Actions

Work Header

Taking Chances

Summary:

Weisz, Jinn and Homura, three total outcasts, have been friends since they were in middle school. Their group of friends grew quite a lot after they met Rebecca, Laguna and Shiki, making them inseparable.

But a decision Homura makes after graduation breaks the group and Weisz's heart.
Now eight years have passed and they are all hired to work for their former teacher Witch Regret at the Edens Zero Acadamy.

Memories and old feelings will bring this group back together, Resentment, power and jealousy might drive them apart. Things are no longer the way they use to be beofre graduation and life as adults is not as simple either. But it sure is a fun ride.

Join me and my favorite Edens Zero Caharcters as they live this slightly different adventure. No super powers, or ether gears just slice of life and our heros going through their mid 20s.

Warning: Some Characters might be out of character. And I'm not a native English speaker, so mistakes might be made.

Chapter 1: Prologue

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The  warm light of the sunset covered like a blanket, the sky of the little town of Bluegarden. Located in the south east of Maine, Bluegarden was a small beautiful  city. It was surrounded by forests and hills and tourists called it "the valley of flowers''. Everyone was already getting back home, finishing their jobs for the day and going back to their families.

 

Everyone but a group of teens, who were gathered around a bonfire, drinking and laughing as the dim light of the fire lit up their faces. 

 

"Oh man I'm gonna miss this trash hideout" a boy with green hair said as he drank from his beer. 

 

"Hey, don't call it trash, it took me like 5 days to find it," a blond boy who was sitting to his left said. 

 

"Yeah that's on me for letting Weisz of all people find a secret base for us to hangout, it would have taken you 3 years if it wasn't for Homura" a very tall young man with blue hair said as he took A sip from his own cup of alcohol. 

 

The purple-haired girl who was sitting next to Weisz just giggled at her friend's statement, noticing how the blond's ears turned red. 

 

"There, I swear, Weisz did all the work," Homura said as she tapped her best friend's back. 

 

"I bet" the blue haired man said sarcastically. 

 

"Shut up Laguna!" Weisz was completely red now, he always got frustrated when his friends teased him about his lack of survival skill. 

 

Weisz loved computers, and science. He was the kind of kid, ever since he was little who didn't socialize much. That was until he met Homura and Jinn in middle school. 

 

They were just like him and soon became super closed. He looked at them both sitting next to him laughing at something Laguna said. Jinn, the green haired boy, was now trying to get his beer back from Laguna who kept saying he was still underage to drink. 

 

Laguna was a year older than them, they met him when they started highschool, he had lost a year, because his parents worked around the world in a travelling circus. 

 

Weisz remembered how intrigued everyone was about Laguna when he joined their class. He was so chill and cool and he had been all over the world. Of course neither Weisz nor Jinn and Homura bothered him with annoying circus questions and in the end Weisz guessed that was why he joined their group. 

 

He heard Homura's sweet giggles next to him and his gaze moved further to his left to look at her. Weisz let out a small puff of air, as he admired how beautiful she was. 

 

Her purple hair outlined her perfect features and her long eyelashes danced with the flickering of the fire. Making her brown reddish eyes sparkle with joy as she laughed. 

 

Weisz noticed her hand was laying right next to his and he had to fight the blush going up his face. 

 

When he met Homura he remembered thinking she was the most beautiful girl in his class. He was young so he just associated it with them being friends and she being the only girl who was nice to him. 

 

But as they got older and after they started highschool he started to notice her a lot more, not only as a friend but as the girl she was turning into. Everything about Homura was beautiful to Weisz, her face, her body, her voice. But the kindness in which she treated others and how sweet she was with everyone, made his heart skip a beat. 

 

He had it bad for her, really bad, but the only one he had told about it was Jinn. So she wasn't aware of how much Weisz liked her, and he always thought it would be better that way, they were best friends after all. 

 

"I can't leave you alone for 3 seconds and you are already making a mess" the voice of a young woman distracted them all. And they looked in the direction of the trees.

 

A beautiful girl with ash blonde hair and blue eyes stepped out of the bushes covering the entrance of their "hideout"  followed by a boy with messy black hair. She stopped for a second while the boy reached the spot next to her and held out her hand for him to take and kept walking towards the group sitting by the fire. 

 

"Seriously Laguna, why are you giving Jinn alcohol, you know he can't take it" 

 

"HEY!  I- that's not true" the green hair boy said, his cheeks completely red. He took the beer back and took another sip "quit making me look weak Rebecca" 

 

Rebecca giggle and sat next to him the dark haired boy sat behind her holding her close to his chest 

 

"I'm only looking out for you Jinn," she said and gave him a sweet smile, which made the boy's face get even more red. 

 

"Tch, whatever" he scoffed, looking away from the girl to hide his face. 

 

"That's my Ducky, always looking after everyone else" the dark hair boy said giving Rebecca a sweet kiss on the lips 

 

Weisz looked at Jinn, whose eyes had diverted away from their friends' explicit show of affection. One will think they were used to it by now, after all Rebecca and Shiki had been going out for 3 years now, but Weisz knew that was not the case. 

 

Jinn gave them a smile that Weisz knew was not sincere. 

 

"Yeah… thanks I guess" Jinn's voice was soft and even though he was smiling Weisz could tell he was feeling uncomfortable. 

 

"Uhm.. Jinn! Help me out with the snacks I got, would you?" Weisz stood up and dust off his pants. "I left them in my car" 

 

The green haired boy looked confused but instinctively stood up and followed him. Weisz didn't have to hear Jinn say what he was feeling, he knew him well enough to know when he needed saving. 

 

Once they were far enough from the group to hear them, the blonde patted his best friend on the shoulder. 

 

"You okay?" Weisz said, giving him a sad smile. 

 

Jinn just rolled his eyes and smiled back at him. 

 

"Yeah, thanks for that" the green-haired boy looked back to where everyone was gathered around the fire. Rebecca was now laughing at something Laguna had said, still laying her back on her boyfriend's chest.  Jinn felt an incredible pain in his heart every time he looked at her interacting with Shiki. But when he saw her laugh like that…

 

He just couldn’t help but smile. 

 

"Are you ever going to tell her?" Weisz's voice brought him back to reality and Jinn shook his head as he looked back at his friend. 

 

"What? No way, why would I do that?" Weisz's car wasn't very far; they could still hear everyone laughing. 

 

"Well, why wouldn't you?  How long has it been? more than 3 years?" Weisz rested his body on the side of his car and crossed his arms over his chest. 

 

"Yeah so?" Jinn sighed already knowing where this was going.  "Look, it's better this way… Shiki is my friend after all,  I-" he lowered his head and Weisz could see the sadness in his eyes. "I'll get over it eventually…" 

 

"You said the same thing 3 years ago and yet…" Weisz cared about all his friends, but Jinn was the closest he had to a brother. Ever since they met they had been inseparable, they protected each other and were there for each other in a way they have never been with Shiki or Laguna. 

 

Weisz was there when Jinn told him about his crush on his neighbor's daughter. 

 

Rebecca went to a different middle school than them, but she lived next to Weisz's house and around the time he started hanging out with Homura and Jinn, Rebecca's father got a new job and required him and his wife to travel a lot.

 

She never went outside to play much, and seemed like a loner, but her grandma who was looking after her during those times, was friend's with Weisz grandfather and he asked them if they could let Rebecca play with them. 

 

Weisz wasn't really sure exactly when his best friend fell for her, but it was a long time ago.  The four of them, even though they were in different middle schools, had a lot of fun together. Weisz  slowly noticed how Jinn was always looking out for her and kept teasing him about it. When they found out they were all going to the same highschool, Jinn decided he was finally going to tell her. 

 

But she met Shiki.  Shiki was new in town, the stepson of one of the richest people that have ever set foot in Bluegarden. And one of Rebecca's father's old friends. Instantly they became friends with him, it wasn’t hard, since Shiki was super outgoing and fun to be around. 

 

Rebecca and Shiki seemed to be getting closer and closer, everyone noticed that they spent a lot of time out of school together going to events with their parents and being together. It was only natural what came after. One day they came to school together holding hands, acting like a sweet cute couple, they told everyone they were dating and that was it for Jinn. 

 

Weisz still remembered how shocked he was. They talked about it one day, but he never said much, he just kept smiling and being friendly with them, like nothing had changed.  But Weisz knew him better than anyone and he knew Jinn's heart was broken.

 

Jinn smiled and was always there for everyone because that's how he had always been. But the truth was that Jinn suffered in silence for something he will never get. 

 

"Weisz dropped it already, I'm fine" the green haired boy put a hand on Weisz shoulder and the blond let out the air he was holding while remembering all that. 

 

"You don't have to lie to me you know?" Weisz turned and let his back rest on the side of the car as he looked up to the sky.

 

"Hey, I'm not lying"  Jinn smirked and hit his arm "Listen, I know you worry about me, but I'm OK" he narrowed his eyes and playfully elbowed Weisz on his ribs "you know who should be the one talking to certain someone? YOU" 

 

Weisz, who was relaxed watching the stars above him, jumped and looked at the green haired boy with his eyes wide in surprise. 

 

"What?! Why are you elbowing me?" Weisz could feel his face burning up slowly, he caught the indirect but  he was an expert in playing dumb. 

 

"Oh you know…" Jinn's smirk got brighter and the mischievous glimmer in his eyes made the blonde even more anxious. "When are you planning to tell Homura how you feel?" 

 

"W-what?! N-no no way I'm doing that!" Now Weisz was sure he was completely red.

 

"Why not?" Jinn asked nonchalantly as he put both his hands on his pockets "you were pretty determined to tell her 3 nights ago" 

 

"I was DRUNK"  Weisz run a hand through his hair in frustration  "I  wasn't thinking clearly" 

 

"If you ask me I think it is a pretty good idea, right before graduation, a love confession she will never be able to resist, best friends become lovers, it's just too beautiful" Jinn's eyes shone with expectation. 

 

"You watch too many movies, you know that?"  Weisz rolled his eyes, "Stop trying to make everything a motion picture Jinn!" 

 

"I'm sorry I can't help it" the green haired boy chuckled and then he got serious "but I mean it Weisz… don't- don't be like me"  his eyes were lost looking somewhere between his feet and Weisz felt his stomach twist with guilt "Don't wait too long, that's what I did and…if you wait too long, someone else will just..." 

 

Weisz gulped, feeling the weight of his best friend's words like heavy blocks of ice hitting him directly. Could that really happen to him too?  It never crossed his mind, the fact that someone else could take Homura away, he had automatically assumed their friendship meant more to her than anything else. 

 

"T-that's not… that's not gonna happen, we are friends and—" 

 

"Weisz, don't be silly" Jinn said looking at him. "Have you seen Homura? She is gorgeous" 

 

"Of course I've seen her, I know she is beautiful" the blond could feel his face heating up with every word he said "what does that have to do with me telling her how I feel?" 

 

Jinn shook his head

 

"Man, two minutes ago you were telling me to talk to Rebecca…" 

 

"It's not the same!" Weisz's heart was beating at a pace he felt like it was going to burst out. The mere idea of talking about his feelings to Homura made his heart go nuts, he just couldn't do it. 

 

"Yes it is!"

 

"No, it's not!" Weisz looked down  "I- I don't wanna lose her friendship, there is no way she would ever like me back, not like that at least" 

 

"Weisz you will never know if you don't try…" Jinn gave him a reassuring smile "at least  you won't have to keep those feelings bottled up anymore" the green haired boy frowned  "do you really want to see her going out with another man?" 

 

"Of course NOT!" The image of Homura being with someone who wasn't him made him mad and extremely jealous. 

 

"Then just tell her, be sincere nothing can go wrong if you are honest with yourself" 

 

"Ugh, I hate you so much" Weisz grunted, Jinn knew him well too. He knew Weisz had a crush on Homura right away. Sometimes Weisz didn't know if his friendship with Jinn was a blessing or a curse. 

 

"Ask her to the dance, tell her you want to be with her, if she rejects you well then you figure it out, look at the bright side we are all going to college in a few months" 

 

Weisz narrowed his eyes and hit his friend on the back of his head.

 

"We are going to the same college dumbass" 

 

"Ouch!  Yeah so?  Colleges are big, plus you still have me" Jinn said, rubbing the place where Weisz hit him. 

 

Weisz sighted, looking back at the sky. It really was a beautiful night. Maybe Jinn wasn't wrong, maybe he should try. There was a part of him  that felt Homura might feel the same,  he had caught her staring at him and blushing a few times. But another part of him just couldn't believe someone like her would be interested in someone like him.  And the fear of getting rejected by his best friend and losing something precious to him was just too much to handle. 

 

"You make it sound so easy Jinn… but it's not, I don't know if I'm willing to lose her friendship over a crush" 

 

"Is it? Just a crush?" Jinn questioned him.

 

Weisz didn't answer, he knew it wasn't, he knew his feelings for Homura were deeper, but he didn't want to go there.  He didn't want to accept that he was crazy in love with her. It would ruin their friendship forever. 

 

"It doesn't matter Jinn… I don’t think I can do it" 

 

"You hate yourself don't you? Don't be silly, you are a great guy, believe a little more in yourself" 

 

"Look who's talking" Weisz was determined to drop the subject 

 

"Stop trying to divert the conversation, I hate when you do that" Jinn sighed and shook his head 

 

"You do the exact same thing Rutherford"  

 

"I do not!" 

 

"You do" 

 

"Uhm… do you guys need help?" 

 

Both Weisz and Jinn froze and turned to look over where the sweet voice came from. 

 

Jinn giggled when he saw Homura looking at them with curiosity. And Weisz's ears turned bright red, he was paralized with embarrassment. What if she heard what they were talking about?

 

"Uhm… w-we.. I m-mean…" Weisz stuttered 

 

Homura gave them both a mischievous smile and walked towards them.

 

"What are you up to? You are both acting strange" 

 

"Nothing, we were just talking, you know?" Jinn winked at Weisz whose ears got redder "about graduation and all" 

 

"Oh that's cute" she giggled and looked around searching for something. "You said you were getting snacks right?" Her eyes went down to look at both boys' hands which were empty and she rolled her eyes. 

 

"Uhm, yeah, we just lost track of time—" Weisz started saying but Jinn cut him up.

 

"Actually, yes! Would you mind helping him out, Homura? I forgot I gotta do something"  Jinn walked away from Weisz's car and grinned at the blond who was clearly starting to panic. 

 

"WHAT ARE YOU SAYING?"  He didn't intend to sound so loud but he was extremely anxious for some reason. "Y-you don't have to really, I think I can handle it" Weisz was trying not to look her in the eyes. 

 

"Don't be silly man, you have only 2 hands" Jinn wiggled his eyebrows at him and Weisz sent him a deadly look. The green-haired boy snickered and waved at him. "Don't get distracted tho, I'm starving" he added and left. 

 

Weisz cursed him, he couldn’t believe him. Did Jinn really think Weisz could actually manage to tell Homura how he felt? It was impossible, everytime he thought about it his hands started sweating and he could never think straight. 

 

Homura was looking at him completely clueless and when his eyes met hers, she just smiled sweetly. 

 

"I really don't mind" she walked towards him and looked inside the car "where are they?" She pressed both hands on the passenger's window to look inside the car, brushing Weisz arm in the process. 

 

He jumped to the side escaping her soft touch, completely aware that he was a mess at that moment. This could end up being incredibly embarrassing. 

 

"Uhm, yeah no. They are in the trunk" Weisz voice was shaky.  He wouldn't usually be this nervous around her, he was used to playing dumb and hiding his feelings but the previous conversation with Jinn got him edgy. 

 

He tried to open the trunk but his keys fell down to the ground 'For the love of God, keep it together idiot" He said to himself as he kneeled down to grab the keys. 

 

His eyes widened in surprise when instead of the keys he found Homura's hand. 

 

"Here, I'll do it, your hands are trembling" her eyes were shining brighter than ever and he could see a slight pinkish color on her cheeks. She had the key in her hand and Weisz wasn't able to move his hand from hers. 

 

He was stunned by her beauty. She looked extremely beautiful tonight. It wasn't helping that the moonlight shone above her purple hair and face, making her skin look like porcelain. Her hand was a bit cold so he instinctively rubbed it to warm her up. 

 

The sensation gave him goosebumps the good kind and he forgot why he was so nervous to begin with. Homura has been his friend since they were young, she has been there for him when his mother got sick, she was always caring and looking out for him and so did he. They had gone through so much together. 

 

Homura opened her mouth to say something, but closed it again. The way Weisz was looking at her made her heart beat so fast she really thought it was going to burst out. 'His hands are always so warm' she thought and could feel her cheeks burning up at the thought of all the times Weisz had held her hand. 

 

The knot she had been feeling in her stomach for the past 2 weeks, everytime she thought about him, got even bigger when she looked into his eyes.  A sudden need to cry overwhelmed her and as fast as she could she brushed it away. 

 

He had stopped trembling and he slowly took the key away from her as they both stood up. 

 

"I can do it, don't worry," Weisz said softly and gave her the softest smile she had ever seen coming from him. 

 

Something was different about Weisz tonight. But she couldn't tell what it was. 

 

"That was nice of you Weisz" Homura said without thinking while he was opening the trunk. 

 

Weisz turned to look at her puzzled, not really getting what she meant. 

 

"What was?" He asked 

 

"What you did for Jinn" Homura giggled at the expression of panic Weisz had on his face. "Come on! You really think I didn't know he likes her?  We spent all those years together and you think I wouldn't notice?" 

 

Homura shook her head and brushed away some hair from her bangs that were covering her eyes. 

 

"Well…" Weisz again got caught up staring at her. He really needed to do something with himself or she was going to end up thinking he had gone crazy. "Not really no, it's just, we barely talk about it you know? It's a sensitive topic" Weisz scoffed and rolled his eyes "even if he says it's not" 

 

"Is there any heart related topic that it isn't?" Homura said, looking up at the sky.  She had turned around and her back was laying on the car.  

 

She had her eyes closed and  the soft breeze caressed her hair making her look even more stunning than what she already was. 

 

Weisz held his breath, Jinn was right. Homura was beyond beautiful, she was breathtaking and the more she grew up the more gorgeous she looked. It wasn't just a crush, no, she meant the world to him. He loved her and  he should stop being such a coward and for once in his life act on it. 

 

"Homura?" 

 

The purple haired girl turned to look at him and the determination she saw in his eyes gave her goosebumps. 

 

"Yeah?" She was suddenly nervous, why? What was it about tonight that she just felt so edgy around him?  

 

Homura didn't want to admit it, but she knew why she was feeling so uneasy. She was sad and happy and all she wanted to do was spend time with her friends. But most importantly she wanted to spend time with him. 

 

She had made a decision when she got that letter two weeks ago and she was going to stick to it.  She knew tonight was going to be the last time she got to spend time with her friends, with Weisz and being alone with him right now was just making her feel many things at once. 

 

Weisz was looking everywhere but her. His brain was screaming at him to say something before he ended up looking like a total idiot. But his voice wasn't coming out. 

 

He didn't think this through, he should have planned what to say beforehand, now he was completely blank, just staring at her while she waited for him to say something. 

 

"I-I… ehm, well…you know?" What the hell was wrong with him? He really had no clue how to do this. He had absolutely zero experience in love confessions, and unlike Jinn he didn't watch romantic comedies 24/7. ' I'm so not ready for this, I can't do it' 

 

Weisz's hands started to sweat, she was gonna run away from him, he was just a pathetic computer lover loser that couldn't muster up the courage to ask the girl he liked out. 

 

"Weisz? Are you ok?" Homura was starting to get worried. She forgot about her own thoughts when she noticed he was struggling with something. "Do you feel sick?" 

 

Weisz groaned, 'just ask her out, ask her out, what did Jin say? Oh yes! The DANCE'  his inner thoughts screamed at him and the courage he thought he had lost, took over him again. That was it, that's what he needed to do. 

 

"Uhm… yeah yeah I'm fine, sorry about that, I'm just…" he scratched the back of his head and ventured his eyes towards the purple-haired girl. "I just wanted to ask you something and got well a little bit nervous" 

 

"Oh…" unconsciously Homura rested her hand on her chest. Trying to feel the beating of her heart to calm herself down. What could he want to ask her that got him so nervous, did he find out about her plans? And why was he blushing like that? 

 

"I was wondering if you… well…" Weisz took a deep breath, this was it. He had to do it now. Her eyes were locked on him and even though insecurities kept popping on his mind, he knew this was for the best ' just let it out of your chest, do it'

 

Weisz looked at her with determination in his eyes, his face was burning but he was determined to tell her now.

 

"Homura… go to the dance with me" he burst out and mentally hit himself for sounding more like a demand than a question. 

 

"Eh?" Homura tilted her head, she seemed confused.  "Weren't we all supposed to go together?" She asked innocently with a soft giggle.  The knot in her stomach came back, thinking about how she had been lying to everyone about this. 

 

Weisz couldn't help but smile, she could be really absent minded sometimes, and he loved her for that. With the little amount of courage he had left, Weisz took a step closer to her reaching out for her hand.  

 

Homura gasped when he touched her. Weisz looked so mature and sweet, she could feel a rush of adrenaline taking over her body.

 

"I meant just us… you and well… me" he tangled his fingers with hers "together" 

 

"Just you and me?" Homura's voice was almost like a whisper. But Weisz was close enough to hear her. She frowned, still a little bit confused and looked at him "You mean as friends?" 

 

'Whaaaaat? Is she for real?!' Weisz knew she was pretty dense but he was being  straightforward or at least he thought he was. Why was this so hard, she really was going to make him say it? 

 

"No…" he said slowly, his face turning bright red. "Not as friends I…" 

 

Homura's heart never stopped beating fast, it felt like she had been training for hours and the rush of adrenaline wasn't going away. The way Weisz was acting was completely new to her. He had never been this shy around her before and it confused her, but at the same time filled her with warmth. 

 

"I… I… I'm in love with you" Weisz said and sounded much louder than he intended. He had his eyes closed and he didn't dare to open them. He didn't want to look at her, he couldn’t look at her, he felt so embarrassed. 

 

Homura froze. She couldn’t move, or blink or even think straight. For a second she thought she heard him wrong. But Weisz was blushing like crazy so she must have heard right. 

 

"No… H-he can't…"  Homura suddenly felt the knot she had in her stomach tighten, and spread to her throat making it hard for her to speak.  She looked down at their hands, their fingers still tangled together and she had to fight the tears from leaving her eyes. 'This is not happening, not now, not now…"  her mind kept echoing those words over and over again. 

 

"I- " Homura's voice was hoarse and broken, still trying to fight the tears from forming, she let go of his hand. 

 

Weisz opened his eyes when the warmth of her hand disappeared. He met her eyes and what he saw confused the hell out of him. Homura looked like she was about to cry but he couldn't tell if it was from happiness or not. 

 

As fast as he could he looked down at his feet again. Weisz felt so exposed and self-conscious. Why did he have to go and say it like that? ' Please please let her say something I'm about to die'  

 

"I… I can't" Homura whispered, 

 

This time Weisz couldn't hear her clearly, so he raised his head to look at her. She looked sad, and Weisz felt his heart breaking. 

 

"W-what was that? I couldn't hear it" he said slowly, taking a step closer to her.

 

Homura took a deep breath, she didn't want to tell him, but now she had no choice and his confession only made things worse. 

 

"I said I can't go to the dance with you…" this time she said it loud enough for him to understand. "I- I'm sorry Weisz I'm just not going to  the dance" 

 

Weisz frowned, completely confused. Wasn't she listening?  He just told her he loved her, who cares about the dance.

 

"OK, so?  I don’t really care about the dance itself I was just trying to tell you how I—"

 

"I'm leaving" Homura interrupted him before he could keep talking. She couldn't hear him say it again. She just wouldn't be able to hold back the tears if she heard him say it again. 

 

"What do you mean?" Weisz was beyond confused at this point. He was trying to understand how what she was saying had anything to do with his feelings for her. "Leaving where?" 

 

Homura seemed hesitant to answer. She didn't want to. She promised herself she wouldn't tell them. But here she was and now it was too late. She tried to relax and think before saying what she was about to say by taking a deep breath. There was nothing that would change her decision, it was already too late for that, not even his love confession. 

 

"I got into Mildian University," she said, looking Weisz in the eyes as they widened in shock. 

 

Weisz stood there completely lost in thoughts, confused, and surprised. Not really understanding what he was listening to. What was this? Was she for real? Mildian University was half around the world. This made no sense to him at all. 

 

"W-what do you mean you got in?  Y-you applied there?" He asked, still not really grasping what was going on. Homura nodded and Weisz's chest started to hurt. "You did? But why didn't you tell me?" 

 

"Because… I really never thought I'll get in I just thought it would be cool to try" 

 

"Still!  You could have told me, w-when are you leaving? I mean we can still hang out right?" Weisz was so overwhelmed by what she had just said that he put aside the embarrassment of his confession, and let the fear of not seeing her again win over his mind. "We still have summer break and I'm sure everyone will want to-—" 

 

"I'm leaving tomorrow" she said as cold as she could. It was getting harder to look at him in the eyes, the way his face turned dark and somber when she said that, made Homura's heart ache. 

 

"What?" Weisz couldn't even process the amount of emotions running through him, but everything seemed to stop moving. He was paralyzed, he couldn’t hear, or see or even speak. He felt weak, useless and betrayed. Homura was talking, he could see her mouth move but he was not hearing her.  

 

All his fears were reduced to one simple thing. She was leaving them, she was leaving him and he didn't even have the time to actually say goodbye. 

 

"Weisz, please, don't be like this. Are you even listening?" When he didn't say anything else, Homura panicked. 

 

"Why?" Weisz asked lowering his head 

 

"I told you, I just felt it would be nice to apply there, and I wasn't expecting to—" 

 

"Why didn't you say anything earlier!!!? He was way louder than before but he was hurt and mad and he didn't care. 

 

"I… you know I hate goodbyes, it was easier this way"  Homura wanted to look away, she knew she had been selfish and she didn't want to see him so hurt. "I'M SORRY ok? I really wasn't expecting you confessing to me, this wasn't supposed to happen like this" 

 

Something hit straight at Weisz like a lightning. The confession he made only a few minutes ago came back to his mind but instead of being embarrassed by it he felt anger. 

 

'It was because of that, she told me she was leaving because I said I love her. So.. if I hadn't she would have just…'  He couldn't believe her. Why?

 

"And how was it supposed to happen?" Weisz was grinding his teeths "after you had already left without saying goodbye, that's when?" 

 

"I didn't  mean that—" 

 

"Stop lying!! You are not being honest with me, I can see it in your eyes!" Weisz clenched his fit, he was frustrated and hurt. But he tried to calm himself, getting mad right now wouldn't get him anywhere. "Is this your mother's doing?" he said slowly. 

 

Homura tried not to panic, this was the exact reason she had been avoiding telling everyone about her plans, no one would approve of them. She was desperately trying not to disappoint anyone in her life, trying to make things easier for everyone else. 

 

"That's not… Weisz I really want to go there" she said this time not being able to hold back the tears.

 

"Then why will you hide it from us?" 

 

"You don't understand!" 

 

"Then explain it to me!!" Weisz never in all the years he had known Homura, thought he would be in a situation where he had to let her go.  

 

"I already told you, please don't make this more difficult" tears were running down her cheeks, and she instantly dried them with the back of her hand. 

 

They were both silent for a minute, neither of them wanted to say something they would regret later on. It was then when Weisz realized something. She never fully answered his confession. Homura didn't say she didn't like him back, she just told him she was leaving and that was it. 

 

Weisz took a step closer to her, the little amount of hope he had left still shining bright in his heart. Maybe it wasn't all black and white. 

 

"You still haven't answered me" he whispered loud enough for her to hear him. 

 

"I told you, I'm not going I'm leav—" 

 

"I'm not talking about the dance," Weisz interrupted her "I just told you how I feel, I want to know how you feel" Homura held her breath for a second as he stood right in front of her "because if you feel what I'm feeling, I don't give a damn about the distance and colleges, I just wanna be with you" 

 

Homura's eyes widened in surprise, there was no way he meant that. He couldn't be telling her that all those things didn't matter to him, when she knew he had been looking forward to going to college.

 

Homura felt her heart shrink, she could never ask him to leave everything for her, that was too selfish. This whole conversation was something she hoped she would never have to deal with. 

 

She tried to say something but Weisz's sweet look left her speechless. He has never been the type of person who would talk about his emotions, but his eyes… his eyes had always  spoken for him. 

 

Homura wanted to tell him so many things, but she knew she couldn't. She had to go on with her promise and she was going to leave. She knew what was going to happen if she answered him, and she just couldn't. 

 

"Homura?" Weisz was getting extremely anxious, he felt like an idiot. What was he thinking? But it was too late to back off, he had already said it and now he had to deal with it. "Please say some—"

 

"No.." The purple haired girl hid her eyes behind her bangs as she looked down, and her voice was so low that Weisz had a hard time catching what she said.

 

"No… what exactly? you don't wanna talk, or..?" 

 

"No, I do not feel the same way" she raised her head but was still avoiding looking at him directly and she had to hold back the tears that were threatening to burst out the minute she said that. 

 

Weisz didn't say anything, everything around him seemed to have disappeared and turned to dust. He felt a hole in his chest growing and he was back to when he was 7 years old, alone in his dark room, his parents gone, with no friends, no family, he felt he was drowning and there was nothing he could do or say to prevent it.

 

Weisz just looked at her, trying hard to conceal his hurt and disappointment, but not succeeding very well. 

 

When he finally spoke his voice was broken. 

 

"I see…" was all he could say, and he started walking back to where the rest were. He wanted to die of embarrassment, he had never felt so ashamed and heartbroken in his life. 

 

"Weisz…" 

 

"We should go back, you need to tell everyone that you are leaving" 

 

Homura followed him with her eyes. It hurt her seeing him so sad. She really wasn’t thinking when she took his hand to stop him. 

 

"Weisz please…" she didn't want to lose him, not like this. 

 

Weisz looked at her hand  wrapped around his wrist. With a soft movement he got free of her grip. Homura frowned, why was he being so cold? 

 

"It's alright, forget about it" he said and turned around to keep walking. There was no point anymore, she was going to leave anyway. 

 

"Please Weisz, don't tell anyone else" Homura said and Weisz stopped on his feet. 

 

"What?" He asked turning to look at her and check if she was making a bad joke. 

 

Homura walked towards him to stand on his side

 

"I don't want anyone else to know I'm leaving, please just don't tell them" 

 

Weisz couldn't believe her. She really was planning to just leave everyone behind and don't even explain? 

 

"What do you mean?  They have to know, you are their friend, they care about you, you can't just leave" he didn't want to, but he was getting angrier as time passed. He knew it was stupid, but he couldn't help it. 

 

"I will, when I'm already gone. Trust me it is for the best. I hate saying goodbye to people. You know that" Homura sounded desperate, there was something in the way Weisz was looking at her, that just made her even more anxious. 

 

"They deserve to know," he said and kept walking  with Homura trailing after him. 

 

"Weisz… just please don't" she noticed they were almost near the fire "Don't tell them!" 

 

Weisz turned around so fast she bumped into him.

 

"I'm not gonna tell them, you are. I'm not gonna be the bad friend who knew and never told them. Friends are supposed to trust each other" he was being too loud, Weisz noticed that. But he couldn't help it. 

 

He was angry at her for leaving them, he was angry at himself for opening up to her like an idiot, he was ashamed of being rejected and was at his limit. 

 

"I can't do that! Don't be irrational, you are just angry right now" 

 

"I'm not! I'm not being irrational, you are being irrational! You tell them Homura or I will!" 

 

"Hey what's going on?" Weisz heard Jinn's voice from behind him. 

 

The other four heard the commotion and went to check it out. 

 

"Are you two fighting?" It was Rebecca the one who talked her tone was soft but you could sense the hesitation "you two never fight" 

 

"What did you do, Weisz?"  Laguna said and that made the blond even angrier. 

 

"What the hell Laguna, shut up" he looked at Homura again who had both her hands turned into fits and Weisz didn't know if she was about to cry or do something worse. "Homura wants to tell you all something" 

 

"Stop it…" she whispered 

 

"Go ahead, tell them why we are fighting" Weisz didn't want to sound so bitter, but he couldn't help it. Nothing had gone the way he expected tonight and he couldn't stand the situation anymore. It was not fair, she couldn't just leave and act like they were nothing in her life. 

 

"Don't do this…" Homura said her heart was pounding fast, and she felt how her usual calm and soft demeanor started changing to a more aggressive one. 

 

Why couldn't he understand what she was going through? This was not easy for her either, she didn't want to hurt her friends that's why she thought it was for the best. Why couldn't Weisz respect her decisions?! 

 

' He is just mad because you rejected him' a voice in her head said and she brushed it away as fast as she could. 

 

"Don't do what?  Tell the truth?" Weisz pointed at the other four who were looking between Weisz and Homura completely befuddled. "They deserve to know" 

 

"What 's going on?" Jinn said he was clearly worried, and something was telling him things between his two best friends had gone roughly bad. "What truth??" 

 

Jinn's eyes and Weisz's met and the green haired boy saw the pain his best friend was feeling in them. 

 

Weisz cold stare went back to the purple haired girl in front of him.

 

"Homura has something to tell you" he hissed. At this point he was not even trying to conceal how hurt he was. 

 

"You don't wanna do this" Homura's voice was trembling, she was enraged. She had tried to keep it cool, to not show how she was feeling. She thought Weisz of all people would understand her and support her decision. Instead he was pushing her to the edge. 

 

It was understandable, that he felt hurt, it hurt her too. She was doing what she could with what she had. Her mind was going places she didn't really want to go. Her watery eyes were focused on her best friend piercing him with an uncontrollable anger. 

 

"Well then I guess I'll say it then" Weisz said and Homura had enough. 

 

She had been trying to keep her thoughts to herself but the urge to speak up what she was thinking, mixed with how angry she was at him for pushing her like this, for not understanding her, for not trying harder. It was just driving her insane. 

 

"You are just bitter" she spit out, and suddenly, the eyes of all her friends were on her. "You are just doing this because you are mad, typical of you Weisz" 

 

Something in her was telling her to stop, that what she was about to say  was gonna make things worse. But she couldn't stop it now, she just couldn't stop herself. 

 

"I'm mad? And whose fault is that?"

 

"Not mine, I didn't do anything wrong" she couldn't hold the tears anymore. "It is not my fault you can't accept that I'm not in love with you" 

 

There she said it, now stop.

 

Everyone was speechless including Weisz whose mind was trying to process how she had just told everyone that she rejected his love confession

 

Homura knew she had to stop, that she had said enough. But her mouth didn't seem to hear her brain's request and kept talking. 

 

"You know this is exactly why you and I will never be even remotely possible, you are immature and childish…" 

 

"Homura…" she heard Jinn say he was concerned and that only made her even angrier. Of course he was concerned, he always was when it came to Weisz. 

 

"Don't 'Homura' me Jinn. I had enough" she turned again to look at Weisz who still hadn't said anything "You want to make me the bad guy for rejecting you, fine do it." Why was she saying all this? She didn't think like that, did she? "That won't change anything Weisz" she was crying again " that won't change the fact that I don't like you, and I never will" 

 

She heard Shiki whistle, but Homura's eyes were focused on the blonde in front of her. She covered her mouth, realizing she had stepped into a territory she was never going to be able to get out. 

 

She hurt him, she could see it in his face. Even more than before, and a wave of regret invaded her body the minute after she said that. 

 

Weisz clicked his tongue, he had taken some low blows from Homura tonight. All of them hit him right where it hurt. Her rejection, her leaving their country, and now her telling him she will never like him back. 

 

He was numb, his friend's eyes were all on him, probably wanting to see how he reacted to what she had said. Weisz could sense how uncomfortable Shiki was, how uncharacteristically silent Laguna was staying. Rebecca was torn up into holding Homura and  deeply concerned for Weisz and Jinn just stood there. 

 

The blonde  took a look at the girl he had fallen for. She stood there, her hand covering her mouth, and tears threatening to fall down her cheek. 

 

"Wow, it's  nice to know you dislike me that much…" he gave her a hurt smile. 

 

Homura couldn't hold it anymore, the looks of disappointment on Weisz face broke her more than what she thought it would.  She wanted to take it back, she didn't mean to say all that, she didn't dislike him at all. 

 

'Take it back, I take it back, you are not all those things I said, I take it back' her inner thoughts were a mess. 

 

"Weisz, I didn't —" 

 

"Homura is leaving tomorrow" Weisz voice was calmed "she is going to study abroad, maybe you should all wish her good luck" 

 

He gave a last cold look to the purple haired girl and started walking back to his car. 

 

Jinn didn't have much time to process what the hell was going on. But his instinct told him enough to grasp the main issue of this situation.  He didn't hesitate much, he walked next to Homura  and put a hand on her shoulder

 

"Listen, I gotta go after him. But I'll call you later, and you better pick up Homura. We gotta talk about this before you go" 

 

Homura didn't say anything, she just nodded and watched him run after his friend. 

 

"Homura? Are you ok?" Rebecca walked towards her "what did Weisz mean?  Where are you going?" 

 

Homura dried her tears  and  slowly told Laguna, Rebecca and Shiki about her change of college. 

 

Shiki gave her a thumbs up and wished her good luck. Homura wasn't surprised, she and Shiki weren't really that close, but he has always been cheerful and positive. Nothing seemed to ever bother the guy. 

 

Rebecca on the contrary looked really sad. She has grown to love Homura like a sister during all those years. And even if she knew this was something good for her friend, Rebecca couldn't help feeling disappointed.

 

"Mura, I really wish you the best…  I only wished…" her blue eyes stuck watching the ground "I just wished you would have told me sooner, so we could do more things together"  the ash blonde hugged her and Homura knew she was crying. 

 

"Rebecca…" 

 

"I'm gonna miss you, I know we can still talk but it's not gonna be the same" 

 

"I'm sorry…"

 

"I guess I can understand, if that's what you want, I'll always support you" 

 

Homura smiled at her, still with tears in her eyes. Shiki's phone rang and he moved away to talk. 

 

"Thanks Becky" Homura was glad Rebecca didn't get mad. Still she knew the ash blond girl was disappointed in her, for not coming clean earlier. 

 

Homura tried not to think about it. They wouldn't understand anyway. 

 

"Okay, babe? We gotta go" Shiki said, hanging up the phone and taking Rebecca's hand. "Don't be a stranger, Homura" the black haired boy said with a wink. 

 

"What he said" Rebecca gave her a sad smile as she walked away with her boyfriend. 

 

"So… Mildian eh?" Laguna had his hands on his pockets as he lay back in one of the trees "Way to go, they say it is one of the most prestigious universities in Europe, quite strict and demanding too. You are going to love it there" 

 

"Yeah…" Homura sighed. She should be happy about her future. She was going to study in one of the best universities in the world, and yet she felt a hole in her chest. 

 

"He will come around eventually… you know Weisz, he always burst out for stupid things and then he is apologizing like a little boy" 

 

Laguna tapped her back and gave her one of his charming smiles. But Homura knew that what he was saying was only to cheer her up. Yes, she knew Weisz, and there was no way he was going to get over it. 

 

"No, he won't. But thank you for trying to cheer me up" 

 

Laguna chuckled. 

 

"I had to try, come on, I'll drive you home" the blue hair boy said and offer her his arm "I'll give you some tips for your travels I have a few friends over there too" 

 

Homura smiled, genuinely this time. 

 

"Thank you Laguna '' she grabbed his arm and walked out of their hideout. 

 

Homura took one more look behind her. All the memories made in that place flashed through her mind. The laughs, their adventures. It hurt leaving this place, it hurt leaving her friends, but all she could do was look forward to her future, she knew it was for the best.  Even if it cost her a lot more than what she expected. 

Notes:

This first part was meant to put them all in setting. What happened right after graduation and how they were feeling at the time. From chapter one on it will be after 7 years had passed.

I really hope you enjoy reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it.

You can leave any questions in the comments and I would love to hear your thoughts. Think about this fanfiction as a mixed of Gossip Girl, The OC and Friends. At least thats what I'm aiming to.

Some of the character are complete Out of characters, but it is intentional. I gave each of them differnet personalities to fit my story. You are welcome to stop reading if you don't enjoy it.

Again thank you for reading me