Actions

Work Header

The Apocalypse [Dreamnotfound AU]

Summary:

Dream, George, and Sapnap have been living together in Florida for years when a zombie apocalypse uproots their lives. Along with other survivors, they try to survive the apocalypse while also dealing with expected and unexpected romances and friendships. Can they figure out their romantic feelings before it destroys their friendships? And their chance at survival?

-------

Trigger warnings: blood, violence, weapons, smut, swearing, underage drinking, anxiety, injury

-------

This story is completely fictional though it ships real people. I don't ship dnf or any of the other ships in this story in real life and I've tried to be as respectful as possible. The cc's in this story have said they're fine with being shipped but if that ever changes, I will take this story down. Enjoy <3<3

Notes:

Inspired by that one George alt stream where they talked about who would survive a zombie apocalypse. Also this story will contain some trigger warnings, including smut, but there will be warnings before the chapters. Hope you enjoy <3<3

‐----------------------------------------------

Chapter 1: An Apocalypse on the News

Chapter Text

‐----------------------------------------------

Tw: blood, weapons, minor swearing

"We need to go," Sapnap says. He's already packing a bag full of food and clothing. A baseball bat leans against the wall behind him and two kitchen knives are strapped to his belt.

"What are you talking about?" Dream says with a frown, glancing over at him from the sofa. "And when the hell did you start carrying knives?"

Just then, George rushes out of his bedroom, breathless and waving his phone around. "Sapnap, look," he says, shoving his phone into Sapnap's face. "Have you checked Twitter? Dream," he adds, his gaze landing on the taller man. "We need to go."

Sapnap rolls his eyes as he zips up his backpack. "I already told him that, dumbass. There's an apocalypse on the news and we need to go. Have you never watched a zombie movie, Dream?"

"You know I haven't," Dream says, but he stands from the sofa and pulls out his phone too, to check Twitter. His brow furrows as he scans the posts warning everyone about a country-wide apocalypse.

"What the hell?" Dream murmurs, but Sapnap shoves a heavy backpack into his hands before he can say anything else.

"Take this too," he says, shoving a knife at him. "We're probably gonna have to save George's ass out there. There's no way he's surviving without us."

A shiver of fear goes through Dream as he imagines George struggling against zombies. He clenches the knife Sapnap gave him in his fist. He's gonna protect George even if he dies doing it.

"I'll keep him safe," he says to Sapnap, just as George flings open the door to his bedroom again. He's still clutching his phone but he has a backpack slung over his shoulder. He's practically drowning in his oversized hoodie, and Dream suddenly realizes how fragile he looks. He silently repeats his promise to protect his best friend.

"Why are you guys still here," George wheezes. "You should have started the car by now."

"Look who's talking," Sapnap says. "Are you done packing or do you need another hour for your beauty routine?"

George rolls his eyes. "I'm done, let's go."

Sapnap pats George on the shoulder and George shoves him away with a giggle. Dream feels another shiver of worry as he watches them. He prays to whatever god that the world isn't about to end. Not before he gets to spend more time with his best friends.

"Are you coming, Dream?" Sapnap says and Dream snaps out of his thoughts. His friends are waiting for him in the hallway.

"Do we need to leave?" Dream asks as he casts a look around their apartment. They'd lived there for years. "It could be a lot more dangerous out there."

"Listen, Dream, I'm an expert on this. I've seen way more zombie movies than you, so trust me. Staying here is a bad idea. Pretty soon everyone in the city will be a zombie and we won't be able to escape. We have to go before that and find a safer place."

Something tells him Sapnap is right, zombie movies or not. "Fine," Drean says. "But we need to be super careful and stay together. We should come up with a plan before we get our asses killed."

"Don't worry so much," George says, and Dream shuts up. Sapnap watches the exchange with an eyebrow raised, but he doesn't say anything. "We'll be fine," George says. "You and Sapnap just have to protect me, because I'm obviously the most important one here. I can't die."

"You're actually the most useless," Sapnap notes and George shoves him lightly.

George's words play back in Dream's mind, his sweet voice echoing in his head. He knows George is only joking but... He notices George watching him, worry darkening his eyes, and he manages a smile for George's sake.

"Okay, but I'm driving," Dream says and the other two nod in agreement.

Sapnap grips his baseball bat in one hand and inches toward the door. George follows him, small and fragile and defenseless. Dream sticks close to him, as he holds his knife and waits for whatever they'll find on the other side of the door. Sapnap presses his ear against the door, as though he's lived through a million zombie apocalypses before. Dream rolls his eyes but in that moment, he's grateful that his friend has seen so many movies.

When he's deemed it safe, Sapnap opens the door gently and slips out into the hallway. He signals for George and Dream to follow him. Dream shuts the door carefully behind them, and they find themselves in a dark hallway lined with doors. The electricity is out but an emergency light casts a red glow at the end of the hallway. Their exit.

"The elevators are probably not working," Sapnap whispers. "So we'll take the stairs. Be careful and be quiet," Sapnap adds, looking pointedly at George who shrugs. "They'll attack if they hear us."

"Got it," George says in an exaggerated whisper. Dream can't help glaring at him, his heart racing. George notices and puts a hand on his arm in reassurance. Then, he follows Sapnap further down the hallway, leaving Dream in the dark, his cheeks flushed and his stomach a twisting pit of nerves. Why does George have to make this so much more difficult for him?

By the time Dream has caught up with his friends, they're only a few doors away from the exit. Dream's apartment is on the second floor, and in that moment, he's grateful it's not far from the ground. He silently thanks George, who persuaded him to buy an apartment on a lower floor because he didn't want to climb too many stairs.

They're ten steps away from the exit when a low growl cuts through the silence. A shudder goes through Dream and he feels George go still in front of him. Only Sapnap glances around disinterestedly. He flips his baseball bat casually in his hands and cocks his head to listen. The growl comes again, from behind a door near them.

"Leave it alone," Dream whispers when Sapnap starts towards the door. "It's not a threat. We can just go."

"Its not a threat now, but what if it gets out of that apartment?"

"Not our problem," George hisses. "Listen to Dream."

"Ugh, fine," Sapnap grumbles. He reaches the exit door and pushes it open. It closes behind them and Dream winces at the loud clang. They hurry down the steps, glancing around and keeping alert. Nothing attacks them but it does nothing to calm Dream's racing heart. He wonders how Sapnap can be so composed.

They reach the underground parking lot after another level of stairs. George is panting, and Dream has the sudden urge to scoop him into his arms and carry him out to the car. He pushes away the thought as they step into the cold parking lot.

George freezes and Dream goes still beside him.

The parking lot is in ruins. There are cars flipped on their sides and smoke blankets the whole area. The crackling of flames fills the silence.

"Holy shit," Sapnap whispers. "Our car might be destroyed."

Dream is thinking the same thing, but he walks out into the parking lot to check. He spots their car which, somehow, looks intact.

"This way," Dream calls softly. Sapnap appears from the smoke immediately and starts heading to the car. Dream looks back to the smoky area when George doesn't follow him.

His heart leaps into his throat.

Dream retraces his steps, surrounded by smoke. He glances around, wishing for a glimpse of George's dark hair or large hoodie. When he sees a crouched shape in the dusk, he rushes forward.

"George," he almost yells. George flinches and looks up. His fingers are trembling over his half tied laces, and Dream feels a wave of guilt wash over him. "I-" Dream starts, but another shape appears in the smoke behind George.

Dream doesn't think. He runs at the zombie and stabs his kitchen knife in its head. The monster, scarred and bleeding, falls to the ground with a gurgle and a sickening thump.

"Oh my god," George says behind him.

Dream whirles around to face him, the zombie nearly forgotten in his flood of worry. "Are you hurt?" he gasps. He scans George, who looks at him with wide, dark eyes. He looks scared but uninjured.

"I'm okay," George says quietly. "Sorry if I worried you."

Dream deflates. "Don't be. Just... be careful. You can't die, or I'll be stuck with Sapnap."

George grins, his cheeks pale. "Okay, I won't die then."

Dream returns the smile. "Let's go," he says. He doesn't think much of it when he grabs George's hand. It fits perfectly in his.

Neither of them lets go until they reach the car.

(1475 words)

------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 2: Getaway Driver

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: blood, weapons

Dream drives them carefully out of the rubble.

Their car breaks free from the smoke as they leave the parking lot behind. Sapnap sits beside him, holding his baseball bat like it's the most precious thing on the planet. George sits in the back, his knees pulled up to his chest.

"Shouldn't George get a weapon?" Dream says quietly.

Sapnap glances at him thoughtfully but all he says is, "He has us."

"He needs to protect himself," Dream insists. "We can't always be there. What if we're trapped when he needs us? It's not like any of us really know how to use a weapon but it would be good if each of us carried one anyway."

"Fine," Sapnap says. He unsheathes one of his kitchen knives and twists around in his seat to give it to George. "Don't stab yourself, Gogy. We don't need you bleeding out before we even get to fight any zombies."

"Dream's already fought a zombie," George replies as he takes the knife gingerly. "He saved me."

Sapnap turns to Dream questioningly, but something else captures their attention. Dream drives them into the streets of Florida and they finally see the damage the apocalypse has caused.

Ruined buildings with windows smashed and fires burning in the doorways, rubble strewn over the ground, cars that have collided and left bloody debris. Dream feels his stomach lurch as he takes it in.

"Watch out," Sapnap warns, and Dream looks to where he's pointing. Half a dozen zombies, as grotesque and mutilated as in the movies, wander around aimlessly, dragging their feet through the rubble.

"Is this real?" Dream says aloud. His head is spinning as he notices a hoard of zombies clustered around something - or someone. Dream tries not to imagine what - who - it might be.

"Yup," Sapnap says grimly. "Keep driving. Noise attracts them so we have to go now, while they're distracted.

While they're distracted. Dream tries not to picture what Sapnap means. He focuses on driving, navigating slowly through the broken streets.

They reach an intersection. Cars are piled on top of each other in the middle of the road, blocking their entry. There's more bodies too.

"Won't the bodies attract them?" George says from the back seat. "We should get out of here."

"Street's blocked," Sapnap says. "We'll have to take our chances outside." He flips his bat and opens the car door. Dream stares after him in disbelief, but Sapnap doesn't seem to notice. "Come on, guys."

Dream feels a hand on his shoulder and he almost jumps out of his skin. But it's only George, who gives him a small smile.

"That's for scaring me in the parking lot," he says jokingly. "I nearly had a heart attack."

"At least I apologized," Dream mutters. "But fair enough, I guess."

"We should follow Sapnap, right?" George says. He's holding his knife in his fist and his knuckles are turning white. "He knows what he's doing?"

"He definitely does. Sap's seen more zombie movies than I've seen movies, period."

George laughs quietly. "Okay, just making sure. I'll follow your guys' lead then. Just don't get me killed."

"I promise," Dream says, and the words weigh heavily on him. He wants to say something else, to grab George's hand and reassure him, but just then, Sapnap pokes his head into the car.

"Hello? Are y'all coming or not? Stop staring into each other's eyes and move or we'll all die."

"Calm down," Dream grumbles and he and George exchange a look of shared annoyance. Sapnap just rolls his eyes and leaves them behind. They get out of the car and George stays close to Dream's side as they move through the ruined street. Distant growls fill the air and the sound chills Dream to the bone. He notices George tuck his hands into his sleeves, the knife sticking out of one of them.

"Where are we going?" Dream asks as they weave through splintered cars.

"Somewhere safe," Sapnap says. "We need to get out of the city. Once we pass the blocked up streets, we can find another car and drive out. We just have to get through this first."

They keep quiet, glancing around them constantly, weapons hefted. They see more zombies that are... distracted, Dream thinks, wincing. The feeding zombies don't spot them, and Sapnap seems almost disappointed when they reach a clear area, where the streets are less blocked and there are less zombies. He looks around, tapping his baseball bat against his leg as though looking for an enemy to pick a fight with.

"Stop looking for a fight, you idiot," George says, noticing too. "We're out, let's go."

Sapnap whirls around. "I'm not looking for a fight, I'm scanning our surroundings. It's survival tactics 101, idiot."

"Or, we can just find a car and leave and then we don't have to scan our surroundings!"

"Guys, calm down," Dream says, moving to stand between them. "Arguing isn't gonna help us. We should prioritize."

"Explain that to him," Sapnap says, jerking his chin at George. "I know our priorities. I'm trying to keep us safe."

"We know," Dream says. "So let's work together." He puts a hand on George's shoulder and George slowly moves to stand next to him. The frustration drains from his face as he locks eyes with Dream, and all Dream sees in his gaze is fear. "We're all scared," Dream says quietly. "Turning on each other won't help."

Sapnap returns to scanning their surroundings. "First thing's first, we need a car," he tells them. "Let's split up and look for one."

George snorts. "Is that what your movies told you? Don't people usually die when they split up?"

"We don't have another choice," Sapnap says, glaring at him. "Do you see a goddamn rescue team coming to save us?"

George opens his mouth to retort, but just then, the low growl of an engine cuts through the quiet. Dream feels the ground tremble and wonders if Sapnap spoke too soon. Surely someone is still alive, and maybe they're looking for survivors too.

"Maybe it's the military," Sapnap says turning toward the vibration. "They might still be alive."

The humming of the engine gets closer and closer. With a deafening pop, a car bursts out of a nearby street, skidding the corner. It's a convertible, painted bright, cherry-red and with the hood pulled down to reveal three strangers. Dream and his friends gape at the survivors, who screech to a stop beside them. The convertible leaves a screen of fumes that smells toxic and acidic. George doubles over coughing and Dream keeps a hand on his shoulder protectively.

"Anyone need a getaway driver?" a friendly voice says. The smoke clears, revealing the three survivors. A man wearing glasses drives the car and a younger guy sits next to him. The driver keeps one hand on the wheel and is holding the younger guy's hand with the other. The person who spoke sits on top of the car, halfway between the seats and the trunk. He's wearing a mismatch of bright colors that should clash terribly but instead make a statement. Wire-rimmed glasses are perched on his tousled hair. He grins easily at them. Dream's hand tightens on George's shoulder despite himself.

"Who the hell are you?" Sapnap says, staring skeptically at the guy who spoke.

"Well hello there, gorgeous," the guy says, and Sapnap flushes a dark red. "My name's Karl, and I'll be your tour guide for today. These are my associates, Bad" - he points to the driver  - "and his boyfriend, Skeppy." He makes a flourishing gesture towards the young guy, holding the driver's hand. "We can get you out of here, no fee required."

(1290 words)

Notes:

New characters!! I'll try and update again on the weekend :) Hope u like it so far <3

Chapter 3: A New Crew

Chapter Text

Tw: mild swearing

"We can't agree to this," Sapnap says tightly. Dream notes the faint blush still lingering on his cheeks and he and George exchange an amused look.

"Does this have anything to do with this Karl guy?" George says, and Sapnap blushes darkly.

"Of course it doesn't," he snaps. "We don't know them, we can't just trust them blindly. What if they get us killed? They're driving a super noticeable convertible that couldn't be louder if it fucking tried. They'll attract zombies to them."

Dream glances at the three survivors, who are waiting by their car. "True, but they offered to help us at their own risk. We could be a bunch of dangerous psychopaths for all they know but they're giving us a chance. And they seem friendly enough."

"People who seem friendly are never actually friendly," Sapnap says darkly. "And just cause they offered to help, doesn't make them heroes. Maybe they're just stupid."

"We need to get out of here, one way or another, right?" George says. "They can help us. If anything goes wrong, we have weapons."

"Yeah, I'll bet they do too," Sapnap says. Dream gives him a pointed look and he relents a little. "Okay, but only until we get someplace safe. Then, we're ditching them and running."

"Deal," Dream says easily. George nods.

Sapnap walks off to negotiate with the strangers. Dream lingers back, waiting for George.

"You okay?" Dream asks him. George is staring off into the distance, a faraway look on his face. Dream's worry returns, and he can almost ignore how George's eyes sparkle in the sunlight and the faint pink tinting his cheeks.

George's gaze settles on Dream, whose heart leaps into his throat. George's eyes search him for a long moment, then he glances away again. The pink in his cheeks blooms.

"I'm okay," he says, offering Dream a smile. "I'm just a little sad to leave the city. We've lived here for so long."

"I know what you mean," Dream says. His heart feels hollow at the thought. "But at least we're still together. All of us."

George's smile widens a little. "Let's keep it that way."

Dream feels his face heat and he glances away before George can notice. "When all of this is over," he mumbles. "We should get a day to ourselves. Go see a movie or something."

George huffs out a laugh. "Are you asking me out on a date, Dream?"

Dream's cheeks burn and he stumbles through his reply. "I wouldn't call it a date..."

"I would," George interrupts him. "And I'd like that. But you're buying me food."

Dream chokes out a laugh. "Of course, anything you want," he finds himself saying, and he wonders if George has cast some sort of spell on him. His brain doesn't seem to be working properly.

George's eyes shine. "Anything?" he says. He laughs before Dream can reply and walks off, leaving Dream to stare after him in disbelief. He knows George will hold him to that promise. His lips twitch into a smile, despite himself.

"Hey, loverboy," Sapnap calls, sounding annoyed. "You with us?"

Dream snaps awake and tears his gaze away from George, who seems on the verge of laughter. Dream glares at Sapnap, then at George, before joining them at the convertible. Karl looks between Dream and George and a smile crosses his face. He doesn't say anything though, and Dream finds himself both annoyed and grateful to the stranger.

"Where are you guys headed to anyway?" Sapnap asks. He still eyes the survivors warily and keeps a distance from the convertible. "Any why did you stop for us?"

Karl looks around, scanning the surroundings. "Listen, man, can we talk on the road? We've got bigger problems coming at us."

Dream looks around, too, and sees what Karl's talking about. A group of zombies is dragging toward them. They're still a distance away but there are tens. Dream takes in the their bleeding mouths, the monstrous growls, and his heart lurches with fear.

"We should go," Dream says to Sapnap. "Unless you want that herd of zombies to eat us alive."

Sapnap grumbles a response. Karl gives him a look. "You're not a glass half-full kinda guy, are you?"

"Optimism gets you killed," Sapnap snaps and Dream fights to keep a straight face. The Sap he knows is usually optimistic. Dream suspects his bluff has something to do with the red lingering on his cheekbones.

"Guys, come on!" Skeppy says loudly. "We don't have all day."

Dream opens the back door to the convertible and freezes. Karl and Sapnap have already claimed their seats, and there's only one left. He glances up at George, who notices the issue. George meets his gaze and Dream suddenly realizes what he's thinking. His cheeks burn.

"Would you rather one us stays here and faces that?" George says, motioning to the zombies moving closer. Dream notices a slight flush on his cheeks as well, but his eyes stay locked on Dream's.

"Well no, obviously," Dream grumbles. His heart slams in his chest as he opens the convertible door and slides into the last seat. George climbes in after him and Dream's face is hot as George settles on his lap.

Dream avoids Sapnap's amused gaze as he says, "Let's go." But he forgets the words as soon as they leave his mouth because George squirms in his lap.

"This is less comfortable than I thought it would be," he says, shifting again.

"Stop moving," Dream hisses, quietly enough that the others can't hear them as Bad starts the car's engine. He scrambles for an excuse and says, "You're... heavy."

George sighs and settles into a final position. Dream's thoughts have turned to mush but George doesn't seem to notice. Or maybe he knows exactly what he's doing to him.

Bad yanks the car into full throttle just as the zombies' groans become deafening. Dream chances a look behind him and his blood goes cold. The monsters are footsteps away. The closest one makes a swipe for the car, just as Bad pushes the acceleration.

The convertible rips down the street and the zombies are left in the dust.

"Oh my God," Dream says and slumps a little in his seat.

"You wanna tell us where we're going now?" Sapnap asks, unfazed.

Bad and Skeppy share a glance. Even Karl looks a little uncertain as he answers the question.

"We're not really sure, honestly. None of us here like horror movies so we haven't picked up on any strategies," he says with a weak grin. "Just trying to survive."

"Is that why you stopped for us?" George asks. "We could be dangerous."

Karl shrugs. "It wasn't my idea. Bad's kind of like a Good Sumaritan. He couldn't leave survivors behind. Besides, you could have killed us by now and stolen our car but you haven't."

"You shouldn't trust people so easily," Sapnap mutters, but his words are directed more at Karl than at Bad.

"I'd rather die to people than zombies," Karl replies.

Sapnap shakes his head and falls silent. But a moment later, he relents. "I've seen some zombie movies. Our best chance is to get out of the city. If we stay away from people, there's less of a risk of being mobbed by zombies."

"Sounds like a good idea," Bad says from the driver's seat. Skeppy nods in agreement.

A grin spreads over Karl's face. "See, I knew this would work out. A new crew is exactly what we needed. We'll follow your lead... what are your names again?"

Sapnap snorts and Karl laughs, loud and contagious. Dream feels a smile spread over his face despite himself. Suddenly, their chances of survival seem at least twice as high.

As the convertible speeds down Florida's streets, Dream chances a glance at George. George's cheeks are flushed and he's smiling. Heart battering against his chest, Dream circles his arms around George's waist, letting them settle there. He feels George tense, then relax in silent consent. Dream grins and tightens his arms around George, wishing in that moment that the car ride would last forever.

(1359 words)

Chapter 4: Roadtrip

Chapter Text

Tw: blood, weapons, anxiety

George's soft, steady breathing tells Dream that he's fallen asleep.

In his lap, Dream thinks and he still can't believe it. His arms are still wrapped out George's waist and he feels happy and warm, even as night falls. The city's buildings thinning and soon they'll be out of danger. At least for the time being.

"Hey," Karl whispers, next to him. He nods at Sapnap, who's fallen asleep, his head resting against the back of the seat, his baseball bat hanging loosely from his hands. He's snoring lightly and Dream and Karl hold back a laugh as they lock eyes.

Skeppy has also fallen asleep, and Bad seems exhausted. He's still driving, but his shoulders are drooping and the car swerves slightly.

"Should he still be driving like this?" Dream says quietly. "I can take over, if you want."

Karl smiles. "What about him?" he says, gesturing to George.

Dream doesn't want to let George go, but they need to get to safety. He nods at Karl, who taps Bad on the shoulder.

"What do you want?" Bad says sleepily.

"We'll take over, Bad," Karl says. "Get some rest. Me and Dream can switch seats with you and Skeppy."

Bad doesn't protest. The car stops at the curbside. Dream casts a look around, half expecting to see the hoard of zombies from earlier. He remembers their bone-chilling growls and a shiver passes through him.

"Come on," Karl whispers to him. He's already squeezing out of the convertible, past Sapnap who doesn't stir.

Dream grabs George's waist gently, and shifts him off his lap and onto the seat. He pauses when George's eyes flutter and a mumbled word escapes his lips. But he settles back into a deep sleep and Dream gets out of the convertible. He stretches. His long limbs are stiff from sitting in the cramped car for so many hours.

Bad is out of the convertible, leading a half-asleep Skeppy into the back seat. Skeppy stumbles and his head falls onto Bad's shoulder. Dream can see Bad's eyeroll even in the dark and he smiles a little. Bad settles in the back with Skeppy cuddled against him. He falls asleep instantly. That leaves Dream to take the driver's seat.

As he opens the door, he hears a groan behind him.

Karl lets out a shriek and clamps a hand over his mouth, waving wildly at something behind Dream. Dream spins around, drawing his kitchen knife almost on instinct. He sees a flash of bloody teeth, before he plunges the knife in the zombie's head. The monster shudders and collapses on the road. Blood pours out of its skull. Dream jerks away before the crimson can soak into his shoes. He feels suddenly sick, nausea shooting up his throat...

"Breathe, man, breathe," Karl says, his voice somehow soothing. The nausea fades a little. Dream avoids looking at the zombie again as he wipes his knife down on his jeans.

He glances at his friends in the back. Apparently, Karl's shriek hadn't woken any of them. Relief bubbles through the shock.

"Are you sure you can drive?" Karl asks. Dream nods, but another burst of nausea stops him.

Karl pats the shotgun seat. "Sit here. I'll drive."

Dream just nods and slouches into the seat. Karl starts up the convertible and the cool night breeze makes him feel a little better.

"You ever kill one before?" Karl asks as they drive onto the road.

Images of the zombie still flock in Dream's mind; a rapid-fire flurry of bloody, grotesque visions. His mind focuses in and out like a camera and the effect is disorienting. It makes it difficult to form words.

"Once," he says in a stumble. "I didn't even think about it. It was to protect... someone."

"Then you did the right thing," Karl says  quietly, and Dream's mind narrows in on the words. The other images slowly fade away until he can think again.

He focuses on the breeze sweeping gently over his face. "What about you?"

"Never. They terrify me, to be honest. We were lucky not to run into too many, before we found this ride abandoned by a sidewalk. It was fight or flight, and we chose flight. They couldn't keep up with us."

"Good move," Dream says.

Karl nods, keeping his eyes on the road. There's a distant look shining in them, like he's been transported to the past as he says, "I've known Bad and Skeppy for ages. Way before this. We used to game together and we were planning on meeting up when we found out we all lived in Florida. Lucky we did. They saved my life."

He smiles sadly. "What about you? How do you know Nick and George?"

Dream's gaze snaps to Karl. "How do you know Sap's real name?"

Karl shrugs like it's nothing, even though, as far as Dream knows, Sapnap doesn't open up to people easily. "I like to call people by their real name if we're like, face to face. I felt weird calling him Sapnap, so I asked him about it." He glances sideways at Dream. "Now I just need to find out yours."

Dream laughs quietly. "No chance. No one calls me by my real name."

"You do you. But if you change your mind, let me know."

Dream smiles. "Will do."

They're quiet for a while, but there's nothing tense or awkward about it. Karl's easy to talk to, even if Dream barely knows him. They're lucky they met good people, he thinks. It would have been a lot more difficult it was just George, Sapnap, and him on their own.

Karl breaks the silence. "So what's the deal with you and George, if you don't mind me asking? We're all accepting here, if you couldn't tell," he adds, gesturing vaguely to Bad and Skeppy. "But no pressure."

Dream mulls the question over. His gut tells him he can trust Karl with his secret, though even Sapnap doesn't know it. It's complicated, is the first statement that comes to mind, but it's too simple, too obvious to describe his feelings.

"Me and Sapnap are childhood friends," he says quietly. "We met George in high school. He'd moved from England and everyone made fun of his accent." He scoffs. "They were all assholes. Me and Sapnap kind of took him in. We all liked gaming too, and George turned out to be really good at coding, so he used to code stuff for us to play. I didn't realize I felt anything else for him until about a year ago, probably. We were already living together by then, all three of us. Sapnap was talking about a zombie movie he'd watched. Ironically. He asked who I would save if it was between him and George. I didn't answer it, obviously, but I thought about it later. I realized I couldn't live without George. I guess it sounds kind of horrible, but it's not like I wouldn't protect Sapnap. It's just different."

"I get it," Karl replies. "Probably not the best context though, to figure out you have feelings for someone."

Dream chuckles. "No kidding. But that was when I realized I probably liked him as something more than a friend. I just didn't know what that meant for us, so I didn't do anything about it. I still haven't really done anything."

"You seem really close. I mean, I could tell there was something going on between you two."

Dream blushes. "How? You seemed to realize it instantly, even though you'd only just met us."

"You weren't being all that secretive, to be clear."

"Maybe not," Dream says. A flicker of hope darts into his heart. "Not that I know how he feels about it," he adds quickly, and the blush in his cheeks deepens.

"You'll figure it out," Karl says, but his smile tells Dream he already knows George's feelings. Better than him. How is that possible? Dream thinks, perplexed. "In time."

"Thanks," Dream says, and he means it.

They spend the rest of the night reminiscing about old memories, and by the time the sun crests the horizon, Dream has almost forgotten about the apocalypse that tore up their lives.

What a roadtrip, he thinks, smiling.

(1380 words)

Chapter 5: The Walking Dead

Chapter Text

Tw: weapons

"Listen, what do you do when you need supplies?" Sapnap says. "You raid an old school or a hospital. Think The Walking Dead."

Dream gives him a blank look. The others look just as skeptical.

Sapnap falters. "Have none of you ever seen The Walking Dead?"

"I don't like horror movies," Bad says. "And Skeppy's a baby about them."

"I am not," Skeppy says emphatically. Bad looks like he's about to retort but Sapnap interrupts them.

"It's not a horror movie, it's a zombie movie. It's about survival."

"Whatever, tell us your plan," George says impatiently. He's sitting in the backseat of the convertible, next to Dream, and his legs are draped over Dream's lap. Dream still hasn't figured out their relationship, but he's more than happy to let George use him as a footrest. He thinks back to what Karl's words, and wonders if George could really have feelings for him.

"This is what we do," Sapnap says, and Dream snaps out of his thoughts. "We're in a rural area, so if we run out of supplies, we don't have anywhere to get them. So we set up camp somewhere safe, and then people make runs for supplies whenever we need them."

"So we have to go back into the city," George says. "After we just left it."

"Shut up," Sapnap says, pointing a finger at him. "I'm the leader."

George snorts a laugh. "Since when? I think Dream should be our leader."

Dream startles and looks at George. "What? Why me?" He feels his face grow warm as the others turn their eyes on him. "I don't watch zombie movies."

"But you still saved me," George says. "And we need someone who won't make dumb decisions, unlike Sapnap."

Sapnap splutters but the others ignore him. Dream looks around at them, at George, whose dark eyes shine with trust. He doesn't want people believing in him, not when he doesn't have a clue what he's doing. All he wants is to protect George.

"Listen, Sapnap knows what he's doing. I can help him co-lead or something."

"That's not a bad idea," Sapnap admits. "I don't mind having a co-leader. For now, everyone else's role is to set up camp here. I saw a school a few miles from here. Me and Dream can go and find some supplies.

"Wait so the two leaders are leaving?" Skeppy asks. "What about us?"

"I want to go too," George says. "I can help."

Sapnap pinches the bridge of his nose. "Okay, fine, this is what we're going to do. I'm appointing Karl as the leader here. He'll oversee the camp. Me, Dream, and George will make a run to the school. We'll all have weapons so that none of us are caught off guard by a zombie."

Dream glances at Karl, who catches his gaze. His eyes are worried, and Dream remembers that he's never killed a zombie before. "Maybe you should stay too," Dream says quickly to Sapnap. "Me and George can go to the school."

Karl looks relieved. Sapnap the opposite. "But I wanna go on a run," he whines. "I'm the one who brought it up."

"We need to protect our group and the best way to do that is to have someone here who knows how to use a weapon," Dream insists. "You can go on runs too, Sapnap, later. First, you should teach the others how to use weapons. So they can defend the camp."

Sapnap looks dejected, but he grumbles in understanding.

"Alright, if that's settled," Dream says. "Just give us a list of what to look for at the school."

The others clamber out of the car, which is parked to the side of the road. George swings his legs off of Dream's lap, and Dream feels the loss instantly, like the space left behind is cold and empty. He follows George out of the car and surveys their surroundings; quiet, grassy fields. Dream's thankful they haven't yet encountered another zombie.

"We already have some camp supplies," Sapnap says, pulling Dream aside. "Karl and the others packed them when they left the city. I need you to find a first-aid kit and any food. We'll need some more stuff later, but that should be it for now. We could even move into the school if it's safe."

He says the last words pointedly and Dream meets his gaze. "It might be overrun," Sapnap mutters, quiet enough that the others can't hear him. "I'm talking hundreds of zombies. If you can't take them, leave. If you can, try to clear some of them out. A school would be a really good place to stay at."

"We need weapons," Drean says, swallowing his anxiety. "I'm pretty decent with a knife, but I don't know about George. Maybe he shouldn't go."

"You can't go by yourself, and George can defend himself. Besides, we won't always be there to protect him." The words send a shudder through Dream. "Be careful, both of you," Sapnap adds. "Stay alert. And don't chicken out. If a zombie's coming at you, there's no room to choke."

Dream nods. Sapnap claps him on the shoulder and walks off to join Karl, Bad, and Skeppy who are already sorting through their supplies. George is waiting in the passenger seat of the car. Dream swallows thickly. No room to choke. If he backs out of a kill, it can cost him and George their lives.

As Dream slides into the driver's seat, George tosses him a grin. "Sapnap gave me these," he says, and Dream notices the bow and quiver slung across his shoulders.

Dream resists the urge lecture him about safety. Instead, he says, "Where did Sapnap find a bow?"

George shrugs. "He didn't tell me. Lucky he did though. I'm gonna save your life with this."

Dream huffs out a laugh. "Right, of course."

"I'm serious," George says. "I'm a professional sharpshooter. Just watch, when we get to the school..."

"Are you guys leaving or not?" Sapnap calls from across the field.

"We're leaving, idiot," George calls back.

Dream starts the car. He chances a last glance at his friends, before speeding away. He prays it's not the last time he sees them. Sapnap can take care of the others, he reminds himself. And it's Dream's job to protect George.

"Dream?"

Dream swallows as he registers George's voice. "George?" he replies, trying to sound casual.

"Remember that time when I stole your hoodie?"

Dream chokes out a laugh. "Yeah. How come?" He thinks back to the day when he had searched for his favourite hoodie, only to find George sound asleep on the couch, wearing it. It had suited George so well, that Dream had forgotten to ask for it back. "You still haven't given it back."

George laughs. "Who says I'm planning to? It's more comfortable than pyjamas."

Dream's face heats and his mind reconjures the image of George asleep in the oversized hoodie. The words, "Keep it then," slip out. His blush deepens.

George smiles and Dream focuses on keeping them on the road. "I was just thinking that I technically owe you for the hoodie."

Dream stares straight ahead and tries not to think as he says, "You can take me on a shopping date sometime."

George giggles and the sound warms Dream's heart. "So we're going on two dates when all this is over?"

"Yeah," Dream says with a grin. "Then I'll call it even."

George sighs and pretends to slouch. "Fine. If you insist." He seems to consider for a second. Then, "What the hell is The Walking Dead?"

Dream splutters a laugh. "What? It's a show that Sapnap's been obsessed with his whole life. He literally wouldn't stop talking about it before the apocalypse and now he still won't shut up."

George laughs. "We should watch it sometime. Sapnap's only been talking about it because we don't know what it is. But if we watch it, he'll finally shut up."

"Ugh, fine," Dream groans. "It is tempting. Even if I hate zombie movies."

"So pretty much," George concludes. "We have to survive. There's too much at stake. Three dates, Dream."

"Well, a lot more than that, actually. The Walking Dead is like ten seasons. We'll need more than one date to finish it."

"As long it takes," George says, and Dream's cheeks won't stop burning.

(1400 words)

Chapter 6: Home Sweet Home, I Guess

Notes:

Two chapters in two days? Let's go?? Also Sapnap's POV cause karlnap.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: weapons

Sapnap watches Dream and George drive off and hopes nothing bad will happen to them.

He knows Dream can handle himself. And he can protect George too. Then again, George might not need protecting. His mind flashes back to when he'd handed George the bow and quiver Karl had found on the road.

Years ago, when George had first moved from to Florida, he'd told Sapnap he was a professional sharpshooter. Sapnap had obviously thought he was joking. They had gone to a shooting range once, after an argument about who had the better aim. George had hit every bullseye.

Sapnap had given him the bow and quiver because he genuinely believed George could save Dream's life. Dream had never found out about the shooting range episode, but he would witness George's skill soon enough. Sapnap smiles and shakes his head. Who would have known someone as useless-looking as George could have such good aim?

"Earth to the big guy," Karl's now-familiar voice says. He waves a hand in front of Sapnap's face and Sapnap randomly notes the chipped black and purple nail polish coating his nails. "You up to lead or...?"

"Yeah, of course," Sapnap says, blinking away his thoughts and memories. "We'll be sleeping here for the night, so we should aim to be done setting up by the time they get back."

"So what should we do?" Bad says.

"Let's start setting up the tents," Sapnap says. His mind sifts through every survival movie he's ever seen. "We should sort through our supplies, too. Hopefully Dream and George bring back food. If not, we might have to hunt." Karl crinkles his nose and Sapnap's heart skips a beat. What is wrong with him? "And I need to teach you guys how to use weapons," he finishes quickly.

"Oh, that's all?" Karl says, in an overly cheery voice. "I thought we'd be working today. My bad."

Sapnap rolls his eyes. Skeppy interrupts him before he can retort. "Don't we only have three tents? I mean, unless the others bring some back, we'll have to figure out who's staying with who. I'm with Bad, obviously," he adds, taking Bad's hand protectively.

Karl turns to Sapnap, who feels his face burn. "We'll figure that out later," he mumbles. "Let's focus on setting up first."

Karl brightens. "Okay! Bad and Skeppy probably wanna stick together, so you two should start sorting through our supplies. Me and Sapnap will set up the tents. Shouldn't take too long," he adds, tossing Sapnap a smile.

Sapnap nods mutely. His heart thunders in his chest, and Karl's smile does nothing to help it. Honestly, he thinks. What is wrong with him? Come to think of it, he's felt off since him and Dream and George met Karl and the others. What is happening to him? No zombie has come close to touching him. He had secretly killed two of them in the underground parking lot, while Dream was saving George's ass. But he hadn't let them get close before bashing their heads in with his baseball bat.

"You good?" Karl says, and Sapnap snaps out of his daze. Karl is struggling with a wad of fabric and four poles.

"Let me carry them," Sapnap says gruffly. Karl doesn't protest when he takes the metal and fabric out of his arms.

They move towards a large clearing in the field. Sapnap dumps the tents onto the grass. He and Karl start to sort through the tent parts.

"I'm gonna be honest, I have no idea how to set up a tent," Karl says. "I'm a little clueless here."

"Why didn't you ask Bad or Skeppy to do it instead then?" Sapnap asks. "You could have sorted through the supplies."

Karl gives him a sidelong look. "But then I wouldn't have been working with you."

Sapnap's cheeks turn hot. "So?" he says, keeping his gaze firmly glued to the poles he's connecting.

"So I would have been bored. Besides, Bad and Skeppy bicker constantly. Don't want to get caught in the middle of that."

The tightness in Sapnap's throat loosens a little and he can speak again. "They're dating, right?" It's the first thing that comes to mind, and he's not sure why.

But Karl nods casually. "They've been going out for a few years. They've never broken up but they argue all the time. It's kind of weird, to be honest, but it works. You do you, ya know?"

Sapnap nods and goes back to setting up the tents. Karl has found a tree stump to sit on and he watches Sapnap from his perch. Sapnap focuses on the metal and the fabric, remembering when he and Dream went camping, back before they knew George.

"You seem to know what you're doing," Karl says, like he's reading his thoughts.

Sapnap just shrugs. "I've done it before. A few times actually." He doesn't say anything more and he's not sure why. He trusts Karl, but a part of him still wants to keep the memories of his best friends private.

"You don't trust me," Karl says, like it's obvious.

Sapnap whirls around. "How are you doing that? It's like you're reading my mind or something."

A smile tugs at Karl's lips and Sapnap jerks his gaze away. "I'm good with people," Karl says vaguely. "And it's fine if you don't trust me," he adds. "I get it. I'm still a stranger for now."

"For now?"

Karl giggles, cupping a hand over his mouth. "Well obviously I'm not gonna stay a stranger, nimrod. You'll see. You'll fall for me sooner or later."

Sapnap chokes on air and Karl's laugh turns hysterical. "I'm not gonna fall for you," Sapnap splutters. "Shut up," he adds, when Karl splays both hands over his face to keep in his laughter. But a smiles tugs at his own mouth.

Karl takes a few deep breaths to compose himself. When he's finally calmer, though his eyes are still bright, he stands.

"Let me help you," Karl says. He gestures to the half-assembled tents. "You might have experience but you're clearly not getting much done."

"Yeah, cause of you," Sapnap mutters, but he hands Karl one of the poles. He tries not to shiver when Karl's fingers brush his. He wonders if it's deliberate, especially when Karl's lips curve again, but he ignores him. "Push that through the corner of the fabric. There's a slot. All four of the poles go through the corners and then the tent's pretty much done."

Karl salutes as he marches off to do his task. "Ay ay, Captain."

Sapnap shakes his head, but a grin spreads over his face once Karl's back is turned.

They finish up the tents much faster once Karl starts to help. The question of who will sleep with who still lingers in Sapnap's mind, but he shoves it away. He doesn't want to think about what will happen when Bad and Skeppy choose to take one tent and Dream won't pass up the opportunity to share another tent with George.

"Home sweet home, I guess," Karl says, looking over the tents. "Let's check on Bad and Skeppy. "

"We're done," Bad says cheerfully when Karl and Sapnap join them.

"We don't have to go hunting," Skeppy adds. "Thank God."

They point to a neat stack of canned food and drinks and another much messier pile of dried food.

Bad rolls his eyes. "Sorry about that pile. Skeppy isn't exactly organized."

"I'm so organized," Skeppy shoots back. "I can find anything in that pile. I bet you can't find what you're looking for in yours."

"You wanna bet?"

Skeppy spreads his arms. "Let's do a competition then. We each have to find an item in our piles."

"And whoever wins gets to..."

"Okay, wait," Sapnap cuts in. "I still have to teach you guys to use weapons before Dream and George get back. Can't your competition wait?"

Karl shakes his head. "Way to ruin the fun, Nick," he says and Sapnap flinches when he hears his real name. He still isn't sure how Karl talked him into revealing it. Even Dream and George barely use it.

Sapnap turns on Karl with a glare, but Bad steps up. "Sapnap's right. Skeppy was just being dumb."

Skeppy throws his arms in the air. Sapnap and Karl lock eyes and Sapnap feels a rush of laughter rise in him. He quickly tears his gaze away.

"Okay," Sapnap starts, grabbing his baseball bat and swinging it over his shoulder. "I'm gonna teach you guys how to kill zombies."

(1431 words)

Notes:

Sorry the last chapters have been a bit slow but I promise there's a lot to come!I'm definitely gonna be doing more chapters abt Karlnap because I love them (and also possibly some skephalo chapters coming, idk) but in the future I'll probs be switching between dteam povs, just letting u know.

Chapter 7: The School

Notes:

Comments would be super appreciated!! I'm trying something out here... Also I hope u don't mind the longer chapter. Enjoy <3

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: anxiety, blood, weapons, zombies, violence

Dream's stomach is a pit of anxiety by the time they reach the school.

"It doesn't look like it's been overrun," George says as Dream turns into the concrete parking lot.

"We should still be careful. Keep that bow with you. In case we get separated."

Dream has to force the words out. He promises himself he won't leave George's side. If George gets hurt on this supply run...

"Dream," George whispers urgently, and Dream whips around. A hand flies to one of the knives George had given him. But George puts a hand on his arm and he freezes. "Wait. Look."

George points to the front doors of the school, a few feet away from them. The doors are heavy metal, but they're trembling. Dream frowns until he notices the zombie inside, ramming repeatedly against the door. The scene makes bile rise in Dream's throat. He swallows his anxiety and shoves open the car door.

"George, wait," he says when George starts to get out of the car. "I'll do it. You shouldn't have to risk it."

"What about you?" George says. Dream notices the arrow already nocked in his bow, and wonders how he'd managed to figure out how to do it so quickly. But he shakes the thought out of his head. Focus, he tells himself.

"I'll be fine. Just get everything we need out of the car and meet me at the door."

"Fine," George grumbles. "I'll do all the work."

Dream scoffs and moves toward the front doors. Every time the zombie rams into the metal, a shiver runs through him. He wipes at the sweat beading his forehead and blames it on the hot Florida sun rather than the monster standing in front of him.

Dream stops in front of the door and takes a deep breath. In one move, he yanks open the door and swings at the zombie. The monster lunges at him, but Dream's knife finds its mark first. The zombie crumples, the hilt of Dream's knife sticking out from its skull.

His hands shaking, Drean realizes he's hyperventilating. He tries to gulp in air, to fight off the darkness dimming his vision. Not now, not when George needs him. Why is he such a coward? he thinks. He pulls up the sleeve of his hoodie to pinch his wrist. The small burst of pain clears his head a little. His breathing slows back to its normal pace and he rubs his eyes. Some of the panic clouding his thoughts drains away, leaving only the image of the dead zombie. Dream swallows, stoops over the zombie, and pulls the knife out of its skull. He closes his eyes and when he opens them, George is standing in front of him.

"Dream, calm down, it's me," George whispers as Dream's arm rears back, ready to swing his knife. Dream freezes when he catches sight of George's wide, dark eyes. They glow a warm chocolate brown in the sunlight. Dream's heart starts racing again, except now it has nothing to do with the zombie he killed.

"Don't do that," Dream groans, dropping his arm.

"Do what? I told you, you should have let me kill it."

"What, and let you get hurt?"

George rolls his eyes. "I'm a professional sharpshooter. I don't get hurt."

Dream snorts and pulls himself to his feet. He tucks his knife into his belt. When he looks back up, the air is knocked out of his chest.

George is staring at him intently. Dream feels heat creep into his cheeks, but he can't look away. So much for being the strong one in the relationship, he thinks sarcastically. If there even is a relationship. Apparently, George can make his knees go weak with a single look. Since when? he wonders, thinking back to all those years of living together in their apartment. He knew he had fallen for George at some point but it had been a shallow hope. Something had changed, and only in the last two days.

Finally, George looks away, and Dream feels his throat loosen enough to let him breathe. Until George reaches out to take his hand. Dream automatically responds, and his hand swallows George's much smaller one.

"If you're so eager to protect me, then do it, Dream," George says quietly. Dream tightens his hand around George's wordlessly. George leans forward a little, tilting his head upwards to face him, and Dream's heart drums a steady beat in his chest. Just when George is so close to him that he can see the different shades of brown in his eyes, George whispers, "But I'm still a professional sharpshooter."

Dream groans and lets go of George's hand to bury his face in his palms. George giggles, even as Dream feels his body slouch as the tension ebbs away. A smile tugs at the corners of his lips, but he hides it from George as he strides through the front doors and into the school.

"Dream, wait," George says, taking a few running steps to catch up with him. He's already out of breath and he lets out a little gasp that makes Dream's chest tingle as George slows to a walk next to him.

"I thought you said you could protect yourself," Dream says, smirking.

"Shut up," George says breathlessly. "I'm only here cause you begged me to be."

Dream scoffs. "You're so annoying."

"You didn't deny it," George exclaims.

They turn a corner and Dream puts a hand out to quiet George. George goes still as he notices what Dream is pointing to.

"That's definitely the cafeteria," Dream whispers. "You hear those noises? It's probably full of zombies." The snarls fill the air, as if to prove his point.

"What if it's full of food too, though?' George says. "It might even have medical supplies. We have to fight for it."

Dream turns to him, exasperated. "George..." he starts, but George slaps a hand over his mouth. Dream's eyes widen and he shoots George a look.

"You're being too loud," George says. "Shut up. Before the zombies hear us."

Dream grabs George's hand and pulls it away from his lips. His cheeks are burning and he's overly aware of George's small hand in his. George smiles cheekily up at him, and Dream has a sudden, overwhelming urge to...

"Come on," George says, and Dream finds himself trailing George down the hallways, still holding his hand. "This is our game plan. You charge into the cafeteria with your knives, and I'll back you up with my bow."

"That is the dumbest idea I've ever heard," Dream says.

"Do you have anything else? We need that medkit and I'm starving."

"Right, let's risk our lives because you're hungry," Dream says, although an insane part of him is tempted to run headfirst into the cafeteria and take down any zombie that stops George from eating.

"I won't go on a date with you if you don't get me food," George says, pulling his hand out of Dream's. Dream's hand suddenly goes cold where George's warmth used to be.

Dream groans. "Dating you is more work than it's worth."

"Yep," George says. Then, he notches an arrow into his bow and pushes Dream forward with one hand. "Now, go. Get the food. I'll protect you with my sharpshooting. Trust me."

Dream trusts George with a lot of things, but sharpshooting isn't one of them. Still, he flips out two knives and walks towards the caf. The doors are closed and behind them, the snarling of zombies echoes through the room. Any food still left could be contaminated. Dream doesn't let himself think about it as he tamps down his anxiety and pushes open the door.

A chorus of snarls turns towards him and the monsters with their horrible dead eyes and bloody mouths surge forward.

Dream lets his mind go blank as a wave of adrenaline rushes through him. He thinks of George, small and fragile and beautiful, who's waiting for him. Then, he lunges toward the zombies and loses himself in the herd.

Groans and snarls fill his ears as he navigates through the monsters. Instinct tells him when to swipe, when to stab, when to lunge. Zombie after zombie falls to the floor, bleeding from the skull. He stabs at a monster and yanks the knife out from its throat. Just then, something thumps on his shoulder. Dream whirls around, raising his knife, and comes face to face with a zombie.

There's a strange whoosh, then the zombie crumples before him. There's an arrow embedded in his skull. Dream  glances around and catches sight of George standing in the doorway, his bowstring taught, another arrow already pulled back and finding its target.

"George?" Dream whispers, but another zombie attacks and he forgets his questions.

Time seems to blur, and then Dream snaps out of his trance. The caf is eerily silent. The floor is littered with dead monsters. Dream wipes blood from his knives on his jeans and his gaze searches the empty room frantically.

"George?" he calls. His heart swoops in his chest when he spots George walking toward him. His arms are full of cans and bagged snacks, and he drops all of it at Dream's feet.

"Food," he says simply. He tears open a bag of chips and pops one into his mouth. Dream watches in stunned disbelief as George closes his eyes and chews slowly.

"You can shoot," is the first thing Dream manages to stutter. "You killed that zombie. You shot it through the head from a decent distance."

George laughs. "I told you. It's your fault you didn't believe me."

Dream wants to say something else, but just then, a door clangs open. They both whirl around, in time to see three figures emerge into the cafeteria. Dream raises his eyebrows as he takes in the group that enters.

One of them is tall and wears a stony expression. Another looks like he should be a singer. He's wearing a revealing silver outfit that matches the earrings dangling from his ears. Actually, Dream wonders, is that...

But the third points a broomstick handle at both of them and Dream's thoughts dissipate. He's wearing a beanie and his voice echoes loudly through the caf as he says, "Surrender your food to us if you want to live."

(1728 words)

Notes:

New characters again!! Hope u like it so far <3<3

Chapter 8: Can't Shoot Straight

Notes:

Apparently the chapters are gonna be longer from now on so... have some karlnap :)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: weapons, anxiety

"Okay, we have a bunch of knives and that's pretty much it," Sapnap concludes.

Karl nods encouragingly. "Good start."

Sapnap shoots him a look as Bad and Skeppy join them by the small pile of weapons they've gathered.

"Actually, we have something else," Skeppy says. He pulls two shotguns out from behind his back. "Bad bought these a few years back, in case something bad happened. Don't ask me why he needed two though."

Bad blushes. "I only bought one, you muffinhead. There was one already in the convertible when we found it. And I wouldn't have used them, obviously. I bought one just to threaten a burglar or someone if they came into the apartment. But I managed to grab it before we left."

Sapnap's itching to try out the gun but... "Muffinhead?"

Karl ducks his head and whispers loudly, "Bad doesn't like to cuss so he says muffin for everything instead. You get used to it."

"What the fuck?" Sapnap says, and Bad immediately says, "Language!"

Karl giggles at the confused look on Sapnap's face.

"Whatever," Sap mutters as the temptation of the gun wins over his frustration. "Can I see it?" he asks, and Skeppy hands a shotgun to him carefully. Sapnap looks at it and suddenly feels like the main character in every action movie he's ever seen. He clears his throat as he examines it. This is so cool, he thinks and he's glad Dream and George are not here to make fun of him.

"What a nimrod," Karl says, breaking through his thoughts. "My man's more excited over a gun than-"

"Can you not ruin this for me?" Sapnap inrerrupts and Karl grins impishly. Apparently, Dream and George are not the only ones who make fun of him.

"Are we gonna be practicing on actual zombies?" Skeppy asks anxiously. "None of us have ever killed one before."

Sapnap frowns as he scans their surroundings. "We should set up a shooting range," he says, thinking back to the shooting range he and George had gone to years ago. "Practising on a moving target is a lot more difficult than shooting at something that doesn't move. We should start simple. We'll try with zombies later."

Karl looks uncomfortable for a moment, and Sapnap feels his stomach squeeze with worry. But then, Karl's face clears and he grins.

"Let's do it," he says, animatedly. Sapnap wonders if he's imagining it, or if the light in his eyes has faded a little. His enthusiasm feels forced. Who cares? Sapnap thinks for a moment. But the worry in his stomach squeezes tighter.

They gather a few square wooden planks. Sapnap finds a rock and scribbles a messy target onto them, colouring the center in white. Using some rope, they fix the makeshift targets onto a line of trees that split their prairie from a forest. Sapnap walks backwards until he's a distance away, then aims the shotgun. The world slows around him and goes silent as he fixes his aim. He shoots, stepping back with the recoil, and glances over the gun to see his mark. It's a bullseye.

He can't help the grin that spreads over his face. He drops the gun and shakes his head. Apparently George isn't the only good shot.

He's feeling good about it until he glances up and finds Karl staring at him skeptically.

"I thought you were gonna teach us," Karl says. "Not stand there smiling like an idiot."

Karl lets out a laugh and covers his mouth with his hand as Sapnap's smile drops into a frown. Sapnap clears his throat as Karl continues to giggle. He wills himself not to join in, even if it's contagious.

"And I thought you were gonna learn how to shoot, not stand there laughing like an idiot," Sapnap says, but his voice cracks on the last word, his cheeks burning, and Karl howles with laughter. When he looks up, he has to wipe his streaming eyes.

"Okay, okay," he says, taking a breath. "We should be taking this seriously."

Bad and Skeppy join them after putting up the last target. "They're all ready," Bad says and Sapnap nods.

"Let's start then," Sapnap says, and he launches into an explanation about how shotguns work, based entirely on movies he's seen and video games he's played.

Turns out, Bad knows almost as much about guns as he does. He insists he's never used his shotgun but Sapnap has his suspicious when he clicks the safety off, fires a perfect shot, and reloads the shotgun all in one move. Skeppy stares at him wide-eyed.

"I thought you were against violence or something," Skeppy exclaims. "You can't even watch action movies without complaining. And you're telling me that you won't swear but you're fine with shooting guns?"

"It's for protection, muffinhead," Bad exclaims, his face turning red below his glasses. "I wouldn't shoot unless I had to, obviously. But it doesn't hurt to know how to, for extreme situations."

"What?"

Sapnap cuts in. "Bad, if you already know how to shoot, then you can teach Skeppy. You can use the far targets and take one of the shotguns. I'll stay and help Karl."

Karl hooks an arm around Sapnap's shoulders, and Sapnap fights the urge to squirm at the warm weight. "Yeah, we're all good here," Karl says, grinning devilishly. When Bad and Skeppy have walked off, Sapnap steps out from under Karl's arm. A breath escapes him when he's free of the weight.

Karl observes him seriously and Sapnap feels heat creep up his neck. "See?" Karl says, like he's noting an important analysis. "You are falling for me."

Sapnap blushes harder. "What are you talking about?" he says, but his voice wavers a bit and the heat lacing his cheeks won't disappear. His heart is racing and he wonders how one person can have such an effect on him. He can hit a bullseye with a shotgun, goddammit, he thinks, but that suddenly seems like a stupid accomplishment.

Karl breaks his straight face and giggles. "Just kidding, man. Don't take everything so seriously. Are you gonna teach me to shoot or what?"

And just like that, the moment's gone. Sapnap's blush cools and his heart steadies. What an idiot, he thinks, and he's not sure if he's referring to Karl or himself.

Sapnap shrugs. "I've already taught you how the gun works. Now you just have to shoot it."

Karl nods firmly. "A man of great words," he says as he picks up the shotgun gingerly. But Sapnap still notes the discomfort in his eyes when he looks at the gun and the slight tremble in his hands when he holds it.

"Just do what I taught you," Sapnap says quietly. Karl nods, suddenly silent, and repeats the movements. Then, he takes aim. For a long moment, the gun wavers and nothing happens. Sapnap wonders if he's gonna shoot, or if the discomfort he keeps noticing will stop him. But then, a shot echoes through the field, and Karl takes a few steps back as it recoils.

It misses the target completely and shoots through the leaves of a tree. Karl puts a hand over his eyes like he's blocking out the sun to see his shot better. Sapnap rolls his eyes as Karl nods, like it was just what he was expecting.

"Well," he says, turning towards Sapnap. "I just can't shoot straight. I wonder why."

Heat settles on Sapnap's face as he registers the implication behind Karl's sarcastic words. But he doesn't have time to figure out how to reply. Just then, he notices the tears in Karl's eyes, masked by his jokes.

"Hey," Sapnap says, moving toward Karl and instinctively wrapping him in a hug. "You good?"

Karl sniffles against his shoulder. A small part of Sapnap wants to pull away, as he realizes that Karl is pressed completely against him. But he resists the urge and instead pats Karl on the back until he's no longer shaking. He suspects that Karl stays in the hug longer than he needs to, but Sapnap can't find it in him to complain either.

Finally, Karl sighs and pulls away. "My bad," he says softly. "I don't really like guns."

Sapnap had noticed, obviously, but curiosity still fills him and he asks, "How come?"

Karl shrugs, avoiding his gaze. "I'll tell you some other time," he says, with a fleeting smile. "When you trust me enough to tell me your stories too."

"I do trust you," Sapnap mumbles.

Karl suddenly perks up. "What? Say that again, I didn't hear you."

Sapnap rolls his eyes and steps away. He picks up the shotgun that Karl dropped. "I do trust you," he says louder, shoving the shotgun back into Karl's hands. Their fingers graze and he quickly pulls back. "I'll trust you more if you figure out how to shoot properly."

"Blackmailer," Karl says, grinning. The light in his eyes returns, bit by bit, until they're sparkling. Sapnap meets his gaze and finds himself too immersed to answer. Karl's grin widens and he leans forward until Sapnap snaps out of his trance and stumbles back. Karl bursts into laughter as Sapnap regains his balance and glares at him.

"You're supposed to be teaching me how to shoot, what the heck?" Karl says. He lifts the gun again, and Sapnap feels a small burst of relief even through his annoyance. Karl isn't shaking anymore, and even if he's still uncomfortable, maybe Sapnap will be able to get him over his phobia.

"Shoot straight this time," Sapnap mutters, and he hides his smile as Karl responds with a new burst of laughter.

(1616 words)

Notes:

Thank u to everyone who's been reading this story so far, I love and appreciate u all! <3

Chapter 9: An Altercation

Notes:

Lol sorry for that last cliffhanger, y'all, here's the school <3

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: weapons, zombies, swearing

"You, pretty boy," the guy in the beanie says, motioning to George. "Give us your food."

Dream feels a growl escape him as he moves protectively in front of George. He might be weak-kneed around George, but he sure as hell isn't intimidated by this dude. And he sure isn't gonna let some random guy call George pretty.

But as he opens his mouth to yell some well-thought out insult, the tall guy with the stony expression shifts slightly. It's a small movement but it seems to freeze everyone around him.

"Your food," he says in a low, reverberating voice. "Now." It's three words, but they seem to resonate through the cafeteria, sending shivers down Dream's spine. This guy is intimidating, he admits silently.

But he clenches his fists, and stays his ground. "We're not giving you our food. We cleared out this cafeteria by ourselves. That's like a hundred zombies we took out. If you wanted the food, you should have fought those things yourselves. This is our food."

The guy in the silver suit steps up, his hands raised in a placating gesture. Dream could swear he's...

"Guys, we shouldn't make this an altercation. Let's compromise."

"I can't believe I'm saying this," the kid in the beanie says, pointing his broomstick at him. "But shut the fuck up. Peace isn't the solution right now."

George steps up and grabs Dream's arm discreetly. "What are we going to do, Dream? Should we fight them or try to make a deal?"

"They don't seem the friendly type," Dream says. "Also, is that guy in the silver who I think he is?"

George huffs out a laugh. "Yeah. Lil Nas X." Dream looks back at the singer, baffled, but George shrugs. "Weirder things have happened."

"Yeah, I guess," Dream says, but he still feels like he's floating through a dream. "Wait did that guy just tell Lil Nas X to shut the fuck up?"

"Dream," George says, exasperatedly. "Now is not the time to turn into a simp. Since when did you even like his music?"

"Are you two done whispering?" the beanie guy says. "We're kind of threatening you here."

"You're not very threatening," George says. Dream's eyes widen when he notices the smirk that appears on the tall guy's face. The beanie guy splutters and shoves his broomstick at them.

"I have a weapon," he says.

George notches an arrow in a fluid move and Dream flips out his knives. The beanie guy takes a step back, his broomstick wavering. Dream doesn't notice the others carrying weapons, but something tells him the tall guy could take them out with his fists alone.

"Let's figure this out another way," Lil Nas X says, and Dream can't help the heat lacing his cheeks when he locks eyes with him. "Are you willing to negotiate?" Dream almost nods, until he feels George grip his arm again. George glares at him and turns towards their opponents.

"Depends," George says coolly. "What do you have to offer? We'll accept a deal."

"Okay," Lil Nas X says, smiling in relief. "Let's make a deal. I'm Montero, by the way. This is Techno and this is Quackity," he adds, gesturing to each in turn.

Quackity turns around in exasperation. "You gave them our names? We're not trying to make friends, dude."

"They could be useful," Techno says, in that resounding voice. Quackity goes quiet and nods quickly.

"If you think so," Quackity says. "But what happened to taking their food?"

"We're literally right here," George says. He's still clutching at Dream's arm and Dream feels the urge to push him behind his back and protect him from these strangers. Even if one of them is Lil Nas X.

Techno smirks again. "We don't care."

George opens his mouth to argue, but Dream tugs his arm down to get his attention. George looks up at him, and Dream motions for him to be quiet.

"I'll do the talking," he whispers.

George rolls his eyes. "Why? Because it's Lil Nas X?"

"Are you jealous?" Dream says, his heartbeat fluttering in his chest. George sputters for a second, his cheeks tingeing pink, and the sight makes heat curl through Dream. He hides it with a smirk of his own. "Don't worry," he says. "No one can beat your pretty privilege."

George scoffs, his blush deepening. "Pretty privilege?"

"Yeah. It means you're too pretty for me to say no to you."

George turns to him, a devilish glimmer in his eyes as he giggles. "I'm using that in the future."

Dream rolls his eyes, but he doesn't regret his words. "Fine. Just let me deal with them first." He waits until George nods before turning to face the others.

"I'm Dream," he says. "This is George. I guess we should know each other's names if we're going to make a deal."

Lil Nas X - or Montero, as he'd introduced himself - nods appreciatively. "Listen, man. You guys earned that food and we get that. But could you help us out and share some of it? We were thinking of staying in this school, and this is the only place that has food."

Dream and George exchange a look and Dream remembers his conversation with Sapnap. If they want to stay at this school too, it might be better to become friends with the strangers.

"Have you guys found anything else here?" Dream asks. "Supplies?"

Montero looks like he wants to answer, but Quackity sticks an arm out to block him with his broomstick. "Wait. You can't just tell them everything. What if they take our things?"

Montero rolls his eyes. "We're the ones trying to take their things, Quackity." He turns his attention back to Dream and George. "You guys need anything?"

Dream nods. "Medical supplies, for now. Honestly, we were scouting the school for shelter too."

Montero spreads his arms. "It's a big place. We can share. You part of a bigger group?"

"Yeah. Four others."

Montero glances at Techno. "They can have a floor right? We have plenty of space."

Techno's eyes glint in a way that sends shivers up Dream's arms. "As long as they don't bother us."

"What's the rest of your group like?" Quackity asks. "Dangerous? You guys have any more weapons?"

"We do, but we won't use them on you. We're trying to survive against the zombies, not other people. We can help each other out. Our group was originally just me, George, and a friend of ours, but we met some good people on the road." Dream shrugs. "You make friends easily when your only choices are people or zombies."

"What about you?" George asks. "That broomstick looks real dangerous," he adds sarcastically.

"Yeah? Well it is," Quackity huffs. "If you know how to use it, which I do."

George stifles a laugh against Dream's sleeve and Quackity looks even more offended. Even Montero hides a smile.

Minus Techno, Dream thinks, they don't seem dangerous. And if Techno hasn't killed them yet, he might not be that bad either.

"Give us some medical supplies, and we'll give you a quarter of this food," Dream decides. "We still need to drive back to our camp and bring our friends here. Once we've all talked, then we can figure something else out."

Montero nods, his earrings shimmering. "Deal."

Quackity grumbles as he leaves the cafeteria, heading to wherever they've stored their supplies to get some medical supplies. Dream and George sort through their food, until their pile is a decent size smaller than before. Dream's carrying a backpack and he stuffs their food away. The bag weighs heavily on his shoulders as he offers everything else to Montero and Techno, who stands rigidly by the door like he's blocking their exit.

"Thanks," Dream mutters to Montero, and he hides his smile as he feels George shoot daggers at him. Montero grins in response.

"See you later," he says.

Dream takes George's hand and they leave the cafeteria. Techno shifts just enough for them to pass through, and Dream shields George from him as they exit. He feels George release a breath when they're out in the open hallways. Quackity is waiting for them with three first aid kits stacked in his arms.

"Here," he grumbles. "If your people attack us, just know we can defend ourselves."

Dream glances down at his broomstick and nods grimly. "We don't doubt you."

George stifles another giggle as Dream pulls him away, carrying the first aid kits in one hand and holding George's with the other. They wander through the halls until they reach the exit. Dream holds the door open for George.

George takes one step outside and bursts into hysterical laughter.

"Did you see him?" he huffs, wiping at his eyes. "He's got a broomstick."

Dream chuckles despite himself. "I know. And he thinks he can beat us. With your aim and our knives, I just don't see that happening."

George is still laughing as he climbs into the passenger seat. "Do you think we can trust them? Not counting Lil Nas X."

Dream rolls his eyes. "I'm not a simp. I was just surprised to see such a big artist at a random school in Florida. Can you blame me?"

George mutters a "yes" and Dream shoves him lightly. But he turns a little more serious as he considers the question.

"They seem okay," he says. "I mean, they gave us medical supplies. We should trust them, especially if we're all going to be living in the school together."

George nods. "I guess," he says, still skeptical.

Dream turns to him and grabs his hand, intending to comfort him. George shifts his gaze to him and Dream feels the breath get knocked out of him. Whatever he was going to say disappears from his mind as George smirks a little and moves closer to him until they're inches apart, his hand still interlocked with Dream's.

"I'll trust you," George says softly, his breath cool on Dream's cheeks. Dream's heart beats wildly in his chest, and he can't stop himself. He leans forward too and captures George's lips with his own.

The kiss is sweet and gentle and perfect. Dream's free hand flies up to cup George's neck and pulls him in closer. George melts into him and Dream feels all his thoughts turn to mush. His heartbeat thuds loudly in his ears, but he focuses on George's soft lips and his ragged breathing. Dream tilts his head, deepening the kiss, and George groans softly. The sound awakens a storm of heat in him.

He forces himself to pull away. George's eyes are dark and hazy and his lips are pink and swollen. It's all Dream can do to look away. Suddenly, his face is burning and his thoughts catch up to him.

George giggles and settles back against his chair like nothing happened. His fingers are still caught in Dream's larger hand as he says, "Let's go back to camp." Dream just nods numbly and starts the car in a daze.

He only realizes then how long he's been waiting for this moment.

(1872 words)

Notes:

Ahhh first kiss!! Also Lil Nas X cause I want him back on the Smp... Lol idk. Hope u like it so far <3

Chapter 10: Memories and Fantasies

Notes:

This is for Dream's birthday!!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

George doesn't remember falling asleep, but the next thing he knows, he's back in the apartment he used to share with Dream and Sapnap.

He floats through the familiar hallway like a ghost. Tears prick his eyes as he wanders into the apartment and into a room. He sees himself on the sofa, sitting next to Sapnap. His head is resting on Dream's lap as they laugh together at a movie. Dream is absently playing with his hair. George hadn't realized it then that Dream had feelings for him. He hadn't even realized yet that he had feelings for Dream.

One of the bedroom doors opens. His room. He sees Dream pick him up after the movie ends and carry him into his room. George remembers being half-awake, cuddled against Dream's chest, inhaling the familiar scent of vanilla. Dream sets him down gently and tucks the blanket over him. George watches as a fond smile spreads over Dream's face. He watches him sleep for a while, before finally tiptoeing out of the room and closing the door behind him.

The dream shifts. George finds himself on standing on a sandy beach. Dream is swimming in the blue-green waves that are the same colour as his eyes. George sees himself at the edge of the water. Dream surfaces, his laugh making his eyes sparkle as he drags George into the water with him. He keeps his arms around George's waist as George kicks wildly at the water. But he's laughing too and even in his dream, George can't help the smile that spreads over his face.

His next dream is a recent scene. Their first kiss.

This time, George relives the kiss himself. He stares into Dream's green eyes and lets their lips touch. He feels the same heat in the pit of his stomach, the same flutter of his heart as Dream angles his head and deepens their kiss. He sees the same haze in Dream's eyes when he pulls away, the stunned disbelief, the love. He realizes then how obvious it should have been to both of them. Their feelings had been mutual for years, but neither of them had realized it.

Except the dream continues, even when their real kiss hadn't. Dream leans in again, and this time there's an urgency to the hard press of his lips and George finds himself falling into it. He shivers as Dream's hands trace his cheeks, his neck, his arms, until they settle on his waist and draw him in. George straddles Dream and loses himself in the sensation. He realizes it's only a fantasy this time, but it doesn't make the heat in his stomach go away. Not as Dream breaks their kiss only to tug off George's hoodie and his own shirt, not as George traces the hard lines of his muscled chest, not as Dream's hands dip lower and George lets out a groan. It all feels real and George finds himself wishing it was.

George starts awake in a cloud of confusion.

He glances around, taking in his unfamiliar surroundings. Fields of grass sway in a warm breeze and Grorge realizes they're moving, still racing passed everything in their convertible. His eyes land on Dream and widen.

Dream's cheeks are flushed pink and he avoids George's gaze, staring firmly at the road.

"What is it?" George asks. Some of the confusion fades away, but he's still disoriented.

"You were... dreaming," Dream stammers. His hands grip the wheel tightly.

George's dreams come back to him, the memories and the fantasies, and his own blush burns as brightly as Dream's. Had he said anything in his sleep? Had he actually groaned? One look at Dream's face says it's completely possible.

He can't bring himself to ask the question so he says, "Are we near camp yet?"

"Almost," Dream says. His voice is a little more normal, the pink staining his cheeks fading a little. "You were asleep for most of the drive."

"I dreamed about our apartment," George says, as he remembers the tears in his eyes, the obvious tension between him and Dream so long ago. "Memories."

Dream's grip on the steering wheel softens. "Good memories?"

"Yeah. Like when we went to that beach in Miami and you taught me to swim."

Dream scoffs. "More like I saved you from drowning."

George rolls his eyes. "Same thing." He pauses. "I didn't realize it then but..." George steels himself and forces the words out. "I like you, Dream."

He's not sure what he's expecting but his hands are balled into his sleeves, waiting for Dream's reply. But Dream only sighs dramatically.

"Still can't say 'I love you' to me? After everything we've been through?"

The tension in him loosens and he drops his hands from his sleeves. "Seriously? You just ruined my confession."

Dream bursts into laughter but George stays stubbornly serious. "Okay, fine. I like you too, George. Obviously. It's probably been obvious for a while."

"Yeah, you're really bad at hiding your feelings."

Dream shrugs. "That makes you really bad at reading people, if you didn't figure it out earlier."

George blushes. "Shut up. I figured it out I just..."

"You just?" Dream repeats, arching an eyebrow when George doesn't finish.

George slumps in his seat. "You're an idiot."

Dream laughs again and George's lips twitch despite himself. He feels Dream take his hand and interlock their fingers. He can't bring himself to pull away, or maybe he doesn't want to. Either way, he knows Dream can tell because he tightens his hold on George's hand.

They drive in comfortable silence and in those minutes, George doesn't want or need anything else. He's almost disappointed when they reach their camp. Three tents have been set up, but no one comes to greet them. The sky's darkening too, and the shadows make George nervous. He wonders if the others are okay as he exchanges a look with Dream. Dream seems a little tense too as he lets go of George's hand to grab his bag of supplies. They leave the car to walk towards the tents. In the quickly approaching night, George wishes they had asked Lil Nas X for a flashlight as well.

They hear a shot echo through the field. George's eyes widen. Dream grabs his hand again, and they start running towards the sound. Had someone gotten hurt? George thinks, and he almost stumbles on shaky legs.

But then, laughter clatters through the clearing. Dream pulls George to a stop as they take in the four makeshift targets set up in the trees. Bad and Skeppy are bickering over something near one of them and Karl and Sapnap are at the other. George raises an eyebrow when he notices Karl throw his arms around Sapnap. Last he'd checked, Sapnap hated being touched by anyone.

Sapnap notices them first. His smile drops and he assumes an expression that's meant to look tough. He shrugs Karl's arms off and starts walking toward them. Dream and George stifle their laughs before he reaches them.

Sapnap clears his throat. "You have the supplies?"

Dream pats the backpack. "We have everything. Ran into some people at the school, but we made a deal with them. We'll each take a floor so we can all live there. We'll leave in the morning."

"How are you guys doing?" George asks, unable to contain himself.

Sapnap's cheeks darken with a blush and George bites his lip to keep in his smile. "Not terrible. I taught them how to shoot, and they seem okay at it."

Dream glances over at Karl. "I didn't know you needed to hug someone to teach them how to shoot."

Sapnap shoots daggers at both of them and George breaks into a giggle. A smile tugs at the corners of Dream's lips.

"I don't see Bad and Skeppy hugging," George observes. Sapnap's flush deepens.

"Anyway," he snaps. "They know how to shoot now. That's what matters."

Dream shrugs and George nods. "That's what matters," George echoes seriously.

Sapnap's tough act drops. "Can't you guys be understanding at all? I'm not making fun of you, even though you're clearly dating now." He gestures at their interlocked hands. "I mean there's a reason Dream wanted to go on the supply run without me. And now we're gonna have to pick tents to sleep in, cause we only have three, and..."

Dream notices the issue first and an evil smile tugs at his lips. "We only have three tents so two people have to share right?"

Sapnap freezes as he realizes he gave himself away. But he nods. George can't help the giggle that escapes him.

"Bad and Skeppy are obviously sharing," Dream continues. "So that leaves me and George and you and Karl. And you're hoping me or George will share with Karl instead."

George laughs again and Sapnap groans. "You guys are pure evil. I saved your asses from the apocalypse. You owe me one."

"Actually Karl saved us," George points out. "He's the one with the car and the supplies. Technically, we owe him one."

Karl chooses that moment to saunter up to them. He casually slings an arm around Sapnap's shoulders and Sap stiffens a little. "What's this I'm hearing about someone oweing me something?" His eyes widen. "Oh, are we deciding sleeping buddies?"

"Don't call it that," Sapnap snaps and Karl giggles.

"Well, you two probably want to stay together right?" Karl asks, gesturing to Dream and George. They nod in unison. "So that leaves me and Nick. No big deal, right?"

"It's decided," Dream agrees.

"Sounds good," Karl says, grinning. "Come on, Nick," he adds, tugging at Sapnap's shoulder.

Sapnap sends a last glare at Dream and George, promising death, before Karl pulls him away. Dream and George stand in silence, stifling their laughter, until the other two are a distance away. Then, neither of them tries to stop the hysterical laughter. George laughs until his ribs hurt, and he has to wipe his eyes.

"Oh, God," Dream wheezes. But he grows a little more serious as he says, "So we're sharing a tent?"

George rolls his eyes. "Of course we are. What, you think I want to share with Sapnap?"

Dream grins broadly. "I guess not."

The warmth of Dream's hand keeps George grounded as they walk toward their tent. George's dream flits back to him, but he shakes it out of his head, cooling the heat creeping into his cheeks. But he can't help but smile at the thought of spending a night alone with Dream.

That's when he hears a bone-chilling growl behind him.

(1774 words)

Notes:

Sorry for the cliffhanger! Hope u guys like it so far <3<3

Also happy birthday Dream!!

Chapter 11: Fuck! Zombies Are Invading!

Notes:

Zombie fight scenes incoming...

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: swearing, zombies (obviously), weapons, fighting

"What the hell was that?" George says, whipping around at the same time as Dream.

Cold dread fills Dream at the haunting sound, the same growl he'd heard when he'd killed that zombie by the convertible. Except this time, another growl sounds and he realizes there's more than one zombie. Then, he realizes that George is still standing next to him, holding his hand tightly.

"What the fuck are you doing? Get to the tent," Dream says, letting go of George's hand and pushing him to safety.

George frowns. His face is pale but determined and it scares the shit out of Dream. "I can fight too, idiot," George says, sliding his bow off his shoulder. "I saved your life at the school, remember?"

There's footsteps approaching behind Dream. "Just leave while you still can," he says and his voice breaks. He remembers their kiss - their first kiss - and George's confession. His hands go to his knives. The promise he'd made at the very beginning of the apocalypse comes back to him: he'll protect George with his life. "I'll fight them off and get the others."

"I'm coming with you. You can't stop me."

Dream tries to argue but he doesn't get a word out. In a millisecond, George nocks an arrow into his bow and fires. Dream hears a thud behind him and whirls around. Panic thunders in his chest when he sees the dead zombie bleeding in the grass.

"See?" George manages to smirk. "I can save you too, Dream."

Dream swallows thickly, pushing down his panic. They'd managed to take out more zombies at the cafeteria, and they'd done it together. "Fine. But stay by my side."

"Always," George says quietly. They lock eyes and suddenly there's a million different things to say and not enough time. Dream settles on offering George his hand.

George takes it and squeezes. Then, weapons raised, they both charge in the direction of the zombies.

Sapnap's POV

A part of Sapnap wants to take the red convertible and speed away instead of facing Karl after their conversation with Dream and George.

Karl's arm is still heavy around his shoulder. He doesn't seem half as worried about sleeping together in the same tent even though it makes Sap uncomfortable. He'd much rather take on a hoard of zombies than have to brave lying next to Karl. The thought makes his cheeks burn and he hopes Karl can't see his blush in the twilight.

"So what now?" Karl asks. He nods toward Bad and Skeppy who are still bickering over by one of the targets. "Should we tell them the other two are back?"

Sapnap clears his throat. "We should take down the targets first. If all goes according to plan, we won't be staying here for long anyway."

Karl shoots him a curious look and Sapnap realizes that he still doesn't know about their plan to move into the school. Neither do Bad and Skeppy.

"I'll tell you later," he mumbles. "Can you maybe tell Bad and Skeppy to help with the targets?"

Karl raises an eyebrow. "What's the magic word?"

Sapnap rolls his eyes. "Just do it." But Karl just sidles closer to him until Sapnap ducks away. "Please," he grumbles and Karl whoops in victory.

"He's right, your honour!"

"What does that even mean?" Sapnap says, glaring at him. Karl just waves back and saunters off toward Bad and Skeppy, leaving Sapnap to gape after him.

He tries to ignore the heat still lacing his cheeks at Karl's casual touch. It's a distraction, one that every movie tells him to avoid in an apocalypse. Dream and George had caught them hugging and it was only because Sapnap had been too distracted by Karl's cologne - which made him more dizzy than he liked to admit - to pull away in time. Stupid distractions, he thinks, but it does nothing to calm his hammering heart.

Sapnap reminds himself that night is falling and zombies attack at night. As the co-leader of the group, he has to keep them safe. He's thankful for the weight of the shotgun still slung around his shoulder, fully loaded and ready to kill any zombie that attacks them.

Just then, he hears a shriek in the dark. He whips around, the shotgun already in his hands, cocked and loaded.

Skeppy's sprinting toward him. He looks terrified as he yells, "Fuck! Zombies are invading!"

As soon as he finishes his sentence, a growl sounds from the forest at the edge of the prairie. Right by the targets. Right where Karl is.

Sapnap curses and sprints toward the forest, leaving Skeppy to the safety of the tents. But his thoughts aren't on Skeppy or any of his other friends. They're on Karl, who's in danger because of his own stupid request. In danger because Sap asked him to remove the targets when he should have done it himself.

Fear courses through him, sending his heart thudding. Dimly, he remembers that Bad is there too and Bad can handle guns at least as well as him. But it barely matters in his rush to get to Karl's side. He can't even bring himself to feel embarrassed about his panic.

Especially not when a shot sounds from the forest. A dozen growls answer and Sapnap's blood goes cold.

"Karl!" he screams.

"Over here!" Karl yells back and Sapnap's heart drops in relief. Karl rushes toward him, fear lighting his eyes. Sapnap doesn't pull away when Karl slams into him. He just wraps his arms around him, trying to ignore Karl's trembling and the tears in his eyes. Like when they'd been practicing earlier.

"Where's Bad?" Sapnap asks quietly. "Is he alive?"

Karl shudders. "He's in the forest fighting a bunch of them. But he told us he's low on ammo so Skeppy went looking for you."

Sapnap quickly weighs his options. He doesn't want to leave Karl but... "Can you try to find Skeppy? He's by the tents. If you stay together, you'll be safe."

Karl's glossy eyes meet his. "What about you?"

"I'm going to fight them off. I need to save Bad."

Karl lets go of him, wiping at his eyes. "Promise me you won't die or I'll kill you myself."

Sapnap scoffs. "Of course I won't. I need to protect you, nimrod. And the others."

A smile ghosts over Karl's face. "As you should." He salutes. "See you soon, Captain."

Sapnap mimicks his salute and watches as Karl takes off toward the tents. He prays that Skeppy will be there to keep him safe, or that Dream and George are still nearby.

Another shot rings out and Sapnap breaks into a run, heading for the forest. A zombie bursts from the trees, moving sluggishly, and Sapnap shoots it in the head before it can take another step. He ignores the thud of its fallen body as he dives into the forest, aiming for the growls of approaching zombies.

"Bad!" he yells when another shot goes off.

"Sapnap?" Bad's voice answers, faint among the zombie groans.

"Thank fuck," Sapnap says as he catches sight of Bad, who's aiming a shotgun at the trees.

"Language!"

"Seriously? I came to save you from a zombie invasion and you're mad at me for swearing?"

Bad mutters something that sounds suspiciously like muffinhead just as a pair of zombies bursts through the trees.

Bad points his shotgun at them but it's empty. "I'm out of ammo," he warns and Sapnap takes out both zombies with two precise shots to the skull.

Despite their situation, pride flickers in him. He turns serious only as he faces Bad. "Get back to camp, Bad. Skeppy and Karl are there and they don't have any weapons."

Bad looks worried and Sapnap suspects it's as much for him as it is for his boyfriend. A small surge of gratitude fills him. But Bad doesn't question the order. "Be careful, Sapnap. I'll be back once Skeppy and Karl are safe."

"Protect them," is all Sapnap says. Bad nods and sprints away, leaving Sapnap at the mercy of the incoming hoard of zombies.

(1353 words)

Notes:

Btw thank you so much to everyone who's been reading this story so far, I appreciate all of you and I hope you enjoy the coming chapters! <3<3

Chapter 12: Professional Sharpshooter

Notes:

Zombie fight scenes continue...

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: zombies, blood, weapons, mild swearing

George is on Dream's heels as they head toward the forest where the groans sounded from.

They pass Skeppy and Karl, who are too breathless to do anything more but gesture wildly toward the forest. Then Bad, who just says "Sapnap!" before running after the others.

Dream curses under his breath. "That idiot's really fighting them all by himself?"

Of course he is, George thinks, even as worry surges through him. He didn't think even Sapnap was dumb enough to think he'd survive against that many zombies. If he was sacrificing himself, it was probably for Karl. The thought just makes George run faster, though his lungs burn and his legs hurt.

They hear the sounds of a battle a few feet before the forest. Two gunshots sound and a battle cry that George knows is Sapnap's.

"Guess we'll just have to rescue him," he mutters to Dream and they surge into the trees.

The world slows down as George takes in the five zombies surrounding his best friend. Sapnap slams his shotgun into one of their skulls, and fires at another but it's not enough. Even with Dream running towards him, his knives out, George knows they're outnumbered.

His movements are as natural as if he's been an archer his entire life. He loads the crossbow and fires three, rapid shots at the zombies heads. They collapse in a heap on the ground.

Sapnap whips his head around. "What the hell was that?"

George grins. "I'm a professional sharpshooter, idiot."

Sapnap mutters a curse and turns back to the forest where Dream is yanking his knife out of one of the zombies. "You guys didn't have to come and save me, I was fine."

"You didn't have to be dumb and take them all on by yourself," George retorts. He's only half paying attention though, because Dream's eyes are wide and he's panting. George remembers the incident at the school and worry streaks through him as he wonders if Dream will panic again. But Dream takes a deep breath, like he's centering himself, and spins around the face the upcoming zombies.

"We're all here now," Dream says, his voice steady. "Let's kill these things."

Sapnap nods in approval. George takes in Dream's tousled hair and burning gaze and the corded muscles in his arms as he grips his knives. And even though they're literally in the middle of fighting zombies, he can't help but wonder why he didn't realize how beautiful Dream was sooner. And why he didn't act on it until the world was a wasteland filled with monsters.

Dream feels his gaze on him and turns, worry creasing his brow. "What is it?"

George swallows. A groan sounds from the trees, saving him. "Watch out!" George warns and his arrow arcs right above Dream's head and buries into a zombie's eye.

"Don't distract me then," Dream mutters. He attacks the next zombie before George can, stabbing in a precise movement. The zombie falls, bleeding, to the ground.

Like at the cafeteria, when George had been too busy focusing on saving Dream's life to notice anything else, time seems to blur. George nocks arrow after arrow, Dream stabs and slices, and Sapnap shoots until he's out of ammo and has to use his weapon like a melee. All of George's thoughts shift to one: save his best friends from the monsters attacking them.

It's pitch black when the last zombie falls to the forest floor. Dream wipes his blades on his jeans and exhales slowly. George is out of breath, his face burning with exertion. He's out of arrows and his quiver hangs loosely over his shoulder.

"They're all dead," Sapnap says, his voice breaking as he laughs.

"That was epic," George agrees, flopping on the ground and dropping his crossbow. In that moment, he wants nothing more than to crawl into his tent and fall asleep snuggled next to Dream. The thought brings a tired smile to his face.

Dream stares at them. "You're both crazy."

Something about his tone makes George scoff. Then, he's laughing hysterically and Sapnap joins in. George's lungs burn for a different reason than before as he struggles to catch his breath.

When he looks at Dream, he's half expecting him to be laughing too. But Dream just swallows and turns away. George wonders if he's imaging the glossiness of his eyes or the tremble in his shoulders.

George stands and crosses to Dream, who refuses to meet his gaze. "Are you alright, Dream?"

"I'm fine," Dream mutters. "Just mad at these stupid zombies. And at you and Sapnap."

"How come?" Sapnap asks loudly, and George glares at him for interrupting their private conversation.

"How are you guys laughing after that? We could have died. We almost did."

"But we didn't," George finishes and Dream scoffs.

"Still. We just killed a bunch of monsters."

"They would have killed us," Sapnap says roughly, his eyes burning. "We did the right thing, Dream. Think about it, you protected George and me by killing them. You can't choke when you have people to save."

"I know," Dream says. "I'm glad they're dead. It just... scares me. That this is our world now."

He looks away, as if embarrassed. George notes the pink in his cheeks and a twinge of anger fills him. At the zombies and the apocalypse and everything that's scaring Dream, who's always the fearless one.

"We have to deal with it," Sapnap says. "Until it gets better."

"Plus we'll be safer when we reach the school," George adds, taking Dream's hand. It's sticky with blood but George squeezes it anyway. He feels Dream relax below his touch and some of the anger in his heart drains away. "We have Lil Nas X to protect us."

Dream lifts a brow, some of the fear leaving his face. "I thought you were jealous of him."

George pulls his hand away as Dream smirks. "I thought I have pretty privilege."

"True," Dream agrees and he smiles.

Sapnap looks between them. "Did you say Lil Nas X?"

George rolls his eyes. "Shut up, Sapnap." Dream chokes out a laugh and George feels instantly better as the sparkle returns to Dream's eyes.

"We should get back," Dream says, ignoring the questions on Sapnap's face. "We need to check on the others."

Sapnap's curiosity vanishes, replaced instantly by unveiled concern. "Shit," he says, and takes off before Dream and George can say anything.

George huffs a laugh. "He definitely has a thing for Karl, right?"

"One hundred percent."

George turns to Dream and sees a faint smile ghosting his lips. "Are you feeling better?"

Dream shrugs. "You're here with me. Why shouldn't I?"

"That is incredibly cheesy."

Dream laughs and the sound warms George's heart. "So is pretty privilege but I don't see you complaining."

"Because I can use that to my advantage," George says and Dream chuckles.

"We should head back, too," Dream says, eyes sparkling. "Otherwise, it'll be morning by the time we get to share a tent."

George notes the new blush surfacing on Dream's cheeks. "I didn't realize you were so eager to sleep with me."

Dream chokes on his next words and George bursts into laughter as he realizes why. "That came out wrong," he laughs as Dream splutters, his cheeks bright red.

"What is wrong with you?" Dream says when he can speak again.

George arches an eyebrow, deciding to push his luck - and Dream's comfort zone. "So you're telling me pretty privilege doesn't mean that?"

Dream stammers but apparently can't deny it. George bursts into new laughter, wiping at his eyes. He only sobers when he meets Dream's gaze. His eyes are bright and green and burning. George's dream comes back to him, the memory of Dream's eyes as he kissed him, and a blush darkens his own cheeks.

The tension lingers between them, almost tangible. George doesn't know if he should squirm below the weight of Dream's gaze or lean forward and kiss him. The idea is enough for the flutter of his heart to become a steady pounding.

Dream breaks the silence. "We should go," he stammers, tearing his gaze away.

George falls into step at his side as they exit the forest. "You seem flustered," he notes.

"Shut up," Dream mutters. "Just because you have the upper hand now, doesn't mean you will later."

For a moment, George's mind descends into thoughts of Dream's hands all over him and his body on top of his.

Dream seems to read the implication in his eyes because he smirks slowly. "We'll see who really wins this, George."

They've almost reached the camp and the voices of their friends reach George's ears. But all he can think of is the silent promise in Dream's words and the curling heat in his stomach as Dream saunters away.

(1475 words)

Notes:

Thinking of having a more regular upload schedule? Like, every Thursday maybe?

Hope u guys enjoy <3

Chapter 13: We're Leaving

Notes:

Cue dramatic music after the title...

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

(No trigger warnings but everyone is a little shaken after the attack)

"I'm gonna be honest," Karl says. "I would kill for some alcohol right now. Maybe not the best choice of words," he adds, huffing a laugh. But Sapnap notes that he's still paler than usual and the smile doesn't reach his worried eyes.

Actually, none of his friends are smiling, he notes as he looks around at their camp.

The tents are mostly untouched, thank God, except that one of them is partially crushed for some reason that Sapnap can't understand until Bad lets out a frustrated sigh.

"Skeppy tripped over it while he was busy running away from me."

Skeppy, who's been standing at Bad's side, his gaze unfocused, flinches and looks at his boyfriend. "I thought you were a zombie."

Bad rolls his eyes, but he's as pale as Karl. "Would a zombie be yelling Skeppy while he chased you?"

"I don't know, maybe," Skeppy exclaims, running both hands through his hair. "Can they talk?"

"Definitely not," Sapnap mutters, thinking of the zombies he'd fought. The sounds they made, the growls and groans, were terrifying but he'd never heard of zombies talking.

The rush that had burned through him during the fight disappears as he remembers the details more clearly. The zombies with their decaying bodies and bloodied mouths, their hands reaching for his friends. He thinks of the tears he saw in Karl's eyes and the panic on Skeppy's face when he'd told him about the attack. The zombies might not have reached the camp, but they had come too close to harming the people he cared about. And he wasn't going to forgive that any time soon.

Karl sniffles next to him and Sapnap's attention snaps to him. He'll kill the zombies that scared Karl.

"You okay?" he asks Karl gruffly.

Karl nods, dragging a hand over his face. He smiles weakly and a sudden jolt of respect for him runs through Sapnap. Despite everything, Karl is still trying to see the glass half-full.

Sapnap stares at him for a heartbeat longer than he needs to before he makes his decision. "We're leaving now," he announces just as Dream joins them. George is dragging behind him, and Sapnap notices that his cheeks are inexplicably pink. Something tells him it's not only because of the fight and he wonders if he even wants to know what happened between his two best friends while he was sprinting for Karl.

After the fight, he'd left his friends to check on the others. At least, that was what he'd told himself as he made a mad dash for the camp. But his gaze had skipped over Bad and Skeppy to land on Karl. Karl who was uninjured and who's eyes had brightened at the sight of him. For once, neither of them had said anything, but Sapnap had seen the relief shining in his eyes. Relief that he was alive, that the zombies hadn't hurt him. And Karl had been glued to his side since, hovering as close as he could without either of them actually touching.

Even if Sapnap had the weirdest urge to grab his hand.

Dream frowns, meeting Sapnap's gaze. "In the middle of the night?"

Sapnap has no idea what time it is, but he doesn't care. Even if that means waking up everyone in that whole damn school. "We need shelter. Our base has been compromised." He holds in a curse. "We shouldn't have camped so close to the woods. I should've realized."

He nearly jumps out of his skin when he feels something graze his hand. But Karl only taps him on the knuckles. "Don't beat yourself up about it. None of us knew any better either."

A thousand retorts jump into Sapnap's mind. They didn't know, but he was the one who'd seen zombie movies. He should've kept them from being attacked.

"Sapnap's right," George says quietly from where he's standing a little behind Dream. Dream swings his gaze to him, surprised, and something seems to pass between them. Sapnap feels a pang of irritation or jealousy but it quickly fades. He doesn't want to take his own frustration out on his friends.

Especially not when he remembers how much their chemistry helped them. How easily they fought together against the zombies, like two sides of a whole. Like they'd done it a million times before. It makes Sap wonder what they faced at the school and what they hadn't told anyone.

"It'll be morning by the time we get there," George continues. "Or almost morning. And we need a safer place to sleep. I don't know about you, but I'm not sleeping next to a zombie-infested forest."

Sapnap knows Dream is convinced just based on that. And Bad and Skeppy don't seem like they want to argue. Sapnap looks at Karl, who just nods at him. He looks sad and tired but his eyes are trusting. It makes Sapnap want to punch a zombie, or maybe himself, but he pushes the feeling away.

"Let's pack up, then," Sapnap says, and that's that.

The others disperse, each claiming a task, and somehow Sapnap is left alone with Karl to pack up the tents they'd built less than a day ago.

Karl is quieter than usual as he follows Sapnap to the nearest tent. And when their hands graze as they reach for the same corner of fabric, sending a jolt through Sap, Karl flinches and goes even paler.

Sapnap's eyes narrow.

"Sorry about that," Karl says easily, but his tone sounds forced and nothing like his usual laid back self.

"You're not okay," Sapnap announces.

Karl shoots him a glance. "Thanks for that little pick-me-up, I feel so much better now, Nick."

Sapnap rolls his eyes even as relief shoots through him at Karl's lighter words. "It's not meant to make you feel better. But you shouldn't lie to yourself if you're not feeling good. What's the point? It doesn't change anything."

Karl snorts. "Who could possibly feel okay after they got attacked by zombies? And almost died?"

"But we didn't die," Sapnap growls. "We're all alive and we're all okay. The zombies are the ones who died, not us."

Karl's hands tremble on the tent fabric and Sapnap's gaze zeroes in on the movement. "Yeah, but you guys had to risk your lives to kill them. All I did was run."

Karl's voice breaks on the last word and he lifts a hand to his mouth. But Sapnap suddenly understands Karl's tears, his reaction to the zombies, the relief in his eyes when he saw that Sapnap had come back from the woods, that he wasn't harmed.

"You feel bad that you didn't fight?" he asks, something like disbelief in his voice. He understands what Karl's feeling but it never crossed his mind that Karl would feel guilty about something that stupid.

Karl shrugs, turning away, but Sapnap glimpses the tears shining in his eyes. "I left you alone against those monsters. I didn't even have the courage to grab a weapon." He pauses. "Even Skeppy killed one of them. He shot it in the head before it could attack me. That's why he looked so out of it earlier. Even he did something and I did nothing."

"Yeah, cause I told you to do nothing," Sapnap says. "I didn't ask you to fight, I asked you to find Skeppy and stay safe."

Karl turns to face him, lifting his eyebrows. "I didn't know you dictated what I do now."

Sapnap shuts his mouth, cheeks flaming. But Karl only gives him a half-smile and says, "I get why you told me to stay safe and that's what I did. But I don't want that to be my only job, not when you're risking your life while I'm out here hiding like a nimrod."

Sapnap can say and do nothing as Karl meets his gaze, his eyes brimming with tears... and burning with determination. The look sends fear bolting through Sapnap but he holds the stare and waits for whatever it is Karl's getting to.

"When we get to... wherever we're going," Karl says. "I want you to teach me how to shoot again. I want to get over my stupid phobia. I want to fight next to you, with you, next time we get attacked."

Karl seems to take a deep shuddering breath like a weight has been eased off his chest. And despite the fear welling in Sapnap as he imagines Karl fighting against zombies, a streak of pride also flares through him; Karl wants to overcome his phobia. And he wants Sapnap to help him.

"Of course I'll teach you," Sapnap grumbles. "I want you to be able to defend yourself too."

Karl finally smiles, his eyes brightening until they're gleaming and Sapnap's breaths feel short. "Thanks, Nick."

Karl touches his hand lightly in gratitude and Sap feels the urge to hug him, to hold him until he's no longer sad or afraid. Karl meets his gaze and he seems to notice whatever is there because he slips his hand into Sapnap's and squeezes tightly. Sapnap finds himself squeezing back.

As they continue packing the tents, Karl at his side, Sapnap can almost forget the anger branding through him at the thought of the zombies that attacked his friends. And even though Karl will soon be able to protect himself if he has anything to say about it, he promises himself that he'll kill any zombie that threatens them again. Even if it means putting his own life on the line.

(1596 words)

Notes:

So I'm definitely gonna have a chapter in Karl's perspective soon that might explain some of his backstory...

Love u guys <3

Chapter 14: Welcome To Our Base

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: anxiety, violence, weapons, swearing, blood

Something like disappointment shoots through George as their group disperses, pairing up to pack for their trip.

He feels stupid for it. Obviously the fact that he won't get to share a tent with Dream barely matters compared to reaching the school. Or it should barely matter.

Because despite everything, his heart falls at the thought.

"Guess we're not sleeping together tonight," Dream mutters beside him, and George jolts at the words. Had Dream read his mind?

George shrugs. "Didn't want to anyway."

A smile tugs at the corner of Dream's lips. "I'm so sure. Weren't you the one who brought it up in the forest?"

George gives him a flat look. "That was definitely not me."

"You're such an idiot," Dream sighs, but he's smiling and a sudden burst of relief hits George. He's glad that Dream's gotten over his fear, the vulnerability he'd shown in the forest. The fragile look in his green eyes.

George pulls his thoughts away from that fear, the fear that had filled him as well as he'd looked at Dream, and glances around the camp. "Should we help them?"

Karl and Sapnap are busy taking down tents and Bad and Skeppy are shoveling piles of cans into bags. A part of George wants to help but...

"Seems like they don't need our help," Dream finishes his thought. "But your choice." Then, Dream pauses as though he's figured out something monumental and George resists the urge to roll his eyes. "Or, we could just wait in the car."

This time, George actually rolls his eyes. "That sounds incredibly boring and selfish."

Dream glances sideways at him. "Let me rephrase that. I don't think wait is the right word."

George scoffs, but his cheeks feel suddenly hot and he remembers their conversation in the forest after the attack. "That actually sounds just as boring. And also ridiculous."

Dream shrugs, too innocently. "Ridiculous, maybe. But I can promise you it won't be boring."

George shoots an incredulous look at Dream and finds the latter already staring at him. Green eyes, dark and heated, meet his and George feels heat brand through him. It takes everything in him to pull his gaze away, even though he doesn't want to. And, as Dream chokes out an awkward laugh, his bravado gone, George wonders what would have actually happened if they had gotten to spend the night alone in a tent.

Dream's POV

If Dream said he wasn't enjoying the pink tinting George's cheeks, he'd be lying.

Even as George turns away and Dream laughs, the sound strangled, he wonders what George is thinking about. And how he feels about what he's thinking about, if his flushed cheeks are any indication.

He's blatantly flirted with George now and in the forest, something somewhat unlike him. But the light words and teasing are the only things grounding him. Especially when, every time he closes his eyes, he finds himself back in the forest with his friends, fighting for their lives. And sees the zombies, their growls chilling and their mouths stained red as they lurch toward him and toward George and Sap.

As he kills them with a stab of his knives and hears the sound of bone crunching as his blades pierce their skulls.

He doesn't know how his friends are so nonchalant about it. How George can smile and blush so easily after taking down a dozen zombies with his crossbow.

"Dream?" George says, frowning. And Dream realizes then that he's grateful George can still smile, even if he doesn't understand how.

"George?"

George huffs out a laugh. "The others are almost done. We should go to the car."

Dream arches a brow. "To do what?"

"To wait, idiot."

Dream smirks. "Fine, if that's what you want," he says and George rolls his eyes and grabs his hand. Dream can't help but feel a little better as George interlocks their fingers and some of his fear ebbs away.

It takes another ten minutes for their friends to pile into the convertible. Dream and George are the first ones in, and this time, Dream doesn't complain when George sits chooses to sit on his lap again. He's grateful for the press of George's back on his chest, the warmth that seeps into him. And when George shifts a little, all thoughts of zombies vanish from Dream's mind in a heartbeat.

Bad offers to take the wheel, and Dream has to hold on to his seat as Bad speeds them away from the field, the tires screeching on the road. But Dream barely notices as something in his chest loosens. He can't help the relief that fills him as the forest disappears behind them.

His arms tighten around George, and he's feeling a lot better until Sapnap gives them both a glare that clearly says, no one wants to see your pda, jackass. Dream rolls his eyes but just then, George shifts and Dream forgets about Sapnap.

"I forgot this car ride was so long," George complains in a whisper.

Dream pokes him in the ribs. "We'll be there soon," he whispers back, close enough to George's ear that he feels the shiver that goes through him. Dream smirks and moves even closer, his mouth grazing the tip of George's ear, and he can sense George's breathing go shallow before he says, "Don't you want to see Lil Nas X again?"

George elbows him in the stomach, hard enough that Dream's laugh turns into a cough. "You ruined the moment, idiot," he says, and turns his head.

"Oh, come on," Dream says and George pinches his wrist. "Wouldn't you say your abusiveness ruined the moment?"

"That's not a word, idiot," George and Sapnap say at the same moment.

Karl's eyes flicker between George and Sapnap, then settle on Dream, a smile spreading over his face. "Rough, dude. They got you there."

"There's no privacy in this fucking car," Dream grumbles, but he can't be mad as George, Sapnap, and Karl exchange grins and Bad and Skeppy stifle laughter from the front.

The atmosphere is lighthearted until they pull up to the school.

It looks the same, a block of concrete with heavy metal doors that lock from the inside. Dream and George are the only ones to notice the differences. The furniture piled outside the doors, the black, door-less jeep that wasn't there before.

"It's probably guarded," Dream says, and George nods, his small hands grabbing his bow and quiver.

Sapnap is the first out of the car, a rifle slung over his shoulder, his baseball bat hanging at his belt. Even Karl has a pistol at his waist, his eyes determined. But he flinches slightly every time his hand brushes the metal.

Bad carries a shotgun and a tomahawk - Dream wonders where he got that from - at his belt. Skeppy has a knife and a pistol. With George's bow and Dream's knives, he realizes they probably look a lot like the people in Sapnap's zombie movies.

"Okay," he says once they're all out of the car. "We made a deal with these people so they should be peaceful. Those barricades at the doors weren't there before, meaning they probably put them up against zombies. We need to a find a way into the school, though."

"All of the doors are probably barricaded," Sapnap says thoughtfully. "And the windows should be locked. Do we have any way to communicate with them?"

Dream and George exchange a glance. "We told them we would be back, but we didn't say when," Dream clarifies.

"Great job, guys," Sapnap says, rolling his eyes. "Super helpful. So we're stranded out there until either they find us or we break in."

"Yup," George says.

"I can pick locks," Bad offers and everyone turns to face him, wide-eyed. "If we just move that furniture, I can get us in, even if the doors are locked."

"You can what?" Skeppy yelps. "What the hell, Bad? And you didn't tell me?"

"Language!" Bad says, and Dream wonders if he realizes the irony: the fact that he seems to have an entire arsenal of weapons and the ability to break into a school but he balks at a curse word. "It's for..."

"If you say 'protection'..." Skeppy and Karl say at the same time.

Sapnap's already striding toward the doors. "We need to move this first, but we don't know if they've set up anything else. There could be a blockade on the inside, or a booby trap."

"Pretty sure those are only in the movies," Karl says.

"Yeah? Well zombies were only in the movies, too, and look where we are now."

"Come on, then," George says. He leaves Dream's side to join Sapnap by the wall of furniture. It's only then that Dream notices the blood coating one of the chair legs. Bile rises in his throat as he realizes that a zombie might have been impaled on the chair... and then pulled off and killed. He thinks back to the survivors he and George had met, trying to picture one of them being cold-blooded enough to do it. The thought of Lil Nas X or that kid with the broom handle doing it... His thoughts go to Techno, the tall, stone-faced one who even Dream had been intimidated by.

"Wait," Dream starts to say as his friends move to the furniture.

Karl is the second one to notice the blood. He shrieks and backs away, bumping into Dream, who grabs his arm to steady him. There's a fear in Karl's eyes that goes deeper than the blood. The same fear that tremors through him whenever he touches his gun. Dream locks eyes with Sapnap, who rushes to Karl's side. His friend's eyes are just as worried.

Sapnap grabs Karl by the shoulders to steady him, and Karl melts into his arms, shuddering.

"Guys," Skeppy says suddenly. "I hate to interrupt the moment, but..." He points a shaky finger to the windows in the heavy metal doors.

Dream hears footsteps and muffled voices from inside, before he notices the two people on the other side of the window. He relaxes a little, despite himself, when he sees no sign of Techno. Quackity is still holding a broom stick like it will save him from zombies, and Montero is defenseless save for Quackity, who seems to be acting as he escort.

"You came back," Quackity calls through the doors. "Great," he adds, in a deadpan voice that suggest he's not the happiest to see them.

But Montero smiles broadly and opens the doors. He does it carefully, making sure none of the furniture shifts, and Dream realizes there very well could be a booby trap set to impale someone when it's triggered.

Montero takes in their group: Skeppy staring at him with shining eyes, Bad and George a few steps back and seeming annoyed, Karl still in Sapnap's arms. And Dream, at the front of the group, his knives sheafed. He can't help the stutter in his heart when Montero meets his gaze and spreads his arms.

"Welcome to our base" Montero says by way of greeting.

(1862 words)

Notes:

The meet-up finally happened!! I literally can't wait for the interactions between this group! Hope u like it so far <3

Chapter 15: Lil Nas X

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: swearing, mild anxiety

If George had thought Dream was a simp...

George and Bad watch in disbelief as the rest of their friends try not to simp over the celebrity. Skeppy's more jittery than usual, his body practically vibrating when Montero shakes his hand. Karl starts an easy conversation with him; apparently he can talk to anyone, celebrity or not. But his tears have dried and he grins wildly when Montero laughs at something he says. Even Sapnap greets him grudgingly and his ears turn scarlet when Montero asks him his name. George would normally use that against him for the rest of his life, but...

But Dream is standing next to Montero, his green eyes practically shining when Montero turns to him. And George is pretty sure he isn't imagining the pink that laces his cheeks. George scoffs and Bad shakes his head as his boyfriend runs back to him, holding his hand out like it's a trophy.

"He shook my hand," Skeppy hisses.

"So?"

Skeppy looks at Bad, then at George. "I don't want to associate with either of you," he declares, and goes to join the others.

George puffs out a laugh at the horrified look on Bad's face. But his own attention is distracted by Montero, leading Dream and the others inside. George and Bad follow, reluctantly, and they're stopped at the door by Quackity, the broom stick guy.

"I remember you," Quackity announces, like it's a big deal. "And I still don't trust you."

"No one asked," George finds himself saying. To his surprise, Quackity hides a shocked laugh by bursting into a coughing fit.

"That doesn't make me like you any more," he says through a cough. George arches an eyebrow at the amused tone in his voice, and decides that maybe Quackity does like him more. Not that it really matters one way or the other.

Quackity points a menacing finger at them, but he keeps his broom stick away from them. "If any of you so much as fucking- "

"Language," Bad cuts him off in an offended tone.

Quackity looks genuinely surprised as he turns to look at Bad. "What?"

"I said, language. Don't swear."

Quackity huffs like he's at a loss for words. "Who the hell are you?"

"Bad," Bad says, crossing his arms.

Quackity's eyes go to the gun strapped at his back and the tomahawk at his hip. "So you carry weapons but you can't deal with a swear word? And what about your name?"

"What about my name?" Bad asks, perplexed. George watches the exchange and tries not to laugh at both of their confused faces.

"Your name is literally Bad. Doesn't that imply something?"

Bad blushes a little. "It's a nickname my friends gave to me."

Quackity stares at him. "And it says nothing about your personality?"

"Of course not," Bad says. "It's a joke cause I'm the opposite of my name."

George decides he can't hold his laughter in anymore, and he leaves before they can notice him. Apparently though, Bad and Quackity are too busy debating to even notice as he heads down the hallway, the way Dream and the others had gone. Quackity doesn't seem like a threat, especially considering Bad's experience with weapons, and George doubts Bad would need any help against most opponents.

Just as George is starting to wonder where the others went, someone yells, "George!" and George stumbles back a step, holding back a curse as Sapnap leaps out a classroom.

"What the hell was that?" George says, clutching at his chest. He doesn't want to admit the burst of fear, the thought that a zombie might of attacked him and he might not have moved fast enough, even with his bow. The fact that he might have been ripped apart from Dream right when things were perfect. So he glares at Sapnap, who slings an arm around his shoulders.

"I'm here to protect you, Gogy. I'm your knight in shining armor."

George shoves his arm off and ducks away before Sapnap can grab him again. "Don't you have someone else to protect? Namely Karl?" George smirks. "Or a certain celebrity?"

Sapnap's ears go red. "Why do I even try to protect you, jackass?"

"Protect what now?" another voice says, and George can't fight the smile that spreads over his face as Dream appears at his side. Dream puts a protective arm around George and hugs him to his side. "What did you just call my George?"

Sapnap gags and even George snorts and pushes Dream off him. "Way to make things awkward, Dream," he grumbles. Dream's answering smile is bright and beautiful and for a second, George almost forgets that he was blushing at Lil Nas X a moment ago.

"On that note," Sapnap mutters and he ducks back into the classroom they had been in. George catches a glimpse of the others sitting on desks around a white board as Montero draws something to illustrate  whatever great plan he has. George has to fight his next eye roll, if only because Dream catches what he's looking at.

Dream smirks. "Jealous much?"

"You wish. But I might hate it less if you weren't literally drooling over him."

Dream's cheeks go pink. "I am not. Besides, everyone's excited. And they're helping us, to be fair, so we should try to make friends."

George crosses his arms. "I didn't see you trying to make friends with Quackity or Techno. Me and Bad are already best friends with Quackity."

Dream huffs. "Quackity? The broom stick guy?"

"You said make friends."

"Yeah, but..."

George returns his smirk and says, "Jealous much?"

Dream rolls his eyes, but his jaw tightens and George wonders if he actually is jealous. The thought is weirdly enticing and George shakes his head. Maybe the zombie attack rattled him more than he'd thought.

"Let's go inside," Dream says, gesturing to the classroom with Montero and the others. "Friends or not, we should talk to them if it's gonna keep us safe here."

George hears the slight tremble in Dream's voice. "Are you okay, Dream? Honestly?"

Dream's eyes shutter. "I'm fine, George. You should worry about yourself."

There's something raw in his words that even Dream can't hide, and George decides not to push him, even as curiosity lights in him. He doesn't want to admit it, but he is worried. And whatever Dream says, it's not for himself.

"That attack was a surprise to everyone," he says instead. "It's okay to be shaken. Everyone is."

Dream studies him, his green eyes dark and intense, and whatever speech George had planned dries on his tongue. His treacherous mind replays their kiss in the convertible and his cheeks are definitely red. An equally treacherous part of him hopes that incident will reoccur, even though he's supposed to be helping Dream face whatever worries the zombie attack left him with.

They're still for a moment before Dream finally pulls his gaze away. George lets out a breath and realizes he hasn't been breathing. His skin feels tingly and Dream's cheeks are as flushed as his are.

"Come on," Dream says. He touches George's arm lightly as he brushes past him into the classroom. George shivers and it takes a few seconds to reorient himself.

"Hey, asshole," a now-familiar voice says and George rolls his eyes as Quackity and Bad join him in front of the door. Bad mutters another 'language' as he shakes his head at him.

"Are you following me?" George says, turning to Quackity with crossed arms.

Quackity's eyes widen as he splutters. "What? You guys are the ones who stole our base."

George scoffs. "We had a deal, idiot. Technically it's not stealing."

"Yeah, whatever," Quackity mutters and pushes past him into the classroom. George grins as Bad shakes his head at both of them.

George and Bad are the last to enter the classroom, but George notices Techno is missing. He thinks back to the barricade of furniture at the doors. Montero and Quackity couldn't have set it up, and Quackity's broom couldn't do anything against zombies. Techno must be the one defending the school.

"We were attacked," Sapnap is saying to Montero. His smile is gone and the mood in the classroom is somber. George's own smile disappears as he stops next to Dream. Even Karl looks grim. "Our base wasn't safe anymore so we came here. Dream says you guys made a deal with him. We can help gather supplies and keep this place safe."

Montero and Quackity are wide-eyed. "You guys took out that many zombies?" Montero says, admiration in his voice. For a second, George feels proud before he remembers the way Dream stared at the singer when they met. His pride slips and he wants to nock his crossbow and fire an arrow at his head.

"We had no choice," Dream says, his eyes intense. "They would have reached our camp."

The classroom goes silent. "Wow," Montero says and that seems to encompass everything.

"Finally," a deep voice says, making everyone jump. George whips around and finds himself face to face with Techno. He's even taller than Dream and he towers in the doorway, filling the entire space. "We might actually stand a chance now that we have decent fighters."

Quackity looks genuinely offended and George wants to burst out laughing. But his eyes find Sapnap. His friend is analyzing Techno like he's wondering if he could fight him and quickly realizing who would win.

"Why is everyone here so fucking tall?" Sapnap mutters, low enough that only Karl and George catch it, and they both stifle their laughter.

George feels a sudden warmth at his side as Dream moves to stand closer to him, his stance protective. And George can't help but feel a lot safer with Dream's arm pressed against his, his green eyes burning with warning as he eyes Techno. The latter only smirks but the sudden silence is broken then by Montero, who claps his hands together.

"That reminds me," he says, looking around their group. "Do you guys wanna see your floor?"

(1683 words)

Notes:

Thank you so much everyone who's been reading this, I love y'all!!

Also I'm so excited to release the next few chapters, I love this group so much! Definitely some new perspectives coming soon too, so I hope u enjoy <3

Chapter 16: We're Clear

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: swearing, mild anxiety

"This is so much better than the field," Skeppy mutters as they follow Montero up a stairwell to the second floor. Dream feels inclined to agree, especially when Montero flings open the door and leads them into a wide hallway.

"Here's your floor," Montero says with an easy smile. "You guys get the whole thing to share however you want. We've already moved into the first floor but any time we need to collaborate on anything, like food or supplies, we can use either floor."

"Have you cleared it?" Sapnap asks. He still has a look of wonder in his eyes whenever he looks at Montero, but his voice is firm.

Montero scrunches his eyebrows in confusion but Techno's tall form fills the stairwell behind them. Dream feels goosebumps touch his skin as Techno's deep voice rumbles to them, "I took care of it. You can check if you don't trust us."

Sapnap looks annoyed and Dream steps in before his friend can ruin their chances of an alliance. "We can deal with it ourselves." George steps up at his side and Dream feels instantly stronger and more assured.

Another voice echoes through the stairwell, "Who the fuck thought it would be a good idea to make me carry all of this shit?"

George giggles at Dream's side as Quackity appears, half-buried under a bunch of blankets and sleeping bags. Bad mutters a "language" but he stifles a laugh as Quackity walks into a post and backs away cursing. Montero winces but explains, "These are your supplies for the night."

"Thank you," Dream says and George nods reluctantly.

"We'll leave you to get settled," Montero says. Quackity drops their supplies to the floor, glares at them, and starts down the stairwell. Montero and Techno follow and Dream and his friends are left alone in the empty hall.

The silence is broken by Karl's laughter. "That Alex guy is hilarious," he cackles.

Sapnap gives him a questioning look. "Alex?"

"Quackity," Karl explains like it's obvious and Sapnap exchanges a look with Dream.

"How the fuck did you figure that one out, bud? And he's not hilarious, he's an idiot."

George mouths bud to Dream and they both hide their laughter at Sapnap's tough act. Karl seems to notice the same thing because he can't speak for another minute, laughing. When he finally catches his breath, he says, "Why, are you jealous?"

Sapnap turns bright red. "Are you stupid?"

"You didn't deny it," Bad points out innocently and Sapnap shoots him a death glare.

"Hello?" George interrupts. "Don't we have bigger things to worry about? Like zombies maybe?"

"Obviously," Sapnap sputters. "We need to clear the floor, check for zombies in the classes so they don't kill us when we're sleeping."

"How about we split into pairs?" Skeppy suggests, and Dream coughs to hide his laugh as Sapnap glares at him, too.

"Sure," Dream says before his friend can protest. "You and Bad can go together. I'll go with George. And Sap, you can be with Karl. I mean, go with Karl, sorry."

George turns away to hide his laughter, Karl claps a hand over his mouth, and Sapnap's mouth drops open. "What the hell, dude?"

But George has already grabbed Dream's hand. He starts to drag Dream away before Sapnap can start a fight. "Have fun with Karl, Sapnap!" he says, brightly.

Dream and George turn a corner before bursting into laughter.

"Did you see his face?" George laughs and Dream wheezes as he remembers the panic in Sapnap's eyes.

"He should just admit his feelings," Dream says when he's calmed down enough. "I mean, Karl clearly knows. Sap's not exactly convincing anyone."

George nods, the light still dancing in his eyes. But they both fall silent as they reach the first classroom, its door shut. George has an arrow nocked into his crossbow before Dream's even grabbed a knife. They both pause at the door.

It takes a few moments for Dream's head to clear. His heartbeat is slamming against his chest and his palms are sweaty. But he blinks away the images of zombies and steels himself.

"You ready?" he asks, though the question is as much for him as it is for George. George nods. Before he can convince himself not to, Drean pushes open the door and flicks on the lights.

It's empty. No zombie comes rushing to greet them and Dream lets out a breath he didn't realize he was holding.

George's hand closes around his and Dream nearly jumps out of his skin. But the warmth keeps his fear at bay as they shut the door, and move onto the next classroom.

It takes them a few minutes to go through each classroom in their hallway. The same empty rooms greet them. Either there were no zombies here to begin with, Dream thinks, or Techno did a perfect job of taking care of them. The thought isn't exactly comforting, but at least no zombie jump scares them as they reach the last classroom.

"This one's empty, too," Dream says, closing the door behind him.

"You guys finished?" Karl asks, popping his head around a corner.

Dream exhales. "You scared the shit out of me."

George giggles and Karl smiles, but he looks a little pale. "Did you guys find anything?"

George shakes his head. "What about you? Where's Sapnap?"

"We're clear!" Sapnap yells from somewhere down the hallway.

"Us too!" Skeppy calls from further away.

"Thank fuck," Dream mutters and Karl seems equally relieved.

"Now we can pick classrooms to share," Karl says and there's an evil glint in his eye. "You two are sharing right? And Bad and Skeppy?"

"Hold up," Sapnap says, rounding the corner as Dream and George hide their smiles. "I don't think we should split up, at least for the first night. We still don't know if we can trust the others and I don't want us to be halfway across the school if something happens to one of us."

His tone is perfectly serious and Dream would believe him if he didn't know him well enough to recognize the panic in his eyes.

"Sounds like you're making excuses," George says, echoing Dream's thoughts. "Why is that, Sapnap?"

"I am not making excuses," Sapnap splutters. "I'm being reasonable. As the leader of the group..."

"Woah, back up there, bud," Karl says, a smile in his voice. "You mean co-leader. To be clear."

A smile spreads over Dream's face. "And as the other co-leader, I think we should pair up. That way, they can't attack us all at once. We might actually be safer."

Sapnap stares at him. "That's bullshit."

George shrugs next to Dream. "I think it's a good idea."

"Same here," Karl says and Sapnap's face falls.

"Tough luck, dude," Karl says and Dream claps him on the shoulder. "You'll survive."

Sapnap glares at both of them, but they're interrupted by Bad and Skeppy.

"Hey, Dream," Bad says. "Montero mentioned that he wanted to talk to you, by the way. Something about school protection, I think."

Sapnap frowns. "What about me?"

Bad shrugs. "I don't know, but they also want George there. Techno requested it."

Dream's eyes narrow. "Techno asked?"

Bad nods innocently and George looks surprised. But it's nothing compared to the heat branding through Dream's chest as he tries to imagine what Techno could possibly want with George. He doesn't realize that his hands are clenched until George shoots him a look.

"Dream?"

Dream loosens his grip. "Sorry " he mutters. He turns to Bad. "When does he want to talk?"

Skeppy answers for him. "He said in the morning, after we've slept. Montero wants us to be comfortable."

There's shining admiration in his eyes and voice and Bad rolls his eyes. George follows suit, discreetly enough that only Dream notices. The jealousy spreading through his chest disappears and a smile tugs at his lips.

"We'll worry about it later then," Dream says. He interlocks his fingers with George's and squeezes his hand. "And I'll admit that Sapnap's right about one thing. We should sleep in the same classroom until we're sure we can trust the others. Just in case."

"Thank God," Sap mutters.

"Sapnap, why are you being mean?" George says and Dream rolls his eyes at both of them.

"Why do you always start arguments?" he mutters just as Sapnap emphasizes, "I am not."

Karl gives Sap a look and George lets out a giggle.

"So, should I tell him you'll go?" Skeppy says, practically bouncing on his toes with excitement.

Bad rolls his eyes and Dream hides a smile as he says, "We'll talk to him tomorrow then."

As Dream and the others find a classroom to settle into - Dream decides it would be safer to sleep in the same classroom for now - all thoughts of Techno and Montero vanish in a heartbeat. George's presence is a warmth at his side and it takes all of Dream's will to slow his thundering heartbeat down. Tonight he and George will be sharing a room and, even as he reminds himself that they won't be alone, their kiss replays itself in his mind, over and over again as he helps his friends set up for the night.

(1530 words)

Notes:

Ok so this chapter's kinda bad because it's a transition but I promise the next chapters are really good! Next chapter might be a skephalo one...

<3<3

Chapter 17: Just in Case

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: language, zombies, weapons, blood

"Bad, talk to me," Skeppy whines and Bad rolls his eyes for the millionth time that night.

The others are setting up the classroom they're all going to sleep in that night, but Bad told Dream he wanted to take watch, just in case. He trusts Montero and the others - even if Quackity is a muffinhead - but he still feels safer with a rifle strapped to his back and a tomahawk at his belt. Just in case.

"WHY AREN'T YOU TALKING TO ME?"

"Oh my God," Bad mutters. "I'm not talking to you because I'm dealing with you, Skeppy."

Skeppy makes a face, clutching his own rifle to his chest. Normally it would be cute, if Bad wasn't already upset with him from before. "What does that even mean?"

"It means I'm dealing with you!"

Just then, Sapnap pops his head out of the classroom. "What are you guys doing out here?"

"Keeping watch," they both say in unison.

Sapnap raises an eyebrow and opens the door a little wider, giving Bad a view of the others. Karl is laying out a sleeping bag in a corner of the classroom beside another sleeping bag and Bad wonders if he's going to be sleeping next to Sapnap. Meanwhile, Dream and George have disappeared.

"Doesn't sound like you're keeping watch," Sapnap murmurs.

"Where are Dream and George?" Bad asks and a shiver of worry crosses him on instinct. Skeppy's brows draw together as he too notices their absence.

But Sapnap just scoffs. "Probably went out for some privacy or something. I don't really want to know what they do when they're alone."

Bad huffs out a laugh. "Well, we're good here, so you don't have to worry about us."

Sapnap nods and turns a bit more serious. "Thanks for keeping watch, Bad. Not that I don't trust Montero and them, but it's still better to be safe."

Bad nods and Skeppy frowns. "I'm keeping watch too, asshole."

Bad turns on him. "Language, muffinhead!"

"Okay, calm down, guys," Sapnap says, a smile tugging at his mouth. "Maybe focus on keeping watch?"

He leaves them out in the hallway and shuts the door behind him. As soon as he's gone, Skeppy whips around to face Bad.

"So why aren't you talking to me?"

"I'm not not taking to you!"

"What does that even mean."

Bad glances around at the empty hallway as if pretending to search for zombies when he's really searching for an excuse. But the truth slips out. "Because... why were you so excited about meeting Montero earlier?"

Skeppy's eyes go wide. "Are you kidding me, you're jealous?"

"No! I am not jealous."

Skeppy crosses his arms. "Then why do you care if I was talking to Lil Nas X? He's literally a famous celebrity, of course I was excited!"

Bad's voice sounds skeptical even to him as he says, "So what if he's a famous celebrity?"

"Oh my God," Skeppy mutters, but he doesn't get a chance to say anything else. Just then, a faint growl sounds from somewhere below them and Bad's hands fly to his weapons.

"Skeppy, did you hear that?"

Skeppy looks pale as he nods and his fingers tremble on his rifle strap. Bad grabs one of his hands, squeezes it gently, and says, "You don't have to come if you don't want to."

"No." Skeppy's brows scrunch together. "I want to. I have to."

Bad nods and, with a last look at the door to their classroom, they rush down the hallway and toward a stairwell. If worst comes to worst, Sapnap can defend Karl and Dream and George are both capable fighters. Bad's not worried as he scrambles down the stairs, still holding onto Skeppy's hand as they run.

When they reach the first floor, the growls sound again, this time much closer than before. Bad cocks his rifle and angles it into a shooting position. He pokes his head around a corner and catches sight of three zombies dragging down the hall.

"Keep behind me," Bad whispers, and Skeppy nods his agreement.

The zombies don't even see what hits them. Bad takes them all down with a headshot and Skeppy winces at the thud from each body. Bad squeezes his hand again as they stare at the bloody bodies.

"There might be more," Skeppy whispers loudly. "We should check or the others might get hurt."

Bad nods his approval and they continue down the hallway, stepping over the zombies. Another groan sounds from inside a classroom with an open door. This time, Bad hears the scrape of metal as well.

He pauses outside the door, dragging Skeppy to a stop as well. Inside the classroom, half a dozen zombies are lurching towards a corner, their groans echoing in the room. And in the corner, Techno is leaning against the wall, casually flipping two long knives between his fingers.

He smirks when he sees them. "Apparently, I'm not the only one looking for a fight tonight."

Bad frowns. "We heard noises, we weren't looking for a fight."

Techno just shrugs. "Suit yourselves."

He moves in a blur, swinging both knives in a downward motion. Two zombies fall, decapitated, to the floor. Their blood stains Techno's boots as he slices through the other four zombies in a matter of seconds. A splatter of blood sprays over his face and he wipes it away casually with the sleeve of his jacket.

"Now that that's over," he mutters and Bad blinks. Skeppy is gaping at him and even Bad finds himself at a loss for words.

"How are you so badass?" Skeppy whispers, his voice strangled with awe.

"It's called being a god," Techno says, nodding sagely, and Skeppy stares at him with shining eyes.

Bad purses his lips but he has to ask, "Where did you learn to fight like that?"

"I did martial arts a long time ago. My sensei taught me how to use a sword, so I was pretty ready when the apocalypse hit. Just need to find a sword, then I'll actually be at my level."

A groan sounds behind them and Skeppy lets out a shriek as a zombie grabs for him. "Bad!"

Bad moves on instinct, grabbing his tomahawk and slamming it into the zombie's skull. The decaying thing lets go of Skeppy and slumps to the ground.

"I just got attacked!" Skeppy runs into Bad's arms and buries his face in Bad's chest. Bad rubs a comforting hand on his back and murmurs, "You're okay, Skeppy."

When Bad looks up, Techno is beside them and Bad's eyes widen. The taller guy had been on the other side of the classroom a moment ago, but now he towers over Bad and Skeppy.

"Seems I'm not the only who can handle a weapon," Techno says, and Bad feels himself blush despite himself. "You have an explanation for that?"

"I learned how to shoot and use a tomahawk when I was a kid," Bad mutters. "Just in case anything happened. And something did happen so I'm glad I did it."

He meets Techno's gaze defiantly but all he finds there is amused respect. "Hey, I'm not accusing you. It's good to know how to fight. Obviously," he adds, gesturing to the room around them.

Bad nods and glances at Skeppy. "Are you okay now, you little muffinhead?"

Skeppy nods and steps out of Bad's arms. He looks between Bad and Techno, his awe for both of them reflecting in his eyes. "Can you guys teach me your ways?"

Techno raises an eyebrow and even Bad feels a flicker of surprise. But they both nod. "We need to teach everyone," Techno says, his voice deep. "I've been with Quackity and Montero for a while and they have no idea what they're doing when it comes to weapons."

"Those muffinheads," Bad mutters, thinking of Quackity and his broomstick.

Techno's smirk widens. "I'm going to finish clearing this floor. You're free to do whatever else you want. You can keep watch if that's what makes you happy."

Bad blushes and Skeppy swings a wide-eyed stare at him. But Techno only turns and starts off down the hall, disappearing around a corner.

It's only when he's gone that Bad turns to survey his boyfriend. "Skeppy, seriously, are you okay? That attack was really sudden, you could have gotten hurt!"

"I'm fine," Skeppy says quietly but he still looks shaken.

"Skeppy," Bad says and he cups a hand over Skeppy's cheek.

He kisses Skeppy and it's soft and gentle. After a moment, Skeppy responds, wrapping his arms around Bad's neck. The kiss lasts only a few moments but, when Bad pulls away, Skeppy's eyes look lost and hazy and some of his panic is gone. "Better?"

Skeppy nods. "Yeah. We should go back upstairs. What happened to keeping watch?"

Bad snorts quietly. "Whatever makes you happy, Skeppy. Let's go back. The others are probably waiting for us."

"Yeah, somehow I doubt that."

Bad pictures Sapnap and Karl alone in the classroom and Dream and George gone whatever they went. "You're probably right," he sighs. "Let's go upstairs anyway. One zombie attack is enough for one night."

He and Skeppy make their way back up to the classroom, their hands linked, and Bad has never been happier that he learned how to use weapons all those years ago, to protect those he cares about. Just in case.

(1569 words)

Notes:

Lol this kind of feels like a one-shot but there will definitely be more skephalo chapters later because I love them both so much!! I also love their friendship with Techno so that's gonna come in more later too <3<3

Chapter 18: Way to Ruin the Mood

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: mild cursing, underage drinking

Karl drags out his sleeping bag and lays it next to Sapnap's and Sapnap wonders how the hell they got into this situation.

He'd tried to tell Karl that he liked personal space, but he'd just grinned impishly and moved the sleeping bags closer together. So Sapnap's stuck watching, his heart pounding against his chest, as he curses Dream and George for disappearing at the worst possible moment as always. He'd managed to convince them to all share a room, but he'd still ended up alone with Karl.

"Hey, nimrod."

Sapnap breaks free of his thoughts and finds Karl staring at him from where he's kneeling on one of the sleeping bags. For some reason that Sapnap can't even begin to understand, heat creeps into his cheeks and he has to fight to hold Karl's gaze.

"Watcha doin' over there?" Karl asks and Sapnap fumbles for a response.

"Nothing," he manages. "Are you done setting up those stupid sleeping bags?"

Karl grins. "No shit, Sherlock."

Sapnap frowns as his mind replays that sentence. "Wait..." Something seems off about it, but it takes a moment to click. "Did you just swear?"

Karl claps a hand over his mouth as he giggles. "What did you think I never swore?"

"I don't know. Maybe?"

"Of course I swear, dumbass. I'm a full grown adult." Sapnap gapes at him but Karl just grins and pats the sleeping nag next to him. "Care to join me instead of standing their like a nimrod?"

"Yeah, whatever," Sapnap grumbles, ignoring the butterflies swarming his stomach as he settles halfway into his sleeping bag. His hand is only a few inches away from Karl, and his heart won't stop galloping.

He curses Karl for having such a weird effect on him. With his baseball bat and a shotgun at his side, Sap should be ready for anything, but when Karl locks eyes with him, he suddenly feels ridiculously unprepared.

Karl gives him a lopsided grin and it distracts Sapnap enough that his next words don't make any sense. "How old are you?"

Sapnap's brows draw together. "What?"

Karl rummages through a bag next to him and pulls out a bottle of what is definitely alcohol. Sap doesn't even get the chance to wonder where in hell he found it before Karl uncorks it easily and holds it out to him.

Sap shifts away instinctively, remembering the one time his uncle had offered him a beer and he'd spent half an hour puking after trying too much of it. "I'm underage, idiot. Plus, I'm gonna be the one who has to save your drunk ass when we get attacked."

"You mean if we get attacked. To be clear." Karl takes a swig from the bottle and grins. "Besides, I trust you."

Warmth pushes through Sapnap's annoyance, but he ignores it. "Why? You don't even know me."

Karl raises a brow. But all he says is, "A sip won't hurt."

Karl's words come back to him, the ones he spoke when they were all shaken after the attack. I would kill for a bottle of alcohol right now.

Sapnap studies Karl, his relaxed posture, the bottle dangling from his hands. Only his eyes tell a different story. There's a deep fear behind them, one that even the alcohol can't seem to dull. The same fear that runs through Sapnap's blood whenever he pictures the zombies he's killed.

Before he can stop himself, Sapnap grabs the bottle from Karl's hands and drinks deeply.

The drink is sweet, not like the beer he'd tried with his uncle. When he blinks, everything is fuzzy around the edges and he suddenly can't remember what he was scared of.

"Jeez, dude," Karl giggles. "I said a sip, not half the bottle!"

He takes the bottle out of Sapnap's hands, fingers grazing his wrist, and corks it again. Sapnap can't help but shiver and Karl's lips quirk. Karl stows the bottle back in his bag. Then, his hand comes to rest right next to Sapnap's. Their fingers are practically touching.

"Either you are falling for me," Karl murmurs. "Or you're already really, really drunk."

"Shut up," Sapnap mutters, but he can't deny either statement. His words are slurred and Karl's eyes are shining like stars. He looks like a fallen angel, with tousled curls and tawny freckles and pink lips.

He really shouldn't be staring at his lips. Sapnap manages to yank his gaze away and finds Karl staring at him with a mixture of amusement and concern.

"Let's get you into the sleeping bag," Karl says. He smirks. "Before you do anything too stupid."

Sapnap wants to retort but he can't find the words. And when Karl places gentle hands on his shoulders and pushes him into the sleeping bag, Sapnap finds his mouth glued shut, his heart beating too quickly for words.

Karl adjusts the sleeping bag, fussing with it more than he needs to. His hand lingers on Sapnap's chest for a second longer than it needs to, too. Then, he's gone, and Sapnap is staring at the ceiling as Karl sits himself in his own sleeping bag.

"Maybe that wasn't our best idea," Karl says, conversationally.

Sapnap's mouth finally decides to work again. "It was your idea. I told you it was stupid."

"Wouldn't be the first time I did something stupid," Karl says airily. "Except this time I'm the sober one. You were supposed to be my bodyguard."

Sapnap snorts. "Then maybe you shouldn't have bullied me into drinking. Has anyone ever told you you're a bad influence?"

Karl giggles. "Yup. Comes from hanging around other people who were bad influences."

The world is still covered in a shimmery haze, but something about Karl's words sober Sapnap up enough to wonder about Karl's life before the apocalypse. About how little they actually know about each other.

"What other people?" he finds himself asking.

Karl is quiet for a while, a faraway look in his eyes. It doesn't matter what other people, Sapnap realizes. He just has to protect him from them in the future.

Karl meets his gaze and Sapnap's cheeks heat as he realizes he's been staring at him. The faraway look disappears and a new smile spreads over his face. "You're completely drunk. What did we do to you, Nick?"

"Why did you want to know my real name?" Sapnap asks. His mind seems to fixate on the way his name sounds coming from Karl's lips. "Eveyone else just calls me Sapnap. Even Dream and George."

"Why did you tell me your real name then?"

Sapnap frowns. He'd told Karl his real name when he'd asked because it had felt natural. Like he'd known Karl for longer than just a few minutes, like it was stupid for him not to know his name. Like it mattered what Karl called him, even when his best friends used a nickname for him.

"I just feel like it's more personal to call someone by their first name," Karl says, breaking through his thoughts. "And I couldn't keep a straight face calling you Sapnap."

Sapnap rolls his eyes, but his mind is racing with too many other thoughts to focus. The world is spinning again, and he sees the zombies he killed in the forest, rising and attacking Karl. Suddenly, he realizes he should never have given Karl his name, not when either of them could die at any minute. Not when falling for him in an apocalypse is just dumb.

A cool hand cups his jaw and Sapnap flinches. Karl's worried eyes appear above him. "Nick? You good?"

Sapnap opens his mouth to tell Karl to get off him, to get away before Sapnap loses the last of his common sense and gets them both killed. But he finds himself lost in the blue-green of Karl's eyes, their surface like a calm sea.

Karl swallows thickly. "Nick," he murmurs again, but his voice is different. His fingers move to trace jaw, his light touch leaving streaks of fire behind. And Sapnap can't think anymore, can't bring himself to warn Karl. All he sees are Karl's eyes, warm and sparkling, as he sits up. He barely gives either of them time to think before he pulls Karl into a kiss.

Karl melts into him immediately. His lips are soft and taste like alcohol, sweet and addicting. And then Karl's hands slide into his hair and Sapnap circles his arms around Karl's waist and their kiss deepens.

They pull apart only for air, Karl gasping in a way that sends heat branding through Sapnap. Karl keeps their gazes locked as he slowly lowers himself onto his sleeping bag, pulling Sapnap with him. For once, Sapnap doesn't resist.

Karl runs his hands over Sapnap's chest as Sap's lips move to his cheeks, his jaw, his neck. Every sound from Karl sparks heat in his stomach and... lower. He knows the alcohol is muddling his thoughts, but he doesn't really want to stop. Not when Karl starts to unbutton his shirt with slim fingers or when his pale skin turns pink with Sapnap's kisses.

Not until a shriek sounds outside and Sapnap and Karl jump apart.

"Shit," Karl breathes. "Who was that?"

"We're okay!" Bad's voice comes from in the corridor. Sapnap lets out a breath and Karl closes his eyes in relief. He makes a mental note to ask Bad about it later. But for now, he's still on top of Karl. His cheeks flush as he scrambles off, still shaky from the alcohol.

Karl sighs and sits up. "Way to ruin the mood," he says in Bad's direction. But he winks at Sapnap, who snorts despite himself.

Karl falls into his sleeping bag, his eyes already fluttering shut. "And on that note, I'm going to bed. Try not to fall over or anything, Nick."

Sapnap doesn't even get the chance to protest. Karl's breathing evens out within moments, leaving Sap to stare at him in disbelief, his heart pounding in his ears, his lips tasting like Karl. And when Karl shifts onto his side, his hand falling onto Sapnap's hip, he realizes that he needs to clear his head. Alcohol or not, he can't afford to put his friends in danger because of his emotions.

Sapnap untangles himself from the sleeping bag and starts toward the door. He forces himself not to look back as he marches out into the hallway to stand guard.

(1741 words)

Notes:

Ok so spoiler, the next chapter will be dnf! Also, thank you so much for everyone who's been reading this story so far, I appreciate you!! <3<3

Chapter 19: I Win

Notes:

I offer dnf as promised <3

Chapter Text

Tw: zombies, blood, weapons, mild anxiety

Dream's stomach twists as he stares at the zombie's body on the floor.

His knife is sticking out of its skull, and there's blood staining his hoodie. The rush of adrenaline he'd felt as he killed it drains out of him. Bile climbs up his throat and he forces himself to tear his gaze away from the corpse. To start down the hallway, pulling another knife out of his belt.

Techno had said he'd cleared the second floor, but the first floor is still crawling with zombies. It doesn't help Dream's suspicions or the worry that surfaces when he remembers that Techno wants to talk to George in the morning.

The soft slide of metal shakes Dream from his thoughts. He whips around, his knife in hand, his heartbeat wild and stuttering. He expects to see a zombie or Techno or maybe Sapnap trying to sneak up on him. But his heart drops when he locks eyes with George.

Suddenly, his nausea at the dead zombie shifts to worry for George. But before he can say anything, George lifts a small hand.

"You forgot your knife in a zombie."

Dream raises both brows as George wiggles the knife in his hand, his voice deadpan and his expression blank. Despite his worry, despite everything, Dream swallows a hysterical laugh before it can escape.

He moves forward on shaky legs and grabs the knife. A small irrational part of him is still worried that George might hurt himself. The rest of him zeroes in on the brush of his fingers against George's as he pulls his hand away.

"Thanks," he mutters, stepping away. He takes a breath and tries to reorient himself. "What the hell are you doing here, George?"

George just rolls his eyes and sidesteps a dead zombie, stopping in front of Dream. His eyes are the rich brown of chocolate, wide and sparkling, and Dream has the sudden urge to lean down and kiss him. His cheeks burn.

"I could ask you the same thing, idiot. You left me alone in the class with Karl and Sapnap."

Dream huffs out a frustrated laugh. "I didn't mean to, I just... grew restless."

He can't explain the way he'd felt, the pent up adrenaline running through him, the thoughts jumbling his mind. Even stepping out into a zombie-infested corridor seemed like a better alternative to pacing the length of the classroom for hours.

"Yeah, you grew restless and left me with Karl and Sapnap." Dream rolls his eyes as George motions to the hallway with his crossbow. It's already nocked and loaded. "I'm coming with you."

"To where?" Dream says, even though his heart is already pounding at the thought of George facing more zombies.

George shrugs again. "Wherever you're going. To kill zombies or something."

Dream's heart speeds up. "It's not safe. I'm not saying you can't defend yourself, but you don't have to put yourself in danger for nothing. Besides, Techno's in charge of clearing zombies, not us."

"Since when?" George asks, not sounding half as worried as Dream wishes he would.

Dream shoots him a look and George gives him an innocent smile in return. Then, he turns, and starts walking down the hall, crossbow in hand. The weapon is so big, Dream wonders how he can even hold it, but George carries it easily like it's meant for him.

"Wait up, idiot," Dream gives in, hurrying to catch up with him. He chooses to ignore George's smirk when he follows, even as he fights down a smile of his own. "Don't get too used to winning," he adds, and it's his turn to smirk as a slight flush creeps over George's cheeks. He knows they're both remembering their conversation in the forest; the implication of their words.

They round a corner and find three zombies lurching down the hall. Their groans fill the air, along with the stench of the dead. They turn towards Dream and George, mouths stained red.

George takes down two of them with a single arrow, curving it so it goes through one's head and stabs the one behind it. Dream falters for a second, gaping at George, who shoots him a sly look.

"Maybe I should stay used to winning," he says and reaches for another arrow. But Dream snaps out of his daze and darts forward, knife in hand. He's stabbed the zombie in the neck before George can nock is arrow.

"What was that about winning?"

George pouts, but there's a competitive gleam in his eyes. And for a moment, Dream's dizzy. Not from the dead zombie or the blood on his hands. But from George's pink lips and red-stained cheeks and dark gaze. He realizes he's almost completely forgotten about the zombies lying on the floor at their feet. All that's left is the challenge brimming in George's eyes.

"Bring it on, idiot," George says and a grin spreads over Dream's face.

They take out another dozen zombies together, fighting over kills, trying to win over the other. And with each wave of victory, with every smirk from George, Dream's thoughts slow down, until he's not scrambling to make sense of everything, until the world looks normal again. Until his stress ebbs away and his heart is pounding only with exhilaration.

When the last of the zombies fall, Dream wipes his blade clean on his cargo pants. "I win," he says, breathing heavily, and he casts a look at George.

George is out of breath, his eyes shining. "Only cause you stole my last kill."

Dream chokes out a laugh. "That's literally the point, idiot. I won, fair and square."

"Whatever. I would have if..."

"If what, nimrod?" Dream scoffs. Then, an idea comes to mind, reckless and riddled with adrenaline and exhaustion. "Shouldn't you get a forfeit? You know, for losing? Like an idiot?"

George's gaze shutters. "Like what?"

Dream's cheeks heat as a few other ideas enter his thoughts. "Like... a kiss."

George scoffs, but his own cheeks are pink. "That's not really a forfeit."

George's eyes widen in understanding at the same time that Dream bursts out laughing. George stammers something but Dream wheezes over it. As he finally wipes the tears from his eyes, he grins at George. "Do it then. If it's not a forfeit."

"Fine," George says, cheeks stained bright red. He places his crossbow on the ground and looks back up at Dream, his eyes darker than they were a moment ago. Then, without giving either of them the chance to think, he stands on his tiptoes and brings his mouth to Dream's.

The kiss lasts all of a few seconds, sweet and gentle. George places his hands flat on Dream's chest and Dream's thoughts scatter as he reaches to deepen the kiss. But George pushes away a moment later and Dream finds him smirking up at him.

"You said one kiss," George says as Dream tries to regain control of his breathing. George looks annoyingly collected and it makes Dream feel even more unraveled.

"I did," Dream says, taking a step closer until he's towering over George. "That was your forfeit. But what about my prize for winning?" George suddenly looks nervous as Dream's smirk turns predatorial. "What if I want my prize to be a kiss, too?"

He's managed to back George up against a wall, caging with him with his arms. George looks up at him innocently, but there's a gleam in his eyes that betrays him, matching the pink in his cheeks.

"Then kiss me," George breathes. "See what happens."

This time, there's nothing gentle about the kiss.

Their lips crash together, knocking George back into the wall, pressing their bodies together. George's lips are soft and sweet, his breaths trembling as he tilts his head, letting Dream deepen the kiss. Dream's arms wrap around George's waist, pulling him closer, and George's hands fly to his hair, kneading the blond strands between his fingers, making Dream slowly, surely lose control.

Dream grabs George's legs, wrapping them around his waist and lifting him against the wall, making them both gasp at the new contact. Dream pulls away only to drop his mouth to George's neck, trailing kisses down to his collarbones. George gasps, sending heat rippling through Dream as he bites a sensitive spot on his neck, hard enough to leave a mark. George's hands claw at his back, and Dream has to swallow back a groan at the pressure.

Everything's perfect until footsteps break through Dream's daze, until reality comes crashing back. Until Dream nearly drops George trying to scramble away, and both of them burst into hushed, panicked laughter.

Dream's face feels hot as he tries to tug his hair into place, messy from George's fingers combing through it. George looks less disheveled, but his lips are bright red and swollen, the colour high in his cheeks. Just looking at him knocks the breath from Dream's lungs and makes him forget they even heard footsteps. And when he meets George's gaze, he finds George's dark eyes already on him, warm and intense.

"Let's hide," George whispers. He takes Dream's hand and leads him to the nearest classroom, picking up his crossbow on the way. They slip into room just as the footsteps get louder, and George shuts the door quietly behind them. The footsteps continue marching by, accompanied by the click of a shotgun, and Dream and George share a look.

"It's probably Sapnap," George whispers and Dream wonders how he can tell and why he trusts him.

The footsteps fade and Dream's heartbeat slows as they disappear. Until his brain repeats the kiss with George and he realizes they're still holding hands. His face feels hot all over again as he feels George looking at him.

"Why are you so flustered, Dream?" George asks, smirking. "You got your prize."

"Shut up," Dream mumbles, cheeks flaming. His bravado is gone, but the heat from their kiss still ripples through him. He yanks open the classroom door and pulls George out with him. "We should go back, in case the others need us."

"Alright," George agrees, still smiling. He lets Dream lead him down the hall and toward the stairwell without complaint, fingers tight in his.

It's only as they reach the second floor that Dream realizes his mistake. He'd thought he wouldn't be able to sleep with the adrenaline and fear flowing through him a couple hours ago. It was was he'd left, why he'd attacked those zombies. But now, as he drags George towards the classroom, lips burning, he knows he still won't be able to sleep. Not with memories of their kiss seared into his mind. Not with the heat branding through him. Not with all the unfinished business between him and George, and everything that he intends to settle.

(1817 words)

Chapter 20: Rise and Shine, Motherfuckers!

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: swearing, weapons

When Dream and George reach the classroom, Karl is alone, lying on his back in his sleeping bag.

He shoots them a quick smile, but it doesn't seem to reach his eyes. "Where have you guys been?"

Dream's cheeks, which had just cooled down, start to burn again. "Just... out."

George rolls his eyes and gives his hand a painful squeeze. "What he's trying to say, is we were out fighting zombies."

Karl grins again, in earnest this time. "Guess I'll take your word for it."

"Where's Sapnap?" George asks and Karl's smile falters.

"Out fighting zombies too, probably." Karl shrugs. "I fell asleep for a bit and when I woke up, he was gone. I asked Bad and Skeppy and they said he'd walked past them a while ago."

Dream and George share a look and this time, Dream's cheeks don't burn, not when he's got questions about his friend. Him and Sapnap are like brothers. He knows when Sapnap is upset or in love. Or when he's trying to avoid both of those things.

George shakes his head slightly at Dream, warning him against his plans before he even voices them. Then, Dream remembers the footsteps they had heard on the first floor. George had said it was Sapnap and Dream had wondered if he was trolling. But maybe it had been Sapnap, out for the same reasons he'd been.

"He'll be fine," George tells Karl. "He's just being an idiot. As always."

Karl snorts. "True," he agrees, drawing out the word. He closes his eyes, and Dream wonders if he imagines the flicker of pain that crosses his features.

George tugs Dream away and toward two sleeping bags that Karl must have set up. They're ridiculously close together, practically lying on top of each other. He flushes again, thinking of everything that happened in the hall, replaying their kisses in his mind.

George smacks him in the arm, hard enough to draw him out of his fantasies. "Ow," he complains. "What the hell was that for?"

"Stop standing there and do something."

"Like what, sleep?"

George plops down on one of the sleeping bags. He sets his crossbow on the floor beside him and snuggles into the sleeping bag, pulling it to his chin. For a moment, Dream wonders how someone can look so adorable. Then, George says, "Like be quiet so I can sleep."

Dream's smile disappears and he rolls his eyes. "You're such an idiot."

George smirks and closes his eyes. "But I'm your idiot."

Dream chokes, Karl snorts out a laugh, and George giggles. "That's cringe, idiot," Dream says automatically, then realizes the irony in his words. Especially when George's smirk widens.

It's only when George's breathing evens out, his expression smoothing into the calm of sleep, that Dream realizes how tired he is. How tired they both are. He hasn't slept in days, what with the attack on their camp and moving into the school.

The thought is almost enough to slow his racing heart as he slides into his own sleeping bag, his knee brushing George's arm. His cheeks are flushed as he lies down, overly aware of the warmth of George's body and the three inches of space between them. He glances at Karl, hoping he won't notice Dream's embarrassment. To his relief, Karl seems to have fallen asleep as quickly as George, which leaves Dream alone with his thoughts.

Giving him time to panic.

After his earlier zombie fight, his mind had been calm enough to sort through his thoughts. Now, as he closes his eyes, his mind plays and replayes his kiss with George. The softness of his lips. The way he'd breathed Dream's name. His flushed skin against Dream's mouth.

Dream opens his eyes before any other images can assault him. Before he can start to fantasize about what might have happened if Sapnap hadn't picked that moment to walk by. The heat curving through him is definitely something he has to stop, especially with George lying so close to his side.

George shifts in his sleeping bag, wiggling closer to him. Dream freezes as their arms brush, his breathing coming in staccato beats. Instinctively, he moves his arm until it's wrapped around George's shoulders. Until George's cheek is resting on his chest, warm and comforting.

His worries vanish. George's warmth is a comforting presence, lulling him to sleep. When Dream finally slips into sleep, there's a small smile tugging at the corners of his lips.

George's POV

George feels himself waking, even as dreams still blur together in his mind.

He feels warm and rested and he doesn't realize why until he shifts a little. His hand slips from Dream's chest and his head falls against Dream's shoulder. Dream doesn't stir, his eyes closed and his face peaceful. There's a small smile on his lips that seeps warmth into George's heart.

He doesn't want to get up until he notices a figure standing by the door.

Instinct surfaces and George is halfway to grabbing his crossbow when he recognizes Sapnap.

Sapnap raises a brow at him like George is the one acting weird. George rolls his eyes as he wriggles out of his sleeping bag, doing his best to stay quiet and not wake up Dream.

When he's managed to untangle himself, Sapnap gestures to the door. George follows him out of the classroom, pausing only to cast a look back at Dream. Dream, whose long limbs are splayed across the both of their sleeping bags, his blond hair messy. George feels his cheeks flush and he stumbles out of the classroom before he can feel anything else.

Sapnap is waiting for him in the hall, alone. George remembers seeing Bad and Skeppy sleeping next to each other in a corner of the classroom. They must have spent at least half the night keeping watch. And Sapnap must have taken over after them, by the looks of it.

"You look terrible," George states, and Sapnap just shrugs. But he can't hide the purplish bruises under his eyes or the way he keeps yawning every few seconds.

"Why did you leave Karl?" George asks, but it comes out sounding more worried than he means.

"I just felt bad for Skeppy and Bad cause they were keeping watch," Sapnap says, shrugging again. His hands fiddle with the rifle strap across his chest.

George shoots him a look. Sapnap stares innocently back.

"Karl was upset, you know. He told us you'd left without telling him. I'm not sure even Skeppy or Bad knew."

Something flickers in Sapnap's eyes but he blinks it away. "Karl was asleep when I left. Plus, you guys left without telling any of us, too."

A pang of guilt stabs through George. He hadn't been thinking of his other friends when he had followed Dream the night before. He'd only been thinking of the faraway look in Dream's eyes, the way he wouldn't stop pacing or bouncing his leg or flipping his knives. He knew Dream well enough to notice when he was stressed or on edge, and in that moment it hadn't mattered what his other friends thought.

The memory of their kiss sends a shiver through him. He tugs at his hoodie self-consciously, remembering the way Dream had bit him, wondering with a weird kind of thrill if he'd left a mark.

He realizes Sapnap is staring at him, waiting for an answer. George opens his mouth, but he doesn't have an excuse.

Sapnap gives him a pointed look. "I'm not even gonna ask what you two were doing. So don't ask what I was doing."

George flushes. "Fine. You don't have to answer me, but what about when Karl asks?"

Sapnap's hand tightens around his rifle strap. "I'll deal with him later. Right now, there's something else we need to talk about."

For one strange, exhilarating moment, George thinks Sapnap will bring up his and Dream's disappearance again. But then, Sapnap says, "You and Dream are meeting with Montero and the others today."

He realizes he's completely forgotten about their meeting. "So?" he says, like his heart hasn't gotten jittery at the idea of meeting with Techno. He'd never tell Dream though, obviously, not when he's already so worried about their meeting or when he already doesn't trust Techno and the others.

"So we should talk about it. About what they're gonna talk about," Sapnap finishes like it's obvious.

"But we don't know what they're gonna talk about."

"Yeah, all the more reason to strategize."

George rolls his eyes. "I thought you were a Lil Nas X simp like Dream and everyone else. Don't you trust him?"

Sapnap shoots him a glare, but just then, the door to the classroom opens. George's heart plummets for a moment, wondering if it's Dream or Karl, but it's neither.

Bad stares at them, sleepily. "What are you two muffinheads doing out here at this hour?"

Sapnap raises his brows. "It's literally noon."

"Bad's right," George says. "It's way too early to be discussing strategies. Especially when everyone else is asleep."

Bad points an accusing finger at Sapnap. "And you didn't get any sleep last night, you muffinhead. You're gonna be exhausted today and then you won't be able to help us fight zombies. Go get some rest."

Sapnap looks like he wants to argue but, just then, Karl appears behind Bad and Sapnap falls silent. Karl avoids Sapnap's gaze as he steps out into the hall. "Don't mind me, just going to use the restroom."

"It's too dangerous," Sapnap says gruffly, instinctively.

"I'll go with him," George says, just as automatically. "Go to sleep, Sapnap. Don't be an idiot."

He can only hope Sapnap understands the meaning of his last words and doesn't want to kill him.

Karl meets George's gaze and there's something like relief or gratitude shining there. He starts walking in the direction of the bathrooms and George follows, a step behind. George glances back at Sapnap once, and he reads the conflict on his friend's face. Sapnap seems to read something on his face, too though, because he gives a stiff nod and follows Bad into the classroom.

They start toward the bathrooms. Karl is unusually quiet, his fingers drumming against his leg as he walks. They round a corner. George doesn't even get a chance chance say anything to Karl, to ask how he's feeling, before a door slams open at the other end of the hall. George has a hand on his crossbow immediately, pushing Karl behind him. They're almost to the bathrooms and George wonders if they could hide there if they get attacked.

Until he hears a loud, mocking, annoyingly familiar voice. "Rise and shine, motherfuckers!"

George rolls his eyes, Karl breaks into a wide grin, and Quackity points his broomstick at both of them. "Who's ready to fuck up some zombies today?"

(1819 words)

Notes:

Ok so another transition kind of chapter (sorry) but the next chapters are going to be good!! Hope u guys like it <3<3

Chapter 21: Go Get Your Boyfriend

Notes:

The one where everyone thinks Dream and George are dating...

Also, an early update! Enjoy <3

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: swearing, weapons

"Alex!"

Karl's distant gaze is gone, replaced by a warm, genuine smile. George raises his brows, and his mouth practically drops open when Quackity grins in return and shouts, "Karl!"

Karl bursts into hysterical giggles and hugs Quackity like they're old friends. Quackity's buzzing with energy, literally hopping around in excitement, and it seems to lift Karl's mood. George doesn't know if he should feel relieved, grateful, or just confused.

"Since when are you guys so close?" he asks and Quackity's smile drops as he pivots to face him.

"None of your business, asshole."

Karl giggles madly. "Oh my God, you got him."

George decides that maybe he should feel betrayed. "I literally saved you. If it wasn't for me, you'd be stuck dealing with Sapnap and the others."

Karl's eyes flicker and George almost feels bad for bringing it up, even as a joke. But then, Quackity jumps in. "You need me to beat someone up?"

This time, even George has to giggle, because Quackity is still holding his broomstick like it would actually do something against a zombie. Or a person. Quackity turns his glare to him. "What, you think you're cool cause you have a fucking crossbow? I could beat your ass."

"I'd like to see you try," George says, raising a brow.

Quackity glowers. "If Techno and Montero didn't want to meet you today, I would. They're waiting for you and your boyfriend."

George's cheeks burn. "He's not..."

But he can't finish the sentence. He doesn't know what him and Dream are.

Karl puts a hand on his arm. His nails are somehow freshly painted, bright pink and blue. "Listen, I trust Alex. He can stay with me if you need to get Dream and them."

George must look as skeptical as he feels because Quackity glares at him again. "Are you sure? Even if you trust him, it doesn't mean he can actually protect you."

"I'm right here, you know," Quackity mutters.

"I believe in him," Karl says with a small smile. "Come on, Dave and Montero are waiting for you."

George, who'd been glaring back at Quackity, whirls around to face Karl. "Who?"

Quackity looks equally confused. "That's his name?"

Karl grins. George stares at him. "Is there anyone who's name you don't know?"

"Only Bad. He flat out won't tell me. It's his most closely guarded secret," Karl answers ominously and George huffs out a laugh. Karl hits him lightly on the arm. "Now go get your boyfriend."

George sighs. "Fine."

It's only once he's back in the hall that leads to their classroom that he realizes he agreed to Dream being called his boyfriend. He's not sure how he feels about that.

"George!" a voice says, startling George out of his thoughts. "Did I scare you?" Dream asks. It's a stupid question, George decides, considering his heart literally stopped. He looks up to tell Dream that, but something stops him. Dream looks sleepy, his hair wavy and messy, his eyes a bright green and trained on George, even as he stretches his long arms over his head. His voice sounds deeper than usual. The word boyfriend suddenly pops into George's mind, and his cheeks feel bright red. He looks away from Dream.

"What is it?" Dream says. He sounds suspicious. "You look flustered, George."

"Nothing," George says too quickly. "Techno and Montero are waiting for us."

The thought distracts him enough to forget about Quackity and Karl's teasing for a second. For some inexplicable reason, knowing Techno's real name makes him seem less ominous, and like less of a threat.

But Dream doesn't look that upset at meeting with them. Maybe because he's still half-asleep. "So let's go meet them."

George stares at him. "That's it? You're not gonna bring every weapon we have in case they're dangerous?"

Dream rolls his eyes. "Of course not, idiot. It's just a meeting." He grabs George's hand, sending a bolt of adrenaline through him, and starts to drag him toward the nearest stairwell. "Come on, we're already late."

George can't find it in him to be annoyed, especially not with Dream's warm hand enveloping his, so he follows him down the hall without complaint. When they pass the hall with the bathrooms, he checks for Karl and Quackity but they're gone. He can only hope that Quackity is not as much of an idiot as he seems, otherwise Sapnap might kill him for losing Karl.

Deep in his thoughts, George doesn't notice when they reach the stairwell. He just follows Dream absent-mindedly, letting him lead him by the hand. Until he misses a step and starts to fall, heart dropping and arms flailing to keep balance...

Dream's scent fills his head as strong arms wrap around him. George freezes mid-fall, caught in Dream's embrace, his head flush against Dream's chest, head empty of all thoughts except for the erratic beating of both of their hearts.

Dream blows out a breath and his chest moves with it. "Oh my God, George, be careful." His hold tightens. "You're such an idiot."

George scoffs, but his heart is hammering, both from the fall and from being in Dream's arms. "You can let go of me now."

For a moment, they're both still. Maybe Dream won't let go, George thinks, then wonders if that might be for the better.

But then, Dream's hold loosens and he sighs as he lets go. "I wouldn't have to catch you if you weren't so clumsy."

George blushes, even as he feels cold in all the places Dream had pressed against him. "No one said you had to catch me, idiot."

Dream shoots him a look. "Whatever, nimrod. You're the one making us later to this stupid meeting."

George rolls his eyes but follows Dream to the first floor. They wander the halls for a bit, finding Montero in the school cafeteria. He looks unarmed at first glance, but George notices for the first time a knife strapped to his thigh, covered in shimmery white fabric that matches the rest of his outfit. It's camouflaged well enough that it's difficult to notice and George wonders how long he's had the knife and if he knows how to use it.

Montero gives them a brilliant smile. "Good morning, guys."

Dream goes pink as he mumbles a reply and George rolls his eyes. "Where's Techno?" George asks, because apparently Dream's too busy simping to notice his absence.

Montero nods toward the cafeteria doors. "He left a minute ago. There were some zombies he had to take care of."

That seems to sober Dream up. "Techno said you guys cleared the school," he says accusingly. "What if one of us had run into zombies and hadn't reacted quickly enough?"

Montero winces. "Your floor's definitely been cleared, but the first floor is more... difficult to maintain. Sometimes they break through our barricades. It took us a while to even barricade every door, so a few got in before we even had control of the situation."

"You should have told us," Dream says flatly. A shiver passes through George at the unforgiving look in his green eyes.

Montero, to his credit, looks apologetic. "We didn't mean to put you in danger or anything."

Dream's anger seems to deflate a little, his eyes softening. "Just a misunderstanding then." He shakes his head like he's clearing his thoughts. "Anyway, Bad told us you wanted to talk."

Montero nods. He's wearing silver earrings in the shape of scythes and they shimmer. "There's a few things you guys need to know, and a few things we should work together for."

"Like what?" George asks. He's not sure where this is headed.

"First of all, as you've noticed, we need to up the protection around the school. Techno's been working on it, but he could definitely use some help and me and Quackity aren't his first choice. We're also gonna need to go on a supply run a few weeks from now. We should be good for now, but we've been planning ahead. And..." Montero turns to George. "Techno wanted to talk to you about something."

George's heart flutters and he can practically feel Dream's anxiety spike. "I guess we'll wait until he gets here then."

Dream turns back to Montero. "You guys seem really organized, all things considered."

Montero seems to blush, lowering his long lashes, and George feels his stomach clench. "It's mostly Techno. He does all the fighting and protecting. But I've been helping him come up with plans. Quackity..." Montero laughs. "He's super funny but not the best at going through with plans."

At least George can agree with half of that sentence.

"So do you have a plan for protecting the school? We saw your barriers and they seem to work well enough."

Montero nods. "The barriers are definitely helpful but we still have to strengthen them. And we've been looking for a way to block the windows too."

"We should cover them," George states. "That way, the zombies won't be able to see us so they won't try to break in."

Montero's dark eyes shine with approval and George reminds himself he still doesn't like him. "That's a really good idea, George. We didn't think of that." He smiles. "I can see why Techno admires you."

Dream chokes on air. "He what?"

George smirks and hits Dream's arm a little harder than necessary. "Yeah, he sees my genius, idiot."

Montero looks between them, his smile a bit strained. "Are you two dating?"

George's eyes widen, and Dream blushes bright red. He tries to stammer something, but neither of them deny it.

Montero laughs. "I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little disappointed - " George chokes - "but I'm happy for both of you."

Dream's eyes widen. "You're disappointed?"

This time, George doesn't hold back when he hits him and Dream winces.

"What did I just walk into?" Techno's voice says from the doorway, and George turns to him. Dream's wince disappears, replaced with an assessing look.

"You wanted to talk to me?" George asks.

Techno smirks. "You, Bad and Sapnap actually. They're waiting for us in the next classroom." Techno turns and George notices two long knives strapped at his hip. "Follow me."

Dream grabs George's hand. "I'm going with you."

George resists the urge to roll his eyes. Instead, he gives Dream's hand a small squeeze. "I'll be fine. We can trust him and you can trust me. Plus, Bad and Sapnap are gonna be there too."

"Just..." Dream searches for the right words. "Don't be dumb."

"Wow, what a beautiful inspirational speech," George says. "You're forgetting I'm a professional sharpshooter."

Dream scoffs, but lets go of George's hand. His eyes stay trained on him as George turns around and follows Techno out of the cafeteria.

(1800 words)

Notes:

Thank you so much for everyone who's been reading this story and for all of the super nice comments! I appreciate y'all <3

Also, I'm gonna try to update this story twice a week - probably Sunday and Thursday - instead of once, if I have time :)

Chapter 22: Stupid Mistakes

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: swearing, weapons, blood, zombies, mild anxiety

"Who fucking hurt you?" Quackity demands the second George is out of earshot. "I'll beat their ass."

Karl's smile wavers, even as he tries to keep it in place. "No one, dude. I'm fine."

Quackity gives him a look that says it won't be as easy to trick him as it was to trick George. Karl pushes a hand through his hair, then rubs his jaw, remembering how, only the night before, Nick's lips had traced the skin there.

Quackity's eyes widen. "No. Don't tell me it's that guy."

Karl feels jittery, like he always does when something's set him on edge. He drums his fingers against his leg, craving a soda despite the weirdness of his situation. "You're gonna have to be more specific, Q."

"That asshole in the ripped jeans and the bomber jacket! The guy who thinks he's cool cause he has a shotgun."

Karl snorts a laugh, despite himself. "Why is that so accurate?"

"What happened?" Q asks, and Karl's heart jolts at the question.

He's not entirely sure what happened, and that's what scares him the most. Maybe Sapnap had only been drunk, but he'd kissed him like he meant it, and then left just as suddenly. Karl knows enough about people to know that Sapnap is doing his best to avoid him. He just has no idea why.

So Karl just shrugs and hopes that Q won't press him. A second of silence passes and Quackity gives a long-suffering sigh. "Fine, don't tell me, dick. It'll just make me hate him more if I'm imagining the worst about him anyway."

Karl's finger drumming intensifies along with the rapid beating of his heart. Some instinct makes him want to contradict Quackity and defend Sapnap, but that's stupid. Maybe Sapnap deserves a bit of Q's anger.

Then, an evil smile spreads over Quackity's face. "How about I help you get your revenge?" Quackity says, putting on an accent halfway between his regular voice and a posh British person. An accent that always makes Karl laugh.

Now, giddy excitement fills him even though he knows it's not completely fair to Sapnap. Although, if he's being fair, Sapnap hasn't really been fair to him either. "I'm not even gonna lie, I'm so down," he says between giggles. "What should we do?"

Quackity rubs his hands together. "Oh, Karlos, I have so many ideas."

And he explains them. Each one worse than the next, yet Karl can't help but feel a shiver of satisfaction pass through him. After all, he's agreed to much worse before and he's never been all that good at controlling himself.

"Let's do it," he says, a grin spreading over his face.

Quackity's grin matches his. "Okay, okay, we have to make it convincing though. He might be a dumbass but he's not that much of a dumbass."

"Wow, Q, was that a compliment?" Karl asks and Quackity pulls a face at him.

Karl follows Quackity through the hall and down the stairwell. They peek their heads into the first floor, Quackity's broomstick pointed into the hall in case any zombies show up.

"Coast is clear," Karl says in his best Chad voice.

He and Quackity position themselves at the end of a hallway and lean against the wall, waiting for Sapnap.

Quackity had explained everything before. "So Techno wants to meet with George, Sapnap, and Bad today. Sapnap will be on his way there when we 'get attacked,'" Quackity says, making air quotes with his fingers. "That's when you scream for help and I show up to take out the zombies. Then, you're all like 'you're my hero' and Sapnap will get jealous."

Karl had decided not to point out how bad that plan was and instead agreed to it. Even if Sapnap didn't believe them, he'd still be upset with Karl for putting himself in unnecessary danger. And a part of Karl - the same one that turned to alcohol to numb his mind and that had made friends with the wrong people just for the rush of adrenaline it gave him - really wants to see Sapnap get mad.

Everything about the plan is stupid and Karl wants to throw his arms around Quackity for suggesting it.

A growl sounds at the other end of the hallway, chilling Karl's blood. Quackity grips his broomstick tighter. "Wait for it."

The door to the stairwell opens again and Sapnap steps out, his shotgun slung over his shoulder, combat boots loud on the tiles. At the same time, a zombie bursts out from one of the classrooms, dangerously close to Karl. It makes a swipe for his arm and Karl just manages to duck away before it can scratch him.

His shriek is very real. And when Sapnap turns and makes eye contact with him, the worry there seems just as real.

"Karl!" he shouts, rushing toward them, unstrapping his shotgun.

"Karl, I got you!" Quackity calls at the same time. He reaches the zombie first and whacks it in the side of the head with his broomstick. The wood pierces its brain, blood spurts, and Karl's heart drops. For a moment, he wonders if the zombie will stay standing and keep attacking them. But the horrible thing falls, eyes glassy, on the tiled floor.

Sapnap is slack-jawed. Quackity rushes to Karl's side, eyes worried. Karl would almost believe him if it wasn't for the mischievous gleam hidden behind his concern.

"Karl, are you alright?"

He puts an arm around Karl's shoulders and Karl realises he's shaking. It's not an act either. "I'm okay," he manages. He meets Quackity's gaze. "Thanks, dude. I could have died."

As soon as he says those words, Karl sneaks a look at Sapnap. Sapnap, whose eyes are stormy, his knuckles white on his shotgun.

A shiver runs through Karl that has nothing to do with the zombie.

Quackity squeezes Karl's shoulder reassuringly, but Karl's eyes are only on Sapnap. Nick looks torn, half of him angry enough to stomp off and the other half of him worried enough to start yelling. Either way, his revenge worked.

Karl turns to Quackity and, on complete impulse, kisses him on the cheek.

Sapnap lets out a shocked breath. Quackity eyes go wide and questioning, a blush darkening his cheeks. Karl's heart feels ready to drum out of his chest.

"Karl?" Quackity asks, then Sapnap moves, grabbing him by the arm.

"Get the fuck off of him," Sapnap growls and Quackity stumbles away, clutching his broomstick. But Q meets Karl's gaze and nods at him. Karl's filled with gratitude for a second, before Sapnap's face blocks him from view.

Karl tries to act casual, but his whole body feels jittery, adrenaline rushing through his blood. "Hey, Sapnap."

He doesn't miss the flicker that crosses Sapnap's features, the pain Karl caused by not using his real name. Guilt stabs shards through him as some of the adrenaline ebbs away.

Karl's made stupid mistakes before and they were always the same: a crazy rush of adrenaline followed by the realization that he shouldn't of done what he did. Sapnap might have started it, and Quackity might have helped him, but Karl's the one who agreed to it.

The pain vanishes from Sapnap's eyes. "What the fuck were you doing doing here? You could have died, nimrod."

The realization thuds into Karl's chest, almost knocking him back physically. He could have died, and all to get some stupid revenge. "I'm sorry," he whispers, even though Sapnap should apologize too.

Sapnap's hands moving to settle on Karl's shoulders, his voice rough. "Just be more careful, Karl. I still haven't taught you how to fight."

"Didn't think you were going to," Karl shoots back, despite himself. "You left."

Those are the words he's been avoiding, the words that Sapnap doesn't realize mean so much. Karl surrounds himself with people for a reason: to avoid the emptiness of being left alone.

He should tell Sapnap that, but he can't form the words.

Sapnap's green eyes are shadowed. "That's why you did this, dumbass?"

Karl shrugs a shoulder. "Can you blame me?"

Sapnap mutters a "yes" under his breath, but his eyes soften a fraction. "I didn't mean to hurt you by leaving, nimrod. I'm... sorry." He swallows. "I was being selfish. I didn't want to stay, cause then I would be admitting I've fallen for you. And then I'd be too distracted to protect you and the others. That's why I left."

Karl's brows shoot up, guilt stabbing at him again. "Are you serious? You should have just told me."

Sapnap casts a glare back at Quackity. "And you should have told me before you plotted your stupid revenge that could have gotten both of you killed."

A small smile tugs at Karl's lips. "Wouldn't be the dumbest thing I've done."

"That's... concerning," Sapnap says and Karl's grin widens.

"So we agree to tell each other everything," Karl says, sticking out his pinky finger. "Promise."

Sapnap stares at him. "I didn't say I forgive you. Or him," he adds, glaring at Quackity.

"Remember how I said you'd fall for me soon?" Karl says. "Yeah, that happened. Pretty sure you'll forgive me soon, too. I even apologized."

Sapnap makes show of rolling his eyes, but he sticks out his own pinky. "Fine. As long as you never kiss Quackity again."

"Wait, I didn't agree to this," Quackity intrudes, but Sapnap interrupts him.

"Hold up, I've been meaning to ask. Why a fucking broomstick?"

Quackity glares at him. "Why the fuck not, asshole?"

"Okay, wait," Karl cuts in. "I won't pinky promise unless you two try to get along."

"That's..." Sapnap starts, but Karl interlocks their pinkies before he can finish.

"Perfect. Now we can all be friends."

"What the fuck?" Quackity and Sapnap say at the same time, and Karl bursts into giggles. And if they still sound a little hysterical, he hopes no one notices.

"Make me another promise," Sapnap says. "Stay safe. I don't care if that means you're locked in a classroom until you learn how to protect yourself. Or how to stop rushing into danger."

After everything that's happened, Karl's more than happy to agree to such an easy deal. But he pecks Sapnap on the lips first, relishing his surprised blush. "Sure. Whatever you say, big guy."

"I think I'm gonna be sick," Quackity mutters and Sapnap's eyes glitter as he claps Karl on the shoulder.

As Karl heads back up to the second floor, Quackity at his side, he decides that some stupid mistakes are worth it.

(1763 words)

Notes:

I love writing in Karl's perspective so much and this is the first chapter in his pov! I'll definitely write more in his pov soon especially to explain some of his backstory so I hope you enjoyed it <3<3

Chapter 23: It's Halloween!

Notes:

I really wanted to write something for Halloween, so here's a Halloween special. This isn't part of the plot or anything it's just a chapter I wrote for fun. This one's a longer chapter so I hope you enjoy!!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

No One's POV

"Oh my God, guys!" Bad half-screams, making the rest of his friends jump. "It's Halloween!"

"So?" Quackity, Dream, and George deadpan while Skeppy jumps to his feet, looking excited, and Karl and Sapnap exchange an enthusiastic glance.

Bad looks exasperated. "So we should celebrate! Maybe the other guys wanna do something."

Quackity gives him a flat look. "No offense, but I really don't think Techno or Lil Nas fucking X care about Halloween."

Bad doesn't even get the chance to language him, before a knock comes on the classroom door. Montero opens the door, wearing a sparkling black bodysuit, complete with cat ears and a fuzzy tail.

"Um, guys," Montero says, wearing a mischievous smile. "I found a bunch of Halloween stuff in the basement. Like this fucking gorgeous costume," he adds, gesturing to his cat tail. When no one responds, he blinks. "You guys do know it's Halloween, right?"

Quackity's mouth has dropped open, Dream is blushing bright red, and Bad looks like he's caught between feeling grateful and wanting to lecture Montero, either for the costume or for his language.

"Hold up, let me get this straight..." Quackity starts, just as Sapnap practically yells, "You went to the basement?"

"Yeah, not gonna lie," Karl says. "That's usually where they die in horror movies."

Montero laughs and covers his mouth with his hands. He's wearing black nail polish to match his costume. "And the black guy always dies first, huh?"

"To be fair, I wasn't gonna say it."

"Horror movies are dumb," Dream interjects loudly. "Ghosts aren't real so what's there to be scared of?"

Bad and Skeppy turn in unison to stare at Dream, looking at him like they're almost sure he's lost his mind. "Ok first of all," Skeppy says. "Ghosts are real. And unless you want them to kill us, you probably shouldn't offend them. Also, have you ever seen a horror movie? There's like, a million things to be scared of. Um, demons" - he ticks them off on his fingers as he lists them - "Dolls, clowns, serial killers, aliens..."

"The point," Dream interrupts. "Is that we don't have to be scared of the basement. Besides, we're literally in the middle of an apocalypse. I doubt dolls are that big a fucking deal compared to zombies."

"What he said," Montero agrees, smiling. "So, who wants to come down to the basement with me to find costumes?"

Bad and Skeppy immediately raise their hands. So does Karl and, a heartbeat later, Sapnap. Then, Dream.

Everyone turns to look at George and Quackity.

George shrugs. "I'll go too, I guess."

"You guys are all insane," Quackity decides. "No, I'm not going to the fucking basement. I don't want to die, unlike you, dumbasses."

"Ok," George says, turning back toward the door. "Your choice. Let's go, then."

"Wait!" Quackity calls when they all start to leave. "You're all actually going? You're just gonna leave me here?"

Karl looks apologetic. But George points out, "Isn't a safer up here, according to you?" and Quackity's cheeks flush.

They're already halfway down the stairwell when Quackity catches up to them, breathless. No one says anything, but George shoots Quackity a smirk that sends his blood boiling. "Stupid British asshole," he says under his breath as they reach another stairwell, this one leading to the basement.

"Oh, I almost forgot," Montero says from the front of the group. "Techno's supposed to join us here."

As if one cue, Techno appears from the shadows, materializing like a ghost. "So, you guys are going down to the basement?"

"Techno, save us!" Quackity says. "These guys actually want to go down to the basement. It's literally probably haunted."

"I mean, which one is it then?" Techno says. "Cause only one of those means it's haunted."

With that, the group heads down to the basement, descending the creaking steps into the inky darkness. Quackity's last, grumbling as he goes, his knuckles white on his broomstick. And when the door shuts behind them, leaving them in the dusty silence, he's not the only one to jump a little.

Bad and Skeppy's POV

"Oh. My. God.," Skeppy whispers, his hand tight around Bad's. "Look at all this Halloween shit!"

"Language," Bad murmurs back, taking in the boxes of costumes and decorations and old casette tapes. "It is kinda cool though."

"Explore all you like," Montero says, and Skeppy and Bad start to move toward some of the boxes in the far corner.

"Wait, we're splitting up?" Quackity says, but no one seems to hear him. They're all transfixed by the dusty boxes.

"Holy shit!" Skeppy exclaims, rushing to one of the boxes. He pulls out a mask, shaped like a demon. "This is so fucking cool!"

"Language, Skeppy!" Bad pouts, moving away to another box. "And put that thing away, I don't like it."

An idea comes to Skeppy's mind and he lets out an evil laugh while Bad shoots daggers at him. "Don't worry, Bad, I'll put it away." Eventually, he thinks, and smiles.

"Why do you look so evil right now?" Bad says but then, he gasps. "Oh my God, Skeppy, look!" He pulls a costume out of one of the boxes. "It's a muffin costume!"

The costume is a literal muffin with tights for the arms and legs. "That is the dumbest thing I've ever seen," Skeppy states. "Unlike my mask."

Bad doesn't even seem to hear him, as he stares at the costume, humming excitedly. "I'm going to put this on," he says and Skeppy doesn't get the chance to protest before Bad leaves him alone in the dark.

But he decides this is the perfect time for his plan, so he pulls the demon mask over his face and hides in the darkest corner he can find.

"Skeppy?" Bad's voice comes from the dark and he looks confused when Skeppy isn't where he left him. "Where are you?"

"Boo!" Skeppy yells, jumping out of the dark, and Bad screams something intelligible, scrambling back. Skeppy bursts into laughter and yanks off his mask, tears streaming down his face. "Oh my God, I got you! That was so funny." He wipes his cheeks with his sleeves. "You should have seen your face!"

"You- you bubblehead," Bad shrieks. "You flipping scared me!"

"That was the point!" Skeppy giggles, but he extends a hand to help Bad from where he'd landed on the basement floor. "I'm sorry, Bad, it was a joke. Please forgive me."

Bad stands on his own, refusing his hand. "No, you muffinhead. I'm mad at you."

"Wait, I'm sorry," Skeppy says, but he can't hide the laughter in his voice. Until he sees a bug and his laughter turns into a scream. "Bad, there's a bug!"

Bad snorts. "That's karma," he says, but he takes Skeppy's hand and leads him away from the bug. "Fine, I forgive you. But don't do it again."

Skeppy sighs, but he buries his head into Bad's shoulder, wrapping his arms around his waist. "Fineee. I like your costume, by the way."

Bad kisses the top of his head. "Thank you! Now you need to find a costume, too."

"I already have a costume," Skeppy says, holding up his mask, and he giggles when Bad lets out a frustrated groan.

Sapnap and Karl's POV

"This way," Karl decides, grabbing Sapnap's hand and pulling him toward a pile of boxes. "We're literally gonna have the best costumes ever."

"Facts, dude," Sapnap says. "Look at all this shit."

Karl bursts into laughter as he pulls out a green costume. "Oh my God, dude, not gonna lie... this is so me."

It's a frog costume, complete with ears and a zipper over the face. "I'm so wearing this," Karl giggles. "Should I?"

Sapnap shrugs. "Your choice, dude. I actually want something scary for my costume, though."

"Scary costumes are literally overrated," Karl states and he starts to tug his hoodie over his head, revealing a strip of pale skin.

Sapnap coughs, cheeks pinking. "What are you doing, nimrod? Just wear it over your hoodie, it's literally a onesie."

"Why, are you uncomfortable?" Karl asks, smirking, and he pulls his hoodie over his head. He's not wearing a shirt underneath and Sapnap looks away from his exposed chest, his neck and face hot. "Relax, man," Karl says, taking his time to slip into the frog costume and Sapnap decides to search another box to distract himself.

"What the fuck is this?" Sapnap asks, pulling out a black dress with white lace and a matching headpiece.

"It's a fucking maid dress," Karl says, howling with laughter. "You have to wear it!"

"Are you out of your mind?" Sapnap asks and he takes a step back when Karl moves toward him. But Karl only plucks the dress out of his hands and studies it.

"Just try it on," Karl says, putting a hand on Sapnap's shoulder. "For me."

"Why would I ever do that?"

"Do you want me to kneel and beg or something?" Karl says, a faint smirk on his lips and Sapnap flushes.

"Fine," Sapnap grumbles. He shucks off his hoodie. "But I'm keeping my shirt and pants on."

"As you should," Karl says, handing him the dress.

"And this stays between us," Sapnap says, meeting Karl's eyes.

"Relax, dude," Karl says again, his eyes trained suspiciously near to Sapnap's chest. "Just put on the dress."

Sapnap tugs the dress over his head, grimacing at how tight the neckline is. A part of the dress pops, but he manages to get it over his chest. "I can't fucking breath in this thing."

"It's fine," Karl says. He places the headpiece on Sapnap's head and tugs at the dress so that it reaches Sapnap's thighs. His hands trail back up, pausing at Sapnap's waist. "Perfect."

Sapnap steps out of Karl's grip, but Karl only moves closer, one hand on Sapnap's hip and the other flat on his stomach. Sapnap's breath hitches as the hand on his stomach moves lower, stopping right above something important. "Just smoothing out the creases," Karl says innocently and Sapnap steps away, the butterflies in his stomach turning into liquid heat.

"I'm taking this off," Sapnap says. "Now."

Karl's giggle follows him as he walks off to find another costume.

Dream and George's POV

George sighs as he follows Dream down a dark corridor. "This is so stupid."

"Okay, Mr I Hate My Life," Dream says, giving him a sidelong look. "What, you don't like Halloween?"

George rolls his eyes, his voice unenthusiastic. "I liked Halloween when I was like five years old."

"So like, forty years ago?"

George hits him on the arm and Dream bites the inside of his cheek to keep himself from laughing. "Ok, George, I'm sorry. Let's just find some costumes."

"Fine," George mutters. "But I'm not dressing up."

Dream moves closer to his side, his hand grazing George's. "What if I convince you?"

"You can't," George says. He steps away and continues down the hall, leaving Dream to wonder what had happened to him that morning.

"Dream, I found something," George says and Dream follows him into a room full of boxes. The boxes are stacked to the brim with old casette tapes.

"Okay, on second thought..." Dream mutters, looking around. "This looks exactly like some shit out of a horror movie."

George seems unconcerned and he pads around the room, staring into the boxes with a bored expression. "Doesn't seem all that horror-like to me."

"What is with you today?" Dream says. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine, what do you mean," George deadpans and Dream gives him a look. George sighs. "I just don't like Halloween that much, okay?"

"Why?"

George shrugs. "I never really celebrated it. What's the point?"

Dream steps closer to him and grabs his hand. "Most people on Halloween just spend time with friends and go to parties and stuff. I mean, we're kind of in the middle of a zombie apocalypse but we can still spend time together."

"That's actually so cheesy, idiot."

Dream smiles. "Maybe," he says, and leans down to kiss George on the lips. "Promise me you'll try to not sound like you're dying for the rest of the night?"

"What if I don't?" George says, still deadpan but with a mischievous gleam in his eyes.

Dream leans close like he's gonna kiss him and George's breath hitches. But he moves his lips to graze George's ear. "You don't want to find out."

George bristles. "You're an idiot," he states but he accepts Dream's pinkie promise with an eye roll. And when Dream leans down to kiss him again, he accepts that too, threading his hands through Dream's hair.

No One's POV

Dream and George emerge from the casette room a few minutes later, hair messy and lips swollen. "Where have you two been?" Quackity asks, sounding scarily like a disappointed parent.

"We found a room," Dream says. "What have you been doing?"

Quackity crosses his arms. "Sulking."

George scoffs. "Sounds like a waste of time," he says and Quackity glares at him.

"Guys, we found a room full of casette tapes," Dream calls and the others join them on their way back to the casette room.

Bad is wearing a muffin costume, Skeppy has a demon mask on, Karl is dressed in a frog onesie, and Sapnap is wearing a cowboy hat with a sheriff's star on his shirt, his face tinged a faint pink.

"Look who wasn't productive," he says to Dream and George, who roll their eyes.

"What happened to you?" George asks and Sapnap goes red-faced.

Karl traces the casette tapes ahead of them. "We should watch one."

"What?" Quackity asks at the same time as Montero says, "Sounds fun."

Techno's the one who picks one out, stating that The Conjuring is a classic. "That is so fucking cursed," Karl pronounces.

"Yup," Techno says. "There's a TV in the next room."

The TV room has a sofa and a loveseat. Bad and Skeppy take the loveseat and the others divide the couch. Karl pulls Sapnap to the floor in front of the couch and Techno claims a spot behind the loveseat, standing like a bodyguard.

"I bet this won't be scary," Sapnap scoffs, his voice sounding more high-pitched than usual. Karl pinches him to shut him up and George kicks him from the couch.

When the movie starts, everyone goes quiet, and whatever bravado they had left disappears.

"Holy shit," Sapnap whispers, clutching his rifle like it can defeat fictional ghosts, and Karl buries his face in Sapnap's shoulder to stifle a scream. At a jumpscare, Karl wraps his arms around Sapnap, who's to busy screaming and grabbing at Karl's hand to complain.

Bad and Skeppy are caught between shrieking and hugging each other, both looking pale and terrified. Quackity screams curse words at every jumpscare and even Montero swears quietly, his eyes wide. Techno just laughs at the ghosts and - in the middle of the movie - he leaves the room to kill a zombie that had somehow followed them into the basement.

"Even he's scared!" Quackity exclaims.

"Exactly!" Sapnap agrees. "Why else would he leave at the scariest part?"

"This is not the scariest part," Techno informs them as he returns, his knives blood-stained. "Good luck."

Dream's holding George's hand, more for his own sake than for George, who seems as bored as ever. "What the fuck is wrong with you?" Dream whispers as George doesn't even flinch at the next jumpscare. "You made a promise."

"I didn't promise to be scared."

"So?" Dream scoffs, tightening his hold on George's hand with the next jumpscare. "I said don't sound like you're dying, which you do right now."

"This is just how I sound," George says, but Dream gives him a look. "Fine," George says, moving so that his head is resting on Dream's shoulder. "Happy? I'm terrified."

A smile pulls on Dream's lips. "Happier," he says as he slides into a slouch so that George's head falls onto his chest. George grumbles but he seems comfortable enough and Dream's hand on his loosens to a comfortable hold.

They stay up for hours into the night, watching horror movies and cuddling, and by the end of it, George has fallen asleep on Dream's chest, their chests rising and falling in tandem. Bad and Skeppy are cuddled together, half asleep, and the others have succumbed to laughter, making fun of the horror movies and each other's costumes and anything else that comes to mind.

"Happy Halloween, guys," Bad mutters to the others, just before he falls asleep.

(2772 words)

Notes:

Happy Halloween <3

Chapter 24: The Muffinhead

Chapter Text

Tw: swearing, weapons

Sapnap stares after Karl for a full minute after he's left, still wondering what the fuck had happened.

He knows Karl can be reckless but it's himself he's mad at. He should have told Karl what he felt, should have stayed with him. The guilt surfaces again and he tries to push it down. After all, they both apologized and forgave each other, and they both made stupid mistakes.

And he has a meeting to get to.

Sap shoulders his rifle and starts back down the hall, heading to the classroom Bad said they were meeting in. He doesn't meet any zombies on the way, and part of him is glad for it. He doesn't trust himself to fight zombies right now, not with the memory of Karl's lips on his still fresh in his mind.

Another memory, one involving a particularly annoying dude wearing a beanie, distracts him for a moment. He folds his fist over his rifle. He wants to rush back upstairs and punch Quackity in the face, even if he was technically helping Karl. The only thing holding him back is the stupid pinkie promise he made. He'll honor it, only for Karl's sake.

"Sapnap!" a voice says from a classroom.

Sap's gaze focuses on a familiar face. "Bad? What are you doing here?"

Bad grins and opens the classroom door wider to let him in. "Techno asked for me, too."

Sapnap frowns. "I wonder what he wants." He looks around the empty classroom. "He's not even here yet."

Bad shuts the door behind them. Sap notices he's got his shotgun slung over his shoulder. "He said he's going to get George. Apparently, he wants to meet with all of us."

Sapnap remembers Techno's tall, imposing form and wonders again what he could possibly want from them. Another smaller part of him also wonders if he could take him in a fight, but he knows there's no chance.

"Hey, Sap?"

"Yeah?"

"You're zoning out a lot today." There's concern in Bad's eyes. "Are you alright?"

Sapnap starts to shrug. He hasn't even told George and Dream about the whole Karl situation and he's not sure he wants them to know. But Bad's known Karl for longer. He might be able to help him.

"I think I messed up," Sapnap admits. "With Karl."

He waits for Bad to laugh or lecture him, but he only raises his eyebrows. Sapnap squeezes his hands into fists and barrels on. "I left him last night, without saying anything. I was... scared. I didn't want him to distract me or I wouldn't be able to fight. I wouldn't be able to protect all of you. So I left."

Sapnap scrubs a hand over his face. "Then, Karl pulled a really stupid prank. Him and Quackity were in it together and I think it was some sort of revenge on me. But he could have died, and that scared me too. We apologized but... I don't know. I don't know if we're good or not."

Bad lets out a long-suffering sigh. "I knew he would do something like this."

"You knew?"

Bad nods. "I've known Karl for a long time. He got mixed up with some bad people a while ago and he did a lot of bad things. Sometimes, when he's sad or upset, he turns back to that. He puts himself in danger." Bad sighs again. "The muffinhead."

Sapnap bites his lip, but the question comes out anyway. "What kind of people?"

Bad levels him with a look. "He'll tell you when he's ready. Even I don't know the whole story. But I do know he has his own fears. He's scared of being abandoned and that's what it must have felt like when you left."

The guilt in Sapnap multiplies until he wants to kick himself. "I'm such an idiot."

"Don't blame yourself, it's not your fault. Besides, he forgives people easily, and he likes you more than he likes others."

A flush creeps over Sapnap's cheeks. Just then, the classroom door opens. He and Bad both have their guns out in an instant, but Sapnap doesn't miss that his reflexes are slower than usual, his mind still distracted.

Techno and George stand in the doorway. George's eyebrows are raised.

"What did we just walk into?"

George's POV

Sapnap is bright red and Bad looks guilty. Techno just looks amused with the both of them.

George isn't sure if he should ask anything else with Techno there. He might not be as suspicious of him as Dream is, but he knows better than to expose his friends in front of a stranger.

"Good," Techno says, dryly. "We're all here."

Sapnap looks like he's trying to compose himself. "Why are we here?"

Techno raises a brow. "You chose to come here, didn't you?" When Sapnap only glares, Techno grins. "You're here because everyone else is terrible and you're not."

"What?" George and Sapnap say at the same time.

"Apprently, you're also terrible, just not as terrible," Techno amends and Bad snorts. "So we need to teach the others what we know about fighting."

"You want us to teach them?" George asks, because Sapnap already looks smug.

"Listen, I've been with Quackity and Montero since the beginning of the apocalypse. They have no idea what they're doing. You guys seem to be in a similar predicament."

"He's not wrong," Bad says matter-of-factly. "Skeppy and Karl don't know how to fight."

Techno nods sagely. "Unless we want to to watch them all die, we should probably train them or something. You guys seem like you might know what you're doing."

"I can't tell if that's a compliment or not," Sapnap mutters, but his ears are red and he looks happier than he has since George walked into the room.

Techno flips out a long knife. "I'm good with knives and swords. George here seems like a talented sharpshooter" - George smirks - "and Bad and Sapnap are good shots. I think we can teach them something."

"What about Dream?" George realizes. "He's saved all of us before."

"He's a good fighter," Techno agrees, looking contemplative. "But he's got enough on his shoulders, leading all of you. And I need him to help with the school security."

Sapnap looks offended and Bad stifles a laugh. But George wonders if it's more than that. He remembers the look Sapnap had worn when he'd first met Techno: like he wanted to fight him, like it was what he was training for. Techno has that same look in his eyes now, and George suddenly wonders if it would be a fairer fight than he originally thought.

"I'll do it," Bad says. "I was going to teach Skeppy to shoot anyway."

"I'll teach Karl," Sapnap says.

Techno nods. "I was gonna teach Quackity. That leaves George with Montero."

George's heart plummets. "Great." He knows he sounds deadpan, especially when Techno shoots him a knowing look. But he can't help it, not when he remembers their earlier conversation. I'm a little disappointed.

He knew Montero was gay, but he hadn't realized he was interested in his Dream.

"Well, that's settled," Techno says. "I'm gonna go fight some zombies now."

Sapnap's eyes widen, his hands tightening on his rifle. "I'm going with you," he says, eyes shining with determination. Techno raises a brow, shrugs, and leaves, Sapnap in tow.

George and Bad shake their heads. "What an idiot," George says, and Bad sighs.

George turns to face Bad. "By the way, what were you guys talking about when we got here?"

"Sapnap and Karl are having... issues. They're fine right now though." Bad shakes his head again. "Their relationship is literally turning out weirder than mine and Skeppy's."

George raises a brow. "How did you guys get together?"

Bad smiles wistfully. "Skeppy trolled me. He confessed his feelings to me, and when I found out he was joking, I didn't speak to him for a whole day. And then we got together."

George stares at him, waiting for some explanation that never comes. "That's it?"

Bad nods innocently and George realizes he's not going to say anything else.

Bad shoots him a look. "What about you and Dream?"

George feels his heart stutter. "What about us?"

"Are you two dating?"

The words are exactly Montero's and a part of George wants desperately to agree with them. But he's not sure.

"I haven't talked to Dream about it yet."

"Talk to him then. It's not like he's gonna reject you or anything, you already know he likes you. Now you just have to put a label on it."

"I guess," George says, noncomittally.

Bad buries his face in his hands and groans. "You guys are all muffinheads."

George can't help but grin as he and Bad leave the classroom. And even though his heart is galloping in his chest, he resolves to talk to Dream about it as soon as they get a moment alone together. As soon as he can.

(1502 words)

Chapter 25: Can We Talk?

Notes:

Been in my missing dnf arc recently so here's a chapter in their pov... enjoy <3

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: swearing

Dream is waiting for them at the top of the stairwell.

"What did he want?" he asks, gaze stormy.

George rolls his eyes and Bad sighs. "No need to be so paranoid, Dream," Bad says and George is glad he's not the only one noticing.

"I'm not being paranoid," Dream mutters, but he relaxes a little and steps aside to let them pass.

George stops beside Dream to take his hand. Bad wanders off casually, leaving them alone to talk. Suddenly, George's heart is in his throat and whatever he'd been planning to say dries up on his tongue.

Dream is looking at him expectantly so George says, "He wants us to train the others. Me, Sapnap, and Bad. Cause we're the best."

Dream scoffs. "I mean..."

George shrugs. "Techno's words, not mine," he says, even though Techno had said something along the lines of them being not terrible.

"Dream, can we talk?" George says, the words popping out of his mouth before he can stop them. He wants to slap a hand over his mouth and take them back, but Dream just nods.

"Sure. Here, or...?"

"Not here," George says breathlessly and tugs Dream down the hall, as far away from their classroom as he can get. "Let's find a classroom."

Dream looks confused but he follows him without question - a gesture of such trust that George doesn't know what to do with it. So he stays quiet, his blood thrumming, until they've reached a classroom at the far end of the hall. He opens the door and shoves Dream inside, before glancing around to make sure no one's seen them.

"George?" Dream asks as George closes the door of the empty classroom.

"What?" George asks, feeling jittery.

Dream leans toward him, until his mouth brushes his ear, and George curses inwardly at the effect it has on his already speeding heart. He speaks so softly that George almost has to lean in to hear him. "You're acting kind of sus."

"That's my word, idiot," George says, pulling away.

Dream scoffs. "I mean, it's not. You can't just own a word."

"Ohhh. But I do. What are you going to do about it?"

Dream moves so quickly that George doesn't have the time to react, wrapping his long arms around him until George's head is cushioned against his broader chest. "There. Now I'm never letting go."

"Are you serious?" George says, struggling against him. But Dream's hold on him only tightens and George sighs, slumping against him. "Fine, you win, idiot. Happy?"

"Extremely," Dream says and George huffs out a reluctant laugh. "Now what did you want to talk to me about?"

The laughter drains out of George as he remembers why he's here, how he ended up in Dream's arms. He wonders for a moment if it will be easier to ask his question with his head buried in Dream's shoulder, but he wants to face him. He pushes away from Dream, quick enough that he manages to escape his hold.

Dream pouts, and the expression is dangerously disarming. But George forces himself to look into Dream's eyes, bright and green, as he takes a step back to fully look at him.

"I wanted to talk about... us," he says. "About our label."

Dream tilts his head, questioning. "Our label?"

"Like..." George gestures between them. "What we are."

Dream stares at him for a full second before breaking into a smile, eyes sparkling. "You're such an idiot."

George knows he looks affronted because Dream wheezes out a laugh. "What do you think we are?" Dream asks, teasing. "What's our label, George?"

George's cheeks heat and, to his horror, he stammers when he says his next words, "How would I know?"

Dream takes a step toward him. "Isn't it obvious, George?"

"Stop saying my name like that," George mutters, cheeks flaming brighter. "I don't know! We both like each other..."

"Which means?" Dream says, taking another step until he's towering over George. "Say the word, George."

George rolls his eyes, but he's backed against a wall and Dream's tone says there's no escape. His words come out in a rushed breath. "Are we dating?"

Dream chuckles under his breath and a shiver runs through George. "Say the word, idiot." His hands are flat on the wall, his arms caging George, who's not sure if he should be cowering or standing up against Dream.

Or maybe he can use this to his advantage.

George stands up taller, his chin level with Dream's chest. "What? Boyfriend?"

Dream exhales roughly like it's actually the word he's been waiting to hear. Like hearing the word from George's mouth has more of an effect on him than he wants to admit. "Yes, we're dating," Dream says, the words final and decisive. "I'm your boyfriend."

George's heart stutters in his chest. His palms feel sweaty as they land on Dream's chest of their own accord.

With that, George pushes Dream away, ducks out under his arm, and starts to leave the classroom. "Great."

"Where are you going?" Dream scrambles to block his way, surprised enough that his commanding demeanor disappears.

"I'm leaving," George states. "You already gave me an answer."

But just as he reaches the door, Dream's hand pushes flat against the wood, shutting them both in. "We're not done here," he says and George shivers at his low voice. At the gleam in his eyes. He remembers their kiss in the hallway with a sudden clarity, and Dream's words earlier: I'm your boyfriend.

Dream's POV

George's eyes turn liquid dark and heat blazes through Dream.

"Kiss me," George says suddenly and Dream snaps out of his daze.

"What? Here?" he asks, forgetting himself. He can barely think with George's eyes on him, with his voice in his head: boyfriend. The classroom suddenly feels too small and Dream's skin feels too hot.

"Yes," George says, shifting closer to him. "I thought you said I had pretty privilege."

"Yeah, but..." But his heart is hammering in his chest, almost loud enough to block George's words. George had said he'd use his pretty privilege against him, Dream remembers vaguely. But when he looks at George, at his dark eyes and pink lips, the thought disappears.

George arches an eyebrow, stepping even closer. "But what, Dream?"

His tone, teasing and provocative, is what shatters him. Dream forgets everything as he leans down and locks their lips together.

George's lips are soft and sweet and his fingers find their way into Dream's hair, pulling at the strands until Dream gasps and bites George's lip. Their breaths mingle and Dream feels himself slowly losing control as George's small hands land on his chest, fisting the fabric of his hoodie.

"Take this off," George mumbles against his lips and Dream finds himself tugging his hoodie up and over his head, leaving only the white fabric of his T-shirt between his chest and George's hands.

Until he realizes that he's listening to George's commands when he should be the one giving them.

Dream guides them both backward, his hands on George's waist, until he finds a desk to ease himself onto, pulling George onto his lap and biting back a groan as George straddles him. There's no doubt this time that George knows what he's doing to him when he shifts in Dream's lap, smirking against his lips. When Dream pinches his thigh in retaliation, George adjusts his position until Dream can't help the curses he breathes out.

"You fucking... tease," Dream mutters, dipping a trail of kisses over George's jaw and neck. Victory surges through him as George moans, soft and low, against his shoulder.

"This isn't a competition," George says between gasps, poking Dream in the chest accusingly. "Why are you trying to beat me?"

Dream's lips tug up. "Who says I am?" he shoots back, pressing a gentle kiss to George's forehead. George grumbles a little but he melts into Dream's arms, resting his cheek against Dream's shoulder.

"I know you," George says. "It's always a competion with you."

Dream smirks, thinking back to what he'd told George in the woods. He guides light hands over George's sides and back, his smirk widening as George shivers. "You love it," he tells him, brushing a hand over the neckline of George's hoodie. When he pulls it back, exposing George's feather-white skin, heat brands through him. "What's this?" he murmurs, tracing a finger over a dark red spot on George's neck. George stiffens against him, biting his lip. "Did I do this?" Dream asks, thinking back to their kiss in the hallway.

"Shut up," George says but his breath hitches when Dream kisses the spot, tracing it with his tongue like he'd done with his fingers.

"See?" Dream says, planting a kiss on George's head. "I do win."

George says nothing, but there's nothing innocent about the way he shifts in Dream's lap. "We'll see," he says, and the image that enters Dream's mind isn't all that innocent either.

They stay like that, Dream's arms wrapped around George protectively, for what could be a few minutes or a whole hour. Either way, Dream doesn't want to move, doesn't want time to pass. The word boyfriend repeats in his mind, a chant in George's voice that sends warmth to his heart with every heartbeat.

It takes him a while to realize that George has fallen asleep, tucked into his chest. His chest rises and falls gently, his face serene in his sleep. Dream pushes back a stray lock of dark hair from his forehead, smiling at his boyfriend. His boyfriend.

Dream carries George back to their classroom, cradling his head to his chest, watching as George cuddles into him. The class is empty when he enters, and he sets George down on his sleeping bag. An instinct washes over him, and he finds himself lying down next to George, finds George cuddling into him, fitting their bodies together.

When he wakes up, what feels like hours later, George is still sleeping next to him and someone is shaking him awake.

He recognizes Sapnap's face through bleary eyes. "Fucking... what do you want?" he whispers, overly aware of the non-existant space between him and George.

But those thoughts disappear when he catches the stormy look on Sapnap's face. He sits up, letting George's arm drop to the ground. "What's wrong?"

Sapnap rubs a hand over his face, his gaze intense. "I need your help, dude."

George stirs right at that moment, eyes fluttering open. "What is it?" he mutters, his hand flying instinctively to Dream's.

Sapnap gives them both a hard stare, his hands balled into fists. When he speaks, his voice is rough and untethered. "Karl's gone."

(1789 words)

Notes:

Thank you so much for everyone who's been reading this and leaving comments (which are always super appreciated)!! I'm really excited excited to release the next chapters, a bunch of cool stuff is coming! Hope y'all enjoyed this chapter <3<3

Chapter 26: Karl's Gone

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: swearing, zombies, blood, weapons, injury

Sapnap's nails bite into his skin as he balls his hands into fists. The words tumble out before he can stop them. "Karl's gone."

Dream and George both sit up immediately. "What do you mean he's gone?" Dream asks, worry creasing his features.

Sapnap exhales, trying to get his thoughts in order, to remember the last half hour. "Okay, listen. I was fighting zombies with Techno after our meeting," he says, nodding at George. "And then I ran into that dumbass, Quackity, and he said he couldn't find Karl. They were together and then Karl just disappeared. We looked through the whole school and we couldn't find him."

George is already standing up, his crossbow balanced in his hands. "Maybe you just didn't look hard enough, idiot," he says with a scoff, but the concern is obvious in his voice.

"I looked everywhere, nimrod," Sapnap growls, and then realizes that he's used Karl's word again. A new pang of worry hits him and he grinds his teeth. "Can you guys help me?"

"Of course we can," Dream says, sliding his knives out of his belt. "I'll take this floor and George can take the first floor. Sapnap, go search outside. If he left the school, he couldn't have gone far."

Sapnap curses himself for not having thought of that. "Alright," he agrees, and the three of them split up at the classroom door.

Dream nods at them and starts down a hallway, checking each classroom door as he goes. Sapnap and George take the stairs two at a time and George puts a hand on his shoulder before they part ways.

"We'll find him, Sapnap," he says and Sapnap can't do anything more than nod numbly back at him.

When he's alone, George's footsteps disappearing behind him, all of his worry hits him again, like a punch to the stomach.

He hadn't explained the whole story to his friends. Quackity had burst into the classroom him and Techno were in, out of breath, wide-eyed and panicking. "Karl's missing," he'd told Sapnap, his tone half-desperate, half-accusing. "You need to find him."

"He's missing?" Sapnap asked when his brain finally caught up with Quackity's words. "You lost him?"

Quackity seemed too worried to be affronted. "I didn't fucking lose him, he just disappeared. I can't find him anywhere." Quackity sighed, pulling at his beanie. "I need your help."

"If this is another fucking prank..." Sapnap growled but he ran out of the classroom faster than he'd ever run in his life, Quackity rushing behind him.

They'd searched the school for half an hour, Techno even taking a break from killing zombies to help. They found no trace of him.

Presently, Sapnap knocks aside the barrier at the doors, trusting that Techno or someone else will fix it. A group of zombies drags toward him, retching and lurching, and he slices at them with his rifle, the metal bursting through their skulls and splattering blood everywhere. He barely notices it, even as it splashes over his face and clothes. The grounds around the school seem barren as a wasteland and he sees no trace of Karl anywhere.

"Fuck," Sapnap growls as he fights his way through the crowd of zombies blocking him from seeing the back of the school. Their mangled bodies fall, and he wades through them until he's out of ammo and he has to use his gun like a sword.

The back of the school is as empty as the front. Sapnap's desperation finally gets the best of him and he screams, "Karl!", his voice breaking. He shouts his name until his throat is raw. A zombie claws at him and he swats it away, realizing that he's being backed against the school wall.

He swings at them, arms starting to tire. One zombie, it's mouth splattered with blood, grabs at him and Sapnap's gun slips from his hands as he pivots to dodge it. His rifle falls to the ground and the zombie manages to get a hold of him.

"Bastard!" Sapnap yells, punching at its face. He manages to duck out from its grip, leaving nail marks on his hoodie. But another zombie comes at him and he knows he won't be able to take them all on.

"Nick!" a voice calls, and a rock falls from the sky and hits the zombie nearest to him, knocking it to the ground. "Get up here! Use the ladder!"

Sapnap lets out a string of curse words at the familiar voice, at the zombies surrounding him, at the pain in his muscles from fighting. He scrambles up the old, rusted ladder behind him, leading up to the roof. The zombies crowd around at its base, but they can't climb, even as they claw at the metal.

Hands reach out and pull Sapnap up the rest of the way. Sapnap falls onto his back and finds himself staring at the sky, bright and blurry.

An equally blurry face materializes over him. When his vision clears, the first thing he sees are beautiful eyes, blue and green and gray.

"What in fucking God are you doing?" Karl asks, his voice breaking with worry, his words raw. "You're literally drenched in blood, you could have died, nimrod!"

There's no light humor in his voice, no sparkle in his eyes. Nothing but pure worry and Sapnap doesn't know if he wants to scream or throw his arms around him.

"I could have died?" he asks, his voice quiet and strained. "What about you, Karl? Where the fuck have you been?"

Karl's hands go to his shoulders and pull him into a sitting position. He's crouched next to him, his fists balled into his hoodie. "Were you looking for me?" he asks softly, as if he's realizing it for the first time.

"Everyone was. Dream and George and Quackity and Techno. You had everyone worried," Sapnap says, his voice rough, his heart hammering.

But his heart plummets when Karl's eyes well up with tears, one hand flying up to cover his mouth. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to worry you. I just..."

Sapnap moves without thinking, wrapping his arms around Karl's, whose head falls onto his shoulder. He breaks into sobs and the sound brings frustrated tears to Sapnap's eyes.

Karl lets out a shaky laugh, wiping away his tears. "I have a habit of climbing things when I'm upset. Scared the life out of Bad and Skeppy when they found me on the outside of a balcony ten floors up."

Sapnap just snorts, blinking back his emotions. "That's honestly concerning."

Karl sniffles, nuzzling into Sapnap's neck like a cat, his lips touching the skin there. A shock of warmth goes through Sapnap despite their situation and he hugs Karl a little closer. "I think Bad had his fair share of heartattacks looking after me."

Sapnap feels himself go still, remembering Bad's words. He'll tell you when he's ready.

And even though Sapnap still wants to attack the roof or yell at something...

"Why were you upset?" Sapnap asks when Karl goes silent. "Quackity says you just disappeared."

He doesn't add that he really wanted to punch Quackity when he found out, or that Quackity came to him for help.

He feels Karl shrug, his voice somehow distant. "That prank I pulled on you was stupid, wasn't it? It reminded me of the stuff I used to do in college. People always said I would act first and think later. They were probably right but I let my impulsive side get the best of me."

"It was stupid," Sapnap admits. "But you're okay, and we're okay. Don't be upset about that."

"I just don't want to go back to what I used to be like," Karl whispers against Sapnap's neck. "I thought Bad and Skeppy helped me out of it, but the apocalypse brought it back."

"Brought what back?" Sapnap asks, his anger giving way to fear. Fear that he won't answer and fear that the answer will be more terrifying.

"It's like... you know that rush of adrenaline you feel when you're on a roller coaster? It's like that. I used to look for that feeling to the point where I would throw myself into danger without thinking about it. I mean, I would think about it but I would ignore what my brain was telling me. I'd get drunk or jump out of cars or steal shit so that my friends would think I was cool."

Karl takes a deep breath like he can't believe he's admitted all that. Sapnap just squeezes him tighter, his mind spinning, going through everything Karl just told him.

"I'll help you out of it," he says. "I promise, Karl, I'll help you change."

Karl sniffles again, pressing a kiss to Sapnap's neck, then his shoulder, then his cheek. "And I'll try not to worry you again. Or any of the other guys."

"You better not," Sapnap mutters against Karl's hair. "Honestly, Karl, I thought you were..."

Karl stops him with a cool hand on his cheek. He leans in and presses his mouth to Sapnap's, hard and grounding. When they break apart, he leans their foreheads together. "But I'm not. And I'm really sorry, Nick. For real."

Sapnap swallows hard, his lips warm and tingling. "Don't be. You're good, dude."

He plants a kiss on Karl's forehead and links their hands together to drag them both to their feet. "We should probably go. I didn't get to tell the others I found you."

They double-check their surroundings from the roof and find that the zombies have dispersed. Sapnap still decides to go first, in case a zombie sneak attacks them.

"Be careful, dude," Karl says, laying a hand on his arm. Sapnap winces when it lands on where a zombie tore the fabric.

Sapnap just nods as he starts down the ladder. When he's done a sweep of the area to find it empty, he motions for Karl to come down.

It's only as Sapnap reaches down to pick up the rifle a zombie knocked out of his hands that he notices the red staining his white hoodie. The blood that looks too fresh to belong to one of the zombies.

He pulls back his sleeve, the one that a zombie clawed, the one that stung when Karl touched it. His heart lurches in his chest.

Three angry red lines scar his forearm. Three marks made by a zombie. The blood makes him feel dizzy and he's glad Karl isn't there to see it.

His mind rushes through every zombie movie he's ever seen and he wonders if he's gonna die. The sound of Karl's footsteps of gravel snaps him back to reality and he yanks his sleeve back down. He'll think about it later but he can't let Karl know until then. Or anyone else.

Karl's brow furrows and he takes Sapnap's hand. "You good, dude?"

Sapnap forces a smile. "Yeah, I'm good," he says, and before Karl can read into his tone too much, he tugs him toward the entrance. "Let's go inside."

(1852 words)

Notes:

Not the double cliffhanger...

Hope y'all enjoyed <3

Chapter 27: I Can Stay

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: anxiety, blood, injury, weapons, nightmares

There's something off about Sapnap and Karl can't tell what it is.

He seems fine, except for the blood staining his clothes and the exhaustion lining his eyes. He holds Karl's hand tightly like he never wants to let go, and Karl feels tears press at his eyes all over again.

Karl thought he'd been scared the night zombies attacked them in the woods. When Sapnap had run off and left him to worry. But seeing him backed against a wall, surrounded by hungry zombies and covered in blood, Karl had felt another level of fear. He'd thrown the biggest rock he could find on the roof in desperation. And when Sapnap had collapsed in front of him, breathing hard, even the blood that would have normally made him feel nauseous only added to his fear.

It wasn't until he realized that Sapnap was equally worried about him that the guilt surfaced.

Karl's hand feels sweaty in Sapnap's as he remembers all that he revealed on the roof, everything that he told him about his past. Everything that Sapnap had listened to without judgment, promising to help him.

"Karl!" a voice yells from the school's entrance, and Karl blinks to find Quackity scrambling through the barriers of furniture to get to them. "Where the hell have you been?"

The words are almost identical to Sapnap's, who steps protectively in front of Karl. "Leave him alone, dumbass. You're the one who lost him in the first place."

"What?" Karl says, a smile tugging at his lips. "Hello? I'm a person too, you know, I can vouch for myself. And no one lost me."

He giggles as Sapnap and Quackity both turn to him in astonishment. Then, he turns back to the school doors, where Dream and George both look relieved to see him. "Hey, what's up, guys?"

George grins and Dream scrubs a hand over his face. "I know you're an independent guy and all, but you seriously have to be more careful, dude."

Karl grins, laid back and relaxed. "No worries, dude, Sapnap already gave me a lecture. Never again."

"Glad you can joke about it," Sapnap mutters, appearing at his side. "Let's go inside, away from all these idiots."

"Kinda seems like you're keeping him to yourself, Sapnap," George says, crossing his arms. "We helped look for him too, you know."

"How about you shut up and keep Dream to yourself," Sapnap says, brushing past him with Karl in tow.

"Yo, relax, Nick," Karl says, patting his arm as they head up the stairwell. He pauses when Sapnap gives the barest wince at the gesture. With a sudden clarity, he remembers the same interaction a few minutes ago. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," Sapnap says, giving him a faint smile. "You're safe, that's what matters."

Warmth blooms in Karl's heart, almost drowning out his suspicions. But he shrugs, letting Sapnap win the unspoken argument. After all, Karl has own secrets. It's only fair to let Sapnap keep some too.

When they reach the classroom, it's empty, and Karl finds himself feeling relieved. He can only hold on to a charade for so long, and pretending he was okay in front of the others drained him.

"I'm going to sleep, dude," Karl decides, heading for his sleeping bag. "You're welcome to join me."

He sneaks a look at Sapnap who flushes a dark red. Apparently, they're both remembering what happened the last time they slept next to each other.

But Sapnap shakes his head. "I was hunting zombies with Techno before you disappeared. I should get back to that. Get some rest." Sapnap squeezes his hand as he lets go and moves to the door. "And don't go climbing anything."

Karl salutes. "Yessir."

Sapnap rolls his eyes as he leaves the room, and Karl grins. But it fades as soon as the door shuts behind him. As soon as the warmth of Sapnap's hand fades from his skin.

Memories rush back: Sapnap covered in blood, his wince, the helplessness Karl felt when he had to watch him charge into battle.

And before that, the cold metal of a gun, a stupid mistake that led to something much worse, something that still haunted him.

It's pure exhaustion that forces Karl to burrow into his sleeping bag, tucking it to his chin. He closes his eyes and shoves the memories away, but he still feels jittery and impulsive and likely to disappear again.

Until Sapnap's warm words come back to him, his voice raw and honest. I'll help you out of it.

His eyes, green and smiling, seem to meet Karl's in his mind. The shadow of his hand caresses his, then moves up Karl's arms and his jaw, settling in his hair. His touch is warm and real and comforting. Karl's eyes flutter shut, a lump forming in his throat as he lets the memory of Sapnap's words and hands soothe him to sleep.

Sapnap's POV

Sapnap tries to keep down his panic as he bursts into the first bathroom he can find, not bothering to check for zombies. He still has his gun, but his hands are shaking so much he's not sure he can use it.

He managed to keep up the act in front of Karl, but he couldn't stand another moment of pretending. Of hiding his pain and worry.

He faces himself in the mirror, ignoring the dusting of blood over his face and clothes. It's the torn fabric of his hoodie that concerns him, the fresh blood welling from the zombie's scratch.

As far as he remembers, in The Walking Dead, scratches are as deadly as bites. The thought is not at all comforting as he yanks the sleeve of his hoodie up, cringing at the stab of pain and the blood running down his forearm.

It looks swollen and he's not sure what that means or if there's even a cure for it. His thoughts turn to Karl, to his friends. If he dies he can't protect them. But he doesn't want to tell them about the scratch either.

Panic surfaces and he swallows it down. Maybe he can tell someone. The idea comes to mind, his words to Karl returning to him. Techno. The only person who might be able to logically look at the situation and help him.

For now, he turns on the taps and washes off the blood, biting his lip to keep back the hisses of pain. When the scratch looks clean enough that he can see it's not that deep, he looks for something to tie with. Finding nothing in the background, he uses his good arm to rip off a strip of his pants, already torn from the zombies, and ties it tightly around his arm.

He gives himself one more minute, taking deep breaths and clearing his mind. If he can't convince himself that he's alright, then he won't be able to convince the others. Especially not Karl and Dream who always seem to be able to read his emotions.

His face smooths out the second he leaves the bathroom, tugging his bloodstained hoodie sleeve back over his arm.

"Did you find him?" a voice asks, and Sapnap nearly jumps out of his skin. His rifle swings around, a beat too slow. Techno's standing there, his brows up, a knife in each hand. "You seem jumpy."

"I'm... fine," Sapnap stammers, cursing himself. "And we found Karl. He's fine too."

"Your reflexes are slower than usual," Techno observes, and Sapnap's balls his hands into fists to keep from showing anything. Even though he's pretty sure Techno caught it.

"There's a bunch of zombies outside," Sapnap says instead. "I'm guessing the others probably put the barriers back up, but they're surrounding the school. I had to go through a bunch of them just to get to Karl."

For a second, he wonders if he's given too much away, but Techno just nods. "We're still figuring out the security. I'll let Montero know and a few of us can go out to clear some of them if we need to."

Sapnap nods. "I'll go if you need me to."

"You should rest for now. You look..."

"Terrible?" Sapnap rubs a hand over his face. "You think the others will notice?"

Techno smirks. "Not unless they've got superpowers."

Sapnap's shoulders sag. Sometimes he thinks Karl might have superpowers. Like mind reading.

"Sapnap," Techno says. "Just to let you know, injuries can be treated."

A shiver runs through Sapnap and he tries to keep a poker face. "What do you mean?"

But Techno just smirks again. "Have fun with Karl," he says, as if he can read his mind too. And he disappears down the hallway, flipping his knives, silent as a killer.

Sapnap just stares after him for a few minutes. His jaw feels like it might drop and he's not sure what to do with the conversation that just happened. Can Techno already know about the scratch?

"How?" he mutters as he heads back down the hallway. He doesn't even realize he's going to check on Karl, worry burning through him, until he's at the classroom door.

As he's turning the doorknob, a shriek pierces the air. Sapnap's blood goes cold.

Then, he's shoving into the classroom, his eyes flying straight to Karl. Karl, who's tossing in his sleeping bag, pale and asleep, his features filled with fear.

"Karl!"

Sapnap kneels by Karl's side, hands on his arms to shake him awake. Karl comes to, tears sliding down his cheeks. He bursts into a sob, clinging to Sapnap like his life depends on it.

"It was just a nightmare," Sapnap murmurs into Karl's hair, cradling his head to his chest. "You're good."

Karl's shaking but he nods against Sapnap's chest. "I'm glad you're here, Nick."

Warmth fills Sapnap's chest, especially when Karl adds, in a voice that's barely a whisper, "Can you stay with me?"

"I can stay," Sapnap says, helping Karl slide back into his sleeping bag. Karl's eyes are puffy but dry, his tears having stopped. He clings to Sapnap's hoodie, pulling him into the sleeping bag. And for once, Sapnap doesn't resist.

He lets Karl snuggle into his side, listening to his breathing even out. When he's sure Karl is asleep, he presses a kiss to his forehead, watching his features smooth out peacefully.

"Always," Sapnap murmurs.

(1730 words)

Notes:

I just wanted to let everyone know that any trigger warnings in this story are already in the tags. I wouldn't write anything that could be triggering to anyone unless I'd already put a warning in, because certain triggers make me just as uncomfortable. I don't want to give any spoilers but I also don't want people to feel uncomfortable reading this.

I hope y'all enjoyed <3<3

Chapter 28: Training Arc

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: swearing, weapons

George groans, rubbing his hands over his face. "I hate this."

Dream smirks, leaning against a wall of the classroom. Karl and Sapnap are bickering by their sleeping bags about the training session that day, and Bad and Skeppy have already left with Techno and Quackity to go to theirs.

"It won't be that bad," Dream says.

George shoots him a glare. "Shut up, idiot. I'm mentally preparing."

Dream rolls his eyes. "For what? It's just training. You're way better than him, all you have to do is teach." When George doesn't look any more excited, Dream grabs his hand. "I can join you guys, if you want. Not like I have anything else to do."

George scoffs. "So that you can spend more time simping? While Montero bats his eyelashes at you?"

Dream bites his lip, keeping in a laugh. "Jealous?"

"Don't you have school security to worry about?"

"Nothing I can't handle later," Dream says, wrapping an arm around George's shoulders. "Besides, this is more important."

"Fine, join us, then" George says, shrugging off his arm. "See if I care."

He shoulders his crossbow and marches off to the door. Karl appears at his side before he can leave. "Yo, George. Marriage problems?"

"You've literally spent the whole morning arguing with Sapnap," George counters, but the words don't hold much bite. He's as glad as the others that Karl is safe. Even if there's bruised shadows under his green-blue eyes and he looks paler than usual.

"At least we had a good reason."

"Apprently," Sapnap says, joining them. "I haven't seen the best animes, according to Karl."

George stares. "How the hell did you get to that?"

"I was saying we're on our third training arc," Karl explains. "Like in animes, when the main character has a whole ass training arc to get more powerful."

"Second, dumbass," Sapnap mutters.

"How is that even important?" George asks.

Karl looks affronted and Sapnap has to grab his hand to hold him back from whatever speech he's about to give. "We should get going," he says, dragging Karl with him. "Techno said we're meeting in the cafeteria, by the way," he adds to George. "Y'all better show up."

"We're coming," Dream says, slipping his knives into his belt.

"Are you also gonna be there?" Karl inquires and Sapnap pulls him out of the classroom before he can say anything else.

Dream huffs out a laugh as he joins George. "Come on. We're gonna be late again."

"Oh no," George deadpans as they leave the classroom. But the corners of his lips twitch up when Dream looks upward in exasperation. George takes his hand as they head down the stairs, relishing Dream's warmth.

The others are already in the cafeteria where someone - Techno, George guesses - has set up targets, like the ones they'd had at their camp near the woods. Everyone has already started and Montero is waiting for them at the far end of the room. To his credit, he's wearing sweatpants and a hoodie, though his ears are shining with silver studs. He's brought a long knife that George suspects belongs to Techno.

"Montero!" Dream calls, like they're old friends, and something like jealousy simmers in George's chest. He resists the urge to shove one of them. Most likely Dream.

"Hey, guys," Montero says easily. "Aren't you meant to be on school protection, man?" he adds to Dream, though he doesn't look all that upset.

"It's a long story," George intrudes before Dream can start flirting, and he catches a smirk on Dream's face before he turns back to Montero.

"Did Techno give you that knife?" he asks, gesturing to the glittery sheaf at his hip.

"He let me use it. I don't have any other weapon so..." He shrugs. "He said I can keep it."

George arches an eyebrow. "Do you know how to use it?"

Montero blushes. "Not really. I haven't had the chance to fight anything yet, so I only know the basics."

"Lucky you, I know how to use knives," Dream starts and George actually does shove him this time.

"I do too, idiot," he says. "And I'm the teacher. Give me one of yours."

"Why would I ever - "

George doesn't give him a chance to finish. He places a hand, half-tucked in his hoodie sleeve, on Dream's chest and Dream freezes, breath hitching.

"Dream," George says, reaching for a knife with his other hand while Dream is distracted. His hand brushes Dream's waist before he pulls out the knife, victorious.

Dream looks stupefied and George bursts into laughter. "I win this time, Dream."

And with Dream's gaze still burning into him, he whips the knife toward the target on the other end of the room.

Montero's eyes go wide and Dream seems to stop breathing as the knife hits the target's red middle. It wobbles for a moment before going still, wedged in hilt-deep.

"What the fuck!" Sapnap's voice drifts across the room, loud and accusing. "Since when could you do that, George?"

George just shrugs, hiding his grin. "Professional sharpshooter means I'm good at every weapon."

"No it doesn't," Dream says, snapping out of his daze to counter him. "What the hell, George? Have you been training in secret or something?"

"I'm just good," George says. He turns back to Montero like nothing just happened. "I can teach you how to use knives or a crossbow. You choose."

"Knives," Montero says, still looking astonished. George hides a smirk, ignoring the pride flaring through him at all of their reactions. He's better at fighting than they realize, but it's Bad and Techno who taught him to use knives, in between all the meetings and zombies.

George nods, shrugging off his crossbow. "Dream, you're gonna be my practice dummy."

Dream scoffs. "Why?"

But he goes silent when George sidles closer, eyes raised to meet Dream's. "Because I said so," George says quietly and Dream exhales, his green guys simmering with a new intensity.

He starts with the basics. Stabbing and slashing. Dream obediantly takes the role of his target, standing still and silent as George mimes slashing at him. He never lets the blade touch, but even it can't seem to cut through the tension thick in the air. Everytime he meets Dream's gaze - dark and burning - something stirs in his stomach and he resists the urge to show how flustered he is, or he knows Dream will tease him for it.

"Okay, for a slash to the neck," George explains, inching closer to Dream. He refuses to meet Dream's gaze as he brings the blade close to his neck, his head at Dream's shoulder. Dream's breath is warm against his ear as he leans in to whisper, "That was hot, George."

George's heart is beating at a thousand miles an hour and he almost forgets Montero is there watching him. His hand trembles a little and he pulls away before he can accidentally hurt Dream, trying and failing to glare at him.

Dream just smirks, like he isn't responsible for the heat branding through George. "Well done, George. Nice demonstration."

George mutters a curse under his breath and Dream's eyes widen mockingly at the insult. But George just turns to Montero. "Got it?"

"I think so," Montero confirms, doing his best not to look between the two of them.

"Good." George turns to Dream again. His stomach pools with dread - and a weird feeling of anticipation. "This is the last one."

Dream looks calm, rolling his neck once and squaring his shoulders. Muscles that George didn't know he had ripple. It doesn't help the tension already running through George, the staccato beat of his heart as he pretends to be relaxed. He grips the knife tighter and everything but Dream's green eyes fades into the background.

He lunges forward, aiming the knife at Dream's heart. But his heart drops as Dream pivots out of the way, wrapping strong arms around George's neck and torso, pulling him flush against his chest.

George's breath goes shallow, his skin hot. The knife is still in his hand, but he can barely think of it when his back is tight against Dream, his head by Dream's lips.

Dream's arms are loose enough not to hurt George, but tight enough that he can't escape even as he wriggles.

"How do you get out of this one, George?" Dream says aloud. "Go on, tell us."

George can't think, can't move without realizing each time that another part of him is pressed against Dream. When a certain part of Dream pushes against his back, he holds back a gasp, remembering that Montero is still watching them.

"George," Dream whispers, breath hot against his ear. "Are you stuck?"

George glares ahead, ignoring the way Dream's fingers trace his neck and wrap around his waist. "You get out like this, idiot," he says. And he jams the hilt of his knife behind him. He knows it's connected with something important when Dream grunts and retracts his arms.

Montero stifles a laugh as George emerges victorious. He has to hide his own grin as he turns to face Dream, who's still doubled over in pain.

"You fucking..."

"What, Dream?" George promts when Dream falls silent. "Am I just too good for you?"

"I hate you," Dream mutters, straightening. But his eyes are glowing and there's something George can't place in his voice.

George nods, satisfied, turning back to Montero. "That's all your training for today. Maybe next time we can try a crossbow."

"Thanks, man," Montero says, with a nod. "I'll get Techno to help me practice. Next time, I'll show you if I've improved."

George nods and watches as Montero heads off to join Techno and Quackity across the room. The relief that blooms in him at the singer leaving quickly disappears when he realizes he's alone with Dream.

Dream, who he's just injured. Dream, who's smirking at him like he's about to get his revenge.

(1665 words)

Notes:

Kind of a more lighthearted chapter, because so much has been happening with the others and also because dnf. Comments and constructive criticism are always appreciated and thank you so much for all the support on this story! <3

Chapter 29: Let's Get Out Of Here

Chapter Text

Tw: swearing, weapons, anxiety

"Just to be clear," Karl says as they enter the cafeteria. "This means I'm the main character. This is my training arc."

"Can't really argue with that," Sapnap mutters, holding open the door for Karl. "Wait, does that make me the sensei? You know, the coolest character in the anime?"

Karl scoffs. "You mean after the main character, right? Just checking."

"Can you guys fucking move?" Quackity says, and Sapnap realizes they've been standing in the doorway for the past few minutes. "You're both the most useless characters. I'm the main character."

"What kind of main character has a broomstick as a weapon?" Sapnap asks.

"A useless one," Techno comments, a smirk in his voice. Sapnap and Karl burst out laughing and Quackity flushes.

"If I'm useless it's your fault," he accuses Techno. "You trained me."

Sapnap leads Karl to a spot near the targets. Bad and Skeppy have already started training and, for a reason that Sapnap can't particularly understand, Bad's arms are wrapped around Skeppy, guiding his arms like that's going to help him learn how to shoot.

"That's just not how you do it," Sapnap comments when Skeppy misses his shot. "What are they trying to accomplish?"

Karl elbows him in the ribs. "Have you ever seen a rom-com?"

"No," Sapnap scoffs. "I watch zombie movies, not romance."

Karl lifts his eyes skyward, shutting them like he's praying. "Uncultured." He pauses, placing both hands on Sapnap's shoulders so that they're facing each other. "The second we find a TV somewhere - with internet - we're watching every single rom-com on this fucking planet. And anime."

"Fine, deal," Sapnap finds himself saying. "But right now we have to train."

Karl was already pale when he woke up that morning. He and Sapnap had fallen asleep in moments the night before, but Karl doesn't look like he'd slept much. And Sapnap doesn't miss how he goes even paler, his hands trembling as he cracks his knuckles.

"What are we waiting for?" Karl asks lightly. Almost lightly enough that Sapnap can pretend he's imagined the tired look in his eyes. "Let's train."

He hooks his arm through Sapnap's and drags them both toward one of the targets as he says, "Oh, Senpai, teach me how to shoot."

Sapnap almost chokes on air as he pulls his arm out of Karl's. "Okay, first rule. Never call me that again."

"What, why not?" Karl asks, turning to face him. And for some stupid reason, all Sapnap's thoughts turn to mush when he locks eyes with Karl's green-blue ones. He can't remember what he was going to say, or why he was complaining in the first place. Like he's under some spell.

Until Karl's lips curve into a grin and he sidles closer. Sapnap finds himself rooted to the spot, even as Karl runs a cool hand down his chest and over his shoulders like he's smoothing the creases from his hoodie. Even as Sapnap's heart stutters in his chest and his neck turns hot.

"Are we gonna practice, or...?" Karl says, pinching Sapnap's biceps. Sapnap blinks and the world seems to focus, showing Karl who slaps a hand over his mouth to keep in a giggle.

"You're actually evil," he mutters as Karl bursts into manic laughter. "What is wrong with you?"

"Nothing, dude," Karl says innocently. "But it didn't seem like you weren't gonna use that rifle so I thought I would."

"What?" Sapnap asks, looking down. For the first time, he notices that his shoulders feel light. Too light. Almost like...

His eyes widen as he takes in Karl, leaning against a wall, a rifle in his hands. He traces the trigger, his nails gleaming black, a smirk playing over his lips. "I told you I knew how to steal."

"You said you'd stolen shit before, not that you're a fucking professional thief!"

Karl shrugs modestly. "It's one of my many talents."

Sapnap isn't sure if he should be impressed or pissed off. Karl and his stupid hands had distracted him and he'd let himself fall for it. Not even for the first time.

"What is wrong with you?" he says, but Karl's next smile is contagious and he can't stay mad at him.

Karl holds up the rifle. "How do I hold this thing again?"

"I could have shown you if you hadn't fucking stolen the gun," Sapnap says under his breath, stepping towards him.

But Karl won't let go of the rifle. "It'll be easier if you just show me while I'm holding it," he says, a smile in his voice.

Sapnap stares at him, wondering what trick he's trying to pull this time. But Karl just stares back innocently and Sapnap sighs in defeat. He places careful hands over Karl's, his heartbeat speeding up at the way Karl's fingers slip naturally into his.

At this rate, he'll be too distracted to teach shit.

"Okay, one hand here," he says, picking up Karl's hand to tug it onto the metal. "And the other here."

He lets go and Karl positions himself, holding the rifle up to aim at the target. "Okay, so how do I aim?" Karl asks, glancing sideways at Sapnap, even though he's already holding the rifle properly...

"You backstabber!" Sapnap exclaims, realizing Karl's plan, remembering their conversation about Bad and Skeppy and rom-coms. "I'm not gonna fall for your stupid tricks."

For a backstabber Karl looks extremely pleased with himself. "I don't know what you're talking about, Nick. Honest. Hand on a Bible."

"I taught you how to shoot before," Sapnap counters. "You know how to aim, nimrod."

"Way to take the romance out of everything," Karl mutters, aiming at the target. Sapnap holds his breath as Karl shoots, hitting one of the outer rings.

"See?" Sapnap starts to say until he notices how Karl flinches at the gunshot, how his hands are shaking so much they nearly drop the rifle.

He curses inwardly, moving without realizing it until he's at Karl's side, slipping the rifle from his grip and letting it drop to the floor. He folds Karl's hands into his own, and Karl's eyes fill with tears.

The cafeteria around them fades away, leaving only Karl. "You don't have to do this if you don't want to, Karl. The others can always protect you. I can protect you."

"I do want to," Karl insists, dropping his head against Sapnap's chest. But his lip is trembling. Sapnap has the sudden urge to kiss it, to make him tremble for an entirely different reason. He holds back, only as Karl says, "I wanna protect you, too, remember?"

Warmth and dread pool in Sapnap's chest. "Because you couldn't protect someone else?"

He says the words in a rushed breath, his heart nearly stopping as he reveals his suspicions. But Karl flinches like he's been struck, his hands tightening in Sapnap's.

"How'd you know?" he asks, trying to sound joking even as tears well in his eyes.

Sapnap swallows hard at the sight, his heart clenching. He almost wants to take back everything he'd said and go back to their stupid lighthearted conversation. "I guessed." And he had, based on everything Karl had told him, everything he hadn't. "I wasn't sure I was right."

Karl stays silent for a minute, his throat bobbing as he holds back tears, his fingers clamped around Sapnap's like it's all that's keeping him grounded. "Guess I'm not the only one who can read minds," he says finally, a smile tugging at his lips. Sapnap rolls his eyes and Karl's smile stretches into a grin. "Maybe it's cause we're so in love that we can tell what the other's thinking."

Sapnap's cheeks go hot at the new, teasing sparkle in Karl's eyes. "I don't think that's it," he says then realizes what Karl's trying to do. "Don't change the subject, Karl."

"I'm not," Karl says, his smile slipping a little. "I promise I'll tell you everything, just... sometime when we're not surrounded by every other nimrod in the universe."

He nods to Bad and Skeppy who are arguing about something animatedly a few feet away and Dream who's doubled over for some reason while George and Montero laugh.

Sapnap feels helpless, caught between wanting to know the truth and not wanting to push Karl's boundaries. "What do you wanna do now then?"

Karl gives a cheeky grin that makes Sap's heart speed up and leans down to scoop up the rifle. "Now, we train. And you actually help me this time.'

Sapnap can't say no. Like it's some sort of power Karl has over him. And Karl knows it. Sapnap grumbles agreement as he positions himself behind Karl, keeping a careful distance between them. He wraps his arms around Karl, who leans back into his chest, settling himself comfortably.

Warmth blooms in Sapnap's heart and over his skin. He cups Karl's hands with his own, registering the smile on Karl's face as he looks down at their locked fingers.

For once, a smile lights Sapnap's face too. "Okay, now shoot. I got you."

Karl nods, his silky hair brushing against Sapnap's cheeks and sending a shiver through him. He shifts back, until he's pressed against Sapnap and suddenly Karl's scent overwhelms him, like flowers and spice, and he can't think anymore, can't form any more words.

This time, when Karl shoots, Sapnap stops his flinch by tightening his embrace. And aside from a small gasp, Karl doesn't shake or burst into tears or even miss his shot.

"Are you fucking kidding?" Sapnap says and Karl giggles in his arms. "A bullseye on your second shot?"

"Another one of my many talents."

"I hate you," Sapnap mutters, resting his chin on Karl's shoulder. Karl's scent is even stronger by his neck, taunting him, and Karl doesn't seem to mind Sapnap's nearness. Especially as he tilts his head to the side, exposing the pale skin there like he's inviting Sapnap to have his way.

His scent, his closeness, the tension thick in the air into one constant desire. Maybe one that's been there from the start. He presses his mouth to Karl's neck, letting his lips and tongue travel over it, feeling Karl's hand tangle in his hair to pull him closer.

Sapnap nips at his neck and Karl whimpers softly. But the sound is enough to snap him out of his daze, to realize the blood rushing down and that his hands have somehow landed on Karl's hips.

"You're so... manipulative," Sapnap murmurs, pushing away from Karl. "You bitch."

Karl lets out a giggle that sounds strangled and Sapnap suddenly notices the pink in his cheeks, the look in his eyes. Now that his head is clear of that scent, Sapnap feels his whole body burn. He sends a quick look around to make sure no one is looking.

Then, moving on instinct not logic, he takes Karl's hand and pulls him towards the doors of the cafeteria. "Come on," he growls, his desire mixing with anger and fear and all the other emotions that have been circling through him. "Let's get out of here."

(1854 words)

Chapter 30: Bullseye

Chapter Text

Tw: swearing, weapons

George's mouth goes dry and he almost takes an instinctive step back at the look in Dream's eyes. At the clench of his jaw and the way his fingers are curled into loose fists.

Everything about him looks like a predator and George clearly remembers the last time he saw Dream like this. The kiss that had happened after. Warmth churns in his stomach and he can't look away.

Dream takes a step toward him, slow and intimidating. "Is that any way to treat your boyfriend, George?"

George scoffs, but it sounds hollow. "What are you talking about, idiot? I was just teaching your precious Lil Nas X how to fight. It's not my fault you were in my way."

"That's not what you said before. You called me your 'practice dummy'.

"Same difference."

"Is that all I am to you?" Dream asks, taking another step so that he's towering over him. George has to tip his head back to meet his eyes, his heart in his throat, his hands hidden in his sleeves. "I thought you loved me, George."

"I said I liked you, idiot" George corrects, feeling pink brush over his cheeks. Even with a knife still in his hands, he feels helpless as Dream backs him up against the wall of the cafeteria. His thoughts puddle and blood rushes through him as Dream leans down so that they're face-to-face, his eyes dark and liquid.

"I meant what I said earlier, George," Dream says, his breath warm against George's lips. "About you with a knife..."

That was hot, George.

The words come back to him in a rush of heat and George's breath hitches despite himself. He opens his mouth to say something, anything, but Dream leans closer to him, their lips an inch away from brushing and his mind goes blank.

He smells vanilla and warmth and a million other distracting scents. Dream smirks, brushes their lips together in a ghost of a kiss and - before George can even process what just happened - he pulls away, eyes simmering.

George doesn't know if he wants to lean forward or pull away, but his eyes are locked on Dream's, his skin hot, his lips burning.

Until the tense silence is interrupted by a loud, annoying voice. "Are you guys having a staring contest or something?"

George nearly jumps out of his skin while Dream looks annoyingly unbothered. Quackity's standing there, eyebrows raised so high they're half-hidden by his beanie. He's holding his broomstick in one hand and a knife in the other; carrying it as gingerly as he would a bomb.

"What do you want, idiot?" George asks, trying to regain his composure. Something infinitely more difficult with Dream's eyes still on him. "We're trying to train."

"You call that training?"

"Yes," George replies, even as his cheeks feel warm. "What's your excuse? Knife-throwing too difficult for you?"

Quackity looks offended. "I'll have you know, I can throw knives just as well as you. Better, actually."

"Let's see it," Dream interrupts, raising a brow. He flips a knife out of his belt and hands it to Quackity, who takes a step back.

"A magician never reveals his secrets," he says in a posh accent.

"What does that even mean?" George asks and Quackity mumbles something under his breath. "Why are you even here?"

"Cause we're gonna do a contest," Quackity announces. "Techno wants to see who's the best at throwing knives."

George and Dream exchange a look. "Okay?" George says, just as Dream says, "Should be easy enough."

"Hurry up then," Quackity says, turning his back on them and heading to where Techno is gathering the others.

George goes to follow but a hand on his arm stops him.

"We're not done here, George," Dream says, his voice like a soft growl, sending shivers through George.

"Whatever," George mutters to hide the tremble in his voice. He starts to walk away, but Dream won't let go of his arm. "Let go of me, idiot."

"Let's make a bet," Dream murmurs, sidling closer until he's pressed against George's side. "When I win, I want a prize. Like last time."

George huffs out a laugh, even as he remembers the last prize. "And when I win, I want you to admit I'm better than you at fighting."

"Deal," Dream says easily. "Good luck, George."

He lets go of George's arm. But not before another part of him presses against George's hip, hard as a rock. When it brushes against him, George can't help the gasp that leaves his lips, the way his face feels like it's flaming. His shoots Dream a wide-eyed look, wondering what just happened, if he imagined it. But Dream just walks away, joining Techno and the others by one of the targets.

It takes everything in George to pretend he's not reeling as he joins the others too. He stays quiet, only because he's not sure if he can talk or what will come out if he does.

"Took you guys long enough," Techno says conversationally when everyone's there. "Any idea where Karl and Sapnap went?"

That shake George out of his stupor enough to look around and notice that his friends are missing.

But Bad steps in first. "I'm sure they're fine. Don't worry about them."

George raises an eyebrow and even Techno looks curious. Quackity frowns, grumbling something that George doesn't catch. He wonders if they're thinking the same thing. George can only think of a handful of reasons why Sapnap and Karl would want to be alone, and all of them remind him of his conversation with Dream.

"Alright," Techno says. "I'm guessing Quackity already told you guys what we're doing.

And he explains the rules. Each of them will throw three knives at the target, and whoever gets closest to the center wins.

"Wins what?" Quackity questions and Bad and Skeppy nod in agreement.

"What do you want to win?" Techno asks like the thought hasn't even crossed his mind.

Quackity puts up a hand, pausing the conversation, before him, Bad, and Skeppy bunch up into a huddle filled with whispers.

"Are we just not part of this?" Techno wonders and Montero looks like he wants to agree.

Quackity, Bad, and Skeppy break apart from their huddle, nodding in agreement. Quackity turns back to Techno like the spokesperson for their group.

"We want money," Quackity announces like it's some big important thing.

There's a moment of silence before George breaks it. "What do you mean, money? It's an apocalypse."

Quackity glares, and Bad says, "What's your point?"

"Oh my God, wait," Skeppy says, eyes widening. "What about a concert?"

"What?" Bad asks as everyone turns to him.

"Hear me out," Skeppy says, excitedly. "Whoever wins gets a personal concert from Montero!"

To his credit, Montero looks embarrassed as Bad rolls his eyes. But Dream and Quackity have suddenly perked up.

"That sounds like a good idea," Dream says quickly. "If Montero's okay with it..."

And suddenly, George has never been more determined to win something in his life, if only so that Dream won't win.

Montero agrees grudgingly and everyone gets into a line with Techno randomly picking the order. There's excitement buzzing in the air, but George is more focused than anything. He almost wishes Karl and Sapnap would come back, so that there would be more competition. Right now, George and Bad are pretty much the only ones standing in the way of Dream getting a personal concert from Montero.

Skeppy goes first, swinging his arm widly, his excitement getting the best of him. He misses all of his shots, groaning and burying his head in his hands.

"Oh no," Bad says, but he doesn't sound all that upset. "I'm sure you'll do better next time, Skeppy."

"Why didn't you train me better?" Skeppy whines, shoving a finger at Bad's chest. "I could have gotten a concert from Lil Nas X!"

"I'm right here, you know," Montero says, good-naturedly.

The next one to go is Quackity, and George has to stifle his laughter more than once as his shots go wide. After his last miss, Quackity tosses his broomstick to the ground, stamping on it. "I fucking hate this!"

When Bad steps up to the line, George expects him to get every bullseye. But, to George's shock, Bad throws his knives lazily, still managing the inner rings even without trying. When he's done, he walks back to Skeppy's side, looking pleased with himself.

"As long as Skeppy didn't get it, I'm happy," he mutters to George as he passes. "I'm sure you get it."

George does. More than ever when he steps up to the line, readying his aim. He's overly aware of Dream behind him, overly aware that, if he messes up, Dream's already won.

"Good luck, asshole," Quackity calls from the sidelines.

"Did you just say something nice to me?" George asks, shooting him a smirk. But the smirk fades when Dream says, "No pressure, George," from behind him.

His words come back to him, their nearness, the tension, and George's concentration wavers.

"Dumbass," he mutters and Dream lets out a quiet laugh as George takes his aim again.

His first shot hits the bullseye and he lets out a sigh of relief. Dream fades out of his mind as concentration takes over, his mind narrowing to the target. With his second bullseye, he hears Techno give a low, impressed whistle.

Until Dream's scent wraps around him, and George feels a hand brush his waist. He doesn't give Dream the satisfaction of turning around, even as Dream whispers, "Last shot, George. Don't mess this up."

"Stop cheating," George says, and throws his last knife.

It misses the bullseye, hitting one of the inner rings instead.

"Let's go!" Dream shouts. "You missed, idiot."

"I got two out of three," George says, glaring at him. "Good luck getting that."

Dream smiles. "Thank you," he says, and dread fills George's stomach as he walks away to watch Dream's throws.

Dream takes his time, pushing his hair back from his forehead and George's breath quickens despite himself. Especially when Dream throws his knife, the muscles of his forearms - exposed by his rolled up sleeves - golden and shifting.

George almost forgets to feel disappointed when his knife hits the bullseye.

He catches sight of Montero, his eyes glued to Dream, watching every movement in a kind of impressed trance. Jealousy hardens George's heart and he scoffs quietly.

"What's your problem?" Quackity mutters to him. "You jealous or something?"

"None of your business," George replies, too focused on Dream to formulate a better comeback.

With Dream's second bullseye, George's heart sinks another fraction. He glares hard at Dream, who turns toward him like he can feel it. A smirk plays at his lips and for a moment, George forgets how to breath.

With a last curl of his lips for George's benefit, Dream launches his last knife.

The blade sinks hilt-deep into the bullseye.

(1836 words)

Chapter 31: Loverboy

Notes:

HELP I'm so nervous for this chapter...

Spoiler alert, I've never written smut before, so this is probably going to be terrible. It's also not super explicit because I'm not that comfortable writing explicit scenes, so sorry in advance. Any comments or feedback would be appreciated, there will be more smut in the story later so it would be helpful.

Hope u guys enjoy <3

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: swearing, injury, SMUT

They barely make it to a classroom.

Sapnap slams open the door, dragging Karl after him and shutting them in. His entire body feels too hot, his clothes too tight, and he doesn't waste any time pulling Karl toward him.

The kiss is hot and desperate with none of the gentleness from the classroom or the roof. Sapnap feels his thoughts evaporate, his instincts leave him. All that matters is Karl, the softness of his lips, the way his hands run up and down Sapnap's chest, that intoxicating scent that seeps into Sapnap's mind until his heart is pounding.

Karl moans when Sapnap moves from his mouth to kiss his jaw, and the sound sends heat rippling through Sapnap.

He growls and recaptures Karl's lips, claiming him with every hard kiss, groaning at the noises that Karl makes. His heart jumps when Karl's hands slide up under his hoodie and over his bare chest, cool and roaming.

He breaks theirs kiss to growl, "Off," to Karl, who reaches for the buttons of his collared shirt. His hands are trembling so much, that Sapnap takes over, nearly ripping the shirt in the process. Karl shrugs it off his shoulders, his pale skin rosy with Sapnap's kisses.

The sight is almost enough to unwind Sapnap completely, a flurry of images entering his mind. But he holds back, slowing down his kisses, pressing them hard and deliberate against Karl's neck and shoulders, lowering to his chest and gripping his hips hard enough to bruise.

Karl's soft moans urge him on, until Sapnap's blood is roaring, his desire like fire running through his veins.

He wants to claim Karl for himself, to have him spewing out noises loud enough for the whole school to hear. The thought consumes him whole as Karl tugs harsh hands through his hair, eyes fluttering open. Eyes that are bright and feverish, his cheeks flushed, his lips swollen.

He holds his gaze, Sapnap freezing under it. Karl traces cool hands from his shoulders down his sides, until they linger at the button of his jeans.

"Karl," Sapnap breathes, not sure if he wants to stop him or let him continue. That sense of dominance still urges him on, wants him to flip the scenario so that it's him pleasuring Karl. But Karl just smirks, his hands unfastening the button then pulling down the zipper.

He puts a hand on Sapnap's chest when he tries to stop him, his other hand drifting lower. Sapnap grits his teeth, holding back a curse as Karl's hand hovers over a very important part of him. For a moment, he thinks he might break just from the tension.

He leans forward to capture Karl's lips, just as Karl's hand lands on that part of him that's hard as rock. And Sapnap has to deepen the kiss to keep in any noises, to stay in control as Karl's hand moves over the length, through the thin material of his boxers, grazing it with his fingertips teasingly.

"I hate you," Sapnap murmurs against his lips, using his hands to press Karl closer to him. Using his tongue to elicit a half-moan, half-giggle from Karl, who squeezes the hand at his boxers into a fist. And even with the thin material between them, Sapnap has to bite back a gasp as Karl pumps his hand harder over the length.

Sapnap's vision blurs, his thoughts and words crumbling to ash and he kisses down Karl's neck, hoping desperately he won't break so soon. Not when Karl hasn't yet, not when there are still so many clothes between them.

He bites at the skin between Karl's neck and collarbones, drawing a gasp from him that sends Sapnap closer to the edge.

"Fuck," he growls, just as Karl strokes his length one last time, squeezing it slightly.

Starts burst in Sapnap's vision and he kisses Karl to keep himself grounded, present as he climaxes, Karl's name on his lips. Karl's hand is still stroking gently up and down the softening member and Sapnap feels some of the heat drain from his blood as his movement slows. He presses a last kiss to Karl's lips, one to his temple, some of his energy robbed by the climax.

Karl finally releases him, his swollen lips playing in a smirk, his breathing shallow and trembling as he stares at Sapnap like he's memorizing the details of his expression.

Sapnap leans in to kiss him again, but Karl steps just out of reach. That smirk stays on his lips as he picks his shirt up off the ground, taking his time to button it back up until every inch of pale skin is concealed. New lust and regret fill Sapnap at the sight.

"What about you?" Sapnap asks, his voice raw, his hands still trembling. His mind is rushing to process what just happened, trying to figure out how they even got here.

"Next time," Karl says, shooting him a grin. "If you're up for it."

And, like he did right after their first kiss, Karl leaves like nothing happened. Leaving Sapnap to think about what just happened, his mind still spinning, his body still humming with unused energy. Unfinished, as Karl left it.

It's only then that he realizes something. How manipulative Karl really is. Because even though Sapnap had promised himself to get out from under Karl's thumb, it was Sapnap who had finished and Karl who had taken the upperhand. Again.

It takes Sapnap too long to leave the classroom. He steps are wobbling when he finally closes the door behind him, and there's a million things distracting him. His mind keeps flashing back to Karl's smirk, to his bare chest, to the way his hand moved over him. To the lust in his eyes, and the bulge in his pants Sapnap could swear he'd seen before he left. The proof that he wasn't fine with leaving it there.

The thought of it is almost enough for Sapnap to harden again, and he tries to distract himself, to think of anything else.

As he walks through the halls aimlessly, his arm brushes against a wall and pain stabs at it. He can't help the gasp that leaves him, the way he has to lean against the wall to stop the dizziness that erupts behind his eyes. And suddenly, he's a lot more distracted than he wanted to be.

Because he'd been a second away from taking off his hoodie to let Karl's hands explore. A second away from exposing the bandages around his forearm.

He curses inwardly and some of the desire in him ebbs away, giving way to worry. If he gets that distracted again by Karl and his stupid hands, he might expose himself. He still doesn't want to tell Karl, can't imagine telling him. But he can't avoid Karl after what just happened either.

Karl's words come back to him, and he realizes that he might not have to reveal his injury. Next time, it'll be about Karl, not him.

New images enter his mind. His skin flashes hot than cold, as he pictures Karl, bent over against one of the desks in the classroom, his hand interlocked with Sapnap's, a moan on his lips...

"Sapnap!"

Sapnap flinches, whipping around to the voice. His whole body feels like it's burning and he hopes he doesn't look as guilty as he feels. Especially when he sees who it is.

Bad's outside of the cafeteria doors, and Sapnap realizes he's somehow ended up back at the cafeteria.

"Hurry up!" Bad says. "You can still compete!"

Compete?

Sapnap shakes his head, pushing away his other thoughts. "What?"

"Just... come on!"

Sapnap follows him reluctantly, overly aware of the discomfort in his pants, the guilt that feels permanently written across his face. He takes a deep breath as he reaches the cafeteria doors, forcing his heartbeat to slow down. When he feels like he's finally got a handle on his emotions, he yanks open the door and walks through.

He almost chokes on air as his walls crumble again.

Karl is standing right in his line or vision, looking complete unruffled as he talks to George and Skeppy.

Karl catches his eye the second he enters the room, and a smirk blooms on his face making his eyes sparkle. He makes a show of biting his lip, like he's concentrating on whatever George is telling him, and Sapnap's heart plunges in his chest, his brain narrowing in on the pink of his lips.

"Finally," a voice says and Dream appears at his side. Sapnap looks away from Karl immediately, but Dream has already follow his gaze, a frown forming on his features.

He catches sight of Karl and a smile tugs at his lips. "I guess you had a reason to disappear, to be fair."

"I don't know what you mean," Sapnap mutters, turning away from Karl and his stupid distracting lips and the sliver of skin showing at his collar. Banishing the images of Karl moaning and his hands on Sapnap.

"Bad said I have to compete," Sapnap says instead, his voice managing to not waver. "What the fuck is he talking about?"

Dream still has a teasing glint in his eyes, but he gestures to a target at the end of the cafeteria. "That. Techno set up a mini-tournament to see who's better at knife-throwing. I'm winning, as it stands."

Slowly, Karl fades out of his mind, and a new desire - the desire to win - takes over. "Is that a challenge?"

Dream grins. "As long as you're not too distracted, lover boy."

Sapnap can feel Karl's stare on his back, sending tingles through him to match the way his cheeks burn at Dream's words. But there's a new fire in his blood, urging him to win.

He grins back at Dream. "Let's see who's still talking when I win."

(1653 words)

Notes:

Let me know what you guys thought! <3

Chapter 32: A Bet

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: swearing, weapons, zombies, blood

"We're making a bet," Sapnap declares, and Dream wonders why he challenged him to compete in the first place. Why he didn't just take his win, when he'd been so close to winning a prize from George.

"Ooh, a bet you say," Quackity says in a terrible British accent, sidling up to them. "And for what might this be?"

Dream cuts them both a glare, which they ignore, as he feels his heart plummet in his chest. "What do you want, idiot?"

"Shut up." Sapnap puts up a hand. "Let the winner think."

Dream rolls his eyes, but his pulse jumps when George joins them, sidling up to stand next to Dream. Their arms brush and Dream feels his skin go warm. George just smirks up at him, his eyes dark and mischievous.

"I have an idea," George announces, his eyes locked on Dream's. "Whoever wins gets to go on a date with me."

Dream chokes, doubling over coughing while George bursts out laughing. When Dream recovers enough to stand up, his eyes watering, he finds Quackity giving George an affronted look.

"How is that a prize, dumbass?"

"Because it's me, idiot."

Dream doesn't know if he should be worried or exasperated. "That doesn't make any sense, George. Why would Sapnap ever..."

But he trails off as he notices that Sapnap's eyes have gone wide. "Are you serious?"

George nods and Sapnap lets out an excited whoop, turning to Dream. "You're going down, bitch. I'm gonna win a date with your boyfriend."

"Why would you want that?" Dream demands, his heartbeat hammering in his chest as panic starts to settle in. "What about Karl?"

Sapnap looks solemn. "This is more important than you'd know, Dream. SNF is real, baby."

"Let's go!" George whoops, rushing over to hug Sapnap.

Quackity and Dream share a concerned look over the other two, Dream's pulse pounding, just as Karl appears next to them. "What's going on, guys? What are those nimrods doing?"

"You're not gonna want to hear this, pal," Quackity starts, turning to him. "But your boyfriend's being an asshole. So is Dream's."

"I heard that," Sapnap calls, untangling himself from George. "And I'm still gonna win this challenge. For SNF."

"Like, football?" Karl wonders aloud, but Sapnap ignores him, turning to George.

"Deal," he says, and he and George shake hands. "Dream?"

All eyes turn to him, and Dream feels suddenly helpless. "If I don't agree, does Sapnap automatically get a date with you?"

George nods solemnly. "The deal's the deal."

"Then, fine," Dream says, stepping forward to shake both their hands. "Not like I have a choice."

Karl nods vigorously, reaching to massage Dream's shoulders like a boxing coach. "Well said, Dream, well said. You got this."

Sapnap looks like he wants to argue, but he seems to stop himself, shrugging. "Don't worry, George, I'll save you from a date with Dream."

Karl snorts, Dream glowers, and they meet each other's gaze, forming a silent alliance against Sapnap.

"Okay, here are the rules..." Quackity starts, and Dream's focus narrows to Quackity's words, his mind racing to come up with some sort of plan. He can't let Sapnap win, not if him and Karl have anything to say about it.

"Dream's already gone, so Sapnap gets three shots and whoever wins, gets a date with George," Quackity finishes, still looking skeptical at the idea. "Sapnap, go."

And just like that, Sapnap's stepping up to the line, a knife in hand, while the others huddle on the sidelines to watch. George trails behind him, offering his advice and cheering him on, and Dream can't help the jealousy branding through him, the heat rushing through his blood.

"Don't worry," Karl murmurs at his side. "Me and Quackity have a plan. He's not gonna win this."

Dream nods tightly, his fingers drumming over the handle of his knife, wondering why he'd agreed to this stupid deal.

George, meanwhile, can't keep the smirk off his face as he saunters over to him. "Oh, Dreeam," he taunts. "Still think you can win?"

Dream scoffs, avoiding his gaze. "Why wouldn't I? I literally hit the target every time, he'd have to do that first, and even then - "

"Shut up, idiot," George interrupts, reaching over to pinch his arm. "Sapnap's going."

Dream's pulse skyrockets as George's hand brushes over arm, his smirk widening. But Dream just grumbles and turns away to watch Sapnap's first go.

"Let's go, Sapnap!" Bad calls from the sidelines as Sapnap readies his aim. Dream cuts him a death glare over George's head, and Bad falls quiet.

Another voice rings over the silence. "I believe in you, Sapnap."

Sapnap stiffens at Karl's voice, his aim wavering. George raises a brow, and Dream feels hope bloom in him. If Karl can be enough of a distraction, than maybe Sapnap won't hit all of his shots.

His hope shrivels as Sapnap throws his first knife and hits the bullseye.

"Let's go!" George yells, grinning wildly. "Come on, Sapnap, you can win!"

Dream grabs George's hand to keep him from cheering, intertwining their fingers. "Shut up, idiot," he says, echoing George's words.

But George just grins cheekily and squeezes his hand. "Are you scared, Dream?"

"Of course not," Dream mutters, ignoring George's eyes on him. "I don't get scared, idiot."

Sapnap's second throw hits the bullseye, too, and Dream's hope plummets. George runs over to Sapnap to throw his arms around him and Dream rolls his eyes, turning away.

He finds Karl standing next to him, a knowing looking in his blue-gray eyes. "He's winning," Dream accuses, as Quackity joins them. "I thought you guys had a plan."

"We do have a plan," Quackity says, and Karl just gives him a wink.

"Leave it to me," he says, and parades over to where Sapnap is shrugging George's hands off his shoulders.

"Sapnap!" Karl calls, loud enough for Dream to hear and close enough for him to see Sapnap flinch back. "Good job, man, one more to go!"

Karl sticks his arms out for a hug and Sapnap backs away, cheeks going red. "You're distracting me, nimrod. Get away from me, I have a tournament to win."

Karl shrugs, throwing an arm around his shoulders with a conspiratorial grin. Sapnap winces and Dream frowns instinctively, wondering if Sapnap is really just that flustered around Karl.

"Suit yourself," Karl says. "But take my advice."

He leans into Sapnap, cupping a hand over his ear as he whispers something. Sapnap's cheeks flush darker and he steps out from under Karl's arm, shooting him a glare. Karl just giggles and saunters back to Dream and Quackity.

He salutes at Dream. "Mission success, captain."

Dream can't help the grin that spreads over his face, mirroring Quackity's. "I owe you one."

"Last go, Sapnap!" Quackity calls, his voice taunting. "Hurry the fuck up, dumbass."

Sapnap rolls his eyes and squares his shoulders. His eyes narrow as he repositions his aim, and Dream's heartbeat speeds up again.

When George joins them to watch the last throw, Dream grabs his hand, keeping him glued at his side. Keeping him close to ward off his worries.

Sapnap throws his last knife and it hits one of the outer rings. The cafeteria goes silent for a moment.

"What was that?" George explodes, just as Dream yells, "Let's go!" And Karl lets out a whoop and says, "Solid, dude. Great shot."

"You were supposed to win!" George accuses as Sapnap walks back over to them, looking sheepish. "I literally bet on you winning!"

"Sorry, bro," Sapnap says, shrugging, avoiding Karl's gaze and looking between Dream and George. "Dream's just better, I guess."

George looks ready to burst into argument but Karl cuts in before he can. "Bummer, dude. You tried."

Bad and Skeppy come over to congratulate Sapnap, and Dream tugs on George's hand, a smile spreading over his face. "Does this mean I get another date with you, George? To add to our other dates?"

George huffs out a flustered laugh, going pink. "Not now, dumbass."

Dream arches an eyebrow. "Why not?" he asks, taunting, but George never gets to reply. A shriek sounds from the cafeteria doors, and Dream and George both whip around. Dream's arms go around instinctively around George, who grips his arms tightly.

"It's a Z!" Karl calls, voice shaky, pointing at the doors. He stumbles into Sapnap's arms, who grabs him as tightly as Dream is holding George.

Was holding George.

Panic burns through him as he catches sight of George moving toward the doors. "George!"

"Don't worry, I got him," Bad says, moving past Dream. But before he can get there, a zombie bursts through the door, bloodstained and growling, lurching toward Skeppy and Quackity and Montero. "Muffins," Bad yells, but George is already there, stabbing his knife into the zombie's head.

Techno shuts and locks the cafeteria doors before anything else can get in, his expression grim. Bad runs over to tackle Skeppy in a hug, and it wakes Dream out of his trance.

"You idiot!" he yells, voice dangerously close to breaking. George whirls around to face him, his face splattered with blood from the fallen danger. He looks crestfallen when he meets Dream's worried, burning gaze. "You can't just rush into danger like that!"

"I'm fine, Dream," George reassures him as Dream wipes away a smear of blood on George's cheekbone with thumb. "I'm fine."

He folds into Dream's hug, and Dream rests his chin on his head, inhaling his familiar scent and taking a deep breath to clear his worry. George traces a single finger over his chest in small, abstract patterns and Dream isn't sure if it's comforting or if it makes him feel more restless.

Until he meets Techno's eyes over George's head. Techno, who's expression is stonier than usual.

Dream lets go of George to take his hand as Techno walks over to them, something like concern gleaming in his eyes. "We have a problem," he mutters and George's eyes flash toward Dream as they share a worried glance.

"What's going on?" Dream asks, his voice low, his throat burning with worry. "How'd that thing get in here?"

Techno sighs, his posture stiff, a long-fingered hand on his knife. "We found out this morning but I thought Montero had taken care of it."

"Of what?" George asks, jaw set.

Techno meets both of their eyes in turn, lowering his voice so that the others don't hear and panic. "There's a breach in our security," Techno says. "Zombies are invading."

(1756 words)

Notes:

Okay so this chapter's kinda bad, I'm sorry!! Also I might have to change my posting schedule kind of cause I've been super busy with school and work, so if I don't post as regularly that's probably why. I'll still try to post on the same days though unless I really don't have the time.

Hope you enjoyed <3

Chapter 33: Captain Levi

Chapter Text

Tw: swearing

With all the blood rushing in his ears, Dream can't tell if he's heard Techno correctly.

"Zombies?" George exclaims for him, and when Dream looks over at him, he's gone pale. But it's his eyes that chill Dream; they're dark with determination.

Techno just nods at both of them. "They've been crowding around the school for a while now, but our barriers have been keeping them out. Until now."

"Then we have to do something," Dream snaps, barely aware of what he's saying. His mind is buzzing with worry and with dread, his blood going cold. "How are they getting in?"

"The front doors," Techno informs him. "I've checked some of the other exits and they're holding up for now."

"We have to stop them," George says, hefting his crossbow over his shoulder. "Like, now."

"Wait, idiot," Dream says on instinct, grabbing his arm before he can throw himself into danger. "We can't just jump into battle without telling the others. Everyone has to know."

"Know what?" Bad asks, coming to join them. His eyes are just as worried as Dream feels, and Skeppy's clinging to his side, trembling slightly. "About the zombies?"

Something about the way he said it has Dream whirling to face him. "Bad, you knew?"

"It's not like that, Dream. There was nothing to tell you, except that zombies were crowding around the school. But we thought the barriers would hold them so we weren't even worried about it."

"But you knew?" Dream asks, wondering why they'd left him in the dark.

"Look, this doesn't matter right now," George intervenes, placing a hand on Dream's arm. The pressure and the warmth make some of Dream's frustration dissipate, make him feel more grounded. "We're going to have to fight, and that's what matters."

"What the fuck is going on?" Quackity says, breaking into the already tense conversation. Sapnap, Karl, and Montero are at his heels; Karl is pale and trembling, Sapnap looks stormy, and Montero's wearing a delicate frown. "Where the fuck did that zombie come from? What happened to our security?"

Everyone turns, instinctively, to look at Montero. Montero, who turns a shade darker, a hand on his knife. "I wish I knew. I thought our security was fine..."

"Leave the man alone, it's not his fault," Techno cuts in, raising his hands in a gesture of innocence. "Blame me if you need to blame someone, but just not right now. Like Dream and George said, we need to fight them off first, before we start fighting each other."

"Then we need a plan," Bad says and a murmur agreement goes around.

Sapnap scoffs. "Our plan is to attack. That's it. Before they attack us."

Even Karl looks skeptical at that, and Dream finds himself arguing against his friend. "It's too risky to just charge. Bad's right, we need to plan ahead."

Techno raises a brow. "Then what's the plan, Dream?"

The cafeteria goes quiet and Dream splutters. "You want me to come up with a plan?"

"You're the leader, Dream," George says, stepping up to his side, the hand on his arm steady. His eyes are trusting and part of Dream wants to melt into them, to take on the role of the hero George thinks he is. But another part of him knows he can't lie to him, to any of his friends.

"I'm not the leader," Dream says, shaking off George's hand, ignoring the twinge of guilt in his gut. "If anything, Techno would be a way better leader."

George blows out a frustrated sigh beside him. "Just come up with a plan, idiot. We don't have time for this."

"This isn't a movie," Karl says, his lips tugging up into a small smile. "Just skip the sappy character development bit and get to the inspirational speech."

"Or I'll do it for you," Sapnap mutters, his arm tightening around Karl.

The room falls silent again and Dream feels like he's choking, like his mind is going blank as he takes in everyone staring at him expectantly. As he catches George's trusting eyes, the ones that say he would follow him to the ends of the earth.

Until George slips his hand through his, warm and reassuring. His other hand pinches Dream's side. "Hurry up, idiot," he says under his breath, and some of Dream's worry loosens.

"Okay," Dream exhales, his mind calculating as he sweeps a look around the room at each of his friends. "According to Techno, the zombies are coming in from the front doors of the school. That means all we have to do is fight our way to the doors so we can replace the barriers. I know not everyone here knows how to use a weapon, so we're gonna have to stick to a formation."

Dream gives them each another look, this one analyzing. "We'll form a huddle so that we can cover all sides. Skeppy, Karl, and Montero, no offense, but..."

"We don't know what we're doing," Karl finishes for him, and Skeppy and Montero nod in agreement.

"You guys will stay in the middle, with the rest of us surrounding you. We should be able to fight off most of the zombies, but in the odd case we don't, you'll all have guns. That's how we get to the doors. Make sure you try and kill off any zombie you see so we don't get any more surprise attacks. Got it?"

"Yeah, let's go!" Karl whoops, clapping, and the others cheer.

"You're almost as cool as Captain Levi," Sapnap mutters, clapping along with everyone else. "Almost."

"Okay, we can do this." Dream's heart is pounding, his skin tingling with anticipation. "Everyone, grab a weapon."

As the rest of them disperse, Dream catches George by the sleeve of his hoodie. "Wait. George."

George turns, eyebrows raised, eyes shining. "What do you want?" he asks in the most deadpan voice possible.

It's like the air's been punched out of his gut, and Dream suddenly doesn't know what to say, how to express his feelings. His words tumble out. "Don't die, or I'll kill you."

George rolls his eyes. "What does that even mean, idiot?" he asks, but his voice is softer as he takes in the worry on Dream's face, the way his hand tangles in the hoodie sleeve. "Stop worrying so much, Dream. You know I'll be fine. I can't die before we go on our ten dates."

Dream snorts. "It's more than that."

"Fine," George says, stepping closer, making Dream's breath catch. "We can go on as many dates as you want once the apocalypse is over."

And George stretches up to press a kiss to Dream's lips, soft and sweet, sending Dream's thoughts tumbling.

Dream catches onto George, pulling him closer, cupping his hands over his cheeks. Holding back a groan as George melts into him, his small hands grabbing onto Dream's arms, their bodies pressed together.

When they pull apart, Dream's thoughts are rushing to catch up to his beating heart. He finds himself replaying every moment with George, every kiss and promise, the deal they'd made before the tournament earlier. George winds his arms around Dream's neck, staring up at him and Dream's hands land on George's hips to pull him closer.

"We're not done here," Dream says, his voice hoarse. "When this fight's over, you still owe me a prize."

George's eyes are soft for once as he leans into Dream's chest, pressing his cheek against the muscle. "We'll make it out. It's just one fight."

Dream nods, trying to shake the worry needling at him, the weird feeling that it's not just one fight. "We'll make it out," he echoes as he lets go of George.

They join their friends at the doors. Karl, Skeppy, and Montero are holding their guns awkwardly, looking pale and worried. Techno twirls his knives between his fingers, Bad is holding his rifle in his hands and has a tomahawk strapped to his belt, and Quackity is clutching his broomstick and wearing a determined look.

"Guys!" A voice breaks the silence. "Look what I found."

Sapnap comes running at them, a blade in his hand. His rifle is still strapped to his back, but it's the weapon in his hands that he's waving around. "I found an axe!"

The others crowd around him, as he shows off the new weapon. Techno smirks, towering above them.

"Glad you like it," he says. "I found it in the basement the other day."

Sapnap looks at him with shining respect. "Thanks, man."

"Um, guys," Skeppy says, pointing a shaky hand at the doors. "I hate to break this up, but..."

The doors tremble and clang and Karl and Skeppy jump away from them. Dream reaches instinctively for George's hand as they watch the doors shake under the force of a bunch of zombies. The night of the attack on their camp in the woods comes back to him, the way they'd all fought together and survived.

The way he and George had had each other's backs.

The doors shake again and the group huddles together, determined and scared. Techno puts a hand on the door's latch, ready to let it swing open, watching for Dream's order.

Dream squeezes George's hand once, tightly. "Stay together."

"Always," George answers readily, shooting him a level look as Techno unlocks the cafeteria doors.

(1560 words)

Chapter 34: Stay Together

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: swearing, zombies, weapons, blood, injury

The doors slam open and half a dozen zombies pour in.

"I'll control them," Techno calls, pushing against the doors to steady the flow. "You guys kill them as they come."

Dream spares one last glance at George, who gives him a ready nod. Then, side by side, they launch into battle.

The first zombies fall easily. Dream slices his knife through them, George fires arrow after arrow from behind. Sapnap whirls his axe through the group, slamming down any of the zombies that are still standing. The world fades, Dream's mind stops spinning, and all that's left is adrenaline and instinct.

The others huddle in a group, watching each other's backs as Techno strains against the cafeteria doors.

"I can't hold them much longer," he warns through the fray as growls and groans rip through the air.

"Let them come," Sapnap yells, and the doors burst open, bringing a tide of zombies toward them.

There's a scream - Dream thinks it's Karl - as a flood of zombies surrounds them, lurching and retching. Blood sprays over Dream's hoodie as he cuts through two of them, searching the red-stained room for Karl. But Sapnap's already there, jumping in front of him and Montero to protect them. They form a group with Bad and Skeppy and Quackity, steadily fighting their way to the door.

"Dream!" Sapnap yells. "Get over here!"

"Wait!" Dream returns, his voice hoarse, as he narrowly misses a zombie's hand grabbing for him. His eyes scan the room, searching desperately for George. George who was right behind him a second ago, who's disappeared between the zombies...

An arrow spears a zombie in the eye and relief floods through Dream, making his legs go weak.

"You almost left me, idiot!" George accuses, pushing through the zombies. Dream grabs his hand tightly, interlocking their fingers, and George holds on just as firmly.

"I'll never leave you," Dream says, wiping blood from George's cheeks. "I swear."

George makes a face, tightening his hold until Dream's hand feels numb with it, though he barely notices. "That's cringe, idiot. Make better speeches."

Dream scoffs and George laughs and the world feels like normal again.

Until a growl sounds right by Dream's ear.

"Dream!" George shouts and he yanks him out of the way as the zombie that was behind Dream topples over with an axe in its skull.

"Be more fucking careful!" Sapnap shouts over the chaos. He grabs his axe, ripping it out of the zombie's head as he appears in front of both of them. "And group with us."

Dream has never been more thankful for his friends as the three of them cut their way back toward the group, where Techno and Bad are keeping off most of the zombies.

"Stay together!" Sapnap calls out, and Dream's happy to let him take the lead, to focus only on clearing a path in front of him and keeping George at his side. They stay close enough to touch, and every brush of George's arm against his reminds Dream that they're still fighting.

They wade through the doors, taking down zombies in every direction. The hallway is swarming with them, but Dream barely notices. He just keeps swinging his blade, feeling blood splatter over him and adrenaline rush through his blood. Next to him, George and Sapnap do the same, keeping the others in the group safe.

The school's front doors come into view and Karl shouts, "We're almost there!"

Dream feels hope pull at his gut, just as another cold feeling hits him. Like a premonition, like what he'd felt before when he'd been talking to George.

There's a shriek to his right.

"Dream!" George screams as a zombie grabs hold of his hoodie and yanks him back. Away from the group, away from Dream.

Heart pounding in his ears and blood rushing through him, Dream breaks formation in that moment, sprinting toward George and the zombie holding him.

"Dream!" someone - Sapnap, he's pretty sure - hollers. But Dream's beyond hearing, beyond anything as he grabs the zombie holding George and shoves his knife into its eye. George gasps as he nearly falls to the ground, but Dream catches him before he can, pulling him tight to his chest.

"You idiot!" Dream gasps, tears stinging his throat. "You nearly died!"

George is shaking in his arms, his eyes closed as he presses closer to Dream. And Dream forgets about the rest of the group as he pulls him closer, letting himself breath George's the warm, spiced scent. It dulls the lump in his throat, soothes the tears forming at the corners of his eyes. And when George places a hand on his heart, he feels his pulse steady.

"The others," George murmurs, pushing away from Dream to glance around. The hallway is littered with bodies, but mostly clear. Except for up ahead, where a group of zombies swarms toward where Dream thinks their friends must be.

"We have to help them," George says, and Dream feels his heart jump. A selfish part of him almost wants to tell George to stay put, to watch the fight from the sidelines where it's safe. But he knows it won't matter what he says, not when their friends are in danger.

"Come on," he says instead, taking George's hand. Together, they sprint through the hallway to catch up to the others.

Sapnap's POV

"Stay in formation!" Sapnap hollers at the others as Dream breaks off to save George. "We can't break now!"

Bad and Techno just nod grimly, herding the others down the hall. And even though they're all probably feeling the same thing as Sapnap, they don't scatter. Even as the zombies swarm them.

Sapnap forces himself to continue, to keep slashing through each zombie. A scream bursts from him as he goes, the sound of pure frustration. He's more terrified for his friends then the rest of them combined but he can't show it. Even though they're like family to him, he forces himself to stay grounded.

Instead, he fights with more of a vengeance than before, praying that Dream and George aren't dumbasses and can stay alive.

It feels like the torrent of zombies will never end, even as they move closer and closer to the doors. Even as more and more zombies fall.

"Sapnap!" Karl calls, and Sapnap whirls around, cutting through another zombie. Karl motions frantically at somewhere behind them and Sapnap feels his the weight on his chest lighten as he catches sight of Dream and George, alive and pushing their way through zombies.

He locks eyes with Dream, and something like a deep understanding passes through them. Dream gives him a half-smile, and George looks as relieved as Sapnap feels that everyone is alright.

"Guys!" Sapnap starts to call, but a shard of pain hits his arm, forcing him to double over.

"Nick!" A terrified voice calls over the chaos, but Sapnap's head feels light, his arm tingling with pain. And he suddenly remembers the scratch, the zombies, the fact that he could die or turn into a monster at any moment.

New dizziness passes through him, black stars peppering his vision.

"Get him out of here!" another voice says, and Sapnap feels hands lift him up. The sounds of battle fade away, and all he can hear is a soft voice murmuring in his ear, "It's gonna be okay, Nick."

The voice sounds close to tears, and Sapnap doesn't know what to say to comfort it.

"The roof!" the same voice says, talking to someone else. "We'll meet you guys there!"

The last thing Sapnap feels, are hands dragging him up a stairwell, before everything goes dark.

Bad's POV

"Fuck!" Skeppy calls over the sounds of battle. "This is really bad!"

Techno throws his weight over the door leading to the stairwell, locking it so that no zombies can follow Sapnap, Karl, and Quackity up to the roof. "We're still alive, aren't we?"

"But we're split up!" Skeppy argues, a note of hysteria in his voice. "Our formation's gone!"

"Calm down, Skeppy!" Bad says, shaking himself out of his daze. "We'll be fine! Karl and Quackity will take care of Sapnap. We just have to focus on clearing this floor so that it's safe for them when they get back."

"What about Dream and George?" Montero asks, voice worried, gesturing to the other two who are still behind the group, fighting their way through stray zombies.

Techno's face is grim. "We need to split up."

Even through his confusion, Bad whirls on him. "That's a terrible idea."

But Techno shakes his head. "It'll be easier to fight stragglers than a whole group. If we can split the zombies up, then eventually we can take them all down."

"What about the doors?" Bad asks, gesturing to the still broken barriers. "They'll just keep getting in if we don't fix them."

"Not if we block the hallway," Techno answers, motioning to classrooms around them. "Find as much furniture as you can," he adds to Skeppy and Montero. "Me and Bad will fight off the zombies. We'll block the hallway and focus on the zombies already in the school."

They don't have much of a choice, Bad realizes, as Skeppy locks eyes with him. His boyfriend gives him a determined nod as he and Montero move toward the classrooms to gather the furniture.

Bad catches sight of Dream and George, the swarm of zombies around them growing bigger. "We need to help them."

"We can't," Techno says grimly as the zombies back them up against the hallway wall. "Not if we all want to survive."

(1605 words)

Notes:

Guys, please don't hate me for another cliffhanger...

Hope you enjoyed <3

Chapter 35: Don't Panic

Chapter Text

Some needed angst.. (I promise the next chapters won't all be like this)

------------------------------------------------------------

Tw: angst, zombies, blood, weapons, anxiety

"Fuck!" Karl gasps through the tears blurring his vision. "Stay with me, Nick!"

"With us," Quackity adds through gritted teeth, straining to hold Sapnap up. "Or the others will kill you."

Karl's arms and legs are shaking with the effort of dragging Sapnap up the stairwell. Sapnap, who's covered in blood and unconscious, his eyes fluttering weakly like he's dreaming. Karl lets out a shuddering breath as they stumble up another step. Then, they're at the top of the stairwell and the door to the roof is in front of them.

"I got him," Quackity promises and Karl ducks out from under Sapnap's leaden arm to yank open the door. Sunlight streams over them, making the blood splattered over Karl's hands gleam.

He turns back around to help Q carry Sapnap the rest of the way, and his heart stutters to an almost-stop.

In the sunlight, with the light washing over all of them, Karl can finally see the extent of Sapnap's injuries. His white hoodie is soaked with blood, his skin peppered with cuts and bruises. One of his eyes is blackened and swollen shut. He lets out a quiet groan of pain, and Karl brings his hands to his mouth, clamping them into tight fists. Even the pain of his nails digging into his palms isn't enough to stop the tears flooding to his eyes.

"Karl, you're fine," Quackity says, and Karl knows he's trying to keep the panic from his voice. "Don't panic."

But Karl's heart is hammering so hard in his chest that his vision starts to darken around the edges and he falls to his knees on the stone roof.

Quackity's POV

Quackity practically drops Sapnap in his rush to get to Karl, and he can't even bring himself to care. Not when Karl is panicking in front of him, hysterical sobs escaping from behind his cupped hands.

"No, no, no, no, no, Karl!" Quackity drops to his knees so that he's at Karl's level and Karl collapses into his arms, sobbing into his shoulder. "It's gonna be okay."

"Nick's dying," Karl hiccups, his entire body shaking. "What are we gonna do?"

"It's gonna be okay, we'll find a way to help him," Quackity says. He holds Karl tighter, feeling his own heart galloping in his chest. He doesn't know if he's more worried about Karl or Sapnap or George and the others, but he sure as hell will do anything to stop Karl from crying. "Techno told us he has a plan, remember? We just need to wait for him and the others to find us."

But what if they don't? a voice whispers in the back of his mind, and he does his best to ignore it as Karl sniffles and nods against his chest.

"What should we do now?" Karl asks, pulling back to look around for Sapnap. "Did you drop him?"

"No!" Quackity says indignantly, moving to block the evidence. "Why would I ever do that?"

Karl looks like he doesn't know if he wants to laugh or yell at him, and his eyes are still watering with tears. But he gives Quackity a half-smile, squeezes his hand, and moves to Sapnap's side. There's a gentle look in his eyes as he brushes his hand over Sapnap's cheek, tracing the contours of his cheekbone, roving over the eye that's bruised shut. It's intimate enough that, for a second, Quackity feels exposed, like he's witnessing something he shouldn't.

But then, Karl turns to him, the worry back in his eyes. "What should we do?" he says again, and Quackity doesn't know what to say back. He doesn't know what to do with Techno still downstairs.

But he can't tell Karl that. He doesn't want to see him worried again.

So he racks his mind for that one CPR course he did about ten years ago, trying to remember the procedure. Mentally going through every Mexican medical soap opera he's ever seen, and wishing he'd paid better attention to them.

"First, we should check his wounds," he decides, hoping he's not about to kill the guy Karl's in love with. "Let's start with that."

Karl nods, a hopeful gleam entering his gaze, and he kneels at Sapnap's side. He trails soft hands over Sapnap's sides and looks back at Quackity. "Should we cut open his hoodie or something?"

"Shit, yeah," Quackity says, searching around for something sharp until he remembers the knife Techno lent him before the battle. He hands it to Karl, who slits open the middle of Sapnap's hoodie. He peels it off carefully, his eyes focused as he tries not to graze any of Sapnap's injuries, cringing ever time Sapnap winces in his sleep.

When the hoodie's finally off, Karl gasps in horror just as Quackity's eyes land on the gash up Sapnap's arm.

"Shit," Quackity says, his heart in his throat. "Fuck."

Karl seems too stunned to even cry, his hand still clutched tightly around the knife. His eyes don't leave Sapnap's arm, even as Quackity drops to his side, putting an arm around his shoulders.

Quackity hugs Karl close and Karl leans into him, his body rigid. "We can fix this," Quackity murmurs, even though he's not sure they can. "Somehow."

"How?" Karl breathes, voice trembling. The silence stretches between them as Quackity tries to figure out what to say, how he'd ended up in that situation.

"We'll find a way," he says and he has to hold back his own tears as Karl starts crying again.

Skeppy's POV

Skeppy's trying his best not to panic. It's a lot more difficult than it should be.

Him and Montero move chairs and desks, dragging them out into the hallway where Techno and Bad are still fighting the staggering zombies. Skeppy's eyes go immediately to his boyfriend, who's covered in blood but seems okay. And even though part of Skeppy wishes he could fight at his side, he knows it would only make them both distracted.

So he goes back to shoving desks across the tiled floor, hoping that him and Montero can move fast enough to stop the zombies.

"This is the last desk," Montero pants, dragging it across the hallway. "Hopefully this works."

Techno lifts the desk and adds it to the now-huge pile of furniture blocking the doors. They can still hear zombies straining against their blockade, trying to get in, but Skeppy feels so much better now that he can't see the zombies anymore. Even their growls sound distant and the school is suddenly quiet.

Until Bad rushes at him, tackling him in a hug. "You muffinhead!"

"What?" Skeppy asks, even though he's relieved to be in his boyfriend's arms. He lets his cheek press against Bad's chest, inhaling the his scent. "You're the muffinhead!" he accuses, pushing away to look Bad in the eyes. "You could have died fighting those things!"

"Yeah, but I didn't," Bad shoots back, shouldering his rifle. One hand goes up to wipe the blood splattering his glasses. "I saved you."

Skeppy scoffs, but it sounds hollow even to him. "No, we did it together."

"I hate to intrude," Techno drawls, coming to stand beside them. "But we're not done here."

A flash of worry lights up Bad's eyes. "Where are the others?"

"Karl, Quackity, and Sapnap are on the roof, but Sapnap's hurt pretty bad. And Dream and George are missing."

"Missing?" Montero asks, whipping around to search the mostly clear hallway. "They were right behind us!"

Techno shrugs one shoulder but there's a subtle gleam of worry in his eyes. "They must have gotten chased or something. We'll find them once we start looking. Now that the doors are blocked off, we need to hunt down the zombies left in the school anyway. But first, I need to go check on Sapnap."

"I'm coming with you," Bad says, and Skeppy steps up to his boyfriend's side, grabbing his hand. "Me too," he says, and Bad looks grateful.

Skeppy notices the problem only once they reach the door to the stairwell. "Wait, didn't they block it off so that zombies couldn't get to them? What about us?"

Techno just grumbles something and slams his shoulder against the door, but it won't budge. "This was probably a mistake."

"Then how do we get to them?" Bad asks, his voice worried. "Doesn't Sapnap need us?"

"The only other way to get to the roof is outside," Montero says, like he's picturing a mental map of the school. "None of the other stairwells lead to it."

"We can't go outside," Techno points out. "Not with all the zombies. Not until we come up with a plan."

A silence falls over them, and Skeppy voices the question they're all thinking. "Is Sapnap gonna die?"

Bad swats his arm weakly. "No, of course not, you muffinhead. He'll be fine. He's strong."

Techno's eyes are burning with an emotion Skeppy can't place as he meets his gaze. "As long as he stays strong, he'll be fine. They all will."

Skeppy thinks about Dream and George and wonders where they disappeared to and if they're okay. But he suddenly thinks of Bad's hand in his, the warmth of his boyfriend's arm brushing past him, and he's glad that at least he's still by his side. "We will, too."

(1554 words)

------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry these chapters aren't super long, I've been thinking about trying to make them longer but what do y'all think?

Thank you to everyone who's been reading this, I appreciate you guys <3

Chapter 36: Hide

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: swearing, zombies, blood, weapons, fighting

Dream loses sight of his friends as the zombies swarm around him and George.

"George," he calls, but George is already there, pressing his back against him. A feeling of determination grows inside Dream as he positions himself so that they're back-to-back. The fear in his heart melts away as he remembers the fights in the cafeteria and in the woods. He's always fought better with George at his side.

They push through the zombies, moving together, their weapons slicing through skin and bone. The scent of blood is stifling, the sounds of zombies growling and retching scraping against Dream's ears. But it's the soft press of George against him, the sweet, spiced scent, the sound of his shallow breathing, that ground Dream. He remembers the fear he'd felt when the zombies had almost got George, and he fights harder to protect him.

"They're almost all dead," George calls to him. "Just a few more."

Dream slices at another two and they fall just as another one does with an arrow sticking out of his eye. Suddenly, the hallway goes silent, filled only with the sounds of heavy breathing.

Dream whirls around, grabbing George by the arms to survey him. "Are you okay, George? Are you safe?"

George lets our a breathless laugh. "Chill out, Dream, I'm fine. We won."

Dream feels like his heart was frozen until he heard those words. Now, he can feel it restart in his chest, beating steadily against his ribs. "Well..." he says, a slight smile tugging at his lips. "Technically, I won. I killed more zombies."

George scoffs, like he's in disbelief. "You're so annoying."

"But you love me for it," Dream answers, and George glares at him. But his lips tug up at the corners, and a slight blush spreads across his cheeks. "Admit it," Dream pushes.

"There's nothing to admit," George says, planting a hand on his chest like he's going to push him away. But his hand stays pressed against Dream's chest and neither of them moves as the air between them suddenly grows tense.

George's eyes are wide and dark and as he stares up at him, Dream notices the smallest gleam of worry behind the teasing in them. The worry and the relief crash together in Dream, and he pulls George to him, colliding their lips together.

George melts into him immediately, winding his arms around Dream's neck to pull him closer as Dream's hands go around his waist. The kiss is hard and desperate, fueled by fear and the feelings left over from the battle. When George pulls away, it's to rest his cheek against Dream's chest. Both of them are breathing hard, and George is shaking slightly in Dream's arms. Dream rests his cheek on George's head, breathing in his scent. The relief that washes over him is stronger then even the fear of almost losing him.

He doesn't know how long they stay like that, holding each other. Even though he doesn't ever want to pull away, it's the thought of their friends that wakes him from his daze.

"George," he says softly, and George nods against his chest, even though it takes him a while to actually move. Like he doesn't want the moment to end either.

Eventually, George untangles himself from Dream's arms to grab his crossbow from where he'd dropped it on the floor. "How are we gonna find the others?"

Dream takes a deep breath as he looks out into the silent hallway, littered with blood and bodies. Wherever the others have gone, they've left a trail of zombies behind. "We follow their trail."

George takes one look at the bodies and groans, scrubbing his hands over his face. "Do we have to?"

"Look at me, George," Dream says quietly and George obviously ignores him. "Look at me," he says again, his voice firmer.

When George finally looks up, Dream plants a kiss on his forehead. George scrambles back, cheeks flushing, and Dream bursts into laughter.

"What was that for?" George grumbles, even though he's still blushing.

"We'll be fine," Dream assures him. "It was just a precaution."

George gives him a look. "You kissed me as a precaution?" Dream nods sagely and George rolls his eyes. "You're actually an idiot."

Dream gives him a cheeky grin and reaches out his hand, his heart pounding for a completely different reason than before. "You coming?"

George snorts and Dream's lips quirk. But he accepts his hand, his other one positioned on the trigger of his crossbow. "If we don't find them in like, five minutes, I'm actually never speaking to you again."

Dream scoffs. "Deal," he says, and George seems to relax a little.

The hallway is eerily silent as they move through it as quietly as they can, watching for zombies that might still be alive. The others did a good job, Dream thinks. They don't run into a single living corpse until they reach a corner.

Growls fill the air, chilling Dream's blood. George squeezes his hand a little, the only sign that he's also worried. "Let's go," he says, and Dream nods stiffly.

His heart drums in his chest and his throat feels like it's closing up as they turn the corner...

"Oh my God," George says, loosening his death grip on Dream's hand. "Techno's actually a genius."

"Why?" Dream asks, even though he knows.

"You think Sapnap could have thought of this?"

"He might have," Dream argues, surveying the huge blockade of chairs and desks keeping out the zombies ramming against the front doors of the school. Decaying hands claw at them, but they can't reach between all the furniture.

"Then the others are safe," George says, squeezing Dream's hand again in reassurance. "They're probably looking for us."

Hope blooms in Dream's heart, even as his instincts tell him not to listen to it. "Maybe," he says. "Let's see if we can find them."

They leave the blockade and the zombies and head down another hallway. The growls behind them fade into the distance and Dream feels like a weight has been lifted off his shoulders. Even as he notices the bodies littering this hallway, too, and the splatters of blood on the walls. Had the others still been fighting?

"It's probably the zombies that managed to get in," George says, and Dream realizes he'd asked his last question aloud. "They couldn't stop all of them."

"No kidding," Dream murmurs, stopping by a spatter of blood that seems fresh. "They're nearby."

As if to prove him right, a growl rips through the air, coming from around another corner, and they both break into a sprint.

Gunshots sound, more growls, until they reach the corner and find a crowd of zombies chasing...

"Bad!" George yells. "Skeppy!"

They both whip around, and Dream wants to warn them to keep moving and not to get distracted. But he's too relieved to say anything, and they look too relieved to care.

"Thank God!" they hear Skeppy yelp, and Bad gives them both a grin. Dream has a feeling he'd hug them both if it wasn't for the zombies separating them.

"Are the others okay?" he yells over the growls.

Bad's face falls and Dream's heart drops. George's hand is squeezing his so tightly, it feels numb. "Techno and Montero are with us," Bad starts, but a zombie attacks him and he has to dodge its clumsy swing. He plunges his tomahawk into its head and it falls.

"What about the others?" Dream asks again, feeling his chest tighten.

"They're on the roof," Bad manages to call between fighting the zombies attacking him and having to defend Skeppy. "Sapnap's been injured."

"What?"

The word rips out of Dream's throat at the same time as George yells it. They lock eyes and everything in Dream goes cold. Suddenly, his stupid mind is replaying every moment of their friendship and wondering if they're gonna lose him. Sapnap, who's like a brother to him. Who was his best friend even before they'd met George.

"Why aren't you on the roof then?" he calls back, trying to keep his patience in check. "Is he gonna be okay?"

He's trying to remember the last time he'd caught sight of Sapnap. They had locked eyes while fighting and a relieved understanding had passed through both of them. Then, a group of zombies had distracted Dream, and he'd lost sight of his friend. Sapnap hadn't seemed hurt then, but...

"We can't get up to the roof," another voice says, and Techno appears, with Montero following close behind him as he clears a path through the zombies. "Way up's blocked."

"Then what are we gonna do?" Dream asks, worry cutting him deep. He's glad to see Techno and Montero alive, but he can't return the smile that Montero gives him, not when he's too busy worrying about Sapnap.

"There's another way up to the roof," Techno replies, slicing through a zombie as he meets Dream's eyes. "Outside."

George gets it first. "So we have to get rid of all those zombies."

Techno shoots him a faint smile. "Pretty much."

"How?" Dream asks and there's a silence at that.

"Focus on yourselves for now," Techno says finally. He gestures to the sea of zombies between them. "You can't help him if you're dead."

Just then, George's eyes widen, and he nocks an arrow into his crossbow. "Dream."

But Dream's already got his knives out, watching as half of the zombies the others are fighting slowly turn on them. Their eyes are hungry, their mouth stained red, and a pang of fear shoots through Dream as they all turn their attention to him and George.

"Shit," he says, and George spares him a worried glance before sliding into a fighting stance.

"Guys," Bad warns as the zombies lurch toward them. "Hide. You won't be able to fight all of them."

"He's right," Techno confirms, a spark of worry in his words. "It's better if we split up for now. Hunt down whatever zombies you can until we can group together again. We'll find a way to help Sapnap then. For now, Karl and Quackity will just have to keep him alive."

"What?" Dream says, slicing at a zombie. "We can't just leave him. He's our best friend!"

"Guys!" Bad snaps, and his tone makes Dream meet his gaze. "Hide. Now."

"Dream, come on," George says, tugging at his hand. "There's too many of them. I can't lose you too."

"We haven't lost anyone yet," Dream growls, praying he's not jinxing anything. But there are too many zombies. The hoard is closing in on them, and George pulls them both toward a classroom door. Dream's last glimpse of the others are of them moving toward their own door, one that he's pretty sure leads down to the basement.

Then, George pulls them both into a classroom and the door shuts behind them.

(1820 words)

Notes:

Y'all, school and work have been so stressful recently but I'm still trying to write whenever I can, so I hope these chapters aren't terrible. Thank you to everyone reading this and I hope you enjoyed <3<3

Chapter 37: I Have An Idea

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: zombies, blood, weapons, fighting, mild anxiety

Growls and thuds ram against the wooden door, but it holds as George starts dragging desks over to it.

"Help me, idiot," he says to Dream, who snaps out of his daze enough to help George lift another desk and move it to block the door handle. The noises outside finally die down with the last desk they move, and Dream feels like he can breathe again. Until he remembers Sapnap, who's hurt and stranded on the roof, and Bad and the others who are trapped behind a door like them.

But if he's panicking, then George is doing even worse.

Dream moves to wrap his arms around him, and George melts into the embrace, burying his face in Dream's chest. He's pale and shaking and terrified, even though he's the one who took charge and saved both of their lives while Dream froze like an idiot.

Dream threads his fingers through George's hair, holding him closer. "You saved us, George. You saved me."

George mumbles something against his chest and Dream pulls away a little. "What?"

"I said, it's cause I'm better than you," George says, but his cheeks are pink and Dream feels a smile tug at his lips, despite himself.

"I don't think that's what you said," he pushes and George rolls his eyes, shoving Dream lightly. But he seems a little more like himself, the fear in his eyes lessening at the challenge in Dream's words.

"It is what I said. What else would I have said?" George says, and Dream can see him trying to hide how flustered he is. "Just stop talking, idiot," he adds when Dream opens his mouth to retaliate, and he snuggles into his chest again before Dream can say anything.

The smile stays on Dream's face as he holds George, and it keeps his worries at bay even if just for the moment. Eventually, George relaxes in his arms, and Dream realizes that they've both stopped trembling.

"We should do something," George says.

The smile on Dream's face tugs up again. "Like what?" he asks suggestively.

George swats his chest. "I didn't mean it like that."

Dream huffs out a laugh and George giggles, despite himself. "Okay, what should we do?"

"I don't know, come up with a plan? Isn't that your job?"

"What?" Dream asks, heart hammering at the thought of being the leader again. "Since when? Can't we just work together?"

George makes a face. "Too wholesome."

Dream snorts but he leans down until his lips brush George's ear and George tenses. "Coming from the one who told me he loves me?"

"I did not!" George splutters, pulling away, his cheeks red.

Warmth shoots through Dream at how flustered George gets, but he does his best to hide it. Instead, he nods knowingly. "Don't worry, George, I love you, too."

"Shut up," George says, and Dream wonders just how embarrassed a person can get before they combust.

Dream shrugs, even though his own face burns at the memory of what George had whispered against his chest minutes ago, the words he'd never been able to say until then. When George glares up at him, he just leans down to peck him on the lips. "Come on, George. The least we can do is work together."

"Fine," George mumbles, growing a little more serious. And suddenly, Dream's remembering all their friends again, and the tension in the air wavers.

"How do we get out of here?" George asks, motioning to the door. Even though the groans are a little more distant, the door still shakes every once in a while when a zombie gets too close. "We can't find the others until we get past all those zombies."

Dream's mind whirls as he tries to come up with a plan, even though it seems impossible. "We'll figure something out," he says and the thought of Sapnap is what makes him determined to come up with a solution. "We have to."

George nods and takes his hand, squeezing it in reassurance. And even though they're separated from their friends, and there's a million zombies blocking their exit, hope shoots through Dream as he squeezes back.

Bad's POV

"Skeppy!" Bad calls, grabbing his boyfriend's hand. "Get to the basement!"

Skeppy nods, narrowly dodging a zombie reaching for him, and they both take off to the basement door where Techno is waiting for them.

"Come on!" Techno says, waving his knife toward the door. "Montero's already in!"

They rush into the basement and Bad lets go of Skeppy's hand to stay with Techno and help defend the door against zombies. His pulse is rocketing and he feels sweat roll down his back as he grips his tomahawk. At least Skeppy's safe, he thinks, and it's enough to strengthen his determination. As he faces the zombies beside Techno, he hopes that Dream and George got away, that they managed to hide like he'd told them to.

"I'll distract them," Bad says to Techno. "Just make sure you close the door when I give the signal."

Techno arches a brow. "And what's the signal?"

"Muffins!" Bad shrieks, as he charges into battle, swinging his tomahawk like crazy.

Zombies swarm around him, their groans and retches filling his ears. His thoughts narrow in on the fight, focused on swinging his tomahawk and hacking down the monsters. He remembers shooting pistols as a kid, and the concentration that fills him now is the same as back then. Except now, he's fighting to protect his friends, and the thought only makes him more determined.

He thinks of Skeppy, safe in the basement, and he promises himself they'll get to see each other again.

Bad takes out another row of zombies before a voice calls his name. "Bad!"

Bad's blood goes cold as he whips around. "Skeppy! What are you doing, I told you to stay in the basement!"

"I wanna help," Skeppy says, grabbing the knife Techno hands him and gripping it tightly. There's a determined look in his eyes as he charges to meet Bad. Bad fights the urge to scream at him as Skeppy stabs at the nearest zombie, taking it down. "I can fight, too," he says, meeting Bad's eyes.

The argument dies inside of Bad. "Fine," he mutters. "We'll watch each others backs."

"Can we move on from the cringey romance part?" Techno calls from beside the door. "There are still zombies, you know."

Bad lets out a deep breath, forcing himself not to argue, and repositions himself so that he and Skeppy are back-to-back. "We can do this, Skeppy," he says, and, with a battle cry, they launch into the fight.

They take down monster after neverending monster, until there's sweat dripping down Bad's back and Skeppy looks like he might pass out. Slowly, they herd the zombies down the hall, leaving the basement door exposed.

"Now!" Bad yells, turning around to grab Skeppy's hand. "Run, Skeppy!"

They dash toward the door. "Muffins!" Bad screams, and Techno shuts and locks the door behind all of them, leaving the zombies to slam into the metal. Skeppy stumbles down the steps and Bad barely manages to catch him before he can fall over. They reach the basement floor and collapse, breathing hard. Only Montero seems completely unharmed as he rushes to meet them.

"Are you guys okay?" he asks.

Bad's heart is hammering in his chest as he shuts his eyes. He can feel blood splattered over his face and clothes and  knows he must look terrible. He's not even sure he can answer the question, but luckily Techno answers for him.

"We're alive, so that's something," he says, wiping the blood from his knives on his pants. "Better than those zombies, anyway."

The conversation continues but Bad barely hears it as he rolls over onto his stomach to look at Skeppy. Skeppy, who's collapsed on his back, eyes closed and hair plastered to his forehead. "Skeppy, are you okay?"

"That... was awesome," Skeppy gasps, opening his eyes to look at Bad. "Did you see me? I killed a bunch of them!"

Bad lets out a sigh of relief, pinching the bridge of his nose. "What?" Skeppy asks and Bad shakes his head.

"Nothing. I'm just glad you're alive, Skeppy. Do you know how dangerous that was?"

"Yeah," Skeppy says, shifting onto his stomach too so that they're facing each other. "But it was awesome!"

"Oh my God," Bad mutters, trying to remember that he's grateful that Skeppy's here. That he'd survived even though he'd impulsively charged into battle. "You did good, you muffinhead. I guess I'm really good at teaching, seeing as how you managed to fight your way through all those things."

"Yeah, or maybe I'm just a super talented fighter and I've only unlocked like two percent of my abilities."

Bad snorts and Skeppy giggles and then they're both laughing breathlessly and Techno and Montero are looking at them like they've lost their minds.

"Is this some kind of adrenaline high?" Techno asks, his lips curving into a smile.

Bad calms down enough to say, "We couldn't have won without you, Techno. You did really good."

But Techno shakes his head. "I hate to ruin the mood, but we've still got bigger problems to worry about. Like how we're gonna get onto the roof."

The words cut through Bad's adrenaline and he realizes their situation for the first time. They're trapped in a basement while the rest of their friends are split up throughout the school.

But it's as Bad takes a look around the basement, noting all the supplies stacked on shelves, that a burst of inspiration comes to him. He locks eyes with Skeppy, who looks scared but determined.

Bad turns back to look at Techno and his voice is a little hoarse as he says, " I have an idea."

(1643 words)

Notes:

Might have a Christmas chapter ready for next week... <3

Chapter 38: Took You Long Enough, Nimrod

Notes:

Okay, I know y'all have been waiting for this chapter forever so here you go. Hope you enjoy <3

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: swearing, blood, weapons

The last thing Sapnap remembers is being dragged up a staircase, the world blurry and tilting, his arm throbbing, and a crying voice telling him it would be okay.

But when he opens his eyes, he's lying on his back on the sofa in their apartment in Florida.

"What the fuck?" Sapnap mutters, shifting a little. He frowns as he moves the arm he's pretty sure should be in huge pain currently but isn't. What the hell is he doing here? Where are the others?

"Sapnap!" A voice calls, and Sapnap squints at the door that opens across the room. Dream walks out, and Sapnap's frown deepens. Because his friend isn't clutching knives or stained with blood or holding on to George's hand as they fight zombies. He's wearing a fresh hoodie and there's a relaxed smile pulling at his lips like he's about to start teasing Sapnap for sleeping for so long.

What time is it anyway? Sapnap wonders, and then shakes his head. Whatever universe this is, it isn't real. It shouldn't matter what time it is.

He tries to remember more of his real life, but it's already fading, just out of reach. Panic shoots through him as he tries to remember, but just then, George walks out behind Dream.

"What's wrong with you, Sapnap?" George asks and Sapnap's attention snaps to him. "You look like you just died or something."

"Died?" Sapnap asks, and something about the wording sounds weird to him. "Why would you say that?"

George shrugs. "It's just an expression, idiot. Seriously though, are you okay?"

"I'm fine," Sapnap mutters, sitting up a little. The apartment looks exactly the same as the last time he was here, and it makes his eyes sting. But why? He thinks, mind whirling. He's lived here for as long as he can remember.

Dream shrugs, too, and walks over to sit next to Sapnap, propping his legs on the table in front of them. "Whatever you say, dude. Wanna watch a movie?"

The familiar anticipation fills him, that feeling he always gets when him and his friends sit down to watch a new movie. He opens his mouth to agree, but just then, something catches his attention. Something splattered on the wall behind the TV, red and dripping...

Sapnap scrambles backward, away from the bloodstain. "What the fuck is that shit?" he asks his friends, but they don't seem to notice. They just sit down, opening the TV and browsing through movies like everything's normal.

A cold feeling settles in Sapnap. He gets up, eyes moving between the bloodstain and his friends. His heart pounds heavily against his ribs as he backs slowly out of their apartment. As he passes the kitchen on his way to the door, a sudden instinct hits him. He grabs a kitchen knife from its holder, and it fits perfectly in his hand. For a second, he wonders why he would need a weapon.

Then, he's out of the apartment, leaving his friends behind. His friends, who don't even notice that he's left.

He wanders through the dark, familiar hallways, keeping his grip tight on the knife. There's something odd about the apartment, something he's not remembering. He keeps touching his arm, like he's expecting to find something other than a hoodie sleeve, except he doesn't know what.

He racks his brain, wondering what's missing, why there's a shiver creeping up his spine...

A groan sounds from a nearby hallway.

Sapnap startles, swinging around, his knife gripped tight in his hands. That's when he catches sight of a figure with tousled hair, wearing a dark turtleneck, his back to him.

His heart is in his throat as he approaches the figure and when he looks down, he realizes that his hands are shaking.

"Who are you?" Sapnap asks, and the figure takes off at a run like Sapnap's voice scared it.

"Wait!" Sapnap yells, suddenly forgetting his fear as he sprints down the hallway after it. There's something warm and familiar about the figure, something that sends heat crawling up his neck and over his cheeks. He needs to know who it is, but every time he thinks he's catching up to it, he sees a flash of hair or a glimpse of clothing disappearing around another corner.

Desperation creeps through him as the figure reaches a stairwell and disappears into it. Sapnap follows and sees black fabric whip around the stairwell as the figure climbs to the roof.

Sapnap takes the steps three at a time and, even though they feel neverending, he finally bursts through a doorway and finds himself on the roof.

Except it's not the roof of their apartment building in Florida. It's the roof of a school, and he's not sure how he knows that. Two sleeping bags are lined up at the edge of the roof, close enough that they're touching. And, sitting on one of them, gazing up at the night sky, is the figure with the turtleneck and the tousled hair.

Warmth rushes through Sapnap as a million memories flood back to him.

He remembers the first time they met. The figure with the tousled hair, wearing wire-rimmed glasses and sitting in a cherry-red convertible, a sunny smile on his face. The time they had spent together in a camp by the forest edge, Sapnap coaching him how to shoot and holding him when his fears took over. The first kiss they'd shared, blurred by a haze of alcohol and adrenaline - the time when they'd done more than just kiss. The backstory he still doesn't know and the feelings he still hasn't confessed.

"Karl," Sapnap whispers, and the name almost lodges in his throat as Karl turns around, eyes sparkling in the starlight.

"Nick!" Karl says, waving at him. "Took you long enough, nimrod."

Sapnap chokes out a laugh and walks over to join him. He sits on his own sleeping bag, staring at Karl like he can't believe he's sitting there. And he can't, not when Karl offers him another smile or when he interlocks their fingers and tucks Sapnap's hand into both of his. He presses a kiss to Sapnap's hand, and warmth shoots through his arm to light up his face.

"What are you doing here?" Sapnap asks, and the world feels like it's spinning. He still can't remember what happened before he got here, or how he got here. "Where are we?"

Karl's grin is lopsided. "I am a genius, but I don't know everything, Nick. This is your world, not mine."

Sapnap frowns, even as the warmth in Karl's eyes and the way he says his name make his blood sing. "My world?"

Karl's eyes cloud over and Sapnap's heart stills. "You got hurt, remember? You're passed out on the roof of the school right now. Your friends are trying to save you but it doesn't look good."

The last pieces of his memory suddenly thud together and everything makes sense again.

He remembers the invasion, the zombies pouring into the school and him and his friends rushing to defend themselves. Remembers as Dream and George split off from the group, the panic he'd felt even as he stayed put to defend Karl. The shot of pain in his arm from that scratch he'd gotten saving Karl from the roof, the world going blurry as Karl and Quackity caught him and dragged him up to the roof.

"Am I gonna die?" he wonders aloud, and even Karl can't answer that one.

They're both quiet for a while, staring up at the stars, comfortable in each other's closeness. Even though this Karl is conjured up from Sapnap's memories, the warmth of their interlocked hands feel real. He wonders if he'll ever see Karl again, if he'll ever get to confess that he's in love with him. Properly, this time.

Sapnap turns to look at the Karl from his memories, watching the starlight sweep over his features. Karl's pink lips tug up, and his blue-gray eyes glow. Sapnap's breath catches as he looks at him and he wonders why he hadn't just kissed him sooner, why he hadn't taken all the time in the world to get to know him instead of worrying about being embarrassed.

"I want to go back," Sapnap says, even though he knows he's pretty much talking to himself.

But Karl's smile widens, his eyes warming. "Then go back. You still have a chance."

"But I'm dying," Sapnap mumbles, and fear shoots through him again as he thinks of all the people he won't get to see again. "Zombie scratches are fatal."

"Injuries can be treated," Karl counters and Sapnap remembers Techno's words, the certainty in them. "You're not dead yet and you're strong enough to live. It's your choice."

"My choice?" Sapnap repeats, wondering how that's possible, how he can choose whether to live or die. But he doesn't feel dead, or dying. He feels like he still has too much to live for.

"You're gonna be okay, Nick," Karl says, and this time, Sapnap hears the echo of the real Karl in his words. "Just keep fighting."

Even though when he first got to this weird world a part of Sapnap almost wanted to stay with his friends in their apartment and wanted to stay watching the stars with Karl forever, another part of him realizes now that that would mean giving up. And he's not about to give up, not when his real friends are waiting for him to wake up.

So Sapnap lets go of Karl's hand, gets up, and crosses the roof. He shuts his eyes, letting the memory of their apartment brand itself into his mind, soaking in the happy memories.

Then, Sapnap opens his eyes.

(1628 words)

Notes:

Sorry for the cliffhanger again! But I might release an early Christmas chapter so at least that <3<3

Chapter 39: Karaoke, Eggnog, and Mistletoe

Notes:

Just me still manifesting a Dream Team Christmas even though it got cancelled :( This is a longer chapter so I hope you guys enjoy <3

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: swearing, weapons

Dreams

Dream dreams that he is back in their apartment in Florida on Christmas eve.

He's standing in their living room, watching as Sapnap flips through Netflix, looking for a Christmas movie to watch. There's a Christmas tree in a corner and a pile of presents under it. Suddenly, he realizes why this day feels important, even in his dream. It's the first Christmas where they were all living together, the first Christmas George spent with them.

A lump builds in his throat and he has to swallow it down as George comes sprinting out of his room and flops on the sofa.

"It's Christmas eve!" George shrieks, and Sapnap just rolls his eyes, shutting the TV.

"What do you guys not have Christmas in the UK or something?" Sapnap asks. "It's not that big a deal." But there's an emotion shining in his eyes that makes Dream think he doesn't want to show how happy he is that George finally gets to spend a Christmas with his friends.

"Of course they do, and it's still a big deal," George grumbles, poking Sapnap in the ribs. "Dream gets it."

"What do I get?" The past version of Dream asks, coming out of his bedroom.

"Dream," George whines, standing to grab his arm. "Sapnap's being mean again."

Sapnap rolls his eyes again, Dream makes a pained face, and George giggles at all of them. But his hands stay on Dream's arm, and Dream remembers the warmth that had seeped through his hoodie, the invisible imprint of George's fingers that had stayed long after he'd let go.

This was way before he'd told George about his feelings for him, but maybe the signs had always been there.

Time seems to blur, and then it's twilight and they're sitting around the tree, sorting through presents. George has the biggest pile despite Sapnap's complaining, because Dream and Sap had taken hours finding the perfect presents for him.

"Oh my God!" George yells, digging into his pile of presents. The first one he pulls out is a flat present wrapped in lime green. "This is from Dream," George states and Dream's cheeks heat as he wonders if George will like it or not.

"Open it," Dream says when George stalls, examining every side of the package like he's going to figure out what it is. He smirks at Dream and rips open the green packaging. Dream's heart climbs into his throat as George holds up the blue, oversized hoodie Dream had gone through at least ten stores to find.

"Now you can give me back that hoodie you stole from me," Dream mutters, not taking his eyes of George's face as he looks for a reaction.

George scrunches his nose and says, "It's alright. I'm not giving back your hoodie, though."

Then he slips on the hoodie, eyes gleaming, and Dream can't stop grinning for the rest of the night.

That night, long after George and Sapnap had fallen asleep, cuddled together in a blanket as they watched a movie, Dream watches both of his friends sleep peacefully. George looks like he's drowning in an ocean of fabric, the warm blue contrasting against his flushed cheeks. A smile stays on Dream's lips as he tucks the blanket below George's neck and falls asleep next to his friends on the couch.

Christmas Day (Present)

Dream wakes up to George pouncing on him.

"What the hell, George?" he groans, pain shooting through his limbs. But it disappears the second he opens his eyes, and finds George inches away from his face. The pain disappears and his skin heats.

"It's Christmas!" George exclaims, his breath warm against Dream's cheeks. "How can you sleep in on Christmas? Even I woke up early."

Dream rubs his eyes, trying to look around the classroom. "Did anyone else wake up early or did you just decide to torture me?"

George makes a face, poking him in the nose. "I'm not gonna torture you if you have a present for me."

"How could I have a present for you?We're in the middle of an apocalypse. What do you want me to get you, a new knife?"

"So you don't have a present?" George summarizes.

Dream sighs dramatically, leans up, and pecks George on the lips. "There's your present, idiot."

A smirk blooms on George's lips, distracting Dream, who's suddenly overly aware of how closely they're pressed together. Of how George's legs are tangled in his and his hips are presses against his stomach and...

And then the warmth disappears as George stands up as suddenly as he had pounced. "Fine, I'll ask Sapnap for a better present."

Dream lets out a growl, reaching for George, but he's already crossed the room to Sapnap's sleeping bag. Dream exhales roughly, willing the heat and frustration below his stomach to ebb away. He wonders if this is what George meant by torturing him, especially when George throws a look over his shoulder and catches Dream's gaze. His eyes gleam and Dream sits up...

But George is already shaking Sapnap awake. "It's Christmas, idiot!" he says, his voice carrying through the room and startling the others awake.

"It's Christmas?!" Sapnap yells, sitting up.

"It's too fucking early is what it is," Quackity grumbles. Then, he frowns. "Wait, it's Christmas?"

"You guys didn't know?" Karl asks, wiggling out of his sleeping bag. He stands up, sticking out his arms to show off a Christmas sweater he's somehow wearing. It's the ugliest thing Dream has ever seen - brick-red with a clashing pattern, ornaments hanging off it, and a reindeer that looks weirdly 3D. "I've been ready for like, a month."

Quackity stands like he's about to give a speech and Dream pulls his gaze away from Karl's sweater. "Okay, first thing's first, we need a tree. Someone, go find one."

"Why don't you go find one?" George mutters, and Quackity gives him a death glare.

But Sapnap stands up and grabs his new-found axe from beside his sleeping bag. "I'll go cut down a tree."

"Wait, chill," Karl says, tugging at Sapnap's sleeve. "Isn't that kinda dangerous?"

"I'll be fine," Sapnap says, his voice softening a fraction. "I'll bring Techno with me so he can help me carry back the tree."

Quackity claps his hands together, interrupting the moment. "Okay, Sapnap, you can leave now." He literally shoves Sapnap out the door, shuts it behind him, and turns to face the others. "Now, what?"

"Now, we decorate," Karl announces. "And also find presents. And maybe some eggnog and a karaoke machine and gingerbread."

"Wait, what?" Dream asks, breaking out of his thoughts. "Where the hell are we gonna find all of that?"

A smile tugs at Karl's lips. "Trust me, I know a place."

It doesn't take long for Karl to convince everyone and then they're heading down to the basement which is apparently full of Christmas stuff. Montero joins them, wearing a shimmering elf costume with a jingling elf hat. Earrings shapes like sleighs lead by reindeer dangle from his ears. Dream doesn't even question where he found all that, just like he doesn't question where Karl found his sweater as they reach the basement door.

"What?" Dream wonders aloud as they descend into the basement which has, somehow, become a winter wonderland. "When did all of this get here?"

Karl just slings an arm around Montero's shoulders. "We set this up ages ago, dude."

There are garlands and mistletoe strung around the room. Dream locks eyes with Karl, who gives him a half-smile, gesturing with his chin to the mistletoe hanging from the ceiling, alarmingly close to being above Dream.

Then, he realizes that George is standing next to him and the implication of Karl's nod makes his cheeks burn.

But the others are distracted by the basement and Dream manages to move away from the mistletoe discreetly, dragging George with him. Besides, he thinks. Karl could just as easily get caught under it with Sapnap.

Just then, like the universe read his mind, the door opens and Sapnap and Techno appear, carrying a tree between them.

"This shit's heavy, you know," Sapnap grunts, dragging the tree down the stairs. But his ears turn red when Karl saunters over to peck him on the cheek for his efforts, and Dream hides a smirk.

But George distracts him, tugging at his sleeve. "What are the tables for?"

"How would I know, idiot?" Dream scoffs, staring at the four tables that have been set up and the boxes stacked on them. "Are those gingerbread houses?"

"Yup," Karl answers. He's left Sapnap's side while Sap and Techno set up the tree in a corner of the room. A wicked smile spreads over Karl's face. "And guess who's hosting the competition?"

"Me," Quackity announces, joining them. "I will be the judge of this competition," he declares in a terrible British accent.

"What competition?" Dream asks, and Bad frowns, overhearing their conversation.

Apparently, they're the only ones who are confused, because George just shrugs, grabbing onto Dream's arm. "Me and Dream are a team. We're gonna win, even if you're judging."

"We'll see about that," Quackity says imperiously.

Gingerbread Houses

Somehow, ten minutes later, Dream finds himself standing behind one of the tables, next to George who's holding their unopened gingerbread house. The others have paired up behind the other tables - Bad and Skeppy, Karl and Sapnap, and Techno and Montero. Quackity stands in the middle, arms crossed, a frown on his face.

"There are no rules," Quackity states. "Go."

George starts ripping open the box as the others do too. He keeps a protective arm around it, motioning for Dream to do the same.

"The other teams are gonna sabotage us," George says like it's obvious. "This is Sapnap and Karl, remember?"

"Right," Dream says as George shoves a bunch of bags into his hands, and they start building.

Shouts and bickering rise from the other tables. Dream casts a quick look around. Bad and Skeppy are, obviously, arguing about what part of the house they should start with. While Karl builds, Sapnap looks dangerously close to actually trying to sabotage someone, his baseball bat in hand. Only Techno and Montero build in harmony, one of them constructing and the other decorating.

"Dream, focus," George says, and Dream snaps from his daze. George grabs his hand and places it on a bag of candy. "If you're not gonna build, at least make it look decent."

Dream rolls his eyes, but they fall into an easy pace, like all those times they'd fought back to back against zombies.

Their house is actually starting to look pretty good, when Quackity appears between them. He makes a face.

"It's good, idiot," George says, pushing him out of their space and moving closer to Dream so that he can't get back in. "Go bother someone else, me and Dream are busy."

For some reason, that makes Dream's neck heat, but Quackity just shrugs and saunters away, stopping unsurprisingly by Karl's side.

Just as Sapnap barrels at them with his baseball bat.

"Protect the house!" George yells, and he charges at Sapnap to stop him as Dream throws his arms around their build and glares at Sapnap protectively. Quackity just keeps talking to Karl, who's still building like nothing is happening.

"George," Sapnap pants. "I don't want to do this."

"Then, don't," George says just as dramatically and a smile tugs at Dream's lips. "It doesn't have to be this way."

"But it does," Sapnap says, lifting his bat over his head.

"Time!" Quackity yells, and everyone freezes, their houses in different states of completion. "I will now judge."

George returns to Dream's side to grab his hand as they both wait for Quackity, who starts off at Bad and Skeppy's house. It looks decent until the roof caves in and it all falls apart in a cloud of sugar. Skeppy lets out a shriek and Bad's eyes widen. "Skeppy!" he screams.

"You get a zero," Quackity announces, moving on before they can protest.

Next is Techno and Montero's house. They get an eight, before Quackity moves to George and Dream's house. Even though their house looks pretty good and it's only a gingerbread house competition, George squeezes his hand like their lives depend on it.

"A six," Quackity decides and George looks incredulous.

"But it's good!" he says. "Tell him, Dream."

Quackity just waves them away and moves on to Karl and Sapnap's house. As far as Dream can tell, Sapnap didn't actually contribute anything to building the house but he looks more proud than Karl when Quackity looks impressed.

"Magnificent," Quackity says dramatically. "Chefs kiss. Ten out of ten."

Sapnap whoops and him, Karl and Quackity hug and shriek, and everyone else bursts into argument. Dream doesn't join in but he can't take his eyes off George who's normally calm. Currently, his cheeks are flushed and he's gesturing wildly and Dream wonders how someone can looks so beautiful when they're angry.

Karaoke, Eggnog, and Mistletoe

"Guys, look!" Quackity calls once the commotion of the competition fades away. He tugs on one of the wooden boards that block out the window and it gives away. "It's snowing!"

They all gather around and stare at the shimmering snow for a moment. Then, George announces he's bored and Karl slams a hand on one of the tables, making everyone jump.

"That's it," he says, turning to Techno. "Glass me!"

Techno raises a brow in alarm. "You want me to do what?"

"The eggnog, man," Karl clarifies and Dream and George burst into laughter. Karl just looks confused, and Sapnap puts an arm on his back in reassurance, even though it he's also hiding a smile.

When they all have a glass of eggnog - Dream still has no idea where that came from - they move to the couch that faces a TV. Karl's already attached a karaoke machine to it and he grabs the microphone, looking around the room.

"Who wants to sing with me?" he asks. Sapnap jumps to his feet and Dream wonders if the eggnog's going to his head as he takes the mic that Karl hands him.

"We're singing this one," Sapnap says and he selects one of the Christmas carols. The sound of a guitar suddenly fills the space and Dream whips around to find Quackity strumming on an acoustic guitar like it's a normal occurrence. Then, Sapnap starts singing passionately with Karl offering adlibs in the background.

"He sounds like he's dying," George whispers to Dream halfway through the song as Sapnap's voice cracks on a high note and they both stifle their laughter. For some reason, Dream can't seem to shake his smile even long after the song's over and they've started another one. Bad and Skeppy join in this one, and then Montero. Everyone stops to stare when he sings, and Sapnap and Karl put down their mics to let him take the stage.

They sing late into the night, refilling their glasses of eggnog a few too many time, until George leans his head against Dream's shoulder.

"I'm tired," he complains quietly.

A smile tugs at Dream's lips. "Let's go somewhere else, then."

Him and George stand up quietly, but no one seems to hear them. Somehow, the others have moved on from Christmas songs and Sapnap and Karl's faces are flushed as they come up with... interesting new lyrics to familiar songs. Bad and Skeppy have fallen asleep in a corner, and Dream and George creep past them, careful not to wake them up.

George groans the second the others are too far to hear them. "Does he ever stop singing?" he asks, gesturing to Sapnap.

Dream grins. "Remember when he sang Christmas carols the whole night that one time?"

"I didn't get any sleep that night," George grumbles. To Dream's surprise, he wraps his arms around Dream's waist, leaning his head against his chest. Dream's face feels warm and they're silent for a while.

Dream breaks the silence. "I had a dream last night. About the first Christmas we all spent together."

George doesn't look up, but Dream can imagine the smile tugging at his lips. "At least I got presents back then."

Dream rolls his eyes, looking up at the ceiling... and freezes.

Hanging above them is a cluster of mistletoe.

Dream almost hopes George hasn't noticed it too, but his silence goes on too long and George looks up.

"Dream?" he questions but then, his gaze finds the mistletoe. A slow smile spreads across his face, his dark eyes watching as Dream's cheeks warm. "Is that mistletoe?" When Dream nods, George pushes away a little, still close enough that his breath grazes Dream's cheeks. "Then why haven't you kissed me yet?"

Dream's breath catches. "I thought you didn't believe in traditions. Too wholesome."

George shrugs, looping his arms around Dream's neck. "Some traditions are alright," he says, and he doesn't given Dream time to react before he leans up and presses his lips to his.

Dream's thoughts puddle and he wonders how it is that George can kiss him so many times and it still makes them both flustered. But the thought quickly melts away as Dream curls his fingers around George's waist and deepens their kiss.

It feels like hours before they break apart, before Dream tilts his forehead against George's and they smile at each other. George's lips are distracting and Dream looks anywhere but on them. His eyes fall on George's sweater and his heart skips a beat. He can't believe he'd missed it this whole time.

"Cute sweater," he says, his fingers caught in the blue material of the hoodie he'd given George all those Christmases ago. "Wonder who got it for you?"

George smirks. "This annoying idiot got it for me for Christmas."

Dream brings his face down to George's so that their lips are almost grazing. "This annoying idiot says Merry Christmas."

George rolls his eyes but brings his lips to Dream's. Somewhere beyond them, their friends are still laughing and singing but Dream barely notices. "Merry Christmas, Dream," George says as night falls around them.

(3031 words)

Notes:

This chapter was rushed because I wanted it to be early so sorry if it's not the best. The next chapter won't be until next week cause I'm gonna take a break but happy holidays, y'all!! <3

Chapter 40: You're Alive

Notes:

I'm back with the first chapter of 2022, let's go! Hope y'all enjoy <3

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: swearing, zombies, weapons

Sapnap's eyes flutter open and a gasp echoes in his ears.

For a moment, between the blurriness of the world and the pain in his arm, he's not sure if the gasp came from him. Until a face appears above his, growing clearer and clearer. Karl swims into view, tears welling in his eyes and staining his cheeks.

"Nick!" he croaks, his voice hoarse, and he cups Sapnap's cheek with a hand. Sapnap leans into the warmth, remembering the dream world he'd been in and how Karl had been the one to bring him out of it. "You're awake. You're alive."

"Karl..." he starts, but someone interrupts him. A very loud, very annoying someone.

"Finally, asshole," Quackity says, also appearing above him. He frowns down at him. "Look who's being all dramatic about a little scratch."

Sapnap opens his mouth to retort but, before he can, Karl presses his lips to his.

Whatever he'd been planning to say to Quackity fades away, as he grabs onto Karl's arms, tugging him closer. His lips are soft and sweet and he realizes how much he'd missed touching him, how much the thought of never being able to again had scared him. The words that he wanted to say to Karl bubble up again. He pulls away from Karl, and rests his forehead against his.

Karl's wide blue-green eyes are still filled with tears, but he tries to blink them away and smile. And the words Sapnap's been planning to say dry up in his mouth again as he stares at Karl's beautiful face.

"You scared me," Karl whispers, clutching Sapnap's hand. "A lot. I thought you were gonna die."

Sapnap huffs out a quiet laugh. "Of course I wasn't gonna die, nimrod. I still have a bunch of zombies to kill. And a bunch of people to protect."

He gives Karl a shaky smile and the words that keep circling his thoughts tumble out. "I love you, Karl." Karl goes still, his grip tight on his hand, but Sapnap continues. "When I was unconscious I had this dream, and you were the person who brought me back to life. If it wasn't for you, I might have given up. And that's when I realized."

A smile tugs at Karl's lips, wide and infectious, and new tears well in his eyes. "Took you long enough," he says, sounding scarily like his dream version. "I love you too, nimrod. If you couldn't already tell."

Sapnap feels warmth bloom in his chest, replacing the nerves fluttering in his stomach, and he feels like he might never stop smiling. Until Karl swats him, hard, on the arm. "But you scared the shit out of me, dickwad. If you ever do that again, I'm literally leaving you for Quackity."

They both turn to look at Quackity, Karl smiling and Sapnap glaring. Quackity just crosses his arms. "Oh, now you remember I exist. Sorry, didn't want to intrude on all your pda."

"Shut up," Sapnap mutters, interlocking his fingers with Karl even though it hurts his arm.

His arm. Karl seems to realize the problem at the same time as him and his smile wavers. "We're still not in the clear then, huh?"

"Not until we find an antidote," Sapnap says. He scans his surroundings, taking in the gray roof of the school, near the area where he'd found Karl that one time he'd disappeared. "Techno said there's a cure for everything though," he adds, and then frowns as a thought comes to him. "Where is Techno? Where are the others?"

Karl and Quackity exchange a look. Sapnap sits up, gripping Karl's hand a bit harder as a wave of dizziness hits him. He finds his gun next to him, and feels a little safer holding it, even though there aren't any zombies up here.

He shoots Karl and Quackity a questioning look, and Karl sighs. "Techno told us to get you to safety, so we did. You were unconscious and bleeding and we didn't even know if you'd live. Especially not with a million zombies surrounding us. The others stayed behind to keep fighting the zombies. I'm sure they're fine, though," he adds, when Sapnap shoots him a look.

"You didn't check?" he snaps, even though he's not actually mad at Karl - and even Quackity. Not when he's glad that they're okay, at least. But he can't shake his worry thinking about Dream and George and all their other friends. Wondering if they're safe and alive.

"No, we didn't check," Quackity retorts, holding his broomstick a little tighter. "Karl was worried sick, and I had to protect both of you in case any zombies came upstairs. You think I don't wanna know what happened to them too?"

Sapnap deflates a little. He tries to struggle to his feet, and ends up leaning on Karl for support. Karl loops an arm around his shoulders, and he puts his good arm around Karl's waist. When he feels like he can stand, he says, "We need to check the first floor. Hopefully they fought off the zombies or found a place to hide. But they might be stuck and they might need our help."

"What about you arm, dumbass?" Quackity asks, sounding more worried than anything. "You can't fight like that."

Sapnap shifts his gun into one arm. "Let's hope we don't run into any zombies, then."

Karl nods like it's a solid plan, even though there's a glimmer of fear in his eyes. Quackity stares at them like they're both insane, especially when Sapnap starts walking toward the door that leads off the roof, Karl following at his side.

"If you two die, it's not my fault," Quackity mutters, but he follows them, holding his broomstick tightly.

They reach the door, and Sapnap shoulders it open. They all go quiet as they listen for any zombies in the stairwell.

"We boarded up the door to the first floor," Karl whispers, even though he sounds worried. "No zombies can get in."

Sapnap relaxes a little. "Come on," he replies, and they start down the stairwell, weapons in hand.

The door is blocked up by furniture and planks of wood. When Sapnap tries to drag away a chair, pain burns up his arm, and Karl slaps his hand away.

"Quackity can do it," he says, and Quackity looks incredulous. He opens his mouth like he wants to argue but then closes it and starts moving furniture, muttering curses the whole time. Sapnap smirks despite himself, Karl giggles and Quackity flips them both off.

Soon, there's only one chair left between them and the zombies outside. "Are you guys ready?" Quackity asks. "Or do you want me to take on all the zombies by myself, too?"

Sapnap rolls his eyes. "Obviously we're gonna help you, nimrod," he says, moving toward the door. But he feels his heart speed up as he reaches the door, feels Karl's arm tighten around him. He squeezes Karl's waist and takes a deep breath, trying his best to hold his weapon in one hand.

"Get ready," he murmurs to both of them as Quackity moves the last chair and swings open the door.

They charge out as best they can with Sapnap's injury and Karl having to half-carry him. But the hallway is mostly empty, except for a few zombies that are dragging their feet around slowly and aimlessly.

Sapnap skids to a stop, bringing Karl with him. Quackity swings his broomstick around, but lowers it when he finds no immediate threat after them. "Where the hell is everyone?"

"They're probably just hiding," Karl says, sounding more hopeful than he looks. "That's what we did, and we survived."

Pain shoots through Sapnap's arm like a reminder but he ignores it. His mind whirls, picturing Dream and George, his best friends. If he loses them...

"Hey," Karl says, squeezing his shoulder. He tilts Sapnap's head toward his with his fingers, forcing him to meet his gaze. "We'll find them. They're tougher than they look."

Sapnap snorts but nods, wishing the worry in his chest would loosen. But something about Karl's reassuring touch and the confidence in his words gives him hope. "We'll find them," Sapnap repeats, and he closes his eyes, letting the words circle in his mind. Dream and George are tough, he reminds himself. And Techno would never let anything bad happen to any of them.

The thought gives him enough reassurance to face the hallway and the zombies wandering in it. A plan's already forming in his mind. "Come on," he says to the other two. "Let's go kill some zombies."

(1438 words)

Notes:

Thank you all for reading! <3

Chapter 41: You're A Fucking Genius

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: swearing, blood, weapons, mild anxiety

Techno raises an eyebrow. "What's your idea?"

The idea floats around in Bad's mind, solidifying as he keeps thinking about it. He looks at Skeppy, and then at the other two, wondering if they could pull it off or if it's too risky. But they're out of other options and this might be their only chance if they want to see their other friends again.

Bad takes a deep breath to get his thoughts in order. "Okay. First of all, we're gonna need a distraction."

And Bad explains his plan to the others. When he's done, Montero's eyes are wide, Techno is nodding a little reluctantly, and Skeppy's jaw drops as whips around to stare at Bad.

"Are you insane?" Skeppy exclaims, bringing both hands up to run them through his hair. Bad almost smiles at the familiar gesture, even as he remembers their current issue. And then he wants to curse himself for getting distracted by Skeppy's cuteness at a time like this.

"It's a good plan!" he says instead, waving his hand around the basement room. "We have all the supplies we need right here."

Skeppy covers his face with his hands. "We're gonna die," he whines and Bad doesn't know if he wants to roll his eyes or hug him. "I won't forgive you if we die."

"Skeppy," Bad says, grabbing his boyfriend's hands. "Look at me." Skeppy's eyes are wide and dark as they meet Bad's and his heart jolts at the way Skeppy's eyelashes brush his cheeks and make his eyes look even darker. "We're not gonna die, you muffinhead. I'll make sure of it."

Skeppy grumbles an answer that makes Bad half-shout "Language!". But he finally nods, squeezing Bad's hands. "Fine," he mutters. "So what do we do?"

It takes another ten minutes to assign roles, and then they have to gather supplies. Bad's heart pounds as he goes through the plan again in his mind, hoping it doesn't actually kill them like Skeppy thinks it will.

"This is the last one," Skeppy puffs as he sets down the last of their supplies. He's panting a little and the quiet sound shoots heat through Bad's fear. He remembers the cafeteria; he'd helped Skeppy learn how to shoot, his arms wrapped around him. For a few minutes there was peace and quiet until they had ended up fighting over who got to train with Techno first. And then that chaos had been interrupted by more chaos as zombies invaded the school.

Bad sighs. How had everything gone so wrong so quickly?

"Bad?" Skeppy says and Bad realizes he'd zoned out. Skeppy's clapping his hands in front of his face, and Bad bats them away with a frown.

"What is it?" he asks, sounding more annoyed than he means to with all the stress still making his heart pound.

Skeppy pouts and some of the stress melts away. "For someone who's so sure of their plan, you seem really stressed."

"I am not," Bad stammers, pinching the bridge of his nose and cursing Skeppy for knowing him so well. Well enough to read the stress running through him even as he tries to hide it. "You're the one who seems stressed, Skeppy, seeing as how you don't trust my plan."

Skeppy takes a step toward him, crossing his arms. "I trust you, though, Bad. Even if your plan is stupid."

"It is not - " Bad starts, but Skeppy fists his hands in his hoodie and pulls him in for a kiss. Bad tries to mumble a retort, but Skeppy just tugs him closer, winding his arms around his neck until Bad has no choice but to melt into him, his hands landing on Skeppy's hips.

When Skeppy finally pulls away, cheeks flushed, Bad has to catch his breath before mumbling, "That's not a way to win an argument, you cheater."

"It works, though," Skeppy says with a cheeky grin. It's contagious enough that Bad has to grin back, wondering when it was that his stress disappeared completely. Because at some point during their argument, the uncertainty he felt over their plan had completely melted away. Now, all he feels is determination and the need to protect his boyfriend from the monsters in the hallway.

"I hate you," Bad says, turning away, but his heart pounds for an entirely different reason when he catches the mischievous gleam in Skeppy's eyes.

"Everything okay over here?" Techno asks, joining them by the stairs. "Do you guys need a chaperone or something?"

Skeppy giggles, and Bad, who's been trying to compose himself, stammers to Techno, "Of course we don't need a chaperone."

Techno just shrugs, a smirk tugging at his lips. "You sound kind of defensive, Bad..."

"I do not!" Bad explodes, and Techno and Skeppy burst into laughter. Even Montero, who followed Techno, can't hold back his giggle and Bad's face flushes.

"Okay, we have a plan, guys, remember?" Bad says, trying to drag them away from their laughter. It still takes a few minutes and a lot of protests from Bad for everyone to calm down, but eventually, they all turn to face the stairs and the mood turns serious.

"Ready, guys?" Bad asks quietly, and everyone nods grimly. Skeppy suddenly looks so nervous that it makes Bad's heart squeeze and he wants to throw his arms around him. Instead, he just squeezes his hand and Skeppy nods at him again, gripping his knife tight in his other hand.

Techno's the one who opens the door, just enough for Bad to light a bunch of firecrackers and toss them as far down the hall as he can. Techno closes the door the second they hear the explosions, and Bad lets out a breath even though the worst isn't over.

Montero's gone pale, and Skeppy jumps with each explosion, dragging his hands over his face. "We're gonna die," he hisses at Bad, smacking him on the arm.

Techno shrugs before Bad can retort, flipping his knives between his fingers. "Worst comes to worst, we'll probably just set the entire school on fire. Maybe trigger a giant explosion that destroys everything. At least then we'll look cool when we walk out of the flames."

"Guys!" Bad snaps. "That's not going to happen. Not if we time it right."

"Speaking of..." Montero says, checking the bedazzled watch on his wrist. "We should get going."

The others nod, grabbing their weapons. Bad unstraps the gun at his back and holds it as tightly as he can. His tomahawk is at his belt if he needs it and all of his friends have their own weapons. They'll be fine, he tells himself, but he still double-checks that Skeppy and Montero remember how to use their knives, just in case. Until Skeppy whines at him that he knows what he's doing and Bad rolls his eyes, letting go of his hands. "Fine, but don't come running to me if you need help."

"Fine," Skeppy agrees and Bad sighs. Because he knows that he will always help Skeppy when he needs it, and Skeppy knows it too. So do Techno and Montero, based on the amused look they share. Bad glares at both of them before turning back to the door.

They're all ready when Techno opens the door again. And as they charge out, Bad braces himself for a wave of zombies. But...

"Oh my God, it actually worked," Skeppy says, sarcastically, but he looks relieved and the tiniest bit impressed. Because the firecrackers are acting as the distraction Bad hoped they would. He exhales, watching as the zombies crowd around the exploding firecrackers at the other end of the hall. The monsters don't even notice when Bad and his friends sneak by, even though Bad holds his breath and tightens his hold on his gun and Skeppy looks terrified.

They slip into another hallway and the zombies groans fade away until they can barely hear them anymore.

There's a beat of silence. Then Skeppy shouts, "Let's go!" and Bad claps a hand over his mouth to keep him quiet.

"Skeppy, you muffinhead," he hisses. "They can still hear us."

"Bad, you're a fucking genius," Skeppy says in a muffled voice, planting a kiss on his palm, and Bad's eyes widen as he lets go of him. But Skeppy continues, "Your plan actually worked, we're out of the basement!"

"Now we just have to make sure this place doesn't burn to the ground," Techno says, amusement in his eyes, and Bad rolls his eyes, even as he laughs despite himself.

"That was the most stressful thing I've ever done," Montero says, eyes wide and glistening. "And I've performed in front of, like, millions."

"But we survived," says Skeppy, bouncing on his feet. He grabs Bad's hand and squeezes it so hard it hurts. "Now we just have to find the others."

There's hope blooming in Bad's chest, and for the first time, he can see them surviving. He's too giddy to pay attention to the hallway around them, too focused on Skeppy's excitement as he dances around the hall to notice the growl that sounds from behind them.

"Bad," Techno warns him, a second before a stray zombie lurches toward them, swinging a hand at Skeppy, who shrieks. Bad's eyes widen, his reflexes slow with surprise, and Techno curses as he grabs his own knife, ready to throw it at the zombie.

"Skeppy!" Bad cries, cursing himself for not noticing, for not being able to protect him...

A bullet hits the zombie in the head. Blood sprays and its body drops to the floor, landing in a broken heap. Skeppy's breath catches, tears glimmering in his eyes as he leans into Bad, shaking. Bad's shaking, too, both from the zombie and from the sudden bullet that killed it.

But especially from the familiar person standing at the other end of the hallway, still pointing a gun at the zombie and looking both terrified and relieved. And from the familiar people surrounding him.

Montero's smiling widely and Bad gasps, making Skeppy glance up from his chest to look for his savior. When he spots them, he grins through his tears and looks up at Bad, who squeezes him a little tighter, thanking the universe that his friends are alright.

"Guess we're not gonna have to find the others," Techno says, smiling, as Karl, Sapnap, and Quackity burst into a run to meet them.

(1739 words)

Notes:

Just an update, might not be able to post this Sunday because I'm super busy with school but I'll definitely post next week!

Thank you to everyone who's been reading this <3<3

Chapter 42: No Time Like The Present

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: swearing, anxiety, blood, zombies, weapons

"You," Karl says, pointing at Sapnap. "Stay here. Me and Q will go scope out the premises."

"But I have a plan - " Sapnap starts to protest, but Karl cuts him off with a peck on the lips. He squeezes Sapnap's bicep and helps him lean up against a wall and eventually Sapnap gives in.

"If you get so much as a scratch on you..." Sapnap says, eyes narrowed.

"He won't, cause I'm protecting him," Quackity says, glaring at him as he brandishes his broomstick. Even though they both know he's actually not a terrible fighter, Karl and Sapnap exchange a look and Karl has to stifle a giggle at the gleam of laughter in Sapnap's eyes.

Until Sapnap winces a little as he shifts, and Karl's smile fades. "Be quick about it," Sapnap mutters, trying to play off the flicker of pain. But Karl's heart tightens as he looks at him, and the doubts he's been ignoring trickle into his mind.

What happens if they can't find a cure for him?

Cold fear hits him and he has to shut his eyes, to block out the thoughts and worries. When he opens his eyes again, Sapnap is looking at him, brows furrowed in concern. He steps toward him but Karl moves just out of reach, shooting him a smile. "We'll be back before you can miss us," he says. Then, he grabs Quackity's arm and drags him around a corner into a hallway full of zombies.

Karl stifles a shriek as the nearest zombie swings at them but Quackity blocks the attack with his broomstick and shoves the monster away. "What was that?" he asks, his tone more worried than accusing, even though Karl's just thrown them into danger on complete impulse. Even though Q could have been killed defending him.

"I'm so sorry, Alex," he starts, but Quackity grabs his arm and starts to pull him toward the open door of a classroom.

"This isn't the time to apologize, Karlos. We have zombies on our asses and if you don't want your boyfriend to follow us cause he thinks we're in danger than we should be quiet."

Karl doesn't know why, but the words bring a lump to his throat, and he nods mutely. Quackity drags him into an empty classroom, checks the corners for zombies, then shuts the door behind them. A suffocating silence suddenly fills the room, and all Karl can think is that they left Sapnap alone and injured to fend for himself while they went on a stupid hunt for zombies.

Like Quackity can read his mind, he mutters, "He'll be fine. He can defend himself even if he's injured and we left him in an empty corner with no zombies around. Worse case scenario, he can get to a classroom and block them out."

Karl tries to nod, but the words spill out before he can stop them. "We shouldn't be here. We shouldn't have left him. He's dying, Quackity."

Quackity's mouth snaps shut at the word and something flashes in his eyes, too quick for Karl to decipher it. He steps forward, putting a hand on Karl's shoulder, voice softening. "You heard what he said. According to Techno, there's a cure. We'll find it. If it's the last thing we do."

Karl trembles, and he's suddenly glad for Q's warm hand on his shoulder. He feels like he might collapse without it. "Thanks, Alex. Really."

Quackity nods sagely. "Trust me, Karlos, we'll get through this," he says. He must see something in Karl's eyes because he puts down his broomstick and beckons him in for a hug. Karl melts into his arms gladly, burying his face into his shoulder as he lets out a sob. And then, he's crying and Quackity is rubbing his back reassuringly and muttering that it'll be okay. That they'll find a cure and Sapnap will survive and they'll all live happily after.

He doesn't know how long it takes him to calm down only that, eventually, some instinct tells him it's time to leave the classroom and face the zombies in the hall. He's left Sapnap on his own for too long.

"Better now?" Quackity asks, and Karl manages a smile.

"Never been better," he says, stepping out of Quackity's arms. "Thanks, dude," he adds, meeting his Quackity's eyes. "You're a good friend."

"Okay, enough with the sappy talk," Quackity says, ushering him out of the classroom. But Karl swears that his cheeks redden a little, and he stumbles over his next words. "We need to save your boyfriend, don't we?"

"Yeah, we do," Karl says, unsheafing the knife at his belt. He hasn't used it since Techno gave it to him but... "No time like the present," he murmurs to himself, as Quackity throws open the door to their classroom.

A shadow falls over them, and Karl brings the knife up instinctively, his blood going cold. But when he catches sight of the figure leaning against the doorway to the classroom, his heart jumps into his throat and he almost drops his knife. "Sapnap?"

"We had a plan, asshole," Quackity snaps, raising his broomstick threateningly. "What are you doing here?"

"Oh, yeah?" Sapnap retorts, even though his eyes never leave Karl's. And Karl finds himself shivering under the intensity of his gaze. He's seen Sapnap mad before, but this is a different kind of look. One mixed with worry and... "And what was that plan?" Sapnap continues, snapping Karl out of his thoughts. "Rush into a bunch of zombies like two idiots and then hole up in a classroom to wait it out?"

"To be fair," Karl says. "That wasn't exactly the plan." The words come instinctively, even though he can barely think with Sapnap looking at him like that, even though there's heat pooling in his stomach and fear rushing through his blood.

Sapnap raises an eyebrow. "Kinda seems like it was. You guys didn't even kill any zombies. What happened? Did you get hurt?"

"We're fine," Karl reassures him, stepping up to take his hand. Fire seems to course through him where Sapnap's hand meets his. "Didn't mean to leave you alone though."

Sapnap rolls his eyes, even though a smile tugs at his lips. "You can apologize later, nimrod. Did you guys accomplish anything with your stupid plan or can we finally try mine?"

Quackity opens his mouth, probably to shoot down whatever Sapnap's plan is, when a voice echoes through the hallway, and all of them freeze.

Karl's heart skips a beat, his skin tingling as he glances toward his friends. "Did you guys hear that?"

Sapnap's gone just as still as he has and Quackity's wide-eyed. "Was that Skeppy?"

Karl claps a hand over his mouth to keep from giggling hysterically. Because suddenly, Quackity's words come back to him. According to Techno, there's a cure. The last time he'd seen Skeppy, Techno had been with him.

And even though a part of him feels bad for focusing on that when his other friends are alive, if there's any chance that Techno might have a cure to Sapnap's injury...

He's grabbed Sapnap and Quackity before he can finish the thought and doesn't even remember the zombies in the hall as he drags them out of the classroom. The three of them stop outside of the classroom, and relief bubbles through Karl as he catches sight of the group of people at the other end of the hall.

Minus Dream and George, all their friends are there. Karl spots Techno and his heart pounds in his ears. He can save Sapnap. They just have to reach Techno and then Sapnap will be okay.

"Holy shit," Quackity says suddenly. There's a zombie walking toward the group, and none of them have noticed. Panic hits a Karl like a brick, and he's fumbling for a weapon before he knows what he's doing.

"Karl," Sapnap says, and Karl freezes, Sapnap's voice calming his mind enough for him to think. He meets Sapnap's eyes, bright and green and trusting. "Take this," Sapnap says, placing his rifle in Karl's hands. The metal feels cold and strange, but Karl can't think of anything except for the encouragement in Sapnap's eyes. "Do what I showed you in the cafeteria. You hit a bullseye, remember?"

"You showed me a lot in the cafeteria," Karl mumbles, feeling his face heat as he remembers what had happened after Sapnap had dragged him into a classroom near the caf. But Sapnap just rolls his eyes, and motions for him to aim the rifle.

The world seems to slow around Karl as he points the rifle at the zombie. The monster swings for Skeppy, and both Bad and Techno are too slow to stop it. Karl's heart thuds in his ears, but he lifts the rifle, remembering Sapnap's arms around him, his hands gentle as he helped him aim. The ghost of Sapnap's fingers over his as he pulled the trigger.

Karl shoots, the sound loud in his ears, and watches in slow-motion as the bullet hits the zombie in the head. Blood spurts, the zombie collapses, and Skeppy runs into Bad's arms. But Bad catches Karl's eye, and there's so much relief there that it makes Karl feel dizzy. Or maybe he's just lightheaded from shooting a gun. The familiar fear fills him, and he drops the rifle as his hands start to shake.

Warm hands cover his and Karl looks up, right into Sapnap's green eyes. "Another one of your talents, huh?" Sapnap says, arching an eyebrow as Karl melts into his arms. Sapnap kisses the top of his head, making Karl's heart tremble for a different reason.

But he makes himself pull away and loop an arm around Sapnap's waist to guide him down the hallway. "Come on, nimrod. You're not cured yet."

Quackity's ahead of them, already deep in argument with Bad, who's still holding Skeppy protectively. Karl sends Quackity a silent thanks for distracting the other two. Because it's Techno he needs to talk to. Techno, who's already walking toward them, looking grim.

"Let's get him to the caf," Techno says as he reaches them. "There should be some med kits there, and hopefully there won't be any zombies. I don't know where Dream and George are," he adds before Sapnap can ask. "But you won't be able to find them if you're dead."

Sapnap clenches his jaw, but he nods, and lets Techno flank his other side to help him toward the caf. When they finally reach the double doors, the giant room is empty of zombies. Karl lets Techno lead Sapnap toward a corner of the caf, where he orders Sapnap to lie down while he finds him medicine.

A wave of jitteriness fills Karl, the familiar panic that makes him want to do something stupid. But he clamps his hands into fists and forces himself to breathe. A moment later, he hears the others join him. Quackity puts an arm around his shoulders and Bad squeezes his arm.

"He'll be okay, Karl," Bad says. "We've survived this long."

They have. But, Karl wonders, how much longer can they all survive?

(1864 words)

Notes:

Hope y'all enjoyed <3

Chapter 43: A Cure

Chapter Text

Sapnap can feel Karl's worried gaze burning into him, even from across the cafeteria. He closes his eyes, willing his heartbeat to calm, and tightens his hands into fists. A bolt of pain shoots through his arm, but he ignores it. The pain is nothing compared to the way he heart squeezes when he thinks of the tears in Karl's eyes.

He'd heard Karl's sobs when he'd found the classroom him and Quackity were hiding in. Each sound had broken his heart, especially when he knew he was the reason Karl was crying.

"Hey," Techno says from above him, and Sapnap snaps his gaze to him, his heartrate increasing.

"You find anything?" Sapnap asks, his voice quieter than he's hoping for. Even though he knows it's stupid, hope shoots through him as he meets Techno's eyes.

Techno seems to hesitate before he kneels at Sapnap's side. Fear brushes through Sapnap at the silence. But then, he catches sight of the thoughtful look in Techno's gaze. The one that says he might have a plan.

"What is it?" Sapnap almost growls, struggling to sit up. Techno helps him lean against a wall, that calculating look still in his eyes.

"I need to tell you something," Techno starts, and Sapnap feels like his heart might combust. "Ever since I realized you got bit, I've been looking for a cure. And there is a cure. I just haven't found it yet."

"There's a cure?" Sapnap breathes, his brain too full to make sense of everything.

Techno nods. "Before I met Montero and Quackity, I was with some other guys. One of them got bit and we all thought he was done for. But one of the other guys who was some kind of chemistry genius figured out a cure. A few days later, our group got attacked and we had to leave some stuff behind. Including the cure."

Sapnap realizes what he's trying to say before he says it. "So the cure might still be there?"

Techno nods again. "The place we were hiding out in was a community center. It's not far from here, but that's not the problem. I went there when I found out about your bite, but it's been overrun by zombies. Way more than we have here."

The hope that was building in Sapnap disappears, his heart sinking. "We can't fight that many zombies. We can't even leave the school in the first place. Especially with Dream and George missing. It's impossible."

"Right," Techno says slowly and Sapnap raises his brows at his tone. "About that. Dream and George aren't missing. They're just in a classroom on the other side of this floor. And blocked in by zombies."

"You knew where they were?" Sapnap sputters, caught between anger and relief. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because I needed to get you here and I couldn't have if you knew where they were. Don't worry," he adds when Sapnap's eyes turn stormy. "They're fine, trust me. I'll send Bad and Skeppy after them, but you need to rest. We still have to figure out how we're gonna get you to that community center. Montero's already working on a plan."

Sapnap swallows and he's never felt more torn. Even with his stupid injury, he wants to run out of the caf and go find Dream and George. But a part of him knows that Dream will never let anything happen to either of them. That'll have to be enough until Bad and Skeppy get to them.

"You're sure they're safe?" he says quietly, somehow a million times more worried about this than about getting his own cure.

"No doubt about it," Techno says, sheafing his knife, and Sapnap feels inclined to believe him.

Dream's POV

"This sucks," George whines, flopping down on the floor.

Dream snorts, moving to sit next to him. "Come on. Being stuck alone in a room with me can't be that bad."

George glares at him but his cheeks are flushed pink and Dream smirks at him. "This isn't the time for jokes, Dream. We need to find a way out of here."

Dream knows he should be taking it seriously but a part of him isn't ready to yet. He doesn't want to think of Sapnap, who's injured on the roof, or of Bad and the others who are trapped in the basement, blocked in by zombies. It's easier to flirt with George, or to annoy the crap out of him, until they both forget what's happening outside the classroom.

So Dream shrugs. "Sounds like you're eager to leave, George. What, do you not like me or something?"

George rolls his eyes, shifting to lie on his back and stare at the ceiling. "No, I don't like you."

"You love me," Dream says, lips tugging up as George goes red again. But Dream's own cheeks are burning, his stomach a pit of nerves. All things considered, being alone in a classroom with George should be the least of his worries, but he suddenly can't think of anything but how quiet it is and how peaceful George looks lying on his back, his hands tucked into his sleeves and resting on his stomach.

On instinct, Dream finds himself lying down next to George, their arms brushing and sending heat rippling through him. "Okay, we should actually come up with a plan," he says, even though it's the last thing he wants to do.

But George puts a hand on his arm to shut him up and Dream goes still. "Not yet. Let's just... chill. For a second."

His voice is quiet and there's something in it that makes Dream's heart ache. George must be as worried about the others as he is. As scared of leaving the classroom as he is.

He'd promised to protect George during the apocalypse and he's gonna keep that promise if it's the last thing he does. If worst comes to worst and Sapnap...

He can't finish the thought without a pang of sadness hitting him like a punch in the gut. But if it happens, he can't lose George, too. He won't let them be split apart.

George interrupts his thoughts by sighing loudly and shifting to lie on his side. Dream goes still as George's warmth fits against his body, his small hand curling up on Dream's chest. "What do you wanna do once this apocalypse is over?"

He asks the question casually but Dream can hear the hope and fear behind the words. It makes him place a hand over George's, squeezing slightly. "Well... first things first, we have our dates to go on."

George hits him lightly and Dream chuckles, earning a beautiful grin out of his boyfriend that makes his breath go faint. "Then, I wanna go back to our apartment. If it's still standing."

"That's such a boring answer," George says, and it's Dream's turn to pinch him.

"What do you wanna do, then? Sleep for an entire week?"

"No," George says like that's a ridiculous idea. "I wanna spend more time with you and Sapnap. I wanna go see movies and play video games and do other random stuff like that."

Dream feels a lump building in his throat, but he manages to choke out, "And that's not too wholesome for you?"

George rolls his eyes, snuggling further into Dream's side. "I can be wholesome when I want to, idiot. You're just mad my answer was better."

"You wish," Dream mutters and George smirks.

For a few minutes, it's peacefully quiet. Even the zombies groans have faded and Dream feels like he can finally think, like his thoughts aren't getting jumbled by other noise. But each thought makes the panic in him rise. What if they can't cure Sapnap? What if the apocalypse never ends? What if...

George plants a soft kiss on his neck and Dream's thoughts vanish. "What was that?" he asks, his voice quiet and hoarse and a little unsteady.

"I can literally hear you panicking," George says. "Thought you might need a distraction."

And suddenly the thoughts filling his mind have nothing to do with zombies and everything to do with George and the implication of his words. The tension that's been lingering between them since that night in the forest seems to thicken and the place where George kissed him burns. But whatever restlessness kicks his heart into a steady beat goes completely still as George traces a hand down his chest and towards the planes of his stomach.

Even through his hoodie, Dream feels George's touch like a trail of fire. He sucks in a breath as George settles his hand on his hip, hovering dangerously near to...

"George," Dream says, like a warning. But he doesn't know if he's warning him or George, doesn't know why he's warning either of them. George meets his gaze, a familiar challenge in his dark gaze, as he traces a hand over Dream's cheek.

Desire ripples through Dream, stronger than his fear and worries, and he sits up suddenly, tugging George to him and locking their lips together. George smiles into the kiss like it was what he was waiting for and Dream would have called him an idiot if he could form the words. Or any thoughts. All that's left is George and his soft lips and the small hands that drift low enough to elicit a gasp from Dream even as he tries to control himself. But it's almost impossible to when George pulls away, smirks, and moves his hands to graze the skin at Dream's waist, below the hem of his hoodie.

"Off," George says, the word a quiet command, and Dream finds himself tugging off his hoodie and shirt before he can stop himself. Blood rushes through him as George traces a finger down Dream's bare chest. And suddenly, Dream can't remember what he was ever worrying about or why he hadn't kissed George the moment they'd entered the classroom.

George raises his head again, his eyes dark and bright at the same time, and Dream kisses him hard, biting his lip and almost groaning when George gasps. He can feel himself being drawn further and further under George's spell, can feel the world disappear until all that's left is George, his hands cool on his chest, his cheeks flushed, his smirk a promise that Dream will get everything he's ever wanted.

Dream feels lightheaded as he pulls away from George to trail kisses down the flushed skin of his neck, hovering over George's pulse with his mouth. George inhales sharply, whispering, "Dream," and Dream feels the world disappear completely in his mind.

That's when - somewhere between the pounding of his heart and George's quiet whispers - he hears gunshots sound from outside their classroom and unfamiliar voices yelling in the hallway.

(1804 words)

Chapter 44: Bring Them Back

Notes:

Hi guys, sorry for not posting in a bit but I'm back! Hope you enjoy this chapter <3

Chapter Text

Tw: mild swearing, weapons, zombies

"You - you want us to go find Dream and George?" Skeppy says, voice trembling a little as he looks between Bad and Techno. "Like, go through all of the zombies out in the hall and find them in some random classroom?"

"Pretty much," Techno confirms, and Skeppy feels like he's been punched in the stomach. He looks to Bad, wide-eyed, but his boyfriend looks distant, like he's already coming up with a plan. A plan that might get both of them killed. Of course, he cares about Dream and George, but...

"And no one else can go?" Skeppy almost whines. Bad shoots him an exasperated look and Skeppy glares back at him. At least he's finally got his attention.

"We can do this, Skeppy," Bad says, reaching out to put a hand on his shoulder. "We just need to come up with a plan." He sighs when Skeppy still doesn't look convinced. "What, you wanna just leave Dream and George to the zombies then?"

"No," Skeppy sighs, pulling his sleeves over his hands. But he still glares at Techno, who just smirks back at him. And Skeppy ignores the small flare of pride that Techno trusts him and Bad enough to conduct a rescue mission while he's busy keeping Sapnap alive.

Speaking of Sapnap...

He's still in the corner of the caf, leaning against the wall. His good arm is wrapped around Karl's shoulders, and Karl is leaning against his chest. Even from here, Skeppy can see the glimmer of tears in Karl's eyes. But there's also determination there. Quackity's pacing next to them, eyes focused. Apparently, Sapnap's already told them about the cure.

Techno had told him and Bad, too. And when Skeppy asked Techno what happened to the guys he was with, Techno just said it hadn't worked out and he'd left. Curiosity still burns in Skeppy, but his worries are currently a bit more important.

"Fine," Skeppy says, turning to face Bad. "What's your genius plan, then?"

Bad shrugs, blushing. "I don't have one yet. I thought we would just figure it out on the way."

Skeppy stares at him, and then turns to Techno. "Please, help us. We're gonna die."

"I have total faith that both of you will probably come back alive," Techno declares, unhelpfully. "And plans are for nerds anyway. Just wing it."

"You want us to just wing fighting through like a million zombies?" Skeppy exclaims, but Bad squeezes his shoulder.

"Grab a weapon, Skeppy. We should go as soon as we can. Every second that we waste, Dream and George are in danger."

"Bad," a voice says from behind them and Skeppy whips around. His heart speeds up in his chest when he sees Sapnap standing in front of them, leaning on Karl for support. Quackity stands a little bit behind them, trying not to look too interested in the conversation and fidgeting with his broomstick.

"Bring them back," Sapnap says quietly, and Skeppy remembers suddenly that Sapnap is best friends with Dream and George and that this is probably harder for him then for anyone else. Karl squeezes his arm and Quackity grumbles something.

"What was that?" Bad asks Quackity, who sighs loudly.

"I said," Quackity repeats, his cheeks redder then usual. "Make sure George - I mean, both of them, obviously, don't die. Or I'll kill you."

"I didn't know you cared so much," Sapnap notes, and Quackity flushes.

"I don't, asshole, I'm just saying."

Sapnap and Bad both roll their eyes, but Bad promises both of them, "I will. Skeppy will, too."

Sapnap nods, even though there's worry hiding in his gaze. But he claps Bad on the shoulder and nods at Skeppy before limping back to the corner. Karl smiles and salutes at them, following Sapnap. And Quackity pauses in front of both of them, his cheeks still red.

"Don't die either, assholes," he says, and Skeppy swears that there are tears in his eyes. Bad sighs and pulls Quackity into a hug, patting him on the back and promising that they'll be back. And even though Quackity grumbles, he doesn't pull away until Bad lets go.

And just like that, they're leaving. Skeppy tries to shove down his nerves as he grabs the gun that Bad hands him. It shakes a little in his hands, and he tries to channel the recklessness that filled him outside the basement when he fought with Bad against all those zombies. It'll be fine, he thinks, gripping the gun tightly.

"Try not to die," Techno says as they stand at the doors to the caf. "Bad, try to take out as many zombies as you can. It'll make it easier when we leave for the community center. And, Skeppy..." Skeppy straightens, heart thudding in his chest. Techno gives him a half-smile and claps him on the shoulder. "You're a better fighter than you think." Skeppy feels his cheeks warm as Techno puts a hand on the door handles. "Good luck," Techno says and yanks open the doors.

Bad grabs Skeppy's hand and pulls him out of the caf as Techno shuts the doors behind them. Skeppy swings around, looking for zombies, his heart in his throat. But the hallway is mostly empty and Bad exhales in relief.

"Come on, Skeppy," he says, intertwining their fingers and holding on a little tighter as they start making their way down the hallway.

It's scary quiet as they move and Skeppy has to keep his teeth from chattering with nerves. Every time they hear a noise, his heart jumps and he has the weirdest urge to start an argument with Bad, just to give them something else to think about. Just to fill the quiet in the hall. But that would probably just attract more zombies, so he keeps his mouth shut and just squeezes Bad's hand a little tighter.

Skeppy almost yelps as they round a corner, but nothing comes at them. And Bad just sighs, turning around to look at Skeppy, who realizes then that he's squeezing Bad's hand a little tightly. Especially when Bad says, "If you don't stop squeezing my hand, it's gonna fall off, Skeppy."

Skeppy grumbles a small, "Sorry", and loosens his grip a little. But he can't help but add, "It's not my fault you decided to drag both of us out here. In the middle of a million zombies. Alone."

"We're not in the middle of a million zombies," Bad says, gesturing at the mostly empty hallway around them. "Actually, it's kinda weird how quiet it is."

"Don't say that," Skeppy whines, feeling goosebumps prick his arms. "I'm already on edge."

But Bad frowns at the hallway ahead of them, squinting. "Do you - do you hear that, Skeppy?"

Skeppy freezes, eyes wide, and Bad bursts into laughter. Skeppy swings around to look at his boyfriend, eyes still wide with shock, and yanks his hand out of Bad's. "Bad, you jerk. You scared the shit out of me!"

"Language," Bad complains, but he's still grinning and Skeppy wants to scream at him.

"Be quiet," he hisses instead. "If we die because you were too busy laughing at my fear... a fear that's super justified, by the way..."

"I know, I know," Bad says, wrapping an arm around Skeppy's shoulders. Despite himself, Skeppy leans into his warmth. "I'm sorry, Skeppy. I'll be quiet."

"Good," Skeppy shoots back, even as Bad slips his other arm around him and Skeppy melts into the hug.

Just as Skeppy closes his eyes, resting his chin on Bad's shoulder, a gunshot sounds through the hall. Skeppy's eyes shoot open and he pulls away from Bad, who's gone pale.

"What the hell was that?" Skeppy asks but Bad's eyes are shining.

"It could be Dream and George," he says, squeezing Skeppy's hand. And just like that, they take off sprinting down the hall, towards the gunshots.

But when they skid around a corner, they find themselves in a hallway full of zombies. And above the groans, more gunshots sound, coming from two unfamiliar people in the middle of the monsters. Both are tall, one of them with wavy blond hair and the other with curly brown hair, and both of them are panic-shouting as the zombies close in around them.

Skeppy meets Bad's eyes, and a silent agreement passes between them. And even though Skeppy's stomach goes tight with nerves and his gun shakes in his hand, he nods at his boyfriend.

Together, eyes locked on the strangers who need help, they charge into the herd of zombies.

(1426 words)

Chapter 45: We're Sticking Together

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: angst, blood, weapons, zombies, swearing, kidnapping (this is gonna be explained later)

Bad doesn't regret charging into the herd of zombies until the strangers spot them.

Him and Skeppy fight their way through the zombies, Bad swinging his tomahawk, Skeppy using his gun to clobber any monster that gets close. But even as they take down zombies, more swarm them. The strangers are still yelling at each other when Bad locks eyes with the blond one. His eyes widen and he stops yelling to shake his friend.

Bad puts his arms up, trying his best to show that he's peaceful, even while he's holding a tomahawk that's dripping blood. Skeppy pauses, too, to watch the exchange.

Bad isn't sure what he thinks is gonna happen. But the last thing he's expecting is for the blond guy to grab the other guy's arm and drag him out of the fray of zombies until they're at the other end of the hall. It almost looks like...

"Are they running away?" Skeppy explodes as the strangers glance back at them once then disappear around a corner. Leaving them with an endless hoard of zombies.

"Those muffinheads!" Bad says through gritted teeth as he takes down another zombie. "We were trying to help them! They can't just run away!"

"If I ever find out who they are..." Skeppy says, anger sparking in his eyes. Then, he frowns like he's just remembered something. "Who the hell are they anyway?"

Bad doesn't even have time to language him, not when the zombies keep coming at them. "Skeppy, we'll figure that out later. Right now, we need fight our way out of this. We still need to find Dream and George, remember?"

Skeppy's eyes widen. "Do you think Dream and George know about them?"

Bad's heart thuds in his chest and he fights a little more viciously. The strangers didn't seem all that threatening but they do have guns. Not that that means anything if they don't know how to use them.

"What if they know about Dream and George?" Skeppy is saying, sounding panicked and Bad grabs his hand, squeezing it reassuringly.

"It's fine," he says, trying to sound more confident than he feels. "We just need to find Dream and George first, as soon as we get out of here."

"Fine," Skeppy mutters. He jams his gun into a zombie's face so angrily that it makes Bad smile. But the smile fades as he looks down the hall, wondering who the strangers are and what they want. He never really trusted people before the apocalypse, and now...

He just hopes that him and Skeppy can fight off the zombies without getting hurt. And that Dream and George can hold out until they do.

George's POV

"What the muffin was that?" George asks, too stunned to realize he's used Bad's version of a curse word. Dream is frozen, too, his green eyes wide as he stares at the door. Gunshots still echo in the hallway beyond, those unfamiliar voices still shouting, and a shiver runs through George as he wonders who might be in the school and if they're allies or something else.

"Fuck," Dream mutters, scrambling away from George to grab his shirt and hoodie. He looks as shaken as George feels, but there's something else in his eyes. Almost like... regret.

George feels it too, especially when Dream tugs his hoodie on and his tanned chest disappears. Especially when he remembers why he'd kissed Dream in the first place. He wanted to forget about the zombies and his friends and the danger outside of the classroom but now, he realizes, he can't. Not if whoever's in the hallway might be a danger to them.

Dream stands and reaches out his hand. And George, sighing and grumbling, takes it, letting his boyfriend pull him to his feet.

When George looks up, Dream's eyes are locked on his, dark and intense. "What?" George asks, feeling his cheeks warm as he remembers their kiss, his lips on Dream's chest, and...

Dream's lips tug up and George realizes he's been staring at his mouth. "Focus, George," he says, smirking, and George can't help but roll his eyes and smack him on the arm. But Dream's smile fades as he looks back toward the door. "I've been thinking, George."

George's breath catches at the words, but he forces himself to keep calm. "You want us to go see who's out there?"

"They could be dangerous," Dream says, squeezing George's hand. "But if the others don't know about them... And we need to look for the others too. Maybe whoever's out there has already cleared a path through the zombies. That might make it easier for us to get out of here."

The yelling and gunshots are already fading, like whoever's out in the hall is moving away. Dream has a point, George thinks, even if the idea makes his heart pound in his chest. And if they can get out of their classroom, then maybe they can find Bad and the others and make their way to the roof to find Sapnap.

The thought of Sapnap injured makes George's heart sink, but he does his best to ignore it. "What do we do if we run into whoever's out there?"

Dream's eyes are troubled as he meets George's gaze. "We'll figure that out when we get to it. Hopefully, they're friendly."

George scoffs. "Hopefully?"

Dream rolls his eyes. "Just... follow my lead."

George opens his mouth to argue but Dream shoots him a glare and squeezes his hand a little harder. George smirks, grabs his crossbow from off the floor, and follows Dream to the door.

Dream presses his ear to the door, giving it a few seconds before he nods at George. George readies his crossbow and Dream places a hand on the door handle. George holds his breath, hoping that they won't run into any zombies waiting outside their door. Dream mouths a countdown and yanks opens the door, slicing at the air with his knife. George points his crossbow in each direction, expecting an onslaught of zombies. But the hallway is almost empty, and George and Dream both lower their weapons.

George raises his eyebrows at Dream. "Where are they?"

"How the hell am I supposed to know?" Dream says, scanning the hallway. "Maybe whoever was out there lead them away. That's good for us."

"Yeah, obviously," George says, and starts down the hallway toward the basement.

Dream grabs his arm before he can walk a few steps. "Where do you think you're going, idiot? There could still be zombies."

"Bad and the others are trapped in the basement, right? Shouldn't we go get them?"

"Yeah, but be careful," Dream says, taking his hand and interlocking their fingers. "We're sticking together."

"Fine," George grumbles. And even though he basically drags Dream down the hallway with him, he's glad for the warmth of Dream's hand, and his neck feels hot at the touch. Especially as they near the basement door, and his heart starts thudding in his chest.

The basement door is cracked open and there's smoke wafting out. Actually, there's smoke down the entire hallway and George wonders how he didn't notice it until then.

"What, did they start a fire or something?" Dream wonders aloud, but he sounds worried as he lets go of George's hand and starts down the steps to the basement. "They're not in here," he calls up a few seconds later, and George is torn between relief that Dream is okay and worry that Bad and the others have disappeared.

Dream appears at the bottom of the steps a second later. "I found these though," he says, holding up what look like firecrackers.

"A distraction," George says, piecing it together. "They used the firecrackers to draw away the zombies and escape. That's why there's smoke everywhere. They're probably long gone."

"So where'd they go?" Dream asks. "The roof, maybe?"

"Maybe," George agrees, grabbing Dream's hand when he reaches the top of the stairs. "Come on."

"Wait up, idiot," Dream says, tugging on George's hand to slow him down a little. "Do you hear that?"

George's heart is thudding so loud in his chest that he barely hears what Dream is talking about. His thoughts are on Sapnap and his injury and the worry tightening in his stomach. But then, below the distant groans of zombies, he hears more yelling. Gunshots. And voices that are familiar.

"Is that Bad?" George asks, his voice almost a whisper.

Dream nods mutely, tightening his grip on his knife. "Sounds like they might be in trouble."

But George isn't listening. His hand slides out of Dream's and he's running towards Bad and Skeppy before he can think twice about it. Dream shouts something after him, but he's too focused on the zombies ahead and on the familiar bickering of his friends. Maybe they've found Sapnap, he thinks. Maybe his friends are okay.

He wonders vaguely if he shouldn't have left Dream behind, but then he's reached the corner of the hallway and it's too late. And within the hoard of zombies, he catches a glimpse of Skeppy's dark hair and Bad's glasses and relief fills his chest.

He's holding his crossbow so tight it hurts as he lifts it to aim at the zombies surrounding them. Everything around him fades as he shoots, taking down one of the zombies. Bad and Skeppy haven't noticed him yet through the crowd.

But as he lowers his crossbow to reload it, he feels hands grab his arms, and someone yanks him backwards.

Dream's POV

Dream's too slow to stop George from slipping away from him. And even as he feels panic burn through him as George sprints toward the voices, he mostly just feels relief.

Because those are Bad and Skeppy's voices. And if they're alive, then maybe they've found Sapnap. Or can at least help them get to the roof.

Dream slides out one of knives, about to follow George, when he hears a groan behind him. He whirls around to find a small group of zombies lurching toward him.

Dream sighs, squares his shoulders, and prepares to take them down. But just then, he hears a shriek that makes his blood go cold. Suddenly, the zombies in front of him don't matter.

He whips around just in time to see two strangers grab George by the arms and drag him toward a set of doors that lead outside. George's crossbow falls to the floor as he struggles against them, and suddenly all Dream can see is red. Anger at the strangers and fear spike through him and he's sprinting down the hallway before he's even had time to register the strangers' faces.

But he's not fast enough. George and the strangers disappear through the doors and, when Dream bursts outside, he's just in time to see George get shoved into an old van. The engine starts and Dream lets out a desperate shout as the van speeds away, taking George with it.

(1835 words)

Notes:

Comments are always appreciated!! Hope y'all enjoyed <3

Chapter 46: He's Gone

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: angst, swearing, weapons, zombies, kidnapping

Dream doesn't feel it when he falls to his knees. The van's already long gone, but he stays staring after it, staring after the people who took George from him. Confusion, anger, worry, cloud his mind and he can't think through the whirlwind of thoughts assaulting him.

The groans of zombies surround him and he doesn't want to get up, doesn't want to fight them. But a small, rational part of him forces him to get to his feet. Wherever George's been taken, no one's gonna save him if Dream gets taken out by zombies. And he will save him.

Dream slices his knife through the nearest zombie, suddenly a million times angrier. He'd promised to protect George, and he hadn't been able to. He stabs another zombie, clenching his jaw. He'd let George down.

He grunts as a zombie almost runs into him and he has to push it back so that he can get a clear shot at its head. But he can barely focus on the fight and zombies are closing in on him. He's not gonna make it if he doesn't get a grip.

He shoves against the nearest zombie and rushes toward the school, slamming the doors behind him. The zombies crowd around them, and Dream manages to drag some nearby desks and chairs to keep them out. But there's groans behind him, too, groans and gunshots...

That's when he remembers that Bad and Skeppy are still fighting in the hallway.

Ignoring the handful of zombies around him, Dream takes off toward the big group of zombies surrounding his friends. Bad and Skeppy are still swinging and they've managed to cut down a lot of the monsters. But there's still more, and Dream doesn't even think as he rushes into the mob, slicing at the two nearest zombies.

Bad spots him almost immediately, and his eyes shine with relief and then with a question. A question that Dream doesn't want to answer, but knows he's gonna have to. As soon as he takes down the zombies that are left.

Soon, there's only a line of zombies between them. Dream takes out two with his knives, Skeppy bashes his rifle into one, and Bad spins and lets his tomahawk fly, pinning the last zombie to the wall.

Dream's breathing hard, sweat dripping down his back. But he manages to hold back his panic until Bad and Skeppy turn to him.

The second he locks eyes with them, he bursts into tears.

Bad's POV

Bad knows something is wrong the moment Dream shows up to help them. Alone.

He fights too viciously, a distant look in his eyes, and Bad feels his heart plummet at the thought of what might have gone wrong. But they manage to keep the zombies from surrounding them completely, and Bad manages to keep the panic out of his mind until all the zombies are down.

That's when Dream starts crying. Or sobbing, more like it.

"Muffins," Bad breaths, rushing to Dream's side. Dream falls to his knees, green eyes shining with tears, his sobs hoarse and desperate. Skeppy looks, wide-eyed, at Bad, but Bad just shakes his head, wrapping an arm around Dream's shoulders.

They stay like that for what feels like hours, Skeppy frozen at Bad's side, looking both unsure and terrified. Until, finally, Dream sniffles and shifts so that he's no longer leaning on Bad. He wipes his cheeks with his hoodie sleeves, and his expression is so pained that it makes Bad's heart squeeze.

"What's wrong?" Bad says, his voice quiet after the sobs that had been echoing through the hallway, ringing in his ears. "What happened?" Where's George? he wants to ask, but he has a feeling that'll prompt a new round of sobbing.

"We were trapped in a classroom," Dream says hoarsely, wiping his eyes again, not looking either of them in the face. "And we heard voices and gunshots. But they weren't voices we knew. So I decided we should go out and take a look, in case you guys didn't know about them." He takes a deep breath, like he's forcing himself to continue. "George heard you guys fighting and went to check it out. And I got distracted by some fucking zombies. When I turned around, those motherfuckers had grabbed him. He's gone."

Dream's voice breaks on the last word, and it looks like he's about to start sobbing again. Bad squeezes him tightly, even as his heart plummets. They'd seen those guys too and they hadn't done anything about them. And now, they'd taken George.

"What do you think they want with him?" Skeppy asks in a hushed voice, like he's scared Dream might turn on him just for asking. But Dream just stares blankly at the floor, and Bad shoots him a warning look instead.

"We'll find him, Dream," Bad says, turning back to Dream. "I promise. Let's get back to the others first, and then we can come up with a plan."

Dream mutters something that sounds like, "They're probably long gone by now." But then, he shakes his head, like he's clearing the panic away. He looks up, locking eyes with Bad. "Did you guys find Sapnap? Is he okay?"

Bad feels his heart break, at the hope and agony in Dream's eyes. Something's happened to both of his friends, Bad realizes. No wonder he's so distraught.

"We found him," Bad says, hating that he's gonna have to crush his hopes a little. "He's still hurt, but Techno has a plan to help him. A cure."

Dream curses and buries his face in his hands. "He got bit by a zombie. And I didn't even know. I was too busy worrying about other shit while he was injured. While he's still injured."

"It's not your fault," Skeppy cuts in. "None of us knew."

"Exactly," Bad says. "Sapnap doesn't blame you either. None us do."

Dream looks like he wants to argue. But he just sighs and nods. "We should go, then. Maybe Techno can help with... this, too."

Bad helps him to his feet. He's trembling as he stands, but he manages to walk a few steps without collapsing, so Bad lets go of him. But he still sticks close by, and Skeppy does the same on Dream's other side. Just in case.

The walk back to the caf is tense and silent. Bad tries to keep an eye out on the hall around them, on the few zombies that are still standing. But he's distracted. The fact that George is gone and that it was partially his fault for not stopping those strangers when he'd seen them...

Skeppy takes his hand and squeezes it behind Dream's back, his eyes shining with worry and reassurance, and Bad is suddenly incredibly grateful that he still has his boyfriend with him. He manages a small smile. They'll find George and cure Sapnap. They'll survive.

Dream stops suddenly, and Bad realizes they've reached the caf. The double doors open almost immediately, like Techno's been waiting for them. Techno scans them for injuries before his eyes land on Dream. And flicker with worry.

Skeppy gestures wildly for him not to say anything and Techno just raises his eyebrows.

"You survived," he says dryly. "Good."

"What a welcome," Skeppy mutters, but he grins at Techno anyway. And Bad's lips twitch too, despite himself. Until he remembers Dream, and falls serious again.

Dream nods at Techno, keeping his chin up, even though Bad can see him trembling a little as he takes in the caf. Apparently, Techno sees it too, because he lowers his voice a little, opening the caf doors wider as he says, "You better come in. Something tells me we have a lot to talk about."

George's POV

"Let go of me!" George snaps, struggling against the tall blond guy, who's still holding him even though they're both stuck in the back of a moving van. "It's not like I can escape, anyway."

The blond guy just shrugs and lets go, and George lets out a breath. His arms are sore and he's annoyed at the two idiots who decided to kidnap him. The blond guy looks like he's a few years younger than him and neither of them look all that threatening. But it's the thought of Dream, of the desperate yell he'd heard from his boyfriend as the van drove off, that really pisses him off. Even if the anger is helping him forget to panic.

"What's your name?" the blond guy says, like he hasn't just kidnapped him. George is surprised to hear that he has a British accent. Not that it makes a difference.

"Why would I tell you?" George says. "You literally kidnapped me."

"Yeah, but it's nothing personal," the guy says, looking a bit embarrassed. "My name's Tommy. This is Wilbur," he adds, gesturing to the older guy driving the van. Wilbur waves and George wonders if they're both insane.

"Why'd you kidnap me then? If it's not personal?"

"Well, you see..." Tommy starts, but Wilbur hushes him.

"He's the enemy, Tommy. Don't dilvuge our plans."

"What?" George asks and Tommy just rolls his eyes and falls silent. Apparently, that's the end of that conversation. George just glares at both of them, wondering if he should start plotting an escape plan.

"Do you wanna a chocolate?" Tommy asks innocently, holding out his grimy hands, and George decides he really should start on that escape plan.

(1580 words)

Notes:

More new characters!! I'm really excited to write the next chapters, so I hope you guys enjoy them too! <3

Chapter 47: Never Have I Ever

Notes:

Some lighthearted Karlnap and angst cause it's been a while. Enjoy <3

Chapter Text

Tw: mild angst, mild injury

Sapnap's sitting in the corner of the caf again, staring at the caf doors and ignoring the pain in his arm.

Bad and Skeppy have been gone for a while now, and Sapnap's running out of patience. Techno and the others are busy discussing their plan for getting to the community center but the idea of planning while Dream and George are still missing doesn't sit right with him. Plus, he has the weirdest urge to get up and shoot at the targets still on the wall, just to take out his stress.

He's so busy staring at the doors that he doesn't notice anyone approaching him until Karl sits down next to him.

"What's up, dude?" Karl says, his voice light like he's trying to hide his worry. But Sapnap can see it glimmering in his eyes, can see it in the way he won't hold his gaze for more than a second. "Techno sent me to check on your bandages. And I figured you could use some company."

Sapnap just shrugs, glancing down at the bandages wrapped around his arm, if only to escape the sadness in Karl's eyes. "Have the others figured out a plan yet?"

"Not yet," Karl says with a half-smile. "But we're getting there. Montero says he should have something figured out soon. He'll tell us once the others get back."

If they get back, is what he doesn't need to add.

"So, about those bandages," Karl says, and Sapnap blinks away his worries, ignoring the way his heart sinks at the thought of Dream and George still stuck in a classroom and Bad and Skeppy still out looking for them. His blood is thrumming and he's restless and...

Karl lays a hand on his uninjured arm, and Sapnap's thoughts go quiet.

"Hey," Karl says quietly. Sapnap swallows, his heart thudding, as Karl places his other hand below his chin and turns his head toward him. His eyes are open and shining, and Sapnap is suddenly restless and completely still at the same time. Karl's hands are cool and his touch sends heat rippling through him, cutting through the pain in his arm and the worry in his heart.

Sapnap clears his throat, forcing himself to speak. "What?"

Karl smirks a little, trailing the hand on his arm up to grip his bicep. "Stop worrying so much. They'll get back and then we'll get your cure. And some day, the apocalypse will be over and we'll all move in together in a house in Florida."

Sapnap snorts a laugh and Karl giggles and for a moment, hope blooms in Sapnap's heart.

"It would have to be a pretty big house to fit all of us," Sapnap says finally, a smile tugging at his lips. "And it would become pretty annoying pretty quickly."

Karl shrugs, trying to fight a smile. "Super annoying. Are you kidding me, imagine George and Quackity in a house together."

Sapnap scoffs. "That would be the worst. Almost as bad as Bad and Skeppy bickering all the time."

Karl huffs a laugh, squeezing Sapnap's bicep a little, and Sapnap has to stop himself from shivering. "Maybe we could move in together. You know, just the two of us."

Sapnap's heart stops and then starts again. "Just the two of us?" he asks, wondering if Karl's words are just a hallucination from his injury.

"Well," Karl says. He's tracing a finger over Sapnap's bicep, and Sapnap tries to focus on his words over the thudding of his heart. "You'd have to take me out to dinner first."

Sapnap chokes out a laugh and ducks his head a little to hide the warmth blooming in his cheeks. "That's fair," he finds himself saying, and he avoids Karl's eyes, even as he feels them on him. Feels his cheeks burn and tries to calm his nerves.

He's almost completely forgotton about his injury until Karl falls serious again. "First, we should probably fix that arm of yours. What do ya say?"

"Fine," Sapnap sighs, sticking out his injured arm for Karl to see. Karl takes his hands off him for a second to grab a roll of bandages, and Sapnap suddenly feels cold without his touch. But a moment later, Karl's gently pushing the sleeve of his hoodie up to his elbow, his fingers grazing over Sapnap's skin.

Sapnap can barely breathe with Karl's light touches as he gently unwraps his bandages. Karl's breath catches as the bandages fall, exposing the injury beneath, and he mutters a curse.

"Does it hurt?" he asks, his voice a little hoarse.

"It's not that bad," Sapnap says, even as he winces when Karl touches the injury lightly. "I'll live."

Karl shifts a little closer and Sapnap stiffens. But Karl just blows lightly on the injury, his breath cool against the fiery pain. Then, he starts slowly, carefully, wrapping a fresh set of bandages around the wound.

"Want a distraction?" Karl whispers when Sapnap winces again. "We can play truth or dare. Or never have I ever."

"Your pick," Sapnap says, closing his eyes at the burst of pain, soothed by Karl's touch.

"Okay..." Karl says, like he's thinking. "Let's play never have I ever. I'll go first."

"Don't get much of a choice, then," Sapnap mutters, but Karl just grins.

"Never have I ever... drank alcohol underage," Karl says and Sapnap rolls his eyes.

"To be clear, that was your fault," Sapnap says, holding up his free hand and putting down a finger. "And there's no way you never drank underage."

Karl giggles. "I haven't, to be fair. But you do you, bro."

"Fine, my turn," Sapnap says. "Never have I ever climbed up something dangerous."

Karl shamelessly puts down a finger and shrugs. "What can I say, I'm a climber, man."

Sapnap just stares at him, his words almost enough to make him forget about the pain. "You're crazy, dude, you know that?"

Karl grins. "Trust me, I've been told." He finishes wrapping the bandages and starts pinning them in place. "Never have I ever... kissed a girl."

Sapnap's face suddenly feels warm as he puts down a finger. "You haven't?" he asks, and even though it comes out a little shocked, all he feels is a weird relief.

"I mean, unless you count a kiss in middle school which happened on accident, then no," Karl says. "What about you?"

Sapnap's face is burning now. "I had a few girlfriends in high school. It didn't last for more than two weeks though, with any of them."

"So this is a new record for you, huh?" Karl asks, gesturing to the two of them.

Sapnap thinks back, to the first time he saw Karl, and knew he had feelings for him from the beginning. Thinks back to Karl's not-so-subtle flirting for the first few days, then to their first kiss. And now...

It's been over a month since it started.

"Yeah, I guess," Sapnap admits, still wondering how Karl managed to hypnotize him so easily from the start. "Okay," he says, as Karl's finishing up the bandaging. "Never have I ever kissed a guy. Except for me."

The question's filled with a burning curiosity that Sapnap can't ignore, even as he hopes he's wrong, because for some reason that's worse than Karl kissing a girl...

Sapnap's heart drops as Karl lowers a finger. "Who?" he manages, trying to keep the growl from his voice.

To his credit, Karl blushes a little. "I've known I was gay for a while, to be fair. I kissed some guys in high school but never more than that. And it was never more than a crush."

It's still difficult to breathe, but Sapnap can't think once Karl locks eyes with him. There's something glimmering there, something about the way he'd said the other guys weren't anything more than a crush, almost like...

"And... all done," Karl announces, breaking eye contact and holding up Sapnap's newly bandaged arm. "Good as new. At least, until we get the cure."

Sapnap nods slowly, but his mind is on everything but the cure. He opens his mouth to say something to Karl...

The cafeteria doors bang open and Sapnap's head snaps toward them. His eyes widen and his heart squeezes when he sees who's standing in the frame.

"Hey guys," Bad says, with a weak smile.

Karl's POV

There are tears in Karl's eyes, and he tries to blink them away, as he catches sight of Dream standing in the doorway.

Sapnap's already on his feet, looking ready to sprint to the doors, but Karl clears his thoughts enough to say, "Whatever you're thinking of doing, don't do it."

He stands up too, looping an arm around Sapnap's waist. "I can walk, you know," Sapnap mutters, even though he's still focused on Dream.

Karl's lips tug up. "Who says I don't just wanna touch you?"

Sapnap's cheeks flush red and he, reluctantly, slings his good arm around Karl's shoulders, leaning into him a little for support. "Fine, nimrod. As long as you get me to those doors."

But Dream's already spotted them, already jogging toward them, like Sapnap's the only person he was looking for. His green eyes are red-rimmed and puffy like he's been crying and fresh tears well up when he locks eyes with Sapnap.

Karl gently eases himself out of Sapnap's hold so that Dream can hug him instead. But Dream stops in front of them, scanning every inch of Sapnap. "What happened?" he demands, his voice breaking a little. "Why didn't you tell us?"

He catches sight of the bandages around Sapnap's arm and his breath catches.

"It's not that bad," Sapnap says, quickly, the blush lingering on his cheeks even though his eyes are serious and shining. "I didn't want to worry you guys," he says more quietly, like he's talking only to Dream, and Karl wonders if he should be there.

"You idiot," Dream says, the tears still in his eyes. "We could have helped you."

And then Dream turns to Karl, who suddenly can't move under the intensity of his gaze. "You bandaged him, right?" When Karl nods, Dream exhales. "Thank you. For looking out for him."

There's such regret in his voice, that Karl and Sapnap exchange a glance. "This isn't just about the injury is it?" Karl asks, and Sapnap sucks in a breath a moment later.

"Where's George?" he asks, voice hard, staring Dream down. Karl feels a shiver go through him, even as the realization that George is missing hits him like a brick.

That regret shines in Dream's eyes as he says, "I have something to tell you guys."

(1780 words)

Chapter 48: Are We The Bad Guys?

Chapter Text

Tw: swearing, weapons, mild angst

"You what?" Sapnap exclaims when Dream finishes telling his story.

"You lost George?" Karl asks, looking equally shocked.

Dream sighs and scrubs at his face. "Yes, I lost George. He's not an object, you know. He can take care of himself."

The tears glimmering in Sapnap's eyes are gone and Karl's cheeks are dry. Dream winces when he sees the shock in both of their gazes, wondering if Sapnap will ever forgive him for losing their best friend. Wondering if he'll ever forgive himself for it, even if they get George back.

Sapnap's eyes soften a little, like he can read the guilt weighing him down. He puts a hand on Dream's shoulder, warm and comforting. "Don't worry, bro. We'll find him," he says, and the words thud into Dream, sending his heart hammering.

"Yeah, no worries," Karl adds, offering him a half-smile. "Like you said, George can take care of himself until we do. He'll be okay, Dream."

Dream manages a nod, despite the lump in his throat and the tears burning his eyes. He scrubs a hand over his face and takes a deep breath. "Okay," he says firmly. "We'll find him. And we'll find your cure, too," he adds to Sapnap, offering his best friend a smile. "It's the least we can do."

"Yeah, it is," Sapnap mutters, but his eyes are dancing despite everything and it brings a smile to Dream's lips.

"Dream," Techno calls, and the three of them turn in unison. Techno gestures them over to where Bad, Skeppy, Quackity, and Montero are all sitting in a circle by the wall of the caf.

"What do they want now?" Sapnap grumbles. Karl just squeezes his arm, loops an arm around his waist, and makes a show of helping him to group. Sapnap tries to look annoyed, but he can't hide the blush on his neck, or the way he subtly leans into Karl. When Dream smirks at him, Sapnap just flips him off, his cheeks turning red too.

The second Karl and Sapnap have their backs to him, Dream's smile fades. He wonders if him and George look that happy when they're together. He wonders if he looks at George the same way Sapnap looks at Karl. Something tells him he does.

"Oh, Dreeeam," Bad calls, and Dream snaps out of his daze. He rolls his eyes and moves to join their group. While the other sit down, Karl helping Sapnap lean against the wall, Dream stays standing. He doesn't know if he can get through this conversation without pacing. Not with all the nervous energy moving through him, keeping him from breaking down completely.

He catches Quackity glaring at him, with enough intensity that it takes Dream aback. He's sitting in a corner, looking grim, and the daggers he shoots at Dream make it clear he's heard what happened to George and blames him for it.

Dream hadn't even been sure if they were friends. If they were, they had a weird way of showing it.

"Okay, reunion's over," Techno says dryly, looking around at all of them. "We have a few issues to address."

"George got kidnapped," Skeppy whispers loudly, eyes wide like he's still processing it. Dream knows he's not trying to piss him off, but he still feels the urge to strangle him until Bad steps forward protectively and shoots Dream a glare.

Then, he turns his glare to Skeppy. "We know, you muffinhead, you don't need to point it out again."

"I'm just saying," Skeppy mutters, looking to Dream apologetically. Dream's anger dies down a little and he uncurls his fists.

"Do we know who took him?" Montero asks, looking surprisingly calm. "Let's start there. Dream, did you see anything?"

Dream blinks, surprised at how collected Montero sounds. "I - not really," he stammers. "They drove a van, though. It was dark blue and looked kinda muddy." An image of the van flashes in his mind and how they'd shoved George into it...

"We saw them," Bad cuts in and Dream's gaze snaps to him. "Techno, when you sent us to find Dream and George we found two people fighting a group of zombies. It looked like they needed help, so we stepped in, and - "

"And they dipped!" Skeppy exclaims. "They fucking dipped and left us there with the zombies."

Bad doesn't even bother languaging him. Not when he looks equally annoyed. "We had to fight our way out, so we couldn't stop those bubbleheads."

To his credit, Dream has never heard Bad sound so upset about anything.

"So what did they look like?" Sapnap presses, leaning forward a little.

"Well, they were both tall, and one of them looked really young. Like, a teenager," Bad says. "He had blond hair, and the other guy was brunette."

Techno chokes on nothing and all of them turn to him. "A blond teenager?" he asks and, when Bad nods, he looks shocked. Or as shocked as Dream has ever seen him.

"What is it?" Dream demands, stepping forward, his fists closing on instinct.

Techno meets his gaze, and there's such a mix of emotions there that Dream doesn't know what to make of it. "As I was telling Sapnap, before I met Montero and Quackity, I was with another group. We were at a community center not far from here - the one that might still have Sapnap's cure. And if you're talking about who I think you're talking about..." Techno looks around at all of them. Dream's heart is in his throat, waiting for him to continue. "The teenager - that's Tommy. He's part of the reason I left. And the brunette is Wilbur, the guy who designed the cure."

For a solid minute, everyone is frozen and silent, staring at him. Then, they a burst into speech at once.

"What's he doing kidnapping people then?" Skeppy demands.

"You know them?" Quackity asks, accusingly.

"What if they're still at the community center?" Bad wonders aloud, and his words shut everyone else up.

"Oh my God," Karl breaths. "If they're still there, then we can save George and get the cure at the same time!"

Even Quackity looks happier at the idea. Dream's blood thrums in his veins, and he feels like if he speaks, he might choke on his words. But hope blooms in his chest as he locks eyes with Sapnap, who grins back at him.

Techno looks a little uncertain, and Dream suddenly remembers that he left that other group for a reason. But he seems to shake himself out of it as he smirks at Dream.

"Let's do it," Techno says.

George's POV

"We're here," Wilbur sings, about fifteen minutes later.

George glares at him in the reflection of the rearview mirror and deadpans, "You're saying that like it's a good thing."

"Of course it's a good thing!" Tommy says, clapping George on the shoulder. "You get to meet the rest of the gang!"

George wonders, honestly, how these nimrods managed to kidnap him. "I don't want to meet the gang."

Tommy's face falls a little, but he shakes his head. "Wilbur!" he calls. "He's being mean to me!"

George groans and buries his head in his hands, wishing for Dream, for anyone to save him from this fever dream.

Wilbur opens back of the van and George squints against the light. When his eyes stop watering, he realizes they've stopped at a building. It looks like some kind of a community center. And, George realizes, it's not far from the school. Maybe Dream and the others will come and save him.

"We're back!" Wilbur calls, and George almost snaps at him to be quiet. Until he notices that there aren't any zombies around. Actually, it's suspiciously empty, like they've cleared the whole place.

"And we're busy!" a faint voice yells back from inside. "Are we just gonna narrate what we do from now on?"

"Let's go inside," Tommy says, voice jolly as he grabs George by the arm and practically drags him through the doors.

Tommy leads him into a big, open room that's probably the lobby of the community center. Crouched in the center of the room over a pile of weapons, are two other teenagers. One of them is shorter than George and looks up when they enter. The other one is wearing a weird mask and glasses and is busy adding more weapons to the pile.

"You brought a guest!" the shorter one exclaims, jumping up to run to them.

The guy wearing the mask finally looks up. Even though his face is covered, George gets the weird sense that he's disappointed as he looks between Tommy and Wilbur. "Did you guys kidnap someone?" he asks, and George wonders if it's somehow obvious.

Tommy kicks at the ground, mumbling something, and looking suddenly embarrassed.

"Actually?" the guy wearing the mask asks, sounding in disbelief. "You kidnapped another human being and you thought this was a good idea?"

"No one asked for your opinion, Ranboo," Wilbur says. "But, if you need to know, yes."

Ranboo throws his arms up in the air. "Why?"

"Because he's the enemy," Tommy states, and Ranboo looks like he wants to strangle him.

At least someone understands, George thinks.

"Hello," the other teenager says, stepping up to George and sticking out his hand to shake. "My name's Tubbo. Sorry about them," he adds, gesturing vaguely to the rest of the group. "Are you okay?"

"If you count being kidnapped as okay," George mutters, but he shakes Tubbo's hand. "I'm George."

Tubbo smiles. "Don't worry, we'll get you back. Ranboo gets super pissed off whenever they do something stupid. He'll convince them to unkidnap you."

George snorts and glances toward the others. Ranboo is still lecturing them, gesturing wildly. Tommy's cheeks are red, and even Wilbur looks like he's regretting what he did.

"Tommy," Wilbur whispers, turning to him. "Are we the bad guys?"

"So, where have you been staying?" Tubbo asks, conversationally. "Do you have a group?"

George's attention snaps back to him and, suddenly, it hurts to speak with the lump in his throat. His eyes sting as he thinks of Dream and Sapnap and Techno... even Quackity. But he blinks back the tears.

They'll come for him, he thinks. Or he'll escape. Or maybe Ranboo will actually convince them to let him leave.

He realizes Tubbo's still staring at him expectantly, and clears his throat before opening his mouth.

And, despite his worries, despite the fact that Tubbo is a literal stranger, he tells him about his best friends and his boyfriend and the school they've been staying at.

(1770 words)

Chapter 49: The Ambush

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: swearing, mild angst

"So what's the plan?" Karl asks. He's sitting on the floor beside Sapnap, an arm slung casually around his shoulders, a smile tugging at his lips. But Bad catches the slight tremble in his voice, the way he curls his hands into fists. "Are we gonna ambush them or something?"

Techno winces a little, and Bad catches that too. Skeppy taps him on the shoulder aggressively and, when Bad glances at him, he mouths, backstory. Bad just rolls his eyes, and hits him lightly on the arm. Focus, he mouths back.

"They've probably already cleared the place of zombies," Techno's saying. "But they'll have defenses that we have to watch out for."

Techno pauses, and Bad looks around at the group. Dream is silent, his eyes troubled, his face pale. Even Sapnap is quieter than usual, and Techno doesn't seem his usual self.

Bad takes a deep breath. Someone needs to take over, if the others can't.

"Okay," he says, stepping forward. His face warms as he feels everyone's attention on him. But then, Skeppy takes his hand gently and, when Bad looks back at him, he nods reassuringly. Bad's heart squeezes in his chest as he nods back, turning to the group.

"Montero's been working on a plan to get to the community center, right?" Bad asks, and Montero nods in confirmation. "So, we need to split up and get ready for the ambush, or whatever we're calling it."

"It's definitely an ambush," Karl states, and Skeppy nods in agreement, even as Techno rolls his eyes.

Bad looks around at all of them again, this time wondering who's up to doing what. "Well, Sapnap and Dream, you're staying here. For obvious reasons."

"What?" Dream asks, looking like he's just snapped out of a daze. "Why would I stay here?"

"To watch over Sapnap," Bad clarifies, giving him a pointed look. "And to help Montero plan for the ambush."

Dream just stares at him for a minute, and Bad wonders if he understands that it's for his sake. But then, he seems to relax a little, his eyes warming enough that Bad can see the gratitude there. He nods, and so do Montero and Sapnap.

"Me and Skeppy are gonna go and search the school for any weapons we can find," Bad continues. "Just in case we need them." Skeppy squeezes his hand in confirmation. "Karl and Quackity, you guys can search for the best exit from the school. There might still be a bunch of zombies out there, so be careful. And Techno..."

"I'll clear the rest of the zombies from the school," Techno says, giving Bad a half-smile. "Or as many of them as I can."

"Okay, great," Karl says, clapping his hands. "We have a plan. Let's do this."

And just like that, the others start to ready up.

Bad lets out a breath. His blood is thrumming with adrenaline and he still can't believe that he actually managed to come up with decent plan on the spot.

"Good job, Bad," Techno says, stopping by him and Skeppy. "It's a good plan."

Bad's face heats. "Of course it is," he mumbles, and Skeppy smirks at him, like he can tell how flustered he is.

Techno studies them, hesitating like he's not sure what to say. "About the guys at the community center..."

"You don't need to tell us, if you don't want to," Bad assures him. Skeppy's eyes are wide as he turns slowly to Bad like he can't believe what he's saying. "You'll tell us when you're ready. Or if it's important."

Techno smiles. "Thanks, guys. You're good friends."

"Any time," Skeppy mutters, shooting daggers at Bad. But his cheeks are more flushed than usual, and he grins at Techno before he leaves.

When Techno's gone, Skeppy whirls around. "Why did you have to say that? We could've figured out his backstory!"

Bad rolls his eyes. "Backstory isn't everything, Skeppy. You saw him, he looked uncomfortable at the thought of telling anyone. Something bad probably happened. Let him tell it when he's ready."

Skeppy sighs. "Fine. You're right."

Bad squeezes his hand. "For now, let's focus on our job. We have to gather weapons."

Skeppy nods, as he grabs his gun off the floor. But his voice is quiet when he asks, "Do you think George is okay?"

Bad's heart stutters. "Techno knew these people. I doubt they would do anything bad to George. He'll be fine."

Skeppy swallows, but nods. "We'll just have to save him before they can do anything."

Those words stay in the back of Bad's mind as he and Skeppy ready up for their mission.

Karl's POV

"You good, dude?" Karl asks Sapnap, his voice coming out quieter than usual. "You're pale."

Sapnap frowns as he shifts a little under Karl's arm. "I'm fine. It's you you should be worried about." His gaze locks on Karl's, intense and unwavering. "You're about to go search a school full of zombies with only Quackity to protect you."

Quackity, who's standing only a few meters away, whips around to give Sapnap an offended glare. Sapnap just glares back, and Karl doesn't know if he should laugh or lecture them.

"Come on, it's not just Quackity," he says, squeezing Sapnap's shoulders and trying not to think about the muscle below his hand or how close he's sitting to Sapnap. "I can fight, too. It's - "

"One of your many talents," Sapnap finishes, rolling his eyes. But there's a smile tugging at his lips when he turns back to Karl. "Just promise me you'll be careful. We can't both die."

The words hit Karl like a brick and his blood turns cold. "Neither one of us is gonna die. And neither is Quackity, to be clear."

"Good," Sapnap says, shrugging. "Just remember, we still need to move in together after all this."

Sapnap stumbles over the words and his cheeks are flushed but, in that moment, Karl almost blurts out the words he's been meaning to say. He feels his cheeks flame, but he manages a smirk. "Glad we're on the same page."

Karl leans over to kiss Sapnap on the cheek, suddenly not ready to get up, to leave him. But, to his surprise, Sapnap stops him with a hand on his wrist.

"Let me," Sapnap murmurs, leaning in so that his words ghosts over Karl's lips. Karl's breath hitches and his blood turns molten as Sapnap closes the distance between them.

It takes all his willpower not to melt into the kiss, not to tear off Sapnap's hoodie and beg him to do whatever he wants to him. The kiss is soft and gentle and Sapnap's hands close around his, warm and reassuring. Tears prick Karl's eyes, but he blinks them away as he pulls away from Sapnap.

"I have to go," he whispers, barely able to meet Sapnap's gaze. His heart pounds so loudly in his ears that it almost drowns out his words.

"Stay safe," Sapnap says, pulling away too. He lets go of Karl's hands and, as the warmth disappears, the lump in his throat grows.

"Will do, Captain," Karl says, saluting. Then, he stands and moves to join Quackity. Every step takes him further and further away, brings the tears closer and closer to the surface. He wants to run back to Sapnap and tell him how he feels, tell him everything. But he doesn't.

The anger in Quackity's eyes melts away the second Karl reaches him. "What's wrong, Karl?"

Karl wipes at his eyes, careful to keep his back to Sapnap so that he doesn't notice the tears. "Nothing, man. Why?"

Quackity just stares at him, then looks over his shoulder at Sapnap. "You're both dumb as hell," he announces, looking back to Karl. "Can you just admit your feelings already and fucking stop torturing the rest of us?"

"What?" The words shock Karl out of his tears and he frowns. "What are you talking about?"

Quackity buries his head in his hands, muttering what sounds like a prayer in Spanish. Or maybe he's just cursing. "Go tell him how you feel, dumbass. Look at him."

Karl glances back at Sapnap. Sapnap, who's still leaning against the wall, his head resting on the brick, his eyes closed...

"Why are you crying, nimrod?" Karl says, cupping a hand over his mouth as he watches Sapnap wipe his eyes.

"I'm... not," Sapnap sniffles, and Quackity looks like he might hit something. "It's just the... air conditioner."

"There's literally no air conditioning in here, dumbass," Quackity starts, but Karl doesn't hear him.

Not as Sapnap's eyes settle on him.

"Come here," Sapnap says, and Karl doesn't need to be told twice.

Sapnap's arms wrap around him, pressing him into his warm chest, holding him close. His heartbeat is steady below Karl's cheek, and there's a faint scent of cologne below the blood and sweat that makes Karl's head spin.

"I love you, Karl," Sapnap says, and every word lands like a stone over his heart. "I figured it out a while ago."

Karl's heart swells, his blood heating and he can't speak, can't think. But... "Why?" he asks, his voice breaking. "I don't deserve you."

Sapnap stiffens, his arms tightening around Karl. "Of course you do. You deserve so much more than me. You're... everything I could ever ask for."

The tears slip from Karl's eyes, his heart breaking with every word. "I love you too, nimrod," he manages before he bursts into sobs.

Sapnap holds him for what feels like forever, until the sobs quiet and all that Karl feels is a warm happiness that he knows won't last. Not when he'll have to let go of Sapnap in a minute.

But when he finally pulls away, tears dry, there's a smile playing on Sapnap's lips. "Dream says you can stay here instead of him, if you want. He'll go with Quackity."

Quackity looks murderous at the idea and Dream is standing awkwardly next to him, rubbing at the back of his neck. It's almost enough to make Karl smile.

"I'll go," Karl says, grabbing Sapnap's hand to squeeze it. Dream looks so relieved, it actually makes Karl grin. "I can't leave those two alone together, or they'll fight to the death over George. Besides, I'll only be a distraction here," he says, smirking at Sapnap.

"Your choice," Sapnap says, but his eyes are sparkling. He presses a kiss to Karl's forehead. "Have fun out there. Beat the shit out of some zombies for me."

Karl grins wickedly, feeling more like himself than he has in a while. "Aye aye, Captain."

(1770 words)

Notes:

I've been super busy recently with school and stuff so I'm sorry if I don't get to post as often! I don't want these chapters to be rushed or anything, so I might post only once a week or whenever I can.

Hope y'all enjoyed! <3

Chapter 50: Our Win, Boys!

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: swearing, mild weapons

"Wait!" Tubbo exclaims, jumping to his feet. "You know Technoblade?"

"I mean, we know him as Techno, but..." George says, glancing around at the others. Somehow, his conversation with Tubbo turned into a story he's told all of them. "How do you guys know him?"

Wilbur looks hesitantly at Tommy - who looks angrier than George has seen him until then - before answering. "We had a bit of a falling out near the beginning of the apocalypse."

"A bit?" Tommy explodes. "Just a bit?"

Ranboo sighs, pinching his nose like they've had this conversation a million times before. "It's a long story. And one that we're not getting into," he adds, shooting a pointed glance at Tommy.

Tommy looks like he's about to argue otherwise, but Tubbo interrupts him. "So what about your other friends? Are they all okay?"

Right, George remembers. He never got to finish his story. His heart squeezes in his chest, but he forces himself to tell them about Sapnap and his injury and...

"Well, you already know about the zombies," George finishes. "You had to fight them to get into the school, too."

Tubbo looks around at the others, his eyes landing on Wilbur. Wilbur, who couldn't look more uncomfortable as Tubbo shoots daggers at him, and Ranboo gestures impatiently at him to speak.

"Right," Wilbur says, turning to face George. "About your friend..."

"We might have a cure," Tommy finishes, and Wilbur whirls around to glare at him. "What?" Tommy asks, innocently. "I said might."

"So much for playing our cards right," Wilbur mutters, but George barely hears him. Barely hears anything past the word cure.

"You could save him?" he breaths, his mind whirling. He pictures Sapnap, and then Dream, and wonders of they know, if Techno might somehow know that there's a cure. He wonders if Sapnap is doing okay, if the others have managed to keep him alive. But any way he looks at it, one thing sticks in his mind: he needs to get that cure.

"Theoretically," Wilbur says, pushing up his wire-rimmed glasses. "We've only tested the cure once, though, and it was one someone who'd just been bit. It might be too late, in your friend's case.

"It's not," George says firmly, and he barely recognizes his own voice under the beating of his heart. "We can still save him."

Tommy crosses his arms. "And why should we do that?" he asks, but his words waver, his eyes shining.

"Because," George says. "He's dying. You can't just sit here and watch it happen, while you have the cure."

"Technically, we wouldn't be watching," Ranboo points out, and Tubbo and George shoot glares at him in unison. Ranboo puts up his hands in surrender. "But you make a good point."

"Wait," Wilbur says, and the others go quiet. "We kidnapped this man for a reason, you know. We can't just let him waltz out of here with a cure. Not when he'll know where to find us."

George makes a face. "What?"

"He thinks you'll try to get your revenge on us," Ranboo clarifies. "Because we kidnapped you."

Wilbur jabs a finger at him. "For a reason."

"And what was that reason?" George asks, raising his brows.

"It's a long story," Ranboo whispers and George notes the angry gleam in Tommy's eyes again. "But it doesn't matter why we did it," Ranboo says to Wilbur. "Because we've already established that you can't just kidnap a person."

"I say we give him the cure," Tubbo announces and everyone whirls to face him.

"Excuse me?" Tommy asks, just as Ranboo throws up his hands and says, "Finally, a sensible person."

"There's no point keeping him here," Tubbo says, shrugging. "And we can help his friend."

"I say we have a vote," Ranboo says. "All in favour of letting George go - with the cure - say aye."

Ranboo and Tubbo both raise their hands. Tommy looks so betrayed, George almost wants to laugh. But he doesn't raise his hand, and neither does Wilbur, which leaves them nowhere.

"George," Ranboo whispers, and motions for him to raise his hand. When he does, raising his brows, Ranboo whoops in victory. "Our win, boys!"

"That's no fair!" Tommy shouts, but his voice is drowned out by Tubbo and Ranboo cheering. Wilbur just shakes his head and mutters just loud enough for George to hear, "I'm working with imbeciles."

"What just happened?" George asks, wondering if this is some sort of fever dream or if he's hallucinating. Because there's no way that the people who kidnapped him are letting him go based on a skewed vote. "You're letting me leave? With the cure?"

"Apprently," Ranboo says, and Tubbo nods enthusiastically. "You know, Wilbur might be right. We are imbeciles."

"I've been saying it from the start," Wilbur mutters, but he pats George on the shoulder. "It was nothing personal, George."

Only Tommy looks completely dejected. He's pouting as he raises his gaze to look at George. But all he says is, "Now that we're friends, can I call you Gogy?"

George opens his mouth with no idea what to say in return, but Tubbo saves him from having to answer. "Wilbur, get the cure. He's already been here forever. His friends are probably worried. Did you say you had a boyfriend?" he adds, turning to George.

Wilbur snorts. "He's going to kill us if ever finds us. That is, if Techno doesn't first."

Tubbo glares at him. "I was going to say that his boyfriend's probably even more worried than his friends."

"Hurry up!" Ranboo adds, and, despite himself, a smile tugs at George's lips.

"Don't worry," Ranboo says, turning back to George. "We'll get you out of here. Eventually."

And with a cure, too. A cure that can save Sapnap. This time, George actually does smile. The more he thinks about it, the more his worries vanish. Something like hope blooms in his heart.

Soon, he'll see Dream and the others again. Soon, he'll be back at the school with a cure. Soon, he'll be reunited with his best friends, and he'll make sure nothing breaks them apart ever again.

Dream's POV

The others are readying up to leave, and Dream can't help but feel useless as he watches them grab weapons and make plans for when they go out to fight the zombies.

He's standing in front of Sapnap, too restless to sit next to him. Sapnap looks distant too, a mix of worry and love in his eyes as he watches Karl practice aiming a rifle. Dream knows how hard it is for Sapnap too, to not be able to fight, to protect Karl. But Bad left them in the cafeteria for a reason. Dream's starting to wonder if it's because he thought they would both be too distracted to focus on fighting zombies.

"You good, bro?" Sapnap asks, and Dream snaps out of his thoughts.

He shrugs, glancing instinctively at the bandages around his friend's arm. "I don't think any of us are good right now."

Sapnap snorts. "Yeah, but you're doing worse than the rest of us."

Dream rolls his eyes, but forces himself to sit down, to stop pacing. "If anyone's not doing good, it's you. Or did you forget that you're literally injured?"

Sapnap flexes his hand and winces. "It's not that bad," he says, and Dream raises his brows skeptically. But Sapnap continues. "It's just sucks to not be a part of the action."

"I know what you mean," Dream says, looking to where Techno's giving instructions to Bad and Skeppy about where to find weapons.

He feels Sapnap staring at him, but he can't meet his gaze. Can't because... "How are you actually doing?" Sapnap asks quietly. "With everything that's happened with George."

"How do you think?" Dream snaps, and instantly wishes he could take the words back. He's not mad at Sapnap. He's just... frustrated. "We're gonna save him. And you. That's all I want to think about."

Sapnap's silent for a while. Then, he says so quietly that Dream can barely hear him, "Karl asked me to move in with him once all this is over."

"What?" Dream asks, unable to keep the surprise from his voice. "When?"

Sapnap shrugs. "Earlier. But I've lived with you guys for so long, I don't know if I could do it."

"You should," Dream says, surprising himself. There's a pang in his heart at the thought of not being able to live with him, but... "You two would be happy together. That's what matters."

Sapnap scoffs. "I don't know why I thought you would try to stop me," he says, but there's a smile tugging at his lips. "Like, you'd do a wholeass speech on friendship and betrayal."

Dream snorts. "I'm not a control freak, idiot. It's your life."

"I guess you do get the apartment to yourself then," Sapnap muses. "Well... you and George, anyway."

Dream feels his cheeks burn. "That's not the point," he says, and Sapnap smirks at him.

"Suit yourself," Sapnap says. "At least George will be sad to see me go."

"I doubt it," Dream mutters, and Sapnap elbows him in the ribs. But the thought of the future - of Sapnap happy with Karl, and of him and George getting their own apartment to themselves - is enough to make him smile.

"Alright, see you guys," Bad says, interrupting Dream's thoughts. He blinks and finds Bad and Skeppy standing in front of them. "Stay safe. We will, too."

"Don't die," Skeppy adds, unhelpfully, and Bad shoots daggers at him.

"Be careful," Dream says, and he means it. He meets Bad's gaze and something tells him that Bad already knows he's grateful that he let him stay behind with Sapnap. But he says a quiet, "Thank you," anyway, and Bad nods at him before grabbing Skeppy's hand and tugging him toward the doors.

Karl rushes over next to plant a kiss on Sapnap's cheek and to grin at Dream. "See ya," he says, squeezing Dream's shoulder. Quackity just glares at all of them from beside the doors.

"We'll save him," Dream says to Quackity. "You know we will."

Quackity just mutters, "Whatever, jackass." But his eyes soften a little and he even nods in Dream's direction before him and Karl join the others at the door.

Techno's the last one in the caf as the others disappear into the hallway. Before he leaves, he shakes Montero's hand and salutes Dream and Sapnap. Sapnap returns the gesture with his good hand, and then Techno's gone, leaving Dream alone with Sapnap and Montero in the caf.

(1768 words)

Notes:

To be honest, I wasn't expecting this story to go on this long, but I'm glad it has! Thank you so much to everyone who's been reading this, I appreciate y'all! <3<3

Might release a belated valentine's day special next week?👀

Chapter 51: Forever

Notes:

A Valentine's Day special!! This one's only about Dnf because I'm still heartbroken that George said no, lol.

Enjoy <3<3

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

It started as a stupid dare. The first year George had moved to Florida, Sapnap dared Dream to ask him to be his Valentine on Valentine's Day. Dream hadn't realized why his heartbeat had quickened at the thought, or why he'd secretly hoped George would say yes when he asked. And he hadn't understood why George had blushed either, or why he'd been disappointed when he said no.

Since then, it's become a kind of tradition. Dream would jokingly ask George to be his Valentine, and George would jokingly reject him. Every single year.

But then again, Dream thinks, taking a deep breath. They just started dating this year.

Dream's thoughts are a loud mess in his head as he rolls over on his sleeping bag to face George. George, who's still asleep, his face peaceful. Dream almost feels bad waking him, but...

"George," he whispers, gently shaking his shoulder. "George."

George groans as he stirs, batting Dream's hand away. "What d'you want?" he murmurs, eyes fluttering open. They focus on Dream, dark and sleepy, and something stirs low in Dream's stomach. But he ignores it, concentrating on the speech he has prepared in his mind.

"Come with me," Dream says quietly. "I know it's early but just... trust me."

George sighs, curling further into his sleeping bag. But there's a glimmer of worry in his eyes as his gaze flickers over Dream. "Is everything alright?"

"Everything's good," Dream says, sitting up. "Just follow me, George."

George mumbles something incoherent - Dream's willing to bet it's a bunch of insults directed at him - but he stretches and sits up, taking Dream's hand when he offers it. The others are still asleep in the classroom, and Dream tries to stay quiet as he leads George between sleeping bags and out of the classroom.

He shuts the door quietly behind them, and lets out a breath. George blinks at the bright lights of the hallway, wiping the sleep from his eyes. His hands are tucked into an oversized hoodie that belongs to Dream and, for a moment, Dream can barely control himself as he looks at him.

"What?" George asks, and Dream snaps out of his trance. "Why did you wake me up, idiot?"

"I - " Dream stammers, and catches himself. He needs this to be perfect. "I wanted to ask you something."

"At this hour?" George asks, gesturing at the classroom. "Everyone's still asleep."

"Exactly," Dream says, taking both of George's hands. His heart is thundering in his ears as he remembers every time he'd jokingly asked George, every time he'd jokingly been rejected. This time will be different though. This time, George can't say no.

"George," Dream starts, and George blinks the sleep from his eyes, looking more awake as he waits for what Dream is about to say. "Will you be my Valentine?"

George's POV

George stares at Dream, wondering if he'd heard him right or if he's still half-asleep.

But Dream's eyes are so wide and earnest, shining with hope, that George knows he's not dreaming. And he can't help the snort that escapes him, turning into a giggle.

Dream looks half-hopeful, half-affronted as George bites his lip to stifle his laughter. "What is it?"

"That's what you woke me up for?" George asks, between giggles. "You could have asked me that literally at any other time."

"Yeah," Dream says, squeezing George's hands. "But then the rest of my plan wouldn't have worked."

"You have a whole plan?" George asks, raising his eyebrows to hide the blush tinting his cheeks, the way he stumbles over his words at the thought of how much trouble Dream went to just for him.

Especially when he remembers every other year Dream had asked him and he had said no.

"Just in case," Dream mumbles, cheeks pink, and George has to bite his lip to keep from kissing him.

"So... you woke me up," George says, like he's listing reasons. "Way before anyone else. And now you want me to say yes to you?"

"Yes?" Dream says, looking hopeful again. "Come on... there's really no reason to say no, George."

George giggles again, even as his heartbeat stutters in his chest, his blood heating. "Of course I'm gonna say yes, idiot. You're my boyfriend, who else would be my Valentine?"

Dream's POV

The words thud through him, and he can't tell if he's heard them right. "You're... you're saying yes?"

George shrugs, but his cheeks are stained pink and he avoids Dream's gaze. "I mean, I don't really have a choice..."

Dream pulls George to his chest, wrapping his arms around him. George melts into him almost immediately, settling his head against Dream's shoulder. "You can't change your mind. If you're saying yes, then I'm officially your Valentine."

George sighs loudly, but there's a smile in his words. "Yes, you are. Happy?"

"Extremely," Dream says, burying his face in George's hair. His face is still burning, but he's more relieved than he thought he would be. After so many rejections, he can't believe George has actually agreed to be his Valentine.

"So, are we gonna do something?" George asks, still pressed against Dream's chest, his fists resting lightly on Dream's hips. "Because if not, I wanna go back to sleep."

"No!" Dream says, holding George tighter. "I mean, yes. We are. You can't go back to sleep."

He's already told Karl to tell the others that him and George will be gone for the day. Karl, who's the only other one who remembered Valentine's Day, who  helped Dream come up with his plan. He wonders if Sapnap will remember to ask Karl to be his Valentine. He'd better, actually, or Dream will remind him himself.

"We're going for a drive," Dream announces as he leads George by the hand through the quiet hallways.

"To where?" George asks, innocently, and Dream refuses to meet his gaze or he might accidentally tell him.

"It's a secret," he says. "You'll figure it out once we're on the way."

George complains only half-heartedly as they get into the car, but his cheeks flush pink the second he catches sight of the red rose laying on his seat.

"It's for you," Dream says, barely getting the words out with the millions of worries running through his mind. "And," he adds, grabbing a bouquet of dandelions from the back of the car. "So are these. Your favourite flowers."

George stammers something as he looks between the flowers, taken aback. "I - when did you plan all this?"

Dream just smirks, handing George the dandelions. "Wait until you see the rest. It gets better."

"You're so incredibly cheesy, it's not even funny," George says, but he accepts the flowers, a small smile tugging at his lips, and Dream's heart warms as he starts the car.

"And I'm gonna be extra cheesy," Dream says. "For all the times you rejected me. This is my revenge."

George rolls his eyes, clutching the flowers tightly as Dream speeds away from the school in their convertible. "Wow, what a threat," he deadpans, and Dream grins and pinches his side in retaliation.

"Actually, I wanna know," Dream says, his voice light, even as his thoughts grow serious. "Why did you really say no to me all those years?"

"It doesn't matter," George mumbles, but he answers anyway. "How could I say yes if you were obviously joking? Neither of us liked each other at the time. Or we didn't know if we did, anyway."

"Well," Dream says. "You definitely knew. You're the one who refused to say I love you, not me."

George scoffs and Dream grins. "You're insufferable."

"You're such an idiot," Dream shoots back and George just shakes his head at him. But he slips his hand into Dream's, squeezing slightly.

"Okay, but actually," George says. "Where the muffin are we going?"

But all Dream says is, "You'll see," as he heads in the direction of their old apartment in Florida.

George's POV

George only risks smelling the flowers when Dream stops the car in a vaguely familiar parking lot and gets out of the car for whatever reason. He's touched, but he's not about to let Dream know that. Even if it's the nicest thing anyone's ever done for him. Dream would tease him about it forever if he did.

"Come on out," Dream calls, snapping George out of his thoughts. He quickly gets out of the car, but he can't bring himself to let go of the flowers. So he brings them with him, taking Dream's hand with his free one.

There's a few zombies roaming around and the building they're standing in front of is in ruins. But George still recognizes it.

"This is the airport, isn't it?" he asks, and Dream nods.

"This is the first place you ever landed in Florida. And that," Dream adds, pointing down the road toward another crumbling building. "Is where I first saw you. Standing outside on the first day of school."

George's cheeks feel warm. "You remember that?"

Dream just shrugs. "I told you I'd be cheesy."

He leads George to their old school, and George remembers every moment of his first day; standing outside, alone, as he noticed the tall, beautiful, green-eyed guy staring at him from across the courtyard. He'd never understood why Dream approached him, never understood why they had had a connection from the start.

"This is our first official date," Dream announces as they enter the school's stairwell. They climb flight after flight until they reach the roof. George blinks as he spots the crimson blanket laid on the roof's floor, piled with food and drinks. "You said you wanted me to buy the food."

George snorts but he can't stop staring at the makeshift table for two. "Where did you get all this?"

"I pulled some strings," Dream says mysteriously. He moves toward the middle of the roof. "Remember when we used to eat lunch up here? With Sapnap?"

George huffs a laugh. "Of course I remember."

Dream just smiles at him, his eyes warm and open. And it's suddenly difficult to breathe, suddenly impossible to speak.

Until Dream blinks and looks back toward the food. "We should probably eat this before it gets cold. If it's not already freezing."

George laughs and follows Dream to the blanket. His eyes go wide at all of the food and drinks Dream's managed to find, and he wonders again how much planning went into this. And what would have happened if he'd said no to Dream's question.

"George?" Dream asks and George looks up to meet his gaze. And suddenly, he can't look away. Not as Dream shifts a little closer to him, their arms brushing. George's mouth goes dry as Dream traces a finger over his knuckles, warm and gentle. He looks back up, locking their gazes. "Happy Valentine's Day, George," Dream says, and George doesn't know what to say.

So he leans forward and brushes a kiss over Dream's lips.

His lips tingle as he pulls back, and he realizes Dream's hand is still cupped over his. Realizes it, just as Dream closes the distance between them, and his lips touch George's.

The kiss is soft and perfect and George's thoughts dissipate. All he can think as he melts into Dream, is that he'd been an idiot not to say yes before. Not to admit his feelings years ago, before the world got destroyed by zombies.

George winds his arms around Dream's neck, shifting to sit in his lap as Dream's arms wrap around his waist. And for a few moments, as he sits on that rooftop in Dream's arms, the world is perfect.

"Happy Valentine's Day, Dream," he breathes against Dream's mouth. Dream just hums in response and locks their lips together again, and George lets himself get lost in the kiss for as long as he can.

Dream's POV

They're both quiet on the way back from their old school. Dream because he's trying to sort through his thoughts. George, Dream guesses, because he's too flustered to say anything after their date.

Their first date and their first Valentine's. Dream still can't believe it, still doesn't know if he's dreaming. But he doesn't want it to end, doesn't want to get back to the school.

Dream stops the car by the school, and neither of them get out.

"Dream," George says, finally, and Dream mentally prepares to have to go back inside. But instead, he feels something warm at his mouth and, when he looks at George, he finds him pressing a chocolate against his lips. "This is my present. I stole it from your stash of food."

Dream huffs a laugh. "Look who's being cheesy now, idiot," he says, but he opens his mouth to let George pop the chocolate in. George's hand brushes against his lips, sending a shiver through him, as George smirks at him.

"I had fun," he says, watching Dream chew the chocolate. "We should do this again, sometime."

Dream almost chokes on his chocolate. "You mean, you wanna go on another date?"

George shrugs. "I guess" he says unenthusiastically. But he blushes when Dream grins and pecks him on the lips.

"It's a deal," he says. "Oh, and one more thing," he adds, before George can get out of the car. "We're doing this every Valentine's Day."

George scoffs. "This?"

"You know what I mean," Dream says. "From now on, you have to be my Valentine. Forever."

George opens his mouth, looking unsure what to say, his cheeks stained pink. But then, he sighs and pinches Dream's side. "Forever," he says, a  smile touching his lips. And Dream can't help his own smile as he imagines the Valentine's Days to come.

(2296 words)

Notes:

I'm probably not gonna post another chapter until Sunday, but the story is getting to the end (kind of, lol). Also, Happy late Valentine's Day! <3

Chapter 52: An Exit

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: swearing, weapons, mild zombies

Techno shuts the caf doors behind them, and Skeppy suddenly feels a hundred times more nervous than before.

Bad squeezes his hand like he knows how he's feeling, and Skeppy tries to focus on that warmth, on Bad's nearness.

"Well, good luck, guys!" Karl says animatedly, but his voice trembles a little. Quackity steps closer to him protectively, but he nods at Bad, Skeppy, and Techno.

"If you motherfuckers die or something..." Quackity starts, and Bad yelps, "Language!" before he can finish. Quackity looks incredulous. "You really just interrupted my speech? This could literally be the last time we ever see each other, and you just interrupted me?"

Bad blushes. "Well, you didn't have to swear, you muffinhead."

"Okay, fine," Quackity says. "Have fun killing all those zombies without listening to my speech, asshole."

"Quackity, wait," Skeppy says, stepping in, and he catches Techno rolling his eyes at the seriousness of the conversation. He glares at him, but Techno raises his brows. So he turns back to Quackity, who's avoiding his gaze. "Bad didn't mean it. We wanna hear your speech."

"I mean..." Karl says, but Quackity ignores him, looking between Skeppy and Bad.

"You really mean it?" he asks, and Bad sighs, but nods.

"Okay!" Quackity says, dramatically. "If you motherfuckers die or something, I will literally kill you for being stupid. Got it?"

Karl cups a hand over his mouth to keep from giggling, Techno clears his throat but can't keep the smile off his face, and Bad just stares at Quackity.

Quackity looks proud of himself, like he's waiting for Bad or Skeppy to say something.

"That's your speech?" Skeppy asks.

"You made us wait for that?" Bad says, and Quackity looks offended enough that Karl clears his throat and steps in.

"Before we get into that," Karl says, a smile tugging at his lips. "We should probably get moving. You know, George is still missing, right?"

"No one asked," Quackity mutters, and Karl bites his lip to keep in his laughter, even as Bad glares at him. But Quackity goes serious again as he looks between Bad and Skeppy. "See you guys, later," he says, offering them a half-smile, and Bad waves as him and Karl disappear down the hallway to start their mission.

"I guess my speech is pretty much the same as Quackity's," Techno says, and Bad looks exasperated.

"Does no one have anything better to say?" he wonders aloud, and Skeppy giggles.

"See you, Techno," Skeppy says, throwing his arms around him. Techno hugs him back, and smiles at both of them before they all split up to go on their own missions.

"Okay, let's go, Skeppy," Bad says, grabbing Skeppy's hand, and starting down a random hallway.

"Where are we even going?" Skeppy asks, as Bad pokes his head into every classroom they pass by.

"We need to find weapons, right?" Bad says, looking into another room. "But we don't know where they are, so we have to start looking somewhere."

"So we're gonna go through every classroom?"

Bad sighs. "Yes, Skeppy. What, do you have a better idea?"

"I mean..." Skeppy starts, and he stifles a giggle as Bad glares at him. But then, a growl sounds behind them and Skeppy shrieks, hiding behind Bad. "Protect me, Bad!"

"Why would I do that, you literally know how to fight?" Bad asks, exasperated, but he still fights off the zombie while Skeppy clings to his shirt. "Happy?" he asks as the zombie falls to the ground.

Skeppy gives him a cheeky grin. "Yup. Thanks, Bad."

Bad sighs, kisses him on the head, and mutters, "I hate you."

"I hate you, too," Skeppy says, threading his fingers through Bad's shirt to keep him close. "Now, let's go."

"Let go of me, you muffin!" Bad exclaims, but he doesn't make any move to untangle Skeppy from him, and there's a small smile on his face as they keep moving.

"Bad, look!" Skeppy says, as they cross into a new hallway. He points at the first room, the door partially open. "Weapons!"

"What?" Bad asks, turning to face the room, and Skeppy takes his moment of distraction to kiss him on the cheek.

Bad blushes as he turns to Skeppy. "What was that for?" he asks, his anger disappearing.

Skeppy shrugs, his heartbeat kicking into a thud. "For protecting me. It's a thank you."

Bad's blush deepens and he squeezes Skeppy's hand. And before he can say anything, Skeppy lets go of his hand. "Now, hurry up, we're supposed to be looking for weapons, remember?"

"Oh my God, Skeppy!" Bad yells as Skeppy takes off down the hall. "I still hate you!"

"Hate you more!" Skeppy shouts back gleefully as Bad starts to run after him. But he can't stay mad for long, Skeppy decides, turning a corner. Not when the classroom he's leading him to is Techno's secret stashhouse of weapons.

Karl's POV

"Come on, Q," Karl tries as they walk down a hallway, searching for an exit that isn't blocked by zombies. "You can't stay mad at Dream forever."

"Watch me," Quackity mutters, flipping his broomstick in his hands as a zombie comes toward them. "No, seriously, watch me," he adds, taking down two zombies with a swing of his broomstick.

"Wow!" Karl says, nodding and doing a slow clap. "That was really something."

Quackity glares at him. "I know what sarcasm is, dick," he says, and Karl has to clap a hand over his mouth to keep in his giggle.

"Come on, I didn't mean it, Alex," he says, slinging an arm over his shoulder. "You're actually super cool and a really good fighter. Way better than me."

"Yeah?" Quackity asks, turning to him. "Better than Sapnap?"

Karl suddenly goes into a coughing fit so that he can't answer the question and Quackity huffs out a laugh despite himself. Karl grins, squeezing Quackity's shoulders.

"But seriously," Karl says when their laughter's died down. "About Dream..."

Quackity sighs dramatically, swinging his broomstick harder than necessary as he takes down another zombie. Karl flinches slightly as the monster falls. "I'm not actually that mad at him. It's just the situation that's fucked."

Karl frowns as his heart squeezes with worry - about George and his kidnappers and Techno's relationship with them. "It is fucked. But we'll get George back, and it might help us find a cure for Sapnap, too."

Quackity gives him a sidelong look. "What was that conversation with Sapnap about, anyway?"

Karl blushes as he remembers. He still can't believe he actually asked Sapnap about moving in together. And that Sapnap had confessed to being in love with him. Twice.

But all he says is, "Which one, dude? There's been a few."

Quackity rolls his eyes and pretends to gag. "Don't remind me, actually. I can't stand being around you two lovebirds anymore."

Karl grins. "Well, the conversation you're talking about... I asked Sapnap to move in with me after the apocalypse. Well, indirectly. Kind of."

Quackity's eyes go wide as as stares at Karl. "You asked me to move in with you? What did he say?"

Karl shrugs. "He kind of agreed, to be honest. But we have to cure him first. Obviously. And we don't know if the apocalypse is gonna end."

"Stop rambling so much," Quackity exclaims. "Congratulations, Karl!"

Karl giggles as Quackity throws his arms around him. "Thanks, man," he says, still dazed at the idea. Until a group of zombies lurching toward them snaps him out of it. "Let's do this a little later, Q. There's a group of Z's at one o'clock."

"Oh, shit!" Quackity says, letting go of Karl. But he's not looking at the zombies coming toward them. He's looking past that.

Karl grins as he catches sight of what Quackity's staring at. Behind a group of zombies, he can see the front entrance of the school. As Quackity takes down the zombies coming at them, the grin spreads over Karl's face.

"Looks like we found our exit," he says.

Dream's POV

Montero's figured out a plan to rescue George, based on the maps Techno drew of the community center and the other details he's given him.

He explains it all to Dream and Sapnap as they sit in a corner, gesturing enthusiastically at different parts of the plan. Dream almost has to smile at how eager he is to help them.

"It's a good plan," Sapnap says nonchalantly at the end of it. Dream rolls his eyes at Sapnap's newest attempt to act unimpressed and the amused look Montero gives him says he knows what Sapnap's trying to do.

"Me, Karl, and Quackity will stay here," Montero says. "To keep an eye on you, Sapnap, and on the school."

"Are you sure that's enough protection?" Dream wonders, thinking of how much Karl and Montero hate fighting.

But Sapnap shakes his head. "It'll be alright. I can protect them, too."

Dream wonders if he has to remind him that he's injured. But just then, there's a knock on the caf doors. Dream, Sapnap, and Montero all freeze. Sapnap makes to try to get up, but Dream stops him.

"We don't know who it is," Dream whispers in warning.

"What if it's Karl?" Sapnap snaps back.

"Guys, let us in!" Quackity's voice sounds, faint and annoyed, through the door.

Dream lets out a breath and Sapnap starts struggling to get to his feet. Dream helps him up as Montero opens the doors. Sapnap's gaze lands on Karl immediately and Karl runs to him, burying his face into his chest. And Sapnap, even as he winces, wraps his arms around Karl, looking relieved. Something like a pang of jealousy hits Dream as he thinks of George, and he has to turn away, his throat burning.

But the jealousy, the pain, disappears with Quackity's next words. "We've found an exit."

(1645 words)

Notes:

Hope you guys enjoyed! <3<3

Chapter 53: Stop The Car

Notes:

This one's a bit of a shorter chapter, but you'll see why. Enjoy! <3

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: swearing, weapons

"You found an exit?" Dream breathes, almost dizzy with hope. He grabs Quackity's arm. "Where is it?"

"Let go of me, asshole," Quackity mutters, but he seems too excited to really care. "The front entrance, we cleared most of it. Once everyone gets back, we can leave."

Montero glances at Dream, who knows what he's about to say as he steps forward. "Um, Quackity. You're gonna stay here with me and Karl and Sapnap. We need someone to protect us in case zombies attack, you know?"

Quackity stares at him. Then, he looks to Dream. Then, back at Montero. "You're so lucky you're famous, pal," he mumbles. "And that I'm great at protecting people."

"Hey, look on the bright side," Karl says easily. He's still standing with Sapnap, an arm looped casually around his waist. "You'll have us for company."

Quackity scrunches his nose. "That's the bright side?"

"Can we get back to the exit?" Dream says impatiently. His heart is thudding in his chest, and he has to fight to stop from opening and closing his fists to keep his restlessness in check. Soon, he thinks. Soon, he'll rescue George.

"You guys found the exit?" Techno's voice says from the doors. Everyone whips around to find him, Bad, and Skeppy standing in the doorway. Each of them is holding as many weapons as they can carry. At everyone's questioning looks, Techno just shrugs. "I found them while I was killing zombies. We got these from my weapons stash."

"You have a weapons stash?" Quackity asks, turning on him, eyes wide. "And you didn't say anything?"

"Apparently, he told this muffinhead," Bad says, glaring pointedly at Skeppy, who just shrugs and blushes. But then, Bad's gaze lands on Dream. "We're good to go rescue George now, right?"

Dream's heart swells and he nods, barely able to put his thoughts into words. He catches Sapnap's gaze and, for a second, his heartbeat slows and he can breathe. Because the same emotions that he's feeling are shining in Sapnap's eyes, and it suddenly hits Dream again that George is their best friend. Sapnap might be the only person who can understand how he's feeling.

"Let's move, then," says Techno and Dream nods again, still dazed. The others start to move, to ready up.

"Bring George back," Sapnap says to Dream, clapping him on the shoulder with his good hand. His eyes are still shining and Dream wonders if he might cry. "Both of you have to come back. Got it, nimrod?"

Dream tries to scoff, but it comes out weak. "Obviously, idiot," he says. Then, he's hugging Sapnap, who buries his face into his shoulder. "I'll bring us both back," Dream murmurs. "Just focus on staying alive until then."

Sapnap pulls back, sniffles, and salutes. "Will do, Captain."

"I'll take care of him," Karl promises, waltzing over. He hugs Dream too, holding on tight. "Just come back soon."

Dream can barely sit still for the next ten minutes as the others ready up. Quackity comes up to him next to give a very pissed off and full of swear words speech that basically promises to kill him if he doesn't bring George back. Montero just wishes all of them luck, smiles warmly at Dream, and offers to put on a concert for all of them when they come back.

Bad and Skeppy wave as they leave, Techno holding the door open for them. Dream's the last one to leave the caf, and he can't help but look back. Sapnap just gestures to him to hurry up and leave. And Dream does, a grin playing on his lips.

Soon, he reminds himself as he follows the group out of the school and toward their car.

George's POV

"Gogy!" Tommy shouts, for the millionth time in ten minutes. "Do you think your friends will be upset with us?"

George rolls his eyes, both at Tommy's constant questioning and at his actual questions. "You kidnapped me, Tommy. What do you think?"

"Yeah, but we're returning you," Tommy says innocently.

"If you don't shut up," Tubbo announces from his corner of the room. "I'm going to assault you with a stool."

Ranboo sighs happily. "Always the violent one."

George scoffs, but it's not enough to hide his genuine smile. If they had met differently, George wonders if they might have been friends. Except for the kidnapping bit.

"Okay," Ranboo says, zipping up the last of the bags. "I think we're good to go."

George glances over the bags that they're bringing. "Isn't that a lot?" he wonders, staring at the fifty different guns.

Ranboo looks over them too, and shrugs. "You never know."

But Tubbo whispers to George, "Wilbur thinks we might have to stay somewhere else for tonight. Like if we accidentally meet Techno and Tommy decides to try something."

"What are you whispering about?" Tommy asks and Tubbo just flips him off, before finishing up his own packing.

"I've got it," Wilbur announces dramatically, walking into the room. George's heart freezes in his chest as he sees the vial Wilbur's holding. "The cure."

George can barely hold back a grin, and he has to stop himself from rushing over to Wilbur and snatching the vial from him. But, forcing his heart to calm and his voice to sound monotone, he asks, "Does it work?"

Wilbur looks so offended that George has to bite his lip to keep in a laugh. "Of course it works. I made it."

George shrugs. "Just making sure."

Wilbur shakes his head disappointedly and grabs a bag from next to Ranboo, who looks at him accusingly. "Are you three ready yet?" he asks Ranboo, Tubbo, and Tommy.

"Yup," Tubbo says, moving to stand next to George. "Let's go."

George can barely believe it when Wilbur nods, and leads them out of the lobby and outside. Can barely believe it when he ducks into the van again, motioning for George and the others to follow him. This time, Tubbo even offers George shotgun.

The van starts moving. And then, they're heading back in the direction of the school. George's heart is in his throat, his blood rushing through him, as he imagines seeing Dream again, imagines the look on Sapnap's face when he shows up with the cure. He can barely contain his excitement.

Ranboo and Tommy start bickering in the backseat, Wilbur hums a song, and Tubbo looks out the window quietly. The road blurs and at first George thinks it's just the speed of the van. But then, he realizes there are tears in his eyes. Embarrassed, he wipes them away. When he looks back up, Wilbur meets his eyes knowingly. But George smiles.

"You know what?" he says, to all of them. "I don't think Dream and the others will hate you. Once they've gotten to know you, anyway. And as long as you don't do anything dumb."

Wilbur huffs a laugh. "Is that supposed to be a compliment?"

George shrugs. "You're the genius. Figure it out."

The three in the back laugh quietly and Wilbur glares at them in the rearview mirror. George is so busy smirking, he almost doesn't notice the streak of red speeding towards them.

He blinks at the car coming at them, familiar and cherry-red. Wilbur frowns as he spots it too. He looks at George in question, but George can't form words. Can't think, as he notices the people in the convertible, holding weapons and coming to save him.

"Stop the car," he mumbles, and is too distracted to be grateful when Wilbur skids the van to a stop. The convertible keeps coming at them, and George rushes to get out of the car. They need to see him, to recognize him, or they'll drive past. "You should probably stay here for now," he says to Wilbur and the others as he opens his door and almost falls out of the van.

The convertible is close enough now, that he can recognize Bad driving it, Skeppy seated next to him. And in the back seat, beside Techno...

Somehow, even from that distance, familiar green eyes lock onto his. And widen.

George doesn't wait for Dream to tell the others to stop. He just runs toward the convertible, toward his boyfriend. Toward hope.

"Dream!" he calls, voice breaking.

Bad slams the breaks, recognizing him, and the convertible spins to a stop. George just keeps running until he's within a few feet of the car. Until Dream stumbles out, tears shining in his eyes.

"George," he says, and that's all he manages before George runs into his arms.

(1435 words)

Notes:

Yay, dnf is reunited!! Hope y'all enjoyed! <3

Chapter 54: I Missed You, Idiot

Chapter Text

Tw: swearing, mild weapons

George is crying but Dream can barely hear him over his own sobs.

His arms wrap around George's shoulders and he never wants to let go, not as he breathes in the familiar scent, not as George nestles into his chest, burying his face against his shoulder, or as Dream presses his cheek against George's hair. Suddenly, their time apart feels like an eternity, and he doesn't know what to say first, how to start telling George everything that has happened since he disappeared.

But turns out, he doesn't have to. Because George mumbles a quiet, "I missed you, idiot," against his chest, and Dream surprises himself with a chuckle.

"I missed you too, George," he whispers, shooting a grin at George as he pulls back so they can see eachother's faces. "I had no one to fluster while you were gone."

George scoffs, rolls his eyes, and blushes a pretty pink. "Wow, I'm sure you were so bored."

"I was," Dream says, and he leans down to peck him on the lips.

"Oh my God, my eyes!" someone yells, and Dream's head snaps up to find three teenagers watching them.

"Okay, that's not creepy," Dream mutters, as one of the others, who's wearing a mask and glasses, cries dramatically, "Not in front of the children!"

George groans and rubs a hand over his face. "How do I even begin to explain this?"

Dream frowns, looking between the teenagers and George until his eyes catch on...

Dream's heart tightens and he clamps his hands into fists as he spots the dark van. The one that George had been taken by. He flicks his gaze back to George, who swallows at the intense look in his eyes. "Is that the van that took you?"

"Yes," George starts. "But - "

"Are those the people that took you?" Dream asks, and he suddenly recognizes the blond teenager and the older guy sitting behind the wheel of the van. Anger surges through him and he grabs for his knives. The blond kid takes a few steps back, raising his hands in innocence. But Dream barely notices. His vision goes red, and all he see is George being taken from him, all he can feel is the fear and agony he felt as he watched George disappear.

"Dream!" George says, gripping the sleeves of his hoodie tightly to keep him from rushing at the strangers. "Listen to me. Before you make a stupid mistake."

Dream's trembling with anger, but he forces himself to look at George, even if the tension doesn't leave his body. "Tell me," he orders.

"Fine, I will," George says, defiantly. And, even though he's still pissed as hell and worried, a small part of him really wants to kiss his boyfriend. George gestures back at the strangers, and Dream shakes the urge from his mind. "They did technically kidnap me, but it was a misunderstanding."

Dream snorts, but George glares at him and he shuts up. "As I was saying," George continues pointedly.  "They know Techno. He used to be a part of their group. And when they saw me, they thought that it would get Techno's attention if they kidnapped me."

George pauses and Dream waits. But then, he realizes George has nothing more to say. "That's it?" Dream explodes. "That's the misunderstanding? How's that a misunderstanding?"

George shrugs and mutters, "I don't know, ask them. But, not violently," he adds when Dream grabs his knives again. "They're literally teenagers."

"They could be toddlers and I'd still be just as pissed," Dream mumbles and George huffs a laugh that brings a small smile to Dream's lips despite himself.

But Dream goes tense again and George grabs his hand to hold him back as the blond kid approaches them carefully. He looks nervous and sheepish as he scratches his head, barely meeting Dream's gaze. "Um, hey, man. I just wanted to say, sorry for kidnapping your boyfriend. It wasn't personal."

"Wasn't personal?" Dream growls and the kid suddenly looks terrified.

George sighs. "He'll accept your apology eventually. He's kind of overprotective, to be clear."

Dream whips around to face him. "Over protective? I'm not overprotective."

The blond kid still looks uncomfortable. "Well, anyway, I'm Tommy. That's Tubbo and Ranboo" - Tubbo and Ranboo both wave and Dream wonders if they expect him to wave back or something - "And the guy in the van is Wilbur. He's sorry, too, for the record."

Dream opens his mouth to retort, but then George gasps. Dream turns and finds the others piling out of the convertible to meet them. Techno is the last to get out and he hangs back, looking warily at the teenagers and the van, and it suddenly hits Dream that he knows them. That he has some kind of history with them.

He looks back, and finds Tommy glaring at Techno, a burning rage in his eyes. Tubbo and Ranboo look more concerned than anything, and Dream notices that they've moved close enough to grab him if they need to.

Dream's wondering if he should be doing something to stop the possible fight about to break out, when a commotion by the convertible distracts him and the others.

"George!" Bad and Skeppy cheer, and George runs to hug them both, then Techno, not realizing that Techno is too distracted to really notice.

"I'm so glad you're okay!" Bad says, squeezing George's arm. "We all missed you. I don't know how you managed to make friends with those muffinheads, though," he adds reproachfully, glancing pointedly at Tommy and the others.

"We all thought they were evil," Skeppy adds in a louder voice than he means to, and Bad swats him on the arm. "But, like, I don't know, maybe they're okay. They seem okay."

Dream looks back at Tommy, at the anger in his eyes and the hands he's clamped into fists, and wonders if okay is the right word for it.

Techno sighs from beside the convertible. "Alright, before this gets any more tense, I can explain, Tommy."

That gets everyone's attention. George, Bad, and Skeppy whip around, finally noticing the simmering tension between the others. Dream finds himself reaching for his knives, just in case he needs to break up a fight.

"There's nothing to explain," Tommy snaps. "You left before you could, anyway."

Wilbur looks furious as well, but Tubbo and Ranboo seem focused on keeping their friends from fighting. Like mediators.

Techno rolls his eyes. "You know there was more to it than that. And you know it wasn't only my fault."

"It was your fault!" Tommy exclaims, looking ready to launch himself at Techno. "You betrayed us!"

"I did not betray you," Techno starts, but then, Bad of all people steps in between them, holding up his hands.

"Guys," he says, to both of them. "Whatever happened between you two, you guys can figure it out later. Right now, if you don't mind, we need to get George back to our place, and we need to save our other friend."

That throws both of them off. Techno blinks like he's remembering George and Sapnap, and Tommy frowns. "Who the fuck is this guy?" he asks, and Bad yelps, "Language!"

"You get used to it," George mutters to Tommy. "But he's right about one thing. Dream," he adds, and his eyes are shining when Dream meets his gaze. They're so bright, Dream can't look away, and he almost misses George's next words. "Wait until you see what Wilbur brought. Then, maybe you won't hate them anymore."

"I doubt that," Dream says, and Tommy has the nerve to look offended.

"I wouldn't be so sure," Wilbur calls. He's gotten out of the van, and he walks toward them, making sure to ignore Techno. He holds something up. "Look what I've got."

Dream squints as the sun hits a glass vial...

Bad gasps and Techno looks relieved. "Is that the cure?" Skeppy asks, glancing between Techno and Wilbur.

George nods excitedly. "How's Sapnap holding up?"

"He's okay, for now," Dream assures him, even though he can't take his eyes off the vial that could save him. "But he could definitely be better."

"We'll offer it for a price," Tommy announces, and George whips around, looking confused.

"That's not what you said before," he says. "You said I could just have it."

Tommy shrugs, dramatically. "Things change, Gogy."

Dream's focus snags on the name Gogy and he glances questioningly at George, who ignores him.

"Okay, what do you want?" George asks.

"Techno," Tommy says.

Techno snorts, even as the others look shocked. But he nods. "Fine, Tommy. I'll go with you guys, if you give us the cure. But," he adds, when Tommy looks surprised. "First, we need to make sure it works. If you come with us to our base, and the cure actually works, then I'll go with you."

"Techno," Skeppy argues, but Techno shakes his head.

"Deal," Tommy agrees, and him and Techno move closer to shake hands. Techno's gaze is hard, and Tommy still looks furious.

Dream knows better than to argue when Techno glances at him. So he just nods, and claps his shoulder in thanks. It's because of him that they'll be able to save Sapnap.

"Let's move," Techno calls over his shoulder, sliding back into the convertible. Bad and Skeppy follow him, and the others pile into the van.

"Come on," Dream says to George, holding out his hand. George looks worried, and grips Dream's hand too tightly."We'll figure it out," Dream says quietly to him. "Once we get there. Once we save Sapnap."

George hesitates, then nods. And when they climb into the convertible, he sits next to Dream, snuggling against him. Dream loops an arm around his narrow shoulders, grateful for the warmth of George's body against his.

The convertible starts up, and the van follows it as they speed down the road. And even though Dream is worried about Sapnap, about Techno, he lets himself forget his worries for a little. Lets himself relax with George in his arms, and cherish the time he has with him.

"I'm glad you're back," he whispers against George's ear. "Actually."

George pinches him and mutters, "Whatever, idiot," unenthusiastically. But he curls up a little closer to Dream, his ear over his heart. And Dream could swear he wipes away a tear as they speed down the road, even though if he ever asked him he would blame it on the wind.

But a smile stays on both of their faces all the way back to the school.

(1762 words)

Chapter 55: Restless Energy

Notes:

Some Karl backstory, y'all...

Enjoy <3<3

Chapter Text

Tw: swearing, weapons, angst, mention of smoking, mention of character death (this is NOT any of the main characters)

Sapnap doesn't know how to feel as he watches Dream and the others disappear through the caf doors.

Karl's arm is looped tightly around his waist like he's keeping both of them from running after their friends. Quackity looks like he wishes he'd just gone instead of listening to Montero's plan. And Sapnap's heart is pounding like it's gonna burst out of his chest.

Karl catches the look on his face and squeezes his waist gently. "They'll be fine, Nick. Don't even worry about it." Sapnap snorts. "What you should be worried about," Karl continues. "Is your injury. You should be lying down."

"I don't want to lie down," Sapnap mutters, even though he's a little dizzy. But he's also restless. He wants to grab his gun and rush into the halls to take down some zombies. Anything to keep his thoughts away from Dream and George and the others.

"I'll lie down with you," Karl announces, innocently, and Sapnap's mind is suddenly hyper-focused, his cheeks flooding with warmth. "At a respectable distance, of course."

"I'm leaving," Quackity mutters, and Sapnap huffs a laugh at how uncomfortable he looks. Quackity grabs Montero's arm and drags him to the doors. "We'll just be patrolling the halls. On the other side of the school. As far away from here as physically possible."

Karl giggles and waves. "Have fun," he calls as the caf doors close behind them. Leaving Sapnap alone with Karl in the suddenly silent caf. His heart is thundering in his chest, loud enough that he wonders if Karl can hear it.

Karl turns back to him, a smile on his face. But it fades when he meets Sapnap's eyes. "You're flushed," he says, placing a cool hand on his forehead. Sapnap closes his eyes at the touch. "And you're burning up. You really should be lying down."

"Fine," Sapnap says, and he lets Karl lead him toward a corner of the caf. Karl shrugs off his button up shirt and Sapnap's heart jolts... but Karl's wearing a thin turtleneck underneath. What's wrong with him, he wonders, as Karl bunches his shirt up and places it below Sapnap's head like a pillow.

"There, now you'll be comfortable," Karl says, meeting his gaze. But then, the look in his eyes changes a little, a gleam that Sapnap can't really figure out. A smile tugs at Karl's lips. "Are you sure you really have a fever? Or are you just using this as an excuse to make me take care of you?"

Sapnap blushes, stammering a reply. "Of course not, you nimrod. I'm injured, remember?"

"Yeah, of course," Karl agrees, lying down beside him on his side, so that he's facing him. "Doesn't mean you aren't being dramatic about it."

"You wish," Sapnap mumbles and Karl grins wildly.

"Well if that's the case," Karl says. He brings a hand to Sapnap's chest and starts tracing small, abstract patterns there that make every thought in Sapnap's brain disappear. "Then, maybe you should sleep."

The hand disappears and Sapnap starts at the sudden loss. "What do you mean, sleep?" he almost growls, wondering if Karl is doing this deliberately.

He can practically hear the shrug in Karl's voice. "You know, if you're so injured, then you should probably be sleeping. That's how you get better."

Of course he's doing it deliberately, Sapnap realizes, and the thought almost makes him snort. But he stops himself. Two can play this game.

"Okay, I'll sleep," Sapnap says, stretching a little for dramatic effect. "Would you mind getting Quackity for me? I kind of want him protecting me. You know, so zombies don't kill me while I'm resting."

Karl tries to hide a snort, but fails miserably. "Yeah, sure, I'll get Quackity. Then at least I'll have something interesting to do while you're sleeping."

Sapnap's eyes snap open and Karl bursts into laughter. "That's not funny," Sapnap growls but Karl's laughter is contagious and he finds himself fighting a smile, despite himself.

When they finally calm down, Karl snuggles closer to him, one hand tracing Sapnap's cheeks and pushing back his hair. "On second thought, maybe I'll just stay here. I'm sure Quackity won't mind, anyway."

Sapnap wraps his good arm around Karl's shoulders and they're quiet for a bit, a comfortable silence.

Until Sapnap feels the change in Karl's posture, the tension in his shoulders. "What is it?" he asks immediately, shifting so he can see Karl better. To his shock, Karl's eyes are glimmering with tears, his lip trembling as he wipes them away. Sapnap puts his hand under Karl's chin, dragging his gaze towards him. "What's wrong?" he asks, panic settling in a little.

Karl sniffles. "I've just been thinking. About... everything." Karl shifts too, so that he's looking at Sapnap fully. "I wanted to tell you about my backstory. Just in case I don't get to, later."

Cold dread hits Sapnap as he realizes what he means. But he nods. "Only if you're comfortable. I don't need to know unless you want me to."

Karl blinks away his tears and says, a little firmer, "I do want you to. So you can understand."

Sapnap nods and waits. Waits for Karl to collect himself enough to tell him. He'd be lying if he said he wasn't curious. But he also meant what he said to Karl. He won't push him to tell him anything he doesn't want to.

Still, his heart feels heavy as he looks at Karl. The fact that he wants to tell him, even though it's so hard to talk about...

"Okay," Karl says, finally. His hand is still, for once, on Sapnap's chest, clutching the fabric of his hoodie. "It happened when I was in college. You remember how I told you I used to do a lot of stupid things? And hang out with a lot of bad people?"

Sapnap nods, the image of Karl telling him still vivid in his mind. Like the fear that he felt whenever Karl did something stupid to prove a point, or risked his life when he didn't have to.

"In college I hung out with a lot of bad people," Karl continues. "They used to smoke stuff and carry guns and stuff. And they would always do the dumbest stuff. Sometimes, I would join them, even though I knew it was dumb, because it was something exciting to do. I had a lot of restless energy pent up and I needed something to do with it."

Sapnap knows how that feels. That same restless energy makes it almost impossible to stay still as he remembers Dream and George.

"We never really got hurt," Karl says. "At least, not bad enough that we thought we should stop. But one day, my group got mixed up with another group. They were older and a lot more dangerous than we were. The leader of my group decided we should try to ambush them, so that they'd be too scared to do anything to us. I agreed, for some reason. Even though none of us really knew how to use weapons, we all brought guns, to look more intimidating or something."

A cold fear settles in Sapnap's heart as he realizes where this is going, how this relates to Karl's phobia of guns.

Karl takes a deep breath. "We ambushed the guys, but... they were expecting us. And they knew how to use weapons. The leader of my group... he got shot by one of them. He died on the spot. And the rest of us ran as fast as we fucking could. We never talked about it again but, ever since, I haven't been able to hold a gun or even look at one without remembering it. Without remembering that I could have saved him, but I didn't."

The cold in Sapnap's heart has spread through his blood, but he grabs Karl's hand and squeezes it tightly. "You could have died if you tried to save him. Instead, almost all of you survived."

Karl's eyes are filled with tears again as he squeezes Sapnap's hand back. "I know, but... it was just such a stupid mistake. It shouldn't have happened. But it did and I didn't do anything to stop it. I just went along with it." He shakes his head. "I could have died, too, all because of that one mistake."

"But you didn't," Sapnap says firmly. "You survived and you got stronger because of it. And now, you're strong enough to talk about it."

"I just want you to be different," Karl says softly. "I want to protect you even if it means risking my life. Because, for once, I didn't make a stupid mistake when I fell in love with you."

A knot sticks in Sapnap's throat and he can't speak for a second. His eyes sting and he doesn't know what to say, how he can tell Karl exactly what the words mean to him, what his trust means to him. What he means to him.

Words aren't enough. As he looks into Karl's beautiful, glossy eyes, he knows that what he's feeling is love, like nothing he's ever felt before.

"I love you, too," Sapnap mumbles, right before he brings his lips to Karl's.

(1544 words)

Chapter 56: The Upperhand

Notes:

Okay, this chapter is basically all smut, so fair warning. I hope this isn't terrible and that y'all like it <3

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: SMUT

Sapnap's kiss seems to melt away all the stress and fear in Karl's heart, until he can barely remember what he'd been scared about in the first place.

His heart pounds in his ears, Sapnap's words echoing in his head: I love you, too. He still loves him. After what he'd told him. After he'd confessed his backstory. He doesn't blame him for it. That, by itself, almost lets him forgive himself for not being able to protect that guy years ago.

"Karl," Sapnap murmurs onto his lips, breaking through Karl's thoughts. His hands are warm on his waist, and Karl realizes he's somehow moved from lying next to him to lying halfway on top of him. He feels his cheeks grow warm, especially at the look Sapnap gives him. His green eyes are liquid and dark, and the look makes Karl shiver.

"What is it, nimrod?" he asks lightly, pulling away to tap a finger against Sapnap's lips, restlessly. His body feels warm everywhere, his clothes too tight, especially where he's pressed against Sapnap.

The look in Sapnap's eyes says enough about what he's thinking. But Karl smirks a little, his fingers stilling but staying pressed against Sapnap's lips. "What is it?" he repeats, and Sapnap lets out a low growl that sends heat rippling through him.

Suddenly, whatever he'd been thinking about before dissipates, leaving his head empty of any thoughts except for that look Sapnap is pinning him with.

"I want to kiss you until you forget about everything," Sapnap mumbles, and Karl almost moans at his words, but manages to stop himself.

"What's stopping you?" he asks instead, tracing his gaze down Sapnap's face and moving a hand to draw circles over Sapnap's chest. Sapnap groans lightly, and Karl shivers.

"I want to make sure you're okay," Sapnap manages, the words serious enough that Karl pauses to look at him again. "I need your permission," Sapnap says, grabbing his hand and lacing their fingers.

Karl huffs a laugh and Sapnap closes his eyes at the sound. "Of course you have my permission, Nick. I'm good if you are."

Sapnap opens his eyes. "You're sure?"

Karl nods, feeling his heart flutter in his chest in anticipation. "Positive," he says, his voice a little husky as he imagines what Sapnap might do to him.

That's all Sapnap needs. He grabs Karl's hips again, pulling him fully onto him, and locks their lips together.

Karl groans as his body presses fully against Sapnap's, his warmth seeping into him, his stomach pressing against...

Karl shifts and Sapnap gasps, deepening their kiss in revenge. Karl smirks against his mouth, even as Sapnap digs his fingers into Karl's hips, making him shiver. He slides his fingers into Sapnap's hair, tugging roughly on the edges until Sapnap growls. In one swift move, Sapnap's flipped them over, pinning Karl to the floor.

"You're not getting the upperhand this time," Sapnap says in a low voice, and he moves his mouth to Karl's neck.

Karl gasps as his teeth graze the skin at his collarbone, and he can't think anymore, can't think past the fact that he doesn't even mind letting Sapnap be in control. Doesn't mind him having the upperhand.

"Take your shirt off," Sapnap growls, and the demand in his voice is enough for Karl's hands to go to the collar of his shirt. He tugs it off, the air suddenly cool on his exposed skin, and looks to Sapnap for a reaction. Sapnap, who's eyes are dark and liquid as they roam freely over Karl's chest.

His eyes lift slowly to Karl's, who freezes under the gaze. "Has anyone ever told you," Sapnap murmurs, leaning over to graze his jaw with his lips. "How pretty you are?"

Karl lets out a breathy laugh that sounds high-pitched as Sapnap plants feather-light kisses over his cheek. "Many people, actually. There was this one guy..."

Karl cuts himself off as Sapnap grabs his chin and kisses him deeply. "Shut up," Sapnap says against his lips, and Karl grins wildly, letting Sapnap kiss him until he's out of breath and his head is spinning. "By the time we're done, you're gonna forget there another guy. Ever."

The words are so husky, so quiet, Karl wonders if he's imagined them. But then, he feels Sapnap, his length, brush against him again and it's hard enough that Karl can barely think straight. Not as he remembers their last time, in that classroom. Back then, he'd had the upperhand, but now...

He rocks his hips upward a bit and Sapnap hisses. "You sure you have the upperhand, Nick?" Karl asks innocently, shifting again so that his legs brush against the length.

But Sapnap just smirks. "Watch me."

He trails kisses down Karl's chest, each of them soft and light and burning a trail over his skin. But then, he reaches the button on Karl's pants and his hand hovers over it, like Karl's had before.

Sapnap doesn't waste anytime unfastening the button and Karl has to swallow a moan as Sapnap's hand grazes him. If he wasn't hard before, he is as Sapnap grabs his length so suddenly that he can't help his moan this time.

Sapnap's gaze meets his, intense and full of heat. "You were saying something?" he asks, moving his hand until Karl tips his head back and bites his lip to keep in a groan.

Karl can't think enough to form an answer, but he knows Sapnap hasn't really won. Not yet. He can feel it in the way Sapnap gets impatient, his length bulging against the constraints of his jeans.

Karl sits up, soothing Sapnap's protests with a kiss. "Off?" he asks, but he doesn't wait for an answer as he tugs off Sapnap's hoodie and runs his hands over his chest. Sapnap shivers, despite himself, as Karl reaches for the button on his pants and pushes down his jeans. Sapnap kicks them off, too impatient to even care as he chucks them to the side.

Sapnap goes to kiss Karl, but Karl flips their positions, until he's on top of Sapnap, grazing him. "Karl," Sapnap murmurs, but Karl doesn't listen. He tugs off Sapnap's boxers, exposing his length and his mouth goes dry, his head emptying of all thoughts. "Be careful, Karl," Sapnap warns as Karl tugs off his own boxers and positions himself over Sapnap.

He meets Sapnap's eyes, head clearing enough to reassure him. "I've never been so sure of anything, Nick," he says quietly, and Sapnap pauses, then nods. But he interlocks both of their hands, and Karl squeezes them tightly as he lowers himself onto Sapnap's length.

There's a burst of pain and his eyes well with tears at the same time as Sapnap lets out a string of curses. His hands squeeze Karl's reassuringly, until the pain goes away and Karl can move again. Until the pain is replaced with pleasure as Karl shifts to get comfortable.

"Stop that, you... tease," Sapnap groans, grabbing Karl's hips to keep him steady. But Karl smirks and starts to move, slowly at first, than faster as he starts to figure out the pace.

He moans at the same time Sapnap does, moving faster. But Sapnap keeps his hands on his waist, dictating the pace, and Karl can't move fast enough to break free of him.

Until Sapnap suddenly tightens his hold on his hips and slams into him at a different angle and Karl suddenly can't breathe from the pleasure, from the stars bursting in front of his eyes. "Sapnap," he breathes, letting go of one hand to trace it over his own length, closing his eyes. But Sapnap grabs his hand again, not letting him touch himself, and pins it against his chest.

"Not yet," Sapnap pants, pounding into him faster. "Not until I say so."

The words thud through Karl and heat blooms in his stomach. He lets out a moan, and Sapnap murmurs, "Now."

Karl lets go with a stream of curses, his vision going white with the intensity of it. He's shaking when it's over, and Sapnap finishes soon after him, slamming into him one last time with a groan that sounds like his name.

Karl's breathing takes a few minutes to even out, his heart pounding against his chest. But he doesn't want to move, so he lies down against Sapnap's chest, feeling as Sapnap's arms wrap around him tightly, keeping him there.

They stay like that for what feels like forever, refusing to think or move or do anything that might disturb the peace. Because as soon as Karl moves, he'll remember Sapnap's injury and the zombies and George and everything else that has gone wrong. But right now, it's just the two of them and it's perfect.

Finally, Sapnap sighs and starts to trace abstract patterns over Karl's back. "We should get dressed," he says quietly, his breath warm on Karl's ear. "Before the others get back and find us."

Karl just nods, suddenly too tired to say anything. But he squeezes Sapnap's shoulders before he sits up, gently disentangling himself. And when he tugs his boxers and pants back on, and yanks on his shirt, he can't help but wonder if this will ever happen again, if they'll have that kind of time together.

Sapnap tugs on his own hoodie, his eyes glimmering like he's thinking something along the same lines. But he takes Karl's hand, squeezing it gently. "We'll make it," he whispers. Karl just nods and pecks him on the lips, trying to control the tears pressing behind his eyes.

But they never fall. Because, at that moment, the doors to the caf burst open and Karl and Sapnap jump apart. Karl's face is burning, his whole body hot, his thoughts running at a million miles an hour before he even recognizes Quackity and Montero.

"You guys," Quackity says, eyes wide, and Karl feels a sense of deja vu sweep over him. "You're gonna wanna come see this."

(1669 words, lol)

Notes:

Comments would be super appreciated!! <3

Chapter 57: They're Back

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: swearing

Quackity's words barely register past the million embarrassing worries rushing through Sapnap's mind.

He blinks, overly aware of his burning cheeks, of Karl standing too close to him, of the guilty look in both of their eyes. Thoughts of what had just happen invade his mind, and he wonders how Quackity and Montero haven't noticed it yet, when he's so self-conscious of every move he makes.

Then, Quackity scrunches his nose, and Sapnap's heart plummets. "Why are you guys so red? What happened in here?"

"You don't wanna know..." Karl starts, just as Sapnap startles and stammers, "Nothing."

Montero raises his eyebrows and Quackity stares between them for a few seconds, like he doesn't get it. Then, his jaw drops and he backs away a few steps.

"I'll just...you know - I'll meet you outside," Quackity stutters, suddenly more flustered than Sapnap as he rushes outside.

Despite everything, Karl bursts into laughter and Sapnap feels a smile tugging at his lips as Montero giggles with them.

"He looked so terrified," Karl manages between giggles, wiping at his eyes. "Like, not even uncomfortable just straight up terrified."

When Sapnap manages to catch his breath, he remembers what Quackity had said before he'd left. "What do we need to see?" Sapnap asks Montero, who suddenly goes serious, his eyes glimmering.

"Quackity spotted Bad's car while we were on lookout," Montero says, a little breathless either with laughter or excitement. "They're back."

Karl chokes on his laughter and Sapnap feels his heart stop, then start up again, hammering against his ribs. "What?" he asks, even though he heard him the first time. His mind seems to be running in slow motion as it processes Montero's words.

Karl grabs his hand, squeezing it so tight, it hurts a little. "Then what are we even waiting for? Let's go!"

Montero nods and leads them out of the caf, Karl dragging Sapnap out by the hand as Sapnap starts to realize what is happening.

Dream and the others are back. And if they're back, then George might be back, and then...

"They might have brought the cure," Karl whispers to him at the same time as Sapnap thinks it. His voice sounds choked with emotion. "You could be cured."

Sapnap has no words, so he squeezes Karl's hand back, hoping it expresses what he's feeling.

They find Quackity near the front door. His cheeks are laced pink, and he avoids Sapnap and Karl's gazes even as he nods toward the parking lot of the school. Sapnap's blood thrums through him, his mind barely registering what he's seeing as he stares at the bright red convertible parking in the parking lot, followed closely by a dark van.

"Oh my God!" a voice calls out from the car, and Sapnap realizes Montero's pushed the front doors open and they're standing partially outside. Then, he realizes the voice is familiar, a voice he hadn't realized he'd missed so much until he hears it...

"Sapnap!" George yells, scrambling out of the car, Dream right behind him. Dream, who's smiling so brightly as he watches George, then meets Sapnap's eyes. Sapnap can't help his grin as he looks first at Dream, then at George, rushing toward him.

"George!" Sapnap calls back, and Karl lets go of his hand with a smile.

"I'm back!" George whoops, and Sapnap laughs as George runs into his arms. He picks him up, swinging him around, and George giggles madly, clutching Sapnap tightly. They're both laughing so hard that Sapnap feels breathless. When he finally lets go of George to hold him at arm's length, George has to wipe the tears from his eyes. Sapnap realizes then that he doesn't know if the tears are from laughter or sadness or relief to be back. But he feels tears prick his own eyes as he stares at George, who smiles brightly back at him.

"You scared the shit out of us, asshole," Sapnap manages, between laughter and tears.

"That's what you get for injuring yourself and making us worry, too," George says with a grin, then seems to realize something. An excited gleam enters his eyes and he squeezes Sapnap's arms. "Guess what? I have something to show you."

"What is it?" Sapnap asks, George's contagious grin making him forget his tears. But, before George can answer, Dream joins them.

"I told you I'd bring us both back," Dream says, smiling, and Sapnap scoffs and claps him on the shoulder.

"I knew you would," Sapnap mutters, hugging Dream anyway.

George's POV

George stares at his two friends hugging and can't believe he's back at the school.

It's not just Dream and Sapnap. Behind them, Karl and Quackity and Montero are standing in the doorway of the school. Karl shoots him a grin, but his fond gaze stays mostly on Sapnap, as if he's happier that Sapnap's reunited with them. Montero looks relieved that everyone is back, and him and Techno do a mini handshake when Techno joins him. And Quackity...

Quackity storms over to George, eyes wide and angry and relieved. George rolls his eyes, mentally preparing for whatever assault Quackity's about to throw, even if he's secretly glad to see Quackity again...

Quackity throws his arms around George, who stumbles back in surprise.

"Quackity?" George manages, unsure if he should hug him back or push him away.

Turns out, he doesn't get the chance, because Quackity lets go of him only to shove him in the chest. "I hate you, asshole. Don't you ever disappear like that again."

George's jaw drops. "I didn't just choose to disappear, idiot," he starts, but Quackity glares at him and he shuts up.

"I mean it," Quackity says dramatically. Then, he turns away and stalks toward Bad and Skeppy, leaving George to wonder what the muffin just happened.

"That's Quackity for you," Karl's familiar voice says, and George realizes that him and Sapnap and Dream have gathered around him. "But he missed you while you were gone, I can tell you that."

George shakes his head, but he can barely stay serious as Dream moves a little closer, taking his hand. His heart kicks into a gallop and his blood heats. He still can't believe he's back together with all of his friends. With Dream.

"George, what were you gonna tell me?" Sapnap asks, snapping George out of his trance. That's when George remembers Tommy and Wilbur and the others, who are still sitting in their van, holding the cure that will save Sapnap.

"Okay, Sapnap," George says, meeting his gaze, trying to keep him distracted so that he doesn't notice the van. "I need you to promise me that you won't freak out and you'll listen to me until I'm done telling the story."

"I don't think that's gonna help," Dream says under his breath, and George shoots him a glare.

"Not everyone overreacts, idiot," George retorts, and Sapnap raises a brow in question.

"Just tell me," Sapnap says, and George takes a deep breath and launches into the story of how he got kidnapped and how he found himself in the community center and how he found out that the people who'd kidnapped him weren't actually that bad, and...

"They what?" Sapnap exclaims, interrupting George. "Not that bad?"

"Here we go," Karl mutters, exchanging a half-amused, half-exasperated look with George. "You just told the king of overreactions not to overreact. What did you expect?"

Sapnap ignores both of them, his gaze moving to the van and the people in it, eyes stormy. "Let's get them, Dream. We can take them."

George rolls his eyes and grabs Sapnap's arm. "Look at me, idiot, I'm not done my story. First of all, they know Techno so he can vouch for them."

Dream scoffs and George elbows him. "And," he continues, shooting glares at both of them. "Not only did they let me go, they also are giving us a cure. For you, idiot," he says, turning back to Sapnap and squeezing his arm.

Karl stifles a gasp by clapping a hand over his mouth, his other hand grabbing Sapnap's. Even Dream's gaze warms at the words, and George can barely keep in a smile as he looks for Sapnap's reaction.

But Sapnap seems to force himself to shake his head. "Just because they have a cure, doesn't mean I'm going to forgive them for kidnapping you. Never."

"Nick, you absolute nimrod," Karl groans, and Sapnap blushes faintly but holds his ground.

"Doesn't matter if you forgive them or not," George says. "You just need to not kill them for long enough that they can give you the cure."

"And maybe don't kill them after, either," Karl says, reasonably, but his voice quavers a little and he's distracted, looking towards the van like he can see the cure through the doors.

"Do it for me and Karl, at least," George says, quietly. "Then, you and Dream can stay mad at them for the rest of yours lives if that's what you want."

Sapnap's quiet for a long moment, and George's heart stutters as he waits for an answer. But, finally, Sapnap nods and Karl breathes a sigh of relief.

"Come on, let's go meet them," Karl says with forced lightness, meeting George's eyes in a silent question. George nods, looking back toward the van and catching Wilbur's gaze.

He just hopes that he can keep Dream and Sapnap from killing them, for long enough that they can save Sapnap and find a way to work something out about Techno. That's all he needs.

"This better be worth it," Sapnap mutters, as the four of them make their way toward the cure that will save Sapnap's life.

(1618 words)

Notes:

The reunion!! Also sorry for the cliffhanger y'all, hope you enjoyed!

Thank you sm to everyone who's been reading and commenting <3<3

Chapter 58: Deal's Done

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: mild swearing, zombies

Karl makes sure to keep a firm hand on Sapnap's arm as they walk toward the van, just in case he decides to forget his promise to George and attack George's kidnappers anyway.

Sapnap's muscled arm is tense under his hand, and Karl can practically feel the tension rolling off him in waves. Dream isn't too much better from where he's standing next to George. Even though he's a little more relaxed than Sapnap, his green eyes are still stormy as he stares at the group of people in the van.

For the record, the people in the van look pretty terrified as they walk towards them.

The guy behind the wheel looks like he's wondering if he should just start up the van and leave before a fight can break out. He nods at them, trying to seem casual, and Karl tightens his hand on Sapnap's arm a little. He's not sure how he feels about the people who kidnapped and then returned George, but what he does know is that they have a cure that can save Sapnap. And that's what matters.

Just not to Sapnap, apparently.

"Calm down, Nick, jeez," Karl says, trying to keep his voice quiet and light even as his heart drums against his chest. "You're not gonna solve anything if you kill them."

"I didn't say I'm gonna kill them," Sapnap mutters back, but his eyes soften a little as he turns to meet Karl's gaze. He sighs in mock annoyance. "Fine, I'll be good, I promise."

Karl grins, even as a shiver dances over him at the words. But he just pinches Sapnap's cheek, giggling when Sapnap frowns. "Good. That's all I ask for."

Karl giggles again when Sapnap glares at him. But he moves his hand off Sapnap's arm to interlock their fingers instead.

"Will you guys focus for one second?" George says, shooting them a glare as he stops in front of the van. But Karl doesn't think he's actually upset, not when his gaze warms when it lands on Sapnap, like he's happy for him. Like he's happy he's with Karl. The thought brings heat to his cheeks.

"We're unarmed," the guy behind the wheel calls, holding up his hands in innocence or surrender.

Dream rolls his eyes, even as George shoots him a reproachful look. "Just get out of the van, idiots. We're not gonna kill you. Unless you piss us off."

George pinches Dream's arm. "He doesn't mean that."

"We're coming out," a brown-haired kid calls from the back of the van. The masked guy sitting next to him mimes face-palming and Karl can't help but giggle, both at the words and at the reaction.

"I can't believe you got kidnapped by a bunch of teenagers," Sapnap mutters to George. George tries to hit him and he dodges, lips twitching into a smile.

"Okay, guys," George says like he's announcing something. He introduces each of the would-be kidnappers as they exit the van, Wilbur, the dude behind the wheel, getting out last. Karl nods at all of them, deciding to stay friendly until they give Sapnap the cure. Sapnap, on the other hand, barely acknowledges them unless it's to give them a deathstare that makes Tubbo and Tommy go pale and Ranboo keep a good distance between them.

Bad, Skeppy, Techno, Montero, and Quackity all join them, crowding around the van, until Wilbur and the others look a little nervous. When Karl catches sight of the murderous look in Quackity eyes, he understands why.

"Jesus Christ, guys," Karl mutters, stepping forward before a fucking revolt can happen.

"Who are you?" Tommy asks, looking worried, and Karl has to stifle a giggle.

"I'm Karl," Karl says, sticking out a hand, which Tommy shakes carefully. "This is Sapnap, Quackity, and..."

Tubbo's eyes go wide as saucers as he yelps, "Is that Lil Nas X?" When Montero grins sheepishly and gives a little wave, Tubbo claps a hand over his mouth, cheeks turning red. Tommy stammers something, and even Wilbur looks a little awestruck. Only Ranboo seems unfazed as he nods casually at all of them.

"Not the point," Sapnap growls and Tubbo and Tommy swallow and nod quickly, turning back to face Sapnap.

"So," Karl starts lightly, even though his heart is drumming and he's trembling slightly. "You guys have a cure, huh?"

He can barely breathe as Wilbur turns to look at him. And holds up a vial. "We have it. As long as you guys hold up your end of the bargain."

"What bargain?" Karl and Sapnap ask at the same time, turning to face the others.

"You never told us about a bargain," Karl says to George, who chews on his lip sheepishly.

"It's not my story to tell," he says, gesturing behind them. "It's Techno's. He's the one who said yes. He's the one we owe."

Techno exhales, like it's a conversation he's had many times before. But there's a glimmer of something that looks like regret in his eyes, as he looks at Sapnap and Karl.

"George probably told you about how we know each other," Techno starts. "We had a bit of a falling out though - " Tommy clears his throat aggressively and Techno rolls his eyes before continuing - "and now, they want me to go back to the community center with them. That's the deal we had so they would return George and give you the cure, Sapnap."

Sapnap opens and closes his mouth and Karl, for once, can't think of anything to say.

"I'm not doing it for you," Techno clarifies, before either of them can say anything. "It's something I should have dealt with when it first happened."

Karl swallows thickly and nods, cupping a hand over his mouth as he takes a few deep breaths. "Thanks anyway, dude," he manages, before he throws his arms around Techno, who squeezes him back before letting go and stepping back.

"Thanks," Sapnap says, too, his eyes shining with respect and gratitude. "I owe you, one."

"You're the best, Techno," Bad adds, from where he's standing next to Skeppy, who's trying to hold back his tears.

"Can we get back to the point?" Tommy says impatiently from where he's standing. "We have the cure and you have Techno. Let's get on with it."

Karl gives Techno one last long look, then glances at Sapnap, who nods at him and takes his hand.

"We'll take it," Sapnap states, turning to face Tommy and Wilbur. "As long as Techno's good with it." Techno nods his approval.

Just like that, Karl thinks, as Wilbur hands Sapnap the vial and Techno steps forward to join the others. Deal's done.

"Don't worry, Sapnap," Techno says, and Karl notices he's still keeping a distance from the others. "The deal was that I'm not leaving until I see that the cure works. It's only fair."

Sapnap glances between Techno and the vial in his hands. His hands, which are shaking so slightly that only Karl notices.

Then, Sapnap uncorks the vial, looking unfazed as he sweeps Wilbur and the others with a look. "For your sake then, it better work."

Sapnap's POV

Sapnap doesn't know how he feels as he lifts the vial to his mouth. All he knows is that, if this works, he'll be cured. And if it doesn't... He tries not to think about that, not as Karl takes a step closer to him, squeezing his hand in silent reassurance.

Sapnap ignores the concerned looks his other friends are giving him, choosing to look at Techno instead as he steels himself. And downs the contents of the vial.

Karl sucks in a breath as Sapnap gulps down the cure. It tastes about as bitter as he feels at the idea of Techno having to leave them, but he manages to finish it all and lets the vial drop to the ground.

Everyone stares at him expectantly, like they're waiting for him to drop dead or something. Wilbur looks suddenly nervous, like he's not actually sure if the cure is going to work.

Sapnap rolls up the sleeve of his hoodie and unwraps the bandage that Karl did up so carefully before. The wound is still there, unsurprinsigly, but...

"It's closing up!" Bad exclaims, looking over his shoulder. And it's true, even as Sapnap's mind struggles to understand what he's seeing. The swelling has gone down and it's not bleeding anymore. And, like Bad said, it's slowly starting to close up.

"Oh my God," Dream and Karl say at the same time, Dream scrubbing a hand over his face and Karl gripping Sapnap's hand so tightly he can barely feel it.

Wilbur whoops and Tubbo laughs like a maniac. "It actually worked! Wilbur, you're a genius!"

"Techno's coming with us," Tommy says, motioning wildly at Sapnap's arm like that says everything. "The deal is the deal, guys."

Sapnap looks helplessly at Techno, who just smiles and nods at him, like everything's fine, even though it's not.

But just then, Montero shrieks from beside the school doors and Sapnap whirls around, gripping Karl's hand tighter. There, by the corner of the school, a small group of zombies comes lurching toward them. Another group appears near the van, surrounding them on all sides.

"Oh, shit," Sapnap mutters, and the realization seems to dawn on them all at the same time. They still haven't fully cleared the school.

Dream steps up, looking more smug than anything as he addresses Tommy and Wilbur. "Unless you guys wanna get killed, you're gonna have to help us kill those zombies. And that means, at least for a little while longer, Techno's staying here with us. Where he belongs."

(1616 words)

Notes:

Sapnap's cured!! Hope y'all enjoyed <3<3

Chapter 59: We're Good

Chapter Text

Tw: zombies, weapons, swearing, fighting

The zombies lurch closer and Tommy whirls around to point an accusing finger at Dream. "You planned this!"

Dream snorts, his feelings mixed between disbelief and amusement. "Of course I didn't, you idiot. Our school got invaded by zombies a while ago but we managed to clear most of them. These are just just strays."

Tommy's eyes go wide as he takes in the dozen zombies coming at them. "Just the strays?"

"Come on, Tommy, we can take them," Ranboo says, flipping out a knife. "We got rid of the zombies at the community center, didn't we?"

"Right, wasn't your place like, completely overrun?" Karl asks, and Dream knows he's remembering what Techno had told all of them. "How'd you get rid of them then?"

"That was different," Tommy starts, but he cuts himself off as a zombie rounds the van and swipes dangerously close to Wilbur, who ducks out of the way just in time.

"Fight now, talk later, Tommy," Wilbur manages, dodging the zombie's clumsy attacks. "That goes for all you, numbskulls."

"Who you calling a numbskull, asshole?" Quackity mutters, but he hefts his broomstick and faces the nearest zombies, a determined look in his eyes.

"Okay, guys," Karl calls out, clapping his hands. "Chop, chop. Let's kill these things and get it done with."

Tommy spares him an incredulous look, and Dream, George, and Sapnap exchange amused looks.

"Why don't you go first, Karl?" George suggests, then giggles as Karl quickly shakes his head and hides behind Sapnap, who grudgingly becomes his shield.

"Okay, split up, guys," Sapnap says, talking to all of them. "Form groups and take on each side."

Dream and George exchange a look and wordlessly step closer to each other, guarding each other's backs. Bad, Skeppy, and Techno join them while the others form two groups: their friends and the kidnappers.

"We got this," Bad says to them, and Dream and George nod as they heft up their weapons.

"I've got your back," George murmurs to Dream, so Dream launches himself at the zombies, trusting that George will use his crossbow to take down any zombies he misses.

He cuts down as many as he can of the ones that get into his way, stabbing and whirling. Near him, Sapnap is doing the same. Him and Quackity protect Karl and Montero from the oncoming flood of zombies. The oncoming flood that, Dream realizes, is a lot bigger than he'd thought.

"George!" he calls, but George is already there, shooting arrows that take down the closest zombies.

Techno joins him, fighting at his side. "Just stick together," he calls over the din of growls. "We'll be fine."

As Techno takes down another group of zombies with his daggers, Dream glances around quickly, wondering how the others are holding up. Bad is protecting Skeppy, like Sapnap is protecting his group. And the kidnappers...

Techno sighs beside him. "I'll go help them. They're hopeless on their own."

"Yeah, that might be smart," Dream agrees. If it wasn't for the current situation, he'd be laughing at their attemps to ward off the monsters. As it is though, he's more confused than anything. "I thought they were good at fighting. How'd they manage to get rid of all those zombies at the community center fighting like that?"

Techno just shrugs, trying to keep in a laugh. "Beats me," he manages, and moves to their group to help them, fighting his way through stray zombies.

"Focus, idiot!" George calls from behind him, and an arrow goes flying over Dream's shoulder, hitting a zombie in the eye. "They'll survive as long as Techno helps them!"

"Might be better if they don't," Dream mutters, and George's next arrow flies a little closer to him.

Dream manages to cut through some more zombies, and he finally sees them making progress. Sapnap and Quackity move their group steadily closer until they're fighting side by side with Dream. The only group that's still a distance away, and still as distracting as ever, is Techno's new group.

"We don't need your help!" Tommy yells at Techno, who helps them anyway. Tommy looks offended as Techno takes down a zombie right in front of him. "Fuck you!"

Ranboo shoots Tommy an incredulous look. "Why would you swear at the person who's helping us?"

"Techno, I'll accept your help," Wilbur calls, reluctantly, as three zombies surround him and Techno rolls his eyes, but strikes down all of the zombies in a quick move.

"Tubbo, you good?" Techno calls. He motions to Tommy and Wilbur. "I'm stuck helping these two for a bit."

Tubbo turns calmly to Techno, a pistol in his hand, and Ranboo quickly intervenes. "He's good. He can protect me, too, probably."

Dream raises his brows as Tubbo aims his pistol at a group of zombies. And lands perfect headshots on all of them. They fall, and Dream feels his mouth drop open and knows the others are staring, too. Even Techno looks mystified.

"See, I told you!" Ranboo says, matter a factly. "We're good!"

Dream whirls around, remembering his own battle, just in time to swing his knife and decapitate a zombie. "What the hell was that?" he asks, and Sapnap and George just shake their heads, astounded.

Tubbo takes down a dozen more zombies, shielding Ranboo while Techno shields Tommy and Wilbur, who are clearly not the fighters of the group. And through it all, Dream fights his own zombies, his friends at his side.

Finally, the stream of zombies starts to dwindle, and Dream realizes he's out of breath as he cuts down one last zombie and lowers his knives.

"We in the clear?" Sapnap asks, glancing around at the same time as Dream.

"I think so," Dream starts to say, and then freezes, opening his mouth to shout a warning to Tommy, who hasn't noticed the zombie creeping up on him...

"Tommy, watch out!" Techno yells, and jumps in front of him, taking down the zombie with a swipe of his blades.

Tommy's pale and shaking as he takes in what just happened, trying to stammer something. Apparently, he can't find anything to say, because he runs into Techno's arms, bursting into tears.

Dream scrubs a hand over his face, wondering what the hell is happening, as Techno carefully hugs Tommy back. "Does this mean we're good?" Techno jokes, but Wilbur looks like he's actually forgiven him, and Tommy nods slowly, stepping away.

"It was a long time ago, anyway," Tommy mutters, blinking away his tears. He sticks out his hand, and Techno shakes it, a smirk playing at his lips. "We're good."

"Talk about family drama," Skeppy mumbles, earning a full-fledged smirk from Techno.

"How did you survive the apocalypse?" Dream asks Tommy, genuinely wondering.

Tommy just looks offended. "That's... incredibly rude."

George scoffs, Sapnap snorts, and they both burst into laughter, lightening the atmosphere. Dream can't help but chuckle, too, and Tommy just looks confused. Maybe it's just because of the fight, but Dream feels his anger toward Tommy and the others dissolve a little, until he's glad that they didn't die at the hands of zombies.

"What do we do now?" Bad asks, when they calm down. "The school's clear, Sapnap's cured, and Techno..."

But Techno just grins. "Let's think about that later. Right now, we should just be glad we survived. And it's getting dark anyway. We should just go inside for the night."

Dream glances at Tommy and the others, who suddenly look uncomfortable under the gazes of Dream and Sapnap. But Dream still feels grateful that they're all alive so he nods slightly. Tommy relaxes a little, even though he still avoids looking Dream and Sapnap in the eyes.

"They can stay a night," Dream says to Sap in a low voice as they head to the front doors of the school. "Besides, maybe we can convince them to let Techno stay with us."

Sapnap sighs, but he doesn't seem inclined to argue. "They did save me, I guess..."

As they open the doors and head into the school, Techno taking up the back with Tommy and the others, George joins Dream, taking his hand as they walk through the familiar hallways of the school. George looks around almost in wonder, and Dream feels a bittersweet feeling tug at his chest.

George turns his dark gaze to him. "It feels like I haven't been here in forever."

"Don't remind me," Dream says, a smile tugging at his lips. "I might not want them in the school anymore."

But George just looks thoughtful. "Remember when we first got to the school? Techno let us stay, even though Quackity didn’t trust us. Maybe the same thing will happen. Maybe they'll end up staying with us."

Dream shoots him a look. "Let's not go that far. They did kidnap you, remember?"

George just squeezes his hand and leans closer to kiss him on the cheek. Dream's face feels suddenly hot, his heartbeat shooting into his throat. "What was that for?" he manages and George smirks, like he know what he's doing to him.

"Nothing," he says with a casual shrug. "Just glad we're both alive. And that you let Tommy and them stay for the night."

Dream scoffs and George giggles. "You're such a blackmailer, you..."

George raises a brow. "Yes?"

But Dream realizes he doesn't have the heart to finish his sentence, not when he's so grateful that George is back. "Nothing," he echoes, squeezing George's hand back. "Just remembered how much I missed you."

The others catch up to them, talking and laughing, but George's gaze stays on him. And Dream barely notices when they reach the caf, barely notices when Sapnap tries to talk to him.

He's too busy staring at George to notice.

(1630 words)

Chapter 60: S'mores

Chapter Text

Tw: zombies, blood, swearing

"Welcome to our humble abode," Karl tells the others as they step into the cafeteria. It's a mess of zombie bodies and splattered blood. Some of the targets on the far wall are barely recognizable under the blood. Karl sighs, happily. "Beautiful, isn't it?"

Tommy gives him a sidelong look like he's questioning Karl's sanity and, in return, Sapnap shoots him a withering glare that makes him back off.

"We've still got some food if you guys want it," Dream says. He's holding George's hand as they cross the caf to where a pile of chips and canned food is strewn across the floor.

"Oh. My. God," Skeppy says suddenly, eyes wide, clapping his hands together. "Let's have a campfire!"

The others all turn to stare at him. Dream and George exchange a half-amused, half-exasperated look. "Why?" Techno asks, smirking when Skeppy looks upset that no one shares his enthusiasm.

"Because it's a way to celebrate that we defeated the zombies, and to welcome the new people," Skeppy explains.

The others still look confused, and Dream is confused, but Bad looks like he's considering it. "It's not a bad idea," he says, almost defensively. "Plus, we do have food."

"Let's do it," Montero agrees, looking excited, and suddenly the others agree, too. Even Dream finds himself nodding along with Tommy and Tubbo, until George pinches his arm.

"What?" Dream asks, but stops when he notices George's glare.

"I didn't miss that," George mutters, glancing between Montero and his adoring fans. And Dream, who smirks despite himself, shooting George a suggestive look that makes him blush despite his anger.

"Shut up, idiot," George mumbles, even though Dream hadn't said anything. Dream just grins and slips an around George's shoulders, pulling him to his side. George pretends to resist for a second, but pretty soon he melts against Dream letting him take the lead.

The others are planning their impromptu campfire. "I mean, we did just defeat all the zombies, so..." Karl says, shrugging. "We should be safe to go outside. Even if it's almost nighttime."

"Oh my God, I just remembered something," Quackity exclaims, surprising everyone. He'd been silent since the kidnappers showed up and now he goes a little red as he glowers at everyone. He crosses his arms. "Fine, I won't say."

"No, say it, Quackity," Bad pleads, and everyone nods. Quackity looks around and sighs dramatically.

"Fine," Quackity mutters. "I was just gonna say that I'm pretty sure there's a firepit at the back of the school. If we find it, then we can have an actual campfire."

"Quackity, you're a genius!" Bad exclaims, and Skeppy nods enthusiastically.

"I think I know where it is," Montero adds, with a grin. "Come on, follow me."

And everyone does, piling out of the cafeteria. Dream and George lag behind a little, Dream's arm still around him. Suddenly, an idea pops into Dream's head and he smirks a little, leaning down to whisper to George, "Why don't we get out of here when everyone's distracted?"

George's cheeks turn pink and a slight shiver passes through him. "Not now, they'll notice."

Dream just shrugs. "I said when everyone's distracted, idiot, not now."

"Fine," George retorts, cheeks bright pink. "When everyone's distracted."

And Dream can't help but grin. He doesn't stop grinning until they reach the doors, and Montero pushes them open to reveal the back of the school. It's already getting dark, but Dream doesn't spot any zombies, so that's a good sign.

Tubbo points excitedly to a spot in the darkness. "Look, there it is!" he says, and Dream narrows his eyes to see a big, unlit firepit in the middle of the school yard.

"Does anybody know how to make a fire?" Skeppy asks, suddenly, like he's just realized he doesn't know how to and they need to get a fire going somehow.

Dream glances around. He can guess who does, and, obviously, Techno and Bad put up their hands. But, to his surprise, so do Ranboo and Wilbur. And, more importantly...

Dream whips around to stare at George, who's raised his hand nonchalantly. "Since when?"

George shrugs. "I figured it out one time. Back when we were at that camp in the middle of nowhere."

"I helped him figure it out," Bad informs Dream, who wonders what else George has learned that he has no idea about. The thought makes a smile tug at his lips.

Ranboo sighs dramatically, looking around at the group. "I'll do it," he says and George huffs a quiet laugh as he finds two pieces of flint on the ground and starts to make a fire.

The others gather around the sparks of the firepit, sitting on the logs and rocks that surround it. Bad and Skeppy cuddle together, Karl plops down, dragging Sapnap with him and laying his head in Sapnap's lap. Quackity sits near them, and near Techno and Montero. Ranboo, once he gets the fire going, moves to sit with the rest of his friends, a slight distance away from everyone else.

George drags Dream over to a log and sits them both down, draping his legs over Dream's lap and laying back. He pillows his head into his arms and shuts his eyes. Dream can't help but stare as his breathing evens out, his face turning peaceful.

"Earth to all lovestruck nimrods," Karl calls, snapping Dream out of his reverie. Karl grins as Dream meets his gaze. "Take a picture, it'll last longer."

Dream scoffs as George opens his eyes too, squinting at him in an accusing way, like he just woke him up. "Why don't you go make out with Sapnap or something?"

Karl giggles and Sapnap startles, glaring at Dream. "Maybe I will," Karl says, which makes Sapnap turn bright red and avert his gaze.

"You get used to the bickering," Techno mutters to Tommy and the others, just loud enough for everyone to hear. "Wait until Bad and Skeppy get started."

"Hey!" Bad complains as Skeppy smacks Techno lightly on the shoulder. "We're not that bad."

"Keep telling yourself that," Quackity interjects and Bad throws a glare his way.

"We heard enough of it on the way here," Tommy mutters back to Techno, who smirks triumphantly at Bad and Skeppy.

A comfortable silence falls, interrupted only by the rising bonfire. Sapnap plays with Karl's hair and George goes back to closing his eyes. Until...

"Oh my God, I just remembered," Karl says, springing up and almost knocking Sapnap over. "We have s'mores. What better way to bond then over s'mores?"

Tubbo and Tommy's eyes are wide as Karl stands up to bring over the s'mores. "I love s'mores," Tubbo whispers loudly.

Karl brings them over and hands everyone a stick to toast the s'mores over the fire. Then, he saunters back over and sits himself down in Sapnap's lap. Dream nearly bursts out laughing at the half-surprised, half-uncomfortable look on Sapnap's face as his hands land awkwardly on Karl's waist.

"I can't toast my s'mores now, nimrod," Sapnap complains to Karl, who just grins, grabs Sapnap's s'mores, and toasts them for him.

"So..." Quackity says, through a mouthful of s'mores, looking at Tommy and the others. "What's your guys' backstory?"

Techno goes a little tense, but he nods when Wilbur looks at him questioningly, then at the others, before launching into his story.

"Basically we all knew each other from before," Wilbur says, gesturing to his group. "Except for Techno. We were being chased by a bunch of zombies and Techno saved our lives and brought us to the community center. If it hadn't been for him, we wouldn't have survived the first few days."

Dream tries to read Techno's face but his features are neutral, like he's trying not to give anything away.

"We stayed there for a while and our group got bigger," Wilbur continues. "And, eventually..."

Tommy cuts in, eyes wide and voice overly loud in the quiet night. "Eventually, Techno started talking about leaving our group for another one."

Now, Techno rolls his eyes. "I wasn't actually serious about it. I wouldn't have left you."

"But you did!" Tommy accuses and, here, Ranboo intervenes.

"He didn't leave on purpose and we all know it," Ranboo says to Dream and the others. "The reason Tommy blamed him was because they'd had a bunch of arguments before about Techno leaving."

"What actually happened," Tubbo says. "Is that the community center got attacked by zombies one day. Techno and a bunch of the others went out to defend it. We got split up, and Techno..."

"I left," Techno says. "But it wasn't by choice. I couldn't find them and I managed to escape with some of the others. I knew Tommy would assume I'd left on purpose, but it wasn't true."

Tommy looks shocked by the confession. "But... you wanted to leave. Isn't that why you abandoned us when the zombies came? You found a new group?"

Techno's voice softens a little. "I didn't mean to abandon you guys. I was just trying to protect the community center. Leaving was the only way to stay alive so I could take down any zombies that might have gotten to you."

Tommy's eyes have gone a little misty, Dream notices, but he blinks rapidly and clears them. Wilbur clears his throat and Ranboo and Tubbo look a little embarrassed.

"Anyway..." Karl says brightly, snapping the tension in the air. "Now we all know, right? Anyone want anymore s'mores?"

Even though Tommy and Wilbur still look a little guilty for doubting Techno, everyone else laughs and accepts more s'mores. And, Dream notices, Tommy scoots a little closer to Techno as he tries to toast his s'mores.

Dream is about to take another one, when he notices that George's eyes are open. And fixed on him.

"They're distracted," George says quietly, a smirk on his face. Dream's heart thuds at the words, his pulse quickening.

No one notices when he takes George's hand and they slip off into the night.

(1674 words)

Chapter 61: I Love You, Idiot

Notes:

Guys, this has been a long time coming, let's be honest, so this is a long chapter. Hopefully it isn't terrible. Hope y'all enjoy <3<3

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: SMUT

George feels his heartbeat quicken as him and Dream sneak off into the woods.

There's a smile tugging at his lips and his cheeks are flushed, and he's never felt happier, not as he interlaces his fingers with Dream's and they slow to a walk in the moonlit woods. Dream looks so triumphant that they've made it without being noticed that George can't help but giggle.

Dream turns to him, his green eyes glowing. There's a soft smile on his lips that somehow brings a blush to George's cheeks. For some reason, it feels more intimate than any intense look Dream has ever given him and the thought makes his skin burn.

"What is it?" Dream asks, that smile tugging up.

George shrugs. He has the sudden urge to pull his hoodie up over his face, to hide his burning cheeks. "Nothing, idiot. Why did you want to leave the others, huh?"

Dream scoffs, raising a brow. "Why did you agree, idiot?"

George opens his mouth, then realizes he doesn't have a retort. He knows why he agreed but he's not about to tell Dream that...

Dream seems to figure it out anyway, because that soft glow in his eyes grows a little more wicked. "George," Dream asks, his voice teasing. "Did you... want to be alone with me?"

George manages a convincing scoff. "You wish, idiot. I just had nothing better to do. It was either this or listen to Tommy and Techno argue for hours. What did you think I would pick?"

Dream shrugs innocently. "Whatever you say, George. I guess I'm just a last resort, but it's fine."

George huffs a laugh and Dream grins, brightly enough that it makes George pause for a moment. That's when he realizes that this is the first real moment him and Dream have had together alone since he came back. Suddenly, that glow in Dream's eyes makes sense.

Even though his cheeks burn more than ever, George finds his voice softening as he squeezes Dream's hand and sighs dramatically. "Fine. Maybe I just missed you."

Dream's eyes shine in the moonlight. "I missed you, too, George. Obviously. Although Tommy and Techno were getting kind of annoying. So was Sapnap and Karl's pda."

George puffs a laugh. "That was the biggest reason I left, to be clear. Oh and I also missed you, a little."

Dream raises his gaze to the sky. "Okay, I'll take it. As long as you stay out here with me for a bit."

"Deal," George says and he doesn't resist when Dream pulls him down to sit on the ground. Dream wraps an arm around his shoulders and George leans against Dream, inhaling his familiar scent, wishing the moment would last forever.

"When I saw them take you away," Dream starts, breaking the silence, his quiet, serious voice making George shiver. "I lost it a little. I was ready to kill all of them. And when I saw you again after they brought you back, I would have done it if you hadn't stopped me. I still don't really want to forgive them, even now."

George swallows, snuggling a little closer to Dream. "I was angry, too. I thought I wouldn't see you again. It was all I thought about. It felt like forever, even though it was only a few hours."

Dream squeezes his shoulders gently. "But you're here now, and that's what matter. We're together again. Now and forever."

George's heart warms. "Why is that so cheesy?"

He can hear the grin in Dream's voice as he answers. "It might be, but it's true. Actually, I've been meaning to ask you something."

"What?" George asks, shifting a little at the new seriousness in Dream's voice.

"Well..." Dream starts. "Sapnap told me while you were gone that Karl asked him to move in together and he's probably gonna agree. Which would mean..."

"That we get the apartment to ourselves?" George finishes, a smirk playing at his lips. "So what are you asking me?"

Dream huffs. "I don't know, what do you think of that? Would you be okay if it was just the two of us?"

George tilts his head, pretending to think about it. Really, there's nothing to think about, and the thought makes him blush, makes his pulse speed up. But his hesitation also seems to make Dream nervous, and George has to bite his lip to keep in a laugh as Dream starts tapping his fingers restlessly on the ground.

Finally, George sighs dramatically and Dream goes still, their eyes locking. "Well..." George starts, then bursts into giggles, unable to keep up the act anymore. Dream looks startled as George wipes the tears from his eyes. "Of course I'd be okay with that. More than okay, actually."

Dream relaxes, a wide smile growing on his face. He hugs George a little closer. "Really? You mean that?"

"Yes, idiot," George says, but his heart feels fluttery and warm as he presses closer to Dream. "What, do you have a problem with that?"

Dream snorts, pulling back a little so he can look at George. "Well, now that you mention it, I do have one problem..."

George groans in mock frustration. "What is it now?"

"We need to seal the deal," Dream says. "You know how you do that, right, George?"

George feels his cheeks warm and he shakes his head. Dream grins, cupping a hand under his chin, tilting George's face up to him. Their eyes meet, and George shivers at the mischievous gleam in Dream's green eyes.

"With a kiss," Dream murmurs, moving a little closer and slipping an arm around George's waist. He plants a gentle kiss on George's lips, and George lets himself melt into the kiss, lets himself forget about everything but Dream's soft lips and his arms wrapped snugly around him and Dream's heady vanilla scent that coils around him and makes his head spin.

George tilts his head, deepening the kiss, relishing the way Dream's hands roam over his back and arms, sending a tingly feeling through him. His stomach feels hot and fluttery and he's suddenly impatient to do more than just kiss...

Dream pulls away, and George gasps at the sudden loss of contact. But when he meets Dream's gaze, the heat in his stomach intensifies.

Dream's green eyes are dark and intent as they scour every inch of George's body, until George's skin feels hot and he wants to rip Dream's clothes off him. Then, Dream smirks.

"Off," he commands, gesturing to George's hoodie.

Dream's POV

Dream's heart is pounding, his head spinning, as George obediently tugs off his hoodie, exposing his chest and stomach. Dream lets himself take it all in, his gaze climbing slowly back up to meet George's. It's George's turn to smirk, as if he realizes he has the upperhand. The look in his dark eyes nearly makes Dream lose control completely, as he leans down and locks their lips together.

The kiss is both gentle and desperate, full of all of the emotions Dream felt when George was taken away from him and all the emotions he felt when George and him were reunited. Dream pulls away for a moment, to look at George, who gazes back with dark eyes full of...

"Don't stop, idiot," George mumbles, grabbing Dream's shoulders and kissing him again. Dream bites back a gasp as George kneads his fingers through his hair, pulling at the blond strands, their breaths mingling. When he slowly eases his way into Dream's lap, straddling him, Dream has to hold back a moan, has to hold on to his last shred of self-control as George shifts deliberately on his lap.

"I hate you," Dream murmurs onto George's lips, and George grins as a moan escapes Dream.

George's small hands find the hem of Dream's hoodie, grazing his skin teasingly as he yanks Dream's hoodie off. His hands a cool on Dream's chest, like a brand on his burning skin. Dream feels his length hardening until it's rock-solid and George pauses his shifting to smirk suggestively.

It's Dream's turn to freeze as George's fingers go to the waistband of Dream's cargo pants, their gazes meeting.

"George," Dream says hoarsely, not sure if he's warning him or urging him on. Not sure if he can still control himself if George touches him...

But George ignores him, sliding his pants and boxers down. At the first gentle touch of George's hands on Dream, Dream's length twitches. He can't move, can't do anything, as George smirks up at him, his cheeks flushed, his eyes bright as he let's his fingers graze over Dream's length.

"George," Dream says again, but it comes out breathy as George wraps a small hand around him and squeezes gently. Dream's vision blurs, and a single thought enters his head. He'll crumble if he has to endure anymore of this, and then it'll be over. And he can't let that happen yet.

Dream takes George's hand, interlocking their fingers. George locks eyes with him, and seems to see the question there, because he nods.

"I'm okay if you are," George says quietly, his voice a little hoarse, and the sound of it almost makes Dream groan. He actually does groan when George takes his hand off him to take off his own sweatpants, his eyes fixed on Dream the whole time.

Dream swallows as George repositions himself over him, straddling him. "You ready?" he asks, and George just nods mutely, before lowering himself, slowly, onto Dream.

Dream's vision goes blank, his thoughts dissipating at the feeling, and he has to blink a few times before he gets used to it. George bites his lip, his eyes glittering a little. He wraps his arms around Dream's neck, shifting again to make himself comfortable. Every movement sends shivers through Dream. His skin feels like it's burning up.

But when George's eyes lock with his, liquid and bright, his cheeks flushed, the hesitation Dream felt before disappears.

He leans forward, locking their lips, as George bobs up and down, getting used to the motion. Their kiss is hot, desperate, impatient.

Dream pulls back, panting slightly, gaze focused on George. "I'm not gonna hold back," he warns, his hands squeezing tightly over George's hips.

"Good," George breaths back. "I don't want you to."

Dream growls, low in his throat, and unleashes his self-control.

He slams into George, who tightens his arms around his neck, and bites his lip hard. Dream's hands press tightly on George's hips, hard enough to leave bruises, as he pounds harder and faster into George, relishing the moans escaping George, who throws his head back. The sight is almost enough to bring Dream close to the edge. He swallows back a curse, at every point of contact between them, at the feeling if George around him, and the look of pure bliss on George's face.

George tightens his arms around Dream's neck, pushing into him. "Dream," he gasps in warning and Dream pounds harder, squeezing George's hips in permission.

George screams his name as he finishes, clenching around Dream, burying his face into Dream's chest. Dream bites his lip, a string of curses escaping him as he climaxes, too.

Dream slows his unrelenting pace, loosening his hold on George and rubbing soothing circles over his hips. George is panting, his face still buried in Dream's shoulder, his shoulders trembling. Dream's mind can barely process what's just happened, as he leans back and closes his eyes, letting his breathing even out.

Neither of them move for a long time. They just sit there, Dream's arms wrapped loosely around George as he holds him, George trailing light kisses over Dream's bare chest. Until, after forever, George sighs and snuggles closer into Dream's chest.

"I love you, idiot," he mumbles, quiet enough that Dream wonders if he imagined it.

Dream's lips twitch into a smile, his heart warming below George's cheek. He wants to stay like that forever, cradling George against him.

But instead, he plants a soft kiss on George's hair, pressing his cheek against his head.

"I love you, too," he whispers into the night.

(2030 words)

Notes:

Hopefully this chapter was decent (and not cringey lol).

Also, to everyone asking for abt Ranboo and Tubbo, I wasn't actually planning for them to be in any kind of relationship (even platonic) because they're minors in the story, so sorry about that! Hope y'all enjoyed! <3

Chapter 62: Fuck The Apocalypse

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: swearing

It's sometime later when Dream opens his eyes, and realizes he's fallen asleep, with George in his arms.

It's still night out, and George is sleeping peacefully, his cheek pressed against his chest, his breathing steady. For a moment, the sight knocks the breath out of Dream's lungs. Had everything just been a dream?

But then, George shifts in his arms, his eyes fluttering open. He groans lightly, tipping his head back to meet Dream's gaze. "What time is it?"

Dream just shrugs, biting back a smile. "How should I know, idiot? I fell asleep, too."

George sighs and closes his eyes again. Then, he murmurs, "We should get back to the others. They're probably worried."

A twinge of regret hits Dream. He doesn't really want to leave, not when he could stay here, alone with George. But he pictures Sapnap and Bad and Techno and realizes that they probably are worried.

So he squeezes George gently and says, "Alright. Let's go."

Dream helps to untangle George from his arms, and they both stand, ready to leave. Until Dream realizes that both of them are naked and George's mussed hair and swollen lips probably mirror his own. Crap, he thinks. They're gonna have to fix that or the others will figure it out.

"George," he says, as George wraps his arms around his chest, shivering a little. "Forgetting something?"

He grabs George's clothes off the floor, and moves closer to him. George just blinks at him, too sleepy to complain as Dream helps him tug on his pants and his hoodie. Dream can't help himself, and he grazes George's skin a little more often than necessary, the regret deepening once George's clothes are fully covering him.

He yanks on his own pants in half a second and is about to do the same with his hoodie when he realizes that George is staring at him.

"What?" he asks, suddenly self-conscious as George's eyes trail slowly over his bare torso.

George meets his gaze, the teasing glint there replacing some of the sleepiness. "Since when were you so ripped?"

Dream scoffs and looks down at himself and...

And realizes that George is right. Where his stomach used to be flat, he's now got layers of muscle. Even his arms are thicker than he remembered.

George takes a step closer, reaching a hand out and placing it flat on Dream's muscled abdomen. "Guess it's from fighting all those zombies, huh?" George asks, but Dream can't answer. Not as George's hand slides slowly upward, tracing every inch of his chest until he's shivering slightly.

Then, Dream remembers what George had said before, and his eyes - which had fluttered shut - snap open. Dream grabs George's hand before it can touch anything else, and George just smirks up at him, taunting. "You little..." Dream starts, but can't think of anything, not as he watches George's mouth curve into a smile. "We have to get back, remember?" he says instead. He lets go of George's hand only to pull on his hoodie, then grabs it again and starts leading them out of the woods.

When they reach the edge of the woods, talk and laughter reach them, and Dream spots the firepit still burning between their friends, who don't seem to have realized their absence. George makes to let go of his hand and step toward the little camp, but Dream tightens his hold, suddenly remembering all that had happened between them.

"Wait, George" he says, and George turns to look at him, his eyes bright. Dream clears his throat, feeling his cheeks warm. "I just wanted to say that... this means a lot to to me," he forces himself to continue. "This. You," he adds, meeting George's gaze.

George just looks at him for a moment, and Dream finds himself holding his breath. But then, George just shakes his head, pecks a kiss on his cheek, and saunters off, a smirk on his lips, leaving Dream bewildered and amused.

Sapnap's POV

"Oh, look who's back," Karl exclaims, the second Dream and George break out of the woods. Karl sits up from where he's been leaning against Sapnap's chest, and Sapnap feels cold with the new empty space. "Where did you two go off to then, huh?"

Dream clears his throat, and even George seems at a loss for words. It's impossible for anyone not to notice how red their cheeks get or how Dream quickly runs a hand through his hair like he's trying to fix it.

But Sapnap notices it all before the others do, and he smirks. Because for all their jokes over the years, his friends have finally gotten together. His smirk only widens when George refuses to meet his gaze, and Dream stammers as he answers.

"Nowhere, nimrod," Dream says. "What have you guys been doing?"

Bad raises a brow innocently remarks, "Changing the subject, are we?"

"I am not..." Dream starts, and Karl giggles wildly, which brings a smile to Sapnap's lips, too.

"Look, it doesn't matter," George cuts in, trying to sound casual, but Sapnap reads through it instantly. So does everyone else apparently, because Tommy frowns.

"What doesn't matter, Gogy?" he asks, and George sighs loudly and buries his face in his hands.

Karl stifles his laughter by turning around and burying his face into Sapnap's chest. He's shaking slightly as he tries to contain it, and Sapnap sees everyone else in various stages of trying to suppress their own laughter.

"Are you guys forgetting..." Quackity starts, interrupting the laughter. "About the time me and Montero walked in on Karl and Sapnap?"

Dream snorts disbelievingly. "You what?"

Sapnap shoots daggers at Quackity even as he feels his face going red and he snaps, "Quackity, shut the fuck up." Even Karl looks uncharacteristically embarrassed, pink blooming in his cheeks. He sits up from where he's been leaning against Sapnap and gives Quackity a look of betrayal.

"It's true," Quackity says, ignoring the look. "It happened." Montero nods in confirmation.

It's Sapnap's turn not to be able to look his friends in the face as George and Dream burst into laughter and Bad and Skeppy and Techno try to keep in their own amusement. Tommy, Tubbo, and Ranboo just look confused, which is fine by Sapnap.

"Hey, it's getting kinda late, guys," Karl says, forcing his voice to sound casual. "Anyone want any more s'mores?"

That sets Bad and Skeppy giggling and Karl sighs as he gives up and moves back to where he was before, his back resting against Sapnap's chest and his head just below Sapnap's chin.

Finally, they all calm down and Dream and George settle in by the campfire. Sapnap can't help but notice how Dream's arm loops naturally around George's shoulders as they sit, and George leans comfortably into Dream. The fire crackles warmly by them and there's a peaceful silence.

Karl snuggles against Sapnap's chest and Sapnap instinctively wraps his arms around him. Despite himself, there's a small smile that touches his lips because, he realizes, he's never been happier.

"So," Bad says from across the campfire. "What are your guys' plans for when the apocalypse is over?"

But Sapnap doesn't hear the rest, because he dozes off with Karl still comfortably in his arms.

Bad's POV

Tommy and Wilbur exchange a look at Bad's question, and Bad realizes there's something they haven't yet told them.

Techno sees it, too, because he sits up a little from his spot. "What is it?"

Bad glances around. Skeppy's half-asleep, leaning against his shoulder, and he doesn't hear the conversation. Bad can't help but smile slightly and take his hand gently. Even in his doze, Skeppy's hand curls around his, as though on instinct.

Dream and George are suddenly alert, too, and even Quackity looks reluctantly interested. Montero looks sleepy, but he's still following the conversation. But Karl and Sapnap are both fast asleep, and Bad's lips twitch again. He can imagine the others making fun of them later but for now...

"Do you guys not know?" Tommy asks, looking genuinely puzzled.

"Know what?" Quackity asks impatiently, eyes wide like he knows something big is coming.

Bad feels it, too. His heartbeat quickens as he glances at Wilbur who looks around at all of them.

"There are rumors," Wilbur says, his voice low and dramatic. "Apprently, I'm not the only one who found a cure. The apocalypse is disappearing around the country."

Bad's heart stops and starts again in his chest. After a long moment of silence, it's Dream who speaks, slowly and carefully like he doesn't want to get his hopes up. "So... it could actually end? Soon?"

"That's what it's looking like," Wilbur agrees and the news thuds into Bad, who clutches Skeppy's hand a little tighter.

"Holy shit!" Quackity exclaims, finally looking like his normal self again. "Let's go! Fuck the apocalypse!"

Bad doesn't even have the heart to "language" him, not when he huffs a laugh, still holding Skeppy tightly. George is grinning wildly and Dream laughs hoarsely. Montero looks like the news hasn't quite sunk in yet, while Techno's looking more shocked than Bad has ever seen him.

"We have to celebrate," Quackity announces, standing so that his grin is illuminated in the firelight. "Like, with alcohol."

Again, Bad doesn't really feel like protesting. Nothing sounds like a bad idea right now.

That's when Sapnap randomly startles awake, jostling Karl, who wakes up, too. "What the fuck is happening?" Karl asks, through bleary eyes, and everyone bursts into slightly delirious laughter.

"Karl, we're safe!" Quackity exclaims, running over to him and throwing his arms around him, knocking Sapnap backwards. "We're gonna survive!"

Karl's got a half-grin on his face, even though he's still confused. "Why, what's up?"

Bad decides to shake Skeppy awake, too, so that he'll hear the news as well. Skeppy wakes up, grumbling a little, but he stops when he sees the grin on Bad's face and squeezes his hand back. "What is it?"

Bad shakes his head, feeling tears prick his eyes. "We're gonna be okay, Skeppy."

Skeppy screws his face up in adorable confusion. And, before he can ask him what he means, Bad laughs and kisses him, throwing his arms around him.

"The apocalypse," Bad says, between kisses. "It's almost over."

(1718 words)

Notes:

Holy shit, y'all, I just realized when I was writing this chapter that the story's almost over :(  I literally can't believe it but I've only got a few more chapters (and maybe an epilogue?) left.

Also, I'll probably be back to uploading only on Thursdays for the last few chapters. I'm gonna try and make them longer, too.

I really appreciate everyone who's been reading this story and leaving comments, I love you guys!! Hope you enjoyed! <3

Chapter 63: A Toast

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: swearing, alcohol

Everyone's wide awake by the time Karl and Quackity return to the campfire, their arms full of alcohol.

Skeppy's buzzing as he talks excitedly to Bad, who's busy trying to figure out where the muffin Karl and Quackity found all those bottles. Karl just grins at him and hands him a Mike's Hard Lemonade, and Bad decides he's not gonna complain. Not tonight, when everyone's celebrating. It definitely has nothing to do with the alcohol, and Skeppy definitely doesn't give him a knowing look, which Bad ignores.

"For the kids," Karl says, and hands them all diet Pepsi. Tommy glares at him, but accepts it anyway. Bad, for once, is glad Karl decided on diet soda. He doesn't want to imagine Tubbo or Tommy after too much sugar.

Sapnap seems to be thinking something around the same lines, because he says, "Holy shit, I almost forgot. Tubbo, where the fuck did you learn how to shoot like that?"

Tubbo goes a little red as everyone's attention jumps to him. "Mostly video games. And the occasional shooting range."

"Oh, it's only occasional," Ranboo mutters and Karl giggles wildly.

"Wait, I play video games, too," Skeppy complains. "And I don't know how to shoot like that."

But Tubbo smiles and shakes his head. "The first time I saw a zombie, I didn't either. I froze and Ranboo had to literally drag me away. But then, I realized it's pretty much the same mechanic as any shooter game."

Skeppy looks impressed, and even Sapnap seems like he respects Tubbo a bit more. Bad notices Techno smirking fondly at Tubbo, and the look warms his heart.

"Guys," Dream says, snapping everyone's attention away from Tubbo, who breathes a sigh of relief. "We should do a toast."

"Yes!" Quackity agrees enthusiastically, raising his glass. "To the apocalypse being fucked!"

Bad calls out "Language, Quackity!" out of habit, George scoffs, and Karl bursts into laughter. "You mean to the apocalypse being over, right?" Karl asks, between laughs, and Quackity blushes a little.

"Fine," Quackity mutters. "If that's what you wanna call it."

"You lot are so weird," Tommy says under his breath, but loud enough that everyone hears it anyway, and Karl has to stifle his laughter again.

"To the apocalypse being over," Dream agrees, raising his glass. Montero whoops and everyone clinks glasses and cheers.

Bad takes a small sip of his drink, grimacing a little. Skeppy, who Bad's pretty sure hasn't drank before, chugs his drink in three swallows. "Oh my God, Skeppy!" Bad exclaims, as Skeppy slams his glass down and crinkles his nose.

"Holy shit," Skeppy says, making a face, and Bad doesn't even have the heart to language him.

"That's not how you drink, you muffinhead!" Bad says, as Skeppy looks at him sheepishly.

"Well, I didn't know!" Skeppy retorts. "I've never drank before!"

Bad opens his mouth to reply, but then, Karl whoops and slams down his glass. "Glass me!" he calls, and Sapnap whips around to give him a look.

"You want me to do what?" Sapnap asks, fighting a smile. Dream and George are trying not to laugh, too, and Techno lets out a surprised scoff.

"I'm confused," Skeppy says, leaning a little closer to Bad. He ends up falling, somehow, and his head lands on Bad's shoulder. "Also, the world's spinning a little."

Bad sighs. "Skeppy, you're drunk. Just close your eyes, I'll go get you some water."

"No!" Skeppy says, his voice that adorably whine that Bad can't ever say no to. Especially as Skeppy grabs his hand and intertwines their fingers. "Stay. Stay with me, Bad."

"You're so dramatic," Bad mutters, but there's a smile curling his lips. Skeppy's eyes are closed as he smiles and nestles into Bad's shoulder.

The world fades into the background as Bad watches Skeppy get comfortable. And he can't even pretend to be upset with him, not when just looking at him brings a slight blush to Bad's cheeks.

Bad lifts a hand and brushes Skeppy's curls out of his eyes. "Next time, maybe you should think before you chug a whole glass of wine. What were you thinking?"

Skeppy frowns a little. "I'm not drunk, Bad. Trust me. I can handle alcohol."

Bad raises a brow. "I thought you'd never drank before."

"So?" Skeppy says, pouting. "Maybe you're the one who's drunk."

Bad scoffs. "I'm not drunk, Skeppy, I barely drank at all."

Skeppy sighs. "If you say so," he says, solemnly, and he moves so that he's laying down with his head in Bad's lap. Bad can't help his fond smile as he brushes away the hair that keeps falling into Skeppy's eyes. Skeppy's looks up at him with his dark gaze, eyes a little glazed with the wine.

"I love you, Bad," he mumbles, his cheeks laced pink. He holds Bad's hand a little tighter, looking suddenly sleepy. "Can you protect me while I sleep?"

Bad is torn between wanting to laugh and cry, but he squeezes Skeppy's hand. "I love you, too, Skeppy. And of course I will. Don't even worry about it."

Skeppy smiles and snuggles closer to Bad. He closes his eyes and, within seconds, is asleep.

Bad just watches him, a smile tugging at his lips, and he takes another sip of his lemonade, swearing to himself that he'll stay up the whole night if needs to just to keep his promise to Skeppy.

Karl's POV

"Wait, so glass me doesn't mean get me another glass?" Karl asks, genuinely perplexed, as Sapnap finally bursts into laughter, joined by Dream and George and Techno.

"You're such a nimrod," Sapnap gasps between laughs, and Karl glares at him, even though his laughter is contagious.

"I mean," Quackity says, holding back his laughter for Karl's sake. "You'll get another glass..."

Sapnap finally calms down when Karl smacks him in the arm, and he wipes the tears from his eyes. "Fine, I'm sorry," Sapnap says, a smile still tugging at his lips. He takes Karl's hand, partially to keep him from hitting him again. "Anyone could have made that mistake, it's not that bad."

"I hate you," Karl says, unable to keep the pout from his voice, and that gets Sapnap's attention more than the hit does. Sapnap's eyes soften a little and the fondness in them brings a blush to Karl's cheeks, as Sapnap squeezes his hand...

"Okay, lovebirds," George mutters from across the firepit. "We get it."

Karl can't help but whip around to stare at George in disbelief. "Hold up, that's coming from you?"

"Okay, guys, don't fight," Dream interjects, his lips twitching into a smile. "Some of us are trying to sleep, apparently."

Karl frowns and looks around. To his surprise, Tommy is fast asleep, leaning against Wilbur, who looks a little sleepy himself. Tubbo and Ranboo are dozing, too, cuddled close to each other. Apparently, that zero sugar soda really made the difference, Karl thinks. Techno and Montero are talking in a hushed whisper to Bad, who's gently cradling a dozing Skeppy.

"I thought you're meant to pass out after the alcohol," Karl wonders aloud, taking a sip of his glass, which Sapnap just filled for him.

"Guess they didn't get the memo," Sapnap agrees, grimacing as he takes a sip of his own drink.

"Oh my God," Quackity cuts in, and Karl can tell he's drunk by the panic in his voice. "I just realized something."

"That you're drunk?" George mutters, earning himself a glare from Quackity.

"No!" Quackity retorts. "That your mom is hot."

George can't keep in his burst of laughter and neither can Karl and Sapnap. Karl has to clap a hand over his mouth as Bad and Wilbur, who is fully awake now, both glare and shush them.

"Seriously, though," Quackity says. "What are you guys gonna do once the apocalypse is over? Like, are we still gonna be friends?"

"Of course we are, nimrod," Karl says, although Sapnap and Dream both look like they might disagree.

"I mean, me and Dream are gonna be living together," George says. "And so are Karl and Sapnap, so..."

Karl winces as Quackity whips around to him, looking betrayed. "You guys are moving in together?"

And Karl realizes he hasn't told him yet. "Look, Quackity..."

"You didn't tell me?" Quackity exclaims. "I thought we were friends!"

"Hey, it wasn't his fault," Sapnap intervenes, which just adds to Quackity's betrayal.

"Yeah, well, you would say that," Quackity says, turning away from them, like he doesn't want to look at them anymore.

"Hey, Q, don't be like that," Karl tries. "You can always visit us. You'll never not be welcome."

Quackity quickly wipes at his eyes. "No, it's okay. I'll just find myself someone else to move in with."

And with that, he gets up and stomps away. Karl groans, burying his face in his hands, and Sapnap rubs his back comfortingly.

"Shouldn't someone go after him?" George asks, trying his best not to, but sounding uncharacteristically worried. "What if there's still zombies or something?"

Techno sighs. "I'll go," he says, and Montero gets up to go with him.

"I'll go, too," George decides randomly, standing up and avoiding everyone's gazes. Dream looks shocked, and the smallest flicker of jealousy enters his gaze. But then, he meets Karl's eyes and it disappears just as quickly.

"That's a good idea," Dream says, letting go of his boyfriend's hand. "Bring him back."

Despite himself, Karl bites his lip to hold back a smile as George, blushing and still avoiding their gazes, follows the others after Quackity.

"Don't feel bad," Sapnap murmurs to him when George is gone. "He'll get over it." But there's a small kernel of guilt in Sapnap's voice, too.

"I know," Karl says, squeezing Sapnap's hand. "I'll talk to him later. Once the others have calmed him down."

Dream snorts. "Well, I don't know if George is gonna calm him down, but..."

Karl grins. "Then at least he'll be more upset with George than he is with me."

"Hey, by the way," Wilbur says, suddenly, and everyone turns to him. "Sorry if this is interrupting your family drama but where are we sleeping tonight?"

Karl, Sapnap, and Dream all turn, at once, to Bad, who looks perplexed. "Why would I know?" he asks them, but then sighs when they just shrug. "Why don't we camp here for the night?" he suggests. "Seeing as half of us are already asleep anyway. We still have some of our old camping gear in the car. Karl, you know where it is."

Karl takes that as his cue, grabs Sapnap's hand, and stands them both up. "Yeah, sure, we'll go get it."

"Don't get distracted on the way," Dream mutters, earning a glare from Sapnap and a smirk from Karl.

"Don't you nimrods do anything too stupid before we get back," Karl says, dragging Sapnap with him. "Wouldn't wanna die now. After all, we did just survive a zombie apocalypse."

(1826 words)

Notes:

Hope y'all enjoyed! <3

Chapter 64: What Do You Want?

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: swearing, mention of alcohol

Sapnap lets Karl drag him into the school, not minding that Karl's taking the lead. After all, his head is spinning a little after the wine, and he's too relieved that the zombie apocalypse is probably over to care about anything else. Except for maybe Quackity, but he's trying to not to think about the shred of guilt that stabs his chest whenever he does think of him.

Karl slows down once they're inside, his hand squeezing a little tighter around Sapnap's. When he turns around, Sapnap inhales sharply. Because there are tears in Karl's eyes before he throws himself into Sapnap's arms.

Sapnap almost stumbles back at the force of it, but regains his balance at the last moment. "What is it, Karl?"

"Do you think..." Karl stars, his voice hoarse with tears. "Do you think that Quackity will forgive us?"

Sapnap sighs and squeezes Karl's shoulders, hugging him closer. "That's what you're worried about?" Karl nods against his chest. "Of course he'll forgive you," Sapnap reassures him. "When has Quackity ever been able to stay mad at you?"

Karl huffs a laugh and lets go of Sapnap to wipe at his eyes. "What about you?"

Sapnap shrugs, smiling a little. "I can take him. Don't worry about me."

"Who said I was worried?" Karl mutters, drying his tears, and Sapnap's smirk widens.

"Just give him time," Sapnap says, wrapping an arm around Karl and massaging his shoulders lightly. "George and the others will talk some sense into him. Hopefully. Besides, like you said, it's not like he can't visit us whenever he wants to. He'll probably be barging in every other day."

That makes Karl giggle and, when he looks up at Sapnap, his eyes are clear and sparkling. "You're probably right. Thanks, Nick."

Warmth shoots through Sapnap's chest, silencing the guilt. "No problem," he mutters, ignoring the blush that rises to his cheeks. He clears his throat and adds, "We should probably get going or the others will think we got distracted or whatever."

Karl's smile is what actually distracts him, especially because it makes Sapnap wonder if Karl wants them to get distracted. He probably does, Sapnap realizes, and the burning in his cheeks intensifies.

He's hoping Karl won't notice how flustered he is but, of course, he does. His grin turns wicked. "Define distracted?"

"I'm not the one who said it," Sapnap mutters, rubbing the back of his neck.

Karl steps a little closer, the innocence on his face offset by the teasing gleam in his eyes. "I just don't know what he meant. Maybe you can help me figure it out."

Sapnap's face is still burning but now the heat blooms low in his stomach. Karl is even closer now, his head tipped upwards, and Sapnap realizes that he's not about to let Karl mess with him.

He grabs Karl's arm, about to crash their lips together, when Karl pulls away, shrugging casually. "Guess not," Karl says, a smirk playing at his lips. "We should go get that camping stuff, huh?"

Sapnap almost growls but restrains himself as he notes Karl's smirk. So he shrugs, too, letting go of Karl's arm. "Fine," he says. "Let's go."

Karl grabs his hand and they start back down the hallway, heading towards the front doors of the school and the car parked in the front parking lot. Sapnap lets Karl lead him, pretending that he doesn't notice the tension lingering between them or the heat still in the pit of his stomach.

But as he holds the door open for Karl, as Karl's sweet scent brushes past him, Sapnap promises himself something. As soon as they get the camping stuff, as soon as they're alone in their tent...

He'll get Karl back for his teasing.

George's POV

George leaves Dream's side to follow Techno and Montero, and wonders why he's worried in the least about Quackity. Because he is, even if he doesn't understand why. Even Dream just looks confused, and George can't meet his gaze as he follows the other two, moving in the direction where Quackity disappeared.

"He's probably just sulking," Techno says when they can't hear the others talking around the campfire anymore. "He does that sometimes."

George scoffs, as if it can hide his worry. "It's more than sometimes," he says, and Techno and Montero exchange a grin.

Techno stops them when they reach a ladder climbing upwards at the back of the school. "This goes up to the roof," Techno explains, and George remembers that one time when Sapnap rescued Karl from the roof after Karl had disappeared.

"Let's get this over with," George says with a sigh, and he starts up the ladder before the other two.

He doesn't even reach the roof's ledge, before he hears footsteps. A loud voice calls, "Who's there? Show yourself, motherfucker."

"Quackity?" George says, lifting himself onto the roof. "It's just me. And Techno and Montero."

"Oh," Quackity sniffles, putting down his broomstick. "What do you want?"

George takes a deep breath to keep in his annoyance. "We're here to check on you. The others are worried."

"But you're not, I'm assuming?" Quackity asks, sarcastically, wiping at his eyes. "Why do you even care where I go? I'm grieving, okay?"

Guilt stabs through George and, for a second, he almost admits that he's worried, too. But he stops himself. Too wholesome, he reminds himself. Even if it's stupid.

"Grieving what?" he asks instead. "Of course Sapnap and Karl would move in together. They're literally dating."

He feels bad as the words leave his mouth, but Quackity just raises a brow. "Oh, look who knows everything," Quackity mocks. "Shut up, asshole. I'm still allowed to grieve. It's a free country."

George snorts to cover a giggle that bubbles up. "Fine, grieve if that's what you want," he says. "But do it by the campfire so we don't have to wonder where you went."

"No one asked you to babysit me," Quackity mutters, but he looks a little less upset. He raises his chin, looking George in the eye. "I'll go with you on one condition."

George just sighs. "I'm listening."

Quackity grins, his tears suddenly forgotten. "Karl and Sapnap said that I'm welcome any time at their place..." he starts, and George suddenly has a bad feeling about where this is going.

"You want me and Dream to say the same thing?" he asks incredulously, and Quackity nods vigorously, still grinning like an idiot. George glances at Techno and Montero, who are standing behind him and who nod encouragingly. After a quick internal debate, George sighs, giving in. "Fine. You're welcome at our place."

"Any time?" Quackity asks, his eyes gleaming.

"Yes, any time," George agrees, and Quackity whoops and rushes at him, throwing his arms around him.

"Let's go, George!" he yells, and George grins despite himself, though he doesn't let Quackity see it.

"Come on," George says, pulling away, straight-faced. "We should go back."

The grin is still on Quackity's face as he loops an arm around George's shoulders and nods. "Let's go back."

George has to fight to keep a smile off his face, despite himself, as him, Quackity, and Techno and Montero take the ladder down from the roof and head back to the campfire.

Quackity manages to talk the whole walk back, and Techno and Montero move on ahead, holding back a smile and leaving George by himself with Quackity. George groans, burying his face in his hands, but Quackity doesn't seem to notice. Or maybe he pretends not to notice.

They reach the campfire a few minutes after Techno and Montero do, and George immediately shrugs Quackity's arm off his shoulders before Dream can see it. "Quackity's back," George deadpans and everyone turns to him.

"You feeling any better, Quackity?" Bad asks, genuine concern in his voice.

"I'm feeling way fucking better!" Quackity exclaims, and Bad rolls his eyes, looking like he regrets asking the question.

Just then, the school doors open, and Sapnap shoulders his way out, carrying a bunch of camping stuff. "We got the shit," he says as Karl appears behind him, his arms also full. But Karl drops all of the camping gear as soon as he spots Quackity.

"You came back!" Karl exclaims, rushing to Quackity. "Does that mean you're not mad anymore?"

Quackity scoffs and rolls his eyes, but his cheeks are pink. "Of course I'm not mad, dumbass," Quackity says, and he laughs as Karl throws his arms around him.

"Hello, guys?" Sapnap asks. "Any help here?"

Karl and Quackity both burst into giggles, laughing until there are tears streaming from their eyes, and George and Sapnap exchange a half-confused, half-amused look.

When Karl and Quackity finally calm down enough to breathe again, they help Sapnap spread the camping gear out on the ground. George, Dream, Techno and the others gather around to help set the tents up.

"So," Karl says, once they're all gathered again, clapping his hands together. "Who's sharing with who?"

(1504 words)

Notes:

This is kind of a transition chapter so it's a little short, sorry!! Also, I've been super busy with school n stuff but I'm gonna try and post more often because the story's almost done!

Hope y'all enjoyed, comments are always appreciated <3<3

Chapter 65: Just Like Old Times

Notes:

This is a longer chapter, y'all, enjoy <3<3

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sapnap feels himself blush despite himself at Karl's question, as Karl's eyes land on him. "Who do you think is sharing with who?" Sapnap mutters, ignoring Dream and George's teasing grins.

Dream shrugs. "I mean, I'm with George. You guys can do what you want, I guess."

"I'm with Skeppy," Bad adds innocently, and Sapnap sighs.

"Well, of course I'm with Karl," Sapnap shoots back.

"No one said you weren't," George smirks. "Why are you being so defensive all of a sudden, Sapnap?"

"Shut up," Sapnap snaps as Dream, Karl, and Bad try to stifle their laughter.

Karl slings an arm over Sapnap's shoulders. "No one's accusing you, Sapnap, relax, man. Let's just get the tents set up. Then we can pick this conversation back up, because it's clearly super important."

Sapnap and Dream both roll their eyes at Karl, but Sapnap sighs and nods. On the other side of the camp, Bad shakes Skeppy awake, whose eyes snap open in a panic.

"Oh my God, are we being attacked?" Skeppy exclaims, sitting up so quickly, he almost hits Bad in the face. "Why did no one wake me up earlier?"

"Skeppy, calm down!" Bad says, moving a safe distance away before Skeppy can almost hit him again. "No one's attacking us, I just need your help to set up the tents."

Wilbur doesn't waste his time waking Tommy and the others up nicely like Bad did with Skeppy. He just kicks Tommy in the ribs and deadpans, "Wake up!" Then he does the same to Ranboo and Tubbo, who scramble away from each other the second they're fully awake. Tubbo's cheeks are slightly pink bit he nods casually at the others and says a quick, "Hey, guys. What's going on?"

"You guys are sharing, I'm assuming?" Sapnap asks them, and Tubbo's eyes go a little wide, until Wilbur rolls his eyes and says, "On behalf of all of us, yes."

Karl and Quackity help distribute the tents until everyone has one and Techno agrees to take first watch, even though there aren't any zombies around. Sapnap takes a tent from Karl, who hands the last tent to Quackity and Montero.

Then, Karl stretches out on a log and closes his eyes, like Sapnap isn't standing there with an unbuilt tent.

"Um, hello?" Sapnap says, incredulously, and Karl opens his eyes, giving him a sly look. "Did you feel like helping, or...?" Sapnap asks, holding up the tent. "Look, the others are already ahead of us."

Karl sits up, never taking his eyes off Sapnap. "So this is a competition now? You could have told me."

Sapnap rolls his eyes and Karl grins. "If that's the only way to make you help me, then yes, it's a competition."

Karl's grin widens and he jumps up. "Okay, I'll help. It's on you if we don't win though."

Sapnap huffs a laugh despite himself, and hands Karl the poles to the tent, shivering a little when their hands brush. But then, he remembers his promise to himself, from before. So he grabs Karl's hand and intertwines their fingers.

Karl smirks a little, though his eyes sparkle. "Little difficult to build a tent one-handed, but..."

Sapnap shrugs, one-shouldered. "Sounds like a you problem, dude," he says, holding back a smile when Karl giggles.

"Okay, fine," Karl says, struggling a little with the tent poles. But he gives up almost immediately and sits back down on the log, dragging Sapnap with him. "Let's take a break."

Sapnap scoffs. "Already?" he starts, but he forgets what he's about to say when Karl pulls him closer and rests his hands lightly on Sapnap's shoulders. And Sapnap suddenly doesn't feel like complaining when Karl starts to gently massage his shoulders.

"Breaks are good," Karl says, his voice light and distracting. "Besides, we did just survive a zombie apocalypse."

Sapnap snorts. "Why do you keep saying that?"

"Because," Karl says, his hands going still for a second. "We deserve a break. Like, a really long one."

And Sapnap can't bring himself to contradict that, not when he realizes that Karl is right. But...

"We'll take a break once we're done building our tent," Sapnap says, gently taking Karl's hands off his shoulders. "Then, we can take a break in private."

Karl grins and pulls them both to their feet. "Finally, some motivation," he says, and Sapnap doesn't have to say anything else to convince him to help.

It takes them ten minutes to put the whole thing together and, somehow, they're the first ones done. Sapnap shoots Dream a questioning look, and Dream just rolls his eyes and gestures to George, who's clearly pretending to be asleep on a nearby log so he doesn't have to help. And Skeppy's actually asleep, meaning that Techno's helping Bad put their tent together.

"Well, good night, guys," Karl says, waving at the group. Then, he takes Sapnap's hand and drags them inside their new tent. Sapnap does his best to ignore the giggles from the rest of the group, and the way his face feels warm, as he focuses on his promise to himself.

Last time they'd shared a tent, there were two sleeping bags, but this time, Sapnap doesn't complain when Karl only lays one down. Then, Karl snuggles into the sleeping bag, patting the spot next to him. Sapnap yanks off his hoodie, leaving on his shirt, and slides into the sleeping bag with Karl, who snuggles against him.

"Just like old times, huh?" Karl asks, as Sapnap's arm goes around him.

Sapnap snorts. "I don't think you're remembering it right."

"What do you mean?" Karl asks, his eyes sparkling. "Haven't you been in love with me since, like, the beginning of the apocalypse?"

"Keep telling yourself that," Sapnap says, a smile tugging at his lips, as he leans down and pulls Karl to him, bringing their lips together.

Sapnap, for once, has the upper hand as he rolls on top of Karl, pinning him to the sleeping bag. Karl gasps as Sapnap kisses him hard, bringing one hand down to grip Karl's hip. He shivers as Karl's hands trace his cheeks, his jaw, his chest, finally twining around his neck to pull him closer.

When Sapnap finally pulls away, they're both breathless and Karl's cheeks are uncharacteristically flushed. "On second thought," Karl says, panting slightly. "This is better than old times."

Sapnap scoffs, pecking a kiss on Karl's lips. "Way better than old times," he says, leaning down again, and locking their lips together.

Bad's POV

Bad lets out a frustrated exhale, staring at his boyfriend, as Techno helps him get the tent upright. "Skeppy!" Bad exclaims, shaking his boyfriend. Skeppy just groans and rolls over, keeping his eyes stubbornly shut. "You're not even asleep at this point! Techno has to make our tent because of you!"

"Why aren't you making it?" Skeppy mumbles, and Bad has to refrain from retorting.

Instead, he turns to Techno. "I'm so sorry about this," he starts, but Techno just shakes his head and smirks.

"Don't worry about it, Bad," Techno says, lowering his voice confidentially. "I'll just get back at him later."

Skeppy's eyes snap open and he sits up so quickly, he almost falls over. "So, do you guys need help with anything?"

"Oh my God," Bad mutters, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Techno, you're a genius. Skeppy, you're a muffinhead."

"Why am I a muffinhead?" Skeppy asks, looking offended, and Techno huffs a laugh.

"Well, Skeppy," Techno says. "You successfully managed to completely avoid building the tent, so I'll give you that."

"Thank you, Techno," Bad says, quickly, and Skeppy echoes it, as Techno leaves to take his watch. Then, Bad turns a glare on Skeppy. "Good job, Skeppy, you made him do all of that for you."

Skeppy pouts and, even though Bad knows he's just trying to look cute, he can't help but soften a tiny bit. "Bad," Skeppy whines. "I didn't mean to. I was just tired."

Bad sighs and flips open the tent flap. "Fine. Then you can go to sleep."

"Are you coming with me?" Skeppy asks, making puppy-dog eyes at him.

"In a second," Bad manages, avoiding Skeppy's gaze. "I'm just gonna say good night to the others."

Skeppy just nods, still pouting, and disappears into the tent. And, even though Bad feels a little bit bad about lying to him, he promises himself that he'll join Skeppy the second he's talked to Techno.

Techno senses him approaching before he reaches him, and turns to face him, a half-smile on his face. "What's going on?"

Bad smiles back, glancing around to make sure none of the others are listening. Most of them are already in their tents, and Dream and George are bickering over by their tent, too distracted to notice anything. So Bad lets out a breath, and blurts out his question. "Are you actually gonna leave with Wilbur and the others tomorrow?"

Techno's smile wavers a little, and Bad suddenly wishes he hadn't brought it up. But then, Techno's smile returns. "Not if I can convince them to stay with us. Tommy's forgiven me, and the others seems to be warming up to you guys. Maybe they'll want to stay."

"And if they don't?" Bad asks quietly and Techno puts a hand on his shoulder, squeezing it reassuringly.

"I don't mind going with them," Techno says. "But I'll miss you guys."

Bad smiles, a little sadly. "We'll miss you, too, Techno."

Bad turns around to leave, knowing Skeppy will get suspicious if he doesn't show up soon, but... He turns back around, facing Techno. "Try to convince them. We all want you to stay."

Techno nods. "I'll try, Bad," he says, and Bad quickly turns around before he can say anything else.

Bad walks back to his tent, half-expecting Skeppy to be waiting for him with a million questions. But when he opens the flap to his tent, Skeppy's asleep in their sleeping bag, his face peaceful and his hair tousled.

Bad smiles, despite himself, and does his best to keep quiet as he slips into the sleeping bag next to Skeppy, who instinctively curls toward him, letting a hand drop on his chest.

Bad brushes a kiss on Skeppy's head and closes his eyes, willing Skeppy's closeness to distract him from the conversation he just had with Techno, as he drifts into an uneasy sleep.

Dream's POV

"I'm literally trying to sleep," George says, for the millionth time, as Dream shakes him again.

"But you're not asleep," Dream retorts. "And you'll be able to sleep as soon as we set up the tent, idiot."

"Let me go," George whines, as Dream takes his wrist and tries to get him to sit up. "You're so annoying."

"I'm annoying?" Dream asks incredulously, grabbing George's hand. "You're the one who won't help."

George cracks an eye open, looking suddenly interested. "What do I get if I help?"

"Nothing, idiot," Dream says, but he gives in when George shuts his eyes again. "Fine, what do you want?"

George opens both eyes, and Dream has to stifle a smirk. "Compensation. You owe me."

"How does that make sense?" Dream asks, but George squeezes his hand and sits up, his eyes glittering and distracting.

"Deal," George says, shaking Dream's hand before Dream can stop him. He stands up. "Okay, I'll help."

"You're such a..." Dream starts, but George just smirks at him, turns away, and starts building the tent. And Dream, despite himself, can't help but huff a laugh at George's stupid deal. Except he stifles it the second George turns back around, brows raised.

"Are you going to help me?" George asks, and Dream rolls his eyes and sets to work on building the tent.

"You're such a princess," Dream says, as they finish setting up their tent. "That's what I was going to say."

George scoffs, stepping back from the tent. "What does that mean?"

Dream moves closer to him, towering over George. "It means," he says, lowering his voice, close enough now that if he leans down, he can brush his lips against George's. "That you're pretty and you know it. You use it to your advantage."

George's cheeks are pink, but he lifts his chin stubbornly. "And? Do you have a problem with that, Dream?"

Dream shrugs, letting his hands rest on George's hips. "Maybe," Dream says, brushing a soft, teasing kiss against George's lips.

George arches into the kiss, but Dream pulls away. "Good night," Dream says, forcing his voice to be casual just to annoy George as he ducks into their tent.

George follows him, trying to look indifferent. But his cheeks are flushed and his eyes are glittering. "Call me what you want, but you still owe me," George says, slipping into the sleeping bag before Dream. "And I'm not gonna forget it."

"Suit yourself," Dream says, climbing into the sleeping bag after him, letting his chest press against George's back. "Good night," he whispers against George's ear, and he feels George shiver. But George doesn't resist as Dream wraps his arms around him, his eyes already heavy. Dream finds himself drifting off, his body pressed against George's, his heart warm, and a smile tugging at his lips.

(2215 words)

Notes:

Y'all this story is literally almost done, I can't believe it, but this is probably the penultimate chapter! There's gonna be an epilogue after the last chapter though. Thank you to everyone who's been reading this until now, I really appreciate you and I hope you enjoyed! <3<3

Chapter 66: It's Been A Good Run

Notes:

Y'all, this is the last chapter (before the epilogue)! This one's a bit longer, so I hope you enjoy <3

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Tw: swearing

"Dream!" a familiar voice calls, waking him up.

Dream groans and rolls over, only opening his eyes when he doesn't sense George next to him. He sits up, almost bumping into Sapnap. "What is it?" he asks, suddenly wide awake. "Where's George?"

Sapnap looks serious enough to worry Dream. "George is fine. It's Techno who's the problem."

"What do you mean?" Dream asks, rubbing his eyes, his panic dialing down slightly. He runs his hands through his hair. "What's up with Techno?"

Sapnap lets out a slow, shuddering breath. "He's gone. Him and Montero and Tommy and the others..."

Dream's hands freeze in his hair. "What?"

Sapnap motions for Dream to follow him and crawls out of the tent. Dream forces himself to wake up again as he steps outside of the tent, his eyes scanning the clearing. Bad is outside, talking worridely with...

"George!" Dream calls, rushing over to him. George turns around, just in time for Dream to reach him and wrap his arms around him. George lets out a surprised, "Dream!" as Dream pulls him into his arms.

"What's wrong with you?" George asks, sounding flustered. But he doesn't pull away. "I'm fine."

Dream finally pulls away, holding him at arm distance. "I didn't know where you were! You can't just disappear like that!"

George rolls his eyes, even as a blush creeps into his cheeks. "Stop worrying so much, I can take care of myself. Sorry I wasn't there to kiss you awake or whatever."

Dream feels his cheeks grow hot at the idea, but he shakes all thoughts of George out of his head, as he nods as Bad. He realizes he's suddenly eager to change the subject. "Fine," he says to George. "I forgive you for now. Do you guys know anything about Techno or the others?"

George suddenly goes serious and Bad frowns, pushing up his glasses. "We have no idea. I've been looking for him all morning." Bad hesitates, then adds, "I did talk to him last night, and he said that if he couldn't convince the others to stay, then he would go with them. I have no idea about Montero, though. Maybe he agreed to go with him."

Sapnap, who's joined them, sighs. "It's just one problem after another."

Dream turns to him. "Where's Karl? Or Skeppy and Quackity for that matter?"

"They're still sleeping," Bad answers for Sapnap. "We didn't want to wake them up just to worry them."

Dream nods, his mind whirling. "Okay. Why don't we split up and search for Techno and the others then? They probably didn't get far."

"I agree with Dream," Sapnap says. "Let's go find them."

"I'll go with Dream," George says, shouldering the crossbow Dream hadn't even noticed he was holding. "Sapnap, go with Bad."

"Fine, I will," Sapnap says, and him and Bad start off in the direction of the school.

Dream turns to George. "Do you know if their van is still out front?"

George shrugs, stepping forward to take Dream's hand. "Let's check."

"What about the others?" Dream asks, looking at the tents even as George drags him toward the school. "Shouldn't someone be staying watch?"

George shoots him a grin. "Not if we're quick enough."

Dream rolls his eyes. "Fine," he says, pulling out the knife he always keeps at his belt. "Let's go."

They break into a jog, George still leading the way, and Dream looks into every classroom they pass until they reach the front doors of the school, but he doesn't see anything that could point them in Techno's direction.

But then, they reach the front doors and George stops, so suddenly that Dream runs into him, placing his hands on George's shoulders to brace himself. "What is it?"

"Look," George says, pointing at the parking lot ahead. Dream scoffs, squeezing George's shoulders, as he sees what George is pointing at.

"I can't believe we were worried about them," George says, putting a hand on Dream's. "And they never even left."

Dream lets himself grin as he stares at the van that's still parked in the parking lot, and the group of people talking around it. "Those idiots," he says, taking George's hand. "Come on, let's go talk to them."

Techno sees them approaching before they reach the van, and he suddenly looks uncharacteristically flustered. "Hey..."

"Where were you guys?" George demands as the others notice them too. "Sapnap was going crazy trying to find you."

Ranboo sighs and looks around the group. "Should I tell them? Or do you guys wanna explain what in God's name I witnessed this morning?"

Tommy looks sheepish, too, as he mumbles, "I can explain." Then, he points at Techno. "It's his fault."

Techno rolls his eyes and steps forward. "I don't know if Bad told you, but we had a conversation last night about me leaving. I said I would try to convince the others to stay."

"But instead of doing that," Wilbur interrupts. "He didn't even let us explain ourselves. He just said, let's go. Apparently, he doesn't like saying goodbyes."

Techno's face looks suddenly red. "Sorry, guys. There's good news though. Apparently, they're planning on staying."

Dream starts. "Really? That's great."

"You could sound more enthusiastic," Tommy mutters.

"So you were just planning on going along with this?" George asks Montero. "You two were really just gonna leave?"

Montero looks sheepish. "I thought it was for the best."

Dream squeezes George's hand to stop him from retorting. "It's fine, at least they're staying. We should tell the others."

Techno and Montero nod and the group goes back into the school, Dream and George at their head. They reach the back of the school, where Sapnap and Bad are back and the others are still asleep.

"Techno! Montero!" Bad calls, rushing forward to hug them both. Then, he looks accusingly at Techno. "What happened? I thought we agreed last night."

Techno shoots him a half-grin. "We did. And everyone's staying."

Bad grins brightly. "That's the best news I've heard in a while," he says, turning to Tommy and the others. "Welcome, officially, to the group, guys."

But Techno grins. "I've got better news, actually." He looks toward the tents, where Skeppy and Quackity are still sleeping and Karl is talking to Tommy and the others. "You might wanna wake the others up for this."

Dream frowns. "It's that important?"

Techno's grin just widens. "You'll see."

Bad goes to wake Skeppy up and George is about to go wake Quackity when Quackity stumbles out of his tent, rubbing at his eyes. "Why is it so fucking bright?" he asks.

George rolls his eyes and Dream holds back a smile. "You're outside, idiot, of course it's bright. And why did you sleep so long?"

Quackity squints at him. "Why didn't you sleep so long, dumbass?"

George lets out a surprised scoff just as Bad returns, pulling a sleepy Skeppy by the hand. Skeppy raises a hand at them in greeting, then leans his head against Bad's shoulder, looking like he's about to fall asleep.

"Okay, so what's the good news?" Dream asks Techno, turning to him. He feels George grab his hand instinctively, and his own heartbeat speeds up as they brace for whatever Techno's about to tell them. But just as Techno opens his mouth to say whatever he's about to say, Wilbur raises his hand.

"Guys, look what I found," he calls, holding up something that looks like...

"Is that a phone?" Dream blurts out, suddenly realizing that he hasn't seen a phone since the start of the apocalypse.

Quackity's eyes widen. "Holy shit, where did you find that?"

"By the road," Techno says. "When we were about to leave, Wilbur noticed it."

"And it still works!" Tubbo practically shouts. "We've got wifi and everything!"

There's a grin creeping onto Karl's face. "So we've got news? We know what's happening with the apocalypse?"

"Look!" Tubbo says, yanking the phone out of Wilbur's hands and showing it to Dream and the others. Dream almost can't believe the video he's seeing, where a reporter is talking about how a cure has been found for the apocalypse and people are starting to come back to cities.

"So we can go back?" Dream asks, his heart in his throat. George is squeezing his hand so hard it hurts, his eyes sparkling. "The apocalypse is actually over?"

Techno grins widely. "Told you guys. It's finally done."

Sapnap lets out a rough exhale. "Oh my fucking God," he says, and even Skeppy's suddenly wide awake, leaning on Bad for a different reason. Sapnap locks eyes with Dream. "We can go back to our apartment."

"Holy shit!" Quackity yells, suddenly excited. "Back to the city!"

George laughs, a little hysterical, and throws himself into Dream's arms. Dream barely registers as he wraps his arms around George, laughing a little, too. The world seems like it's spinning, or maybe that's just his head. The thought makes him laugh harder, until he's wheezing and George has tears in his eyes.

Karl's crying, too, a hand over his mouth, leaning into Sapnap, who's got an arm around him to keep them both upright. Tubbo, Tommy, Skeppy, and Quackity are jumping around excitedly, laughing maniacally. Dream meets Montero's gaze, who's grinning broadely, his eyes dancing.

"Well, guys," Karl manages, wiping his eyes. "It's been a good run."

"What are you talking about?" Dream says. "It's not over yet. We still have a road trip to do."

Karl grins through his tears, looking around at everyone. "One last run, then."

*Time Skip*

A few hours later, everyone's packed and ready to leave the school. Dream glances around the now-empty classroom that they all slept in, and a feeling of nostalgia washes over him. Of course he's happy that the apocalypse is over and that they get to go back, but...

George bursts into the classroom, interrupting his thoughts. "Dream."

Dream shakes himself out of his reverie. "What is it? Are the others ready?"

George moves forward to take Dream's hand. "Just follow me."

Dream doesn't know if he should smile or frown at the mystery in George's voice, as he lets George drag him out of the classroom. He forces himself not to look back as the door falls shut.

"Where are we going?" Dream asks as George pulls him toward a door at the end of the hallway. Then, he realizes it's a stairwell. "The roof?"

"Just shut up, idiot," George says, squeezing his hand and leading him up the stairs.

Dream blinks in the bright sunlight as they find themselves on the roof. They're not alone, Dream realizes. Sapnap, Karl, Bad, and Skeppy are all standing together, looking at something below them.

Karl looks over and waves. "Look who it is!"

"What are you guys doing here?" Dream asks, as him and George move to join them. When Dream looks down, he can see Techno and the others packing up the van and the convertible.

Karl shrugs. "It's like a little reunion before we leave. We were the founders of this group, remember?"

George scoffs and Dream realizes that Karl is right. At the beginning, it was just them.

"I can't believe it's over," Bad says. He looks nostalgic too, and Skeppy, who's holding his hand, looks close to tears.

"It's not over," Sapnap reminds them. "Even if the apocalypse is, our group will stay."

Karl grins brightly. "We can get together every weekend, or something. Play some video games."

Even George smiles at the thought. "Whatever the game is, I guarantee I'm the best," he says, which makes Dream scoff and roll his eyes, and Sapnap huff in offense.

"You wish," Sapnap says, and Karl and Bad giggle and Skeppy grins teasingly.

"We will get together, though," Dream says. "We just survived an apocalypse. It's not like we're gonna forget that any time soon."

"Hey, assholes!" a voice yells from below, and they all look down to see Quackity squinting up at them. "What the fuck are you doing up there? We're leaving!"

"Give us a second!" George yells back, sticking his tongue out when Quackity scowls at them.

Karl looks around at them. "Whatever happens, promise we'll all stay friends. Dream's right. Surviving an apocalypse is bound to make us closer, right?"

"Promise," Sapnap says first and the others all echo it in unison.

"Guys, hurry the fuck up!" Quackity yells, and Dream and George exchange a look. Suddenly, despite the sad moment, there's a smile tugging at Dream's lips.

Bad sighs. "Come on, guys. We should probably get going."

They all nod, and Bad takes Skeppy's hand, starting toward the stairwell. Karl squeezes Sapnap's hand and follows them, leaving only Dream, George, and Sapnap.

Sapnap grins at Dream and George. "We're actually the founders, huh?"

George scoffs. "Well... me and Dream are for sure, but..."

Sapnap hits him lightly, prompting George to giggle, which just makes Sapnap look offended. Dream can't help but grin as George's giggle turns into a full on laugh. And, even with Sapnap there, Dream steals a quick kiss from George, who looks surprised but not upset.

"We're going home, guys," Dream says, taking George's hand. And, as he and George and Sapnap stand there, letting that sink in, Dream realizes something. Despite everything that happened during the apocalypse, despite the zombies and the weapons, he still has his friends by his side. And new ones, too. And George, who's more than a friend now.

"Come on, Dream," George says, tugging his hand, and Dream realizes that him and Sapnap have already started moving toward the stairwell. "We're leaving."

Despite his nostalgia, Dream smiles, letting George lead him back inside. Back toward his friends.

"It really has been a good run," Dream murmurs, and he follows his friends toward the cars that will take them all back home.

(2309 words)

Notes:

I can't believe it but this story is literally done!! I'm not gonna lie, it went on way longer than I had originally thought but I really loved working on it and I'm sad it's over. I will be writing an epilogue for this at some point, though, and I'm planning on writing more stories in the future! Thank you so much to everyone who read, commented, and liked this story, I really appreciate all of you! For the last time, before the epilogue, hope y'all enjoyed! <3<3

Chapter 67: Update - Author's Note

Chapter Text

Tw: mention of death

Hey y'all,

I know I promised you guys an update and I'm sorry it's taken so long. I tried writing it, but I had writer's block for a while and then the situation with Techno happened and that really made me question everything, including a lot about this story because I didn't know if I should keep him in the story for the epilogue or not and I didn't know if I could write about it without sobbing. I've taken a kind of break from the dsmp, mostly because of that, and I don't think I can write this epilogue right now or any time in the near future as I've lost the point of the story. I'm sorry this is an author's note and not an epilogue, but I still wanted to thank everyone who supported and is still supporting this story! It means so much. I don't know if I'll be returning to this story at any point, but I loved writing it while it lasted and I hope all of you enjoyed it as well.

~ Asuna