Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Characters:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 1 of Darius
Stats:
Published:
2021-06-05
Words:
438
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
2
Kudos:
9
Hits:
94

Sanctity

Summary:

Sometimes being a priest is harder than other times.

Work Text:

Darius smiled gently at the other man. “Good evening, Inspector LeBrun. I was just preparing a pot of tea when you knocked. Can I offer you a cup?”

Shaking his head, LeBrun took a moment to survey his surroundings. He had been in Darius’ office before and little had changed, but old habits were hard to break. “I am here on business, and have no time for such things.” There was a pause as he considered the priest. “You have heard about the rash of burglaries in the area?”

His expression sobering a bit, Darius nodded his head.

LeBrun was hardly surprised. The man seemed to know almost everything that happened in the area, even though he never seemed to leave the old church. “Then you know that the last occurrence also included an assault on a young woman.

“I had heard as much.” Darius left the pot of tea on the small table near the fireplace and instead walked over to sit behind his desk.

“Someone has claimed that they saw a young man who fits the description of our suspect come into this very church. I need you to confirm this claim, and if it’s true, tell me all you can about this young man.”

Darius just looked at him, shaking his head slightly. “Inspector, we have been through this before and my answer has not changed. I cannot give you that information.”

LeBrun’s hand curled into a loose fist, the only expression of the frustration he was feeling at the moment. They had indeed been through this before, and he had known before he came in that the priest would not relent. After all, the last time had been a man who had murdered countless people, and the priest had still given him nothing. However, LeBrun still had to try. “He almost killed the girl, yet you won’t even confirm or deny if he was here.”

“I cannot betray the confidence of the people that I serve.  If I were to betray just one person, then I might as well have betrayed everyone. No one would ever trust me again, and I would no longer be able to help the people that need me.”

Shaking his head, LeBrun regarded the other man for a long moment. He had already tried arguing with the priest and using his guilt against him  He knew that doing such things now would get him nowhere. “I don’t know how you sleep at night.” The inspector turned and left the office, knowing there was nothing else that he could do.

Darius sighed softly. “You assume, dear Inspector, that I do.”

Series this work belongs to: