Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Stats:
Published:
2021-04-01
Completed:
2021-11-27
Words:
3,955
Chapters:
3/3
Comments:
10
Kudos:
65
Bookmarks:
8
Hits:
593

Fill the Night with a Song

Chapter 2

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The bar took longer than expected. The dancers on the floor took the band’s break as enough reason to migrate to the bar and re-hydrate. By the time Steve got his order the band started up again meaning he had to walk back to his and Bucky’s table without spilling what would most certainly be their last call financially.

“Thanks,” Bucky’s mouth moved, but his voice was drowned out by the band playing louder than before.

Steve shook his head and shrugged, which Bucky seemed to understand.

The two of them cleared their plates and sat at their table in silence enjoying the band. Steve’s knee bounced along to the music. Occasionally it would hit Bucky’s under the table and he would look at Steve and give a hint of something both sweet and sly.

“’M gonna get us something,” Bucky said in between songs,

“Buck, we can’t,” Steve said back, “We gotta get home.”

“We’ll walk,” Bucky shrugged,

“Buck…” Steve started before Bucky was too far away to argue.

A couple moments later Bucky returned, almost effortlessly weaving through dancing couples with two short glasses with an inch of amber liquid in the bottom.

“I thought you were getting drinks,” Steve said flatly,

“It’s whiskey,” Bucky returned the flat tone,

“Couldn’t afford an old fashioned?” Steve jabbed,

“Ha ha,” Bucky said as he placed the glasses in front of them and sat down, “You’re a real funny guy, you know that.”

Steve smirked and took the drink in a single mouthful feeling the burn all the way down. He tried not to make a face, but Bucky’s laugh said he was failing. After a couple minutes Steve could feel the telltale signs of inebriation just as the band started to play something slower.

“We should dance,” He found himself wanting to say,

“We should dance,” Bucky actually said,

“Buck, we can’t,” Steve said too fast to stop himself,

Bucky’s face dropped and Steve felt disappointment creep up from within. Steve scanned the room hoping the right words would come to fix this.

“Y’know,” Bucky shouted over the music, “I’m gettin’ real tired of these mixed signals, y’know that?”

“Yeah,” Steve said back, “Me too.”

“Then do somethin’ about it!” Bucky huffed from his side of the table.

“Buck…” Steve started, but couldn’t finish,

“Yeah, yeah,” Bucky rolled his eyes, “I know, I know. We can’t.”

Steve wanted to argue with him, tell him he was trying. Somehow Steve always felt never quite man enough, and yet, still too man for his own good. He resided in a nowhere space and for whatever God forsaken reason Bucky always kept him company. He couldn’t understand the place Steve was, but it never stopped him. Steve knew he couldn’t keep pushing him away, not when he wanted him so bad.

“I’m not much of a dancer,” Steve said as nonchalant as he could.

He took a breath in the astonished silence Bucky gave him.

“Or at all,” Bucky said with a smirk, “Y’know, I don’t think I’ve ever seen you dance.”

“I’d only embarrass you on the dance floor, Buck,” Steve said,

“Aw,” Bucky tipped his head back, “it can’t be that bad.”

“I don’ know, Buck,” Steve said fighting shyness, “You’ve never seen me dance.”

“How ‘bout this,” Bucky turned on his charm and a half-cocked grin, “you and me, we fin’ some place real private and then…”

Steve drank Bucky’s smooth in, “then what, Buck?”

“We see where the night takes us, pal,” Bucky said, turning back in his chair to stare at the sprawl of dancers and taking a sip of his whiskey.

“I’m a classy guy,” Steve joked,

“What ‘m I supposed to do?” Bucky joked back, “I buy you drinks, I buy dinner, no thanks even. These classy fellas, I swear.”

Steve threw his head back and laughed, “Alright, Alright, take me dancing, pal.”

Bucky stared at Steve with eyes so soft you’d think they’d melt in the sun if he wasn’t careful. His soft smile made Steve dizzy in a way he didn’t hate either. Something about this man must’ve been horribly, horribly wrong to think Steve was enough, but right now the doubt didn’t matter. Bucky mattered. Right now Bucky wanted to dance and Steve would’ve moved heaven and hell to make that happen. His feet would certainly slow him down, but by God he wasn’t about to let that stop him.

Steve swallowed down the rest of his drink and let Bucky take the lead as they left through the back door, weaving through smokers and lovers who occupied the back alley. They found themselves somewhere closer to home than they were before outside a club they couldn’t afford to get in, but music played loud enough to be heard from down the block and around the corner if they wanted.

Bucky stopped and listened to the tune as it became familiar.

“Care to dance?” Steve asked,

Bucky looked at Steve with an unreadable expression on his face.

“I should be asking you,” He said as he held out his hand,

“Looks like I beat ‘ya to it,” Steve said as he took it.

Steve took a couple of awkward steps, unsure where he should move or how.

“Ah,” Bucky gasped in surprise when a shoe stepped on his foot, “Steve-Steve, stop.”

“S’ry” Steve muttered,

“Can I take the lead?” Bucky asked.

Steve took a moment to stare into Bucky’s eyes, taking in the soft gaze that stared back at him.

He let out a resigned sigh before letting himself await to be molded into a more feminine position.

Bucky switched his hand in Steve’s and looked into Steve’s eyes before giving a quick smile. He guided Steve’s other hand up until it rested on his shoulder before placing his own hand on Steve’s arm.

Bucky started with a simple sway, mindful of the song that spilled onto the street from the club.

“Stevie, how am I supposed to admire those baby blues when they’re glued to your shoes?” Bucky laughed,

Steve looked up to say something about his fear of stepping on Bucky’s feet again,

 

“Let’s build a stairway to the stars

And climb that stairway to the stars,” the singer’s voice echoed from the nightclub,

“Care to add to this?” Bucky asked as he added something that looked more like dancing to their movements,

“With love beside us to fill the night with a song

We’ll hear a song of violins

 

Out yonder where the blue begins

The moon will guide us

As we go drifting along…” the singer continued.

“An’ here I thought you had two left feet,” Bucky joked,

Steve laughed, “We’re only halfway through the song.”

“Can’t we sail away?

On a lazy daisy petal

Over the rim of the hill?

Can’t we sail away

On a little dream and settle

High on the crest of a thrill?

 

“Let’s build a stairway to the stars

A lovely stairway to the stars

It would be heaven

To Climb heaven with you” the singer finished.

 

The applause could be heard from outside the club. Bucky joined the applause, clapping and hollering from their piece of street. Steve joined too until security stepped outside and the two made a break for it.

“Don’t let go, Buck!” Steve said as he gripped Bucky’s hand tightly,

Steve looked back to see Bucky grinning ear to ear, “Not in a million years, pal.”

Notes:

1. I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed making this. Feel free to leave a comment or a kudos, I love getting them!
2. From the 20's-ish to the end of ww2 swing dance was extremely popular and had several sub-genres of dance. During this time period one popular type of swing dance was the Lindy Hop which originated in Harlem. I used waltz positions (which has been around since ~13th century) because its closer and more romantic, but instead of Bucky putting his hands around Steve's waist as the lead (traditionally the man) would usually do he puts it on his arm. It's a small detail I couldn't not mention.
3. The song is Stairway to the Stars by Glenn Miller, which has the longest intro in a song despite being lest than 3 minutes so it is realistic to teach someone to dance in the time it takes for the first verse to start.
4. Whether you think Steve can dance or Bucky is just humouring him is entirely up to you :)
5. I think there will be a chapter 3, I'm feeling ambitious. I'm hoping to have it done before fall, but I make no promises.