Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 7 of Glitra Week 2021
Collections:
Glitra Week 2021
Stats:
Published:
2021-07-04
Words:
1,797
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
6
Kudos:
44
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
594

Don't Leave My Side

Summary:

Glitra Week 2021

Day Seven: Proposal/Keeping a Promise

Notes:

Well everyone... Glitra Week is already over.

It pains me to say that, but I'm so glad you've stuck around this year to read my contributions!

I went with Keeping a Promise rather than proposal, but maybe later I'll write a part two of this set in the future with a proposal because I like cheesy things haha

Work Text:

Glimmer didn't know why Catra kept coming back to her cell, but something just kept bringing her there every day.

Maybe it was the confusing way the halls were set up, maybe it was muscle memory after the first few times of going there to gloat and tease.

Whatever the reason, Glimmer found herself surprisingly grateful for the company.

There was usually a guard not too far away from them, so they could never be truly free to talk about what they wanted to- but there were certain topics they felt the guards wouldn't find very interesting or report- worthy, so they talked about those topics to pass time.

Little things, really. Stories of getting into trouble as kids, their favourite memories with Adora- though they both mutually agreed after the first few stories that they'd rather not talk about her, and for good reasons- and random things that popped into their minds.

After a couple of weeks- or months, or only days, as time was hard to distinguish on Prime's ship with no clocks or moon cycles to help them keep track- Catra had been granted permission to enter Glimmer's cell, in hopes that she could "gather information" from the prisoner.

It was around then that Glimmer's feelings for Catra started to... shift.

Where once she felt resentment towards the girl, a long-running hatred for everything she had done in the past to not only herself, but those around her- Glimmer was now starting to feel a longing to see her again each time Catra left, for reasons she felt ran deeper than simply longing for familiarity.

It started off as convenience- for both of them. Someone to talk with to pass time, someone to touch to feel the warmth neither would admit to desperately craving.

She could only hope Catra felt the same way.

"Catra." Glimmer began one day after fully realising the extent of her feelings.

The brunette looked at her from the small space between them, blue and gold eyes gazing at her curiously.

"If we were on Etheria- without a raging war... What would you want? What would you do?" She asked, pulling her knees closer to her chest as she watched Catra copy the action.

"Woah there, Sparkles. That's a loaded question." Catra chuckled, but Glimmer saw through to the nervousness underneath. Clearly, neither of them knew what they would do when- or more realistically, if- they made it out of this alive.

"Anything in the world. What would you want?" Glimmer asked again, scooting a bit closer to see Catra's face as she answered.

Catra opened her mouth to speak, glancing Glimmer up and down before blushing and looking away quickly. Glimmer blushed as well, looking away.

"Oh."

"Yeah, 'oh'."

They risked a glance at each other, their hands somehow finding each other in the miniscule amount of space between them. Unsure of who made the first move, they leaned into each other to share their first kiss- sitting on the bed of Glimmer's cell, in the rare moments when a guard wasn't watching their every move, the only eyes on them belonging to one another.

They kissed for some time- both craving it far too much to be satistied with just one or two kisses- before settling on Glimmer's bed together, with the queen wrapped in the magicat's arms.

Catra held her close as Glimmer had the best rest she'd had in a good while, tracing shapes against her back with blunt claws as she waited for Glimmer to wake again.

When she did, Catra greeted her with a timid smile, which Glimmer responded to by placing her hand on Catra's cheek and leaning in to kiss her sweetly.

"Glimmer?" Catra asked softly as the pink haired girl began trying to lull Catra into her own rest.

"Yes?" Glimmer hummed, playing gently with Catra's soft and fluffy hair between scratching her ears.

"I... I'll get you out of here. I promise." Catra responded in a low tone. Glimmer bit her lip, hearing the unspoken note in her words.

"I won't go without you." Glimmer said sternly while still keeping her voice smooth.

Catra smiled softly into her chest, pulling Glimmer closer. "If I make it out of here alive I'll never leave you alone, you know." She chuckled weakly before drifting off to sleep.

Glimmer chuckled quietly, pressing a gentle kiss to the top of her head. "I'll be counting on that, Horde Scum." She whispered, holding Catra close as she kept watch for Prime's guard coming to bring Catra back to her own room.

~~~

Prime was going to-

He wanted to-

No. Over Catra's dead body would she let anything happen to Glimmer. Not after everything- their kiss, their bonding, their promise.

She waited until a few guards rounded the corner before quickly rushing off to Glimmer's cell, opening the force field door as she grabbed the startled girl by the wrist to run out of the room with her.

"Catra?! What are we-"

"Shut up and follow my lead, queenie." Catra nearly growled.

"Where are we going?" Glimmer asked in a whisper as they paused before turning a corner.

"Out of here." Catra hissed back.

"What?!" Glimmer whisper screamed.

Catra quickly covered her mouth with a hand, glaring at the girl. What part of 'shut up' did she not understand?

"They spotted a ship... A-Adora's on it." Catra paused a moment, swallowing a lump at mentioning her ex best friend. "I saw an emergency abort system a while ago, we just need to get to the escape pods to reach them."

Glimmer nodded, taking Catra's hand from her mouth to hold between her own. "Okay." She mouthed.

Catra nodded back, peeking around the corner before squeezing Glimmer's hand and making a break for it.

Her claws did most of the heavy lifting to protect them, but they were easily outnumbered by the Prime guards.

She looked at Glimmer with a look of fear and panic, Glimmer's heart sinking at the sight as she shook her head.

Catra kissed her lips quickly before shoving her into a pod.

"Catra? Catra!" Glimmer yelled, trying to open it to no avail.

"Hey, uh- Not the best time to say this but... I love-"

Glimmer never got to hear the rest of her words, the pod shooting away too fast. She watched helpessly as Prime's ship got smaller and smaller, frozen in shock as tears silently streamed down her face.

She was found by her friends- who initially thought she was a clone trying to lure them in- and ushered inside out of the cold void of space.

"Catra... Saved you?" Adora sounded confused, like she didn't believe her.

Glimmer nodded, her emotions having caught up with her as she heaved sobs into Bow's chest.

Bow and Adora shared a look before the blonde stood.

"Okay. Let's save Catra." She said simply, taking a deep breath.

"W-What?" Glimmer sniffed, turning to look at her as Bow kept patting her back gently.

"Catra may have made a lot of mistakes... But she's still my best friend. I don't want her in there any more than you do." Adora said with a sad smile.

Glimmer smiled weakly in appriciation, stumbling out of Bow's arms to hug her other friend close.

"Thank you, Adora." She whispered between shaky hiccups.

Adora nodded, hugging back tightly. "Don't thank me yet. We still have to get her out of there..." She chuckled anxiously.

~~~

They did it.

They brought Catra back.

Only-

"What's wrong with her?!" Glimmer shrieked as Adora reentered the ship with Catra slung over her shoulder, eyes wide in fear and full of tears.

Catra and Adora both looked a mess- Adora with large claw marks down her back and cheek, and Catra with not only a new haircut, but dried blood crusted to the base of her spine and completely unconscious.

"She-" Adora coughed, dropping down to one knee on wobbly legs. "Prime put a chip in her... He was- He controlled her. Made her.. A-Attack." She said with wheezing breaths.

Glimmer whimpered and dropped to her knees in front of the blonde, holding out her arms to take Catra off her hands. Bow rushed over to help Adora to her feet, moving her to a chair to sit down.

"Guys- Guys! She isn't breathing!" Glimmer shouted, her arms trembling as she held the girl she had grown to love.

Adora looked over, her face as pale as a ghost as she stared directly at Catra with an unmoving face. A glow began coating the girl as she stood as if she had never been injured, kneeling beside Glimmer before reaching out to rest a hand on Catra's cheek.

A bright flash blinded the queen from seeing exactly what happened next, but it was safe to say She-Ra was back.

A few moments after the flash died down, Adora's eyes fluttered as the pain from her no longer bleeding wounds came crashing back to her body and she groaned. Just as she leaned over to rest against Glimmer, Catra gasped to life- looking around frantically in fear.

"Adora!" She shrieked before setting eyes on the blonde, then Glimmer. "G-Glimmer?! What happened, where am I?" She asked in a quick and panicked tone.

It took a bit of effort to calm Catra enough to explain what had happened- as much as they could, anyway. Though it seemed like whatever gaps their story had, Catra could fill in for herself.

They set up a room for Catra to rest, about to offer Glimmer a room when the girl silently trudged into Catra's room and plopped onto the bed with her.

"Shouldn't we get the chip out of-"

"Not now, Adora. Let them rest. You all need it."

Bow and Adora smiled softly at the two before walking away, leaving them alone to their own devices.

After sleeping for what felt like ten years in the span of a few hours, the girls yawned awake to smile softly at each other.

"I uh... I kept my promise." Catra said timidly.

"I know. Just don't do that again, you idiot." Glimmer sighed, burying her face in the girl's chest as Catra squeezed her nice and tight.

Catra nodded, nuzzling her nose against Glimmer's hair as she breathed deeply to calm herself.

"And Catra?" Glimmer added, voice muffled and difficult to hear- even for Catra.

"Y-Yeah?" Catra wondered.

"When we get home..."

"Yes?"

"Never leave me."

"H-Huh?" Catra tensed, wondering if she'd heard right.

Glimmer peeked her head out to look up at her, kissing Catra sweetly. "If you ever leave my side again, I'll never forgive you." Shs reiterated.

Catra blushed but nodded, earning a smile from the girl- each happy to know they'd never be alone again.

Series this work belongs to: