Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandoms:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
MCU Tony Stark & Peter Parker taking care of one another, Irondad_Spiderson_fics_that_will_make_you_FEEL_by_IneffableShipper, Irondad Creators Awards 2022, good fics™, Fics of the Marvel Universe to be happy
Stats:
Published:
2021-04-21
Completed:
2021-08-09
Words:
134,367
Chapters:
20/20
Comments:
1,630
Kudos:
3,954
Bookmarks:
862
Hits:
109,329

maybe love is the reason why (we're seeing it eye to eye)

Summary:

"I'm sorry. Repeat that again." Tony leaned forward in his seat from across the table. He even stuck a finger in his ear as if he was cleaning it out. "I don't think I heard you right."

Fury rolled his eyes-- or well, eye. "You and Rogers need to go undercover as a married couple in a community out on Long Island."

--

After Civil War, Tony and Steve are sent on an undercover mission as a couple to try and find Hydra informants. Somehow, they end up with Peter as their undercover son who decides to play matchmaker even if the two of them are doing their best to ignore their feelings after Siberia.

Notes:

I have planning this for over a year now! I binged Chuck last year, and there's an episode that inspired this fic because I needed to write SteveTony as an undercover couple. And of course, I had to add Peter to the mix. Undercover Family FTW! I am so excited to shove every single fake/pretend relationship trope into this fic.

I was going to wait to post this, but I'm not good with sitting on projects like this. I have the entire thing planned out (though, I know it will change drastically as I go) and the first 3 chapters (20k words) are written. I wanted to wait until I had five chapters done, but I'm not strong enough.

When I posted ain't my blood, reading your comments and seeing how excited you all were gave me the motivation to write 100k+ words in less than two months. I'm hoping for the same motivation from this one!

Some notes for this fic:
-it is set in the canon universe, after Civil War and Homecoming
-Thanos never comes, and after some months in hiding, they try to rectify the Accords while Bucky is in Wakanda.
-The Osborns are in this fic, but not in the way we usually see them.
-also whatever BS happened to shield that caused it to fall and fury to go into hiding just never happened
-This fic is safe for readers on both teams in Civil War. Depending on the character, the view about the Accords change. It doesn't reflect my opinions, only the characters'

Here is the playlist to this fic: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2o0sx3ieWScUqaB7ZP3vk7?si=a71334d6c8f14bce The title is taken from I2I from the Goofy Movie.

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Chapter Text

"I'm sorry. Repeat that again." Tony leaned forward in his seat from across the table. He even stuck a finger in his ear as if he was cleaning it out. "I don't think I heard you right." 

Fury rolled his eyes-- or well, eye. "You and Rogers need to go undercover as a married couple in a community out on Long Island." 

Steve was silent when he heard the words from Fury’s mouth. He knew that he shouldn’t be excited about it because Tony obviously didn’t want to have anything to do with him anymore, but he was. He’d by lying to only himself if he tried to act like he was going to hate this. He’d always loved Tony, and when he dreamed of a perfect life with a white picket fence and a family, it was Tony that was right by his side. 

Unfortunately, Tony wasn’t as happy to hear of the assignment. Not that Steve blamed him. "Why us? You realize there are hundreds of other SHIELD agents that can do this right?" 

"This is an intense undercover operation, Stark. I don't want to send out just anyone." Fury rolled his eyes. "As much of a pain in the ass as you are, I trust you two to get this done with no problems. I can't say that for most of my agents, unfortunately."

"What is this mission for, sir?" Steve asked, trying to keep the conversation on track. He didn’t want a reminder from Tony about how much he hated him. 

"We suspect that there is a Hydra operative living in this community, posing as a civilian."

"And we're just supposed to figure out which one of them is Hydra?" Steve asked, trying to figure out the hard part of the mission. How hard could it really be?

"Yes, what part of what I said confused you?" 

Tony snorted at Fury’s retort and Steve felt his cheeks burn. 

"Just clarifying, sir." 

Fury huffed and Tony sighed. "Lay off Rogers. He's just being a good boy scout and checking all the boxes before we start." 

Rogers. God...when was the last time Tony called him Steve? He couldn't remember. 

"So then there's no problem here? Are we all clear on the mission?" Fury asked, even though he wasn't looking for an answer other than yes.

Steve nodded his head. "Of course, sir." 

Tony scoffed and from the corner of his eyes, Steve could see him shaking his head in frustration. 

Fury noticed it as well. "You're the two I chose for this mission whether you like it or not. Get it done without complaining."

"You know, it's going to be kinda hard to get it done when we're who we are. Captain America and Tony Stark.” 

Steve tried to ignore the feeling he got when Tony used his own name but Captain America for him. It wasn't a good one. 

"How are you going to put us undercover?" Tony asked with good reason. His point was incredibly valid...it would be nearly impossible for them to go unrecognized. 

Fury smirked. "Every good spy has a disguise. You'll have different names."

"Cool. Cool. But, Nick, bud...we still look like ourselves." 

(Even Fury got addressed by his first name.)

Fury smirked at Tony's words. "Not for long." 

 


 

“Undercover together...like-- a couple?” Peter asked, failing to hide his smirk. 

“Yes, Peter. Like a couple.” Tony kept his eyes on the project in front of him, refusing to look up at him. 

“But doesn’t Director Fury know that you two like haven’t spoken to each other in…” Peter trailed off, unsure of how long it had been. 

“That we haven’t spoken in eight months? Yes.” 

Peter hadn’t known Tony that long. It had been eight months since they first met, and only five months since they had gotten closer. Tony had went from shoving every call to Happy to giving Peter two days a week for lab time, and at least one weekend a month where he was allowed to stay the week. Tony had even cancelled the sale of the tower after getting closer with Peter.

The government was working things out with Captain America and his side in the big ‘Civil War’, so they were allowed to stay at the Compound. Tony did everything he could since they moved in to avoid going there, so lately Peter had found himself at the tower with Tony more often than not. 

Peter didn’t exactly blame Tony for not wanting to see them or for being so reluctant to listen to their apologies. They had betrayed him, and something happened in Siberia that Peter didn’t know anything about. Tony refused to give him even the smallest of hints. 

The only reason Peter knew that the black eye he had months back was from Siberia because Happy had made a comment to him about it after school one day. Peter had jumped on Tony with questions the moment he saw him, but Tony’s face turned a little...sad for a brief second before he had glared at him and said to drop it. 

In the moment, Peter had dropped it, but he didn’t forget about it forever. He was much too curious for that. And the more time he spent with Tony, the more comfortable he got with asking about it. That didn’t mean he ever got an answer.

“I guess it makes sense,” Peter said, shrugging his shoulders. “They’re trying to get the team back together, aren’t they?” 

“There’s no team anymore, kid,” Tony grunted, fumbling with the tools in his hands. That was how Peter knew that Tony wasn’t as emotionally separated from this topic as he wanted it to seem. 

“There has to be an Avengers,” Peter said. “The world needs you.” 

“The world doesn’t need a bunch of superhumans that cause nothing but problems and then refuse to take responsibility for their actions. The world will be much better off without us.” 

Peter hated that the situation had to be so black and white. Either for the Accords or against; there was no middle-ground. The Accords were horrible, and he knew why Captain Rogers and the others would refuse to sign them. Peter wouldn’t have signed a set of papers that had been so grossly anti-mutant, but he knew they needed some level of policing. 

Getting either of them to realize that there was a middle ground to solve their problems wasn’t easy though. Or maybe they did know, but were just too stubborn to give the other even an inch. 

“The world needs you all working together and on the same page,” Peter argued, trying not to piss Tony off. He’d done that once, and he hadn’t seen him so angry since the ferry incident. He had come to find Peter after snapping, but it didn’t make it any better to think about. 

“Well, we fixed the Accords and they’re all signed. We’re all good kid.” 

“You signed them two months ago and you haven’t talked to any of the team since.” Peter watched his reaction closely. 

“T’Challa is back in Wakanda, and Wanda and Vision are who the hell knows where.” 

“What about literally everyone else?” 

“What about them? Why haven’t they reached out to me?” 

“Captain Rogers has reached out a few times, and didn’t he give you that note with the phone--?”

Tony’s head snapped up with narrowed eyes. Oh, so that was still a sore subject. “I told you not to go through my shit, Peter.” 

“You already got pissed at me for that. Can’t be mad again," Peter pointed out. God, Tony had been livid that day. "Haven’t you heard of double jeopardy? Anyways, he’s trying to apologize and make things right, so--.” 

“So he’s the saint, huh? It’s always me in the wrong. I’m the asshole. I’m the one that started all this. He’s just perfect.” 

If he was the reason that Tony returned home with bruises, he was far from perfect. Peter narrowed his eyes. “I never said that, Mr. Stark. I’m just saying--.” 

“I don’t care what you’re saying, kid. Drop it.” Tony was giving him a pointed look as he looked up at him through his eyelashes. 

Peter knew now was the time to drop it. He was doing his best to play mediator, but if he pushed too hard, he’d ruin any progress he’d made. “Alright, fine. I just have one more question.” 

Tony groaned loudly to let Peter know he was beyond aggravated with this conversation. “What?” 

Peter smirked, ready to dodge the tool he knew was going to be thrown his way soon. “So, with this undercover thing...do you guys have to, like, kiss and stuff?”

“Peter Benjamin!” Tony yelled, followed by the throwing of the screwdriver. 




 

“Fury doesn’t do anything without a good reason,” Natasha said to Steve at dinner after he’d gotten back to the Compound after his meeting with Director Fury and Tony. 

“Then what’s the point here?” Steve asked, furrowing his brow. He’d been trying to figure it out since they’d left. 

“A punishment for all the trouble we caused?” Sam suggested. “He had to go through a lot of meetings with Ross, and we all know how easy that man is to hate.” 

Natasha hesitated as she debated his words. “I don’t think he could be far off from the truth. You told us about the B.S. he said about you two being the only options, but I’m sure they could have found a better pair.” 

“So why force Tony and I to be husbands to find some undercover Hydra agent? It doesn’t make much sense.” Steve shook his head. “Not that I’m against taking down Hydra or being with a man, but it’s not adding up.” 

“Well, one of the terms of the New Accords is to show we can listen to authority, so it wouldn’t be wise to ignore this mission,” Sam said, shrugging his shoulders. “I’m surprised Stark didn’t just tell you to fuck yourself to mess with your amends.” 

Steve shook his head. Even if he and Tony were on opposite sides of this war, he would never stop defending him. “Tony wouldn’t do that. He wants this mess gone just as much as we do.” 

“Well, then I guess you’re doing this, huh?” Natasha said, raising her eyebrows. 

“Yeah, Tony and Fury will be here in a few weeks. Gives Fury time to get a house ready for us, and time for me to grow out my disguise.” Steve rubbed his cheeks, remembering the beard he had grown. He had found himself in a depression like state after his fight with Tony, and had let himself go. He shaved it off when he was being called in for meetings to amend the Accords because he wanted to look well-kept and professional, but now he was going to regrow it. No one, besides for the two people with him now had seen him with his beard, so it would be a good disguise. 

“So, are you and Stark gonna kiss at all for this mission?” Natasha asked suddenly with a small smirk on her face. “Because you’ve got some practicing to do before.” 

Steve felt his face turn red, and he looked over at Sam to see his reaction to Natasha’s words. He just raised his hands and said, “Don’t look at me, man. Go find a pillow or something.”

Steve looked back at Natasha. “I don’t need the practice. I will be fine if we ever need to kiss.” 

God, he hadn’t even thought about kissing Tony. That was just another thing to add to his long list of things to worry about in this game of house. 

 


 

"Oh, my God," Tony muttered, staring at himself in the mirror. The SHIELD's makeover team, essentially, had just finished dying--no bleaching his hair, and Tony was horrified by the results. 

"It's not that bad," Rhodey said, struggling to keep a straight face. 

"Not that bad?" Tony repeated incredulously. "I transformed into Hitler's perfect child." 

"You needed something that wouldn't be recognizable," Rhodey insisted. "This...is that." 

Tony looked back into the mirror, and he hated the man staring back at him. His hair was his normal length, though styled differently. The color was a light blond and his brown eyes were now blue from the contacts SHIELD provided, and worst of all, he had to shave his facial hair. 

He looked horrendous. Tony will never forget the look on Rhodey's face when he walked in. 

"Is Rogers here yet?" Tony asked, rubbing his smooth chin. God, his face hadn't been this smooth since he started growing facial hair back in the '80s. 

"Yes. He's out there." 

Tony wasn't sure what undercover look they were going to give him, but Tony knew it would be as drastic as his. It didn't need to be. No one really recognized Steve outside of his uniform unless they were a superfan or something. He wasn't Tony Stark. 

"Tell me honestly, buddy," Tony said, turning around. "Does he look bad?" 

Rhodey hesitated, and that was all he needed to know. 

"Oh, great!" Tony groaned. I'll look like a friggin' idiot and he'll look like Captain Handsome, as always." 

"You look fine," Rhodey reassured him. "You're just not used to the drastic change." 

"Just lay it on me, platypus. If you played for the other team, would you consider me hot?" 

Rhodey raised his eyebrows. "Seriously?"

"Yes!" Tony said.

"This is ridiculous."

"Answer the question." 

"Fine, you look hot. Alright? Now can we get out there? I want to say goodbye before I have to ship out overseas for a few weeks." 

"Where are you going?" Tony asked, straightening the shirt he was wearing, self consciously. 

"You know it's classified." Rhodey started walking towards the door, urging Tony to as well. 

"Yeah, but I'm your honeybear." 

"You're a civilian." Rhodey opened the door and walked out. 

"I'm Iron Man. That's definitely not a civilian," Tony said, following Rhodey out. 

"Technically, you're not." Rhodey glanced over his shoulder, gesturing the new look he was sporting. 

Tony should have had a clever comeback ready, but anything he could have said died on his tongue when he saw Steve. 

It had been a few weeks since Fury told them of their assignment, and Steve obviously used the time to grow in his disguise. His hair was longer than Tony had ever seen it; his hair curled at the nape of his neck. It was darker too now that it was long, more brown than blond. That wasn't the only hair he had grown as well; there was a full beard on his face now. 

Rhodey was right. He looked good. Tony might hate the guy, but at least he could be honest with how attractive he was. 

He looked nervous as he stood there. His shoulders were hunched and his hands were shoved into his pockets. To anyone else, he might look like he was just keeping to himself, but Tony knew he was anxious about something. After working with the guy for years, he could read him. 

Maybe before Siberia and before the Accords, Tony would have gone over to his side and tried to calm his nerves. But it wasn't before. So he plastered on his best paparazzi grin and said, "Wow, Cap. Didn't know you were capable of growing facial hair." 

The comment made him run a hand through his dark beard. "I thought it would be an effective disguise." 

"You got to pick your own? I had no say in mine," Tony said without any malice in his voice. "How rude of them." 

"Your disguise looks good, Tony," Steve said. "I almost didn't recognize you." 

"Almost?" Tony quirked an eyebrow. "Well, that's not good enough." 

"It's only because I know you well," he said. "I was expecting to see you in a disguise. I don't think the people in this neighborhood will place you." 

"Shoulda just put me in a red sweater and called me Mr. Rogers." Tony took a seat at the table they had set up in the room. Steve stayed standing against the wall with his eyes on the door.

"Would have saved me a lot of time in therapy." 

"Oh, you're fine, drama queen," Rhodey said. "This is only for a week or so." 

"A week?" Tony groaned. "Guess I'm just wasting my entire summer then." 

"It's a week," Rhodey said. "Again. Drama queen." 

A week wasn't bad, and it gave him a week off of Stark Industries meetings, so he was kind of excited for the time away. But he didn't want Steve to think that any moment spent with him was going to be enjoyable. 

The door opened then, and Fury walked in. He took a seat at the head of the table and dropped a thick file down. He was silent as he started to sort through his papers, and Tony drummed his fingers on the tabletop impatiently. Shouldn't he have had everything ready? 

It was another long moment before he finally said, "Thank you both for coming." 

"Didn't think I had a choice," Tony said honestly. "Because I think I'd rather be just about anywhere else." 

"Stark, can you get a new personality with this persona?" Fury asked. 

"Nope, but lucky you, you won't have to be the one dealing with me." He smirked over at Steve, who didn't seem bothered by Tony's comment. 

Fury slid over slips of paper for Steve and Tony to each read. Tony took his and started to read over the information printed. 

Fury narrated it aloud anyway. "You're going to Long Island town called Long Beach. There's a small gated community that we believe is housing a Hydra operative. We need you two to go in, make friends with the people in the neighborhood, and figure out which is Hydra." 

"Why are they holed up in the middle of Long Island?" Tony asked. "Isn't a warehouse in the middle of nowhere more their style?"

"I'm afraid I can't tell you why Hydra does what they do, but that doesn't change your mission," Fury replied shortly. 

"I just find it strange, is all. I mean, what are they even doing there?" 

"Maybe they're just hiding in plain sight," Steve suggested. 

"Yeah, but what for?" 

"Make it your job to find out," Fury said. "Find out who is Hydra, and what they're up to." 

"We just play house until we do?"

"I don't care what you do, as long as it finds the Hydra operatives." Fury was no nonsense. "We have a home already set up for the two of you. After we're done here, you can drive out there together." 

"Together?" Tony repeated. "Can't we just meet there later?" 

"You're going to be happily married for the next few days. If you can't stand each other for a car ride, you're in trouble." 

"We'll be okay, sir," Steve said. Tony refrained from rolling his eyes even though he wanted to tell him to speak for himself. 

"I think the two of you can work together and create a believable story that won't be ruined by either of you messing up. Can I count on you two to do that?" Fury looked from Tony to Steve as if he was a principal reprimanding two misbehaving students. Tony didn't know why Fury was stressing this together thing so much. Together was thrown out the window when Rogers decided to keep a secret as huge as the murder of his parents. 

"Of course, sir," Steve replied like a good little soldier. Tony kept his mouth shut because if he opened it, he wouldn't have anything nice to say. 

"Then, it's settled. Good luck, gentlemen."

Tony needed more than just luck to get through this mission without killing Steve. God help them both. 

 


 

Steve had hoped that their arguing wouldn't start until at least a few hours. But it started before they were even out of the Compound.

Tony didn't want Steve driving the car, which Steve didn't care enough about to argue so he let him drive. Then, Tony started complaining about what a piece of shit the car they were given was. 

Steve didn't think it was that bad of a car. He'd used worse for the past few weeks when he and the other “Rogues” were staying out of sight until General Ross decided it was okay to start making adjustments to the Accords. 

It wasn’t an Audi like Tony was probably used to driving, but it was more than a piece of shit. It was new, and ran smoothly, so Steve didn’t think they had any room to complain. Steve guessed he was just looking for something to be unhappy about. 

They also argued about what music to listen to, how fast Tony should be driving, which roads and exits to take, and when to pull over for the restroom. The drive was taking them almost two hours with traffic and the arguing. Most of the arguments, Tony won because he was stubborn and Steve didn’t want to fight. He wanted to mend things with Tony if they were going to be working together again, and he never wanted to hurt him. Pushing him away now would be too much for Steve to handle. 

There was one fight that Steve couldn’t afford to lose. 

“I asked you to pull over at the last rest stop,” Steve said with a clenched jaw. He was focusing so hard on controlling his bladder. He had already unbuckled so the belt wasn’t pressing against his stomach, and he was squeezing the handle on the ceiling of the car so hard that he probably dented it. 

“Yeah, well, I didn’t want to.” 

Steve glared outside at the traffic. They were at a standstill, and for the past forty-five minutes, there wasn’t an available exit to pull off of and take a break. Steve tried keeping quiet, but he couldn’t hold back his groans when Tony hit every bump on the road. 

“If you piss on the seat, you’re cleaning it up,” Tony warned him after he stopped the car a little too short. 

“If you make me piss on the seat, you’re cleaning it up,” Steve argued. He was trying his best to stay calm with Tony, but it was like he was purposely doing everything he could to aggravate Steve. 

“Don’t think so.” Tony was smirking, and Steve turned his head so he didn’t have to see his smug face anymore. He just wanted to focus on his deep breaths until they were at the house. Tony just put the music on a little louder and sang along to the radio. 

Funnily enough, even when Tony was being an asshole, Steve still couldn’t help his heart from fluttering when he was reminded at how hard he was falling for him. And this mission definitely wasn’t going to help his case. 

By the time that Tony pulled into the driveway of their temporary home, it was dark and Steve wasn’t sure he could even move without losing control. He pulled himself out of the car awkwardly, trying to not embarrass himself anymore in front of Tony. 

He went to the back of the car and pulled out the suitcase he had packed for the mission. Fury said that most of what they needed was in boxes in the home, but he wanted some personal things with him too. 

Tony patted him roughly on the back, and Steve groaned. “You mind getting mine too, honey? Thanks.” 

Steve knew Tony was once again being an asshole, but hearing him call him honey was so painfully domestic and so exactly what Steve always wanted in life, he couldn’t be upset with him. “Yeah. Sure.” 

Steve pulled Tony’s two suitcases out of the car, ready to try and balance them all when a new sudden voice had him jump. Even Tony seemed startled. “You two must be our new neighbors!” 

The woman is smiling brightly at them despite the late hour. Their light on the garage shined down on her so they could see her. She was a few inches taller than Tony, though Steve guessed her heels didn’t help his case. She had long blonde hair that curled down her back and shoulders. Her make-up was down perfectly, and Steve could see the way Tony checked her out that her sundress was doing wonders for her figure. 

Steve knew she was a beautiful woman, but she wasn’t anything more to him. There had only ever been two people in history to make Steve’s heart skip a beat and butterflies fill his stomach: Peggy Carter and Tony Stark.

The woman held her hand out to Steve. “My name is Evalyn.” 

Steve took her hand, trying to get through this so he could get inside and relieve himself. “Steve--...ns. Stevens, uh-- Roger. Roger Stevens.” 

If Tony could facepalm, he probably would be. 

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Roger. And who is this?” Her eyes turned to Tony, but she didn’t look as interested in him as she did with Steve. 

Tony stepped in front of Steve and shook her hand. “Edwin Stevens. His husband.” 

Evalyn’s eyes widened slightly. “Oh, you’re…”

“Gay?” Tony prompted. “Yeah, we are. Why? Do you have a problem with that?” 

“Of course, not,” she said immediately. “I just didn’t...oh, nevermind. Welcome to the neighborhood.” 

“Thank you,” Steve replied. “Uh, it was nice to meet you. We’d love to get to know you more, but we’ve had a long day of driving, so we’re eager to get some rest.” 

“Yes, of course!” She laughed, though he didn’t say anything funny. “You two get some sleep, and I’ll see you tomorrow! Goodbye, Roger.” Her eyes lingered a little too long before turning to Tony. “Goodbye to you too, Edward.” 

“Edwin,” Tony said through clenched teeth. 

“Right. Sorry.” She waved once before she was walking away, taking her time down the driveway. 

Once she was out of sight, Tony groaned. “I’m used to being the one to forget the name of the gorgeous woman, not the other way around.” 

If there was a Tony he didn’t like, it was his old playboy self. Steve was not that kind of person or lover. He didn’t want to be with someone for a night because they were attractive; he wanted to be with someone forever because they were beautiful inside and out. “Well, you’re not him,” Steve said, careful in case someone else was listening to them. He didn’t wait for Tony to answer before he started walking to the front door. 

Tony followed close behind and thankfully, grabbed one of the suitcases so Steve didn’t have to juggle all three. He stopped outside the door and stuck the key that Fury gave him inside the lock. Maybe if he wasn’t so exhausted, frustrated, and struggling to control his bladder, Steve would have stopped to appreciate the house. But he couldn’t do anything but leave the suitcases by the door and search for a bathroom. 

He ran through the furnished living room, past the few cardboard boxes, and hurried down the hall, throwing open doors until he found a bathroom. He sighed in relief when he slammed the door shut. He didn’t even turn on the light; he didn’t need to with his vision, and he relieved himself. 

Tony knocked on the door. “Didja make it?” Steve didn’t answer because fuck you was all he wanted to say, and that was just going to start another fight. “I’ll take that as a yes. I’m getting ready for bed in the master room. I dragged your suitcases to the guest room down the hall.” 

Steve frowned. Why was he being shoved into the guest room? He finished up, flushed, and washed his hands before he opened the door and started to make his way down the hall. “Tony?” 

“What do you want, Spangles?” Tony’s voice came from behind a closed door. 

“Are you decent?” Steve asked. 

“I'm going to bed. Leave me alone.” 

“Going to bed? We haven’t discussed anything yet. And--.” 

“I’m exhausted, Rogers. Goodnight.” 

Steve huffed. “Yeah, night.” He stormed his way down the hallway to the last room and opened the door. It wasn’t small, but it was just big enough for the twin sized bed, a dresser, and a large bay window looking out on the backyard. Steve didn’t mind it, but he wouldn’t have at least liked to discuss the sleeping arrangements with Tony. 

Without even bothering to unpack, Steve let himself fall forward on the bed and groaned loudly. Steve had faced difficult missions before. He’d nearly died on several of them. He’d been tortured on some too. But this mission, pretending to be Tony’s husband was the hardest, and it hadn’t even started yet. 

Not because pretending to be in love with him was hard...their marriage would be the easiest to fake. But when he was alone with Tony and had to pretend like he didn’t swoon at Tony every time he looked his way, even when he was just trying to aggravate Steve, was the hard part. Steve’s task wasn’t making sure that the neighbors never found out they weren’t in love, it was making sure that Tony never found out he was.