Actions

Work Header

The Sea, the Salt and the Betrayal

Summary:

The traveler has foiled his plans.
His trusted friend betrayed him.
Her Majesty abandoned him.
And now, he'll be used as a pawn again.

Chapter 1: Under the Darkness of the Sea

Summary:

At that moment, Childe realized his death was to drown into the unknown waters- far away from his home.

Notes:

WARNING: PLEASE MIND THE TAGS BEFORE READING IT!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Childe found himself walking alone on the beaches of Guyun Stone Forest. It was a terrible day for a walk as the rain poured hard. Who walks in the middle of the night while it is raining without any means to shield themselves from being drenched?

But who would blame Childe when various reality slapped him from left to right?

First, the traveler had foiled his plans. His Fatui agents were defeated by the cooperation of Aether, the Qixing and the Adepti. Unleashing Osial was not enough.

Getting beaten by Aether was nothing to the next one.

Second, he discovered that Zhongli, that braindead funeral parlor consultant, was none other than Morax.

The Rex Lapis, the God of Contracts… the Geo Archon, the one he has been assigned to look for was Zhongli all along. The Tsaritsa tasked him to obtain the Gnosis of the Geo Archon using any means necessary… only to find out that he got played as the fool.

The Exuvia in the Golden House was nothing but an empty husk. He thought that Aether already obtained the Gnosis. In his anger, he unleashed his Foul Legacy and Osial’s seal at the same time. Before he can overpower Aether, Zhongli intervened and assisted the traveler.

“Aether does not have the Gnosis.” When Zhongli uttered those words, he revealed the Gnosis on his palm. “Do not further harm the traveler, I have what you want. Although, I am not giving it for free.”

Defeated in the hands of Zhongli even in his full power, Childe barely escaped Liyue. His escape leads him in Guyun Stone Forest. Moments later, he saw that Osial was defeated. The rain did not stop, and Childe walked and walked mindlessly, not knowing where to go.

He is probably going to be hunted by the Qixing and Millelith at this point. He needed to secure a way back home to Snezhnaya but failing Tsaritsa was the ultimate sin he committed.

Childe was lost on his thoughts when a surprise attack of Hydro lunged at him. Awaken by the splash of water, Childe observed the area and found multiple elemental Hydro beings surrounding him.

Since his own hydro had no effect on these creatures, he called out to his Electro Delusion- but it did not respond. He attempted again but it showed the same result. He looked at the Delusion he has… The jewel’s light is dim, and it has a crack.

Another slap of reality… The Tsaritsa withdrew her blessings.

Her Majesty had abandoned him.

---

Childe managed to fend off a few of the elementals using the dull blades he managed to pick up, but he knew it was not enough. The elementals regenerate in number, and he is at his wits end. Falling on his knees, Childe tried to muster his remaining strength to attempt to flee.

Yet it was futile.

The hydro elementals seized his control and captured him. He struggled to break free, yet his consciousness was slowly fading. Before blacking out, the hydro beings were dragging him down to the sea.

At that moment, Childe realized his death was to drown into the unknown waters- far away from his home.

---

Childe opened his eyes and in disbelief.

He is alive.

He is surrounded by nothing but water.

He is breathing underwater.

UNDERWATER!?

He flailed and attempted to catch his breath.

He can… breathe underwater?

Suddenly, he heard an ominous chuckle.

“Hahahaha! How amusing.”

Childe looked at his surroundings and saw someone sitting on a worn-out throne. The person has a long blue (akin to an ocean) hair down to his waist. He wears tattered clothing garments. Hovering around him were a book and an orb which he normally finds amongst Catalyst Users. The man possessed no Vision.

Is he the Hydro Archon? That cannot be right, though. He met the Hydro Archon once and the archon is a girl.

Then, how could one explain the arms the man has? It was similar to Zhongli’s Geo Constructed arms. This man has a blue-water-like-whatever-he-tried-to-describe-it arms- from his shoulder down to his fingers. Yet, compared to Zhongli, this man emits a more dangerous aura.

“Who are you?”

“How preposterous. You summoned me earlier and you have forgotten?”

Summoned earlier…

Summoned earlier…

“O… Osial? You’re Osial…”

“Congratulations, Snezhnayan. You got it right.”

The man… or the god before him was none other than Osial, the Overlord of Vortex. Childe attempted to stand up to go into a battle stance, but he just noticed by now how his wrists and ankles were locked into some kind of water-like chain.

He finally managed to get a closer inspection of himself- his Snezhnayan clothes were in tatters but his wounds and bruises were all visible to him now. His Vision was still dangling on his waist, but it seemed like the chains were preventing him to even try to summon his Hydro. The Electro Delusion was also still there, but he knew that it didn’t work the last time he called for it.

“I am simply claiming my price for using me, Tartaglia. And the price is you.”

“Why would you take me as a price when you did not even left a big dent on Liyue?”

“You merely summoned a small lump of my power.”

“That was small? Ningguang has to sacrifice her Jade Palace to stop that small lump of power!”

“If I can fully go out of this prison domain the Geo Archon has put me, I can drown Liyue into the eternal waters. However, I needed a host to do so.”

“You’re not referring to me, are you?”

Osial laughed at Childe’s statement.

“You must be kidding… Why would I want to be your host-“

“With nowhere else to go, what do you think your fate will lead you? Betrayed, defeated, abandoned… Have you not lost your place, Tartaglia?”

What Osial said stung Childe straight to his heart.

Aether defeated him.

Zhongli betrayed him.

The Tsaritsa abandoned him.

Where does he go from here? Childe does not know.

“Although… You still reek of Morax’s energy. Perhaps he still cares…”

Childe was confused of Osial’s statement. Morax’s energy?

“Zhongli’s what now? What does that mean?”

“Either… He marked you right from the very start as a hostile… or he cared about you. Morax usually do these things to enemies more often than the latter.”

From the very start, Zhongli knew of his plans to lure out the Geo Archon and sow chaos in Liyue? Naïve Childe did not even knew Zhongli is the Archon, and his work attitude turned into affection towards the parlor consultant.

But for Zhongli? He was an enemy right from the very start. His genuine care and company… were a bunch of lies from the very beginning.

Caught off-guard because of his thoughts, he did not notice that Osial was already on the floor and near him. He moved back, but the Overlord caught his wrist.

“I don’t want this domain to reek of that accursed Geo Archon. Even if this is his prison, I have to dispel it from you.”

Osial summoned a water serpent and commanded it to immediately bite Childe’s neck. The Harbinger flinched because of the excruciating pain. Osial summoned another one for the other part, and two more for both his shoulders. Childe saw that his blood was being drained as the serpent turned red. Once done, Osial cut the serpent out from his system and summoned more and repeat the process.

“Fuck… Stop it!”

Childe pleaded but Osial ignored him. Childe, once again, was losing his energy. After a while, Osial was satisfied but he summoned more of the snakes to pin Childe down while biting him.

This time, Childe felt like the snakes were infusing him of something. The pour of energy was too much for him and his elemental ley line to handle.

“A… S…stop… StoP!”

“We’re just beginning, my new servant. Don’t flail too much and hold still.”

“NoOo…!! S-S—STOP!!!”

Yet, again, Osial did not listen. Osial unrobed himself and removed Childe’s clothing as well. Osial latched himself towards Childe’s neck and sniffed the latter.

“For a human, you smell nice.”

“Perv…verted… god! Get off me!”

“Oh, don’t tell me Morax has not touch you or copulated with you… He usually extracts information or dominates enemies by copulating with them.”

“Why the… fuck would he… AHH JUST GET OFF ME!!!”

Childe attempted to push the god away but Osial’s hold was stronger. This time, the Overlord sank his fangs on to Childe’s neck. The Harbinger then felt something was heating up inside him.

“Of course, even I do the same…”

Osial wiped the blood from his mouth and made Childe sit on his lap. The effects of his poison should be spreading inside the mortal’s body now. His little touch makes Childe flinch. He touched and pinched the perky nipples of the Harbinger that made Childe flail even more.

“.. ff… Get your… hands… off me…”

“Is this how you repay your savior?”

“A… I…. I don’t need saving… Just kill me… I have enough… of being used…aa!”

Osial did not stop toying with Childe around. Growing impatient, Osial led one of his tendrils to Childe’s rim. A cold touch of the tendrils made Childe to thrash more.

“No… fuck… no… Get off… me!”

Osial had enough of Childe’s resisting voice, so he summoned another tendril and made its way to Childe’s mouth. The Harbinger can only gag at this point.

Multiple tendrils began to violate Childe’s inside. They squirm. They go in and out of his hole for Childe to handle. It was enough stimulation for Childe to subconsciously cum. The white ribbons coming out from his dick were scooped by Osial and he used it to lube Childe’s ass.

Next thing Childe knew, Osial was fucking him deep and hard.

“Morax is missing out. I cannot believe he missed out a chance to fuck a slut like you.”

“Mmmnghhpphh… nnghhh!”

Osial unsummoned the water snake that was occupying Childe’s mouth. The Harbinger gasped for air… The stimulation in every nook and cranny of his body was overwhelming all of his senses.

And then, he hears himself moaning from being raped by the Overlord.

“Look at you. You’re better off as a whore than a warrior, Tartaglia.”

Again, Childe can only release moans from being fucked by Osial. Somehow, his resistance lowered down and began to… enjoy.

“A bit more, my beloved whore… And you shall be blessed by me. Be grateful, mortal. You have pleased the Overlord of Vortex.”

“A…ahhh… M… Mas…ter… Osial…”

“Good! Good! Receive my blessings in full, Tartaglia!”

The Overlord, along the tendrils that was penetrating Childe, released a lot of cum inside Childe. The Harbinger fell down to the ground. Finally, it was over.

Before Childe lose consciousness again, he heard Osial’s laughter. He felt the Overlord combing his disheveled hair. And then, he looked at his arms… They are slowly turning into the water-like arm he saw with Osial.

And then, everything faded to black.

---

“I have searched everywhere, Zhongli. I cannot find him!” Aether called Zhongli’s attention who was looking at the sea’s horizon. “Maybe Childe’s not here?”

“That cannot be… The mark I gave him sensed him here.” Zhongli replied as he pick up the Starconches while searching.

“Paimon thinks perhaps Childe tripped and fell into the sea? Or maybe he just decided that he did the most shameful thing and jumped off from a cliff and into the sea?”

“Paimon! Mind your words!”

“But Aether, Paimon thinks of the possibility. After all, we foiled his plan and Zhongli was the Geo Archon all along. It doesn’t seem like he can comeback to Liyue or Snezhnaya after what he did.”

“But Zhongli said he’ll protect Childe.”

“Paimon thinks that it will be a hard struggle considering Childe said he was betrayed by Zhongli, right?”

Silence followed suit.

Zhongli decided to stay behind. Aether and Paimon decided to rest at Wangshu Inn. Zhongli looked again at the sea’s horizon. There is still the heavy downpour.

The Geo Archon senses another storm will be coming to his beloved Liyue.

Notes:

Time to cleanse myself from writing some good ending.
I deliver to you, the angst!

Chapter 2: The Sea and the Salt are one

Summary:

What made the god of the sea that protects Liyue to turn into a calamity?

Notes:

NEW TAGS ARE UP. PLEASE MIND THEM AGAIN!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Childe finds himself back at the beach of Guyun Stone Forest. Was his encounter with Osial just a dream?

He observed the area. This is the Stone Forest… but somehow it is not as well. The erecting stone structures seemed to be lacking and the area were livelier than usual.

Perhaps this is not Guyun Stone Forest at all?

“Havria, is something wrong?”

Someone approached Childe. He was startled a bit when he saw the figure… it was Osial. Why is he calling him Havria? Who is Havria?

“Ahh, Osial! I am admiring the view of your domain. I do not wish for it to be ruined.”

Childe seemed to be surprised that he responded as someone else.

“Do not fret, Havria. I shall protect this domain and keep the bastion of this place safe. If there is something to worry, I am worried about your safety. Morax gave you a task to shelter the children and elderly alongside to those who cannot fight, so I cannot help but worry since Sal Terrae is far from here.”

Childe was alarmed with how Osial addressed Morax in a not hostile manner. What is going on?

Sal Terrae? Why does it seem familiar?

“Do not worry! Big sister Guizhong taught me a bit about using her tools. I am sure that even a weak goddess like me can fend them off.”

Guizhong? Is she not the goddess Zhongli kept mentioning about when they had a trip in Guili Plains?

“You are not a weak goddess.”

“Morax is god of contracts and war. You, Osial, are god of the sea and vortex. Guizhong is goddess of dust and inventions… Meanwhile, Havria… Goddess of Salt. Salt! Salt! Why can’t I have a cooler title!?”

Osial burst out laughing that made Childe pout. Then, the latter was surprised when Osial held his hand. It was the same Hydro structured hand he saw but heavier in blue hue. Meanwhile, his own hand was a lighter shade of blue, much like what he has before he collapsed yesterday.

Childe realized that this, perhaps, was Osial’s memories… It was the past. He also realized that it was before the Archon War, way before nations rise… and gods and goddesses fall.

Osial gripped Childe’s hand tight and looked at the sea’s horizon.

“You are strong, Havria. That is why you are the other ruler I choose for this domain. The sea and the salt work together to give life to our people, to give what they need. You may not be as strong as me and Morax in battle and strength or when it comes to Guizhong’s genius on building new things… But Havria has a big heart and an immense amount of kindness that no other gods possess.”

As Childe hears the reply, he does not expect that Osial would utter such gentle words. The Osial he met was cold and ruthless. Heck, Osial even did something unforgivable! Yet, the Osial before him was gentle and caring.

What made Osial turn from a calm sea into a vortex of Calamity?

Lost in his thoughts, Childe saw that the surroundings began to alter then shifted to a messier scenario. The rain was pouring heavily. When he looked his reflection on the water, it was his face. He observed the area carefully.

Childe, then, noticed that he was inside some ruins. There were statues in marble white color. He looked at the strange statues… He suddenly feels uneasy and backed off- like these marble statues felt alive.

He went deeper into the ruins. He can feel someone is here beside him. He attempted to pick up a weapon, but he cannot touch anything in the place. Without a choice, he pressed forward towards the deepest part of the ruins.

What he saw next was something he did not expect… Osial was holding a woman on his arms. The hydro around him was trying to mend the wounds of the other person but to no avail.

“Osial… Don’t waste… your power here. Go help… Morax… and Guizhong…”

“No! I will not go anywhere until you are fine!”

“Osial… Our people… are they… alright?”

“I do not care about them! I have to treat your wound!”

“But… our people…”

Our people betrayed you, Havria! They did this to you! They can all die!”

“Osial… My beloved Osial… They... We… have to… protect them…”

Childe can feel that the woman’s energy was fading. Moments later, the woman began to crumble to salt.

Osial’s expression suddenly turned into rage. The Hydro around him began to let loose. The ruins began to be flooded. His vision of the area began tp distort and the last thing he heard from Osial were the words of pure malice.

“Humans who betray shall pay the price of their treason with eternal damnation.”

---

Childe jolted up from the dream he saw. He woke up and broke into a cold sweat. The dream he saw was none other than part of the past.

Havria was Osial’s lover who died during the Archon War.

It was the humans that Havria was protecting that killed her.

Osial was friends with Morax and Guizhong a long time ago.

Osial was overwhelmed with anger because of the death of his lover and started to wage war against the humans and other gods.

And the rest was history.

Childe cannot bear the information overload and developed a headache. He rubbed his temples, and then he gave attention to the light-blue arm he now possesses. With a mark traced of white hue, it was similar to Havria’s own arms.

Osial mentioned that he will be turned into the god’s host in order to get out of this domain. But the god’s arms were darker in hue.

Is Osial… making him host the remnants of Havria instead?

He, again, rubbed his temples in confusion.

He will find an answer… as soon as he finds a garment to wear.

---

Childe found what he was looking for easily by the table near the bed. He also found a mirror and saw that his wounds and bruises were all patched up.

The Electro Delusion and Hydro Vision were by the mirror’s table, but somehow Childe felt he did not need such trinkets. He did not touch them anymore. After all, the Archons abandoned him to this fate.

He also noticed that there are shades of white at the ends of his hair. His eyes were also showing a slight tint of white.

The similarities of him to Havria were becoming clearer but he wanted the answers to come out from Osial himself.

After all, he now prefers the bitter truth than the sweet lies.

---

“You’re awake.”

Childe was greeted by Osial who was drinking tea by his throne. The Snezhnayan wondered if all of Liyue’s gods enjoy drinking tea.

“Ahh, good morning? Wait… Does this place even have a sense of time?”

“It does, but time flows differently here albeit randomly. A day here could be a month or a year in Teyvat.”

“Does that mean my lifespan is shortened here?”

“No, because it does not affect you anymore.”

Childe was alarmed of the statement.

“Care to explain?”

“Didn’t I tell you that I’m turning you into my host? You’re basically a god or a halfling at this point.”

“You did say that, but why am I not turning into a carbon copy of you instead?”

Osial remained quiet and did not reply. Childe continued to press further.

“Are you turning me into Havria’s host instead?”

Osial was still silent but Childe felt shivers down his spine.

“Did Morax told you about her?” The god’s voice turned colder.

“No. He did not disclose any information.”

The god felt that Childe was telling the truth but was not satisfied with the answer.

“Where did you learn about her?”

“A dream- your past and what happened to her.”

Suddenly, the malice around the throne room dispersed. Osial began to answer the question calmly.

“Do not humor yourself. I am not turning you into Havria. I have no intention to. However, the sea and the salt are one. Thanks to a dumb Archon dropping Havria’s remaining relics down here, I managed to recover a bit of the salt’s power. I am simply blessing it you with it so we can get out of this prison.”

Childe released a sigh of relief but the next statements of Osial confused him.

“However… I only imparted a part of that power. It is not enough. I have to continue infusing you with the sea and salt’s power for it to stabilize it inside you.”

“And that means…”

“I think you know the answer to that… with your body.”

Childe choked on the god’s reply. Osial simply sipped his tea.

“Perverted god…”

“I believe someone called me Master yesterday and did not complain.”

“Ugh…”

“You complain with your mouth, but your body is honest.”

“Shut up.”

“It’s a shame that Morax did not even sleep with you at least once.”

The mention of Zhongli’s real name brought Childe back to the silence. He somehow remembered his defeat, and Zhongli’s cold treatment to him.

“Ahaha… I believe… Morax only sees me as a business partner… nothing more… And right now, an enemy of his Liyue…”

Childe’s voice was breaking. He tried to laugh it out and hid under his façade, but Osial noticed how hurt Childe is- he was on the verge of tears.

The god put down his cup of tea and stood up from his seat. Osial’s next action surprised the Snezhnayan- the god hugged him and placed his head on his chest.

“I apologize, I should not have brought it up.”

Osial’s voice was gentle- like the voice Childe heard from his dream.

“No, it’s okay… I-“

Before Childe could properly reply, his stomach grumbled.

“Ahh! I’m sorry.”

“It is alright. You have not eaten anything since you ran away from Liyue, I understand. Wait for me here.”

Osial summoned a small table and a chair. Childe accepted the invitation and sat down on the chair. Osial, then, whipped up a food that surprised Childe.

The meal was his favorite dish he called “Prize Catch”.

Good thing that Osial did not gave him chopsticks, because up until that day, he is still terrible at using it.

---

Osial went back to his throne and continued to drink his tea. He observed the man in front of him from head to toe.

Hiding behind his cup of tea was a sinister smile.

“Morax… You’re nothing but a fool… You just let go someone who will be the key to your downfall…”

---

Every day, Zhongli would leave work in the exact time, something that he had never done before. The consultant would head to the port after work and looked at the direction of Guyun Stone Forest.

Sometimes, he would ask the traveler Aether to accompany him to Guyun Stone Forest to pick Starconch Shells. Aether did not mind, even if the area always experienced a heavy downpour. He knew Zhongli is still not giving up on any attempts to find Childe.

After all, what is a year after compared to the time of a god?

Notes:

Childe is developing Stockholm Syndrome.
What is it exactly?
Stockholm syndrome is a condition in which hostages develop a psychological bond with their captors during captivity. Emotional bonds may be formed between captors and captives, during intimate time together, but these are generally considered irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims.

 

This is the first time I'm writing something a scenario like this. So, bear with me.

GOODLUCK TO EVERYONE ROLLING FOR XIAO TOMORROW!

Chapter 3: Halokinesis

Summary:

Zhongli got all the information he needed to finally move on his own- the endless rain in Guyun Stone Forest, the Salinification Incident and Paimon reporting that the masked man looked a lot like a certain man they lost a year ago.

Notes:

Please do mind the tags again. Thank you :D

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Tension and uneasiness were building up in the meeting room of the reconstructed Jade Chambers. Ningguang called upon the members of the Liyue Qixing alongside some other individuals that were given a summon as well- namely Aether (sadly, the path to Inazuma is still uncertain so he’s staying), Zhongli with Hu Tao and Baizhu.

Ever since the Qixing took upon themselves the leadership of Liyue without Rex Lapis’ help, they began to rebuild the nation. One of their projects was the restoration of Mingyun Village.

“Three month ago, the project was going smoothly. Until recently, there were reports of accidents involving the workers.” Ningguang opened up the meeting. “Ganyu, kindly report what the pharmacist handed you.”

“As you wish.” Ganyu, the secretary, stood up and read the paper’s contents. “According to Baizhu, workers were rushed to the pharmacy with a strange condition around them. A part of their body seemed to be petrified by a white geo construct. With Baizhu working with the forensic team managed by Hu Tao, they managed to just identify the strange white geo construct that injured and killed some of our hired workers.”

Everyone was paying attention as Ganyu flipped through the pages of the report esp. Zhongli who started to be curious of what this particular “white geo construct” is.

“The reason of death of most of the workers is called “Salinification”. Too much sodium chloride was found in their body that it clogged the blood veins and blocked the airflow coming from the lungs.”

One of the elders raised their hand for a question. “Excuse me, could you please tell this old lady what sodium chloride is?”

“Oh. I am sorry. I used the scientific term. Uhm… They died of salt forming in their body from the inside.”

As soon as the meeting ended, Zhongli rushed back to Wangsheng Funeral Parlor alongside Aether and Hu Tao. The pained expression on his face was too obvious not to notice.

“You know something about this, don’t you Zhongli?” Hu Tao asked the consultant.

Zhongli nodded. “I do have some ideas, but I need more time to research it, provided that Sal Terrae is close to Mingyun Village…”

“Do you want us to go and investigate?” Aether was referring to himself and Paimon (who knows where she is right now, probably at Xiangling’s place eating food).

“That would be very helpful, traveler. However, please be very careful. Escape immediately if it gets more dangerous.”

---

The next day, Aether prepared his gear to travel to Mingyun Village. Whatever or whoever was hindering the restoration of the area was probably an enemy of the Qixing.

“Do you think the Fatui is up to something again, Aether?”

“It could be possible. We only have one way to find out.”

After teleporting to the Statue of the Seven, Aether scaled down the cliff going to Mingyun Village. The construction was put on hold due to the accidents, and so Aether was probably the only one around the area- except to a few Millelith he met before heading to the heart of the construction.

His instincts alarmed him of the surrounding danger, and he was right- there were bodies of Treasure Hoarders who trespassed the area that turned into “salt”. Surprisingly, there were also dead bodies of Fatuis along the Treasure Hoarders.

“Paimon, do you still think the Fatui are responsible for this?”

“Hmmm… Paimon is unsure. Perhaps they were doing experiment and had a friendly fire?”

“Let’s take some photos and report this to Zhongli-“

Before Aether could take out his Kamera, he felt a strong elemental presence. He took out his sword instead and readied for a battle. The presence began to form.

A strange man wearing unusual clothing appeared before him. Just like his hair, it was braided. He noticed that the color of the man’s hair plays around orange, white and blue.

The man was wearing a mask, so he could not see his face. Aether also thought that perhaps the “man” before him could be a woman… but who cares about gender right now when the enemy was in front of him.

Aether noticed that the man had strange-looking constructed arms, much like Zhongli’s geo constructed arms. It was light blue with a trace of white.

Before Aether could observe the presence before him further, the stranger attacked him with hydro powers. Aether noticed that the man possessed no Vision.

“Who are you!?” Aether finally asked the stranger, but he received no response. The fight continued, with Aether on the defensive.

When he managed to get closer, the stranger summoned a white-construct shield around him. As Aether’s sword touched the construct, the sword began to be coated with white element. Aether threw the weapon away, but the shield changed form and landed a hit on Aether. White geo construct began to form and weigh down on Aether’s right arm.

“Fuck…” Aether could only curse due to the pain of the attack. The geo construct began to spread further. The stranger did not pause in his attack and summoned two hydro blades from his hands then lunged towards Aether.

Aether barely managed to dodge with his anemo powers. This knocked off the mask the stranger was wearing. His golden eyes met the blue eyes that was like the color of the sea.

Upon closer look, Aether was surprised when he recognized the face before him. The revelation made Aether lose focus and was unable to guard the stranger’s next attack.

Two hydro blades were plunged into his right arm, accelerating the process of the salinification of his arm.

“Shit… Paimon, we have to get out of here!”

Paimon immediately activated the portable waypoint she had on her pocket and warped Aether and herself back to Liyue.

---

Zhongli immediately went to Bubu Pharmacy after hearing upon the traveler’s return from the panicking Paimon. Aether encountered the suspect of the “incidents” and was terribly injured by it… to the point that Baizhu sought help from the Chief Alchemist of Mondstadt, Albedo, to reverse the effects of the salinification.

“If the salinification won’t be stopped, Aether could either lose his arm or lose his life.” Baizhu told Zhongli.

When Albedo arrived at Bubu Pharmacy, he handed the reports of Aether’s medical history when he oversaw the checking the traveler’s health and condition during his stay in Mondstadt. When Albedo finished inspecting the traveler’s current condition, he lead the operation with Baizhu as he dubbed the power of salinification as “Halokinesis”, an ability that can create, shape and manipulate using salt.

With the news of Aether almost defeated by the hands of the “masked man”, Ningguang almost rally all the Millelith if it was not for Zhongli volunteering to take the matters in his hands.

Zhongli got all the information he needed to finally move on his own- the endless rain in Guyun Stone Forest, the Salinification Incident and Paimon reporting that the masked man looked a lot like a certain man they lost a year ago.

The consultant did not bother going to Mingyun Village- he knew where to find the answer he was seeking.

He traversed to Sal Terrae and he was right- the area was infested by water and geo elementals that he was familiar with. He made his way all through until the last chambers of Sal Terrae. And who greeted him was the masked man Paimon told him about.

But Zhongli knows who this man is.

By the center of the room was the stranger absorbing the remnants of Sal Terrae’s elemental power. The hydro and geo elementals were dancing around him, as if they were welcoming him home.

“Childe.”

Zhongli called out to the man as his amber eyes met his blue. The consultant was pained upon seeing the once glimmering eyes of the Snezhnayan turn dull.

“You’re alive.”

Even then, “Childe” did not reply to the call of the name. Instead, he summoned two hydro blades and attacked Zhongli.

Zhongli immediately blocked the attack and set a distance between them.

“Childe, I do not wish to fight you!”

Yet, ignored again as Childe continued to attack the consultant without hesitation. This prompted Zhongli to summon his spear.

“Childe, don’t you recognize me?”

“I know who you are. Rex Lapis, Morax, the Exuvia… The God of Contracts and the God of War… but as a mortal, you live as Zhongli…”

“Then, why-“

“You are my god’s enemy.”

Zhongli knew who Childe was referring to.

“You’re being deceived by Osial!”

“How ironic, coming from you. Did you not deceive my mortal shell as well?”

“That’s-“

Before Zhongli could give a proper response, Childe turned his hydro blades into a polearm and lunged towards Zhongli again. This time, the Archon was pushed hard to the corner.

He noticed how Childe’s strength grew in a span of a year. However, he knew that Childe’s strength seep from his hatred and malice of what happened to him. And he knew Osial was abusing the darkness enveloping within Childe’s heart.

Before Zhongli could stand up, Childe stabbed Zhongli’s left shoulder and pinned him to the ground with it. Then, Childe reached towards Zhongli’s chest and forcefully grabbed the Gnosis out of his body.

“I knew this would lure you out.”

“So… All of those… deaths… Just to lure me out?”

“Not really. I also want to see your precious Liyue suffer.”

Realization struck Zhongli. Childe’s change was too drastic. He knew that the Childe back then would not involve or harm the weak… but this Childe before him right now was ruthless and merciless.

Leaving the injured Archon, Childe placed the Gnosis within his own chest and began to finish collecting the elementals he was here for. Then, he passed by the weakened Zhongli.

“With this, I can release my master and claim his rightful place.”

“Childe, he’ll dispose you once he gets what he wants from you…”

“At this point, I believe I’m used of being used and thrown away. You should know about this, Morax.”

“Childe…”

Before completely leaving, Childe looked back at him one more time.

“My name is not Childe. I am Haiyan, Osial’s adeptus of the salt and the sea.”

Notes:

Serious chapter.
I'm sorry :(
I feel I rushed it.

Halokinesis - one's ability to manipulate or create things out of salt.
Hǎiyán (海盐) - literally means seasalt.

I'm gonna think things through before I continue to the next chapter.

Chapter 4: To give up or to try once more?

Summary:

“Take me with you, Guizhong.”

But Guizhong shook her head.

“Guizhong, I am tired. Let me be with you.” Zhongli attempts to reach out to her hand, but she kept moving further and further away.

“You can’t yet, Zhongli…” Guizhong said with her gentle voice. “You still have someone to save, yes?”

Notes:

I have been busy raising my Xiao that it pre-occupied me too much that I have not made an update of this for almost a week.
But here it is!
Again, please mind the tags! Very important!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Zhongli found himself in an endless patch of Glaze Lilies. He felt nostalgia as he walked and walked and walked… Zhongli attempted to touch the blooming Glaze Lily, only for it to cower into a bud.

He, then, heard a laugh.

“Silly Zhongli, have you forgotten how you should approach a Glaze Lily?”

Zhongli looked back and saw Guizhong.

“Guizhong… You’re-“

“No, Zhongli. I have left the world many centuries ago.”

“Then… How come I am with you right now?”

“You are in a limbo… A realm between life and death.”

The Limbo… Is he dying?

Zhongli remembered what happened. He faced the Adeptus Haiyan, the one he knows as Childe. He got overpowered by the Adeptus and had his Gnosis taken. He was left heavily injured physically at Sal Terrae, mentally and emotionally exhausted as well.

He will not be surprised that all of his forms are in the verge on dying, especially that his Gnosis was also taken. At this point, Zhongli believed it is time for him to rest his weary body and soul.

“Take me with you, Guizhong.”

But Guizhong shook her head.

“Guizhong, I am tired. Let me be with you.” Zhongli attempts to reach out to her hand, but she kept moving further and further away.

“You can’t yet, Zhongli…” Guizhong said with her gentle voice. “You still have someone to save, yes?”

“I cannot reach him anymore… Osial took him completely.”

Zhongli knelt down on the patch on Glaze Lilies. He has broken down and tears were falling from his eyes. Guizhong walked back towards him and hugged the Archon.

“Back then, didn’t you try everything to save me from Osial?”

Zhongli reminisced a memory about the Archon War. Havria’s death corrupted Osial. The God of the Sea targeted Guizhong and corrupted her as well… Zhongli had tried to free Guizhong from the control of the corrupted god. He managed to, but the wounds she received from the Archon War slowly extinguished her life.

“I was not able to save you… I was not able to protect Havria and Osial… Without my Gnosis now, how could I save Childe?”

“And you… will leave him to his demise?”

“Guizhong… Tell me, what can I do?”

“Face him not as Morax nor Rex Lapis, but as Zhongli…”

Guizhong’s ethereal body began to disappear and Zhongli struggled to catch the fragments. The Glaze Lily patched began to turn into nothingness as well.

“Guizhong… Please… I can’t… I can’t do this anymore.”

As Zhongli broke down again to tears, Guizhong’s last words to him jolted him back to his senses.

“He’s still within that Adeptus Shell. Break him free, Zhongli… Only you can save him…”

---

Haiyan returned to his Master’s domain.  He was able to freely leave the domain due to Osial slowly being able to open up the seal of the prison, and that little opening pave way for him to go in and out of the Guyun Domain.

He walked towards the slowly restoring throne. It was a signal that Osial was slowly recovering his powers. And now, he has the final key to restore it all.

The God of the Sea was sitting on it while smirking at the good result of his Adeptus’ return. Haiyan bowed down his head to pay his respects. “I have what you needed, Master. I have also left the Archon in a fatal state.”

“Held your head up high, my Adeptus. You have done well. Now, present to me the Gnosis.”

Without hesitation, Haiyan took out the Gnosis from his chest and handed it to Osial. The God received it and held it temporarily to his hand. The Gnosis was starting to lose its glimmer.

The process of transfer somehow tired out Haiyan. Osial noticed it and called upon his Adeptus.

“Haiyan, come here.”

The Adeptus listened and walked towards his Master. Haiyan sat on Osial’s lap and rested his head on his shoulder. The God brushed the Adeptus’ hair which made Haiyan mewl.

“Now, what reward does my Adeptus want?”

“Oh… Master, I cannot impose. Fulfilling your desire and just being by your side are enough for me…”

Osial grinned. He truly got a hold of the former mortal. However, he knew it was not enough. He has Childe’s body and mind, but how about his heart?

Sometimes, the God would catch his Adeptus mentioning the name “Zhongli”, Morax’s mortal name.

He took a hold of Childe’s everything except his heart. The heart still belongs to Morax. He does not want Childe romantically, that is for sure. His own heart died the day Havria died. Yet, the feeling of his own prisoner still longing for Morax was a thorn on his plans.

To completely take control of his own powerful Adeptus, any lingering thoughts of his past self must be gone- even the feelings of the heart must be discarded.

And yet, Morax’s hold on this mortal’s heart was strong.

He must break the remaining mortality of his Adeptus.

To the very core of his heart… Even if he will be nothing but a puppet.

Osial does not need friends nor allies. He needs followers, even if he has to force them into his submission. And that will happen once he breaks this man’s heart.

Childe… Haiyan will be his puppet.

A puppet who will slay down his enemies for him.

A puppet who will satisfy his desires, may it be using his body or the power he gave his Adeptus.

A puppet that doesn’t need anything else but a scrape of praise coming from him.

A puppet that will do anything for him for a mere acceptance.

Just one more step…

Holding unto the Gnosis, Osial began to transfer a part of his power over the Gnosis. The takeover began to change the ruined domain into a more “presentable” domain. It’s a signal that Osial’s power have recovered.

Placing the Gnosis to his own chest, Osial commanded the prison that bound him to rise from the sea.

Liyue began to feel the massive tremor the rising of the Domain was causing. The Qixing was alarmed of the earthquakes and aftershocks. Millelith that are on patrol in Guyun Stone Forest immediately reported the change in the formation of the rocks within the islands.

The Qixing immediately gave an order of evacuation of civilians to Qingce Village, esp. to the children and the elderly.

Aether was amongst the volunteers for the evacuation. Ningguang said that the traveler still needed to recuperate, but thanks to Albedo and Baizhu’s medicine, the Salination of his right arm stopped and will soon be functional again. He cannot sit idly as Liyue will face their greatest trial yet.

The Adepti arrived to help the Qixing as well. While the Qixing was rallying up their forces, the Conqueror of Demons was the first one to move towards the ominous Guyun Stone Forest.

Osial noticed the dangerous enemy coming for him. As he was busy preparing for the restoration of his domain, he commanded Haiyan to deal with the Yaksha.

Now donning a more sinister transformation with a scythe on his hand, Haiyan confronted Xiao at the gates of Osial’s domain.

“I knew I should have finished you off before.”

Xiao said as he deals the first strike. Haiyan remained quiet and defended himself from Xiao’s continuous assault.

The Yaksha’s spear clashed against the Adeptus’ scythe.

Osial looked at the battle transpiring before him.

“Ahh, doesn’t this feel like the Archon War again?”

---

Zhongli opened his eyes. The ruins of Sal Terrae welcomed him again back to reality- his Gnosis was taken away from him. Childe has turned into Osial’s adeptus.

He also began to feel a disturbance in his Liyue.

Osial’s seal broke and he was finally free.

Wasting no time, Zhongli stood up and began to walk away from the chambers of where it all started. But then, he felt someone else was behind him. When he looked back, only shocked painted his face.

Who he saw was none other than the fuse that started the demise that will be known as the Archon War.

“Havria.”

The ethereal form smiled at him, and then it began to speak.

“This has been long overdue, Morax. Please, let his weary heart rest.”

“I know, my dear friend. But he has my Gnosis now.”

“You’ve defeated him before you have been given a Gnosis.”

“I might lose myself if I attempt that, Havria.”

“You won’t, because you have someone to save… right?”

“Do you really want me to do this, Havria?”

“He is not himself anymore. He lost himself the moment he lost me. He is now nothing but a corrupted god… Give him the eternal rest he deserves.”

“Havria…”

“I shall give you the last remaining power that his Adeptus was not able to take. Morax… It’s time to end this once and for all.”

The ethereal Havria pulled out what seemed like an Oculi and commanded it to go towards Zhongli. The god absorbed the Oculi and felt a warm and soothing energy he was familiar with.

The ethereal form smiled for the last time before disappearing.

“Let me unite with my beloved Osial… And unite yourself with your beloved mortal… God of Contracts.”

Notes:

Happy Ending? What's that?
---
Oof. I feel like I'm diverging from the requested Osial x Childe, but I'm trying not to.
Because... :^)
Also... the upcoming chapters might be disturbing and might leave a bad taste on your mouth. Just a fair warning!
(Because the author likes their angst with a bit of blood and violence.)

Chapter 5: Lose Yourself

Summary:

Xiao then recognized the same scenario- back at the Archon War, he was used as a puppet to obey an evil god. If it wasn’t for Morax, he would probably have been killed during that time. This time, Zhongli was saving Childe like how he was saved before.

Although he is not Zhongli, he wanted to impart what his god told him when they first met.

“Do not let anyone pull your strings. You are not a marionette for the whims and greed of this god. Do not lose yourself, Childe.”

Notes:

I feel like Xiao might be out of character, but hopefully it's not the case.
---
I feel like this is rushed, but I want to update this so bad.
Hopefully I don't get another writer's block.
ENJOY!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

When did Childe’s misfortune started?

Was it when he fell into the Abyss and killed the young and innocent Ajax that gave birth to what will become Tartaglia, the 11th Harbinger?

Was it when his Childe persona began to crumble under the friendship of the Wangsheng Funeral Consultant, Zhongli?

Was it when Childe began to fall in love with the consultant?

Was it when Tartaglia lost the match against Aether at the Golden House?

Was it when Childe learned that Zhongli was his target, Rex Lapis, Morax the Geo Archon?

Was it when Tartaglia was abandoned by Tsaritsa because of his failure?

Was it when Osial had imprisoned him and took him as his servant, turned him into an Adeptus meant to be a puppet of Destruction?

When did truly Childe lost himself?

Who is he truly?

Is he Ajax, Childe, Tartaglia or Haiyan?

Right now, he is Haiyan, the Adeptus of the God of the Vortex. He is currently engaging in a deathmatch with Morax’s last Yaksha, the Conqueror of Demons. Alatus, also known as Xiao, was on the intent of killing him on the spot. And yet, the Yaksha was barely keeping up with his current persona.

What has he had become?

What monster had he become that even Morax’s powerful Yaksha can’t even lay a scratch on him?

He looked at his reflection on the water. He is Haiyan. He is currently and will be Haiyan forever. Only Osial had sheltered him on the day everyone abandoned him on that fateful day.

A year after in Teyvat, he resurfaced to the world as Haiyan. He only listens to the order of his God, his Master. The Liyuens and the Fatui attack him and called him a monster. Aether found him and became hostile to him.

As for Zhongli, he did not lay the first strike to him. The consultant only defended himself from Haiyan’s attacks. The god of war did not even fight him. Instead, he remembered the genuine concern painted on the eyes of the Archon.

Childe.

He calls out to him.

Childe, I do not wish to fight you.

He calls that name again.

Childe, please… Let’s go home.

He calls out before he left Sal Terrae.

No, I am not Childe. I am Haiyan, I am the Adeptus of the Salt and the Sea…

So… why does his scythe tremble on his hands?

Why can’t he finish the wounded Yaksha before him?

---

Xiao was the first to strike, but the first to be tired out. The abnormal Adeptus was just defending his continuous attacks. It seems like the barrage of thrusts did not even faze the monster before him. Even with his Yaksha mask donned, the enemy was not harmed in the slightest. How could this Adeptus born from malice and hatred be this powerful where he should be able to deal with demons easily.

Then, it dawned to him.

Xiao isn’t facing a demon.

He’s facing a possible newborn God.

He looked at himself. His spear had turned white, petrified from the salinification Haiyan caused. His mask became stained of the white petrification as well. The Adeptus-God slowly walked towards him and raised his scythe on the air.

Xiao was prepared for his death when he realized that the Adeptus before his was trembling.

He, then, remembered his discussion with Zhongli, who was none other than his god, Morax.

---

Verr Goldet had led a man called Zhongli towards the terrace of Wangshu Inn where Xiao was staying. The boss nodded and left.

With a bowl of Almond Tofu, Zhongli had called out to his real name.

“Alatus, Conqueror of Demons.”

Xiao appeared to Zhongli, ready to refuse the presence of the Liyuen man but he felt a familiar aura within Zhongli. His appearance, his amber eyes and dark ash brown hair… all felt relatively recognizable to him.

Before him was his god, his savior. He is alive and well.

“My Lord Morax-“

“Xiao, I go by Zhongli now.”

“Lord Zhongli.”

Then, Zhongli told him of things that aspired. He told him of the truths, of how he wished to retire and live as a mortal, of how the events of last year were his test to Liyue’s independence. He told him of his plans and its changes because of a certain man.

Zhongli’s first impression of Childe was an enemy sent by Tsaritsa after his Gnosis, so he marked the Harbinger as a hostile presence. His time with the Harbinger, however, managed to mellow Zhongli’s impression of the Snezhnayan- to the point that the mark he imprinted to Childe became a protection.

He knew Childe’s every action from the very start. He noticed how their presence together were starting to be genuine. But, somehow, he couldn’t tell Childe who he is. He told himself that once his trial for Liyue is over, he will confide of everything.

But it backlashed to him, He was not able to convey to Childe properly and the Harbinger felt betrayed after knowing that he was his target all along. He tasked Aether to assist the Qixing and the Adepti after Childe unleashed Osial in his anger.

Zhongli approached Childe, but the Harbinger transformed to his Foul Legacy the second time. However, Childe’s exhaustion was visible and was easily defeated by Zhongli. In his attempt to approach again, Childe escaped the Golden House all battered and wounded. The Archon attempted to chase Childe, but he lost his presence in Guyun Stone Forest near Osial’s prison and domain.

And now, Zhongli was telling Xiao that Childe had resurfaced and met Aether. He also informed that the traveler was injured. It made Xiao angry and wanted to confront Childe but Zhongli said that he will handle it.

“I will try to persuade him. However, if something happens to Liyue, you have to assist the Qixing with the other Adepti.”

“Why does it sound like you’re going on a suicide mission, Zhongli?”

“Do not worry. I will be careful.”

“Morax, I worry for you. My Lord, if what you said is indeed what happened to him, then Osial had complete control over him. Saving him would be futile at this point. It will only endanger you or anyone who attempts to save him.”

“I will save him, and Liyue.”

“He had done many crimes unforgivable, My Lord. Your people will not be able to forgive him for the deeds he has done as both a Harbinger and Osial’s Adeptus.”

“Then, I will do anything in my power to achieve peace between them.”

“Your faith for this man… I cannot understand.”

“Just believe in me, Xiao. He still has his humanity. Trust me.”

---

This is what Zhongli meant.

Somehow, deep within the Adeptus shell of Haiyan, the mortal that Xiao’s Lord mentioned was still intact. Behind the corrupted aura that Osial enveloped him, Xiao felt a feint trace of Geo energy, a familiar one in fact.

This is what his Lord meant.

Haiyan still has his humanity; Childe was still in there… and Osial was not in full control.

Taking this opportunity, Xiao blasted a powerful Anemo directly at the fazed Haiyan and grabbed his salinated spear and make a run for it. He’s too injured to continue to fight, and someone else from the Adepti could attempt to dispel Childe’s corruption.

Xiao then remembered a certain Exorcist Verr Goldet hired way back then. Perhaps he could help?

“So, this is the Yaksha Morax is so proud about?”

Xiao was met with a wall of Hydro, blocking his path to escape. He felt a surging water forming beside Haiyan, clutching his shoulder.

Osial has surfaced to Liyue.

“Yet, here is my own… Unable to finish a weakened Yaksha himself.”

“Master, forgive me. I-“

“Enough, I shall punish you later. For now, I will deal with one of Morax’s vanguard first.”

The God of Vortex pushed Haiyan aside and commanded his control of Hydro to surround the Yaksha. The Hydro crept closer and closer towards Xiao and was about to consume him when the water began to freeze and breaks.

Osial felt four more presence approaching near the Yaksha- a jiangshi wielding a short sword, a brown-haired young lady wielding a spear, an indigo-black haired girl carrying a red panda and a young man with blonde hair.

While Osial was familiar with the blonde, which he learned from Haiyan as Aether the Traveler, the rest of the entourage were unquestionably citizens of Liyue. Observing more of the group, Osial concluded that it was the jiangshi that froze his Hydro, seeing that she possessed a Cryo Vision.

The jiangshi immediately tended to the injured Adeptus while the rest were in a readied stance- should Osial or Haiyan attack, they are readying for it.

“Why are we bothering with trying to save that bad guy?” the brown-haired young lady complained.

“Cocomilk Merchant not bad guy, Qiqi believes.” the jiangshi, Qiqi, replied. “Qiqi trusts Cocomilk Merchant and will save him.”

“Qiqi, he tried to destroy Liyue!” Hu Tao raised the argument, but this time it was Aether who gave a response.

“Let us hold unto Zhongli’s words for now and trust him. Childe is just… misguided. There’s still hope!”

“Yeah, I agree with Aether. I personally believe someone like Mister Childe wouldn’t be bad as you think, Lady Hu Tao! I trust my gut feeling!” the one holding the red panda said.

“Xiangling, are you sure it’s your gut feeling or it’s just your stomach grumbling?”

Seeing the “relaxed” atmosphere before him, Osial was starting to lose his patience. Without any warning, he commanded his Hydro powers to attack the group but the other party was fast to respond.

Aether managed to block the attack with a geo construct while Hu Tao and Xiangling vaporized the incoming Hydro. While fending off the God’s attacks, Qiqi continued to treat Xiao’s wounds on the side. The Adeptus may have been used on working alone, but Aether managed to mellow him out and was able to meet Aether’s companions who treated him as part of them.

And just like him, they are treating Childe as part of such companionship. He stood up from where he was seated, and thanked Qiqi for treating his wounds. He, then, looked at the other Adeptus who was in a confused state and called out to him.

“If you still think that you were discarded and set aside, then how are you going to explain this… Childe?”

His words gathered the attention of Haiyan.

“Look around you, Childe. The traveler and his companions are trying to save you! Stop clinging to someone who would just abandon you when he is done using you!”

Haiyan remained silent but painted on his face was everything Xiao needed to see.

Realization and regrets- these had dawned to the other Adeptus before him.

“Will you still remain a puppet and become someone you are not? Wake up, Childe!”

Xiao then recognized the same scenario- back at the Archon War, he was used as a puppet to obey an evil god. If it wasn’t for Morax, he would probably have been killed during that time. This time, Zhongli was saving Childe like how he was saved before.

Although he is not Zhongli, he wanted to impart what his god told him when they first met.

“Do not let anyone pull your strings. You are not a marionette for the whims and greed of this god. Do not lose yourself, Childe.”

As if the words Xiao spoke were arrows straight to his heart, Haiyan’s façade began to revert back to Childe. His “Foul-Legacy”-like form began to slowly crumble as he hears the calls of his “companions”.

He knelt to the ground and hold unto his tainted-colored hair. He doesn’t know what to do at that point.

Osial noticed the wavering coming from his puppet-adeptus and stopped his assaults. He immediately went to his Haiyan. Something must be done or else he will lose his only ace. However, he felt that his control over the puppet-adeptus was slowly fading.

He has no choice.

Unfolding before the group was Osial taking out the now-corrupted Gnosis from his chest. He forcefully implanted the corrupted Gnosis to Haiyan which made the puppet-adeptus scream in pain and agony. The calamity god’s power was too much for his current self to bear- compared to when he got it from Zhongli.

“It wouldn’t end up this way if you solely just obey me.”

Haiyan continued to howl in anguish. Osial retreated to his restored domain and commanded Haiyan his Final Order.

“Give your life to me... and sacrifice your everything. Drown Liyue in eternal waters. This is your last order, my dear Haiyan. Let your blood be the poison of this land!”

As Osial disappeared from their sight, the group noticed that the sea water around them were rising abruptly. They saw that the puppet-adeptus were the one releasing the flow of water. Salination was also present, petrifying those near the “Eye of the Storm”.

The puppet-adeptus eyes was devoid of anymore luster and color- half of him was Haiyan, and half of his was Childe.

Sadly, at that moment, he was slowly losing himself.

Notes:

Proto-Chapter 5 was discarded.

I don't think this is still... that bad.

---

Also, sorry for the delay update! I had some writer's block to deal with.

Fun fact: Instead of puppet, I subconsciously type pupper. If you see this typo, please do inform me!

---

Thanks for reading!

Chapter 6: Taking the Mantle of War Once More

Summary:

Today ends this long-time feud he has postponed for many centuries.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Not again.

Haiyan screamed and wailed. Not this again, he thought to himself. He is going to be abandoned, just like his other selves.

The Innocent Ajax was abandoned by the Abyss Ajax.

The Son, Ajax, was dropped off by his father to the claws and fangs of the Fatui, the dark side of Snezhnaya.

Ajax was discarded to become Tartaglia, the 11th Fatui Harbinger of the Cryo Archon, Tsaritsa.

Childe was fooled by who he thought was a friend amidst his darkness- the former Geo Archon.

Tartaglia was cut from the loving yet cold embrace of the Tsaritsa, abandoned in some foreign land.

Now, it was his turn.

Haiyan continued to screech and call upon his Master but to no avail. Osial has no more use for him, except to become a ticking time bomb that will flood Liyue to endless waters. Each release of Hydro takes away a drop of his life and until his last breath, Osial will not move from his restored throne to save him.

It suffocates him to the point that he wants to stab himself instead and end his life on the spot. But his own body did not let him- as if he does not own it anymore.

“Maaaster…!!!” He begged and called Osial’s attention once more. But his pleas get ignored again. “An…other chaaance!!!” Yet his voice falls over intended deaf ears. Osial has returned to his own realm, waiting for the result of his Adeptus’ final sacrifice.

“Such a shame…” Osial said as he observed from afar. “If you only you have listened to me, I would have not resort to this. But, you have served your purpose… With that corrupted Gnosis and your life blood, Liyue shall know my eternal damnation. And if that wasn’t enough, I will use another. Perhaps that injured Yaksha can replace you.”

His laughter roars in his empty throne room. And he stopped and looked again at the suffering Haiyan.

A tug to his heart… What does it mean?

Was he starting to care?

No, he told himself. This Childe was only meant to be used against Morax and his Liyue. He steeled his heart. There is no way he cares.

Only Havria, only Havria dwells in his heart.

No one else.

Not even his love for himself.

---

Haiyan continued to scream. He looked at the direction of Osial’s domain and stretched out his arm to reach it.

Did you not tell Morax you are used to being used?

Did you not pride yourself in turning Zhongli away?

So why are you desperately asking for help?

So why are you asking for salvation?

So why is your heart seeking for Zhongli?

His inner thoughts were disrupted when he heard a large number of footsteps coming to his way. Coming out from ships and large boats, platoons of Millelith began to gather with the Qixing on command. Ningguang, the Tianquan of Liyue Qixing, was leading the Millelith and marching towards his direction.

He saw the blonde traveler approached Ningguang and gesturing to stop the attack, but Ningguang didn’t even budge and made the Millelith on standby, surrounding Haiyan.

“He can still be talked wto, Lady Ningguang! Please call them off.”

“I have given your team enough time to converse with him, and even the other Adepti agreed that this is not worth risking the people of Liyue.”

Ningguang raised her hand and the Millelith brought out the Guizhong Ballistae replicas. The Adepti has agreed to share a fair amount of their power towards Ningguang’s Millelith. The catalyst users mounted the platforms and began to take aim towards the rampaging Haiyan.

Aether was still trying to plea for mercy, but Ningguang ordered for the Traveler’s party to be extracted from the fight, including the Adeptus Xiao. When the catalyst users signaled the Tianquan that they are ready, Ningguang raised her hand again and commanded to attack the rampaging Adeptus.

“Fire!”

Surge after surge of energy blasted towards Haiyan’s direction. In retaliation, without control over his own power, Haiyan constructed white geo constructs as defense mechanisms. He summoned elementals against his will to fight the Millelith, at the expense of his own life energy.

---

“We have to do something, at least!”

Aether’s wounds were being tended back to the makeshift camp near the teleport waypoint that their team set up before rescuing Xiao. Injuries were being tended by Qiqi and Madame Ping, esp. Xiao’s wounds that are the worst of them all.

The other Adepti were with them, concentrating in providing aid to the Millelith in empowering the Guizhong Ballistae.

“One knows how you are concerned over the mortal, but one upholds to the contract to protect Liyue at all costs.” Cloud Retainer said. “The Adepti are bound by the contract, and so we obey.”

“But Zhongli said…” Aether protested, but was interrupted by Mountain Shaper.

“Morax said to assist the Qixing in protecting Liyue, and thus we assist the mortals.”

Madame Ping spoke in turn. “Do not fret, Traveler. We are only lending them power to weaken the rampaging vessel. We have to trust Morax when he returns.”

“But if it is out of control, we must do what needs to be done. A single life should not weigh the same as the whole Liyue.” Moon Carver said.

Aether could only hope that Morax, Zhongli, will come in time- before it’s too late.

Meanwhile, Ningguang continued the assault towards the storm caused by Haiyan. However, it was not enough to stop Haiyan’s rampage towards them.

Ningguang was being careful not to actually harm the corrupted Adeptus, as Zhongli (who she just learned to be Morax recently, before this whole ordeal transpired) asked her to save Childe, the monster before them.

Zhongli was asking her to gamble but Ningguang had given Aether’s team enough time to “wake” the corrupted Childe, only to result to a full-scale fight against Osial. She has deemed the situation unsalvageable, as the one Zhongli wanted to save had went berserk, endangering not only the surrounding lands but became a threat to the whole nation of Liyue.

The Millelith around her was falling down one by one, due to the immense Salinifaction caused by Haiyan. She cannot bear any of her soldiers to perish.

And thus, it left her no choice.

“Ganyu, tell our defense to protect me. We have spared enough time for Zhongli. Anything further than this and these waters will be our men’s graves.”

Ganyu was hesitant, as she was known to trust Morax’s words. However, the situation is dire, and she obeyed Ningguang’s command. The guards began surrounding Ningguang, who began to gather the borrowed the Adeptal energy. She was not as strong as the traveler in handling all the energy at once, but it was at least one of their best shots to stop Haiyan.

She cannot wait for Zhongli anymore. It was a desperate attempt. Should they fail here, Liyue will suffer greatly.

What is one life compare to the nation of Liyue?

Surely, Morax will understand…

Even if it breaks the contract, she will suffer the Wrath of the Rock alone for Liyue.

---

Zhongli immediately left Sal Terrae and make his way to a nearby teleporter to warp his way to Guyun Stone Forest.

His sudden appearance surprised those who are by the camp. Zhongli appeared before them wearing a hooded white cloak and his arms were of geo construct, much like his appearance on the Liyue Statues.

“Zhongli!” Aether immediately approached the god. “You have to stop Ningguang! They’re going to kill Childe!”

Zhongli observed the situation and looked from afar. Ningguang was channeling a large amount of borrowed Adeptal energy. Abruptly stopping it might cause more harm than good. He went passed by the camp, waiting for the right time, and immediately dashed his way to the fight.

When Ningguang unleashed her empowered Starshatterer, Zhongli leaped to the corrupted Haiyan, unaffected by the Salinifaction, and called upon his Jade Shield, shielding him and Haiyan from the spell.

“I will have order!”

The skies darken, and a massive geo-constructed meteor began to fall from the sky. Once it hits the waters, all of the elementals and monsters around the area were petrified. Due to its immense elemental surge, the Guizhong Ballistae stopped functioning as well.

When the dust and smoke were cleared, Zhongli was seen carrying the unconscious body of Haiyan who was still unleashing uncontrollable number of elemental bursts that are endangering his life. Zhongli stared intensely at Ningguang and the Millelith. His anger was felt, and it sent chills down the spine of the Tianquan. He will deal with them later- Childe’s safety is his priority.

Zhongli ripped the corrupted Gnosis from Haiyan’s body. He began to cleanse the Gnosis of its blight and claim it again as his own. As soon as it was purified, Zhongli placed it back to his chest. However, Haiyan was still unstable, and his life was still in danger.

He conjured the Oculus that was given to him by the Ethereal Form of Havria. He placed it to Haiyan’s chest. A strong yet soothing surge of elemental energy scattered towards the battlefield. The Salinification abruptly stopped, and most of the white geo-construct crumbled. Most of the victims whose body were afflicted were slowly recovering, including Aether’s right arm.

Haiyan slowly opened his eyes, and saw himself cradled in Zhongli’s arms. Albeit surprised, he had no energy to complain about his current situation now. His Haiyan facade slowly crumbled, returning him to his Childe persona.

“Z… Zhongli… I…”

“Conserve your energy, Childe. You’ve exhausted too much.”

“I’m… sorry… This mess… Ahh… I’m sorry, Zhon…gli… I hurt… a lot… of people…”

“It’s okay, Childe. It’s not your fault.”

“But… Zhongli… I… killed your people… I’m sorry… Zhongli… Sorry…”

“We’ll settle this matter later, alright? For now, please do take a rest.”

Childe nodded and closed his eyes to drift to sleep. He felt that he was finally freed of a heavy burden. Zhongli erected a Stone Steele, placed down Childe to rest, and constructed a Jade Shield to protect him.

He looked at the direction of the Qixing. Yet, he only called out for Ganyu.

“Tell the traveler to retrieve Childe here, Ganyu.”

“As you wish, Lord Morax.”

Ganyu hurriedly went and obeyed Zhongli’s orders.

---

With his Gnosis recovered, and Childe in safe hands, Zhongli felt a return of his powers the day he became the Geo Archon of Liyue. He does not want to rely on it, but it was an advantage he needs to take to fight against the Calamity.

He looked at the direction of Osial’s domain, making his presence known. He promised Guizhong and Havria…

Today ends this long-time feud he has postponed for many centuries.

Notes:

Childe Re-run!
I beg of you, Mihoyooooo :(
Give me at least a C0 of my Angst Husband... T__T

Chapter 7: A War God's Glimmer of Hope

Summary:

Morax prayed to Celestia that Osial would be the last of his friends who send to their graves this way- through a warpath.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The earth rumbled and crashed towards the rushing waters. Storms were created in two or more forms- sand, rocks, typhoon, water, and whirlpools. What was thought to be a full-scale war became a duel to the death of Liyue’s two old gods.

Morax had instructed the Adepti to clear the area- for the battle would only worsen from this point. The Milelith with the Qixing retreated to a safer distance where they can watch the battle transpire.

Meanwhile, Aether and his team, alongside with the Adepti, was in charge of protecting Childe. When Aether asked for additional medical assistance from the Qixing and the Milelith, they hesitated to lend an aid. For the people of Liyue, Childe was Haiyan, the evil Adepti that was sent by Osial to terrorize their lands.

They fear him, and they fear to further be involved with who Morax wanted to protect. If they made a mistake, they will suffer the Wrath of the Rock. Yet, they knew that they will suffer it anyways since they broke the contract with their god who requested them to save the Snezhnayan- only for them to reduce the mortal-turned-adeptus into an injured man.

So, they remained neutral and uninvolved.

“Ungrateful…” Aether scowled.

“It’s alright, Aether dear. We’ll heal him.” Madame Ping tapped Aether’s shoulder. “Qiqi dear, would you help me?” The little zombie girl nodded and went with Madame Ping. Together, they tended to the wounded Childe.

“What should we do from here and on, leader?” Hu Tao asked Aether.

“I… don’t know,” Aether replied. “We have Childe in our care, as per Zhongli requested. Either we get out of here and hold our ground as we wait for Zhongli.”

“Are we going with the Qixing?” Xiangling asked as she handed out medicinal food towards the team and the Adepti. Aether’s face twisted in grimace with the mention of the Qixing.

“I rather not. I’m not comfortable with them.” Aether responded. “They broke a promise, and they refuse to assist us. We’re better off with ourselves.”

The Adepti and his teammates agreed in unison.

“Then, I have to secure this place more. There are leftovers of hydro and geo elementals around.” Xiao stood up after resting. His spear still damaged but better than nothing- he clutched to it and prepared for a cleanup. Aether, seeing the damaged spear, procure from his inventory another spear for Xiao to use.

Xiao initially refused, but Aether insisted. “Fine.” Xiao said as he took the spear provided by Aether, and Aether took the damaged spear to his inventory. “We’ll fix it later.” The traveler promised as he conjured his own sword.

“Why are you taking up your weapon? I can handle this alone.” Xiao protested on Aether’s participation, but the traveler is quite insistent on helping him. “Aether, your arm…”

“It’s fine! It was healed!” Aether started to fling his arm back and forth to show Xiao that he can help. “It’s just protecting this area! I’ll back you up!”

Xiao did not bother to disagree and let the traveler help him.

---

Meanwhile, the two gods finally met eye to eye. No words were spoken- just as Osial raise his hand to drag Morax down to drown, Morax retaliate by sending stone spears towards the Lord of Calamity’s direction.

It ends today- the long millennial feud that plagues the land of Liyue. One of them will perish, one of them will be the victor- but both of them as ancient gods won’t stand down without a fight as their lives and the lives of others are at stake. One who fights for vengeance while the other fights for their beloved- who will come out on top of the other’s corpse?

The first to break the silence was Osial who began to insult Morax- words of how Morax soften, took form as the mortal Zhongli and became weak. Zhongli remained unfazed which pissed off the God of Vortex.

He, then, began to malign and say ill words to Liyue, its people, the Adepti, the traveler and his allies. Osial saw Zhongli’s brow twitched for a moment to the mention of other people; his people, his friends, his allies and his companions.

Osial smirked with how he triggered Zhongli’s anger after his next flow of words- he wanted a good fight after all.

“What good would it be to waste your energy on a mere whore, Morax? Are you angry that I took him first, his first night and first time, before you could lay your hand on him? We could always share-“

Words coming from Osial’s voice were not conveyed completely as Zhongli threw a stone spear accurately to the Lord of Vortex’s shoulder. Osial smirked in excitement- Morax was finally getting serious.

“Really, Morax? A disgraced warrior such as him would be your trigger to fight me seriously?”

Yet the Archon remained silent, but his spears became deadlier, faster, and more precise. The adrenaline running through Osial’s veins intensified. Osial pulled out the stone spear from his shoulder and crushed it with his own hands.

Osial internally laughed. This was it; this was the moment he had been waiting for. The Morax before him now was like the Morax during the Archon War. This was the same Morax who pursued him after his involvement with the death of Guizhong.

Osial can only bitterly laugh. How could one mortal like Childe make Morax flip his godly switch like this? Morax did not punish the humans who decided to betray Havria. He even sheltered the abandoned followers. Morax did not punish the humans who made Azhdaha suffer for many years. He sealed their friend instead.

What was the difference with Guizhong?

What is the difference with Childe?

“… Ah, love.” Osial can only mutter as he fended off Morax’s attack. “Of course. You did not cherish Havria and Azhdaha the same way of Guizhong and the mortal boy.”

“You’re wrong. I treasured them-” Morax finally replied.

“Only as family, of course. But love, love is different. It makes or breaks you, isn’t it, Morax?”

“Is it why you’re turning him into Havria-“

Morax was thrown down by a powerful wave of water all of a sudden. He had no time to retaliate with what seem to be an attack out of spite.

“Nobody can replace her, not even him. So, don’t you dare speak of such idea! He’s merely a tool to be used and thrown!”

“If you’d really want him as a mere tool, you wouldn’t have completely sheltered him and just controlled him from the start.”

“I only sheltered him so you can see how I tear him apart in front of you.”

“You did not show any mercy when you were involved in Guizhong’s demise. You showed Childe mercy, as if you care about him-”

“Enough! I shall have your head served on a platter before all of Liyue!”

Morax sensed more of Osial’s hostility growing. And here he thought that Osial could be reasoned with, at least knowing he had hopes that Osial cared about Childe’s well-being. Morax internally sighed, there was no more hope for the former God, his former friend. His corruption was too much- only granting Havria’s wish remains.

Morax prayed to Celestia that Osial would be the last of his friends he would send to their graves this way- through a warpath.

“Osial, you have broken the contract too many times. I have sealed you in hopes that you would be reasoned with, but you have let yourself be corrupted further. Imprisonment is light punishment for all your crimes- death shall be delivered upon you by the Wrath of the Rock.”

“I SHALL END YOU MORAX, YOUR LIYUE AND YOUR HUMAN TRASH!”

The earth rumbled and crashed towards the rushing waters. Storms were created in two or more forms- sand, rocks, typhoon, water, and whirlpools. Stone spears and serpentine-like waves clashed and crashed at each other.

Only one remained the victor- standing on the cold and dead body of the other.

Notes:

It's been so long. But here we go! I deliver.
Sorry that I have to rush this. I want it to end...
Since Childe was already home during his rerun banner...
And thus, no more Childe Angst for me.

 

Oh really? Ehe~

 

But it might take awhile to write the next chapter- the Epilogue- since I'm preparing for a Childe birthday fic!

Chapter 8: The Curtain Falls for the Old Gods

Summary:

Zhongli hesitates to tell Childe about Tsaritsa's findings, but they must confront his beloved's fear.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“It’s over.”

A small, frail voice echoed throughout the silent wasteland of Guyun Stone Forest. The archipelago turned messier than before; not only was it was littered by the aftermath of war, but the number of jagged cliffs increased.

Not only that the newest stone spears of Morax redecorated the place, but the demonic elemental also increased because an old god died in the area. When a god dies, they release an uncontrollable energy that affected their current place of death.

When Osial was defeated at the hands of Morax, there was a strong elemental surge that emerged from the dissipating body of the old god. Morax acted fast and immediately shielded everyone within the vicinity. Due to Osial’s death, the water began to stir violently. Morax immediately commanded Aether’s team and the Adepti to retreat, bringing the unconscious Childe.

From afar, the Guyun Stone Forest submerged to the depths of the deep waters. The old stone spears crumble to dust, and Morax’s new stone spears’ tips were the only ones left to be seen. Whirlpools and hurricanes formed, and thus, Morax was left no choice but to put a permanent seal on the place completely, making the archipelago inaccessible indefinitely.

The source of the frail voice appeared to be the ethereal form of Havria, her body akin to a hydro mimic but firmed by salt. She walked to the place of the final battle. Albeit small, there were traces of Osial. Havria knelt and scooped up a tiny amount of seawater to her hands. The seawater then took a form of a Seelie.

The seelie became aggressive and went far away from Havria. It, then, tried to get away from the Guyun Stone Forest but was deflected by the barrier.

“Calm down, it’s over.”

But the Seelie refused to listen. Instead, it kept on charging full-speed towards the barrier. Havria sighed and she finally took the Seelie to her embrace.

“Osial, you have lost.”

I refuse! I have not yet yielded!

“The age of old gods is over, my love. We are nothing but Morax’s past. He has moved on. Let your hatred go.”

It is not easy to let go; he has to pay for his sins!

“Have you not claimed Guizhong’s life in equal?”

It is not enough!

“Forget your grudge, my love. Slowly recover and let us live our life here.”

I do not want to be a prisoner again!

The Seelie seemed to turn slowly into a corrupted being, and broke free from Havria’s embrace. It tried to past by the barrier once again. Havria can only sigh.

With a defeated look on her face, she opened her hand. Hydro elements began to gather to her hand, as well as Osial’s remnants. The Seelie began to be sucked with it.

Havria!!!

“Forgive me, my love. I am abiding by a contract.”

Havriaaaa!!!

“I have made a deal with Morax, he has given us this place. In return, I shall be its guardian. Should you have agreed to, I would have not do this.”

You dare…!

“By the will of Rex Lapis, I, Havria, former Goddess of Salt and appointed Warden of Guyun Stone Forest, shall seal the corrupted God of Vortex to this prison forever.”

Osial’s deafening howl can be heard in all corners of the sealed stone forest as his remaining form get sealed at a forming stone dumbbell. Once everything was sealed within the dumbbell, Havria looked at the distance, towards Liyue Region.

“Goodbye, Morax. Or should I say, Zhongli?” Havria giggled a bit. She walked towards the water where the Guyun Domain was submerged.

“And with this, the curtain of the old gods comes to a closure. ”

---

Word began to spread that the Adepti are condemning the actions of the Qixing. The Qixing had broken a contract directly requested by Rex Lapis, and regardless of whether the one involved was a criminal or a former Fatui Harbinger, a contract from Rex Lapis is far stronger than the established laws.

It seemed unfair to the eye of the public, but Ningguang immediately admitted her fault and shouldered the blame. With the Tianqian on house arrest indefinitely, Keqing took over the Liyue Qixing and began to make amends to the Adepti.

The Qixing also promised to abolish all charges against Tartaglia and told the public that “The Harbinger was brainwashed and controlled by Osial. Rex Lapis assured his innocence through a contract, but we broke it due to our negligence. We will improve the relations of both side from now on.”

The Qixing also offered the best medical treatment to Rex Lapis’ allies, but the god refused their aid. Bubu Pharmacy already sent Qiqi and Baizhu to Taishan Mansion where the Adepti were resting. Even Aether’s friends were there, refusing to receive aid from the Qixing due to distrust.

A week after, the traveler and Paimon had to leave and set out towards Inazuma. Captain of the Crux Fleet, Beidou, offered a ride for Aether as part of compensation for the troubles the Qixing had caused. But, it was actually Ningguang’s idea from the very beginning. They were hesitant, but the Adepti told Aether to accept the offer as “Beidou is more trusted that the Qixing at this moment.”

A month after Aether left Liyue, Childe began to show signs of waking up and recovering. At first, he was distraught, and showing post-traumatic experiences that even a slight touch would startle him. The first few days, only Qiqi would be allowed in his quarters since the jiangshi somehow had a soft spot to Childe. Then, Madame Ping began to aid Qiqi in nursing Childe back to health.

Slowly, Childe became accustomed to his current life routine. As a new Adeptus, he was informed of the changes in his own body. Most of it were not surprising, but his involvement with the Abyss factors as well. With such clashing force involving Adeptal and Abyss energy, Childe’s health was always monitored as per order of Morax.

Speaking of Morax, Childe had not seen Zhongli ever since that battle in Guyun Stone Forest. He asked Xiao and the other Adepti, and their answer was that Rex Lapis was busy conducting meetings with the Qixing to defend his case alongside Ganyu.

When Childe heard about Zhongli’s return, he immediately asked permission to see him. Like coincidence, Ganyu said that Zhongli asked for him in the guest lounge to meet a very important guest. When Childe arrived at the guest lounge, he felt every painful thing that was attempted to be cured resurfaced again.

Zhongli’s special guest was none other than Tsaritsa, Her Majesty herself.

“Tartaglia.” Tsaritsa called out to her Harbinger, but Childe froze in place. There was sadness in the Cryo Archon’s face, of course she knew what caused her youngest the pain. “I told you Morax, this isn’t a good idea.”

“And for what, dear Tsaritsa, to prolong the misunderstanding our contract caused?”

“Misunderstanding?” Childe finally managed to say a word, albeit soft-spoken. Traces of fear and abandonment still linger in Childe’s memory. From the moment his Delusion deactivated, he knew that the Tsaritsa had abandoned him.

The Tsaritsa stood up from her seat and bowed down to Childe. The action surprised him, wondering why the powerful leader of Snezhnaya was bowing down to someone who failed his mission in Liyue. Before he could speak another word, the Tsaritsa rose from the bow and slowly walk towards him. Her element might be Cryo, but Childe felt a warm, motherly touch when she cupped his cheeks unto her palm.

“It was meant to set you free, but hearing from Morax that cutting my connection to you caused you more harm than good. Forgive me, my Tartaglia…”

“The broken Delusion means my freedom? What do you mean my freedom, Her Majesty? It doesn’t make any sense.”

“A contract.” Morax butted in. “I plan to retire and let the governance of Liyue to the hands of the Qixing.”

“How does that involve me?”

“Morax’s gnosis in exchange of a retirement plan, and a test given to Liyue if they can live without the Rex Lapis. Additionally, I will send a Harbinger to collect the gnosis, and would send someone to teach Morax humanity after the test.”

“The most fitting candidate was you, Childe, in both categories. At first, it was La Signora who was meant to get the gnosis and you were the one to teach the mortal Zhongli of being human. But, I told the Tsaritsa not to send the 8th Harbinger here anymore. However, I did not expect that you would unleash something like the full power of your Delusion and your Foul Legacy to the traveler, and thus, I tried to quell your anger.”

“We convened at the Northland Bank after your encounter at the Golden House. As per deal, I was to assign you here in Liyue to teach Morax more of being human. I cut off the Delusion to make sure not to endanger your health further. But you did not return, only to be captured by Osial.”

“Both of us have broken the contract’s priority, to keep you safe. And thus, we meet again to reform an agreement about the Gnosis but about you, my Tartaglia.”

“What does that suppose to mean? Why did I become suddenly more important than an Archon’s Gnosis?”

“Both of us reached an agreement that we have caused you grief and sorrow for so long, dear Tartaglia.” Tsaritsa released her touch from Childe. “And thus, we give you a choice. You can return home to me, to Snezhnaya. I will ensure to you the best medical expertise to cure the remaining accursed Adeptal energy Osial has put into you. About your Abyssal energy, should you wish to maintain it, I would provide suitable and healthier means for you to control it. Should you wish to remove all traces of the Abyss, I will grant it as well. The Harbinger title will still be yours to keep, and I grant you an indefinite leave until our plans against Celestia. If you do not wish to participate, I am also granting that to you.”

“As for me, you can choose to remain here in Liyue as my Adeptus. We will stabilize your newfound power but that means that the Abyss must be expunged from you, dear Childe. I have also told Tsaritsa that your family from Snezhnaya could live here as honorary guests. Madame Ping will make arrangements to Granny Ruoxin about their stay in Qingce Village. The Adepti will keep a watchful eye towards the Qixing, but will make sure they will not let the Qixing intervene the plans of Snezhnaya. Both nations will be in diplomacy, all for your sake. Should you wish to return home to Snezhnaya, I will respect your decision, Childe. Liyue caused you nothing but pain, and with that I apologize.”

Zhongli knew that returning home to Snezhnaya was Childe’s best choice, yet the Tsaritsa noticed how melancholic the Geo Archon is. It made her laugh a little, a rare trait for the known cold-hearted Archon.

“Oh Morax, don’t be so sad. I’m pretty sure that Tartaglia would choose you than me. After all, you both love each other, no?”

Zhongli spat his drink while Childe hacked a cough.

“Tsaritsa!”

“My lady!”

“You two are fools. Didn’t you think I would not notice? Ekaterina mentioned in her reports that her boss is always skipping work and treating a certain “funeral parlor consultant” while almost emptying the bank’s coffers. Then, I discovered that it was Morax- the god who can even make his own money!”

“That Ekaterina… Katya!!!”

After the friendly banters, Tsaritsa and Morax settled the contract- of Childe’s living conditions- that would benefit the welfare of the young man. He would still be a Harbinger, but can settle in Liyue as Morax’ Adeptus. Tsaritsa strictly disallowed Childe to wield the Delusion and both gods would find means to cleanse the curse Osial put on Childe completely. The Abyssal energy is still on debate.

---

Another month passed by since the Tsaritsa had visited the Taishan Mansion. A sealed enveloped w/ the Cryo Archon’s seal arrived from Snezhnaya to the Mansion’s address.

The night enveloped the Mansion, signaling the end of the day for most of the Adepti. But Zhongli remained to his office, and he asked for someone to call Childe.

“What’s up? You called for me?” Childe beamed a smile. Zhongli admired how fast Childe recovered from the incident.

“A letter from Tsaritsa arrived. It stated the steps on how to slowly purge the curse inlaid into you by Osial.”

“Oh, that’s great news! What is it, Zhongli?”

“According to her, to purify to blighted energy flowing inside you, and to cleanse the Adeptal energy in order for it to stabilize, another god can do a mana transfer to the Adeptus of choice. This way, the leylines would stabilize and-“ Zhongli stopped midway of explaining when he noticed that Childe’s complexion began to pale.

“M-Mana… T-Transfer…? Oh. I-I know that one… That one is… Is there any other way? I m-mean, I don’t mind if it’s needed bu..but…” Childe’s voice was breaking and Zhongli noticed Childe’s labored breathing. Zhongli immediately put down the letter and hugged the tensed-up Childe.

“Breathe, you’ll be fine.”

“I’m okay, Zhongli. Really…”

“I won’t force you to do this. We can just continue using Madame Ping’s treatment.”

“But that would not be as effective as this one. And it costs a lot of resources too.”

“That is true. But I wouldn’t mind it for you.”

“It’s fine, Zhongli. It’s fine.” Childe leaned to Zhongli’s chest for comfort. “I’m not weak! I’m the 11th Harbinger of the Cryo Archon and one of the Adeptus of Rex Lapis… I can do this!”

“Childe… I’ll never force you to something that would hurt you.”

“I know you won’t. That’s why it’s fine to do this.”

With a sigh beforehand, Zhongli kissed Childe’s head for reassurance. He lifted the Snezhnayan to a bridal carry which made Childe flushed.

“Let’s do this somewhere proper, shall we?”

Notes:

Well, I have no excuse for the delay.
Except Inazuma got me busy.
Almost at the end! Hopefully, last CHAPTER.
Thank you!

I knew I said this was the ending, but the ending was taking too long so I split into two.

Chapter 9: The Sea, the Salt and the Betrayal

Summary:

After all, betrayal comes with a heavy price.
The sea knew.
The salt knew.
And now, the Nation of Stalwart Stone will know.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The idea of mana transferring, or elemental transfer was not foreign to Childe. At least, he has the gist of it when he entered the Fatui. Fatui imported Crystal Marrow from Inazuma, high-grade quality of Smaragdus Jades, Cor Lapis and Plaustrite from Liyue and the finest Wolfhooks from Mondstadt.

“Crystal Marrow is needed as base for the Delusion. The rare gems from Liyue are the core. Wolfhooks are known to have high elemental properties for curing wounds and diseases, and we’ve studied how it might help the backlash of using Delusion…” Childe remembered in one of the classroom lessons during his Fatui days. Of course, that was the norm. Delusions are well-crafted, safe for every member. Regular recruits were ensured of its safety, but only high-ranking officials within the organization knew of how it was manufactured.

Dottore’s experiments were an open secret to the Harbingers. When Childe learned about it, he wanted to punch the Doctor so bad. Yet, it has the Tsaritsa’s approval- human blood was a key component to the Delusions. The unstable Delusions were made using human blood. The Harbingers’? Their own Archon’s blood- the so-called Archon’s residue.

However, both were still dangerous to a normal human being. That is why Tsaritsa deemed those who are worthy to wield her own blood a place in her organization.

This is the proof that the Cryo Archon has a strong hold to her soldiers especially to her Harbingers. A connection or pact made of Childe’s homeland god was the strongest honor a Snezhnayan could achieve. Once the Archon severe her ties, it means that the person committed the greatest sin- disappointing the Tsaritsa.

When Childe felt the severance of this pact, he knew that the Tsaritsa had abandoned her. However, Childe learned of the truth. The Cryo Archon never meant to throw him aside; she was setting him free. This caused Childe to fall into the hands of Osial- a misunderstanding that led to Childe’s new life.

That day when Childe surrendered himself to another god, he felt that it was his fate to be abandoned. He allowed himself to be corrupted by Osial, to be poisoned by the sweet whispers entering his ears. In return, Haiyan was born from the accumulated falsehoods. Childe surrendered his body to the God of Vortex, each session sickening and painful. The Corrupted God was rough. There was no trace of gentleness each time Osial touched Childe. Every second, every minute, every hour, every day… Childe would endure hoping that Zhongli would come and save him, or everything was just a bad dream.

But as the days turned into months, Childe gave up hoping. He was starting to accept the notion that Osial was the better option, even if the Calamity God would just use him. Starting from that moment, Childe would be the one to approach his master because the hunger for mana, for the energy or for the touch. Each time Osial responds, he knew he was still needed. He knew he won’t still be abandoned.

He would recall how Osial was so pleased when Childe initiated the sex. He would recall how Osial would call him the lowest of names, the most derogatory of them all, and he would agree. He would beam in delight and respond. He would open his legs and moan for the man he does not love because he thought back then that he doesn’t deserve to be loved. He was beaten, he was abandoned, he was betrayed- anything other than those are starting to be better.

That day, Childe closed off his heart completely.

Yet, fate was cruel. Fate likes to play with him. He met Zhongli at Sal Terrae a year later. Of course, that was part of the plan- lure out the Geo Archon and take his Gnosis. Osial would be please, Osial would reward him. Osial will take his precious Haiyan back to his arms and welcome him back to their home. It was an illusion that Childe embraced, for he does not deserve anything but lies.

“Childe, I do not wish to fight you!”

The tender voice of the man he loved began to crack the heart he sealed off. But at the end, he snatched the Gnosis away from him. Liyue was more important than a discarded pawn, why would Morax bother to save him?

The words of the traveler’s friends and companions, especially Xiao, shook the very last defense he carefully put up for months. They cared, they want him back, Zhongli wants them to save him, to bring him home. Childe emerged from Haiyan, but the cause was losing Osial’s trust to him. He was abandoned again, left to die. However, there was someone who caught him again.

Zhongli.

Zhongli came back for him.

Zhongli saved him.

And here, here he was staring at the golden eyes of his savior, of his beloved Zhongli. Lying on his back on the soft mattress, he was staring at the eyes of the man he loved the most.

“Zhongli…” Childe softly said. “Zhongli… Zhongli, I’m not dreaming, right?”

“You aren’t my love.” Zhongli smiled at him.

“I don’t deserve this, Zhongli. I have killed your people, I have ruined their lives-“

Zhongli gently pressed a finger on Childe’s lip to hush him. “Childe… It is not your fault. I have told you this many times, I am to blame of what happened to you.” The geo archon stroked the ginger’s hair. It was showing that Childe was still a bit uncomfortable, provided that it was only recently that the young man opened up again to anyone. “Again, my dearest, I ask again… Are you sure about this?”

“I- I am.” Childe responded a weak reply. “I can do this, Zhongli. I think that it will also benefit the residents of this abode, I am dwindling our limited supplies.”

“If it’s about the supplies, the Cryo Archon promised to send provisions every now and then.”

“S-Still! The medicinal supplies can be used to other people who needs it more than me. X-Xiao was badly injured. Baizhu and Qiqi probably needs more supplies to accommodate Aether’s friends that got injured as well.”

“Childe…”

“Oh, how about those who were seeking refuge? Please prioritize them before me! They’re your people, Zhongli-“

Zhongli pulled Childe to an embrace, interrupting the Snezhnayan to continue with what he was saying. “Ajax… Whatever line of thought you are thinking right now, dispose of it and listen to me. You are important, and I shall prioritize your welfare more than anyone else. Do not tell yourself again that you are a pawn or a useless person. I promise to you, set in stone, that I will never abandon you again. Everything will be alright, my love. I will be with you always.”

That was the last straw for Childe. Being assured at that moment, Ajax emerged from the deepest part of the Snezhnayan and hugged the Geo Archon tight. All of the bottled up feelings he had endured that day was finally set loose like waves forming and crashing as a tsunami. Zhongli heard the young man sobbed. He gently rubbed the other man’s back to comfort him.

---

When Childe finally calmed down (but still in the Archon’s embrace), he spoke up again of how he was certain he wanted to do the mana transfer. Zhongli respected Childe’s decision and carefully lay down the latter on the bed. He undressed the pale blue silk robe that the ginger was wearing. Zhongli noticed the huge number of scars and bruises left on Childe’s cream skin. While some scars he knew as Childe’s trophy during his battles as a Harbinger, some of them were undeniably caused recently. Zhongli at that moment wished he could just break the contract he made with Havria and killed Osial completely.

The Archon began to thread the scars on Childe’s body slowly. It made the Harbinger shiver. For Childe, it was a sensation he never experienced. His first time with Osial was rough play- rape even. The next sessions were no different.

Mana transfer was not only limited to blood. Sure, Osial would hurt him during sex. He would bleed at every session; new wounds will be left on his body each time Osial would make out with him. Osial would squeeze him of every liquid from his body, and in return, Osial would inject him of his own energy for his body to be conditioned that he does not belong to someone else. The God of Vortex was imprinting him of a drug that brings him euphoria- the very same drug that would one day kill him. That day at Guyun Stone Forest, Osial abandoned him, prompting the energy inside him to let loose. He was a ticking time bomb of elemental energy- Osial’s gift to the Nation of Liyue.

And so, Childe experiencing a much more gentler touch was not familiar with him. He would flinch with Zhongli’s every touch, because it was not Osial touching him. He gave his body to the god of vortex, and so his body knew that it was not his “Master” touching him.

He must endure. He must. He wants Zhongli’s touch now. He wants Zhongli’s love now. His body might be rejecting Zhongli, but not his heart. He craves for Zhongli.

“Zhongli… Zhongli, please. I am not weak. You can be rougher, you can exert more force with me. Replace his touches, Zhongli… Please, please, I beg you.”

Zhongli’s heart began to ache. How much did Osial break his Childe? Again, he was contemplating to break the contract and completely erase Osial from the face of Teyvat. But that doesn’t matter at that moment. Childe needs him. His Childe needs him. Assured that Childe wanted him, Zhongli pressed his lips towards Childe’s. It started with a light kiss, then turned into a passionate one. When Zhongli shifts, he waits for Childe to respond. Their tongues dance in an ensemble, as if they were meant to be.

When Zhongli sets their lips apart, something was crawling out from him. Childe’s facial expression was, as mortals would say, sexy and alluring. The pink flush across Childe’s face turned Zhongli on. Yet, Zhongli thought of something that would make his stomach churn.

Did Osial also witnessed such reactions from Childe?

Jealousy was bubbling inside him.

Something tells him that he really needs to smite the Lord of Vortex one of these days-

“Zhongli? Are you okay?”

Childe’s voice caught Zhongli’s attention back to the former. Zhongli smiled and kissed Childe’s forehead. “Ahh, forgive me for worrying. I was lost in my own selfish thoughts.”

“Let me hear those thoughts, Zhongli. Tell me what worries you.”

Zhongli was hesitating, but the soft look of Childe’s face made him give up. “My selfish thought… It dreaded me to even think about it and share it with you. I was… jealous. Your reddened face, Osial had witnessed it first. It’s so wrong, Childe, to think of this moment. Jealousy and rage are currently burning within me, and I can only feel disgust to myself. I should have saved you earlier, I should have… then for what? Because Osial took you first to his embrace. It’s a sickening thought, I am deeply ashamed of myself. I should prioritize your wellbeing more than my desire…”

“Zhongli… In all honesty, this is the first time I felt this way.” Zhongli’s eyes widen with Childe’s response. The Snezhnayan continued. “Osial… was not gentle. It was all, lust and punishment. It was never for affection. I knew of it, I knew it was not out of pity or care. He wants me to break, and my body and mind just accepts it. I-“ Childe’s voice was starting to break. “I… still feel his hands creeping on me. It’s frightening how much he broke me, Zhongli. I know I’m already a broken man before I even stepped to Liyue but every bit of what’s left was crushed by him. The gentle touches you make? It feels like shaping me to a new life ahead. It’s giving me a chance to live again. So, Zhongli, my dear Zhongli… Please make me forget… Please make me yours, Morax.”

As if that was the cue, Zhongli immediately pinned Childe to the bed. Another kiss resumed their desire for each other, this time, no one was holding back. As their lips parted again, Zhongli whispered to Childe’s ear the words Childe has been wanting ever since.

“I love you.

“Don’t hold back on my account, Zhongli. If I would break, then I want to break under your touch and love.”

“Childe,” Zhongli smiled at the man below him as he disrobed himself. “I would never break you.”

“That’s reassuring, Zhongli. I appreciate it. But you can be rougher, I swear I can handle it.”

“You little rascal, do you want me that much, Ajax?”

“From the very first day I realize I was in love, of course. Don’t get me started. It was hard to hold back!”

“Oh? You would attack the esteemed Consultant of Wangsheng Funeral Parlor? How scandalous and shameless, Ajax.”

Xiangsheng, don’t tease me!”

---

Morning came and Morax was already dressed properly. Childe was still sleeping, so he only left a small peck on to the man’s forehead before leaving their shared room.

Ganyu was already waiting for him. She lead Morax to another room where a tall woman with pale skin, platinum-blonde hair, and light grey eyes was. It was La Signora, the Eighth of the Fatui Harbingers. Morax signalled Ganyu to leave after.

“Morax, I hope you had a good sleep.”

“Let’s cut to the chase, Signora. You are here for business, and only for business, yes?”

“Of course, Morax. Now, the gnosis.”

Morax handed the amber-colored chess piece to Signora’s palm.

“As stated in the contract, the Tsaritsa would leave you and your allies alone as she wage war against the divine. The Eleventh would be under your care indefinitely. He has no idea that him being uninvolved as Tsaritsa marches to the gates of Celestia is the price for your gnosis. I assume that the residents of Taishan know?”

Morax nodded, agreeing to every word Signora was saying.

“Now, to the next question. About the Qixing-“

“They’re not part of the protection. Only those I trust, the Adepti, the traveler’s companions and Childe would be under my custody.”

“Do they know?”

“Only Childe is left in the dark. I see no reason for him to know about this. He is still recovering. He will know in time.”

“Fascinating. The Eleventh doesn’t know that Liyue’s god is starting to punish them because of him. Is this the infamous “Break the contract and suffer the Wrath of the Rock” thing I’ve been hearing lately?”

Morax went silent but Signora knew it was the truth. It takes great patience for Morax to not summon a meteor due to his anger to the Qixing and his people, and but of course, for Childe’s sake.

Oh love, Signora thought to herself. Childe is a lucky man indeed. She closed her eyes and remembered a distant memory- but it’s all in the past.

“Very well, my business here is done. It’s time for me to go to Inazuma and negotiate with the Raiden Shogun about her Gnosis.”

“Thread carefully, Inazuma has changed, Signora.”

When Signora left, Morax returned to his room. Childe was still sleeping. He understood that his beloved’s body was still adapting to the new archonic mana flowing in him. Another color was adding up to he white and light blue hue of Childe’s adeptal arms- gold, Morax’s signature color.

Ironic, Morax thought. He said he wanted to live amongst his people, yet the very same populace broke a sacred contract. It made him discard the idea. A quaint, simple life with Childe- his beloved mortal-turned-adeptus… That’s what he wants now. Whatever war the Tsaritsa planned against Celestia, it will surely affect the Nation of Liyue.

However, Zhongli was bound by his own promise. He will only be involved if Childe will be caught with the said war. For now, Childe’s welfare and safety mattered more than anything else.

What about Liyue?

They can suffer. After all, they’ve already broken a contract. They can suffer the Wrath of the Rock, indirectly. The Adepti knew, he told them. Liyue will be under the governance of the Qixing, and the Adepti are no longer bound to protect them. There were protests, but they know that Morax’s judgment was the right one.

After all, betrayal comes with a heavy price.

The sea knew.

The salt knew.

And now, the Nation of Stalwart Stone will know.

Notes:

THANK YOU FOR READING THIS UNTIL THE END.
Thank you to all the Kudos and Comments!
We have reached the end of this fic.
Tune in for more :D
---
My twt handle is @graphyroangst :D

Series this work belongs to: