Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Twilight Fanfiction
Stats:
Published:
2021-07-18
Updated:
2021-12-17
Words:
125,929
Chapters:
29/?
Comments:
665
Kudos:
1,545
Bookmarks:
497
Hits:
43,603

Chapter 5: V

Notes:

Beta'd by the magnificent MandaLyn!

Thank you for all the comments and kudos, I'm really excited for y'all to see where this goes.

Edited 07/08/21 ~ minor (much needed) changes!

Chapter Text

The rain was a light drizzle by the time Bella made it to the rendezvous spot, her hair soaked from walking in the rain; she felt rather revitalized by the experience. The cold, however, she still wasn’t fond of. Jasper and Alice were already waiting by the side of the road, sitting in Jasper’s silver Mercedes. As she walked nearer, both doors opened and Bella took a deep breath; readying herself for the first time she would see Alice since her 18th birthday party. Bella kept her eyes on the road until she was standing a few feet away, only then did she look up. Like Jasper, it was rather painful to see Alice hadn’t physically changed at all. It made Bella feel old which was bizarre considering she knew both Alice and Jasper were immortal beings born lifetimes ago. Alice stood, staring, and Bella knew by the downward curve of her lips that she wanted to reach out and hug Bella, but she didn’t. Bella was relieved. The anger she’d felt thinking about everything was replaced by a gutting sadness, and she felt as though she couldn’t breathe. Jasper stepped forwards, drawing her attention, concern on his face. 

“Deep breaths, Bella,” he said, and she felt him ease her turmoil to something manageable. She immediately felt embarrassed that they’d witnessed her break in composure, and stepped back to put more space between herself and them. 

“Bella,” Alice said sadly and Bella clenched her jaw at the sound of her voice. How she used to dream she’d receive a phone call with Alice on the other end, telling her they’d made a mistake and that they were coming back for her. Now, though, it only made Bella feel conflicted and sick. “I’m so sorry, Bella. I’m so sorry.” The tone was hard to swallow too because Bella imagined that if Alice could cry, she would. It made her feel guilty, which in turn made her feel annoyed. It was them that should feel guilty, not her. She was just responding to seeing someone upset, knowing she could comfort her if she wanted to. “We thought we were saving you, doing what was best to keep you safe.” Bella smiled to herself in disbelief, looking almost manic in her rising irritation. 

“Please, don’t,” she said, leveling Alice with a look devoid of any fondness. “I don’t want to know.” Both Alice and Jasper looked forlorn but Bella didn’t - couldn’t - trust that it was genuine. If being abandoned by people who considered her family had taught her anything, it was that callousness wore many faces, and vampires were professional in deceit. Fortunately for Bella, Sam emerged from the trees wearing only shorts. She was envious of his ability to stay warm now as they stood on the empty road, rain soaking through her sweater. 

“Bella,” Sam greeted. Though she was feeling incredibly on edge, she was still able to be genuinely pleased at seeing Sam; she walked forward with no hesitation to accept his one-armed hug. During the year she and Jake had dated, most of the pack had treated her like a family friend, even though everyone was aware Jake hadn’t actually imprinted on her. She used to hang out at Sam and Emily’s, baking muffins which Jake, Sam, and Jared would inevitably eat within minutes of them being served. 

“Always forget how hot you run,” Bella said, shivering when she pulled out of his embrace, the cold replacing the momentary relief of warmth. He smirked in response but then his expression shifted to one more serious and Bella knew small talk was futile. 

“They said you wanted to meet. I’m guessing this is about the vampire coming to kill you.” Bella nodded. “As we told Alice,” he said her name tautly, “yesterday, we’ll be increasing our patrols. If it crosses any of our land, we’ll know about it.” 

“Be careful,” Bella told him, her words for all of the pack. Sam nodded once, appreciating that she still cared. He glanced at Jasper and Alice, and then looked back at her. “If the pack are the ones to kill this… person,” Bella said, refusing to call the vampire an it but unaware of the immortal’s gender, “I need you to try and get information if you can.” 

“That may prove difficult,” Sam replied. “If we can make the kill, we will.” Bella nodded in understanding, but Sam still asked, “what kind of information?” 

“Why they’re here,” she said, “how they found out about me, why they want me dead.” She regarded Sam solemnly, her thoughts going back to Victoria. 

“Do you think it’s her?” He asked. 

“Who?” Jasper asked, and Bella glanced back at him. She gestured for Sam to tell him as Jasper was looking at him already. 

“Victoria,” Sam said. Jasper and Alice both frowned. Bella bit back a sarcastic recommendation that Alice should have perhaps been looking out for Victoria and not watching Bella’s life fall apart following their disappearing act. 

“I haven’t seen her,” Alice said. “I would have if it was her, if she was involved.” 

“Not if she’s found a way around your ability,” Bella said, meeting Sam’s gaze. “Laurent said she’d get me eventually. She’s had nearly five years to plan.” 

“If that’s the case, this could just be the beginning,” Sam said gravely. Bella frowned, she sincerely hoped it wasn’t. She was going home in a week, back to her everyday life that was free of mythical creatures and vendettas. 

“You didn’t tell us about Laurent,” Jasper said. He didn’t sound accusatory but Bella raised her brows at him all the same, as if to say ‘it’s not your business.’ He wasn’t speaking to her though, he was looking at Sam who folded his arms. 

“We killed him years ago when he came for Bella per Victoria’s request,” Sam said. “You know, shortly after your coven left her defenseless and in the warpath of a revenge-bent psychopath.” Alice shook her head. 

“I didn’t see,” she said. “Why didn’t I see?” Her look of confusion turned into irritation aimed at Sam. “I can’t see past you and your pack. That’s why I’ve got loads of blindspots.” Bella wondered just how many blindspots, if any, had stopped Alice from seeing her in ruins after Edward broke up with her in the forest, claiming to have never loved her in the first place. She glared at the ground, and when Jasper looked at her, she turned the glare on him; daring him to ask why she was angry. Sam jutted out his chin. 

“Your limitations are not our problem,” he said coldly. “We’ll let you know of any changes, Bella. And we’ll try to get your information if we can.” Bella nodded, and offered a small, tight, smile in thanks before Sam turned and ran off back into the trees. Bella crossed her arms, knowing what Alice was about to say. 

“I didn’t see, Bella,” she said. “I didn’t know Laurent had come back. We would have-” 

“What?” Bella asked. “Come back for my funeral?” 

“Bella,” she said shocked, and Bella scoffed dryly. 

“The pack saved my life,” Bella said, “I didn’t need you.” At least, not to protect her against Laurent but she didn’t elaborate. “If you catch whoever it is... “ she added, looking at Jasper. “If it is Victoria’s endgame, I’ll have to make plans. Get out of town to protect Charlie.” 

“If it is,” Jasper said, emphasizing the if, “we’ll continue to protect you. We weren’t there when you needed us with Laurent. Let us be there for you now.” Bella wasn’t impressed by his words but she couldn't think of a point to argue with. Would they even listen if she asked them to leave? She felt resigned to their involvement whether she wanted it or not. There was also the Pack to consider, Bella was keenly aware that it was a lot to ask of them; more protection would ease their workload. Bella shrugged, insinuating her begrudging acceptance. “Can we drive you home?” He asked, prompting Bella to look down at her wet sweater clinging to her skin. 

“Or you could come over,” Alice said hopefully. Bella ached at the thought of going to their house, of entering the place their family had occupied and made her feel like one of them. 

“Home,” she said, accepting Jasper’s offer of a ride. He opened the door for her and she climbed in, a headache building across her forehead. As she buckled her seatbelt, Alice climbed into the passenger seat in front of her and Jasper appeared on the driver’s side. He started the car heating up as he pulled into drive and turned the car around. They drove in complete silence, discomfort ricocheting between the three of them as trees turned to buildings. Bella was relieved when they pulled up outside Charlie’s house, eager to get out of the car that smelled of them so strongly, she was sure she’d be unable to get their scent out of her sweater at all. “Thanks,” Bella said and unbuckled quickly, as she opened the door, Jasper turned to look over at her. 

“We’re close by if you need us,” he said, reminding her again of their proximity. She said nothing in response, climbed out and shut the door. The car remained until she was inside the house, and it took her a lot of willpower not to check the curtains to see if they’d left. She went to her room, changed out of her wet clothes, and climbed under her duvet to get warm. Alice’s words kept repeating in her head; how much might she have actually missed during the year Bella and Jake dated? 



Three pm came around slowly and Bella was still a little grouchy from an accidental nap as she approached Angela’s car. As she climbed in, she was pleasantly surprised at the warmth of the car and Angela’s smile, despite how confidently she’d anticipated the welcome. They hadn’t seen one another in years but Angela looked upon her with a timeless fondness; Bella fought the urge to crush her in an awkward seated hug. 

“Hey,” Angela said, smiling. Bella noticed that the other woman’s hair was shorter, her skin clearer, and she wore black-framed glasses as opposed to the purple ones she remembered. She looked a little older but still radiated a familiar gentle glow; it was youthful. Bella felt as though she, herself, had been hardened by the years apart but in Angela’s presence, her shoulders began to relax; the granite in her posture conflicted. 

“Hey,” she replied, Angela waited for Bella to buckle her seatbelt before pulling off the gravel drive. After another short conversation via text provided by Angela’s lunch break, they’d agreed to hang out at Jess’ house; catering to pregnancy-induced backache. Bella had planned to take a bus but was offered a lift when she’d asked Angela about bus stops and times. Angela told Bella about her shift at work as she drove, briefly explaining her tasks and who she worked with. Bella found herself lulled by Angela’s voice as she listened, though she found it difficult to remember mentioned names; her attention pulled to the neighborhood passing by the car. Thoughts buried deep tried to surface when she saw somewhere familiar, forcing her to wonder how she would react if they were to return to the High School. She wouldn’t, she told herself; she didn’t need to know. 

 

Jess threw open the door when they arrived, acting as though she hadn’t seen both her or Angela in years. Bella glanced at Angela once to see her friend wasn’t surprised, so Bella assumed it wasn’t unusual behavior. They were ushered inside where they were promptly given a tour. Bella was conscious it was for her benefit at first and wanted it to happen as quickly as possible, but it wasn’t long before she realised Jess simply enjoyed showing off her house. Despite having no interest in home decor, Bella relaxed enough to silently encourage Jess’ boasting with smiles. Once they’d viewed the nursery for the second time, Jess led them downstairs to the kitchen. Bella sat at the table, feeling misplaced as she watched Angela navigate the cupboards in order to make them all a warm drink. Jess pulled a pretty shawl around her shoulders, claiming to be cold before explaining it was from Paris. 

“How’s Mike?” Bella asked, not wanting to hear the story behind the shawl. Jess wasn’t put out, pleased to brag about Mike’s salary and future plans instead. Bella listened attentively at first, genuinely pleased that things were going so well for the both of them, but once Jess began preaching about marriage and how no woman felt complete without a child in their life Bella shifted uncomfortably in her seat, and let herself drift into background conversation. Angela met Bella’s gaze across the table, both of them trying not to smile in sympathy at one another lest Jess see and question it. An hour passed before any question was put to Bella, and she was so displeased with the immediate line of which, that she wished she’d encouraged Jess to talk about herself more. 

“Any men in your life, Bella?” Jess had asked. Bella knew it was a standard question for friends to ask one another, at least it seemed that way when Renee and her friends used to get together. Bella couldn’t imagine ever wanting to initiate the topic herself, as interested as she was in her friend’s livelihoods. She sighed, receiving an apologetic look from Angela and an expectant one from Jess. 

“No,” she replied. “I’ve been busy. Work keeps me busy.” 

“You work in a bar, Bella,” Jess said, and Bella bristled at the tone as if this was a job somehow beneath her, “I’m sure you see men. They can’t all be ugly.” Bella thought about this for a minute, taking a drink of water. She had never thought to find a date through work, but then she’d never thought to find a date at all. Telling Jess that though made her feel self-conscious; she didn’t want to be looked at too closely. There was also the possibility that Jasper or Alice were within hearing distance, keeping their word of watching over her, and though she wanted them to feel guilty at how they’d broken her, she didn’t want them to pity her. She wasn’t the same girl, she was stronger, smarter, more able to protect herself; she wouldn’t run. 

“I wouldn’t want them to turn up looking for me when things end,” she said, which she figured was true enough. It was certainly a reason she wouldn’t want to meet a man through work, even if she did want one. 

“When things end, that’s a bit pessimistic,” Angela said, a smile on her lips but concern in her gaze. 

“Not everyone is looking to get married,” Bella simply replied. 

“Oooh,” Jess laughed, “I didn’t realise you were so casual. Good for you, Bella. Shop around.” Bella cringed at Jess’ assumption but decidedly didn’t correct her. She wasn’t sure what it said about her, that she would rather others believe she had a string of one-night stands instead of not seeing anyone at all. “Maybe you can give Angela some pointers, she won’t entertain anyone I point out to her.” Jess seemed vexed by this and launched into recounting various times Angela had refused to ask a man out, from someone at work to strangers in stores. Angela’s face gradually reddened and after 10 minutes of zoning in and out again, Bella asked Jess how her online course was going.