Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warnings:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Anonymous
Stats:
Published:
2021-09-06
Updated:
2023-11-01
Words:
123,802
Chapters:
53/?
Comments:
509
Kudos:
1,018
Bookmarks:
176
Hits:
34,658

Legends of the Crown

Chapter 50

Notes:

Hey! Yup I’m back again. My laptop charger broke like over a month ago and it’s been a nightmare getting a new one. I’m so sorry!!!

But here we go, enjoy the chapter and I’ll try not to vanish off the face of the earth again any time soon :P

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Niki grits her teeth to conceal any sound of pain as she shakily clambers off of Clementine. Technoblade is already halfway towards the gates of the fort, with Antfrost under his arm. Jack hurries to her side, slinging her arm over his shoulder as the pair stumble after the others. Tommy follows on unsteady feet, arms wrapped around himself to block the bitterness of the winters’ night.

 

When the gate opens, Lord Commander Sam stands on the other side, illuminated by the torch he holds up. Others join him, rushing out to help everyone into the safety of the fort. Sapnap stays at his side, a hand on his back, gently pushing him forwards. Tommy catches a glimpse of the dark blood staining the white ground and tears his eyes away, allowing the hybrid to guide him.

 


 

The dining hall is empty and dark. The wooden walls rattle in the harsh winds outside. Tommy grips the bowl of broth in front of him tightly, bringing the warmth back into his numb fingers. Distantly he hears the sound of a door opening, and heavy footsteps thumping against the floorboards. The chair beside him is pulled out and someone sits down with an exhausted sigh.

 

“Niki’s okay.” Comes Technoblade’s deep voice. “She lost a lot of blood but she’s going to be fine.”

 

“Thank you.” Tommy murmurs. “And your friend?” 

 

“We don’t know yet.” Tommy nods, going back to staring at the table. The bowl in his hands is beginning to go cold.

 

“Do we stand a chance against the White-Eyes?” He questions. Technoblade tilts his head, thinking.

 

“If we can get Quackity and Exdee on our side? Maybe.” Tommy frowns, tapping a finger against his bowl and watching the broth ripple, then he chuckles.

 

“It would be disappointing if I made it all the way to the Antarctic Empire only for us all to fucking die anyway.” He tries to swallow past the lump in his throat, turning to look at the man beside him.

 

“Well then we’d better not die, we barely even know each other yet.” The older says, eventually, finally making eye contact with the younger. Tommy shrinks under his gaze, biting his lip nervously.

 

“Wilbur said that you’re dull.” He stammers. Technoblade cracks a smile.

 

“Wilbur takes great enjoyment from insulting me.” He replies. “You should finish that before it gets cold.” He points to the blonde’s bowl.

 

“It’s already cold. Besides, I’ve lost my appetite.” He whispers. Technoblade stares at the young Emperor’s solemn face.

 

“You did good today, you’re a brave kid.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

“And I’m sorry for how I acted when we first met. It was unfair of me to take my frustrations towards Wilbur out on you.” Technoblade stutters, awkwardly. Tommy blinks up at him in surprise.

 

“It’s okay.” He says. The Prince shakes his head.

 

“No it’s not.”

 

“Well I forgive you.” The blonde insists, fighting back a smile.

 

“Thank you.” He responds, uncomfortably. Tommy snickers under his breath and Technoblade narrows his eyes. “What?”

 

“Wilbur said you’re not good at dealing with your emotions as well.” Rolling his eyes, Technoblade slouches back in his seat.

 

“Of course he did. What else did he tell you?” He huffs.

 

“He said you’re not as scary as you look.”

 

“That’s not true. I’m a lot scarier than I look.” He scoffs, crossing his arms while Tommy giggles. The door opens again and Sapnap and Sam walk in, talking quietly to one another. Sam sits down opposite them, while Sapnap sits beside Tommy.

 

“Antfrost is doing alright.” Sapnap informs the pair. Technoblade nods, a flicker of relief flashing across his face.

 

“So you convinced your brother?” The Lord Commander guesses.

 

“Yeah. We’re bringing the White-Eye we captured to a meeting with Lord Quackity in a few days' time.” He explains. 

 

“I see.” He says. “I think we’re running out of time.” He hesitantly adds.

 

“I know.” Technoblade replies.

 

“What else needs to be done?” Tommy quietly asks. 

 

“Well,” Technoblade sighs, “We need netherite, there’s no doubt about that. We could have the greatest army the world has ever seen, but without netherite it would be useless.”

 

“So we have to go to the Nether.” Sapnap grumbles.

 

“It seems that way.” The Prince murmurs, tiredly. He turns to Sam. “You should come back with us. We could use your help.” The man shakes his head, a solemn smile on his face. 

 

“My place is here. I vowed to guard the Border and that’s what I’ll do.”

 

“When Herobrine attacks the Border you won’t stand a chance.” Technoblade warns him.

 

“But someone needs to be here when they do, I can give you a heads up.” He states calmly, rising from his seat. “We have a few spare rooms, you can stay the night.”

 

“Thank you.” Technoblade responds, appreciatively as the man silently leaves the room.

 

“I’m going to check on the others.” Sapnap murmurs, placing his empty bowl down and standing. He pats Tommy’s shoulder on his way out, flashing the younger a smile. “Make sure you get some sleep.” Tommy nods mutely, watching him leave. 

 

“Come on.” Technoblade says from beside him, suddenly. “I know my way around this place, I’ll find us somewhere to get a few hours of sleep.” 

 

“No, I-“ The Prince shoots him a stern look that has Tommy immediately shutting his mouth and rising from his seat, reluctantly following after the other. 

 


 

As the doors open before him, Wilbur takes in a deep breath, straightening his back and lifting his head. Beyond the courtyard gates come the confused mutters of his people, who’ve gathered in the streets to hear his speech. Lady Puffy walks to his side, flashing him an encouraging smile.

 

“My people already think low of me.” The King murmurs under his breath.

 

“It doesn’t matter what they think.” She says, firmly. “This is what needs to be done. They will understand soon enough.” Sighing, Wilbur walks out into the snow. He makes his way down the steps, Puffy at his side, and guards positioned in every possible place. A far off shriek comes from above and he looks up to see one of the dragons high in the sky. It calms him, if only a little.

 

The gate rises once he nears, revealing the curious gazes of his people. They fall silent at his presence, staring expectantly. His crown feels heavy atop his head as he stares back.

 

“People of L’Manberg.” He begins, looking out at the crowded streets before him. “These past months have been difficult for us all, with the death of my father and the war that has been thrust upon us. I know you are all tired, hungry and afraid for the lives of those you care for, your families, your children. However a new issue has arisen.” He glances at Puffy, who stands off to the side, she gives him a reassuring nod, and he turns back to the silent crowd.

 

“My brother, Prince Technoblade, arrived back in L’Manberg barely a week ago, as I’m sure you’re all aware. He brought with him news of a threat in the FarLands, a threat that affects our Empire, a war larger than any our Empire has faced in a thousand years. We will need to put our differences aside in order to have any chance of defeating this enemy, even if this means putting our war against the South on hold.” Wilbur pauses as people begin to protest, calling out angrily and moving towards him. His guards move to alertness, creating a barrier and holding people back.

 

“I understand your frustration, I can assure you. I would not ask this of you if I didn’t think it was the only way. An army is coming, an army of the dead, and I know how hard it is to believe, but this news came directly from my brother whom I trust with my life. The only way we have any chance against them is if we all fight together.” The shouting continues, and Wilbur clenches his fists at his sides. Watching the angry faces below spit harsh words at him, pushing against the guards holding them away.

 

“Silence!” He shouts, voice lost to the screaming below. Closing his eyes, he tries to block the sound out, a frustrating feeling of hopelessness building in his stomach. When he looks to Puffy again, she looks as lost as he feels, despite how she tries to hide it. He debates turning around and walking back into the safety and silence of the castle, when suddenly a deep roar comes from behind him. He turns to see Shroud appear from behind the castle, swooping down and landing on the wall next to the King. He roars again, a sound so deafening Wilbur’s ears ring. The dragon flicks his head to Wilbur, tilting it like a puppy and grumbling softly. The King briefly turns back to the crowd that has finally fallen silent, before looking back to the dragon, silently thanking the creature. Shroud releases a gentle sort of purring noise before retreating down from the wall and into the courtyard, curling up into a giant heap on the snow. Wilbur turns back to the crowd.

 

“When I was crowned your King, I swore to protect my people from all that may seek to harm us, and to guide our Empire through darkness and light.” Wilbur starts, hesitantly. “And I intended to keep those vows until the day I die. Every decision I have made since then has been in order to keep each and every one of you safe. My decision to form a truce with Lord Quackity was not one I wanted to make, but I cast aside my own selfish wishes once I realised that this was the only possible way we could ever have a chance at getting through this dark time.” 

 

“This winter is going to be the harshest in a thousand years, I need you all to do as I command if you want your children to live to see another summer.” Wilbur stops, waiting for another shout of protest. When nothing but silence follows, he allows himself a victorious smile.

 


 

“What’s your opinion on Dream?” Karl asks, abruptly. Foolish turns to him, raising an eyebrow.

 

“What do you mean?” He questions, carefully. Sighing, Karl leans away from the desk, hands dropping into his lap.

 

“What do you think of him?”

 

“I think he’s a smart man,” Foolish says, carefully. “Dangerous.”

 

“Dangerous?” The Lord urges.

 

“Unpredictable.” Foolish continues, looking away. Karl sighs, frustratedly.

 

“Would you stop using single words and answer my question?”

 

“Why does my opinion on Dream matter so much to you?” Foolish blurts, exasperated. 

 

“Well I hardly know anything about him, I’m just curious.” He shrugs.

 

“That’s exactly what makes him dangerous.” Foolish murmurs quietly, glancing to the door as though someone might hear. Karl narrows his eyes.

 

“So you don’t trust him?” Foolish begins to reply but stops, shutting his mouth and staring down at the floor. “You can tell me. I won’t be angry.” He teases, trying to lighten the atmosphere. When the other remains quiet Karl’s smile drops. “Look, Quackity has told me he doesn’t trust Dream, and even George suggested I couldn’t-”

 

“You spoke to George about Dream?” Foolish chokes, eyes wide. 

 

“Well, sort of.”

 

“Karl!” He snaps.

 

“What? I was just curious, I asked a few questions.” Foolish shakes his head, shutting his eyes.

 

“You have to be careful who you discuss these things with. If you say something to the wrong person-”

 

“You think Dream would do something if he thought I’m suspicious of him?” Karl asks, hesitantly.

 

“I don’t know, Karl, but you can’t take chances like that.” He mutters. Karl falls quiet, thinking of the implications of the statement. He shuffles in his seat uncomfortably.

 

“I don’t think we should have allied with Dream.” He whispers, barely loud enough for the other to hear. “He kidnapped Prince Theseus, he can’t be a good person. If I were Quackity I wouldn’t have associated with him at all.”

 

“I know.” Foolish replies. “That’s the difference between you and Quackity.”

 

“What do you mean?” He asks, softly. Foolish just sighs, standing up.

 

“It doesn’t matter.” He says. “Just make sure these conversations stay between us, okay?” He walks to the door reaching for the handle, when Karl quickly stands.

 

“I think you’re the only person I know I can trust, Foolish.” He blurts. Foolish smiles, turning to face the other as he opens the door.

 

“Always, My Lord.”

 


 

Technoblade watches as Tommy gently helps Niki onto Clementine. Jack stands below, keeping a careful eye on the pair, while Sapnap and Antfrost laugh between one another, ready to follow the others onto the dragon's back. The sun is low in the sky, casting an orange hue across the sparkling fields of snow. 

 

“Thank you for letting us stay the night.” The Prince says, turning to Sam.

 

“Of course, I wish you a safe journey back to L’Manberg.” He replies. Technoblade takes a step forwards before pausing, a frown resting on his face.

 

“Good luck.” He murmurs. Sam pats his shoulder lightly.

 

“And you.” He responds. Technoblade continues forwards, stepping up onto the dragon and accepting Antfrost’s outstretched hand. Once he’s seated, Tommy looks back, eyes raking over them all before landing on his brother. The Prince gives him a small nod, and the younger smiles turning back and muttering something to the dragon. Soon enough the group are back in the sky, leaving the Border behind.

Notes:

How are we all? I hope this chapter is okay, I probably shouldn’t be posting it when I’m so sleep deprived and it’s barely proof read but it’s been so long since I’ve been able to actually post a chapter I don’t really care if I’ve made any mistakes. I’ll sort any out later lmao

Stay safe <3