. The two of them entered the tent together.

"Mako," greeted Katara with a smile. She stood to approach the two of them and embrace them, "I have been ready for you, let's get started." Mako turned to Ursa and spoke.

"Are you going to be okay waiting here?" he inquired of her.

"Oh, I should be fine; I've brought a number of books with me, so I ought to be occupied for quite some time." Mako nodded and left her to the waiting room entering the healing hut with Katara. She requested that he relinquish his clothes, and he did just that in response, folding them neatly and placing them beside the pool as he stepped into the spirit water. He went down, laying himself back, and as he did, Katara sat beside him, removing the leather eye patch, and recoiling at the sight.

"Is everything alright?" he asked of her. She was silent for a moment, bending water to cover her hand, and as she did, she placed her hand over his eye, and she gasped, jumping back.

"What?!" he asked, raising from the waters, "What happened?!" he asked.

"Mako…" she said, her voice trailing off and her gaze going to the side. There was a moment of silence between the two.

"You must have the eye removed… at once; I am going to call a surgeon. He will be here in thirty minutes." she said to him. Mako sank back into the pool, his facial expression sinking with him, and he sulked for a moment. Katara placed her hand on his shoulder.

"I'm so sorry; I've tried everything that I know," she said. He placed his hand on hers, looking up to her.

"Thank you, Katara…" He stood from the waters and reached for a towel to dry himself, and he donned his clothes again to meet Ursa in the lobby.

"Mako? That was awfully quick, is everything okay?" she said, standing to meet him at the doorway.

"I…" he began, "Listen, they're going to have to remove my eye…" Her mouth gaped for a moment and her hand raised to the side of her face. She took the hand and place it upon his, raising his gaze from the floor, and moving forward to take hold of him.

"I'll be alright, I promise," he said to her.

"I worry that this could put you out of work," she said to him.

"I don't think they'll get rid of me; I've already lost my vision, so it shouldn't hurt to remove it. I'll just be wearing the eyepatch you gave me more often. They're going to put me under in about an hour I think," he said.

"Right now?! How long do you think it will be?" she asked.

"I don't know. It couldn't be terribly long I don't think, but it might be a few hours at most."

"I'll see if we can't get a message sent home," she said, running out of the tent.

Mako sighed and returned into the healing hut. Katara sat on a bench with him, placing her hand on his leg.

"I've never seen anything like this… I can't begin to tell you how sorry I am that I can't help you," she said to him, her face downtrodden.

"You've done everything that you can. That's all I could ask of you."

"I know; I just wish there was another way." Mako wrapped his arm around her where she sat beside him. There was a pause.

"Are you and Ursa… involved with one another?" she asked. He was put off by the question. "Pardon me, I've just been wondering about you two."

"Not currently we aren't… together. She's shown some interest though, I think. I…" he scratched his neck and his eyes shot all over the room.

"You sound worried." He sighed with resignation, lowering his gesturing a moment.

"I am honestly. There's a lot at stake here and I have a bit of a track record of messing things up with women."

"What makes you say that?"

"Well, I kind of messed things up pretty bad between me and Asami, back when we were together… and I also messed things up pretty bad between me and Korra…" he paused, "I think I'm just bad at relationships in general."

Katara chuckled a bit at the remark, "You remind me of Zuko," she said. He wore a look of intrigue.

"How so?"

"When he was your age, he had a number of opportunities that went wrong as well."

"Dare I ask?" he snickered.

"Well, he told me about a girl named Jin that he saw once in his time in Ba Sing Se as a refugee. This was after his time in exile. He told me about all of his awkward moments there, as well as his moments with a few other girls that threw themselves at him."

"Zuko had women throwing themselves at him?" he snickered.

"Oh he was very handsome when he was your age, and even now quite frankly he is a bit charming. Even I found him quite attractive at the time, although we had our differences that kept us apart, and I eventually found myself in a loving relationship with the avatar," she said smiling, "He tried so hard to keep it together with Mai, but time after time, things just seemed to fall apart over and again," she remarked.

"Did anything change?" he asked.

"Well, he and Mai split up for a few years, and they didn't see each other for a long time. She left him during the Yu Dao movement, that eventually would become the foundation of Republic City, and I suppose he simply moved on. Soon enough, she moved back into the capitol, and they ran into one another."

"Did they hit it off?" he asked.

"Well, at first we all noticed that things were very awkward, but they eventually came around to talking to each other again and catching up. We had started to lose hope for them, but over time, they just seemed to become good friends again. We didn't expect to see them together… but when we did, it was so beautiful. They got married, and soon enough, I ended up helping Mai to deliver Izumi herself." She wore a look of endearment of these thoughts.

"That all sounds like quite a story," he said. She turned to him.

"You sound like you don't think you'll have one of your own, dear." His facial expression looked a bit more downtrodden.

"I don't honestly. I don't feel like I deserve one right now," he said to her.

"Why is that?" she asked.

"I guess I just haven't lived a lot of that down?"

"You will dear," she assured him, "you will heal with time. I promise you." He sighed.

The surgeon soon entered, and Katara led Mako into a back room, which appeared to be simply a trauma OR, the sight of which was a bit unsettling.

"Lie back dear," she said to him, taking his arm, "This will sting a bit," she said to him, running an IV needle into the bend of his arm. He breathed deeply and relaxed.

"We are going to put you under in a few moments," she said, placing a mask over his face, "Just relax… Count down from ten," she told him, as the ventilator began.

"10… 9, 8… 7… 6… … 5," his head relaxed into the bed and Katara nodded at the surgeon to begin his work as he spread his tools onto the cart, having been sterilized.

"Just the affected eye," she said to the man.

"Understood," said the man, sharpening his scalpel. Katara left the room to seek out Ursa.

The scene reset upon the very opposite side of the globe, and though the wind had been rough as of recent, it was calm that late afternoon, and two, twin children, seven or eight years of age played throughout the tundra, tossing snow at one another and giggling. The little girl ran off to lead her brother astray, climbing up a hill riddled with faceted shards of ice.

"Eska! Wait for me!" shouted the boy, following after her, unable to keep with her pace. She fit her way into a small crevice trying to contain her laughter so she wouldn't give away her location. In one of her arms, she had gathered snowballs to surprise her brother.

"Where'd you go!?" the boy shouted. She peaked her head up just above the surface and pelted him with one and dropped down as soon as she heard the impact.

"Hey!" the boy shouted, climbing after the source.

"Eska! Desna!" shouted a mother's voice from the bottom of the hill. The two emerged and immediately ran down, presenting themselves and bowing before their caregiver.

"What have you two been doing over there? Haven't I told you I didn't want you going up that hill. It's dangerous to be playing there," she said with her hands on her hips.

"We're sorry mother," uttered the boy, their gazes lowered, "there are just so many places to hide."

"You two better get inside soon. Your father will be home shortly, and I am preparing dinner this evening. We will be having spiced prune stew." The children celebrated and hugged their mother who bent down to embrace the two of them lovingly and kiss both on their faces. The two ran inside and the mother looked over in the direction of the trail leading into the capitol city, awaiting her husband's arrival. She stood during the afternoon sun, beholding the yurt which had recently been relocated to find a dry patch of earth. Within the arctic were a number of desert regions where the ice receded, giving way to sands and barren land. Many nomadic tribes made their way around the region depending upon the weather and the migration of the herds of buffalo yaks that grazed on the hearty and rugged winter wheat that grew up through ice and sands. Such grains would keep everyone fed and plump for every winter.

She soon stepped inside of the yurt to see the children politely preparing themselves for dinner the way they had been regimented from a young age. They ran some water and a brush through their hair, having it gently braided on both sides. As soon as their hair had been removed from their face, they also washed their faces, rinsing their hands before doing so. They hung up their parkas neatly where they had been directed, and they sat by the fire together. Their mother sat with them together and the two of them snuggled against her. Their mother brought a bowl of spiced, savory tea which had been salted for flavor. She placed before them two small teacups, and they were poured water. Their mother directed them to drink it, lest they become dehydrated by the cold weather.

After everyone had their water, she poured each of them tea, both with milk and a touch of butter.

"Thank you mother," the two of them said in unison, before gently sipping their tea as they sat and watched the fire. The three of them rested in silence. This was their routine, and eventually they finished their tea, and they napped, laying upon their mother's legs while she simply stared at them, feeling the heat of the fire, fixated lovingly upon them as they rested.

"O benevolent one; I plead that you pray over my dear children; my sweet rivers. Send them a sweet wife for my son, and a loving husband for my daughter, and let their hearts be set on love for their tribe and their family," she prayed in a whisper, turning her eyes to the top of the hearth where there hung a tapestry of a feminine figure adorned in white, whose hair had been drawn ornamentally. She sat upon the crescent moon, with her arm outstretched downward toward the earth. The sea itself rose to reach out to her out of its own profound adoration for her, and this created the tides. The tapestry had been long passed down within her family since it had been created after the instance of the siege of the North near the conclusion of the hundred years' war, to bring solace to the heart of chief Arnook, who had lost his daughter in the fighting. The legend told the story of how she became the moon, dutifully offering her life for the sake of her people. Some believed this, others she knew didn't. She began to nod, and soon snapped into occasional microsleeps. After snapping out of one, she placed the heads of her children onto pillows and covered them with a thick fur blanket underneath which they snuggled each other warmly.

Malina made her way over to the pot to check on the stew, which had slowly been brewing above the stove. She checked to make sure the fuel was running properly. Since the tribe had begun shipment of natural gas from the earth kingdom, heating was easier to come by. Yurts were insulated and consolidated. She remembered the days of having to burn sheets of straw and feces of cattle, as there were no woods or coal mines to burn things from. She remembered how cold the winters were as a child, snuggling closely with her family to conserve heat beside the stove. They were simple times, and poverty taught her great humility and peace, but living with the chief of the Northern Water Tribe had allowed her newfound access to things that she had nothing less than appreciation for. She had heart for the poor and those living in the conditions in which she had once endured and sought to help her neighbors in any way she could, often to her own detriment. Her village was a long way from the capitol, and it was very small, and remote, the members often taking up the village itself to relocate wherever the livestock decided to move. Certain parts of the icy tundra were home to grasses that would peek out from the ground for miles, even despite the miserable cold. There were two doors to the yurt, one after the other, and this airlock allowed for the interior portion of the yurt to stay warm easily, even as people would move in and out from the center. The outer door opened, she heard, and as soon as it closed behind him, she opened the inner door, smiling at her husband and kissing him as soon as he arrived. His face appeared long and exhausted, but he was clearly happy to be home.

"Welcome home dearest," she said to him softly, sweetly taking his arm and leading him over to a portion of the yurt, covered in a thick and soft blanket for him to lay upon. He smiled at her service to him and kissed her as she lay next to him, "How was your day?" she asked.

"Oh, it was just any other day I'm afraid," he began, "Where are the little ones?" he asked.

"We were sitting by the fire with tea, and they fell asleep. They're still over there," she said to him. He stood to walk over to where they laid with his beloved wife, and knelt next to them, smiling in adoration. He placed a hand on Eska's face and stroked her hair, which had noticeably been getting thicker as of recent. Malina knelt next to him, holding his hand.

"We make such beautiful children," he said to her. She kissed him on the side of his face out of agreement.

Mako awoke, his vision impeded and awkward. Everything in the room looked so flat and contorted. He was pressed back down onto the table, being suddenly made nauseous due to vertigo.

"Lay down dear," Katara assured him. Ursa had joined them and the image of the ceiling and the light within it contorted again, as if it were breathing. Mako groaned.

"Take it easy, you need to rest," Ursa said to him.

"Ursa?" he inquired.

"You've been out for a few hours. Your eye has been removed and your body needs time to adjust to the shock. Don't move too much," Katara told him.

"Okay," he grunted, taking a deep breath. He raised his hand to his eye socket slowly, but a hand took hold of his wrist before he could reach it.

"Don't" Ursa said to him. He put his hand back down and sighed. She placed the patch over the bandage that had been wrapped around his eye socket after the removal. He rested for a moment, sighing. Katara held his other hand.

"I won't lie and try to tell you that I know what you're enduring at the moment, or that I know how it feels, but we are here to help you Mako," Katara said to him.

"Thank you, both of you," he said to them. He returned to his rest and fell into a deep sleep. He woke again, terrified to find himself in a different place. He was back at the fire nation palace once more, and as he sprung awake, Tsuki, Ursa, and Zuko all ran to meet him. He closed his eye again, as it still sickened him with its contortion.

"Take deep, slow, breaths son," Zuko spoke, "It will help with the vertigo." Mako fell back into his bed, dizzied and disoriented.

"Hold on, son, let's get you some water before you try to go back to sleep," Zuko said, sprinkling salt and sugar into a pitcher. He lifted Mako's head lightly from the pillow. He had broken into a cold sweat, and his skin began to weep. Zuko aided Mako in drinking from the pitcher. After he had finished, Mako's head flopped back down.

"Tsuki, would you hand me the rags over there," he said. Tsuki fetched the rags, placed within a pail of cool water, freshly pumped. Zuko wrung out the rag that dripped back into the pail and folded it, placing it atop Mako's forehead. Mako took deep breaths, running a fever.

"Spirits," Zuko said beneath his breath, "Ursa, dear, would you give us the room please?" he asked her. She and Tsuki bowed at the request and left promptly. Tsuki walked the princess over to her room.

"You have been running quite a fever," Zuko remarked.

"Why?" Mako asked.

"It appears that you are fighting something. I don't believe this to be an ordinary illness Mako," he remarked somberly.

"What do you mean?"

"When I was in Ba Sing Se, I was under the mentorship of my dear uncle, and he had made ground, counselling me away from my ambition to capture the avatar," he began, "I did something that let the avatar slip away." The tone of his voice changed, and the silence felt heavy.

"The course of my life changed from that moment on, and my destiny became something new, but the transition… was less than anything pleasant," he said, suddenly breaking into a series of hacks, and coughs.

"I haven't done anything," Mako said, dizzily.

"Your life has been dramatically altered regardless of your decisions," he said. He threw the blanket off Mako to find the sheets had been covered in sweat.

"For now, I will fetch you a thinner sheet. I want for you to rest."

"What about Ursa?" he asked.

"She will be here, and I will be here too," he began, and he paused for a solid moment, "You shouldn't be worried about her right now." There was a profound silence in the room as Zuko left. Mako's hair had been let down and it draped over his neck. He shivered, but he was burning up. Zuko returned, covering him with a white sheet and removing his comforter.

"It's my job to be worried about her," he said to himself, staring up to the ceiling. The silence was painful, and his eye and head began to throb. It had felt that his skull was parting itself to expose the interior contents of his mind. He groaned aloud, but Zuko had left the room. After a few minutes of solitude, Ursa entered, drawing one of the chairs over beside where he lay. She felt his forehead.

"Spirits," she said, "You're burning up!"

"Yeah," he said to her, "I figured."

"How are you feeling?" she asked him.

"Sick, I guess," he told her. She laughed aloud at the remark.

"I'll be here with you," she assured him, taking his hand.

"Thank you, Ursa." He sunk into his pillow, and soon enough, he fell asleep again, but he was restless. Although he slept, his body was restless, and he tossed and turned. His dreams were chaotic, collages of memories and things lost or left behind. He recognized so many images of things he had never seen before, until the moment that he stood before the moon in the night sky. His body was ethereal, spectral. He calmed himself for a moment, and as he looked back up to the sight of the moon, he witnessed faceless, serpentine protrusions stretch out from behind it.

The lengthy shadows encompassed him, stopping for a moment to turn their heads. They neared him slowly, to observe the core of his figure. It appeared in the form of the flickering of a candle's flame. The serpents pulled away and toyed with each other in conversation, before rounding themselves and turning to him, spitting fire at him. He was paralyzed, unable to move. Even as his soul burned he was shackled in place, though struggling. His body groaned and struggled as Tsuki and Zuko held him in place upon the bed. Ursa stood back and simply watched in shock.

"What-what what is happening?!" she raised with a slight panic in her voice.

"Everything's fine Ursa, I promise. We just have to make sure that he doesn't roll off the bed!" Mako eventually calmed down, and within his mind, a soothing voice rang out.

"Do not despair," it assured him, blanketing him with peace and solace. He trembled, shivering in the light of the moon. The moon was alive, so he perceived. He looked up into the night sky, and observed it, as if it were a person, glowing in the sky, watching over those beneath it. He breathed heavily, and eventually rested, feeling his hand be encompassed by two, as if the moon had reached down to him from her majesty's place in the firmament. He felt another hand, placing a rag upon his forehead, and he half-woke, unable to register his environment. He looked around, believing it all to be a dream, before shutting his eyes again to witness a face staring back at him.

He sat up in shock, screaming out of his rest, still heavily breathing. It was late at night, and Ursa, who was once asleep, fallen so while reading a book that fell into her lap, jumped, and yelped for a moment, before running over to him. He was drenched.

She placed her hand on his forehead, "Your fever has receded," she said quietly, retrieving a pitcher for him. He took the pitcher immediately and attempted to throw it back before she reached forward to it, moderating his intake. He drank plentifully, but gradually. She took the pitcher from him and set it off to the side.

"Are you feeling alright?" she asked him. He stared at the ceiling for a bit, waving his hand in front of his face. He looked over to see that His patch had been placed over on the nightstand.

"Yeah," he said, still in a bit of a daze, "I feel better."

"Good," she began, "We've been so worried about you."

"How long was I out?"

"You've been out since the afternoon of the day before yesterday. Currently it is approximately seven before midday; the sun will rise soon," she said to him. He sat up for a moment, pulling himself out of his own sweat.

"I'm not sure if that's such a good idea," she remarked, trying to coax him back down.

"I'm fine, really," he said, sitting over the side of his bed. His shirt had been removed as had his shoes.

"Just, take it easy, for now at least," she said, sitting back in her chair, but she rose again to help him as he stood. He planted his steps, one foot in front of the other, and found that the vertigo had receded. His headache was no longer tormenting him. He walked over to a bowl of water and dampened a rag to rinse his face for a moment. He looked at himself in the mirror, with his hand covering his eye, and he slowly dropped his hand away from his face. The tissue around his eye socket was sore, but no longer blackened as it had been before. He looked down at the ground for a moment with a smile of relief.

"Are you… Okay?" she asked him.

"Yeah, it just… looks different is all."

Mako bathed and dressed himself again, and he stood in front of the mirror within his room in the morning sunlight. His face was somber and solemn, and he took a deep breath. Ursa had since left to her own room to do the same. There would be a meeting that day to discuss matters of security and how Mako would fare as a bodyguard. He looked back at his reflection, and donned the eye patch, fitting it precisely over the socket. His hair had been neatly swept and prepared, and he patted himself with a fragrance of teak and pine. He opened both doors and stepped into the hallway, awaiting Ursa's own arrival. She would soon emerge, having bathed, and refreshed herself. Her hair was still damp but had been completely and perfectly drawn into her own top-knot figure, embellished with an ornament unique to her as the fire nation princess.

"You look better," she said to him, smiling radiantly. He offered his arm and escorted her to the breakfast. Immediately thereafter the breakfast, the two of them proceeded together to the throne room.

"I still haven't seen what this room is like on the inside."

"It hasn't changed since the renovations during Azulon's reign."

"That was Zuko's grandfather, right?"

"Good, you're getting better at this," she remarked with delight, "I'm glad that your appetite is back up. It had been at least three days since you had eaten." They continued down the hall, the ceiling rising as they entered the more important parts of the palace

"Speaking of which; I've been wanting to thank you for looking after me these last few days," he said to her.

"I am happy to. You can be tough to look out for sometimes," she said, turning to him, "You are stoically independent."

"I try to be."

"There is nothing wrong with that, but we appreciate all that you do here, and we hope that we can keep you here," she said to him. She held a concerned look on her face.

"Is everything alright, princess?" He stopped their stroll through the corridors of the palace.

"Something has come up with the security detail… I fear for the security of your position., and I'm hoping we still get to keep you around. You have been very good for us, and I would hate to see you have to go," she said.

"I'm sure that whatever happens we will be able to figure something out," he assured her. He drew open the door to the throne room, escorting her inside, and shutting the door behind him.

"Let us begin the meeting," announced Lord Zuko, followed by a nasty cough.

"There has been speculation regarding the matter of the outsourcing of employment of the imperial guards and bodyguards, and this matter will be addressed first and foremost," began Izumi, "I will put the rumors to rest… as due to things having calmed down regarding assassination attempts and gang warfare since the incident at the ball, it has been decided that in six weeks' time, a Platoon of Yu Yen soldiers will be brought to supplement fifty percent of the imperial guard, while the other half will be deployed to an undisclosed military installation for training and reappropriation of skills. This also means that private contractors and mercenary employees will be terminated in two weeks' time." Ursa sighed with disdain at the remark and there were murmurs heard throughout the court.

"It will be alright. I found work once, and I will find it again," he attempted to assure her, but he stood immediately and excused herself. Izumi shot Mako a look of concern, and Mako stood to follow her out of the courtroom. The door closed behind him, and he looked around to find where she went. She was nowhere in sight, and he had a hunch.

The door silently closed behind him. The room was dimly lit with midmorning sun through the skylight in the ceiling. He quietly made way down to the lower levels, and looked around, eventually finding her sat alone in the corner, with her head down in her arms. This was the section allotted to Cultural Epics. This was her favorite section.

"Would you mind if I sat down?" he asked quietly. She shook her head as it hung with her knees drawn into her. He sat beside her, placing a hand on her back between her shoulder blades, gently stroking with the pad of his thumb, and they sat in silence for a fair portion of time, and eventually she lifted her head, her eyes reddened and face moistened. She sniffled and took a few deep breaths.

"… Before you came here, to be with us," she began in a deep tone, "I wasn't anything. I didn't do anything, I didn't talk to anybody, and I never went outside. As a little girl I had always wanted to see outside of these walls and get to meet new people… maybe even see a boy I would come to love," she said, her voice breaking. She nervously continued, "When you came… I found all these things, and I do-don't know what I would do with-with-without you here… I can't go back to being what I was be-before….

She raised her head, looking off into the corner of the bookshelf, "I can't live a life, suffocating in the shadow of my family and my mother… In my own shadow," she muttered. Her chin trembled as she spoke, and her voice trailed off near the end.

"You won't go back to being that… I know it," he said to her.

"But you don't really," she protested. He looked over to her in her state of despair, taking her hand. His face shared her dejectedness at him having to leave. He shut his eyes and sighed for a moment.

"This is your life, Ursa. It's only yours, and nobody, no matter how powerful or influential, can take that from you," he assured her, softly and calmly, "I know you don't want to live like that," he said. There was silence for a moment.

"I'm going to miss you so badly," she said to him. He wrapped his arm around her, and she leaned over to him.

"I'll miss you too. I'll have to write on occasion," he told her. She nodded in agreement and sat with him for a while. She eventually fell asleep that way, and she dropped something she had within her hands. He reached over to pick up what she had dropped, finding a small, red handkerchief that she had used to dry her tears, laced with her name in the corner. He folded it, placing it in the pocket of his shirt.

He picked her up and carried her. She was short, and very delicately framed, so he didn't have any trouble with taking her up the steps and into the hallway. The corridors were empty and silent. He returned her to the room where the guards opened the door for him. He stepped in and though it was almost midday, he placed her upon her bed and raised the sheets over her. She rolled over, facing him, and as he stood, she grabbed his hand.

"Is everything alright?" he asked. She paused a moment.

"Will you stay with me?" she asked him. Her eyes were still red and glistening from her just minutes prior, he blushed for a moment before looking around and speaking.

"Am I even all-"

"You are if I permit you so," she interjected.

"Okay," he said to her. He sat on the bed, lying next to her after neatly setting his shoes to the side. She slowly snuggled up to him, folding her lenses and setting them on the nightstand. She trembled a bit, Mako noticed.

"Are you cold?" he asked.

"Just a little bit," she said, "I think it's mostly because…" she paused for a moment, adjusting on the bed, and softening her voice.

" I've-I've never been so close to-to-to a boy before," she said softly. She sighed as she finished speaking then, and she soon fell asleep. She snored very softly, which Mako found adorable to listen to. Despite his stated desire to keep things professional, he adored her. He let out a deep sigh at the thought of having to leave. She rested peacefully, occasionally twitching. Mako resolved to leave eventually, but as he looked back down to where her head laid, he put leaving off for until she woke from her rest.

Mako walked down the corridor, noting that in his mindless wandering, he had strayed into the gallery of lords and ladies. Noblemen, firelords, past avatars, fire ladies, and the likes had all been portrayed in largely rendered paintings. He stopped his reverent procession to observe one lady who caught his eye. She was beautiful to look at, narrow eyed, with very dark hair. Her hands wielded a sword of medium length, curved, and painted across her body.

"This was my darling Mai," Zuko said. Mako paused.

"Katara told me some stories about her," he responded.

"The two of them had run-ins of their own in the time near the end of the hundred-years-war."

"They fought against each other?"

"Oh yes. Mai was brought with her Friend Ty Li by my sister to capture the avatar as well as put me and my uncle in a prison."

"Sounds like a long story."

"It was quite a fascinating tale… I'm saddened that I won't be able to tell you all of it."

"I'll find something out there; I always have." As they faced the painting, Zuko looked over to Mako. Mako stood with his hands behind his back, looking up to observe the painting of Ursa's grandmother. Mako concealed his tattoo within the palace out of reverence, only drawing back his sleeve to present it when in public.

"You remind me an awful lot of myself when I was your age."

"That's flattering I'll admit," he smirked, "It's not the eye is it?" Zuko laughed, coughing briefly.

"Well, I suppose that… but you are an awfully persistent man. I remember having captured the avatar at the north pole, holding him captive, and unconscious in a cave to wait out a storm," he began looking back to the painting, "I told him of how he reminded me of my sister, and how she was born lucky, everything my father wanted and more, and how I was the one lucky to be born… I had always struggled in every part of my life up to that point and even beyond. I told the avatar that I didn't need luck, and that I had to fight for everything that I had, and that made me strong… it made me who I am…" The two continued to stare up at the painting.

"You remind me of me in that way, Mako." Mako was silent for a fair portion of time, lightly nodding in acknowledgement of what had been said.

"I attempted to convince lord Izumi to make an exception regarding your employment, at least for Ursa's sake, but she claimed that it wouldn't reflect fairness to the other contractors and servants."

"She sounds right," Mako responded.

"I'm certain she is, but that doesn't make it any more pleasant to hear, unfortunately," he wheezed for a moment, coughing up something to clear his throat.

"Are you sure you're alright, Lord Zuko?"

"I've been a bit under the weather as of recent. It's just the spring humidity that is causing me grief. It always has," he said, wiping his mouth, "I have something that I want for you to experience, and a letter actually."

"A letter, from whom?" he asked. Zuko handed him a scroll.

"It's not a letter from home, but in recent times, there have been a number of uprisings in the Northern Water Tribe, and that has resulted in the necessity for increased security measures," Zuko continued as Mako read the scroll for a moment, "I sent them word of your soon-to-be free-agency, and they, in return, have expressed the desire for your employment to look after the royal family," he told Mako. Mako took the letter, reading through the details and feeling a sense of relief.

"This is amazing! Thank you so much," Mako said, bowing to lord Zuko.

"That is not the end of what I have to offer you," Zuko raised. Mako looked up to him, "Tomorrow morning, you and I will be headed on a field trip," he said.

"Where to?" Mako inquired.

"We are going to the ruins of the sun warrior civilization," Zuko said, raising his hand to be placed upon the rendition of his beloved Mai, "… there is something that I want for you to experience there…"

Mako sips a cup of jasmine, pondering all of that which he had witnessed over the last week. He had spent a lot of time thinking, reading alongside Ursa in the library, and beneath the trees of the courtyard where the turtle ducks would surround them and nudge them for food. The ship would be arriving later today, and he had promised to take Ursa to dinner before he left late that night. He intended to treat her quite nicely. The field trip that he took with Zuko was and extraordinary one, as he had never ridden anything along the lines of a dragon at any point in his life except for a sky bison. He hadn't found the peace, or the drive, or the sudden burst of enlightenment that Zuko claimed he would have, and this frustrated him to think about. Zuko himself was at a loss for any words or counsel on the matter.

"Have you been alright this last week? I understand that things did not go as expected… regarding the trip," Zuko spoke, placing the cup of his tea down upon a plate at the table.

"It's been very confusing to think about, I don't know what it means or what they wanted, or if they were trying to tell me that I'm not worth their time…" he remarked. He stared at the specks of leaf that stirred at the bottom of the cup.

"I don't know son, this is beyond my own power to understand I'm afraid, even as much as I have come to associate myself with the people living there," he said. Mako paused, setting his cup on the table in front of him, "I'm sorry."

"I don't need for them to tell me what I'm worth, I've learned that over my life, and I've had to learn it on my own," Mako said solemnly and softly. Zuko nodded looking up to Mako where he sat.

"Perhaps it may be that what they have attempted to communicate has yet to be revealed?" Zuko proposed. Mako looked out over the courtyard where Ursa sat next to her mother. They talked personally, which is something they had not done in quite some time. Ursa leaned over with her head in her mother's lap as Izumi stroked her hair lovingly.

"Perhaps," Mako responded, still staring out to the two.

"I hear that you are to take Ursa out for a date this evening?" he changed the subject. Mako raised his head, perking up at the idea.

"That's the idea," Mako said, enjoying the new direction with a clear upturn in his tone.

"Any idea of where to?" Zuko asked.

"Oh, it's just be a small place just near the periphery. It's nothing big or anything, but the food is really good. They make everything on site."

"That is a quality of service that I fear losing with the future," Zuko responded.

"The family that owns the place, has been running it since Sozin himself was firelord," Mako remarked to Zuko's awe.

"How on earth has a restaurant like that in my own city flown so long beneath my view?"

"It always seems like the firelord always has something more important to do," Mako remarked, looking back over to Izumi and Ursa. Zuko set down his tea, noting his glances. He paused a moment looking back and sipping to finish his tea.

"I have feared how the busyness of her mother has affected her over time. My mother's own absence upon her banishment left a hole in our family that nothing could ever fill. We always expected so much of her growing up, and she kept up so well, but eventually, she became so occupied with the things around her… that we wouldn't see her anymore."

Mako nodded lightly, running through memories of his own mother and how her absence had affected the two of them. Zuko witnessed his melancholy, extending a hand to place on his shoulder.

"I don't know what to say to help any of this make sense. It is my understanding that you lost your parents from a young age, and it has always seemed that the more I speak in moments like these, the more foolish I sound," he said, "But we want you to know that we welcome you here as a member of our court, and our family. I wish I knew how to be for you what my uncle was for me, as though I have tried to match him in wisdom and love through the course of my life, I am afraid that even now I have yet to be so good to those around me," Zuko said to him.

"I know that soon enough, I will join him in the immaterial world beyond, and I selfishly hope that you could get to speak with him yourself in your own spiritual endeavors eventually." The moment then was silent. Mako stood, bowing before Lord Zuko.

"Thank you, Lord Zuko."

"Thank you, Mako," he said in return, standing to meet him, "You have done me and my family a great service." Zuko hugged Mako during the parlor for a moment, and the two soon parted ways.

Mako approached the boat, to prepare his room and to deposit any of his personal belongings within his room. He would do this beforehand of meeting with Ursa one last time, who would see to sending him off that night. However, before he would leave the boat, he was to meet with his employer, a water tribe official specifically. He had no knowledge of who he was meeting except that he was to meet them at a given time in the promenade of the ship. As he approached the boat itself, he was astounded by its massive size. It reminded him of one of the ships that Varrick had built so long ago, but this ship was more extravagant in its detailing, conveying a clear image of royalty. He boarded and made his way under the deck where an attendant escorted him to the room in which he would stay. The room itself was small, and included a bathroom, but it was cozy, and quiet. The ship could scarcely be felt bobbing within the waters. He set his personal belongings down and tidied up his outfit, taking a moment to observe himself in the mirror. His hair had been trimmed but was still long. He held a thoughtful look, before tying up his hair into a clean topknot. He smiled to his reflection and stepped out onto the deck.

He made his way through the extravagance of the interior to the promenade, where he sat at a table that had been reserved for the purpose of the meeting. It felt like a relatively casual open-roof dining area that reminded him of nice restaurants in Ba Sing Se. He shut his eyes and crossed his arms for a moment, taking deep breaths to relax. He massaged his forehead once more, trying to break whatever tension he could from his perpetual scowl.

"Greetings," remarked a quaint voice before him, his eyes opened and he rose, and his eyes observed the speaker in a moment of a bit of awe.

"Eska?" he raised.

"It is quite an… intriguing turn of events to find you here," she remarked, "Please, be seated." Mako seated himself back into his chair reluctantly, and she ordered the servants to fetch water. The two were silent for a moment, as a lot of talk pushed up from beneath the surface.

"How is Korra?" she inquired.

"Oh… I'm… not entirely sure. It's been six months since I've seen her," he scratched his head awkwardly.

"I see, is Bolin faring well?"

"I think so. I want to say that he's still on the force in Republic City, but things have been kind of breaking down there," he said.

"I have heard such unfortunate news regarding such matters." The moment was silent, and soon the servants returned with water and tea.

"Spearmint, chamomile, and valerian," she remarked aloud, "This particular brew is one of my favorites," she said, sipping gracefully. Mako sipped some of his own before turning his attention back to her. He wore a thoughtful look for a moment.

"What are you pondering?" she inquires, still sipping.

"Where is Desna? I mean, aren't you two always… around each other?" he asked awkwardly. She tilts her head and rolls her eyes to the side, setting her tea down.

"The Administrative council of the Northern Water Tribe has decided that it would be best if we develop our own personal existences, as it would greater benefit the tribe if we could function executively on our own," she said, "Speaking of which, I must express that therefore the council has recruited you."

"What do you mean?"

She rolls her eyes again, "The council, in the process of coming to these conclusions, tested us in our aptitude toward combat, and as they found, the two of us, though highly effective and efficient in tandem with one another…" she remarked painfully, and let out a sigh, "I am not as effective on an individual basis," she said disdainfully.

"Thus, you will be accompanying me throughout my endeavors furthermore, and Desna will have his own arrangements." There was a moment of silence before Mako nodded.

"Okay, that certainly… sounds okay."

Eska stood from her chair, having finished a small cup of her tea, "I suppose so," she remarked.

"Are you okay with this?" he asked.

"I am as long as it keeps the council at bay," she said to him her glance moving off to the side, "I have some further work to attend to in my cabin, I ask that you not disturb me," she said to him, in her trademark, monotonous key.

"Understood," he nodded to her.

"We will leave at sunset, which should give you approximately four hours to effectively bid all of your colleagues farewell," she said. She glided across the deck away from him, skating around the corner as if she wasn't even touching the ground beneath her. Mako let out some of the humidity from his shirt collar, shaking his head for a moment.

"That will take some getting used to," he mumbled to himself, careful to not be within earshot of her.

He knocked on her door gently, having prepared himself with neatly treated hair. He had bathed earlier that day and refreshed with fragrances and lotions. He held a trio of fire lilies, her favorite, sourced from the meadows just beyond the periphery. He took another deep breath before the door opened softly. She peaked through. He was astounded to find her beautifully adorned and prepared. She stepped out, having donned a gown of a gentle flair. Her hair had been adorned with the ornament, and her ears even, had been pierced and decorated with jewelry that dangled from her ear lobes. Her lenses had been polished, and her face had been very carefully prepared. Tsuki peaked out from the room from behind her and smiled at Mako, waving lightly. He couldn't help but smile very warmly, the two of them blushing as they saw one another. She took up a handbag over her shoulder, and she closed the door behind her. The guards had arranged to give them the moment together, thus they were not present in their usual places on either side of the door.

"You… look amazing, Ursa."

She looked up at him, "thank you," she remarked. He paused for a moment, catching himself staring. She wore lipstick and gloss of a beautiful red shade.

"Oh… uh," he broke, "Here, I made sure they were clean," he said, handing her the small bouquet.

"Oh, my these are lovely," she said with a gentle smile, "Would you mind if I excuse myself to place these in a vase?" she inquired.

"Absolutely, I've got plenty of time," he said. The two of them would have four hours together to spend for the evening. She placed them within, receiving a few complements from the ladies within the room, who kissed her and sent her off with good wishes. She exited the room once more, and he offered his arm, which she delicately took.

The place at which they arrived was quiet on these days. Mako had planned thoroughly ahead, with further backup plans in mind if something of the evening did not work the way that it should have. He wanted to treat her nicely in this evening. The server approached them, guiding them to a booth, and between them on a small, intimate table setting resided three candles, flickering. It was cool out in the evening, though still nicely humid. It was relieving to feel such temperature after the long, hot days that were common to the region at this time of year. The air smelled of the blossoming trees, now having released pollen, and some bearing fruit that hung over the streets. It took a few months before Mako was able to find himself used to the pollen here, as he wasn't used to being in such a vibrantly, vivacious environment.

He pulled a chair lightly for her to sit upon, and she thanked him, placing her bag over her chair as he reset the position of the chair. The two of them ordered lightly, and were served small cups of a strange, spiced, and citrusy fruit juice to begin with several entrees. The two nibbled lightly of prepared rice with small portions of crab, ginger root, seaweed, lobster, and salmon, all served raw, but with such delicious taste. They sipped at the juice, supplementing with water.

"What?... what is this exactly?" she inquired.

"I am not entirely sure honestly; it tastes familiar." He flagged down a member of one of the wait staff.

"Excuse me, what is this juice here?" he asked as he gestured toward their small, empty cups. The waitress wore a strange, wide-eyed look for a moment in a bit of awe.

"Umm… That was juice, spiced and imported from the Misty Palms Oasis," she began.

"It tastes so… oddly familiar."

"Oh… well," the waitress paused looking around nervously.

"Oh… no…" he said, putting on a stoic look, "I see… thank you very much," he said calmly.

"What is it?" Ursa asked.

"This I believe is juice from the Si Wong cactus, and is a delicacy to the region," he said.

"Sounds classy," she remarked sipping the rest of it at once with a smirk; she noticed his shock at the gesture, "Is there something wrong?" she asked.

"Well… the last time Bolin and I got into this as kids… We sort of learned that after a few units of this you kind of start to get a bit…" There was a remarkable pause as Mako tried to find the words. She tilted her head in confusion, looking into the cup.

"Intoxicated? I didn't taste or smell any alcohol," she remarked.

He looked around a moment or two, "The juice can have hallucinogenic and euphoria-inducing effects," he said with a low voice.

"… Oh… oh dear. Am I going to be?" she said taken aback, out of a bit of anxiety.

"You and I will be fine, and the effects should be minimal as they tend to water stuff like this down, but you should experience a bit of… euphoria, and usually the effects wear off in one or two hours, but time tends to stretch out when you get some of this in your system," he said to her.

"Oh… well that doesn't sound too awful," she said smiling gently, "I'd love to spend as much time with you as I can." The two gawked at one another for a few moments. Gazing at their appearances as the warmth and euphoria set in. She placed her elbows on the table, clasping her hands together with her chin on top of them.

"Have I ever told you how handsome I have always thought you were?" she inquired.

"You've talked about it once or twice," he grinned.

"Really?" she giggled.

"Well, you might have been a little under the influence at the time," he sneered.

"Oh, I can't believe you've put up with me like that for so long," she laughed, rolling her eyes

"You're very easy to be around," he remarked, "and it's funny to watch you stumble around." She laughed aloud at the remark.

"I'm so glad you've humored me this long… I wish I could just keep you here… with me," she said, her voice trailing off and her smile fading into a neutral expression.

"I wish I could stay here," he said, "I'm going to miss this place."

"Do you want to hear a secret?" she inquired quirkily.

He wanted to humor her this evening, he grinned, "let me hear it."

"When you came here I have to say, I really, really was head-over-heels for you," she said. She had a deep smile on her face, one that characterized her intoxicated moments.

"Oh…" he said, taken aback by the boldness of her remark.

She giggled at his reaction, "I'm serious," she said, "Part of me still is, and It's why I'm so broken up about you leaving," she told him. His expression changed a moment.

"Are you doing okay?" he asked.

"I am, I'm sustaining myself alright, but I know that once you're gone my heart will be broken," she continued to smile through what she was saying, "You know, I could never sleep when you carried me in those days. I was always so… *excited*" she whispered, giggling at the remark, "My, I can't even believe I'm telling you all of this; I guess I'm just a bit anxious to get everything out in the open now that you're leaving," she said. Mako became visibly nervous as she dragged the tip of her shoe gracefully up his ankle.

"I have other princess secrets to share with you," she said in a sultry voice, as Mako looks around. There was nobody else in the parlor at the time.

"Uhh, are you sure you… want me to know, everything?" he asked timidly.

"Oh, there's no one else here but us," she said looking deeply at him, "And for you I wouldn't mind, baring all," she said. As she spoke, her voice trailed down do a whisper and with a delicate hand she slowly, and sensually unfastened two buttons at her collar, plunging her neckline very low. Mako adjusted in his chair.

"Should I… take you home?" he asked.

"Well," she smirked, "You already have bought me dinner haven't you?"

"Ursa…" he said, with a lowered tone, "Are you going to be okay?" he asked in a tone of seriousness, and with this, her smile and demeanor drastically, slowly dropped. She was silent, with a dead stare for miles, and her posture slumped exhaustedly. She looked over at him with glistening eyes, and tears soon dropped from her face.

"Don't leave me… please… I'll give you anything," she said, her voice broken. His gaze lowered to the floor, and his eyes closed.

"… I'm so sorry, Ursa," he said to her softly. There was an awful silence about the two of them.

"Please,-I-can-find-you-other-work, I-can-find-you-a-place-to-stay,-I can-" she paused, her voice breaking, unable to continue. Mako held a downtrodden, but stoic look, hearing her desperate pleas for him.

"Just… stay with m-me please… I need you so ba-badly…" she began to cry… The waitress was on approach at the time, but slowly backpedaled away as soon as she read the gravity of the situation. Mako was silent, taking deep breaths to try and control his own emotions. He had nothing he could say.

"I'm so sorry," she said as she stood and ran off…

"Ursa…" he said aloud as he rose, rising with her. The waitress placed a hand on his shoulder. He turned; his own eyes moistened a bit.

"Hey, I know it's not my business…" she said, "But you're going to want to give her a few minutes," she said quietly. Mako looked back to where she had run off.

"Let me pay you," he said, turning back. The waitress put up a hand, "Don't worry about it, just follow her and make sure she's okay."

Mako turned back to the waitress, thanked her heartily, and followed the princess. He caught up, spying her on a park bench, her hands placed over her eyes as she leaned over herself. The tears fell plentifully down to the grasses below her. He stood in the distance, counting at least five minutes, before crossing the road to her, very gently placing a hand to her back so to not startle her. He couldn't leave her; it was his job to ensure that she made it home safe.

"Can I take you home?" he asked. There wasn't an answer or response of any kind. The sun was soon to set, and and hour and a half in, the effects of the juice had worn off, leaving them both feeling exhausted and empty. He sat beside her, looking at his watch to keep track. The boat would leave in an hour and a half, whether he was on it or not. He sat with her for half an hour, and she didn't move an inch. Some people walked by on occasion, including a posse of Ketsueki, eying his tattoo, but wincing silently as the inferred what was going on. It was forty-five minutes until he had to leave.

"Come to the harbor with me," he told her. She slowly rose from being leaned over. Her makeup had fallen away in streaks down her neck and her face, and her lenses had dripped. He took them from her face, polishing them with the handkerchief that he kept in his shirt pocket, placing them back onto her face. He offered his arm, and she took it. She sniffled as they walked, eventually reaching the harbor.

Only the tip of the sun showed, and it was fifteen minutes prior to departure. The Marina had been lit with lanterns which reflected off the calm waters. It was a gorgeous, but poignant sight. One of the guards, the one Mako spoke to, sat on a bench along the boardwalk, prepared to escort the princess home after Mako had left. Mako had arranged this, shaking his hand, and wrapping an arm around him.

"Thanks for doing this man, look after her for me, please," Mako said to him.

"Anytime man, you take care of yourself," the guard responded. She and Mako walked up out to the boarding plank, and it was five minutes to departure. He looked at her, eyes glistening and large in the light of the full moon that night, accompanied by plentiful lanterns which illuminated the area. He was quiet.

"I will write you, I promise," he told her quietly, there was a long pause before he spoke again, "Promise me you'll live your life the way that you want to," he urged her. She looked down from his eyes for a moment, closing her own, "Promise me, Ursa," he said raising his hand to her face. She lightly nodded through tears.

"Okay," she said with a broken voice, looking back up to him and sniffling. Bells rang out across the ship and signaled departure. He held her for a long moment, and she returned, holding him tightly to never let him go, but she did… He turned away, and there was silence, but he felt his wrist suddenly clamped, and yanked backwards as she wrapped her arms around his neck and face and kissed him forcefully. He returned the kiss with heart, taking some of her lipstick with him. She had licked his lips lightly, wanting to know what he tasted like again before he left.

"Goodbye… Ursa," he said, slowly turning in both shock and infatuation. He boarded and two sailors turned a crank, drawing the plank upward. The guardsman saw the opening, approaching with his pike in hand, placing his hand gently on her shoulder as she held the handkerchief within her hands, pressed tightly to her chest, sniffling occasionally, and the two of them watched as the ship sailed away from the harbor. Mako boarded the ship.

He did not look back, knowing how well he could swim…

Chapter 3: III: The Risen Moon

Chapter Text

 

 

 

Part III:

At this point, it was a full year since Mako had left the shores of Republic City, but he had not written home at all.

In his mind, it was justified, as he said he would write when he found a place to settle, but unfortunately, security eluded him wherever he was.

He was on the deck as they sailed into the void of the night. The wind was gentle for the seas, and the weather grew more temperate as they moved away from the equator. He looked up to observe the full moon within the abyss of the sky. The moon was bright, and thus the stars were dimmed, which always pained him. He adored seeing the stars in the night sky and the haze of the galaxy as it spanned the vastness of the firmament. It always reminded him of the glory and the beauty of the universe. It was all nature in his eyes, but this time all he saw was the spoiling presence of the moon which glowed obnoxiously in the sky, the light coming from it giving him a headache. This spoiled his mood; he wanted to be alone…

He sat there for most of the night thinking, feeling bad, and doing more thinking… and feeling bad, but of all his thoughts, he thought most of Ursa.

He sat in a chair on the foremost deck and sighed.

"May I join you?" inquired a voice which jumpingly startled him. He nodded, and she sat. She tilted her head for a moment and observed him with a neutral facial expression.

"You appear most dejected," she stated matter-of-factly, "May I ask what ails you?"

"Oh, just some personal stuff…" he said, removing his eye patch to allow for him to massage the tension from his forehead again.

"I've been meaning to ask about your eye, but I haven't wanted to intrude on any personal matters," she stated.

"Oh, yeah… this happened in an accident is all," he said. She paused for a moment observing what little details she could in the light of the moon.

"Why do you lie?" she asked. He recoiled in shock.

"Wha- what do you me-"

"I have lived among lies and deception since I was the child of the chief of the Northern Water Tribe, and I know what they sound like," she remarked plainly. He paused a moment, settling down from his state of awe.

"Okay, fine…" he resigned, frustrated, "Korra punched me in the face," he said.

"… and this caused you to lose your eye why?" she inquired.

"I don't know!" he said throwing up his hands, "She put me in a coma for a few days and I had to be airlifted to see Katara. I woke up just fine, but my eye stayed this way, and eventually I lost my vision and had to get it removed," he said, "satisfied?"

"You are clearly still in a lot of pain regarding this matter," she remarked.

"Why wouldn't I be? I've lost my job, twice, and I've been kicked out of a home, twice! And since then I've just been directionless and without any purpose. I've had to leave behind people I loved!" There was a long pause.

"This sounds like more than just a vision problem, Mako," she said. He put his palm to his face and groaned.

"I'm sorry, I just have so much on my mind and a lot that's been frustrating me," he said, "You didn't need that."

"Whether or not I needed it is irrelevant Mako," she said, standing to meet him. He sighed and took deep breaths, "You needed it, and that is what matters," she told him. He wore a flustered look, but she remained neutral. He opened his mouth to speak, but couldn't find anything.

"You should get some sleep… soon Mako. In one of the cabinets within your cabin you will find a tall bottle of fine wine, and a glass will settle your stomach, and help you to sleep well," she remarked softly approaching him. He was taken aback by her proposal, but he nodded.

"Okay," he said lightly.

"I am going to return to my own cabin to rest for the evening," she said to him, "I bid you a goodnight," she said, turning, and gliding away. The conversation left him floored as he sat in the chair, processing what had just happened.

He eventually stood, returning to the cabin in which he had placed his belongings, as minimal as they were, and he did as she told him, seating himself at a very small table, drawing a half-glass of wine which he popped the top to, and he sipped, dressing himself for the night. Eventually he finished. He propped the glass against the wall with the bottle so a lurch of the ship wouldn't send it flying, and he laid out on the bed, surprisingly soft for the ship beds that he had slept within. There was a slight rocking of the ship which lulled him in mere minutes, and when the wine kicked in, he sank into the bed.

When he awoke he rose, clear minded, and on top of that, his stomach did not feel as sour as it tended to when he usually awoke. He saw a pitcher of water placed atop the small table for him, which he approached, drinking it entirely. He sat down and sighed, continuing the process of waking, and before long he dressed himself and headed back out to the promenade to meet Eska.

She lightly smiled to him, seeing him in the morning sun, "Good morning," she said. He was still rubbing his eyes, continuing the process of waking up.

"Good morning," he said back to her.

"How did the wine treat you?" she inquired.

"Oh, yeah… it definitely did something."

"I had one of my servants place a pitcher of water in your room last night, understanding that the fluctuation in air pressure and climate will likely result in your dehydration."

"Oh, okay," he said, "What's our ETA?" he inquired.

"Approximately five hours," she said to him.

He whistled, "This thing really flies doesn't it?"

"Of course," she remarked, "It was engineered for global navigation, as my father used it on the occasion that he would have to travel to the South Pole and back. The spirit portals, however, have made such navigation substantially easier," she said, being seated at a table, "sit," she said to him. He did so without much thought.

"I am taking the liberty of briefing you of some fundamental information essential for the function of your employment," she said to him, "My rising hours are at six in the morning precisely, and I am asleep by ten in the evening. Desna and I have taken up residence within a residence alternative to that of the palace, as we have gradually come to despise the excessive, impractical extravagance. We would prefer be better within reach of one another, and we find the house in which we live to be quite comfortable," she said to him.

"Will I have a room to myself?" he asked, "Not that I'm demanding one," he added.

"Unfortunately, due to the circumstances, we will have you stay within the chamber of the house. Chief Tonraq and Lady Senna of the of the Southern Water Tribe have currently taken up residence with us, and thus we are at a lack of a guest room now," she said to him.

"What brings them to the Northern Water Tribe?" he asked her.

"Chief Tonraq has taken leave from his position with his wife to aid us in quelling some insurrectionist sects within the Northern Water Tribe, having substantially more experience than we. He has also aided us in acquiring the residence in of itself, and thus we reasonably owed it to him to at least offer him a place to rest his head in the evenings," she said.

"It will be interesting to see them again," he said prompting an inquisitive look on Eska's face.

"What are you planning on telling them regarding your eye?"

"The same thing as I told you at first; I might get away with it."

"Likely not, Tonraq has greater experience than I concerning matters of deception," she said.

"I don't know, I'll figure something out," he said, resigning.

"What you described having happened to you seems remarkably out of character for Korra. Part of me is admittedly concerned," she said.

"I don't know what had gotten into her; I've never seen her go off like that, even at her enemies. She was always pretty calm, but she was way over the edge when she hit me," he said, putting his hands on the railing. They had already begun to fog over.

"You almost sound concerned for her yourself," she said. He sighed and looked to the horizon, with nothing but the seas in between here and there.

"I am concerned…" he said, "I still care about Korra," he said.

"Were you not romantically involved with her the last time that you and I had seen each other?" she asked, tilting her head.

"I was, but things got complicated, and we ended up separating, and she and Asami eventually got together," he said.

"And she would be your other ex-girlfriend?"

"… yeah, yeah, that's the idea…"

"… your confusion and frustration are understandable to some extent," she said to him.

They were soon served breakfast, but Mako was reluctant to eat, claiming a lack of hunger. Eska continued and finished without a word, noting Mako's reluctance. She placed her sticks down and addressed him directly.

"Mako," she prompted. He turned to her.

"Your starvation will not effectively alter your situation," she noted aloud.

"I know, I know, I'm just not entirely hungry at the moment," he responded.

"Hunger is irrelevant and is a neurological response that inaccurately represents our necessity for nutrition and sustenance," she remarked. He responded with a confused look.

"Eat, Mako. You can face the day with a full stomach or without one, but you will face it either way," she remarked stoically. He looked up to her and sat up in his chair, reluctantly partaking. He enjoyed it.

The airs were getting colder, which he felt every time he stepped out onto the deck. The sun eventually dropped low again, and he stood out on the very front of the deck, eying icebergs that they passed slowly, and carefully.

"Aren't you cold?" she asked him from beside. He said nothing, just taking a deep breath, and as he exhaled, the air steamed, and he emanated a warmth she could feel. She observed him closely for a moment or two. His uniform was laced and fastened down the middle, one of the sleeves rolled back on his arm to reveal the tattoo that creatively covered the scars on his arms from lightning. Eska gazed up and down, observing it in the light she had, perceiving the vibrant colors and intricate patterns of design and shading.

That's quite a practical ability I would imagine. I sure hope that you can keep it up," she said, "Does it continue during your rest?" she asked. He nodded, still saying nothing.

"Do you ever wake up with your chi reserves depleted?" she inquired.

"On occasion, but only at the poles," he said.

"I suppose we will have to feed you plentifully then," she said, "You won't be so thin by the time Senna is done with you," she remarked. He grinned.

"Was that snark coming from you?" he inquired. She said nothing, just snickering and shaking her head.

"You seem a bit different from the last time that I've met you," he remarked.

"I would imagine so," she answered, "a lot can change over the course of a few years."

"Personality-wise, you seem a bit… more animated," he said to her.

"I have heard as much from those around me, and I suspect that it is the result of me not being around my brother so often as I was before," she said, "Some of my counselors began to perceive it to be a maladaptive coping technique, and they advised we separate."

"That sounds uncomfortable," he said, shaking his head.

"It has been remarkably so. My brother and I have been inseparable since our parents split when we were very young, and this has been all that we've known for the longest time." Mako responded in silence.

"You don't have to respond to that, I simply wanted to express it," she said.

"I understand," and just as he said this, a horn blew from atop the boat.

Mako waited for the halting of the sound, "What does that mean?" he asked.

"It means that land has been spotted," she said, "Gather your possessions," she said turning toward her cabin, "And don't forget the wine!" she shouted. He chuckled silently for moment.

The harbor was crowded with a welcome party to herald the return of the chiefs with the sound of a trio of horns of the tundra ram. The plank was lowered and Eska descended, meeting her brother upon the protrusion of the pier. The two vultures conversed before turning to the plank to witness Mako descend.

"Is this the one you hired?" he inquired.

"This is the one, brother," she said to him. He squinted at Mako.

"We have met before," Desna remarked.

"I'm pretty sure you tried to kill me," Mako responded, snickering.

"Nonsense," Desna responded, "If I had tried to kill you, then you obviously wouldn't be alive." Mako huffed and grinned at the remark.

"Enough, you two," Eska interjected forcefully, "Mako, you will accompany me to the residence. Thereafter, we will immediately make our way to the courthouse via gondola. I have administrative duties to fill." The two nodded to one another and they proceeded off.

The residence appealed just as any other home within the square in which it had been located, all the houses almost directly touching each other, just as they do on the northside of Republic City. The residence could be called a townhouse, however they had little knowledge of their neighbors, as they were often very busy throughout their day, and too exhausted to be in communion with others by the time that they returned in the evening.

They entered through the front door, "May I take your bag?" inquired a servant immediately. Mako turned to the servant.

"I think I'll be fine, thank you though." The servant nodded and bowed to the two of them before leaving, "Will you show me where you wish for me to stay?" he asked. Eska nodded, ushering him into the chamber, where a stove kept the room warm. He placed his bag in a derelict corner, where hopefully it would not be noticed. He had a lone mat to spread across the floor, and a folded towel on which to rest his head.

"Are these accommodations sufficient?" she asked of him.

"They should be okay," he returned. She looked around him, observing his mat and towel with a strange look.

"Are you certain?" she asked.

"I slept on the floor for a decade; It's not something I've ever minded," he said.

"Very well," she said, "Now come with me," she said.

He followed her shortly. She had a very quick walking pace, and beneath her ornate parka, it againappeared as if she did not even touch the ground, but rather she was levitating just above it. He expedited his pace, and they caught up to a gondolier, a waterbender who stopped to receive them.

"To the courthouse, please," Eska remarked, tipping the man generously. Mako felt no misdirected inertia. It felt as if the gondola had never even moved. He turned to observe the gondolier, his form and technique so pristinely and carefully executed, reminding him of the dancer he witnessed in the fire nation.

"Some spend their entire lives, training, and maneuvering gondolas within the tribe. It is a tradition, and a craft that is as old as the water tribes themselves," Eska remarked as he observed.

"They are definitely a sight to behold," Mako said. The courthouse was a baroque architectural masterpiece, the lobby ceiling stretching far above where they stood on the floor in a pair of massive arches which intersected down their centers. He clapped and counted five reverberations as the sound bounced off the icy surfaces.

They walked in through the lobby where they were happily received by a receptionist who bowed and led them to a senatorial room

The courtroom was filled with senators and administrative officials that stared at him as he trailed the chiefess. She directed him to stand beside her as she sat upon her throne before the court, and a judge declared the court in session under her oversight. She immediately put on a bored face as she observed the debates between executive members of the council. Mako stood beside her in meditative focus, unbreaking in his situational awareness. He took brief moments to turn into different directions, observing the character and minutiae of his surroundings. He was trained to identify escape routes, but other than three doors within the massive room, there seemed to be nothing to offer. He looked for something drastic, in the case of disaster. He spotted a lone, circular, ice window in the upper portion of the wall near the ceiling. Through this, the sun would shine directly in the event of the winter solstice. The thought plagued his mind, for whatever reason.

It was after a few hours of swaying back and forth, allowing for the blood to rush back into his feet and legs, that the judge dismissed the court. Eska stood and stretched before beckoning him to her as she sat back down.

"You are hereforth dismissed," she said.

"Wait… as in terminated!?"

"No! No, I meant for the day," she remarked, "My apologies for the lack of clarity." She stood from her place upon the throne to approach him personally.

"I would also like to personally extend my invitations to you for dinner this evening, as it is common practice for some members of the administrative council to meet together at a restaurant not far from here."

"That sounds interesting," he said, "I would be happy to join you."

"Excellent; for now, we will be returning to the residence." The two of them boarded the gondola and returned to the place by the river.

As they entered the parlor, Eska found a place on a sofa to lay out. She removed her moccasins and propped her feet up, allowing for her head to lean back onto the arm. Mako wandered over to the fireplace, where he sat in front and shut his eyes for a moment. He massaged the residual tension from his forehead again, a problem with which he was gradually becoming concerned with. He crossed his arms and breathed deeply, allowing himself to relax before the warmth of the hearth. The door soon opened, but he ignored it, allowing his body to sink into the floor. He breathed deeply, and gradually the room went silent around him. He opened his eyes, suddenly becoming fixated on the flames with a stare for a thousand miles. He yawned, breaking his trance before a body came to sit next to him. He looked over.

"It's wonderful to see you again," Senna said to him, smiling sweetly. Her face was a sight for sore eyes to rest on, and he couldn't help but smile warmly in return.

"It' good to see you too," he responded. As he turned, he immediately took notice of his eye patch. She gestured delicately toward it.

"I don't remember you having this the last time we saw you, is everything okay?" she asked.

"Oh it's alright. I lost it a year ago in an accident; It's gotten better," he assured her. He had practiced this remark in his head and out of his mouth several times over, assuming what Eska had said was true.

"Well, know that I would be more than happy to help you with anything," she said, "How have you been?" she inquired.

"Oh, I've just been doing some security work around. Currently I have been hired as a bodyguard for Eska to work with now that she is supposed to be independent," he said. He left out any of the details that would cause her to be concerned or feel sorry for him. He didn't want her to worry about him.

"That all sounds quite exciting," she remarked, smiling to him.

"Mako!" a deep voice raised from the other side of the room, startling him. He snapped in an instant to his feet taking everyone in the room by surprise, "How are you son?" asked Tonraq. The two of them approached one another to shake hands. Immediately as he gripped, Tonraq visibly eyed several things. The first was his eye patch, the second was his topknot, and the third, being the sleeve tattoo that embellished Mako's arm.

"Wow… you've got quite a new look for you," he said aloud.

"Does the tattoo offend you?" Mako asked directly.

Tonraq shook his head, "No, I just thought it was really interesting to look at. How long ago did you get it?" he inquired.

"Oh, I got this a few months ago, doing work for the firelord. This mark was given to me by a Ketsueki enforcer as a gift."

"Who is that? The Ketsueki, I mean?" he asked. The room went silent.

The tone of Mako's voice changed to a low, stoic tone, "The Ketsueki are known in the fire nation as being one of the most dangerous underground mafia organizations in the world. This mark," Mako said, raising his hand before all, including Desna who had come down from his own room, to see, "This mark says

that I earned their respect. They titled me an honorary enforcer, and earning their favor helped me out a lot when I was working as a bodyguard for the firelord's daughter." There was a profound silence in the room regarding the matter as even Eska had leaned in to listen to the matter.

"Wow," Tonraq said aloud, "What all did you do to earn something like that?" he asked.

"That, I believe," Mako began in a charming tone, "Is a story I'm not sure I wish to share this evening," he said. Tonraq nodded.

"Understandable, will you be joining us for dinner?"

"Tonraq," Senna snickered, "Perhaps we shouldn't bombard the boy with questions so soon, he's not dating your daughter anymore," she said.

"I know, I know she's seeing the Sato girl now. I don't remember when you two split up," he remarked.

"After she kicked my desk across a room," Mako said as he scratched his neck nervously. Tonraq burst out with a hearty laugh.

"You'll have to tell me that one over dinner this evening," he said placing his hand on Mako's shoulder, "We're happy to have you son." Mako gave a single nod to him out of respect and Tonraq proposed that the group of them head out momentarily.

The restaurant was supposed to represent the cuisine of the Northern Water Tribe with seal steaks regularly on the menu, but the appeal of the restaurant seemed so much in resemblance of what Mako had known in Republic City.

"Excuse me, Chief Tonraq," prompted a server, getting his attention, "There is at least an hour wait on six-person booths I am afraid," the host apologized.

"What about four-person and two-person?" inquired Eska.

"Why, both are immediately available," the host said.

"Tonraq, if I may have some time alone to speak with Mako?" she requested. Tonraq nodded in approval, and they were all immediately seated. Mako sat across from Eska, having pulled the chair out for her, and both ordered water to drink. He paused for a moment as he sat taking several deep breaths, and for a moment, he thought about Ursa in that moment, and found himself a bit low.

"I notice you appear a bit low," she prompted.

"I can't hide anything from you can I?" he snickered, "I guess I'm just thinking about someone."

"Do you feel the desire to discuss it?" she inquired. He thought for a long moment.

"Something you ought to understand for context… I am very bad with women," Eska squinted and tilted her head a good ninety degrees.

"I know… I've been with some great women before, but I think I'm bad at maintaining relationships," he said to her. She looked confused a bit further, "I had to leave someone behind at the fire nation, and I think it really broke her heart," he said with resignation.

"Was it the young woman at the docks with you?" she asked.

"Yes," he said with a sigh, "She's the princess of the fire nation. I feel like I messed things up," he said.

"How so?" she inquired, with another one of her head tilts.

"Well, the fact that I left someone of royalty who was so good to me just for work elsewhere, after having messed things up with one of the world's greatest businesswomen, not to mention also with the avatar, I feel like a disaster right now."

"Perhaps you ought to revise your perspective Mako," she stated. He was taken aback for a moment at the boldness of the claim.

"What do you mean?"

"You claim that you are bad at maintaining relationships, but work leading you elsewhere is more of external pressure that can't be attributed to you," she said.

"What about Asami and Korra?" he asked.

"I am unaware of what happened there I am afraid, however, running off of what I've learned about you so far, you seem to very prone to believing all of the outcomes to every situation as being solely the result of your own personal efforts or mistakes, when the reality is, each of these situations were incredibly complex, and there were factors at play that you simply could not control," she stated.

"Oh—Okay," he said.

She continued, "You needed to find work, and you did, because if you didn't, you would have been unemployed. Unemployment causes homelessness, and the threat or risk of it appeals to your innate survival processing."

"But I could have found work," Mako raised.

"Whatever it will have been, Mako, I legitimately doubt what you will have found would have been anything appropriate to your set of skills, your networked interpersonal connections, and your character Mako," she said to him. His eyes, or rather his available eye, was wide and blinking at what felt like aggressive reassurance. He nodded in approval of this.

"I guess I just wish things would have been better. I guess part of me is still worried about Korra," he said.

"She is a resilient character, and she will figure this out for herself," she said, "I used to fight her a lot when we were children; I've had a few tastes of her tenacity."

"You fought Korra as a kid?" he inquired with a smirk.

"I did. She and I would get into very heated arguments. She would usually instigate, but I was always very stubborn on certain matters, which she didn't like."

"Was there ever any bending involved?" he asked.

"Oh, plenty of times," she raised.

"That… sounds terrifying," he said with a grin.

"I feared her as a kid, but I held my own fairly well. Eventually parents would get involved and break us up… My father would always take her side," she said, her voice trailing off. Soon they were served and ate in silence together. They both enjoyed their meals quite well and sat in satisfaction together thereafter.

Afterward, they stood outside, talking back and forth with one another as they awaited a gondola to board.

"Thank you for talking with me. You make good conversation," he said, placing a hand on the side of her shoulder. She instantly brushed it off and he backed off a few inches.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable," he said.

"Physical touch is something that overwhelms me very easily," she said.

"I'll keep that in mind," he said to her, allowing her some space.

Mako began his training later in the evenings at a gym just across the street from them. He would start with his usual heavy bag routine, wrapping his hands and rapping the bag in combos until he counted that he was done. He would practice on a wooden dummy, kicking his shins against it, and hitting it until he felt it deep inside of his bones and tendons.

"Does that not hurt?" Eska inquired of him.

"'Oh, this? It does at first when you start training, but after a while you feel better. Don't you do bone density training?" he asked.

"I have never done anything of the likes," she said to him.

"Understandable, it's definitely not for everyone," he said, sitting on a bench and unwrapping his hands.

"Why would you put yourself through such torture?" she asked.

"Well, it stimulates tendons and bone tissue, and causes them to thicken and get stronger," he said, "Do waterbenders ever do anything like this?" he asked her.

"I don't think we are as forceful with our training as you tend to be," she said as he looked up to her from the bench, "I watch you from my balcony across the street," she told him.

"Oh, how do you usually train?" he asked.

"I haven't trained in quite some time I'm afraid. The busyness of my work keeps me from being able to get away, and I usually find myself incredibly drained by the end of the day, but Desna and I used to do a lot of rehearsal of waterbending forms together, we also did a lot of water dance, tai chi, and ballet," she said.

"I didn't know you were a dancer," he remarked, approaching her from the bench.

"I'm not, I assure you, but such arts tremendously benefit one's balance," she said to him, looking off to the side. He noticed a little bit of blush beneath the dark shade of her skin.

"I've never been very graceful. I've heard of some fighters taking it up before they hit the ring, but I've never felt the need," he said, tightening the straps around his hands.

"Then perhaps as someone who is to accompany me in combat, I ought to train you in this on a regular basis, to ensure that you are fit to aid me," she said.

"Oh—Okay," he responded to the proposal. She glided over to the center of the arena.

"Join me," she said to him. He walked over to where she stood in the middle of the arena, "For now, I simply want for you to mirror my actions directly. This is a routine that Desna and I developed together. She removed her parka, folding it and placing it a few steps behind her.

She began with an open-handed form, raising her hands gracefully, and smoothly in front of her with her spread, and from there she transferred into a new form which he mirrored. She halted him for a moment. Approaching him.

"Your feet are too fixed, and your form is very tense," she remarked to him, moving behind him.

"I'm going to bloodbend you a bit, in order to influence your motions," she said to him.

"Wait… what?!" he responded in shock.

"Relax, you'll just feel a bit of a tug in some places; I promise I won't be taking advantage of you," she said, "Would you be okay with this?" she inquired softly. He paused for a fair moment.

"Okay, just be gentle. I've been bloodbent before, and It tends to be pretty unpleasant" he said.

"Just relax and follow through as I guide you; are you ready?" she asked him.

"Okay," he said in return. He felt something in his hands, and they were drawn gently upward by her guidance.

"Breathe deeply, and focus on releasing any tension within you," she said to him, "You have quite a bit of excess energy that I can feel blocking you," she remarked. He felt compelled through the motions of the form, gracefully making his way through, feeling his feet drawn upward from the surface of the floor, no longer so bound by gravity. It was as if he skated along the surface in a push and pull fashion.

There were a few minutes of remarkable silence between the two as she led him through the motions. She spoke, "You are enduring the motions I feel, but it appears that you are not getting the sense of push and pull that characterizes the form."

"I've never done anything like this before," he said, "I tried to apply it once, but I got thrown against a wall," he said, almost seeming frustrated. She dropped her hold on him.

"The purpose of the motions is not practical application," she remarked calmly, "Unless you are a waterbender of course."

"What is the purpose?" She walked around to stand a foot in front of him.

"The purpose is conditioning. Your body needs to understand fluidity and emptiness if it is to effectively direct energy into any form. You cannot effectively strike or manifest your energy in the form of combat, if your body is perpetually blocked," she said to him, "and You are quite easily one of the tensest people that I have ever encountered."

She continued, "This tension will not serve you, but it will inhibit you, as you are holding yourself back with blockage and isometric contraction. With these forms," she raised again as he followed, "We condition our bodies to learn to move with awareness and perfect fluidity. The goal which we truly seek after, is the freedom of our energy, and this is how we train ourselves to acquire it."

"That is very profound," he said to her, "I've never thought of it that way." She smiled and nodded lightly to him.

"Thank you for showing me to this; I think I'd love to work with you in the future," he said to her.

The next day was a quiet one. Mako had sipped on wine with Eska in the prior night, yielding him a restful, peaceful sleep, and he stood beside her in overwatch of the courtroom. He established a routine of observing all doors and scanning the environment for possible threats. In a lot of this, he used his peripheral vision, but occasionally, he would steal a moments glance at the bored Chiefess, who sat beside her brother on the throne. Congress dealt with too many minute matters to be fascinating to anyone, and all they ever did was watch people argue over trivial things. Before long, they found themselves alone in the courtroom as everyone had been dismissed. Eska and Desna both stretched out as they stood, groaning slightly.

"Spirits… this is so tedious," Desna remarked, "Perhaps we should find a smaller venue this evening, preferably a café," Desna added. Eska agreed, as Mako stayed silent, not putting forth any input on the matter.

The three of them found a small, intimate café, and Desna instantly pulled a book regarding ancient spirituality.

"Perhaps we ought to find a separate table, lest we disturb my brother," she said to him, and they walked together to find a small table around which they sat. They both ordered a bowl of miso to relax and calm down.

"Is every day like this?" he asked.

"Some days are slower than others, but now that the administrative council is in place, we don't usually make a tremendous number of decisions anymore, we just listen and make sure everything is running as it should," she remarked, picking through penguin meat.

"That… that sounds…"

"Boring, Mako… it sounds boring," she remarked. The two of them laughed a little. He thought of the conversations that he and Ursa would have before and gave it a moment.

"How have you been feeling?" he inquired of her.

"Oh, just bored. It feels like our work is pointless," she said.

"How are you feeling on a personal level, I mean?" he asked.

"What do you mean?"

"You keep talking about how you feel about your work, but I want to know how you are emotionally, I mean," he said. She paused a moment and looked around.

"Can we…" she paused.

"Do you... not want to talk about it?" he asked. She paused for a moment and thought before letting out a sigh.

"I've been ruminating quite a bit since our conversation last week," she said to him.

"What over?" he asked.

"My father, and Korra, and my childhood. I don't like to think about these things," she said.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bring up something that would hurt you," he said.

"You didn't bring it up, I did," she said somberly, "but I still hate it," she said to him.

She continued, "My father prioritized Korra over me and my brother when we were growing up. Once he learned that his brother's wife had given birth to the avatar, he suddenly cares about her more than he did us," she said. He listened closely to her, "My mother was always good to us growing up…" her voice trailed off, "but then he sent her away," she said. She locked up for a moment and did not move.. He felt helpless, unable to aid her in this moment, and thus he gave the moment to silence.

"I'm sorry," he said, "I-I didn't know."

"Don't be," she remarked, looking up to him, "You couldn't have," she said. She took a few deep breaths and attempted to break the silence for a bit.

The walk home was silent, and uneventful, Mako not wanting to push her into talking any further than he already had. They arrived home, and she ascended to her room without a word. He made his own way into the chamber where he would rest for the night. The stove had a smoldering piece of wood which kept the room warm for the time being, thus he wouldn't have any trouble. Next to his mat, he notices a small, woven, wool blanket. It was scratchy and felty, but it would surely keep one warm.

He looked around the room as he relaxed for a moment, and an object hanging from the ceiling caught his eye. It was dark, but he clicked a kerosene lantern a few times to illuminate the room slightly. He carried it over to observe what appeared to be a blanket of sorts, carefully woven, and hung just above the mantle of the hearth. There was a small, stone with a lone sigil carved into it… he recognized it. He brushed his finger lightly across the surface recognizing the texture from a rock he had once felt before… but where?

"Yue," he whispered aloud.

"Please don't touch that," Eska said from behind him. He jumped.

"Do you ever make noise?" he asked.

"Rarely," she said to him.

"Is something keeping you awake?" he asked her.

"Nothing other than my own mind unfortunately," she said, being seated beside his mat.

"I've felt metal like this before," he spoke softly.

"It was a meteorite that belonged to my mother," Eska said to him.

"Where did she get her hands on something like this," he asked her, looking down to where she sat.

"She didn't get her hands on it… it was sent… allegedly," she remarked.

"Like… in the mail?" Mako asked. He swore it was something Bolin would ask.

"No," she said, with a slight grin, "She always told me that was sent to her by the moon," she began, "She was in the middle of a prayer when she witnessed a bright star crash down. She rode out on a buffalo yak to go investigate and found one of many pieces scattered across the ice. That was the one she kept. She gave one to my father, and two to my brother and I as well when we were very young. She carved the name of the moon spirit into the piece she kept and kept it on the shrine on our mantle."

"And she believed that the moon sent her this?" he asked.

"She did; although my brother believed her, and he's adamant that he still does, I have always been personally skeptical of the matter."

"Why is that?" he asked. He set down the lantern next to the mat and took a seat beside her on the floor of the residence.

"I had always believed in spirits to some extent, but everything concerning the moon always seemed mythical and cryptic. I don't believe everything that I hear," she said.

"You certainly don't seem like someone who does," he remarked.

She looked over to him, "What do you mean by such a claim?" she asked.

"I mean-..." he felt a compulsion to tread carefully here, "you... are intelligent, educated, and wise," he spoke, seemingly without much effort necessary, "You very clearly give thought to details that a lot of other people tend to overlook. You're obviously very mature for your age, and you're already running water tribe at such a young age, you and your brother," he said to her.

"Oh…," she said softly. There was a very long pause between the two, "… thank you," she said.

"Did she make the tapestry as well?" he inquired of her.

"The tapestry is actually far older than anything else on the mantle. It was made personally for Chief Arnook after his daughter was lost in the fighting at the siege of the North; In the last year of the hundred year's war," she said to him.

"It looks pretty well kept for being eighty years old," he said.

"My mother took very good care of it."

"Growing up, I remember the moon always being very important to her," she said to him. He paused and looked at her in the dim light; she stared straight ahead.

"Are you feeling okay talking about all of this, I understand this is kind of an emotional topic for you," he said. She looked over to him beside her, maintaining her distinct, stoic appearance.

"I always find this to be a very difficult subject to talk about without opening up a number of subjects that I have locked away. I've always been afraid to discuss it because I've never wanted to be an emotional burden on someone; certainly not my brother, as I'm pretty sure that my mother being sent away hit him much harder than it hit me," she said staring at the floor in front of her. She looked back over to him with a side-eye gesture.

"You are an excellent friend, and an exceptional listener… I can see why Korra and Asami like you so much," she said. The statement took him by surprise for a moment.

"I'm always happy to listen," he said, "I enjoy talking like this with people."

"Why do you suppose that is?" she inquires of him. He takes a moment to think, staring out into the room in front of him.

"I guess-... that whenever I listen to other people talk about their emotions, I receive a lot of insight into my own. I always find it to be tough talking about my own mother, personally," he said.

"Was she in Republic City when you left?" she asked. He paused and sighed.

"She… was not; she died when I was eight," he said, "I shielded my brother while my parents were killed by a firebender… We ended up out on the streets together as kids." there was a profound quiet in the room.

"That…" she began, "that is truly tragic. I'm sorry, I had no idea."

"Don't worry about it too much. It won't hurt me to talk about it, I don't think," he said looking back over to her.

"Well, you ought to have someone to talk to yourself," she said, "Someone who tends to your needs as much as you tend to others."

"I guess that's what breaks me up so much about the situation with me, Asami, and Korra… and Ursa for that matter." There was a bit of a pause for a long moment.

"Mako…" she said, garnering his attention, "Can you honestly say that the women in those relationships tended to your emotional needs, half as much as you may have tended to theirs?" she inquired. He was taken aback.

"I have no intentions for prying, but from one you have described to me regarding these previous relationships, and the women you were involved with, the relationships were arguably one-sided," she said. His eyes widened with shock for a second.

"What… what do you mean?"

"I mean that these women were attracted to you because of your emotional intelligence and caretaker nature. They benefitted from your personal encouragement and ability to listen effectively, but they never bothered to explore your emotions, and your needs, even as much as you supported them. This can be inferred by your continued personal independence and reluctance to be on the receiving end of hospitality." He lightly nodded for a second.

"Okay," he said softly in acknowledgement of what was said, even though he was still processing it.

"You shouldn't feel bad about how things ended with them; in the end, I suspect even as difficult as it was, it was for your benefit," she continued. She stood from her spot beside him and moved over into the doorway.

"Are you headed to bed?" he asked.

"I will fetch water for us both, and then I will head to bed," she remarked. She paused for a moment, "You should know that even if you can make it on your own and you don't need anyone to protect you, you can still have someone with the ability to look after you. It makes life easier when you have someone you can rely on," she said. She returned with two pitchers of water for the two of them, and she placed one beside his mat.

"Goodnight Mako," she said softly through the doorway to the chamber before gliding away.

"… goodnight Eska," he said. He drank a fair portion of the water that he was given, more than he usually would, and rested his head for a moment. He soon fell asleep, and for once… he didn't feel so bad.

The outside of the courthouse was in turmoil regarding the recent decision of the council to denounce the dock workers union for their monetary support of a number of insurrectionist organizations. It turned out that even after the civil war, dark spirits persisted in terrorizing those at sea.

"Get back!" Mako demanded out loud. Glass bottles were thrown, one of which he caught and broke on the ground, a gesture which caused the crowd to recede for a moment.

"Let's get you inside," Mako raised to Eska, escorting her quickly up the steps. She took Mako's arm for a moment and they both made their way up, Mako putting himself between her and the crowd. As soon as they entered Eska sighed.

"Are you alright? Any of that catch you?" he asked.

"I am well, Mako," she assured him

"How often do you have crowds like that outside of the courthouse?" he asked.

"Only on occasion. I usually end up bearing the blunt of people's insults for a while after the council does something dramatic like this," she blew her hair from her face, "Unfortunately, the people still see me as the face of their government," she remarked disdainfully.

"Well, people are stupid then," he said smirking to her, "let's get you to the courtroom; When we get inside, I'll fetch you some of that spearmint tea," he said. She gave a very narrow smile in response. He walked beside her for a moment, and Mako felt her arm wrap around his own. The gesture felt familiar, reminding him of Ursa and how the two of them would meet routinely in the corridor every morning, and she would take his arm. He played it cool, as much as he could anyway, and they proceeded into the courtroom where many of the senate and administrative officials talked amongst themselves, some having yet to arrive. Desna was already present, reading a book upon his throne.

Mako escorted her formally to her chair, where she sat, taking his hand to aid her. He excused himself to a break room where he brewed a sachet of tea that he had gathered for her that morning. He looked up and witnessed a fancy mirror on the other side of the room, and he observed himself in his uniform to tidy up for a moment, noticing a blemish on his face near his eye. He went to the sink, as it looked like a streak of dirt, but it would not wash off. He removed his eye patch and recoiled.

"What?!" he proclaimed aloud out of his frustration. He groaned with a facepalm and tried to wash it for a second time, but to no avail. He was sure to remain quiet to not disturb anyone.

"What's the matter?" asked Desna, having entered the room as an owl. Mako jumped, covering his eye.

"Do you two ever make some kind of noise when you get around?" he asked comically.

"Only when I want to… Let me see your eye," he said. Mako was reluctant, however.

"What for?" he asked.

"Because I said so," Desna demanded.

"I don-"

"You work for me… I'll be the one to make demands. Now let me see your eye," Desna said. Mako raised an eyebrow before dropping his hand. Desna recoiled at the sight of it.

"Spirits, what happened to you?" he asked.

"It's a long story, but I'm not entirely sure altogether," Mako said to him in response. He removed the sachet from the tea and stirred it gently.

"Is it infected? It looks… discolored, and I am concerned that it will affect your performance under our employment," he said. Mako immediately paused.

"I'm fine, Desna. I had the eye removed and I just have some bruising from the impact," Mako remarked.

"Impact?" Desna raised an eyebrow.

"It's none of your business!" Mako planted himself, turning around.

"Hostility is not something I will tolerate from one of those employed under my hand!"

"You're the only one being hostile! I've done nothing wrong, but I've been on the receiving end of your passive aggression literally since I stepped off the boat!" Mako raised.

"And You will not raise your voice at me!" Desna Demanded, lowering his own, "I have business to attend to, and I will discuss your condition with my advisors," he said, gliding his way out of the room.

Mako held the cup and took very deep breaths, and the tea within his hands bubbled a bit as steam poured out from his nose. He calmed himself again, and stepped out, placing the teacup upon a plate, and delivering it out, placing it upon the arm rest of the throne in which had been carved a circular indentation for the purpose of hosting a teacup.

"Thank you, Mako," she smiled. Desna emerged from the other side of the room, and the two caught eye to eye for an unsettling moment, quickly breaking contact the moment that Desna sat down.

The walk home was quiet, and Eska had taken Mako's arm as she had that morning. She looked up to observe him, "I get the sense that something is on your mind," she said.

"I do have a tremendous amount on my mind at the moment, a lot of different things I've been thinking about recently," he said.

"May I ask if you desire to express some of these things?" she inquired. He began.

"I've kind of been ruminating about how my employer's kind of… tossed me away before, I've also encountered something wrong beneath the patch, and I don't know what the deal is," he said.

"I get the sense that something else troubles you as well?" she prompted.

"Am I going to be able to hide anything from you?" he smirked.

"Likely not, I pick up on the fluctuations of your energy and tension. I can feel it in the air around you, and it cues me into when something has you preoccupied." His eyes went a bit wide before looking over to her with a raised eyebrow and grinning

"I suppose I've been having trouble with your brother. He and I have… not exactly hit it off," he said with a disgruntled face.

"I perceive as much, he seemed less than pleased upon your arrival," she said.

"It's been a lot of passive aggression since then, and I don't know what the problem is."

"I'm sure he will gradually warm up, Mako. This isn't uncommon for Desna when dealing with people he doesn't know very well. Perhaps simply giving it some time," she responded. She paused a moment and wore a slightly inquisitive look.

"What is the matter with your eye may I inquire?"

"Somethings causing it to blacken again… and I don't know why," he said.

"May I see it for a moment?" she asked.

"Only once we get inside; the opening is really sensitive recently and the cold air hurts," he said to her.

They proceeded into the residence where they were met with an empty parlor. She led him over to the hearth and sat him down for a moment, where he removed the patch.

"It does appear discolored some; Have you been struck?" she asked.

"It's sore all the time. If I was hit, I think I would remember; I don't know what to do about it this time."

"Perhaps we could get you to a spirit healer in time. I assure you, it will be fine in time," she said to him. He felt strangely calmed as she spoke this, "Some wounds are more complicated than simply the flesh and blood that they ail," she said to him. Mako hadn't a response. Senna entered the room as they assessed this.

"My, what happened to you?" she asked, kneeling to where they sat beside the fire.

"It's just some discoloration. I had the eye removed a little while ago because the vision blacked out entirely. I don't know what's wrong with it now," he said to her. Senna looked closely and observed the socket, leaving for a moment to fetch a clean rag and a bowl of warm water.

"May I?" she asked. He paused for a moment, surprised by the offer.

"That would be much appreciated, Aunt Senna," Eska answered. Mako looked over to her and she nodded lightly, he returned a nod to Senna.

"Thank you, Senna," he said to her as she gently dabbed the area.

"I am a healer; I am always happy to help in whatever way that I can," she said to him.

"Wait, you're a waterbender?" he asked.

"I am!" she answered, "I just don't get out much, so you don't see me using it often," she said to him.

"Oh. I can't believe I had no idea!" he said to her. She gently dabbed the area with warm water, and he shut both of his eyes as the fire flickered and crackled in the background. Senna coated her hand with warm water… and it glowed gently.

"Hold still," she said as she placed her hand to the empty eye. He took a few deep breaths and felt a bit of pressure release from his face.

"My headache is gone," he remarked. She removed her hand and the water fell from his face.

"Let me see it," Eska said, turning his face into the light. She looked at him through the dimness of the fire and squinted, observing him closely.

"It appears substantially better," she said to him. Senna looked from her angle.

"Most of the discoloration is gone," Senna remarked, observing his face, "Would it be alright if I saw to this again a few more times later on?" she asked.

"I would appreciate that," he said smiling, "Thank you." Senna smiled in return, and she turned to address Eska.

"I may need you and Desna to see to the market for me soon, would that be alright?" she asked.

"Perhaps Mako could go with Desna to the market this evening," Eska proposed. Mako shook his head slightly, "You will need to spend time with him if he is to come around to trusting you better. I know he is very reluctant now, but if you give him some of your time to help him, he will get better," she assured him softly. Mako considered the matter and let out a sigh.

"I suppose I could go with him," he said.

Mako carried two bags as Desna directed him throughout the market, placing specifics on orders of diverse sorts. The marketplace was bustling with people purchasing and selling products of unpredictable character. Some sold fish next to where some sold jewelry. Some sharpened swords and tools while others offered legal consultation. Regardless of what was bought or sold, the area was busy, filled with people and families at this time of the evening, most trying to make their way through the crowd in order to get to their homes, but many stopped to purchase goods. Prices, more often than not, were negotiable, and with enough skill in the craft of haggling, one could come home with a good deal on whatever he or she sought originally.

"The eye has gotten better," Mako remarked.

"Such does not concern me," Desna retorted. Mako wore a very confused look for a moment.

"What is… the problem that you have with me being here?" Mako asked. He didn't mean to sound hostile or instigative, but he did come off that way a bit.

"The only problem, Mako…" he turned, "Stands in front of me," he finished.

"What? Why?" Mako asked confused.

"What mean by such questions?" Desna inquired.

"What is it that makes me a problem. I don't understand what you want me to do?" Mako asked.

"I want," Desna paused, "For you to go back home where you belong," he said.

"I don't have a home, Desna. Republic City spat me out, and not everybody grew up in a castle, or with some monumental heritage," Mako remarked.

"You will keep your words to yourself, outsider," Desna remarked with deepness and malice in his voice, "You talk of what you do not understand, and it would be wise that you tread lightly hereforth." He turned and continued his walk.

"Do you have something you want to say?" Mako asked. He dropped the groceries for a moment and approached him. The tension between them was hard… and it began to ignite, compressed between the foot of space that divided them.

"I'm sick of the uncultured personalities that tread upon my heritage and my family's well-being by showing their hideous faces in the tribe over which I am assigned to watch," Desna raised. They began to catch the attention of others, being they stood before a popular jewelry stand. "You and your brother, and your cake-faced entrepreneur friend, and the avatar left a disaster behind that I was expected to clean after!"

"What disaster Desna? You mean the one where your father tried to plunge the earth into eternal darkness?!" Desna recoiled at the comment.

"Enough of this!" Desna demanded.

"Enough of what?! You are the only one keeping this up!"

"Boys! That's enough of you," Tonraq remarked with authority, having made his way to join them from the residence, "Take these home before they expire… now," he said. The two nodded in silence and picked up the groceries from the ice.

The walk home was quiet, and they entered the parlor together.

"Thank you both," Senna remarked smiling, "I will tend to these for now." Mako made his way into a space within the chamber, and Eska found him as she walked by.

"How did it go?" she asked him.

"Not well," he said looking off to the side, "I'd rather not talk about it."

"Mako; I'm certain that things will get better. Desna is a very complicated young man, and he is difficult to reach," she said.

"It's not that he's difficult to reach, Eska," he said to her, "He blames me and Bolin and the avatar for everything that's been wrong the last few years." Eska acknowledged this with a nod. He thought for a moment.

"I know that he has a point, and that the avatar did have a role to play in all of this," he said for a moment, "but it's not right for him to pin all of this on me. I didn't bring back the spirits, and I didn't collapse most of the world governments!"

"Have you considered telling him that directly?" she asked.

"How would he take that?" he asked.

"As a form of effective communication and an establishment of interpersonal boundaries," she remarked. Mako had nothing to add, even though he opened his mouth for a moment and tried.

"Good point," he said. She turned to him, taking his arm as they sat together.

"Even if he doesn't come around for whatever reason. I know that things will get better, and they will calm down. I know you to be impatient with these matters, but it is crucial that you allow them time," she said to him softly. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes for a moment.

"I suppose you're right," he remarked.

"Let me show you to some more training. It will be beneficial to get your mind off these things," she said, standing and pulling him up by his arm. The two trained in the gym, reviewing the routine that she had shown him not long ago to refresh their memories. She drew him along, guiding his hands flowfully, and eventually she deemed him ready to direct his own way through what felt natural to him.

"I sense a grand amount of stiffness in your body," she said to him.

"Is this the same tension you talked about?" he asked.

"No, I sense inflexibility of your body. We will be remedying that soon," she remarked.

"Wait you aren't going t-"

"It won't hurt, I promise," she assured him.

"Oh—okay," he said following her out after their session together.

"Forever, anyway…" she grinned. His eyes went wide.

"Wait… hang on, what do you mean not forever?" he asked nervously. She only laughed in response.

He bathed that evening, cleaning himself thoroughly and preparing for the night. It was two hours prior to midnight, and many in the house had already dismissed themselves to enter their rooms for the evening. Mako entered the kitchen, dressed for the evening, to find Desna, gazing out the window. Mako simply casually acknowledged his presence, filling the pitcher of water, and returning to his room.

"I wasn't talking about the tribe," Desna spoke out of the silence. Mako paused, just as he stood in the doorway.

"What do you mean?" Mako asked, setting the pitcher on the kitchen table.

"I overheard your conversation with Eska; That disaster which you left behind… I wasn't talking about the condition of the tribe," he said calmly.

"What were you talking about then?"

Desna turned his gaze back from the window where the moon sat large, and in full view, "I was talking about Eska," he said. Mako wore a confused look, and Desna rolled his eyes a moment, "What your brother and your friends did… your brother most of all," he began, "It threw her into emotional turmoil that I had tried so hard to keep her from…"

He turned back to look at the moon again, "All of my life I have tried to give everything I could for her sake, so that she could grow up in good health, and emotional and spiritual well-being… and I simply watched when you came here, while your brother and the avatar destroyed everything I had helped to support in a matter of weeks." Mako was silent.

"… and here you are again… ready to destroy her heart and leave us in the wake," he said.

"… Desna," he said, "That's not what I want."

"It wasn't what your brother wanted either," he said, speaking over his shoulder, "but that didn't prevent it from happening," he said. Eska's words regarding open communication echoed in Mako's head for a moment, and he wondered what she would say to help him.

"I think you put too much of this on yourself," he said. Desna turned with a confused look.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean…" he thought carefully, "I don't think it should be entirely on your shoulders to keep her from hurting," Mako said.

"That's where you are wrong, Mako," he responded, returning his gaze to the moon, "It has always been my duty to my sister to seek for her well-being, and it always will be, no matter what the council wants," he said in response. Mako thought for a moment before pulling back a chair and sitting at the table.

"… I think I know what you mean," Mako responded.

"What would you know?" Desna inquired. Mako took a deep breath.

"Did I ever tell you what happened to my parents?" Mako asked him. Desna turned to look at him.

"You did not do this," he said. Mako gave it a moment of silence.

"They were murdered, Desna," he said, "I was eight, and Bolin… I'm pretty sure he was five." Desna appeared to have been surprised to some extent, despite his notoriously blank demeanor, "When they were killed, the city evicted us, because we couldn't pay it off, and forced us out onto the streets… alone." Mako's eyes glistened a moment in the light of the moon. Desna sat down a moment at the table.

"I had to take care of him doing whatever I could, so I found dirty work for the triple threats to keep us afloat. We slept in an alleyway," he continued, "Do you remember the scarf I used to wear?" he asked.

"The ugly red one that you wore in your time here?" Desna inquired with a head tilt. Mako smirked at the remark, comically relieving him for a moment

"That's the one," he said, grinning, "That was the only thing that I had left of my parents," he said. Desna was silent, standing slowly and turning out the window.

"… I'm sorry," he said.

"Don't be," Mako said, standing from his chair, "I understand." He took the pitcher of water for a moment, pouring out a cup, and sliding it to the end of the table, behind where Desna stood to stare out of the large dining room window, and took the rest of the pitcher into the chamber. He set it down next to his mat before he heard stirring behind him. He was startled a moment, turning to see Eska standing in her tunic before him, in the light of the sole lantern within the room.

"Hey," he said, "What's kept you up?" he asked. She didn't answer, but she clearly smiled. She reached out and embraced him. He was shocked for a moment, blushing a bit with his arms over her in the air, before slowly settling them on her, returning her embrace. He felt secure for a moment, so he noticed. Being held this way reminded him of his mother when he was a little child. She felt like home and her hugs were sweet…

… so he held her back…

"Stay close to me; mask up, hood on." Mako said to Eska as she held onto his arm, closer than usual. He spoke with a resonant voice that could be heard through his Shamagh that covered him from nose to neck. Outside of the courthouse a crowd had gathered. Mako circumvented them, quietly navigating around the masses with Mako placing himself between Eska and the crowd, that she would not be seen. Desna found an alternate route, favoring a stealthier approach. His practice for this came from avoiding people in general, thus he was proficient enough that the guard did not worry about him. Another three months had passed, and it was cold in the air. A pneumonic epidemic had broken out rapidly, causing hospitals to break down and flow in with the sick, many of which did not flow out.

The audience was filled with souls, some reporters, some political representatives, some business owners, and others just disgruntled characters. If the marketplace was crowded, then this place was packed tightly with angry sardines that sought answers to their political questions, some struggling and fighting their way to get to the front of the audience to see the chiefs themselves. Small children were held atop the shoulders of older men and women that they would not be caught or swept away by the masses.

They made their way past the crowd, catching a gondola on which a few others had already boarded. Eska kept her head down even then, her hair hanging over her face, lest she be recognized by a public of mixed feelings and questioned of things she had not much knowledge regarding. The gondolier made a stop, and the two of them deboarded, taking the sidewalk. This side of the capitol was quiet at this time of evening, and the sun had gone down already. The wind had been blowing, and there was a chance for freezing precipitation soon, thus the two desired to be home at once. Mako held her on the inside of the sidewalk, an archaic gesture that his father had taught him concerning women, and they were silent for the remainder of their walk, unmasking themselves only as soon as they approached the residence, which was now on watch by a few guardsmen.

The identity of the residence was a secret, and everyone in the tribe believed it to be any ordinary residence, but the chiefs resided there, favoring it over the palace, and of course, they obviously did not want to compromise such secrecy in favor of increased security measures.

"How are you holding up?" he asked, pulling his scarf down.

"About as well as I can I suppose," she said, throwing her hood back. Her hair had been braided, two braids for each half-section, and having her hood up caused some of the hairs within each braid to fall out of place a little.

"Are you two alright?" Senna asked, "I heard about the commotion down at the city hall, and I was worried they would keep you."

"We were able to find our way around them," Mako assured her.

"We are ready for you in the dining room," she said, "We'd love for you to join us." Senna's demeanor was always a delight to experience, and they both smiled as they accepted, Mako aiding Eska in removing her heavy parka, and her mask, folding them over his arm and hanging them both on a coat rack.

"Hey kids!" Tonraq welcomed them, "How did the day pass for you?"

"It was alr-"

"Boring," Eska interrupted. Mako turned to her for a moment as they both half-grinned, before nodding in agreement. Tonraq chuckled.

"That's running a tribe for you," Tonraq added. Senna entered with a small vat, filled with a stew of spiced prunes, setting aside bread made from winterwheat, rice, and lightly salted tea.

"This all smells wonderful, thank you senna," Mako said, smiling at her.

"Thank you dear, I have always enjoyed cooking for you all," she said as she sat next to Tonraq who kissed her on the face. She blushed slightly and invited everyone to dig in. Desna had garnered quite an appetite more than usual. He was always reluctant to partake before, but Senna's cooking was always something he found endearing, and it reminded him of his own mother. Senna was also notoriously strong in her culinary skills, so it was easier to partake. The quietness around the table for the next forty-five minutes spoke for itself, as everyone seemed to enjoy what had been served. Her recipe for spiced prune stew was one that she had acquired from Kya and Katara in the South Pole, which had been in their family since the hundred years' war. Soon enough there was contentment among them as everyone rested, sipping at water to settle their stomachs.

"Perhaps we should all get some rest soon. I would like to clean the dining room now," Senna remarked. The group stood and thanked her for her hospitality. Mako approached her after a minute or so after everyone had left.

"Senna?" he raised.

"Yes, Mako?" she inquired.

"Is there any chance that I could help you this evening?" he asked.

"Oh, I assure you I have everything handled dear," she responded.

"Well, I understand that I was just wondering if I could aid you in any way around the kitchen. It's been a privilege living among you all, and I've been looking for a way to help out in whatever way that I can," he said. She smiled.

"Well, since you are insistent," she remarked, "I suppose you could help me deal with the dishes this evening. The servants should take care of the rest," she said.

"I'd be happy to do that for you," he said. She led him back and she began to place all within the sink.

Senna began to fill the sink, but became discontent with the temperature, thus she looked toward the firebender to take care of it. He smirked, placing his hand within the waters as they bubbled with heat, cleaning all within.

"You may want to give that a moment to cool down, I don't want you getting burned," he said to her.

"Oh, I never use my hands," she said, drawing pools of water into midair where she cleaned the dishes with the gentle waves of her hands. From there she stacked them beside the sink, quite clean. Mako ran his hands over the top of them, and the waters which drenched each dish evaporated, leaving each member of flatware and silverware cleaned and polished with steam. Senna took one in her hand with a folded towel, the way she often takes things from the oven, and observed it closely before looking back at him and smiling.

"I think you and I are going to be great friends in these next few months," she said as the two of them laughed for a moment. He took them, stacking them where she had requested him to do so.

"Thank you so much dear; I'd love to have you in the kitchen with me in the future," she said to him with delight.

"I think I would be happy to help," he said.

"Mako," Eska prompted. The two of them looked over.

"Is everything all right?" he asked her.

"Yes… I would like to talk to you," she stated.

"Oh, if you two are interested, I have made tea for this evening. Vanilla-Chamomile with Zaofu honey,"

"That actually sounds wonderful," Eska replied. The three sat at the dining room table as Eska sat across from the two of them.

"With regards to everything currently occurring throughout the tribe," she began, taking a moment to pleasantly sip her tea, "I suspect that it would be no longer wise to continue our usual tradition of outings after major meetings, as the epidemic is picking up, and the administrative council is considering martial lockdown protocol."

"I was hoping to say the same thing. I've been worried about someone around here getting sick," Senna replied. Eska took a sudden break from her tea to go into a coughing fit. The other two looked at one another in concern and Eska returned them a look.

"I'm fine, I promise. I merely choked on my tea for a moment," she said to them.

Senna observed her silently from across the table for a moment before walking around it, "Just to ease my mind sweetheart," she said, coating her hand in water that glowed suddenly. She placed it upon her forehead, and suddenly wore a concerned look.

"You are burning up," she remarked, "Eska dear, are you sure you are feeling okay?"

"I am well I assure you," she concluded, "Perhaps we could take this into the chamber," Eska proposed. The other two nodded for a moment and followed her.

Senna placed the teapot on a folded towel on a chamber table, and sat in a chair next to it, Mako and Eska electing to sit upon the loveseat next to one another.

"How are you feeling?" Mako asked.

"I'm feeling fine, I promise," she assured the two again.

"No, I believe you, but regarding everything going on with the tribe I mean," he said, sipping again at his tea. Eska sighed for a moment.

"I wished people would stop believing I have much of any say as to what is going on within the congressional administration now. The expectations and demands coming from all sides have been sincerely crushing," she sighed with disdain.

"Sounds like you could use a bit of reprieve," Senna remarked.

"I wish I could find any; the tediousness of all of this is exhausting."

"I wish I could help honestly, maybe fill in for you a few days and let you stay home," said Mako. She smiled at the remark nodding.

"Unfortunately chiefs do not simply have days of sabbatical in these times. I've spent the last few years with my brother cleaning up after my father, and they haven't spared me a day I'm afraid," she said with resignation. There was a moment of silent acceptance among the three.

"Well, for what it's worth," Mako said, "I think you're doing very well." She and Senna smiled at the remark.

"Thank you, Mako," she replied softly. Senna yawned for a moment, falling victim to the chamomile in her own tea.

"I believe I am going to head to bed very soon," she said, standing from her chair, "I'll leave you two alone; goodnight both of you," she told them.

"Goodnight Senna," Mako remarked aloud. Eska sat in her place next to him as she left for a moment, she looked down at the teacup, held in her lap, curled slightly over herself. Mako wore a look of concern.

"Hey," he asked, "Are you doing alright?" he asked. She shook her head clearly, sniffling aloud, before she looked up at him.

The eyes were always something Mako was a victim to. All a girl had to do was give him a shoot a look up to him with eyes pleading, sometimes glistening. He swore that Asami had it mastered, and thus he was perpetually wrapped around her delicate fingers, and Korra occasionally took advantage of it herself. Ursa understood it in the middle of her more intoxicating episodes, but the context with Eska was noticeably different. He didn't know what to do here. There were certain rules that he had pledged regarding propriety of physical contact, especially when alone together, and although Eska liked to dance around them, Mako knew he had to tread lightly, but she looked so in need. He reached forward to lightly stroke her face, and as she closed her eyes for a moment, she softly tackled him, enveloped in the warmth he emitted.

Although the rules prohibited him from initiating intimate contact, nothing prevented her from taking her own initiative. She rested her face into his chest, and Mako took a blanket from over the back of the couch, spreading it over her. Her breathing was very deep, and she cried silently into him, pulling the blanket over her head. He lightly scratched her head, and as she noticed this, she released her braids, allowing her hair to fall free from its bindings.

Mako could feel her tears through his shirt. She shed them lightly through quiet sobs before eventually ceasing and nuzzling up to him, sniffling lightly, and coughing occasionally. Mako said nothing to her, just sitting there with her, curled up beneath a blanket, cuddling him. She broke into a coughing fit for a moment, and regained her breath shortly after, nuzzling back into him.

"You need new clothes, these ones are stiff and uncomfortable," she said, her voice like a morning groan. He half-smirked down at her with a raised eyebrow and just nodded, stroking her hair, and eventually, she fell asleep. He interrupted her sleep for a moment, placing a pillow beneath her head and he closed his eyes for just a moment, and when he opened them, the corridor was dark.

He had fallen asleep. This was not improper in of itself, but could he carry her to bed, he wondered. He would have to take her into her room, and could be caught upstairs by Tonraq or Desna, which wouldn't look well for him, especially if he was caught emerging from the room of a young lady. The fire nation was lax about such things, but with certainty, the water tribe was not. He brushed his thumb very gently across her face beneath the blanket, and she issued a groan. Her head raised, her hair slightly messy and her makeup smeared just slightly, with some of it having run down her face from her moment a few hours prior. Her eyes were half open and she stretched out. Mako found this sight somewhat adorable, but he didn't put it to words then.

"Why don't you head to bed, sweetie," he said, not originally meaning to address her with such a pet name. She merely groaned in response, but Mako got the message. He escorted her as she slowly walked to the stairwell.

"Goodnight," he said to her as she stood before the stairwell with her eyes nearly shut. She leaned forward, kissing him on his face. He swore that his face went warm, but it was too dark to tell anyway, and she wouldn't be conscious enough to be aware. Perhaps she was not entirely lucid to understand what had just happened, so Mako had thought anyway. He wanted to make sure that she made it up safely and watched her enter her room on the left side of the top of the steps, soon closing the door behind her. He returned to his own mat, folding his clothes and dressing for the night. He quickly fell asleep.

He woke to a bit of conversation among the servants who had taken to the chamber to speak privately, talking quietly so that they wouldn't wake him. He was ready to wake however, and the occasional buzz of whispers stirred him gently from his rest. He rose, rolling his mat and setting it atop the towel with his duffel bag.

"We're sorry, we didn't mean to disturb you," remarked one softly.

"No, you're just fine. I was awake already," he assured them, but read the room and noticed something was off, "Is everything okay?" he asked them. They looked at one another and the short one approached him.

"Eska is very sick, and there is a winter storm to arrive in but a couple of hours, and we are worried for her," she said to him.

"There is a supply shelter set up a few miles from here, and they have medication and field doctors, but the trip could be dangerous," she continued.

"I could go," he said. The two looked at each other.

"Not right now," one of them said.

"But I thou-"

"We know, but we…" she began, pausing to think, "We don't know if anyone would make it back in time, and the storm is anticipated to be very powerful," she said.

"I'm a firebender, I can keep warm," he assured them. Desna entered at that moment.

"Surely you aren't thinking of going out, Mako," he prompted.

"That was the idea," he remarked.

"Have you ever seen a winter storm in the north?" he inquired.

"I remember the everstorm in the South," he replied.

"They aren't the same thing, Mako," he began, "These storms are created through the combination of different climate elements unique to the north, and they are notoriously strong, comparable to that of fire-nation hurricanes, but the temperatures can drop extremely low… even for the arctic," he said. Mako thought for a moment.

"But what about Eska?" he asked.

"I understand that she is sick, but I suspect that the risk won't be worth the possibility of risking lives. If you were blown into one of the rivers, you could go into shock within ten seconds, and be frozen to death in a mere thirty," he said. Mako shuddered for a moment. Senna entered, hearing the conversation and Desna turned to see her awake.

"Senna can help keep her temperature down if it is necessary," Desna assured him.

"Well, I'm not really experienced with healing, but I do know some of the basics," Senna responded.

"Are you sure I can't just go to grab some antibiotics or something?" he asked.

"We don't want you going out there dear," Senna responded. Mako looked around to the others.

"Okay," he resigned. Soon he donned his clothes and readied himself for the day. It was a routine for him that he always made it a point to follow, even if he wouldn't step foot outside of the house, he would always take the time to refresh himself for the morning. Senna invited him into the dining room with the rest of the family, having delivered some of last night's soup up to Eska, and they ate together that morning, Senna having prepared salted tea with milk and some rice on the side. Tonraq and Mako ate heartily together.

"I need you to help me this morning," he said to him as he finished, "We will be going to the shed to retrieve things to burn, as there is a chance this storm could last at least 36 hours."

"I'm ready to help when you are," he said.

"Oh, not right away son," he laughed, "I meant after we finish," he said.

"Eat plenty! You will both need the energy for warmth, and I don't want any of the rice going stale," Senna added, placing another plate of warm rice on the table.

"Are we stocked on supplies?" Mako asked, continuing to eat.

"Everything but firewood," Tonraq added, "Made sure of it last night!" He tore away through a few winterwheat biscuits, all of them very heavy, and soon felt as full as he could get.

"Mako, dear," Senna prompted him. He stood for a moment to address her, "I have a pitcher of water for Eska, would you mind taking this up to her?" she asked. He smiled for a moment.

"Absolutely," he said, taking the pitcher from her hands.

He slowly found his way upstairs and gently knocked on the door. A servant attending to Eska at the time opened the door to invite him in. It was quiet, and Eska was sprawled out across the bed, her hair fanned out and messy, and she snored very softly. He placed the pitcher on her nightstand, sitting on the side of her bed. She rolled her head over to him, her eyes half-open and yawned.

"You shouldn't be within this room," she said, "This illness is pneumonic, and you could fall sick."

"I'm just going to be here for a few minutes. How are you feeling?" he asked her.

"As awful as you'd imagine," she said. He brushed some of her hair to the side with the back of his hand.

"They won't let me go out to get a doctor," he said.

"You shouldn't be going anywhere!" she declared, sinking back into the bed, "That storm is likely to wreak havoc on the tribe."

"I can make it back in time," he said.

"You don't know that" she argued.

"I could figure something out," he retorted. She only grinned from where she laid.

"I don't you quite understand of what we are dealing with," she said.

"I know why though," he assured her, "How much water have you had this morning?" he asked.

"I don't believe I've had any," she responded. He poured a cup out for her, "Sit up," he said to her. She propped herself against the headboard, audibly coughing up matter from her lungs, and breathing heavily thereafter. He handed her the cup, and she drank. As she sipped slowly, he placed his hand to her forehead, seating once more over the side of her bed.

"Your fever has levelled off a bit," he said.

"See, everything will be alright," she said to him.

"You know how I can be," he said, standing from his place, "I'm still going to be worried about you," he said. She grinned, looking off to the side.

"Keep drinking gradually at that water, don't stop until it's gone," he said to her. She rolled her eyes for a moment.

"Only if you stop doting on me," she said sarcastically, sipping again. He smiled and went to exit the room, and the servant held the door open for him. When she closed the door softly, she stood outside of it, intending to take her bowl once filled with soup back down to the kitchen.

Mako walked around, just starting to make his way down the steps when she spoke softly.

"You know she talks about you," she said, looking down over the railing. He paused his descent looking up to her, smiling down to him.

"What do you mean?" he asked.

"She talks about how sweet you are, and how much she enjoys being around you," she said.

"Oh," he said, pausing for a moment. The servant walked around the railing, making her own way down the steps.

"It's nice to finally see what she means," she said smiling to him, "You really are a sweetheart, you know."

"Oh, thank you… I suppose," he said. She snickered at his response, continuing down the steps.

Mako descended shortly after her, finding Tonraq prepared to bring in firewood.

"Don't throw out your back darling, you know how you bad you can be," Senna said to him.

"I won't, I promise," he said smiling in return.

He and Mako began to load wood into the corner of the parlor. As they did so, Mako spotted clouds on the horizon.

"Sweet spirits," he said aloud, witnessing the supercell stacked miles high, prepared to be brought down, "That's massive!" he said.

"Late winter storms in the Northern water tribe are some of the worst conditions that the world has to offer," Tonraq said to him, observing the clouds with him, "I've seen a quite a few in my time, but this one I must say is bigger than most of them. We will have to be prepared. Get over here and help me with this one," he said removing a large bundle of dense wood, and soon enough, almost everything from the woodshed had been stacked into the corner.

"Do you really think we'll be using all of this?" he asked.

"No, certainly not, but you can't be too careful with storms like these. Some of them can go on for days," Tonraq responded. Mako nodded, being seated on a chair within the parlor.

"So how has Korra been? She forgets she has family in the south?" he grinned.

"Stop, don't be like that," Senna flirted.

"I haven't seen Korra in a very long time," he said, "After I left Republic City, I spent six months in the fire nation. I told everyone I would write as soon as I got settled down…"

"Have you not written?" Senna inquired.

"I'm not sure how stable this job will be. If it lasts until Eska is safe from whatever it is the council thinks is so dangerous, then I could be looking for a new job soon enough. I haven't really found a place to settle down."

"That's difficult to deal with, freelance work is tough. What about in Republic City? Weren't you on the police force at one point?" he asked. Mako snickered for a moment.

"Budget cuts," he said.

"I can't believe those damn mania-" Senna stopped him before he could go on a rant, "Sorry; that's quite a shame, Mako. You're very good at what you do from what all I've seen," he said.

The three sat together until Senna had an idea to work with in the kitchen leaving the two of them, and they wandered into the chamber together where the stove burned a little while to keep it warm. There was a good period of silence between the two of them and Mako shut his eye(s) for a moment.

"So are you ever going to tell me what really happened to your eye?" Tonraq remarked. Mako went wide-eyed from his rest, looking over to him, where he sat with a solemn countenance and an open posture. Mako sighed a moment.

"Something went wrong with Korra," he said.

"What do you mean by that?" Tonraq inquired. Mako turned to face him.

"Asami came to my place after I got off of work, and she said she wanted to talk to me," he began, "she said she was having trouble with Korra, and that she was starting to get kind of scared. She's always been a competent fighter, but Korra had been having repeated fits and outbursts." Tonraq raised an eyebrow, leaning forward in his chair to listen.

"I had Bolin report it to the police, since it wouldn't look right on a record for my name to be on a report like that, being I dated both. She came over again, and when she started to talk, we started to get worried. She showed us a welt on her stomach," he said, gesturing a circle with his hands, "she said she got hit by a rock. Apparently with Korra's outbursts, she tends to get carried away with her bending."

Tonraq was visibly impacted by what he was hearing, recoiling at the fact.

"We reported it again, and I was called up at the office, because some idiot decided it would be a good idea to send her in for questioning… with me specifically…" he said, "To say she was upset wouldn't cut it. She came over to me and I told her that she had been reported and she pressed me to tell me who reported her. I told her that I did," he said.

"Wait, why would you take the blame for that?"

"Knowing Korra in this state," he began, "I didn't want Bolin to take the fall or end up on the receiving end of one of her outbursts, so I told her that I did… and she was livid."

"What happened son?"

"She kicked my desk across the room… again… and then she hit me… really, really hard," he said. Senna entered the room, hearing the conversation.

"What's the matter? What is this about Korra?" she inquired.

"Sit down dearest," Tonraq told her, clearing a spot for her on the loveseat. As she sat down, Tonraq spoke, "You were saying?"

"She hit me… in the eye… really hard."

"How hard?"

"Well, I don't remember a lot of what happened, as it was all kind of a blur, but I'm pretty sure I flew backward about ten feet." Senna covered her mouth in shock.

"And this was… Korra?" she asked. Mako sighed and nodded.

"After that, I went into the bathroom where I vomited for about ten or so minutes straight, and then had a seizure before blacking out. Allegedly at that point, I went into a coma for the next three or four days," he said.

"… Damn," Tonraq muttered, looking down and shaking his head.

"They had me airlifted out, and they took me to the South Pole where Katara healed me, and I woke up, but she said that she couldn't fix my eye… she didn't understand what was wrong with it," he said.

"That's why that airship was at the hospital that day!" he said slapping the top of his head, "Do you remember that?" he asked Senna. She nodded, turning her attention back to Mako.

"After that, she advised a change of scenery, so I packed up and found work for fire-nation royalty, but my eye still got worse," he said, "Eventually I had to see Katara again… She told me to get it removed." The look on Senna's face was hard to watch, "I was in bed for a day or two while the anesthesia wore off completely, and my head eventually stopped throbbing, but not before I got sick pretty bad. I didn't understand that part."

"What happened then?" Tonraq inquired.

"I got outsourced, and they fired me; told me I could find employment here, so I did, and now I'm here," he said.

"Spirits…" Tonraq stated somberly, "She always did have a temper."

"I don't know," Mako said, "I want to say that something didn't seem right about her," he said to them. "I've seen her get mad before, but this… was different."

"You don't have to explain any further son, I get the point," he said, shaking his head.

Senna moved over, seating herself on an ottoman before Mako, raising a hand just beneath his eye. He raised the patch, where discoloration had again begun to set in.

"How could she do this?" she asked under her breath. Her tone wasn't as heartbroken near as much it was genuinely curious. She was baffled at the thought of her daughter hurting someone in such manner. She closed her eyes and sighed deeply.

"I'm so sorry dear," she said, "I wish there was something that I could do."

"Don't be sorry," he said, "I didn't tell either of you at first because I didn't want you to blame yourselves or Korra, and I didn't want to worry you too much," he said.

"It's our job to be worried, Mako," Senna responded, "We're parents; it's what we do. We'll be worried regardless of what happens, but this just seems so out of character for her," she said.

"I know what you mean by that," he said. Desna entered the room, reading the postures of everyone involved.

"Is this a bad time?" he asked.

"Nah," Mako assured him, "What's up?"

"I was hoping I could prepare a dinner for this evening," Desna spoke.

"If you want to cook, you are full welcome to do so," Tonraq asserted. Desna left shortly after inquiring.

"Does it feel okay?" she asked.

"It's sore on occasion, but it's nothing too serious. Princess Ursa had this patch made for me, do I don't have too much trouble, but without it on, the cold air blowing around hurts the socket and gives me a headache," he said.

"Well…" Senna spoke, "We mean it when we say we would love for you to tell us if you need help. Please don't hesitate if you do," she said to him. He nodded to her, "I'm going to go talk with Desna a moment; I'll be back," she said to him, standing and leaving. There was momentary silence as the remaining two sat together.

"I know you told me not to say this," Tonraq said to him, "but I'm sorry. A part of me will still feel responsible for her actions as her father."

"I hope to understand what you mean one day," Mako said.

"I'm sure you will son," he said standing, and replacing himself where Senna had previously sat, "A good girl will snatch you up soon enough." Mako wore a thoughtful look on his face.

"Something wrong?" Tonraq inquired.

"Nothing in particular, I've just had some time to look back over my relationship history," he said, "I can't say that I'm entirely proud of the way things have turned."

"Girl troubles huh?" Tonraq grinned, "I'm your guy," he said. Mako could hear Senna laughing from the other room, and this made him grin.

"I guess I just wish that things had ended up better, or at least that I didn't feel so bad about it still. I've broken a few hearts, and I think I regret all of them." Tonraq nodded in acknowledgement. He took a moment to process and spoke softly.

"You will see a few women before you find one to really hold onto substantially son," He said with reassurance, "It's not so much about finding 'the one,' if you will, as much as it is learning, and who you become in the process of finding relationships. With every moment and every interaction you have, you learn how to connect, and this is what prepares you to find someone."

Tonraq sat back a moment, "I'll be honest with you, Mako, I don't really believe in the ideas of soul mates or 'the one.'"

"What makes you say that?"

"In all my experience, I have to say that lasting, meaningful relationships don't just happen. They are made with time and respect. Substantial relationships don't rely on spark or feeling to exist, they rely on friendship, security, and kindness." Mako nodded, acknowledging what was said.

"I know that my daughter was someone among those hearts, and I don't resent you for that, you should know," he said to him, "You'd be shocked to know how many women I saw before I had met Senna, I guarantee it." Mako grinned for a moment.

"What cued you off?" he asked.

"What do you mean?" Tonraq inquired, leaning forward in his chair.

"What made you think she was something different?" Tonraq thought for a good, long, moment.

"Truth is Mako, I can't entirely say. But I have to say, being around her reminded me of my mother. She cared about me in a way that always felt reassuring," he said. He kept thinking for a moment… "Being around her always reminded me of what home felt like… She felt like home, and being how far I was away from home when I met her… I knew then that I would rather spend my life with her than without her," he said softly. Mako thoughtfully nodded at this response.

"She felt like home…" Mako repeated, "I haven't heard it described that way."

"Yeah. It's hard to describe it any other way honestly. She made me feel like a kid again, and if I'm being honest, she still does," he smiled, observing her through the doorway of the chamber as she prepared something with Desna in the kitchen.

Mako smiled, "I'll keep that in mind," he said.

"Well, I know it's not too much, but I'm glad I could help," he said to Mako, "Don't worry too much about it though; You're a handsome young man, and you've got time," he said, patting him on the back, and standing to walk into the kitchen. In a few moments, whooshing of wind in the background took place, and everyone within the home looked around. Several loud sirens went off across the capitol, alerting all to take shelter immediately… It was here.

There was an unsettling moment before the arrival, and all who were present within the home looked around as the storm itself approached.

"Fasten down all the windows and doors!" Tonraq shouted. His voice echoed. Desna ran upstairs to the servant's quarters on the third floor to fasten down everything, and Mako Softly opened the door to Eska's room, finding the room empty except for her. He barred the door to the balcony and braced the windows. He made sure to do so quietly, as she was resting peacefully at the time within her bed. He made his way back out to witness another servant emerge, bracing all the windows of the second floor.

When the storm hit, it was like a tidal wave of freezing wind. The temperature dropped in the home and the walls creaked a bit, but eventually stabilized. The homes in the north were built for these winds. Mako descended back into the chamber where Tonraq sat as everyone settled down.

"So how long did you live in Republic City?" asked Tonraq.

"I had lived there my whole life," he said. Tonraq gave a long pause.

"I remember leaving my home, here in the North when I was exiled, did I ever tell you about that?" Mako nodded, grinning in response, "It was awful to have to leave so far away. My friends and family all left behind, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone in all honesty," he said.

"I grew up without having a sense of home if I'm honest. We were homeless for the longest time," Mako said, seating himself by the fire.

"How did your parents take it?" he asked.

"My parents died when Bolin and I were really little. I was eight, and I think he was four. They were mugged by a firebender," he said. Tonraq paused with a somber look.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bring something like that up," he said.

"Over time I've made my peace with what happened, but it still feels all so surreal to think about it," Mako said. Tonraq looked over at him.

"You really are something else son. For all you've seen, it's amazing how well you turned out," Tonraq said, "We're proud of you."

"Thank you," was all that Mako gave in response. Mako sat nodding by the fireplace. It was midafternoon, but the storm was thick enough that it seemed dark outside.

"Mako," called Senna from the other room. Mako rose and walked to her who called him to witness the servants gathered around the fireplace, desperately working to restart the fire.

"If the fire goes out in the main, the whole house will be freezing," she said, "Would you?" she asked.

"Oh, absolutely," he assured them.

"Step back a moment," he said to them, taking a bowl of tinder in his hands. Sticks and logs had already been manipulated into a pyramid, and all that was left was to ignite some tinder, but the steel wouldn't cut it. The house would begin to lose heat soon. He took deep breaths and allowed for himself to remain fluid and flexible. He gripped the bark and it smoked, lighting ablaze soon enough. He placed the sawdust atop the wood pyramid, and the fire continued to burn downward. He took very deep breaths, the way that Eska had taught him, and he meditated, and with control he exhaled over the logs as they all began to catch. Everyone felt the house grow very warm at once, some even opting to remove their jackets.

"Thank you so much dear," Senna commented, kissing him on the side of his face, "You're a lifesaver."

The doors were all quickly air sealed, and they opened the airways to communal circulation, which ran between homes so that the community could share warmth. Two servants went upstairs to cover the windows with wool sheeting to prevent the windows from allowing too much heat to leave, and they would stay up there to monitor the temperature, lest Eska get too cold. The doors in the residence came in the form of an airlock, so there wouldn't be too much trouble with heat escaping. For now, it was all a matter of time before the storm simply passed. All the servants and the family gathered closely together around the fire and talked among each other happily and softly. Many hours passed as they remained close in this way, many of those present opting to lay down for the evening. Everyone lost track of time.

Mako stayed up, watching after the fire. At three past midnight, a few of the servants sat with Mako and Desna, all drinking salted tea leftover from Desna's dinner to help them back to sleep soon, when out of the corner of his eye, he saw a hand wrap its way around the doorway to the stair well. Eska emerged, making but a few steps into the chamber before collapsing.

"Eska!" he proclaimed quietly, moving over to help her at once. He took her in her arms, rolling her over as the servants looked at her, feeling at her forehead.

"Her fever! It's out of control!" said one of them. Senna raised her sleepy head and looked into the situation, her eyes shooting wide open as she saw her niece fall over. For a dark-skinned woman, she was pale, and she had broken into a cold sweat.

"She needs medication, there's a camp just two miles from here," said one of the servants.

"I'll go," Mako said aloud. Tonraq, now awake, contested.

"You have to stay here, you're the only one who can keep the fires burning."

"Tonraq! You'll freeze out there!" Senna said to him.

"The storm has lightened up a bit, and I've braved this weather many times before," Tonraq said proudly.

"Then take Mako with you. I can keep the fires going, but you can't go alone!" she asserted.

"Alright," he said, "Mako, gear up. Dress warm, even fire won't keep you safe from the ice." There was a solemn silence in the room as he said this, and Mako nodded lightly.

Desna lent Mako one of his thick parkas and a pair of gloves, "We ought to see that you are crafted a good pair of moccasins sometime. They're a bit expensive, but they'll keep you warm, and you'll never have more comfortable footwear," he said strapping the parka close to Mako's body. He donned a fur hat that Desna placed atop his head.

"Thank you, Desna," Mako said warmly.

"Go now, get back as soon as you can," Desna said. Mako moved to the door.

"Mako," Desna prompted, Mako turned to him, "Thank you, for taking care of my sister," he said. Mako responded with a single nod, raising his face mask, and heading downstairs.

"I'm ready when you are," he said to Tonraq. The two prepared a sled from the cabin and would set off very soon.

"Look after one another, both of you," Senna pleaded.

"We will my darling," he assured her in a low voice. Soon they exited the front door into the air lock, and as the door closed behind them, Tonraq lowered the wall and they stepped out into the biting cold. They took turns hauling the sled for a while, trudging through snow and darkness. Mako held his hand forward as a torch to illuminate the area in the distance. The winds were at their backs, which was tremendously helpful, as if they had been trekking through an equivalent headwind, the journey surely would have been in vain.

They stopped suddenly at Tonraq's signal together. Tonraq ran off the course for a moment, defying the directions of his compass.

"Where are you going?!" Mako yelled, shouting over the wind. He dragged the sled after him to find him knelt over the snow, digging away through the powder. As he dug, he uncovered a face.

"Spirits! Is he alive?" Mako shouted. Tonraq put his hand over the man's mouth, removing the glove. He turned around and nodded.

"Alright, get him loaded onto the sled, and I'll wrap and strap him!" he shouted. They wrapped the man in a few wool blankets that they had carried on the sled and strapped the unconscious man down on the top of the sled. Mako continued to pull, though it needed much more effort than usual. Tonraq pushed from behind, and they moved into a double time pace. The snow was becoming very deep, and they rested their exhausted muscles for a moment.

"How far is it?" Mako asked.

"Pretty sure we still have two miles to go," Tonraq said.

"Damn," Mako muttered.

"We'll make it! Don't worry about it. Let me pull a little while and you push!" He commanded. Mako got behind the back handle of the sled and pushed. They moved at a gradual pace, still slowed but they were moving significant amounts. The hill's incline gradually increased, and they had to stop a quarter mile in to catch their breath.

"Damn I remember this not taking so much out of me!" Tonraq said, seating himself beside the unconscious man who stirred lightly. The winds had changed, blowing against them, to both of their frustration. Mako had to plant his foot at the back end of the sled just to keep it from sliding back down the hill.

"Hop on!" Mako told him.

"What?!"

"Crouch down over him and hold onto the straps. I want you to steer!" Mako said. Tonraq nodded, standing just over the weary man on the sled. Mako breathed in deeply, propping himself against the back side of the sled. He had never tried anything like this.

Rockets of fire burst out of his back foot, and they began to inch forward, battling the depth of the snow and the wind. He rested for a moment, beginning again. Tonraq looked back and understood. He extended his arms and waved them in a routine like a foggy swamp boatsman and they lurched to a start! They were moving, and this was a relief to both, laughing as they progressed up the hill, Tonraq clearing the path, and Mako blazing it. There wasn't any need to rest, as very soon they arrived at the shelter, following a beacon of light overhead.

Tonraq ran to one of the doors to the hangar and banged on it a couple of times. A man opened the door.

"We are here for supplies! We need a doctor, as we have an incapacitated individual aboard!" he shouted over the winds.

"Get in here!" shouted the man from within. Mako pushed the sled in through the very heavy doors and they were shut behind him. He rested for that point, breathing heavily, feeling a hearty pat on his back that Tonraq gave him and smiling through his exhaustion.

Within the hangar there was a massive metal object covered with a tarp. The owner, an engineer, had offered the hangar to the water tribe government to help with national emergency efforts.

"I am ready," a doctor waved to them.

"Good, we need for you to come back with us. Are you able to travel from here?" Tonraq asked.

"Yes, let me pa-"

"Hang on now!" shouted a voice. The National Reserve commander of the Northern water tribe, Commander Arnook, spoke out. Tonraq recognized his low, deep voice.

"What's the matter Arnook? What is the meaning of this?" he asked as a platoon filed into the hangar.

"We cannot permit you to go back out into the storm," he said.

"What do you mean? What is this?!" he demanded, raising his voice.

"Tonraq, the storm is getting worse than it already is, and we need for everyone to be sheltered in place. I cannot have you men out and around becoming a liability! It's too dangerous to allow you to go back outside!"

"Commander Telegram! We have a distress signal!" shouted a communication's officer.

"What do you read on the comms?" the commander asked.

"They're shooting up a flare. Someone is ill and will die in the next few hours if she doesn't received medication in the next few hours! They're shooting up a flair now! Approximately five klicks directly South of here!"

"Five klicks… That's where we just came from!" Tonraq shouted, "My niece, the chiefess is dying! We need to get home!" he shouted.

"I'm sorry Tonraq; my hands are tied on this matter. If you attempt to leave I will have to place you under military arrest." He said calmly. Tonraq turned and sat upon the sled. Mako took deep breaths, and both did their best to contain their frustration. The platoon filed back into an office, with Tonraq holding his face in his hand. Mako kicked around, taking notice of the object within the center of the hangar. He knocked on the metallic hull, and it echoed throughout the object beneath the tarp.

"Quite a beauty she is," said a very raspy voice behind him. Mako turned to look to see an older man smoking a pipe behind him, proud of what rested beneath the tarp.

"What is this?" Mako asked.

"What you're looking at is a historical artifact. I've been working on it as a project for the last few years as a hobby, going over and fixing all of the parts with a couple of fire nation students with the exchange program at the university," he said, "It was one of the few armor units remaining on the ground after the great siege of the Northern Water Tribe," he said, grandiosely removing the tarp to reveal a tank. Mako gazed at it in all its massive glory.

"Wow! I've heard that they were big, but this is massive!" he said.

"It is one of the larger ones! Plenty of room on the inside too!" he said laughing heartily.

"Does it still work?" Mako asked.

"I don't know. I mean, we've refurbished all of the parts and did some wiring, but the internal mechanism requires a powerful firebender, which I have yet to see come here from the National University of the Fire Nation," he said. He paused a moment.

"Tonraq!" he raised. Tonraq looked over to him, standing up at the sight of the tank.

"We added some extra features with some wiring and such. I'd always hoped to be able to use it to help someone in storms like these, but skimpy breeches in there doesn't like the idea," he said with a smirk.

"It just needs a firebender," Mako said. Tonraq nodded.

"Who can pilot this thing?" he asked.

"I'd be more than happy to. I couldn't help overhearing your situation, but I still don't know if it works yet, unfortunately. If we could get it running, I'll drive you wherever you need!" he asserted.

"Doctor! Grab your equipment! We're Oscar-Mike in five!" shouted Tonraq.

The engineer turned to one of his assistants, "You!" he shouted, "Go with us! We'll need someone to replace the air pump!" he shouted.

"I'll grab supplies and load them into the cargo bay!" he shouted with a hint of excitement in his voice.

The group collectively loaded up into the cabin of the vehicle. The inside was cold, and a bit greasy, but roomy, and all the metal parts looked brand new, as if it they had never seen combat eighty years ago. The engineer climbed through the hatch and down the ladder, turning a crank and opening a shaft, beckoning to his student.

"Do you remember how to pump air in son?" he asked.

"Yes, sir," he remarked. The engineer smiled and patted him on the shoulder.

"Listen here you," he directed to Mako, "We're going to need a hell of a lot of fire down this shaft to get this old junker to run," he said slapping the vertical shaft, "And that's where you come in, do you understand?" he asked.

"Yes sir," Mako responded with a nod.

"All right!" he said. He peaked his head out of the hatch, "Hey! Catch that cargo bay door for me will ya?!" he shouted to one of his students as the student snatched it closed. The man had been loaded back there in a cot, which had been used to carry the wounded a hundred years before.

"Are we all prepared?" asked the student, everyone shouted in affirmation, and she immediately shut the hatch and turned the crank to seal it.

"All right you old piece of junk," the engineer said in the pilot pit, "Lets see what you can do."

"You two on the shaft, I'll signal you when the ignition valve is open! When I break it open, give it hell!" he sounded. He reached and unlocked the security lock from the ignition lever, squeezing the handle and pulling it all the way back

"Now!" he shouted. The two burst air and fire into the shaft for a solid five seconds. They could feel the engine sputter, and then give out.

"Alright, give it a second."

They stood there, in great anticipation, "Come on," Mako muttered under his breath.

"Alright, let's try it again!" he shouted, closing the valve… "Now!" he shouted. They spat fire and hot air into the shaft, and could feel the engine turning more this time, but gave out, to everyone's dismay.

"Damn it!" shouted the engineer closing the valve.

"Wait, what about the engine block?!" shouted Mako!

"What the hell about the engine block?" the engineer shouted back.

"It's got to be frozen! If this thing hasn't been fired in almost a hundred years and it's been oiled, then it's got to be froze up on the inside. If I can just pump some hot air into the block maybe it will help it start!" he thought. Tonraq and the engineer looked at each other and nodded for a moment. The engineer stood from the pit and loosened a grip that fastened a pipe to the wall, pulling it away, and opening it up to mako.

"Right in there son! Goes directly into the engine block!" He said slapping the top of the pipe.

Mako breathed and lit a blue-violet flame from two of his fingers and shot fire into the narrow pipe. The whole body of the tank seemed to creak and shift for a moment, as everyone looked around for the origin of the sound. The engineer removed the pipe from his mouth in awe, and the atmosphere changed, as if the cabin had gotten bigger. Mako released, placing the pipe back on the wall and fastening it back.

"All right, now get back on that shaft," the engineer commanded, putting himself into the pit. He took a deep huff of his pipe, stuffing a little more weed into it, and squeezed the handle, before pulling it all the way back.

"NOW!" he shouted as they poured out fury down the shaft. There was a quaking roar of the engine and it turned over at once!

"Hell yeah! Now we're in business!" shouted the engineer with joy. Everyone in the cabin celebrated at the feat, strapping themselves in for locomotion.

The Commander ran out from their place in the office to identify the commotion before running over to block off the doors, "I order you to shut that down at once!" the commander shouted over the roar of the engine.

The engineer looked out from the periscope of the tank to the see commander before them, and he only laughed, standing in his chair, opening the hatch above him. When he arose, he took out his pipe, wearing a shit-eating grin, and he gently gestured for him to moved out of the way. The commander only responded with angry words and pointed fingers and the engineer sank back down into his chair, closing the hatch above him.

"Bastard won't move out of the way!" shouted Tonraq.

"Oh, that's only a bastard's problem," the engineer shouted, "Hold on boys!" he removed the parking brake and stepped on the gas pedal. The commander's eyes went wide as the tank came tumbling toward him! He dove out of the way, the spiked wheels of the tank digging into the snow just beside his head. The engineer laughed his ass off for a moment in his chair for a moment.

"Did you see his face!?" he snorted. Tonraq just grinned and shook his head.

"Yeah," Tonraq said, still shaking his head.

The tank was rolling at a tremendous pace, and the engineer flicked on the headlights and the beacon light which they had added for the purpose of navigation in instances like these.

"Visibility is damn awful, but we should be alright," the engineer said. Mako and the airbender continued to pour hot air into the shaft as the tank soon covered a mile.

"First mile on the odometer in a hundred years!" he shouted with joy. The students looked around them in fascination of seeing their hard efforts come to such fruition.

Soon enough Tonraq peered through the periscope of the navigator and witnessed a flare in the distance.

"Right there!" he shouted, "The flare is where we're going!"

"Right on it!" the engineer returned. Mako and the air bender wiped sweat from their brow and kept pumping into the shaft. He had run in power plant work for a while during his younger years, so he knew this grind, but it was still exhausting work.

"There! The woman outside! Senna's waving us down!" Tonraq shouted. The engineer brought the gas off for a moment, and steadily applied the brakes. And the tank pulled into the street next to the house, shutting the lights off and all. The hatch opened and Senna continued to plead before she witnessed a wave, and her husband rising out of the tundra tank. The others followed quickly.

"All of you get inside! Healer! We need you out first! The rest of you form a supply line from the cargo bay, we're gonna unload with a catch and grab line!" Mako shouted. Everyone filed out from the tank, Mako and Tonraq aiding them down and the two students began by hauling in the man in the stretcher who was awake, mumbling, and restless!

They filed the supplies from out of the cargo bay, and soon enough everyone was inside, and the tank was quickly housed.

"Where is she?!" the doctor raised. The servants directed him to where Eska was, and the students brought the unconscious man in with the cargo into the chamber.

"She needs IV antibiotics, now. I'm pushing some Rocephin!" He said, running a needle into her arm. She was corpselike upon her bed, and her appearance alone began to frighten the others.

"Take them both in the other room! You'll have more space!" The servants nodded and alongside the doctor they relocated their operation to the next room. The doctor set her down, hanging her IV and moving to the unconscious man observing his body. He squinted and quickly removed his shoes. His feet looked miserable. He quickly took blood pressure, and as he saw the numbers, he ran to his cache, grabbing a vial and pushing a needle into the man at once. The man stirred.

"He's diabetic!" said the doctor.

"Wh-What the?" The doctor stirred him further, drawing some ammonia inhalant which caused the man to gasp and his eyes to go wide.

"My- My kids!" he shouted.

"Right now you need to rest sir!" the doctor raised.

"What's going on? He's awake?!" Tonraq inquired.

"Please, you've got to help me! My- My son and my granddaughter left into the storm, and they didn't come back! I went out to look for them but I…- he said, nodding back into the stretcher" he shouted.

"Okay! Don't worry about, it. We'll get someone on it," the doctor assured him.

"Where did they leave from?" Tonraq asked at once, kneeling beside the man.

"Our yurt Is alone a mile West from here!" he said, "There's a big light at the front of it!" he said.

"Mako, ask the engineer if he can get the tank ready again, we may be headed out soon enough!" Tonraq commanded. Mako nodded. He walked through the hallway to bump into Senna who turned around and embraced him at once.

"I was so worried about you two!" she said to him.

"We're going to be leaving again here soon. The man that Tonraq and I found says he lost his kids in the storm," he said. She looked up to him nodding, "We're going after them so he can stay here and rest. Is this okay?" he asked. She nodded.

"Promise me you'll be safe," she said.

"I promise," he said to her, hugging her with a smile. He moved down the hallway to witness the engineer speaking pleasantly with one of the servants.

"I heard all about it, I'm ready when you are," said the engineer.

"Thank you so much; you have been vastly helpful to us," he said to the engineer.

"Thank you," the engineer said, shaking his hand, "I've been hoping to drive that old piece of junk for twenty years now, and you made it possible," he said, smiling, having removed the pipe from his mouth. Mako smiled with a nod.

"Happy to help," he said.

The doctor emerged into the room with Senna, the servants and everyone else. Everyone stood.

"They're both going to be okay," he said immediately. There was a vast, collective sigh of relief, "Her fever is dissipating, and the shot will leave her awfully sore, but she will be well in time."

"Thank you so much," said one of the servants.

"I'm going with you," the doctor volunteered to Mako.

"There will surely be someone in dire need, and I can't sit around here while that occurs," he asserted. Mako nodded.

"Alright, we'll take all the help we can get at this point," Mako said to them. Everyone began to move out, loading into the tank and preparing themselves once more for a swift departure. Mako slipped out for a moment, back into the parlor where Eska had rested. The man from earlier had been invited to sit on the couch, but it did not appear that Eska was conscious. He knelt beside her, wishing to check on her. Color had gradually begun to restore within her complexion, and the maidservant who had spoken to him earlier, laid a hand on his shoulder. He didn't want to touch her, as his hands were coated in grease from the tank now.

"You really are something else, aren't you dear," the servant said, grinning to him. He smiled.

The trek to the house was but a mile out, and thus, it was uneventful. They arrived, setting up a rotary beacon atop the hull of the tank, and knocking on the door to the yurt. A woman answered, ushering them quickly inside. It was a very old yurt made from wood and fabric, and there was a sole stove keeping the place warm.

"These people have lived out here nomadically for centuries," Tonraq stated, "How they've weathered storms like these so well, I don't think I will ever know.

"What is it that brings you?" the woman asked desperately.

"We found a man whom we believe to be your husband. He went out looking for his son and granddaughter, and we found him unconscious," Mako said, the woman's hand going over her mouth, "He's fine, he is awake and safe where we have him, but we want to help find your son and granddaughter is all. Can you tell me when they left?" he asked.

"They left but four hours ago, riding a winter-blooded ram-raptor," she said, her voice beginning to break, "They left out back. I don't know if the tracks are still there," she said, her expression becoming disconsolate. Mako and Tonraq looked at one another, Mako walked over to her and put on a stoic face, speaking very calmly.

"We will find them, I promise you. You should get some rest for now, we will be back," he said to her.

"Please hurry, the storm is getting very bad," she pleaded. Mako nodded to Tonraq, and they headed out back to look around.

"It's not likely we'll find any tracks son," he said as Mako scrounged around with his compass in hand.

"It's not about the tracks," Mako said, "It's about their direction. Why did they leave?" he asked.

"She said something earlier about finding supplies," Tonraq answered, "She didn't say which shelter," he said.

"Where is the nearest?" he asked.

"Not anywhere near here," Tonraq answered. Mako sat for a moment, and hesitatingly, he pulled out his notepad and began sketching the scene.

"This is neither the time nor place," Tonraq said to him.

"I know, I'm thinking, and this just helps me process things more… intuitively. I worked as a detective for years… I should know how to get around these situations," he said, thinking with a pen in his hand. He froze for a moment, realizing something

"What is it?"

"This area here!" Mako said, gesturing outward.

"Yeah? What about it?"

"It all funnels into that valley down there!"

"And?"

"The tracks are gone because they've been blown away, but that valley is very narrow,"

"… So it blocks the wind."

"And thus…"

"We'll find tracks there," Tonraq answered, with an approving smile. He patted Mako on the shoulders and ran to signal the engineer to start the tank once more. The tank soon roared to life, and Mako donned his mask once more, and ran over, boarding the hull and dropping down the hatch. The woman watched as they rolled off into the distant valley. Disappearing into the fog of the night.

"We're approaching the valley son! Get ready to hop out, and I'll let the tank idle for a little while," the engineer remarked. Mako threw his parka back on and climbed out of the hatch with an electric lantern. Firelights could not be relied upon in such winds, but the winds died down as soon as he entered the ravine. He scrounged around looking for anything to grab onto, and eventually found sizeable indentions in the snow that treaded through the center of the ravine. He waved at the tank and Tonraq hopped out himself to view what was happening.

"You're a real genius son," Tonraq smiled. The tracks dissipated outward from the ravine, but not before they allowed for some extent of direction to be determined.

"Fifteen degrees west from North!" Mako shouted over the wind.

"Come on! We got to get out there before this storm gets really bad or they won't make it back!" Tonraq reached back from the top of the hull, helping Mako back into the warmth of the tank still running.

"Spit some more fire back into that shaft, and we'll get going!" The engineer said. Mako removed his parka and with a leap, opened raw energy into the shaft. The engine roared and the engineer laughed, stepping on the gas pedal, and driving off.

"Do you know where we are going?" Mako asked.

"Yup, the big guy told me," he said with the pipe in the corner of his mouth and his eyes fixed through the periscope. They waded through large drifts of snow, Tonraq keeping a look out for further evidence of travel. The crew was occasionally thrown off with jerky changes of pitch. A half hour went by without success, and they stopped to reassess their direction, wondering if the refugees had maintained consistent direction throughout their journey.

"Surely they couldn't have navigated this valley on a ram-raptor, that would…" Tonraq thought out loud. The engineer set up a parking brake and locked on a rotor beacon that shined for quite a way.

"Gentlemen, I've set up that rotor beacon to shine for a good while. If they are out here, and they are alive, they will see it," he said, seating himself at the navigators table. Mako seated himself at the table as well, shaking his head, and wiping the sweat from his brow.

"What were they thinking," Mako said, "they were in way over their heads being out here!" Mako expressed with frustration. He leaned back. The engineer grinned a moment.

"Come here son, have a huff of this," he said, handing him a pipe.

"I can't do that… I can't smoke, it's bad…"

"Being too stressed out will kill you a lot faster than this will. I'm eighty years old, and I can promise you that," he said. Mako was very reluctant, before taking the pipe, and drawing a long breath through it, holding it, before exhaling the smoke from his nose. The engineer smiled, "Better any?" Mako nodded briefly, experiencing a bit of pleasant euphoria. He could feel his muscles relax. He nodded and couldn't help but grin.

"I guess," he said with resignation.

"Welcome to the Southern Water Tribe son; we don't do it all day, but we would if it paid," Tonraq said as the three of them grinned.

"Born and raised there," the engineer raised his pipe. They sat for a moment, considering all the factors of the situation. The tank remained warm on the inside. Mako put on his mask and cap, donning his parka.

"Where you going son?" asked the engineer.

"Stepping outside, I'm just going to have a look around," Mako said, "Close this door after me please," he requested to one of the students.

He opened the hatch and entered the cold out of his own will, and the hatch shut behind him as he trudged out. Visibility was scarce, but he could make something of his view for at least twenty feet. He tried illuminating the area, but all his fire had been smothered.

He looked across the sky, seeing nothing but fog and black. The dark was pervasive, but occasionally, through the clouds the moon would shine very dimly, being tucked behind the enormous storm. He was exhausted, and all his limbs felt heavy.

"Where could they have gone?" he muttered beneath his breath. He could hardly hear what he had said in all the wind. As he stood, gazing out, he witnessed a break in the clouds, and with this, light shined down on a dune of snow, and atop it, a four-legged figure stood. Its fur was very long, giving it a very fluffy appearance in the moonlight. It audibly mooed, making its way into a howl which reverberated across the landscape, other wolves howling in response, but this one was far more resonant, and from what he could see, it was bigger than any wolf he had ever seen.

The wolf gazed at him as he tried to make sense of what he beheld so far in the distance. As he found focus, he saw it turn its head to him Its eyes, were a bright teal, like tropical sea waters as they glowed in the afternoon sun, and they almost seemed to catch the light of Mako's lantern, glowing and illuminating the area around him. The wolf hung its head low as it watched him, and slowly, it turned and gestured, pointing just over the dune. Mako looked over to the tank, before turning back to look at where the wolf once was, but it was gone. As freezing as it already was, chills went up his spine and his hairs raised. He lit a fire in the palm of his hand, and trudged over to investigate, he found himself in a bowl of powder, but eventually made his way through. The fire in his hand was troublesome to maintain. He looked again, seeing the moon shine again upon the dune of snow, and he finished the trek to the top of it, standing in the light of the moon.

He looked in his immediate vicinity, gazing all around, but there were no tracks to be found.

"What the hell?" he asked aloud. The clouds shifted and he heard a howl. He looked all around him, bringing out the fire, and fully expecting to be swarmed by wolves, when out of the corner of his eye, the moon shined down once again in a deep ravine of snow and ice. His gaze was drawn to where the wolf now stood, at the bottom of the massive dune upon which he was now present. The wolf stared at him with glowing, cold, blue eyes, and hung its head low again before dashing gracefully away. He put his hand in front of his face to shield him from the snow, witnessing a lump of black in the distance, the silhouetted of something. His eyes went wide, and he gasped aloud, turning, and running immediately back to the tank. He clawed his way through incooperative powder that held him down and drained away at his energy. He finally reached the tank and banged on the hull.

"Hey! I found them!" he shouted. The hatch quickly opened and Tonraq immediately hopped out.

"Mako! What's going on?!" he shouted over the wind.

"Get in the tank! I found them!" he shouted. They both dropped down the hatch and closed the gate.

"Everybody wheels up!" Tonraq shouted.

"What happened out there?!" asked the engineer.

"Mako found them," Tonraq said.

"Leave the tank here! There's an emergency sled in the cargo bay!" the engineer shouted.

"You two stay here," he said, addressing his students, including the airbender. They opened the hatch and as soon as they hit the snow they acted desperately, unlocking the cargo bay, and withdrawing a sled that Tonraq would push.

"Alright Mako! Lead the way!" he shouted. Mako moved quickly through the snow, though it came all the way up to his hips in some places, he could still trudge his way through, the others following soon behind him. He tried to remember where the hill was, and saw it as he approached again, the fire in his hands glowing brighter with his heart beating. They approached the dune and climbed up, the beacon getting further from their sight, and as he reached the top, the other two eventually made their way as well.

"Down there!" he shouted. The other two looked around, gazing at the environment before spotting the silhouette of something half buried in snow.

"It's a Ram Raptor!" Tonraq shouted, "That's our clue!" The three of them slid down the hill to the ram raptor to come upon a less-than-pleasant sight for their sore, heavy eyes. As they approached they witnessed that the ram-raptor itself was dead, likely having frozen to death in the snowy weather, and whatever or whoever was with it had eviscerated the poor animal entirely, removing all of its innards and discarding them in the snow just outside of the carcass. The smell was horrendous; some of the contents of the stomach and gut had clearly spilled out of the discarded organs, and this could be smelled despite the bitter cold.

"What the hell happened here?!" Tonraq shouted. Mako got down on his hands and knees, digging around the ram raptor, and found an incision.

"I knew it!" he shouted. He held his breath and reached inside of the carcass, feeling the warmth of someone's breath.

"They're inside! They're inside the body!" he shouted, tapping at the bodies that stirred awake.

"Damn…" said the engineer, "I thought they smelled bad on the outside," he said, shaking his head. Mako reached in, pulling out the body of a young girl, cold and shivering, and Mako pulled out a fully grown man, hauling him over his shoulder onto the sled where he wrapped him in a wool blanket. Tonraq wrapped the girl, handing him over to Mako.

"We gotta get them out of this weather now!" Tonraq shouted, "Carry her! I'll take care of him."

The engineer shot up a flare over the path between them and the tank to illuminate the area, and they made a break for the tank at once. They arrived in a matter of minutes, and Mako banged on the hatch, and it opened from within.

"We got rescues!" he shouted, dropping down. Tonraq stood at the top, slowly dropping the young girl down through where the young airbender carried her to a vent. Tonraq and the engineer hauled the young man over to cargo where he too would be warmed for the time being, strapping him to the cot in the bay.

"Mako warm up the engine block! We need to get these two back immediately!" the engineer shouted, hacking away for a moment as he dropped down the hatch himself. Mako opened the mouth of the engine block when the engineer paused his descent.

"What's the matt-"

"Hush!" the engineer interrupted. The noise was coming from outside, crumbling, rumbling beneath them.

"Get this machine moving at once," the engineer commanded calmly but firmly.

"The ice is collapsing beneath us," Tonraq filled in, "Mako!"

"On it! Open the intake valve!" he shouted. The engineer pulled the lever and the airbender reared back as they fired energy into the shaft. The engine turned but sputtered out.

"Damn!" the engineer exclaimed, closing the intake and reopening it, "Now! Again!"

The two spit warmth into the shaft, and the crumpling turned to earth quaking, and the engineer repeated the process.

"Come on, work damn it!" he cursed through his teeth.

"Fire!" Mako shouted, spitting again into the intake, and the engine turned but failed again.

"Son of a bitch!" the engineer shouted as the ice began to shake the tank. The engineer took a large wrench and pounded away at the ignition pipe. Mako and the airbender nodded, leaping again to breathe fire down the throat of the dragon before the dragon awoke with a roar.

"Ha! Don't let anyone shy away from a little percussive maintenance! Hold on Boys we're on the move!" the engineer shouted as the tank lurched into drive. They rolled away from the epicenter of the collapse and one of the students peaked out the hatch before their eyes went wide. Tonraq snatched her down, closing the hatch.

"We've got to get out of here! Fast! The whole cont-"

"Shhh, we're going to make it! Strap in and hold onto the girl!" he shouted, tumbling his way back to navigations.

"Keep this course, full steam ahead! This will take us away from the collapse!" he shouted.

"Alright you rusty sack of shit, let's see what you can do!" the engineer said with excitement and a little bit of madness in his voice, pushing forward on the throttle. Mako and the air bender held onto each other, keeping one another standing as they continued shooting fire into the intake. In the back of the tank, the student strapped herself into the personnel chairs, holding onto the shivering girl who whimpered in her arms.

There was a sudden drop in pitch and the crew heard a massive crack before silence. They were falling! The engineer slammed a lever and out of the front of the tank, now descending into the abyss beneath the ice, fired an anchor, locking itself into the ice. The crew was thrown against the back of their division, and there was a massive crash!

The collapse subsided, not an uncommon occurrence during these storms. The dust settled, and the storm even began to recede slightly as if even it had been shocked by the sight of what had just occurred, and the anchor spike remained, tensely chained. The tank came roaring out of the fog of the abyss! Tonraq had grabbed hold of the table for stability and had been thrown nearly to the back of the tank.

"Spirits… my back," he said. The student helped him into a chair, where he strapped himself in, his back having seized up from the collapse. Mako and the airbender were both bruised from the impact but held onto one another despite this. Mako Grabbed hold of the railing to their elevated section, helping the airbender up despite the incline. The incline soon receded, as they reached the peak of the cliff, and everyone took a deep breath, their hearts pounding out their chests.

"Now let's get us all home," said the engineer, driving the tank forward from the cliff. The storm began to calm itself, and gradually the night sky made an occasional appearance, illuminated by the moon looking down on them. They soon rolled up again, to the back of the residence.

Mako threw open the hatch and ran to fetch the man from the cargo bay, as servants soon rushed out to aid him. The doctor, who had opted to remain in the cargo bay to look after the man was in shock after the trip but helped haul the man inside with his young daughter being hauled in by Tonraq.

Tonraq approached the home with a limp, handing the daughter off to Desna who quickly hauled the little girl beside the fire in the chamber where all had gathered.

"Sweetie, you didn't," Senna smiled.

Yeah… It's just my back," he snickered. Senna led him to a couch inside of the parlor, kissing him all on his face while he smiled through his sheer exhaustion. Mako invited the engineer and his assistants inside as he locked down the tank in place. The engineer extinguished his pipe, opting to leave It within the cabin, and walked inside with his arms wrapped heartily around his students. Mako looked around, witnessing the moon in the sky, looking down at him again. He squinted at the sight of it.

"Mako," Desna remarked, "It's cold out, come inside," he said. Mako smiled, falling in after he was ushered through the door. Mako folded the parka he had been given setting the gloves and hat atop it.

"I can't thank you enough for letting me borrow these Desna. They really saved me out there," he said.

"Don't mention it," Desna said, rolling his eyes. Mako stopped up at Eska's room, covered in sweat from head to toe, and exhausted beyond measure. She had been carried there after being issued the antibiotics. He knocked very lightly, to be answered by one of the servants with a candle.

"How is she?" he asked. She smiled and ushered him in. He walked in, beside her bed where she laid. She was sprawled out like a mess, but a beautiful one. He grinned at the sight of her and brushed his hand along her face. He looked over to the servant, and down to Eska again, very lightly snoring, and he leaned over, kissing her atop her forehead, before leaving her silently.

He made his way to where his mat was rolled up downstairs in the chamber and simply rolled it out and flopped his body down on it, not moving an inch. He had been nodding for the last hour, and his body was ready for the rest it was to be received finally. The engineer snored over on the couch, the students snuggling one another by the fire. The servants sat around the fire as well, some laying and others sitting. He smiled as his head simply rolled over and he sank into a deep sleep immediately.

Mako was physically active in his sleep, twitching and experiencing the occasional jerk. Some of the servants soothed him gently as he lay next to them, gently rubbing his chest until he rested again. Physical exhaustion always did this to him, putting him into a vivid, vibrant sleep, the kind that leaves one waking up to a sense of exhaustion, feeling like one could nap from having slept so hard. His dreams, however, were strange and unnatural.

Mako is restless in his sleep, tossing and turning and mumbling, as in his dreaming he is witnessing the scene before the masters. Again, he witnesses his greatest struggles and failures play out before him, before witnessing the masters pause, and incinerate him, as he wakes sitting up quickly and gasping.

"Hey sweetie, it's alright," Senna assured him as soon as he woke. She ran a damp rag across his forehead.

"Wh-What-?"

"You sounded like you were having trouble sleeping, so I came in to check on you," she said gently. It appeared that many of the servants had ascended to their rooms with the recession of the storm to rest. Mako breathed heavily, and he was sweating profusely, which he wiped from his face.

"I figured you must have gotten dehydrated from being out in the snow so long," she said as she produced a pitcher of water, placing it beside him, "How were your dreams may I ask?"

"Oh… umm," he paused, "I remember something I saw while working for Zuko. I remember being afraid for my life is all. I just saw it very vividly, as if I had been there all over again," he continued, wiping the sweat from his brow.

"That sounds rather unsettling to think about; I won't make you talk about it too much," she said to him. She paused for a moment looking around the room, "I used to talk to Korra like this when she had her nightmares." Mako smiled at the thought.

"Thank you, Senna. It's always nice to see your face," he said softly. She smiled very warmly.

"Always, sweetie," she said, "Perhaps I'll let you get some sleep;" she paused, "I'll be back." She returned through the door, placing a stool, and hanging from the ceiling a netted talisman before leaving shortly thereafter.

"Sleep well," she said to him as she passed through the doorway. He took part in the water, drinking heartily, nearly finishing it at once. He laid back again. The talisman gently swayed in the wind above him, as a mobile does for a child, and the sight of this felt almost familiar, he soon fell quickly back into a deep, dreamless sleep.

Chapter 4: IV: Portent of The Night

Chapter Text

Part IV:

Mako awakens on the chamber floor, witnessing the light coming in through the doorway, discovering that the storm has completely receded, and temperatures have normalized, but he has slept in slightly. He is dressed in a moment's notice and makes himself proper, finishes the remainder of the water on the table and quietly navigates his way into the kitchen. Where Senna and Tonraq have congregated.

Eska and Desna are sitting opposite one another, speaking quietly. Eska looks over Desna's shoulder and smiles, notably a bit warmer than her usual expression. Desna turns around and stands to see Mako leaned against the doorpost. She gracefully stood, the color having returned to her face, and she approached him where he stood.

"Please, join us," she said, with the sweetest smile he thought he had seen from her. Senna pulled a chair for him. He was surprised by their offer for a moment, before he lightly nodded, placing himself in the chair that was offered to him.

"I haven't told them all about our ventures yet," Tonraq said with a grin, "I wanted to wait until you were awake."

"Do tell us; we've waited for long enough," Eska demanded. He snickered. He began and Eska leaned over the table, listening very intently as she sat beside him, with the remnants of the smile still on her face. Desna looked over to her, noting her engagement into the matter. She had already finished the soup that Senna had prepared for her that morning.

"What happened to the engineer?" Mako inquired.

"Oh, he headed off after daybreak. He tracked down one of his firebending students through the telegram, and they headed off with the tank at dawn. He took the family home this morning."

"I was hoping I would get to see that reunion; I know that woman was worried sick for her children," he said.

"We were worried as much," Senna assured him. Desna nodded in agreement. As Mako had finished what had been placed before him, Senna took the dish to the kitchen.

"Is there any chance I could help you with that?" he inquired. Senna turned.

"Oh no, I promise I have this," she asserted, "However, if you are looking for something to do, perhaps I could have you make some tea," she said. Mako stood.

"That I know how to do quite well," he said. He returned, placing cups before all of those who were present at the table. Senna had also seated herself, and he poured a black tea with lemon for a morning lift. He served himself last as everyone else took part quietly. He smelled his tea, clearing his sinuses, and he sipped lightly and calmly, shutting his eyes for a moment. Tonraq began to tell a story of his time as a young man in the north, enduring storms like those of last night. Senna occasionally teased him about how exaggerated his story may have been. Mako looked over to Eska to notice her looking, staring rather, through a glance to the side. She quickly altered her gaze as soon as he noticed her.

Soon enough, Tonraq was invited by Desna upstairs to clear official documentation within Desna's office, especially statements pertaining to the events from the night before, and although Mako had again offered his service, Senna politely declined, shooing him gently back into the dining parlor. He sat down again, next to Eska, and took deep breaths, relaxing for the morning.

"How are you feeling?" he asked her out of the silence.

"I am a bit more at ease. My fever has receded with time, and this has given me time away from my work as chiefess, which has been relieving, to say the least," she said.

"I'm glad you're feeling better," he said to her, "Would you like to move into the chamber with me?" he asked. She pleasantly nodded, opting for the warmth of the chamber with the fireplace before them.

Their conversation continues softly as midday passes, and the two navigate back to the chamber to be seated upon a loveseat across from one another. She is cross-legged, with her arms in her lap while he rests one of his legs on another which hangs off the couch, his hand limp and brushed against his face. He notices a blanket folded sitting on a chair a little way away from him, which he retrieves and gently drapes over Eska.

"How is Bolin have you heard?" she asks softly.

Mako paused at the question, wearing a look of concern on his face, "I'm not sure," he said.

Eska tilted her head, "Mako, have you not written home yet still?" she asked. Mako shook his head, "Have you not at least told them where you are?" she asked.

"I haven't just yet. I'm still not sure if this job is something I'll have for the prospective year or so." There was a long pause as Eska squinted at him.

"There is something else I perceive," she said. He takes a moment and sighs.

"I didn't want to be found for a while," he said, "Not by Asami, not by Bolin, and certainly not by Korra. I wanted to get away from the situation, and I feel bad about it, which has kept me from writing even now," he said.

"You seem almost like leaving for work almost felt more like running away," she said to him softly. The remark was small, but it hit him deeply.

"It did feel a lot like that at first. I didn't want to leave, but it seemed like all my reasons for wanting to be in my hometown just spat me out all at once," he said, "I guess I'm most worried about my grandmother. I know she's worried about me, and I was already worried about her health." Eska attempts to stand from her position.

"What are you doing?" he asks.

"You and I are going to write a letter," she said, "I'm going to fetch a pen and piece of parchment," she said.

"Sit," he said, "I'll get it," he said.

"I am sick, but I can do this on my own," she contested.

"I'm know you can, but I just want to do it for you," he said. She crosses her arms as he returns.

"Alright," she said with her pen in her hand. The clipboard she is writing on will guide the lines of her calligraphy as she composes the letter, "Where do you want to begin?" she inquires.

"Where is there to begin?" he asked.

"You should first tell them where you are and what you are doing. You owe them the peace of mind of knowing that you are safe," she said, writing immediately. They navigated through different periods of his time away, writing away, filling up a few pieces of paper for front and back before finally concluding the letter. She places the clipboard down to look at him with crossed arms at the end of the bed. She places her hand at the crease of his elbow.

"I know they're going to be happy to hear from you Mako," she said, "Just give it time for them to write back. I'll write in permission for Bolin to share this with several specific people. Are there any that you have in mind?" she asked.

"Lin," he began first, "other than her, my grandmother and family, Ursa and…" he paused.

"… and?" she prompted.

"… Asami too I suppose," he resigned. She nodded, scribbling one last postscript down at the bottom text of the letter.

"There, it is done," she said, "that wasn't too bad was it?" she asked.

"… I suppose it wasn't," he responded with a smirk.

"Dear Bolin…," she read aloud

"I am safe, currently resident within the Northern Water Tribe, working for the government as a security official, having acquired sustained employment, which I will likely hold securely for the time being. Since I had left, I held temporary employment within the fire nation working as the personal bodyguard for the fire nation princess, Ursa, living within the palace. After managing to fend off the Ketsueki for an extended period however, my occupation was outsourced to the Yu Yen, and I eventually relocated here.

I currently am working as the personal guard of Eska, chiefess of the Northern Water Tribe. Since leaving I have had my eye surgically removed due to complications of the impact and have acquired a tattoo under the employment of the fire nation. I have many stories to tell you, and I hope to eventually be able to do so in person. Know that I love you and I hope that you are well,

- Mako

- I hereby request that you disclose this letter to Lin Beifong, my grandmother and family, and Asami Sato, addressing all letters to Eska within the palace of the Northern Water Tribe that I may effectively receive them." Mako nodded as she finished.

"Is this sufficient?" she inquired. He nodded for a moment.

"Thank you, Eska," he said, turning to her on the loveseat. She smiles sweetly with a light nod.

"I've been wondering about Bolin myself as of recent, as to where and how he found himself thereafter his 'boss'/girlfriend attempted to invade the entirety of the continent of the earth kingdom. I will make sure a copy makes it to the fire nation as well." Mako turned to her, looking at her as her gaze turned down to the letter.

"Do you still care about him the way you used to?" he asked. She recoiled at the question, immediately unable to hide her blushing by turning away from him.

"I always cared about your brother," she said softly, "I have come to recognize some extent of self-awareness in these last few years, and I thought very much about what had happened between us, and I understand a lot more about it now than I did before. I was socially and emotionally inept at the time, unable to communicate or relate to anyone except for Desna," she said to him.

She continued "I knew that I liked him; I liked him a lot, so I tried to prevent the relationship from dissipating, by controlling it, but that made it worse. When he left me at th…" she paused for a solid minute, taking deep breaths and allowing herself to calm down.

"I just… broke apart… I don't know," she said softly beneath her breath.

"It hasn't ceased to amaze me how self-aware you've become in these last few years," Mako said to her. She looks back up to him, "You're a completely different person almost," he said to her, "And for what it's worth, I'm proud of you." She gave him a pair of eyes, gracefully closing them for a second.

"Thank you… that does mean a lot," she said, "You should know that I am proud of you as well. You've come through so much since we've last met, and to have endured as much as you have while emerging still so respectable, is admirable of you," she said to him, "I'll still lay awake and think about those moments cringing and wincing at night," she said.

"You'll have moments like those. You learn through them, and believe me, I've had plenty of my own," he said to her, "I wish I had more of a backbone then. I could have prevented a lot of troubles if I was just more decisive," he said.

The two of them shared back and forth, stories, some cringey, and others funny to look back upon. They gently laughed at their own ineptitude for a little while before they shared a pleasant silence together.

Eska leaned her head over the top of the couch but did not find sufficient comfort in doing so. She attempted to lay her head over the side but could not do so in a very comfortable or graceful manner. She sat up and sighed, Mako noticing her frustration.

He placed a small cushion on his lap, patting it gently.

"Would you be comfortable with that?" he asked.

She nodded for a moment, laying her head upon the cushion. She found a comfortable position, and Mako covered her the rest of the way with the blanket. She sighed deeply, napping where she lay.

He swore to himself that he wouldn't fall asleep, but the routine of her breathing began to lull him into sleepiness. He hadn't slept much the night before, and yet here he was, comfortable, with a sweet, sleeping woman having laid her head in his lap, breathing softly.

He placed his hand on the side of her neck as she lay, stroking her hair gently. Her hair was rich and thick. He thought that the hair of someone living so far north would have been coarse like the mane of a horse-ram, but hers was different, it was silken, and delicately cared for her, much like she was.

Tonraq walked in, "Mako, have you se- Oh," he said quieting himself and stepping back out of the room.

She gently stirs, adjusting, groaning, and mumbling in her sleep.

Time passes and it is the mid-afternoon. Eska is asleep, as is Mako's leg by now, but he dares not move it.

He had always heard about the sight of someone sleeping being endearing, but he had never understood what anyone had meant. The servant from before peaked into the chamber where she laid, and she smiled at the sight, eying Mako for a moment before stepping back out. Soon enough she begins to stir, raising her head.

"Can I fetch you some water?" he asked. She mumbled something. Her eyes were half closed and her makeup lightly smeared.

Mako walks in to find a pitcher on the counter, the same one from breakfast that he used to make tea and prepares a tall wooden cup to take to Eska.

The courthouse had been filled up for the entirety to discuss the plan of action regarding infrastructural repairs related to the winter storm. On top of this, there was the epidemic to worry about. Although they had seen a record low in cases as of the last few days, it was still a concern to be regarded. The whole senatorial body wore scarves over their faces. Mako's was one he had, grey and woven with heavy fabric, ordered from the desert sands of the Northwestern nomads of the water tribe.

He stood tall among the body beside Eska, shifting his weight back and forth, between his feet. Before long, the court was dismissed by the judge who sent everyone off.

"Mako," she said to him as the administrators continue to stir and pass from the room, "I need to talk to you about something." The tone of her voice was different, he conceived that the matter could be personal. The room eventually clears, Desna having passed on, planning to meet the two back at the residence. Mako sits next to her place on the throne as she shuts her eyes a moment, decompressing from the meeting.

"Listen," she said to him, almost sounding uneasy, "I… have…" she thought for a moment, "There is an international banquet being conceived by a number of the most highly reputable individuals from every nation, and it is going to happen in Republic city within the next few weeks." She paused a moment.

"Is everything alright?" he asks.

"Yes, I'm just trying to figure how to say this," she said with a sigh. She noticeably blushed, and Mako grinned very lightly, being cued into what exactly was going on.

"For the last few years, my advisors have been pressing me to… apply myself into finding a suitor to take to such events." She then paused a moment.

"I want for you to go with me to this event… As my… prospective suitor," she said to him. He felt warm as she asked this.

"I think I would be happy to take you," he assured her. She wore a noticeable look of relief as she sighed and smiled, blushing afterward.

"We will have to find you some new clothing for the event. You need new clothes anyway," she teased, tugging at his collar to fix where it had been uneven.

"Will there be any backlash from the council about you and I being… 'prospectively' engaged?" he asked.

"I will take care of the council; they are under my hand as the chiefess," she said. "Do you have any clothing with you other than what I have observed up until this point?" she asked.

"No, everything that I have packed is pretty much all I own," he said.

"Wait…" she said, raising her head," you don't own anything else?" she asked him squinting, with a tilted head.

"Nothing else. Being on the streets taught me minimalism, and I have kept it that way since," he said. She paused a moment before taking his arm and dragging him out from the courtroom.

"Where are we going?" he asked.

"Shopping… We're going shopping, Mako," she said.

He laughed as she dragged him into a high-class department store.

He fixed himself for a moment, running his hand back through his hair. He looked around and immediately begins to feel out of place. He shuddered thinking of all the ins and outs of department stores that Wu had dragged him through.

Eska immediately consulted a middle-aged gentleman.

"Excuse me, I have a gentleman here in need of an outfit of royal caliber. I request that measurements of his figure be made," she said aloud.

"At once, my chiefess," he said, beckoning Mako into a back room where he stretched a ruler across his figure several times before drawing conclusive calculations and picking an outfit from a lineup.

Mako emerged with a draping, elegant outfit, much like what was once Desna's usual garb. Eska took the opportunity to thoroughly observe him from head to toe, perceiving everything in detail. She wore a confused look for a moment and whispered to the man again.

"I don't believe this is an outfit for you, Mako. You have a remarkably triangular figure that is being counteracted by the draping of the outfit, and we can't have that on a gentleman," she said.

"I-… suppose," he said unsurely. She tilted her head again beckoning the attendant, whispering again.

"We do have one or two of them remaining in storage, they've been put away for a few years, so they could use a little dry cleaning."

"Are his measurements sufficient?" she asked.

The man looked over his clipboard, revising the numbers, "Close to a perfect fit," he said, "I'll have him fitted, and I will arrange adjustments where necessary." Mako was beckoned again, moving into the back room where he removed the previous outfit, and donned a new one placed before him by the attendant. It was exactly as he had stated, a perfect fit, his form now brought out.

He emerges with a tunic with sleeves and bracers, an overcoat, a belt, some trousers, and a pair of fine moccasins. 

"This is actually… really comfortable," he said aloud, smiling at his appearance in the mirror.

"Something is missing…" she said, pondering his appearance. He was silent for a moment that she observed before removing the bracers that kept her hair to the side. She gathered Mako's hair, parting it down the middle and bundling it with the bracers. He investigated the mirror again.

"This would be more culturally suitable," she said. Mako admired the look.

"It's definitely an interesting look…" he said, squinting at his image.

"I'm glad you think so; I believe we have found a match," she said, addressing the attendant.

Mako observed himself in the mirror gawking at his figure for a little while before suddenly his eyes went wide.

"You're dressing me with your father's wardrobe?!" he proclaimed

Eska stood pleased with herself, lightly giggling at his reaction to being adorned in her father's clothing

"Your height, your hair, and your figure all make the outfit work very well," she grinned.

Mako shuddered, looking back to his image in the mirror with an eyebrow raised to the ceiling.

"Would you... mind taking me around in something like this?" he asked, trying to avoid the subject of her father.

"As handsome as you happen to be," she began, walking over to him, "I don't suspect I would mind any," she said, standing but a foot before him.

"Alright…" he said, looking back in the mirror. He did admire the look.

"Only because you're pretty," he said. She gave a very narrow smile, clearly pleased with her performance, and soon, after selecting another few formal outfits, which were also to be dry-cleaned, he escorted her to a gondola where they boarded.

It was late in the evening and the sun had settled on the horizon.

The electric lanterns were soon lit, illuminating the passes and waterways that ran throughout the city. The procession of the gondola was gentle and slow, the veteran gondolier demonstrating pristine form and technique that characterizes those of the Northern Water Tribe capitol city.

They delicately floated upon placid, freezing water, seated next to one another silently.

They looked overhead as lines draped across the ways with lanterns hanging, swinging in the winds. It was very quiet upon the waters, and Eska slipped her hand in between Mako's arm and his waist. She took his hand without much opposition from him.

He continued to gaze outward, with a slight shade of red to his face as she felt her delicate hand slither its way into his. Her heart fluttered and she shut her eyes for a moment as her face remained outwardly stoic.

"Thank you for taking me shopping today," he said softly, breaking the silence for a moment.

"I cannot allow you continue to walk around in such stiff, bland outfits, even if you are a professed minimalist. Thank you for consenting to being taken out this evening," she said to him.

He stepped off the boat first as soon as they hit their stop, extending a hand which she delicately took, making sure to not let go of it as she found her way to the top. They found themselves beneath a lantern hanging over them. The streets were quiet, partly illuminated by the light of the bright moon, shining down upon the two of them.

The two of them looked at one another for a moment, catching eye-to-eye for a split second, suddenly becoming aware of their eyes' contact with one another and becoming rosy in the moonlight. It was remarkably quiet at this time of the evening, and everyone was at home, with their families.

"Perhaps I should escort you home," he said to her. She looked to the side.

"Such is a valid proposition," she mumbled.

Mako extended his arm to her.

His hair had still been let down from their time in the department store, and the wind gently blew through it, causing the follicles to relax. He looked over to her, occasionally catching her glance; she was staring. She slowed the pace to a leisurely stroll, and they made their way down the paths.

"The night within the tribe is beautiful," she said calmly, "Let us take our time this evening." He looked over to her, nodding at the comment, and they slowly continued, therefore. The moon's reflection off the waterways was dazzling and bright before them. Mako looked up to it, pausing his walk for a moment.

"Is something troubling you?" she asked.

"No, the moon's just really pretty this evening," he said, gazing upward, before turning his glance to her, "… and you are too for that matter," he added softly.

She gleamed at this remark, her eyes sparkling with lights coming from lanterns, moonlight, and reflections.

They continued their procession onward, making their way into the district in which their residence sat, and found themselves at the front door soon enough.

The table was quiet for a little while at first as everyone simply lacked much to talk about. Senna noticed something different about the two who had arrived home later than their usual time and pondered this within her head.

"The administrative council is pondering the conception of a position pertaining to the spiritual leadership of the tribe," Desna prompted aloud.

"That sounds like something that really suits you actually," Mako put forth. Everyone else muttered responses and nodded in agreement.

"I have considered this certainly, however being a bureaucratic administrator of the tribe has gradually sapped me of energy. I lack the same fervor for spiritual pursuits that I once had when my father lived," he said.

"I don't blame you son, communing with the spirits was always a tough ordeal, even for my brother," Tonraq said aloud. Eska and Desna's ears both perked up.

"What do you mean?" Eska asked.

"He was always naturally inclined toward the spiritual, while I favored military pursuits instead, but his work was never done," Tonraq began, "He woke up before the sun rose for fasting and meditation, studied scripture for hours, memorized poetry, chants, hymns, and his day from late afternoon to late at night consisted of ancient waterbending routines and forms that I could never wrap my head around deciphering. He always came home exhausted. I started to get worried about him for a while, but I eventually decided that he knows more about what he is doing than I do."

"That's sincerely odd," Eska said, "I only ever knew my father to be relatively unaffected by his work."

"He took on so many responsibilities so gracefully that I eventually concluded that he must not find it difficult in the slightest," Desna agreed.

"Your father… My brother was a complicated man," Tonraq said.

Mako looked over to see Eska seeming somewhat downtrodden. Beneath the table, he gently brushes her free hand, and she looks over to him.

He mouths "Are you feeling okay?" To which she nods lightly but continues to look distraught about the conversation.

Later after the dinner, and after Senna caved into allowing Mako help clean dishes with her, he joins Eska in the chamber, by the fire. He sits next to her and places his hand on her knee, which she lightly brushes away.

"I'm sorry about dinner," he began, "I figured with everything at the department store that you may have been at peace with what had happened to your father; I didn't know it was still a sore subject." She sat silently, watching the fire burn within the hearth.

"I'll give you some space," he said softly, motioning to walk out of the room before he heard her speak.

"He would have let Desna die," she said in a soft tone. He turned around as soon as he heard her voice to look at eyes glistening in the fire.

"What do you mean?" he asked, seating himself beside her.

"When we were in the spirit world, trying to force the Northern portal open, something went wrong and… Desna was wounded, and egregiously so, but he ordered me to continue on without him, leaving him to die," she said. There was a profound silence regarding all that had just been spoken

"That's all he ever cared about. Korra always was the love of my father, and she got the all the attention and..." As she expresses this, the tone of her voice became so familiar. It was the way it had been when they'd originally met.

She closes her eyes and breathes. "He wanted his wife to birth the avatar, but received us instead," she said, breaking down.

Mako threw a blanket around her, with his arm around her as well. Her tears fell, sizzling as they fell before the blazing hearth.

She leaned over into him, and he embraced her as she silently cried. She knew well how to cry quietly, so as to not disturb anyone else.

Mako sits next to her as the fire flickers, and they sit in silence for a fair amount of time.

"My apologies, I don't know why this bothers me all of the sudden," she said. Mako handed him a new handkerchief, which he had bought to replace his older one earlier that day.

"Don't apologize," he assured her, "I enjoy listening to you." He stood for a moment, "I'll be back," he said to her.

Mako makes his way into the kitchen and returns with water, brewing a small cup of tea.

She wanders into the kitchen after him, "May I…" she begins. He turns to see her.

"I'll make one for you as well," he said, nodding as he hands her a tall cup of water.

After finishing tea, Mako cleans the remainder of the dishes and places them gently where they belong. He proceeds into the chamber to see Senna and Tonraq waiting for him. Senna stands as he entered.

"Is everything alright?" he asked.

"We wanted to talk to you about something is all," Senna put forward.

"I'm happy to discuss," he assured them, remaining standing.

"Well, we were wondering honestly if you felt like you were… welcome here," she said. He is a bit taken aback by the question at first.

"We've just noticed in the past that you always seemed to have been reluctant to be a guest. You're always trying to help with chores… We just were worried that you felt like you were obligated to do those things," she said.

"I-… I do feel welcome here," he assured them, though unsure himself. He sighed for a moment, and the tone of his voice changed "I'm sorry if I seem a little off about it. I've never really had someone so more than willing to offer up a place in their home and to help me in just these little ways," he said, looking up toward the talisman which still hung from the ceiling.

"Bolin and I lost our parents at a young age, and since then, we've always been out on our own," he said, "I've never had someone look after me this way since." Senna and Tonraq looked at one another, before she took a piece of woven fabric into her hands and approached him.

"I know that things haven't always been ideal between you and my family, but even with your history with Korra," she began, "We want you to know that we are always very happy to have you around, and for what it's worth… We still think of you as a son of our own," she said. She presented the folded piece with a set of bright eyes to him.

"I noticed that when you came here you weren't wearing the scarf you always had with you before. I figured you had lost it, or it tore, so in my spare time… I made you a new one," she said. He received the new scarf within his hands in awe of the gift, taking deep breaths as he looked at it, trying to prevent himself from breaking down.

"… thank you," he said very calmly with a smile. Senna hugged him where he stood and he returned the embrace as Tonraq stood, placing a hand on his shoulder. 

The next day was scheduled for there to be a public address regarding matters of recent insurgencies, and the entire security detail ran extremely tight, Mako being no exception

He memorized her walking path over in his head and points at which to stand and wait for her to pass or to walk with her.

Cue points,

Timing,

Perspective...

Everything was cognitively organized to be intuitively applied.

His hair was swept together in a neat topknot, embellished with a southern water tribe medallion which Eska had previously bought for him to use on the job to make him appeal more locally and less as a foreign influence.

He doesn't have time to go and see her beforehand, he had to make sure then block was secured, as the address was to occur at the civic rally point in the center of the city. He wasn't going to leave a stone unturned.

An hour passed and he boarded the stage alongside Eska, fifteen minutes ahead of schedule. They seated themselves next to Tonraq, Desna, and some of the administrative board.

"I hereby demand order and silence within the audience!" the judge declared, receiving a quiet audience in return. Eska took the stand, gliding along the surface of the stage.

"I wish to initiate this meeting by disavowing any association with the actions and/or desires of my father," she began. She spoke clearly and prominently with her chin up and her neck slightly craned forward as per her usual appearance.

All seemed well because all was indeed well according to his sight.

...He catches something;

Something like quick movement in the corner of his eye. He scans the environment, looking through windows when he sees a pair of lenses, peaking through blinds, to which he alerts Tonraq silently to not alert the perpetrator.

Tonraq sees the issue, signaling with his eyes and hands to soldiers in the area. Soldiers begin moving toward the building, while new movement begins spiking in the background, small squads of men, military aged.

He further scans the environment for sketchiness when he cues into a cord running underneath the stage. 

"Tonraq," he whispered.

"What else do you see, son?" he asked.

"That wire... running under the stage. It's not secured," Mako spoke softly.

"Check it out... I'll stay here on overwatch," Tonraq directed.

Mako went to investigate, tracing his steps back off the stage and into the chamber of a commercial building, where he heard grunting. He ran towards the sound, vaulting over furniture and opening a door to discover one of the guards had been locked in a closet, tied, gagged, and urgently screaming! Mako burnt off the mouthpiece.

As soon as the rag came off, "Protect the Chiefess!"

"What threat?!" Mako demanded.

"I was supposed to do structure beneath the stage today! These men tied me up and beat me!" he said.

Mako immediately turned to see Tonraq enter the lobby of the building.

"Mako, what's the matter?" he asked.

"Get everyone away from the stage; Protect the chiefess!" he shouts, sprinting down the maintenance hallways; Tonraq nodded, his eyes going wide, understanding the urgency.

Mako dashed down the hallway to meet two waterbenders who primed themselves to fight upon seeing him. With a punch he knocked one off his feet and with a roundhouse kick he put the other through a wall with steaming, purple fire.

He propelled himself to the end of the tunnel where he ran beneath the stage to find explosive charges epoxied to the underside of the stage, with barrels directly underneath. He had seen charges like these before!

He rushed back down the corridor and out the door, propelled with fire, to perceive that everyone had been brought off stage.

"Everyone get away from the stage!" he shouts over the audience, met with murmurs and whispers. Suddenly there was an eerie silence, and the seconds turned to minutes, to hours…

It was a silent moment, or so it felt, and the hairs on his neck stood straight into the airs behind him. Mako felt intuitively compelled to turn around to be met with a bright light and a crippling force which he met immediately with a wall of fire and tightly shut eyes.

When he opened them there was a profound ringing in his ears like the tone of a and a bright orb of fire spinning where the stage once was. Without thinking, he directed it upward and hurled it to the sky, where it would erupt in a colorful light show.

Mako set down his hands and deeply breathed in and out, having cuts and bruises all over from the debris. He looked down at his gloves and sleeves, to find the fronts scorched off, and his hands burned red and blistered, and looked around to perceive everyone silently staring at him, only they didn't appear silent, in fact they appeared uproariously provoked, running quickly away from the source of the blast.

Tonraq ran over and scooped him up, and attempted to speak to him, but Mako tilted his head gesturing silently to his ear "I can't hear you."

Tonraq pulled him away from the crowd and into the chamber of commerce, where Mako then forcefully took the lead and ran to the closet to show Tonraq that a man had been captured, but the man was gone, and his restraints were cast aside, as if they had been cut off…

Just as he turned around from the closet door, he felt something nearly tackle him in an embrace.

It was extraordinarily out of character for Desna to be this affectionate.

Mako tried to make out what he was saying but ended up just gesturing to his ears again. Desna then turned to Tonraq to discuss something, gesturing toward his own ears, to which Tonraq nodded.

Desna gestured for Mako to follow him.

They arrived at the security location that had been previously established for Eska to be evacuated to in case of disaster or emergency and they talked to Eska and as she nodded, she gestured for Mako to follow.

Tonraq and Desna ran back to the rally point location, to which Mako began to walk until Eska's iron grip caught his forearm, gesturing and mouthing at Mako once again. She continued to pull Mako along by his wrist demandingly until they reached a hut which she nearly dragged him into.

He could hardly stay on his feet as she hauled him around, as his legs were shaking beneath him, and his body tremored.

She gestured lightly a palm for him to wait in the lobby of the building, as he looked around a Salon of sorts. She then emerged from a door and gestured for him to come inside.

Inside the building were neatly varnished hardwood floors with tubs distributed evenly throughout, mostly women knelt beside them, attending to the people that were within the tubs, but everyone had been clearly deeply shaken by the blast, some rushing to Eska to muffledly mumble something to her.

She directed them out of her way as she directed Mako through by his forearm. He looked back to perceive all the group of women gawking at him, perhaps to wonder if he had been involved.

They arrived at a tub and a women gestured politely at Mako, before being pulled aside by Eska and spoken to. The lady nodded as Eska spoke to her and gestured toward the ears and hands.

Eska approached Mako and elaborated a gesture gracefully downward on her body.

Mako tilted his head a bit and tried to voice his confusion, for her to repeat the gesture.

"I'm sorry, I don't know what you're trying to s-"  she immediately stepped forward and began to unbutton his coat, then his tunic, removing his gloves and other articles of clothing, only to step back and repeat the gesture again with a bit of a foxy grin on her face.

He removed his trousers, albeit a bit nervous, and the woman directed him into the tub, in which he sat down.

Eska placed her hands on his shoulders, lightly pulling, and gesturing for him to lie back into the chair within. The woman attendant begins bending water back and forth within, as Mako can feel muscles, twitching, aching, and relaxing.

She takes his hands and presses them with her own, and as she does, they begin to glow.

As this happens, Eska gently brushes her hand around his head, directing it down into the pool. Eska kneels over him from ahead, and the nurse cups her own hands over his ears, and as she does so, Mako looks upward to her eyes, now sparkling with the glow of spirit water healing, and very gradually does he notice the swish of water in his ears, filling and draining.

She takes her cupped hands and delivers water with them to other parts of his face.

The nurse gently brushes against his eye socket, and as she does so, he takes her by the wrist. Eska just tilted her head, looked at him in the eye, her eyes still glistening, and he was captivated by the sight of her from this angle, letting go of the nurse.

She gently removed the patch and placeholder from before his eye socket, directing that the placeholder be disinfected and cleaned of debris.

The patch which Ursa had crafted by a leathermaker would be unfortunately unsalvageable.

His eyelid remained closed as she brushed very light amounts of water against the still-blackened tissue, and its soreness gradually released, only for Mako to relax within the pool in relief, audibly groaning as he exhaled. When she pulled her hand away, the tissue had made enormous progress, Mako raising his own hand to find that the tissue had been cleaned of most of its purple and blue color.

What flesh once felt porous and weak, now felt youthful and plump. His breathing began to slow down and his heart, once fiercely, and rapidly palpitating, now slowed and softened into ease

The nurse placed her hands over his ears once more for them to glow to life, as he began to hear very clearly, hearing brighter tones than even before he thought.

The nurse began again rocking the water back and forth as his body began to relax further into the water, nearly falling asleep, had Eska not tapped him on the face to prevent him from getting that far.

The nurse and Eska turned to one another and Mako heard them mumbling from beneath the water. Eska brushed her hand through his hair, gently lifting him onto a ramp at the back of the tub

 

"Can you hear me," she asked in a sweetened voice.

"…Yes, I can."

"Get out of the pool," she said. He edged his way out, and she threw a warm towel around him, relaxing him further.

"Thank you," he said. She simply smirked and left the parlor.

"Wait… where-" she had already left. She walked very quickly. He waited, shutting his eyes for a moment, attempting to become aware of what exactly was going on, and what had transpired in what was literally the past fifteen minutes. His headache had disappeared, and he took deep breaths to further calm himself, standing and wrapping his lower body with the towel while everyone within the parlor stared.

He became a bit self-conscious being so… exposed before everyone present.

He sat with his towel on the bench, taking his clothes. Everything was tattered and torn, scorched to a crisp. He pulled at the fabric a bit, and it tore much like paper. He audibly winced.

"May I take that for you?" inquired one of the parlor attendants.

"Oh… uhh, sure, please, I mean," he said, handing the lady the clothes as she whisked them away, hopefully to be disposed of.

The doors suddenly opened, breaking the silence, and Eska made her way through them from the lobby, with clothes that her father once wore held folded over her arm.

She made her way over to where Mako now sat, wide-eyed upon the bench and leaning against the wall, and she placed the clothing beside him.

"I brought you clothes," she said, interrupting his daze for a moment, almost startling him.

"Oh, thank you," he said.

The two return to the scene about four hours after the incident of the explosion, to find that most of the debris had been cleared and the area blocked off, and several associated culprits arrested.

"Detectives," Eska addressed aloud, "What is the status on the investigation."

"Securing the scene and gathering evidence!" the man saluted immediately.

"And the perps we located?"

"In custody and awaiting questioning Ma'am."

"I was a detective in Republic City. Is there any chance I could help the investigation?" Mako asked.

"No. Although such a matter has been considered, it was concluded that it would be best to leave you out of the investigation due to your involvement as a firsthand witness and/or victim of the event," the detective responded.

"Mako, perhaps it would be best that we return to the residence for today, for security purposes. We also need to update the rest of the family before Senna gets anxious," she said.

"Good point actually," Mako said. Luckily for him, he had opted to leave the scarf at home that day. He couldn't bring himself to wear it, lest it be harmed on the job.

As soon as Mako entered the residence before her, ushering Eska in, Senna stood from the sofa within the parlor and took both.

"I was so worried! Are either of you hurt?" she asked.

"Mako was a bit close to the blast, but he turned out with only minor injuries. He lost his hearing temporarily and we think he received a concussion, but after time in the healing hut, he cleaned up rather well," Eska described. Everyone in the room made an audible gasp and sigh of relief.

"He saved everyone at the meeting," she raised.

"Hang on now, Tonraq had just-"

"Don't you dare to sell yourself short here;" She interrupted, "I know how you are about these things, and you were easily the most decisive person in that situation, and many people would have died without you… many of my people, including me." There was an audible pause at her audacity, but she was correct.

"Oh… yeah, I guess I sort of did," he said. Tonraq enters behind them into the parlor with another sigh of relief.

"Everyone's fine," Tonraq assures, "Thanks to Mako." Tonraq patted Mako heartily on the back as Senna hugged all three of them.

Everyone moved into the Chamber, where they zoned in on Tonraq. As Tonraq began recounting the events.

He always claimed he was an objective man, but he made his stories sound grandiose beyond any believability.

"I'm telling you I saw it happen! He took down five men with a single blow!" he declared grinning.

"I believe you dear," Senna assured, "Anyone else however," she continued.

"Well take it from Mako ov-" he stopped tilting his head for a moment.

"Are those my brother's clothes?" he asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Oh… uhh," Mako paused.

"Yes, I took him to a department store where my father used to have his clothing repaired; this will be the outfit he wears when he takes me to the international banquet," Eska added.

"Oh," Tonraq paused, "I wasn't aware you were taking her to the banquet. It looks good," he said. Mako acknowledged him with a subtle nod.

Mako elaborated thereafter, explaining the circumstances of evacuating everyone.

"I just remember getting chills all of the sudden," he said, "I didn't think, I just turned around and put out my hands, and when I opened my eyes back up… I was bending the fire from the blast.

I remember getting up from the ground and pushing fire into the sky…" he continued, and as he did, Eska stared. She wasn't subtle in any way, just openly staring this time, noticeable by Senna, the servants, and Desna as well.

Mako began to nod his way off, and as he did, Eska brought his head over, leaning him over her shoulder and reducing his top knot, letting his hair down and scratching his head gently. He woke up later to a round of laughter among them at another one of Tonraq's stories.

That night Mako had been laid out in the chamber once more, He began to slowly drift off to sleep when he heard light, graceful footsteps. Thus, entered Eska with a small candle, clad in her nightgown, kneeling next to Mako as he drifted, until he rolled over and jumped slightly in surprise.

"Hey, what's kept you up?" he asked. She held the candle to illuminate him for a moment and get a good view of him, "Is something wrong?" he asked.

"You saved my life again today; that explosion would have killed me," she said as she set the candle down next to her.

"I know… I guess I feel bad being credited fo-" She dragged him into her by his jawline, locking her lips with his. The feel of her lips was warm, supple, and tender. She eventually let him go after a few seconds.

Mako reacted with surprise, "It's my job to save your life, you aren't obligated to reward me with affection," he said, but she responds with "This… is not payment," as she pulls him in again cupping his face with both of her hands. Mako was tired and it was clear, but after a few seconds, he placed his hand on the side of her face and returned the kiss

Their lips curled against one another as he brings one of his hands to her neck as the other strokes her hair, long and fallen to her hips.

She releases gently, "Believe me, I take nothing but pleasure in this," she airily whispers with a smirk.

Mako stutters a bit nervously, caught off guard more than anything else. As she sets herself back up to leave, Mako latches her wrist, "P-...Perhaps we can do it more often then."

Eska foxily grinned as she had done earlier that day, "We can arrange that."

She rose and left the chamber without touching the ground, and left Mako laid beneath the dream catcher with a beating heart and sweating palms.

The next day Mako dressed in his usual minimalistic uniform, due to the desire, so he explained to Eska, to preserve the freshness of the water tribe outfit for the date of the banquet.

As he and Eska cleared the door, Tonraq spoke, "Mako! You forgot something!"

Mako felt all around his body, not knowing what exactly he had forgotten.

Tonraq approached further, handing him a package, "You forgot this, son!"

"Oh! Thank you so much!" Mako added. He looked at Eska with delight, "These are letters sent from home," he claimed holding up the package.

"I'm happy you wrote them," Tonraq said, "I know they will have been happy to hear from you," he added, patting his shoulder, sending the two of them off to the courthouse.

They arrived very early, settling themselves alone within the courthouse together on the throne within the main courtroom.

Eska opened the folder, "There are three pages present, inscribed on front and back, from Lin Beifong, Bolin, and your grandmother."

He seemed subtly downtrodden for a moment, "…okay," he said.

"Would you like for me to hand them to you and allow for you to keep them private?" she inquired.

"Oh, I was actually kind of hoping you would join me to read them, seeing as how you were the one who helped me write it," he responded.

"Which one are you going to begin with?" she asked.

"Probably my grandmother…" The letter read very formally

"My Dearest Grandson Mako,

Oh how I have missed you in these times. Bolin has helped me move into a new apartment in Republic City, and all my children have also found places to live while I live with Chow, Tu, and Liling. Life has been made much easier for me in the city, as many of the things I once did by hand daily are now done by machines.

When Chow showed me to a box in the kitchen, I had no idea what it did, but he opened it, and told me that you can put food inside, and it will stay fresh! Being in Republic City has had us all eating much healthier food than we could find in Ba Sing Se, and I feel much better. I had never seen a medical professional in years, but I have seen one so often in my time here that I can walk much more freely than I could before. Everyone keeps telling me that I look ten years younger, but I never know what they mean.

I was so happy to hear from you when you wrote me, as we had all been worried about where you had ended up, and we hadn't heard from you in so long, but it has been wonderful to hear of you working for royalty again.

I should tell you that Prince Wu makes frequent visits to my apartment, and I am always happy to receive him. He has become such a mature young man so fast, and although he has expressed to me the troubles that he has experienced as the Earth King, but I have adored watching him grow as many of my own have done before, and I hope to encourage him.

- I love you,

Yin"

"Are you feeling alright?" Eska asked him

"Yeah," he said to her, "It's just been so wonderful to hear from her after being away so long. I was worried about her health for a little while, and how being away might affect her," he said.

"I suppose that I'm glad we composed that letter when we did then," she added.

"This is from Lin you said?" he asked.

"Correct," she answered, "May I inquire as to who this is?"

"Lin is the Chief of Police in Republic City, and one of my closest friends," he answered. The letter was far more amiable, however, than what he would usually expect from Lin.

"Mako," she began,

"I am pleased to hear that you have found yourself working for royalty again. I can't help but admit how deeply worried I was for you after you had been discharged. I tried all that I could, and I couldn't help but feel as if I had failed you.

A month after you had left, things were still stressful around HQ, and while in the middle of a major meeting with city officials, I suffered a heart attack, and later a stroke." Mako gasped at this news, pausing his reading, but continuing later.

"I was in the hospital for seven weeks, requiring triple-bypass surgery, and I was in rehabilitation for many months after that. With this event, I knew I had to make the decision to retire. When I had finally resigned officially, I was lost, but my sister Suyin found me and pulled me out. She brought me back to Zaofu where therapy continued, and they helped me to explore my emotions and many past traumatic events over the course of my policing career through therapy and counselling.

As much as I loved my work as chief, I must say that my sister has been the best thing to have happened to me. She aided me, nursing me back into good health, and eating the food served in her kitchens has helped my well-being tremendously, bringing down my blood-pressure substantially.

I continue to practice metalbending on a daily basis and have found the support of my sister in reclaiming my abilities through rehab. I hope in the future that I can come around to teaching students with her, but I must say that I've become acutely aware of how short my patience often is, and thus I have found the need to work to remedy this.

I was very happy to hear that you found some substantially supportive work. I got wind that you had been discharged from work in the Fire Nation, and I tried to reach out to you, but Suyin suggested on behalf of my health that I take things easy for the next few months.

I know that you and I have always been mostly professional in our relationship, but you should know that I have always thought of you much like a son, and if I ever had a child, that I would want them to be as courageous, loving, and dutiful as I have always known you to be.

Be safe out there kid,

-Lin Beifong"

"Wow," he said aloud. He moved his thumb over the Beifong seal, imprinted at the bottom of the page

"She sounds very proud of you," Eska said.

"I was worried about her too. She started to get worse as things broke down in the city. I'm so happy for her," he said.

"Let us hear about Bolin," she said.

"This letter says that Opal and Bolin wrote it collaboratively," he said.

"Who is Opal?" she asked with a head tilt.

"Oh, uhh," he paused for a moment, scratching his neck.

"Mako, you can tell me if he has found someone else; It will not hurt my feelings," she assured him.

"Opal is an airbender that Bolin started seeing when we went to Zaofu for the first time; she is Lin's niece."

"I see, perhaps reading the letter now," she proposed.

"Dear Mako,

I should tell you that I, Opal, am writing this with Bolin's collaboration, as he still needs some grammar and spelling work when dealing with writing, which I have been remedying with regular reading and writing sessions that we share together in the evenings," she wrote.

"That is remarkably kind of her," she said, "I'm glad he's found someone who is good for him in that way." Mako smiled and nodded as he continued to read…

"Bolin resigned as an officer and personal assistant to the president shortly after Lin's retirement due to her heart attack and is now working among the air acolytes as he and I travel, living among the air nomads. He has personally seen to aiding the air nation with infrastructure work and reconstruction. The temples had begun to be very unstable and unsuitable for habitation after so many decades without any maintenance, but Bolin came in and fixed up the temples left and right, and we all feel much safer thanks to him.

We rebuilt the Northern air temple to Tenzin's envisionment, and it is now home to numerous herds of bison.

We were so happy to hear from you again when you wrote, as we were both bored in Republic City and we were worried about where you had ended up working. You should know that we both miss having you around a lot. You were always a really calming person, and it was good to see you at the end of the day.

We should tell you that we heard about the storm in the North Pole! We have always been proud of you, but we both bragged about you to everyone we knew when we heard of how heroically you acted that day, going out and saving people with an old fire nation tank. It was an airbender that came to us the other day that had told us about it, telling us he was with you in the tank that day, and he said your firebending was some of the hottest he had ever seen!

We are really glad to know you are okay, and we are glad you have found good work in the Northern Water Tribe, Bolin sends his best wishes to Eska and Desna," she wrote as the two of them smiled together at the remark.

"We miss you; we love you and hope to see you again soon!

- Opal and Bolin"

"That was really refreshing to hear in all honesty," Eska said.

"I think so too honestly. I love my brother, and I'm happy that Opal is helping him with his reading and writing. He and I never really got a proper education, and most of what we learned we picked up from other kids on the streets. Being a cop, I had to write a lot of reports, and Lin one day came up to me and asked why there were so many spelling errors. Beifong ended up teaching me well, and made me read and write reports, statements, notices, everything until I was fluent with typing, reading, writing, and used good grammar."

"That is remarkably kind of her. Perhaps you and I ought to find our own time for literacy," she said to him.

"I think I'd like that," he returned, "That's the last letter, correct?" he asked.

"Such is corr-… actually, there appears to be another," she added, correcting herself. He perked up at the remark.

"This one was folded, and thus it fell beneath the others in the package," she said, removing a folded letter on luxurious parchment, "It has been formally sealed," she added, handing him the letter. He broke the seal and opened the letter, beginning to read.

"Dear Mako,

I was very happy to hear from you, as it broke my heart to see you leave. I'm glad that you have found work that suits you. With this letter, I hope you don't mind if I also update you on Korra's situation, as much has transpired since you left," she wrote.

"This should definitely be interesting," Eska remarked, zoning into what was being read.

"Future Industries suffered with the decimation of Republic City, but with time, it has gradually become a very lucrative business again. The Satomobile has become a top-shelf product across the world, being driven often by government in the earth kingdom. With the exhibition of military prowess of the Earth Empire and future industries, the world decided soon that more modern technologies were necessary to maintain balance and order, and so my company has found consumers all over.

Korra has gotten substantially better I will say for a number of reasons, but I must tell that before she got better, she became much worse," Mako and Eska looked at one another with concern.

"Her fits became stronger, and she started to have flashbacks, and we began to think that something was seriously wrong with her. She would often go into the avatar state in her sleep or while eating or at random times throughout the day or have outbursts at nothing at all. We thought it was just anger issues at some points, but then she started to have seizures. Over time I begged her to see a doctor, but she refused, claiming that she felt that she was fine.

After another outburst, I finally told her I couldn't continue to be with her if she refused to see a doctor or to get help from a counselor. I cried all night the day I had to draw the line like that.

She began seeing a psychiatrist and a counselor, and the psychiatrist went out on a limb, and scheduled a scan of her body, and when we got the results back, it turns out that her adrenal glands, her brain, her kidneys, and her liver were all RIDDLED with tumors!

We think it was a lasting effect of the poison that was in her for system for so long, and luckily, none were metastatic, cancerous, or inoperable, and she endured seven different surgeries to have them all removed. I have her under my healthcare plan, so I was able to get her into a good hospital," she wrote.

"Wow… That's…" he began, "That's crazy!" Eska was as confounded as he was.

"You should know that she feels very remorseful about how she behaved and hasn't stopped apologizing since then. She said she misses you, and wishes she could talk to you again, to hopefully make things right one day. I have decided to maintain the confidentiality of our correspondence, however.

I have wondered how everything has turned out for you physically, and I hope that your eye and your face have healed okay," she wrote. Mako and Eska looked at each other and winced.

"I hope that things go well working in the North, and I must say that I miss you a lot

Take good care of yourself,

- Asami Sato"

"This is most unfortunate to hear about Korra's condition, but I suppose that her behavior not being of her own true character is relieving to know," Eska added.

"I'm really glad they are both okay. It makes me happy to know that things turned out alright," he said to her.

"Perhaps if we write more letters to the people we love then we can hear more often about how well they are doing," she prompts him.

"Alright-alright I suppose you're right," he said with a grin, "I was hoping anyway that we could write more together in the future anyway," he said to her.

"Such sounds like a wonderful proposition," she responded sweetly.

The courtroom eventually filled with ministers and magistrates, and finally the judge that everyone revered.

"Order in the courtroom at once!" he demanded, silencing all the senators present. He took a moment of silence to prepare his statement.

"Today we have gathered for a brief meeting to discuss the nature of the position of supreme spiritual minister and its establishment in the office of the government of the Northern Water Tribe," he began, rambling on with technicalities and specifications of the law.

This superfluous speaking would be enough to lull even the most experienced of lawyers into a deep sleep. Had Mako not have been standing through the course of the meeting, he may have fallen asleep himself.

"I inquire the members of the court herein this as to who may present themselves as viable candidates or with admirable nominations in mind?" The audience took a moment to translate what he had just rambled on regarding, and began whispering among one another for ideas, however, nobody stood with a valid candidate to put forward. Mako and Eska looked at one another, before she stood, and the whispers across the room immediately silenced out of respect.

"I nominate Chief Desna for the aforementioned position," she proposes. The crowd clearly expressed its approval through nods and brief applause of the proposal.

Desna looked around the room before rising himself, silencing the audience, "I appreciate the sentiment and the respect of the position offered; however it has come to my recent attention that I do not feel capable of personally managing so many positions of leadership within the tribe at the same time. There is a tremendous amount of responsibility on the shoulders of both of those positions, and thus I believe that I will be overwhelmed to the extent of poor performance," he elaborates, looking over to his sister who nods in respect.

"Therefore, the vote among the court to elect a representative to the position of supreme spiritual minister of the Northern Water Tribe is to be held in exactly seven days!" the judge declared. The room was silent in response.

"I wonder about an associate position," Mako thought to himself softly.

"You what?" Eska inquired. The court suddenly turned their eyes toward Mako, and he quickly became self-conscious.

"My apologies, Chiefess. I understand that it is not my place to-"

"What was it that you said Mako?" she pushed again.

"I-… suppose I had wondered about an associate chief position, that the two chiefs may delegate much of the minutiae of daily politics to that they wouldn't be so overwhelmed in time and energy. It would open the opportunity to train a new person for work as a judge or chief of another province, and it would allow the two chiefs the energy and time to engage in their community more often," he proclaimed clearly before the court. There were several nods of approval.

"Such a proposition…" Eska said looking over to her brother with a considering look on his face, "Actually does not seem entirely out of the question. It would also allow for a person to take hold of the chain of command in the case that we are unavailable," she thought out loud.

"Judge, Will you propose this formally?" Desna inquired.

"All in favor of the establishment of such a position?" the judge prompted, with overwhelming success throughout the court.

"With such clear consensus among the court, I inquire as to who may present a nomination or volunteer?" The courtroom was filled with clamor and murmurs as Eska turned to smile at Mako sweetly. A representative speaker stepped forward before the court.

"We nominate Tonraq of the Southern Water Tribe," said a voice.

Both Desna and Tonraq stood, "Tonraq has expressed no desire for such a position, and regardless of our desires for his service to us, he still has an obligation to the South from which he is now on sabbatical," Desna addressed with Tonraq nodding in approval.

The courtroom continued to murmur and clamor until silence fell with indecision, and thus Tonraq declared the discussion concluded, Beckoning Mako for a moment and requesting of the judge a brief recess of the court which the judge immediately approved… to his own relief, flopping back down in his chair from his podium. Mako follows Tonraq out into a private room, locking the door behind him where he crosses his arms wearing a thoughtful look.

"I'm sorry, I knew it wasn't my place to speak or produce a proposition within the court, as I am not an administrator or representative," he said.

"Son, that's not what I was going to say at all," Tonraq remarked with a slight grin.

"Oh… what is it you wanted to talk about then?"

Tonraq paused putting his index finger into Mako's chest, "You have made an excellent name for yourself in this tribe in these last few months, how would you like to take on such a position yourself?" he asked. Mako was floored by the proposition.

"But… I was never born in the Northern Water Tribe, nor am I even a citizen really," he said.

"I had that taken care of, and we've elected outsiders plenty often before," he responded.

"I like working with Eska, will this compromise my position as her guard?"

"You will likely be seeing her more often as associate chief, and your position there will eliminate the need for her to have a bodyguard altogether," he responded, "Not to mention a substantial bonus to your salary." Mako paused with a very thoughtful look…

"I would be happy to see to it, but only if the court likes it," he expressed. Tonraq nodded respectfully.

They both return to a silent, attentive courtroom and all eyes quickly shift toward the two emerging before them, standing side by side as Tonraq speaks, "I propose that Mako, son of San, and hero of the Northern Water Tribe inherit the position," he said.

There was immediate tumult within the senate.

Desna stood, silencing the audience, "With such a close personal relationship with the chiefess, such a nomination would not be advisable I suggest." The crowd further discussed, finally bringing forth a speaker to represent their consensus.

Eska appeared suddenly very anxious, looking back and forth between her brother, Tonraq and Mako. Her eyes were wide.

"We the court, despite our consensual approval, have decided to leave the decision to a public vote that the citizens will be consulted on the matter." The Senate raised several other candidates before soon enough, the meeting had ended and the room was vacated quickly thereafter, leaving Mako, Eska, and Desna.

"Are you wanting to go somewhere this afternoon?" he asked her.

"I believe the most ideal decision at the moment would be to head home," she said.

"Okay," he said in response to her as she stood immediately to leave. He looked over at Desna who appeared to wear a somewhat disappointed face, before turning to leave himself. He ran to catch up with Eska who had already left the room.

"Hey, are you okay?" he asked her, placing a hand on her shoulder from behind. She immediately and forcefully brushed it away from her.

"I don't want to talk about it at the moment," she responded, matter-of-factly. He walked with her down the path, but she placed at least three or four feet between the two as she walked.

"Hey, Did I do something wrong?" he asked, stepping in front of her. Suddenly felt the floor shift, and he was five feet to the side, as she walked right by him, without uttering a word.

"Oh…-Okay," he said, sounding somewhat discouraged. He continued to walk behind her, silently, for the remainder of the journey home. He had never felt this… invisible?

The dinner that evening wasn't filled with storytelling or the laughter that it usually was, in fact it was dreadfully silent, with much tension within the room.

"May I ask what has everyone so quiet this evening?" Senna inquired.

"Not much to talk about I suppose," Mako answered.

"Well, what all happened in court today?" She asked.

"Mako was nominated for the position of associate chief," Desna countered immediately. Senna went wide-eyed, but not so much in a positive way.

"Well I give you my… congratulations," she said in what seemed an uncomfortable manner.

"Thank you," Mako said silently, though he said nothing else that evening. Everyone soon left to their rooms, shutting their doors behind them except for Mako and Senna who stayed within the kitchen, managing the cleaning.

Mako proceeded with his usual method of drying dishes, turning all the water on the surface into steam, when he took another dish and paused for a long moment.

Senna turned to notice him, "Is something alright dear?" she asked. He hesitated.

"Have you noticed Eska being… distant recently?" he asked.

She immediately looked nervous, scratching her neck, and looking all around, "Well, I suppose she is a busy girl, and she does have a lot on her mind…" she said wearing a smile, but the look he wore said he didn't buy it.

"Mako, there is something wrong," she resigned, "And it is about the politics of what happened today, but I think it would be best that you discuss it with her instead of me," she said to him.

"That's just the thing actually, she hasn't talked to me since we left the courthouse," he said. She bit her lip and sighted for a moment.

"I suggest you give it time for her to settle down a bit, and then try again later," she said, "She and I have discussed the matter, and I have to say that it is very complex," she said.

"Okay, thank you, Senna," he said. She hugged him in the kitchen.

"You should get some rest this evening; I promise you that she will come around," she assured him. He made his way into the chamber and readied himself for rest with deep breathing.

Mako tossed and turned at night, unable to sleep, still thinking and worrying about the matter, when he heard a faint sniffle from the other room. It was in the parlor, he saw, before the fire, sat Eska around midnight in her nightgown.

He debated for several minutes whether to go to her or simply let her be, and decidedly, he picked up a blanket and silently moved into the other room, Senna and Tonraq already upstairs and asleep.

He gently and quietly spread the blanket from behind her and attempted to drape it over her back and shoulders.

"I can make the position not happen." He said as she jumped, not startled but quick.

"The decision is final, and your PR is legendary, there isn't any way you won't make it." She said, throwing the blanket back off her.

"Why is this a problem?"

She stood from where she once sat, "Because the Chief is not allowed to be romantically involved with anyone from the Administrative board. As soon as you take the position I won't be able to do these things with you. I can't go to dinner with you, I can't go to banquet with you, and I can't-"

"Can't what?"

"Never-"

"Don't say that; I'm here, tell me what you were go-"

She revealed from within the sleeves of her nightgown a familiar necklace as she hid her face from him.

He looked at her, her makeup running the way it had on a previous day, as she looked at him her head tilted slightly to the side and away as tears began silently rolling down her face. He stood there in awe.

"Am I… can I n-?"

He slowly moved forward placing his hand beneath hers, his other on her shoulder.

"Am I… so…

…hard to love?"

Mako felt a compulsion, and gently took her in his arms. From her shoulders.

She sank into him and wept quietly as he held her tightly. He saw a shadow move and looked over to see Senna in the corner of the room, having heard whispers.

She placed her hands over her heart and bawled a little before ascending the steps once more.

They stood there in the silence, only broken by the crackling of fire and the sniffles of a broken-hearted woman.

"I'm sorry… I didn't know." He said, gripping the necklace.

"I didn't know about the rule, and I didn't-" he paused…

"I love you."

She paused and breathed deeply and held tighter to him. He felt unburdened saying this.

"I do love you," he whispered again. There passed a long moment with her in his arms before she eventually fell silent.

He swept up her legs and carried her to the couch, holding her there in a bridal fashion.

They said nothing more, they just held onto the necklace and one another until they both fell asleep.

When he woke later that night, the necklace was gone, as was she. He was sweating. He returned to the chamber where his mat laid and spread out upon it to cool off, and there he fell asleep.

That morning, Mako woke very early, even though he wasn't on duty until the mid-afternoon. He formally dressed in one of his stiffened outfits and set off to the courthouse where he found Tonraq bright and early as well before the sunrise.

"Tonraq! I need to talk to you!" he stated immediately.

"Oh? Is everything alright son?" he asked.

"Something went wrong last night about the race. A detail got overlooked."

"Look, I promise this tribe lov-"

"Eska wants to be married to me," he said. Tonraq was floored his gloved hand running over his hair.

"This is news… this is news," he said, a bit wide-eyed.

"I didn't know when I agreed to the position, and I need to drop out as soon as possible!" he said.

"Mako… there's something I've got to tell you," He began, "The only way that you can drop from this position is to nominate a new, more viable candidate."

"What? What do you mean?" he asked.

"You can't drop out of the race that way, or it could permanently stain your reputation. Even if you did drop from the race to marry her, the council could throw her out from her position."

"Okay, where do you think I could find a more viable candidate?" he asked.

"I… I don't think that you can, son. The people love you," Tonraq responded.

Mako paused, leaning up against a wall for a moment with his hands running through his hair. He had been sweating and he felt sour in the stomach, "What have I done?" he asked.

"Hang on now, this isn't your doing entirely, you suggested a position that you were wholly intending on filling so you could serve the tribe," he began, "Such is an honorable thing, but bureaucracy and rules prohibit such a position from being intermarried with one of the chiefs, and you simply did not know this," he said.

Mako heard this and closed his eyes to take a very deep breath.

Tonraq sighed, "I suppose I could take this on myself," Tonraq responded.

"Hang on, I don't want you bearing the weight of this. You have a responsibility to the South, and I know that you don't want or need this," Mako responded, "What about the other candidates?" he asked. Tonraq hesitated.

"There is… one, who was nominated," he said, "His name is Hotah," Tonraq muttered with disdain.

"Wait… isn't he the judge that-"

"Worked for my brother and tried to condemn me to death?" Mako ran one of his hands back through his hair.

"Was he never put in jail?" Mako asked.

"It is next to impossible to put a man with so many political and legal connections like Hotah in a prison for very long… unfortunately," Tonraq said.

"Okay… so that definitely isn't an option," Mako responded, "I'm going to let you go, and I'm going to take some time to figure this out."

"I'll let you do that," Tonraq said, "Take some time to calm yourself first. It won't help you to think while you're anxious."

Mako paced the hall, thinking about how he was going to work around this. He could get himself disqualified perhaps, but not without leaving a chiefly position in the hands of a corrupted animal. Who could be more influential?

"Mako?" said the voice of an older gentleman as Mako paced the hallway.

Mako said nothing, just stared, still sweating from this morning, his mind moving so fast that he didn't entirely register who he was looking at abstractly

Long robes, deep voice, bearded, bald, arrow… Tenzin!

"Tenzin! It's great to see you!" Mako said, his demeanor immediately shaping up.

"Is everything alright? I sensed you were very strained as I saw you a second ago," Tenzin inquired.

"I'm… hanging in there, I've got sort of a political problem that I'm thinking through at the moment, and It's got me in a bit of a mess is all," he said, scratching his neck while half-grinning. Tenzin glanced at him with concern.

"Is your... eye well?" he asked.

"Oh… uhh yeah, something came up, an accident is all," he remarked. He wore a new, strapless patch that sealed over the eye socket, attaching to the placeholder comfortably.

"Rogue shark marlin got him," Tonraq interjected, "Jumped out of the water and caught Mako with its tailfin," he said.

"That's unfortunate, I'm sorry to hear that," Tenzin, "Is there any chance I could help you with the political matter as I do have some experience as a politician," he remarked.

"Well, I just need to find a more suitable candidate for the position that I'm running for as I got hit with some surprise conditions that have forced me into a predicament. The position is associate chief, and it was supposed to take some effort off the shoulders of the chiefs so Desna could take up work as the spiritual minister of the tribe," he said.

"Hmm, that is a unique position, certainly not a bad idea," Tenzin began, stroking his beard which was now at a length, "I do know of one person in mind who would be suitable for such a position, as I have tried to convince her before, but I'm afraid that she will need quite a bit of convincing," Tenzin said.

The class is being dismissed as Mako enters. She sees him and smiles, walking up to greet him

"Mako! It's so good to see you again!" she said.

"It's wonderful to see you too, Kya," he answers. He always found her to be a warming presence to be around. She tilts her head slightly and emits a look of concern for a moment.

"What happened to your eye? I'm sorry, I just didn't see this the last time I saw you," she said to him.

"Uhhh," he hesitated. He looked over to see Tonraq having an in-depth conversation with Tenzin, distracted from the two of them, "Something bad happened… with Korra," he began.

She extends a chair to him "Would you like to talk about it or?" she inquires.

"She… sort of hit me… really, really hard." He spoke.

"I had heard about the tumors and the outbursts, but I didn't hear about this," she said.

"Eh, I think it was kept low key around the station but after she hit me, some weird stuff started happening," he began, "I started seeing things, I threw up a lot, and I went into a coma for several days. They had me airlifted to the South Pole to see Katara, and I woke up there three or four days later. I could still see out of it at the time, but after a while, I lost vision, and the whole socket turned black. I had to get it removed," he said. He removed the patch, and then the placeholder, and she looked at the socket as it remained, observing the blackened fluid that dripped from it with disgust.

"It keeps getting worse, and it's not an infection. Katara didn't know what to do, and I don't either, so I've kept it covered with a patch since then."

"Did you speak to Katara before getting it removed?" she asked.

"It was Katara who advised that I have it removed," he answered. She wore a look of shock.

"That…" she began, "This is awful; I'm so sorry you had to endure that," she said. She wore a very thoughtful look for a moment, before taking him by the wrist.

"Come with me," she said as he followed her to a spirit pool within the parlor of a healing hut.

She closed her eyes and waved her hands in a waterlike fashion before his face, "How is your aura may I ask?"

"My… what?"

She raised an eyebrow and smirked, as she continued probing until she gave a wince.

"Yeah… are," she said, holding onto her head as if for a very bad headache, "Are you okay Mako?" she inquired. He squinted and tilted his head.

"What do you mean? I feel fine," he said.

"You have a tremendous amount of residual… spiritual tension that I am feeling. I'm probing your energy, but all I can feel is blockage, knots, ties, and so much scarring," she said to him.

"I-…" he began, "I don't feel anything; what does this have to do with my eye?" he asked.

"Just… hold still for a moment sweetie," she said. She breathed very deeply before commanding the water around him in the fashion of tendrils.

"Our bodies, Mako," she said, "Are renditions. They are physical manifestations, extensions of our spirits. When passages of our spiritual energy become blocked, it causes our life to be thrown out of balance, and in extreme cases, they can cause physical ailments or wounds," she said.

The tendrils surrounded him, and he felt his body gradually began to be relaxed, but a sudden discomfort rose within him. He twitched occasionally.

"You have so much blockage this way, I'm afraid of what might happen if I just…" she said. Suddenly he gasped and his head was thrown back as his whole body went tense for a moment.

He was back, standing on a platform, presenting his offering to the masters, and as he did, he looked into their eyes again, as they pierced the innermost depths of his soul.

He felt them searching through his heart of deeds and his mind of memories, digging that which was once painfully buried. He offered up the flame, holding out both arms, parallel to the ground and collapsing to his knees, his gaze going down to the ground, and as he heard them inhale he winced and prepared himself.

Would the sun warriors drag his scorched bones down the steps he wondered? He clenched his fists, suddenly lost in a powerful incendium!

Below the platform, the chief of the tribe, and Lord Zuko gasped at the sight, having never seen a man burned by the hands of the dragons before.

Zuko teared up at the sight, and even the sun warriors gasped, not understanding the sight before them, believing him to have been lost to the judgement of the masters.

Within the swirl of fire he witnessed memories across his life, feeling them wind their way into moments of his life, observing them through his own eyes.

His whole body tensed, and fire emerged from his mouth and hands where he sat in the parlor. He was on his feet, fists clenched and body trembling. He blinks a few times before snapping out of it.

"I'm sorry," he said, putting his palm to his face, "Is it really that bad?" he asked. She was on the floor in front of him, wincing and nodding a bit.

"Maybe it would be best I leave this alone. I have something to talk to you about," he proposed. All the nurses within the parlor who had been roving, cleaning and fixing pools gradually and silently went back to their activities from the shock.

"Okay," she said, "Let's talk," she said, drawing over a chair and sitting over it backwards as she faces him.

"The Northern Water Tribe is running a people's vote, and the tribe needs a chief who is knowledgeable of spiritual matters, peacemaking, and is a native water-tribe member of their own."

"And you want me to run?" she asked.

"I am here to convince you," he said. She smirked for a moment.

"I sense you're hiding something from me," she said. He recoiled subtly for a moment.

"What do you mean?" he said.

"I'm afraid I can't do it, politics have always given me bad energy," she said to him.

Mako sighs in resignation, "Okay, fine, if I tell you is there any chance you'll run?" he asked.

"…perhaps," she grinned.

"Okay. I was hired to run security as Princess Eska's personal bodyguard in the last year, and things have gone well. She has been a really good person to be around, and I have always tried to be personally… there for her," he said. She nodded resting her chin on the backside of the chair.

"The other day the position was proposed of associate chief, and I was told I should run, as apparently the people in the tribe like me… a lot," he said, "So I decided to run, but something went… wrong." He spoke.

Kya raised her head with a look of concern, "What happened?" she asked.

He hesitated for a moment, "Eska told me that she had wanted to be married to me… and apparently the chiefess cannot be married to the associate chief," he said, "I didn't know she had planned to propose, and I didn't know that the rules say that I'm not allowed to see her."

"Wait, I thought it was the guy that was supposed to propose to the girl," she said with confusion for a moment.

"I thought that it was either way," he said to her, shrugging his shoulders.

"The only way I can solve this and be allowed for her and me to be married with both of our reputations intact is by finding someone who the people want to vote for more than they want to vote for me," he said.

Hearing this, her hands were folded, and her eyes glistened, and she smiled deeply at him. The nurses around him quietly "awed" and he adjusted in his chair, directing his eyes away as his face turned a bit red.

"Listen… is there any chance I could get you to run?" he asked softly. She ran from her chair and scooped him up with an embrace.

"I would never have thought I would ever run for something like this, but I could count this as a favor… for love," she said sniffling. Mako awkwardly reciprocated the hug for a moment, and she eventually put him down.

"Can I have you come to the courthouse today to register?" he asked.

"Only if you tell me more about her," she said to him excitedly.

He grinned for a moment, "I could do that," he said.

The two, Tenzin and Tonraq as well, navigated their way to the courthouse in a gondola, while she sat with her chin in her hands, demanding more details, Mako sheepishly obliged talking about how they had originally met, and then had met again after a year apart from RC of private security work across the world.

The southern chief and Airbending grandmaster were still caught up in their own conversation from earlier.

The two arrived at the courthouse, stepping into the office of the judge, who happened to have been free at the hour, "Judge Khan," Mako prompted, both he and Kya bowing out of respect.

"Mako, what is it that brings you so early?" he said. The judge was a heavy-set man who spoke with a booming voice in the court. The respect he held within the community, as an honorable man was unparalleled, and his physical presence often made people stand as he passed. He sat at his desk, chewing the end of a rind of weed for the morning, as was a habit of his, alongside a cup of strong coffee.

"I am here to pose a nominee for the election of associate chief," he said, Kya stepping forward, "This is Kya, daughter of Avatar Aang and Katara of the Southern Water Tribe, and she will also be running," he said.

"It is an honor to meet one of the living children of the avatar," he said, standing to his feet, reaching out and shaking her hand. He turned to Mako.

"I will ensure that her name is posted as a nominee at once. Thank you, Mako." The judge left to attend a few matters there immediately after. The two looked at each other for a moment.

"You should let me take you to lunch, and I definitely want to hear you talk more about her," she said, "It sounds really sweet whenever you discuss her," she said. Mako laughed a bit nervously.

"I can never turn down some good food," he said shaking his head, following her out.

The café at which they eventually arrived was remarkably quiet, and the restaurant was moving slowly at the time, which was odd for midday. When they sat, she started asking more about her.

"What is it that you really think you like about her?"

"I'm not entirely sure. She's pretty for one," he said.

"Oh, come on," she teased, "You can do better than that!"

Mako paused for a moment, really thinking about her, "She has this quaint little voice that she uses. She is always very quiet, and very stoic, but I get to see moments where she gets excited or becomes emotional and it's so endearing to see her open up. When we talk, everything seems to be straightforward. Everything has clear expectation and meaning, no subtleties or anything, and there isn't ever any need to analyze into what she says. She and I met on less than friendly terms but seeing her grow and become so self-aware and learn to communicate and relate with others just makes me happy," he elaborated. Kya had this 'head-over-heels' look about her.

"Wow," she said, "You really do like her.

"I love her," he said.

"Have you told her that?" she asked.

"That I loved her, just once, but the circumstances were less than favorable," he said.

"What all happened may I ask? I mean, I'm not trying to pry, and I don't want for you to answer these questions if I'm making you uncomfortable or anything."

"No, you're just fine, I'm not bothered… I like talking about her," he said softly.

"See! That's how I know she's good for you!" she spoke. He couldn't help but grin at the remark.

"I was kind of tossing and turning at night when I heard some noise from the other room. I heard her crying on her own," he said, "I tried to tell her that I could make the position not happen, but she was really frustrated with the situation. She showed me the betrothal necklace she had made and told me that they wouldn't allow for her to be romantically involved with her," he said.

"Aw, that's so sad," she said.

"I told her that I would figure something out, and I'm still trying to make it up to her. I think she's mad at me," he said.

"What makes you think that?"

"Well, after that meeting she became very… very distant, and she usually likes to go out for the afternoon, but she said she wanted to go straight home. As far as I know she's still in her room."

"Maybe she's just trying to distance herself in case anything happens. It sounds like she's been hurt or abandoned before, and she is just protecting herself."

"I understand," he said.

"Don't take it personal sweetie, okay?" she told him, "… what else do you like about her?"

He smiled for a moment, "I think she's really insightful, and wise," he said.

"Oh, I don't often hear men talking about women that way," she said, "tell me what makes you say that about her."

"She says these really profound things during times whenever I'm expressing something and it always gives me new perspective and she kind of hits me with sense whenever I need it," he said. Kya laughed for a moment.

"Hitting someone with sense, I've never heard that before," she grinned. Mako paused for a moment, before speaking again.

"Hey, can I ask you something?"

"Absolutely!" she responded enthusiastically.

"What-… What happened at the spirit water parlor?" he asked

"Oh that," she began, "Aligning one's spiritual self means breaking through barriers of memories and thoughts," she said.

"All of the things we have seen, all that we regret, and all of the negative thoughts we have held begin to bear down on us over the course of our lives. What you saw are the things that you must face, and the emotions that you felt, are the ones you must acknowledge as having been your own, and the visions are traumatic events that we must also accept as having happened to us for us to live in spiritual freedom," she said.

He nodded in acknowledgement "That… This could be difficult," he said.

"Well, is there anything in particular you wanted to talk about?" she asked.

"I suppose I have a lot to talk about… I met a few dragons, firebending masters when I was in the fire nation, working under lord Zuko, and when I met them, I thought they were going to kill me, and everyone watching thought they did, and panicked, but they didn't kill me, I just had a bunch of flashbacks," he said.

"I didn't know why I saw them or what meaning they had, I just knew that I was really confused," he said.

"May I ask what you saw?"

"Hmm," he thought for a moment, and spoke hesitantly, "I saw a lot of things that I remember from growing up. Traumatic moments mostly," he said.

"Well, if you are interested…" she began," I will be in the city for the next week and a half teaching a class on water healing, and I think I would be really happy to walk you through a number of spiritual counselling sessions that could get you started on your spiritual journey."

"Would that be enough time?" he asked.

"Oh the journey itself never ends, Mako, but the beginning happens only once," she said smiling to him. They were soon served, and they ate bowls of soup with noodles that were excellently made.

"Would you be alright with that?" she asked referring to her earlier question.

"I suppose I could do that in my time off-duty," he said. As he stared out the window he witnessed an infant child being held and coddled by its parents.

"Great! I'm so excited to get to work with you," she said, "We'll start tomorrow early tomorrow morning, if that's okay," she said.

"Oh, absolutely," he responded.

"Lovely," she said as they both stood by the doorway.

"Thank you for talking to me," he said.

"Thank you, I haven't seen you in so long," she said embracing him over his shoulders, "and don't worry about her, I promise things will turn out okay somehow. You're smart, and I'm sure you can make a way where there is none," she said as they both split up just outside the doorway in opposite directions.

From lunch, Mako proceeded then to the residence to meet up with Eska in front. When he found her, she had taken time to calm down and clean up. Her makeup was back in place, in the precise manner that was so characteristic of her. As he approached her she turned to him, and he stepped lightly from there forward.

"I've taken care of it, Kya, the daughter of the avatar has decided to seek out the position herself. She is a far more suitable candidate, and if the people are sensible, they'll vote her over me."

"Bold of you to assume the people will be sensible." She said as she turns and walks

"How are you… holding up?" he asks, but she pauses her walk and sighs, stating she doesn't want to talk about it now. She had resumed her monotonous tone of voice that was so distinct to her before.

The remainder of the day was spent tending to the cases of petition to the chiefs on the part of individuals. There was no meeting, and there was no counsel to deal with, which saved the energy, and the walk home was silent between the two.

As the group joined together in the evening, there was a sensible tension within the room that Desna and Senna quickly perceived.

"How was everyone's day today?" Senna inquired. Everyone knew she has always meant well, so they obliged with some halfhearted responses, engaging different people, getting documents signed off, the usual lot of everyday… well, stuff.

When it came around to Mako, he took a deep breath and answered, "Kya has offered me a few days for sessions on spiritual guidance," he said.

Everyone's ears suddenly perked at the idea of it, their focus turning from their plates to the conversation. The daughter of the previous avatar had come out and offered to take Mako through the basics of spiritual enlightenment and healing.

"When have these things been scheduled to occur?" Eska inquired.

"Well, in my time off-duty, over the course of the next week-and-a-half while she is teaching a class on water healing," he told her.

Desna was fascinated, being his intrigue into the spirituality of airbender civilization. He had grown up studying the spirits under his father but broadened his study to understand other cultures and seek wisdom from other directions as well.

"What will these sessions be comprised of, if I may ask?" Desna inquired.

Mako responded, "Chakras, auras, energy, and the likes, but I don't really know," to the further interest of the others at the table.

"All I know is that when she performed that spirit water ritual, I saw a lot of things, and I just went off."

Everyone nodded, understanding the idea. The remainder of the dinner was quiet, Desna, Eska, and Tonraq all venturing upstairs thereafter the dinner, as Mako and Senna stayed behind to clean afterward

"Mako," she interrupted as he began to load dishes into the sink.

"Is everything okay?" he turned and asked.

"I was actually about to ask you about how everything had ended up last night. I'm sorry I interrupted, I just heard whisp-"

"You're just fine, I promise," he began, looking around to see if anyone had been listening, "I really wish I had known about her intentions beforehand is all. It breaks my heart to see her hurt so badly," he said.

"I'm so sorry sweetie, she had told me that she wanted to ask you, but I didn't want to speak to you of it before because I didn't want to spoil the surprise," she said. They began to work with the dishes.

He paused for a moment, "When told me she didn't think she could be loved, I think that tore me to pieces," he said. Senna paused with her eyes glistening, "I know she was different when she saw my… her ex-boyfriend, but him leaving her at the altar I think did awful things to her, and I don't want to hurt her. With everything in her history of being abandoned, the idea of adding to that keeps me up at night,"

Mako paused while drying dishes, and Senna placed a hand on his back, "Do you truly find that you love her?" she asked.

"People don't usually hurt so much for those they don't love do they? I'm certain that I love her."

"Then I know that these things will work out in time for you dear, just give it time," These words, simple as they were, felt like relieving balm to Mako. She turned to hug him.

"Thank you, Senna, this means more to me than you know," he said.

Mako awoke that morning early as usual, preparing himself for the day, basic grooming done while it was still dark, and the water from the pitcher that had been placed on the chamber table the prior night by Senna he took. The water was always sweet, but this kind was slightly so more.

Mako made his way to the parlor of spirit water, to find Kya waiting for him just outside, clad in a parka with her hood up. She unlocked the door and let him inside, and as they entered, she lit a few lamps, kerosene burning lamps specifically, and the room was dimly lit.

"Mako, would you light the hearth for me?" she asked. He gave a subtle nod, carefully directing fire in the pit. Causing all within it to be set ablaze.

She sat down in front of the warmth in a full lotus, "Will you join me?" she asked delightedly.

He joined her on the floor, but being muscular, tense, and somewhat inflexible, he was unable to achieve the position (she giggled a little as he struggled to reach the pose).

"Just crossing your legs will be okay I think," she remarked as he grinned at his attempt

"I want you to face the fire for a moment," she said, "and empty your mind…"and a few minutes of time passed.

"Throughout our body, there are pools of spiritual energy, with passages running between them vertically. These are what they call chakras. Life is messy though, and sometimes things happen to us that we can't control, and with hurt, and fear, some of these passages become blocked, like I felt that they were in you," she said, "By facing these things we and acknowledging our hurt, we can free this energy to flow within us again."

"Let's start with the Root Chakra… Tell me, Mako, do you think that you are safe?" she asked.

He opened an eye and raised an eyebrow, "I… suppose I do," he said.

"I wonder how often you really feel that way. Do you feel safe when you walk down the streets, or in public, or just in your daily life?"

"I… don't always feel safe being out in public," he said, "being a cop has forced me to keep my head on a swivel. Growing up on the streets didn't really help much," he said, "Besides, as a bodyguard I'm supposed to be always situationally aware. It's my job to not feel safe so that others can."

"Good!" she expressed, "You can identify the source of this tension already. Your self-awareness is admirable, and I must tell you that fear isn't always a bad thing."

"What do you mean?" he asked.

"Fear has a purpose, it helps us to stay alive, and when we accept it, then it can guide us appropriately, but do you feel this fear is necessary at the moment?" she asked.

"I mean… I guess not."

"Then perhaps you could let go of it for now, and be vulnerable in this moment? He breathes deeply with his eyes shut, scowling, and Kya looks over for a moment to notice this. A little taken aback, Mako breathes deeply with eyes shut, scowling. As Kya opens her eyes to look at him, she reaches over to his forehead and massages it a bit, which startled him at first.

"This isn't something you can force, Mako," she said softly, "It won't respond to force of will, but only release and compassion with oneself. Many spiritual things are like this, and you should know this as we explore more spiritual matters." In response he continues to breathe deeply until his body sank in relaxation. A few minutes later, he stood.

"You have to use the latrine don't you?" She asked.

"Wh-… yeah ho-?"

"That means something clicked today," she said with laughter.

He returned and they sat watching the sunrise, as Mako took notice of his new sense of ease.

"Do you think you're ready to move on?" she asked.

"I think so," he responded, softly. They sat down before the fire and cleared their mind just as before. Now that they had covered the root which concerns survival, they will move on to the sacrum, which concerns pleasure.

They listened to the fire crackle for several minutes, before she spoke out of the silence.

"I want to ask you, what do you blame yourself for?" He paused for a long minute, thinking, and allowing his mind to flow.

"Where do I start?" He asks aloud.

"At the beginning dear," she said. They both snickered a moment.

"I have always felt bad about how I treated Asami when we were together. I can't say that it tears me up, but it still keeps me awake at night sometimes," he thought further, or more recent, "I felt so bad about leaving Ursa behind, and I've felt awful that I made Eska feel abandoned…" he said.

"I'm sensing something else, something bigger, that you are mad at yourself for," she responds. Mako is quiet for several minutes, eventually giving up trying to find out and sighing before opening his eyes

"I've got nothing," he said with resignation.

Kya placed her hand on her chin gently and thought for a moment.

"Think back to the moment the ritual began from yesterday; what did you see? When I was cleansing that part of you, I could feel something become inflamed, and that is when you had an episode."

"… I saw my parents," he said hesitantly.

"What about them dear?"

"… I saw them die. They were killed by a firebender while Bolin and I… watched." The moment fell profoundly silent.

Kya, gently took his hand from his lap, "Mako, can I ask you something?" She asked. He looked to the side and gently nodded.

"Do you feel like you blame yourself for what happened to your parents?" Was the exact question he feared she would ask.

He was silent for many moments, before he spoke.

"For the longest time… I felt like had I been in the right place, I could have saved them. I had my abilities, I knew that I was a firebender, and I could have done something, but I just stood there," he said, shaking as He held Kya's hand a bit tighter. "I was so scared," he said, his voice beginning to break. There were a few moments of silence before he spoke again, breathing deeply. Streams of tears had long since began to flow down his face.

He opened his eyes, looking at the floor, "… and I just watched them die."

Kya took him gently and held him, with his head laid against her breast as she ran her fingers through his hair. There were no words for a long time. Her silence said more than words could.

"Mako…" she spoke softly as she brushed through his hair. The sun burst through a patch of clouds into the parlor through the large windows across the walls.

Half an hour passed as she held him, until he rose again.

When he did, she took his hand, "Your forgiveness of yourself is so much more important than you know."

"Could you place the burden of fighting for one's life on any other child? That is not a burden you could bear at such a young age, and yet you fought so hard for your brother. Even when you were out on the streets, you kept him fed, and well, and loved."

"Please… I beg for you to have compassion for yourself, as much as you do for others." She said as she herself shed a few tears. More silence, only broken by deep breaths, and with them, the room grew warm, and the fire greater.

"Thank you… Kya." He said softly, bringing his gaze from off the floor.

"We aren't done; I know this has been so difficult for you, but I'm so proud of you for doing this for yourself," she said as she hugged him and kissed him atop his head. She took a soft piece of cloth and placed it in the spirit water, and then handed this to him, which he used to clean his face.

After a few moments of silence, there was a knock on the door.

"I think that's my class," she said, "could we do this again tomorrow?" she asked

"I think I'd like that," he said nodding with a bit of a smile… Thank you, Kya."

"Always," she assured him, turning to ready materials for the class. He left through the door, making his way to the courthouse.

As he walked, he felt lighter. He felt warmer, even though it was cold as it had ever been in his time in the North Pole. His posture made him feel inches taller, and his stomach didn't feel as sour, things he didn't notice until they were relieved.

As he walked through a public trading area on his way to the courthouse, proposing he stop for a breakfast before continuing.

As he stood there, he could feel people watching him, pointing him out, and gathering around him. He turned to find that, in fact, people were gathering just a bit, children. He looked around, figuring they were seeking breakfast as well. He took his fish and wrapped it in a flat bread, then in paper. He then walked to the courthouse where he sat outside on the brim of a fountain.

There he ate the fish and flatbread completely, noticing people continuing to be drawn to him, again, children. After drawing a small crowd of young adults, he asked, "Why are people gathering here?"

A young woman smiled at him, "Sorry, you're just very warm," she said. Mako was a bit surprised to hear this, but nevertheless continued to the courthouse where he entered the courtroom early, being seated on the floor beside where Eska would normally sit.

He thought for a few moments about the young woman's comment, and not long after he began, Eska, Desna, and Tonraq came in.

"Morning Mako. We missed you at breakfast today," Tonraq said.

"I've just had some stuff to take care of bright and early is all," Mako responded.

The courtroom soon became filled with administrators, prepared to start official Congress. The courtroom environment was normal; Mako had zoned out regarding any official matters, seeing as how he wasn't necessarily involved in the proceedings beyond mere interesting suggestions. During it all, the note was announced that Kya was now running for the public referendum, to many peoples' awe, although some religiously held to their beliefs in Mako as an appropriate candidate.

Quicker than usual, Congress ended, and the people began to disperse.

"Mako!" Tonraq alerted from across the room, "Meeting in the Boardroom," he said. Mako nodded, walking through the doorway on the side of the room

"What's the matter?" Mako asked.

"There is news about the source of the explosion of the stage the other day, I'll fill you in once everyone arrives," he said. Soon enough several other officials entered the small room in the middle of which laid a table covered with a Map of the region surrounding the capitol.

Tonraq turned and locked the door, ensuring it had been securely closed.

"Gentlemen," he began, "A new terroristic organization has officially made its presence known. We have evidence that they are the one's behind the explosion of the civil rally point a few days ago." The room quickly fell silent, everyone's facing reading seriously the moment that Tonraq spoke.

"The prior assassination attempts, we have also attributed to this organization. These individuals were clearly highly trained, and we suspect that they have several splinter cells throughout the tribes at both poles. It is believed that the individuals responsible have captured one of the guards who was at the scene that day, as he went missing soon after the event." Some individuals in the room sighed at hearing that one of their associates had been taken.

"Having investigated, we believe this organization is an underground society, allegiant to my brother Unalaq. My brother had loyal connections all over the world. We believe that this organization had attempted to simultaneously take out one of the chiefs while swaying the election toward Hotah, a man believed to have been loyal to my father around the time of his death," he said.

"We have located a warehouse believed to have been a cache of weapons and munitions, and I and other military officials have planned a covert search and destroy raid on this facility. It will be held this evening at midnight, and you will all be going. The air force will have us airdropped over the location. It will be a moonless night, and we will be undercover, and cold, so dress warm. We will have several APC units dispatched to take you from your homes to a secret location from which we will take off. You are all dismissed," he said as they all stood.

"Tonraq," Mako raised, "What role do you want me to play here?"

"You are going to be my demo-guy," Tonraq said, placing a hand on his shoulder, "I will need you to aid me in breaching and entering. Mako nodded at this remark, falling out of the room with everyone else to meet with Eska as she stood next to her chair, both she and Desna stretching out after a long courtroom session.

Mako escorted Eska back to the residence as the sun began to get low on the horizon. The walk home was silent. As much as he knew there was to talk about, he couldn't have too much on his mind this evening, he couldn't afford that. Not this day. He joined them for dinner, Tonraq having done the serving for the evening, making an extra portion for Mako, which he ate to prepare.

There were few words exchanged at dinner, which continued to worry Senna, but she chose not to speak too much regarding the matter, Tonraq already having filled her in with the details of tonight's raid.

Thereafter dinner, Mako attempted to join in for his and Senna's usual dishwashing routine

"Hey," Tonraq began, "You should take some time to rest and meditate; you'll need a clear mind for this evening," he said. Senna nodded approvingly.

"You have a long night ahead of you dear," said Senna softly.

Mako returned to the chamber where he sat before the fire, and cleared his mind, focusing on the blaze and its crackling. He breathes deeply and watches the fire calmly as it joins in his rhythm of inhalation and exhalation.

It was quiet for an hour, in which Mako focused upon the warmth of the fire, and the control of his breathing, when out of the silence he heard breathing. Not his own, but this softened, shallow breathing of someone else.

"I need to talk to you." She said in her flattened tone.

"Come sit next to me," he said. He felt a light rush of wind go by him, and she sat down gently next to him. They spoke not a word to one another, but instead sat in silence, perpendicular to the hearth itself.

"I'm sorry about the other night," she said very softly, her tone slightly breaking through its monotony.

"You don't need to apologize; I understand," he said to her. There was a long moment of silence.

"I honestly thought you knew of my intentions… to propose-I mean; I thought you were taking the position to escape me… the way Bolin did," she said, her voice trailing off near the end of her sentence.

He listened to her intently. And faced her, taking her hand between the two of his, the way that Kya had done for him. She was silent.

"I promise," he said, "I'm not going anywhere." She smiled.

"Thank you," she said, "… I cannot express to you what that means to me."

She stands up to leave, and as she walks, Mako breathes in deeply, and follows her, and just as she clears the door, she feels a hand take her by the wrist, to which she turns around.

"I still meant what I said," he told her.

"What did you say?" she asked.

"I love you, Eska."

Her face reddened just a little across the nose. She paused a moment, looked around and stole a deep kiss, wrapping her hands around behind his face and drawing out the moment, she wanted it to last, and then turning around to float silently back upstairs. She left behind a fragrance of oolong, anise, cinnamon, and licorice root.

After she headed upstairs, he turned around to see Senna having eavesdropped on the conversation. Sound seemed to travel well in that house.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to disturb you," he said. Senna smiled and lightly shook her head

Nightfall came within the hour, and midnight later; Mako elected to sip at ginseng tea for the time being, which he had brewed himself. Aside from this, he continued clearing his mind.

"Mako," said Tonraq from the doorway. He looked over to see Tonraq in full wolf gear, distinct to the warriors of the southern water tribe.

"Are we prepping to move out yet?" He asked. Tonraq said he would need a warmer outfit, but Mako declined, favoring his layered, all-black outfit. It had a hood and mask to it, as well as a pair of gloves.

Mako stood before the fire, and breathes deeply for the last time, filling the room with heat.

He pulls up his hood and his mask, "let's go."

The two walked outside where the fire nation tundra tank had been there waiting for him, a fire bending master and an airbender already within. The tank brought them uphill to the tundra in the upper tier of the North Pole capitol, and as they reached the top, they spotted the airfield, to which they trekked from there on.

Tonraq briefed 2-3 squads of men on the location and objectives. Instructing where breaches would occur and who would be firing the gas, an aspect of this mission Mako must have missed. Masks were distributed and soldiers were ordered onto their assigned planes, some strapped over the wings, while some were seated at the tail position. Mako was on the right wing of a biplane that bore the future industries logo on it. There he thought of Asami for a moment but opted to keep his mind clear.

Occasionally through the ride the memory would come up of his last time strapped to a biplane, with Bolin and Asami herself over the South Pole.

"That was a rough ride," he thought, remembering having decimated the camp with fire.

The tune of the plane picked up as he threw on ear protection. Someone came by to check his ear-pro, his parachute, and his harness before giving a thumbs up, telling Mako to watch the wingman and the tail gunner to give the signal to jump. The rear gunner had illuminated his pit with a small lamp. Difficult to see, but Mako would get the idea. The front, rear, and wings of each plane has also been illuminated to keep anybody from bumping another aircraft.

A man stepped out to the side of the runway, the air Marshall.

"Target ETA 15 minutes!" Said the tail man.

The Air Marshall signaled the pilots into formation as they navigated their planes to the runway. The first tier accelerated, then the second, and so on. Liftoff felt like a kick to the gut, but the feeling subsided.

Mako began to breathe in very heavily, meditating on warmth maintenance. Although they weren't at a high altitude, it was admittedly a bit difficult for him to maintain himself in this sheer cold. All the others were wrapped in flight gear and pressure suits that were extremely well insulated.

The platoon began to zero in on the position of the warehouse. Now Mako had been instructed to jump, wait 10 seconds, and then pull, however he was never a fanatic for jumping out of airplanes, deciding to make those 8 seconds, just in case.

After touchdown the platoon would regroup using small, dimly blinking lights, that would allow them to keep track of each other in the pitch black of the night, as it was a moonless night. The lights were bright enough to see if your eyes adjusted to the pitch black, but if your eyes had been adjusted to the lights such as those around the warehouse, they would be nearly impossible to view.

Mako continued to breathe and keep warm looking over at Tonraq who waved and gave a thumbs up and a grin. Mako did the same in return. Despite the intense focus of the situation and the seriousness of the matter, he was having fun. Just as he finished waving the plane bounced into a climb and then dove, as did the rest of the squad.

The plane did two barrel-rolls before levelling off at an equilibrium with the horizons. Just then, after Mako managed to pull his gut out of his throat, the lamps for the tail men came on, starting by the front man in the chevron pattern to the rest of the wingmen. After the lamps came on, all the tail-men gave a hand signal [stop] signaling that they weren't ready for the jump yet. The man diverted Mako's eyes to an illuminated target in the distance, a little way outside of a small village.

Mako began to breathe deeply, preparing himself for the fall, and keeping his eyes on the target, looking back and forth to the tail man, who proceeded to count on his hands at the signal of a blinking light from the squad leader.

The tail man Counted down to the drop signal from 10, 9, … He got a good grip on his head. Thumbs up for detach and drop.

Mako jumped off the front as he was instructed, and he held his breath on the way down, as the air was unbearably freezing. He pulled his chute and anticipated the touchdown, which happened in a matter of thirty seconds, the ground meeting him so that it rocked his joints a good bit.

He reloaded his parachute and left it in place as he was ordered and started off toward the rendezvous point. He clicked on his button, which gently flashed on and off. He looked around and found a few other of the flashing lights throughout the tundra. The wind was filling his ears,

He gathered with the platoon to regroup (remember this is supposed to be a summary so don't get too lengthy). Once they formed up, Tonraq led the formation and directed the other two squads around the building, as they approached the entrance.

Mako prepared the door, turning the hatch softly to prevent the metal from creaking, and gently opening and looking inside with a lit finger for any traps or IED's and then directed the squad into the airlock, where he closed the entrance but didn't seal it in the case that they needed to make a quick getaway.

They proceeded inside softly; it was pitch black, with only Mako's light for reference. They formed up and readied for him to flick the light switch when he had a gut feeling. He spoke to Tonraq, telling him to leave the lights off.

They continue to navigate their way through the warehouse, but it was completely empty. Mako emitted a beacon of light to help them look around, and they found a crate directly in the center of the warehouse. A very large shipping crate with cords running into it.

"Somethings not right, I've got a bad feeling. Keep a look out!" Tonraq yelled as the warehouse echoed his command.

"It doesn't look like anybody's home." Said Mako.

They approached the plywood crate, where Mako began to slowly knock on the boards to check for any devices inside of the walls, when he heard groaning from within.

Tonraq ordered the crate open, but Mako alerted them, claiming it could set off an IED within. Tonraq asked how he planned to get the box open then.

Mako thought for a moment, "Engineer, I need a drill," he said, which one of the men provided from his equipment. Mako slowly began to drill through a hollow-sounding spot on one of the boards until a hole had been formed which he peered through.

"I need a light source, non-flammable" he said. The engineer cracked a few industrial glow sticks, and Mako bound them together and stuck them inside attached to a piece of wire which he fashioned so the glow sticks wouldn't hit the floor. When he had everything set up, he looked around the inside, to find a person restrained to a chair, to which he alerted Tonraq. It was the guard from earlier. Mako looked around for the cords and where they led and found fuses attached to circuit blockers around the base of the box. If any of the boards in the crate were pried open, the circuits would light the fuses, but leading to what.

"TONRAQ! You might wanna look at this!" Said one of the squad sergeants. Tonraq carefully navigated over to where the cords of the box led and found the caches of explosives they were looking for.

"Tonraq! Don't move those cables!" Shouted Mako, "This whole place is rigged to blow if we try to pry open the crate!"

"What's inside of the crate?!" Yelled Tonraq

"I found your hostage! And I know how to get him out!" Mako shouted back.

Tonraq and the other squads moved over carefully in the dark.

"I need some engineers over here!" Mako said as each of the squads submitted their own workers. Mako explained the predicament within the crate, and all the engineers peered through the hole to try and see if they could get the hostages attention.

"Okay, so there are two things we can't do, the first being remove any of the walls or boards from the box, and the second, being that we can't move the box too much, or the explosives will detonate."

The engineers consulted one another, proposing they cut a hole through the walls, but it was discovered that there was a network of wires lining the walls, and if one of them was detached or cut, the box would signal the cache.

"What about the floor?" asked an engineer, "can we cut up from beneath the crate?"

"The floor looks pretty clear of any circuitry," Mako returned.

"What if we propped up the box from beneath and dug out the floor below it?" he asked.

"Do you know any earthbenders?" Mako asked as a joke.

"I am an earthbender, sir," he said in return. Mako grinned.

Once the placeholders were set, the earth bender tunneled underneath, propping up the box so they could access it underneath. Mako tapped underneath to find where the legs of the chair touched the floor and marked them. They then traced a circle around where to carve, preparing themselves to work their way in as the earth bender pistoned a prop beneath the circle to support it. Once the cutting is done with, the earth bender will lower the hostage down.

Tonraq and another waterbender cut through the base with precise slashes of water. As they slowly. Lowered the hostage, Mako suddenly yelled,

"STOP!" Everyone froze.

Mako called attention to a single wire.

"It's a tripwire!" Said one of the engineers.

Mako shined a light on to the inside and then went upstairs to check for a new perspective.

"Okay, there's only one tripwire and it's just on that leg." Mako continued explaining, "We are going to tape the wire to the rim without tensing it and cut where it attaches to the chair. Any volunteers?" he asked.

"I'll do it," raised a young man.

"Is your head clear son?" Tonraq asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I feel fine honestly," he said. He held out his hand to exhibit that he was the only one among them that wasn't shaking.

"Fair enough," Mako said, "You're up!"

Everyone stopped pacing and held their breath as the man took the wire and gently taped it, where it was already touching the rim of the opening. When he signaled everyone that the wire has sealed, he then cut where it had attached to the chair as the earth bender slowly lowered the chair. The hostage was groaning.

Mako and Tonraq checked him "He's clear!" Mako said. they untied him and pulled him out of the tunnel. The cutout was removed, and the tunnel was slowly filled and supported by the earthbender that created it.

They brought water to the hostage, there's no telling how long he'd gone without it. As soon as they removed the blind fold and the gag, they slapped him awake and sat him up so he could drink.

The man was badly disoriented, and he couldn't recognize anyone, but when Mako came over to him he reached out and grabbed him with eyes wide open, mumbling his name. He wouldn't let go of Mako.

When Mako asked him what was wrong, he mumbled something. After being asked to speak up, he yelled,

"Get away! IT's A TRAP!"

All the lights in the warehouse flew on as the platoon formed up,

On an overhead catwalk stood Judge Hotah surrounded by several associates.

"Surprised, Tonraq?" Asked the judge.

"The only thing that surprises me about this is how low you've gotten Hotah," said Tonraq, "You were always a crooked man working under my brother, but terrorism and insurgency?"

Judge Hotah looked down and scowled at the group.

"The only terrorism is the refusal of the unification of the tribes as the one, true water tribe, and the failure of the South Pole to minister to the spiritual! It was always the cause of your tribes' troubles Tonraq! You took something sacred, and you scorned it in exchange for modernism and materialism!"

"What do you care about the union of the tribes? What do you care about the sacred or spiritual Hotah?" Asked Tonraq.

"I care enough to do what must be done. By tomorrow, the other two candidates for this referendum will be gone, and the traitorous two in the palace will be dead." He began putting on his coat as one of his associates opened the hatch to a door leading out from the catwalk.

"What makes you foolish enough to think that I am going to let that happen to my niece and nephew?!" Tonraq began to raise his voice.

"Simple, you won't be alive to do a damn thing about it. I'll blow this warehouse to bits, and once I get rid of those two, I'll be directly in line to inherit the position of chief, and I'll unite the two tribes in a spiritual union that will be remembered for centuries to come."

Tonraq was silent… intensely so.

"I don't have anything to say to you Hotah." He muttered gutturally.

"You won't need to in a few moments," said Hotah flashing a device.

"That's a detonator! One of Varrick's detonators!" Said Mako to the platoon.

"Do you like it? I had plenty of explosives to left over to work with from the last civil war, and believe me, I'll only have used half of them by the end of the week."

He stepped outside and closed the door, and as soon as he did the earth bending engineer jumped and pounded his way into the earth

"EVERYONE FALL IN!"

Everyone piled in desperately as the earthbender tunneled his way underground, carrying the incapacitated man over his shoulder.

Tonraq snatched the man from over his shoulder. The earthbender tunneled out of the warehouse and came up above ground again.

"EVERYBODY RUN!" Yelled mako, carefully making sure he was the last out.

The entire platoon split into the sheer darkness of tundra desperately as they threw their hands over their ears, when in seconds they were all knocked off their feet!

Tonraq and the earthbender riled up the earth and the ice, fashioning it into cover as it began crumbling, pounded relentlessly with concussion and debris. Everything was ringing again. Everyone was dizzy and wheezing in the cold, still blowing wind. A halftrack's lights could be seen in the distance as it drove away northward.

"Are they headed back to the capitol?" Shouted Mako.

"No, they're headed north," said Tonraq, "That way is to the tribe," he added, pointing in a different direction

"How did you plan on getting us out of here?" Asked Mako. Silence from Tonraq.

Mako walked over to one of the squad sergeants and asked how many miles it is from home, who tilted his head, saying about 30-40.

"How many of us are benders?" Mako asked the platoon.

"Half of us," said the earthbender.

"We've got to get back and warn the tribe!" Said Mako.

"How?" Asked the earthbender.

They all sat and thought for a moment. The platoon moved back in toward the warehouse for the warmth of the fires.

Mako sat and meditated in front of one the blazes for the time being, bringing himself back into the centeredness Kya taught him. He cleared his mind of the noise and gradually, the ringing began to cease, trading it for a gradual whooshing sound.

Mako sat for a minute

"… The winds not blowing!" He said jumping up looking off in the direction of the sound.

"Mako, what's the matter?" Asked Tonraq.

"Listen to that," he said, "the winds not blowing."

Tonraq looked off in the direction of the noise, hearing it gradually become more prominent.

"Are they friendly do you think?" Asked Mako.

"They're coming from the direction of the village; they must've seen the explosion! Throw up a flare!" Said the platoon sergeant. Mako shot up a bright pulse of fire and the engineers did the same with their parachute flare guns.

They all heard the fleet change direction

"Prepare yourselves for a fight in case they aren't friendly!" Shouted Tonraq.

Out of the shadows came skiffs, sculls, and catamarans being sailed by water tribe locals. Tonraq runs up and speaks with one of them, before he motions for everyone to grab a spot.

"You got us a ride?" Asked Mako.

"Yes, they'll take us all the way to the capitol. This is an old friend of mine I served with in the army here in the North, he's chief of a local village just a few miles out."

"Shouldn't we're go after Hotah?"

Tonraq paused, "No if I know Hotah, that's exactly what he would want. We've got to get back to the tribe and warn the others!"

The fleet of winter sailers and snow benders migrated over the course of an hour back to the capitol where they made the journey down the slopes to the city. It was nearly morning, and the light was just beginning to change the hue of the horizon.

Mako and Tonraq headed back to the residence where Everyone was asleep , including Senna, however, being worried for her love to come home, she stayed in the parlor, sat on a chair where she fell asleep. Tonraq woke her gently as Mako walked upstairs to arrive at Eska's door which he quietly opened, to find her already standing in a long, nighttime kimono.

"I'm sorry, just checking to see if you're okay." He spoke.

"Is everything alright?" She asked inquisitively, raising her hand to his face, "you're all wet, come in."

"Wait, I don't thin-" he got out before she pulled him by the collar into her room where a shaft venting hot air from the downstairs fireplace rested, where they both sat.

"What happened?" She asked.

"Do you want me to tell you or wait until tomorrow?"

"Tell me what it is now."

"Okay," he started, "We ran a paratrooper mission with a platoon of Northern water tribe airborne running on intel about munitions storage there."

"Has this anything to do with the previous explosions within the capitol?" She asked quietly.

"Yes, we found out whose been behind all of the incidents."

"And who would that be?"

He looked up at her, "Do you remember judge Hotah?"

"Judge Hotah, the one who is running for the referendum?"

"That's the one."

"But… how could… why would he do something like this?"

Mako stands up to her level, "This was a man very loyal to your father's cause, and he is going to try to kill you, and then take the position of chief, and declare the water tribe United."

"And begin a new civil war."

There was silence between the two.

"When we got there, we found a box with someone inside; we had to be careful getting him out because the box itself was rigged to blow, but the whole situation ended up being a rigged-up trap anyway. We were fed some garbage intel."

"What do you mean when you say trap?"

"I mean that when we pulled the sorry guy out of the box, Hotah was there waiting for us, with detonators wired into the ammunition caches, the same one's Varrick used."

She stood still for a moment.

"We hitched a ride with some winter sailers from local village, we figured they saw the explosion. I don't think Hotah knows we made it out, so we have that. I'm hoping Tonraq's guys can root him out."

"Did it not get cold for you? I can see you're covered in frost."

Mako breathes in deeply as the white patches across his body begin to fade and turn to steam.

She sat there for a second, "Why did you let me take you into my room to warm you when you could've done that?" She said playfully hitting him.

"Because I like you," he said, lowering his hood and his mask. "Did we wake you?"

"No, I am afraid I could not sleep," she said.

"I'm sorry to hear that, are you feeling okay?" He asked.

"I was admittedly preoccupied about you going out this evening. Senna and I both were, and we wanted to make sure that you made it home." She spoke.

"Would you be able to sleep now that I am home?" He asked.

"I suppose so, however… only if you were here with me."

"Well, I'm going downstairs in a moment for water and to make sure everything is set across the house."

"As you do that, would it be okay if I sought a fresh change of clothes for you?"

"That would be nice actually," he turned and spoke.

He descends the stairs to find Desna awake. With Tonraq and Senna sleeping, Senna snuggled upon his chest, on a couch in the parlor.

"We'll talk more about it in the morning," Mako said.

"It is the morning," he grins. Mako grins in return, shaking his head.

"We are going to have to get you two somewhere safe soon," he began, "Things are heating up.

Mako seeks the pitcher from the night before within the chamber, and drinks the remainder of it, taking it to the kitchen where he places it within the sink.

After Mako ascends the stairs again he gently knocks on the door, where Eska obligingly opens it. He is met with warm clothing that had been neatly folded.

"Thank you," he said softly.

"Use my closet to change," she said to him. After he emerges, clad within a kimono top and hakama, he seats himself by the fire again, where she joins him.

"I'm not going to let you go anywhere for the next week or so. If anything, I want for you, Desna, and Senna to get to a safehouse for a little while."

"Who is to say I don't desire to face these battles myself?"

"I know you're full well capable, just too important, to the tribe and to me. It's the same reason you would need a bodyguard," he said.

"You should get rest Mako, the guards are out in doubled presence, especially around the residence."

"Should I head downstairs?"

"No," she said, taking him by the wrist and leading him to her bed. It was a much larger bed than he had ever been accustomed to.

"All precautions in mind, it would be best that you be as within reach as possible," she said as she looked to him through the dim morning light. She opened the heavy covers for him to seat himself and lay down.

He paused for a moment "… isn't this-?"

"Not if I order you so," she said. He looked down at the bed.

"This bed… its so, soft," he said, running his hand along the fabric. She took him by his head and laid him down on the pillow and pulled the covers over him. She joined him beneath the covers, turning his way as she lies beneath thick furs and pelts atop silk. He already had begun to doze, as his eyes grew heavy. She reached forward and ran her fingers through his hair and gently smiled.

"I love you too."

He woke once three hours later due to a nightmare of the incident. As he sat up and gasped, she reached out and embraced him.

 

He was sweating, but not as much as his usual nightmare. She was half asleep, still clinging to him as he brushed the slightly messy hair from her face and the sun gently shone in through the clouds on her. He leaned over and kissed her on her forehead, and as he did so she wrapped another arm around him and pulled him in; she was very strong. He smiles at her, and pulls her in, where they then embrace one another in the bliss of a half-dream.

He begins to kiss her forehead and the top of her head, and as he does so, she gently lunges forward parting the kimono along the collar and planting kisses down the middle of his chest and up to his neck giving him chills

With This pulse of energy he tightened his embrace on her drawing her further in, until the sense of tingling desire began to overwhelm him.

As she gently pecked a trail of contact down his neck, he reached his hand up, cupping her face, and slid his other hand down to her lower back, pressing his palm into her. This gave her a sudden jolt, and she removed her other hand from his chest grabbing his hip and pulling it to her demandingly as she slid one of her own legs between his to wrap around his left and gently contract. With each move things were escalated with the heat of the fire and warmth of the blankets upon them. His lips were thin, delicate, and tender while hers were more substantial and fleshier.

And they broke for a second to breathe and rest, with their hearts beating in their chests. She smiled deeply and warmly again, her face half-driven into a pillow. He sat up.

They paused to look at one another and smile.

Mako and Eska returned to the courthouse together, where there it was announced an emergency meeting.

As soon as they sat together, the doors in the hall were closed, and thus the meeting began. Tonraq immediately called for the attention of the room out of the necessity of the situation. He had not changed out of his combative gear from the previous night. Tonraq walked the board through what all had happened from beginning to the very end with names and details, particularly those of the culprits. He called for an immediate order of the suspension and prosecution of Judge Hotah.

The rest of the board discussed, and considered whether this matter was politically motivated, but after Tonraq himself called several debriefed soldiers to stand and testify regarding the matter, the administrative board gradually became convinced, though some were stubborn to the matter.

The courtroom entered a period of exchange and discourse as the murmurs filled the hall, and when they sent their representative to state the conclusion, to everyone's anticipation, Judge Hotah was condemned for high treason, and declared a wanted man within the tribe.

As for the two chiefs, it was determined that they would stay within their residence until the threat of these terrorists was neutralized, until then, their residence would be looked after 24/7. Eska sighed, as this would mean she would likely be bored, at least… were it not for Mako.

The walk began per their usual routine, "Let's take this other road," he said.

"This is not our usual route," she remarked, tilting her head.

"I know, but with all things considered," he said, looking to her. 

She smiled, approaching and taking his arm.

As they steadily proceeded, they moved through the historical district, "How have you felt recently, regarding everything?" she asked.

"As in," he looked around, "with Hotah?" he asked.

"I meant with us," she corrected.

"Oh... I think I'm just... really glad you're not mad at me anymore," he said.

"I was never mad at you. If anything I was merely... frustrated by the situation," she said, "the idea of being kept from you... started to tear at me, and with time, it got the better of me."

He looked over, continuing to listen.

"With these last few months... I've started to realize how much I really missed Desna, but I can't drag my brother around my whole life... It's not fair to him," she said, "I don't want to be alone anymore."

"You've shown me what it's like to have a good friend," she said, turning to him. 

At this, he halted their path, "And... I-.." she waited, as if to select her words, "I don't want you to go."

He looked to her as she said this, barely able to see her. He didn't speak, just looked to her.

He placed hands on her shoulders, and as he did this, she removed her right hand from one of her gloves, placing it over his own, his grip exuding warmth.

Mako approached the parlor once more, and after determining that no class was being held at the time, he knocked on the door. A nurse answered the door who immediately recognized Mako's face and went to retrieve Kya herself, who eagerly ran to the door.

"Hey!" she greeted enthusiastically, "Come on in! let's get you out of the cold," she said.

She took him through the spirit water parlor, and into a dimly lit room within which incense lightly burned and tea had been made. She had him sit in the middle of the room with her in front.

"How is everything going?" she asked eagerly.

"Things have been breaking down a bit. Last night we raided a warehouse, and we found out that one of the politicians running for associate chief had trapped a man within a crate, rigged to detonate if anyone moved it or tried to open it. It all ended up being a bait job so they could do away with us. We ended up escaping through an underground tunnel in time. That explosion was big though," he said.

"That sounds pretty crazy, are your ears okay?" she asked.

"Oh yeah, there was a little bit of ringing at first, but I think I'm okay right now," he said, "We were picked up by a fleet of winter sailers from a nearby village that brought us back to the tribe."

"Well, do you feel safe at the moment?" she asked. He thought very heavily.

"I'm not entirely sure," he said, "Hotah has connections just about… everywhere, and there really isn't any telling who I can trust if anybody. I'm a little more worried about Eska though, and not just because it's my job"

"Do you feel fear at this moment?" she asked.

Mako scanned the environment, "No," he said.

"I know what you mean when you say that about Eska. Our loved ones are people we want to be safe and secured, but reality is so cruel. There will come a time where you will have to let her go into peril when she must, and there will eventually come a time where you will have to let her go as she passes on. Even though we may want to, we can't always control what happens to the ones we love, and tragically, we can't always protect them either, as hard as we may fight."

"Perhaps we should move on," she said.

"I think so too." He assumed his cross-legged position

"The next pool of energy we will be dealing with," she began, "Is the chakra of the sola plexus, and it deals with willpower, but it is blocked by shame. Where do you think you have disappointed yourself in this life?" she asked.

"I felt like I had failed so many different people when I had to leave republic city, that I wasn't valuable enough for them to keep me around." Kya nodded hearing this, but her eyes remained shut.

"I think there is more to it than that Mako," she said.

"What do you mean?" he asked.

"You know, this eye is a part of you now, and it is partly because of it, that you have found yourself here," she began.

"The good things and the bad things in this life all contribute to where we find ourselves on this path. You have had so many bad things happen to you, and it has made you heavy-hearted, but look where you have found yourself. You have found good, fulfilling work that pays well and offers personal hospitality. You have found yourself within a whole new family of people that love you and look after you! You have found yourself on a whole journey of spiritual enlightenment that has taken you across the world to different people of wisdom and knowledge… and you have found love with a woman who adores you and wants to be with you."

The incense continued to gently fill the room with a pleasant aroma that allowed Mako to better tap into his senses, and he became more aware in the moment as he heard Kya talk. The candles which lit the room were placed under pots that distributed the heat and aided the fireplace in keeping the room warm.

"It is through healing and recovery that these struggles produce strength, and character, making you into a whole new person. To be a positive influence on those around you, you must accept who you are and what you have become with compassion and understanding."

Mako continued to keep his eyes closed and winced for a moment before breathing very deeply inward, and then releasing. He opened his eyes and smiled at her, asking if he may partake of some of the tea she had made, which she happily obliged.

She stirred the pot of jasmine before pouring it before him and placing it back onto the warmer.

"How do you know all these things?" he said as he sipped, "I mean, who taught you?" She sipped the tea she had prepared for herself.

"When I was in my late teens, I had a bit of a phase of self-discovery, and in that phase, I felt discontent. I ran away and left my family behind. I traveled the world and learned to become a master healer." She sipped her tea once more, staring down at it, "As I ran, I decided that I didn't want to be a member of a family, but that I wanted to be free to live my own life. I wanted to see the world with my own eyes. I lived nomadically for quite a few years, going from village to village, and I saw amazing things."

"I saw the great walls of Ba Sing Se for the first time in my life."

"They certainly are a sight to see."

"I saw the Southern air temple where my own father had been born. He had taken Tenzin there once, but not Bumi and I."

"I saw Kyoshi Island, the mountains of the fire nation and the capitol volcano, the North Pole, the Serpent's Pass, and even the great earth kingdom's desert, but the thing that sat most with me were the people I had met. I had passed in and out of a few relationships, one that I remember. I had never been so happy as I was with her."

"I met one woman, not the one from before, but a completely different woman, who was on the same path as I was, and She had her own personal experiences with not wanting to be among a family. She was significantly older than I was, and she even said she knew my father and mother. She taught me about auras and spiritual energy, and how to keep in touch with emotions; I learned so much from her." She smiled at her tea and stirred it gently with a small bamboo stick.

"When I came home, my family was so happy to see me, my mother most of all. I cried when I told them about all the things I had experienced and the people I had met. All the wonderful things I had learned. My father was so happy to hear about how I had pursued my own path in spirituality, and he offered to show me everything he himself had learned."

"Wow," said Mako, "That's amazing. How old were you when you first set out?"

"Oh, I was about fifteen, sixteen years old; I was about the same age as my mother had been when she and her brother set out with the avatar for the north pole. Throughout my time with the woman, I had mentioned earlier, I had discovered that she had sent regular letters to my parents to let them know that I was safe and in good hands."

"She sounds like a really great person."

"Oh, she was… I miss her." She said smiling.

"With all of this being said, I'd like to get into the next session if you don't mind, I think it's very relevant to what we are on here."

"I'd love to!" he said, setting his tea on a small table beside him. Once again, in unison they inhaled very deeply to allow their breath to reset and relax.

"The next chakra is that of the heart. This pool of energy deals with love and is blocked by grief." She told him. "If you feel that you are emotionally ready, then I want you to try and lay your life's grief out before yourself." There was a tense silence for a moment where Mako took in a deep breath.

"Okay," he said quietly. She paused for a moment and went back to her previous, conversational tone.

"Do you remember when I said that as I had visited home for the first time, and that I had told my father about my spiritual journey?"

"I do remember that."

"He once taught me that love is a form of energy, and it flows all around us in every single day. You have felt a great loss of your parents but know that even though they have left this world, that their love for you has not."

He began to wince for a moment, beginning to dig deeper into his breathing.

"Their love for you lives on within your own heart, reborn in the form of new love, for others."

And as she said this, he felt his body tense, thrust into a vision. The things he saw, growing up fighting for his brother, his adventures with Korra, his love for Asami, meeting his grandmother and his family…. And Eska; these things overwhelmed him as he turned his head away from her slightly, and his chin trembled.

"As a river, and with your breath… Let the pain flow out of you." She spoke.

He breathed so that his chest rose shakingly, and then he let go. The flames in the room turned purple as he lowered his face to his hands. Silence proceeded.

She navigated across to sit next to him, taking one of his hands as tears landed on the tight wooden floor, and they sat in the warmth of the room for a period before he slowly raised his head. He looked to the side to see her the warmth of her facial expression.

"Thank you, Kya."

"You have done very well in this process. I'm proud of you, and you should be proud of yourself too. You are so much stronger than you know."

They stood together, and Mako bowed with slowness and reverence. She invited him into the other room with the spirit water where she sat him down in a chair while deploying water from one of the spirit pools and enveloping him with a routine.

"You have improved dramatically!" she stated as the other nurses surrounding him watched in awe.

"Have you tried firebending recently? How long has it been since you practiced?"

"It's been a week or two."

"You should take out some time and give it a try. Other than that, I believe we are done for today. We will have two or three more sessions depending on how everything goes." She said, concluding her routine.

Mako walked home with a bit of a grin, looking forward to seeing Eska as he arrives home. Thinking about this, he notices that he and Kya are walking in tandem. He asks where she is going this evening to which she responds,

"Oh, I'm sorry I must have told Desna but not you. Tonraq invited Tenzin and I to dinner at their house for the evening, so I will be joining you." He answers that it will be nice conversation material over the table to update them to how everything has gone.

He speaks with the guards who allow for him to pass into the residence. Mako walks in to see Tonraq sitting in the parlor who stands up heartily to see him.

"I cannot thank you enough for your help and your leadership last night. With your wit and your ingenuity, we owe our lives to you," said Tonraq placing his hand on Mako's shoulder.

" Anything I can do to help this family I would be more than happy to do." Said Mako. Tonraq smiled as did Tenzin.

"I will update you more on what all we have found so far with investigation and debrief later on, but for now, we have dinner." Said Tonraq.

Kya, Tonraq, Tenzin, and Mako joined Desna and Senna in the dining room where they all sat together and exchanged their experiences for the day. Eska stood and invited Mako to sit next to the left of her, which he happily obliged. Kya smiled at the two of them. As they all sat down, Tenzin offered to commence the dinner with a prayer of thanks, to which everyone joined hands.

Her hands were smooth, soft, and cool. He thought they were delicate, just the way her lips had felt earlier that morning. As Tenzin recited the prayer, Mako thought about all that he had to be thankful for, and as they concluded, they ate and conversed, even though two hands were still conjoined.

It took a few moments of silence for conversation to pick up regarding Mako's personal sessions with Kya which personally intrigued Tenzin to hear about, having been under Aang's own spiritual mentorship himself before. He was ecstatic to hear that even with everything that had happened in the last few years, Mako had managed to come out with good things going for him.

The dinner had finished, and everyone had elected to congregate within the parlor of the residence, Mako stepped outside to take a break from the social atmosphere for a moment. He took notice of the color of the evening sky being a deep red. With all the moisture in the air, the sun turned a Hazy red shade, and nightfall was soon to be upon them. The wind was only gently blowing, making it a cool breeze for the firebender who made warmth for himself. Eska emerges from the residence to join him in silence within the courtyard. She stepped into the warmth that emanated from him and gazed out to the sun where he was staring, standing closely next to him.

"I'm still worried," she said.

"I am too." He his head down to her.

"Even if something goes wrong and I inherit the position, I like to think I could work my way around the rules. I think you're worth that." She looks up at him with glistening eyes.

"Your eyes sparkle a lot, do you know that?"

"No one has ever told me, I'm afraid."

"Mine have always looked strained and bloodshot. I've never understood how some people just have naturally clear eyes."

"Perhaps your eyes are strained because you are as well. Eyes become bloodshot when one focuses for extensive periods of time, and especially when one is sleep deprived."

"I can definitely say I've known sleep deprivation, but your eyes remind me of what Bolin's looked like growing up, when he was just a kid."

"He still does have fairly clear eyes as far as I recall, or at least as of the last time I saw him."

"I still haven't seen my brother. I miss him honestly."

"I have invited him to the banquet."

"Wait… seriously?"

"I recognize that he and I have some extent of personal history, but he is your brother, and I must say that I'm extensively fond of you." They both smiled.

"What are your thoughts on all this terrorism stuff?"

"I cannot say I am devoid of any feeling regarding it, but I am not tremendously worried either."

"Even though they tried to blow up the stage you were standing on?"

"… I feel safe when I'm with you." He was lightly startled by the comment's familiarity. She held his arm close.

"You feel like home." She said as he gently smiled, kissing her atop her head lightly. His facial expression altered as she said this.

The next day marked three days until the referendum, and the city council began preparing accordingly. Most council members projected that Kya would certainly fit the role, as would she be respected by the people.

There was chatter within the board as the court finally came into session. Eska stood to lead the beginning remarking about the prospective candidates for the associate position beneath the chief, placing substantial emphasis on Kya's achievements and personal connections to persuade the audience to influence the vote in her favor. During her speech she was interrupted by shouting through the corridor of the courthouse, and then a blast which alarmed the members of the council.

A Guard from outside the building, "Protect the chiefs!" he shouted.

Everyone drew their weapons, with their focus driven to the doorway. Mako covers the back exits of the room, only discover that the hallway had already been overwhelmed with insurgent troops. Mako runs back into the room to issue the warning that they are surrounded completely, as the room begins to form a circle, bending bricks of ice against the doors to barricade themselves in. The administrative board is ordered to evacuate themselves upstairs, as are the chiefs. As she leaves Eska looks around and runs over to Mako, primed against the door, and tells him to stay safe as she takes him and kisses him on the face.

Mako takes a deeps breath as a rhythmic pounding on the doors take place, not unlike that of a battering ram. Soldiers brace themselves against the icy barricades, preparing themselves for the worst, when suddenly the pounding on the doors stops. A few murmurs across the room and Mako has a gut feeling. He places his ear on the wall above the door to hear beeping, priming, and accelerating quickly. Mako orders the room to take cover behind something as he boosts himself with fire away from the door. Suddenly the door explodes, and insurgents move in under the fire of Mako and his platoon.

"We need another barricade up!" Mako shouted, which one of the waterbenders attempts to setup but is blocked by a squad of insurgents spreading out along the wall of the room. Mako is firing bolts of fire, trading projectiles with his enemies as the other door bursts open, not to reveal insurgents, but Tonraq and reinforcements, who quickly take their place within the courtroom. The furniture is quickly being turned over for use as cover, and the rest is being destroyed by the commotion.

The insurgents form a wide front and begin to move forward with shields raised. Mako Seizes the attention of five waterbenders near him to follow his lead as Mako hurdles over the barrier in front of him and dashes obliquely toward the line, where he vaults over the edge of a court table and boosts himself over the wall of men to rain fire with his platoon from behind.

Soldiers are quickly knocked down as they begin reforming concentrically, and with a final push on the part of Tonraq's platoon, they are surrounded and commanded to surrender. The soldiers look to one another, and their CO emerges demanding the platoon to drop their weapons. With raised hands, everyone drops their guard, and Mako instantly scans the room for other noncombatants. Tonraq alerts Mako to further insurgent forces just outside of the building, which are being held up by a large platoon of Northern water tribe infantry.

"Mako! Get the chiefs and Kya and get out of here!" Tonraq shouts, and as he does so a grenade is tossed from the captured group, only for all of them to leap desperately outward.

Mako moves to the center of the stairwell and blasts his way upward, landing gracefully on a balcony and knocking on the door, for Desna to open.

"Come with me! We've got to get you three out of here!" he motions for Eska and Kya to come along. As this occurs, the door to the stairwell bursts open, pouring out hostiles as Mako shoves the two back inside and seals the door from inside with fire. He runs into the middle of the room and faces the outside wall where he breathes very deeply and leaping kicks toward the wall, melting open a big hole in the side of the building on the fourth floor. Eska grabs him by the forearm as she pulls him out the gap, and Desna follows shortly after scooping up Kya in a bridal hold.

At about the first-floor interval they leap off to hit the ground, stuck behind the wall guarding the courthouse. Mako Grabs her forearm in return and blasts himself over the 20ft wall to make an escape. Desna takes leaps and bounds off the courthouse making a graceful backflip across the border with Kya, a bit shaken, held in one of his arms.

Mako looks over to see the two, and he masks and hoods himself to keep him from being recognized. The other two improvise face coverings to disguise their appearance.

They move out of the way of the crowd in front of the courthouse, and begin to lay low, making their way to the residence, whose location is supposed to be a secret within the city. They begin moving through very narrow alleyways, Desna occasionally turning around and fabricating a barricade of ice to not being followed.

They were quiet, but swift. The house was unguarded, as forces from across the city were converging on the point of the courthouse. Mako quickly directed them across the street where they were halted by a squad of Waterbenders, inquiring as to their business. Mako directs the two behind him, but contrarily, they step around him and leap upward, bringing up thorns of ice from below their enemies, and firing several boulders of ice which explode on their contact with the target.

"How did you know those were hostiles?"

"Mako, they would have recognized us,"

"Would they though I me-"

"Mako!" Kya shouted. He shook his head and bolted into action, taking a knee beneath the balcony.

Mako helps Eska, Kya, and Desna up to the balcony to catch anyone inside off guard. Desna hangs down to help Mako up where they slowly open the door, checking corners, closets, and other hiding spots.

They were in Eska's room. Mako gently opened the door to creep through and scan the halls, which were silent. He checks his corners and as he swipes his way around the corner leading to the stairwell, Senna yelps.

Senna, relieved to see them, threw her arms around all four of them, "Oh! I was hoping you all were okay! I heard the explosions but had no idea what was going on," she said.

"The insurgents have attacked the courthouse, is there a panic room within this house?" he asked.

"Mako, I don't suspect it will be necessary to hide in a room. The location is supposed to be relatively secret within the community."

"I don't know if I trust the community all that much," he said, peeking out from behind the curtains out the window, "Hotah has far too many connections for me to not be on my toes all the time. When you feel safe, tends to be when you are most in danger."

"Mako," Eska placed one of her hands on his shoulder, "I think we are safe for the moment," she said. Mako looked over to Kya with his one eye, and she nodded in agreement.

"Alright," he resigned, looking back at Eska. He closed all the curtain, however.

Mako sat in the chamber, taking the pitcher of water, and drinking from it. Senna raises her hands to the pitcher he holds, tilting it gently downwards so that he doesn't overwhelm himself, as he had a habit of doing whenever he gets anxious.

NWTA landships rolled gradually through the city uphill to the commotion to close in on the insurgents, who were still locked out by NWT forces. There were a few rounds of tank fire, and then silence, as the four looked at one another.

Eska briefed Senna on exactly what had gone down, and why they had come back to the residence, asserting that Tonraq was still within the group of soldiers fending off the insurgents within the courthouse. Senna looking worried for Tonraq, Kya places a hand on her back to comfort her.

Kya looks at Mako as he drinks from the pitcher, having offered it to everyone else who declined, and notices several cuts.

"Mako!"

"What's the matter?"

"You're bleeding. These are deep cuts!"

"I'll take him to my room; I have field dressings stored there."

"Aren't you a healer though Kya? can't you just lay hands on it right quick?" he asked.

"I am a healer, but before we get anything done healing-wise we need to close those wounds! Go up with Eska." She said to him.

Mako walked, trailing shortly behind Eska until she got to the top of the steps where she stood aside for him to go into her room, after he entered, Eska noticed that it was dim, as the evening was soon to set in.

She picked up a series of candles in a holder and brought them to Mako, "Would you light these for me?" she asked. He paused in the darkness before taking the candle set from her hands. He pinched each one individually, purple flames flickering for a moment from his fingers as he did so. She waited for a moment, looking at him as the candles lit the underside of his face, turned downward to look at her.

"Take off your shirt," she said.

"Again, am I supp-" she rolled her eyes and immediately began to disrobe him, unbuttoning the front side of his shirt.

She aided him in taking it off, as he was starting to feel the sting from the cuts. She left into the washroom to emerge with a small bucket of water and a towel, which she laid over the wooden floor.

"Lay down," she said. From out of the bucket of steaming, warm water, she drew a washcloth, and as she did, she lowered the candleholder to bring more light where it is needed.

She stood briefly and removed her parka and overcoat to reveal her within her tunic. She then removed her moccasins and placed them by the bed neatly. Mako had never seen her in such light before.

She knelt next to him, "Now simply relax," she said.. She gently began to run the warm washcloth up his back, making sure to only apply very gently near the cuts themselves. His back was toned to Eska's notice. Lats, traps, delts, obliques, and erectors were all very clearly detailed as she ran her hands very gently along them. The cuts weren't incredibly deep as Kya might have let on, some may not require stitches at all, though some were a little more substantial.

The cuts were accompanied by other scars and marks which drew her curiosity. She continued admittedly a little longer than necessary and rinsed his back thereafter gently with a boat placed within the bucket. She began to dress his wounds, having been trained to do so in lieu of being a healer since childhood.

"I am going to suture a few of the wounds that you have here later," she said to his dismay, but for now, she wanted to check him from the front.

He rolled over onto his side to reveal his body from afront. She examined him, noting bruises, and one substantial cut. She gently took the rag once more, beginning by swabbing his chest, prominent and substantial in size, she moved lower, navigating his abdomen, descending until she worked her way around the cut on his lower abdomen, which she would admit to making her nervous. She examined his trousers that clung tightly to him, noting no wounds visible. He was nervous about having to disrobe so thoroughly while they were alone.

After she gently rinsed his body from the front, she told him to flip to his backside again. She pulled out a needle, sterile suturing, and disinfectant. After sterilizing the needle, she approached one of the more substantial cuts and bit her lip thinking for a moment.

"Close your eyes," she said, which he reluctantly did. She gently pricked the skin which made him a bit uncomfortable, but he bit the towel and kept his eyes closed. As she sutured along she gently closed the wound with her fingers, eventually tying It off at the end.

She gently navigated the others while they were both in silence, only interrupted by gentle groaning as she closed the wounds. She felt strange about having so much power over him in the moment, but it excited her. As she completed the last of the suturing, she said that he would need to take it easy for the next week or so, or the stitches were likely to come unraveled.

He gently sat up, and she brought him the pitcher of water from earlier. He looked up at her, as she was holding one of the candles by its sconce. They were on the edge of the night, and they were lonely. The room was getting dark save for the candles that had been lit. He places his back against the frame of the bed, but she pulls him back away from the bed frame and leads him easily along up to the bed itself and makes space for him with the covers.

He sits up on the bed, as she holds a candle between the two of them. The sun has nearly set entirely, leaving the two in darkness. She sets the pitcher on the nightstand.

"Thank you," he said to her.

"I ought to be the one thanking you for helping to take care of things today," she said.

"Of course, it is my job, I mean, not that I wouldn't try to help you if it wasn't or anything…"

She slowly moved into him, placing her own hand onto his, the one he had felt prior to dinner with Tenzin and Kya, delicate and smooth.

As he laid on the bed, he stretched out his legs, from his other side, Eska reached over him gently to place the candle next to the pitcher on the nightstand. As she did so, she gently maneuvered her left leg over to the other side of his hips and leaned forward, so to be on all fours, stretched out over himself. From there, she closely caught eye to eye with Mako as his heart was beating out of his chest with anticipation.

She looked down at his neck and brushed her hair from her face as it draped downward. She rocked forward and took him, laying into his neck as she supports his head from the other side, placing her hand on the headboard to keep her from falling too far forward. His neck was warm on her lips, and smelled of him, a scent he uniquely seemed to emanate, and one she had come to adore, as she adored him. He lightly gasped and placed his hand on the back of her head as she continued to suckle. He writhed slightly at the sudden tingling that this act gave him all over, he felt warm, as did she.

He breathed in very deeply as the room began to be filled with heat. The more he engaged into her, the more energy his body began to emit, this made her excited, and she bit her lip again.

After a moment she released from him, dragging her head slightly down over his chest before raising herself back up to face him eye to eye. His breathing had sped up dramatically and she found great comfort in his now radiating body. She placed the side of her face against his chest, and as she did, her own felt cold. He took notice of this, and took her hand, placing one within his own, and breathed, and as he did, she began to melt.

He brought her body in closer and enveloped her in her wrap-around tunic.

A second into this embrace she wiped away sweat from her brow, he asked if she felt too warm, placing his hand on her leg, and that she would be welcome to remove her tunic in favor of what she wore underneath. Her eyes and face turned fixated on him, as his hand as he wasn't thinking about it, had slid up to the conjunction betwixt her hip and waist. He blushed visibly and his jaw dropped for a moment, this could be seen despite the darkness of the room. She smiled stiffly but slyly at his recoil.

"I'm not wearing anything beneath this," she mouthed to him as she pulled him away from the headboard to lay flush against the bed, with her straddled over him. She drew back the covers and slithered her way beneath them, placing herself over his radiating chest, drawing lines on it back and forth with her finger as his breathing moved to a gently quickened pace.

She could feel his excitement, and she, although nervous, took somewhat of a strange pleasure in exerting her hand in his level of arousal. She turned and drew the covers back over them, locking in the warmth she craved. Her hands were freezing, and his body was a haven for them. She continued caressing him all over as she leaned in and planted herself on his lips. He raised his own hands, placing one behind her head, and the other in the spot that had driven her so much earlier, and as he gently ran his thumb through the crease of her hips she moaned very gently. She placed her hand atop where his had wandered, guiding his thumb in a gentle massage as she slipped her tongue into his mouth demandingly meeting his own.

She raised her hand from her hip, shaking, with her breath and chest moving accordingly, and she raised her body six inches from his, and smiled at him.

"I love you," she whispered.

He smiled in return, "I love you too, Eska."

She rolled over to his side and threw her bare leg over him, enveloping herself in his right arm, and laying her head upon his chest, now beginning to settle from the event that had just transpired. She planted her ear where his heart rested beneath the surface and listened to its beating. She placed her hand on her own for reference. As she listened she was gradually lulled into rest.

Suddenly Kya called the two downstairs from their current position, and their eyes went wide as they stood from the bed and attempted to redress themselves, with a little bit of nervous giggle they started out the door, fixing their hair on the way down.

"What took you two so long to come down?" Kya asked with a sly grin, to which Eska replied that she was just finishing up with Mako, which received a raised eyebrow and a smirk from Kya as their faces flushed red. Kya turned away with laughter.

"What's so funny?" Senna asked, observing the blushing pair, "Wholesome talk I hope," she said as the others laughed nervously. As they laughed there was a loud knock at the door. Senna went to answer.

"Senna wait," Mako halted her, "Let me answer the door for now," he said.

He opened the door to witness a pair of water tribe soldiers in full uniform standing in front, one short and muscular, the other one tall and lanky.

"Hey," he said awkwardly, having opened the door. Senna and Kya facepalmed in the background trying to contain themselves.

"We are looking for Mako," The taller one said.

"Who's asking?"

"Tonraq, the chief of the Southern Water Tribe has been wounded in the uprising that just occurred. He has requested that Mako take over the security of the household until he is able to return." Senna had moved just behind where Mako stood, and her hand went over her mouth. Mako placed both hands on her shoulders.

"Where is he right now?" Mako asked.

"He is currently not taking visitors as he needs to rest and recover, however he is in the emergency room of Northern Water General," the smaller one said.

"Thank you for letting us know," he said, "I am Mako."

"Have a good evening," the shorter one said, raising his hat from his head for a moment before the two turned away, and Mako closed the door. He took Senna, and gently sat her on the couch as Kya sat next to her.

"I was always worried he might get hurt out being a hero," she said softly.

"He's going to be alright sweetheart," Kya assured her, "That is a wonderful hospital, and they have great doctors there," she said.

"Tonraq is a stubborn man, he will come out of this well I'm sure," Mako said, as unsure as he might have been about saying it.

"Senna, why don't you lay down for the evening," Kya said, "I'm going to make dinner for you all this evening," she said. Senna laid down on a pillow and rested as Mako went to prepare her some tea to help her feel more at ease, fetching Eska's favorite.

Eska accompanied him throughout the process of preparation, observing the way he selected the sachet of choice from his satchel of tea supplies, and the way he poured the water and planted the sachet for steeping.

"I admire seeing you perform something with as much competence as you tend to exhibit," she said, breaking the silence within the kitchen.

"I like seeing you in action too…" There were some looks exchanged for a moment regarding alternative interpretations of what they just said. Kya simply listened and grinned at their awkwardness but sweetness toward one another.

Mako brought in the small cup of tea for Senna offering it to her personally, for which she is grateful. He places it on the parlor table next to the sofa on which she rests.

Mako returned to the kitchen to store all his teamaking materials. Eska lightly tugged at his shirt for a moment, and he turned.

"What's up?" he asked.

"Can we-…" she paused looking down and off to the side a moment, "get back to what we were doing before?" she spoke quietly. He grinned warmly.

"Here?" he asked.

"No, I meant-"

"I know, I'm just messing with you," he snickered, "Let's go upstairs," he said.

"You're lucky you're good looking," she added with a monotone voice.

They proceeded up the stairs and into the room, easing the door shut again and crawling into the bed together, which had been disheveled from their previous exit. Mako laid sideways onto a pillow, and she nuzzled her back to his chest, seating herself in the curve of his body and grabbing his arm to wrap it around her beneath the blanket. He became warm again, and Eska began to bask within the field of heat which he emanated.

Her cold body gradually became enveloped in his radiation as she nuzzled her hips down into him. Mako gently navigated his arm down to her hips, which he pulled into himself, receiving a light gasp from her. She leaned backward, and her shape fit into his. She pressed the back of her head into his chest as he took her hand and intertwined his fingers with hers. Her eyes steadily drifted shut. He continued to breathe deeply, and as his own eyes drifted closed, he gently kissed her atop her head.

The two of them enjoyed much needed rest in silence except for some light snoring on the part of both. They rested for an hour until they woke to a knocking on the door. Mako woke, gently navigating out of the bed and placing his shoes back on to not give it away that the two had been in bed together. He sparked a lantern to give the room some light and opened the door

"Hey, I have dinner ready for you guys if you're hungry."

"Okay," he said, nodding and rubbing his eyes slightly. She peaked in, spying Eska still sleeping, and smiled at both.

"I will also have time for spiritual enlightenment this evening. Are you prepared?" she asked.

"Oh, yeah! Absolutely," he said with some level of enthusiasm.

"Good, I'm glad that this is helping you some," she said before making her way back down the step.

He eased the door near shut, and quietly made his way over to where Eska had laid out and gently caressed her face to wake her. Her eyeshadow was a bit smudged. He adored this look on her for a moment, then running his fingers through her hair to clear out any tangles

"I could carry you down the steps if you like," he said.

"As enticing as that might be, I think I will walk myself down the steps this evening," she said, making her way into a pair of moccasins.

They walked out together after Mako had snuffed out the lantern and moved over to the steps. Mako stared at her haziness for a moment before suddenly slipping and falling feet first down the steps, bouncing the way down until he hit the ground floor.

The only thing he remembered happening thereafter, as dazed as he was, was hysterical laughter unsuccessfully hidden at the top of the steps. She was laughing so hard she fell over onto the floor.

"Whoa what happened?!" Kya ran over and asked.

"Oh, uhh, I kind of fell down the steps," he said looking up to Eska in hysterics at the top of the steps, feeling around to make sure his sutures were still intact. He smiled looking at her from the bottom of the stairwell.

"I don't think I've ever heard her laugh this hard before," he told Kya softly. He explained to her that he hasn't heard her ever laugh so hard, Desna walked out to perceive the commotion asking what had brought on the laughter, laughing a bit himself when Mako explained.

"Mako," Eska said, coming to her senses, "Let me check your sutures right quick," she said with a grin, taking him aside into a hallway and feeling her way around where the stitches were laced. Not noting anything out of the ordinary she smiled and turned him back around to kiss him again. They attended the dining room together where Senna was waiting and laughing,

"Mako dear are you alright?" she asked, trying to contain herself, "I'm sorry, I just heard the yelps, and I was really worried you might have hurt yourself, but I couldn't help but laugh at the noises you made coming down!"

"I'm alright everyone, I promise," he said, but he surely felt better knowing that Senna had felt at least a little bit better.

They spoke around the table telling funny and awful stories like the one which had just transpired as they were eating and appreciating all that Kya had prepared. Mako got into one story when he and Bolin were kids and they both managed to walk straight into a closed glass door on the streets in republic city, and how the owner of the shop made them clean off the face prints before laughing, giving them ice cream, and sending them on their way.

Thereafter the meal, Mako spoke to Senna, "Can I do the dishes with you tonight?"

"Oh, always sweetie," she said smiling. Mako neatly took care of all the dishes and silverware, cleaning and drying. He found a set of arms wrapped around him from behind as he leaned over the sink.

"Why do you enjoy washing dishes so much, Mako?" Eska asked.

"It's relaxing honestly, and I like helping out Senna wherever I can.

"Dishes are boring," she said, as she lays her head on his back and as Mako continues to dry the remainder of the flatware.

As he replaces all the dishes into their original spots, Kya walks in, and he closes the cabinet.

"Are you ready?" she asked.

"I am, thank you, Kya," he responded, He turned to Eska, "Will you be okay for the rest of the evening if I work with her?" he asked. Eska yawned for a moment.

"I will be turning in for the night soon," she said to him. Mako kissed her gently on the forehead in the case that she would not be awake by the time he came up with her to rest.

They both navigated into the chamber where she had lit a few candles and he sat with his back to the fire and began the process of clearing his mind. He took a series of graduated deep breaths and felt the fire against his back. He removed the uniform shirt to cool off and feel more uninhibited. He gently folded it and set it down next to himself and began to breathe.

"So," she began, "What have we covered? We started the root, the sacrum the sola plexus, and the chest, Correct?" she asked.

"I think so," he said.

"How are you feeling about everything we've done so far?" she asked with concern, "I know that we've gone through a lot of difficult things that were hard to talk about, and I just want you to know how proud I am of you," she said. He waited a moment, looking off to the side.

"I've never really talked about any of this before. I don't think I've ever had the opportunity to talk about it, except some with Eska and some with Asami back when we were dating," he said, "It feels like I'm getting a lot off my chest, which is nice… There is also something I've wanted to ask you about." He spoke.

"What's up?" she asked.

"Well, recently I've been having people come to me, and tell me that I'm really… warm," he said awkwardly, "I don't know how that sounds, but the other day I had some people gather around me in the market, telling me that I'm exuding heat, and I've been wondering if this has anything to do with what we are doing."

"Hmm, this sounds like a firebender thing, but I'm not sure what to say. Well, maybe we should just keep going with it, and if it improves, then we will make the connection," she proposed. He nodded and smiled.

"Here," she began, "We move on to the throat chakra. It deals with truth, and communication, and it is blocked by lies, and inability to express. I want you to meditate and think about what you feel like you have trouble expressing, or better yet, what you are lying to yourself about," she said.

He begins to think deeply. He thought about Korra, and he thought about his family. He thought about having left without telling them where he was going. He thought about the letters he had written home… He thought about Asami again.

"I'm getting something problematic in the energy from your mind. What's on it?" she asked.

He waited for a good moment, "Don't think too much about it, or you could lock yourself up," she said, "Just start saying something and allow what is on your mind to flow out of you." He sat and nodded for a moment.

"Back in Republic City, Asami had come to my apartment to tell me that she was having trouble with Korra, and that she was scared. I tried to give her advice, and Bolin ended up reporting what happened to the police, but Korra eventually got word, and I tried to explain, but things just happened so quickly, and I locked up, and she was interrupting me constantly and…"

"And?" …

"She hit me and disappeared; that's what happened. I never got closure with her, and I never got to really talk with her about it… she just went off, thinking I was trying to reel Asami back in." Kya took his hand.

"What do you think you would have said if you had the chance?" Kya asked. Mako thought for a long moment.

"I wanted to tell her that I care about them, both. They're like family to me, and even now I still want them to be happy. I want for them to be safe and okay and at peace with each other, Even if it means that none of them have anything to do with me," he said. The fire respirated as he continued.

Kya paused a moment, taken aback by what he had said with a raised eyebrow.

"Do… do you about the whole history?" he asked, noticing her response.

"Not exactly," she responded. He proceeded to explain the history from Asami and her moped.

Kya shakes her head "…and then they got together?"

"I know, a strange turn of events, all things considered."

"That… That's rough buddy…"

"I won't lie, it took time for me to accept, and it's still weird to think about how my exes are dating each other. I was a bad boyfriend to both, so I kind of understood. I feel like I've made my peace with it now. I still love both, the same way I love Bolin," he said.

Kya smiled at him and placed her hand on his knee,

"I'm glad you've learned how to talk with others so well. You've done a really good job learning to express how you feel in this last week," she said.

He inhaled and allowed himself to decompress for a moment.

"Do you feel any other… blockage?" he asked. She stood up, and then knelt next to him, migrating her hand up and down his spine.

"I think it may be time to move on," she said, smiling to him, "I don't think you'll have too much trouble with it, as it feels like you're really open in this pathway," she said, probing his forehead with her thumb.

"This pathway deals with insight and intuition, and it is blocked by illusion," she said. He continued simply breathing further, not thinking too much into the matter.

Kya took out a canister of incense and asked that Mako light the tips. As he did so, she opened a canister of oil, and gently reached forward, to smudge a fingertip onto his forehead, just above his brow.

"Tell me, what do you know about intuition?" she asked. Mako thought for a moment, tensing a scowl.

"Hmm, I remember learning a lot about it while working as a detective. It's using instincts and feelings to act and solve problems that can't always be solved by thinking so much," he said, "They call it… gut feeling?"

"That's the idea," she said as she stood.

She then removed water from her waterskin and began to drape it around him. The tendrils curled gently and began to glow. Mako closed his eyes and emptied his mind, feeling very tired suddenly, sinking into his own mind comfortably, and drifting peacefully away from himself.

He remarked this as his eyes began to grow heavier on themselves, and Kya, in turn was silent. His posture released, and his hands went limp. He yawned for a second and…

"How long do you think we'll be going tonight?" he asked… silence returned.

"Kya?" he asked as he felt a warm wind on his face. He opened his eyes and saw the masters again. He was atop the cliffside at the ruins of the sun warriors, with his arms stretched out in surrender to their mercy or cruelty. He faced one, Ran, and then the other, Shaw, who surrounded him together. He didn't fear for his life this time.

"… …" a voice uttered in a very deep tone. He didn't respond, he had nothing to say, but his mouth remained open as if to say something.

"Why is this happening to me?..." There was no answer, just their scowling faces pointed down upon him.

"What do you want from me?" he asked, receiving a huff like the roar of an engine from one of them.

"You have no place to ask these questions, mortal." Said one as it slithered in the air around him. The voice was guttural and low, Mako feeling it speak with a sound that could be felt just as much as it is heard, and the growl it issued as it spoke originated deep within the powerful, booming vocal cords of the dragon's throat.

"Go to Xai Bau's grove. There you will find the completion of your spirit."

"What is Xai Bau's Grove?"

Shaw descended from his place in the sky to make eye contact with Mako, and as he did, the dragon spat forth a beam of colorful light to touch his forehead. He envisioned a beautiful grove with trees and leaves falling to the ground eternally, red just like the evening sun. He eyed a pair of figures in the distance, and one turned, closing in on him…

"Zaheer!" he said gasping as he jumped up from his seated position within the chamber.

"Kya?" he looked around and asked. She walked in from the other room.

"You're awake! are you feeling okay?" she asked

"I need your help; I've been given instruction by something I saw."

"Wait, a vision… who-?"

"The masters, the dragons, Ran and Shaw… I can't tell you too much about it, but they told me I had to go somewhere."

"Where did they say you had to go?"

"Some place called Xai Bau's grove; I remember Korra talked about it once, but I can't remember when she did or where we were."

"Hmm, why on earth would they tell you to go there, I mean…"

"In my vision of the grove I saw two people, and one of them got really close."

"Who-…"

"Zaheer." He spoke.

"…" she stood for a moment placing her hand on her chin and the other on her hip.

"They said I would find the completion of my spirit…" He facepalmed, hearing all of this come out of his mouth, "I know that this all sounds so ridiculous, and this might have all been just a dream, but I have… a gut feeling…" He elaborated.

"Xai Bau's grove is the home of the red lotus, and it's definitely nowhere near the water tribe."

"Where is it?"

"Mako, it's in the spirit world!"

"That's right, that's why I couldn't remember where it was. Should I go to investigate this?"

She continued to think, "Well… it would definitely be spiritually formative, but… also dangerous. The spirit world is full of dangerous and ancient… well, spirits! and I don't want you getting lost."

"I'd be happy to guide him." Said Desna from around the corner. Kya paused.

"Are you sure you know your way around the spirit world?" she asked.

"Of course, father took me there originally, even before the portals had been opened, although it has been a while since I have set foot through the portals, in part, due to my aversion to anything reminding me of my father."

"What do you think is waiting for you there Mako, I mean, what does the Red Lotus have to offer?"

"Good question…" said Mako who sat in one of the chairs of the chamber. He recalled his vision specifically of the masters when Kya began to probe the field of his Ajna. He saw two figures in the distance, but only one he could see foremost approached him. The other remained at a distance. He explained this to the two of them. This other figure obviously had some association with the Red Lotus and Zaheer himself.

"Well, what did the other figure look like?" she asked.

"The other figure was tall, slender, and obviously a woman."

"P'li," muttered Desna as the two turned to him.

"P'li was a firebender that Zuko took Eska and I to see whenever Zaheer attempted to free her. We fought the other members of the Red Lotus off well, but when Ming-Hua came out with P'li on her back, we were routed. She was very tall, and very thin, but her key feature…" The others zoned inward to listen.

"She could create these… violent explosions without any movement. She could create them utilizing her cognition and focus alone."

"That's right! She's the one with the tattoo on her forehead," said Mako as he jumped up from his chair.

"Hmm… well, I suppose if you went with Desna, then you could come back home in one piece, but I should warn you again that the spirit world is extremely dangerous. It's no place for humans to simply wander around."

"We won't be wandering. I believe I have a map I can fetch that will take us to through the networks appropriate to our predetermined location."

"Are you planning on going now? Sorry, I know I'm kind of holding you back here, but it is getting kind of late, and the city may be locked down pretty tight, today being considered."

"I can't leave Eska either…" he said thinking.

"Then perhaps I could join you as well…" said a quaint voice.

"Is it a normal thing to listen to everyone's conversations in water tribe homes?" he smirked

"It's the ice, it carries the vibrations. The walls don't keep secrets very easily." Said Eska, gently delicately stroking the wall of ice beside her.

"I don't know if I should be taking you into such uncharted territory like the spirit world, and, like Kya said, it's getting late," Mako said.

"Then we will rise early in the morning, and I will go, and you will simply come per your obligations as my bodyguard." Mako paused for a moment.

"Wait, but we still haven't figured out a good reason for venturing so far into the spirit world. It's not a place you can just waltz around," Kya brought up.

"Well, what if its them who will guide me spiritually?" Mako asked.

"Hmm, I don't know… Zaheer and his entourage were always very spiritual, but they were always a sketchy bunch. I was kind of looking forward to doing this with you, but P'li may have some insight you could use about the Ajna and its energy, and Zaheer could certainly teach you all about spiritual detachment, Guru Laghima and all, which will take you clear through the final group. I suppose it's worth a shot," she said to him, "but still, you should get some sleep. The day after tomorrow is the day of the poll, and you can't turn up missing before that. Moreover, I guess the real question is getting them to teach you of their own accord. What makes you think that they will?"

"That's a good question. Mako did kill Ming-Hua after all." Said Eska. Mako winced.

"So that's what her name was?"

"What makes you think that these people won't snatch you and throw you into the fog of lost souls? People go in there and never come out." Said Kya.

"… I don't know entirely. These visions have been with me for a year by now, and I don't even know where they are leading me. I don't trust Zaheer, and I certainly don't trust any of his friends either. I hardly trust the masters."

"Who about this do you trust, Mako?" Kya asked. Mako looked around for a few moments and thought, before looking up,

"I don't know…"

"Then I you should probably reconsider going at all sweetie," Kya said, resting a hand on his shoulder as he sat back down. Suddenly there was a knock at the door.

Desna answers, opening to see Tenzin, "Kya, we need your help," he said, looking awfully distraught.

"What?-What's the matter?" asked Kya.

"… It's Zuko, and he is gravely ill." There was a somber silence resonating in the room as they all looked at one another.

Eska joined Mako and Kya, but Desna decided to stay, imploring Tenzin to spend the evening, and having the guards lead Oogie to the stable. Tenzin directed them to the hospital near the harbor.

The three dressed themselves for the cold of the night and departed, making haste towards the hospital. Kya slipped, but the two caught her before she fell over.

As they rushed in they were quickly directed toward the room in which Zuko had been resting. Kya walked in as Mako and Eska remained in the waiting room. Firelord Izumi and Ursa waited, a handkerchief held tightly in her hands, but she wouldn't look up for a moment. Iroh II had only recently received the message of his grandfather's ailment. Izumi held Ursa tightly, and with an expression as stoic as she could manage. Ursa was in pieces, worried for her beloved grandfather.

Mako sat across from the two of them, not wanting to pressure them any. Eska sat next to him, taking his hand within hers. He hadn't noticed his own emotions on the matter. He remained in stoic composure, but inside he was deeply unsettled.

"It's good to see you," Izumi said softly through a trembling voice, fixing her glasses, "We were worried about you."

"It means a lot that you care," he said softly, "Is there anything I can get you or do for you?"

"No, I'm afraid I am okay for now," she said. Mako thought for a moment.

"What about water? When's the last time you had something to drink?"

"I'm- I'm not sure," she said, lightly trembling. He stood up and looked at her.

"I'm going to get a pitcher, I will be back," he said softly. She nodded lightly.

He walked from the waiting room to the lobby of the hospital where he spoke to the receptionist, asking if he was able to see to a pitcher of water. The man happily obliged, lending him a few cups to use. Mako bowed to thank the man and returned to the waiting room. On the table beside her, he gently poured two cups of water, placing them next to Izumi, and he then returned to his chair next to Eska, who took his hand once more, though he kept their clasped hands out of sight.

Time went by, and eventually, Izumi reached over, sipping at the cup that was laid out for her, offering the other to Ursa who did the same. They took deep breaths and were still visibly distressed, but a bit more relaxed. She looked up, seeing Mako. Mako let go of Eska's hand for a moment.

"Hey," he softly spoke, leaning forward to her. She drew her eyes down, clasping the handkerchief in her lap; she did not speak.

Kya suddenly emerged from the room, walking over to the others whose hands clasped whatever they held in anticipation, "He is stable, for now." Everyone breathed with a sigh of relief, "Izumi, Ursa, you should find a place to stay and get some rest for the night. Zuko is resting.

"Izumi rose, her daughter holding fast to her arm, "Thank you, Kya," she said. She walked over to Mako who rose with Eska out of respect.

"Thank you, Mako," Izumi said, gently bowing to him. Ursa's face remained buried within the sleeve of her mother's robe, deliberately avoiding a glance at Mako, and the two of them left together, accompanied by several imperial guards.

"Kya," Mako prompted as she turned to him, "Do you know what's wrong with him?" he asked.

"He's badly sick; it's a pneumonia. He didn't look very good at first, but he's stable now."

"Do you think we could stay with him?" Mako asked.

"I'm planning on doing that, myself, but I don't know if I should let you. I just dismissed her family," she said. She thought for a moment, "Keep quiet, I don't want him to wake just yet," she said.

Mako turned to Eska, "Are you going to be okay with this?" he asked.

"I am content to wait with you here for the evening," she said.

Kya opened the door and the three of them made their way in. Mako and Eska made their way over to a pair of hospital chairs and sat down together, Mako offering her a shoulder on which to rest her head. Eska accepted, clinging to his arm, and nuzzling her way between his head and shoulder. She simply snuggled for a moment.

"You should sleep," Mako whispered to her. She protested, shaking her head and being stubborn, but the warmth he emitted surrounded her, and she fell victim. Her body gradually went limp as she dozed off.

Mako was no stranger to long, lonely nights. Such was the life he elected to live as an officer of the law, and a private security worker for that matter. Sitting out in the middle of the night as everyone slept reminded him of the occasional shelter he and Bolin would frequent when it got cold, but Mako didn't know how to keep himself warm then.

He nuzzled against Eska's head, and looked up to see Kya awake, and half-asleep gazing at them.

"After enough nights in a hospital, you learn to sleep in these awful chairs." She said very softly. Mako smiled and gently nodded in response, "You should get some sleep as well, even cops need it," she said, rising to fetch the water from earlier.

Mako gently nodded off, nuzzling onto Eska's head, and leaning back against the wall behind him, she shifted softly in her chair next to him as he briefly stroked the hair on her head. It came before he was aware of its onset, and he gradually descended into a much-needed sleep.

His dreams were vivid, and his body lightly twitched and occasionally trembled as he rested. Within this state he felt himself sink and be swallowed down into the earth before falling into water. He swam upward to find the surface covered, and Eska atop the surface, clad in traditional wedding garb, walking down an aisle. As he watched, another figure stood next to her. They clasped hands, and Mako began to be pulled downward. He struggled to swim back up, witnessing the palms of their hands tied together, turning towards each other to kiss and embrace one another. He wasn't breathing; he was choking in fact. Eska turned, contorting her own arm, and her face was covered in stains from her makeup that had run over. These stains were black and oiled, and her eyes turned black with them.

"Eska!" he said pounding on the ice. Just then, the man dragged her away, reaching for the one beneath the ice. He continued pounding, still choking and drowning.

"Mako!" she cried.

"Mako!"

"MAKO!" he awoke with a gasp, his eyes wide and his body stiff. He looked around to see Kya knelt before him and Eska beside him, both wide awake.

"I'm sorry, I… uh-"

"It's alright. Don't worry about it." Said Eska. She still held his hand and seeing this he felt better.

"Is Zuko okay?"

"Yes, Zuko is doing fine. He had a fit of coughing earlier, but he is breathing much better now."

"How long have I been asleep?" he asked amused by his strange awakening.

"Approximately one hour. It's not uncommon to have very vivid dreams when resting after sleep deprivation." Said Eska.

"That definitely explains it."

She took his hand again, "Go back to sleep." He invited her to resume her position on his shoulder, but she placed her hand on the other side of his head and drew his down to her shoulder where he snuggled her.

As Mako continued his rest he dreamt again, but not of the previous wedding, and not of the masters. He witnessed the stars passing by him in the sky as he laid out on the ground during a cool night. He saw moons dance in binary orbit in the sky, close and visible. He witnessed the northern lights as he had done many times since his time in the North pole. A recognizable figure approached him as he laid in the fields. The shadow reached out to him, her face barely visible, and cupped his face.

"…Mom?" he asked audibly.

He awoke again, however, a few more hours had elapsed since his previous awakening.

"Mako," said Eska.

"Wha-.. What's the matter sweetheart?" she directed his face over to where Zuko had been sitting up in his hospital bed, looking substantially better than he had before.

"Zuko!" he said ecstatically, rising from his chair and bowing gently.

"Mako, it's good to see you." He said as he smiled through his illness.

"Should I go to get Izumi and her daughter?" asked Eska.

"Actually chiefess Eska-…"

"If I may have a moment alone with Mako. I need to speak with him regarding a few urgent matters." Kya and Eska were a bit taken aback by the request, but gently bowed and gave the two the room.

"How are you feeling?"

"The way I am feeling is irrelevant now Mako, as we are running out of time… it is you alone that I will speak of regarding this matter, a matter which it is dire you keep to yourself," he said.

"Okay, what… what's the matter?" he asked.

"… It is very soon that I will be leaving my body behind," said Zuko

"But… you're better than you were before?! Why-?"

"Now is not a time for questions Mako… It is a time for answers alone."

"But-… Izumi! And Ursa and Iroh-"

"—They will all be well and content with time after I have passed on," he assured, reaching out to take mako on the shoulder, "I assure you, my life will not cease, but will be in a new place." Mako took Zuko's hand where he rested on the bed, appearing distressed.

"Come here son…"

"… I can't let you leave yet," Mako said, "What answers do you mean?" asked Mako as he moved to his bedside.

"… I don't know if it's my place to ask…"

"Is it about the masters?" Zuko gave for a moment, and then nodded.

"I had visions, and a lot has happened since then… These things have happened over and over and again, and the masters have spoken to me in them. Kya has led me on a spiritual journey that has me moving through chakras and their energies."

"… I saw my parents, I saw Bolin, I saw Korra, and Asami, and my time on the streets, and everything I ever loved. I saw it all taken away from me." His voice began to weaken. "Today I received a vision telling me to go to Xai Bau's grove, but it's in the spirit world. I've been told that Zaheer and P'li will offer me spiritual guidance, but-…" Mako paused

"But what son?"

"I don't know. I don't know who they are or why they would bother to teach me. I fought them and I killed one of their own." Zuko paused, rather wide-eyed.

"Is everything okay?" asked mako

"Oh yeah, it's just a lot more than I was expecting is all," he said laughing, transitioning to hacking. Mako placed his hand on his back to soothe him.

"You can't leave us. Not now. We need you. I need you." Zuko looked at Mako and smiled

"You don't have say here son… this is so much bigger than you, and the path you are on only goes for-" he broke to hack

"I heard a man read from an old text the other day, what was it he said?" Zuko began, "When a student is ready… the teacher will always appear." His breathing became shallow… Mako's grip tightened, and tears flowed gently down his face.

"And when the student is truly ready the teacher must disappear."

"Zuko, what- No-" Zuko raised his head to look at Mako, looking him in the eye.

"My time has come," he softly assured Mako took his hand and held it as he began to shed more tears upon the bed.

"I-… I'm not ready," he said, his voice breaking. Zuko Smiled to him, turning to rest his head.

"No…-please… How am I supp-" Zuko's grip gently loosened.

"Zuko…" he whispered, unable to bear saying anything further.

Mako wept in silence… resting his forehead on the edge of the bed as Zuko rested.

As time passed, Kya became wary of the silence of the room, and gently knocked, but heard no answer. She and Eska quietly stepped in to witness Mako, now reduced before the firelord. Kya placed her hand over her mouth and began to break down.

"He was suppose-…" she stepped out.

Eska somberly walked her way over, standing next to Mako.

Mako remained silent, gradually returning to his stoic, equanimous expression, gently setting Zuko's hand down upon his chest.

He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, then proceeded to reverently take the blanket which lay over him and raise it over his empty countenance. He then proceeded to walk with steadily, but with purpose out the door. Kya was gone, likely to alert Izumi with the news of her father's passing. Eska glided along the floor in her usual fashion, following after Mako short suit. He turned to look at her,

"What will we need for the journey?" he asked.

"Desna has already packed for us by now," she said.

He attempts to walk to the door, but she halts him, turning up his chin to look at her. His eyes still glistened and were bloodshot. He was often averse to eye contact, but this time he didn't have trouble maintaining. He just looked back into her eyes this time. She brought him in and held him, bringing his head down over her shoulder. As she did so, he returned the embrace, bringing his arms around her to hold her tightly. His breaths became deepened, and she felt the tears flow over her shoulder as he tightened his hold. He resigned his direction for the time being.

They held one another for a good time as he shed himself for the moment upon her shoulder. The hallway was empty, silent, with no one around to witness this moment. She stroked the hair on his head steadily, slowly, rhythmically, giving him solace and love with every brush. She gently removed him from her shoulder, to look at him again, she grasped a soft cloth from her robe, and wiped away his tears as he winced. He turned his head away as his eyes shut, but she grasped his chin, and turned him back.

"Let's get you home for now." She whispered

"…Okay."

The trek home was somber, and there was little wind. The warmth which he once radiated, steadily faded, as he began to grow cold, and shiver. She brought him inside quickly, taking him over to the fire and setting him down in the parlor where she quickly took her parka, draping it around him, and holding him again, as the heat he once emitted had subsided. Senna walked into the chamber, having not slept a wink, and she sat next to him, taking his hand.

"How long until sunrise?" he asked.

"Mako…," said Eska. He looked to her, "It would be advisable we get more sleep. We will need it for where we are going." Mako nodded, thanking Senna, and bidding her to sleep as well, even going as far as fetching a blanket and a cushion on which to rest her head.

Mako and Eska ascended the stairs, reaching her room, at which she opened the door gently and prompted him inside. He pinched the candles upon the table at the foot of the bed, and she closed the door thereafter that they wouldn't be trapped within the dark. He was tired. He began to work with the fastenings of his uniform, and eventually removed his shirt, revealing his standard white tank top beneath it. He sat on the bed and pulled it over his head revealing the suturing on his back, which Eska took a second to look through before allowing him to go down to rest.

She dressed down to her tunic and opened the covers to invite him between them. He turned his way in, facing her as he laid. She sat up for a second and with a breath of frozen air, she blew out the candles.

She laid back down and reached out to him to embrace him, and she drew him inward, albeit a bit forcefully. He complied, wrapping his arm around her, and his head she pressed to her breast. Her body was cool, and her skin soft and delicate.

He immediately found himself deep in dreamless sleep, and though his prior sleep had been interrupted frequently, on top of the vivid dreams, his rest was thorough, and satisfying.

He woke to find himself of a clear mind and a rested body. He was still in Eska's embrace; She was holding him very tightly. It was morning and the sun was a little above the horizon. He raised his head, but Eska's grasp was insistent. He decided to stay without much argument, and returned to his embrace of her, placing his leg in between hers, and raising her top leg over his hip gently so as not to wake him. She pulled his head into her chest again, and he heard her heartbeat. It was strong, and clear, and surreal to listen to.

He kissed her gently on her sternum and she writhed in place for a bit before settling down. She half-opened her eyes to see him intimately interlocked with her. She felt the stains of the tears he had shed betwixt her breasts and as she looked down, she caught eye-to-eye with him. He was having trouble keeping his eyes open, and she found this amusing; she smiled stiffly, looking down to him. She ran her nails through his hair, scratching the top of his head, causing him to further relax, and she laughed silently at this.

There was a knock at the door. It was a bit early for visitors, however. Their eyes both shot open, and they sat up. Mako walked over from the bed and sat himself by the vent where the fire from downstairs lent its heat. There he quickly fixed his hair and Eska tightened the laces of the neck of her tunic. Mako watched her as she fastened them, and her hips peaked out of the sides of the robe. Kya stood at the door, stating that she had prepared breakfast for the family, and wanted to talk with everyone before anything happened today.

Kya eyed Mako sitting by the fireplace and smirked at Eska with a raised eyebrow. She placed her hand on her hip. Eska tilted her head, confused for a moment, until she looked over to see Mako, barefoot and shirtless.

"Oh, uhh-…" she said, averting her eyes from contact and blushing a bit. She drew her tunic a bit further up her chest to cover herself a bit more. Kya signed a 'sealed lips' gesture and winked for a second, before giggling and going back downstairs.

"No, wait-... it's not like that!" she said nervously.

"I know, I'm messing with you! Come down for breakfast!" Eska turned back around to Mako who rested his back and head against the wall, face turned toward the vent.

"Get dressed, we will have to be downstairs soon."

"I know babe, I heard," he said to her. She moved over to the fireplace and knelt next to him.

"How are you feeling?" she asked him. He gave it a second.

"A bit better." He said looking over to her. She smiled faintly.

"I love you."

"I love you too. Thank you," he said. She took him in her arms for a moment and fixed his hair for a little bit, before prompting him to be dressed and downstairs soon as she put on her overcoat, which draped down to her legs. Mako put on a new shirt and a pair of slacks before following her downstairs shortly. As he descended, he looked to see Senna in the parlor, sleeping rather peacefully, and he smiled at the sight.

It was already midmorning and Kya had prepared a breakfast of meats and oats of diverse sorts.

She placed everything on the table, "Is there anyt-"

"No…" Kya interjected, "Sit down… you have a long journey, and you need to eat," she said.

Desna arrived shortly thereafter, placing his pack down in the corner of the kitchen. Kya went to gently wake Senna and she brought her into the dining room to join the others. She was still rubbing her eyes and yawning as she sat down. Before anyone began, she halted the family.

"I know things have been really tough in the last few days. I want you to know that I love you all, and that I am proud of how you have been there for one another. I know we aren't related," she said as she took hands around the table, "But I like to think of you all as family of mine." There was silence for a moment.

"Now you may eat," she said as everyone smiled.

"We love you Kya," said Mako, taking a roll from the basket.

"I love you guys too." She spoke.

They ate together that morning, and as Mako gathered plates, Kya handed him a bag of seal jerky

"Go pack for your spirit journey, you will be leaving soon," she said, kissing him on the side of his face.

"What does one wear in the spirit world?" he asked.

"Wear the traditional Water Tribe outfit we got for you; you'll need the warmth. Desna's ears perked slightly at this.

Mako packed quickly, as he never really took much with him, but as he descended, Desna and Kya's jaw dropped.

"Wait… isn't that outfit… Unalaqs?!" Kya asked.

"It was her idea, the clothes just fit," he countered as she giggled at the table.

"We needed for him to find a traditional outfit for the Republic City Banquet, and the outfit was leftover as Desna wasn't tall enough and didn't like the robes so much."

"Wait, the banquet is in Republic City?" Mako asked.

She nodded as she ate. He disregarded the information in favor of focus on preparation for the journey.

"Desna, do you remember how to get to the spirit portal?" asked Mako.

"Yes, Tenzin has offered to take us to the portal itself part way on Oogie's back. However, once we arrive at a junction halfway, we will be taking a snow catamaran, as the winds will make it too cold for Oogie to being flying around."

"Understandable, it gets pretty bad up there." said Mako as the group collectively nodded.

The group finished what they had been eating and gathered their dishes, placing them neatly within the kitchen. Senna sent them off with an embrace, imploring them to be safe and be careful. They clad themselves in warm clothing, even Mako prepared himself for the sheer cold that awaited them.

They walked out of the door, Kya wishing them well and waving as they boarded upon Oogie's back. Desna and Eska were notably nervous, having never been aflight before, much less on a flying bison.

"Are you okay? You look a bit uncomfortable," noted Mako aloud.

"I've never been very high off the ground before, and I find the idea of heights to be rather… unsettling," she said.

"You've never been on board an airship, a bison, or a plane before?" asked Mako.

"I have never, I have always preferred to be within my element, sailing on the waters instead."

"I can understand that."

"Is everyone prepared? Are we missing anyone?" inquired Tenzin.

"Everyone's here Tenzin, thank you for helping us with this." Mako responded.

"Anything I can do to help! Everyone hang on." Said Tenzin as Eska held close to Mako's arm for stability, while Desna opted to cling to the saddle.

"Yip-yip!" he called out as Oogie leaped into the air with grace. Eska closed her eyes for a moment looking a bit anxious, tightening her grip on his arm. Mako stroked her hair, grinning at her discomfort.

"I'm glad you find my perturbation amusing Mako." she stated matter-of-factly as he snickered to himself.

"No, I was a bit nervous being on an airship myself once, so I can't say I blame you much." She opened her eyes and raised an eyebrow.

"I promise you don't have anything to worry about." He said as the frigid winds blew through their hair. The airs were cold, but not near as freezing as the three originally thought they would be, and with Mako's residual radiation conjoined with the breath control coming from Tenzin and Oogie themselves, the temperature was quite bearable.

"Do you want to look? It's really beautiful from up here," Mako noted, staring out across the tribe at midmorning.

"I'll look when I'm ready!" she said as he snickered to himself. Desna already had long since opened his eyes and was absolutely marveling at the view from the saddle. His eyes were wide, and his mouth opened to say something, but he hadn't the words. Eska turned to see the tribe from overhead, and pried one of her eyes open, and as she glimpsed, her other eye was drawn open in awe.

She sheepishly neared the edge of the saddle, still holding fast to Mako's arm, and gazed out over the tribe and the ocean, eyeing where the sun shined upon the sea itself.

"Wow…" she whispered. Mako grinned at her curiosity. Mako pointed out their destination, barely visible over the horizon, explaining that they would be arriving in a matter of twenty minutes at most. There was a notable pause within the conversation as they gazed out over the tundra. His hair deviated a bit from his topknot, which had been organized with a decorative fire-nation ribbon which he had received during his time doing security work for Izumi. Her hair was cleanly braided into two lines down the sides of her head, a look that suited her, though with the wind, her hair as well had been gracefully strewn out of place. The backdrop of the midmorning sun gave her a highlighting hue that gathered around the edges of her image.

"You're staring," she said softly.

"I'm sorry," he said, "You're very pretty in this lighting." She smiled and blushed a bit. A thought crossed his mind.

"Has anyone ever told you that you were pretty?" he asked.

"I don't recall anyone having told me before you."

"Really? No one has ever told you that? Ever?" he asked.

"Well… I suppose some suitors HAVE come to me before to 'profess' their love for me, but it's easy to see through such propositions, especially when they come to me with some run-of-the-mill betrothal necklace that their father bought for them. Many times I have been called beautiful, but you were the only one who believed it." There was silence in that moment thereafter.

"We are nearing the junction, be prepared to jump!"

"Wait, JUMP?!" said Desna and Eska in unison as Tenzin and Mako burst out laughing to their confusion.

"I told him to say that I'm sorry," he said giggling on his back while Eska began to beat him with a rolled-up piece of paper from her purse. They soon arrived shortly after the twins had ceased hitting Mako with various objects within their reach. Mako thanked Tenzin for humoring him, and the twins thanked him for the transportation assistance, which he most heartedly responded to with welcome as he shortly thereafter turned to return to the tribe.

The trio looked out over the tundra, sprawling with spirits encompassing the energy emanating from the portal itself, which beaconed into the sky with a guiding light through the fog for them to follow. The wind had picked up and the twins stayed close to Mako, who would be their source of warmth for the time being.

They trudged through snow to the junction, making their way into the building through the double airlock, brushing themselves off and sealing the door to the first one as they moved into the secondary chamber. The building was very cozy, and surprisingly well insulated. A man approached them as soon as they entered the lobby, bowing to greet them. There were several departments within the junction, including a restaurant/cafeteria, a hotel, a supply store, a vehicular rental facility, and even a small gift shop.

"I extend you an offer of hospitality and counsel this morning; It is my utmost pleasure to host the chiefs of the Northern Water Tribe."

"I suspect that the rental of a catamaran for our journey to the spirit portal would be sufficient. Thank you," Eska raises.

"Such I will arrange immediately," the man returns with a beaming smile and a bow to the chiefs before hastening away.

The man glided his way across the floor with his hands folded, making his way to the front desk where he gathered paperwork and presented a bill for day-rental of such equipment.

"I will handle the paperwork," Eska stated, "You two plot our course and prepare for navigation." Mako and Desna looked at one another and proceeded to operate with compass and pen, analyzing terrain, any problematic obstacles, and where the ice thickness may be relatively questionable.

Eska entered the room where they plotted, "It is finished," she said, producing a set of keys

Their catamaran had awaited them within the garage, and once loaded within the vehicle, the man who maintained the facility would open the door for them to exit through.

The trio gathered their belongings, and Eska led them to the hangar within which their vehicle awaited them.

"Is the catamaran bending powered or does it have an engine?" Mako asked.

"I selected a bending powered catamaran as I deemed they would be more reliable through the cold weather, as fuel tends to freeze once you get too far north," Eska responded, approaching the hull.

Mako jumped up the side of the hull, "It doesn't look like there are any loading ways," Mako said, "Here, take my hand," Mako said, turning around.

"I'm afraid that won't be necessary," Desna stated, raising himself upon a pillar of ice to the top of the hull with grace. Eska looked up to Mako, before batting her eyes a bit and extending her hand. Mako smirked subtly, taking her hand and aiding her up to the top while Desna descended through the hatch, rolling his eyes at the gesture from earlier.

"I will man the navigation, Eska, will you take the pilot's chair?" he asked, Eska scoffed with a smirk.

"Perhaps you should take the pilots chair and I the navigation this time, brother, noting your… occasional navigational inadequacy," she said.

"I take it you've gotten lost once or twice?" Desna shrugged and smirked a bit.

"No, not once, not twice, but SIX TIMES we gave him a map," Eska turned and said Mako winced, patting him on the back.

"Don't worry man, it happens to the best of us, especially in the poles. There's nothing out here," Mako said, patting him on the side of the shoulder.

Mako placed his pack beneath the navigators table as Desna seated himself.

"Mako," Eska prompted as he turned to her, "Perhaps you ought to ignite the pilot light, so the engine can warm itself for the meantime," she proposed. He nodded, opening the hatch to the engine block, and whispering a flame into the chamber.

Mako proceeded over to the intake, removing his glove and flowfully filling it with warm air. The cabin began to go from freezing to a more bearable temperature. Desna pulled a few levers that opened the intake valve to the engine block, as the maintenance man opened the door to the garage. Desna popped his head above the cabin to close the hatch and stepped over to fasten the door closed. He had trouble at first but managed to make do, as the insulation proved to be an extremely tight seal.

"Desna, are you ready?" he asked. He nodded in affirmation, and he spat forth fire into the belly of the engine, causing the vehicle to rumble like a snoring dragon.

Eska pushed gently forward on the throttle, as the engines on either side began to raise in pitch. The turbines were those of a plane, attached to the front side of both hulls on the vehicle.

"Eska, what's our ETA?" inquire Desna

"Approximately ninety minutes at the rate of forty miles per hour," Eska stated, raising her voice over the purr of the engine now being filled with heat by Mako.

"I can manage that," said Mako. He reached over and opened the bag of seal jerky Kya had given him earlier, tearing himself a good piece before chewing it up and placing it to the side of his mouth.

"Mako, we're going to need more thrust," stated Desna from the pit. In response, Mako deeply inhaled and forced himself through the intake, and as he did so, the crew felt a substantial lurch as the vehicle roared and sped to a good fifty miles per hour. Desna fought for the control of the beast, eventually gathering his footing, demanding direction from Eska who commanded him to the North, modified twenty degrees to the west, to dodge a cliff they approached. Desna gently redirected their course, acknowledging the direction. Desna engaged the prompt light on the intake valve so to signal Mako when to supply more thrust into the engine.

Mako forced more energy into the engine, lurching the catamaran soaring to sixty MPH before Desna proposed he shut the intake, as the vehicle can only navigate seventy-five. Mako shut and locked the intake column and seated himself next to it, tearing off another piece of the seal jerky for himself. The ride continued rather silently, as there wasn't much worth talking about over the lull of the engine. Mako would occasionally reopen the hatch and spit fire into the metal pillar. He took a pitcher of water and drank from it, noting that since he had begun, he had been sweating profusely. With how often he performed intense training, it wasn't unusual for him to return rather soaked. Acknowledging this, as the prompter turned green again, he opened the hatch, and removed his coat and shirt before giving life to the engine again.

Eska looked up from her map, eying his figure, very triangular from the shoulders, broad and rounded to his abdomen, slim and distinct. As he turned into his strikes, she perceived his lower back and hips in their path of flexion, defining themselves more as his sweat trickled down. She lightly it her lip as she observed, until she looked over at Desna to witness him peaking over and smirking.

"Shut up," she said throwing a scroll over at him.

"I can see the map isn't the only thing with your attention; It'd be a shame if we got lost."

"What's up?" asked Mako.

"Nothing Mako, just keep doing what you're doing," Eska told him, Desna laughing to himself. Mako shrugged before shutting the hatch again and waiting for the prompter.

The catamaran carved its way through snow with grace, gently skating atop the ice without disturbing it too much, there was the occasional lurch that the ship would give as it hurled from a snow drift, but it was never anything substantially bothersome, at least assuming nobody tried to walk around.

Desna prompted Mako one last time before telling him to close out the shaft, as they were to arrive in less than a minute. Mako did so, locking the hatch for the last time. He seated himself, taking the jerky and smelling it very thoroughly.

"Why are you smelling the seal jerky?" inquired Eska.

"Well, I've just never tried jerky quite this flavorful. I'm just wondering what all is in it."

"She has a secret recipe that I haven't been able to pry out of her, something her uncle made up." She said to him, quietly snatching a piece from his bag.

"We're here; I am going to park next to that mountain over there just outside of the border radius. From there, we should have a little way to hike, but the ship should be safe out here."

"In the cabinet of the far wall of the cabin should be some skis that may help us navigate." Said Mako to the group, but Eska turned and shook her head.

"Skis are heavy, as ideal as it may seem, they'll do more to weigh us down in the long run. It would be best that we leave them here." Mako nodded and gathered his bag, sealing the bag of jerky, and donning his clothing once more.

Desna closed off the engine block from the column and released any remaining pressure from the shaft, and extended pistons that propped the catamaran supportively from all sides, that it wouldn't sink into the snow as it lay parked. He pulled another lever and the propellers folded in and retracted into a cover which shielded them from the cold.

"The ship will use the remaining energy to maintain itself, assuming we aren't gone for more than three days." Said Desna as he stood from the pit and stretched. Mako donned his hood and mask and as everyone prepared themselves, they stepped out into the sheer cold of the northernmost point of the earth.

They trudged their way through snow, continuing toward the portal and sticking very closely together, but as they approached the border, the snow became lighter and less difficult to deal with.

They finally arrived at the edge of the crater that harbored the beacon, and they sat to admire the sight itself, now covered with spirit vines and flourishing with spirits swirling around the wellspring that awaited them. The twins carved their way down the crater, making it to the bottom as Mako himself opted to climb his way down one of the vines, understanding the need to be carefully reverent when surrounded by so many spirits.

The three climbed over massive limbs of vines, often many meters in diameter before they were finally in arms reach of the portal itself.

"It's been so long brother," she said as Desna sighed,

"I suppose it has, sister."

"Are you ready Mako?" she inquired.

"I am ready when you are," he stated, gently smiling as he shut his eyes and stepped into the light.

Chapter 5: V: In The Light of The Blood Moon

Notes:

"I would like to preface this chapter by alerting the reader of certain, sensitive content present herein. It was my attempt to recreate a scene straight from a Shakespearean tragedy within this work, and thus if you are sensitive to anything surrounding suicidal ideas, if you feel like you may have a weak stomach, as there are some descriptions I put the reader through, intended to evoke more visceral images, or if you are particularly unsettled by thoughts of terrorism/insurgency, slavery, sexual exploitation or abuse, explosions, or violence, then you, reader, ought to tread very cautiously through this chapter..." -Sean A.

Chapter Text

Part V:

The group entered the white of the portal, asking to the other side of the circle, and witnessing the tree of time, back where they had been not a few years earlier.

"All the delightful memories are flooding back," said Desna, sneering at the others who steadily proceeded to laugh at the remark.

They began the trek referring to Desna for directions, navigating outside the arena encompassing the tree of time and the N/S portals

They began to step outside of the arena and witnessed the landscape shift around them. They looked at one another, but Desna assured them that it was normal, though unsettling at best. As they wandered Desna pointed out places to not step or to step on specifically. As they continued to travel they found themselves in a grassy landscape. The sky was very bright blue, having shifted away from the luminescent purple that characterized the arena.

Desna proposed that they take a break and be seated, taking careful not of where to set themselves.

The three sat, and took note of all that was around them, admiring the wonders of the wilds in which the spirits abided.

"How long do you suppose it will take us to get to the grove?" Mako asked, receiving silence in return. He turned back around to look at them, realizing that they had disappeared. He stilled for a second, and then jumped up.

"Eska?!" He called out to no avail. He sighed, facepalming.

"Where did they go?" He asked. As he asked himself, a shadow moved out of the corner of his eye. He turned to find nothing. He lit daggers of fire, to perhaps ward off the threat.

He lowered his guard for a moment, taking a deep breath to calm himself, and he continues his walk.

He witnessed a shadow again, and suddenly felt a threat coming on. He had a gut feeling, summoning the daggers of fire from his fists once again.

"Who's there?!" He called out.

Desna closed his eyes to get a temporary reprieve from his analysis of his map. For three minutes he rested, opening his eyes to find himself in a swamp. He jumped and took his map open and sprawled around, trying to find where he was.

"Not again," he said, "only this time you don't have your father to help you." He sat and sulked a moment. He reached into his bag, pulling out a photo. It was a photo of he and Eska, hiding beneath the tail of their father's coat, laughing as kids. Their mother must have taken the photo. He lowered the photo to witness a man of exactly his father's character standing before him.

"Hmm, the renditions of memories have a lot more substance than I recall," he remarked out loud. He picked up his pack and began to walk out of the forest, until he felt a hand on his shoulder, stopping him. His head went down, staring at the floor for a solid minute; he mumbled,

"…why are you here?…"

Mako looks around again, calling out to whatever stalked him, "I said who is there!? Show yourself!"

"Don't yell too much here, it's not respectful to the spirits," said a voice from behind him. A young black-haired boy had appeared, carrying a sword on his back and a knife strapped on his side.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to disturb you, I…"

"Don't worry about it. You're lost. Your first few times here, you get lost, you're lucky you still have a body to work with though," he said.

"Do you know your way around here by any chance?" Asked mako.

" I know that you feel like you have a destination here, but you should know that the spirit world is much like the real world. You're going to go through a lot of wild turns of fate before you reach what you've been looking for, if you ever do."

Mako recoiled, thinking such is very philosophical for a boy of such young age.

Mako turned to look out front the forest, "I have to get to Xai Bau's grove."

"I know," said a different voice, wispy, but still young. Mako turned to see a young man with a scar.

"…Zuko?"

"Winter, Spring…

Summer, and fall…

Winter, spring… summer and fall

Four seasons… four loves.

Four seasons…

For love."

The song echoed within her ears, eerie, distant, and redundant, instruments improvising over variations of the original tune after the song's lyrics themselves.

Eska began to sit and rest, shutting her eyes and napping for a moment. She laid down on the floor of the forest to find it surprisingly soft.

The grasses grew around her as she laid, tickling her skin, and enveloping her. The sun came out above her, warming her gently.

She opened her eyes to find herself among a different dimension. She sat up to find the sky overhead clouded, and herself suspended on a platform of earth by a tree. Beneath the platform, she looked over the Edge to witness quite a long way to the ground.

At the ground was a bog perhaps a foot deep immersed in water. She carved her way gracefully down a tree and planted herself on a large root. She looked out to many of the wandering spirits that surrounded her, opting not to speak to them.

She folded her hands within her robe and proceeded Along the surface of the water. She kept it vividly in her conscience, The thought of Xai Bau's grove, hoping the thought will intuitively lead her in the right direction.

She wandered all along the surface, admiring the sights around her, eventually settling on a patch of ice which she generated along the surface of the bog. She shut her eyes and thought vividly of the grove, with the trees, the sun, and the meadows encompassing it.

She looked out to the moon feeling its lullaby entice her to rest. She closed her eyes and felt it's pull on the tides.

"I've heard the stories that you are alive; a loving, dutiful spirit; I always thought they were rumors," she monologued, "I've heard so many stories about your origins, when you crossed over to become mortal and material."

"I read about the moon-slayer, and how he destroyed the tribe snatching you out of the pond and burning your physical form."

"… but the tale I recall most vividly is that of the wolf and the moon."

The moon simply shines down from the sky, strange and distant, but seemingly alive, and gentle.

"It was always something my father would tell me before I went to bed as a child. He was always a good storyteller."

"The tale was so… beautiful, but too tragic and graceful to be true."

"What longing it expressed though, the quality of star-crossedness in the stories of the two lovers, it reminds of the tales of Oma and Shu, and the tragedy of the love of Avatar Kuruk."

She neither felt nor heard a response; she simply felt the moon stare back at her from her place in the sky.

"Talking to the moon?" Asked a man from behind her. She did not turn to face the voice.

"I do occasionally. I feel her watching me sometimes, ever since I had learned she was the original waterbender," she responded.

"I do too occasionally, she is a benevolent spirit, the moon," he said, "may I sit next to you?"

"You may sit yes." She turned to see him out of the corner of her eye, as he waded through the bog and seated himself within the waters.

"What is your name may I ask?"

"Eska, I am the chiefess of the Northern Water Tribe.

"Really? Unalaq's kid?" Eska shook her head and rolled her eyes.

"I'm sorry, it's just been so long since I had seen you. The last time I saw you, I believe you were maybe two. You've grown so much!"

She turned from the moon to face him. He was a fully built, tall man, clad in southern Water Tribe armor. He smiled at her before removing his helmet to reveal a prominent jawline, muscular face, and distinct ponytail.

They paused to return their gaze to the moon.

"The tales are true, you know."

She returned no response, simply continuing to stare upward toward the vast, shining moon.

"… about the moon, the moon-slayer, and the wolf."

"I was there; I saw what happened."

She continued in silence, as if meditating.

"What makes you not believe?"

"I simply cannot seem to understand how such a story would work out so romantically."

"What do you mean by that?"

She paused, "I suppose the REAL reason for that is that I have always wanted to know a story like that, but all I've ever been given is just the tedious endeavors of this life."

"Growing up, my father wanted to beget the avatar, but he received us instead. His effort and his time went toward being chief, and his own endeavors; he was never home. Eventually he exiled my mother, and we were left alone." Sokka's expression turned to a troubled look.

"… after he died, we took over his position, performing tedious work in the wake of the avatar's decisions. Our work has been spent cleaning up after Korra and my father, and the politics have gradually become unbearable." Sokka nodded as he listened.

"… I have come to be through a few relationships myself, only for them to end, very poorly, but the man I love now has been remarkably unique."

"What's his name?"

"Mako."

"What is he like?" She paused in response.

"… stoic, handsome, responsible and caring, he grew up raising his younger brother on the streets of Republic City, he worked his way into being a police officer and security worker from nothing and has adapted remarkably well since."

"I'm sensing something wrong in the tone of your voice." The tilted her head.

"Politics have come between us, and it has been prohibited that we be together." She uttered softly. There was a pause in the situation.

"Well… what did you hear about the tale of the wolf and the moon?"

"Most of what I remember from my mother telling me as a child, is about the loss, and the heartbreak as she ascended."

"Did you ever hear that he was me?"

She looked over and squinted as she tilted her head at him.

"You're the guy that made out with the moon? You're Katara's brother?"

"The only one!" He said with pride. She raised her eyebrows with the acknowledgement of the fact.

"What you didn't hear of the story were the logistics and politics involving it. The tale makes it seem so simple, but actually, it was really complicated," he said.

"How so?" She asked, staring into Yue's beam.

"Did you ever hear that she was engaged to someone else? Specifically to someone she didn't love?" Eska recoiled at hearing this.

"It had all been prepared for the day that she was of marrying age; her father had arranged a marriage for her to the son of a nobleman within the tribe, a man named Han's, and believe me, he was awful."

"Did you ever meet him?"

"Oh yes, it had been planned that I was to join him for a secret mission to counter the siege of the North, but I was taken out of the loop by Arnold after Hans, and I fought."

"What all happened?"

"Well he was talking up a storm about the political perks that came with marrying her, and his annoying voice didn't help at all. He said some things about my heritage, called me a southern rube, and I swung at him and pinned him down."

"Sounds like quite a situation."

"Oh it was… until Arnook came and told me he wanted me he took me out so I could look after his daughter."

"That's something I didn't hear."

"I was made responsible for her safety, protecting her from harm in the midst of the siege."

"Everything was okay until Zhao reached the oasis."

"Was he the moon-slayer?"

"HA! Is that what they call him now? But, yes in a sense, he was the moon-slayer."

"I stood by her side until the end, but I didn't think to protect the fish. She had this idea that she was responsible for the life of her tribe and her duty was to give her life and self to it."

"I felt the life go out of her as she healed the fish, and I just felt like a failure." She turned away from the moon to face him.

"The real story is never as beautiful as the tale. It's always full off garbage, and sickness, and grief, and boring logistics, and politics even."

She continued to look at him.

"Yours will be no different." He spoke. She paused to look back at the moon, and then back to him.

"Okay," she said softly.

"Can I ask you what brings you to the spirit world?" Asked Sokka.

"Well, the man I had mentioned before had been called here to visit a specific location, and my brother, Desna, planned to guide us, but we ended up being separated soon after we got here."

"Where are you looking at going?"

"Xai Bau's Grove," she said. His facial expression and tone both changed.

"Hmm, what business does he have there?"

"He was given a vision by a pair of dragons from the sun warriors ruins."

"I do remember hearing about those dragons. Zuko and Aang returned with some intense moves after they came home from their trip there. We had been camping out at the Western air temple at that time, shortly after the original invasion attempt blew up in our faces."

"… but I don't understand what business they would have with the red lotus. It was tough enough putting them in prison, but those guys are dangerous, spirit world or otherwise."

" When he received the visions, he was commanded to go and seek out a fire bender, one that could allegedly create explosions with her mind."

"P'LI? Why would you want anything to do with her?!" Eska shrugged her shoulders.

"I've dealt with a fire bender like that before, but he was a lot stronger than she was."

"How do you get close enough to take one out?" She asked.

"Well… you don't. I tracked the angle of his beam and nailed him with my boomerang. I got lucky."

"A boomerang?" She laughed.

"Hey now, laugh all you want, but ask Zaheer where he got that mark, and we'll see who's laughing then." She continued giggling.

"Well, I do worry about you going there, but if you want, I'd be happy to show you the way to Xai Bau's grove."

"I would be delighted," she said, smiling to him.

Desna continued to look at the floor, awaiting an answer from the apparition which he witnessed of his father not just a moment ago, the one that now had a hold of his shoulder, but he supplied nothing but silence. He breathed in deeply and slowly taking control of himself away from his emotions. His feelings stirred physically within his stomach, making him nauseous.

"All my life I knew you wanted something greater, but you were stuck with me, and my sister," he said in a calm voice to the floor.

"It was every day that you saw us in the morning, hoping for something different, but you were always disappointed. We weren't the avatar, so what did you care?"

"I gave up on you eventually, but what bothered me is knowing that my sister still had hope in you. I knew you were wise, and I knew you were a good chief, but you were anything but a father," he remarked matter-of-factly, "but she still loved you."

"… and now we have become more than you ever were. I will be a spiritual minister to the tribes, founding the position officially, with a good relationship with the avatar, or at least one not spent trying to annihilate her." There was remarkable silence between he and the apparition, it remained with his hand on Desna's shoulder.

"… and for this, I am proud of you…" it said in a voice that raised hairs on the back of Desna's neck, "… My son."

Desna turned, lashing against the apparition with spears of ice, only to find it had disappeared into thin air.

"Your pride…," he said, "Would have left me to die!"

He turned to walk along the path through the swamp to witness his father having reappeared before his way. He averted his eyes immediately, and in a few moments spoke with pain in his voice,

"Was I ever really your son in your eyes?"

With the passing of the wind and the calling of the beasts within the swamp in which he suddenly appeared the scene changed, rendering a small child in the arms of his father, weeping and inconsolable. His father had knelt to reach out to him. The creatures surrounding them began to grow silent, with reverence to the moment.

"I saw you die?" said Mako, his voice beginning to break, with drops running down his face.

"What you saw, Mako, was not near as relevant compared to what you didn't see," said the apparition of Zuko as he approached Mako, "What you didn't see is that I had elected for that moment to be when I left my body behind, to venture into the spirit world for the remainder of eternity."

"Why did you leave us?" asked Mako, "Izumi, they need you so much!" Mako's voice trembled as he spoke, and as he did, Zuko approached him, being nearly a foot shorter than Mako in stature.

"I have not left you, nor have I left my daughter or her children," he said in a softened tone, "I am not gone Mako, I am still here, and I will always be with you." As he stated this, his apparition vanished from Mako's eyesight, leaving him staring through the forest. His breath shook, and he looked around to see spirits which had gathered to marvel at the scene.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to disturb you," he said softly, hoping they would leave. He walked, trying to find his way out of the forest to find that they followed him.

Eska continued skating along the surface of the bog to follow after Sokka, who ensured that she was close behind him.

"How do you know so much about the spirit world? How do you know where everything is?"

"Over time being around the avatar, you come to find yourself pretty well acquainted with spirits. I had met quite a few across my journey in life, the moon being one of many of them." He took her hand and aided her up onto a platform, from which they walked on land further.

"I even found myself on a spirit world journey when I was about sixteen," he said to her.

"I never learned to meditate into the spirit world until I was at least eighteen, how did you find your way in on accident?"

"Well, it was sort of against my will."

"How-… What?"

"Giant panda spirit, Hei Bai, forest burnt down, he grabbed me and carried me to a big totem thingy, and the rest was all a bit of a blur, but then I had to go to the bathroom… really badly." Eska raised one of her eyebrows in abject confusion, before shaking her head and disregarding the matter as she followed him.

"It must have been some journey you experienced, travelling around the world with the avatar at such a young age."

"Oh it was! At first I was skeptical of Aang. I didn't like him, but Katara was fascinated with him from the start. She and him went penguin sledding and it was all downhill from there!"

"Penguin sledding?" she paused.

"Yeah, penguin sledding. Have you ever been?"

"What-.. What is it exactly?"

"… you've grown up in the water tribe for twenty years… and you've never been penguin sledding before?"

"I…- I mean I guess I haven't; I couldn't really even say what it was."

"Do you know Kya?"

"Of course! She is present back at the residence looking after Senna currently."

"Ask her to take you, but to not tell you what it is. You'll have a blast, I promise."

"Umm… okay- I guess?"

Mako continued walking, but every time he glimpsed to see the light at the end of the spirit forest, it closed again. He sat for a moment, and groaned in frustration, pulling the seal jerky from his bag, and gnawing at it as he rested. He laid back to relax on the floor of the forest, paying no mind to his surroundings anymore.

"Mako," said a voice, as he jumped and nearly choked on what he was eating. He paused a moment, giving a 'wait just a second,' signal to whomever had spoken his name and finally regained his breath and swallowed what he had eaten.

"We've been waiting for you, c'mon!" said the voice urgently.

"Zaheer?! How-… Aren't you locked away?"

"I am in body, but in the world of spirits, I have found freedom that can never be denied of me."

"Where are we going? Why are you-?"

"Where do you think we are going? Ask questions later, just stay close to me and follow my footsteps." Mako followed short suit, running after Zaheer, and he had hardly noticed that he had been out of the forest for ten seconds since he had passed into an autumn meadow.

"Our location is up on that hill, I'm running out of time to be out of my body, so we need to move quick," said Zaheer as he led Mako up the hill at a quickened pace. Mako had been out of the loop from police work for a while and noticed how his stamina had suffered since not taking a two-mile run for every morning as he woke. He was gradually becoming lethargic until he met with Zaheer at the top of the hill where many groups of people had gathered, some of them pointing fingers and whispering.

These groups all sat and conversed among one another, some looking as if they had been there for centuries, while some appearing as if they were still present in the physical world.

"This is Xai Bau's grove, the sacred home to the Red Lotus, you will treat it with the respect, and the reverence for which it deserves." He addressed Mako, looking him directly in the eye.

"I will." Said Mako in return, as Zaheer began to lead him through the small groups of anarchistic philosophers, foot soldiers, and splinter cells dedicated to the principles of freedom of all mankind across the world. Zaheer's feet always moved swiftly, but regarding the situation, his pace was extra fastened by the matter of necessity.

"What about the other two? How can I meet back up with them?" asked Mako, Zaheer did not turn to answer him.

"The other two will be fine, they will arrive soon enough. You have a journey to partake in for yourself, and right now, you need to focus on this matter alone," he said solemnly, "We're here."

They mounted a hill and Mako witnessed Zaheer's entourage staring to him as Zaheer approached. He was visibly nervous to say the least. P'li sat in the center of them, while to her right sat Ming-Hua looking less than pleased. Ming-Hua sat in the embraced on none other than the tattooed man himself. She leaned back to him over his crossed legs as he braided her hair. Both looked visibly disdained by Mako's presence.

"You're right on time," said P'li, not seeming half as displeased as the other two. She stood to embrace Zaheer, and they gently kissed for a moment.

"I have to go; I am running out of time to be away from my body. Mako," he said, Mako perking to attention, "Remember what I said about being here, and relax," he paused to look at the others, "They only bite once or twice," he said laughing as his image dissipated. The other two were left smirking by his remark.

"It's been quite a while since we've seen you," said P'li aloud. Mako didn't speak, having nothing to say overall.

"Listen, I know that there is a lot to discuss, but both of us know why you are here, and we are happy to help regarding your spiritual path." Mako continued in his silence dumbfounded.

"…Why?" he inquired.

"What do you mean?" P'li returned.

"What…- what is it that makes you desire to teach me? I killed one of your own, I supported the avatar and her cause, I fought and defended the son of a tyrant of a queen, and I make my living by defending what you have made it your goal to destroy." There was a distant silence among the four of them as the other three looked at one another.

"Come and sit down, we have some things to discuss," P'li stated as she led him over to be with the others. They sat beneath a tree together upon a small hill in the middle of a miniature valley or ravine at what seemed like midday, and she offered him tea, which he reluctantly accepted.

"How long has it been since we had last seen one another?" P'li inquired, directing the question not only toward Mako but toward the others as well.

"It has to be at least five years now." He said, looking down at his tea, still hot, but very fragrant.

"… and how long from the point where we broke out of prison did we ever really have the opportunity to sit down and speak?"

"Well, we never really did; whenever and wherever we met there was always fighting, and we usually lost," Mako responded earning snickering from the other two.

P'li sipped from her teacup, completing her portion, before placing back on the plate, and returning it to the basket from which the remainder of the tea set came from.

"Your brother tried," said Ghazan in his trademark deep and rugged tone of voice. Mako rolled his eyes at the remark.

"I know that Zaheer was always adamant about keeping our motives secretive, but part of me has always wondered if more people would come to our aid if they knew what we wanted, and who we were for that matter."

"Anarchists?" Mako raised deepening the air of whispers around the group.

"We tend not to use that word around here, it shines an unflattering light on our philosophies, but though our ideas make be similar to those of anarchists, we don't think of ourselves that way," she elaborated.

"Then what are you?" he inquired.

"We are people who want many of the same things that you do. We are a people who have endured very much under the hands of people in power and have seen the darker side of money and royalty, and what these things do to people who hold onto them."

"I can extend some understanding to that," he stated as they looked to him, "Growing up on the streets, I had to do a lot of things that I can't say I'm proud of, just so my brother and I could get by. I found my way doing dirty work for syndicates like the Agni Kai's and the Triple Threats," he said. Their heads tilted, intrigued by the thought.

"I learned what money did to people. I met crooked politicians, crooked cops, mob bosses, and people with a more implicit power over the underside of the city." The others nodded. P'li looked down to her teacup for a moment,

"Have I ever told you about how I met Zaheer?" she inquired.

"I don't think you've ever told me anything," Mako responded as the other two laughed briefly at the remark.

"Well then…," she began, when I was a little girl, my parents were killed by a warlord whose influence panned over a large portion of the region where I lived. I was too young to remember where it was, but I do remember the moment he and his men broke into my home, slaying my parents, and raping my sister, before killing her as well." There was a somber silence in response to her statement.

"My mother had hidden me away in a basket, but in the process of ransacking the house, they had found me. They didn't know what to do with me, so they proposed they just take me as a slave so that they could sell me."

"Over the years I was whipped, raped, and beaten until I could barely move, and out of desperation I tried to run, but they tracked me down and punished me in ways so awful that my mind won't even let me remember."

"P'li," stated Ming-Hua in an under toned voice as Ghazan extended a hand to hers, "You don't have to talk about this. He's hardly worth it if you ask me."

"No, I assure you. I will not be destroyed by these things, and if my story helps someone to understand us then I don't want to withhold such things."

"When I was able to walk again, I was blindfolded, and brought into a prison where I stayed for weeks. They only fed me what they fed the animals in the cage next to me, with water that reeked, but as much as I was hungry or thirsty, I couldn't help myself. After a few weeks they took me out of the cage and blindfolded me again. I was too weak to fight them. They took me where I heard screaming from all around me, and when they removed the blindfold…"

"I saw blood everywhere. I was in a pit surrounded by wretched men that stank of liquor and sodomy," she said in a morbid tone of voice, "a gate opened at the opposite side of the pit, and I was faced with the largest bear I had ever seen."

"What kind of bear was it?" inquired Mako.

"I… I don't know, the face on it had seen so many fights and so much abuse that it couldn't be said by anyone there, all I knew is that I had to fight for my life, but all they threw in for me were a few sharpened sticks."

"I tried to fight, but the bear overpowered me, and the last thing I remember was screaming with every fiber of my being, and then silence. When I came to, the bear was gone, and there was a massive hole in the cage, and everything was on fire…"

"I was so scared…" she said to him as she began to shed tears. Many of the small groups had silenced themselves and moved away from the group perceiving the matter spoken of to be sensitive in nature.

"They took me and put me away again, and I stayed there. The days turned to weeks, and the weeks turned to months… and then the warlord I had seen from before came to me and pulled me out of the cage and threw me into the dirt. They took me and fed me. I was so hungry they had to fight to get food away from me so that I wouldn't hurt myself."

"They put me in another pit where I faced a number of soldiers, many of which were the men who murdered my family. The warlord demanded I repeat what had happened in the pit, but I told him that I didn't know what had happened and begged him to let me out. He ordered his soldiers to kill me. I tried to avoid them for as long as I could, but my body gave out, and they finally cornered me. They stabbed me in a few places before one of them pulled a knife and tried to take out my eye… and that's when it happened."

"What's that?"

"I gasped out of shock and felt something throbbing in my forehead for a second, before I saw an explosion."

"The man that had tried to kill me was gone, parts of him here and there, and the warlord told me to do it again, ordering the others to kill me before I could. I tried to repeat what I had done before, but it didn't work out as well, but I managed to make it out alive."

"I didn't even know what I was doing at the time. They took me back and put me into a cage again, saying that they would kill me if they came back, and I couldn't do what I had done before." There was a notable pause in her story.

"What happened then?" inquired Mako.

"… I saw him," She said, "He was meditating in the cage next to me. He turned away food, only taking water, but he didn't look scared, he looked so calm and content. I asked him what his name was, and he told me."

"He told me that he had grown up and orphan in the town we had been in at the time. The warlord had imprisoned him for being bold enough to challenge one of his highest-ranking officers, and winning the fight, killing the man. He was only a teenager, but he was wise, and confident, and powerful."

"A week passed, and the day came that I was supposed to produce whatever I had done before again, and I made my peace with death, but the warlord was going to be a day late, so he had one of his officers stop by the prison to facilitate the fight. On his way over to my cage, he saw Zaheer, and flew into a rage, knowing that he had killed one of his allies. Zaheer was meditating, and as he opened the gate, Zaheer swept him off his feet and disarmed him, killing him with his own blade. I begged him to help me, and he turned to look at me, but more soldiers came into the prison, and he leapt from a window. I wept more than I had ever done in my entire life. I had given up."

"I tried hanging myself from the rafters of my cage, but the rope snapped, and I fell to the floor, and wept more from there. I fell asleep from the exhaustion and woke up to the butt of a spear prodding me in the face."

"I begged whoever it was to just kill me and get it over with, but when I opened my eyes, he was there. I jumped up and begged him again to get me out, and he opened the cage telling me to follow him. We went upstairs in the palace, where we were caught, and chased by guards."

"We found ourselves corned against one of the highest windows in the palace and the guards came down the hallway, ready to kill us, and in that moment I was just so angry."

"I planted my feet and closed my eyes, Zaheer pulling me to try to get me to jump out the window with him, but I opened my eyes and gasped the way I had done earlier, and a beam of fire shot from my forehead, and I fell backward. As I looked up, all the guards were gone, incinerated. I had destroyed him."

She giggled a little, "As morbid as the situation was, his eyes went wide like saucers, and he told me how amazing he thought I was that I could do that. It was the first time anyone had ever shown me kindness."

"He led me out of the palace, and we ran as fast as we could, snatching an ostrich horse so we could get as far away as we could before the warlord had returned. When we finally stopped, we were halfway across the world. He helped me with food, water, clothing, and shelter. I had never known such things before."

"He told me that he was with an organization called the red lotus, a family of people spanning across all four nations, for the purpose of true humanity and freedom, and keeping these things away from the hands of sick men. I didn't even care, I just wanted to be like him. He was brave, strong, bold, and loving, and free… and that was more than I had ever known." There was a somber moment of silence among the group.

"I…" Mako had no words, just emotions.

"I know it doesn't answer your question, but just try to know that we aren't just terrorists. We are a people that have been wronged by sick men, and we have made it the quest of our lives to free all of the people of the earth from the hands of dictators who seek to pervert justice."

"I… that…," said Mako shocked by the story's vile content.

"We want to free you just as much as we want to free everyone on earth, and you should know that all freedom begins with the freedom of the self, and the spirit, because as you have seen with Zaheer, sick men can take our bodies, our minds, and our hands, but they will never take our spirits, and this is where you begin," she said, standing from her seated position, "and this… is why we desire to teach you."

"… Okay," Mako said, standing to meet her and nodding reverently, "Thank you."

"So tell me about this guy you've been seeing," said Sokka as he moved a branch out of the way of his path, gently, to not step it.

"He is a former police officer and detective. He took up security work, guarding the earth king, after Zaheer did away with his predecessor."

"Oh, THAT one. Y'know I'm kind of glad I don't have to deal with her anymore, she was always upset about something and threatened her servants constantly. Her father was easier to work with."

"More of a pushover you mean?" she proposed.

"He did have the habit of letting a lot of his advisors walk over him and go behind his back, Long Feng," he sneered, "But regardless, he always seemed to be very… Grounded and down to earth."

"…"

"…" She lowered her face to one of her hands,

"Was that-?"

"Yes, yes it was, c'mon! We're almost there." Eska stood for a moment, sighing, and shaking her head, before following him.

The young child from earlier began to calm down, still in his father's embrace.

"What has brought you to the spirit world, Desna?" The child looked down for a moment, explaining from there.

"We have to take Mako to Xai Bau's grove, but I lost the other two, and I don't know what to do now."

"We will find them then. I was on my way to the grove myself. Will you walk with me?" The child rubbed his eyes for a moment before nodding as he took his father's hand. In that moment the swamp grew lighter, the colors of the environment shifter to a more natural landscape, and they proceeded out of the opening of the swamp pathway together.

As Mako looked down from his position now standing, he noted that his bag had come loose, and resultingly had fallen to the ground exposing its contents, being a bag of jerky, a North Pole map to the spirit portal, a canteen of water, and a noticeably well-crafted betrothal necklace, of which the others took notice.

"Oh… that's handcrafted, Northern water tribe silk. Who's the lucky girl?" Mako paused in response not sure how to answer, Ming Hua sighed and rolled her eyes, "Or guy I guess."

"Her name is Eska," he said.

"Wait, isn't she Unalaq's kid, the really deadpan one?" inquired Ghazan, the ears of the group perking at the mention of Unalaq's name.

"Yeah, actually, she is Unalaq's kid," Mako said scratching the back of his neck.

"I can see it, that makes sense," Ming-Hua responded, receiving nods from all around, "When were you planning on proposing?"

"Well, some things have sort of… Gotten in the way," he said awkwardly.

"I heard that she was planning on proposing, but only after I was nominated for a position in the Northern Water Tribe government, and that would prohibit me from being romantically involved with her. A bunch of things happened between now and then, but the referendum election is tomorrow, and I have to do my best to not win."

"… I hate politics," Ghazan remarked from the silence.

"So, where are we planning on starting, concerning the spiritual journey?" Mako asked. P'li looked to the others and then beckoned him to follow her, which he did shortly thereafter. They came upon a clearing in the meadow, that had been perfectly smoothed and levelled over, and they approached the center of the courtyard, where he witnessed a massive rendition of the red lotus insignia placed over the center, and it was here that they sat.

Ghazan placed incense within small pot, many of which lined the border encompassing the insignia, and it began to burn, filling the air with a thick, unique scent. Mako breathed very deeply for a moment, before shutting his eyes to begin to empty his mind.

"The first thing for you to do is to separate yourself from your thoughts," stated P'li

"How do I manage that?" inquired Mako. P'li thought from a moment.

"The mind is a complex creature, that, in a way, can be considered separate from our spirit. With time and practice, we can find a way to become more observant of our own thoughts and emotions, and this not only instills in us a unique sense of self-awareness, but heightens our capacity to be aware, and it is awareness, and insight that we seek for ourselves that will open our Ajna to be independent, and free of thought and intuition."

"It is in freedom of the mind that our philosophies begin," stated Ming-Hua out of the silence.

"Just take a moment to pay attention now to the condition of your mind. Ask yourself what you think is running through it now, and simply wait, allowing for your mind to flow much the way a river does." Mako breathed deeply into the silence, and gathered himself to be centered, breathing rhythmically and silently. They all sat in peace as the spirits began to gather around them from a distance. Usually they tended to stay away from the court, but they were curious as to the energies radiating from the area.

"It is in this awareness that we will begin; do you feel like you have a sight on the contents of your mind?"

"I think so."

P'li walked to the other side, running her hands flowfully over his spine. Mako felt a sense of probing along his neck, until she reached his head.

"I sense some blockage within your mind. What has you worked up?"

"Hmm, I've been thinking about the recent insurgency, and how we will manage to deal with it in the tribe before they destroy everything."

"Sounds like quite a bit to think about alright," stated Ming-Hua.

"It's been on my mind the last few days and I haven't been able to drop it. I'm worried that they'll hurt the people I love, and the things I have been sworn to protect."

"Then it is even more vital that you allow these things to pass through your mind without entertaining them. You deem it necessary to be worried about this, because you fear losing the people you love, and this, is part of your humanity, but for you to maintain a positive impact on the world, to the fullest of your awareness and cognitive capacities, then it is vital that your mind be without inhibition of any form. One of the greatest illusions of this world is that of the idea that worry itself can alter the future, but it does not do this, we do through our actions and our approach to everyday life. Worry motivates us, but is not necessary, and should never be allowed to control us."

"I sense that this tether is strongly held within you, why do you think this is?" inquired Ming-Hua. Mako continued to meditate, scowling in concentration. P'li takes notice and reaches into her satchel, removing a small canister of oil. She slipped forward to him, smearing some of it gently across the surface of his forehead.

"The eyebrows are often indicators of the status of the soul and the mind. Yours are tense," she said.

"I'm always tense," he responded softly but deeply.

"Why do you suppose that is?" she inquired.

"I don't know, I've never been able to get anything done if I don't force myself through everything. Tension and worry are what drive me." P'li sat in front of him and tilted her head gently.

"Do you hear yourself? What you are saying now?" she inquired, "We are firebenders, and our bending is an extension of our energy and drives. Fire is life and it is ambition, the only of the elements that continues to spread without the aid of the bender. Do you mean to tell me that as you bend, all that fills your fire is worry and fear?"

"Fear is strong, it keeps us alive."

"-but it controls us if we aren't careful. As firebenders we must be cautious in understanding our motivations, lest we end up destroying the things and people that we love," she said to him sweetly, "Can I ask you a question?"

"Absolutely," he responds to her.

"What are the things you worry about? Where does this come from and who is it for?" Mako thought heavily, "There is much turbulence within you." He thought through the people he fears to lose, and the things he had worked to obtain through his own endeavors.

"I have so many people now that I never knew years before. I grew up knowing that I had to care for my brother, or it would mean the end of us. As we got older it never changed, and I still worry about him, but I worry about a lot of other people too. I worry about Lin, Korra, and Tonraq, Senna, Asami, and a lot of other people that I try my best to protect."

"That's another illusion that clouds your mind," she said, "You believe that you are somehow inherently responsible for protecting everyone you love and care about, but you don't understand the truth."

"…And what is that?"

"You can't always protect the one's you love," she said as he opened his eyes to see her. There was a silence that was unsettling to Mako.

"Why couldn't I?"

"Because this is a world and a life with many turns, just like that of a never-ending river, and though you may try to defy its flow, it will always take you in eventuality," she said, nearing where he sat, "There are so many beautiful things in this life to fight for Mako, and look how many you have found; you have a new family, loyal companions and friends, and a beloved woman who wants to be with you, but these people can't be with us forever. If we are to live this life the way we are meant to, then we must let go of these things and trust that they will continue to float with us as we are carried down the river instead of hanging onto them, when life might be directing them away from us."

Mako sighed and returned to his meditative position, closing his eyes.

"You must trust that you were meant to have these people in your life and allow yourself to trust in the river, the natural course…"

"You must learn to let go, Mako."

As she concluded speaking, the group witnessed the scowl of his forehead, be suddenly released, and his face turn to a more natural color.

"Wow," Ghazan uttered under his breath. P'li looked back in agreement. The light of the sun in the spirit world shined upon him, warming him as his hands went from formed, to limp. He opened his eyes to witness the group staring to him.

"Is everything okay?" inquired Mako,

"You just… look different," stated Ming-Hua. P'li raised her hand to brush some of the distended hair from his face to find a glowing, golden light placed upon his forehead, and as she did so the others peered in awe.

"Look at that energy!" said Ming-Hua aloud. P'li excused herself to return to the meadows from which they had come originally. As she came back, she brought a few men and women with her, speaking softly to them as she swept his hair to the side once more to reveal the gleaming spot on Mako's forehead.

"I've never seen one quite like that," remarked one of them aloud.

"What's happening?" inquired Mako.

"There is a great whirlpool of energy that has opened itself upon your third eye, and it's such a sight to see. Its glowing very bright!" stated P'li with excitement, "You may have the chance to acquire some of the abilities that I have."

"As in like…. Blowing stuff up with my mind?" asked Mako recoiling a bit. The others laughed at the remark.

"Well, that sort of oversimplifies it, but yes, in a way you do blow stuff up with your mind. However, it is an extremely rare ability, and can be very dangerous. I'd love to help you explore it more though."

"What are we to do about the final energy pool?"

"Why don't we wait for Zaheer to return before we move on to that. He knows far more about that one than I do, and it is the opening of such a pool of energy that allowed him the capacity for flight. I want to see where this goes with you, the art of combustion can be cryptic, but you have the height and the stature for it, and I think you would enjoy some of the other elements that come with it."

Mako smiled, and as he did so, he stood and bowed low, "Thank you, P'li."

"There's the grove just up that hill there, at the top you should see some groups of people gathered around some red and orange trees. I would imagine if you asked around you would be able to find you way to the person you are looking for!"

"Thank you for your guidance Sokka, I cannot tell you how much your help has benefitted me."

"Ahh it's no big deal," he said, "Just promise me you'll stay safe okay?" Eska nodded and smiled. She turned to trek up the path on the hill.

"Oh… Eska?" she turned back around.

"Could you tell my little sister I love her?" Eska turned to face him,

"I will!" she shouted as his image dissipated. She made her way soberly up the hill with her hands folded within the sleeves of her robe, and as she made her way to the top, she witnessed a few groups of elders and philosophers who gathered beneath trees. She wandered, noticing pointed fingers and occasional whispers. She paused her gait for a moment as a man approached her.

"Excuse me, I don't believe you know me, but would your name be Eska by chance?" Eska was taken aback by being recognized in such a strange place. This was a very old man in long, dark red robes speaking to her in a very hushed tone of voice.

"My name is Xai Bau, I am the founder of this organization. Have you brought Unalaq with you?" inquired the man before her.

"Wait, What? My father is-"

"Eska?"

"…no," She turned to see Desna, reduced to the image of a child, holding the hand of a slightly ethereal apparition of their father.

"I am afraid I am not accompanying my father, but it appears my brother may be a different case." She walked over, taking her brothers hand, leading him off to the side and discussing with him privately.

"What are you doing brother?... and why are you a child?!" The child looked at the ground,

"I got caught up and sulked momentarily after we got separated is all, and I looked at an old picture of us with dad and I became sentimental and… then dad appeared," he said in the voice of her childhood memories.

"What picture?" she inquired as she squinted. He dug through his bag to pick out a picture from an envelope which had many other pictures as well.

She looked at the picture, "Who took this?"

"Mom did, just before the split." She pressed the photograph to her chest and looked off to the side.

"C'mon, we have to find Mako."

"Eska…"

"What, Desna?" she asked turning to him in her deadpan voice, but demandingly. The child looked up to her to address her,

"I love you," he said to her. She tilted her head with an "Are you serious," look and turned back toward the remainder of the grove.

Unalaq said nothing, he simply stood, eyes off to the distance. His hands folded themselves behind his back and he removed himself from Eska's path as she walked furiously through the groups.

She stopped beneath a tree and breathed very deeply before sitting up against it. She removed the picture from her pocket and looked at it. The two of them hid beneath the lengthy tail of their father's coat giggling, as their father smiled, looking down on them. The image came to life in her hands, and she witnessed the scene. The children dodging the grasp of their father and clinging to his legs, and their mother laughing at the ordeal taking place brought a smile to her face and caused her eyes to glisten a bit.

She pressed the picture once again to her breast and crossed her arms above her knees and laid her head down on top of them. She felt a hand on her shoulder gently present.

"Go away," she said. The meadows grew darker, and grey. The hand remained present.

"What do you want from me?" She asked raising her head to witness Mako smiling down on her. She embraced him the moment she realized it was him, sniffling.

"Hey," he held her so that he could look at her, "What's the matter?"

"It's Desna and…," she groaned.

"And?" he inquired.

"He's here with my father," she said softly.

"Wait, your fath-.. what?"

"It's a long-what is that on your head?"

"Oh, this? It came from the session I had with P'li, we are taking a break for now until Zaheer returns to take me through the final spiritual group, but she said that she would like to pass on to me a few things regarding the matter of the ajna chakra to me that may allow me to pick up concussion bending."

"That is certainly a talent of substance," she said to him.

"How did you find your way here?"

"I met a man by the name of Sokka, who offered to help me on my journey."

"Wait, the councilman of Republic City? That Sokka?"

"I believe so, he was funny."

"I believe you. I met him once when he walked by us on the streets, he took us to a dinner and gave us money for some new clothes."

"We will have to tell Katara we saw him," she told him, leaning into him.

"And Kya with her siblings for sure."

"Are you ready?" Inquired Ming-Hua, now noting Eska's presence.

"What is your business with my husb- boyfriend?" she inquired, moving before him.

"Oh, so SHE'S the one!" she said, Mako placing a finger over his lips, removing it as Eska turned to him.

"We've had some conversations back and forth and I told them about some of our involvement, is this okay?" He inquired. She sighed in return, and returned her gaze to the armless woman in a flowing robe,

"I suppose so." She said reluctantly.

"I am ready when you all are," he said proudly.

"Good, we are headed back to the courtyard," said Ming-Hua as Mako followed her. He turned for a moment to see Eska.

"Are you wanting to join us?" he asked.

"If such is permissible then I suppose I would be happy to spectate."

"Come with us," he said to her.

They moved their way back to the court where in the center were placed several wooden pillars with golden pots at the top of each of them.

"Stand over the center of the lotus flower," commanded Ming-Hua as Ghazan and P'li returned from their leave, noting Eska's presence. Mako ditched his bag and the outer layer of his clothing, "Now take up a fighting stance, whatever your choice," she prompted. Mako took up a boxing stance preparing himself carefully with deep breathing.

"The greatest point of combustion is focus, and concentration. If the act itself is not focused, then it will quickly become sporadic and uncontrolled… Destroying you and everyone around you," she said. Chills went up Mako's spine as he began to grow increasingly nervous.

He assumed his position and she corrected his stance to be more balanced and flowful.

"Shut your eyes for a moment, and clear your mind," she said softly as she stood next to him and continued to adjust his stance, "In a moment, I will snap my fingers, and when I do, you will open your eyes and turn your focus directly at the pot in front of you. It is sitting on a column at your head's level." Mako calmed himself and settled into his stance. There was silence in the courtyard with the exception of a light wind and the scraping of leaves across the pavement. The click of her fingers travelled across the courtyard, reverberating off of the border walls.

P'li snapped and Mako's eyes shot open, his vision zoomed to the texture of the golden pot. P'li had him repeat the drill time and again, until it became something along the lines of second nature, which came around the two-hundredth repetition, alternating between pots, moving from one end of the row to the other.

She approached him from the distance, "Now, you are going to drop your fighting stance into a deep, aggressive stance," she instructed. He lightly nodded, gradually expressing his body forward, reminiscent of the forms of the dancing dragon, but she directed his form to be upright and forward-focused.

"Now I want you to focus on your third eye, the node on your head," she raised. She broke her stance to braid his hair for a moment, using the fire nation's ornament to tighten and consolidate the braid. His hair was long by now, nearly down to the middle of his back, something Eska appreciated about him.

"Combustionbenders often find their hair to be very distracting, diverting energy and tension away from their third eye, making it difficult for them to concentrate," she explained, continuing to braid his hair back and down the center of the crest of his head, "It isn't uncommon for them to get rid of it altogether," she finished.

He returned to the stance and continued to breathe, and as he did so, he felt the heat of the sun, and witnessed a vision again.

The masters planted themselves before him, snarling and roaring. Suddenly they rose and inhaled deeply, lunging toward him at terrifying speeds. Mako gasped through his nose, and suddenly he flew. There was a ringing in his ears for a moment that resolved shortly after, and he picked up his head from the floor, looking around to see a crowd of people had collected to witness the commotion.

"Mako!" shouted P'li as she ran over.

"Wha-… What happened!?" he asked, still very much dazed.

"That was it! How did you get that so quickly?" she asked.

"I saw a vision; I saw them again."

"The dragons?" Ming-Hua asked. He looked over to her with a raised eyebrow.

"What-What do you know?"

"They came to us in the spirit world a little over a year ago, and told us you would be here," P'li responded.

"What… wha-" he said as he turned back to where he stood beforehand gawking at the damage.

"What did I do?" he asked.

"I don't know entirely, not many combustion benders can do that before they have their node pressed to them." Mako's vision came out of the blur for a moment to realize that all the pots and pillars had been scattered across the courtyard. Ghazan stood at the end of the yard, hanging against a wall with his arms crossed before he gave a thumbs up and grinned for a moment.

Some of the others from the grove had travelled over to discover the commotion.

"I'm sorry, I was told I needed to be quiet here," Mako said to her, raising himself and dusting himself off.

"Don't apologize, if these things are as I think they are, then such was facilitated by the spirits of dragons, which is an honor itself," she assured him. He was covered quite a few bruises from his tumble backwards because of the recoil, but ultimately was alright.

Eska came over, "Would it be alright if I had a private moment with him for a second?" Eska inquired. P'li nodded stepping away for a little while.

"Whats up?" he asked as she immediately reached her hands up the back of his shirt, attempting to ensure that the stitches were still intact.

"The stitches are intact, and the skin is fusing quite well actually," Eska stated.

"Are you two…?" stated Ming-Hua with a flustered appearance. Mako and Eska looked at one another, Eska drawing her hands out of his clothing, blushing and turning away for a moment.

"I was cut up pretty badly by some insurgents the other day, she's checking to make sure I didn't tear any of my sutures open again."

"That makes a bit more sense, the spirit world is a strange time and place to be copping a feel."

"Uhh..-" Mako and Eska both turned a bit red this time, looking back and forth at one another as Ghazan finished his walk from the other side of the court.

"That's quite a lot of damage, well done," he said, reaching out to shake Mako's hand, meeting him at the forearm.

"I'm still not even sure what happened."

"I don't think anyone is at first, we may see to getting a node pressed to your forehead today," said P'li.

"That sounds excellent," said Mako to the others, "Thank you P'li, your teachings are something I will be keeping for a very long time." Mako bowed as he spoke.

Eska seated herself back at the grove, beneath another tree where they had all sat not too long before. Desna approached, now being present in his current-aged form, "May I sit next to you sister?" he asked softly. She rolled her eyes, "Always, brother." He sits down beside her.

"I won't pretend that he isn't the same man that he was when he was alive," he said, "Or when he left me to die."

"You know I haven't any desire to talk about this," she said, "You know how I feel about him."

"I do, and I won't keep you with it for too long," he said to her.

"What do you want, brother?" she asked. Her head fell over her knees, and her voice lowered "Why is he here?"

"Eska," he said, she raised her head, looking off in the distance, "I think he's here for us," he said.

"Why? What purpose does it serve him?!" her voice grew increasingly demanding as the winds blew leaves around the two, "He's a deplorable man and…" she broke off for a moment.

"…And what sister?"

"And I hate him…" she began, her voice low and tense, "I hate him for leaving you to die! I hate him for the mess that he left behind! I hate him for disgracing our names! I hate him for trying to kill Korra…" she stood, tears running down her face and her voice raising.

"I hate that he loved Korra more than he loved either of us!" The winds became fierce and many of the prophets moved out of the way. Her voice was furious.

"Eska…" Desna pleaded.

"I hate that he sent my mother away! I hate the fact that I'm his daughter and…" The winds sustained their fierceness as she sobbed, tears running from her eyes, mouth and nose, makeup smeared. The sky darkened and thundered; a storm brewed.

"… Was I too hard for him to love?" she asked, "Was I ever enough for him?!" she asked desperately, her body morphing to the image of a furious, weeping child.

"Was I ever the little girl he wanted?!" she raised. Suddenly the winds of the storm became especially violent, tearing branches from the trees.

The skies over the courtyard turned a dark grey, and the group turned to witness a supercell form over the grove.

"What is that?!" Ming-Hua raised.

"I-I don't know, it must be a spiritual disturbance of some kind!" P'li shouted as the winds picked up.

Desna held fast to the tree desperately, the funnel extending downward from the black of the skies above them. He winced, frantically grabbing, and clinging to the branch, his form began to revert, shrinking in stature. He began to cry.

"Eska," he cried. He felt a hand grab his parka, dragging him over behind the tree. He looked up to the source.

"Stay here, hold on!" Unalaq said, tears streaming from one of his eyes as he slowly trekked his way to the epicenter wielding a branch of one of the trees, sticking it in the ground as he made his way. He slipped and was blown back by the storm, crashing with his gut into the stump of the tree, feeling the wind go out of him. He stood up again, making his way, his airway whimpering from the impact. The winds became fiercer the closer he got, and he reached the circumference of the funnel, digging in, and passing through and he dove down, taking the weeping girl into his arms as his own eyes flowed.

"… I'm sorry," he said under his voice, beneath the coursing winds.

"I should have been more… more for you…" his voice quaked, breaking, "… I failed…" The funnel receded from the ground, retreating to the supercell in the clouds, and it began to rain upon the grove. Many of the philosophers, soldiers, and spies had desperately held onto branches and trees, trying to save themselves from the storm when they felt the waters fall on them, and the winds recede

Mako and the entourage gradually had made their way from the courtyard over back to the grove where they were, buffeted by leaves and branches. Mako was hit in the chest by one that threw him on his back. Ghazan ran to help him up, holding onto Ming-Hua with his other arm.

"I failed you… I failed your brother," he said, "and I failed your mother… spirits… I'm so sorry," he said. The winds receded, and he loosened his grip, witnessing the sniffling little girl in his arms, covered in her tears. He removed a handkerchief, wiping away at her tears and her face. She looked up to him with glistening eyes. He took a deep breath.

"I love you," he said, "I always did." She sniffled as she held him again.

"Then why…" she spoke, cut off by her own sobbing.

"Foolish men are distracted by little things from that which truly matters," he began, "And your father… he was always a fool," he said as she cried into his coat. The winds finally died, and Desna let up on the branch he gripped tightly on to. He peaked around the tree to where Unalaq held his daughter, trembling and in pieces. He looked over to where Desna peaked his little head out. He motioned, beckoning Desna over. Desna ran out from behind the tree meeting the embrace of his father.

Mako and the others show up, witnessing the scene with awe. Mako spotted Unalaq with his twin children in his arms, breathing a sigh of relief as the rains continued to fall, soaking everyone in the area.

A piece of paper drops from Eska's hands, once gripped tightly, now let loose by her exhausted hands. Unalaq picked up that which she dropped and smiled through his sorrow for a moment, placing the photo in the pocket of her coat, kissing both of his children atop their little heads.

Mako smiled at the sight, through the rain, and everyone made space as the wind blew and the three stood together on their feet.

Mako meditated in the grove during the sunlight, feeling the warmth of the spirit world sun, hearing the crunch of leaves before him. He took a deep breath.

"Your spiritual progress has been remarkable, Mako. If this keeps up on your part, I wonder if you wouldn't make an addition to our ranks," he said. Mako opened his mouth to protest but stopped himself.

"I sense opposition, what's on your mind?" asked Zaheer. Mako thought heavily for the moment.

"I don't know exactly what to think of the Red Lotus," he began, standing before Zaheer, "Before today, all I knew about you was that you tried to kill me, my friends, my family, and tried to put entire countries into chaos, but now everything seems so different. I don't know whether to believe the stories of these people. I don't really know who's right or wrong here," he said. Zaheer crossed his arms and spoke.

"What makes you think anyone here is one or the other?" he asked. Mako was silent in response.

"One of the greatest illusions that plagues the world today is that of moral ambiguity," he said, "No one is content to believe that good things can be done in the name of a bad cause, and bad things can be done in the name of a good cause. Many of us specialize in doing whatever it takes, good or bad, for the cause of true freedom of the people around us," he said. Mako was silent, nodding.

"The idea of anyone being good or bad is flawed, because all human beings are capable of as much bad as they are good. We don't claim to be either of these things, we just know that we have one thing in common, we hate power, we hate money, we hate oppression, we hate slavery, we hate imperialism and colonialism, and we are willing to do both good things and bad things to free people from its clutches. Some of us bend and break the rules, and some of us work with them." Mako gave a single nod from respect.

"I see," he said.

"You have an interest in philosophy and understanding," Zaheer said.

"I like to know what I believe in, so nobody else can tell me what it is," Mako responded.

"Good," Zaheer said, with a brief smile and a nod, "Come with me; we are about to begin your enlightenment," he said. Mako looked as he walked on and followed soon after. They approached the highest point in the grove.

The three sat together, in silence, simply in acknowledgement of each other's presence. Eska sat against a tree while her brother laid out flat in the grove. Unalaq sat quietly among them.

"What is running the tribe like now?"

"Busy," Desna said.

"Boring," Eska said. Unalaq smirked.

"I would have figured, it was never an enjoyable occupation," he said, "but it was never meant for me anyway," he added.

"How did you maintain balance between your duties and your spiritual life?" Desna asked.

"I never really did. I delegated most of my duties while regularly delving into the spiritual. I thought of it as necessary for the sake of something bigger," he said.

"You mean you simply gave away your duties for others to do for you?" Eska inquired.

"You mean neither of you ever have?" he asked.

"We have always believed it to be solely our responsibility to fill our appointed duties," Desna said.

"Pulling your own weight is a wise perspective, unless you are in leadership," Unalaq answered, "Is it your responsibility to fulfill certain duties? Or to see that certain duties are fulfilled?" he asked. The two twins sat in silence, pondering the statement.

"What is the difference?" Desna inquired.

"The difference is the means. You only have two hands in this life, and they can only do so much when you try to work alone," he said softly.

Zaheer brings him to the top of the grove and removes a pendant from around his neck, "Read, Mako," he said, handing him the necklace. Mako took the necklace, holding it in his hands as the two sat, facing one another on top of a windy hill in the grove.

"Let go your earthly tether," he began, "Enter the void, Empty, and become wind." Mako looked back at Zaheer, handing his amulet back.

"Keep it, wear it, and remember it. I no longer need it because I understand it," he said. Mako placed the pendant within his bag.

"The final path to freedom, Mako, is freedom from earthly attachment, and it is anything but easy to obtain," Zaheer said.

"What does it mean to empty, and become wind?" Mako asked.

"This path has two parts, the first is freedom from everything outside of you, and the second is freedom from oneself," he said. Mako wore a confused look.

"I don't-…" Mako sat back for a moment.

"To let go your earthly tether and enter the void is to release all that you care about within the world. To empty, and become wind is to separate your spirit from your humanity, that is your thoughts, your feelings, and beliefs."

"This all sounds like avatar stuff," he said.

"The mastery of the avatar state entails that one be detached from the earth to gain access to the energy of the cosmos," he said in response nodding at the remark, "Let us begin." Mako nodded, taking a deep, albeit nervous breath.

"Think about all that you have ever cared about, everything that brings you joy in this world… everything that attaches you to the world or your life, causing you to hold on," Zaheer said. Mako allowed many thoughts to pass through his mind, causing the glow upon his forehead to flourish slightly. He thought of Eska, Tonraq and Senna, His parents, Korra, his adventures with the avatar, probending, Republic City, he thought about his brother, and Ursa, and Zuko, and all the people he loved.

"It is time that you learn to let go of these things," Zaheer said.

"Why would I want to be rid of them?" Mako asked.

"You are confused, Mako. To let go, is to separate yourself from them, establishing the independence and freedom of yourself. When your happiness is tethered to rely upon these things, when these things disappear, we are broken. When we release our tether," he said, Mako's third eye flourishing again, "we remember the happiness that we have within, instead of mourning that which has left us."

"Like the river carrying something away," Mako said softly. Zaheer nodded as Mako placed himself in a deeply calm state. He breathed deeply and as he did, witnessed a path before him, glowing far above the earth. A bridge into the cosmos stretched out into the infinity of the void of space. He walked along it, witnessing voices, and visions on either side of him. Visions of loss of all that he had ever loved. He stopped on the path, breathing deeply, emotionally moved. Zaheer noticed this.

"You cannot control what happens to you in this life, and though you believe you can protect all of the things that you love, and all of the people around you, and even if you can, you must deliver yourself from the idea that you will always be able to protect them. There will come a day when the universe delivers something far beyond your power to control or deter, and there will be nothing you can do about it," stated Zaheer. Mako stood on the path and continued walking, witnessing the closest of those to his heart being lost. He heard Asami's voice plead for help, and he paused.

"Letting go does not mean that you do not love these people, it means that you are willing to accept the loss of when they go away from you as a possibility." Mako stood from his knees on the glowing path, edging along, facing the losses of those around him.

"How could I let go of all that I love?"

"Because you trust that these things and people are fated to be with you, and when they are not, that they will go away in time," Zaheer responded, his voice unwavering in emotion. Mako's eye flourished as he continued to walk along the path, passing by more losses on either side, causing him to stumble briefly.

"I don't-"

"Keep going… you will make it," Zaheer assured. Mako braced himself, witnessing further loss, trembling in his walk of the path, and stopping at one before him.

"Eska…" he whispered.

"Who is that?" Zaheer asked.

"… she's the woman I love, the daughter of Unalaq." Zaheer nodded.

"Love is a good thing, and when we gain something we love it is good; when we lose it, such is also good, even though we may not know why or where that which we love goes, it is still good." Mako furthered his walk along the path.

With his assurance, he breathed deeply in.

"Let go your earthly tether…" Mako recited his expression becoming calm.

"Now witness your emotions, thoughts, and beliefs; observe your humanity laid out before you," he said. Mako walked into the infinity across the glowing bridge. As he observed these things, he became dramatically aware that he himself was separated, and with this, his body from the plane of spirit vanished into thin air!

Zaheer gasped, opening his eyes to see him gone.

"Zaheer!" P'li shouted witnessing the scene, running up the hill, "What happened?!"

"I…" he began… "I don't know," he said.

"Zaheer," he muttered, but only silence emerged. He opened his eyes, he floated above the platform atop the staircase of the ruins of the sun warriors before the masters again. But this time, he was no longer afraid…

"… Hey," he said, looking at the two of the dragons, who propped themselves up to address him. They moved out of the way that Mako could observe the horizon.

"Behold," a guttural voice sounded, "The sun," it said.

"Long before the beginning of the world, it had shone its light, and it will continue to warm even after the earth and all of its life are gone," Master Ran uttered.

"Behold the original bender of fire," Master Shaw groaned.

"Just like the moon," Mako said.

"Far more ancient," Master Ran corrected as the two flew in circular tandem around him. He felt himself fall asleep on the platform… before falling through himself…

He groaned, but no sound was emitted, and he was surrounded by nothing but void.

"You," uttered a voice. It wasn't by sound that it spoke, but by as if emotion that it communicated. Mako could not use words or thoughts, he was emptied and floating.

"Do not try to communicate, you aren't capable in this plane," the consciousness beamed, "Simply… listen… " He felt it, addressing him by his name, as if the whole meaning of each sentence was communicated, instantaneously groaned from the center of his being, as opposed to the words themselves.

"I have heard your name, reverberating, time and again beneath my skies… beneath my warmth," it uttered in spirit, "I have felt your struggle, and your slow, wildfire, burn."

"I have seen your burn among others, and the way your flames have further encompassed them in embers…"

"With time, I have tempered your flames, taking you beneath my glorious wing," it said to him, floating among the vacuum of spirit, "and all this time you have been in the dark to me…"

"I am fascinated by your journey, by your fate, and I'm deeply curious to witness what you will soon become.

"For all of my life, for all of my existence in the great firmament beyond the earth, I have shed my warmth, on others, to sustain the force of each one of their minute, short lives, and this… I will teach you, in this… I will instruct you…" the metaphysical voice groaned.

"Or rather, allow me to show you," it moaned.

With great suddenness, Mako's senses and cognition were overflowing with experiences and understanding. He saw fire and its origins, its purpose. He witnessed the dawn of the age of the sun, and the ages of suns and stars long before, and of heat and warmth, witnessing humanity's birth and life, and its eventual death, and that of all the plants and animals, all lived beneath the watchful shepherding of the sun. He broke out, feeling the essence of his soul startled.

"Pardon me, I'll bet that was a rough ride," it beamed. Mako would tremble or vomit from shock, but he had no body to do such things.

"I will continue to watch you until the day you die… and will watch until long after. Believe me… this work is boring," It chanted.

"now whatever you do… don't move," it beamed.

Mako felt, thought, experienced… and remembered nothing, and then suddenly… he gasped! Opening his eyes.

"Ughgh?!" he choked out, looking around the grove, he was trembling, and he turned over to vomit.

"Hey! I found him!" Ming-Hua shouted, bringing over the others. His vision was hazy, and his head hurt, almost as if it had been stuffed with knowledge by an ancient spirit.

"Mako!" P'li said on approach. He turned over to look at her and the others before taking a few deep breaths and sitting up. Everyone recoiled at the sight of him.

"What happened?" P'li asked.

"I… I don't know; I don't…" He keeled over and groaned a moment, His third eye glowing brightly.

"We've got to get him pressed. Ghazan, ready the brand!" she shouted.

"Wh-…, brand?! What-?!"

"Shh, don't worry about it, it only looks painful, for a second, because it actually is, but not really," she said, trying to assure him as best as she could without lying to him, "The sigil will be imprinted on your face with a dab ink from a branding iron and the energy that emerges from the node." Mako's eyes went wide.

"I'm sorry?!" he shouted desperately.

"It's either this or your head explodes from the energy buildup," P'li shrugged. Mako turned over to vomit again much to the disgust of everyone present. Ghazan returned with two spirits following in tow, carrying a glowing iron by a chain.

"Wha…?" he began.

"What do you mean what?" P'li inquired.

"Will it… *Hic* will it look like yours?" he asked.

"It all depends on your energy, it is personally unique in every case," she said. The spirits arrived with the iron that P'li wielded, and Ghazan with them.

"Ghazan," P'li directed. Ghazan nodded, before grappling Mako and pulling back his arms and legs.

"Just hold still, I'm doing this for your safety!" Ghazan shouted while laughing as Mako struggled.

"And my entertainment," Ming-Hua snickered.

"Okay, okay, okay, hold on just a second," Mako said, P'li reared the glowing iron and Mako nearly fainted at the sight, his head rolling back and body going limp for a second.

"Don't pass out on me now, the fun hasn't started yet," Ghazan grinned.

"We need you to be conscious for your energy to break through correctly," P'li said.

"Hold him still, it'll just be the very tip of the iron. It's about the tip of a needle," she said as Ghazan held back his hair.

"You're going to want to relax your forehead," P'li shouted. Mako shut his eyes for a moment, accepting his fate and breathing in deep. He smelled the burn before he felt the sting.

An explosion echoed in the distance bringing the three of them on their feet, viewing a brief beam of light in the distance.

"Spirits, what was that!?" Unalaq raised. He ran back and the twins followed him in their fully aged forms. They ran across the courtyard and up to the high point of the grove where Mako stood. The ground around the explosion wasn't fazed much, and Ghazan stood there patting Mako on the back as he held on to his throbbing forehead.

"Oh my head!… that felt awful!" Mako groaned.

"Oh gee, have you ever been zapped by lightning?" Ming-Hua asked. Ghazan winced.

"Does this… mean we're even?" he asked, blinking, and trying to find his vision again.

Ming-Hua shrugged, "Eh, I'll take it. At least I'm not in prison anymore," she said.

"Mako!" Eska shouted, running up to him, "What happened?" she asked. He removed his hand from his forehead and Eska recoiled.

"A handsome look on you," P'li remarked.

"What? What is it?" he asked.

"There is-… a sigil on your forehead," Eska remarked.

"What-What does it look like?" He asked.

"It's like hers," Desna remarked, "But it's kind of a pitchfork figure."

"Like the fire nation insignia," Eska raised as everyone observed and nodded in agreement.

"Is my hair okay?" he asked.

"Your hair looks relatively unf-are those… my clothes?" Unalaq said. He looked over at Eska who shrugged.

"We had some left over and they fit him," Eska remarked.

"Also a handsome look if you ask me," P'li remarked with a grin and a hand on her hip.

"Where is Zaheer?" Mako asked.

"He had to return to the physical world for the time being. He has to rest in his body," P'li responded.

Mako rubbed his eyes and opened them again, seeing everyone around him, observing them through new eyes. Eska embraced him in the moment, to Unalaq's surprise. Mako returned the embrace, his hair still braided back down the center the way that P'li had done for him.

The philosopher Xai Bau himself set a box immediately before Desna as Eska and Mako stood behind him

"What are all of these texts?" he asked.

"Your father informed me that philosophy and spiritual texts had always fascinated you, so I delved into many of the works of my own personal library to see what I could find for you," the man said, "I always have enjoyed the idea of inspiring a new generation of advocates, and I'm hoping one day I could persuade you three to become members of our ranks eventually, as many of us have passed on, but I am a patient man," he said.

"These are all very old," Desna said, peaking into the dates.

"They are well-preserved and should be kept in a dry place; do take care of them as many are first-edition manuscripts, some hundreds of years old if I recall correctly," he said. His eyes went wide as he closed the scroll that he held in his hands and bowed low before him.

Zaheer approached Mako as he stood with Eska, Zaheer smiled and nodded.

"My informants have supplied me knowledge that grave trouble is stirring within the water tribe, and troubling events are about to occur, many of which have a spiritual element to them. I advise you to tread carefully as you return," Zaheer said, "You should also know that my offer remains open to join our ranks."

Mako looked over to where Eska spoke with Desna regarding the documents, "That's something I could take into consideration," he said. The two smirked and gave a single nod to one another as they turned away.

Desna stood atop one of the tallest hills in the grove, overlooking the meadows in the distance, where the spirit world shifted, aurora's dancing overhead in the now night sky and the brightness of the moon. Autumn leaves blew by in the cool breeze. Mako climbed the hill silently, now bearing traditional robes of the Red Lotus, and as he reached the top, his presence made known by the crunching of leaves underfoot, he stood by Desna.

"Is something troubling you?" he asked.

"Nothing in particular… I didn't expect to be seeing my father here, and I suppose everything going on has been… also less than anticipated," Desna said.

"You've had a lot to deal with recently; from what I've seen, you've handled it really well," Mako uttered to him.

"It's always been my job to try and keep a level head," Desna raised.

"I know what you mean," Mako responded. He looked up to the moon, "How are you holding up?"

"I'll be alright for now, everything is just a bit surreal…" there rose silence between them, "I've been most afraid for Eska, she was far more affected by the split than I was, and she still had hope in our father," he said, his head lowering from the gaze of the moon.

"What do you mean?" Mako asked.

"You're very good to her, you've always been good to her," Mako said.

"When our mother was sent away… she fell into a deep depression, and she wouldn't leave the house. I tried my best to be there for her as a brother. I helped her out of bed in the mornings, and stayed with her all day, and that's how we've gotten by, looking after each other," he said, "I would give anything for my sister," he said. Mako nodded.

"You're a good brother." Mako said. Desna took a deep breath, "And you know I would give everything for her too, don't you?" he said softly.

"I've seen it," Desna said, "You've come pretty close to giving it all; having seen how much you've offered up, I better about her being safe." His gaze arose to the moon once again.

"What are your thoughts on joining their ranks?" Mako asked.

"I am skeptical," Desna responded, "but also curious. They always seemed to be terrorists from a distance… But their philosophies are sound from what I have observed."

"It all sounds very spiritual," Mako said, "I wonder what initiation consists of."

"You want to join their ranks I suspect," Desna prompted..

"Maybe, you?"

"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested…" There was a pause

"… Do you think we'll get a cool pair of robes out of it?"

Mako prepares his pack, and as the twins do the same, Unalaq adds a number of scrolls to their collection, "These are some journals of past chiefs. They contain great insight, aiding me as a young man," he said placing his hand on the two's shoulders, "I hope that they will do the same for you as well," he said, stepping back that P'li may address Eska.

"Please, if you would also take these," P'li presented.

"What would these be?" Eska inquired. P'li opened one of the scrolls, having placed the others in the box.

"These are ancient forms, and they will aid Mako in his journey to becoming a combustionbender. He will be the last one on earth until he teaches the next generation, and I believe that he will prove to be a glorious firebender one day," she said. Eska received the scrolls gracefully.

"Thank you," she began softly, "I will hold him to adopt the practice of these on a regular basis," Eska stated. P'li smiled at her sweetly.

"I wish you two a very happy life together," she said softly, as she turned away. Mako looked to Eska who watched her walk away with a gentle smile.

As they are preparing, Mako has packed their belongings on his backpack, acting as the pack mule for the group, having put on some muscle since his time in the water tribe. Desna and Eska are in conversation with one another, and the others are soon to see them off. Unalaq approaches Mako, as his pack lay beside him.

"You must be the young man my daughter has been courting," he said softly. Mako nodded silently.

"My spies in the tribe have watched you, they told me about you when you arrived to look after her," he said as he looked over to his children, "I've not been in a position to ever ask much for all the things I've done, but do look after her for me… please," he said, and at this, Mako also nodded. He paused for a moment, pulling from his pack the necklace that he had assisted the artist in crafting. Unalaq ran his fingers over the resined surface. There was a three-dimensional quality to it. He smiled.

"This is gorgeous craftsmanship. I think she'll love it." He said, handing the necklace back. Mako stored it back in the pocket of his pack.

"The insurgency has put a lot of pressure on her recently, I hope that things will calm down enough for us to figure something out," Mako said.

"Having seen your work and watched you become what you are now, I don't think laws could stop you," Unalaq said looking back to Mako, "I have heard about the insurgency, however. I fear that Hotah has become gradually unhinged and may do drastic things soon. I fear the worst," he said. Eska approached her father as he and Mako talked, and her father turned to her. She sighed.

"I'm still mad at you," she said looking through him. She embraced him, "but I still love you." Her father returned the embrace and Mako breathed deeply. Desna hugged his father after Eska released and soon, they set off.

"Get home safe, watch out for each other," Unalaq said as the three gathered their belongings. Unalaq watched as they walked through the tall grasses in the distance before disappearing as the wind blew.

The three leave with their belongings and begin back toward the portal, finding themselves at the arena immediately, and without obstacle, but the air felt heavy, and the spirits were all gone… it was too quiet for the spirit world.

At the arena, on the other side of the tree of time, a company of foot soldiers who spot the three of them in the distance engage them, firing several bolts of fire, earth, and water.

"Take cover!" Mako shouted, removing his Red Lotus head scarf.

"Mako!" Eska shouted, seeing him standing before lobs of projectiles.

Mako stood, with a level-headed grin. He shut his eyes and inhaled deeply and suddenly. The shockwave was visible as it rippled the air, shattering and evaporating all the obstacles into dust and vapor. The company disbands, most of them having already passed into the Northern Portal.

"Come on! We've got to go!" he shouted, donning his pack, and running after the company through the Northern portal. They slip through and find themselves in the middle of the tundra, tracks all around the portal…

No catamaran... Mako donned his headscarf again over the top of his head.

Eska slowly lowers her gaze to the ground. Mako attempts to approach her with a hand out, but a hand catches his shoulder, drawing him back.

"You're going to want to giv-" Eska leaps and shatters the tundra before her, and a sound as if a massive explosion was felt as a massive ravine formed in front of her, travelling, and collapsing a massive formation of ice in the distance as clouds of snow are raised into the atmosphere in the form of a mushroom.

In the distance, natives to the region observed the figure, speaking in their home tongues. A woman emerges from her yurt, witnessing the collapse of the structure in the distance.

"Mommy-"

"Hush Temujin, go back inside!" the woman demanded, donning her parka and fur cap.

She has an outburst of frustration in all different directions. Things go silent. Mako looks at Desna who nods.

"Carefully," he advises as Mako approaches her from behind. He places his hand on her back. Desna held his breath.

"I'm sorry… I didn't want for you to see me that way," she said, scarcely raising her voice over the winds.

"We all have our limits," he assured her. She sighed standing back up from her knees.

It was the middle of the night, and they were stranded at the portal.

"There is a village, just down that direction for about seven miles. We should be able to make it before dawn," he assures the group.

"Let us get moving," Eska said in a deadpan tone.

The trek had been uneventful, and exhausting, wading through powder for miles after the ice had gradually turned to freshly gleaming snow. The three remained close together, the waterbenders carving their way through the snow, and the firebender providing heat for the three. They finally reached an inn and stumbled in, eyes half open.

"Welcome to my inn," A woman greeted them, "May I inquire what has you out so late?" she asked. The three are clearly exhausted, sprawled into chairs and couches.

"Oh… just got back from the spirit portal," Mako said.

"But that's at least…" she looked over at the others who had fallen over into chairs and couches, "Oh dear," she said, "I'll fetch you some water, you need fluids!" she said. Mako fought off the urge to rest, as he had trained himself to do before. He looked out the window, standing from the chair, and witnessing a lantern light in the distance aboard a skiff. A figure disembarked from the skiff, approaching the door with an arctic wolf in tow, following her very closely.

After entering the building, the figure of a woman approaches, clad in a full parka and mask, both covered in snow. Eska has fallen asleep on a chair by the fire, and Desna is sprawled out across a couch. Mako is still awake but struggling.

She removes her parka, placing it on a hook in front of the door and takes off the scarf masking her face. Her skin was dark, and her hair long and black like Eska's. Mako perked up, alert when she approached the group, standing to his feet. He almost saluted out of a force of habit but stopped himself from doing so. She turned and looked closely at Mako, removing her cap, and approaching to look at him cautiously. The room was very dim, and the sight of her approaching with her lantern raised was unnerving. She beckoned him closer, the attendant placing a pitcher of water and a few cups upon the table as this occurred. She removed her gloves, her hands were familiar, thin, and delicate.

"What-What? Who are-"

"Shh," she hushed. Waving the lantern before his face," she gasped at the sight, brushing her thumb along the thickened tissue.

"Ow-okay, hold on, it's still sore," he said. Bags ran under his eyes. It had been a long time since he had slept very well, for very long anyway. She ran to her skiff outside, retrieving a few pelts and woven blankets and he sat back down. She then ran to Desna, drawing his head to lay properly, and placing a blanket over him. She carried Eska to the floor before the fire for a moment, before throwing a pelt over the top of her. The wolf laid beside Eska, nuzzling its way against her as Eska threw her arm over the fluff. The woman stood back up, the fire illuminating her face, and she extinguished her lantern.

"…Malina?" Inquired Mako. The other two were asleep, and the woman turned toward him, the dog mooing and raising its head as he stood, being gently scolded by the woman.

She pointed to herself, "… How do you know my name?"

"She told me about you; you look so much like her." Mako whispered.

"Who are you?" she askes

"My name is Mako, I am traveling with the chiefs of the Northern Water Tribe. We got here a few minutes ago after being stranded in the night."

"What were you doing out there? It's freezing!"

"We had to travel to the spirit world to…" as he spoke, she cloaked Eska with another blanket, one that appeared hand-woven.

"We were ambushed by insurgents; they stole our catamaran. I made sure we stayed warm on the way over here."

"How?" She inquired as he lit a gentle, blue flame in his hand; he breathed deeply and a rush of warmth filled the room, causing heads to turn. The wolfdog mooed again, laying across the floor. She stared to him in awe.

"I thought you lived in a different village," he said to her.

"I do; I was called here."

"By whom?"

She cloaked Desna in yet another blanket, and looked up to him, "by the spirits of the sun… and the moon herself."

Mako tilted his head and squinted a bit.

"So… you've been expecting us?"

"Only since the other night. I was meditating when she appeared to me." Mako approached her.

"It's… It's good to meet you, Malina." As he said this she turned to see him, taking his hand.

"She told me about you too," she said as she smiled to him, raising her hands to the sides of his face.

"Really?… umm, good things I hope?" He said, unsure.

"She said that man with a third eye would come, bringing my two children to an inn at this village. I've been sailing here for a few hours, sit please!" she implored. Her dog pawed at her for attention, nuzzling against her knee as she sat. She scratched around his ears and it hopped up, placing its snout in her lap.

"This is White Hawk, he's a bit wary of strangers, but he's friendly."

"How did you get here?" He asked her.

"I took a skiff; it's parked outside for now," she said to him.

"You should sleep, you have had a long journey," she said placing a pillow beneath Eska's head, "… and you look like you really need it."

"I have a room this way, would you help me carry one of them?" She asked. Mako nodded, and carried Eska back to the room, and they laid them both down in the bed together. Mako raised the blanket over them. She turned to look at Mako in the light of the hanging lantern.

"Come here," she beckoned. She was short, being at least a foot and a half shorter than he.

"I'm sorry, my eyes do not work well in such darkness, but I want to see your face," she said, placing her hands at the sides of his jaw. She smiled, "You are a handsome young man, very strong," she said, "Come," she said very softly, so to not wake the others.

His eyes are heavy, and she invites him over to a hammock in the corner of the room, where he finds the balance and makes his way on, which turned out to be easier than he thought.

She placed an intricate talisman over his head. He is instantly lulled to sleep, and as he nods Malina speaks, kissing him just at the top of his head sweetly. He was shocked but also too tired to do anything about it.

"Thank you for looking after my darlings."

His dreams are vivid and wild, and he twitches in his rest, rocking the hammock slightly. Images flash of the masters and the grove. His vision flashes as he is beneath the ice seeing Eska be dragged away. The man bends to look beneath the ice…

Mako awakes and is aware, sweating, and breathing intensely. The light of the day has begun to shine through, and he looks around to find no one in the room. His hood and mask had been unzipped and removed.

He walks into the lobby of the inn immediately searching around for the three, scanning the whole scene and running to the front to ask the innkeeper as to the whereabouts of the three, and as he does, Malina walks in through the front door again, White Hawk in tow, greeting Mako.

"Where'd they go? It's mid-morning!"

Malina approaches him and placed her hands on his shoulders, "Breathe, Hongor," she said.

"Wh-What?" he asked.

"Mako?" Prompts Eska, "Are you okay? You look awful."

"Where'd you guys go?"

"To the bathhouse, they have a room for such things here; you… could use one."

"What time is it?"

"It is but ten in the morning," said Desna, "You should take the time to prepare for today, again, perhaps getting a hot bath."

"I've… I haven't had a bath in since my mother was…"

"Perhaps then I will set one up for you. Change into those robes from earlier, and I will see that your clothes will be washed for the time being. I would also like to take this opportunity to check the suturing."

"Are you sure? I..-"

"Yes, now get ready."

Mako prepared himself into his kimono and Hakama from the ritual which he had packed neatly into his travel bag. He folded his other clothing and placed them on his hammock, removing the ribbon from his top knot and allowing his hair to fall past his shoulders. He viewed himself in the mirror before immediately averting his eye(s?)…

He navigated into the lobby, where Eska met him with warm towels. She smiled stiffly as she saw him, turning to lead him to a room where steam poured out of the corridor.

She led him to a bath, in which the water had already been prepared.

"Raise your arms," she said, and he did as she told him. She removed the hakama and kimono robe from him, assessing the suturing to assure it was intact, to be surprised with how well the cuts had healed.

"So…-" he said "I got to speak with your mother last night as we got in."

"She likes you," she remarked, with a pause from Mako.

"What makes you say-… have you told her about us?" He asked

"Only the fundamentals of our relationship, I haven't spoken to her about our prospective engagement."

"… What about your father?" She paused the analysis of the stitches.

"I don't want to talk about him," she returned.

"I… won't make you then."

"All is well with the suturing; I will fetch your towels, for now, remove your hakama and step in." He nodded briefly and as she left, he removed the remainder of his robe, stepping gracefully into the bath. The bath house had entirely wooden flooring that lined the sides of the pools themselves like a deck, and the inside of each pool was ornamented with beautiful, colorful tiling. The water was cool as he stepped in, breathing very deeply until the waters began to simmer and steam around him.

Eska returns with towels now cool and fresh, placing them on a low table along the wall.

His sits on the bench beneath the waters, the edge of the bath up to his chest, and he stretches his arms out across the sides. He turns his head to see her at the corner of his eye, standing quietly in the doorway,

"You're welcome to stay if you want, I could always use someone to talk to." She quaintly seated herself at the end of the table of towels.

"She spent all morning talking about you,"

"She's a wonderful lady, and an absolute miracle to have been here. Were you awake when she and I spoke?"

"I was barely awake enough to remember you speaking to someone, but not enough to wonder who."

"Are you feeling okay about today?"

She briefly clutched something in the pocket of her robe, "I will admit that I am afraid."

"They can't keep you and I from each other,"

"But they can use the fact that we are together to strip me of my position, reputation… and home."

"That won't happen either."

"How do you know such things."

"I'm a cop. I've been around the law long enough to know which rules can be bent. I'm not going to let a set of simple bureaucratic regulations stand in the way of someone so important to me."

"You could be terminated for speaking in such a manner," she remarked matter-of-factly.

"I'm sorry, I try to keep these things to myself." He stood before he dipped himself beneath the waters, stroking his hands through his hair, clearing it of knots and any sweat…

"I love you," he said standing, facing away from her, "I don't think I could do without you." She paused a moment.

"Haven't you said that to someone before?"

"… To whom?"

"Asami… Korra, and anyone else you've ever seen."

"Wha-… what are you trying to say?"

"I'm saying that I'm unsure as to whether or not you can be trusted with this. I've been manipulated before, and I've been abandoned too." There was a long silence, he dipped again, and came up, the water simmered as he inhaled with him in the center of it. Steam rose from the pool. Silence fell again with time.

"How could I?" He asked, unsure if she was still even there, "where could I go? What could I do? I have no real home in this world Eska, I've grown up moving from hole to hole just to survive, staying at someone else's place for my whole life…

Here I have a new life, and a new story. I've found something special.

… how could I leave you?" He said turning to her, still seated on the underwater bench.

"Haven't you trusted me with your own life?" She began to walk away

"Can you trust me as much when I tell you that I love you?" He said as he stood to face her, grabbing her heel just before she moves out of reach. She turned back to see him… He had let go of her heel and he stood bare before her. She observed him from head to… toe. She stared for a moment, his waistline defined and slim, veins protruding through the skin of his arms, shoulders, and his lower abdomen. His abdominal features and hip muscles were very clearly defined which held her eyes for a considerable amount of time.

She knelt to his height from where he stood in the bath and folded her hands within her sleeves,

She looked down and shut her eyes, taking a deep breath,

"Whenever I have time alone, my mind is perpetually stirs, and in silence on occasion, like this morning, my thoughts begin to get away from me. I will dwell most often on thoughts of abandonment, and not being wanted." Mako paused in silence.

"What makes it far worse, is that I am aware of their onset… and yet even then, I can't do anything about it." She began to shed tears.

"I want to believe that you love me, but I have so many moments where I feel that I simply cannot be loved."

He moved forward to her, placing his hand on where hers met the ground.

"Have you seen the necklace I have had crafted for you?" She looked up as he asked, her eyes glistening.

"I didn't want to spoil the surprise, but I thought so much about us, and I drew up a design. I talked with a guy who liked it a lot, and he engraved it and gave it a coat of resin."

"I can't wait to see it," she said softly.

"I won't show you until the day is here, I promise."

"… okay," she whispered. They looked at each other.

"… and I want to know more about these thoughts, these feelings if you feel comfortable expressing them. I care about you, and I can't have you feel like you're not wanted." He smiled at her, taking her hand.

She leaned in taking his face, grasping at his hair while she placed her other hand on his chest for support. She pulled away for a second, and he looked at her.

"Join me," he said deeply, tugging her toward the water.

"Nooo, I just got dried off!"

"Okay, I'll let you go, for now."

"I'll have to join you some other time," she said with a slight grin. She stood and left him to finish his bathing.

When he emerged, he smelled of Teak, Pine, and Mahogany. Desna approached him.

"Enjoy the bath house?" He asked.

"Yes actually, it was surprisingly…," he looked over to where Eska sat in front of her mother, who was braiding her hair, "welcoming."

The four gathered what they had and followed Malina and White Hawk to the catamaran.

"Will you be coming with us to return to the Northern Water Tribe Malina?" asked Mako. The other three turned to look at him, "Oh… I'm sorry I didn't-"

"No, Mako," Malina responded softly, "I am afraid I cannot return with you. I will take you as far as the outskirts of the upper tier villages, but I cannot proceed further."

"Oka-" Eska squeezed his hand and he looked over to her; she lightly shook her head. He nodded in return.

They rode in the catamaran. It had an Internal Combustion Engine with plenty of fuel within, and Malina knew the way quite well. White Hawk occupied the seat next to her, panting and looking out of the front windshield. Mako and Eska sat quietly together while Desna conversed with his mother about the spiritual matters of the tribe, and he updated her on the position of spiritual minister of the Northern Water Tribe, a position he was expected to inherit.

They arrived around an hour before midday, and they departed from the boat. When she stepped off the ship, she hugged Desna,

"I am so proud of you my son," she said holding onto him and kissing him all over his face. Desna didn't mind being seen while loved on by his mother, he loved his mother. She came over to Eska and did the same, White Hawk nuzzling against Desna, compelling him to reach down and scratch the pup's chest. As soon as she was done showering Eska with affection she approached Mako taking his hand between her own, and she smiled at him.

"Take care of my little river dear," she said to him sweetly.

She beckoned the dog back onto the catamaran, and they left quickly. Mako looked over to the other two, both with heavy hearts written on their faces, thus he decided to give them a needed moment.

"Come back," she said as he began to step away.

"I'm sorry about earlier," he said to her softly.

"You need not feel sorry, you didn't know," she responded.

"I have to get to the courthouse, we can take the tunnel," proposed Desna.

"I've never been to it, I've heard quite a bit about it," responded Mako. The twins looked at each other and smiled.

"It's a beautiful tunnel we made as a conjoint project for the community. People now use it to travel to the upper tiers," said Eska as they approached the mouth of the tunnel. Torches lined the walls to light the way, and around the opening, a baroque arrangement of icy detailing and mosaics decorated the way.

"Wow, you must have spent weeks with all of this! That's amazing!" he said to them.

"It took us seven months to finish in complete detail and structure; we wanted for it to be great, to symbolize a door to a new era, for the avatar, and the Water tribe." said Desna. Mako marveled at the decorations and the ornate pair of stairways, one for descent and the other for ascent. Every step was giving its own unique pattern of carving on the frontside, the molding was consolidated and compacted to be unyielding like stone. Between the two staircases was snow. Looking down through the tunnel, he could see that it stretched on for days. He looked around and laughed to himself, seeing a sled in the distance.

"What's funny?" inquired Eska, turning and tilting her head.

"Oh, it's nothing," responded Mako.

"Clearly it is something Mako." Desna turned to look at the two.

"Well, when I saw the midway between the sets of stairs, I honestly thought about Bolin," he said to them, but they looked at one another flustered over the matter, "He would have seen that and begged me to sled down it with him when we were kids."

"Is this a reference to the penguin sledding I've heard about before?" inquired Eska.

"I've never tried that with penguins, but I have tried it down a road in a dumpster with wheels," said Mako, Eska turning to giggle at him, "That's a long story though."

"It sounds like it," said Desna smiling and shaking his head.

From the tunnel's opening they proceeded downward, seeing it fork into three different passageways. Desna bid them a farewell, as he decided to stop by the courthouse prior to heading home. The other two bid him safety before they proceeded down their own way, which was long and dim.

"Is this enough light?" he asked softly. She stopped and turned back to him nodding gently.

"Is it enough for you?" she asked gently, hiding half of her face in the wool of her parka. Her eyes glowed with the illumination of torches.

"I think so, I just want to make sure your step is secure. I don't want you to fall," he said closing the distance in steps between the two of them. As he said this, a cold wind blew through the tunnel, snuffing out the lights.

"That happens on occasion, the lights come back on eventually," she said, and in response he lit a gentle flame in his hands, illuminating the two of them. They said nothing, but simply looked at one another in the near complete darkness of the tunnel with a sweet warmth between them. Mako breathed in deeply, closing his eyes, expanding the grasp of his warmth, and as it enveloped her, she blushed, seeing this, he did too.

"… We should get you home soon," said Mako.

"I'm in no rush…" she said flirtatiously, glancing at him with sweetened eyes and smirk. She took the wrist from which he produced flame and gently motioned it downward, and it released as her lips contacted his. It wasn't overly passionate, nor was it indulgent, but it tasted sweetly, and with tenderness in every bite. His hand took hers, and she gently, gracefully licked his lips. She took her hand back and wrapped both behind his head, leaning back beneath him as he scooped her up in his arms. They briefly separated as the lanterns lit the tunnel once again, the two broke, being eyeful of one another.

He smiled at her as her hair draped downward in braids, and she returned the sweetest gaze to him, looking at him tenderly with hands wrapped behind his neck for stability. He gently pulled her upright again, smiling, and red all over their faces. He reeled her in, embracing her, and she held onto him tightly, burying her face in his chest and his presence.

They stood like that for at least ten minutes before emerging from the tunnel, much happier than when they went in.

The two of them arrived at the residence to find Desna had beaten them home.

"How'd you get home so fast?" asked Mako.

"It's easy when you have nobody to distract you," said Desna laughing to himself as they entered the parlor to the residence.

"Hey! There they are! See Tonraq I told you they'd be back!" said Kya as everyone gathered into the same room. Senna was ecstatic to see everyone home safe and immediately gave hugs out to everyone.

"How was the spir- Whoa!" said Kya, beholding the new node on Mako's forehead.

"It's new, I know, but I guess there are a lot of things we have to talk about over the lunch."

"The lunch has been cancelled Mako," said Tonraq.

"Wow… when did that happen?"

"I issued the order this morning, as Hotah had been spotted this morning with some of his followers riding around in a stolen catamaran. We think they may be up to something."

"What about the meeting?" asked Mako.

"It has been rescheduled and is in thirty minutes. If they have something planned, then we need to throw them off," Tonraq stated.

"Oh, we're just on time then," said Mako, attempting to look on the bright side.

The whole of the family made themselves presentable, and the three left their personal belongings within the parlor as they left out the door as soon as they came, however Mako briefly slipped away to snatch the necklace from his bag, out of its case, fastening it in his coat pocket. Mako was quiet and stoic as he walked, deeply breathing, and focusing on the task at hand.

"Don't focus too hard, you're gonna hurt yourself," poked Kya, who walked next to him.

"It's a force of habit. I use focus and adrenaline to get things done," he said to her.

"I know, but you have to remember that you aren't in control of the things that are coming up here, and it is important to accept these things as they come," she said, "I'm sorry, I know you just got back and advice should probably wait, but I care about you and don't want to see you stress so much."

"Thank you, Kya," he said to her, "You have been a blessing in my life; I really don't know what I could do to thank you, other than to tell you that I love you like family, and that you will always be welcome wherever I am."

"I love you too Mako, it has been so wonderful getting to see you grow the way you have, I'm hoping we can get another session before I leave if you don't mind. I really hope to learn about what you found in your journey," she said to him, giving him a hug.

"I can't wait to tell you about it honestly…"

"Mako!" said Tonraq from the back of the group, "I need to talk to you!" Kya nodded to him as he moved over to where Tonraq walked. He looked in good condition save for a few bandages across his shoulders and chest.

"Is it about the meeting?"

"Yes, we have investigated the block for explosives and have guards posted on high alert at every corner. We have wolfdogs sniffing out any fuel that could be used, so we should be good for now."

"We caught Hotah coming back from the spirit world. He's been using the portals to navigate companies of his troops from the South. He stole our catamaran, and that's how he's been getting around," Mako said. Tonraq looked on solemnly.

"Mako, I don't know if you understand this, but something doesn't feel right today. Something is going to happen, and I can feel it."

Mako looks forward as they soon arrive at the courtyard, "… I know what you mean."

They arrive to the rally point taking notice of the advanced measures of security, and they note that the stage has been rebuilt since the previous explosion. It would be a shame to see it come apart again so soon.

Mako led Eska to the stage where there was reserved seating for her and Tonraq, Senna, Tenzin, and the others, except for Mako and Kya, whom as candidates were given their own separate seating.

"Good afternoon everyone!" the judge announced, commencing the events, and receiving muttering in return from the audience in attendance, "It is my pleasure to announce the candidates for today's poll for associate chief, as we have many wonderful candidates present here today. If we could please give them a round of applause for their offering of service to their tribe," he said to the arousal of the audience. All of the four candidates stood, reseating themselves as the audience died down.

"First on the list of candidates is Mako of Republic City, head of security of the Royal Court of the Northern Water Tribe!" he announced. As Mako stood to the excitement of the audience. He held his head high, but tried to not look enthusiastic.

"The second, is Kya, daughter of Avatar Aang and Master Healer and spiritual counselor of Southern Water Tribe!" he announced. The audience was immediately riled, receiving favor from all sides. Her presence was charismatic as she smiled sweetly and bowed at the honor she received.

The other two candidates, being of the same party of Hotah, nominated in lieu of his absence received silence and booing on the part of a somewhat rowdy audience. Tonraq stood reaching his hand over them and they settled. He issued a brief nod before seated himself again. Eska sat next to Mako, clutching his hand rater tightly, Kya having taken his other hand. The judge received and envelope from an official who soon thereafter walked offstage, after whispering a brief message. The judge nodded in understanding.

"It is my understanding that the tally of all poll results has been completed, and the winner of the race, I will announce in this moment!" The crowd grew silent in anticipation, hearing the envelope be torn open and the paper be unfolded over the microphone. Everyone is tense, their hearts beating in their chests.

"And the winner of the poll…" he began. Mako held his breath, "By a mere three votes… is Mako!" the crowd raised with excitement in that immediate moment. He is brought forth to speak to the tribe as the new associate chief, as Eska bites her lip, closes her eyes, and sheds a few tears, clinging to the necklace beneath the sleeve of her robe.

As she hears this announcement, Eska let's go of his hand and brings in back into her sleeve, turning her head away.

"I'm sorry sweetie," she said beneath the audience, "It's going to be okay, we'll figure something out, I promise," she said, still holding his hand. He is stoic, and silently nods. The judge motions for Mako to come to the podium and deliver a speech, and he rises to the excitement and audible approval of the audience.

"Good afternoon… Northern Water Tribe," he began, awkwardly and inexpressive. He sighed audibly, trying to maintain a façade of enthusiasm.

"It is my pleasure to be at each one of your service, and to relieve the burdens of your chiefs," he continued, and as he spoke, he began to feel a sense of vertigo, and dizziness. He breathed in deeply.

"I hope to perform well to your liking, and to the approval of the administrative board," he continued, as his peripheral vision became distorted, his eyes moving into the distance. He was nervous, having broken out into a cold sweat when he felt his forehead tense, and the node suddenly flourished in feeling but not appearance. He felt his eyes drawn and his vision zoom in to a building in the distance. His farsight revealed a number of figures standing on rooftops in the distance, and the further he zoomed, the more details he eyed. Characters in thick parkas, and footsoldiers surrounding them.

"Are you okay, Mako" asked the judge aloud. Mako nodded lightly.

"Yeah… just getting some vertigo from being up here is all," he said, smiling briefly. Hotah looks back to him, and snickers. He knows he is seen, and in this, he places a briefcase on the barrier bordering the rooftop, opening it. He removed a metal contraption, and Mako simply stared, the sweat running down his brow.

"Should I call a doctor?" the judge inquired, covering the microphone "You don't look so good, son." Mako still stared into the distance as the contraption flashed with a red light. It's too late. Tonraq had the guards inspect every inch of the place, top to bottom. If there were explosives, then he didn't know where they were. Hotah waved the detonator around in the air, hopping around and laughing. He thought about the sewers suddenly, realizing the whole block could go under at any minute, the sewers themselves running beneath the entire square.

What was he waiting for? Why had he not done so already? If he tried to evacuate the square, to warn anyone, to point out Hotah, or to redirect the situation in any way, Hotah could blow the whole square.

"I would like to thank a few people before I continue," he said, breaking through the awkward silence that had suddenly arisen, "Most particularly I would like to thank the chiefs I whom I will be serving," he assured with a nervous smile. Behind his back he delivered a desperate hand signal, ensuring it was out of Hotah's sight.

Eska suddenly stood up, placed the betrothal necklace behind her in the chair for everyone to see, and proceeded off stage, to be followed by Kya, Tonraq, Desna, and Senna.

"At least they would be okay," he thought, smirking and in a cold sweat and shedding a tear.

"Mako… what's wrong?" the judge pushed. Mako leaned onto the podium, glaring. Hotah still stands in the distance with the detonator and Mako breathes deeply.

"You damned coward," he utters into the microphone. He saw Hotah's facial expression change from afar.

"You claim to have a spiritual cause, but fight your war with explosives, against innocents!"

"You're a disgrace to your tribe, your family, your community."

"Your targets are gone, probably away from here by now, I hope you were prepared."

Hotah simply grins and raises the detonator and flips the switch. Mako braced himself, "Everybody get out of here! This whole block is gonna blow!"

The people frantically ran off when suddenly, an explosion! but he was still alive. He turned around… the courthouse! The judge dove downward as he heard the explosion.

"You son of a bitch!" He said charging lightning, bolting out toward Hotah, but hitting his associate who was zapped, flying across the rooftop, Hotah ran out of sight.

Mako ran toward the explosion, but paused, and ran back to the stage, snatching the necklace, and putting it with the one he bought himself, then blasting his way to the courthouse, now partially collapsed.

He kicks down the door of the courthouse with a massive burst of fire, "Is anyone in here!?" he demands.

"MAKO!" Tonraq calls back in the distance. He runs out to see him.

"What are you doing here! Why did you come to the courthouse?!" Said Mako grabbing at Tonraq's collar. He was becoming unhinged in voice and facial expression.

"It's protocol to evacuate to the nearest government building available and lock the doors. Hotah must have known!"

"Where are they?!"

"They're in the basement! Follow me!"

Tonraq led him through the fires, pushing past icy debris and dodging falling materials. When they got to the basement doorway, it was blocked off by a large chunk of debris. It was wooden, so Tonraq began cutting away at it. Mako turned to his six to spot insurgents forming up

"We got company! I got your six!"

Mako took up a boxing stance and began to shoot controlled, precise bolts of flame, taking out soldiers with deadly precision. Ice bolts flew by, penetrating the wall next to Tonraq

"Going to need some cover here!"

"I'm on it!"

He picked up a metal pole from the ground and began taking out bolts of ice as they came, turning any hoses of water to steam with his hands.

"How close are you to being done?!" Mako said, batting away at spears of ice.

"Just a few more seconds!"

With a massive bolt of ice shattered, Mako's Pole broke and he began using lightning to ward of the enemies, charging bolt after bolt, gradually finding himself exhausted.

The soldiers moved in as Tonraq finished cutting the wood, kicking through the remainder, and banging on the door calling out for Senna.

Senna opened the door to see a bolt of ice fly by her, Mako was taking hit after hit of ice. Tonraq shielded him with a wall of ice and dragged him back into the basement just as the wall shattered!

As soon as the door was closed, Desna and Eska barricaded the door with walls and pillars of ice.

Mako winced and groaned a second and stood, through pain and placed his arm over his rib cage where a massive welt had developed. He was used to getting hit hard, but this was something else.

He grabbed a table for stability and looked around a minute. He saw the others, Kya, Desna, Eska, Senna, and Tonraq.

"What are you all looking at me for? We've got to get out of here!"

"There is no way out of here, these walls have no escape routes, and they are impenetrable." Said Tonraq.

"Will they be as much when all seven floors collapse on top of it?"

There was silence.

"Listen, one way or another, we've got to get out of this spot. They are on the doorstep of the only way in; we have one option."

Tonraq walks over and placing his head in his hand, suddenly bursting, and breaking a table in half out of anger. Senna took his arm.

"We are going to have to punch a hole straight through them, and we will have to do it aggressively, or this won't work. Desna: you, me, and Eska are going out first, and we are going to have to hit them with everything we've got!"

"Tonraq, Kya, I want you to stay back and focus on defense; keep Senna safe and keep us covered! Everyone into position! We've got to move quick! I'll get the door!"

"Mako, are you sure you're in condition to-.."

"I'll be fine! I have to be!"

Everyone moved into position as Senna ducked down behind Tonraq and Kya.

"Get ready!"

Mako began to breathe deeply and to clear his mind, just in the way that Kya had taught him. His breathing became rhythmic, and he became surrounded by a ring of bluing flame.

It was like it was breathing with him, responding to his energy, and gradually building, making the room not warm, but hot.

He scowled and breathed one last time before crouching down beneath the intense flames. There was a building noise in the air, like a bomber in dive, speeding and charging at full capacity, it was loud, and the group covered their ears.

The flames suddenly swirl inward to a ball of light which Mako beheld between his hands, eyes tightly shut, he begins a series of breaths before relaxing his face, and audibly inhaling with a whistle, greatly leaping, and delivering all the fury of hell's blast furnace through the door before him with a column of fire that cleared the hallway in an instant!

The group quickly proceeds through the smoke. Eska and Desna hurling a thousand serpents' tongues of ice through the other side of the smoke, as Mako delivers bolt, after bolt of fire. The insurgents run, overwhelmed with the shock of their movements, some carrying darts in their shields, and some in their heels!

Mako blasts himself forward into the collapsing lobby covering the group and firing out in all directions, taking bolts of ice as they came.

Desna and Eska lunge forth with a massive wave that swept through the lobby, suddenly frozen, encapsulating insurgents within the torrent!

The whole building gives a massive lurch, with excruciating volume of the creaking of steel and shattering of massive blocks of ice.

Mako turns and breathes, that's all he remembered.

A beam shoots forth from between his eyes driving a hole through the side of the collapsing courthouse!

The pieces of a massive shard of ice are expelled outward instead of on top of Tonraq and Senna who looked at him, wide-eyed in shell shock. He runs forward to grab them both.

"Let's go! We are leaving!" he emphatically spits out!

As they moved through the lobby they approached the doorway, witnessing Hotah run with his associates into the courtroom.

"Mako what are you doing! This whole building is about to give way!"

"Get out of here! I'm finishing this fight!"

Mako sprinted after Hotah, followed by Tonraq. Mako emerged into the darkness of the courtroom and the door slammed shut in front of Tonraq

"MAKO!" He said banging on the door.

"HOTAH!" Shouted Mako, "Get out here you coward son of a bitch!"

"It's about time you showed up! You were about to miss the grand finale!" the lights were on, and he was surrounded by insurgents

"Here very soon we will all be free of our mortal bodies! We will arise creatures of not flesh, but spirit alone!" As he spoke, Explosives armed all around him, he heard their beeping and whizzing.

Outside the door, Tonraq attempted to break down the door over and again!

"Tonraq what are you doing!?" Shouted the guards.

"They've got Mako trapped in the courtroom!"

"We've got to go this whole building will be down on our heads in a few seconds!"

"I'm not leaving without Mako! Get over here and help me!" He shouted with fervor.

Eska brewed outside with the suspense of no on having emerged she dashed back inside the building. When she entered, she saw the guards attempting to break the door down.

"Break damn it!" Yelled one of the guards after each impact.

Eska looked out the window to the lake below and to the side of the courthouse and leaped out the side, carving her way down the steep hillside.

"Stop! What the hell is that noise?!" The battering ram stopped.

"Shit! Get down!" Shouted one guard beholding a tidal wave incoming of the courthouse.

"You made a mistake Boy! You should have aligned with my cause when you had a chance! You could have been something great!" Hotah raised his voice coarsely, his face turning red.

"And now you'll pay for your crimes, and so may your family and everyone you know and love!"

"You Maniac! Sick men! All of you!" Mako said as the insurgents pinned him down with ice!

Hotah paused "Dust to scum, scum to dust. You and me both." He said in disgust, flicking the switch to his detonator. Suddenly an ear ripping explosion, and Mako was swept to his side, before being frozen in a sphere, unable to breathe. He struggled to move, but within the sphere he was embraced.

The sphere soon melted away and the room was black, he lit it up to find Eska holding him, and the ceiling low enough for him to touch. He looked around but couldn't find a way out.

"Eska?"

"I'm here Mako!" She said as she held him.

"We've got to go; this building is coming down!"

"I don't know what to do! There's no way out and-

There was a pause

"…I'm scared." She said her voice beginning to shake.

"Hey, don't be, I'll be here with you, always. Look at me." He said as she raised her face, makeup beginning to run, "nobody dies tonight! I won't let that happen!"

He looked around to find a crevice and found some light emanating from a circular window about fifty feet in the air.

"Mako, what are you doing?!" The space was tight, but he used it to charge lightning.

The building began coming down as he shot a bolt through the glass shattering it to pieces. The volume of the noise was agonizing and screaming. Mako lunged forward to grab his darling and rocketed them to the window almost being cut off by falling pillars! He breathed deeply and his fire screamed. They suddenly met the air and were jettisoned out of the side of the building toward the lake!

Eska acted quickly and began to wave her arms, before Mako enveloped her, shielding her from the impact, and the lake reached out to them to catch them, and they plunged deeply and quickly into the waters through a chunks of ice on the surface., holding each other for their lives.

Mako emerged, Holding Eska, to meet the freezing air with people gathering at the side of the lake, jumping in to draw them to the side. They were dragged by witnesses to the lakeside where they hacked and vomited freezing water, now tainted with their blood. Mako bled from his nose profusely, having developed a major abrasion on the side of his head from hitting the water.

Mako dragged himself over and breathed to pour warmth into her body. She opened her eyes in his embrace, only for him to pass out.

"Get them inside now!" Said an older woman's voice as the two faded from consciousness together.

In his sleep, there were no dreams, just warmth and rest. He was aware of the rest, as he rested. The realm he created was a lucid dream of the void, emptiness, and shadow. He felt a great inexistence begin to swallow even the nothingness of the void. A jolt of lightning as he was lifted, jumping as if startled, delivered from it, but this couldn't sustain him. The incomprehensible inexistence swallowed his thoughts and consciousness, sweeping him away.

He felt jolts of his body clear through his soul, now becoming separated. He saw flashes, scenes of his life. He saw Bolin, reaching for him, but unable to reach him.

He froze, his consciousness embedded into the embodiment of an infant, but a few months of age. His distress became outwardly displayed as he struggled with his feeble limbs and whined. A face emerged from his side, taking his tiny, softened hands in her own, smiling so sweetly upon him. A man appeared to the left of his vision.

"What's the matter buddy?" asked the man, reaching forward to pick him up, and as he retrieved Mako, he pressed him to his chest, and Mako felt his heartbeat, slowly and steadily. This eased his distress and soothed his cries.

"It's okay Mako, sweetie," said the woman requesting to hold him, "We're still here," she said pressing his embodiment to her chest. He heard her heartbeat, lighter in personality and sweetly singing. She hummed a lullaby as he felt the warmth from between her breasts.

"Winter, spring… summer, and fall…"

"Go to sleep darling…"

His soul was enveloped in a moment of absolute unconsciousness,

…and then, came the light.

When he gradually came to, he felt that he had been submerged, beneath shallow, warm waters, simply floating and basking. He felt relaxed, and at peace. He looked through the shallow waters from where he laid on the floor to witness the contorted form of a light, just overhead of him.

He himself stood up, unclothed and bare; he reached for his eye, to find that it was alive and flesh again. He stood within a pond surrounded by pure darkness, witnessing a bright white light confound him, and from this light descended a spirit.

"Hello?" he asked frantically. There was a long period of silence as he began to grow anxious.

"For as long as you have lived here, I have watched you…" Mako looked around for the source of the voice, but it almost seemed to come from… everywhere.

"What-.. Who are you?"

"I… am the spirit of the moon."

"Wait.. Tui?" she descended further to his level, coming into detail that he could see her.

"Some have called me this, but before they called me this, they called me…" her voice trailed off into a low tone.

"Wait-I'm so sorry- I missed that last pa-"

"Yue…" He stood in admiration of her grace and illuminated beauty. Her name reverberated within his soul, and he saw visions of a Monster of light and sea, merged, and wreaking havoc on the North pole. Fire nation ships being slice cleanly in two, tanks being smashed and tossed into the depths, and soldiers being washed away at the will of the wrath of the sea for fury of its lost lover. He seized and gasped for a moment, witnessing the reddening of the moon, and the scorching of its mortal form as the night turned black like coal. From out of the darkness he witnessed a young lady, hair like the light of the moon, being raised up from the oasis to take her place in the sky.

He looked back to her in awe. She sat on the edge of the pond.

"… Why am I here, Yue?" he asked as she dipped her feet in the pond. She looked to him.

"Because I am grateful for you, and for the sacrifice you have endured to keep my people alive." He looked at her in confusion with a tilted head.

"Have I really given so much?"

"You gave your life… Mako" she said as he recoiled in abject horror.

"You mean…-" his head went to his hands as he trembled in the shock. He fell to his knees, shedding tears of light. Yue skated gracefully across the surface of the pond, reaching down to pull him to her.

"Do not despair…" she stated as he began to grow increasingly disconsolate. She took one of his hands within hers and enveloped him in light. He took a few minutes, mourning not the loss of another, but the loss of himself.

He mourned greatest of all the loss that the others would feel with him forever gone. He fell apart, knelt in the dust of the pond. She picked him up, leading him to the edge of the pond, where she laid his head in her lap, lying on the rim. In time he gradually moved into silent tears which he shed for her. He gradually thought about Eska, and nothing else. His chest sank and his chin trembled. She graced him with solace, stroking her hands gently through his hair as he wept into her comfort.

"I promised her I wouldn't leave her. I told her I would be there to love her and hold her…"

"I am aware of this, I heard you say it beneath my skies, time and again." She smiled with benevolence and sweetness as she looked down at him. He laid onto his back, shaking his head, thinking heavily for a moment.

"…I don't think I could do eternity without her…" there was a moment of silence between the two of them as she had no reaction of dismay or grief written on her face.

"Do not despair, Mako; You will do no such thing."

"What do you mean?" he asked of her, raising his head slightly from her lap, "You said I was dead."

"So was I once… when I was born," he sat up and looked her in her eyes glowing amidst the depths that surrounded her, "I was still and silent," she stated as she touched the center of his forehead, and as she did so, he witnessed another vision, his eyes beheld a child, stillborn, swaddled in quietness, healers of watered hands searching for answers within her but finding nothing.

He witnessed her father in total grief and desperation, that he turned to the moon that rose in the sky that evening and pleaded from it, life for his child.

"They brought me with the last of their hope… here."

"What… is this place?"

"The spirit oasis is in the very heart of the tribe, where all the spiritual energy of the tribe collides, where the spirits of the ocean and the moon dance in eternal grace in their mortal forms, and where I have brought you… it is where they brought me."

"They placed me in the waters, and my hair turned white…

And I began to cry…" she said. He felt his body go limp as she lifted him by waving her hand over his body, levitating himself from his placement on the bank, not touching him.

Mako failed to produce any words, and he felt himself be helplessly lowered into the waters as they swaddled him… His eyes shut, and he breathed deeply, his lungs filled with water and spirit as he seized and struggled until he finally ceased movement… He drowned.

The blanket rested gently over a figure in the center of the room, the only other figure present, a burly man who stood in somber silence, not weeping, only his breath broke the quiet. He was heavy in spirit and in heart, and such was visible. As he sank in spirit, the room descended with him, being drained of all color and life.

His tears rolled from the stilled silhouette of the figure on the table, and he raises his hand to simply wipe his face, but his head lowers to it, and he collapses to his knees.

"…D-Damn son," he uttered, unable to produce anything else. He gripped his own hair as he burst up and laid waste to the room, all things scattered to every corner of the room in bitterness and anguish.

He emerged from the room, somberly, with the same demeanor as he had before, quietly shut the door behind him. The hall was filled with souls in silence, and nothing more. Their hearts had spilled beyond their capacity to handle in the last hour, and there was nothing more of them left.

Tonraq's throat trembled as he stood outside the door. Senna reached for his hand, and she stood to him; he embraced her tightly, burying his face into her neck, and breathing heavily, shakingly.

At the end of the hall was another room, and another figure on a table, not dead, but breathing, alive and well. She wailed and tore pieces of her hair from her head, her face drenched in tears and blood. Her cries resonated throughout the hospital, rousing the hearts that lined the corridors to be moved to tears. Her brother tried to hold her hands down, to keep her from scratching open her skin, but he fell away from her, breaking into pieces gracefully.

She tore her way from the table, and spears of ice emerged from the walls, tearing her restraints, and the intubation sites from her arms. As she passed into the hall, people tried to stop her, nobody could, she was strong, and threw anything from her path. Doctors moved to sedate her, but the syringes broke and froze, fusing to their hands. An emergency door shut her into a transition chamber. She turned. She reached through the walls, breaking through and opening them to her will with the water pipes within them. She gracefully walked with a facial expression of wide eyes unblinking and bloodshot, pointed at the floor.

She raised her arms at wall after wall, tearing through the hospital as predator tears through prey. She shook and twitched, uttering prayers to the spirits of the moon and the ocean that lies were truth, and truth were lies. She tore her way into a room where the whole of it lay a disaster. The water covered the floor, and as soon as she stepped in, she glided across the floor slowly, not even touching the ground.

Her eyes scanned a blanketed figure in sheer horror. She gently removed the covering, witnessing his face, but it wasn't him. This was an object, just as any other within the room, scattered across the floor, immersed in water, this wasn't him. This may have once been his. The door burst open, and she shielded the two of themselves within razor sharp stalactites and stalagmites taken from the walls, the floor, the ceiling. She wanted to wail over him, but nothing was left of her. She was just an object, a shell, the same as this on the table, devoid of soul and spirit.

"Nothing will keep me from you…" her voice was soft.

"Eska! Don't do this!"

"I promise, you promised."

"No one takes my beloved…" she shattered a stalactite, selecting the sharpest of the pieces.

"No one…"

"Get this open now!"

"Not again…" her voice broke.

The thick ice enclosure shattered inward and the tip of the ice within her hands drove into her, drawing blood, but emerged from her in unwitting hesitation. Her eyes went wide as she cried out, Kya reaching through which clenched fists, and tense, unnatural, and contorted form, on the verge of shattering herself.

Kya lowered her form, the woman she handled, responded.

"Get her now!" she hissed at the nurse who moved in to sedate her. Her eyes slowly closed, and she fell to the floor, completely limp.

Kya rushed in to halt the bleeding, keeping her essence within her, but it dripped out on her hands.

"I need blood in here, please!" her voice was breaking, but she did not raise her voice to a scream. Healers helped her to a clearing on the floor where they sealed the broken vessels and mended as much tissue as they could. Desna ran in to hold his beloved sister, now hollowed by this. Blood burst from within her, pouring out like a fountain. All surrounding, recoiled in abject horror… this was the moment that they lost all hope.

Vibrant red dye spilled out from the center of the room, diluting into the pool of water in which she now rested.

"No… Please no…" pleaded Kya aloud.

There was a helpless silence in the room, as the blood had touched every corner of the room now. The doctors were used to seeing blood, but Desna was in sheer catatonia, unable to feel, trying to make sense of what he was seeing before him. Nobody left the room alive.

The hospital was evacuated immediately due to infrastructural compromise, as she had torn through many load-bearing walls.

The bodies were carried out, to be buried at sea… at once. Tonraq carried Mako, and Kya, Eska, both now wrapped in sheets.

The procession was spontaneous, but many came to see who had passed, and dropped in mourning.

In the center of the road, stood a woman, with a sweet wolf in tow; she was hooded and cloaked. As the procession approached, she raised her hand to halt them. She unhooded herself to reveal her face covered in paint.

She approached the front and raised her hand, in invitation…

Light burst before them, and they were confronted by a beautiful, young spirit cloaked in white.

"Despair not my people…"

Of all the things people had seen today… the spirit of the moon pointed Tonraq to the sea, and the command was felt upon his heart to place the body upon the water. Tonraq did as he had been commanded. Everyone present was in total silence. Tonraq knelt at the pier. Trembling and bawling as he shut his eyes, winced, and allowed for the cadaver to slip into the waters, where beneath them, a light emerged.

Tonraq suddenly went wide-eyed as he jumped up and suddenly sprinted back into the tribe. It was uphill, but he ran, Senna and Tenzin followed him in pursuit.

Malina looked to the moon spirit, and the moon spirit back to her. She nodded humbly stepping forward to the body of her daughter, carried by Kya. She gently removed the blanket, and her knees buckled when she witnessed the corpse. She whimpered, but stood again, taking the body of her daughter over to a fountain in the road on which the spirit descended.

"Desna…" her voice broke for a moment.

"…Mother?"

"Come here my son, please…" her voice trembled as she spoke out. Desna approached her to witness the look in her eyes. Tears were dripping from her face as she set the body beneath the waters.

"I love you my son. You must always remember this."

"Mother wh-"

"Don't ask questions please," she begged, "My destiny has come to take me."

She kissed her son on the lips and all over and held him tight as if to be fused to one another. He began to cry again.

"I love you mother…" he said weakly.

"This isn't goodbye, I promise… my little river. We will see each other when the time is ripe, and no sooner," she said this as she stepped back from him, next to where Eska's body lay beneath the cold pool.

She looked to the benevolent spirit which had set herself upon the waters, "Bless you benevolent Yue," she said woefully as she folded her hands within her robes and looked to the floor of the fountain.

Just then, she sank through as if yanked under. Desna runs to the edge leaving handprints of blood on the fountain, only to be thrown aback by a bright light emerging from the waters and a coursing wind.

"Mother of faces, I request your aid," stated Yue. Her voice echoed into eternity and beyond the material world.

"This I will do Benevolent one." Stated another voice.

"Do not be afraid my people," stated the voice of Tui herself. The audience of what was the procession surrounded the fountain, bearing witness to most supernatural events. Bright light beaconed to the sky, parting the clouds around it, joined by a second, further North in the tribe.

Tonraq maintained an unyielding pace. He was persistent, and following him, was the wolf, once held by Malina, Tenzin riding a spheroid of air, with Senna in his arms. He grappled over the walls of the courtyard facility and navigated his way around the rubble of the decimated structure, finding himself in the rearmost portion of the tribe, where Tenzin shows up and demands his knowledge.

"Tonraq! Where are you going?!" he shouted. Tonraq runs over to where Tenzin set himself down.

Tonraq whispers into his ear and Tenzin's eyes, once red and welling with tears went wide, and with a whip and whistle of wind, he snaps the lock, and they enter the chamber of the oasis, to find a man, tall, inked, and bare, standing within the pond. He looked over and smiled through tears, his eyes both having been restored, and the red node upon his head embellished with gold.

"…Hey," he said.

The three approached in disbelief, unable to trust their own eyes with the events which they had witnessed of horror and failure.

Tonraq comes to the edge of the pond to look at him, removing his glove to touch his face to see if his perception is deception. He dragged Mako to him with joy and tears, Mako laughing and patting him on the back as they embrace. Senna runs to him, wrapping him in her parka so they can bring him out of the waters. Tenzin himself grabbed hold of him and held him for a moment.

"We-… We thought we had lost you son," he said to Mako, continuing the torrent of his tears.

"I couldn't let you be rid of me so soon," he replied, the two smiling and laughing with gleaming eyes at one another.

The apparition of Yue ascended the beam which shot into the sky, that she would resume her place in her benevolent watch over the tribe. The whole tribe watched as the moon returned to its place in the night, and the beam faded, and as the light of the moon resumed, it shined a bright beam down onto the fountain. There was a reverent silence except for the downpour of the fountain, and the wind.

Her face emerged from the waters gasping, new and fresh, untainted. She rolled to her side, expelling any water from within her, and as she did so, Desna rushed forth with a thick fur robe to wrap her in. She was naked, and her skin had been made flawless. A streak of white stretched down the side of her head in her hair, cuing that she had been touched by her benevolence. The crowd looked on in absolute shock with gasps and clamor ringing out among the masses.

Desna stood in disbelief as he carried her onward. A man in a nearby inn demanded them inside for warmth as he frantically tossed firewood into his hearth for his chiefess' sake. Kya had the crowd managed enough that she could rush in and refuse any further admittance thus forth.

The two had donned ceremonial wear, having bathed after the horrors of earlier that morning. Eska looked to Desna with eyes half open, and she smiled faintly. Kya and Desna smiled through tears of their own down at her. She nuzzled her way into Desna's chest and fell asleep. Desna kissed the top of her head over and over as he held her tightly. Kya rushed to the residence nearby to find clothing for her, as although it had not been terribly windy, it was still awfully cold that evening.

The innkeeper drew up a small futon on which to place her, for which the Desna thanked him greatly. He sat and stared at her, now laying peacefully on the bed beside the hearth. Desna leaned forward, kissing her on the forehead and wrapping a towel around her hair as she lay down.

The three, Tonraq, Tenzin, and Senna, all emerged from the oasis, met by several soldiers, fortified against the entryway.

"You are all under arrest for Desecration of the Sacred Oasis!" shouted an officer from the group. The three raised their hands, now on the pointed ends of spears and icicles levitated by unfriendly waterbenders.

Mako stepped out to the shock of the group. Many of them tilted their heads, having been in the procession until the point that they were alerted to the breaking and entering of the domain of the spirits. Mako gently raised his hands, to which everyone recoiled, unsure of what was to happen if he extended his hands over them.

"It's a long story…" he said aloud, "Don't worry about them, they haven't done anything other than what they had been commanded by the spirit of the moon." His hair draped down into his face, still being wet from his immersion, and jet black in color. As he spoke, White Hawk also emerged from the oasis, placing himself next to Mako and nuzzled him with his snout for attention, which he most-heartedly obliged to.

The group looked around, settling their gaze on the officer, before he signaled them to detain them in that moment. As they did, White Hawk ran off, and Mako gripped the blanket he happened to have been carrying, one of the guards supplementing him with a parka to use for the time being. Bags went over their heads, and they were cuffed from behind, before being forced along into a cart to which they were chained. Tonraq assured Senna that he would figure out a way out of the situation. Mako was silent, looking to the sky and staring at the moon before he too received a bag over his head.

The night had passed, and the sun rose, warming the tribe, and giving refuge to those whom the night had affected so deeply. There was much clamor throughout the tribe regarding the break-in, the light show that had occurred, and especially talk of the moon and the rebirth of the Chiefess. The word of Mako had not emerged. Mako had been placed in a cell and shackled to a wall for high crimes against the spirits of the tribe, his hood still rested over his head. He occasionally heard voices from down the hallway, but never anything prevalent. He was brought in to be interrogated, and as he was sat down, his hood was removed.

"You are hereby being released from custody by the official pardon of the administrative council of the northern water tribe, whose decision today was attributed to the personal accounts of the supernatural events of the prior week and the testimony of Tenzin and Kya, son and daughter of avatar Aang," stated one as they released him from the cuffs that held him. Tonraq entered the room and handed him some clothing, as currently wore a set of clothes that the containment facility had provided for him.

They soon emerged from where he had been imprisoned prior and began to walk back to the residence. He and Mako walked silently and side-by-side.

"Do you have… questions?" Mako asked. Tonraq grabbed his shoulder per his usual gesture as they walked.

"I'm sure that I will with time, but for now, I would just like to look at you," he said. Mako grinned, "And I know the others will too. I can't tell you how lost I felt. We were all broken down when you… left," he said, shaking his head.

"There is a lot we have to talk about I guess," Mako said.

"It's not uncommon to see something supernatural in the water tribe, but this was something… different. It happened to us, and not someone else."

"Oh spirits!" Kya raised as she ran out to see him with Senna and Desna in tow. They had both been in pieces since the event except for Desna, who was still in a state of stoic shock. He stood and simply stared, stoic the same as he was witnessing the scene of the hospital room. He reached out to Mako and placed his hand on his chest, to gauge just if the image he perceived was apparition or hallucination.

"I saw you die," he told him, tilting his head confounded.

Mako simply said that it was a long story. Desna reached forth with a hug that took Mako by surprise, as he was never usually one to initiate any sort of physical contact, and even when he was involved by someone else's initiative, he often exhibited some level of discomfort with it. Mako patted him on the back, returning the embrace.

"It's good to see you again dude," Mako said. Desna released him so Senna could see as well.

Senna placed her hands on the sides of his face, bringing him down to her level and kissing him all over, holding him tightly as she wept lightly,

"I cannot tell you how my heart broke when I heard we had lost you," she said looking up to him, "I died, as if my own son had passed," she said.

"I'm here now Senna, I won't be leaving you anytime soon, I promise," he assured her. It took some time and convincing on Tonraq's part before Senna was willing to let him go.

"Where is Eska? Is she okay?" he asked. Everyone looked around shocked at one another, and his heart sank for a moment.

"She's fine! She's fine!" Kya assured him, "She's in bed upstairs. She hit the water pretty hard… but she made it out just fine!" she said awkwardly. He smiled and nodded at this. The others continued to look at each other as Kya winced slightly.

"How about we all go inside! Let's get everyone out of the cold air!" she said, herding everyone in.

Before they entered, Kya pulled the others aside as Mako quietly made his way upstairs,

"Listen, I know that this has all been really confusing, but I don't think either of them remember what happened. Before we try to tell them anything about it, we should give it time for this whole thing to blow over!" she pleaded. Everyone else nodded in agreement.

Mako inched open the door gently to find one of the servants sitting at her bedside. She was placed on an IV and was sleeping peacefully. He looked over to the servant who signed that it would be okay if he approached. He came over to her bedside where she laid, and he ran his hand through the new streak of familiar pure white in her hair.

"Yue," he mouthed. He noticed she was clutching the covers, and where she did so, frost was forming to his shock. He signed to the servant to come over and look, and she was taken aback, leaving to fetch another blanket. He placed his hand on the bed and breathed very deeply and slowly, and as he did so, spots of water formed, and steam arose from some parts of the bed. He placed his own hand on the bed to ensure that he would not burn her.

The frost once present on her clutched covers gradually faded, and her grip on them eased up substantially as she groaned and turned a bit in her bed. He leaned forward and quietly, sweetly kissed her on her head. He heard the door creak for a second and witnessed Kya and the servant having returned. Still leaned over the bed, she reached out and grabbed him, yanking him onto the bed with her. Kya and the servant both laughed and 'awwed' at the sight of him struggling with her grip, eventually resigning to removing his moccasins and joining her beneath the covers. Kya placed the blanket at the end of the bed and Mako gave her a motion of thanks before leaving.

As he settled neatly into the bed, she nuzzled against him; he wrapped his arms around her, and she basked in the warmth. They both slept for a few hours, as Mako surely hadn't slept more than a few hours since the incident.

His thoughts and the spooking noises of the prison had kept him up for those nights, thus he was exhausted. His head sank into one of her pillows and the softness of her bed took over. He never took too much notice of how pleasant her room had always smelled, as if her bed had been enriched with oils and spices. This was a contrast to the foul odors of the prison obviously. His eyes shut and he was soon in a tumultuous sleep with twitching and vivid dreams.

"Hey," said a voice as he woke with a bit of a jump. She assured him, placing her hand on his face, and placing a bowl of stew on the nightstand beside him, next to a pitcher of pure water.

"Sit up," she said, "You need to eat something before you go back to bed," she said to him.

"Oh, thank you," he said softly. With a bit of squirming he managed to temporarily free himself from her grasp to prevent himself from getting dehydrated.

He tasted the stew, and found it to be pleasant-smelling, sweet, and warm.

"My mother taught me to make that," she said softly, sitting on a stool near the end of the bed, "The recipe has been in my family for four generations, assuming I can keep the secret away from Tenzin," she grinned. Mako snickered as Eska stirred in her bed.

"I heard you'll be leaving soon," he said to her, setting the stew in his lap for a moment, "Do you know when?" he asked.

"Oh, I will be joining you two for the banquet in Republic City. I'll be leaving with Tenzin for the Western Air Temple the day after I think," she said to him, pointing to his bowl, directing him to keep eating.

She looks over to Eska, slightly rolled over with her hair fanned out and she smiles, placing her hand on Eska's leg. He soon finishes the meal.

"I've been meaning to thank you again for everything you've done. I don't deserve so much, but I appreciated how much you've given in these last few days," he said

"Always," she said, smiling deeply to him.

She takes the bowl she brought up and hugs him before returning downstairs. He looks over to Eska and returns to his rest next to her. As she feels his weight sink into the bed, she snuggles her way back into his chest, and he pulls the covers back over her, wrapping his top arm around her. She worked her hips past the curve of his abdomen, seating herself comfortably in the bend of his hips, and although he was still half-asleep, he was a bit thrown off by the gesture.

He fell again into a deep sleep, dreaming of brighter days, of Eska clad in a beautifully ornamented gown, her hair braided and embellished, donning a headpiece from water tribe tradition. The sun shined so brightly down on them in a grove where her coat remained slightly opened to reveal her delicate figure. He is brought forth, clad in her father's robes, his own hair braided, instead of in its usual top-knot form. He waited for her, facing the shaman, soon to be brother-in-law who looked to be with a deep satisfaction with the matter. The sun would set, and they would begin as the moon shined brightly above them, right down the center of the aisle.

They conjoined hands before the shaman who bound them together with complex knotwork, conjoining their forearms together only to be disjunct upon the consummation of the marriage. Her makeup would not run this time, or if it did, with certainty not for the same reason at all. Even the moon would look in adoration of the conjunction of the two souls that evening as they stepped into the oasis of spirits with Tui and La, and the pool became illuminated as the moon shone down upon it.

They would be given a palace of room for one another, all the freedom to satisfy their hearts for evenings to come. He would carry her on, holding fast to her. With his prowess, her painted face would most certainly run before the night would end.

He woke to her stirring within the bed, and as she rolled over to him, she saw him for a few moments, attempting to make sense of what she viewed.

"Mako?" she whispered, placing her hand on his face.

"Hey sweetie," he said to her, "I'm here." She looked at him in wide-eyed-awe of what had happened.

"Do you remember anything?" he asked, and she looked on, thinking for a moment.

"We…-We hit the lake-, it's all so hazy from there…" she said, "You saved me again? Your eye!"

"You saved me Eska," he told her as she took deep breaths.

"Don't worry about it, and don't think too much about it either," he told her, "You've been asleep for a few days now. We should get you to eat something soon, Kya made soup. Would you be okay with that?" She nodded to him, "Do you want me to bring it here, or do you want to go downstairs to see the others? She looked over to him for a second, eying the needle in her arm and the catheter.

"I'll ask Kya remove them if you want," he told her softly. She said nothing, but she leaned in to take him holding him tightly as their lips met.

"Stay with me, please." She begged him. He nodded, returning her to lie back on the bed.

"I-I will," he returned, nodding.

"I-… can't live without you… I am only alive when I am with you," she said to him, holding himself to her, "I feel so alive when you are here... I've never felt this warm," She said pouring herself out.

He looked at her as she spoke, simply listening, not speaking.

"I love you. How could I sit and watch you die?" she said, her voice breaking, "How could you do that to me?"

"I could never know for sure that you and this family were safe until I knew surely that he was gone,"

"I know I messed up running back in…" he said, "but I had to finish this, otherwise every moment of my life would be spent trying to look around every corner until I knew for certain that he wasn't there." She was silent, "It's my job to be worried about you this way, and I know it's not fair. It's not fair to you or me… I'm sorry, please don't hate me." She looked at him, "I know I keep saying that I will always be here, and after a while it starts to lose its meaning, but I mean it, Eska. Don't you know that I couldn't live without you?" He remained silent for a moment, as did she.

"I don't hate you, I couldn't If I tried," she said to him, "But Promise me you won't scare me like that again,"

He took her hand between his, "I promise…" he stood for a moment, "Let me go downstairs and tell the others you're awake, Desna has been hit pretty hard by all of this, and I want to make sure he gets to see you too." She nodded in response. He navigated over and set up a pillow for her to sit against the headboard and another to support her back. He then moved the blanket over her, covering her from her feet to her hips.

"Are you cold?" he asked, "Kya gave us another blanket to use, as you… kind of freeze over in your sleep."

"Wait, what?" she asked.

"When I came in to see you at first, you were holding onto your blanket tightly, and it was covered with frost. I took care of it and steamed out the bed a bit."

"That is certainly… unusual of me."

"I'll be back," he said.

Mako walked downstairs quietly to find the others conversing within the parlor. Mako made his way to Desna in the kitchen

"She's awake," Mako said to him, Desna sighed with relief.

"When's the last time you had water?" Mako asked.

"… I'm not sure," Desna responded.

"There is a pitcher up there on the nightstand that you should drink from, hers is on the end table," Mako said, "I don't want you passing out," he said, patting Desna on the shoulder.

Mako found his way into the parlor among the others, Tonraq, Senna, and Kya.

"There will be an emergency meeting tomorrow midmorning to discuss the remaining details of the insurrection and destruction of the courthouse," Tonraq told him.

"Should I tell her about it?"

"If she comes down to dinner this evening, we will tell her, if not, we will let her stay home," Tonraq responded.

"Are you two holding up okay?" he asked. Senna and Tonraq looked at each other.

"We will be alright for the time being." Mako nodded and returned upstairs, bringing a bowl of soup that Kya had made and setting it on the nightstand next to Eska.

Desna sat on Eska's side of the bed and Kya sat where Mako had laid before. Mako elected to sit at the end of the bed as Mako and Kya pressed her for the usual questions for a few moments. How she was feeling, if she needed anything, but she was most hesitant regarding questions of memory of the circumstances.

Mako elected to stay silent, allowing the others to have their time with her. She spoke softly and reluctantly in response to their many questions. When they were done, they proposed that she eat something prior to going back to sleep as it was nearly the evening.

She noted the bowl of soup that Mako had brought upstairs for her sake. As far as she knew, she felt healthy.

"Kya," Eska rose, "I feel well, do you think that you could remove…" she began. Kya looked at her and nodded.

"Of course sweetie," she smiled, "Gentlemen, if you would please give us the room," she said as Mako and Desna went downstairs together.

After some time, Kya followed carrying out the equipment with her in a biohazard bag, and Eska after her. She looked a bit lighter than usual, it may have been the lighting, and the alterations to her hair for that matter.

Senna served a dinner, Eska opting for the soup from earlier, while Mako was served fish with rice. He realized he hadn't eaten much since he… passed on… I guess?

Thinking about his prior being, he wondered curiously about what all had happened to his prior embodiment, did it disappear? did it dissipate to ashes or vapors? And then it occurred to him…

His eyes went wide while everyone indulged in the dinner, and he choked on some rice for a moment.

"Catch a bone from that fish son?" Tonraq asked.

"Oh, no It's not that, I just have something to talk about. Could we… talk after dinner?" Mako requested.

"Of course, I'd be happy to," he said as they all continued to eat well.

"What is the banquet supposed to be like?" Kya asked.

"Oh it's simply a big gathering of some pointless extravagance. It's supposed to foster international relations between the nations." Eska told her.

"It sounds fun if you ask me," Kya raised.

"I guess, I mean if you're into that sort of thing. For those more introvertedly inclined, it is often more work than it tends to be worth." Eska replied

"Well, who all is going to be there?" Senna asked.

"Oh, a lot of people from the fire nation, including the fire lord and her daughter. Korra and her girlfriend have submitted their invitations, as have Bolin and his girlfriend. The Beifong from Zaofu, a few families from the southern tribe, King Wu from the earth Kingdom, as well as Avatar Aang's family… and a number of other people I don't care to remember," Eska said.

"What do people do at a banquet?" Mako asked. Eska had looked over to him from her spot at the table.

"Have you never been to a ball or a promenade?" Desna asked.

"I don't think so, why?" Mako asked.

"Oh, it's just usual stuff, there will be a dinner and dancing between many of the world's leadership figures," Desna responded.

Dinner was soon concluded, and the table dispersed, and Tonraq pulled Mako aside

"Okay, so what was it you needed to talk about?" Tonraq asked.

"Do you know what happened to the clothes I was wearing in the hospital when everything went down?" Mako asked. Tonraq looked a little taken aback by the question, confused for a moment.

"Hmm," Tonraq thought, "As far as I know, they cut them off in the trauma room that you were in, why are you wanting to know?" Tonraq asked.

"The betrothal necklaces… they were in my pocket. I need to get to them before something happens to them!" Mako said.

"Could you… find a new one by chance?" he asked.

"… not this one. It was custom, I designed it and acted as a shop assistant in the evenings for a week to cover it. I helped make it and the materials are very rare," he said.

"Well son, as far as I know, the hospital should still be on lockdown, and probably hasn't been cleaned since then as the infrastructure is still unstable… If this necklace truly is worth it… your room was on the third floor, trauma OR."

"Alright," Mako said with a nod.

"Mako," Tonraq halted, stopping him before he left, "Listen, I don't know how much you remember of the incident, if at all… but you may be pretty shocked at what you find in that hospital," he said, lowering his voice.

"The scene itself… was pretty bad," Tonraq said. Mako thought for a moment.

"I'll be in and out," he said, "It has to be done." Tonraq nodded.

"You'll need to go in undercover and quietly. The Northern Water Tribe police have locked down the area tight, and you will have to jump through some hoops just to get close," Tonraq said, "and be careful not to let anyone know. We just got you back." Mako nodded, heading then upstairs to Eska's room.

Mako retrieved his bag from Eska's room and gathered his outfit from the night mission that he would don with mask and hood, strictly over his third eye to conceal his identity.

"What are you preparing for, dearest?" Eska inquired.

"Oh, I just have a mission for tonight. Infiltration and retrieval," Mako said.

"I don't want for you to leave," she said, "Not now." Mako paused his packing and stood up above her.

"I have something deeply personal that was left behind in the hospital, in my clothes. and I must get it soon, or they could demolish the hospital before I get there," he said, "If you like I can stay with you until you fall asleep," he said.

She groaned a moment, "I suppose this is satisfactory," she said.

Mako hugs her upon their agreement "I'm so glad you're okay," he told her, holding her tightly, "I love you," he said.

"I love you too," she groaned, the sound muffled from her face stuffed into his chest. He snickered at the sound of it.

before heading downstairs to help Senna with the dishes. He is gladly received by Senna and does a fair portion of the dishes before they complete the task together and have everything set in its right place. He turns from the kitchen counter to see Eska,

"Hey sweetie, is there anything I can get you?" he asked. She grabs him by the collar and drags him upstairs, Senna giggling at the sight of it.

"You will need your rest, and I will need you," she said as she opened the door, bringing him over to her bed, dragging him all the way into her bed, he looks up at her, being on all fours with one of her arms placed next to his head. She straddles him, just over his hips. She wears a white silk tunic at this point. She gently raises his shirt over his head and observes him the way she did as he bathed.

"How have you been emotionally?" he asked. She paused at the question…

"I don't know if I want to talk about that right now," she said to him, and he accepted this as it was. He looked her in the eye and focused his time and his energy on her. Her eyes always sparkled so prettily, and she had learned by now how to use this to her advantage. She grinned and made her way gracefully up his body, stopping to kiss his chest and neck. She gracefully rested her forehead on it, inhaling to take him in. She loved the intimate feel of his skin, and the aroma that she found to be uniquely his. He ran his hands through her thick, black hair, gently caressing her neck and face, and egging her on. She ran her own hands down the sides of him from his shoulders to his hips, eventually stopping to pin his arms down beneath her. He writhed a bit to get comfortable, but he didn't move much, he couldn't.

She smiled slyly, she derived a strange sense of excitement from being in such intimate control of his feelings, his body, and his emotions. She bit her lip for a second to decide where to move from here, there were so many options. She moved her hands gracefully down from his arms to his hips, where she felt the bones protrude from his pelvis, she noticed his… arousal and grinned amusedly. She strokes the inside of the protrusions and explores the area with pressure, navigating his hips, lower abdomen, and the obliques, massaging her way through. She stroked circles on the inside of the hip bones, and the hair on his body stood up and he tensed for a moment. His face was flushed red, and his breathing had sped up dramatically; she slithered her way up him again, placing her ear on his chest, listening to the pace as she stroked her hand horizontally along the lower abdomen.

"Are you enjoying yourself?" he asked nervously as they both laughed.

"Very much so," she said softly. There was a new, breathy, smoky tone to her voice. She had a way of speaking to him that he found exhilarating to listen to. She lunges up to his face, her body pressed against his, and his warmth was stimulating. She inhaled and raised her head as she motioned her hips into him, dragging herself upward. Mako's jaw slowly dropped; She curled in her lower lip and-…

Suddenly there was a knock at the door. Their eyes went wide, she reached over and threw a shirt at him.

"Answer the door!" she whispered. He donned his shirt just before he did so, answering to see Kya. She inquired if Mako had a moment. He looked over to Eska, who looked back at him with eyes that made his heart race,

"Wouldn't want to keep her waiting too long," he thought aloud, "But, I suppose I have a moment," he said stepping out with her.

"I don't want you going back into the hospital," she said immediately as the door shut.

"I know, its structurally unsound now, for what reason I can't say, but I should be able to make it in and out without being seen if I am careful. What is it that concerns you about this?"

"Mako, it's not about the hospital itself. Quite frankly, the hospital could stand to be torn down and rebuilt, but that's not the point."

"Well…- what is exactly?"

"Mako, do you not remember anything from there?"

Mako thought hard about his memories of the situation, "I can't say I have any memories after I pulled us out of that water. I remember throwing up some blood, but nothing after that."

She placed her hand on her forehead and the other on her hip,

"Are you okay? Why is the h-…" she covered his mouth.

"We need to have a talk…" she said, "… and Eska cannot hear about it." Mako nodded in agreement to her

"Meet me downstairs in the chamber, I'm going to get Desna and Tonraq."

"Okay," he nodded. Kya made her way downstairs and he opened the bedroom door to see Eska beside her bed with a concerned look on her face.

"Is everything well? It sounded rather serious." She remarked.

"It was rather serious," he approached her, "But I think everything should be okay." He sat down on the end stool at the footboard of her bed, and she sat next to him.

"I'm about to go downstairs for a conversation with Desna, Kya, and Tonraq about some stuff from the last few days, and I don't want you to worry about it."

"If I care about you then I will always worry about you," she said to him in return.

"I know, you're sweet like that," he said flirting with her and brushing her chin with his thumb, "I know these walls carry sounds everywhere, and I don't want you eavesdropping like I know you're capable."

She sighed exaggeratingly tilting her head and rolling her eyes to the ceiling, "I guess I'll just have stay up here all alone then with nobody to talk to."

"I'll be right back up sweetie, I promise."

"Be quick, or I'll go through your clothing and steal something," she said as he laughed and stood to pass through the door, "And you'll never get it back!" she said loudly as he descended the stairway. He reached the bottom of the steps, without slipping this time, and he turned to see Desna round the corner who took him by the wrist and led him to the chamber where everyone sat.

"Okay, so what is it that you wanted to talk about?" he asked them. They looked at each other and Kya spoke.

"Do you know about what happened at the hospital, why it's structurally messed-up?"

"I can't say, I thought it looked like some pretty sturdy architecture."

"It was one of the sturdiest pieces since the courthouse was built when I was your age," said Tonraq.

"When… you sort of-… Died," said Kya, hesitating, "Eska was in another room across the hospital, but she heard the intercom announce a code blue, and your room number. When this happened, she… sort of… came unhinged."

"What do you mean?" he asked.

"She got really bad… Really, really bad," Kya said to him. Senna grasped Tonraq's arm.

"I still don't understand."

"She heard that you died and Devastated the hospital trying to reach you, injuring a lot of people in the process." Said Desna. Kya and Tonraq looked at one another before returning a glance to Mako and nodding in agreement.

"Tonraq, himself, tore apart the room you were in out of his own grief," remarked Desna as Tonraq nodded with a disappointed look upon his face.

"That's not the beginning of what happened," continued Kya, "When she finally tore her way through several load-bearing walls to get to you, she got to your room, where she found your body on the table. Nobody was in the room at the time, and we weren't able to get back in; we ended up breaking the door down."

Mako nodded, listening intently.

"When we got inside, she shielded herself in a… sarcophagus?" she inquired as Desna and Tonraq nodded, "of ice, and within it," she continued.

"…She tried to kill herself with a piece of shattered ice."

Mako's heart sank listening to this as he sat back and breathed deeply as he nodded, acknowledging what he was hearing.

"We tried to break open the sarcophagus, but it was thick, and harder than any ice I've ever bent," said Tonraq out of the silence, "I managed to break off a piece of one of the icicles just as she was…" there was silence.

"The whole time, she was talking to you as if you were alive, I couldn't reach her with anything through the crack in the ice, and I had to resort to some… alternative methods." Tonraq looked deeply unsettled as she stated this.

"My mother taught me a long time ago about a skill that's illegal now… and I never thought I would have to use it." She said to him. He grew pale in the face, "I dislocated her shoulder so she would go unconscious so we could reach in to grab her, but when we did, something went horribly wrong." Desna stepped out, Mako standing to follow him, but Kya took his hand before he had a chance.

"The shard nicked her abdominal aorta… and it exploded," she said, "There was blood everywhere… and there wasn't anything we could do." Kya began to shed a few tears as she spoke. Senna offered a cloth for her, and she dabbed her face with it, thanking her.

"I just wanted you to know all of this, because if you go inside that hospital… It will look a lot worse than it sounds." Mako turned and stood, placing his hands behind his head; he was pale as a ghost by now.

"I'm pretty sure that she has lost all of her memories of it, I don't know why or how, but I know that if she reopens that…" there was a pronounced silence, "She could… come unhinged again. I mean, you've already seen what she is capable of."

"How? If she killed herself,-…"

"That part is complicated, more so than you realize," said Tonraq.

"When we were proceeding with your body to release you at sea, a woman showed up all dressed in shaman's gear," Kya said.

"What did she look like?"

"It was my mother," said Desna from the doorway, his voice breaking a bit. He made his way back down the hallway.

"She invoked the moon spirit, and invited her down, and her benevolence came to us."

"I saw her after I had left," he said, getting confused looks from everyone.

"I felt myself die after some jolts, and I saw my parents as if I were a baby," he said, "They were trying to get me to sleep." He remarked to her. "But, after that, I remember waking up in the spirit oasis, not in the physical world though. It was really dark where we were, and I saw her in the darkness." The others were on the edge of their seats.

"She told me her name was Yue, for the moon." The others gasped in awe.

"She told me that I died, and I remember falling apart, but she comforted me. She told me that she was grateful for me. When I told her about my promise to Eska, she said she already knew about it, and that I wouldn't be spending eternity without her."

There was a moment of awe as the others processed what was said.

"She brought me back, and I remember drowning in the pool of that world and sitting up from beneath the water beneath the koi fish in the spirit oasis."

"That's when she told me that you were alive, in the oasis, after I had set your body beneath the waters," Tonraq said aloud.

"What happened to Eska though?"

Kya looked to see Desna beside the doorway, "Her mother halted the procession and took her body, and set it in the fountain in the courtyard, and she told Desna goodbye," she said, "The waters were a foot deep, but she was pulled under, standing up. Yue summoned the mother of faces, who gave Eska a new body, transferring her memories, emotions, and mind over to the body that Malina gave for her." Mako looked over to Desna who was grief-stricken.

"Mako," said Kya, "Eska cannot know about any of this. I don't know if she has subconsciously suppressed the memories or if something about the event erased her memories, but either way, she cannot know." Mako nodded in response.

"I'm going to go to that hospital, I'll find the necklaces where I lost them and get out," he said to her standing up before them. The others nodded.

"Be safe and be cautious. We don't want you caught in the middle of a demolition or anything. The place is locked down tight, so you will need to get in through a window or something." Mako nodded in agreement, turning to the stairway.

"Mako," she said, Mako stopping and looking back to her, "We love you," she told him, standing as he turned in the doorway. Tonraq and Senna joined her, and he walked forward to embrace Kya, the other two joining in beside them, he sniffled for a few moments.

"I love you too," he said. After what felt like a minute, he released and turned to head upstairs to Eska.

She opened the door for him, he slipped through and he held her too, shedding a single tear in the process.

"Umm…-okay, okay." He held her tightly, "Is everything alright? I promise I won't actually steal anything," she said to him.

He laughed at what she said, "Oh, it's not that, it was just a really, really important conversation, and while we were talking, I just thought about how much I loved you."

She nodded, placing her head on his chest, "I love you too, my turtle-duck."

"It's late, you should get to bed soon," he told her.

"Then join me," she said, looking up at him. He nodded, and he picked her up just as he remembered carrying her in his dream. Her surprise was visible, and she blushed a moment as he carried her over to her side of the bed, placing her gently down. He made his way over to the other side, where he slipped beneath the covers, laying face up to the ceiling, his eyes still glistening.

"Come here my darling," she whispered. He looked over to her, and the silk robe she wore had been drawn down a bit to reveal herself. The moon shined through the window that night, and he made his way toward her slowly. She held him, pulling him close and bringing his head to her breast, where he listened to her heartbeat. She gently hummed a tune from her memories,

"Winter, Spring… Summer and Fall…" he fell deeply asleep.

He had no recollection of dreams or anything of the likes, all he knew is that when he woke, the sky was dark. He still rested upon her breast and pondered staying where he was, but remembering that the meeting would be tomorrow morning, he wanted to get back before the sun rose. He gently slipped out, slithering his way beneath the covers, and into his moccasins, donning his jacket, mask, and hood. He looked back over at her, sleeping peacefully. He stepped beside her on the bed, leaning over and kissing her silently.

"I'll be back before sunrise," he whispered. She groaned and adjusted in her sleep. He Grabbed a heavy nightstick from his pack and took a drink from the remaining water in the pitcher before heading down the stairs.

As he made his way down, he saw a shadow in the window of the kitchen... Desna.

He stood, staring straight out the window, upward to the moon, unmoving except for his breathing. Mako proceeded to head out the door before he stopped for a moment and turned back.

He quietly walked his way behind Desna, and placed his hand on his shoulder, which startled him for a second, but he looked over. His face was downtrodden and his countenance low. No words were said, he turned to Mako and wrapped his arms tightly around him, which Mako returned, patting him on the back. Desna's head reached up to Mako's chin, so his face rested against his chest, where Mako felt him breathing heavily against him, trembling a bit. It took several minutes, before he released and returned to the window where he stared outward before.

Mako stepped out the front door, donning his mask and hood. He jogged to hopefully generate a bit of warmth, as the rivers of the northern water tribe did not run through that part of town. He pinpointed where he needed to be from the top of a hill, seeing the hospital closed off on all sides, and patrolled with guards. He picked out a spot to blast over the containment wall and headed toward it. He timed the guards' patrol run and waited for the next one to pass before moving his way across the street popping over the wall without much noise. He hit the ground on the other side of the wall and tucked before rolling through.

He stood up to witness the haunting sight of the hospital, now derelict. It was five stories at most, and not very big at all, but it was nearest to the incident when everything had gone down. He found a ladder leading up to the rooftop, and started making his way up silently, and in the shadows where he could not be seen. He heard someone talking out loud behind him, and thinking he had been spotted, he picked up his tail and ran his way up the ladder hopping onto the roof, ducking before a spotlight came on to pan through the area. He would be charged with federal trespassing if he was caught, which is a felony in the capitol. He found the stairway and pulled the handle, locked.

He flexed two fingers and blue flame shot from them. He dug them between the door to cut through the latch, and yanked the door open, descending the metal ladder to the third floor. It was dark, and there was no heating, but at least there wasn't wind. It was quiet, too much for his liking, as it always made him feel like he was being watched.

He lit a small flame in his hands before throwing his on old eye patch and proceeded to try to find the stairwell. He walked through a few Departments, quarantine, Psychiatric, Neurologist, Urologist… everything was clear and quiet, but nothing had moved, as if it had all been abandoned on the spot. He heard a noise and looked behind him, ducking down and cutting the flame, raising the eye patch so his eye wouldn't take time to adjust. He bolted his head around, scanning the area, something felt off. He heard a door slam, and he stole into a nearby room, behind a door whose latch he propped open, so that the door wouldn't shut all the way.

"Hey! Whoever you are you shouldn't be here!" said a voice from the corridor. Mako remained silent, laying low with his back against the door. He heard the guard walk around the area, getting nervous as his footsteps passed by, but they moved on. He waited a moment, before peeking through the crack of the door. He looked both ways and found the stairwell at the other end of the corridor. He steadily made his way out, silently vaulting his way over a reception counter, crawling his way over before peaking both ways in the hallway and crossing over. He reached for the handle.

"Damn!" he whispered, looking around, he concentrated for a moment, gently breathing wind into the locking mechanism, and with the snap of his fingers, a loud pop noise startled him, and he unlatched the door, moving through before anyone could come to investigate, and shutting it from the other side.

If the hospital was haunting, the stairwell was a horror mover. He tried his best to make his way down silently, but the stairs reverberated every step of the way, so he booked his way to the third floor. He read the directory: Pediatric, Spinal, Traditional Healing… Trauma OR, that's where he needed to be. He heard the door to the fifth floor and steps moving down the stair well, and he silently opened the door and moved through, remembering to shut it nice and easy before booking it down the hallway. He ran and picked a room to hide out in and stole his way in.

He slouched against the door, removing his mask and hood for a moment, feeling a draft on his face. He was flustered, remembering the heating and ventilation had been turned off. He lit the room very gently, noting a massive crack in the wall he sat against… he followed it suspensefully. He was led to a massive hole, torn and reamed, lined with stalactites of sharpened ice…

"Eska," he whispered as an unsettling rush of wind came through the hole. He moved through the room, to find another hole of similar stature and embellishment, vaulting over what remained of the walls. He found himself in an airlock, a security lock, one door being locked and the other unlocked. He opened the other to find footprints tracked through the door, leading through the holes. He followed them back to their origin to find a room riddled with frost; shards of protruding, glasslike ice that emerged from all around, crumbling the walls. He entered the room, finding torn clothing thrown to the ground. He picked up the article of clothing, and examined it, finding it to be covered with blood and frost.

"This was her room…" he said aloud. He looked around the room for anything that was left, finding nothing, and decided to backtrack, finding his way to where he had been when he… died, sort of.

He stepped back into the security lock and hopped over the broken-down wall. He passed through one, two, three, four walls, all having holes torn in them, and the ice only got sharper and more terrifying, like dragons teeth as he progressed, nicking himself accidentally on a stalagmite. He cursed under his breath for a moment.

He passed finally into an antechamber, and he began to smell something foul. It was a familiar, metallic stench that he only could describe as smelling like death. He paused for a moment, having witnessed gnarly scenes before on his job as a detective, and he prepared himself psychologically. He stepped into the room, onto a floor that stuck to his moccasins. He tasted metal in his mouth from the scent in the air… This was his room.

He illuminated the room gently to find a horrifying scene. It was everywhere. There were boot prints leading to the door,

"Kya," he whispered aloud. At the center of the room rested a print, where a body once was, he could tell by the outline… two people kneeling around it. He looked away and covered his mouth, letting the room go dark again. He felt lightheaded. It was his job to look at the scene and envision what had happened within a particular moment, but this was different.

He tried to stop himself; he didn't want to see this, but his mind pictured her sprawled out on the floor, an icicle protruding from her abdomen, and his heart sank in his chest. He sat down in a chair in the corner of the room breathing heavily but silently. He saw morbid scenes like this on occasion on the job, but this was personal, and all the people he envisioned, had faces. These were faces of people he loved. He lit the room again, moving to the center of the room where the bed was, beneath the operating light, and there it was…

"Spirits…" he whispered. It was tragically beautiful to look at, so natural and crystalline, but horrifying, and the floor inside had been covered in blood. He crawled through the hole into the fortress and noticed the blood here was different. This was blood, and vomit, he could smell it so viscerally he nearly gagged, tasting the bile in the back of his throat, especially being he had just been sitting in it. This was his own work he admired. He held his breath and desperately looked around, finding rags on the other side of the trauma table.

He dug his way through them, still fresh and sticky with who knows what. He patted around inside of them, losing hope until finding a pocket. He unbuttoned it to find the two necklaces, albeit covered in blood and bile, and he quietly celebrated.

"Now to find my way out of here." He looked through a hole in the room and noticed the sun brightening the sky, it could be maybe an hour before the sun rose. Suddenly he heard a siren, much like an air raid siren.

"Aww, No way!" He ran out of the room and down the hall, stuffing the necklaces in his large pocket that he buttoned shut. He found the lobby and sprinted toward the front door. He felt something sounding viscerally from underneath the floor, and everything started to sink into a hole in the ground.

"No time!" he shouted removing his hood. He was breathing and gathering himself, "C'mon, let's go!" he shouted. His forehead sparked. He opened his eyes and deeply inhaled, hearing an audible "PFHEW!"

The whole security section suddenly flew across the street and Mako blasted his way out before the building collapsed. He tucked and rolled as he hit the street, running off as soon as he hit the ground. Guards saw him and pursued him. He made his way through an alley and blasted his way up, cat leaping to the side of a room where he ran along the rooftops from there up hill.

The guards had long since given in, as it was obviously someone above their pay grade anyway. He dropped back to the streets and ran his way, remembering his promise. He pulled out the necklaces, one of which had been in a few pieces, but he gathered them too. He ditched the outfit, throwing it in a dumpster on his way to the residence shuddering as he discarded them, and he dug his hands deep into the snow to wash them of any of what remained. He shuddered and cringed at the memory of the scene.

He made his way across the street to the front door and entered the parlor, where Kya, Tonraq and Senna had been waiting to his surprise.

"You went and did it didn't you?" she said.

"Yeah, I cut it kind of close with the demolition."

"Just glad you're okay; did you find the necklace?"

"Both of them."

"Both?"

"This is the one she originally made for me," he said holding it up, Velvet cords and the image of a purpled skull on the front.

"That's beautiful," she said standing, "You said she made that for you?"

"Hang on, you don't want to be near me now, I took my shoes off outside and ditched my other clothes in a dumpster," he told her, "Spirits, it was something straight out of a nightmare."

She nodded, "You should get rest, but a bath would be preferable beforehand."

"I would be happy to run you one if you wish," prompted Senna.

"Are you sure?" asked Mako.

"Absolutely, I'll get some clean clothes for you!"

He sat on the floor looking up to the ceiling and Kya sat next to him.

"Was it worth it?" she asked. He looked at the two necklaces.

"Oh yes."

Mako emerged, freshly bathed, having donned a hakama, a kimono robe and a sash across his waist, completing it by rendering his top knot once again. He noticed Senna beginning to work within the kitchen, and he proposed making breakfast this morning. Senna was reluctant, but eventually caved, allowing her the morning to relax. He worked with a close eye one everything, making a plentiful amount of rice, eggs with green onion, he chopped slices of sea prunes and sauteed, seasoned, and salted them like how they were served in the soup. He had everything plated and set before everyone knew, and then proceeded to put on a kettle for tea. Desna came down to witness the scene and his eyes went wide.

"This all smells wonderful; may I join you this morning?" asked Desna

"Well, I was planning on eating this all myself, but I suppose you could join," he returned, the two laughed at each other for a moment. Mako stepped into the parlor to invite the others before quietly making his way upstairs, gently knocking on the door. After a few moments, Eska opened it.

"I have made breakfast this morning, can I invite you down?" he asked quietly as she rubbed her eyes a bit.

She looked a bit surprised at the remark, but she smiled, "I'd be happy to join," she said.

She stepped out in a beautiful silk kimono, and the sun shined in on her; even in the mornings before she prepared herself, he was enthralled by her. He offered his hand as she made her way downstairs, blushing as she took it.

Everyone sat at the table as she made her way gracefully down the steps, she truly was the image of a princess here, and everyone looked as the two rounded the corner together.

"Thank you so much Mako, this is all wonderful," Senna remarked as he drew a chair for Eska. He sat next to her and invited everyone to partake.

"I'm happy to do this, I enjoy taking care of people," he said in response.

"You certainly do a great job of that too," Kya told him. They all enjoyed sweet conversations and people gradually finished all of what was left, him having served just the right amount. He happily took platters and returned with a set for tea with the kettle and served everyone who desired to partake in such as well. He looked Eska in the eye for a moment as he served her, and she smiled, happily and quaintly receiving what he had given her.

There was a pleasant quietness among them before Tonraq arose, proposing that every one of them prepare for the meeting to occur in an hour. Mako folded the clothing he had been lent, and donned his all-black uniform, fastening his hair in the topknot, however. Eska descended in her usual garb, her coat with the long sleeves and the moccasins she wore on a regular basis. Mako took the necklace from his bag, having thoroughly cleaned it, eventually deciding to replace the silk sash altogether. On the bright side, he found an adjustable one that would fit her for the years to come in the manner of her liking. He placed it within the pocket of his uniform shirt and headed back downstairs where then they proceeded out the door. It was sunny out, and Mako didn't have any trouble keeping up with the cold weather. They were on approach to the civil rally point, and Mako could feel the knots beginning to form within his shoulders and his neck as they approached, his breathing getting shallow and his scowl becoming intense.

Eska noted his discomfort and embraced his arm, walking close to him in sight of the administrative officials who observed their behavior, whispering as per their usual response to anything. She sniffled for a second, looking confused.

"Are you wearing a fragrance dearest?" she asked him.

"I am actually. I went to see an herbalist who specializes in fragrances to try my hand with them. Do you like it?" She smiled.

"I find it to be quite a pleasing aroma for you," she said with her brand of endearing monotony.

"I guess I could wear it more often then." They arrived, Mako escorting her to the chair in which she would sit for the time being. He sat next to her.

An announcer, the judge came on to address the board of administrators, and the chiefs themselves.

"Good morning," he began, addressing the public, "As you all know, the courthouse was destroyed in nothing less than an act of terrorism on the part of a cult dedicated to the rule of Chief Unalaq and his principles. A number of casualties were had on their part, as this could only be classified as a mass, ritualistic suicide." There were murmurs throughout the audience in horror of hearing all of this.

"There were a number of defectors who escaped prior to the destruction of the courthouse, and they are currently under custody of Northern Water Tribe authorities. All those detained have been thoroughly interrogated to weed out any further locations, suspects, or any other points of concern regarding the organization itself. All aforementioned locations have been probed, all further known members, detained, and all are awaiting trial by an official judge." There was some relief to the clamor among the audience

"We have already begun the process of construction of a new courthouse in place of the old, and the designs, land allotment, and further proceedings are being expedited as we speak, but the chances are that the facility will be up in no less than six months." There were groans among the administrators, who would likely have to meet at the rally point for further meetings.

"I would like, if such is permissible, to invite to the stand, Mako, the official Head of Royal Security of the Northern Water Tribe," the judge said, beckoning Mako to join him

"This young man has served his tribe gracefully since the day he arrived! His services include thwarting several assassination attempts, warding off numerous threats of explosives, saving countless lives in the process, taking on and fending off the efforts of a terrorist organization, and even giving his own life for the sake of his chiefess as was confirmed by medical professionals at the scene. We are thankful for the blessing of her benevolence that has come in the form of his life. May we credit him for a moment?" The audience erupted momentarily, even the board standing out of respect. He was unswayed.

"So may I ask, how is the new position treating you?" the chairman inquired, setting up a dual microphone for Mako to use.

"I have yet to begin my duties as associate chief, as there is orientation and training to come that I need to be run through, which has yet to begin, as most of the people involved in the orientation training were found to be involved with the terrorist organization. When the news of the activities of this organization emerged, it became my priority. Now that the organization has been subdued, I suspect it will be approximately two weeks before I begin my work as an official." The man nodded in response to him.

"How do you feel about having been voted into the position?"

"Well, I will admit, the position has made for a pretty complicated situation in my personal life as there are rules that don't allow the administrative board to fraternize…" He realized what he said after he said it, appearing nervous suddenly. There was murmuring throughout the audience.

"Well, may I ask who within the administrative board has your eye?" the judge teased. There was silence within the audience. He looks back to her, she breathes deeply, rising, and approaches the podium. Men and Women across the audience suddenly lit up.

"If I may speak, Chairman, due to him staying with me on a daily basis and us being closely involved in one another's personal lives… we have found a vast affection for one another." She addressed to the public. There were audible gasps within the crowd. "To me, he has been an exciting, warm presence of security and endearment in the time that I have employed him. I have never felt as personally open or vulnerable with anyone in my life as I have with Mako. It was within my intentions to seek to be married to him, but the proposition of the position came on so fast, and we knew that he would obtain it, knowing how competent, successful, and intelligent he can be, but it broke me to know that I couldn't seek after him any longer. He invited an alternative candidate to be elected, and we knew she would fit the position appropriately, but the public spoke, and so it shall be. At the current moment I am at a loss of words or thoughts as to our next course of action, but I am hoping that we will find a way for each other, as…" she said, "He and I both deeply love one another."

There was silence and nodding among the audience with reverence to the emotional nature of the matter. The judge nodded before approaching the administrative board. There was an exchange of whispers throughout them and the audience for that matter. The whisper arose to a clamor before the chairman raised his hand to a fist to silence both groups and returned to the podium to address the audience.

The judge spoke boldly from his gut "The board of administrators of the magistrate court of the Northern Water Tribe has always been unyielding when it addressed matters of political conflict of interest, including in the form of nepotism or unnecessary fraternization. However, due to the situation regarding Mako, the hero of the Northern Water Tribe, and Eska, our lady chiefess herself, and the supernatural circumstances that surround their presence among us, we firmly stand together in virtual consensus that it is acceptable for you both to be maritally involved with one another within your current positions. Let there be no other exceptions!" The judge slammed the gabble down to officiate the claim. The audience raised a massive cry in such an instant that it startled Mako where he stood for a second.

He looked over amid the event, and saw her, and this seemed to quiet everything down around the two, even though it was extremely loud for the moment. Mako walked soberly, and straight to her. He stood in front of her for a moment as her eyes glistened, and her tracked his way around her. Senna's hands went over her mouth and there was a slight lull in the noise the massive audience was producing. He produced the specially made and meticulously, vigorously… repeatedly… cleaned necklace. She gasped quietly when she felt it around her. He latched it around the back of her neck, adjusting it to her. She raised her hand to it and bawled, looking back at him, reaching up to bring him down to her and kiss him.

It was then that the audience became so rambunctious that it became a safety concern. Mako held her through it, her head against his chest. He looked over her head to see the family in absolute joy, Kya herself having been reduced to tears. Tonraq held Senna and smiled at him, nodding in sincere, fatherly approval. Desna just smiled through tears of his own. Eska was clearly trying her best not to cry as she didn't want for her makeup to run the way it has before. She worked hard to get herself so pretty to appear before the public.

At the point of a few minutes into the celebration the judge threw up his arms and happily dismissed the board, many of which came to congratulate them and wish them well. The family came over and gave hugs and kissed them all over, being so happy to see them finally at peace together.

Reporters from all over the world showed, flashing their cameras, and taking pictures of all sorts, asking questions of all sorts. Tonraq stepped in eventually and shooed them away, and eventually they gave in and headed back to their lair, or whatever evil place reporters and journalists crawl out from.

"Let me take you two out this afternoon," Tonraq said proudly embracing the young man, now engaged to his niece, and thus they headed to a fine dining restaurant where they ordered seal steaks and the likes. They may have spent half the time receiving congratulations from random strangers, but they enjoyed their time, nevertheless. Tonraq made sure to pay the bill in advance so none of the strangers could as much as they tried.

When they finally got home, they had dodged a whole city of people so happy for them, "Okay, let's just stay inside and have downtime for the remainder of the day… So many people," Kya said, shaking her head and flopping back on a couch in the parlor.

Eska and Mako went to pack everything they planned to take to the event in republic city.

"Pack light, we'll only be there a few days, and it's a lot warmer in Republic City than it is all the way up here," he said, and she obliges, throwing in the essentials, clothing, and such. Everything compactly placed into a duffel, while Mako has his compacted preliminarily, as packing tightly and minimally is something his job has always consisted of.

"Are you wanting for us to be in separate beds now?" asked Mako.

"What do you mean?" asked Eska.

"Well I've heard some people tend to do that-…"

"No…"

"Oh okay. We don-"

"No…"

"Well, what are you wanting to do with all this downtime we will have for this evening?"

"What do engaged people usually do?" she asked.

"Well-.."

"No…"

"You didn't even hear what I was going to say!" he laughed seating himself on the end-stool.

"No, but I have an idea of what it would have been!"

"I was going to say wedding pl-"

"No-…"

"… Wanna make out?"

"N-… That proposition sounds acceptable," she said sweetly altering her tone and looking off to the side while playing with her hair.

He walked over to where she sat on the bed and placed himself next to her. He pets his lap for a second, and he removed her moccasins for her, placing them to the side. She wrapped her hands around his neck and tilted her head for a moment before wrestling him onto the bed, straddling him while propping his arms down by his wrists. He humored her a bit by resisting a little which she quickly subdued.

"You're a lot stronger than you look," he said looking up at her.

"I perceive that to be something you enjoy," she said as he smiled in return, "I wonder where I should start with you. Perhaps I should check your suturing right quick."

"I don't have any," he said back to her, "Remember?" She tilted her head in agreement and dove in for his neck, digging into it with aggressive lips, she ran her right hand over the remainder of him as he started to liven up. He became so touch sensitive, she raised his shirt a bit and tickled him. He jumped, his whole body seizing, trying to cover that spot.

"No," he pointed smiling at her, "I can't do that, anything but that." She responded with nothing but a sly look. "Don't even thi-.." She wasn't benevolent enough to let him finish his sentence. She derived something from watching him squirm; it was a not-so-guilty pleasure she expressed. There was a knock on the door, and she kicked him off the bed.

"Go answer it," she said.

"At once my princess." He opened the door to see Kya.

"Fooling around this early in the engagement?" she teased, Mako smiling and shaking his head at her remark, "I came up to tell you that early tomorrow morning is when we will depart for Republic City, we will be leaving on a future industries airship that should take us for a six-hour flight. It will be a bit of a ride, but we will get to see quite a bit on the ride over there."

"That sounds excellent, I remember being on one of those airships when we toured around looking for airbenders a few years ago. It was always a really buoyant-feeling ride."

"Come back and let me torment you," Eska groaned as she laid with her face half pressed into the bed.

"Sounds like your fiancée is calling, I'll leave you to it." She said to him. He nodded thanking her for the details. He shut the door and returned to her bed.

"How do you think we will sleep at night knowing all of this election stuff is over?"

"Probably about the same. I sleep remarkably better when I am with you. You are a human space heater."

"I can understand that," he said, hovering over her.

He kissed her gently, but she pulled him into her to be more aggressive, pressing into him, getting the slyest idea. They had long since opened their mouths to one another, but as he came in for another stroke of her lips, she darted her tongue strategically back to hook his, which shocked him so that he sat up. She gave him a lusty look; she had a way with batting her eyes and being manipulative. She wrapped her legs around him and drew him inward by the collar, slipping another stroke of her tongue as soon as their faces met, and she moaned gently. He reached with his hands to grab her by the waist and take her in even further. They unlatched their tongues for a split second, which he used to navigate to her throat and her neck. She moaned gently when he reached the soft spot, stimulating it with his lips, lightly suctioning it to tease her.

"Don't do that, you'll give me a mark, and then we will have to explain it to everyone."

"Kya will probably tease you about it too… best get you one for the other side, just to be symmetrical." She began to argue, but as he did so, the hair across her body stood up on its end and she felt electricity rush through her and she smiled deeply, biting her lower lip so she wouldn't groan aloud. She pulled his head past her shoulder and his body down to her,

"I love you," she said to him softly as his head rest beside her on the bed.

"I love you too, Eska." She gracefully stroked her hand up and down his back, sensing tension and hesitancy in the lumbar curve. She stroked the area with a circular motion, and suddenly stopped, electing instead to draw him into her. Her legs entrapped him, and she began undoing his shirt. His face began to turn a bit red with all the newness of this. She parted his shirt down the middle and caressed his body, dragging her nails gently around. She looked to see that the curtains were closed on the door, Mako noticed the opening, and he stepped away to close it. She laid out on the bed, her arms stretched out over her head and gave him a side eye, inviting him to join her. As he tried to position himself over her, she threw a graceful reversal. She was on top, with his arms pinned over his head.

"I suppose if we are being fair to one another," she said, dragging her hands across his body, and back to herself, "I could show you a side of me as well." He looked so nervous in that moment, and she loved seeing this of him. She adored when he was nervous or taken off guard.

"Wait, what do you-.." she hushed him, taking his hand, and leading it to where her tunic buttoned together.

"No one has to know" she said, directing his hand to remove the top button.

"It can be our little secret," the second gives, there are only four…

"Are-are yo-,"

"I'm certain Mako, don't you dare question me on this" she spoke, softly and sweetly. She directed his hands to the fourth, and coming undone, she removed her arms from the sleeves holding the front of the tunic together to not spoil the surprise of it all. She still wore a pair of leggings beneath her tunic, which clung to her hips flatteringly.

She leaned forward, placing her ear to his chest once more. She smiled, finding a satisfaction in the connection she felt with it, how she could make it go faster at her will. She sat back up and gave him a flirty glance before completely parting her tunic before him. His body began to tremble as she continued flaunting herself for the man she loved. She toyed with them, gently fidgeting with them, leaning forward again, ensuring that they pressed against him. She returned to listen to his heartbeat and his breath speed up in a graceful accelerando. She took his hands and guided them to explore, they shook as he did so, and she adored this. She kissed him, using her tongue to interact with his.

The way she had him, could only be described as putty, in her hands, wrapped around her finger, between her teeth… She placed her hands pressing down on his wrists over his head. She drew her lower back into him as she had before, gently grinding her way over him. He was in shock, watching it all go down. He was a nervous wreck.

"It's a shame I can't take you there now. Wouldn't want to spoil our big night," she said, teasing him into laughter.

"Y-You look amazing," he said softly to her.

"You'll see more of me if you keep being such a good boy, and while I can't take us all the way there," she said setting down on where she noticed the trousers of his uniform house him.

"I think I can see to at least appeasing you for all I've put you through in the last hour,"

"Wait you don't mean-," she deliberately worked her way back and forth until his head rolled back His mouth open to quietly gasp but he stopped any noise from emerging

"Hush now," she whispered, "It's our little secret, remember?" he only nodded briefly in response. She placed a pillow over his head before continuing until he gripped the sheets, feeling him throbbing and pulsing beneath her, and she continued from there, slowly.

"Come here my turtle-duck," she said as he rolled over, placing his head on her bare chest, now beating from the entertainment she received from it all. She smiled and stroked his hair softly as his breath caught up with him. She did this for a minute before sparking a kerosene lamp, as it had been dark without the curtains, and in the dim light, she hummed the tune from earlier, and he squirmed a bit,

"I have to go-"

"In just a moment, let me have you for now," she said to him, calmly stroking his hair until he began to unwittingly doze off.

As he dozed, he did not dream, he slept peacefully without so much regard for waking, however, it was still the middle of the afternoon.

She gently brushed his face to wake him where he looked up at her.

"You can use my bathroom to clean up, I'll fetch you a washcloth and some clothes," she said to him as he pondered whether such a thing had just happened. He certainly didn't feel bad, but the whole thing felt surreal. She donned her tunic and exited the room briefly.

He cleaned up in the bathroom and folded the clothing out of which he had just changed. He sat against the bathroom wall until she returned, and when she did, she placed his hakama and kimono which he had worn earlier. His hair had deviated from the topknot from all the stirring around in the bed. He removed it and allowed his hair to run down. He clothed himself and emerged from the bathroom with everything of his folded, and Eska placed his previous laundry with her own to be washed later.

She approached him after everything had been done with, and she smiled up at him.

"How are you feeling?" she asked softly.

"I am feeling pretty great actually. That was… amazing."

"I had it in mind that you could have used something along those lines to help you take the edge off after the stress of the prior few weeks."

"That… that I could agree with you on."

"Perhaps we could join the others downstairs," she spoke.

"I think that would be wonderful," he told her. He noticed something different about her figure, her silhouette was subtly different.

They descended to meet the others in the parlor, many of which were gathered around the hearth at the time, and they welcomed them down, inviting them to join. Eska had a hold on Mako's arm as they made it to the bottom of the stairs.

They talked back and forth for the evening as Mako supplemented the warmth of the fire with his presence, the others moving closer to the warmth he emanated.

"Mako," Senna spoke, "Tonraq has been called to return to the position of chief of the Southern Water Tribe from his sabbatical, and I know it's so soon, and that we won't be able to attend the banquet, but we are planning on leaving tomorrow morning by boat," she remarked softly. He thought for a moment, taking time to make his response.

"This family has been a gift. I can't remember a lot about my father or mother; they died when I was eight, and Bolin and I were left on the streets. It means a lot to me that you care, and I think of you as family as well. Eska and I will make sure to pay a visit down south on a frequent enough occasion, I owe you that."

"We will always be open to having you," said Tonraq.

"For as long as I live, I will always have a place for you in this warmth that I give," he said to them; the remark was lighthearted but resonated deeply within the others.

"When is the wedding date do you know?" asked Kya. Eska and Mako looked at one another,

"I don't believe we thought this far ahead honestly. We will make sure to send out letters to everyone once we pin down a date," he said as Eska nodded in agreement, "We will make sure everyone that wants to be there will have the opportunity."

"Well, is there anything you would like to do before you leave?" inquired Eska. They thought for a moment.

"I think we may have done quite enough these past few weeks, but thank you," Tonraq responded.

"That is certainly true, we could stand to see a bed early this evening with regards to our morning departure," Eska said this, wrapping her hands around Mako's arm, which sent chills up his spine. Kya noticed for a moment and bit her lip to prevent a smirk.

"We could all use a good rest after all that has gone on. I think I will do just that in a few minutes," said Kya, and There was consensus with regards to that idea.

"You especially," Eska said aloud prodding Mako with her elbow.

"Wait, Me?"

"Yes, you! You've been up since one in the morning and have had very little sleep in this last week."

"Even cops need sleep Mako," Kya teased him as he snickered at the remark.

"What? No way! What is sleep even?" he remarked as the others briefly laughed at his remark. The conversation had grown quiet, and it was maybe the seventh hour of the evening by the time anyone had pulled themselves away. They all sat, simply staring at the fire, and enjoying being around one another, not needing to talk about anything. Kya and Eska both snuggled up to Mako, being the human space heater Eska claimed he was, not that he minded though. He loved being close to people. Soon enough the three of them had dozed off, Mako with his back against a heavy ottoman rest, with Eska to his left and Kya to his right. Tonraq and Senna decided to go upstairs and rest themselves according to everyone's prior plan, and Desna had long since been asleep after his meditation.

Soon enough he felt Eska gently stroke his face. It was dark by then, and Kya was still asleep, resting her head in his lap. Eska said that she would meet him upstairs in a few minutes. He breathed deeply for a few seconds, making a personal effort not to fall asleep again, and he looked down to Kya before scooping her up. He brought her to the guest room which Desna had offered to her and Tenzin as they stayed, and he laid her out on the bed, drawing the blanket over her, and gently shutting the door. He returned upstairs where Eska waited for him with the door slightly ajar, and he entered to witness her already having donned a light-blue silk kimono robe, long, elegant, and slightly translucent.

"How many robes like that do you have?" he asked.

"No questions, join me in the bed," she said with her eyes already half closed, gliding her way over to the bed and working her way beneath the covers.

He joined next to her, a pitcher of water from what Eska had brought in earlier placed on the nightstand next to him. He turned to find Eska had closed any distance between them. She worked her way behind him, wrapping her arm around his waist and pulling him into her. He could feel her breath down his back. She brought his head back to her chest where he comfortably nuzzled, feeling himself drifting away.

Chapter 6: VI: The Dawn Star

Notes:

"I would like to preface this chapter by announcing that there will be references to some actual older music from half a century ago, and as far as I recall, all of these works are only referenced by a few lines, and because of the personal nature of the work, I believe such qualifies as fair-use, however I will also preface the matter by explicitly stating that I do not own these works of music! Thank you" -Sean A.

Chapter Text

Part VI:

The next day was a foggy morning, cool and crisp, but wind was scarce. He had packed and had dressed within his water tribe robes that Eska had fitted him for. That morning she had him sit at her feet as she removed his hair from the top knot and braided it down the center. He found this to be more manageable personally, and it strained his head less, so he would be less likely to have headaches by the end of the day. They had readied themselves at the harbor, now awaiting the arrival of the boat on which Senna and Tonraq were supposed to board.

Senna approached Mako quaintly, "Hey sweetie, I know you still don't sleep very well, and we do want you to know we care about you; We would like for you to have this," she said, gifting him with the talisman that she had hung over his head times before.

He took it "Thank you… Senna," he said, holding her as the ship pulled into the harbor. Tonraq hugged him tight and patted him solidly on the back.

"Look after my niece and nephew. They need you," he told him, turning, and boarding the vessel. They watched the boat leave until it passed over the horizon. Mako clutched the dream catcher, feeling a sense of closure and peace within his heart. Eska held his arm and placed her head upon his shoulder as they looked out beyond the pier.

They witnessed the silhouette of the zeppelin emerge from the vast, foggy sky and make its audible presence known.

"Are you going to be okay flying?" he asked, teasing her just a bit.

"I should be, I just have trouble riding around on a sky buffalo with no wings or seatbelts or harnesses and an open top saddle is all."

"I'll take you out on the observation deck, I think you will love the view, and they said that we will have a six-to-eight-hour flight, so we will get to see quite a few views on our way."

"I don't know if I'm fond of that idea," said Eska looking unsure.

"Are you two ready?" asked Kya, "Tenzin should already be there waiting for us, and the weather is looking surprisingly clear between us and Republic City so it will be a smooth flight."

"I've always enjoyed these airships. Asami's company really does produce some impressive machines."

"We're flying in an airship manufactured by your ex-girlfriend?" Eska teased as Mako laughed a bit nervously. The ship docked and awaited its passengers, as well as a few engineers and executives who had also visited the tribe. A host took them to a personal room, much resembling the feel of a hotel room.

"Wow, I've never known what it was like to fly first class."

"Keep being a good husband and we can arrange it on occasion," she responded playfully. At the end of the single-bedded room was a large window angled downward by 45 degrees, allotting a stunning view of the scenery. Suddenly, a buzzer sounds in the room and in the lobby. It startles Eska.

"Oh, don't worry about that dear, it's just the takeoff signal I promise," he said as she took his hand, standing by the bed for a moment. The airship gave a lurch, and she lost her footing suddenly. Mako reached out from the bed and caught her, and she blushed gently as he held her, bringing her over to the bed.

"It's not an hour into the morning and you've already saved me again," she said, smirking at him and pressing him to the bed, "I'll have to repay you somehow." He grinned at this remark.

"Oh, I'm afraid I don't take credit."

"I'll just have to see that it's paid in full then," she said, walking over and closing the door to their personal room.

A few intimate hours pass, and they found themselves clear of the fog. There was slight turbulence at one point which had bothered Eska a bit, but a few kisses in, she began to snap out of it. They rolled around, wrestling each other at one point until Mako managed to pin her with her arms over her head, and she gave a sensual look. He snickered at her audacity and kissed her neck.

"I meant what I said, you're going to give me a mark," she said, tickled by his lips.

"Well, do you have any foundation to put over it?" he asked.

"I do, but I'm not certain how well it lasts in higher than arctic temperatures."

"Well, then I'll just find somewhere else to put marks on you." He kissed her all over and she giggled. He sat back over her and looked at her as he interlocked his hands over his head.

"Let me see those eyes," he said to her.

"No," she told him turning her head and shutting them. He leaned forward and nibbled her earlobe to her surprise. She yipped and he burst out laughing in response. She started struggling and rolled him off her, and then he was pinned, and she reached up and brushed his ribcage lightly with her fingers. He laughed uncontrollably, trying to contain the noise. She stopped and leaned into him slowly, making sure to pin down his own wrists so he couldn't retaliate.

"Do you see them now?" she said looking down over him. She leaned forward and kissed him, immediately inviting the interaction of his tongue with hers.

"If you try to tickle me again," she told him as her mouth was half-intertwined with his, "I will bite your tongue." He didn't tempt fate, or her for that matter. He very gently locked her lower lip with his teeth, and she groaned with intrigue. She fell over to the side, just beneath his arm, and snuggled against him. He altered the angle of his body, to be in line with the bed. The buoyancy, that is the gentle bob of the ship within the air, lulled them for a brief nap to make up for their early awakening in the morning, she listened to his breathing slow down, and become more graduated.

They slept for half an hour, enjoying the rock of the airship within the sky, until they heard a knock on the door which startled Mako, who then stood, sliding his arm gently from beneath Eska's head, who was barely awake and less than willing to lift her head from his arm. When he opened the door, Kya was present, mentioning that the observation deck had just opened, and that lunch would be served within the hour. Mako thanked her. She looked over and witnessed Eska sleeping and looked as if she fell in love with the sight itself tightly embracing Mako.

"I'm so happy for you!" she spoke.

"I owe this to you, you know; I can't imagine what would've happened had you not been there when you were."

"Oh, but that's how I know you were meant to be together. Destiny has a wonderful way with things that seem like coincidence, but really aren't, and I think the way that everything has turned out for you two, your story, has been so beautiful, and I wish you two a wonderful, happy life!" she said, her voice breaking as she did. He was silent for a moment.

"I'm sorry I get so emotional around these things, but I care about you both so much, and I just want for you to know that."

"We love you Kya," he said, "If there is anything you could ever need, I will never be too busy or too far away."

She smiled, "I might take you up on that!" and she strolled on into the lobby. He shut the door and turned to see her, nuzzled into a pillow on the bed. He smiled at her and walked over to sit next to her and gaze through the window. The fog gradually cleared, and he could see the ocean for miles, far below where they flew in the sky. He laid down into his previous position, and Eska herself took the personal liberty of moving his arm into the place which it had been prior to getting up, wrapping her arms around him, and raising a leg.

Mako stood out on the front of the observation deck, the wind flowing through his hair. His hair was once braided, but he removed the ties and placed them around his wrist. He simply stood as the wind flowed. It was by no means overwhelming, as the front of the airship did an excellent job of breaking the air so that the zeppelin could move efficiently. He marveled at how vast the sea was. He had always known what it looked like, but looking out to the horizon from this height, he could nearly surmise the curvature of the world itself. He looked back to see Eska, neither of them had eaten just yet.

He turned from the front railing and walked to where she stood.

"You should come look, I think you'd love the sight,"

"I am capable of perceiving it from here Mako," she said resisting the idea of going near the barrier. He took her hand and gently led her. She exhibited some discomfort.

"I have you, I promise," he said to her. They stepped near the barrier where she marveled all that was beyond them, as she had done on a bison not long ago. He wrapped his arms around her waist and gently embraced her from behind.

"Don't,"

"I'm not trying to throw you over, I promise! It's just a hug, no joke." He snickered a bit before reassuring her, taking her hands as he did so. The wind blew through her hair like it had never done before. She removed her hair band and gently held out one of her arms to feel the wind broken by the barrier.

"All my life, and I've never seen it this way before," she said to him.

"Well, stick with me, and we will make sure you see it on occasion," he said, earning a slight grin from her. She closed her eyes and breathed in the cool, thin air. They had flown at least a few hours out from the North Pole, where it wasn't nearly as cold as it had been before. They came upon some clouds, and she waved her hands, siphoning it until she had her own water to work with. She smiled in fascination, like a child at a bird.

"I've never done this before!" she said, excitedly siphoning more, funneling it into the waterskin she had taken with her; She drew the cloud from its place in the sky, performing a routine of steam in place of water.

"I've always wondered what airbending would feel like, working with something that doesn't fall to the ground when you cease to maintain it. It feels so… liberated and weightless."

"You've never worked with steam before?" he asked her, observing her manipulation of the vapors into complex patterns and shapes to embellish her forms.

"Well, I have tried, but in the cold, it would always condense as soon as I tried to work with it. I eventually gave up the idea of it."

"How often have you been out of the arctic?"

"I have only recently begun to navigate any part of the world outside my homeland. I've never seized the opportunity to go beyond."

"We could arrange that you see the world a bit more often perhaps. I'd love to show you around a lot of places."

"What is there to see that I haven't already seen?" she asked turning her attention from her routine.

"I think you would be surprised honestly."

"It would certainly make things less tedious running the tribe to get out more often," she said, lowering her hands.

"Perhaps now would be good time have lunch. I promise there will be more clouds between here and there," he suggested to her.

"I suppose we could," she responded.

They walked inside together and witnessed Desna observing the outside from within through a large window.

"The view is more enjoyable from the outside, I promise," Mako said, fixing his wind-swept hair into managedness.

"It's been so long since I've seen her like that," he said quietly, continuing to stare out the window, "She used to be like that all the time when we were children."

"Like what do you mean?"

"Like she was when she bent the cloud. She was a curious child who liked to play and explore. The look on her face reminded me of what she was like then."

"It is endearing to see her be excited over something. I think it's that way with a lot of people."

"I have never her seen her as animated as she is when she is with you, and I have an appreciation for that."

"I hope I can continue to get her to open up a little bit. I won't pry her, but I'm curious to see what she's like without any stifle."

"Give it time and she will feel more comfortable." There was a pause in the conversation that they spent looking out over the sea.

"I'd love to show you two around the city Desna, we can hit some different spots that I think you'll both enjoy pretty thoroughly."

"That sounds nice actually… Thank you for looking after her… It means a lot to me."

"… Always… You should join us for lunch soon, I noticed you didn't eat breakfast."

"I will soon enough, if you will just give me a few minutes," Desna said, still fixated on the view outside of the window. Mako left to follow Eska into the Lobby where a light lunch was served. Desna did join them after some time, and the four ate together, enjoying all that was served, although due to the altitude, their sense of taste was skewed.

The afternoon came, and the lobby was quiet, and empty, as all the people within had returned to their personal rooms to rest for a while. Mako and Eska napped together within their room as Desna and Kya remained in theirs, Desna continuing to stare out the window from a chair as Kya rested on the bed. Desna fell asleep, his head hanging in front of him. Kya noticed as she rolled over, facing that direction.

She stepped over to wake him gently, leading him to nap on the bed next to her, lest he strain his neck. She covered him with a blanket, and he rested there in a deep sleep, having not effectively slept for the last few days.

In an hour the intercom announced their arrival to the earth kingdom mainland and would arrive in republic city in two hours. Mako was reluctant to move from the bed.

Soon, they were in United Republic airspace and the three of them waited out on the balcony for the sight of the city soon to come, after coaxing Desna to come out onto the deck. The two twins were fascinated with the sight, Eska even going as far as the railing to view the mountains between which they flew. The image of something so massive and natural simply confounded them.

"Down in the Southern part of the Earth Kingdom, the city of Zaofu sits in between mountains just like these. I should take you there too," said Mako, and Eska nodded as she gazed at the incline that they approached. Soon enough they called everyone inside so that they could dodge the mountains without running the risk of someone being thrown overboard.

When they arrived, they were brought to a landing platform before being effortlessly placed on the ground. Everyone gathered what they had packed before and headed toward the front of the airship where they departed from the ramp. A taxi had been prearranged to meet them at the landing, and the four of them boarded into a coach with a luxurious cabin.

"This coach rides the smoothest I think I've ever felt," Mako said aloud.

"I know right!" the driver responded, "I bought this wagon, renovated it, and had the suspension modified so it rides extra nice." The driver had a thick, regional accent.

"Sounds like you could make some pretty good money driving people around in style like this."

"Oh yeah, I used to work for the triple threats until they gave me the boot. I went to drive a taxi for a year and bought this old junker, and had it fixed up real nice by some old pals. Now I get hired by them all the time; you make a lot of money just driving these high profile folks around."

"I used to be triple threat myself; did a lot of dirty work for them growing up."

"Wait," the driver pulled to the side and broke to the groups surprise, "Mako?"

"Shin?! Is this what you're doing now?"

"Oh yeah! Where you been buddy? I haven't seen you around in a good two or three years now!" he said resuming the coach.

"Oh, I've been getting around. They put me on to look after Prince Wu for a little while."

"He's the little earth kingdom kid in't he?"

"Yeah, that's the one, after that I went back to being a detective, until they pulled me off of the force."

"Why in the- HEY LADY I'M TRYNA -*Honk*- DRIVE HERE- wh-What was I saying? Oh yeah! Why would they take someone like you off the force? I mean, we had some reservations about you growing up and bein' a cop and all, but we always knew you were a damn good cop!"

"Eh, something came up. After that I moved out of Republic City and got work doing security stuff for Fire Nation Royalty, and then I moved from there to the Northern Water Tribe, which is where I do work currently."

"Oh nice! High profile stuff man, I'm proud of you! Is that who all is back there?"

"Yeah, this is Eska, my fiancée"

"Whoa! You're gettin' hitched too? Man that's great! And to royalty? That's crazy!"

"Things have been treating me pretty well recently," Mako said, taking Eska's hand.

They soon arrived at the hotel in which they had reserved a split suite. Mako walked to the driver's window and shook his hand.

"Good luck with the business Shin! It's good to see you doing pretty well."

"It's good to see you too man! You look after you girl now!" said Shin driving away grinning.

"He's a guy I knew growing up."

"Dirty work was it?" she said, smirking.

"Eh, when Bolin and I were on the streets we had to get by, and nobody wanted to hire a couple of kids, so I found work with a couple of crime rings within the city that fixed us up alright."

"It amazes me how well you've turned out in spite of all that," said Kya as they walked into the front lobby of the four elements hotel.

"Well, it taught me a lot about how people work. Doing work like that keeps you humble and teaches you about the real world. I like to think that a lot of my success bein' a cop came from that, but runnin' into Korra I think is when thinks took off for Me and Bolin"

"Your accent is emerging," remarked Eska.

"Probably, bein' around Shen always did that to me."

A band played Dixieland music in the corner of the carpeted lobby. The collective improvisation over the turnarounds didn't reverberate off the walls like you would expect, but the sound was condensed and clear. Eska tilted her head hearing this.

"I've only occasionally heard music like this on a radio, but to hear it in person is so, different," remarked Desna.

"I've always loved a good jazz band; if we decide to go walking around the city I'll bet we see a few of them on the streets," Mako responded.

"Wait, they just play on the streets?" inquired Eska.

"Well, yeah. Have performers never done that in the Water Tribe?"

"It's illegal in the Northern Water Tribe," said Desna.

"Oh, probably because the sound carries differently, and I know there are a lot of cultural things that go into that as well."

They arrived at their room on the seventh floor. Mako hadn't been this high up in a hotel since he was Wu's official bodyguard. They entered the suite and unlatched the center door.

"How about Eska and I stay in this room while you two boys stay in the other?"

"That sounds proper certainly," Desna remarked, and Mako agreed. He and Eska would have to bear sleeping in beds separate from one another. Mako distributed keys to each individual and proposed some free time for everyone to roam the city. Kya offered to take Desna around to places that she knew of throughout the city, which he happily accepted.

"Are you content with doing a good amount of walking? I don't want you to hurt at the end of the day.

"I feel content wearing these," she said gesturing to the moccasins, "and I have walked many miles of ice within them before." Mako nodded.

"Well, is there anywhere you'd like to go in particular?" Mako asked.

She smiled, "Take me to see your family, my turtle-duck," she told him. He smiled and offered his arm as they left the hotel for the apartment building in which his grandmother now lived.

As he entered the lobby he saw familiar figures emerge from around the corner, and what happened next felt as if it had in slow motion.

Bolin, startled by Mako… and Eska… screamed and jumped comically, as if a scared pup, only to be caught by Opal who gasped and waved, briefly dropping Bolin.

"Mako! It's so good to see you!" she said as Bolin ran and threw himself at his older brother. Mako hugged him back,

"I missed you buddy," Mako said to him.

"I missed you too man!" they took a moment before they separated. Bolin broke into a cold sweat for a moment, scratching the back of his head.

"Hey… Eska! What brings you here?"

"I am with Mako, he is my bodyguard, and we have come to attend the annual international banquet to be set in the ballroom of the hotel."

"Oh, okay, so.. I guess you'll be coming with us then! She's actually on the fifth floor, so we will take the elevator!" he said gesturing in the other direction.

"How've you been Opal?" he asked.

"Oh, you know, nothing much. Lots of travelling and service work. Usual airbender stuff I guess." They navigated the elevator and reached the floor on which they were to see their family.

"Oh, I've been meaning to ask you. Are you doing okay in that outfit? I know we are coming from the North pole so it will be hot for you already, but your clothing seems like it would be really warm," he said to her.

"Currently I suppose I am having a little trouble with the change in climate, but I am unsure of what to do with my overcoat."

"Hand it to me, and I will carry it for you."

"Are you certain it won't be any trouble for you?"

"Absolutely, no trouble at all," he said as she removed her coat revealing a thin fabric tunic beneath. She looked relieved, but she folded her arms as she walked, still forward postured without the jacket.

"Here we are!" said Bolin, unlocking the door and entering to see his grandmother placed on the couch. She teared up when she saw him, and he walked inside to greet her.

"Mako dear, I'm so happy to see you, come here!" said Yin as she walked to the door. She looked healthier, and it seemed that her joints felt better. She hugged him tightly with her head against his chest. Opal excused herself to go to the restroom and Bolin closed the door, running out into the other room to fetch other members of the family.

"Mako, who is this?" she asked.

"This is Eska," he said reaching for her. She approached and Mako whispered in her ear. Her eyes lit up and she shed tears reaching out to embrace her.

"Are you okay?" Mako asked Eska, to which she smiled and nodded, "She's just so happy to know you."

"I could tell from her letters that she was very loving and sweet," responded Eska.

"It's wonderful to see my grandson find such a beautiful woman to marry." Eska blushed. There was a knock at the door suddenly.

"Oh! He's here!" she remarked excitedly jogging to the door which took Mako by surprise.

"Wait, Who-?"

"I got you all of the groceries you requested Mis- MAKO!" Wu set the groceries on the table and threw his arms around Mako. Mako laughed.

"Hey Wu, it's good to see you too. Look at you!" said Mako observing Wu. He had grown a substantial amount of muscle.

"This is the one you used to do security work for correct?" inquired Eska.

"Oh yes," Wu responded, "I hear he's working up North now! How are you Chiefess Eska?"

"I am quite well. I requested to meet Mako's family, so he brought me here."

"Wait.. are you two… *Involved*" Wu whispered. Eska showed him the gold-colored necklace on the blue silk sash. Wu gasped and smiled.

"I am so happy for you guys! Congratulations!" said Wu shaking hands with Eska.

"So when is the wedding?" asked Yin.

"The wedding…," he said looking over to Eska, "I believe will be on the winter solstice." Eska smiled and nodded.

"Oh, that's just six months away. I should get a list of things done before then!"

"We will ensure that everything is well handled concerning matters of transportation, and other logistics," stated Eska. Yin looked at Mako.

"My, she has a remarkable vocabulary, and she's royalty!" said Yin, holding Mako again. Mako smiled deeply.

Bolin and Opal returned shortly thereafter.

"So what are you guys planning on doing in the city, besides the banquet, I mean?" asked Opal.

"Well, I was wondering if I could take Eska out shopping, as it has come to my attention that all of our clothes may be a bit to warm to wear in this climate, being they were made in the North Pole," said Mako.

Opal gasped for a moment, "You should let me take her shopping!" she said excitedly, "I know just the places."

"Bolin and I will take Mako! I have just the stores in mind!" Said Wu.

"That sounds great! Asami is down in the lobby! And she can join Opal and Eska!" said Bolin aloud.

"Wait, Asami's down in the lobby?" Mako inquired.

"Oh yeah, we were down there to wait for her to get here! She'll be happy to see you again!" Bolin responded. Mako and Eska looked at each other.

"Well, would you be okay with her joining you?"

"I would be alright with that," Eska said smiling.

"Be careful going out you all! Come home safe!" said Yin as they departed. Mako and Bolin opted to take the stairs while the others more gracefully rode the elevator.

"So, who is it that's engaged to Eska? I noticed her necklace and it looks really neat!" said Bolin.

"Bolin…" said Mako stopping him on a platform.

"What's up?" asked Bolin. There was a pause for a moment.

"No way…," he said, "No Way!"

"We were afraid to te-" he was cut off by Bolin having tackled him with an embrace, both laughing with one another in the stairwell in a tight, brotherly hug.

"We were afraid to tell you at first as there's a lot of relationship history going on, but she… She's good for me, and I like to think I'm good for her," said Mako.

"Dude, I am so happy for you, like I can't even begin to tell you how awesome this is!" said Bolin, beginning to tear up. Mako grabbed him up again.

"Just don't tell Asami yet, okay?" asked Mako.

Bolin sniffled, "Sure thing man! Now let's go find you a nice outfit!"

They reached the ground floor later than the others to see the congregation in the lobby.

"Mako!" shouted Asami who ran over to greet him with a hug. He got a bit nervous, looking over at Eska before patting her on the back. He noticed that she had a betrothal necklace of her own.

"It's been so long! Korra's off doing some work with the airbenders but she should return with Tenzin, and she will be back for the banquet."

"Excellent, it's good to see you again, Asami!" Mako told her. They rejoined the group, and Mako pulled Eska to the side.

"I'm sorry, I know how you feel about that," Mako told her.

"About what?"

"About… physical affection from other women."

She took his hand, "I have come to trust you and to believe in you Mako, I do feel off about it, however I know that such gesturing can be platonic, and I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. Don't let me down though."

"I won't darling," he kissed her briefly on the forehead, "I promise." They walked to return to the group.

"I enjoy it when you do that," she said matter-of-factly.

"Then I guess I could stand to do It a little more often."

"Alright, Eska, we are going to take you to a spa as we figured you could use some time to relax and just enjoy yourself, after that we will take you around and get you some really nice clothes!" Asami told her.

"What is a… spa?" Eska inquired.

"Oh… umm, it's just a really nice place where they treat your nails, skin, hair, and body that allows you to relax."

"Is it that place down on North 50th?" asked Wu. Asami turned and nodded, "You are in for a treat sweetie, I promise!"

"I think we will start by taking Mako to the Fancy Badger Mole. We will get him some clothes and such to wear at the banquet, and after that we can figure something else out."

"I don't think I've ever been there before," Mako said.

"Oh, it's an ugly hole in the wall place. They reopened it after that whole thing with Kuvira. They have a lot of the latest designs and outfits to browse, and they've got high quality stuff there." The girls began to talk about some of the details of their plans and Mako approached Eska

"Do you feel like you will need money?" asked Mako. Eska smirked.

"Are you asking me if I need money?"

"Well, you know I would always love to buy things for you," he said.

"I may have to take you up on that." she said with a grin.

"I've got her Mako, I promise I won't let her out of my sight!" said Asami.

"Thank you, Asami," he said Smiling.

The two groups left down the street in opposite directions, and Asami took them into her car which had been parked just outside the apartment complex. She tuned the radio and out of it, music played. Eska tilted her head, observing this from the backseat.

"When I hear the serenade in blue….

… I'm somewhere in another world alone with you…"

The coupe started with a rumble and began rolling along through the city. The ride was not half as windy as she had expected it to be, and she enjoyed the scenery. The canyon of buildings that encompassed them was something she had never been used to, and she stared upward in awe.

"Have you never been here before?" asked Opal.

"I have been here once, and I saw Bolin at the hotel at which we are currently staying. He was working with Kuvira still," Eska said as the coupe navigated traffic gracefully.

"Oh, you were here before the whole giant robot thing? Quite a bit has changed since then."

"Giant robot thing?" she inquired. Asami laughed out loud.

"It's a long story, but the city was nearly destroyed," Opal continued, "By the very woman Bolin had been working for." She crossed her arms and rolled eyes.

"Here we are!" Asami remarked aloud, parallel parking out front of the building. They exited the vehicle and approached the receptionist.

"Name?" she inquired.

"Asami Sato and two guests," she said, "The usual for me and if you could grant these two the special."

"Absolutely Ms. Sato!" the receptionist stated enthusiastically as she invited the two back into the salon. She directed the two to a hair-washing station where two attendants aided them. Eska laid her head back, guided by the professional, and she was startled as someone gently guided her moccasins from her feet.

"Wow, water tribe hair, it's so thick and beautiful," said the professional, "Is this dye may I ask?" inquiring regarding the white streak in her hair.

"Oh, that… has always been like that," she remarked in response. The attendant clicked a button on the chair, and it began to vibrate intensely. As she adjusted the woman at her feet gently placed a stool and into a pot of water, gently massaging the soles of her feet with soap and water and a very warm. Another woman came to her side, gently dipping her hand in warm water, massaging it too, digging deeply into her palms into the tension that reside beneath the surface. She let go in the moment, allowing her body to sink into the chair, and she shut her eyes for the moment.

"So Mako, what's up with the eye?" inquired Bolin as they walked down the street.

"Oh this? This I just got recently actually. It's a node that allows me to focus energy into firebending with my mind."

"Wait? So like, you can firebend with just your mind now?"

"Yeah, that's kind of the idea. I received a lot of spiritual guidance from the person that gave me it and taught me about the basics of it, but I haven't explored it as much as I've liked?"

"Well, let's see it!" said Bolin.

Mako laughed for a moment, "I'm afraid it's not something I can do within the city, Bolin. My firebending has become pretty… Intense, in these last few months."

"You've got to show me sometime! I'll show you some of the lavabending stuff I've been working on!"

"That actually sounds pretty cool. We will be here for about a week, so I bet we could find some time outside of the city."

They continued walking until Wu announced that they were there at the outfitter. It was a hole-in-the-wall joint to say the least; the outside of the shop looked run down with cracked siding and bad paint, and inside it was quite crowded with wares and fabrics of all sorts, but as soon as they got back Wu led them to the workspace where a craftsman measured them both for charcoal coats, slacks, and an ivy cap for Mako.

"Hey! That's not a bad look for you! Love the cap!" said Bolin as Mako emerged from the closet evaluating the sleeves. He had hung his previous, water-tribe outfit in a suit bag which came with the order. The ivy cap hung low on his head, almost covering his eyebrows, and thus it concealed the third eye node nicely, making for a bit of a surprise element; something to keep up his sleeve for emergencies.

"This material is great! Are you sure you want to get this Wu?"

"Absolutely! I enjoy doing stuff like this with friends! As of the recent surge in the economy in the earth kingdom, the treasury has started to flow a lot better, so I have a little bit of money to take around."

"Things do seem like they've started to stabilize in Ba Sing Se from what I have heard. I've been wondering, what's got you to build so much muscle recently?" asked Mako as they stepped outside. Mako and Bolin held their previous outfits over their shoulders.

"Oh yeah! After the whole Kuvira kidnapping me thing, I took up a lot of boxing and mixed martial arts work. I started eating more meat and potatoes than I had before and doing work with weights! It's been a crazy time, but I feel like it's paid off."

"Well yeah man, I mean, you look great!" said Bolin.

"Thanks guys! How about I take you guys back down to the hotel and we'll get everything setup, then we-" There was a pause as the three looked around and noticed they had been surrounded by a couple of gentlemen about their height. Mako counted five, whispering of two behind and three in front. They each pulled out switchblades.

"Aight boys, we will be taking those valuables off your hands today." Wu rolled his sleeves back, letting his coat drop to the floor. Strapped to his shoulder beneath his coat were a pair of butterfly swords that he twirled for a second. Mako and Bolin simultaneously dropped their bags, shifting into boxing positions.

"Maybe now you can show me the stuff you were talking about," joked Bolin as Mako snickered. The two in the back made a move, Bolin raised a wall folding it over on top of them and facing the front three who advanced immediately, Wu disarming the first switchblade and putting the other of his swords to his throat before groin kicking him and sweeping his leg, axe kicking him to the floor.

As the other two moved in, Mako launched a few jab punches and sent the second guy flying into the wall with a roundhouse kick to the jaw. As the other lunged for Wu he sent on uppercut of fire, burning his hand, and causing him to drop the knife and run.

The three hi-fived one another and picked up their bags before running off laughing.

"Nice touch with the swords!"

"Thanks! I found these in an old cellar in the palace! I'm thinking they belonged to one of Qin the Conquerors guardsmen, but I can't really say. Great steel though!"

"Wait… so Desna uses cosmetics too?" asked Opal.

"Yeah, he used to let me practice on him when we were younger, and once he acquired some skill of his own, he started using some foundation and concealer on a regular basis."

"I would have guessed honestly; his skin has always seemed really clear. That was honestly one of the first things I noticed about him when I met him!" said Asami.

"That doesn't surprise me honestly, I've been trying to get him to disclose his skin care routine, which he claims to harbor a lot of secrets, but he remains quiet about it," Eska told them. The three of them sat in their individual hot baths of mud comprised of clay, their hair coated in mask and faces in facial mask. The room smelled lightly of incense.

"How often do you get to do things like this?" Eska inquired.

"Usually, to keep the stress of running such a large business at bay, I try to do this twice a month, sometimes a little more often if I feel the need," said Asami.

"Do they not have salons or spas in the Northern Water Tribe?" asked Opal.

"Well, I suppose they do, I have just never had it in mind to ever seek them out. I had always preferred to stay home than go out."

"Understandable, and you mentioned you don't know very many other women to go with. I think that's really what makes the experience great," Opal added.

"I've never had friends to go and do things with outside of Desna. He and I would occasionally go to salons and massage parlors, which was always nice honestly." Eska mentioned.

"He sounds like a wonderful guy to be around. Has anyone snatched him up yet?" asked Asami.

"No actually, he is nearly twenty-two and has never seen anyone," Eska stated matter-of-factly.

"Is he… by any chance…" said Opal reluctantly.

"Oh, no, he and I have talked about that, as I was worried that he may be having trouble with…"

"Asexuality?" inquired Asami

"It's not that either, it's more along the lines of ineptitude. My mother and I are the only girls he has ever really talked to. I'm not sure if he has developed the social skills necessary to proactively seek out personal relationships… I worry about him sometimes. He tells me that he loves me, and he cares about me even more than himself, he always has, but I worry that he doesn't have people to look after him the same way." her voice began to weaken a bit.

"Maybe we could help him find someone," prompted Asami.

"How do you suppose we do that?"

"Well, maybe we could nudge him along to meet someone at the banquet," Asami responded.

"That seems interesting; I wonder who he would be willing to meet though, and of those, who all is single and interested in a relationship." The three of them thought for a moment, searching through the list of people at the banquet.

"What about the firelord's daughter?" asked Asami.

"Izumi's daughter? If I recall correctly she most certainly is single, and Mako seems to know her well. He did bodyguard work for the imperial guard."

"Wait, really?!" raised Opal.

"Certainly; Perhaps we could employ Mako in setting a scene, and we could convince Desna to walk into it," she said, taking a sip of herbal tea on ice.

"That sounds like it would be an organic setting, but how could we really get them to bond emotionally or romantically?" Inquired Asami.

"You would have to get them to do something interesting together, like an event or a quest. Something that they will have to work together to accomplish," Opal said to them.

"What makes you say that?" asked Asami.

"I personally didn't know Bolin very well when I met him, and I'll admit I was fairly attracted to him, but he was dorky, and talking with him was weird. I think what really set my attraction to him in stone was seeing him in action. Getting to see him be really competent, skilled, confident, and Bold really helped me get around to liking him, especially after he helped the tyrant that kidnapped my family."

"That makes a lot of sense actually. We could setup a situation that requires them to get to know each other. All of that personal interaction should at least allow for them to become friends!" Asami added.

"Now all that there remains is the question of what the quest will be, and how we will manifest it," stated Eska. They continued to think and sip their tea.

Kya and Desna walked down the street, Desna was silent, looking straight forward for most of the time.

"Are you okay? You seem kind of quiet," prompted Kya.

"Well, I suppose there's not much to say now. My father always taught me that silence is the path to wisdom. I never really understood how, but I came to understand after time in scripture," he responded.

"From what it sounds like, he was a fairly profound man."

"Despite committing atrocious and treacherous acts throughout the course of his life, I must agree that he was indeed profound, but when he turned on us, I questioned everything that he had ever taught me."

"I would imagine that to have been quite a difficult time for you."

"It was a time where Eska and I fell back into maladaptive coping mechanisms, many of which we have begun to work out of over the course of the past year."

"Well, I'm glad that you feel like you've gotten better." They continued walking, approaching a restaurant with an outdoor plaza.

"Let me take you to dinner, I've always enjoyed this place, and I think you may too," she told him, smiling to him.

"I have been feeling hunger rather extensively recently, as the lunch was rather small. This proposition sounds adequate."

They were seated within the outdoor plaza where they politely ordered their meals and awaited their arrival.

"Hey… about all of this, I've actually been wanting to talk to you about something."

"What is that may I ask?"

"Are you… okay? I mean, I know I asked that before, but… You have had so much happen to you in these last few weeks, and years even, and… I've just felt something stirring in you, and I can't help but feel bad, because you didn't ask for any of this." Desna just sat and stared for a moment, trying to understand the question that had just been asked.

"I'm sorry I've be-"

"When I saw her die… I felt nothing… and I don't know why," he said aloud. She simply sat there, watching, and listening, her mouth still open from when she attempted to talk earlier.

"I watched my mother give up her life, I watched my beloved sister take her own life… and I couldn't even tell what was happening. I know she is here, but all the while everything has calmed down… I feel like I don't know or understand my life anymore. I can't register what is real, and what is fiction. It seems that my sister has a new life, and that I have been left behind." Kya sat in awe.

"I've always wanted what was best for her, even if it was at my expense, and now that she doesn't need me anymore, I don't even know why I even exist anymore."

"Your sister will always need you Desna, regardless of how much or how little support you give her. She is your sister, and she loves you so dearly, and over so many painful years, you have taken such good care of her. You gave up your independence, you gave up your own thoughts and desires for her sake, and now you are at a point where you are learning that you have these too, and you have needs." Desna still stared at the table. She took her hand between her own hands and looked him in the eye.

"I don't know what supposed to happen now that it's all over…"

"Well, our minds are good at deciding when a good time is to deal with our emotions by bringing them to the surface, sometimes days, weeks, months, or years later," she told him, "Often we want to push them back down because we feel like it's so inconvenient for us or it's a bad time, but our minds like to wait for those times, because those are the times that it has our full attention, and when everyone around you is also paying attention so that these emotions can be expressed fully." Desna sat, breathing deeply, and accepting the things that Kya offered.

"The truth is, I don't know what happens, but honestly… I'd like for us to find out together," she told him, holding his hand tightly.

"Will it be more pain?" he asked. She sat silently and thought for a moment.

"I know that there will be pain to feel in this life, but I know for certain that even though there will be pain, that you will not be destroyed Desna," she said to him as he looked up to her, eyes glistening, "Your life will carry on, and it will carry you too sweetie. You have people that dearly love you and want to help you bear this burden. When we share this with others, and know that we aren't alone, the pain that we experience in this life is lightened, because we know through the suffering that there are people there ready to help us survive, and even though it doesn't make suffering easy, it helps us to know that there will come another day where we are well and happy again, and this is the meaning of hope." Desna listened silently shedding a few tears. He paused before nodding.

"I'm sorry. I know what you mean when you say it's often better to not talk so much, but something came over me to give to you. I try to do more listening than I do talking."

"You are undoubtedly profound in your own right Kya… Thank you," he said looking back to her. Their food came soon enough, and there was a period of silence where they ate before they began small talk again, sharing humorous things back and forth and laughing with one another.

"… What about you?" asked Desna.

"What do you mean?"

"How have you been feeling?"

"… Well, for a lot of these last two weeks I have spent some time thinking about my own family, and listening to you two has helped me so much to think about how much I love them… I was once told by a man that sometimes the best way to find help, is to help somebody else, and over time I've come to understand a new meaning of this…" she said to him, she looked off into the distance, "I've really been missing them honestly."

"Thank you for being with us in these last few weeks, I don't know what we could have done without you."

"Always," she said, "I had tried to tell Mako that I believed this to be fate that I am here. I don't believe that any of this was accidental, I can just feel it, something about the situation is supernatural, even without the moon spirit in mind, and on that, you should know that fate is not done with you. I feel this too."

Desna thought for a moment, "I will try to keep this in mind." They smiled through the grief they mutually held. Kya looked over to witness a young lady in glasses and soft, red garb.

"Hey, can I ask you another question?" inquired Kya.

"Absolutely," Desna responded enthusiastically.

"Of all of the wisdom your father taught you… did he ever teach you of how-to women?" Desna was taken aback by the question, blushing slightly.

"Oh, sorry! Guys are cool too!" she said.

"Oh… um- I uhh, I'm-I do like women," he responded nervously, under his breath."

"Oh okay…" she paused, "What about her?"

"Whom?" he asked.

"Don't look now, look later, but there is a nice young lady seated alone at one of the tables over there with a book. What do you think of her?" Desna gave it a little bit, but looked over slowly, and out of the corner of his eye, witnessed a young lady, looking to be fire nation, and seated alone at one of the tables inside.

"Well, I mean… she is… remarkably pretty," Desna remarked, altering his tone.

"She's reading a philosophical text, so she obviously is educated, and of… strange taste?"

"Wait, what makes you say that?"

"I recognize that text…" he said standing up, his head tilted curiously to the side, "… from somewhere."

"You should go strike up a conversation with her about it! See, you already have something in common!" she said, Desna already proceeding through the front door of the establishment. From there, he proceeded to the table at which she sat, placing his hand on the back of a chair.

"Excuse me, but may I ask if I could sit here?"

"Oh… umm, yes… yes you may!" she said in response.

"My apologies, I just couldn't help but notice the text you're reading as being quite familiar to me."

She tilted her head, "Really? This is one of his original writings."

"What entices you about Xai Bau's philosophies?"

"Wow, you really know your texts! Umm… Well, I had heard so much about the events of disaster that the Red Lotus had caused and how it had set the world so out of balance, and from there I figured I ought to educate myself on their principles and tenets, and what guides their intentions," she responded to him.

"That's awfully conscientious of you; I can understand that though."

"What do you know about Xai Bau's work?"

"Well… for one, I've met him personally," he remarked tilting his head to the other side as he spoke.

"That… That's impossible. Xai Bau himself has been dead for decades," she said.

"Oh, but he is very alive in the world of spirits."

Her eyes widened, "You have been to the spirit world… To Xai Bau's Grove?"

"To the spirit world many times," he said to her, "To Xai Bau's Grove just once, quite recently actually."

She widened her eyes, pausing for a moment, and closing her book, setting it off to the side, and leaning in and smiling, "Tell me more," she said to him. Kya witnessed this sight from a distance and smiled excitedly as she spied on the two.

"Would you mind if I asked of your name?" Desna inquired.

"Ursa," she responded to him.

"My name is Desna; I am from the Northern Water Tribe."

"Have I met you before? I've been to the Northern Water Tribe recently."

"Well, I wouldn't be surprised if you had seen me, as I do address the public quite often, however I don't believe we have met."

"Oh, well I can't quite remember exactly where I had seen you, but it may have been around the capitol. My grandfather had passed away, and we had come to see a great healer to see if she could help him. Things went okay at first, but he relapsed, and he departed that evening."

"I'm sorry to hear that. Having a loved one taken from you can be a harrowing experience." He looked down and to the side as he mentioned this, which she took notice of.

"Well, I suppose it is good that he is not in pain any longer, and he was very spiritual, so I've wondered if he walks the spirit world now. I've read up and studied texts all about it, but it has been heavily advised to me that I avoid it, as the spirit world can be a treacherous place."

"I will certainly say that the world of spirits can be remarkably dangerous, as I've been in some extent of peril almost every time I have walked within it, but at the same time, I find it to be remarkably fascinating."

"Tell me about Xai Bau's grove and your journey there," she prompted, listening in. The look on her face was endearingly curious, as she observed him up and down

"We made our way in through the northern portal, having taken a catamaran to make our way there, which would later be stolen by some insurgents," he began, "and from the entrance, we made our way through a few shifting passages. I had my map, but I was never certain if maps were ever applicable within the spirit world, as it can be very spatially anomalous. We ended up splitting up, and I sat down, seeking out an old picture of my sister to see if I could find her using meditative precognition, however, in my attempt I accidentally summoned my father…"

Desna continued, recounting the story of the trio on their endeavor, and returning to a nearby village to find their mother had been oddly present at an ideal moment.

"That is all so fascinating, I never usually am allowed too far beyond the palace, so any element of adventure in one's stories are appreciated," she smirked.

"You believe I have fabricated this?" he grinned.

"Well, I'm not saying that, but I'm just saying, your story could use a bit more action perhaps."

"I have proof of my being there!" he contested, standing up from his chair "and I have it back at my hotel room to show you if you don't believe me."

"That's quite an effort to take me home with you," she grinned.

He blushed and recoiled for a second, "No, no it's not like that I-"

"I know, I'm simply teasing you, let me take my tea with me, and show me to the room you're staying at, and then I may believe you."

He stepped outside to see Kya smiling.

"We will be headed to the hotel room as soon as she returns with her tea,"

"Nice! Here, I have contra in my-"

"Oh no! That-that won't be needed" he said.

"But you need to be using prote-"

"It's not like…" he took a deep breath, "Okay…So we were discussing Xai Bau and his philosophies, as that is what she had been reading, and I told her of our journey into the spirit world, and she didn't believe that I had met him in person… until I told her I had proof, so I'm taking her to the hotel, where I have taken a few of his personal documents to casually study in our time here."

"Oh okay, that makes sense! Well, let me at least provide you with something to work with just in case!"

"N-… Okay," he hung his head in comic resignation as Kya passed quickly passed him a few 'personal items' that he swiped into his pocket quickly, ensuring that it would not show from the outside of his robes, lest anyone jump to conclusions.

"Kya?!" inquired Ursa as she stepped out with her book in one hand, and her tea in the other.

"Hey Ursa! How've you been holding up?" inquired Kya.

"I've been doing better. I've come to represent my mother at the banquet while she prepares and arrangements for the funeral next week," she said as the two embraced one another.

"I take it that you two already know one another?" grinned Desna at Kya who in the embrace winked at Desna over Ursa's shoulder.

"This is the healer I had mentioned earlier!" said Ursa, looking back to him.

"That makes a lot of sense, I'll bet you saw my sister with Mako at the hospital?"

"You know Mako?" she inquired, tilting her head

"He has been under our employment as head of security for quite a while now, recently being promoted to associate chief, alongside being engaged to my sister."

"Wow! That's excellent! Would you tell him I sent my congratulations?" she requested, with a bit of awkward tonality.

"Well, we may be seeing him back at the hotel room, as he and I are actually rooming together, so you may be able to tell him yourself if you wish."

"That sounds excellent! Now show me this proof you have!" she remarked taking his forearm.

"Wait! How do yo-"

"We're all staying at the same hotel!" Kya watched and laughed as she left the waitress and busser noteworthy tips before leaving off in that direction herself. The two hailed an open-top taxi coupe and they were driven back to the residence.

"Okay… so what you're saying is… we hire Bolin…. BOLIN… to dress up like an assassin and try to go after Ursa while she and Desna hit it off at the banquet… so Desna can get rid of him and 'save the princess' from peril… Right?" Asami inquired, trying her best not to laugh. They sat back in a sauna on bamboo benches coated with towels, their hair marinating with oils and conditioner.

"I mean, it's funny to think about, knowing Bolin and all, but I think he could pull it off with the right outfit and the right moves," Opal responded giggling herself.

"Despite understanding how difficult it can be to take Bolin seriously on some matters, if we disguise his figure and choreograph the situation to be just right, I suspect we could pull off something that is entertaining at least. I think the real question is how we will convince Bolin to do this," Eska responded.

"Oh that, I could just give him a cute look and bat my eyes a little bit and he would be happy to do it."

"Is it that easy with him?" inquired Asami.

"It is when you're me," she said grinning at the others who smirked at the idea. Eska waved her hands, entertaining herself with the steam before Opal puffed air into the furnace for Eska to generate more from. The three gave satisfied groans as their joints thanked them.

"Okay, so here is the manifesto, which is the prime document governing the principles of the Red Lotus," he rolled out the scroll, directing her toward the bottom, "… and if you look closely," he said shining a flashlight at the backside of the document.

"The ink bled through! This is clearly his signature! How did you-"

"I told you… I met him in person!" he smirked.

"So, all of that story you told me was absolutely true!?" she asked in surprise.

"Yes, you can-" The door opened.

"Speak of the devil himself," said Desna turning to the door where Bolin, Mako, and Wu walked in.

"Oh, Ursa? Hey! It's good to see you!"

"Mako! It's wonderful to see you too! I had just met Desna earlier and he was telling me all about his perfectly factual journey into the spirit world where he met Xai Bau himself at his grove."

"Oh yeah!" Mako said, "Yup, never happened!" Desna threw up his hands as they both shook their heads and grinned.

"Glad I could count on you! Thanks, Mako."

"What happened?" Bolin inquired.

"It's nothing, or rather, it's a very long story," Desna remarked.

"Don't worry, I still believe you… sort of."

"Ouch man…" said Wu.

"Alright fine! I don't need you to believe me, but these documents are authentic!"

"That I cannot argue with. Perhaps I should show you some of the documents that I have within my own room," she proposed.

"What kind of documents may I ask?"

"Some pertaining to the red lotus, claimed to be authentic, but I doubt the veracity of the claim; maybe you could analyze them for me and tell me your thoughts," she proposed, smiling to him.

"That sounds quite enjoyable actually," he said, following her lead.

"Oh hey dude something fell out of yo-…" paused Bolin as Desna stopped him, taking what was on the floor, signaling for silence with a finger over his lips. They left the room and shortly after heard a few murmurs…

"YOOOO!"

"Seriously?! You're Joking!"

"No man, no joke!"

"No way dude! Desna?"

The princess turned to see Desna look back at the door for a second.

"What… What was that all about," inquired the princess.

"I… am not entirely certain," he returned, shaking his head and grinning.

"Boys are weird," she said grinning.

"I can't disagree with you entirely," he said smirking as the elevator door closed them in.

"Okay, before we take you back to the hotel, I want so badly to take you shopping!" said Asami.

"What makes you want that?" inquired Eska.

"Well, I've been wondering if you've ever really had a girl's night out, and I think we could find something that would look really good on you for the banquet!" They walked gracefully down the street adorned with a flower in their braided hair, Eska's shining in the evening sun.

"You should let us treat you to this. Honestly Eska, we think you're really pretty." Eska stopped for a moment and blushed, her darkened skin didn't hide that.

"Okay," she said softly smiling, and following the other two.

"C'mon, I know just where to take you!" said Asami as they all boarded her automobile, and she engaged the ignition. She held her hair to the side so that it wouldn't fly around in the wind. The flower, being pinned where it was, had no issue remaining in its place.

They arrived at a boutique, outside which Asami parked and invited the other two inside. Within was a vast collection of apparel, accessories, cosmetics, all which Eska glanced at, seeming a bit uncomfortable.

"Are you okay?" asked Opal softly as Asami spoke with the membership clerk.

"I am, it's just that this happens to be my first time in a place such as this, and accordingly I feel a bit… Out of place if you will."

"You're not out of place Eska, I promise," she said taking her hand, "We will be with you here. We really want for you to feel your best at this banquet, and we want you to know that we care about you." Eska looked to her. Opal had such big glistening eyes that made for an endearing quality about her.

"Thank you, Opal," Eska responded very softly. Opal looked over to Asami, still caught up in conversation with the membership clerk.

She whispered, "I know about you and Mako… Congratulations!" Eska recoiled for a moment as her eyes went wide.

"I know you haven't told me, and Bolin doesn't know yet either unless Mako has already told him, but when I was down in Kyoshi Island around the Southern Air Temple I saw a newspaper with you guys in it and I kept it with me. I cannot express how happy I am for you!" she said wrapping her arms around Eska's neck.

"Please don't tell Korra or Asami yet!" Eska whispered back.

"I won't, I promise," said Opal in return.

"This is certainly quite the room, it's definitely larger than the one we are currently pl-" He was cut off by a pair of lips of a woman that swerved out from behind him. He indulged for a second before taking a breath, more like gasping, in the shock of the moment. She looked distraught and remorseful for a moment. Her hand went to her mouth.

"I- I'm sorry… I di-" he returned to her lips drawing her waist toward him with one hand and wrapping her face with the other. She slithered her arms around his neck and gently drew him backward gently. Her glasses fell off, and he drew the pin from her hair, placing the ornament to the side. She drew him backward over the bed, reaching beneath his overcoat.

"You must be awfully warm in this," she said in a breathy voice. She removed his robe. His moccasins already lay to the side of the bed and his trousers remain on. She stroked the front of his body gazing at his figure, remarkably muscular, particularly around his abdomen, chiseled and delicate around the waist, so that the veins could be seen from his lower abdomen.

"My, you are a sight for sore eyes. Even with my glasses off, I can tell you're quite worth indulging in."

"What do you mean?" he asked pausing his intimacy for a moment. She threw a reversal, throwing him down onto the bed, quite luxurious and soft, and she removed her chest piece before straddling him and parting her robe so to reveal her figure.

"Oh…" he whispered, she giggled at him.

"Hey… listen… I don't want to indulge in something without establishing a relationship as well. I like you, but I want more than just… something in a bedroom."

"Then perhaps you could take me to the banquet tomorrow as a suitor from the Northern Water Tribe, and we can talk about something more then."

"Uh…" his jaw dropped, and his face turned red before he nodded, reaching down to his robe, and removing that which Kya had lent to him. She grinned.

"Was it that you caught a glimpse of this that cued your interest?"

"Maybe," she grinned and looked off to the side. He took one and opened it.

"I have quite an appreciation for a man who is always prepared."

"Wha-…" he said, having it placed in the center of his palm, "What do I do with this exactly? I-I've never utilized this before."

"Hand it here and I'll show you," she said giving him flirting glances.

Asami browsed evening gowns and dresses of all sorts. She paid critical attention to what would flatter her figure and skin tone. She found one, an evening gown with a single strap on the right side. It was a Dark blue shade that contrasted nicely the shade of her skin. She whispered to Opal as Eska curiously browsed shoe styles. Opal joined her.

"Have you found anything of interest? Styles, I mean," asked Opal.

"I have never seen shoes built in such a… strange manner. How does someone walk in shoes such as these?" she holds a three-inch pump in her hands, "What practical purpose would they serve?"

"They don't necessarily serve a practical purpose, so much as an aesthetic purpose. They have a sleek appeal that complements an outfit, and the incline affects the posture so that…" Opal paused.

"So that what?" inquired Eska, tilting her head gently to the side. Opal briefly browsed the three-inch pumps, finding one in the exact same shade as the dress they had found and she turned to Eska, pulling a pair from the shelf.

"Let me see your foot for a moment," Opal prompted, removing one of Eska's Moccasins and comparing the size of the shoe to her foot.

"A little more length, so let's try tens…" she muttered, carousing the stack of heels, and pulling another from the group.

"These look like they would fit you," Opal said to her, "Try and put your foot inside." Eska did so with grace. She had remarkable balance, and thus standing with one foot alone never bothered her. She sank her heel into the shoe itself and found a comfortable fit.

"These are remarkably more comfortable than they look," she said softly.

"Sounds like we found something good for you! Asami found you a really pretty outfit that we honestly want to see you try on if you are comfortable." Eska looked over to her, "You don't have to if you don't feel comfortable."

"Okay," she said nodding lightly.

"Great! I'll go tell Asami to bring the other components to the dressing room, and you will bring these so you can try them on with the outfit," Opal said handing her the box of shoes. Eska met Asami at the door of the dressing room where she was handed a dress and she briefly changed within the room.

"It's been quiet for a few minutes, do you think that you could check on her maybe?" asked Asami quietly, Opal nodded. She entered the dressing room, finding Eska propping herself on a desk that was equipped with a dressing mirror.

"Hey," Eska was startled and fell for a second; Opal ran to help her up, supporting her from one side, "Hey, take it easy for a second, just stand still." Eska did as Opal told her. She looked up and noticed that she was almost struggling to lean her neck forward.

"This… It doesn't feel right." She tried walking for a moment again.

"Hey, don't move just yet!" Opal prompted, setting her upon the chair to retrieve Asami from outside the room. The other two pulled up chairs of their own and asked her to stand. She did so, a bit awkwardly before taking a moment to find equilibrium, stopping to adjust, and as she did so, she allowed her neck to relax and be naturally stacked on her shoulders.

"That's it! It's because her neck is propped forward. It's throwing her off balance," proposed Opal. Eska walked around for a moment of grace and ease. She caught herself in front of a large mirror.

"Eska," Asami said moving over to join her before the mirror, "You look beautiful," she said as Eska closely observed herself in the mirror, her posture dramatically brought out her figure like an hourglass. She crossed her arms and looked down and to the side.

"Eska, will you sit down for me again?" Eska remained silent posturing her body forward again.

"Hey, can I ask you a question?" asked Asami; Eska nodded in response.

"Do you lean forward deliberately?" Eska slowly looked up to her to answer.

"Out of habit," she responded.

"Do you know why?" asked Asami, Opal was confused at the question.

"I started around my childhood, and since then it was a habit that I've never been rid of. Desna adopted it so that I wouldn't feel so bad about it," she said softly, looking off to the side.

"You have a really wonderful brother," said Asami, Opal beginning to catch onto what Asami was seeking out, "But what made you start to do it in the first place?" Eska paused for a good minute looking away from the two of them, seeming substantially uncomfortable with the question. They moved in to comfort her.

"You don't have to answer if you don't want to," Opal said to her.

"Growing up… I always felt awful about my body, especially after I hit a few growth spurts as a child. I developed breasts precociously, and…" her voice weakened for a moment, and she took a deep breath, "I just wanted to hide… I threw on thick robes and leaned over slightly, figuring no one would notice. Desna knew about it and did it so that I wouldn't feel so bad about being hunched over in public. I've always felt bad about my chest, and it's… never really changed," she said, her voice breaking slightly, "I'm sorry, this is a lot, and I don't know either of you very well. My mother was banished from the tribe when I was a child, so she was never around to help me through those years, and it never helped that I had never felt very pretty, so being dressed this way is so… foreign to me. Desna was the only one who was ever really there for me." She looked back to see the other two with glistening eyes. Asami reached to hold her hand.

"You don't have to apologize," said Opal, "Eska… you are so pretty, and talented, and sweet, and…" Opal paused for a lack of words.

"… Thank you, Opal... Such means more to me than you realize I assure you," she said standing and observing herself in the mirror. She tilted her head slightly, observing her hips as the gently protrude from beneath the dress.

"It flatters the hips, I like that… and I certainly do like the color, it's definitely something I would be happy to wear," she raised herself up again, that her posture would be stacked, and her figure brought into the light. She donned the gloves, a soft, light blue color to contrast the shade of the dress while matching the color.

"Are you two okay?" she turned to ask Asami and Opal.

"Yeah, we… uhh-… we are just a bit emotional from what you were saying, and I know that I felt hurt for you to have experienced that, and…" she paused to breathe, "I honestly hope for you that one day someone will come along to you who loves you so hard you can't help but love your own body as well," said Asami awkwardly, getting up to approach Eska from behind.

She noticed that Eska had placed her hand on the medallion of the necklace, "Is that a betrothal necklace?" she asked.

"It is indeed a betrothal necklace," Eska responded.

"Wow, it looks amazing! May I ask who the lucky guy is?" inquired Asami. There was silence between the three of them as Opal and Eska looked at one another.

"Do you know something? Are you in on this?" she asked as Opal began to giggle and nod.

"Really though who… Are you okay with talking about him? Or… her or…" prompted Asami. Eska turned in her chair to look back at Asami, hoping she would get the message, but she tilted her head.

"I'm afraid I don't understand."

"Please don't tell Korra yet…" Eska said to her.

"Wait, I don't get it why wouldn't I- *Gasp*…. No …. No way," her jaw dropped, and a wide, excited smile developed on her face, "Oh my spirits… It's you and Mako!" The sight of her being so wide-eyed regarding the matter was endearing and the other two couldn't help but smile.

"That's amazing! Why didn't you tell me sooner?! We have got to get you dolled up for the banquet! Opal and I will help you with preparations, is that okay?" she claimed as Eska nodded in agreement, "This necklace is gorgeous, did he make it himself?" she asked.

"He designed it and worked with a craftsman on it to ensure it would turn out well," she remarked proudly.

"Let me just thank you for looking after him so much! We were honestly really worried about him as he up and just disappeared, and we didn't know much about where he went or who with. We were really relieved to hear that he turned up in good hands."

"I am happy that he turned up in my hands as well in all honesty," she said looking to the mirror.

"So, what other shopping are we needing to do may I ask?" Eska inquires. Asami whispers to Opal for a second and Opal smirks, "Am I missing anything here?" she inquires sarcastically?

"Let's get that outfit to the front counter and I'll buy it for you; we've got just one last place to hit before we leave; we think you'll enjoy it a bit," Asami told her.

The boys returned to the hotel, and eventually, so did the girls, and they gave each other the evening to rest and recuperate from all the travelling that they had done throughout the city. They each set up their outfits for the day after. The door dividing the two rooms remained open for communication's sake. Eska looked around for a moment, moving into the other room to look.

"Are you looking for anything in particular?" asked Kya.

"Do either of you know where Desna is?" Kya and Mako looked at one another and snickered for a moment. Eska looked back and forth at the two.

"Maybe," Mako responded.

"How do you know?" asked Kya.

"Well, he was on his way out of the room, and something fell out of his pocket." Kya burst out laughing, "How do you know?"

"Well, who do you think gave them to him? I also convinced him to talk to her when she showed up at the restaurant we were at."

"Wait… What do you guys know?" asked Eska. The other two just paused for a moment.

"Should we tell her?" asked Mako.

"Well I mean does she really want to know?"

"Well you are obviously fascinated by his whereabouts so I would like to know to some extent!" she said.

"Desna is… out, with someone, at her hotel room," Kya answered.

"Out meaning what exactly?" she asked, tilting her head.

"… Hooking up." Mako responded.

"Wait, what-… So he's… with the firel-"

"Are you okay?" asked Mako.

"We had previously planned to stage something at the banquet to get the two together, but it seems that they are already a step ahead of us!" Eska remarked.

"Wait, what did you guys plan for the banquet?" asked Kya. Eska paused for a moment, and explained the staged assassination attempt that Desna would thwart with his graceful waterbending capabilities, which would surely charm the heart of the firelord's daughter into swooning over him.

"I won't say who all is involved, but we should have everything handled by the hour that the banquet occurs, and in the least, it should be entertaining to watch," she told them. They looked at one another and nodded, thinking the plan to be interesting to say the least.

"Well, I hope those two find something they are looking for in each other," Kya remarked.

"I do too; I get worried about Desna being lonely now that we're supposed to have our own lives."

Desna rolled off and flat with his back against the bed as they both breathed heavily, smiling with satisfaction each of them. The fan kept them cool, wafting the wind onto their bodies gracefully laid out, now facing one another. They hadn't had anything to say, but they just stared at each other's faces. She beckoned him closer, and he approached her. She gently toyed with his hair, thick and dark.

"You… you are astonishingly pretty may I say," Desna said to her.

"Thank you, you certainly are nice to look at yourself," she returned, running her finger down his chest. She replaced her glasses and observed him again, "My, you're even more appealing in focus. Come here, let me hold you," she said. As Desna approached her she embraced him, placing her head on his chest. He stroked through her long, dark hair as she listened to his heartbeat voraciously.

"What…" he began, "What made you so bold as to kiss me may I ask?"

She paused, thinking for a moment, "Truthfully I am not entirely certain, I was running on a feeling, but I thought you were attractive and catching on to the idea that I was taking you back to be at my place alone; you didn't actually think I had other documents here did you?"

"Well originally, I did believe you had others here, so the kiss took me by surprise, but I certainly didn't have too much of a problem with it. I was a little afraid that you would run away so I grabbed you and pulled you back in. How are you feeling about all of what just happened?" he inquired.

"I… I thought it was amazing. I've never been so far beyond the palace without my mother present, so I have never been with a boy this way before."

"That was your first time?" he inquired tilting his head.

"That was mine, what about you?" she asked, looking up from his chest.

"It was mine certainly, it was more enjoyable than I had originally conceived it would be," he told her, "Tell me what it was that drew you to me."

"I was feeling really lonely as of recent, and your boldness and gentleness in approaching me was… attractive. You have such an intelligent vocabulary, and your voice was so calming. I wanted to see more of you," she said, pressing her forehead to his chest.

"I had never expected to be with a boy, certainly not the chief of the Northern Water Tribe, but I figured that I don't see you often, so if I threw a bit of caution to the wind, the repercussions would be… relatively minimal, but now I just want to see you more often."

"I could arrange an international courtship; I just wonder about the logistics of such a proposition."

"Here, I will be back in a moment, we will talk more then," she said, entering the bathroom. She emerged with a few washcloths dampened with warm water and a towel to place beneath himself which he did at once. She leaned forward and kissed him, and the two of them blushed. She aids him, telling him to lay back and relax for a moment, caressing him with the warm washcloth.

"Hey," he said, halting her a moment, "You don't have to do that."

"Oh I don't mind I assure you. It is my pleasure to take care of you."

"But I could do that…" he responded.

"I'm aware darling," she said placing her hand on his chest, "but I'm not doing this because you can't, I'm doing it because I care." He was taken aback, silent for a moment.

"Oh-Okay." She gently further caressed him, gently cleaning, and removing the contra. He offered to handle that further, taking it to the bathroom to be thrown away. She followed him in, removing her glasses and prompting him to join her in the shower, which he is reluctant to do, but he joins her, and she approaches him within. He investigates the water, bringing her close to him, stroking the water through her hair, he cups her face and kisses her again as they feel the water pour out softly over them. She takes him by his waist and draws him further in.

Eska decided to unbraid her hair from the pattern that had been organized earlier so her hair could relax a bit further. She looked around for her whale-toothed brush.

"Hey, have you seen my hairbrush?" she inquired.

"Oh, I noticed you use it regularly, but you left it behind, so I packed it in my bag. It's over there."

"Thank you my dear turtle-duck," she said smiling sweetly and embracing him for a moment. Kya fell in love with the sight of the two as she proceeded to find his bag and open it. Within she found several pieces of the previous betrothal necklace that she had made for him before. He eventually walked back into the shared with Desna to prepare for a shower when her voice came softly out of the background.

"… you kept it…" he looked over.

"Well… yeah, you made it for me," he said approaching her, "It broke my heart to see you leave it behind, so I figured I would gather the pieces and take it back to the guy I met earlier to reassemble them," she simply held it within her hands as she placed herself on the bed. She remains silent for a moment as he stood there next to her. He came a bit closer and sat down next to her.

"Even if you have given up," he said gently to her taking her hand, "know that I haven't given up on you." She held the necklace with his hand to her chest for a moment, leaning over to place her head on his shoulder.

"I love you," he said to her.

"I love you too, Mako," she responded. He gathered the remainder of his clothing and made his way into the bathroom for the evening.

The two, Desna and Ursa, laid out on the bed, wrapped in towels as she rests her head against his chest, and they laid in silence.

"I want so badly to stay here and just rest for the night, but I know that if I don't get home at the right hour, Eska will start breaking down people's doors," he said, Ursa gently giggling at the remark, "I'll have to at least go to their door to tell them that I would spend the night."

"Have you considered using the telephone?" she inquired.

"I'm sorry?" he returned.

"The telephone," she said, raising her head and pointing at a setup on the nightstand at which he tilted his head, "Do they not use them in the Water Tribe?"

"I've never heard of a such a thing, so I would suspect not, but maybe some of the other locals do," he responded.

"What is her room number?" she asked allowing for the towel to drop away and donning a silk kimono which she left parted in the center as she approached the device on the nightstand, then donning her glasses with her hair still wrapped in another towel. She turned on the lamp next to it and began turning the dial until she had entered the correct combination after which she heard ringing, until the other line picked up.

"Hello, this is Princess Ursa of the Fire Nation, would this be Eska? I am looking for her." The voice on the other line did not answer, though she did hear a call of Eska's name in the background, and another voice eventually emerged from the background noise as the previous explained the mechanics of the device.

"Hello?" the line stated.

"Speak into this here and hold this cup to your ear," she said to him. He did so, intrigued by the mechanics.

"Eska?" he inquired.

"This is her speaking," said the line.

"Wow, that is amazing! I can't believe I've never used one bef-… Sorry, *Ahem* Eska, I have been invited to remain at another hotel room for the evening. The tenant of the room has proposed she will look after me for the evening."

"Who is she?" asked the voice.

Her figure was slightly visible through the translucence of her robe. She propped herself with one hand upon the nightstand, tapping her fingers casually over the side. Her face was very much in the likeness of her mother, and her grandmother thus. Her hair was long and dark, common to the fire nation folk, but in contrast to Desna, her skin was clear and fair-toned, delicate, and nearly translucent.

"That is Princess Ursa of the Fire Nation," he responded.

"Okay, well, be back sometime tomorrow morning then so that we can arrange for tomorrow's events."

"I understand, thank you… goodbye," he said, handing the pieces of the device to Ursa who consequently placed them back on their hooks, breaking the line.

"That is amazing, it is as if she was there, speaking with me!" he remarked.

"It is quite a remarkable device; I would imagine that setting up telephone wires in the North Pole would be very troublesome due to the weather and the temperatures, which would substantially explain why you had never used one," she said, being laid back and enveloped by him from behind. She leaned back into him, seating her hips snugly upon his as his arm draped around him. She looked back for a moment,

"There, now you can stay for as long as we like," she snickered. He kissed her neck from behind her as he nuzzled, and in this way, they fell deeply asleep beside one another.

"I don't know if I can do that Opal… Desna's always kind of… 'weirded me out,'" said Bolin as they had their morning tea, "That and he is super strong… I've faced off with him in combat before, and those two are scary just independently, and abjectly terrifying together," he said.

"Oh come on Bolin! It will only be an act, and We will make sure to back you up, so you don't get hurt!" She batted her eyes at him subtly, and he grinned.

"You are too cute, honestly, who could possibly say no to you?" he asked, unable to resist her.

"Aww, thanks," she said blushing just a bit.

"I'll even recruit some backup for the job," he said to her as she leaned over from her chair, placing her head in his lap.

"Thank you so much! We really care about Desna and want to get him to showcase his abilities. Competence tends to win a girls heart pretty well."

"I'll try to remember that!" he said to her, sipping at his own tea."

"It's just for the next few hours Mako! I promise!" Asami claimed, Opal and Eska closing the door to the other side of the room. It was three hours into the afternoon, and everyone was beginning to prepare for the banquet which was to begin at around seven in the evening, and last thereafter until ten. Mako inquired as to what made them want to begin preparations so soon, and they issue no reply, just shutting the door and giggling.

Desna and Mako got themselves prepared when there was a knock on the door, and they find Ursa, who has come to aid him in preparation for the banquet. She delivers an outfit in distinct contrast to the one that he had currently planned, as they will need to match to some extent, and his water tribe outfit will likely result in him getting heat stroke in Republic City.

He emerges, having changed into fire nation garb, a kind usually meant for royalty. She prompts him to sit on the floor while she arranges his hair from above him. Mako has prepared himself prior, donning the outfit that Wu had purchased from him the day before, and he observed as Ursa arranged his hair neatly into a top knot figure. She noted a considerable strand of hair that she had left out with disdain. Desna looked in the mirror, seeing this, and gently braided the strand, leading it down his face on one side. Ursa looked on at him in admiration of this addition.

Mako removed his hat from the outfit, opting in favor of the topknot. He pulled out an ornament that Zuko had given him in his time working for him.

"Wait, so are you two… a thing now?" Mako inquired from the other corner of the room. They looked at one another and discussed softly for a moment.

"That certainly is the idea," Desna remarked in return. Mako looked at Desna in his undershirt, as he had not yet donned the traditional chest piece that characterized Fire Nation garb.

"Whoa, dude, have you been training a lot?" asked Mako, addressing one of his arms.

"I have been attempting to put on a fair portion of muscle mass. After getting out of court, a lot of days I would pass by the gym for a few hours and do weight training, which my joints and bones have thanked me for."

"That's great! I mean, you look good!" said Mako, applying some fragrance he had picked up in their time.

"What is that fragrance?" asked Desna.

"Mahogany, Teak, and Pine," answered Mako, "I'm sorry, is it bothering you?"

"Oh no, it is actually quite delightful," Desna responded.

"I'm glad, Eska told me she likes it, so I've made it a point to wear it on occasion."

"That's sweet of you, Mako." Ursa remarked in admiration.

Soon enough they were all well-prepared an hour and a half ahead of time, deciding to probe the scene downstairs before the banquet itself. Mako descends to find several people have arrived early. The firelord catches eye of his daughter with a gentleman and approaches them.

"Ursa, what… who is this?"

"Mother, this is Desna, chief of the Northern Water Tribe. We are in courtship currently," she said quaintly. As she concluded saying this, Desna bowed, the way that Ursa had shown him.

"It is an honor to see you again, Firelord Izumi."

"It's wonderful to see you as well! I'm so sorry, I wasn't aware that my daughter had been seeing someone, but it makes me happy that she is finding good political connections at least!" she stated, taking Desna's hand, and smiling.

Eska sat, freshly showered, with her hair gently being done by Opal, Asami gracefully painted her face with makeup, before telling her to shut her eyes for a moment, as she sprayed her face gently down for the time. Eska shook her hair gently, and Asami offered her a hand to aid her in standing.

"You should know that you look amazing," she said to her.

"Would you like to see?" asked Opal. Eska turned to her.

"May I?" She asked, and Opal nodded, leading her into the bathroom where she flicked the light switch, and Eska gasped in awe at the sight.

"Is everything okay?" asked Asami.

"Eska reached for the mirror, to ensure the reflection was still her, before standing tall and looking to the others, taking a moment to breathe.

"My apologies, I'm making my best efforts to not cry any, but…," she said taking hold of Asami, "Thank you… so much."

"Absolutely Eska, we love you!" Opal prompted, joining the embrace.

"I love you too…"

Mako looked around, his head peeking out higher than most of the people present. He heard heeled steps approach from behind him.

"… Mako?" a voice asked, and he turned to see Lin and Suyin, smiling warmly at both.

"Lin!" he said, taking hold of her, "I was so worried when I heard about what had happened! You look great! How have you been?" he asked.

"Well, since the incident I had, I decided to retire where I have moved in with my sister to Zaofu, which is where I currently live. Your eye has healed remarkably well dear!" she said caressing his left eye and moving to his forehead.

"This looks awfully familiar!" she notes aloud.

"I suppose I do have quite a few stories to tell, would you like to join Eska and I at the banquet?"

"I'm sorry, I'm afraid that I don't know who that is," she remarks, Suyin nodding with her in agreement.

"Well… she is my fiancée," he states.

"Congratulations Mako!" Suyin responded while Lin was still in delighted awe.

"Absolutely I would love to join you two! I want to meet this woman! I'm so proud of you!" she said to him. He was happy to see her so delighted, but at the same time, rather curious, as this was a bit out of character for her. She looked over at Suyin and pointed toward Lin as they hugged.

"It's the same one, I promise!" she said to him.

"I have been feeling significantly better since I decided to leave my position to someone else," she said to him, "Suyin has helped me, and I just feel lighter, and I have more energy and I feel a lot more emotionally content. It's been wonderful getting to be with my family again."

"I'm really happy to see you doing so well Lin, I was getting a bit worried about you myself," he said to her.

"We were very worried about how you were doing as well. I tried what I could to keep the city from discharging you, because you were always an excellent officer. We didn't know where you would end up, but we were happy to hear that you managed work in the fire nation and water tribe."

"I ended up in good-"

"Mako!" shouted a voice that the two of them looked over to. Asami beckoned someone from around a corner who gracefully made her way around. He didn't recognize the figure at first, but upon closer inspection…

"Eska?" he spoke out loud.

"Spirits, Mako… She is beautiful," Lin said placing her hand on his shoulder.

"Yeah, she really… really is…" he said walking toward her as she looked up to him. Mako approached gently, placing his hand on her neck, and staring at her in awe.

"Eska?" he asked. She smiled in return and kissed him briefly.

"I recruited the help of these two, who really, really went out of their way. They are good people," she said.

"Your posture! It's pristine!" he remarked.

"Of course, I wanted for everyone to get to see the necklace that my husband made for me," she said happily. He looked over at the others and signally thanked them heartily

"They are good people, aren't they," he responded, offering her a hand, "C'mon, there is someone I would like for you to meet." He beckoned Lin and Suyin and Lin as he led her gently over.

"Are you able to walk okay?" he asked.

"These shoes were foreign to me at first, but once I walked around for a while, I picked the habit of walking upright quite nicely. It feels better for my neck," she said as he gazed along her figure, enthralled by her.

They met Lin and Suyin in the center of the lobby, "This is Lin, she was my superior when I worked for Republic City. She wrote one of the letters that we received a little while ago," he said excitedly.

"Lin, this is Eska; she is chiefess of the Northern Water Tribe, and she is my beloved fiancée," he said to them, Eska blushed a bit with the introduction.

"It's wonderful to meet you," Lin remarked, "We were worried about him for a little while, but we are happy he ended up in such good hands.

"Mom!" Shouted Opal as she ran to embrace Suyin. The doors soon opened to the ballroom and the people which once stood around within the lobby began to file into the hall.

The room was very large, half of the space allotted for the purpose of the placement of dining tables, and a fair portion of the remaining space was a floor for the purpose of dancing later in the evening, with a full jazz band present on the scene in the far corner. Past the dining section, where catering had been distributed and set up shortly prior to the opening of the doors, was a large balcony whose view overlooked the city from the fifth floor on which they were present. Before the band was placed a sizeable podium in which a host may address those present at the banquet if necessary.

"I had imagined that it would be an extravagant affair, and I must say I am not disappointed," Eska remarked. Mako stared at her as the two proceeded to the dining area where others were already being seated.

"Do you want to sit anywhere in particular?" Mako asked her.

"I'm not sure, I'll leave that up to you." Mako spotted Lin, Suyin, Asami, as well as Bolin and Opal, having already seated themselves at a table. Not knowing very many people present, he opted to seek two spots beside them.

"Are these seats reserved?" he asked Opal.

"Oh no! help yourself really!" He smiled and gently nodded, pulling a chair for Eska before seating himself. Ursa and Desna eventually found their own way over, however they opted to be seated with the firelord and those accompanying her, leaving one seat remaining, next to Asami.

"Hey! Sorry I'm late! We were finishing up out at the island and time ran kind of short!" she said, seating herself beside Asami. Beneath the table Mako's hand remained off the surface with respect to the décor that was placed. Everything had been neatly and professionally arranged, the cloth napkins having been folded in an artistic fashion, place upon pristine flatware. Mako felt her take his hand, and as he felt this he looked over to her, who gave him a side-eye look. He blushed for a moment, and smiling he tried to make further complements upon her appearance.

"You… You really are beautiful tonight-I mean.. not that you're-not beautiful at any other time, it's just-" he was elbowed by Opal who had sat next to him giggling at him stumbling over his words and unable to take any more of the comic situation, "Sorry, I-uh…," he began again, "I am really captivated by how you look this evening."

"Thank you," she said smirking at him. Mako looked over at Asami and Korra and turned back to Eska.

"Do you think she recognizes us still?" he asks her quietly.

"Why wouldn't she?" she inquired.

"Well, to be fair, I hardly recognized you when you stepped out to me a little bit ago." She tilted her head and nodded.

"Korra," she remarked, and Korra responded by looking over to where her name had been raised. She looked over to Eska.

"Hi! What's your name again?" she inquired. Eska and Mako snickered at the question, "Sorry, I know your face, but I'm just, really bad with names!"

"Eska," she raised, grinning slightly. Korra's face lit up, eying Eska, and attempting to find Desna, and being shocked that she is unable to do so.

"Hey! It's so good to see You!" she said rounding the table to embrace her cousin on the other side. She got to the other side and looked at her side before doing a double-take and realizing not only was her cousin present but as was Mako.

"Mako?!" her eyes went a bit wide with surprise. She reached the other arm around his neck and embraced the two of them together, both with slightly perturbed looks on their faces.

"Where have you guys been!? It's been so long since I've heard anything!" The two looked to each other.

"It's kind of a long story," Mako responded, "but I ended up in the Northern Water Tribe doing some security work. Quite a bit has happened since I left Republic City."

"Well, I mean we'd love to hear about all of it, and we do have time this evening!" Bolin stated aloud as the others looked to him and nodded. He looked over at Eska,

"Do you want to tell the story?" he inquired amusingly.

"This is your endeavor," she said, grinning and shaking her head.

"Well… Where do I begin?" he asks as the others begin to tune in.

"At the beginning son," Suyin snarkily remarked as the others briefly laughed. He began with his time working for Zuko and Izumi within the fire nation, running through to the point where he met with a pair of 'grandmasters' of firebending who gave him a number of visions. As he spoke, Kya walked in, entering the dining area where Mako flagged her down.

"Would you like to sit with us this evening? We would love to have you!" he said to her happily, and she agreed to joining them, complementing Eska's appearance of the hour. Mako continued his story, passing through the point where he was discharged from the fire nation and found work in the northern water tribe where he met Eska. He began work, and ended up eventually thwarting a terrorist organization, escaping several massive explosions in one piece, getting to be with Korra's parents, exploring the spirit world, and thwarting a few assassination attempts, however he left out the part regarding the matter of what happened after the two had narrowly escaped death for the first time.

"After the organization had been dealt with, I proposed to Eska before the tribe, and she accepted, so we will be married, and I will have a position in the office of the high council of the Northern Water Tribe," Mako finished with the other faces seemingly in awe.

"Wow… that-that's quite an eventful year or so," Korra said nervously.

"Hey, are you okay?" asked Asami.

"Yeah, I just got really dizzy for a moment. I think it might be the hairspray I used making me nauseous. I think I might step outside for a moment," she said, standing and navigating her way to the balcony. There was chatter among the people at the table.

"Did she seem okay to you?" he asked Bolin, who shrugged in response.

"Mako," Eska softly remarked, looking at him sideways, "You should go talk to her."

"Are you sure, I know how-"

"I know too, and I'm right here in the case that I need to throw you over the railing, so keep that in mind when you do," she said as Mako grinned, kissing her on the cheek, before standing, pushing his chair in, and navigating his way to the balcony.

"I'm sorry, it's just a shock to me to hear all of the sudden that my daughter is courting the Chief of the Northern Water Tribe, I mean, such a relationship obviously would have international implications," remarked Izumi.

"Is.." Desna began, "Is this okay, my lord? That I see your daughter?"

"Well of course. You are clearly a successful man and a highly-influential political figure; I don't know if I could have found a better husband for my daughter." The two reacted a bit nervously, "Is everything alright, Ursa?"

"Well, yes mother. Desna and I have been seeing each other for a short time is all and the prospect of marriage is a bit… foreign to us is all," Ursa remarked.

"I can understand that. I just, wish you would have told me sooner," Izumi responded, her tone trailing off a bit. Ursa sighed deeply for a moment, and as she did, Desna placed his hand upon her leg, and she looked over and smiled gently.

"Are you alright?" he asked. She gently nodded, placing her hand atop his beneath the table. Soon enough, the band begin to play, having tuned preliminarily, and they started with the latest charts.

"You… Are

The promised kiss of springtime…

That makes the lonely winter… Grow short…"

As the band began, several waiters came out, and served each placeholder on every table, whether it was occupied or otherwise. Mako made his way outside to see Korra standing at the very large balcony. He walked over next to her and leaned onto the railing next to her.

"How are you holding up?" he asked.

"I'm fine… it's just," she began, "When you left… I felt so, so bad about what I did that day, and I tried to find you to see if I couldn't help make things better… but you just disappeared," she said, her tone softening.

"I know; I was discharged from my job because of the eye, and I had to find new work soon. I didn't know how to tell everyone that I was leaving, and part of me wondered if they still cared, or if they'd moved on with their lives."

"Of course I care Mako," she said looking over to him, "you're one of my best friends, and when you left it… it really broke me up."

"I'm sorry. Looking back, I feel like I could have handled it better, but after everything had gone down I just felt bad and wanted to get away," he said to her, "When I left though, I felt like I had found so many new things, that I couldn't have found otherwise."

Korra looked over to him, "Like what?" she asked.

"Those grandmasters I mentioned, they weren't just ordinary masters… they were dragons, and they didn't just show me moves, they gave me visions," he told her as her eyes widened, "I met Kya and she taught me about spirituality, and she took me through a lot of things that happened throughout my life that I had never dealt with directly before, and I found healing and a whole new perspective on life."

He looked over to her, "Your parents, Korra, they treated me like I was one of their own… It had been so long since I've seen my mother, but the love that your parents showed me reminded me of what it was like when I didn't have to look over my shoulder so often."

"That sounds like Mom," she said looking out over the city.

"The masters directed me into the spirit world, where I saw Zuko, after he had left us… They led me to Xai Bau's grove."

Korra turned to him in shock, her eyes a little wide, "Xai Bau's grove? Why there?"

"They wanted me to get into contact with the Red Lotus, and I met so many people that had grown up just like I did," he said, "I met P'li, the firebender, and she taught me all about opening my mind, so that I could use this," he said pointing to the node.

"That's why you have that! I knew it looked familiar. So wait, you can… blow stuff up with your mind now?!" she asked excitedly, "You have got to show me how you do this!" she said.

"I have a week here in Republic City, so I suppose I could show you a thing or two," he said to her, "but only outside the city, this bending is very dangerous, and I don't want to blow up a dumpster or something and get canned," he said. She laughed at the remark.

"There's more that I would like to talk to you about though…" he said to her somberly.

"What's wrong?"

"Something bad happened… while we were trying to deal with those terrorists. I wanted to explain it earlier, but couldn't figure out how to say it," he said looking her in the eye. Her expression turned worried.

"Eska and I…" he paused.

"… had sex?" she whispered. He recoiled and blushed.

"Nononono that's not-"

"But you have, haven't you?" she smirked placing her hand on her hip.

"No, that's not…well-" he shook his head while grinning for a second.

"Listen, Eska and I died…" She stared blankly for a moment before her head tilted a fair ninety degrees and her eyes became very narrow.

"I know, I know, it all sounds so crazy… because it really, really is… but when she and I made it out of that building I said the terrorists blew up, you remember that right?" he asked as she nodded in response, "Well… apparently we hit the water… really, really hard, because by the time I was on the table in the hospital… I had… left."

"Wait… so you just…. Died?" she asked.

"I had been vomiting blood and bile for the entire hour before I flatlined. They tried to revive me… but when I woke up… I was in this pool," he said, "I met a spirit that called herself Yue."

"The moon spirits?" she asked as he nodded.

"She told me I wasn't going to die, and she baptized me in the pool," he said to her. She nods reaching out to the third eye to touch it without thinking much of it, but when she brushed it, she gasped and fell onto the railing, shaking in her whole body.

"Korra!" he proclaimed, lowering her to the ground. Her mind was compulsively filled with visions of a tragic tale, the spirit world journey and everything that had been fulfilled. She reclaimed her breathing and propped herself up.

"I saw it! I saw all of it!" she said.

"All of what?" he asked her.

"I saw the moon spirit, I saw Eska and she just… She was-"

"Unhinged?" he asked.

"… yeah," she continued.

"Listen, I need you to do me a favor… Eska has no memory of what happened then," he said as Korra took a distraught look on her face, covering her mouth in shock, "No matter what happens… Eska cannot learn about what happened that night!" he said to her.

"Hey… is everything okay?" asked Eska from the door to the balcony.

"Yes, Korra just is sick to her stomach is all," he said to her in response. Korra looked over and nodded.

"Let me help you cousin, let us get you to a bathroom, swiftly," she said, escorting the dizzied Korra to the ladies' room in the corner of the hall. Mako waited until they had left.

"Spirits, that's not going to settle well," Mako said aloud.

"That's rough buddy," said a custodian behind him, shaking his head.

Desna tilted his head for a few moments at his food as the other representatives from the fire nation looked over toward him.

"Is everything alright? Desna?" inquired Izumi.

"I am alright I assure you; I have… just never really partaken of such cuisine and I'm afraid that I don't even know what it is for that matter," he said, picking at the cuts of white meat, marinated, and sauced atop jasmine rice.

"You have never had Komodo Chicken before?" Ursa turned to him and asked.

"I have never even heard of such a thing until today," he returned.

"Well, if you are comfortable eating it, I suggest that you are in for a treat. The chefs catering here today are world-renowned, and this is some of the most succulent meat that I have been served in quite some time," Izumi said, gracefully partaking of her meal. Desna handled his sticks less than gracefully eying the others and how they handle their own as they eat and proceeding to model their form. He quickly caught on, though not fluent, and found himself stumbling on occasion. He partook of a cut of the ember island fowl and perked his head up slightly.

"Is it alright?" asked Ursa.

"I've never tried white meat that wasn't dry or fish in over a decade now. I must say that this is exquisite," he remarked, continuing to eat away despite his lack of dexterous proficiency. Ursa giggled lightly at the sight, as it was amusing to watch him stumble, but also endearing in a way.

Korra stumbled into the bathroom as Eska guided her, preventing her from being sprawled out on the floor.

"Have you consumed anything alcoholic within the past twelve hours?" inquired Eska.

"No, no I haven't done anything like that I-!" Korra immediately leaned into the stall to vomit, and Eska handed her a few paper towels, "I'm so sorry I don't know what happened out there."

"Perhaps it was the fumes of the city or the view from the balcony which gave you vertigo," she proposed.

"I… I don't know," she said, sitting with her back against the wall.

"I came to attempt to aid you as soon as I noticed that you had collapsed from inside, I was an afraid of you hitting your head on the railing," she said, sitting next to Korra.

"Wh-What?" Korra asked, breathing deeply, "What happened to you?" she asked.

"What do you mean Korra?" she asked, tilting her head slightly.

"Every memory I have of you and Desna, you were always together," she began, "I had no idea of how to talk to you or be around you, and you always kind of scared me as a kid, and now…" she looked to Eska who had a straight-faced appearance, but still appeared confused.

"You guys have your own lives and personalities, and you care about other people, and I've just felt so cut off from you and Mako and my parents and Desna that I feel so bad for being absent through it all," she went on, her voice breaking. Eska placed her hand on Korra's knee.

"We had no intentions of making you feel left out my dear cousin," Eska began, "You needn't feel responsible for your absence through any of it. You are the avatar, and you have duties to a world that needs you."

"I know it's just… I really felt bad when Mako left. I felt like I had forced him out of his job and the city by doing what I did," she said with resignation, "I didn't mean to really hurt him, I just…" she paused.

"Just what, cousin?"

"I felt so mad about our history between him, and me, and Asami, and I didn't want to lose her, so I did what I always do, and I tried to fight my way through the situation, but I ended up hurting one of my best friends." She spoke. There was a moment of silence.

"Korra," Eska began, "Fate has been an interesting theme as of late with all of the events that had occurred within the last year. I have seen spirits, terrorists, and I have seen things I still don't understand, but one thing I have come to believe about all of what had occurred, is that none of it was simple coincidence, not even in the slightest."

"You sound like Tenzin," Korra remarked.

"We have spent time with him as well."

"What you did that day wronged him and you know that" she said as Korra looked on in despair, "but it also sent him my way…" she said softly.

"I know I have a history with his younger brother, and that I wasn't personally developed enough for a relationship at the time to know how to interact with another properly. The only boys I had known until then were my father and Desna," she remarked, "But when I met Mako things changed, and with time, I found that even though I will always need my brother, I don't always need to be beside him. Mako listened to me and gave me his love, even before he had any idea of what we had become together." Korra teared lightly, wiping away at her eyes.

"I'm sorry, I'm just so happy for you two…" she said sniffling for a moment, "When I touched the tattoo on his forehead… I saw what happened." Eska tilted her head once more inquisitively, "I mean, I saw what all you two went through and the stuff from the last year and the visions he had."

"How…. How much did you see?"

"Oh, just about all of the prior few weeks, and the vision is what made me all shaky and my stomach so upset."

"That makes some sense, it has been chaotic in the last few weeks… Did you see anything…" Korra looked over to Eska as she paused, "… personal?" she asked. Korra paused for a moment looking on again.

"… maybe a little," she whispered, unable to help herself from giggling.

"But I promise I won't tell anyone or tease you about it! I swear!" she proclaimed. Eska giggled a bit.

"It's alright; I understand that you weren't able to help what all you saw, but if you could just keep it with discretion I ask."

"Absolutely, I promise…" she said in return. There was a moment of silence between the two in the bathroom, "… you guys are kinky," she remarked softly; Eska smirked.

"I mean I always knew you would be a really good domme, and that's just the vibe you give off, but you are really, really sexy," she continued gently.

"I'll take that as a complement," she smirked giving her a side eye. The door to the bathroom opened and Korra flushed out the stall, the paper towels with it.

"Hey! I heard you got sick, are you doing alright?" asked Asami as she approached the two.

"Yeah, Eska helped me into the bathroom earlier and I got sick for a moment, but everything feels fine now," she said, moving over to wash her hands, rinsing her mouth thoroughly, and using waterbending to clean herself down.

"Okay, I'll head back to the table, they have Komodo Chicken," she said leaving thereafter. Eska washed her own hands and dried herself, and as she finished Korra wrapped her arms over Eska's shoulders.

"I love you guys so much. I can't tell you how much I've missed you," she said holding her. Eska Returned the embrace gently.

"We love you too cousin."

At the table of the firelord, most of those present finished their meals with satisfaction, and simply spoke with one another, preserving conversations regarding anything but politics and work, as such subjects were not fit for such an evening. The sweet-voiced vocalist at the microphone before the band began to sing again to a slow tune as pairs of people, couples, and all, began to gather on the floor to sway, in a low and sweet way.

"… I stand… at your gate,

And the song, that I sing… is of moonlight.

I stand, and I wait,

For the touch of your hand in the June night,

The roses … are sighing…

'a Moonlight… Serenade…"

Ursa looked over and observed Desna in the dim lights, his appeal was strong and masculine in the outfit he wore, flattering his jawline.

"I can feel you staring at me," he said smirking.

"I'm sorry I couldn't help it," she said giggling and blushing. She looked over at the floor again, "Here, come this way with me," she said, taking him by the hand.

"To do what?" he inquired, visibly nervous and resisting the pull of her hand. She turned back to him.

"I want for you to dance with me," she said, looking up to him with sparkling eyes.

"I…" he began as she tilted her own head inquisitively, "I'm afraid I've never done such a thing before, much less… with a girl… other than Eska anyway."

"Perfect! Now I can teach you," she said, defying his reluctance with a tug onto the dance floor, he followed gracefully behind her. As they reached an open spot on the floor. She guided his hand around her waist and placed hers upon his shoulder, taking his hand with hers, extending it slightly outward.

"Just sway with me here as I do," she said in a near whisper. He appeared nervous but found himself gradually absorbed into her eyes behind crystal lenses. The lenses were an endearing factor, bringing attention to one of her most captivating elements. They gently swayed on with the music.

"Allow your hips to move buoyantly, like water," she said to him. He nodded, and with this remark he loosened himself.

"So don't let me wait…

Come to me – tenderly, in the June night.

I stand at your gate, and I sing you a song, in the moonlight…"

He, with the song reminiscent of the moon, saw his mother again, standing within the fountain beneath the light of the benevolent one, and his eyes glistened for a moment, and his gaze on her wandered to the background.

"Is something wrong, love?" she asked, her voice sweetly and softly toned.

"I'm sorry, it's just that occasionally I have some moments where my memories bother me," he mentions, "It's happened a few times since the last few weeks, and I have moments where I get really emotional… especially when I think about the moon," he said to her. The song ends with a flourish of the woodwinds, proceeding with a pause before moving to the next tune.

"Moon, river… wider than a mile…" the contralto vocalist sang lowly and sweetly to the dancers swaying.

"Could I perhaps listen to you speak about them?" she asked him. He looked confused for a moment.

"Why do you suppose you would want to do that?" he asked her in return.

"Well… Often when I find the opportunity to listen to others… not advising or suggesting, or even talking really, I find that I have a new understanding of whoever I listen to, and that I find a lot of insight into my own problems," she said to him as they continued to sway, "… and … I think I care about you." He paused for a moment, and as the tune fished with a modulation, gently leaned in to kiss her, and he sweetly led her from the floor as the vocalist continued with the next tune.

"Sometimes, I wonder why I spend….

The lonely nights… dreaming of a song,

The memory, haunts my reverie,

of paradise where love was new…"

They proceeded to the tune, moving around the dining section to not disturb anyone, and they stepped outside onto the balcony, where the music played lightly in the background. He looked her in the eye, holding her close to him, but looking out to the city, she rested her head on this chest.

"Recently," he began, "I lost my mother to a really tragic incident involving the spirits at the north pole. I watched her leave us behind. She was banished when I was a child from the tribe because of her split from my father, and I remember that I loved her growing up so much," he began to break down, "When she left, it tore Eska and I to pieces, and the fact that our father wouldn't allow us to see her made it so much worse. It was only recently that we got to see her again, when she came to our aid, but the time we had together was cut short. I don't know how to explain all of what happened, but she gave her life for Eska to survive something very morbid that had occurred…"

She raised her head from his chest to see him breathe very deeply with his eyes shut.

"… and I watched her leave us…" There was a moment of silence of him breathing deeply and regaining his composure.

"And now every time that I think, or hear, or see the moon… I think of her and what she gave that day," he said.

"I'm sorry… I know you didn't need this today, being it's supposed to be a good day."

"… It still is dear," she said to him, turning his chin back toward her.

"Grief is love, and love is a truly beautiful thing, even if we have lost the subject of our admiration," she said.

"…Who was it that said that?" he asked, "That quote is familiar."

"My grandfather used to tell it to me, saying that he got it from his uncle… the wisest man he had ever known. I wish I would have known him myself."

"Thank you, Ursa, that you listen to me means more to me than you know," he said to her as they held each other close. She leaned into him, nuzzling against his chest to rest for a moment.

At the table where Mako and the others continued to sit, they swapped stories of everything that had gone on at the air temples, at Zaofu, here in Republic City, in the North and South Poles, and they all shared plenty of laughs. The band signaled the downbeat of another slow tune, and Eska perked up.

"Mako," she prompted him, "will you dance with me?" she asked, giving him eyes. He smiled, nodding to her, and took her hand and escorted her from the table to the floor. They gently set up according to the way that Mako led her into. She came closer to him, and they gently swayed, looking one another in their eyes. Eska recognized the introduction to the next tune.

"… When I hear that serenade in blue,

I'm somewhere in another world, alone with you…"

The others gazed over at the two from the table pointing to the couple.

"Korra… are you crying?" asked Asami quietly.

"No," she laughed as she wiped her tears, "I'm not crying… they just look so good together and I'm so happy for them, and…" she put her head down on the table next to Opal who patted her on the back.

"Hey! And it looks like the 'assassins' showed up on time too," said Mako near the end of the dance.

"Tell me darling, is there still a spark…"

"Really, where do you see him?" she asked

"Or only lonely ashes, of the flame we knew…"

"They're up with a few friends on the beams overhead. Do you see them?"

"Oh I se-…"

"Should I go on, whistling in the dark?..."

"Guys, the caterers are handing out the remaining bottles of champagne!" Bolin said, having approached the table.

"That's not Bolin!" Eska said desperately

"Serenaaade…"

"Wait, Bolin? You hired Bolin?!"

"In…"

"Get everyone out of here now! This is a killbox!" she shouted to him.

"Bluuue…" and as the band flourished in response, crossbows were fired. Lin kicked up the table immediately and hurled her chair toward the rafters. Men went down immediately after the firing, and there was screaming and running all about. The band scattered and Eska ran over to the ice water bowl, hurling icicles from it toward the ceiling, knocking soldiers that came crashing down onto the tables below, beneath many were people hiding.

Outside, on the balcony, still in one another's arms, Desna heard the screaming and snapped his head in that direction, scanning the environment when he heard a whizzing sound fly past his ear. The next few seconds happened in slow motion, in which he dragged Ursa to the ground screaming at everyone to get down into cover. One of the partygoers had a bolt lodged into his hip and was groaning in agony.

"Stay down!" he said standing up as bolts whirred past his ears. He spotted a water tower and ripped it in half, shielding he and Ursa in a massive whirl. He looked around and spotted them all along the rooftops, all dressed in black tactical gear. With a single motion, he swept them all off the platforms to the pavement many floors below.

After taking out the platoon he turned to the inside breaking down the door to pour into the chamber where he throttled a volley of needles into the roof all along the rafters where the soldiers hid. He heard a scream, and looked over to witness Ursa wrestling off one of them

"You keep your filthy hands off of her!" he said, violently lashing a whip of water that sent the assassin flying far over the railing.

"We have to get the firelord out of here!" Lin shouted, now facing a large platoon of soldiers on the ground. Raising their arms, Suyin and Lin collectively employed an army of silverware, directed at their foes. Korra evacuated Asami, while Bolin and Mako defended the firelord from another squad that had just rappelled from the roof, crashing through the window with electricity coursing through the gloves they wore. Mako spit blued fire out to the squad of soldiers which fired bolts at them continuously. The tables were awful cover, hardly doing anything to keep the bolts from going through.

"A little help over here!" Mako shouted.

"I'm sorry! There's no rocks over here!" said Bolin desperately picking up a chair and pounding back assailants. Bodies fell as Desna continued taking out the men from above, when he and Ursa found themselves surrounded from the outside of the balcony where more men rappelled from above.

Desna swiftly grabbed his woman and directed the water around the two of them, and with a swirl, he navigated them to the roof, washing away hostiles as they came. He put her down behind an AC unit atop the roof before receiving further assault from all sides. He rode the wave around, washing and lashing out his opponents, while furiously tossing away others. He sent icicles with prejudice against the sides of the roof where rappel cords had been locked, and as it collapsed, a platoon of men fell downward with the barrier, unable to unhook themselves in time.

A hostile approached Ursa, sneaking behind the AC unit to where she was, and as he did, she screamed, removing a stiletto from her robe, and hurling it at her attacker; the attacker screamed and Desna turned, his hair now completely fallen out of form, back to its long and untethered character. He immediately hosed the man, who fell over the edge of the barrier.

A team of fire benders stepped forward from the others and began spitting dragonfire upon the attendants of the banquet. Korra returned with Asami having left the premises with Wu and the remaining of the potential hostages who would be more vulnerable to attack.

"Mako! Get your ass on the line and take out those benders!" Lin shouted.

"Oh I'm way ahead of you!" he growled viciously, boarding a table, and leaping over fire before spitting lighting, hitting one in the gut. He swept one from his feet and swept the others with violet hues of bright light. Suddenly, he was hit with a bolt of fire that knocked him back, tumbling him past the other tables, propped by the hostages.

"Oh it's on," he said removing the headband that covered his eye.

"Mako no!" shouted Eska.

"Why not?!"

"Because you'll blow us all to pieces!" shouted Suyin. He growled and rolled out from behind the tables, inhaling deeply and distinctly as their eyes went wide.

"PFHEW!" a bolt fired from his forehead swerved and smacked into a group of soldiers behind temporary barriers, sending them hurling out the entrance. Mako rushed the blast zone, smacking down the assailants with fire. Suyin dove forward past the barriers to the stage, snatching horns and shattering them to launch sharpened bolts of metal to the assailants.

Desna was hit with a sudden burst of air which sent him tumbling. The water he once held fell, soaking the roof. He stood, only to be blasted again with a current of unimaginable force. He hit the AC unit flat on his back and grunted as he did so. He looked to see his opponent that blasted him against the unit again with a rush of air that filled his eye sockets. He rushed to cover his eyes as his nose bled profusely, only to be hit by another blast. He groaned nightmarishly. Ursa stood behind him hurling another blade, taking its rightful place within the assailant's leg.

"Ursa!" He choked out desperately. As the airbender turned his head, Desna reached up to grab him with a puddle of water, freezing him to the rooftop as the ice crawled across his body, until he broke free, shattering the ice. Desna stood up with a limp and whipped him, violently lashing him with water as he was weighed down by the ice that clung to his arm. Desna was blasted off balance by a sudden blast of air from his free arm. Desna reached to grab him and freeze his other arm, and the airbender found himself overencumbered.

"Desna!" she shouted desperately, hanging over the edge, as he turned the airbender threw himself on the ground, hard, shattering the ice across his body. He jumped up free into the air, bursting a drop kick spitefully at where Ursa hung on.

"Ursa!" he immediately dove after her, with a water tower across the road ripping open and enveloping them in a nova-like whirl of a river, slowly descending the rest of the way into a sphere swirling like a globe just above the street. Desna stood atop it, Ursa's arms tightly wrapped around his waist and with a wave of his arms, he ripped a score of fire hydrants, across the block from their foundations and rose vengefully upon a massive vortex of water. His facial expression was one of condemnation.

Two arms emerged from a disc of water upon his back. He reared back and with a furious face, lashed the airbender off the roof with a horrifying torrent of water. He looked to the banquet floor where people were waving, signaling the fight inside wasn't over. He snapped out of his trance for a moment and looked down to see Ursa fighting to keep a hold on him. He took his darling in one of his arms and with his other unleashed a torrent with judgement into the side of the hotel, washing out hostiles against walls and decimating the enemy. He looked over to witness a platoon of armored vans hauling for dear life, leaving brothers behind, and he breathed deeply, and reared the arm of a god above him, reaching out and ensnaring the vehicles and lifting them before him. He felt a hand grab the collar of his chest piece and looked down witnessing a terrified face. He felt guilt, and breathed deeply again, before setting the vehicles down on their sides and lowering himself to the ground.

All the members at the banquet ran to view the scene, as did most of the block, quite close for his comfort. He lowered himself atop the vortex to the street where all the water flooded outward into storm drains. The police immediately poured in from their perimeter barriers, ripping off doors to vans and throwing the men inside onto the streets.

When he finally reached the ground atop a calmer bulge of water from the streets, he held Ursa, with a terrified expression, now without her lenses.

"Hey, I've got you, I promise," he assures her. She climbs up and wraps her arms around her shoulders and he took hold of her, bridal style. Both breathed heavily and looked at one another. His leg touched the ground and he collapsed, his face contorted with pain, though he did not cry out.

"Desna!" Ursa said, dragging him against her and holding him up.

"My leg," he choked out, still bleeding from his nose. His eyes had ruptured blood vessels in them and were painful to look out from.

"It's okay! I've got you," she said to him.

Mako stood first to scope the scene, vaulting over the tables to view the clearing in the other room. Not a soul insight, as everyone and the furniture had been washed away as if a dam had broken through the lobby of the ballroom.

"Mako! What's the word on the scene?!"

"Not a soul in sight Chief!" he said.

"Get the firelord out of here! Now!" Lin shouted as her guards worked to evacuate the scene. Mako ran back in.

"Eska! Where are you?" he asked aloud… no response. The hairs on his back stood up.

"Eska?!"

"Mako!" she shouted from behind a few tables. Mako ran over to aid her.

"You're hurt!" he said to her.

"It's just my leg, my left leg, it hurts!" She said with a whimper.

"Mako! Let me help!" Kya shouted, preparing water from a skin, placing it upon her hands, "Alright Eska, I'm going to have to realign your leg a bit, but this is going to hurt, okay?" she said.

Mako folded a napkin and told her to bite on it, which she certainly did with wide eyes when Kya made the move, groaning into the cloth, leaning onto Mako.

"Alright, now tell me when it begins to feel better!" she said aloud, and soon, Eska felt relief.

"She needs to stay off this leg. I'm going to check for any more wounded," Kya said, standing and returning the water to the skin

"Thank you, Kya!" Mako said, still holding Eska.

"This has to be the first fight I've seen you come out of without a scratch… This isn't how I wanted this evening to go," Eska said.

"I know, not really how I planned it either. How about I take you up to the room? You need to be off your feet anyway," he said to her.

"Do you know if they will vacate the building?" she asked.

"I doubt it, I didn't see any damage but furniture and windows, and these buildings are strong to take on tropical storms and tidal waves, so I don't think it will hurt it too much, but I'll avoid the elevator for now."

"You're going to carry me up four flights of stairs?" she asked, smirking, as he picked her up. He took her to the stairwell, and she leaned her head onto his shoulder and wrapped her arms around him.

"I love you," she said to him, looking over at him.

"… I love you too Eska," he told her.

"I-… I didn't; I hardly knew you were a waterbender." Said Ursa as the firelord exited the building.

"Ursa!" she shouted at them from across the street and ran to them.

"I'm so glad you two are okay!" she said, stooping down into the water and mud to embrace them both where one laid against the other, "I cannot thank you enough for protecting my daughter, you are a truly wonderful young man."

"You have a wonderful daughter, such is fitting I find," he choked out to her, smiling from where he laid still against her. His voice was hoarse and his vocal cords irritated. He hacked away, coughing up a bit of blood. Ursa smiled and kissed him upon his face, still wet from the torrent. Izumi held them again. Medics came over to aid him where he lay, carefully splinting his leg to not cause him anymore pain and relieving him with an opioid. He felt peace, and he was surely tired, and thus fell asleep to the sight of Ursa leaned over him. She took his hand and the two rode the ambulance to the hospital with him.

Mako placed her in the bed, removing her shoes for her, and sitting next to her.

"Is there anything else I can get you tonight?" he asks her as she lays in bed. She looks at him, and there is little light in the room. She looks at him from where she lay.

"Is there any chance that I can get you to stay with me this evening?" she inquired softly.

"I have to go downstairs t-"

"You are not a police officer anymore Mako, you are mine now," she remarked, cutting him off.

"I'll be in the next room then, just let me know if you need me," he said to her, placing his hand upon her hip. He began to leave the room for a moment when he hears a voice, nearly at a whisper, but with a little voice behind it, he turned to witness her standing, gracefully atop one foot, as her balance was remarkable.

"Mako," she said.

"What's the matter sweetheart?" he inquired. She gracefully and slowly motioned the zipper from the top of her dress to the bottom, and gently lowered it, gravity doing much of the work, but needing assistance to pass over her hips. Beneath this, she wore a lace bralette, black, and a garter belt with black stockings and undergarments to match. He was taken aback for a moment by the sight as the dress slipped to the floor.

"… I need you…" she said softly. His heartbeat from out of his chest at the sight of her this way, in full view of her silhouette in front of what little light shone through the window. He observed every inch of her for a moment, taking all her in.

"Won't some-"

"Nobody will disturb us this night, I need you to trust me," she said. He slowly approached her, taking her from where she stood and laying her onto the bed. She reached for him, gently undoing the buttons of his coat. She skillfully worked at the button-up beneath it, and the undershirt, all would be shed this evening. She demanded he come closer, and that he did, that she may reach with her hand to his chest feeling the oils of his skin down the center of his sternum. She ran her hand along his shoulders, rounded and broad, and down his abdomen, fair skinned and muscular. It wasn't hard the way she had originally conceived musculature to be, but it was flesh all the same as any. She breathed him in deeply as he approached her, kissing her softly as she ran her hand down to where his hip bones protruded below his waist. He laid next to her, exploring her too with hands of his own.

Her shoulders and arms, feminine and delicate, her neck, where the softest of most of her skin reside, he noted. He ran his fingers through her hair, gently scratching, and she leaned back into his hand as a cat might, her eyes nearly rolled back into her head in reaction to this refreshment. Her hair became gently messy before she halted him. He leaned into her, kissing her neck, and lying beside her while facing her, he ran his hand up her leg, and she bent her knee, bringing it over him as his hand wandered over her hips and up the side of her abdomen, and further upward, running his finger beneath the border of the bralette, which she took from the lower seam and pulled over her head, revealing herself to him.

He took in the purest character of her form, only inhibited by the necklace, which she preferred to stay on during the act. He leaned into her again, leading a trail of lips from her own, down just beneath her jaw, to her neck, and down to the center of her chest from which a sweet fragrance radiated. He brought his hand around the outside of her breast and trailed his lips, kissing until he reached something of substance. He used his tongue to gently tickle the area of her areola, massaging and gently suckling until it became fully engorged with arousal. He gently tickled the tip, before pulling himself away for a moment to meet her own lips and tongue.

He returned to the act, but with more fervor and she gasped, exhibiting bodily excitement with squirming, and writhing where she lay next to him in the bed. As he does this, he simultaneously turns his attention to the fold of her hips, placing his hand there and massaging it until it felt warm to the touch, moving centerward, and gently, bluntly kneading the area with the palm of his own hand. She groaned as he stretched and released the skin rhythmically, and in circular motion. She bit her lip and looked to him. He jumped up and nibbled her earlobe before kissing her again. She wrapped her hands around the back of his head, guiding him down her abdomen, and he gently kissed the area in question as she grabbed the pillow and moaned, breathing very deeply as she ran her fingers through the hair on the back of his head.

He gently took hold of the garter belt ensemble, and gently guided them down, that she be exposed in her full form. As he reaches the very end of her leg, he pressed his thumb upward into her feet along her arches, kneading the tissue and tendons until warm. This gave her cause to roll and present both feet to him which he kneaded and stimulated, digging heavily into her heel, an act at which she gently moaned. He joined her on the bed again, and she jumped onto him, quickly unfastening his belt and whatever kept his trousers up before tearing them off him and gazing at his own form. She ran her hands along the abdominal belt which presented itself bordering along the hips and down into his nether region. She massaged him just as he had done unto her, until the whole area felt warm to the touch, and she leaned forward to kiss him on his abdomen, running her hands down his hips, removing whatever garment remained. She reached off the bed on the nightstand, acquiring that which Kya had provided for her earlier.

"I suspect you had a talk with Kya?" he asked.

"How does one use such a thing?" she inquired.

He opened it along the packaging seam and placed her hand along the tip before aiding her in unravelling it downward.

He invited her under the covers, which she tore from the bed and threw herself beneath. Still beneath the covers, she straddled him, pinning his hands above his head, and kissing him passionately, slipping her tongue into his mouth to gently nuzzle his own, and as she did so, she found her way slowly down, in which they both groaned, making it all the way in, as she lean over him, still pinning his arms down that she may do as she pleases. Her jaw trembled with anticipation as his hands reached to take hold of her hips, guiding her gently up and down. The arch of her back moves fluidly and flowfully according to the motion, and soon enough, the covers were thrown off.

"I love you," she said looking down upon him who was now deep inside of her.

"I love you too," he returned, gazing into her eyes. She lowered one of her hands to massage the area just above where he was inside of her.

"What are you doing there?" he asks at a whisper, and she looks down to him, taking one of his hands and guiding him to her desired location, directing him into a gently circular motion around it, never on it, occasionally correcting his motion as she continued, and as a few moments, her pleasure visibly progressed, and her face contorted, as if in agony, but of a more desirable kind. Her breathing became audible and rhythmic, and she began to moan aloud, her jaw dropping, countered by her biting her lip to prevent the neighbors from understanding what was transpiring in their room that evening. Her pace steadied at a medium tempo, not fast, but certainly not slow as she continued directing his motion, feeling a warmth rise within him.

"Right there… J-just like that," she let out with a slight whimper. He felt his body gradually be overencumbered in warmth and his head suddenly become lighter, desiring for her to continue, but faster as the pleasure and stimulation was building, but regardless of this, she directed his pacing. He groaned with her, encouraging her along. Had someone been standing outside the door, they likely would be of full understanding of what the room held, two lovers in complete and total indulgent ecstasy. She sped the process along, quickening the pace, and suddenly her breathing stopped, and she grabbed a pillow and moaned without any inhibition of her innermost pleasures and emotions. She sped the paced again until he gripped the sheets of the bed, and she heard his breathing speed up into gasping, where she felt the pulsation of him throbbing within her, warm and succulent.

"… keep going… please," he said through the end, prolonging the overwhelming ecstasy of the climax, and gradually he guided her hips to cease the action. Their eyes remained closed and their breathing heavy. They opened them to see one another, and withholding onto the cover, she gently pulls herself off, lying beside him, gazing at him. She is breathing deeply, and smiling so authentically, and the sight of this brings warmth into his heart. He draws her in, embracing her and kissing her all over as she laughs gently and candidly.

She draws the covers back up over the two of them and nuzzles against him in the darkness of the night. He tries to get up, but she pulls him back in.

"Just thirty minutes, my dear turtle-duck," she said.

Desna woke, placed on a bed in the middle of a room. He looked around to see the firelord and her daughter sleeping in a few hospital chairs. His chest piece had been unfastened and removed, and the leg bracer on the affected leg had also been removed. The door suddenly opened, gently and Kya emerged through with a doctor. He didn't move too much, attempting to capture a fragment of their conversation.

"There are a number of fractures and cracks from the impact, however all of these should heal in a two-week's time assuming proper rest and healing procedures are adopted," the doctor said regarding test results. Kya opened her waterskin and deployed a fair portion of water, and Desna felt stimulation deeply within his leg, and he winced for a moment, looking up at her.

"Oh hey! You're awake! Quite a fight you were in, I saw you from the window," she said softly to not wake the two sleeping in the room.

"What hour is it?" he inquired.

"It is around four after midnight," Kya responded, "Things are still getting cleared up around the hotel, but everyone turned out alright save for a number of injuries. Well… except for the people that tried to kill us," she said.

"So, I'm just supposed to stay in bed a few weeks?" he asked.

"Oh no, you don't have to stay in bed, in fact it would be ideal if you didn't, but you just need to stay off that leg. From what it looks like, you got hit hard," she said pointing at the ankle."

"Any other news regarding the attackers?" he asked.

"We don't have any information on them just yet, but the police have quite a few of them in custody at the moment," she said. She looked over at the two sleeping in the room, "That was really brave, what you did back there; not a lot of people would have been willing to do so much for someone that they had just met."

"She and I have become something of an item recently, and I was simply looking out for her is all."

"You saved her life, Desna," she said, laying her hand on his shoulder as he lies on the table, "Once again, you are a hero, and a truly wonderful brother."

He laid his head back down to look to the ceiling, "I certainly try to be," he said. Kya left the room briefly, and the door was left slightly open, where Mako peeked inside. Desna gave a signal for quiet, pointing toward the sleeping two. Ursa stirred just slightly as he pointed however, and Izumi began to wake from her rest to see the others in the room.

"Mako, it's good to see you!" she said to him smiling gently, as Ursa was still waking. As the two woke, Eska hobbled in, propping herself with a crutch for stability, but remaining off her bad leg, which had been splinted formally. She came over to see her brother.

"Your prowess in combat has never failed to astound me brother," she said to him, placing her hand upon his face.

"Thank you Eska," he responded.

"I should be grateful to you, being we were overwhelmed very quickly with attackers, and you managed to clean out most of them single-handedly."

"Not single-handedly, don't disproportionalize this, and you did have the avatar with you," he smirked.

"Who was busy at the time with prince Wu, evacuating civilians. I'm very proud of you," she said, "You've always come through for me as a brother, and I couldn't have asked for anyone better." Ursa approached the table and Eska turned to her.

Eska smirked for a moment, "Is this the woman I have heard that you have been cop-"

"Formally seeing… yes… yes, this is the girl," he said laying back on the table as Ursa looked over at him with a raised eyebrow.

"I haven't told anyone about our moments together, I promise, but I think some people have jumped to some conclusions a bit," he said to her on the side to not let anyone hear it.

"Don't worry about it, dear, it's not too big of a deal," she responded.

"I just care about your reputation is all," he remarked.

"Perhaps you could leave that to me," she said, pecking his lips for a moment.

"How are you feeling?" he asked her.

"I don't think my feelings are of prime concern at the moment, I'm not the one sprawled across a table," she remarked snarkily.

"I ask because I care about your feelings, and for someone who likely doesn't encounter such events often, such an incident could be… shocking to say the least."

"Oh, it was, and I may have nightmares for a few weeks about it, but as long as I can wake up next to you on occasion, I don't think it will have unsettled me terribly much. My life has been dreadfully boring in these last few months, and I could have used something exciting in case you haven't been able to tell."

"How long are you in town?" he asked her.

"For a week approximately, long enough for you to take me out a few times at least," she said smiling, looking around for a few seconds, "and if you are nice to me, I might take you in," she whisperingly added.

"You are going to get me killed woman," he said under his breath as she giggled with a ladylike appearance. Izumi approached the two at the table with a grin and a slightly raised eyebrow at her daughter.

"Wholesome talk I hope," she said to them, "How are you feeling?" she asked.

"I am significantly sore, but other than some minor discomfort I am doing well."

"From what I saw you are a very strong waterbender, that was a remarkable feat of skill you exhibited out there," she continued.

"I have trained for all of my life. My father taught my sister and I very rigorously as children, and even beyond his passing I have trained to become one of the best."

"Who was your father may I ask?"

Desna paused for a good moment, suddenly aware that he had not told either of them yet, "His name was Unalaq… and yes, the one that tried to take over the world and plunge it into eternal darkness," he thought about saying for a moment.

"He was the chief of the northern water tribe who ended up caught in a civil conflict and died in the fighting," Eska interjected, looking to Desna.

"That is the idea certainly," he said looking off to the side, "Izumi, Ursa, this is my twin sister, Eska. She is chiefess of the Northern Water tribe, and Mako's fiancée." The three shook hands, with gentle bows to one another out of respect.

"Your father sounds like quite a noble man to have raised such strong, and successful children," she said to them.

"He certainly was something alright," Desna responded.

"… and if I haven't already expressed this to you," she stated, placing her hand upon his chest, "You have my ecstatic approval in seeing my daughter."

"Thank you, firelord Izumi," he said reverently, looking over to Ursa and smiling.

"Kya?" he requested, as she made her way to the table.

"Is there any other damage I ought to be aware of that you found?" he asked of her.

"Well, there was substantial damage to your face, as you took quite a few blasts from that airbender, and It ruptured a lot of blood vessels in your face, mouth, throat, nose, and eyes, but I managed to repair most of it. The tissue should repair itself very quickly and should be cleared up in a few days, other than that, you pulled an intercostal muscle which should take some time and rehab, but you looked great otherwise," she said to him.

"You did good out there Desna, we're proud of you," Mako told him.

"Perhaps we should get you back to the hotel to rest soon," Eska prompted.

"Good point, I will send for a nurse to have him splinted and put in a wheelchair, and we should be able to walk him back home. The hotel is right around the corner," Kya said, stepping out of the room.

"After we get you back, it would be advisable we all get plenty of rest for the remainder of the morning," Eska continued. The door opened, and Korra emerged with a few more in tow.

"Desna!" she said, "I'm glad you're okay! I saw you out there; that waterbending was insane!" she said.

"So was I for a moment or two," he rolled his eyes as Eska kissed him on his forehead before stepping out with Mako to allow for more room around the hospital bed.

"You did have a look in your eye for a moment or two, I was afraid for you, but you snapped out of it as soon as I grabbed you," Ursa told him, gently stroking his face.

"All things considered, the situation was dire, and they were moving in on everyone very quickly. Grave times often call for dire efforts," Izumi justified. The others within the room nodded in agreement. Eventually Kya returned with the nurse and requested that everyone clear the room. Desna laid back for the procedure, falling asleep soon after he rest his head.

The morning came, and everyone rested past the sunrise, which was strange for anyone in the group. Mako woke, laid next to Eska, who was fairly dressed down. He stared up at the ceiling before steadily making his way out of bed. He was shirtless, but his trousers remain on, and he sat at the edge of the bed rubbing his eyes. Eska stirred slightly but did not wake. He looked over to find Kya asleep alone in her own bed, and he donned his shirt soon, deeming himself to have slept plenty. He peaked into the next room, finding Desna and Ursa together in one bed, with the other occupied by Korra and Asami. He grinned at the sight and worked his way into the shoes he brought with him to the city. He quietly filled a pitcher of water for the day, partaking of it heavily, counteracting his usual morning dehydration. He refilled it and placed it upon Eska's bedside table.

There was a light knock on the door, which he swiftly, but quietly answered, stepping outside.

"Mako, is Kya inside?" asked Tenzin.

"Yes, she and the others are sleeping. Everyone was up until four in the morning last night.

"Oh, I understand. We wanted to invite you all to dinner at the island. Pema read in the newspaper of last night's events, and we decided together that it would be a wonderful opportunity to have everyone back together for an evening before Kya and I leave for the evening."

"That… that sounds great actually," Mako said, delighted to hear the news, "What time will this be?"

"This dinner will be held seven hours after midday this evening," said Tenzin, "I'm glad that you all came out of that okay. I still don't understand what has so many groups all over the world so active as of recent."

"I wish I could tell you," Mako said.

"You should rest for now, you look very tired," Tenzin told him. Mako nodded to him, reentering the room to see Kya having awoken to the sound of others talking outside.

"Was that Tenzin?" she inquired sleepily.

"Yeah, he stopped by to tell us that he wants to get everybody back together for a dinner before you guys leave for the south pole this evening, considering last night's dinner didn't go as expected," he said to her softly, so to not wake the others.

"What's got you up and around so early?" she asked.

"I just woke up and decided I had slept enough. I planned on going for a walk, maybe stopping for tea. Would you like to join?" he asked.

"Sure!" she said, "If you would give me a moment to prepare."

They walked down the sidewalk, and reached a small café, the same one in which Kya and Desna had dined at the day prior to yesterday. Mako ordered a Black Coffee, a Fire Nation import, while Kya ordered a Jasmine, and they both ordered a pastry alongside this.

"You've come quite a long way spiritually since we started the sessions, I forgot that we haven't had our last one yet," she said to him.

"I suppose, I don't have much to say about it at the moment being it is so early in the morning, but it has been a fascinating journey, and I do have time this afternoon if you still want to sit down together," he said.

"I would be delighted to do just that," she said as she sipped.

"I suspect you and Eska talked," he said as she her eyes went wide and she choked for a moment, hacking away.

"I'm so sorry, are you okay?" he asked.

"Oh, I'm fine. I won't reveal too much of the details, but she simply decided that she was interested in… enticing you that evening, so I provided her with a few pointers and materials is all," she said.

"Can you believe the way she looked last night?" he asked.

"I know! She was gorgeous! I'm surprised you two didn't go upstairs any sooner," she snickered.

"Wait, she told you about what happened?"

"No, she didn't tell me anything, I promise, but when I heard that you two went upstairs, and once we hadn't seen you in a little while I figured you two could've used a moment together to maybe take the edge off, if you know what I mean anyway," she said giving him a side-eye. There was a pause for a moment and his facial expression changed as he took another sip of tea.

"Do you think that we will ever get around to telling her about what all happened that night?" he asked.

"Which ni- Oh… I'm not sure," she said, "I would think that she would eventually find out for herself, but I don't want that happening by accident."

"Lin told me about some medicinal work that she had done as she was in Zaofu when the red lotus was chasing Korra. She said that acupuncture unlocked some memories that had previously been blocked off in her system; what if we had her go to Zaofu for something similar?" he inquired.

"We could certainly do that, but I think I am far more concerned with her reaction to discovering the events than I am her actually discovering them. It could really damage her I think if she ended up discovering it, and she could end up with flashbacks of the events, and that… I don't want that for her," she said softly.

"I'll work to make sure it isn't brought up then; I'll look after her, I promise," he told her as she smiled.

"Oh Mako," she said, smiling warmly and taking his hand, "I know you will." The two continued to gently sip during the morning stirring within the café.

"Have you thought about the wedding much?"

Desna gently stirred in the bed, stretching as he woke, flat on the bed. He looked around to evaluate his surroundings and seeing Ursa asleep next to him. He leaned over, kissing her on the forehead, and navigating his way into the wheelchair to fetch water for the morning.

"Good morning brother," Eska said, startling him slightly and kissing him atop his head.

"Good morning Eska," he returned softly. She gave him the pitcher which had already been filled, and he took part in it, leaning back into his chair.

"I will take you and the other two to breakfast this morning," she said to him, tempering the volume of her voice.

"Such sounds like a pleasant proposition, is there food served within the lobby?"

"I suppose so; If the restaurant is anything of what It was when we were here prior, then I suspect that the quality is quite reputable.

The other two awoke to the twins already awake and conversing with one another quietly.

"How is your leg feeling?" he asked her.

"My leg will be just fine; it is yours that I am concerned regarding."

"I genuinely think you should be the one with the chair. All I have are several fractures, meanwhile your leg was broken by a table? Correct me if I'm mistaken."

"Kya was able to restore my leg for the most part, yours however, will take longer to heal, and that is why you are the one in the chair," Korra inserted.

"It's good to see you awake, cousin Korra," Desna said softly as Asami stirred lightly, raising her head and messy hair to the soft conversation going.

"We are going to breakfast, and you will come with us," Eska told her.

"Oh, umm, okay. I definitely can't argue with food," Korra responded, fastening her moccasins.

"Asami, get up, we're going to breakfast," Korra told her. She groaned in response to Korra's amusement.

"How about you two head down there, and we will catch up after I finish dragging her out," Korra prompted. The other two nodded in agreement. Desna had already donned some light clothing that wouldn't cause him to overheat, and Eska donned her tunic, allowing for her arms to go unveiled. They exited the room, Eska rolling him to the elevator.

"I've missed getting to be around you so much," he said to her, "I would be lying if I claimed I wasn't having any trouble establishing independence of my own. You seem to be doing significantly better than I am at this," he said to her as she looks down to him within the elevator.

"I miss my brother a lot you should know; I look like I may be faring well, often because I am around Mako so much now. He has encouraged me to become something new, something that I want to be," she said to him.

"It makes me happy to know that he supports you so much. It's been so long since I had seen you so animated or joyful; you may not notice it, but I do," he told her as the elevator began to make its way down the shaft.

"It makes me happy to be with him," she said, placing a hand on her necklace which she had never removed since receiving, "… and I know for certain that with time," the doors opened," she will help you to become someone that you want to be." As the doors opened to the lobby, Ursa and Izumi stood, walking to meet them.

"I hope so… I really haven't known what to do without my sister," he said, his voice softening.

"You're doing wonderfully my brother," she said, stopping and stepping in front of the chair, lightly leaning to meet him face-to-face, "Give it time, and I know you will become someone new and truly admirable… I say that as if you aren't already those things," she said, lovingly scratching his head.

"I'm really glad you didn't hit your head," Ursa said, "That airbender hit you really hard."

"I'm grateful as well; of all the ways that fight could have turned, I'm glad it was only my leg that was taken," he responded.

"You have quite a wonderful attitude for someone who fought off a number of assassins," Izumi remarked.

"I have had plentiful experience dealing with assassins, thieves, and terrorists, being the chief at such a pivotal time for the water tribe, so my experience here was nothing that I wasn't prepared for," he said to her, "Would you like to join us for breakfast?" he asked of them.

"I was prepared to ask you the same thing," Izumi said to him delightedly, "I want to hear more about you."

"Would you mind taking him princess Ursa? I have just found that I have left my personal handbag within my room, and I must go up to retrieve it. While I am up, I plan on sending Korra and Asami off to tell them that you have joined us," Eska inquired.

"I would be happy to do so, Lady Eska," she said to her, making her way around to Desna's chair. Eska left, and the three began toward the dining hall.

"So, tell me Chief Desna, how long have you been chief?" inquired Izumi.

"I inherited the position at the age of twenty-one, after my father had passed, thus I have been present as chief for nearly three years now," he responded to her.

"How have things been taking on such a position at such a young age?" Izumi inquired.

"Mother are all of these questions-?"

"I just want to know more Ursa, I should know who my daughter is seeing shouldn't I? Do tell me however if you feel uncomfortable, please," Izumi interjected politely.

"It is not much trouble; I find that I enjoy speaking with you and Ursa. Since I have inherited the position, I must say that the job itself is very tedious," he began, "I am to attend to the minutia of each day governmentally and to oversee the administrative council. As much as the importance of the spiritual element of my work is emphasized, especially as of recent, I find that it has become greatly difficult to manage my own spiritual progress in conjunction with all of the work that the position encompasses."

"That certainly sounds like quite a bit to deal with. I had always conceived you to be a very mature person. I had believed initially you were much older than that; hearing how much you have taken on at such a young age, it seems like it would be harrowing to deal with. I had inherited my own position of firelord after you had taken your position as chief." They arrived at the dining hall, where a waiter had removed a chair out of respect, offering them the table for the morning. Ursa rolled him to the side, where he locked the brake, and she took a seat beside him.

"How have you been emotionally, may I ask?" Izumi inquired of him.

"These past few weeks have been some of the most harrowing of my life I will admit. I'm thankful to have known Ursa and Mako as supportive friends. Losing my mother, I think is what hit me the hardest. There were some dramatic events that happened leading up to that moment that I think I could only describe as traumatic."

"I'm so sorry to hear that," she said to him, "I know that losing a parent is always a truly harrowing thing to endure, and it is so awful that you are so young to have endured so much. I'm sorry if I have stirred any feelings regarding it, it's just that losing my father in these last few weeks has had a deeply noticeable effect in my own life."

"I would be happy to talk with you more about it soon if you wish, especially if you felt it would help each of us," he proposed. She paused for a moment, before silently nodding and smiling to agree.

Korra, Asami, and Eska had all emerged into the dining hall, seeing the three and joining them immediately. They were served soon thereafter, meals traditional to the earth kingdom, served with rice.

Mako and Kya sat together within a room within a temple just down the street, having returned from their breakfast quite satisfied, ordering food soon after their tea. Kya lit a light incense burner, and the two began with their backs pressed to one another, becoming acutely aware of one-another's breathing patterns in the silence. The residual whir of the background of the city was silenced, and their minds cleared soon.

She stood before him, and began her routine, drawing spirit water from her waterskin, and encompassing him gently, and flowfully. She spent a substantial amount of time, observing each pool of energy within him and it's vibrance. She highlighted the paths between them, emerging to the final two, upon which the two breathed deeply. The tendrils lit golden as she worked her way up, and his mark began to glow upon his head, and as she continued, it was drawn upward,"

"Spirits…" she whispered, "… it's like, you're a wellspring."

Energy poured out from him, in the form of warmth, and the room filled with calm. He was compelled to inhale very deeply, and his eyes glowed for a moment, golden, the way his third eye then glowed, and he was no longer with Kya. He sat before dragons once more, lucid, and aware, and calm. The two masters orbited him gracefully in a familiar dance before they rested gently upon the ground, but this time, he was not afraid.

"Take heed and shepherd your fire as a heart, young one. Your very presence will be life and peace, and according to such, may the ground you walk on quake beneath your feet. From your hands, fire will be begotten, bringing warmth and health to those who are in need, and retribution, no, judgement upon the unjust and the immoral. Go now…"

"Go in peace…"

Fire of all colors encompassed him in a vortex of spirit intertwined with the material, and as his eyes opened from his body again, he glowed, his body in a newfound radiation of light and warmth whose feel could only be described as life-bringing. Upon the roof of the temple, they could hear rain, steadily beginning to patter over them. The glow dissipated, and he looked at his hands in sudden awareness.

"How do you feel?" she asked softly.

"I feel… so light, as if I am hardly touching the ground anymore," he said, his voice calm and gentle.

"Your destiny awaits you," she said softly in finality, bowing gently, "Go in peace…"

"Thank you… sifu Kya."

The sun had long since lowered into the fourth quarter of the sky, and glowed red in the humidity, creating a haze across the Republic City skyline. Kya and Mako paid a ferry cab toll for them to be taken across the channel to the island. They spent the day since the morning in deep meditation and in a new, profound peace. They soon arrived, finding several bison, grazing in the pastures of the island, and lowing in the distance. They marveled for a moment at the sheer size and grace of the creatures, before stepping onto the pier and bidding thanks to the pilot. The island was silent, which was strange for an isle that ought to be filled with airbenders. They suddenly heard a howl and two distinct screams in the distance… and stamping footsteps.

"No! Naga! Stop!" he heard in conjunction with screams, looking around to see what a polar bear-dog at a full gallop toward him could only be; wearing his light uniform. Mako jumped and sprinted in the opposite direction.

"Nonononononope!" he shouted, running across the deck of the pier and diving into the water… only to be directly followed by a polar bear-dog mounted by Asami and Korra into the bay. The four sank into the waters only to emerge laughing hysterically with Mako being "rescued" by Naga by the collar of his uniform.

"Naga! It's good to see you too girl!" he said petting the wet dog with a strong hold on his shirt.

"Mako! Are you okay?!" shouted Kya.

"It's all good! She was just happy to see me!" he said in return. They emerged from the waters, Mako steaming the water from his clothes and Korra blowing herself dry with a swift wind. The two were met with a raised eyebrow from a soaked Asami. Korra "Gently" aided her with a course of wind through her clothes which left her hair untended and her makeup slightly smeared.

"Umm… Thanks, I guess."

"Sorry," Korra winced. Asami laughed for a moment.

"You're lucky you're cute," Asami said, smirking and rolling her eyes.

"Hey guys! Come on in! the dinner's already started!" shouted Kya from the house.

The three of them entered the main building to witness the entire group welcome them happily. Opal, Bolin, Tenzin, and Pema were seated on the far side of the table. Bumi, and Kya seated near the righthand corner. Eska, Desna, Ursa, and Izumi were seated on another side of the table. On the opposite side from them sat the children as well as Lin and Suyin, both happy to be in attendance.

"Prospective husband, be seated here," she told him as he grinned in amusement, and sat next to her.

"Mako!" the three children noticed in unison, jumping, and running to meet him and wrap their arms around him where he sat. With them, Rohan also joined them

"Hey! You guys have grown so much! Look at this little kid," he said, propping up Rohan on his leg who giggled at him. Eska looked and smiled very warmly at the sight of him with a child, and she stared for a moment.

"Alright kids, now be seated again," Tenzin prompted them as they returned to their chairs. With them, sat Korra and Asami. Now that the table had filled Tenzin offered to utter a prayer over the group, and as he stood, he spoke:

"We give thanks and hold gratitude within our hearts to be among one another as a family once again. Though time has drawn us all down different paths, and we have found new loves and new adventures in our times apart, may our paths always be intertwined to meet each other time and again, that we will never forget one another. May our journeys lead to great things, each one of us, and may we all partake in joy, and in peace."

The group partook of the meal just as they had done many times before, ecstatic to see one another. There were smiles on one another's faces as they each told the stories of their adventures and amusing mishaps. The children were bright-eyed each of them, save Rohan, with a new arrow donned upon their foreheads, Meelo having recently earned his own through newfound focus and maturity, yielding him much like the image of Aang in character, and even appearance. Mako looked and found Jinora staring at him on occasion, with a tilted head.

"Is everything okay?" he asked, grinning at her confusion.

"Oh… yes, sorry!" Kai entered and sat beside her, having arrived slightly late. The two of them were now sixteen and pondering the thought of marriage to one another.

Lin looked substantially younger, her skin softened, and her hair darkened. Having left the stress of her work on the police force, with the aid of her sister, she revitalized her health and her diet, looking to be nearly a different person.

Now that the children were more mature, Tenzin and Pema found themselves sleeping more often than before, looking younger and more refreshed than they had in a long time. Bolin and Opal pondered marriage to one another, so they discussed.

Mako looked around to them and breathed deeply in relaxation after finishing what he ate, and a warmth filled the room that everyone noticed.

"Does anyone feel that?" Jinora raised, looking to Mako again.

"Feel what Jinora?" Ikki inquired.

"I don't know… It's like a heat or an energy. I don't know how to describe it."

"Probably just some spirit world stuff coming from the portal," Korra responded, "You should eat, you don't want to be hungry for the trip!"

"I have plenty of food packed for the Journey to the western air temple, but Korra is right sweetie. Please eat up, as we don't want anything going bad or anyone going hungry," Pema added.

Mako aided the others in gathering the dishes as , and clearing the table, a task at which the children were now quite regimented. Dishes were cleaned and returned to their places quite quickly, much to Pema's pleasure who thanked everyone for the help, telling the children to go pack and ready the bison for departure. The entire group, including Korra and Asami, boarding a future industries airship, began to prepare to leave, and many long-awaited hugs were exchanged. Jinora finally reached Mako and paused for a moment. She was tall, though not as tall as Mako.

"It's you," she said, smiling gently.

"What do you mean?" he asked.

"I can feel something about you, it's changed so dramatically. I feel when you walk in the room, and it gets warmer. It's your energy that I'm picking up!" she said to him.

"He and I have worked so hard at opening him up to the spiritual. I'm proud to see how incredibly far he has come," Kya said, interjecting, "Are you all packed and ready to go?"

"Yes! Kai and I are ready, and I packed a couple of scrolls to read through on the way!" she said excitedly.

"I'd be okay if Kya told you all about it; it's been a quite a journey Jinora," he said to her.

"Go strap in now, I'll tell you about it on the way, how's that sound?" Kya asked.

"I'll go get Kai!" she said running off.

As she left, Kya turned to the two, Eska and Mako.

"I love you both… so much," she said, embracing both. The two of them embraced her in return. Kya kissed both all over their faces as they smiled. She pulled away in tears.

"Thank you… Kya," Mako said, wrapping his arm around Eska.

"Thank you… Mako," she said to him, "Come down to the South and visit us or I will have to come up there!" she said, smiling through her eyes glistening.

"Eska is hoping to make it to the south for a weekend out of every month, and the spirit portals will help us with that," he told her. She paused for a moment.

"Goodbye, you two," she said, crying gently, turning to mount aboard Jinora's bison. Jinora waved to Tenzin, who leaded the herd into the sky, as Mako and Eska both watched, both through tears of their own.

Desna sat in his wheelchair, with Ursa to his right, and Lord Izumi closely standing behind him.

"Goodbye, my friends," he said aloud. Ursa noted this, taking hold of his hand.

Mako held Eska very tightly, and through her crying she inquired, "Is it bad that I already want to have one of your children, already?" Mako turned to her, smiling warmly, and kissing her on top of her head sweetly, returning to watch the bison depart into the distance of the evening sun.

The sun was very red in the hazy evening sky, and out of the remaining storm clouds that lay upon the horizon, there appeared a rainbow, embellishing the red and orange hues that shone upon them from the distance.

… Like the reds of the sun graduated with the blues of the remainder of the sky…

…So, fire, met ice…

Series this work belongs to: