Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Stats:
Published:
2015-02-10
Updated:
2016-02-11
Words:
18,474
Chapters:
10/?
Comments:
48
Kudos:
110
Bookmarks:
15
Hits:
2,804

Handful of Hope

Summary:

Derek and Spencer are happily married, when they make a big decision. The decision to adopt a child. This is the story of their journey to make their family complete.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Summary:

Derek and Spencer begin the process of adoption.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Derek and Spencer stood in their backyard, watching as their team hung out. Some were lounging in chairs and drinking a beer, some were in the pool and splashing each other.

Derek looked over at Spencer who was talking to JJ and smiled. They had invited the team over, saying that there was something they wanted to share. They all agreed after being assured that it was good news.

Watching as Hotch chased after Jack, and Will play with Henry in the pool, Derek knew that they'd made the right decision. He walked over to Spence and JJ and wrapped his arm around Spencer's waist.

Spencer turned to Derek and smiled. "Hey."

"Hey. I think it's about time."

Spencer nodded, thinking about the news that they were about to share. It was an important decision, and he knew that he and Derek would feel better doing this with the support of their team. Over the years, their team had become like a family. There was no way they could do this without them.

"Okay, everybody. Gather 'round." The team plus Will and the children came over to where Spencer ans Derek were. 

Derek took a deep breath and said, "As you all know, Spencer and I have been married for just over a year now, and we've never been happier. So we've been talking lately and we've made a decision." He looked to Spencer, giving him the floor.

"Derek and I have decided that we're going to adopt a child."

There was stunned kind of silence until Garcia shouted, "Oh My God! Congratulations!"

She rushed over to hug them, which started everybody patting their backs and congratulating them. 

"Have you been looking at children?" Hotch asked.

Spencer shook his head. "Not yet. Tomorrow, we're meeting with a woman from the adoption agency. She'll visit our home to make sure it's a good environment for a child, then if we pass that test, then we can start looking for a child."

Derek spoke up. "We're meeting her for lunch tomorrow before bringing her back here. We were hoping that maybe you and JJ could meet us here tomorrow and be our references. We thought you two would be the best choices since you guys have kids."

Hotch and JJ both nodded their heads. "Definitely," JJ said. Hotch agreed. 

Derek and Spencer smiled in relief. If tomorrow went well, then hopefully this could actually happen.

Spencer and Derek sat in a booth at the local diner, waiting for Ms. Nelson, the woman from the adoption agency. 

Spencer's leg was bouncing from nerves. Derek laid his hand on Spence's knee. "Hey, calm down. Everything will work out, okay?"

Spencer took a deep breath and nodded, leaning over to press a quick kiss to Derek's lips. "Alright."

"Are you two Derek and Spencer?" a voice asked.

They looked up and a woman was standing next to their table. She looked to be in her late thirties maybe.

Spencer, who sitting on the outside, stood up and help out his hand. "Yes. I'm Spencer."

She smiled. "Hello. My name is Clara Nelson from the Handful Of Hope Adoption Agency. I'm assuming you're Derek?"

Derek stood and shook her hand as well. "Yes, hello. Thank you for meeting with us."

"Not a problem."

A waitress came over and took our orders.

"So, how long have you two been thinking about adopting?"

"Four months, two weeks, six days, and sixteen hours," Spencer answered.

She raised her eyebrows at him while Derek just grinned. "Alright, well have you two spent a lot of time around children?"

Derek nodded. "Yeah. A few of our friends have kids, and when my family comes to visit we spend a lot of time with my neice and nephew."

"Good, so you know that raising a child is a lot of work."

We both nodded. "What about references?"

"Aaron Hotchner and Jennifer Jureau, our friends who have children, are our references. Would it be okay if they met us at the house? That way you could get a better understanding of who we are from them."

She nodded. "I think that's a good idea."

As they ate, wlthey answered questions and told her about themselves. When the men were finished, she followed them to their house.

Hotch and JJ were already waiting outside. After introductions, everybody headed into the living room. 

Once they all got comfortable, Ms. Nelson turned to Hotch and JJ. "So how long have you two known Derek and Spencer?"

Hotch said, "I've known Spencer and Derek for seven or eight years, since we all started working together."

Ms. Nelson looked at JJ. "And you?"

Smiling politely, JJ said, "I met Derek and Spencer when I became the media liaison for our team. It's been about six and a half years I would say."

Ms. Nelson nodded and started writing on a little note pad that she had pulled out of her purse. "Okay. What is the relationship between the members of your team?"

JJ answered. "We're like a family. Spencer is the godfather of my son, Henry. We're all like brothers and sisters."

"And how do Derek and Spencer interact with your guys' kids?"

"They're great. My son loves staying the night here. They get along perfectly," Aaron said.

Ms. Nelson smiled. "That's good." She asked Aaron and JJ more questions. When she was satisfied with that, she turned to Spencer and Derek. "I think now would he a good time to take a tour of the house."

Spencer nodded and turned toward their friends. "Were you guys heading home, or did you want to hang out here for a while?"

"I think we're gonna head home. Thanks though."

They all exchanged goodbyes and just before they left, JJ said, "Pen said that she'd call later."

When it was just the three of them, they showed her around.

First, they went around the first floor. There wasn't much, as the bedrooms were upstairs. That's where they headed next. The first bedroom they entered was theirs.

After that was the bedroom next to theirs, which would be the child's room should they pass the examination. She seemed to like that they would put the child in the room closest to their bedroom. The other room was a guest bedroom that was empty except for furniture.

When they finished the tour, they all went back down to the living room.

She wrote a few things down in her notepad and the two men waited nervously.

She finally looked at them. "As far as I'm concerned, this is a great place for a child to grow up. From what I heard from your friends, you guys have a good support system. Friends and family you can count on."

Derek raised an eyebrow. "Does that mean...?"

She smiled and nodded. "Yes. You guys can procede with the adoption. I have seen nothing in this house that could he hazardous to a child. I think you guys would be a great fit."

Derek and Spencer smiled in relief. They pulled each other into a tight hug. When they pulled apart, Ms. Nelson dismissed herself and after goodbyes, she left.

Derek looked at Spencer. "We did it Pretty Boy."

"We did."

They spent their afternoon thinking about how their lives were about to change, and they couldn't be happier.

Hours later, Derek's phone rang. He answered, "Hey, Baby Girl."

"Hey Sweetcheeks. How'd it go?"

Derek grinned. "It went good. It went really good."

"Does that mean that you and Junior G-man are having a baby?"

Derek laughed, as did Spencer who could hear Penelope. "If by that you mean that we can continue with the adoption, then yes."

"Yes! Oh my god, that's going to be adorable. And now I have another person to spoil."

"Try not to go too overboard."

"No promises. So when do you get to decide on the kid?" she asked.

"Tomorrow after work, Spencer and I are going to the adoption agency and pick up some files of kids. Then we narrow that down to two or three, then we can meet those kids."

"Alright, well good luck. I have to go. Us girls are having a girls' night."

"Okay, have fun Baby Girl."

"You know it Baby Boy."

Derek hung up the phone and slid it into his pocket. It wasn't very late, but it had been a busy day and he was tired. Looking at his husband, he saw Spencer rubbing his eyes, trying to hold back a yawn.

Derek reached over and ran his fingers through Spencer's hair.

Spencer groaned and leaned into Derek's hand. He loved that. It was so relaxing. "Ready for bed honey?" Derek asked him.

Spencer nodded. "Yeah."

Together they headed up to their bedroom. Spencer shut the door behind him and took off his shirt. He slid off his jeans and pulled on his plaid pajama bottoms.

Derek stripped down to his boxers and got into bed. Spencer followed and pulled the comforter over them. They scooted together until they were comfortable.

"Goodnight," Spencer said.

"Night," relied Derek. Within minutes they were both asleep.

Notes:

I actually started this story a while ago, but I forgot about it. I decided to rewrite it, so let me know if you think I should continue with this.